Call toll free
4.56/5
Based on 90 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 40,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over three million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

140 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 4, 2018

We liked Varsity Tutors much more than the different option we've used for a different child. Varsity Tutors was personalized and it was one-on-one versus being in a group setting. And the tutor came to our house. It was really easy to schedule online and some of the Varsity Tutor people I spoke to helped with that. Our tutor would enter a date and they would just resend it to us for approval. Although the first tutor we were set up with never responded, so we had to get a different tutor. After that, it went great.

A lot of things happened in the middle of that whole experience. Right after having most of the tutoring, my child was to take the test but she was not mentally in the place for that. It was her first time to take that test as an over-arching and it's not for a specific subject. The tutor gave her strategies and tips on each section and works with her to explain if she didn't get an answer correctly, what the correct way to approach the problem would've been and what the answer should have been.

We had a really positive experience with them. We might actually use the tutor again for a couple of sessions. My child has taken it once then got two-points higher the second time. But she's still two points lower than what she was usually getting on the practice test with the tutor. I'd definitely recommend using Varsity. It's a great way to not waste your child's time going over a lot of things that they already are very well versed in. In that way, you can concentrate on the areas that your child needs help in before the test.

Varsity Tutors response

Varsity Tutors is dedicated to providing students with support to succeed. We are pleased to know that you utilized the tutor guarantee and that the second the tutor was a good fit to help your child. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there is anything further we can do to help. And thank you for your feedback!

Original review: March 3, 2018

I was choosing between Varsity Tutors and TestMasters, and TestMasters was more expensive and they didn't have a money back guarantee. As I worked with Varsity Tutors, I wasn't happy with my first tutor, so I wanted someone who got a better score and they were super supportive. They matched me with the right tutor and they were really helpful. The first tutor taught me his method and we went through doing problems, practicing and improving. The second tutor was also super helpful in giving me advice.

I used them for LSAT tutoring, so it was specific to learning the test. But I also used them for help with writing an essay and my essay tutor was so incredibly helpful. I definitely thought about writing differently even after just a few sessions with her when she really helped structure my unstructured essay. So, that was a good experience as well. Varsity Tutors' service is more personalized and tailored to you in making sure that your personal needs are being met. They have great customer service and employees. Everyone was super lovely. I talked to a lot of competitors and even Kaplan-like companies that have structured classes and Varsity was better than all of them.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, Nicolette! Studying for the LSAT can be a daunting task, and we are thrilled that our tutor was able to assist you. Our employees truly care about each and every client and want to make sure the client is taken care of as well as making sure the student finds success. Please reach out if we can be of any assistance during law school.

Insufficient response received
Original review: March 2, 2018

I called to inquire about tutoring for Google Analytics and Wordpress. The person who answered hung up on me without saying a word. PUBLIC RELATIONS begins at the telephone. The lack of courtesy made me irate enough to sign up for this website in order to post a complaint.

Hi Robert,
Varsity Tutors was having technical difficulties with its phone system earlier today. We apologize that you were disconnected. We will have a representative reach out to you this afternoon.

Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Prior to using Varsity Tutors, we had in-person tutoring. Varsity Tutors was very approachable and their online option gave us a greater selection of tutors so we could find a tutor that was a good match for my kids and that met their individual needs. So far, we've had three tutors through Varsity. It did not work well with one tutor, but the other two were really good, and we're still with the third one. There were definitely language issues with the bad tutor so my kids had a hard time understanding what she was saying and she didn't explain things in a way that they could understand. That went for one session and it wasn't a good fit.

We had another tutor all summer and he was really good. The kids liked him and he was very approachable for them. He tried to go to their level and engaged them with things that they were interested in, and he tried to make the learning fun. In the summer, we didn't have an earlier working time, so he had more liberty. The tutor that we have now is really good. She's nice, very patient with the kids, and very flexible. If either she or the kids needed to change tutoring days, we always worked that out well. Also, if the kids needed extra help for a test that was coming up, she made herself available.

The platform with the online option that Varsity uses works well and it's nice. Our current tutor is in Georgia and we're in Chicago. The tutor has the same books that my kids use for their classes, so the material is right there for them, and there's also a way to take pictures of problems. Kids these days are very computer-savvy and they're used to computerized things. We had a couple of problems with connectivity, but we got someone to help, so that was good. It interrupted the session a little bit, but the Varsity people were very quick to respond and find a fix, which was great. The most important thing is to make sure that my kids get a good quality tutor, who is a good person that has good teaching skills, and not someone who just wants to make extra money. Online tutoring is a good option for kids.

Varsity Tutors response

It's great to know that your students have built great relationships with their tutors! Our Tutor Guarantee ensures that we will match your student with the right tutor, and if a tutor is not a fit, we'll find a new match for you. It gives parents that peace of mind knowing that their student will get the help they need. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Varsity Tutors was incredibly great. I have nothing but the highest praise for them. My son used the tutor for his AP classes. He had also an AP Physics tutor, and then maybe another for AP Chemistry. Also, my daughter used them for her MCAT and did extraordinarily well. We used just the online tutoring. We did not have anybody in person come, and that worked out much better for us. If you’re just having someone in town, then you’re limited by your location. With Varsity Tutors' tutoring system, my son can do it on his own schedule and he gets the best person. My son knows exactly what he needs in the tutoring situation and that’s what makes the biggest difference.

I'll tell friends that if they're looking for a tutoring system that works, they might try Varsity Tutors out. For instance, my son decides he needs a tutor tonight. They have instant tutoring where you just try your luck and you get someone who is in your particular course. In other situations where instead of going that direction, my son's actual tutor that’s been assigned to him, and oftentimes they’ll be so flexible and they will fit him in. A lot of people set dates, but that’s not what worked for my son. He only needs the tutor when he needs the tutor, and yet the tutor from Varsity Tutors has been very knowledgeable. Also, if he didn’t like a particular tutor, they would readily get him a new one. They've been the most accommodating. I’ve never seen anything like it, and I'll have the grandchildren use them. I’ve recommended them to everyone I know.

Varsity Tutors response

We are glad to hear your children are able to utilize all of Varsity Tutors' learning platforms. The ability to get help anywhere, anytime is so important for today's student on the go. Having that extra one on one help for those major exams like AP tests and the MCAT really gives a student that boost of confidence prior to taking the test. We are happy for your students, and thank you for your feedback.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I had used a different tutoring service before and Varsity Tutors is much better. It's also much less expensive than the other local places. For a lot of people, that's a big consideration. My child had an excellent tutor. I got a lot of emails from her regarding all her updates. She was phenomenal. My child only did six weeks as a test prep, and it went well. I would recommend Varsity Tutors to my friends.

Varsity Tutors response

Varsity Tutors is happy to hear of the success your child had with the tutor. Having that extra test prep help prior to the exam really does make the difference. If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know, and thank you for the great feedback!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

My son graduated without a diploma because they discovered at the university two weeks before he was graduating that he needed to take two more classes. It turned out that Harvard extension school had four credit classes he needed to take at his college. He was on his last class and it was a Political Science class about humanitarian aid in times of crisis. It was really interesting topic but it was not something I knew anything about. Also, he has learning differences and he's more of a listening learner. That’s not always conducive and although he has accommodations, it wasn’t working because he couldn’t find someone in the class to provide notes. I realized I really needed a help because the class required writing papers and testing.

Varsity Tutors looked good on the website so I connected with them and they called me. I talked about what kind of tutoring was needed and it took them a couple of days but they connected him with a woman who was a graduate student in Political Science International Relations. It was a good fit because she was very chatty and she liked games. Her encouragement and the way she worked with him gave him a lot more self-confidence than he had going into it. When you combine anxiety with lack of confidence, that makes it even harder but she was able to keep calm and work with him until he really understood it and until he could do it. She was part tutor, part therapist so it was really nice. I’m not sure she realized what a big impact she had on him but I can’t imagine that he would have done as well as he did without her help. He got a B+ for the course and then A- on his last paper which was a big paper, 45% of his grade.

My son even miscalculated when the paper was due. He thought it was due a week from the day it was due but it was actually due the Tuesday after Thanksgiving break. People go home for Thanksgiving and so did his tutor. But she was really helpful. They were able to meet a couple hours over the holiday weekend and she kept giving him support either over the phone or through the shared document on Google Drive. He got a lot out of her and the proof is in the pudding. He was even nervous about looking at his grade but he got an A- on the paper.

Also, I bought extra hours before the paper was due knowing that he would need some more support. But he didn’t use them all and I didn’t realize there was a deadline for getting my money back. Still, they gave me my money back for the hours he didn’t use and I was happy with that. That was very nice of them. Varsity Tutors wasn't cheap but at that point, I felt, "Whatever it takes." And it was worth the money. I would definitely recommend it.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Elaine. It's great to hear your son did so well in his Political Science course. We appreciate that his tutor went the extra mile to make sure he got his paper done on time and received an A-. Here's to a successful future and career for your son!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Parents should be really prepared on what the issues and learning challenges are so that Varsity can pair their child with the most appropriate tutor. I think that makes a big difference. I spent quite a bit of time talking to someone at Varsity Tutors. We went through what the situation was with my daughter and what were the challenges with learning she was having. He made a point to pair us up with a tutor that specializes with that and did a really good job matching the tutor with Paige.. We had a tutor who was a teacher and had a master’s degree. He was very well qualified.

Also, being a working parent, for me to get my daughter somewhere was going to be very hard so doing the virtual tutoring was great. Plus, we got access to someone who we may have not been able to have access to because he was out of state. So we got someone with the specialty no matter where he was located. I talked with the tutor briefly before my daughter's first session on what he was going to do and how to keep her engaged. We did tutoring at 6:30 at night. That’s when we got home and she’s probably not the most attentive at that time but he did a really good job of keeping her engaged. He also helps her break down things in reading, which was where she was struggling. Working with Varsity Tutors was a good experience for us and we'd probably do it again when we need some tutoring.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Maria. Our tutor selection process ensures that your student is matched with the right tutor, and our tutor guarantee ensures that if the tutor is not the right fit, we will match your student up with another at no cost to you. We take all the guesswork out of searching for a tutor. You get to relax and see the results of your student's success.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

The previous tutoring service I had was a private one-on-one, face-to-face tutoring which was really good. But Varsity Tutor was just as good with the Skype situation. They both worked for us. We had a problem with our first tutor with Varsity Tutors and I've already gone over that with some other people. But our second tutor was fantastic. She was really great and patient. My daughter needed Varsity Tutors for the ACT practice tests and they did practice sets. Then they went through and talked about the answer and why my daughter got it wrong and what it should be. It took a lot of time to make sure that she understood the material on the practice set before they move on to something else. My daughter needed to get into college and Varsity Tutors did want we wanted them to do. I would definitely recommend them.

Varsity Tutors response

Missy, we are so happy for your daughter! Our live learning platform allows the student to meet with a tutor anywhere, anytime. Having the help for test prep definitely gives a student the extra edge come test time. If your daughter needs any tutoring while in college, please give us a call.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Varsity Tutors is really good. I like that they have a board where I can see and they can see what's on it, too. My tutor, Brenda, has been perfectly fine. But the first tutor I had walked around while trying to tutor me, and I could see it in the background. And sometimes, when you sense certain things like that, it's not really good. I'm glad that I went with my first scheduling and I got a new tutor immediately.

Brenda broke down every step and went through all the stuff that I needed. She looked at it, reviewed it, and then gave me suggestions, which was really helpful. And it helped the tutoring session go by very smoothly. The price was a little steep and a bigger packet would be good. I don't realize how fast I go through the nine-hour session and I saw myself using more of those than I thought I would use. Other than that, Varsity Tutors has been very helpful. I like how they were able to switch out some more different tutors. I like the time that the tutors are available, too. They are really on time and have everything prepared. Moreover, I'm still able to use what the tutor provided me later on down the line.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Christie! We are pleased that you enjoyed your sessions with Brenda. And we are happy to be part of facilitating the educational goals of our students. We built our online learning platform to provide robust support to students before, during and after their sessions. It is gratifying to know that you felt this was beneficial for you. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can provide any additional support.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

My daughter was working on her bachelor's degree in advance accounting and she had attempted and enrolled in a major course several times over the past two years and was repeatedly unsuccessful. It was the only course she needed to graduate with a degree. On her fourth attempt, she went from an F to a B. Varsity Tutors was really a significant intervention that seemed to make the difference. Her academic performance evidenced significant improvement and Varsity Tutors enable her to be successful and to complete her degree.

If there was one thing that would be a barrier to Varsity Tutors, it would be that they’re very expensive. But they have a national database and they were able to find experts in the area that could provide a service that we were not able to find locally. It was something we really needed. My daughter found Varsity Tutors to be on the same level as the resources available on campus to students at the university. But the university didn’t offer tutoring in the specialized content area that she needed.

My daughter had struggled in the course this last time and we weren’t sure if she was going to be successful. When we ran out of tutoring sessions, I called Varsity Tutors. I only needed one more session to finish the semester and they shared with me how expensive it was. I told the rep it was cost-prohibitive and they gave it to us complimentary. They really extended themselves and went above and beyond. I really appreciated that expression of support for her. Aside from that, I have also always found the representatives of the organization to be very helpful and professional. I’m also a university professor and I’m glad that I know about the resource because it’s also something that I wouldn’t have to pay to refer to my students if they didn’t get the support they needed on campus. I would definitely consider using Varsity Tutors again, too.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for the feedback, Mary! Varsity Tutors is so pleased that your daughter was able to finally pass her course with a strong grade - and complete her degree. Congratulations on her achievement! We are glad that your experience was positive and that you received professional and courteous customer service. If we can do anything further to support your family, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

Four years prior to Varsity Tutors, I used Nannies & Tutors. Varsity Tutors has a lot more flexibility because they will actually come to my home, or we can do an online session. We went for the option that the tutor would come to our home, sit in a little common space with my son, and work with him for the hour. I would try to leave so that I was not a distraction, but I could hear some of it. The tutor was very patient and instructional. If my son started to show signs of not being interested, she had a good way of pulling him back in and re-engaging him to get him to focus on the task at hand. She also identified some ways to help him get through the text. It was all about language arts, reading comprehension, specifically, helping him identify ways to break apart a passage to understand exactly what was being said, and ways to summarize that.

We used Varsity Tutors last summer, and the simple fact of keeping my son engaged in that type of thought process instead of taking the whole summer off was a huge help. It definitely has carried him through the current school year and allowed him to practice those mechanisms in class. Additionally, Varsity Tutors has a good variety of packages that we could go with, and there was the ability to purchase by hours. They have larger discounts with larger number of hours that we would purchase. And then during times when they have failed on those hours, there's 15% off for returning users, which was nice too. It's not just a set price, and you don't get any breaks.

As long as you are very clear in what it is that you are trying to accomplish with the tutor, Varsity Tutors has a very large variety of tutors to select from, and so they're able to customize pretty well. Obviously, you never know until you put two people together if they're going to match, but as far as what we're looking for in expertise, they did a great job of matching up a tutor with my son.

Varsity Tutors response

We are so pleased that your family has had a positive experience with Varsity Tutors and that your son is seeing the benefits of his efforts. Taking advantage of tutoring during the Summer months is a great way to avoid learning loss that can occur. And this oftentimes provides increased confidence for students at the start of the new school year as well. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can provide any additional support. And thank you for your feedback, Reagan!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I was very happy with Varsity Tutors. We had just a local man, who we knew through word of mouth that did some tutoring but he wasn't versed enough in the different types of tests that my son was going to be taking. Varsity Tutor was far more professional. The tutor that we got, Joseph, was really smart and patient. I thought that he's more in touch with the content.

Joseph prepared my son well for high school entrance exams that he was going to be taking. He had an extensive list of vocabulary words that he should know and he had a lot of good shortcuts and studying tricks. Varsity Tutors has definitely helped my son. He's a better student for it. I would tell others about them and that they help improve the kids' scores and learning process. But they're just very expensive. I would have appreciated if we had a discount of some kind when we added more hours, like more of customer loyalty.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Kristi! We are so pleased that Joseph was a good fit for your son's learning. And that the tutoring sessions helped prepare him for his exams and build his confidence. Varsity Tutors periodically has promotions and discounts on our tutoring packages, so we are hopeful that you can take advantage of those savings should you have any future needs. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can provide any additional support.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Varsity Tutors has good tutors. I have established a relationship with Varsity Tutors and continued using them. Their tutors are all super helpful and prompt. My son really loves both of the tutors that he's working with right now. He's got a math tutor, as well as a Spanish and English tutor. They bring a clarification to the subject for him. It's a one-on-one so he understands the information a little better. He seems very content and he's happy that they come once a week. The experience has been extremely successful for my child.

Varsity Tutors response

We are very glad to learn of your son's success with his Spanish and English tutors. Building that relationship with his tutors is one of the keys to success. The one on one sessions help the student get that individualized learning that just is not possible in the classroom. Thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I had consulted with some friends that had used SAT prep classes for their kids and most of the parents I spoke with were not satisfied with the companies they had used. I googled some companies and came up with Varsity Tutors. I did a little bit of research on my own as I did not know anybody that had previously used Varsity Tutors. My son was looking for one-on-one consulting and didn't want to join a class or get one-on-one tutoring. It just sounded really convenient as far as being able to do it from our home. Moreover, the tutors had the credentials.

I talked to my son afterwards and he said what he really learned was how to take the ACTs. They really focused on the English component of it. Since he was stronger on the Math side, they focused more on where he needed to improve. It went really well and it definitely improved his ACT. He is going to MIT now and I'm very proud. It works really well since the lessons are individualized to the student. My niece is a senior this year and used Varsity Tutors based on my recommendation. She was able to get into the college she wanted. I would highly recommend Varsity Tutors.

Varsity Tutors response

Congratulations to your son for his admission to MIT! And to your niece on her college acceptance as well. Your family should be very proud of their hard work and the benefits they are receiving because of those efforts. We are pleased to have had the opportunity to help facilitate their success. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can provide any additional support moving forward. And thank you for your feedback, Karen!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I've been very pleased with my tutor. I'm doing internet marketing and he has always been very knowledgeable about that. The experience has always been good and I would recommend Varsity Tutors. The background of the tutors was impressive. The company is also always very attentive. They're right there and they return your calls.

Varsity Tutors response

At Varsity Tutors, we always strive to provide quality tutoring support and outstanding customer service. We are happy to be part of facilitating the educational goals of our clients. And we are so glad your experience has been a positive one. Thank you for your feedback, Jane!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I saw that Varsity Tutors had really good reviews and that they were really student-focused. They focused on what the student wants instead of just going over the material. My tutor was really good at asking me about what I wanted to focus on and where I was struggling with the most. Moreover, he's really good at finding questions that would challenge me, which is something I needed a lot, and going over all the problems that I struggled with. He helped me see things in a different way. He would challenge me, but he'd also hint at where I should go. He made me really focus on what the question was asking instead of all the unneeded material that I was thinking about. Having a tutor really helped increase my capabilities in learning the material, as opposed to studying on my own. I had a really good learning experience and I couldn't have asked for a better company.

Varsity Tutors response

We are so pleased that you had a successful experience with your tutor! Building confidence with subject matter material is one of the benefits of meeting consistently with a qualified tutor. If we can help with anything in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out. And thank you for your feedback, Ceattle!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We've been very happy with Varsity Tutors. It has helped Ari and his Algebra grades, which is why we got the tutor last year, have gone upward. Moreover, he has a better understanding. His learning experience has been positive. It was well worth the money.

Varsity Tutors response

So glad to hear of Ari's success with his Algebra grades! All of us at Varsity Tutors are pleased that the tutoring has been a positive experience for him. If there is anything else we can do to support your son's educational goals, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. And thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I'm not the typical customer, a 57-year-old grad student looking for a tutor. It's a little bit of a tougher sell because Varsity Tutors usually get kids and parents. With tutors, you never really know what you're going to get. It's a hit or miss and the first tutor I had tended to be less of a teacher and more of a doer. She was young and I had more knowledge. A 20-year-old wasn't the tutor that I wanted and it wasn't going to work. My experience then was a little iffy but they've been fabulous in terms of their professionalism in following up and making sure everything's fine.

When I called up the offices, they were very good listeners. They were very keen and attentive to what I wanted. But they are also talking to everybody so clients have to state who they are and what they want. There are a lot of different people with a lot of different needs and the match is very random so clients should not settle for the first two or three people they get. Clients can also decide if they want online or in-person tutoring. I originally did not want online, but in the end that worked better for me because there was a bigger pool of tutors out there and it was actually easier.

In the end, I was very specific about my needs and then it matched up. It definitely takes advocacy on your part, which is normal. Nobody's going to come in knowing what goes with your needs. I got really lucky and Jennifer has been so incredible in the last two years. I need help with writing for social work school, and she guides me, gives me instructions and helps me with an outline. I go back and do the work, then we get back together and she edits my papers. It's been a great experience and the service is reasonably priced too.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Eileen! Varsity Tutors works with students of varying ages and educational needs and we are glad that you came to us for support. Jennifer seems to be a good fit to facilitate your learning and to provide you with tools for your success. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can do anything else to help you achieve your goals.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

My tutor was very understanding, nice, and attentive. His name was Jay-jay and I liked the fact that he was on time for our scheduled tutoring. He helped me get the minimum score I needed on my GRE to apply for a program. I learned more than I would have during high school and it was an excellent experience. He gave me practice worksheets so I was able to practice on my own time. Also, the websites he provided and the vocabulary part of the GRE were helpful.

Varsity Tutors response

Varsity Tutors is pleased that your tutor was a good fit for you, Alicia! And that you achieved the results you were seeking on your GRE. If there is anything else we can do to support your goals, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Best of luck to you moving forward. And thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

The tutor our kids had was top-drawer and our interactions have been completely professional and extremely helpful. She is so smart, reliable, and works great with both of my children. It's been a very positive experience because we were not sure if the kids were learning in the school so it was extremely stressful. I didn't know how to ask the questions that I needed to ask. I was daunted and it was a really dark moment. Varsity Tutors, however, was like, "We're going to figure this out." They've been great and they were always available with any sort of issue that we had but didn't demand feedback all the time. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your kind feedback, Alex! We are happy to hear of the positive experience your children had with the tutor. We work hard to ensure that we find a great fit for each student so they have the best opportunity for success. If there is anything else we can do to support your family, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Varsity Tutors had people local to where I lived and sent me someone that I was really happy with. My daughter has had two different tutors. Originally, I hired a precalculus tutor. They were very understanding of the kind of tutor that I wanted and sent me exactly that type of person. He's incredibly conscientious, kind and super smart. He also has a very nice demeanor. Moreover, he calls if you wait 10 seconds. For a very short time, I also had a tutor for world history before the AP exams last year. My daughter was really worried about it, but she got a five out of five on the exam. I had a good experience with both tutors.

The math tutor we had last year came back this week and he'll come back again after this. My daughter was really sick, so he is helping me get her back up to speed on some stuff. In addition, I just recently signed up for SAT prep. That starts tonight with a new tutor. As much as she does not want to deal with schoolwork, once school is out, it really calms her down when she's preparing for a test. She struggled in the middle of the semester last spring, but she ended up with an A- and got a perfect score until her final exam. If they sent a tutor that is not right for you, then you don't need to hesitate to call and ask for someone different. They would try to accommodate you. Working with them has been productive.

Varsity Tutors response

Varsity Tutors strives to connect students with the right tutor to meet their individual needs. And we are always pleased when students achieve their goals. If we can do anything else to support your family, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you for your kind feedback, Alice!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

The company's not reliable or trustworthy. They didn't find me a tutor until after the cancellation period had expired. Now they refuse to provide a refund. The company recommended I transfer the tutor hours to someone else. This is not fair. Just want a refund. As a military member I feel misled.

Varsity Tutors response

Veronica, we attempted to reach you several times in recent months but were unable to connect with you personally. We understand how frustrating it can be for students when a tutor doesn't meet expectations. Our tutor guarantee ensures that your initial session was credited back to your account and a new tutor was found that we hoped would meet your needs. All of us here at Varsity Tutors are disappointed that you did not have a more positive experience. Please contact Virginia with our client service management team at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com. She will be happy to speak with you to provide a more positive outcome. And thank you for your feedback!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My son's tutor helped him with his executive function skills and ability to multitask. They did weekly sessions for 90 minutes a week for a total of eight sessions. It didn't focus so much on homework itself, but on studying and how to prepare for school. My son had a good interaction with his tutor and he was very reactive to the tutoring. Varsity Tutors provides a tailored tutoring experience based on the needs of the individual. Overall, it was a very good experience and I'd recommend them.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Justin! Our placement team works hard to ensure that students are matched with an expert tutor that will be able to meet the needs of the individual. All of us at Varsity Tutors are happy to hear that your son enjoyed his sessions and experienced success with his tutoring. Please reach out if there is anything else we can do to support him.

Resolution response: Jan. 10, 2018

Varsity Tutors really cares about their brand. After I complained about my tutor on this website, they reviewed my session and promised to give some amount back to me since the tutor finished the session halfway earlier than the arranged time. I want to thank to the management team for helping me on this issue. It is very nice of them, but I think the problem should be solved by choosing the qualified tutors. Maybe it is something hard in this sector, too.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Tutors are really seem like fraud guys, I think the workers should be much more careful whom they are allowing to teach on this website. The guy I took a course said me that he will send the answers directly for my HW after the session. His name is "Reda **", but he did not. I spent about $150 just futile, so sad. :((( Hate fraud people and things, but they are happy with that. :(

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I was in a crisis mode as my son was finishing his senior year and didn't have a lot of time. And Varsity Tutors was responsive. The tutor mainly helped in developing the outline for my son's final English papers, and he also helped proofread them. Each time my son would have a little bit of homework to do from a session, the tutor would help him with the proofing after he wrote them. It wasn't necessarily mastering, but it was helping him develop better writing. Everything was done online. I scheduled the classes for him and he logged in and held the sessions. My son was happy with his experience overall.

Varsity Tutors response

Senior year is such a busy time for students, and many find that they need a little extra support to finish strong! All of us at Varsity Tutors are so happy to hear that your son had success with his tutoring. We wish him the best of luck moving forward. And thank you for your feedback, Debbie!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Varsity Tutors is a million times better than my previous tutor. I got rid of the other company because they weren't reliable. I needed someone who is consistent to show up. And the tutor from Varsity is consistent and she's very good at explaining concepts to my little one. I'm very pleased overall. They’re doing a great job and I’d refer them to whoever.

Varsity Tutors response

We are so glad to hear you are pleased with your tutor! We find that students who meet consistently with a tutor typically have greater success long-term. We are dedicated to helping people learn. So please do not hesitate to reach out if there is anything that we can do to continue to support your family.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

My boys really like having the online tutorials available anytime and they’re enjoying it. Varsity Tutors' pricing is in line with other tutorials. It’s all fairly expensive but it serves the convenience of having it 24 hours in your house. You’re allowed to take them anywhere. Jake, my son, is getting ready to start tomorrow. My other son has been doing it with different tutors and he’s enjoying it. Varsity Tutors is definitely helping them. We had AP Computer Science and Chemistry and it’s tough to find a good tutor for the upper-end subjects. They’ve been very helpful and they contact me when my hours are running low. When I only have 5 hours left of tutoring time, if they have a promotion going on, they let me know if I want to sign up for more hours and I can do so now at a discounted rate. I have recommended Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

Varsity Tutors is a good company to use if you need help. They can come to the house, which is really helpful, or work on the computer or they can meet you somewhere if you have a laptop. They also send people out with master’s level. The lady who came to my house was working on her master’s degree so I felt she was very well-educated. She walked me through some things and reminded me about correct grammar that I have forgotten because I'm an older person. I kind of slide in the slang like hasn't, wasn't, and isn't, which are not correct grammar for academic papers. Varsity Tutors is definitely worth the money and they got me over a hump. My tutor gave me the confidence to do something on my own. I used Varsity Tutors until I felt like I didn't need them anymore, but I'm definitely going to call them back.

Varsity Tutors response

We are very happy to hear how well your sessions went with your tutor! Having that versatility in meeting in person or working on the live learning platform with a tutor gives our clients the flexibility they need in their busy lives. We look forward to working with you again!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

My son is getting ready for high school and we figured that preparing him a little bit more wouldn't hurt. I've never had a tutor. And so I googled and I liked that Varsity Tutor had a very good review. They asked me a few questions and then they sent someone who is knowledgeable for what we needed and the guy was amazing. He was very knowledgeable in English and in Math and everything that we needed. He’s an older gentleman, very pleasant and a very good tutor. We've been doing about two months tutoring already and my son’s ready for the test. Varsity has been great and I recommended them to people that had asked about tutoring services and I gave their number out.

Varsity Tutors Company Information