2. Mortgages

Bank of America Mortgage

Bank of America Mortgage
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.17/5
Based on 1,400 ratings submitted in the last year

Bank of America offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity loan, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

BOTTOM LINE

Bank of America is one of the three largest banks in the U.S. It provides mortgage loans, loan refinancing and home equity loans for consumers in every state.

PROS

• Loan specialists online or in-store
  • Multiple loan types available
  • Adjustable rates as low as 2.6%

CONS

• Best rates only for top credit scores

Top Bank of America Mortgage Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

For years I dissuaded my clients from using the big banks for home loans. I recently had a client who insisted upon using Bank of America. I was amazingly surprised. Brian ** - major, the loan officer with Bank of America in Rockwall, TX did a fantastic job. It was pain-free and the deal closed EARLY!

I just recently bought a house under Bank of America home loan program. My loan officer was Kevin **.... the service Kevin and his team provided was excellent. Communication … was superb. I would recommend any of my friends Bank of America home loan especially Kevin ** and his team.

How does Bank of America Mortgage work?

Bank of America Mortgage offers consumers mortgage loans, loan refinancing and home equity loans. Bank of America Mortgage handles:

• Fixed-rate mortgages
    • Adjustable-rate mortgage
    • Jumbo loans
    • Affordable Loan Solution mortgages
    • FHA and VA loans

To prequalify for a Bank of America mortgage, visit its website and fill out the prequalification application to see how much you’re eligible to borrow. If you’re already prequalified, complete the loan application to pursue a Bank of America mortgage. Along with other financial documents, you need to provide:

• Proof of income
    • Tax returns
    • Credit history

Bank of America Mortgage rates and fees

Bank of America mortgage rates vary depending on your overall creditworthiness, but annual percentage rates (APRs) start at around 3% for adjustable-rate mortgages, 3.25% for 15-year fixed mortgages and 4% for 30-year fixed mortgages.

To find out what interest rate and APR you’re eligible for, contact a loan specialist or visit Bank of America’s website and fill out the loan application.

Bank of America FAQ

Is Bank of America good for mortgages?
    Many reviewers appreciate Bank of America’s mortgage options. The company offers multiple types of mortgages to fit homebuyer needs. The company also employs loan specialists who offer advice both online and at physical locations.
    What are the mortgage rates for Bank of America?
    Bank of America’s interest rates vary depending on market rates, your qualifications and the type of mortgage you’re applying for. Adjustable-rate mortgages start at around 2.6%.
    What credit score does Bank of America require for a mortgage?
    Bank of America doesn’t state a credit score requirement on its website, but you can consult a loan specialist to see whether you qualify based on your credit score.
    What are Bank of America Mortgage’s customer service hours?
    Bank of America Mortgage’s customer service hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST.

Is Bank of America Mortgage good?

Bank of America Mortgage offers multiple types of mortgage loans as well as refinancing and home equity loans. If you’re searching for a lender with comprehensive online services and widespread branch locations, Bank of America Mortgage could be the right partner for your homebuying journey.

Bank of America Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

Lender - If the call is dropped and you have my call information then return the call. At least pretend to want to help an already existing bank customer. Note that folks always remember poor customer service. I may not have millions at your institute but what I do have can always be moved to a place that values their customers.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I have a mortgage with BoA and I recently took advantage of the postponement program they were offering to people who are having a hard time during this pandemic. 3 months of payments postponed which was great, but do not do this. They sent me a letter stating my three months were up and if I needed any more assistance. With some good luck, I was able to secure a new job and didn't need assistance anymore.

The letter said, "if you don't need any more assistance, please start making payments by August 15th to bring your account current." Made my payment on August 4th, they debited it from my BoA checking account without delay. Made another payment in September and they still haven't applied both payments to my account. I've called multiple times and I get the same answer. My customer relations manager at BoA, Robert ** told me there is a system issue and that's why the funds haven't applied. He admitted this on the phone to me with all the other representatives.

I was supposed to have a nice big wedding this year, but that got cancelled because of covid. Did a small ceremony at home. Trying to buy a home with my wife and the new mortgage company says the system says I'm late on my payments. I am not! I have the statements showing I paid. BoA wouldn't even issue a letter stating my account is current. The manager declined because they don't want to admit fault.

Now in order to get the house of our dreams, I have to be excluded from the loan and my father in law has to co sign for us to get this house. Absolutely ridiculous! This is the type of service a big corporation gives its loyal customers. They can't even fix this mess in a timely manner and they don't have the decency to admit it in writing because they know they will be sued. Do not use them. I am leaving them as soon as I can get out of this loan.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

We were with B of A for some time and asked for refinance at the much lower rates many were refinancing on. They started the process. Week after week we checked back they said our lower rate was almost finished, come to find out, they sold our mortgage out of state, to a lender with high rate and didn't let you use your house equity to upgrade the home. Terrible experience.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

CITI electronic payment not applied -BofA could't find $$$. I made an electronic bill payment to my Bank Of America account from CITI bill pay. CITI removed the dollars from my account when they had a clear receipt that BofA cleared the funds. I entered my checking on the BofA account code. The BofA never applied the payment to my account. I called Bank Of America and they said that they don't know where the dollars went. They claimed that they did not receive the funds. They couldn't find any payment. Neither bank could tell me what happened to the payment. Bank Of America was useless in resolving my issue. I had to wait for 1.5 hrs for the mortgage to answer the call. And all that they could is...that they don't know what happened to the funds. Very frustrating bank.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

We have never been able to qualify for a business loan despite having a credit score over 770. They have discriminated against us because our Real estate investments are in the inner city. The bank only approves us for high-interest credit cards in our personal names and not our business name.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

My first mistake was refinancing with BOA. My original loan was with them in 2013, as well as a previous refinance in 2018. In 2018, they had issues with remembering basic requests that I had. This time around in August 2020, they failed miserably to pay attention to detail. With COVID, most of the communication during the process is either by phone, or via their chat thread in the BOA site itself. I had to resend the same information multiple times.

The biggest failure was with the title. During three separate phone calls and two threads, I especially mentioned that I was to be solely on the title and all docs. I had assumed they prepared the final docs correctly. I made the mistake of taking the final loan disclosure (6 pages) sent as doctrine. I should have asked to review the entire packet. The best advise I can give is to specially document your requests in the thread, and to insist that the final loan docs be reviewed prior to signing. I am so irritated that just in spite, after the refinance is finalized next week, I am going to refinance again just to get away from BOA.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I was told my mortgage could go on forbearance for 3 months during the pandemic... Not only NOT TRUE but I was put into credit for nonpayment. I spoke to Melinda **, Denise **, Calvin **, William **, Dominick, Shawna **. A Shanika ** Never answers her phone or call me back. Actually a Supervisor named Melinda ** told you, "Do NOT have to call anymore. We will take care of it," that was July 3 in June. Bank of America hot my credit again, Also as I was calling and getting nowhere, they hit me with a $17.50 charge twice sending someone to my home to make sure it was in good condition since I did not make my payments. I was on the phone with the managers & supervisors above since end of March.. Now I have been on hold for an hr and sent to the wrong dept. 3xs trying to get the $35.00 taken off...NIGHTMARE!

Original review: July 15, 2020

If I could give it negative stars I would. Most onerous, inefficient, confusing process imaginable. It took over 50+ emails & communications back and forth over a period of more than 85 days -- to refinance a mortgage that was ALREADY held at Bank of America. Underwriter would demand a piece of documentation at 4:30 pm and threaten that if it wasn't uploaded by the next morning, our loan would be cancelled. This happened at least 20 times. Even after closing (signed docs, transferred funds), Bank of America continued to demand additional documentation before finalizing the mortgage - with our funds in hand! Representative & manager were completely useless. They were just playing telephone with the underwriter.

None of the requests were collated or organized and many of the requests did not align with what was being requested via the web portal. So we ended up having to upload many things twice because it was requested via the web portal but then the underwriter would claim it wasn't uploaded because their interface didn't show them what was uploaded in the portal and the underwriter would request it again. I will NEVER use Bank of America mortgage again. I don't care if they offer a full % off the going rates.

Original review: July 9, 2020

Currently with Bank of America, some of the problems I have had with them are they wouldn't allow me to purchase my own home owners insurance, or well they would let me purchase it, they just wouldn't accept it as the policy and they refused to work with my insurance agent to figure it, so they could sell me their own double the cost insurance. Lots of fun they are.... Now trying to refi the loan and the loan officer offered one rate during the whole process and then when we accept the offer she says the rates suddenly went up, even though the fed has lowered rates daily during the virus and they aren't going up anywhere else but Bank of America.... I asked where I could review the rates for refi and they will not explain or allow the consumer to see the rates and they make them up based on what the cost of their new boat will be.... I would NOT choose bank of america, I chose a local bank and they sold the mortgage to bank of america....

Original review: June 4, 2020

My loan officer Mark *** was extremely unorganized. I spoke with him at one point and he said I was approved for a certain amount by myself, then the next day when I spoke with him he told me something different. I then at that moment have to put my fiance on the loan with me. He said he would call him right away because I had explained to him that the home we wanted was needing us to get the approval letter fixed with my fiance's name on it, then they would sign a contract with us. Mind you this was a 830AM. While I was on the phone, my real estate lady said that someone put in a cash offer for the house and that they liked us more, but we had to get the approval fixed THAT DAY. Otherwise they would have took the other offer. I needed things done fairly quickly and I emailed/ called and no answer and my fiance didn't hear anything from him either yet.

Time went on and we were running out of time. He would not call back, he would not email back. It got to the point where I had to call his supervisor and request that I get someone new. They first refused me someone new, then after it was 1PM now and I hadn't heard anything and neither my fiance. I called again and spoke to someone else, I asked for a new guy then they were going to give me a new guy but all of a sudden Mark was calling my fiance. After everything was said and done and fixed the approval letter. My real estate agent needed some paperwork from Mark. He did not send the correct paperwork at first. Then he send the correct paperwork but with the incorrect numbers on it. Not to also mention that he was quoting us at a crazy amount of money to pay him up front.

Long story short. We went with a different bank that was way more organized and helpful and emails/calls me within about 5 minutes if I have a concern. BUT WAIT. THE STORY DOESN'T END THERE. After I told him that we were not going to use BOA for our loan and not use him for the loan officer. Then, he was emailing me like crazy fast. I was honest with him about how I felt about him and the experience and told him that my fiance and I went with a different lender and different bank. He said ok thanks. 2 WEEKS later he sent an email and called me asking if we were still in the market for a lender. I messaged him back and said my point exactly, you have documentation that I went with a new lender 2 weeks ago and now you are asking me if we are in the market for a new lender. EXTREMELY UNORGANIZED! In which at that point, I decided to write this review.

Bank of America Mortgage Company Information