Call toll free
4.56/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 40,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over three million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

320 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 17, 2019

I've used Varsity Tutors since my son was a snot nosed 4/5th grader and on. Most recently they helped him get through the final years of High School. Their tutors were very keen on the subjects he needed. But aside from just the school material, Varsity Tutors trained him in organization, effective note taking for easier study sessions and as a result of those factors, his confidence soared. Varsity Tutors isn't only gonna tutor your child. They cover a full student approach of educating, supporting, polishing and preparing for what's next. I love these guys and gals.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Laura ** was well organized with a variety of practice quizzes that had the exam format. The information that she provided was relevant to the questions on the exam. She always provided extra study resources for each topic as well. Laura was very helpful with how to analyze the question and how to find key words to answer the question. She was very quick to get answers to you. It was a very relaxed atmosphere.

Original review: April 15, 2019

My son has been taking tutoring from Dawn **. She is very organized and engages with the kid. My son is enjoys the weekly 2 hrs of lesson with her. He is taking SAT English tutoring from her but his school grades have also improved in English. Overall Dawn is an awesome teacher.

Original review: April 12, 2019

With Varsity Tutors, there is an availability of tutors in our area. We've had two tutors. The first one responded when necessary regarding appointments or scheduling changes. And then during the actual sessions, she was like any other instructor. We've been much happier with the second tutor that we've had. He is extremely responsive. Not only does he interact in terms of scheduling and minor changes to curriculum, but he also provides me with feedback regularly on how my son is progressing, which I think is vital. He's amazing. My son's grade was a 25%, and he's up to an 85% now.

Varsity Tutors is a little on the pricey side. My son's tuition is very expensive already. He's in the college prep school. Initially, I was feeling like we weren't seeing the results that we had expected. However, we have seen such a drastic improvement with the second tutor. And because of the level of interaction that we have and his flexibility, if my son has a test coming up, he does not think twice to rearrange his schedule so that he can fit my son in earlier to make sure that they have a session right before the test. And they cover what's going to happen on the test. He doesn't think twice to deviate from the curriculum a little to make sure that he's adjusting to my son's little co-curriculum. So, that's one thing that has been huge. And in that case, the price is probably worth it.

Varsity Tutors actually recommended that we switch tutors because I was ready to pull back and try some other different options. The person that is like my account manager took about 30 minutes to talk to me about my son, individually as a young man, his interests, what he likes to do, and what he reads. They weren't academic questions. Some of them were, but for the most part they were more just about who my son was as a person. And he personally paired him off with this other tutor. And that's phenomenal. Also, they gave us some hours back because we weren't super happy. And so, I can't say enough. They have done everything to make this an amazing experience.

The company has been responsive overall. My account manager has been amazing. He doesn't think twice to call me just to ask how's everything going when my son had a mid-term, which was sort of gonna be a clincher on where this grade was gonna go. He emailed me the day before, and asked me to wish him good luck because he knew that that next day my son's mid-term was coming. They're so interested in seeing his success. My son is excited about learning Latin again. Earlier in the semester, he was just disappointed and sort of really dreading going to class everyday and dreading the tutoring session. And he's excited about it again.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had a wonderful 2-month tutoring experience with Marcela. We were nicely matched because of her interest in art and my being an artist in my retirement years. I had a minimal level of Spanish at the beginning with a lot of hesitation to even try speaking Spanish. Marcela offered me so many resources and suggestions that helped me with grammar, vocabulary, listening and speaking. She truly is gifted at this work. I found myself spending hours preparing for our sessions, quite happily, I should add. We accomplished about 85% of our time together before I went to Peru and Colombia on a trip. I felt so much braver speaking Spanish thanks to our tutoring time. She focused on specific questions and interests related to my trip, as well as other topics I brought up. It was intense, often exhausting (especially at the beginning), and very worthwhile.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: April 10, 2019

Soloman was a great Tutor. This was an advanced analytics class that I was taking on-line and was finding it hard to keep up. I was very worried until I met Soloman and he was able to guide me through with his help. After a couple of weeks help from Soloman I was able to get a week ahead of the class and help other in the class. What a great experience and teacher.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I’m happy with Varsity Tutors' services. We have been using them for a couple of months now for our son and they’re great. We're very happy with the tutor too -- they seem on point and reliable. When I found the company online, they seem credible and experienced. I then decided to give it a try to see what it would be like, and it seems that it works. My son is with special needs, and before Varsity Tutors I only got a behavioral therapist with him. This is the first time that I used a regular tutor for him for math and reading. They seem very diligent and they always follow up. If they have new packages, and my package is up for renewal, they always call me. They seem to have good promotions going on. Overall, I’d recommend them.

Original review: April 4, 2019

When I search for a tutor for my son I didn’t expect to be able to find someone who was so compatible. Varsity tutors did an extraordinary job with finding a tutor to match not only my sons learning style but also personality. WOW!!!

Original review: April 3, 2019

We are so happy that we got help from the tutors at Varsity Tutors. Both of my children benefit from the services from Varsity Tutors and learned so much from the tutors that they interacted with. My daughter got into Vanderbilt which was introduced by her tutor and she loves it there. We are so grateful that my daughter go into a very good college. My son is a freshmen at high school level but we are confident that he will also get into a good college. He is working with Janine currently to prepare for SAT. She is wonderful to work with. She is patience and knowledgeable tutor. Which is what we have been looking for Wesley. They work well with each other. We highly recommend Janine. She is great!!!

Original review: April 3, 2019

My children needed help with the SHSAT and other parents told me about Varsity Tutors. The company replied quickly and the tutor came to our house. I have twins and they are very different kids and she tailored her response to each child, which I appreciated. It was overall a good experience. She was very reliable, she was good with the kids and we did very well as far as the test went. I would recommend Varsity Tutors.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Math tutor Tiffany - Ms. ** is a wonderful teacher that is able to draw my son Mason’s attention to the study of math and find ways to keep him engaged. She teaches 2nd grade at a local school and is familiar with other families in my area, and is also familiar with the current methods that the puplic schools use. It has been easy for my son to work with her and the time spent with tutoring has translated into better engagement at school. Mason has improved his math skills significantly in a relatively short amount of time and I would recommend Ms. ** to anyone I know that also has a child struggling with school mathematics concepts and/or attention to the school work.

Original review: March 29, 2019

Varsity Tutors was responsive when I contacted them and the tutor was very good. My daughter has gotten a lot out of it. There were multiple ways to communicate, both on the website and he texted me directly to coordinate tutoring sessions when he needs to. Then, an account manager from Varsity Tutors touches base with me at least monthly to make sure everything’s going well. The communication is very good. I’m very happy.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My son's tutor Chloe was exceptional. She helped raise his SAT score by 220 points! I could see his confidence rise with every tutoring session he completed. I would recommend Chloe and Varsity Tutors to any parent looking for help for their teenagers SAT scores.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I chose Varsity Tutors for my daughter, and it has been the best decision! They matched her with a wonderful tutor, Abigail. Abigail has been so helpful in both subjects. She is always ready and willing to help. She's always punctual. She is knowledgeable in all areas of her work and has helped improve my daughter's grades tremendously. Her anxiety has improved a great deal. With a rigorous courseload for the next couple years of high school, we are so happy to have found Varsity Tutors!

Original review: March 28, 2019

Evan’s tutor, Kevin, was very effective. He only worked with Evan for 1 month and helped him improve his math score 100 points. I could gather from the conversations that he was patient while holding him accountable. I am more than pleased with the service and I will definitely use it again with my younger son.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My son had tutoring for English with Varsity Tutors. We signed up 12 hours and have used 11 hours. They are very flexible according to timings and place. We very much liked that they provided a tutor who is near our area and can come wherever we wanted them. The instructor they sent for my son was very smart and intelligent. Plus, she guided my son very well. My son's SAT jumped from 1440 to 1570. In three SATs, he got 1440 and the first attempt, he got 1570. He is very much impressed with Varsity. And we are very much satisfied with them. We got whatever we were looking for.

Original review: March 26, 2019

My son, Sam, was tutored by Phil. He was able to build a rapport with Sam and helped him improve his AP Calculus grade. He communicated complex material in a way my son understood. We are very happy with the results.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Our tutor has helped our daughter be successful in Algebra! She was struggling at the beginning of the year, but now with the help of our tutor has maintained a B average. She explains the math concepts in a way that my daughter can understand! We are very pleased with her!!

Original review: March 25, 2019

Both of my tutors, JT and Mikhail, have displayed the highest level of knowledge, professionalism, and skill during our tutoring sessions. Their willingness to help and motivate me is truly remarkable and very encouraging. I have done very well in my chemistry course this semester as a result of the both of them and their hard work and dedication.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Tutoring provided by Varsity Tutors and specifically JT and Mike was excellent! Company was responsive to my requests and the tutors helped my son in college organic chemistry - a very complex subject. Highly recommend Varsity!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 23, 2019

Working with Varsity Tutors was the worst experience I've ever had. Their customer service reps are incompetent and I was matched 3 different times with tutors who had less experience than I did in the subject I needed help with. I requested a refund 14 days ago and it has still not shown up on my account. They tell you it's easy to get a refund but you will have to call them multiple times if you want your money back if you're not happy with the service. Seriously look anywhere else for tutoring.

Varsity Tutors response

4/16/19-Thank you for your feedback, Julia. We are always disappointed when a client’s experience with Varsity Tutors is not positive. Our Client Service Management Team has attempted to contact you via phone and email several times, as we remain interested in speaking with you to ensure you received your refund, and provide any additional resolution required. Please reach out at your convenience if we can do anything else to assist.

3/25/19-Hi Julia, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I purchased tutoring services for a refugee teenager who earned a division I college basketball scholarship but her first attempt at the ACT resulted in a score of 12. After almost a year of tutoring and three more test attempts she got her score up to the minimum to accept her full-ride scholarship. We used two tutors, Alex ** and Lu **. Both have experience with ENL learners. Alex did sessions online and Lu worked with her the last weeks in face-to-face tutoring sessions. I was extremely impressed with their communication with me about session times and scheduling, work habits and cultural communication issues with our teenager. I had a contact person at VT that was available regularly and touched base with me about our progress and frustrations. I am a social worker and educator myself and would recommend Varsity Tutors to others.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Working with Varsity Tutors was a very positive experience for me. They were professional from the start, and kept their promise. My first tutor was not a good fit, so they gave me the session free, and found me a perfect fit the same week. The tutor I worked with was patient and flexible, and helped me reach my goals.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Orlando ** asked for information beforehand so he could customize our session more specifically. He went right to the issues and concerns I had and made the session both very educational & insightful, as well as meaningful for what I needed to understand about QuickBooks Online and accounting in general. His follow up with additional materials aided in my doing additional tasks focused specifically on those things I needed to do. Overall, a very efficient session! Thanks Orlando!

Varsity Tutors response

Larry, we are glad to hear your sessions are going well with Orlando! Here's to many more successes!

Original review: March 16, 2019

My son has really enjoyed his sessions with Anwen and there has been a real improvement in this course work and attitude to learning English. He thinks Anwen is very good - patient, explains things well and very knowledgeable - thank you.

Varsity Tutors response

Karen, we are thrilled to hear that your son is enjoying his tutoring sessions with Anwen. Helping students is our mission at Varsity Tutors. We look forward to hearing more of your son's accomplishments in the future!

Original review: March 15, 2019

Varsity Tutors is a respectable, friendly, helpful, dedicated company. They are some of the most helpful, friendly people who are there for you. They paired me with a perfect tutor (Kimberly **) who helped me greatly. They work with you on convenient times for you and and are always there for support. I would have never made it without God and Varsity Tutors! I plan to use them this summer and know that I will be successful with their help!!

Varsity Tutors response

Dana, thank you for your feedback. We are happy to provide you continued support when it works with your schedule. Hearing you enjoyed your time with your tutor, Kimberly, is why we do what we do. We want to see students succeed! We look forward to working with you this summer!

Original review: March 15, 2019

My son was struggling with his SAT/ACT. Varsity Tutors made a world of difference. I didn't know know them from anywhere! I found them on the internet and it's been a wonderful experience. Our account office Steffen ** was exceptional. When my daughter in college was having difficulty with her computer aided design classes Steffen came to the rescue. It was like an SOS. He matched her with a tutor within 24 hours. So tutoring wasn't just my high schooler but also for my kid in college. Steffen has been a great resource for my college bound son! Steffen went out of his way to make sure everything was okay with the tutoring. He called me severally in Nigeria to follow up on my son and daughter's progress. My son finally got multiple admissions from almost failing her CAD classes. My daughter aced her CAD course. My experience with Steffen is exceptional. I would recommend Varsity Tutors to families that require for tutoring for their kids.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Kelly! Thank you for your feedback. We work everyday to help students succeed, and we want to make sure we are there every step of the way. We are glad to hear that Steffen was instrumental in your wonderful experience with us. We look forward to continuing our relationship with your family.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had an incredible experience with Varsity and with my tutor John. It is extremely easy to schedule tutoring in according to your schedule and you’ll see results quickly. The tutors are very knowledgeable and will undoubtedly help you achieve your goals. I would recommend varsity to anyone!

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Jessica, thank you for your feedback. Studying for the GMAT can be stressful, but with Varsity Tutors, scheduling is simple, and meeting with your tutor is just a click away. We are happy to hear you achieved your goal, congratulations!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Unfortunately, I met two inexperienced IB tutors, and they don't use organized materials/books to teach. They sometimes are late for the online sessions, and they may cut off your session time with extras without letting you know. When you try to contact some of the staffs, they always pretend not be there and don't answer your phone calls. That's why I am disappointed.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Zhenyuan, thank you for speaking with us about your experience. We are happy to hear your sessions are now going well! Please feel free to reach out if we can be of further assistance.

Hi Zhenyuan, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I have had an excellent experience with your Tutor Program. From the Director (Carl) to each Tutor, I was very impressed by their role in assisting my daughter with her work. My daughter is back on track in school with only a short period of time, and it is because of the patience and hard work your Tutors provided. They made it fun, and they didn't mind me asking question when they were tutoring my daughter. Job well done. Your Staff is topnotch and awesome in what they do. I will definitely spread the word to other kids whom might need assistance. Respectfully, Wardell **.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you, Wardell! We are very glad to hear your daughter is back on track with her studies and that she is enjoying the tutoring sessions. We appreciate the feedback regarding our staff as well. Thank you for being a great customer, and we look forward to continuing working with you and your family.

Varsity Tutors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

• Best for: Those looking for highly educated tutors, that can stay involved in academic achievements long after the GRE is finished.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs