3.67/5
Based on 4,989 ratings submitted in the last year

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

USPS

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

USPS Reviews

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I had the most awesome experience with USPS and this is why... I ordered something on eBay and in my haste to order I gave them the wrong shipping address to my office (I was off by one number). When I tried to contact the seller prior to the shipment, they didn't reply in a timely manner. I tried to intercept the package with USPS, but they were having technical difficulties so I called them. Yeah I waited a good 40 minutes to get someone on the phone and they told me I couldn't intercept the package only the shipper could and it would cost $14.00, so I kept pursuing a remedy.

Somewhere along my pursuit I was told to go to the distribution center once I know the package got there (I was getting text updates on my phone). When I got to what I thought was the distribution center, I was told the distribution center is off limits to the public and I was at a Post Office. There a woman gave me a consumer affairs number to call which was local. That person said it was possible that he could let staff know once the package got to my local post office to hold it for me for pickup because it would automatically go back to the sender when they see that the wrong address wasn't even a deliverable address. The representative gave me a confirmation number.

The next day I got a call from my local post office saying they haven't found my package, but they are aware of the situation and will let my carrier know. The next day I got another call that they found my package and my carrier will deliver it to me on Saturday, which was today. Luckily my husband was working at the office so he was able to accept it and I didn't have to wait until Tuesday (after Columbus Day). Honestly, you would have thought I was a V.I.P. with connections or had some really important item needing to get to me. They were so amazingly courteous, caring and professional over a simple package. Way to go USPS and the staff at the Miami Consumer Affairs Office as well as my North Miami Post office. T H R I L L E D.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

These days, UPS is so much more expensive than USPS, so we use the post office. Plus, they have locations everywhere and their tracking has become more efficient. It remains a wonder to me that for just 50 cents, you can mail a letter anywhere in the U.S. and it will be there in just 2-3 days. In order for me to UPS or FedEx a letter anywhere in the U.S., it will cost me between $16 - $68, depending upon whether I want it to go 2-day or overnight and that is ridiculous. Packages are even higher now. Whereas a decade ago, it made sense to use UPS or FedEx, that is simply no longer the case with USPS' capabilities.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

There is no comparison between the post office service and UPS. Whereas UPS throws (yes, THROWS) the packages onto our porch, the mail carriers ALWAYS rings our bell and places our packages neatly in the corner of our porch. I would especially like to mention that, early on Christmas Eve, as we were literally pulling out of the driveway for a 3-hour trip without our grandson's gifts (which was delayed by the seller), our postal carrier pulled up behind our car and placed the boxes in the trunk of our car! Normally, because of the layout of his route, our mail does not arrive until much later in the day, but because he noticed the shipper, he said he "had a feeling" it was supposed to have arrived sooner and he wanted to make sure it got to us "before Santa left." HE was our real Santa that day!

While I acknowledge that UPS drivers are hard-workers with a lot of pressure, none of the drivers on our route have ever been very friendly; however, every USPS mail carrier on this route in 10 years has been beyond pleasant and treated our packages with care. When my spouse was incapacitated, a couple carriers even hand-delivered our mail to the house, rather than leave it in our mailbox across the street. I have nothing but kind words about our postal workers - both the carriers and the workers at the local office.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

USPS is my #1 in shipping services due to the prices are lower than the competition. During the holidays they delivered all the packages from items I sold by Christmas Eve and buyers were so happy as they were not expecting this. USPS works hard and long hours especially my mailman who always can be relied on and is dedicated to his job. I am 85 yrs old and my mailbox is located far from my apartment so my mailman takes the extra time to pickup and deliver my packages to me. I like the convenience of scheduling the pickup online and to view my mail with informed delivery. I have never encountered lost items or damaged goods from USPS. I understand why the recent price changes in postage due to the increase in packages from Amazon and online purchases and I can accept this.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I was expecting a Priority Mail Package that was sent from PA to AL on 1/7/19. Estimated arrival was 1/10/19. When it did not arrive I signed up for their handy little tracking notifications. The fact that it was late did not upset me greatly, as no one gets it right ALL the time. But what concerned me was that there was no tracking scans after departure.

So, on the 12th I called Customer Service. I have to say, it was frustrating trying to get an actual person on the line (no choice offered). There was 1-1/2 hour wait for a return call! (They're overworked!) But when Deloris called me, she was wonderful! She was pleasant, professional, and very helpful. She promised to forward my concern to management so they could follow up. And they FOUND my package!!! It tracked to my local Post Office 4 days later & was delivered on the 16th! So, yes, even though it was late and a little stressful, they did what they needed to do to locate my package & get it to me! So, I'm very relieved & grateful! Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

This is regarding USPS Tracking Number: **. The envelope contained my green card that I waited for months and costs me $ 580. The envelope was delivered on October 19th to a wrong address. Per Kent local post office, the GPS showed the envelope was delivered to different location. I was told to wait and see if the person whom the envelope delivered to return it. It is more than 30 days and did not get it. I contacted US Immigration office and was told since the carrier tracking page showed as if the mail was delivered to my address and I have to pay $580 and do a new application and waits for months to get a replacement card. USPS has to work hard to get the lost mail or USPS has to edit the trucking confirmation to show the actual address the mail was delivered or pay me $580.00 to cover for replacement card. Thank you. Muluken **

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Have to laugh at the four stars review at the top of the page, not to mention the glowing endorsement from this ConsumerAffairs site. At least Americans have some kind of recourse, but if you're an International purchaser of something on eBay you not only get ripped off for a non-existent service (ie: Priority!) there's no mechanism for complaint because international callers cannot access the 800 numbers and the appropriate website requires a ZIP code to take the enquiry to the next page.

If 'Priority' means, dispatched on the first pigeon available, then ok, the service delivers on its promise. But note that the rest of the world is using modern aircraft now. And why a dispatched item goes from Arizona eastwards to Erlanger Kentucky on its way to Australia is completely beyond me. Except that you are more or less compelled to use the service with an eBay purchase, this service would be the LAST on earth you could recommend. Stop defending them ConsumerAffairs, they suck!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I received a package of a stained glass box I ordered from an Etsy artist. It literally said "FRAGILE" and "GLASS" on every side of the box. It arrived with the box crushed so hard that one side was torn open in the middle. It could only be deliberate as there is no way a box would be crushed in this way accidentally. Fortunately the seller had packed it so well, with so much bubble wrap and packing peanuts that through some miracle the item was still intact. But this is ridiculous and the USPS should be ashamed of the caliber of people they are hiring that would handle packages in this way.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Tough to take any of these mindless robots seriously. It's like they wake up everyday with the sole intent to deliver junk to people who don't want it, and the fact that none of them seem concerned with the fact that I don't want the junk, is a piss poor reflection of USPS leadership going up to the highest level. Not to mention, their customer service ticket "resolution" system is complete and utter CRAP, and their Consumer Affairs department is proving to be a joke, except I don't think anyone on my side is laughing.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

ZERO STARS!!!! USPS has no integrity or work ethic. They always delay my 2 day signed packages at least a week! At this time they have one they have had since November 12, 2019 and here it is the 16 and they still haven't moved. I'm stuck at home waiting for it, and the lady on the phone can't tell me where my package is either and was about as helpful as a bag or rocks! I'm getting sick and tired of these people. I don't have this problem with Amazon, UPS or DHL whom has a incredibly work ethic!

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs