Search Tutors
  3. Tutoring
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Search Tutors
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.72/5

Varsity Tutors is a Live Learning Platform that connects students and professionals to experts in any subject, anywhere, at any time. Over four million hours of live instruction have taken place on the platform in 1,000+ subjects.

Varsity Tutors Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: July 4, 2019

When I called Varsity Tutors on a Sunday, I just wanted to leave a message, but I got a person who talked to me. They sounded very professional, informed and interesting, which created a good impression. Then, they provided good information. I liked the fact that they come to the house, which makes one less thing for me to drive my son to. I also like that they match their tutors, not just to the academic needs of the child, but also to the type of the child. That really impressed me. We're very happy with our interactions with Varsity's tutors. We've had experience with two people and both of them had been excellent, highly qualified and have great skills in relating to children and getting them engaged.

We had a tutor who is a very experienced 10th-grade teacher. My child was not really interested because he didn’t think he needed the tutoring, but she found a great way to connect with him and get his attention. It worked really well and he was looking forward to the lessons and we saw the benefits right away. Unfortunately, she broke her foot, so for the second package we got, Varsity Tutors paired us with another tutor. It was awesome and an excellent fit. He's younger and a new teacher, but my son absolutely loves him and would do anything he asked. It was a really positive experience.

We started during the school year the first time, then we decided to use the second six sessions during the summer because our school years get a little crazy. He's gonna start an advanced class in language arts and that’s not his strength because he's a math kid. He's a straight A student, but I've noticed some deficits that showed on the test and in attitude. We didn’t have very good teachers in that subject, so Varsity Tutors helped to catch him up. Both tutors, on my request, walked with him on comprehension and they were very complimentary. He is now more confident in his ability to express himself in writing and verbally. We're taking a little break because of the summer but we still have a few sessions to finish, and we're looking forward to it. Varsity Tutors is good and I've recommended them to a bunch of people.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I went online and I found different places, but then I found Varsity Tutors and I called them to see what they have to offer me. When I called, I spoke to Jen. She was the one that gave all the information. I shared with her about my son and his disability. He had an autoimmune disease, and it attacked his brain. He was paralyzed for a year. And then he was having seizures for two years and memory problems. He's still recovering from the NMDA. But when I talked to Jen and shared my needs, she thought she was able to send me somebody. I went ahead and see if he works.

We signed up for the first 50 hours. We used two tutors which was math and language arts. The first tutor for math didn't work out for us because she was always either calling out because she didn't have vehicle or her job or something happened, or she was late. So, I called Jen again. I told her the tutor wasn't working for me, and she changed it right away for me. She sent another tutor for math, which turned out very good. My son was almost able to have a friendship with the tutor and able to ask her questions because he is really, really shy. And if he don't know you, then he's not gonna ask you because he thinks he is not supposed to ask a lot of questions. So, he got really comfortable with her. But when we talked to her, she's not gonna be able to tutor this year because she applied for college and she was gonna move out of state. So, we said goodbye to her at the end of the year.

We finished the tutor with 100 hours for the whole year and it really helped a lot. My son is still behind in language arts because it's a lot of comprehension and reading. But with the tutor, he was able to pass it, which was really good. The tutor would come and help him. And he was able to talk to her and deal with her very good. It worked out for us. I really liked the program, and the tutors were always on time.

We are trying to get a tutor for next year, but I have been sick for the past six months. Right now, I'm in natural clinic here where you have to get and pay everything out of pocket. It's getting a little bit expensive for me. So, I spoke to Jen, and I asked her to give me a call by the beginning or middle of July to see if they have something. She always calls me when Varsity Tutors has a special rate for the hours.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Both tutors for English and for Chemistry from Varsity Tutors helped my daughter tremendously, She plans in using them until she graduates from high school. My daughter does most of the interaction but I control it. They text me and everything is recorded, but if she needs tutoring at the last minute, they have great communication. They work with her with everything. On chemistry, I told my daughter that she’s on her own because I have no clue what that’s about. She said we needed Gil because she had a test to get into. Gil has made this so awesome. Now, my daughter is getting ready for her finals. She will get her study sheet today where they prepare them.

She goes to an all-girls Catholic school and it’s a very hard school. She’s so calm about it and I’m so glad. I told her that I was so glad she has Gil. It’s amazing. It’s the same with her English tutor. She has a session today and I asked her how it has been working and she said the tutor has been helping. I was glad to hear that because I know she was struggling. She was a B-plus. She is in her Honors English class and now, it’s at 95%. It wouldn’t be possible without their help. So, I’m very grateful. I am very proud but I’m not gonna sit here and take credit. The credit is in the tutors because without the tutors’ help, I don’t know what we would do.

We are very happy with Varsity Tutors and I told a friend that she needs to get into it. These tutors know what they are doing and everything is fresh in their minds. If you look at their profile, you will see what they specialize in and everything is documented. You will get all the notes of the whole session so, there’s nothing to worry about. I recommended them to several friends. One of my friends already took advantage of it. If they don’t, then that’s on them.

My daughter is a straight A student and without the help of the tutors, especially Gil, she wouldn’t be one. She has a solid A on her chemistry and she’s confident now. She’s gonna be taking AP Bio next year and Gil is a tutor for that. So, we’re good. Varsity Tutor hires amazing people and they are doing a great job. The experience with them has been life-changing for my child. She doesn’t have that additional stress on her that she used to have and as a parent, you don’t want your child to go through the pressure. As it is, their studies are very hard and Varsity Tutors has helped out.

Original review: April 12, 2019

With Varsity Tutors, there is an availability of tutors in our area. We've had two tutors. The first one responded when necessary regarding appointments or scheduling changes. And then during the actual sessions, she was like any other instructor. We've been much happier with the second tutor that we've had. He is extremely responsive. Not only does he interact in terms of scheduling and minor changes to curriculum, but he also provides me with feedback regularly on how my son is progressing, which I think is vital. He's amazing. My son's grade was a 25%, and he's up to an 85% now.

Varsity Tutors is a little on the pricey side. My son's tuition is very expensive already. He's in the college prep school. Initially, I was feeling like we weren't seeing the results that we had expected. However, we have seen such a drastic improvement with the second tutor. And because of the level of interaction that we have and his flexibility, if my son has a test coming up, he does not think twice to rearrange his schedule so that he can fit my son in earlier to make sure that they have a session right before the test. And they cover what's going to happen on the test. He doesn't think twice to deviate from the curriculum a little to make sure that he's adjusting to my son's little co-curriculum. So, that's one thing that has been huge. And in that case, the price is probably worth it.

Varsity Tutors actually recommended that we switch tutors because I was ready to pull back and try some other different options. The person that is like my account manager took about 30 minutes to talk to me about my son, individually as a young man, his interests, what he likes to do, and what he reads. They weren't academic questions. Some of them were, but for the most part they were more just about who my son was as a person. And he personally paired him off with this other tutor. And that's phenomenal. Also, they gave us some hours back because we weren't super happy. And so, I can't say enough. They have done everything to make this an amazing experience.

The company has been responsive overall. My account manager has been amazing. He doesn't think twice to call me just to ask how's everything going when my son had a mid-term, which was sort of gonna be a clincher on where this grade was gonna go. He emailed me the day before, and asked me to wish him good luck because he knew that that next day my son's mid-term was coming. They're so interested in seeing his success. My son is excited about learning Latin again. Earlier in the semester, he was just disappointed and sort of really dreading going to class everyday and dreading the tutoring session. And he's excited about it again.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I’m in a PhD program and I had some private tutors from school who I was not so happy with. They weren’t knowledgeable enough so I googled and I found Varsity Tutors. They were the first one I contacted and I have been using them since July or August of last year. I have one tutor so far. Her name is Deborah and I have nothing but great things to say about her. She’s knowledgeable and she has a PhD herself. She takes time to explain to me some of the basic things that I’ve been missing. When it’s not tutoring sessions and I send an email, I get a response immediately which is very much different from my professors. Also, if she doesn’t know something because my field is very specialized, she admits it and we work things out together. She helped me to go through my written prelim which I passed in October and I would’ve not been able to do it without her.

Three weeks ago, I passed my oral prelim which makes me a PhD candidate now. There would have been no way I would’ve been able to do that again without her assistance. I am in the process of finishing my proposal now and I’m working with Deborah very closely on this. I will be using her help in any of the steps, before the prelims, for writing the proposal and even when it comes to my dissertation and defending it. I’m very happy with the program and I’ve signed up for a whole bunch of more hours. I also have some of my cohorts who are going through the same stresses that I am going through to get ready. So, I’ve already given my recommendations to friends and some of the other students that asked me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My experience with Varsity Tutors was simply amazing! They were responsive to my needs in my initial contact. They matched me with a tutor who is knowledgeable on the LSAT test. James' presentations were excellent, in depth, and professional on the Analytical Reasoning section of the LSAT test. James was prompt, calm and reassuring whenever we were in session. I would recommend Varsity Tutors to anyone who is struggling with test anxiety.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Marie was extremely helpful in preparing me for the GMAT. She does an excellent job of explaining practice problems and teaching useful shortcuts. My score jumped 90 points to a 700 after working with her for just four weeks.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Mr. ** was a great tutor. We focused on the GRE verbal section and targeted my weaknesses, which he was very well equipped and prepared to do. I am very satisfied with how we approached the tutoring based off of my own goals, which he formulated his plans off of. In addition, I am very happy with the resources that he provided to help me for the test, which again, targeted specific weaknesses. He was very patient with me and helped me to understand how to think in regards to the test. Overall, I am very satisfied with this tutoring experience and highly recommend this tutor for anybody that is struggling with the GRE Verbal and Writing Sections. In the end, my verbal score improved significantly.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I had already utilized another tutoring company and failed the MtEL before finding Kelly and Varsity Tutors. I was desperate to find a way to learn this material and pass this test without totally losing my mind. Kelly listened to all of the feedback about my prior experience and what I felt was and wasn’t effective. She worked with me to come up with a plan to get me through the test. Even though it took me two more tries to pass, the second I was only 1 point off which was a tremendous improvement already so we knew we were on the right track. Following that we revisited areas of weakness and adjusted our plans as needed so I was able to pass on the third try. I do not know how I would have passed this test without her and would absolutely recommend her to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Elizabeth has been a tremendous asset to our daughter. She is increasing both her confidence and knowledge for the ACT. She explains material in an articulate manner but also keeps things casual and not intimidating. She is always on time and answers all of our daughter’s questions.

Varsity Tutors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

• Best for: Those looking for highly educated tutors, that can stay involved in academic achievements long after the GRE is finished.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team