2. Education
  3. Tutoring
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.65/5

Keep the learning going and skills sharp with Sylvan's proven, digital curriculum, now available with live, online tutoring sessions! Your local Sylvan's caring, expert teachers are here to help your child succeed (right from your home)! Programs for every need and budget: Tutoring for math, reading, writing, test prep, and more!

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: June 25, 2020

My son struggles a lot with reading. He was diagnosed with ADHD, and he's really behind. When the school went out because of COVID, I was really worried that this is gonna mess him up. So, I kept looking online trying to find him places, and Sylvan popped up. I read the reviews. I called them just trying to see what they did and what they offered. My son needs a lot of help. He's very impatient. They just put him on medication. So, I was worried about him because a lot of people say they're good with kids, but a lot of people aren't, and they don't have any patience. The reviews on Sylvan that I found online were really good. They spoke really highly about the program.

Also, when I called, I found that they were doing it online. That was very convenient. I live too far from the actual center for me to go and take him. So, I like that they do Zoom. Then, they had some type of special going on at the time too. It was like $100 off the first enrollment for the family. There was a lady at Sylvan who has been a complete blessing. My son couldn't read anything. His self-esteem was horrible. He hated reading and didn't want to learn anything. I think he was just too overwhelmed. He would say things that broke my heart like he's too dumb, he doesn't want to do it and he just can't do it. The lady had done better than the actual teachers have.

When my son first started doing it, it was a bit of a struggle because he has low self-esteem when it came to reading. Between Sylvan and maybe a little bit of the medication to help him focus a little bit too, helped out. He was able to read to us. It was only five sentences, but still, this boy couldn't read anything at all. His tutor has been awesome. She knows how to redirect them. She's patient with them. My son is everywhere sometimes, but she knows how to ring him in. She knows how to work with him. She knows the children's learning style. She knows how to mold it around him, and it really does work. This whole COVID thing was crazy, but I'm happy that I found something. Because if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have found Sylvan, and I wouldn't have known about the program, and my son would still be struggling going to school. Sylvan is good at what they do.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 23, 2020

My friend had an experience with Sylvan and I decided to give it a try. My son has autism and he has been through a lot between different schools and other experiences. So, he was behind. He’s very smart and it’s just the way he learns. I have a scholarship for him that he receives through the State of Arizona, Department of Education. So, I had some money and I put that towards the tutoring. When we went to Sylvan and did it, I was hoping he was gonna make progress, and he has. He enjoys his tutors and he’s gaining more skills than the average student. It was double the amount for reading. He was supposed to gain 45 skills and he gained 90. Also, he was almost triple than the average student obtains in Math. So, he’s been doing good. We’ve been doing the virtual since this whole COVID situation and he has been doing good with it too.

Sylvan needs to make sure that they’re consistent with the times and try the best they can to keep him skipping weeks. He wasn’t able to talk before and we’ve been doing speech therapy, and his consistency is the number key. When they’re doing it over and over again such as the repetitions with the letter sound and trying to blend all the words, it’s important that they’re able to make sure to stay with the schedule. Reinforcing at home like for math and reading are kinda along the lines that Sylvan does like the phonics-based stuff for reading. My son has only been in it since early February and he’s reading books now. Doing a little extra at home makes a difference.

My son was in the middle of third grade when he got assessed and he was at kindergarten level. The school was doing more stuff when he didn’t even have the foundation to try to do it. It was kinda waste of time. They should’ve been doing the basics with him first and then building up those skills. The reason why I’m happy that we did Sylvan is because they did that. My son is in the middle of second grade now and it was only in February when he started. So, it has been amazing and the staff has been great which includes Mary Ann. Victoria, who does all four different Sylvan Learning Centers in our area, has been great too.

Original review: June 18, 2020

When I called Sylvan, I was impressed with the lady that I spoke with and what they were offering and just went with them. My reason for calling them was reading but then decided I wanted Math, too. My son always loved school and he went through a phase where he loved to read. Then, all of a sudden, he didn't want to pick up a book at home. We were starting to see the struggle but we didn't want it to get to where he was really getting to it and it could become a big issue to where it started affecting him of loving school. But with Sylvan, that has definitely been prevented.

He's doing virtual classes four days a week even though his center has opened back up. He does two days of Math and two days of reading. When he's done every day, he would say, "Oh, I don't want it to be over". He looks forward to it very much and he really enjoys doing it. They've worked with him on his addition and subtraction. They've also started him on multiplication and division, which is amazing because he's going into third grade and he's doing great with it.

Part of us for doing this was to build his confidence because we felt like he was little below where he should be. He just finished second grade but he won't be turning eight until July 19th. Add the virus thing in and being out of school for a semester. So we really wanted to make sure he was up to par, if not a little ahead. They have done above and beyond what we've been wanting. His reading has come leaps and bounds too. He's very quick and they've been teaching him to slow down in his reading and more for comprehension. I've been able to see in his schoolwork at the end of the year that he has started to slow down more in his schoolwork and his writing and not rushing. So, there's a big improvement in all of it.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Sylvan was our last hope. We had used two different tutors, and they were nice teachers, but our son was not improving at all. My mother-in-law is a retired teacher, and she worked for Sylvan many years ago in Massachusetts, and she had said, "You should try Sylvan." So we thought, "Let's try that and see. This'll be our last ditch effort." And it's been amazing. First, we did reading comprehension, which he was horrible in. And then, as he improved, we needed to work on writing. His learning experience through Sylvan has been incredible. He wants to go and he's excited to go.

They have a very precise laid-out plan. It's computerized and they test and see where his gaps are. When he was tested a year ago, he was in fifth grade, and they found gaps back in kindergarten that had never been filled in. It's horrible. He had kindergarten gaps, first grade gaps, second grade, third grade, and fourth grade. He had a long hill to climb. They've got those laptops and they work with him, and they started to just chip away at all the gaps that he had and filled them in. And as he did that, he got stronger in other areas.

With my son, we had been dealing with bullying a lot since second grade. And that's what has really made the learning even more difficult. He had a teacher in second grade that just checked out. She had a lot of emotional issues. We were at a new school, and so I didn't question anything because I didn't wanna be that mom that said, "What's going on?" It was supposedly a wonderful school. I kept checking with the teacher and I told her I didn't believe that my son was doing as well as she was saying. She was saying he was doing great, but he wasn't. She wasn't there. And then, my son was getting bullied on top of it, and then they had to pull him out for special reading intervention. The kids there were telling my kid that he's stupid, so he had super low self-esteem.

It got to the point where my husband and I were like, "Do we get him counseling to help him through this? Or is he feeling awful because he's doing so poorly in school?" He would come home with papers like 39% or 45%. I have three other boys, and they are all in the gifted program, so we were used to like 90 and 100-plus. I was freaking out. What was sad was when he finally got like a 70%. I was happy, and I knew my son was capable of doing so much more. I knew he didn't have a learning disability. But I couldn't figure out how to help him. So I told my husband to try Sylvan first. He said if he still has low self-esteem, then we'll go to a counselor and work on behavioral things.

My son is still unfortunately being bullied because he's at a really hoity-toity elitist school. But he has so much more confidence. He knows he's not stupid. He's putting these kids in their places because they're not doing well in school. And the teachers are always saying how he is the epitome of the kind of student they wanna have in their class. He went from bringing home papers, D's and F's, and then on his report card, he was getting more B's and C's, and this past semester, he got straight A's. That way, I know it's not just Sylvan saying, "Oh yeah, your kid's doing great." Now that he's getting straight A's and he's coming home with 100%, I know Sylvan is working.

I had the tutors that we were going to. They were part of the school he went to, and they were lovely people, but they had no baseline for my son. They really didn't know the gaps and they really didn't have a tried and true method of filling it in. And then they never really followed up, whereas with Sylvan, I go back every month, they retest my son, and they show me exactly what he's accomplished and what's on the horizon.

Rebecca is the director there. She's phenomenal. I, in the beginning, was calling her all the time with questions, and she was always very patient and always available. She's the epitome of the kind of person you wanna have at your company working for you. I just met with Rebecca last week. My son was like a low third grade reading level when he was in fifth grade when he was tested. Now, he's almost at a seventh grade reading level. And she even said, "Shannon, I really have never seen a kid grow this much." I've already sent friends and strangers to Sylvan. I've already told them about it.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

Sylvan was one of the few options we've had in our area other than a Mathnasium of some sort. My son was transitioning from elementary school to middle school and was challenged with workload volume, study habits, and other things. We're working through broad subjects overall, and it's more to get him a little more adept to process changes that he never had or how to use the computer and speak with his teacher, so on and so forth. He struggled in the first quarter as he had 1 or 2 C's. Then, on the second quarter, he was all B's. He seems to be excited or a little more engaged now.

The staff there seem to be fine. We worked really well with Marissa, who is the site leader and so far, so good. Some of the the instructors are fairly young, and that's a pro with the fact that they can relate to the child and understand the process and what they're going through. They may have recently been exposed to it, and they may lack some of the attention to detail in some of the processes they were working on, but we have had the ability to get feedback from my son. He would come in and say, "I don't know that I can work with that teacher or that instructor," and they immediately make a change for the next visit and make sure he gets what he wants or what he needs.

Many families may not afford going with Sylvan but there are available options for the financial aspect, which is great. Still, the ones that really need it are not able to take access or able to take advantage of the program. They ought to have a presentation at the school itself for kids coming out of elementary and going into middle school, and go over the financing options and what the program is. Because when we did an open house, we were thinking, "What's next?" If Sylvan could sit there, answer questions, and hand out cards, then that would be phenomenal.

Original review: June 25, 2020

My son works really well on one-on-one and on little groups so that's why I chose Sylvan. It has helped him so much and he loves going to Sylvan. It's like a prize and a privilege for him to go there. He's happy with the program and he's learning. He has advanced so many levels on his reading. I'm so happy too and I wish I could pay more.

Original review: June 24, 2020

We found Sylvan online and I liked the program they were offering. It seemed to meet the needs of my child and they offered a virtual option during COVID which was helpful. The signup process was very easy. We filled up some information online and then we met with the site director and had a Zoom call with him. It's been very seamless and my son has been doing Zoom calls since then. Then about every four weeks or so, we had been having a touch base meeting with them on his progress. They have been working with him in the areas that he needs the most support and they've been very good at building his confidence in what he's doing. It's been a very positive experience so far.

Original review: June 22, 2020

My son was falling behind in Reading and Math, and I wanted him to stay in the level. Sylvan really helped him. I just found an overall improvement in his grades and his confidence in doing Math, especially. I would tell others that those men and women that were helping my son will whoop the kids into shape. They’ll get those kids back on track. I don’t know about anybody else, but they got mine back on track. They did nothing but great things for me and my son.

Original review: June 21, 2020

I went online and googled tutors in the area and Sylvan popped up. The main focus was for Math and English. My kids earned their grades. They didn't appear to be struggling too much. They had a little bit of trouble with some of the Math, but overall he's okay and he did well this school year. They just changed management though and all the tutors are not the same. But my kids really like the original manager and his staff, his teachers and they seemed really sweet.

They really connected with Ms. Katherine and really like her way of explaining things to them. They were pretty disappointed when they figured out Katherine wasn't there anymore and probably wasn't coming back 'cause her desk was cleared out. We're pretty sad. The new girl's name is Sarah, but we've only seen her twice. But she seems okay so far.

The only issue that we have is their billing. There's no consistency in the billing. Sometimes, it's a ton of money. Other times, it's not. Sometimes, it's twice in a week. My husband brought it up with them in early March right before everything got shut down with the quarantine. But we never heard anything back. It seems like when the management changed and they didn't make that known to anybody that management was changing. Just all of a sudden one day the same people weren't there. I don't even know anybody's name.

We had all our print outs and he said, he will look into it. Then the quarantine happened and he wasn't there when I went last week. I was gonna come to see how now since we just started back if it's leveled out now or what. They probably owe us money. The billing should be pretty consistent. And we didn't miss anything or if we had to change the date, we pick another date within the same week. So, I'm not really sure what's going on there.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I used a different tutoring company before but they were more face-to-face. When COVID hit, they couldn't do the online option. I was looking for the online service and found Sylvan. I enrolled my child in the college prep classes. We're doing a 12-week course. It's twice a week until he takes the ACT. It would be better though if it was face-to-face. But so far so good. The staff is great and I really like them. The director is great and responsive. I'm satisfied.

Sylvan Learning Centers author review by ConsumerAffairs

This company offers personalized tutoring and test prep for students of all levels at locations across the globe. Contact your location for specific details on pricing and payment plan options.

• Sylvan Learning Center locations: Find a Sylvan Learning Center in any state in the U.S. as well as in Canada, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam.

• Sylvan Learning Center prices: Prices are competitive with after-hour activities and tutoring in your area. STEM programs start around $99.

• Unique assessment process compares students to national norms: Students take a test and are observed by tutors prior to beginning service so tutors can pinpoint strengths, weaknesses and ability to pass state exams.

• Offers educational games to help students between sessions: Students can download apps and play educational games to increase their academic skills all week long.

• Online and in person tutoring options: Students with busy schedules can get tutoring at their convenience thanks to the variety of options.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team