Chegg.com

Compare Textbook Rental Companies

Research top Textbook Rental Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I think that the rental company is up to par with modern day technology. Renting is done by making an order with a credit or debit card. There isn't a need to return the ebook. It automatically expires on its own. Usually, I had time remaining after the course was complete. I also like the interactivity with Chegg. I use ebooks because they include complete access to all part of the book. This includes extras to help one better understand what he or she is reading. However, I do believe price is sometimes too high for students, but prices are rising elsewhere so adjustments should be made.

The features I appreciate with Chegg are the simplicity of searching for and renting books. You search for a book, then choose the correct book. You choose the rental option and it asks you sign in if you have an account or create one. After this, you choose for how long you need the book, enter a payment option and it sends you an email confirming your order and when the book is due.

Chegg.com was much more affordable than the campus bookstore, and the rental period was longer, so I didn't have to worry about returning the book in the madness of finals week. Faster shipping would be helpful, but overall it was an easy process and the company was great and easy to work with. I selected the books that I needed, and I ordered them with no problems. It took four or so days to ship, which was longer than Amazon, and it was about a week after that it arrived. The return process was a breeze though.

I used Chegg at the recommendation of my daughter when I went back to school for my master's after decades in the workforce. The process was simple. The website was good. The website was Attractive and Easy to navigate. Most of my books were there. They were easy to find. The info on books needed for each class was accurate. I liked that you could extend the loan or purchase the books if you wanted. The purchase price was affordable. Shipped directly to my home. My books arrived in plenty of time for my classes. The return process was easy though I did choose to keep some of the texts for reference.

It was annoying to get so many emails after I graduated and no longer needed the service. Otherwise it was a good experience. I highly recommend checking them out. It is worth the time. Customer service is helpful too. Takes the stress out of buying textbooks. Give them a try. Choose the books you need. Choose rental period or purchase if you prefer. Pay online. Books are delivered to your door. You will be pleased.

Chegg study is great and very helpful as a student. It helps you break down the information in your textbook and helps you study topics for classes. Like having a personal tutor. However, the layout of the website itself feels complicated and not all that user friendly. If you aren't signed in, you get basically no information and can't do anything. The search tool isn't great and your search has to be very specific in order to find what you're looking for. Aside from that, you find the book you're looking for in the search option and choose between rent or buy. If you rent, the book is sent to you in the mail. There is also a twenty one day satisfaction guarantee that allows you risk free returns if you aren't happy with your book for any reason. Once you're done, you send the book back using the label they provide for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Chegg is a very great and wonderful rental company. They are the number one rental company for books that I would refer to people. I would recommend them to just about any college student who needs a great place to rent books from that is on a very tight budget and need a great, reliable, hassle free site to use! Their prices are very affordable and they have very good customer service. And returning the books to Chegg is a very simple and easy process. They make it stress free which is what you would want as a college student. Also renting the books is just as simple and easy. I have not yet found a better website for renting and buying books! My experience was so great and I just overall really love the company itself.

It's a very easy website to use. I love this site. If I was still in school I would be buying and renting more textbooks from this website. I used this site the whole 2 years and 5 semesters that I've been in school. It's simple and very inexpensive they don't sell out. It's easy fast simple and they always have everything you need and want for school. They provide everything as far as shipping labels and the return policy is easy and fast. And they make sure to help you with any problems questions or concerns that may come along throughout the renting process.

They are very likely to have the books that you would need. I love the entire website. It is easily searchable. There is easy book look up and you select the book that you need. You can rent the book for the entire semester you will need it and they send you a prepaid sticker to send the book back easily. The customer service is friendly and Chegg will also the highest sell back rates on the books that you have to buy. However, there are times that the book is unavailable so you would have to use a different website that would have the book needed.

I liked everything about Chegg. They made it easy to rent textbooks. You can't beat renting textbooks at a discount price off of brand new books at the book store. I also liked that they offered a wide selection of books. You search on their website for the book you need. You can search by title or isn number. Sometimes you will have a few options to choose from. Add the book to your cart, and checkout when you're ready. The checkout process was also a breeze and delivery was on point. The textbook should arrive at your doorstep within 2 weeks. Returning them was simple as well.

Beginning March 2016, I was billed twice by Chegg, Inc. Without any success, I tried to solve my issue either via phone or chat. However, the customer service provided by Chegg is not able to solve issues like mine, moreover they are not able to put you in line to speak with the upper level of Chegg.

