2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

1.0/5 (41 ratings)

About Chegg.com

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I have use the service before and it was ok. Back in January I decided to sign up again to be able to study remotely. When I did it in my old iPad, service was normal, but when I decided to update my iPad problem started and the system did NOT work. Worst of all, I called on the 10th and the lady directed me to do few things to correct the problem, I did all I was directed and did not work nor I received the phone call I was to get from the expert in the system.

On the 19th called again and I was told almost the very same stuff, nothing has happen yet. Called back again an hour ago and they told me now that, the problem is apple because they are providing them service in my iPad. To make it simple- CHEGG is NOT longer a reliable company nor they provide the service they charge for. They took my money for a month and I received 1.5 weeks of service and the run around for more than 2 weeks. My recommendation is to DO NOT pay services to this company. DO NOT TRUST CHEGG.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

We bought a textbook from them almost a year ago. Beware, they slip in a monthly subscription service whenever you simply buy a book from them without you ever realizing it. They asked if we wanted a subscription - a pop up window and we said "no". But they gave it to us anyway! So we ended up being charged $14.95 every single month for almost a year now and just discovered it when our credit card called us as it was considered suspicious activity. We never willingly signed up for a subscription. We only bought a book. When I called them to refund all the money they took from us, they would only refund 3 months! What a load of ** this company is!! BEWARE - do not buy anything from them!!! They are very sly in sliding a subscription past you. I am not impressed with their unethical business practices.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I rented two ebooks and a textbook, when I went to use the ebooks I had rented there was no history of my purchases. I was already charged and yet no history of my purchase only through my bank. When I called the person who handle my call was very unprofessional and no apology at all for their mistake. Then gave me attitude and responded all I had to know was that I was gonna get a refund, which I said, "How are you gonna fix this problem because now I had a class to attend and no book." Secondly I had to cancel my debit card because Chegg tried to charge me again for a book that I already was charged for.

So for the second time I had to call them and asked if I was already charged for the book that was being mailed to me. They confirmed it was so when I asked for an explanation as to why they try to charge me again I got no answer. Instead I got attitude and no answer as to how they would refund me if my card was already canceled, they didn’t even have the card information on file. How is this even possible. Horrible experience. I don’t recommend Chegg at all. They are so unprofessional and double charging is unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Multiple fraudulent "Chegg Order" charges to my credit card, notified Visa & canceled card today. Google lists many instances of such activity & the BBB lists 384 complaints. WHAT is going on with this company. I seldom use this credit card and trying to figure how "Chegg" processed 2 different charges to their site[?].

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I tried to get my books early for school to have them ready. As it turns out, my school cancelled the class I was enrolled in due to low enrollment numbers; however, since it was past the 21-day return policy for Chegg (they go off of order date) I wasn’t able to receive a refund so I’m completely out of the money I paid. Never ordering from here again. Unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I ordered my textbooks and went to check on the status of the order days later only to find one book had been canceled. I went from paying $78 to having to pay $110 for the same book a few days later and Chegg would only offer me a %15 discount. Their explanation was that they must have run out, got more in stock, and jacked the prices up to $110 now. I asked on the Chegg chat if I would have any issues with my orders going through Chegg and was assured this was a great site and I'd be thrilled with my experience. Now I will have a week less to prepare for classes and I had to spend a lot more than I had planned to spend.... Livid.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I lost my textbooks in a housefire 4 days before exam week. Chegg is going to charge me full price for not returning the books. Or, I can buy the books from somewhere else and return them. Nothing like adding more stress during this already stressful time. Apparently, I haven't lost enough already. I've been a faithful customer since I started college. The fire marshal is willing to send them a copy of the report. Some companies are only about the bottom dollar!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I could not accept the idea of what 1 account use only device. Even when I swap to my only device so they just only allow to swap one a month, and they send the verified code by mail but could not use that. Finally, they blocked my account because many attempts. Thump down.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I used to love books during my undergrad and when they were going through UPS. Now that they changed to FedEx they kind of started to go downhill. I am in graduate school and have ordered books there two times before. Each time I returned my books I would get emails upon emails saying my Chegg books are due and they would charge me $6 if they aren't due on time. They actually did charge me a couple of times because I thought with COVID maybe FedEx is late. However, they just weren't processed.

This time, I ordered two books, put them in the same box and sent them back. They only processed one... I know the other one got there because they were in the same box. They sent me another email saying my books are due and if I don't return them they will charge me again. In other words, might have to start using Amazon if I keep getting these emails about how my books (that are in the same box) haven't been processed.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

I initially joined Chegg for homework help for a Accounting Math class. I used the service on the laptop. I tried to use it at work but was told I was not able to since it was a shared device. I then used only my laptop. Today, I was sent an email accusing my of using many devices and that they were going to suspend my account. I immediately cancelled this subscription. If I could have given them 0 stars I would have. Horrible customer service.

Chegg.com Company Information