3.16/5
Based on 38 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Varsity Tutors

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 24, 2017

38 Varsity Tutors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

We purchased a tutor on 7/22/17 for 2500 for two daughters. The tutor canceled the first week and then he tried to tutor both at the same time, which we did NOT agree upon. He canceled a few times after that. We were unable to even evaluate him completely. One of his remarks was "I am busy right now and I'll call you when I have time". We were hesitate in complaining about him because they were so close to testing time and they convinced us to try online with this tutor and he even stood one of my daughters on that. This was a week before testing.

I believe I was misled about the apparent top rated program. My two daughters worked through the summer to get ready for this test. Even the day before the test one of my daughters again waited for this tutor to call and he never did. I have been in law enforcement for over 25 years and work at the Federal Court and have never seen such a program like this. I can see going up a point on the ACT but to DROP 2 POINTS come on now. I have 6 hours left and I know I will not see a refund because after I complained they STOPPED calling, imagine that. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I paid for a package of SAT tutoring hours for my daughter. She began with one tutor who was pretty useless, so asked to change to another one. The other tutor was a bit more knowledgeable but very unreliable, constantly changed and cancelled appointment dates - to the point where it was simply not possible to use the hours that we had paid for.

The company then contacted us 3 days before she was scheduled to take the SAT, to say that her current tutor was no longer available but they could assign a new one. I contacted them explaining that was no longer possible with such little time remaining before the SAT, and asked them to refund the money paid for hours that we were unable to use because of the tutor's flakiness. The person I spoke to, named Andrea, flat-out refused, saying that the contractual terms stipulate no refunds of unused hours. They of course had never shown me these terms, because the entire sign-up transaction was conducted over the phone. I asked to speak to a manager, and Andrea promised that the manager would call me back the next day - that was more than a week ago, I have heard nothing from them.

That is quite a good scam they have going, taking customers' money and then hiring tutors who they know won't be available. That way they earn pure profit, without needing to pay anyone for services rendered. I will be contacting the Attorney General's Office about this as well, hopefully they will investigate and shut down this sleazebag operation.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I recently completed an online application to teach for varsity tutors, the online search for potential students. After being asked to complete 16 written questions, 10 live video questions, taking upwards of 10 math qualifying tests in a row, I was asked to complete the application by submitting a copy of my driver's license and fill in my social security number so that a background check could be done. I find this request an absolute breach of privacy and an untenable one in this age of identity theft. I spent over 2 hours jumping through the required hoops to qualify as a tutor and then I reached this complete impasse as I refuse to relinquish that information which requires compromising one's identity by submitting confidential information online. I think this is egregious and I think the company should be called out for this requirement as part of their application process.

There must be another way that the company can proceed to verify information about their applicants without said applicant jeopardizing his/her identity. This needs to be addressed. I brought this to the attention of several operators who worked for the company and all I was told is 'perhaps this is not a good fit.' That is absolutely absurd. I am a super qualified tutor and am a perfect fit to tutor students in mathematics. I think their requirement borders on an illegality.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I purchased a tutoring package for my daughter. I knew that there were no monetary refunds for unused hours but I did verify the package was both transferable and with no expiration date. Four months ago toward the end of the school year, I had 3 hours left. I tried to get a math teacher but they could not find one! I then was pointed to their online tutor where one contact equaled one session even if you needed help for just 15 minutes... That was out of the question (my kids use tutor.com for that). Now, it's been 4 months since they could not find a one-on-one math tutor, and I get a phone call advising my hours have expired!

Resolution response: Aug. 11, 2017

I wrote a review that was posted on July 27 about not receiving a refund for unused hours of tutoring. I spoke to several different people with no success - until I reached Amy. She was wonderful and really listened to my complaint. She went out of her way to help resolve this issue. I am now receiving the refund for the unused hours.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I signed my son up for tutoring to prepare for the ACT. The tutor he was assigned to would only be online half of the time. He rearranged his work schedule to be available for tutoring. He would get online and wait. She would not be there half of the time. His ACT score did not improve. I didn't really expect it to based on the inconsistency of tutoring. Now they are refusing to refund my money for the unused portion of hours. I understand that I should be held responsible for the amount of time he used (even though there was no improvement on his scores), but to be forced to pay for unused hours is wrong. After reading through these reviews I see my son was not the only one who had a tutor to be a no show. I should have done better research. I would avoid this company at all costs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: July 20, 2017

I signed up for one hour for $80 as a trail. Two weeks later the tutor has not contacted me, they told me they were having issues with placement. I found another tutor and requested my money back. They say I signed a contract that I could only get my money back after one hour was used. The salesman and the website state there is a money back guarantee. In my book that is fraud, no service for payment and no money back guarantee. Steer clear.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I signed up and was told that I would be able to access instant online help and would be paired with a tutor immediately because my needs were urgent (within 24 hours). The sales rep complete misrepresented the service. Not only is the subject not available on their drop-down instant help page (90% of my reason for signing up), but the tutor is not an expert in my area. Also when I went to find customer service number to talk to someone about my concerns, the site was down. I was on the site earlier in the day and there was no warning the site would be down.

In addition when I talked to someone he kept insisting my needs were being met. When I repeatedly explained that the reason I signed up was for immediate (online) help, he dismissed this completely. I had to ultimately get a tutor through Wyzant. It's been less than 24 hours that I gave them my money and they refuse to reimburse me without going through at least one tutor and their refund policy. Also they don't offer a trial period which is nuts. Stay away. Use Wyzant if you can.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I was desperate to find an algebra tutor after I couldn't find any local tutors in my area. I asked Varsity if they had private face to face tutoring and they didn't. They offered online tutoring, which isn't for me and I just felt like I need a private face to face tutor. They made it seem like they are gods. Very good at convincing and persuading me that they are amazing. I didn't learn a thing, my first tutoring session was awful. Then my tutor canceled the second time. So they offered me instant tutoring and it was HORRIBLE! There was foreigners trying to teach me with accents. I couldn't understand what they were saying. Another one was rude.

One of my tutors got mad at me whenever I used my calculator even though my class strongly advises us to use a calculator and kept yelling at me whenever he saw me using a calculator, despite the fact that I have dyscalculia, that made me feel even more insecure about math and I canceled that session because I couldn't stop crying that entire day. I complained to customer service. They are provokingly nice however they do not answer your questions. And I've complained about the insensitivity of that tutor and they don't seem to care that their tutors are rude and not that educated. I've gotten a couple answers wrong on my homework because of them and I even had to correct them now and then.

After my horrible experience with Varsity Tutors, I've been asking them for a refund for about a week now. They hung up on me once when I mentioned a refund and then they said my account manager will call me back on that day to discuss refund and it's been a week later and no call. Which is hilarious because when I was interested in their tutoring they were so quick and eager to talk to me but when I asked for a refund they are no help and not as friendly. I honestly think they are procrastinating so 60 days can pass by and then it'll be my responsibility. I will be contacting my credit card company and possibly my local attorney and filling out a consumer complaint form. I am truly disappointed of the results of my experience with Varsity. It was only one session that made me realize this whole thing was a red flag, I wanted a refund right after my first session but of course they don't care as long as they have your money because you have to pay in full.

Original review: June 23, 2017

I would give this company zero stars if I could. They are eager to have you pay over $900.00 for services they set you up for on the phone & the tutor no shows because she's with another client. They say I signed a contract that I could only get my money back within 30 days after the salesman said my money back was 100% guaranteed. Now I have to take them to small claims court to get my money back.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I have been subscribed to the "Question of the Day: LSAT Logic Games" from Varsity Tutors. Many questions are not answerable. They do not contain enough information to answer them. This is a problem for someone who is practicing for the exam and trying to get the timing down. I tried to bring this up with Varsity Tutors via email but it is difficult to get in touch with them and I have not received a response to any of my inquiries. So if you're looking to purchase their service, I would do my research. Varsity Tutors reps do not feel it is important to address direct emails with complaints.

Resolution response: May 21, 2017

After an extended period company has offered to issue a $800 refund for unused. Issue has been resolved. Thank you!

Original review: April 27, 2017

I needed a tutor for my 4th grader. I figured this would be easy enough and booked 30 hours with Varsity Tutors. They are eager to have you pay upfront. After a couple of weeks, I was placed with a tutor for 4th-grade basic reading and writing. She canceled our first session and arrived late or canceled the next few. I should have known at that moment. She was a decent tutor but unreliable. She even brought her child along for tutoring which I let go because my son seemed to bond with her. Cancellation after cancellation later I called Varsity Tutors and after a three-week wait was assigned another tutor who had little to no elementary experience. He completed a total of two sessions and "bailed" (as my son says.) The truth is, we live out of the metro area and nobody is willing to do the commute! We stated on day one that we were not interested in the online platform.

I called Varsity Tutors, at that point I had had enough of calling and waiting for them to sort this out. We wanted tutoring services, the service that we had paid in full for in January. We were not looking for AP Physics but a very basic service for a 4th grader. Four weeks later I am still waiting for tutor number three. We have since hired someone local and reliable. I spoke to a director today who told me because I was outside of my 60-day window I could not get any of the money back. Even though we have only completed 13 hours since January and that they wanted me to give them another try. I am not sure how a company fails to fulfill their end of the contract and will call me out on mine. Tutoring services are NOT being provided. Meanwhile, school ends in three week! I would not suggest this company to anybody. I have wasted time and energy and have been left totally frustrated with this experience.

Original review: March 4, 2017

This morning I put in a request for a tutor. I received a call right back (awesome) however it was 7:30 am in California and this guy called twice and woke up my whole house of teenagers and angry husband. I talking to him for a bit because my son needs help... He was very salty which is annoying and when he told me what he recommended and then the cost I said NO and hung up.

He called back right away, once again disturbing my house prior to 8 am on a Saturday!!! When I said that, "No means no and don't call me again!!!" He proceeded to text me from his personal text and leave me a harassing text!!! He wakes my house up, upsells me and then when I say no he still calls and then sends harassing text. This company is not ok.

Resolution response: March 23, 2017

Varsity Tutors are responsive to your needs.  They address any concerns you have and provide appropriate solutions.  Initially, I was not satisfied with my daughter's tutor, however after I addressed it with the company, I received a call back from Amanda, one of their Directors, who immediately provided a solution that went above and beyond expectations.  I highly recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed! They essentially place your child's academic future in the hands of a College STUDENT who is not equipped with the experience and perceptiveness to identify your child's area of improvement, nor are they responsible. Here's what happened - judge for yourself... My daughter's ACT score remained the exact same as her "cold test" score. The "tutor" initially met with my daughter in person and then said he had to go back to college, which was out-of-state. As a result, he switched from in-person to online video chat sessions. He also was tutoring a total of 6 students in addition to attending college full time. Due to HIS scheduling conflicts, my daughter's sessions were far apart. I assumed (which I will NEVER do again) that Varsity Tutors would keep their promise to me, which was they manage the Tutors closely.

If they did in fact manage this specific tutor, they would have IMMEDIATELY seen the red flags. The reason I say "Immediately" is because when I called them to complain, they pulled up my daughter's file and told me they could see exactly why my daughter's score did not improve - "It's impossible for a student to retain all of the information when the sessions are scheduled so far apart". Hmmm, well who scheduled them this far apart?? Their tutor did! Not my daughter. And, of course, I assumed this was the process, as I have never used a tutor before - this was our first time. I honestly feel they should have refunded my money (almost $1,000) or assigned free sessions to work with another tutor, but neither was offered. Basically, there was no remediation. My daughter was so disappointed and it ended up impacting academically of course.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Have enrolled for English for my son. They [Varsity Tutors] find engineer to teach which makes no sense. Has one tutor who after first session never returned text to teach more and after 3 weeks says she is no longer with them. Now we have a tutor which is a good fit and have not fixed a time because some paper I have not signed. We have used 4 hours of our time and now you are doing finding such road blocks. I feel going to a local place who have teacher from the school in their free time teaching will be the best for my kids. So disappointed with the experience.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

We started using your in-home tutoring services in 2015 for our daughter. We are incredibly happy with our tutor as well as the results our daughter has attained. We tell everyone we know about our experience and about how Varsity Tutors is the gold standard in academic tutoring!! Thank you!!!

Resolution response: March 9, 2017

After several calls and emails we finally spoke to someone who acknowledged our frustration with VT's poor customer service. We did received a refund for the unused balance in our account.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

We used VT a couple of years ago and they were fine. We received a call from one of their reps stating that we had a balance of hours to use and to call them if we needed. So, we did. It's been 2 weeks and we're still not connected with a tutor. They offered online tutoring which we did not want, so I called and asked for a manager. I was told I would hear back from someone that day, however it's been 2 days and I haven't heard from anyone. I'm guessing because we have some free hours left that we paid for, that we're at the bottom of the list. Each time we call, we get someone else who gives us the runaround. We are incredibly frustrated and disappointed, and at this point we have requested that our money be refunded. I would not recommend using them to anyone!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

My son has always struggled with Algebra. He is a freshman in college now and away at school. He is taking a college algebra class now. He has used resources at the school but has still been struggling with his class. I reached out to Varsity Tutors and signed my son up for online tutoring. It has been great and is giving him the confidence boost he needs to get through the class. It is easy to set up appointments and they meet in the library based on my son's schedule. I highly recommend Varsity Tutors for online or in person tutoring if your child is struggling. It gives me peace knowing he is getting some extra help with a qualified tutor.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

I have had a great experience with Varsity Tutors. I was in need of a math tutor for my son and they quickly placed me after hearing my son's needs to make sure we found the right fit. They constantly stay in touch to see how the process is going and make sure you are happy! I highly recommend Varsity Tutors!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

This service is amazing. It's more than I expected at the beginning, then I can recommend to other friends. I think it's one of the best in merchant. Teachers are really good, good speaking, great content, all we need is there. If you don't understand you can ask and ask many times, that's great. Their platform is very easy to navigate. We were surprised the first time because I thought it would be more difficult, but I just need few moments. Well, preparation is one of the strongest points from this project. It is well prepared, everybody cares it and feel it. This project is growing up very fast.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

Varsity Tutors were very helpful. They were very easy to use. The Tutor we had came to our home and was not only smart in the subject matter but also extremely personable. We achieved our goal, which was tackling the ACT test. I highly recommend this service.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

My high school age son was having trouble in a couple of subjects so we turned to Varsity Tutor's for help and we could not be happier. This is the 2nd year we have utilized the service and it has made a real difference in his academic performance. We started with in-home tutors then quickly moved to the online format for the convenience. They have a vast array of qualified tutors to choose from. The new "on demand" product they offer is particularly helpful when he has a specific question on his nightly homework. They are a very professional company to deal with and I have recommended to many others.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2016

This helped me a lot in my test preparation. It has plenty of practice questions for all sections of the test. You can use alone or with a partner/group. There are practice test sections as well to give you a feeling for what the test will be like. Well written by top-notch educators. The teachers who write and present the material have extensive experience in their fields. This is the best source of test information out there today. It was very easy for me to access all the materials needed to prepare for the GRE. It was easy to find the actual book material as well as all the material online. I highly recommend this. I used the book several times over several weeks. I did practice tests and questions by myself and with a friend. When I was confused on something, I read the advice and tips. It really helped me to succeed.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2016

I think that the price was fair for what I got. A lot of prep books are overpriced these days and I didn't feel this way about this brand. I really felt like I was learning things with these prep courses. Also, things that I had problems with or questions about were cleared up for me. I was able to access all the material in various different ways. I could find them in store or online as well so I never had any trouble finding them. I would do the practice tests times as if I was really taking the test in real life and that helped prepare me a lot. I thought the practice tests were similar to the real one.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I learned to study better. I would recommend this course to my siblings and my friends. This was a great course. The teacher that taught me was very experienced. She knew what she was talking about and she helped me develop a better understanding of the things I was learning in school while also preparing me. The materials were very easy to access. I had my teacher do some extra tutoring. I stayed up all night in preparation for an exam over the length of a few months. We did review of all the material that was learned in class as well as extra work. We reviewed and preview each segment.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

It helped the user through the basics of the GRE and what to expect; however, its in-depth analysis was lacking. I wish they would have further explain their answers. The teacher was helpful and insightful. But I just felt that something was missing from the curriculum to help me succeed on the GRE. I still scored fairly well, but I felt like I could have studied alone and been fine. The course was incredibly easy to access. The format was simple, yet effective. This was one of the few things this course got right in my opinion. Again, to reiterate, the course I feel did not prepare me as well as I would have hoped when I signed up.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2016

Definitely helped me pass a test in an area I was struggling in. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without this assistance. I thank them sincerely. Teachers took their time with me, explained everything I needed help with and was extremely helpful even without needing help. Covered areas thoroughly. Very easy to access and navigate throughout. I didn't think at first it would have been so easy but I was quite surprised at how easy it was to navigate. If I hadn't prepared for this test I would have definitely failed it. I'm thankful I prepared in the manner that I did 'cause I wouldn't have been able to manage without the preparation.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2016

I am happy with the Varsity tutoring. I enjoy the one-on-one experience and get good grades on my exams. I have a tutor in trig and it seems to help tremendously. The experience with the teacher is outstanding. No question is too dumb or too embarrassing. They give you their time and will go over the problem until you get it. The access is great. They work around your schedule and set up the days you want. The tutors will meet you on or off campus or even at a cafe. The preparation usually includes long days of studying hard. My tutor usually meets with me two days prior to the test. The day before, I will let them quiz me until I get it. Very helpful and friendly.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

Varsity Tutors has made getting help for my son easy and convenient. He received a specialized tutor for help to achieve a higher score on the ASVAB exam. One of the best things is that any hours that was unused could be transferred to his brother who is currently receiving help to improve his ACT score! I am very pleased with the support and professionalism of this company. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

When I contacted Varsity Tutors, I was looking for someone who could help my daughter with middle school math concepts. She always gets good grades but she tends to need a little extra coaching and encouragement with new topics. She also needs math to be FUN and engaging. Once I contacted them, the Director reached out to me directly to understand what my child needed, how she learns, and a little about her personality. They quickly matched me with an AMAZING tutor, Nicole. Nicole is outstanding and my daughter doesn't dread her sessions because Nicole makes it fun to learn. I would highly recommend Varsity Tutors to any parent.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

I own a dental practice in TN and one of my assistants wanted to learn Spanish dental terminology. She could speak Spanish, but did know Spanish dental vocabulary. She was connected with a native speaking Dentist in Florida who was amazing. They worked together a couple of times a week in Varsity's online environment which was great for her because she could work around her schedule. She really took the time to create a curriculum for her and tested her progression along the way. She suggested materials my assistant could use outside the sessions. Now, we can serve more patients in our area since she can communicate with the Spanish speaking community. I would recommend Varsity Tutors to anyone who needed academic help or to further their professional development!

Varsity Tutors expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The newest entrant in this field is Varsity Tutors, founded in 2007. Their private tutors have built up a database of more than 100,000 questions across 150 subjects.

• Live 1-to-1 help: Instead of self-guided programs that can be vague or irrelevant, everyone gets the precise help they need to improve their scores.
    • Beyond test prep: After the GRE is finished, you will have a working relationship with a tutor who can help in your academic career.
    • Major languages: Tutoring is available in English, Spanish, French, German, Latin and Mandarin Chinese.
    • Ivy League education: Many of their tutors have degrees from Ivy League schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UChicago and the University of Pennsylvania.
    • Satisfaction: Varsity Tutors has a 98% satisfaction rating and offers a full guarantee if you're not satisfied with your GRE prep.
    • Low overhead: Because they don't have to maintain classrooms, they can afford to price tutoring services at a more practical rate.
    • No contracts: Tutoring hours are not locked into long contracts and can be used for any subject or test.
    • Best for: Those looking for highly educated tutors, that can stay involved in academic achievements long after the GRE is finished.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs