It's that easy Request Information
4.16/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2003 by two scientists, Zenni Optical has grown from a small, local San Francisco company to one of the largest online optical retailers. Their mission is to provide affordable eyewear, and offer a wide selection from prescription eyeglasses to custom goggles. Their manufacturing process uses the most current materials and ship directly from their factory, cutting out the middleman. Zenni's catalog lists over 6,000 frames and is manufactured in their 248,000 square-foot facility and is passed through a rigorous quality control inspection before being shipped to you. Visit their website today to find the perfect pair for you!

Zenni Optical Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1983 Zenni Optical Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: April 6, 2019

ZENNI is the only place my wife and I have purchased our eyeglasses for over 10 years now. ZENNI has always been spot on as far as the prescription is concerned. A couple of areas where I think they could improve are offering more frames in a gold finish and allowing the selection of temple length. ZENNI has a "ONE TEMPLE LENGTH FITS ALL" policy which in my experience is troublesome. It is, after all, a properly fit temple length that keeps your glasses from sliding down your nose. Also, I could not choose the lens shape on the last pair of frame-less specs I ordered last month, which I consider another downfall. Other than that, I believe ZENNI does a great job for a reasonable price.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your review, which praises the way we put the prescription in eyeglasses for you and your wife but expresses a desire for more gold frames and displays some confusion about our frames’ temple lengths. You are a valued, longtime customer, and we want you to know that we are sorry for any confusion you experienced about our frames’ dimensions. We apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result of these matters, and we welcome the opportunity to respond to your concerns. We forwarded your comment about frames in gold to our Merchandising team, so that they know of your desire for more gold frames. We want to mention that you may shop for frames by color, one of which is gold, and we apologize again if you already know how to do this. Regarding our temple lengths, we were surprised by your comment, because we absolutely do not have a “one temple length fits all” policy. Just as we do with each frame’s frame width, bridge, lens width and height, and frame weight, we list each frame’s specific temple arm length under the Specifications category, under the enlarged picture of every frame. For example, on your March 10, 2019, order, you selected frame 348112, which has a temple arm length of 143 millimeters. We also want to mention that we recommend that customers select frames with temple lengths within 3-4 mm of the temple arm length of a frame that fits them well. Frames that are stainless steel, or are made of mixed materials but have stainless steel temple arms, such as 348112, or are acetate but have stainless steel rods embedded in the temple arm (you can see this clearly on the inside of the temple arm on an enlarged picture of an acetate frame), can be adjusted. You can bend the temple tip (the part that follows the bend near where the temple arm rests over your ear) up or down to improve the fit. In addition, since you mention that you were unable to choose the lens shape for 348112, which is a rimless frame, we want to clarify that, because this frame comes with magnetic sunshades that are cut to exactly fit the prescription lenses, we do not offer customers the choice of a lens shape on this rimless frame, nor on other rimless frames that come with magnetic sunshades. As you may have seen under the frame’s SPECIFICATIONS, the lens width is 51 mm, and the lens height is 30 mm. We hope that these measurements are suitable, and that if the temple arm is too short or too long, you can adjust the temple arm to improve the fit. We hope that this information is helpful. In addition, as another measure of apology for these matters, as well as a token of our gratitude for your business, we are emailing you an item that we hope you use on your next order with Zenni Optical.

Get expert buying tips about Glasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I’m happy with Zenni Optical and I always get my lenses through them. My daughter has been trying to get me to buy glasses online for the longest time, and she finally convinced her old mom. I don’t have vision insurance, so for me to purchase bifocals, progressive lenses are extremely expensive. I'm very happy with my decision buying from Zenni. Before I ordered my glasses from Zenni, I wanted to make sure that they were returnable if I didn’t like them or they didn’t fit right and the rep said they were. I’m glad that our interaction was on Pacific time ‘cause I’m in the Pacific time zone. My first pair with a discount was about $130. It was the most expensive Zenni has and it's the titanium. Afterward, I got plastic frames and they were only $9.99. But I get so many compliments on that one. The second pair of glasses was in the $80 range.

However, when I got my progressive lenses, I didn’t know which ones to get. I went with the one that says “Recommended.” I have the progressive bifocals, and there were at least between five and seven different choices. Unless I had a doctor by my side, I wouldn’t know which ones to get. I also didn’t know what was better about the ones that were more expensive as compared to the ones that were less expensive. So, I just went with the recommended one. So I was wondering if there is any way Zenni could, in the future, put some sort of a description of what the lenses are. Another thing was that it takes a long time to get my glasses. It was normally three weeks, with both of them. I haven't bought any glasses in a while before I got the Zenni, but I could’ve sworn it was only two weeks at the normal doctor’s office when I got them.

But other than that, I love Zenni Optical. I’m an Aflac rep, and we have vision insurance. And when people see that we only pay $80 to $170, I tell them all about Zenni and tell them how they’re very affordable. But I also tell people not to buy Zenni's products right away. They should sign up, receive an email, and they would get a 10% or 20% discount.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your very gratifying comments about your Zenni Optical glasses on the Consumer Affairs website. We are delighted to know that you are happy with the glasses you have gotten from us. Because in your review you mention some aspects about ordering of which you are unaware, we would like to clarify how and where we describe the various progressive lenses we offer. You mention that, when you entered your prescription and were faced with numerous progressive lens choices, you hoped there would be more detailed information about each lens, which would enable you to make a more informed choice. Of course, we are sorry for any dismay you experienced regarding this matter. In addition, we would like to provide some information we hope will be helpful. First, we want to advise that in the intervening months since you placed your most recent order, approximately one year ago, we have expanded our progressive lens-type choices beyond the standard progressives that you ordered with the blue-blocking lenses. Now, once you select “progressive” as your lens type, you will see that, after Standard Progressives, we also offer two types of Workspace Progressives: Mid-Range Workspace Progressives and Near-Range Workspace Progressives. We provide detailed information about each of these three progressive lens types under “Recommended usage.” Moreover, once you select one of these progressive lens types, when you confirm your prescription you will see that among the many progressive lenses we offer, one will be “Recommended.” To learn more about this lens, as well as all of the others, we invite you to click on the teal circle with the white question mark inside, which follows the name and brief description of each lens. These teal circles are “Tool Tips,” and they explain the properties of each lens in detail. We have Tool Tips on various places on the Zenni Optical website, and each time you click on this item you will see a popup window that provides more information about the subject. We hope that this information is helpful, and we also hope that the next time you have a question about an item on our website you will be able to obtain the further information you seek by clicking on a Tool Tip. Of course, we also want to invite you to telephone Zenni Optical Customer Service, at 1-800-211-2105, and the customer service representative who answers will be eager to answer any questions you may have. Since you mention the shipping times for your orders, we want to advise that we have three shipping options for U.S. orders: Standard shipping, which you selected on your first order with Zenni, placed Sept. 23, 2017. Standard shipping comes with a delivery-time promise of 14-21 days from the date the order was placed. These glasses were mailed on Oct. 12, 2017, the 19th day after the order was placed. If you received the glasses within two days after that, the delivery was within our promised delivery time frame. But if you received them past the 21st day, they were late. Unfortunately, the U.S. Postal Service does not retain delivery information past three months, so we have no way of knowing whether they were late. Nevertheless, we are going to assume they were, and we will ask our lab to refund the Standard shipping fee of $4.95 to your credit card. You should receive an email later tonight from our lab, which will be identified as coming from Zenni Service, confirming this $4.95 refund with a transaction number. Your subsequent order was placed with Priority Shipping, which cost $7.45 at the time of the order, Nov. 21, 2018. (It’s now $8.45.) This order left our office on Nov. 28, seven days from the date the order was placed. Because Priority shipping comes with a delivery-time promise of 10-14 days from the date of the order, we believe that, based on the date the glasses left our office in Northern California, you would have gotten them well within the Priority shipping delivery-time promise. We would like to mention our other shipping option, Express shipping, which comes with a delivery-time promise of seven-10 days. The glasses are delivered to a physical location by UPS, and this shipping method costs $18.95. We also hope this information is helpful. Finally, as a token of our gratitude for your gracious comments about your Zenni glasses, we are emailing you from the database record of your most recent order an item that we hope you will use on your next order from Zenni. Thank you again for posting your kind remarks. It is a privilege to serve your and your family’s eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

One of my former co-workers and friends told me that Zenni Optical has amazing glasses at a very reasonable price. My husband and I previously ordered six pairs of glasses from Zenni and this past week, I ordered two more. My husband barely started wearing glasses within the last two years, so Zenni has been the only prescription glasses he wears so far in his life. The original ones that we got him which we called Spongebob glasses because they looked like the glasses Spongebob wears when he’s jellyfish hunting was broken. Originally, we were just gonna try to reorder the frames ‘cause he still had the lenses. But then, they retired that particular frame so we ended up picking out a new pair of glasses for him that were similar to the original one because he really likes those.

Then the second one we had gotten him was a pair of sunglasses that were bluish-framed and another set of regular glasses that were a darker blue. He loves them and the fact that he’s branching out and not just getting black is amazing to me. He’s happy to experiment because it’s not too much money out of pocket to do it. When we got him the Spongebob glasses, we just went bare-bones minimum on the upgrades. The only thing that he didn’t like was that he was getting a glare from car headlights when he was driving at night. So, the next pair that we bought him, we did the upgrade to block out the blue light, which also helps with glare reduction. He said those were great and worked perfectly. But he ended up losing those, so we ordered him a new pair that has those same lens options and he’s super excited for them to come.

When it comes to shipping, Zenni's a little slower than I would like. They usually ship within about a week and a half so, we usually get them around the two and a half week mark. But they make the glasses from scratch. I've recommended Zenni to a ton of people and told them, depending on the lens upgrades they would get, they could get frames starting at 7$. They could walk away with a pair of glasses for about $10 since the glare reduction or scratch resistance on the lens is just a $4 upgrade.

The ones that my husband and I had just got were both about $40 each. I have astigmatism and so mine costs a little bit more on my lenses. I also suffer from migraines and so the fact that they block the blue light and reduce everything really helps me with my migraines. Also, I could either slip on the sunglasses clip or have the actual sunglasses and still function because I used to buy an oversized pair of sunglasses to pop on over my glasses, which is not very trendy or appealing at all to look at. And so, the fact that I’m able to look semi-deligent while not dying from migraine has been a lifesaver for me.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have bought five different pairs of glasses from Zenni - progressives and single vision lenses. It was too expensive to buy them from my optometrist. So, I looked for a less price. The first time I ordered however, I ordered with the wrong PD distance, and I needed to change them but they were already starting to be shipped. It was confrontational at first dealing with customer service about it. They told me that there’s nothing they can do. I said that I can’t use those glasses because they were wrong so I asked how am going to return them. We ended up canceling the order then they refunded me half of the cost. Then, I had to order the glasses again. I did not appreciate how the interaction started off but then they got helpful thereafter.

I've told people that it’s a good bargain. My Zenni glasses are better than the ones that I bought at my optometrist that were $250 after my insurance. With Zenni, I paid $70 for two pairs after my insurance and it was definitely worth the cost of it. I’ve had them for a year, and they’re still really good glasses. They also have the blue-light blockers. They have the wear and tear, and they’ve kept the longevity so I’m happy with that. I’ve had my daughter buying from a different online place, and we haven’t had a bit of luck with those. Overall, Zenni has done a good job.

Zenni Optical response

researched your orders, we saw that you contacted us to stop shipment of your first order of eyeglasses, because after placing the order you subsequently realized that you inadvertently entered an incorrect value for your pupillary distance (PD). We were sorry to read that when you first brought this matter to our attention, you felt that our customer service team’s response was confrontational, rather than gracious and committed to problem-solving. Consequently, we want to apologize for any dismay you experienced as a result. We were glad to read that afterwards, we did take a problem-solving approach: Although the glasses had been manufactured, they had not yet been shipped, so we were able to stop shipment of the order and issue a full refund of the amount you spent on the order in the form of store credit to your Zenni Optical account. You used this store credit to reorder your glasses with the correct PD on your next order, in November 2017, and we are happy to learn that you are satisfied with those glasses, and with the single-vision computer glasses you ordered in July of this year. However, as you mentioned over the telephone, seemingly permanent smudges have appeared on the lenses of the glasses from the November 2017 order, which may be a result of anti-reflective coating failure. As we confirmed in our phone conversation with you, we are emailing you instructions to return these glasses to us for an inspection of the anti-reflective coating. This feature has a one-year warranty, and this order is covered under this warranty. We are also emailing you a prepaid shipping label you may use for return postage. We will be eager to get these glasses back (which we understand will be coming to us in the green frame, 326024), and when we have inspected them, we will email you the inspection results. If our inspection finds that the anti-reflective coating has failed, we will offer to remake the glasses for you for free, or if you prefer, issue a 100 percent store credit refund to your Zenni Optical account. Thank you again for posting your review. At Zenni, we believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Zenni has a lot of styles available and I went for the full rim glasses. Other than the uploading of the face and putting on the lenses didn’t really work for me, the whole online ordering experience was good. It was simple, quick, and didn’t cost me too much. Also, the quality of the glasses is decent.

Zenni Optical response

Thank you for posting your comments about your experience ordering your glasses from Zenni Optical. We were pleased to read that you found the ordering process fast and easy, and that you are happy with the prices and quality of the glasses you get from us. Since you mention that uploading your picture using our Frame Fit® feature did not work for you, we looked at the two pairs of glasses on your two orders, one from September 2017, the other from March 2018, each with the same prescription. The first order includes frame 6498921, which has a frame width of 142 millimeters. For these glasses, you used a pupillary distance (PD) of 65 mm. Your second order includes frame 366621, which has a frame width of 128 mm. For these glasses, you used a PD of 52 mm. We see no notes in the database record of either order indicating you called to complain about the size of the glasses or the vision through the lenses. This is surprising, since the two frames have very difference frame widths, indicating that at least one of these frames would not fit you well if the other one did. Also, because the two PDs are very different, we are surprised that you did not contact us to advise that, with at least one of these pairs of glasses, you had a hard time focusing with both eyes through both lenses. We want to confirm that it is important to get the PD measured accurately, either from the eye doctor who provides the prescription, or, if the eye doctor declines to provide this measurement, by a friend or family member, or by measuring it yourself. The PD determines where our lab technicians place the optical center on each lens, and the optical center is a crucial factor in your being able to see well through the lenses. We have an instructional infographic and a how-to video that explains how to measure the PD. Here’s the link to the How to Measure Your Frame Size infographic, which includes a link to a downloadable PD ruler: https://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic. Here’s the link to the How to Measure your PD video: https://www.zennioptical.com/c/how-to#howto-measure-pd. In addition, we have another infographic that is very useful in determining the frame size you need for a frame to fit you well. We advise that you measure a pair of glasses you have now that fits you well and looks good on your face, then shop for a frame on the Zenni Optical website that has similar dimensions. It does not have to be an exact match. You have a 2 mm leeway on each element: https://www.zennioptical.com/measure-eyeglass-frame-size-how-to. We hope this information is helpful. Of course, if either frame, 6498921 or 366621, fits you well, you may take note of the dimensions listed under the enlarged picture of the frame on our website, under Details, and shop for frames with similar dimensions. With this in mind, and as a gesture of thank you for your business and for posting your comments, we are emailing you from the database record of your most recent order a token of our gratitude. We hope that you will use this item toward your next order with Zenni Optical. We also want to mention that, if you have any issue with the next pair of glasses you get from us, we have a 30-day warranty period, which starts the day the glasses are delivered. Thank you again for posting your comments. At Zenni, we believe that it is a privilege to serve your eyeglasses needs, and we hope to do so for many years to come.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zenni Optical?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Ordered some prescription sunglasses with the works. They are polarized in amber, mirrored blue finish, and have engraved sides. I absolutely love them??? My only issue is the frames fit your head so closely they fog up with sweat but it’s really not a huge deal.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I love the ease of ordering glasses on Zenni! I’ve gotten so many compliments on my cute glasses! I want them all! My glasses have Blokz so they help while I’m looking at the computer all day! I ordered a pair of sunglasses, too! They are fantastic and both pairs came with cases!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I purchased frames that have no prescription lenses. I wear these glasses for fashion only. Love them and have never been disappointed. However, I have never been able to download a picture to use as a way to see these glasses on my face. Maybe it's just my inability to figure it out.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I did have a small issue, the lens was cracked, on the glasses that I ordered. I contacted customer service and they quickly and efficiently sent out a new pair. They were very friendly and I would definitely recommend Zenni.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have purchased numerous glasses over the years and I am very satisfied with the fit and styles. Ordering is quick and easy. I always receive my glasses on time. I will continue to purchase from Zenni and I make sure I tell all my friends and family.

Zenni Optical expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2003, Zenni Optical is dedicated to providing high quality prescription eyewear at the lowest possible price. As a solely online business located in the San Francisco Bay area, Zenni Optical offers more than 6,000 frames, all manufactured at their 248,000 square foot facility.

• Glasses for less: With prices that are less than the average cost of lunch, Zenni Optical has a range of glasses that could almost be considered disposable.

• Reasonable delivery times: Typical orders are delivered within two weeks in the U.S., making the wait longer than same day service, but still reasonable.

• Buying guides: Get the right glasses and all the information needed to make an informed selection using the Zenni Optical buying guides.

• Lots of options: With thousands of different frames and lots of customization options available, Zenni Optical has a pair of eyewear for almost anyone.

• Sports wear: In addition to glasses and sunglasses, they also offer goggles and other prescription sports wear.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs