4.82/5
  • 1 star
Based on 34 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 33,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over two million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 9, 2017

74 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

When I was researching tutors, Varsity Tutors didn’t have any in my area, but as soon as I walked off the site they called within five minutes and found a tutor online for me. It was convenient that they just called and were professional. We started on time every day, sometimes it was a few minutes late because I know that they had other appointments before me. I answered all the questions I had and went through all the lectures. The regional person for my area always contacted me when I first signed up and then throughout the entire tutoring process just to make sure that everything was going well and my tutor was a good fit. I had Chemistry and we went over all of my PowerPoints. He also brought in stuff from other classes that he’s been seeing, like practice worksheets and problems, and he gave me a test to work on.

However, my teacher wasn’t very good at explaining concepts and going through reactions. He helped me step by step and then just made sure that I have the main idea of what was actually going on, and why we were doing what we were doing, so that really helped in that area. Also, for college students, sometimes they’re on a budget and the service is kind of expensive, but it is a one-on-one tutoring whenever you’re available.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Varsity Tutors lets you take courses at home, and they have an easy interface that was pretty nice. In addition, they were pretty high up on the Google Results. Everything with them was routine and having a work board for dashboard interaction was a plus. While the tutor that was assigned to me was a nice girl, she had no idea how to do some of the problems. But she was savvy with math so she was able to figure it out. I was preparing for a test to get a job and I passed, so it was a success overall.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

The Varsity tutor I had was very helpful. She taught me a lot more in-depth information and she helped me with anything and everything math-related. She didn’t hesitate when it came to getting knowledge and sharing that information with me. She helped me get better compared to where I was, when everything was mostly just self-taught.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I went to Penn State where there are places that I can go to that gives reviews for the course that I’m in, and it was okay. And then, I met with a private tutor that was just around the local area. Both options didn’t give me much help so I tried Varsity Tutors. I was worried about the whole online thing because I thought it wouldn’t be any good, but it was easy. I was doing Physics and I could draw all the equations on the board and have somebody talk about the problems. I could also upload my sample exams so we could see the same problems. The tutor was good at describing the problems. He described it in six different ways so eventually I got it. He was also easy to deal with since I had his cell phone number.

Varsity Tutors worked out really well for me. I always tell the people here, when I’m recommending Varsity, not to get turned off by the online thing. I’d tell them to jump on it and it’s like the tutor’s in the room with you which is not bad. I took Physics and Math and I personally vouch for that, and any of the other subjects would be just as good.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Andrew. We are happy to hear that your experience with Varsity Tutors helped you achieve your objectives and appreciate your recommendation. Getting individualized and customized assistance from experts through the platform is what sets Varsity Tutors apart. Glad we were able to help!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I have two kids that use Varsity Tutors. Last year, we had Lucas for my oldest son. He connected very well with him and my son really started improving towards the end. We had to cancel though because of finances. It’s an expensive service but my son absolutely loved it. He was a kid that’s been failing in Math since second grade and just when I had to cancel, he started to turn it around.

Somebody offered us a scholarship this year so he has a new tutor, Sarah, since Lucas couldn’t do it anymore. Though he liked her too, it was different with her because of his male bond with Lucas. But my son definitely still likes going, and there are times he wants to talk to Sarah about problems. Now that he's in high school, things are harder. Knowing that he needs more help, I have decided to focus the scholarship on him.

My daughter had missed a lot of school because she has been in the hospital. She became diabetic and was just completely lost. Varsity Tutors also found a tutor for her, Shiloh, and she was a special education teacher. She was able to work with her and brought her back to where she needed to be. Now she's doing fine and this year, she hasn't had any problems.

In all these, I appreciate Varsity Tutors. Their staff is very good and very easy to work with. The best thing about them is when I had to cancel, they didn’t give me any problems with it. I always tell people that. Overall, Varsity Tutors is a great investment depending on what your needs are. I would definitely encourage friends to do it. We were just so blessed to get the scholarship. If I ever had extra money, I would put somebody else on scholarship because my kids have grown so much, not just academically but personally, because each tutor from Varsity has been able to reach them in a different way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had a good experience with Varsity Tutors and I would recommend them. I set up the tutoring sessions with Ingrid via email and she responded right away. My daughter was studying for the SAT. She hadn’t taken it before but she did fine on it. She got a scholarship to SU so I’m pleased with how she did.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I had a great experience with Varsity Tutors. Everything from the initial contact with Varsity representative to online platform to tutor selection was seamless. I needed help preparing for a very specific exam for graduate school admission and Varsity was able to find me a perfect tutor within 2 days. The tutor had recently taken the same national exam that I was preparing for so she was really knowledgeable about it. My tutor went to school at Columbia University, so she was really good at communicating and explaining the subject too. Was able to do the lessons online using the Varsity website which was really nice because I'm graduate student and schedule is hectic. Overall really great experience. Most important of all I got the result that I wanted on my test!!!

Varsity Tutors response

Thanks for your positive comments regarding Varsity Tutors platform, and we are thrilled to hear about your success. Most important is the recognition that your hard work, in combination with the tutoring, allowed you to accelerate your academic achievement and obtain the results on your test. Congratulations!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My son goes to boarding school in St. Louis so I needed someone who could tutor him there and also when he was home in California. I liked the flexibility that Varsity Tutors had to offer. We were doing ACT prep and my son worked with them from August to May of last year and the experience was great. I enjoyed that there was a tutor right there near his school in St. Louis who was able to come out and really meet with him. My son had a very limited schedule and so the tutor was able to meet with him during his time, which was great. And then when my son came back home, there was someone who met him here as well, so it worked out great.

My son thought both tutors were very good, too. The tutor he had in St. Louis was stronger with Reading and Science and then the one out here more so with Math, and it was a great balance. Varsity Tutors is a great company and I would recommend them highly. They prepared my son well for the ACT so I was very happy with the service and it was well worth the investment.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I read the referrals online for Varsity Tutors, and I got them for my daughter. It made her grade go up and it was a great experience. I’d tell anybody that’s having problems with schooling that they should go with Varsity.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

The tutors were very respectful. They would instantly reply if I had any questions, and even if I message them again, they would still respond. They were super helpful. They even said, if I lose connection online, they would give me their cell phone number and I can message them on there, too. Varsity Tutors helped me improve my vocabulary because it isn't very high. As soon as I started working with them, I found out different words that I could use for my papers. The format of my writing was always scattered all over the place, so I was able to organize it a lot better.

It’s a great program. I like how at the end, we can rate our tutors and how anyone’s available any time of the day too, even late at night or super early in the morning. I play volleyball usually, so I don’t have much time. When I do, they’re able to work around my schedule and be available when I am, which is very nice. They read your paper and give you good responses right away, in a very good time frame.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

We’re really thrilled with Varsity Tutors. I looked online and the research that I was able to do led me to their company. I found that with them, we could use the hours in any way my son needs and there’s a lot of flexibility so there wasn’t a lot of risk going into trying their service. The other testimonials also convinced me to sign up with them.

We had two kinds of basic needs, one was for English where my son really needed to learn and be able to create new skill sets. He had some challenges with essay writing so I went into detail about being able to explain what we were looking for and they matched us with the perfect tutor for my son. He worked last year with Ken, his tutor, and this year, my son is getting the best English grades he’s ever gotten. So that worked well. We also needed Varsity Tutors to get the best out of my son in Calculus, a subject he loves. We wanted to improve his knowledge of calculus for college prep and he's had two great tutors that have been doing a great job over the last year and this year in that regard.

My son is a really smart kid, kind of STEM-focused so it’s all about motivation and even though these were two very different subjects and two very different tutors, both were able to meet him and get him motivated. Ken had a much tougher job because English was my son’s least favorite subject. But he did a fabulous job so when my son started to need some more help in AP calculus this semester, he asked me to call Varsity Tutors again. It was good all the way around and we haven’t had a bad experience at all in any regard so we kept us using them.

We also used another tutoring program but there’s teaching someone when you’re beside them and there’s teaching the student to not need you and be able to go on. That’s the difference in our experience with Varsity Tutors and they would be a value to others as well. And from a results perspective, my son got a 34 on his ACT which we are really pleased with. That is a good score in large part because of the investment we made with Varsity Tutors. He also got accepted to his number one college choice.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to learn that your son was able to both improve in his coursework and excel as a result of finding a tutor that was a good fit for him. We are also excited to learn that your son obtained a 34 on the ACT and was accepted to his number one college choice! Accelerating academic achievement is one of our core objectives and we love to hear success stories like this.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

My GRE tutor was very helpful. She was a very sweet person and easy to get along with. My interactions with her were incredibly positive and my learning experience was great. I only had about six days to study and I had to pump up my score by about 15 points, and I did it. It's expensive so if someone could afford it, I'd definitely recommend Varsity Tutors. It definitely helped in my situation because I'm 37 and with two kids so I didn't have time to really relearn geometry.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I'm a doctoral student at the University of Phoenix and I needed someone that could come to my home to tutor me for Statistics. I did a search and when I called Varsity Tutors, they had the options that suited me. Even when I had another one just to get me started on the part of my dissertation, the tutors that I had knew how to meet me where and what part I was and they never ever made me feel like I should’ve done this or I didn’t know that. They were very encouraging and very patient. I was also looking for a research assistant or someone that could do the research part with the articles for me. That service wasn’t offered but they had a young man who graduated from Stanford in English and had his doctorate so he was able to work with me for a short period of time helping to organize my thoughts better for my dissertation. He read it over because I was working on my proposal.

Varsity Tutors provided excellent service from the receptionist to the tutors. I had a great and wonderful experience with them. I even got an A on my Statistics class. But I suggest they expand or offer as an add-on in the future, a doctoral area for students who are looking for guidance. The area would have someone who is knowledgeable of APA style and you could give them the topic and they would be able to supply you with the articles that's related to your topic, because that helps a great deal with the literature review section of the dissertation. Other than that, I would tell a friend that Varsity Tutors is one of the best options that I’ve found because they offer what you need. Also, technology wise, they're very up-to-date and the tools that I used were user friendly.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

My daughter is in college and was taking summer courses. The availability of tutoring in the campus that summer was limited so I went online and tried to find a tutor for her who will be available for the two classes she was taking. Varsity Tutors was then readily available. My daughter did everything online and did live tutoring sessions with the tutor. But more than anything, she independently did her homework and sent it to him for correction and then they get together. The tutor was there to explain what she did wrong. However, there were some issues with Skype whenever they do video tutoring so they ended up sending stuff back and forth. But my daughter prefers live tutoring if she had to meet on a regular basis. Nevertheless, she ended up getting an A and B, which was good.

Resolution response: Nov. 29, 2017

After a couple of days of posting this review, someone from Varsity Tutors' office called to resolve the issue. The person who called me was definitely listening to what I had to say, and I felt like she was actually trying to help me resolve this issue. She was able to talk with her team and make a full refund for the hours that I did not use, which was exactly what I was asking for. I appreciate the staff that helped me to get this resolved, which was done in a timely fashion!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I am a college student who needed help with only one single subject: Set theory, which is advanced math class. The person who initially sold me the hours to me was very reassuring that they had flexible payment plans and refund policy. They were the only two reasons I decided to give online tutoring a shot. I paid my payments in two separate payments. After making the first payment, I met with a tutor who was not qualified to teach my subject (not to mention that she first contacted me via phone call around 10 pm). The tutor referred to her husband as main source of her knowledge, which was very unprofessional. Also, we spent nearly 20 minutes of 90-minute session simply talking about how technology sucks in online tutoring.

Although I was not pleased with the tutor, I did not leave a bad review because she was trying to help and not everyone is perfect. Then, I had to a get a new debit card and Varsity Tutors called me every day, asking for me to make the payment. I wasn't happy with their service, but I wanted to keep them as my safety net in case I couldn't' find any in-person tutor. So, I made the mistake of making my second half of my payment. Later, I found a great tutor that is qualified and way cheaper than Varsity Tutors. However, because it took me roughly 15 days more to found the right tutor for me, they won't make any refund for my unused 7.5 hours, which is about $400. Had I known that I could not get my money back, I wouldn't have made the second payment.

It is obvious that I simply didn't know, and they are holding their "unbreakable" policy (which had to be signed in order for me to meet my "expert tutor") against me to not make the refund. The person I spoke to regarding this issue told me that if I were only a day late, she could have worked with me, but since I'm more than a day late, she cannot. If you are willing to work for a student, you should afford more than a day. I feel like as customer I wasn't heard nor helped. I understand that policies exist, so I asked if I could only get half of it refunded, and the answer I got was "Sorry, there is NO way we can break the policy." But making a refund after a day late is also breaking the policy. Varsity Tutors is working with and for students. They need to know who their customers are. They can't take advantage of that and just shove policies into our faces.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I looked up an internet ad for New York Tutoring which surprisingly took me to the "Virtual Tutoring" website (not a New York-based company, I presume, but don't know). The nice sales rep who answered the phone informed me that the "Virtual Tutoring" service is the largest in the country and actually also offers in-person tutors in any city. We discussed the possibility of having a tutor come to my home vs our using a virtual tutor who might be located anywhere else in the country. He told me that I would pay the SAME RATE for a Virtual vs an In-Home tutor. I asked why that would be and was told that "travel costs" were absorbed by the company, but that New York rates were higher because all pricing was "MARKET-BASED".

This doesn't make sense to me -- if I'm not using someone who lives in New York, why should I pay more than someone in another area? So I asked about the variation in price for New York vs other markets for virtual tutoring, but the nice sales rep wouldn't answer me and told me I was being aggressive and that Virtual Tutoring would have to hang up. As they did. Not sure if I need a math teacher to understand why comparative pricing is not offered to the consumer. Is it possible the Sales Rep was just ignorant and got scared? Why would pricing for a Virtual Service be Market Based? I think I need an econ tutor now.

Updated on 12/06/2017: Regarding my low rating of Varsity Tutors: (here is a report on the problem I originally identified). Varsity Tutoring (VT) did have a very pleasant company representative call me back, and apologized for two of their agents hanging up on me. She offered me a company credit, which I have not, to my knowledge, received. She appeared to sympathize with my complaints, listed below, and promised to bring them up to management, she also provided me with information on what she believed was the maximum difference in prices per hour across the country, but did not provide any written materials to back that up.

After discussion with her, we seemed to agree that the company might be maintaining an annoying policy of making prices available only after you give your zip code on a false premise... And providing more information to potential customers and sales agents would make the company much more attractive to potential customers. The secrecy seems counter-productive.

Consumer Affairs contacted me to ask if my complaints had been resolved. They have not because, at least to my knowledge Varsity Tutors continues to: a) charge their customers a higher rate for an online service with identical costs, which is an unfair and distasteful practice, b) insult their customers by not making their pricing information transparent and easily available and understandable, c) put strain on their sales agents/telephone operators by not providing them with answers on comparison pricing which leads them to become rude when asked for comparative pricing information. Thus making for an extremely unpleasant customer experience. And that brings my review up to date.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I had been looking around at options and prices and even though Varsity Tutors seemed expensive, at least from their advertisement, their tutors were qualified. I needed something quickly for my daughter so I went with them. I gave them a credit card number to pay for one set of sessions and the tutor came to the house. At first, I wasn't sure because he wasn't exactly who I thought would work well for her, but he was great and very professional, and he ended up being a good fit. She responded well to him and his style of teaching, like using sticky notes to label everything in our house. This was very helpful and the learning experience was very positive. It increased her grade and made Spanish fun for what it was worth, so I was quite happy. After that was done, we were pretty much at the end of the semester, so I did not extend. Varsity Tutors was really wonderful for my daughter and I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I tried Kumon but it didn’t work out. It was terrible. Varsity is totally the opposite. It is really good and they are concerned to find the person who fits my daughter’s schedule. Mayesha is excellent and she updates me every time she comes and talks to me about what is being presented to my daughter on a specific day. My daughter’s learning a lot. When she started, she hasn’t recognized the alphabet and she is reading books now. I really appreciate Mayesha and because of her, I’m going to keep buying more hours through Varsity because I really like the quality of tutoring that she provides for my daughter. I’m really happy with her. Varsity's really professional and I’m telling people about them because I’m satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

My daughter took the ACT three times and followed various preparation approaches. Each time she went up one point. Before her fourth test, she prepped with Varsity Tutors. Varsity Tutors took the time to understand her strengths and shortcomings and helped her train and focus on the appropriate areas. I'm happy to say that she went up 2 points with the 4th test and reached her ACT goal. Thanks to hard work and Varsity Tutors assistance.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I was referred to Varsity Tutors by a girlfriend who saw results so she asked me to try them about a year ago, and I did. Varsity Tutors was a lot better than the other tutoring option that I used before and I’m very pleased with the difference. We’ve had two different tutors. We tried the online tutor, which was excellent but my son chose to have a tutor that was in front of him, like a physical person, and so currently, we have that and she’s great. She interacts with his teachers at school so she knows where he’s at and she knows what he needs to work on. She fills me in on his progress at the end of every tutoring session and she knows what works and what doesn’t work with him. She knows him as well as us.

My son loves to go to the tutor and he’s getting more confident in his learning. The other day, he did really well on his spelling test and the first words out of his mouth were, “I can’t wait to tell my tutor.” He’s happy and he’s interested in learning, so that makes me happy too. I would highly recommend friends to Varsity Tutors. I would tell them about my experience and that they should call and ask what Varsity Tutors has to offer and see if they can help them out as much as Varsity Tutors has helped me out. Varsity Tutors is amazing and they seemed to help my child. Everything seems to be working great the way it should be and I will continue to stay with Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I decided to take some philosophy lessons with my husband. We did it every week for a few months and LOVED our experience. When we first shared our goals with Varsity Tutors, they did an amazing job at pairing us with the perfect tutor (in our case, she felt more like a teacher!). She was always very well prepared and she did a great job keeping my husband and I engaged with the subjects we were discussing. She'd even check in on us during the week with additional resources that were relevant to the topics. It was enriching for my husband and I, and we couldn't have imagined a better online learning experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Great organization. Very responsive to get my son the perfect tutor for his objectives. Easy to use interface and communication tools. Varsity followed up to make sure all was going to plan. As a parent, I felt like they cared and were invested in my son's success.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I found my interactions with the Varsity Tutor staff to be professional, courteous, and incredibly helpful. When I first signed up for the service I was promptly contacted and advised of "next steps", and I always felt as though they valued me as a customer and wanted to ensure that they answered any and all questions I had. When my first tutor was not the best fit for me, my representative promptly contacted me to listen to my concerns and find me a new tutor, which she completed within one business day. I was thrilled by their level of customer service, expedience, and professionalism.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I looked at what was around where I lived and the price of Varsity Tutors was pretty good, and they had a really good review. I used them when I was struggling in Microbiology class but the first tutor didn’t work out very well. She had a broad knowledge of many science subjects but she wasn’t very knowledgeable in Microbiology. Also, she wasn’t very responsive to emails and she wouldn’t show up on our scheduled video chat sessions. Eventually, she just stopped responding to the emails.

Varsity Tutors helped and reassigned me to a different tutor, and that one worked great. This new tutor was reliable and she showed up when she said she was going to. She was very knowledgeable on the subject and she gave me lots of tips on how to remember things. It was all online and we video chatted and had phone calls, and this was a year ago. If friends ask me about Varsity Tutors, I would tell them to make sure they ask first specifically what they need so they get placed with the right tutor for them, and if it doesn’t work out, they should ask Varsity Tutors for a new one.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

My son needed help with a computer science class in college. People called NONSTOP from Varsity. They spoke to my son, they spoke to me. I detailed exactly what was required. They could not assure me that they actually had an individual both with the competence to tutor the specific course and the availability that would be needed. All they wanted was a nearly $1000 commitment before they would even begin the search. Believe me, if they had had the person I would have joyfully paid them. Then, they continued to call, over and over again in spite of several requests to please please stop.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I purchased a package of 15 hours with Varsity Tutors because there were a lot of good reviews when I search the web. However, I am not able to get a good tutor in subjects that my son needs help with, e.g. SAT Math, AP Biology and AP Calculus. They were unable to find a tutor; or the tutor is bad. A couple of major issues are: I repeatedly requested an AP Biology Tutor at specific times that works for us. The tutor kept scheduling sessions while my son is in school; and claims Saturday is not available. My requests for new tutor were ignored. The instant tutor session for AP Calculus to help solve a homework problem also failed. The tutor was not able to solve the problem. My son talked more than him. Sounds like my son was leading the tutor to work on the problem. And Varsity Tutors refused to refund with reason as my request was too late; but finding a tutor consumed most of the time.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Before we had Varsity Tutors, we did an online prep thing. It had test questions that my daughter just went in and practiced at. Varsity Tutors has one-on-one interaction and they're 100% better. Meghan was my daughter's tutor and she was well matched to my daughter's personality. She's super smart, professional, knowledgeable and was interested in my daughter's success. She really understood what my daughter needed. She also did FaceTime with my daughter to do the actual stuff. My daughter did it for three weeks and it was very successful. She went from a 30 to a 34 on the ACT. I would use Varsity Tutors again for a test type of situation but I don't know if I would use them for regular tutoring because they're expensive. I would tell my friends that Varsity Tutors was excellent, that they should to go with the online platform and to make sure to like the tutor that they get. The only thing I didn't love is that I still get a sales pitch to use them again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I was looking for someone to assist my daughter in writing a college essay a year ago and I found Varsity Tutors online. Price-wise, Varsity was comparable to local tutors and I thought I could probably get a better fit for my daughter. On my first interaction with them, we were matched with a tutor and it wasn't a good match. My initial reaction was that they didn't pay attention to what I was asking. But I spoke to a representative for our area and Varsity was very open and heard what I was saying. They matched my daughter Sarah with Lory from Colorado. The two hit it off and from then on, it was smooth sailing. Lory certainly helped Sarah move along and gave her some good approaches in her essays. She has gotten into Tufts University, the college of her choice and which is a selective school.

Varsity Tutors is definitely worth the time and the money. I found Varsity Tutors to be very receptive to what we were looking for and once they knew, the next match was perfect. I only wish my boys could have used the rest of the hours that we had left because from a price point, their time would have been a better situation for us. We used Varsity Tutors for a very short experience and it was excellent. We were very pleased.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

The tutor assigned to me talked me into dropping the class. This was during the 2nd session which he was a half an hour late for. He spent 40 minutes describing to me why he couldn't help me. They refused to give me a refund.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Reading many of these reviews I am in awe at how many horrible experiences people have had. I've been using since August (Now November) and never once had trouble! I got a Chinese teacher, ** Qi Li, and she is great! I love her. My biggest problem is it just costs so much! I feel guilty that I may not be able to get more hours unless they have a hell of a sale when my time runs out.

Varsity Tutors Company Information