2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.09/5

Paying too much for Car Insurance?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Chegg.com Reviews

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I had an issue with Chegg study charging my account after I rented a textbook from them. I called and within 10 seconds the issue was fixed since they have my phone number associated with my account. Absolutely fabulous customer service! I've never been on the phone with a company for such a short period of time (literally 30 seconds) with my issue fully resolved. Their textbooks are also cheap, in good condition, and timely and Chegg Study is very helpful. Couldn't recommend them enough!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have purchased all of my textbooks for the last 5 years of college through Chegg. Every book they send me is in good condition and in a timely manner. They make returns easy and fast as well. I recently had an issue with miscommunication between books being returned. I only had to speak with one person, and she was very kind. They immediately fixed the problem with no issues or arguments.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I have rented a couple of textbooks from Chegg. They have always come when expected in great condition. I recently ordered a rental. I was charged shipping, though the order was over the minimum amount so shipping should have been free. Since I was in a rush, I just paid the shipping cost. Then, a couple days later I got an email from Chegg that they were reimbursing me for the shipping cost! Chegg reached out to me completely on their own- I hadn't called, emailed, or anything. I was so impressed with their customer service!! I highly recommend using Chegg!

Original review: May 8, 2019

First I was like man.... How am I going to afford to get through this round of nursing school because my books are like $2000 and I'm getting real tired of eating ramen noodles. So I was like I'm gonna shop around and see what kind of deals I can cut. I wanted to make sure my next source was reliable because the last website I used only costed me $5 to rent a book but it was pretty sketchy because they sent me a link to download this book in my email and it came from an old nursing home in Hawaii. It was really weird, anyway... I found Chegg and I was like this could be nice, so I went ahead and ordered what I needed.

The book got to me in 1 day AND it came with a Redbull! I mean if I drank a red bull, I would be an example patient that they talk about in this psych book I rented because I can't handle caffeine very well, but I was like this is so awesome! Long story short, I let my 6 year old brother have the red bull and I got to buy myself some nice sushi for dinner instead of ramen noodles with all the money I saved by using Chegg.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Not sure why there are an overwhelming amount of one star reviews. I've used Chegg for years and not once have I EVER had a dissatisfactory encounter. No funny charges have been placed on my account, I've never used their tutor/homework service, nor have I ever had to sell a book back to them. They've always received my textbooks on time, and I've always gotten books that have been in good shape, even if they're used. Chegg is a good company, with good prices for textbooks and I'll continue to use them until they give me a reason not to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

Chegg cancelled my account after two days of signing up and using it. They let me know via email which actually lamented MY cancelation of my account and asking if they might "change your mind" I found out later that Chegg cancelled and deleted my account, without warning, with no appeal or specific information because the account demonstrated activity that MAY indicate multiple users. I had never shared my information over those two days. I was never advised there was suspicious activity or advised my account might be breached.

They just blamed me immediately. However, THE REFUND was only issued after being on hold for over an hour after discovering what had actually happened. How many students have they done this to? A good deal. Check Facebook, Twitter, and the Better Business Bureau. And many students may not ask for refunds, ESPECIALLY if they are forced to be on hold for more than a few minutes. I think a class action lawsuit is in order. Use Yahoo Answers, Quizlet, and forums for homework help and Amazon for book rentals. Chegg has turned into a real scam.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I paid for an account 4 days ago and I am not able to use it at the moment. Their customer service does not respond to my email neither do their phonecalls go through. I feel scammed, frustrated, furious, angry and depressed. Thank you Chegg for making my life horrible. I wish nothing but the worst to whoever is running this fraud company and swindling me as well as many other people from our hard earned money.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Beware!!! All the books were missing pages, all the labs were ripped out, all of the codes were bad. Never buy or rent from them! They have a bunch of kids answering phones and they do not give a ** if they rent or sell you books with missing pages, missing labs, and bad codes!!! By the time you get the books it too late!!! They won’t refund you and they will keep charging your credit card and PayPal! Do not let them get hold of your PayPal or your credit card number!!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2020

They try to scam college students that do not know how to manage money by using deceiving cancellation policies and allow the tutors to scam people by overcharging for more time than was actually used. For example, one tutor said he would provide the "cheapest help out there" (verbatim), then asked for a 2 hour lesson that he completed in 13 minutes, then a 3 hour lesson. Hmm...

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Sent in a book which was received in October - no response over a couple of months finally in January someone advised book was received and payment was issued. Now February and they advise book was unsalable and they would send it back. Pretty sure they sold my book and are sending me someone else's book because they don't want to pay the money. DO NOT BUY OR SELL BOOKS THROUGH CHEGG. THEY ARE NOTHING BUT CROOKS. IF I COULD PUT NEGATIVE STARS I WOULD HAVE.

Not sure about Chegg.com?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Chegg.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team