Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.11/5
Based on 1,044 ratings submitted in the last year

Founded in 2003 by two scientists, Zenni Optical has grown from a small, local San Francisco company to one of the largest online optical retailers. Their mission is to provide affordable eyewear, and offer a wide selection from prescription eyeglasses to custom goggles. Their manufacturing process uses the most current materials and ship directly from their factory, cutting out the middleman. Zenni's catalog lists over 6,000 frames and is manufactured in their 248,000 square-foot facility and is passed through a rigorous quality control inspection before being shipped to you. Visit their website today to find the perfect pair for you!

Zenni Optical Gallery (3)
View More View More

Zenni Optical Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 3, 2020

I love Zenni. A coworker was always wearing different frames, and she said it was Zenni. She showed me and I started ordering them. I have five pairs so far and they're all affordable. The frames are good and sturdy. I am very pleased with the pair I got. They have the magnetic sunglass attachment because I’m unable to wear my sunglasses if I don’t have my contacts in. I have chronic dry eyes so I can’t wear my contacts every day. I get so many compliments on my glasses and people cannot believe how much I pay for them.

I have a bifocal and my prescription is different at each eye. My glasses usually cost me about $500. And I’ve not paid Zenni more than $56 for a pair. That was the most expensive pair that I’ve had. People do not believe it when I say it’s $27. I even got a pair that I paid $16 for. I’ve been ordering for a little over a year now and they’ve all been good quality. I actually had to take a pair that I got from a local optical place to have fixed, and I paid over $400 for them, and the frames fell apart. I’ve tried to order from other places online that other people say they use, but by the time I get to the checkout, the price is either double or triple. And at Zenni, it’s what it is. And I always get a coupon that I can use, a coupon code that I can use later.

The website is very easy to navigate and the glasses look exactly like in the website. It shows how they look on other people so I can use that as a base. I like how they show the ones by price and then the new style. I’ve even ordered a pair under the men’s because I liked the frame. I ordered for my boss a pair not long ago. My sister finally jumped over and I got her a pair because she’s always going to the same person and she paid way too much. She went ahead and ordered from Zenni too.

Get buying tips about Glasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I have been using Zenni for 6, 7 or more years now - I honestly forget - and must say having freedom from Australia's price-gouging opticians is a God-send. A "discount" pair of glasses here, with basic lenses and a single oleophobic coating will set you back a *minimum* of $200; "$99" if you believe the hype, but to get that price you have to buy 2. *giggle*, fun, isn't it. Every time I walk past an optician's in my city, I just shake my head at their nonsense pricing, and walk on.

I took a chance on Zenni way back when the website was very plain, and the prices matched - I think I struggled to find a pair over $30 way back then. It was so long ago that when they migrated their website from the original to the current, my first order didn't make the cut and got left behind. :) And since, I've ordered every 18 months to two years - 4 or 5 pairs at a time. I figure at Zenni's prices, I don't care if I sit or stand on a pair or two. There's always one in the car, another in the kitchen, lounge, bedroom, bathroom - it's almost a plague. It's great!

Out of all the pairs I've had, only one had an issue - a mis-set lens on one side of an acetate frame. To be honest, I never bothered complaining, returning or even enquiring; I just wore them around the house when cleaning or outdoors mowing the lawn rather than taking them out in public. For $9.95, it really didn't seem worth the hassle to either myself or Zenni.

I'm building up to my bi-annual spend-a-thon, and per my tradition, I'll be trying new and more interesting things. I'm getting older, so I'm going to invest in some bifocals and one each of their range of progressive lenses, so I can settle on my favourite before making that my default order, rather than my current single visions. At Zenni's prices and with my personal experience of their quality over so many years, I'm happy to have a relationship with a company which prices such a luxury within my reach. I might even lash out and try something super-cool like a pair of prescription sunnies with standard progressives - so the reading window is clear of tint. Then I'll just need to find the tour bus to sit on while I gaze out the window with the top half and skim over the route notes with the bottom...that's what I call luxury.

Delivery times for single vision lenses has always been great to Australia. They've often reached me well within the 10 day window; far faster than items coming in from other areas of Asia which didn't require the personal handling of prescription eyewear. And the single-rate delivery charge is a blessing - I can't even send a parcel of comparable size anywhere in Australia for the price Zenni charge for delivery from overseas. Fabulous stuff.

Cheers, Zenni, from down under. My ONLY request would be if you could please include a few business cards in each order - you don't know how many microfibre cloths I've given away over the years as "references", so my friends and acquaintances don't forget your name before they get home to look you up online :)

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your very gratifying review of your experience ordering glasses from Zenni. We were delighted to read that you find our prices beat those of the optical retailers you have encountered in Australia, and we are heartened to know that our low prices enable you to keep pairs of Zenni glasses in your car and in many locations in your home. As a gesture of our gratitude for your business and our appreciation of your kind remarks, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

At Zenni, I wish it would be easier to understand what their sizing is. Their site is great at teaching me what the blockers mean and why I should get them in my glasses. It also shows me what looks good on each face. However, they don't do a great job telling me what sizes I shouldn't get. I have a small size and I should be in the children's section.

There was one time when I realized that Zenni had put in the wrong prescription for my glasses which was totally my error. Their reps were very helpful but then I wish they would've been clearer on getting the refund as opposed to saying that it would go to my Zenni account. To me, that wasn't very clear so I went ahead and ordered the glasses. The next day, I got $48 in my Zenni account when I thought that was going into my bank account. Still, that wasn't a huge problem as their glasses are cheap enough. Other than this misunderstanding, Zenni has been super great.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the information presented on our website, as well as our refund policy. We are pleased that you had some favorable things to say about Zenni, as well as some critical comments about other aspects of your interactions with us, and we are happy to respond to your concerns. Regarding the size of our frames, we want to advise that under the enlarged picture of every frame on our website, we show the dimensions of each frame element, in millimeters. The frame from your first order, placed in May 2018, is model 109325, a full-rim, acetate tortoiseshell frame. The frame width, the most important measurement that will determine whether the frame will fit you well, is 140 mm, which we consider a large frame. We see no notes in the database record of this order indicating that you had an issue with this frame. Your second order, placed in November 2019, which you contacted us to cancel because an incorrect prescription was entered, has frame 206815, a round, flexible plastic ombre frame, brown on top, clear on the bottom. The frame width is 139 mm, close to that of the first frame you ordered. You again selected this frame on your December 2019 order. We are sorry if a frame width of 139 mm is too wide to fit you well. In addition to disclosing the dimensions of our frames on our website, we also have an infographic, found toward the middle of the bottom of every page on our website, explaining how to measure a pair of eyeglasses that you have now that fits you well, so that you may order a frame with similar dimensions. It is our How to Measure Your Frame Size infographic: https://www.zennioptical.com/measure-eyeglass-frame-size-how-to. We hope that you find this infographic useful. Since you mention that you were unaware you would receive store credit for the order you canceled, we want to clarify that if a customer cancels an order within the first 24 hours after the order has been placed, we can fully refund the amount of the purchase to the credit card or other source of payment that was used. However, if a request to cancel an order is made after 24 hours have elapsed but before the glasses are mailed to the customer, we can offer a full refund, including the shipping fee, in the form of store credit to the customer’s Zenni Optical account, which we issued to your account on December 2, 2019. We are sorry if we did not clarify this when you had an online chat with us on December 2, 2019, more than 24 hours after the order had been placed, and after we had manufactured the glasses, but before they left our lab. Therefore, we apologize for any dismay you experienced regarding this matter. In addition, as another measure of apology for this matter and the issue you experienced with the size of the frames you received, as well as a gesture of gratitude for your business and your complimentary remarks, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I heard about Zenni Optical two years ago from a young lady I know who works at a particular job in my town but I’ve forgotten about them because I've been without glasses for a while. My glasses ended up breaking, but I work for a call center so I need glasses to see the screen. One of my co-workers was telling a story about purchasing several pairs of glasses from Zenni and a couple of other co-workers. So, I just went ahead and browsed through the site. I like the website a whole lot. At first, I had an issue with understanding the PD because mine is 31. I tried to order and a few times when I tried calling them, it was over an hour before I spoke with anyone, which was when the co-worker told me about Zenni again. So, I called and spoke with the young lady, and she said to put 62 in. She walked me through the whole site.

I found some glasses I like and ordered three pairs. I stopped wearing the metal a long time ago because of the middle piece so, I just stuck to the plastic frame and I went with the rectangular one. I ordered two of the same frames, but one in a purple color, one in a black color, and then I ordered some that has the frame of sunglasses. They can be either sunglasses or regular glasses and so, they're just a little bit bigger than my rectangular frames. Then I have the slide-on clip for the shade. I was thinking about calling back to see if I can get some more of the slide-on clips for my other two glasses. I’m very satisfied with Zenni plus, I can see. The frames that I like cost only 6.95 and because my PD was just a little bit high, it only cost $9. So, I paid $15 and some change for each pair of glasses. I used to pay $500 for two pairs of glasses and then would not be able to see out of them.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

For the past 15 years, my experience with optometrists has been a less than stellar experience. The last two times, I've had to return to have my eyes reexamined to obtain the correct prescription however, the worst part was working with their staff to measure my pupil distance (PD). In both cases the PD was incorrectly measured, which is a significant issue for progressive lenses. Since my prescription was still fine, I decided to try an online site for my next pair of glasses. After much research, I chose Zenni, which was one of the most highly rated.

Once on their site, I began with frame selection by looking at the frames that were recommended for progressive lenses and was pleased to find that there were several to choose from. My face is round, so I look best in rectangular frames, which narrowed the options, but there were still several to choose from. I uploaded a selfie, which was a simple process, and tried them all on. I selected the Titanium frame in brown, since I have a ruddy complexion. As mentioned previously, the PD is one of the most important measurements for progressive lenses, so I downloaded and printed the measuring tool, and put a credit card on the sheet to ensure the scale was correct, which it was.

My last measurement from the Optometrist was 70.0 mm, evenly distributed between right and left eye (35 mm each side); however, I me measured 68.5 mm in the mirror, so I asked my wife to take a measurement and she also measured 68.5 mm. We then put a dot on my forehead exactly in the center of the bridge of my nose and measured the distance to each pupil; 35 mm Right eye, 33.5 mm Left eye. The question that ran through my mind was, which measurement was was correct; the optometrist used a high-tech PD machine and I used a paper ruler. What I was sure of was that my current glasses had a problem, because I had to adjust my frame so far right that the frame was touching the left side of my nose--looked very strange! Next step was to enter the prescription and the Dual PD, place the order and hope for the best, knowing that Zenni would work with me to get it right if the glasses were not satisfactory, per their guarantee.

I opted for standard shipping and received the glasses in less than the stated time. Upon receipt, I put the glasses on and to my utmost surprise the frames fit perfectly, were very light, and the progressive lenses worked as prescribed--corrective vision at its best. I ordered the 1.67 Blokz Digital Free Form Progressive lenses and have seamless progression from reading to distance vision. In the past, there were always gaps at some distance, which caused me to physically move to see what I needed to see. I am very satisfied with my Zennis and highly recommend them. I followed the intuitive Zenni directions and came out on the winning side of the eyeglass debacle--no need to spend four times more than you need to; trust the process and you'll be very satisfied. All the best!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

Original review: May 28, 2020

I ordered 2 pairs of glasses, one as single vision and the other progressives, the single vision I thought I had ordered as transitional tint but when I looked back at the order I apparently had not (my own mistake) otherwise they are good. The progressives I can’t wear as the vision field is too high in the lens so in order to wear them successfully I end up having the below the bridge bone of my nose, almost at the tip. Therefore I have been unable to wear these glasses unfortunately.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the two pairs of glasses you received from us. We were happy to read that you are pleased with the single-vision glasses, but we were sorry to learn that the placement of the progressive reading corridor in the other pair is too high for you to use these glasses. Therefore, we apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. We want to advise that the frame you selected for the progressive glasses, 461816, has a 32-millimeter lens height. The top of our progressive reading corridor starts at 5 mm above the center line of the lens. The center line of these 32-mm high lenses is 16 mm, with the top of the progressive reading corridor placed at 21 mm up from the bottom, leaving 11 mm of distance vision at the top of the lens. You are within the 30-day warranty period on this order, which starts the day the glasses are delivered. Therefore, we can offer you one of our two refund options for these glasses, and since you are in Canada, you will not have to return them to obtain the refund of your choice – either a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses in the form of store credit to your Zenni account, or a 50 percent refund to the PayPal account you used to pay for them. If you would like to pursue one of these refund options, we invite you to telephone Zenni Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. Please have the order number handy when you call, and please advise the customer service representative who answers which refund option you would prefer. If the wait to speak with a customer service representative is lengthy, you may have an online chat with us by clicking the Support button found toward the lower right-hand side of every Zenni page, or you may contact us by emailing us at service@zennioptical.com, and if you choose this contact method, please put your order number in the subject line of the email, and in the body of the email please advise of the refund option you prefer. We hope to hear back from you regarding the refund you would prefer for these glasses, so that we may resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I ordered a pair of glasses when I received them and put them on. My right eye was way off and my bifocals would not line up. I had to close my right eye to read anything. They are an interesting pair of glasses. Thank you.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the bifocal glasses you received, which we were very sorry to read did not work for you. Consequently, we apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. We see a big discrepancy between the Spherical value entered for your right eye (OD), -4.25, and your left eye (OS), +0.50. This is considerably different from the prescription you provided on your previous order, placed in April 2013, and the pupillary distance (PD) is a little different, too, but of course we understand that a person’s prescription can change in seven years. This purchase is a few days outside the 30-day warranty period, which starts the day the glasses are delivered, but of course we will extend the warranty period for you so that you may return these bifocals for an inspection. Therefore, we invite you to telephone Zenni Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. Please have the order number and prescription you got from the eye doctor handy when you call, because the customer service representative who answers will ask you to verify the prescription, and if the PD is not on the prescription, the representative will ask how you obtained it – self-measurement, friend or family member measurement, or eye doctor measurement. If you confirm that the prescription and PD were entered correctly, the representative will email you instructions to return the glasses for an inspection, and they will also email you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. If our inspection finds any manufacturing errors in the glasses, we can offer to remake the glasses for you for free. If, however, it turns out that, unfortunately, anything on the order was entered incorrectly, we can offer you one of our two refund options – either a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses in the form of store credit to your Zenni account or a 50 percent refund to the credit card you used to pay for them. If the wait to speak with a customer service representative is lengthy, you may have an online chat with us by clicking the Support button found toward the lower right-hand side of every Zenni page, or by emailing us, at service@zennioptical.com, and if you choose this contact method, please put your order number in the subject line of the email, please attach a copy of the prescription to the email, and if the PD is not on the prescription, please confirm how it was obtained. We are eager to hear back from you, so that we may inspect these incorrect glasses, determine why you cannot see well with them, and, we hope, resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Cannot order a new pair of glasses with the same prescription as all my other orders have been. I hope that this can be fixed because I enjoy being able to order from the website. Would like a new pair of glasses.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review stating that you cannot order a new pair of glasses with the same prescription you have used on your previous orders. We were sorry to read this, and we apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. We see that you have placed orders with us in 2017, 2019, and April 2020. Each of these orders has the same prescription and pupillary distance (PD). This prescription is very mild, and there is no reason you should not be able to place a new order with this prescription and PD. We invite you to telephone Zenni Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. Please advise the customer service representative of the difficulty you have had placing a new order with this prescription and PD. Our representative should be able to assist you by answering any questions you may have about entering your prescription on our website. We see that the frame on your most recent order, model 3220821, has a PD range that starts at 64 mm, higher than your PD of 63 mm. Nevertheless, by assessing an extra-strength charge of $9.00, we were able to adjust the optical center of the lenses so that the frame would accept your PD. If the issue is that the PD range of the frame in which you are interested does not include 63 mm, and the website advises that the frame will not accommodate the PD, even with an extra-strength charge, we are sorry that the frame will not accommodate your PD. Therefore, we want to encourage you to select a frame that includes 63 mm within the range the frame accommodates. If the wait to speak with a customer service representative is lengthy, you may have an online chat with us by clicking the Support button found toward the lower right-hand side of every Zenni page. We hope to hear back from you regarding this matter, so that we may resolve it to your satisfaction.

Original review: May 28, 2020

Even though I measured several times the bifocal lines just are quite where they need to be. The frames are also very poor quality. The add on sunglasses thing was a good fit for the glasses. I will not order from here again.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the progressive glasses you received in frame 2026739. We are sorry if you are having trouble with the progressive reading corridor, and we are also sorry to read that you dislike the quality of the frame. Consequently, we apologize for any disappointment you experienced as a result. We want to advise that the progressive reading corridor starts at 5 millimeters up from the center line of the lens. This lens is 41 mm high, so the center line would be at 20.5 mm, and five mm above this would be at 25.5 mm. At its narrowest point, the progressive reading corridor is approximately 12-14 mm wide, with no vision correction on either side of this reading corridor. If this placement of the progressive reading corridor does not work for you, and since you dislike the quality of the frame, we want to advise that even though you are a few days outside the 30-day warranty period, which begins the day the glasses are delivered, we will be happy to extend this warranty period for you to return these glasses for one of our two refund options – either a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses in the form of store credit to your Zenni account, or a 50 percent refund to the credit card you used to pay for them. If you would like to pursue this option, we invite you to telephone Zenni Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. Please have the order number handy when you call, and please advise the customer service representative who answers which refund option you would prefer. They will email you instructions to return the glasses for the refund you choose, and they will also email you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. If the wait to speak with a customer service representative is lengthy, you may have an online chat with us by clicking the Support button found toward the lower right-hand side of every Zenni page, or you may contact us by emailing us at service@zennioptical.com, and if you choose this contact method, please put your order number in the subject line of the email, and in the body of the email please advise of the refund option you prefer. We hope to hear back from you regarding the refund you would prefer for these glasses, so that we may email you the instructions to return the glasses, and, we hope, resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I ordered my daughter for the second time some purple frames and both times the arm snapped in the same spot. The first time it snapped the same day we got them and the second pair snapped within 2 days. I understand these are discount glasses but I expect they last a little longer than that. I would appreciate a refund or credit. The second pair we bought were awesome.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the frame 128517, which you ordered in February 2020 and April 2020, both of which frames we were sorry to learn broke. Consequently, we apologize for any dissatisfaction you and your daughter experienced as a result. This purchase is within its 30-day warranty period, which starts the day the glasses are delivered. Therefore, in response to your request, we will ask our lab to issue a $12.95 refund in the form of store credit to your Zenni account. In addition, we are asking our lab to send you a free replacement frame 128517, so that you may swap the lenses from the broken frame into the new one. Here is a how-to video found toward the middle of the bottom of every page of our website, explaining how to swap lenses from one full-rim frame into another: https://www.zennioptical.com/c/how-to#howto-replace-fullrim. You should receive an email from our lab later tonight, confirming that they are refunding the price of the glasses in frame 128517, $12.95, to your Zenni account, and that they are sending you a free replacement frame 128517. We trust that this store credit refund and free replacement frame will resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Zenni Optical author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2003, Zenni Optical is dedicated to providing high quality prescription eyewear at the lowest possible price. As a solely online business located in the San Francisco Bay area, Zenni Optical offers more than 6,000 frames, all manufactured at their 248,000 square foot facility.

• Glasses for less: With prices that are less than the average cost of lunch, Zenni Optical has a range of glasses that could almost be considered disposable.

• Reasonable delivery times: Typical orders are delivered within two weeks in the U.S., making the wait longer than same day service, but still reasonable.

• Buying guides: Get the right glasses and all the information needed to make an informed selection using the Zenni Optical buying guides.

• Lots of options: With thousands of different frames and lots of customization options available, Zenni Optical has a pair of eyewear for almost anyone.

• Sports wear: In addition to glasses and sunglasses, they also offer goggles and other prescription sports wear.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team