3.4/5 (78 ratings)

Find Tutoring partners near you

About Chegg.com

Find Tutoring partners near you

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Aug. 11, 2021

I purchased a textbook and was told it would be delivered in 2 weeks. After 5 weeks it had not been received. When, I contacted customer service, they said not only did they not have the book, they were unsure if they would ever get it. They were quick to refund my money, but I never should have been charged for merchandise that was not in stock.

Original review: July 27, 2021

If you get the subscription you will want to pull your hair out by trying to cancel. As a student, I used it for answers on homework and how they got that answer. Which in that aspect was good. That is until I wanted to cancel because I was done with the semester. I looked on website and app. Nothing. I actually lost my card at one point so I canceled the card. And I'm not kidding when I say they still continuously tried to charge the card. Every. Day. for a half a year.

They would not stop trying to charge the card to the point my bank called me to say they suspect my canceled card was stolen and someone was trying to use it. Nope! That's just Chegg desperately trying to leach money out of my account again. It was nothing like I ever experienced before. Usually when your card is declined for other websites they just stop giving you that service and move on. But chegg? They will not stop till they get your money with no way to cancel your subscription without calling them directly.

Original review: June 27, 2021

Chegg used to be the only thing that got me through my STEM math classes. Now I can't use my account without it being flagged as shared. Four times in less than a week I was locked out. First I was told "it is what it is, wait 48 hours", then I was told "it's because you use a hotspot for internet, wait another 48 hours, only use the app on your phone." I solely used the app on my phone, flagged again. Instead of screwing around with customer service for the 4th time knowing I'll be told I have to wait 48 hours, I canceled my subscription. I'll be using Brainly from now on, it's free and doesn't give me a headache.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I paid for Chegg.com study and when I used it to help me understand how I was missing problems on my college work, I was sent an ugly email threatening to cancel my subscription for cheating. I paid for the service and should be able to use it without receiving intimidating emails.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I've had repeated problem with Chegg which has required verifications of all sorts. This is what I was told tonight that would cure my problem ....Quoting...."You can download the app, turn on and off your device, reboot Wifi, uninstall and redownload the Chrome app. These are the things we see work that will rectify your issue. They are not guesses." So, I was told I might have to uninstall and reinstall Chrome with every use if necessary. Chegg does not have to verify who they are when they take your monthly payment.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I asked for help with electronic access code immediately. They refused to help. They did not refund my purchase price. They continued to refuse to help with the code. Now they refuse a refund. Fraud!!!!

Original review: May 14, 2021

I have posted one question. Got wrong, incomplete. This app is to make people fool and never ever subscribe for it. It’s just wastage of money. I don’t know how it’s operating even the support doesn’t reply to your question regarding post of wrong and provided.

Original review: April 19, 2021

I strongly do not recommend purchasing a membership. Not worth even 1 dollar. I absolutely cannot get an answer to the questions I wrote. I've written how many times questions, but 3 days have passed, they never go back to my questions. I will cancel my membership.

Original review: April 10, 2021

This "business" I believe is colluding with schools using stolen credit cards. They committed fraud at 3AM by charging my CC 3 times, one after the other for the amount of $19.95. Ive never heard of this "business" in any way, shape or form until my bank notified me of the charges. This "business" provides students the ability to cheat on exams, which you can find evidence of on Reddit. Their entire purpose is fraud. Still looking for a California license but I don't think they have one, I think they are out of India. They are nothing but a scam.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I cannot figure out how to view page numbers in Chegg's eReader service. I've downloaded both the app on my Android and used my computer. The only answer on google is locked behind Chegg's 15$ Paywall.

Original review: March 29, 2021

It’s clear, from other people on here, that they are having the same problem as me, but here’s my story. I have used Chegg for a while. For the most part, they were fine. They were good for studying and providing solutions to problems that I could go back and review to see what I got right or what I missed on homework problems. It was good feedback, and helped me immensely.

But something changed this year (2021 specifically). They changed how they recorded devices, is my best guess, and now, instead of just recording the two devices you’re allowed to have associated with your account, they now record your IP address. Which means, if you work or study from more than one place, your account is going to get suspended. Why did they do something so asinine? Who knows. Some idiot over there thought this was a good idea. So, okay, the first couple of times this happens, I go to tech support to figure out what’s going on. They give me some troubleshooting tips, but the problem keeps happening. So I go back, explain the problem again, and they give me the same tips. I explain to them that they don’t work, and they have no answer, they can’t unlock my account, and they can’t refund my money because my account is locked, because they locked it! This went on for THREE WEEKS!

Nobody seems to know what is going on at Chegg, and it appears you can only use their website at one location, so don’t plan on moving around if you’re a working student, like I am, and don’t expect a refund. They just steal your money, lock your account, and tell you there’s nothing they can do for you. Absolute TRASH! DO NOT USE CHEGG! Their website is broken, and they will not fix it, and instead blame the problems on you.

Original review: March 25, 2021

So, I am a college student and I have been using Chegg for a while now. Although it does have its perks, it also has its problems. I pay almost $15/month to utilize their services, which means I should be able to do with my account as I please. I have an iPad, MacBook, and an iPhone; all of which I use for both school and personal use. On my iPad and iPhone I use both the Chegg study app and Chegg.com to do my work. As of recently and times in the past, they have started to both suspend my account and require me to change my password because I either use Chegg on too many devices or they accuse me of sharing my account.

Within the past year I have had to change my password over 5 times due to them believing I was sharing my account. I have had to change password because I alternated between devices too many times and I honestly think it is getting ridiculous. I am not going to lie, I enjoy using Chegg, but I don't enjoy being told how I can access a service that I pay for. If it was a free subscription, I would not care, but since money is being taking out of account to utilize these services, I should be able to do as I please. Why does it matter how many devices I have? If they can track how many times I have switched back and forth between devices, they should be able to tell that all these devices are registered to me, and me only. If I didn't use Chegg so much, I would definitely cancel my subscription and not look back, but I am honestly so frustrated with their policies and rules that I decided that it was important to write the review.

Original review: March 24, 2021

Be careful. They just charge you monthly. Not possible to cancel the order or subscription in their website. Not a reasonable service. You pay money and receive a little service. That's it. They keep your information including credit card information and you are not able to remove them.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I have use the service before and it was ok. Back in January I decided to sign up again to be able to study remotely. When I did it in my old iPad, service was normal, but when I decided to update my iPad problem started and the system did NOT work. Worst of all, I called on the 10th and the lady directed me to do few things to correct the problem, I did all I was directed and did not work nor I received the phone call I was to get from the expert in the system.

On the 19th called again and I was told almost the very same stuff, nothing has happen yet. Called back again an hour ago and they told me now that, the problem is apple because they are providing them service in my iPad. To make it simple- CHEGG is NOT longer a reliable company nor they provide the service they charge for. They took my money for a month and I received 1.5 weeks of service and the run around for more than 2 weeks. My recommendation is to DO NOT pay services to this company. DO NOT TRUST CHEGG.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

We bought a textbook from them almost a year ago. Beware, they slip in a monthly subscription service whenever you simply buy a book from them without you ever realizing it. They asked if we wanted a subscription - a pop up window and we said "no". But they gave it to us anyway! So we ended up being charged $14.95 every single month for almost a year now and just discovered it when our credit card called us as it was considered suspicious activity. We never willingly signed up for a subscription. We only bought a book. When I called them to refund all the money they took from us, they would only refund 3 months! What a load of ** this company is!! BEWARE - do not buy anything from them!!! They are very sly in sliding a subscription past you. I am not impressed with their unethical business practices.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I rented two ebooks and a textbook, when I went to use the ebooks I had rented there was no history of my purchases. I was already charged and yet no history of my purchase only through my bank. When I called the person who handle my call was very unprofessional and no apology at all for their mistake. Then gave me attitude and responded all I had to know was that I was gonna get a refund, which I said, "How are you gonna fix this problem because now I had a class to attend and no book." Secondly I had to cancel my debit card because Chegg tried to charge me again for a book that I already was charged for.

So for the second time I had to call them and asked if I was already charged for the book that was being mailed to me. They confirmed it was so when I asked for an explanation as to why they try to charge me again I got no answer. Instead I got attitude and no answer as to how they would refund me if my card was already canceled, they didn’t even have the card information on file. How is this even possible. Horrible experience. I don’t recommend Chegg at all. They are so unprofessional and double charging is unacceptable.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

Multiple fraudulent "Chegg Order" charges to my credit card, notified Visa & canceled card today. Google lists many instances of such activity & the BBB lists 384 complaints. WHAT is going on with this company. I seldom use this credit card and trying to figure how "Chegg" processed 2 different charges to their site[?].

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I tried to get my books early for school to have them ready. As it turns out, my school cancelled the class I was enrolled in due to low enrollment numbers; however, since it was past the 21-day return policy for Chegg (they go off of order date) I wasn’t able to receive a refund so I’m completely out of the money I paid. Never ordering from here again. Unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I ordered my textbooks and went to check on the status of the order days later only to find one book had been canceled. I went from paying $78 to having to pay $110 for the same book a few days later and Chegg would only offer me a %15 discount. Their explanation was that they must have run out, got more in stock, and jacked the prices up to $110 now. I asked on the Chegg chat if I would have any issues with my orders going through Chegg and was assured this was a great site and I'd be thrilled with my experience. Now I will have a week less to prepare for classes and I had to spend a lot more than I had planned to spend.... Livid.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I lost my textbooks in a housefire 4 days before exam week. Chegg is going to charge me full price for not returning the books. Or, I can buy the books from somewhere else and return them. Nothing like adding more stress during this already stressful time. Apparently, I haven't lost enough already. I've been a faithful customer since I started college. The fire marshal is willing to send them a copy of the report. Some companies are only about the bottom dollar!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I could not accept the idea of what 1 account use only device. Even when I swap to my only device so they just only allow to swap one a month, and they send the verified code by mail but could not use that. Finally, they blocked my account because many attempts. Thump down.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

I used to love books during my undergrad and when they were going through UPS. Now that they changed to FedEx they kind of started to go downhill. I am in graduate school and have ordered books there two times before. Each time I returned my books I would get emails upon emails saying my Chegg books are due and they would charge me $6 if they aren't due on time. They actually did charge me a couple of times because I thought with COVID maybe FedEx is late. However, they just weren't processed.

This time, I ordered two books, put them in the same box and sent them back. They only processed one... I know the other one got there because they were in the same box. They sent me another email saying my books are due and if I don't return them they will charge me again. In other words, might have to start using Amazon if I keep getting these emails about how my books (that are in the same box) haven't been processed.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

I initially joined Chegg for homework help for a Accounting Math class. I used the service on the laptop. I tried to use it at work but was told I was not able to since it was a shared device. I then used only my laptop. Today, I was sent an email accusing my of using many devices and that they were going to suspend my account. I immediately cancelled this subscription. If I could have given them 0 stars I would have. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

After one week of use, my account was suspended on "suspicion of being a shared account". I'm the only user. It took 3 days for Chegg to unlock my account. I never received a clear explanation from customer service, but their agents indicated any of the following can get an account flagged as "shared" and suspended:

-using a different browser or operating system
    -using a different WiFi access point, point-of-presence, or IP address
    -having more than 1 tab open at a time
    -using a VPN or ANY privacy plugins
    -studying for more than one class, topic or textbook

-clearing cookies. Ever.

Chegg.com does not mention any of these restrictions during account creation. If they had, I never would have paid for a subscription; these limitations make the service almost unusable from a mobile device. Even after adhering to those guidelines, my account was suspended again after another week. I don't know if Chegg.com suffers from technical incompetence, or if they're deliberately limiting usage. I do know that after paying for a month of service, I've had less than 2 weeks of access and hours of wasted time.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

Continuously get locked out of my account although I am the sole user. Their tracking system now locks users out for having too many tabs open, claiming a breach of their sharing policy. What was a good site last year has become a a pain in the backside. My account has been suspended 3 times for no reason, often during timed assignments. If I could give less stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Chegg fraudulently added a subscription to my order. They hung up on me 3 times when I tried to resolve it. Finally, a person recorded my complaint but did not honor their commitment to reimbursing me.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I returned a rented textbook May or June 2020c, they charged me a late fee because they never scanned it in. Queue, I reached out and told them I returned it on time, they checked and said I did return it and that they never checked it back in properly on their end (I have Facebook Messages to prove this) and then they refunded my money. However, a month after this incident, they are doing it again and charging me even more for the same book that has been in their possession for nearly 6 months. I am on hold with customer service and have been for 30 minutes now. No given wait time and I am beyond frustrated with them for doing this yet again, for the same book!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I have had a Chegg account for the last 3 months and every time I try to use the service it brings up a DEVICE LIMIT screen which blocks the ability to use the service. I am paying a monthly subscription fee but feel like it is a total scam. I have spoken to a live chat rep every day this week and the only solution to my problem is they offer me a free device swap but they never fix the problem, for being located in Silicon Valley they are probably the worst IT department out of any company I have ever dealt with. I feel like this is a complete scam and a rip-off. I wish I could take them to court for all the back pay I have paid them for a service that NEVER works as promised.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I have been trying to access textbook solutions for a month now. It keeps telling me that my device is not registered and I have to swap it. Well, I swapped it a few times but it's still the same. I asked for help from Chegg but then when I log back in it's the same problem all over again. I feel like wasting my money. It's not helpful if I'm not able to access it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

My daughter used this service in college. After she graduated, we received a renewal charge for services in advance. We canceled, and they have continued to charge us annually. The credit card company says they are unable to cancel due to the terms of their merchant agreement. Be very careful doing business with this company. They push fraudulent subscription charges through on your credit card for several years and apparently can get away with it.

Chegg.com Company Information