1.97/5
Based on 96 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 21, 2018

342 Chegg.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

As stated by Christian of Upper Darby, PA, This service is very poor at cancelling subscription. The online portal refuse to let you cancel until after you have called their office. They go on and on about it being in their terms of conditions about being a non-refundable service. This is a very poor way of treating customers and I highly suggest not using their service.

Original review: May 4, 2018

These guys acts Fraudulently and should be ashamed of themselves, they tell you that you can cancel Subscription anytime BUT hey don't fall for that, they are FRAUD, they are SCAM and will eat your Money just like that. After you are in and you don't like what you see, you can never Cancel it.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I thought I would give Chegg a go as I am a student on a Biomedical degree looking to get rid of some very good quality books to make some extra cash. The statement of Chegg is that they will buy your old books - however when it came to it, they weren't prepared to buy them, They did, however, accept donations. Students, if you are looking to make a little money back from what you have paid for your expensive texts - Do NOT use Chegg. They are simple after free goods to sell on to other people. Chegg, you should be disgusted with yourself exploiting folk like that, most of all poor students.

Original review: May 1, 2018

A consistent theme I notice is that many tutors don't directly address the problem upfront. They stall. I am advanced-ish in Java. Today I needed help with 1(!) method. Instead I got a 3 hour tutorial in Java 101, with my ACTUAL request for help being addressed WAY down the line. I'm too nice to interrupt, and I leave pleasant reviews because I'm too afraid to hurt someone's feelings. That's my fault, without question. But this happens all too often. Plus language barriers are REGULARLY a problem. The site and features are nice. The price is good too. But 8 out 10 Chegg tutor experiences leave me exasperated.

My first session should have been a warning flag. The tutor SAT there for 30 MINUTES (burning through my weekly subscription minutes, btw) while I was under the impression that he was evaluating my code (per his pretty clear implication), then after 30 minutes of silence, I asked if he was still examining... NOPE! "Oh, I was waiting on you." FOR 30 SILENT MINUTES OF CHARGED TIME?!? After I asked him to review my code, he said "OK", and somewhat got to it. I have canceled and re-subscribed WAY too many times. Seeing more professional tutors asking for higher prices is what steered me to less expensive Chegg. But then I tried an expensive one. Wow! Direct and to the point. And in the long run (minutes wise) CHEAPER. So from now on, I am going with quality. The upfront cost may seem off-putting, but a direct and immediate response to your SPECIFIC needs will leave you better off. TRUST ME!

Original review: April 27, 2018

For years my school used EasyBib to help our student with their citation needs. We subscribed for a few hundred dollars each year. In return we got a good functional product. Then Chegg took over eliminated the option to allow schools to subscribe and only allowed subscription on an individual basis for $10/month. This is both cumbersome and prohibitively expensive. I have asked and asked for a change. It seems that bombarding students with distracting ads is more lucrative than subscriptions -- but I don't know because they never have responded to any of my requests and concerns. Chegg has bought up almost all of the citation makers (BibMe, CitationMachine...). Super lame and disappointing that programs intended for students and for education is exploiting them for profit. Please bring back the subscription model so we can continue to use EasyBib, otherwise we'll all be forced to use NoodleTools.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: April 25, 2018

Throughout my experience with Chegg Study I have found that the product really never lives up to my expectations for something that I pay so much for monthly (we all know the student struggle, $15 per month adds up fast). It is really unbelievable how many incorrect answers there are even in the textbook solutions area, I am pretty sure there are more incorrect answers than correct ones. Not to mention the Q and A. If you go to this so called "expert Q&A" section to get help with a problem that doesn't have a textbook solution, you could have 3 different people solve it and they will all come up with different answers of course accompanied by illegible handwritten work. It really seems like the questions are being answered by incompetent high school chemistry students, not advanced college students, and most certainly not professors.

You would think that charging so much for the service they would be able to afford to get real professors who know what they're doing to write the answers, but nay, they insist on utilizing idiots. Anyways, that being said, this service has enabled my laziness and probably actually hurt my grades in the class, needless to say I will be canceling my subscription and not returning to use it for OChem.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I took Chegg subscription around three months ago and they started billing for the tutoring as well which is around $15 extra every month and one of the months they charged me thrice and later refunded only two charges. I simply had to pay $30 without having to use any tutor service. Now that I got fed up with them I canceled my subscription and they have again charged me for the Chegg Study. They don't proper customer service. Nobody gives proper information.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I contacted Chegg in February 2018 because our instructor Pamela ** at SXU did not provide ANY instruction at all for Accounting (she just posted which chapters to read in a book and then submit assignments). So I contacted Chegg online to see if there was any instructor for Cost Management. They emailed me: 'unfortunately, we do not have instructors for this subject'. To me, that was it. The end. But no, to my surprise, I see Chegg charged my credit card $15! when they did not provide me any service at all. It has been a nightmare! They still charge me and I need to dispute the charges all the time. Contacting Chegg is impossible as they do not answer the phone. I am writing the review so that nobody goes through the experience I went through (or am going through, as I do not know if this will be over).

Original review: March 20, 2018

I started using this for physics but it had multiple wrong answers. I have posted a lot of questions and have gotten two correct answers. It has actually gotten me worse grades. I would not recommend this to anyone. They are insulting with their answers. I will post two of my worst experiences. I posted a two part question and the answerer told me that they are only required to answer one part. Ok, I was a little irritated since they weren't even long questions and I was just posting them for quality control and confirmation since I already had a good idea with what the answer was.

That person got it wrong anyway. Another time I posted a question that required thought and not only did it take 8 hours, but the answerer answered an entirely different question. I am not kidding, I posted the paper that asked the question, yet they answered a completely different question. It was supposed to be a series of diagrams but they explained something that was completely different. I really can't believe how awful this service is.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I continue to be charged for an account that I have deactivated and don’t use. I have worked through unhelpful online steps and have called their customer support three times with no help. It’s absolutely ridiculous. Update I got through to customer service but they were no help with a refund.

Original review: March 14, 2018

When I searched questions on Google it was showing, me that Chegg have answers for your questions. So I subscribed it and had no answer at all. They want us to subscribe for their online tutors and get ripped off again. So **... scammers. They may use my credit cards details in future. That's why I am going to cancel my credit card now.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I shipped books that I was reselling to Chegg in hopes to receive the money promised by this company. After shipment I was notified they couldn’t accept 2 of my books. I asked that they be returned. The books were very expensive. I never received any payment on the remaining books nor was my books returned to me. After several emails about complaints I never received a reply, payment, or my books at a 300 dollar value. I’m more than disappointed. Chegg is very unprofessional!!!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My son downloaded a book for school. When he couldn't access or open the book we tried customer service. They refused a refund and keep charging recurring monthly charges for a product we don't use and won't stop. Reported the abuse to the credit card company who said we had to fill in the form the vendor never sent. Tired of the runaround. Do not use.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

If I could give Chegg a -5 stars I would. My entire experience with this company has been disastrous. I was selling 5 textbooks and quoted for 5 books. I shipped them via UPS to their warehouse in Tennessee and UPS tracking confirmed they received them. On Monday, December 4th 2017. I was estimated to receive payment on sent via check by Friday, December 8th 2017 for only 4 of the 5 books I was quoted for. All of my books were sent in gently used condition with the only wear being the binding due to physically opening the book. No marks, no highlights, nothing. I logged into my account to see if the status of the remaining book had been updated. At that time it still showed as "in transit", even though UPS was showing that it had been received. To this day, my book is still showing up on my account as "in transit".

Around December 12th, I reached out to their customer service chat, because they make it almost IMPOSSIBLE for you to SPEAK to a person. I asked the rep if there was an update as to why my book was still showing up as in transit and if there was a problem. He advised me that there was a problem with my account and that the "note" on my account showed that I needed to "contact their billing department". I attempted to ask him several questions and get feedback as to what the problem may be, he said he could not provide me any additional information. He disconnected with me before I was able to ask any further questions and did not confirm that I had asked all of my questions. Which is poor customer service. At the end of the chat, I submitted the survey and complained requesting someone contact me regarding my experience so far. (As of today, not a single person has reached out to me about this).

I emailed their billing department and provided every bit of information I could offer them and asked them what the issue was. I was already severely irritated that there was a problem with my account and even though they had my contact information no one contacted me when the issue was discovered. Because according to the rep, there was a known issue and that's why my account shown that I needed to contact billing.

The billing department notified me that my book was flagged by their warehouse as a counterfeit book and it will be sent to the publisher for validation. If it is determined that my book was a counterfeit, I will not receive it back, the publisher will destroy it to keep counterfeit books out of circulation. If it is verified to be authentic, I will receive my payment and this process "typically takes about 2 weeks but in some cases may take longer". As of Friday, February 9th 2018 it will be 10 weeks total since Chegg has had my book (Or... Whatever you want to call this).

I'm a reasonable person, I understand the purpose of this policy. My problem is that my book was issued to me as a brand new sealed product from my university. The book was Employment Law: New Challenges in the Business Environment. 6th Edition Published by Prentice Hall ISBN 978-0133075229. So, the problem is my book has been out of my possession for almost 3 months either because someone there is incompetent in determining fraudulent products or my school has been selling counterfeit textbooks to students paid for with their federal aid. (Which is less likely the situation).

Billing refused to give me any information regarding why they alleged this about my textbook and stated that they had no contacts at their warehouse who can provide this information and that they would "contact me" when the publisher updates them. They never contacted me to begin with, so I don't have high hopes that they will at all. Their billing department then would not respond to my emails.

I had to resort to posting publicly on their Facebook page to get any kind of response. I spoke with an individual named Skip, who gathered my information and said he would have someone contact me. I did receive a phone call from a number I was not familiar with from San Jose, CA. 408-855-5703. Their corporate office is in Santa Clara, to my knowledge. Reverse look up shows this number belongs to a Mission College in San Jose. I received no additional calls to my knowledge that were possibly from Chegg. This was on 12/29/17.

Fast forward to yesterday, I reached out to Skip again via the last email I was able to reach him out. He confirmed that there was a note on my account that they attempted to reach me on 12/29/17 and "additional attempts" would be made. I have had no contact with anyone else. Skip advised me that their billing department was the only one who could help me, although they have been extremely unhelpful for the past 10 weeks.

Chegg sells the book I sent them for 162.99 used. Speculation, as it appears from complaints by other consumers, this is a common occurrence for them to find various reasons to not return the books to students and refuse pay. Considering the nature of issue and the fact that this book was flagged as potentially counterfeit knowing that I have discussed with them that my book came from my university It wouldn't be unreasonable for someone involved in the decision making process regarding what's potentially counterfeit and what's not, to speak with customers who have deep concern regarding a product they've had in their possession for almost three months. However, they "can't" tell me why, and they expect customers to just wait forever until they get back to them, if they do. I was never assured that the publisher would reach out to me. According to their billing department, the publisher "may" request my information.

I could see how consumers would eventually cut this as a loss and forfeit efforts against a company who is habitually ignoring their responses and not pursue any action over a 50.00 book, when that in itself can be a costly process. My book in particular was one of my more expensive books and I was quoted for $80.42 dollars. It was no surprise to me to find that they resell this product used for $162.99. Students are not exactly rolling in income, and many of us have probably sold their books because they needed the extra cash, usually to buy textbooks for an upcoming term or semester. Chegg is engaging in unfair practices and are not providing their customers even a remotely acceptable service.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

When I ordered an NCLEX (nursing board) test prep book from them I was told it would come with a CD. I the book without a CD. I called the company and although I gave them my name, my address, my email address, my phone number and their order number they could not find me in the system. I read the order number printed on my receipt to the representative several times and they still could not find my information from this. Diamond, the customer service representative, did not try to resolve my issue and then wanted all of my credit card information. What a scam!!! She would not help and she would not let me talk to a manager. Stuck with a useless manual!!! Will never buy from them again!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I have been a long time member of Chegg and this is the first time they decided to ** me over. I had a 60 minute balance on my tutor account and when I made a post that would be a length of 60 minutes (My Balance) they charged me $23 to do 2 simple questions. My entire balance was gone in addition to the $23 charge that they gave me. When I reached out to them, they said that I only had 30 minutes in my balance. Don't deceive your customers just to make a profit. This should be illegal due to the deceit that they have caused.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I intended to order some textbooks for my daughter but during the process of attempting to check out, I began to enter the university address, (which includes my daughter's name, university address, name of her house, room#) like most universities, I discover that there was not enough space to enter everything. I called Cheggs customer service and spoke to someone called TEQUILA. After explaining the situation to TEQUILA, she began asking the most comical questions. "Are you sure you are on the right page, is that your daughter's school address, did you put the address in the right place," etc, etc. She then told me, "I don't think that UPS will accept that long address, because they have made some changes and won't accept long addresses anymore".

I wanted to tell her "that's BS", but instead I calmly explained to her that I use UPS very frequently to ship things, including texts from Barnes & Nobles, Amazon, etc, to my daughter, and many times, including the past couple of weeks, using UPS. She then told me, "Well Ma'am, it must be something that you are doing wrong". She then had me go through the steps of entering the shipping address again, so I humored her and did so. When the space did not magically expand to accept my daughter's complete address, TEQUILA became very defensive. She also was very critical of my ability to enter a simple address, and very defiant and RUDE, when I asked to speak to a supervisor, (btw, supervisors do not take calls at Chegg, they only return calls) according to TEQUILA anyways.

I waited on the phone for quite a while, during which time, TEQUILA frequently and quite loudly coughed in my ear, muttered rude things when the line should have been on hold & muted, laughed, I assumed with colleagues, about the situation while I listened, and a number of unnecessary and very immature audible actions. TEQUILA, I doubt that you will think to read a review about yourself through this media, but just in case you come across this at some point in the future, I hope that you will have reached a point where you have acquired some additional customer service skills, because at the moment you are doing a disservice to the company you work for. Remember 78% of consumer have bailed on an intended purchase because of a poor customer service experience, just like I did today, by taking my business someplace else. Wishing you the best for the future. CHEGG TAKE NOTICE. Suggestion: Customer Service 101 class.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I mailed them books to sell back in December. I knew it would take up 10 business days to get the money I would receive back. After a week and a half passed from 10th business day I reached out to the company. I was told that "there's holiday's in between so you have to count those, it should be there tomorrow". Well duh, I did count the holidays but okay whatever, I can wait one more day. Well three days pass and still no check in my mailbox. I sent an email and got no response. I call the next day and they tell me "oh, there's a note in the system that says there's a delay in getting the check out to you. It should go out tomorrow and you'll get the check in 10 business days."

At this point I am furious. No one thought to send me an email updating me on what's been going on? It's been almost a month and half and I have no money...they got their products but I have nothing to show for it. This is a horrible way to do business. I will never be selling any more books to the company. Luckily, my life did not depend on this check otherwise I would've been dead.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I googled solutions to a math textbook and the first link was a Chegg link. I clicked and it said I need to subscribe. I subscribed and paid the 15$ fee. Turns out that there was no solutions for that textbook. I wanted a refund and called the helpline. The person had me on hold for 20 minutes, picked up and didnt say anything then proceeded to hang up on me. Every time I call I am on hold for 20 minutes and no one answers. This is disgusting customer service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I have used Chegg numerous times during my undergraduate and graduate career. I used to rent textbooks from Chegg, and more recently, tried to sell back some of the textbooks I have purchased because Chegg quotes offered reasonable buy-back prices above other companies; however, over the past 9 months, I have experienced two situations I am extremely unhappy with.

In May, I sold several textbooks, which I received checks for with the exception of one. I called customer service and they told me that my brand new book was in “poor” condition, so I requested that it gets sent back to me. I received a book back, but it was a completely different book altogether. I called customer service once again and they requested I send them back the wrong book so they can put an order in to send the correct book back. I sent them back the book I had, but I never received MY book back. I called customer service again and it was determined that my book was “lost”, so I requested that they either find me the book I sent them, or give me the quoted money. They gave me the money that was quoted to me for my book after going back and forth for months. I am extremely upset by this, but I figured it was a freak accident, so I decided to give the company the benefit of the doubt and sell something again.

I recently sold two of my textbooks, both are in mint condition as I purchased them brand-new, hardly marking them, and only using them for one semester. I was quoted to receive $45.75 for one of the textbooks and the other textbook I was quoted $73.31, but it was marked as “poor condition” (a brand-new book I bought for $138.00). I called customer service and requested them to send me back the book since I received an e-mail indicated they were going to “recycle” the book or “donate” the book. Three and a half weeks have gone by since my initial quotes, and I have not received the accepted check or my other book back.

I have sent the company 12 brand-new or in good-condition books over the past 9 months, which I have lost a lot of money on, and this company cannot provide me with the fair quoted amounts, but rather make-up excuses as to why they are keeping my books. I talked with someone in customer service and they told me, “We are not supposed to tell customers this, but if we have too much of a book in stock, it gets marked as poor condition. If you had a bad experience with us before you should have sold your books to Amazon or something”. It is pretty sad to me when someone who works for the company bluntly tells me not to use the company they work for.

The definition of fraud states, “a wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain”. This company IS the definition of fraud. I have wasted so much time on this company and I am beyond tired of dealing with this. The customers this company is working for are students who hardly have any money as it is, and this company has committed fraudulent acts that prevent us from receiving fair money back. I never write complaints like this by I am beyond my limits of patience with this company, which is too bad because I enjoyed using this company when it was fair. I take very good care of my books because I respect education and learning, so this is an insult to me for them to be marked as "poor condition" on several accounts. The company should pay me back full price for the two books I sold them due to the amount of stress and time I have wasted dealing with these experiences.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I've ordered textbooks for school from Chegg for the past two years - usually with no issues. Until recently. They shipped someone else's order to my door (with my address on the outside, someone else's address and order number on the packing slip on the inside). Their only solution to this issue is to send me another copy of a book that I've stated I don't want anymore, I've requested a refund and they've refused to give it to me.

I got ahold of them last night when I discovered the issue & the rep was incredibly unhelpful, rude, and flat out told me they were closing "right now" and couldn't do anything else to help me aside from issue me another copy of the book. Now I have two copies of the same book floating around in the Postal Service that I don't want, I've spent three hours on hold today alone trying to get in touch with these people during every available free moment during my day. Nobody answers, hold times ranging from ten minutes to forty-five. This is ridiculous, so ridiculous that I bought the book on campus instead since classes started yesterday and I needed the text. At this point, I just want my $147.00 back and to never deal with this horrible company again. Do not give them your business!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

When I first heard about Chegg, I thought about it the way you're probably thinking about it: it was a friendly, much needed hub where college students could purchase textbooks that normally cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for an unbelievably discounted price. Firstly, let me tell you, there are ways to get your college textbooks for cheap. Amazon is my number one suggestion as they saved me when I figured out what Chegg really was (and my checkout price was cheaper than it was on Chegg). A professor of mine talked about Chegg as if we weren't supposed to hear about it; as if it was a private club that you could only enter by invite only. She wouldn't talk about it until kids brought it up, at which point in time she raved about its incredibility. So, naturally, I sought it out. I rented my music appreciation book through Chegg, used it throughout the course, returned it, and was more than happy with their service.

Then, however, I transferred schools and was in need of more textbooks--four more this time. I went to Chegg, and found that their website was down. Alright, it happens. No site is perfect. I waited two days, figuring they'd have resolved any issues by this time. But, alas, no. Chegg was still down. I decided to do some research and see if this is something that happens to Chegg often; what I found was staggering. I understand if your site goes down once every few months or even once a month. Lots of people use Chegg. However, there are reports on "down detector" that have Chegg registered as "down" on and off for as far back as October of last year--and that's only as far back as I refreshed. This is unacceptable. If your site is "the best kept secret of college success", you'd better live up to that. You'd better smack Amazon in prices and you certainly should be "down" pretty much never.

Finally, after one more day (today), it was back up and running. At last. My books were still in my cart, and I moved to check out quickly as I desperately needed my books--classes had already started and I was depending on Chegg. I clicked "checkout" and was prompted to purchase some kind of subscription before paying. (As if I was in any mood to give them money for totally letting me down). I clicked "No, thanks", and proceeded with checkout, only to be redirected to Chegg's home page. Okay, this happens, maybe it's just my browser. I clicked "checkout" to enter the same process and reach the same end. I tried this at least ten more times (the last two of which I rebooted my computer for) all to no achieve no success. I was absolutely livid.

I needed Chegg and they'd abandoned me. Finally, I decided to utilize Amazon and at least see what the damage would be if I ordered my books from them. I speak the truth when I say that my final price was twelve dollars less on Amazon than it was on Chegg--and I even purchased an additional book. I now fully intend to use Amazon for all my college textbook needs as I learned the hard way that it's number one for a reason. If you managed to make it to the end of this, I'll leave you with this: when you have the opportunity to buy from "the best kept secret of college success", save yourself the frustration and disappointment and just use Amazon.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Sold a used copy of book to them for $44. They sent email stating they will recycle book as it was in poor condition. The book was free of highlights and writing and the binding was full intact and cover in good condition. Cannot believe they said it was in poor condition, and I believe they will resell it and just not pay me for it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

The homework solutions are correct approximately 70% of the time, which means it provides a decent means to check your answers for the more difficult problems you encounter in your homework. The problem with the service, however, is that it is set up in a way so that when you are done with the sites services you are unable to deactivate your account or remove your credit card information without going through several lines of customer service providers. This shady model was used in full by Chegg to attempt to drain additional income out of my account after I had used the service for several months, finished my courses and canceled my subscription.

This occurred by a Chegg employee logging into my account, signing up for tutoring and querying multiple people to charge me over $100.00 for this service (One that I had never used), a month after my subscription ran out. If it wasn't for the emails I received with tutor responses I never would have even known. In the end I had to go through my credit card company to revoke these charges. Also, Aux cover now has also billed me for a service I do not use, as well as a service dog and the charges began as soon as Chegg began charging me for additional falsified payments, so I am worried that Chegg has also given out my card information to other sites. Seriously, stay away from this site, it is entirely untrustworthy and you very well may end up having to deactivate whatever card you put on the site.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I sold six books to Chegg, which at first seemed like it'd be a painless interaction, however has proven to be anything but. They sent me money for three of my books, however they said that the other three were in poor condition. The precalculus book I sent was quoted the highest and was brand new, they marked it as being in poor condition and stated that it would be recycled. I called customer service, she asked for my email and then without having me explain my situation told me that it would be mailed back.

She stated that sometimes books that are sent in just don't fit the needs for what they're selling, but if that was the case then why put anyone through the trouble of scanning each book for a quote and then giving a quote for a book you have no use/need for? When I asked why the website stated it would be recycled she said, "no they'll send it back." According to other reviews, it doesn't sound like they usually do send them back unless it is at your expense. It seems as though this system was not thought through, it is not customer friendly, and I would not sell books through Chegg again. It truly feels like you're being scammed.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Although Chegg does offer a valuable service; the student should be aware that reading the fine print is considered part of becoming a responsible adult. Chegg requires a credit card to be inputted in order to "TRY IT NOW". This card will be placed on an automatic payment until it is canceled by the user. After being charged for several months, I caught the charge on my credit card statement and called Chegg. They were initially hesitant to offer more than one month of refund, but eventually agreed to three. I was told that if a student was only planning on using this service for one month, to sign up and then immediately cancel. This would allow service for a month without incurring additional charges. I would have rated this 2.5 stars if I was able to, because I was not totally dissatisfied with Chegg, but not entirely satisfied with the clarity of their service and charges. Again, they do offer a valuable service, but maybe need to tweak the system a bit.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Would not recommend to any students. I was told go ahead and purchase hundreds of dollars in books because due date could be changed free of charge (I am enrolled in 12-week postgraduate courses), therefore ordered books four weeks ago and now they are due in two days. Chegg is doing me a "courtesy" by extending my books for one month and wants me to re-purchase them... Why would I have even purchased the books at full price knowing I would have to return them in four weeks? Rented and purchased books for a year but will not be returning after this disaster. Don't believe a word they tell you. You would think they would give me my sixty days so I could at least complete my semester, now I have to fight to try and get a refund... Best bet is not to involve yourself with their business.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Bought a single $15 book from Chegg and somehow they have been billing my account $16 every single month since then which I just realized. I logged on and now see that they generously gave me a free month of online services and then have charged me each month since then. I would NEVER do any business with a company like this again and would suggest you look elsewhere also.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I used Chegg for the first time this semester around early September 2017. I went on and I rented two books and everything seemed normal. They took the money out of my account immediately. I went on purchasing other things for school from other stores. Towards the end of the week I saw that I was withdrawn 80 dollars in my account. I went to see and it said that chegg charged me that day for the books. I was confused since I remember them charging me that same day I made the book purchases so I was confused as to why they charged me again. I just figured it was a mistake I had made since I could not find the original charge in my statement. I just let it be.

I recently used the website again to order a book this time I had order the book and returned it the same day since I didn't need it. They took the money out that same day. I returned it and they said that the money would be in my account in up to 5 business days. They gave me the money back in 4 days just to take it away again the next day. I don't understand why. I called my bank. They tried to call chegg but their lines are only open during banking hours. It's so ridiculous. I am once again withdrawn and I have no one to answer my questions. I'm NEVER using chegg again.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

My book never worked. I called customer service several times and they made me download different browsers. That didn't work. They wouldn't refund me because I refused to download Firefox. So I paid 40 dollars for a book I never got and some terrible customer service.

Chegg.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs