1.35/5
Based on 99 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 22, 2018

779 America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

Fayetteville, NC... I too should have read some of the reviews before walking into an America's Best Store. I initially found this company online because I was looking for new glasses at a less expensive price without insurance. I found on the website that I could get 2 pairs of progressive bifocals for a total of $188.45. I was unsure of ordering online without trying the frames on first, so my boyfriend and I decided to go to our nearest America's Best which is located in Fayetteville, NC. As soon as we walked in we were greeted by what I later found out was the Manager, Crystal. I explained what I was looking for and gave her my prescription, she told me to find the frames I wanted while she entered my prescription. (At this point I had not told her that I had already gotten a price online.)

Once I found the frames I wanted (Same ones I'd found online), I sat down with her, she entered all of my info in the computer and told me that my total would be $287, to which I responded, "How is that, I can get the same exact thing online for $188.45." She wanted to know if I could show that to her, at which time I pulled the email up on my phone and showed her (I had the exact same thing in my cart online as she had entered in the system for me). She then asked if I had a coupon, I say no. She asked if I could print that for her, she sets me up on a computer at another station so that I could print my cart from the online store SHE works for! We then ask why there were two sets of prices: one online/one in store in which she responded with she didn't know.

In the end I paid the online price for the glasses (Online and in store prices are SUPPOSED to be the same). HERE'S THE KICKER: Once I got home I sat down and figured out the price difference and it is as follows: Frames In Store: $59.95 PER PAIR. Frames Online: $34.97 PER PAIR. Lens In Store: $79.00 PER PAIR. Lens Online: $79 First Pair, $39.50 Second Pair. So, all in all, I was not getting the "2 pair for $60" like she told me I was in the store, but I did online!! You can get a better deal when you order online!!!

Original review: April 20, 2018

The staff at America's best are Compassionate, professional, courteous and knowledgeable. The Prescription that I received from my Optometrist was too strong, Heather at America's Best went above and beyond to make sure that I received another eye exam and that the glasses I ordered were correct. She worked tirelessly for 4 weeks until I was completely satisfied. I love this place and will continue to endorse America's Best to my family, friends and co-workers.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

I wish I would have read the reviews on America’s Best before I made the mistake of going there. They have tons of extra charges for their “free” exam and when I finally got in to get checked the “doctor” checked my eyes for maybe 2 minutes tops. Prescription is completely wrong but yet they won’t let me redo the exam. They say they’re fine and I’ll get use to the contacts and glasses I made the HUGE mistake of buying. The only thing they’ve done is give me bad headaches and make my eyes hurt. Unfortunately I can’t afford to go to a real eye doctor at this time and I wasted $400 on these people. I even paid extra to get free exams over the next year but they say the doctor was right and I’m wrong. Because apparently I don’t know my own eyes. Don’t waste your time and money. This place is a complete joke. I didn’t even mention the fact that my glasses (that were supposed to be there in 7 to 10 days) took almost a month to get in.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I went to pick up glasses for my son and follow up appointment for myself. It took them 10 mins to find my son’s glasses because they had them under a different name. Then the girl turns around and tells me you are 10 mins late for your appointment. I thought it was a joke. I tried to explain to her that she had me waiting for find the glasses and I was paying for her own mistake. She refused to check me in and had me reschedule! Also I paid extra for “premium” glasses. Flimsy and I am returning them. Not going to that store again.

Original review: April 6, 2018

These are the worst glasses I have ever had in my life. I have been wearing glasses for over 30 years and I have never had glasses like the ones from there. The lenses had a strange film on them that would not come off, it was like looking through a fog. While trying to clean that fog off the classes they broke! They literally snapped! I have never broke a pair glasses in my life cleaning a lens, and I know how to handle glasses. I will never buy glasses or any of their products again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses?

Original review: April 5, 2018

Every time I go to this place it's a hassle to get my prescription. First... I'm a single parent of a special needs child. My time is not easy to make vision exams or any other doctor appointments. But then to have to go back a 2nd or even a 3rd time, it's just plain annoying. Then, they never have “Trial” contacts in stock. If you know that all your patients will need trials to see first if the prescription is correct, then why not have “Trials” in stock. I can’t get the prescription after I already did the exam. I have to wait to be seen by the doctor again with the trial contacts. Really? Why? I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years. I should not have to wait for another appointment. They should see me for a second, “How do they feel” and that’s it… I should not have to wait. I already did the appointment and waited… Now they want me to keep waiting or make another appointment.

I will not be able to notice on a pickup of new trial contacts right off if they are correct. I have to drive, work, etc. with them on to see the prescription works for me. I want my prescription… upon an exam. This back and forth is ridiculous. It’s the only place where I have received an eye exam that does this. By the time you get your prescription or etc., a month has passed from the back and forth.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Moline IL America's Best - I wish I'd read these reviews before I bought two pairs of glasses. The staff was very friendly and helpful, but the glasses themselves are poor quality. The nose pieces -- those cheap little plastic discs that hold your glasses snug -- are sharp. They can't even use ones with rounded edges? You can get those for free at just about any optometrist's office. I've had my glasses for three weeks and already a screw has come loose and I'll have to take them in to be tightened. It will probably happen again and again. As far as the price goes, I knew that $69.95 price for two pairs would not pan out. By the time progressive lenses, anti-glare coating and other stuff was added, I paid almost $400.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I purchased the 2 year membership plan. Purchased contacts and glasses. Contacts were fine. Glasses were not very good. The most uncomfortable eyeglasses I've ever owned. Dug into nose and ears, no matter the adjustments. But the worst part was no matter or how I cleaned them, it was like looking thru a fog. I took glasses in, complained, receptionist acted like they were scratched. No... They are foggy. She tried to act like they were improperly cleaned. I stated they were cleaned with lens cleaner, and lens cloth washed in free and clear laundry. Stumped her. Because of membership stupid me, purchased 2nd pair. Same thing... One big fog. I have been wearing glasses for 47 years. These are simply bad and unacceptable glasses. Do not shop here. Take your prescription elsewhere.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I was so mad. My son’s living in Texas so on his visit to Colorado to see me I took him here paid for the club membership and it gives three free contact eyeglass exams. I paid and know I paid and explained to dad of my son how it works etc and lady said, “Oh we can ship to Texas. He can pick his glasses up there at location,” now he was taken to get contacts. They say they see no charges for the club membership. Wow. I said, "Really." I’m so appalled at this. Angry and disappointed I said, “Maybe you need to keep a better eye on your employees taking large amounts of cash.”

Original review: March 27, 2018

I called before I went to the store to make sure the information was correct. I needed progressive lenses and was told it would be $99.00. Took me awhile but found the two pairs I liked. Then they showed me 5 types of progressive lens pictures which showed peripheral vision and how much I would be able to see with the different lenses. Of course the most expensive lens had the better picture. I thought the choice was no line or progressive. Can anyone explain this to me? After they had 3 different woman sit with me I felt the pressure of buying a new car. I walked away not making a purchase. I have been buying progressive lenses for many years and have never come across this problem before.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I had my appointment on July of 2017 and I didn't receive until END OF OCTOBER! The staff at the Forestville Md location are terrible, the doctors give you a cookie cutter exam and get angry when you call them on THEIR mistakes. Long story short I was told I needed bifocals without being examined proper. After sitting with the tech Kenzo and discussing what I wanted and picking frames and tint I went to get them (first time) and they had sunshades tint and single lens, they took them back and I requested another exam be done because I still couldn't see. The next dr did the exact same thing (made me read eye chart) but did another step to measure me for bifocals, when I told her the first dr didn't do that she asked me how did she know I needed them. I sat AGAIN and put in the order.

Three weeks passed and I called and ask if they were done, they said they were but when I got there they weren't, they came the following week and I STILL COULDN'T SEE out of them, so they adjust them and found out the numbers weren't right SO THEY HAD TO GO BACK AGAIN... I come for the last time I thought and they had the WRONG GLASSES. By now I'm LIVID but told to come back the following week. I did and this time they were there. I still couldn't see clear and I was then told to wear them for a while. I did, I then in December wrote a letter to corporate. They never responded, so then in February I called and they had the location call back. Talking with them resolved nothing.

They finally called and said they will refund my money. Just bring the glasses back. I asked them how will I see! I told them ALL I WANTED was for them to cover the cost of another eye exam at ANOTHER location and to that I was told. "YOU'RE FREE TO GO WHERE YOU LIKE BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY!" They made the multiple mistakes. NOT ME. now I did make them eat the rest of the cost because of their mistakes.

America's best is the eyewear is the ADVENTURE DENTAL OF EYEWEAR. There is so much more I could say but it would take all day. I will be paying to see A REAL optometrist and once I receive glasses I can use I will definitely give them these back... The only thing is I actually love the designer frames I purchased. Just know if you ever go to that location be prepared to WAIT AND WATCH THEM TALK LAUGH AND EAT AT THE FRONT DESK in front of waiting and frustrated customers... The worst. If I could give a negative 0 I would!

Original review: March 15, 2018

I went to America's Best on Marketplace in Grand Ledge, MI. in September 2017 for new glasses. Three very nice employees helped me pick out my frames, without any request from me for help. I told them I had only worn titanium frames in the past, but was open to other styles. They thought I should consider plastic frames and picked out 4 or 5 for me to consider. I chose one of their suggestions. I was happy with the look and style. After I received my glasses and was fitted with them. I noticed they wouldn't stay in place. I went back to the store a total of 6 times in the next month to have them heated and adjusted. I told them several times how unhappy I was and questioned why I was having so much țrouble. I asked if I had made a poor choice and should I reconsider. They kept reassuring me that I just needed more adjustment.

I finally gave up going back and just tried using rubber bands, tape, and putty for 5 months. Today I went back for another adjustment, the nice young lady told me plastic frames have a history of loosening up from the heat of your face. No one mentioned pros or cons when "helping me" pick frames. Nor did anyone mention this during all the adjustments. I noticed their sign that said they would do what it takes to make it right. I asked about this and the manager stated it was only for 30 days and they wouldn't do anything at this point. No one made any effort to inform me at any of these adjustments that I could get different frames if these weren't working. I will not be a customer of theirs again. Lesson learned. I am now an informed consumer and will go elsewhere for my glasses.

Original review: March 14, 2018

It felt like a bait and switch. They lure you in with a get 2 pair of glasses for $69 or some other low $ amount plus a free eye exam and then start doing all the add ons. Before you know it your $400 into a single pair of glasses. Not much of a savings if you ask me. There is no adjustment of the glasses when you pick them up either just a remark to try them for 72 hours and you have 30 days to return them. I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I will detail this by each visit. Visit 1: This was at the McDonough location in Ga, it was great, everyone was very professional, hell I even went for the up-sale of HD lenses. Everyone from the receptionist to the doctor were great. But this was at this location. Visit 2: Now I live closer to Macon location but at the time they were booked so that's why I went to the McDonough location. 50 miles away. But it was time for another exam and the Macon location has a spot open. It took the reception almost 20 minutes to even find that I has made an appointment and made the argument that I didn't make one, but after finally finding it, there was no apology from her for her mistake. The DR was pretty much just doing his job. When I went out for a fitting, the woman has no idea what she was doing, she then called another person to help her.

After an hour and picking out 2 frames they said I could pick them up in 7 days. 10 Days had passed and no phone call. I called up to see what was going on and they said it would be another 5 days. After another 5 days they were done. The lenses were cloudy and unclean. Visit 3: The frames had become loose after a month so I went to have them tighten. They told me they would have to take out the lenses to get this done. It would take 5 days. After 5 days I went there and the lady presented me with lenses...just lenses no frames! I said, "Where are my frames?" She said "don't you want new lenses?" Ok...first off what the hell am I supposed to do with just a pair of lenses and no frames if that was the case?!?! I had to wait an additional 10 days to get my frames back with the lenses in them! I get there and guess what...wrong frames. They has no idea what happened to them. How in the hell in a professional setting do you just lose frames.

This made no sense at all. They told me it would take about 5 days to find the type of frames I had before because they no longer had those types available in the store. After 5 days, no call. I went up to the store and they of course has no idea what I was talking about, it took them 30 min to find someone who was working the day I had came in. They said it would be another 5 days. After another 5 days, I went up and they didn't find the type of frames I had before. I gave up. Please. I know that 2 pair of glasses and a free eye exam sounds like a deal but you are getting what you pay for! Cheap deal. Cheap service. Very unprofessional. Horrible staff.

Original review: March 9, 2018

1st visit. There was a box on the counter marked in bold letters, Frames 50 percent off! After choosing a pair I was told, "I'm sorry. Those frames are not discounted. That's just a box where we put the frames once we're finished with a customer!" I was like What! Why are they sitting up on the front desk as the first thing I would see when I walked in the door! They never called me like they said they would once my glasses were ready, after waiting... I called inquiring about them and was told they weren't in and they may be on the next shipment. My response was filled with sadness because the glasses I was using while I waited for my new pair had just broke! The young lady said "well hold on Mrs." I was on hold less than 2 mins when she returned and said "they're here Mrs. You can come and pick them up!"

Visit 2. When I got there she said only three of the four pair I purchased were in, two pair for me and two pair for my daughter! So once again I was told, "We will call you when your daughter's 2nd pair arrives." Two weeks later I received no call. By week four I decided to just go up there without calling. Visit 3. I was asked, "Did anyone call you, saying your glasses were here?" I replied, "No," after looking thru things she said, "Ma'am they might be coming on our next shipment." MY reaction this time was frustration! I explained to her how long ago I placed the order and that 3 pair I have received, but the fourth pair I'm still waiting! She looked in the computer, then she looked in the cabinet again and what do you know she had them! This was a trouble experience not to mention. Both restrooms were out of order!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I ordered glasses on 02/01/2018 and they still dont know why. When I call the staff says it's not there, and then the Very Rude Manager says it was delivered. 1 month for glasses is a long time. Unfortunately, I previously bought that expensive package. Every eyeglasses broke in 1 week. Only because of the expensive 3 year program I bought, they replaced the glasses 3 times. Finally I was told that the glasses they sold me were trash, and they gave me another pair (that one broke in one week). I don't have time to go to this place every time these glasses break.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Did their promotional deal (plus extra). Received two pairs of eyeglasses. In a year, the arm on both pairs have broken off. Called and they informed me, "We can take your lenses out and put them in new frames, at my expense". Terrible customer service and cheap product. Highly do NOT recommend.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Spend the extra money and go to a reputable eye doctor. You'll end up spending the money at America's worst anyway so just bite the bullet and do the right thing. Stay away from these guys at all costs. I have been going here for 5 years, I am not sure why. Trying to get contacts was a nightmare. 2 months later I still don't have contacts or glasses. Their solution is to send me to other stores to talk to other doctors and employees who have to get to know me all over again, makes no sense at all. I am still out of $120 and still can't see. About to lose my job because I haven't been able to work much in 2 months. My glasses are broke and the contacts they tried to have me use aren't even the right prescription.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I am only giving this company 1 star because I have to in order to leave a review. This company has the worst of the worst customer service I have ever seen. I purchase 2 pair of eyeglasses, which they claim were going to be $69.99! Well $400.00 later I end up with 2 eyeglasses that broke right away. I went into the store to ask for help to get them fixed. The employees told me, “We can’t help you. Too bad your warranty expired about 24 hours ago.“ The women there at the storefront are very unprofessional, and rude. Only time they are nice is when you sit down with your new prescription and ready to spend money. My co worker had the same experience with this company. Don’t waste your time and money with these people. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I purchased a pair of progressive glasses from the America's Best store on Central Avenue in Albany, NY. From the moment I put them on, I knew there was a problem. I was told I should give my eyes a chance to adjust. I could not see as well to read as with my previous glasses, and I found myself holding them up in the air (off my nose) to see close up and medium distances. About 2 weeks after I received the glasses, I took them back to the store, and the woman "adjusted" them. Nothing changed. I looked at my prescription, went to Wal-Mart, and picked out a pair of readers to test them out. My vision was SIGNIFICANTLY better with the readers than with my new glasses.

After having them for one month, I took the glasses back again, and the woman who waited on us first tried to say that my glasses needed adjusted, then she blamed it on the prescription (which I obtained at a different location), and then she tried to say that my vision was worse with my glasses than Wal-Mart readers because my prescription corrects my astigmatism. I finally insisted that my money be refunded. I have worn glasses for 43 years and progressives for 10 years. I have never returned a pair of glasses prior to this.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Placed an online order with this company two weeks ago. After five days I contacted them to find learn the status of if my eyeglass prescription was received and put through. They asked me to email it again, I did so, they confirmed receipt. After another few days my online account indicated "Processing", the next day it indicated "Contact Customer Service". So I call them and they tell me it's all set, I will receive an email confirmation with a tracking number.

A few days later I notice on my online account it still indicates "Contact Customer Service" so I do. They tell me that the order hasn't been put through but they can delete it and I can reorder again. I don't have time for this nonsense and can't even get a clear answer from this company. I just told them to cancel the order and I would find a local company that takes pride in their customer service. I even emailed them several times to find out what was going on and never could even get an email response that wasn't some "auto reply" response that didn't even pertain to what I was asking. I don't care if you gave me the glasses for free, it's not worth the headache. I wouldn't recommend them or use them ever again. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I was looking around to get my eyes checked... Well I called American's Best in Lynnwood, was to only be out on hold for half an hour and when the gal that answered was super rude. Never going there, I work on the phones for a clinic and I have never treated a patient this way. All I can say is if you can go anywhere else... Do it.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

The Pineville location of America's Best is the WORST place in the world to get service! My husband went on Saturday to get glasses for my son. To make a long story short, I went in with my receipt from Saturday with the manager's name on Glacier. My issues: 1. When I walked in, I was NOT greeted. The woman at the desk was on the phone. The other woman, an older lady, looked at me like "what are you doing here!" She said, "Can I help you?" but not in a welcoming manner. I told her I had an appointment. She said the lady on the phone will be with me in a minute. I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, the other lady was like, "What's your name." Wow! The receptionist could not stop two seconds to say, "One moment," or, "Welcome. I'll be right with you!"

2. The Doctors were great! But when it was time to pick out the glasses there was a big lady with pockmarks sitting in a chair in front of the cash register computer monitor. She was mean as hell! Barking at the other lady every time she picked up glasses... "That's too big!" "That's too small!" "Pick up those!" While in her chair! She didn't even get up to help!

3. There was a mix up in the pricing. I wanted to call my husband to get clarification. While I am talking to my husband, without a word, she sticks out her hand. I am like, "Why is your hand out?" She barked, "Give me the phone. Let me talk to him!" Like I was her granddaughter about to get a spanking! I don't know this lady from a house cat! I told her, "The proper way to ask someone for something is say 'may I please talk to him or may I please have the phone!' " I said, "I am a 43 year old woman. How dare you take this tone with me!" I was shocked. All the while my 7 year old watched! She didn't say sorry, she didn't put her hand down! Can you believe she sat there with her hand up for like another 30 or 40 seconds.

I didn't give her the phone and I was so angry at my treatment! My son needed the glasses or I would have walked out! That is the second time I have been mistreated in that store. The last time the attendant started working with another customer while he was sizing my son's glasses! He actually apologized after I told him that was wrong. I DO NOT recommend this establishment.

4. The pricing is deceptive and I am going to write a complaint to the NC Attorney General's office. My 7 year old son had to buy men's glasses! The quality is not good on most and they don't make the sizes or varieties for kids. They are incompetent in helping you pick and the pricing is crazy! You pick 2 for $99. You pay $104. You pick 1 for $59 and 1 $69. You pay $99. You pick 2 for $59. You pay $69. And that is not told until after you pick! Where is it written? On a piece of paper at the register!

4. With all that I still paid. Till today no one said, "Thank you!" NO ONE! With the K-Mart closed and boarded up right next door, you would think they would be on point. But they are not learning that Charlotte is a word of mouth town. Time will tell this story!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I have the eye care insurance for 3 years. The first year I tried to make an appointment was told 3 months out, then I went online and scheduled and got the appointment in 2 weeks only to receive a email saying it was canceled. This is so not fair to consumer's that already have paid for your 3 year program. I had to go to Walmart for my eye exam today and paid 89.00. I think I should be refunded for this eye service contract.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The person who attends to customers when they walk in was incredibly rude. I am appalled at how I was being treated. I have never been treated like that in my life. I’m incredibly disappointed because I used to like going here.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Poor and incorrect exams and tests. I paid extra for tests that yielded incorrect results and incorrect lens prescription. They also had no selection of low end frames for people with a larger, wider face other than designer frames. Too expensive for the lens options I would have chosen and would have had to pay $400 and up for designer frames.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

My wife had an eye exam at their store and we bought her (2) pairs of eyeglasses for about $585.00 total. Picked them up when they called... And she could not see a thing. They sent them back for another try. Another two weeks passed, we got the call that they were ready. Same result - not close to being correct. They advised at the store that they would send ONE of the pairs back. After another two weeks same thing, drove up there again and they were as bad as the first two trips! After several days waiting for a conversation with the Manager, I was advised that they would honor my demand for a refund BUT they said the Eye Exam (which I believe to be at fault) would not be refunded. I was just happy to get out of that store! We went to a local Target store went through the same process and had an exam, selected glasses and in 10 days received perfect eyeglasses. Way to go Target Optical!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Extremely pushy sales staff! All was good until they found out I wasn't going to upgrade to better frames and was simply going to purchase the cheap plastic glasses they offered, it was night and day the difference in service and attitude. Oh and watch out for the extra test they do without telling you at an extra $20 each and then tack on the bill at the end.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

After many glowing reports from friends and family, I decided to give them a try... I took my daughter Amy with me to get her glasses too. We both had appointments, 30 min at least wait, extra charges for 3 optional each... Tests done that cost 25 dollars for all 3 at Walmart and LensCrafters. I need the progressives and the light lenses. So knew that extra, no on sale frames, just 69.95 and up. Not many available in my choice.

The cost for package I needed was 497.95. About 100 more than similar at Walmart. Despite misgivings I ordered mine and daughter's, hers was 350. Thing is we went Jan 11th, 2018, expected time to delivery was 2 weeks, Amy's come in Saturday, still waiting on mine, they told her mine would be in today, I am still awaiting a call... 2 weeks seems a tad long even with special packages. Not much change in scrip from 2 years ago at Walmart. They had mine in in 4 days. And I did not get free exam for buying glasses from America's Best either. I feel ripped off. I will not be giving them any kudos if asked.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

2 yrs ago my husbands bifocals were measured inaccurately by the guy at AB. So when they came back from the lab he could not use them. They were re-measured, sent back, 4 weeks later he got his glasses back. This yr my bifocals were ordered top of the line. Which means, smallest amount of blur & it's only on the outside edges of the lens. When I got them, the blur spot was so large, I could only see the middle of a sentence clearly. Again, they blamed the lab & sent them back. I had already waited 3 wks not the 2 they had originally said. They told me they were putting a "rush" on them.

6 weeks later the lenses came in. They were the identical wrong lenses that we had sent back! I just sent them back a second time! Meanwhile, my husband bought regular bifocals (which also came in wrong & got sent back) plus a pair of bifocals sunglasses that tint to blue/grey. The sunglasses he got tinted to dark brown, which is exactly what he did not want, plus the bifocals was wrong on them. Same problem as last year. Line was measured inaccurately. The lab does not measure the line. One of the workers at AB measures the line. It is quite obvious that the workers have little to no training. In addition, cutting corners to use the cheapest lab might save a few dollars, but how much are you really saving if customers are walking?

America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Company Information