I like how you get more than just the book. Chegg gives you the whole experience as well as a discount on their other services which includes school help and textbook answers. I ordered the textbook online and it was delivered before the date it was supposed to arrive. I was allowed to use it for the whole of the semester but had to pay for any damages. I wish that the whole membership came with the book. If I could get the answers in my books without paying extra so I could check my work, that'd be wonderful. It would make my experience so much better.

Chegg.com has good deals, lots of books, quick delivery. I like how easy it is to navigate the website. It's always easy to search for the books that I need, and the prices are usually reasonable. I like how the date of delivery is usually pretty accurate. Sometimes, though, the books can be very expensive. Other services are cheaper sometimes, but I stick to Chegg for familiarity. I usually get books in good condition, but one came with an excessive amount of highlighting and it was quite disappointing. Also, getting books was easy, but the due date was immediately after finals and felt rushed. I wish I could choose a return date that matched my school schedule. Not all schools have the same semester dates, so more rental time options would be nice.

I love Chegg because it's less expensive. I got my books at a cheaper price than I would somewhere else. I usually waste about 150 dollars for books when that's just the price of one. It's really an easy way to rent books and to return them as well. I've returned my book multiple times because of getting the wrong edition but when I send them back is usually really easy. I just print the label and drop it off at the local UPS and I get informed from both UPS and Chegg. However, I've paid for all my books together and the shipping is free, but when I mess up in my order and end up returning my book and ordering another, the shipping cost is really expensive for just that one book.

I initially shopped around for textbook rentals, but ultimately made Chegg my go-to because of their competitive prices. After selecting my book on the website, I was able to select for how long I needed to rent the book. I was able to pay for the rental easily, and the shipping to and from was very easy and expedient. I received all of my rentals in a timely manner and Chegg received all of my returns. I also appreciated that the books I rented were not bottom of the barrel quality; i.e., beat up, marked up, halfway destroyed. They were gently used texts, and I appreciated that. I loved Chegg!

I like the fact that you can browse all the options of books that Chegg has and how you can buy either used books or new books. There is a wide variety of prices that you can choose from and you can return them if there is something wrong with the book. They are a great company that is well known and trusted and a lot of students use it to buy their books for a cheaper price. You choose the book that you need and the time that you will be needing it and it tells you there how much they will charge and for something was to happen to the book then they charge you more.

There are many features I like about it. I love that fact that it explains so many different things to me in so many different ways to break down my understanding to things. I really enjoy learning and reading new things and to better understand things also. However, I read this one textbook that I checked out of ecampus and it wasn't very good and I did not find very helpful at all. It didn't include the key elements to make me understand the concept of what I was reading. I spent a lot of time trying to understand the meaning of what I was reading but still couldn't grasp the concept like I thought I would have. I ended up taking it back the next day and getting another textbook to help me better understand things. But my overall experience with Chegg.com was a great one!

They provide the best service as a rental book company. They have a wide variety of books for everyone to use and I have easy access to research materials. The books are also well taken care of and are up to date. There are no missing pages on the books, as well. The overall process of renting at Chegg is very easy, fast and you wouldn't worry about anything. I like how easy it is to access their books online and physically. I prefer doing it online so when I go to the physical location, the book that I will be renting is already ready. I can save time. They also make sure I have what I need and I understand everything and provide me with relevant information on renting the book. It’s also very easy to return books. They as well remind me of the fees if ever I can’t return the book in time. Renting with them is also affordable and they're very helpful to those students who can’t afford to buy new books for classes.

I love being able to rent a book rather than buying it. When you buy the book sometimes you cannot sell it back because it is no longer needed. With Chegg I can rent a book and have no worries on returning it plus I save. Shipping needs to be improved though. It does take a bit for the books to reach you, but you usually have enough time to order prior to the quarter. But the process with them is so easy that as a person who was using Chegg for the first time I was able to do it without any help and I was able to do my studies. Thanks to Chegg.

I trust the company, it has a good reputation and I am more likely to use a reputable company. They offer all of the features I would look for in a company selling/renting textbooks. They usually have good rental prices. I also like to sell my used textbooks to them. They have a easy to use website as well. You put in the ISBN code to look up the book. All you have to do is make sure it is the correct edition and then you pay to rent the book. They always end up giving you a return date a week or two after your classes would normally end. And returning the book is really easy. You get a prepaid posting label and you can send it back in the same packaging to make things easier.

Chegg is one of the top places college students should be getting their books. The prices are the lowest of any other reliable website most of the time. It's easy to navigate the website and find the books/materials you need. Also there is a feature called Chegg solutions that allows you to check your work when doing your homework assignments. But I would probably improve on the affordable part of Chegg solutions. I have only heard of this through a friend who could afford to buy it, but I could not. So if I could afford it, I would definitely be using it.

The process of renting and returning a book is super simple and shipping is fast. When renting, you can always know how long you have until you have to return the book because your account on Chegg will say so. Then when you want to return it, simply print out a free return label from your account, box it up and ship it with the carrier they tell you to.

Chegg allows you to rent your textbooks for more than half the cost and then if you need to extend the time you have the book it costs a few extra dollars but is still less than the book price. I go online when I have determined all of my classes and order the textbooks. They come in the mail. Then when I am ready to return them, I pack them back up in the same box and take it to the USPS. They also have tutors and textbook solutions you can purchase. The source is pretty reliable and quite good because of all the services and things they provide. But sometimes the condition of the book isn't good or if you try to sell a book they do not give you a sufficient amount considering how much you paid for it and the quality of the book.

I'm glad I used Chegg. My book was available and the process was easy, helpful and efficient. I would recommend renting rather than buying in some cases as the depreciation is so high on college textbooks.

My experience with Chegg.com was very enjoyable. It was very easy to use. I didn't have any issues with receiving or returning books. My books came promptly and always in great condition. Customer service was always attentive and ready to help if I ever had any trouble. If anything I would say to increase the subjects. Also, the amount of books and the types of books could be very limited. Overall I normally have a great experience and I would use them again and tell a friend.

I liked Chegg because they made it easy to compare prices. Also they pay for your shipping, return label, and even provide a box for you to use to ship the book back to them. You put in your info to rent your book, they send it to you with a return label and a box, you use the box it came in to send it back before the rental due date.

Their process was simple. I went to their website and registered, that only took a few minutes. Then I selected the books I needed and the length of time I needed them. They give you a chance to extend the rental time for exams and other things. I liked the fact that when it was time for my books to go back they extended my time with no additional charge. That was very nice of them and I really liked that. The only thing I disliked about the program was some of the books I really needed were not available at the time that I needed them so I had to resort to going to my school bookstore where I had to pay more.

I love that shipping is fast (usually around 3-5 days at the most). It is honestly a lot cheaper than the purchasing books at the university bookstore. Especially for a biology major like me. I actually love Chegg! It is a fantastic rental book company. Although sometimes their books can actually be a lot more than the price at the bookstore. That should definitely change. This is why I really only rent from Chegg and never buy. Returning a book is very simple. You just put the book into a box and ship it back to Chegg. It ships very quick and you don't have to pay to ship it back.

Amazing experience, great quality books for reasonable price. I tried Chegg once and have stuck with them since. Good customer service, very nice and helpful. Can be expensive but the customer support outweighs the cost. They sent me the wrong book one time but they corrected it very fast and gave me a coupon for the future. Very easy rental and return. At any part of the process you can contact customer service and they are more than willing to help you. I have received refunds on late fees because they are very flexible and willing to work with their customers.

I went online and looked for the book on SlugBooks. It was listed for cheap on Chegg's, and so I went there and I got the textbook. I never had to return it so that was good. I would like Chegg's to include all my textbooks because then I would not have to pay as much. I also wish the Math textbooks would have the codes in them. That would be more convenient than going to the bookstore and paying hundreds of dollars for one. Usually my school's bookstore sells the books for expensive prices, but Chegg's sells them cheap. It helps because I want to save money on my textbooks, since I already have trouble paying for school.

They make searching for, and renting the textbooks you need a super easy process with modern technical features. Prices are very affordable for a student's budget. I used Chegg.com a lot over the course of my education. When other sites didn't have what I needed, I could usually find it here on this website. All you have to do is sign up for an account first. Then you use their database search feature to look for the textbook that you need. And you add it to your cart much like any other shopping site. Last you pay and wait for the book to arrive.

Chegg offers really low prices on most textbooks that you cannot find anywhere else. They also offer a super easy and cheap way to rent books. I have never had to worry about my books coming in too late or any type of problems. They are a top of the line company that is extremely innovative for today's college students looking for a cheaper option for textbooks instead of buying them outright. The only thing that I don't like is that the fees for returning them late are kind of outrageous. I feel like they should be lower because we are college students looking for a cheaper offer. But other than that, I have never had a problem with them and I will continue usage because of the easy and quick access to textbook rentals. When going to find which books you need, it is super easy. They have a wide variety so you never have to worry about your books not being there. Returning is just as simple and easy as long as you return them on time.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.
  • Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.
  • Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.
  • Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.
  • Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.
  • Best for college and university students on a budget.

Compare Textbook Rental