2. Education
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.83/5

Varsity Tutors is an online learning platform that connects students and professionals to tutors in various subjects. With Varsity Tutors, you get access to instant tutoring services for education levels from kindergarten through college, as well as for exams like the CPA. Visit the company’s website to find out if its services fit your needs.

Varsity Tutors Call Now Toll Free (888) 870-9414 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

Varsity Tutors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: July 29, 2020

I would definitely use Varsity Tutors again and would recommend them to a friend. Although I felt confident with the math, I was struggling with the concepts in an online summer Physics course. I completed an online request form and was called first thing the next morning by a representative who asked me what kinds of problems I was having so he could determine a tutor who would be a good fit. They offered to set up a session within 24 hours and had "emergency" tutors available if I needed one right away. I was placed with Mo ** and we clicked immediately. She really did understand the stress and frustration I was having and was able to give me usable strategies right away. The technical format of Varsity Tutors was very user-friendly as well. It was easy to upload images from books (I was a little worried that I had a physical book and not an e-book, but it wasn't a problem at all).

I can see my tutor's face and we can both write on a shared whiteboard. It was such a better experience than trying to use my college's online Zoom tutoring service, which was clumsy, slow, and I couldn't see anyone's face - very impersonal. Mo was knowledgeable, reassuring, and helped build my confidence in subject of Physics. It was a great experience and I wouldn't have made it through 2 months of this summer course without her!

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

We contacted Varsity Tutors to get assistance with preparing our 8th grade son for the High School Placement Test. Varsity recommended twelve sessions. But we were in a time-crunch and only had time to do six sessions - at two hours each. We have used tutors before but always in-person. Varsity recommended virtual sessions as they could more easily place us with the right resource for the HSPT. We were a bit unsure as to the effectiveness of online sessions.

Varsity placed us with Natasha. She had deep experience in HSPT preparation. And it turned out to be a great experience. She was able to quickly identify areas of weakness and address them. Probably the most significant and important aspect was her style and ability to connect with our 14 year old son. She had a very positive-feedback style, even and especially, when correcting a wrong answer. She left helpful notes after each session. Sessions are available online to re-watch. And as a parent, I even learned a few tips and tricks in how to better interact with my kids around school/homework.

The final session before the exam she provided specific, targeted test-taking strategies (i.e. our son always got the correct answer on a certain type of question – if he reviewed it twice). It was a very tailored experience. We’re still awaiting the results but definitely feel like we did “all that could be done” to prepare for the exam. We were very pleased with with Natasha and would specifically request her again in the future.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I would strongly recommend Varsity Tutors to anyone interested in seeking help with the GRE. Prior to taking the prep course I was extremely unprepared for the GRE. Now, after taking the course, I can honestly say that I am well prepared for the exam and feel confident in my ability to perform well. One of my favorite things about Varsity Tutors is that they truly care about each and every one of their students, and it shows from the second you decide to enroll. I received a call where I was asked about my preferred learning style and personality type so that my instructor would know more about me and how to best help me learn.

When it came time for the actual class, my instructor made it feel personal despite the fact that we were across the country from one another. He would always ask us questions about where we were from and what our future goals were. I loved the fact that we were able to form relationships even though none of us were in the same state.

My instructor's name was Stephen **. I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of a tutor for the GRE. He is very kind, respectful, and fun. One of my favorite things about him is that he is simply good at teaching. He is very intelligent explains concepts very clearly and thoroughly. He always welcomes questions and finds new ways to explain certain things if students doesn't understand. If I were to take more classes, I would absolutely request to have Stephen ** again. Overall, my experience with Varsity Tutors was great. I got more out of my class than I ever thought I would and I feel prepared to do well on the GRE.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Computer programming/Javascript. As a Varsity Tutors client, I'd like to express my gratitude for the services I was able to receive during last 10 months. First of all, VT did a great job finding the right match for my needs based on a feedback I provided. I started having zero experience with writing code and my initial expectations were low, but my tutor, Kaighen, quickly opened my eyes on the world of possibilities that comes with programming. Working with Kaighen was fun. He explained the concepts well. He had a good understanding of when to step in to assist and when it was time to push me to find solutions on my own. He listened to my feedback and did great helping me implement my ideas when writing the code. No matter what challenge or obstacle I encountered he always found a solution/workaround to deliver the desired final result, making sure I understood it at the same time.

Additionally, Kaighen was very reliable and very responsive in his communication which meant scheduling sessions and coming up with plans of action was a breeze. The results I achieved by working with VT and Kaighen far surpassed my initial expectations. What was supposed to be a childish game project in my mind, grew into a professional grade, realistic Air Traffic Control Radar Simulation (my passion). It was a great journey transitioning from having no coding experience to now being able to write and to modify the code according to my future needs. I would highly recommend tutor Kaighen to anyone looking to accomplish a specific programming related goal or a life-long dream. Thank you Kaighen and Varsity Tutors for helping me realize one of mine.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

The ease in scheduling and online confirmation helps alleviate any stress that my daughter is already undergoing given remote school. As a parent, I love the weekly reports. Most importantly, my daughter is learning the material, has a much greater understanding of the subject matter and is doing very well on assignments, quizzes and tests.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

I was coached by Amanda for about 8 weeks to prepare from the ACT (as a 42 year old who left school 26 years ago). She listened to my explanations and needs and very appropriately adapted to the teaching style and direction suitable for me. Amanda helped me break down the process of approaching the ACT and dramatically increased my working knowledge on the Math and Science portions. We set a goal of a 24 composite and scored exactly that. Worth every penny.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Oct. 3, 2020

Aaron has been a patient and effective tutor for my resident 10 year old. His patience and ability to check in with my son as a person helps build the bond. My son was able to follow the lesson and felt free to ask questions when needed.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

Awesome class with Jay ** today!!!! He gave so many jewels of not only the game as a player but also as a correspondent/commentator of the game! My grandson and I learned so very much!!! This class needs a replay!!!! Incredible!!!! Here’s a pic of my grandson! Thank you so very much!!!!

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is meeting your needs! You can replay our Star Courses for a limited time on our YouTube channel. Here's the link: (https://www.youtube.com/c/Varsitytutors/videos)

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

I wanted to help my daughter prepare for the HSPT test with the help of Varsity Tutors. First tutor didn’t have experience tutoring for that test nor did they use the Varsity Tutor platform. They weren’t prepared for the session and gave no plan for the next session. After requesting a second tutor that was assigned a week later, I explained my expectations for the session. Their response was, "I have other engagements, please find another tutor." I asked the agent if my expectations were out of line and they said no. This company is quick to take your money and not back it up with a service that they promise. The tool they use seems good but our experience with the tutors was pathetic. I would never recommend them based on our experience. Waste of time and money.

Simran,

Thank you fo visiting with us and detailing your concerns. Your satisfaction is important to us. We have issued you a full refund and issued you an additional 12 complimentary hours for you to try another tutor. If there is anything else that we can do to further improve your experience, please let us know.

The Varsity Tutors Client Experience Team

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Our son, Dominic, has been learning Latin with your instructor Asher P. Asher is an excellent instructor and works well with Dominic who has ADHD and sometimes looses focus. Asher is able to keep Dominic on-track. Dominic has excelled in learning Latin and enjoys the weekly class without any hesitation. Asher is a real asset and I highly recommend him has a language tutor. He is patient and engaging.

Varsity Tutors author review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team