Call toll free
4.64/5
Based on 116 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 40,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over three million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

172 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I signed up at the Varsity Tutoring website hoping to find a tutor. They subsequently told me that they have no local tutors at all, and I told them I was no longer interested. However, they continue to call me all the time. Sometimes every day. Sometimes more than once a day. I cannot get them to stop calling me.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi, Nico. We are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience with our sales representatives. Your review suggests that you did not receive our best efforts, and we take that seriously. Our Customer Experience team has reviewed your account and is attempting to reach out, in an effort to provide any additional resolution that may be helpful. We appreciate your feedback!

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Aug. 9, 2018

I have spoken with the company and we have resolved the issue. They were happy to speak with me and willing to come up with a acceptable resolution for all involved.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! The tutors they hire are completely unreliable. I purchased 50 hours for my 8 year old son for summer tutoring. The first tutor quit after 4 sessions completely out of the blue. I still have some of her things at my house. She said she had too many students to handle, but sent me email today asking for me to be a reference for a nanny job. The next tutor was great, my 8 year old son really liked her and she promised to continue with him once school started, and now I received a call that she has quit because she is a teacher and school is starting back up.

I am so frustrated and upset! I have used 10 hours of my 50 purchased because of the lapse in between tutors, and weeks they needed off because of this or that. I expected three hours a week for the 11 weeks of summer (some left over if needed during school). I feel like I completely failed my son, he did not get the prep he needed to start third grade. Now I have 40 hrs. left to use and they will not issue a refund! Refunds only in first 30 days. I only saw a tutor three times in the first 30 days. Even though this is no fault of mine or my sons. Pick a company for your child that offers a refund if you're unsatisfied, or only buy 5 hours at a time so you don't get screwed.

Varsity Tutors response

Nicole- We apologize that you did not have a positive experience with our company. Your review suggests that you did not receive our best efforts, and we take that seriously. A member of our Customer Experience team will review your account and be in contact with you. We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I like the reviews for Varsity Tutors. They were very professional from the initial call to them finding a person. They were very attentive to the needs of Christin, my daughter. And they were quick to readjust the schedule when needed. They were really good and they helped 100%. Her learning experience from Varsity Tutors was perfect. It prepared her for her upcoming pre-med classes.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

My daughter has improved since using Varsity for general tutoring, and we have an ongoing relationship with the tutor. She is still tutoring my daughter.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My daughter has had help with Physics and the tutor she's had from Varsity Tutors was wonderful. If we need tutoring this next school year in the same subject, we plan on using him again. My daughter is now more confident in her ability to be able to work with the conception of problems. We've used a different tutoring option before and Varsity Tutors was better in terms of the quality of their tutors. I would recommend Varsity Tutors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: July 31, 2018

In some of the other online tutors that I researched, the cost was more and with Varsity Tutors, it was less. Also, there were very positive reviews that I read so we chose them. Once we decided that this was the route that we were gonna go, we reached out to them and they gave us their pricing. Then, we picked the package that fit us and they set us up and paired my son with a tutor based on his personality. It was a very smooth process. We knew that weekly we would be having two-hour sessions every week and Alex would send us an appointment reminder. Also, he really worked well with my son. Their personalities meshed, which made it easier, and he was very flexible in his schedule and meeting with my son’s schedule. My son plays sports and work two jobs and Alex was very willing to work around that.

Alex decided each week what they would work on. They started out with English and he would assign my son some practice test. My son would take two to three English practice test untimed for a couple of weeks and then he would do some timed ones. And then during the session, they would go over those questions and work on the ones that he missed so that he understood why he missed them. They selected a good tutor and my son had great results.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My son got more encouragement through Varsity and little more feedback than other tutoring options we've used before. He enjoyed his learning experience and he felt that it was worth his time, which I found very encouraging given his age that he would be interested in spending more time studying. And he was motivated to set up future tutoring appointments all on his own without me having to tell him to do so. So, he got an A on his AP Chemistry finals with help from Varsity Tutors and scored well enough on the AP exam that he can opt out of General Chemistry at next year at college. Also, he raised his ACT score four points. It's better than anything we’ve done.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I was very pleased with Varsity Tutors. My son is difficult to deal with. He was getting better as he gets older, but he has a struggle with learning. He’s a high-functioning, autistic kid with ADHD, so it makes him a little difficult to teach, but I wanted to give him the best opportunity there was. I searched on the internet and reading some of the reviews about Varsity Tutors, they sounded like a really good place and I thought I’d give them a try. We had a total of three tutors. I was amazed with the first tutor, Steven. He was able to interact, speak and teach my son. He had a way about him that he’d go down to Jacob’s level and he made the sessions fun. My son learned a tremendous amount.

On the other hand, I didn’t see much care from the second tutor. He would set up an appointment and then cancel at the last minute, and then set up an appointment and not show up. So, I contacted Varsity Tutors and told them I wanted somebody else. They hooked me up with another gentleman who was just as outstanding, if not more than the first one. I really enjoy having them. They were down-to-earth people that could relate to Jacob's problems because I found out that they had issues learning, too. One of them wants to become an engineer and the other one wants to become a doctor now. And it simply made me aware that they were so good. Also, both of them came from a long distance, so they’ve had a long drive to get up to our place.

My son's grades improved. He does not have a little understanding of the new ways of doing math, especially when it comes to algebra which he is really struggling with. He also had a problem with memorization, which is a key component of any type of math. He couldn’t memorize 1x1 to 12x12, which is an intricate part of math, but the tutors helped him through trial and error practicing that, and now he can do it instantaneously. Also, when he had problems with other subjects, they were able to jump in and help him with that.

My only issue that I have with Varsity Tutors was when I tried to get the third tutor. I called and spoke to them quite a few times, and it didn’t seem like they were working as hard as they did when they first tried to get the first two tutors. Time seemed to be ticking by without having a tutor, but overall, I was greatly satisfied. I still have hours with them, but I wanted to let it go this summer. I will pick them back up again in a couple weeks and let them tutor my son again. I do not regret getting Varsity Tutors. I went to everybody I knew around me and told them I was so happy with them.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I’ve used other tutors in the past and Varsity Tutors is good considering my son had passed all of his exams last year. And he had not passed on his exams in the previous years. Somebody who could get my kid to pass his exams is nothing short of a miracle, and his tutor named Josh is great. My son still hates education and anything that has to do with it but the tutor is a requirement on my part that he had to have and he could have cared less either way. I’m very happy with the experience and I hope that it gave him a good enough foundation. But if I need tutors again this coming school year, we’re gonna keep Varsity Tutors in mind.

Original review: July 23, 2018

My work schedule doesn’t allow me to get off of work and go see a tutor. So I did some research and found that Varsity Tutors had excellent ratings on the Better Business Bureau and on Google. I was assigned to a personable young lady and was presented with a package option. My experience in dealing with her was outstanding. The tutor I was then assigned to was Christopher and it worked out perfect ‘cause that was his full time job. Even with the time difference, he was still able to accommodate me and that experience was great. My class was set up such that we had homework then a quiz and discussion. So Chris would help me with the homework, which would subsequently help me with the quiz. He was very knowledgeable about everything we covered and even when he didn’t exactly know something, we would go through the book and that would bring it back to his memory.

The platform for Varsity Tutors also allows you to have the webcam and the whiteboard and then we could share screens. So Chris could see my desktop and every single problem I was working on. It was all real-time. They also have that platform where it records your session so I was able to go back and review things when it came time for the quiz or a discussion question. It's a total game changer especially for online learners and adults studying topics that are not their strong suits. Even when you sit face to face with a tutor, you’re not necessarily gonna remember everything you cover. I had been halfway through the algebra course and I was totally failing and bombing everything. I got 60% but after class, I got a high B because of Chris. Varsity Tutors has been great and I've recommended them to a couple of my colleagues. Varsity will always be my first tool to go to from here on out.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I googled and found Varsity Tutors, and they were were very quickly receptive to our needs. They were personable and knowledgeable, and they were very quick in helping us. They knew our need for a tutor was very time-sensitive because summer classes are very quick. My daughter was taking Organic Chemistry 1, which is a very hard subject, and we used a Varsity tutor for that. First, they gave me a tutor that was gonna be on Skype, but my daughter didn't find that effective. Right away, the next day, they got me somebody else and that was great. The new tutor was patient and I really thought he was great. He brought tools to show my daughter different things and he interacted with her using those tools. I was very happy with Varsity Tutors.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I wanted to learn a new language and was looking for a private tutor. I saw Varsity Tutors' advertisement and thought it was a good deal. I called and subscribed, and I have been with them ever since. They call every month or so to check in and make sure that my satisfaction is still good with my tutor. My tutor is great and I have no issues. I am learning a new language I am going to need and that's what I am being helped with. It’s a little on the expensive side at times which is the only drawback, but apart from that and waiting for the discount, it’s worth it and I recommend it.

Insufficient response received
Original review: July 19, 2018

I called to inquire about tutoring services for a statistics class. I initially agreed to $630 for 9 hours of tutoring. $70/hours very expensive and I had to wait one week before I could even meet with a tutor. I went to look on their platform but my instincts told me to not agree to use it and I went looking for something else. Better and cheaper. I found it through Care.com. A good tutor for $30/hour. Dozens of local tutors responded to my job offer. I had my pick. All within 24 hours. I called Varsity Tutors the next day and canceled about 12 hours after I initially spoke to them. However despite multiple calls Varsity Tutors still charged my credit card. Not once. But twice. They almost got away with the second charge because I wasn't looking closely enough. Varsity Tutors are money grabbers. Be careful with this company.

Varsity Tutors response

Holly- We are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience with our company. Your review suggests that you did not receive our best efforts, and we take that seriously. A member of our Customer Experience team will review your account and be in contact with you. We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I ordered a tutor from this company a month in advance of the test. It took a while until they finally found me one. My first tutor arrived late without notice, until I contacted him to see where he was. He spent the entire tutoring sessions talking to me about how much he loved the Italian culture! I literally was taught three problems in the three hours I saw him. I did not pay 105 an hour for a friend to gossip with!!!! He also had me meet him where he lived, in which I had to pay a toll to go there and, left after an hour because of an emergency. Again, I was taught nothing!!!!

I was told by the company that the tutors would work around my schedule and come to my home. I immediately asked to cancel, and was talked into working with another tutor. This guy arrived to my home an hour late! I didn't even bother working with him and asked for a full refund which I was promised if it did not work out with the second person. Now I am days away from taking the test because of the time I wasted with this company and will for sure fail my test! My 15 year old cousin started tutoring me today and she taught me more in 10 mins meanwhile, the tutor from the company taught me NOTHING.

How can you have tutors who did not ever take the exam tutor for the exam??? They initially refunded me more than I paid and like an honest person I called and let them know the amount was wrong. Now, they only refunded half of my money when I was told the money would be refunded in full. Do not waste your money with this company!!!! I refuse to remove this post until they make things right with me and refund me the full amount I was promised. Thank you for wasting my time and causing me to fail the GRE.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Patricia, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience with Varsity Tutors was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: July 13, 2018

When I went to the Varsity Tutors website, I checked their reviews and backgrounds and decided to go with them. My son had to take the summer sets again since he failed the first time. He has issues with writing and reading so he needs more time. With my son having a tutor, I know that he would pass the second test. He is much better than the first set. His tutor has been flexible for us. Since I work, we figured out a time that was good for both of us and that helped me a lot. I had an excellent experience with Varsity Tutors. They called me all the time to ask if everything was okay and talked to the tutor if she was in. I like that a lot because it means to me that they care about their customers. It is something that I’m gonna be loyal to and work with.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Was a very professional tutor and knew basically everything about the subject. Helped my grade go from a 43 to a 78 by the end of the year. I am so happy for the tutor I received and couldn’t be more happy with the outcome. If I ever need another tutor it most likely be Zaki.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I researched tutoring services to provide our teen with requested support to strengthen her strategies for the SAT. We had a terrible experience with the first two tutors - one canceled 15 minutes before the session was supposed to begin, and the second kept rescheduling until finally admitting that our neighborhood was too far away for him. By this point we had lost several months of valuable prep time. The final tutor at least showed up on time consistently - at this point, our standards were low.

Our teen did not learn any strategies for the SAT - this was a complete waste of money and of time. We ended up with a lot of hours left - mostly because of the serial cancellations. When I sought to get a refund for these hours I was told it was far too late to get a refund. I was completely stonewalled. I think this company hires anyone who wants to make a little extra money, and passes them off as 'qualified.' I was extremely disappointed and feel ripped off.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: June 28, 2018

We are ecstatic with our daughter's progress and VT responsiveness when we have an issue. Short of 5 stars because we're still trying to find a good match for our son. I'm hopeful we'll get that resolved next week. Our daughter's teacher is well prepared for each session, firm and supportive. Each session is maximized for learning. Very impressed with her.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Varsity Tutors was a little more private and there is more one-on-one than in a classroom setting. They are one of the first people to approach me and get back to me and so, I went with them and they were the first one that I chose. The tutors are very good and the specific tutor that I worked with was genuine, nice, kind and honest. He gave me some constructive criticism and found my weaknesses. We sat down and he helped me go through the motion of writing the essay for the GRE, formulating the strategy for writing that essay and how to go about it during the test. They did great for the test and I did much better than I expected.

Friends should give Varsity a try. They are helpful, professional and they’re specific to the learner. It’s a little hard to do it over the computer but it works out because they’re able to put up different sample questions up on the screen for you and walk you through. They make up for the fact that it’s not one-on-one by using some of the abilities of the program that they use to be able to give you the best possible learning experience. It was good and I would recommend it.

Original review: June 26, 2018

All of my tutors for the above subjects have been very helpful and knowledgeable. They are flexible on times that we meet - which is great because I work full time and have to fit my school work in whenever I am able to! My Biostatistics tutor was extremely knowledgeable and took the time to help me understand the concepts. I also have had a great experience with using varsity tutors for paper/essay editing! I would recommend this program to anyone that is struggling in a course or anyone who just needs help focusing!

Original review: June 23, 2018

We were looking online for a tutor and Varsity Tutors seemed to have what we were looking for. I also liked the option that if a particular tutor did not work out, we could change tutors and get a fit that would work for us. Our Varsity tutor has been absolutely phenomenal and wonderful, from changing the tutoring schedules to accommodating us on unscheduled tutor dates, such as for emergency help. Moreover, my daughter’s grades went up, so we were doubly pleased. It was a great experience for her and she looked forward to the sessions. The tutor honed in on the areas where she needed help and was able to help her, and she was very friendly and got my daughter, who's a little withdrawn and shy to open up. Depending on people’s circumstances, Varsity can be a little pricey, but the service was well worth the cost for me and I would absolutely use them.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Overall the tutor was very helpful. You get out of the experience exactly what you put in. For best results I highly recommend doing numerous problems before you even begin a tutoring session. So when you do have your hour and 30 min you can focus on where you really need the help. Also send the tutor all you possibly can. The more the tutor has to work with the more help they can do for you.

Original review: June 22, 2018

Varsity Tutors had availability for me to start then and I was desperate for an assignment. I went with them and it worked out. When I logged on then and was assigned to somebody for instant help, I got matched and he was great. I liked him so much and we worked together so well that I requested to keep him for my regular tutoring session. He was really helpful and I was using Varsity Tutors for accounting, which was hard for me. But he was really patient and didn’t get frustrated when I didn’t understand right away.

I learned about accounting, but he also taught me a bit about computers, like how to use excel and different things. So, I learned more than I was expecting to. The reps of Varsity Tutors were really attentive and always checked in to make sure things were going well. And if I ever had a problem, they were really on top of it. I would tell others that Varsity Tutors would be a great way to get help, and not just get enough help to pass the class, but really learn some things that you could use later on.

Original review: June 21, 2018

Varsity does a great job of customer service and that they are responsive to phone calls and their app is pretty good. The service would be improved if there was a better way to vet or briefly interview tutors before trying them out. Even though they will refund you if you did not like the tutor, it is an efficient and can get frustrating for the student.

Original review: June 20, 2018

We appreciate the follow-up and all of the excellent tutoring. The tutors have been very experienced and our agent (Allison) has been diligent in following up on our progress. Very much appreciate it!

Original review: June 20, 2018

My daughter is only in her first few weeks of long-term tutoring for the ACT but we are delighted so far! My daughter is extremely happy with her tutor which makes her motivated to work hard. The online format is working out well and I get regular calls from a member of the staff (our personal coordinator) to make sure all going well.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I really liked the gentleman that I spoke with on the phone when I first called Varsity Tutors. He made me feel like they could really do what I needed to help my son in college who was failing a class. And I didn't feel it was necessary to look elsewhere although I saw a lot of tutoring companies. My son at UC Berkeley got a big plus in class with the tutor's help. He would have failed that class without Varsity Tutors. They have a variety of people and they're very good at finding the right personality. And they're good at working with you if the right personality doesn't come out first. Give Varsity Tutors a check and see if you can find a person you need who can help in a certain subject.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I contacted Varsity Tutors a few days ago. I received the rates for a tutor, however, I wasn't given any additional information so I sent an e-mail over the weekend requesting a list of the tutors in my area as well as their qualifications because I wanted a certified tutor after reading the reviews for Varsity Tutors. I received a call today 6/19/18 from Sandra asking if I was still interested. I advised her that I requested additional information. As per Sandra, that's not their process. I explained why I wanted the information and advised that I would like to select the tutor.

As per Sandra, maybe Varsity Tutors is not the company for me. I'm not sure why she didn't want to share this information up front unless she had something to hide. If you are asking me to spend almost $600.00 for 6 hours of service I should at least be able to obtain the qualifications of the person that I paid for. I'm so grateful that I read the reviews because the rates are expensive and I can't afford to waste money.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback, Tanya. We will have a member of our Customer Experience team review your account and get in contact with you. We are disappointed you did not have a positive experience with our representative.

Original review: June 17, 2018

We talked to Varsity Tutors and it looked like they aim to match you with the appropriate person. It helped my son to get to reading level. And I already recommended them to a friend of mine.

Original review: June 15, 2018

When I signed up for this service over 2 years ago I was very clearly told unused hours could be refunded when we discontinued the service. I set up an auto payment and they have gotten a check from me like clockwork for 2+ years. We have had numerous scheduling issues, tutors outright no-showing and in some cases it’s been difficult to find a tutor for certain subjects. So, we haven’t used the prepaid hours every month and have over $5300 in unused hours accumulated.

We use the service for my two oldest daughters, the younger one has special needs (ASD), so it’s understandable we’ve had a hard time finding a tutor that fits her needs. We’ve tried again and again, around 10 or so tutors (some good, some bad) and she seems to be getting no benefit from the tutoring. No increase in grades, no retention of learned material, etc. Our oldest daughter graduated and is doing some tutoring herself. So, we no longer find the service useful and we want to move on.

We call to get a refund for our unused hours ($5300+) and are told of this 30 day policy and are not entitled to a refund. If we have auto pay set up every month and we can’t consistently schedule tutors every month, how can this policy possibly be an effective policy? It’s deceitful and completely audacious for this company to somehow believe they’re entitled to keep my money for a prepaid service that has not been provided. The website says 100% satisfaction guarantee. Don’t believe this. The sales people tell you unused hours can be refunded, don’t believe this.

Are we expected to call every 30 days and get a refund for unused hours because y’all can’t find a tutor to come out here? What a ridiculous policy. The sad part is we have 3 younger children and I think the service could be useful for children without special needs, but we won’t be doing business with this deceptive company. We will definitely be using someone else in the future for the rest of our children. As for this issue, my husband and I are irate and our next call will be to our lawyer to resolve this matter.

Varsity Tutors response

We are glad you were able to speak with a manager since posting this review. Varsity Tutors is looking forward to working with you to come to a resolution regarding your concerns. Thank you for your feedback.

Varsity Tutors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

• Best for: Those looking for highly educated tutors, that can stay involved in academic achievements long after the GRE is finished.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

MO
1-888-870-9414
www.varsitytutors.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business