4.71/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

288 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Sylvan Learning Center Beaumont, TX - My son goes to Sylvan since he was in grade 6. Now he is a junior. He loves to go to Sylvan. The teachers are very helpful and knowledgeable. The scheduling is very flexible. I see so much improvement in my son due to Sylvan. I am very thankful to Sylvan. I will definitely recommend it.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

One of the first things that caught my information was the Groupon as I was scrolling through, looking for other things, and Sylvan Learning kept coming up in the feed, “Tutoring Sylvan, discount. You can get an evaluation with four sessions at a discounted rate.” And when my child was struggling in math, I remembered seeing the Groupon. So I went back in, and it was still available. Before I purchased it, it made me wanna do a bit of research. I was living in Castro Valley, California at the time, and I wanted to know what type of tutoring services were available in my sort of immediate vicinity. My husband went by a Kumon, and he didn't know how he felt about it. So, I went and was highly disappointed and turned off by their method. My child was too far behind according to their assessment. At that very moment, we had a specific type of need, and they cannot meet that need.

So then, I went to Sylvan, sat down with them to get an idea what their method was, and how they could be of help possibly to our family. I like knowing that not only could my student get help with their homework, but if they knew that they had a test or a quiz coming up, that they could get specific help addressing the topics that would be covered on that upcoming exam. And if there was no homework or there was no upcoming exam, that Sylvan would be able to still provide their own materials to build up the areas needing improvement of my child's personal development. Even the initial assessment that identifies areas of weakness was great for me. I saw a significant improvement in the math grade and my student had more confidence and performed better in the math class. We were all happy campers.

There was a gap in having Sylvan's services as we ended up moving. I live in a different city now, and we found the San Ramon, California, Sylvan. I have both of my students in it now as they both struggle in math. We started at the end of November, and so far, so good. At the Castro Valley location, I felt like the teachers and the tutors were solid. They seemed knowledgeable, effective, capable and able to show my student, what they needed to know to be successful, and it was always accurate and spot-on. That has been the case here in San Ramon as well. They are knowledgeable individuals that had been able to successfully help my students.

I ask both my students all the time what do they have today, and we drive into tutoring. And they would answer that they have a test coming up and that they don't always feel prepared for it. And when we leave tutoring, I would ask them if they feel that their tutoring helped them. They would answer, "Oh, absolutely. I didn't know how to do this one problem, and they totally broke it down. Super easy, and I know I could do it on my own now." We leave the house going to tutoring with questions and concerns, and when every time we come back from tutoring, they have way more confidence. And so, I have been impressed and pleased with how knowledgeable every tutor has been that they've worked with. The tutors were friendly in Castro Valley, and they're friendly, polite and kind here in San Ramon. I have friends who started going to Sylvan because I told them about my experience and that they should send their student as well.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I've got two daughters enrolled in Sylvan. The learning center was local and for me to go and get down to it, it can be a lot easier. They focused on subjects my daughters really needed help with. They're working on Language and Arts and Reading. The tutor helped tremendously. They just retested on i-Ready a couple of weeks ago, and the scores are up already by 40 points in both Reading and Math. So definitely give Sylvan a shot. The atmosphere is there. The girl loved it. My daughter never complained about having to go.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The advertising of Sylvan Learning is the best and I also had a friend's kids in it. The tutor is focusing on language arts and reading comprehension with my child. According to his testing with his reading, it's improving a lot. It seems to be helping with his reading, and they're also easy to work with. We've had a great experience and I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My daughter has a speech problem and she was missing a lot of pieces and phonics from kindergarten to second grade and third grade and Sylvan kinda filled that gap. Teachers have noticed my daughter's improved confidence with reading. They said that she's volunteering now to read out loud. She was doing two hours every Saturday, so sometimes she would have a different tutor. She likes the variation and the tutors all seemed great. I would ask her after a session what she learned and she couldn't really verbalize or didn't want to. So, they started having her write out what she learned. That was very helpful. I already referred my niece to Sylvan. I told them what a great experience we had and my brother and sister-in-law are taking their daughter now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Our previous tutoring option was awful, but Sylvan is wonderful. They helped a lot in math and they brought his grade up from an F to a B. He loves their tutoring. At first, however, he didn't like going there because he was embarrassed and didn't know anybody. Now, he likes the kids and the tutors. He can see that it has taken the frustration out of the learning experience because, at home, we were all arguing on how to do things. Now he just goes and does his tutoring, and he has caught up. He has been attending Sylvan for about four months now and it's the best money I've ever spent. I've told a couple of people that if kids are struggling with math, they should do Sylvan. It's worth it and I've been totally satisfied. I love Sylvan!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

We used Sylvan Learning for our son Noah and the tutor focused on his reading. There was more consistency with Sylvan and we saw huge results with our son's fluency and comprehension. Also, I've had monthly conferences with the education coordinator and she has been very informative and has kept me informed on the progress Noah has been making.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My sister had told me about Sylvan. I saw the reviews and felt that if there was anybody that could help my son, it would be Sylvan. I can hold them accountable for it. My son, Marcus, is 9-year old with autism and I have seen a difference within these few months that we've been attending. He's now reading sentences and it's a big improvement because he wasn't reading all these years. It's a whole team, Sylvan plus his teachers and me, working together. They track the progress and I've seen them. They communicate and it has been a lot of work for everybody.

Since Marcus is on a Spectrum, he can only work with a couple people that he gets attached so we only speak to two tutors and they both have been wonderful. They were the first two that they introduced to him, and we are just keeping it with them too. He has his moments where he has meltdowns, but they work with him and I really appreciate their dedication. They're pleasant to work with and talk to. So far, I'm having a wonderful experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

We just started with Sylvan and I chose them because of the reviews. Our student is in first grade so the focus is on reading, words and counting, and she is doing pretty good.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I’m pleased with Sylvan Learning Centers. My niece sent her child there. My grandson was having trouble pronouncing his words. I’ve tried to work with him. And then when my niece told me how good they were, then I chose to bring him there. I had looked for tutors at the school and I didn’t get any help. But Sylvan helped right away. They were right on throughout everything that I asked about. And I signed up the first day that I brought him in, and then when they had the special time, I signed up for that too. And I do see a great improvement. Also, every time I have a problem with him doing his homework at school, I take him over there, and they help him, and he learned it right away. It’s been a good experience with the tutor too. I went over there and talked to her twice. I like her and she’s great. I would recommend Sylvan highly.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We used Sylvan Learning for my daughter last school year since it was local. She's using it for her SATs and they focused on Algebra 2. She said that in some areas, it was okay but we didn't really see any improvement. I think it was the Math teacher at the time. They didn't connect well.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Micky - Thank you for taking the time to review us. We're sorry to hear you and your daughter did not have a great experience with us! At Sylvan, we aim to meet each of our student's individual goals so they see improvement. If there's anything we can do to make things better, please contact the Support Desk directly by emailing sylvansupport@sylvanlearning.com or calling 1-800-394-8353 – one of our team members will be happy to assist you. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have a son who was struggling in Algebra and he needed help. We went with Sylvan Learning as I've seen their advertisement with the reviews on it. I've also heard good things about them. Their director has been awesome. We had issues with my son not wanting to go and she worked with me with the different time schedules since my son is busy. However, we encountered a few weeks ago with Sylvan and I was a little upset. When my son asked questions about chemistry, the teacher didn't know. So, he had to reach out to his sister who's a physician assistant. But other than that, I'm happy with Sylvan. We've only been going through them for 10 sessions and so far, so good. The interactions with the tutor and my son have been really good and my son's learning experience has been positive.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had seen commercials and advertisements of Sylvan and the people in it always had good reviews and things to say. So I felt like it would be a place that I could check in to to help my daughter. She's focusing on Math and Reading and the tutoring has helped a lot, even with just making her feel more confident and more focused. Her test results have increased and gotten better too. Overall, it has just helped with her Math skills as a whole. My daughter also loves the staff there. She's someone who doesn't even talk but they make her feel comfortable and she talks. When I pick her up, sometimes, she wants to stay. I like Sylvan. It's a good place to try. The financial aspect is kinda hard on some parents. But it's worth it and fortunately, I was able to get like a scholarship with them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My kids used to go to Kumon and it's pretty much like repetitive. They just gave homework and then they had to work from home. With Sylvan, it's like one-on-one and they pretty much pay attention to the kids and their abilities and how they can take the info. I like Sylvan more because they don’t do the repetitive for sure and they try to make kids understand the concept.

The tutor focuses on English and Math with my kids and in school, when I go to the parent-teacher conference, they were below their grade level but now, they are right where they need to be. Sylvan is awesome and they are really friendly. They are flexible when we need to change the schedule. Their director, Andrea, is really nice. She pretty much works out if I need to switch days or something like that and they’re available right away when I call them. Overall, we are happy with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I wanted a place for my child to go to, like a physical place versus coming home and doing it. So, I wanted her to feel like she's in school so she understands the importance of it. Sylvan Learning does a pretty good job. My child really enjoys the experience. It's always positive. They raised her reading level up and you can tell in her grades. It's worth it if you really want to invest into your kid's educational life, if the kid really needed that much help. So, I would recommend Sylvan. They have a good system.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I would recommend Sylvan. My children are doing Math and reading with their tutor right now. They're helping them to be able to decipher word problems or reading to understand. They're teaching them different skills to help them. We were using Kumon and Sylvan is much better. Sylvan is more hands-on, has smaller groups, and is focused on areas that needs improvement. And I felt like Kumon was more repetitive which was a tool that didn’t really teach them skills. We’d seen a nice result from Sylvan.

We have three children in Sylvan. It’s important to make sure that we have a plan that’s very separate, doesn’t cross over to each child, to be specific to the child, and one child doesn’t take away from another child. We’re going through that right now. They’re working through with the director of the school to make sure our children are probably gonna take about a year to complete the program, and we’re coming up in six months. And now, they’re telling us that the money has been used, and I’m like, “How is that possible when we planned this thing to be, probably, a 12-month window?” Also, the testing results are not where they need to be. Still overall, I have been happy with the process.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Our child was not so good with math. Two of my co-workers told me that they had good experience with Sylvan Learning Centers so I went there. However, when the rep started looking at my son's test, the answers were right, but they were not right for the question they were asking. If they'd ask, “A dog is five years old and a cat is three years old, who’s older?” My son would say, “The cat is younger.” So, he understood the concept, he was just not answering properly. The goal was to start looking into his reading comprehension and the tutor was amazing. Even my son noticed the difference of having a tutor. When we brought my son in, he was having some C’s and even if the tutoring was three weeks, he was able to finish on AB honor roll, and even the B’s were just shy from an A.

Sylvan Learning was amazing. We’re Coast Guard so even by now, the tutors have always been checking with us. It's a family-type of approach and it’s more a friendly business. They have been a great support. I'd tell others that Sylvan Learning is good for them. Especially being in Louisiana, we’re always concern of how much far behind the kids are going to be when we transfer. The extra help my son is getting would help him if from here we go to New Jersey. He would not be behind. He would just be at par. They’re picking him up from where the state requirement lacks.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My child is still doing the tutoring but Sylvan uses different things and they also work with her teacher in her school. It has been helping and even her teachers said that her math has been improving. Sylvan is a great tutoring program and center. I love how they break down everything as far as how she is learning so, it’s simple for them. They consider what is needed out of them and how they can tutor and cater to them. Everything's been working out and so far, the experience has been good.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

In a nutshell, I had a great experience with Sylvan. I was very satisfied and I would recommend it. We were alternating tutoring. Sylvan was one place we chose, and we were also having private tutoring. I really think Sylvan is the best because it uses a repetitive method that children can grasp on to. The more they hear it, the ever they’ll do it. And they’ll perform. My daughter and the tutor focus on Reading and Math. The tutor helped because they brought a great level up. My daughter was performing below grade level, and she is currently at grade level. She also enjoys going to Sylvan. She likes her teachers. She likes them a little more at the end of the day.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My child is focused on learning Executive Functioning and Writing at Sylvan and he's much more organized. He's getting his homework done and doing better on tests. For a 13-year old boy who doesn't wanna go on a Saturday morning, he comes out in a good mood and smiling He enjoys his time there. He seems to be getting something out of it and we're seeing results. We've had a good experience with Sylvan so far. We're not done, but it's worth the time and effort to help our child gain some organization skills and confidence, and everything.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My son is doing Reading and Math at Sylvan. When I was in grade school, my mom wanted to put me in the same learning center, and we never were able to afford it. And we see a lot of the similarities between myself and my son. His was a little bit more emotional onset as well. So, we needed to get him some help. Since being with Sylvan, there is a difference in his confidence level. He is able to comprehend what he's reading and have it stick. Math is kind of a harder one, but he does have a little bit better attitude in class and at home about doing Math homework.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My daughter only needed 10 more points to be considered for half scholarship for her first-choice college. I googled, Sylvan popped up and it was the only resource in the area that seemed reputable as far as SAT tutoring. Those tutors were amazing. The way they analyze the pre-SAT scores, and the post, and they kept up with my daughter's tutoring appointments and followed up. It was well worth the money. Sylvan also told me and sent me news articles about the SAT being curved, making it really difficult for students. I'm a part-time professor and I thought I knew everything, but Sylvan educated me. That group is a great bunch.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I like Sylvan very much. I didn't like the old tutoring system we used. They were charging me one-on-one, and he was in a group setting so it really didn't help him at all. Sylvan helped the children more. The tutor started my son off with a one-on-one session, the way she said she was gonna do before putting him in a group session. My son is doing a lot better. He's reading more and he's doing better on his testing at school. He's enjoying it. He looks forward to going every day. So go to Sylvan. They're the best. They do a wonderful job and they're all friendly. I also like going up there every night,

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Worst Sylvan Learning Centre ever. Avoid Sylvan Learning Canyon Meadows at all cost. One time I was doing a social science homework. I was asking for help. This yellow hair woman fall asleep. She was even not helping me. I forgot her name. I was doing a social science assignment and I asked a glasses man for help. He drew a smile face on my worksheet. I paid $4000.00. I wasted all these money. Completely rip off. AVOID SYLVAN LEARNING CANYON MEADOWS AT ALL COST. This PLACE IS a JOKE. The glasses man name called Corey **. Go to different tutoring centre. Try one on one tutoring that is better than Sylvan Learning Centre. Corey ** lied on his resume. He is not a engineer. This place is full of dishonest people working at the Sylvan Learning Canyon Meadows.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi James - We are so sorry to hear you feel this way! At Sylvan, we try our best to meet each student's individual needs. We apologize that you did not have a better experience at our centre. We'd like to make things right, so we've sent you a message with more details. Take care!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My brother went to Sylvan when he was younger and I had seen it in our area where we live. My child is improving there at Sylvan. The tutors focus on reading and math. Sylvan has definitely been beneficial and I would tell others to definitely give it a try.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have tried several private tutors for my daughter starting in second grade. I found that coming to my house once or twice a week wasn't working, with the exception of one out of five tutors. I decided to take a different approach and went to Sylvan Learning. Sylvan has a program, as opposed to a tutor that comes to my house. They look at what is being done in school, and then tutors on that for one or two hours a week. For Math, Sylvan assessed my daughter’s deficiencies, so they have a way to figure out what core skills she's missing. They have a program where they target those gaps that she had. Tutors don't do that. Tutors just come in, go over the homework and they talk about it but they’re not retesting them to see if they're gaining proficiency in it.

I like that Sylvan is assessing their progress along the way through testing. They've been flexible if there are times when she has a topic in class that they're going over that she needs extra help with and they'll do that instead of their program. They're doing a little bit of past skills catch-up along with current skills. Lisa, the center director, is extremely knowledgeable about what the curricula is at our local school. She knows what they're teaching, when they're teaching it and how they teach it. I have found that to be helpful. My child is doing much better in her class grades and I have recommended it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Some people who used Sylvan for SAT had pretty good results so I went with them. My child was very good in English and was taught all of it in high school. However, she struggled a little bit with math, like Algebra 1 and 2 and the SAT goes beyond that. But she got through it all and blew it out of the water when they gave it to a lesson. I would recommend Sylvan Learning Centers. They were very polite, easy to get along with and willing to work with us.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

We noticed lots of improvement with him already. Right away we noticed improvements with his confidence, his reading and a couple other things under English. He enjoys it. He’s understanding phonics. He’s understanding what is going on, not just looking at words with letters in it and making up all kinds of words that would fit in with those letters. He is also understanding how to break them down and how to use them. It makes sense to him now. Since having a tutor from Sylvan, he sits down and reads some of the books that he used to struggle with just really quickly. It’s expensive, but you see results. Give it a chance.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Our son has a tutor that comes to the house. He is an older high school student that basically helps him with his homework, but it is not a professional service. We wanted to get him a professional assessment in terms of possible learning disabilities and to really get a sense where he’s at academically and what he needs in terms of the extra support that he’s not getting one on one at school. Thus, we went with Sylvan Learning and he has been there for a few weeks. They are currently focusing on reading comprehension.

Our son is really happy going to Sylvan Learning. He is getting the kind of support that he is too afraid to ask for at school and he has responded positively to it. Both the tutors and the head of the program have been really good about following through even to the point where they make sure my son emails them to make sure he got home okay because he travels on his own. They are also really quick with follow-ups with us, with both parents. I would recommend Sylvan Learning.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Sylvan Learning was great, decent and the price was good. The tutors were very nice, welcoming and very thorough. My child focused on Math and his tutor helped him build more confidence which was his main issue. I would recommend Sylvan to a friend. People should give them a shot.

Sylvan Learning Centers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company offers personalized tutoring and test prep for students of all levels at locations across the globe. Contact your location for specific details on pricing and payment plan options.

• Sylvan Learning Center locations: Find a Sylvan Learning Center in any state in the U.S. as well as in Canada, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam.

• Sylvan Learning Center prices: Prices are competitive with after-hour activities and tutoring in your area. STEM programs start around $99.

• Unique assessment process compares students to national norms: Students take a test and are observed by tutors prior to beginning service so tutors can pinpoint strengths, weaknesses and ability to pass state exams.

• Offers educational games to help students between sessions: Students can download apps and play educational games to increase their academic skills all week long.

• Online and in person tutoring options: Students with busy schedules can get tutoring at their convenience thanks to the variety of options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information

signin.sylvaninhometutoring.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.