Chegg.com

Compare Textbook Rental Companies

Research top Textbook Rental Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I sold college books to Chegg. It took a few weeks to get a check and it was not for the full amount. When I called the rep admitted it was an error on their part. I waited over a month and no check. I called and was on hold for more than 30 minutes only to be told that they had not processed anything. Still waiting on check.

I used quite often when I was in college. It was a cost effective alternative to buying my books. Also, they almost always had the books I needed in stock. I liked the fact that I could rent books for different lengths of time, since I took a lot of intersession classes throughout the year. Other perks: free gifts (usually red bull), discount codes, free shipping and so on.

I bought a subscription to the Chegg Study service. I wanted to make sure that during my course, my homework explored the whole spectrum of the questions I was assigned. This book that I speak of asks very loaded questions with many parts to them. So with Chegg Study is advertises 'Textbook Solutions' which led me to believe that these were the answers in the back of the book for like a 'Teacher's edition'. Well, I learned on the first chapter I used the service on that these were not textbook answers and almost seem like they were written by other college students who did not read the material. After having read the chapter already, I was willing to help Chegg with Chapters (The first 11 chapters of 16) knowing that the help was eventually going to get better. In my opinion, it actually did the opposite.

The further I go into this book, the more unsubstantiated the answers are becoming to the point that I am doing more work proving why the answers are wrong to Chegg (with page numbers and figures/diagrams that blatantly disagree with the answer Chegg gives). I've been fair by trudging through this far into the book, to see if the help gets better and it hasn't. I'll also consider trying Chegg Study with another book with the same attitude that I had going into this book. Overall I am dissatisfied because I thought I was getting one thing and I got something else. The only reason that this is getting more than 1 star is because with the wrong answers. It gave me more incentive to go from knowing that an answer was wrong to exactly why it was wrong down to the sentence.

I was charged well after I'd returned the books. Woke up to find my checking account $310 in the hole. Look into Chegg and find that several people had been billed up to 5 times even after they'd turned their books in. Contacted customer service, was largely ignored and fed canned answers. Wouldn't recommend this service to anyone.

I ordered the textbooks I need from the Chegg website, then it's shipped to me in 2 days, and includes the return shipping label I needed to send it back when I was done. I like that I'm not required to buy a $300 textbook that I only need for 1 semester. I didn't find this until my 2nd semester unfortunately, otherwise I could have saved a lot of money that I spent on textbooks. Chegg was a great value for the money compared to purchasing a book I'd only use for a short period of time. I'd suggest more advertising, though, like on TV.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

They have the best prices with great service that is second to none. Also they seem to have all the books that I need and can get them ordered if they don't. I really love their customer service as well.

Chegg.com offer tutoring and solutions help for questions. Their homework help is easy to access and the tutoring is around the clock. Also, their textbook rentals have the solutions for it for a monthly subscription. But some of the books are priced not much lower than a book you can purchase. Their prices are seemingly dynamic. I also don't like how some of the books that would be really helpful with a solutions guide actually does not have a solutions guide. Nevertheless, their process is completely easy and simple. You pay shipping for one way and they email you a return label, all you have to do is drop it off to the nearest UPS. Shipping is fair and rental time is more than enough.

I have been purchasing books from Chegg for years and I have never experienced such foolishness from how their system is set up now. I purchased 3 books on a Friday that totaled to 1 amount which I paid. I was headed to the store on Saturday to grocery shop and like normal people do I checked my account so I can know how much to spend and noticed that my account was in the negative because Chegg took more money out of my account that was not authorized.

Surprisingly they can steal your money out on a Saturday but they are not open on the weekend to discuss why! So unfortunately no grocery shopping for me and my 3 children that I have to feed Chegg! So I patiently waited and called this morning only for a Representative to tell me that when books ship separately they charge more to your account. Huh? I was so confused as to why their website did not specify that if your books ship separately we are going to take more money out of your account to rip off our customers!

Now I have to wait up to 2 business days according to the rep to receive my money back but it only took them 1 day to put my account into the negative! Shoppers beware that Chegg will take more money out of your account that they are authorized to. SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT WHEN PURCHASING FROM CHEGG!!!! :((

It's very nice to have the return labels printable and not have to go through the hassle of getting at the post office. I hate people and don't want anything to do with them. The fewer people I have to come into contact with the better. They have much cheaper books than anywhere else, at least for these very specific books which are a scam and an abomination. They are still very expensive and I don't like paying that much for them. And although I recognize that Chegg is not a publishing company they still participate in the travesty that is textbook price gouging.

Renting was very easy with Chegg. First I requested the book and paid to use it for one semester and the book was sent to me that week. After I finish the semester I can request a return address label for easy shipping back to Chegg. I like Chegg because there is almost always the textbook my university required list. Often times it is less expensive than bookstore on campus! Another great thing is the ability to ask questions and get study help and answers through the Chegg website. However, sometimes the textbook are actually more expensive than they should be so it takes a lot of research to tell if you are actually getting a good deal.

I loved the Chegg website, and this probably drew me to the company the most. The website is user-friendly, they have very competitive prices, availability of books that are difficult to find, and promotions. My book was shipped to me in a timely manner, and came in good condition. I mailed the book back at my own expense in order to be sure it returned on time, as I had additional exams close to when the rental period ended. I would appreciate though the opportunity to extend my rental for a period of time for a discounted price. (Example: 2, 4, 6 weeks at a time). I found myself in a crunch to complete licensing that I needed my books for, but only for an additional week.

Chegg.com saved me a lot of money when I was in college. I rented most of my textbooks from them and only purchased a book when I absolutely had to. The returns were easy and free, making the process that much effortless. To start you go to the Chegg website and search for the book that you need. It lets you search by title, author, or ISBN on the homepage. From there you select your book that you need and checkout, just like buying anything else online. They send you the book and when you return it, you just send it back in any box with the prepaid shipping label that they send with the book. However, there were some times when I could not find a specific textbook that I needed for a class and that was frustrating. That is not to say that the selection is bad, it is just that they do not carry every book that you will need in college.

Overall Chegg was the vastly superior option in comparison to the listed alternatives in my experience... I liked the flexibility of my options to rent the textbooks at my own timeline and the ease of use in comparison to the larger companies like Amazon or textbooks where I found some confusion in the online selection process and checkout procedures. I felt Chegg was very user-friendly and simply laid out in its website and checkout was of utmost ease... The only drawback was the pricing was a little vague until you complete the final process.Very very good experience.

I like everything about it! I liked that you could search the exact book with a code in Chegg.com. I also liked being able to choose different features depending on the quality you need. It also helps if you actually have the ISBN number. If you do not, you can search by author or title. It has been my favorite textbook rental website that I have ever used. Actually, it's the only one that I haven't had at least one problem with. Return was very easy, too! I used the box it came in, and just printed off the new return label. And it didn't cost me anything extra.

Chegg is quick to fix any issues with the book and they almost always have the books that I need. It's also affordable to use Chegg and it's simple to find what I need and the entire process with them is pain-free. But sometimes, the books don't come by the timeline they're promised, the shipping is expensive to expedite and the books are badly worn. There is often writing in them, and some pages have been torn. It’s super easy to send back the book but sometimes the print return label doesn't cooperate as it should, which makes it impossible to send back without spending more money to have the label printed. Chegg should maybe include the return label so it doesn't have to be printed.

Chegg.com has a pretty decent buy back program where I could return my book and get money back. They also had a pretty decent selection of used books for fairly cheap. I wish though that there were cheaper rental and buying options for low income students. I also wish the online-only and downloadable book prices had been cheaper. Maybe if there was a way to share online books with other students so as to cut down on costs for individual students. So far, it has been fairly easy to find the book you need, buy or rent it and then resell it.

I like that online textbooks are available so one does not have to go to a store to get the book nor do they have to lug heavy books around. E-books also make studying easier and they have a large variety of different textbooks available to rent so it is easy to find the one you need. But there should be better interface to read the book once it has been rented, i.e. something more akin to a Kindle app where one can easily read the textbook and search its contents. This would be better instead of just reading the rented book through their website or just downloading the book as a plain file. The site also made it a bit difficult to find the exact book I was looking for, i.e. the edition of the book I needed as there were so many different versions of each book available and the titles were not entirely clear as to which is which. Also wish that one could search books by ISBN more readily and get better search results when doing so.

When I first started college I had no clue how to go about renting a textbook online so I did a search for textbook rentals and Chegg.com is the first company that came up. It was the first one I tried and they had what I needed. So far, everything was amazing. Everything is self explanatory and easy to follow instructions. I would recommend this company to everyone.

I'd price compare about six sites, then log in, select the book with a reasonable condition, pay, return the book after my term was over or a little later, and often get a coupon upon return for my next visit, which was handy and usually covered the taxes. Prices were good and Iiked buy back options for books I did purchase. However, the shipping was pricey. A lot of times the book was cheapest but had the most expensive shipping so I'd end up going with multiple companies to get all the best deals. It would be nice if there was price matching. Nonetheless, it was easy to send back and I liked how they didn't charge me if it came back a little late.

With Chegg, I locate the textbook I need by entering the ISBN, title or author's name and I can then view the rental price, or the price to buy the book. I then select the number of days I want to rent the book for. I can return the book if I drop or change classes within 3 weeks. The books are so much cheaper than buying; there are some textbooks I want to keep for reference, and some I will never look at again. Sometimes the book offered thru my school is not exactly the same as the one I receive from Chegg. But it could possibly be user error when selecting the book from Chegg. It does cause issues with assignments if the correct version isn't selected.

The time it took to receive the books was a proper time and the condition of the book wasn't bad. However, Chegg.com should always have an option of having a book overnighted and the website could describe maybe how many users used the book. They shouldn't sell books with missing pages and should categorize them better. Organize by years and maybe even classes... Make sample words you can input of class you're taking. Also, the process of renting and returning the books should give you at least half your money back if you return the book back in good condition or give you credit towards another one.

You go on Chegg's website and create an account using an email and a card. Then you search for the specific book you need and then you purchase it and they send it to you. It's a fairly simple process. I liked how Chegg had textbook solutions to go along with the problems asked in the book. They also have an option of selling back your textbooks. They also have options for looking up problems on their website and an expert in the subject will answer the question for you. For textbook rentals, the biggest issue is how expensive they are.

Chegg does a fine job in what they do as a company. One of the dopest. They care a lot about for the customer aka me and I am thankful for that. Also, I like that when you rent a book they also include a little free tide pods pack in the package for your business. But it would be nice if we didn't have to pay for the online answers service once we are already a repeat customer at Chegg. They know what they are doing. Let them do what they do.

Chegg.com has fair prices and many different textbooks to choose from. They are easy to use and it is easy to look for the book you need. You are also able to extend the time you need the book for and they send you samples with each order. Chegg.com is a fair and easy company to use for textbook rentals and their site works so well. It is a fast easy checkout, like any online shopping website and returning is easy. You print a prepaid slip out and tape it on the box they give you to send back and just drop it off at the post office.

I went to the Chegg website and I searched by ISBN. There are a wide variety of options. I reviewed the available listings based on price and quality and came to a decision. I paid online then I received and used the book. I returned the book with the provided barcode. Chegg is affordable and the shipping is easy. But it would be ideal if there were photos included in listings, keeping in mind that I have not used the service in several years. It would also be nice to be able to receive some sort of refund or discount/credit if the book is returned early.

Renting is a very simple process and they give you a list of instructions to follow so there is no confusion. If I do have an issue, they answer all the questions I have and it's not hard to handle. I love how Chegg.com always include an additional item to your packages. They have amazing customer service and the packages are hardly ever damaged when they arrive. They also make sure nothing is damaged inside. They are a great company. The only problem I have is slightly superficial, but sometimes when the package arrives, there's damages or the tape is slightly torn off.

I went to the site and it alerted me to search via ESBN, topic, title, and author. After fiber the text I could select which edition of the book I wanted, if I wanted a digital copy, ebook, CD, paperback or hardback portions as well as the rental term. I like the options to rent new or used books, CDs ebooks and digital books, how it shows your books related to the topic and course and to select a term for the rental. Some of the prices are outrageous, the return shipping prices, how they can't find all the books and/or editions, and the fact that you have to buy cd keys separately. But I've enjoyed Chegg, it's saved me a lot of money.

The process of renting is simple and it involves searching for your book, and then a simple checkout process where you put in your information and where you want it to be delivered. I like that they offer the most reasonable prices and that their website directly compares what other textbooks might cost at other places. You also get your books really fast compared to other places. However, some of their policies could be improved on, for example, if your book is destroyed then you have no obligation to send it back. This is a policy.

Chegg's web design was clean, concise and easy to navigate, plenty of books offered, reasonable prices, felt transaction was safe, book came quickly and was in excellent condition. I go online and search for the exact textbook that I am interested in renting, then it lists the books based on age and price. I select the one that I am interested in and simply add it to my cart and I can shop for as many books as I want and then proceed to checkout. I can also sell books through the same method.

I find the book I need to rent and choose how long I want to rent it for. Then they ship it to me and send me an electronic return label I can print when it is time to return it. When the time comes, I sign into my account, print the label and take the book to a shipping location to return. I like how affordable their rentals are, the variety of book quality, and how quickly they ship. I also like the ebook feature they have that allows me to save space and the hassle of shipping. They do also show you if it would be more affordable to buy the book outright instead of rent so you know all your options up front. I wish they had more of a variety of how long you can rent for with different price gradients. Sometimes my college semester lasts longer than they're willing to rent out the book and the extension fees to keep the book longer can be a bit outrageous so I often had to make do without the book early on.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.
  • Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.
  • Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.
  • Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.
  • Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.
  • Best for college and university students on a budget.

Compare Textbook Rental