3.9/5 (482 ratings)

Find Tutoring partners near you

About Chegg.com

Find Tutoring partners near you

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: May 25, 2022

You can’t cancel on the app. You have to go through the website to cancel and they will still charge you. Customer service will not refund you per their “policy”. Two semesters in a row where I canceled my subscription and was still charged.

Original review: May 22, 2022

This website will not let you remove your financial information from it. If you get charged for a subscription and contact them the same day either because you forgot or whatever they will not refund you and they will not let you remove your bank info which is how they get away with continually charging subscriptions and committing fraud! You have to change bank info which is ridiculous.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Upon contacting customer service after my account was frozen, I was told it was a system error. I asked about other errors I was experiencing and asked for a discount on my next bill, after 30 min and Katrina, and Abby dodging my issues, I am just completely taken back by the lack of support or help in resolving my other questions. The worst customer service I’ve really ever experienced. They make wanting to talk to robots sound like a good idea.

Original review: March 30, 2022

My daughter at UCI was repeatedly charged for unknown subscription by Chegg for $14.99 each month. It started on 7/28/2020 and ended on 1/8/2022 (the day my daughter stopped it). No refund or explanation was provided.

Original review: March 24, 2022

This company will not return your money. Their return policy is by far the worst. 14 days not when charged but when you first order your book. That means if for some reason the system keeps charging you even though you canceled your subscription your money is lost. Also, you can not even close your account without jumping through hoops. The system will not even allow you to remove your credit card. Worst company, better ones out there.

Original review: March 9, 2022

A simple request for a Chegg study subscription cancellation, turned into the representative canceling my eBook instead, during my midterm week when I needed it the most. My issue escalated and was met with nothing but apologies from each supervisor. They informed me of Chegg's policy, which states that if an eBook is deactivated, the only way to regain access is by the student repurchasing it. It did not matter that it was not my fault, it didn't matter that it was their representative that made the mistake. The burden of fixing it fell on me, the college student with an income that is sporadic and unreliable at best.

Upon filing a complaint with the BBB and garnering a response from the Chegg team, they reiterated their policy, admitting that there was no “workaround” for allowing access to eBooks without them being repurchased, regardless of the reason for the deactivation. College students are not aware of this lack of protection until it is too late. There was no accountability for their actions and the actions of those they hire to represent them. After I declined to accept their initial response on the BBB website, their second response was even more disheartening. The Chegg team resorted to mentioning the fact that I was able to repurchase the eBook a day after the deactivation.

I spent more than 24 hours finding a way to repurchase what their representative canceled by mistake. By their team alluding to the fact that the access was restored after a day, instead of focusing on the lack of policy and protection for the digital format of textbooks on their website, it became clear that it was nothing more than an attempt to distract from what their representative did and how ill-equipped the company’s policy truly is. This level of deflection from a company whose motto is to provide convenience for college students, shows just how manipulative they are towards their biggest consumers. Based upon their failing reviews all over the internet, it is clear that they have become more of an inconvenience to college students than anything else.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

They are a scam! They hung up on me when I asked for my money back like 3 days into a subscription. I contacted them before this about issues I was having. They did not have answers to almost all the problems I needed. The answers they did have were wrong. They did not refund my money. Stay away!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I sponsored a student for a book, he attempted to cancel in November and though the cancelation was successful. In December, I got charged to my account and I thought it came because he cancelled at mid period of the billing, but oh surprise, they billed me last night and my account overdraft. The student ended his semester in December first week and did not attend since until this week; we know there were holidays and school break, so he did not use the book. I called and the operator and supervisor said they have a "police" do not refund books, so I am giving away my money and the overdraft to them and they refused to credit my bank account.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I signed up today. They instantly charged me $21.35 for “monthly subscription”. In about 15 mins they said my subscription expired and needs renewal. I quickly contacted my bank and explained. My bank is taking care of it but PLEASE STAY AWAY! Look at reviews. It’s a SCAM!!!! I wish I saw the reviews before. I am not sure how they are allowed to exist. Save yourself and STAY AWAY!!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

A full-fledged scam. I sign up and they charge me right away, of course. From there and to be able to access they send a confirmation email so that when you receive it you click on a link to access. So far so good. The problem is when the link is only valid for 5 minutes, and it always takes at least 10 minutes to arrive, so several days later and after trying to access more than 30 times, always arriving the access link late, I still have not been able to enter and I am more than fed up.

If I want to unsubscribe, I can't either because I can't log into my account and I can't manage my subscription, so they would be forever charging me. The only solution to stop this is to cancel the card so that they can no longer rip me off for a product that I have not been able to use even once. A scam and a disgrace this way of acting.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Chegg.com author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

Chegg.com Company Information