View Rates

2. Mortgages

4.4/5 (130 ratings)

About Better Mortgage

Better offers an online mortgage lending program for borrowers in select states across the nation. The company doesn’t charge lender fees or incentivize its officers with commissions (meaning they shouldn’t try to sell you a loan larger than you need), and it has a referral discount program for its customers.

Pros

• Referral discount program
  • No lender fees or commissions
  • No prepayment penalty

Cons

• Not available in all areas
  • VA and USDA loans not available

Bottom Line

Better specializes in online mortgage applications and approvals with no lender fees or commissions. Though it doesn’t offer VA or USDA loans, it partners with over 25 lenders and investors to help find rates to suit you.

Better Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Better Mortgage?

Original review: July 27, 2021

I like Better Mortgage's platform as far as their online portal. Everything seems pretty easy. Everybody provided excellent service during the process and I loved it. Everything was fast too. I made an offer at the end of May and closed on July 13th. There were no delays with Better Mortgage but there were a couple of delays on my title company with the inspection or the appraisal and the elevation certificate. I told people to look into Better Mortgage.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Sandra!

Original review: July 26, 2021

The mortgage process with Better Mortgage was really smooth. It was online and really easy. The rates and terms were good and fair for what I put down.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Logan!

Original review: July 22, 2021

I wanted to get a 15 years conventional loan and I was looking for a rate that I needed. When I searched, Better Mortgage came back and gave me 10 different rates. I just picked, "Okay, I want 2% in 15 years," and clicked on "next." I did it on the 7th and I closed on the 25th. The process was too simple. Even on the day that we were closing my loan, I wasn't sure if it was true. I just refinanced a couple of years ago and I got an officer who sent me information and what he needed. With Better Mortgage, everything was online. I uploaded everything and it was definitely much better, but it felt weird. I struggled with one thing that I needed to get too. Other than that, I freaked out. I didn't know who my servicer was and that was the only thing I was scared of.

At the beginning, there were a few people calling, and at the end, Lauren called to make sure I got everything. However, it would be nice to get one or more calls from someone following up to make sure, "I know you got everything done, but is there anything else that you have questions?" If I have a question, I just email and then a rep replies back. My loan has been sold to Fannie Mae and Mr. Cooper as the new servicers. I understand that, in order to get more loans coming in, Better Mortgage has to sell to a different company, but I don't know how my tax is gonna be paid and all my escrow. Are the new servicers gonna receive those income to be able to pay for the tax or insurance? I'm worried about that.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review, Kimmie!

Original review: July 19, 2021

We've been waiting weeks to close our simple refinance, but every step of the way has been plagued by Better's incompetence, whilst they continually blame other parties for the delay. For example after chasing up, Better claimed the delay was down to our current lender failing to respond to them for weeks, but in fact that company confirmed that they had only just received the request the day before. Another delay was due to their not even providing an address for the current lender to send the documents. Finally we were told that the loan was ready to close and we selected a timeslot for the notarized signing of paperwork, but that appointment wasn't kept and now they are claiming that issues with a subordination agreement mean they need to restructure the loan. This loan still hasn't closed and with every fiber of our being we regret using Better.com!

Better Mortgage response

Hey Paul, I am very sorry to hear about your experience and totally understand the frustration. Thank you for making me aware of this. I'm sending your feedback to our team so we can make some improvements for the future. If you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to reach out to us at support@better.com.

Original review: July 18, 2021

I was checking around online and I got a whole list of places and Better Mortgage was one of the best. I checked the reviews for Better and they were all really good. I did a refinance and the whole process was sort of daunting. I never necessarily felt super comfortable, but everything flowed really well. So, it worked okay. Their team was available by text or email and even by phone. So, that was perfect.

Thank you!

Original review: July 17, 2021

I was looking to refi my house and Better Mortgage was responded to my inquiry through the web. I was able to work with their team to get the rates down to what I was looking for. I was pleased with the rates I got as that was one of the qualifying criteria for me. I enjoyed their process because everything was online. Everything was on one portal page and the team made themselves available so that I knew who to go to for certain things. The application and underwriting process took 40 days max. Most of the time was on me getting the documentation together.

My concerns were handled efficiently, either through email and/or callbacks. I was pleased with how quickly the responses were coming in. Overall, Better Mortgage has a well-put-together process and I was comfortable going through it. The only thing for improvement would be the initial conversations with who the primary agent was and managing the whole process A to Z type of deal. There should be some conversation to assure that we are talking to the right company and the right people at that point. Other than that Better Mortgage has a smooth workflow and they are efficient. They have a very competent team doing the work and handling the back office work and paperwork.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review!

Original review: July 16, 2021

The process was super fast. The rep helped with any of my questions, directing me to the right people. At one point, there was a credit that wasn't showing up in my portal and he got it all handled, made sure it came through, and followed up once it was done. Overall, I was really pleased. The way Better Mortgage's system is set up kind of walks you through everything that you need to do with the tasks. I'm a task-oriented person so I loved the list. It worked out.

Thank you, Alecia!

Original review: July 15, 2021

Better Mortgage had a better web app and the information was all transparent online. It was very easy to use and get good information about the loan without having to go through the hurdles of dealing with back and forth and lots of phone calls. I've had four mortgages in my lifetime and usually, it sucks. Better Mortgage's technology was that much better. I was not having to spend 20 minutes on a phone call with somebody doing stuff that I know I could load in. The reps did what they needed to do and gave me the information upfront. The process was fast and it didn't seem janky or like somebody was trying to trick me.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: July 14, 2021

The rep was professional and followed up. I would recommend Better Mortgage.

Thank you!

Original review: July 13, 2021

It was good with Better Mortgage except for one thing. They have issues understanding bank statements. The back-end teams managing the actual statements kept denying them. All the people helped, but once they get sent to back-end, they kept doing the same mistake over and over. I had to contact them a lot to get that resolved. Otherwise, we wouldn't have made the timeline.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: July 12, 2021

Better Mortgage's website was very easy to navigate and they got back to me quickly. I could see the numbers right in front of me online and the process didn't take very long. However, we switched things a couple of times which I didn't understand. I was wondering why those numbers were changing often. That was kind of the only holdup but after that, everything was easy.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review, Priscilla!

Original review: July 11, 2021

I liked the process with Better Mortgage. I also had an assistant I could contact at any time that would help me with any issues. Sometimes I had answered certain questions in the survey and it would then ask me those questions again. She would contact me and say, “It's not in there so we already put it in there,” and she would see that it was there. Better Mortgage stayed in constant contact when I had tasks in my box. They would double-check with me on certain things there. As we got down to the wire, they would remind me that I needed to have certain stuff in by certain times.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review! Happy to hear you enjoyed your process.

Original review: July 10, 2021

I like working with Better Mortgage so far. They've saved me money on a monthly basis. The process was very fast, and it was online pretty much so it was good. I used to have either email or phone conversation with my rep mostly at the beginning. Then there was somebody else who had a good follow-up on all my questions. The costs were nice too. I did compare with couple of other lenders, and Better Mortgage's was the best.

Thank you!

Original review: July 9, 2021

Better Mortgage had one of the better rates and my first interaction with the first person I talked to went well and made me feel comfortable. However, after the fact, they send out way too much junk mails about getting some type of mortgage insurance. I look at an envelope every day for three weeks straight, and that was annoying and a waste of paper.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: July 8, 2021

Better Mortgage had the most competitive rates. However, every time I wanted to speak with my loan officer, I did speak to someone else and sometimes they didn't know my predicament. It would be a lot of long-winded waits on the phone, and then it'd be, "Let me give you a call back when he's free." It was good and bad. Everyone is all hands on deck but sometimes, they were kind of out of the loop with my situation. Since so many other people were handling my account rather than just my loan officer, I got a lot of back and forth suggestions on what I should do for specific tasks. It was good, but sometimes frustrating 'cause I was doing the same thing twice when I get different calls from different people asking for different things.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback, Savannah!

Original review: July 7, 2021

When I moved forward with Better Mortgage, I was happy that I got a good rate, and I locked it in. I liked the process because it told me if I had a task and based on the task, I needed to take care of A through B then I would upload it, et cetera. But in some cases, some of the tasks were vague. Even though I uploaded whatever they asked for, it wasn't specifically what they were looking for. The communication could have been a little bit more clear. But I like the system because it was encrypted. That made me feel more comfortable. Taking care of the privacy of my data was also impressive. I like that because they were always on top and concerned about breach of data confidentiality. That stood out really well compared to other banks which use conventional email for swapping out confidential information.

Better Mortgage assumed that I owned that company. They asked for a ledger on a company that was basic for consulting that I did for a company, and it was very short period. The underwriter was asking for way too much info that did not apply so that made it more complicated. I'm in the tech world so I know how to get around computers, capture files, upload them, and put all this stuff on to the cloud or encrypted data. There are a lot of individuals that could benefit off of the refi through Better Mortgage, but the issue is they don't have the same capabilities. They're not tech-savvy or they don't have the proper equipment for either scanning or converting to PDFs so it's difficult for them on their end.

Better Mortgage could develop a phone app where one could take a picture of documents that they want that would automatically upload it to the specific task that they're looking for. That would make it easier for a lot of people because then they could just get their phone, take a screenshot of the front, maybe of each page of the document, and it upload it to their system that's encrypted.

The rate and terms were one of the best. In some cases, if they could turn around and be a little bit less lenient when somebody wants to consolidate debt, then that would help out also. A lot of times, they look at debt to ratio. But if you pay off the debt, hypothetically, the debt to ratio is going to be a lot better. If they have control over it on their end and say that, "Okay, we're not going to let the client pay off the debt, we're going to pay off the debt," because then they can automatically see that once the debt is paid, the debt to ratio is pretty much within the borrowing limit.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your review!

Original review: June 29, 2021

The process at Better Mortgage was simple. I like that it was all online and I really didn't have to do much. Everyone was helpful. I would recommend them.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Whenever there was an outstanding, I used to get a call from someone and that they were waiting on me. I could see what was pending visually. Whoever I spoke to was really nice and knowledgeable. They helped me out very well. I was happy with the process.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Better Mortgage gave me good customer service and they were accessible all the time either by email or by phone. Everything was smooth. The online part of it was easy. They outline the task that you have to do. If you don't understand it, they get on the phone and help you with it. I'm not a young person so I've been through loans several times before so I knew what to expect. There was nothing that caught me by surprise. I have no concern going back with Better Mortgage. I would tell anybody to check with them if they're interested. I had a good experience with them.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks, James! We appreciate your review.

Original review: June 20, 2021

I went with Better Mortgage because of their ability to pay down points. I liked the programs that they had matched to what I was looking for. The application process is pretty easy. Most of the communications were online. I was able to sign up. It was even a Sunday that I did everything on the website. Then they got back ahold of me to confirm information. We really enjoyed the process. Communication was really good. I wish I could have stuck with the same agent through the whole process. There was a point where I had a really good agent. Then there was a point that once I got into the final underwriting, I got into a specialist in that field and communication kind of dropped off. But the process still moved along at a pretty good rate. We're happy with Better Mortgage.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Michael! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 19, 2021

My loan was not for a huge amount for some lenders and I had difficulty qualifying but the team at Better worked with me to roll in my closing cost so that I was eligible for financing. They tried to figure out what my goals were and how best to help me. The whole loan team was very efficient, professional, and quick. I appreciate that I was able to get through the process and do tasks and stuff online at my convenience. It helped the process go by pretty quickly and they were very communicative and checked in. It was a great overall experience.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review! Let us know if there's anything we can help with in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2021

Better listed the full array of rates/points options from the very start. This saved a tremendous amount of time otherwise spent "bargaining" with a loan consultant and attracted me to the company immediately. A sidebar with "Tasks" keeps the client up to date on what Better needed, and all documents could be uploaded easily online. A series of team members are available for each step - consulting, processing, closing - and remain readily available and responsive for guidance if needed.

Having come to the table with a game plan, a spreadsheet with an amortization schedule, and calls to several other companies, Better quickly appealed. Exceptionally clear and straightforward, the process left me feeling completely in control. Even a novice, however, can negotiate the process easily with confidence. With no commissions complicating cost, there are no hidden agendas or fees. Estimations regularly updated, and I found the refinancing to be surprisingly pleasant. I locked in my rate and closed 27 days later. A notary came to my house with paperwork to close the deal. I would absolutely turn to them again when needed and recommend the service to anyone seeking refinancing. Better was best with an easy and effective process.

Better Mortgage response

Thanks for the review, Gary! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 18, 2021

We had an awful experience with Better Mortgage. In the end, we refinanced 2 mortgages and received excellent rates BUT it was a terribly painful experience. The beginning of the experience with Better was good while they collected our information and started the application process. Once we were approved the closing process was terrible. Better continually made mistakes with paperwork, providing wrong information, providing the wrong paperwork, Title errors, and even funding and closing one of the mortgages BEFORE the paperwork was correct, complete, or signed! We ended up paying $1,000s more than necessary that needed to be refunded to us in the end.

Their closing "expert" only had 9 months of mortgage experience. Even after escalating the issues to management (this took 5 requests via email and phone before management was made aware) then things started to smooth out but errors did continue. It took 3 months to close both mortgages which resulted in our having to keep generating documents for them (i.e. current bank account balances, etc.) Honestly I cannot recommend using Better Mortgage unless you are extremely familiar with the process and can check all your documentation yourself for accuracy.

It took 7 visits from a notary to our house (during COVID) to get all the correct papers to us to be signed. They would keep coming with the wrong docs from the title company. We did not appreciate having these strangers coming to our house bringing a possible COVID exposure. Even after the closure, there continue to be complications as the loan servicers keep changing and in one case one of our loans has already been sold to Freddie Mac. The good news is we are locked in on 1.75% for 15 years on our home and 2.5% for 30 years on our investment property.

Better Mortgage response

Hey Andrew, so sorry to hear about the frustration. Please feel free to reach out to our Client Success Team at support@better.com if there's anything else that comes up. In the meantime, I'm sending your feedback to our team so we can improve in the future.

Original review: June 18, 2021

They were very fast in responding and the online application was clear. I know exactly what I have to do and it was a very easy website to upload documents. They assigned me a representative once I filled up the application and that person was in contact with me. He was really good. I dealt with him halfway through the process and another young lady took his place. There was a little bit of a slower response when she took on his account, but I imagine that was part of the handing over. Once she got on the account, it was pretty smooth. Also, it was a quick turnaround. I didn't even have to have an appraisal because the loan amount was much less than the value of the property. They used some sort of system to look at the value of the property online.

Thank you!

Original review: June 17, 2021

Better is really straightforward with the rates, providing us estimates, and all those kinds of things and the online experience was really easy. The process was easy to manage and it's straightforward online to know what to do next. They didn't have to call us and tell us what we need to do. The couple of times we heard from their rep, it was just to check in and make sure things were going well.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Andrew! Happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I’ve never done that kind of transaction online before and it seemed to work out fine. Continuing to communicate with them made me comfortable. They answered whatever questions I had. I'm still in the dark about who my actual final mortgage company is going to be. It's a little confusing, because it has been two companies since Better Mortgage. But I'm happy with the rate. I just need to just make sure who I actually am going to be paying my mortgage payments to.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for your feedback, Wendy. Let us know if there is anything we can help with in the future and looking forward to working with you again!

Original review: June 15, 2021

My experience with Better Mortgage was excellent from the second I got to their site. I received an alert from another company indicating a major rate dip for 15 year refinances, which I had been tracking for close to a year. I quickly searched and came across Better Mortgage. They quoted a ridiculously low rate - so I jumped at it. Sign-up was quick and simple, and I was able to lock 1.875% on a 15yr refinance THE SAME DAY. A TEAM of people was immediately assigned to me and they reached out within the same 24 hours that I signed up. Better Mortgage has PERFECTED the refinance process, and guided me along. If I had a question, I emailed my team and received a response WITHIN THE SAME HOUR. For most companies, replying within TWENTY-FOUR hours is considered ok -- nope -- not for Better. Within 1 hour was my experience with just about every single communication I sent.

The reps I had - I'll only say a first name - Carly - was flat out the best rep I've ever dealt with. Quick, pleasant, reassuring, confident, HAPPY TO HELP me. I had to communicate with her a few times at the end as there was confusion on the final closing payout, and even though that area is not Carly's responsibility, she reached out and helped me anyway. The other 2-3 reps assigned to me were also amazing and quick. I swear, the next time I refinance or purchase a different home, my immediate choice will be Better Mortgage. I can't thank Carly and everyone there for such a positive experience.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Daniel!

Original review: June 15, 2021

I did the cash-out with Better Mortgage and the requirements were changed since the last time I did apply for the loan for self-employed. Everybody was great. It's just that they have to follow protocol. I never imagined it was this difficult for a self-employed to apply for loans. Nonetheless, I like them.

Thank you, Sandra!

Original review: June 14, 2021

My application with Better Mortgage was fairly easy to upload but there was some kind of algorithm check, then the computer held on one thing, so I had to reach out to one of the reps to help me get through the checkpoint. But it worked out and the process throughout was pretty good, depending on who your point of contact at the given phase is. That person may or may not be as responsive as the previous person. At first, the person I was in contact with was easy to get ahold of and easy to communicate with. Then I got an email saying that from that point on, my new point of contact was going to be another person. And that person was a little less convenient as far as working with my schedule.

But other than that, it was a really good experience. You get a decent rate with Better Mortgage compared to working with a traditional lender from the bank. But then you have to be willing to do some of the stuff and expect less handholding. I've worked in the past with lenders from the bank where you can call and they hold your hand through everything. With Better Mortgage, you don't get that level of customer service, but I didn't have an issue with that. And if you go with them, you have to be somewhat savvy on the computer. If you're 75, you don't stand a chance.

Original review: June 13, 2021

Very happy with the speed and ease of this refinance. No hidden fees. Everything ended as it started with on the estimate. Everything was online, on my schedule until the final physical signing. Great.

Better Mortgage response

Thank you for the review Paul! Let us know if there is anything we can help with in the future.

Better Mortgage Company Information