2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

Primerica exclusively offers term life insurance through two policies: TermNow and Custom Advantage. Each policy includes term lengths from 10 to 35 years. Primerica provides up to $5 million in coverage and allows coverage until age 95. Primerica also offers coverage without a medical exam, depending on the plan.

BOTTOM LINE

Primerica offers term life insurance policies with term lengths up to 35 years and coverage up to $5 million. Policies are available for applicants up to 70 years old. No online pricing makes it difficult to explore policy options.

PROS

• Two policy options
  • Riders included
  • Insures seniors
  • Payouts in two weeks

CONS

• No online quotes
  • Only offers term life

Top Primerica Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Primerica?

I had a great experience with Primerica... I have checked around with a few other companies and this was the first one to explain to me the difference between different types of life insurance and educate me, friendly not pushy, honest and willing to get me the best product for my family.

I have loved my experience with Primerica for many reasons. I got my life insurance at the age of 47 and it was incredibly affordable and easy. 6 months later I increased my coverage with complete ease. The Customer service is impeccable and...the integrity of this company is like no other!

What is Primerica?

Primerica is a life insurance company that offers two types of term life policies for customers between 18 and 70 years old.

• TermNow, with up to $300,000 in coverage
    • Custom Advantage, with up $5 million in coverage

Customers who buy term life insurance from Primerica work with a local Primerica life insurance agent for a personalized customer experience. Primerica life insurance policies cover people until age 95, and almost all payouts take only two weeks.

The company provides agent information by state on its website. A Primerica insurance agent helps customers through the application process. To get a Primerica life insurance quote, you need to provide your age, address and gender and answer a few questions about your general health. Depending on the policy, customers may need to provide their Social Security number and driver’s license. Call or email a local Primerica life insurance agent in your city or state to fill out an application and get a quote.

Primerica life insurance policies

Primerica exclusively offers term life insurance and simplifies the process by providing only two plans: TermNow and Custom Advantage. Both options come with term length options of 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 years. However, only people who are younger than 45 are eligible for a 35-year term life insurance policy. For individuals 55 and older, 25 years is the maximum term length.

Primerica’s term life insurance policies have coverage up to $300,000 for TermNow plans and up to $5 million for Custom Advantage plans. All Primerica policies provide life insurance coverage until a maximum age of 95.

Primerica term life insurance policies include these riders to give policyholders more coverage:

• Increasing benefit rider: Increases the policy’s death benefit value by up to 10% for 10 years
    • Terminal illness benefit: Gives policyholders diagnosed with a terminal illness access to their death benefit to pay for medical expenses and care while they’re still alive
    • Waiver of premium: Waives the monthly premium if a policyholder becomes critically ill or disabled

How much does Primerica cost?

Primerica life insurance typically costs $20 to $50 per month for healthy individuals. Cost varies depending on the policy and the applicant's age and health profile.

People who smoke, have a poor health history and are older have higher life insurance costs. A Primerica life insurance policy with a lower coverage amount costs less.

Unlike some competitors, Primerica doesn’t offer a quote tool, so interested customers must call or email a local Primerica agent for a free quote.

Primerica FAQ

How long does it take Primerica to pay out a life insurance policy?
    Primerica pays out most life insurance policies within two weeks of a claim submission. A small percentage of policies take longer than two weeks to pay out.
    Does Primerica require a medical exam for life insurance?
    It depends on the policy:
    • To get a Custom Advantage policy, a Primerica life insurance medical exam is required.
    • TermNow policies do not require a medical exam, but Primerica does a background check to determine eligibility.
    Can I buy Primerica whole life insurance?
    No, Primerica doesn’t offer whole life insurance policies. The maximum term available for Primerica term life insurance is 35 years for people under 45. For people over 55, the maximum term is 25 years.
    Is Primerica life insurance legit?
    Yes, Primerica is legitimate. It’s a publicly traded insurance and financial services company. Primerica has offices in every state across the U.S. except North Dakota and has more than 130,000 independent life insurance representatives.

Is Primerica legit?

Primerica is a stable company that’s been in the life insurance industry for more than 40 years. A Primerica insurance policy is best for those who have temporary expenses — such as care for children or mortgage payments — and are specifically looking for term life insurance. Primerica is also an excellent option for seniors who want coverage, since coverage is active until age 95. Primerica pricing and quotes for term life insurance are not available online, but working with an agent one-on-one creates a personalized experience.

Primerica Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Primerica?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

Very happy. Actually received proper coverage that was tailored and right for ME and my individual needs and budget (more for less too) as opposed to what's better financially for the company or agent like others and that wasn't "too good to be true". Everything was explained in layman's terms and all and any questions were answered by agent who had my best interest at heart. Medical questionnaire etc was straight forward and not misleading or vague, covered a lot of things and nurse was able to came when it fit with my schedule any time of day.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

This is a term life insurance policy that renews every ten years. The premiums increase at renewal and is recalculated based on my age at renewal time. Because of my income, I have had to reduce the amount of the insurance. I started at $120,000 when I initially bought this insurance in 1989. I am currently down to $15,000 to achieve affordability. There is no cash value attached as it would have been had I bought a whole life policy. At my current age of 70, a whole life policy would cost more than I could currently afford. Despite these issues, this company was very efficient at paying me after my son died as I also paid his insurance premiums.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2020

My wife and I met with the agent for the first time in our home. This was pretty convenient considering we didn't have to drive anywhere. With three small kids it's difficult to round them up for an insurance presentation. The agent educated us on the importance of insurance as well as investing for our future. We ended up taking two policies on my wife and myself, and then later we opened an investment account. I like that they were a public company and they had a track record of paying their policies within 14 days.

Original review: May 19, 2020

I usually do not like to write anything online and put myself out there but I've read a few reviews about the experience that others had with this company. First I would like to say that I had an awesome experience with the company. I was able to get my policy and get the coverage I needed and then even increase it as needed. I just called up my representative and they helped me right away.

There is one thing that I really would like to point out. Some people say they think this a pyramid scheme. Well if people really think about it a regular 9-5 job working for a company can also be considered a pyramid. Every job has its entry level jobs then you work yourself up the ladder by experience and longevity. Then you get a raise or promotion and you move yourself up in the company.

Same as Primerica. You start off at the bottom then as you sell and recruit you move up the ladder. No difference in the area. The only thing that is different is you decide your own Destiny. The more you want to make then the more you have to work. But you get to make that choice. You don't have someone breathing down your neck telling you that you're late or you didn't do something right. You are your own Boss! People who feel that this is not legit or it's a scam are the same people who are not cut out for this type of work, also they may not have people skills and that's ok cause everybody is different and has different skills and excel in different areas.

Original review: March 17, 2020

Financial services. Primerica is multi level marketing but so are most businesses. RVPs have to put in a lot of hard work to get to their position, selling to their own Clients, recruiting, training educating. This is one of the best companies when it comes to training and being hands on, the biggest Employer of Women empowering them to be self sufficient. You are in charge of your own destiny within the business. Encouraged by a team, paid for education that would otherwise cost you thousands of dollars. It is a chance to run your own business and what you put in is what you get out, not for everyone especially those who do not like hard work, but those who do make good money.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

Primerica takes integrity to the kitchen table! Taking a buy term & invest the difference philosophy to consumers they do what’s right for the consumer 100% of the time. As a licensed representative with Primerica since 1997 I can say with all honesty that they offer a very real opportunity doing great things for people. They are committed to helping people get out of debt and become financially independent teaching common sense principles that work. I am truly grateful to Primerica for their commitment to doing what is right!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

Primerica is the worst company! My boyfriend worked for them and it was the worst experience! When my boyfriend expressed concerns his boss made fun of him. Told him that he wouldn't succeed in life if he didn't work for them. He also told him that he was settling to go to college. They were pushy and very inconsiderate! Primerica is sketchy and they hide facts from you. They also don't believe the customers when they tell them how much they pay for their insurance. I wouldn't recommend this company at all!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

I have life insurance with Primerica, I purchased when I was very young. I have regretted my entire experience with them since. Please do thorough research about insurance policies and your agent (or lack thereof) before getting tangled up with this very unethical group. Low morals, no communication, and they could not admit their years of billing errors. It's so disappointing that they took advantage of my lack of life experience all of those years ago, and that's the type of group they continue to be.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have had a term life insurance policy with Primerica since 1990, I was 35 years old at the time. The first 20 years, the premiums were very affordable, then in 2010 the premiums went up to $89.02. On September 11, 2020, I received a letter titled “Premium Increase Notification”. I now have two (2) options and they are as follows: I can choose a monthly premium of $423.80 (a 476% increase) or a monthly premium of $366.71 (a 411% increase) or I could downgrade my coverage drastically and still pay a considerable monthly premium, that doesn’t even balance out, considering the amount of coverage that you’re losing.

And by the way, if I do not choose a new payment option, they will choose the higher premium for me, without my approval and proceed to submit an ACH on my behalf, for payment. On September 11th, I contacted the company by phone and requested the following documentation: 1. A signed and dated copy of my original policy. 2. An audit statement (billing and payment history) from 1990 through August 2020. It is now 10/21/20, and I’m yet to receive either of these two (2) documents.

I have tried contacting my representative directly (John **) directly by phone and via e-mail, with no response. A representative on his behalf contacted me and I requested the above on three different occasions and she could not provide. She told me I would have to request this information via e-mail and send it to a specific e-mail. I have sent four different e-mails and I have still not received the information that I have been requesting, for over a month.

Why do they assume that at this late stage in life, that I would be able to afford an exorbitant increase in my premiums? If you’re a sensible and honest thinking person, wouldn’t you assume that the premiums would go down? I am now 65 years of age, retired and on a fixed income. I think we ALL know how this scam works: They want to force you to cancel your policy and it’s a win-win for them. They get to keep all the money that you’ve paid them for the last 30, 40 or 50 years. After all they’ve been using your hard-earned money to invest, grow and pay commissions. Therefore, we have insurance companies that are filthy rich! Do not purchase a policy from Primerica Life Insurance Company.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I've had a policy with Primerica for at least 15 years. The rate stays the same every month and is drafted from my checking account every month. Thinking about increasing my policy. Would definitely recommend to anyone...

Primerica Company Information