4.4(1,017)

About Varsity Tutors

Varsity Tutors is an online learning platform that connects students and professionals to tutors in various subjects. With Varsity Tutors, you get access to instant tutoring services for education levels from kindergarten through college as well as for exams like those for CPA certification. Visit the company’s website to find out if its services fit your needs.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Instant tutoring available
  • Money-back guarantee
  • Free classes and resources
Cons
  • Adult group classes require pay
  • In-person tutoring not in all cities

Featured Reviews

Verified
Los Angeles, CA

All summer long I worried about what to present my children with that could keep them informed, educated, entertained and provide hands-on activities. When I discovered Varsity Tu...

Verified
Chester, CT

Our kids enjoy being able to take a variety of "elective" classes through the free live classes with Varsity Tutors. They find so many topics that they are interested in learning ...

What is Varsity Tutors?

Varsity Tutors is a flexible online learning solution for students of all ages in a wide range of subjects, including comprehensive K-12. It offers academic, test prep and certification tutoring as well as linguistic guidance in eight languages. Varsity’s instruction comes in a range of formats, and the school has tutors in hundreds of subjects. Students can sign up for a series, attend free large-group classes, self-study, attend homeschool online and more.

Subject experts lead the free online large-group courses, and tutors for live one-on-one private sessions are hand-picked. Some students might prefer Varsity’s smaller classes, which include more instructor interaction, collaboration and tailored lessons. Self-study is free and comes with a learning lab, adaptive assessments and personalized learning plans.

For parents searching for learning alternatives, Varsity Tutors’ School@Home program could be the answer. This is an online approach to live homeschool for K-12 students — the platform includes live instruction, scheduling, homework supervision and progress reports. It’s available in three formats:

• School@Home Supplement is for children in school who want supplemental learning materials or extra practice.
  • School@Home Classes provides access to School@Home live instruction without any additional resources.
  • School@Home Replacement acts as a full-time school program for students.

Varsity Tutors also offers a mobile app with live tutoring that allows students to learn on the go. Like the online version, the app features additional learning tools. It also offers instant tutoring, which connects you to a tutor within a few minutes for quick help.

How does Varsity Tutors work?

Students complete an adaptive assessment to identify their needs, strengths and weaknesses, then Varsity Tutors develops a learning plan based on the results, matching students with the best classes and experts for their needs. You can also browse by subject or collection (e.g., STEM Success, Afterschool Brain Builders and Creativity Club).

Varsity’s one-on-one tutoring services are fully customized and personalized. School@Home can supplement or replace in-person instruction, depending on the student's needs. School@Home families can also form learning pods to connect students for group activities and social time.

Varsity Tutors cost

Varsity Tutors offers an array of services at various prices. Its free offerings include large-group classes and self-study groups. Some of its advanced resources, such as the School@Home replacement program, cost between $400 and $1,300 per month, depending on your child’s age and needs. Prices for the School@Home supplemental program range from $500 to $600 per month.

If your K-12 child needs one-on-one tutoring, expect to pay $50 per hour. Varsity Tutors also offers tutoring for exam prep, such as CPA certification, which starts at $31 per hour. Smaller group classes start at $25 per hour.

Varsity Tutors FAQ

Does Varsity Tutors do SAT prep?

Varsity Tutors offers tutoring for SAT prep. It guarantees you’ll get a better score or you get your money back.

Where is Varsity Tutors based?

Varsity Tutors is an online platform with offices in several major cities throughout the U.S. The company has headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.

Does Varsity Tutors offer high school and university tutoring?

Varsity Tutors offers K-12 tutoring in all academic subjects. It also provides university-level tutoring in many subjects, including languages, math, science, business, tech, engineering and humanities.

Is Varsity Tutors a legit company?

With its many satisfaction guarantees, it’s clear Varsity Tutors prioritizes its customers’ educational improvement. Its educators are experienced and knowledgeable in their fields, and students can choose from hundreds of subjects in flexible formats. Though Varsity doesn’t provide free large-group classes for college and adult students, it offers numerous free and dependable learning resources for K-12 and other learners.

Stars Rating

• 80%
  • 5%
  • 1%
  • 0%
  • 13%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Reviewed Jan. 18, 2024

I have been very happy with the tutors my daughter has had so far. We’ve had two different ones since we started with Varsity. They are always very knowledgeable, helpful and engaging with my ASD/ADHD 11 year old child. The only thing I would add for them to pay closer attention to is the tech side of the video chats. We’ve had a few situations where we couldn’t connect or had to get tech services to get involved. In all instances, Varsity has accommodated us by not deducting hours for the missed sessions, which I appreciate and value. I just hope that they will iron this out better for the students and parents who make the time to be on time and then just wait, or have trouble getting connected. The sessions are valuable and it would make this service have 5 stars instead of 4! Please work on this to help these children who don’t have much attention span as it is. Thank you for providing service across the country at our availability.

Pinned

Hi Gena - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 6, 2024

We’ve had a great experience with Varsity. I was recommended to check them out by a friend (kindergarten teacher) who has used varsity for a couple years. From when I filled out an inquiry to when we got assigned a tutor was a breeze. Follow up by varsity was really great and not overly pushy. If this review was just for our tutor, Donna B, this would be a 10 star review. Donna is the perfect balance of someone who is encouraging, while also being strict enough to produce results.

I’m knocking off a star because for our first two billing cycles, we were overcharged an hour each time and the standard policy isn’t to issue a refund but instead to give you another hour to use. The first time, I called and I was advised to accept the hour but the second time, my husband called, he got the refund. I’m a pretty assertive person and my husband is actually the opposite but I think this may have been an instance of they just took him more seriously, which isn’t great, but hey, at least I got the refund. We’re still not entirely confident the billing situation is fixed and will have to pay attention to each billing cycle, but even with that inconvenience, Donna is too great to give up. My kid looks forward to tutoring, has been improving in school, and actually isn’t just memorizing the skills but learning the concepts.

Pinned

Hi Jaclyn - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Punctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed Dec. 7, 2023

My Son is Moderate Autistic with ADHD and was only reading 5-10 words in a 30 minute session (had to shorten the session length due to attention span). My Son started in September with Krystyna ** as his tutor and is now reading around 30 words a session with less errors and can even sit through the whole hour sometimes. He struggled with long words, so Krystyna started teaching him blending sounds to help him and it has worked wonderfully! He is definitely improving in school as a result. I wish schools would teach like her, then he wouldn't be so far behind.

I scheduled a temporary tutor for about 4-5 sessions more recently to make up for his tutor being absent, but those did not go as well, the tutor could only get him to read half the words. She struggled to keep his interest and couldn't always hear him saying the words and would get upset with him easily. The group sessions are awesome for the whole family. I have had 3 sessions where the tutor didn't show up, and a couple where the teacher didn't know how to work the system very well, but for free classes I have been happy with them. A little more training for the tutors of how to work the session would be beneficial rather than the teachers spending 15 minutes of teaching time trying to figure it out would be beneficial.

I have contacted customer support with issues with them not giving me a military discount and with scheduling/the platform and have always been helped right away/the issue was fixed quickly. I recommend if you have issues with a tutor/have too many missed sessions, request a temporary tutor or get a new one. Sometimes the tutor can do makeup sessions as well. You can also do the instant tutoring sessions, but those are only 15 minutes. Overall awesome program and I will keep paying for it for as long as I can afford it.

Pinned

Hi Melinda - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2023

We have been using Varsity about 9 months now. My daughter was in 8th grade when we started to finish out her 8th grade year. This was my daughter's first year in 2 years being in school. She had been home schooled since Covid. We started with Julian as our tutor and my daughter ended the school year with B’s & a C. I was ok with the C because I knew she had been out of school for 2 years. Now she’s in her first year of high school and we have Willis as a tutor and OMG!!! My daughter has all A’s and a B. Her Algebra teacher stopped me at church and said “Did your baby tell you she made a 100 on her nine weeks test”? I told her YES!!! I’m so proud of her! She juggles academics, cheerleading and basketball. Willis takes his time with her and really breaks the information down. I’m so happy we gave Varsity a try. This has been one stress free Momma. ❤️

Pinned

Hi Sandra - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2023

My oldest son started using Varsity Tutors in 2020 when Covid hit and they shut down the school his Kindergarten year. I didn't want him to fall behind as we had decided to go to virtual school for 1st and 2nd grade to avoid getting sick. We found a tutor who he absolutely adored through Varsity Tutors and continued with for 3 years.

My younger son also started using Varsity Tutors prior to entering Kindergarten and was able to read and write before starting Kindergarten. My kids not only found a tutor, but honestly, a lifelong friend for our entire family. I couldn't be more grateful for everything our tutors have taught my boys, pushed them to be better, and helped them get ahead in a very tough environment. I would recommend using Varsity Tutors to anyone - not just for the kids struggling in school, but for the ones that are not getting enough one on one attention in school or need to be pushed harder. I have had a very positive experience using the Varsity Tutors platform and have and will continue to recommend them to anyone I know.

Pinned

Hi Sara - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Reviewed July 16, 2024

Before Varsity Tutors I was genuinely afraid of math and felt it was the one subject I would never understand. Although my class was accelerated, within a month my tutor allowed me to understand the basis of calculus and could answer any question I asked and if they couldn’t, they would look into and get back to me in a message after the session. They will always try and help you succeed! Genuinely grateful I found this learning platform.

Pinned

Hi Alondra - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed July 16, 2024

We had excellent experience of finding the perfect tutors for my son! I have been looking for good math tutor since last year for my middle school son, we have tried couple tutors in other tutor location, but they were not the tutor which fits my son’s needs. I was about losing hope… Luckily this summer I tried again to look for tutor from Varsity Tutors, we finally got the perfect match with math tutor Han Chun **!, PhD in math and physics! We have been having his tutor session in a daily basis for the past month. Varsity customer service is amazing, it’s very easy to reach out customer support team by texting or calling them. I would strongly recommend varsity tutors to anyone who needs help academically!

Pinned

Hi Loni - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

StaffProcess

Reviewed July 11, 2024

Our experience with Varsity Tutors has been excellent. The tutors are wonderful with my son and seem to be very knowledgeable of the subject matter. The program is very responsive with any issues as well. We had an issue with a language barrier, the tutor was very nice, just difficult to understand. Varsity Tutors completely understood and replaced the tutor immediately. My son is very happy with the replacement.

Pinned

Hi Fred - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Reviewed July 10, 2024

My child absolutely loves Varsity Tutors! He has loved both of the tutors he worked with. I love the fact that you can ask them to include something, and they will add it to their curriculum. I was worried that my child will get left behind in school as he just recently tested out of special education while working with Varsity. I no longer have that fear and will try to continue with them as much as possible to keep him as a head of the game as I can. I cannot recommend them enough. They are a lifesaver and have helped ease all of my fears after having a special needs child.

Pinned

Hi Skye - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Reviewed July 9, 2024

I was very excited with Tutoring. It helps me so much to provide this for my grandson. I could not help him with his homework, thank God for Tutoring. It was the best thing and he enjoys it and looks forward to Tutoring. Thank you thank you so much thank you Miss Maria **. We really really appreciate her for all her work that she did to teach my grandson. Thank you, Miss Maria.

Pinned

Hi Hortencia - Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Varsity Tutors Company Information