Call toll free
4.51/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Varsity Tutors is an award-winning tutoring platform that connects students with more than 40,000 expert tutors to accomplish academic and test prep goals. Over three million hours of live tutoring has taken place on the platform.

212 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My daughter worked with a tutor for a month or so, and one of their meeting dates, he did not show up. we called the company, and they switched her tutor, however, on her second session with the new tutor, he did not show up either. I called the company to complain; I was very upset and this was the second time that my daughter was stood up by one of the tutors.

The person with who I spoke on the phone told me that I should try reaching out to the tutor, this upset me further; my daughter had stayed in the chatroom for 30 mins waiting for the tutor, and they still expected me to contact the tutor when it is their company? They have not contacted me since that day, nor have they offered another tutor for my daughter, and the tutor that my daughter was working with has not contacted her apologizing or asking about another meeting. I am very upset and I did not expect this type of unprofessionalism. I called the company asking for a refund for the 12 hours that my daughter has remaining and I was told to leave a voicemail, and I have yet to hear back from the company. All they care about is money, do not expect any of your issues to be solved by the company. Look for another tutoring service if you expect professionalism.

Varsity Tutors response

Grace, We are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience with our company. Your review suggests that you did not receive our best efforts, and we take that seriously. A member of our Customer Experience team will review your account and be in contact with you. We appreciate your feedback.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I looked around at some different vendors but did not do any real use of offerings other than what the school offered like internal tours. Varsity Tutors had really good practices of figuring out the student and then adopting a learning program for that particular student. It was very specific to have that person run. Their tutor would review my daughter's student needs, go over the courses that my daughter needed help with, then basically getting back with them over what the program might look like in terms if they have online materials coupled with a real person they can interact with.

We’ve done the online option where she dealt with tutors online then we’ve done in person option where the tutors come to our home and work with her. It really helped improve her skills and also improved her ability to believe that she could get the work done ‘cause they told her new ways to think about problems and her work so we got a markedly increase in her performance academically. When there were questions, she could go and send it online via the portal. It would get responded to along with suggestions. They were very hands-on whether it was physically instructing her or through the online portal.

My daughter is shy in classes, but Varsity Tutors was able to develop a good relationship both online and in person. She would come prepared for learning and they would become prepared to instruct and so that worked out pretty well. My daughter got an A in math, so it was worth the investment. People should definitely consider Varsity Tutors as a learning option for their child.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My daughters were taking piano lessons at a teacher's house, and last fall my wife was diagnosed with cancer and had to undergo chemotherapy. Since she was the one who would drive them to their lessons, I wanted to find a teacher who would come to the house to provide lessons and found Varsity Tutors. They said they would be able to fulfill this request and find a teacher, so I paid $500 for lessons. A week goes by, and they couldn't find anyone. Another week goes by, still unsuccessful. Another two weeks go by. They offered video, virtual lessons.

Having had piano lessons myself, I know this is not the ideal way to learn to play the piano. One needs to have a teacher sitting next to you. Here we are a year later, my kids are no longer interested in the piano and Varsity Tutors still were unable to provide me what I wanted. When asked for a refund, they said that the refund window was 30 days and we are beyond that window. They said they have other tutoring services that I could use, but all I wanted was the piano lessons. There was no follow up as the 30 day window approached with an apology or offer for refund since they were unable to provide what I wanted.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Varsity Tutors has been really helpful and they're responsive. They follow up too. They have tutors that can come to our home. They got to us when it was a critical time. We needed them right away, and they identified Toby and made the introduction quickly. All of my interactions with them had been really good. We had Toby all last year and we’re set up for a session this school year. My son needed him for Physics last year and a little bit for Math this year. He's awesome and he had been really helpful to my son. He had given him practical information, explained the concepts in a way that my son could understand it, and had shown him how it was applicable in real life. My son's grade went up significantly in Physics. He went from a D to B.

It was a really good option. They also have online services, so a tutor can work with your child online. I was really skeptical about it, but the ones that my son had with the tutor online was really positive. It was cool that they could work on problems together, because there was a virtual board, and then they could share documents. So that was a really great interface.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I am new in the country. English is not my first language. So, I struggled with English ACT test. I had 19 in Reading, after the tutoring sections I went up to 24. My previous composite was 23 now is 25. I highly recommend Varsity Tutors. Sarah ** my tutor, is a very qualified tutor. I highly recommend her.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Though I had trouble with initially finding a tutor who felt comfortable teaching the material I needed to learn, Varsity Tutors' concierge team was wonderful in finding me a qualified tutor quickly. Sometimes the turn-around time was within a few hours. It's a huge relief to know that you have a concierge team looking out for you, especially when you have your classes and other parts of student life to deal with!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Varsity Tutors has really good reviews. On their website, it’s showing that very qualified people are their tutors. So it seemed like a good option for my LSAT. Michael was my tutor and we would email or chat to figure out the time we wanted to meet, then we would meet for two hours. We met five times over about two weeks. He identified some of the weaknesses I had, gave me practice problems, and helped me through how I should be thinking about certain things. He also gave me some tricks that I didn’t know about that helped.

I already took my LSAT and it actually didn’t go that well. When I was practicing before Michael, I was around 155-ish. With Michael, I started scoring around 158-ish. And then my LSAT, I got a 162. But I think it was first-timer jitters and little differences. Also, there’s an experimental section on the LSAT. I thought one section was the experimental section, but it wasn’t. So, all those just tripped me up. But I’m planning to take it again. But the experience I got was honestly invaluable and it was very helpful for me, in general. The process was, honestly, very smooth, and I had no trouble with Varsity Tutors at all. If you need tutoring, that’s a very good place to go. It is pricier, but it’s a really good service.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

The tutoring was great but the charges for missed appointments or not cancelling 24hrs in advance are ridiculous. No phone call, text or email reminding of the session. That's how they make extra money. If something happens like a car accident or you suddenly get sick too bad... it's going to cost you. This is like a bank charging overdraft fees. No mercy. Shameful. I hope this makes someone aware of the downside of this company. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

We decided to try Varsity Tutors because of the reviews I found on the internet. They're professional and patient. They were able to help us very well and I've seen improvement in the test. There has been an increased confidence with schoolwork too. Varsity Tutors is good.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

When I used a different tutoring option close to my house, I also did Varsity Tutors at the same time to compare the service. I like Varsity more and decided to stay with them. They are convenient. Tim was so helpful and he moved to get what we needed in time. I have a couple of tutors teaching different kinds of subjects. There were good ones, and there were weird ones, but they helped my kid, Matthew. There was one guy that was teaching him world science and it had to do with history. He was weird but he helped Matthew somehow.

When I called Varsity Tutor, it was one day before his test. The Spanish tutor that I asked via the internet, because we didn't have time to schedule an appointment, was also very helpful. She went through the points, asked Matthew to write an essay and give it to her. She corrected the essay, and he saw his mistakes. That was what could be done at the time, and she did very well on that. Matthew is a very smart kid. When he had problems, it was because he missed one class and he could not follow up with the rest. The tutors would put him updated to the point where the class was, and he could catch up. I'm very satisfied with Varsity Tutors, and every time that I need a tutor, I will look for them. I'm a loyal client and I will totally recommend them. It's very useful and it is a good company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Varsity Tutors had good reviews and they were able to fit our schedules really easily, so I went with them. We had two different tutors there and both were fantastic. They came to the house to work with my daughter. We did one for SATs and we used them for math. They really worked with her on keeping calm, really looking at the different problems, and seeing exactly what the question is instead of being overwhelmed by the question. Also, a rep from their corporate office followed up every week to see how everything was going, if there were any problems, if everything was fine, and if I needed anything from them. It was really good. I would tell others to take a look at Varsity Tutors and go with them because they're really easy to work with.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Varsity Tutors was the first one that came up in my search and I called them on a Saturday. They picked up the phone so I got signed up immediately and it was very straightforward. My children had a couple of different tutor activities. My 21-year-old had French, which was in person to help him get through level 3 French, and then my two younger kids are doing German online as well and one of the kids is doing Reading in person, and they’ve been able to accommodate it all. Initially, I wanted a German tutor that could come to the house, but we haven’t been able to identify anybody in the area and so Varsity Tutors convinced me to try online. I don’t have high hopes for that ‘cause the kids are young but then a year later, we’re still doing it.

The tutor helps my child boost his confidence in reading. That particular child really likes the one-on-one interaction, and somebody dedicated to sit for two hours a week for reading is a big chunk of time for a 10-year-old. The 21-year-old passed French with flying colors. On the German-French, I grew up with a couple languages and tri-lingual and I think that’s a super important skill so I’m passing it on to my children whose goal is for them to continue to have fun with languages and realize that it’s a huge asset. It’s not necessarily about the grades. It was with French as we had to get through it. The same with the reading as the younger one has to improve, which he has.

But most importantly for me, it’s giving the kids additional confidence that they can get things done when they put their minds to it. It’s been a very good experience, great tutors over time, and a very convenient program. I have recommended them. If you're looking for a tutor for your children, give Varsity Tutors a chance, give them a call.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

ACT Prep - So it wasn't bad but definitely not perfect. The first tutor I had was phenomenal. She was perfect and I felt the most engaged and productive with her. She increased my score by 1 so outside sources believed I should move tutors. Every other tutors were always distracted and I seemed more like a chore to them. Also the program to find one on the go never worked and when it worked the guy left on me because his connection was bad. I won't say the website was bad, I probably just had bad luck but it was a very bad time.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Seth, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

The tutor was awesome. It was an online setup and she was always accessible. Also, she could do the tutoring session early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Moreover, the screen was split that she could pull up my assignment and I could still see what she was doing. That just made it perfect. I was with her for six weeks and I got an A in the subject.

It was really cool that I was given her cell phone number so if I needed to change appointments, I can just immediately text her and tell her if we can push the schedule back an hour. And she would say we could. She was smart as hell, too, 'cause she was so knowledgeable, not only about the subject that she was teaching me, but just about how colleges work and in general. It made it easy to work with her and I would give her cell phone number to other people.

Resolution response: Oct. 1, 2018

Varsity assisted me on resolving the issue- Debra was sweet and very helpful.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

When I had my initial call with Varsity, I told them I needed an in-home tutor, Monday through Thursday between the hours of 3:30-5:30 (every week). The salesperson assured me it would be no problem at all to place the tutor. He informed me that the contract is a 12-month commitment and I will be billed $1700 up front, then $1700 in six months. They were able to place the first tutor and she worked out great last year. This summer she informed me she was no longer going to tutor. I reached out to Varsity about two weeks before school started to let them know we needed to start a new search.

Here’s what’s happened since then: Search was published for 7-10 days and they placed a girl. Scheduled my first session with her and she informed me she’s moving back home and can only do online tutoring. My son is not at the age for online tutoring and he needs one on one attention so that wasn’t going to work. I informed Varsity what happened and they said they’d re-list the job. 2 weeks go by with no response or update. I call Varsity again and ask them what’s going on. They made some “adjustments” and said they’d continue the search.

Another week goes by and finally we get paired with Alex. She can only work 1 day a week. I take it because I’m in need of help and one day is better than none. I am now three at least weeks into the school year. I call again and they said they removed my posting because they placed the tutor. I explain that Alex was only placed for Wednesdays. “Ohhhh, ok we will go ahead and place your job again”.

Another week goes by with no word from Varsity. Then I get an email on August 29 from Varsity. I respond to the email telling them I never agreed to online tutoring and to please refund my money if they can’t place the tutor as contract. Zero response. I call a few days later and ask to speak to a manager. I tell her everything that’s happened. She was apologetic and assured me should would look into my case and figure out what is happening. She said there’s 60+ tutors available in my zip code so it makes no sense why the tutor can’t be placed. She said she’d call me back ASAP.

5 days go by with no callback! I call in again and ask to speak to another manager. Get connected with Virginia. At this point in time I’m 6 weeks into the school year with no tutor and Varsity holding over 59 hours credit in my account and blowing me off. Virginia goes over my case and is open to giving me a refund. She says she’ll call me back after she looks into my history. Another week goes by with no call from Virginia! I call her and leave a message. Days go by and she calls me back, telling me she wants to schedule a call on Monday, September 24. I call her back and leave a message confirming Monday is great. Monday comes with no call from Virginia. I call her Tuesday and leave a message. Still no return call. I call her today and leave another message. No response.

DO NOT spend your money with this company! They over promise and under deliver. I am so extremely disappointed and I can’t believe their refusal to refund my money. They could not place my tutor - plain and simple - so I asked for my money back so I can use it to pay another tutor. I think that’s more than fair! Now we are trying to work with our bank to get our money refunded since no one will rectify the issue.

Varsity Tutors response

Tracy, We are disappointed that you did not have a positive experience with our company. Your review suggests that you did not receive our best efforts, and we take that seriously. A member of our Customer Experience team will review your account and be in contact with you. We appreciate your feedback.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I called Varsity Tutors and asked a lot of questions. Their concept made a lot of sense so I took the leap and went ahead with them. I have had interactions with my son's tutor by email. Her name was Anna and she always gave really good, detailed notes. My son’s a senior in high school and he takes school seriously, so Anna gave me reports on what things he did well in and the things he needs to improve in. She really taught him to understand how the ACT test is mapped out, how to study for it, and how to pace himself better on those tests. It made him a better test taker overall. My son said it was a great experience, and he’s a very opinionated kid. If he doesn’t like something, he’s gonna tell, but he had nothing but praise for Anna.

Before my son got with Varsity Tutors, his overall test score was 27. In order for him to get some potential scholarship opportunities, we wanna at least get 30. His weaknesses were English and Reading, so he did the tutoring with Anna for those two subjects. With the last test he took, he got a 32 in English and then a 31 in Reading. His overall score went from 27 to 30. I was thrilled with that and my son was very happy to get to that point, too. Varsity Tutors was definitely great for the ACT test.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

She was amazing with my daughter! I am super pleased with the results that we have had with her. Our daughter went from reading and speaking at a 4 year old level (at the age of 7) to reading beyond a first grade level which she is currently in!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I'm a single mom who works full-time. I needed to be tutored. Varsity Tutors reached out to me quicker than its competitors and had things in place. They made the liaison seamless and they sent me reminders to go in there and do what I needed to do to get started and select a tutor. When it came to choosing Danielle, it was a no-brainer. Her resume is not ridiculous, so it was wonderful. It was a six-week accelerated advanced Calculus course in the summer. It was six weeks of hell where I got a whole semester of Calculus being crammed in. Then, towards the end at about week four or five, I learned that I was gonna have a major surgery and I had to get the course done.

I was down and had a really intense recovery. I tried to learn the material and get my body to cooperate enough with me, so I can go in and take my exam. Danielle was really flexible in trying to help accommodate me, wait for me, and deal with me with regard to that because there were some times I couldn’t even sit and do the tutoring. There were times I had to stand the whole time and we would be tutoring for two or three-hour sessions. Sitting wasn't an option and that was uncomfortable. She would be really patient if I needed to take a five-minute break and we would come back.

I also handled the finances at my church, which was a big deal, so sometimes, we would tutor for an hour on Sundays, then I would have to take care of business and she would tutor again. We were doing two a day and she would do groundwork, research the class, and dig in and see what was coming. She would be telling me, “Well, this is coming up. So, we need to focus on this.” It was more than just tutoring the actual material because she was really teaching me the material. She was taking the course for me, too, when it got harder because she would figure out what was next.

My personal life was getting in the way, so there were some things that I had to neglect. There was some homework I can't focus on and we were trying to nail with it, and that’s what we did and I got an A. We would calculate, “Well, what do we need to do to do this?” “Yes, this homework is not getting done. We're gonna do the work to learn them.” I took time in hours in having to go through it and we focused on that and drove the study guide so I can do well in the test, and I really did.

It was an incredible experience. It was very expensive, but it was very worth it. Danielle was incredible and I couldn’t imagine how she could be any better. I passed Calculus. I would tell my friends and family to get their credit card and worry about it later. I didn’t just pass, I actually got an A. My professor was highly impressed with me. In sum, I was able to be prepared because Varsity was there. I was able to accomplish the work because I had them to back me up.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Last year, I enrolled my oldest daughter, Sophia (13) with Varsity Tutors in order to get help with French and 7th grade Math. Sophia worked with Alexandra ** on French and with Rahul ** on math to include: pre-algebra, algebra, geometry, etc. Sophia absolutely loved working with both of them. She looked forward to her sessions and actually would come home asking me, “ Mom, when am I working with Rahul again?” or “When is my next French session?” When Sophia needed help or had a test she would ask, “Mom, please call Alexandra or (Rahul)… I need help fast!” I mean, when does a kid really look forward to doing algebra? When does a child genuinely laugh, smile and enjoy learning these tougher subjects during sessions that can last up to 1½ hours? But this is how Sophia responded to her online lessons with Varsity Tutors.

As a parent, I love Varsity Tutors and the teachers/tutors they assign because of their flexibility, the quality of the teaching/tutoring they offer my child, the positive attitude of the instructors and outstanding customer service the company offers. I was also impressed with the wide range of tutoring options they are able to provide both, online and with in-person tutoring sessions.

This year I added my other two daughters to the Varsity Tutors’ roster. Melania 11 and Victoria 10 will be getting help with math on an ‘as needed basis;’ and, eventually, Melania will work with Alexandra as soon as she starts French. But our primary objective for this year was to get an online vocal coach for all three girls and to arrange online Clarinet lessons for Melania and Victoria. The girls have been taking piano and violin for several years, but are just now beginning the clarinet. So with full packed schedules across the board, our only option was an online class on Sunday afternoons – and Varsity Tutors delivered!!!!

Varsity Tutors assigned Lauren ** and Paula ** to help with vocal lessons; and, they found an amazing musician, Chris ** to work on the Clarinet every Sunday. In just a few sessions, Paula and Lauren helped all three girls revamp their vocal and breathing techniques, compile an updated repertoire of songs for their upcoming auditions and helped them with vocal presentation/performance. With that, Melania did end up booking a role in Matilda last week scheduled to open at the Walnut Street Theatre during the upcoming holiday season. And as for Clarinet…..well, by the end of the first Clarinet lesson, my youngest was playing ‘Mary Had a Little Lamb’. Now that’s amazing! They literally went from learning how to assemble a clarinet to playing the G Scale to playing their first song!

Efficient, Effective, Convenient, Flexible, Positive, Encouraging, Helpful and Worth Every Penny – that’s Varsity Tutors!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Varsity Tutors is very organized and a great organization. They respond quickly and they were the first one that came up that had French. The teacher for the foreign language is excellent. I'm an older adult plus experiencing some difficulties, and he's been helping me do that and making me feel that anybody can learn a language and it's not a bad thing if I'm an adult 'cause I already know a whole lot more. He's patient and he waits for me to respond. He knows that there are a lot of people who have a trepidation learning a new language and so he just reminds that it's not a straight path and there's a lot that you have to do so just take it forward. For anybody who's afraid to study online using all the technology, both Varsity Tutors and my tutor made me feel much more at ease with it. That's a big deal.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Our previous tutor had a limited range of expertise, and we were growing beyond that in terms of course work. Varsity Tutors had a lot more expertise and they were a more affordable option. My daughter loves her tutor. Her Varsity tutor is Ivanna. She's a young adult and she relates a little bit more on a level that they understand in terms of interests. So, she’s relatable for them than our former tutor, who was a school teacher. She enjoys her sessions with Ivanna way more because the environment is a little more relaxed and comfortable.

Ivanna helped my daughter to be a little more successful in Mathematics. We’re not yet through the first semester, so we’re still seeing how things go. But so far, my daughter shows a comfort level with the math that she’s learning more so than she has in the past. So far, we’ve been extremely satisfied with our one-to-one experience. I have recommended Varsity Tutors to other people. They have a pretty wide curriculum and they have people who can do things beyond just mathematics. Overall, I’ve been pretty impressed.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My son really got a lot out of Varsity Tutors. He enjoyed it very much and he learned methods. He was doing some self-study for Chinese and he was at the point where he wanted to start speaking with someone else. So that worked out really well with the tutor at the Varsity. He would go online on the computer and have a FaceTime. The tutor helped him a lot. Right now, he’s enrolled in the 11th grade. He also takes an online high school course with Varsity, which they don’t have at the school he’s at. We are very, very happy with Varsity. We recommend them very highly. My son has met all of our expectations and exceeded some, and he enjoyed it immensely. It was a great experience.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I'm very happy with Varsity Tutors. I had hired a different merchant for my son before and it was for SAT Prep. However, it didn't yield the results that the merchant had promised. I started searching for another provider and I found Varsity Tutors online. I was very satisfied with their service and the tutor that they provided. And the results were very good.

My son is also very happy with their service and his tutor. Right now, we're in a gap because he's busy with swimming and soccer and things like that, but then we're probably gonna continue with Varsity right after that. The SAT went very well. The objective was obtained. And he wants other things and that's like a result in itself, the fact that you have built trust because the reason why you went to them yielded the results that were promised and now, we wanna go on to more, to other things.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We had Varsity Tutors for the ACT, SAT and then AP Chem last year. It worked out pretty good. We still have a couple of hours left on our list with Varsity, but everything has been good so far.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Varsity Tutors looked appealing and the rep I spoke to was very thorough. Varsity seemed like a really good fit. I can find a tutor that works for me, which is really helpful. It is also better having the option to change tutors because if it doesn’t seem right with a tutor I'm working with, I can choose another person, which I ended up doing. There is flexibility for me and for them. The first tutor I had was brilliant, but I could not understand the way he was talking to me. So it's nice to have the power to change my tutor because if I have a tutor come to my house and it isn’t really working, there can be some weird tension if I see the tutor again.

With Varsity Tutors, however, the tutoring being online, there has never been any hard feelings with the tutors. I had Terry and she was the most personable person. She talked about the most boring subject such as the LSAT but she taught the lesson in a way that made it easy for me to sit for two hours. She could tell if I was drifting and we would pick up the pace with something else. She was very on it with me. I have used Varsity Tutors for a year and a half and I've had a really good experience with them the entire time. I definitely recommend Varsity Tutors to anyone looking for a tutor.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Don't give these people your phone number unless you want them to harass you endlessly. Their sales department has been harassing me because I no longer need their services. I asked them several times to stop calling me and then they called my work. In the voicemail they even acknowledged that I asked them to stop calling me! When I called to complain, they refused to let me talk to a Manager.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Shelby, Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform was not consistent with your expectations. We are in the process of reaching out to you directly to better understand and to try to address why your experience on the Varsity Tutors platform did not meet your expectations. We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I told them at first I needed a tutor. Then, I found a tutor at my university. So I emailed and asked for a refund. No response whatsoever. So now, I have to call them to ask for refund. I did not even started using the tutor or my session. So I deserve a refund for my $74 7 And if they don't give me one, there will be consequences with lawsuits. All they do is take your money. I would give them zero stars if I could.

Varsity Tutors response

10/5/18- Amani, we are disappointed you had a difficult journey with your tutoring. We attempted to contact you to address your concerns, but have been unsuccessful in connecting. We have issued a refund to you and apologize for any inconvenience. If we can provide any additional resolution, please contact our Customer Experience team at customer-experience@varsitytutors.com. Thank you again for your feedback.

9/12/18- Hi, Amani. We received your email requesting a refund last night. As it arrived after 5:00 PM, we already intended to contact you today to resolve the matter prior to your posting of this review. We strive to provide a positive experience for our clients. We would be glad to know what transpired to cause your dissatisfaction as we have not had the opportunity to respond to your email or speak with you further. A member of our Customer Experience team has reviewed your account and will be reaching out today to assist you.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I had a very pleasurable experience with Varsity Tutors. The convenience and the reviews made me go with them. The tutor I worked with was very patient. She listened to me and she was very knowledgeable. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My son needed a tutor for his summer school calculus class. When I inquired about their services they were super responsive. The tutor they assigned him asked to take his work papers from his class to review and formulate test problems for him. The tutor then canceled 4 sessions in a row. They assigned him a new tutor right away but could not get the first tutor to return the work papers. Varsity Tutors said they would get them back right away but did not. With his class coming to an end their answer to me was that he was an independent contractor and it wasn't their responsibility.

I called and asked for a manager at least 7 times and was put off each time. Each time I asked for a call back from a manager and NEVER received a return call. What was even more insulting was the fact that they were still retaining that tutor for other students as well as the fact that the tutor returned the work paper via email while my son was taking his final exam. When I called them to voice my dissatisfaction I was told "What more do you want? You got the papers back." Good luck if you have any problems or concerns.

Varsity Tutors response

Joe- We apologize that you were disappointed with Varsity Tutors and the first tutor. While we understand that does not change your experience, we take your concerns seriously. A member of our Customer Experience team will review your account and be in contact with you. We appreciate your feedback.

Resolution response: Sept. 24, 2018

Varsity tutors reached out to me after my review on here and helped me out with my issues. They were very willing to do what they could to make it better. They refunded me my unused hours and also set me up with a in person tutor to cater to my needs! Much more pleased.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I purchased a large pack of hours a while back. Every single tutor I used read out of a book and was extremely confused while teaching. Many left in the middle of a session to grab something unneeded for the lesson. Multiple tutors were used trying to find a better and more educated fit. Every tutor used was unsuccessful. We called multiple times explaining our issues and we were met with either a voicemail and no callback or an unreasonable reply. When I called customer service again to explain the issue, I was told not even a partial refund would be allowed for the unused hours, which consequently means my family lost thousands of dollars. I was told the hours couldn't even be renewed unless I bought a package that cost around $800. The women I was on the phone with treated me as if I was at fault. Would not recommend to anyone, all they want is your money.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Samantha- we appreciate your feedback. A member of our Customer Experience team will review your account and be in contact with you. We are disappointed that your most recent experience was not a positive one.

Varsity Tutors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.

• Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.

• Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.

• Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.

• Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.

• Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.

• No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.

• Best for: Those looking for highly educated tutors, that can stay involved in academic achievements long after the GRE is finished.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs