Sterling Optical

Sterling Optical
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5

Sterling Optical Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sterling Optical?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sterling?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I have been a loyal and satisfied customer of Sterling Optical (located in the Tysons Corner Center Mall in McLean, Virginia) for well over a decade. I was first drawn to the particular store by their high quality and wide selection of attractive eyewear frames. Throughout the years, whenever it was time to replace my lenses with a newer prescription, repair a clumsily abused set of eyeglasses or simply change “my look,” the staff of Sterling Optical at Tysons always proved attentive to my needs and very helpful in guiding my frame ware selection.

Seeking a series of sophisticated high index, progressive lenses that conformed to my unique poor eyesight/high correction requirements (and evolving tastes) never proved a problem. The highly professional and competent optical technicians would patiently and meticulously explain to me all the options available, while carefully pointing out all of the practical pros and cons of each available lens option.

Every time my eyewear selection was completed; and my lens’ technical options were decided; and all of my critical optical measurements were double checked, the Sterling Optical staff would politely and pleasantly concluded my purchase transaction. In all cases, my eyeglasses would be exactingly manufactured and made available for pick up and final fitting within the promised time frame.

SPECIAL NOTE: Most recently during the Covid-19 Pandemic, I had broken one of my eyeglass lenses in an unfortunate slip and fall incident. Leery of entering Tysons Mall during this period of escalating virus infection rates, I weighed my limited options. Bleary eyed, I donned a face mask and marched into Tysons Center, choosing the social distancing security blanket of a lower occupancy, weekday morning opening hour.

Arriving early, I cautiously waited at a safe distance from the still locked storefront security gate. I watched as the Senior Optical Technician and Store Manger “Eric” appeared to meticulously inspect the cleanliness of the store’s interior and, when finished, opened the security gate precisely at 11:00AM. Greeting me with friendly smiling eyes and a fresh face mask (while standing behind a Plexiglas buffer), Eric once again began the process of addressing all of my eyewear woes. As in the past, Eric handled himself in the most professional and friendly manner. My anxiety drifted away and a sense of relief relaxed my Covid-19 induced tension.

Once my new glasses arrived, I reentered Tysons Mall while wearing contact lenses and picked up my eyeglasses in a virtual masked flash. Once home, I removed my contacts and tried on my beautiful shiny new spectacles. Oh my goodness! My ophthalmologist (independent and wholly unrelated to Sterling Optical) wrote me a completely defective, pre-pandemic prescription. I could barely see out of my new eyeglasses. Angry at my doctor’s error, I arranged to have the my eye doctor immediately substitute and update last year’s correct prescription.

A few days later, corrected prescription in hand, I once again approached Eric during Sterling Optical’s security gate opening time. Barely concealing a sincere empathetic smile behind his fresh face mask, Eric confirmed that, occasionally, doctors do make mistakes. He explained to me that, under such circumstances, Sterling Optical offers a 60 day eyewear return and remanufacturing policy, free of charge! Now I wait for my truly corrected lenses, with a big smile under my face mask. No mystery on why I remain a loyal and satisfied customer of Sterling Optical. Thanks Eric! Stay healthy.

Alfred V.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

Rude, unprofessional staff. Billed medical insurance instead of taking vision copay for eye exam, after I adamantly told them they were incorrect, and I noted it on intake paperwork not to bill medical. Next, they coded a wrong reason for my next eye exam appointment for glasses, then argued with me as to the reason for the appointment when I arrived. Doctor did perform exam and apologized for their mistake.

"Sales" staff was pushy. Tried to sell me something for diabetics when reviewing my selections and vision insurance coverage. I am not, nor have ever been diabetic and corrected her. Said they would contact me when glasses were ready. Never heard from them. Followed up weeks later. Verified total balance due twice. Was assured of balance and told there were no other charges.

Discovered office moved, but they had not notified customers. Went to new location. Paid balance. Again verified balance was paid in full. Picked up glasses. Now, months later, billed for eye exam not paid by medical that should have been a vision copay. Called to dispute bill. Asked for name of person I was speaking to after heated discussion. Was hung up on. Will never go there again.

Get buying tips about Glasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2019

About two weeks ago, I went to Sterling Optical on Hylan. I’ve been to numerous eyeglass stores before, including privately owned stores and franchises however my experience with the staff members here was amazing! A young lady Lauren made my visit enjoyable. She really went out of her way in explaining the different kinds of frames that were in my budget and also provided me with other options as well. I appreciated her patience- this was my first time getting glasses so I was definitely a fish out of water and had no idea what I was looking for.

Most importantly she was respectful and honest when I asked her opinion on the different frames I tried on and she certainly wasn't telling me what I wanted to hear. I highly recommend future four eyes to go to Sterling Optical on Hylan where the people there are just so genuine! I could tell Lauren loves her position and it was so refreshing to see that since the stores I went prior to this were pretty awful in regards to customer service. hope this helps in your future decision for a store. :)

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

The store at Rockaway mall in Morris County NJ filed a claim for glasses for me which were NOT the glasses I requested. I needed to fill the bi-focals so I could drive and they got me new readers instead hence using up my benefit for 2 years. So now I can’t drive because they screwed up. They would not give me the name of the people who filed for these glasses so I could put in a formal complaint because they say HIPAA laws say they can’t tell me. Ummm this is MY ACCT that you used to get money for something I did not order and now I can’t get glasses. I got a letter from my insurance which clearly states they requested coverage for something I did not request!

Original review: May 9, 2017

I would not recommend Sterling Optical in Ithaca. Rebecca, the store manager(?)'s customer service is awful and she does not uphold policies clearly written on her store's receipt and on the store's website. Read for more information. I went into Sterling Optical last Thursday (May 4, 2017). My glasses had broken and I needed a new pair. The lady at the front desk was very nice and doing her best to help, but the manager(?) of the store, Rebecca, was very unprofessional. I was trying to talk to her and instead of coming to the front to talk to me, she was yelling to me from her office in the back.

Eventually, I did get a new pair of glasses from Sterling Optical, but was unhappy with how they looked. Both the receipt and the website said that while glasses cannot be returned, that store credit would gladly be issued regardless of the situation. I called the store on Monday (May 8, 2017) and they told me that store credit was only given if there was a defect with the glasses. I told the lady who answered the phone that the receipt said no such thing, nor did the website. That did not get me anywhere - she continued to tell me that the policy about store credit was only applicable if there was a defect with the glasses, but again the receipt nor the website did not support that. Again - Rebecca's customer service is awful (but at least her staff are friendly and try their best to help) and they do not uphold policies clearly written on their receipt and on their website.

Original review: May 8, 2017

The moment I walked in I had the feeling I made a mistake. Women behind the counter were very aggressive in a way that you don't see at optometrists. The doctor examined me without the least bit of friendliness--when she left she didn't say one word. She turned and walked back to her office. I was given a pair of contact lens to try before I ordered. It took me a while to try them and once I did I realized I couldn't see close up at all, couldn't see my iphone or read at all. I went back to Sterling Optical Kings Plaza to tell them. As I walked in the women behind the counter looked unhappy to see me. I told her my issue. She looked at my receipt and said, "You had the appointment in Feb and now it is May." I apologized. I told her no one said there was a limit on when to return. It felt that they make up rules as they go. She had no explanation as to why. She was upset that it took me so long to come back. She said something that made no sense at all.

The doctor then took me in the room to re-measure me. Although I had these exact lens before she asked if it was the first time. I tried to explain my situation and soon realized that she was very hostile towards me. I tried to explain what the issue was with the test lens but she wouldn't give me a chance to talk--it was obvious she was angry. She said, "I guess your former doctor would assist you in a better manner" or words to that effect. I never mentioned my former doctor at this visit. I walked out. DON'T GO TO THIS PLACE. Their customer service is abhorrent and manners are terrible. I felt like I was being ripped off from the moment I walked in. Policies are not explained but they seem to just make it up as they go. The receipt they give you has nothing written on it with Sterling policies. They never gave me the prescription. I completely wasted my money and will have to find a new place to obtain my lens. Don't go to this place.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

This is the worst optical business I have ever seen. No customer service skills, did not help me with my insurance, eye exam was horrible. Now I'm practically blind till I can afford a new pair. They have no compassion for anyone!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2016

I have used Sterling Optical for several years. They are very professional and friendly when you enter their store. They know me each time I walk in and treat me with respect which is a great customer relations. I have always had a good experience when going there. My appointments are always on time and done in a quick and timely fashion. My vision is the best since going there. I have been to another chain (won't mention any names) but they really messed up my eyes to the point I had to go to an eye specialist to correct the problem. Here at Sterling I have NEVER had any problems with getting fitted for my correct vision. I recommend them to all my friend. Well done Sterling!! See you my next eye appointment.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

Went to this site for contact lens fitting for my sons. After the "Doctor of optometry" (not an MD) examined them, she said she only prescribes daily lenses for any kids under 16. I asked her why, which she said kids are not responsible and get more infections. She was worried about her license if they got an infection. I asked her for any research which would back that up but she had no response. I expressed my concerns for cost as well which she was not sensitive about. I left stating I would see how my sons handled the responsibility and would discuss at follow-up.

At the follow-up, I told her the kids did great and that they showed great hygiene with handling lenses. I asked her to reconsider since they did well. She then stated that they BOTH had allergies in their eyes. This after they had just been seen by their well respected pediatric ophthalmologist, an actual MD, who over 12 years had not ever mentioned allergies in their eyes. Mind you, they have never complained of itchy or watery eyes. She would not offer even one more cost effective alternative. She told us she was done talking to us and left. I spoke to the manager the next day to no avail. FYI, after researching this "doctor," she attended the one of the worst rated optometry schools which is in Puerto Rico. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

I bought a pair of non-prescription (off the shelf, NON-custom order) sunglasses at the Sterling store in the mall in Ithaca NY. Due to the lighting conditions in the store, it was difficult to see myself in the mirror. When I got out to the parking lot car and looked in my car mirror, I decided to return the glasses. The store, however, declined to reimburse the money paid, stating that it was store policy to only give a store credit. I live in a different state and was only in Ithaca for a few more days. None of the other items in the store were of interest to me. The store indeed had a sign advising of its no returns policy, but it was placed on the back wall and not at the counter where customers pay and might more readily see it. The receipt also stated the no returns policy, but it was handed to me in an envelope and I did not immediately open the envelope to look at the receipt when I paid.

I consider this way of doing business intentionally deceitful. I later also compared the price of the sunglasses I had purchased with the price online. I had paid about double the online price. I understand that retail stores are struggling to compete with the internet these days. However, their store policy is not doing Sterling's any favors in the long run. Stay away.

Sterling Optical Company Information