4.6/5 (43 ratings)

About Varsity Tutors

Varsity Tutors is an online learning platform that connects students and professionals to tutors in various subjects. With Varsity Tutors, you get access to instant tutoring services for education levels from kindergarten through college as well as for exams like those for CPA certification. Visit the company’s website to find out if its services fit your needs.

Pros

• Instant tutoring available
  • Money-back guarantee
  • Free classes and resources

Cons

• Adult group classes require pay
  • In-person tutoring not in all cities

Bottom Line

Varsity Tutors offers comprehensive online tutoring services, including free and paid options, with guaranteed results. Though some features require payment, all learners can access an assessment test and a study plan.

Top Varsity Tutors Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

All summer long I worried about what to present my children with that could keep them informed, educated, entertained and provide hands-on activities. When I discovered Varsity Tu...

Verified

Our kids enjoy being able to take a variety of "elective" classes through the free live classes with Varsity Tutors. They find so many topics that they are interested in learning ...

What is Varsity Tutors?

Varsity Tutors is a flexible online learning solution for students of all ages in a wide range of subjects, including comprehensive K-12. It offers academic, test prep and certification tutoring as well as linguistic guidance in eight languages. Varsity’s instruction comes in a range of formats, and the school has tutors in hundreds of subjects. Students can sign up for a series, attend free large-group classes, self-study, attend homeschool online and more.

Subject experts lead the free online large-group courses, and tutors for live one-on-one private sessions are hand-picked. Some students might prefer Varsity’s smaller classes, which include more instructor interaction, collaboration and tailored lessons. Self-study is free and comes with a learning lab, adaptive assessments and personalized learning plans.

For parents searching for learning alternatives, Varsity Tutors’ School@Home program could be the answer. This is an online approach to live homeschool for K-12 students — the platform includes live instruction, scheduling, homework supervision and progress reports. It’s available in three formats:

• School@Home Supplement is for children in school who want supplemental learning materials or extra practice.
  • School@Home Classes provides access to School@Home live instruction without any additional resources.
  • School@Home Replacement acts as a full-time school program for students.

Varsity Tutors also offers a mobile app with live tutoring that allows students to learn on the go. Like the online version, the app features additional learning tools. It also offers instant tutoring, which connects you to a tutor within a few minutes for quick help.

How does Varsity Tutors work?

Students complete an adaptive assessment to identify their needs, strengths and weaknesses, then Varsity Tutors develops a learning plan based on the results, matching students with the best classes and experts for their needs. You can also browse by subject or collection (e.g., STEM Success, Afterschool Brain Builders and Creativity Club).

Varsity’s one-on-one tutoring services are fully customized and personalized. School@Home can supplement or replace in-person instruction, depending on the student's needs. School@Home families can also form learning pods to connect students for group activities and social time.

Varsity Tutors cost

Varsity Tutors offers an array of services at various prices. Its free offerings include large-group classes and self-study groups. Some of its advanced resources, such as the School@Home replacement program, cost between $400 and $1,300 per month, depending on your child’s age and needs. Prices for the School@Home supplemental program range from $500 to $600 per month.

If your K-12 child needs one-on-one tutoring, expect to pay $50 per hour. Varsity Tutors also offers tutoring for exam prep, such as CPA certification, which starts at $31 per hour. Smaller group classes start at $25 per hour.

Varsity Tutors FAQ

Does Varsity Tutors do SAT prep?

Varsity Tutors offers tutoring for SAT prep. It guarantees you’ll get a better score or you get your money back.

Where is Varsity Tutors based?

Varsity Tutors is an online platform with offices in several major cities throughout the U.S. The company has headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.

Does Varsity Tutors offer high school and university tutoring?

Varsity Tutors offers K-12 tutoring in all academic subjects. It also provides university-level tutoring in many subjects, including languages, math, science, business, tech, engineering and humanities.

Is Varsity Tutors a legit company?

With its many satisfaction guarantees, it’s clear Varsity Tutors prioritizes its customers’ educational improvement. Its educators are experienced and knowledgeable in their fields, and students can choose from hundreds of subjects in flexible formats. Though Varsity doesn’t provide free large-group classes for college and adult students, it offers numerous free and dependable learning resources for K-12 and other learners.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I have been with Varsity Tutors for about 3 years. I started my son with Varsity because he was struggling with phonetic sounds which was hindering his ability to read. My son is now reading. They have amazing tutors who actually help students with confidence along with learning the core subjects. Not only does my son use it, but my daughter also gets help in math. When she first began she struggled with Algebra but her grades have improved. She always expresses how much she appreciates her tutor. He is patient and takes time to explain things that she does not understand. Varsity Tutors has been a great experience for both of my children and I highly recommend anyone who has children or taking a class seek help through these tutors. They are professional and very knowledgeable.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Hello varsity tutors. This is Stella ** and I’m really happy with this site. Actually I’m a Korean so I’m not fluent of English But when I started to use this website

I started to get interested in English and finished the course up to 7th grade in USA Education by varsity tutors, myself. Now I can’t apply a lot of good class

But I will apply for a class again during the winter vacation And then I’ll meet a lot of kind, good teachers. I always thought that I wanted to get out of this Korean education and I was able to learn American curriculum with good teachers from other countries away from Korean education that evokes competition and selfishness. Lastly Thank you to your efforts. I had a good experience.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

My second grader has been struggling with reading, which was causing him to draw back from wanting to read. I was able to find Varsity Tutors and from the start my experience on the phone with the specialist was amazing. She understood my concern and guided me on what plan would work best for my son. He is now on his 4th session with Ms. Holly and he is always excited and looking forward to his session. He is eager to learn new words and wanting to read again. I have noticed improvement in his attitude and in his understanding on CVC words and sight words and loves the activities he has done in his sessions. I would recommend Varsity Tutors.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I first found Varsity Tutors when I was looking for a German tutor for my son. He was taking German his Freshman year of college after never taking a single German class and struggling. After the first few meetings with his tutor, his grade improved significantly. He has been fortunate enough to have two different German tutors, both who have been professional, friendly, patient, and AMAZING (Elsie and Norbert). Both have given my son so much confidence in his German class that his professor recommended that he minor in German (and he is)! I also feel that Varsity Tutors cares about my son's progress. Not only does the tutor send notes after each meeting, but the local office is always checking in, making sure we are happy with their services and with our tutor. I cannot say enough about Varsity Tutors. I only wish I had known about them sooner!

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy to learn that Varsity Tutors is meeting his needs!

Original review: July 16, 2021

I reached out to Varsity Tutors in the summer of 2021. I was signed up to take Organic Chemistry 1 for 5 weeks followed by Organic Chemistry 2 for 5 weeks. I was also taking 3 other classes. I knew I needed help within the first week because my last Chemistry class was over 15 years ago. I only had 4 weeks left of class and needed someone right away. I knew it could be hard going through my university to get help immediately.

I reached out to Varsity Tutors on a Saturday and had my first tutoring session 2 days later. It was such a help knowing that I had someone I could ask questions to and be able to go through things at a slower pace making it more easily digestible. I passed the class with a B+ (and the class average was a 64%). I am so happy with my experience from Varsity Tutors and can't thank them enough for being available on such short notice. My tutor was so knowledgeable and patient. He figured out my learning style and adjusted his teaching method accordingly. I felt very confident taking my exams.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is meeting your needs!

Original review: June 3, 2022

Very good, very convenient. Connected me with a great tutor that helped me get through a tough course. They are very responsive, seem to have a huge database of tutors that are highly qualified, and follow up and support as well. Highly recommend!

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: June 1, 2022

We so appreciate the customized approach our tutor has showed to help instruct and encourage our child! We have seen tremendous growth in just a few short weeks. We started with 10 sessions and will take a small pause for the summer but will start back before the school year starts to get a jump start with learning in a fun way!

Resolution response: May 1, 2022

Liza ** reached out to me! She is lovely and accommodating. I do appreciate all the effort your company did to resolve my issues.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I am writing this to share my disgust with Varsity Tutors. My daughter, who used Varsity Tutors, took her NCLEX on Thursday. We received the quick results today Saturday, April 30 and learned she had failed. I paid $2600. I immediately screenshot the failed notification and called Varsity Tutoring to speak to an account manager. He assured me that my daughter would be able to start tutoring hours this coming Monday so as not to lose her momentum. Furthermore she wouldn’t have to wait three months to take her next test.

Then I was informed that they will not allow my daughter to start tutoring again until she receives the official report. It can six weeks to get the results and at least a month to six weeks of further study. This will set back her endeavors by ANOTHER 3 months. This delay is unnecessary and unsympathetic to your clients. I have asked them to apply the 36 hours back to my daughter’s account so she can start Monday and retake the test May 31, still no answer.

I am a teacher myself and very active in my community. As PA President of Forest Hills HS with a student body of 4000. I am also a Director at a prestigious summer camp in Long Island. As such, parents often ask for recommendations for tutoring services. I am hoping they will resolve this and she can start sessions on Monday or Tuesday. I would love to be able to write a positive review here and further promote your services. Additionally I recommended several people so person signed up for 36 hours as well. Please see your way clear to allowing my daughter begin taking sessions starting on Monday. If you cannot accommodate this request please refund my money.

Varsity Tutors response

Hi Jamie - Thank you for your feedback on your resolution. If there is anything further we can do to improve your experience, please let us know.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I cannot say enough positive about my tutor, Thierry, and Varsity Tutors as a whole. Not only was then onboarding process fantastic but they matched me with the absolute best PMP tutor possible in Thierry. He went above and beyond my expectations and, with his masterful guidance, I scored Above Targets in all testing areas! WOW! Thank you Thierry and thank you Varsity Tutors!

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: March 3, 2022

Sign up for 2 week class. Ending up 6 months class. Reason being tutor does not show up without any notification. They are ripping off people. I would say it's a SCAM. Be careful! Thank God, I didn't pay $3000 for private tutoring.

Hi Gurpreet,

Thank you for your feedback.  It is always our goal to exceed your expectations and your feedback suggests you did not receive our best efforts.  We will be contacting you soon to learn more about your experience.  Your satisfaction is very important to us.

- The Varsity Tutors Client Experience Team