3.91/5
Based on 395 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2003 by two scientists, Zenni Optical has grown from a small, local San Francisco company to one of the largest online optical retailers. Their mission is to provide affordable eyewear, and offer a wide selection from prescription eyeglasses to custom goggles. Their manufacturing process uses the most current materials and ship directly from their factory, cutting out the middleman. Zenni's catalog lists over 6,000 frames and is manufactured in their 248,000 square-foot facility and is passed through a rigorous quality control inspection before being shipped to you. Visit their website today to find the perfect pair for you!

Zenni Optical Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 18, 2018

854 Zenni Optical Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 15, 2018

I’ve been advised about Zenni Optical by a friend that have already tried them. I like their price and the quality of their products is not too bad. I’m very happy they are in the market. I got full rim glasses from them and ordering was pretty easy, except the part where I needed to put the number. When I went to the optometrist, I got a number. But sometimes, it is a little bit different and I needed to ask the optometrist what was the right number. Also, the top film on my first order started peeling after some time. It also started having little scratches too much and I needed to throw it away. Other than that, I was very pleased with Zenni. Ordering from them was fast and they were reliable. I'd recommend them to others and I'd tell them not to go anywhere else.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 14, 2018

I ordered from Zenni for the first time five months ago and I got a pair of full rim glasses. I had gone to the eye doctor before and I've always wanted a pair that looks like that but I didn't want to spend. But since Zenni was so inexpensive, I went with them. I went online, took out the pair of glasses I wanted, put in my prescription and ordered them. Then they came to my door. It was very easy and convenient. The experience was great. I will definitely order again through them and I would tell others to order through them as well.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I received a defective pair of glasses. I tried contacting this company through both the company's, Live Chat option on their website and calling. Both, left little result. I was never able to speak to someone on live chat, because when a live operator came online, they would automatically disconnect me, prior to greeting me or addressing my concerns. When I called, each time I received a hold message, with an anticipated wait time of over an hour. I emailed the company, and received a response.

Rather than issuing an RA for the item, I was given the option of taking a picture of the defective (not damaged) merchandise and receiving new frames, and suggested I take my own lenses out and replace them with new frames; This was not acceptable. I just wanted to return the item, after all of the hassle. In short, this company has violated my consumer rights, by not returning the merchandise when requested. I will never do business with Zenni again, based on the lack of service and blatant violation of my rights as a consumer. Well done Zenni!

Original review: April 13, 2018

My cousin told me about Zenni and I was able to try her glasses on. I like the glasses so I bought them with a pair of sunglasses as well. Their prices were really reasonable and when I spoke to their customer service, they were excellent and really helpful. The part that goes around my ear was a little bit too big so I contacted them to see what I could do and they offered up an immediate solution. It was a very good service. The ordering process online was extremely easy too and very user-friendly. Recently, I decided to get a third pair of glasses, regular dark-frame glasses with a full rim. I have had a great experience with Zenni. Their glasses are very affordable, they have a very large variety and they have a very fast shipping. I suggest people check them out.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

FINANCIALLY: Zenni is very rewarding. PRODUCT QUALITY: Zenni lenses are good, but Zenni rimless frames are 100% very disappointing and very frustrating (read: entirely worthless). I've tried 3 pair of ZENNI rimless glasses (yes - three), each demonstrating bridge screws that always constantly loosen and always constantly fall out (that's 3 pair out of 3 pair - an astounding 100% failure rate!). CUSTOMER SERVICE: Contact Zenni by phone and, no matter the time of day, I've always been on hold for 45 minutes (plus!), while enduring the same repeated recorded message every 20 seconds advising to continue waiting. SUMMED UP EXPERIENCE: I've given this company two chances and all items have failed - AVOID THIS BUSINESS AT ALL COSTS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

Original review: April 12, 2018

Zenni Optical has a lot to choose from and a lot of add-ons too. Usually, I like to try on eyewear before I buy it but my friend had a specific pair of sunglasses that I like so I went with them. I bought a pair for someone last year but this is the first time I purchased for myself and I got myself a pair of sunglasses with clear frames and tinted lens. Their website was easy and the ordering process went well. I’ve had it for two months and I love them. Zenni is doing a great job and I will continue to buy from them. I’m a happy customer and I’ve had a really good experience with them.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Zenni was easy to deal with and they had really good prices. Their online ordering process was super easy too. I ended up going with two pairs, and they were both trendy style with large rim glasses. It was a pretty good experience. I’ll be ordering from Zenni again.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I ordered a product and selected specific criteria (gray tint). However, when you order and you scroll down to select other criteria on the page, it clears some of your previous selection. Clearly, a website glitch, but I have to pay for the shipping to-and-from, and I can only get store credit. When I contacted customer service, they said, "Yes, you can't select this and this option." But the website is NOT clear about that. It does provide a "Quick Tip" which I overlooked. Who would think a "Quick Tip" would indicate a way to completely alter your order without even knowing it?? Very frustrating.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Zenni Optical was easy to deal with and inexpensive. I've ordered from them six times. I broke a lot of glasses in the industry that I'm in. So I just set the glasses down, forget them, drive over them, crush them and scratch them. They're inexpensive glasses and scratch easily. But, for their price, they're not bad. I've tried a wide variety of their glasses and they were either really good or insanely bad. I've gotten lenses where when I look through them, I can't see scratches, but I see a whole bunch of circles from the center point of the glasses out, making them actually useless. I can't get a hold of anybody on the phone that can help me, so I called up to get customer service and it was challenging, so I ended up tossing them. It's not worth the hassle. But usually, I don't see the circles when I'm just looking through them.

I've got two pairs and the second pair, I just got a set. Another thing was that I paid for the great scratch-resistant. There was the one lady who was telling me that the one pair is more scratch-resistant than the other and it was just absolutely the opposite. So, for a good pair of glasses, I would never consider Zenni and don't recommend them to most of my friends because they are what they are. After getting a $35 pair of glasses, they'll say it's $6.95 for the lenses, and then once I get through all the options, it's a $30 pair of glasses. Nevertheless, Zenni has so much product and the ordering process online was slick. I haven't entered my head in there yet and put the glasses on my face, but it seems pretty intuitive and easy to get through.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I caught up with a friend of mine at a local studio and I talked to her about her glasses. She said where she had got them a little inexpensive and delivered online and she gave me Zenni Optical’s website. I’ve ordered from them twice now and I’ve had my eyewear for maybe two years now. I got a pair of glasses because I was traveling, then I lost the pair that I had my prescription and I had no time to go back to see an eye doctor and get another pair.

It was going to take me some time for me to go back to the eye doctor anyway and I knew they were going to charge me fees and reschedule because I was within a month of renewing my service. It was easier to go through and order from Zenni Optical. I didn’t remember my login, so I made a new one. This time, I use a clip like a Clubmaster-type of thing and it’s blue. It’s a regular, clear, elliptical frame and it’s something that’s been suitable for day to day. And then, there’s the other one that was mellow pink.

Their website was pretty user-friendly. I ordered the eyewear where I may be at and everything was handled within the time period that they said it would and it was inexpensive. It was so much easy and I didn’t have to talk to an actual customer service representative. The only thing that was a little difficult was trying to work on the pictures. It seemed the glasses were bright and the pictures always make the glasses really huge on your face than when you go to a store. That was difficult, but I knew my style anyway and I knew what I like. Zenni is pretty cool and I have referred people to them. They offer numerous styles and sometimes, and you can find styles of glasses from certain name brands. They’re not limited to what pairs local shops offered.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I wish I would have heeded the warnings about Zenni Optical, their sloppy job, their policies and the awful customer service. I wish I would have known in time that at least one in four glasses they make are unusable. If you're getting one of those three in four, you're fine. If you get, however that one in four botched glass, then you're out of luck. You better cut your losses, and order again your glasses somewhere else. Otherwise, you're just wasting time and shipping money with returning your defective glasses, because they will never admit to their mistake, and will never send you new ones!!!

I ordered from them a very simple prescription of reading glasses, with +1.5 at both eyes. The glasses arrived with one of the lenses with a considerably higher diopter, of +2 or +2.5. The difference in the two lenses was obvious, and I couldn't use them at all. After returning the glasses, Zenni Optical didn't admit to their mistake, claiming that the glasses were fine. Of course, they can do this, because there is no way I could prove them otherwise, especially that now they have both my money and my glasses! They are willing to return 50% of the cost of the glasses, but the wasted time (I still don't have any glasses!!!) and money for the shipping back and forth make me a clear loser in this case. To the reader of this review: please learn from my experience and avoid this company at all costs!!!

Original review: April 7, 2018

Zenni was simple and easy to get through. All I had to do was put my stuff in and order them and then I got my glasses in the mail. Since I don’t have transportation, this process helps me a lot. I already ordered twice. But I had mailed back the first one because I can hold them out and I can see perfectly fine, but I couldn’t see perfectly fine with them on my face all the way. That pair was just classic and it was black and white. It had little skulls on the sides and I put my name on there because I thought that was neat. They were also cheap and cute.

I’m still not getting the correct glasses that I need and I keep having troubles. I’ve been waiting to speak with somebody about it because I picked out the frames that I wanted, but then they sent me a message that I couldn’t use those frames, so I had to take a different pair. We had a miscommunication about the glasses and I don’t care what they look like. I just want something that I can see through. I still have something credited to my account from the last glasses that I have purchased. I have tried calling Zenni and for some reason, the phone hangs up abrupt when somebody answers and I don’t know what’s going on with that. I’m hoping that I can speak to somebody soon about it because I’ve been through this hassle of trying to get this corrected for the past four months.

I’ve also done the online texting with them and I kept missing them. I go back to my email and see that they have messaged me, so I’ll read it and I message them back. And now, they’re saying that they refunded the money to the card that I had used. I used my friend's card for that purchase and I gave her the cash for it, and Zenni refunded it back to her card. I told them I can’t do that because she’s no longer around, so it’s a bigger mess. Zenni should have somebody for me to call and contact as soon as the issue with the first pair had occurred. That would be a lot easier than having to go through the internet to contact and to message them. Zenni responded to me, but I really didn’t get the customer service that I wanted.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I’ve ordered some glasses from LensCrafters and they wanted a whole lot of money. I saw the Zenni Optical ad, did a little bit of research, looked into it, and got two pairs of glasses for just a small percentage of what LensCrafters are worth. Also, I was amazed at how they estimated the product arrival time and that they were shipping close. The delivery was alarmingly quick. I got an aviator and another one that’s semi-frameless, small rectangular lens. The aviator type has been what I've been using before. The frames were a little bit smaller than I had anticipated for the lens size though. I’m near-sighted, and I got the other one so that I can peek over the top of the lens and read if I look through lenses and see far away. I was amazed by how awful the prescription was on my left eye but I’m pretty happy at this point.

The temple started to get just a little bit loose on one side of the glasses. I’ve got some jewelers screwdrivers, tightened it up, and it’s all better. If I just monitor how tight the temples are, I don’t have to worry about losing the only screws that are involved. I understand that they’re not as robust and as heavy-duty as what I’ve had in the past but if I pay attention to them, I’ll beat the longevity out of them. I’m very happy with them. I’m going to go to a different ophthalmologist next time and I’ll be ordering again. Zenni is more than a value. It’s a heck of a deal.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I've had Zenni Optical eyewear for over a year now. I knew about this company through a friend and I loved the design and the affordability of their glasses. I went online to order and the site asked for as much information as possible pertaining to my prescription to give me the most accurate pair of glasses. I love that I was also able to customize the glasses. I have ordered three pairs and all have my name on the sides. One of them was a clear pair that's full-rimmed and a little cat-eyed. I also had put the transition lenses on one of the pairs while the two had the clip-on to convert my glasses into sunglasses and they work perfectly. I'm comfortable with the glasses and they fit my style. People would always give me compliments and ask me where I got them. The prices were amazing as well. Zenni is good and I have recommended them several times.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I ordered my glasses for the first time, paying for the fastest shipping at an additional $18.99, they were supposed to be here by Saturday. On Monday they were "out for delivery", on Tuesday they were "out for delivery", by Tuesday afternoon there was an "exception scan"- it is Wednesday and I've tried contacting them via their "chat" but after waiting to be "connected" for over a half hour I've opted to call. I've now been on hold for 19 minutes. Very disappointed after having someone tell me to try Zenni.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I used to just go directly to my optometrist and when my niece introduced Zenni Optical to me, I've ordered from them. Zenni has a lot of selections and ordering is quick and very easy. Everything has always been on time and although I emailed their customer service once asking them when I would get my glasses, they told me right away when I was going to get it and then gave me a tracking number. My glasses last me a bit. The one I have now is wire-framed and I like its shape. I've been purchasing from Zenni for about four years now and I’ve had a great experience with them.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Do not buy these if you want the correct prescription. I returned the glasses and multiple times Zenni said they were defective but returned the same glasses! I would not recommend to anyone. Also customer service is slow to get a hold of.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I purchased progressive lens glasses and shortly after receiving them, Zenni updated the options you could get on progressive lenses. I discovered after wearing my glasses for a short time that I needed one of the other progressive options. I contacted them and was sent a return authorization with no problem. According to my tracking number, the glasses have arrived back at Zenni but I still have not received the credit on my account so I can re-order my glasses. I have tried to contact Customer Service on several occasions and each time the recording says my wait time will be over 20 minutes. My only complaint at this point is that they need to hire more personnel to improve their Customer Service. Otherwise, I feel they offer a good product and are a reputable company.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I bought my first pair of glasses at an eye doctor but it's very expensive so I searched for cheaper alternatives online. I found Zenni and they had good reviews and people seemed pleased with their experience. I’ve been using them for 10 years and ordering is easy and streamlined. They don’t have any problems and I’ve always been happy with it. Most of the pairs I ordered were black thin-rimmed but I have a plastic pink pair right now and I’ve never had an issue with any of my glasses. I like the way they look on me plus, it’s a cheaper alternative than buying in a store. I looked at other eyeglasses but Zenni had some of the best prices and they had a lot of styles to choose from. They’re doing great and they should keep at it.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Zenni was pretty cheap and a friend said that it was reliable with how the glasses work. They have pretty good glasses for a reasonable price and the online ordering process was fine. I got basic black glasses that I use as back up whenever I can't find my own or if I need to wear them.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I ordered progressive lenses, the order arrived, I couldn't read with them. They gave a return label, I sent them back, they said I was given the wrong prescription and they would send me a corrected pair. I just got them and they are the same as the first pair. I still can't see near.

Original review: April 1, 2018

My sister uses Zenni and they have a really good price which I took advantage of. I ordered four different pairs because I love them and if you’re going to wear glasses, you should have a variety. I did it online and the delivery was quick and easy. They just showed up in my mailbox and they were good to go. I even ordered sunglasses, too. When I got glasses from my eye doctor, it took longer for me to get it done so Zenni works quicker than my optometrist. I told my other sister to use Zenni and I will refer my friends too.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Ordered a pair of reading glasses. Glasses arrived but the lenses kept popping out of the frame. When I called to complain Zenni sends me a new frame. However the lenses kept popping out of them as well. You would think it was obvious that there was something wrong with the lenses right? Customer service sent me a prepaid label to mail the whole shebang back. Several days later Customer Service insists that I did not send the lenses back. They are crazy. All this hassle for glasses that I paid $6.95 + shipping which was $11.21 total sale. Look at all the fighting I had to go through and still no glasses. I solved my problem by disputing this charge with my credit card. They refunded my money. Stay away from this company. Junk all around and no service at any price.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I used Costco and a local company before but friends recommended Zenni's website. I've had their glasses, the metal ones, for about seven months now and everything is okay but the focus is a little bit too up-side. It has to be down, maybe half inch down. When I use it, I have to put my glasses on the up to a little bit more higher and it’s a bit uncomfortable. Otherwise, they’re really good glasses and I love them. I would recommend Zenni's website to several friends.

Original review: March 30, 2018

A friend of mine bought glasses from Zenni’s website and told me about it. I needed a new pair of glasses and I liked the frames. It was inexpensive and they came in less than a week so I was very interested. I ordered once from them and everything was very easy to use. I typed in my information and they confirmed it. Everything's worked really well that I didn't need help with any customer service but talking to someone may have been helpful with finding out about all the styles and all the different styles because I didn’t get to go through all the different styles. I simply went for the one that I saw that I liked. I needed another sense of instruction but at the same time, it’s a benefit that I didn’t need customer service at all. I got a style which had a circular frame and the bends that went around my ears were tortoise. My sisters, my mom and my friends bought glasses from them. I've told friends that it's inexpensive and fast and I'd still recommend today.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I was trying to find a different company and Zenni Optical's prices were less. In December, I purchased black glasses with little rims. They're thin frames with little rhinestones at the end of the eye part and the arms. I like the style but I thought they were bigger than they were. Also, I didn't know you could check your eyes online. I was telling my eye doctor that I didn't know how to do that then a friend told me that I had to go through a certain place and I could measure my eye. Still, I have recommended them.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Poor quality of manufacturing prescription lenses. Could not even see properly out of lenses. Customer Service was very negative. Customer service only offered 50% of total price paid or credit for another pair. Why would I order again when the lenses were wrong and prescription was not done properly the first time. Will not recommend this website to anyone. Buyer be aware before ordering glasses from this website. Quality and service were horrible!!! I am post this warning on social media websites. Do not order glasses on Zenni.com. Customer satisfaction is not guaranteed.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I've never had an issue with them until I recently purchased a pair of "sunglasses" with a horrible pink tint. On the website they look like gold aviators which is what I wanted and selected a 10% pink tint. That's ALL the lenses were. These glasses looked like they belong to a 12 year old girl who loves pink. There was no gold at all, just pink. And absolutely zero protection from the sun or helped with the brightness at all. So I called customer support to get a refund for return. Little did I know they only give you HALF of your money back... Of a one time 100% credit to use on other glasses, which you can't even use for a month. That is total bs and after I get a new pair of glasses since they're robbing me of my money, I will never be back.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I wasn't able to afford anything higher. I then went with Zenni Optical because of their price. I ordered two glasses, one after another. I got one with a square frame and it has a wooden stick for the ear, like it looks wood and there’s a little bump coming out of it. I like that pair and have had it for three or four months now. They seem to be doing great. It was a good experience. The only thing is sometimes I find it hard to try the glasses on or hard to match it. I didn't know how far my face should be from the camera. It's hard to put my picture in like it wasn't telling dimensions exactly. So, I didn't know if the glasses really looked good at me or not. So, I was doing a guess.

And I also think that for people like me doing their prescription the first time, there should be an explanation about things like the pupillary distance or the bifocal. And it would as well be much better if there is a little clip or pictures to show exactly how to do the measurement. There are inches, mm and cm and I wasn't sure which one and then I thought I got the right one but I counted it and it wasn't. But other than those, Zenni Optical is great. I called one time to find out how long it can take my glasses to come and it was great with the representative I spoke with.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I am extremely disappointed in the customer service and policy. This is exactly why I do not purchase online or from cheap websites. I should have stuck with Warby Parker. My glasses came in the mail today and the quality is worse than when I use to go to Dr. Bizer's. I compared both lenses to my current glasses and the prescription is off. The lenses are also flimsy. I am not happy that I will only receive a 50% refund on products made incorrectly and with CHEAP CHINA lenses. I do not recommend buying from Zenni if you need glasses that will assist you with the sole purpose of why folks wear glasses, their eyesight! While the glasses are "trendy" your eyes will not thank you if you actually need assistance in that department. Sincerely, Extremely disappointed with so many aspects of Zenni...

Zenni Optical expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2003, Zenni Optical is dedicated to providing high quality prescription eyewear at the lowest possible price. As a solely online business located in the San Francisco Bay area, Zenni Optical offers more than 6,000 frames, all manufactured at their 248,000 square foot facility.

• Glasses for less: With prices that are less than the average cost of lunch, Zenni Optical has a range of glasses that could almost be considered disposable.

• Reasonable delivery times: Typical orders are delivered within two weeks in the U.S., making the wait longer than same day service, but still reasonable.

• Buying guides: Get the right glasses and all the information needed to make an informed selection using the Zenni Optical buying guides.

• Lots of options: With thousands of different frames and lots of customization options available, Zenni Optical has a pair of eyewear for almost anyone.

• Sports wear: In addition to glasses and sunglasses, they also offer goggles and other prescription sports wear.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs