1.68/5

889 America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I got my exam by a Doctor and went fine. I was ordered trials. No mention that it takes weeks to get trials. After about a week was told 10 business days. WOW!! So waited 10 business days. No phone call so I visited to see what the status was. Then told they are on back order. So I'm out of contacts. Need more and no communication. So can't see. Have no contacts and finally got them to at least give me prescription which previously would not so I could order next day delivery through 1800 Contacts which they had in stock. So once got prescriptions it was written wrong and still not right. What a disaster. I'm writing this and can barely see. I wish I would have gone somewhere else. 30 years wearing contacts and this is the first time I felt so dissatisfied and not taken care of. They simply don't care.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Due to cataract surgery and prescription change, needed only left lens replaced in glasses purchased from them. Was told they only make lenses in pairs. Total BS. Took another pair I purchased at another glasses store and they replace only the left lens. Stay away from these guys.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I bought 2 pair of Glasses. I went home. Started wearing them for a day. Could not see good. Started getting headaches so I put other pair on. Same thing. Headaches. So I started wearing old pair. No headaches. I had surgery. Could no go to store 6 months. They would not help me at all. I paid over $300. I should have just threw my money in trash.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

In my opinion, the worst glasses I have ever owned. I paid over $800 for 2 pair of glasses and neither are right. I now am shopping for glasses that I can actually wear!!! Several adjustments and still not usable.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I purchased 2 pairs of glasses from this company August 8th 2016 from the downtown Chicago location after not having bought a new pair of glasses for over a decade. The eye exam went well. Everyone was very nice including the woman that helped me pick my frames. I decided on the EZVue Traditional Poly Transitions Lens Package. Premium Anti Reflection Coating. No tint with polished edges in a Heartland Harper frame. The total came out over $500 for both pair. I pay. Go home and wait for the call that my glasses are ready. It took less than a week. Maybe four days. I get there and the attendant finds my glasses, puts a pair on my face, asks me if I can see, and then that is it. I had my two pairs of new glasses (one black and the other brown) in soft leather cases.

The black pair were my primary as I never touched the brown glasses while they remained new in the case. The problem began when cleaning the glasses. On the first day of ownership I noticed a foggy smudge spot on my right lens that would not go away. Then after days of wearing and cleaning them both lenses on the black pair of glasses progressively got worse with what looked to me like the coating was coming off making it difficult to see through them.

Of course I am dissatisfied and bring the glasses back to the America's Best location where I am told by the same woman that put them on my face at pickup that the damage to the lenses were caused by myself using a shirt or a rag to wipe them instead of a microfiber cloth, and because I don't have a warranty, there was nothing they could do. So I was then given two microfiber cloths when they gave me nothing but the glasses at the actual initial pickup, and was sent home with ugly, foggy, hard to see out of lenses on a pair of glasses barely two weeks old. "OK. Maybe this was my fault, " I thought as I went back home to get my unused second brown pair of glasses prepared to only clean them with the microfiber cloths that were just now given to me.

That is exactly what I did. Nothing but those two cloths and water touched the second pair of glasses, and in a short amount of time the lenses on those were in just as bad of shape as the first pair. That is when I decided that America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses will never get my business again. My pair of glasses that these two replaced that I had been wearing for over ten years didn't have lenses that looked as badly as these.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Three weeks tomorrow and I still don't have my glasses. After calling the customer helpline I learned my order was cancelled two days after I ordered them and two weeks later I called and they finally reordered them three days later! Now I find out that the lab has had the order but the store hasn't sent them the frames yet! They are hoping to have them ready in three more days by putting a "rush" on them, the same thing they told me a week ago. Worst customer service I have ever had and I'm 65. UNBELIEVABLE.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I visited the Bowie Maryland location of America's Best just before the Christmas holiday as I was in the country on vacation. I was told and fully understood that it would take 7-10 business days to get my new eyeglasses. I was delighted when I was notified within 3 days, December 27, that my glasses were ready. I eagerly went to pick up my glasses only to find that I was being given two pairs with the same frame. I informed the employee that I had selected that frame and another, which was to contain the transition lenses. She had me locate the frame I had selected and told me again that it would take 7-10 business days. I didn't think my wait time should start over as 3 days had already gone by, but I agreed, noting how quickly they contacted me for this order.

I am writing as my frustration increased over time as my sister got a message from the company that the glasses were in the store, after two weeks, and when she went they were unable to locate them. She was told that the call must have been made in error. I then had my daughter call the store on January 21 and she was informed that the glasses should be in the next day. Finally today January 23 she was able to pick up the glasses. I asked her if they are transition and she said she is unsure as the employee only searched the name and gave her the glasses. Overall I am totally unsatisfied with the level of service I received and will not be using America's Best again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I have purchased eyeglasses for 27 years. With changes in insurance over the years I have been to Sears, LensCrafters, Thoma & Sutton & I think Pearle Vision for glasses. A few years ago I decided I wanted to purchase two pairs (to leave one at work) and there was a good promotion advertised at America's Best so I thought I would give this company a try! So happy I did! I have gone in at different times meeting a mixture of personnel. Some I hadn't seen before and others I recognized as working with previously. Each time I have been please by the kindness and knowledge of the crew.

I've worked in health care myself for 36 years (as a RN) and that personal touch... for me... makes ALL the difference. That is why I am taking the time to write! Shannel has hands down been the BEST! Seriously, not only in her knowledge... but her deep down sweet, sincere personality. If I ran my own business I'd seriously think of a way to convince her that my company needed her! I don't know how long she has worked for your company... but she is a gem! I look forward to picking up my glasses and hope it happens to be a day that she works! If not I know the others will be helpful... as they have in the past. So nice to find a store that I know I can stay with and not have to search every two years. Blessings, and happy 2019!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I made an appt at AMC&E after my WalMart appt had to be canceled and there was not another available appt for a few weeks. I made the appt online for both me my 12 yr old son. After making the appt I read some of these reviews and started to get a little worried. When we arrived for our Saturday afternoon appt I was on my guard waiting for them to start lying to me or adding on products and services that I didn't need or knew nothing about or changing the advertised price. I filled out the standard paperwork for my son and I and then we both received our pre-test screening (i.e. the glaucoma test and a few other things). The lady that did the test offered an additional screening for $14 (don't remember what it was for). I declined and there was no further discussion.

I was seen by the Dr. first and my examine was for glasses and multi-focal contacts. I have worn contacts for decades but never multi-focal. The examine was pretty typical and he explained that he thought with my vision and age I was a great candidate for multi-focal contacts. I picked out some frames and sat with the optician. Now I was really on guard; based on the reviews I read, here is where the slimy sales stuff starts. She asked if I wanted single vision or bi-focal glasses.

I asked what the minimum price of bi-focal would be compared to single vision. She looked it up and told me bi-focal glasses, with the frames I picked out, would be around (I don't remember exactly) $250 and single-vision around $100. I told her I only really wear my glasses at night before bed so to watch TV so I don't think I needed bi-focal. She agreed and even wrote down for me the strength for drugstore readers to get so I could use those at night if I needed to read.

WHAT! WAIT A SECOND! ABC&G just gave me a plan to spend LESS MONEY with them They helped me save money! My son came out of his appt with the Dr. picked out glasses and we had a similar pleasant experience with him - no fast talking, no hidden fees, very up-front and honest. I went back today for a follow up on my multi-focal contacts and order my 1-yr supply and, wait for it, their contacts were cheaper than the ones I priced out online. And, they will ship them to my home for free.

Lastly, I bought into their subscription club for an additional $10 and now I get three years of eye examines for free. My son got two pairs of glasses and his examine was free. I just don't get all the complaints. Makes me wonder if some people just don't read the fine print and start to make assumptions and then are disappointed when there are charges they didn't expect. You got me, but I had a great experience with ABC&G!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Jenn who helped me pick out my frames and then informed me that they were participating in a Monster Jam free ticket event. I needed glasses anyway. Was definitely a nice way to save money! Jenn took her time and helped me find the best deal and value for my money. Last eye exam I had was 5 years ago and in the military so I didn’t have as many options. I will be back next time. Thank you for making it easy!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Once again, no confidence of ordering my contacts from this company. Every year, it's a different excuse from them. The online prescription doesn't match the written prescription. Errors happen, so I went into the store today, and they blamed it on a 3rd party company they pay. So now another organization has my information, and the local store said they have no access to fix. Nothing they can do. We are talking about my eyes. Would you trust them now? I'd rather pay double for better service and confidence than deal with them ever again!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I went to the location at North DeKalb Mall. Chose from their limited style frame of $59.99 just to end up with a bill of $400 because they charge per lens. You can easily get a better deal at Walmart even after paying for the eye exam. The frames they have there a definitely cheaper at Walmart, and upon that they couldn't give me the little cloth to clean my glasses with, that I should buy them because the free ones are out of stock, after all that money.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I went into America's Best to get new lens (I already had the prescription) put in existing frames. The sales rep was nice, but even after I told him I had had cataract surgery in both eyes within the year and would only use the glasses for driving in unfamiliar places (needed just a tweak to see street signs a long way off), he quoted me a price for the most expensive lens. I said no, not paying that. So he went to the next level and I agreed to the $144 price (after insurance cost).

He was writing it up when he said "Oh, I need to tell you that if THEY break your frames while putting in the lens, they'll give you a $50 credit toward a new pair of our lens." "Say again??? You're saying if THEY break my expensive frames, they'll not replace them or pay me for them, but give me $50 credit?" "Yes, that's company policy," he said. I told him I didn't trust them to send them in and return them without being broken if they're not more careful than to have to tell every customer that and said "Thank you for your time, but I'll go somewhere else." Won't set foot in that store again...and wish I had read these reviews before I went to begin with.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

After having my glasses for only for months the nose piece completely broke off, which should be considered a manufacture defect. I was told there is no warranty unless you buy one. What kind of company doesn't back their product especially for the cost incurred. I contacted them and they said they could give me 50% off a new frame but that was the best they could do. I've worn glasses all of my life and have never been so disappointed with quality and care about their customers.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I work 80 miles away from Opelika AL. America Best store. My appointment was at 5:30 pm. I arrived 7 min late due to traffic. The dr would not see me. No one was there for an appointment but me. I drove all that distance for nothing. Never will I go back anyway, I was only going to get my prescription (which I had paid for because I was a gold member) to take to another store (Walmart) because the glasses my family purchased was pure crap. We had to keep taking them back to replace screws, nose pieces, etc. KKR Owens - this group plenty of money, they are not going to respond nor help you. I will reply back if they do (don’t hold your breath). Please check the reviews of a co before using them. Wish that I had.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I went in yesterday at the McKinney TX office and asked if I could get a screw put in my glasses that I had purchased. Very nice well-dressed lady told me that she could help me and took my glasses. First off I should have known something was wrong when she took my glasses and left the Lenses that had popped out. She came back and told me that my Lenses would pop out again. Reason being she bent my frames and now the glasses are not straight on my face. This is just crazy, you go in to get a screw put in and come out with your glasses crooked on your face.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Second time I've used this company, both in Charleston, SC and Brick, NJ. I found them to be highly professional, thorough and they went out of their way to make sure I was happy with my purchases. In the Brick, NJ establishment two weeks ago, a young lady was even kind enough to fix my husband's frame for free while I shopped around for my frames. I have had my share of bad experiences that included incorrect scrips, bifocal lines incorrect and also my share of excellent experiences from high dollar eye physicians and I can say that America's Best is truly reasonable in their product they sell the consumer. They do not lack in service and/or experience in any way and I recommend you give the company in your area a try.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Went in 12/11/18 to get eyeglasses. Got exam selected frames & lenses & 619.95 for 2 pair... When the glasses came back prescription was all wrong, bifocal line up too high & they broke the arm of one frame trying to 'fix' the lens. Their customer service is absolutely horrible. When I called to try to discuss the problem they left me on hold for a long time then hung up on me. I'll never recommend it ever go back to these ppl!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Don't let the 69.95 price with a free exam fool you!! So I don't have eye care insurance anymore so when I saw the "two pair and a free exam for 69.95, I was elated. Everyone was very kind, but when it came time to pay I was told the total price was 570.00. Boy what a rip-off!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I bought a pair of glasses with Oakley frame. We paid $180 for frame plus the cost of two lenses. After 3 months when the both temples of the frame came off we realized that it was a cheap frame, it might not be worth $180. Anyway thinking that the manufacturer warranty would cover the replacement, we went and asked to replace frame. We were told that there is no manufacturer's warranty for frame and lenses in America's Best, we were supposed to purchase warranty. They told me I have to pay $180 again to purchase a replacement frame. When you buy a small tool such as hammer or plier or an appliance such as hair dryer or coffee grinder in Walmart it has one year warranty. In America's Best (Worst may be more appropriate) for a $180 frame no manufacturer warranty. Please never buy glasses at America's Best. It's a worst place with worst customer service. Later I bought a nice pair of glasses (Ray-Ban frame plus lenses) for less than $200.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I went it and bought two pairs, paid over $400 for both pairs and had warranties on both, within six months my frames that I used daily had broken. Went in only to be told "I must have forgotten to add the warranty on your glasses." Silly me just bought a new pair and made sure they was a warranty this time. So here we are less than six months later and needing my frames and lenses replaced under my warranty only to be told they can't replaced them without me having an eye exam and that they can't replace the lenses at all. But don't worry, it's only $290 out of pocket again for them...

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I had an eye exam at America’s Best. I’ve always wondered why my eyes appear to be getting worst. It’s not my eyes. It’s the glasses. I only have medicine in the lower part. I have to hold my glasses at the tip of my nose to see. And their for distance. Never will I go back.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

America's Best eyeglasses, I usually don't write a review, but in this case, I will. I got 2 eyeglasses and an eye checkup. If you want somewhere cheap go there and get the regular but keep in mind they are cheap glasses you can get at Costco. Go to a specialty and do a better job of checking your eyes. I will not use them again. Wastes of 70.00 I just spends.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Understand with the commercial/advertising that glasses at $69.99 for two pair with exam. No way, told price over $205 worked down to $174. Daughter broke glasses. Felt locked in. Beware. All a scam, false advertising. Shame on this company. Will never go there again. Only time will tell of quality.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Went in to get new lenses put in existing frames. Had to go to an specialist for my exam. They advertise 2 pairs of men's glasses including frames as low as $79.00 including exam. Well, I did get blended lenses and a non glare coating. The total was $275.00. No exam, No lenses for only 1 pair. That is $205.00. This is outrageous. If you want simple exam and crappy frames, this is the place to go.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Purchased 2 pair glasses. Week later took in 2 Kirkland frames to have new RX lenses in old frames (have birds & use these). As my lenses fell out of frame, took out Kirkland glasses to use while daughter went to get glasses repaired. Noticed the Kirkland glasses RX were my old lenses. Went to store and ask why charged and lenses not changed. Manager called me a liar and said I had the lenses done somewhere else. Drove across parking lot and went into Costco to see if these were my old RX from them. To my amazement, the lenses were never changed. Be careful, it’s not amount the money, it’s pretty made when you have a receipt for work to be done, Mgr calls a 73-year woman a liar. Called the 800 complain line, to no one's surprise, no return call. Be careful and remember,”you get what you pay for, HAHA”.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

The worst scam I have ever experienced. DO NOT GO! After a long drawn out explanation of the costs which became quite complicated, the bottom line was one pair of regular glasses $800.00. I walked out.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I highly recommend America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses were they offer the best prices in sight! The place I went to is located on SW Hall Boulevard, in Greenberg Corners in Tigard. I had a wonderful experience there yesterday. Everyone who works there was very professional, attentive and knowledgeable. I am waiting for my glasses to be ready to pick up in about two weeks. I am grateful for the eye exam I had done which was free and I have high hopes my glasses will be perfect and will make a big difference in my life.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

WORST glasses lenses ever! I wore my pair less than a year, taking good care of them, & they were scratched up so badly, so I took advantage of my warranty & got free new pair. It's about 6 months later & using ONLY special fabric cleaners for them & the lenses are totally scratched up again!! NEVER EVER GOING BACK THERE AGAIN!!! And their staff herded us customers (not patients) like we were cattle...going from waiting area to room, back to waiting area, then another room, waiting area again, etc.

After I recently went to an actual credible eye exam I was told that America's Best OVERPRESCRIBED my lenses prescription!! I knew I wasn't seeing as clear as I should've been. Dr said the last place I went (America's "Best") had to have really dropped the ball on my Rx glasses. Also America's Worst said that I had cataracts in BOTH of my eyes when in fact I did NOT! If it wasn't a waste of time & money, I should sue for incompetence, seriously! ***DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR VISION!!!***

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Paid for a pair of glasses and had to have the redone, still cannot see properly. Will not recommend this place to a dead person much less a friend. Lousy store, lousy customer service. Do not go to this rip off place.

America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses Company Information