1.30/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

369 Chegg.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Seriously, if you had negative stars I would be on it. Don't ever return a textbook with this company. I bought a nearly $200 book (which arrived well past the scheduled delivery date) and they offered a buyback amount that was insulting. Upon receiving my book, I received an email that stated my textbook may be an unauthorized copy! After several frustrating phone calls to their customer service department (no, there is no direct number for the billing department) I still haven't received my money. Don't ever return a textbook with this company!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I'll make this easy. Just do ** use this ** website. I'm so pissed right now because they've been charging me for over a year and I can't even cancel my subscription because "supposedly" I don't have a subscription yet. THEN WHAT THE ** AM I PAYING FOR YOU **? I visited their website one time to find a solution to a problem. And after that I've been charged every month.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Chegg, without my consent, instituted a monthly description fee as from March 2018. I have previously (October 2017) canceled my yearly subscription and have not given permission for automatic renewal. I am from South Africa and have extreme difficulties in canceling the monthly subscriptions. Chegg was unable to locate me on their system even after I have provided them with all the information they required. Still, the payment went off from my bank account. After complaining about the umpteenth time, they suddenly were able to find the illegal deductions and promise to pay back the last three months' payments. I had to inquire at my local bank for the remainder of the illegal payments done.

I have already reached out to my financial institution regarding Chegg's unethical and unlawful financial conduct. These charges cannot be reversed. The only way to prevent Chegg from continuing this unacceptable practice is to close my current card and have a new card number issued. This is an immense inconvenience as it impacted many of current creditors. It is almost November 2018, and not a cent has been refunded. I am wondering how many other foreigners have been the prey of Chegg? This is unethical and punishable by law in my country. I would like to believe that this unethical business conduct is also not acceptable in the USA???

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The service they provide is not worth the money spent. They are so greedy, whenever you look for someone answer to work they claim that they have the steps but when you use their service most of the answer are garbage. Not worth the money spent on this false advertising service. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for homework help.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

After reading the reviews I realized that I wasn’t the only one that had a problem with Chegg. First, I tried to use the tutor service. 30 minutes into the lesson and I didn’t get any type of help. Tutor keeps saying that she was working on the problem and to book another class for one hour. 30 minutes passed and I didn't get anything. The tutor only wanted me to stay longer to pay more money For the solution of one problem when what I was looking for it was an explanation and the step by step Solution of the problem.

Second problem started last week. I keep getting a message saying that I have multiple accounts and it doesn’t allow me to do anything. It forces me to log in again every time I get this message and I can’t get the solution of my questions. I tried to send emails last week and today and I don’t get any answers. I’m sure they are going to charge me like I was using my account and the services. I don’t think is fair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Clearly, Chegg has some books that are significantly less money than buying from the school bookstore. I usually buy 2-3 books and find myself spending at most $50-$60. Shipping is free on orders of $50 or more and sometimes they have other deals and discounts. They ship your books right to you and then when you need to return the books, you just print out the shipping label they provide and it is prepaid, so you don't have to pay to ship them back, and why should you when they're the ones who want the books back?

The rental period is longer than a semester, so you can even order your books early and worry about having to return them while you still need them. Usually the books have some highlighting or some indication of use, but are in acceptable condition. I did receive one book this semester that was in awful condition. When I wrote to customer service they got back to me quickly, decided to send me a new book, and refunded my money for the inconvenience. I haven't been disappointed by this textbook service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Do not use this site! It is not trustworthy. I offered to pay for my daughter's college books and she needed my credit card over the phone. I trusted that she researched this site prior to providing her my credit card. She was able to order the books and get them on time for her classes. However, two months down the road, she goes online to utilize the free trial for the tutoring and within an hour there are two $20 charges on my credit card. She never authorized for them to keep my card on file and definitely did not authorize that charge. After seeing the charges, I immediately went online to read the reviews and found numerous reviews stating that people were scammed by this company. And similar stories to mine, where their account was charged. I immediately called USAA and had my credit card changed so that they could never charge me again. USAA reported the charges as fraudulent. Save yourself the headache and do not use this company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I’ve noticed I was charged $21 for subscription in September when I haven’t used one since May. No notifications, no signs of it in my Chegg account. DO NOT LINK DEBIT CARD TO THEIR SITE. Also they do not refund AT ALL.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Purchased a tutor service and the tutor only solved the question halfway and the answer was incorrect. Was charged with USD15 and there is an extra USD30 that was pending in my bank and I didn't even spend that amount.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Not sure what is going on with this site but I order a Thomas Calc 14th edition that stated they had 3 left. Purchased the first with a coupon for two day shipping. Perfect, not so fast. Got a email two days later canceled ordered. I called, talked to a really nice young lady and she said, "Sorry. Don't know why that happened." Ordered another one but couldn't give me my 2 day shipping, but still gave free shipping for 7 days. Got an email about 5 days later canceled again, same rhyme no reason??? Using this site is like hitting the lottery. Play at your own risk, I will never use this site again.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I ordered a textbook for my son. It was supposed to be delivered on 9/6/18. The website says to expect the book the day that is listed for delivery (9/6) or before. On 9/8 I contacted Chegg that I had not received the book and that there is no tracking number and it says "processing" on my account information. They told me they would cancel my order and I could reorder. I felt that they should reorder in house and expedite the shipping.

I was told it was not possible due to 3rd party who ships. They did apologize, said there was nothing else they could do, and ended the chat (usually on live chat they will wait for you to end the chat by asking if that is all). I feel as though they could have offered something like expedited shipping if I reorder and a discount code for the inconvenience. This order was for a textbook needed for my son's college class. I ordered it before school started and now he still has no textbook. I would say if you need a book to be delivered by a certain date, look elsewhere. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Get your books and send them back on time. That’s all that you need to do. Don’t get mad when YOU don’t get your books back by the due date if your semester is a little longer than the due date. Just CALL you can get an extension for a month for free. Don’t be stupid and click on the free 4 week trial. YOU KNOW you were supposed to cancel it before you were charged. It’s just like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. It’s a MEMBERSHIP. If you didn’t want it don’t click on it. ALSO IT'S ALWAYS HARD TO CANCEL MEMBERSHIPS. LITERALLY EVERY MEMBERSHIP IS HARD TO CANCEL. Grow up and read the terms and conditions.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

This was my first order with Chegg. On the screen, they showed delivery within 2-3 business days and provided ebook for 7 days. Ebook doesn't work, and shipping notification said delivery in 3 weeks. I just spent an hour on the phone. THEY DON'T CARE. If they do this to you, dispute the charge on your credit card.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

They advertise 2 day shipping and then it turns out it will be 12 days until your books arrive??? Called to complain and they could care less. I will be ordering all my textbooks and did nothing to from Amazon, which has a 6 month free trial for student prime, and that gives free 2 day shipping as well. When there are due dates for homework and your books may not come for 2 weeks, it's just not worth the risk.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have had Chegg Study for somewhere around 8 months. To put it short I received a free month through purchasing Cengage Unlimited. When I tried to use that free promotion, my Chegg account was deleted. I then tried to use my Chegg account and I couldn't view any Q/A on their website and was notified my account had been canceled. Thinking I had a free trial and since I already paid for my monthly subscription, I was very confused. Now that I resubscribed my account my bill went from $15/month to $20/month and no one month free (SCAM). I contacted customer service and the lady was somewhat hostile when taking my call, and told me to contact Cengage because she has no control over my Chegg account (It's the company she works for). I have never had issues with Chegg until now, terrible company to deal with. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

UPS delivered my book to my porch, it rained that day. My PAPERBACK was not even in protective plastic... so it got soaked through. First, Chegg told me since my book arrived a day earlier than expected, that they couldn't issue a replacement until TOMORROW. THEN they told me that I HAD TO BE THE ONE TO CALL BACK to request the replacement. Great, I can wait another 30 minutes on hold to tell someone the same story. LASTLY they won't expedite my replacement... I will fall behind in my coursework (this was a textbook for college) because their customer DISSERVICE department is a sham. Will not use them again.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Honestly, don't even waste your time. This was my first time trying Chegg and I placed the order on the 23rd, paid for 2 day shipping, and just checked on the status today 8/27 and it was canceled by them. Apparently it wasn't in stock, but they still charged my card this morning, then issued a refund 5 minutes later and now I won't get the money for 5 business days. This is absolutely ridiculous and such a waste of time and now I don't have my books for my classes that start this week and I have stuff due this weekend! I am beyond livid. They need to figure out their system and not sell books they don't even have in stock!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Chegg.com was great at first. But I canceled my account more than a year ago and I never heard anything else about it. Out of nowhere, after more than a year, my bank statement shows a $20 charge from Chegg.com and I was livid. When I called Customer Service, they had no explanation as to why the $20 was taken out of my account. They did give me a full refund and said it would be back into my account within 5 business days, but that doesn't make it right. I strongly advise anyone who's canceling their Chegg.com account to also call your bank and have your account numbers changed. Otherwise, they could sneak back in your account at any given time, just like they did to me.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I ordered my book and paid for two day shipping. My order wasn't created until a day and a half later at night. Chegg blamed UPS and UPS blamed Chegg. Just to come and find out it was Chegg's fault. When I asked to speak with management she was getting everyone settled and the person I was talking to didn't know when she would be back at her desk. After being on the phone for 40 minutes and getting no help my day was partially ruined. I was also not called back after I asked to be called back from the manager. Chegg also said that there was nothing they could do to get me my book when I needed it even though I paid the extra for the two-day shipping. So far, I have had to change all my travel plans and waste hundreds of dollars trying to fix everything that could have been taken care of in 10 minutes. I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is trying to get their books quick and easy with no hassle.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

They tried to tell me about a free 7-day trial. They charge me twice on my account. Don't deal with Chegg. They are liars. They are only out for your number that is why they asked for your card information. I am glad I have cancel their services and dispute this transaction. Don't fall for their stupid scams.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I sold my book to Chegg. I signed up to receive the money through PayPal. They received it 10 business days ago. I called the customer service. The warehouse lost my book. They said they are willing to pay via check, which was not what I signed up for. The process for them to write and cut a check takes 15 to 20 business days! So I did what I needed to do as a customer, they mess up and I get punished for it. This is horrible customer service. I am never selling or recommending them again. I can't believe they lost my book, I can't even get it back to try to sell it somewhere else faster. I needed the money before I start classes and now it seems like I'm going to get it mid semester at this rate.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was late to return my rental to Chegg by about a week or so. Chegg's reminder e-mail gave me an extension and automatically charged me $4.60. The extension date was two days earlier than the day I received the e-mail, and I was further charged $300. The highest selling price of the textbook on Amazon is $142. If you want to risk using Chegg, I strongly recommend mailing them your rentals early.

Original review: June 27, 2018

They want your money every possible (and impossible way). They don't let you go easily as long as you subscribed for the service. I was about to cancel my subscription, but got very nice offer to pause my membership. I did, but they still charged me monthly fee. It's not a big money and I could forget about it, but I am not sure I like to be cheated on. I have difficult time to find any contact information. They really don't want you to find it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I only have one thing to say about Chegg right now. It has to do with their eReader. I bought a book from them because their price was the lowest I could find. This book has nearly 600 pages. As you can imagine, perusing through a book with nearly 600 hundred pages can take some time when you're looking for that one specific page. Clicking to the next page rapidly makes Chegg think you are a bot. I have to go through page by page looking for certain things and it's gotten to a point where every 4-5 pages I am interrupted by a captcha accusing me to be a bot and asking me to click their stupid ** box.

It has gotten to a point where I have to stop what I am doing to solve picture puzzles like "click all the boxes with cars in them" type **. Repeatedly. Every time. It is a ** book Chegg. There is literally no justifiable reason for this. I made an account here solely to ** about this because I have to use this book every day and every day for hours and I constantly have to solve your stupid ** captchas because apparently you don't think it's normal for a person to turn the pages in their ** textbook.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I rented an ebook from Chegg - I found that they had the ISBN number by searching online, clicked the link, added book to my cart and paid for the book. When I opened the book I discovered that the ISBN number had changed and therefore I got a book with the wrong publisher which makes a huge difference for my class. I called on Monday and was on the phone 30 min+ and was told they would fix the issue in 1-2 days. I call Wed and was told I did it wrong and they can't fix my mistake. I explained what person before told me. He stated maybe it was my web browser that errored. When I asked why I wasn't contacted he asked why I hadn't called Tues. Because I was told it could take 2 days!! Will NEVER use this site again.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Despite the overwhelming negative reviews for Chegg, I have had remarkably satisfactory customer service. On two separate occurrences I contacted customer service regarding a refund. Once was for a monthly tutorial service which I signed up for and forgot to cancel. The second was regarding a shipping charge on a textbook order in which Chegg had advertised free shipping for orders of $50. As one of the books was an e-book, the shipping discount was not automatically applied. Both times the customer service representatives refunded the charges no questions asked. The funds were back in my account within days.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I made a purchase late last night for a textbook rental. The website did not show the delivery date until after I completed my purchase. When I saw it would take 3 weeks to get my book and had no expedited option, I immediately looked into canceling the order. The website was not user friendly and customer service was already closed for the day. I submitted a ticket trying to cancel that my books would be late and I got an email back this morning saying my books are scheduled to be right on time. When I called customer service, less than 24 hours later, they explained their policy is 30 MINUTES!

I've never heard of such poor cancellation policies. Now I have to wait 3 weeks for the book, just so I can print a label and send it back before I can get my refund. The worst part is I will be moving, so I can't even change the destination location for the book that still hasn't shipped yet. Terrible terrible policies. If you aren't sure about ordering from Chegg, look at other options first!!

Original review: May 21, 2018

As stated by Christian of Upper Darby, PA, This service is very poor at cancelling subscription. The online portal refuse to let you cancel until after you have called their office. They go on and on about it being in their terms of conditions about being a non-refundable service. This is a very poor way of treating customers and I highly suggest not using their service.

Original review: May 4, 2018

These guys acts Fraudulently and should be ashamed of themselves, they tell you that you can cancel Subscription anytime BUT hey don't fall for that, they are FRAUD, they are SCAM and will eat your Money just like that. After you are in and you don't like what you see, you can never Cancel it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I thought I would give Chegg a go as I am a student on a Biomedical degree looking to get rid of some very good quality books to make some extra cash. The statement of Chegg is that they will buy your old books - however when it came to it, they weren't prepared to buy them, They did, however, accept donations. Students, if you are looking to make a little money back from what you have paid for your expensive texts - Do NOT use Chegg. They are simple after free goods to sell on to other people. Chegg, you should be disgusted with yourself exploiting folk like that, most of all poor students.

Chegg.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs