2. Education
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.88/5

Varsity Tutors is an online learning platform that connects students and professionals to tutors in various subjects. With Varsity Tutors, you get access to instant tutoring services for education levels from kindergarten through college as well as for exams like those for CPA certification. Visit the company’s website to find out if its services fit your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Varsity Tutors offers comprehensive online tutoring services, including free and paid options, with guaranteed results. Though some features require payment, all learners can access an assessment test and a study plan.

PROS

• Instant tutoring available
  • Money-back guarantee
  • Free classes and resources

CONS

• Adult group classes require pay
  • In-person tutoring not in all cities

Top Varsity Tutors Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

All summer long I worried about what to present my children with that could keep them informed, educated, entertained and provide hands-on activities. When I discovered Varsity Tutors and their outstanding line up of instructors… it kept my children more and more engaged. I appreciate how there is a

Our kids enjoy being able to take a variety of "elective" classes through the free live classes with Varsity Tutors. They find so many topics that they are interested in learning more about and because they are free and easily accessible, I like signing them up! … Thank you for providing this for us

Varsity Tutors Call Now Toll Free (888) 870-9414 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

What is Varsity Tutors?

Varsity Tutors is a flexible online learning solution for students of all ages in a wide range of subjects, including comprehensive K-12. It offers academic, test prep and certification tutoring as well as linguistic guidance in eight languages. Varsity’s instruction comes in a range of formats, and the school has tutors in hundreds of subjects. Students can sign up for a series, attend free large-group classes, self-study, attend homeschool online and more.

Subject experts lead the free online large-group courses, and tutors for live one-on-one private sessions are hand-picked. Some students might prefer Varsity’s smaller classes, which include more instructor interaction, collaboration and tailored lessons. Self-study is free and comes with a learning lab, adaptive assessments and personalized learning plans.

For parents searching for learning alternatives, Varsity Tutors’ School@Home program could be the answer. This is an online approach to live homeschool for K-12 students — the platform includes live instruction, scheduling, homework supervision and progress reports. It’s available in three formats:

• School@Home Supplement is for children in school who want supplemental learning materials or extra practice.
  • School@Home Classes provides access to School@Home live instruction without any additional resources.
  • School@Home Replacement acts as a full-time school program for students.

Varsity Tutors also offers a mobile app with live tutoring that allows students to learn on the go. Like the online version, the app features additional learning tools. It also offers instant tutoring, which connects you to a tutor within a few minutes for quick help.

How does Varsity Tutors work?

Students complete an adaptive assessment to identify their needs, strengths and weaknesses, then Varsity Tutors develops a learning plan based on the results, matching students with the best classes and experts for their needs. You can also browse by subject or collection (e.g., STEM Success, Afterschool Brain Builders and Creativity Club).

Varsity’s one-on-one tutoring services are fully customized and personalized. School@Home can supplement or replace in-person instruction, depending on the student's needs. School@Home families can also form learning pods to connect students for group activities and social time.

Varsity Tutors cost

Varsity Tutors offers an array of services at various prices. Its free offerings include large-group classes and self-study groups. Some of its advanced resources, such as the School@Home replacement program, cost between $400 and $1,300 per month, depending on your child’s age and needs. Prices for the School@Home supplemental program range from $500 to $600 per month.

If your K-12 child needs one-on-one tutoring, expect to pay $50 per hour. Varsity Tutors also offers tutoring for exam prep, such as CPA certification, which starts at $31 per hour. Smaller group classes start at $25 per hour.

Varsity Tutors FAQ

Does Varsity Tutors do SAT prep?
Varsity Tutors offers tutoring for SAT prep. It guarantees you’ll get a better score or you get your money back.
Where is Varsity Tutors based?
Varsity Tutors is an online platform with offices in several major cities throughout the U.S. The company has headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.
Does Varsity Tutors offer high school and university tutoring?
Varsity Tutors offers K-12 tutoring in all academic subjects. It also provides university-level tutoring in many subjects, including languages, math, science, business, tech, engineering and humanities.

Is Varsity Tutors a legit company?

With its many satisfaction guarantees, it’s clear Varsity Tutors prioritizes its customers’ educational improvement. Its educators are experienced and knowledgeable in their fields, and students can choose from hundreds of subjects in flexible formats. Though Varsity doesn’t provide free large-group classes for college and adult students, it offers numerous free and dependable learning resources for K-12 and other learners.

Varsity Tutors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Fabulous program. Our 1st grader started here after trying public school online. Varsity Tutors is so much better! Small group classes are very small, teachers are friendly and there is a different instructor for each subject. They use zoom but there never seems to be a technical issue that comes up. Our public school had technical issues regularly, too many children in a class and not enough engagement. Varsity Tutors is very engaging. Our son is constantly answering or asking questions and showing active participation. The small class size helps this. They also offer many enrichment courses to choose from and they are included in a remarkably reasonable tuition rate.

I was worried my son wouldn’t be excited about school after online courses because of the pandemic but the opposite has happened. He has had an opportunity to socialize and learn about subjects that interest him as well as core curriculum like math, English and Science. He is also learning so much more than I expected from an online school. I check up with him regularly on math and reading and he has shown major improvement since starting the program so I am so happy. There have been extracurricular courses he wasn’t sure he would like and then the first thing he says after class is “Mama! That was the best class ever!” We are so very thankful to have found Varsity Tutors and given it a try. I couldn’t be more pleased with the results and I really do highly recommend the school replacement program.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is meeting your needs!

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Thierry **'s skill supersedes helpfulness: Every moment is turned into a learning experience. Every mistake is corrected in a constructive manner. Every insight is backed by decades of experience. I came into this tutoring agreement not knowing what this certification was going to entail. I had general subject matter knowledge, I had experience in many of the principles that the PMP incorporates, but the number one issue I faced was that my cup was simply too full to absorb the content of the PMBOK in all its precise nature.

Thierry was able to work with the knowledge I brought to the table and to create a baseline where I could begin building my knowledge into usable contextual practices. He was always patient when I would be resistant to learning a new concept, and beyond the content of the exam itself, he is a wealth of excellent test-taking strategy. If anyone was contemplating a service for tutoring, and if you're struggling on which tutor to pick if you've already arrived here at Varsity Tutors, Thierry is something who I just can't suggest avidly enough. Thanks for everything!

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: July 29, 2020

I would definitely use Varsity Tutors again and would recommend them to a friend. Although I felt confident with the math, I was struggling with the concepts in an online summer Physics course. I completed an online request form and was called first thing the next morning by a representative who asked me what kinds of problems I was having so he could determine a tutor who would be a good fit. They offered to set up a session within 24 hours and had "emergency" tutors available if I needed one right away. I was placed with Mo ** and we clicked immediately. She really did understand the stress and frustration I was having and was able to give me usable strategies right away. The technical format of Varsity Tutors was very user-friendly as well. It was easy to upload images from books (I was a little worried that I had a physical book and not an e-book, but it wasn't a problem at all).

I can see my tutor's face and we can both write on a shared whiteboard. It was such a better experience than trying to use my college's online Zoom tutoring service, which was clumsy, slow, and I couldn't see anyone's face - very impersonal. Mo was knowledgeable, reassuring, and helped build my confidence in subject of Physics. It was a great experience and I wouldn't have made it through 2 months of this summer course without her!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

We contacted Varsity Tutors to get assistance with preparing our 8th grade son for the High School Placement Test. Varsity recommended twelve sessions. But we were in a time-crunch and only had time to do six sessions - at two hours each. We have used tutors before but always in-person. Varsity recommended virtual sessions as they could more easily place us with the right resource for the HSPT. We were a bit unsure as to the effectiveness of online sessions.

Varsity placed us with Natasha. She had deep experience in HSPT preparation. And it turned out to be a great experience. She was able to quickly identify areas of weakness and address them. Probably the most significant and important aspect was her style and ability to connect with our 14 year old son. She had a very positive-feedback style, even and especially, when correcting a wrong answer. She left helpful notes after each session. Sessions are available online to re-watch. And as a parent, I even learned a few tips and tricks in how to better interact with my kids around school/homework.

The final session before the exam she provided specific, targeted test-taking strategies (i.e. our son always got the correct answer on a certain type of question – if he reviewed it twice). It was a very tailored experience. We’re still awaiting the results but definitely feel like we did “all that could be done” to prepare for the exam. We were very pleased with with Natasha and would specifically request her again in the future.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I would strongly recommend Varsity Tutors to anyone interested in seeking help with the GRE. Prior to taking the prep course I was extremely unprepared for the GRE. Now, after taking the course, I can honestly say that I am well prepared for the exam and feel confident in my ability to perform well. One of my favorite things about Varsity Tutors is that they truly care about each and every one of their students, and it shows from the second you decide to enroll. I received a call where I was asked about my preferred learning style and personality type so that my instructor would know more about me and how to best help me learn.

When it came time for the actual class, my instructor made it feel personal despite the fact that we were across the country from one another. He would always ask us questions about where we were from and what our future goals were. I loved the fact that we were able to form relationships even though none of us were in the same state.

My instructor's name was Stephen **. I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of a tutor for the GRE. He is very kind, respectful, and fun. One of my favorite things about him is that he is simply good at teaching. He is very intelligent explains concepts very clearly and thoroughly. He always welcomes questions and finds new ways to explain certain things if students doesn't understand. If I were to take more classes, I would absolutely request to have Stephen ** again. Overall, my experience with Varsity Tutors was great. I got more out of my class than I ever thought I would and I feel prepared to do well on the GRE.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

My 12 year old enjoyed the Dino or Di-Not class presented with the Field Museum. He was at the top age range for the class and they did a great job of keeping it fun and educational even for an experienced Dinosaur fact aficionado like my son. He definitely learned a few new things and was engaged and responding Jeff as he lead the session. It is so fun to see him enjoying and interested in learning in his own chosen field of interest. Getting on a Zoom webinar after all day remote learning concerned me - but because it was something he loved he didn't even hesitate to join in.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

My son and I attended the Dino or Di-not class and we absolutely loved it! The instructor was so fun and interactive, causing my son and I to give each other high fives throughout the whole class. We will definitely be attending more classes here, they were DINO-mite! Sincerely, Shalee & Dante **.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

As a homeschool teacher we love and appreciate the opportunity to attend classes like this. The kids absolutely loved talking about dinosaurs and getting to interact with the teacher. It was fun, well paced and the fact that it was interactive made it all the more exciting. Even Mom had fun listening! The replicas that Jeff had made it come to life. We look forward to the classes in the future.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Having the ability to provide multiple academic resources to my child during this unprecedented time is VITAL. The quality of the resources provided are EXCEPTIONAL! I rave to all my family and friends about the services provided. WELL WORTH THE MONEY AND THE PRICE IS RIGHT! THANK YOU VARSITY TUTORS! MR. ** IS SUPERB!!!!

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

My third grader made significant progress and all while staying interested due to the Mr. **'s willingness to cater to my sons learning style and interest. My daughters tutor Ms. ** was also wonderful; every session was something my daughter looked forward to. Thanks to Ms. **'s focus on making learning fun for her. I am 100% satisfied and grateful for the progress my children were able to make.

Varsity Tutors Company Information