1.45/5
Based on 468 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

6917 USPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

USPS Priority was supposed to delivery my goods with tracking number ** two weeks back but as we speak I haven't received them, the last time they were scanned in Johannesburg on the 4th of June. Mind you I paid for priority delivery and according to the tracking system the package left South Africa on the evening of the 4th to Botswana. Up to today it hasn't reached the country yet. It's a 4 hour drive from SA to Botswana. This is embarrassing.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Generally, I am pretty happy with USPS service, but this is the kind of thing that drives me crazy: I ordered an item online on June 13th. It was picked up from the merchant at 5:42 am on the 14th. At 6:52 am, on June 16th, it arrived at the Post Office in the town next to mine which is just 7 miles away. At 3:39 pm on the same day it arrived at a USPS Regional Facility 25 miles away. At 9:09 pm the package "Departed USPS Regional Facility." At 9:26 am on June 18th, the package arrived at another USPS Regional Facility which is 72 miles away from me! Why is my package getting farther away instead of closer??? Now they expect to deliver the package that was only 7 miles away from me on June 16th by 8 pm on June 19th. This kind of service is pathetic.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

The experience with USPS have been horrible!!! Several times they confirmed delivery of packages ordered from Amazon when there were no deliveries. The latest was a confirmation of delivery of a book and they only delivered an empty opened envelope. To try to get some action from USPS is almost impossible. They call you and assured you that they will investigate the issue and you never hear from them again. I will give them ZERO but there is no place for that rate.

Original review: June 16, 2018

So I am a collector. I order things off of eBay all the time, and I can tell you that in the past 3 years since living in my new apartment, none of the packages that need a signature have not been attempted to be delivered. Today, the tracking number stated that the package was out for delivery. I live on the second floor of a three family building. I go downstairs at 8:00 Am and not just unlock the front door but crack it open. I wait all day for the knock on the door, which never comes. I go downstairs and in my mailbox there is an unable to deliver card which I have come to be too familiar with. They didn’t even try to deliver the damn package.

I have had sellers use UPS and FedEx and I never have had a problem. They come up, knock, I sign and it’s done. How hard is it to go up 10 steps? I know I may sound like I'm letting a small thing get to me, but it’s about principle. How lazy do you have to be? There have been many times that I place a sign on the door to place the package inside of the door and not on the porch, as some items are expensive and I don’t want them to be stolen. Do they listen? Nope. They leave it on the porch without a care in the world. I have come to the point that I am going to start asking my sellers to not ship through USPS.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have had multiple issues with USPS. There are the issues where I've selected to get something in X days and it doesn't show up in X days. It shows up in X + several days. Then there are the issues where they've said they've delivered a package, but they've delivered it to Narnia instead of my address. Then there are the times they've just straight-up lost packages.

Let's also not forget that time I shipped something from the US to a military base overseas. I was there when the item was packed with packing materials. When the item arrived, all the packing materials were gone and replaced with several random USPS envelopes. The box had clearly been opened and the item had been jostled around so much so that the filling inside of it was coming out.

Then there are the times when they forwarded my package instead of delivering it to the address I chose because my mail was being forwarded, even though it was a package and not mail. To top all of that off, they broke and/or lost the package and I had to speak with Amazon to get the entire order reordered and sent to a completely different address. They only stay open until 5 when most of us work until 5.

Here's the best one though -- they are not required to walk upstairs. That's right, if you live up steps, they don't have to walk up them to deliver your package. They can leave pink slips instead. This is what has most recently happened to me. I started getting a bunch of pink slips instead of getting packages. I try to get redelivery online and it says that my address is not eligible for online redelivery. This is odd considering I had just requested an online redelivery the week before. I filled out the pink slips and left them in my mailbox. Guess where they still are? My mail box. I know they opened the panel to put mail in. They just left them in there. So now my only option is to go to the post office and pick up these packages. What's the problem with that? The post office closes at 5. I work until 5. I always work until 5 and I'm sure as heck not taking vacation time to go to the post office.

So the takeaway from that is that if you live upstairs, without an elevator, USPS is too lazy to walk upstairs. They can leave you pink slips instead. If you can't get to the post office, tough luck. I would understand if we were talking about some package I ordered that weighed about forty pounds, but we're talking about boxes that weigh two or three pounds, maybe. They can't walk upstairs and carry two pounds to my door. UPS and FedEx don't have any problems and they have carried some heavy stuff to my door. I am tempted to contact sellers every time I order something online to inform them that USPS does not deliver packages to my house and if they still ship it USPS I'm tempted to just ask for a refund because I'm never going to get that item.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: June 14, 2018

Terrible... Simply the worst delivery system available today. Paid extra for Priority or overnight delivery? Forget it...don't even dream that you will receive your item on time. You have just paid extra money for absolutely nothing. Excited because tracking gave you an actual delivery date? Forget it... That's only a day they THINK they may deliver it so don't wait by the window. This service has gone straight downhill over the years. Different mail delivery person every other day, different mail delivery times, sometimes no mail delivery at all on my entire street. Use anything, FedEx, UPS, Carrier Pigeons, but if you expect something to actually arrive on time - do not even consider USPS. One star - only because I had to fill in something there...otherwise "0" stars.

Original review: June 12, 2018

International Priority Mail Express is a total SHAM. Paid $63 to send 2 pieces of paper to Berlin 3-5 day delivery. The tracking claims it arrives on time, when I ask my fiance it's not there. After spend an hour on the phone, I finally get to start "service inquiry". They find out it has been stuck in customs and was never delivered. They refuse to give me a refund of any kind.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Ordered a book and a music CD from Amazon that under Amazon orders it said package containing both the book and CD were left in the resident's mailbox on the date promised for delivery. Went to mailbox today and the book and music CD were not there. So who are the thieves, the delivery driver from Amazon or the USPS mail carrier? Unfortunately we live in an area of Southwest California saturated with Mexicans who have proven on more than one occasion that they routinely steal from Amazon and the very unreliable USPS. The workers at our local post office barely speak English and cater to other Mexicans over me, who am **.

Original review: June 11, 2018

99.9% or more of the mail and parcels go straight from sender to recipient, within the estimated delivery time. But, if something goes wrong, there is no way you can talk to a human, either through the 800# or the local office (mine is in Maspeth NY) phone, the line is busy at all times. For my parcel, the website shows me "June 8, 2018 at 12:02 pm Forwarded REGO PARK, NY." REGO PARK is the neighbor office to mine, in Maspeth, both less than 2 miles from my home. I have no way, by phone or from website to find where my parcel is, I could pick it myself if I could talk to a human in USPS... The 800 number may have waiting time of 1 hour to one hour and 35 minutes. When I choose to be called back, a cynical robot calls me after half hour to tell me I can find the information about my parcel on their website.

Original review: June 11, 2018

The company regularly fails to make deliveries, it will randomly give addresses new postal codes or worse street addresses. You can't speak to a human, I'm pretty sure the whole company is run by bots. They have not managed to get a single delivery attempted correctly and I live in downtown Austin, not even a backwater village in the middle of nowhere. Every single interaction with this company ends in failure. They are losers. Sad. I'd rather use a carrier pigeon than give my stuff to USPS.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Disappointed, frustrated and embarrassed by USPS. I live in MI. In last two months they lost a package from my family in Ukraine to me and two packages from me to them. All disappeared without trace on US territory in Chicago/Detroit international distribution centers. There are hundreds of complaints about similar situations on their website.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I'm not sure if it's just the Rockland, Massachusetts USPS that's incompetent or the entire system, but, again, they've not only lost a valuable package but given me the runaround in the process of figuring out what happened to it. To start, the entire experience of dealing with the staff at the Rockland office was terrible. When I asked simple questions, they were surly and uncooperative. When I asked that the packages (containing fine glass pieces) be handled carefully, they failed to listen to me and actually dropped a box on the floor in front of me. Now, after paying $290.00 to ship the packages from Massachusetts to Ohio, they've lost them. This is after I requested and paid for expedited delivery.

Complaining to USPS headquarters amounted to nothing--they just gave me the runaround and sent me back to the Rockland store! I think the biggest problem here is the people working for this organization think they're entitled to jobs and are not held accountable. Luckily, the glassware was insured, but it doesn't alter the fact that it's all missing. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Rockland employees has it in his possession. Awful, regrettable experience all around.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I got my University’s daughter diploma completely bended. In the envelope there is a big capital letters saying: “DO NOT BEND“. Before that I got all my daughter’s graduation pictures (very expensive) with the same problem. May you be careful next time please?

Original review: June 7, 2018

Terrible experience sending a package to UK. They sent the package to Brazil and held it there for 2 weeks. They couldn't tell me how it got there with any degree of certainty and their inquiry response times are mediocre at best. They also couldn't guarantee if they could recover the package. I am very disappointed with USPS. The reason I used them originally was cost but it I regret it now. Even if they can recover the package, I don't think I will ever use them to ship anything significant/important in the future. I was also on hold for 1 hour and then they told me I needed to be transferred to different department without a direct number...

Original review: June 6, 2018

Do not ship anything of value in a large box priority or any other way. If you do, you should make sure to add insurance so that you do not lose hundreds of dollars. I bought the box at the USPS post office and taped it with parcel shipping tape that I also bought from them. The box was to arrive in 2 days. I drove back to the Post office to state that when I punch in the tracking number it says it is still at the Santa Clarita Processing Center. This is where it disappeared. After spending over an hour with the customer service and literally filling out multiple forms, I still have not received any money back.

The shipping was $60.60 and the items inside cost more than $240. I have driven back to the Post office at least five times since I shipped the package the beginning of April. The Post Office is unable to assist in any capacity except to give a customer service department 800 number. I tried to submit my claim online; however, it did not accept my mailing date. It was a glitch in the system, because it was dated within the 60-days after mailing date. As a result, I submitted forms by mail. Unfortunately, when I talked to them a week later, they were unable to locate this form that I shipped to them in the USPS self addressed envelope to Atlanta, GA. After talking to them yet another time, I was mailed two claim forms, where I had to list each item separately and attach original receipts.

Now the question is... do I pay an additional amount to mail my claim forms to their Saint Louis, MO office? Registered mail or perhaps Express. This experience has been very frustrating and I am so disappointed in my government. Recommendation: Send parcels UPS or FedEx and remember to ensure it for the full amount you spent on the items inside.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I will explain what happen to me very detailed. I do not want this happen to anybody else. USPS is a company that does not take responsibility if they lose your package. I really want to avoid more people getting affected with their terrible services. I sent a package from Phoenix, AZ to Houston TX, I paid the 2nd day priority mail service which includes a 50 dollar insurance and they lost the package. When I checked the tracking information it said package has been delivered, I checked with the addressee and the leasing office, nothing had been delivered. When I submitted a claim online and explained very detailed the information and... guess what the replay was? "According with the tracking information the package was delivered". This is just offensive and unacceptable.

I called customer service to see if there was another way to get this solved and I had to wait 1 hour and 14 minutes on hold to be able to talk to a customer service representative. When I finally talked to a customer service representative she told me that she was sorry but she could not verify the information I was giving to her due the system was down. "AWESOME". I went ahead and give it another try online and appealed one more time. They took about 1 week to respond and again I got denied, this time with no explanation. This whole process took me about a month. The 2nd day priority mail has a 50 bucks insurance, but it did not matter. They do not care about their customers. This is without any doubt the worst shipping company in USA. If you really care about what you send DO NOT USE THEM. NEVER.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Paid for priority mail and was told it would be at its destination in 2 days. 7 days later, it's still not arrived. And for some reason, it's been sitting at the same hub for more than 2 days now. When you call the customer service number, you go through a replaying theme that does not get you through! Then, if you do get through, it's a 1 hour and 45 minutes wait! No kidding!!!! The clerks in the post office are rude and give the minimum amount of service as possible. I still have no idea where my package is. And it has highly sensitive items in it. I only used USPS due to the fact that it was shipping to a PO BOX.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I finally got so shocked at what they delivered and we (my son-in-law) saw them deliver the a... box (hard to say box. Now look at image) that was destroyed. I was lucky in that what Amazon had shipped was 3 large bags of cat food and none of them were destroyed. BUT the image of the cans of cat food... 22 cans were destroyed. And finally today I found the ripped up bag in my mail box. DESTROY USPS since they don't care one bit about the things that are delivered to us AND ARE PAID to to be delivered like this.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Went into the Stafford Location to drop off a package and get an acceptance receipt and was rudely told that if I wanted a receipt, I needed to go to another post office. (I posted video on YouTube) Why are you the postal workers so angry when paying customers print their own receipts from home? We still spending our money with the post office. The time the tellers spend explaining or arguing with a customer they could've gotten that customer out the door with a smile. SOME post offices want to charge anywhere from $1.05 to $1.25 to give you an acceptance receipt when we have already paid for our postage, and we only need a receipt to show our customers that their package is in the hands of the post office and is on its way. When packages come up missing the post office puts the blame back on the mailer who didn't get a receipt. Which is time costly, money lost from items mailed, and a bad view of the post office.

We did not create the online shipping. The post office did and the complaint is that "We get a discount if we print from home" so we have to pay more to get a package scanned and get a receipt to ensure our customers that their package is on the way. I record every phone call and I have some very rude calls when it comes to this case. These people can be very rude and nasty and make someone who is a victim of the post office mistake feel worse than things already are. The post office is a monopoly and it allows its workers to treat their customers is such a way.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I special ordered a product, have been anticipating its arrival. The day the package was sched. to arr., I go to the mailbox disappointed because I have all of my neighbor's mail. I check the tracking and it says "unable to deliver". After going through it with the post office, I get an excuse that the carrier THOUGHT my residence was vacant and my packages are in their forwarding facility and I will receive them according to how busy they are. Mind you, there are 2 houses across from me that are vacant, the only similarities in the addresses is the first number. It's been over a month and still nothing!!! I'm so annoyed and frustrated that I paid for my products and don't have them because of their negligence!

Original review: May 27, 2018

The package I mailed to a friend on March 21, 2018 showed tracking from March 21 to March 24 and then nothing. The package was not delivered and the post office official informed me the messages posted were automated and meant nothing. They could find no record of my package after the original scan into my local post office. Ultimately, I filed a claim for the missing package with receipts for the purchase of the item as well as the postal services purchased which included $50 insurance. My claim was processed and I received a check in the amount of $47.14. Surprisingly my package reappeared on May 11 and was delivered on May 12, but today I received the following email from the post office:

"Thank you for using USPS.com. The US Postal Service® received the search request you submitted and it's being processed. Your package has not yet been recovered, but every effort is being made to locate your item(s). Search Request Details: Request Date: 03/28/2018, Reference: Search ID # **, Tracking Number: **. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience. Thank you for using the U.S. Postal Service®."

I subsequently did a search putting in my Tracking number and received the following message: "Your item was delivered at the front door or porch at 12:24 pm on May 12, 2018 in NEWTON CENTER, MA 02459. Tracking Number: **, Delivered, Front Door/Porch. The post office should be required to advise customers that the tracking information shown online is automated and may not be accurate.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I was notified by my building management company that they did not receive my March rent money order. When I in fact did send it through USPS. I had to pay $22 dollars for each money order that I needed tracked (sent 2 money orders in the same envelope). When the money orders were tracked it found that one was cash with the original written company and the other was washed and then a new name was written in. This envelope was dropped into a public blue New York City mailbox and I understand that thieves fish out mail to obtain mail from boxes but as I went to file a complain with my local Police department, I was told by a Detective that outside public blue New York City mailbox keys were being sold to these thieves by NYC Postal workers.

Now I don't know which of the 2 possible ways were used to steal my money orders but I do know that I am out a month's rent until (IF) I get my money back from the Check cashing company (MoneyGram) That also wants me to pay $35 dollars a money order to file affidavits to have these money orders investigated with no guarantee that I will get my money back.

Resolution response: May 24, 2018

I finally received my package today, thank goodness I am now happy

Original review: May 23, 2018

USPS for how many times now has mishandled my mail, I ordered an item from Groupon which was said to be left in my mailbox, after I specifically wrote basement only on but was left where God knows, I am still waiting on this package and I haven't heard anything from USPS regarding this matter. I was told to contact Groupon instead. Now I have a very important package that was sent to me in Atlanta during my stay over the weekend of May 11-13th, I did not receive the package in time and spoke to security who received my package and placed it in the drop box as return to sender. The mail person picked up packages that day but, for some reason my package was never scanned. It has been two weeks now and still waiting on my package with no help from USPS. Someone has my package and needs to be liable for it. I need my package.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I was at 460 Boston Road Billerica USPS. I posted my passports to Canada embassy last evening. I had to send the prepaid envelope with the package so I could get my passports back once the job done. This guy who did the billing did not gave me the tracking number for the return airbill. I am so frustrated to the core when I saw there was no tracking number on the receipt. I went back and they said, "Sorry... Can’t do anything about it! I am very nervous now and will be panicked all the time till I get my passports back???

Original review: May 16, 2018

I live in an apartment and it was one knock on the door. When I checked it was for my neighbor and I noticed it was the USPS guy. I thought to myself dang one knock. This week I'm expecting a package. I leave the door open to hear them and I check my email and my email says delivered. I go outside a sticker on my screen door. I'm thinking WHAT!!! He didn't even knock!!!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Have lost my packages multiple times, have taken my packages out of the destination city, while it was said to be out for delivery, only to return it days later and the most basic forms of customer service are nowhere to be found. Only deal with the USPS if you have absolutely no other choice.

Original review: May 7, 2018

One of the stupid company in the world, after 4 months my package lost and nobody can answer. They lost my claim letter again. My opinion nobody can trust to this USPS post company, 100% lost package no money back, no responsibility.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Package from Great Britan - Chicago IL. The package says delivered but I didn't find the package when I got home from work. This is a very scary situation because the deliveries are not only merchandise bought online but also some invaluable things which are sent over. This is ridiculous. See the door number, and look at the instructions on the mailbox. It is not that hard. Is there a policy to leave them on the road if there is no one home? The status says delivered, should I check with all my neighbours down the block? Or should I assume it is lost? Try calling the customer service and they have a wait of 1hr 4 min.

Original review: May 3, 2018

4 packages in 3 weeks have gone missing. Literally just received a text a package was delivered to my mailbox as I’m sitting out front. You call and they take I for and all they say is, "We are starting an investigation." No how's about they deliver to the right home!! Companies are sick of sending out free merchandise to replace what they lost. I just want what’s I paid for!!

Original review: May 1, 2018

Two prescription meds ordered from Caremark have not arrived since being tracked a week ago in Philadelphia. Meds are for my son, a cancer patient. Dealing with 2 government entities here. Using Caremark through BCBS as a retired USPS employee (frustrating as well) and USPS. Tried unsuccessfully to file a complaint on postal website and after completing form it would not transmit. Called today and opted for a callback. Call back came in 20 min. But I was on hold for 2 hours and no one answered! Finally had to hang up. Caremark won’t fill until parcel is missing 11 days.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs