2. Education
  3. Tutoring

1.0/5 (32 ratings)

About Chegg.com

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

This company someway has found access to both of my accounts and has been charging them for the past couple of months. I can't seem to get this resolved and therefore I have had to call my bank and cancel my accounts. They have access to my money market account as well as my charge card account which happens to be with two different banks. Not sure how these folks have access to my accounts. Please be careful with ordering items through unsecured websites as I believe this is how they are gaining access to my account.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Overpriced monthly charges. Study packs are slapped together messes of missing chapters and content at sometimes of ridiculous amateur submissions if at all. The book that I purchased had no updates to its newly released content (which means that you have to rely on PDF files your instructor may or may not have for those newest edition chapters that were supposedly available and benefit of this "service"). Fonts and highlight code font (for programming) is almost unreadable and when you try to maximize the screen or even try to adjust the viewing pane, everything goes out of kilter and is almost impossible to read and leaves you with no option but to reload.

No right click option to copy content and simply paste into a project or text editor so you can actually read it or just save some time when you have an instructor that can type 4,000 wpm while you are squinting trying to keep up with said instructor. The fact that you cannot copy and paste the code into an editor or wysiwyg is absolutely ridiculous considering at least with the book I had, it came with source code that was downloaded from the author's actual website. No advance warning to when they are going to charge your account and the price went up seemingly each time they charged my card. Even when I thought (because the actual class I took was complete and the expire date was set for that date) they kept charging anyway.

Lord forbid a user that pays almost $40.00 a month for a subscription would be able to download your book, save your book or even copy content from your book. After all, the cost of the actual hardcover book (which I own) cost LESS than this scam subscription service of craptastic expenditures to your bank account. Lack of user control to remove your payment methods and personal account without having to search the help section and then select "cancel account" displays the intent of causing users such as myself, to assume that the expiration date I chose for my semester term was met would automatically cancel and then ask for my input or at least give me advanced warning of when they were going to charge my card.

You jump through hoops to actually remove your personal account and payment methods. You first have to go to the help section and type in "cancel account" and then, the cancel account link displays. Then, to ensure these scam artists no longer have your card on file anymore, you have to jump through even more hoops which leads you to have to search for "remove personal data" which then gives you the link to do so. Well, at least you think so. It then has you enter in your email to which they send you a form to fill out, then verify your email to verify you want to cancel your account. All basically hidden areas from the user which is a great method to continue charging a user if they 1) do not cancel their subscription; 2) does not delete their user data; 3) system WILL charge you even if your supposed expiration date has been met.

The fact that author did not make his book available to Amazon Kindle was even more sketchy because let's be honest. If you really want a student textbook to translate well for general use, and ownership being the key element here, Kindle would be the ultimate route to go but alas no. This poor excuse for a ** sore cash cow milks the poor student out of their small bank accounts which also keeps financial aid out of the possibility to be used in most electronic book store options most colleges offer. Simply stay away from Chegg. Period.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Do not use this site!!! I used this site for a year and paid a monthly subscription fee, $10.55/month, which automatically came out of my bank account. 10 months after canceling my subscription, I get a random CHEGG monthly charge to my account!! When I contacted them, they couldn’t find any account information… Beware.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Waste of money. Most of the answers on the website are wrong and there's no way to get the right one once someone has already answered it with the wrong answer other than posting the same question again which uses up your free 20 questions. It's frustrating to pay for a website that always has the wrong work and answers.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

The large majority of the answers to questions on the website are incorrect. The website also often reads my computer as multiple devices somehow and there have been multiple times it shut down due to "too many device switches". There's honestly more useful information in comments of questions where people will actually give the correct answers. No regulation on answers, awful software, and they just updated the front end and made it 10 times worse. Just avoid completely.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I purchased a text book from Chegg.com via Amazon and now Chegg.com is charging my account $11.99. I'm not sure what this charge is for but it was not authorized by me. I've already filed a complaint with PayPal but Consumer Affairs should know about this as well.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

My son had a credit card on my account. He thought his subscription was done when his credit card expired. The company continued to fraudulently charge my account until I asked him what this monthly charge was. They claim they can only refund 90 days of charges. Yet, they were charging to an account that they were not provided the new expiration date for and the subscription number and monthly charge was actually changed with no authorization from my son.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I purchased an E book for Chegg which I have used multiple times in the past. My wife was experiencing issues uploading multiple pages and all of the highlighting features were not working properly. I reached out to Chegg and they said it was outside the 14 day guarantee period so they are unable to help me with this! Beware when subscribing to their E-Books and their customer service is garbage.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I purchased a textbook and was told it would be delivered in 2 weeks. After 5 weeks it had not been received. When, I contacted customer service, they said not only did they not have the book, they were unsure if they would ever get it. They were quick to refund my money, but I never should have been charged for merchandise that was not in stock.

Original review: July 27, 2021

If you get the subscription you will want to pull your hair out by trying to cancel. As a student, I used it for answers on homework and how they got that answer. Which in that aspect was good. That is until I wanted to cancel because I was done with the semester. I looked on website and app. Nothing. I actually lost my card at one point so I canceled the card. And I'm not kidding when I say they still continuously tried to charge the card. Every. Day. for a half a year.

They would not stop trying to charge the card to the point my bank called me to say they suspect my canceled card was stolen and someone was trying to use it. Nope! That's just Chegg desperately trying to leach money out of my account again. It was nothing like I ever experienced before. Usually when your card is declined for other websites they just stop giving you that service and move on. But chegg? They will not stop till they get your money with no way to cancel your subscription without calling them directly.

Chegg.com author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

Chegg.com Company Information