1.63/5

890 America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

I called on 4/15 to advise about having prescription lenses placed in designer frames. Placed on hold greater than 10 mins. Was told they could. Came into store today and was told they couldn't. Don't say yes one minute and no the next. Waste of my time.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I had an eye exam for contact lenses in the beginning of April, they told me my kind of contacts were not available that I have to wait for the trial pair to come in the mail. It's been almost 3 weeks and they still haven't gotten my contacts, not even the trial pair, I even paid extra for the eye care club. What are they being delivered on a pack mule? In this day in age of express shipping I should not have to wait over a month before I can actually get the product I paid handsomely for! I regret going to America's worst, any other place would have been better.

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My last two pairs of glasses have been a disaster. The frames are too weak to hold the lenses but they don't tell you that, Pair one, the lens fell out. I don't remember how many times. A gal in San Pedro had to fix them on one vacation. My newest pair Jan 2019 has been back for tightening three times. That is s a sign of of garbage materials. Now the left lens has fallen out and I have no idea where (they are primarily reading and I hang them from my neck). So tomorrow I'll go back and will get a big long sob story and then go to a different store.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I was so disappointed after being examined and receiving my glasses that prescription was wrong; had a second examine by a different doctor and after receiving second pair prescription was, again, wrong. It was insulting when employee “made an adjustment” (by taking lenses out and putting them back in, that doesn’t change prescription in any way). Only one test was performed to check my eye health - they obviously want you in and out. The cost is the same as Visionworks but at Visionworks they care so much not only about your vision but eye health. One star is WAY too much for America’s Best...

Original review: April 10, 2019

My husband and I have been customers of America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses for the last two years, even becoming "members" paying the extra fee. Two years ago I never received my contacts weeks after my husband had, so I called to report this. Fast forward to a month ago, when I called to report that this time I again did not receive my contacts when my husband did - and I was accused of lying about not receiving my contacts in the mail. And with a nasty tone being told I "have a history" of doing this.

After calling USPS myself to clarify the package had never been delivered, I called customer service to report this. The woman then told me the package in fact was returned to the America's Best facility as it never reached its destination. EXACTLY WHAT I WAS SAYING! This is NOT how a business should be treating its customers, and frankly left me feeling extremely disgusted. Accusing someone of lying and fraudulent behavior? There is NO excuse for this. I barely received an apology from the employee, and was never offered reimbursement or any sort of incentive to continue my business with this company. Needless to say I will NOT be returning, and recommend others to stay away.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses?

Original review: April 5, 2019

I went to America's Best in Henrietta NY and I was requesting an exam for contacts and eyeglasses. We went through the entire exam and the dr told me that we were finished and to go ahead and pick out my glasses. And I said I made it clear from the time I set appt that I also wanted contacts, he simply said, "I don't recommend contacts to people with bifocal," and turned his back on me. I know many people with bifocal contact lenses and this doctor has no business telling me that I can't get them. I have now wasted my yearly exam on something I didn't get!!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

The first time I went here, they delivered my glasses with the wrong prescription. They sent them back and said they were "correct to the prescription". Problem was, the prescription, which they did, was wrong but I did not find this out at the time. I told them I didn't think it was correct but they insisted it was. I have special shooting glasses which use a removable RX insert. I had this cut to their prescription at a cost of $150. After finally having had enough of lousy vision, I went to a different AB store. They cut new glasses and I have never seen this clearly. Now I am attempting to recover the cost of my shooting glasses insert and AB refuses to even reply to emails or pick up the phone. They tell you to leave a message and they never call back. Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I recently purchased 2 pairs of eyeglasses at the Daytona Beach location. Kathy was very nice and helpful. The glasses came in right on time and I am satisfied. I had shopped around and their prices are lower than most places. They do get busy so get there when the store opens... I think they should be open on a Sunday with the volume of business they do. I will return there next time I need glasses.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I went to America's Best in Moline, IL because they advertised a free eye exam and two pair of glasses for like $59.99 or something like that. The first red flag was that the optometrist who examined me did it shockingly fast. I've never had such a fast eye exam and I have been wearing glasses since 2008. I was worried then that my prescription wouldn't be correct, but just brushed it off as he was fast because he was good at his job, after all, he does this all day. But sure enough, once my glasses came in the prescription was so wrong that they made me dizzy when wearing them. I even commented on it while in the store and the woman fitting me said there was a slight change in my prescription and that I probably just needed to wear them and get used to them. I tried. And they continued to make me dizzy and make my eyes ache.

So I went back and the same doctor gave me another 1-2 min eye exam and said he didn't give me the wrong prescription but that he was going to make "a slight adjustment". I asked if he included my slight astigmatism in the previous prescription because all the other optometrists had left it off my prescription, and he said "It was so slight I didn't mention it." Which I am not clear on if he meant he didn't mention it to me or in his prescription to the factory that makes the glasses.

At any rate, he says he made a slight change and I get them back a week later... They are a tiny bit better but I still feel as though they are not quite right and are straining my eyes. My eyes still bother me when I have them on and feel like they are really working to correct the miscalculation. I'm not sure of what to do at this point. I feel they should get them exactly right since I ended up spending almost 300 dollars when I thought I would only be spending about 100 tops, which is another issue altogether. I would say don't waste your money at this place and go somewhere where they will take their time with your exam because your eyes are too important for someone to just rush through an exam like that.

Original review: March 31, 2019

After going back 3 times to try & get my glasses adjusted to fit properly, I decided to choose new frames. I guess because they had already cashed my check 3 weeks prior, I was made to feel unimportant. Though there was no one there picking out glasses, M pulled C (who was helping me) aside to let her know she was not to spend a lot of time with me because they had 65 appointments scheduled. M didn't even try and talk so that I couldn't hear. C was nice and wanted to be helpful, but her superior would not allow it. Because I felt rushed, I now have another pair of glasses that don't fit correctly. When I went to pick them up, the receptionist was handing out glasses. She was doing her best, but not trained to do any adjustments. Just very poor management and service there. I've been there for my last time.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Great prices! WORST SERVICE!!!! The America's Best in Memphis on HWY 64 should be avoided at all cost. True the prices are nice, but good luck on getting what you pay for. I should have known that my frame order would go wrong when at the same time I was ordering, 2 customers came to pick up their glasses and got the wrong glasses back. I was told my glasses would take 2 weeks to arrive. Three weeks went by and no call. I called to check and heard "Oh they are on backorder." No one bothered to inform me of that, but cool. The next day they called to say the frames arrived. I drive 20 minutes to pick them up. When I left the store in the car I noticed they were bent on the side. I went back in and the only person (Robert) that can help you reorder is busy with walk in customer and wanted me to wait over 45 mins. for him to help me with my screwed up order. Even though there were 6 other workers there. 2 doing nothing at all!

So after 20 mins. I told another representative that if he could not help me now I will leave the frames here for him to do a reorder or I can get my money back. She said ok. I called hours later to see if he had reordered them, and he said yes but he fixed the frames I had. I drove another 20 mins. to get them, THEY WERE STILL BENT! I left before I tore the damn place up! The reordered frames came a week later. So all in all a damn MONTH to receive what I paid for!!! It’s idiotic to only have one person out of 6 people to be able to order and hand out customers purchases. WILL NEVER GO BACK!!! I even had to ask for a frame case for all my trouble.

Original review: March 27, 2019

The doctor prescribed me another brand of contacts than what I have worn in the past. However, the doctor said if I had problems with new brand to come back as that I have worn contacts for 100 years. Just joking but a long time. I have been this particular doctor prior to coming a patient of America's Best. This doctor had another practice before joining AB. So today, I go in to pick up contacts with my insurance. The contacts the doctor prescribed are suppose to be in stock in the store. However, today they are not in stock. So the young lady offers to order them for me and tell me it will be a week before they come in. I thought that was the reason I changed contacts so I didn't have to order and wait for them. Anyways, I said fine.

So, they bills my insurance for new contacts and proceeds to tell me that she will get me a trial pair until those come in since, they didn't have any in the store. So, the next thing I know, the optometrist on duty comes up in a very nasty way and says we cannot give any contact unless, you do another eye exam. Huh? She then goes on to say, that I never came back for a follow up exam for the new brand of contacts. I said, "Lady, I wasn't told I needed to come back for a followup. I was told if I had problems with the new brand of contracts to come back and I could switch back to my old brand." She sucks her teeth... I tell her and the young lady that was helping me that I was not going to do another eye exam since they seen I had new eye insurance. Scammers.

I asked for my order to be cancelled as to not to use up my benefits. Some guy then proceeds to ask what happen when he heard what happen. I told her just make sure that my visit there with insurance company was cancel. I will never good back there EVER. They just want to get as much money out your insurance as possible. Plus, customer is bad and employees are not trained properly.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I bought two pairs of glasses from America's Best. One pair of sunglasses (Digivue Elite) and one pair of day to day glasses (DigiVue Advanced). I was told I could not get Digivue Elite for my day to day glasses without paying extra for special lenses... This is not my first pair of progressives. I wore them for a week and found the quality of the field of view to be terrible. With my day to day glasses, I could not even read text on my phone without drastically moving my head to keep the text in focus. Something I Do Not Have To Do Now, with my current pair of progressives! The sunglasses, which are supposed to be even better than my day to day were even WORSE. I can barely read my phone and driving with them was so annoying and difficult since I could barely read anything on my dashboard without completely taking my eyes off the road to look directly at anything!

Needless to say, I returned the lenses despite the fact that I had to eat the $50 charge for the exam. Something that I also find offensive. If your product doesn't work, I should get a full refund. Either get the product right or refund all the money. Please save yourself the time and money and spend a little extra on glasses. I learned my lesson.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Do not count on anything they say as truth. My glasses always seemed to lose one lens. When you have not been in the store for a couple years, they send you a postcard with a coupon - Save $50 on Eyeglasses and another coupon - Free Eye Exam. When I took the $50 off coupon to America's Best, the 2 pairs of eyeglasses that they sell normally for $69, with an eye exam were now priced at $98 after being discounted $50. What a scam.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I had numerous visits to Lancaster PA's America's Best in order to get glasses. I found the lenses were not adequate for my vision after using them a couple of days... Also, the bifocal area was measured incorrectly... I had to push my glasses up on my nose in order to see through the bifocal area clearly. Additionally the glasses were apparently not measured properly as I could get my finger in both sides of the frame. After a numerous trips I decided to go back and get a full refund. I would not recommend this place! I ultimately had two vision tests from 2 different doctors because the 1st one from who the script was written it reported that I couldn't see clearly from them so they had to be sent back after a 2nd visit resulting in a 2nd script. And even after the 2nd visit, I wasn't happy with the vision using those glasses.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I made an appointment but didn't realize the real cost of $69.95 eye exam and glasses deal. The cost was explained to me that I would have to PURCHASE an upgrade for a reasonable two pair of glasses. It was also explained that there was no protective film on the lenses which would cause scratches on the lenses. This fact turned me right off and I cancelled the appointment. CHEAP MONEY FOR A CHEAP DEAL!

Original review: March 18, 2019

These glasses are cheap and scratch in a matter of days! They are dumb and they have no clue about the lenses. They refuse to stand behind the garbage they sell. I take every advantage to keep people from going there.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Miami Biscayne Blvd. location is so far the best place when it come to eye exam and wide selection of eyewear. The doctor is excellent, knowledgeable and professional. The whole staff are helpful, pleasant and always with a smile. The place is well kept and welcoming.

Original review: March 14, 2019

After hearing America’s Best commercials on television all day every day I decided to call to determine an estimated cost of purchasing 2 no-line bifocal pairs of glasses. I was given a price of $220 however after walking through the door the prescription cost increase my purchase to over $400. I was not prepared for this and expressed my concern that the commercials stated absolutely nothing about an increase in prescription price. Also the frames that you select from of course are of a lower quality and anything above the blue sticker increases the price dramatically. The good thing is I am getting two pairs of glasses for this price but it definitely is not what was expected when I made my appointment based on commercials and information given to me over the phone.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Summerwood TX location: Worst experience ever! I had a 10:30 appointment scheduled today. Called to let them know I was running a few minutes late and they said, "Thanks for letting us know." Got there literally at 10:41 - 11 minutes late and was turned away. They said they have a 10minute rule then you have to reschedule. No one mentioned that when I called so I went all the way down there to be turned away. Will NEVER do business with any America’s WORST Contacts and Eyeglasses! I asked to speak to a manager and to get an exception and was declined the courtesy of either. Unbelievable!!!

Original review: March 13, 2019

We seen the TV commercial about them being cheap and all. I ended up paying a thousand dollars on glasses. When I first went to the store, the employees seem awkward. They were mad at each other. It was 4 o'clock so I thought they are tired that's all. When glasses arrived, my husband glasses were not done right so they have to submit them for be refix. A whole month passed and I had to call to see what was taking so long. I spoke to 2 different employees. The first one told me that I lied and I just submitted my order like 2 weeks ago. I then proceed to tell her that was the second time then she told me that if I didn't like it I could have my money back. Told them why didn't they said that at the beginning. She was so rude I asked to speak to her manager. She told me she would call back, she was busy so I called back.

Second employee denied ever been a problem with my glasses and they were made just how the doctor order them. I asked what was then gonna do for me about the inconvenience. She said nothing. Talked to my husband whom then went to pick up his glasses as he retreats ever been there. I would not recommend this store to anyone. The people are rude and very unprofessional. The cost are stupidly crazy and I have been overcharged and mentally disturbed. Please never go to America’s Best. They are a full of crap.

Original review: March 12, 2019

This will be my first time of going to this company. I went there to have an eye exam, a glasses with tint on it. Firstly, I had to go back to them because my frame had a huge opening between the nose gap and my frame was changed. Not long after, I went back again because my glasses was blurry, dirty and I cannot see something like a needle. I was told when I got to them that I need a bifocal which I never used before. I left and contacted their customer service online via e-mail.

After back and forth chatting, they concluded that I have to go back to the store, take another eye exam and then maybe get another eyeglasses with bifocals. This is not the solution I expected and so sent an e-mail back that I cannot do that because the last time I was told the only solution is a bifocal and you are telling me the same. I never heard from them afterwards and I still couldn't see with the glasses they gave me. All of this happened between December 2018 and February 2019.

Original review: March 5, 2019

America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses is perhaps the worst place you could select to purchase contacts or eyeglasses. I purchased two pair of glasses with insurance protection on both. The frame on one pair broke and they refused the honor the claim. What this means is that protection insurance is merely a cash cow for this company. They basically collect cash from customers under the disguise of protection insurance, which is some cases, amounts to about 50% of the total purchase. When and if the frames or glasses breaks, they then claim they have no record of the purchase. America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses does a great deal of advertising. They tout their low prices and quick service.

But this is only partially true. They do in fact have very low prices. But these low prices are directly contributable to the low quality of frames and glasses they sell. You get what you pay for. The designer frames I purchased only lasted for 4 months before a structural defect was discovered. Honestly, I would have been better off going the a more reputable, long established contacts and eyeglasses place like LensCrafters or Cohen's Fashion Optical. At least this way I’d know I was buying high quality frames that won’t fail in 3 months. Avoid America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses. You get what you pay for.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I'd rather sit at the DMV on a Friday afternoon than wait for this hoopla. What is the purpose of scheduling appointments when walk-ins are taking priority. After signing in I waited about 30 mins to be called into another room just to wait some more. After finally getting my names called again, I go into a small office where I thought I was going to finally get my exam, wrong. I do a quick eye chart read, get sent back into the waiting room once again. After some more waiting, I finally get to see the optometrist, whom was fairly pleasant and quick.

Waiting to be checked out was a whole different story. I looked through glasses for about 40 mins, until I finally got called up to be checked out. Their current offer was $69.99* for two pairs and an eye exam, so I was shocked when my total came out to be right under $400. I'm aware that I was going charged extra for anti reflective coating ($55 a pair) and a contact lens exam ($79.99), but the difference in pricing was ridiculous. Not to mention the itemization on the receipt was not clear at all why my bill was so high. I was expecting around $260, not $400. I arrived at roughly 12:10 PM on a Tuesday for a 12:30 PM appointment. I did not finish until after 3 PM. I would highly recommend going to an actual optometrist office and just ordering glasses online (same cheap plastic lenses for a whole lot cheaper).

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

My husband and I went to America's Best in Sugar Creek Ohio. He had an exam for glass at $50 and I had an exam for contacts at $89. The eye doctor did the exact same exam for us both. Why is there such a big difference in the cost. I will not go back!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I bought 3 pairs of glasses and have issues with all 3. 1 pair a screw fell out the very first day, later that night on the 2nd pair of glasses the plastic piece that rests on your nose kept coming off and the 3rd pair, I see double images of lights... TERRIBLE! Now, I have to waste time that I don't have to go back there.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

The personnel at the Champaign Illinois store were extremely nice and very helpful. Even when I came back multiple times to have my frames adjusted until they were just right they were friendly and welcoming. With my original visit to the store they made suggestions for not only the best frames for bifocals but how to save on the cost. This is the best experience I've had in 50 years of having to buy glasses.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was quoted $120.00 for an exam and 2 glasses, and it was $180. It was the exact same pair of glasses that I got before with a slight change in the prescription of one eye. I had them check the price I paid before, got the person's name, and specifically asked about the price, and was assured that it would be $120.00. I had a similar experience years ago with a cheaper price being quoted over the phone, and when you get there after making an appointment, and taking the time, and the exam to be told it is way higher. Frustrating. Makes you feel helpless in the face of poor customer service.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was harassed by a customer for complaining to a store associate. It escalated into her coming at me calling me names, the associate ** got up and walked away while this woman half my age would not stop. I feared I was going to get hit by her. This went on for 3 minutes. Not one employee came to my aid. Store # 5121 Independence Missouri, I got a refund for the glasses that I couldn’t see thru, and the ASSOCIATE actually told me it was my fault, I’m a 63 yr old senior Citizen. My family will no longer do business with this company, my whole LARGE family wears glasses, this was my first pair, and I was very excited to have them. This store has rating of 2.6. Should have googled it first.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

This is the worst doctor in the business, he needs schooling on best practices. He had the nerve to tell me that we need to reschedule my granddaughter’s appointment because he recommended to dilate her eyes and it would take an hour to take effect, and he had to go to lunch, and couldn’t continue on with the exam. Who does that? Don’t care for RUDENESS!

America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Company Information