2. Education
Accredited Partner

Call Now Toll Free
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.85/5

Varsity Tutors is a Live Learning Platform that connects students and professionals to experts in any subject, anywhere, at any time. Over four million hours of live instruction have taken place on the platform in 1,000+ subjects.

Varsity Tutors Call Now Toll Free (888) 870-9414 Learn More
Call Now Toll Free

Varsity Tutors Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

We contacted Varsity Tutors to get assistance with preparing our 8th grade son for the High School Placement Test. Varsity recommended twelve sessions. But we were in a time-crunch and only had time to do six sessions - at two hours each. We have used tutors before but always in-person. Varsity recommended virtual sessions as they could more easily place us with the right resource for the HSPT. We were a bit unsure as to the effectiveness of online sessions.

Varsity placed us with Natasha. She had deep experience in HSPT preparation. And it turned out to be a great experience. She was able to quickly identify areas of weakness and address them. Probably the most significant and important aspect was her style and ability to connect with our 14 year old son. She had a very positive-feedback style, even and especially, when correcting a wrong answer. She left helpful notes after each session. Sessions are available online to re-watch. And as a parent, I even learned a few tips and tricks in how to better interact with my kids around school/homework.

The final session before the exam she provided specific, targeted test-taking strategies (i.e. our son always got the correct answer on a certain type of question – if he reviewed it twice). It was a very tailored experience. We’re still awaiting the results but definitely feel like we did “all that could be done” to prepare for the exam. We were very pleased with with Natasha and would specifically request her again in the future.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I would strongly recommend Varsity Tutors to anyone interested in seeking help with the GRE. Prior to taking the prep course I was extremely unprepared for the GRE. Now, after taking the course, I can honestly say that I am well prepared for the exam and feel confident in my ability to perform well. One of my favorite things about Varsity Tutors is that they truly care about each and every one of their students, and it shows from the second you decide to enroll. I received a call where I was asked about my preferred learning style and personality type so that my instructor would know more about me and how to best help me learn.

When it came time for the actual class, my instructor made it feel personal despite the fact that we were across the country from one another. He would always ask us questions about where we were from and what our future goals were. I loved the fact that we were able to form relationships even though none of us were in the same state.

My instructor's name was Stephen **. I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of a tutor for the GRE. He is very kind, respectful, and fun. One of my favorite things about him is that he is simply good at teaching. He is very intelligent explains concepts very clearly and thoroughly. He always welcomes questions and finds new ways to explain certain things if students doesn't understand. If I were to take more classes, I would absolutely request to have Stephen ** again. Overall, my experience with Varsity Tutors was great. I got more out of my class than I ever thought I would and I feel prepared to do well on the GRE.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Computer programming/Javascript. As a Varsity Tutors client, I'd like to express my gratitude for the services I was able to receive during last 10 months. First of all, VT did a great job finding the right match for my needs based on a feedback I provided. I started having zero experience with writing code and my initial expectations were low, but my tutor, Kaighen, quickly opened my eyes on the world of possibilities that comes with programming. Working with Kaighen was fun. He explained the concepts well. He had a good understanding of when to step in to assist and when it was time to push me to find solutions on my own. He listened to my feedback and did great helping me implement my ideas when writing the code. No matter what challenge or obstacle I encountered he always found a solution/workaround to deliver the desired final result, making sure I understood it at the same time.

Additionally, Kaighen was very reliable and very responsive in his communication which meant scheduling sessions and coming up with plans of action was a breeze. The results I achieved by working with VT and Kaighen far surpassed my initial expectations. What was supposed to be a childish game project in my mind, grew into a professional grade, realistic Air Traffic Control Radar Simulation (my passion). It was a great journey transitioning from having no coding experience to now being able to write and to modify the code according to my future needs. I would highly recommend tutor Kaighen to anyone looking to accomplish a specific programming related goal or a life-long dream. Thank you Kaighen and Varsity Tutors for helping me realize one of mine.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I'm a student's mom. Jacob struggled so badly in calc 2 we thought there was no hope. Other tutor sessions at the university, meeting with professors, constant review and studying were no help. Homework, assignments were ok. Quizzes fair but when it came to exams the wheels fell off. Same thing happened the 2nd time around. He and I would discuss where he thinks it is going wrong but didn't know how to correct it. Half way thru the 2nd time taking the class, with only one exam left, I went ahead and signed him up for Varsity Tutors.

Jake was so blessed to have Charles as his tutor and together they pinpointed Jake's issues. The convenience of face to face over the computer with realtime white board interaction was the perfect way for my son to learn. After each session Jake was excited to share with me the "ah-ha" moments he had and how awsome Charles was as a teacher. This program is well worth the cost. Jake is a firm believer in varsity tutors and now that he passed calc 2 and is on to calc 3....I will buy enough sessions to get him thru the whole semester and avoid Jake getting in a bind at the start of the class. I hope Charles teaches calc 3 because I know my son wants to request him! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Original review: July 30, 2019

My son started his tutoring via Skype. We began this way because my son enjoys the computer and we thought he would succeed in this manner. The tutor, Frances, really seemed to know what she was talking about but I do believe my son got distracted. My son took the ACT test and his score didn't change. We, then, moved to in home sessions and that worked much better for my son. We loved Catherine and my son's score went up 4 points. Catherine offered great pointers and suggestions on how to answer the questions and look at the questions differently to get the answer. My son responded well to her teaching style and did much better with the face to face contact. I also loved that he was given homework and that was reviewed at the next session.

I have another son who worked with Jessica a couple of years ago. We started with the face to face sessions right off the bat -- we knew face to face would be they way for him to succeed. Again, we were so pleased with her style of teaching and re-enforcing test taking skills. I have another child that will need to start tutoring sessions for her ACT test -- soon. You bet -- I will be contacting Varsity Tutors for their assistance with my daughter. They have done a great job with my boys and matching a great tutor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: June 29, 2020

Hello, I just wanted to say Thank You for helping me. I had to take a new approach to this class, so I decided to try a tutor. My tutor's name was Megan **. She was very helpful. She went over probably 100 practice questions with me. Thank you for setting me up with a tutor who was willing to do that. I took my midterm the following week, and I scored a lot better than my previous test.

Original review: June 25, 2020

I have only had two sessions with my tutor (Samantha **) as of now. She is helping me review some chemistry concepts before taking a placement test for college, and will be helping me throughout my first quarter of College Chemistry. She is very patient and helpful and explains things in a way that is easy to understand and remember. I have had a great experience with her so far!

Original review: June 24, 2020

My daughter struggled with Org chem. So for Org Chem 2 we decided to try Varsity Tutors. We read the reviews and most said grades improve one or two letter grades. We wanted a a tutor in person. There was only only one tutor and the training would be online. Well it was an amazing experience for me as a parent. Each test grade improved and she ended with a B+ in the class. Brian Jacobs was a great tutor. He was able to teach her concepts that were cumulative helping her on all the tests. They used the white board and she actually liked that method. Brian was awesome!

Original review: June 24, 2020

Tutor for SAT prep was Matthew H. He always came prepared with practice problems. Matthew would also explain the reasoning behind answers instead of just moving on once problems had been completed. He was also very knowledgeable on all subjects required for the SAT and was still comfortable and clear in his instructions when topics switched abruptly. Essay writing tutor was Elke **. She not only coached me when writing my essays, but also instilled in me many writing tips that I still use today. My pre-calculus tutor was Glenn **. He helped me not only complete my Pre-Calculus homework on time, but helped me retain information I had learned in class through repeated practice. My Physics tutor Rebecca was very efficient when helping me through my Physics homework. We would often get through lots of material very quickly without sacrificing my understanding of the topics for speed.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I signed my daughter up for ACT group class. It was a waste of time and money. The teacher never showed her voice both times and told the kids to exchange phone numbers so they could text, which is what they then did all class. I called Varsity Tutors and luckily dealt with Simone who handled things very nicely and calmed me down. I was very frustrated and disappointed. She gave me a credit and I decided to go with a private tutor and ended up purchasing a bundle. Simone has followed up to see if I was, indeed, happy and I am. If not for Simone I would have shared my huge disappointment on social media. I still think you should not have an “invisible” teacher teaching. My own situation, however, has been remediate and I think Simone should be recognized for her professionalism when dealing with the situation. I was extremely upset by the waste of money and our time. Thank you.

Varsity Tutors author review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team