3.67/5
Based on 5,032 ratings submitted in the last year

7533 USPS Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I was having an issue with my change of address because I changed it twice within a month time span. I called the USPS to make sure everything was ok and not held up. I got the most amazing, kind, ambitious woman on the phone! Her name was Tiana and she was so friendly! Come to find out nothing was wrong with my change of address. I was just jumping the ball, eager to get my mail. During my change of addresses, I received a postcard from a scammer leveraging the USPS to scam people!! This is one of my biggest pet peeves because my grandparents have been scammed multiple times. They present the postcard as if there is a package being held up.

Being that I was doing a change of address, I thought oh shoot!! I better hurry up and call these folks!! Well just in case I decided to Google the number first and sure enough, pops up on the FRAUD #s!! I mentioned this to Tiana and she took my complaint seriously! She even filed a form to let the company know about this and hopefully save another person from getting scammed!! I'm so appreciative for people like her who take initiative to prevent this from happening!! She was so lovely to work with and I really appreciate her!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I was expecting a Priority Mail Package that was sent from PA to AL on 1/7/19. Estimated arrival was 1/10/19. When it did not arrive I signed up for their handy little tracking notifications. The fact that it was late did not upset me greatly, as no one gets it right ALL the time. But what concerned me was that there was no tracking scans after departure.

So, on the 12th I called Customer Service. I have to say, it was frustrating trying to get an actual person on the line (no choice offered). There was 1-1/2 hour wait for a return call! (They're overworked!) But when Deloris called me, she was wonderful! She was pleasant, professional, and very helpful. She promised to forward my concern to management so they could follow up. And they FOUND my package!!! It tracked to my local Post Office 4 days later & was delivered on the 16th! So, yes, even though it was late and a little stressful, they did what they needed to do to locate my package & get it to me! So, I'm very relieved & grateful! Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

These days, UPS is so much more expensive than USPS, so we use the post office. Plus, they have locations everywhere and their tracking has become more efficient. It remains a wonder to me that for just 50 cents, you can mail a letter anywhere in the U.S. and it will be there in just 2-3 days. In order for me to UPS or FedEx a letter anywhere in the U.S., it will cost me between $16 - $68, depending upon whether I want it to go 2-day or overnight and that is ridiculous. Packages are even higher now. Whereas a decade ago, it made sense to use UPS or FedEx, that is simply no longer the case with USPS' capabilities.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

USPS is my #1 in shipping services due to the prices are lower than the competition. During the holidays they delivered all the packages from items I sold by Christmas Eve and buyers were so happy as they were not expecting this. USPS works hard and long hours especially my mailman who always can be relied on and is dedicated to his job. I am 85 yrs old and my mailbox is located far from my apartment so my mailman takes the extra time to pickup and deliver my packages to me. I like the convenience of scheduling the pickup online and to view my mail with informed delivery. I have never encountered lost items or damaged goods from USPS. I understand why the recent price changes in postage due to the increase in packages from Amazon and online purchases and I can accept this.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

There is no comparison between the post office service and UPS. Whereas UPS throws (yes, THROWS) the packages onto our porch, the mail carriers ALWAYS rings our bell and places our packages neatly in the corner of our porch. I would especially like to mention that, early on Christmas Eve, as we were literally pulling out of the driveway for a 3-hour trip without our grandson's gifts (which was delayed by the seller), our postal carrier pulled up behind our car and placed the boxes in the trunk of our car! Normally, because of the layout of his route, our mail does not arrive until much later in the day, but because he noticed the shipper, he said he "had a feeling" it was supposed to have arrived sooner and he wanted to make sure it got to us "before Santa left." HE was our real Santa that day!

While I acknowledge that UPS drivers are hard-workers with a lot of pressure, none of the drivers on our route have ever been very friendly; however, every USPS mail carrier on this route in 10 years has been beyond pleasant and treated our packages with care. When my spouse was incapacitated, a couple carriers even hand-delivered our mail to the house, rather than leave it in our mailbox across the street. I have nothing but kind words about our postal workers - both the carriers and the workers at the local office.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: July 27, 2019

Mail Carrier scanned small bubble envelope as delivered, when nothing was delivered or placed in my mailbox. Tried reaching out to local post office at 914-375-3098 to speak with supervisor at 915 Yonkers Ave, Yonkers, NY 10704, and no one picks up the phone. USPS Case number **.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I can't believe the amount of time I spent waiting on the phone to get a hold of a USPS Agent. On the day I learned That I mailed a very expensive piece of jewelry to a scammer in Miami Florida, I filed a package intercept to have the package returned to me once it arrived in Miami. For 9 days it was held at the post office in Miami. I filed an investigation to look into getting this back to me. I made 9 phone calls to USPS being on hold for hours, trying to get my package back. Each time I was assured it would be returned. Nothing was done!!! I even tried to call the Miami post office. No one answered and was hung up on several times.

Today I learned that my package was delivered to the very scammer I wanted to keep it from. Unbelievable!!! Gross Negligence!! Then to put icing on the cake, the USPS Supervisor told me to read the fine print that package intercept was not guaranteed!!! After 9 Phone calls, an investigation and everything I could possibly do, the Package was delivered to the thief. I am out over 600.00 plus all the hours of stress and headaches over the neglect the USPS demonstrated in this matter. Despite a tracking number, phone calls, initiation of an investigation, I lost. Something needs to be done. I am and never will, trust USPS to handle any of my mailings again. Buyer beware.. Do not use the package intercept feature.. Count your losses because you'll never get your package back. I am so upset!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

USPS office in Brookhaven, GA on Dresden road doesn't care. We've submitted a 30 dollar request for replacement mailbox key May 1st 2019 and still have not gotten it. This gas caused a tremendous amount of inconvenience. Even with their OWN advice they failed to deliver on their promise which was initially a 2 week turn around. After many attempts for an update we've been given the same song over and over again. The "person" hasn't got to it and apparently there is only one person handling these request for the entire Atlanta district which makes absolutely NO sense.

It also appears the level of knowledge is severely inconsistent with the staff. Was our money just stolen from USPS? it's not even about the money anymore. The principal has been broken and yet still no resolution. We had to take matters in our own hand to hire a third party lock smith to replace the lock. Another on-going instance is that my room mate is hasn't received mail from his 401k provider who has confirmed the mail has reached the carrier. A staff member essentially told him she knows nothing and didn't provide ANY type of support or different route to resolve his issue. Unbelievable.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I have a Very Very Bad experience with USPS. I have moved from Fremont, CA to Charlotte, NC. And shipped many boxes. May be around 15 boxes. I lost 1 box (as per my knowledge, but it can be 2 also). When I inquired and they are not all responsible as it is not their box (goods). At last I raised a claim and also attached the Receipts/Bills of goods. And when I was shipping also, I was told or paid if anything is missing, that much worth the USPS would give me.

For More Information: USPS.com, tracking no" **. Shipped from Fremont, CA to Charlotte, NC on Sep 12th. (09/12/2018):Posted on Sep12th 2018 (Buyed on Aug 7th 2018) 07/8/2018. Address at Charlotte, NC: ** (I told to ship to this address) but was missing/lost. Lodged a complaint and the claim no: **. Again submitted a claim for ** on 11/24/2018. Lost Hopes and Patience on the follow up. Of course now I am located in Texas.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, etc. Twice in a row, USPS has lost track of envelopes I sent via 2 Day Priority Mail ($7.35) from Chicago to Atlanta. In the latest case, I mailed the envelope on August 2nd, 2019 and it is still "in transit," says the online tracking information," eight days later on August 9th. When called, they may pick up immediately or keep you waiting for 40+ minutes. Agents had--or claimed they had-- different information than the "system generated" information provided online. One agent told me that the package had been sitting in the wrong post office in Atlanta since the 5th. The last agent provided me with a non-working phone number for the Atlanta post office. It took me three tries before I contacted an agent who knew how to set up a case inquiry. If your package is time sensitive, pay through the nose for Priority Express or go to UPS or FedEx.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs