3.44/5
  • 1 star
Based on 50 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 33,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over two million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

56 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Resolution response: March 23, 2017

Varsity Tutors are responsive to your needs.  They address any concerns you have and provide appropriate solutions.  Initially, I was not satisfied with my daughter's tutor, however after I addressed it with the company, I received a call back from Amanda, one of their Directors, who immediately provided a solution that went above and beyond expectations.  I highly recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed! They essentially place your child's academic future in the hands of a College STUDENT who is not equipped with the experience and perceptiveness to identify your child's area of improvement, nor are they responsible. Here's what happened - judge for yourself... My daughter's ACT score remained the exact same as her "cold test" score. The "tutor" initially met with my daughter in person and then said he had to go back to college, which was out-of-state. As a result, he switched from in-person to online video chat sessions. He also was tutoring a total of 6 students in addition to attending college full time. Due to HIS scheduling conflicts, my daughter's sessions were far apart. I assumed (which I will NEVER do again) that Varsity Tutors would keep their promise to me, which was they manage the Tutors closely.

If they did in fact manage this specific tutor, they would have IMMEDIATELY seen the red flags. The reason I say "Immediately" is because when I called them to complain, they pulled up my daughter's file and told me they could see exactly why my daughter's score did not improve - "It's impossible for a student to retain all of the information when the sessions are scheduled so far apart". Hmmm, well who scheduled them this far apart?? Their tutor did! Not my daughter. And, of course, I assumed this was the process, as I have never used a tutor before - this was our first time. I honestly feel they should have refunded my money (almost $1,000) or assigned free sessions to work with another tutor, but neither was offered. Basically, there was no remediation. My daughter was so disappointed and it ended up impacting academically of course.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Have enrolled for English for my son. They [Varsity Tutors] find engineer to teach which makes no sense. Has one tutor who after first session never returned text to teach more and after 3 weeks says she is no longer with them. Now we have a tutor which is a good fit and have not fixed a time because some paper I have not signed. We have used 4 hours of our time and now you are doing finding such road blocks. I feel going to a local place who have teacher from the school in their free time teaching will be the best for my kids. So disappointed with the experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

We started using your in-home tutoring services in 2015 for our daughter. We are incredibly happy with our tutor as well as the results our daughter has attained. We tell everyone we know about our experience and about how Varsity Tutors is the gold standard in academic tutoring!! Thank you!!!

Resolution response: March 9, 2017

After several calls and emails we finally spoke to someone who acknowledged our frustration with VT's poor customer service. We did received a refund for the unused balance in our account.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

We used VT a couple of years ago and they were fine. We received a call from one of their reps stating that we had a balance of hours to use and to call them if we needed. So, we did. It's been 2 weeks and we're still not connected with a tutor. They offered online tutoring which we did not want, so I called and asked for a manager. I was told I would hear back from someone that day, however it's been 2 days and I haven't heard from anyone. I'm guessing because we have some free hours left that we paid for, that we're at the bottom of the list. Each time we call, we get someone else who gives us the runaround. We are incredibly frustrated and disappointed, and at this point we have requested that our money be refunded. I would not recommend using them to anyone!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

My son has always struggled with Algebra. He is a freshman in college now and away at school. He is taking a college algebra class now. He has used resources at the school but has still been struggling with his class. I reached out to Varsity Tutors and signed my son up for online tutoring. It has been great and is giving him the confidence boost he needs to get through the class. It is easy to set up appointments and they meet in the library based on my son's schedule. I highly recommend Varsity Tutors for online or in person tutoring if your child is struggling. It gives me peace knowing he is getting some extra help with a qualified tutor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

I have had a great experience with Varsity Tutors. I was in need of a math tutor for my son and they quickly placed me after hearing my son's needs to make sure we found the right fit. They constantly stay in touch to see how the process is going and make sure you are happy! I highly recommend Varsity Tutors!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

This service is amazing. It's more than I expected at the beginning, then I can recommend to other friends. I think it's one of the best in merchant. Teachers are really good, good speaking, great content, all we need is there. If you don't understand you can ask and ask many times, that's great. Their platform is very easy to navigate. We were surprised the first time because I thought it would be more difficult, but I just need few moments. Well, preparation is one of the strongest points from this project. It is well prepared, everybody cares it and feel it. This project is growing up very fast.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

Varsity Tutors were very helpful. They were very easy to use. The Tutor we had came to our home and was not only smart in the subject matter but also extremely personable. We achieved our goal, which was tackling the ACT test. I highly recommend this service.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

This helped me a lot in my test preparation. It has plenty of practice questions for all sections of the test. You can use alone or with a partner/group. There are practice test sections as well to give you a feeling for what the test will be like. Well written by top-notch educators. The teachers who write and present the material have extensive experience in their fields. This is the best source of test information out there today. It was very easy for me to access all the materials needed to prepare for the GRE. It was easy to find the actual book material as well as all the material online. I highly recommend this. I used the book several times over several weeks. I did practice tests and questions by myself and with a friend. When I was confused on something, I read the advice and tips. It really helped me to succeed.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I think that the price was fair for what I got. A lot of prep books are overpriced these days and I didn't feel this way about this brand. I really felt like I was learning things with these prep courses. Also, things that I had problems with or questions about were cleared up for me. I was able to access all the material in various different ways. I could find them in store or online as well so I never had any trouble finding them. I would do the practice tests times as if I was really taking the test in real life and that helped prepare me a lot. I thought the practice tests were similar to the real one.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I learned to study better. I would recommend this course to my siblings and my friends. This was a great course. The teacher that taught me was very experienced. She knew what she was talking about and she helped me develop a better understanding of the things I was learning in school while also preparing me. The materials were very easy to access. I had my teacher do some extra tutoring. I stayed up all night in preparation for an exam over the length of a few months. We did review of all the material that was learned in class as well as extra work. We reviewed and preview each segment.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

It helped the user through the basics of the GRE and what to expect; however, its in-depth analysis was lacking. I wish they would have further explain their answers. The teacher was helpful and insightful. But I just felt that something was missing from the curriculum to help me succeed on the GRE. I still scored fairly well, but I felt like I could have studied alone and been fine. The course was incredibly easy to access. The format was simple, yet effective. This was one of the few things this course got right in my opinion. Again, to reiterate, the course I feel did not prepare me as well as I would have hoped when I signed up.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Definitely helped me pass a test in an area I was struggling in. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without this assistance. I thank them sincerely. Teachers took their time with me, explained everything I needed help with and was extremely helpful even without needing help. Covered areas thoroughly. Very easy to access and navigate throughout. I didn't think at first it would have been so easy but I was quite surprised at how easy it was to navigate. If I hadn't prepared for this test I would have definitely failed it. I'm thankful I prepared in the manner that I did 'cause I wouldn't have been able to manage without the preparation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

I am happy with the Varsity tutoring. I enjoy the one-on-one experience and get good grades on my exams. I have a tutor in trig and it seems to help tremendously. The experience with the teacher is outstanding. No question is too dumb or too embarrassing. They give you their time and will go over the problem until you get it. The access is great. They work around your schedule and set up the days you want. The tutors will meet you on or off campus or even at a cafe. The preparation usually includes long days of studying hard. My tutor usually meets with me two days prior to the test. The day before, I will let them quiz me until I get it. Very helpful and friendly.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

Varsity Tutors has made getting help for my son easy and convenient. He received a specialized tutor for help to achieve a higher score on the ASVAB exam. One of the best things is that any hours that was unused could be transferred to his brother who is currently receiving help to improve his ACT score! I am very pleased with the support and professionalism of this company. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

When I contacted Varsity Tutors, I was looking for someone who could help my daughter with middle school math concepts. She always gets good grades but she tends to need a little extra coaching and encouragement with new topics. She also needs math to be FUN and engaging. Once I contacted them, the Director reached out to me directly to understand what my child needed, how she learns, and a little about her personality. They quickly matched me with an AMAZING tutor, Nicole. Nicole is outstanding and my daughter doesn't dread her sessions because Nicole makes it fun to learn. I would highly recommend Varsity Tutors to any parent.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2016

I had excellent tutoring experience for my GRE preparation with the Varsity Tutors. I had a personal, one-on-one tutoring for the general GRE preparation. The tutor was knowledgeable and takes his time to explain the material that I did not understand. He also made the tutoring sessions engaging and therefore very beneficial. Scheduling for tutoring sessions was flexible - depending on my work schedule. During the sessions we discussed material, practiced essay writing and practiced questions in quantitative and verbal sections. The exercise for each day was determine by my knowledge level for a specific topic and what we both decided will be most useful for my learning process. At the end of each session, the tutor gave me assignments to work on before the following session. We discussed the assignments at the beginning of the sessions before we started on new material.

The tutoring help me to understand lots of study material that I would not have on my own. Although I have not yet written my GRE to determine my score, I would like to say that the tutoring made a huge difference in my GRE knowledge base and will definitely improve my scores from what I would have scored otherwise. It is important for me to mention that Varsity Tutors asked for a review of each tutoring session. They also call from time to time and inquire how the tutoring is going and whether there are any concerns that need to be addressed. The frequent checks by the organization to ensure that the tutoring is going well is very reassuring. Varsity Tutors' one-on-one tutoring is quite expensive, but if you get the tutor like the one I had, you would have not wasted money. I highly recommend Varsitytutors for GRE tutoring.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

I started using Varsity Tutors to help prepare myself for the GRE. I was matched up with a perfect tutor, JJ, who I bonded with well. His teaching style fit my learning style completely. After a long summer of many tutoring sessions, I felt very prepared for my upcoming test and was very confident going in. I had a lot of support from JJ as well as encouragement. Without the tutoring sessions I definitely would have been a lot more nervous. I finished the test with a score I was glad to have and if I ever wanted to take it again I still feel prepared just from what I learned in my many tutoring sessions. I would recommend anyone to use this company for any type of test. They are fantastic!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

Bait and Switch. This is a scam. They do not have tutors in your area. They tell you that and you have to pay upfront and then they just want to give you someone online. They told me they would have many people to choose from and that they had people with skills in working with students with LD. Trash. They don't. They lie to sell you. Going to be reporting them to the BBB and the Missouri attorney general's office.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

My daughter needed a tutor to help her prep for the ACT exam. I used Varsity Tutors and was assigned an online tutor. I paid $1600 for 12 two hour sessions. The first few sessions went according to the schedule we set, then the tutor didn't show up for a session. Varsity Tutors quickly switched me to a new tutor and we started all over again. Once again sessions would be set up and then cancelled or moved for the convenience of the tutor. Several sessions were changed at the last minute or cancelled. The full amount hours of tutoring service contracted were not used because of the cancellations and rescheduling.

When I asked for a refund for the hours not used, I was told no by Varsity Tutors. They stated that we have gone beyond our 60 days from the time of purchase and no longer qualified for a refund. The only reason we didn't use all of the hours was because of cancelled sessions and switching tutors in the middle of the scheduled sessions. I believe the instructors use Varsity Tutors as a convenient way to make money on the side and when it's inconvenient for them, they cancel or reschedule, without regard for the student's best interest and needs. The only thing they are very good at is a "phone apology" for the sorry service. They get a lot of practice in this area.

Original review: July 29, 2016

When you call they advise you they can find you a local tutor but before they can search you need to pay upfront for a minimum of 5 hours of tutoring. They called us back the next day, advised us there were no local Pre Calculus High School tutors available in the Austin, TX area but they found one in Colorado who could use a web cam and computer to tutor my daughter. We tried for several sessions. The tutor was not experienced in Pre-Calculus for high school students but she tried. My daughter felt like she needed a one on one person in person tutor to help her. We tried to get a refund but Varsity Tutors insisted once our daughter got to college they would be able to help us so leave the money as a credit on the account. Just last week we tried to locate tutors for college Algebra in the Brenham, TX area and were told they had no local tutors and that it was too late to get our money back. This company is a con and should be avoided at all costs.

Original review: May 10, 2016

BEWARE! Varsity Tutors is extremely shady, so heed this warning. I was initially very desperate for a tutor for a difficult class. Absolutely no local tutor was able to help me and even friends from university couldn't answer my questions about the subject. Alas, I gave in and called Varsity Tutors. Their 60 day refund guarantee and seemingly positive reviews was good enough for me, IN THAT MOMENT. HOWEVER, once I'd actually signed up, I realized how sketchy this company is. My warnings about the sketchiness this company hides: The website itself is VERY difficult to navigate. They don't even have a login button on the home page...So it's hard to log in to my account if I need to have an overview of my payments or tutoring sessions.

Prices are NOT given on the website. You have to manually call them, which is absolutely stupid. When I called, the person on the phone was really good at buttering me up and convincing me that I'd be all caught up in class. They made it seem like they were gods. Obviously, desperate me fell for it. Do NOT fall for it. If you look at "Testimonials and Reviews," you'll see ONLY positive, good reviews. It seemed to good to be true, and I'd google other reviews on them to no success. Varsity Tutors has managed to FILTER reviews on them, only letting positive reviews influence you. There's no room for someone to review them, including me. Imagine how many bad things have been screened for. Reviews are biased, so you don't see the full side.

Now, on my experience with Varsity Tutors: My tutor was ok. I was excited at first, because my tutor's bio stated a degree related to the subject I was studying as well as coming from a very prestigious, TOP university. Unfortunately, the level of depth my subject required was WAY too much. I don't blame my tutor, but I blame Varsity Tutors for acting like they had the help I needed. They didn't even ask to see the material I was studying to confirm whether or not they could help. It seems like they assumed I was stupid and believed that covering the basics was enough to guarantee me success. They honestly said, "yeah we'll catch you right up." The people that run Varsity Tutors had the NERVE to guarantee my academic success when that's completely in control of their overworked, under compensated tutors.

There were times when I had to correct my tutor or many other moments when they didn't know the answer. It got to the point that I didn't feel the tutor was greatly knowledgeable enough to help me, so I wanted to quit the program. Again, nothing on my tutor. The fact that I asked friends from top universities such as an IVY LEAGUE who couldn't help me already says enough about the material I was dealing with. When I called to get a refund, NO ONE picked up the first time. Hmm, funny that they picked up when I wanted to sign up and pay for the program. I left a message and told them to call me back. Waited a few days and they didn't call me back. Ok, maybe they were busy. I called back a second time from a DIFFERENT phone, and they did pick up. They claimed that they'd call me back within that same day.

As SOON as I hung up, I never got a call back. It took some credit card company intervention to get a hold of them. Let's be honest. They were probably avoiding my call every possible chance to avoid giving me back my refund, so that when the 60 days were over, it'd be my fault for not getting a hold of them. I'd say having to wait a few days to call is maybe tolerable, but not getting a call back in over a week? Unacceptable. Please be careful and lord I pray you read these reviews before getting with their program. The testimonials are from rich parents that have the money to splurge on basic tutoring for kids that probably didn't have the discipline to learn the basics on their own. The amount of time a tutor wastes with you is an insult for someone that's capable of self learning but just needed PROFESSIONAL/KNOWLEDGEABLE/QUALIFIED help.

Do notice that most testimonials are from 12th grade and under, and the majority are for standardized tests such as SATs or APs. In my case, I was learning abstract material that went above and beyond my basic class, and my tutor, having a degree in that material, should have been able to help me. But as I found out, there's no guarantee. I guess my target audience for this review is for people that never needed tutoring and considered giving in because they were desperate. Remember, if you initially could learn stuff on your own, it's possible the material is now just extremely difficult, and a tutor is not going to make you smarter or bridge the gap. A tutor is for those that absolutely can't do it on their own. So know your strengths and know what you actually need. And for everyone's sake, do NOT let this trash company scam you.

Original review: April 11, 2016

I feel I have to write something to raise the company's attention for the quality of their tutor service! I spent a big money, purchased hours from Varsity Tutors to help my kids' preparing for standard tests, PSAT, SAT and AP exams. They don't need seat in generic prep classes for everything but will need to target their weak spots. I expected this one-to-one tutoring be more efficient and effective to help them achieve the goal.

However, we couldn't achieve this with Varsity Tutors. They can't provide a qualified tutor for test prep! My kids had to educate those tutors they sent in to us on SAT tests and AP exams! My daughter has graduated from high school without benefit from Varsity Tutors' service at all. She feel lucky to not have to deal with those tutors anymore. My son, now after several tryouts, refuses to use any more tutors from Varsity Tutors. He thinks they "Waste his time instead of help him"! I do see myself. They come in first time unprepared and start, have my kids tell them what will be tested and which format of test will be used and how they can help? I had to hire another private tutor out of Varsity Tutors to help my son on his PSAT prep. My son was so impressed by that private tutor.

Varsity Tutors now is a big headache to me! They refuse to refund us remaining balance. I paid over $3000 and they charged us to tryout their tutors. We still have most of the hours. So can you tell me what I need to do to get out of this without loss my remaining money. We have been charged by those unproductive tryouts! It seems totally wrong way for Varsity Tutors' conduct business like this! BTW, the Varsity Tutors' administrative ladies are very nice and polite although they have not found a right tutor for my kids.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

I had a contract with Varsity Tutors for my daughter (SAT). She had taken the exam twice before with no improvement and Varsity Tutors assured me that she would improve her score at least 100 points. She worked diligently with the tutor, but when she retook the test, she had the same score as before. When I confronted Varsity Tutors about their "100% money back guarantee" they told me that all they could offer my daughter was more tutoring. This was impossible as she cannot take another Sat and get into college in time. I was extremely disappointed with their false advertising of a money back guarantee. This was a terrible experience for my daughter and I feel swindled.

Varsity Tutors Company Information