3.48/5
Based on 2,873 ratings submitted in the last year

7485 USPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

I don't ship as much now as I did when I sold on eBay but USPS remains my favorite. I usually ship small to medium sized items and I love the free boxes and the price and I never had a complaint from a customer over shipping costs or poor packaging. Twice I needed professional packing for expensive artwork and other than that my post office served me and continues to serve me so well. It makes a huge difference to me to be helped by people who have know me for years. They always find the best way for me to ship anything.

Original review: April 18, 2019

The mail to my home is coming later and later. Used to get the mail about 1 pm and then it went to 3 pm. Now some days I get my mail at 9 pm! Usually sits in my mailbox until I can get it the next morning. When is this going to improve?

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I ordered a package from Granger Indiana. I live in Columbus Indiana 200 miles apart from each other. I have never ordered anything online, or had anything shipped to me. I ordered my things on the 10th and they were taken in possession by USPS in Granger and was supposedly shipped out the same day at 5:01. I got a message saying left Granger arriving on time. It's a signature required package so I called my mother in law where the package is to be shipped, and she said nothing has arrived. I checked status and it says arriving late in transit. It is now the 18th, and it's not updating. I have filed all things I can through USPS and they know absolutely nothing about my package. I am very frustrated because this is a 700 dollar package. I will never do this again no matter the outcome. This has me so stressed out thinking I'm going to lose my money!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have for the last 2 years I have received only 2 packages on time and on the day to be delivered. I have a company that sends me 2 packages a week from clients or prospective clients so how unprofessional do I feel or look to my clients? I have had a package lost in a “loop” for 17 days and it was Christmas gifts for my daughter and found out by myself taking my own package down. Finding it 2 days before Christmas in Richmond. The lady even said it was there but couldn’t give to me because it was only a sorting center.

Btw your sender will not get a refund back only until the item is attempted to be delivered. I send a package to Mexico and wasn’t delivered for 2 months and I didn’t get my $110 cost because once it was in Mexico the 3 party that the USPS contracts in Mexico is responsible so no money back after 3 months and destroyed my business relations with client.

3 weeks ago I had a family member send me something from Laredo tx to Oakland California. Priority mail 2-3 day paid and while checking the online status it was shipping to Oka Florida where it sat there for 7 days and after another 25 phone call it was finally delivered. Yesterday I was suppose to receive gift from a friend from a paid for overnight delivery and 3-4 days later still waiting and if you don’t believe me check it out for your self **. They tell you less than 5-3% chance of your mail getting messed up or lost and yet out of the at least 100 packages received but they only 2 ever made on time not only but never the delivered on the day. Now it is that time we just use Amazon.

Original review: April 18, 2019

Do not ever use USPS for international shipping. I shipped a small box of table runners from CT to the Caribbean on March 27th for my daughter's wedding. No one knows where the package is or why it hasn’t been received. I’ve called and left messages with customer service - no response. I spoke with my Postal director in my town and was told they don’t guarantee delivery? Really? Why did you take my $110. If you don’t provide the service. She also told me that once the package goes through customs they have no idea how to track it? What? Why give me a tracking number. No responsibility, no accountability? What a scam! Another government run mess. Do not use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: April 16, 2019

Since the last 2 months I been losing money covering delivery warranties on eBay because of USPS slow delivery service, this is terrible for me as a small business owner. First class is taking more than 2 weeks to be delivery from coast to coast and OPA LOCKA DISTRIBUTION CENTER in Miami, FL is taking up to 5 days to start distribution services, PLEASE USPS HELP! FIX THIS ASAP. I am paying around $80.000 a year on shipping services. I expect a better service.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I've had several packages delivered via USPS over the last couple of months and many of them have arrived late. When I check the tracking, it says "In Transit, Arriving Late. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility." I had one package coming from Indianapolis, IN to Jeffersonville, IN (roughly 100 miles).

It took four days just to go from the post office to the Indianapolis distribution center. Another day passed and it was sent to Cincinnati, OH before being delivered to me a day later. All in all, it took six days to receive a package I could have picked up on a four hour round trip. I've reached the point where I'm always a little disappointed when my packages are shipped via USPS and I really wish more sellers (Amazon, especially!) would allow buyers to choose the carrier. If it were up to me, the postal service would only handle my junk mail.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have ordered a time sensitive computer part for a corporate repair, it said the delivery was to be Sunday the 14th. Was at the business all day, The driver claims that the business was closed, we were open even longer hours for this time sensitive part to arrive, our cameras never saw a USPS vehicle. They claim also that it was on the truck today, and we have received our truck today... I would trust a random stranger in his jalopy before I would trust USPS ever again.

Original review: April 14, 2019

There is a small box available but, it actually looks very petite!!! Consider the medium and large box that are good. There's no comparison of the size box. I’m only writing this is because my children are all out of state and if I need or want to send them something it needs to go into a medium box because the small box is not enough space and the medium box is too big. Depending on what I’m sending.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I was out for a morning walk. As I entered the intersection a USPS bulk mail truck made a slow and go stop. As I panicked witnessing this large truck barring down on me made a gesture as I was in near center of the oncoming truck, the driver made numerous comments, stopped his truck, dismounted and charged at full speed. In a rage struck myself. I made no other actions or comments. The USPS protects their employee. I was attacked in my early morning walk. Had a stiff arm for few months. No local attorney will handle this matter.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I had an iPhone 6 Plus shipped to me from Mess Az. By the time I received my box, it was empty. I've reported this with them, and they're saying someone would get back to me. That was over a week ago now. Apparently, USPS is no better than 3rd world countries mail service and they have no problem with my property being stolen while in their possession. Nor will they respond or investigate to arrest the thief.

Original review: April 10, 2019

This is the WORST company ever. I've seen slow, but never incompetent. This entire company is a joke. I'm trying to receive my parcel from two vendors from Etsy and they used this disgusting service and I haven't received anything and neither is the tracking system working. Really pathetic!! Don't even deserve this 1 star we are forced to give.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I purchased a package online and used USPS to ship it, the original delivery date was emailed and order confirmed, they shipped it all the way from Germany and it arrived on the date it said but at a different post office that is not my own, however I have had packages shipped to this location before and they were always delivered on time. I called the USPS and asked them why they had not delivered it yet as it showed on the tracking it was sitting there in the post office, he replied they don't deliver to that address so they returned it all the way to sender. I live less than 10 miles from that location, they never called me or notified me. No instead a lovely clerk named Chris decided he would just send it all the way back to Germany and treat me rudely when asking why and how my address was "undeliverable" with no access to my mailbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I ordered an Oval Exhaust Flange. It was being shipped from Syracuse NY, 3.5 hours away from where I live. I checked its tracking and I find out that it is now in Coppell, Texas. Explain to me how that make any sense.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I went to the post office to mail 65 wedding invites in person. It cost $4.06 per envelope to mail them first class. I was told they would take 2-3 days at the most to arrive at the various destinations. I dropped them off on 3/28/19. Half of them left the FL post office 3/30, and half of them did not leave the facility until April 6. As of today, April 9, over 12 days since I dropped them off in person, I have 27 tracking numbers that say "Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility..." with no update other than it left the FL post office April 6th. This service is completely unreliable. Do not use them for ANYTHING important where reliable service is needed. I will never use USPS for anything ever again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

USPS needs to do its job correctly and deliver its mail and packages on time instead of delaying or losing them. If they cannot do that they need to be privatized. There is no reason for the crappy service they have. No other business would survive very long if they operated the way the Postal Service does. I sent a package to my granddaughter in Colorado. I sent it on 3/28/19. It was due to arrive on 04/03/2019. On the due date it kept saying “Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.”

The tracking information shows It arrived at the Jacksonville, Fl facility on 3/29/19 but nothing after that until April 2, 2019 and it said “In Transit, Arriving Late. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.” What facility? I doubt it ever left the Jacksonville, Fl facility. It certainly never arrived. This is so frustrating because not only was this package very important but I paid money to have this package shipped to my granddaughter. If any other business was this sloppy they would not be in business. If they cannot do a better job they really should be privatized.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I shipped a package on March 22, the bride's wedding was April 6th. USPS said delivery was 3/26. Then delivery info disappeared, contacted USPS 6+ times, was never called back. The flowers are now being delivered today, 18 days after shipped. Missed the wedding - EXCEPTIONALLY HORRIBLE SERVICE.

Original review: April 9, 2019

My envelope was supposed to be delivered in 7-10 business days. Here I am after 20 days. Still not delivered. Wish they had informed me about it being NOT A GUARANTEED DELIVERY when I sent it. I was told it is a 7-10 business days GUARANTEED DELIVERY.. Hopeless.. Will never use USPS again for international shipping.

Original review: April 8, 2019

Priority Mail is not a priority! It takes USPS twice as long to deliver a package than any other shipping company. This is absolutely unacceptable, especially when you're paying for a so-called service. There needs to be a shake-up with USPS and it starts at the top of the shipping chain. I understand around the Christmas season, but in April we have issues getting packages that are said to be delivered and it's 3 plus days later at best?! Time to pony up and pay FedEx or UPS, and know it'll be delivered on time.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Why should someone pay for a service that you don't deliver? For the past 3 months I have been waiting for my mail. I have tried to tracking it online, but all it says is that the mail is in transit, (three months now!) I tried searching for my mail using "USPS Missing mail" - not been successful for a month. Tracking via phone always gives the same answer, "..originating mail is preparing to dispatch this mail piece.." I would not recommend USPS, especially if sending mail from a different country. So disappointed!

Original review: April 5, 2019

I have several issues with USPS: First, I feel like USPS cannot deliver anything on time anymore. Tracking will show that something is being delivered by "x" date and that date will change constantly. I rarely get a package when I am supposed to anymore. Second, I have informed delivery that shows me what my mail is. I have had several pieces of mail never arrive, one of them being my mortgage statement. We just moved into our house, and we have a cluster mailbox. I have been waiting for my mortgage statement because the original mortgage company sold my mortgage.

All the information I need to pay that bill is on that statement. When I didn't get that statement that day I click on the box that says "did not receive" and waited, and waited. After a week I found the number to call the mortgage company and got all the information I needed and set up paperless billing. I still have not received that statement and it is a month later now. I received a yellow notice last week about mail being stolen out of our local post office, GREAT. I went to the website on the paper and filled out the form with what was missing and have gotten 4 emails telling me they received my email, that is it. I feel like nothing is being done.

Lastly, I have had packages take months to arrive and after 30 days have filled out the missing mail form online, and while the packages did arrive some 2-3 months later, I am still getting emails about once a month telling me they still can't find the package and they are still looking into it...um, NO. They are NOT looking into it. They have been delivered but yet they still can't find it and are still looking into it?! LIES. We are moving towards a society now where more and more everything is done online and we rely on carriers to do their jobs. Somewhere down this chain people are not doing their jobs. Super frustrated.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I paid extra to send a small package Express Mail rather than Priority Mail, because it absolutely needed to be there on time. It only had to travel to three towns away, and had three days to get there. It has now been a week and it still hasn't been delivered. Additionally, I am currently waiting for a package with nearly the exact same story, it is late, sitting in LA, and hasn't moved at all for 48 hours. I have tried to fill use their forms online, and those don't even work. I have called, but they say "Sorry, there is nothing we can do."

Original review: April 4, 2019

I would give zero ratings to USPS. Their service is terrible. Mine was an international order. It has been 30 days now and I am yet to receive it. They don't respond to search requests. Calling them is totally useless since you are basically talking to a machine. I tried filing a claim but my tracking number is apparently invalid. It is frustrating because now I have no means of getting my parcel back. USPS should realize that because of their pathetic service our money goes down the drain. Get your ** together USPS.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I have changed my address two times online. I have called the post office SEVERAL times. I reached the manager one time. She said she was going to fix the issue of me not receiving my mail. She DID NOT. I called her and she ignored my voicemail. Left another voicemail. Not sure what to do to get my mail sent to my address of 1+ year.

Original review: April 2, 2019

If I could give 0 stars I would. To make a long story short my package was stolen. I submitted a complaint and spoke to a woman by the name of Krystal who could not comprehend a single thing. It's mind blowing that she's even working in customer service. Of course nothing will be done and she closed the case. I will definitely avoid receiving anything else through them.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Package was left on doorstep when package clearly in big handwriting marker DO NOT LEAVE at DOORSTEP, 2 packages were delivered to doorstep 4/1/2019 when the packages were clearly marked NOT TO LEAVE. I have had PACKAGES stolen from my doorstep. And was not success in getting back or refunded.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I ordered an item from Amazon and was supposed to be shipped by USPS to arrive today, but instead they did not deliver any item as I waited for my package by the door all day long. Instead they decided they would just mark my order as "delivery attempted, USPS tried to deliver your package". They promise to ship your item in two days, but when they realize they cannot they mark it as attempted delivery. Please fix this issue USPS and Amazon!

Original review: March 30, 2019

If I could rate USPS no stars, I would. I purchased a package from Amazon on Monday, and I have 2-day free shipping. The package was supposed to get here on Wednesday. I got a notification that the package was delivered inside of my mailbox. I went to check, no package! I have a lock to my mailbox, so I know no one tampered with it. I reached out to Amazon and luckily they are sending me the same thing at no cost. I am extremely disappointed and aggravated with USPS. Seems like they have a lot of issues, need to get their stuff together!

Original review: March 30, 2019

Today is 03/30 and the "professionals" at USPS CINCINNATI managed to keep a package in the possession for FOUR DAYS now. Not even an attempt to contact me or the shipper, no way to reach anybody at this pathetic location. What a complete bunch of useless ** working there.

Mar 29, 2019 00:00am In Transit, Arriving Late
Mar 27, 2019 04:09am Arrived at USPS Regional Facility CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Mar 27, 2019 03:28am Departed USPS Facility CINCINNATI, OH 45246
Mar 26, 2019 21:30pm Arrived at USPS Facility CINCINNATI, OH 45246
Mar 26, 2019 14:06pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility CINCINNATI OH NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Mar 26, 2019 13:38pm Departed USPS Regional Facility CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Mar 26, 2019 12:12pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Mar 26, 2019 00:29am Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Mar 25, 2019 14:34pm USPS in possession of item AUBURN, MI 48611.

Original review: March 30, 2019

This company is horrible. They completely lost my package and can't do a thing about it. I called customer service and was on hold for 45 minutes before I was able to talk to anyone. Nothing got resolved and I'm out money. USPS screwed me.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs