2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.23/5

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: May 20, 2020

Chegg tutors answered my call in less than 3 minutes holding, granted I happened to be calling as soon as their office opened so the line was likely shorter than usual. Once I got on the phone I explained the billing issue I had experienced and the representative did not hesitate to offer me a full refund and credit to my account. Overall, it was a customer service experience on the tier of Amazon.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I am a mature (middle-aged) graduate school student. When an illness and death in my immediate family forced me to take an unexpected leave of absence from my studies early in the semester, Chegg graciously accepted my return of three rental textbooks and gave me a full refund -- even though I returned these way outside the 21 day return window. I offered to pay the return shipping on the books, but they paid for that, also. I am extremely grateful for their compassion and flexibility and will use them again when I return to school in a year.

Get buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I had an issue with Chegg study charging my account after I rented a textbook from them. I called and within 10 seconds the issue was fixed since they have my phone number associated with my account. Absolutely fabulous customer service! I've never been on the phone with a company for such a short period of time (literally 30 seconds) with my issue fully resolved. Their textbooks are also cheap, in good condition, and timely and Chegg Study is very helpful. Couldn't recommend them enough!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I tried to get my books early for school to have them ready. As it turns out, my school cancelled the class I was enrolled in due to low enrollment numbers; however, since it was past the 21-day return policy for Chegg (they go off of order date) I wasn’t able to receive a refund so I’m completely out of the money I paid. Never ordering from here again. Unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I ordered my textbooks and went to check on the status of the order days later only to find one book had been canceled. I went from paying $78 to having to pay $110 for the same book a few days later and Chegg would only offer me a %15 discount. Their explanation was that they must have run out, got more in stock, and jacked the prices up to $110 now. I asked on the Chegg chat if I would have any issues with my orders going through Chegg and was assured this was a great site and I'd be thrilled with my experience. Now I will have a week less to prepare for classes and I had to spend a lot more than I had planned to spend.... Livid.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I lost my textbooks in a housefire 4 days before exam week. Chegg is going to charge me full price for not returning the books. Or, I can buy the books from somewhere else and return them. Nothing like adding more stress during this already stressful time. Apparently, I haven't lost enough already. I've been a faithful customer since I started college. The fire marshal is willing to send them a copy of the report. Some companies are only about the bottom dollar!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I could not accept the idea of what 1 account use only device. Even when I swap to my only device so they just only allow to swap one a month, and they send the verified code by mail but could not use that. Finally, they blocked my account because many attempts. Thump down.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I used to love books during my undergrad and when they were going through UPS. Now that they changed to FedEx they kind of started to go downhill. I am in graduate school and have ordered books there two times before. Each time I returned my books I would get emails upon emails saying my Chegg books are due and they would charge me $6 if they aren't due on time. They actually did charge me a couple of times because I thought with COVID maybe FedEx is late. However, they just weren't processed.

This time, I ordered two books, put them in the same box and sent them back. They only processed one... I know the other one got there because they were in the same box. They sent me another email saying my books are due and if I don't return them they will charge me again. In other words, might have to start using Amazon if I keep getting these emails about how my books (that are in the same box) haven't been processed.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

I initially joined Chegg for homework help for a Accounting Math class. I used the service on the laptop. I tried to use it at work but was told I was not able to since it was a shared device. I then used only my laptop. Today, I was sent an email accusing my of using many devices and that they were going to suspend my account. I immediately cancelled this subscription. If I could have given them 0 stars I would have. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

After one week of use, my account was suspended on "suspicion of being a shared account". I'm the only user. It took 3 days for Chegg to unlock my account. I never received a clear explanation from customer service, but their agents indicated any of the following can get an account flagged as "shared" and suspended:

-using a different browser or operating system
      -using a different WiFi access point, point-of-presence, or IP address
      -having more than 1 tab open at a time
      -using a VPN or ANY privacy plugins
      -studying for more than one class, topic or textbook

-clearing cookies. Ever.

Chegg.com does not mention any of these restrictions during account creation. If they had, I never would have paid for a subscription; these limitations make the service almost unusable from a mobile device. Even after adhering to those guidelines, my account was suspended again after another week. I don't know if Chegg.com suffers from technical incompetence, or if they're deliberately limiting usage. I do know that after paying for a month of service, I've had less than 2 weeks of access and hours of wasted time.

Chegg.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team