2.33/5

12 Tutor Doctor Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 8, 2019

I am a retired teacher. I am advertising to tutor. I get a response that this person needs a tutor. My time was wasted when after a few texts she apologizes that I misunderstood her. There was no misunderstanding on my part, I advertised that I am a retired teacher and available to tutor grades K4-8th. She on the other hand emailed me the first time and stated she was looking for a tutor. The appropriate and professional thing to say would be, "I am from Tutor Doctors and I am hiring tutors to work for me." It was after about 3 or 4 emails that she finally identified herself from Tutor Doctor. The emails I was corresponding about were mainly asking questions about who I was tutoring, herself or her child, grade level, subject or subjects, and price is always one of the first things that comes up.

After I am trying to get information she said "I am sorry" that I misunderstood her. "I am not looking for a tutor for myself. I am from Tutor Doctor and we hire tutors." I had already received a phone call about a month prior when I saw their advertisement hiring tutors and inquired about it. After I spoke to a woman I told her that I was not interested at all! Then responding to my advertisement without disclosing upfront that she was from Tutor Doctor felt very deceitful to me.

I did later on try to get more information about their company and failed to get any responses. She basically told me that Tutor Doctor interviews the person and/or family to whom needs to be tutored, then they set me up to go to the families' home to tutor without me speaking to the people first, I asked if she is a teacher or was a teacher? No answer. They would pay me $15.00 an hour, I asked how much do they get? No answer. No gas reimbursement to drive. They stated they tutor at the people's home for safety of the child. I asked about our safety, again, no answer.

I went on the website and found out how much they charge and it is a ridiculous amount but what is more of an insult and deceitful for someone who has been a teacher for 18 years is that they were only going to pay me $15.00 an hour on top of me having to drive where ever, and the actual price they were charging people was over double what I would make. As a tutor on my own I am not charging near that amount. Also, some very important things that people should know is they give an initial assessment. Teachers do not have access to state wide testing. Where is their assessment coming from? That is an important question because how would you know if the assessment tool is a reliable academic tool among other things, but they also charge a great deal of money for this assessment.

I just got another response for tutoring saying, "I'd really like to chat with you about tutoring." I emailed back and stated if they are from Tutor Doctor because the name looked familiar, that I am advertising to tutor but not working for someone else, if they were not from Tutor Doctor I apologized but Tutor Doctor has a middleman but I am the actual tutor. I have not heard back from this person and strongly expect that they are using my advertisement to try and recruit me to work with them, which not only wastes my time, I've said NO to them already twice and I believe by not being upfront on the initial email, instead of "I want to chat", is not only wasting my time it is deceitful and unprofessional to try and reel me in this way.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Our experience with this company started fine but ended badly. It took them a really long time to find us the first tutor and even a longer time to send the second one when the first one didn’t work out (it never comes). Since it had been more than three months passed the company still can’t match us a tutor, we opted to withdraw from the program and requested a refund. Again, it took a really long time to get it back and the company charged us over $400 extra which was not discussed when we signed up! Please beware it!!!

Get expert buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 18, 2019

My experience with Tutor Doctor was a nightmare that I cannot forget. Never in my life have I been bullied by an employer, until I worked for Tutor Doctor. The simple reality of this company is that they are masking many barely qualified tutors as exceptional tutors, and charging people a lot of money for tutoring services, most of this money does not go to the tutor. The tutors with Tutor Doctor take a small cut of the money, Tutor Doctor generates high income for simply connecting tutors to students.

Aside from the reality of this company being immoral and exploitative, my issue lies mainly with management. I am employed by the Tutor Doctor in the Calgary area, and my advice all students looking for a part-time job is to AVOID TUTOR DOCTOR AT ALL COSTS. Not only do you have to sign a non-compete which stops you from tutoring for a couple years after working with Tutor Doctor, but you will be subject to abuse from management. In my experience the management of Tutor Doctor has no regard for student difficulties and does not care about maintaining employer-employee relations, as I was told "We have many tutors, a lot of them" by my management.

As a college student, I was going through a lot nearing the end of my semester in addition to a personal issue that had come up. As a result, I was unable to answer a voicemail from Tutor Doctor regarding a check in. I emailed Tutor Doctor weeks later regarding my availability, and was met with such abrasive and rude behaviour. The call was in response to my email, management was letting me know that they had removed me out of their system. This was the first I had heard of it, and I was shocked as I had just applied to tutor more students the night before. Management went further to jeer at me and say "I find it funny you want to discuss availability just as we have kicked you out of our system", followed by "you must have submitted it right before she removed you from the system, how ironic is that". I felt as though I was being mocked and bullied, but I pushed these feelings aside and began to explain the situation I was in.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get a word in. I tried to explain my situation. I was met with harsh remarks such as "I too have a son, he has five exams next week". She then moved the conversation to the student I requested to teach, at this point I was in disbelief over how this grown woman expected to be a manager was behaving like bully you would encounter in the girls' locker room. In regards to the student I wanted to teach, the management vindictively made comments such as "do you realize how long it will take you to get to the student", and “you do realize the house is so far from your home". I found this very disrespectful, the manner and tone in which she was communicating with was was beyond unprofessional.

I truly believe it is inappropriate for management to make such remarks and comments. I believe the employer lacks empathy and control to be an effective leader, employers much like employees should leave emotion at the door and behave in a professional manner. It appears to me that Tutor Doctor employment does not care about maintaining their relationships with tutors as was stated to me, "We have many tutors, a lot of them".

Tutor Doctor response

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear of your experience with Tutor Doctor. Please know that this situation does not reflect our company values. We've sent you a private message to follow up for more information about this situation. Once again, we apologize what you experienced.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I googled math tutors in the area and found Tutor Doctor. I called to tell them that my daughter needed immediate tutor, prior to her math test that was in a few days. I was assured that they could help me. We set up an appointment for an assessment the following day. I was told that they schedule 2 hours but it really only takes an hour. Once they told me it was an assessment, I expressed concern that we needed to start tutoring right away. They assured me again that they could make that happen. The assessor arrived the following day and sat down with my husband and daughter for 2 hours to both sell them an on-going program and get to know my daughter's needs in order for them to find a suitable tutor who would start IN ABOUT 12 BUSINESS DAYS. I called the company and left repeated messages but of course, they didn't call me back. The poor assessor got an earful from me when he very kindly called me a month later to follow up.

Tutor Doctor response

Thank you for your review. Our consultation allows us to assess your child’s needs & create a customized plan for their academic goals. This is a vital part of our process so that we can match students with a tutor who is the best fit with their academic needs & their personality. We sincerely apologize for the frustration this situation has caused your family, as well as the lack of communication you experienced. We've sent a private message about contacting our Head Office should you wish to.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I am warning individuals not to proceed with this company. I was promised a 100% satisfaction guarantee or money back within 60 days. Our tutor was completely unqualified, and was not able to engage our 12-year-old son. As a result, I opted to withdraw from the program. Instead, the company charged me over $250 in hidden non-refundable fees. Needless to say, I would not recommend this company to anyone and please beware of hidden fees in fine print that are not discussed at the get-go.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tutor Doctor ?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

So I signed up for Tutor Doctor on October 1, 2018. We have completed three classes and I have been charged $394 for these three classes because I decided to cancel the contract within the first three classes because the tutor did not show up for a class or even bothered to notify me and then when I did send the manager message about the tutor not showing up I still haven’t received any reply. But if a family decides not to have the tutor within 24 hours they will be billed but I guess for the customer it doesn’t matter. It’s a one-way road with this tutoring system. Also most of the 3 hours that the tutor was there for was a total waste of money.

Resolution response: Nov. 10, 2017

Finally after 4 months of requesting the finally refunded the funds today to my account. It only took making official complaints for them to make notice. They did offer a sincere apology for how long it took.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Beware when prepaying for tutoring through the Tutor Doctor. They require you to prepay for tutoring hours by purchasing a package of hours. My first package was 36 hours plus a registration fee which was $2030.00. When I completed my hours I was contacted to purchased additional hours to continue. I purchased 25 hours at $55/hour and 6 days after they took my final payment I found out they were closing my local branch as the owner is going bankrupt. I had only used 3.5 hours.

The local branch confirmed they owed me $1182.50. The headquarters in Canada has promised to work on getting me a refund. It has been since July 25th 2017 and I still have yet to see a refund or a date when they will send one. The fact is the main company will not be accountable for their local branch, you could be forking over thousands of dollars and risking that the local branch will shut down without notice leaving you begging for your money back. It has been nearly 3 months and I have not been sent the refund I am owed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I really would encourage others to really use this service the Tutor Doctor. It has been of really great overall value to me and has helped me a great deal. I would really tell others that the price of this company is very fair and I would highly recommend this company to others as well. The price is a great overall deal. The quality of this company the Tutor Doctor is very high and they are very professional and also very helpful and knowledgeable. The teaching style of this company is very authentic as well as helpful to me and they use a distinct and easy to understand and use teaching and learning method.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

Tutors are always worth the money. Make me happy that I hire them. Good value, excellent knowledge and good price. Could not have done it without them. Thank you so much. I have encountered other sites with less pricing but this one is ok. Perhaps lower it a bit could help with finances. It is good quality. I can't complain about my tutors. They were great and awesome. They were incredibly nice and responsible. Very similar to what I get in school but more in depth. Made me like them more and always come back for more tutoring time. Also they go over what you can't understand so good.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

This is a great service. I used Tutor Doctor in Orange County when I needed a reading tutor for my elementary daughter. It has been so hard to find the right tutor who fit our schedule. And I had a bad experience with other tutors who committed and then flaked so I was back to square one looking for a new tutor. They have great tutors who show up and if the tutor does move on, they quickly find another one. And the price for in-home tutoring is competitive to some of the learning centers where I have to drive and then she was in a group situation. Is now getting 90% and higher on all quizzes and tests. The one on one makes a huge difference and she can ask questions and get ALL of them answered. She is now able to do her homework with less frustrations and the stress is gone. They are truly "world class" and I would recommend their services to anyone seeking personalized tutoring focused solely on the student's success.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

Finally found a great tutor and am very pleased. Great website, easy payments making process, extremely good too! Affordable price for tutor doctor! Tutors respond in a timely manner whether or not they are comfortable with your subject. My tutor knows his subject and was very helpful. To the point, super patient and understanding and most of all - he knew all the material backwards and forwards. Understands all the nuances of teaching and learning math and inspired my daughter to love math even more.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

Very nice for people on a budget. If you have a limited budget, Tutor Doctor offers services that don't break your bank. I was able to afford the service of Tutor Doctor without having to get another job or worry about bills needing to get paid. It was super helpful. I was able to learn a lot with Tutor Doctor. They have a lot of different services you can learn about. I can't wait to try them again. I love to learn! The teaching style of tutor doctor was great because it was easy to catch on and easy to catch up. I highly recommend Tutor Doctor to anyone that needs a tutor.

Tutor Doctor expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Tutor Doctor has been offering in-home tutoring for the last 10 years. It has grown into an international franchise, giving students extra help in countries all over the world.

• Tutors visit the student: Students don't have to worry about getting to the center or working in an unfamiliar environment, as tutors make arrangements to work with students at their homes.

• Individualized tutoring program: Tutors work one-on-one with students and create an individualized program based on their unique needs.

• Helps students with existing homework: Rather than assigning extra homework, tutors work with students on their current homework to help them master it.

• Works closely with classroom teachers: Tutors meet one-on-one with the student's teachers on a regular basis to make sure they are addressing needs appropriately.

• Provides tutoring for both children and adults: Tutor Doctor extends its individualized tutoring services to college students and other adults who need extra help.

• Best for: Special needs students, kids who are failing and kids who are taking state exams.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs