Search Tutors
  3. Tutoring
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Search Tutors
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.67/5

Varsity Tutors is a Live Learning Platform that connects students and professionals to experts in any subject, anywhere, at any time. Over four million hours of live instruction have taken place on the platform in 1,000+ subjects.

Varsity Tutors Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

We contacted Varsity Tutors to get assistance with preparing our 8th grade son for the High School Placement Test. Varsity recommended twelve sessions. But we were in a time-crunch and only had time to do six sessions - at two hours each. We have used tutors before but always in-person. Varsity recommended virtual sessions as they could more easily place us with the right resource for the HSPT. We were a bit unsure as to the effectiveness of online sessions.

Varsity placed us with Natasha. She had deep experience in HSPT preparation. And it turned out to be a great experience. She was able to quickly identify areas of weakness and address them. Probably the most significant and important aspect was her style and ability to connect with our 14 year old son. She had a very positive-feedback style, even and especially, when correcting a wrong answer. She left helpful notes after each session. Sessions are available online to re-watch. And as a parent, I even learned a few tips and tricks in how to better interact with my kids around school/homework.

The final session before the exam she provided specific, targeted test-taking strategies (i.e. our son always got the correct answer on a certain type of question – if he reviewed it twice). It was a very tailored experience. We’re still awaiting the results but definitely feel like we did “all that could be done” to prepare for the exam. We were very pleased with with Natasha and would specifically request her again in the future.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I would strongly recommend Varsity Tutors to anyone interested in seeking help with the GRE. Prior to taking the prep course I was extremely unprepared for the GRE. Now, after taking the course, I can honestly say that I am well prepared for the exam and feel confident in my ability to perform well. One of my favorite things about Varsity Tutors is that they truly care about each and every one of their students, and it shows from the second you decide to enroll. I received a call where I was asked about my preferred learning style and personality type so that my instructor would know more about me and how to best help me learn.

When it came time for the actual class, my instructor made it feel personal despite the fact that we were across the country from one another. He would always ask us questions about where we were from and what our future goals were. I loved the fact that we were able to form relationships even though none of us were in the same state.

My instructor's name was Stephen **. I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of a tutor for the GRE. He is very kind, respectful, and fun. One of my favorite things about him is that he is simply good at teaching. He is very intelligent explains concepts very clearly and thoroughly. He always welcomes questions and finds new ways to explain certain things if students doesn't understand. If I were to take more classes, I would absolutely request to have Stephen ** again. Overall, my experience with Varsity Tutors was great. I got more out of my class than I ever thought I would and I feel prepared to do well on the GRE.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

My daughter has had a great experience so far with Varsity Tutors. Cheryl, her tutor, has been encouraging and supportive. She has helped her feel more comfortable with the expected testing content. She has given her plenty of constructive feedback regarding ways to prepare for the test. My daughter has been very happy with her sessions.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We signed up our 16 y.o. son who is a good math student but was struggling when he transitioned to a new school his junior year. Varsity Tutors sent an excellent tutor, Blake, to our home. Blake came prepared with lesson plans, worked with the math syllabus and would write comprehensive summary notes of what our son needed to work on in between his tutoring sessions. We are going to hire him for SAT and ACT prep. The support staff was extremely attentive and would frequently call to check in. Most importantly, our son's anxiety over falling behind went down, his math grade went up and the quality, dedication and expertise of our tutor exceeded our expectations.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

My daughter ‘ tutor - Linda Sonderman - was excellent!!! She was accurate in the subjects and made My daughter learn a lot!!! I really recommend her!!! And besides that, she is comprehensible and kind to the student. My daughter and her have done a good job!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

My son's verbal score went up 160 points from the PSAT to SAT. His tutor Lydia was extremely professional and knowledgeable and he responded well to her. She kept him focused on what was important and gave him very helpful hints. He went into the test feeling very confident and prepared.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Omar really helped prepare my son for taking the HSPT. He was great, helped tremendously in explaining things and it really helped my son. I loved how it was all done online, no need to go anywhere. The convenience was wonderful. I highly recommend Varsity Tutors and Omar.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Without the help of Varsity Tutors and my tutor Olivia I would not be as confident I am going into my LSAT this coming Monday. Olivia was able to provide me with ways of studying and tips on taking the exam. Varsity tutors offered great support during this time and called me to check on how the sessions were going. I am extremely happy with Varsity Tutors and Olivia.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

After many days of absence, we urgently needed a tutor for IB Biology to make up for the missing material and to teach it as detailed as necessary and short as possible. We were not sure whether online tutoring was the right thing to do, as a lot of teaching in school is done on video and this can be very counterproductive, depending on the subject. Thanks to Varsity we were taught better! It was a bit difficult to find the right tutor but Varsity Tutors is very accommodating, always helpful, friendly and almost always available. Our tutor Abigail ** is able to teach exactly what is needed in a simple and comprehensive way using the available documents. Highly recommended! She is cooperative and very spontaneous. She is able to take out most of the stress. Our child is much more relaxed!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

We signed up for tutoring, we had one session that made my daughter uncomfortable (nothing bad) because her grades we all A's we decided we would just cancel but learned that after 30 days (which is not enough time to use the 800 we spent in tutoring) there is no refund. So now we are out $800. I am sure it was in the fine print that I overlooked but I don't think that is a ethical way to do business. We received no goods or services and are just out. So if you use them be aware of the no refunds.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Rhonda, We apologize that you were disappointed with Varsity Tutors and your daughter's tutoring. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously. We did reach out by phone and email, but did not hear back. When you are ready, please contact our customer service management team at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com or call the phone number located at the bottom of the email sent, and we will begin working with you to find an acceptable solution. We look forward to speaking with you.

Varsity Tutors Company Information