Call toll free
4.58/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 40,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over three million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

244 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Using Varsity Tutors was one of the best investments we made for my children to have confidence and get their smiles back. With them performing so well on their tests is truly a testimonial that this is working. My 9th grade daughter was looking to find a Biology tutor. That was an immediate need, and so I didn't have a lot of time to find a referral or look at other sites. Varsity just popped up on a Facebook page. We set up everything in the system and my daughter was paired off to one person but that didn't work out. Then, she got Melody and that was terrific. My daughter just got her Biology final test yesterday and she got a 97 on the free response questions. It was the highest grade in all of the four Biology classes. The next highest grade was an 88. Nobody in her class got an A, and for her to get a 97, even the professor commended her.

She also used it for English. She had an annotation that she had to do on another project. Things didn't work well with the first person that responded but we weren't charged. She then got hooked up with the second person through Instant Tutoring, and she also was excellent. My daughter got some of the highest grades on her work. It was interesting because this tutor is an 8th grade teacher and she met the person who wrote the book that is being used in my daughter's English class. Our experience with her, as well as with Melody, made us consider the service for my son who is in elementary school.

My daughter was able to have the tutoring on a video conference. They record the sessions, so she could go back and have that information if she missed something. Then, in the middle, if there's a question or she needs something, she could also contact the tutor. Using Varsity has boosted my children’s confidence and it met us with our schedule and travelling because when you're having tutors come to your house or going to a location, it becomes very difficult. I would recommend Varsity Tutors.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Dec. 11, 2018

Varsity Tutors took immediate action to resolve this situation. I am satisfied with the resolution and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND them to anyone. I will definitely be using them myself again in the near future!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Updated on 12/15/2018: I can't say enough how much we loved Varsity Tutors. Today we got my son's SAT report and he went up 150 points! Margaret was an excellent tutor. Thank you thank you thank you!!! Money well spent! I would highly recommend them.

Original: I wanted to leave a good review because our tutor was great! My son really liked her. Unfortunately, when we signed the contract I was told that any unused hours would be refunded to me because we were very close to the SAT date. I would have been okay with using all the hours but with two holidays during the tutoring period, it wasn't possible. That wasn't even decided by me, the tutor scheduled the sessions and we just approved. We were even surprised when she said it was her last session 3 days before the test. When I requested a refund on our 6 remaining hours, I was told I could not but I could use the credit towards another service which we do not need. Very disappointed. I feel like I was tricked. Never again.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Sonia, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I'm very satisfied with Varsity Tutors. I had a different tutoring before but that wasn’t near as good as Varsity. With my prior one, I wasn’t getting what I actually needed because I only had one tutor so I wasn't getting enough out of it. With Varsity, I'm able to have interactions with the tutors to show me exactly where I'm going wrong at and it's more at a personal level. My instructors showed me how to go in and look at and work on a problem, whichever it was. At first I thought that I couldn't do it, but once they showed me how or some of the things that I needed to do, that made me think for myself. I had Jenna and she was very good.

I had Economics with Jenna, and it was about Statistics. Before I went to Varsity, I thought I could not do it and I was about to give up. But whenever I got with Jenna, she was like, "Uh-uh. We're not going there. You're gonna have more confidence than that." I'm not a good person with Math but once she showed me which way to go, I was gone. When I went to the first class with her, I made a B but after the second one, I was so used to it I made an A. I did very well with it. You're as good as you wanna be, and she just let me. That put a lot of confidence in me. The same thing happened with the Principle of Accounting class that I have now where I thought I was not gonna be able to do it. The more I looked at it, the worse it got for me. They said "It's not as bad as you think. You just gotta put your mind to it", and I got it. I've had some very good experiences with Varsity Tutors and I would recommend them highly.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My objective was for my son not to flunk this particular class and that he's gonna graduate high school. He can't get lower than a C either because it's gonna impact his scholarship. Varsity Tutors had an online component which is necessary for my son’s schedule and they were extremely highly-rated. My son has a lot of time commitments, so we needed to make sure we could have something available. The tutor that we're using at Varsity Tutors is fantastic. I've had interactions with him because we have to schedule, we communicate on certain issues, plus I hear him. I make my son take the tutoring session in front of me so I hear their entire interactions. His ability to teach is phenomenal. The level that he is taking my son to is just a lot more than we expected. It's also very cost effective. It doesn’t involve my son driving or somebody coming over here. They're interacting visually, so it's great.

My son obviously needs some guided time. And so, the best way that my son is learning is through interactive discussion, talking, saying things. So, being in a lecture-based scenario where my son doesn’t have an opportunity to talk, interact and practice isn’t necessarily getting the information into my son in the best way. And so, my son is going through the homework, but he just needs more. And his tutor is able to provide that and he doesn’t provide my son the answers. He just provide him ways to think about the problem and it's really outstanding. My son was absolutely flunking this class and he has an A now. It's a really amazing improvement,

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My daughter had the after-school program and they did other things. I thought the program was for her to help her with what she was lacking in school, but it actually wasn’t. It was just something extra for her, and she wasn’t getting the attention that she needed, so I went with Varsity Tutors. Everything is going great with them and the rep there has been doing a great job with my daughter. There has been a lot of improvement and a lot of feedback that she has given me, and I appreciate the time that she is spending with my daughter with certain subjects that she is having trouble with. My daughter is improving her grades in school and it is showing in her work. I would definitely recommend Varsity Tutors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I had a really good experience with Varsity Tutors. It was really positive and Varsity Tutors helped significantly. My child got help in Reading and Math. He became more confident and his grades went up. Varsity Tutors is pricey but I would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Two years ago, we started with Varsity for my oldest son and then my middle child used them for her SAT prep work and some other studies. And for about four weeks now, we're using them for my 8th grader, Celia, primarily covering Algebra. Compared to the previous tutoring that we had, Varsity is 100% better. It's one-on-one and my daughter is able to ask questions if she doesn’t understand something. She also feels comfortable that even if she doesn’t understand it after asking once, she can ask again as many times as she needs to, which I really appreciate. She doesn’t feel like she's being deemed stupid because she doesn’t understand something.

We really like John, our tutor, and my daughter is doing well with him. It's important that you're comfortable with the tutor that they select for you. You must be very descriptive about what you're looking for in a tutor that you feel would best match your child. We've had tutors that don’t match and sometimes aren't good communicators. So, if I feel that the tutor needed communication that was important then I would have to express that to Varsity Tutors. And I feel like if am dissatisfied with something and I call, it would be taken care of immediately. Originally, we were assigned a different tutor who never got back to me, and once I let Varsity know that, it took three days before I heard back from them. I had to reach out again to ask where things were because we felt an urgency to get my daughter started as soon as possible with the educational part of it so she wasn’t getting further behind. Still, we've had a really good experience with them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I had a few tutors with Varsity Tutors but Kate was very consistent. She offered a lot of help, so we stuck with her for so long. She was helping my child with his English and his writing, and he made honor roll. So, she really got deep with him. If he did something that wasn't right, or he said something that was wrong, she broke it down for him so that he could understand it in a different way. When he got to that specific subject, he could channel it the correct way. She was hands-on and he misses Kate. His reading has improved and even the way he speaks. If he said something that was wrong, he would correct himself and he has been doing that a lot. Varsity Tutors should keep doing what they’re doing. They are expensive but my child had a great learning experience.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I researched and spent some time online and I found Varsity. I got as much information as I could and I was satisfied with my initial research that Varsity would be helpful. Then, I spoke to them and one thing led to another. I worked on the FINRA Securities 79 exam Investment Banking with my tutor and we meticulously covered just about everything there was to learn, top to bottom - videos, study pages, explanations. They were all an hour and a half sessions so it was a combination of really going through every aspect of it, discussing it, and giving me assignments. It was a really on mark and very comprehensive approach.

My tutor and I really developed a phenomenal friendship. I said to him that he was as much a partner in my studying as just a tutor. He was very efficient, didn't waste my time, didn't waste his time, very businesslike, and very supportive and reinforcing. I took my exam twice. I did not pass the first time. I made a lot of progress studying with him. We kept going and he knew exactly the emotional support I needed and the academic. He knew his material inside and out and he was a great partner. I really enjoyed my experience with Varsity Tutors. When I was able to take a step back, I thought it was a lot of pressure for me because I have a family and I work. This wasn't the only thing on my plate, which it is for a lot of people. But getting beyond that, I realized I really had a great time learning the subject better.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I'm a student of Engineering and my Math is very important to my GPA. I searched on Google and Varsity Tutors was the first option on the list. I searched reviews, got an overall feel for what they might be offering and then I went from there. In class, the teacher teaches as fast as he can and if somebody asks a question, that’s fine. If not, then he's talking out loud as he does it. With my tutor James, he lets me say what I think needs to happen next, and if not, he corrects me quickly so I don’t form any bad habit. We worked through things together that way.

With the really hard ones sometimes, he would jump ahead of me a bit and then we'd do a play-by-play which doesn’t seem forced. James is spot-on and he helped me tremendously. Some of the stuff is easier than the others and I can actually grasp it, but without him on the other stuff, I don’t know what would have happened. So, I needed that help. To not have any experience was tough and he has made it possible. Varsity Tutors is worth it.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have a visually impaired son that gets assistance from the Foundation of Blind Children who employ Varsity Tutors. They put us in touch with a tutor out of Milwaukee, WI. Her name is the "Good Doctor JH". What a joke. She was so out of line it was not funny. Calling my visually impaired son's university professor and telling him lies to make herself look good while simultaneously placing my son in a precarious position with the university and his professor. Totally unprofessional and uses profanity while instruction. Rude and hung up on us and then called back. She called my son's vision impairment, "a ** entitlement!" and she was tired of it. AVOID Jill **. Varsity is good overall and has assured us they will find another qualified tutor.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Varsity Tutors has been wonderful. With them, I have a more convenient schedule and their price is less compared to my child's previous tutors. The guy we have at Varsity Tutors has also been great. We were able to choose the type of personality of our tutor and we wanted a guy who was sort of funny, which is what all boys want. Plus, my son would not respond well to a very strict woman. I am a woman and a teacher myself and I know how he would respond. And with the tutor that we got from Varsity Tutors, he said that it was cool and great that he's a man. So, our tutor has a lingo and that’s good.

And if we had to make some adjustments, Varsity Tutors made the adjustments. The office staff is very thorough about calling periodically to make sure that we’re scheduling things or not scheduling things or if there's a problem. So the communication is great. The management office has been very attentive as well to our needs as far as follow up calls because we'd study for a series of tests or over the summer then they'd call again, ask how we were doing, and if we wanna schedule more. I really appreciate that.

Also, Varsity Tutors really helped my son with some test strategies and the fact that everything is all on the computer, which is what kids want now, is a great thing. My son could even write his answers on the computer. I've also recommended Varsity Tutors several times. I tell others that I enjoy the fact that I can get a block and the larger block I get, the more discount I get. And that with Varsity, you have the ability to choose the type of tutor you want and what they're well-versed in. You get to choose if they're male or female and what their schedules are.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Somebody told me to use Varsity Tutors if we needed tutoring. I googled it, then I bought some hours for the tutorial at Varsity Tutors. My daughter had an awesome experience with Peter for the tutorial for the SAT test. I also bought a number of hours to tutor for her AP classes, which is for Calculus and English. Varsity Tutors is very active in sending information if I still need it so that one doesn’t remove from my mind that that's the only company I need. It was up to the expectation. With Peter, they wanted to match the need of my daughter and they are focused on the tutorial in the Math area.

My daughter and Peter click. Peter taught her the strategy on how to take the SAT. She took it last Saturday and, when she came out, I asked her if Peter's tutorial helped and she said yes. She was happy with that and I told her maybe she can still use Peter to tutor her with her AP Math so that her grade will go higher. I always recommend Varsity Tutors. I told families that if their children will take an entrance test, I used Varsity Tutors, and they have actually used them.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

We got Varsity Tutors and had our son tutored in Mandarin. They were really good and flexible, and they addressed our goals and worked with us to see that everything went well. His tutor was fantastic. She regularly worked with my son. Once or twice a week, they had an appointment and she helped him with his homework. She worked with him on the language itself, and she had the same workbook that they used in class so she was able to be consistent with what he was experiencing in his classroom. She was also very concerned that he understood everything and she made it fun for him. My son enjoyed it. Unfortunately, my son is in a new school and they don’t have Mandarin, so he's not continuing that. But given the opportunity, he'd like to continue it.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I would not recommend Varsity Tutors for any test related tutoring. Spent hundreds of dollars only for our daughters SAT score to go down. She did two hours of tutoring each day for six days leading up to the test. She felt more confident, but was devastated when her scores came back. Her tutor was very nice, and seemed to know what he was doing, but my daughter was his first one he has ever tutored through Varsity Tutors.

We didn’t know this till towards the end of her sessions. We spoke in depth with Varsity Tutors before we signed up, and they knew her goals. I really wish they would have paired her up with a tutor who had experience. Again... if I would have known I would have asked for a new tutor... which is the only guarantee they offer. I really feel like we wasted a lot of money. If you need tutoring just for homework, then VT would probably work. If you are looking for SAT or ACT tutoring then find a place that guarantees an increase in scores.

Resolution response: Nov. 28, 2018

UPDATED-- They have been very accommodating and pleasant. They have called several times to reach out. They offered multiple solutions that works with us ie extending the refund date. setting up other tutors, or a simple refund. I still requested a refund and its in the process. I will update this review if refund is not received. Or may need to do another post as I dont believe I can edit this post.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Paid $425 over phone to rep-- he called me saying my son was interested in tutoring which I knew he was interested. Agreed to pay over phone (I was at work and could not ask questions). He informed me that I could cancel within 30 days and DID NOT mention that one must have at least one tutor session prior to canceling. Thus they would not cancel. BUT my son DID try to have a session and the tutor canceled and also was unavailable for another session. BUT they still would not cancel it.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I was online looking for tutors and Varsity Tutors looked good. I called them and I was impressed with the people who answered the phone. You could tell they were educated, and I just got a good feel from them. I explained to them my situation, and then over the course of two weeks, they were trying to find a match ‘cause what we were looking was for my son with special needs. He has Asperger’s, as well as OCD and ADHD. He wanted to learn to code, but he didn’t know what kind of coding. Varsity Tutors stayed in close contact and let me know that they were working on it. And then, when they found a match, they sent me her profile for me to approve or not.

I approved of her and she was just amazing. She walked my son through several different languages of coding. He learned the basics. We stopped because he's learned enough to be working on it on his own. More than that, she learned how to deal with him on her own, she was so patient. And after about four sessions, he was great with her, didn’t need a therapist or anything. She was able to cater to, not only his needs but the way he learned. He's very intelligent, but he learned visually. Overall, Varsity Tutor's people are not only highly educated but very smart. They're highly selective on who they hire as well. I highly recommend them.

Resolution response: Dec. 7, 2018

Virginia worked with me to come to an acceptable resolution of our issue. She listened to my concerns and provided a variety of options for us to consider. I found her to be helpful and, more importantly, genuinely concerned about my daughter's academic success.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

We signed up with Varsity Tutors in early September 2018 to help my daughter prep for the ACT. They advised that they would do what they could to help for the September test date, but said the best results would come with the October date. They were great in communicating with us as we made our decision to use their service and great with the follow up almost to the point of following up too much. My daughter spent considerable time working with the tutor (who rescheduled on her at least twice). Outside of tutoring time, my daughter studied and practiced diligently. She took the test in October. ZERO change in her score. I immediately reached out to our account manager and have heard nothing but crickets. Very dissatisfied and cannot recommend Varsity Tutors. I feel ripped off.

Varsity Tutors response

Suzanne, We are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience with our company. Your review suggests that you did not receive our best efforts, and we take that seriously. A member of our Customer Experience team will review your account and be in contact with you. We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I was primarily interested in the instant tutoring i.e. you have a problem and can get help from whoever is online. I asked about 3 subject areas for the instant tutoring and they claimed they were all available for instant tutoring. I signed up, it turns out that not only were the subjects not available for instant tutoring, they did not have any tutors for those areas. They then claimed they would get someone for one of the subjects. After 10 days of various promises I gave up and requested a refund. This turned out to be a brutal affair. Each time I requested a refund they would come back with 'let me tell you about other options.' Although they have a 30 day refund policy, I am not holding my breath.

Varsity Tutors response

We apologize that your experience on Varsity Tutors’ platform was not consistent with your expectations. Because trying to satisfy your expectations is important to us, we recently spoke with you regarding your experience and we were able to reach a mutually acceptable, amicable resolution. While the situation is now resolved, you may need to allow time for your credit card company or bank to process the refund before seeing the credit to your account. If you continue to have concerns going forward regarding the timeliness of your refund, you may want to contact your credit card company/bank.

Hi Gary, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

We went with Varsity through recommendations and the tutor we had was wonderful. We love her very much. She was very caring and very patient and our child had advanced in his school studies.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I’m a single mom and I look at raising my son differently than a mother who has a father at home who teaches math. Varsity Tutors was referred by my nephew. He used multiple tutors and said that Varsity was neat. It also goes with my lifestyle and the needs, so I went for it. So far, my son has been going one-on-one with his ESL teacher who is teaching math, too.

Varsity Tutors is pricey and I wish they cost a little bit less. That would be helpful but I know that their service comes with a price. Despite that, I like that they’re very open. There’s no material that goes for every kid and with Varsity Tutors, the teacher is going by my son. Instead of me pushing my son for the classes earlier, now he waits for her. So even though I cannot easily afford their service, I’ll continue longer. Either you spend 30 or 60, but if it is being used well, you don’t mind spending it. That’s how I look at it and it seems right. Being a typical mom, I keep throwing ideas at my son's teacher and she is always open to me.

At first I only wanted to try out Varsity Tutors. But after working for a while with them, I liked them. Sometimes in summer, my son would all of a sudden want to play outside more. Fortunately, whenever his teacher could, she could work with him on those hours. And whenever there is a math or science test, because I’m paying a lot, I make sure that along with the whole subject, she’s helping him with the critical thinking. So I ask her if she could suggest anything, what we should do with Akhil or if she could Google about a kind of test, and she would come back with me with the links to try or books that'd be good for his age.

One time, I asked her if she could give him a good and creative homework. And she thought ahead and told me that Akhil came up with a small story and it has A to Z alphabets in it. I liked that. So my son was thinking and writing something. Then one day, she said something about this book that everybody said to write about. She told my son not to worry about it. She told him to just write to her about the author and the content. She makes sure he gets the interest in what she’s doing with him. And he likes her, so that is working well. If at all I cancel one of his classes, my son gets mad at me.

Other than that, I lost my job for a while and we changed the session for only one class per week. So there hasn't been much advancement or change with my son but I don’t blame his teacher for that. Still, I see that my son has more potential. There was change when he was doing twice a week but there is a bump in his thinking and his spoken English. Still, I always recommend Varsity Tutors and I tell others that the best part about going with them is, you get your money's value and they're flexible. Sometimes, if you don’t go to the class, you lose the money. But with the Varsity, you can cancel ahead of the time and adjust something. You can go back and see that moved. So I tell them that instead of you spending $30 and you don’t enjoy the fruit of it, you should rather spend 60 with Varsity.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Over the last 6 months I have dealt with at least 8 different tutors from Varsity. At first everything was great, my son (17) worked with a tutor he liked for about 1 1/2 months to review for the US History AP. Suddenly 10 days before the exam, the tutor had a "personal" issue and he could no longer work for Varsity. Fine, that does happen, and I felt lucky that Varsity would quickly draw on their thousands of tutors to find someone new. The next guy spoke English with such a thick accent, he was impossible to follow. Basically the test was over before they could locate a suitable replacement. Later in the summer I asked Varsity to locate a tutor to work with my son on his college essays and they introduced us to Anna. She was a good match for the task except that very quickly her availability (after about one week) diminished as she was starting another job.

So my son got a start on his essays and then we had to beg her to find time to finish. It wastes time and my money every time my child has to start over with a new tutor and they have to get up to speed on what the previous tutor has done. This experience matches to the one my daughter had with tutors from Varsity in some respects but she had some very poor tutors in addition to the chronic revolving door issue. I gave Varsity a long lead time of at least 7 weeks to locate a tutor for my daughter to prepare over the summer to take the SSAT. I interviewed the tutor Zach who we were assigned in late June and he did talk a good game about his approach and qualifications. The first session, Zach did testing and evaluating so there was very little interaction but I was assured that would be coming. He also left the session 20 minutes early because he said he would need the time to grade my daughter's test and make a plan.

After 3 more sessions which he finished 10 minutes early each time although we were charged the full amount and where I was in the vicinity but trying to give my daughter the space to concentrate, I suspected that not much teaching was happening. I decided to watch the video supplied by Varsity of the session. I think Zach was actually working another job at the same time. There was so little interaction. I was shocked to see that 20 minutes went by where not a single word was exchanged. There was virtually no instruction whatsoever. I immediately phoned Varsity and they were very sympathetic and agreed to find me a new tutor. A week went by and a new girl contacted me, we set a time to work and then right before the appointment, she let me know she would only be working for Varsity for 2 weeks and maybe I didn't want my daughter to have to start all over again, again.

So next another tutor, John, who turns out to be very qualified and works with my daughter for about 6 weeks. In September, again suddenly our sessions are declined and I learn that John too has left the company. I am very disappointed but they agree to locate another tutor. This time they find a tutor who is a phd in Physics. I contact him by message in the app to see if we can discuss his approach and qualifications at which point he replies curtly to look at his Varsity homepage and that he passed the test to tutor for the SSAT. That was it for me! I was looking for an experienced SSAT tutor and while it is not rocket science, I don't believe it is something any smart person can do.

At this point I had enough and asked for a refund of my remaining tutoring hours, over 9 hours. I was told over the phone that someone would be looking it to it. About a week later I got an email that said they were looking into it. 3 weeks went by with no contact so I phoned again and was told I would not be able to get a refund as the time had expired. I bought the hours with the assumption my daughter would be able to work with John. I did not realize their business plan is just to have you changing tutors every 6-7 sessions.

I was told that a manager would call me to discuss my situation and I did receive a call within 48 hours. I was told to call and leave a time when I could be reached during the week. I left her a message with a 3 hour window and got no call. I left another message with a new window and asking to be sent an email with the time she would be available to call me if she could not call me during that new 3 hour window. I am so disappointed and frustrated. Varsity must treat their tutors terribly or there wouldn't be such great turnover.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

There were a couple different tutoring companies in our area but Varsity Tutors was better for us because we could schedule it whenever my daughter needed it, which was helpful. As far as scheduling when no one had to come to our home, she didn't have to go anywhere so the convenience of being able to be at home was such a huge benefit. We also get a lot of teachers and college students working in the field that seem to know what they're talking about and have a good perspective on things.

Matthew was my daughter's Chemistry tutor and he was easy to understand. He explained everything thoroughly and made it a lot easier for her. I loved that if she missed a day, she would text me from school, "Can I get a session with Matthew tonight?" She went from getting C's to A's, and it eliminated all of the stress and anxiety she had with homework and testing. It definitely gave her a lot more confidence too. Varsity Tutors is worth every penny and I would highly recommend it.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

When I was looking for a tutor for my son's ACT, I researched and found a couple perfect tutors based on the description of their experience, availability and locations. It says to contact the tutor. The tutor does not contact you, the company does and they tell you the tutor you selected is not available and they assign the tutor.

Not realizing this was the same company I attempted to do business with before, I reached out to a tutor for my son's DAT exam and then went through the same circle as mentioned above. That is when I realized this is the same company and they advertise the perfect tutors to connect with you then when you call the tutor is not available and they will select the tutor for you. It is a shame they are doing this as time is valuable and they wasted my time.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi, Lisa. Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm your contact information under this name. We take client feedback seriously, and put great effort into resolving concerns. We’d like to speak with you to learn more about your experience and provide resolution. Please contact us at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I asked my friend if she knows any tutoring options because we are in a very small town and I cannot find any good tutors for myself. She told me she is on Varsity Tutors and she bought a lot of hours and that I get discounts. I said I would try it and it’s super helpful. It takes lots of responsibilities for a student, and they are very active after the session. I had a consultation with my mom we thought I was not going to take SAT subject test for the two subjects anymore because I’m not very good at them. But Richard did a very good job teaching. The tutors have experiences or they are really good at those subjects and really can help. In the future, if I still need some help, I will still go Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Varsity Tutors was the only one who could come up with a AP Civics tutor. We had one session with a tutor we didn’t like, but they gave us two additional options. We picked another one and it was perfect. It was a high school senior working with a PhD student, and she provided him with problems that she had difficulties with. He explained the concepts and helped her develop strategies to understand the problems. He taught her some concepts where there were gaps from her instructor at school. Varsity Tutors is very easy to work with. The customer service is good and they’ve got a very large stable of tutors, so if you don’t like the initial proposal, you can be persistent and ask for somebody else, and they can usually find somebody.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I looked up Varsity Tutors on the internet and they had good reviews, so I contacted them and everyone was very nice, accommodating, and very helpful. I had a very positive learning experience, and the learning was easy and very well facilitated by my tutor. He was great and he helped me understand the subject. He went through an extra mile and sent me information that he had put together. I already finished my course and while I don’t need any more tutoring at this point, I will definitely personally recommend the Varsity Tutors. I already recommended them to my daughter who may be contacting them in the near future.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Our experience with Varsity Tutors was very good. I found them online and when I talked to them, it was a good fit for what my daughter and I needed. We had a different tutoring option prior to Varsity and it was like night and day. Everybody at Varsity was working really hard with our last-minute schedule changes because it was my daughter's senior year. Her teacher did a great job and was patient with her when she did not understand. There was a bit of an interpersonal relationship because he helped my daughter through a struggle. Moreover, he was very understanding in the material and a lot of times, he was better than her teacher at some things.

She was struggling and was not learning the material at all but the Varsity teacher was super knowledgeable. He made her feel comfortable in the environment that we were in and it completely changed the way that she learned. She went to a new standpoint where she could see everything clearly and was starting to comprehend the material. My daughter adores him. He was instrumental for her passing the course.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My son used Varsity Tutors for nine months and his grade went from failing to a high B. The tutor was very friendly, courteous, knowledgeable and he knew how to reach him. He was a great tutor. I would definitely refer my friends to Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

This is an online service, why is there no indication of the currency you are paying at any time? For this price, I expected a more seamless process and to have access to experienced accountants. The staff is very friendly and proactive, it seems they do their best to help but I felt compelled to defend myself in my decision to close my account.

There was a miscommunication and my initial reason for opening the account was not met in time. I was under the impression there were CPAs available in my area to help--as was indicated on the website I subscribed to -- I didn't know there was not a single one available. I was not prepared to pay over 100 CAD for one session with an accounting graduate/student with no accounting experience (even when highly rated) when I can get that for free at my college. The US follows GAAP whereas I need assistance with IFRS and ASPE. I don't know if accounting students in the US are taught principles-based accounting or how in-depth they learn this method and was not willing to find out over time with my tutor while paying that much.

I received calls at inconvenient times with no prior notice and wasn't asked when the best time to contact me was. Also, I was a little weary during the initial transaction because I thought I was signing up for another tutoring service of another name then received a call from an unfamiliar local number. At first, I thought it was a scam. The application needs some improvement, I didn't know how to use it properly and was left pressing buttons to see what they do, after a while it's manageable. Some useful things could be added and some functions rearranged. I'm glad there is a guarantee in place as to customer satisfaction, I was offered solutions which was nice up until the very end, but none that I would opt for given my short time-frame and the time it was taking to get a meeting with the assigned tutor. Needs work but nice concept.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi, Mint. Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm your contact information under this name. We take client feedback seriously, and put great effort into resolving concerns. We’d like to speak with you to learn more about your experience and provide resolution. Please contact us at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com. We look forward to speaking with you, and we apologize for your experience.

Varsity Tutors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

• Best for: Those looking for highly educated tutors, that can stay involved in academic achievements long after the GRE is finished.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs