4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

208 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

The Sylvan Learning that I used is not far from one of my homes, and there was a lot of positive feedback on them online. They focused on reading with my child. Her reading improved, and how they grade them on the different areas she needs improvement on had all gone up. We used them in the summertime, and I was so happy with the service, we transferred all her files over to another Sylvan facility located closer to where we live during the school year. She's continuing with the program, and I would highly recommend it. She's definitely feeling more confident about her reading, so that is making me feel very happy. It has been a positive experience. I have referred Sylvan already to a friend.

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Sylvan's hours were really good after school hours and it had a lot of flexibility. I could reschedule if things come up within 24 hours. My child was having issues with writing and we did a year with Sylvan where the tutor organized and planned their essays. My child didn't want to continue doing it anymore and we felt that he had improved in school, so we took him out. I've recommended Sylvan Learning to friends and several friends are doing it.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Sylvan Learning got a good reputation and my nephew went to them years and years ago. They were good and if we could afford it, we would keep our child, who has ADDH in it. The tutor focus on Math and our child said he understood and they taught him in a way that he could understand. He seems to be focusing a little bit on it and he can comprehend. If he can just focus his attention, he'd do good. I'd highly recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I'm much happier with the experience we had at Sylvan than prior tutoring options we had. My daughter needed help in math and reading and now, her confidence went up. She looked forward to her tutoring sessions with her Sylvan teacher each week and is really happy with it overall. It's been an excellent experience. So, I highly recommend Sylvan and I already did.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I’m discontented with the public school. I visited another private school here and I didn’t see a lot of difference. It was very crowded. My next stop was Sylvan. We went to visit the classroom, and I liked what I saw. Also, the director was very knowledgeable, and Sylvan seemed like a good fit for us. My child attends the academy, which is a full-time school, so he gets all his subjects. His learning experience has been wonderful. School is fun there. They are busy all the time, and he looks forward to coming every day. His grades are good, too. It’s well worth the money. Come and have a look at Sylvan. You will be pleased with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

My daughter has reading and spelling with Sylvan and she's starting to comprehend a little bit better and starting to recognize her phonics. Her experience has also been good 'cause she's excited to go and doesn't want to leave when I pick her up. I would recommend Sylvan and give my friends the card to the one to go to.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Sylvan was the only one that had the robotics course for my son. My son's teacher was fantastic. She and my son were very hands-on. She emailed all the things they accomplished that day. My son needs to read more things about legwork courses for science and engineering for kids. He liked the course. He wants to keep going with it. He wants to take more. Sylvan is definitely worth it. Our experience was amazing.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

My daughter has a learning delay and I needed some professional help for her reading and math. At Sylvan, they focused on just reading. She still struggles, just a little, with basic concepts because we have to get her all caught up but she does well with Sylvan and she is reading more fluently now. Sylvan has great service. Their reps are very hands-on and my daughter loves the rewards that she gets from it. So, that’s a great incentive for her in her learning curve.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

My children like their experience with Sylvan a lot. One of my children has Reading and Writing and the other one has Math. My daughter who's doing Math seems to understand word problems a lot better and I hope that's from Sylvan 'cause it's expensive. They see their tutor once a week and they like the instructors, using the tablets and the reward system. The kids enjoy Sylvan a lot more and I would recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

With Sylvan Learning, the kid has to do the writing and the exercise or go through the instruction. He would not come home with packets or other things he has to complete at home and then fall behind because he would struggle to write or to complete the tasks. The instructors are more prepared or knowledgeable of the different ways of interacting with the kids. My son liked going there to work with most of the teachers. They found a way to motivate him and keep him on task. He already got the most offerings in the center here. In math, he got the fundamentals. In writing, he had to have reading comprehension and organization skills flow into it which took some time. He learned how to structure his ideas and approach the text. With the combination of skills in school, he’d learn to organize his thoughts and approach and break down his projects or other things in parts, instead of being scared of them as one big thing to do.

The Sylvan center transferred to a new location, and with that, they also brought new staff and it was a disaster. I was disappointed. I already got the package of hours and the new system or teachers, and the demonstration was so disorganized that my son almost refused to go and I was very close to asking for my money back. Ben put my son in San Ramon because he thought that since my son is already a little older and in high school, he was going to put him in the writing program that he already had finished even with extra hours to start from the fourth grade. Then Sylvan put in Jennifer in San Ramon. She has eyes at things for reading comprehension and critical thinking with the text in writing. That really motivated my son and helped him go through this and he’s been quite successful in high school now. In the beginning, his career had been quite turbulent and when they left him, it went great.

Education is a slow process in every individual. Sylvan has a lot of twists and turns to find or accommodate, but overall the system works. I'd tell others to interview different centers to see where they fit. That is a good program but it needs to have a good comprehension of what their kid needs and what can be offered instead of buying into the pre-planned packet of hours and all the skills that he needs to go over.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Sylvan Learning Centers has done a fantastic job with my daughter. They are close to our house so it has worked out with them. The tutor focused on the subject areas of reading, math, science, and history with her, and they also did some Spanish. For my daughter to improve in those subject areas, the tutor helped her with reading comprehension and with basic facts and word problems in math. We've been using Sylvan for two years and since we obtained a tutor through them, my daughter has had a better attitude and she has been encouraged. Her self-esteem has been helped as well. I would recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

We were using the K State reading program where we went to a summer school program and my son read books and then had a one-hour class. Sylvan Learning, on the other hand, is a little more detailed compared to that program. The tutor focused on English and has been helping my son work on his writing, comprehension and reading. My son's learning experience has been positive and his writing has definitely improved. I would recommend Sylvan Learning Centers.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

We’ve stuck with Sylvan for years because it’s been consistently the best thing in town for us. They’re really reliable. Over the years, we have developed a relationship with them, almost an extended family. The kids can talk about what they feel and how things are going. It is an extension of our regular life, so we never feel the need to go shopping for more here in Honolulu. We were out of town for several years and part of the things of coming back was signing up for weekly courses with them again.

My son was in an AP program in the mainland and I’m homeschooling him. He’s older and he's a middle schooler. He comes to Sylvan for support, so we don’t veer off the common curriculum and they can reach out and help the gifted kids. When he was in second grade, we had a horrible time at school. He was in a nice private school, but he was being bullied. He didn’t need help with math. He needed more. Sylvan provided that extra step. He was better than any of his peers in school and they were giving him not only intellectual stimulation but the reassurance. As a mom, you can reassure them so much that they’re doing well and that it’s not their problem. However, they need to hear it from other people and Sylvan gave him what he needed.

We do the tutorials once a week. Sylvan is pricey but had I been able to afford more, I would have sent him more often. Years ago, he had some emotional support, besides academic support, from the tutors at Sylvan and that really carried a long way. We mostly focused on math, which is the wobbliest possible content in the public school system and occasionally English. My son is very good at STEM topics but he’s not good at writing essays. He’s very slow on putting things together and the Sylvan tutors are very good at tailoring things to the needs of the kids. They also help my daughter who tends to be behind on school topics.

There is a need to complement public education and, right now, they’re helping my son prepare for SSAT. They also have summer programs for kids and they go out. Being in Hawaii, they have trips to plantations. They offer fun stuff that is also hands-on learning and it looks like they really try to cover all areas. We’re glad Sylvan is here and they are really necessary. It’s worth going to them, and they’re very supportive. They will try to understand the needs of your kid and they will work towards accomplishing them. I have recommended them to friends.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Our daughter is undergoing tutoring at Sylvan for reading. Aside from the improvement that we have noticed in the said area, we’ve also noticed an overall improvement in her confidence within herself and in her ability to try and read. Sylvan Learning seem to have good programs and experienced teachers. Also, we had a really good meeting with them at the center where we go here in Goodyear, Arizona. Sylvan is worth looking into.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I had Sylvan Learning tutor my son and focus on his reading and writing. I liked that they had it set up to where we could come in and make up our own schedule. My son was there for about a month and I was barely starting to notice changes. Then I brought him out because Sylvan was too far for me and a little pricey. On top of that, I found a schoolteacher that was willing to tutor him that was right around the corner from my house. But overall, my experience with Sylvan was good and if I didn’t have a schoolteacher tutoring my son, I would take him back to Sylvan.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Sylvan's tutor provides a hands-on learning experience and consistency on the lessons she gives my child. She focuses on reading and my son is improving. I would recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Sylvan Learning was recommended by a friend. My son is now using their prep homeschooling program. He is taking tutoring sessions focused on writing because one of his challenges is getting his thoughts out. He would put a lot of pressure on himself to pick the exact right words and then he would get stuck and wouldn’t be able to write anything. Sylvan is working with him to let him know that every idea can be a good idea and that he can always go back and change things. They’re giving him some more confidence. Now, he is not stressing so much about making sure that the words are perfect. He is also grasping Math concepts so much faster.

My son goes on the Thursday evening tutoring sessions and at that time of the week, there are only about four other kids, so he gets more one-on-one time with the teacher. My son is really enjoying the sessions. Sylvan’s teaching methods are better than in public schools right now. It’s geared toward the individual student and playing to their strength so kids can get a better education.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Both my daughter and my son took SAT courses at Sylvan and both got the increases that they needed to get into their top choice college. They enjoyed attending their lessons and liked working with their tutors. Thanks Sylvan!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Brooke, my daughter, took the SAT and didn't do so well but we knew she could do better on it. We decided instead that she would take the ACT and it would be good for her to get some classes or some help before taking it. I typed something in Google and found Sylvan. It was on my way home from work and I stopped there and started asking questions. Sylvan is very detail-oriented and focuses on the actual problem itself and not just overall teaching such as the actual issue and how they can correct it.

The tutor had Brooke come in and do a practice test. She noticed that Brooke was taking way too much time on each section and advised her to work on timing since she missed a lot of questions because she timed out. She also saw how she scored in each section and knew which one they should focus on. She explained how the ACT works and was good at very focused-attention various aspects of it. For instance, in the Science section, you don't necessarily have to know all the Science. It's more about knowing how to read the graph. I was so amazed by this woman. I thanked her profusely, told her she did such a great job and Brooke was very happy with it.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I tried to find some personal tutors, but they always kept leaving or they go find a different job somewhere that paid a bit more. Sylvan was my last-ditch effort to get something for my poor kid. He was behind developmentally, so he wasn’t even really reading. He needed to focus on that and some math, and he's doing great now. He loves the learning experience with his tutor.

There was only one little hiccup where my child didn’t feel he got the help that he needed one day. I talked to Sylvan to see what might have happened that day and it hasn’t been a problem since. Also, Miss Lucy is awesome. She cares. That comes across in every way possible. She does what she needs to, to make sure that my child is getting what he needs and that even the parents stay involved and are informed of everything along the way. She has always been available and worked with me on any concerns that I may or may not have had. I would tell others that they should enroll with Sylvan.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

The Sylvan Learning Centers tutors focused on two subject areas with my children. One was writing and test study skills, and the other was reading. They were able to help my children improve. My son, Albert, is halfway through the grade ahead, which is my goal for him, while the writing of my daughter, Jocelyn, has gotten better, but she has a long way to go. I'd recommend Sylvan. They help fill in the gaps that the school seems to go a little quicker than necessary on certain things due to time constraints and doesn’t really delve into for the child to understand which a child also sometimes does not feel comfortable with. Sylvan is very flexible as well. It is not a big deal when we call up and change the appointment, which is good. Plus, we are not getting charged for changing the schedule, so that is always good.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

We use Sylvan Learning for my son to supplement his education. We tried a lot of options before with the public schools as well as some tutoring with the neighbors and some things that were more inconsistent. They weren't week-to-week and there were more time needed. Because we needed a comprehensive solution, we ended up with Sylvan Learning.

Initially, we did an evaluation with Meghan. Then, we've decided that first of all, my son needed the organizational skill. Then from organization, he could be better at Math and Science. So, we kinda stressed on those three areas. After we got organization under wraps, we then went to Math then Physics. We also worked on his writing and how to get his writing where it should be. The people of Sylvan also teamed up with the teachers at the school. People all had the curriculum on day-to-day, and my son really had to buckle down.

My son's improvements have been incremental. I signed him up a year ago after Thanksgiving and we saw immediate difference in his skills and his organization. We were more eyes on his paperwork and on the way he conducted himself. There were also a lot of people paying attention to how we did it, when he did it and getting it to the point where he was accountable again.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

In my situation in being a single parent, money is limited, and Sylvan Learning was able to work with me. The tutor focused on my son's reading comprehension. Having a dedicated time for my son to practice reading was good. With the constant feedback, I knew the areas where he was the weakest and focused specifically on those. It's been about six months that he's been with Sylvan and he has advanced to two reading levels. Hearing that he's progressing is giving him a little extra confidence with his reading and setting outside of school.

One of the things I noticed was that recently, my son was reading a book at home and I thought I was in a twilight zone. A person would not feel confident to do something if he is not good at it, and because he knows he's getting better with practice, he's wanting to do it more on his own. I totally recommend Sylvan and tell others to give it a try as they have that set time to work on a specific subject. It builds confidence and they can work with any budget.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

My 7-year old daughter likes Sylvan Learning and didn’t like the other one. Right now, she’s being tutored in Math and Science in preparation for the SAT and the ACT. I talked to my kid and she thinks that she’s improving. I know she’s happier and she feels more confident about taking the test. I liked the woman who was the director of our local Mishawaka office and she catered to our needs. I’m optimistic and my experience has gone as well as I could’ve expected without seeing definitive changes in my daughter's test scores. I would recommend Sylvan Learning.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

The top notch teachers at Sylvan have been a life saver! Last year my daughter was having a very hard time with Geometry. To the point that she would break down when her and I would talk about the class. This was because she was convinced that she was not going to be able to pass Geometry no matter what. I’m no different than any other dad. I would take on the world bare hands if would mean that she would be happy again and not cry. So I started doing some research and found an overwhelming amount of positive reviews not just online but also through friends and family who live in this area.

I called on a Friday afternoon. They made an appointment for my daughter for Monday evening. After that first season her whole outlook on Geometry had done a 180. She was happy and most important she was confident that she could do it! Let me tell not only did she do it she finished the course with a high B!! When continued with sessions through the school year and never had anything that even resembled anything negative.

We have just set up for help with Chemistry this year as an insurance policy by the request of my daughter. Yes my 17 year old very active daughter asked me if she could go back to Sylvan to help her learn more studying techniques and other tricks and habits that are just not being taught at her public high school. Yes she amazingly awesome and Sylvan is as well!! If you are looking for a place with people get who love helping kids achieve their goals and grow their intelligence? Look no further. The staff is so nice and so caring you will be blown away and you too will be writing a review like this one!! Thank you Sylvan for stopping the tears and being the reason for happy and confident cheers!!!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I used Sylvan 18 years ago, and now, I'm using it for my grandson. His tutor focuses mainly on reading and it helped him improve in it. My grandson is doing much better. It helped his confidence too. When I did it 18 years ago for my son, we didn’t go long because I really couldn’t afford it. But the few sessions that he got turned him around. And after that, he stayed an honor roll student. So when I thought his son was having trouble, I told him we needed to get him in Sylvan. Everything has been really good. I would recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

My son didn’t do well on his STAR test this part year which was the second year that he didn’t do well. So this summer after we got the result, my husband, who's in the education field mentioned Sylvan Learning Centers. We focused on reading and had our son do an assessment. Then, the first time that we met with someone from Sylvan, she said our son gravitates towards some of the males who have been involved in sports because that’s an interest of my son. This tells me that he's there communicating and developing a relationship and the tutors at Sylvan are getting to know the kid and what he likes.

We also to meet with somebody from Sylvan after every 12 sessions and we get to read comments that they’ve written about our son. So far, our son seems to like them. And although he's only been going for a few weeks, his school has done an assessment on the students to kind of see where they're at reading and we were told that our son reads with confidence and is a really good reader. He also seems to be able to do his schoolwork a little better and comprehend things. I am pretty satisfied with Sylvan and would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

My son liked working with Sylvan more than with his other teachers. His tutor focused mostly on Math with him. How they interacted together and created a relationship on a personal level just inside the time frame that they had helped my son. He had definitely improved because of Sylvan. I'd tell others to check it out.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Sylvan Learning is good for people who have a busy schedule and who need tutoring. Other tutoring options only offer certain times. If you call and talk to somebody at Sylvan for the place you’re going to, they’ll try to make it work for you. They were a lot more willing to meet with my schedule, where I have such a busy schedule with the kids in school and their extracurriculars, and myself in school. The tutor focused on Math and reading and my daughter had a good time. It’s a little long for her sometimes because she does it for two hours. But other than that, she likes it. I am very pleased with the service that we get through Sylvan with both the secretary and the person who has been helping us make all of the accommodations to get my daughter the times that she needs.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I’ve always seen the Sylvan advertisements over the years and I've always had a thought that tutoring was expensive. So I looked it up and got the specifics. The financing with Sylvan is convenient. The transparency was also very straightforward. The issue my child was having was math confidence and through practice, Sylvan helps him more with that. Apart from math, the robotics program has been amazing too. I would tell others to look into Sylvan.

Sylvan Learning Centers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

This company offers personalized tutoring and test prep for students of all levels at locations across the globe. Contact your location for specific details on pricing and payment plan options.

• Sylvan Learning Center locations: Find a Sylvan Learning Center in any state in the U.S. as well as in Canada, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam.

• Sylvan Learning Center prices: Prices are competitive with after-hour activities and tutoring in your area. STEM programs start around $99.

• Unique assessment process compares students to national norms: Students take a test and are observed by tutors prior to beginning service so tutors can pinpoint strengths, weaknesses and ability to pass state exams.

• Offers educational games to help students between sessions: Students can download apps and play educational games to increase their academic skills all week long.

• Online and in person tutoring options: Students with busy schedules can get tutoring at their convenience thanks to the variety of options.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs