2.05/5
Based on 1,038 ratings submitted in the last year

4011 United Parcel Service - UPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Placed order on Sept. 15th. Received confirmation that my item would be delivered Friday, Sept. 21st. Checked tracking through the 21st and it had not been updated since the 19th. I signed up for updates to be sent to my mobile device. Have yet to receive any updates via mobile. Checked tracking this past Saturday, the 22nd, and saw that the delivery had changed to Monday, Sept. 24th (with a note that I had requested a different delivery date). Keep in mind I had NOT contacted UPS or asked for a different delivery date.

This morning (Sept. 24th), I check the status again, and it now shows the item arriving tomorrow, Sept. 25th. Of course, the item is expensive and also requires a signature. I'm not going to be home. So I called UPS to find out why the numerous delivery date changes. What a joke! So now I'm left trying to figure out how to get my package that SHOULD arrive tomorrow (unless of course it changes again with NO notice). UPS is horrible. Choose FedEx or USPS if you have a choice. It will make your life so much easier.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

This is the second time the driver has failed to do their job. UPS driver sent me an email saying package could not be delivered because security doors are locked. If the driver had took the time to even check there are no security doors on this property. Nothing is locked. There haven't been security doors on this building in over 5 years. This is the exact same thing that happened about 3 months ago. Thanks to this driver's failure to get off his butt and check to see if the door actually is locked. My kid will not get their package until after their birthday. I'm contacting the Better Business Bureau, DORA Department of regulatory agency. I will also be contacting corporate office by phone call. Thanks for not doing your job and letting a kid down. :-(

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Where do I start! I have had to call into the distribution center to make complaints regarding the driver who fails to look up my profile stating signature not required please leave package at my door. Half of the time the driver doesn’t ring my doorbell when I am home ignores the profile set up to allow packages to be delivered without a signature. What happens far too often is I’m home I have a doorbell which records and takes a picture of anyone who rings it additionally it rings to my home phone so that if I am not near the door I can tell whoever is at the door that I will be right there. What does happen is the driver doesn’t ring my doorbell. He may be knocked lightly and then runs off only to leave me with no package and a sticker telling me he was there but I was not. I have even gone to the extreme writing a note stating, "Please leave package. No signature required" or "Please ring doorbell I am home."

What makes this whole situation even more frustrating is the supervisor at our local distribution center fails to even take this situation and all of my situation seriously. Instead he wastes my time having me send him pictures of my doorbells call log proving his driver does not ring the bell then that said supervisor refuses to return my call and email when this was at his request.

What makes this whole situation even more frustrating is the supervisor at our local distribution center fails to even take this situation and all of my situation seriously instead he wastes my time having me send him pictures of my doorbells call log proving his driver does not ring the bell then that said supervisor refuses to return my call and email when this was at his request. Does anyone at this company take their customers seriously or even want to improve?!? Based on what I have read in the other reviews it clearly appears there’s an issue and UPS is not taking any of these claims seriously. I love products and wish most companies would switch to them because their customer service and drivers are exceptional.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

If you are utilizing UPS for delivery of a package, do not use the tracking package date of delivery while looking up when your shipment will arrive. It is not reliable. I ordered a package with a stated date of delivery of 18th, only to receive a call later asking me if I would like to schedule a delivery date for some time that week. I for one rely on the package tracking data due to my occupation and scheduling around when my package arrives if it needs a signature. If you check on the business reviews of UPS, one would actually find numerous complaints about this service. To add to this, after contacting customer service regarding data (found on the UPS website) pertaining to failed delivery of an item on the estimated ship date, they had no idea what I was talking about. I am unsatisfied with service from UPS.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

UPS was scheduled to make a delivery of an important piece of equipment to my home office. As per the tracking number, the delivery would be made by 10:15 AM. The day before on the UPS customer site I created an electronic signature, and to double check, spoke to a customer representative. I was told that because I requested an electronic delivery signature, that the equipment would be left without need of my physical signature. This morning I found a note taped to my door that the delivery could not be made as I was not available to sign. The fact is that no one rang my bell and waited for me to answer the door!

I immediately contacted UPS and a different representative said that what the rep told me yesterday was not true; that I did need to sign; the rep also told me that the delivery person is NOT REQUIRED to wait for me to answer the door NOR TO RETURN TO MY OFFICE! I explained that this was important and I could not do my job today without it, but received the usual non-caring response that the delivery would be 'attempted' again tomorrow, or I could travel 40 miles after 7:00 PM to pick the equipment up myself which still left me with UPS holding my equipment for another day. So I lost a day's work thanks to UPS. Unfortunately for me, I had no choice in the delivery option as the company automatically uses this useless United Parcel Service, which is no service at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about UPS?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I ordered some items from Italy and the vendor sent through UPS. The package was sent out on 8 Aug 2018 and it left Italy on the same day. My package went to Germany on 9 Aug 2018 then to China and left China on 10 Aug 2018 to Singapore and my parcel reached Singapore on the same day. However, my parcel just stayed in the warehouse till date. I started calling UPS since end August and a few customer service officers have spoken to me. Some say they will put a note for the delivery to contact me or supervisor to contact me. One or two called but the remaining times no one called. Just to be clear, I called a few times as no one call me back after a few days. Finally one lady called me and say that she will settle the issue and send the package to me the next day and again nothing arrive. So many promises and all broken. I have lost total faith in using UPS and I am going to advise my vendor never to use UPS anymore.

18 Sep 2018, my package is still in their warehouse. I think this is the most ridiculous and worst customer service I ever encountered. No way I am going to use UPS ever. Today I called again and requested to speak to the higher level. Spoke to a guy name Raj and he say he will get back to me by 2 pm. This is utmost frustrating as I really do not the world of time to keep doing this. I will go on social media again if this is not resolved by today AGAIN.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I am completely satisfied with the product and would rate the product 5 Stars. However, the UPS Freight that SunSetter uses is the worst service in existence. I have ordered two shades in a period of three months and UPS lost both shades. Dealing with UPS is extremely frustrating. SunSetter's response is an apology, a new order and shipment through the same UPS Freight that lost the previous two shades. Extremely poor attention to customer service by using this freight company.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Book was shipped with fragile all over it. Delivered looking like it has been throw out of a moving vehicle. Computer inside completely smashed up. Plus it was shipped to five different locations before getting to me. Submitted a claim and haven't got any response.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I had stopped using UPS because I found their shipping costs were considerably more than other services. However, recently they had to pick up a package at my residence (scheduled by someone else and too large to be dropped off). It was supposed to be picked up between 12 PM and 5 PM but they never showed. When I called the 800 number, they said they would pick it up the next day, 9 AM-6 PM but could not narrow down that window! The UPS service rep was difficult to deal with and didn't seem to care that I had to wait at home ALL DAY, for a second time.

At 6 PM the next day, they still had not picked up the package, so I called, and they said their system was showing it had already been picked up. Very interesting, considering web tracking showed it had not arrived at UPS yet. They sent an urgent message out to call me and said it would be picked up that night. No one called. At 11 AM the next day, I called again and was told they “were unable to get in touch with me” the night before. I hadn’t left my house and there were no missed calls on my phone. Do I verified they had the correct phone number. They put in another request to contact me. At 5 PM (6 hours later), I called the LOCAL UPS service number and let them know I had been waiting for 3 days for them to pick up this package!!! They showed up at 5:15 PM (15 minutes later). Terrible customer service and truly one of worst customer experiences I’ve ever dealt with. Stay away from UPS!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Jan 2018 I submitted a claim to UPS, here's why. My wife was pulling out of our driveway when the UPS driver (Terry **) pulled up. He had a package and stuck it in my wife's back seat of her Yukon Denali. Not knowing what it was she left it overnight for me, so the next day I went to get it out and discovered that the contents had been busted. It was a Lawn Mower battery and the acid had seeped through the paper, bubble wrap, and cardboard onto my leather seat. I noticed that my seat had started to deteriorate so I quickly took pictures of the box, contents, and seat.

As time went on the seat gradually got worse and I took more pictures. I have record of over multiple calls to UPS being promised that it would addressed and someone would call me back in an hour with zero response. I've submitted UPS Facebook messages and spoken with managers Matt in Rome, receptionists, and managers (Terry **). All being promised that first thing in the morning it would be resolved, I'll work on it for you, yada yada yada... All getting the same dead end road and never hearing from them again. I have sent numerous pictures. Customer service is garbage!!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I was awaiting a perishable package of medication. The first fail was When the driver came by, he never knocked or rang my doorbell and simply left the "we missed you" slip. Second, I called UPS to have the package held and have my parents pick it up for me since I was in work and unable to easily leave. They told me that I was the only one allowed to pick it up. Explained that it was meds and perishable, and didn't want to let it sit till after work. I told them I would verify both mine and my parent's identity however they wanted and also explained that the doorbell was never even rung for delivery. Didn't care, no exceptions. I said fine, I'll find a way to pick it up in the morning.

Third problem, I checked in the morning and called, and was told that the package was again out for midday delivery despite me being at work and requesting to hold it. The whole reason for holding it and picking it up was because it was highly perishable meds, and I didn't want it to sit around or be on the truck for another day. So now I have to have my parents sit at my house for delivery so it can be put in the fridge asap. This whole experience has been inept and difficult.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

Never on time, and they still charge you the fees. Ordered 2 beds for my daughters, one shipped with FedEx, one shipped with UPS...FedEx delivered on time, UPS...still waiting! One daughter is in her bed, the other one is on an air mattress on the floor. Save yourself the disappointment and ship with FedEx!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Expected two packages to be delivered to my home address coming from USA and since there is no one home I asked to be re-routed to my work address; I wasted 2 days on the phone with them, everyone I spoke to from just an agent to supervisor say something different, they don't know English, service is really poor and dumb system they use. I ended up driving to UPS depot for 70 km to pick up my packages - can't trust them anymore.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

They never fill their delivery windows, two day shipping turns into 5+ days. Estimated delivery times might as well be a miracle rather than a estimate. UPS only exist so USPS isnt a monopoly. ** UPS.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I went to a local UPS store to ship my letter from US to China on August 13th, and I chose the 1-3 day worldwide express for $145.85. I looked at the receipt I got from the cashier, it stated the guaranteed delivery date will be local time on August 18th, which is fine because my brother's flight back to US is on the 20th. My brother need the letter to apply for Marriageability Affidavit before he travel back to US. The letter took 8 days to arrived, I had to delay my brother's flight which cost at least $250. If he travel back to China another time, it will be another THOUSAND dollars which UPS will not cover for sure.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

The letter took 8 days to arrived, I had to delay my brother's flight which cost at least $200. If he travel back to China another time, it will be another THOUSAND dollars which UPS will not cover for sure. If they don't know how to ship a letter on time, please don't promise anything, my friend used FedEx to deliver a package, and it took only two days to China, quicker than he was expected; USPS told me they are not able to delivered it in two days, they give away the profit to other company, they didn't disappoint me because they are much more honest than UPS. They are not going to refund any of my money, and the saddest part is, they will lose more customer for continue being not responsible and inability. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

We used UPS to ship bone china from Canada to the US. The boxes arrived timely but they were smashed and broken. The contents that had been kept in mint condition for 50 years were had several broken pieces. A claim was submitted and pictures sent to itemize the damage. We bought insurance luckily but it took 1 1/2 months to get the replacement value of the items and then it was sent to the franchisee owner. Customer service does not communicate with the customer only saying it is in progress. It is poor that the customer has to do so much follow up on a claim when UPS was at fault. They need to look seriously at how they handle claims and most importantly how they handle their shipments.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

UPS delivery is Monday to Friday, 8:00-5:00, if you are at work, not at home, they would attempt to do this again and again... I told them I am working, I was told to pick up at Brantford before 6:00 Monday to Friday, I am living in Hamilton, 30 min drive away, no pick up in Hamilton. This too bad. I had import charges, I got form and cleared at board service agency, I emailed paperwork with stamp to lady "Ms. **", she said I am all cleared, no more charges. But when I called the next day for delivery questions, the other lady said I still own for duty charges, which I cleared, they have bad communication inside company. I called six to seven times for this delivery matters, some agent's English is hard to understand, voice too low, and not hear, I asked them to repeat couple times, agent simply dropped line on me!! I have to dial again to talk to another agent, repeat my story again. UPS need better management. Do not use UPS, or you will regret!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I sent a perishable package from Boise, Idaho to my daughter in Lakewood, WA with the express understanding that it would be delivered in 3 days. UPS did not deliver yesterday as promised, and when I finally waded thru MyUPS site I found the driver had stated that he could not deliver due to needing a code to get in her apt complex. I called UPS customer service and had great difficulty speaking with a live rep, but finally did. She sent a message to the driver to go to the office or call my daughter's number to deliver, but she said there was no guarantee he would read it. HUH?

Just talked to my daughter who spoke with the office - they said office was manned all day and that NO UPS truck came yesterday, and that if he did UPS already has a key to get into the complex, they do so all the time, else come to the office. I thought as much, this isn't the first time UPS has delivered there. So this is pure bull. I am unhappy that the produce I sent here is likely very deteriorated and we had to go thru all this stress, just to be lied to. And MAYBE that driver will figure out how to deliver today, or maybe not. While the package rots in a hot truck with an expired ice pack. There is a serious flaw in their delivery system. Their web page and their customer service is not up to industry standards either. This is no way to do business. Going forward I will use FedEx or USPS.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

Didn't bother to ring the doorbell on the first occasion (I was home at the time he supposedly came to the door), delivered at 9:48 am at second occasion (even though I was told it would be delivered at the end of the day, so obviously I missed it then), no response on questions via email, app doesn't work properly. Overall terrible service and delivery, never had such a bad experience with a postal service and that says a lot.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

UPS you already know your service sucks by these reviews. What is obvious is you really dont care. I canceled 2 appointments today waiting on your driver to deliver my package. He or she never showed and had never to send me an attempt to deliver notification. Not only do you provide BAD service but your employees are LIARS! I will try to choose other options for my deliveries. No trust in brown anymore.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had a package get lost, which is fine as I understand they deal with millions daily. My complaint is that every time I call for any kind of update, I get absolutely no help. I understand when the package is lost there is not much they can say. I'm pissed because even after it was found, they returned it to the sender when I verified the sender told them to send it my way. Received absolutely no help yet again. Why have a customer service department when it seem their only goal is to get you off the phone as fast as possible while providing ZERO help. Save your money and invest in better ways to actually not lose packages in the first place.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I was out of town on a Friday and UPS left an expensive package at my door or so they claim even though my signature was required. In other words the UPS driver screwed up. Even though this was a rather simple open and shut case, after 13 days UPS still gives me the runaround saying they are investigating. After pressing UPS for details as to this "investigation" they admitted the driver who screwed up is doing the investigation! What is he investigating? His screw up?

Making matters worse the only representatives I can reach through the UPS 800-number are all in the Philippines. This is the kind of sending American jobs overseas that should be prohibited! I don't need to get a runaround from someone in the Philippines who apparently doesn't understand anything I'm saying. UPS really sucks. I learned this a while ago and only use FedEx now. Unfortunately other shippers are still using UPS. Hopefully they'll start UPS sucks and switched to FedEx. Even the post office now has gotten better than UPS.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Ordered a laptop with 2 day shipping. Tracking said it would arrive Thurs. It didn't. Called Friday, still wasn't on truck. Agent ASSURED me it would arrive Saturday or Tuesday (holiday). It did NOT. Called Tuesday - same crap. Said it would arrive Wed. It did NOT. They said I could drive to a town 45 minutes away to pick it up. They sent me a postcard in the mail to my address, stating they couldn't deliver the package because they didn't have my ADDRESS. Same address they delivered the postcard to! Incompetence beyond belief. Called to try to get someone who could assist and just got agents who kept telling me the same line. Had to cancel my order and now I have to find another laptop. If all your business does is deliver packages, then it is TOTAL FAILURE if you can't deliver a package.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Every time I order a package from UPS get held up one reason or another. I was to have a package delivered yesterday. It did not get delivered. No one tried to contact me. I contacted them this morning. They told me that they couldn't find the street address. Mind you I've had plenty of packages delivered so then I said, "Ok well now you have the street a had just ones are gonna get delivered." The lady on the phone stated, "Tomorrow." I said, "Well then hold it at the UPS location because I need to pick it up. I need this package." She said, "The soonest you can pick it up would be tomorrow." I said, "You're telling me it's not on a truck for delivery. It's sitting in the warehouse but I can't pick it up." She then proceeded to tell me I need to be more patient. I can't have everything at once.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Has a company ever forced you to sleep on the floor? Well, UPS forced me to sleep on the floor, and it was not fun. I ordered a Casper Mattress for the apartment I was going to be moving in to. I just moved and all of my stuff was being shipped across the country, so I did not have a mattress and Casper seemed like it would be a great new mattress for my new place. Casper sent the mattress UPS. The tracking number showed it was going to be delivered on a Tuesday. I was staying in a hotel since I had nothing and the new mattress was going to arrive on a Tuesday, so I checked out of my hotel on Tuesday expecting the mattress. The UPS delivery driver showed up and dropped off two boxes...but the issue is that it was only the pillow and sheets. No mattress.

I called the UPS 1800 number and spoke with someone who said they were unable to deliver any packages to my address due to a "special event"... Oddly enough I was at the apartment all day AND received two packages from UPS already. There were no special events going on. They made it up to try and gloss over the fact I did not receive my package. But I needed my package, so I called them back.

So, I spoke with the supervisor and he advised me to call the local UPS location. The local UPS location said they forgot to load the package on the truck when they sent it out and weren't sure where the package was anymore. I told them I really needed the package because I did not want to sleep on the floor. They said they would look around and try and find the package. Well...they looked around and never called me back. So I called the 1800 number again and was told by the supervisor "well, you need to sleep on the floor because there is nothing we can do for you. There is no way you are getting your package. You can call back tomorrow". Keep in mind, this was about 3 hours worth of being on the phone trying to get someone to help me.

The rep at the local UPS location was extremely unprofessional and said that he had no interest in helping me, and that there were other customers he had to assist, and hung up. I called back several more times, pleading with them that I needed the package otherwise I would be forced to sleep on the floor. They all said "we understand, but we can not help". I can earnestly say I am never going to use UPS again. When you are going to ship a package and you start to google a place to ship packages around you and see a UPS store is closer than a FedEx store or the post office...please remember this post and choose any other option besides UPS. I am going to have to sleep on the floor tonight because the UPS customer service has no ability to help and no willingness to go above and beyond.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The next day delivery I paid $106 for never arrived. Was lost. And I cannot get my money back. I have been back to the store twice to try to track the package down and twice to try to get my money back. First they told me an investigation was under way and I would have to wait until it was closed (about 2 1/2 weeks after I tried to mail the package) before they could reimburse me. Now they tell me the claim was closed without a refund and a new claim will have to be opened and it will take some days. This is ridiculous. Just give me back my $106 already and don't make me wait and have to make a fifth trip back to the store! Not to mention the lost passport meant a lost vacation and the cost to replace it for the folks on the receiving end. I will never mail anything with UPS again. Do not use UPS. They deserve zero stars.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have had a horrible experience with UPS. They told me on the phone that I would receive a 10% discount using Promo code EASY at the customer center 38 miles away. Got there at 1pm. They don't open till 3pm. Waited 2 hours in parking lot. It obviously did not work. Guy says call customer service. Call "customer service" to treated horrible and told they can not help. This conversation went on for an hour. Being told that I should have decided not to ship with them it's my fault. Then I was told they would reprimand the poor girl who made a mistake and they would also reprimand the guy who told me to call customer service for help. Phone call ended with UPS stealing my money. I was going to ship FedEx. I went with UPS because they were cheaper after the 10% discount. Please boycott this horrible company until they decide to get someone there that is willing to help the customers out.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

I have been have problems with UPS. They never deliver my package to my front door. It is always at the end of my driveway where it can be stolen and I have a long driveway. I feel that this is just laziness! I never had any problems with FedEx. They always seem to deliver my packages just fine. Don’t know why UPS can’t do that!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

It’s been years since a UPS delivery person has rung my doorbell to let me know there were packages delivered but it happened today. I yelled thank you as the delivery person returned to her truck and she yelled back, "No problem". So nice. Wish there were more UPS delivery people like HER.

UPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

UPS was founded in a Seattle basement by two teenagers in 1907 as a home delivery packaging service. Today, UPS is an international company that utilizes technology to make it easy for consumers and businesses to send and receive packages when and where they need them.

• UPS store: Developed in 1980 as an alternative to the United States post office, the UPS store has more than 4,700 locations throughout the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Along with shipping services, the stores offer services such as printing, copying and business services, making them a convenient one-stop-shop for businesses and consumers alike.

• My UPS: Create a free My UPS account to keep track of deliveries, set preferences and receive notifications when a package is on its way. This feature is available for consumers and businesses.

• Small business solutions: UPS offers several solutions for small businesses, including help with tracking and billing, returns solutions for retailers including e-commerce businesses and timesaving technologies.

• UPS Internet shipping: Streamline the process of shipping for your business with UPS Internet shipping. This feature helps you automate paperwork, create a bill of lading for freight shipments using saved addresses and commodity information and take care of printing labels and paying for shipping online.

• UPS World Ease: Ideal for businesses that frequently send shipments overseas, UPS World Ease simplifies the process of international shipping by allowing you to ship packages to multiple recipients within one country or within the European Union as one shipment that will clear customs as a single transaction. This can speed up the shipping process greatly and make it more efficient for you to continue shipping overseas.

• Best for: UPS is best for small businesses, particularly those that regularly ship overseas or domestically.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs