2.9/5 (926 ratings)

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

About Primerica

Primerica exclusively offers term life insurance through two policies: TermNow and Custom Advantage. Each policy includes term lengths from 10 to 35 years. Primerica provides up to $5 million in coverage and allows coverage until age 95. Primerica also offers coverage without a medical exam, depending on the plan.

Find Life Insurance Companies partners near you

Pros

• Two policy options
    • Riders included
    • Insures seniors
    • Payouts in two weeks

Cons

• No online quotes
    • Only offers term life

Bottom Line

Primerica offers term life insurance policies with term lengths up to 35 years and coverage up to $5 million. Policies are available for applicants up to 70 years old. No online pricing makes it difficult to explore policy options.

Primerica Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Primerica?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Primerica?

Original review: July 29, 2021

PRIMERICA is very inclusive of all ages and gender and it has really shown through this pandemic when other companies were turning our seniors away they were inviting all to come along and get coverage.

Original review: July 14, 2021

Primerica sells you Term Life insurance only at the discount rate. This means that they don't markup the premium like other insurance companies do with the cash value policies. Other financial services/guidance is complimentary. They are a great and reputable group to partner with to secure your financial future, as well as to insure you are ready when it comes time for retirement.

Original review: April 16, 2021

I requested a sizeable redemption check from my money market account on February 10, 2021. After not receiving the check in over two weeks I contacted Primerica. Primerica cancelled the previous check and sent me a replacement check on March 9, 2021. I immediately deposited it and it showed up as positive deposit in my checking account March 19, 2021. Typical for banks to hold for days on a large check to insure it clears. On March 25, 2021, I checked my online account days while paying bills and noticed that the check had been marked returned and I was charged a fee for the returned check. I contacted my bank and they told me the check was returned by “the Maker of the check” who is Primerica via Mellon Bank due to insufficient funds.

I immediately contacted Primerica and they said the check was cashed and there is nothing we can do about it. I finally got my bank on a three-way call with Primerica, and Primerica asked for my bank to send them all of the information indicating the return of the check. Today is April 14, 2021 and I have spent over 12 hours and dozens of different customer representatives, Case Numbers, Reference Numbers, Investigation Numbers, and every time I call its like they have no idea of what I am speaking of and it starts all over again and tell me they are continuing to investigate.

The latest request from them was for me to send them a screen shot of my account showing the deposited check and the returned check, which I have done. I have asked for a supervisor during each call, never have been given a supervisor. Each time I call, they ask me for the name of Primerica Representative, I give the name and remind them each time that his name is on my account, but he has not worked for Primerica for over 10 years, I know him personally.

This place is a sham, pyramid scheme to sell you life insurance and get you to invest. I have never once been contacted by Primerica in over 15 years to advise me my investments. Matter of fact, the advisor they have on my account has not worked for Primerica for over 10 years. This is the very reason I am moving all of my accounts over to Ameriprise where I have had the best experience. Sharing as to keep others from going through what I have. DO NOT USE PRIMERICA FINACIAL SERVICES

Original review: Jan. 31, 2021

I have been involved with Primerica for over 30 yrs. I’m not a huge income earner. I’ve worked a regular job and used primerica as a source of extra income for my family and that’s what I found so attractive to their opportunity. And I joined them because number one the person who came to see me Made such a huge impact on my life by explaining just common sense concepts about investments and life insurance and helping me properly protect my family. I was so impressed by what they did for me. I joined the company because what they did was so good for me. I just wanted to help other people like they helped me and over the years I have helped many families by sharing what we do at Primerica.

I have never ever sat down with anyone and shared our concepts of how we help families and had a not one negative response even if I didn’t do business with them. And I always ask is, "What I’ve shared with you so educational that you would want share it with everyone?" You know just to help them understand what I’ve been able to teach you today even if you didn’t get paid to do it and their response is absolutely 100%.

So for the people who write all the negative things on here maybe you did have a bad experience but if so it is absolutely not because PFS itself is not a great company. Maybe you had an agent who as in many companies didn’t do their job properly and I hate that for you. I really do. I’m just saying if McDonald’s had an employee that did a bad job that doesn’t make their Big Macs (products) bad.

So for everyone who reads these posts if you want to look for something negative and make very serious decisions for your financial future do your own homework and make a your decision based on the facts for yourself. You won’t find them here. I’ve never ever done one of these posts before in my life but I believe everyone owes it to themselves to make such important decisions for their families future based on facts.

All I will say is this in closing (THERE'S NOTHING MORE POWERFUL THAN AN IDEA THAT'S TIME HAS COME). This company was founded by a high school football coach with an idea and a crusade to help middle class Americans just like himself have a better future for their families and that idea has grown into the Largest Financial Services Marketing company in North America today. I really don’t think that happened by doing bad things for people, you might just wanna check how we got to this point for yourself!! God Bless.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Primerica takes integrity to the kitchen table! Taking a buy term & invest the difference philosophy to consumers they do what’s right for the consumer 100% of the time. As a licensed representative with Primerica since 1997 I can say with all honesty that they offer a very real opportunity doing great things for people. They are committed to helping people get out of debt and become financially independent teaching common sense principles that work. I am truly grateful to Primerica for their commitment to doing what is right!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Very happy. Actually received proper coverage that was tailored and right for ME and my individual needs and budget (more for less too) as opposed to what's better financially for the company or agent like others and that wasn't "too good to be true". Everything was explained in layman's terms and all and any questions were answered by agent who had my best interest at heart. Medical questionnaire etc was straight forward and not misleading or vague, covered a lot of things and nurse was able to came when it fit with my schedule any time of day.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

This is a term life insurance policy that renews every ten years. The premiums increase at renewal and is recalculated based on my age at renewal time. Because of my income, I have had to reduce the amount of the insurance. I started at $120,000 when I initially bought this insurance in 1989. I am currently down to $15,000 to achieve affordability. There is no cash value attached as it would have been had I bought a whole life policy. At my current age of 70, a whole life policy would cost more than I could currently afford. Despite these issues, this company was very efficient at paying me after my son died as I also paid his insurance premiums.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Primerica is the worst company! My boyfriend worked for them and it was the worst experience! When my boyfriend expressed concerns his boss made fun of him. Told him that he wouldn't succeed in life if he didn't work for them. He also told him that he was settling to go to college. They were pushy and very inconsiderate! Primerica is sketchy and they hide facts from you. They also don't believe the customers when they tell them how much they pay for their insurance. I wouldn't recommend this company at all!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I have life insurance with Primerica, I purchased when I was very young. I have regretted my entire experience with them since. Please do thorough research about insurance policies and your agent (or lack thereof) before getting tangled up with this very unethical group. Low morals, no communication, and they could not admit their years of billing errors. It's so disappointing that they took advantage of my lack of life experience all of those years ago, and that's the type of group they continue to be.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have had a term life insurance policy with Primerica since 1990, I was 35 years old at the time. The first 20 years, the premiums were very affordable, then in 2010 the premiums went up to $89.02. On September 11, 2020, I received a letter titled “Premium Increase Notification”. I now have two (2) options and they are as follows: I can choose a monthly premium of $423.80 (a 476% increase) or a monthly premium of $366.71 (a 411% increase) or I could downgrade my coverage drastically and still pay a considerable monthly premium, that doesn’t even balance out, considering the amount of coverage that you’re losing.

And by the way, if I do not choose a new payment option, they will choose the higher premium for me, without my approval and proceed to submit an ACH on my behalf, for payment. On September 11th, I contacted the company by phone and requested the following documentation: 1. A signed and dated copy of my original policy. 2. An audit statement (billing and payment history) from 1990 through August 2020. It is now 10/21/20, and I’m yet to receive either of these two (2) documents.

I have tried contacting my representative directly (John **) directly by phone and via e-mail, with no response. A representative on his behalf contacted me and I requested the above on three different occasions and she could not provide. She told me I would have to request this information via e-mail and send it to a specific e-mail. I have sent four different e-mails and I have still not received the information that I have been requesting, for over a month.

Why do they assume that at this late stage in life, that I would be able to afford an exorbitant increase in my premiums? If you’re a sensible and honest thinking person, wouldn’t you assume that the premiums would go down? I am now 65 years of age, retired and on a fixed income. I think we ALL know how this scam works: They want to force you to cancel your policy and it’s a win-win for them. They get to keep all the money that you’ve paid them for the last 30, 40 or 50 years. After all they’ve been using your hard-earned money to invest, grow and pay commissions. Therefore, we have insurance companies that are filthy rich! Do not purchase a policy from Primerica Life Insurance Company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I've had a policy with Primerica for at least 15 years. The rate stays the same every month and is drafted from my checking account every month. Thinking about increasing my policy. Would definitely recommend to anyone...

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

We've had our policy for over 15 years. Being prepared in case anything happens to hubby and I for the benefit of our kids is extremely important. The benefits and coverage offered far exceeds our expectations and knowing our kids qualify for a policy to cover their needs and the needs of their family is just as important. The savings and benefits are passed along to them as well.

Original review: July 18, 2020

My wife and I met with the agent for the first time in our home. This was pretty convenient considering we didn't have to drive anywhere. With three small kids it's difficult to round them up for an insurance presentation. The agent educated us on the importance of insurance as well as investing for our future. We ended up taking two policies on my wife and myself, and then later we opened an investment account. I like that they were a public company and they had a track record of paying their policies within 14 days.

Original review: July 17, 2020

I have a life insurance policy with Primerica, my agent's name is Nathaniel ** and his RVP/Father's name is Don **. For the last two years I've been trying to make policy changes including the fact I got divorced and want to change my beneficiaries. They will not return my calls or text. I filled out a beneficiary change form in March and turned it into them. The beneficiary changes were never made and that was over four months ago. When I contacted Primerica home office is when I was informed policy changes were not made. For some reason Don ** is named as one of my beneficiaries. I don't know how this happened or why the RVP would receive any death benefit if I died. Can somebody help me understand why the agents would receive a portion of the death benefit? I think this is illegal and action should be taken!

Original review: June 20, 2020

Had friends start selling for them. Wife and I agreed to listen to their pitch as they were training. They showed up with their "mentor". We sat down and after a few minutes of small talk, the pitch started. They started asking about life insurance and finances. Asked if I would be interested in seeing how they could help us save for retirement. I told them sure and then they started asking for money. No information given as to products at this point. I told them that my wife and I don't make financial decisions on the fly and that we would discuss it privately.

When I refused to budge on that matter, their mentor just stood up and said that we had nothing more to discuss. Meeting lasted 10 mins tops. If your product is that great, why do I have to pay to get information? I purchase based on the merit of the product. Without information on the product, I won't give a single penny. Still friends with the couple but the only way I see them make money is when they recruit a bunch of people and steal commissions from them.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I usually do not like to write anything online and put myself out there but I've read a few reviews about the experience that others had with this company. First I would like to say that I had an awesome experience with the company. I was able to get my policy and get the coverage I needed and then even increase it as needed. I just called up my representative and they helped me right away.

There is one thing that I really would like to point out. Some people say they think this a pyramid scheme. Well if people really think about it a regular 9-5 job working for a company can also be considered a pyramid. Every job has its entry level jobs then you work yourself up the ladder by experience and longevity. Then you get a raise or promotion and you move yourself up in the company.

Same as Primerica. You start off at the bottom then as you sell and recruit you move up the ladder. No difference in the area. The only thing that is different is you decide your own Destiny. The more you want to make then the more you have to work. But you get to make that choice. You don't have someone breathing down your neck telling you that you're late or you didn't do something right. You are your own Boss! People who feel that this is not legit or it's a scam are the same people who are not cut out for this type of work, also they may not have people skills and that's ok cause everybody is different and has different skills and excel in different areas.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Financial services. Primerica is multi level marketing but so are most businesses. RVPs have to put in a lot of hard work to get to their position, selling to their own Clients, recruiting, training educating. This is one of the best companies when it comes to training and being hands on, the biggest Employer of Women empowering them to be self sufficient. You are in charge of your own destiny within the business. Encouraged by a team, paid for education that would otherwise cost you thousands of dollars. It is a chance to run your own business and what you put in is what you get out, not for everyone especially those who do not like hard work, but those who do make good money.

Original review: March 10, 2020

I bought a policy with this company and a month later they declined my application after I had already given them 750.00. They returned my money in December. It’s March and I still can’t get my money. The bank advised they have a red flag on the check and they can’t get anyone to verify that the check is legitimate and that it’s truly made to me. I’ve contacted the agent and of course no response. I don’t care how high I have to go, but I’m getting my money back or they will have a ** storm of negative publicity on social media and a bad review to the BBB.

Primerica response

Primerica Life is dedicated to providing prompt, courteous customer service. To protect her privacy, we have reached out to Norma for additional information to address her concerns. Regena Wood, Primerica Life

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

After going to my first Primerica meeting, I could immediately identify that it was a Multi-Level Marketing company, or put into Layman's terms, a Pyramid Scheme. The people in your "upline" make all of their passive, bragged-about income off of YOU and YOUR sales and recruits. Primerica RVPs like to brag about how much money they make without doing anything. That's because they have built a hierarchy that recruits literally EVERYONE and promises them that they can quit their job and join Primerica for "unlimited income potential." You only make money if you recruit people, regardless if they are salespeople or not. The only way to make a steady income is to always be recruiting people, selling them a policy to make your commission, and then to heck with them. If they recruit and make you more money, then great, if not, you'll just go find another vulnerable soul to con into your scam.

For those in Primerica now, I am not some "unsuccessful, unmotivated" agent who just "didn't try," I actually made a couple thousand dollars working with Primerica, but at what cost. I ruined relationships and friendships I had for YEARS by trying to recruit people into a Pyramid Scheme. EVEN PRIMERICA STATES ON THEIR WEBSITE "From January 1 through December 31, 2018, Primerica paid cash flow to its North American sales force at an average of $6,069, which includes commissions paid on all lines of business to licensed representatives." So to all those "new recruits" reading this, the RVP in that opp meeting that talks about how many millions he's made from Primerica, be careful what you believe.

I could go on and on forever about how poor of an experience I had with Primerica, but if this review communicates any message at all, let it be STAY AWAY FROM PRIMERICA. Are there people who have done well in the company? Yes. They either got lucky or are great con artists. It's a waste of time, money, and relationships. For a company that talks about independence, freedom, and a happy life with lots of money, they sure know how to take that away from people.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

So a broker named Donya ** convinced my girlfriend and her friend to join Primerica's pyramid scheme by misleading her into thinking she was a financial advisor. My girlfriend being a first year college student felt very inclined to follow the guidance of this seeming young and empowered female broker. In doing so she was misguided and taken advantage of by being persuaded to join Primerica by paying a $130 CAD membership fee and a monthly fee of $28 USD. As soon as I put the pieces together I messaged the broker to drop all affiliation with Primerica after paying the initial fees, but the broker is no longer responding and Primerica is still trying to charge my girlfriend and her friend for a monthly fee.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

This is my very hard learned lesson! I didn't know anything about investments and did a 401K rollover to a traditional IRA (mutual funds investment) with Primerica. I invested almost $50K three years ago and 3 years later I made only $100 profit, and still have to pay them fees over that money! On the meantime Primerica made at least $6,597 in hidden fees at my expense! When I FINALLY woke up I was shocked! BE CAREFUL!!! DO NOT INVEST WITH PRIMERICA! I am not rich or young and this REALLY hurt me! Lesson learned: If you think education is expensive, try ignorance! My ignorance cost me lost of hard earned money!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

This is my experience I hope it serves before making a decision. I learned about Primerica from a friend and agreed to listen to his supervisor. I ended up accepting a charge to my card to learn more. I discovered that I am not interested in the business model, very similar to a pyramid model [although they deny it and theorize about it in their meetings]. I agreed to listen to an offer on life insurance and here again they charged me for analysis and for something else. They promised to return the funds if the policy was not in my interest. RESULT: The results of the analysis were never sent. They did not return the funds [until today]. They never sent me a policy. A mess of disorganization and lack of professionalism. They still charge me monthly for belonging to I don't know what. Although I have contacted more than four times to stop doing so.

CONCLUSIONS
    1- Sellers of Primerica. If you cannot handle a simple insurance policy, how do you think that I give you my contact details so that they are called on my name?
    2- There are people out there, who are not interested in your business model, just come to know.
    3- When you see it is almost religious fervor, hide your credit card because you can end up in a mess like I am now.

4- Finally there are thousands of ways to establish income through the Internet, look for information before falling into the hands of unscrupulous companies.

Good luck. Ferminius

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

We called my husband's "Friend" who said he had a great way for us to make money and a way for us to get life insurance. He apparently has a lot of money he has made with his investments. I highly doubt it is with Primerica. We trusted them and how we would increase our investments. Well, we started with them last year in October 2018 and it was now November of 2019 and everyone else I know WITH OTHER INVESTMENT COMPANIES were making money off their investments. Our money was losing. They knew we had no idea what we were doing with our money and they told us to let it sit there and it would make money all on its own. What a crock of **. Primerica Fees and their BS ate up any of our extras in fees.

We finally spoke with my brother in law who we should have just gone to first. We have closed our 2 investment accounts and we, of course, lost almost a 1000 or overall our investments. Now we are trying to roll my husband's SEP IRA to CS and of course, they are holding on tight to that money. This is absolute crap and now I am having my husband call again to get them to CLOSE DOWN AND LET THE MONEY ROLL TO THE NEW IRA. They also want you to work for them and they all brag about making money. You basically make money off the people under you. That is multilevel marketing and it is not a real job. Do not put your money with them. All of the good reviews on this are from the people who currently work with them.

Also, the "friend" could not even correctly fill in the paperwork initially and input the wrong birth date. I had to call and change, he also gave them wrong info so our SEP-IRA did not start right away because he screwed that up. This is not a good way to make money. Go to CS and you will get great customer service and will not hold your money hostage!

Seriously people, take these bad reviews to heart. We have 2 family businesses but neither of us has ever invested money and we trusted what they said in all of those 'cheerleading" meetings. It all sounded great. Except you never hear from them again after your money is invested, not even to see how your investments are going. That is not a company with your best interest.

I am now going to family who invests his own money and actually makes money like everyone else in the US. Primerica has horrible Customer Service also and every time you call we have had the rudest people. This company will eat your money. GO ELSEWHERE I WARN YOU. I am not a bitter employee either. I really feel this company scams people with high fees. We are now getting new life insurance and it is 75% lower too. I advise everyone to not go to a Primerica person as they are not knowledgeable about investments. Most are people off the street. Ask each person how much knowledge base they have. Did they go to school to learn about stocks and investments? Good luck to anyone who does go with them. We are still fighting with this stupid company to release our SEP-IRA and I am pissed! I am going to also make a complaint to the BBB.

GO to Charles Schwab or another reputable company with Brokers who have gone to school to get their brokers license... They also tried to increase our life ins policy from $750k to $800k and our monthly payment went up without even asking us! We don't need $800k. They do what they want with your money and it is way more expensive than other places. I am a Life Coach and I fear for people's money with this company! I am for the little guys who get bullied so go elsewhere to invest and buy life insurance. At least call other places out before setting on this company and get different quotes for life insurance. GOOD LUCK!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I was looking for a Life Insurance and I did my homework thru internet and local agents. Finally I met an agent of Primerica and she explain the different types of policies. Not only I got the correct Life Insurance (that cover absolutely everything), I got as well my Retirement Plan (which I didn't have with my own business). Regards.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

This company has become the most valuable opportunity I ever had. Since my journey in this company I have had the opportunity to learn a lot about finances and my life has change a lot since then. I am now able to take better desitions, save for my future and become a valuable person for society. Primerica paid for my licenses and made me the professional I now am. Thanks Primerica for such unbelievable opportunity.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

This company replaced my old policy for a term insurance life policy, I got more coverage for less money my old product was not proper & had exclusions. These guys give professional assistance & guidance.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

When I first signed up with Primerica, they told me my policy was for 30 years. A 30 year term life insurance policy is also the contract I signed. However, 20 years later, they are telling me that my term life insurance policy has ended. The copy I was given says 30 years, yet they are telling me someone in the office entered the policy as 20 years, and even though I have proof as to how long the policy should be, they are unwilling to honor their original word. So now, 20 years later, instead of 30 years, I am without a term life insurance policy. And if I wish to renew it then my rates are increasing by almost 50%!! This is absurd and ridiculous. This is how Primerica treats their clients. This is the kind of service that others can expect to receive.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I have taken the time to read over a lot of these reviews and I think that it is so incredibly funny what so many of these people have claimed. One said that they charged them $99 & $25, one question, if they were charging you, they could only do it, if you gave them your card info. Which means that you agreed to get with there company. Can't charge you unless, you give them the info to do it. Another one said that whole life was great and that they are only paying $68/month, clearly they have no idea how whole life even works.

Part of your monthly payment actually goes to the insurance, and the over paid part, which only happens when you're younger, is put into a bank account that only the insurance company gets, not the customers paying into it, and as you age, you are still paying the same premium, but the extra money that was going into that account is no longer, intact. They don't know it, but they are actually losing money from that account to cover the missing part of the premiums. So when you are 20, say the cost of insurance is $40/month, and $28 is going into that account. But when you are 60, the amount of the insurance is more like $138/monthly, but you are still only paying $68/month. So where is the other $70/month coming from.

What your insurance is not telling you, is it is coming out of that account, and once that money is gone, then it is taking away from the death benefit, so when you die at 65, and are counting on a $100k check, it is probably only worth like $40k. So many people don't understand insurance and that is exactly what these financial industry are counting on. And they don't want to tell you any of it, just let you find out when it is way to late to do anything about. Another says they drag out the death benefits, clearly they work for a competitor, or they really didn't have a legal leg to stand on.

When 9-11 happened, the very next day, they were the only company to even pay the death benefits. All the other companies, used a terrorist clause not to pay one dime, so many people had to sue the other companies and the courts decided in the clients favors, and yet, they didn't even give 25% of the death benefits to anyone. There are so many reviews on here, that it is very obvious to people who actually know the business, knows that they don't know what they are talking about or the work for a competitor and want to put up false reviews. And it is making other people who read these reviews miss out on good business.

It is obviously your choice, all I have to say, is actually know what you are talking about before you screw people who could really use the help. They are the only ones who will sit down with you, drive to your home, all free of charge and explain in detail, so that you actually will know how it works and how these other companies are manipulating people big time.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

There is nothing else I could say except PYRAMID SCHEME. Stay away from this place. Do not listen to their talk. It is just a cover up. If you know anyone in this business, encourage them to opt out immediately.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I have been an agent for going on 9 years with a very old and reputable company. I received a call from a 25 year old client last night stating that she was approached by a Primerica Rep to join the team. After meeting with them they told her that her agent was stealing her money by having a whole life policy was a rip-off. This WL policy pays dividend and will continue paying dividends after it's paid-up in year 20. At age 65 the death benefit would have doubled and the cash value is about $58k. I don't think that's bad considering she only paid $68 a month for 20 years. Primerica really does not understand (GOOD) whole life compared to say a Guarantee Issue policy. There is nothing wrong with term but where do you go after you've aged out.

Primerica Company Information