2. Education
  3. Tutoring

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.95/5

Tutor Doctor Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tutor Doctor?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tutor Doctor ?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Very bad experience. I’m a single mom looking for tutors to find for my children, Joseph came to my house, totally mislead me with the forms never mentioned that I’m signing a contract, he mislead and hide never mentioned about any cancellations fee or registration. I only use the tutor for 2 hours, he told me the tutors had masters and bachelors degree and have goals and education plans selling services with false and information. And I paid for 2 hours $500.00. I’m trying to fight this in legal way and hopefully other people learn before they get scammed, I wish I read these reviews before.

Tutor Doctor response

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback Mastoora. We are sorry to hear that your experience with Tutor Doctor was not positive. We would love to be able to discuss further with you, so if you would kindly email brandstandards@tutordoctor.com with more details and one of our team members will be available to help.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

By far the best tutoring company we have used. We are in Tampa, FL. I am in the education field myself and the program and system that is used is top of the line. The best part is that you have a tutor coordinator that works with you to ensure the optimal experience. I have 3 kids and all 3 have seen huge results in math and english. My eldest also used for ACT prep. We have been with them for 5 years and really love how easy it is and the personalized approach is great.

Tutor Doctor response

Wow! What a great review! We are so happy to hear that you loved your experience with Tutor Doctor.

Get buying tips about Tutoring delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2020

This tutoring company is definitely not worth a penny. I have had horrible experiences only from the time we signed up. 1. Paid in October 2019 did not get a teacher assigned until end of December. 2. The 1st teacher had zero patience. 3. Asked for a change had to wait 3 weeks before another one to be assigned. 4. This new teacher kept canceling classes for almost a month. 5. When the tutoring coordintaor was told regarding this, she said it's our duty to let them as since that's how their infrastructure works. For billing me I don't have to let them know but if a teacher is away for a month cancelling last min then I have to bring it to their attn, great. They never bother to get a substitute teacher if the one assigned to u is away. 6. They have not yet assigned a new teacher its been over 3 weeks since I informed them. DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER.

Tutor Doctor response

We’re sorry your experience with Tutor Doctor was less than exceptional. Normally we offer exceptional service all around.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

We hired this company to provide tutoring to our son and ended up with three duds out of four. When we had finally had enough we asked that the sessions we had pre-paid for be refunded but they said no because their contract only lets them back out. I reluctantly agreed to another tutor and haven’t heard from them in almost two months!!! They have almost $1000 of our money with no services provided. Don’t use these people.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

Be aware of this people, not professional, first appointment no call no show, when I call to check the lady put me on hold. She tried to call the teacher who supposedly coming to the appointment but she got no answer. She said he maybe driving. I told her, "You mean sleeping" and I cancel with them, I was saved.

Tutor Doctor response

Hi Nabil, We're very sorry to hear about your experience. This is not the standards we'd like to hold ourselves to.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I called a number with an automated answering machine and didn't receive a call back for 5 hours. The young lady who never gave her name just said she was returning a call was TOTALLY unprofessional. It is finals season, and I have met with many tutors over the past months but this service told me straight away I had to BUY 12 sessions first in order to start. BEWARE.... Go with Tutorfly. They are the BEST!!!! She curt, unprofessional and not polite. DO NOT RECOMMEND!!! Called from number **.

Tutor Doctor response

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Buyers beware! I had my son evaluated for in home tutoring, signed a contract and paid upfront. It has been a month and yet my son has not received any tutoring! I call and call, but no update. I am in the process of trying to get my money back!

Tutor Doctor response

Hi R, thank you for submitting a review. We're sorry to hear that the tutor-matching process hasn't gone as quickly as you would have liked. This is not the standards we like to hold ourselves to.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Do not sign a contract with this company. The woman who came to my house and assessed my daughter was very professional, however our experience has been downhill since then. We have been flaked on by two tutors so far and have only tried two so the odds are not great. The first tutor came to the first session unprepared and had not reviewed her assessment and 15 minutes before the second session he said he wouldn’t be making it. (Total waste of an expensive first session and did not continue with that tutor.)

The second tutor took a very long time to get back to me and I had to reach out to her in order to get a first meeting set up. Not only did she just not show up, she didn’t even bother to contact or call me until I reached out to her. She said it wasn’t worth the bother to come down and do the session and suggested we re book and when I tried, she said her schedule was just too full.

Not wanting to disappoint my daughter for a third time I just asked for a refund but they responded I had signed a contract and that the 60 days for me to be unhappy with their services was up. The price point for this company is high and I actually believed from Ashley, the owner and original assessor that the services would be great. Obviously not the case! I wish I had just found my own and suggest you do that as they did not connect me with anyone worth hiring and have negatively affected my daughters educational goals.

Tutor Doctor response

Original review: June 26, 2019

I live in the Greater Toronto Area (Markham). Using this company was a regret. My grade 6 daughter was struggling a bit in math, and I found that I did not have the patience to work with her, so I googled tutoring near me, and Tutor Doctor was one of the first few hits. They sent a high pressure salesmen for a consultation. They promised trained tutors and customized programs, and blah blah blah. I initially decided against the tutoring, but the salesman went into overdrive and I eventually agreed to sign an agreement for 60 tutoring sessions (at the cost of about $55 per session). All must be pre-paid up front.

After about a month of searching, what I received was an inexperience college student. She did some homework with my daughter, but had no formal training or experience teaching or tutoring. She did not even have a math background. Beware of this company, you will receive an inexperienced tutor, a high pressure salesman 'consultation', and very very expensive.

Tutor Doctor response

Original review: June 8, 2019

I am a retired teacher. I am advertising to tutor. I get a response that this person needs a tutor. My time was wasted when after a few texts she apologizes that I misunderstood her. There was no misunderstanding on my part, I advertised that I am a retired teacher and available to tutor grades K4-8th. She on the other hand emailed me the first time and stated she was looking for a tutor. The appropriate and professional thing to say would be, "I am from Tutor Doctors and I am hiring tutors to work for me." It was after about 3 or 4 emails that she finally identified herself from Tutor Doctor. The emails I was corresponding about were mainly asking questions about who I was tutoring, herself or her child, grade level, subject or subjects, and price is always one of the first things that comes up.

After I am trying to get information she said "I am sorry" that I misunderstood her. "I am not looking for a tutor for myself. I am from Tutor Doctor and we hire tutors." I had already received a phone call about a month prior when I saw their advertisement hiring tutors and inquired about it. After I spoke to a woman I told her that I was not interested at all! Then responding to my advertisement without disclosing upfront that she was from Tutor Doctor felt very deceitful to me.

I did later on try to get more information about their company and failed to get any responses. She basically told me that Tutor Doctor interviews the person and/or family to whom needs to be tutored, then they set me up to go to the families' home to tutor without me speaking to the people first, I asked if she is a teacher or was a teacher? No answer. They would pay me $15.00 an hour, I asked how much do they get? No answer. No gas reimbursement to drive. They stated they tutor at the people's home for safety of the child. I asked about our safety, again, no answer.

I went on the website and found out how much they charge and it is a ridiculous amount but what is more of an insult and deceitful for someone who has been a teacher for 18 years is that they were only going to pay me $15.00 an hour on top of me having to drive where ever, and the actual price they were charging people was over double what I would make. As a tutor on my own I am not charging near that amount. Also, some very important things that people should know is they give an initial assessment. Teachers do not have access to state wide testing. Where is their assessment coming from? That is an important question because how would you know if the assessment tool is a reliable academic tool among other things, but they also charge a great deal of money for this assessment.

I just got another response for tutoring saying, "I'd really like to chat with you about tutoring." I emailed back and stated if they are from Tutor Doctor because the name looked familiar, that I am advertising to tutor but not working for someone else, if they were not from Tutor Doctor I apologized but Tutor Doctor has a middleman but I am the actual tutor. I have not heard back from this person and strongly expect that they are using my advertisement to try and recruit me to work with them, which not only wastes my time, I've said NO to them already twice and I believe by not being upfront on the initial email, instead of "I want to chat", is not only wasting my time it is deceitful and unprofessional to try and reel me in this way.

Tutor Doctor response

Thank you for submitting a review. We're sorry to hear about the lack of communication you experienced regarding the tutor recruitment process - this is not standard practice of Tutor Doctor.

Tutor Doctor author review by ConsumerAffairs

Tutor Doctor has been offering in-home tutoring for the last 10 years. It has grown into an international franchise, giving students extra help in countries all over the world.

• Tutors visit the student: Students don't have to worry about getting to the center or working in an unfamiliar environment, as tutors make arrangements to work with students at their homes.

• Individualized tutoring program: Tutors work one-on-one with students and create an individualized program based on their unique needs.

• Helps students with existing homework: Rather than assigning extra homework, tutors work with students on their current homework to help them master it.

• Works closely with classroom teachers: Tutors meet one-on-one with the student's teachers on a regular basis to make sure they are addressing needs appropriately.

• Provides tutoring for both children and adults: Tutor Doctor extends its individualized tutoring services to college students and other adults who need extra help.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team