Sylvan Learning Centers

4.9(1,412)

About Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan Learning Center offers individualized in-person or online educational support to children and their families. Most of its students receive a combination of tutoring, homework assistance and help with college prep and study skills.

Featured Reviews

Verified
Canfield, OH

We had private tutors before but Sylvan was more structured and more organized… We have them for Math and English. The tutor was able to improve my son's knowledge and gave him sk...

Verified
Toledo, OH

One of my coworkers told me about Sylvan Learning Centers. So far, the program has been building my son's confidence and is working on comprehending what he is reading. It has bee...

What is Sylvan Learning Center?

Sylvan Learning Center offers test prep, college prep and tutoring courses. Every child’s learning plan with Sylvan is individualized to their needs — Sylvan combines teaching and technology to ensure each child gets the support they need to succeed. It starts by assessing each child to create a personalized plan. Then, tutors start the program, adapting alongside the child as their skills grow.

Families have the option to choose between an online or in-person schedule at one of the many Sylvan Learning Centers across the nation. Online tutoring is live and offers the same benefits as in-person sessions.

Sylvan Learning Center costs

Sylvan offers a variety of affordable and customizable educational programs. Each plan includes convenient scheduling and flexible payment options. All prices are set by local facilities, so costs vary widely. For example, personalized tutoring starts at $44 per hour in Kansas City, Missouri and $57 per hour in Brooklyn, New York.

Its other programs include a hybrid curriculum designed to support in-school learning. Sylvan also offers test prep, tutoring, classes, camps and college prep. These services start at around $50 per hour.

Sylvan Learning Centers FAQ

How much does Sylvan ACT prep cost?

ACT prep costs around $46 per hour, on average. Costs vary depending on location.

Does Sylvan offer financial aid?

Yes. Local Sylvan Learning Centers offer financial aid and scholarships based on financial need. These are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.

How much does Sylvan Learning Center cost per month?

Tutoring starts at $44 per hour. Depending on how many sessions you need per month, the cost can vary greatly. Sylvan recommends that children with intensive tutoring needs enroll in two to three tutoring sessions per week.

Is Sylvan Learning Center a good franchise?

Yes. Sylvan is trusted by many families, schools and communities. Many reviewers state they had positive experiences with the company.

Is Sylvan Learning Center worth it?

Sylvan Learning Center is a well-known name in the education industry. With a variety of services and the ability to personalize programs for each student, Sylvan offers a solution for most families in need of educational assistance. Though prices range greatly from location to location, Sylvan typically offers reasonable rates when compared to local tutoring companies.

Stars Rating

• 87%
  • 12%
  • 1%
  • 0%
  • 0%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?
    Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed March 25, 2024

We've been extraordinarily happy with Sylvan. My daughter was feeling less confident about mathematics so I've been having Sylvan work more with that with her. My son is struggling with physical writing and also organizing and composing his thoughts so I've had them working with him with reading. They have done a wonderful job working with him. I wish they did more physical writing with him but their program doesn't focus as much on that. But over time, we've built stronger relationships. We feel almost a devotion to Sylvan now. They've become a part of our growing up landscape. The kids rely on their social connections there as much as their learning support. Their confidence has been bolstered by the small group learning setting, specialized focus, and also the incentives that they offer.

Sylvan is very helpful at motivating my kids and feeling like school is a priority and fun too. They never balk at going. In fact, they enjoy going to sessions. They earn points when they excel in something or complete something or they've done extra work. They get excited about earning these points. They're motivated to do outside extra work that supports their general foundational knowledge. They think about all the things they wanna get when they get there. They're learning and incentivized to learn more because of the outcome that they get.

I'm very pleased that Sylvan has been flexible with us when we've had to arrange breaks because of vacations. The communication is very reasonable. I have a warm feeling of being supported. We were gonna stop Sylvan because of financial issues but our children asked us to not stop Sylvan. My daughter said she feels stronger and she can ask questions that she can't ask in school. My son feels connected to the people there. He's got some issues with communication and there’s a lot of negative feedback at school sometimes. Sylvan gives him a more positive feedback. They're able to help him calm down and to focus and complete things. That also helps him to be grounded in his knowledge base and confidence.

I'm grateful that I have this resource because my time is very limited. It's super helpful to have folks who are trained to teach my kids in a way that they can receive the information in a very efficient manner. It covers gaps that have been missed from the COVID era. Having them scanning for things that have been missed so that they still have a good foundation is nice.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed March 24, 2024

We've used Sylvan for my grandson for quite a few years now and we've had a good experience. He only goes once a week now but he was going at one point for three days a week for a couple of hours a night. The only thing that I'm seeing that would be a little bit negative is the change in employees. But I've got businesses and I know what it's like because it's everywhere right now. It seems like nobody wants to work. But other than that, we've been happy with Sylvan. It's been good for him and I would recommend it.

Sylvan focused on English and Math in the past but right now, he's not focused on either one of those. He does not have the time to try to get ahead. He likes Lynn, the one that he works with right now in Tiffin, Ohio. They seem to mesh well. He’s at the level he should be. But we haven't done a lot of testing here recently because he's going to a public school and just getting help on homework. It's been an adjustment and a different school too. He's in a church school. He was homeschooled for two years so it’s been a difficult thing. He's in eighth grade and the older they get, the harder it is for them to teach themselves. When we were trying to get him caught back up as far as when he got behind, you could see continuous progress so he was more up to grade level. He was down quite a bit and I had that feeling he was. He was telling me he was struggling. But for an eighth grader, he is tuned in to everything.

My grandson goes from 5:00 to 7:00 at night to Sylvan and by the time I get him back home anywhere between 7:30 and a quarter till 8:00, that's getting late and sometimes, he still has homework to finish when he gets home. That's been a little bit of a complaint with his dad. My grandson works a little slower and sometimes he's gotta wait for the teacher because there's another student in there. When he was doing Math and trying to catch up, I saw a lot of good and it was more worth it. But we cut back to one day. I can’t take him that many days. It's just too much. It's been a discussion. It's not terrible drive time but if they have a lot of homework, he should be just sitting there and working on it.

I usually pick him up at 4 o'clock from his house because I take him to get something to eat before he goes. And then I make sure he's there by 5:00. So, there's an hour. And by the time I get him home, it's another 45 minutes. But he likes Sylvan and he would like to go. So, I just bite the bullet and do it. But I didn't buy any more tutoring. I've got a lot of money in what I have done though and when this runs out, I'll have to probably see what happens next, when he starts in the fall.

We go to a satellite office in Tiffin, which is small, and they’ve had changes recently. I had dealt with a couple of women who were in there consistently since he was going and they both left at the same time. But customer service-wise, I haven’t had trouble. For the most part, it's been very good dealing with people. It's not perfect but we're not in a perfect world these days.

My grandson had a few tutors who weren't up to snuff but it's going good again. So, for the most part, he's had ones that he was happy with. He's had a few that just did not help him. They didn't have the knowledge. I probably should have called and said something, but it was during that time when things had just changed and I was trying to wait it out and see if it would even out and get better. I shouldn't probably do that, but I did, not with the price you pay for it. If you get in on that fall or winter, Sylvan has a sale. It's much better if you buy a package and get that discount. But if you just come in and buy it at any time, it's pricey.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed Jan. 11, 2024

The enrollment process was really easy, and quick. The moment I submitted the form online, I got a phone call right away. My child really liked the tutors. He feels like he's learning a lot. It's smaller group setting, so he's getting a lot of one-on-one time with the tutor. His reading level has improved. I like that it's more private and focused type of program that some children may need. In general, my interaction with the Sylvan staff has been really good. I really like the texting feature. At the Piedmont branch, all of the staff are very friendly and helpful. But the whole scheduling needs some improvement. It needs to be more detailed.

It's great that Sylvan is available through text. Most of the time, they respond very quickly. But there's a lot of miscommunication through text. When we schedule my child and we want a certain schedule, it's confirmed and someone says, “Oh, it’s confirmed through the text.” But when my child shows up at the confirmed time, they say, “Oh, no. He's not scheduled.” My husband was there and he showed the text on our phone that someone confirmed it. So they said, “Okay. We'll take him in.”

There was also an instance when my child was scheduled for a two-hour block. When I dropped him off, I said, “Oh, is he confirmed for this two-hour block? Because I won't see you until two hours. I'll pick up in two hours.” They said, “Yes, it is.” Then about an hour later, I got a text saying, “Oh, sorry. Your child is not actually scheduled for two hours. He's waiting in the lobby to be picked up.” No parent wants that text, especially if it was already previously confirmed. Plus, reconfirmed when I dropped him off.

Another issue is that sometimes they don't pick up the phone. It's hard to get someone on the phone. So, at the time of the two-hour block, I was calling them while driving on the way to pick him up but no one was answering the phone. But when I got there, he was in a session and then I spoke to the person there who texted me and she explained, “Oh, sorry. It’s actually a someone who called in.” But I told them, “If you had to leave him outside, can you please call the parent? Not a text?” They should call for urgent matters. If they left the child outside, I would pull them off from Sylvan. But then because we talked it out and he was in a session, I'm giving Sylvan another chance. They should work on communicating with the parents. They should text more accurately.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2023

When I enrolled my son at Sylvan, I was looking for a bit more information and I only got a little bit. Maybe it was the time constraint of my appointment. Their rep needed to get me in and get me out. There was a lot of other questions that I had that I had forgotten to ask. But all in all, what really mattered was that my Cody ended up getting the help that he needed. He's in the honor roll and he's the highest in his class. He likes to be on top of everything and when he wasn't understanding a few things in their Math class along with another student, a friend of his, they were stumped. He wanted to get help from the teacher, but the teacher seemed very agitated and had his hands full.

He was excited to go to Sylvan and we live about 20 minutes away from there. So, I had to set up his sessions where they would be right after school and I had to drive him straight over there on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And each session would be for an hour. So, I would pay for four hours, then again four hours once the four hours were all done. It really helped him a lot to get a better understanding of what he was doing because he would take his homework and write down questions when he was in class so that he would give them to the tutor there at Sylvan.

Cody was so happy with the guy there and he said he wanted to keep coming because he helped him understand his lessons. Every time we go, he's excited to go to Sylvan. He told me that they have one tutor and the tutor has Cody and three other students with him. And the students could be a high school student, elementary and middle school, and that one tutor is working with all four of them with whatever struggles they might have in Math where they need to get. So, Cody would tell me he does his part and when the tutor comes around to him, then he'd help him then he'd go over it. But because the environment was quiet, he's okay and he does well. At his school, he can't stand some of the classes because the students are very loud. There's a lot of disruptions from unruly students talking back to the teacher and kicking around things. And Cody gets frustrated.

Other than that, the customer service at Sylvan is not there. When I went on the first day to take Cody to his tutor, a young guy opens the door, with a hoodie and shorts. I though he was some teenager. When he opened the door, he confirmed it it was Cody and when I said yes, he told him to get inside. I asked him who he was because he was just going to take Cody. He gave me his name and asked who was Cody's tutor. I said I would like to meet them before I drop Cody off and I wanted to know who they were. He said that he was the tutor and he wasn't smiling. If anything, he almost felt like I was asking too much. I asked if he was certified and he said, if it helps, he was going to school for that. But it didn't matter to me what school he was going to and he wasn't being forthcoming.

I was thrown off and I felt really bad because I had no idea he was a tutor and he didn't give me the right information so that I could change my attitude towards who he was. His attitude wasn't very professional for me. I also went outside to wait for Cody that day and I was really upset because if I was going to pay $48 an hour, I would like some feedback to know what it is they were going to do. The response I got was that he was not on a program and that he was going to be doing homework. That's subpar. So I stayed and when I asked Cody how his first hour was, he said it was really good and he really got a lot of help. So, as long as he was okay with that guy helping him, then I was okay.

StaffProcess

Reviewed July 2, 2023

My grandson’s grades were continually going down. I tried a list through the school of tutoring but there was difficulty and I was at my wits’ end. Then, I even asked his counselor to call him back in to see how he was doing when I had my second phone call with him. And he never did. I wasn't getting help at the school. And they're in the Crown Point School System. It is great if you're a good student but I wasn't getting him the help he needed. I was emailing and talking to teachers. They had an advisory class and the kids would have to leave and go to the class. And then he would tell me they were doing some testing. On his part, he didn't wanna leave the class out of embarrassment that he needed help. So, I needed to get him away from the school environment because he didn't wanna feel like he didn't know his studies.

I just happened to be in therapy and the therapist and I were having a conversation. If I wouldn't have had her recommendation, I still would have been floundering. So, I would be able to save the school some steps and aggravation because it was a daily chore trying to figure out how to get help for my grandson. It's appalling that the school didn't have any answers for me.

I'm very happy with Sylvan’s program. Jen, the director, is very good and I enjoy talking with her. She's very thorough and gives good feedback. Jayden’s doing very well in attending there. As far as his attitude, I have no problem getting him there. So far, everything's been great. I'm gonna try to keep him going during the school year. It's gonna be a little bit of a struggle, but I gotta try to make something work out. The learning experience is good. He was going at the end of last school year to go for help with homework and it was helping. He was struggling. It's happened two years in a row where he was doing good at the beginning of the school but as learning got harder, his grades were declining. So, hopefully, I see a change in eighth grade. He had two years of e-learning, so it hit him hard.

I just spoke with the tutor yesterday regarding my grandson’s progress in Reading for the summer program and he is achieving skills. So, he's going into eighth grade. He was reading at a sixth-grade level and now he's almost up to a seventh. He's not there yet but he's still in the program. He goes from 8:30 to 9:30 and one of the teachers that he has was a substitute at his middle school, so he knows the one. He enjoys all the teachers so he hasn't complained about any of them.

PriceStaff

Reviewed June 10, 2024

Sylvan Learning has been awesome. Everyone's great when I go there, and my daughter loves the lady that helps her. She was bored yesterday and said, "I wish I had Sylvan today." She wants to go there when it's not even scheduled. It's good that she loves it. There was another little girl in her class that I'm friends with her mom, and I mentioned to do Sylvan instead of summer school. It is a little expensive though. This summer, I cut down to one day a week because of that, plus I have to pay for summer care.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed June 9, 2024

If your child is struggling in any area and you are looking for a difference, sign up with Sylvan Learning Centers. It is not cheap, but it is worth every dime. It is much better, more hands-on, smaller setting. So, my son was able to focus better. Also, the tutors do wonderfully. Some of them are older, so they take a little time. All of them are in education in some kind of way. They're hands-on and helpful. They help rein it in for my son. He has mastered a ton of skills since he has been there. He enjoys it. We do every Wednesday and Saturday. When children get home from school, they just wanna veg out. But once my son came from Sylvan, I could tell he learned something. He would be more plugged in and more engaged when he would come home. I could tell that he was stimulated when he was there.

When we first started there, they were going through some management changes. So, the communication was a sketchy at first. But once Doctor Ira took over, it has been consistent. I'm talking about the reminder apps going out when they're supposed to, him greeting us when we're there. If it was not him greeting us, it would be Miss Leslie. It's personable. I appreciate it.

Staff

Reviewed June 9, 2024

My kids had a good experience at Sylvan. The instructors were good. My kids improved somewhat. There's still a lot of room for improvement. But they understood some of the concepts a little bit better. We'll use them if needed in future still.

PriceStaff

Reviewed June 9, 2024

They help my child with chemistry and math. He's been getting help with his homework and he has improved on his test scores since then. He also likes his tutor. But it's a little expensive.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed June 9, 2024

I would recommend Sylvan. My child was tutored in Math and ELA and it was a very positive experience. His self-confidence has improved and it was what got him turned around. James, my son, is my wife's nephew. We had a kinship guardian on him when he was four years old and he is now 12. Almost five years ago, my wife passed away, and James wanted to stay with me, and I had to fight his mother and all my in-laws. So he was put through the wringer. We had to adopt him and it was such a long process. He was worn down mentally at the end of all this. So Sylvan was almost like a wake-up call. The director of the location that I'm dealing with knew the ins and outs of the educational process from dealing with the different districts and she was very helpful in getting me to decipher what my district was about to do to me, which is extremely unfair. The DCP&P would be involved and I did not wanna go that route at all.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information