Call toll free
3.55/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2003 by two scientists, Zenni Optical has grown from a small, local San Francisco company to one of the largest online optical retailers. Their mission is to provide affordable eyewear, and offer a wide selection from prescription eyeglasses to custom goggles. Their manufacturing process uses the most current materials and ship directly from their factory, cutting out the middleman. Zenni's catalog lists over 6,000 frames and is manufactured in their 248,000 square-foot facility and is passed through a rigorous quality control inspection before being shipped to you. Visit their website today to find the perfect pair for you!

Zenni Optical Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1238 Zenni Optical Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 15, 2019

I have ordered 16 pairs of glasses with Zenni. My latest order was made on 2/12/19. I selected standard shipping (14-21 days) as I typically do. Today is 3/15/19 and I still have not received my order. I contacted their live chat on 3/6/19. 22 days after my order, I called and was told that my glasses had not shipped from their shipping office in California and that they would send them out that day. I was told I would receive a email with a tracking number. In fact I received an email on 2/15/19 stating that my glasses were being made to the highest quality and that a tracking number would be sent soon. Well I had to follow up to get my tracking number and the first time I got it was on 3/8/19.

At this point I was only mildly frustrated. My glasses were slated to arrive on 3/9/19. Due to the USPS my package stated delivered however I never received it. I contacted Zenni and they told me that I would need to contact them in 2 days. After the two days I was told to wait till later the following day and that if I did not receive my glasses they would remake them. Well later that night I get an email stating that they were going to remake my glasses and send them priority mail this time. I requested that the glasses be sent express. Thanks to Zenni they offered to cover the charge for the shipping. They also refunded my original shipping cost of $5.

Now here is the where the fun starts. I reached out to them to see if I could get UPS Express Plus shipping rather than going through USPS. I was told yes. I thought I had clearly communicated that I wanted the glasses by 3/17/19 at the latest. At the moment I have talked to more customer service representatives than I would care to count. I currently do not have a tracking number for glasses that were apparently already mailed out. I have no idea where my order is or when to expect it. My current account doesn’t even reflect that my order is being remade. It simply states that my original order is complete.

The only correspondence I have for my record are the screenshots I took because every time I would request that the transcript be sent to my email it would never send. I miss the Zenni of old. This is not the customer “care” I would expect of a company that historically I have raved about. I have spent hundreds of dollars. At this point I just want all of this resolved but ultimately I want clear communication.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about your first order, which apparently was not delivered to you, contrary to the information at the U.S. Postal Service website. You are a valued, longtime customer, and we welcome the opportunity to address your concerns. Of course, we are sorry that this order was not delivered to you, and we want to apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. We opened a claim with the post office and on March 11 we issued a courtesy remake of this order, which left our lab today, March 15, to be shipped to you via UPS Express. You should receive an email later today with the UPS tracking number, which you will be able to use to keep tabs on the shipment as it makes its way to you in Kansas City. However, we want you to know that we are very sorry that you did not get the first order, and that we do not have the option of overnight shipping. Consequently, we also want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. In addition, as an additional measure of apology, as well as an expression of our gratitude for your business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I ordered a pair of glasses with them on 02/23 and I paid extra for faster shipping. I was fine with the wait time as I know how tedious it is to make glasses and on top of that multiple. However, when I received my package, it was very poorly shipped. It was in a flimsy envelope with the glasses inside of a small ziplock. There was also a broken blue plastic eye case which I think what the glasses were supposed to be inside of but they offered no protection at all. The glasses were in a small ziplock bag that was freely moving inside of the plastic envelope. I opened the small ziplock to my glasses and immediately noticed that the frames were broken due to the bad shipping. I quickly emailed and called the customer service number to alert them of this and was told that they would send a replacement frame to my home. It was said to arrive but since then I have not gotten any word from the company with the tracking information or anything of use.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your review about the glasses that came packed badly, resulting in a broken frame. We were appalled by your description of the way the glasses were packed, and we want to apologize for this lapse in service. We also want to confirm that a replacement frame was mailed to you on March 10, 2019, and you should receive it in a day or two. However, since you also advised that you cannot see well through the lenses, and you confirmed that the prescription you entered on our website matches the prescription you received from the eye doctor, today after your online Chat with us, we emailed you instructions to return the glasses to us for an inspection, even though one temple arm is off the frame. Of course, when you have received the replacement frame, hold onto it. If we find that we made the glasses incorrectly, we will remake and send you the glasses. If something happens to the frame of the remade glasses, you will have a replacement frame ready to go. In addition to emailing you the instructions to return the glasses for an inspection, we also emailed you a prepaid shipping label to use for return postage. We are eager to receive the returned glasses, so that we may inspect them and, if our inspection finds we made them incorrectly, remake them for you for free. When we receive and inspect your glasses, we will email you the inspection results. We trust that this will resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I ordered some optical sunglasses here are the positive aspect: Delivered in 16 days on a (21-28 days expected delivery). The glasses were good and the prescription seems perfect and matched the model. I am very happy about the glasses. Where I am unhappy is that the case and/or the cloth had a strong pungent and acrid smell, like rat urine. So I had to rinse the glasses to get rid of the smell, and I threw away the case. I contacted the Zenni team and they offered to send a new case and a cloth, which I accepted it will unfortunately take around the same amount of time as the order which will be a bit late... To conclude, the glasses are good, the case was bad, Zenni agreed to replace the case.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your comments about the glasses you received from Zenni Optical. We are happy to know that your glasses came in a little more than two weeks, and that you are pleased with the frame and prescription lenses. However, we were disturbed to read your description of the smell of the case and the microfiber cleaning cloth, and we apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. We hope that you find the replacement case and cloth satisfactory, and free of any objectionable odor. We also hope that this will resolve this matter to your satisfaction. Moreover, as an additional measure of apology, as well as an expression of gratitude for your business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 11, 2019

Been a customer of Zenni’s for years. However, my last experience in trying to order glasses from you was pure nonsense. All my info is automatically filled in. This is what I encountered: Wrong address. Called Zenni’s. The gal told me that I was putting it in wrong… "No," I said, "It goes in automatically for years.” “Oh,” she said. Told me to call back the next day and things might be better. I thought to myself, You’re kidding me. Nope she wasn’t…had no idea how to help. So, I saw no other option but to “lie.”

Used another name and filled all the info myself and at check out I got “return to cart”. I would re-check over and over. I do know where I live and my phone number…However Zenni’s knew better. I would fill in United States, I would go back and it would read Canada. I would remove Canada and when I went back it was Mexico. This was with everything that I filled out. After 45 minutes I finally saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I am a paralegal and know how to fill out forms especially one from Zenni’s. Please, make your order form much more user friendly. Also, this is the important one. Train your customer service to be knowledgeable about the product so they can properly help customers.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, we’re sorry that this matter has been an ongoing source of annoyance, and it is disappointing to learn that our customer service representatives have been unhelpful regarding the shipping address. Therefore, we want to provide some information we hope you will find useful. When you log into your Zenni Optical account, you will see ORDER MANAGEMENT on the left-hand side of the page. Underneath this, you will see three categories: My Orders, My Payment Methods, and My Address Book. When you click My Address Book, you will see the shipping addresses you have saved. If you see any shipping addresses that are currently invalid, to the right of the address you will see two options: edit and remove. If you want to delete an address, click remove. If you simply want to edit an address, such as the street name with a typo, click edit. You will be able to change the address and then save it when you click SAVE at the bottom of this section. At the bottom of the saved addresses, you will see a button marked ADD NEW ADDRESS. When you click this, you will be able to add a new address, and if you want to make it your default shipping address, click the box next to Use as my default shipping address. We hope this information is helpful. Moreover, as an extra measure of apology, as well as an acknowledgement of our appreciation of our longtime business relationship, we are emailing you an item we hope that you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 10, 2019

Zenni gets credit for price point on their glasses. However, I scratched a lens (even with their anti-scratch coating). It scratched too easily. I then tried to buy a replacement lens. They do not sell replacement lenses according to their customer service dept. I would have to buy the entire glasses again. Mine are only 90 days old. It's a bit of a let down from an otherwise good purchase experience.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your review about one of your lenses getting scratched. We were sorry to read that one of your lenses is scratched, and we apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. Unfortunately, with the information you provided to Consumer Affairs, we were unable to locate an order placed by you using the telephone number, street address, and email address you provided. We would be happy to research this matter, but we need to identify the specific order, and any previous orders you placed with Zenni. Therefore, please reply privately with the Zenni Optical order number and the email address that is your Zenni Optical username, and we should be able to find this order in our database, as well as any previous or subsequent orders you placed. Then we will be happy to address this matter, we hope to your satisfaction.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

Original review: March 8, 2019

So I ordered 4 pair of glasses with Zenni. I really wanted to try a couple different options since this is the first year for Bifocals. I also wanted to try some transitions since I live in Sunny Arizona. I was definitely excited that I bought 4 pair for what it costs for 1. I paid extra to have it rushed since I am going on vacation and would like to have some options. They have been sitting in Manufactured status for several days. I chatted with them today. They have no idea when they will be sent out and will have to get back to me within 24 hours. The response received is that I will not get them on time. They are refunding me my shipping, but this is because I reached out to them. Now I see that they shut down for maintenance in March. Super cool! My wife ordered from EyeBuyDirect a couple days after me... Sadly she's rocking out new glasses on our trip.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the shipping time on your order. We are sorry that the delivery of your glasses is taking longer than you wished, and we apologize for any dissatisfaction you are experiencing as a result. Moreover, we would like to provide some information we hope will be helpful. Around the beginning of February (not March) each year, our lab is closed briefly for annual maintenance. We regret that this causes a backlog of orders, some of which are not delivered within the seven-10-day delivery time promise for Express shipping. However, today is the seventh day after your order was placed, and we hope that you receive your order within the delivery time promise, seven to 10 days after the order is placed, and before you leave for vacation. However, if your glasses are not delivered by Tuesday, March 11, the 10th day after you placed the order, they would be considered late. Regardless, even though they are not yet late, we are pleased to know that our customer service representative today advised that we will refund the Express shipping fee of $18.95 you incurred as a measure of apology, and that they offered you a promo code to use on your next order, as a further measure of apology and an expression of gratitude for your business. Thank you again for posting your complaint, and we hope that this information resolves this matter to your satisfaction. We also hope that you will be pleased with the glasses when you receive them.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I placed my order for two pair of glasses on 2/26. They have now been in Manufacturing since 3/1! I know it said 14-21 days but I thought it would go faster I guess. I know now to just pay extra for the faster shipping in the future.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the shipping time on your order. We are sorry that the delivery of your glasses is taking longer than you wished, and we apologize for any dissatisfaction you are experiencing as a result. Moreover, we would like to provide some information we hope will be helpful. Around the beginning of February each year, our lab is closed briefly for annual maintenance. We regret that this causes a backlog of orders, some of which are not delivered within the 14-21-day delivery time promise for Standard shipping. However, we are happy to confirm that today is the 10th day after your order was placed, so we expect that you should receive your order within the delivery time promise. However, if your glasses are not delivered by Tuesday, March 19, the 21st day after you placed the order, please telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you with a refund of your $4.95 shipping fee, since we would not have fulfilled our delivery time promise to you. Thank you again for posting your complaint, and we hope that this information resolves this matter to your satisfaction. We also hope that you will be pleased with the glasses when you receive them. In addition, as an extra measure of apology for this matter, as well as a gesture of appreciation for your business, we are emailing you an item we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I ordered from Zenni using my current prescription. I did not have my pupillary distance value on my RX so I had my wife measure my monocular pupillary distance using the downloadable ruler from Zenni and it seems she did a very good job as I can see excellent through these progressive multifocal lenses. I ordered a cheap pair of frames for 9.95 and the lenses were like 25 bucks so for less than 35 bucks I have a pair of glasses that work just as well as my designer glasses that I received from my local eye Doctor.

