4.6/5 (49 ratings)

About Varsity Tutors

Varsity Tutors is an online learning platform that connects students and professionals to tutors in various subjects. With Varsity Tutors, you get access to instant tutoring services for education levels from kindergarten through college as well as for exams like those for CPA certification. Visit the company’s website to find out if its services fit your needs.

Pros

• Instant tutoring available
  • Money-back guarantee
  • Free classes and resources

Cons

• Adult group classes require pay
  • In-person tutoring not in all cities

Bottom Line

Varsity Tutors offers comprehensive online tutoring services, including free and paid options, with guaranteed results. Though some features require payment, all learners can access an assessment test and a study plan.

Top Varsity Tutors Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

All summer long I worried about what to present my children with that could keep them informed, educated, entertained and provide hands-on activities. When I discovered Varsity Tu...

Verified

Our kids enjoy being able to take a variety of "elective" classes through the free live classes with Varsity Tutors. They find so many topics that they are interested in learning ...

What is Varsity Tutors?

Varsity Tutors is a flexible online learning solution for students of all ages in a wide range of subjects, including comprehensive K-12. It offers academic, test prep and certification tutoring as well as linguistic guidance in eight languages. Varsity’s instruction comes in a range of formats, and the school has tutors in hundreds of subjects. Students can sign up for a series, attend free large-group classes, self-study, attend homeschool online and more.

Subject experts lead the free online large-group courses, and tutors for live one-on-one private sessions are hand-picked. Some students might prefer Varsity’s smaller classes, which include more instructor interaction, collaboration and tailored lessons. Self-study is free and comes with a learning lab, adaptive assessments and personalized learning plans.

For parents searching for learning alternatives, Varsity Tutors’ School@Home program could be the answer. This is an online approach to live homeschool for K-12 students — the platform includes live instruction, scheduling, homework supervision and progress reports. It’s available in three formats:

• School@Home Supplement is for children in school who want supplemental learning materials or extra practice.
  • School@Home Classes provides access to School@Home live instruction without any additional resources.
  • School@Home Replacement acts as a full-time school program for students.

Varsity Tutors also offers a mobile app with live tutoring that allows students to learn on the go. Like the online version, the app features additional learning tools. It also offers instant tutoring, which connects you to a tutor within a few minutes for quick help.

How does Varsity Tutors work?

Students complete an adaptive assessment to identify their needs, strengths and weaknesses, then Varsity Tutors develops a learning plan based on the results, matching students with the best classes and experts for their needs. You can also browse by subject or collection (e.g., STEM Success, Afterschool Brain Builders and Creativity Club).

Varsity’s one-on-one tutoring services are fully customized and personalized. School@Home can supplement or replace in-person instruction, depending on the student's needs. School@Home families can also form learning pods to connect students for group activities and social time.

Varsity Tutors cost

Varsity Tutors offers an array of services at various prices. Its free offerings include large-group classes and self-study groups. Some of its advanced resources, such as the School@Home replacement program, cost between $400 and $1,300 per month, depending on your child’s age and needs. Prices for the School@Home supplemental program range from $500 to $600 per month.

If your K-12 child needs one-on-one tutoring, expect to pay $50 per hour. Varsity Tutors also offers tutoring for exam prep, such as CPA certification, which starts at $31 per hour. Smaller group classes start at $25 per hour.

Varsity Tutors FAQ

Does Varsity Tutors do SAT prep?

Varsity Tutors offers tutoring for SAT prep. It guarantees you’ll get a better score or you get your money back.

Where is Varsity Tutors based?

Varsity Tutors is an online platform with offices in several major cities throughout the U.S. The company has headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.

Does Varsity Tutors offer high school and university tutoring?

Varsity Tutors offers K-12 tutoring in all academic subjects. It also provides university-level tutoring in many subjects, including languages, math, science, business, tech, engineering and humanities.

Is Varsity Tutors a legit company?

With its many satisfaction guarantees, it’s clear Varsity Tutors prioritizes its customers’ educational improvement. Its educators are experienced and knowledgeable in their fields, and students can choose from hundreds of subjects in flexible formats. Though Varsity doesn’t provide free large-group classes for college and adult students, it offers numerous free and dependable learning resources for K-12 and other learners.

Varsity Tutors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I love Varsity Tutors. I talked to them frequently before deciding to use their services. I had a lot of questions and they were both patient and knowledgeable. Once I decided to join, they selected a tutor that would fit my daughter's needs best. I was able to communicate directly with the tutor to choose a schedule that worked for us. When our scheduling needs changed, she was able to accommodate and help us come up with a new schedule.

As for our tutor, I could not imagine a more impressive resume for this woman. I am grateful that she chooses to use her immense skills to tutor kids. My daughter loves working with her, as she makes the learning feel natural and not like "more work." My daughter is receiving tutoring in a subject that is not provided at her school, so her tutor-time *is* extra work, but you'd never know it. My daughter enjoys talking to our tutor who even helps incorporate other subjects into the tutoring. I am beyond impressed with Varsity Tutors and recommend them to others without any hesitation. I can't imagine a better tutoring service.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

We have just started using Varsity Tutor for our children. We have been very impressed. From the enrollment process to matching us with a tutor that fits our needs, we have been very well communicated with by both the company representatives and our personal tutor. They have made sure any questions were answered, our needs were met and the assigned tutor was a good fit for our family. We have received a lot of feedback and recourses to help aid our children as well. Our tutor has made an effort to get to know our children's interests and she has geared their reading toward subjects they are naturally interested in. I am excited to see the progress our kids are starting to make already.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: July 21, 2022

I just purchased 4 hr monthy 1:1 tutoring per month subscription yesterday and already extremely satisfied. Haven't attended a class or had a tutor session yet but blown away by their customer service and quality of classes offered. I've called 4 times since I enrolled yesterday, spoke to 3 different service reps and ALL 3 were knowledgeable about the product and my specific subscription plan. They were POLITE, spoke intelligible English and didn't rush me off the call or use prewritten fake scripts. WOW! When does that ever happen anymore. A live person answered the phone, no voicemail messages, didn't have communicate through automated chat or a string of emails. I am so impressed.

My subscription includes unlimited classes for all members of our family, after browsing classes offered I realized what a great value my subscription is. High quality courses such as Minecraft and Roblox coding and many more. Found classes for all members of our family. Have already taken grade assessment test for my son. Hopefully the tutoring and class experiences will live up to our customer experience so far. I highly recommend.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I have been with Varsity Tutors for about 3 years. I started my son with Varsity because he was struggling with phonetic sounds which was hindering his ability to read. My son is now reading. They have amazing tutors who actually help students with confidence along with learning the core subjects. Not only does my son use it, but my daughter also gets help in math. When she first began she struggled with Algebra but her grades have improved. She always expresses how much she appreciates her tutor. He is patient and takes time to explain things that she does not understand. Varsity Tutors has been a great experience for both of my children and I highly recommend anyone who has children or taking a class seek help through these tutors. They are professional and very knowledgeable.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Hello varsity tutors. This is Stella ** and I’m really happy with this site. Actually I’m a Korean so I’m not fluent of English But when I started to use this website

I started to get interested in English and finished the course up to 7th grade in USA Education by varsity tutors, myself. Now I can’t apply a lot of good class

But I will apply for a class again during the winter vacation And then I’ll meet a lot of kind, good teachers. I always thought that I wanted to get out of this Korean education and I was able to learn American curriculum with good teachers from other countries away from Korean education that evokes competition and selfishness. Lastly Thank you to your efforts. I had a good experience.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

Varsity Tutors is amazing. They pair with a tutor that suits you. Am studying for GED math. My tutor is wonderful. She helps me work through the problems step by step. I would have never gotten this far without Varsity Tutors. Thank you so much.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

When I first inquired about it they called me right away to ask the specifics and made sure I gave them every detail for my tutor. I have it for my son and I, we both are succeeding in our studies. Love it. Better option by far!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I am currently doing private tutoring and group classes to learn Spanish and am having a great experience. They have a great teaching methods and loads of patience. My tutor is kind, very knowledgeable, and when my schedule gets hectic and I need to change my private sessions she is very accommodating of this. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking to improve their skills in Spanish or any other area of academia.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Varsity Tutors has been of great help to assist my kids with their reading. They have great variety of tutors who understand the requirements and pace the learning as per kid's ability. My Kid was having trouble with phonics and vowel sounds. Tutor practiced the sounds, words and now help with reading books. This has been a great find and I would recommend it to others.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

Once I was hooked up with the perfect tutor the lessons were excellent. The tutor was knowledgeable and patient and guided me through my process. Her knowledge of the subject was extensive, and help me understand what I needed to know to reach Michael’s.

Varsity Tutors Company Information