4.21/5
Based on 1,030 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2003 by two scientists, Zenni Optical has grown from a small, local San Francisco company to one of the largest online optical retailers. Their mission is to provide affordable eyewear, and offer a wide selection from prescription eyeglasses to custom goggles. Their manufacturing process uses the most current materials and ship directly from their factory, cutting out the middleman. Zenni's catalog lists over 6,000 frames and is manufactured in their 248,000 square-foot facility and is passed through a rigorous quality control inspection before being shipped to you. Visit their website today to find the perfect pair for you!

Zenni Optical Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Zenni Optical Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

For the past 15 years, my experience with optometrists has been a less than stellar experience. The last two times, I've had to return to have my eyes reexamined to obtain the correct prescription however, the worst part was working with their staff to measure my pupil distance (PD). In both cases the PD was incorrectly measured, which is a significant issue for progressive lenses. Since my prescription was still fine, I decided to try an online site for my next pair of glasses. After much research, I chose Zenni, which was one of the most highly rated.

Once on their site, I began with frame selection by looking at the frames that were recommended for progressive lenses and was pleased to find that there were several to choose from. My face is round, so I look best in rectangular frames, which narrowed the options, but there were still several to choose from. I uploaded a selfie, which was a simple process, and tried them all on. I selected the Titanium frame in brown, since I have a ruddy complexion. As mentioned previously, the PD is one of the most important measurements for progressive lenses, so I downloaded and printed the measuring tool, and put a credit card on the sheet to ensure the scale was correct, which it was.

My last measurement from the Optometrist was 70.0 mm, evenly distributed between right and left eye (35 mm each side); however, I me measured 68.5 mm in the mirror, so I asked my wife to take a measurement and she also measured 68.5 mm. We then put a dot on my forehead exactly in the center of the bridge of my nose and measured the distance to each pupil; 35 mm Right eye, 33.5 mm Left eye. The question that ran through my mind was, which measurement was was correct; the optometrist used a high-tech PD machine and I used a paper ruler. What I was sure of was that my current glasses had a problem, because I had to adjust my frame so far right that the frame was touching the left side of my nose--looked very strange! Next step was to enter the prescription and the Dual PD, place the order and hope for the best, knowing that Zenni would work with me to get it right if the glasses were not satisfactory, per their guarantee.

I opted for standard shipping and received the glasses in less than the stated time. Upon receipt, I put the glasses on and to my utmost surprise the frames fit perfectly, were very light, and the progressive lenses worked as prescribed--corrective vision at its best. I ordered the 1.67 Blokz Digital Free Form Progressive lenses and have seamless progression from reading to distance vision. In the past, there were always gaps at some distance, which caused me to physically move to see what I needed to see. I am very satisfied with my Zennis and highly recommend them. I followed the intuitive Zenni directions and came out on the winning side of the eyeglass debacle--no need to spend four times more than you need to; trust the process and you'll be very satisfied. All the best!

Get expert buying tips about Glasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I am very happy with the product in several keys areas. First off- the affordability of glasses from Zenni is hard to match. One unspoken requirement of my career and profession is to visually stand out from the crowd. I have always wanted to make cool eye-wear part of that beyond just some hip shades. Vision care through insurance providers being what it is, I could not afford more than one pair of glasses per year, and the idea of purchasing some really eye-catching specs seemed too frivolous to consider while my wife and I raise two children. This yearly rationing of spectacles had also nearly rendered prescription sunglasses to the realm of fantasy.

Now I can easily purchase several pair at once, including sunglasses, in a huge variety of colors and styles. I feel like I can get some glasses for special occasions or even to match or contrast items from my wardrobe. So far I have only ordered plastic/acrylic frames, and they feel and fit as good as any expensive brand-name I have owned over 3 decades.

The prescription was perfect. They offer different lense-thicknesses so get the the thinnest ones you can for free like I did, or splash down for the thinnest they offer at an up-charge. Certain frames can look better with really thin lenses, and I will pay the extra cost if I need to. With Zenni frames starting at $7 getting exactly what you want is still incredibly affordable. I can also say I like the Vegan Leather case. I have one in a light brown. The inner part is soft, the reinforced sides seem sturdy, and the outer surface feels nice to the touch. I like sleekness of the closure feature as well- it may fail over time, but at a cost of only $5, a replacement is easy to procure.

My wife discovered Zenni, and was happy with her first purchase. I have ordered three times through the easy-to-understand/navigate website (even via the mobile version) and although I have had issues with order-confirmation/updates that seem like an easy IT fix, we are both quite pleased with the styles and quality on offer. I was impressed with the selection of tint and gradient, and I like the custom personalized-engraving options as well. They have several levels of shipping, so for an extra cost you can have them in a week’s time.

Again, the affordability of the glasses mitigates the shipping costs if you need them fast. They also save your orders so re-ordering a particular pair would be a breeze. We will certainly order again for ourselves, and will likely order a few pair for teenage son as well. Overall, it’s an easy and affordable way to build a collection of cool and distinctive glasses. Eye-catching indeed!

Original review: April 6, 2019

ZENNI is the only place my wife and I have purchased our eyeglasses for over 10 years now. ZENNI has always been spot on as far as the prescription is concerned. A couple of areas where I think they could improve are offering more frames in a gold finish and allowing the selection of temple length. ZENNI has a "ONE TEMPLE LENGTH FITS ALL" policy which in my experience is troublesome. It is, after all, a properly fit temple length that keeps your glasses from sliding down your nose. Also, I could not choose the lens shape on the last pair of frame-less specs I ordered last month, which I consider another downfall. Other than that, I believe ZENNI does a great job for a reasonable price.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your review, which praises the way we put the prescription in eyeglasses for you and your wife but expresses a desire for more gold frames and displays some confusion about our frames’ temple lengths. You are a valued, longtime customer, and we want you to know that we are sorry for any confusion you experienced about our frames’ dimensions. We apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result of these matters, and we welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We forwarded your comment about frames in gold to our Merchandising team, so that they know of your desire for more gold frames. We want to mention that you may shop for frames by color, one of which is gold, and we apologize again if you already know how to do this. Regarding our temple lengths, we were surprised by your comment, because we absolutely do not have a “one temple length fits all” policy. Just as we do with each frame’s frame width, bridge, lens width and height, and frame weight, we list each frame’s specific temple arm length under the Specifications category, under the enlarged picture of every frame. For example, on your March 10, 2019, order, you selected frame 348112, which has a temple arm length of 143 millimeters. We also want to mention that we recommend that customers select frames with temple lengths within 3-4 mm of the temple arm length of a frame that fits them well. Frames that are stainless steel, or are made of mixed materials but have stainless steel temple arms, such as 348112, or are acetate but have stainless steel rods embedded in the temple arm (you can see this clearly on the inside of the temple arm on an enlarged picture of an acetate frame), can be adjusted. You can bend the temple tip (the part that follows the bend near where the temple arm rests over your ear) up or down to improve the fit. In addition, since you mention that you were unable to choose the lens shape for 348112, which is a rimless frame, we want to clarify that, because this frame comes with magnetic sunshades that are cut to exactly fit the prescription lenses, we do not offer customers the choice of a lens shape on this rimless frame, nor on other rimless frames that come with magnetic sunshades. As you may have seen under the frame’s SPECIFICATIONS, the lens width is 51 mm, and the lens height is 30 mm. We hope that these measurements are suitable, and that if the temple arm is too short or too long, you can adjust the temple arm to improve the fit. We hope that this information is helpful. In addition, as another measure of apology for these matters, as well as a token of our gratitude for your business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I've ordered several pairs of glasses from Zenni Optical and both the cost and quality have been good. However, if you find something you like and you have to go back to try to find it, it is hard to locate since everything is by number. The shipping also usually takes a couple of weeks and I wish it was faster. Even so, I would recommend Zenni Optical.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your comments about your experience ordering glasses from Zenni Optical. Of course, we are pleased that you appreciate the low prices and high quality of our glasses. However, we were sorry to learn that you are having difficulty locating frames you previously saw on our website and liked, and that you would like faster shipping. Therefore, we would like to provide some information we hope will be helpful. When you are perusing frames on our website, and you are in your Zenni Optical account, if you see one you like, you may save it to your Favorites. The way to do this, is hover your cursor over the initial picture of the frame (not the enlarged picture you see when you click on the smaller picture, but the smaller picture itself), and look for the little heart in the upper right-hand corner of the picture. The heart will turn from white with a blue outline to blue, confirming that the frame has been added to your favorites. When you are in your account, on the left-hand column, under PERSONALIZATION, you will see My Favorites. If you change your mind, click on the blue heart, and the frame will be removed from your favorites. Regarding the shipping times, we reviewed your most recent orders to see how long it took for them to be delivered. Your most recent order, placed Dec. 12, 2018, was delivered Dec. 19, seven days after the order was placed. You ordered Priority shipping on this order, which comes with a delivery time promise of 10-14 days. Your immediately previous order, placed Sept. 20, 2017, and ordered with Express shipping, was delivered Sept. 27, seven days after the order was placed. Express shipping comes with a delivery time promise of seven-10 days. Your most recent order prior to that, placed Jan. 9, 2019, was shipped Jan. 17, eight days after the order was placed. The U.S. Postal Service website does not provide delivery information about orders that far in the past, but these glasses were ordered with Priority shipping, and we are confident that they were delivered to you no later than 10-14 days after the order date. In addition, we want to confirm that if any Zenni Optical order is not delivered within the promised delivery time, if you contact us to advise of this, we will refund the shipping fee to your source of payment. We hope this information is helpful. In addition, out of gratitude for your favorable review, and appreciation of our longtime business relationship, we are emailing you an item we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The cost of glasses at my eye doctor's was ridiculous, so even though I was skeptical, I signed up with Zenni. I talked to my eye doctor and she said I should bring her the glasses when I get them so she could take a look at them. I was purchasing for my child also. It is one thing for me to get the glasses, have a headache then try and figure out what's wrong, but it is a whole other thing to put glasses on my child that my eye doctor hasn’t seen. So, we ordered a pair for each of us and took them in, and my doctor said that they looked fine. We started wearing them and we've continued.

The entire family wears them now. I always have the glasses checked, just in case there's an issue but there never has been. We usually order about five pairs a time at least once a year. Then if we damage or lose them we wind up ordering more, and Zenni has come through for us. I always keep spares but there was a time when we flipped the canoe and everybody lost their glasses. Zenni went above and beyond, and got the glasses to us right away. They took time but we were out of town and we were getting ready to leave to go out of town and they were able to ship to a different address. They expedited them but didn’t charge us to do that.

We also liked that we can upload our pictures and try the glasses on - that's how we pick our style. There are a few frames that we know are our fail-safe that we always go back to. We've actually run into them discontinuing one, but we got on and looked at similar stuff, and we figured it out. I have ordered one pair that once I got them, I didn’t care for them. They worked fine but they didn’t fit my face as well as I thought they would. I thought if I contacted Zenni, I probably could return them but I decided I'd just stick them in the drawer, then if what I'm wearing breaks, I'll at least have a fallback. Now, I just got a new pair to go with a specific dress that I ordered. I have an upcharge for my actual prescription, but the glasses were still inexpensive enough that I bought a pair to go with a dress that I don’t even have an occasion to wear.

And so, I tell people about Zenni all the time. Our glasses come with lots of different things like a measuring tool to measure one’s pupillary distance as well as a wiping cloth, and when I tell people where we get our glasses, I just give them one of those items because the name's on it. And then, I just realized the other day, I have given away every wiping cloth that I have.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

The day my glasses arrived there was a an issue. I assumed the return process would be simple, granted I had a reasonable issue with my frames. When I reached out to customer service for my "RA" form, the customer service representative let me know returns were not in full. They said I could do 100% store credit or 50% refund. People need to know that Zenni optical is a hoax. They want to be user-friendly and steal your money at the same time. Will never buy again, and will actively work to educate future consumers of the wrongdoing by Zenni optical.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of our return policy. We were sorry to read that you object to this policy, and we apologize for any dissatisfaction you experienced as a result. In addition, we would like to provide some information we hope will be helpful. If a customer complains that there is an issue with the glasses that indicates a problem with the way we manufactured them – whether it is an issue with the prescription or the frame – we will invite customers to return the glasses to us for an inspection of the glasses when the customer confirms that they entered the prescription and pupillary distance (PD) correctly, or if it is an issue with the frame, to take a picture of the defect and email it to us, so we can determine whether we made the glasses incorrectly in any respect. If our inspection of the glasses or our scrutiny of the picture shows that we made the glasses incorrectly, we can remake them for you for free. However, when a customer advises that the issue is with the size or the shape of the frame – neither of which would indicate that we made the glasses incorrectly, simply that the customer is not pleased with the frame – we will offer a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses in the form of store credit to the customer’s account or a 50 percent refund of the price of the glasses to the source of payment upon the return of the glasses. We were sorry to read that you find these refund options unacceptable, especially since they are typical refund options provided by both online and brick-and-mortar retailers, particularly since eyeglasses are custom-made medical products that cannot be reused. Moreover, insofar as you advised to our representative that the round shape of the lenses did not work for your face, we would like to advise of an infographic that can be found on our website, toward the middle of the bottom of every Zenni Optical page, which is useful for customers when they are selecting frames: Best Eyeglasses For Your Face Shape: https://www.zennioptical.com/best-eyeglasses-for-your-face-shape. This infographic describes people’s various face shapes and recommends the frame style that is most flattering to each face shape. In addition, if the size of the glasses also was an issue, the infographic just below the Face Shape infographic is How to Measure Your Frame Size: https://www.zennioptical.com/measure-eyeglass-frame-size-how-to. This infographic explains how to measure an eyeglasses frame you have that fits you well and looks good on your face, so you can determine the dimensions you need for a frame you select from the Zenni Optical website to fit you well. It does not have to be an exact match. You have a 2-millimeter leeway on each element of an eyeglasses frame, with a 3-4 mm leeway on the temple arms (the part that goes behind your ear). Since this was your first order with Zenni Optical, we hope that you will continue to be a Zenni Optical customer and use these infographics to finds frames that will fit you well and look good with your face shape. As an additional measure of apology for your dissatisfaction regarding our refund policy, as well as a gesture of appreciation for your business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I ordered two pairs of glasses from Zenni, and I paid extra for fast shipping. The glasses were nice, and I loved those! The prescription was WAY off, I took the glasses to my eye doctor and they examined the glasses and the workers couldn't believe how off the glasses were to my prescription! I called Zenni to express my anger towards this, and let them know that I needed the glasses in a timely manner because I'm traveling Europe! They sent me a tracking label, and told me to give them 10 days to inspect the glasses and they would get back to me. If you're in a rush and needing glasses quick, I wouldn't recommend Zenni!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

Unfortunately, I have had a terrible customer service experience Zenni Optical. I ordered 2 pairs of glasses, 1 progressive, 1 single vision. The single vision seem okay, but the progressives were way off. I sent back the progressives asking them to remake them. I have been going back and forth for weeks trying to tell them the issue, and EVERY SINGLE TIME they come back to me having read my email incorrectly, or sending back the wrong information. Seriously, folks, it should not take 6 emails to get the info right.

Now, they HAVE FINALLY concluded, after weeks and weeks of this back and forth that the glasses are defective, but they are saying that I sent them back the single vision, which I DID NOT! I have the single vision. I need them to see. Now they want me to send back the single vision to prove that I am right before they make me a pair of progressives (which I PAID FOR!), which means that I will be without glasses until I get one or the other or both of the glasses I ORDERED WEEKS AGO back. This is extremely frustrating. Extremely. Cheaper is not worth it if you don't get glasses that you can actually wear because they made them wrong.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of your experience regarding your order that contained one pair of progressive glasses and one pair of single vision distance glasses. As a result of the confusion that occurred regarding the prescription type of the two pairs of glasses on this order, particularly that of the pair of glasses you returned to us, we are making a customer service exception to remake the order for you. We created this new order yesterday, November 4, 2019, and our lab is remaking these two pairs of glasses for you now. We hope that when you receive these two new remade pairs of glasses you will be happy with them, and that this will resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

They use a generic formula for the segment height which isn't right for many people. After returning blurry glasses 3 times and getting all my measurements verified by a local optician and even after the customer service rep said to add all the measurements I needed to my order did they finally say that they don't or won't adjust the segment height. So through no fault of my own I only get a 50% refund or blurry glasses---BE WARNED.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the progressive glasses you received from us. We are sorry that you are dissatisfied with our standard placement of the beginning of the progressive reading corridor at 5 millimeters above the center line of the lenses. Consequently, we apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. We see that the remake of these glasses was delivered to you on Friday, November 1, 2019. We hope that you are pleased with these glasses. However, if you are unhappy with the placement of this segment height, please telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. When you call, please advise the customer service representative of the order number or the email address that is your Zenni Optical username. If the wait to speak with a customer service representative is lengthy, you may have an online Chat with us. The Chat feature is found on the lower right-hand corner of every Zenni Optical page. You may also email us, at service@zennioptical.com, and if you choose this method, please put your order number in the subject line of the email. If you want to return these glasses, we will be happy to make an exception to issue a 100 percent store credit refund of the price of the glasses, $123.90, to your Zenni Optical account, even though most of this order was paid for with store credit. We hope that this will resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I have been ordering from Zenni for a few years now, and the selection just continues to improve. The prices are amazing, and the quality is great. I can now have a pair of glasses to match every outfit, usually for around $20. Still looking for a good orange!

Zenni Optical expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2003, Zenni Optical is dedicated to providing high quality prescription eyewear at the lowest possible price. As a solely online business located in the San Francisco Bay area, Zenni Optical offers more than 6,000 frames, all manufactured at their 248,000 square foot facility.

• Glasses for less: With prices that are less than the average cost of lunch, Zenni Optical has a range of glasses that could almost be considered disposable.

• Reasonable delivery times: Typical orders are delivered within two weeks in the U.S., making the wait longer than same day service, but still reasonable.

• Buying guides: Get the right glasses and all the information needed to make an informed selection using the Zenni Optical buying guides.

• Lots of options: With thousands of different frames and lots of customization options available, Zenni Optical has a pair of eyewear for almost anyone.

• Sports wear: In addition to glasses and sunglasses, they also offer goggles and other prescription sports wear.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs