Consumer Reviews and Complaints

So, I'm finally writing a review after recommending Zenni for years to friends who complain about glasses being too expensive. I've been buying from them since they first started selling online, and I've always been satisfied with the designs and the prescription accuracy. It's true, they're not ultra designer frames with the prestige of having a big name label. But... for someone like me who has no idea what looks good, doesn't care about designer labeling, and has broken more than one expensive pair of frames in my time, it's the perfect option.

I like the "try them on" feature where you can upload a photo and see a preview of how they'll look. It's not really the most accurate in my experience; sometimes the glasses look way smaller than they actually are. But, I can get a feel for how the shapes will look and they have clear measurements and sizing filters so I don't end up with baby frames. I own three pairs right now - I broke a couple pairs (stepping and sitting on them. Nothing to do with their product), but I am always looking at their new styles to see what else might be fun to try. I love the sunglass lens options - really cool color and gradation options. I've never gone beyond the basic lens and some sunglass tint, but for a simple, affordable pair of sunglasses, Zenni will probably always be my favorite.

I'm surprised on the negative comments. I got a pair of glasses with progressive lenses and a pair of sunglasses for about $59 total -- and they work fine. My hope is that Zenni would fix their customer service problems because with happy people, they tell others. Unhappy people tell others. If you are looking for new suckers, then you will be outed by another company that does what you are doing but concentrates on keeping customers happy. Since it sounds like Zenni is buying from a China company, it cost them with every return, which is why they are avoiding taking care of people. Short term gain for long term collapse.

Glasses for 1/4 the cost! Pros: Get a good pair of glasses with great lenses at a very affordable price. Cons: You don't get to try them on and see how they fit first. They aren't fitted to your face by a professional. The lenses are fantastic but the frames aren't going to last you forever. One of the screws has come out twice, there's a little finish coming off the inside of the right temple and that same temple is a little wobbly even though it's tight in the frame. I haven't subjected the glasses to abnormal wear or tear. I think they cost less than $10 and another $85 for the lenses. No scratches on the lens whatsoever. My optometrist was going to charge me over $500 for a pair of some fancy plastic frames and high index lenses with anti-glare and UV protection. With my very good insurance, I was going to have to pay 40% of that $500+. It's worth the minor inconveniences given the price.

I have ordered from Zenni for my wife 3 times, her mother twice and a niece once. Every order has been correct and the glasses were exactly as ordered and much less expensive than otherwise available at conventional stores. One word of caution, when you get a new prescription from an eye specialist, compare it to the other ones that you may have had in the past. Zenni makes what you order (mistakes can happen). But I found obviously wrong prescriptions two times out of 6 by the eye specialists. Also, you must take care to ensure that the prescription is input correctly. If you screw up, that is your mistake. Zenni did ask on the initial orders for each, that I scan and send the prescription to ensure that there was no mistake and I appreciate that caring about accuracy.

I like Zenni Optical's price. In between my wife and my kids, I've bought 30 to 40 pairs of glasses from them. And, I just ordered recently a pair of black-grey plastic frame with blue lens sunglasses but I haven't gotten them yet. I liked the way their arms were. I do a lot of gardening at home and the arms look like they won't just slip right off my head when I'm sweating. And then when I was searching for the sunglasses, I was looking at another pair but then this particular one popped up that others recommended. So, I chose that.

My prescription is already saved on there. But generally, I'll search in the men's and then I'll select a frame that I like. And then, if I get any discounts, because sometimes I'll get emails, I'll put that in there and then order my glasses. I get an updated email right after I order. And then once the frame is about to ship, I get another email. So, that's what I'm waiting for now. Depending on what selections I pick, which generally is a standard one, it takes about three weeks from start to finish. Overall, they can't beat them for the price and the quality of the item. In fact, I've recommended a lot of people from my Church to check them out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

I'm with Regional Assistance and a lot of the girls there had started buying some glasses at Zenni and they told me about it. After I uploaded my photo, I started clicking on different glasses that I liked which puts them in a queue for me and so the website saves my favorites. Then, once I've tried them on my face and I like how they look, I just put them in a cart and I go order them. I type my prescription in, which is really easy because it's labeled exactly like a prescription from a doctor's label, and I go from there. The last ones I bought are black and I went with something simple, something I can throw on with anything I wear. I like them and I've told people about it, so I've got other people ordering off of Zenni now, too. It's very affordable for anybody. Plus the quality has been fantastic. I've had a pair of glasses that's been through so much. Even a four-month-old has dragged them off my face and they don't break.

I decided to order from Zenni Optical because of the pricing. They had a wide variety of frames available and after going through it, I got a metal-framed, full-rimmed glasses. The ordering process was easy enough and my overall experience with Zenni Optical has been quick and cheap.

I received my new pair of glasses in only a week (taking in mind that it was a little delayed) and they are perfect. Just as described in the site for a very comfortable price. The glasses arrived in a regular package safe inside a hard cased cover with a cleaning cloth and a PD ruler. This is the first time I buy with them and I will buy more.

I ordered 3 pairs of glasses a year ago and only ended up keeping one pair. You can't beat the price, but glasses that make your eyes hurt are hardly worth even $10. I tried one pair a couple times and they always made my eyes hurt after a few hours and gave me a headache. I double checked my order and I had listed the right prescription, but they must have used something else as they definitely bothered me, unlike my other glasses. I contacted the company but they said they couldn't do anything outside of the one month warranty. They wouldn't even verify the prescription, which I was willing to settle for. I ended up throwing them away. Don't waste your money.

I found Zenni online years ago. They happened to have the style that I was looking for at the time, and I've been using them for years ever since. When we first started, the one thing that I remember was the distance between the pupils, which most prescriptions do not put down because they're trying to sell you the glasses. Once we got our first prescription, they gave us the little measuring device that sits on the bridge of our nose, and it was very easy to figure it out after that. Everything we ever got was exactly what we wanted and we've never had a problem with anything. I've given a couple of people on my staff the website, and I know that they have bought also and have been happy with the results of what they got.

My husband was happy with what he had gotten from Zenni so I chose them. The first time, I wasn't overly happy with the glasses because the screws were always coming undone so I've had to replace the screws numerous times. It's the frame-less kind that doesn't have a frame on it, and that was what the problem was because all that holds it is the wire pieces in between and the ear pieces. If it came the littlest bit loose, it was not right on my face and it would just move around. I called Zenni and complained to them and they said that there wasn't anything they could do except send me a new set of screws, which is what I ended up getting and what I've been using. I had just gotten a pair recently and those glasses are fine. I just can't wear them because I just got diagnosed with diabetes and my eyes changed so they don't work for me anymore. But the frames were beautiful and Zenni definitely has a good selection.

I ordered glasses with progressive lenses back in October. I spent a month trying to get used to them as recommended. Finally went to have them checked at optometrist (who first wanted to charge me $65.00 to have my eyes re-checked) and they are SINGLE VISION and even that is the wrong prescription! Called Zenni and they said they were out of warranty. You only have 30 days to figure out what their QA department won't, so don't assume it's your eyes, assume it's them.

Zenni Optical was my mother-in-law's recommendation and I went with them because of their price. I've placed several orders and the last one was months ago. I got a variety of glasses including some daily wear glasses, a pair of transition lenses, and a pair of sunglasses. I went through some of the glasses that I had owned previously and found dimensions and shapes that were similar to what I know I like. Zenni has an amazing selection of frames and a very easy ordering process. I first selected the glasses I want, put them on a wish list, and then put the ones I decided to purchase into the cart. I then uploaded my prescription from my eye doctor before checking out. I love that I can have a variety of glasses and I'm very satisfied with my experience with Zenni.

Resolution In Progress

Hi Jill!

We're so sorry to hear about your glasses! We offer this pair in three options: black, brown tortoiseshell with purple flecks, and classic tortoiseshell. We'd be happy to issue you a 100% store credit to reorder with the classic tortoiseshell instead of our patterned brown tortoiseshell with purple flecks.

Please feel free to send us a private message if you'd like to discuss this further.

Thank you!

Zenni Optical

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

I ordered a pair of glasses through Zenni that were listed as being a tortoise shell color. I got them last night and when I opened up the box, I saw PURPLE all over my supposed tortoise shell frames. When I contacted them to complain, they said the glasses are stated as having purple flecks in them. I can tell you that if I had seen that description, there is no way I would've bought those frames. In any case, purple flecks is not what I got. I got frames that were so mismatched color-wise that I won't wear them. There's purple all over a tortoise shell color. No flecks. It's everywhere. They said they will refund half of my purchase price, which I think stinks. Way to stand behind your product, Zenni. Clearly it's not about the satisfaction of your customer. Half of a refund? Purple and tortoise shell color? Awful, awful, awful. I will never do business with them again. Buyer beware.

I've had a good experience with Zenni which I learned through a co-worker. I got half-rim glasses because it is better with my face. I love the quality of my glasses.

I ordered my second pair of glasses with Zenni. I put them on and wondered why my right eye was really blurry. I took them to my eye doctor and he looked at them. He told me that they put the wrong axis in the glasses. I ordered it with a (5) and they put in a (95). I called the company and they told me it was my fault that I ordered them wrong. I told them how did I ordered it wrong when I made sure it was correct before placing an order. Plus the they put in a -225 and it was suppose to be -250. They told me that I ordered it like that. The left eye was made right but not the left. They told me that I can send my glasses back and get store credit. I told my man what they said. Like if I want to have another pair messed up again. I am done. I will not recommend Zenni Optical to no one. I am taking my business somewhere else from now on. One thing that I thought it was funny about their policy. 100% money back guarantee. What a joke.

I've ordered several pairs of glasses from Zenni Optical. They have the same quality as any other glasses I've got but they're a lot less expensive. I was very pleased with Zenni.

I had an eye examination a few months back and was told my prescription hadn't changed, so I didn't get new glasses at the time. Had NO IDEA anyone could order glasses online!!! Not only am I pleased with my new glasses, I can actually see BETTER with these. The most difficult part was measuring the distance between my pupils, but the instructions were quite clear and it was actually a snap. (I couldn't find a ruler, so I went online and printed out one.) I will never buy retail glasses ever again!!!

I ordered two pairs of glasses; one plastic frame, one metal frame. The metal frame ones are looking pretty awful after about 6 months of wear. Much of the paint has chipped off from the front of the glasses making them look beat up. The size of the frames was also much bigger than I thought. In the end you get what you pay for, right? Low price, cheap quality. Just didn't expect it to be that poor.

I got full rim glasses from Zenni Optical. The price was excellent, and I love the frames and the way they look and fit. However, they seem strong so I haven't been wearing them. I haven't been back to my eye doctor to have them tested, and see if the prescription was wrong. The glasses were so inexpensive. I'm used to paying $300 for a pair of glasses, so $100 was such a good buy. So, if they don't work, I won’t lose that much. In fact, I would order different styles.

The ordering process at Zenni was very simple and straightforward. The only problem was the anti-reflective coating option. On the first screen, it offers the one that is about $15 and it has the special blue-like coating. On the next page was a regular anti-reflective coating for just $5. With my first pair, I got the $15 anti-reflective coating before I realized that I could have gotten the basic anti-reflective coating for just $5 on the next page over. That was a learning curve of ordering, but other than that, it was all very clear. I liked the little question mark icon where you can get more information on a certain lens type if you're unsure of what exactly you need. Overall I was very pleased with everything and I will definitely be ordering more glasses.

I liked the prices at Zenni and have ordered from them twice. The online ordering process was easy. I just placed the order and then got it. I usually go with the plastic rims and no pads. The glasses were great and the same goes for my overall experience.

My wife's daughter found Zenni Optical online and my wife told me about it. I've ordered five times from them since then. Everything gets to me on time and there's been nothing wrong with the glasses. I had to return my first pair of glasses because they didn't fit and they were very prompt and gave me credit and everything's been fine. The experience has been great and I've recommended them to several people.

We liked the glasses of some guy in Wal-Mart and he said he ordered them from Zenni. I tried them and I like how affordable they are. I don’t get my glasses covered by anybody, so I pay for them out of pocket. I've ordered from Zenni thrice and I usually get a plastic frame which I like better than some of the other ones, but I've had different ones every time. The glasses that I have received so far have pretty good quality. When I have them for too long though, sometimes the coating will start to come off, but I've had other glasses from other places do that too. Also, the choices are a lot but a little limited sometimes. I ordered for my mother and she has progressive lenses, and there's a whole lot less choices on hers. Nevertheless, I've recommended them to my customers.

I placed an order with Zenni Optical on January 5th. I paid for the shipping that would allow for delivery in 10 to 14 days however I am on day 20 and my glasses still have not shipped. Customer service lied to me on the phone and told me they had shipped. However when I asked for a specific delivery date she told me they were actually still sitting in manufacturing. No one can tell me when I will receive my glasses. I was told it may be another two weeks. They gave me a refund of $2.50 for my inconvenience. Are you kidding me? $2.50 does not cover the inconvenience of not having a new prescription. I will never use Zenni Optical again. There was no offer to remedy the situation.

I won't ever buy from Zenni Optical again. I bought glasses from them because I lost mine. They were supposed to be here in 2 weeks, but they didn't pass inspection so they had to be remade. And again, they did not pass inspection. We call customer service and they've made a third pair that haven't gone through inspection yet. By this point I'm so irritated I just want my money back so I can just go get some from Walmart. But, no. They only give refunds within the first 24hrs of your order. Which is outrageous. They wouldn't even refund the entire $8 shipping, they gave us like $3 left. It's been a week since we called, still no glasses!

Everything has been great with Zenni. We bought lenses for my kid and were very satisfied with the service. However, I was not that happy with the quality of the screws and the small parts of the frames a couple of times. I also had requests about the warranty and they did it.

I ordered progressive lenses from Zenni. Got them, looked great. Soon I realized that I could not focus the same out of each lens. I had to tip my head up with one eye closed to focus. Had to do the same thing, tip my head down for the other eye to focus. I returned them. Put my old glasses on and could see perfectly. Zenni replied after receiving the returned glasses and said these glasses are perfectly ok. My options- get a 50% credit on my purchase or get 100% one time store credit. Why would I want to reorder the glasses and trust they could get it right a second time? It cost me $60 to deal with Zenni. Can't recommend them to anybody. Save your money and go somewhere else that will stand behind their workmanship.

It was very easy to get glasses through Zenni and they also have good prices. I like their selection, as well. I've ordered from them four pairs of glasses for myself, one pair for my dad, one pair for my mom, and I've ordered a few pairs for my sister. I've had my Zenni Optical eyewear for almost a year now. I love the whole process of getting glasses through them. I've recommended Zenni to several of my friends and they've used it too.

Every time I call I am told it's longer than a 30 minute wait time. That right there makes me not want to use them. But the order was already placed. Now the problem, They have the glasses on HOLD for no reason and should have been manufactured already. I finally get thru, only to be told they'll email the Lab and I should hear something in 24 hrs, ANOTHER WAIT!! I am not happy with this company at all.

Zenni Optical Company Profile