2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

1.1/5 (45 ratings)

About Chegg.com

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: May 15, 2021

I asked for help with electronic access code immediately. They refused to help. They did not refund my purchase price. They continued to refuse to help with the code. Now they refuse a refund. Fraud!!!!

Original review: May 14, 2021

I have posted one question. Got wrong, incomplete. This app is to make people fool and never ever subscribe for it. It’s just wastage of money. I don’t know how it’s operating even the support doesn’t reply to your question regarding post of wrong and provided.

Get buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I strongly do not recommend purchasing a membership. Not worth even 1 dollar. I absolutely cannot get an answer to the questions I wrote. I've written how many times questions, but 3 days have passed, they never go back to my questions. I will cancel my membership.

Original review: April 10, 2021

This "business" I believe is colluding with schools using stolen credit cards. They committed fraud at 3AM by charging my CC 3 times, one after the other for the amount of $19.95. Ive never heard of this "business" in any way, shape or form until my bank notified me of the charges. This "business" provides students the ability to cheat on exams, which you can find evidence of on Reddit. Their entire purpose is fraud. Still looking for a California license but I don't think they have one, I think they are out of India. They are nothing but a scam.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I cannot figure out how to view page numbers in Chegg's eReader service. I've downloaded both the app on my Android and used my computer. The only answer on google is locked behind Chegg's 15$ Paywall.

Original review: March 29, 2021

It’s clear, from other people on here, that they are having the same problem as me, but here’s my story. I have used Chegg for a while. For the most part, they were fine. They were good for studying and providing solutions to problems that I could go back and review to see what I got right or what I missed on homework problems. It was good feedback, and helped me immensely.

But something changed this year (2021 specifically). They changed how they recorded devices, is my best guess, and now, instead of just recording the two devices you’re allowed to have associated with your account, they now record your IP address. Which means, if you work or study from more than one place, your account is going to get suspended. Why did they do something so asinine? Who knows. Some idiot over there thought this was a good idea. So, okay, the first couple of times this happens, I go to tech support to figure out what’s going on. They give me some troubleshooting tips, but the problem keeps happening. So I go back, explain the problem again, and they give me the same tips. I explain to them that they don’t work, and they have no answer, they can’t unlock my account, and they can’t refund my money because my account is locked, because they locked it! This went on for THREE WEEKS!

Nobody seems to know what is going on at Chegg, and it appears you can only use their website at one location, so don’t plan on moving around if you’re a working student, like I am, and don’t expect a refund. They just steal your money, lock your account, and tell you there’s nothing they can do for you. Absolute TRASH! DO NOT USE CHEGG! Their website is broken, and they will not fix it, and instead blame the problems on you.

Original review: March 25, 2021

So, I am a college student and I have been using Chegg for a while now. Although it does have its perks, it also has its problems. I pay almost $15/month to utilize their services, which means I should be able to do with my account as I please. I have an iPad, MacBook, and an iPhone; all of which I use for both school and personal use. On my iPad and iPhone I use both the Chegg study app and Chegg.com to do my work. As of recently and times in the past, they have started to both suspend my account and require me to change my password because I either use Chegg on too many devices or they accuse me of sharing my account.

Within the past year I have had to change my password over 5 times due to them believing I was sharing my account. I have had to change password because I alternated between devices too many times and I honestly think it is getting ridiculous. I am not going to lie, I enjoy using Chegg, but I don't enjoy being told how I can access a service that I pay for. If it was a free subscription, I would not care, but since money is being taking out of account to utilize these services, I should be able to do as I please. Why does it matter how many devices I have? If they can track how many times I have switched back and forth between devices, they should be able to tell that all these devices are registered to me, and me only. If I didn't use Chegg so much, I would definitely cancel my subscription and not look back, but I am honestly so frustrated with their policies and rules that I decided that it was important to write the review.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Be careful. They just charge you monthly. Not possible to cancel the order or subscription in their website. Not a reasonable service. You pay money and receive a little service. That's it. They keep your information including credit card information and you are not able to remove them.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I have use the service before and it was ok. Back in January I decided to sign up again to be able to study remotely. When I did it in my old iPad, service was normal, but when I decided to update my iPad problem started and the system did NOT work. Worst of all, I called on the 10th and the lady directed me to do few things to correct the problem, I did all I was directed and did not work nor I received the phone call I was to get from the expert in the system.

On the 19th called again and I was told almost the very same stuff, nothing has happen yet. Called back again an hour ago and they told me now that, the problem is apple because they are providing them service in my iPad. To make it simple- CHEGG is NOT longer a reliable company nor they provide the service they charge for. They took my money for a month and I received 1.5 weeks of service and the run around for more than 2 weeks. My recommendation is to DO NOT pay services to this company. DO NOT TRUST CHEGG.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

We bought a textbook from them almost a year ago. Beware, they slip in a monthly subscription service whenever you simply buy a book from them without you ever realizing it. They asked if we wanted a subscription - a pop up window and we said "no". But they gave it to us anyway! So we ended up being charged $14.95 every single month for almost a year now and just discovered it when our credit card called us as it was considered suspicious activity. We never willingly signed up for a subscription. We only bought a book. When I called them to refund all the money they took from us, they would only refund 3 months! What a load of ** this company is!! BEWARE - do not buy anything from them!!! They are very sly in sliding a subscription past you. I am not impressed with their unethical business practices.

Chegg.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team