2. Education
  3. Tutoring
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.75/5

Sylvan Learning Center offers individualized in-person or online educational support to children and their families. Most of its students receive a combination of tutoring, homework assistance and help with college prep and study skills.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)

BOTTOM LINE

With customizable plans and flexible options, Sylvan is a good option for many families looking for educational support. Prices range from $44 to much higher, but financial aid can help to keep it affordable.

PROS

• Flexible options
  • Customizable plans
  • Starts at $44 per hour

CONS

• Tutoring only in some subjects
  • Can be expensive

Top Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

We had private tutors before but Sylvan was more structured and more organized… We have them for Math and English. The tutor was able to improve my son's knowledge and gave him skills in both subjects… Even when we went to remote…They were very engaging. The teachers are amazing. I love them…

One of my coworkers told me about Sylvan Learning Centers. So far, the program has been building my son's confidence and is working on comprehending what he is reading. It has been good. We meet monthly to evaluate his progress. I've already recommended Sylvan to a few people so far.

What is Sylvan Learning Center?

Sylvan Learning Center offers test prep, college prep and tutoring courses. Every child’s learning plan with Sylvan is individualized to their needs — Sylvan combines teaching and technology to ensure each child gets the support they need to succeed. It starts by assessing each child to create a personalized plan. Then, tutors start the program, adapting alongside the child as their skills grow.

Families have the option to choose between an online or in-person schedule at one of the many Sylvan Learning Centers across the nation. Online tutoring is live and offers the same benefits as in-person sessions.

Sylvan Learning Center costs

Sylvan offers a variety of affordable and customizable educational programs. Each plan includes convenient scheduling and flexible payment options. All prices are set by local facilities, so costs vary widely. For example, personalized tutoring starts at $44 per hour in Kansas City, Missouri and $57 per hour in Brooklyn, New York.

Its other programs include a hybrid curriculum designed to support in-school learning. Sylvan also offers test prep, tutoring, classes, camps and college prep. These services start at around $50 per hour.

Sylvan Learning Centers FAQ

How much does Sylvan ACT prep cost?
ACT prep costs around $46 per hour, on average. Costs vary depending on location.
Does Sylvan offer financial aid?
Yes. Local Sylvan Learning Centers offer financial aid and scholarships based on financial need. These are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
How much does Sylvan Learning Center cost per month?
Tutoring starts at $44 per hour. Depending on how many sessions you need per month, the cost can vary greatly. Sylvan recommends that children with intensive tutoring needs enroll in two to three tutoring sessions per week.
Is Sylvan Learning Center a good franchise?
Yes. Sylvan is trusted by many families, schools and communities. Many reviewers state they had positive experiences with the company.

Is Sylvan Learning Center worth it?

Sylvan Learning Center is a well-known name in the education industry. With a variety of services and the ability to personalize programs for each student, Sylvan offers a solution for most families in need of educational assistance. Though prices range greatly from location to location, Sylvan typically offers reasonable rates when compared to local tutoring companies.

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Sylvan was specifically offered as a contractor that my employer was utilizing for the purpose of having their employees have access to student tutoring to assist with work-at-home stuff. My job essentially paid for the tutoring sessions up to a certain threshold, and then I was initially gonna cover the rest, but I didn't go past the first month. We did their homework help program because my daughter's in first grade, and she's got a bunch of things that need to be finished by the end of every day. And because I work from home until five o'clock, I'm not always free to help her concentrate on that stuff, and so I was taking her in there to drop her off. They had a list of the work she needed done. The person there would help her get all her work done. When I picked her up, her work would be finished, and so we could finish up for the day and go home.

Their health and safety stuff is really good. Everyone gets their temperature taken before going in. However, it was not clearly stated that the parents weren't supposed to go into the building. My daughter's six and it was unnerving at first to just let her off in the parking lot and have her run into the building on her own. I went in and there weren’t any signs saying adults need to wait downstairs. I get this is their policy to minimize exposure, but I guess the way they want it to work is that you send the kids in, the kids get their temperature taken, and when they go upstairs, there's plexiglass dividers between all the workstations. I thought it could be communicated a little bit better. In the end, it worked out fine for letting her off in the parking lot, and I would walk her to the entrance.

For us, the program wasn't that flexible and we ended up canceling or not going there anymore. We didn't have a lot of options for exactly the kind of help our daughter needed. The only thing that was available to us was the homework help. Then the availability for sessions for homework help is limited because their attendance rate is low, and so they don't have enough teachers to cover having more homework slots. I could have chosen between a morning session and an afternoon session. In the end, not enough people were participating in the morning session for them to keep it open so it was only afternoon session that was available for us.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Michelle,

We understand your frustration and are so sorry you feel this way. We are sending you a direct message now so we can help resolve this!

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I've told the school that Kylie was behind but they wouldn't listen to me. They don't know my kid better than I do. We had a meeting and they did a testing on her. And when Sylvan did the testing on her, she was second grade Reading, and that's what I had guessed. She's about second grade Reading and third grade Math. She started going downhill with Math when the school started doing the reading problems. And I don't want her to get to fifth grade until she knows it. If she doesn't feel she can answer these questions, she will just do as they always did. They will just keep pushing her off to the next teacher. Sylvan has been my absolute lifesaver. I love it.

I had my son go there as well when he was younger. That's how I knew about Sylvan. My son's 22 now. He ended up graduating two years early. When he was in first grade, and part of second grade, he missed a whole year of school because he was bit by a dog and he had to do rehabilitation. The school was going to hold him back. We found Sylvan and through that summer he went to them, and he learned more in that summer. Not only did he catch up the year that he missed, he was ahead of half the year of the next year just in that short amount of time, just through the summer which was, back then, a little longer than what they have now but not by much.

Kylie absolutely loves Sylvan. She does not like school, period. There's no doubt in my mind she doesn’t like school because she doesn’t know the heck what they’re doing. On the other hand, there’s Sylvan that makes her feel as if even the slightest little thing that she is doing is just wonderful and great. She has two different tutors. Math is male and the Reading is female, and both of them say that she does absolutely wonderful on the one on one. Also, she is excited to go. She would get up on Monday and Tuesdays and be like, “I gotta go to school today!” That's rare because now she says, “Gosh, school starts. I hate that. Why does school have to start? Tell them to shut back down.” I wish I have put Kylie sooner than waiting until I got all these numbers and stuff. I should have went with my gut instead of listening to the school, but they kept assuring me that she's meeting her goals. Her goals must’ve been four plus four.

Original review: June 25, 2020

My son struggles a lot with reading. He was diagnosed with ADHD, and he's really behind. When the school went out because of COVID, I was really worried that this is gonna mess him up. So, I kept looking online trying to find him places, and Sylvan popped up. I read the reviews. I called them just trying to see what they did and what they offered. My son needs a lot of help. He's very impatient. They just put him on medication. So, I was worried about him because a lot of people say they're good with kids, but a lot of people aren't, and they don't have any patience. The reviews on Sylvan that I found online were really good. They spoke really highly about the program.

Also, when I called, I found that they were doing it online. That was very convenient. I live too far from the actual center for me to go and take him. So, I like that they do Zoom. Then, they had some type of special going on at the time too. It was like $100 off the first enrollment for the family. There was a lady at Sylvan who has been a complete blessing. My son couldn't read anything. His self-esteem was horrible. He hated reading and didn't want to learn anything. I think he was just too overwhelmed. He would say things that broke my heart like he's too dumb, he doesn't want to do it and he just can't do it. The lady had done better than the actual teachers have.

When my son first started doing it, it was a bit of a struggle because he has low self-esteem when it came to reading. Between Sylvan and maybe a little bit of the medication to help him focus a little bit too, helped out. He was able to read to us. It was only five sentences, but still, this boy couldn't read anything at all. His tutor has been awesome. She knows how to redirect them. She's patient with them. My son is everywhere sometimes, but she knows how to ring him in. She knows how to work with him. She knows the children's learning style. She knows how to mold it around him, and it really does work. This whole COVID thing was crazy, but I'm happy that I found something. Because if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have found Sylvan, and I wouldn't have known about the program, and my son would still be struggling going to school. Sylvan is good at what they do.

Original review: June 23, 2020

My friend had an experience with Sylvan and I decided to give it a try. My son has autism and he has been through a lot between different schools and other experiences. So, he was behind. He’s very smart and it’s just the way he learns. I have a scholarship for him that he receives through the State of Arizona, Department of Education. So, I had some money and I put that towards the tutoring. When we went to Sylvan and did it, I was hoping he was gonna make progress, and he has. He enjoys his tutors and he’s gaining more skills than the average student. It was double the amount for reading. He was supposed to gain 45 skills and he gained 90. Also, he was almost triple than the average student obtains in Math. So, he’s been doing good. We’ve been doing the virtual since this whole COVID situation and he has been doing good with it too.

Sylvan needs to make sure that they’re consistent with the times and try the best they can to keep him skipping weeks. He wasn’t able to talk before and we’ve been doing speech therapy, and his consistency is the number key. When they’re doing it over and over again such as the repetitions with the letter sound and trying to blend all the words, it’s important that they’re able to make sure to stay with the schedule. Reinforcing at home like for math and reading are kinda along the lines that Sylvan does like the phonics-based stuff for reading. My son has only been in it since early February and he’s reading books now. Doing a little extra at home makes a difference.

My son was in the middle of third grade when he got assessed and he was at kindergarten level. The school was doing more stuff when he didn’t even have the foundation to try to do it. It was kinda waste of time. They should’ve been doing the basics with him first and then building up those skills. The reason why I’m happy that we did Sylvan is because they did that. My son is in the middle of second grade now and it was only in February when he started. So, it has been amazing and the staff has been great which includes Mary Ann. Victoria, who does all four different Sylvan Learning Centers in our area, has been great too.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

Sylvan was our last hope. We had used two different tutors, and they were nice teachers, but our son was not improving at all. My mother-in-law is a retired teacher, and she worked for Sylvan many years ago in Massachusetts, and she had said, "You should try Sylvan." So we thought, "Let's try that and see. This'll be our last ditch effort." And it's been amazing. First, we did reading comprehension, which he was horrible in. And then, as he improved, we needed to work on writing. His learning experience through Sylvan has been incredible. He wants to go and he's excited to go.

They have a very precise laid-out plan. It's computerized and they test and see where his gaps are. When he was tested a year ago, he was in fifth grade, and they found gaps back in kindergarten that had never been filled in. It's horrible. He had kindergarten gaps, first grade gaps, second grade, third grade, and fourth grade. He had a long hill to climb. They've got those laptops and they work with him, and they started to just chip away at all the gaps that he had and filled them in. And as he did that, he got stronger in other areas.

With my son, we had been dealing with bullying a lot since second grade. And that's what has really made the learning even more difficult. He had a teacher in second grade that just checked out. She had a lot of emotional issues. We were at a new school, and so I didn't question anything because I didn't wanna be that mom that said, "What's going on?" It was supposedly a wonderful school. I kept checking with the teacher and I told her I didn't believe that my son was doing as well as she was saying. She was saying he was doing great, but he wasn't. She wasn't there. And then, my son was getting bullied on top of it, and then they had to pull him out for special reading intervention. The kids there were telling my kid that he's stupid, so he had super low self-esteem.

It got to the point where my husband and I were like, "Do we get him counseling to help him through this? Or is he feeling awful because he's doing so poorly in school?" He would come home with papers like 39% or 45%. I have three other boys, and they are all in the gifted program, so we were used to like 90 and 100-plus. I was freaking out. What was sad was when he finally got like a 70%. I was happy, and I knew my son was capable of doing so much more. I knew he didn't have a learning disability. But I couldn't figure out how to help him. So I told my husband to try Sylvan first. He said if he still has low self-esteem, then we'll go to a counselor and work on behavioral things.

My son is still unfortunately being bullied because he's at a really hoity-toity elitist school. But he has so much more confidence. He knows he's not stupid. He's putting these kids in their places because they're not doing well in school. And the teachers are always saying how he is the epitome of the kind of student they wanna have in their class. He went from bringing home papers, D's and F's, and then on his report card, he was getting more B's and C's, and this past semester, he got straight A's. That way, I know it's not just Sylvan saying, "Oh yeah, your kid's doing great." Now that he's getting straight A's and he's coming home with 100%, I know Sylvan is working.

I had the tutors that we were going to. They were part of the school he went to, and they were lovely people, but they had no baseline for my son. They really didn't know the gaps and they really didn't have a tried and true method of filling it in. And then they never really followed up, whereas with Sylvan, I go back every month, they retest my son, and they show me exactly what he's accomplished and what's on the horizon.

Rebecca is the director there. She's phenomenal. I, in the beginning, was calling her all the time with questions, and she was always very patient and always available. She's the epitome of the kind of person you wanna have at your company working for you. I just met with Rebecca last week. My son was like a low third grade reading level when he was in fifth grade when he was tested. Now, he's almost at a seventh grade reading level. And she even said, "Shannon, I really have never seen a kid grow this much." I've already sent friends and strangers to Sylvan. I've already told them about it.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

During the time we spent at Sylvan, the company was unorganized and unprofessional. We had to stop using Sylvan due to the pandemic but prior to that the company changed center directors three times, then late in 2019 changed owners. The owner did not have a clue what he was doing and when the pandemic hit, I told him we would no longer be attending but I was still getting charged for sessions we did not use. When I did go visit the owner, he had children running around without masks, this was in August/September timeframe when pandemic had reached one of its peaks. I asked him for documentation of charges and when he showed me my file, he had written us down for sessions we did not attend. He said he would have to get back with me; never did.

I then called the credit company to dispute charges and they took his side. I again disputed the sessions and received an email from LendingClub Patient Solutions who had no clue what they were doing and said I needed to speak with the owner. I made a call to the center and the man, the owner will not call me back. Do not use this center - they just want your money. The center we attended was the one on Bandera in San Antonio, Texas.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hello Bella - Thank you for getting in touch about this. We're sorry to hear you had this experience with us! We'd like to try and help, so we've sent you a message with more details about how to get in touch with our Support Team. Again, thanks for letting us know about your experience!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

The tutor was wonderful and understanding. I love Sylvan and my experience has been great. I would recommend it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

Sylvan Learning definitely helped my son. He was struggling in geometry. He's doing really good now. Even in his final, he had a 41 in that class, and he's brought it up all the way to an 80. If he needs to go back, I will be sending him back. They did an awesome job. I've already told my sister about them. Her son has dyslexia and has been struggling. To anybody who struggles, I would recommend it 100%.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

My daughter really enjoyed her experience at Sylvan. She was excited to go. Their one-on-one process with the child is really amazing. We’re really thankful for it. They’re very knowledgeable and skilled with what they do and we, as parents, notice that. Also, it's not overly expensive and the staff was amazing from the start to the end. They focused on every subject with our daughter and she's had all As and a B minus in the subject areas. It saved her confidence. If we ever run into another problem, she's going right back there and she's okay with that.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2020

My son enjoys the learning experience with Sylvan. So far, so good. We focus pretty much on comprehension and we're still working on it. The facilitators have been great and we've had a great experience. I always thought that Sylvan was the best. If you need it, you should use it.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information