3.9/5 (986 ratings)

Take Control of Your Child’s Academic Success

Find an affordable tutor through Sylvan Learning

Get Started

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

Totally a scam, stealing money from you!! Make sure to not subscribe to them!! They will never even make any effort to give you your money back. Keep on insisting about system, system, system. A total waste of time.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2022

This company is notorious for terrible consumer experiences. The software will ask you like every three questions/answers to confirm your account with them by sending you an email. If you want to cancel or do anything you would have better luck getting in contact with your local senator. Chegg is a monopoly of the industry for homework help and is the only reason why customers keep going back. I hope the CEO and other executives of this company enjoy sleeping at night off the backs of poor college and high school students trying to get an education. Chegg uses predatory methods to get you and keep you on their service, with no regard to their customers and their lives. Terrible, terrible company. Have not met one person who enjoys this company in the slightest, they only keep it because there is no other option out there. I would switch in a heartbeat.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

They still charged even though I paused the account. I contacted them within an hour and they still refused to refund me. I'm a student on a tight budget, this was not planned and now my monthly budget is ruined. Try using other sites/companies.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2022

DO NOT PURCHASE THE SUBSCRIPTION!!! Chegg is only nice if you use it for free. Otherwise you throw your money away. I bought the subscription for one semester (4 months) and then I canceled it, a year later I look at my mom's bank account statement and it was still charging me despite that I canceled and have not used it since!!! I AM VERYYYYY UPSETTTTT!!!! Chegg does not let you delete your payment information so they are still able to charge you even if you cancel!!! I wish I knew this sooner!!!! Chegg subscription is a stupid scam. I hate it and will never ever use it again!!!!! This is full of **, we should not be charged after cancelling the subscription!!!! I was charged over $250 for the past year!!! Very upset!!!

Seriously do yourself a favor and DO NOT GIVE CHEGG ANY PAYMENT INFORMATION OR THINK OF BUYING THE SUBSCRIPTION. This is a detailed review because this type of stuff never happens to me, I am usually very careful with my money and watch everything closely but Chegg reopens their subscriptions after you cancel them. It was never my intention to be one of those angry customers but when I found out I was charged $21+ every month for something I WAS NOT USING and WAS NOT AWARE OF I was very upset. If I could I would sue!

Original review: May 25, 2022

You can’t cancel on the app. You have to go through the website to cancel and they will still charge you. Customer service will not refund you per their “policy”. Two semesters in a row where I canceled my subscription and was still charged.

Original review: May 22, 2022

This website will not let you remove your financial information from it. If you get charged for a subscription and contact them the same day either because you forgot or whatever they will not refund you and they will not let you remove your bank info which is how they get away with continually charging subscriptions and committing fraud! You have to change bank info which is ridiculous.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Upon contacting customer service after my account was frozen, I was told it was a system error. I asked about other errors I was experiencing and asked for a discount on my next bill, after 30 min and Katrina, and Abby dodging my issues, I am just completely taken back by the lack of support or help in resolving my other questions. The worst customer service I’ve really ever experienced. They make wanting to talk to robots sound like a good idea.

Original review: March 30, 2022

My daughter at UCI was repeatedly charged for unknown subscription by Chegg for $14.99 each month. It started on 7/28/2020 and ended on 1/8/2022 (the day my daughter stopped it). No refund or explanation was provided.

Original review: March 24, 2022

This company will not return your money. Their return policy is by far the worst. 14 days not when charged but when you first order your book. That means if for some reason the system keeps charging you even though you canceled your subscription your money is lost. Also, you can not even close your account without jumping through hoops. The system will not even allow you to remove your credit card. Worst company, better ones out there.

Original review: March 9, 2022

A simple request for a Chegg study subscription cancellation, turned into the representative canceling my eBook instead, during my midterm week when I needed it the most. My issue escalated and was met with nothing but apologies from each supervisor. They informed me of Chegg's policy, which states that if an eBook is deactivated, the only way to regain access is by the student repurchasing it. It did not matter that it was not my fault, it didn't matter that it was their representative that made the mistake. The burden of fixing it fell on me, the college student with an income that is sporadic and unreliable at best.

Upon filing a complaint with the BBB and garnering a response from the Chegg team, they reiterated their policy, admitting that there was no “workaround” for allowing access to eBooks without them being repurchased, regardless of the reason for the deactivation. College students are not aware of this lack of protection until it is too late. There was no accountability for their actions and the actions of those they hire to represent them. After I declined to accept their initial response on the BBB website, their second response was even more disheartening. The Chegg team resorted to mentioning the fact that I was able to repurchase the eBook a day after the deactivation.

I spent more than 24 hours finding a way to repurchase what their representative canceled by mistake. By their team alluding to the fact that the access was restored after a day, instead of focusing on the lack of policy and protection for the digital format of textbooks on their website, it became clear that it was nothing more than an attempt to distract from what their representative did and how ill-equipped the company’s policy truly is. This level of deflection from a company whose motto is to provide convenience for college students, shows just how manipulative they are towards their biggest consumers. Based upon their failing reviews all over the internet, it is clear that they have become more of an inconvenience to college students than anything else.

Chegg.com author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

Chegg.com Company Information