Call toll free
4.62/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

39DollarGlasses.com is the top online optical store for all your prescription eyewear and contact lens needs. Our friendly customer service team is happy to help answer any questions you may have. With quality products, fast shipping, and a knowledgeable staff, 39DollarGlasses is the best place to get a custom crafted pair of prescription glasses or contact lenses at the lowest prices around.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

346 39dollarglasses.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Between my husband, myself and daughter we’ve ordered at least 7 pairs of glasses over the past few years. Some simple, some more complex involving special lenses or unusual needs. The very first order I made I was hesitant because the price was SO MUCH better than anywhere else, I thought there had to be a catch. But, no catch. The quality is of products, the wide selection, and the customer service is superb. Because this a hands-on operation, humans are, well, human. There have been a total of two relatively minor problems with glasses ordered in all this time, one because of an error on our part, the other because of a slip by quality control at 39dollarglasses. On both occasions, customer service was super quick and easy to connect with, followed by prompt resolution and email confirmation.

Seriously, they go above and beyond to keep their customers happy and satisfied with their products and service. The customer relations reps clearly have been given the authority to make things right and they seem absolutely sincere and pay attention to what the customer is asking about. I highly recommend 39dollarglasses and hope others will too. Not pure altruism on my part — I want them to stay in business so I can keep getting deals in good glasses for years to come!

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Just got my glasses and I am thrilled. Not only did they cost $163 instead of $550, but they arrived quickly and "work" better than any I ever have had. I think it may be due to PD specs being more accurate. So long Kaiser Optical, I'm devoted to 39DollarGlasses from now on.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I purchased 2 pairs of glasses, one pair fit and corrected my vision perfectly, the second pair had the wrong prescription on one lens. I returned them for repair and they sent them back to me, and still that lens was wrong. They charged me $19.99 for the third try, so I really expected they would be done right. Unfortunately, after sending them in for the third try I never received my glasses back at all.

39dollarglasses.com response

Hi Ned, we are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your experience. We've reviewed your order history and our records show your last order that was placed on 07-12-2017 was returned and refunded as per your request. If you have a more recent order that you're referring to, please contact our customer service team and they'll be happy to answer any questions or concerns that you may have.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I didn't have a lot of confidence in the physician I was seeing before. She hadn't really been able to correct my vision. So I thought of getting temporary glasses, some inexpensive ones to get me by, and then I would buy more expensive ones later. But I never ever bought any other expensive ones. I stuck with 39 Dollar Glasses. It was some friends who directed me away from one of their competitors in the beginning. They said 39 Dollar Glasses has better prices and really good choices. They said I might wanna go there instead so I could afford more pairs than before.

I like to have choices but I have found that my prescription is a very complicated one. With 39 Dollar Glasses, my prescription didn't always work with the different lens shapes or sizes that I had chosen in the past. But I've had very good luck with the frame name Clark. That was what I got on my first order, along with a Trento. I had trouble with my prescription with Trento, which may be because it had a lower profile on the lens area. But 39 Dollar Glasses was very accommodating. They let me send the Trento back and they replaced it with another pair of Clark in a slightly different color. So that all went really well.

This year, I am with a new doctor and I was very excited because I no longer need readers. He's been able to figure it all out. I ordered Retro 108 and Oxygen, and I loved the look of the Oxygen but my prescription didn't marry with it well. It was probably because there's a narrower glass area. There was such a noticeable difference between that and the other pair of glasses that I had gotten. With the Retro 108, I can sit at my computer, read the computer screen and look out the window. It's like a miracle.

I recently sent the Oxygen back and 39 Dollar Glasses is replacing them with Retro Eyewear 108. That's an upgrade in the frame and I was prepared to pay the additional $10 that I thought I owed but when I called to pay, they told me I didn't owe anything. So I'm waiting for them to figure out what was wrong there. I also called them to let them know that even though my contact lens prescription changed recently, the glasses prescription had stayed the same and to put the Retro Eyewear exchange through.

I've always been a tough fit for glasses, even for the people selling prescriptions for my doctor's office. So I can allay the fears of someone who thinks that their vision is too bad and that they can't go with 39 Dollar Glasses because they need the higher standard. It's just a matter of finding the right lens shape and size for your prescription. I've been very happy with the glasses I've gotten from 39 Dollar Glasses. Everything's working out not only well, but beyond expectations. And I have recommended them multiple times since my good experience last year.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

39 Dollar Glasses offered the amber-colored lenses that I wanted for our fishing trip. I like that color as I can see better with it. There were also a lot of glasses to choose from on their site and it was fun going through them. The ordering process was really simple and good. They have the widths and the heights of the glasses, and that was good enough for me. I just had to call my eye doctor on one thing because there was something on their website that I didn’t quite understand. She told me what it was and that made sense, so it was pretty simple after that.

Then when I got to the end and got ready to pay for them, I was tickled to death when I found out that I could get another pair for 50% off. So I went back in and got more. The delivery was really quick too. I can see a lot better with my 39 Dollar glasses and I was really impressed. I have already told a couple of my friends and family members about 39 Dollar Glasses and I'm gonna order some more from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 39DollarGlasses.com?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

39 Dollar Glasses are cheap but have good quality. I order the same pair of glasses from them every five years for my dad and he likes them. The lenses and the frame are its best features. The ordering process is quick and they do it in a timely manner. However, it takes about 7 to 10 business days to get the glasses. It would be better if it's fast. Still, it's been pretty good with 39 Dollar Glasses.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

39dollarglasses has a wide range of styles and I like their prices. I’ve purchased from them two times in the last month and my most recent purchase was Stuyvesant frames with regular vision and the coating on them. I find this brand comfortable and I like the way it looks. Delivery was very fast, less than a week, and it was well-packaged, in good shape and it didn't break.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

We've been using 39 Dollar Glasses for a long time and and I tell people to buy their glasses too. They're cheap and they're good. My friends also use 39 Dollar Glasses. Sometimes you can get coupons and we tell each other when you can get coupons. The other thing about 39 Dollar Glasses that's good is that the glasses are like throwaways. They are $39 or less. If you need to buy a new glasses, you can. If they break, you just get another pair. In comparison, Zenni is even cheaper than 39 Dollar Glasses but I bought glasses from them one time and they weren't very good quality.

We always purchase regular glasses from 39 Dollar Glasses and the ordering process seems okay. You pick out the glasses then the glasses come and they're okay. But I think the company was sold in the last couple of years, or they changed their software system. I was buying glasses one time and there were some issues. Their online service wasn't as good as it used to be. But they seem to have resolved that.

Also recently, we had an order that was just shipped and I was using the tracking number to see when it would arrive. The tracking number told me the glasses were two towns over in Florida and that they were gonna be delivered the next day. But when I checked the tracking number again the next day, it told me the glasses were in Austin, Texas. There was some kind of mix-up with the shipping so the glasses arrived a couple of days later than the tracking number originally said it was gonna be. That may not have anything to do with 39 Dollar Glasses though. It might be a postal service issue. Nonetheless, I like 39 Dollar Glasses.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

39 Dollar Glasses' price was right. The ordering process was very easy and I got the product after a few weeks. The product is of good quality. I've had it for a couple of years and it held up.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

39 Dollar Glasses is great. I went with them because of their cost and quality. I've been ordering from them for years, and the process has been easy. I had bought a pair last fall and they broke, and they replaced them with a similar pair. The lenses were fine and they sent me a frame. I usually get lenses pretty jacked up. They either have all or almost all of the options. I have bifocals so I get the Transitions and I get the photo stuff on the lens, as well as the anti-scratch. Sometimes I leave the computer glare thing off. The customer rep was cool, and they had been excellent every time I had to deal with them.

I wish, however, that there were more options available. They stay sort of static over the years. It would be nice to have a little more variety. But, other than that, I'll buy my next pair of glasses from them again. They have been very convenient and affordable. It's easy because once I get my script, I can, if it has or has not changed, just jump on and order them. I appreciate the coupons and the nice deals every once in a while, too.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Previously, I tried purchasing from USA Glasses. But then, I got to test a pair of glasses from 39 Dollar and I liked theirs better. Ordering from them has been really easy apart from one part wherein I had to measure PD. Still, the second time I ordered, I was ready because they looked up my old order. Also, their website is okay except that if I boot it up and forget my password, there's no way for me to go back into my account. I can't get the email address I used again so I would have to call them. It would be nice if I could reset my account.

Thus far, I've ordered polarized glasses, sunglasses and clear glasses from them. They're wire frames and the quality has been good. One time, I had a simple piece break off of one of my glasses. I called 39 Dollar to reorder the same type and their rep told me that they would just send me another frame for free. Others should visit 39 Dollar Glasses' site. As long as you have a prescription, it's the place to go. It's a lot cheaper and they offer good quality products.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

There's a gal that works at 39 Dollar Glasses named Yvonne and she's great. I made a call to say, "I loved you guys for years but something changed." I was ready to leave them because there are other places now, but Yvonne turned me around and I'm back to using them.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I'm a senior citizen and my eyes are not as good as they used to be. I went to the doctor and was looking around to save some money on glasses. The ordering process at 39 Dollar Glasses was fabulous. The lady was very helpful from beginning to end. She helped me walk through it right and gave a discount. The delivery took a week to 10 days and it was very prompt, especially for the amount of money I paid. However, with the first set of glasses I got, the prescription wasn't quite right. It was my doctor's fault as he didn't write the prescription correctly, but they fixed it and there was no hassle. It's a great value and I love them.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I was looking at getting some glasses online and I stumbled across 39DollarGlasses.com. Everything seemed real simple. I didn't have to go to the doctor's or the optometrists to get my glasses. I got the frames with the upgraded covering and coating to go on the lenses and they're pretty good, though I had to wait a little while longer to get these than I normally do. I paid for extra fast shipping, but it took them a week or two to deliver it. I emailed asking when I was gonna get them 'cause I needed them and I never got emailed back, and eventually I called and they said that they'd send them when they made them. When I got them, there was a slight crack at the bottom of the lens and I don't know if I did that or if it was like that when I got it. It still works though, and I like the slight bluish tint to it.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I am very pleased with the Customer Service I have received as well as the great deals at 39dollarglasses.com. Due to my own misunderstanding I had to return an order to have a change made. The return was dealt with promptly and efficiently and they even gave me a discount. I really felt like they care about their customers. It is overall a 5-star business.

Insufficient response received
Original review: July 19, 2018

This is the time estimate from their website: "Over 95% of all orders ship within 2-7 business days. For some higher prescriptions and multifocals (progressives and bifocals) it may take up to an additional 1-4 business days to process your order." So the min-max estimate here is 2 to 11 business days until your order ships. My last order—not at all a high prescription, not multifocals, no extra processing—took 16 business days to ship. After day 12, I contacted their customer service line on a fairly regular basis about my order and got the same story: "We're sorry it's taking so long, no I don't have any answers for you, please hold tight". This happened with my last order as well. And with that order, on the right lens, there was a significant gap between the lens and the frame; about a centimeter. There are plenty of other more reputable online companies you can purchase glasses from. Do yourself a favor and never order from here.

Original review: July 13, 2018

There were problems with my order, you made me a free pair of glasses because of it and luckily you did because the original order that I had problems with they broke one week after I received them! But they easily took care of that problem as well, but the girl that I was talking to throughout this whole problem Tiffany ** was her name was very hopeful about everything, did a great job of taking care of the problems that I had, was understanding and promptly fixed everything. So my real review is actually for her. She did a great job.

Original review: July 11, 2018

They do not give 100% refund. I had 2 pairs made. The PD was wrong so they remade them. Not tell me that I could not get a refund because they were remade. I could not see out of the 2nd made pairs either so I sent them back. I only got a refund on 1 pair because they said it did not pass their inspection and other pair did so no refund on it even though I could not see out of either pair so buyer beware.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: July 3, 2018

As most of the reviews seem to go on here I'm another unsatisfied customer. This is the 7th business day for me, and from what the website says 95% of people are shipped their glasses within 2-7 business days. Since I have no glasses to review, this 1 star is simply for the customer service aspect of the company. My first encounter was on the 5th business day where I waited over 20 mins to get a response from their online chat. I received no response from that, so I called up the direct line. The lady on the other end was pleasant to talk to although she could tell me nothing more than they are being assembled. The 7th business day arrives and now I decided to skip the chat and go straight to the phone. The lady is once again nice to talk with although I'm disappointed to find out that one pair of my glasses are good to go, and the second pair are awaiting final inspection.

I asked if they could split up my packages perhaps, since my 2nd pair of frames might not be ready today, the 7th business day. The lady on the phone said there would be an additional charge for that... I paid for next day air, and I still won't be receiving my glasses until possibly 9 to 10 business days out. Hopefully, the glasses will be in good shape despite what some users of this site have experienced. It's all about how you treat the customer no matter how inexpensive the glasses may be. It's too bad the company didn't want to try to get my glasses out to me as quickly as they could, even if that meant them having to eat the price of delivery on the second pair of glasses. I guess my business and the business of people I know aren't that important to them.

Original review: June 30, 2018

When I ordered something from 39 Dollar Glasses a few years ago, it went fine and they were friendly. Also, the glasses were inexpensive compared to the rest. Recently, I ordered two pairs of clear glasses and a pair of sunglasses from them but the sunglasses didn’t work with the prescription. They were a little blurry so I sent those back but I kept the clear ones and I’m about to call them to see if they got those back.

Original review: June 26, 2018

My son had a pair of vintage frames that came with clear plastic. We investigated options of prescription lenses but they were all very costly (over $200). Since these were to be used very occasionally I searched the internet for lower cost options and found 39dollarglasses.com. At first I was skeptical but chatted with their customer service and was told exactly step by step how to proceed. I mailed them my frames (I was a little hesitant but the cost was worth it) and about a week and a half later I received a package with the frames and new prescription lenses installed! All for $39!!! I think I will send all my reframes to them and probably get contacts and new glasses as well. I never knew this kind of company existed but it was a great find!

Original review: June 23, 2018

I found 39 Dollar Glasses on the internet and I’ve been ordering from them for four years. I like their style and the latest one I ordered were gunmetal in color. It was shipped and delivered in accordance with the plan. In 2016, I got the Fission Eyewear and it had the minimalist style. I had a problem with almost every pair that I had because the nose pads fell off, even the new ones and when I called customer service a few weeks ago, they told me that they would ship out two brand new frames and I could swap the lenses. They told me that it would be easy and they would call me. I said okay and that’s what they did.

They didn’t send me any instructions on how to do it but I figured it out by looking at the internet on how to do it. And they got a little piece of paper that told me how to put in the new lens which was handy. Other than that, 39 Dollar Glasses is fine but they’ve gotten cheap. I used to get a little glass cleaner packet that the glasses came in and I like the little chamois pouch and the screwdriver but in the last shipment, I didn’t get those. They just put the glasses and they’re rattling around.

Original review: June 19, 2018

A few years ago, I was looking for a cheap pair of glasses and I came across 39DollarGlasses.com through an online research. They had a pretty well put together website, decent reviews, and I was able to find what I was looking for quickly. The prices of their products were comparable to other companies as well. Their ordering process was pretty straightforward and I liked being able to upload my prescription. Everything made sense though I felt like getting to my order status through the email was a bit clunky. Otherwise, it was good.

I ordered a pair of sunglasses and a pair of prescription glasses from them. The sunglasses are the Academy sunglasses and in the lenses, there were some gaps around where the lens meets the frames. Nothing significant, but I noticed it doesn’t look aesthetically as pleasing as you might like. I also had a more recent problem with my current glasses. When I first ordered, it arrived in a really crumpled and damaged FedEx envelope but the glasses didn’t look like they were twisted or broken. However, they had little metal ornamental pieces in the front, almost like sideways diamonds on the top corners, and those were both missing. They had fallen out and I found them in the packaging. I was able to put them back in, but because they weren’t properly glued and placed in, they fell out. On top of that, I ordered a colored cool lighted whiskey tortoise or shiny tortoise, and the acetate on it was pretty much all black.

When I called about these, they said that they would happily send me another pair. And when they did, the little temple pieces were fixed. But, again, the pair was pretty much all black. I was told that they were going to pull that off their website and inspect the process of why that was happening and that if I called back in about a month, they would be happy to replace the frames with the proper coloring. I went with the fair colored lenses the second time around and I’m happy with that. I also like the anti-glare coating.

If I would recommend 39 Dollar Glasses to a friend or family and the packaging showed up damaged, I would feel stupid for having recommended it. So, I would prefer the packaging to be improved. I was worried even with the replacement pair I got because it was slightly bent and the packaging came pretty busted up. I also ordered from Warby Parker not too long ago and they had a nice, sturdy, rectangular box and nothing was wrong with that.

Other than that, 30 Dollar Glasses' customer service was really good. I called and I was expecting to jump through hoops to explain what happened but the person that I talked to was very nice and happy to help me. And that was a very pleasant experience. It’s the only reason I’m still staying with them because they apologized candidly and offered to make it great.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I was looking for completely clear, translucent frames that fit the dimensions that I was looking for. And 39 Dollar Glasses was one of the very few that had a pair that seemed would work. It was my first time ordering glasses online, and 39 Dollar's process went fine. I ordered the Entourage. They narrowed too much at the bridge instead of being more squared, so they wore water blisters across the bridge of my nose. Then 39 Dollar Glasses was wonderful. I worked with a young man named David and he said, “Pick out several pairs you think might work. We will mail them to you, send you the return postage. You try ‘em on, figure out which pair you want. Return them back to us, let us know, and then we’ll make your glasses in which ever pair you pick. We’ll do your lenses.” And I’m waiting for that pair to be back.

David went above and beyond. He went ahead and sent me six pairs that him and I picked out together and paid the postage to return it, which he didn’t have to do. And I didn’t end up with my clear, translucent glasses, which was the whole purpose of doing online, so that really stinks, but 39 Dollar Glasses have worked with me and really tried to make me happy.

Original review: June 15, 2018

39 Dollar Glasses is one of the big eye wear companies. They offered discounts on the frames and they were local to me in Long Island so I felt very confident in giving them a try. Everything that I see on there like progressive and transition lenses are not cheap, but they're very competitively priced on the site and they're done right. The lenses are done the way they're supposed to be. The frames are fine. I can get better ones, but I pay much more for them. I had some problems when I first ordered with having to get the glasses adjusted for the focal point. Once 39 Dollar Glasses did that, everything is automatic and great. And the service department was very helpful. They're professional and they follow up. I've had to return stuff and I got them back already. I have recommended 39 Dollar Glasses.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've been ordering from 39 Dollar Glasses for 10 years and usually it's two or three pairs at a time. I order the same two or three prescriptions but each time I order, it tags it as another prescription. If I want to get the same thing I got last time, I have to figure out which prescriptions I used. But the lenses are really good quality. We've had lenses pop up more than we've had frames breaking and I ordered so many of them because we're really hard on them. We go spray painting in Paris, so each time we try to clean 'em you have dots of spray paint on them. I keep going back to 39 Dollar Glasses and I recommend them to people.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I was a little skeptical at first because they were cheaper than the first pair of glasses that I had ever bought which was around 400 bucks. But with my friend, it's only about the left side. I was like, "How big can this really be if he brought them in?" And he was like, "Look. These aren't super fancy but they're really sturdy and they hold up really well." So I ordered one pair of sunglasses then two pairs of clear glasses, one of them with plastic frames and the other one with metal frames and I've been really impressed. They seemed really good.

Ordering was pretty straightforward. You put your prescription in and then they made it so simple with me just trying to define which frames I wanted. There's a lot of them to go through. I just placed the order and I kept checking to see when the order got sent, and then they came. It took about a week and a half. I'd definitely recommend 39 Dollar Glasses. I shared the website on Facebook and I've been telling everybody at work.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I contacted customer service to order replacement frames for my son's glasses, which broke out of warranty. Thomas ** responded extremely quickly, was very friendly and surprised me by sending new ones out free of charge. Three of us in this family wear glasses, and it's service like this that keeps us with 39dollarglasses. Thank you so much for your great products and even better customer service!

Original review: June 2, 2018

I was having a problem with my optometrist. I would go in and she would prescribe some glasses for me and I was seeing double and having all kinds of problems. And so, I had another optometrist who I depended on and trusted, but I couldn't reach her by phone for some reason. My daughter used to work with the optometrist that I was having problems with. So, we kept trying and ordering more glasses and they were $300 or $400 a pair.

I finally linked up with this first optometrist that I trusted and she gave me a prescription. And I said, "Well, I'm just gonna order online, use just that prescription and just see if that prescription is good." And I got my glasses in five days because they weren't anything fancy. They were just plain jane, advertised $39. It was $43 including tax and/or shipping. And so, I thought, "Wow! What a great company" and they worked perfectly. So then, I took that prescription back to the optometrist I was having trouble with, had them reorder it, but they still screwed it up. I ended up with two and three pairs in some places and no pair of glasses from other places. And so, I said, "Well, I think I'll just order some simple bifocals from 39DollarGlasses.com." I went back to my trusted optometrist and got the prescription. It took a little longer this time because it was bifocals, but they came and they're doing very well. I'm getting used to wearing bifocals again.

But somehow my ordering process online got interrupted so I came back and I didn't see anything. I then went through the process again. Then when I put in the order, I didn't pay any attention to the amount and I ended up ordering two pairs of glasses. I emailed the customer service and I said, "I accidentally ordered two pairs. I just need one pair." They answered my question within 24 hours and refunded the extra money to my credit card. So they're not only a great company, their customer service is also fantastic.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I searched for cheap sunglasses and then I found out 39 Dollar Glasses sell prescription glasses too. They also have access to high-index lens. But they are missing mirror finish on the sunglasses as well as 1.96 or 1.84 high index on sunglasses. I've already ordered about five times and it's an easy process. I got sunglasses for myself and 3 normal prescription glasses for my mom. The glasses were shipped and delivered within the expected timeframe. I've had the glasses for 2 months or so now and I like its polarized characteristic. 39 Dollar Glasses is great.

39DollarGlasses.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded by eye doctors, 39DollarGlasses.com offers the same high quality prescription glasses found in brick-and-mortar stores at a fraction of the price.

• Deep discounts: With glasses available for as little at $39, this online retailer has some of the least expensive pairs around.

• Free returns: If glasses are not as advertised or are damaged during shipping, buyers can send them back at no cost.

• Free shipping options: With a qualifying order, standard shipping is free, with several expedited options available for a small fee.

• Worry free warranty: 39DollarGlasses.com offers 120 days from delivery to return glasses for a 50 percent refund or exchange credit.

• Toddler glasses: Not only do they sell a wide variety of adult frames and lenses, they also have glasses designed just for toddlers.

• Best for: Kids, Teens and Contacts wearers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs