4.8/5 (179 ratings)

About Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan Learning Center offers individualized in-person or online educational support to children and their families. Most of its students receive a combination of tutoring, homework assistance and help with college prep and study skills.

Top Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had private tutors before but Sylvan was more structured and more organized… We have them for Math and English. The tutor was able to improve my son's knowledge and gave him sk...

Verified

One of my coworkers told me about Sylvan Learning Centers. So far, the program has been building my son's confidence and is working on comprehending what he is reading. It has bee...

What is Sylvan Learning Center?

Sylvan Learning Center offers test prep, college prep and tutoring courses. Every child’s learning plan with Sylvan is individualized to their needs — Sylvan combines teaching and technology to ensure each child gets the support they need to succeed. It starts by assessing each child to create a personalized plan. Then, tutors start the program, adapting alongside the child as their skills grow.

Families have the option to choose between an online or in-person schedule at one of the many Sylvan Learning Centers across the nation. Online tutoring is live and offers the same benefits as in-person sessions.

Sylvan Learning Center costs

Sylvan offers a variety of affordable and customizable educational programs. Each plan includes convenient scheduling and flexible payment options. All prices are set by local facilities, so costs vary widely. For example, personalized tutoring starts at $44 per hour in Kansas City, Missouri and $57 per hour in Brooklyn, New York.

Its other programs include a hybrid curriculum designed to support in-school learning. Sylvan also offers test prep, tutoring, classes, camps and college prep. These services start at around $50 per hour.

Sylvan Learning Centers FAQ

How much does Sylvan ACT prep cost?
ACT prep costs around $46 per hour, on average. Costs vary depending on location.
Does Sylvan offer financial aid?
Yes. Local Sylvan Learning Centers offer financial aid and scholarships based on financial need. These are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
How much does Sylvan Learning Center cost per month?
Tutoring starts at $44 per hour. Depending on how many sessions you need per month, the cost can vary greatly. Sylvan recommends that children with intensive tutoring needs enroll in two to three tutoring sessions per week.
Is Sylvan Learning Center a good franchise?
Yes. Sylvan is trusted by many families, schools and communities. Many reviewers state they had positive experiences with the company.

Is Sylvan Learning Center worth it?

Sylvan Learning Center is a well-known name in the education industry. With a variety of services and the ability to personalize programs for each student, Sylvan offers a solution for most families in need of educational assistance. Though prices range greatly from location to location, Sylvan typically offers reasonable rates when compared to local tutoring companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: May 8, 2022

My son has been off school for two years because of the COVID and he has been not been performing well at school. I'm divorced and his dad let our son go to school in full time only just March so my son missed many things already. The school planned to have my son repeat 4th grade and I'm okay with it. But my son's confidence was butchered. We've been with Kumon for four years and he hates it so much. It is not for everybody. Every time we went there, they also did the assessment. My son is quite playful and they would say that his level is one notch down. So, they keep on letting my son go back to for example, 2nd grade. They let my son do the 1st grade.

I don't know how the assessment was done at Sylvan but I'm happy that majority of my son’s skills level are at least still in the 4th grade. Though the percentile is low, he's in the right grade. One thing also that my son doesn't like about Kumon is the homework. You can't bring homework during school days because he would have five of them and he has no time with those. So he struggled. But so far, he’s had 11 sessions with Sylvan and he is always looking forward going there every Monday, Tuesday and every other Sunday. He likes Sylvan very much. I told my couple of friends about my son’s situation and they are happy about it. I told them about Sylvan and I forward them the website so they can look into it or pass it on to their family or other friends as well.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 13, 2022

The school is trying to get the kids ready for the STAAR test. The teachers and staff designated the month of April, and they offered Saturday school from 9:00am to 12:00pm for students that had challenges. My scholar, Alicia, fell into that category, and that schedule interfered with her tutoring with Sylvan because we only go in and we're there for an hour. I had to contact her Sylvan instructor. I nor her Sylvan instructor wanted her to miss out on the opportunity.

I didn't want Alicia to lose her seat, but I really wanted her to take advantage of the tutoring as well because I don't want her to be retained. If she doesn't do well on that STAAR test, I don't know if we're gonna make it to the fourth grade. It wouldn't be a big thing for me, considering COVID and all that she missed the last year and a half, but it will be devastating for her. So, we've been doing everything that we can to bring her up to speed.

It's been a seamless process while dealing with Sylvan. I've interacted with the leader and the instructor there from time to time and they're always pleasant. It has been an overall good experience for me. The communication is always open, and I love the idea that we're communicating with one another. They're also patient with Alicia. She's eight, she's in third grade and we're focusing on reading. Kids sometimes thrive in an environment when they're not familiar with the individual. Versus me trying to teach Alicia at home and me taking her so that she can sit with a third party, the third-party interaction has helped out a great deal. Sylvan has helped her to be a lot more confident. She takes her time and sounds the word out.

Original review: March 13, 2022

Sylvan has been wonderful. My first two children struggled with the ACT despite being very good students. I proactively, for my third child, got ahead of the student-issued ACT and enrolled him. What sold me was the ability to have one-on-one guidance for him. Sylvan offered an upfront, free test. They'd score it then they'd give us recommendations specific to my son. That was what I needed. He's had enough remote learning and didn't have to sit in his room on a computer anymore.

The woman who owns the franchise met with us and shared with us the results. She also shared with us the tools that he can use on his own, and the oversight that she can utilize to make sure he's in fact doing what he needs to do. Seeing the tools and that he's got everything for himself to make himself set up for success was nice for the owner to take the time and show us. My son comes twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. He had his school ACT on a Tuesday and I had planned on having him come for his Tuesday night session. She called and said, “Let's give him a break. He’s had enough of the ACTs. I want him to know that I wish him all the best today.” That’s classy.

This most recent test is not scored yet but we took the baseline test before we even signed up. Then we did another test at Sylvan prior to the school-issued test and my son went up several points. His score went up substantially in reading. It was six points but it raised his overall score by two. That is awesome to be able to move two points overall. His confidence has improved and he's in a much better place because of their services. For a kid who'd much rather do anything other than study for the ACT, this has not been miserable. He's walked out of that building several times saying, “I learned something.” His experience is not dreadful. He realizes this is going to help him, not only for the ACT, but for college as well. Thank you to Sylvan for what they've done to my child.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I used Varsity Tutors before and I prepaid there. When my granddaughter took the class, they wouldn't refund me any of the money, even though I could have chosen to pay less when I signed up. But I thought it was gonna be a continuing thing. One of my granddaughter's A's dropped to a B, and it was stressing her out. She needed help and she didn't get it from them, so she ended up getting a B in the class, and she wasn't very happy with that. I didn't deal with them anymore.

Sylvan is more of an in-person. It's not online. My granddaughters drive up there. They're both A students and they were trying to get in the best college they could and wanted to know if the SAT training would help. I sent an email to Sylvan and they were quick to respond. I told them that I wanna pay for it and set up a payment thing and I’ll leave it up to my grandkids to set up their times. The lady called them directly and set it all up, so it was minimal interaction for me, which is what I wanted. The instructor picked out weak points in the SAT from the initial SAT test, and he's focusing on those. They’re really happy with it so far.

Another thing is Varsity Tutors just goes out and finds people that they could be college students, retired teachers, or anybody that wants to do tutoring. Whereas the people at Sylvan hire only certified teachers and better quality, not just anybody that decides to hang up a tutoring shingle. Overall, I'm completely satisfied. If somebody wanted to sign their kid up for SAT training or any kind of tutor, I would send them to Sylvan and not even consider Varsity Tutors.

Original review: July 5, 2021

I've been living in this neighborhood forever and I know when Sylvan first opened up. I've known about Sylvan for about 20 years. They've always had a great reputation of doing a great job with children, and I found out for myself too. My grandson, since the pandemic 2020, started having some issues with learning and with grades that had gone down. He's just a first grader. We know the tenacity, his level of maturity and we know certain things that he should be knowing and he was having some difficulty. So, immediately, I told his mom, "Look, we got to do what we got to do and I need for him to get Sylvan. And me and granddad are going to pay for it to get him the best." I know they are the best, so that's where I needed him to be.

We found out our grandson's glasses had played a part in it as well, but he just couldn't seem to get a grasp on what he was reading. His comprehension and confidence were a little low. Sylvan turned that around within weeks. That's what's so amazing about them. My grandson went from D to making the honor roll at the end of the school year. I will be using Sylvan forever. They worked with me with the payments, and from payments to adjusting his schedule when he needed to go from being there to virtual. They didn't recommend it but they allowed him to do it because they really wanted to help him, and that means so much. When the need arises again, we'll be back at Sylvan.

Original review: June 15, 2022

My child did well with her ACT prep. She enjoyed the experience. I would definitely recommend Sylvan Learning.

Original review: June 8, 2022

Sylvan said my son is good. But we are not happy about the progress. We didn’t see a big progress. We led them to focus on reading and writing. But I've never seen that he's writing in the class. Everything is in the computer, like rhymes. It said he’s reading, but I have never seen that in the writing. We are planning to change. Because we are paying a lot of money, but my son is not that happy. He said he's not learning that much. Sylvan doesn’t focus into his weaknesses. I thought they would do an assessment and attention based on the results. Apparently, they don't do that. He's working with me and his dad. Plus, his class teacher is helping him a lot. We already paid $3,000, up close to $50 per hour. But we have still more hours.

Original review: June 7, 2022

We're doing mainly reading and writing. It has been great. I would highly recommend Sylvan.

Original review: June 6, 2022

Sylvan was closer to the house. My child went for ACT preparation and it was great. Her score went up a lot. I communicated with Rachel via email or phone and in-person. She's in charge of the office. It was great.

Original review: June 5, 2022

My daughter went with Sylvan for reading comprehension and math, and it was a good experience. She needed help with geometry. They stayed focused on the different levels of algebra to get to geometry. At one time, they had people who weren't focused on it so I talked to the acting lead people, and they said that they would make sure only people that would address her would be those who knew geometry. This one person didn't know geometry. Overall, Sylvan is good. They will help your child improve in whatever subject they need to be improved in.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information