2.26/5
Based on 1,231 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

3962 United Parcel Service - UPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

IF YOU MUST USE UPS, EMPLOY DROP OFF AT A FACILITY, DO NOT USE MY UPS, OR PROVIDE ACCOUNT INFO. I signed up for ConsumerAffairs just for the pleasure of writing this review. As seems to be the case with many large companies, there is no common sense. More than that, they employ cash grabs as a means to increase revenue.

I shipped a large package, both weighing, and measuring it in advance. I signed up for a UPS account and shipped online, making use of the pick up at my home option. The dimensions were 58in x 8in x 28in. Shipping cost me $109.**. The package arrived, and I forgot all about it. I wake up this morning, and check my account looking for a refund that I am expecting, and see a shiny new charge from UPS, $80.16. This post is already long enough, so I'll get to the point. UPS customer service claims that my package was selected "at random" to be audited.

During this audit, the claim is that my package was 53in x 9in x 32in. I am not sure the methods UPS uses to measure, but I measured more than once, and round up, so... yeah. I even selected the "Large or Irregular package" option when pricing my shipment. The woman on the phone tried to tell me the "adjustment" was because with their audit measurements the package fell into their "large or irregular package" category. Go figure, a huge as box is considered large, earth-shattering development, thanks.

I requested, AND received a refund, BUT as "a one-time courtesy." I imagine business who do not look closely, might miss an errant $80.**, but this is a pretty disgusting practice. Random audit, I am sure. They saw a freight sized package, and assumed I was a business they could slip one past. IF YOU MUST USE UPS, EMPLOY DROP OFF AT A FACILITY, DO NOT USE MY UPS, OR PROVIDE ACCOUNT INFO.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

I've used USPS and FedEx on many many occasions!! I get my packages within 1-3 days, even on Saturdays. I'm talking about packages that travel from California to New York. I didn't pay attention to who was carrying the recent package that I ordered. (MISTAKE) Once I saw my delivery date was set for a week later, I immediately knew who had my package. (UPS) The only time UPS will deliver a package earlier than expected is when the package is being shipped to a business. My package met the out for delivery time today because it's already in New York but my delivery date is tomorrow. So, I won't get it until then even though it's here. I mean, didn't I wait long enough already?? NEVER AGAIN!!!

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was told my package was to be delivered on 8/9/20. Was informed that UPS had delayed it at one of their terminals, I was fine with that. They guaranteed it on 8/10/20 because it was held up by them. Checked my tracking number, showed it was put on the truck at 5:45 am for delivery on the 10th. Even show out for del. Never showed up. Called them, asked about it. They said not until Monday. Now I was pissed. I was told there was nothing they can do about it and that they don't guarantee delivers. How could it be shown out for del and they say it wasn't. Next time I use postal service. At least they deliver on Sundays.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My pharmacy arranged for UPS to deliver my chemo. I did not receive an email or text to track the package so I went to the front gate to see if they tagged my gate. No tag. a little later I received a call saying they were unable to reach me. Yeah, right. No one tried to deliver. I go back downstairs again and they did not tag. There is no evidence they even attempted. I am here all day. I never left my apartment. I go downstairs to check periodically. Nothing. I almost never have a good experience with UPS. I have asked Acredo to please never send me my chemo meds via UPS ever again.

The bright side of your company is your response team which was really nice and did try to help but could not get my meds delivered to me the on the same day. I did not miss my delivery. I never left my apartment except to walk downstairs to see if the UPS was coming. No tag. No evidence they tried to deliver. I was here all day. No text with tracking number, no call, no email. Thanks to your response team I should be getting a call from UPS to let me know it is at their facility and allow me to pick it up even if it doesn't get back to that facility until 8 pm. I will be surprised if I get this phantom call and if someone is there for me to get it.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I requested my investment company to send me a check via Next Day Air due to emergency situation/crisis. It was supposed to arrive here on Wednesday, it never came. An investigation is going on now and it will take up to 7 business days to come up with a result. I had to put a stop on that check and requested a new one which will take me another couple of days to receive it. They cannot use bad weather for an excuse because I live here in San Diego CA. The only acceptable alibi is their staff are highly incompetent and do not care much about customers. They charge high but their service is very low.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UPS?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

Looks like most reviews of UPS are from individuals. I wanted to let people know UPS is no better for their corporate customers. They sent my company a six-figure invoice for one week's worth of shipping (should have been about 20K). They do this by scanning multiple boxes together to make it look like you shipped larger, heavier boxes, or by charging business-to-business shipments at residential rates. I hope other customers examine their bills as closely as we do.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

The worst service I have ever experienced with UPS!!! I received a text message that my package was delivered and come to find out that it was either NOT delivered or was left on my doorstep and stolen. I have someone sitting in my house ALL day waiting for this delivery and never got a knock at the door from the driver! I got absolutely no help from customer service and was told to contact Amazon regarding this! I will NEVER order anything from anyone ever again who uses UPS!!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My experience with UPS has been far from great. I have four claims in the system one dating back to July 27, 2018. I’ve been on the phone everyday with a representative to receive information about my claim. I’ve had lost items and damaged goods and the experience has not been amazing to even consider using the services again. One of my claims were denied because they stated I didn’t pack it correctly and it was bubbled wrapped, packed with newspaper and clothing. Boxes were labeled fragile as well. Some boxes came completely ripped up with my items in clear places bags that I never used. Whatever happened to common courtesy if the box ripped open to tape the box up again.

My 55 inch television completely destroyed. The whole glass is completely shattered. Fragile was marked on all items that needed to be handled with care and it seems like the package handlers do not care about the items because it does not belong to them. Processes are in place for people to follow why promote a company and how things are handled properly when that is not true. My television was deliberately broken. There is no way the package handler was not aware. It was in the original box and they should have taken time to handle it properly.

With all the items that are shipped consistently UPS should provide more training or proper training so packages arrive to people in its original state. I’m not pleased and have items missing and it’s disappointing when you contact the damage department and they just say you didn’t package it properly and don’t try to go above and beyond when you paid for a service that did not deliver properly. I’m not interested in giving business to UPS anymore. It’s sad that you as the customer sometimes who may also work in customer service don’t receive the proper treatment with some of these companies and UPS is one of them. They do not have a corporate phone number and it’s hard to get anyone to assist you if you have a urgent need and just want answers and proper communication. I expected better from a huge corporation like UPS and I’m not happy with any of the service that was provided.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I sent my legal documents overnight via UPS, paid $97 to overnight the documents. They were not received overnight. 3 business days later I got notification that the document was signed for. Unfortunately that person, "Galliger" did not work for the company that was supposed to be the recipient. I requested a refund twice because I paid for overnight and it did not get there overnight. I spent more money to re-ship documents via FedEx. Eventually the person who signed for the UPS documents got it to the intended recipient, but that was several business days later.

I paid for overnight. UPS refuses to refund me or give me the difference between overnight and 5 day delivery. Their reason is that once the package was found, I did not again request for a refund. I did not know that I had to, because they have a guarantee on their website and because I had already requested refunds on every conversation I had with them. They are saying that they did not become aware of the package actually being found until past the 15 days. Every time I call there is a different reason for me not to receive my refund, now it has been over a month.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I ordered a part for my car two weeks ago and it took almost a week and a half to get from California to Louisiana. Fast forward to this week I ordered another part that was being sent from Canada and it only took 3 days with FedEx. Lesson learned and I will never have anything shipped with UPS again...it's sad when regular "snail mail" is faster than them.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Driver dropped shipping label off (for an item I was returning) on the front door without ringing the door bell; my package was ready to go. When I contacted the main UPS office to schedule a pick up and explained to them that I was homebound following foot surgery, they were unsympathetic and accepted no blame. I scheduled another pickup (at an additional cost) and after reading the reviews on this page, have set the package on the front porch. Fingers crossed they can get it right this time.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I used UPS Freight to ship two antique family dressers (about 130 and 170 years old, respectively) from upstate New York to Oregon. Both dressers were received damaged. For the first dresser, the wood fronts of two drawers were split. For the second dresser, a corner footing was broken off. I filed a claim for the damage and received a letter about two months later stating that the claim would be processed with 100 days. After nearly a year and several unreturned phone calls to the claims person, I still have not received any compensation for the damaged items. UPS Freight is unreliable and does not stand behind their product.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

We paid $10 for a package pick up at our home. Per the usual, the driver walked up, rang the doorbell, and immediately walked away, did not wait for anyone to answer the door. I called corporate for a refund on 8/3 and they gave me a case # and promised me a call back on 8/4. Never heard from them again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I was supposed to receive a package on Friday and it was postponed to Monday. When I called customer service they initially told me that was because of a flat tire on the trailer. I then asked them to deliver it to a different address as I work 7 days a week and they said they will charge me 5 dollars for that. I agreed but then they refused saying they couldn’t do it and I would have to pick up it up from the customer service point after agreeing and refusing once again to deliver it to a UPS store near me. I spoke to a manager named Mario, who was very very rude to me by saying things like “didn’t you hear it the first time” and “how would I know if we would have a flat tire”. Overall my experience have been very very bad and this was after nearly 2 hour of total talk time on the phone this morning itself. I would have given it zero stars but there wasn’t an option for that.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I waited in the house whole day for my order then received a message that they showed up and couldn't find me home and did not hear any knock on the door. Now they are taking my order to a market for me to pick up tomorrow which doesn't sound reliable at all.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My delivery was not made today even though you said it's out on the truck to be delivered. I've waited all day for this and made plans around this being delivered today as promised. This is NOT the first time this has happened. Very frustrating. So far all I've gotten from UPS is typical "lip service" as usual. Tracking Status. Out for Delivery Today. Scheduled Delivery. "My apologies I do not show that this package reflects out for delivery. Delivery has been updated to 8/6/18." ~ Rachel. That's probably because someone in YOUR COMPANY CHANGED THE DELIVERY DATE!!! This has happened before and it's a real crappy way to do business!! FEDEX is looking better All the time!!!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I scheduled my package to be picked up on Aug 3, 2018 from 7:30am to 12:00pm here in Legend Circle, Vallejo, CA 94591. I indicated on the UPS app that it will be on the front door so that’s where I placed it the day before pickup. Went home Aug 3, package was still there, checked my pickup status on their site and it said something like "item pickup unsuccessful, reschedule pickup". The package was big and you will see on the front door even if you just drive by the street! They did not even specify why it was unsuccessful! I checked online and there were a lot who had the same instance. What kind of irresponsible and lazy pickup/delivery employees does UPS hire? Based on the reviews, this has been going on for years! And even here in the US! Next time this happens, I’m going to gather evidence and then sue UPS!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

UPS service is terrible, employees are incompetent. I was expecting delivery of a package and waited at home for it, UPS stating it would be delivered between 8 am and 7 pm, but might be later. I received an email in the afternoon stating that a delivery was attempted but the recipient was not available. This is not true, I was home all day. I called customer service to complain and was told that the package would definitely be delivered later that day. It didn't happen. It was rescheduled for delivery the next day. The next day I received the same delivery attempted email and made the same complaint to customer service with the same response from them. This happened four days in a row.

On the fourth day immediately after receiving the delivery attempted email, I saw the delivery truck on my street and approached the driver. He admitted that he had the package in his truck for four days but told me he does not attempt to deliver to brownstone houses because no one is ever home. The delivery person made no attempt to deliver until I personally asked him to deliver it. Someone was present to accept this delivery every day. This package would never have been delivered if I had not personally approached the delivery man and asked him to give it to me. I complained to UPS Customer Support and their only response (two days after I complained) was that my package had been delivered. This is not the first time I have had an experience like this with UPS, this is just the worst one. UPS is incompetent. Make every effort not to use them.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Heard a bang on the front door this afternoon, so I go to the front door and found a very damaged package and saw a man on the sidewalk, in UPS uniform, yelling something at me, I couldn't understand him. He goes to his truck which was parked a couple houses down. The box was demolished, so he obviously threw it from the sidewalk to the door which was at least 15 feet from the sidewalk. I called UPS to complain and gave them the tracking number. They promised to call back within the hour. They never did. Judging by the other reviews, this is pretty par for the course concerning UPS. They are a horrible company and I would never recommend them to ship anything.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

UPS service is beyond horrible!!! They need to invest in customer service, upgrade their systems (which is probably outdated) and be a little realistic. On Thursday July 26 & Friday July 27 UPS came to drop a package at my home and obviously it was during regular 9-5 working hours therefore no one was at home. The package had a brokerage charge of $ 38.00 and for theft reasons I preferred not to leave money at my front door and requested my package to be dropped at my in-laws who live 10 mins away on Monday July 30 by leaving a note on my front door. UPS delivery guy/lady replied, "sorry out of route and ticked final try".

On that said night (July 30) I went online and had the options of either paying $5 to re-route the package or pick up at location: UPS CUSTOMER CENTER - 65 Trillium Park PL ON, Kitchener Canada N2E1XI where my package will be held from Wednesday August 01 - Wednesday August 08. On Wednesday August 01 I went to pick my package up at 4 PM and the lady at the front desk said she sent my package to destruction, I requested her name over and over and she refused to provide me with her name (poor customer service). I asked her why my package was sent to destruction clearly I confirmed I was picking up my package today. She took the UPS note that was left on my door and destroyed it. Again I asked for her name and she refused to provide and kept saying the sender advised to send package to destruction. She provided me with customer service 1 800 number.

When I called this number I spoke to Wendy at customer service who kept saying they were advised by sender to destroy and sorry but I have to contact the sender. I contacted the sender who in this case was Justice.com and spoke to a lady name Jennifer who advised that UPS claims customer abandon the package. Like really??? Why would I abandon my own package??? UPS clearly lied to both the customer and sender. After learning the sender did not advise UPS to no longer hold my package I called customer service again a second time. This time the lady said, "On July 30th you asked to pick your package up at 65 Trillium PL Kitchener and it will be held there until August 08." I reminded her I just went there and the lady who refused to give her name said I can't have my package because she sent it over to "good" or destruction whatever their term is.

She then said I need to have the sender carry out an investigation. Why do I need to get the sender to carry out an investigation when clearly it's a screw up at UPS end. The lady sitting at the front desk knows exactly where she sent it. Why can't UPS customer service investigate??? I will not used or recommend UPS to any one. This was beyond the worst customer service I have received thus far. UPS please if you say to a customer that you will be holding a package for a particular time please, please, please, please do. If I walked into your UPS customer Center in Kitchener ON, Canada on August 09th for pick up and you said it was sent to destruction that 's fine but not on August 01. Clearly UPS service is not geared towards the 24th century E-commerce businesses.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

UPS made an attempt to deliver my package. I was unaware it would need a signature however that would not be a problem if the delivery could be made before 2 or after 6. I understand the drivers have routes but in my experience with other delivery companies if you call and leave a delivery instruction giving delivery hour options my experience is that the driver will take that into consideration. When I called UPS I was told they would not offer that option and that my only option was to wait until it was attempted as normal operations and then have it sent to a delivery drop location. The point of delivery is to not have to go pick it up otherwise I wouldn’t have had it shipped.

UPS is a constant issue when they deliver in our area packages lost, rude customer service agents and just blatant disregard for their patron's needs. How can they expect working consumers to just sit at home and wait for them to decide to come and deliver the package or have someone waiting all day in their behalf. I do understand the concept of having routes but customer service should be considered and the route be modified if need be especially since I was told by the customer service agent delivery hours are from 7am to 7 pm and my request fell within that timeframe and was not unreasonable. After being persistent that the package be noted I was told it was noted but would be delivered following regular delivery operations. UPS is not a professional company and I will not do business with them if possible again.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I had a package coming on a day I had work so I paid them to deliver on a later date so it can be received safely. Package never came. You would think there would be priority to customers that pay twice for a delivery to come. Now I gotta wait till Monday and stay home all day for package to come... If it even comes. Disappointed.

Original review: July 28, 2018

No one at UPS could tell me what an approx 1 ounce letter sent overnight might cost before we shipped. The letter was being shipped to me by a company using my shipper number. The SURPRISE was the bill of $50.18. Are they kidding me? A one page letter... $50.18??? After speaking to customer service, I was transferred to the rudest, most incompetent manager at UPS. He rather search (inaccurately) the rates of other shippers (all significantly less than UPS) than admit this is highway robbery.

You can only get rate for 1 pound package on the website. This letter was ounces. He reiterated over and over that a single page letter was LIKELY less than a pound. LIKELY less than a pound? He even spelled the word “likely” out. Yes, dear, it is less than a pound. Like not even close. The first customer service agent did admit it was excessive and didn’t sound right. Uh, ya think? They did nothing for me. Customer service offered to refund $1.22. Gee, thanks. Apparently UPS needs it more than I do. So keep it. I will never use UPS ever again. Enjoy the, one time only, $50.18. You’ve lost a customer.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I ordered diabetic testing supplies from Amazon and they shipped using UPS SurePost. Though Amazon and the label have my correct address, tracking shows Surepost delivered to the wrong address in the wrong city (the cities sound nothing alike and have totally different zip codes)! Though Amazon refunded my purchase price, the refund will not show up in my bank account for 3 to 5 business days, but I can't afford to reorder these supplies until it does. So, I can't manage a life threatening condition because SurePost is too careless to train employees to read addresses and notice where they're delivering things (or they hire thieves - I hope this one enjoyed the lancets). I'd review the lowlife who signed for the items, but SurePost didn't give the actual address they delivered to, just the city. Moral: Don't trust SurePost with anything above minor importance.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Despite several requests, the UPS driver insists on speeding down our 'dead end' road. I emailed a complaint and now he's 'paying us back' by not delivering to our home. We paid for next day delivery from Spring. The first day it was stated online that delivery was not made because we were not home (and we were home ALL day). The next day (today) the supervisor guaranteed to us the package was back on the truck and would be delivered. Yet the driver reported online that the address was missing from the package so he could not deliver it. Then we were told that the package was not on the truck.

And finally were told that our driveway was blocked. ALL LIES. For if the 'driveway' was blocked (NOT), he must have had the package on the truck so he knew where he needed to go. If the package was on the truck, why did he report that it was not on the truck. UPS is supposed to provide a delivery service. My home is totally accessible and always has been. I will never again select them as a delivery service and suggest nobody else does. They are dishonest and not a 'service' at all.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Worst customer service in the business! Delivered 3 days late! Never updated their website. Will only give you approximate time of delivery. I had to take 2 days off from work and cancel a doctor’s appointment because they are unreliable and incompetent.

Original review: July 24, 2018

My UPS tracking number said that my package was delivered at 7PM last night. Of course it was never delivered. Luckily I have cameras on my property so I played back the camera footage and I see the UPS truck pull up across the street that is on the side of my home. The UPS driver never get out of the truck. The driver sits there for about 4 minutes and then drives off. I assume he scanned my package but could not find my home and updated his system to show “delivered.” But again, the driver never gets out the truck to even try to look around to search for the right address.

I saw no effort made to deliver my package except for the fact that he arrived on my street at the stated “delivery” time. I called UPS and was told that they can show “delivered” up to 36 hours before the package actually being delivered. Did not know this was a policy. I will be looking this up for myself. However, the following day the tracking number was later changed to show “out for delivery”. The verdict is still out on this but this review is just to share my experience and thank God I was smart enough to install exterior home cameras.

Original review: July 24, 2018

UPS was not able to deliver my order for 3 days, there were not one UPS truck in our area and when I checked my tracking status and finally spoke to a rep, he could not even give an answer why the delay was for. Their delivery/truck staff are the worse, they are always late and have bad attitude.

Original review: July 21, 2018

I am IRATE at this moment with UPS!!! I was tracking my package all day since Saturday morning 7-21-2018. My app said it was on transit. ON TIME! Well I been waiting all FREAKING DAY for this package. I finally call the operator and she says "Sorry it was a delay. Not until Monday!" WTF??? Nobody could not call me! Email me! Or TEXT ME!!! Is this the kind of service UPS GIVES? This will be my last time with me using them. SCREW THEM!

Original review: July 21, 2018

I bought jewelry with a 1-2 days rush delivery order. It will not come until the July 23, 2018. It got shipped on the 18th and I need it at the 20th. So far UPS is doing a good job... for irritating me. 8 out of 10 deliveries I got from them are either late or a bit damaged. Don't expect your package to be on time when they are making a delivery. They are too slow. USPS is even more reliable than this. Remember UPS is not worth it. I even got an experience where it is raining and I came back home and found my package at the gate and not at the shade part (where there is a roof), and my package is soaking wet. Overall if can give a negative star I would.

UPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

UPS was founded in a Seattle basement by two teenagers in 1907 as a home delivery packaging service. Today, UPS is an international company that utilizes technology to make it easy for consumers and businesses to send and receive packages when and where they need them.

• UPS store: Developed in 1980 as an alternative to the United States post office, the UPS store has more than 4,700 locations throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Along with shipping services, the stores offer services such as printing, copying and business services, making them a convenient one-stop-shop for businesses and consumers alike.

• My UPS: Create a free My UPS account to keep track of deliveries, set preferences and receive notifications when a package is on its way. This feature is available for consumers and businesses.

• Small business solutions: UPS offers several solutions for small businesses, including help with tracking and billing, returns solutions for retailers including e-commerce businesses and timesaving technologies.

• UPS Internet shipping: Streamline the process of shipping for your business with UPS Internet shipping. This feature helps you automate paperwork, create a bill of lading for freight shipments using saved addresses and commodity information and take care of printing labels and paying for shipping online.

• UPS World Ease: Ideal for businesses that frequently send shipments overseas, UPS World Ease simplifies the process of international shipping by allowing you to ship packages to multiple recipients within one country or within the European Union as one shipment that will clear customs as a single transaction. This can speed up the shipping process greatly and make it more efficient for you to continue shipping overseas.

• Best for: UPS is best for small businesses, particularly those that regularly ship overseas or domestically.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

Atlanta
GA
www.ups.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business