1.30/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

7088 USPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I don’t know why any business would use the US Postal Service. UPS and definitely FedEx are so much better. It makes your business look bad when their purchases are not delivered as stated. I order a lot of merchandise online. I’ve had decent success with UPS and great experiences with FedEx. The US Postal Service is a joke. It looks like they leave your packages laying in a facility for hours and sometimes days for no reason. The tracking is useless! STOP USING THEM!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

The USPS is, without a doubt, the most inefficient, poorly run government sponsored organization in existence today. In an age of internet shopping, efficient, affordable and reliable home delivery of products is essential to the economy. Checking the box for USPS delivery of your item has become the laughing stock of receiving your product in a timely manner no matter what level of service or promise date was paid for. Delivery on time is not a guarantee - only a "best effort" with no refund or compensation offered if things doing arrive on time.

My personal experience with both the Detroit Distribution Center and my letter carrier are prime examples of why this organization is such a disaster. Wait times of a few days to WEEKS for items to pass through the DDC are the norm. With no way to contact or have someone track a shipment passing through this "mail purgatory", it's anybody's guess as to when the parcel miraculously shows up on my doorstep with no record of departure, scanning or even arrival at my post office! How is that even possible? The number of online complaints, reported employee thefts and "lost" packages passing through this site are incredible - and yet it continues to be a huge KNOWN problem with no resolution.

My letter carrier is poster child for inefficiency. Deliveries routinely don't occur until after 6 pm daily with 8 pm not uncommon. This individual DRIVES to nearly every house on a street with lots 42 feet wide! I have had numerous packages that have never been delivered even though they have been scanned as such. Security cameras on my house have confirmed that there is no theft of the parcel and when checking with the local USPS, have verified that the geotagged packages were indeed scanned but not in front of my house as required but at the corner. Where they went between the corner and my address is anyone's guess. Packages that DO show up are either crammed in the mailbox or obviously thrown from the front yard to land scattered all over the front porch. Another favorite location is in the obvious wet spot directly under the gutter. Unbelievable!

There is a reason that Amazon has chosen to start its own delivery service. Their GUARANTEE of 2 day delivery cannot be consistently honored with the kind of inadequate delivery the USPS provides. Get a clue USPS!! I know my ranting here does not solve the problem but with increased dissatisfied customer feedback and boycotting of the USPS for deliveries, MAYBE things would improve. Of course, this is not a "guarantee"...

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

What a great scam. Offer priority shipping for packages that are supposed to get to one state over in two days and have packages not show up for over a week, or even get lost. I paid over $53 to mail two packages from NM to TX, only 9 hours away. Should have been there on Monday. Now one may be delivered today and the other is lost. Can't even get my money back. I will be using UPS next time or better yet just drive it to Texas myself.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

My postal carriers deliver my stuff to different streets or addresses and give me other people's stuff ALL the time. You're allowed to submit a complaint, but the complaint doesn't matter because it goes right to that office and they don't care to begin with. My postal carrier went as far as to leave a box on the road next to my mailbox, thank God my neighbor saw it happened so she advised me that it was there about 2 inches from the roadway. Today was supposed to receive a package? It said delivered to front door at 1:36 p.m. I was outside today from 12 p.m. until 2:30 p.m. because it was so beautiful. It's rare that I get to sit out in the sun and enjoy a Cool Wind with my kids but today was one of those days so I know they're lying. It's been horrible service since I've been in Pompano Beach, it's been 23 years. What a shame.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

In the past two weeks, I have had multiple packages delayed or lost by the Postal Service. They are not equipped to handle holiday volume from Amazon. I've been trying to get the same part since I originally ordered it 10 days ago. It was originally ordered with two day shipping. That original package is still missing never to be heard from again. Neither the post office or Amazon has any idea where it is. I reordered the same part this time with one day expedited shipping and it has happened again. The famous last words transferred to USPS for final delivery is the last tracking entry I have seen for three different recent Amazon orders.

I ordered the same part again today once more with one day shipping so we will see if it arrives tomorrow but I doubt it. Another recent order of 12 items from Amazon with one day shipping selected had five items delayed later than expected by 4 to 5 days. The loading docks at the local post offices are overwhelmed. There are plastic bags full of packages stacked outside because there is no room inside. I really wish that Amazon would terminate their contract with the Postal Service and solely utilize UPS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

No way to amend a suite number to insufficient address... even if the address is still the same. So the package is limbo now for at least 10 days. I guess it's going back to the sender? No way to pick up the package... Spent 2 hours on hold with customer service to say nothing they can do. They sent me over to a sorting Post Office except it wasn't. I was like Amazon and FedEx and UPS can add a suite number on the fly and have it delivered that day. Lady at the post office gave me attitude and said, “We are not Amazon.” Yeah, no kidding. They are way better. I now don't buy anything if it is shipped by USPS. The USPS are the taxi drivers of UBER. Almost extinct like Blockbuster or Planet Hollywood. I don't understand how USPS can be worse when it was the one who started delivery services with horses.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Unbelievable, ever since Thanksgiving and Black Friday, the USPS has been =HANDS DOWN THE "WORST"=. I use the USPS extensively, 3-5 trips a week with 1-10 packages. Have to wait online to get prepaid scanned. WHY YOU ASK. Because if I drop them off at the designated area OR drop the smaller packs in the drop off bin they don't get scanned for 2 days - and they are usually scanned at the NEXT USPS STATION. LOL. I asked the postal clerks why and they said they are so busy sometimes they miss scanning. "OH. So you like to get raises every year. Make more BENEFITS than anyone and you can't even do your job correctly?" "OH I WAS BUSY." "Good thing you’re not a DOCTOR." Anyway, making the switch to UPS. BYE-BYE USPS - YOU ARE HORRIBLE - and you won't get the postage increase from me. I'm totally postage free bill paying. Keep that in mind moving forward...

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My package is on tour of northeast while I'm waiting to receive it in Florida. The funny thing about my shipping experience is my package left New York, then went to two different facilities in New York? If that's not a waste of time then the USPS sent my package from Maryland to Washington DC then back to Maryland? I feel like I'm living in the twilight zone. My nine year old son would do a better job working in logistics. Called customer service and was on hold for fifty minutes until I decided to hang up and also wrote an email and received no response. You're better off sending smoke signals than dealing with the United States Postal Service.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

For years we had a reliable carrier. For the past year and a half it has been anything but. Missing mail outgoing and incoming, days without mail. I think it is a harbinger of a soon to fail government and country...

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I shipped my Package on Dec 1st in USPS (Priority mail). Priority mail should reach within 3 days. Till now there is no update on my tracking. This is worst Courier service in US. Tried calling Customer Care. There is no response and they are saying wait time is more than 1hr. Please take necessary actions.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Instead of delivering my mail, they updated the tracking info to say that they had no access to the delivery location which was a bald faced lie. The package was still at the office where I had to go pick it up myself and they had never intended to deliver it on the date indicated. Why are we paying so much for a nonexistent “service”??

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Shipped package 12-6-2018 priority mail for $56.00. Last known package tracking was in Denver Colorado 5:37am Sunday morning. It is going to Oklahoma. It is now Tuesday evening 12-11-2018. Tracking keeps saying in Transit. Just found out they don't guarantee deliver date or refund shipping if it's late.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have had many shipments in the last few weeks and all of my packages have arrived earlier than expected and in great shape. I greatly appreciate your service. I also had a package that was sent next day and it was on my doorstep when I woke up!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I had a priority mail package shipped out on the 28 of Nov. According to the USPS website first priority is to be delivered with 3 - 5 days. It is now the 11th of December and it has not moved in 4 days. It arrived in Houston on the 2nd of Dec (I live on the outskirts of Houston) sat for a couple days then checked back into Dallas. It then sat in Dallas for a couple days and ended up back in Houston on the 7th of Dec. It has not left the North Houston facility since. I keep getting text departure scans from the same facility but it actually has not left. If I try to call the main USPS number the wait time is over an hour. If I try calling a local post office I get some excuse about how backed up Houston is. I understand that it's getting close to Christmas and mail has picked up, but when someone has paid for priority delivery it should not take almost 15 days. I just want an answer about where my actual package is and a better estimate on delivery.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Sunday December 9th the postal worker left 30-40 packages on the ground at the mail hut at **. My package along with several other people's were stolen... I have taken pictures of what was left after the thieves got them. I notified the local police so please that worker that DID this really should not have a job!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My mail is always delivered late, sometimes as late as 9pm. In addition to that my Amazon packages handed off to USPS for final destination delivery is ALWAYS delayed from THEIR expected delivery date. In addition to the delay they ALWAYS give some bogus excuse such undeliverable due to “USPS wasn't able to enter your building to deliver your package” or “USPS couldn't get to the front door, mailbox, or driveway”. Well my front door is just a walk up my driveway and my house is NOT a building you need to enter. On top of this, they update their response that “the customer requested delivery on the next delivery date”. Come on. REALLY?!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Waiting for a delivery at 8pm Dec 8. Text updates say delivered at 8am and are now saying delivered at 8PM. It's 12am Dec 9 and nothing. I have a feeling my package will never arrive due to the LIES I am already receiving via text updates.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

So I have lived in my apartment for 7 years now and recently have had a lot of issues receiving my daily mail and packages. The post office has lost 3 packages and got them to me days later after putting on the informed delivery that it was delivered or that they left notice in my mailbox to check and them not leave anything. I haven’t even received my daily mail for 4 days now or my packages. I have been to the post office and talked to the postmaster for him to tell me he will figure it out and call me and never call. All mine and my husband's family are out of town and my 3 daughters get a lot of presents through the mail and this year they can’t because the post office can’t get their stuff straightened out and get our packages to us.

I’m highly upset about this and going to call the postal inspectors first thing Monday morning. You can’t even call our local post office because no one will answer the phone up there. Something needs to change fast. I have numerous case numbers and reference numbers from filing complaints and screenshots and text messages stating my packages are out for delivery then they attempted to deliver or now the new ones say delivered to agent after saying out for delivery to be delivered by 8 pm today and so forth.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I sent a package to my husband who is working 6 hours from home. I sent it out on December 6, 2018 paying 25.40 to overnight it. USPS employee informed me it was guaranteed to be delivered by 3 pm Friday Dec 7th. It is now after 2 pm on the 8th and the package is not even out for delivery. I tried to call and the hold time is over an hour. Why would you sell a service you cannot provide?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Ordered a package, paid for first class shipping, originally due Thursday by 8pm. Going on two days later, still no package, status finally updated to 'Your package will arrive later than expected.' Tracking number only shows in transit to next distribution center, no update on where or when, other than the 'expect delays.' Further, moved plans around to be able to wait at my house for said package.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Yes, we all know that people tend to break in or simply come and pick our packages that come to our doors during holidays, but WTF?! USPS have been keeping 2 of my packages in their sorting facility, put the label of the stolen package on another delivery hoping that this delivery would be marked as stolen (?!). It didn't work though, as I have got both packages for both tracking numbers, and one of them was missing the $150 headphones, but the box was in place... Morons.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Their automated system sucks. Can't get a hold of a rep to talk to resolve my issue. Big part of customer service is the ability to speakers to someone not this automated crap. It may affect my trustworthiness of USPS. I'm starting to lose confidence in our mail system.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

On Monday, December 3, 2018, Mail-Girl scanned my Priority Mail Package as delivered in mailbox, but never delivered the package or any mail to anyone in the building. The following day, my package was delivered but only after going to the Post Office and complaining with **, a supervisor at 915 Yonkers Ave, Yonkers, NY 10704. Apparently, the Mail-Girl had something more important to do that day.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I am a shut-in and depend upon deliveries. I wish sites would offer a choice of shippers. I would opt to pay more to get FedEx, DSL, or UPS to deliver to the door. USPS delivery is a joke that isn't funny. In the past year, I have had 5 packages lost, misdelivered (not even to the same wrong address!), or delayed for more than 5 days. The carrier lies about where he put the packages and, obviously takes NO pride in his work.

Just because it was scanned doesn't mean it was correctly delivered. Reporting it does no good. They "investigate" and call me to rudely tell me it was scanned and delivered and it's now MY responsibility to go to all my neighbors to try and find out if it was misdelivered to them! Maybe make carriers take a READING test? The best thing would be to eliminate the outdated USPS from shipping choices. They may be less expensive but, as my mother said, "You get what you pay for," and we are paying for the toilet crap that is the USPS delivery "service."

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

They delivered my package to the wrong apartment. The Cadman Plaza Post Office in 11201 is the worst Post Office in all NY. The carriers don’t even leave the mail in the proper box. My package was left in a whole other mailbox and they will not give me my money back when the carrier is at fault. I’m disgusted and wish I could not have them deliver another piece of mail or a package for me ever again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I ordered my Gucci Sunglasses and it shipped on November 23rd. When I'm tracking it's in transit. So, I just want to check my package and customer service employer says, "You cannot claim here. It's not our part." Where can I find my parcel. I want to get shades before going to trip!!! One star is not even worth to this company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

NEVER SHIP WITH USPS. As a customer unless you have insurance on your package you are basically screwed if they lose it. Package tracking claims to have delivered my package on 11/28. Checked my mailbox on 11/29 no package. Checked around my front door and mailbox every day. Now a week later and nothing. Contacted USPS customer service. Was told they'd contact me within 3 business days, today is the 4th day and still nothing. Basically my package was STOLEN by the mail carrier because I have a locked mailbox. or the mail carrier is blind and put it in one of my neighbors boxes and no one has returned it.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I brought my packet to be shipped out on Saturday the 1st, the man at the counter put it in the wagon then we left. He said it would arrive in 2-3 days. I'm Shipping from Indianapolis to Libertyville, Illinois, a 4:30 drive and it says in transit to destination for 2 days. In this package was my phone to be mailed in and Boost would send a replacement after mine arrives to avoid theft. Even if that wasn't very smart, we are talking about the USPS. So boost sent them the information that I was coming and had printed the return label. They got it at 12:41 pm on Saturday. They don't ship on Sunday but It just moved to the distribution center yesterday the 4th of December @ 1:18 and has been in transit since. Like I said, it will only take 5 hours at most with bad traffic to get there and it hasn't arrived.

This is now on its fourth day and since the post office is cancelling the mail delivery because someone died it will likely be 5 days for it to get there. 2 extra days I might have to wait for. Next time I will just use a more respectable mail service. And just because Bush 41 died, people can't get their mail while most of everyone else in society has to keep working, "I deliver mail on behalf of the gov so I get a day off from doing nothing but making important packages late."

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I had a note left on my door on more than one occasion stating that they attempted to deliver a package to me, yet there was no package ever delivered. I’ve called the 1800 number and rescheduled delivery on 4 different occasions. I’ve also requested a manager reach out to me, however when the manager Mr. ** finally did reach out, he stated that they are told to lie and say they made an attempt even if they don’t have a package. There was never a package to begin with. They have to put the note there to cover themselves. This is asinine and unacceptable. How can you blatantly tell a customer that you pretend to have a package, and leave a note to cover yourself?

I’m not sure why anyone would make up having something and never have it in the first place. Especially when the package “arrived” early. Then when I asked to speak to a manager higher than him, he told me there was no one higher. That I would have to reach out to ConsumerAffairs and make a complaint. So here we are. Now after not getting the package on the 21st and waiting for hours to speak to a representative (literally hours), I’m out of a package that I’ve paid for. I’m highly upset.z

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have not been receiving all of my mails, some of my mails/packages have been returned back to sender and some are lost “that’s what I’ve been told” MORE LIKE STOLEN by not so honest delivery person, they don't even ring the doorbell. Tt's too difficult for them, sometimes they leave my package in front of my garage... USPS cannot find better help nor train their employees/delivery people.

I know it’s the holiday season but this is getting ridiculous… Our mails, from Amazon, Ebay, Overstock.com and other package/mails from family and friends is missing as well. I documented all my packages and in contact with the sender(s). Delivery service is saying it’s lost or can't be delivered! We contacted 4-Respond NEWS ** to also help correct this matter.

My husband and I are tired of this, hoping someone will take care of this matter, either the post office or the delivery person is not doing their job. This is becoming a federal violation if the post office/delivery person/& or anyone else is holding or tampering with our mails. This should not be happening to anyone and must be corrected. Thank you.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs