Bank of America Mortgages
1.84/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Bank of America Mortgages

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

2822 Bank of America Mortgages Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

This bank screwed my life back in 2014. They damaged my credit and all the reputation that I worked hard for it till then. They offered me to sell my house on Short-Sale programs and wait till the house is sold. During that time, not only they refused all the buyers for a different reason or lack of their responsibilities, also, after sometimes they put my house for sale on the local Auction listing. My house had a new owner from the auction sale and I did not know anything about it. As of today, I am still trying to fix my credit. No knowledgeable attorney did help me to fight them back. I do really hate the system like this and people like Bank Of America. I could name them better in my way. I will talk louder one day no matter how old is this case.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

In 2017 we fell victim to hurricane Irma and were hit hard here in Naples FL. We incurred a lot of damage to our home which just fell under what insurance would cover as a minimum ($8,000). The burden of fixing all the damage had to be paid out of pocket. We gained hope when we found out Bank of America offered mortgage forgiveness for 3 months in the form of forbearance. I was skeptical at first because I’ve never missed any payments or have even been late. I was worried about the repercussions on my credit score which I’ve worked hard to maintain 800s. I was reassured by BOA associates on several occasions this would not have any effect on my credit.

Going against everything I’ve known I stopped paying my mortgage for three months and used that money to repair my home. I would periodically get phone calls from their “forbearance” loan associates who would start every conversation by mandatorily stated they were a debt collection agent. This was very unsettling but again I was reassured my credit would not be affected. Prior to the end of forbearance agreement I sold my house and settled my loan with BOA with the equity from the sale. Fast forward three months when doing a credit check and I discover my credit score dropped 200 points to 600. Reason for the drop? Wait for it... Failure to make mortgage payment for three months! Thank you Bank of America for destroying my credit! I will NEVER use them again! Lied to me the entire time.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Instead of helping me they sold my mortgage to an inhumane lender. Think twice about Bank of America. I wish I had. It's all about greed and NOT FAMILIES.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

They did not clean their fraud in my loan. Robo signing Robo stamping and two programs in the same time... loan modification and refinance. Impossible not to have their accounting wrong and they never verify and correct their errors or mistakes. Complete denial of their responsibility.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

The re-fi took forever. Customer service/support has been terrible. No one seems to have the ability to make decisions or answer questions. I want to change banks but not worth the effort, energy or time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

BOA is the WORST mortgage lender. They don't keep customers apprised of PERTINENT information. When applying for Loan Modification, there is NO TRUTH TO THEIR PROCESS. I would NOT recommend BOA!!!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Our mortgage originated with a credit union which sold it to BofA. Everything went smoothly but communication was sometimes a little slow, especially when payoff time came last fall. But overall okay.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We've been with B of A for over 10 years now, as our Countrywide mortgage was sold, and have had numerous issues with them, including not posting payments to our account. When We figure it out, it's just "simple mistakes" on their part, or our fault for some reason or another. One time they put our payment toward a late fee from the previous month, let the remainder of our payment sit unapplied and caused us another late fee, and then saying we didn't pay for that month! They finally found it in an unapplied status, but did nothing about it, only saying they could not accept a partial payment.

We are a medium income family, with 2 kids, and not always able to make our payments on time. So now, we go to make our online payment for August 2018, and the site will not accept the payment. We call the next day and are told our house is in foreclosure status, And has been since December of 2017. We had never received any communication from them! No one could answer our questions as to how this happened. After about a week of trying to get to the bottom of it, and asking them for a detailed report showing our payments for comparison, they said they needed $4,440 in 10 days to cover foreclosure and attorneys fees.

We've sent the money, now waiting for the next set of lies. Since really digging into this with them, they finally sent a foreclosure letter by certified mail, and it states payment issues began in May, not December, and somehow we again have unpaid payments and unapplied funds. Not seen a detailed report yet, when asked for one, they sent a payoff amount. We really want a lawyer, this is ridiculous, and in my opinion, criminal. Everyone we talk to there says something different! Now we wait and see what happens...

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

My loan was purchased by BoA. In the process 4 of my mortgage payments were “lost”. After a lawyer and bank records, still have not found payments. Had to repay.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Bank of America took over the loan with Countrywide and from the beginning had us behind which I proved multiple times that we were not. They ruined my and my wife's credit, they lied to us. Made promises that were not kept. Biggest fraudulent company with high paid bonuses from ripping people off. Still do!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Original home loan issued by Bank of America, unaware Country Wide Mortgage services were involved on this loan in 2009, after investigation reimbursed fees and false actions during loan process. Loyal Bank of America customer over 40 years. Bank of America quickly sold current Home Mortgage to Carrington Mortgage Services in March 2018, total disregarding my loyalty to Bank of America, without approval, this immediate action caused financial issues delaying payment each month. Carrington Mortgage Services charges late fees and $20.00 process fees. Very disappointed with Bank of America how they have total disregard in Customer Service and commitment. WE NEED MANDATED CONSUMER FINANCIAL SERVICES investigating these unprofessional actions and Behaviors.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Ok, but leaves less questions about the future of the home, improve the terms by making it work for all the customers by being prepared for unexpected changes if needed!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I applied for a modification and they had me wait almost a year to tell me I wasn't eligible so I went into bankruptcy to save my home. Terrible service.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

There were frustrating moments when I could not get straight answers regarding the process after pre-approval. This was probably because two or three separate departments were handling my application. Sometimes one had no idea what the other was doing. In the end things worked out.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We had to redo the paperwork more than 4 times. They kept trying to have us sign documents that were incorrect. Then their people got upset that we wanted things like our full names on the forms. To complete the process took over 90 days for a simple refinance on our home. When all of this was finished we get another addendum because they found some other mistakes we didn't catch. This was too expensive and too time consuming to ever do with them again.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

In 2007 Bank of America asked to be my mortgage lender at the then going rate (5.5%) offering to waive all fees if I agree to switch from GE Capital. As interest rates subsequently declined, the bank offered refinancing via mail flyers approximately once a month or so wanting 1 point plus the usual fees. I never refinanced with them and also cancelled all my bank and brokerage accounts with this bank for other reasons.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

When we got the loan, we were told we would pay mortgage insurance for 11 years. More like life of loan. Refinance to 20 year loan and got rid of mortgage loan. Also they hold 6 months Escrow but by law should be 2 months. Also got rid of it too.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Have been a customer of BOA for more than 20 years, and lived in several places. They have taken care of us, and given options for our current needs. Can tell when you reach trainees, but they have all been polite and will continue to follow up to resolve conflicts. Feel confident with them.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

At last moment when closing is few days away and after they have charge for appraisal and everything they refuse the loan without giving good reason. I tried to call the number provided but always answering machine and left several messages but no reply.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

We did a reverse mortgage 2011 because it was our primary servicer. They promptly dumped the rev mtg dept after they accrued enough to sell to Champion Mortgage, a lousy company.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

They sold my Disabled Senior Widowed Aunt a Predatory Mortgage in 2009! I fought it for 9 years. She just recently died of a Broken Heart, because their last Loan Servicing Company Auctioned her home in Feb. 26, 2018... She passed on March 6th, 2018. It was verified that it was in fact "Predatory Lending".

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

We tried a refinance and it was terrible. Sent paperwork to different people only for them to lose it. Nobody can make a decision but the underwriters. It was terrible went on for 3 months. I was receiving calls every other day to send more information. They would say didn't receive it or it got lost. And I had my mortgage with B of A for years.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Was not able to refinance house after doing and filing all of the paperwork, going into the bank, phone calls and no response. Had to go with another company to get refinancing.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

In trying to sell my house in 2008 with the mortgage mess, they assumed I defaulted and wrapped my mortgage up in their mess. Couldn't unwind it because they would not oblige or cared. Shamefully embarrassed by their mess of foreclosing when I had buyers waiting for their move. Never came. Incompetent business.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

They took over my TB&W mtg and said I missed a payment. I show them a yr's worth of statements that proved I paid. They wouldn't accept it. Destroyed my credit! Took a yr for them to accept that I paid. Collection calls 10 x a day!! Horrible!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I had to submit papers that had already been submitted multiple times. Frustrating! There must be an easier, better-streamlined way of applying and obtaining financing without the paperwork occupying the majority of the days/weeks.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Phone system is terrible. Can’t reach the same employee again due to Central American call center & foreign 3rd parties. Because of terrible pay scales, BOA can NOT keep qualified Professionals! They quit after being trained on the public guinea pigs! Terrible! Never again!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Loan officer would not respond to me, and his supervisor had to be contacted. Finally, things got done, but not a happy experience at the beginning. Communication between agents and loan officer is so important.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Bank of America gave me misleading information and poor service when I requested that my satisfied line of credit be terminated and the lien released. On June 28, I went to the bank requesting a lien release. They got on the phone and told me that there was an $8.00 fee. I gave the person at the desk $8.00 and was told to come back the following week after the $8.00 in cash had cleared the bank. I returned 2 weeks later since I had been out of town, and was given a "letter of satisfaction". I was told that the lien release would not go through until July 30. When I called in at the end of July I was told it would be another 15 days. 2 weeks later I returned to the bank and was told that the account had been closed July 30 and that it would be yet another 45 days until the lien was released. No one at the bank seems to know what is going on and they deliver truly poor service.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I received my last Mortgage Statement in July, I had made several payments straight toward my principal so I could pay it off early. When I received the statement in June for July balance of Mortgage. The payment is due on the 1st considered late after the 16th, I wrote the check on July 5. The statement came with a different payment address than the payment would normally be sent. So I look at my online account on July 13. No check posted, called Bank of America, spoke with a lady and she said she saw no check waiting to be posted, to check back on the 16th. When I called on the 16th, spoke with a guy who told me, "You can't pay your mortgage balance with a personal check, it must be a certified check on a wired payment", this was after being on hold for 27 minutes by the way.

The July statement made no mention of how the last payment should be made and the guy told me that they were writing up a payment affidavit for the last payment costing an additional $17 than the July Statement quoted. I got the wired information and immediately went to my credit union where they had to call and stay on hold for another 20 minutes because the guy failed to give them an address for the wired payment, and by the way this cost $25 to stop payment on the original check written and $15 to send a wired payment for the balance of my Mortgage.

I had them wire my last payment on July 16, 2018 and have not received my balance of my remaining escrow as of today, August 2. I want to point out that on the back of the July statement Bank of America states you will receive your remaining amount of escrow within 10 days of your last payment. NO MONEY AS OF TODAY. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH BANK OF AMERICA (BAD BANK).

Bank of America Mortgages Company Information