1.21/5

361 Chegg.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Purchased a tutor service and the tutor only solved the question halfway and the answer was incorrect. Was charged with USD15 and there is an extra USD30 that was pending in my bank and I didn't even spend that amount.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Not sure what is going on with this site but I order a Thomas Calc 14th edition that stated they had 3 left. Purchased the first with a coupon for two day shipping. Perfect, not so fast. Got a email two days later canceled ordered. I called, talked to a really nice young lady and she said, "Sorry. Don't know why that happened." Ordered another one but couldn't give me my 2 day shipping, but still gave free shipping for 7 days. Got an email about 5 days later canceled again, same rhyme no reason??? Using this site is like hitting the lottery. Play at your own risk, I will never use this site again.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I ordered a textbook for my son. It was supposed to be delivered on 9/6/18. The website says to expect the book the day that is listed for delivery (9/6) or before. On 9/8 I contacted Chegg that I had not received the book and that there is no tracking number and it says "processing" on my account information. They told me they would cancel my order and I could reorder. I felt that they should reorder in house and expedite the shipping.

I was told it was not possible due to 3rd party who ships. They did apologize, said there was nothing else they could do, and ended the chat (usually on live chat they will wait for you to end the chat by asking if that is all). I feel as though they could have offered something like expedited shipping if I reorder and a discount code for the inconvenience. This order was for a textbook needed for my son's college class. I ordered it before school started and now he still has no textbook. I would say if you need a book to be delivered by a certain date, look elsewhere. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Get your books and send them back on time. That’s all that you need to do. Don’t get mad when YOU don’t get your books back by the due date if your semester is a little longer than the due date. Just CALL you can get an extension for a month for free. Don’t be stupid and click on the free 4 week trial. YOU KNOW you were supposed to cancel it before you were charged. It’s just like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. It’s a MEMBERSHIP. If you didn’t want it don’t click on it. ALSO IT'S ALWAYS HARD TO CANCEL MEMBERSHIPS. LITERALLY EVERY MEMBERSHIP IS HARD TO CANCEL. Grow up and read the terms and conditions.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

This was my first order with Chegg. On the screen, they showed delivery within 2-3 business days and provided ebook for 7 days. Ebook doesn't work, and shipping notification said delivery in 3 weeks. I just spent an hour on the phone. THEY DON'T CARE. If they do this to you, dispute the charge on your credit card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

They advertise 2 day shipping and then it turns out it will be 12 days until your books arrive??? Called to complain and they could care less. I will be ordering all my textbooks and did nothing to from Amazon, which has a 6 month free trial for student prime, and that gives free 2 day shipping as well. When there are due dates for homework and your books may not come for 2 weeks, it's just not worth the risk.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have had Chegg Study for somewhere around 8 months. To put it short I received a free month through purchasing Cengage Unlimited. When I tried to use that free promotion, my Chegg account was deleted. I then tried to use my Chegg account and I couldn't view any Q/A on their website and was notified my account had been canceled. Thinking I had a free trial and since I already paid for my monthly subscription, I was very confused. Now that I resubscribed my account my bill went from $15/month to $20/month and no one month free (SCAM). I contacted customer service and the lady was somewhat hostile when taking my call, and told me to contact Cengage because she has no control over my Chegg account (It's the company she works for). I have never had issues with Chegg until now, terrible company to deal with. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

UPS delivered my book to my porch, it rained that day. My PAPERBACK was not even in protective plastic... so it got soaked through. First, Chegg told me since my book arrived a day earlier than expected, that they couldn't issue a replacement until TOMORROW. THEN they told me that I HAD TO BE THE ONE TO CALL BACK to request the replacement. Great, I can wait another 30 minutes on hold to tell someone the same story. LASTLY they won't expedite my replacement... I will fall behind in my coursework (this was a textbook for college) because their customer DISSERVICE department is a sham. Will not use them again.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Honestly, don't even waste your time. This was my first time trying Chegg and I placed the order on the 23rd, paid for 2 day shipping, and just checked on the status today 8/27 and it was canceled by them. Apparently it wasn't in stock, but they still charged my card this morning, then issued a refund 5 minutes later and now I won't get the money for 5 business days. This is absolutely ridiculous and such a waste of time and now I don't have my books for my classes that start this week and I have stuff due this weekend! I am beyond livid. They need to figure out their system and not sell books they don't even have in stock!!!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Chegg.com was great at first. But I canceled my account more than a year ago and I never heard anything else about it. Out of nowhere, after more than a year, my bank statement shows a $20 charge from Chegg.com and I was livid. When I called Customer Service, they had no explanation as to why the $20 was taken out of my account. They did give me a full refund and said it would be back into my account within 5 business days, but that doesn't make it right. I strongly advise anyone who's canceling their Chegg.com account to also call your bank and have your account numbers changed. Otherwise, they could sneak back in your account at any given time, just like they did to me.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I ordered my book and paid for two day shipping. My order wasn't created until a day and a half later at night. Chegg blamed UPS and UPS blamed Chegg. Just to come and find out it was Chegg's fault. When I asked to speak with management she was getting everyone settled and the person I was talking to didn't know when she would be back at her desk. After being on the phone for 40 minutes and getting no help my day was partially ruined. I was also not called back after I asked to be called back from the manager. Chegg also said that there was nothing they could do to get me my book when I needed it even though I paid the extra for the two-day shipping. So far, I have had to change all my travel plans and waste hundreds of dollars trying to fix everything that could have been taken care of in 10 minutes. I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is trying to get their books quick and easy with no hassle.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

They tried to tell me about a free 7-day trial. They charge me twice on my account. Don't deal with Chegg. They are liars. They are only out for your number that is why they asked for your card information. I am glad I have cancel their services and dispute this transaction. Don't fall for their stupid scams.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I sold my book to Chegg. I signed up to receive the money through PayPal. They received it 10 business days ago. I called the customer service. The warehouse lost my book. They said they are willing to pay via check, which was not what I signed up for. The process for them to write and cut a check takes 15 to 20 business days! So I did what I needed to do as a customer, they mess up and I get punished for it. This is horrible customer service. I am never selling or recommending them again. I can't believe they lost my book, I can't even get it back to try to sell it somewhere else faster. I needed the money before I start classes and now it seems like I'm going to get it mid semester at this rate.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I was late to return my rental to Chegg by about a week or so. Chegg's reminder e-mail gave me an extension and automatically charged me $4.60. The extension date was two days earlier than the day I received the e-mail, and I was further charged $300. The highest selling price of the textbook on Amazon is $142. If you want to risk using Chegg, I strongly recommend mailing them your rentals early.

Original review: June 27, 2018

They want your money every possible (and impossible way). They don't let you go easily as long as you subscribed for the service. I was about to cancel my subscription, but got very nice offer to pause my membership. I did, but they still charged me monthly fee. It's not a big money and I could forget about it, but I am not sure I like to be cheated on. I have difficult time to find any contact information. They really don't want you to find it.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I only have one thing to say about Chegg right now. It has to do with their eReader. I bought a book from them because their price was the lowest I could find. This book has nearly 600 pages. As you can imagine, perusing through a book with nearly 600 hundred pages can take some time when you're looking for that one specific page. Clicking to the next page rapidly makes Chegg think you are a bot. I have to go through page by page looking for certain things and it's gotten to a point where every 4-5 pages I am interrupted by a captcha accusing me to be a bot and asking me to click their stupid ** box.

It has gotten to a point where I have to stop what I am doing to solve picture puzzles like "click all the boxes with cars in them" type **. Repeatedly. Every time. It is a ** book Chegg. There is literally no justifiable reason for this. I made an account here solely to ** about this because I have to use this book every day and every day for hours and I constantly have to solve your stupid ** captchas because apparently you don't think it's normal for a person to turn the pages in their ** textbook.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I rented an ebook from Chegg - I found that they had the ISBN number by searching online, clicked the link, added book to my cart and paid for the book. When I opened the book I discovered that the ISBN number had changed and therefore I got a book with the wrong publisher which makes a huge difference for my class. I called on Monday and was on the phone 30 min+ and was told they would fix the issue in 1-2 days. I call Wed and was told I did it wrong and they can't fix my mistake. I explained what person before told me. He stated maybe it was my web browser that errored. When I asked why I wasn't contacted he asked why I hadn't called Tues. Because I was told it could take 2 days!! Will NEVER use this site again.

Original review: June 10, 2018

Despite the overwhelming negative reviews for Chegg, I have had remarkably satisfactory customer service. On two separate occurrences I contacted customer service regarding a refund. Once was for a monthly tutorial service which I signed up for and forgot to cancel. The second was regarding a shipping charge on a textbook order in which Chegg had advertised free shipping for orders of $50. As one of the books was an e-book, the shipping discount was not automatically applied. Both times the customer service representatives refunded the charges no questions asked. The funds were back in my account within days.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I made a purchase late last night for a textbook rental. The website did not show the delivery date until after I completed my purchase. When I saw it would take 3 weeks to get my book and had no expedited option, I immediately looked into canceling the order. The website was not user friendly and customer service was already closed for the day. I submitted a ticket trying to cancel that my books would be late and I got an email back this morning saying my books are scheduled to be right on time. When I called customer service, less than 24 hours later, they explained their policy is 30 MINUTES!

I've never heard of such poor cancellation policies. Now I have to wait 3 weeks for the book, just so I can print a label and send it back before I can get my refund. The worst part is I will be moving, so I can't even change the destination location for the book that still hasn't shipped yet. Terrible terrible policies. If you aren't sure about ordering from Chegg, look at other options first!!

Original review: May 21, 2018

As stated by Christian of Upper Darby, PA, This service is very poor at cancelling subscription. The online portal refuse to let you cancel until after you have called their office. They go on and on about it being in their terms of conditions about being a non-refundable service. This is a very poor way of treating customers and I highly suggest not using their service.

Original review: May 4, 2018

These guys acts Fraudulently and should be ashamed of themselves, they tell you that you can cancel Subscription anytime BUT hey don't fall for that, they are FRAUD, they are SCAM and will eat your Money just like that. After you are in and you don't like what you see, you can never Cancel it.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I thought I would give Chegg a go as I am a student on a Biomedical degree looking to get rid of some very good quality books to make some extra cash. The statement of Chegg is that they will buy your old books - however when it came to it, they weren't prepared to buy them, They did, however, accept donations. Students, if you are looking to make a little money back from what you have paid for your expensive texts - Do NOT use Chegg. They are simple after free goods to sell on to other people. Chegg, you should be disgusted with yourself exploiting folk like that, most of all poor students.

Original review: May 1, 2018

A consistent theme I notice is that many tutors don't directly address the problem upfront. They stall. I am advanced-ish in Java. Today I needed help with 1(!) method. Instead I got a 3 hour tutorial in Java 101, with my ACTUAL request for help being addressed WAY down the line. I'm too nice to interrupt, and I leave pleasant reviews because I'm too afraid to hurt someone's feelings. That's my fault, without question. But this happens all too often. Plus language barriers are REGULARLY a problem. The site and features are nice. The price is good too. But 8 out 10 Chegg tutor experiences leave me exasperated.

My first session should have been a warning flag. The tutor SAT there for 30 MINUTES (burning through my weekly subscription minutes, btw) while I was under the impression that he was evaluating my code (per his pretty clear implication), then after 30 minutes of silence, I asked if he was still examining... NOPE! "Oh, I was waiting on you." FOR 30 SILENT MINUTES OF CHARGED TIME?!? After I asked him to review my code, he said "OK", and somewhat got to it. I have canceled and re-subscribed WAY too many times. Seeing more professional tutors asking for higher prices is what steered me to less expensive Chegg. But then I tried an expensive one. Wow! Direct and to the point. And in the long run (minutes wise) CHEAPER. So from now on, I am going with quality. The upfront cost may seem off-putting, but a direct and immediate response to your SPECIFIC needs will leave you better off. TRUST ME!

Original review: April 27, 2018

For years my school used EasyBib to help our student with their citation needs. We subscribed for a few hundred dollars each year. In return we got a good functional product. Then Chegg took over eliminated the option to allow schools to subscribe and only allowed subscription on an individual basis for $10/month. This is both cumbersome and prohibitively expensive. I have asked and asked for a change. It seems that bombarding students with distracting ads is more lucrative than subscriptions -- but I don't know because they never have responded to any of my requests and concerns. Chegg has bought up almost all of the citation makers (BibMe, CitationMachine...). Super lame and disappointing that programs intended for students and for education is exploiting them for profit. Please bring back the subscription model so we can continue to use EasyBib, otherwise we'll all be forced to use NoodleTools.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Throughout my experience with Chegg Study I have found that the product really never lives up to my expectations for something that I pay so much for monthly (we all know the student struggle, $15 per month adds up fast). It is really unbelievable how many incorrect answers there are even in the textbook solutions area, I am pretty sure there are more incorrect answers than correct ones. Not to mention the Q and A. If you go to this so called "expert Q&A" section to get help with a problem that doesn't have a textbook solution, you could have 3 different people solve it and they will all come up with different answers of course accompanied by illegible handwritten work. It really seems like the questions are being answered by incompetent high school chemistry students, not advanced college students, and most certainly not professors.

You would think that charging so much for the service they would be able to afford to get real professors who know what they're doing to write the answers, but nay, they insist on utilizing idiots. Anyways, that being said, this service has enabled my laziness and probably actually hurt my grades in the class, needless to say I will be canceling my subscription and not returning to use it for OChem.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I took Chegg subscription around three months ago and they started billing for the tutoring as well which is around $15 extra every month and one of the months they charged me thrice and later refunded only two charges. I simply had to pay $30 without having to use any tutor service. Now that I got fed up with them I canceled my subscription and they have again charged me for the Chegg Study. They don't proper customer service. Nobody gives proper information.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I contacted Chegg in February 2018 because our instructor Pamela ** at SXU did not provide ANY instruction at all for Accounting (she just posted which chapters to read in a book and then submit assignments). So I contacted Chegg online to see if there was any instructor for Cost Management. They emailed me: 'unfortunately, we do not have instructors for this subject'. To me, that was it. The end. But no, to my surprise, I see Chegg charged my credit card $15! when they did not provide me any service at all. It has been a nightmare! They still charge me and I need to dispute the charges all the time. Contacting Chegg is impossible as they do not answer the phone. I am writing the review so that nobody goes through the experience I went through (or am going through, as I do not know if this will be over).

Original review: March 20, 2018

I started using this for physics but it had multiple wrong answers. I have posted a lot of questions and have gotten two correct answers. It has actually gotten me worse grades. I would not recommend this to anyone. They are insulting with their answers. I will post two of my worst experiences. I posted a two part question and the answerer told me that they are only required to answer one part. Ok, I was a little irritated since they weren't even long questions and I was just posting them for quality control and confirmation since I already had a good idea with what the answer was.

That person got it wrong anyway. Another time I posted a question that required thought and not only did it take 8 hours, but the answerer answered an entirely different question. I am not kidding, I posted the paper that asked the question, yet they answered a completely different question. It was supposed to be a series of diagrams but they explained something that was completely different. I really can't believe how awful this service is.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I continue to be charged for an account that I have deactivated and don’t use. I have worked through unhelpful online steps and have called their customer support three times with no help. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Update I got through to customer service but they were no help with a refund.

Original review: March 14, 2018

When I searched questions on Google it was showing, me that Chegg have answers for your questions. So I subscribed it and had no answer at all. They want us to subscribe for their online tutors and get ripped off again. So **... scammers. They may use my credit cards details in future. That's why I am going to cancel my credit card now.

Chegg.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs