2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: May 20, 2020

Chegg tutors answered my call in less than 3 minutes holding, granted I happened to be calling as soon as their office opened so the line was likely shorter than usual. Once I got on the phone I explained the billing issue I had experienced and the representative did not hesitate to offer me a full refund and credit to my account. Overall, it was a customer service experience on the tier of Amazon.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I am a mature (middle-aged) graduate school student. When an illness and death in my immediate family forced me to take an unexpected leave of absence from my studies early in the semester, Chegg graciously accepted my return of three rental textbooks and gave me a full refund -- even though I returned these way outside the 21 day return window. I offered to pay the return shipping on the books, but they paid for that, also. I am extremely grateful for their compassion and flexibility and will use them again when I return to school in a year.

Get buying tips about Textbook Rental delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I had an issue with Chegg study charging my account after I rented a textbook from them. I called and within 10 seconds the issue was fixed since they have my phone number associated with my account. Absolutely fabulous customer service! I've never been on the phone with a company for such a short period of time (literally 30 seconds) with my issue fully resolved. Their textbooks are also cheap, in good condition, and timely and Chegg Study is very helpful. Couldn't recommend them enough!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

I have purchased all of my textbooks for the last 5 years of college through Chegg. Every book they send me is in good condition and in a timely manner. They make returns easy and fast as well. I recently had an issue with miscommunication between books being returned. I only had to speak with one person, and she was very kind. They immediately fixed the problem with no issues or arguments.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

My daughter used this service in college. After she graduated, we received a renewal charge for services in advance. We canceled, and they have continued to charge us annually. The credit card company says they are unable to cancel due to the terms of their merchant agreement. Be very careful doing business with this company. They push fraudulent subscription charges through on your credit card for several years and apparently can get away with it.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

This company is fraudulent!!! Please stay away, I've had account with them for one year and decided to close the account when school finished 6 months ago for me. It wasn't until recently that I noticed several charges on my account. Over 30 dollars for a book I never purchased obviously 'cause I closed my account and don't even go to school! I will be reporting this fraudulent activity and letting every student in my class know about this ridiculousness, they can't get students to sign up so they charge them. LOL. Not on my watch!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Bad customer service. Can't reach them at all. No live chat, no response in social media, Waited for 1 hour for password setup email. Never appeared. They need to be responsive, because students are writng to write papers.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Last year when I was a freshman in college I used Chegg and had a good experience, so I was looking forward to using them this year, but my experience with them so far has been absolutely annoying and aggravating, and I will never use them again. I ordered my books early this year, and although my old debit was on file on my account, I entered my new one before confirming my order. A week and a half past, and I still hadn't received my order. At the time, I assumed shipping was going to be slow because of Covid, but then days began to past and I still haven't received an order, and the tracking was not updated. Although they refunded my shipping, I still needed my books.

I went back and checked my order, just to realize that the order was put under my OLD debit card. My order was still awaiting shipment. I understand this could've been more of my mistake, however I know I gave them my new debit card, so it's annoying how they were using my old card on the order, which obviously wouldn't work. And then they neglected to tell me earlier that there was a payment problem.

I wish that that was my last complaint with them. But, after canceling my order, I went back and reordered my books, making sure they were put on my new card. About a week after I finally got my books, they sent them AGAIN and have changed me twice for the books. Extremely frustrating and annoying, especially since I pay for my books and school by myself.

Lastly, I found out yesterday that they want to charge me for a communications book I returned in MARCH. I have already emailed customer service and told them I returned the book, so hopefully that problem will be taken care of. I feel like chegg has gotten worse this school year. Customer service is awful, and takes forever to get through to get help. College students already have enough stress, especially this year with the pandemic, the unprofessionalism and disorganization of this TEXTBOOK company unfortunately has just been adding more.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I have been trying to access this site for two hours. Ever since Chegg's greedy device tracking system was installed, I've had nothing but issues. Tonight I spent 2 hours online with Customer service after 3 calls and no RESOLUTION. Every time I log in I receive a pop up box that states I have reached my maximum devices. I use one computer and one computer only! Customer support walked me through some steps that they said would resolve a bug on my account but after following the steps 4 times, I still receive a pop up box that states my account is restricted or that I have reached my maximum devices. They have issued a trouble ticket. I will post again when I receive a response from Chegg. Tracking system with their new account states only two devices. I have the same two devices on my account. I.e. the same computer twice. Looks like a software roll out with a lot of bugs to me.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

With the experience I've had lately, I am done with renting books from Chegg. I have been renting from Chegg since I first started college and have never had a problem until now, but it’s been bad enough that I know I don’t want to go through this ever again. First, I rented a used textbook for $50 that came horribly damaged, with the pages not even attached to the binding, and some pages completely loose. If I’m paying $50 for a book, it better be in good condition. I was told I would be sent a new book. That order was canceled, and I am now stuck with probably one of the most beat-up books I've ever seen. I sent an email asking if they would be getting any more copies in and never received a response.

Then, less than a week later, I got an email about a book I had rented last semester that needed to be returned. The book had already been returned three weeks prior, and I had received an email acknowledging that they knew so. I sat in a queue for over an hour waiting for someone to talk to. When I explained my situation, I was told (word-for-word), “It looks like your books have been delivered to our warehouse on 8/24/2020 and I have taken care of that for you. You’ll notice in your account that it states “reported missing”. Don’t worry about that status, you’re all set!”

I was not “all set”. This morning I received yet another email, this time telling me that my book still hasn’t been returned and that if it isn’t returned by four days from now, I’m going to be charged $166. I called Chegg customer support, and luckily this time, I did not have to wait. I told them about the email I had received this morning and about the previous conversation with customer support from just a few days ago. They pretty much repeated to me the same thing that the other person said. I said, “This is the same thing I was told last time. How do I know I’m not going to be charged?” “Well, if you are charged, we can easily refund it.” Not good enough. They then went on to say, “It’s probably a glitch in the system.” Awfully expensive glitch! And a glitch that I was told had already been taken care of at that!

I’m already expecting to be charged the $166. I have no faith that anyone from Chegg is actually going to try to solve this “glitch”. I will call, get the money refunded, and then I will take my business elsewhere in the future. I am not a hard person to please, but never in my life have I ever had service this terrible. Amazon will be receiving my business from now on.

Chegg.com author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 2010, Chegg is a California-based company that specializes in resources for college and university students. Its website offers textbooks for rent or sale and also features study help, tutoring resources, test prep and internship listings.

• Free shipping on orders over $50: Chegg offers free standard shipping on purchases and rentals of $50 or more, and returns are always free.

• Up to 80 percent savings: Chegg offers big savings on many of its books, with rentals up to 80 percent cheaper than retail.

• Extension options: If you decide that your rental period is not long enough, Chegg offers the option to extend the rental or purchase the book instead. Simply go to your account on Chegg’s website and change the due date or select the option to purchase.

• Digital rental options: Chegg offers many textbooks in a digital download or Kindle-friendly version for students who prefer not to carry around physical books.

• Risk free returns: Chegg offers the option to return any rentals within 21 days of your order for any reason, which is a great feature in case you drop or cancel a class. Chegg will refund your rental fees minus shipping costs. Digital rentals must be canceled within 14 days for a full refund.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team