3.59/5

405 Chegg.com Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 8, 2019

First I was like man.... How am I going to afford to get through this round of nursing school because my books are like $2000 and I'm getting real tired of eating ramen noodles. So I was like I'm gonna shop around and see what kind of deals I can cut. I wanted to make sure my next source was reliable because the last website I used only costed me $5 to rent a book but it was pretty sketchy because they sent me a link to download this book in my email and it came from an old nursing home in Hawaii. It was really weird, anyway... I found Chegg and I was like this could be nice, so I went ahead and ordered what I needed.

The book got to me in 1 day AND it came with a Redbull! I mean if I drank a red bull, I would be an example patient that they talk about in this psych book I rented because I can't handle caffeine very well, but I was like this is so awesome! Long story short, I let my 6 year old brother have the red bull and I got to buy myself some nice sushi for dinner instead of ramen noodles with all the money I saved by using Chegg.

Original review: March 7, 2019

No long menu, 5 second wait time to talk to an actual person, representative was kind, fast, and helpful, was able to refund the charge I called about. (Even though I didn't ask for it, AND it was my own negligence!) Honestly floored by how positive this experience was so I had to write a review somewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Not sure why there are an overwhelming amount of one star reviews. I've used Chegg for years and not once have I EVER had a dissatisfactory encounter. No funny charges have been placed on my account, I've never used their tutor/homework service, nor have I ever had to sell a book back to them. They've always received my textbooks on time, and I've always gotten books that have been in good shape, even if they're used. Chegg is a good company, with good prices for textbooks and I'll continue to use them until they give me a reason not to.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Clearly, Chegg has some books that are significantly less money than buying from the school bookstore. I usually buy 2-3 books and find myself spending at most $50-$60. Shipping is free on orders of $50 or more and sometimes they have other deals and discounts. They ship your books right to you and then when you need to return the books, you just print out the shipping label they provide and it is prepaid, so you don't have to pay to ship them back, and why should you when they're the ones who want the books back?

The rental period is longer than a semester, so you can even order your books early and worry about having to return them while you still need them. Usually the books have some highlighting or some indication of use, but are in acceptable condition. I did receive one book this semester that was in awful condition. When I wrote to customer service they got back to me quickly, decided to send me a new book, and refunded my money for the inconvenience. I haven't been disappointed by this textbook service.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I bought a book from my school library, it was a psychology book that I spent over a 100 dollars on. I wanted to sell it to Chegg which they were going to buy from me for 20.00 dollars, my school would have probably paid me more but I didn't want to wait for next year until they have the event. So I sent them the book, they send me back saying that the book is unauthorized copy and that they won't send me the money or my money back. I understand if they don't want to send the money but I don't understand why they won't send me the book back.. I don't understand why I have to lose my money when I can send it back to my school. I should get my money back and they can contact the school or stop the circulation somehow but for me to lose my money and my book, it is just isn't fair. I felt that they stole the money from me especially that my school would have bought it back from me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: June 13, 2019

We did our very first textbook rental and this will be our last time to rent or buy from Chegg.com. On website and shipping slip, stated it would come with online access code (VISTAS 5E SE+SSPLUS VTXT), but no code upon receiving the book, so it made the rental useless. Called the customer service. I was told online access code was not guarantee regardless what description on its website and shipping slip, really misleading, almost like scam. Return the book right way. Hopefully we can get full refund. Never deal with Chegg.com again. Absolutely not recommended.

Original review: May 30, 2019

I had mixed results doing searches for information on homework assignments. Apparently, any person can submit their homework to Chegg for free points -- HOWEVER, IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT ANY OF THEIR SUBMISSIONS ARE CORRECT! No checks the submitted homework for accuracy! I'm really struggling with my Managerial Accounting and Financial Corporate Accounting classes -- so, I haven't canceled Chegg yet. I requested a tutor help and the first tutor (who was excellent) charged me $15.00 which was immediately deducted from my checking account.

THEN, I tried again the next week for tutoring help (for written lesson to be submitted back to me -- NOT online, LIVE help). Chegg, then, immediately charged my checking account $90.00. Now, I've been getting random deductions from my banking account every 5-7 days. So, when I no longer need any thing at all from Chegg, I will eventually do what I did with a very similar, nasty over-billing fraud site you may have hear of: COURSE HERO! When Course Hero gave me the run around and refused to cancel my account or fraudulent billing to my bank account, here's what I did and got IMMEDIATE RESULTS!

HERE IS WHAT EVERYONE WHO IS BEING FRAUDULENTLY BILLED SHOULD DO:

1) Look up the corporate address and contact info. for Chegg.com and write it down -- you will need it. I believe it is in Santa Clara, CA.

2) Go the the California Better Business Bureau (located in San Francisco) and click on submit a formal complaint. Fill out all of the necessary info. (be as descriptive and detailed as possible). Click File the Complaint. By the way, I live in Massachusetts, but you have to contact the BBB site where the company headquarters is located for legal reasons. Not, the state that you live in.

3) BBB will email you back assigning your complaint an ID number. Now, except for a few exceptions, the BBB will contact the company you just complained about and show them your official complaint submitted to them. The BBB will act on your behalf -- you don't have to do a thing!! The BBB will either ask them to choose a mediation approach. They have to make it in writing to the BBB who will then forward it to you to either accept, or decline if it doesn't satisfy you.

What happened to me is that Course Hero got so freaked out by me officially complaining to the California BBB they immediately chose mediation and wrote that they would reverse all charges immediately! It only took a few days! Then, Course Hero emailed me back to assure me all charges would be reversed. I again, told them in my response that if I didn't see the reversed charges in 3 days, I will contact the BBB again. WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!

Original review: May 27, 2019

On their website they said you can subscribe and cancel, get a refund. So I did, it cost $16.28. After 30 min I didn't find material I needed so I canceled. It happened April 21 and now May 26, I still not receive the refund. It's only 16.28 but it's fraud. I'm very upset about this. Now as I am writing the review, I came back and read their disclaimer: it states that "Cancellations take effect at the next billing period. Subscription fees are not refundable and unused subscription benefits expire and do not roll over to subsequent months.”

Original review: May 16, 2019

I called Chegg today to cancel my subscription to their services and I had told them I forgot my email and needed to cancel it immediately because I had just gotten charged again. Their customer service lady was rude and kept talking to me like I was wasting her time when I kept telling her I don't know the email. Finally she said "just give me the last 4 digits of the card and the name" after 10 minutes of going back and forth saying I don't know what the email was. Horrible experience and I am never subscribing to Chegg again.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Spent last hour trying to unsubscribe. Can't find the option as it shows in faqs. Very rude customer service. You will find what seems to a a solution to your question doing a Google search. Once you pay for the subscription, you will find that the document actually is not a solution or helpful in any way. Chegg doesn't care! Once they got your money their opinion is, "Tough luck suckers!! We just got at least one month of fees out of you. More if you don't take the hours to unsubscribe." Joke site! Enter at your own risk, some people like to learn the hard way.

Original review: April 30, 2019

Chegg is like a really small scam. They provide tutorial but they just steal your money even after you stopped the contract. If anyone Is reading this DON'T MAKE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM. They are not even responding to my emails.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I went to UPS and they packaged my items to send out, but they mixed up the packages. Wanted return books because I’m in college and along with sneakers I was trying to sell. I told UPS lady and she said she’d retape for me. Both were stated as delivered but when I tried to get my shoes back from Chegg, they claimed they never got the package. So basically I wasted multiple months talking to customer service which were always young workers who seemed to never allow me to talk to a supervisor or manager. They would have me repeat the horrible experience I went through every time I called and basically told me the same thing every time. I would tell them the color, the box, every single thing about my item and still wouldn’t take any action upon it. Repeatedly stated that they couldn’t do anything about it & they would tell me they started an investigation but never would contact me.

The longer I waited and thought they were actually trying to retrieve my shoes, They never reached out to me. Very frustrating trying to get MY SHOES back that I SHIPPED. If it’s someone’s belongings, I hope they would ship them back. Even the workers said they get phones, keys, electronics, almost anything and claim they always get them back to the customer. So why not my shoes? Now I’m not saying they were thiefs, but it’s a little ridiculous how I had a confirmation that my shipment was sent and left at the Chegg warehouse but they would tell me it wasn’t there. You see what that looks like? A bit fishy to me.

And after all this nonsense & miscommunication & lack of customer service. I never got my shoes back, no cash value honored, even though I told them how much they were. I got the books back from the other company and still returned it. So why couldn’t they go through the trouble for me? As I’ve stated, I’m a college student, don’t rely on this company for your textbooks. There’s other ways to access what you need in college. Save the time and hassle, trust me you’ll thank me.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Okay. I'm a struggling college student who decided to sign up for Chegg last year. I was willing to pay the $15 or so every month until my class ended. Once it ended, I decided to stop the monthly payments but Chegg was still charging my account. I tried to delete my card from their records but they require at least one card of payment for the account (which is a giant red flag and doesnt make any sense).

Long story short, I call Chegg and get my account totally deleted with all info erased and they said they would send a confirmation email when everything was set. I got the email and verified it. I recently check my bank account and find that Chegg, after all my info was supposedly deleted, is STILL charging my account. I was expecting to pay $15 for about 3 months of classes.

This ordeal has turned into a year long event, while I've been watching my bank account slowly crumble. Now I have $1 and some change left in my account thanks to these scam artists. I'm going to my bank today to get a new card and making sure Chegg cannot touch it. This company takes advantage of students and sucks them dry of any money they have in their personal accounts. I'm beyond pissed at this point, considering I don't even hold an account with Chegg anymore but somehow I'm still being charged.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I made an account on March 1st, and I wanted to cancel it around the middle of March so I wouldn't get charged the 14.95 in April. Well, Chegg's "Dont leave now, we'll offer it for 4.95 next month if you stay" showed up, so I kept it because whats $5 correct? Well, it's April 1st and guess what? I was charged the 14.95. Chegg is a bogus company and a scam. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting it, all they care about is your money. Plus, I know a lot of people who keep getting charged for no reason, so be careful.

Original review: March 22, 2019

We used this source for my son's school and it has been charging the account for a year now and cannot get it cancelled under any circumstances. This is totally fraudulent and unacceptable. I have tried on numerous occasions to cancel and not one time have they been able to 'locate the account' despite providing all details acceptable to any respectable business. There has to be a way to stop this and get the charge off of my account.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Chegg kept charging my credit card for a year for a book subscription that my daughter used for a senior year course. She used my credit card to for this book subscription, but the company continued to charge me for the subscription monthly even when cancelled upon her graduation. I disputed the charges with my credit card company after I was unable to contact the company. The credit card company responded stating the subscription was legitimate and they continued to charge my account. I then reported fraud to my credit card company and got a new card number, and Chegg was still able to charge my account. The Chegg website will not allow you to delete the credit card information. This company is deceptive and fraudulent.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I paid for my son's Chegg account and would like to remove my payment info from his account, but Chegg's policy states that they require one payment info for their service. Even when I paid already for their service, they gave me the option to close my son's account or remove all its associated data should I choose to remove my payment info.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

They advertise they assist with homework, you see it everywhere in their commercials from email to Pandora (They don't hide it). I send the tutor a copy of the homework for assistance, at his request mind you because he needs to see it in order to help, they then deactivate my account later on that day, locked me out of my notes, and trashed my prepaid hours of tutoring I had left to then provide no refund. They claimed I violated their policy of requesting help on a homework/ graded assignment, they phrase it as a graded assignment in this context of course but it clearly says "homework 1" at the top of it...

They notify me by email, trashing me as a person, obviously not directly but with a professional hint behind the word-usage, but they did accuse me of being of poor moral character, even going as far as bringing in the word "Honor" as if they were setting the standard themselves. I reply to them by email after that simply requesting for an explanation on their side, while I provided about an essay worth of an explanation on my side of the story to provide them with some perspective.

I then get a response back saying they can assure me I'm wrong and they did conduct an in-depth investigation on my case, they aren't gonna look more into my case though as they clearly stated... They said they obviously didn't need to. Concluding with "please refrain from messaging them again on this case". Possibly the shadiest company I've dealt with to date, one that charges you for their services to then take your money and claim you are the terrible person.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Never... and I mean never do business with this company. I bought my book from the publisher a year ago and sold it to Chegg. They told me the book was not authentic and had to send the book to the publisher. I told them I bought it from the publisher, but they said they would not return the book. They are keeping the books and reselling them to get 100% profit. Please, and I mean please, don’t use Chegg. They will steal your book, not answer your emails, and I demanded I speak to a supervisor and they told me they couldn’t get anyone on the line. CRIMINALS! I warned you, so don’t be surprised when you get burned by them.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

They took my book and NEVER paid me. BBB here I come! I called and called. I only spoke to the most uneducated, ignorant children who knew NOTHING. They kept putting me on hold and kept telling me "the checks in your account." Except I have NO account!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I rented a textbook for a class that I was taking online. I paid to have the book expedited. After I did not receive the book on the day I was supposed to, I contacted Chegg. I was told "Oh yeah the book was returned to us because it was damaged, would you like to reorder it?" No email, no phone call to let me know that I would not be receiving the book. No apology, just "So would you like to reorder." So unprofessional!! That was my first and last time using this company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I was a tutor with InstaEdu for years before Chegg bought them out. In August 2018, I wanted to add a new subject to my list. However, I was already maxed out at 40 subjects. I tried multiple methods to remove some subjects myself, before I finally decided to contact Chegg about the issue in September. Now, 4 emails and 1 phone call later, they have done absolutely nothing to resolve the issue, instead responding to every single one of my correspondences with a slightly different paraphrasing of "We're sorry about the issue and your frustration. We have no timeline to fix it. Our team is aware. Let us know if you have any further questions." To anyone thinking of tutoring online through Chegg, please reconsider and take your valuable brains elsewhere. To those considering receiving tutoring through Chegg, please be aware that the tutors are treated horrendously.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have no account with Chegg, nor have I ever done business with this entity. Yesterday, I noticed a $41.48 charge on my credit card associated with this company; I tried calling them, but their phone was either disconnected or changed. I reported this charge as fraud, and had to replace my credit card. Obviously, this is a recurring problem with this company, as I found many people complaining about unauthorized credit card charges.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

In October I sold a textbook to Chegg. After not hearing anything for weeks after they received it, I contacted them. They claimed to have sent my book to the publisher for authentication, a book I purchased at the campus bookstore. Here we are three months later and they are still claiming it is with the publisher. They are thieves. A book previously returned to me had their store stickers on it, they had intended to keep and sell my book.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I paid for my daughter's books over a year ago. This year she paid for her books herself and didn't send them back in time so they charged her. When she didn't have enough money in her account they charged my card from over a year ago. I never gave permission for this and my card number that they had on file for me has since expired but they found a way to use it anyway. When I called them they explained that they NEVER take a card number off of an account. They will deactivate my card but if this happens to my daughter next year guess what THEY WILL DO IT AGAIN. My only option is to call my bank and cancel the card altogether. What a complete illegal racket.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I rented a textbook for a pretty decent price. I returned the book on time, and they still charged me $200 for the textbook claiming that they never received the rented textbook back. - I'm still in college and needed that $200 for so many other things. - Additionally, I rented an Ebook from and every 5th page was blurry to the point I couldn't not read the information on the page. When I went to customer service the first guy said that nothing was wrong, the second lady told me that they would fix it within 10 days. It was never fixed, and when I tried to follow up with the company there was no record of me talking to anyone or requesting help. - TERRIBLY RUN COMPANY. THEY WILL CHEAT YOU OUT OF MONEY. The prices look good, but there are WAY more trustworthy companies out there. I hope this helps someone from getting robbed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I sold books back to Chegg in July 2018. I waited for a month to receive a $200 check but it never arrived. I contacted Chegg and they said they made a mistake and would send a check out. This has been going on every other month and still no check. It is now Jan 2019 and now I'm being told I have to send a copy of my bank statement from July until now showing I never received a check. I'm at a loss on what to do now.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I was very disappointed about this website, as they blocked an amount of money my card and after they charge me again the same amount of money. The costs are too high for the quality of support they are offering. I needed help with Java so besides the fact that the tutor did not know Java very well, he was going on for three hours so that cost me $75 and he messed up my initial code as well.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Keep charging my credit card for over a year about a service that my son never used or asked for "to the best of his knowledge". My wife used her credit card to rent a book for my daughter, Chegg.com cancelled the order because they don't have the book anymore yet her card was charged, when we called them they say to check with the bank. This company are bunch of thieves and manipulators, never use them. I will make sure that no one that I know will ever use their service.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Chegg would not give me a refund for a service my son was locked out of but continued to charge my account for seven more months and will only give me one month refund. Terrible customer service. Spoke to Shirley's supervisor who would not give me his supervisor, because "they" don't take calls. So unprofessional. Such a ripoff. So disappointed in this company. It's college students using their service. Pathetic how they screw them. Would not recommend to ANYONE EVER! Bad business tactics. Disgusted.

Chegg.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs