Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.54/5

415 Chegg.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I have rented a couple of textbooks from Chegg. They have always come when expected in great condition. I recently ordered a rental. I was charged shipping, though the order was over the minimum amount so shipping should have been free. Since I was in a rush, I just paid the shipping cost. Then, a couple days later I got an email from Chegg that they were reimbursing me for the shipping cost! Chegg reached out to me completely on their own- I hadn't called, emailed, or anything. I was so impressed with their customer service!! I highly recommend using Chegg!

Original review: May 8, 2019

First I was like man.... How am I going to afford to get through this round of nursing school because my books are like $2000 and I'm getting real tired of eating ramen noodles. So I was like I'm gonna shop around and see what kind of deals I can cut. I wanted to make sure my next source was reliable because the last website I used only costed me $5 to rent a book but it was pretty sketchy because they sent me a link to download this book in my email and it came from an old nursing home in Hawaii. It was really weird, anyway... I found Chegg and I was like this could be nice, so I went ahead and ordered what I needed.

The book got to me in 1 day AND it came with a Redbull! I mean if I drank a red bull, I would be an example patient that they talk about in this psych book I rented because I can't handle caffeine very well, but I was like this is so awesome! Long story short, I let my 6 year old brother have the red bull and I got to buy myself some nice sushi for dinner instead of ramen noodles with all the money I saved by using Chegg.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 7, 2019

No long menu, 5 second wait time to talk to an actual person, representative was kind, fast, and helpful, was able to refund the charge I called about. (Even though I didn't ask for it, AND it was my own negligence!) Honestly floored by how positive this experience was so I had to write a review somewhere.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Not sure why there are an overwhelming amount of one star reviews. I've used Chegg for years and not once have I EVER had a dissatisfactory encounter. No funny charges have been placed on my account, I've never used their tutor/homework service, nor have I ever had to sell a book back to them. They've always received my textbooks on time, and I've always gotten books that have been in good shape, even if they're used. Chegg is a good company, with good prices for textbooks and I'll continue to use them until they give me a reason not to.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Clearly, Chegg has some books that are significantly less money than buying from the school bookstore. I usually buy 2-3 books and find myself spending at most $50-$60. Shipping is free on orders of $50 or more and sometimes they have other deals and discounts. They ship your books right to you and then when you need to return the books, you just print out the shipping label they provide and it is prepaid, so you don't have to pay to ship them back, and why should you when they're the ones who want the books back?

The rental period is longer than a semester, so you can even order your books early and worry about having to return them while you still need them. Usually the books have some highlighting or some indication of use, but are in acceptable condition. I did receive one book this semester that was in awful condition. When I wrote to customer service they got back to me quickly, decided to send me a new book, and refunded my money for the inconvenience. I haven't been disappointed by this textbook service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Linked account with Facebook. It asks me to verify it's me by entering my password before a tutoring session, and every password I enter is wrong. I'm assuming it would be my facebook password considering I just linked accounts and it never asked for me to create one. On top of that their phone lines go down too early, I'm at class and or work all day. The only time I could ever fix this would be at night. Rip my first and last payment of 15 dollars I got like one answer out of.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I have been attempting to order an e-textbook rental from this company to no avail. Their website is having issues on their end so I called their customer service line. The rep who answered my call could not get my email correct. I had to repeat it multiple times and spell it for them 2-3 times as well before they finally got it correct. Then they said they couldn't find any orders. Which was completely dumb because I had already stated that I was having problems placing my order. This reps only advice was to try again tomorrow and see if their site works then or to find my textbook elsewhere. None of this was any kind of useful. I then asked about taking a customer service survey about my experience since it's been so terrible. He says that only people who have placed an order can get the link to take the survey. This whole thing has been unacceptable. Honestly, based on this experience I don't know why anyone would use this company.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

1st experience and it will be the last one with this company. Placed an online order for a textbook I should have received already. When I spoke with them they told me there's no record showing it was shipped because it was being shipped from a 3rd party and I should receive it today. Then I get an email saying they do not know when I will be receiving it. I DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY AND YOU SHOULD NOT EITHER! THEY ARE SHADY AND THEY ARE LIARS!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Using Chegg is a risk to your academic career, your school can contact Chegg at any time and get exactly what you accessed and looked at and time your on. Basically if you use anything other then buying books, you can get in trouble for cheating. Chegg will throw you under the bus.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I actually forgot that I was subscribed to Chegg Study for two months and they STILL refunded the two charges after I sent them a desperate tweet. Can’t get a better return policy than that, anywhere.

Chegg.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs