2. Education
  3. Textbook Rental

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

After one week of use, my account was suspended on "suspicion of being a shared account". I'm the only user. It took 3 days for Chegg to unlock my account. I never received a clear explanation from customer service, but their agents indicated any of the following can get an account flagged as "shared" and suspended:

-using a different browser or operating system
    -using a different WiFi access point, point-of-presence, or IP address
    -having more than 1 tab open at a time
    -using a VPN or ANY privacy plugins
    -studying for more than one class, topic or textbook

-clearing cookies. Ever.

Chegg.com does not mention any of these restrictions during account creation. If they had, I never would have paid for a subscription; these limitations make the service almost unusable from a mobile device. Even after adhering to those guidelines, my account was suspended again after another week. I don't know if Chegg.com suffers from technical incompetence, or if they're deliberately limiting usage. I do know that after paying for a month of service, I've had less than 2 weeks of access and hours of wasted time.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

Continuously get locked out of my account although I am the sole user. Their tracking system now locks users out for having too many tabs open, claiming a breach of their sharing policy. What was a good site last year has become a a pain in the backside. My account has been suspended 3 times for no reason, often during timed assignments. If I could give less stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Chegg fraudulently added a subscription to my order. They hung up on me 3 times when I tried to resolve it. Finally, a person recorded my complaint but did not honor their commitment to reimbursing me.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I returned a rented textbook May or June 2020c, they charged me a late fee because they never scanned it in. Queue, I reached out and told them I returned it on time, they checked and said I did return it and that they never checked it back in properly on their end (I have Facebook Messages to prove this) and then they refunded my money. However, a month after this incident, they are doing it again and charging me even more for the same book that has been in their possession for nearly 6 months. I am on hold with customer service and have been for 30 minutes now. No given wait time and I am beyond frustrated with them for doing this yet again, for the same book!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I have had a Chegg account for the last 3 months and every time I try to use the service it brings up a DEVICE LIMIT screen which blocks the ability to use the service. I am paying a monthly subscription fee but feel like it is a total scam. I have spoken to a live chat rep every day this week and the only solution to my problem is they offer me a free device swap but they never fix the problem, for being located in Silicon Valley they are probably the worst IT department out of any company I have ever dealt with. I feel like this is a complete scam and a rip-off. I wish I could take them to court for all the back pay I have paid them for a service that NEVER works as promised.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I have been trying to access textbook solutions for a month now. It keeps telling me that my device is not registered and I have to swap it. Well, I swapped it a few times but it's still the same. I asked for help from Chegg but then when I log back in it's the same problem all over again. I feel like wasting my money. It's not helpful if I'm not able to access it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

My daughter used this service in college. After she graduated, we received a renewal charge for services in advance. We canceled, and they have continued to charge us annually. The credit card company says they are unable to cancel due to the terms of their merchant agreement. Be very careful doing business with this company. They push fraudulent subscription charges through on your credit card for several years and apparently can get away with it.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

This company is fraudulent!!! Please stay away, I've had account with them for one year and decided to close the account when school finished 6 months ago for me. It wasn't until recently that I noticed several charges on my account. Over 30 dollars for a book I never purchased obviously 'cause I closed my account and don't even go to school! I will be reporting this fraudulent activity and letting every student in my class know about this ridiculousness, they can't get students to sign up so they charge them. LOL. Not on my watch!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Bad customer service. Can't reach them at all. No live chat, no response in social media, Waited for 1 hour for password setup email. Never appeared. They need to be responsive, because students are writng to write papers.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Last year when I was a freshman in college I used Chegg and had a good experience, so I was looking forward to using them this year, but my experience with them so far has been absolutely annoying and aggravating, and I will never use them again. I ordered my books early this year, and although my old debit was on file on my account, I entered my new one before confirming my order. A week and a half past, and I still hadn't received my order. At the time, I assumed shipping was going to be slow because of Covid, but then days began to past and I still haven't received an order, and the tracking was not updated. Although they refunded my shipping, I still needed my books.

I went back and checked my order, just to realize that the order was put under my OLD debit card. My order was still awaiting shipment. I understand this could've been more of my mistake, however I know I gave them my new debit card, so it's annoying how they were using my old card on the order, which obviously wouldn't work. And then they neglected to tell me earlier that there was a payment problem.

I wish that that was my last complaint with them. But, after canceling my order, I went back and reordered my books, making sure they were put on my new card. About a week after I finally got my books, they sent them AGAIN and have changed me twice for the books. Extremely frustrating and annoying, especially since I pay for my books and school by myself.

Lastly, I found out yesterday that they want to charge me for a communications book I returned in MARCH. I have already emailed customer service and told them I returned the book, so hopefully that problem will be taken care of. I feel like chegg has gotten worse this school year. Customer service is awful, and takes forever to get through to get help. College students already have enough stress, especially this year with the pandemic, the unprofessionalism and disorganization of this TEXTBOOK company unfortunately has just been adding more.

Chegg.com Company Information