Learn More

4.8/5 (190 ratings)

About Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan Learning Center offers individualized in-person or online educational support to children and their families. Most of its students receive a combination of tutoring, homework assistance and help with college prep and study skills.

Top Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had private tutors before but Sylvan was more structured and more organized… We have them for Math and English. The tutor was able to improve my son's knowledge and gave him sk...

Verified

One of my coworkers told me about Sylvan Learning Centers. So far, the program has been building my son's confidence and is working on comprehending what he is reading. It has bee...

What is Sylvan Learning Center?

Sylvan Learning Center offers test prep, college prep and tutoring courses. Every child’s learning plan with Sylvan is individualized to their needs — Sylvan combines teaching and technology to ensure each child gets the support they need to succeed. It starts by assessing each child to create a personalized plan. Then, tutors start the program, adapting alongside the child as their skills grow.

Families have the option to choose between an online or in-person schedule at one of the many Sylvan Learning Centers across the nation. Online tutoring is live and offers the same benefits as in-person sessions.

Sylvan Learning Center costs

Sylvan offers a variety of affordable and customizable educational programs. Each plan includes convenient scheduling and flexible payment options. All prices are set by local facilities, so costs vary widely. For example, personalized tutoring starts at $44 per hour in Kansas City, Missouri and $57 per hour in Brooklyn, New York.

Its other programs include a hybrid curriculum designed to support in-school learning. Sylvan also offers test prep, tutoring, classes, camps and college prep. These services start at around $50 per hour.

Sylvan Learning Centers FAQ

How much does Sylvan ACT prep cost?
ACT prep costs around $46 per hour, on average. Costs vary depending on location.
Does Sylvan offer financial aid?
Yes. Local Sylvan Learning Centers offer financial aid and scholarships based on financial need. These are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
How much does Sylvan Learning Center cost per month?
Tutoring starts at $44 per hour. Depending on how many sessions you need per month, the cost can vary greatly. Sylvan recommends that children with intensive tutoring needs enroll in two to three tutoring sessions per week.
Is Sylvan Learning Center a good franchise?
Yes. Sylvan is trusted by many families, schools and communities. Many reviewers state they had positive experiences with the company.

Is Sylvan Learning Center worth it?

Sylvan Learning Center is a well-known name in the education industry. With a variety of services and the ability to personalize programs for each student, Sylvan offers a solution for most families in need of educational assistance. Though prices range greatly from location to location, Sylvan typically offers reasonable rates when compared to local tutoring companies.

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: April 20, 2021

The lady who works with my daughter is good about communicating. She's good about checking our email so if I ever send anything to her, she gets it quickly and responds quickly too. My daughter likes working with her and I love that the time schedule is so flexible. My daughter’s focus is on psychology and study skills. Her grade has improved in Psychology. It is an AP class and it’s very difficult. She’s only in tenth grade and it’s college level material. She's very capable because she always has been and she's always been very disciplined and mature for her age. But that maturity has slowed down a whole lot and she wasn't applying herself. Also, there’s a boyfriend involved now. He’s a good kid and I try to remind myself that I was a teenager once too. So, I know that it's a phase she's going through. But I got to the point where I have to do something to help her.

I had always heard good things about Sylvan so I checked into it and liked it. So it's been a good experience. My daughter's a little easygoing, friendly and very social. But still, she's 15 and for many teenagers, when their parents are the ones that sought out tutoring because they were unhappy with their grades, sometimes they don’t have the best attitude about it from the very beginning. And that has meant everything to me that she likes working with her. So that's a positive. The tutor has been good with her.

The only issue I've had is that there's one girl that works in Sylvan that if she were to be assigned as my daughter's tutor, I would have turned it down. One day, she was in charge while the director was doing something with another student and she didn't know what she was doing as well as what I was doing there. It was an awkward experience. I did tell Sylvan about it and they probably talked to her about it. Whoever I had been texting when I first started looking into it was super nice. She passed it on to the director of our local center. She emailed me a response and I appreciated that. Because a lot of times, you express something and you never hear back from anybody. She said that it would be addressed and that the girl was not usually like that. It's been a good experience for us with Sylvan and I'm a teacher, so I would recommend it to fellow students and fellow moms who might need that.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2021

My kids were failing in school during virtual learning because they were not getting the proper time on the computer. They were backward from the time that they got out of school and never progressed. One of my kids was having a problem and she couldn't go to tutoring because of the pandemic. That's when I started looking into tutoring. I saw that Sylvan was doing the tutoring in person. I wanted that because my kids are better in person than on the computer.

I got my kids on to there and testing was done. The testing point of what I know where my kids stopped was what they told me. They gotta be doing something correct because how would they know the same thing that I knew? I signed up the kids for the program after they did their testing and I've been liking it ever since. My kids are excited about what they learn and they tell me about them. I'm seeing progress. I'm seeing more confidence in them and in what they are doing.

The focus of their learning is on English and language. With math, you can pick it up if you know how to read and you know how to concentrate. But when it comes to reading, if you don't know how to pronounce and sound out some words, you're not gonna get anywhere. The tutors are doing a great job. Communication and everything is the key and that's what they're doing. The communication level is at 100 to me. They communicate with me about anything and I can go in there. There's a lady named Ana and when she's there and I have any questions, she would talk to me. When I had to change my days and times, she was right on it with a snap of a finger. She handled it as fast as she could and I like that.

My kids' friends and parents would be talking to me and telling me that their kid is struggling. I always tell them, "Even if you don't continue with the program, go to Sylvan and do the assessment test. And at least, they'll tell you the levels and then you say if you like it or not." The only thing I wish Sylvan had was a discount level. I have two kids going there.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

We did not enjoy Kumon for the reason that they had homework that my son would have to take home. My son goes to a private school. So to keep up that homework plus Kumon's homework was not working. Then if you missed a day, then you had to redo all those pages. So it was giving more stress than helping. So I took him out of that and we went to Sylvan. My son is way more into sports than studies and he loves going there. He loves the people at Sylvan. I asked him the other day who his favorite teachers were, and he named all of them. That's saying a lot coming from a kid that doesn't enjoy studying all the time. So they've been great.

My son does math and reading. I have noticed a difference because even when we are doing homework, he'll use concepts that the teachers have shown him because private schools do it a little more difficult because they accelerate. So they don't spend as much time explaining concepts to the core, whereas Sylvan will review it and explain those concepts to him. So sometimes he uses their concepts in class, which is a huge plus.

The teachers make a huge difference because it can be the same exact program with different teachers and it may not work. They are very accommodating and extremely nice. They actually make it fun for my son. That's huge because most of the time, kids are already burnt out, and to add them into another educational program, completely, they just shut it down. So it's helpful that they find fun ways for him to learn. So Sylvan has been a blessing for me. But it's pretty pricey and it's difficult to do it year-round. So I just try to find during the summertime and the end of the school year to give him another boost than just shutting down.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

With the coronavirus and all that stuff that's been going on with my son in school, there was a decline in some of his reading. He's in first grade, so this is kind of their foundation being set up. So I was looking into who were still open and available for help, and Sylvan was one of the options that was nearby, and that I had seen over the course of years, like even from when I was in school. When I'm thinking of tutoring or help for a child, I would look for somebody that has longevity like Sylvan versus other word of mouth places that I've heard.

My son noticed that he wasn't thriving as much as he was prior to school, letting out the previous year. His excitement for learning picked back up since he started with Sylvan, and so that was enough for me to be happy with the progress. Also, they get a lot of reading tests in first grade and his scores have gone up. So I know that he's getting what he needs to get from them, even if it's just for his little two days out of the week with that. I've also noticed that they're reinforcing what we already do at home.

Some teachers are more kind of passive than others when it comes to getting the children to do it correctly. It may just be a difference of they don't really know how a child was gonna respond to them pushing the envelope every now and then, because they don't have the same relationship I have as his mom. They should make sure that they're pushing the child every time, even if they have to give a little encouragement along the way, and making sure that the child is really understanding what is going on and making use of the time that they are there because we pay by the hour. If you got a child that’s sitting and they're struggling in the beginning, it is not okay to just let that slide by in an hour because that's time that they do need to be using to focus on actually building the skills that they're going there for.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I was looking online for tutoring services and there were two places that I inquired. I asked on their website to give me more information and of the two places, Sylvan replied first. They called me literally the next day, and I was blown away by how quick their response was. Even their availability to make an appointment for the assessment was really quick. We set up an assessment pretty much the next day. At the assessment, the director showed me what the price options were for the packages. I like that they had the prepaid sessions. We signed up for the prepaid 60-session. Also, they were willing to work with me on dividing up the payment. So, we set up on a four-month plan. They were very flexible with me, which I appreciate.

They told me, “If anything happens and you need to change your payment plan, if you need to change the amount, the month we complete this, or even if you guys need to end tutoring to her, we’re very negotiable and flexible about that.” So I really appreciated that. I love the fact that the environment was very welcoming. My son felt comfortable right away. The director brings her dog to work. His name is Buddy, and he is super calm. He’s the calmest dog I've ever met. He’s perfect for the environment. He is well-trained. My son has anxiety. So, for him feeling super-comfortable because he saw the dog, he was able to make a connection with the director. They look forward to tutoring because of that.

I love the classes they have, the stuff in-store, and the token system. The tutor pretty much started from the basics, like reviewing all the special sounds, the three-letter words, and basically getting that foundation mastered for my son to feel more comfortable and moving on to next words, and special blends. I'm just surprised. How do they get kids focused in one hour to get all this accomplished? They do homework, flashcards, and a little bit of tablet time. So, I'm really happy that we did Sylvan. The location is very convenient for us. I'm definitely supportive of this program.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Sylvan reading program has helped my kid read faster and comprehend the subject he read. My kid is happy with the program and Sylvan tutors. I would recommend my friends to enroll Sylvan reading, writing for their children.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I had our daughter in Sylvan's program for SAT prep. She had to wear a mask and there was only a couple of other people in the class. But she benefited from it. I’d tell others to go ahead, contact Sylvan, and see if it's right for them.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

I'm pretty happy with Sylvan's program. The tutor focused my child's reading comprehension and writing skills. There has been some improvement with him. He's more confident. Sylvan is worth it. They've been super helpful.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2021

A friend's son goes. Also, my grandson had once went. I've seen how well Sylvan helped them and I thought it would be of help for my granddaughter. Sylvan assessed my granddaughter and found where her weaknesses are and set up some goals for her to achieve in her reading, building her confidence, as well as Math. They're very helpful and informative. We meet once a month to assess their goals and see how well they're doing. My daughter has mastered a few goals ever since she came on. She's right where she should be. I would extremely recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

I’ve used Sylvan before with my grandkids and I like the service. I like the people, too. This time, the student that I enrolled is in the 9th grade, so I want him to get extra help for school. They helped him with his Math and they were flexible with the hours. In both times we used Sylvan, I was in a position where I could afford the service but it was a little expensive.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information