2. Education
  3. Tutoring

1.8/5 (24 ratings)

About Tutor Doctor

Tutor Doctor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tutor Doctor?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tutor Doctor ?

Original review: April 22, 2021

I hired Tutor Doctor to tutor my son, I was told I had to pay all the fee upfront so I did so, later in the year my branch closed, not only was I not informed of the closer but they keep my unused portion of my tutoring fee because I was told they do not give refunds, so I lost quite a bit of money, I would not recommend this company at all. Very disappointed.

Original review: April 3, 2021

We contacted Tutor Doctor, hoping that they could find a suitable tutor to support our 7 year old daughter. We were told that 48 hours of tutoring at a cost of £2,880 would need to be paid upfront before our daughter could even be introduced to a tutor. Their exact words were "We don’t offer that option of doing a shorter period, unfortunately. It will need to be a minimum of 48 hours upfront. We do accept credit card payments, so that’s an option if it makes it more manageable." We would strongly recommend not using Tutor Doctor.

Tutor Doctor response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback Narindar. We are sorry to hear that your experience with Tutor Doctor was not positive.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

After my experience with this company, I decided to write this review so that others will know what to expect before they sign a contract with them. I sent the office manager of the mentioned company a detailed and thorough email, outlining my needs. She told me that she will find me a match, then move forward. She did locate someone who told her that he is 100% comfortable teaching me the materials I sent.

In the first session, the tutor was very good. However, the second session was disappointing. He was distracted and failed to prepare for several math problems. He skipped a few math problems because he wasn't prepared /ready. I raised my concern with the manager, then we agreed that I would send again the materials that I need help with, and the tutor should state that he is 100% comfortable teaching me these materials. However, after we agreed on that he sent me his plan, which included some math problems that I did not ask for, and other math problems we already covered.

I had to ask for a refund after getting tired of explaining myself to them, which left me stressed and overwhelmed. I lost almost 300 dollars as they calculated the highest hourly rate for me at 75 $ instead of 65 $, and I had to pay 150$ cancellation fee. In summary,  It is okay for this company to charge $300 to a client who cancels the contract due to the company's fault. You need to think 100 times before signing a contract if you are looking for middle school and high school tutoring because there are 100 other tutoring companies that offer much better customer service, much better tutors, and much better rates. It is not fair that someone takes 300$ from you for canceling a poor service he/she provides. Please, think before you sign a contract with them.

Tutor Doctor response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback Phoebe. We are sorry to hear that your experience with Tutor Doctor was not positive. We truly pride ourselves in our tutor-matching process and this is a case where finding a new tutor might have been beneficial to your tutoring journey.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Very bad experience. I’m a single mom looking for tutors to find for my children, Joseph came to my house, totally mislead me with the forms never mentioned that I’m signing a contract, he mislead and hide never mentioned about any cancellations fee or registration. I only use the tutor for 2 hours, he told me the tutors had masters and bachelors degree and have goals and education plans selling services with false and information. And I paid for 2 hours $500.00. I’m trying to fight this in legal way and hopefully other people learn before they get scammed, I wish I read these reviews before.

Tutor Doctor response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback Mastoora. We are sorry to hear that your experience with Tutor Doctor was not positive. We would love to be able to discuss further with you, so if you would kindly email brandstandards@tutordoctor.com with more details and one of our team members will be available to help.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

By far the best tutoring company we have used. We are in Tampa, FL. I am in the education field myself and the program and system that is used is top of the line. The best part is that you have a tutor coordinator that works with you to ensure the optimal experience. I have 3 kids and all 3 have seen huge results in math and english. My eldest also used for ACT prep. We have been with them for 5 years and really love how easy it is and the personalized approach is great.

Tutor Doctor response

Wow! What a great review! We are so happy to hear that you loved your experience with Tutor Doctor.

Original review: June 17, 2020

This tutoring company is definitely not worth a penny. I have had horrible experiences only from the time we signed up. 1. Paid in October 2019 did not get a teacher assigned until end of December. 2. The 1st teacher had zero patience. 3. Asked for a change had to wait 3 weeks before another one to be assigned. 4. This new teacher kept canceling classes for almost a month. 5. When the tutoring coordintaor was told regarding this, she said it's our duty to let them as since that's how their infrastructure works. For billing me I don't have to let them know but if a teacher is away for a month cancelling last min then I have to bring it to their attn, great. They never bother to get a substitute teacher if the one assigned to u is away. 6. They have not yet assigned a new teacher its been over 3 weeks since I informed them. DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER.

Tutor Doctor response

We’re sorry your experience with Tutor Doctor was less than exceptional. Normally we offer exceptional service all around.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

We hired this company to provide tutoring to our son and ended up with three duds out of four. When we had finally had enough we asked that the sessions we had pre-paid for be refunded but they said no because their contract only lets them back out. I reluctantly agreed to another tutor and haven’t heard from them in almost two months!!! They have almost $1000 of our money with no services provided. Don’t use these people.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Be aware of this people, not professional, first appointment no call no show, when I call to check the lady put me on hold. She tried to call the teacher who supposedly coming to the appointment but she got no answer. She said he maybe driving. I told her, "You mean sleeping" and I cancel with them, I was saved.

Tutor Doctor response

Hi Nabil, We're very sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the standards we'd like to hold ourselves to.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I called a number with an automated answering machine and didn't receive a call back for 5 hours. The young lady who never gave her name just said she was returning a call was TOTALLY unprofessional. It is finals season, and I have met with many tutors over the past months but this service told me straight away I had to BUY 12 sessions first in order to start. BEWARE.... Go with Tutorfly. They are the BEST!!!! She curt, unprofessional and not polite. DO NOT RECOMMEND!!! Called from number **.

Tutor Doctor response

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Buyers beware! I had my son evaluated for in home tutoring, signed a contract and paid upfront. It has been a month and yet my son has not received any tutoring! I call and call, but no update. I am in the process of trying to get my money back!

Tutor Doctor response

Hi R, thank you for submitting a review. We're sorry to hear that the tutor-matching process hasn't gone as quickly as you would have liked. This is not the standards we like to hold ourselves to.

Tutor Doctor author review by ConsumerAffairs

Tutor Doctor has been offering in-home tutoring for the last 10 years. It has grown into an international franchise, giving students extra help in countries all over the world.

• Tutors visit the student: Students don't have to worry about getting to the center or working in an unfamiliar environment, as tutors make arrangements to work with students at their homes.

• Individualized tutoring program: Tutors work one-on-one with students and create an individualized program based on their unique needs.

• Helps students with existing homework: Rather than assigning extra homework, tutors work with students on their current homework to help them master it.

• Works closely with classroom teachers: Tutors meet one-on-one with the student's teachers on a regular basis to make sure they are addressing needs appropriately.

• Provides tutoring for both children and adults: Tutor Doctor extends its individualized tutoring services to college students and other adults who need extra help.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team