USPS

Compare Shipping Companies

Research top Shipping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The company at the top of Google is not the USPS. They call themselves the USPS change of address assistant. They are a scam... run. I thought I was changing my address w/ the USPS for $1.00 and was charged $29.95 by this scam company. Make sure you are changing your address w/ the USPS, not any other company.

A "Returns" package, with shipping paid by the company accepting the return, has been scheduled for pickup on two consecutive days. I have received confirmation that the package has been picked up as scheduled except I still have the package. And there are several items I have ordered that have been marked as "delivered," and have not come even close to delivery. What is happening with USPS? I understand honest delays and such, but for USPS to claim pickup/delivery when neither has occurred seems to be an odd business practice, to say the least.

We have had trouble with getting mail or getting mail very late in the day (6:30 pm). I have been expecting a delivery of photos that I had ordered from proofs of my daughter's college graduation. They finally arrived (6:30 pm Friday evening). The envelope was clearly marked First Class Mail... Do Not Bend on both front and back. My pictures were delivered bent and left in mailbox. Every photo is clearly bent. When I called the post office to complain, I was told that the sender has to pay an extra fee of $8.00 if they don't want them put in a mailbox and bent. This is ridiculous.

It is totally the mail carriers fault and she should be held responsible, instead the postal service makes it the sender's fault. I am now stuck with bent photo of a very special occasion that cannot be replaced because the time to place more orders has run out. Apparently the postal service can do anything they want and not take responsibility for it. What a way to run a business. I will now find any other way other than the postal service to get things where they need to go. Dissatisfied does not begin to cover my feelings.

I sent the package to India on 19th Dec 2016. USPS told me this will be delivered between 6-10 days. Today is Jan 7th, 2017. Status shows still the package is in transit flight. Very pathetic. If there is negative stars I would strongly recommend negative for this provider.

My son overnighted a large box. Figured he has done it before no issues. The bottom tape was torn and a portrait from Walgreens of my sons was missing. The postal service had no response except claim denied. Then find my portrait. It was scanned on the plane and seems to not have gotten scanned again until it hit Abq. NM. Missing picture would mean nothing to anyone but me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

The first problem derives from the fact that I set up an account several years ago, but not needing or using it for all that time, I lost the password. No problem! The USPS site asks "forget your password? Create a new account." So I fill out the form to create a new account and enter it, and surprise, surprise! I get a message, as I paraphrase, "It appears you already have an account with us. Please check your information and sign in." WTF! The reader should be able to understand the problem with THAT. How does that help me to get past the forgotten password problem?

So I get on the phone to the USPS and spend over 1 hour on hold. I get passed from one rep to another, each supposed to be technicians who can help me set up an account, and each, after several minutes of dialogue, informs me that they are in fact NOT technicians and cannot help me! Actually, it was slightly more complicated, as first I called the main CS number and after several failed attempts to get the help I needed, I found and called a "technical help line." The next applies to both calls.

I wait on hold for 5-15 minutes to talk to each one. EVENTUALLY, after at least 1 1/2 hrs on the phone, and after talking to 3-4 reps who were supposed to be techs but were not, I finally connect with someone who agrees to send me a temporary password to set up an account. So far, not so good. I get the temporary password, access the form and TRY to fill it out. However, I notice right away that the form includes a number of drop-down menus, NONE OF WHICH WORK! I think I have seen this before, and seem to recall that when the menus don't work, the form will be rejected. I don't waste more time there.

Later I am contacted by a person from Consumer Affairs, who is very sympathetic, and who informs me that the USPS website/forms do not work on Apple OS computers, specifically with Safari. Well, about 1/3 of all private home computers are Apples, and Safari is the only browser Apple supports. Why doesn't the USPS website at least inform Apple users that we are wasting our time? Why does the USPS website not work on Apple devices? EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS ON THEM!!!

So I have to order the paper forms and submit my $69.99 insurance claim by snail mail. I get the forms quickly, fill them out and send them in, complete with numerous photos of the broken item, the packaging and the shipping label with photos which tie them all together. It's not perfectly clear what the USPS wants or will accept, but I send them everything I have.

Again, fairly quickly, I get a finding from the USPS, which is that my claim is rejected on the grounds that no insurance was purchased for my package!!! This is despite the fact (which both I and the shipper believe to be the case; the USPS website is NOT very clear) that ALL PRIORITY MAIL PACKAGES ARE AUTOMATICALLY INSURED FOR UP TO $50, and this being an eBay purchase, all THOSE packages are supposed to be automatically insured for up to $100!!!

So now I am permitted to appeal? Well woop-di-do! I already have about 6-7 frustrating hours into collecting a $69.99 insurance claim, they make an absurd finding, completely contrary to the facts as I know them, and I am supposed to put YET ADDITIONAL time into countering their ridiculous finding? My merchandise was clearly shipped USPS Priority Mail, which carries automatic insurance, was obviously broken in transit, as I have provided more than enough information to demonstrate, yet they reject my claim?

I am at my wit's end. The PHYSICAL PO absolutely refuses to help. It says "we don't do that." Therefore I am going to abandon my claim. The amount of time I have spent attempting to claim insurance, at my regular pay rate, is already well over $300, to collect a $70 claim. Now they want me to spend even more time on it, to get past the latest obstacle they put in my way. The system is prohibitive. I can't think of a better term for it than "SCAM." The USPS shipping insurance is a scam. I bet that tens of thousands (maybe millions) of USPS customers never collect on insurance they are rightfully owed, because the USPS system puts so many obstacles in our way, that collecting is virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

So far it has been 8 days to get a car part from Penn to Florida. This is just poor service. They have slow moving, lazy butt people working for the Postal Service. And on top of that they get the 2nd of Jan off. Unreal. Everybody I know is working. What do you expect from the gov. A good system. Not.

I have lived in northeast DC for 38 years and for the last several months I've had the pleasure of speaking with and enjoying the service provided Ms. **, a US Postal letter carrier who works out of the Brookland Post Office, 3401 12th St NE, Washington, DC 20017. Every time I see her in the neighborhood and it is often because I walk my dog in the multiple times throughout the day, she has a smile on her face. No matter the weather or time of day she manages to take the time to speak and move steadily from home to home delivering the mail. In all the time she has delivered mail to my home there has never been a delivery for someone else. And that is rare.

Ms. ** sets the bar extremely high when it comes to providing great service to the residents of our community and should be commended for that. She is an asset to those she serves and to your organization as well. My hope is that a promotion, which she deserves, or retirement will the only reasons she stops delivering the mail to my neighborhood. Thank you for taking the time to read my comments.

Today my package was supposed to be delivered by the USPS mail carrier. I was home all day for this very purpose. The mail carrier lied and said he made an attempt to deliver the package, yet he never rang the bell and didn't leave a notice. I called USPS customer service to see what I can do about my package. The representative was rude like she had an attitude that I was upset that the mailman didn't ring the bell and lied about making the attempt to deliver my package. USPS postal service is just terrible customer service wise and mail carrier wise as well. They just don't care and that's the sad thing.

I had shipped a package on 12/12/16 to another country and my package still did not arrive. It has been three weeks now. The horror began from the second I dropped off these packages. My packages went all the way from Long Island, NY and went all the way down to Virginia before coming all the way back up to NY into Customs. Someone in the USPS thought it was a good idea to ship two boxes WITH CUSTOMS FORMS attached to it all the way to Virginia instead of to the other side of NY. Jamaica, Queens Customs is only a 90 minute drive from where I dropped it off! It took this package 5 days just to bounce around NY and Virginia.

This package was supposed to be Christmas presents but now the holiday season is pretty much over and my packages still have not gotten to its destination. The USPS didn't even have the common decency to upgrade my package to express once they notice their mistake. I paid over 200 dollars to ship one of those boxes and 69 for the other one. This postage was not cheap and to this day, my packages have not been delivered. I don't even know where they are even which is sad. One they say departed an airport in another country but that was on 12/20 and in the same continent as where my package was suppose to go to but it still hasn't been delivered to the country of origin. The other package still states it's in JFK since 12/17. I put out international inquiries about my packages (again) and I still haven't heard anything. I put one inquiry in on 12/21 but haven't heard anything yet.

I'm really very upset that these packages did not get delivered yet after 3 weeks. It's not right that we live in the 21 century and we can get men on the moon easily but the USPS can't even get a package to another country within a reasonable amount of time. They should be ashamed of themselves and their services! I understand it is the holiday season but I dropped it off three weeks ago and had this package bounced around for 5 days just in the USA! My package might have been delivered on time had it not have been given to an incompetent person to sort my package to make it go to Virginia. Plus the USPS doesn't even have the courtesy to even offer you anything for your holiday season being ruined by them!

Happy holidays USPS! Your delivery services are bad and I hope the whole USPS gets dismantled. This is the reason why they are going broke and nobody wants to use them! Unfortunately I had no choice in the matter because one of my packages was going to a military base so I just decided to drop them both off in one shot!

I used their online form to try to change my address and it fails every single time saying I have the wrong billing address. I've used both my credit and debit cards and nothing works. I called USPS and spent 15 minutes getting hung up on by their idiotic robot that doesn't understand words like "Yes" and "No". Finally I found out I can dial 0 nine times to skip the pointless 2+ minute intro that gets read to you when you call. I pressed the option to change my address and it said to use the online form. If I could change mail providers I'd do it in a heartbeat.

You can't trust the stupid post office delivery service for anything. I recently had a package delivered, and when I noticed it went from USPS to the post office - I knew that wasn't a good thing. The package said it was delivered, but the idiot at the post office delivered it to the wrong house. I called the post office back and the man did a GPS search and found the house it was delivered to. I went to the house to get the package, only because I called them to find out. The post office delivery service sucks, and the idiots that work there are too stupid they deliver things to the wrong places. Don't have this problem with UPS, Amazon or others.

I have been expecting a package since Dec. 21, 2016. According to the tracking number, I should have gotten it yesterday but it states that an attempted delivery was made and a delivery notice was left at the location. Well, this is not true. No delivery notice was left and I believe that there was no mail delivered in my neighborhood at all on yesterday. Neither my mother, sister, or several neighbors received any mail on yesterday and as I stated earlier, I did not have any notice in my mailbox or on either of my doors.

I have both called and have spoken to someone at the Madison, TN office about the mail carrier continuing to return mail to sender. I was told several times it would be taken care of, yet, I continue to get nothing but junk mail and was just informed yet AGAIN by my employer that more documents have been returned. This has also caused all sorts of issues with billing departments from recent medical procedures, and may have gone into collections because of this.

So apparently the only qualification you need in order to be a mail courier would be a valid driver's license. In the past year 4 of my packages, according to the tracking number and your website, have been delivered. However 2 of them were found at a house 3 doors down and 6 doors up from me and the other 2 are still missing. The older of the two packages I had to raise a fit about in order to file a claim with someone. The most recent was suppose to have been delivered "in mailbox" today at 3:31 pm. And yet again no one has seen it. And because it was Christmas Eve no one actually wanted to do their job and file a claim. After being put on hold for 45 minutes and being transferred NINE times I gave up. My mail courier has yet to deliver all of my mail to my house in a single day.

EVERY DAY I have to take my neighbor's (multiple neighbors and as far as 8 houses away) mail to them and see if they have any of my mail and sure enough at least two neighbors always have something addressed to my house. Unfortunately today I was not so lucky when I went knocking door to door to find my package. I and many other neighbors have called our local Post Office and complained about our mail courier and nothing has been done. I am not sure if my mail courier is dyslexic, illiterate, or just a straight up thief (I know from personal experience he is unprofessional and rude) but this has gotten really really old. For all of the mail I retrieve and deliver to and from other houses you should really be paying me rather than him. At this point I am seriously considering getting an attorney involved since that seems to be the only way anything will even be remotely close to getting resolved.

I sent a package via Priority Mail to Nashville, Tn. (37214) on 12-17-16 and hasn't reached the destination yet. The USPS ruined my wife's Christmas since the package contains gifts for her and her friends. Yesterday (12-24-16) my wife went to the post office 37214 to claim or pick up the package and they couldn't find it. The order number or tracking number and activities verified my information and can be use as a buyer's receipt.

I mailed out about 20 Christmas cards this year. They were a little bit overweight so I put TWO FULL PRICE STAMPS on each one of them which was about .20 cents in excess of what was required. A few days later I received two of them back because I had put (invisible) tape on the edges of the stamps because they had not stuck very well along the bottom edge. A huge yellow sticker was placed on the top of the recipient address stating that it was returned because: "stamp was reused, defaced or taped!!!!" So we are just suppose to let the stamp get torn off in the sorting machine? I know the USPS is in dire financial condition because the public uses other ways to ship or send documents, WELL IT'S NO WONDER! Obviously they do this to generate more revenue! Sorry A-- , will NEVER use them again, EVER.

The USPS is by far the worst service in our country. They don't update tracking along the way so it is impossible to see where your package is. They send packages (Priority), to states that are in the wrong direction of where mine should be going. This happened to me three times in one month. They went in the complete opposite direction of where they should have gone delaying delivery. Morons! Our local Wyoming post office NEVER opens on time. I am in my 60's and have never seen anything like this. I think this service needs to be taken over by somebody (anybody) else!

Someone else wrote on their review that if it was possible to give less than 1 star they would do it. That person was so right. On the 12/13 I sent a 1st class package to Seattle, Washington. The tracking number is **. This was sent from the Shadle-Garland office in Spokane, Washington. The package has been sitting in Seattle since 12/15 - undelivered. Its destination is a PO Box in Seattle. I have filed a lost package report. The number is **. This was filed on 12/19. According to the information given I am to be contacted in 3 business days. I have not been contacted.

I went to the post office where the package was sent. The supervisor who talked to me said he would have to send an email to find out where my package was. He said he couldn't get anyone at whatever office the package was at, on the phone. He said he would call me and let me know what the situation was regarding the package. That was also on 12/19. He has not contacted me. Today I went to the main office in Spokane and spoke to a woman who came to the counter with a chip on her shoulder and a look on her face that clearly meant that a tax paying peon like me had no business wasting her valuable time. She told me I couldn't file any sort of lost package report because the package was 1st class mail. What's the point of tracking number if a package can't be found?

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't go to this length to get someone's attention. The package however contains an original copy of a document that has to go the Washington State Department of Licensing and a check for $250. Of course they only accept original documents. Due to my package being lost I am now unemployed. What I have been forced to do is spend $25 to get a duplicate copy and an additional $44 to ship the form. I sent it FedEx. I think the reason why should be readily apparent. So now I am out another $69 to correct this mess created by USPS.

One of the scary things about USPS is that as a customer you have no recourse. They can lose your mail, destroy your mail, or whatever because they are protected from prosecution. If you don't believe me do the research. It should be noted that I will be sending letters to every member of Congress who has anything to do with the United States Post Office. Letters are also being sent to the USPS Board of Governors. No one should have to be subjected to this.

My husband, John, and I, Mary Would like to thank Mr. ** for his dedicated service each and every day. His interaction and thoughtfulness is so welcoming. He brings back the "good old" days. Also his thoroughness in deliveries. Mr. **, Thank you and wish you a beautiful Christmas and Season. Have a healthy and happy New Year.

I cannot get them to deliver packages to my home. My house is in a rural area and is a little ways from the main road. My neighbor put a drop box down by the main road on his driveway so they always put my packages in the neighbor's box. Never had UPS do this. Can't figure out why Amazon is using them now. If I know I am getting a package I try to intercept it and I go onto my neighbor's property to get my package. I don't get that many packages so I can't figure out why they won't come back here to my home and put my package on the porch like other carriers, it is not like they have to come back every week.

I sent a priority mail that was supposed to arrive yesterday but until now it hasn't. It had my passport in it. I'm supposed to be spending Christmas with my family in Canada but because of this delay, I'm afraid it's not gonna happen.

Received an email on 12/19 saying our package arrived in our mailbox. Got home within 20 minutes of the delivery to find that the package was torn open and all contents gone. Filed a claim with USPS. Their response was, not our problem. You're out your money, and the gift you were going to give someone. The gift was a blanket that was special order and took weeks to get. There is no way to get another one in time. Won't be using USPS again. They are absolutely horrible!!

I will not disclose my location beyond than saying I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. I buy most of my purchases online, it's cheaper and just the easiest way for me to get what I need. My local post office has officially lost or stolen 5 packages in less than 60 days! Living in an apartment building with security desk and locked package room and locked mail slots. 5 packages ranging from large to small have been marked as delivered and they have not been delivered! USPS could care less, multiple missing mail reports have been filed and resulted in zero results. UPS, FedEx, DHL, and Amazon's shipping services have not misplaced or lost a single package... Same mail delivery personnel, same response every single time. So either my purchases are being stolen, lost, misdelivered, or simply discarded. At this point I don't care which one, I just have become sick of watching money disappear and nothing being done about it.

Not since Tuesday has the mail carrier come to my street. There was an inch of snow. I could see the first day, because there was some ice and the street is steep, but not the second or third and CERTAINLY not today (and there were no deliveries even at the bottom of the street, which is NOT steep). Two days in a row I had important outgoing mail, my box flag up, and no one came, so I trundled it down to the street box a mile away (late). Yes, I got there, which means the mail carrier could have gotten to my road. Two of the four days, I walked up/down the road myself (the carrier can wear shoe cleats!). One of the days I drove up/down it. There is no excuse; I am not in the Arctic. UPS has continued service (trucks were chained up during first snow day); FedEx trucks are out. Amazon trucks are out. Donor organs are making it to dying patients. Domino's is (ugh) delivering pizza.

This is a week when many packages and cards are going/coming, and I have no mail service. I can't fire the USPS. I have talked to mail carriers of my acquaintance; they say "Whatever it takes, I get it there, even if I have to crawl on my hands and knees up a hill" and I have talked to other people in my city, and their mail is arriving. Four days in a row??? I sent an email to my local branch. These are not life-threatening conditions. If a carrier is sick, or fearful, get an itinerant one; I know there are seasonal and interim/temp carriers. Where is my mail - sitting in piles at the local branch? Couldn't someone have asked me if I wanted to come and RETRIEVE it? And what about the outgoing mail - bill payments? It's all very disappointing and beyond that, befuddling.

This is the second time now where USPS has "attempted" to deliver a package but no package is to be seen anywhere! No peach slip either!!! I'm so tired of having to wait an additional two days to pick up my package at the Post office because they can't deliver it properly the first time! I need to go out of town and can't wait an extra two days!!!

I am a top rated seller on eBay. With that being said I depend on U.S.P.S. to make timely deliveries. For the past 2 years I have lost more repeat customers due to late & stolen deliveries by USPS than all other reasons combined. My sales have gone down by almost 70% this year alone. Recently I sent a medium size priority package that cost me over $15.00 to ship with full insurance and a 2-3 day delivery time. That was on the 13th of December and today is the 17th and it shows still in transit to the destination which means it will not be delivered until Monday now which makes 6+ days. It seems like no one really cares either when you call if you're lucky enough to have someone answer. They need to revamp the whole system and get rid of the bad apples. LOL.

First, whenever I try to call my local P.O., NOBODY ever answers and the phone always auto-hangs up on the 10th ring. I've regularly had mail misdirected, received others' mail including the public library, had packages TOSSED 20 feet from a pathway because the jerk was too lazy to walk up to my door, mail disappear into thin air despite a tracking # (3-4 times), show "delivered" only to BE delivered the NEXT DAY (at least 3 times), expensive 2 day delivery with "perishables" stamped all over the box take FIVE days to arrive, sit in the "hub" for a week or more, be routed to several nearby cities far north and west of me before finally being routed to the correct P.O. for delivery, sit in my nearby hub for up to a week before going out for delivery, and take 3 weeks for a letter to hit my daughter's P.O. box, coincidentally at the same time as a replacement!

And NOW a thin, small box never made it to her box, no note to pick up at the counter was ever placed in her box... nothing! Just an excuse that after 10 days, it was "returned to sender" (me) 27 days ago, because it had a tracking number on it!! And no, I have not received it!! I strongly suspect lazy incompetence throughout the P.O. system and strongly vote to privatize it! And don't ever try and collect on "insurance"... that's a complete joke and waste of time!! THIS is why I HATE and REFUSE to use the P.O. unless there is no other option available!! Next time I will UPS anything to her uncle's house for pickup!! At least then I KNOW it'll arrive and on time!!

Ok the USPS is really getting worse but every year they want more money saying they are losing. I wonder why. Ok it all started in Nov when I sent my 10 yr old daughter a birthday card with cash in it to the Atlanta GA area which she never received. My fault for sending cash. My loss. Then 2 weeks ago I sent a overnight package to someone in Ozark Mo. It was a car part to be repaired. Need I say it didn't get there over night like it was supposed to. Sure they gave me a refund the next day. Now on Friday Dec 9th I sent my daughter her Christmas and birthday gift. Looking up the tracking number it got to the Atlanta GA sorting facility on Monday the 11th at 5:23 pm. I was happy it looked on time with a delivery day of Thursday, December 15, 2016. Where it was going is only 25 miles from there.

Now here come the nightmare. All week it kept showing it was still in Atlanta GA but I figured ok on the 15th it will show going to where it's supposed to go. Well no way it never did so I figured it's the holiday rush. The scanning system is running slow all day. It never showed leaving the Atlanta GA sorting facility and it never got delivered. Then later I looked up the tracking again. To my surprise it showed being at the USPS Facility in CHICAGO at 4:05pm. I could not believe this. It never even made it to her address. Not even to her towns post office. I've call 3 times even went to my local post office where I mailed it from. No one not one person can tell me anything that I already don't know from looking up the tracking number. No one even knows why it is even in CHICAGO. Now I don't know what to do. How can they keep running like this. I'm sure I'm not the only one this is happening to.

I had a package that was to be delivered to me but it had the wrong zip code. The package arrived in Portland, Oregon on November 30th, 2016. Due to the wrong zip code, the package kept being delivered between Hillsboro and Portland and back again. This went on for two weeks. I filed a claim after about 10 days, and explained the situation and the USPS rep told me that somebody would call me.

I received a call from "Renee" in the Portland Distribution Center who left a message. I called back as soon as possible and my call was received by "Brian". I explained the issue to him and he asked for a tracking number. I explained that it was on my phone and that I just had to pull it up. Within 5 seconds, he told me that I could call him back with it and that would "work for him". I told him it would just be a second - totally calmly but perhaps with a sense of urgency as I was trying to find the tracking number - and he yelled "stop yelling at me". I told him I wasn't.

And then I had the tracking number (within 15 seconds), and he told me - "the package has never been here, why are you calling here?". I told him I was just returning the call from the number from someone who called me. He asked, "who was it? I want to tell them that they did not do this correctly". I told him, that I could get the name but it's on my voicemail, do you want me to put you on hold and get it? He disregarded my question and told me that the only way to handle the issue was to run a "package intercept" over the website. I got on the website, put in my tracking number, and the website told me that the package was not eligible for redirection.

I then called back and spoke to "Paolo" who was professional and nice and told me he would contact the Hillsboro Post Office and tell them to hold the package. He said he would call me back once he heard from them. Not receiving a callback, I called back a few days later and got Steven. I tried to explain the story and he shouted at me "I'm not Paolo!". I told him, "I know, you're Steven." I wrote it down. "Why are you guys so defensive?" And then he shifted and told me that my package was being held in Hillsboro and hung up on me. I have no idea where this location is in Hillsboro or how to get it. I don't know why we pay these people with our taxes. UPS and Fed Ex and Amazon are all more helpful. These people aren't just rude. They seem to go out of their way to give you the worst experience possible. I'll never send anything USPS again. I couldn't be more disgusted with these people.

USPS Company Profile