Call toll free
4.02/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

39DollarGlasses.com is the top online optical store for all your prescription eyewear and contact lens needs. Our friendly customer service team is happy to help answer any questions you may have. With quality products, fast shipping, and a knowledgeable staff, 39DollarGlasses is the best place to get a custom crafted pair of prescription glasses or contact lenses at the lowest prices around.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

420 39dollarglasses.com Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 15, 2019

I ordered 2 pairs of prescription sunglasses on 5/30/19 and received them today, 6/15/19. I was disappointed at first because after one week, it still only said my order was processing on the "tracking" part of the website. I tried calling the company and was on hold for 10 minutes so I hung up and emailed them instead. They responded back within the next day and told me it was still processing and that it would be shipped out shortly. I decided to give it another week because I'm basically blind and I figured my prescription was probably a bit more difficult to make, especially for two pairs of sunglasses.

So I waited exactly one more week and emailed them back after checking the website again, where it still said my order was processing. This time, they got back to me in the same day, and told me that they shipped my order out! It shipped on a Thursday and I got them only TWO days later on Saturday!!!! I was so shocked that I got them THAT QUICK, but that also could be because they are based in New Jersey (I think), and I'm only in Pennsylvania, so not too far at all!

As for the glasses themselves, I was scared because I read reviews after I already purchased them about people not being able to see out of theirs, or the prescription being wrong, but I think that's mostly due to user error...my doctor wrote my prescription on a blank piece of paper and I was still able to figure it out based on the instructions that the website gave! I wore the glasses outside today and have absolutely no complaints!!

The frames are very thin, and my lenses are extremely thick, so it sticks out a little but it doesn't feel cheaply made or like the lenses are gonna pop out or anything. I'm used to my lenses sticking out because I have a MUCH higher prescription than lots of other people, but beware of that if that's something that will bother you. So, all in all I give it a 10/10!!! This is the first time I've EVER had prescription sunglasses and I'm so glad that I chose this company. They really did an amazing job!!

Get expert buying tips about Glasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

39 Dollar Glasses seemed very reasonable and when I gave it a shot, I was floored at how quick their fulfillment process was. I placed my first order on a Tuesday and the glasses arrived that Saturday. They are in upper state New York and I'm in California, and yet I had the glasses delivered that quickly. It was in the same week, which was crazy. I couldn’t believe it. I’ve been ordering from them for three years but my wife thinks that my glasses scratch too easily and that the quality is not there. But I've purchased single vision lenses and their frames, and the styles are great. The lenses seem to hold up too. The quality is outstanding for what I’m paying. They’re $39 and then sometimes, they would even throw a little promotion. The company is crazy.

39 Dollar Glasses is so good and they rock. There are other ones out there that will have a brand name frame but 39 Dollar Glasses is like Target in a sense. They are knocking off the styles very quickly. They have a bigger frame that’s more square and almost Run DMC style. It is not exactly like that but the style is going there and they’ve got it. They also did a social media marketing and I saw it on my Facebook feed. That was one of the things that got me to order this last time.

A part of their website used to show the progression of where your order is. It was really generic but as a consumer, you wouldn’t even care. It shows when your order is moving and you’re like, “Whoa! Look everyone.” They had that little time frame before but this time, they didn’t. So I had to call customer service and the representative said that they were changing up the website. She checked and said it was in processing and ready to get shipped. The customer service was really nice and as a whole, 39 Dollar Glasses is awesome.

39dollarglasses.com response

Thank you for this awesome review :) We're working on our order tracking tool and it'll be back on the website once we are done fixing it.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I’ve been ordering from 39 Dollar Glasses for several years now. A co-worker told me about them and at that point in time, I presumed they were the only people offering glasses online. Then, for my most recent order, I looked at another provider but I found their pricing to be disingenuous. They would say that the glasses were worth this astronomical amount and your discount was the fact you were getting it for this price. Also, last year I looked at Warby Parker and since I live in San Francisco, I could go into the store. But again, I found that too overwhelming for me and there were too many pairs to try on. So, I still went with 39 Dollar Glasses. Their process was easy and seamless. Plus, they were efficient and my insurance covered them.

I purchased transitional eyeglasses from them as well as sunglasses. My lenses are progressive and so far, the most challenging thing in ordering products from 39 Dollar Glasses is fitting them to my face after they arrive. In the past, I’ve had my optometrist or technicians in their office do that and make sure they are adjusted correctly. But there’s no information about that on their website. Neither would they follow up or tell you what to do after you get the glasses. So, they haven’t told me how to use my progressive lenses.

But measuring the pupillary distance is something that they tell you how to do. It is so important with progressive lenses and since I’ve had difficulty with pairs in the past that were probably off, this time I had my optometrist measure that for me. And it’s funny because now that the online market is so robust, my optometrist wanted to charge me an additional fee to measure that distance. But they still ended up doing it for free. Other than that, the glasses I received from 39 Dollar Glasses have all been good quality and they’ve lasted me into the next pair and beyond. So, I have five old pairs here in my house right now.

I have also called their customer service to check on an order and I recall feeling very comfortable and confident in the information they gave me. Their website has been good, too, though you cannot view what stage your order is in. For example, I ordered mine on October 6th, which was a Saturday, and when I checked on Monday to see if my order had started processing, their website just said “Pending, pending, pending." Then the next thing I know, I got a notice that my order was being shipped to arrive today, but it actually arrived this weekend. So, I thought I was going to be able to go back and see it say, “Your glasses are in the process of having the lenses made,” or “Your glasses are in the process of being assembled,” or “Your glasses are being shipped.” Just something in transition, so I'd know.

39dollarglasses.com response

Thank you for your feedback :) We have a video on youtube on how to wear progressives (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57oCSTyqFw0) but you're right, we will work on making it more accessible on our website.

As far as the order tracking, we're currently working on fixing and and will be back on the site in the near future!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I was tired of paying the $700 for glasses at a doctor’s office. It wasn’t making sense anymore. Also, I had to start paying for glasses on my own as I moved out of my parent’s house and I feel like I shouldn’t have to pay that much for a pair of prescription glasses that you need. 39DollarGlasses.com was a great solution for me. I really liked their website and it was easy to use. I liked that I could print out kind of life-size pictures of the glasses, try them out, and get a good feel for what they look like and how big they actually are. One of the hardest things to understand from an online retailer is what the glasses actually look like in real life, so being able to print out a physical replica definitely helps.

I've been ordering from their website for two or three years. They have a variety of frames and styles, which is nice. Also, they’ve come up with some new ones recently and they stay up-to-date with that, which is good. They also offer a lot of selections for different types of lenses, which is nice as well, though that can be more expensive. But they have the 30-day return policy. So, if you don’t like your glasses or if they don’t fit well, it's easy to return it. And I like how they give the return label to their customers, so they don’t have to deal with the shipping and figuring out how to get that back. It's a very fluid process and their reps have been very friendly. Tiffany has been wonderful to work with. I ask for her every time I call in because I feel like it's easy to talk to her. All in all, it's a worthwhile experience. If I have issues, they really work hard to resolve those for me.

39dollarglasses.com response

Thank you! We're so happy to hear about your experience with our company. We'll pass on your compliment to Tiffany, she'll be very happy to hear that :)

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I didn't have a lot of confidence in the physician I was seeing before. She hadn't really been able to correct my vision. So I thought of getting temporary glasses, some inexpensive ones to get me by, and then I would buy more expensive ones later. But I never ever bought any other expensive ones. I stuck with 39 Dollar Glasses. It was some friends who directed me away from one of their competitors in the beginning. They said 39 Dollar Glasses has better prices and really good choices. They said I might wanna go there instead so I could afford more pairs than before.

I like to have choices but I have found that my prescription is a very complicated one. With 39 Dollar Glasses, my prescription didn't always work with the different lens shapes or sizes that I had chosen in the past. But I've had very good luck with the frame name Clark. That was what I got on my first order, along with a Trento. I had trouble with my prescription with Trento, which may be because it had a lower profile on the lens area. But 39 Dollar Glasses was very accommodating. They let me send the Trento back and they replaced it with another pair of Clark in a slightly different color. So that all went really well.

This year, I am with a new doctor and I was very excited because I no longer need readers. He's been able to figure it all out. I ordered Retro 108 and Oxygen, and I loved the look of the Oxygen but my prescription didn't marry with it well. It was probably because there's a narrower glass area. There was such a noticeable difference between that and the other pair of glasses that I had gotten. With the Retro 108, I can sit at my computer, read the computer screen and look out the window. It's like a miracle.

I recently sent the Oxygen back and 39 Dollar Glasses is replacing them with Retro Eyewear 108. That's an upgrade in the frame and I was prepared to pay the additional $10 that I thought I owed but when I called to pay, they told me I didn't owe anything. So I'm waiting for them to figure out what was wrong there. I also called them to let them know that even though my contact lens prescription changed recently, the glasses prescription had stayed the same and to put the Retro Eyewear exchange through.

I've always been a tough fit for glasses, even for the people selling prescriptions for my doctor's office. So I can allay the fears of someone who thinks that their vision is too bad and that they can't go with 39 Dollar Glasses because they need the higher standard. It's just a matter of finding the right lens shape and size for your prescription. I've been very happy with the glasses I've gotten from 39 Dollar Glasses. Everything's working out not only well, but beyond expectations. And I have recommended them multiple times since my good experience last year.

39dollarglasses.com response

Thank you for this awesome feedback. We're very glad that you're patient enough to try what works and what doesn't work. We also note your account when you call us so that any rep who works with you in the future is aware of your frame history :) Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need anything else.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 39DollarGlasses.com?

Original review: June 28, 2019

I have bought at least 8 pairs of glasses from 39$glasses over the years. The quality has always been marginal but I didn't expect much for the price. However my last three orders have been unusable because of defective. I've received 2 pairs where the lens weren't completely inserted into the frames, another pairs had materials so flimsy that they broke at a thin spot around the frame. I have also received 2 pairs with the screws only half screwed in because the tapped holes didn't line up but they shipped them anyway. The price is very tempting but the quality is just terrible.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I ordered a pair of sunglasses from here and was happy, so when my regular glasses got scratched I ordered two new pair from here. They say they ship in 1-7 days, so on day 8 I called to check on the status, since I needed the glasses for an upcoming trip. I was told that the order would ship out on day 9, putting it at my house after I leave for my trip. I asked if there was anything that could be done, and was told my only option was to pay for 2-day shipping, which would guarantee it arriving in time. I asked if they could cover the cost since they were behind their posted timeline, but was told they don't do that. I needed my glasses, so I just paid the charge for 2-day shipping.

Fast forward... Even after paying the upcharge, they didn't get them out in time, so my glasses still arrived after I left for my trip. I called customer service again, asking if they could refund the cost of the upgraded shipping, since their "guarantee" had not come to fruition. I was told, "sorry, we don't do that." Excellent. Next time I need glasses, I am definitely going elsewhere. So disappointed. And now, on to week 3 of scratched lenses.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I have been using 39dollarglasses.com for years. I bought sunglasses and several pairs of frameless glasses. My complaint is with the frameless glasses they now use, the (Rimless 6) Bendable Titanium. At first they feel great, springy and snug against your face and bridge of the nose. However, each temple stem has a joint that is near your temple where the springiness happens. That joint fails after 6-8 months of daily use where you remove your glasses and put them back on in normal use.

I was told that I needed to be careful to ensure that both temples were held as I removed and put on the glasses. They fixed the glasses and sent them back to me. Respectful of their instructions I was careful to use both hands when adjusting the eyewear. About 6 months after the repair the single bridge connector (connecting the lenses over your nose) snapped as I applied just enough pressure to put them on my face. I called back and advised of the issue. They are now out of warranty and they cannot replace my perfectly good lenses onto another style of frame because they discontinued the "Rimless 6", a similar design with straight, heavier temple stems. They did offer to send me a new frame so that I could have a local optometrist put it on for me.

I have no complaint about the other, plastic frame sunglasses I have gotten from them. They are inexpensive, look great and last forever. But get rid of the "Bendable Titanium" line and go back to a tried and true frame, or at least offer it as an alternative. EyeBuyDirect seems to be able to do it...

Original review: June 26, 2019

I have been a satisfied customer of 39DollarGlasses for many years. Your frames and lenses are excellent, but more important, your customer service is outstanding. Yes, sometimes things may get delayed, but your employees work extra hard to make things right. Clearly, your customers come first, and that’s why I will continue to buy my glasses from you. Thank you for the valuable products and services you provide.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I have been using $39 Glasses for about 6 years. I ordered some sunglasses on May 29th and was told it would be 7-10 days before it shipped. I kept looking at the site and it said it was still in process. I finally called on June 17th and was told that they failed inspection on the 10th and that I would have them in the next few days. It was very difficult to get an answer from them. They never emailed me about this hold up. Then I was told they would ship yesterday and because I had all this trouble, they would send it FedEx today. They shipped today and are coming by USPS, which I am sure it going to delay them further. I will not be using them in the future as their communication skills are poor and it was almost impossible to get an answer that made sense from a human. I would rather pay more locally than have to go through this process again. They have lost me as a customer.

39DollarGlasses.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded by eye doctors, 39DollarGlasses.com offers the same high quality prescription glasses found in brick-and-mortar stores at a fraction of the price.

• Deep discounts: With glasses available for as little at $39, this online retailer has some of the least expensive pairs around.

• Free returns: If glasses are not as advertised or are damaged during shipping, buyers can send them back at no cost.

• Free shipping options: With a qualifying order, standard shipping is free, with several expedited options available for a small fee.

• Worry free warranty: 39DollarGlasses.com offers 120 days from delivery to return glasses for a 50 percent refund or exchange credit.

• Toddler glasses: Not only do they sell a wide variety of adult frames and lenses, they also have glasses designed just for toddlers.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Contacts wearers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs