1.22/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

384 Chegg.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have no account with Chegg, nor have I ever done business with this entity. Yesterday, I noticed a $41.48 charge on my credit card associated with this company; I tried calling them, but their phone was either disconnected or changed. I reported this charge as fraud, and had to replace my credit card. Obviously, this is a recurring problem with this company, as I found many people complaining about unauthorized credit card charges.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

In October I sold a textbook to Chegg. After not hearing anything for weeks after they received it, I contacted them. They claimed to have sent my book to the publisher for authentication, a book I purchased at the campus bookstore. Here we are three months later and they are still claiming it is with the publisher. They are thieves. A book previously returned to me had their store stickers on it, they had intended to keep and sell my book.

Get expert buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I paid for my daughter's books over a year ago. This year she paid for her books herself and didn't send them back in time so they charged her. When she didn't have enough money in her account they charged my card from over a year ago. I never gave permission for this and my card number that they had on file for me has since expired but they found a way to use it anyway. When I called them they explained that they NEVER take a card number off of an account. They will deactivate my card but if this happens to my daughter next year guess what THEY WILL DO IT AGAIN. My only option is to call my bank and cancel the card altogether. What a complete illegal racket.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I rented a textbook for a pretty decent price. I returned the book on time, and they still charged me $200 for the textbook claiming that they never received the rented textbook back. - I'm still in college and needed that $200 for so many other things. - Additionally, I rented an Ebook from and every 5th page was blurry to the point I couldn't not read the information on the page. When I went to customer service the first guy said that nothing was wrong, the second lady told me that they would fix it within 10 days. It was never fixed, and when I tried to follow up with the company there was no record of me talking to anyone or requesting help. - TERRIBLY RUN COMPANY. THEY WILL CHEAT YOU OUT OF MONEY. The prices look good, but there are WAY more trustworthy companies out there. I hope this helps someone from getting robbed.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I sold books back to Chegg in July 2018. I waited for a month to receive a $200 check but it never arrived. I contacted Chegg and they said they made a mistake and would send a check out. This has been going on every other month and still no check. It is now Jan 2019 and now I'm being told I have to send a copy of my bank statement from July until now showing I never received a check. I'm at a loss on what to do now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I was very disappointed about this website, as they blocked an amount of money my card and after they charge me again the same amount of money. The costs are too high for the quality of support they are offering. I needed help with Java so besides the fact that the tutor did not know Java very well, he was going on for three hours so that cost me $75 and he messed up my initial code as well.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Keep charging my credit card for over a year about a service that my son never used or asked for "to the best of his knowledge". My wife used her credit card to rent a book for my daughter, Chegg.com cancelled the order because they don't have the book anymore yet her card was charged, when we called them they say to check with the bank. This company are bunch of thieves and manipulators, never use them. I will make sure that no one that I know will ever use their service.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Chegg would not give me a refund for a service my son was locked out of but continued to charge my account for seven more months and will only give me one month refund. Terrible customer service. Spoke to Shirley's supervisor who would not give me his supervisor, because "they" don't take calls. So unprofessional. Such a ripoff. So disappointed in this company. It's college students using their service. Pathetic how they screw them. Would not recommend to ANYONE EVER! Bad business tactics. Disgusted.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Chegg provides less expensive textbooks and other helpful services, but when I needed to cancel a textbook order that I had ordered less than an hour prior they said that they couldn't and I would just have to return it when it arrived. When I asked about free shipping on ordering the correct book they said that they could provide it, but I should call back once I order the book and they will refund it then. To ensure they could refund it I called right before I placed the order. When asking to confirm they said they could, but did not ask for any of my information. I had to ask if they needed my account to refund it and they said they needed my email. After starting to give my email they hung up on me. I am glad I hadn't already placed my order! I will be sticking to Amazon Rentals from now on.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Rented a book, they throw in some study thing that you won't ever use. I cancelled the study part, but they kept charging me. When I call to complain they say it's non-refundable. All they want is your money, and they couldn't care less about you as a customer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I rented a book from Chegg and the subscription ended two weeks before my final exam. I contacted the online customer service and the person was very useless. He/she told me to contact the publisher to have access to the book they claim they are renting. I told them it is weird that my subscription ended before the semester and I explained how I didn't know when my final exam was that is why I rented the book. This person suggested to talk to the publisher. How I'm I suppose to contact the publisher while I rented the book from Chegg.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I can't believe that they cancelled my books a couple of days ago. Today I had to pay for the books again because I still need them for the rest of the semester. I will never buy or have anything to do with Chegg ever again. I don't like the way they treat their customers. After I am done with these books I'm getting rid of this.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I ordered an Ebook from Chegg that I needed for a class for college. My schedule was changed so I needed the book a bit longer than the original time I rented the book for. Therefore, I paid to extend my rental. With two weeks left of my class, I couldn't access my book. Every time I tried to access it, I received a message that I was not authorized to access my book. I emailed Chegg and I received an email back apologizing and that they refunded the money I paid for the extension. I replied that I did not ask for a refund because I still need the book, I just needed to access it. Then I received an automated email.

I then called, the guy who answered took 10 minutes to figure out that the problem was the author of the book no longer allowed Chegg to rent the Ebook. I never was sent an email prewarning me, nor did I ever read any type of disclosure this may happen, I wasn't offered any sort of credit, empathy, sympathy, or compassion for this inconvenience, and I certainly wasn't offered any money towards having to rent this (Ebook) from another company so I can finish my class! Chegg only cares about taking your money, they couldn't care less about our your education.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have used multiple services that Chegg has recently purchased. A major one includes EasyBib. After Chegg purchased them the site has turned into a "let's see how much money we can really make" service. The site has been cluttered with ads. Additionally, they only support MLA7 and MLA8 for free now, even with ads. I will refuse to use any of Chegg's Services from here on. They are dishonest and never even responded to my email about an account closure. If they aren't making a ton of money off of you (additional to ads) - they don't care!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I purchased one month of Chegg study. I only needed it for one month, so I went to cancel my subscription. When I went to cancel it I was given an offer that if I kept my subscription another month it would only be $5, so I kept it for one more month. When that month came, I was charged $15, not the $5 stated. I contacted customer service and was told they couldn’t refund me the difference, they could only cancel my subscription. I decided to keep it since it turned out I still needed it. Now a few weeks later I get an email saying they undercharged me, that they should have charged me $20 instead of $15, so I will be charged another $5. That’s the amount I was supposed to have paid originally! Better to avoid them altogether, and don’t take their lie of renewing for $5, it’s a scam!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Seriously, if you had negative stars I would be on it. Don't ever return a textbook with this company. I bought a nearly $200 book (which arrived well past the scheduled delivery date) and they offered a buyback amount that was insulting. Upon receiving my book, I received an email that stated my textbook may be an unauthorized copy! After several frustrating phone calls to their customer service department (no, there is no direct number for the billing department) I still haven't received my money. Don't ever return a textbook with this company!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I'll make this easy. Just do ** use this ** website. I'm so pissed right now because they've been charging me for over a year and I can't even cancel my subscription because "supposedly" I don't have a subscription yet. THEN WHAT THE ** AM I PAYING FOR YOU **? I visited their website one time to find a solution to a problem. And after that I've been charged every month.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Chegg, without my consent, instituted a monthly description fee as from March 2018. I have previously (October 2017) canceled my yearly subscription and have not given permission for automatic renewal. I am from South Africa and have extreme difficulties in canceling the monthly subscriptions. Chegg was unable to locate me on their system even after I have provided them with all the information they required. Still, the payment went off from my bank account. After complaining about the umpteenth time, they suddenly were able to find the illegal deductions and promise to pay back the last three months' payments. I had to inquire at my local bank for the remainder of the illegal payments done.

I have already reached out to my financial institution regarding Chegg's unethical and unlawful financial conduct. These charges cannot be reversed. The only way to prevent Chegg from continuing this unacceptable practice is to close my current card and have a new card number issued. This is an immense inconvenience as it impacted many of current creditors. It is almost November 2018, and not a cent has been refunded. I am wondering how many other foreigners have been the prey of Chegg? This is unethical and punishable by law in my country. I would like to believe that this unethical business conduct is also not acceptable in the USA???

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

The service they provide is not worth the money spent. They are so greedy, whenever you look for someone answer to work they claim that they have the steps but when you use their service most of the answer are garbage. Not worth the money spent on this false advertising service. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for homework help.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

After reading the reviews I realized that I wasn’t the only one that had a problem with Chegg. First, I tried to use the tutor service. 30 minutes into the lesson and I didn’t get any type of help. Tutor keeps saying that she was working on the problem and to book another class for one hour. 30 minutes passed and I didn't get anything. The tutor only wanted me to stay longer to pay more money For the solution of one problem when what I was looking for it was an explanation and the step by step Solution of the problem.

Second problem started last week. I keep getting a message saying that I have multiple accounts and it doesn’t allow me to do anything. It forces me to log in again every time I get this message and I can’t get the solution of my questions. I tried to send emails last week and today and I don’t get any answers. I’m sure they are going to charge me like I was using my account and the services. I don’t think is fair.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Clearly, Chegg has some books that are significantly less money than buying from the school bookstore. I usually buy 2-3 books and find myself spending at most $50-$60. Shipping is free on orders of $50 or more and sometimes they have other deals and discounts. They ship your books right to you and then when you need to return the books, you just print out the shipping label they provide and it is prepaid, so you don't have to pay to ship them back, and why should you when they're the ones who want the books back?

The rental period is longer than a semester, so you can even order your books early and worry about having to return them while you still need them. Usually the books have some highlighting or some indication of use, but are in acceptable condition. I did receive one book this semester that was in awful condition. When I wrote to customer service they got back to me quickly, decided to send me a new book, and refunded my money for the inconvenience. I haven't been disappointed by this textbook service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Do not use this site! It is not trustworthy. I offered to pay for my daughter's college books and she needed my credit card over the phone. I trusted that she researched this site prior to providing her my credit card. She was able to order the books and get them on time for her classes. However, two months down the road, she goes online to utilize the free trial for the tutoring and within an hour there are two $20 charges on my credit card. She never authorized for them to keep my card on file and definitely did not authorize that charge. After seeing the charges, I immediately went online to read the reviews and found numerous reviews stating that people were scammed by this company. And similar stories to mine, where their account was charged. I immediately called USAA and had my credit card changed so that they could never charge me again. USAA reported the charges as fraudulent. Save yourself the headache and do not use this company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I’ve noticed I was charged $21 for subscription in September when I haven’t used one since May. No notifications, no signs of it in my Chegg account. DO NOT LINK DEBIT CARD TO THEIR SITE. Also they do not refund AT ALL.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Purchased a tutor service and the tutor only solved the question halfway and the answer was incorrect. Was charged with USD15 and there is an extra USD30 that was pending in my bank and I didn't even spend that amount.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Not sure what is going on with this site but I order a Thomas Calc 14th edition that stated they had 3 left. Purchased the first with a coupon for two day shipping. Perfect, not so fast. Got a email two days later canceled ordered. I called, talked to a really nice young lady and she said, "Sorry. Don't know why that happened." Ordered another one but couldn't give me my 2 day shipping, but still gave free shipping for 7 days. Got an email about 5 days later canceled again, same rhyme no reason??? Using this site is like hitting the lottery. Play at your own risk, I will never use this site again.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I ordered a textbook for my son. It was supposed to be delivered on 9/6/18. The website says to expect the book the day that is listed for delivery (9/6) or before. On 9/8 I contacted Chegg that I had not received the book and that there is no tracking number and it says "processing" on my account information. They told me they would cancel my order and I could reorder. I felt that they should reorder in house and expedite the shipping.

I was told it was not possible due to 3rd party who ships. They did apologize, said there was nothing else they could do, and ended the chat (usually on live chat they will wait for you to end the chat by asking if that is all). I feel as though they could have offered something like expedited shipping if I reorder and a discount code for the inconvenience. This order was for a textbook needed for my son's college class. I ordered it before school started and now he still has no textbook. I would say if you need a book to be delivered by a certain date, look elsewhere. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Get your books and send them back on time. That’s all that you need to do. Don’t get mad when YOU don’t get your books back by the due date if your semester is a little longer than the due date. Just CALL you can get an extension for a month for free. Don’t be stupid and click on the free 4 week trial. YOU KNOW you were supposed to cancel it before you were charged. It’s just like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. It’s a MEMBERSHIP. If you didn’t want it don’t click on it. ALSO IT'S ALWAYS HARD TO CANCEL MEMBERSHIPS. LITERALLY EVERY MEMBERSHIP IS HARD TO CANCEL. Grow up and read the terms and conditions.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

This was my first order with Chegg. On the screen, they showed delivery within 2-3 business days and provided ebook for 7 days. Ebook doesn't work, and shipping notification said delivery in 3 weeks. I just spent an hour on the phone. THEY DON'T CARE. If they do this to you, dispute the charge on your credit card.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

They advertise 2 day shipping and then it turns out it will be 12 days until your books arrive??? Called to complain and they could care less. I will be ordering all my textbooks and did nothing to from Amazon, which has a 6 month free trial for student prime, and that gives free 2 day shipping as well. When there are due dates for homework and your books may not come for 2 weeks, it's just not worth the risk.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have had Chegg Study for somewhere around 8 months. To put it short I received a free month through purchasing Cengage Unlimited. When I tried to use that free promotion, my Chegg account was deleted. I then tried to use my Chegg account and I couldn't view any Q/A on their website and was notified my account had been canceled. Thinking I had a free trial and since I already paid for my monthly subscription, I was very confused. Now that I resubscribed my account my bill went from $15/month to $20/month and no one month free (SCAM). I contacted customer service and the lady was somewhat hostile when taking my call, and told me to contact Cengage because she has no control over my Chegg account (It's the company she works for). I have never had issues with Chegg until now, terrible company to deal with. TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!

Chegg.com expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

• Best for: college and university students on a budget.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs