ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.25/5
Based on 1,175 ratings submitted in the last year

Founded in 2003 by two scientists, Zenni Optical has grown from a small, local San Francisco company to one of the largest online optical retailers. Their mission is to provide affordable eyewear, and offer a wide selection from prescription eyeglasses to custom goggles. Their manufacturing process uses the most current materials and ship directly from their factory, cutting out the middleman. Zenni's catalog lists over 6,000 frames and is manufactured in their 248,000 square-foot facility and is passed through a rigorous quality control inspection before being shipped to you. Visit their website today to find the perfect pair for you!

Zenni Optical Gallery (3)
View More View More

Zenni Optical Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I have been using Zenni for 6, 7 or more years now - I honestly forget - and must say having freedom from Australia's price-gouging opticians is a God-send. A "discount" pair of glasses here, with basic lenses and a single oleophobic coating will set you back a *minimum* of $200; "$99" if you believe the hype, but to get that price you have to buy 2. *giggle*, fun, isn't it. Every time I walk past an optician's in my city, I just shake my head at their nonsense pricing, and walk on.

I took a chance on Zenni way back when the website was very plain, and the prices matched - I think I struggled to find a pair over $30 way back then. It was so long ago that when they migrated their website from the original to the current, my first order didn't make the cut and got left behind. :) And since, I've ordered every 18 months to two years - 4 or 5 pairs at a time. I figure at Zenni's prices, I don't care if I sit or stand on a pair or two. There's always one in the car, another in the kitchen, lounge, bedroom, bathroom - it's almost a plague. It's great!

Out of all the pairs I've had, only one had an issue - a mis-set lens on one side of an acetate frame. To be honest, I never bothered complaining, returning or even enquiring; I just wore them around the house when cleaning or outdoors mowing the lawn rather than taking them out in public. For $9.95, it really didn't seem worth the hassle to either myself or Zenni.

I'm building up to my bi-annual spend-a-thon, and per my tradition, I'll be trying new and more interesting things. I'm getting older, so I'm going to invest in some bifocals and one each of their range of progressive lenses, so I can settle on my favourite before making that my default order, rather than my current single visions. At Zenni's prices and with my personal experience of their quality over so many years, I'm happy to have a relationship with a company which prices such a luxury within my reach. I might even lash out and try something super-cool like a pair of prescription sunnies with standard progressives - so the reading window is clear of tint. Then I'll just need to find the tour bus to sit on while I gaze out the window with the top half and skim over the route notes with the bottom...that's what I call luxury.

Delivery times for single vision lenses has always been great to Australia. They've often reached me well within the 10 day window; far faster than items coming in from other areas of Asia which didn't require the personal handling of prescription eyewear. And the single-rate delivery charge is a blessing - I can't even send a parcel of comparable size anywhere in Australia for the price Zenni charge for delivery from overseas. Fabulous stuff.

Cheers, Zenni, from down under. My ONLY request would be if you could please include a few business cards in each order - you don't know how many microfibre cloths I've given away over the years as "references", so my friends and acquaintances don't forget your name before they get home to look you up online :)

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your very gratifying review of your experience ordering glasses from Zenni. We were delighted to read that you find our prices beat those of the optical retailers you have encountered in Australia, and we are heartened to know that our low prices enable you to keep pairs of Zenni glasses in your car and in many locations in your home. As a gesture of our gratitude for your business and our appreciation of your kind remarks, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Get expert buying tips about Glasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

At Zenni, I wish it would be easier to understand what their sizing is. Their site is great at teaching me what the blockers mean and why I should get them in my glasses. It also shows me what looks good on each face. However, they don't do a great job telling me what sizes I shouldn't get. I have a small size and I should be in the children's section.

There was one time when I realized that Zenni had put in the wrong prescription for my glasses which was totally my error. Their reps were very helpful but then I wish they would've been clearer on getting the refund as opposed to saying that it would go to my Zenni account. To me, that wasn't very clear so I went ahead and ordered the glasses. The next day, I got $48 in my Zenni account when I thought that was going into my bank account. Still, that wasn't a huge problem as their glasses are cheap enough. Other than this misunderstanding, Zenni has been super great.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the information presented on our website, as well as our refund policy. We are pleased that you had some favorable things to say about Zenni, as well as some critical comments about other aspects of your interactions with us, and we are happy to respond to your concerns. Regarding the size of our frames, we want to advise that under the enlarged picture of every frame on our website, we show the dimensions of each frame element, in millimeters. The frame from your first order, placed in May 2018, is model 109325, a full-rim, acetate tortoiseshell frame. The frame width, the most important measurement that will determine whether the frame will fit you well, is 140 mm, which we consider a large frame. We see no notes in the database record of this order indicating that you had an issue with this frame. Your second order, placed in November 2019, which you contacted us to cancel because an incorrect prescription was entered, has frame 206815, a round, flexible plastic ombre frame, brown on top, clear on the bottom. The frame width is 139 mm, close to that of the first frame you ordered. You again selected this frame on your December 2019 order. We are sorry if a frame width of 139 mm is too wide to fit you well. In addition to disclosing the dimensions of our frames on our website, we also have an infographic, found toward the middle of the bottom of every page on our website, explaining how to measure a pair of eyeglasses that you have now that fits you well, so that you may order a frame with similar dimensions. It is our How to Measure Your Frame Size infographic: https://www.zennioptical.com/measure-eyeglass-frame-size-how-to. We hope that you find this infographic useful. Since you mention that you were unaware you would receive store credit for the order you canceled, we want to clarify that if a customer cancels an order within the first 24 hours after the order has been placed, we can fully refund the amount of the purchase to the credit card or other source of payment that was used. However, if a request to cancel an order is made after 24 hours have elapsed but before the glasses are mailed to the customer, we can offer a full refund, including the shipping fee, in the form of store credit to the customer’s Zenni Optical account, which we issued to your account on December 2, 2019. We are sorry if we did not clarify this when you had an online chat with us on December 2, 2019, more than 24 hours after the order had been placed, and after we had manufactured the glasses, but before they left our lab. Therefore, we apologize for any dismay you experienced regarding this matter. In addition, as another measure of apology for this matter and the issue you experienced with the size of the frames you received, as well as a gesture of gratitude for your business and your complimentary remarks, we are emailing you an item that we hope you will use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

For the past 15 years, my experience with optometrists has been a less than stellar experience. The last two times, I've had to return to have my eyes reexamined to obtain the correct prescription however, the worst part was working with their staff to measure my pupil distance (PD). In both cases the PD was incorrectly measured, which is a significant issue for progressive lenses. Since my prescription was still fine, I decided to try an online site for my next pair of glasses. After much research, I chose Zenni, which was one of the most highly rated.

Once on their site, I began with frame selection by looking at the frames that were recommended for progressive lenses and was pleased to find that there were several to choose from. My face is round, so I look best in rectangular frames, which narrowed the options, but there were still several to choose from. I uploaded a selfie, which was a simple process, and tried them all on. I selected the Titanium frame in brown, since I have a ruddy complexion. As mentioned previously, the PD is one of the most important measurements for progressive lenses, so I downloaded and printed the measuring tool, and put a credit card on the sheet to ensure the scale was correct, which it was.

My last measurement from the Optometrist was 70.0 mm, evenly distributed between right and left eye (35 mm each side); however, I me measured 68.5 mm in the mirror, so I asked my wife to take a measurement and she also measured 68.5 mm. We then put a dot on my forehead exactly in the center of the bridge of my nose and measured the distance to each pupil; 35 mm Right eye, 33.5 mm Left eye. The question that ran through my mind was, which measurement was was correct; the optometrist used a high-tech PD machine and I used a paper ruler. What I was sure of was that my current glasses had a problem, because I had to adjust my frame so far right that the frame was touching the left side of my nose--looked very strange! Next step was to enter the prescription and the Dual PD, place the order and hope for the best, knowing that Zenni would work with me to get it right if the glasses were not satisfactory, per their guarantee.

I opted for standard shipping and received the glasses in less than the stated time. Upon receipt, I put the glasses on and to my utmost surprise the frames fit perfectly, were very light, and the progressive lenses worked as prescribed--corrective vision at its best. I ordered the 1.67 Blokz Digital Free Form Progressive lenses and have seamless progression from reading to distance vision. In the past, there were always gaps at some distance, which caused me to physically move to see what I needed to see. I am very satisfied with my Zennis and highly recommend them. I followed the intuitive Zenni directions and came out on the winning side of the eyeglass debacle--no need to spend four times more than you need to; trust the process and you'll be very satisfied. All the best!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I am very happy with the product in several keys areas. First off- the affordability of glasses from Zenni is hard to match. One unspoken requirement of my career and profession is to visually stand out from the crowd. I have always wanted to make cool eye-wear part of that beyond just some hip shades. Vision care through insurance providers being what it is, I could not afford more than one pair of glasses per year, and the idea of purchasing some really eye-catching specs seemed too frivolous to consider while my wife and I raise two children. This yearly rationing of spectacles had also nearly rendered prescription sunglasses to the realm of fantasy.

Now I can easily purchase several pair at once, including sunglasses, in a huge variety of colors and styles. I feel like I can get some glasses for special occasions or even to match or contrast items from my wardrobe. So far I have only ordered plastic/acrylic frames, and they feel and fit as good as any expensive brand-name I have owned over 3 decades.

The prescription was perfect. They offer different lense-thicknesses so get the the thinnest ones you can for free like I did, or splash down for the thinnest they offer at an up-charge. Certain frames can look better with really thin lenses, and I will pay the extra cost if I need to. With Zenni frames starting at $7 getting exactly what you want is still incredibly affordable. I can also say I like the Vegan Leather case. I have one in a light brown. The inner part is soft, the reinforced sides seem sturdy, and the outer surface feels nice to the touch. I like sleekness of the closure feature as well- it may fail over time, but at a cost of only $5, a replacement is easy to procure.

My wife discovered Zenni, and was happy with her first purchase. I have ordered three times through the easy-to-understand/navigate website (even via the mobile version) and although I have had issues with order-confirmation/updates that seem like an easy IT fix, we are both quite pleased with the styles and quality on offer. I was impressed with the selection of tint and gradient, and I like the custom personalized-engraving options as well. They have several levels of shipping, so for an extra cost you can have them in a week’s time.

Again, the affordability of the glasses mitigates the shipping costs if you need them fast. They also save your orders so re-ordering a particular pair would be a breeze. We will certainly order again for ourselves, and will likely order a few pair for teenage son as well. Overall, it’s an easy and affordable way to build a collection of cool and distinctive glasses. Eye-catching indeed!

Original review: April 6, 2019

ZENNI is the only place my wife and I have purchased our eyeglasses for over 10 years now. ZENNI has always been spot on as far as the prescription is concerned. A couple of areas where I think they could improve are offering more frames in a gold finish and allowing the selection of temple length. ZENNI has a "ONE TEMPLE LENGTH FITS ALL" policy which in my experience is troublesome. It is, after all, a properly fit temple length that keeps your glasses from sliding down your nose. Also, I could not choose the lens shape on the last pair of frame-less specs I ordered last month, which I consider another downfall. Other than that, I believe ZENNI does a great job for a reasonable price.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your review, which praises the way we put the prescription in eyeglasses for you and your wife but expresses a desire for more gold frames and displays some confusion about our frames’ temple lengths. You are a valued, longtime customer, and we want you to know that we are sorry for any confusion you experienced about our frames’ dimensions. We apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result of these matters, and we welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We forwarded your comment about frames in gold to our Merchandising team, so that they know of your desire for more gold frames. We want to mention that you may shop for frames by color, one of which is gold, and we apologize again if you already know how to do this. Regarding our temple lengths, we were surprised by your comment, because we absolutely do not have a “one temple length fits all” policy. Just as we do with each frame’s frame width, bridge, lens width and height, and frame weight, we list each frame’s specific temple arm length under the Specifications category, under the enlarged picture of every frame. For example, on your March 10, 2019, order, you selected frame 348112, which has a temple arm length of 143 millimeters. We also want to mention that we recommend that customers select frames with temple lengths within 3-4 mm of the temple arm length of a frame that fits them well. Frames that are stainless steel, or are made of mixed materials but have stainless steel temple arms, such as 348112, or are acetate but have stainless steel rods embedded in the temple arm (you can see this clearly on the inside of the temple arm on an enlarged picture of an acetate frame), can be adjusted. You can bend the temple tip (the part that follows the bend near where the temple arm rests over your ear) up or down to improve the fit. In addition, since you mention that you were unable to choose the lens shape for 348112, which is a rimless frame, we want to clarify that, because this frame comes with magnetic sunshades that are cut to exactly fit the prescription lenses, we do not offer customers the choice of a lens shape on this rimless frame, nor on other rimless frames that come with magnetic sunshades. As you may have seen under the frame’s SPECIFICATIONS, the lens width is 51 mm, and the lens height is 30 mm. We hope that these measurements are suitable, and that if the temple arm is too short or too long, you can adjust the temple arm to improve the fit. We hope that this information is helpful. In addition, as another measure of apology for these matters, as well as a token of our gratitude for your business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I read a lot of reviews of various online eyeglass retailers and decided to go with ZenniOptical.com. When ordering online I was careful to enter my prescription precisely, even asking the online chat/bot some questions I had and placed my order for one pair of glasses. My total was about $160.00. A couple of weeks go by and I thought I would contact them to check the status of my order.

First I was told these are made in China. I had no idea. Then they said due to the Coronavirus situation there, shipping has been delayed. That's fine. Things happen, but you know what didn't happen? Them contacting me to tell me my order would be delayed, particularly due to a pathogenic virus. Good grief. 3 weeks and 1 day after I order, I receive the one pair of glasses I ordered. Seem o.k. and good enough quality, but once I put them on it all went bad; near, mid and distance was off, everything was blurry.

I immediately get online with zennioptical.com customer service and chat with Marinel one of their customer service reps. She was nice and confirmed I had entered my prescription correctly. She said she could issue a RMA for a return, they would inspect the glasses and remake if necessary at no charge. When I asked for a full refund she said the best they could do is issue a RMA# for a return and a 50% refund, 50%? Seriously?

When I complained that's unacceptable and I'm not prepared to wait another 3 weeks or more on a pair of glasses that still might not work she said the only way for a full refund is to still return them so they can inspect them. That seemed like a 2nd or 3rd tier call center response when they should have offered that first considering my complaint, wait time and poor optical manufacturing quality.

Like most call centers, they have pre-prescribed answers for just about any question or concern a customer may have. However, when your first standard answer for a full refund on something that didn't work and took weeks to deliver is only a 50% refund, well, that's insulting. So, I've shipped them back to China (they did pay for the return shipping), but I have little faith they will do the right thing and offer a full refund. I will revise and update this review based on their response.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the shipping time of your glasses, and your vision through the lenses when you received the glasses. We were sorry to learn that you are unhappy with the glasses, and that the mandatory business closures in China caused a delivery delay three days past the 14-21-day delivery-time promise for Standard shipping. Although we posted on our website at checkout that, as a result of the business closures, Standard shipping delivery would be extended up to 28 days, we are sorry that it took 24 days for you to receive your glasses, and we are going to refund your $4.95 Standard shipping fee to your PayPal account as a gesture of apology for this delay. In addition, we perused the log of the chat you had with our customer service representative, but we do not see that they mentioned that the prescription type you selected was Near-Range Workspace Progressives, which provides good near vision, particularly when you are looking at a computer screen six to 24 inches away, but offers limited mid-range vision and no distance vision. There was a note that we mentioned this to you in a telephone call, but we do not see the recording of the call to determine whether this was mentioned. When we receive the glasses back from you, we will inspect them and email you the inspection results. As we advised, if our inspection finds that we made these glasses incorrectly, we can remake them for you for free or, as you requested, offer you a full refund of what you spent on the glasses, insofar as we will have already refunded the shipping fee. If our inspection finds that we made the glasses correctly, we can return them to you or, as we advised, offer you a 100 percent refund of the price of the glasses in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account. We trust that these measures will resolve these matters to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I received my order for photochromic eyeglasses faster than I expected. However, the frame is flimsy and a bit too small for any adult — though advertised as a medium size frame. I selected it — so, it is my fault. I wish I selected a slightly bigger frame. Zenni's Customer Service Reps were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The price I paid for a pair of photochromic lenses was much cheaper than in any American store. Fully worth the price I paid. I have used it only a few times since I received it, and hope it would last for a while. I strongly recommend Zenni Optical for your eyeglasses.

Somar in Stamford CT

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I ordered my glasses around the start of January. Why are they taking so long to get here? I get they were on backorder but it’s been like that for a month now. UNACCEPTABLE! I get the frames are popular but nobody should have to wait a month to get one pair of glasses.

Zenni Optical response

Hi, thank you for posting your Zenni review of the time it has taken for you to receive your order. We are sorry for any disappointment you experienced as a result of this matter, and we apologize for the dismay you have experienced. Based on the name, telephone number, and email address you included in your Consumer Affairs post, we found no orders. We looked up your last name and Zip Code, and we did find these items connected to an order placed on February 3, 2020, but the first name, telephone number, and email address are different from the ones you provided. If this person is you, we want to confirm that the delivery-time promise with Standard shipping, which is the delivery method selected for this order, is 14-21 days. Therefore, this order will not be late unless you have not yet received it by February 24, 2020. However, if this is not your order, we invite you to telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, and anyone who answers will be eager to assist you. Please have the order number handy when you call, so the customer service representative can assist you with the status of this order. If the wait to speak with a customer service representative is lengthy, you may have an online chat with us by clicking the Support button found toward the lower right-hand side of every Zenni Optical page, or emailing us, at service@zennioptical.com, putting your order number in the subject line of the email. We trust that providing this information will enable us to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I’m on my third pair of glasses from Zenni for my daughter who has astigmatisms. Target, Visionworks and Pearle Vision quoted me $180+ for her glasses until a friend told me about Zenni. I ordered two pairs on Zenni for less than $60!! The prices are by far the lowest you will find online and the quality is comparable to most vision places. Just recently Zenni was a few weeks late mailing my latest pair out due to some mandatory factory closures in China so they shipped them FedEx two days - for FREE - and sent me a coupon for 25% off my next order and free shipping!! I didn’t even ask for expedited shipping so the coupons and expedited delivery more than made up for them being two weeks late. I highly recommend Zenni for your optical needs!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

Site is user friendly. I was able to view the videos and follow the directions very easily. The glasses are of high quality, and you can't beat the prices! My husband and I LOVE our glasses, and we've received so many compliments.

Zenni Optical expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2003, Zenni Optical is dedicated to providing high quality prescription eyewear at the lowest possible price. As a solely online business located in the San Francisco Bay area, Zenni Optical offers more than 6,000 frames, all manufactured at their 248,000 square foot facility.

• Glasses for less: With prices that are less than the average cost of lunch, Zenni Optical has a range of glasses that could almost be considered disposable.

• Reasonable delivery times: Typical orders are delivered within two weeks in the U.S., making the wait longer than same day service, but still reasonable.

• Buying guides: Get the right glasses and all the information needed to make an informed selection using the Zenni Optical buying guides.

• Lots of options: With thousands of different frames and lots of customization options available, Zenni Optical has a pair of eyewear for almost anyone.

• Sports wear: In addition to glasses and sunglasses, they also offer goggles and other prescription sports wear.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Professionals.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team