Call toll free
3.77/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2003 by two scientists, Zenni Optical has grown from a small, local San Francisco company to one of the largest online optical retailers. Their mission is to provide affordable eyewear, and offer a wide selection from prescription eyeglasses to custom goggles. Their manufacturing process uses the most current materials and ship directly from their factory, cutting out the middleman. Zenni's catalog lists over 6,000 frames and is manufactured in their 248,000 square-foot facility and is passed through a rigorous quality control inspection before being shipped to you. Visit their website today to find the perfect pair for you!

Zenni Optical Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1059 Zenni Optical Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Until now I have been reasonably pleased with Zenni but unfortunately have changed my opinion. I have purchased more than 6 pairs of glasses in the past and now they will not replace a lens I lost because screw came out of the frame. I am willing to pay whatever replacement cost is but they will not even deal with the loss in any way. Guess this is the price we pay for cheap stuff.

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have ordered several pairs of glasses from Zenni-ordered a pair in July 2018 that were suppose to change when in sunlight. Well they don't. Called and was told to take pictures of them inside and then outside after 15 minutes and to put them in the freezer. Needless to say still have same glasses and they still do not change. So I ordered another pair on October 2 2018 they were mailed out from CA and were suppose to arrive on October 15, 2018. Guess what they haven't arrived yet and showing in limbo on the USPS site. This is horrible service. The gentleman I talked to about the previous glasses was very rude. If I get my glasses this will be my last order from this company. Service has gone downhill really fast.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us another opportunity to address the issue you experienced with the photochromic progressive glasses from your July 2018 order. We are very sorry that the lenses of these glasses are not turning dark, and we want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. We see no indication that you sent pictures of the glasses to us, so we could determine if the lenses are not turning dark in the bright sunlight. Since you placed another order for progressive glasses with photochromic lenses in October, and the U.S. Postal Service website states that these glasses were delivered to you today, we hope that these glasses turn dark in the bright sunlight. We telephoned you to discuss this matter, but we were unable to reach you, or to leave a message, because the outgoing message said your mailbox was full. Therefore, we emailed you to ask if you got the October order today, and if these glasses, as well as the ones from July, are turning dark in the bright sunlight. We hope to hear back from you in a reply to the email we sent you. If the glasses from the July order are not turning dark, we are committed to resolving this matter for you. If we do not receive a reply from you to the email we sent, we will telephone you again in a few days in the hope that we will be able to speak with you to determine how these two pairs of glasses are working, and resolve the photochromic issue if they are not turning dark. Thank you again for posting your complaint, and we hope to be able to discuss this matter with you very soon.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Please don't fall for Zenni PD self-measurement game. Get the PD measurements done by the professionals with the right device because they will refuse to take blame for telling you to do your own measurement: don't fall for it, it's a way to get you to pay another 100% for store credit or end up with only 50% refund (while they still keep the materials for re-use).

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

If I could give 0 stars I would. Save yourself a world of hassle. Ordered glasses September 27th, did not receive within the 21 days I was told I would receive them. I had even called in October 6th to confirm I was receiving my glasses as they had not even been processed yet. So when I contacted them against October 17th I was told that my order had been stuck in transit since October 4th 2 DAYS BEFORE I SPOKE TO A CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE WHO ASSURED ME I WOULD BE RECEIVING MY GLASSES. So they told me as an apology they would refund me 15 dollars (gave me store credit for somewhere I would never do business with again lol).

They also ensured me I would be receiving express shipping for my continued inconveniences. However, upon receiving an email of an invoice it was still set to standard shipping. I had to call in for over an hour trying to convince one customer service to switch it from standard to express. The first 3 people I spoke to told me this could not be done regardless of my prior email I received confirming I would be given this as an exception. Hung up on me said they would transfer me to management.

Save yourself the headache. order from 39DollarGlasses, EyeBuyDirect, Clearly, GlassesUSA, iLookGlasses. Any alternative is better for the way they treat their customers and mistakes they make constantly while never being proactive enough to manage my order properly. Even with confirming and trying to ensure through micromanaging that I would receive my glasses on time I had to wait over a month and I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY GLASSES. Worst company I've ever had to deal with in my entire life. Do not purchase from Zenni Optical or you will regret it due to wasted time, inferior product, and mentally incapable customer service. It seems like the customer service workers they just pick out of the McDonalds reject line.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us an opportunity to address this issue, and we were sorry to learn that your experience with Zenni was not as you had hoped. Unfortunately, we can't located your order with the email address you included in your complaint. Therefore, we cannot look up your order to review the matters you mention. We urge you to email service@zennioptical.com to describe this, with your order number, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. Thank you!

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

It was simple to input my prescription and find rimless glasses with titanium earpieces. However the transfer from manufacturing to shipping takes several days and I can’t understand why it takes days more to actually start the USPS shipping process. A few days to enter the shipping information then several more before the post office accepts the shipments and you can start tracking delivery. Extremely inefficient and frustrating. I’ve ordered four pairs from Zenni over the past four years with good results except for delivery. I did have one pair start to come loose after 10 months and it was not possible to keep the screws tight.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your review, which gives us another opportunity to address this matter. We are sorry some delay due to the lab routine maintain and and we are doing all we can to have orders shipped out to our customers as quickly as possible as we understand each order is special. We would like to send you a selection of extra screws and washers for the lens connection, extra nose pads and screws and washers for the nose pad connection (these are the longer screws), and the screwdriver tool, which can be used to tighten the screw that is currently loose. We hope these items enable you to fix your frame-lens connection, and that this resolves this matter to your satisfaction. If you like this option, we want to invite you to email to service@zennioptical.com with your confirmation and the order number and frame number so we can follow up.

Once again, we are very sorry about your experience with this order. We are striving to correct and improve the situation you experience and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to assist you. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

Resolution response: Oct. 19, 2018

I finally got my order today. The glasses are as expected. Thank you for the shipping fee return.

I would like to say that I don't like writing bad reviews, I really don't. I was so disappointed to have no follow-up and it took almost 14 days to ship my order. But, quality was delivered. I hope, my next order, if I do, will be as smooth as the first two orders I had with you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

No followup with customers. I made three orders since last April. The first two orders were good, but the last one I did, September 28, is still in process. It is October 12 and I still don't know when I will receive my glasses! The status of my order is still: Processing. Usually, it takes about 3-4 days to wear the glasses over the few days of shipping, but it's been two weeks since they made two new pairs of glasses! I have written twice to customer service for answers.

During my first conversation with the customer service I was told to have to wait 2 to 4 days since they had not received some parts to complete the order. I wrote a second time to the customer service and they just wrote me that they were sorry and that I would be informed as soon as possible, but it is not an acceptable answer after such a long delay.

I once had a high opinion of Zenni and I encouraged my loved ones to buy there, but I realize I was wrong. If the situation does not change soon, I will have to resign myself to no longer doing business with them. I have been a patient client so far, but now I'm really done with it. Also, there's no place to leave a review on their website and to me, it's looks like you're not totally honest with your customers if they can't find reviews about you on your website or even on your Facebook.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, we want to thank you for your comment which gives us an opportunity to address this matter. We are doing all we can to have all orders shipped out to our customers as quickly as possible as we understand each order is special. It was disheartening to find this order is still in transit to our shipping center and will be sent to you at the beginning of next week, and we're so sorry about the long wait to receive your glasses. As a courtesy, we have refunded you the shipping fee and emailed you the transaction information.

Once again, we are very sorry about your experience with this order. We are striving to correct and improve the situation you experience, we hope you’ll shop with us again in the future. Thank you!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I spoke to 5 representatives and each one was a man from a foreign country who constantly interrupted me, and showed absolutely no respect. 2 was when I had questions about my order (should have stopped then). 3 was dealing with the return. I was placed on hold for 15 minutes waiting to speak with a supervisor, then was disconnected.

Their return policy is awful. I ordered non prescription glasses with blue-blocking because the fluorescent lights at work bother my eyes. The glasses I received do nothing to help with my problem, but according to Zenni's return policy I'm screwed. I can either send them back for half a refund, or full store credit. They offer no other options for blue blocking, so store credit is no good to me. The only way I can get a full refund is to send the glasses back, and they will test them to see if they actually put the blue blocking coating on. If they did screw up and forgot the coating, then they will give me a full refund. I don't trust them to be honest at this point. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us an opportunity to address this issue, and we were sorry to learn that your experience with Zenni was not as you had hoped. Unfortunately, we can't located your order with the name and email address you included in your complaint. Therefore, we cannot look up your order to review the matters you mention. We urge you to email service@zennioptical.com to describe this, with your order number, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been a customer for about 15 years. Many pairs. Sunglasses w/ polarization too! Need a new prescription (I am in my 60's) then ordering a couple of new glasses. Same style. Thanks so much. Great Service.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your very complimentary review of your experience with Zenni Optical. It was heartening to know you have gotten many pairs of glasses from us, including polarized sunglasses. As an expression of our gratitude for our strong business relationship, we are emailing you from the database record of your most recent order an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical. Thank you again for posting your gratifying comments. It is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Zenni has a lot of styles available and I went for the full rim glasses. Other than the uploading of the face and putting on the lenses didn’t really work for me, the whole online ordering experience was good. It was simple, quick, and didn’t cost me too much. Also, the quality of the glasses is decent.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your comments about your experience ordering your glasses from Zenni Optical. We were pleased to read that you found the ordering process fast and easy, and that you are happy with the prices and quality of the glasses you get from us. Since you mention that uploading your picture using our Frame Fit® feature did not work for you, we looked at the two pairs of glasses on your two orders, one from September 2017, the other from March 2018, each with the same prescription. The first order includes frame 6498921, which has a frame width of 142 millimeters. For these glasses, you used a pupillary distance (PD) of 65 mm. Your second order includes frame 366621, which has a frame width of 128 mm. For these glasses, you used a PD of 52 mm. We see no notes in the database record of either order indicating you called to complain about the size of the glasses or the vision through the lenses. This is surprising, since the two frames have very difference frame widths, indicating that at least one of these frames would not fit you well if the other one did. Also, because the two PDs are very different, we are surprised that you did not contact us to advise that, with at least one of these pairs of glasses, you had a hard time focusing with both eyes through both lenses. We want to confirm that it is important to get the PD measured accurately, either from the eye doctor who provides the prescription, or, if the eye doctor declines to provide this measurement, by a friend or family member, or by measuring it yourself. The PD determines where our lab technicians place the optical center on each lens, and the optical center is a crucial factor in your being able to see well through the lenses. We have an instructional infographic and a how-to video that explains how to measure the PD. Here’s the link to the How to Measure Your Frame Size infographic, which includes a link to a downloadable PD ruler: https://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic. Here’s the link to the How to Measure your PD video: https://www.zennioptical.com/c/how-to#howto-measure-pd. In addition, we have another infographic that is very useful in determining the frame size you need for a frame to fit you well. We advise that you measure a pair of glasses you have now that fits you well and looks good on your face, then shop for a frame on the Zenni Optical website that has similar dimensions. It does not have to be an exact match. You have a 2 mm leeway on each element: https://www.zennioptical.com/measure-eyeglass-frame-size-how-to. We hope this information is helpful. Of course, if either frame, 6498921 or 366621, fits you well, you may take note of the dimensions listed under the enlarged picture of the frame on our website, under Details, and shop for frames with similar dimensions. With this in mind, and as a gesture of thank you for your business and for posting your comments, we are emailing you from the database record of your most recent order a token of our gratitude. We hope that you will use this item toward your next order with Zenni Optical. We also want to mention that, if you have any issue with the next pair of glasses you get from us, we have a 30-day warranty period, which starts the day the glasses are delivered. Thank you again for posting your comments. At Zenni, we believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Zenni Optical has a variety of glasses and they have a better price than other stores. Their website is user-friendly and it was easy to go there. I put some data and I could test the frame by the picture frame there. They also have glasses with accurate data and the quality is secured. I noticed though that they used to have a lot of different stuff and now it has gotten fewer and fewer. Nevertheless, I recommend Zenni to many of my friends. It is a good place to go.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your very gratifying comments about Zenni Optical’s variety of frames, prices, user-friendly website, Frame Fit® feature, and the quality of our prescription lenses. Since you mention that it seems that our inventory has shrunken, we want to confirm that, although we do discontinue frames from time to time for various reasons – usually because they’re poor sellers, or they have prompted multiple quality complaints from customers – we want to confirm that we are offering more than 100 different prescription and nonprescription lens types and more than 2,600 frames in our current inventory. We thank you again for writing. As an indication of our gratitude for your business, and that you took the time and made the effort to write, we are emailing you from the database record of your most recent order a token of our appreciation, which we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I placed an order on Zenni September 5. Received tracking info saying the glasses left Hong Kong on the 10th. Today is now the 6th of October and I have not received the glasses as yet. Contacting customer service is a waste of time cause no one ever responds. I would like to get a refund please.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, we want to thank you for your comment which gives us an opportunity to address this matter. And we're sorry about the long wait to receive your glasses. We have checked and found you have contacted our customer service to address the matter. We have responded with refunding you the shipping fee as a courtesy and offering a free remake. Please feel free to telephone us at 1-800-211-2105 or email at service@zennioptical.com to let us know your confirmation so that we can follow up.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I like Zenni's prices and variety of glasses. I’ve been ordering from them for years. It's easy to order from them online. Zenni is the best place to buy your glasses from.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your gratifying comments about ordering glasses from Zenni Optical. We were delighted to see that you are a longtime customer who has placed 15 orders with us since 2012. It is good to know you find the ordering process easy, and of course we are heartened to read that you feel we are the best optical retailer. We are grateful that you took the time and made the effort to post your thoughts about ordering from Zenni. Out of gratitude for your review and our strong business relationship, we are emailing you from the database record of your most recent order a token of our appreciation that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical. We believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I order 2 pair of glasses, on the 20th of September 2018, I paid for express shipping, which was an additional 18.95. I am still awaiting my glasses, they are located at a UPS facility in Lake Charles, Louisiana, which is 30 minutes from my home. They have been there since September 26, 2018. I want answers and moreover I want my glasses & if I don’t receive them in the next couple days, I will request a full refund. This is ridiculous.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us another opportunity to address the issue of your package having gotten lost at the UPS facility in Lake Charles, Louisiana. We were very sorry to learn of this lapse in delivery by UPS, and we want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. We see that you contacted Zenni Optical Customer Service twice today to ask about this, and that our customer service representative advised that you wait a few days for the result of the UPS investigation. Contrary to this, we want to confirm that we are directing our lab to rush a free remake of your order, which we will deliver to you via Express mail. In addition, since today is the 14th day after you placed the order, and our Priority shipping promise is 10-14 days from the date you place the order, we are refunding the original Priority shipping fee, $8.45, adding this refund to the refund of $10.50 we issued on Oct. 3, 2018, for a full Express shipping refund of $18.95. You should receive an email from our lab later tonight with the confirmation of the $8.45 refund to your PayPal account and the new order number for the rushed remake. Should UPS find and deliver the package containing your original order, you will have four pairs of glasses for the price of two. If you have any issues with the glasses when you get them, only two of the pairs from one of the orders will have return value. We apologize again for the delivery lapse, and we are grateful that you posted this complaint, so we could address this issue for you. We trust that the free remake and full shipping fee refund will resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Zenni Optical is cost-effective for me and I like their variety. I've been ordering from them for two years and I have the round, half-rim and full-rim styles so I can wear them depending on how I feel that day or what I'm wearing. Their customer service reps are friendly and they give a quick response. Everyone's pretty good. Also, if you order from them, they have all your information including your prescription so you can just order another one easily. It frees up a lot of time rather than going back and re-typing everything. I recommend Zenni to anyone all the time, even without them asking.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your very gratifying comments about ordering glasses from Zenni Optical. We were delighted to see that you are a longtime customer who has placed 13 orders with us since 2016. It is good to know you enjoy our low prices and appreciate the variety of our inventory, particularly in the round half- and full-rim frame style you prefer. We are very happy to read that you are pleased with the friendliness and efficiency of our customer service team. In addition, it is good to know you are pleased that you can save your prescription to your account and simply use the reorder button in your account dashboard. However, we want to mention one caveat, which has not occurred on your previous orders: If you contact us within 24 hours after you place an order to advise that you would like to change something on the order – perhaps changing a frame color or adding a tint, or changing something on your prescription – we want to advise that when you change something on an order after it has been placed, the original order will remain in your password-protected Zenni Optical account, to which we have no access. Therefore, the reorder button in this case will populate the online order form with the items you originally ordered. It will not show the changes made to the order after it was originally placed. Sometimes customers have been flummoxed by this, and have been dismayed to learn that their account did not contain the changes made after the order had been placed, and that when they used the reorder button they got glasses with an old prescription or a frame they had subsequently changed. So if your prescription should change (we see it has remained constant since your first order in 2016), or something else on an order gets changed after you originally placed it, please make sure that you change the prescription in your account to reflect the most recent update, and that you incorporate the changes – whether on a lens type, frame, or tint – in your next order. Speaking of your next order, we want to advise that, out of gratitude for your review and for our strong business relationship, we are emailing you from the database record of your most recent order a measure of our appreciation that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical. Thank you again for your review. We believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

All in all, I had a great experience with Zenni. The glasses came earlier in the mail than I expected and the website was easy to use. I loved the photo upload since I couldn’t try on frames in person. The hard part was that the frames come in a fixed size and it can be hard to know exactly the measurements you need but mine turned out pretty good. I took measurements of my old frames and used that as a reference when comparing. Choosing metal frames allowed me to make tiny adjustments. Also, they sent a free case and cleaning cloth. I love my new glasses!

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your gratifying remarks about your experience with Zenni. We are delighted to know that the glasses came quickly, a mere eight days after you placed your order, and that you found the website easy to use. It is good to know that you like our Frame Fit® feature, and that it was helpful for you in selecting your frame. Since you acknowledge that the dimensions of the frames we offer are not changeable, we are pleased to know that you figured out how to order the right size by measuring a pair of glasses you have and then shopping for a frame with similar dimensions on the website. We are not sure if you used our How to Measure Your Frame Size infographic to do this, but if not, here is the link to this very useful infographic, which can be found at the bottom of every page of our website, under the column headed Infographics: https://www.zennioptical.com/measure-eyeglass-frame-size-how-to. This explains how to do what you successfully did: measure a frame you have that fits you well, so you can compare the dimensions of your frame with the dimensions of the frames on our website, which are listed under the enlarged picture of the frame under Details. The way some of these measurements, particularly the measurement of the bridge, are done are a little tricky and perhaps a little counterintuitive, so the infographic provides helpful information to make the measurement precise. We want to mention that some of our frames are what we call “variable dimension” frames, meaning that we have some frames that are the same style but come in two sizes. Frames such as these are identified to the right of the frame on the enlarged picture. We again thank you for your review, and we are going to share your comments with our entire team, so that we all can take pleasure in knowing you are a satisfied customer. Moreover, we are emailing you from the database record of your order a token of our appreciation for your taking the time and making the effort to write. We believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My friend from work told me about Zenni Optical when I broke my glasses and I've purchased twice now from them. Their quality and price were better than any other eyewear company I’ve tried before. I typically get the regular rectangular-framed, mostly plastic, because I work in a shop so I can’t really wear glass for safety reason. The online ordering process was step-by-step. You just have to put in your prescription and all the other information. It was straightforward and easy. Shipping wasn’t long either. It's just a great experience overall. Zenni Optical is a great company if you’re looking for something fast, affordable and great quality. The website is great too. You can see what they’d look like on a picture review. I would definitely recommend Zenni Optical.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your very complimentary review of Zenni Optical. We were enormously gratified to read that you feel our quality and prices are better than those of any other eyewear company. It is good to know that you appreciate the straightforwardness and ease of the ordering process, and that you were pleased with the shipping speed. We are delighted that you like the quality of our glasses and using our website, particularly the Frame Fit® feature, which enables you to see how the glasses will look on your face. Out of gratitude for your review, we are emailing you a token of our appreciation from the database record of your most recent order, which we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical. Thank you again for your comments. At Zenni, we believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I purchased two pairs of glasses in February 2018 for $144.75. This was the worst experience I have ever had with glasses! Both pairs of glasses fog up within five to 15 minutes of having them on! Cheaper price equals cheaper product quality. I called customer service and I was told since I was outside of the 30 day return policy nothing could be done. When I told the customer service representative "You get what you pay for, lower price equals lower quality product. I will never ever purchase from Zenni again!" he suggested I could mail the glasses back. I told him it was not worth my time to pay shipping, handling and postage for a cheap product and to keep the $144.75. Crappy product!!!

Updated on 10/17/2018: Customer service offered to have the cheap product quality glasses remade. I do not wish to have the glasses remade because both pairs are defective. It is very irritating to put these glasses on because they repeatedly need cleaning. I want a refund issued to my method of payment which was my Bank of America Visa account or send me a shipping container so that I will not have to utilize my time and money sending these defective glasses back to you. This experience is not isolated! My cousin, J. **, also ordered two pairs of glasses from Zenni based upon the cost savings. She stated that both pairs of her glasses also become foggy within five to 15 minutes of having them on inside and outdoors.

She also cannot see out of the glasses when they become foggy without constantly cleaning them. One pair of her glasses were tinted. Per the customer review blogs this has happened to other customers as well. Your company is a sham located in China and this is the way you all rip customers off. I am going to file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. Cheaper product quality was not worth the savings. Public confidence on your products are low. I wish I'd looked at the reviews before I purchased the glasses from your company. Don't buy from Zenni, you will be ripped off.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us an opportunity to address this matter. Of course, we are sorry to learn that these glasses on this order was not satisfactory, and we apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. Nevertheless, we are eager to assist you with this issue even you are out of the 30-day warranty period on this order, which begins the day the glasses are delivered. Since you refused to return the glasses for inspection when you called, we would like to advise you to send us some pictures to identify the fog issue. If we can find that the lenses have been defective, we will be more than happy to remake them for you without returns. We very much hope to hear back from you, so that we may resolve this matter to your satisfaction. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I initially went with the plastic wood-like frames but there was a problem with the lens coating, and Zenni recently replaced it for me, so I much appreciated that. They were very helpful. I had a problem with my glasses and they fixed it. Customer service is always very important to me, so I appreciate it.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your comments about our customer service and warranty. We were very gratified to read that you appreciated that, when we viewed the pictures of the anti-reflective coating failure on your lenses, which occurred during the one-year warranty period covering this feature, we remade the glasses for you for free, changing the frame and modifying the lenses according to your specifications. We trust that you are pleased with the remade pair of glasses, and we thank you again for your comments. We believe it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I was looking for a nice pair of Prescription Glasses, thought I would go online and order a pair from Zenni they have great styles & prices. I submitted my order on 9/12/18, checked status after a week or so which stated in process. I checked my status after 3 weeks, their system stated ready to be shipped... Yay! Well... no glasses yet. Today is 10/2, I paid an extra $18.50 for business express (4-7 business days) so I decided to speak with their online Chat Reps. who stated they are waiting on the lenses to be shipped to the company, which they had run out of... I advised the rep. my order status has said ready to be shipped for 2 weeks is this false information? Per the rep., my glasses are waiting for a shipment of lenses, and if I want they would refund my $18.50 for the 4-7 day shipping.

So after a long back and forth Chat, I was advised my frames are available but my order was not ready to be shipped because the lenses are not in the glasses. This is falsified information, so please do not believe Zenni Online Tracking Information they are not to be trusted. I will never order from them again, and someone needs to check on their business transactions and to top it off I still have not received my $18.50 refund or glasses. Still waiting...

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us an opportunity to address this issue. Unfortunately, our customer database shows no orders in placed on Sept. 12, 2018, or a few days before or after this date, with the Zenni Optical username that is the email address you included in your complaint, or the name you included in your complaint. Therefore, we cannot look up your order to review the matters you mention. So that we can assist you, we ask you to please reply with your Zenni Optical order number, or the email address that is your Zenni Optical username, so that we can look up your order and assist you in this matter. You may also telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, and provide your order number to the customer service representative who answers. Meanwhile, we want to clarify some items in your complaint about which there seems to be a misunderstanding. One of our shipping methods is Express shipping, not Business Express, for $18.95, not $18.50, with the glasses delivered to a physical location (not a post office box) by UPS. Express shipping comes with a delivery promise of seven to 10 calendar days, not four to seven business days. In addition, we were puzzled to read that you said an online chat representative advised that we had run out of lenses. This is not the case; we have never run out of lenses, nor have we ever had to hold up the manufacture of any pair of glasses because we were waiting for a shipment of lenses to be delivered to our lab. If a chat representative advised you of this, we very much want to determine with whom you chatted, and when this chat occurred. We look forward to receiving a reply with information that will enable us to look up your order and assist you, so that we may resolve these matters to your satisfaction.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I've made three purchases from Zenni Optical in the past couple of years. The first glasses were rectangular, metal frame. Second one was large, square frame plastic, with engraving. The last one was small, circular, metal frame. I filled out the prescription numbers of my eye prescription online once, and it was very easy to find. The face that Zenni put on there allows you to see what the glasses look like and the size of glasses, which made ordering very easy. The only trouble I had before was if I wanted to go back, it resets everything.

I like the amount of glasses that Zenni have showcased on the website, and if I went back to look for my old pair of glasses, it would come up. But it's confusing when I have to search through Zenni's list of glassees in the website. I have to do a specific search for my glasses that I had before by going through my past purchases. Other than that, I've recommended to a lot of my friends to use Zenni.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your gratifying comments about ordering glasses from Zenni Optical. We were pleased to read that you feel entering your prescription on our website is easy, and that you appreciate that we show the frame and list its dimensions on the website. In addition, we welcome your comment about your confusion regarding searching through our inventory on the website. We want you to know that we take our customers’ observations very seriously, and we incorporate them when we plan revisions to our website. Thank you again for your review. It is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Zenni Optical has a more competitive price than other optical companies. I’ve already made plenty of purchases from them and I've had their glasses for 8 years now. On the website, they even have a model there where you can put the glasses on to see how big they are on an average face. I used that when I made my first purchase. I order my glasses and the customer service is good. If I lose my glasses and I need them right away, I get the expedited shipping. I like the style of full rim glasses and it's what I got. The quality is nice and better for what I paid for. I recommend Zenni.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for your very gratifying comments. We were very heartened to know that you like our prices, our Zenni Frame Fit® feature, our customer service, the Express shipping option, our selection of full-rim frames, and the overall quality of our glasses, which you feel surpasses our price point. We want you to know that we are sharing your comments with our entire team, so that we can all bask in the knowledge that you are a satisfied customer. As an expression of our gratitude for your business and for taking the time and making the effort to write your review, we are emailing you from the database record of your order a token of our appreciation, to use on your next order with us. Thank you again for your remarks. At Zenni, we believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I have ordered from this company three times this year. I didn't enjoy the process much, and I was wondering why I just didn't go to a store and just hand them the prescription. Instead at Zenni, you input ALL the data yourself, and then watch YouTube videos on how to calculate "PD" which is not normally given with eyeglass prescriptions.

After doing all that, I was sent emails from Zenni that my prescription would not fit in the frame I selected (unknowable until they tell you). I called customer service, and found out from them what frame would work, and changed the order. THE PROBLEM IS THEIR COMPANY SAVES THE ORDER OF THE WRONG FRAME ORDER. Instead of storing the data of the glasses they actually sent me, they save the order with the WRONG frame. So when you select the reorder icon from your order history, it orders the frame that didn't work the first time!

I just tried for the third time to get someone from their organization to fix the glitch and was told I needed to "START FROM SCRATCH!" You would think an online company in 2018 would be able to correct the problem without putting the onus back on their paying customer to fix. I told the agent that if I DO "start from scratch," I will be doing it at another optical company. I was promised a call from a supervisor after I asked and they said there were none available - that call never came... If they won't help someone who has ordered from them three times in less than a year, who WILL they help?? I feel more like an unpaid employee than a customer.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us another opportunity to address this issue. You are correct in that ordering online requires more input on your part than simply walking into a local optical store with your prescription. The tradeoff is that you save hundreds of dollars on your glasses by ordering from an online optical retailer such as Zenni that offers high-quality glasses for prices much lower than those of the glasses of local optical retailers. To assist customers in the order process, we have important information about ordering posted on our website, including a downloadable pupillary distance (PD) ruler, and an infographic and how-to video explaining how to measure your PD. Regarding your comment about your previous order information, which includes the frame you initially selected that was changed to a different model as a result of the lab’s input, we want to confirm that this is part of your private, password-protected account information, to which Zenni Optical employees have no access. We cannot save to your account the frame model number that replaced a previous selection. But we do attempt to clarify what happens when a customer changes a frame, either on their own, or in consultation with our lab technicians. Here is an email we customarily send out when frames are changed after an order has been placed: “You are receiving this email because you have either contacted us to make changes to your existing Zenni order or we have received a copy of your prescription and corrected your order according to the information provided. Please note that these changes only affect your existing order and do not affect any information saved under ‘My Account’ at www.zennioptical.com. We recommend that you login to ‘My Account’ at www.zennioptical.com and correct or update any prescription information you may have saved. Additionally we recommend not using the Reorder button from ‘My Account’ or the Import Prescription feature for this particular order in the future as it would result in the new order being placed with the incorrect information that was originally entered. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us at 800-211-2105, service@zennioptical.com or by using our Live Chat tool.” We are sorry if you did not receive this email after the frame model was changed from 741821 to 637016. Since you state that you did not receive a call from a customer service supervisor, we want to confirm that we see a note in the database record of your order that a supervisor did telephone you at 5:29 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 29, 2018. We are sorry if you did not receive this supervisor call. Nevertheless, when you do have any questions about ordering, we invite you to telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service, at 800-211-2105, or to chat with us online from our website. Our customer service representatives are there to answer any questions you may have about the order process or anything else regarding ordering your glasses online. We hope that this information resolves this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Ordered a pair of glasses from Zenni and from the time they came out of the case they had the worst streaking glare at night. I took pictures and contacted Zenni, they told me to send them back. So I did. They sent me an email claiming that they must of been exposed to extreme heat to have the coating fail and was not a manufacturing defect. This made no sense to me since they only leave my head at night when I sleep in a room that is maintained at a 68 degree temp. Then they said that the prescription I provided was wrong so I checked it and found that not to be true either. Upon receiving the glasses back I immediately wore them again to find out that now the streaking glare has been corrected on the left lense but not the right and now they want me to send them in again so they can try to make them correctly since 3rd time is hopefully the charm.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us another opportunity to address this matter. We were very sorry to learn that, on the remade pair of glasses we sent you, there is still glare on the right lens. Consequently, we want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. If you do choose to send the remade glasses back to us, and we see that there is a defect in the anti-reflective coating on the right lens, we can either remake the glasses for you again or issue a full refund to the PayPal account you used to pay for the initial order, whichever option you prefer. Regarding the prescription, the prescription that our lab uploaded to the database record does not match the prescription you entered on the website and confirmed in your complaint is correct. Moreover, the name of the patient on the prescription, although difficult to read, is not your name. Therefore, we may have uploaded another customer’s prescription to the database record of your order by mistake, because the location of the eye doctor’s office, Virginia Beach, Virginia, is obviously not in your state, South Carolina. It is good to know, however, that the prescription you used to order these glasses is apparently your prescription, because, as you confirmed, you can see with the glasses – the only issue is that there is a problem with the anti-reflective coating, causing inordinate glare on the right lens. Since we will need the remade glasses returned to us to issue either the free remake or the refund, we are emailing you from the database record of the remade order instructions to return the glasses for an inspection. We are separately emailing you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. We are very eager to get these glasses back, so that we may inspect them and, if our inspection finds a defect in the anti-reflective coating on the right lens, as the previous inspection found on both lenses, remake the glasses once again or issue a full PayPal refund. We hope that the option you choose will resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I lost my pair of glasses in a lake and I didn’t have money to get a full-fledged pair so I got one of the cheaper pairs off of Zenni Optical. A guy at work told me about Zenni. With the online ordering process, I found everything in full detail and it made everything very easy to figure out. Everything was nice and streamlined.

I like my glasses and I can see through them. I got the transition and they still transition just fine. I haven't bought any glasses since I got them about a year ago. All in all, it was a good experience and I've recommended Zenni a few times. Glasses are expensive anywhere else but you can get them cheap and good quality from Zenni.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for your very heartening review. It was gratifying to read that you like our prices, the ordering process on our website, and the photochromic (auto-tinting) feature you selected for your lenses. We want you to know that we are sharing your comments with our entire team, so that we can all bask in the knowledge that you are a satisfied customer. As an expression of our gratitude for your business and for taking the time and making the effort to write your review, we are emailing you from the database record of your order a token of our appreciation, to use on your next order with us. Thank you again for your kind remarks. At Zenni, we believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I was at first extremely pleased with my glasses purchase. I ordered express and it took the full time but at least I got them in under 2 weeks. They looked, worked, and fit well. I told many people about Zenni. They had a great customer selling their product for them. THEN :( I found out I had been cheated by them! I busted a temple on my glasses and had to look up my receipt to see the frame number to reorder. I found they had listed the correct $6.95 (advertised) price for my frame at the top, but slipped in a $20.95 charge for the frame when it went into the total below! They SWITCHED the price and overcharged me!

I called them and said there was an error and they insisted on the larger price was because I was ordering prescription frames. I said no- I pay $49.95 later on for the prescription part, plus an added $12.95 fee for my astigmatism. Their person would not budge on a refund. I said, "What country do you operate out of? I looked and it's CALIFORNIA! I say BAIT AND SWITCH! Illegal! I'm calling the California AG and leaving a bad review". He offer me a replacement frame instead. I say, "You owe me two for the overcharge." He said he's sending it. Then I see I have a warranty and he owed me frames anyway. So here's my first bad review. Many more to come. And I'm going forward with bait and switch charges. Look at your receipt. Maybe we'll have a class action suit.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint. Of course, we are sorry for any dissatisfaction and confusion you experienced regarding the frame issue and the receipt of your order. Moreover, we welcome the opportunity to address this matter by clarifying the issues you raise. We are confirming that we are sending you a free replacement frame to exchange. The frame you ordered, 238917, is $6.95. The additional $14.00 is the upcharge price for the lens you chose. The website will pop out a window to explain due to the customizations required by the strength of your prescription, we need to charge an additional $14.00. This amount accounts for both lenses. We would like to invite you to contact us at service@zennioptical.com if you would like to send us a copy of your receipt to let us know the details. We hope to hear from you, so we can resolve whatever issue is causing the confusion. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

A friend of mine recommended Zenni Optical and they are cheaper than others. My friend also told me that their lenses are lighter than other companies’ lens. That's very comfortable because my lens can be heavy. I've ordered 3 times already in about 2 years and the process is easy. I got the full rim and lightweight glasses. However, I had to adjust the nose pads and sometimes they’re heavier than what I expected because I’m looking for light weight. Zenni's glasses are maybe not perfect or not too fashionable, but still wearable and don’t look bad. They're affordable and good quality. Zenni is a reliable company and I recommend them.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you so much for posting your gratifying remarks about your experience with Zenni Optical. It is good to know that you find the ordering process easy, and that you are pleased with the affordability and quality of the glasses we have sent you. Since your prescription is a little strong, we are happy to see that you have made a point of selecting thin lenses and lightweight glasses, using the Details section under the enlarged picture of the frame on our website, to see the weight of the frame. We are pleased to note that you have chosen lightweight frames, weighing 9 grams (810313, now retired), 14 gm (7809615), and 15 gm (7810312). We want you to know that we are sharing your comments with our entire team, so that we can all bask in the knowledge that you are a satisfied customer. As an expression of our gratitude for your business and for taking the time and making the effort to write your review, we are emailing you from the database record of your order a token of our appreciation, to use on your next order with us. Thank you again for writing your review. At Zenni, we believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I bought a pair of children's frames for my two-year-old, by day 2 the lens fell out. We snapped it back in. It's now loose and we have to constantly snap it back in. I contacted them to ask for how to fix this, and it started with - "We need a photo", then another rep says, "We need a video" and then the third rep says, "Send them back in." Really? So my two-year-old has to go w/o glasses?? No, send a loner pair. I can't just leave her without her glasses for God knows how long -- so you can just friggin' put some glue on the lens.

Honestly, it took forever to even get these frames, I ordered at the same time from Discount Glasses and got them a WEEK before Zenni even sent theirs. They make them, then send to a shipping facility in CA, then send out to you. Waiting waiting waiting. UGH. Never, ever buying from these people again. I only bought because I had a credit. Discount Glasses - the same type of frame - but we don't have this issue. Still waiting to see what they will do now - no reply back yet.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us another opportunity to address the issues you raise. We want to apologize for any dismay you experienced when you received these glasses and we are also sorry that the customer service representative was not particularly helpful, and we apologize for this, as well. We would like to remake your glasses and send to you as soon as we can. We have emailed you with the new order number.

Once again, we are very sorry that the glasses were defective, that we were unable to discern this from the pictures and video. We hope this serves to express our apology for these lapses on our part, and to underscore our desire to keep you as a customer. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Ordered a magnifying lens. Received a foggy non magnifying lens. Called the 800 number (in Novato? Yeah right). rep told me I could have a 100% 'store credit' or 50% refund. I wanted an entire refund. Finally, I agreed to take the store credit and order another pair. THEN she told me that I would have to pay shipping on the new ones (original order was advertised 'free shipping', and that's one of the reasons I made the purchase. So, I responded to an online ad, made what seemed like a good purchase, received a product that is unusable/unwearable, and then when I tried to rectify it I found that no matter what I chose to do, they were going to charge me MORE money. They want more money from me because THEY failed to deliver a usable product. AND, this company is NOT in Novato. It's in CHINA! STAY CLEAR!!

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us another opportunity to address the issues you raise. We are sorry for any misunderstanding you experienced regarding the +1.50 magnification in the Spherical section of the page where you enter your prescription, and the 1.50 standard index lens you selected, which you believed that, since the numbers were the same, would have the +1.50 magnification in the lens, rather than being a non-prescription lens. Consequently, we want to apologize for any dismay you experienced when you received these glasses and they did not have the magnification you expected would be on the lenses. We are also sorry that the customer service representative with whom you spoke after you received the glasses was not particularly helpful, and we apologize for this, as well. Nevertheless, it is good to know that you accepted our offer to remake your glasses for free, with the reading magnification you desire, once the glasses are returned to us, and once you confirm the magnification power you want and your pupillary distance (PD). In addition, we want to confirm that we mailed you three PD rulers, as well as a printout of the downloadable PD ruler on our website (https://static.zennioptical.com/media/Zenni-Optical-PD-Ruler.pdf). We want to confirm that our headquarters office is in Novato, California, which is where the mail with these items is coming from. We trust that these measures taken will result in a successful resolution to this situation.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

It's easy and simple to order from Zenni online, and I like it. I ordered glasses that would get dark when you go out in the sunlight. Once that came, it didn't do that, so I had to contact customer service.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your observations about ordering from Zenni. We are happy to know that you like the ordering process on our website. Regarding your comment about the glasses with the photochromic feature, which causes the lenses to become tinted in the bright sunlight then clear again out of the sun, we were sorry to read that you ordered a pair of glasses with the photochromic feature, but the lenses did not get dark. We see no notes in the database records of any of your 2018 orders, none of which has photochromic lenses, nor in the database record of your most recent order for a pair of glasses with photochromic lenses, which is from December 2017. We also do not see any notes in the order preceding that one, which also was ordered with photochromic lenses, in June 2017. We are sorry to confirm that, if this pair, in gray half-rim frame 524912, is the one with lenses that are not turning dark, these glasses are beyond the one-year warranty period for the photochromic feature. However, the most recent order you placed for a pair of glasses with the photochromic feature, in black half-rim frame 461921, is within the one-year warranty period, since, as we noted, it was placed in December 2017. Therefore, we are going to email you from the database record of this order the instructions to return these glasses for an inspection of the photochromic feature. We will also email you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. If the pair in 524912 also is not getting dark, you may enclose those glasses as well in the envelope you use to return 461921, and we will inspect those as well as a courtesy. If we find that the lenses of the glasses are not turning dark in the bright sunlight, we can remake them for you for free. If we find that the lenses of the glasses are turning dark, we can return the glasses to you, or issue a 50 percent refund to the credit cards you used to pay for these orders, or issue a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account. We are eager to receive these returned glasses, so that we may inspect them and resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Zenni Optical is a place to buy cheap eyeglasses. My advice would be to read the fine print before ordering and don't rely on the photo try on frame option made available on the Zenni website. Colors differ online and little compares to feeling frames to get a sense of finish and quality. Zenni was very customer unfriendly when this customer had a problem. The eyeglasses I ordered didn't look in person at all like they looked online. I called Zenni for a return authorization and was told that was not possible since I had purchased the glasses with a store credit from a previous order (which also didn't look good in person).

I was told the return policy by a cheerful customer service person; 50% back on my original credit card and a 50% Zenni credit on the balance charged for the order. Zenni's return policy makes it clear that once they have your money they plan on keeping at least half of it. Not only does the customer pay shipping both ways, but if the glasses don't work for you, you'll be handing over 50% of their price to Zenni. I'm going back to buying my frames in person. I now have 3 pair of cheap looking glasses from Zenni that I won't be wearing. Learn from my mistakes. In the long run, it's less expensive to buy one good pair of glasses than several cheap pair of Zenni glasses.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, we were so sorry for any disappointment you experienced about these three orders, for which they don't look good on you. As per our return policy, you sent them back for the one-time use 100% store credit refund firstly, then reordered again, so the only return option would be a 50% refund back to the credit card used on your previous purchase. We will have to discard the lenses we already made for you as we are not able to sell them to another person, but we are still offering a 50% refund. Zenni is able to offer our customers eyeglasses at great prices, much lower than other companies, so we are different from other companies and we have to follow our own return policy. And now we offer a prepaid shipping label, customer just need to print the label and place on the envelope with the returned glasses. If you like this option, we want to invite you to email to service@zennioptical.com with your confirmation and the newest order number so we can follow up.

Once again, we are very sorry about your experience with these orders. We are striving to correct and improve the situation you experience and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to assist you. Thank you!

Zenni Optical expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2003, Zenni Optical is dedicated to providing high quality prescription eyewear at the lowest possible price. As a solely online business located in the San Francisco Bay area, Zenni Optical offers more than 6,000 frames, all manufactured at their 248,000 square foot facility.

• Glasses for less: With prices that are less than the average cost of lunch, Zenni Optical has a range of glasses that could almost be considered disposable.

• Reasonable delivery times: Typical orders are delivered within two weeks in the U.S., making the wait longer than same day service, but still reasonable.

• Buying guides: Get the right glasses and all the information needed to make an informed selection using the Zenni Optical buying guides.

• Lots of options: With thousands of different frames and lots of customization options available, Zenni Optical has a pair of eyewear for almost anyone.

• Sports wear: In addition to glasses and sunglasses, they also offer goggles and other prescription sports wear.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs