Call toll free
4.48/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 40,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over three million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

284 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I am very grateful that I have had the opportunity to work with Varsity Tutors. Babatunde ** is one of the best tutors I have ever had. He is extremely intelligent, punctual, professional, and goes the extra mile to ensure that I am achieving my goals. He has been helping me study for the project management exam, but I know he tutors several other subject areas. If you have the opportunity to work with him, do it! He is phenomenal!

The staff at Varsity Tutors are professional, reliable, and willing to help whenever possible. When an unexpected issue arose with my tutoring sessions, Ashley **, my account manager, responded to me very quickly and patiently worked with me to resolve the issue. I was impressed with the level of customer service she provided. This level of customer service is hard to find. Thank you Varsity Tutors for providing me with such a wonderful experience!

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I had a lengthy telephone conversation with Dax weeks ago. He explained the program, discussed recommendations and the way forward for my child. We were excited and expected to receive follow up information on when to begin and then... Nothing. No followup at all. Perhaps may have been a good option, but unfortunately, we'll never know.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We could not be more thrilled with our Varsity Tutors experience. My daughter is getting excellent SAT instruction from her tutor, Gabrielle. Gabrielle makes it easy for her to understand Math problems that she struggles with and gives useful feedback on the practice tests. I cannot speak highly enough about how this business is run. They contact you regularly to make sure you are happy with the service and the tutor you've been assigned. And they are quick to respond to any questions. Thanks so much for a great experience!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We analyzed a few tutoring options and Varsity Tutors was the most flexible and reasonably priced. So, we went with them. Our tutor, Roy, was exceptional and their staff overall was equally exceptional. Initially, they paired us up with a tutor that seemed like he was not gonna be a fit because he said was a social media wizard and that's not what I need to be taught to my son, Travis. I need him to learn the material so was frustrated with that and I immediately called up Varsity Tutors. They rectified it and they gave us Roy. Roy has been perfect and I don't know what my son's score would have been with or without him, but I can tell that Travis' confidence level boosted meaningfully and he's be practicing for two hours every time he’d see Roy. The combined practice plus the hands-on tutoring ended up positively. All in all, the learning experience since obtaining a tutor from Varsity is great and I would recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I needed somebody that was gonna have college-level tutors for my son and went to Varsity Tutors. My son's tutor now, Jim, has been just phenomenal. Every instance after they have a tutoring session and they do it on the phone, he sends the notes immediately. There was a program that he and my son were working on for computer science last semester and he continued to look at it after him being done with the session. So I just feel as though he’s really on top of things and his way of explaining things is great. My son was doing very well in computer science anyway, but really wanted somebody to just reinforce things. And this guy’s way of teaching is very good.

Varsity Tutors is very good in following up. We had sort of a low, that we didn’t need a tutor for a while. They’re not overly aggressive, but they’re attentive. We had actually purchased a huge block of hours and didn’t need them. They were ready to expire, and then my son wanted to hone in on a couple computer science programs. So, they had let me pay for, sort of, another smaller block, and then gave me access to that other block of hours that would’ve normally expired. They’re very accommodating. I know they’re running a business, but they try to keep everything in line.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I started with Varsity Tutors about a year ago when my older son was struggling in reading, writing and just being able to express what he wanted to write on paper. I tried a couple other tutoring services, but it wasn’t quite as focused as I needed it to be and it wasn’t as individualized. I gave Varsity Tutors a try. The tutor that we got really got to know my child, understood how to drum out and have him think about ideas. And his grade in that class went from a B- to a B+ within a couple months. I continued the tutoring for him over the summer, and I started having my younger son do it in the summer too. Not because they needed it, but just to maintain and keep them in practice. My older son has actually not been doing much tutoring over the last two months. He hasn’t needed it and he is getting an A in English. And I think it has a lot to do with the skills that she taught him a year ago.

What I’ve done is instead of my older son doing the regular tutoring, I’m having my younger one do more regular tutoring. He’s in 6th grade, and he needs some additional help on conjunctions and grammar. She’s working with him so that he has more time working on those things and what he would be able to do in class or homework. But I also have the flexibility of saying, “My younger one doesn’t need much this week, instead help out the older one using this time slot. I want you to review his essay and work with him on formulating ideas.” And it’s been working really well.

I like that it’s one-on-one and it really focuses on the needs of the child. They really tried to understand what the child needs. It’s really a private tutor but the fact that it’s online, and there’s also the option of instant tutoring, is fabulous. Because if it was a real person in my house, I’d have to be there or if it’s a real person, I might have to take my kids somewhere. The kids also love the whole online interaction because they do so much on laptop computers and phones that it really aligns with how they do things today.

The staff at Varsity reaches out to me from time to time asking how things are going or if I need anything else. They’re good at reminding me when I’m running low on hours because that’s something I don’t always have time to check. If I also notice that one of my boys or the other one needs slightly different help depending on what’s going in their English class or if they need help with certain things about reading or even if it’s reviewing a draft of something they’ve written and offering them some suggestions, I just need to send a quick email. And they totally understand, they incorporate it right away into the next session or if they can, they’ll accommodate with a special session. So to me, the flexibility in what they’re covering and how I schedule and when I schedule, that is tremendous. I just had a really great experience with Varsity Tutors. They’re very responsive, they’re working with me, they’re working with the kids as individuals, and that to me speaks volumes.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Varsity Tutors has pretty high reviews and it was simple and easy for me to use. They were all really good about helping me get the service that I needed, as well as helping me out on price. It was a pretty good experience overall. I felt like they were really trying to help me. They gave me this overall better view of how statistics all work together. I got the big picture which helped a lot with most of my stuff. They brought me up from a D to a B, so it was very successful. I was just extremely satisfied. And if I need a tutor again, I’m gonna use Varsity.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I wanted to get some help quickly. I read through the website and Varsity Tutors looked like a very reasonable service, so I gave it a try. Their staff was efficient at getting us signed up and they were on the aggressive side to get us hooked in. The first tutor had a very strong accent and his English was hard for my children to understand. He also stepped above their limits, made them feel inferior, and I don't think being a good tutor means making your student feel bad. And then he said that his camera wasn't working and that was weird because my children were supposed to see their tutor. So, it was pretty bad.

The next one we had was a former elementary school teacher named Brittany and she was terrific. She couldn't have been better and she was able to pinpoint what my children needed help with. She was also able specifically help them with certain problems in evaluating the way their questions were phrased. Overall, Varsity's cost was fairly expensive, but it suited our needs just fine.

Varsity Tutors response

Rose, thank you for speaking with us regarding your experience with Varsity Tutors. While we are disappointed the first tutor was not the right fit, we are so glad your children got support with their second tutor, Brittany. This is the reason we stand behind our Tutor Guarantee. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can assist your family with additional support in the future.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

Varsity Tutors was the first tutoring option we had for my child who's eight years old. I chose them because I could do several different subjects without having to pay a separate amount. The other place I was looking for would only do one subject for the amount of money. My daughter has ADHD and she’s a bit anxious as well. She was having problems with reading and catching up because she didn’t have the proper medication when she started in school, so she fell behind. We got the tutor for that and her reading has become great. She comes home with other school work too and the tutor, Elizabeth, helps her with that but also helps her stay on task. She’s wonderful and so much more patient than I am, even as a mother. She redirects her and gives her proper breaks. Everything’s perfect. My daughter definitely got the confidence that she didn’t have before. I am happy with Varsity.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I was traveling a lot and I liked the online platform Varsity Tutors had. It was for test prep and everybody there was very communicative. The tutor that we worked with was extremely positive and approached feedback from a positive way. I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

My daughter Olivia has a great working relationship with her Honors Geometry tutor, Engin **. He has done an effective job assessing her abilities and identifying areas for her to address and improve with regard to her math experience. He understands her situation, brings creative ideas to their sessions and boosts her self confidence. I'm very pleased with our experience.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Varsity Tutors was the first tutoring we tried. It has been mostly for me but there had been two incidents where it was for my sister when she needed some statistics help for her masters. Their people were very organized and professional. They were on top of it and worked very quickly. I really liked how the representative I worked with got every little detail written down. They knew exactly what I need and the person that they paired me up matches well. Since using Varsity, I am less confused in class. Also, my stress level is significantly lower because I understand the material and I can get assignments done a lot faster.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My daughter has a slight learning disability and she has a tutor at Varsity. She is doing it online and it has been very great. Her tutor has been helping her go over the information again and process it all out. It is to kind of reinforce and if she has any questions, she can clarify them. The tutoring has been very beneficial for her as she wouldn’t have been able to understand the material if it wasn’t for the tutor.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

The Varsity Tutors platform is easy to use and to connect with a tutor for my daughter. We've been using them for close to two years now and it's like a Match.com but for students who need a little help and to connect them with college or graduate students that have an expertise in the subject. We started when my high school daughter needed help with Spanish. We've also used it for Algebra 2, Physics, Chemistry and Calculus. Every tutor that we've been paired with has had a knowledgeable base of the subject, showed up on time and stayed the whole time. And the Varsity Tutor employees touch base with me by phone every month or so to make sure things are going well.

I'm provided with a couple of ways to contact the tutor. I can message them using the Varsity Tutor app, which is easy to use when we need to schedule an appointment or communicate with them. They've also provided me with the tutor's cellphone number, and I've often texted with them and have never had someone not respond on the same day. Varsity Tutors is a great resource for connecting with local tutors that have good knowledge and are good at helping a younger student through the learning process. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We're making way more progress with Varsity Tutors than we were with our previous tutoring option. Before, we were just using a private tutor who was an acquaintance in our neighborhood, and I felt we had reached her extent of expertise and we needed additional help. So I started looking online and found Varsity Tutors. I investigated a little bit, and I got a phone call from them, and their price was reasonable compared to the other competitors.

Our tutor is Dorian and we see her twice a week. She does guided reading, comprehension questions and a lot of work with fluency with my son. My son has jumped about three reading levels since we started. He really likes Dorian, and she has figured out exactly the type of stories that he likes. He likes nonfiction, and every story she picks out, he is just captivated. So even though he doesn't want to do it at first, he is absolutely captivated by the stories. It's what makes it go by really fast. He's usually pretty tired at the end because it's a lot of work for him. But he has noticed a change too at school, and he is really proud of himself.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I've used the Wyzant app to find tutors, and have also done the free tutoring that my school offered. They were good for my in-person classes, but I have been taking some complicated upper-level Science classes online through UC Berkeley extension. And so, it's a lot more difficult to find a tutor for Genetics, Immunology and Biochemistry, especially in person. With Varsity Tutors, I like the convenience of doing the online and instant tutoring sessions. Their online platform or the instant tutoring that I can do with my tutor is extremely helpful. Also with online tutoring, it saves our videos. So, I can go back and rewatch our session, which is super helpful if I’m later doing something and need to go back and try to remember what was said or how we did something. That’s really convenient.

I've used two different tutors. In my Genetics class with my first tutor, it helped me significantly to better understand things that I was trying to self-teach myself. And then, with the tutor that I have used now, he helped me briefly. The Genetics tutor and I would do the online face-to-face platform and it was great. I would email him the worksheets or whatever I was working on that I have questions over so that he had a heads up. And then, we would get on there and he would use the drawing pool and walk me through it. That was a great way to get the point across. I also liked that because we could do a 15-minute increment. So, I didn't have to basically pay for an entire hour of tutoring if I just had two quick questions.

Varsity Tutors' customer service is exceptional. Anytime I call and have a question with my account manager, I'm always answered. If she's not available, someone else will always be available to help. So, I never have to wait around to try to get answers for anything. I also appreciate the fact that if I have not had a session in a while, they will call and follow up with me just to make sure that everything is going okay with my tutor or if I need to find someone else.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

My 12-year old son uses Varsity Tutor weekly to help his comprehension of historical information in his history class. I communicate with his tutor weekly to frontload classroom assignments and present needs. We have a great system that works well. The technology is a plus and hasn’t failed us.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

My son booked regular sessions with Kathy for both Chem I and Chem II. She was able to explain and work out problems for any concept for which he wanted extra help. She also was familiar with all the labs and helped him prepare for them ahead of time. Kathy could easily teach a college chemistry class. The standardized final exam included material not covered in class so she taught additional concepts to improve his overall score. My son greatly enjoyed his time with her and her tutoring was essential to his top grades in chemistry.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Daphne was a fantastic tutor. She was very knowledgeable on accounting and focused on wanting to teach concepts and introduce them first before just jumping into problems and learning that way. She made herself extremely available and was super helpful during finals and important tests to schedule sessions. In terms of material, she always knew the answers and explanations for each problem. Highly recommend.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I used Varsity Tutors to help me with anatomy and physiology. I worked with Samantha who was really helpful. She is the reason that I passed the course and did as well as I did. She explained everything to me in my own time. We worked through the computer, but she would draw out everything she was talking about and the processes of everything and help me to visualize it, which was very helpful. Depending on where you live, you might have to work with somebody through the computer. They’re definitely a very good service though.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My 9 year old daughter experienced severe bullying at her school, because of this, I was forced to homeschool. I am not an educator by trade and tried my best to get her focus off the surrounding elements and more on her studies as she experienced a drastic decline due to the bullying. I reached out to Varsity Tutoring for help. Paid their fees and developed a schedule. Around 24 hours later I received an email from the tutor whom had accepted the block, however he had rescheduled me for hours later. I declined the change and reached out to Varsity Tutors who informed me that I needed to contact the tutor directly. I contacted the tutor who advised me that he already had a client he had been working with previously and could not change their schedule to fit mine. He advised me to contact the 800 number. I did so again and was advised that they would provide me with a different tutor. I waited and nothing.

I began seeking other avenues at this point because time was pertinent for my daughter's educational progress. Christian (manager at VT) advised me not to cancel - that he would award me a free session, but to give him an extra day. I gave him two. I received no callback as to progress or anything. I called VT back and requested a refund in full. I was advised that because Christian was on vacation, I would have to call back because apparently he was the only one authorized to perform a refund. 6 days passed and FINALLY was able to reach Christian who was snotty, but did refund my money. I would not recommend this to anyone. Tutors are supposed to aid the families, not provide more stress.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you, Alicia, for taking the time to speak with our Customer Experience team. We apologize your tutor did not meet your expectations. We take client feedback seriously and work hard to address concerns. Varsity works with many other exemplary tutors, and we are confident we can support your daughter in the future should she need additional support. We invite you to reach out to our Customer Experience team directly if there is anything we can do in the future to assist her. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Hi Alicia, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

My experience with Varsity Tutors has been good. I just started my MBA program and it was convenient over the internet to meet virtually and using new technology. I studied computers, and Varsity Tutors has helped me with the content, as well as through several classes and passing exams. I'm using them this semester as well. They could improve in getting specialized tutors. For my program, I take a lot of specialized classes, and I feel like a lot of the tutors aren’t qualified to teach those classes. Nevertheless, making a good relationship with the tutor, setting up appointments and being proactive about it, and finding the resources that students wanna cover in the appointments ahead of time are the keys to being successful with Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Hi. Whilst we are happy with your office and people we chat to, not to say, our wonderful tutors, your dashboard is not good. Every time we have a session something goes wrong. Sometimes I call but mostly we go to FaceTime. We had a session yesterday where the tutors video went blank for 10 mins. Then came back and I thought why were doing maintenance? We lose previous time if we had to call why. The rest is good. Thanks.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Anthea, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I live in Arizona and I needed a tutor for the first month of the scholar year and for the summer for my oldest because she was having problems with the reading and writing. A tutor I used two years ago on a different city looked online and showed me Varsity Tutor's website. One of my kids is in first grade and the other one is in Pre-K. I told my eldest to focus more on the reading and writing, so that’s what they do and also first-grade subjects for the first month including Math. Then, for the little one, it was just the basic stuff from Pre-K like the ABC. He improved a lot because he knows the whole ABC and he didn’t use to know all the letters, so the tutor helped me a lot with that. And he started with all the phonics and the numbers and all the basic Pre-K things that they learn. When they transitioned to this school because the school already began, they weren’t too behind of the other kids, so it was good. I definitely recommend Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

This is the worst tutorial service ever. I believe it is a scam and no one should be subject to such fraud. They charge over $60.00 per hour and they promised me that they will send my teenager an in person tutor. The tutor was not up to task at all. Each day he had to reschedule to a different hour and was not even a Literature tutor. When we requested a change, they could not come up with anyone. Short: We paid about $2300.00 and received 5-6 hours of tutoring. They stopped contacting us and charged my credit card again.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

My experience with Varsity Tutors has been really great. It has been about 10 months since I started, and my tutor has been a very motivating personnel. He's been of great help to my improvement and learning Spanish. Varsity Tutors was one of my first options that I found regarding the subject. They accommodated me very well, and they had a very organized and good system going on. They put in the effort to get me my tutor, and the great thing about that is we have so many similarities as far as our learning abilities. Our learning styles are pretty much very similar. So that helped us bring out the best of our courses,and the way that he teaches. So it's just been very efficient. I would highly recommend my family or friends to try Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I had a tutor from Wyzant and Varsity Tutors was much better. It was very specific to my needs. It really gave me more concrete things that I needed to work on so that was really nice. My tutor, Alex, was really great. He gauged where I was at by us going through some practice tests. And then he would give me homework assignments and we would go over them during our lessons. He gave me practice problems that would be focused on what I struggled with a lot, which was really helpful.

He was also always really available to talk and help me out. He even helped me with some personal statement stuff that I sent to him. I asked him for help on that for grad school and he was wonderful. My manager, Amy, was one of the most amazing people I’ve ever worked with. My first tutor wasn’t suited to me and Amy went out of her way. She kept checking in and calling. She was so wonderful and a person that I would wanna keep around in my life. We became pretty close. I love Amy. So overall, I’m very happy with Varsity Tutors.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

After studying with his English tutor after only 6 weeks. They met 1 x per week. After studying with his Science Tutor his ACT went from 27 to 30 in just 5 weeks! The staff is easy to work with, and our case manager really kept an eye on us. Once I got over my initial fear of using an online format I realized the benefit of being able to connect even while we traveled! Thank you tutors, and thank you staff!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I had other tutors that I had looked at in the area. I know Huntington, a big tutoring place around here but what engaged me to join Varsity Tutors is the flexibility with the school schedule, and I didn’t have to leave. With everything being online now for most of my classes, I felt like it was a better option all in all to splurge the money on them. The pricing was very good. For the tools that they offer and the convenience of it all it was really worth the money. The first tutor that I was paired with was great. It was the second week of the semester that I looked into them since I’ve been looking at other options. And since we were in the second week of the semester, he kind of did work on like a slower pace. But I was doing a chapter a day with these classes and I really needed to work at more of a fast pace.

Eventually I had to be reassigned to a different tutor, Lois, who was a great fit because Varsity Tutors informed them that I needed to work at a faster pace. She made me feel very individualized, like she didn’t have another life outside of me. But I know she had another job, and she was taking some classes. She really knew her stuff. Any question I asked her, she was on it. She knew exactly what I was talking about. When I started this semester, I wasn’t failing, but I was under passing, like I was at that D mark. She got me all the way up to a B by the end of the semester. So I was really happy with that. The only issue I had was at the beginning when my uncle was trying to make a payment for me and he had a little bit of trouble doing that. But overall they have been very good if I had any issues.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Varsity Tutors was referred by our neighbors and my son’s friend, and I was very impressed with the account management. When I expressed interest, someone contacted me right away and they walked me through the process. I think the online approach makes it easy for everyone, and with that online approach, timing can be very flexible. I also thought that the rates are affordable for what you get.

My high-school son took training with Varsity Tutors in preparation for taking the SATs, and it was him who mostly interacted with the tutor. Through feedback from my son, I thought Varsity Tutors did a good job of understanding what his gaps were and focusing on those gaps, walking through practice exams and then eventually preparing him to take the test. His scores went up by about 100 points in the period that he planned this. It was kind of a last-ditch effort to see what we could do to bring the scores up a bit, and it worked. I would suggest that my friends give Varsity Tutors a try.

Varsity Tutors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

• Best for: Those looking for highly educated tutors, that can stay involved in academic achievements long after the GRE is finished.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs