1.38/5

393 Chegg.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

Chegg kept charging my credit card for a year for a book subscription that my daughter used for a senior year course. She used my credit card to for this book subscription, but the company continued to charge me for the subscription monthly even when cancelled upon her graduation. I disputed the charges with my credit card company after I was unable to contact the company. The credit card company responded stating the subscription was legitimate and they continued to charge my account. I then reported fraud to my credit card company and got a new card number, and Chegg was still able to charge my account. The Chegg website will not allow you to delete the credit card information. This company is deceptive and fraudulent.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I paid for my son's Chegg account and would like to remove my payment info from his account, but Chegg's policy states that they require one payment info for their service. Even when I paid already for their service, they gave me the option to close my son's account or remove all its associated data should I choose to remove my payment info.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2019

No long menu, 5 second wait time to talk to an actual person, representative was kind, fast, and helpful, was able to refund the charge I called about. (Even though I didn't ask for it, AND it was my own negligence!) Honestly floored by how positive this experience was so I had to write a review somewhere.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Not sure why there are an overwhelming amount of one star reviews. I've used Chegg for years and not once have I EVER had a dissatisfactory encounter. No funny charges have been placed on my account, I've never used their tutor/homework service, nor have I ever had to sell a book back to them. They've always received my textbooks on time, and I've always gotten books that have been in good shape, even if they're used. Chegg is a good company, with good prices for textbooks and I'll continue to use them until they give me a reason not to.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

They advertise they assist with homework, you see it everywhere in their commercials from email to Pandora (They don't hide it). I send the tutor a copy of the homework for assistance, at his request mind you because he needs to see it in order to help, they then deactivate my account later on that day, locked me out of my notes, and trashed my prepaid hours of tutoring I had left to then provide no refund. They claimed I violated their policy of requesting help on a homework/ graded assignment, they phrase it as a graded assignment in this context of course but it clearly says "homework 1" at the top of it...

They notify me by email, trashing me as a person, obviously not directly but with a professional hint behind the word-usage, but they did accuse me of being of poor moral character, even going as far as bringing in the word "Honor" as if they were setting the standard themselves. I reply to them by email after that simply requesting for an explanation on their side, while I provided about an essay worth of an explanation on my side of the story to provide them with some perspective.

I then get a response back saying they can assure me I'm wrong and they did conduct an in-depth investigation on my case, they aren't gonna look more into my case though as they clearly stated... They said they obviously didn't need to. Concluding with "please refrain from messaging them again on this case". Possibly the shadiest company I've dealt with to date, one that charges you for their services to then take your money and claim you are the terrible person.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Never... and I mean never do business with this company. I bought my book from the publisher a year ago and sold it to Chegg. They told me the book was not authentic and had to send the book to the publisher. I told them I bought it from the publisher, but they said they would not return the book. They are keeping the books and reselling them to get 100% profit. Please, and I mean please, don’t use Chegg. They will steal your book, not answer your emails, and I demanded I speak to a supervisor and they told me they couldn’t get anyone on the line. CRIMINALS! I warned you, so don’t be surprised when you get burned by them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

They took my book and NEVER paid me. BBB here I come! I called and called. I only spoke to the most uneducated, ignorant children who knew NOTHING. They kept putting me on hold and kept telling me "the checks in your account." Except I have NO account!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I rented a textbook for a class that I was taking online. I paid to have the book expedited. After I did not receive the book on the day I was supposed to, I contacted Chegg. I was told "Oh yeah the book was returned to us because it was damaged, would you like to reorder it?" No email, no phone call to let me know that I would not be receiving the book. No apology, just "So would you like to reorder." So unprofessional!! That was my first and last time using this company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was a tutor with InstaEdu for years before Chegg bought them out. In August 2018, I wanted to add a new subject to my list. However, I was already maxed out at 40 subjects. I tried multiple methods to remove some subjects myself, before I finally decided to contact Chegg about the issue in September. Now, 4 emails and 1 phone call later, they have done absolutely nothing to resolve the issue, instead responding to every single one of my correspondences with a slightly different paraphrasing of "We're sorry about the issue and your frustration. We have no timeline to fix it. Our team is aware. Let us know if you have any further questions." To anyone thinking of tutoring online through Chegg, please reconsider and take your valuable brains elsewhere. To those considering receiving tutoring through Chegg, please be aware that the tutors are treated horrendously.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have no account with Chegg, nor have I ever done business with this entity. Yesterday, I noticed a $41.48 charge on my credit card associated with this company; I tried calling them, but their phone was either disconnected or changed. I reported this charge as fraud, and had to replace my credit card. Obviously, this is a recurring problem with this company, as I found many people complaining about unauthorized credit card charges.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

In October I sold a textbook to Chegg. After not hearing anything for weeks after they received it, I contacted them. They claimed to have sent my book to the publisher for authentication, a book I purchased at the campus bookstore. Here we are three months later and they are still claiming it is with the publisher. They are thieves. A book previously returned to me had their store stickers on it, they had intended to keep and sell my book.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I paid for my daughter's books over a year ago. This year she paid for her books herself and didn't send them back in time so they charged her. When she didn't have enough money in her account they charged my card from over a year ago. I never gave permission for this and my card number that they had on file for me has since expired but they found a way to use it anyway. When I called them they explained that they NEVER take a card number off of an account. They will deactivate my card but if this happens to my daughter next year guess what THEY WILL DO IT AGAIN. My only option is to call my bank and cancel the card altogether. What a complete illegal racket.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I rented a textbook for a pretty decent price. I returned the book on time, and they still charged me $200 for the textbook claiming that they never received the rented textbook back. - I'm still in college and needed that $200 for so many other things. - Additionally, I rented an Ebook from and every 5th page was blurry to the point I couldn't not read the information on the page. When I went to customer service the first guy said that nothing was wrong, the second lady told me that they would fix it within 10 days. It was never fixed, and when I tried to follow up with the company there was no record of me talking to anyone or requesting help. - TERRIBLY RUN COMPANY. THEY WILL CHEAT YOU OUT OF MONEY. The prices look good, but there are WAY more trustworthy companies out there. I hope this helps someone from getting robbed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I sold books back to Chegg in July 2018. I waited for a month to receive a $200 check but it never arrived. I contacted Chegg and they said they made a mistake and would send a check out. This has been going on every other month and still no check. It is now Jan 2019 and now I'm being told I have to send a copy of my bank statement from July until now showing I never received a check. I'm at a loss on what to do now.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I was very disappointed about this website, as they blocked an amount of money my card and after they charge me again the same amount of money. The costs are too high for the quality of support they are offering. I needed help with Java so besides the fact that the tutor did not know Java very well, he was going on for three hours so that cost me $75 and he messed up my initial code as well.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Keep charging my credit card for over a year about a service that my son never used or asked for "to the best of his knowledge". My wife used her credit card to rent a book for my daughter, Chegg.com cancelled the order because they don't have the book anymore yet her card was charged, when we called them they say to check with the bank. This company are bunch of thieves and manipulators, never use them. I will make sure that no one that I know will ever use their service.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Chegg would not give me a refund for a service my son was locked out of but continued to charge my account for seven more months and will only give me one month refund. Terrible customer service. Spoke to Shirley's supervisor who would not give me his supervisor, because "they" don't take calls. So unprofessional. Such a ripoff. So disappointed in this company. It's college students using their service. Pathetic how they screw them. Would not recommend to ANYONE EVER! Bad business tactics. Disgusted.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Chegg provides less expensive textbooks and other helpful services, but when I needed to cancel a textbook order that I had ordered less than an hour prior they said that they couldn't and I would just have to return it when it arrived. When I asked about free shipping on ordering the correct book they said that they could provide it, but I should call back once I order the book and they will refund it then. To ensure they could refund it I called right before I placed the order. When asking to confirm they said they could, but did not ask for any of my information. I had to ask if they needed my account to refund it and they said they needed my email. After starting to give my email they hung up on me. I am glad I hadn't already placed my order! I will be sticking to Amazon Rentals from now on.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Rented a book, they throw in some study thing that you won't ever use. I cancelled the study part, but they kept charging me. When I call to complain they say it's non-refundable. All they want is your money, and they couldn't care less about you as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I rented a book from Chegg and the subscription ended two weeks before my final exam. I contacted the online customer service and the person was very useless. He/she told me to contact the publisher to have access to the book they claim they are renting. I told them it is weird that my subscription ended before the semester and I explained how I didn't know when my final exam was that is why I rented the book. This person suggested to talk to the publisher. How I'm I suppose to contact the publisher while I rented the book from Chegg.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I can't believe that they cancelled my books a couple of days ago. Today I had to pay for the books again because I still need them for the rest of the semester. I will never buy or have anything to do with Chegg ever again. I don't like the way they treat their customers. After I am done with these books I'm getting rid of this.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I ordered an Ebook from Chegg that I needed for a class for college. My schedule was changed so I needed the book a bit longer than the original time I rented the book for. Therefore, I paid to extend my rental. With two weeks left of my class, I couldn't access my book. Every time I tried to access it, I received a message that I was not authorized to access my book. I emailed Chegg and I received an email back apologizing and that they refunded the money I paid for the extension. I replied that I did not ask for a refund because I still need the book, I just needed to access it. Then I received an automated email.

I then called, the guy who answered took 10 minutes to figure out that the problem was the author of the book no longer allowed Chegg to rent the Ebook. I never was sent an email prewarning me, nor did I ever read any type of disclosure this may happen, I wasn't offered any sort of credit, empathy, sympathy, or compassion for this inconvenience, and I certainly wasn't offered any money towards having to rent this (Ebook) from another company so I can finish my class! Chegg only cares about taking your money, they couldn't care less about our your education.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have used multiple services that Chegg has recently purchased. A major one includes EasyBib. After Chegg purchased them the site has turned into a "let's see how much money we can really make" service. The site has been cluttered with ads. Additionally, they only support MLA7 and MLA8 for free now, even with ads. I will refuse to use any of Chegg's Services from here on. They are dishonest and never even responded to my email about an account closure. If they aren't making a ton of money off of you (additional to ads) - they don't care!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I purchased one month of Chegg study. I only needed it for one month, so I went to cancel my subscription. When I went to cancel it I was given an offer that if I kept my subscription another month it would only be $5, so I kept it for one more month. When that month came, I was charged $15, not the $5 stated. I contacted customer service and was told they couldn’t refund me the difference, they could only cancel my subscription. I decided to keep it since it turned out I still needed it. Now a few weeks later I get an email saying they undercharged me, that they should have charged me $20 instead of $15, so I will be charged another $5. That’s the amount I was supposed to have paid originally! Better to avoid them altogether, and don’t take their lie of renewing for $5, it’s a scam!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Seriously, if you had negative stars I would be on it. Don't ever return a textbook with this company. I bought a nearly $200 book (which arrived well past the scheduled delivery date) and they offered a buyback amount that was insulting. Upon receiving my book, I received an email that stated my textbook may be an unauthorized copy! After several frustrating phone calls to their customer service department (no, there is no direct number for the billing department) I still haven't received my money. Don't ever return a textbook with this company!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I'll make this easy. Just do ** use this ** website. I'm so pissed right now because they've been charging me for over a year and I can't even cancel my subscription because "supposedly" I don't have a subscription yet. THEN WHAT THE ** AM I PAYING FOR YOU **? I visited their website one time to find a solution to a problem. And after that I've been charged every month.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Chegg, without my consent, instituted a monthly description fee as from March 2018. I have previously (October 2017) canceled my yearly subscription and have not given permission for automatic renewal. I am from South Africa and have extreme difficulties in canceling the monthly subscriptions. Chegg was unable to locate me on their system even after I have provided them with all the information they required. Still, the payment went off from my bank account. After complaining about the umpteenth time, they suddenly were able to find the illegal deductions and promise to pay back the last three months' payments. I had to inquire at my local bank for the remainder of the illegal payments done.

I have already reached out to my financial institution regarding Chegg's unethical and unlawful financial conduct. These charges cannot be reversed. The only way to prevent Chegg from continuing this unacceptable practice is to close my current card and have a new card number issued. This is an immense inconvenience as it impacted many of current creditors. It is almost November 2018, and not a cent has been refunded. I am wondering how many other foreigners have been the prey of Chegg? This is unethical and punishable by law in my country. I would like to believe that this unethical business conduct is also not acceptable in the USA???

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The service they provide is not worth the money spent. They are so greedy, whenever you look for someone answer to work they claim that they have the steps but when you use their service most of the answer are garbage. Not worth the money spent on this false advertising service. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for homework help.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

After reading the reviews I realized that I wasn’t the only one that had a problem with Chegg. First, I tried to use the tutor service. 30 minutes into the lesson and I didn’t get any type of help. Tutor keeps saying that she was working on the problem and to book another class for one hour. 30 minutes passed and I didn't get anything. The tutor only wanted me to stay longer to pay more money For the solution of one problem when what I was looking for it was an explanation and the step by step Solution of the problem.

Second problem started last week. I keep getting a message saying that I have multiple accounts and it doesn’t allow me to do anything. It forces me to log in again every time I get this message and I can’t get the solution of my questions. I tried to send emails last week and today and I don’t get any answers. I’m sure they are going to charge me like I was using my account and the services. I don’t think is fair.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Clearly, Chegg has some books that are significantly less money than buying from the school bookstore. I usually buy 2-3 books and find myself spending at most $50-$60. Shipping is free on orders of $50 or more and sometimes they have other deals and discounts. They ship your books right to you and then when you need to return the books, you just print out the shipping label they provide and it is prepaid, so you don't have to pay to ship them back, and why should you when they're the ones who want the books back?

The rental period is longer than a semester, so you can even order your books early and worry about having to return them while you still need them. Usually the books have some highlighting or some indication of use, but are in acceptable condition. I did receive one book this semester that was in awful condition. When I wrote to customer service they got back to me quickly, decided to send me a new book, and refunded my money for the inconvenience. I haven't been disappointed by this textbook service.

Chegg.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs