2. Education
  3. Tutoring

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.91/5

Varsity Tutors is an online learning platform that connects students and professionals to tutors in various subjects. With Varsity Tutors, you get access to instant tutoring services for education levels from kindergarten through college as well as for exams like those for CPA certification. Visit the company’s website to find out if its services fit your needs.

BOTTOM LINE

Varsity Tutors offers comprehensive online tutoring services, including free and paid options, with guaranteed results. Though some features require payment, all learners can access an assessment test and a study plan.

PROS
  • Instant tutoring available
  • Money-back guarantee
  • Free classes and resources
CONS
  • Adult group classes require pay
  • In-person tutoring not in all cities

Top Varsity Tutors Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

All summer long I worried about what to present my children with that could keep them informed, educated, entertained and provide hands-on activities. When I discovered Varsity Tutors and their outstanding line up of instructors… it kept my children more and more engaged. I appreciate how there is a

Our kids enjoy being able to take a variety of "elective" classes through the free live classes with Varsity Tutors. They find so many topics that they are interested in learning more about and because they are free and easily accessible, I like signing them up! … Thank you for providing this for us

Varsity Tutors Call Now Toll Free (888) 870-9414 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

What is Varsity Tutors?

Varsity Tutors is a flexible online learning solution for students of all ages in a wide range of subjects, including comprehensive K-12. It offers academic, test prep and certification tutoring as well as linguistic guidance in eight languages. Varsity’s instruction comes in a range of formats, and the school has tutors in hundreds of subjects. Students can sign up for a series, attend free large-group classes, self-study, attend homeschool online and more.

Subject experts lead the free online large-group courses, and tutors for live one-on-one private sessions are hand-picked. Some students might prefer Varsity’s smaller classes, which include more instructor interaction, collaboration and tailored lessons. Self-study is free and comes with a learning lab, adaptive assessments and personalized learning plans.

For parents searching for learning alternatives, Varsity Tutors’ School@Home program could be the answer. This is an online approach to live homeschool for K-12 students — the platform includes live instruction, scheduling, homework supervision and progress reports. It’s available in three formats:

• School@Home Supplement is for children in school who want supplemental learning materials or extra practice.
  • School@Home Classes provides access to School@Home live instruction without any additional resources.
  • School@Home Replacement acts as a full-time school program for students.

Varsity Tutors also offers a mobile app with live tutoring that allows students to learn on the go. Like the online version, the app features additional learning tools. It also offers instant tutoring, which connects you to a tutor within a few minutes for quick help.

How does Varsity Tutors work?

Students complete an adaptive assessment to identify their needs, strengths and weaknesses, then Varsity Tutors develops a learning plan based on the results, matching students with the best classes and experts for their needs. You can also browse by subject or collection (e.g., STEM Success, Afterschool Brain Builders and Creativity Club).

Varsity’s one-on-one tutoring services are fully customized and personalized. School@Home can supplement or replace in-person instruction, depending on the student's needs. School@Home families can also form learning pods to connect students for group activities and social time.

Varsity Tutors cost

Varsity Tutors offers an array of services at various prices. Its free offerings include large-group classes and self-study groups. Some of its advanced resources, such as the School@Home replacement program, cost between $400 and $1,300 per month, depending on your child’s age and needs. Prices for the School@Home supplemental program range from $500 to $600 per month.

If your K-12 child needs one-on-one tutoring, expect to pay $50 per hour. Varsity Tutors also offers tutoring for exam prep, such as CPA certification, which starts at $31 per hour. Smaller group classes start at $25 per hour.

Varsity Tutors FAQ

Does Varsity Tutors do SAT prep?
Varsity Tutors offers tutoring for SAT prep. It guarantees you’ll get a better score or you get your money back.
Where is Varsity Tutors based?
Varsity Tutors is an online platform with offices in several major cities throughout the U.S. The company has headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.
Does Varsity Tutors offer high school and university tutoring?
Varsity Tutors offers K-12 tutoring in all academic subjects. It also provides university-level tutoring in many subjects, including languages, math, science, business, tech, engineering and humanities.

Is Varsity Tutors a legit company?

With its many satisfaction guarantees, it’s clear Varsity Tutors prioritizes its customers’ educational improvement. Its educators are experienced and knowledgeable in their fields, and students can choose from hundreds of subjects in flexible formats. Though Varsity doesn’t provide free large-group classes for college and adult students, it offers numerous free and dependable learning resources for K-12 and other learners.

Varsity Tutors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: March 10, 2021

Through Varsity Tutors Star Courses my child has been able to learn with experts in their field and have access to people you would not typically been able to access. Think NASA astronauts, TV, theatre and Social Media personalities and more. These have inspiring for her. Based on the classes she now knows how to teach out dog tricks, is fascinated with the human brain and STEM topics of all sorts and though she is already a working actor she has even found tips she didn’t know before. The best thing is it is clear these experts want to be teaching large groups of children because the exude positive energy and excitement as they teach. Learners can ask questions through the chat feature and the answers are read. It’s amazing access to expert teachers and these specific courses are free.

My child has also had the pledge of enjoying some of the week long camps or large group courses. Also all free. In these she has even been taken off mute and had the chance to personally engage with the learning. She has learned and now loves yoga, origami and found a passion for art. These larger classes are also free but at the same time priceless. We have yet to take any of the smaller courses or one on one classes, but are very aware of small group learning or one on one tutoring is needed Varsity Tutors is an option.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is meeting your needs!

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Fabulous program. Our 1st grader started here after trying public school online. Varsity Tutors is so much better! Small group classes are very small, teachers are friendly and there is a different instructor for each subject. They use zoom but there never seems to be a technical issue that comes up. Our public school had technical issues regularly, too many children in a class and not enough engagement. Varsity Tutors is very engaging. Our son is constantly answering or asking questions and showing active participation. The small class size helps this. They also offer many enrichment courses to choose from and they are included in a remarkably reasonable tuition rate.

I was worried my son wouldn’t be excited about school after online courses because of the pandemic but the opposite has happened. He has had an opportunity to socialize and learn about subjects that interest him as well as core curriculum like math, English and Science. He is also learning so much more than I expected from an online school. I check up with him regularly on math and reading and he has shown major improvement since starting the program so I am so happy. There have been extracurricular courses he wasn’t sure he would like and then the first thing he says after class is “Mama! That was the best class ever!” We are so very thankful to have found Varsity Tutors and given it a try. I couldn’t be more pleased with the results and I really do highly recommend the school replacement program.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Nov. 2, 2020

My husband and I ordered a 9-hour tutoring package to help our son preview for high school entrance interviews. I was doubtful that someone could help with this virtually. I am happy to say that I could not have been more wrong. Trevor ** was an outstanding tutor who really helped our son. Interview prep is something I thought could only be done through question and answer practice sessions. Trevor had so much more in mind. Knowing that it was a 9 hour package, he laid out a plan to write responses to common questions, prepare detailed bullet points for possible topics to bring up, find reading materials that supported his approach, and have time for plenty of actual interview practice.

His highly organized approach maximized the work done each week in their actual session. He assigned homework between sessions so that my son could work further on his own. After just 9 hours with Trevor, my son has great prepared responses as well as a strong set of possible topics to reference. Beyond that, he is also more confident and comfortable in the interview format. Trevor made the sessions relaxing and fun while getting so much work done. I would highly recommend Trevor **.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

Thierry **'s skill supersedes helpfulness: Every moment is turned into a learning experience. Every mistake is corrected in a constructive manner. Every insight is backed by decades of experience. I came into this tutoring agreement not knowing what this certification was going to entail. I had general subject matter knowledge, I had experience in many of the principles that the PMP incorporates, but the number one issue I faced was that my cup was simply too full to absorb the content of the PMBOK in all its precise nature.

Thierry was able to work with the knowledge I brought to the table and to create a baseline where I could begin building my knowledge into usable contextual practices. He was always patient when I would be resistant to learning a new concept, and beyond the content of the exam itself, he is a wealth of excellent test-taking strategy. If anyone was contemplating a service for tutoring, and if you're struggling on which tutor to pick if you've already arrived here at Varsity Tutors, Thierry is something who I just can't suggest avidly enough. Thanks for everything!

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: July 29, 2020

I would definitely use Varsity Tutors again and would recommend them to a friend. Although I felt confident with the math, I was struggling with the concepts in an online summer Physics course. I completed an online request form and was called first thing the next morning by a representative who asked me what kinds of problems I was having so he could determine a tutor who would be a good fit. They offered to set up a session within 24 hours and had "emergency" tutors available if I needed one right away. I was placed with Mo ** and we clicked immediately. She really did understand the stress and frustration I was having and was able to give me usable strategies right away. The technical format of Varsity Tutors was very user-friendly as well. It was easy to upload images from books (I was a little worried that I had a physical book and not an e-book, but it wasn't a problem at all).

I can see my tutor's face and we can both write on a shared whiteboard. It was such a better experience than trying to use my college's online Zoom tutoring service, which was clumsy, slow, and I couldn't see anyone's face - very impersonal. Mo was knowledgeable, reassuring, and helped build my confidence in subject of Physics. It was a great experience and I wouldn't have made it through 2 months of this summer course without her!

Original review: April 8, 2021

I used Varsity Tutors to help me prep for some case study interviews and general interview practice and it was great! I felt I got great practice and honest feedback and was able to take that into my interviews! It was a smooth and easy process to find a tutor and they had great communication throughout. 10/10!

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: March 31, 2021

I was completing the last stage of my MBA degree and had hit a "brick wall " of sorts. As an RN, I had not been trained in some of the more complex financial concepts and formulas. I am so grateful that I discovered Varsity Tutors- as they were able to match me with the perfect Tutor to assist me in understanding all the concepts I needed to assimilate in order to complete both my projects and objective exams.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: March 19, 2021

Some of the classes are really good and kids enjoy them. However, some of the instructors do not show up on time or cancel sometimes waiting for a while. But, overall is very good for children especially in this COVID situation.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: March 17, 2021

I 'attended' (virtually of course) Varsity Tutors’ Star Course on the subject of the assassination of Julius Ceasar. It was presented by a renowned expert from the actual historical location where the event had happened. The expert, Darius **, gave a very interesting presentation, referring to the various nearby archaeological structures and pathways, and the q&a session held afterwards by the Varsity Tutors host was fascinating too. Here is a link to the entire presentation: **.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: March 16, 2021

I took a chance on a class at Varsitytutors.com from an advertisement in Facebook. Who would have thought? I signed up for the free presentation on the death of Julius Caesar. It was a 45 minute video presentation that was absolutely spectacular. The grade level was supposedly grade school to high school but I have two master's degrees and I have never learned so much in just 45 minutes as I did in this video presentation. The speaker was so enthusiastic he could hardly hold himself on a live presentation of a tour of the Roman Forum. I have now signed up for another free class. The only requirement they have is they merely suggest that you consider having one of their private conferences for tutorial purposes. They have proven to be so good I would be willing to pay for this quality of learning.

Ed **, CPA