2. Education
  3. Tutoring

4.9/5 (237 ratings)

About Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan Learning Center offers individualized in-person or online educational support to children and their families. Most of its students receive a combination of tutoring, homework assistance and help with college prep and study skills.

Top Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had private tutors before but Sylvan was more structured and more organized… We have them for Math and English. The tutor was able to improve my son's knowledge and gave him sk...

Verified

One of my coworkers told me about Sylvan Learning Centers. So far, the program has been building my son's confidence and is working on comprehending what he is reading. It has bee...

What is Sylvan Learning Center?

Sylvan Learning Center offers test prep, college prep and tutoring courses. Every child’s learning plan with Sylvan is individualized to their needs — Sylvan combines teaching and technology to ensure each child gets the support they need to succeed. It starts by assessing each child to create a personalized plan. Then, tutors start the program, adapting alongside the child as their skills grow.

Families have the option to choose between an online or in-person schedule at one of the many Sylvan Learning Centers across the nation. Online tutoring is live and offers the same benefits as in-person sessions.

Sylvan Learning Center costs

Sylvan offers a variety of affordable and customizable educational programs. Each plan includes convenient scheduling and flexible payment options. All prices are set by local facilities, so costs vary widely. For example, personalized tutoring starts at $44 per hour in Kansas City, Missouri and $57 per hour in Brooklyn, New York.

Its other programs include a hybrid curriculum designed to support in-school learning. Sylvan also offers test prep, tutoring, classes, camps and college prep. These services start at around $50 per hour.

Sylvan Learning Centers FAQ

How much does Sylvan ACT prep cost?
ACT prep costs around $46 per hour, on average. Costs vary depending on location.
Does Sylvan offer financial aid?
Yes. Local Sylvan Learning Centers offer financial aid and scholarships based on financial need. These are granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
How much does Sylvan Learning Center cost per month?
Tutoring starts at $44 per hour. Depending on how many sessions you need per month, the cost can vary greatly. Sylvan recommends that children with intensive tutoring needs enroll in two to three tutoring sessions per week.
Is Sylvan Learning Center a good franchise?
Yes. Sylvan is trusted by many families, schools and communities. Many reviewers state they had positive experiences with the company.

Is Sylvan Learning Center worth it?

Sylvan Learning Center is a well-known name in the education industry. With a variety of services and the ability to personalize programs for each student, Sylvan offers a solution for most families in need of educational assistance. Though prices range greatly from location to location, Sylvan typically offers reasonable rates when compared to local tutoring companies.

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: April 20, 2021

The lady who works with my daughter is good about communicating. She's good about checking our email so if I ever send anything to her, she gets it quickly and responds quickly too. My daughter likes working with her and I love that the time schedule is so flexible. My daughter’s focus is on psychology and study skills. Her grade has improved in Psychology. It is an AP class and it’s very difficult. She’s only in tenth grade and it’s college level material. She's very capable because she always has been and she's always been very disciplined and mature for her age. But that maturity has slowed down a whole lot and she wasn't applying herself. Also, there’s a boyfriend involved now. He’s a good kid and I try to remind myself that I was a teenager once too. So, I know that it's a phase she's going through. But I got to the point where I have to do something to help her.

I had always heard good things about Sylvan so I checked into it and liked it. So it's been a good experience. My daughter's a little easygoing, friendly and very social. But still, she's 15 and for many teenagers, when their parents are the ones that sought out tutoring because they were unhappy with their grades, sometimes they don’t have the best attitude about it from the very beginning. And that has meant everything to me that she likes working with her. So that's a positive. The tutor has been good with her.

The only issue I've had is that there's one girl that works in Sylvan that if she were to be assigned as my daughter's tutor, I would have turned it down. One day, she was in charge while the director was doing something with another student and she didn't know what she was doing as well as what I was doing there. It was an awkward experience. I did tell Sylvan about it and they probably talked to her about it. Whoever I had been texting when I first started looking into it was super nice. She passed it on to the director of our local center. She emailed me a response and I appreciated that. Because a lot of times, you express something and you never hear back from anybody. She said that it would be addressed and that the girl was not usually like that. It's been a good experience for us with Sylvan and I'm a teacher, so I would recommend it to fellow students and fellow moms who might need that.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2021

My kids were failing in school during virtual learning because they were not getting the proper time on the computer. They were backward from the time that they got out of school and never progressed. One of my kids was having a problem and she couldn't go to tutoring because of the pandemic. That's when I started looking into tutoring. I saw that Sylvan was doing the tutoring in person. I wanted that because my kids are better in person than on the computer.

I got my kids on to there and testing was done. The testing point of what I know where my kids stopped was what they told me. They gotta be doing something correct because how would they know the same thing that I knew? I signed up the kids for the program after they did their testing and I've been liking it ever since. My kids are excited about what they learn and they tell me about them. I'm seeing progress. I'm seeing more confidence in them and in what they are doing.

The focus of their learning is on English and language. With math, you can pick it up if you know how to read and you know how to concentrate. But when it comes to reading, if you don't know how to pronounce and sound out some words, you're not gonna get anywhere. The tutors are doing a great job. Communication and everything is the key and that's what they're doing. The communication level is at 100 to me. They communicate with me about anything and I can go in there. There's a lady named Ana and when she's there and I have any questions, she would talk to me. When I had to change my days and times, she was right on it with a snap of a finger. She handled it as fast as she could and I like that.

My kids' friends and parents would be talking to me and telling me that their kid is struggling. I always tell them, "Even if you don't continue with the program, go to Sylvan and do the assessment test. And at least, they'll tell you the levels and then you say if you like it or not." The only thing I wish Sylvan had was a discount level. I have two kids going there.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

With the coronavirus and all that stuff that's been going on with my son in school, there was a decline in some of his reading. He's in first grade, so this is kind of their foundation being set up. So I was looking into who were still open and available for help, and Sylvan was one of the options that was nearby, and that I had seen over the course of years, like even from when I was in school. When I'm thinking of tutoring or help for a child, I would look for somebody that has longevity like Sylvan versus other word of mouth places that I've heard.

My son noticed that he wasn't thriving as much as he was prior to school, letting out the previous year. His excitement for learning picked back up since he started with Sylvan, and so that was enough for me to be happy with the progress. Also, they get a lot of reading tests in first grade and his scores have gone up. So I know that he's getting what he needs to get from them, even if it's just for his little two days out of the week with that. I've also noticed that they're reinforcing what we already do at home.

Some teachers are more kind of passive than others when it comes to getting the children to do it correctly. It may just be a difference of they don't really know how a child was gonna respond to them pushing the envelope every now and then, because they don't have the same relationship I have as his mom. They should make sure that they're pushing the child every time, even if they have to give a little encouragement along the way, and making sure that the child is really understanding what is going on and making use of the time that they are there because we pay by the hour. If you got a child that’s sitting and they're struggling in the beginning, it is not okay to just let that slide by in an hour because that's time that they do need to be using to focus on actually building the skills that they're going there for.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

I was looking online for tutoring services and there were two places that I inquired. I asked on their website to give me more information and of the two places, Sylvan replied first. They called me literally the next day, and I was blown away by how quick their response was. Even their availability to make an appointment for the assessment was really quick. We set up an assessment pretty much the next day. At the assessment, the director showed me what the price options were for the packages. I like that they had the prepaid sessions. We signed up for the prepaid 60-session. Also, they were willing to work with me on dividing up the payment. So, we set up on a four-month plan. They were very flexible with me, which I appreciate.

They told me, “If anything happens and you need to change your payment plan, if you need to change the amount, the month we complete this, or even if you guys need to end tutoring to her, we’re very negotiable and flexible about that.” So I really appreciated that. I love the fact that the environment was very welcoming. My son felt comfortable right away. The director brings her dog to work. His name is Buddy, and he is super calm. He’s the calmest dog I've ever met. He’s perfect for the environment. He is well-trained. My son has anxiety. So, for him feeling super-comfortable because he saw the dog, he was able to make a connection with the director. They look forward to tutoring because of that.

I love the classes they have, the stuff in-store, and the token system. The tutor pretty much started from the basics, like reviewing all the special sounds, the three-letter words, and basically getting that foundation mastered for my son to feel more comfortable and moving on to next words, and special blends. I'm just surprised. How do they get kids focused in one hour to get all this accomplished? They do homework, flashcards, and a little bit of tablet time. So, I'm really happy that we did Sylvan. The location is very convenient for us. I'm definitely supportive of this program.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Sylvan was specifically offered as a contractor that my employer was utilizing for the purpose of having their employees have access to student tutoring to assist with work-at-home stuff. My job essentially paid for the tutoring sessions up to a certain threshold, and then I was initially gonna cover the rest, but I didn't go past the first month. We did their homework help program because my daughter's in first grade, and she's got a bunch of things that need to be finished by the end of every day. And because I work from home until five o'clock, I'm not always free to help her concentrate on that stuff, and so I was taking her in there to drop her off. They had a list of the work she needed done. The person there would help her get all her work done. When I picked her up, her work would be finished, and so we could finish up for the day and go home.

Their health and safety stuff is really good. Everyone gets their temperature taken before going in. However, it was not clearly stated that the parents weren't supposed to go into the building. My daughter's six and it was unnerving at first to just let her off in the parking lot and have her run into the building on her own. I went in and there weren’t any signs saying adults need to wait downstairs. I get this is their policy to minimize exposure, but I guess the way they want it to work is that you send the kids in, the kids get their temperature taken, and when they go upstairs, there's plexiglass dividers between all the workstations. I thought it could be communicated a little bit better. In the end, it worked out fine for letting her off in the parking lot, and I would walk her to the entrance.

For us, the program wasn't that flexible and we ended up canceling or not going there anymore. We didn't have a lot of options for exactly the kind of help our daughter needed. The only thing that was available to us was the homework help. Then the availability for sessions for homework help is limited because their attendance rate is low, and so they don't have enough teachers to cover having more homework slots. I could have chosen between a morning session and an afternoon session. In the end, not enough people were participating in the morning session for them to keep it open so it was only afternoon session that was available for us.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Michelle,

We understand your frustration and are so sorry you feel this way. We are sending you a direct message now so we can help resolve this!

Original review: July 22, 2021

They're focusing on reading and sight words with my child and the practice that they've been doing and having my daughter read out loud helped a lot. Also, the reward system is great. It motivates the children and my daughter loves it. Sylvan is worth the money.

Original review: July 14, 2021

My child loves Sylvan. She's doing Math and Reading with them. She almost doubled her score from the beginning of the year after she started with Sylvan in both Reading and Math. I highly recommend Sylvan and your child would probably enjoy it.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Our child has some learning issues and she does a lot better one on one. She now has a lot more confidence in reading and she's doing great with it and sounding out words, whereas before she wouldn't try or she just felt like she couldn't do it and so she just didn't. Sylvan has done a great job of not only building confidence, but also filling up the holes that were potentially there. It's definitely opened up her brain in different parts that we were struggling with too.

When I pick her up, they’ve been great about holding her until they know I'm there, and then they'll walk her out. It makes me feel as comfortable as possible. They've also been able to communicate how she's doing in a way that I understand because I can see changes at home. I'm also concerned about the school next year, if we move on or if we repeat, and they've been helpful about knowing how to say it to me the correct way so then I know how to make an informed decision. It is expensive, but you get what you pay for. In this day and age, you need your child to have as much confidence as possible. If you don't build that at a young age, then they’ll get to middle school and they'll just start dwindling. Sylvan has been a godsend and the people there are kind and really sweet.

Original review: July 10, 2021

My child loves Sylvan and I love the follow up and the reports every month showing his progress. And throughout the month, the director calls and make sure everything is good. My son’s reading level was about third grade and now, he’s closer to fifth grade. So, it’s wonderful. He has more confidence and he’s excited to start school this year to apply some of the things he has learned. The cost is competitive in the market but Sylvan offers more, so that justifies the price. They break it down and there's the 3:1 ratio, which was very important, especially for my kids. People should go for Sylvan. It’s life changing.

Original review: July 9, 2021

My son’s grades are ugly but we’ve seen a big improvement in reading when we signed him up with Sylvan. He is more confident and now, he reads out loud everything he sees. It doesn’t matter if it’s letters so it’s great. We pulled up to the pharmacy and he was reading the sign, “COVID Vaccine.”

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information