3.69/5
Based on 4,300 ratings submitted in the last year

4675 United Parcel Service - UPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

Larry is our regular delivery driver here in Leander TX, at Apple Springs Family Dentistry. We have wanted to write Larry a review for quite some time, and just recently asked him how we go about doing so. Let's just start off with Larry's genuine personality and the positivity that he brings to the office every time he does a pick up/delivery. Larry is always moving at full speed no matter what the weather is here in Texas. Dr. ** looks forward to seeing Larry throughout the day knowing he is normally our delivery driver, except some Wednesdays when he is off. :) UPS is not a company that we thought we would begin to care about so much at a dental office, until Larry became our delivery guy. Thanks so much Larry for all you do for our practice!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

UPS used to be the gold standard for shipping, in my view. However, when there's a glitch, they seem to get caught up in their own internal processes instead of solving the problem as viewed by the customer. For example, I had a package that was being sent to be held for me at a regional UPS center because the shipper couldn't recognize my address. I also asked if it could be sent to a closer Walgreens for pickup rather than the UPS center. They said it could, and I said I'd let them know if I wanted to do that. A couple of days later, I saw via the tracking info that it was waiting for me at Walgreens. I never requested that, I simply asked if it was possible. If I hadn't proactively checked about it, it would have been returned after sitting there for a few days.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

We shipped Christmas gifts via UPS this year. We were very happy with the prices we received online, was cheaper than prices we'd received at the store in previous years. This ship time was accurate and good. Liked the delivery notifications we received. The only thing we didn't like was that they didn't confirm the price at the store. We thought they would check the weight and dimensions to make sure we did it right. I think more instructions on the website of how to accurately measure the dimensions would help. Like if the box pooches out in the middle, do you measure that or from the corners? And do you round up or down? Altogether, a very good experience and we will use UPS online next time.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I recently ordered a 32-inch TV from Amazon scheduled for delivery on 01/03/2019 but it was not outside my apartment door nor was there a note regarding attempted delivery. The TV still wasn't here the next day so I called UPS and they swore they delivered it on the third. Turns out they HAD delivered it on the third, but had hidden it behind a couple of huge barbecue pits around the corner from my front door. There was no note or advisory that they had hidden it. If I had not checked, it would still be there, I would have thrown a fit at Amazon and UPS and made a complete FOOL of myself! I realize now that UPS was just being careful, since I live in an apartment, and hid my TV so no one would lift it. All that was missing in this wee fiasco was a note or a text telling me where my new TV was stowed. Other than that, UPS is always reliable.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I overnighted an item to Florida, but it did not arrive on the next day as I had paid $69 for. I went back to the originating location to request a refund. I was told I would have to wait for corporate to call me before I could receive a refund. Yeah, I had a "hmmm, strange look on my face as well" and I made a comment of how easy it was for this station to take my money with no problem, but I have to wait for a phone call to retrieve my money back? Well I waited well over a month and no phone call.

Today, I call customer service and was blessed to speak with a Pam. Pam was pleasant from the very start of the conversation and Pam even had a, "Hmmm, why didn't they just refund you your money?" Pam assured me that she was going to get my matter taken care of and stayed on the phone with me until the transaction was complete. Pam definitely has a heart of a teacher and I highly recommend that she becomes a customer service trainer with UPS. What a blessing it was for me to be served by Pam and shame on the Colorado Springs, CO location for blowing me off. Don't be surprised if Pam doesn't come in to train the Supervisor. Boo to the Colorado Springs location, but Outstanding work to Pam! Keep shining bright because my interaction with you today lessen the blow for UPS. Thank you Pam!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UPS?

Original review: May 25, 2019

Before I begin I was trying to give no stars, but the lowest you can give is one star. My recommendation DO NOT USE UPS-- poor service, unaccountable, irresponsible and poor customer service. I will give only two examples: I mailed a box from a New York City Store on the Upper West Side, a box of Christmas gifts to my granddaughters in Atlanta. As I kept tracking it, it didn't arrive. I called customer service and was told it was out for delivery (this showed on the tracking for 5-6 days). When the package finally arrived days before Christmas the box was soaking wet, had been opened, gifts removed, other gifts put back damaged and the box re-taped and left on my son's doorstep without an explanation.

I called UPS and was told they are sorry, but not their problem, first warning bell, then I was told they are not responsible since they have no notation that anything happened to the box. So I sent pictures of the wet box and damaged products and filed a claim. But alas the claim is not handled by UPS corporate, but the NYC store which is independently owned and not supported by UPS corporate. Well it is May 24 and I'm still waiting for a refund. Not really :( I don't think I'm getting any refund and I don't have time to keep tracking this down.

Another son who lives in Atlanta went into a UPS store yesterday and mailed a document to me to be delivered overnight by 10:30 am today and no delivery. I dutifully tracked the package which said ALL DAY, long past the 1030 promised delivery, that it would be delivered. After a 45 minute call at 8:30 pm with UPS corporate who denied any responsibility, of course I was told they were sorry, but they couldn't help me.

The customer service center was closed until Tuesday and so my package would not be delivered until Tuesday. So a package with documents needed by today will now sit in a UPS service center until Tuesday because of failure on the part of the UPS delivery person. Although, I did receive another UPS package today so why not all my packages. Same old story, my son will have to file a claim to get back his money. I wonder if he will ever see that refund. Lastly, I was told you'll have it Tuesday. We will see. In summary, use the United States Postal Service.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Where to begin. I live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida zip code 33304. Since April 11th I started receiving weekly packages every Friday from a home meal kit service. Every Friday since April 11th I have been dealing with an incompetent driver(s). The instructions clearly state to leave box in front of my door. The box has been left outside the complex, under the mailboxes, and on top of the mailboxes. After multiple complaints I was told to create a UPS My Choice account and to provide the same instructions on the box to the driver. This Friday the box was again not left at my door.

Calling the UPS Customer service is a joke. I spoke with a manager named Xar ** Who I could barely understand. She informed me that the local office mgr would contact me in an hour. 2 hours go by, I call and they said he tried contacting me twice which was a lie. No one tried contacting me and he is supposed to call me tomorrow by 10 am. This company is a joke and I can't believe they have been around since 1907 and treat customers so poorly.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I am so flippin' sick of trying to wade through UPS's awful robot call center... time and time again. Just getting to a CSR is ridiculous. They repeatedly fail to deliver packages. I live in a secluded, rural area - no one is stealing them, unless it's a daytime possum. I receive a "delivered" notification, but as always, nothing is there. Then I get to go through their lengthy "investigation" period, in which I always have to have a new package sent out. Thus, what was supposed to be 2-day delivery? Yeah, more like two weeks. C'mon UPS get it together. Carrier pigeon would be more practical. If I could request USPS, I would every time. F-

Original review: May 24, 2019

UPS fails after multiple uses. There is virtually no American customer service, if you get one it is after 30 min. of recorded prompts. They simply do not care about customers. I highly recommend you use FedEx.

Original review: May 23, 2019

UPS drivers have always been very courteous, until I had a delivery delivered to the wrong address. I called UPS and to my knowledge it has never been found. Since then, instead of bringing my deliveries to my door, it is literally thrown in my carport. The other day it was a very big box I had to wrestle into my house. I feel they can do better. I did not lose the shipment, UPS did, so why am I paying the price for that.

Original review: May 22, 2019

So I'm looking outside my window expecting a delivery and this UPS man comes and puts this 150 pound box on the bottom of my stairs. Meanwhile they're supposed to put it in front of my door and he left it there and was yelling at someone outside and his dumb self didn't even ring my doorbell or knock on the door to alert me he was here. If I hadn't been looking out the window I would've never known I got a package. And keep in mind I'm a 17 year old girl waiting for her father's package to come and I struggled to get that box up my stairs to my front door. The box even almost fell on me because an idiot UPS driver didn't do his job right. Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: May 22, 2019

They do everything they can to get you to not call. Once they get you on the phone they transfer you all around. I asked for billing to get a refund. They transferred me to 3 different customer service reps before allowing me to talk to billing. They are unprofessional on the phone and our business will no longer work with them.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I moved from one state to another and thought of using UPS service for shipping 2 of my boxes, one of which weighed around 77 LB and another weight 33 LB. I went to the UPS store and bought the cardboard box from them and they charged me $25 for one single box! Afterwards I booked for a pick-up from my home using their website but somehow I wasn't sent a confirmation email. Then I created a new label to try once more. It worked, I got the confirmation email as well but I couldn't cancel the previous one! I had to call the customer service multiple times to get the previous pick up and shipping labels voided. Too much hassle!!

The the next day I forgot to print the label and my pick-up was scheduled for the day-after. So, I went to print the shipping label on the same day but the website didn't allow me to print the already created shipping labels after 24 hours of creating them. I called the customer service again and they didn't help. They asked me to create the labels again. :| After the pick was done they sent me extra handling charges for having sent a suitcase, but when my bag was received on the other side it was in very poor condition, torn and mishandled. My stuff inside the box was also broken and torn. I'm very very disappointed in them. Never use UPS for moving the stuff you really care about.

Original review: May 21, 2019

First I want to say that the drivers are the BEST, friendly, professional, and hard working. Customer service on the other hand, not so much. I had to spend close to 6 minutes going around and around on a loop with their automated phone system. When I finally got to a rep and answered her question, which she acknowledged, she said she couldn't hear me and hung up. The live chat line was not much better. My delivery driver is great. UPS customer service and their automated system gave me a headache. I hope their management sees this.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Very disappointed in UPS...I was expecting a package for my business that was going to be used for a wedding & they delivered it to the wrong house & one of UPS employees came to investigate the claim & found that it had in fact been delivered to wrong address but when the lady called me for the claim all they wanted to do is call my shipper and credit them for the shipping & did not even offer to reimburse me for my package or what expense I lost for my business....I will not be using UPS anymore FedEx will get my business from now on & I will let me customers know what kind of business ups runs!!!! A very disappointed soon to be ex customer.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I ordered a bridal set ring from JCPenney May 12th 2019. On my confirmation ordered from JCPenney it said my ring was supposed to be delivered on May 21-23. On May 14th I got an email from JCPenney saying my ordered had been shipped. Updated tracking information will be available within 24 hours on the carrier's website. I waited for the Email to track my item but no further email was sent to me so I couldn’t track my item. May 16th, I got home from work around 5:30 and checked my email. There was an email from JCPenney that my item had been delivered. I asked my daughter (who was home all day) where my package is at. She said she didn’t see a package and there was KNOCK or NO DOORBELL RANG.

I was in a panic mode so I called JCPenney. The rep said it showed the item had been shipped but on another system they had it showed it’s in transition and she’s not sure which system has the correct info. She told me to wait and call in a few days if it haven’t arrived. I waited till Friday and Saturday yet no package show up. I called on Sunday and a JCPenney rep said they will do an investigation because the note from the UPS said they KNOCKED/RANG DOORBELL and left it on the front doorstep. She gave me a case # and for me to call back in 2 weeks.

May 20th- I got homed from work around 5pm. Around 5:45 my husband took the trash outside and said, "There’s a package out here. I looked and it’s for my daughter and the delivery service is UPS.” I was homer he whole time and there was no KNOCK or DOORBELL RANG. I’m sure if this package was stolen they would’ve also wrote on their note they RANG THE DOORBELL and KNOCK. UPS, where is my ring?

Original review: May 20, 2019

I went to pick up 3 packages from my local UPS access point and never got my packages. This is the second time the store owner simply ignored me even when he wasn't doing anything else. Several days ago I went to pick up 2 packages and the store owner said it wasn't his job, then walked around the counter and stood at the front door of his store and ignored me. I waited 15 minutes and luckily his son showed up and took care of me in 30 seconds.

Today I went to pick up 3 packages and when I told him I had 2-3 packages to pick up, he told me "Good luck with that". Nobody else was in his store, he then started making himself something to eat and kept staring at me. He then took care of 5 customers that showed up 5-10 minutes after I was waiting for the guy to give me my stuff. I waited about 20 minutes, got fed up and left without my packages. I have bad knees and lower back and I can't stand for long periods of time, so waiting on ignorant people like him is not on my to do list. I love UPS itself but hate the access point guy I have to try and deal with.

Original review: May 19, 2019

In my area UPS has convenient locations and the nearest store has improved services markedly. Rarely do I have to stand in line and the service personnel seem friendlier, more expedient and more knowledgeable. I suspect UPS has provided some training!

Original review: May 18, 2019

Charging brokerage fees on a box on a percentage basis of the value of what's in it is crooked. That box could contain a twenty fifty, 2 hundred, or $2500 item. If there are no more services required to clear the $25 item than the $2500 item, why charge more!?!? I will do everything in my power to avoid using these crooks again.

Original review: May 18, 2019

For the past week I had to deal with UPS incompetence twice. First time they decided my address was undeliverable to even though I have been receiving packages there for the past 2 years. Second, they said they left a package at the "side door" that I don't have. They said the package was delivered at a time when I was actually home and checking every 10 minutes for it. Total scam!!!! FedEx is so much better!

Original review: May 15, 2019

Sterling, Va, The worst experience of my life with UPS. Your drivers are incompetent. I send packages to Ashburn address frequently. They are always sent to wrong location or not received. This past experience your UPS drivers shoving a packing into a locker and they gave us the code to retrieve the package from the locker. The code would not open the locker. UPS basically said the case closed today& UPS acted like we don't have the code or don't know how to use it or we did in fact get box and not being honest. Whatever their problem is.

After further investigation I figured out that the UPS driver shoved/forced large package in a locker in the apartment complex and had it open long enough to cause it to go into error mode. I finally called the owner of the Lockers and got the IT department to open the locker remotely. BTW - You did not solve this problem. And your phone reps are worthless at UPS and everyone involved gave me the run around for 2 days. My time is valuable. PROBLEM SOLVED NOT BY YOU BUT BY THE SENDER WHO SPENT 2 DAYS TRYING TO TRACK THE PACKAGE.

ALSO, There was another package which was out for delivery by your drivers last night by Sterling facility. Suddenly, they said could not be delivered and there was a schedule change late last night. I contacted UPS about this and UPS said the package could not be delivered there was a problem with the truck or some BS story with equipment. It is so crazy -- When the locker was opened today remotely to pick up the other lost package the family noticed the 2nd delivery that was supposed to be late due to truck problems was on the floor and not in any locker. UPS said it could not be delivered before Thursday. Another lie.

A Thursday delivery date was set up. ****The amazon package was delivered and on the floor and you lied. There was no problem with the truck. There is a problem with a lazy driver that just dumped packages on the floor of the locker room in an insecure location. Sure they have cameras but anyone could take those boxes. Thank god the family was there today to see that you did in fact deliver and dump the other delivery on the floor. Your service is horrible and your divers are protected by the Union. The Sterling Location is the worst and you have ongoing problems which must be resolved. Everyone is talking about packages being dumped at wrong addresses all the time. YOUR DRIVERS ARE INCOMPETENT AND I AM ESCALATING THIS TO THE TOP. I have played games with Sterling UPS long enough.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Our driver always parks his vehicle 150 feet from my front porch and this time asked if we have an ATV for him to bring them to the porch since the packages were heavy. I told him no so he said he would carry them but he dumped him on the ground by my steps. I asked him if he would at least put them on the porch so he picked him up off the ground and put them on the top step! One package was dropped twice as he was getting it out of the truck! This is the third incident with this driver!!!

Original review: May 14, 2019

Since 5/7/19 a notice was left on my door by the driver after one attempt to deliver my package. I went to the access point right away to collect my packages only to find out that the driver did not bring them. I called UPS immediately and asked for my packages to be re-delivered to my residence, I was told by customer service a request was being made. On 5/8/19 my package was not delivered, I again called customer service, another request was made and I was told my package would be delivered by Friday 5/10/19. I got home from work still no package.

I again called customer service for a third time now and was told the request didn't go through not once but twice and that now a request was being sent to the warehouse. I was then told I would receive a call from the warehouse on Saturday 5/11/19. Saturday came I received no such call. I still haven't gotten my packages and today is Monday 5/13/19. This is an example of bad emoloyees who doesn't care to try to re-deliver after one attempt, bad customer service reps who lie, and an overall just bad company. Amazon and DHL is by far the best delivery service out there.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I receive notices from UPS when a package is coming, which I did get an email on Friday before Mother's Day that a package was going to be delivered before end of day on Saturday. I knew it would be a mother's day gift from one of my two out of state sons. I did not receive the package on Saturday (we all know UPS does NOT work on Saturday). Now my live plant sat on a truck or warehouse for 2 extra days. If that isn't bad enough it wasn't even delivered until after 7pm. On a truck since 830 this morning in Florida.

My plant was well packaged and took such a beating it is barely alive. It was a miniature rose bush with a ceramic pot. Someone tossed this box around so much that there was hardly anything left that wasn't in the bottom of the pot. I have a bunch of miniature roses in a bowl of water to get some enjoyment out of them

If I had a choice I would NEVER use UPS. In the future I will try and pick my service as it would NOT be this company. I don't have the heart to tell my son who was quite disappointed to start with that he ordered this on May 9th not to be received until after Mother's day that the plant was ruined. Instead I told him thank you for such a beautiful plant... Avoiding UPS at all cost!

Original review: May 14, 2019

I would give negative 5 stars if I could. Customer support has no idea what they are talking about and gives customers false information. One agent in specific could not even speak English and hung up on me, and never called me back. After their 5 "attempted delivery" in which I was patiently waiting at home and no delivery driver showed up, I'm driving & picking up the shipment myself tomorrow. I honestly feel scammed.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I have had UPS come to my address many times and every time I ship with them they can never get my package to me or leave my package across the street near the road where it could get damaged or stolen. I have not had any good shipments with them at all.

Original review: May 11, 2019

My package (for Mother's Day) was due to arrive today. It crossed the country without delay and status says is arrived at the San Pablo Hub at 5:09 PM yesterday. That is way more time than needed to move the package to West Sacramento, then Rancho Cordova for delivery to my UPS Store. At 10:00 PM, a one business day delay for severe weather was imposed. Weather in nearby Oakland was 57 degrees, skies less than 20% clouds, wind 9.9 mph and 0% chance of rain.

Today I tracked my package multiple times. It arrived in West Sacramento at 1:19 AM today, but was never transported to Rancho Cordova for delivery. Customer services reps assured my the package was out for delivery by 8 PM. Since my UPS Store closes at 6, I waited in the parking lot. At 7:59 PM I contacted UPS again and they now said it was delayed until the day after Mother's Day. "Ask UPS" gave the most sarcastic answer ever. I asked will my pack arrive today and it answered, "Can't you see it is out for delivery?" Word-For-Word!!!

The failure started when my package was 73 miles from me with 26 hours and 51 minutes to do their job. There was no weather impact. That was a lie. It was never out for delivery. Probably a misinterpretation of the status by well-meaning employees. "Ask UPS" needs to take lessons from Siri. The real issue may have been high volume for Mother's Day gifts. Oh, by the way, we are a family of UPS employees. (One retired, one that sorted at the West Sacramento facility for 7 years. It is a great company that seriously let us down on this transaction.)

Original review: May 10, 2019

Of course I did not accept it, the driver deemed it "undeliverable due to damage" after the fact. Obviously UPS knew of the damage at the time they did it. Instead of admitting it and immediately reversing the shipment back to the sender they continued to ship it and deliver it to me in hopes that I would accept it and place the burden between myself and the sender. To add insult to injury, I was approached by a neighbor that I do not know inquiring if I received my piano. When I asked, "how do you know about that?" The answer was, "I asked the delivery guy what apartment it was going to and he told me your number".

Absolutely unacceptable! It is not UPS's place to divulge to anyone what deliveries are going to my address, publicize what valuables are entering my home, or give the the exact location of where they may be leaving it outside. This is a serious privacy violation and potential theft risk concern. The Piano was a warranty replacement and this nonsense cost me days of lost work waiting for deliveries and weeks without the instrument (invaluable).

Original review: May 9, 2019

This company is COMPLETE TRASH!!! They’ve shipped all customer service overseas to people that COMPREHEND English. It’s not acceptable that they can speak it but not COMPREHEND it. I was given a quote that I was told was being saved to my profile. I called back in and that quote was nowhere to be found. I was told that even if they listened to the call, they would not be able to honor the quote. This is NOT how you do business.

Original review: May 8, 2019

We live in a secure, high-rise apartment building and the office is open from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until noon. This building is forty years old and UPS drivers have managed to make deliveries all this time until recently. The driver has not been able to make it here before noon twice this week and if I hadn’t called them today the driver would probably return the shipment to the seller tomorrow. But I have to go pick it up from a UPS store to make sure I receive it. There are 180 apartments in this building and UPS is usually here every day and other residents are having trouble with deliveries too. When I talked to UPS there was no apology given. I tried to email them and couldn’t get very far because of their system. It’s very frustrating.

UPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

UPS was founded in a Seattle basement by two teenagers in 1907 as a home delivery packaging service. Today, UPS is an international company that utilizes technology to make it easy for consumers and businesses to send and receive packages when and where they need them.

• UPS store: Developed in 1980 as an alternative to the United States post office, the UPS store has more than 4,700 locations throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Along with shipping services, the stores offer services such as printing, copying and business services, making them a convenient one-stop-shop for businesses and consumers alike.

• My UPS: Create a free My UPS account to keep track of deliveries, set preferences and receive notifications when a package is on its way. This feature is available for consumers and businesses.

• Small business solutions: UPS offers several solutions for small businesses, including help with tracking and billing, returns solutions for retailers including e-commerce businesses and timesaving technologies.

• UPS Internet shipping: Streamline the process of shipping for your business with UPS Internet shipping. This feature helps you automate paperwork, create a bill of lading for freight shipments using saved addresses and commodity information and take care of printing labels and paying for shipping online.

• UPS World Ease: Ideal for businesses that frequently send shipments overseas, UPS World Ease simplifies the process of international shipping by allowing you to ship packages to multiple recipients within one country or within the European Union as one shipment that will clear customs as a single transaction. This can speed up the shipping process greatly and make it more efficient for you to continue shipping overseas.

• Best for: UPS is best for small businesses, particularly those that regularly ship overseas or domestically.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs