1.86/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

271 Indeed Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

Representative I spoke with reviewed ads with me, then she asked amount I wanted to spend on two ads, once that was decided on she asked how long I wanted ad to run. I decided on two weeks. Almost $1000 later I contacted them and was told employer has to enter end date. Indeed does not do that. I asked then how can she enter dollar amount and not end date as we discussed she never said I had to enter end date. I was told that this is a site employer can adjust (I was not told that in the beginning). I tried to go to link through an email to end posting and it would not take it. They got me for about $700 more than I agreed on. Please be aware of this.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Indeed is overcharging the clients for no reason. Their billing cycle continues even beyond the set date of publication. Therefore, when doing a job vacancy publication, be careful dealing with Indeed. I have faced this issue for the second time and their customer care executives keep on telling excuses. Pathetic and embarrassing services.

Get expert buying tips about Job Search Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 12, 2019

If you are looking for a job, and you are like me you are looking for something very specific. I am looking for a nice research job that requires a Ph.D., and a long list of requisites. The community I work in is quite small, and I don't know everyone so I still have to search for a job. No matter what, you will get subscribed. They will hammer you with "new jobs" in the area you looked. They will hammer you with emails about "similar jobs" and then they will hammer you with emails "are you ready to apply" to a job you saved, sometimes less than one hour previously. Each and every time I unsubscribe. There are jobs that aren't clear what they are, and I take a cursory look at them. Pretty soon I get reminders to apply, and search results for "Other jobs like this job you viewed".

All of this just clutters my inbox and is detrimental to a serious job search. I have a job lined up now that I found on my own, and I had one interview and 4 accepted (being reviewed) applications from Indeed. I started using Indeed because a friend who got a Ph.D. job through indeed, so it's not useless, just really difficult to use when random information is force fed to you sometimes hourly. Unrelated job leads, nonstop unrelated and reminder emails. It makes it very tedious. Indeed has sent me leads for Walmart, Dunkin' Donuts, and substitute teacher in the wrong city. PH.D. in a very specific field... I am not going to work at Dunkin' Donuts!! Been down that road before, in high school. Need a big boy job now.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We used Indeed to post a job with our company. We were immediately sold "up" to sponsored ads. We were being charged a fee for every applicant who submitted their resume to us. Based on their algorithms, we were being charged an average of $18 per applicant. Even though we requested the applicants have certain required experience/qualities, this was not the case. We received over 70 resumes but only one of those applicants had the required experience. It seems since the applicants have no skin in the game (they pay no fees), they "shotgun" their resumes to numerous employers with little regards to whether they are actually qualified. As a result, the employers pay a lot of money for unqualified applicants.

Given the amount of money we spent with no valued results, we were then informed it generally costs more than $4000 on average to secure a new employee. We are a business of less than 10 people. If this is actually true, this expectation should have been communicated. Given the poor quality of candidates we received, we would have been better off utilizing another platform like Craigslist which does not charge you based on applicant submissions. Our experience with Indeed was unsuccessful and very costly and not a positive experience for us.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Hello. After being contacted by another scammer from Indeed, I have notified Indeed of the bad reviews and scammers they are letting on this site. I’m fed up with being harassed by these crazy humans who are needing help with their own lives. I don’t understand how you can sit and scam someone but you can’t sit and perfect your resume to get a real job/career.

Anywho, if I do not hear from someone at Indeed I will be starting a lawsuit. So whoever wants to start putting some action towards these fake profiles and scammers, let me know. This company should have a team monitoring this website, but it’s very clear they don’t. You can’t find the “contact page” without googling it, which is another problem within itself. Like the company knows they have a huge problem that they’re drowning in, but seems to think it’s convenient to “hide” the way you’re supposed to contact them. So, to everyone who has been contacted by scammers, hopefully our days of unrest will be justified. I’ll keep you posted. Charlotte, NC 2019.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indeed?

Original review: March 7, 2019

Indeed.com your service is a just a front end for collecting personal information. Your ads are placed at the top of page and people think those are jobs, but they aren't. Just places that collect and sell personal information. This site and your business is a total scam and should be shut down. I am going to report my findings to the Washington State AG. Research some of the companies and see if those companies even have job openings. I did that because I was getting no responses from any companies and when I checked out some of the companies they were just fronts with a website, no job openings at all. If there were links to apply, the URLs went to another company, which after reading Glassdoor.com reviews, where just data collectors.

It really is the perfect way to get your personal information and sell that information to marketing agencies, collection agencies, government agencies and anyone that wants to know everything about you. Your name, where you work, where you worked, where you live, phone, history. No wonder they keep sending you emails about jobs... It costs them virtually nothing and what they get from you is more valuable than you could imagine. Do, not submit your resume to them. If you find a job on their site, call the company and send your resume to the company directly (only after doing a lot of research on the company). Don't be a voluntary victim, do research and then report what you find so that it can help others. Evil thrives where good people do nothing.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I am writing this review of my experience in the hopes that it serves to save someone from the headaches (multiple that I have had with Indeed). First, the site is full of fake jobs that lead to you serving up your cell number to a bunch of scam calls and telemarketers. One job posting even sent me to a generic form site that wanted me to send them a photo of my license and then prove my social security number! PLEASE NEVER DO THIS!

The second biggest issue I have is with the poorly made site and its comically screwball problems. Any time I update my info, it changes other things so that my profile became so wrecked, I finally closed my account lest it cost me a dream job down the road. Most recently, I added my own resume. Well, because I once worked for an auction site, it it listed that as job title, removing that I was a certified website designer and freelance writer. It has also removed work experience and portions of my education at times. Perhaps your experience differs from mine, but I would be remiss if I didn't share my thoughts on Indeed.com with you!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I am an employer with in-house recruiters. Indeed has scraped my website multiple times for our job postings and then posted them to their site, as if we approved them as a partner. We never gave them permission to get involved in our search! Since they've done this, they inadvertently distributed our site contact info to scammers and I have received countless calls, emails, and messages through the website from these scammers. In less than 24 hours, I received an influx of 100+ resumes. One person's resume listed over 10 banks and 10 tech companies. Why are they applying to my entry level roles?! I call the number because I'm curious and it is a deadline. I look up this person's name on LinkedIn and filter based on his "extensive" work history, and this person does not exist. Indeed, stop spamming employers and listing without their permission!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Yes! I think Indeed should check more to what employers they are putting up on their website. I was almost got scammed by this person saying I was hired to work from home. A woman sent me an email saying my resume was approved and I need to contact them through Google Hangout for the interview. I then had this interview where I thought I was hired; where she then told me all the benefits I would be receiving and my hour rate. ($25) and the next step was to talk with a training supervisor. They both told me that I would receive a check to buy supplies and materials.

The Guy that was the training supervisor said my work tasks will be mailed out weekly. I then have to message him at 8 am the next day to get the next step of my training; where he gave me a tracking number for a check and told me to contact him when it arrives. Then maybe a couple of hours later, I hear a knock on the door and it's FedEx dropping off a check for $ 3988.00.

I then contact him ready to get the next steps because at this time I thinking I'm about to start working and making money for this big company. I was instructed to do a ATM deposit to my bank account because it will post faster because it will take longer if a teller did it. (Days) so I thinking ok cool, but still feeling something wasn't right. I deposit the check and I let him know, he started to send proof of the deposit slip for his supervisors saying the money was deposit. And they want me to send record of everything that needs to be purchase for the supplies and materials to track the spending, but at this time I didn't tell him the bank called saying the check was fraudulent and if it went through I could have been responsible down the line.

The bank employee ask where did I get it from, I stated Heartland payment centers because that's who they told me they worked for. She looked up the company and that check had no dealing with that company and said that, "Someone is trying to trick you to give them some money back." I told her, "They said it was for material and supplies" and she said, "Have they ask for anything back?" and told her, "Not yet;" just gone play the role with them and contact her back on Monday since it was on a Friday to stop someone else from getting scammed. BEWARE.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

Their job matching algorithm is unrealistic, it’s like, "Hey based on your 6 month customer service experience we think you would be great at this job 'primary dentist at [popular dental clinic]' or 'senior executive at [big name insurance agency]'," basically jobs I would never apply to because there is no way I would ever qualify. Also I have binges where I will apply to 10-15 suitable jobs a day for a week straight and I would be lucky if I received an update on 1-2 jobs about the status of my application.

75% of the jobs are just listings posted there with a link to the company site but when you are aggressively job searching the last thing you want to do is spend countless hours resubmitting the same basic information on different employer sites, it’s kind of redundant to spend 6+ hours on only 2 different applications putting basically the same info about my work and education history on both just to find out 4 weeks later that you don’t qualify. Indeed is suppose to be a one stop shop for applying to multiple agencies as they always advertise however that’s not the case most of the time. My recommendation for that would be to force employers to first screen potential employees through Indeed so I know if it’s even worth going through the exhausting process of applying through the company site.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

When you pay for resume search subscription - they keep on banning you for sending emails to candidates for various reasons (even though it is the same job description they keep on advertising on their website). When reached out to them - they say they can't do anything to help you and send you a guidelines to follow. Excuse me. We are paying $3k+ a year... And we cannot use your service because we send Indeed messages to candidates??? Like wtf... Don't waste your money... And don't get locked it into one of their horrible contracts.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

It is brought to our notice that you have withdrawn money from our credit card to Indeed company without proper notification. This is a huge misconduct from indeed company. We only requested for one day support which was mutually agreed at a charge of INR 250. I would also like to highlight here that further to our discussion and negotiation prior to commitment, it was not communicated that the service will auto renew after 24 hours. However we would like to inform that the service requested was from February 12th to February 13th which is for 24hrs. If you are not giving any satisfactory answer, we may be forced for litigation and raise our grievances through social media.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I'm a small business owner with approximately 15 full-time people in Indiana. I used Indeed for approximately six months and was beyond dissatisfied. Indeed charged us based on impressions viewed of our job posting. Not by actual applications submitted. Most of the applications coming in we could never get a hold of the people. We would call and leave messages, email, and no response. Out of approximately 15 applications submitted could only get a hold of two to three people. Of those two people only one would show up for an interview. Most of the people on there are submitting applications so they can satisfy Unemployment requirements. It's very easy to submit a quick application on Indeed.

We were duped out of approximately $600 per month for over 6 months. During that time we only hired one to two people from Indeed. Absolute and complete total sham. I called Indeed on two separate occasions to voice my concerns. Neither occasion did they addressed my concerns adequately or suggest how something could be made different. Each time I was credited a measly $100. Still a complete and total sham. All employers please stay away from Indeed!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I do the hiring at our company and last week started to receive 40+ applicants a day in my email and coming in the front door. Turns out that JOB SPOTTER, which is part of INDEED, took a picture of our sign in front of our company and posted it on their website. I called them and told them to take it down ASAP. They seemed surprised that I didn't want people applying from their "ad". I told them I have legit employment agencies who do that for me. They sift through all the applicants and send me the ones that are qualified and at the correct pay scale. They told me it will take 3 to 4 days to remove the posting, a posting that we never authorized. This is NOT the correct way to win business over. The opposite is true. I would never consider using Indeed after this experience. This should be against the law and personally I feel that this is a violation of everything that is true and honest.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

It seems that the job postings have become nothing but database builders, phishing scams or fake listings to meet a government requirement. None ever reply or respond to an application submitted regardless of qualifications or experience. The same jobs posted every few days or multiple jobs posted by a company.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

This is the biggest scam going. They are charging my bank account $236 for a six day ad after the already charged me $25.00. Please people, beware of this company, it’s the worst. I’ve had several people tell me they had the same experience. DO NOT use them.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Reasons for my review stem from my experience and speaking with employers. First, they post jobs that aren't real. It's already hard enough looking for a job but applying to jobs that never existed is just wrong. My advice if you apply either follow up with the actual company or email them. I have also been told our resumes do not parse in format. So they just get a run on of words and they have to try and figure them out. I have applied to well over 100 jobs in my current search and not one call. Hard to believe not one company hiring or being told thanks but no thanks. Never hear from anyone. I only apply to jobs I definitely am qualified for. So this is extremely discouraging for me to learn what I did first hand.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

As other have posted here they do not have upfront pricing. You post a job as an employer and put a dollar cap that they can charge, from there you will start seeing applicants but then it starts to slow down with the applicants. I was billed $250 for the past 3 months and had a total of 3 applicants so I asked thru their chat to explain what I was being billed for as their invoices show no details.

They base it off of clicks to your posting, which you cannot prove in any way. Also I found out today that the listing that I am running that I first posted in 2014 was still posting as if it was from 2014 so applicants see it as an old post and don't reply, this ad was placed for mechanics, we are always looking for mechanics so I paused and restarted the ad as needed and did not know they had a post date shown to applicants. I feel I have been robbed $750 for the past 3 month for them posting the ad as if it was 5 years old, not to mention the past 4 years I have been activating it and thinking it was a fresh ad because I am paying for it!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Very bad experience as a potential employer with Indeed. Their business practices and fee structure are VERY SUSPECT. Fees made as unclear as possible... On Purpose! Employers - if you intend on using Indeed, be very aware that their fees and costs are hard to determine in advance. The company apparently uses credit card access to drive their profit-center. The ability to charge your credit card in unlimited fashion sets up abuse by Indeed and no incentive to reveal their costs honestly. We had to complain to both Indeed and to our credit card company before the charges were reversed. Obviously, Indeed hopes that most users will simply quit and leave Indeed with the profits. Beware...

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

As an employers it is so disappointing to post a job at twenty dollars a day to only get people who will apply to everything even when they aren’t qualified. Indeed has set this system up to take advantage of every angle and they know this. They force us employers to pay for their monthly service to allow us to search through resumes and locate qualified candidates vs the entire internet running up our bills by applying.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

This website is a complete joke. I do not know anyone who has ever used this and actually gotten a job. I personally, have been looking for anything I can do, full or part time. I am very qualified to work in anything from administrative, medical or security/law enforcement. I have been trying to get a second job for almost 2 years, I have applied through Indeed to more than 60 jobs and have had like 2 interviews. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I was told I would have a £50 charge. They kept charging me £7 a day for 2 months. Never contacting to say what was going on. Heard this happens all the time. Rip off. Don’t use. And the quality of the job applicants is terrible.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Recently my wife looked at Indeed when trying to get a job working with a local trucking company. She has been a CDL driver for over 35 years. There was a great local opportunity when she applied through Indeed. A response came over they do hire woman because it is male preferred field. I contacted Indeed to get the particulars on this company to file a complaint with the EEOC, I was given the following statement:

"Indeed.com includes all the job listings from major job boards, newspapers, associations and company career pages - the jobs contained in Indeed's search results, or linked from those results, have been created by people over whom Indeed exercises no control. Indeed's job search results are indexed in an automated manner and Indeed is not able to screen all of the jobs on the site." Basically as I see it they are search engine for jobs. Protect your identity and do not upload your resume, with all your personal information... You could be scammed. They verify nothing.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Beware - whatever amount you set with them won't be accepted and they'll just charge you any amount they feel like! First of all, I signed up to post a free advert, as is my right as they advertise this ability without any terms and conditions. After my first job application came through, Indeed then emailed me to say my advert can no longer be free, is no longer live, and has to be paid for, with no reason other than 'certain types' of adverts need payments. Annoyed by this, I decided to give it a go but keep the cost low, at £7 budget per day. Indeed calls the daily amount you set an "average" daily budget, as their way to make you spend whatever you like.

Approx 2 hours after I signed up with my card and set my £7 budget, I had one more applicant and Indeed emailed me to let me know they had charged me over 200% of my daily budget. Horrified, I logged in and closed the advert before it increased any further. I emailed to complain and essentially they don't care that initially I wanted the advert to be free, they don't have any regard for your budget and they give default answers. Beware!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Indeed seems to be a professional and an easy way to upload your resume and find a job. But that is so not true. I have been using Indeed for months with hopes. I am well qualified and skilled for the positions available that meet my years of experience. I seem to have scammers reach out than these companies. Indeed just sucks all the way around. Would not recommend using. Wouldn't even give them the one star but it is required.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Recently there was a job posting for PA (personal assistant) at Avant Garde And the Owner of this company is MR. Suneet **. They had called me for the job opportunity and this person claims to be in Canada. His contact number stated is ** and he took help of a girl whose name is Sudha and her number is **. Sudha had called me and mentioned the job details. After I got convinced with the job she asked me to call Mr. Suneet and have a word with him. After the discussion with Suneet, he told me to complete a project on one city and after completing that he promised to pay Rs.2000. As promised, I completed the project and when asked him the pay for the project completed. He blocked my number stating the project was not good and ridiculed my work. Indeed should definitely verify such job postings.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

As a recruiter, I do not trust Indeed anymore. At first, they were fine, but I constantly run into resumes that have the same exact text but different names and locations. It's clearly some sort of bot posting them, because they all seem to forget to capitalize their last names. I've tried to contact a couple of them, but they never respond. I don't know why anyone would post fake resumes that never respond to offers, unless it's Indeed trying to make their resume numbers look good. In any case, it's not worth the money unless you can find resumes that link to some sort of social media profile. LinkedIn Recruiter Lite is almost the same price and is a lot higher quality.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Please be extremely careful, Indeed has hidden charges and even with maximum units set, they will automatically over invoice and charge you! The website is poor and designed so make it difficult to remove accounts or change charge settings.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Indeed decided to post the career page on my website without permission. It literally bogged down my entire company for 10 hours and cost me who know how much money. We were inundated with hundreds of emails, the phones rang so much we could not actually get real customer call. My cell phone is on the site, my phone rang every few minutes and people would not and will not stop calling. Some people said they even had a big pop up that highlighted our company over all the others, and showed over 10 positions open for hire.

I contacted Indeed and the first time I called the person acted like it was a huge shock that my company just "appeared" on their site. Finally, many hours later I got a supervisor on the phone. She admitted that they have software that takes companies career page and put it on the site highlighting it as a top hiring company. I asked her if she knew the kind of damage it caused my small business. Her exact words "We do know that it hurts small businesses that are not prepared, but only for the first few days, then it slows down". How dare you, shame on you for your shady tactics. If I ever need to hire a company to help me find employees, you can be sure it will not be Indeed.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

We are Senpex, your corporate customer. Used you before as the recruitment partner, but what happens is you charged over even we didn't use you. So urgently if you care about partnerships and interested not to lose the customer, change your account executive and Sales Director George and Matt and refund our money you charged.

Indeed expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 2004, Indeed.com has become one of the largest job search engine sites on the Internet. Indeed operates in over 50 countries and in 28 languages.

• Indeed Resume: Indeed allows job seekers to upload their resumes, or they can build a resume with Indeed’s helpful resume tool.

• Indeed Publisher Program: Joining the Indeed Publisher Program allows consumers to include search tools on their company’s website. Publishers earn money based on traffic from their site to Indeed.

• Indeed blog: Indeed’s regularly-updated blog contains advice for employers and job seekers as well as in-depth information about global market trends. Indeed also has a blog dedicated solely to engineering. These blogs have regular postings to keep information current and useful.

• Job seeker profile: Creating a profile on Indeed is fast and easy. Job seekers can save searches and job postings, and, in some cases, they can apply directly through Indeed.com. Other features like job alerts and management tools help keep the search process organized.

• Salary and job trend analytics: Indeed.com allows users to view analytics from several different professions. Employers and job seekers can view this information for free.

• Best for: Indeed.com is best for job seekers who want to search broadly for employment and for employers who want wide visibility for their job postings.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs