1.30/5
Based on 126 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Texas Workforce Commission

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 22, 2017

157 Texas Workforce Commission Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I was recently terminated due to workforce reduction, and I tried to apply for unemployment online. I received a message that I had to call them, so I have tried ALL day. I keep getting a message that due to the high call volume, they cannot handle my call. How in the heck am I supposed to apply for the benefits I need??? There should be another resource to get the application in, so I do not lose my apartment and car due to not being able to acquire the benefits I need to survive while I search for a new job.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I applied for unemployment benefits thru TX Workforce Commission after successfully finishing a one-year contract for a staffing agency (working on site for a credit union) on May 31, 2017. Since I followed all the rules and the agency had not been able to place me in a new position by the end of June, I assumed my benefits would be an easy thing to get.

I got a voicemail message to call case worker "Debbie" to discuss my case and did so immediately, twice. When she finally called back days later, I honestly thought I was speaking to a robotic automated message at first. Having been in customer service for over 20 years, I know how to speak to someone on the phone, especially when that person is going thru a difficult time. You must show empathy and compassion. It became immediately obvious to me that no one monitors the case worker phone calls because this woman is really rude and condescending. I am sure she has never heard of the word compassion.

On this first call she asked me why I turned down a "job offer" from the staffing agency in the 2nd week of June. I was confused because I had not received any job offers. She repeated the question with more impatience. I finally realized she was talking about a call I had received from the agency supervisor where she herself said, "You probably don't want to consider this job because it's almost 20 miles from your home, is temporary, and pays only $11-12 an hour." I had been receiving $17 an hour as an Administrative Specialist and drove 10 minutes to the job site so I did tell her "No, thank you."

At this point Debbie said, "So you turned down this job offer because it was farther than you wanted to travel or was it the money?” I answered "Both" which really seemed to anger her. She then lectured me about how she commutes 45 minutes every day and I shouldn't be turning down a job offer just because it wasn't the same money I had been receiving. I tried to tell her that making $11 an hour while commuting for more than an hour would end up netting me minimum wage after gas and car expenses, and that I would risk being late to work every day. Then I explained to her that the staffing agency was not offering me employment, but simply letting me know there was an opening. She told me they considered it a job referral or job offer.

How insane is it that a case worker in this line of work doesn't know the difference? The outcome of that upsetting call was that she only awarded me 1 week of benefits instead of the 2 weeks I deserved. I am not a weepy sort of person but I really cried after that call. To be at such a low point in my life and be spoken to as if I was doing something wrong is truly awful. Shameful treatment of someone who has worked all her life and now finds herself in very depressing time.

On July 16 I requested benefits online and truthfully reported that I had been offered a job on July 11, but it was for part-time and no benefits. I wrote in great detail that I was also interviewed on July 11 by another company with a good full-time position with benefits. I turned down the part-time job because I was about to have a 2nd and 3rd interview with the other company and getting this full-time job was very promising. Unfortunately the employer said they had to put a hold on hiring and that I should check back in September or October. I continued my job search but I’m still unemployed and continued to request benefits. I received benefits the rest of July and well into August.

On August 29 I was forced to speak to Debbie again. I had no clue why she would be calling. Come to find out she was asking me to explain myself regarding turning down the part-time job. It took her 44 days to get around to following up. She never bothered to read my online explanation so I repeated what happened. She asked, "Are you working now?" I could feel the anger rising in me again because this woman does not listen to me, but I stayed calm and said, "No. Like I said, the job has been put on hold." She abruptly finished the call in her robotic tone so I thought I could get back to finding a job with a little bit of unemployment benefits to help pay for my gas, cell phone bill, and some groceries.

The next day I was shocked to find that I received several notices from TX Workforce Commission. What now? The first stated I had been disqualified from benefits because I turned down employment. The next notice stated I was overpaid $1,868 and that I would not be receiving any further benefits until I paid them back. The 3rd notice was a payment coupon with instructions to send the check for $1,868 immediately. I was in complete disbelief!

This is what telling the truth got me. I wrote my appeal immediately and stated why it made no financial sense for me to accept the part-time job that would net me $149.50 a week after taxes and Obamacare medical insurance. I can't help support my family with that paycheck. I also mentioned that at no time was I told that if I turned down any offer of employment no matter how minimal that I would be disqualified for unemployment benefits.

I included "This wouldn't have been an issue if Debbie had done her job in a timely manner and not waited over 6 weeks to call me". I ended it by stating I am unable to pay them because I am unemployed. Jeez, duh! So she was able to add more misery to my life and I'm sure she slept just fine afterward. After reading the comments on this ConsumerAffairs website I realize I will undoubtedly lose my appeal.

I did nothing wrong and I deserved those benefits. I have been killing myself sending out my resume, calling and writing prospective employers, joining 2 more staffing agencies, and going on interviews that end in the same "Sorry" answer. It is getting harder and harder to stay upbeat and positive. It is so depressing.

By the way, according to the mission statement on the TX Workforce Commission site they are committed to "Promote and support a workforce system that creates value and offers the individual the opportunity to achieve and sustain economic prosperity". Nothing could be further than the truth!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I was terminated from employment 8/1/17. Waited two weeks of back and forth review of claim. The claim was denied. Vague reasons given just to get to use the word misconduct even know there was no evidence. Appeal takes 6 to 8 weeks. No benefits until hearing determination. The bottom line is that I cannot claim benefits that I am entitled to. Not receiving claims will cause me financial harm. Have to hire an attorney. Unemployment is supposed to be a bridge between jobs. TWC has washed out that bridge making a bad situation much worse. Contacting the Governor.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Here's the bottom line, they will not accept your claim if you are not laid off for any reason. I had to quit my job as my wife moved and got a new career job and because we have been taking care of a terminally ill person in our immediate family every day. Those are two qualifying items and I VERIFIED WITH THE commission before quitting. To make a story short, they denied my request and appeal. Straight up liars. It's also impossible to get into contact with anyone. In the meantime I've decided to start a 4 year college degree because I am still young, and I've got a lot of money in a savings account. I'm not too angry because of that, but I can never rely on Texas giving me a boost to find another job because of impossible circumstances.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Filed for unemployment May 26, 2017 and have not received any funds. I tried calling on Monday for 1 hr. and 45 minutes and could not get through. This morning I received at call at 7:13 a.m. from Eli ** with the Texas Workforce Commission. I kept him on the line while I Googled the phone number he was calling from. Nothing would come up. The only information he got from me was my birthday which isn't that big a deal. The number he called from was 210-258-6845. He also told me to call 1-800-819-9146, ext. ** at 8:00 a.m. When I Google that number it is suspicious also.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Texas Workforce Commission?

Original review: June 26, 2017

To whomever can make a change. I am writing my story because I am training for a job to drive a school bus in the city of Houston. I am in a work searching program entitled Workforce Solution which requires me to submit what they call a job search log to be part of their program. I have to submit my log only between the hours 8 am to noon every Monday. When I get to the place they make me wait more than 3 hours just to see a worker for submitting my work hours log and because of that I missed my job training in several occasions.

Now this place has become an obstacle for me to finish my driving training which is 4 hours every for 5 days a week and to start a new job. I am writing my complain because many people are complaining about this institution and in some occasions people wait more than 4 hours to be seeing by someone, the service is poor, and they have many paperwork to complete and submitted which cause lots of wasted time to the public and abstract people to get a job.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I have worked my entire life... Paid, Lord only knows how much, in taxes. I lost my job after 17 years of employment. Filed for unemployment benefits & almost 8 weeks later it's still pending! There's been no contact or explanation of status. The loss of a job and all income is too serious to have such poor turnaround time from this agency. My daughter & I could go homeless & starving before I ever hear a word from Texas Workforce. Beyond ridiculous!

Original review: June 22, 2017

Problematic at every point with little to no cooperation. Impossible to talk to an actual person on the phone. Teleserv very one dimensional with little detail regarding account. Declined payment requests with very vague reasoning to why (probably because 9/10 times you can't talk to an actual person about your issues). Appeal processes ("It may take six to eight weeks to receive a hearing information packet with information about your appeal. TWC will mail you the packet five to 10 days before your hearing." This is what I was actually told after trying to file an appeal. Unacceptable for someone who is counting on Unemployment to pay bills.)

Correspondence mailbox (TWC's own email system) is down too often and I can't check on information they are sending. I don't receive anything in the via physical mail which I wanted to address, but again, I can't get in actual contact with anyone via the phone numbers the website provides. The two times I was able to talk to a person I was treated horribly. I'm not happy I'm utilizing unemployment. I'm not happy my job of 9 years laid me off and I'm struggling to find work. It's very good that I have thick skin because it would seem the people who talk on the phone despise the callers and look down on us. I felt like I should be ashamed for requesting payment from a system I've gladly paid into for almost a decade.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I submitted a unemployment claim 3-6-17. Did not receive my first check for 5 weeks. Then the employer appealed and I did not receive a letter from TWC requesting my attendance for the appeal. The TWC is incompetent and do not return phone calls. The mail they send out does not correlate with what they have online. Very unprofessional and slow to get anything accomplished.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

I have been visiting the Texas Workforce in Houston Texas since 2012. I first began visiting at the 1960 location and I am now currently at the Northline Commons location. The staff at both locations seem to think it is okay embarrass as the staff put it, the patrons that visit. If I just told you, you probably wouldn't believe it. I had to tell my investigator to come sit in the build for himself and see. The location is 4400 A North Freeway, Houston, Texas 77022. The phone number is 713-692-6131. The way that this location is ran is absolutely horrific. So bad to the point the monitor the patron computer activity from other computers in the building and if you so happen to be working on something that is proprietary they talk about it loud amongst on another as if to be humorous but it not.

I lost a deal for my business and a logo for my tailgate tags. They actual have all my personal business be talked about, and none of it is their business at all. I don't know the staff at this location outside of a hello. And that have not business regarding me as if we are long time friends because we are NOT... They have gotten so comfortable with the computer hacking that they have started take up money in bets when I get there. "Let's see how much money she gonna make us today, she ain't gon' say nothing." When I get on the phones to call my lawyer they intercept my call and actually have the audacity to let me know that they are intercepting my calls. Especially the tall ** women with the short hair and glasses... I'm just making sure I have a legitimate reason to sue them!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

This is one of the worst agencies outside of the Dept of Family and Protective Services!!! I am the victim of identity theft and it was reported to them in 2012, but of course they did absolutely nothing until IRS got involved and deemed it as such. They even allowed someone to use my information to not only work in Tx but California as well, and are forcing me to pay them back money that's not owed to them! But thank God the judicial system works in my favor because you are being sued!!!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

Long story, I will cut as short as possible. This is a 3 year situation and in the end we had to move because of my health. Moved into Condo unit with parking and steps immediately in front of unit. As we brought before it was built we were not aware of the steps and parking situation. As I am a severe heart patient getting around parked cars and then up steps was a major issue. The McKinney ER people had a hard time trying to get me out of the unit the day I had a heart attack. That alone caused stress for me should it happen again. We asked the "builder HOA" to allow a no parking spot for me so I could get to my unit and then install a chair lift to accommodate my health needs. The builder HOA turned me down many times. I went to the City of McKinney and they could not do anything for me.

As my situation became more serious I went to HUD. As I felt that I was discrimination against personally plus health wise by refusing a minor accommodation for my health. HUD sent me to Texas Workforce. The investigator really was a great help and understood and saw the problem first hand. However Texas Workforce sided with the builder who said: "Anyone would have a problem getting around the park cars." Based on that statement I was yet discriminated against again by the TWF where I had been sent for help. Not only was I discriminated against because of my health need but then sold out by the department that was to help me.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I can log in but cannot make a claim because my social security # seems to be tied up. I went to my local office and they said it could only be resolved by calling Austin. I called 30 times Friday, 41 times Monday and I'm up to 19 so far today. The local WF office gave me these "special" instructions where I could at least get in a waiting line. That does not even work. Now, if and when I do finally get through to a person that can actually fix my problem I would bet they'll tell me I'm out of luck for this week's claim because I did not get it filed on Tuesday. I understand if they are swamped but this is ridiculous. This is obviously the most understaffed and poorly managed institution in the state.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2016

Texas Workforce Commission has no boundaries and operates with total impunity. Judgments pertaining to appeals are a kangaroo court system. In my case, I was awarded UI benefits from a legitimate layoff, in 2009. After 3 months of actively seeking work (but not finding anything - whatsoever) I tried to take a CNA training course. TWC immediately terminated all UI benefits on grounds that I "was not actively seeking employment." My mistake was truthfully reporting my actions. Next, I accepted a job at a Texas nursing home. The agreement was for part-time work with training to pass the required state board exams. But all I did was lift obese residents - all day. The nursing home never provided any training and scheduled me for 60 hour weeks. Of course the hours over 40 per week were carefully scheduled to prevent overtime.

Luckily, I found other work, but the damage was already done. TWC called the nursing home and allegedly spoke to a "manager" who claimed that I quit because, "I made more $$$ sitting at home." TWC used these unsubstantiated statements to award themselves $2300 in overpayments. These overpayments are based on a time period which preceded the training class and the brief period where I was "employed" by the nursing home. Note, as soon as I reported taking a class, UI benefits ceased.

TWC supposedly spoke to someone from the nursing home, but were totally unable to verify exactly who this person was. It could have been anyone, from anywhere. TWC ruled against my appeal (big surprise) and had 3 years in which to garnish wages or seize bank accounts. TWC took no action until 2016. Now, after a full year of unemployability, TWC has seized my entire bank account - a whopping $508. What am I supposed to eat? Thanks for reading my rant. Changing my name to "Better Off Dead".

Original review: Oct. 15, 2016

I have been unemployed since August 4, 2016 and filed for benefits on the 8th. After eventually receiving a voicemail from a worker on a Friday I was given til tues at 10 am to call back. I called back three times and left messages only to get a disqualification of benefits in the mail stating I had quit my job when I was actually terminated via email and was in the middle of lawsuits related to this. The caseworker claims that I never called him. So I appealed the decision and awaited for my hearing only to register and await the call of someone else telling me my hearing officer was unavailable to conduct my hearing and it would have to be rescheduled. I waited another two weeks to receive another packet and then two more weeks for my rescheduled hearing date.

Mind you I'm still unemployed and not receiving any money for any bills with three kids to care for. So appeal hearing date #2 arrives, I register online and wait... My phone rings, I answer only to hear the exact same voice as before telling me the exact same excuses as before. At my own fault I was unaware that during this process I was still required to request payment for benefits in which I was and still am being denied. I filed a late payment request from the advice of tele-serv and was disqualified for those as well. The TWC has become the biggest joke for workers who are actually trying to do right. I know several people who get benefits that definitely shouldn't and then those that actually should get screwed around. No wonder the good quality workers are few and far between. Ridiculous!! I say we contact Greg Abbott with our complaints!!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

I came in to speak with a representative. It took almost an hour and a half to be seen. The problem used to be less employees more job seekers, but now it's more employees and no one seem to be helping anyone. They're just in their cubicles doing everything else but helping job seekers. They're talking to other co workers going back and forth into the staff room, but not assisting.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

In Jan 2009 I became unemployed through a reduction in force by my former employer. TWC didn't want you to come in person to apply for benefits they sent me letter that gave you a phone number to call, and it was always busy. This went on for over a week. If it wasn't for a lady in Austin who I contacted in desperation to get me into the TWC system, I may have never received the benefits I was qualified for. Also the Work in Texas website was then a complete joke. With so many glitches it was virtually non-functional... and often jobs I found there were outdated or had expired but were still shown as viable opportunities. And recently I found it to be not much better now. Often jobs are listed through "employment agencies" which in my experience are also a joke. I never got a job through one. And I tried many times.

Back in the day, in the 1970's and 80's it was called the Texas Employment Commission, and you could go in and register for work/job even if you were not filling for unemployment and be contacted by them saying some company has requested you for a job interview THE SAME DAY. But there were still jobs in America than before the enactment of NAFTA and all our jobs went to China and India.

Now called the "Texas Workforce Commission" as it is now called... is a cafeteria style "serve yourself"... "we'll show you how" to find a job using their pitiful website... only to be directed to "employment agencies" who have no jobs to begin with. Instead of having potential employers with all these jobs they say are available to give you a call because you're unemployed. Which is what the former TWC entity the "Texas Employment Commission" use to do, and the TEC was very effective at matching available jobs with people who were actively seeking work. I got several jobs through the TEC but never got a job through the TWC. So what is the point of having the TWC?

So what are these people at TWC really doing to find people work? If they are only going to show you how to use their ridiculous job search website using a computer and tell you there are 10 different types of formats for a job resume and other novice job seeking information most people had acquired by the end of High School. Skills many experienced workers who while currently unemployed have had for many years. I can do the same thing at any library, or on any computer, since I have extensive work experience and job finding skills IF there were any jobs to find which fit my skill sets. I could find a job.

TWC/ Employment Solutions seems to operate on the assumption that there are plenty of jobs to go around for all and that if you don't have a job or can't find a job, that it must be because you are not smart enough to find a job or lack jobs skills required to be hired for a job. And not that there is a marked lack of jobs in America today. I never had any problems finding work in my life until the year 2000 or so, 20 years ago I could find 10 jobs a day every day if I had wanted to do so. Back then and for many years the DFW Texas area was one of the top 10 job markets in the world.

So now TWC/Employment Solutions is going to make me go through their ridiculous job search/ job finding skills program for 4 weeks to retain my SNAP benefits on the assumption that I am a brainless loser who 1. has no marketable skills and 2. doesn't know how to find employment/lacks job search skills. My point being that if there are jobs... Where are they? Do THEY know? Do THEY have a magic JOBS WAND? No of course they don't. Otherwise why are so many people unemployed? Again my point being IF there are jobs... why aren't they matching people up with these jobs like the Texas Employment Commission use to do?

Instead of assuming that unemployed people on SNAP or any welfare don't have marketable jobs skills and or otherwise don't have job search, interview/resume skills? It is my opinion that the Texas State monies spent on TWC programs and personnel salaries are largely wasted, because as far as my personal experience with TWC ... I have not been well served by TWC and can't see exactly what their true function actually is, if they don't match employers with job to offer with people that need jobs as their primary goal.

I think if someone were to do some deep research on TWC they most certainly would find that it is in fact a truly ineffective state agency that needs a major efficiency overhaul and deep funding cuts. Welcome to the real world TWC. Enjoy the Job Search Job Skills Training. My opinion is that compared to the former State of State employment agency the Texas Employment Commission, the Texas Workforce Commission is a joke... funded with our Texas State Tax Dollars which serves no real purpose.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I'm not sure who to blame, an attorney, or TWC. Assume the attorney forwarded all documentation, but she did fail to file by one deadline and was hard getting questions answered, calls returned. She did, however, tell me the TWC rarely finds anything, but chooses to close cases and send "right to sue" letters, which they did. I filed a complaint at the advice of two other attorneys in a legal plan I belong to, and the Dept. of Labor who urged an EEOC complaint. I was told if filed with the TWC would forward into the EEOC system. So I said nothing when she filed with the TWC. This was a blatant violation of the ADA. The employer said I had no right to ADA accommodations although certified with a disability, refused to acknowledge accommodation requests which were minimal (be able to take breaks if needed, no standing all day). When submitted the employer issued an ultimatum to resign, retire, or force contract termination.

I had one of the best records over years of service, evaluations great, 15 years of service with no problems. Then came the disability. Then it was like they couldn't do enough to run me off, including demoting after coming off intermittent FMLA. Everyone I spoke with said it was a great case based on several issues, pursue it. I just wanted to get in two more years to meet retirement requirements. After doing a phone interview with the TWC, submitting evidence of what they'd done to force me out, and letting them speak with a colleague with vast experience with the employer who told them what they were doing was common, yes they could have easily accommodated, they advised they were closing the case with a right to sue letter.

Every response they got from the employer was a lie, and I provided documentation to prove it, but it was if the TWC ignored it all. Very disappointed that those meant to help chose to ignore the obvious and not help. It was if they made up their mind from the start not to do anything, just as the attorney said. Now I have to decide on pursuing through litigation, and the TWC seems worthless as an agency meant to help.

Original review: July 28, 2016

Evidence does not matter. I was living in Houston April 15-20 during a historic flash flooding event. My employer claimed I was 'no call, no show' for five days. I had emails, texts, etc. that proved I was in contact with them the entire time. My employer claimed it wasn't raining and denied everything. The entire city was shut down and there was 3 feet of water in the road. The judge sided with the employer, ruling that I quit my job without good reason. No accountability or interest in upholding the law.

Original review: July 27, 2016

As an Employer, I have less rights than the employee. It used to not be like that. A few years back if I wanted to let someone go before 90 days for any reason at all I had the right to do that. It's not like that anymore. The Texas Workforce Commission is looking for any reason to award the employee benefits which in turn costs me more money monthly. I guess that how they make their money off the backs of hard-working small business owners. WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR COUNTRY!!!

Original review: July 13, 2016

Phone system immediately hangs up if you choose any options under Spanish menu, or in the case of English, immediately goes to 'our call volume is high, please try again' and then disconnects. Same results calling at 8 am, 1 pm (following open for business and lunch) calling 10-15 times in a row each time. Calling at other odd times as well.

I've exhausted all personal savings after exiting the military, and have accrued too much debt while trying to get transitioned. I've never used unemployment in a lifetime of working, and I'm both saddened and angry that the system that tax dollars pay for is so terrible. Phone systems that auto terminate a call when you select an option, and instantaneous disconnect after a 'we're busy' message, rather than a queue, is absolutely unacceptable. Gross negligence regarding taxpayer money if this is the 'functioning' system we're left with.

Original review: June 28, 2016

The people working at Texas Workforce Commission are the reason this country is doing so bad and they take your responses and cut the words up to make up things you never actually said. I worked 6 years for a company that was always late on my scheduled salary. The last time it happened I was told by the owner they were not going to pay me and owed me nothing. I was due three weeks pay at that point so refused to work for free any longer and filed unemployment. TWC hacked my statement up saying I walked off the job and refused my benefits, that is unacceptable. When trying to call the agent to discuss the lines were always busy or simply the voice recorder said the agents were too busy to help me and disconnect the call. I left several messages and no one called me back.

I talked to several supervisors who said they would help me or call back and never did. My children and I are about to lose our home and the state cannot provide benefits we paid into in a time of need. This company should be brought up on some type of lawsuit for the way they have treated me. I have kept all records and done nothing wrong yet they refuse to help. These people are in no way here to help and is why further investigations should be made into how our government programs are actually working and cut out the waste! We are treated so unfair these days after all we do striving to make life better.

Original review: June 20, 2016

I submitted a final payday claim with the TWC a couple months ago about not receiving my final paycheck from Eric **, IT, for work I did in January 2016. I haven't received a response, nor can I seem to find a way to review where the claim is as far as the process of it. This is very dissatisfying, because I gave Eric ** plenty of time to pay me before doing this, as it was my last resort, and I appear to be not given attention to by the Texas Workforce Commission. All I wanted was what was owed to me.

Side note: Many others who worked for Eric ** have not been paid what he owes them. The man is not just a thief to me, but many others. There must be some way to make employers pay their employees. I even was teaching the man while I worked with him. I have texts where he admits that he owes me this money, and admitted that I did great work for him, and how he wishes I was still working for him. So there cannot be a viable claim that I didn't deserve this paycheck! Someone please help me.

Original review: June 2, 2016

I had a very positive experience overall with my claim. It did take 5 weeks to get approved, but once approved the full 4-week payment was in my bank account the next day. I was fired by a bully of a boss. (The boss from hell.) TWC claim manager Diana was assigned to my case. She called and left a voicemail for me to call back as she had additional questions. I called back to her direct number she gave and was surprised she answered. She asked questions and I answered truthfully. She told me a decision would be made that same day. Later that evening I saw online my payments would deposit the next day. The sincere customer service I received by TWC claim manager Diana made my experience a positive one.

Original review: May 23, 2016

I got a letter from TWC 5/6/16 requesting $2200 for an over-payment from 12/1990 (26 years ago). The letter has no details as to why they are asking for the over-payment (what I had done wrong if anything). I then proceeded to call the number on the letter and they advised me that they have no details on my account other than the dates that I was paid and the amount I owed. Not an explanation as to why I would owe the amount. I am currently filing an appeal, as I collected the unemployment after I was honorably discharged from the military. I had in good faith accepted the funds believing I was qualified, I performed the tasks which I was requested to completed, look for work on a weekly basis, and did not commit any fraud.

Original review: April 27, 2016

After being laid off I applied for unemployment benefits first time in my life. I started taking some continued education training twice a week at night (6:30 pm to 9:30 pm twice a week) so I could remain competitive in the job market. That seems to be the problem for TWC because they don't pay me any benefits even though my former company agreed on the payments. Their reasoning is that because I get more educated at night then I'm not available for work. The appeals I did do less than nothing because the people they have there is totally incompetent and it seems to write something different what we are telling them.

This makes me think somehow they keep the money is supposed to come to help us to give it somebody else they want or it is just a total incompetency within their offices.To make things worse they keep calling me to tell me they are not gonna pay me but that I must submit my payment request every two weeks. Is it they are just making fun of me? I consider this totally unfair because they do have a job and are playing with us who don't have a job.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I have dealt with the Texas Department of Unemployment (a.k.a. the Texas Workforce Commission) a few times in the past 6 years due to layoffs which can be common in my industry (agency recruiting). Each time I have dealt with the TWC, the degree of sheer incompetence displayed by all employees has been nothing short of astounding.

I was recently denied an unemployment claim after I gave 30+ days notice to my employer of resignation. The reason for my resignation was that my spouse was taking an out-of-state job position, and we would be moving 1500 miles to the northeast. My employer did not dispute the claim, and my boss validated that I had given nearly 60 days notice, which is well beyond the 2 weeks notice typically required by an employer, and that I worked up until the very last minute (I turned in my badge on Friday evening and was on the road across the country on Sunday morning).

The TWC disqualified me on the grounds that "I quit my job" and gave no further information. The TWC is a despicable organization that does nothing to assist the workforce. They are rude, condescending and worst of all, they can never get their stories straight. Phone calls to any TWC office will typically be met with an automated message telling you that the call volume is too high and that you should call back another day. If you do manage to get someone on the line, it will never be the same person, even if you ask for the last person you spoke to. That person will even deny speaking to you if you manage to get them on the line, or if the person you are currently speaking to contacts them to validate.

I left my organization in good standing with more than adequate notice, and fell well within the parameters of unemployment eligibility - I was not fired, I did not suddenly quit - and yet I was still denied. This is one of the worst organizations I have ever dealt with. They do a disservice to the U.S. and Texas State Governments, as well as the people that comprise the workforce they are trying to "assist".

Original review: Jan. 23, 2016

I went through 4 appeals and several investigators. First three appeals I won. Employer gave different reasons every time they were investigated. We had the proof in TWC's own files. Yet officer Wyma ruled in their favor. They broke all the TWC rules, Filing late appeal, not showing up for an appeal. Contradicting statements for firing me. I had won my appeals, but because TWC had wrong LEU number for company, they voided all the prior decisions and accepted their appeal. Then they gave another reason for firing me and TWC’s Mr. Wyma, regardless of prior claims, found in their favor. It doesn't matter what proof you have as an employee. TWC will choose Employer every time. We had overwhelming evidence of their lies and TWC chose the employer over the truth. Even when it was right in front of them. TWC is for the employer not the employee.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

I have been unemployed for over 6 weeks and have not received any payments. I have talked to over 6 people on the phone from the Texas Workforce Commission and realized that they aren't there to help you, but to keep you from receiving payments as much as possible. My advice, get the person you are talking to full name and keep a log as they will deny talking to you later. So many of them said it was taken care of, but I later found that they did nothing. No logs means they can deny talking to you. Watch your mailbox for their curve balls to avoid payment. This reminds me of collecting from Medicare/Medicaid when I was a manager.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I went to work for Hilltop Nursing and Rehabilitation on 9/2/15. I was offered weekend doubles and 5,000 sign on bonus. I worked 130 hrs the first 2 weeks. I was told I would be paid on the 9/6/15 every day. A week later I was told everyone was new and they had no human resource person and I was never put in the system and I should feel privileged I'm getting my check a week later because no one is. I had 30 residents, one 2 patients with q 15-minute v/s they tried to leave me with one CNA. I told them I would file safe harbor. The physician's orders I was to follow look like a 5-year-old wrote. I couldn't follow them. The 5 writes were not correct on an order. I had a pt that had fell with bruises and it was not reported to me. The administration nurse forgot to tell me the pt fell with bruises and a LG not on her head. No one was notified--family or Dr.

I was called on a Friday to come in and talk with the director. I could not make it in so she was taking me off the schedule. That in itself is termination so I filed unemployment. I was denied because the place still had me listed as an employee. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they're avoiding to pay my unemployment when I have paid in for years nursing. 28 years, I have drawn unemployment once. I'm sure if my skin color wasn't white I'd probably be drawing it. I called the director today and spoke with the office and stated "if I'm still employed put me to work." I called twice. I have yet to hear from the director. Just saying kinda suspicious to me but who am I to say?

Texas Workforce Commission Company Information