2. Education
  3. Tutoring
ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.59/5

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

My children have learning disabilities and are well below their grade level. A friend of mine highly suggested Sylvan Learning Centers because they worked great for her growing up. We interviewed with them and with Kumon. We chose Sylvan because the director was very professional and precise. He explained everything. And he really understood and connected with us and had a genuine feeling of caring to be able to provide my children with assistance.

My children remind me when it's a Sylvan day. They get their shoes on and they're ready to go when it's time. There's no pressure. They love it and all the teachers that they've encountered. The director and people are very personable, friendly, and do everything they can to make sure that they meet every student's needs, and it shows. For the most part, my children have done reading since we began, and they're still doing reading. They have both made progress and although my daughter is a little slower than my son, with her level of disability, it's perfectly okay. At least progress is progress. Over the last two months, they've started their math program. And I have full faith that they'll be able to do something.

I wish more parents of the students or even the students would give more positive feedback. I've seen students come in that are studying for the SATs and I can just see the development throughout all the kids that are there. I love the people. I love the program. I would highly recommend Sylvan Learning Centers to anybody, whether they're learning disabled or just trying to catch up.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Sylvan was our last hope. We had used two different tutors, and they were nice teachers, but our son was not improving at all. My mother-in-law is a retired teacher, and she worked for Sylvan many years ago in Massachusetts, and she had said, "You should try Sylvan." So we thought, "Let's try that and see. This'll be our last ditch effort." And it's been amazing. First, we did reading comprehension, which he was horrible in. And then, as he improved, we needed to work on writing. His learning experience through Sylvan has been incredible. He wants to go and he's excited to go.

They have a very precise laid-out plan. It's computerized and they test and see where his gaps are. When he was tested a year ago, he was in fifth grade, and they found gaps back in kindergarten that had never been filled in. It's horrible. He had kindergarten gaps, first grade gaps, second grade, third grade, and fourth grade. He had a long hill to climb. They've got those laptops and they work with him, and they started to just chip away at all the gaps that he had and filled them in. And as he did that, he got stronger in other areas.

With my son, we had been dealing with bullying a lot since second grade. And that's what has really made the learning even more difficult. He had a teacher in second grade that just checked out. She had a lot of emotional issues. We were at a new school, and so I didn't question anything because I didn't wanna be that mom that said, "What's going on?" It was supposedly a wonderful school. I kept checking with the teacher and I told her I didn't believe that my son was doing as well as she was saying. She was saying he was doing great, but he wasn't. She wasn't there. And then, my son was getting bullied on top of it, and then they had to pull him out for special reading intervention. The kids there were telling my kid that he's stupid, so he had super low self-esteem.

It got to the point where my husband and I were like, "Do we get him counseling to help him through this? Or is he feeling awful because he's doing so poorly in school?" He would come home with papers like 39% or 45%. I have three other boys, and they are all in the gifted program, so we were used to like 90 and 100-plus. I was freaking out. What was sad was when he finally got like a 70%. I was happy, and I knew my son was capable of doing so much more. I knew he didn't have a learning disability. But I couldn't figure out how to help him. So I told my husband to try Sylvan first. He said if he still has low self-esteem, then we'll go to a counselor and work on behavioral things.

My son is still unfortunately being bullied because he's at a really hoity-toity elitist school. But he has so much more confidence. He knows he's not stupid. He's putting these kids in their places because they're not doing well in school. And the teachers are always saying how he is the epitome of the kind of student they wanna have in their class. He went from bringing home papers, D's and F's, and then on his report card, he was getting more B's and C's, and this past semester, he got straight A's. That way, I know it's not just Sylvan saying, "Oh yeah, your kid's doing great." Now that he's getting straight A's and he's coming home with 100%, I know Sylvan is working.

I had the tutors that we were going to. They were part of the school he went to, and they were lovely people, but they had no baseline for my son. They really didn't know the gaps and they really didn't have a tried and true method of filling it in. And then they never really followed up, whereas with Sylvan, I go back every month, they retest my son, and they show me exactly what he's accomplished and what's on the horizon.

Rebecca is the director there. She's phenomenal. I, in the beginning, was calling her all the time with questions, and she was always very patient and always available. She's the epitome of the kind of person you wanna have at your company working for you. I just met with Rebecca last week. My son was like a low third grade reading level when he was in fifth grade when he was tested. Now, he's almost at a seventh grade reading level. And she even said, "Shannon, I really have never seen a kid grow this much." I've already sent friends and strangers to Sylvan. I've already told them about it.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I went with Sylvan for homework help for my child. The tutor is more knowledgeable about what teachers are looking for. They help the child get past whatever mental block they're having and ask the appropriate types of questions. Then, the kid is the one who does the work and gets through that. Thus far, I think their system works. At Sylvan, there are all these really bright kids, who love to go to school and they also have kids who can’t stand school but need to get it done. Sylvan has to balance that and they do all right.

So far, my child has been with one tutor more than any of the other tutors and hasn’t had any complaints at all. Sylvan has its niche in what it’s needed for. They’ve gone out of their way. They were at the elementary school to help kids who are kind of disadvantaged, who have rough lives, to work with them on learning how to read. That was pretty excellent for that organization to do that. Sylvan's staff are people who are trained to be good, cheerleading and encouraging and getting the children to have an appreciation of learning and themselves. Thus far, Sylvan has worked out great for our situation despite it not being cheap. If raising grades or getting children up to the level they need to be at is a parent's concern or if they are looking for a tutoring option, I would encourage them to go to Sylvan. Going with them has had remarkable results for us.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

Sylvan was one of the few options we've had in our area other than a Mathnasium of some sort. My son was transitioning from elementary school to middle school and was challenged with workload volume, study habits, and other things. We're working through broad subjects overall, and it's more to get him a little more adept to process changes that he never had or how to use the computer and speak with his teacher, so on and so forth. He struggled in the first quarter as he had 1 or 2 C's. Then, on the second quarter, he was all B's. He seems to be excited or a little more engaged now.

The staff there seem to be fine. We worked really well with Marissa, who is the site leader and so far, so good. Some of the the instructors are fairly young, and that's a pro with the fact that they can relate to the child and understand the process and what they're going through. They may have recently been exposed to it, and they may lack some of the attention to detail in some of the processes they were working on, but we have had the ability to get feedback from my son. He would come in and say, "I don't know that I can work with that teacher or that instructor," and they immediately make a change for the next visit and make sure he gets what he wants or what he needs.

Many families may not afford going with Sylvan but there are available options for the financial aspect, which is great. Still, the ones that really need it are not able to take access or able to take advantage of the program. They ought to have a presentation at the school itself for kids coming out of elementary and going into middle school, and go over the financing options and what the program is. Because when we did an open house, we were thinking, "What's next?" If Sylvan could sit there, answer questions, and hand out cards, then that would be phenomenal.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I did a Google search for math tutors because there are a lot of small colleges around this area of Burlington, Vermont. I thought there would be somebody out there who needed some extra cash, like a college student, to help my daughter with her Math and it would be easy. My daughter is 15 and I wanna know who she is associated with. When I started finding people, they were not caring so much about Math but just on making a few extra dollars. That was fine but that was not what I was looking to help my daughter improve her Math scores. I tried Sylvan and it seemed to be a good fit.

My daughter scored really high on her initial exam but she doesn’t have any confidence. Even though she could figure things out, she couldn’t take the tests in the time allotted. She would usually run over which made her embarrassed because the next kids would be coming and she would still be taking the test from the previous period. The purpose of the tutoring was to build confidence in the subject and to make her comfortable in her ability.

My daughter loves her experience with Sylvan. She actually got mad when we had to cut back to one day a week. She said she wanted to go back to two. But because she plays two sports, it got really hard. If people ask, I'd tell them why we paid Sylvan. I wasn’t sure at first, but they are helping my daughter with her grade and that’s results right there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

It seems to have been much better with Sylvan compared to my previous tutoring option. My children have gotten more experienced with Math, Reading and confidence. I've been satisfied. I would continue to do it and other people should try them.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

In the past, Sylvan had worked with individuals with ADD. My son was diagnosed with ADD and they helped him learn to use certain types of skills that they instilled in him. They said, “Maybe if you read it this way and take your time.” It was their style of teaching to help him with his disability. We started out with Reading and then renewed the contract because they did so well. We also added on Math. He went from his grades barely passing to being an honor roll student. Sylvan is a good school and I’d highly recommend it. It’s definitely worth the money, no ands, ifs, or buts. There’s nothing better than to see the happiness on your child’s face.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

The tutoring place where my son used to go to like giving homework, and my son didn’t like homeworks. It was also paper-based and he wanted to do iPad-based. He is going to Sylvan now and he likes them. He is doing math, reading, and writing, and the tutor helped him improve in speed and understanding the concept. He doesn’t have any anxiety with them. He is open and the flow is very smooth between the student and teacher. So, go ahead and give them a try as well.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Sylvan is a good place to improve your skills for any subject. I focused mostly in Math, and for ACC setting, I went from a 19 to a 23. It's a pretty good jump because I took it two times before and I kept on getting a 19. Sylvan is better than the other tutoring I had because I was able to talk to somebody and ask about the questions that I had. From there, I was able to focus on the questions that I found myself stumbling on, to study on them more. So if you put in the hardcore focus and study, then you’ll be able to use them as a good resource.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Sylvan helped my daughter with her homework in Science and Math. She liked going there and she got a lot more confident when she had somebody that helped her. The only reason we stopped is because her brother is now able to tutor her.

Sylvan Learning Centers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company offers personalized tutoring and test prep for students of all levels at locations across the globe. Contact your location for specific details on pricing and payment plan options.

• Sylvan Learning Center locations: Find a Sylvan Learning Center in any state in the U.S. as well as in Canada, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam.

• Sylvan Learning Center prices: Prices are competitive with after-hour activities and tutoring in your area. STEM programs start around $99.

• Unique assessment process compares students to national norms: Students take a test and are observed by tutors prior to beginning service so tutors can pinpoint strengths, weaknesses and ability to pass state exams.

• Offers educational games to help students between sessions: Students can download apps and play educational games to increase their academic skills all week long.

• Online and in person tutoring options: Students with busy schedules can get tutoring at their convenience thanks to the variety of options.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team