1.51/5
  • 1 star
Based on 95 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 7, 2017

739 America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

My husband came to get glasses and it was supposed to be 2 pair of glasses for $69.99 and when we pick the ones we wanted they were not $69.99. Mine was going to be $400 and my husband's was going to be $500 and we both said no. They were supposed to be $69.99. We will never be back and I will post it on every social media and tell everyone I know to never go there. We were even going to share the 2 pair for $69.99 and they said we couldn't.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I would give them zero stars if I could!! I took a prescription to the Glen Burnie office for my two year old daughter and she had them for two months and when she had a check up at her specialist they informed me that they read the prescription wrong and she had a completely different lens than what she was suppose to have and was completely off not helping her problem with her eyes at all but making them worse! I will never return to this place and would never say a single good thing about them to anyone! I’ve never been so disgusted with a place than I am with America’s Best!! And never expect to pay the 69.99 for two pairs! That is a joke! The employees are rude and unprofessional and have no idea what they’re talking about or even doing!!! America’s best= America’s worst!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The well-advertised deal of 2 pairs of glasses for $69 is extremely misleading. After choosing two frames in the 2 for $69 section, I sat down with the tech and was told the prescription (a very standard strength for nearsightedness) could not be done with plastic lenses and would cost $212. I did not purchase the glasses, and was still responsible for a $45 exam fee since the exam is free only with purchase. The advertising is very misleading and deceptive. I am very disappointed and will not spend money here again.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I went to a new place (America's Best) to try to save some money. These are the "worst" glasses I have ever had. I can't get them clean, there are spots all over the lenses, and they won't come off. I've bought eyeglass cleaners, use microfiber cloths, nothing helps. SPOTS! I will never get another pair of glasses from them. What a waste of time and money!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I've been a member of the Club, and although never really happy with their service I decided to renew my membership based solely on price. I went in for eye exam last week, West Boca Raton location. My current prescription for contact lenses was 2.50 on right eye only, for reading. Upon examination, the doctor decided that it should go from 2.50 to 4.25 on the right eye, plus 1.00 on the left eye for distance.

I was then sent back to a representative to pay for my bill. He asked me how many boxes of contact I would like to order, and I responded none at that time, because I still have several boxes I had purchased from Costco, and they could be exchanged for new ones if my prescription changed. I felt that they were not too happy with me not making a purchase from them. They never offered me free trials to see if I would feel comfortable with the new prescription, even though there's a significant increase on my prescription.

I then decided to get a second opinion. I set up an appointment with a different clinic of great reputation. After examination, the doctor concluded that my prescription should only increase to 2.75 or 3.00, whichever was more comfortable for me. She was blown away by the fact the America's Best did not offer me free trials, especially with a substantial change on my prescription. I will never go back to America's Best, even though I paid for a 3 year membership. I do not recommend it to anyone. I now realize that Vision is a great asset, and we should not trust it in anyone's hand.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Purchased 2 pairs. One broke within a week. I do not live nearby so I had to wait several weeks to have them repaired. Finally, after they were repaired, they broke again. Same area. I don't have time to keep going back and forth for repairs.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have purchased several pairs of glasses from this company. Each time they fall apart. This last time I bought them on August 16th. They fell apart on November the third. This is ridiculous. They weren't even 3 months old. They're only used for reading therefore I'm not using them that much. I do not understand why they keep falling apart. I understand that America's Best give you a good deal with your eye exam and your glasses but if they fall apart it's not a good deal at all. I hope everyone has a better experience than what I've had with their company.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

The America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses on Hall Blvd, Tigard, Oregon! Andy was excellent! I ordered two (2) pairs of glasses. They were spendy but if our employer paid better insurance or had optical all together it wouldn't be so bad. Everyone at America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses in Tigard, Oregon are absolutely fabulous! One pair was perfect but the second pair didn't work correctly. I love the progressives and Andy bless his heart did everything possible to correct this for me! He would have stayed until closing but I had to choose a different frame! Andy was so cute and so patient with me. Customer service is there number 1 Concern! Thank you for all your wonderful help!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Was lured in by the misleading offer of 2 pairs for $69.95 and a free eye exam. I expected there to be a charge for upgrading the lenses but they wanted $279.95 which is ridiculous. I managed to upgrade one pair to plastic lenses and pay $129.95. My other daughter got the 2 pairs for $119.95. Her total was $302.95. It then took over 2 weeks for the glasses to come in. I didn't get a phone call. I went to the store and was told they probably called me at 10:00 am this morning. No, they didn't. The glasses do not even come in a decent case. I will never go back and would not recommend this place to anyone. Very expensive, low quality, and unprofessional. Two thumbs down.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I called about the 2 pair ($69.95) special before I came in. I asked if I could get sunglasses instead of the regular glasses at the special price & she said yes. When I came in they said it will almost be double & for only 1 pair. People they will tell you anything just to get you in the door. Then when you come in they will charge you for stuff that you don't need. I'm sure all of them work on commission. They also were rude. I will be going to Walmart or Sam's to get my glasses now.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I went for the $99.95 offer at Takoma Center and received lies and they charged me a lot of money with different reasons. I went to Takoma Center, Maryland. I took the test and after I picked 2 glass frames and went to desk to try them I was told I had to pay $224.00. I asked why I saw the offer for 2 glasses and test for $99.95. The lady said because my lenses were not plastic. I did not understand and when I tried the glasses and said I would take them I was told total of $234.95. It went up again and I said I was going for the offer of $99.95 and was told $224.00 then was told $234.95 and I asked why again and the lady said because of the frames.

I was very upset and manager Julia did nothing about it. Also while there I heard the phone ring and ring and ring and the manager Julia was behind the front desk with another female and none of them answered the phone. That is not professional. I need my glasses as soon as possible for my job. Can someone call me please about everything that happened. I will write in Facebook and on the web about America's Best unprofessional and lies to a customer. I will tell people not to go to America's Best and tell everyone what America's Best did to me. I need glasses soon that is why I went through the unprofessionalism with America's Best.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My Mom went to get glasses and once we got there the price was double. Later when they needed to be repaired they wanted to charge her the same price. She is 82 years old. She could not afford to pay that price again.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Took my wife for exam, She has diabetes. The Doctor claimed after the exam nothing wrong with her either eyes due to diabetes, they were clear and in very good shape, so we order her the glasses over $300.00 for two pair. When they came in right away she said she was having problems with seeing out her right eye, they told her that because they were new her (Eyes) needed to adjust to the new prescription. A week later we went back, they did a new exam and this time they told us due to her diabetes she had bleeding behind that eye. (Different) Doctor! If indeed this is the case (Which) I really don't know, we would have held off on the glasses until we found out what the problem was, We are retired and can't afford this kind of (BS)!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

Portland America's Best - Although I am happy about the 3 years of free eye exams for $99.00 I am upset about the bait and switch that America's Best seems to do. I am able to get glasses online for about 20 dollars and use their prescription. I was just going to buy the glasses in their store but after the mark up because the 2 pairs for 69 dollars is just for the frames not the eyeglasses themselves.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

First: they couldn’t find my insurance code. Second: not ONE employee was professional. Third: the “eye Dr.” was very rushed in giving information on my findings. Then she opened the door & the waiting room was filled & she was even more rushed... Asking me what lens was best but didn’t give me a chatty answer. Fourth: when my glasses DID come in the prescription completely wrong??? Fifth: The “MANAGER” told me to take them home for a couple days and see if I can get used to them??? Sixth: I said completely UNACCEPTABLE!!! & asked for a full refund!!! Seventh: they refunded everything EXCEPT the “eye Dr's fee??? The one that didn’t do her job???

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

NEVER WILL I EVER GO TO OR RECOMMEND America’s Best Contacts and Eyeglass. After my old glasses broke on a Saturday I was very excited to get an appointment Monday morning at 9:30, didn’t wait long and staff was very friendly. When my eye exam was finished I found my 2 pairs of frames, “as advertised” and also thought my eye exam was free, NOT FREE because I have insurance that only covered a mere fraction of the cost and after having this and that put on my much needed glasses I decided to only get one pair at $376. Needing glasses very badly since mine broke I asked if they could possibly rush the glasses. NO CAN DO but they’ll be within a week. 2 weeks later they FINALLY came in today, I was very pissed they took so long to come in. I walked in took my glasses and walked out. I was warned not to go there but I didn’t listen.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

America's Best Eyeglasses are the worst ever. I pay 700.00 for my eyeglasses and the frame broke. I just need frames. Lenses are still fine. Went there cause I bought them there. The lady said, "No we can't give you just frames... You need to buy a new pair frame and lenses." Wtf. I don't have that kind of money... What a disgrace. Embarrassed me awful.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Stay away from this place, worse experience I've ever had without exaggeration. They ordered the wrong prescription, were never on time with appointments, and the sales staff appeared depressed, just no... After carving out time to make a follow up appointment, I dragged myself and my one year old because they needed me there to order the correct prescription. Anyway, I waited over 30 minutes for them to tell me, "Sir, follow ups don't begin until 3:15", I replied, "Then why would they give me a 3:00 appointment". So the doctor finally came over and said, "Where are the old contacts"? I replied, "Well I don't think I needed the pair with me that were the incorrect prescription to order another pair". Well at that point I was informed they couldn't help me unless I made another appointment. I walked out pissed off and will be taking my business elsewhere. Avoid this place like the plague! They should rename this business "Americas Worse".

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

When I ordered 2 pairs of glasses totaling $447.95 they didn't tell me the length of the earpieces are one size fits all. They're way too long for my head. I showed them my old glasses to prove that there are different sizes available, but they insisted they cannot provide shorter lengths. They wanted to bend the piece that goes over the ear straight down behind the ear, to make it shorter. That would have looked dumb. I'm just glad I ordered spring-tensioned side pieces, so they grip my head without falling off.

Ten months later, both sets of glasses developed stress cracks on the lenses. At first they didn't want to do anything about it until I showed them the receipt to verify the warranty period. They took both pairs and replaced the lenses. When I asked if the new lenses would be under warranty, they said only the original one year would cover them. Two months left. Has anyone else have trouble with stress cracks. Could it be that the reason their prices are so cheap is because their materials are substandard? Never again!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I've been using America's Best for years to get my eye exams and eyeglasses in Philadelphia, PA. However, I moved to Virginia and broke my glasses. I needed to obtain my prescription so I could get new glasses where I am now living. Even though they are a chain, they do not share patient information, so I have to get my prescription from Philadelphia's location. They will not give you this info over the phone, so they offer to either fax it (who owns a fax machine anymore) or mail it. I called not once, but twice to obtain my prescription in the mail. After 2 requests, it has been a MONTH and still no prescription. So basically if you cannot physically walk into the store to get your prescription in person, you're screwed.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I should have walked out before I made a purchase -- MY BIGGEST MISTAKE. I went here because a decade ago I bought my contacts here and always had good experiences. I was in need of a new prescription before cataract surgery. I did not want to spend a great deal since these glasses would be used for a month or two maximum.

The male clerk rushed me and did not care what my opinion was. I was a bit distraught at the time due to the optometrist telling me how badly my cataract was impeding my eyesight. I purchased the glasses. When I picked them up they did not fit properly and the clerk told me to buy corn blister pads at Walmart. Today I went back after cataract surgery, wanting them to remove a lens at the least and hopefully put in a clear lens to get me until my next cataract/lens implantation.

The clerk and Manager refused. I had to explain what I wanted 3 times and she still did not get it, she kept looking at her computer like it would give her an answer. It reminded me of the car dealers pegging you as an easy sale. The best they could do is send my glasses away for 2 weeks which of course would not work. They had clear lenses in stock. I went to Eyeglass World and in an hour had just what I needed at a minimal price. I will not walk into an America's Best EVER again and I advise all of you to stay away. As, I was leaving I heard another client upset that his order was not correct because of something not written on his chart but they did not seem to care or rectify it.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

The experience was just fine. I got my eye exam just fine, I got good service and everything. I paid for the product, I told them when I ordered my glasses, I want a pair of sunglasses and I want one pair of glasses with no glare protection (I hate glare protection, and there's a reason for it). No scratch protection (for me it does no good as I take good care of my glasses, and the ways I end up scratching my glasses it doesn't help anyways) and I don't care about thick lenses because I've been wearing glasses since I was 5, when glasses came in thick bulky lenses so I'm used to thick lenses as is.

When I went to get my glasses they had them off to the side and tried to charge me more, which I stated I paid for them in full when I ordered them so there shouldn't be a problem. Well I came home, put the glasses on and didn't notice the difference until I compared my old glasses (which didn't have glare protection put on or any other special stuff put on them) to my new glasses. My old glasses are only a year and a half old, my new glasses are brand new. I know the difference between glare protection and non-glare protection. With my prescription and glare protection it doesn't offer much other than shifting the glare off to the side which irritates me when I'm looking at a light. I'd rather view the glare head on than to see a 'bubble' of light off to the side.

I will be calling them on Monday, asking them how much I 'owe' on the glasses, then informing them about my discovery on what they did to my 'normal' pair of glasses. This does not please me and I am very upset that they used a thinner plastic and put glare protection on my glasses. They tried to charge me for something I didn't want and they also put this garbage on glasses I need to use all the time.

When I'm inside a house and I look directly at a light, there will be a bubble off to the side. If you have a strong prescription that will end up with heavy plastic, even heavy glass, glare protection causes that light off to the side. If you grew up without glare protection and have glare protection on your glasses this ends up messing with your eyes and can cause migraines. These glasses have essentially become a hazard for me.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I got 2 pair of bifocals a few months ago from the Annapolis, MD store. Everything went smooth… Paid extra for the progressive. Really I don't understand all the negative reviews… Maybe I haven't wore glasses long enough to understand. I did have the frame come apart yesterday (screw came out). I went back to the store today and they fixed them for me in a few minutes. Great people and great service.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I brought in an eye prescription so I could get new glasses. The store was clean and neat, service was prompt and the staff was very nice. I picked out my frames for two sets of glasses and ordered what I wanted. Both sets were for bifocals with transition coating. I was called about 10 days later to pick up my glasses. I picked up the glasses and went home. I read a lot using a kindle. I found that I was getting headaches after reading. I looked at the glasses as I viewed the kindle and realized that they looked as if the transition coating was inconsistent appearing tie dyed. This was present in both sets of glasses. I went back to the store and they said they would have the glasses reworked. I kept one pair to used while the other was being fixed. I returned the one set of glasses three times and the other twice. The same problem was present each time the glasses were returned.

I decided to get a refund and go back to my regular vision practitioner to get, another although more expensive, pair of glasses. The refund I was given was about $150.00 less than what I paid for the glasses. I returned home and found my original purchase slip and returned to the store to get my full amount refunded. The problem with the glass was with the lab that the glasses were sent out to. I spent 4 months running back and forth for the glasses and never got a good working set of glasses. My husband’s comment was that you get what you pay for.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I had a vision exam not too long ago and the eye doctor told me that my vision had improved. I ordered two pairs of eyeglasses with the new

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Published: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:X9kxphjLK7AJ:https://www.yelp.com/biz/americas-best-contacts-and-eyeglasses-mandeville+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ph

prescription. The total was $363.06. Very soon after I started wearing my new glasses, I started having daily headaches. I took ** two to three times a day. I had a physician order an Xray and a Cat Scan on me to see what the cause was. The physician suggested trying my old prescription for a few days to see if my new glasses were the cause. Come to find out, the headaches were coming from my new glasses. The prescription is wrong. After speaking to someone at America's Best, I was told that I could only get a refund within 30 days. Headaches for 2.5 weeks + getting a doctor's appointment + scheduling an Xray + scheduling a Cat Scan took over 30 days because of insurance approval. So, I was exposed to radiation to get the medical test done for NO reason.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Landstown Commons store, Va. Beach, Virginia - First of all, let me start by saying that there is NOTHING BEST about America's Best. I had originally gone there for the current special which was 2 pairs of bifocals for $99.00. My visit started with an eye exam and then I had to pick out frames. After some discussion and explanation it finally ended up costing me approx. $250.00 instead of the $99. I had no problem with this and the glasses were ordered. I had to wait 10 days for the glasses to come in and when they did, they were not correct. I could not see through the top or bottom of the bifocals. After finally getting a manager to help, she said that she would send one pair out to have them reworked. After another week the pair of glasses came in and the manager called me saying that they were still wrong and she would give me a refund for my troubles.

I went to the store and the receptionist told me to sit down at the counter and someone would be with me. Well then she ended up coming over and attempting to help me by digging out the one pair of glasses that had not been sent out to the lab and wanted me to put them on. I informed her that I could not see through that pair and those weren't the pair that was sent to the lab for rework. She then told me that I would need to talk to a manager. Another lady came up to the counter and asked if I was being helped and before I could say anything the rude receptionist says to me, "I told you that a manager would be right with you". I replied to the receptionist that this lady was the one who asked ME the question and how would I know if she was a manager or not.

After a few quiet minutes a real manager came over and wanted to know what the problem was. As I attempted to explain things to her, she went into the computer to finally read the notes. They gave me the refund and wanted to reorder the glasses. After what I had been through with these people I decided not to let them reorder because if they couldn't get them right the first 2 times, what is the chance of getting them right a 3rd time plus having to wait another 10 days. I will just go to Pearl Vision, or someone else who knows what they are doing and order glasses. They never did show me the reworked pair that supposedly came back wrong. This happened to me and it is just my opinion that if you want good customer service along with a good product, go somewhere else.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

When I called to make appts. I asked to review my insurance info and tell me exactly what my wife and my exams would cost. They did and told me I have a $20 co-pay for each exam. We went and they took $25 off of each $79 exam, quoting fitting fees. Our insurance pays separate for those. So we ended up paying $54 each and when we asked them to explain, they couldn't and said either we pay it, or we get no contacts. They have very deceptive advertising practices. Then we were given a trial pair of contacts and was told to come back after 1 week, have our eyes checked with the contacts in and possibly incur more charges. The doctor wasn't there and the fill in was a retired eye doctor.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Stopped in at the Daytona Beach location on 8/18/17 to inquire on replacing my plastic frames which were damaged and inserting my lenses. Was told by a half interested person at the counter the cost would be $59.95. Six months earlier I had paid $69.95 for an exam and two pairs of glasses. I would strongly recommend to friends and associates through Facebook and our area newsletter stay clear of America's Best.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

AMERICA'S BEST MORROW GA - I went there before had an issue with the glasses and they replaced. The next time I bought them with insurance. The glasses broke and this time they want almost 100 to fix them. The manager didn't offer me the warranty, I mean if the manager can't treat you right. It made my day terrible.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

The reason I am writing this review is because upon reading through several other discouraging reviews on this site I haven't seen many for NC State and I've had an experience at the store in Fayetteville N.C. since July 13, 2017. Made an appointment, went to this place noticed right away there were a lot of desk attendees on staff that day but not a lot of customers. Was treated courteous but they were not overly friendly which is fine but kind of suspect as in, if a new place really wants your business they are usually very friendly and accommodating. This place was not. I was taken into a room and given a chart exam by a "desk clerk" with no clear identification on her, I mean, I'm sure she stated her name but I wasn't sure if she was even qualified to administer an exam to me. First red flag!

Secondly, was taken to wait in this locations only on staff doctor's exam room and when he came in it was so clear he was incompetent. Not only was he low key rude, he actually spooled off to me how much better glasses would be in lieu of contact lenses which I stated pretty clearly from the start was ALL I wished to receive at this time. When I repeated this he was clearly affected and actually insulted me saying that it was obvious that I had not been taking care of my eyes. This was a rude thing to say but I agreed to take "better care" in the future. Who says this in first meeting though? Anyway, his attitude after this quickly went downhill as he gave me an exam for my fitting and concluded that there were no trials matching my needs in stock that day. He actually told me he would give me "something" close to my prescription meaning, not my exact prescription but close no cigar? Second red flag!

He actually gave me a pair of trial contact lenses that were so off they gave me a headache and made me feel dizzy and nauseous! Of course I called the next day and was told by staff that my prescription lenses would be ordered in the contact lens brand I indicated and that I would be called when they arrived. However, a full week later I called to check and was told that indeed they had come in that I wasn't contacted due to oversight on their end. Less than 24 hours of wearing the new lenses I knew something was wrong and called them on a Monday to let them know. I was told to come in to discuss my options with the Doctor as the desk clerk informed me that I would need readers to supplement my prescription because it sounds like I have a presbyopic condition according to her assessment.

Keep in mind she never identified as an "eye doctor" optician or optometrist but she told me I needed reading glasses due to my age and age related condition she assumed I have. Third red flag! and I should've ran the other way after this but I wanted to see so I agreed to come in a third time. For the second time I spoke to on staff doctor who was a bit friendlier than on first meeting but who did not have a clue about my situation with the lenses I was given or any clear idea of what to do after I told him my prescription was clearly off. His incompetence forced me to ask for a trial pair of my old prescription and upon inserting these fresh lenses I noticed a marked improvement in my vision, no readers needed. I feel that the overall visit was a waste of money and time. I would never recommend this place to anyone. If you are considering going to America's Best please RUN!!!

America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Company Information