3.9/5 (1194 ratings)

Take Control of Your Child’s Academic Success

Find an affordable tutor through Sylvan Learning

Get Started

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: May 22, 2022

This website will not let you remove your financial information from it. If you get charged for a subscription and contact them the same day either because you forgot or whatever they will not refund you and they will not let you remove your bank info which is how they get away with continually charging subscriptions and committing fraud! You have to change bank info which is ridiculous.

Original review: May 3, 2022

Upon contacting customer service after my account was frozen, I was told it was a system error. I asked about other errors I was experiencing and asked for a discount on my next bill, after 30 min and Katrina, and Abby dodging my issues, I am just completely taken back by the lack of support or help in resolving my other questions. The worst customer service I’ve really ever experienced. They make wanting to talk to robots sound like a good idea.

Original review: March 30, 2022

My daughter at UCI was repeatedly charged for unknown subscription by Chegg for $14.99 each month. It started on 7/28/2020 and ended on 1/8/2022 (the day my daughter stopped it). No refund or explanation was provided.

Original review: March 24, 2022

This company will not return your money. Their return policy is by far the worst. 14 days not when charged but when you first order your book. That means if for some reason the system keeps charging you even though you canceled your subscription your money is lost. Also, you can not even close your account without jumping through hoops. The system will not even allow you to remove your credit card. Worst company, better ones out there.

Original review: March 9, 2022

A simple request for a Chegg study subscription cancellation, turned into the representative canceling my eBook instead, during my midterm week when I needed it the most. My issue escalated and was met with nothing but apologies from each supervisor. They informed me of Chegg's policy, which states that if an eBook is deactivated, the only way to regain access is by the student repurchasing it. It did not matter that it was not my fault, it didn't matter that it was their representative that made the mistake. The burden of fixing it fell on me, the college student with an income that is sporadic and unreliable at best.

Upon filing a complaint with the BBB and garnering a response from the Chegg team, they reiterated their policy, admitting that there was no “workaround” for allowing access to eBooks without them being repurchased, regardless of the reason for the deactivation. College students are not aware of this lack of protection until it is too late. There was no accountability for their actions and the actions of those they hire to represent them. After I declined to accept their initial response on the BBB website, their second response was even more disheartening. The Chegg team resorted to mentioning the fact that I was able to repurchase the eBook a day after the deactivation.

I spent more than 24 hours finding a way to repurchase what their representative canceled by mistake. By their team alluding to the fact that the access was restored after a day, instead of focusing on the lack of policy and protection for the digital format of textbooks on their website, it became clear that it was nothing more than an attempt to distract from what their representative did and how ill-equipped the company’s policy truly is. This level of deflection from a company whose motto is to provide convenience for college students, shows just how manipulative they are towards their biggest consumers. Based upon their failing reviews all over the internet, it is clear that they have become more of an inconvenience to college students than anything else.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

They are a scam! They hung up on me when I asked for my money back like 3 days into a subscription. I contacted them before this about issues I was having. They did not have answers to almost all the problems I needed. The answers they did have were wrong. They did not refund my money. Stay away!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I sponsored a student for a book, he attempted to cancel in November and though the cancelation was successful. In December, I got charged to my account and I thought it came because he cancelled at mid period of the billing, but oh surprise, they billed me last night and my account overdraft. The student ended his semester in December first week and did not attend since until this week; we know there were holidays and school break, so he did not use the book. I called and the operator and supervisor said they have a "police" do not refund books, so I am giving away my money and the overdraft to them and they refused to credit my bank account.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I signed up today. They instantly charged me $21.35 for “monthly subscription”. In about 15 mins they said my subscription expired and needs renewal. I quickly contacted my bank and explained. My bank is taking care of it but PLEASE STAY AWAY! Look at reviews. It’s a SCAM!!!! I wish I saw the reviews before. I am not sure how they are allowed to exist. Save yourself and STAY AWAY!!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2022

A full-fledged scam. I sign up and they charge me right away, of course. From there and to be able to access they send a confirmation email so that when you receive it you click on a link to access. So far so good. The problem is when the link is only valid for 5 minutes, and it always takes at least 10 minutes to arrive, so several days later and after trying to access more than 30 times, always arriving the access link late, I still have not been able to enter and I am more than fed up.

If I want to unsubscribe, I can't either because I can't log into my account and I can't manage my subscription, so they would be forever charging me. The only solution to stop this is to cancel the card so that they can no longer rip me off for a product that I have not been able to use even once. A scam and a disgrace this way of acting.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I've had Chegg for 3 months and it has come in really handy for more challenging chemistry problems, or if I just don't have the time to finish by myself. There are answers for courses way past the Gen Chem level and my posted questions are answered in less than an hour. Definitely worth the money if you want an assist with your college courses.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2021

Overpriced monthly charges. Study packs are slapped together messes of missing chapters and content at sometimes of ridiculous amateur submissions if at all. The book that I purchased had no updates to its newly released content (which means that you have to rely on PDF files your instructor may or may not have for those newest edition chapters that were supposedly available and benefit of this "service"). Fonts and highlight code font (for programming) is almost unreadable and when you try to maximize the screen or even try to adjust the viewing pane, everything goes out of kilter and is almost impossible to read and leaves you with no option but to reload.

No right click option to copy content and simply paste into a project or text editor so you can actually read it or just save some time when you have an instructor that can type 4,000 wpm while you are squinting trying to keep up with said instructor. The fact that you cannot copy and paste the code into an editor or wysiwyg is absolutely ridiculous considering at least with the book I had, it came with source code that was downloaded from the author's actual website. No advance warning to when they are going to charge your account and the price went up seemingly each time they charged my card. Even when I thought (because the actual class I took was complete and the expire date was set for that date) they kept charging anyway.

Lord forbid a user that pays almost $40.00 a month for a subscription would be able to download your book, save your book or even copy content from your book. After all, the cost of the actual hardcover book (which I own) cost LESS than this scam subscription service of craptastic expenditures to your bank account. Lack of user control to remove your payment methods and personal account without having to search the help section and then select "cancel account" displays the intent of causing users such as myself, to assume that the expiration date I chose for my semester term was met would automatically cancel and then ask for my input or at least give me advanced warning of when they were going to charge my card.

You jump through hoops to actually remove your personal account and payment methods. You first have to go to the help section and type in "cancel account" and then, the cancel account link displays. Then, to ensure these scam artists no longer have your card on file anymore, you have to jump through even more hoops which leads you to have to search for "remove personal data" which then gives you the link to do so. Well, at least you think so. It then has you enter in your email to which they send you a form to fill out, then verify your email to verify you want to cancel your account. All basically hidden areas from the user which is a great method to continue charging a user if they 1) do not cancel their subscription; 2) does not delete their user data; 3) system WILL charge you even if your supposed expiration date has been met.

The fact that author did not make his book available to Amazon Kindle was even more sketchy because let's be honest. If you really want a student textbook to translate well for general use, and ownership being the key element here, Kindle would be the ultimate route to go but alas no. This poor excuse for a ** sore cash cow milks the poor student out of their small bank accounts which also keeps financial aid out of the possibility to be used in most electronic book store options most colleges offer. Simply stay away from Chegg. Period.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2021

Do not use this site!!! I used this site for a year and paid a monthly subscription fee, $10.55/month, which automatically came out of my bank account. 10 months after canceling my subscription, I get a random CHEGG monthly charge to my account!! When I contacted them, they couldn’t find any account information… Beware.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Waste of money. Most of the answers on the website are wrong and there's no way to get the right one once someone has already answered it with the wrong answer other than posting the same question again which uses up your free 20 questions. It's frustrating to pay for a website that always has the wrong work and answers.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2021

The large majority of the answers to questions on the website are incorrect. The website also often reads my computer as multiple devices somehow and there have been multiple times it shut down due to "too many device switches". There's honestly more useful information in comments of questions where people will actually give the correct answers. No regulation on answers, awful software, and they just updated the front end and made it 10 times worse. Just avoid completely.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I purchased a text book from Chegg.com via Amazon and now Chegg.com is charging my account $11.99. I'm not sure what this charge is for but it was not authorized by me. I've already filed a complaint with PayPal but Consumer Affairs should know about this as well.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

My son had a credit card on my account. He thought his subscription was done when his credit card expired. The company continued to fraudulently charge my account until I asked him what this monthly charge was. They claim they can only refund 90 days of charges. Yet, they were charging to an account that they were not provided the new expiration date for and the subscription number and monthly charge was actually changed with no authorization from my son.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I purchased an E book for Chegg which I have used multiple times in the past. My wife was experiencing issues uploading multiple pages and all of the highlighting features were not working properly. I reached out to Chegg and they said it was outside the 14 day guarantee period so they are unable to help me with this! Beware when subscribing to their E-Books and their customer service is garbage.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I purchased a textbook and was told it would be delivered in 2 weeks. After 5 weeks it had not been received. When, I contacted customer service, they said not only did they not have the book, they were unsure if they would ever get it. They were quick to refund my money, but I never should have been charged for merchandise that was not in stock.

Original review: July 27, 2021

If you get the subscription you will want to pull your hair out by trying to cancel. As a student, I used it for answers on homework and how they got that answer. Which in that aspect was good. That is until I wanted to cancel because I was done with the semester. I looked on website and app. Nothing. I actually lost my card at one point so I canceled the card. And I'm not kidding when I say they still continuously tried to charge the card. Every. Day. for a half a year.

They would not stop trying to charge the card to the point my bank called me to say they suspect my canceled card was stolen and someone was trying to use it. Nope! That's just Chegg desperately trying to leach money out of my account again. It was nothing like I ever experienced before. Usually when your card is declined for other websites they just stop giving you that service and move on. But chegg? They will not stop till they get your money with no way to cancel your subscription without calling them directly.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Chegg used to be the only thing that got me through my STEM math classes. Now I can't use my account without it being flagged as shared. Four times in less than a week I was locked out. First I was told "it is what it is, wait 48 hours", then I was told "it's because you use a hotspot for internet, wait another 48 hours, only use the app on your phone." I solely used the app on my phone, flagged again. Instead of screwing around with customer service for the 4th time knowing I'll be told I have to wait 48 hours, I canceled my subscription. I'll be using Brainly from now on, it's free and doesn't give me a headache.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I paid for Chegg.com study and when I used it to help me understand how I was missing problems on my college work, I was sent an ugly email threatening to cancel my subscription for cheating. I paid for the service and should be able to use it without receiving intimidating emails.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I've had repeated problem with Chegg which has required verifications of all sorts. This is what I was told tonight that would cure my problem ....Quoting...."You can download the app, turn on and off your device, reboot Wifi, uninstall and redownload the Chrome app. These are the things we see work that will rectify your issue. They are not guesses." So, I was told I might have to uninstall and reinstall Chrome with every use if necessary. Chegg does not have to verify who they are when they take your monthly payment.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I asked for help with electronic access code immediately. They refused to help. They did not refund my purchase price. They continued to refuse to help with the code. Now they refuse a refund. Fraud!!!!

Original review: May 14, 2021

I have posted one question. Got wrong, incomplete. This app is to make people fool and never ever subscribe for it. It’s just wastage of money. I don’t know how it’s operating even the support doesn’t reply to your question regarding post of wrong and provided.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I strongly do not recommend purchasing a membership. Not worth even 1 dollar. I absolutely cannot get an answer to the questions I wrote. I've written how many times questions, but 3 days have passed, they never go back to my questions. I will cancel my membership.

Original review: April 10, 2021

This "business" I believe is colluding with schools using stolen credit cards. They committed fraud at 3AM by charging my CC 3 times, one after the other for the amount of $19.95. Ive never heard of this "business" in any way, shape or form until my bank notified me of the charges. This "business" provides students the ability to cheat on exams, which you can find evidence of on Reddit. Their entire purpose is fraud. Still looking for a California license but I don't think they have one, I think they are out of India. They are nothing but a scam.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I cannot figure out how to view page numbers in Chegg's eReader service. I've downloaded both the app on my Android and used my computer. The only answer on google is locked behind Chegg's 15$ Paywall.

Original review: March 29, 2021

It’s clear, from other people on here, that they are having the same problem as me, but here’s my story. I have used Chegg for a while. For the most part, they were fine. They were good for studying and providing solutions to problems that I could go back and review to see what I got right or what I missed on homework problems. It was good feedback, and helped me immensely.

But something changed this year (2021 specifically). They changed how they recorded devices, is my best guess, and now, instead of just recording the two devices you’re allowed to have associated with your account, they now record your IP address. Which means, if you work or study from more than one place, your account is going to get suspended. Why did they do something so asinine? Who knows. Some idiot over there thought this was a good idea. So, okay, the first couple of times this happens, I go to tech support to figure out what’s going on. They give me some troubleshooting tips, but the problem keeps happening. So I go back, explain the problem again, and they give me the same tips. I explain to them that they don’t work, and they have no answer, they can’t unlock my account, and they can’t refund my money because my account is locked, because they locked it! This went on for THREE WEEKS!

Nobody seems to know what is going on at Chegg, and it appears you can only use their website at one location, so don’t plan on moving around if you’re a working student, like I am, and don’t expect a refund. They just steal your money, lock your account, and tell you there’s nothing they can do for you. Absolute TRASH! DO NOT USE CHEGG! Their website is broken, and they will not fix it, and instead blame the problems on you.

Original review: March 25, 2021

So, I am a college student and I have been using Chegg for a while now. Although it does have its perks, it also has its problems. I pay almost $15/month to utilize their services, which means I should be able to do with my account as I please. I have an iPad, MacBook, and an iPhone; all of which I use for both school and personal use. On my iPad and iPhone I use both the Chegg study app and Chegg.com to do my work. As of recently and times in the past, they have started to both suspend my account and require me to change my password because I either use Chegg on too many devices or they accuse me of sharing my account.

Within the past year I have had to change my password over 5 times due to them believing I was sharing my account. I have had to change password because I alternated between devices too many times and I honestly think it is getting ridiculous. I am not going to lie, I enjoy using Chegg, but I don't enjoy being told how I can access a service that I pay for. If it was a free subscription, I would not care, but since money is being taking out of account to utilize these services, I should be able to do as I please. Why does it matter how many devices I have? If they can track how many times I have switched back and forth between devices, they should be able to tell that all these devices are registered to me, and me only. If I didn't use Chegg so much, I would definitely cancel my subscription and not look back, but I am honestly so frustrated with their policies and rules that I decided that it was important to write the review.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Be careful. They just charge you monthly. Not possible to cancel the order or subscription in their website. Not a reasonable service. You pay money and receive a little service. That's it. They keep your information including credit card information and you are not able to remove them.

Chegg.com Company Information