Varsity Tutors

Compare GRE Prep Courses

Research top GRE Prep Courses recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Increased Rating!

I wrote a review that was posted on July 27 about not receiving a refund for unused hours of tutoring. I spoke to several different people with no success - until I reached Amy. She was wonderful and really listened to my complaint. She went out of her way to help resolve this issue. I am now receiving the refund for the unused hours.

Terri of Greenbrier, TN on

Original Review

I signed my son up for tutoring to prepare for the ACT. The tutor he was assigned to would only be online half of the time. He rearranged his work schedule to be available for tutoring. He would get online and wait. She would not be there half of the time. His ACT score did not improve. I didn't really expect it to based on the inconsistency of tutoring. Now they are refusing to refund my money for the unused portion of hours. I understand that I should be held responsible for the amount of time he used (even though there was no improvement on his scores), but to be forced to pay for unused hours is wrong. After reading through these reviews I see my son was not the only one who had a tutor to be a no show. I should have done better research. I would avoid this company at all costs.

I signed up for one hour for $80 as a trail. Two weeks later the tutor has not contacted me, they told me they were having issues with placement. I found another tutor and requested my money back. They say I signed a contract that I could only get my money back after one hour was used. The salesman and the website state there is a money back guarantee. In my book that is fraud, no service for payment and no money back guarantee. Steer clear.

I signed up and was told that I would be able to access instant online help and would be paired with a tutor immediately because my needs were urgent (within 24 hours). The sales rep complete misrepresented the service. Not only is the subject not available on their drop-down instant help page (90% of my reason for signing up), but the tutor is not an expert in my area. Also when I went to find customer service number to talk to someone about my concerns, the site was down. I was on the site earlier in the day and there was no warning the site would be down.

In addition when I talked to someone he kept insisting my needs were being met. When I repeatedly explained that the reason I signed up was for immediate (online) help, he dismissed this completely. I had to ultimately get a tutor through Wyzant. It's been less than 24 hours that I gave them my money and they refuse to reimburse me without going through at least one tutor and their refund policy. Also they don't offer a trial period which is nuts. Stay away. Use Wyzant if you can.

I was desperate to find an algebra tutor after I couldn't find any local tutors in my area. I asked Varsity if they had private face to face tutoring and they didn't. They offered online tutoring, which isn't for me and I just felt like I need a private face to face tutor. They made it seem like they are gods. Very good at convincing and persuading me that they are amazing. I didn't learn a thing, my first tutoring session was awful. Then my tutor canceled the second time. So they offered me instant tutoring and it was HORRIBLE! There was foreigners trying to teach me with accents. I couldn't understand what they were saying. Another one was rude.

One of my tutors got mad at me whenever I used my calculator even though my class strongly advises us to use a calculator and kept yelling at me whenever he saw me using a calculator, despite the fact that I have dyscalculia, that made me feel even more insecure about math and I canceled that session because I couldn't stop crying that entire day. I complained to customer service. They are provokingly nice however they do not answer your questions. And I've complained about the insensitivity of that tutor and they don't seem to care that their tutors are rude and not that educated. I've gotten a couple answers wrong on my homework because of them and I even had to correct them now and then.

After my horrible experience with Varsity Tutors, I've been asking them for a refund for about a week now. They hung up on me once when I mentioned a refund and then they said my account manager will call me back on that day to discuss refund and it's been a week later and no call. Which is hilarious because when I was interested in their tutoring they were so quick and eager to talk to me but when I asked for a refund they are no help and not as friendly. I honestly think they are procrastinating so 60 days can pass by and then it'll be my responsibility. I will be contacting my credit card company and possibly my local attorney and filling out a consumer complaint form. I am truly disappointed of the results of my experience with Varsity. It was only one session that made me realize this whole thing was a red flag, I wanted a refund right after my first session but of course they don't care as long as they have your money because you have to pay in full.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I would give this company zero stars if I could. They are eager to have you pay over $900.00 for services they set you up for on the phone & the tutor no shows because she's with another client. They say I signed a contract that I could only get my money back within 30 days after the salesman said my money back was 100% guaranteed. Now I have to take them to small claims court to get my money back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

I have been subscribed to the "Question of the Day: LSAT Logic Games" from Varsity Tutors. Many questions are not answerable. They do not contain enough information to answer them. This is a problem for someone who is practicing for the exam and trying to get the timing down. I tried to bring this up with Varsity Tutors via email but it is difficult to get in touch with them and I have not received a response to any of my inquiries. So if you're looking to purchase their service, I would do my research. Varsity Tutors reps do not feel it is important to address direct emails with complaints.

Consumer Increased Rating!

After an extended period company has offered to issue a $800 refund for unused. Issue has been resolved. Thank you!

Shauna of Eustis, FL on

Original Review

I needed a tutor for my 4th grader. I figured this would be easy enough and booked 30 hours with Varsity Tutors. They are eager to have you pay upfront. After a couple of weeks, I was placed with a tutor for 4th-grade basic reading and writing. She canceled our first session and arrived late or canceled the next few. I should have known at that moment. She was a decent tutor but unreliable. She even brought her child along for tutoring which I let go because my son seemed to bond with her. Cancellation after cancellation later I called Varsity Tutors and after a three-week wait was assigned another tutor who had little to no elementary experience. He completed a total of two sessions and "bailed" (as my son says.) The truth is, we live out of the metro area and nobody is willing to do the commute! We stated on day one that we were not interested in the online platform.

I called Varsity Tutors, at that point I had had enough of calling and waiting for them to sort this out. We wanted tutoring services, the service that we had paid in full for in January. We were not looking for AP Physics but a very basic service for a 4th grader. Four weeks later I am still waiting for tutor number three. We have since hired someone local and reliable. I spoke to a director today who told me because I was outside of my 60-day window I could not get any of the money back. Even though we have only completed 13 hours since January and that they wanted me to give them another try. I am not sure how a company fails to fulfill their end of the contract and will call me out on mine. Tutoring services are NOT being provided. Meanwhile, school ends in three week! I would not suggest this company to anybody. I have wasted time and energy and have been left totally frustrated with this experience.

This morning I put in a request for a tutor. I received a call right back (awesome) however it was 7:30 am in California and this guy called twice and woke up my whole house of teenagers and angry husband. I talking to him for a bit because my son needs help... He was very salty which is annoying and when he told me what he recommended and then the cost I said NO and hung up.

He called back right away, once again disturbing my house prior to 8 am on a Saturday!!! When I said that, "No means no and don't call me again!!!" He proceeded to text me from his personal text and leave me a harassing text!!! He wakes my house up, upsells me and then when I say no he still calls and then sends harassing text. This company is not ok.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Varsity Tutors are responsive to your needs.  They address any concerns you have and provide appropriate solutions.  Initially, I was not satisfied with my daughter's tutor, however after I addressed it with the company, I received a call back from Amanda, one of their Directors, who immediately provided a solution that went above and beyond expectations.  I highly recommend them.

Sandy of Glenview, IL on

Original Review

Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed! They essentially place your child's academic future in the hands of a College STUDENT who is not equipped with the experience and perceptiveness to identify your child's area of improvement, nor are they responsible. Here's what happened - judge for yourself... My daughter's ACT score remained the exact same as her "cold test" score. The "tutor" initially met with my daughter in person and then said he had to go back to college, which was out-of-state. As a result, he switched from in-person to online video chat sessions. He also was tutoring a total of 6 students in addition to attending college full time. Due to HIS scheduling conflicts, my daughter's sessions were far apart. I assumed (which I will NEVER do again) that Varsity Tutors would keep their promise to me, which was they manage the Tutors closely.

If they did in fact manage this specific tutor, they would have IMMEDIATELY seen the red flags. The reason I say "Immediately" is because when I called them to complain, they pulled up my daughter's file and told me they could see exactly why my daughter's score did not improve - "It's impossible for a student to retain all of the information when the sessions are scheduled so far apart". Hmmm, well who scheduled them this far apart?? Their tutor did! Not my daughter. And, of course, I assumed this was the process, as I have never used a tutor before - this was our first time. I honestly feel they should have refunded my money (almost $1,000) or assigned free sessions to work with another tutor, but neither was offered. Basically, there was no remediation. My daughter was so disappointed and it ended up impacting academically of course.

Have enrolled for English for my son. They [Varsity Tutors] find engineer to teach which makes no sense. Has one tutor who after first session never returned text to teach more and after 3 weeks says she is no longer with them. Now we have a tutor which is a good fit and have not fixed a time because some paper I have not signed. We have used 4 hours of our time and now you are doing finding such road blocks. I feel going to a local place who have teacher from the school in their free time teaching will be the best for my kids. So disappointed with the experience.

We started using your in-home tutoring services in 2015 for our daughter. We are incredibly happy with our tutor as well as the results our daughter has attained. We tell everyone we know about our experience and about how Varsity Tutors is the gold standard in academic tutoring!! Thank you!!!

Consumer Increased Rating!

After several calls and emails we finally spoke to someone who acknowledged our frustration with VT's poor customer service. We did received a refund for the unused balance in our account.

Sally of Northbrook, IL on

Original Review

We used VT a couple of years ago and they were fine. We received a call from one of their reps stating that we had a balance of hours to use and to call them if we needed. So, we did. It's been 2 weeks and we're still not connected with a tutor. They offered online tutoring which we did not want, so I called and asked for a manager. I was told I would hear back from someone that day, however it's been 2 days and I haven't heard from anyone. I'm guessing because we have some free hours left that we paid for, that we're at the bottom of the list. Each time we call, we get someone else who gives us the runaround. We are incredibly frustrated and disappointed, and at this point we have requested that our money be refunded. I would not recommend using them to anyone!

My son has always struggled with Algebra. He is a freshman in college now and away at school. He is taking a college algebra class now. He has used resources at the school but has still been struggling with his class. I reached out to Varsity Tutors and signed my son up for online tutoring. It has been great and is giving him the confidence boost he needs to get through the class. It is easy to set up appointments and they meet in the library based on my son's schedule. I highly recommend Varsity Tutors for online or in person tutoring if your child is struggling. It gives me peace knowing he is getting some extra help with a qualified tutor.

I have had a great experience with Varsity Tutors. I was in need of a math tutor for my son and they quickly placed me after hearing my son's needs to make sure we found the right fit. They constantly stay in touch to see how the process is going and make sure you are happy! I highly recommend Varsity Tutors!

This service is amazing. It's more than I expected at the beginning, then I can recommend to other friends. I think it's one of the best in merchant. Teachers are really good, good speaking, great content, all we need is there. If you don't understand you can ask and ask many times, that's great. Their platform is very easy to navigate. We were surprised the first time because I thought it would be more difficult, but I just need few moments. Well, preparation is one of the strongest points from this project. It is well prepared, everybody cares it and feel it. This project is growing up very fast.

Varsity Tutors were very helpful. They were very easy to use. The Tutor we had came to our home and was not only smart in the subject matter but also extremely personable. We achieved our goal, which was tackling the ACT test. I highly recommend this service.

My high school age son was having trouble in a couple of subjects so we turned to Varsity Tutor's for help and we could not be happier. This is the 2nd year we have utilized the service and it has made a real difference in his academic performance. We started with in-home tutors then quickly moved to the online format for the convenience. They have a vast array of qualified tutors to choose from. The new "on demand" product they offer is particularly helpful when he has a specific question on his nightly homework. They are a very professional company to deal with and I have recommended to many others.

This helped me a lot in my test preparation. It has plenty of practice questions for all sections of the test. You can use alone or with a partner/group. There are practice test sections as well to give you a feeling for what the test will be like. Well written by top-notch educators. The teachers who write and present the material have extensive experience in their fields. This is the best source of test information out there today. It was very easy for me to access all the materials needed to prepare for the GRE. It was easy to find the actual book material as well as all the material online. I highly recommend this. I used the book several times over several weeks. I did practice tests and questions by myself and with a friend. When I was confused on something, I read the advice and tips. It really helped me to succeed.

I think that the price was fair for what I got. A lot of prep books are overpriced these days and I didn't feel this way about this brand. I really felt like I was learning things with these prep courses. Also, things that I had problems with or questions about were cleared up for me. I was able to access all the material in various different ways. I could find them in store or online as well so I never had any trouble finding them. I would do the practice tests times as if I was really taking the test in real life and that helped prepare me a lot. I thought the practice tests were similar to the real one.

I learned to study better. I would recommend this course to my siblings and my friends. This was a great course. The teacher that taught me was very experienced. She knew what she was talking about and she helped me develop a better understanding of the things I was learning in school while also preparing me. The materials were very easy to access. I had my teacher do some extra tutoring. I stayed up all night in preparation for an exam over the length of a few months. We did review of all the material that was learned in class as well as extra work. We reviewed and preview each segment.

It helped the user through the basics of the GRE and what to expect; however, its in-depth analysis was lacking. I wish they would have further explain their answers. The teacher was helpful and insightful. But I just felt that something was missing from the curriculum to help me succeed on the GRE. I still scored fairly well, but I felt like I could have studied alone and been fine. The course was incredibly easy to access. The format was simple, yet effective. This was one of the few things this course got right in my opinion. Again, to reiterate, the course I feel did not prepare me as well as I would have hoped when I signed up.

Definitely helped me pass a test in an area I was struggling in. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without this assistance. I thank them sincerely. Teachers took their time with me, explained everything I needed help with and was extremely helpful even without needing help. Covered areas thoroughly. Very easy to access and navigate throughout. I didn't think at first it would have been so easy but I was quite surprised at how easy it was to navigate. If I hadn't prepared for this test I would have definitely failed it. I'm thankful I prepared in the manner that I did 'cause I wouldn't have been able to manage without the preparation.

I am happy with the Varsity tutoring. I enjoy the one-on-one experience and get good grades on my exams. I have a tutor in trig and it seems to help tremendously. The experience with the teacher is outstanding. No question is too dumb or too embarrassing. They give you their time and will go over the problem until you get it. The access is great. They work around your schedule and set up the days you want. The tutors will meet you on or off campus or even at a cafe. The preparation usually includes long days of studying hard. My tutor usually meets with me two days prior to the test. The day before, I will let them quiz me until I get it. Very helpful and friendly.

Varsity Tutors has made getting help for my son easy and convenient. He received a specialized tutor for help to achieve a higher score on the ASVAB exam. One of the best things is that any hours that was unused could be transferred to his brother who is currently receiving help to improve his ACT score! I am very pleased with the support and professionalism of this company. Thank you!

When I contacted Varsity Tutors, I was looking for someone who could help my daughter with middle school math concepts. She always gets good grades but she tends to need a little extra coaching and encouragement with new topics. She also needs math to be FUN and engaging. Once I contacted them, the Director reached out to me directly to understand what my child needed, how she learns, and a little about her personality. They quickly matched me with an AMAZING tutor, Nicole. Nicole is outstanding and my daughter doesn't dread her sessions because Nicole makes it fun to learn. I would highly recommend Varsity Tutors to any parent.

I own a dental practice in TN and one of my assistants wanted to learn Spanish dental terminology. She could speak Spanish, but did know Spanish dental vocabulary. She was connected with a native speaking Dentist in Florida who was amazing. They worked together a couple of times a week in Varsity's online environment which was great for her because she could work around her schedule. She really took the time to create a curriculum for her and tested her progression along the way. She suggested materials my assistant could use outside the sessions. Now, we can serve more patients in our area since she can communicate with the Spanish speaking community. I would recommend Varsity Tutors to anyone who needed academic help or to further their professional development!

I had excellent tutoring experience for my GRE preparation with the Varsity Tutors. I had a personal, one-on-one tutoring for the general GRE preparation. The tutor was knowledgeable and takes his time to explain the material that I did not understand. He also made the tutoring sessions engaging and therefore very beneficial. Scheduling for tutoring sessions was flexible - depending on my work schedule. During the sessions we discussed material, practiced essay writing and practiced questions in quantitative and verbal sections. The exercise for each day was determine by my knowledge level for a specific topic and what we both decided will be most useful for my learning process. At the end of each session, the tutor gave me assignments to work on before the following session. We discussed the assignments at the beginning of the sessions before we started on new material.

The tutoring help me to understand lots of study material that I would not have on my own. Although I have not yet written my GRE to determine my score, I would like to say that the tutoring made a huge difference in my GRE knowledge base and will definitely improve my scores from what I would have scored otherwise. It is important for me to mention that Varsity Tutors asked for a review of each tutoring session. They also call from time to time and inquire how the tutoring is going and whether there are any concerns that need to be addressed. The frequent checks by the organization to ensure that the tutoring is going well is very reassuring. Varsity Tutors' one-on-one tutoring is quite expensive, but if you get the tutor like the one I had, you would have not wasted money. I highly recommend Varsitytutors for GRE tutoring.

I started using Varsity Tutors to help prepare myself for the GRE. I was matched up with a perfect tutor, JJ, who I bonded with well. His teaching style fit my learning style completely. After a long summer of many tutoring sessions, I felt very prepared for my upcoming test and was very confident going in. I had a lot of support from JJ as well as encouragement. Without the tutoring sessions I definitely would have been a lot more nervous. I finished the test with a score I was glad to have and if I ever wanted to take it again I still feel prepared just from what I learned in my many tutoring sessions. I would recommend anyone to use this company for any type of test. They are fantastic!

Bait and Switch. This is a scam. They do not have tutors in your area. They tell you that and you have to pay upfront and then they just want to give you someone online. They told me they would have many people to choose from and that they had people with skills in working with students with LD. Trash. They don't. They lie to sell you. Going to be reporting them to the BBB and the Missouri attorney general's office.

My daughter needed a tutor to help her prep for the ACT exam. I used Varsity Tutors and was assigned an online tutor. I paid $1600 for 12 two hour sessions. The first few sessions went according to the schedule we set, then the tutor didn't show up for a session. Varsity Tutors quickly switched me to a new tutor and we started all over again. Once again sessions would be set up and then cancelled or moved for the convenience of the tutor. Several sessions were changed at the last minute or cancelled. The full amount hours of tutoring service contracted were not used because of the cancellations and rescheduling.

When I asked for a refund for the hours not used, I was told no by Varsity Tutors. They stated that we have gone beyond our 60 days from the time of purchase and no longer qualified for a refund. The only reason we didn't use all of the hours was because of cancelled sessions and switching tutors in the middle of the scheduled sessions. I believe the instructors use Varsity Tutors as a convenient way to make money on the side and when it's inconvenient for them, they cancel or reschedule, without regard for the student's best interest and needs. The only thing they are very good at is a "phone apology" for the sorry service. They get a lot of practice in this area.

Compare GRE Prep Course