4.30/5

TutorZ

TutorZ specializes in quality tutoring at an affordable price. The referral for students is free. Kindergarteners through college students can get help in over 500 subjects in centers across the United States.

TutorZ.com operates a marketplace for students and parents to find the qualified in-home and online tutors. Since its inception in 2006 TutorZ has facilitated over 150,000 tutoring sessions. The TutorZ search engine provides listings of over 40,000 tutors nationwide.

View More View More

21 TutorZ Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

When I was looking for someone to help my daughter out in Algebra, it was easy to find one through TutorZ. She said that her tutor really sat her down, and actually explained things to her where she could learn them. Her grade improved from F to C, so it's been a great experience.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

Initially I thought TutorZ is just local classified, so I just put an ad there. And then I got the students. It was really helpful and respectful. The website is good and doesn't have glitches. It's easy to set up and very organized. They had never charged me twice even though I clicked two times by accident. The ranking on the Google is going great day by day. Although a mobile app would be a good add-on in the future. When I had an email conversation with a TutorZ personnel, it was a good experience. But TutorZ should do a facial check on the new accounts of tutors, whether these are fake accounts or just as a social reputation of the website. Other than that, the company is doing a great job.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

TutorZ could be a scam. I felt that the students requesting to be tutored and some of the tutor names they put down don't exist. When I get solicited, I respond, I pay, and there's a phone number. It's like a fake profile, phone number, and the email. Then I never hear from what I paid the people requesting to be tutored. I tried to call but nobody answers their phone number. It's just always voicemail. Then I talked to Greg through email. He just responded and that nobody can answer. You can't get through to anyone. I teach computer classes. I just want to have an extra income and it’s not hard being a tutor there as long as you got the qualifications. I only had two tutors over the last two years being there but I've been paying for these two legit tutors who went through. TutorZ is not very good.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

When I searched for a tutor through TutorZ, I was given three people who specialized in what I was looking for. I contacted them and then they contacted me. Their website got the job done, so I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

This is my first week with Tutorz. But it seems the company is a very nice company, much better than Tutor Nation and Contact. I sent my information electronically to their rep. I'm a Penn State Master Engineer and he immediately assigned me. I told him by email and over the phone that I am not an online degree person. I have been doing face-to-face tutorials almost 30 years and I had been doing a very good job and nobody in United States ever just got angry from my tutoring services all my life. But some of the budgeting has been cut off with at least three community colleges in my area and unfortunately that hit us in tutoring and teaching as a faculty. It is becoming very expensive. I'm trying keep my hope high and regardless if I'm becoming a faculty by summer of this year or fall of this year I'm planning to be working an independent tutor for TutorZ.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TutorZ LLC?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

I saw on Google that TutorZ was one of the companies that helped connect tutors with a client. It was quite easy and was the best possible scenario to becoming a tutor through the website. I was able to sign up for the tutor service and I did it all online like connecting through emails and accepting or declining a job. It's been very manageable through the online format. However, I haven't had as many jobs completed through TutorZ as I would have liked. But there was a slight increase in the experience through the overall number of people that I booked through them. It's a great experience over the past couple of years that I have been with TutorZ and I would like to see the company continue to expand its clientele of people who are requesting tutoring and offering more services. That way, it could offer more opportunities. As it is, though, I see it as working well overall.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

I was just looking around googling some names and TutorZ popped up and responded and everything worked out fine. It's easy finding a tutor especially if you know what you are looking for. Every tutor I spoke there with were fine, very well versed and professional. The learning experience was excellent as well. Overall, we had a good experience with them.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I was trying to find students online when I first heard about TutorZ. I like that it's easier for people to find me using their database. They filter, so I don't have to deal with finding people who aren't a good fit. TutorZ has been the one that I've had the most luck with finding the most long-term students with. It's also nice that they have so many options. They have specific things that people need, which goes along with parents who go that far - who deserve to have someone who knows what they're doing. I'm working with two people right now that found me on TutorZ and that's been the best long-term family situation. It was a good fit. My only problem was I have had a hard time searching. I haven't figured out how to do that. Also, TutorZ might want to add executive functioning into their database since I do it with all of my students with learning disabilities and it helps them a lot. Their parents love it, and it seems that they're looking for that.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2016

I was interested in becoming a tutor to find who needs help. It was pretty straightforward and easy becoming a tutor through TutorZ. I try to have many students through them and I’ve had three students from them for molecular or quantitative evaluation. But TutorZ does not have enough students. They should advertise more.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2016

I'm preparing for my Step 1 exam, USMLE so I needed discussions with someone who is very much knowledgeable because Step 1 seems to be very important for the next successive exams. And tutors are the ones who can let me know where I'm going wrong, which one is important, and where to focus. So, I thought TutorZ would help and benefit me. TutorZ.com has been very helpful in figuring out a tutor for me. They provided me with the tutor's information and if they were not responding, there was a feedback from TutorZ.com saying that, "If you did not hear from this, there is another tutor," to keep me going, which I really appreciate.

The tutors were friendly and knowledgeable. The only thing is tutors also have their own things going on and the meetings are not an everyday thing. But my learning experience has been good so far. I have improved myself and it really helped me to be more focused, improve my concept and stay motivated. TutorZ.com has given me that support which I needed at the right time. It's really helpful for students who are looking for support and who want to improve. It's also very accessible and welcoming at the same time. So, we as students, feel comfortable to interact with them and try to figure out which tutor is good. Or we could always fall back on them to get some support. I really recommend it to anyone if they are searching for some tutoring.

TutorZ LLC expert review by ConsumerAffairs

A former Associated Press executive, editor and reporter, he has covered just about everything imaginable and a few things that seemed unimaginable until they happened.

• Large database of tutors: TutorZ maintains a database of more than 40,000 qualified tutors from across the country.

• Customized profiles: Tutors are able to create a customized profile that includes their personal experience, training, qualifications, and contact information.

• Advance filters: The database of tutors includes advance filters that allow students and parents to search by location and/or subject matter. This makes it easier to locate the right tutor.

• Rating system: This site uses a five-star rating system to allow students/parents to rate their tutors. This allows tutors to build up their profile and it allows students/parents to see how others rated each tutors services.

• Face-to-face and online options: Specific details and about time, place, and price are made privately between the parents/students and the tutor. This allows users to choose between face-to-face tutoring and online tutoring services.

• Best for: Parents and/or students looking for an experienced tutor in their local area, as well as for professional tutors looking for prospective students.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

TutorZ questions and answers

Has TutorZ received any awards or recognition for its products or services?
TutorZ has been named the Top Homeschool Curriculum Award in 2013, the Top 101 Best Tutoring Websites Award 2014 from HowToLearn. It has also been awarded the California Excellence Award in 2013, the Best Educational Websites Award in 2013 and the company won $5,000 in funding for winning the first price in UC Irvine's HighTech Octane start up company competition in 2007.
How has TutorZ grown or evolved?
TutorZ started as a vertical search engine to find tutors to becoming a leading marketplace for in-home and online tutoring.
What problem is TutorZ trying to solve?
TutorZ matches the tutoring needs of American students with its 40,000+ qualified and trusted tutors.
What sets TutorZ apart from the competition?
TutorZ specializes in quality tutoring at an affordable price. The referral for students if free. Students find tutoring help in over 500 subjects in all major U.S. cities, in all educational levels from kindergarten to college. Tutorz.com operates its marketplace for students and parents to find the qualified and safe in-home and online tutors since 2006.
What needs does your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
TutorZ fulfills the tutoring needs of American students. We are a fast and efficient connection between student and tutor. The referral for students is free. Tutors are not charged any commission or subscription fees. Instead, tutors are charged only $2 to $3 for a referral. TutorZ can offer this more affordable service by leveraging its lower-cost development and service office in Eastern Europe.
How does TutorZ measure success?
The primary success measure is when a student meets its tutor and is satisfied about his or her service. Since its inception in 2006 Tutorz.com has facilitated over 150,000 tutoring sessions. A secondary success measure is the number of our tutors, which is currently over 40,000. This large number enables our parents and students in cities to find available tutors at any price-level, of both genders and with various backgrounds. Even in rural areas TutorZ can provide first-class tutoring.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry and your company?
Tutors are often surprised when we tell them TutorZ doesn’t charge any commission for the tutoring.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
Finding a tutor has moved from classified ads to Internet market places. High-cost brick & mortar tutoring services such as Sylvan and Huntington find it harder to compete with more efficient Internet marketing places.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about TutorZ?
Getting a tutor today is easy and affordable, even when you are on a budget.

TutorZ Company Information