1.59/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

849 America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Once again, no confidence of ordering my contacts from this company. Every year, it's a different excuse from them. The online prescription doesn't match the written prescription. Errors happen, so I went into the store today, and they blamed it on a 3rd party company they pay. So now another organization has my information, and the local store said they have no access to fix. Nothing they can do. We are talking about my eyes. Would you trust them now? I'd rather pay double for better service and confidence than deal with them ever again!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I went to the location at North DeKalb Mall. Chose from their limited style frame of $59.99 just to end up with a bill of $400 because they charge per lens. You can easily get a better deal at Walmart even after paying for the eye exam. The frames they have there a definitely cheaper at Walmart, and upon that they couldn't give me the little cloth to clean my glasses with, that I should buy them because the free ones are out of stock, after all that money.

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I went into America's Best to get new lens (I already had the prescription) put in existing frames. The sales rep was nice, but even after I told him I had had cataract surgery in both eyes within the year and would only use the glasses for driving in unfamiliar places (needed just a tweak to see street signs a long way off), he quoted me a price for the most expensive lens. I said no, not paying that. So he went to the next level and I agreed to the $144 price (after insurance cost).

He was writing it up when he said "Oh, I need to tell you that if THEY break your frames while putting in the lens, they'll give you a $50 credit toward a new pair of our lens." "Say again??? You're saying if THEY break my expensive frames, they'll not replace them or pay me for them, but give me $50 credit?" "Yes, that's company policy," he said. I told him I didn't trust them to send them in and return them without being broken if they're not more careful than to have to tell every customer that and said "Thank you for your time, but I'll go somewhere else." Won't set foot in that store again...and wish I had read these reviews before I went to begin with.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

After having my glasses for only for months the nose piece completely broke off, which should be considered a manufacture defect. I was told there is no warranty unless you buy one. What kind of company doesn't back their product especially for the cost incurred. I contacted them and they said they could give me 50% off a new frame but that was the best they could do. I've worn glasses all of my life and have never been so disappointed with quality and care about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I work 80 miles away from Opelika AL. America Best store. My appointment was at 5:30 pm. I arrived 7 min late due to traffic. The dr would not see me. No one was there for an appointment but me. I drove all that distance for nothing. Never will I go back anyway, I was only going to get my prescription (which I had paid for because I was a gold member) to take to another store (Walmart) because the glasses my family purchased was pure crap. We had to keep taking them back to replace screws, nose pieces, etc. KKR Owens - this group plenty of money, they are not going to respond nor help you. I will reply back if they do (don’t hold your breath). Please check the reviews of a co before using them. Wish that I had.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I went in yesterday at the McKinney TX office and asked if I could get a screw put in my glasses that I had purchased. Very nice well-dressed lady told me that she could help me and took my glasses. First off I should have known something was wrong when she took my glasses and left the Lenses that had popped out. She came back and told me that my Lenses would pop out again. Reason being she bent my frames and now the glasses are not straight on my face. This is just crazy, you go in to get a screw put in and come out with your glasses crooked on your face.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Second time I've used this company, both in Charleston, SC and Brick, NJ. I found them to be highly professional, thorough and they went out of their way to make sure I was happy with my purchases. In the Brick, NJ establishment two weeks ago, a young lady was even kind enough to fix my husband's frame for free while I shopped around for my frames. I have had my share of bad experiences that included incorrect scrips, bifocal lines incorrect and also my share of excellent experiences from high dollar eye physicians and I can say that America's Best is truly reasonable in their product they sell the consumer. They do not lack in service and/or experience in any way and I recommend you give the company in your area a try.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Went in 12/11/18 to get eyeglasses. Got exam selected frames & lenses & 619.95 for 2 pair... When the glasses came back prescription was all wrong, bifocal line up too high & they broke the arm of one frame trying to 'fix' the lens. Their customer service is absolutely horrible. When I called to try to discuss the problem they left me on hold for a long time then hung up on me. I'll never recommend it ever go back to these ppl!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Don't let the 69.95 price with a free exam fool you!! So I don't have eye care insurance anymore so when I saw the "two pair and a free exam for 69.95, I was elated. Everyone was very kind, but when it came time to pay I was told the total price was 570.00. Boy what a rip-off!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I bought a pair of glasses with Oakley frame. We paid $180 for frame plus the cost of two lenses. After 3 months when the both temples of the frame came off we realized that it was a cheap frame, it might not be worth $180. Anyway thinking that the manufacturer warranty would cover the replacement, we went and asked to replace frame. We were told that there is no manufacturer's warranty for frame and lenses in America's Best, we were supposed to purchase warranty. They told me I have to pay $180 again to purchase a replacement frame. When you buy a small tool such as hammer or plier or an appliance such as hair dryer or coffee grinder in Walmart it has one year warranty. In America's Best (Worst may be more appropriate) for a $180 frame no manufacturer warranty. Please never buy glasses at America's Best. It's a worst place with worst customer service. Later I bought a nice pair of glasses (Ray-Ban frame plus lenses) for less than $200.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I went it and bought two pairs, paid over $400 for both pairs and had warranties on both, within six months my frames that I used daily had broken. Went in only to be told "I must have forgotten to add the warranty on your glasses." Silly me just bought a new pair and made sure they was a warranty this time. So here we are less than six months later and needing my frames and lenses replaced under my warranty only to be told they can't replaced them without me having an eye exam and that they can't replace the lenses at all. But don't worry, it's only $290 out of pocket again for them...

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I had an eye exam at America’s Best. I’ve always wondered why my eyes appear to be getting worst. It’s not my eyes. It’s the glasses. I only have medicine in the lower part. I have to hold my glasses at the tip of my nose to see. And their for distance. Never will I go back.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

America's Best eyeglasses, I usually don't write a review, but in this case, I will. I got 2 eyeglasses and an eye checkup. If you want somewhere cheap go there and get the regular but keep in mind they are cheap glasses you can get at Costco. Go to a specialty and do a better job of checking your eyes. I will not use them again. Wastes of 70.00 I just spends.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Understand with the commercial/advertising that glasses at $69.99 for two pair with exam. No way, told price over $205 worked down to $174. Daughter broke glasses. Felt locked in. Beware. All a scam, false advertising. Shame on this company. Will never go there again. Only time will tell of quality.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Went in to get new lenses put in existing frames. Had to go to an specialist for my exam. They advertise 2 pairs of men's glasses including frames as low as $79.00 including exam. Well, I did get blended lenses and a non glare coating. The total was $275.00. No exam, No lenses for only 1 pair. That is $205.00. This is outrageous. If you want simple exam and crappy frames, this is the place to go.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Purchased 2 pair glasses. Week later took in 2 Kirkland frames to have new RX lenses in old frames (have birds & use these). As my lenses fell out of frame, took out Kirkland glasses to use while daughter went to get glasses repaired. Noticed the Kirkland glasses RX were my old lenses. Went to store and ask why charged and lenses not changed. Manager called me a liar and said I had the lenses done somewhere else. Drove across parking lot and went into Costco to see if these were my old RX from them. To my amazement, the lenses were never changed. Be careful, it’s not amount the money, it’s pretty made when you have a receipt for work to be done, Mgr calls a 73-year woman a liar. Called the 800 complain line, to no one's surprise, no return call. Be careful and remember,”you get what you pay for, HAHA”.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

The worst scam I have ever experienced. DO NOT GO! After a long drawn out explanation of the costs which became quite complicated, the bottom line was one pair of regular glasses $800.00. I walked out.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I highly recommend America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses were they offer the best prices in sight! The place I went to is located on SW Hall Boulevard, in Greenberg Corners in Tigard. I had a wonderful experience there yesterday. Everyone who works there was very professional, attentive and knowledgeable. I am waiting for my glasses to be ready to pick up in about two weeks. I am grateful for the eye exam I had done which was free and I have high hopes my glasses will be perfect and will make a big difference in my life.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

WORST glasses lenses ever! I wore my pair less than a year, taking good care of them, & they were scratched up so badly, so I took advantage of my warranty & got free new pair. It's about 6 months later & using ONLY special fabric cleaners for them & the lenses are totally scratched up again!! NEVER EVER GOING BACK THERE AGAIN!!! And their staff herded us customers (not patients) like we were cattle...going from waiting area to room, back to waiting area, then another room, waiting area again, etc.

After I recently went to an actual credible eye exam I was told that America's Best OVERPRESCRIBED my lenses prescription!! I knew I wasn't seeing as clear as I should've been. Dr said the last place I went (America's "Best") had to have really dropped the ball on my Rx glasses. Also America's Worst said that I had cataracts in BOTH of my eyes when in fact I did NOT! If it wasn't a waste of time & money, I should sue for incompetence, seriously! ***DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR VISION!!!***

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Paid for a pair of glasses and had to have the redone, still cannot see properly. Will not recommend this place to a dead person much less a friend. Lousy store, lousy customer service. Do not go to this rip off place.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I had both eyes examined. Ordered two pair of glasses--one for reading-- one for distance. After receiving and trying both, I was happy with the reading. But, the left eye results with the distance glasses was worse with the glasses than without. I called where I had the examination and explained my problem. I was given another appointment the next week and had my left eye reexamined and sent the glasses in again for the corrected lens. I received the second corrected pair, got home and discovered the same problem as the first pair. I decided to try through the AMERICA'S BEST website to try and have a different examiner retest my left eye. NO REPLY!

I emailed them a second time also without a reply. Here is a copy of my two emails I sent: AMERICA"s CHOICE {WEB Contact online} "I had my eyes checked twice {left eye}. I still have a vision problem {left eye} from about 12 feet away. I can see better without my new glasses than with {left eye}. I would like a different person to do the next exam in the Pearland, Tx. area. ALSO--- After receiving my corrected pair back, they did not give me my original receipt.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

I have a long history with America's "best". I bought the contract for Eyecare Club. I alternate between glasses and contacts. What got me in was I was having trouble seeing the board in a classroom. (I'm middle-aged.) I receive the glasses a couple weeks later (post exam). I can't see, and it's worse. Back I go. Bit of attitude at the desk, but I got another exam. New prescription... and wait. Ok, now I've had to move to the front of class and still things are fuzzy. Back I go... this time attitude included eye roll... I went ballistic. I want a different doc!! Serious argument but I have no problems speaking up in a crowded store. New eye exam by a young pleasant doc... Surprise! One look and he immediately said... "Oh, well, I understand why your vision is blurry... you have bilateral capsular cataracts." Ok... now I'm stunned... cataracts in your 30s???

I won't say what I was thinking when I left there. Went to an ophthalmologist and it was true... so why didn't the first clown see this in TWO exams??? Still... it's a cheap way to get a prescription and some spare glasses. It will cost you that for a prescription. Do NOT let them con you on that. It is illegal not to give you the script when asked. CHECK IT against your records!! The first one had a major error (which I feel was intentional). They'll also leave off the pupil to pupil. I had to ask. Seriously... why give bad service? People who like you are more likely to go along with something. The key to making this work is JUST SAY NO. If you can't go in there and when pushed say, "I WANT THE 59 DEAL... I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING ELSE." And say it in a demanding manner, go elsewhere or you will get seriously screwed.

Now, once you're dealt with them... go to zenni.com and get your glasses with all the coatings, bifocal, etc at a fraction of the cost... and they were back and on my face a week before ABO had my glasses back. Know your prescription and be able to say no in a final and hostile manner if needed. I've been to several different places and they vary immensely. Richmond was great. Middle River/MD - also great. Atl/Decatur long waits and hard time getting a correct script when I wouldn't take the screw job, Kenner/LA - the idiot that couldn't see the cataracts.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

There was a sale for 2 pair bifocals $99 and I stupidly walked out paying $165 for 1 pair of bifocals and 1 pair of reading glasses. Also exam supposed to be free, NOT, I was charged for it. I feel some people want discount because they can't afford $500 Pair of glasses.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I purchased glasses and a warranty just to find out the warranty is a 1 time use. This place has very bad customer service. It takes them over 24 hrs for them to even return a call. They act like they are doing you a favor. I have purchased glasses with Vision Source for over 6 yrs and I have used my warranty several times throughout the year. I may have paid a little extra but it was worth it cause I did not get the runaround and did not get taken advantage of. So I highly recommend do not use this place. Do not waste your time and money. Stick with what you know, not who will take your money.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Based on the TV commercials I drove an hour to Asheville North Carolina to get 2 pairs of glasses for $69 including the eye exam as advertised. The eye doctor was terrific. I felt like I got a thorough exam and felt confident as I went to look for frames. I found their selection to be extremely limited and quite boring to be honest. But I finally found a sa couple of frames that I liked. I paid extra for a one frame. The person who fits you for the glasses tabulated the cost and I nearly fell off the chair when she told me the final cost was $534. What happened to the 2 pairs for $69?

Oh but they neglect to tell you in the ad if you have progressives or any other specifics it's significantly more money. I don't have a problem with paying for ads but I do have a problem with being lied to and lured there under false pretenses. Then I order the glasses and I ask when I can pick them up. Now I've worn glasses all my life. The smallest eyeglass centers have your glasses back in A-day or so. I practically fell off the chair for the 2nd time when she told me it would take 2 weeks. What a rip off! I would never go back.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Although I would love to give this location less than 1 star, I did have a good experience with the first two ladies that I was able to speak with and get advice on glasses. My issue was with the old blonde/white haired woman, Diane. When my boyfriend and I were looking at frames to choose from, I had asked her opinion about which pair looked better on me, from the two I had selected. Diane was rude and making comments to me about how I needed a different pair that looked better on my face. As this was her opinion and I fully understand that, she continuously made remarks to me about how my prescription would limit my available choices for frames and that the ones I had picked out were ugly. YES! She actually told me that the ones I liked, were ugly.

As this was just her opinion, I let it go. A few moments later, she pulled my boyfriend aside, and told him that I was making a huge mistake and I would regret it, and once again, that the frames I chosen would look terrible. Immediately after this, she walked around the store to the other employee ladies and I overheard her telling them that "she is going to look terrible with any of those glasses, what a mistake she is making". With rage building up inside, I just informed her that I wanted to get an estimated price on what I would be paying out of pocket for both the frames and lenses, she began telling me that my insurance would pay up to $120 for the frames and that we could see about the rest later.

During this time, she kept pushing me to get "Designer Frames" which I had said several times I was not interested in, I informed her that I enjoyed the frames I had chosen and wanted to see a price on the lenses because I knew what my insurance covered for the frames. Her reply... "well if you think you know what your insurance covers then go ahead and tell me."

As you can imagine, I was so furious with this lady. Her opinions I can understand and accept, but going around the store telling people I would look terrible in the glasses, and then getting rude with me thinking that I didn't know what my own insurance covered. I immediately told her she was being rude, and I left the store, and unfortunately because of her rudeness, I cried a little in my car, because come on, she was telling people I would look ugly. How rude!

I went to a different location a little further from my home, and the employees were so nice! They sat me down and explained to me how much the lenses would cost out of pocket and all of the great deals that they could offer me. I set up an appointment with them and immediately called and canceled the one from University Hills. Even at the other location, I had spoke to them about Diane being rude and they told me that she had several complaints made about her being rude to customers and that they stopped having her come to their store because of her attitude. What a terrible person this woman was, I have never met someone so rude.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I was a client at the Glenburnie, MD location and had several glasses purchased and changed on 2 different occasions. One year later. Roughly 2 weeks ago I went for a new pair since I broke my old pair. I was given progressive lenses for 2 pair and had 1 with transitions done. I was having issues with the power of them. I work in MD and live in PA. I went to the Fairless Hills location and they looked at my visit in MD and saw 3 yes 3 times MD changed my pupillary distance. I think that is an issue 1st. I go to MD for a refund because I will never go to that store again. They keep my $45 exam fee and never ask if they can help with the issue. The Dr. in PA does my exam and like before I need only regular nonprogressive lenses, no reading need just the 1 prescription.

When I check out I am told the charges and asked about anti-glare, a catch resistant etc. Not once was I asked about the extras except for me saying I wanted transitions was asked. I was charged for all upgrades without being asked. I am not an eyeglass salesmen and have no clue what bill has on it that is necessary or not. Find out most item not needed, only if wanted. I am appalled, disgusted and just upset at the MD Dr., optometrist and general staff at Glen Burnie, MD store. I can not express how thankful I am that I went to the Fairless Hills, PA store to correct this issue. The Dr. was great and more in depth with the exam and Nicole the General Manager was understanding, so helpful and will keep me as a client of America's Best. I will not use the MD store and my family I have in MD will never as well.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

My appointment was at 3:20 pm on a Tuesday afternoon. Not busy at all. My appointment was completed by 630 pm. After I had my exam they had me sit in the waiting room an additional hour or longer just to check out I was not getting glasses or contacts so I don't understand why I had to wait to check out. On the phone they assured me they took my medical insurance. At check out they said they don't accept my insurance. THIS PLACE IS A JOKE.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Appointment with America's Best at 11:20, arrive 11:10. Waited 1 hour before being seen. Doctor was not polite and wanted to know how come I had contacts not supplied by them? After being seen I waited another 45 minutes to pay the bill and be told they did not have the contacts in stock. They would call me in about 2 weeks! Last time they never called. I had to call them and they said "yes your contacts have been in". I bought the 3 year plan for my wife and I and this was the last visit on this plan, NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Every time I walk into the store everyone is extremely friendly and eager to help. Everyone answers all of your questions with ease and in a friendly manner. Working in the customer service field and dealing with grumpy people all day makes it even more refreshing to walk in and immediately feel welcomed. Highly recommend America's Best in Hamburg, NY.

America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Company Information