3.8/5 (938 ratings)

About Indeed

Indeed Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indeed?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2023

I'm a co-founder of a startup company, and we used Indeed.com for Employers to hire employees. All worked well for the first 2 weeks until all of a sudden our account was blocked with no explanation. I've reached out to the support team and they advised me to appeal the decision. After 30 minutes, we received another email that was saying - "appeal rejected and no further action required from your end".

Our account got blocker and we lost access to all CVs. We didn't break any policies or rules. We had only two job posts at that moment. I thought that it was a mistake and decided to call the Customer Support team again. They ran me in circles nicely saying "Your account is blocked, and we can't do anything.". They were useless, didn't help, and had no desire to check my case.

I got very frustrated. I called again and escalated to the supervisor on the shift and spoke with Ashley ** (**). She advised me to reply to the "no-reply@indeed.com" email with supporting documents about my company, to prove that my company is legit. I've sent an email to no-reply@indeed.com & ** with following document:

- Federal Incorporation certificate
- Ontario Incorporation certificate
- Invoice from my business insurance provider
- Certificate of Insurance
- License for Private College issued by Ministry of Education of Ontario

- Confirmation document from the Ministry of Education of Ontario

Ashley confirmed that she received the email with all my documents, and assured me that this email will trigger the case in their internal system, and it would be reviewed by the Trust and Safety team. She also confirmed that I should receive a response from the Indeed.com team within 3 business days - negative or positive. Ashley lied to me. It's been already 7 days, and my account is still locked. All she did was probably a nice way to say "** off, we don't need small businesses here."

I haven't seen the worst customer support ever!!! The company is a joke and discriminates against small businesses (who are not promoting job posts with paid ads on the Indeed.com platform). I'm planning to file a complaint with Trading Standards Authority and already contacted a lawyer to bring Indeed.com to court for such discrimination against small companies. I've done research online and realized that there are hundreds of cases like ours. Scam company, stay away from it!

Dmytro **
co-founder of Bukka Inc

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

Indeed made a sneaky change recently to where we started getting charged over $40 for each person applying instead of $25 a day which I have done for several years. So to my horror I got a bill for close to $2,000 on the company credit card when we usually run the ad for two weeks and get a bill for around $350 to $400 total and get a lot more people applying. I looked back to see if I missed something and sure enough they snuck in a change that made it look like you only have two choices, both charging $40 dollars per applicant with a tiny line below that says: "Prefer the old way with a link" Which I didn't see because it's out of the main view. This is designed to trick someone who isn't paying close attention and it's extremely unethical.

The owner of the company may fire me over this or pull the money out of my paychecks. He already screamed at me for the first bill over $500 and now two more have come in. I have lost sleep over this the past two days. I thought since I was just re-using an old ad we had on file I would be billed the same as last time. I hope someone can help me get this billing re-set to what it was in years passed at around $500 and refund $1500 so I don't get fired. So triple the cost and less people applying. We have always been happy with Indeed in the past. We post twice a year as each new season starts. I have already spent thousands with them over the years and hired many people through the service. This is the first bad expreience for me but it's horrifying. I'm sick to my stomach writing this right now and shaking. Someone please help me!

Indeed response

Hi Stephen, we have looked into this further and we can confirm that for the account in question, the account holder has already contacted our client success team yesterday, 1/17/2023. A refund and balance wipe was processed on the account as well. A confirmation email was also sent to the account holder. For any additional questions about the refund, we recommend responding back to the email. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

Get buying tips about Job Search Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

I wish I can give zero star review to that terrible company, It actually steals your money. It charged me close to 1k for 2 days' ads, and only 5 persons qualified for the job and met the criteria,, 5 interviews were accepted only one person show up!!!! What the heck are these guys doing? It is a total rip-off, I wish this company is being monitored. They will tell you if you reject the non-qualified applicants you won't be charged!! Really??!! Good luck, big lie. I wish there is a good reliable company to work with for hiring employees.

Indeed response

Hi Raymon, when a job is posted on Indeed it is publicly available for anyone to apply for. With our pay-per-application model, employers do have the ability to reject candidates within a 72-hour time frame. You can learn more about this here: https://indeed.force.com/employerSupport1/s/article/How-to-optimize-cost-per-application-pricing?language=en_US. If you ever need assistance in the future, feel free to reach out at socialcare@indeed.com.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

Our Company, PopOnSmiles, LLC, helps thousands of customers from home improve their smiles with our brand Pop On Veneers. We started our business during the 2020 Covid shutdown and have been fortunate to grow quickly now reaching over 150 employees, many of which have come through Indeed. We are proud of the team we have built with honest and hard working employees.

About one month ago, Indeed, without any prior warning or flags on the account, closed our account. A message appeared in my inbox that claimed we had violated their terms of service. No specific details were noted. I was shocked. Firstly, we’ve been posting jobs on Indeed since 2020 without a single mention of a violation. We have recruited hundreds of employees and have spent over $50K on the platform. Secondly, they made it clear their decision would go into effect immediately, without any opportunity to access our account or download our existing job descriptions. Thirdly, there was no clear evidence to support their claim and no opportunity to follow up.

We asked them for any information about what we had violated. Certainly, if our staff had made a mistake, we are happy to learn from the error and take corrective action to ensure it does not recur. But we were not given any more information. We tried to appeal the decision and spoke to a higher level rep. The higher level rep was very attentive and concerned about the INJUSTICE of the situation, but said that unfortunately, her hands are tied. She said there is no formal way we can appeal their nonsensical arbitrary decision. She recognized the situation makes no sense, since there is no evidence of a violation.

She admitted that often companies are WRONGFULLY tagged in violation of terms and conditions by a machine bot and there is nothing she can do to override it. She offered to have a manager call me, but I received no follow up. It appears we are at the whim of Indeeds injustice. There is no appeal system in place and it appears this is a FINAL DECISION that can never be changed.

Pop On Veneer is forever banned from posting on Indeed because a machine bot wrongfully tagged the account as violating terms & conditions, and there is no appeal process in place. Are we at the mercy of a monopoly that doesn’t care to have a due process in place, and can arbitrarily shut down an account that has always been in good standing?

Employers, if you are actively building your team, be very cautious and careful about choosing Indeed as your platform to recruit. If this happens to us, it can easily happen to other companies. Indeed will continue to lose a lot of goodwill as companies continue to flock away because Indeed treats their customers so poorly. We have now turned to Zip Recruiter and found them to be excellent. They are very helpful and professional.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

I have been on both sides of the hiring process with indeed acting as a middleman and I've found the service fairly useless. Whereas indeed cannot guarantee the quality of the candidates of applicants nor of the legitimacy of job vacancies, the fact that more people have not abandoned this service is puzzling. As a job seeker now they encourage you to take useless assessments that often are more hindering than helpful. They are an utter waste of time for both parties, ie candidates and employers. Candidates should refuse outright to participate in this new grift or contact the businesses directly as you often have to do even after all of the hoops the seeker has to jump through on Indeed.

As an employer, they entrap you with obfuscation to nickel and dime you as much as possible before presenting you with abysmally qualified candidates that I would suspect were solicited by their email program. Sadly, as the apparent gatekeeper to much hiring and employment, respectively, this is the corporate feudal oligarchical hell we currently have to deal with in a process that should be far, far simpler for both parties.

Indeed response

Hello Brian, thank you for reaching out. A member of our team has responded to your review by private message. Please follow up with us there if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't had any luck with Indeed. I apply for jobs and then no less than 24 hours later usually, I get an automated rejection email. I even paid someone who works for Indeed $19 (or something like that) to look at my Resume and critique it, thinking that might be the issue. They told me that my Resume looked great but they did give me a few suggestions to make it better, which I did. Still didn't change my luck though. I have gotten way more interviews with different job sites.

Indeed response

Hello Evan, thank you for reaching. A member of our team has responded to your review by private message. Please follow up with us there so we can further assist.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

I have spent one less than three hours on the phone and e-mail with Indeed to be told repeatedly that my post will be up in an hour. Still no post. You cannot speak to a manager; you must fill out a form and someone will call you back within 24 hours. Disgraceful.

Indeed response

Hello Catherine, a member of our team has responded to your review by private message. Please follow up with us there so we can further assist.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

Hello. I found a job through Indeed, worked there for several months and found the company to be abusive towards the employees. I can cite multiple examples, from ridiculing employees in public to being verbally abusive and others. Anyway, after quitting and finding another job I decided to warn others so I posted a company review on Indeed. Indeed censored and deleted my review because it was negative. Now I do not trust Indeed since who knows what they know and are actively hiding through the censoring. Maybe they knew it was a terrible employer to begin with and just hid the information. How am I supposed to trust them? I cannot continue to use a site that I cannot trust. I encourage others to only use trusted sites that publish all reviews, good and bad. Glassdoor does a much better job at this.

Indeed response

Hi! We have reached out via PM, please reply there when you have a moment. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

I have been using Indeed.com since maybe August of this year trying to find a good job. Entry level anything. I have applied for over 90 jobs and only got interviewed for 2 lol. I'm pretty sure its not the website, it could be the city that I'm in or just the companies, nevertheless it's just a very disappointing and discouraging experience overall.

Indeed response

Hi Sammy! Indeed does not screen candidates on behalf of employers so we cannot say why an individual employer may not respond to an application you submitted. While Indeed is not directly involved in the hiring process, we advise checking out this link: https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/what-to-do-if-you-arent-hearing-back-from-employers. For other tips please check out our Career Guide: https://www.indeed.com/career-advice

Original review: Oct. 10, 2022

We have been advertising for years with Indeed. We are a very small business that has been in need of hospitality workers. However, Indeed is not helpful when we reached out to them. We have received nothing but non qualified applicants. Most don't even reply to messages or come in for the scheduled interview. I received a phone call from a Bridget ** from indeed telling me that she was going to get us a credit of some sort to compensate for our loss spending hundreds of dollars a year and not getting the outcome of their services. I would never advertise with Indeed, I have left her several voice mails at ** her direct line and she has yet to return my call let alone a credit of some sort. As well as the emails that were sent.

We have scheduled so many interviews with no shows, applicants that live far from our employment, come in grossly dressed or poor hygiene not qualified for the position and most never make it past the interview. Those that do cannot get the proper license to perform the job. Criminal records that they lie about. But Indeed keeps sucking the well dry by not helping us find the proper employees. This is so unacceptable and I will let all our business associates know what we have personally experienced, Over priced and no return calls or emails to help us, Would never recommend this company. You're better off using the Facebook app. Kranky's Management is very disappointed in this company

Indeed response

Hi Susan, we are very sorry to hear about your poor experience with Indeed. We have sent you a private message to further assist, please reply back when you are able. Thank you!

Indeed author review by Anne Mercer

Since its founding in 2004, Indeed.com has become one of the largest job search engine sites on the Internet. Indeed operates in over 50 countries and in 28 languages.

• Indeed Resume: Indeed allows job seekers to upload their resumes, or they can build a resume with Indeed’s helpful resume tool.

• Indeed Publisher Program: Joining the Indeed Publisher Program allows consumers to include search tools on their company’s website. Publishers earn money based on traffic from their site to Indeed.

• Indeed blog: Indeed’s regularly-updated blog contains advice for employers and job seekers as well as in-depth information about global market trends. Indeed also has a blog dedicated solely to engineering. These blogs have regular postings to keep information current and useful.

• Job seeker profile: Creating a profile on Indeed is fast and easy. Job seekers can save searches and job postings, and, in some cases, they can apply directly through Indeed.com. Other features like job alerts and management tools help keep the search process organized.

• Salary and job trend analytics: Indeed.com allows users to view analytics from several different professions. Employers and job seekers can view this information for free.

by Anne Mercer Contributing Writer

Anne Mercer has covered a number of topics, industries and companies since she began contributing to consumer-focused articles for ConsumerAffairs in 2018. She has a bachelor’s degree from Western New England University.

Indeed Company Information