3.9/5 (663 ratings)

About America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses

America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses?

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

I ordered my son 2 glasses a little over a week ago. I paid a fee of $11 for expedited (1 or 2 days). I received an email asking for the prescription that I filled in to the order online. I emailed the prescription to their support team. Then I called them yesterday and I was transferred to multiple agents. Some simply hung up the phone. Others told me that they cannot find my son in their system. After the third time I asked to speak to a manager. She was NO help. I Still have no information on the glasses I purchased for my son. Except for the "thank you for your order'' and "email your prescription message." So they can see my order because they sent me an email requesting a prescription I already sent but they can't pull it up when I called. At this point I just want my refund so I can go to Walmart. Because my son can't see too well at school. Ordering from America's Best was a mistake I will never make again.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Exam and glasses ordered 8/4/22. Front desk staff and doctor helpful. Doctors seemed very harried. Floor staff refused to provide any assistance and stood back with their arms crossed. Several calls and several weeks later, phone rings 10 times and disconnects. Finally called Blaine store 9/7/22 and was told all Coon Rapids, MN staff walked out and store was closed. Received call from Kristen at Blaine, MN store on 9/7/22. Was told they had one pair of my glasses ready for pickup. They had no status or information on the other pair and said they did not have access to Coon Rapids store data. They didn't know when or if I would ever receive the other glasses I had already paid for. They could offer no other assistance.

Get buying tips about Glasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

My appt was at 130pm on 8/10/22. I got to the store, came in behind a lady and her daughter. Stood there waiting to be checked in, after the other people were done. When I finally got my turn to check in it was 1:35pm. The guy who wasn't even the person checking people in, he was the assistant manager. He proceeded to tell me I was late. And that I should have confirmed my appt online or answered my calls. I said no one here has called me. I saw the email when I arrived. It was in my spam folder. I explained to him that I was on time. He said I am going to have to ask the doctor. Then I said, "Ok let's ask the doctor." I walked to the back and stood there with him, then he changed his story to say the doctor is the one who told him I couldnt be seen. Really? Which is it?

After the doctor and Brad or whatever his name was went in the room behind me and began discussing me. The doctor never came out and a few minutes later he came out and asked me why was I there? When my prescription was good until 2023. I told him they said if my vision gets worse to come back. I was so upset, And I said, "You know what, you had no intention on seeing me today anyway," I walked out! I have never been so upset about being treated so horribly by a professional establishment in my life!

Resolution response: July 26, 2022

Received my refund. Will they reverse the claim that they got paid on from VSP insurance remains to be seen.

Original review: July 26, 2022

A month-long saga ended today. Went to Target Optical for my annual exam and I needed to update my 2-year-old pair. They didn't have anything I liked that day, so I went to America's Best. After an hour of trying on glasses in half the store, I settled on a pair. I thought getting the order for them would be painless. It wasn't. The staff member handed me off to the manager, which struck me odd. It's glasses, not a car dealership. She was a bit off-putting with an attitude, which I found unnecessary and not very encouraging.

The manager was going through the options and wrote me up for the most expensive progressive they have for $385 without tax, not including the frame. I told her flat out I don't need anti-glare or transition lenses nor do I care about thin lenses (my current pair aren't thin and I don't care). I literally had to haggle them down to a reasonable price even with insurance. Total cost of $209. I paid for the pair and immediately had a sinking feeling, but couldn't put my finger on why.

5 days later my glasses were in despite being told 10 days was the turnaround time (which was typical for past pairs). I went to pick them up and tried them on. I was handed a laminated card with various policies written on it in differing sizes and font colors. I found the glasses to be painful to my eyes. I equated this from wearing my current glasses all day. I sat there looking and pondering because these were hard to see out of. I told the staff member, I don't know if they were good or not, so I will test them out for a couple of days to see if they work for me.

I got home and put them on again. I looked out the back window to see how clearly I saw the house number across the street that I could see with my current pair. I couldn't see jack **. The new pair had only one good spot to see out of and the rest of the lenses had a fish-eye effect. It was virtually unusable. I couldn't even see the minute details of the floorboards from across the room nor see the computer screen properly. Not to mention the eye pain was crippling in my left eye, so I put on my old pair and put away the new pair.

It's the first time I've ever had a garbage progressive pair of glasses. I thought they screwed them up. I tried wearing them a few times, but could not stand wearing them for more than 5 minutes. I went back to Target Optical where I did my exam to a) get the new pair measured and b) replace the frame of my current pair because I screwed up the arm.

They assured me the script in the America's Best pair were correct, but mentioned the lenses were convex and that it could be the position of the glasses on my face that is causing issues. They tried adjusting them. They suggested I go back to America's Best to get them remade and if they will not help me or refund me, Target will work a solution. At least I had a backup.

I remembered I have a 30-day return window. I went back last Wednesday and met with the staff member who first gave me the glasses when I picked them up. I explained my predicament and she thought maybe it was a differing material causing the issue. I told her the lenses were oddly convex versus the flatter profile of my old pair. I thought the convex was causing the severe distortion. I told her that I had Target measure the pair to check that the prescription was correct (it was), but that I could not see out of them and it was painful. She was curious to see what material was used on my Target pair. I went home to locate my old packet from 2020 for my current glasses. I didn't have it and Target didn't keep that on file, only the prescription.

I go back to America's Best the day after and I have to deal with the manager again. I explained again the issues and she copped an attitude. She insisted that if I'm having problems it's the script my optometrist wrote and not the fact they were made wrong. She claimed when she measured both pairs that the right axis was 140 on the new versus 120 on the old and the left eye had axis subtracted. She wanted me to get re-examined and I balked. Instead of making it right, she said, "We will only remake them using the script that are in your current [Target] pair. In order to do that, I need the 2-year-old script rewritten." I reluctantly agreed and went away.

I went to Target Optical and met with the same lady who helped me on my last three visits now. She was perplexed by America's Best asking for the old script, but she ended up giving it to me anyway and assured me they will help me if this place won't. She also mentioned it was pointless to remake a new pair when my current pair was still good. A coworker offered to me the material they use on the standard progressives and mentioned "if you have a frame you'd like to use, we are happy to make your glasses. You don't have to buy the frames here".

Why didn't someone tell me 4 weeks ago?! I would have stuck with Target instead I went to America's Best. Damn!!!! Now that I had that vital nugget of info, I went back to America's Best after work and was glad to see the immovable manager was not in, but the staff member who helped me twice before. She picked up the conversation where we left off on Wednesday. The manager never said to her that I came by on Friday. She asked did I find out the material on the old pair. I told her "no". I don't have it and Target doesn't retain it beyond a year.

I advised her that I returned on Friday and her manager would only remake them with the current prescription I'm using (my Target pair). I said that I wish to return the pair that was made because it makes no sense to remake them with the script I'm wearing and with a replaced frame at that. She didn't argue with me. She wasn't thrilled either, but she refunded me my $209 for the entire cost of the pair out of pocket. I gave a star back on this review because she did the right thing. If her manager was there, I'm dead certain I would be denied a refund.

Needless to say, I learned my lesson. Aftee reading tons of nightmare reviews, I count myself grateful that I was able to get a refund. I can use Target irrespective of where I get my frames. Target's standard progressive lenses are far superior to anything I've worn in the past 19 years and they have not a single scratch or scuff on them after 2 years of nonstop use. Now, let's just hope that the claim with VSP under America's Best is reversed and my benefits restored for this benefit year. Despite the out of pocket cost refunded, I'll be screwed out of my glasses for the year under VSP.

Original review: July 19, 2022

UPDATE. We're back from our trip, had many problems due to not being able to see close while driving in a foreign country on the other side of the road. Often a threat to our safety. Can't whip out cheaters to look at the console while driving. YOUR EYESIGHT IS EVERYTHING. There are so many other places to get your eyes checked, use another vendor, the customer service at this location is bad, at least in my experience. Still no feed back from them. Do yourself a favor. Use someone else. Read the other one star reviews.

MY EXPERIENCE. Special needs, personal requests, avoid this location. Take the time to read the one star reviews. I wanted to get the same contacts as I had before. The doctor wouldn't give me the same contacts. He said he can order them but wouldn't give me the near and far prescription that I am used to and have worn for over 30 years. I told him I was out of contacts and leaving the country on vacation, our flight leaves next week for New Zealand, please give me the prescription and I'll go to Costco and buy the contacts. Wouldn't do it, gave me a sample of contacts that are both for distance and a prescription for glasses. Told me to come back in two weeks. I haven't worn glasses for the past 40 years. I pleaded with him for the contacts prescription, he became indignant and said no.

His name is Doctor Abe **. There are no certificates displayed in the establishment with his name on them. I asked to see his credentials and they have nothing available. I'm sorry, I'm so upset, he could have helped but chose not to. I'm going to have to find another doctor to get contacts for our trip. Anyone with experience with this doctor please express yourself.

Original review: June 26, 2022

Bought the glass frame several years ago. The lens fell out, I expect that to happen. Because I did not have a problem with the frame, I never looked at the screws used. This time looked and found out a piece of wire was used, instead of a screw. Best frames, best lens, yet a wire was used instead of a screw.

Original review: June 17, 2022

Go in to get the eye exam & two frames. Told I'll be contacted when they arrive, 2 weeks max. After 2 weeks, I call to find they've been there for days. Go get them but one pair isn't right. Besides the frame constantly slipping off my nose, they hurt after 20 minutes & the script isn't working for me as a graphic designer with monitors two feet away. I have to lean in to get focused which is harsh for neck and posture. These things were causing pain.

The other pair, the distance pair for driving, was wonderful. Big black frames which sat squarely on my face without trouble. I wear them for hours without hassle. On top of this, I've developed cataracts and it's hindering me greatly in the evening. I have to turn monitor brightness to 1 to compensate for the glare. There's a free cataract surgery program but I need a "Letter of necessity" from a licensed optometrist. When I first came in and had my exam, I was clear in what I needed but the doc was more concerned with being a salesman.

Now I go to get the letter and see what I can do to exchange the frames with a happy pair. I ask for the doc who did my exam but there is no doctor in the building at all. An older woman with dyed black hair (forgotten her name) couldn't help me decide for or against bifocals after 90 minutes. "I don't know. This is all new to me but it's your job," I tell her. She tries bending the cruddy glasses and puts silicone nose pads on to alleviate the pain & slippage of the plastic ones this cheap company sent them with. In doing so, she chips a lensee. At this point she said she'd speak to a specific doctor on Monday about the letter for cataract surgery & what would be the best way to go for two-feet-away computer work. It was Friday. Monday comes and she leaves a message to say the doc is in a class and she'll call tomorrow. Tuesday comes and at 5pm I call to find she's off. Some serious unprofessionalism is going on here.

By now I'm more than frustrated. I get a younger-sounding woman on the phone and tell her my troubles. She says bifocals for reading up close, placed under a script maximized for seeing two-feet away in the frame I asked for seems ideal. She orders them, informing me they'll arrive faster than last time and promises someone will ring when they're in. I asked why nobody did the first time and she said they're having phone issues. A work order was placed a month ago but corporate is unresponsive. She promises I'll be contacted when the new ones arrive by a human being, not automation. You already know I wasn't.

Today I ring, 13 days since I went in to get the uncomfy pair "Fixed" and a week since the new order was placed. My calls go straight to voicemail which says I'm calling after hours. It's 2pm on Thursday! Now I have to call the corporate office where a lady verifies that, "Yes, the glasses arrived yesterday." she tries contacting the store and gets the same voicemail.

I live 50 minutes and 36 miles away from this place so getting there is a pain unless I have other things to do nearby (Lowe's is across the street). I drive a very cool old truck but she's not a gas sipper. It's over $20 round-trip with today's cost of gas. A family member is near and agrees to pick them up for me. When she brings them, I put them on and discover they're sized for someone with a head much bigger than mine.

I don't understand stupidity and laziness. The first frames, the exact style of frames, were fit perfectly when they arrived. Why are the new pair incorrectly sized? See the photo? They're literally 1/2 inch wider than the first pair. Who are these incompetents? They've got my measurements. The first pair proves it. Additionally, the script STILL ISN'T RIGHT. I have to lean in to get focus on the monitor. And where's my letter of necessity? Can't call the store. That voicemail issue. So I ring the 800 #. Again. After 15 more minutes on hold, the lady says she'll transfer me to the agent who helped me earlier. Click, click, SCREEEECH for 8 seconds until I hang up. We're treading in the land of epic half**ery.

I call the toll free for the third time today and tell the lady not to transfer me but leave a message for the agent who is "Handling my case," asking her to ring me tomorrow between noon and one. That's when I'm open. By now I've been in their store 3 times for almost 4 hours and I've rung them up 7 times yet things are still messed up. How do companies filled with such foolishness survive? I need to get glasses which fit and suit me at the desk, not incorrect lenses in a wobbly frame made for King Kong. I need the letter. I need professionalism and integrity. I'll let you know how this turns out. Don't hold your breath for a happy ending.

Original review: June 9, 2022

The $79 free exam and 2 pairs of glasses is a ripoff. They have lied to me and ripped me off. I basically got an eye exam. Called their corporate headquarters "National Vision" and was lied to again. Tried to talk to any manager, was put on hold, and have to this day never been able to talk to any manager. They are a rip off! They have forever lost me as a customer! If you would heed my words, go somewhere else, and save your hard earned money.

Original review: June 1, 2022

Each department knows nothing about the other departments. The front desk people I was told doesn't know about how their specials work, the eye exam girl knows nothing about nothing and the optometrist needed his managers approval before proceeding with my order. I feel like it's the oldest sales trick where they send in the relief pitcher to upsell you. In my case while they were discussing me just wanting plain and simple glasses, I saw that the glare resistance was an additional $50 per pair. The manager added the glare resistance on one pair at my request and said my glasses now come with warranty that is included with the glare resistance. What she should have told me was that in order the get glare resistance I needed to look at the pricing for the lens upgrade on the left side of their price sheet.

Nowhere on the right does it say you have to pay to upgrade the lens in order to purchase the glare resistance. When I got home and noticed the added charges I called and spoke to that manager and pretty much cast the blame on her employee. She didn't offer any type of resolution, like did I want to cancel the glare resistance?? It had only been 30min since I had left the store, surely they weren't being made.

On 5/15 I was told that it would take 2 weeks for my glasses to come in, so I called today and I spoke to the same manager. When I gave her my name I can hear the attitude change in her voice and she told me they called me on 5/19 to advise that my glasses were ready. I wasn't left a voicemail and all she could say was that "well we called". I will not be using this company or referring them.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I went to pick up my new contacts from the America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses, Wyncote, PA and met with a young lady who was assisting me, when suddenly supervisor Justin stepped in for no reason and began an argument by picking on me. When I wanted to order glasses using the same prescription I received from the same store Justin pointed out that he does not know if the prescription, I had in my hand, is for long distance for computer viewing or not. I don't know why he was even speaking with me; I never asked for his assistance. Everything went downhill from there.

I asked Justin to move away from me because he became irritable and argumentative, and the only reason I could think that he was that way is a means of showing "power" as a supervisor. I am now afraid to return to the store to get anything done because Justin assumes he's being helpful but he really just picks at a customer and starts irritating folks; and will not step aside and let the other floor agents do their jobs.

America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Company Information