Call toll free
3.97/5
Based on 412 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2003 by two scientists, Zenni Optical has grown from a small, local San Francisco company to one of the largest online optical retailers. Their mission is to provide affordable eyewear, and offer a wide selection from prescription eyeglasses to custom goggles. Their manufacturing process uses the most current materials and ship directly from their factory, cutting out the middleman. Zenni's catalog lists over 6,000 frames and is manufactured in their 248,000 square-foot facility and is passed through a rigorous quality control inspection before being shipped to you. Visit their website today to find the perfect pair for you!

Zenni Optical Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

991 Zenni Optical Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

The problem with Zenni Optical is that you really have NO IDEA whether the eyeglasses will fit your face or look good on you, no matter how carefully you measure. The preview is misleading and so are the measurements. And since you may have to try many pairs of glasses to find ones that work and they won't give you a full refund after the first one, you can end up spending a lot of money.

Zenni Optical seems like a bargain at first, but it can end up being no bargain at all unless you are very lucky in your choice of frames. The way they measure the glasses is bizarre, so you can't tell if the frames will be huge or tiny. But the weirdest part is the nose piece. The bridge measurement is very misleading. Perhaps because the glasses are made in China (for Asian people?), the nose pieces are mostly for very broad noses. I've had to return several pairs of glasses because the nose piece was absurdly wide.

I originally wanted ONE pair of nice glasses and ended up with SIX so-so ones. I'd have spent less and gotten nicer frames if I'd just gone to an optician. Also, some of the frames - and especially, the clip-ons - are very cheaply made. One other thing... it's next to impossible to get anyone to respond in chatbox help. When I first started using Zenni Optical, chatbox response was fairly quick, but over time that stopped. Maybe they just don't like me.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, we were sorry to learn that the frame bridge is bigger than you hoped it would be. We want to mention that the dimensions of each frame on our website are listed under the enlarged picture of the frame, so that a customer may peruse these dimensions and determine whether the glasses will fit them well, by comparing the dimensions of the frames on Zenni Optical’s website in which you are interested with the dimensions of the glasses you have that fit you well and look good on your face. Here is the infographic on our website that helps you do this: http://www.zennioptical.com/measure-eyeglass-frame-size-how-to. If the frame is not fit, we have a 30-day return policy for any reason. Customer may send the glasses back to us for either a one-time 100% store credit (excluding shipping) to reorder or a 50% refund back to their form of payment (excluding shipping) as our glasses are custom-made medical devices.

Of course, we apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced about the customer service experience you had. We are striving to correct and improve the situation you experience and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to assist you. Thank you!

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

A friend recommended Zenni. I like their pricing and I’ve ordered more than once. The reps have been pretty responsive and my interactions with them have gone well. The initial order was incorrect but it was my mistake as something in their website made it really easy to make an error in ordering. I don’t know if they ever changed the way one puts the prescription numbers in, but I switched it around. And the way the little drop-down works is it goes negative when it goes up and positive when it goes down. So though I triple-checked the order, I never noticed that it was on the wrong side. But I was given a free one-time unit replacement so that was okay. One time, Zenni lost a pair in the factory and found that it got damaged there before they got sent to me. It took a while to track my order down but the reps made up for it by credit pay. And then they had a sale so I was able to get almost a free pair in addition to that.

I buy all of my lenses with clip-on sunglasses that they come with them but Zenni has stopped carrying those. They have the lens sometimes but they don’t have the sunglass anymore. It's very irritating that they don’t keep a good stock which kinda renders that part of it useless. Knowing that people break these things all the time because they’re cheaply made, I think that’s a mistake on their part. And because of that, I’m planning to look at their competitor. It's not that I’ll never buy anything from Zenni again, but there's another online discount frame place called Matthew and I’ve talked to their people and I’ve been happy with them. Matthew now has a showroom in the mall so I can go in and try a pair on. Matthew's eyeglasses are around $100 a pair instead of about $65 with Zenni but I’m interested in looking at them since Zenni is not carrying the sunglass clips anymore that I need, which is problematic for me.

Nevertheless, Zenni has something innovative which I like. They have those blue blocker lenses which I paid extra for. They don’t look yellow like the other lenses that are blue blockers too. It’s a special coating and it’s working. Those lenses cost about 150 a pair and I bought two of those a year and a half ago. Those are my favorite glasses. Zenni is pretty high up there for what you’re paying for them and I have told people about them.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I received someone else's glasses instead of mine and called about a week ago to get it sorted out. The CS person was apologetic and offered to remake and resend the correct pair, although I had to pressure her to expedite the order. I thought all was well but I realized today that I never received any confirmation via email. I called again just now only to find out that she'd only made a "request" to have them remade and that no action had been taken yet. A week later! The person I spoke with today said all she could do was put in another request. This is very time sensitive as I'm moving in 2 weeks and now there's no way I'll have these glasses in time. Absolutely unacceptable and I'll never use Zenni again nor would I recommend anyone else does.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us another opportunity to address this matter. We were very sorry to learn that when you contacted us on Aug. 2, 2018, to advise that you got the wrong order, the customer service representative with whom you spoke promised to contact our lab to issue the rushed remake of your order, but apparently she did not. We want to profusely apologize for this appalling lapse in service. We want you to know that today we have directed our lab to rush a remake of your order, and to mail these glasses to you via Express mail, at no additional charge, which should get the glasses to you in 7-10 days from the date they are completed. If you would prefer that the glasses be mailed to your new address, please contact Zenni Optical Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, or email our lab, at service@zennioptical.com, once you have gotten the email from our lab with the new order number, and advise of the address where you would like the glasses delivered. (Express mail cannot be delivered to a P.O. box, only a physical address.) Please put the new order number in the subject line of the email. Once again, we apologize for our lapse in service, and we trust that you will be happy with the glasses when you get them.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Zenni Optical's price is cheaper compared to other eyewear companies and they have good glasses. I bought round glasses from them which is like a Clubmaster and it looks good. The order took a bit long to arrive, so I emailed their customer service and had a good interaction with them. They were polite and told me that it was gonna take a while. I waited for two weeks and the order came in. It would be better if their shipping can be faster than two weeks. Other than that, everything was good with Zenni.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I thought these were great frames for the price until I’ve had to reorder twice within a year due to my glasses breaking. Not a very good value as now I’ve spent more than necessary due to cheap frames that break. Love the style but I’ll have to purchase elsewhere.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your complaint, which gives us another opportunity to address this issue. We were very sorry to learn that your frame broke, and we want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. Even you contacted us far beyond the 30-day warranty period, which begins the day you receive the glasses, we would like to offer you a free replacement frame #339627 as a courtesy. If you like this option, we want to invite you to email to service@zennioptical.com with your confirmation and this order number so we can follow up.

Once again, we are very sorry about your experience with this order. We are striving to correct and improve the situation you experience and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to assist you. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Zenni is affordable for somebody my age that's on a fixed income. I've been with them for five years and I usually go with the rectangle glasses. They feel comfortable. Also, the delivery is usually within a week and we live in Alaska. I'm very happy with them. I've recommended Zenni to many of my friends and have ordered some for them as well.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I ordered my glasses from Zenni because they could make it cheaper. However, I've stopped using Zenni because every time I would order from them, I would get a re-order email saying that my prescription was too strong and the frames wouldn't work. And every time I don't put in the numbers they would give me, the glasses would be little kids' glasses and not adult ones.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Zenni's advertising caught me and I’ve been using them for a couple of years now. Ordering online is very easy. I had a quick question with their CS and they answered it correctly. I’m pretty cheap and I don’t like going into a more standard store and spending $200 or $300 on glasses. With Zenni, I can buy them for 10. It's a great place to do business with.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I ordered a pair of glasses for the second time here and they do not fit. Since I returned a pair of glasses the last time due to poor quality, they only give you a 50% credit if you have a problem again. Don't waste your money, go to an optical center as some things cannot be ordered over the internet.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, we were so sorry for any disappointment you experienced about these two orders. Since the issue with these glasses was the fit, we want to advise of an infographic on every page of our website that we hope will be helpful in selecting a frame that will fit you well. It’s the How to Measure Your Frame Size infographic, which explains how to measure an eyeglasses frame you have that fits you well and looks good on your face, to determine the frame dimensions you need: https://www.zennioptical.com/measure-eyeglass-frame-size-how-to. We hope that you find this infographic to be useful.

As per our return policy, you sent them back for the one-time use 100% store credit refund firstly, then reordered again, so the only return option would be a 50% refund back to the credit card used on your previous purchase. We will have to discard the lenses we already made for you as we are not able to sell them to another person, but we are still offering a 50% refund. Once again, we are very sorry about your experience with this order. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to assist you in the future. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

It’s going well with Zenni Optical. I purchased from them because of the price and the convenience that I can just order online and the glasses will be brought to me. I don’t have to move out of my house. And the glasses arrived at the time they said. I will recommend Zenni. My cousin had used their service before as well.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

A friend told me about Zenni Optical and I liked that they were such a good price. I recently purchased the oval-shaped glasses with a half rim and I like them. I liked all of the ones that I've got there. But on two of my eyes, there's a certain part of my prescription that is different. Most people, it's the same. So, Zenni chooses not to do those differently, even though there's a handful of people that's different. The only challenge I've ever dealt with was trying to get the glasses adjusted 'cause over time, they always go out of whack. And I don't know how to do it myself. I know a little bit, enough to get me in trouble. But luckily at Walmart, they will adjust anybody's glasses for free so that works out well.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I've purchased 6 pairs of prescription glasses from Zenni. They are a good value and I have had good response from customer service when needed. I'm able to purchase glasses cheaper from Zenni without insurance than from my optometrist using my insurance benefits.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Zenni's glasses are cheaper, and I just bought my first eyeglasses. I got a full-rim and the quality is fine. The customer service team was okay, too. But I had a question a long time ago and I don’t think that problem got solved. Also, the online site was fine but I wish it was easier to contact them and to speak to the reps when we have any questions. I recommend Zenni if you want something that is affordable. It might not be the best quality but it’s something that you can definitely use.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your review, which gives us another opportunity to address your issue that is not solved yet. We have checked your order but can't find out a clue of it. As a courtesy, we urge you to telephone us at 1-800-211-2105 or email at service@zennioptical.com to describe the issue, with your order number, we're happy to look into it. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I went through the online order process with little pain, entered my prescription, chose my frames, and paid with my debit card. A little later, I got an email letting me know that my prescription is "too strong" and that Zenni couldn't fill my prescription, a prescription I've had since 1981, that I have had little difficulty getting filled anywhere else. The money I paid was taken from my account, and the email let me know that the charges would be reversed in 5 to 10 business days. That was unacceptable, I performed a chargeback with my CU, using their own email as a reason and had the charges reversed immediately. No one in my household will ever be using Zenni Optical ever again.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, we were sorry to learn that your experience with Zenni was not as you had hoped. Since your order number was not included with your comment, we are unaware of the issue you are experiencing. As a courtesy, we urge you to telephone us at 1-800-211-2105 or email at service@zennioptical.com to describe this, with your order number, we're happy to look into it. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

Ordering online through Zenni Optical's website was easy. I liked their prices and while the glasses I got from them are pretty good, they could be a little bigger. Still, the glasses are a good deal and I find that Zenni is a good place to get glasses.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I don't have eye insurance and glasses were super expensive so I wanted something affordable. The first pair of glasses I bought from Zenni were substandard rectangular $5 frames. It was to have some glasses on the basis of sight only. The next time I bought glasses, I started branching out and looking for something more fashionable. I usually get whatever looks cool to me or whatever I think I look good with. I got glasses that were a little bit more expensive but still extremely affordable. It was an ocotillo something and it reminds me of a really high quality brand of glasses that people wear nowadays. It looks really cool but is more affordable. The glasses I ordered about two years ago from Zenni were good but they floated down the river. So I had to get new ones and I love the new ones so much. Overall, everything's gone smooth with Zenni Optical and I love them.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I've ordered from Zenni Optical twice already and it was very easy. I could see the status and glasses came in the mail just fine. I like their price and they have lots of options too. My last order was a pair of full-rim glasses and I really liked it. They were cheap and cute.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I love Zenni Optical's prices and styles. I had never purchased online and they were the first retailer that I have come across. Their site is very good, simple, self-explanatory. Also, their glasses are really affordable. For people like me with a very high prescription, I have to have super thin lenses which could be $200. Before I used Zenni, I would have a pair of glasses done and I would use my own frame and it would still come in at $300. Furthermore, I like the quality of their eyewear. The frames are sturdy and the workmanship looks very good to me. Zenni's styles are also great. I am a fashionista so this is the world to me. I usually go for the cat eye glasses. I have all the edgiest glasses that Zenni has but still a little more edge would work for me.

I've contacted their customer service and what I did was I sent them the first email and then they asked me to send the first picture. And I've found that my initial emails have been answered between four and six hours. The three things that I had to have done were also done in a timely fashion. However, once, I had ordered a pair of glasses and Zenni made a mistake. So I contacted them and they got right back to me. And their solution for me was to switch out the lenses in the frame. They had the how-to video and everything but I couldn't get it done. So, I asked them if I could send the glasses back to them for them to fix it because it was their mistake. Their response was, “As a one-time courtesy, we will do this.” That reply rubbed me the wrong way. But other than that, I really love Zenni. I've told people about them and a couple of my friends have already ordered from them. I even bought a gift certificate for a girlfriend for Christmas.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I got some purple plastic glasses from Zenni Optical but I don't like them. I think the bifocals in the lens are too high. I've had the glasses for about six months but I'm not able to adjust to the bifocals. When I'm looking normal, I can't see through the bottom part. But Zenni was cheaper than the original eyeglass places. It was my first time ordering from any online optical store and the process was cool. I liked that I could post a picture and look at myself with the glasses on. That was my favorite part. I was also able to input my measurements and my prescription then pick out the ones I wanted. Everything was good, easy and accessible.

Original review: July 27, 2018

A few days ago I changed my old e-mail address to a new one. However, today I tried to access my account using my new email address. When it came up none of my information, prescription, old orders, and a store credit did not show. I want to place another order put need the aforementioned data. I called the Zenni Customer Service line and was disappointed with customer service. No one including a manager could not help and were defensive and unhelpful. I did talk with a manager who promised the "lab" would contact me to assist. However, no one contacted me. Then I tried to contact a online chat X 3, but was sent messages that representatives were unavailable.

I left a message. It's been about 40" and have not received help. I have ordered 3 pairs of glasses from Zenni and have been pleased with the quality of the products. But this recent incident with customer service is unacceptable. I would like the name and contact information of the owner of Zenni. Maybe she can help. If I do not receive assistance soon Zenni will lose a consumer, and I will submit a formal complaint to Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection Services of NC. Cheaper prices are nice but worthless unless there is an efficient customer service. Please advise.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I ordered 3 pairs of glasses before from Zenni Optical, 2 (same frame) for myself and one for my wife. One of the 2 lasted only a few months before it snapped in half, the other lasted about a year before it snapped in half in the same spot. The one for my wife was not made accurately, so she never wore them. Recently I ordered 2 different frames with the same prescriptions for myself (the ones that were made ok). One pair is ok, the other is completely off, as though it belongs to someone else. I did not bother sending them back because I don't expect the frame to last long, in which case I can change glasses and use them longer. The only reason I ordered these pairs again was because I needed cheap glasses until my insurance would cover a new prescription.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I liked the prices at Zenni and I got two pairs of glasses from them. Ordering online from them was easy. Currently, I have one full-rim style and one half-rim style and they seem to be holding up well.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Ordered sports glasses for my daughter, received safety glass with a hookup lenses which gets hook to it at the nose and you can only see straight, imagine buying safety glasses from a dollar store that doesn't fit (maybe fits a construction worker with eye size lenses hookup on the nose. I could have flushed the money in the toilet...)

Original review: July 26, 2018

Where we are, the local prescription eyewear is very expensive. Zenni Optical has cheaper prices and I've been purchasing from them for a couple of years now. I order for my family and we all use different styles. The quality of the glasses is good.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Years ago, there weren't too many online optical shops. My friend recommended Zenni so I went to their website and looked for glasses. They had a description of what each thing was. Ordering was very easy and I just entered data. Also the site has the ability to upload a picture of your face and put the glasses on. That's a feature I really like about Zenni's site. Also, their glasses are cheap and they come as I order them. I recommend this company to other people.

Original review: July 24, 2018

One of my friends told me about Zenni Optical. I tried it out and I liked some of the frames. I ordered online and it took a long time for me to get them but the glasses are good. I wear them a lot and I like them.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Zenni Optical's prices are great. My daughter and I both wear glasses and we did the "try-on" feature, which is not the greatest, but I can upload my photo and try the glasses on. I made my first order about two years ago for around $50 and it was supposed to be my temporary extra pair. I have a pair of Jean Lafont that was $900, but my $50 glasses wound up being my everyday pair. The quality of my first order was wonderful and it was my favorite. I was so happy with that pair that I recently made a big purchase of around seven pairs from Zenni.

It usually takes one to two weeks to receive a pair of glasses from them, but there was a time when I needed a temporary pair because my regular pair was going in to get the lenses switched out and I paid for upgraded shipping. I probably paid more for the shipping of the temporary pair than I did for the glasses on my first order. There was something weird going on there because I did not pay for the express shipping on my first order, but I received it just as quickly, but not sooner.

There were two pairs that I had specially hoped for, but they were both disappointments. I sent all of them back except for the one pair that my daughter kept. The return process was easy. Zenni got it quickly and they allowed me a one-time 100% store credit. I used their chat and it was good. My questions were mostly, "I don't like them, what can I do? What are my options?" The reps are very responsive and they usually bend the rules a bit for me.

I recommend Zenni to friends all the time. The reviews are very helpful and I have learned that we need to read the reviews and to encourage more people to post and make reviews. Had I read the reviews on some of the ones I purchased, I would not have bought them. After the big purchase, I returned most of them. Then I bought another pair that had really great reviews. The girls were posting photos along with the reviews. I'm wearing the pair now and I love it.

Zenni doesn't have any pair that is more than $30 and it's better to pay for the higher quality. You get what you pay for. But it's still a bargain and still the best deal. However, I have a problem with a lot of the pairs that I don't want being sold out and stocks are not guaranteed all the time. Nonetheless, Zenni is great and I love them, but I would tell people to look and do their homework. They should read the reviews on the frames before they buy them, and not to go for the cheapest ones.

Original review: July 23, 2018

My experience with Zenni Optical has been great. I like their flawless design and they have a great selection. However, I wish that they would ship faster, like if they had next day or two-day shipping. Other than that, their pricing and quality are good.

Original review: July 22, 2018

A friend recommended Zenni Optical to me and I liked that I didn't have to pay all the extra fees that go into it as long as I have my prescription. I ordered once when I was in Sweden and recently I ordered a round pair of prescription glasses with transition lenses and they're amazing, for what they are. Ordering online is pretty quick and I'm glad that Zenni has a wider variety of choices. The first pair I got was the basic but when I found these round pair, they were exactly what I wanted. I've already recommended a couple of friends to Zenni. I told them that Zenni is a good website to go get a pair. All they need is the prescription, and if they don't want anything too fancy, or if they want something more personalized, it's great.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 21, 2018

Frames of glasses deteriorated after a few months. The screw holding the lenses in place just fell apart. On close examination the screw seemed to have rusted and broke. These glasses are junk. No response from the company after several attempts. Junk!

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your review, which gives us another opportunity to address this issue, and we want to apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. We did receive an email from you to state the frame issue, however, you didn't mention the order number and frame number so we responded to that email to advise you to provide these information so we can see how to help you solve the problem. We want to invite you to email these information to us at service@zennioptical.com, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. Thank you!

Once again, we are very sorry about your experience with our glasses.

Zenni Optical expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2003, Zenni Optical is dedicated to providing high quality prescription eyewear at the lowest possible price. As a solely online business located in the San Francisco Bay area, Zenni Optical offers more than 6,000 frames, all manufactured at their 248,000 square foot facility.

• Glasses for less: With prices that are less than the average cost of lunch, Zenni Optical has a range of glasses that could almost be considered disposable.

• Reasonable delivery times: Typical orders are delivered within two weeks in the U.S., making the wait longer than same day service, but still reasonable.

• Buying guides: Get the right glasses and all the information needed to make an informed selection using the Zenni Optical buying guides.

• Lots of options: With thousands of different frames and lots of customization options available, Zenni Optical has a pair of eyewear for almost anyone.

• Sports wear: In addition to glasses and sunglasses, they also offer goggles and other prescription sports wear.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

448 Ignacio Blvd, #332
Novato
www.zennioptical.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business