Call toll free
4.56/5
Based on 90 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 40,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over three million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

140 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

When I signed up for this service over 2 years ago I was very clearly told unused hours could be refunded when we discontinued the service. I set up an auto payment and they have gotten a check from me like clockwork for 2+ years. We have had numerous scheduling issues, tutors outright no-showing and in some cases it’s been difficult to find a tutor for certain subjects. So, we haven’t used the prepaid hours every month and have over $5300 in unused hours accumulated.

We use the service for my two oldest daughters, the younger one has special needs (ASD), so it’s understandable we’ve had a hard time finding a tutor that fits her needs. We’ve tried again and again, around 10 or so tutors (some good, some bad) and she seems to be getting no benefit from the tutoring. No increase in grades, no retention of learned material, etc. Our oldest daughter graduated and is doing some tutoring herself. So, we no longer find the service useful and we want to move on.

We call to get a refund for our unused hours ($5300+) and are told of this 30 day policy and are not entitled to a refund. If we have auto pay set up every month and we can’t consistently schedule tutors every month, how can this policy possibly be an effective policy? It’s deceitful and completely audacious for this company to somehow believe they’re entitled to keep my money for a prepaid service that has not been provided. The website says 100% satisfaction guarantee. Don’t believe this. The sales people tell you unused hours can be refunded, don’t believe this.

Are we expected to call every 30 days and get a refund for unused hours because y’all can’t find a tutor to come out here? What a ridiculous policy. The sad part is we have 3 younger children and I think the service could be useful for children without special needs, but we won’t be doing business with this deceptive company. We will definitely be using someone else in the future for the rest of our children. As for this issue, my husband and I are irate and our next call will be to our lawyer to resolve this matter.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 8, 2018

We were told to buy the package. The basic package is 9 hours, $65/hr for grade 6+. $585 total. They encouraged us to buy the next level package of 15 hr as we will get some discount but not the 9 hr package. And if we can't use all hours we can get a refund for unused hours within 30 days. Once we asked for refund of our 3 unused hrs, we were told that they will only refund us about $82 instead of $195.00 ($65 x 3 hrs = $195) as we got that package as a special deal. That was NOT true! It is a regular package, not even 1 penny saving. In addition they said I should have bought hours as needed not to buy a package. That is also NOT true! They have never given us that option!

Varsity Tutors response

We are disappointed to learn you were not happy with our services. A member of our Client Experience Team will review your account and get in contact with you. Thank you for your feedback.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I've had great interactions with the tutor from Varsity Tutors. She did an excellent job. There's a slight difference in the way I learn using a tutor since everyone teaches differently. Still, I would encourage others to go with Varsity as they have excellent tutors and they all want to adapt to the student's learning.

Original review: May 25, 2018

We had a different tutoring option and the person I had was good but he moved so it was super last minute when I used Varsity Tutors and had Luciana. She was the best and I like her. She was patient, sweet and encouraging. She obviously knew what she was talking about and she did a lot of quizzing which helped. The learning experience was enjoyable and I look forward to it. It worked out really well. I will definitely recommend Varsity Tutors, especially in a pinch.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 24, 2018

I sought out Varsity Tutors because I saw positive reviews. I tried to set up an in person tutor for our business and the representative we had was solely focused on trying to convince us to use their online platform instead of what we actually wanted. We have tried the online learning platform before and it doesn't work well for what we wanted and we tried to explain this over and over and still the representative at Varsity Tutors was more interested in trying to sell us on this software instead of trying to accommodate what we needed. Maybe this gentleman doesn't accurately reflect what the company is trying to do but he surely left a terrible taste in our mouth and he is certainly not the type of person I would ever have representing my company.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Jesse. We will have a member of our customer experience team review your account and be in contact with you within the next 24 hours. We look forward to speaking with you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Resolution response: May 24, 2018

I was contacted by a customer experience representative, they offered a viable solution and I accepted it. We're still in the process of getting the unused hours refunded but so far they have committed to do so. I hope they follow through with this.

When they do, I'll give you guys a 5 star review, no questions asked.

Original review: May 23, 2018

I hired Varsity Tutors to find 2 tutors for my son, Physics and Math. When I paid for the service, over the phone I was told that any unused hours would be refunded. I specifically asked any conditions applied, and the agent said "NO". They did find a Physics tutor, but were not able to find a good math tutor, tried several times and simply failed to find a good fit for the material my son needed help with. Now that I want my unused hours refunded, they say they can't because there is a 30 day window after you make the payment to request a refund.

They made me sign a pretty long online document which states the 30 day clause, which they fail to disclose over the phone when they're eager to get your money. My issue here is that they lied to me over the phone, and that is not correct. They will not honor a verbal agreement, which by the way is recorded by them when you make your payment. I want the money refunded because they were not able to provide the service they promised. I would highly recommend using a different company.

Varsity Tutors response

Horacio- Thank you for speaking with one of our managers yesterday. Based on the conversation, we will be providing a refund of your unused hours. While we are happy your son was able to get the IB physics help he needed, he did not receive assistance in IB math, and for that we apologize. We are disappointed that you did not have a totally positive experience with our company. If there is anything additional that would ultimately provide a more positive resolution to this situation, please contact Virginia with our client service management team at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com. She will be happy to speak with you.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I was very impressed with Saudrick, the ECE tutor Varsity found for my son, Will. He passed the class with a B without Saudrick's help. And he got A's from the time he started working with Saudrick and it was because Saudrick could explain the concept to him. If he didn't get it, he could explain it in a different way until Will understood it. And Saudrick's qualifications were amazing, having both the Bachelor's and the Master's in the ECE. He knows the material as well as the professor knows it, but he also is skilled at teaching it to somebody else and can explain it in different ways until he knows the person understands it. He also went out of his way to make himself available every night leading up to the finals.

I've been impressed with Varsity. I've read their Yelps and some people are like, "I didn't find anybody for me," but my experience was the opposite. It was like Varsity found someone immediately. The first person they found for ECE probably wasn't totally appropriate. She was not a craftsman and she kinda flaked on us setting up appointments, cancelling, and then saying her computer was broken. I gave her two attempts and then I called Varsity and told them it wasn't working. And within 48 hours, they had Saudrick for us. Also, every time I've given them feedback, they've responded so, I'm pleased.

And then, we were trying to set Will up for Chemistry and Varsity found some excellent people for him but time-wise, it wasn't working for him. And he was finding he could do the chemistry, so far. Still, there was a huge improvement in his learning experience since using a tutor through Varsity. And it spilled over, not just from the ECE but to everything. He had a bad first quarter at college. He ended up with MRSA, which is a bad infection and he was septic. And he didn't tell us. He should have withdrawn for the quarter, which he didn't and did very poorly. And I think it was devastating to him and having Saudrick help him master this ECE turned him around in all of his classes. He ended up with three A's and a B from being on academic probation.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Varsity Tutors is a fabulous organization. My daughter was taking some tests for entrance into boarding schools. I looked at Google, some reviews and Varsity Tutors seemed like pretty solid as an option. What I felt really unique about them is that, firstly, from an account management standpoint, when they were interfacing with the parents every time, we contacted them or they contacted us, they seemed informed on exactly what the objectives were and where we were in the process. So, it wasn't like a re-education on every call which could be frustrating.

They were also super flexible and accommodating as a company. For example, you sign up for a certain block of hours for tutoring. However, we needed a couple of more hours in addition to the initial block. They broke their normal business model of buying a block of five to just giving us one extra session because that's all we needed. The account managers had the autonomy to execute without going to be bureaucratic and difficult.

In addition, the tutors were talented and professional. They interacted with our daughter in a way that put her at ease, lowered the anxiety and made it as fun as it could be. We really appreciated the tenor of the engagement with the tutors. They were very effective, too. It was a two-hour block where the tutor is working with a 14-year old and they were able to keep her engaged with a smile of her face. Our case was that we decided to look at boarding schools late into my daughter's freshmen year of high school until she didn't have really the runway that most kids do to prepare. We tried to compress a lot in a month or five weeks time. It was amazing that Varsity Tutors was able to help us get there.

As a parent, you want to be able to help your child but you don't necessarily refresh on the thing that they're learning. So, they have the spot tutoring where you can simply open up Varsity Tutors any time of the day or night and an available tutor in that domain will then present themselves on your screen and you buy a block like an hour session.

They also have a fantastic interface and their software is great. You get a visual like face-time ask session with the tutors, so you see them and you're talking to them in one quadrant of the screen, and another quadrant, they're able to put up questions, and in another quadrant, there's a work space where the tutor can visually show the student how to solve the problem. It may not have been the same reaction for my daughter, but it felt like you get to play Jeopardy. It has a little bit of a game show. You do it and see their questions and then you have so much time to solve it. It's fun and it was as painless as it could be.

My daughter is a good student. She was taking board to get into one of the elite boarding schools in the country which is Lawrenceville. It's a number three rank, like one of the most selected boarding schools, 10% admission, and she got in. So, it was mission accomplished from the test perspective. We were really happy. I'm impressed with the company that I would love to be an advocate in any way that I can to help them.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 16, 2018

We were very disappointed in our outcome of the SAT tutoring. My daughter retook the SAT 2 times and did not increase her score at all! The 2 hour tutoring sessions were brutal! We won't be using the last 2 hours that we have left and there is no refund available. Very disappointed!

Varsity Tutors response

Kim- we are disappointed that you are unhappy with Varsity Tutors and your daughter's SAT tutoring. While we understand this does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously. We have reviewed your account, and a member of our customer experience team has reached out to you. Please respond to her at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com, and we will begin working with you to find an acceptable solution. We look forward to speaking with you, and thank you for your feedback.

Resolution response: June 9, 2018

I recently reviewed Varsity Tutors and expressed some dissatisfaction with them. After posting the review, I received a call from Virginia from the Company. She explored the reasons that I was unhappy with the experience and offered to provide some additional tutoring with a different tutor. I accepted and the new tutor had a different style. My daughter felt better about the experience after just one session with the new tutor. This tutor worked through the problems with her and explained the reasons for the process. The response from the customer department was phenomenal. Very satisfied customer!

Original review: May 15, 2018

First of all, I liked the tutor. However, I paid a lot of money for ACT tutoring. When my daughter was first assigned a tutor, I was told to wait for a call. A call never came. When I finally called ACT, they assigned a new tutor with no explanation for the prior tutor failing to contact me. The new tutor came. Although they tell you it is at your convenience, believe it with a grain of salt. The tutor promptly told us that weekends did not work for her because it was too far to drive and our home was closer to her work so it was easier for her to tutor during the week. She repeatedly told us she was going to give us the name of reference materials, but, even after repeated assurances, she failed to do so. She canceled repeatedly. Some cancellations were fine, i.e., sick, flat tire, etc. But after 3 cancellations, I began to question it. Then she was sick right before the ACT.

Meanwhile, I had been telling her we needed to do the tutoring more than once a week to get our sessions completed. She said she understood. The ACT arrived and my daughter still had one outstanding session remaining. Since her school was offering an ACT a couple of weeks later, I told the tutor we wanted the last session. That was scheduled with no acknowledgment that she failed to make the required number of sessions before the first ACT! (If I hadn't gone online to check to see if Varsity fulfilled their contractual obligations, I don't think she or Varsity Tutors would have mentioned it!) Then, my daughter got a rather mediocre score on the ACT. Seriously, it was a score she had gotten on her PSAT with no tutoring! Save your money!!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Varsity Tutors seemed very thorough, professional and experienced from all the materials that I read and looked over. And during the process in getting to a tutor that would serve my daughter's needs, they were incredibly professional, helpful, and supportive. I was so blown away with their service and everyone of them. And I ended up talking with three different professionals, the ones who answer their phones and screens and try to get the family or the individual to help with their need.

I signed my daughter up for the high school AP Taxes, which is a hard course. We went through a process with several tutors, and they were good but I was looking for a fit for my daughter. Varsity was patient with me and they probably would have went through more if I needed them to. But they found a really great match for my daughter. And my daughter had one session with this tutor. She liked the tutor but the online thing was not for her, and it may be because she's younger or because of the subject matter. My daughter said there has to be somebody right next to her, which I think she needed for her confidence level, too. And it's hard to convey that over the phone.

We were completely signed up but we didn't end up finishing our sessions. We have already paid but there is a guarantee in 30 days. I called Varsity and I explained what was happening. All I had to pay for was the time that that tutor spent, which was an hour and a half. And then, the rest of my money was refunded. I have planned on quitting because the important thing was for my daughter to get helped for this incredibly challenging class. And then, we ended up finding somebody locally that she could sit down with face to face. But the people at Varsity that I talked with were terrific, and I'm very satisfied. I have Varsity on my radar if we stumble with a different subject again in the future. I'd recommend to people, and I already did to a couple of people.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I googled APSAT tutor and Varsity Tutors came up, so I called them first. They've been great so far and I've been super happy with them. They emailed me and called a lot to see how satisfied I was. Elizabeth, the tutor, meets my child once a week for an hour and a half and she's been real helpful. My daughter's gonna take her APSAT the next week so we will stop after her AP exam. She really likes Elizabeth and never complains about Varsity Tutor. Her grades are good, too.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Do yourself and your child a favor: DON'T hire Varsity Tutors! Unlike many other tutoring/test prep businesses, the tutors at Varsity are contractors. That means there is little accountability. Aside from the few hours of self-paced software platform training, there is no other training the tutors are required to have (e.g., best practices for different types of tutoring; cohesive company approach/pedagogy; etc). What this means is there is no quality control - the company has no idea how well the tutor performs, what his/her strategies are, what topics the tutor is truly qualified to teach, etc.

I was looking to hire an SAT tutor for my daughter. I spoke with the Varsity salesperson and was given all kinds of promises. Because my daughter is a student at a boarding school where the average SAT is 1430, she needed to do exceptionally well to stand out from her peers, especially as most of the kids apply to the same colleges. I explained that she only needed help with Math, but it had to be someone who scored an 800 or very close to that, since her target is 1500. The salesperson assured me he would find the best tutor - one that would be an Ivy League graduate. He said it over and over. Guaranteed it every way he could.

I was obviously too trusting and took him at his word. After taking all my money up front ($900), he then assigned a tutor. Varsity chose an *undergrad* at a regular state school - who wasn't even a math major. This might be ok for many, but the issue I had is that the salesperson outright LIED to me. I had to call and talk to several people (they would not put me through to him), so they assigned another tutor. This time, we got a student who had finished one semester at an Ivy, but was "taking some time off". She wasn't even a sophomore!

Despite the tutor profiles on the Varsity website and the option to request each one directly, that is nothing but false advertising. One of the women at Varsity actually admitted to it. She said to just disregard it! We tried the second tutor because it was obvious we wouldn't get better. Although this person was a math expert, she had poor communication skills so was not very effective. Not only that, it was very difficult to get a hold of her, and then she just ignored my emails. I also found out that the tutor was not familiar with teaching the SAT. She had no idea how many math sections were on the test, how many problems, pacing, etc.

I had to call Varsity again to request a third tutor. They sent me another student from a state school, but at least this one had actually graduated from college. Since the weeks to prep for the test were dwindling, we had to go with this one. He was passable, but failed to adhere to my request that he assign my daughter practice material between the weekly sessions. I told him verbally and via email/text. He was also hard to get a hold of and would not respond to some of my communications.

This pattern persisted over several weeks, but it got worse. He failed to schedule sessions with my daughter even though we had explicitly agreed to a schedule prior to working with him. We stuck with him at that point because we knew we couldn't get better. Although this tutor had actually graduated from college, he was only a few years out so was not a seasoned tutor by any regard. Please note that Varsity was charging $75 per hour for these kids they were sending our way. Oh, they also assigned us a 4th tutor out of the blue. She called and couldn't understand that we already had someone. The straw that broke the camel's back is that the tutor STOOD MY DAUGHTER UP THE NIGHT BEFORE HER SAT. They were supposed to have a final review session. He ignored her calls and texts and mine as well.

If I wasn't so naive and hadn't already paid the $900, I would have fired Varsity before my daughter even started her sessions because of the unethical way they manage their business. Talk about bait and switch! I dearly regret that I didn't pay the extra $20 an hour to work with a company whose tutors are full-time employees who get benefits - meaning accountability. The tutors were also adults with graduate degrees. This was definitely a case of "You get what you pay for." I suffered from hiring Varsity and don't want you to as well. Trust me, it would be a disservice to your child.

Varsity Tutors response

Deborah, we appreciate your feedback. A member of our client experience team is reviewing your account and will be in contact with you. We apologize you were unhappy with our service.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Everybody in my community uses the same few people. And my daughter is a much higher performing student than the rest of the community. There are not a lot of kids on Ivy League here and there's just a handful of them. We wanted to do something a little different so, I was googling, I looked at reviews and thought about it and decided to do Varsity Tutors instead of a local one. The first tutor didn’t speak to my daughter but Varsity Tutors interviewed me and my daughter. And then, most of the interactions with the first tutor were by text and email. We only started about two years ago and my daughter met her about six times for SAT tutoring. She was young and it was a little early so we did it every two weeks.

She didn’t do great on her SAT and she decided she wanted to take the ACT. For the ACT, the tutor came about maybe six or seven times, either weekly or sometimes we had to skip a little. And communication was a combination of the app, email, phone, and text. She was taught how to crack the test. And her test scores were incredible. And even though she was moving along with the ACT, when she took the SAT again, she said everything she learned on the ACT tutoring was able to transfer. So, she did amazing on both tests.

I've already got two friends who are now using the same tutor from us. I've told other people that they have to use this service, it's the best because there's flexibility and if you don't like the vibe or you're not getting along well with one tutor, they'll give you another one. If you have extra hours left over, you could use it for subject tutoring or for essay writing, and that the cost actually worked out to be better than the local tutors. And you can put it on your credit card. When I first signed up, I used eBay also. I've recommended it multiple times and posted about it too.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We have Varsity Tutors for my grandson and it is much more convenient having the tutor come to the house. I didn't have to drive my grandson to the tutor then sit and wait for an hour. Plus, it gives me an opportunity to get to know the tutors better. While we didn't have a terrible experience with the first tutor they sent out, it was his first time out. He didn't know what to expect and he just wasn't committed to it. He came late and canceled once. Plus, from his voice at a lot of phone calls, he seemed bored during the session. My grandson likes him, but he didn't know how to teach. He kept saying he just needs to make sure what area he needs to pay more attention to. We complained to Varsity and they immediately sent out another tutor. Also, they gave us credit when we put in a claim for the session the first tutor canceled because it was raining.

The second tutor, Rebekah, is wonderful. She's very bright, creative and as my 11-year old grandson said that she knows how to explain things so a kid can understand. From the minute she walks in the door, she has a really good energy. We have a study here at the house and I hear her and my grandson. She's very up and positive. She is a natural teacher and makes it fun. Every lesson, she writes out what they're doing as they go, and at the end, shows us what they did and the things where he could work on. He just adores her and they have names for each other.

She really gets him and spends way more time than she is supposed to. She'll stay and visit and tell us how it'd go on or whatever she needs to do. As a matter of fact, we just bought 30 more sessions with her. She is teaching him how to learn and to read the questions first when he takes a test over a paragraph. She gives a lot of little tips, like using a straight edge to put under the lines where he's reading, because he has attention deficit and it's really easy for him to lose his place. She just gives him a lot of tips on how to organize his math, how to use extra paper and make it neat. To be able to know how to do it is one thing, but to teach an 11-year old is another. We've had an excellent experience with Varsity Tutors and since we had gotten Rebekah, it had been all-around positive.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My husband had a friend from work who had used Varsity Tutors for his son for either SAT or ACT. He came home and told me about it then I looked it up online. When I got some information, I talked to them and we decided to go with that. I like that I can tell them very specifically what we're looking for. I was looking for ACT Math and for Algebra 1 then I get a tutor that teaches my son every single thing. My son loves his tutor and they got along really well. His tutor was personable and very professional. My son did ACT Math and his learning experience was great. They started with the basics of everything my son needs to know on the ACT Math and once the tutor knew that he knew it, he moves on to the next thing.

I love that it was a one-on-one and I love the online platform where they can do the work on the screen and the tutor can see where he's making his mistake. Prior to Varsity Tutors the highest he had scored on the Math was a 28. He just took the test in April and he got a 31 so his Math score went up three points which is 100% correlated to Varsity Tutors. We had used Huntington before for the same exact ACT Prep. We tried everything, including working on his own and a local tutor, but Varsity Tutors was phenomenal and I will never recommend anything else. I would tell my friends that it is the way to go. Originally, it's gonna be expensive and it is $1,500 but it's not anymore less expensive than with what's out there. We are extremely happy with them.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I searched online and read some reviews and Varsity Tutors' were very positive. They assigned a tutor to me and then we had some email communication. He comes to my house when we scheduled the class. Although we're not on a set schedule now, he's very responsive and works with me. Plus, he gets along with my son. It's a great match and it's wonderful.

The process is not just the old-fashioned two plus two equals four. Usually it's modern day like video games. If my son is into Minecraft, the tutor relates that to what he's learning and the fun computer games that are actually teaching him stuff. The tutor also helps with my son's assignments. I'd tell friends to go for Varsity Tutors. I have had nothing but positive experiences.

Insufficient response received
Original review: April 25, 2018

This service was overpriced and oversold. I like how they put precedence on customer service but that is about all I liked. My tutor was nice and it seemed like she really cared but we did not understand each other. She did not help me very much. She mainly confused me. The website was not very good and pretty confusing in my opinion and the webcam would go out every few minutes. Before the session I was told to plan out my session and tell her exactly what I want to learn but during the session I didn't even get out what I wanted to learn. I could've learned more about the subject for a fifth of the price and in less time. I felt that this was a huge waste of my money and time.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Sarah. A member of our Customer Experience team is reviewing your account and will be in contact with you in the next 24-48 hours. You do have the Tutor Guarantee that allows you to get a new tutor if you are not happy with your current tutor, and at no additional cost to you. You can find information regarding the tutor guarantee in the Terms of Use you signed. We are happy to provide a new tutor to you to ensure you receive the support you need. We can also have a member of our IT team address the online issues you experienced in your session. We are here for you.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Varsity Tutors is definitely better than the tutors with the school system’s Honor Society. They check constantly to make sure things are okay, how everything was going with the tutor and if anything was not working. The tutor even said that he can't get it right but he’ll find someone who can. They really wanted the right thing for our kids and followed through a lot different than a program with a high school kid who's doing it for the community hours.

We had two tutors and we tried one through the online platform. He just graduated from Tulane and he was super nice, personable and was like having a boy band tutor. The platform that they used online was very similar to Skype and it was really easy, so that worked out well. My son graduated and was traveling after graduation. And the Summer course my son was taking ended, so when the school started, I wanted to try the in-person that comes to our home to see if that would make a difference and start the school year with the Math class that he had going into Geometry.

I wanted to see how having someone in our home works and if it was a difference. This tutor has been tutoring for about 20 years. She has six kids and she gets kids. I usually sit down at my computer and I hear them. My son gets her and he'll push her and she pushes back. It's really cute. She's not a mommy but not a scary teacher. She treats him like a high schooler, not a little kid.

It was a good experience and we actually just got our younger son, an 8th grader, put in a high school favorites class this year, and she also did that. No one really complains that it's tutor time. They would rather play the video games but my son goes, "Okay, fine. I'll be right down," which is nice. It's a good thing and it’s cool. I like Varsity Tutors’ professionalism and their fees are fairly comparable to others. Their follow-up is so cool. They are not pushing to make new sales. The teacher has been extremely flexible and the self-flexibility has been really appreciated as well. I would tell others to absolutely try Varsity Tutors because both in-house and online will help the students and they would get the subjects. Varsity Tutors understand and they can help the students learn the way they need to learn.

Original review: April 19, 2018

We did a lot of research online and we called different people about their different programs and what they offered. Varsity Tutors’ flexibility and the opportunity for my son to do tutoring remotely made us choose them. We don't live near a large metropolitan area so we needed to be able to do it remotely via the internet. My son primarily wanted them to help him round up some of his weaker points and I help him with testing approaches and techniques. Also, my son interacted with the tutor himself and was pretty much independent of me. The whole purpose we hired Varsity Tutors was to help my son improve his score and that happened.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The kids at school have tutoring and it wasn’t working. Varsity Tutors is a bit pricey but the breakdown of it, the time and how it was done was wonderful for my kids. My kids have ADD and my son has ADHD and they’re highly intelligent. But his biggest thing is organization. My daughter as well had a time on test they struggled with and my son needed ways to remember things.

My son’s grades always soared. It went up a lot of percentage points because his tutoring upfront worked. My son was at a D, it was 69 percent and after the second session, my son was able to reach a test and it went to 76 percent and up from there. That was pretty exceptional. My son always gets someone frustrated but the tutor was extremely patient. I would communicate through text message and Varsity Tutors were really responsive. We really like Jean, the tutor, a lot. My son really liked him. It was more one on one with my son but we have the recordings that they can review. It was really beneficial. For instance, my son would read some of the French items and the tutor would correct him and tell himh how it should be said. And they ended up going over the fundamentals again.

If you need help and you need someone online teaching that is gonna be patient, I would highly recommend Varsity Tutors. Anyone who struggles with ADHD and needs one-on-one teaching, I would highly recommend Varsity Tutors because of the knowledge. I love how you tell them the interest of the person that’s getting tutored and they match him with the tutor that fits. They deal with people that are all over the nation and the world and depending on where their location is, the timing can get messed up sometimes or there isn’t enough connection but they’re very thorough and they work with you at a convenient time.

Resolution response: April 26, 2018

I have been contacted by varsity tutors corporate representatives and I will be issued a refund.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I have used Varsity Tutors for many years for my son, first as he tried community college for a year and then again, as he successfully graduated from trade school this month. They always push big packages with lots of hours, calling with specials, etc. In order to make sure that I had enough to keep his tutoring current, I purchased a mid sized package in Oct. As his schooling was coming to an end, I realized that he would not need all the hours. I have 7.9 hours left. I called to get the money refunded to my credit card (as it had been several years ago when he decided to leave community college). I was surprised to find out that I could not get my money back. I am only allowed to use other Varsity services.

Well, I do not need any other services. My son has his resume completed and is in the process of being hired. I have no other family members to "gift" these hours to. No one needs to learn a language. This is a lot of money that my son and I need for my medical expenses, household expenses, and even clothing for my son's new career. If they had told me (as I told them that he would be graduating in 2018) that I could not get reimbursed, I would have ordered smaller packages. Not once was this issue brought up when on the phone with the salesman. That I may be in jeopardy of having too many hours that could not be refunded.

I am deeply disappointed that I am losing $400 that I truly need. I am hoping that someone further up the line contacts me and rectifies this situation. If not, be aware of this and do not buy the big packages if you think for one minute you may not be able to use the hours. I asked to be contacted and was told I would be contacted shortly. I was not. I am truly disappointed as I called again to leave another message for resolution to this.

Varsity Tutors response

Joan we apologize that you were disappointed with Varsity Tutors and our refund policy. We do take your concerns seriously. We are reviewing your account and a member of our customer experience team will be in contact with you. We look forward to speaking with you.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: April 11, 2018

I started out with a basic package to help me complete my computing assignments. After the first assignment it started being quite obvious the tutor was unprepared and struggled to understand the concepts. After a few sessions I decided I had to complain and was switched to another tutor. They apologized saying this one was better matched for my needs. I sent links of the assignment and what I preferred to work on so he could at least look over it and be prepared this time. The second one had even less of an understanding and we got absolutely nothing done.

At this point it's clear it was a total waste of money and I called and asked for a refund. However, they are unable to give me a refund even after the wasted hours and two useless tutors. I had to pay for an actual tutor just to help me understand what was going on. Now that I have no need for a tutor because the semester is over and I was unable to be helped, I'm stuck with hours that I don't want to use with this service.

Varsity Tutors response

Neil, thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you were disappointed with Varsity Tutors and our service. We take your concerns seriously and are reviewing your account. A member of our customer experience team will be in contact with you. We look forward to speaking with you and again apologize for your experience.

Insufficient response received
Original review: April 6, 2018

I had a terrible experience with Varsity Tutors. I emailed my tutor prior to my session and I couldn't even complete the session because my tutor was unprepared and unable to explain the concepts to me. My parents and I reached out to Varsity Tutors to complain and request a refund. We were told that sessions are recorded and that they would review the session and get back to us to address our complaint. I also forwarded my email detailing what I needed to cover in the session. No one has gotten back to me in over 3 months, no acknowledgment, no explanation, no refund. I will not be using this service again.

Varsity Tutors response

Matt, we apologize that you were disappointed with Varsity Tutors and our service. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously. We are reviewing your account and a member of our customer experience team will be in contact with you. We look forward to speaking with you and again apologize for your experience.

Original review: April 3, 2018

Taking some conversation lessons in French was the first step I took when planning a trip to France. I contacted Varsity when I found them online. The person who helped me over the phone was friendly and helpful, I bought 30 sessions to make sure I had enough practice to feel comfortable speaking the language while in France. I explained that I had taken French in high school and college, so all I wanted was to practice. The first two tutors had no idea what to do or where to begin, it was ridiculous. The first tutor kept pointing at objects in my house asking me if I knew the French word for them. The second one had me check YouTube videos on learning English and translating the sentences into French. I took immediate action in both instances and requested a refund since the tutors were not prepared to do the job.

Samantha offered to find me a solution in a week's time after the second fiasco, she came through for me big time. She recommended a French student living in New York. He understood perfectly well what I wanted to accomplish, helped me have confidence when speaking and taught me a lot. I can honestly say I couldn't have been happier with the result. I came back from France a week ago, I was able to communicate with everyone without feeling insecure about my grammar or pronunciation... I met with business partners and visited all the tourist attractions. I am very happy with the outcome, it was money well spent.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Mirsa. We do all we can to make sure the tutor is the right fit for the student and their needs. We are happy to learn that although the first tutor was not a good match for you, the second one was in line with your needs. It sounds like your trip to France was a wonderful success, and we are happy your tutor gave you the confidence you wanted for communicating with the French. Please reach out if we can assist you in the future.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: March 27, 2018

We signed up for ACT/SAT tutoring for our daughter. She is an A student (top 10% in her high school class of over 500 students), and she wanted to score slightly higher on both tests to achieve more scholarship opportunities. She is a highly motivated young lady with strong study habits. We agreed to a ~$1600 contract with Varsity Tutors. Our goal: two points higher on the ACT and sixty points higher on the SAT. Both of these increases were achievable, according to the VT sales representative.

For the next several weeks, our daughter met with her tutor, performing practice tests, and reviewing incorrect answers. She also worked and studied on her own, based on input from her tutor. While the interaction with the tutor was ‘ok’, we paid for the results. Again, these objectives were achievable according to Varsity Tutors. Bottom line: our daughter scored exactly the same on both exams. No improvement. We were looking for a reasonable improvement, and what we got was a lot of stress and a big disappointment for our daughter, who put forth an enormous amount of time. Personally, I believe all of these types of companies overstate their ability in terms of college entrance exams. We won’t use this type of service for our younger child, and I would caution people to lower their expectations.

Varsity Tutors response

Greg, we apologize that you were disappointed with Varsity Tutors and your daughter's test results after using our service. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously. We are reviewing your account and a member of our customer experience team will be in contact with you. We look forward to speaking with you and again apologize for your experience.

Original review: March 9, 2018

The fact that Varsity Tutors had virtual tutoring with the face cameras was really what sold me, and they’re at the top of the search engine, which also stood out. Their rep explained things clearly. He understood the situation and said that the services could help. I requested more information about the program, which he emailed me right away. The information was really easy to follow and understand. I was skeptical about using the virtual tutoring service, but decided to give it a try. Trying to find a tutor in my area was really not easy to do.

My daughter was able to improve her grades and catch up on her assignments. She gained a better understanding of concepts because she had that one-on-one experience. They’re efficient, and their hours are flexible. The tutor I had worked around my daughter’s schedule. For example, we needed more time, so we just added more time. We wanted to also increase how much tutoring she got a week and they accommodated all that. I would highly recommend Varsity Tutors for anyone who’s having trouble. I can only speak about Math though, because that’s what we took, and I’ve seen that it helped my daughter a lot. But I know they do other subjects.

Varsity Tutors response

At Varsity Tutors, our live learning platform allows us to seamlessly connect experts and learners in any subject, anywhere, anytime. We are thrilled for your daughter that she was able to improve her math skills by working with one of our tutors! Here's to her continued success!

Factual basis uncertain
Resolution response: March 13, 2018

The main manager called me to resolve the issue. 1,140$ were finally refunded

Original review: March 9, 2018

My experience with Varsity Tutors was TERRIBLE! I was looking for a tutor for my son. During 3-4 months I changed 5 tutors. All 5 tutors were just random people from the street that had no idea how to do tutoring. The last tutor just send me a text message saying that he cannot come anymore just 30 minutes before the scheduled class. I called the agency and asked my money back. Joel (the manager) asked me to give them another try. I tried 3 more times. All the times I was calling them they were asking for the last try.

Finally when I called them again and asked for money back as they advertise on the website, the response was that they cannot return the money because I am out of the 30 days window period. BIG LIARS!!! Would never use them again. From the package that I bought for 1,600$ I only used around 400$. They are saying no refund is possible for the rest of the money (that is more than $1000). If you do not want to put more than 1000$ in the garbage do not use them!!!

Original review: March 8, 2018

Varsity Tutors offered so many variations of times, whether it was online or in person. And whenever I talked to any of the other tutors before and I explained my daughter’s situation with her schedule and that she's a cheerleader, they were very judgmental. But Varsity Tutors was not. I also liked their friendliness and the welcome-ness that they showed us. It was like coming home and talking to someone you've known forever. So even though I researched some different tutoring options, I chose to go with them.

It was easy for me to let my daughter, Katie, deal and schedule with her tutors. I have listened in a couple of times and her tutors were very encouraging. They made her think about things. She's also always so relieved and happy when she gets off the phone with them. Math is her best subject and it's the subject that we needed the tutoring in. The bad part was she had a very difficult cantankerous teacher and it appeared to be that her goal was to make the student fail. So, Katie, would go online and meet with her tutor, then she’d understand everything and have every concept. Her learning skills improved greatly because she knew she was understanding her lessons and her confidence level was good. But the next time she had class, it was like there was nothing she could do that was right even though she knew her lessons.

We had an incident where Katie dropped the class not because of varsity, but because of the teacher. She made it so incredibly difficult for her and the stress level was beyond reality. So, Katie decided to take the class next year. But she didn’t realize and her counselor didn’t advise her that when she did this, Katie became ineligible and in order for her cheer team to be eligible for any of the awards that they'd win or to go to Nationals, Katie had to learn the rest of the semester plus review a whole semester's worth of work in seven days. When I called Varsity Tutors about the whole situation, they said they were on it and they worked with Katie. However much she needed, they were there. And the night before her final exam that she had to take, the second tutor that we had that was out at Colorado Springs told Katie that they'd get on it at 6:30 and she'd stay on with her until she was comfortable and could go take that test.

I've told many of my friends about Varsity Tutors. I told them that if they want the most amazing tutoring experience, they should go with Varsity Tutors. They work with the kids in terms of schedules because most kids have very busy schedules. They also make sure that the kids understand the lessons and if their child is not clicking with one tutor, then they'd find somebody else. The upfront price was a sticker shock, but when you break it down, it's either the same price as or cheaper than meeting with another tutor in person. I've also told my friends about that, too, to prepare them. When you're going to spend $1,000 you need a little preparation. A lot of people have taken Varsity's number from me and either their child went right through it or they did something different, but I know they haven't gone with another tutoring system.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, Michele. We are beyond thrilled for your daughter and her success in math! It's satisfying to hear how helpful and accommodating our tutors were for her. Thank you also for referring us to others. It's the best compliment anyone can give!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I'm a very, very happy Varsity Tutors customer. I have two high school students who use Varsity Tutors. I was reluctant at first because I didn't think the online system would work well. But I'm happy to say that I was wrong. It has been a huge success. The tutors are patient, kind and they get along with my kids. I've also seen an improvement in my kids' grades. Initially, I was trying to find a tutor in Latin which was not the easiest thing in the world to find. I started looking on the computer and Varsity Tutors came up and the online system worked great.

The tutors at Varsity Tutors are all very, very highly qualified. You just have to explain to them the situation you're in and then they match you. We had great success with who they matched us with. They also offer a system for switching if you're not really comfortable with whoever you get matched with and it wouldn't be a criticism of anybody, but we never had a need to use it. They're great about scheduling too. Their scheduling is easier than with an in-person tutor because you can choose the last minute. One week you might not even talk to the tutor and then the next week, you might want three sessions and that usually worked out great. I'd tell my friends not to let the facts online hold them back. They should investigate Varsity Tutors right away because they have people on every subject that are caring and are very capable of helping students raise their grades. It's been a big benefit to our household.

Varsity Tutors response

We are thrilled to hear that Varsity Tutors has been a big benefit to your household, Jennifer! Our mission is to help people learn; we are happy for your children's success and that they enjoyed tutoring on the live learning platform. Don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you for the feedback!

Varsity Tutors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

• Best for: Those looking for highly educated tutors, that can stay involved in academic achievements long after the GRE is finished.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs