USPS

Compare Shipping Companies

Research top Shipping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On Christmas Eve, myself and several neighbors were the victims of mail theft. The OIG insists the package was delivered to my front porch, even though the scanners shows it was scanned in the parking lot. I consider this a blatant lie. I live on the second floor and share a parking lot with 5 other buildings. I have had mail stolen 4 times and when I confront the carrier she says OK. She knows that the OIG employees are too lazy to do a real investigation, she knows she won't ever be punished.

Paid for Priority Mail Express 1-Day for Overnight shipping on crucial documents. It was supposed to be here by 3pm yesterday. Still no package. Called customer service and they show it hasn't even left the distribution center in the origin state. They will track it and, "Call me back in 24 hours but since it's Friday, that may not be until Monday". The package was due on Thursday and I may not even get a status update until Monday - not the package, just an update!!! Their "guaranteed delivery" is bunk. Use FedEx or UPS. Don't waste your money at the post office. And they wonder why their business is dying off rapidly.

We recently moved from Louisiana to Texas. We sold our home in Louisiana and I needed to have the signed and notarized papers mailed through overnight to Louisiana, to be there the next day for closing. I went to a local USPS office, paid the $25 for overnight delivery I was confident it would get there as it is GUARANTEED to be there before 12 pm the next day. It was NOT there. 2 days later and no one knows where the envelope is. We cannot get payment from our sale until the title company receives those documents. I am LIVID, to say the least. Currently on hold with USPS AGAIN, I've been holding for over 40 mins. DO NOT USE THE OVERNIGHT SERVICE. IT'S A LIE!!! And no one at USPS is willing to help nor is their customer service department friendly at all.

For 6 MONTHS or more, new homeowners that have purchased homes in the Ryan Ridge Subdivision have been unable to retrieve mail or get keys from the mail boxes in our neighborhood. The story is the same, not enough mailboxes for the community, only one person is available to do the job, mail boxes need to be rekeyed and reassigned. There appears to be no strategic plan for resolution. I'm exhausted from hearing the problem existed before I arrived here but manager at this location has been there since April 2017. Surely being there since April provided enough time to request help on this matter. Since no keys are available, the USPS won't accept request or payment for mailbox assignments. Moved in June 10, 2017.

Unprofessional mail carrier and unsatisfactory resolution - Mail suddenly and mysteriously wasn't being delivered to our home in Sanford, FL, beginning in early June 2017. This lasted about 60 days and through five face-to-face visits to the brick-and-mortar post office and mail annex, and multiple discussions with USPS employees (including the USPS delivery supervisor). We didn't request that this happen, this is the direct result of unprofessional behavior by the mail carrier, as finally confirmed by the delivery supervisor. Per the delivery supervisor, our mail carrier was given false information by a neighbor that our house was vacant and the mail carrier used that information to hold and return mail without our permission or knowledge, and without verifying the information with her supervisor or with us as the homeowners.

The postal carrier did not leave a "peach slip" to let us know that the mail was being held and would be sent back after 10 days. After 10 days without a change of address form submission our mail carrier started sending all the mail back, and continued to do this with all incoming mail until early August. This began in early June and ended 8-3-17 but only after 4 separate visits to the post office and one visit to the post office annex between June 21st and July 31st, 2017. At no time during any of those visits did anyone inform us of the hold the mail carrier put on our mail without our permission.

Mail delivery finally resumed on 8-3-17 after multiple conversations with the delivery supervisor, but we have lost whatever pieces of mail were wrongly returned to sender in June & July by the mail carrier. (The mail that wasn't received during June and July 2017 contained at least one medical bill that went to collections, as it went unpaid because we didn't receive it. We only found that out after the aggressive debt collections calls began. Who knows what other important mail was in there? We sure don't.) We noticed mail delivery slowed down then stopped altogether during the first couple weeks of June. We hadn't requested any mail be held so we went to the Sanford post office on 6-21-17 to try to solve the problem.

We were told at that time that no mail was there or being held at the annex so we put a hold on the mail ourselves for 2 weeks via usps.com. (We put a hold on the mail because we were genuinely worried that someone was fraudulently using our address and then stealing all the mail that came.) We got the accumulated held mail on 7-7-17 (we actually requested it be sent to the main post office, but half of it was inexplicably delivered directly to the house and half of it we had to go to the annex to pick up ourselves). Mail delivery did not resume after that like it should have, with zero mail delivery to the house between 7-7-17 and 8-3-17.

We went to the Sanford post office twice more during that time with no real resolution and no mail being held for us or delivered to our home. On 7-31-17, we finally were able to speak to the delivery supervisor in person, who determined that no mail was being held for us at the post office or at the annex. He then directly contacted our mail carrier, who had this story to tell: roughly 30 days prior (per her account, around late June/early July), she spoke to our neighbor (not us) about our mail delivery. This neighbor falsely told her that our house was vacant and that no mail should be delivered to our address. Based on that information alone, without consulting us, the mail carrier took our mail & held it pending change of address request.

We had absolutely no idea that this is why our mail was AWOL, and during the 4 times we went to the post office and once to the annex, no one told us this was happening. Per the mail carrier, since the mail wasn't picked up after 10 days she sent it all back to sender and began returning mail as it came in. Between roughly 6-8-17 & 8-3-17, the only mail we received was the accumulated mail after the 2-week hold we put on the mail ourselves. Five separate visits to the post office and the annex in June and July after the mail started going MIA in June 2017 and there was never any held mail to pick up during that time, and no one ever told us that this was occurring or how to resolve it.

The delivery supervisor has since told us the postal carrier is being disciplined and mail delivery has indeed resumed as of last week, but we're extremely unhappy that this happened at all. It was highly inappropriate for the mail carrier to speak to any neighbor about our mail delivery and she should never have used that sole piece of information from a neighbor to determine her course of action and hold our mail without our permission and without confirmation. She also should have notified us of the mail being held, which wasn't done. We also dispute her timeline: she stated that she began holding mail for us approximately late June 2017, which is untrue. We noticed delivery issues in early to mid-June, and we began researching the delivery issues in person at the post office and annex five separate times starting mid-late June and ending on 7-31-17.

We requested any and all held mail be given to us during each of these visits and no held mail could be located during that time. If her timeline is right, one of our visits should have coincided with the 10-day pickup time she said was determined for us, and there was never any held mail that could be located. We are currently and will be dealing with the repercussions of this mail carrier's actions for months to come. Thanks for blind-siding us and acting inappropriately and unprofessionally, USPS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

A very expensive item from Germany has been lost in ISC NY where it left its last trace according to the tracking number. If you google "NY JFK mail theft" you'll be inundated with news and police reports. Still, the situation did not improve over the years. Everybody know New York is full of thieves, but these blatant atrocities has been ongoing under the sunlight for years after years and USPS simply doesn't give a rat's ** about it. Someone needs to file a mass tort against USPS, or at least file a FOIA request on number of reported missing mails during the last 10 years.

I'm writing this letter to say thank you to your staff **. Yesterday I left my Diploma and some important files at post office. It takes me some time to realize and I think I might lost it forever. The great things is your staff ** keep that for me. When I get the folder I tried to give her some cash reward and she refused. I am so happy I can get my documents back. All the staff at 7 AVENUE DE LAFAYETTE is very kind and helpful. Thanks again for the help!

I call them back and open a case with the tracking number and the complaint (misdelivered dozens of pieces to other peoples mailbox) goes nowhere, because the performance remains the same. My request for compensation goes unheeded and I've heard that even if the parcel is insured they will not allow a claim when tracking shows that it is delivered.

I use USPS for EBAY packages. Whenever I order something It shows that it was scanned in and what time and after that, NOTHING! I called my post office, along with the Kearny NJ post office but magically, the item has disappeared into thin air AND I HEAR THIS HAPPENS A LOT. Now I'm wondering why there is no accountability of that post office and how they deny any responsibility since the package landed there, and now it's gone. ** are they doing with all these missing packages. This has happened too many times. I use any other delivery service I get my **. THEY LEAVE IT AT THE BACK DOOR IF THEY HAVE TO but what am I gonna do.

I can't control the persons choice when I buy something off eBay. So far I've lost a phone I ordered a game a screen protector some personal things a friend sent, and now a phone case which was scheduled for today and hasn't moved once. I sit outside waiting and watch the mail man clearly skip me when I'm expecting things.

I remember when postal jobs were top-drawer positions - you almost had to KNOW somebody to get in. Today, the USPS seems to hire apathetic employees, prevaricating (lying) customer service, and nurture an absence of diligence. About one (1) year ago, a package full of medications went missing. Found that the postal carrier "couldn't find the address" - after "knocking on some doors" allegedly. So the meds were returned to sender. I was lucky to have a diligent pharmacist, who knew we needed the meds, and it was during the pharmacist's call we learned of a "problem" with package delivery - only with USPS! We filled out, and submitted, an authentic, post office form regarding package-handling. I felt the need for same was excessive, but our medications come by mail, so preventing future problems seemed reasonable. Until an attempted/missing delivery on Tuesday, July 25, 2017.

On July 25, 2017, we were supposed to get a package from Amazon. We did not. Tracking showed USPS had delivered same, but a quick call to Amazon, and conference calls between USPS, Amazon, and us proved otherwise. A USPS "investigation" was implemented. Investigations, per USPS typically last 2-3 business days.

Day 1: USPS called our home saying the package "was delivered to a local business." Okay. And... Why hadn't said business returned package TO USPS? Strange, right? Day 2: USPS called (Saturday, like working a weekend makes ANY difference on the perception of their flawed processes) our home stating: "The carrier said the package was left by the steps." My first reaction: utter BS. Specific orders have been left - and REITERATED upon implementation of current, USPS investigation - that ALL packages delivered by USPS MUST be left ON THE PORCH. No packages are to be left "by steps," in "mailbox," or "at neighbors." Further, ALL NAMES, of EVERY PERSON RESIDING AT THIS ADDRESS, were detailed/submitted on the "USPS package-handling, instruction-form."

Day 2 (11:30 am): Regular carrier (versus part-time carrier) delivered package! Apologized for USPS dropping the ball. Delivering-carrier questioned; found package was NOT delivered to correct address. Further, remember the carrier had TWO stories about where/how delivery was made, somewhat solidifying her... errors. Package assessed for damage at 2:15 pm heat (we've been in triple-digits for about a week) got to one item, after 4 (four) days in Limbo..."on the steps... at the business..."

Package contents were perishable, and yes one item perished. Why? Absence of due diligence by USPS by not delivering correctly and in a timely manner, letting heat get to items. Will contact Amazon about resultant shoddy delivery, and replacement. Shame on Amazon continuing their collaboration with USPS. Shame on USPS trying to pass off delivery excellence, and covering (sloppily!) with inaccurate defense(s), when delivery did not occur as promised and/or stated for this package.

We've had several packages stolen. Told the mail person on the phone to tell them to stop doing that. The very next day something is thrown in front of the door. Had a package say it was delivered to a parcel locker. Never got it. Called the post office. The guy said it was put in the locker. It wasn't. Then said they would get in touch with the carrier and call back. Never called back. Still haven't gotten my package. We've had horrible carrier after, horrible carrier. I think to deliver mail you have to have a single digit I.Q.

Paid additional for certified delivery with proof of date, time & signature. Proof Came back missing all the information. It's the fifth time the USPS has underperformed for a service they charge extra for. To make matters worse Pete the Postmaster in Cedar Michigan really didn't care and made it clear that if he didn't find any new information he WOULD NOT call me.

I signed up for a p.o. box, and prepaid for 3 months - to end/renew on July 31. Even though I only needed the box for 3 months, it was more economical to use auto pay - I believe I saved $6-$9. On July 6, I rec'd a notice that my bill would be due on July 31 and to please make my payment (even though I had auto pay?) On July 25, I went into the branch, picked up my mail, walked up to complete a change of address, and close the p.o. box. Come to find out, they had already charged my card for the next 3 months. They actually charged on July 17!!! They charged me for another 3 months almost 2 weeks early. The only good thing I will say about this, the post office employee kept looking confused and seemed to be having a hard time finding my account. She finally admitted they had already charged me, and promptly refunded my money.

This simply illustrates the incompetence, ineptitude, and carelessness (as in they could "care-less"). They neither have any responsibility, nor any answer-ability... as demonstrated by this useless webpage to provide their disgruntled customers an outlet to vent their frustrations and anger against such a monolithic and uncompetitive organization... who will spend tens of millions in advertising their inferior services (to UPS and FedEX). The USPS survival as an autonomous organization is clearly dependent on taxpayer support and funding. My own outrage began with someone sending me an emergency of my blood pressure medication (that I ran out of). It was a simple matter for the USPS to get the small Priority Mail Box ($7.65) from Phoenix AZ to Long Beach CA.

The Priority box went out on Thursday afternoon from a Phoenix P.O. Considering the close proximity of Phoenix to L.A., it should have only taken 2 days- i.e. delivery on Saturday. There was obviously NO delivery on Saturday-- as could have reasonably been expected. Okay, we'll give the USPS guys an extra contingency delivery day considering their anticipated low level of competence. ALAS, no delivery on Monday either. I could have had the box delivered by bicycle within that time, but now that my blood pressure is through the roof because of the USPS's incapability to perform simple tasks-- like delivering the mail, I now tracked my package to ascertain where the USPS predictability screwed up:

1) The package was received by the post office on Thursday afternoon at 1:55PM. 2) July 20, 2017, 5:08 pm Arrived at USPS Facility PHOENIX, AZ 85028. 3) July 20, 2017, 8:58 pm Arrived at USPS Regional Facility PHOENIX AZ. 4) July 22, 2017, 2:18 am Arrived at USPS Regional Facility BETHPAGE NY. 5) July 22, 2017, 2:20 am Departed USPS Regional Facility BETHPAGE NY. 6) In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO LONG BEACH, CA 908024718. The item is currently in transit to the destination as of July 24, 2017 at 9:20 am. It is on its way to LONG BEACH, CA 908024718. According to the USPS tracking, the package simply sat in Phoenix on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and finally on Sunday-- some dumbass USPS employee sent the package off-- not to Los Angeles distribution facility, but across the country to Bethpage Long Island, NY.

Perhaps these inept postal workers that sit there and collect fat government checks and pensions-- should let more qualified temporary seasonal employees like high school students, show the post office how to be more efficient. If they let the robots run things, the robots would certainly know the difference between the East coast, and the West coast. This **-up is totally inexcusable and an outrage... Would anyone want fly on an airplane built with this level of competence? Why should the USPS get a free-pass... and not be answerable for such colossal incompetence?

I mail letters to Albany from Plattsburgh, New York. It takes at least a week to deliver a letter that is about 2.5 hours away by automobile. I've sent letters to Orlando, (St Cloud) Florida, and it takes anywhere from 8-14 days. It's simply another government fiasco. I'm now in overdraft because the gd mail takes now over 8 days to travel 2.5 hours by car. I'm going to stop using them altogether. When I call the post office, if I don't have a tracking number... Tough. So the USPS has no responsibility whatsoever for a first class letter. Oh, that's JUST GREAT! Plattsburgh is a very depressed town, and they don't even sort the mail here. It travels to Albany to get sorted.

I would give Zero star if I could. USPS is HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! I shipped a package a month ago to China with a tracking number on the receipt they provided, they said the package should be arriving within a week. After one month waiting, the package is still not arrived. I called the customer service and waited on the phone for over 2 hours. Tim, a supervisor on the west coast, told me that the tracking number USPS provided is NOT trackable even inside the US, they can't find where the package is. I asked him if the tracking number USPS provided to customers is not trackable, why USPS provides to customers? Why can't they tell customers at the very beginning? He said it's their USPS SYSTEMS FAULT. Sounds like he can't do anything about it. So here was a heavy lesson I bought with a heavy money: DO NOT USE USPS SERVICE UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY SHIPPING PACKAGES GETTING LOST!

I have made a priority international shipment and they said it will be delivered in 3-5 business days but it has not been delivered and I was charged 62$. The most worst and stupid service within complete US. Never prefer it.

I have filed 34 complaints over the last two years regarding my USPS mail pickup/delivery service and have yet to receive any resolution. I’ve spoken to local, regional, and national customer service representatives of the USPS to no avail. Starting in early 2015, I began scheduling package pick-ups through the USPS for priority mail packages – a service they offer and frequently advertise and promote. My mail carrier would only follow through with these scheduled pick-ups occasionally. At first, I told myself “he just forgot” or “everybody makes mistakes sometimes.” After it happened for about the 5th time, I decided I needed to file a complaint through the USPS. A cycle of missed pickups, filed complaints, and lack of response has continued ever since.

The vast majority of the complaints I file are ignored. In fact, anytime I file a complaint about a package pickup request that was skipped, a few hours later I receive an email stating the package pickup was successfully completed. At first the blatant lying shocked me, but it has become an ongoing occurrence. I actually expect it now. On the rare occasion I have had the opportunity to speak to a local representative (perhaps two or three out of my 34 complaints), those conversations all followed the same pattern – the representative says they talked to my mail carrier, the mail carrier claims he never missed a pickup, and the representative tells me the problem has been resolved. They brushed me off completely.

In 2016, and a full year into my problems with the mail carrier, I installed a camera. I then had proof he never even set foot on my porch on days he skipped mail pickups and then filed false successful pickup reports. The availability of this proof has done nothing to change the situation. The camera is still there. He still skips pickups – and lies about it – and no one does anything. I’m really at a loss as of what to do next. How can this kind of terrible performance be overlooked and ignored for so long? I’m not asking for special treatment. I’m only asking for the USPS to provide a service they are supposed to provide, but quite frankly I have no idea how to make that happen.

I mailed my international registered parcel from Europe to US. My parcel went through EU. It made above all continents and oceans in two days. My parcel arrived on the US border in New York. It has been held there for NINE days! I have only five books in this parcel, which has been going to Boston College Department of Philosophy. I assume that US postal workers read all these books during nine days of holding. I want to know is it any postal service improvement after holding and reading my philosophy textbooks?

Sent several mailings out certified mail, signature required, return receipt - paid for the services. Two were delivered but the signature return receipt was never returned. One was delivered as regular mail, and I wouldn't have even known, if I hadn't called the receiver to find out if they received it, because the on-line status is not updated and unknown. If we are going to pay for a services that are not provided. They should have to provide a refund!

I sent a letter containing tickets to a National League Baseball game on Sunday July 16. The letter was mailed from the post office on July 11 and had to go about 70 miles. Normal first class mail is typically delivered in one day, but I upped the postage to priority mail just to be sure. This cost me $6.65. The tickets arrived on July 17 - too late for the game and because I did not up the postage to tracking and insurance I am out the 6.65. Buyer beware. The Post Office is not to be relied upon!!! They have the worst customer service.

There was a package sent to me from eBay. I got a notification that the package would be delivered on the 15 of July 2017. When that didn't happen I tracked the package to find there was an attempted delivery and a note was left at around 6 pm. Well I'm home and no delivery or note on my door. I noticed the wrong zip code so I'm thinking they attempted to deliver to the wrong address. Upon contacting them on the 17th Monday at work when they opened the phone service said the hold time was an hour and 40 minutes. Couldn't do that so I called the seller. He attempted to help by opening a search.

I finally got someone on the phone that evening after a hour hold time just for them to tell me I had to wait for a response to the search which takes 3 days. I asked how did the zip code or whatever caused the package to be re-routed and she never answered. She said they'll look into that but someone has to pay for it to go to another address. Don't know if it's some type of scam but all the info is correct on the sender's website. USPS's customer service is laughable and their ability to handle a package is even worse. I wish I could give zero stars!

ONE star is still very generous! I dropped two packages, which came with prepaid shipping labels, at a USPS location at 2499 Judiway ST, Houston Texas. I asked for the acceptance receipts and USPS charged $1.35 for each box. If this makes sense, the bank can charge you for the receipt of your deposit. In fact, I lost a package of $900 at USPS just because I did not ask for the receipt (USPS, if you read this I can give you the tracking number and details so you can go investigate!).

I ordered a medical test kit because I had thyroid issues making me die from heat this summer. It was a very expensive test ($400). I had it scheduled for delivery at my work address. I learned the carrier did drop by twice while we were open and DID NOT EVEN STEP THROUGH THE OFFICE DOOR (our door makes a very loud popping sound when opened to where I can hear it!) and marked in his log "BUSINESS CLOSED WHEN ATTEMPTED". I called the local post office angry the next business day to complain: "YOUR CARRIERS ARE LIARS FALSIFYING DELIVERY INFO!" I got my medical kit the same day of my complaint because our employee was outside in our parking lot, and the carrier handed it to the employee... my account on Amazon.com did not record the delivery, either, and said the next attempt for the delivery would be 2 days later.

My product was shipped via USPS and I still have not received anything because for the first time ever the carrier left a slip in my mail box rather than leaving the product - I have called USPS multiple times daily and not once have spoken with a person and tried online to reschedule deliver which I am told is not an option as I went to the link multiple times and received an automated message I could not reschedule plus they don't answer the phone and I sat at my desk for an hour waiting for a call back that ended up being a recording and when I followed the prompts I got NOTHING. I want my shipment left and I can't TALK with anyone!! Communicating with the recipient is non-existent.

On 6/9/2017, I mailed a tan birthday card in the collection box on Vassar Drive and Freeland in Detroit, Michigan at 7 AM. The box indicated pickup would be at 1 pm. I had a return address in Detroit and the card was going to a P.O. box in Riverside, California. I made sure I had the correct postage and address. I'd made the mistake of putting some cash in the card. I figured whoever felt up the envelope would not feel anything like a gift card and would not be tempted to steal it. Boy was I wrong!!! This is the 7 mile, James Couzens area which is serviced by the 7 Oaks mail station.

It is now 6/29/17 and the card was never delivered to its destination. I called the U.S. Postal Inspector who referred me to the Office of Inspector General. Both call center personnel were very nice but told me if I just "mailed" something without a tracking #, I was out of luck. Apparently if there was a "trend" of complaints coming from a particular area, they could look into but... "Tough cookies lady."

Now you ask, "Why would I think employees at the 7 Oaks are stealing?" My sister mailed a birthday on 6/6/17. She put it in the mail slot at the 7 Oaks postal station. Guess what people, her card has yet to show up at its intended destination also!!! She had enclosed a check! I believe that the thief(ves) are targeting envelopes that look like they contain cards and money and/or gift cards. My sister also attempted to file a complaint with the offices I mentioned earlier.

The agent I spoke with at the Office of Inspector General indicated there were several opportunities for the mail to be stolen. This is a warning for anyone using the U. S. Postal Service. Do not assume your letters or cards will reach their destination with merely an address and stamp. You must, I repeat must pay extra to obtain a tracking. I believe that's the only part of the mailing process that may deter an internal thief. I learned the hard way.

I use USPS for mail delivery on my EBAY packages. I sent a package out with an item valued at 35.00. The tracking number shows the travel of the package right up to the destination post office in NY. It shows that it was scanned in and what time and after that NOTHING! I put tracers on it and called my post office, along with the NY post office but magically, the item has disappeared into thin air. Now I'm wondering why there is no accountability of that post office since the package landed there and now it's gone... where??? I could see if it was lost in transit but no, it was scanned in at the post office where it was to be delivered from. What recourse do we have when this happens. They should be accountable. I refunded the customer their money and now I'm out that money and the product. What can we do about something like this?

I purchased an item from an online store that only offered USPS. There was standard shipping and then expedited two day shipping for 32 dollars. Unless the trucks are out in neighborhoods overnight, the status updates are incorrect as my product was out for delivery from my local post office for 36 hours. I checked the status on day of delivery and it says they attempted to deliver but no one was there to accept. The notice was in the mailbox and my fiance is a stay at home mom, so I am led to believe that no attempt was made and in reality they intended for me to pick it up from the beginning. I feel cheated out of my shopping costs, because I expected to have my item today, but the notice says to come pick it up at 8:30 the next day. I suspect this problem is standard operating procedures for this company and if possible will never use their service again. Dishonest and lazy.

We are constantly getting other people's mail in our box. We are not receiving our mail. Our Lowe's bill has gone MIA for the past 2 months. All the girl will say is, "I'll try to do better". So sad!!

My package has been in a different state for 35 days. I have contacted USPS by phone and countless emails, also opened up claims. USPS will not help at all. It is really sad but there is nothing a person can do. I will be using UPS as much as possible because if they (UPS) lose a package they will resolve issue in 48 hours. USPS will never resolve issue.

USPS Company Profile