Call toll free
4.58/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 40,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over three million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

188 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 13, 2018

When I went to the Varsity Tutors website, I checked their reviews and backgrounds and decided to go with them. My son had to take the summer sets again since he failed the first time. He has issues with writing and reading so he needs more time. With my son having a tutor, I know that he would pass the second test. He is much better than the first set. His tutor has been flexible for us. Since I work, we figured out a time that was good for both of us and that helped me a lot. I had an excellent experience with Varsity Tutors. They called me all the time to ask if everything was okay and talked to the tutor if she was in. I like that a lot because it means to me that they care about their customers. It is something that I’m gonna be loyal to and work with.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Was a very professional tutor and knew basically everything about the subject. Helped my grade go from a 43 to a 78 by the end of the year. I am so happy for the tutor I received and couldn’t be more happy with the outcome. If I ever need another tutor it most likely be Zaki.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: July 7, 2018

I researched tutoring services to provide our teen with requested support to strengthen her strategies for the SAT. We had a terrible experience with the first two tutors - one canceled 15 minutes before the session was supposed to begin, and the second kept rescheduling until finally admitting that our neighborhood was too far away for him. By this point we had lost several months of valuable prep time. The final tutor at least showed up on time consistently - at this point, our standards were low.

Our teen did not learn any strategies for the SAT - this was a complete waste of money and of time. We ended up with a lot of hours left - mostly because of the serial cancellations. When I sought to get a refund for these hours I was told it was far too late to get a refund. I was completely stonewalled. I think this company hires anyone who wants to make a little extra money, and passes them off as 'qualified.' I was extremely disappointed and feel ripped off.

Varsity Tutors response

We are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience with our company. Your review suggests that you did not receive our best efforts, and we take that seriously. A member of our Customer Experience team will review your account and be in contact with you. We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: June 28, 2018

We are ecstatic with our daughter's progress and VT responsiveness when we have an issue. Short of 5 stars because we're still trying to find a good match for our son. I'm hopeful we'll get that resolved next week. Our daughter's teacher is well prepared for each session, firm and supportive. Each session is maximized for learning. Very impressed with her.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Varsity Tutors was a little more private and there is more one-on-one than in a classroom setting. They are one of the first people to approach me and get back to me and so, I went with them and they were the first one that I chose. The tutors are very good and the specific tutor that I worked with was genuine, nice, kind and honest. He gave me some constructive criticism and found my weaknesses. We sat down and he helped me go through the motion of writing the essay for the GRE, formulating the strategy for writing that essay and how to go about it during the test. They did great for the test and I did much better than I expected.

Friends should give Varsity a try. They are helpful, professional and they’re specific to the learner. It’s a little hard to do it over the computer but it works out because they’re able to put up different sample questions up on the screen for you and walk you through. They make up for the fact that it’s not one-on-one by using some of the abilities of the program that they use to be able to give you the best possible learning experience. It was good and I would recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: June 26, 2018

All of my tutors for the above subjects have been very helpful and knowledgeable. They are flexible on times that we meet - which is great because I work full time and have to fit my school work in whenever I am able to! My Biostatistics tutor was extremely knowledgeable and took the time to help me understand the concepts. I also have had a great experience with using varsity tutors for paper/essay editing! I would recommend this program to anyone that is struggling in a course or anyone who just needs help focusing!

Original review: June 23, 2018

We were looking online for a tutor and Varsity Tutors seemed to have what we were looking for. I also liked the option that if a particular tutor did not work out, we could change tutors and get a fit that would work for us. Our Varsity tutor has been absolutely phenomenal and wonderful, from changing the tutoring schedules to accommodating us on unscheduled tutor dates, such as for emergency help. Moreover, my daughter’s grades went up, so we were doubly pleased. It was a great experience for her and she looked forward to the sessions. The tutor honed in on the areas where she needed help and was able to help her, and she was very friendly and got my daughter, who's a little withdrawn and shy to open up. Depending on people’s circumstances, Varsity can be a little pricey, but the service was well worth the cost for me and I would absolutely use them.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Overall the tutor was very helpful. You get out of the experience exactly what you put in. For best results I highly recommend doing numerous problems before you even begin a tutoring session. So when you do have your hour and 30 min you can focus on where you really need the help. Also send the tutor all you possibly can. The more the tutor has to work with the more help they can do for you.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Varsity Tutors had availability for me to start then and I was desperate for an assignment. I went with them and it worked out. When I logged on then and was assigned to somebody for instant help, I got matched and he was great. I liked him so much and we worked together so well that I requested to keep him for my regular tutoring session. He was really helpful and I was using Varsity Tutors for accounting, which was hard for me. But he was really patient and didn’t get frustrated when I didn’t understand right away.

I learned about accounting, but he also taught me a bit about computers, like how to use excel and different things. So, I learned more than I was expecting to. The reps of Varsity Tutors were really attentive and always checked in to make sure things were going well. And if I ever had a problem, they were really on top of it. I would tell others that Varsity Tutors would be a great way to get help, and not just get enough help to pass the class, but really learn some things that you could use later on.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Varsity does a great job of customer service and that they are responsive to phone calls and their app is pretty good. The service would be improved if there was a better way to vet or briefly interview tutors before trying them out. Even though they will refund you if you did not like the tutor, it is an efficient and can get frustrating for the student.

Original review: June 20, 2018

We appreciate the follow-up and all of the excellent tutoring. The tutors have been very experienced and our agent (Allison) has been diligent in following up on our progress. Very much appreciate it!

Original review: June 20, 2018

My daughter is only in her first few weeks of long-term tutoring for the ACT but we are delighted so far! My daughter is extremely happy with her tutor which makes her motivated to work hard. The online format is working out well and I get regular calls from a member of the staff (our personal coordinator) to make sure all going well.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I really liked the gentleman that I spoke with on the phone when I first called Varsity Tutors. He made me feel like they could really do what I needed to help my son in college who was failing a class. And I didn't feel it was necessary to look elsewhere although I saw a lot of tutoring companies. My son at UC Berkeley got a big plus in class with the tutor's help. He would have failed that class without Varsity Tutors. They have a variety of people and they're very good at finding the right personality. And they're good at working with you if the right personality doesn't come out first. Give Varsity Tutors a check and see if you can find a person you need who can help in a certain subject.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I contacted Varsity Tutors a few days ago. I received the rates for a tutor, however, I wasn't given any additional information so I sent an e-mail over the weekend requesting a list of the tutors in my area as well as their qualifications because I wanted a certified tutor after reading the reviews for Varsity Tutors. I received a call today 6/19/18 from Sandra asking if I was still interested. I advised her that I requested additional information. As per Sandra, that's not their process. I explained why I wanted the information and advised that I would like to select the tutor.

As per Sandra, maybe Varsity Tutors is not the company for me. I'm not sure why she didn't want to share this information up front unless she had something to hide. If you are asking me to spend almost $600.00 for 6 hours of service I should at least be able to obtain the qualifications of the person that I paid for. I'm so grateful that I read the reviews because the rates are expensive and I can't afford to waste money.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Tanya. We will have a member of our Customer Experience team review your account and get in contact with you. We are disappointed you did not have a positive experience with our representative.

Original review: June 17, 2018

We talked to Varsity Tutors and it looked like they aim to match you with the appropriate person. It helped my son to get to reading level. And I already recommended them to a friend of mine.

Original review: June 15, 2018

When I signed up for this service over 2 years ago I was very clearly told unused hours could be refunded when we discontinued the service. I set up an auto payment and they have gotten a check from me like clockwork for 2+ years. We have had numerous scheduling issues, tutors outright no-showing and in some cases it’s been difficult to find a tutor for certain subjects. So, we haven’t used the prepaid hours every month and have over $5300 in unused hours accumulated.

We use the service for my two oldest daughters, the younger one has special needs (ASD), so it’s understandable we’ve had a hard time finding a tutor that fits her needs. We’ve tried again and again, around 10 or so tutors (some good, some bad) and she seems to be getting no benefit from the tutoring. No increase in grades, no retention of learned material, etc. Our oldest daughter graduated and is doing some tutoring herself. So, we no longer find the service useful and we want to move on.

We call to get a refund for our unused hours ($5300+) and are told of this 30 day policy and are not entitled to a refund. If we have auto pay set up every month and we can’t consistently schedule tutors every month, how can this policy possibly be an effective policy? It’s deceitful and completely audacious for this company to somehow believe they’re entitled to keep my money for a prepaid service that has not been provided. The website says 100% satisfaction guarantee. Don’t believe this. The sales people tell you unused hours can be refunded, don’t believe this.

Are we expected to call every 30 days and get a refund for unused hours because y’all can’t find a tutor to come out here? What a ridiculous policy. The sad part is we have 3 younger children and I think the service could be useful for children without special needs, but we won’t be doing business with this deceptive company. We will definitely be using someone else in the future for the rest of our children. As for this issue, my husband and I are irate and our next call will be to our lawyer to resolve this matter.

Varsity Tutors response

We are glad you were able to speak with a manager since posting this review. Varsity Tutors is looking forward to working with you to come to a resolution regarding your concerns. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: June 15, 2018

We only used local tutors recommended by people in our area but when we were looking for someone specific like a Chinese tutor for my son, we couldn’t find anyone locally. Also, for some of the upper level Math, we found a good tutor but she was always away. So, Varsity as an online option was appealing. On an Admin level, all the people that we had as our main tutors were always on time, very good about scheduling and we appreciate that too. So, it's nice to know what's coming during the week so that your kids can get their homework done and fit in anything they have for the tutor as well.

We had an ACT tutor for my son for his test. He took it twice and he actually got his Science score up by seven points, which was huge, and raised his overall score to a 33. That was good and we were thrilled. Even locally, I wasn't able to find someone who could tutor to that level and really work with him in the Math and Science sections. Lia, the ACT tutor, was awesome and she gave him tips and helped him figure out and identify the areas that my son needed more work on. For the Math sections, it was on quickly identifying that he needed more work in probability and taking the time to go through those type of questions. And she was very good about giving him extra material to work with in between, pointing him to areas in the Varsity site, and which ACT books to get, and working through chats with him. And then, she was very organized.

We used Zachary for some extra Math help for both kids just for class. Being able to schedule extra time with him before their final exams at the end of the year was super and it really helped. They both really liked him and said he was very clear in his teaching style. And then, we had Alex who did both Human Geography and World History with my daughter. I talked to him a little bit and between the two of us, we worked out a good schedule for Cecilia. We're definitely going to be using Alex for Hurricane History for both kids next year again because he was super.

We felt comfortable going into the AP exam. My son was in an AP class, but he was the only one taking the AP in his school. They weren't teaching to prepare him for that test specifically, so Varsity really filled the gap for us. My daughter also had two AP History exams that covered a lot of material. We wanted her to have some supervised review in advance of when the school would begin it and she had a great tutor for that as well. My son met with Rishi and studied with him for his US History AP and he did a good job. We don't have AP scores but he got a 730 on his SAT subject tests. He felt that the AP subject tests were better for him and he felt prepared going in. All of these History classes are a lot to go through.

We also found a Chinese tutor who did a great job. Elaine did the Chinese and she not only met with my son for an hour and a half to do the test prep, but as we got closer, she said that a lot of it was good but he could use a little bit more practice with the fluency. We scheduled a second session for just an hour where she would just work on verbal skills so they could do an hour and a half of working for the class and on the test and what he'd need, and then an hour of extra practice. That made a huge improvement in his goal in the course of two months.

Every once in a while, you get a tutor, maybe a great tutor, who doesn't exactly click with your child's learning style that would work best. And other customers usually would say that they are not sure about it which I liked because you don’t feel obligated to continue. Varsity has a lot of good tutors and you could work with someone else right away. So, we were able to get down to tutors that clicked with the kids. And after the first couple of tutors were so good, we kept adding more because it's getting the best of this world when you have public school and then you can add some tutoring and it's like getting that private school education but for a bit less.

We really had a great experience and we're going to use Varsity again. In the fall, we're gonna start the ACT a little earlier for my daughter than we did for my son because she's a little anxious on big multiple choice tests. We're gonna use exactly the same tutor we had.The quality of the tutors is excellent, that the ability to meet with the tutor online is really easy to schedule and is easier for the kids and the price for tutoring was about the same as what we find locally, but the actual quality of the tutoring and the diversity of tutors you can have is much greater. It was a really good experience and we would definitely stick with them. I completely recommend them to anyone such as all the moms whom we speak with about finding tutors.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Throughout the four years that I’ve been using Varsity Tutors, they’ve helped me very, very much. This recent tutor I've had was helping me with a research paper that was about 20 pages long. And so, I would write it, then she and I would go through it, and she’d make comments on what we were doing. I’m a student at the University of Tampa, so originally, I was using the school's tutoring program. But when I found out that it wasn’t really specific to what I needed, I started looking online for different tutors. Then, I found Varsity Tutors and with them, I could get multiple subjects from only one platform. Also, I could pay them through credit card wherein a lot of times, if you have a tutor, you have to pay them with cash or check. So, it’s a lot easier to actually prepay for the hours.

With Varsity Tutors, you also have the opportunity if you wanna meet somebody in person or you’d rather work online. And if one tutor’s not really working out, then you have the ability to move to another. I like the platform too, but sometimes it had a couple of faults, especially with internet. For some reason, when my internet went out for two seconds, it cut out between me and the tutor. But other than that, the experience was really good. I would recommend the program to a bunch of people.

Original review: June 12, 2018

If you're looking for a tutoring service, you should definitely give Varsity Tutors a call and see if they can meet what you need. When my daughter was in high school, she used them and we were happy with their service. I read the reviews initially and it sounded like they were what we needed, so I called and they were extremely helpful. They were a little expensive though, but when we started using them, they handled everything properly.

I would speak to Varsity and let them know what subject area my daughter was looking for. They would place her with a tutor and the tutor would then contact her via email, set up a time, and then they would do a FaceTime type of session. There was one tutor that she really felt like didn’t help at all. I called Varsity and they took care of it. They said, “No problem. We’ll give you the time back. We’ll give you another tutor.”

Other than that, the tutors have helped her. My daughter was able to relate to them and talk. When she'd have an upcoming test in a particular subject, she and her tutor would review all the materials. There was a person who did SAT prep as well. They went over different areas and ways to prepare one's self including time management and other things like that. My daughter has already graduated and it was definitely a positive with Varsity Tutors. It was totally worth it.

Resolution response: July 16, 2018

The company is working on this issue. Virginia is willing to help us and it should work out fine.

Original review: June 8, 2018

We were told to buy the package. The basic package is 9 hours, $65/hr for grade 6+. $585 total. They encouraged us to buy the next level package of 15 hr as we will get some discount but not the 9 hr package. And if we can't use all hours we can get a refund for unused hours within 30 days. Once we asked for refund of our 3 unused hrs, we were told that they will only refund us about $82 instead of $195.00 ($65 x 3 hrs = $195) as we got that package as a special deal. That was NOT true! It is a regular package, not even 1 penny saving. In addition they said I should have bought hours as needed not to buy a package. That is also NOT true! They have never given us that option!

Varsity Tutors response

6/22/18- We are pleased that we could speak with you Sarah and provide some resolution. We take client feedback seriously and do our best to address concerns. Please feel free to reach out to us at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com if we can do anything else to support you moving forward.

We are disappointed to learn you were not happy with our services. A member of our Client Experience Team will review your account and get in contact with you. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I've had great interactions with the tutor from Varsity Tutors. She did an excellent job. There's a slight difference in the way I learn using a tutor since everyone teaches differently. Still, I would encourage others to go with Varsity as they have excellent tutors and they all want to adapt to the student's learning.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We had a different tutoring option and the person I had was good but he moved so it was super last minute when I used Varsity Tutors and had Luciana. She was the best and I like her. She was patient, sweet and encouraging. She obviously knew what she was talking about and she did a lot of quizzing which helped. The learning experience was enjoyable and I look forward to it. It worked out really well. I will definitely recommend Varsity Tutors, especially in a pinch.

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 24, 2018

I sought out Varsity Tutors because I saw positive reviews. I tried to set up an in person tutor for our business and the representative we had was solely focused on trying to convince us to use their online platform instead of what we actually wanted. We have tried the online learning platform before and it doesn't work well for what we wanted and we tried to explain this over and over and still the representative at Varsity Tutors was more interested in trying to sell us on this software instead of trying to accommodate what we needed. Maybe this gentleman doesn't accurately reflect what the company is trying to do but he surely left a terrible taste in our mouth and he is certainly not the type of person I would ever have representing my company.

Varsity Tutors response

Jesse, thank you for speaking with our Client Service Management Team about your experience. While we are disappointed that your initial interaction was not satisfactory, we are pleased that you allowed us the opportunity to provide you with information to make an informed decision about your needs. If we can provide any information or assistance in the future, please feel free to reach out to us again. And thank you for your feedback!

Thank you for your feedback, Jesse. We will have a member of our customer experience team review your account and be in contact with you within the next 24 hours. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Resolution response: May 24, 2018

I was contacted by a customer experience representative, they offered a viable solution and I accepted it. We're still in the process of getting the unused hours refunded but so far they have committed to do so. I hope they follow through with this.

When they do, I'll give you guys a 5 star review, no questions asked.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I hired Varsity Tutors to find 2 tutors for my son, Physics and Math. When I paid for the service, over the phone I was told that any unused hours would be refunded. I specifically asked any conditions applied, and the agent said "NO". They did find a Physics tutor, but were not able to find a good math tutor, tried several times and simply failed to find a good fit for the material my son needed help with. Now that I want my unused hours refunded, they say they can't because there is a 30 day window after you make the payment to request a refund.

They made me sign a pretty long online document which states the 30 day clause, which they fail to disclose over the phone when they're eager to get your money. My issue here is that they lied to me over the phone, and that is not correct. They will not honor a verbal agreement, which by the way is recorded by them when you make your payment. I want the money refunded because they were not able to provide the service they promised. I would highly recommend using a different company.

Varsity Tutors response

6/19/18- Horacio, thank you for verifying that you have received the refund that we discussed. Although we are disappointed that you did not have a more positive experience with Varsity Tutors, we are glad that we could reach an agreeable resolution with you. Please feel free to reach out to customer-experience@varsitytutors.com if we can be of any further help.

Horacio- Thank you for speaking with one of our managers yesterday. Based on the conversation, we will be providing a refund of your unused hours. While we are happy your son was able to get the IB physics help he needed, he did not receive assistance in IB math, and for that we apologize. We are disappointed that you did not have a totally positive experience with our company. If there is anything additional that would ultimately provide a more positive resolution to this situation, please contact Virginia with our client service management team at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com. She will be happy to speak with you.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was very impressed with Saudrick, the ECE tutor Varsity found for my son, Will. He passed the class with a B without Saudrick's help. And he got A's from the time he started working with Saudrick and it was because Saudrick could explain the concept to him. If he didn't get it, he could explain it in a different way until Will understood it. And Saudrick's qualifications were amazing, having both the Bachelor's and the Master's in the ECE. He knows the material as well as the professor knows it, but he also is skilled at teaching it to somebody else and can explain it in different ways until he knows the person understands it. He also went out of his way to make himself available every night leading up to the finals.

I've been impressed with Varsity. I've read their Yelps and some people are like, "I didn't find anybody for me," but my experience was the opposite. It was like Varsity found someone immediately. The first person they found for ECE probably wasn't totally appropriate. She was not a craftsman and she kinda flaked on us setting up appointments, cancelling, and then saying her computer was broken. I gave her two attempts and then I called Varsity and told them it wasn't working. And within 48 hours, they had Saudrick for us. Also, every time I've given them feedback, they've responded so, I'm pleased.

And then, we were trying to set Will up for Chemistry and Varsity found some excellent people for him but time-wise, it wasn't working for him. And he was finding he could do the chemistry, so far. Still, there was a huge improvement in his learning experience since using a tutor through Varsity. And it spilled over, not just from the ECE but to everything. He had a bad first quarter at college. He ended up with MRSA, which is a bad infection and he was septic. And he didn't tell us. He should have withdrawn for the quarter, which he didn't and did very poorly. And I think it was devastating to him and having Saudrick help him master this ECE turned him around in all of his classes. He ended up with three A's and a B from being on academic probation.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Varsity Tutors is a fabulous organization. My daughter was taking some tests for entrance into boarding schools. I looked at Google, some reviews and Varsity Tutors seemed like pretty solid as an option. What I felt really unique about them is that, firstly, from an account management standpoint, when they were interfacing with the parents every time, we contacted them or they contacted us, they seemed informed on exactly what the objectives were and where we were in the process. So, it wasn't like a re-education on every call which could be frustrating.

They were also super flexible and accommodating as a company. For example, you sign up for a certain block of hours for tutoring. However, we needed a couple of more hours in addition to the initial block. They broke their normal business model of buying a block of five to just giving us one extra session because that's all we needed. The account managers had the autonomy to execute without going to be bureaucratic and difficult.

In addition, the tutors were talented and professional. They interacted with our daughter in a way that put her at ease, lowered the anxiety and made it as fun as it could be. We really appreciated the tenor of the engagement with the tutors. They were very effective, too. It was a two-hour block where the tutor is working with a 14-year old and they were able to keep her engaged with a smile of her face. Our case was that we decided to look at boarding schools late into my daughter's freshmen year of high school until she didn't have really the runway that most kids do to prepare. We tried to compress a lot in a month or five weeks time. It was amazing that Varsity Tutors was able to help us get there.

As a parent, you want to be able to help your child but you don't necessarily refresh on the thing that they're learning. So, they have the spot tutoring where you can simply open up Varsity Tutors any time of the day or night and an available tutor in that domain will then present themselves on your screen and you buy a block like an hour session.

They also have a fantastic interface and their software is great. You get a visual like face-time ask session with the tutors, so you see them and you're talking to them in one quadrant of the screen, and another quadrant, they're able to put up questions, and in another quadrant, there's a work space where the tutor can visually show the student how to solve the problem. It may not have been the same reaction for my daughter, but it felt like you get to play Jeopardy. It has a little bit of a game show. You do it and see their questions and then you have so much time to solve it. It's fun and it was as painless as it could be.

My daughter is a good student. She was taking board to get into one of the elite boarding schools in the country which is Lawrenceville. It's a number three rank, like one of the most selected boarding schools, 10% admission, and she got in. So, it was mission accomplished from the test perspective. We were really happy. I'm impressed with the company that I would love to be an advocate in any way that I can to help them.

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 16, 2018

We were very disappointed in our outcome of the SAT tutoring. My daughter retook the SAT 2 times and did not increase her score at all! The 2 hour tutoring sessions were brutal! We won't be using the last 2 hours that we have left and there is no refund available. Very disappointed!

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for speaking with our Client Service Management Team, Kim. We strive to provide a successful tutoring experience to all of our clients and are disappointed when that does not occur. But we are pleased to have found a satisfactory resolution for your family. If we can provide any additional resolution, please feel free to reach out again.

Kim- we are disappointed that you are unhappy with Varsity Tutors and your daughter's SAT tutoring. While we understand this does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously. We have reviewed your account, and a member of our customer experience team has reached out to you. Please respond to her at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com, and we will begin working with you to find an acceptable solution. We look forward to speaking with you, and thank you for your feedback.

Resolution response: June 9, 2018

I recently reviewed Varsity Tutors and expressed some dissatisfaction with them. After posting the review, I received a call from Virginia from the Company. She explored the reasons that I was unhappy with the experience and offered to provide some additional tutoring with a different tutor. I accepted and the new tutor had a different style. My daughter felt better about the experience after just one session with the new tutor. This tutor worked through the problems with her and explained the reasons for the process. The response from the customer department was phenomenal. Very satisfied customer!

Original review: May 15, 2018

First of all, I liked the tutor. However, I paid a lot of money for ACT tutoring. When my daughter was first assigned a tutor, I was told to wait for a call. A call never came. When I finally called ACT, they assigned a new tutor with no explanation for the prior tutor failing to contact me. The new tutor came. Although they tell you it is at your convenience, believe it with a grain of salt. The tutor promptly told us that weekends did not work for her because it was too far to drive and our home was closer to her work so it was easier for her to tutor during the week. She repeatedly told us she was going to give us the name of reference materials, but, even after repeated assurances, she failed to do so. She canceled repeatedly. Some cancellations were fine, i.e., sick, flat tire, etc. But after 3 cancellations, I began to question it. Then she was sick right before the ACT.

Meanwhile, I had been telling her we needed to do the tutoring more than once a week to get our sessions completed. She said she understood. The ACT arrived and my daughter still had one outstanding session remaining. Since her school was offering an ACT a couple of weeks later, I told the tutor we wanted the last session. That was scheduled with no acknowledgment that she failed to make the required number of sessions before the first ACT! (If I hadn't gone online to check to see if Varsity fulfilled their contractual obligations, I don't think she or Varsity Tutors would have mentioned it!) Then, my daughter got a rather mediocre score on the ACT. Seriously, it was a score she had gotten on her PSAT with no tutoring! Save your money!!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Varsity Tutors seemed very thorough, professional and experienced from all the materials that I read and looked over. And during the process in getting to a tutor that would serve my daughter's needs, they were incredibly professional, helpful, and supportive. I was so blown away with their service and everyone of them. And I ended up talking with three different professionals, the ones who answer their phones and screens and try to get the family or the individual to help with their need.

I signed my daughter up for the high school AP Taxes, which is a hard course. We went through a process with several tutors, and they were good but I was looking for a fit for my daughter. Varsity was patient with me and they probably would have went through more if I needed them to. But they found a really great match for my daughter. And my daughter had one session with this tutor. She liked the tutor but the online thing was not for her, and it may be because she's younger or because of the subject matter. My daughter said there has to be somebody right next to her, which I think she needed for her confidence level, too. And it's hard to convey that over the phone.

We were completely signed up but we didn't end up finishing our sessions. We have already paid but there is a guarantee in 30 days. I called Varsity and I explained what was happening. All I had to pay for was the time that that tutor spent, which was an hour and a half. And then, the rest of my money was refunded. I have planned on quitting because the important thing was for my daughter to get helped for this incredibly challenging class. And then, we ended up finding somebody locally that she could sit down with face to face. But the people at Varsity that I talked with were terrific, and I'm very satisfied. I have Varsity on my radar if we stumble with a different subject again in the future. I'd recommend to people, and I already did to a couple of people.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I googled APSAT tutor and Varsity Tutors came up, so I called them first. They've been great so far and I've been super happy with them. They emailed me and called a lot to see how satisfied I was. Elizabeth, the tutor, meets my child once a week for an hour and a half and she's been real helpful. My daughter's gonna take her APSAT the next week so we will stop after her AP exam. She really likes Elizabeth and never complains about Varsity Tutor. Her grades are good, too.

Varsity Tutors Company Information