After I received my first pair I started ordering more pairs. There is no better deal in eyesight. Just make sure you correctly enter your RX and add the pupillary distance measurements. Most RX do not contain the pupillary distance measurement so you may have to measure yourself but it is quite easy using the Zenni supplied ruler. I guess they exclude this measurement to deter people from spending less online. I have been wearing glasses for almost 40 years and I have never had a pair last 2 years no matter how much money I paid for them. I am going to buy a pair every few months at these cheap prices. Thank you Zenni!

Original review: March 6, 2019

I am writing this to encourage others to give Zenni a try but double check everything!! I recently ordered three pair. I was pleased with the order overall. The lenses were correct and the frames seem to be adequately sturdy. Ive never ordered a tinted lens as I have a powerful prescription and lenses for me were just too expensive for me to be experimental. I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I really like the lavender tint of one of my pairs. Unfortunately I wont really be wearing that pair. When I went to place my order on my computer the site kept resetting, dropdowns were not functional and I was unable after a frustrating half hour to place my order. I have the new computer and other sites were working so it was on the zenni end.

I really liked what I had selected so I switched to my phone to complete the order. Unfortunately when I did, I selected a frame that was the same front, same purple color and same price but unbeknownst to me was not the original frame that I had selected but one with bedazzled childish flower earpieces...as I was just trying to get the order completed and I was unaware how many look alike frames there are on the site so I didn't check the 360. They weren't expensive enough to bother with a return but I was pretty bummed as they were the ones with the lovely lavender tint.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 5, 2019

I made an order for my glasses on 02/21/2019 and it’s still not here. My dad was like, "Does it really have to be exactly 21 days?" I haven’t been driving because I can’t see. I don’t think I can wait any longer. I give up. Wow Zenni. It’s been on manufactured since the 24th. I know this a good company because I have seen a lot of good reviews, just don’t choose standard shipping if you need it fast. I had all this joy when I made my order but now I am like where are my glasses.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the shipping time on your order. We are sorry that the delivery of your glasses is taking longer than you wished, and we apologize for any dissatisfaction you are experiencing as a result. Moreover, we would like to provide some information we hope will be helpful. Around the beginning of February each year, our lab is closed briefly for annual maintenance. We regret that this causes a backlog of orders, some of which are not delivered within the 14-21-day delivery time promise for Standard shipping. However, we are happy to confirm that your glasses are being mailed to you today, and we expect that you should have the glasses no later than Monday, March 11, but most likely sooner. We are separately emailing you the U.S. Postal Service tracking number, so that you may keep tabs on the package as it makes its way to you in Texas. If your glasses are not delivered by Thursday, March 14, the 21st day after you placed the order, please telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you with a refund of your $4.95 shipping fee, since we would not have fulfilled our delivery time promise to you. Thank you again for posting your complaint, and we hope that this information resolves this matter to your satisfaction. We also hope that you will be pleased with the glasses when you receive them.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I will admit that I was apprehensive about buying glasses online. I have no line bi-focals and need correction for an astigmatism. But I took the plunge and I am glad I did. My last pair of glasses from a well known national chain cost over $600.00. I just did not want to pay that much again. The pair I bought from Zenni, with the same Transition lens, about $145. I am very happy with how well I can see with them, and the quality seems very good. And I saved $500.00. To me that's not a small amount. I highly recommend Zenni.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I just received my first order from Zenni, these glasses have no effect, my prescription information wasn't used at all, they seem to be just clear plastic, not happy at all, I want what I paid for, or a full refund.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your review about the glasses you ordered from Zenni Optical, which you advise have no prescription in the lenses. We are sorry that these glasses do not appear to have your correct prescription, and we want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. We see that you did not include any values in the Sphere section of the prescription, which addresses nearsightedness and farsightedness. If you intended to include prescription values in the Sphere section for each eye, we are sorry that these were not included. Moreover, very minor corrections were included in the Cylinder section of the prescription, which, in combination with the AXIS values, are intended to correct an astigmatism. Since you advise that your prescription information was not used, we invite you to telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. You also could have an online Chat with one of our customer service representatives or email us and include in the email an attached copy of the prescription you got from your eye doctors. If you call, please have the prescription that you obtained from the eye doctor handy, because the customer service representative who answers will ask you to read the prescription to them, so that we can confirm that it was entered correctly. Also, if the PD is not on the prescription, please advise the representative how the PD was obtained – eye doctor measurement, friend or family measurement, or self-measurement. If you confirm that the prescription and PD were entered correctly, we can remake the glasses for you for free, or issue a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account, or a 50 percent refund of the price of the glasses to the credit card you used to pay for the order. If it turns out that the prescription or PD were entered incorrectly, we can offer the same two refund options. We very much hope to hear back from you, so that we may confirm the prescription and resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: March 4, 2019

The order was processed relatively quickly. Shipping time is as expected because the manufacturing is done in Hong Kong. The eyeglasses I received is in excellent condition. Zenni got the prescriptions right, so no issues with the lenses so far. I used the specs from my old glasses to ensure my new glasses will fit and it did. Pricing is very good. Much better than the retail stores that charge absurd and outrageous prices. I used my benefits so I ended up paying almost nothing. I told my co-worker about Zenni. He might consider giving it a shot because he recently got ripped off by a retailer. He paid $600 omw.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 3, 2019

Ordered several eyeglasses over the last few years with good quality and relatively fast shipping even standard. But this year I ordered on 02/18/2019 and the shipping has been absolutely terrible, (guess my fault for using standard shipping) which I think just tells the company they can place on the back burner. Customer is not in any hurry, and online tracking has said they have been manufactured since 3 days after my placed order, and still does. I was reading other reviews and seen the same problem with another customer and he was told that this time of year the plant is shut down for maintenance. If this is true why not tell customers upfront. I need my glasses. I will probably not order again from Zenni. I can get glasses local in same day, they may be more expensive but at least I can get them. Just terrible Zenni. Terrible!

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the shipping time of your most recent order. We are sorry that, as you acknowledged, regular annual maintenance at our lab has created a backlog of orders still to be shipped to customers, and that this backlog has caused your order not to be delivered as quickly as your previous orders with Zenni Optical. Consequently, we apologize for any disappointment you experienced as a result. Nevertheless, we can confirm that today is the 14th day after you placed your order, and the shipping method you selected, Standard shipping, comes with a delivery-time promise of 14-21 days. Insofar as today is day 14, we can confirm that your shipment is not late. It would be late if it does not arrive by next Monday, March 11, 2019. Should the package arrive after March 11, please telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you with requesting that our lab issue a refund of your $4.95 shipping fee to the credit card you used to pay for the order. We trust that this will resolve this matter to your satisfaction. In addition, as a measure of apology for this issue, as well as an expression of gratitude for your business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 1, 2019

I’m disappointed with my order. I love my glasses and we can see that the frame is of a good quality. There’s long time I buy glasses from Zenni. I have to buy one per year because my eyes change a lot. At first my dad did my orders with his account. It’s now my second one that I buy on my own, but this time I was disappointed because I chose lenses of quality and I didn’t expect them to be all scratched in only fours months! My left lens is really scratched, the right one isn’t so bad that’s why I don’t understand why the other one is since it’s supposed to be the same kind of lens. My order number is **.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the scratches on the lenses. We were very sorry to read that your left lens is very scratched, and we apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. Even though you are outside the 30-day warranty period on this order, we will make a customer service exception to extend the warranty on your behalf and invite you to email a picture or pictures of the scratched lenses to us. Please make sure that the picture or pictures show the scratches on the left lens and the relative lack of scratches on the right lens, and please put your order number in the subject line of the email. Once we see the picture, we will email you to advise whether we are going to remake the glasses for you. Thank you again for posting your complaint, and we look forward to receiving the pictures, so that we can scrutinize them and, we hope, resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I've been ordering glasses online with Zenni for the last couple of years. They are affordable and I've never had a problem ordering online. Last month I got a new eye prescription and ordered a new pair of glasses from Zenni. Unfortunately I can't see with these new glasses. I double checked that I entered my prescription and PD correctly and I did. I'm really disappointed. May have to look for glasses elsewhere.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your comments about your experience ordering glasses from Zenni. We were sorry to learn that you cannot see well with your most recent pair of glasses, which you ordered with a new prescription, and we want to apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. You are within the 30-day warranty period on this order, so we invite you to telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. When you call, please have handy the copy of this most recent prescription that you obtained from the eye doctor, because the customer service representative who answers will ask you to read the prescription to them, so that we can confirm that it was entered correctly. Also, if the PD is not on the prescription, please advise the representative how the PD was obtained – eye doctor measurement, friend or family measurement, or self-measurement. If you confirm that the prescription and PD were entered correctly, we will email you instructions to send the glasses back to us for an inspection. We will also email you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. If our inspection finds that we made the glasses incorrectly, we can remake them for you for free. If it turns out that the prescription or PD were entered incorrectly, we can email you instructions to return the glasses for one of two refund options: either a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses, minus the shipping fee, in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account, or a 50 percent refund to the credit card that was used to pay for the orders. We very much hope to hear back from you, so that we may resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Just got new polarized sunglasses from Zenni. While driving, it did not seem that polarization was working as well as my old glasses. Holding up to a computer screen, I see large stress marks **. I compared with older polarized glasses. All showed minor stress marks, but this pair seems wrong. They offered a 50% refund, or a store credit, but seemed to indicate that this was their normal quality.

"We're sorry to hear you're having difficulties with your glasses. We have checked with our lab technicians and we would like to tell you that it is not a defect and it is caused by the stress of polarized lenses. It will appear when you used the polarized lenses in front of a computer/cell phone. Please note that polarized lenses are not designed for computer use. The issue will disappear when you wear the polarized glasses outside."

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your complaint about the polarized bifocal sunglasses you received. Our lab advised that polarized sunglasses are not intended to be used while looking at a computer screen, and that the stress marks that show up around the edges of the lenses in the picture you supplied appear to indicate that the polarization is correct. Nevertheless, your first purchase with Zenni Optical, in 2011, was for polarized sunglasses, and we see no notes in the database record of that order indicating that you contacted us about any issues with those glasses. Therefore, it is good to see that our lab suggested that you send these glasses back to us for an inspection, so that we may determine whether we made the polarization correctly on these bifocal sunglasses. We are emailing you instructions to return these glasses for an inspection, and we are also emailing you a prepaid shipping label to use for return postage. If our inspection finds that we made the glasses incorrectly, we can remake them for you for free, or, if you prefer, fully refund the purchase to your PayPal account. If our inspection finds that we made the glasses correctly, we can return them to you or issue a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses, minus the shipping fee, in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account, or a 50 percent refund to your PayPal account. Thank you again for posting your complaint, and we hope that this will resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Seems that Zenni has lost their way. I have been ordering glasses since Zenni first started offering online ordering. Glasses have always been done in a timely fashion and of acceptable quality. This time I got an email 2 days after ordering saying glasses are being manufactured. 2 weeks later still showing same. I called to see if there is an issue and was told it's because I chose standard shipping.

The problem with that is shipping has nothing at all to do with manufacturing. When I questioned the fact that glasses hadn't even been shipped, I was told that the glasses are manufactured overseas and then have to be shipped to a warehouse in California. It has never taken anywhere near as long to get glasses from Zenni. I don't know what they changed but it's a poor business decision. Very unsatisfied more because of the misinformation blaming shipping on time delay in manufacturing. I really dislike and distrust companies willing to lie to customers. No more orders from Zenni for this family.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the delay in mailing your glasses. You are a longtime, valued customer, and we welcome the opportunity to respond to your concern. We regret that you were not informed that our lab undergoes an annual closure for maintenance at this time of year, and that this closure causes a regrettable backup in our shipments. As we peruse your previous 10 orders, we see that none of these had been ordered at this time of year. Of course, we apologize for the lack of information about the closure that caused the delay. Nevertheless, insofar as your glasses are in our U.S. office, from where they will be shipped, we want you to know that your complaint prompted us to contact the head of our U.S. shipping department to locate your order and send it to you. We should be able to locate it today, or possibly tomorrow, and when the glasses are mailed to you, you should get an email with the U.S. Postal Service tracking number, so you may keep tabs on the shipment as it makes its way to you. We hope that this resolves this matter to your satisfaction, and we are very sorry that we did not disclose that the lab closure for annual maintenance causes a delay at this time of the year. Insofar as you are a longtime customer, we hope that you remain a Zenni Optical customer, and accordingly, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Resolution response: Feb. 27, 2019

Zenni is sending a free pair of glasses..so I am now ok w Zenni.com

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Got my glasses w/ a nose pad missing... They said it got lost in the mail! It just flew off and right thru the pkg off into space! Obviously it was NOT on the glasses when shipped and no one cared. They eventually sent me a screw/nosepad/screwdriver. The screw is the size of a flea and the angle is so odd that no human hand could possible install the screw (obviously it is done by machine at the factory). I wrote 6 times and all I got was flowery words. Not one word about a refund or replacement. Yes the glasses are cheap but beware - so is the "customer service" which is basically you are on your own. Goggles4U is a class act. PLEASE buy from them NOT Zenni.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the glasses that arrived with a missing nose pad, as well as the repair kit that was not usable. We were very sorry to read your complaint about this matter, and we want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate your order using the information you entered on the Consumer Affairs website. Nevertheless, if you were to provide your order number, name, as well as the email address that is your Zenni Optical username, and put these in a private response to our reply to your complaint, we will be very happy to remake these glasses for you for free, of course. We hope to see this private response in the Consumer Affairs website, so that we may identify your order and remake it for you.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

This is the second time I have ordered from Zenni. The first time they sent me the wrong glasses and when I called them they accused me of lying and demanded pictures. Only after I sent them the pictures of the wrong glasses they gave me a shipping label to send them back. They then stated that they would make my glasses again and when they find my original glasses they would sent them to me as well as an apology. I only received one pair of glasses. Flash forward to two years when I was in a bind and I bought a pair of glasses and a pair of sunglasses.

It took them 3 weeks to even ship the glasses after my order has been switched to manufactured after the first week. And then now come to find out they left my apartment number off of my shipping address and my post office returned them to sender because of it. Now I have been waiting on hold for 30 minutes to talk to someone about the situation. Just got off the phone with a rep. I have to now wait for them to to receive the glasses to then add my apartment number to then get sent back it will probably be another week. Do yourself a favor and buy from Firmoo or Discount Glasses they only take about a week to receive and you will actually receive your glasses.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the delivery of your glasses. We were sorry to learn that you inadvertently left your apartment number off your shipping address when you placed your order on Feb. 8, 2019, as indicated by the note in the database record of your order indicating that you telephoned Zenni Optical Customer Service on Feb. 25, 2019, to advise that you forgot to include your apartment number. Since these glasses already were mailed to you, on Feb. 24, 2019, we hope that the mail carrier recognizes your name and delivers the package to you. However, if the glasses do come back to us, we will re-send them to your shipping address, to which we have added your apartment number. We hope that this will resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I have been ordering with Zenni Optical for about four years now and I usually go with the full-rim style of glasses. The interactions I’ve had with their customer service have been good and I didn’t have any problems. The online ordering process is really easy and it takes about a week for me to receive my glasses. The quality of the glasses is good and I haven’t broken any. I recommended Zenni to my best friend.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I ordered progressive glasses from Zenni and received the glasses about 3 weeks later (I think their glasses are made in China). I tried them on and could not see very well, so I contacted Zenni customer service. Then I was told to return the glasses for inspection. They finally inspected my glasses after 8 days of receiving them and determined they needed to remake the glasses or I could choose to receive 100% one time store credit. I emailed them and requested for the full refund to my credit card since this was not my fault. My request was ignored and I received the email below.

"A one-time store credit (excluding shipping and any promotional discount if applicable) has been generated in the amount of $67.80 in your account. The store credit is tied to your Zenni account – in order to apply it to a future order, simply select it as a payment during the checkout process. There is no number to enter on the order. The store credit never expires and can be spread across multiple orders until it is all used up. Once an order is placed and paid for, either fully or partially, with a Store Credit, it cannot be returned for another Store Credit. If a return is authorized, the regular 50% refund return option will apply. If you have any questions regarding our return policy, please refer to our Return Policy under Terms of Use, located on the bottom of any page on our website." Does this mean I only get 50% refund next time when I have to return the glasses to Zenni because they did not make it right?? This is wrong in my opinion.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the progressive glasses you ordered from Zenni Optical, which turned out to be made incorrectly, and for which we offered either a free remake or a full refund of the price of the glasses, including the shipping fee, in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account, or a 50 percent refund of the price of the glasses to the credit card you used to pay for the order. You are a valuable customer, and we welcome the opportunity to address this matter. First, we are very sorry for our incorrect manufacture of the glasses, and we want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. Second, we are sorry that you found objectionable the refund options we offered, and we apologize for any dismay you felt about these options. Nevertheless, insofar as you are a valued customer, and we did make your progressive glasses incorrectly, we are going to honor your request for a full refund, $67.80, to your credit card. You should receive an email from our lab later tonight, confirming the refund with a transaction number. We trust that this resolves this matter to your satisfaction. Moreover, as a measure of apology for this matter, as well as a customer service gesture to acknowledge our gratitude for your business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

The prices at Zenni Optical were cheaper compared to other eyewear company so I was surprised with the quality. I expected it to be a little more flimsy than it was so I was impressed. The ordering process was also easy. The hardest part was deciding what pair of glasses we wanted. It took us time. I got a pair of glasses for my daughter, which is has a clear-ish, cream-colored with brown on them, and they’re a bit bigger. Other than that, we got her name put on the inside and we’re happy with that.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Hello, I've ordered my new driving/daily glasses off of Zenni Optical. They took 3 weeks to arrive. I have checked the blue light blocking box but they seem to have put no blue light blocking lenses in them. That alone was near half of the order price and they don't even block the UV/blue light, thanks.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint about the blue-light blocking lenses you ordered for your glasses. We do see that you selected this feature for your glasses, and we are sorry that it does not appear to be on the lenses. We have special blue-light testing equipment, so we are emailing you instructions to return these glasses for an inspection of the lenses to see if this feature is present. We are also emailing you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. We very much look forward to receiving these glasses, so that we may inspect them to determine if the blue-light blocking feature is present on the lenses. If our inspection finds that it is not present, we will email you to let you know, and if you would like, we will remake the glasses for you for free, making sure that the blue-light blocking feature is present. If our inspection finds that the blue-light blocking feature is present, we can return the glasses to you, or issue one of two refund options: either a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses, minus the shipping fee, to your Zenni Optical account, or a 50 percent refund to the credit card you used to place the order. We very much hope to receive these glasses, so that we may inspect them for you and resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Zenni was less expensive than paying $200 and something dollars for a pair of glasses. The first pair I bought from them seemed to be okay. But the second pair that I got is just plastic, and I really didn’t like the quality. They're unlike the other ones that are plastic but very lightweight and thin. Also, I don’t think my prescription is correct with it. So I gotta check with my optometrist because they sent me the numbers, and I know I sent them to Zenni. I don’t know if they’ve made a mistake or who has made a mistake, but they're like progressive lenses and they’re not supposed to be. When I move my head up and down, I can see the difference. But the whole lens should be the same because it’s for a computer and reading, so it’s a close-up. The glasses have been giving me headaches wearing them, so I don’t wear them very often. However, I may have picked out the wrong pair, so it’s probably my fault.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your comments about the glasses you ordered from Zenni Optical. We were sorry to read that you dislike the quality of the glasses, and that the prescription does not seem correct. Consequently, we apologize for any disappointment you experienced as a result. We see that the prescription and pupillary distance (PD) you entered on this order differ from the prescription and PD you entered on your order from May 2018, so this may be where the problem lies. Nevertheless, you are within the 30-day warranty period on this order, so we invite you to telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. When you call, please have handy the copy of your prescription that you obtained from the eye doctor, because the customer service representative who answers will ask you to read the prescription to them, so that we can confirm that it was entered correctly. Also, if the PD is not on the prescription, please advise the representative how the PD was obtained – eye doctor measurement, friend or family measurement, or self-measurement. If you confirm that the prescription and PD were entered correctly, we will email you instructions to send the glasses back to us for an inspection. We will also email you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. If our inspection finds that we made the glasses incorrectly, we can remake them for you for free. If it turns out that the prescription or PD were entered incorrectly, we can email you instructions to return the glasses for one of two refund options: either a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses, minus the shipping fee, in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account, or a 50 percent refund to the credit card that was used to pay for the orders. We very much hope to hear back from you, so that we may resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

Updated on 03/12/2019: So this is my second review about Zenni. My last issue was they had a shipping delay that they didn't notify customers about, the only way you would know did they had a shipping delay is if you went and look through their FAQs or a customer service agent told you directly. When Zenni saw my review on this site they promptly contacted me and expedited shipping, but they did not give me a reason why their agents lied to me on multiple occasions. One pair of my glasses was also missing from the package. But before I wrote them off, I decided to give them one more chance and I ordered two pair of sunglasses from them on February 27th. I was able to select expedited shipping this time because there was no 6 date delay.

Today is the 13th day of the 10 to 14 day shipping time frame. And I have call customer service to get an update because this site just says manufactured and not sent. The agent told me that they had been shipped. The site just hadn't been updated. So ask them when they would arrive and he didn't have an answer. Oh, but they are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

So I asked him about the replacement order for the glasses that were supposed to be in the original package and he said they would be here Thursday. Which I find kind of funny because when I asked them could they ship the packages together they said my sunglass order would be here way before my reorder of glasses, this company has no regard for anyone's time and they will willingly lie to you on the phone if they think it's going to make you happier. I would rather you tell me the truth and be disappointed, than lie and be upset. I would never order another pair glasses from Zenni and anyone else ordering beware. The glasses may be cheap and they might also be good quality but this company's customer service is by far the worst in the prescription glass industry.

Original Review: I placed an order for 3 pairs of glasses and 1 pair of sunglasses on 02/04/2019. The system didn't give me the option to select anything but Standard Shipping, which is 14-21 days. On 02/07/2019 I receive an email saying my order is currently being manufactured. So you think yay, everything is moving along quickly, WRONG!!! I call in a few days ago because I haven't received a shipment update for my glasses. They tell me that since I "selected" standard shipping (I had no choice) that the shipment update will be there soon. So by day 17 of the 14-21 day timeframe I still haven't received a shipment update or a tracking number or a "your package may be delayed" type of email, nothing that says they are working on my concerns.

So, I call again on 2/21/2019, because by their records my glasses should be here by the 25th. A gentleman answers the phone and I explain the situation and he says, "Oh yeah we notified you that it would be up to a 6 day delay when you ordered"... Um, no the hell you didn't. The last person I spoke to on chat and on the phone didn't mention this and there was no alert on the website. How would I possibly know this? I received one email from Zenni and it was about manufacturing of the glasses and that email stated that the glasses would be here between a certain time frame...

Well it is now 02/22/2019 and I have no Shipping info and unless they ship my glasses out today they will not be here on time. I will be going on vacation 02/26/19. I live in an apartment complex in a nice neighborhood and the delivery driver will likely leave 200 dollars worth of glasses at my doorstep and inevitably some delinquent kid will take my glasses. The 60 dollar shades I bought were for vacation. So on top of your Customer service being lying garbage, your logistics team is garbage and whomever's job is it to notify customers of delay is also hot garbage.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your complaint about the shipping time for your order. We are very sorry that you have not yet received your glasses, and we apologize for any dissatisfaction and frustration you experienced as a result. We also understand the anxiety you feel regarding the delivery time insofar as you are leaving early next week for a vacation, and you believe that if the package with your glasses is delivered to your doorstep after you leave, it will be stolen. Moreover, you had intended to use these glasses while on vacation. When you placed your order, our lab was closed for regular annual maintenance. Our lab reopened several days later, and because at this time we could not be confident we could get our backlogged and current orders out to customers within the Priority (10-14 days) and Express (seven-10 days) shipping times, we temporarily removed those options from the website. Nevertheless, we have contacted the manager of our Shipping department and provided the order number for your package, and asked them to find and mail the glasses to you today, via Priority mail, so that the package might arrive by Monday, Feb. 25. We hope that it does, and we hope that this resolves this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I don't know why I have to wait 14-21 days for my glasses. I am a prime online shopper and if all the other online companies can get me my product within a day or two or even specialist products within a week, I don't see why they can't do the same. My status is currently "manufactured". It has been that way for 9 DAYS! Why are they not shipping it? Plus I am less than 20 miles from them. There is not even an option for expedited shipping. I would have been happy to pay the extra money. Such a pain. There are soo many options other there. I will never use them again.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, we would like to update our response with more information. It is true that when you placed your order, Feb. 8, 2019, our lab had just reopened after a several-day closure for regular maintenance, and because at this time we could not be confident we could get our backlogged and current orders out to customers within the Priority (10-14 days) and Express (seven-10 days) shipping times, we temporarily removed those options from the website. We are sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding based on the incomplete information we previously provided.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I’ve ordered from Zenni Optical for quite a long time. The glasses are very well-priced and the quality is great. We went to America's best and I had my eyes re-examined recently. I ordered glasses from Zenni like I normally do but when I got them, I can’t see out of them. America's Best gave me the wrong prescription and they’re actually refunding me back my money.

I was trying to get a hold of Zenni Optical so I could send these glasses back until I can get a new exam so I can reorder. I have been emailing them and they don't understand my issue. I tried to call them but then there was a long hold time and then the line just cut off. Even so, the online ordering process with Zenni was very easy. I’ve ordered at least 15 pairs over the course of 7 years and I’ve actually ordered some readers for my daughter. Also, I hate when they retire glasses. I have a pair on now that I get wonderful compliments on. They’re my favorite color but they retired now and I can’t reorder them when I get a new prescription. Nevertheless, I recommend Zenni Optical all the time.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your review about your experience attempting to get telephone assistance from our customer service team when you needed instructions to send back your glasses, since your eye doctor gave you an incorrect prescription. You are a valued, longtime customer, and we welcome the opportunity to address your concerns. First, we were very sorry to read that the wait time on the telephone was inordinately lengthy, and to make matters worse, while you were waiting, the call dropped. We also were sorry to read in the notes of your order that when you clearly explained the situation in an email – your eye doctor gave you the wrong prescription, and you wanted to send the glasses back for a 100 percent store credit refund to your Zenni Optical account – the customer service representatives who replied misunderstood the situation and emailed you irrelevant responses, which necessitated your emailing us again, to reiterate the issue. We were appalled that two of our customer service representatives misunderstood the issue, and we want you to know that we have contacted the supervisor of this team, so that they may review with these representatives our customer service objectives – that our representatives always provide gracious, accurate, effective customer service. We profusely apologize that we did not uphold this standard during your communication with us. Of course, we were relieved to see that the customer service team eventually comprehended the issue, and emailed you the correct instructions to return the glasses for 100 percent store credit. However, as a customer service gesture, we are telling the lab that, when we receive the glasses, they issue full store credit (which includes the shipping fee), so that you may have a full refund of what you spent on these glasses in the form of store credit, which you may use to order your glasses with the correct prescription. In addition, as an extra measure of apology for these issues – and for our retiring frames you are disappointed you will be unable to order again from Zenni – as well as a gesture of gratitude for your longtime business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical. We trust that this resolves these matters to your satisfaction.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

My brother uses Zenni and I thought I would use them as well. Their glasses are cute and cheap, and the ordering process is super easy. I went with the full rim glasses. But I don't think the prescription was good. Even my husband had a pair from them and he said the prescription wasn't right. I haven't had the time to contact them yet, but I was going to get my eyes checked again and see. Zenni needs to, for free, fix my glasses and send them back.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your review of your and your brother’s experience ordering glasses from Zenni Optical. We are pleased to know you like our frames, prices, and order process. However, we were very sorry to read that you are having a hard time seeing well through the lenses of your glasses, and that your husband also cannot see well through the lenses of his glasses. Consequently, we want to apologize for any disappointment you and your husband experienced as a result. We have a 30-day warranty period for issues with the glasses, and your orders from January 7, 2019, and Dec. 10, 2018, are outside this warranty period. Nevertheless, we will extend the warranty period for you on these two orders as a customer service gesture. Therefore, we invite you to telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. When you call, please have copies of your and your husband’s prescriptions handy, because the customer service representative who answers will ask you to read the prescriptions to them, so that we can confirm that they were entered correctly on these two orders. Also, if the pupillary distance (PD) is not on either prescription, please advise the representative how the PDs were obtained – eye doctor measurement, friend or family measurement, or self-measurement. If you confirm that the prescriptions and PDs were entered correctly, we will email you instructions to send the glasses back to us for an inspection. We will also email you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. If our inspection finds that we made the glasses incorrectly, we can remake them for you for free. If it turns out that one or both of the prescriptions were entered incorrectly, we can email you instructions to return the glasses with the incorrect prescription for one of two refund options: either a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses, minus the shipping fee, in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account, or a 50 percent refund to the credit card that was used to pay for the orders. We very much hope to hear back from you, so that we may resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I tried on some glasses at a store and figured out what I liked. I found them on Zenni and then I ordered them. However, it was a little difficult looking for the glasses online because everything was white so you couldn’t see the individual frames sometimes. Other than that issue, my experience was good. I tried to take advantage of the feature where I can try them on virtually, but I didn’t really like it. A better referral bonus would be nice too. Nevertheless, the cost was great and my order arrived super fast. Everything was perfect.

Zenni Optical expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2003, Zenni Optical is dedicated to providing high quality prescription eyewear at the lowest possible price. As a solely online business located in the San Francisco Bay area, Zenni Optical offers more than 6,000 frames, all manufactured at their 248,000 square foot facility.

• Glasses for less: With prices that are less than the average cost of lunch, Zenni Optical has a range of glasses that could almost be considered disposable.

• Reasonable delivery times: Typical orders are delivered within two weeks in the U.S., making the wait longer than same day service, but still reasonable.

• Buying guides: Get the right glasses and all the information needed to make an informed selection using the Zenni Optical buying guides.

• Lots of options: With thousands of different frames and lots of customization options available, Zenni Optical has a pair of eyewear for almost anyone.

• Sports wear: In addition to glasses and sunglasses, they also offer goggles and other prescription sports wear.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs