2. Job Search Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.85/5

Unemployed or looking for a new career?

Find jobs near you on Ziprecruiter

Visit Website

Unemployed or looking for a new career?

Find jobs near you on Ziprecruiter

Visit Website

Indeed Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indeed?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Indeed?

Original review: June 28, 2020

Indeed is an important and excellent job search site, job board, website. I have been using it for at least 3 years and running now. It offers me a great deal of latitude and alternatives for searching various fields or industries, I.E. Employment areas and commensurate options when I am looking for employment. I have 5 degrees in 5 different areas and so I need diversified searches. The varieties of potential jobs in a area or field is excellent when using indeed. I have recommend it to many people looking for employment in many career fields and either full and part time hours.

Original review: June 27, 2020

I am a retired school teacher, but since retiring in 2011, I have looked for part-time jobs just to add a little extra income to my teacher retirement (which just barely covers my bills and leaves nothing for anything else.) I have found three different jobs through Indeed. I found a job at a discount store, an assistant teacher's job, and a job at an eye care center. All were half-day jobs with average incomes that filled the gap I was looking for. The discount store was a seasonal job at Christmas, but the other two were long term jobs that I kept for a few years each. Indeed gives you a very good description of the jobs and makes it easy to apply. I found that I can completely trust the reliability of Indeed.

Get buying tips about Job Search Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I love Indeed because it has an versatile app and is easy to navigate- it's very user friendly and I love that I can do different searches and then have the results sent to me. I also love that I can create and then download my resume straight from the app and the hints are also helpful. There are so many jobs listed there that I feel that it's a reliable source and will have real-time results for jobs hiring now.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Indeed posts job announcements and allow job seekers to conveniently type on site a cover letter. I like to follow organizations of interest. I have never experienced a rep to contact me about my application being reviewed or to offer supportive options. What I like best is the ability to navigate their system to locate job possibilities by typing in various words to search job responsibilities to see availabilities. The site is easy to navigate. The lack of rep support has been obvious.

Original review: June 13, 2020

Despite finding Indeed to be superior in terms of the quantity of job listings, I never did find employment from using it. I believe that was due to my looking for a part-time position and my not having sufficient technological skills. For example, I had worked as a medical assistant/receptionist for nearly eight years (that was my last job) and I assumed I'd be able to find a similar position easily. Wrong! The doctor I worked for refused to use electronic records so I had no skills in that area. Most every other medical practice required someone familiar with medical record keeping and that seemed to make me automatically unsuited. I can't blame Indeed for that because they did have numerous jobs that were listed and seemed promising. I just didn't have the right skills.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I have applied for job after job for over a year and I have never heard back from an employer. I have begun reaching out directly to the employer, only to find that the posting on Indeed is either outdated, or there is no position available. I have talked to a few employers that say they don't advertise with indeed, yet, I clearly see the position on Indeed's website.

On several occasions I have received an email from Indeed claiming the employer has asked that I take an Indeed Assessment only to find out after calling the employer directly, because I never received any responses, that they don't review indeed skill assessments. To date I have taking 6 assessments and have gotten "Expert" on many of them. Assessments are time consuming and can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. Yet I have not received a single response. Even more curious, I have applied for more the 30 jobs over the last 8 months and only 4 show up in my history.

The only contracts I seem to get are constant emails from India based headhunters and staffing companies that, while my resume is now private, are clearly not looking at my preferences. Each of them state they found my information on Indeed. Several were offering positions pay as little at $20.00 hourly for positions such as a senior analyst, Python developer, then claim that the client needs immediate hires. When I contact the employer (when the agent is willing to disclose it), the employer says they've never heard of the agency.

Indeed response

Hi Marvin, we are very sorry to hear about your poor experience with Indeed. We have sent you a private message to further assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

As a job seeker, I can say that yes, I was able to use Indeed to find, apply for, and even land a staff job with benefits. That was great! (and that’s why I’m rating them 2-stars instead of 1). Yet when that company suddenly laid me off weeks later over a misunderstanding on a mere training assignment with zero warning, zero benefit of the doubt, zero opportunity to change things moving forward (when I’d been praised for my work only days before), with no severance right before my benefits were supposed to kick in, as you can imagine, that was NOT so great. And when I in turn tried to post a review of this company on Indeed expressing my disappointment only to have Indeed repeatedly censor and keep coming up with new reasons not to publish my review, that was grating to say the least.

What were some of those reasons, you ask? First, it was because they claimed I’d made “references to other companies,” when the only company I’d referenced was the name of the one I was reviewing (and one would expect if you were reviewing, say, a restaurant or movie, it’d be understandable if you’d include the name of the film, dish, etc for context). No big deal, I substituted their name for “this company” and resubmitted. Next, it was rejected because they felt that one of my sentences was “considered as too strong,” due to how I likened the disillusioning experience of getting into a relationship with someone, only to later discover they were toxic/abusive. OK, so I checked a thesaurus, found some alternative words, and resubmitted.

By this point, I'd noticed— and eventually pointed out to Indeed— that the company I was trying to review, despite being a fairly large one with offices across the world, a company that I'd seen repeatedly posting openings on their site and were likely A) expanding or B) had a high turnover rate (which from my experience seemed to be the case) they oddly only had the same handful of largely positive reviews listed on their site, with one negative one (and the review I was trying to post wasn’t even as harsh as that one). I’d also noticed that the company in question seemed to have a lot more negative reviews posted on other sites. Well, Indeed said they’d “escalate” things and get back to me.

When they finally did, weeks later, they then said my review “mentioned very detailed situations and shared some details about the company that are not in the public knowledge of that company,” and both would be reasons for rejection. Well… again, it’s a review. And it certainly didn't specify anyone’s title/name, nor list company clients/projects, or provide specific dates/quotes (which would all understandably be confidential info). But it IS a review, so details/examples are important: if I’d mentioned, say, how a manager would email you an unnecessary/passive aggressive reminder of when an online meeting started if you’d logged in early to test your internet connection/audio as an example of them being micromanaging, then that’s relevant (and not exactly privileged confidential information).

At this point, I’d already posted my review elsewhere, because it’d become apparent what was going on: Indeed was clearly blocking ANY new reviews-- positive or negative— as an added bonus to my former employer for their business. They'd just keep making up new rules for what they found acceptable, keep moving the goal post. Now, were they obligated to post my review? Probably not, but they also didn’t need to string me along and waste my time (and based on some of the negative reviews I’ve read from employers who’ve used them, it would seem that there are better ways that they could be spending their own time than to put such scrutiny into one review).

Still, as long as my former employer had a job vacancy that they were paying Indeed to post— even if it was the same opening over and over again— Indeed could keep making money off them, and keep enabling them by rejecting, silencing, and/or gaslighting any honest reviews or reviewers that could make other job applicants hesitant to apply. After all, there’s no money to be made from a worker who stays employed, but from the applicants who keep applying for that position. It’s a complicit cycle, likely a conflict of interest too— and who knows, perhaps someday, some new hire will similarly apply to and be terminated from a company like this, fall into financial hardship or depression, and end up harming themselves— but they seem OK perpetuating it as long as it keeps their own lights on.

Indeed response

Hi Martin, We have sent you a private message to further assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I am a job seeker snd applied for a few jobs on Indeed. I never heard from and of the jobs I applied for even though I was overqualified for the jobs I applied to. I decided to call the office if a job I applied to for Medical Insurance Billing. The receptionist said they did not post a job opening on indeed and that a scammer used their company name to steal people’s personal information by having them apply to the fake job post. She said she reported it to Indeed who took the ad down, but the scammers put the ad back up again. Indeed.com obviously doesn’t confirm if the jobs are legitimate or not and lets anyone post fake jobs. Ever since that time I have been getting scammer and telemarketer calls from all over the world because of indeed.com. I wonder if the other jobs so applied for, but got no response from and employer were also fake.

Indeed response

Hi Amy, we take the security of our job seekers very seriously, we have an extensive moderation process in place that is designed to protect our job seekers and employers and ensure a high level of quality in our search results. We are always working to remove content of this nature from Indeed. We have reached out to you by private message to gather more details so we can ensure this is investigated. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

From my experience, and the reviews of job seekers and job posters, Indeed is not dealing honestly with either job seekers or job posters. Indeed promises jobs to seekers, but they post and repost and repost jobs that are stale and probably not available, so you waste your time with resumes and cover letters. Those who post jobs are being overcharged because Indeed does no qualifying of seekers so many seekers click who have no intention of applying. Indeed posts a little blurb of a job where you can click to see more, and I bet that when you click to see more the job poster is charged.

Indeed also does not always post the name of the employer so you can't research the employer, as you should to be a good applicant. Also, Indeed is not following the law in my state, Colorado, because Colorado has a law that requires all job postings to have a salary range and benefits posted, and Indeed does not always include these things. When I complained to Indeed, they said they are not responsible for what the employers post, (a cheap cop out) and that they get many of their postings from other sites, which is dishonest, so I don't recommend Indeed.

Indeed response

Hello Hugh, thank you for sharing your experience with us and we'd like to help. A member of our team has responded to your review by private message. Please follow up with us there so we can further assist.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
      Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

I really like Indeed but some companies that advertise want you to take an assessment test and none of the browsers support these tests. Waste of time. And when you message the company as I did you get a response of "Best regards". Whatever that means.

Indeed response

Hello Laura, thank you for reaching out and we're happy to help! A member of our team has responded to your review by private message. Please follow up with us there so we can further assist.

Indeed author review by ConsumerAffairs

Since its founding in 2004, Indeed.com has become one of the largest job search engine sites on the Internet. Indeed operates in over 50 countries and in 28 languages.

• Indeed Resume: Indeed allows job seekers to upload their resumes, or they can build a resume with Indeed’s helpful resume tool.

• Indeed Publisher Program: Joining the Indeed Publisher Program allows consumers to include search tools on their company’s website. Publishers earn money based on traffic from their site to Indeed.

• Indeed blog: Indeed’s regularly-updated blog contains advice for employers and job seekers as well as in-depth information about global market trends. Indeed also has a blog dedicated solely to engineering. These blogs have regular postings to keep information current and useful.

• Job seeker profile: Creating a profile on Indeed is fast and easy. Job seekers can save searches and job postings, and, in some cases, they can apply directly through Indeed.com. Other features like job alerts and management tools help keep the search process organized.

• Salary and job trend analytics: Indeed.com allows users to view analytics from several different professions. Employers and job seekers can view this information for free.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team