4.73/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

303 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: April 20, 2019

I am in education and I've heard good things about Sylvan Learning. They are doing math and reading with my child and it has helped tremendously. Before we did Sylvan, I had only one child and she’s nine years old, but we had to struggle with her in Math and in her work when she comes home. Since we decided to take her to Sylvan, it has been great. She became very good in Math. Multiplication and addition bounced around her head. It was impressive. It's a big relief. She received all As in her last quarter and that was great. Using Sylvan Learning is one of the best decisions we made this year.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have my first child with Sylvan and it's been very good. My daughter is still in it and she’s getting her confidence built, which is half the battle, and she seems to be enjoying it, which is the other half of the battle.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I used to have a tutoring program and I didn't want them for my daughter when she needed one. One of my daughter's guidance counselors used Sylvan and she was pleased. Their reviews also made me go with them. We got them for my daughter's math, English, and the SAT test, and we loved the tutor. My daughter really connected with her tutor who was very approachable, easy-going, and phenomenal. We had a great experience. My daughter took the PSAT before we used Sylvan and she will be retaking it in August so we're gonna reconnect with Sylvan again in June. They really helped her as far as standardized tests in general. So if you're considering them, then definitely use them.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I did a Google search for math tutors because there are a lot of small colleges around this area of Burlington, Vermont. I thought there would be somebody out there who needed some extra cash, like a college student, to help my daughter with her Math and it would be easy. My daughter is 15 and I wanna know who she is associated with. When I started finding people, they were not caring so much about Math but just on making a few extra dollars. That was fine but that was not what I was looking to help my daughter improve her Math scores. I tried Sylvan and it seemed to be a good fit.

My daughter scored really high on her initial exam but she doesn’t have any confidence. Even though she could figure things out, she couldn’t take the tests in the time allotted. She would usually run over which made her embarrassed because the next kids would be coming and she would still be taking the test from the previous period. The purpose of the tutoring was to build confidence in the subject and to make her comfortable in her ability.

My daughter loves her experience with Sylvan. She actually got mad when we had to cut back to one day a week. She said she wanted to go back to two. But because she plays two sports, it got really hard. If people ask, I'd tell them why we paid Sylvan. I wasn’t sure at first, but they are helping my daughter with her grade and that’s results right there.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Sylvan Learning Centers was the closest tutoring option to my home so we went with them. The subject areas that the tutors have been focusing on were study skills and math. The tutee's confidence and his math grade have improved, and his test anxiety has become lower. Everything has been great with the tutors and they’ve been very informative. They’ve had a meeting with the tutee's math teacher at his school, along with myself, so we’re all on the same page and that has been really good. Our experience with Sylvan Learning Centers has been great and I would definitely recommend them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: April 10, 2019

After reading Sylvan's reviews online with Google, I got them for my kid. The tutor focuses on English and Mathematics and my kid's grades have come up a little bit. He doesn’t like the tutoring, though. He didn’t like reading too. But Sylvan is excellent and very professional, and they're all very nice to him. They're good people, kind and they're working hard. They also work with me if we have to miss for doctor’s. I really like them.

Original review: April 9, 2019

We have a tutor from Sylvan Learning Centers for our child. We had friends that recommended it. Our son’s problem was with details and they really focused in on the details for both math and reading. He is doing fine so far and he has been going to Sylvan for two years. He drives himself to the place and brings home a report of what he did for the day. We also meet with the director once a month. It has been a fantastic learning experience from Sylvan and I would highly recommend them. Our son is much more confident in both reading and math and his grades have improved significantly.

Original review: April 8, 2019

We were trying a private tutor but after two weeks, we realized that it wasn’t gonna work out. We then decided to go with Sylvan Learning Centers. My child enjoys going there. Although she would like to go every day, I couldn’t afford that, so she goes twice a week. Sylvan focuses on Math and reading. My child’s scores are going up a lot on her testing but a lot of that has to do with her self-esteem and the Sylvan tutors have done wonders with her in two months. I love them. They’ve done everything that I could think of. They even attend the IT meetings for my daughter now. They have been really helpful and have been advocating for what she needs.

Original review: April 6, 2019

My daughter has a learning disability, so I had to find somebody that could help her. We had her tested last year and the recommendation was to use Sylvan Learning Centers, but we couldn’t afford them. Although we're not doing the tutoring with them, we're now doing the Sylvan Learning at the academy where my daughter goes to school full-time with them. Everything has been wonderful in my dealings with the people at Sylvan. My daughter is a seventh grader and since she has been going to the academy, she has grown from a 1.3 grade level to the 3rd grade level. Now, she went from a 2nd grade to a 4th grade level.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have had my child in the program with Sylvan Learning for about two and a half months now and the tutor has focused on reading, comprehension, sight words, spelling, sounds, and letter sounds. My child has improved quite a lot. They were expecting him to learn one new skill per visit, but at his 30-visit assessment, he had learned 53. He is also doing much better in his reading classes at school. Though he is still shy there, they are working to help build his confidence. I can't talk good enough about Sylvan. It is absolutely wonderful. My child enjoys going there and is excited to go every day, and it has been such a great thing for him. The staff at Sylvan is amazing. They do more than just reading and math. During the summer, they have camps where you can do robotics. They also have the STEAM Program summer camp.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I'm a regional director for Sylvan, and my kids attend Sylvan. They're always our guinea pigs and they have done every Sylvan program. The tutor focused on writing with my kids, and their confidence improved. My son's writing stamina definitely increased, and he was always excited to be at Sylvan because they made the program fun and engaging. The teachers are actual teachers, and they personalize the program for the individual's needs. They initially did an assessment, so we knew exactly what he needed to work on and then, that's exactly what was focused on. They are also able to make additional adjustments, if necessary, even minute-by-minute changes. Going with Sylvan was a wonderful decision and I'd do it again.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My child is in first grade and she got 50% on her math test so I got her a tutor from Sylvan. In fact, they have helped her with her spelling homework before, but she is above grade level in reading. She does fabulous when she gets to guess with the word in English. She's a fill-in-the-blank and goes really fast. She can do and answer any recall questions you want from third-grade books. She only needs assistance with math and she has been in the program for two months. So far, she only missed three problems on her last math test.

The tutors are working with her to teach her to slow down. They are also showing her how to cover her paper so she doesn't see other numbers and get distracted. She moves too fast so when you have to be correct with math, she struggles. There is only one right answer in math and that she has to go slow and careful which is not her style. My child likes getting one-on-one attention and she likes going to math lessons. She's a very self-confident person. Overall, Sylvan's programs are very thorough and very good. They are great with her.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I heard about Sylvan Learning through a family member and online and my elder daughter went there briefly before. I had experience with Sylvan and C2 and I chose Sylvan because they were more in terms of the methods of payment. When I went to C2, it cost me more because I had to do all the amount upfront. On the other hand, Sylvan gave me a plan and in terms of payment, it was more flexible there. Moreover, I like the atmosphere and they are very professional. Sylvan is focusing on Language Arts and basic English which was where my child was having issues. Thus far, I've seen vast improvement so far in her schoolwork.

When I went there initially, her grades were terrible. She was getting 60s and 70s, but now, she is in the 80s going above, so the one-on-one focus has been doing her well. Our area of focus was mainly the English language, but she does a little math, too. She has been at Sylvan since February and she loves the environment there. She is happy, so I am happy, too.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I am very happy with Sylvan Learning. They have done amazing work with my daughter. They could say one sentence and my daughter would get it right away. Plus, she gets one-on-one attention. When we went through the teacher in school, they talked too fast and were too hyper. They were dealing with too many kids and couldn't focus as Sylvan can. Kenny, our favorite tutor, is outstanding. I've seen my daughter when she's around other kids and how she acts. She's all chatty and talky, but Kenny has a lot of patience, which is a big thing.

My daughter is getting tutoring in pre-Algebra and she is doing fractions as well. Since using Sylvan, she has felt better and her grades went up. Although it's not an A-plus, when she attacks the subject, she has a lot more confidence at doing stuff. She doesn't fear raising her hand in school and she feels okay with helping out other kids. When a kid is absent, she would voluntarily help, which she has never done before. I've spent a lot of money on Sylvan and their prices are a little high, especially when you wanna use them all the time. Their prices are fine if you just need help once here and there, but their prices should be a lot lower for people that use them regularly.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Sylvan Learning helped Carolina with reading. I saw a huge progress with that because my kids are difficult to teach. There was another lady and she's amazing. She's been helping my other daughter with time management, study habits, and confidence. She's doing incredible work with her. I also hired her to help me organize my finances, and I talked it all out with her, and she does a beautiful job.

Sylvan is expensive, but I'm getting my money's worth. I've spent $1,000 on Christina. And if she hadn't gotten a concussion, we'd be perfectly fine. She'd be golden. She has learning skills that I can't teach her because I don't have that bent in my head. I'm not capable of doing that kind of organization. So the lady has been teaching her some incredible skills. I'm going back to the tutor that I had before who was working with Carolina. And just generally because that first tutor had so much more success, so I'm gonna go ahead and beg her to take us back. Being with Sylvan, you have to have the money, but it's well worth to put the investment in the kids. I would tell others to do it. But I would tell them to be careful with the subjects, depending on their kid and how they learn.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Sylvan Learning Center Beaumont, TX - My son goes to Sylvan since he was in grade 6. Now he is a junior. He loves to go to Sylvan. The teachers are very helpful and knowledgeable. The scheduling is very flexible. I see so much improvement in my son due to Sylvan. I am very thankful to Sylvan. I will definitely recommend it.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

One of the first things that caught my information was the Groupon as I was scrolling through, looking for other things, and Sylvan Learning kept coming up in the feed, “Tutoring Sylvan, discount. You can get an evaluation with four sessions at a discounted rate.” And when my child was struggling in math, I remembered seeing the Groupon. So I went back in, and it was still available. Before I purchased it, it made me wanna do a bit of research. I was living in Castro Valley, California at the time, and I wanted to know what type of tutoring services were available in my sort of immediate vicinity. My husband went by a Kumon, and he didn't know how he felt about it. So, I went and was highly disappointed and turned off by their method. My child was too far behind according to their assessment. At that very moment, we had a specific type of need, and they cannot meet that need.

So then, I went to Sylvan, sat down with them to get an idea what their method was, and how they could be of help possibly to our family. I like knowing that not only could my student get help with their homework, but if they knew that they had a test or a quiz coming up, that they could get specific help addressing the topics that would be covered on that upcoming exam. And if there was no homework or there was no upcoming exam, that Sylvan would be able to still provide their own materials to build up the areas needing improvement of my child's personal development. Even the initial assessment that identifies areas of weakness was great for me. I saw a significant improvement in the math grade and my student had more confidence and performed better in the math class. We were all happy campers.

There was a gap in having Sylvan's services as we ended up moving. I live in a different city now, and we found the San Ramon, California, Sylvan. I have both of my students in it now as they both struggle in math. We started at the end of November, and so far, so good. At the Castro Valley location, I felt like the teachers and the tutors were solid. They seemed knowledgeable, effective, capable and able to show my student, what they needed to know to be successful, and it was always accurate and spot-on. That has been the case here in San Ramon as well. They are knowledgeable individuals that had been able to successfully help my students.

I ask both my students all the time what do they have today, and we drive into tutoring. And they would answer that they have a test coming up and that they don't always feel prepared for it. And when we leave tutoring, I would ask them if they feel that their tutoring helped them. They would answer, "Oh, absolutely. I didn't know how to do this one problem, and they totally broke it down. Super easy, and I know I could do it on my own now." We leave the house going to tutoring with questions and concerns, and when every time we come back from tutoring, they have way more confidence. And so, I have been impressed and pleased with how knowledgeable every tutor has been that they've worked with. The tutors were friendly in Castro Valley, and they're friendly, polite and kind here in San Ramon. I have friends who started going to Sylvan because I told them about my experience and that they should send their student as well.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I've got two daughters enrolled in Sylvan. The learning center was local and for me to go and get down to it, it can be a lot easier. They focused on subjects my daughters really needed help with. They're working on Language and Arts and Reading. The tutor helped tremendously. They just retested on i-Ready a couple of weeks ago, and the scores are up already by 40 points in both Reading and Math. So definitely give Sylvan a shot. The atmosphere is there. The girl loved it. My daughter never complained about having to go.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The advertising of Sylvan Learning is the best and I also had a friend's kids in it. The tutor is focusing on language arts and reading comprehension with my child. According to his testing with his reading, it's improving a lot. It seems to be helping with his reading, and they're also easy to work with. We've had a great experience and I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My daughter has a speech problem and she was missing a lot of pieces and phonics from kindergarten to second grade and third grade and Sylvan kinda filled that gap. Teachers have noticed my daughter's improved confidence with reading. They said that she's volunteering now to read out loud. She was doing two hours every Saturday, so sometimes she would have a different tutor. She likes the variation and the tutors all seemed great. I would ask her after a session what she learned and she couldn't really verbalize or didn't want to. So, they started having her write out what she learned. That was very helpful. I already referred my niece to Sylvan. I told them what a great experience we had and my brother and sister-in-law are taking their daughter now.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Our previous tutoring option was awful, but Sylvan is wonderful. They helped a lot in math and they brought his grade up from an F to a B. He loves their tutoring. At first, however, he didn't like going there because he was embarrassed and didn't know anybody. Now, he likes the kids and the tutors. He can see that it has taken the frustration out of the learning experience because, at home, we were all arguing on how to do things. Now he just goes and does his tutoring, and he has caught up. He has been attending Sylvan for about four months now and it's the best money I've ever spent. I've told a couple of people that if kids are struggling with math, they should do Sylvan. It's worth it and I've been totally satisfied. I love Sylvan!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

We used Sylvan Learning for our son Noah and the tutor focused on his reading. There was more consistency with Sylvan and we saw huge results with our son's fluency and comprehension. Also, I've had monthly conferences with the education coordinator and she has been very informative and has kept me informed on the progress Noah has been making.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My sister had told me about Sylvan. I saw the reviews and felt that if there was anybody that could help my son, it would be Sylvan. I can hold them accountable for it. My son, Marcus, is 9-year old with autism and I have seen a difference within these few months that we've been attending. He's now reading sentences and it's a big improvement because he wasn't reading all these years. It's a whole team, Sylvan plus his teachers and me, working together. They track the progress and I've seen them. They communicate and it has been a lot of work for everybody.

Since Marcus is on a Spectrum, he can only work with a couple people that he gets attached so we only speak to two tutors and they both have been wonderful. They were the first two that they introduced to him, and we are just keeping it with them too. He has his moments where he has meltdowns, but they work with him and I really appreciate their dedication. They're pleasant to work with and talk to. So far, I'm having a wonderful experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

We just started with Sylvan and I chose them because of the reviews. Our student is in first grade so the focus is on reading, words and counting, and she is doing pretty good.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I’m pleased with Sylvan Learning Centers. My niece sent her child there. My grandson was having trouble pronouncing his words. I’ve tried to work with him. And then when my niece told me how good they were, then I chose to bring him there. I had looked for tutors at the school and I didn’t get any help. But Sylvan helped right away. They were right on throughout everything that I asked about. And I signed up the first day that I brought him in, and then when they had the special time, I signed up for that too. And I do see a great improvement. Also, every time I have a problem with him doing his homework at school, I take him over there, and they help him, and he learned it right away. It’s been a good experience with the tutor too. I went over there and talked to her twice. I like her and she’s great. I would recommend Sylvan highly.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We used Sylvan Learning for my daughter last school year since it was local. She's using it for her SATs and they focused on Algebra 2. She said that in some areas, it was okay but we didn't really see any improvement. I think it was the Math teacher at the time. They didn't connect well.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Micky - Thank you for taking the time to review us. We're sorry to hear you and your daughter did not have a great experience with us! At Sylvan, we aim to meet each of our student's individual goals so they see improvement. If there's anything we can do to make things better, please contact the Support Desk directly by emailing sylvansupport@sylvanlearning.com or calling 1-800-394-8353 – one of our team members will be happy to assist you. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have a son who was struggling in Algebra and he needed help. We went with Sylvan Learning as I've seen their advertisement with the reviews on it. I've also heard good things about them. Their director has been awesome. We had issues with my son not wanting to go and she worked with me with the different time schedules since my son is busy. However, we encountered a few weeks ago with Sylvan and I was a little upset. When my son asked questions about chemistry, the teacher didn't know. So, he had to reach out to his sister who's a physician assistant. But other than that, I'm happy with Sylvan. We've only been going through them for 10 sessions and so far, so good. The interactions with the tutor and my son have been really good and my son's learning experience has been positive.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had seen commercials and advertisements of Sylvan and the people in it always had good reviews and things to say. So I felt like it would be a place that I could check in to to help my daughter. She's focusing on Math and Reading and the tutoring has helped a lot, even with just making her feel more confident and more focused. Her test results have increased and gotten better too. Overall, it has just helped with her Math skills as a whole. My daughter also loves the staff there. She's someone who doesn't even talk but they make her feel comfortable and she talks. When I pick her up, sometimes, she wants to stay. I like Sylvan. It's a good place to try. The financial aspect is kinda hard on some parents. But it's worth it and fortunately, I was able to get like a scholarship with them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My kids used to go to Kumon and it's pretty much like repetitive. They just gave homework and then they had to work from home. With Sylvan, it's like one-on-one and they pretty much pay attention to the kids and their abilities and how they can take the info. I like Sylvan more because they don’t do the repetitive for sure and they try to make kids understand the concept.

The tutor focuses on English and Math with my kids and in school, when I go to the parent-teacher conference, they were below their grade level but now, they are right where they need to be. Sylvan is awesome and they are really friendly. They are flexible when we need to change the schedule. Their director, Andrea, is really nice. She pretty much works out if I need to switch days or something like that and they’re available right away when I call them. Overall, we are happy with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I wanted a place for my child to go to, like a physical place versus coming home and doing it. So, I wanted her to feel like she's in school so she understands the importance of it. Sylvan Learning does a pretty good job. My child really enjoys the experience. It's always positive. They raised her reading level up and you can tell in her grades. It's worth it if you really want to invest into your kid's educational life, if the kid really needed that much help. So, I would recommend Sylvan. They have a good system.

Sylvan Learning Centers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company offers personalized tutoring and test prep for students of all levels at locations across the globe. Contact your location for specific details on pricing and payment plan options.

• Sylvan Learning Center locations: Find a Sylvan Learning Center in any state in the U.S. as well as in Canada, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam.

• Sylvan Learning Center prices: Prices are competitive with after-hour activities and tutoring in your area. STEM programs start around $99.

• Unique assessment process compares students to national norms: Students take a test and are observed by tutors prior to beginning service so tutors can pinpoint strengths, weaknesses and ability to pass state exams.

• Offers educational games to help students between sessions: Students can download apps and play educational games to increase their academic skills all week long.

• Online and in person tutoring options: Students with busy schedules can get tutoring at their convenience thanks to the variety of options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs