2.69/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

Primerica

Primerica, Inc. (Primerica) is a Main Street Company for Main Street North America. Our mission is to help families earn income and become properly protected, debt free and financially independent. We are a leading distributor of financial products to middle-income households in the United States and Canada. Primerica provides an entrepreneurial business opportunity for individuals to become licensed and distribute our financial products.

Through our network of independents contractor agents, Primerica representatives assist clients in meeting their needs for term life insurance, mutual funds, annuities and other financial products that are tailored to appeal to middle income consumers. We are dedicated to helping our clients and representatives achieve their financial goals and welcome the opportunity to address and resolve all consumer questions and concerns. For more information on contacting Primerica directly, please visit the Contact Us page of our website at www.primerica.com.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

468 Primerica Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I first became a customer in 1987 when it was called A.L. Williams and bought life insurance for myself and family. Then it was a 20 year term so fast forward to 2007 and new owners name change to Primerica and several different agents and I renewed for 10 years. Here comes 2017 I receive my letter for renewal. I called now another new agent I’ve never heard of and no respond. I called several times, no responds but finally he leaves me a message with the rates I requested. Tried calling again, left message no response, so I said, “The heck with you” and looked up another agent.

This guy was great but new, wasn’t sure if he could take over someone else’s account. I told him I wanted a agent that acted like he was interested in me, because that other guy could care less. He called, they said he could. We did the policy for 10 years like the other times. We shook hands. I left his office. 2018 I get a letter that says my policy is expiring next month, which I called the name on the letter and told them no way and why.

Long story short somehow the new agent made a mistake and it recorded the policy for a year instead for 10 years so now I was having a policy increase at 70 years old and yearly. My new agent went to bat for me telling the company he made the mistake. It was supposed to be 10 years, can they change the policy. They would not budge an inch for this man that worked so hard to satisfy a mistake the company employee made and they hung him out to dry. When a company will not back their own employees that tells you they surely won’t back you.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I had a Roth IRA and Traditional IRA for many years at Primerica. I was ok with a $25 fee charged to one of the accounts. But about 2 or 3 years ago, they started to charge $25 per IRA account. So that's $50 in annual fees, which is totally unreasonable. Recently I transfer my Traditional IRA assets to another company. Primerica charged another $25 fee plus $30 termination fee. $55 to close an account? What a ripoff! If you want to invest, there are far better options out there that doesn't charge annual fees. If you use Quicken, you won't be able to download the data from Primerica.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

My first experience with Primerica in Huntsville, Ontario, was finding out that they hire people who have claimed bankruptcy! How can you offer financial advisement to people when you do not know how to manage your own money! Go to a PROFESSIONAL, not these poorly trained, unethical vultures. The next encounter was a local lady who took my husband out for coffee to discuss his "financial needs". The next thing she was looking after his SEXUAL needs, and I do not imagine this is the first time. VERY unprofessional company.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I can't believe this company is still in business and people are still falling for their lies. About 7 years ago, I "interviewed" with them. It consisted of a group of people, I was 35 and by far the oldest in the room. Some random girl came in and started telling us how in only a year, she was a Vice President, how easy it was to sell to her friends and family, and everyone wanted in. I knew immediately it was a pyramid scheme, but I was already there, and didn't walk out right away. I noticed the room of "kids" were lapping it up.

Seriously, these other so called interviewees were barely 25 at the oldest, most looked barely 21. I have no idea how they even thought I wouldn't know what was going on. She kept telling the room how much money she was making, it was so easy, and she could barely keep up with the demand. She then "excused" herself because they were having an "awards" ceremony in the next room, but she had a movie for us to watch. So she starts this movie and leaves the room. You hear nothing but cheers and yelling going on in the "awards" happening next door.

The movie is all about how you could be unprepared for an emergency, so you need to financially protect you and yours. I'm still hanging in there, but it was more and more obvious it was a scam. Then, the tipping point for me happened. So the movie is all about what could happen, so you've got grandma in the hospital, the assorted car accidents and fires, the normal unfortunate events... And then a shot of the Twin Towers coming down on 9/11. Yep, that's when I lost it. I yelled "Oh, my, GOD!" and jumped up. I look at the room of stupid kids and told them it was a pyramid scheme, to go ask their parents what that was, and grabbed my coat and walked out the door. I then see a bunch of their "agents" in the hallway and totally unloaded on them about what a despicable con they were pulling and how they should be ashamed of themselves. I made sure I was loud enough so the kids could hear me since we all just listened to the "cheering".

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Someone working for Primerica signed me up illegally for an insurance policy. I don't know how this was done; I have never heard of this company before. I discovered that they had done this to me when I found the deduction when I checked my checking account balance. My bank is investigating the fraud. I am completely horrified. I am assuming it is an unethical employee looking for a commission.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Primerica?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Bought term insurance from them and saved over 60 per month! Set up a Roth IRA with them and has nothing but the best returns that could realistically be expected! Using the right agent/broker is key when dealing with them as one individual could change the entire experience that you have!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Do not invest your money or your time with this company. They are fast talking thieves. Invested my IRA fund with Primerica and took heavy losses due to their fees. They use your money to enrich themselves. They delayed closing my 401k account and continued drawing monthly investment dollars from my personal checking account. They are fraudsters. They use the new employees to sign up their families to steal their hard earned dollars.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I'm embarrassed to admit I knew nothing about investing and was fooled into joining Primerica. Had a "friend" who I thought was nice enough and trustworthy enough transfer my 401k from a former employer (30g) into an IRA with them April 2018 until now, putting in an additional $300/month. I've just now looked through my account thoroughly after continuing to see big drops in my total, more than I've ever seen when I was with Fidelity, and realized I've been charged a sales charge rate of roughly 5% on my funds, totaling $1923 of my money in 8 months. All front load, all into the pockets of their rep, on up the ladder to their district leader and director instead of into my future wealth. Yes, the market has been down ($4889) which will happen, but the fees has been 40% of my total loss, wiping out any dividends and capital gains I've earned.

After reading tons of investing articles, JL Collins book Simple Path to Wealth, and Jack Bogle's book Common Sense Investing, I'm pissed. This is why JL Collins says con artists are disguised as very nice people. No one cares about your money more than you. Never trust a "rep" trying to deal with your money. I've transferred to Vanguard. Highly recommend anyone dealing with Primerica to get out as fast as you can. The transfer cost me $85, and closing the account was an additional $50. You can then sell your funds to invest in index funds. The expense ratio of my index funds are .04 and .05%, so I would've been charged $19 instead of $1900 in the past 8 months. Primerica's expense ratio is at least 100x more. Ouch. PLEASE DO YOUR OWN READING AND RESEARCH and don't take my word for it. It really pays off, literally. I learned the hard way. $1900 is an expensive lesson, but hoping anyone reading this can learn from it too.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I am so glad that this company's agent found me! I was sold years ago by another agent from a different company of an overpriced life insurance stating that this is an investment. Primerica's agent have a big heart as everything was explained to me really well unlike my other agent before that even lied. Primerica even lowered down my home and auto insurance. At 65 years old, I have a game plan to be financially free! Thanks to my Primerica agent!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Just read and learn about Financial Services and then come back to write your review. I get all my licence in this company and there is no other company like this one, the best compensation plan, the best product and the best company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

My girlfriend's cousin is one of their, for lack of a better word, salespeople. She was over for dinner one day and started up her sales pitch and I immediately recognized it as a pyramid scheme. As she was going through everything they offered I really wanted no part of it but I had been looking into life insurance and I decided to see what kind of quote she could offer me. So she did some math and we agreed to $650,000 with a $15,000 rider for my girlfriend and 2 $10,000 riders for our 2 children. After filling out the information the monthly premium she came up with was $68/Month. I thought that was reasonable so I signed up and paid for the first month on the spot.

We set up an appointment and a nurse came to my house and drew blood and took a urine sample and everything seemed fine. One month later I was reviewing my bank account and noticed the premium hadn't been withdrawn. I thought it was odd so I logged on to my Primerica and noticed it said my monthly premium was now $171/Month and I was only covered for $434,000. I called her to ask and she told me that because I had a student pilot license and had flown an airplane, 3 years ago at that point, I was being charged an extra $2.50 for each $1000 dollars I was insured for as well as them taking the $250,000 of life insurance I have through work into account when calculating my insurance need.

I told her I wanted to cancel the policy because I was now being charged TWO AND A HALF TIMES AS MUCH FOR TWO-THIRDS THE COVERAGE. She then told me she would call her "boss" and see what she could do. She then brought some paperwork for me to sign which said that my premium would drop to $168 a month for the first two years and then drop to $58 dollars a months after. That sounded much better but I thought I could probably do better elsewhere. Upon further inspection I found that doing so would also drop my insurance to $125,000. I'm still waiting to hear back from her after telling her I still want to cancel.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

First and foremost, I have been a client since 2005. At the time I was 22 and my husband was 23 and we had a 2 month old baby. I was looking for life insurance when someone referred us to someone... I thank God he was a Primerica agent! We wanted life insurance but what we got was a financial education and an opportunity to learn how to get out of the financial hole we had managed to dig ourselves into.

The agent who came over to my mom's converted garage (which is where we were living at the time) is no longer in Primerica, but we have remained friends throughout the years and we love him and his wife and kids. They changed our life! Because of the education we received by getting involved with Primerica, we were saved from getting into the WRONG type of life insurance, we were able to pay off $32,000+ of credit card debt, we started investments for emergencies, retirement, and education. I had such an appreciation for what I was learning that I went out and got my license to help my friends and family. In 2007 one of my client passed away and, even though I was not actively working the business, I was able to deliver a check to that family. There is no one who can tell me Primerica doesn't work.

Primerica changes people's lives! The opportunity is amazing, for those who work it. If you are looking for 9-5 deal with a guaranteed check on Friday, this opportunity isn't for you. Primerica is for anyone, but it's not for everyone. Primerica is for people who can't stand the idea of living a mediocre life working at a j.o.b. for 40-60 years and retiring broke! Primerica is for people who genuinely love what they do, but want to make a bigger impact in their community while earning great part-time income! My one advice to anyone hearing about Primerica for the first time, or who is having doubts about moving forward, is this... GO FOR IT! The worst case scenario is, you give it a real shot and you find out that it's not for you so you stay where you are.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I am working with this company from last 11 years, and found Primerica is an amazing company to deal with. Yes it's vary from office to office and the person you deal with but it explain what rip off going on in market and help consumer to make right decision to save money and protect properly and offer education about money. Highly recommend to get involved to make financial future safe for you and family. Don't rely on reviews, find it out yourself.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I went to an appointment for life insurance. The agent was a former classmate of mine so I trusted her. Her sales pitch sounded so good I decided to sign up. Upon signing up I didn’t realize I had to be annoying and aggressive. So I decided to cancel. I paid $124 dollars and all they refunded me was $20.75. It’s crazy to me. I signed up on the 16th cancelled on the 21st. After all this the agent is still calling me to get life insurance. No thank you. Please be cautious when dealing with this company.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Scam huh? Anyone who would legitimately take the time to do their research will find that Primerica is a business like any other legal entity. My experience has been and I have been in the business for quite a number of years is that everyone who joins Primerica and pays attention to instruction will have the success that they are willing to work for. They will learn that at the end of the day, there are only a certain number of things they can control; more importantly, they should learn to control themselves.

A person can join Primerica to learn how to get out of debt, so they can save and invest their money and build wealth. To do this, discipline and time are required. Some people get a little salty if they do not receive results instantly or within a time frame they have set for themselves. It takes time to undo the mess that most people have made in their finances, but they want to blame the company because they won't do the things they are being coached to do to get the results they want; so they walk away.

What they don't realize is that they get to do this, along with their current job, which will speed up the paying off of their bills if they learn the skills necessary to earn the money. If they knew that without a doubt, they were guaranteed to receive a paycheck every day for their efforts, they would do what they are told instead of finding every reason not to. Let's face it, there was obviously something that drew them to this opportunity, which could be a business opportunity or just an opportunity to help them strengthen the resources they already have. Only that person knows why they got involved in the first place.

No one at Primerica is going to get mad at you because you decide that your goals and dreams aren't worth fighting for. And you’re probably still fighting but to no avail; getting little results, if any. Your upline just sought to find someone who believed their dreams were worth fighting for. Primerica provides a resource that anyone can use if they just learn the fundamentals of the business and follow the process. Too many times we want to control the outcome and if we can’t, we conclude that it doesn’t work. Don’t you realize that is why systems and processes were designed? It is because they work. It’s like a recipe, if you follow the instructions, the cake will turn out great. However, if you decide to add salt in the recipe where it tells you to add sugar; your cake will taste quite different from one that was using sugar.

Think about what you’re walking away from. Think. Think back when you were a little kid and your parents told you to do things you didn’t agree with, but they always tried to tell you what was best for you. Go ahead, I dare you to get disciplined about your finances and see if your life doesn’t change. You already have a job, right? And many of you have been earning money for quite some time and have no idea why your finances are out of control to the point you need 2 to 3 jobs to catch up. And this is all the time with some people. When are you going to get disciplined? Primerica can help you with that if you let them. The little bit of money you’re spending for a background check and/or a class is no more than what a security guard would pay for a security clearance or his uniform to start his security job. And if you don’t pay that fee, you can kiss that job goodbye too. Please, people spend more than $200 on junk that will never appreciate.

I’ll leave you with this; scams get people put in jail. Ask yourself this, why isn’t your upline in jail or better yet, the other leaders? Just make sure that the people that are telling you that this is a scam and guarantee you that it won’t be a good resource for you, are providing you with an alternative that will. Make sure they are prepared to pay your bills or at least help you because you can’t pay your bills with their opinion, you can pay your bills with money. Can you go into work tomorrow and ask your boss for a raise, or for the extra $500 you’ll need to pay on your bills, because you got behind last month putting tires on your car?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

In 2008, I became a client with Primerica. I have a degree in Business Admin & Accounting. I also held an investment license prior to sitting down with their representative. I say all of that to say this, the company is in a highly regulated industry and the representatives must maintain a license just like any other investment company or insurance company in order to sit down with you. It is silly for anyone to call the company a scam because it is easily verifiable by checking with the actual legal entities that govern it.

This ConsumerAffairs site ratings appear to be mostly disgruntled individuals who saw the opportunity to become a 1099 contracted agent (the same way you can work with any other insurance or investment company), and were not successful. It is an opportunity to build your own client base within an agency with the opportunity for ownership. If you go on to primericabusinessopportunity.com everything is fully explained and verifiable. Feel free to check with the insurance commissioner or the securities and exchange commission to affirm the validity of Primerica. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

I became a client first, and then shortly thereafter I saw huge value in getting all of my licenses and working with them on a part-time basis. It is a fact, if you don’t work then you won’t make money, but if you work then the potential for financial gain is extremely rewarding. I feel bad for the people that have given such negative reviews because clearly they did not experience Primerica in a way the company is actually designed. The company actually has A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. I just believe people should dig a little deeper into a company before accepting disgruntled comments as facts. For that matter, do the same with a five-star rating... check it out and verify it for yourself.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

This so called insurance is a nothing but fake. They will take your money and tell you it's safe when in reality they're using YOUR money for THEIR personal needs. I had an interview and they made ME and potential employee, put down $100. I ended up not going through with it because when I confronted them with the bad reviews that I read before, they just said it was their rival insurances giving them those reviews. Do not trust!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Horrible experience, no responsibilities... just to warning to everyone who wants to deal with this company! They took 100$ from my account for pre contract (or something like this) 3 -4 months ago. After that I told their representative I want to cancel it (even I didn’t make an appointment with Primerica's nurses) but after 3-4 months they don’t deposit the money and every time I calling them they saying that cancellation is on progress! I’ve don’t receive my money so far and still waiting for that cancellation! Anyway be careful with this company!!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I am a beneficiary of an IRA of a deceased person, I have gotten nothing but stalls from the representative and main company. I have asked for paperwork & they won’t send it out. They lie and say they did but they don’t. All they know how to do is take money & not do what they say they will. I would never recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I canceled my policy and I don't know how they took money out of my friend son's account. This money has to be paid back. I call customer service and they can't answer me. Your consumer affairs handle it. Your company is a bunch liars and thieves. Nobody should get your insurance. Why should I have to check a star.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been a Primerica client for 9 years. When I started I was a restaurant manager only making 30k a year with a wife and 3 kids. When I first met with them they did my analysis and showed me what amount of money I would need to retire and how much life insurance I need. As a lower middle-class person I had never had anyone take time to show me what I could do to get the proper plan for my family. After this meeting and getting my finances started I asked if there was a way to do the same thing. Of course they were thrilled to have a new recruit.

I paid my 100 bucks and started studying. I was licensed in 2 weeks and by the end of my first month had 3 clients and 500 bucks in my pocket. That is not the story of everyone but it was mine. 6 months later I quit my job and went full time with PFS. I was only 25 and really wasn't ready but I wanted the shot. It's now 9 years later. I don't work there anymore but they paid for all my licensed and education and now I make more than 6 figures working in finance without a degree.

Without Primerica I would still be making 30k a year as a restaurant manager and hating my life. Primerica showed me how to get out of debt, save my money, and change the lives of people around me. At the end of the day, the absolute WORST thing that can happen to someone who actually tried Primerica: they get an education in finance and a professional designation for their resume.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I have had my financial plan for over 7 month, and I couldn’t be happier. My advisor show a plan where I’ll covered for 35 years and will a good reticent at the plan with the investments. Plus they have lawyers, great lawyers. The agents have been great they are an awesome couple, they have been with me the whole time, they have explained me everything, and showed a plan a lot better than the one I had before. It’s not expensive.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I got my life insurance policy 6 month ago. I am very happy with my agent and with the service and product. It was clear and professional. I truly recommend the company. Buy term and invest. The difference is the best option for a financial plan.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

My policy has been canceled and they're still taking money out of my account. Try to call these crooked company and can't get through. I email them and no respond. I advise nobody go through this company. They're Ripoffs.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Been over 2 months and still can move my IRA. He lies about calling me back. Won't take my overnight mail. I just want my Cash... So what do you do? Who do you call? It's bs. It's my cash and he's stalling. Russell ** should be working at WalMart.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I watched as two friends I knew very well joined Primerica and went from making peanuts to both of them becoming multi-millionaires by helping other people. I cannot even fathom the heartache of delivering a check upon a death claim and seeing heartbroken families in desperate need of those finances, yet these two friends have helped countless thousands of people. One has been in this business for 26 years, the other for 10 and they're both doing so well financially by helping others. They own multiple properties in several states.

I joined with my husband at the beginning of 2018. In two months, by helping people we know with their life insurance and investment needs, we've already made around $10,000. I believe in this company so much because they do what is right for the client. They don't just sell life insurance, they do investments, mortgages, home and auto insurance, health insurance, debt reduction plans, smart home automation systems, identity theft protection and legal protection programs, etc. They care about people and I stand behind that.

There are always a few bad apples in every orchard. I've dealt with people who are completely inept at their jobs in every area of business. Some people are genuinely bad people who care only about themselves. Unfortunately, although they can pass a comprehensive background check you can't discriminate against people being jerks or idiots. Some people are desperate for change and lack the people skills and common sense needed to get them from point A to point B the right way. Some people are money-hungry, greed-motivated people. Some people just have rotten character. Okay, so, be realistic. Don't deal with those people. Just because one person was a ** doesn't mean the entire company is run by morons.

I personally know several very affluent people within the company and I also know many who are just starting out and haven't achieved any real greatness in Primerica. Some people work at this for decades half-heartedly and then complain they have no real results. Others become a millionaire in less than a decade, like my very close friend, and they do it by putting 100% into helping people on the client and recruiting side of the business.

Yes, it's an MLM, get over it. Yes, the people who work and stick with it rise to the top and make more than the people coming in. GET OVER IT. It's that way with Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc. - there is ALWAYS a top level person making more than all the rest; here it is not one single person, it is ANYONE willing to stick it out and keep working until they achieve that level.

Original review: July 29, 2018

My husband purchased a 20 yr. Term Life policy to age 100 with a disability rider from Primerica at age 38. At age 47 he became permanently disabled. At the end of the 20 yr. term the policy was automatically converted. He is still insured for $100,000 to age 100 and we haven't paid a premium for the last 13 yrs. The premium is $362.82 quarterly which has been WAIVED for the last 13 yrs.

At 65 yrs. his current health status would disqualify him from life ins. Know what you're buying and prepare for the unexpected as he did and you'll end up very satisfied, as we are! We have never had a problem with this company continuing to cover him or with enforcing the Disability Rider! Have absolutely NO complaints with this company or their service. I do wish though, that we could cash this policy out before my husband's death, without paying tax on it. The gov. should pass a law providing for this once you become completely debilitated, as my husband has. There wasn't a Rider for this at the time of purchase. Always take the Disability Rider, it's worth the extra $.

Original review: July 28, 2018

If I could give negative stars I would. In response to the person who complained about her 79 year old mother being escorted to the bank in getting a cashier's cheque. I know exactly how you feel. Although I am not 79 but was 52 at the time. I had funds in a holding company over a million. I was told by her Rosa ** was her name to transfer the funds into my personal name. My former husband and I were estranged and she said we would be getting a divorce and everything would be divided 50/50. We didn't get divorced till 2015. This transaction happened in 2006.

Meanwhile I was personally responsible to pay the holding company's income tax as this was the whole amount the company held. The investment was held in both our names but I had to pay for it. This tells you if a rep needs to come to you to the bank this is a pressure tactic. Let's not give the client the time of day to think anything through. As if I am unable to go to the bank on my own. Hmmm... She represents Primerica.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Senior Exploitation. My 79 year old mother was pressured by a Primerica NJ Reg Vice-President, Dorana Brunhammer. Her recommendations were unsuitable for a woman of my mother's age. The Primerica culture may be aggressive however her tactics, one of which included accompanying my mother to the bank to obtain a cashier's check from the proceeds of her condo sale, were totally inappropriate. All of this and more occurred unbeknownst to the rest of the family. In addition, there was no benefit to 1035 her current annuities except for the sake of commissions. As a result she lost her lifetime benefits.

Once my mother expressed her desire to take advantage of her Look Back, Dorana obfuscated the situation. It wasn't until my brother and I were made aware of the situation and became involved that my mother was able to cancel liquidation and contract exchanges which was not an easy process and cost her administrative fees. My hope is that this review will prevent this from happening to another family in the future.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I believed in the message and purpose of Primerica. But they drive their agents for sales and returns so hard that it's not what is best. I supported my (once upon a time) husband in his pursuit of success in Primerica, and invested much time and money into it, only to him bailing on me when I questioned when I'd get a return on the "investment." I made in him and his business. As a spouse to anyone considering this business, don't do it. It really is cultish and surreal. Yes there are "potentially" big rewards to "build your own business", but not worth it if you have to sacrifice your marriage, family, and friends. They'll tell you this is normal. It's not. It's never as good as they promise.

Primerica Company Information