4.8/5 (164 ratings)

About Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan Learning Center offers individualized in-person or online educational support to children and their families. Most of its students receive a combination of tutoring, homework assistance and help with college prep and study skills.

Top Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had private tutors before but Sylvan was more structured and more organized… We have them for Math and English. The tutor was able to improve my son's knowledge and gave him sk...

Verified

One of my coworkers told me about Sylvan Learning Centers. So far, the program has been building my son's confidence and is working on comprehending what he is reading. It has bee...

What is Sylvan Learning Center?

Sylvan Learning Center offers test prep, college prep and tutoring courses. Every child’s learning plan with Sylvan is individualized to their needs — Sylvan combines teaching and technology to ensure each child gets the support they need to succeed. It starts by assessing each child to create a personalized plan. Then, tutors start the program, adapting alongside the child as their skills grow.

Families have the option to choose between an online or in-person schedule at one of the many Sylvan Learning Centers across the nation. Online tutoring is live and offers the same benefits as in-person sessions.

Sylvan Learning Center costs

Sylvan offers a variety of affordable and customizable educational programs. Each plan includes convenient scheduling and flexible payment options. All prices are set by local facilities, so costs vary widely. For example, personalized tutoring starts at $44 per hour in Kansas City, Missouri and $57 per hour in Brooklyn, New York.

Its other programs include a hybrid curriculum designed to support in-school learning. Sylvan also offers test prep, tutoring, classes, camps and college prep. These services start at around $50 per hour.

Sylvan Learning Centers FAQ

How much does Sylvan ACT prep cost?
ACT prep costs around $46 per hour, on average. Costs vary depending on location.
Does Sylvan offer financial aid?
Yes. Local Sylvan Learning Centers offer financial aid and scholarships based on financial need. These are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
How much does Sylvan Learning Center cost per month?
Tutoring starts at $44 per hour. Depending on how many sessions you need per month, the cost can vary greatly. Sylvan recommends that children with intensive tutoring needs enroll in two to three tutoring sessions per week.
Is Sylvan Learning Center a good franchise?
Yes. Sylvan is trusted by many families, schools and communities. Many reviewers state they had positive experiences with the company.

Is Sylvan Learning Center worth it?

Sylvan Learning Center is a well-known name in the education industry. With a variety of services and the ability to personalize programs for each student, Sylvan offers a solution for most families in need of educational assistance. Though prices range greatly from location to location, Sylvan typically offers reasonable rates when compared to local tutoring companies.

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

We have a foreign exchange student from China, and their first year is always the hardest. They learn basic English but then, when you throw in words from chemistry and words from US history and all these big words, you're like a deer in headlights. So, we started seeing that the writing was on the wall. He's gonna need some more help. I went online, looked around, and my daughter-in-law said that she has used Sylvan for a number of things for her daughter when she lived in Texas. We had another option and we could have done that, but it was much farther away. Sylvan was close so we went with them. We were just gonna see how it would go and he really liked it. We were doing it two days a week, and then we were like, "Okay, we need more." They had availability for two more days. So now, he's doing it Monday through Thursday and sometimes on Saturday if he's got a project coming up or something where he needs that.

We go to a private Christian school, and Sylvan helped him write some things for his Bible class, too. It's writing. He's done much better. He's been calling me the last couple of weeks and he was like, "Maria, I got 77." He had all Fs last quarter. So, for him to get a 77 was like a C and he was so excited. So, I can tell that it's helping. He liked it a lot. So, we're pretty happy. Sylvan has been really flexible and working with us.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

Sylvan has better results and they have their own plan. That's what my nieces needed the most. I needed somebody who knew what they were doing. Sylvan also has certified teachers. One tutor for my oldest niece encourages her to be confident with her answers and to stop second-guessing herself, which I appreciate because she has struggled with that. Most of them have been enthusiastic and open to helping my nieces.

My oldest niece has liked it from the beginning. So far, it's been a positive experience for her. She went from not even being able to count money, which was a very serious issue for me, to now being confident with money. She still has a ways to go, but she understands the basic concepts now. Sylvan has gotten her there. My second niece is doing way better. She hates being in the program, but she went from hating reading to telling her teacher on the first day of school that that was her favorite subject. I was shocked at that. She can read books now on her own. Before, she would cry for hours if you try to make her read something.

I love the reward system. That's been helpful in getting them engaged and enthusiastic about it. My only issue so far has been price. But it's been well worth it. I would recommend it to my friends. The biggest thing I've shared is if your kid is struggling and has mental health illness like anxiety or depression that keeps them from trying, I would send them to Sylvan. It's a one-on-one experience that they are not getting in the classroom.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My son has been off school for two years because of the COVID and he has been not been performing well at school. I'm divorced and his dad let our son go to school in full time only just March so my son missed many things already. The school planned to have my son repeat 4th grade and I'm okay with it. But my son's confidence was butchered. We've been with Kumon for four years and he hates it so much. It is not for everybody. Every time we went there, they also did the assessment. My son is quite playful and they would say that his level is one notch down. So, they keep on letting my son go back to for example, 2nd grade. They let my son do the 1st grade.

I don't know how the assessment was done at Sylvan but I'm happy that majority of my son’s skills level are at least still in the 4th grade. Though the percentile is low, he's in the right grade. One thing also that my son doesn't like about Kumon is the homework. You can't bring homework during school days because he would have five of them and he has no time with those. So he struggled. But so far, he’s had 11 sessions with Sylvan and he is always looking forward going there every Monday, Tuesday and every other Sunday. He likes Sylvan very much. I told my couple of friends about my son’s situation and they are happy about it. I told them about Sylvan and I forward them the website so they can look into it or pass it on to their family or other friends as well.

Original review: April 13, 2022

The school is trying to get the kids ready for the STAAR test. The teachers and staff designated the month of April, and they offered Saturday school from 9:00am to 12:00pm for students that had challenges. My scholar, Alicia, fell into that category, and that schedule interfered with her tutoring with Sylvan because we only go in and we're there for an hour. I had to contact her Sylvan instructor. I nor her Sylvan instructor wanted her to miss out on the opportunity.

I didn't want Alicia to lose her seat, but I really wanted her to take advantage of the tutoring as well because I don't want her to be retained. If she doesn't do well on that STAAR test, I don't know if we're gonna make it to the fourth grade. It wouldn't be a big thing for me, considering COVID and all that she missed the last year and a half, but it will be devastating for her. So, we've been doing everything that we can to bring her up to speed.

It's been a seamless process while dealing with Sylvan. I've interacted with the leader and the instructor there from time to time and they're always pleasant. It has been an overall good experience for me. The communication is always open, and I love the idea that we're communicating with one another. They're also patient with Alicia. She's eight, she's in third grade and we're focusing on reading. Kids sometimes thrive in an environment when they're not familiar with the individual. Versus me trying to teach Alicia at home and me taking her so that she can sit with a third party, the third-party interaction has helped out a great deal. Sylvan has helped her to be a lot more confident. She takes her time and sounds the word out.

Original review: March 13, 2022

Sylvan has been wonderful. My first two children struggled with the ACT despite being very good students. I proactively, for my third child, got ahead of the student-issued ACT and enrolled him. What sold me was the ability to have one-on-one guidance for him. Sylvan offered an upfront, free test. They'd score it then they'd give us recommendations specific to my son. That was what I needed. He's had enough remote learning and didn't have to sit in his room on a computer anymore.

The woman who owns the franchise met with us and shared with us the results. She also shared with us the tools that he can use on his own, and the oversight that she can utilize to make sure he's in fact doing what he needs to do. Seeing the tools and that he's got everything for himself to make himself set up for success was nice for the owner to take the time and show us. My son comes twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. He had his school ACT on a Tuesday and I had planned on having him come for his Tuesday night session. She called and said, “Let's give him a break. He’s had enough of the ACTs. I want him to know that I wish him all the best today.” That’s classy.

This most recent test is not scored yet but we took the baseline test before we even signed up. Then we did another test at Sylvan prior to the school-issued test and my son went up several points. His score went up substantially in reading. It was six points but it raised his overall score by two. That is awesome to be able to move two points overall. His confidence has improved and he's in a much better place because of their services. For a kid who'd much rather do anything other than study for the ACT, this has not been miserable. He's walked out of that building several times saying, “I learned something.” His experience is not dreadful. He realizes this is going to help him, not only for the ACT, but for college as well. Thank you to Sylvan for what they've done to my child.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Sylvan is focusing on reading and writing for my son who is in first grade. I'm very satisfied with them. We had our first assessment and it was fine. This is our second month. We're seeing how my son is developing and the little bit of progress. Hopefully, it'll continue. He goes there once a week for two hours. He likes going there. It is a little pricey but we're paying for it because we care about my son's education. It's an investment.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

My daughter's working on phonics and reading. She's very happy to go to Sylvan and she enjoys it and she's not resisting. She's approaching reading better. I'm not regretting my decision. They're really great.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2022

We've been using Sylvan for a month and a half now. Our experience has been excellent. My daughter loves them more than school. Her subjects are reading and math and I've seen significant improvement. She picks up a lot better. They've also had really good communication. They're super great. I love them. We're gonna continue using them. When our second child goes to school, we'll enroll him also.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

My daughter struggled in school. Especially after COVID, we wanna make sure she has the best opportunities to succeed. We had joined Sylvan right before COVID and then COVID hit. Then there was a snafu that we got lost in the system. They were gracious enough to bring us back on and take care of it. So, we re-upped for her. She's enjoying it. She's getting the help that she needs currently. She doesn’t give us a hard time when it's time to go. Their staff is also nice. Everybody's pleasant. She’s had a good experience.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

We've been going to Sylvan for two months now. My son fights almost every time to go, but he leaves pretty satisfied.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information