2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.55/5

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: May 20, 2020

Chegg tutors answered my call in less than 3 minutes holding, granted I happened to be calling as soon as their office opened so the line was likely shorter than usual. Once I got on the phone I explained the billing issue I had experienced and the representative did not hesitate to offer me a full refund and credit to my account. Overall, it was a customer service experience on the tier of Amazon.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I am a mature (middle-aged) graduate school student. When an illness and death in my immediate family forced me to take an unexpected leave of absence from my studies early in the semester, Chegg graciously accepted my return of three rental textbooks and gave me a full refund -- even though I returned these way outside the 21 day return window. I offered to pay the return shipping on the books, but they paid for that, also. I am extremely grateful for their compassion and flexibility and will use them again when I return to school in a year.

Get buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I had an issue with Chegg study charging my account after I rented a textbook from them. I called and within 10 seconds the issue was fixed since they have my phone number associated with my account. Absolutely fabulous customer service! I've never been on the phone with a company for such a short period of time (literally 30 seconds) with my issue fully resolved. Their textbooks are also cheap, in good condition, and timely and Chegg Study is very helpful. Couldn't recommend them enough!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have purchased all of my textbooks for the last 5 years of college through Chegg. Every book they send me is in good condition and in a timely manner. They make returns easy and fast as well. I recently had an issue with miscommunication between books being returned. I only had to speak with one person, and she was very kind. They immediately fixed the problem with no issues or arguments.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I have rented a couple of textbooks from Chegg. They have always come when expected in great condition. I recently ordered a rental. I was charged shipping, though the order was over the minimum amount so shipping should have been free. Since I was in a rush, I just paid the shipping cost. Then, a couple days later I got an email from Chegg that they were reimbursing me for the shipping cost! Chegg reached out to me completely on their own- I hadn't called, emailed, or anything. I was so impressed with their customer service!! I highly recommend using Chegg!

Original review: July 3, 2020

I was informed there was a breach of information, signed to join a class action lawsuit and they decided to close my account, take away access to my online rented book halfway through my course, refuse me a refund, and not answer any questions beyond directing me to a the lawyer for a lawsuit. What a way to do business. All while never giving me warning of what was about to happen. NEVER using them again!

Original review: June 24, 2020

Chegg is itself a cheating website. They have all the useful textbook solutions but of course, other than the textbook solutions, every other question that we post related to college comes under cheating because it is the college's property. Chegg helps students with cheating and colleges in an academic integrity investigation. Why would Chegg accept questions in the first place and later help professors? And they claim that they can give any personal information which is against a person's privacy. They either should have strict rules of what to post and delete the questions that look like college's property or it should be banned.

Original review: June 19, 2020

My daughter signed up for the subscription service which was really a waste of time. We cancelled the service 2 months later but they kept charging us. Even though I had changed my credit card number, the charges from Chegg still went through. I called and they would only refund me the last few months and not the entire 9 month period she had not used the service even though they could confirm she had not logged in for 9 months. Make sure if you dare sign up for their service that you watch your credit card and have your credit card company block them after you cancel.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I got the monthly subscription service for my son who is in college and he can barely use it because it is constantly suspended for "suspicious activity". So it ends up being $14.95/mo for nothing. My advice...Don't waste your money unless you only have one device and are planning to use it in the same location all the time. My son goes back and forth between his college dorm and home and like most college students has multiple devices (2-laptops, iPad, iPhone), and our home computer. Especially now with the COVID-19 pandemic and classes are all online he has been coming home more.

I tried explaining this to the representative and they wouldn't do anything. They refused to reactivate the account (despite the fact I am PAYING for the service) and they wouldn't cancel it over the phone or refund me my monthly subscription fee. What am I paying for if my son can't even use the account when he needs it. Their policy is absurd. He is not "sharing" his account but to think someone will only use one device in the same location all the time is unreasonable. My advice...Don't bother getting the subscription...You'll never have access to use it.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I was using Chegg for a long time now. But they suspended my account time to time saying that my account was shared used account. I changed the password and protected it without anyone knowing it. Even after that they keep suspending my account saying different stories like I have used so many tabs, I haven't logged out properly so and so. Then I thought ok it might be my fault and I kept a keen eye on everything and did everything as they said. Then they suspended my account as soon as logged in without me doing anything. I just had time to log into my account only.

The next thing happened was I got a email saying that my account was suspended. I don't know why they do this to people. And this is my education they are ruining. There's no way to talk to them either. I tried to calling their number in America while I'm in Australia without thinking of the cost. But even that number didn't work. I paid for the upcoming month 4 days ago. Even I can't get my money back now. Poor service. I won't ever recommend this site to anyone.

Chegg.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team