4.9/5 (74 ratings)

About Varsity Tutors

Varsity Tutors is an online learning platform that connects students and professionals to tutors in various subjects. With Varsity Tutors, you get access to instant tutoring services for education levels from kindergarten through college as well as for exams like those for CPA certification. Visit the company’s website to find out if its services fit your needs.

Pros

• Instant tutoring available
  • Money-back guarantee
  • Free classes and resources

Cons

• Adult group classes require pay
  • In-person tutoring not in all cities

Bottom Line

Varsity Tutors offers comprehensive online tutoring services, including free and paid options, with guaranteed results. Though some features require payment, all learners can access an assessment test and a study plan.

Top Varsity Tutors Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

All summer long I worried about what to present my children with that could keep them informed, educated, entertained and provide hands-on activities. When I discovered Varsity Tu...

Verified

Our kids enjoy being able to take a variety of "elective" classes through the free live classes with Varsity Tutors. They find so many topics that they are interested in learning ...

What is Varsity Tutors?

Varsity Tutors is a flexible online learning solution for students of all ages in a wide range of subjects, including comprehensive K-12. It offers academic, test prep and certification tutoring as well as linguistic guidance in eight languages. Varsity’s instruction comes in a range of formats, and the school has tutors in hundreds of subjects. Students can sign up for a series, attend free large-group classes, self-study, attend homeschool online and more.

Subject experts lead the free online large-group courses, and tutors for live one-on-one private sessions are hand-picked. Some students might prefer Varsity’s smaller classes, which include more instructor interaction, collaboration and tailored lessons. Self-study is free and comes with a learning lab, adaptive assessments and personalized learning plans.

For parents searching for learning alternatives, Varsity Tutors’ School@Home program could be the answer. This is an online approach to live homeschool for K-12 students — the platform includes live instruction, scheduling, homework supervision and progress reports. It’s available in three formats:

• School@Home Supplement is for children in school who want supplemental learning materials or extra practice.
  • School@Home Classes provides access to School@Home live instruction without any additional resources.
  • School@Home Replacement acts as a full-time school program for students.

Varsity Tutors also offers a mobile app with live tutoring that allows students to learn on the go. Like the online version, the app features additional learning tools. It also offers instant tutoring, which connects you to a tutor within a few minutes for quick help.

How does Varsity Tutors work?

Students complete an adaptive assessment to identify their needs, strengths and weaknesses, then Varsity Tutors develops a learning plan based on the results, matching students with the best classes and experts for their needs. You can also browse by subject or collection (e.g., STEM Success, Afterschool Brain Builders and Creativity Club).

Varsity’s one-on-one tutoring services are fully customized and personalized. School@Home can supplement or replace in-person instruction, depending on the student's needs. School@Home families can also form learning pods to connect students for group activities and social time.

Varsity Tutors cost

Varsity Tutors offers an array of services at various prices. Its free offerings include large-group classes and self-study groups. Some of its advanced resources, such as the School@Home replacement program, cost between $400 and $1,300 per month, depending on your child’s age and needs. Prices for the School@Home supplemental program range from $500 to $600 per month.

If your K-12 child needs one-on-one tutoring, expect to pay $50 per hour. Varsity Tutors also offers tutoring for exam prep, such as CPA certification, which starts at $31 per hour. Smaller group classes start at $25 per hour.

Varsity Tutors FAQ

Does Varsity Tutors do SAT prep?
Varsity Tutors offers tutoring for SAT prep. It guarantees you’ll get a better score or you get your money back.
Where is Varsity Tutors based?
Varsity Tutors is an online platform with offices in several major cities throughout the U.S. The company has headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri.
Does Varsity Tutors offer high school and university tutoring?
Varsity Tutors offers K-12 tutoring in all academic subjects. It also provides university-level tutoring in many subjects, including languages, math, science, business, tech, engineering and humanities.

Is Varsity Tutors a legit company?

With its many satisfaction guarantees, it’s clear Varsity Tutors prioritizes its customers’ educational improvement. Its educators are experienced and knowledgeable in their fields, and students can choose from hundreds of subjects in flexible formats. Though Varsity doesn’t provide free large-group classes for college and adult students, it offers numerous free and dependable learning resources for K-12 and other learners.

Varsity Tutors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Varsity Tutors?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I first found Varsity Tutors when I was looking for a German tutor for my son. He was taking German his Freshman year of college after never taking a single German class and struggling. After the first few meetings with his tutor, his grade improved significantly. He has been fortunate enough to have two different German tutors, both who have been professional, friendly, patient, and AMAZING (Elsie and Norbert). Both have given my son so much confidence in his German class that his professor recommended that he minor in German (and he is)! I also feel that Varsity Tutors cares about my son's progress. Not only does the tutor send notes after each meeting, but the local office is always checking in, making sure we are happy with their services and with our tutor. I cannot say enough about Varsity Tutors. I only wish I had known about them sooner!

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy to learn that Varsity Tutors is meeting his needs!

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I reached out to Varsity Tutors in the summer of 2021. I was signed up to take Organic Chemistry 1 for 5 weeks followed by Organic Chemistry 2 for 5 weeks. I was also taking 3 other classes. I knew I needed help within the first week because my last Chemistry class was over 15 years ago. I only had 4 weeks left of class and needed someone right away. I knew it could be hard going through my university to get help immediately.

I reached out to Varsity Tutors on a Saturday and had my first tutoring session 2 days later. It was such a help knowing that I had someone I could ask questions to and be able to go through things at a slower pace making it more easily digestible. I passed the class with a B+ (and the class average was a 64%). I am so happy with my experience from Varsity Tutors and can't thank them enough for being available on such short notice. My tutor was so knowledgeable and patient. He figured out my learning style and adjusted his teaching method accordingly. I felt very confident taking my exams.

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is meeting your needs!

Original review: March 16, 2021

I took a chance on a class at Varsitytutors.com from an advertisement in Facebook. Who would have thought? I signed up for the free presentation on the death of Julius Caesar. It was a 45 minute video presentation that was absolutely spectacular. The grade level was supposedly grade school to high school but I have two master's degrees and I have never learned so much in just 45 minutes as I did in this video presentation. The speaker was so enthusiastic he could hardly hold himself on a live presentation of a tour of the Roman Forum. I have now signed up for another free class. The only requirement they have is they merely suggest that you consider having one of their private conferences for tutorial purposes. They have proven to be so good I would be willing to pay for this quality of learning.

Ed **, CPA

BURR RIDGE, IL

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: March 10, 2021

Through Varsity Tutors Star Courses my child has been able to learn with experts in their field and have access to people you would not typically been able to access. Think NASA astronauts, TV, theatre and Social Media personalities and more. These have inspiring for her. Based on the classes she now knows how to teach out dog tricks, is fascinated with the human brain and STEM topics of all sorts and though she is already a working actor she has even found tips she didn’t know before. The best thing is it is clear these experts want to be teaching large groups of children because the exude positive energy and excitement as they teach. Learners can ask questions through the chat feature and the answers are read. It’s amazing access to expert teachers and these specific courses are free.

My child has also had the pledge of enjoying some of the week long camps or large group courses. Also all free. In these she has even been taken off mute and had the chance to personally engage with the learning. She has learned and now loves yoga, origami and found a passion for art. These larger classes are also free but at the same time priceless. We have yet to take any of the smaller courses or one on one classes, but are very aware of small group learning or one on one tutoring is needed Varsity Tutors is an option.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

My daughters (3rd & 4th graders) and I watched “Tracing the Life of Frederick Douglass.” The virtual class was informative and engaging. My girls & I really liked it. My grandparents settled in Baltimore by way of NC & VA during the Great Migration and my dad, uncle, my siblings, & I were raised there. So, my girls were already familiar with Baltimore, other areas of Maryland, and (of course) Frederick Douglass. However, this lesson delved deeper (in an age/a grade appropriate manner) into the complex history of Maryland which my girls did not know about.

My daughters learned more about Maryland as slave holding border state, the Wye Plantation, and discovered that there are living descendants of both Frederick Douglass and the Lloyds. My girls had not consider that Frederick Douglass had 3rd and 4th (or more) great-grandchildren living at the same time as they are. It was wonderful to watch that “ah-ha!” moment. Ashlee Anderson asked thought provoking questions which resulted in us talking about this topic long after the presentation ended and how Maryland’s history impacted our family. This was my first experience with Varsity Tutors and it far exceeded my expectation. We will definitely participate in future virtual classes.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

My son’s math tutor, Momeena **, was immensely helpful in boosting my son’s SAT math score. We had only three weeks to prepare him for the SAT, and within this time period, Momeena helped him raise his score 100 points, o pared to his previous score score. Momeena is always positive, patient and has a very calming manner about her, helping my son to focus on his task and perform well. Thank you!

Varsity Tutors response

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to learn that Varsity Tutors is a good match for your needs!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I have been with Varsity Tutors for about 3 years. I started my son with Varsity because he was struggling with phonetic sounds which was hindering his ability to read. My son is now reading. They have amazing tutors who actually help students with confidence along with learning the core subjects. Not only does my son use it, but my daughter also gets help in math. When she first began she struggled with Algebra but her grades have improved. She always expresses how much she appreciates her tutor. He is patient and takes time to explain things that she does not understand. Varsity Tutors has been a great experience for both of my children and I highly recommend anyone who has children or taking a class seek help through these tutors. They are professional and very knowledgeable.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Our son is having a great experience with his tutor at Varsity Tutors. He was needing some encouragement and support in a couple challenging subjects. Grades have improved! As a parent, Varsity has proven to be a great asset. From the first phone call purchasing hours, interaction with the tutor, and then each session things have gone smoothly with professionalism. No hassles. Looking forward to a long academic tutor relationship for my son.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Hello varsity tutors. This is Stella ** and I’m really happy with this site. Actually I’m a Korean so I’m not fluent of English But when I started to use this website

I started to get interested in English and finished the course up to 7th grade in USA Education by varsity tutors, myself. Now I can’t apply a lot of good class

But I will apply for a class again during the winter vacation And then I’ll meet a lot of kind, good teachers. I always thought that I wanted to get out of this Korean education and I was able to learn American curriculum with good teachers from other countries away from Korean education that evokes competition and selfishness. Lastly Thank you to your efforts. I had a good experience.

Varsity Tutors response

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

We are so thankful for Varsity Tutors and their free virtual classes. We have done more than I can count over the course of the pandemic and have loved them all. We are doing virtual school and they are a great addition to our coursework. I have a 6 and 9 year old and the whole family enjoys watching them together. They are all very informative and we love the question and answer interaction. I would recommend checking out their courses!

Varsity Tutors Company Information