3.9/5 (482 ratings)

Find Tutoring partners near you

About Chegg.com

Find Tutoring partners near you

Chegg.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chegg.com?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

I initially joined Chegg for homework help for a Accounting Math class. I used the service on the laptop. I tried to use it at work but was told I was not able to since it was a shared device. I then used only my laptop. Today, I was sent an email accusing my of using many devices and that they were going to suspend my account. I immediately cancelled this subscription. If I could have given them 0 stars I would have. Horrible customer service.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

After one week of use, my account was suspended on "suspicion of being a shared account". I'm the only user. It took 3 days for Chegg to unlock my account. I never received a clear explanation from customer service, but their agents indicated any of the following can get an account flagged as "shared" and suspended:

-using a different browser or operating system
    -using a different WiFi access point, point-of-presence, or IP address
    -having more than 1 tab open at a time
    -using a VPN or ANY privacy plugins
    -studying for more than one class, topic or textbook

-clearing cookies. Ever.

Chegg.com does not mention any of these restrictions during account creation. If they had, I never would have paid for a subscription; these limitations make the service almost unusable from a mobile device. Even after adhering to those guidelines, my account was suspended again after another week. I don't know if Chegg.com suffers from technical incompetence, or if they're deliberately limiting usage. I do know that after paying for a month of service, I've had less than 2 weeks of access and hours of wasted time.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2020

Continuously get locked out of my account although I am the sole user. Their tracking system now locks users out for having too many tabs open, claiming a breach of their sharing policy. What was a good site last year has become a a pain in the backside. My account has been suspended 3 times for no reason, often during timed assignments. If I could give less stars I would.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

Chegg fraudulently added a subscription to my order. They hung up on me 3 times when I tried to resolve it. Finally, a person recorded my complaint but did not honor their commitment to reimbursing me.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I returned a rented textbook May or June 2020c, they charged me a late fee because they never scanned it in. Queue, I reached out and told them I returned it on time, they checked and said I did return it and that they never checked it back in properly on their end (I have Facebook Messages to prove this) and then they refunded my money. However, a month after this incident, they are doing it again and charging me even more for the same book that has been in their possession for nearly 6 months. I am on hold with customer service and have been for 30 minutes now. No given wait time and I am beyond frustrated with them for doing this yet again, for the same book!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I have had a Chegg account for the last 3 months and every time I try to use the service it brings up a DEVICE LIMIT screen which blocks the ability to use the service. I am paying a monthly subscription fee but feel like it is a total scam. I have spoken to a live chat rep every day this week and the only solution to my problem is they offer me a free device swap but they never fix the problem, for being located in Silicon Valley they are probably the worst IT department out of any company I have ever dealt with. I feel like this is a complete scam and a rip-off. I wish I could take them to court for all the back pay I have paid them for a service that NEVER works as promised.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I have been trying to access textbook solutions for a month now. It keeps telling me that my device is not registered and I have to swap it. Well, I swapped it a few times but it's still the same. I asked for help from Chegg but then when I log back in it's the same problem all over again. I feel like wasting my money. It's not helpful if I'm not able to access it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

My daughter used this service in college. After she graduated, we received a renewal charge for services in advance. We canceled, and they have continued to charge us annually. The credit card company says they are unable to cancel due to the terms of their merchant agreement. Be very careful doing business with this company. They push fraudulent subscription charges through on your credit card for several years and apparently can get away with it.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

This company is fraudulent!!! Please stay away, I've had account with them for one year and decided to close the account when school finished 6 months ago for me. It wasn't until recently that I noticed several charges on my account. Over 30 dollars for a book I never purchased obviously 'cause I closed my account and don't even go to school! I will be reporting this fraudulent activity and letting every student in my class know about this ridiculousness, they can't get students to sign up so they charge them. LOL. Not on my watch!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2020

Bad customer service. Can't reach them at all. No live chat, no response in social media, Waited for 1 hour for password setup email. Never appeared. They need to be responsive, because students are writng to write papers.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

Last year when I was a freshman in college I used Chegg and had a good experience, so I was looking forward to using them this year, but my experience with them so far has been absolutely annoying and aggravating, and I will never use them again. I ordered my books early this year, and although my old debit was on file on my account, I entered my new one before confirming my order. A week and a half past, and I still hadn't received my order. At the time, I assumed shipping was going to be slow because of Covid, but then days began to past and I still haven't received an order, and the tracking was not updated. Although they refunded my shipping, I still needed my books.

I went back and checked my order, just to realize that the order was put under my OLD debit card. My order was still awaiting shipment. I understand this could've been more of my mistake, however I know I gave them my new debit card, so it's annoying how they were using my old card on the order, which obviously wouldn't work. And then they neglected to tell me earlier that there was a payment problem.

I wish that that was my last complaint with them. But, after canceling my order, I went back and reordered my books, making sure they were put on my new card. About a week after I finally got my books, they sent them AGAIN and have changed me twice for the books. Extremely frustrating and annoying, especially since I pay for my books and school by myself.

Lastly, I found out yesterday that they want to charge me for a communications book I returned in MARCH. I have already emailed customer service and told them I returned the book, so hopefully that problem will be taken care of. I feel like chegg has gotten worse this school year. Customer service is awful, and takes forever to get through to get help. College students already have enough stress, especially this year with the pandemic, the unprofessionalism and disorganization of this TEXTBOOK company unfortunately has just been adding more.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I have been trying to access this site for two hours. Ever since Chegg's greedy device tracking system was installed, I've had nothing but issues. Tonight I spent 2 hours online with Customer service after 3 calls and no RESOLUTION. Every time I log in I receive a pop up box that states I have reached my maximum devices. I use one computer and one computer only! Customer support walked me through some steps that they said would resolve a bug on my account but after following the steps 4 times, I still receive a pop up box that states my account is restricted or that I have reached my maximum devices. They have issued a trouble ticket. I will post again when I receive a response from Chegg. Tracking system with their new account states only two devices. I have the same two devices on my account. I.e. the same computer twice. Looks like a software roll out with a lot of bugs to me.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

With the experience I've had lately, I am done with renting books from Chegg. I have been renting from Chegg since I first started college and have never had a problem until now, but it’s been bad enough that I know I don’t want to go through this ever again. First, I rented a used textbook for $50 that came horribly damaged, with the pages not even attached to the binding, and some pages completely loose. If I’m paying $50 for a book, it better be in good condition. I was told I would be sent a new book. That order was canceled, and I am now stuck with probably one of the most beat-up books I've ever seen. I sent an email asking if they would be getting any more copies in and never received a response.

Then, less than a week later, I got an email about a book I had rented last semester that needed to be returned. The book had already been returned three weeks prior, and I had received an email acknowledging that they knew so. I sat in a queue for over an hour waiting for someone to talk to. When I explained my situation, I was told (word-for-word), “It looks like your books have been delivered to our warehouse on 8/24/2020 and I have taken care of that for you. You’ll notice in your account that it states “reported missing”. Don’t worry about that status, you’re all set!”

I was not “all set”. This morning I received yet another email, this time telling me that my book still hasn’t been returned and that if it isn’t returned by four days from now, I’m going to be charged $166. I called Chegg customer support, and luckily this time, I did not have to wait. I told them about the email I had received this morning and about the previous conversation with customer support from just a few days ago. They pretty much repeated to me the same thing that the other person said. I said, “This is the same thing I was told last time. How do I know I’m not going to be charged?” “Well, if you are charged, we can easily refund it.” Not good enough. They then went on to say, “It’s probably a glitch in the system.” Awfully expensive glitch! And a glitch that I was told had already been taken care of at that!

I’m already expecting to be charged the $166. I have no faith that anyone from Chegg is actually going to try to solve this “glitch”. I will call, get the money refunded, and then I will take my business elsewhere in the future. I am not a hard person to please, but never in my life have I ever had service this terrible. Amazon will be receiving my business from now on.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Do not use Chegg if you ever want to drop the class. You won't get your money back, even if you don't touch the book. I tried to return the book and was put on hold for 30 minutes and then told no refund. Don't use Chegg.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

This has been a really bad experience. They do not keep in touch with you. I all of the sudden saw a charge of over $200 on my credit card. I called and was told that as long as I returned the books my account would be credited in full. That was over 6 weeks ago. I sent an email 3 weeks ago and never heard back. I am currently on hold for over an hour waiting to find out where my refund is and why it's taking so long. I will be calling my credit card company and making a complaint.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

Facts. Ordered Ebooks not available on site. Account says I have no orders or Ebooks. Chat person hung up on me. Called twice waited two hours finally got someone who said they weren't sure and were looking then got hung up on. Checked my payment and it went through.

Original review: July 31, 2020

First of all, I will state that I only uses the solution department for Chegg and I only ask question about calculus class. So, my experiences may differ from everyone else who also uses the solution part for chegg. Ok so let's get this straight, I can say that 80% of the solution that chegg provides about a hard calculus question is partially wrong. The good thing is, the answer is usually already provides a good first step about the question you asked.

But after that, the final answer is somehow become wrong. Which could happen because most of the people that answer your question either just changed some of the number or even add a random number in between the steps to make the question faster and easier to finish, which obviously resulting in a wrong answer. In the end, DON'T rely to much with chegg solution for calculus if you didn't understand anything about the material of the question you asked. As you may not notice that the answer is actually wrong, or you will end up with a bad grade just like me.

Original review: July 25, 2020

I graduated in 2014. I just discovered I have been paying for EasyBib (a paid citation service) since July 2018, to the tune of $9.95 a month. It's now July 2020. Neither of the two reps I spoke with were willing to give me the contact information listed on "my" account, its a secret. This is fraud, I never signed up for this service. MS Word does it for free, why would I pay Chegg?

Chegg offered a credit for one month. 24 months at $9.95. I get that it's my fault for not catching it sooner, but one month? I asked how many citations were saved/used, he said none. How much activity was noted on the account overall? "Ohh no, that's a secret." I guess if your company is criminal at heart, this would be a pretty good scam. Keep credit cards that had been used once or twice over the last 10 years then open a fake account and use the info from the card to pay.

Chegg stated the subscription had been cancelled as of today. No cancellation number so I guess that remains to be seen. I mean, how can I cancel a paid subscription when I could not verify any of the account information? Side Note: In 2016 Chegg stock was around $8.00 a share, today, July 2020 $73.42. Since Covid is taking over how a student will attend school, I can see that stock climbing. Only problem is the center of this stock is rotten, wormy and foul. B E W A R E O F C H E G G.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I purchased a subscription to Chegg Study. I use the subscription at home, on my laptop, phone, and at work. As a result, Chegg falsely identified my account as a "shared" account and suspended my subscription. When I called to explain my situation, they told me there was nothing they could do. I would have to wait 48 hours to see if they were going to unsuspend my account. When I asked to speak to someone who could unlock my account, I was told that there was no one. This is a very poor customer experience. If anyone utilizes this service from multiple devices, be aware they will falsely accuse you of sharing an account so they can bill you for an additional account. This is clearly fraud.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I mean, seriously, I understand it's COVID19 and your guys have to charge me the monthly access fees to prevent yourself from bankrupt despite I did not even sign in to used it after May 2020. It's a pretty smart move. So I have to give you credit for that. Do it legally for one month then start to charge me the fees despite I cancel the subscription. Alright, you got my 15 dollar this time. I cancel my subscription again. Don't you dare charge me the next time or I will ** your customer service.

Original review: July 3, 2020

I was informed there was a breach of information, signed to join a class action lawsuit and they decided to close my account, take away access to my online rented book halfway through my course, refuse me a refund, and not answer any questions beyond directing me to a the lawyer for a lawsuit. What a way to do business. All while never giving me warning of what was about to happen. NEVER using them again!

Original review: June 24, 2020

Chegg is itself a cheating website. They have all the useful textbook solutions but of course, other than the textbook solutions, every other question that we post related to college comes under cheating because it is the college's property. Chegg helps students with cheating and colleges in an academic integrity investigation. Why would Chegg accept questions in the first place and later help professors? And they claim that they can give any personal information which is against a person's privacy. They either should have strict rules of what to post and delete the questions that look like college's property or it should be banned.

Original review: June 19, 2020

My daughter signed up for the subscription service which was really a waste of time. We cancelled the service 2 months later but they kept charging us. Even though I had changed my credit card number, the charges from Chegg still went through. I called and they would only refund me the last few months and not the entire 9 month period she had not used the service even though they could confirm she had not logged in for 9 months. Make sure if you dare sign up for their service that you watch your credit card and have your credit card company block them after you cancel.

Original review: June 14, 2020

I got the monthly subscription service for my son who is in college and he can barely use it because it is constantly suspended for "suspicious activity". So it ends up being $14.95/mo for nothing. My advice...Don't waste your money unless you only have one device and are planning to use it in the same location all the time. My son goes back and forth between his college dorm and home and like most college students has multiple devices (2-laptops, iPad, iPhone), and our home computer. Especially now with the COVID-19 pandemic and classes are all online he has been coming home more.

I tried explaining this to the representative and they wouldn't do anything. They refused to reactivate the account (despite the fact I am PAYING for the service) and they wouldn't cancel it over the phone or refund me my monthly subscription fee. What am I paying for if my son can't even use the account when he needs it. Their policy is absurd. He is not "sharing" his account but to think someone will only use one device in the same location all the time is unreasonable. My advice...Don't bother getting the subscription...You'll never have access to use it.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Chegg tutors answered my call in less than 3 minutes holding, granted I happened to be calling as soon as their office opened so the line was likely shorter than usual. Once I got on the phone I explained the billing issue I had experienced and the representative did not hesitate to offer me a full refund and credit to my account. Overall, it was a customer service experience on the tier of Amazon.

Original review: May 20, 2020

I was using Chegg for a long time now. But they suspended my account time to time saying that my account was shared used account. I changed the password and protected it without anyone knowing it. Even after that they keep suspending my account saying different stories like I have used so many tabs, I haven't logged out properly so and so. Then I thought ok it might be my fault and I kept a keen eye on everything and did everything as they said. Then they suspended my account as soon as logged in without me doing anything. I just had time to log into my account only.

The next thing happened was I got a email saying that my account was suspended. I don't know why they do this to people. And this is my education they are ruining. There's no way to talk to them either. I tried to calling their number in America while I'm in Australia without thinking of the cost. But even that number didn't work. I paid for the upcoming month 4 days ago. Even I can't get my money back now. Poor service. I won't ever recommend this site to anyone.

Original review: May 18, 2020

Stole over 100 dollars from me. Con artists. Be careful, customer service promised a return for an incorrect debits that should have never happened. Then never returned the money. All of this happened in the middle of covid-19 when everyone was struggling. Absolutely ruthless, I think most the reviews on here are fake or provided by bots from Chegg.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Just wanted to check a few answers but couldn’t get onto site! What the hell am I paying for?? Bastards really screwed me up. Also often answers are incorrect and it’s tough getting credit for them! I’m demanding reimbursement for a month after this evenings inability to even access site!!

Original review: May 8, 2020

My daughter had a Chegg account for studying and the account was "flagged" for sharing and shut down. It has been down for a few days. They will not refund money for account being down, nor will they do anything over the phone. They are rude, hard to understand and crooks if you ask me. Terrible customer service.

Original review: May 1, 2020

Updated on 05/02/2020: This company helped us tremendously with our book rental issue. Refunded our money and was very kind and supportive. I highly recommend them to all and will continue to use their service. God Bless!

Original: My son rented a book and was late with the return. Chegg charged us $310.71. When I tried to return the book, they would not take it nor issue any credits or refunds. THEY TOLD ME TO SELL IT ON AMAZON. Worst customer service I have ever dealt with! Had to wait for 40 minutes to speak to someone. STAY AWAY!

Chegg.com Company Information