2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Bad customer service. Can't reach them at all. No live chat, no response in social media, Waited for 1 hour for password setup email. Never appeared. They need to be responsive, because students are writng to write papers.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Last year when I was a freshman in college I used Chegg and had a good experience, so I was looking forward to using them this year, but my experience with them so far has been absolutely annoying and aggravating, and I will never use them again. I ordered my books early this year, and although my old debit was on file on my account, I entered my new one before confirming my order. A week and a half past, and I still hadn't received my order. At the time, I assumed shipping was going to be slow because of Covid, but then days began to past and I still haven't received an order, and the tracking was not updated. Although they refunded my shipping, I still needed my books.

I went back and checked my order, just to realize that the order was put under my OLD debit card. My order was still awaiting shipment. I understand this could've been more of my mistake, however I know I gave them my new debit card, so it's annoying how they were using my old card on the order, which obviously wouldn't work. And then they neglected to tell me earlier that there was a payment problem.

I wish that that was my last complaint with them. But, after canceling my order, I went back and reordered my books, making sure they were put on my new card. About a week after I finally got my books, they sent them AGAIN and have changed me twice for the books. Extremely frustrating and annoying, especially since I pay for my books and school by myself.

Lastly, I found out yesterday that they want to charge me for a communications book I returned in MARCH. I have already emailed customer service and told them I returned the book, so hopefully that problem will be taken care of. I feel like chegg has gotten worse this school year. Customer service is awful, and takes forever to get through to get help. College students already have enough stress, especially this year with the pandemic, the unprofessionalism and disorganization of this TEXTBOOK company unfortunately has just been adding more.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I have been trying to access this site for two hours. Ever since Chegg's greedy device tracking system was installed, I've had nothing but issues. Tonight I spent 2 hours online with Customer service after 3 calls and no RESOLUTION. Every time I log in I receive a pop up box that states I have reached my maximum devices. I use one computer and one computer only! Customer support walked me through some steps that they said would resolve a bug on my account but after following the steps 4 times, I still receive a pop up box that states my account is restricted or that I have reached my maximum devices. They have issued a trouble ticket. I will post again when I receive a response from Chegg. Tracking system with their new account states only two devices. I have the same two devices on my account. I.e. the same computer twice. Looks like a software roll out with a lot of bugs to me.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

With the experience I've had lately, I am done with renting books from Chegg. I have been renting from Chegg since I first started college and have never had a problem until now, but it’s been bad enough that I know I don’t want to go through this ever again. First, I rented a used textbook for $50 that came horribly damaged, with the pages not even attached to the binding, and some pages completely loose. If I’m paying $50 for a book, it better be in good condition. I was told I would be sent a new book. That order was canceled, and I am now stuck with probably one of the most beat-up books I've ever seen. I sent an email asking if they would be getting any more copies in and never received a response.

Then, less than a week later, I got an email about a book I had rented last semester that needed to be returned. The book had already been returned three weeks prior, and I had received an email acknowledging that they knew so. I sat in a queue for over an hour waiting for someone to talk to. When I explained my situation, I was told (word-for-word), “It looks like your books have been delivered to our warehouse on 8/24/2020 and I have taken care of that for you. You’ll notice in your account that it states “reported missing”. Don’t worry about that status, you’re all set!”

I was not “all set”. This morning I received yet another email, this time telling me that my book still hasn’t been returned and that if it isn’t returned by four days from now, I’m going to be charged $166. I called Chegg customer support, and luckily this time, I did not have to wait. I told them about the email I had received this morning and about the previous conversation with customer support from just a few days ago. They pretty much repeated to me the same thing that the other person said. I said, “This is the same thing I was told last time. How do I know I’m not going to be charged?” “Well, if you are charged, we can easily refund it.” Not good enough. They then went on to say, “It’s probably a glitch in the system.” Awfully expensive glitch! And a glitch that I was told had already been taken care of at that!

I’m already expecting to be charged the $166. I have no faith that anyone from Chegg is actually going to try to solve this “glitch”. I will call, get the money refunded, and then I will take my business elsewhere in the future. I am not a hard person to please, but never in my life have I ever had service this terrible. Amazon will be receiving my business from now on.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Do not use Chegg if you ever want to drop the class. You won't get your money back, even if you don't touch the book. I tried to return the book and was put on hold for 30 minutes and then told no refund. Don't use Chegg.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

This has been a really bad experience. They do not keep in touch with you. I all of the sudden saw a charge of over $200 on my credit card. I called and was told that as long as I returned the books my account would be credited in full. That was over 6 weeks ago. I sent an email 3 weeks ago and never heard back. I am currently on hold for over an hour waiting to find out where my refund is and why it's taking so long. I will be calling my credit card company and making a complaint.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

Facts. Ordered Ebooks not available on site. Account says I have no orders or Ebooks. Chat person hung up on me. Called twice waited two hours finally got someone who said they weren't sure and were looking then got hung up on. Checked my payment and it went through.

Original review: July 31, 2020

First of all, I will state that I only uses the solution department for Chegg and I only ask question about calculus class. So, my experiences may differ from everyone else who also uses the solution part for chegg. Ok so let's get this straight, I can say that 80% of the solution that chegg provides about a hard calculus question is partially wrong. The good thing is, the answer is usually already provides a good first step about the question you asked.

But after that, the final answer is somehow become wrong. Which could happen because most of the people that answer your question either just changed some of the number or even add a random number in between the steps to make the question faster and easier to finish, which obviously resulting in a wrong answer. In the end, DON'T rely to much with chegg solution for calculus if you didn't understand anything about the material of the question you asked. As you may not notice that the answer is actually wrong, or you will end up with a bad grade just like me.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I graduated in 2014. I just discovered I have been paying for EasyBib (a paid citation service) since July 2018, to the tune of $9.95 a month. It's now July 2020. Neither of the two reps I spoke with were willing to give me the contact information listed on "my" account, its a secret. This is fraud, I never signed up for this service. MS Word does it for free, why would I pay Chegg?

Chegg offered a credit for one month. 24 months at $9.95. I get that it's my fault for not catching it sooner, but one month? I asked how many citations were saved/used, he said none. How much activity was noted on the account overall? "Ohh no, that's a secret." I guess if your company is criminal at heart, this would be a pretty good scam. Keep credit cards that had been used once or twice over the last 10 years then open a fake account and use the info from the card to pay.

Chegg stated the subscription had been cancelled as of today. No cancellation number so I guess that remains to be seen. I mean, how can I cancel a paid subscription when I could not verify any of the account information? Side Note: In 2016 Chegg stock was around $8.00 a share, today, July 2020 $73.42. Since Covid is taking over how a student will attend school, I can see that stock climbing. Only problem is the center of this stock is rotten, wormy and foul. B E W A R E O F C H E G G.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I purchased a subscription to Chegg Study. I use the subscription at home, on my laptop, phone, and at work. As a result, Chegg falsely identified my account as a "shared" account and suspended my subscription. When I called to explain my situation, they told me there was nothing they could do. I would have to wait 48 hours to see if they were going to unsuspend my account. When I asked to speak to someone who could unlock my account, I was told that there was no one. This is a very poor customer experience. If anyone utilizes this service from multiple devices, be aware they will falsely accuse you of sharing an account so they can bill you for an additional account. This is clearly fraud.

Chegg.com Company Information