2. Moving
  3. Shipping Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.66/5
Based on 4,647 ratings submitted in the last year

USPS Reviews

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

I had a package being delivered and have my house gated and with two big dogs. My USPS driver got rubber bands together and tied up my package, then tied it to the gate so it was hanging halfway on the fence so the dogs wouldn’t get it. He went out of his way so my package wouldn’t be ripped apart. Thank you so much!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I had the most awesome experience with USPS and this is why... I ordered something on eBay and in my haste to order I gave them the wrong shipping address to my office (I was off by one number). When I tried to contact the seller prior to the shipment, they didn't reply in a timely manner. I tried to intercept the package with USPS, but they were having technical difficulties so I called them. Yeah I waited a good 40 minutes to get someone on the phone and they told me I couldn't intercept the package only the shipper could and it would cost $14.00, so I kept pursuing a remedy.

Somewhere along my pursuit I was told to go to the distribution center once I know the package got there (I was getting text updates on my phone). When I got to what I thought was the distribution center, I was told the distribution center is off limits to the public and I was at a Post Office. There a woman gave me a consumer affairs number to call which was local. That person said it was possible that he could let staff know once the package got to my local post office to hold it for me for pickup because it would automatically go back to the sender when they see that the wrong address wasn't even a deliverable address. The representative gave me a confirmation number.

The next day I got a call from my local post office saying they haven't found my package, but they are aware of the situation and will let my carrier know. The next day I got another call that they found my package and my carrier will deliver it to me on Saturday, which was today. Luckily my husband was working at the office so he was able to accept it and I didn't have to wait until Tuesday (after Columbus Day). Honestly, you would have thought I was a V.I.P. with connections or had some really important item needing to get to me. They were so amazingly courteous, caring and professional over a simple package. Way to go USPS and the staff at the Miami Consumer Affairs Office as well as my North Miami Post office. T H R I L L E D.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

For the past 20 years we have been shipping packages from our post office in Kihei, Maui, Hawaii, to our children on the mainland without any problems. The USPS Priority Mail service and especially their tracking updates are always excellent. Every package is always delivered on time, or even earlier than expected, and no fragile item has ever broken. We have wanted to give them this review for years, but did not know where to do it. Everyone in this post office is a friend by now, and we cannot praise all of them enough. THANK YOU ALL!

Original review: July 3, 2019

Have always received my parcels in the time frame that was indicated and placed in the correct location. Have had issues with deliveries from UPS that have been left at the wrong unit of the 3-unit Rental home I reside in. Seems the post office knows what a label means when it says unit #2 and deliveries to unit #2.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I don't ship as much now as I did when I sold on eBay but USPS remains my favorite. I usually ship small to medium sized items and I love the free boxes and the price and I never had a complaint from a customer over shipping costs or poor packaging. Twice I needed professional packing for expensive artwork and other than that my post office served me and continues to serve me so well. It makes a huge difference to me to be helped by people who have know me for years. They always find the best way for me to ship anything.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

Has anyone noticed at their end when using USPS.com calculator that packages that were, in my case, $27 dollars a week ago are now $54 this week almost double the cost? WTH! How can that be? I totally understand price hike but 85% that's crazy. Same package via UPS is only $21 dollars. I try to use USPS exclusively. Kind of my way of keeping the money in the family making America Great Again. But at this rate,. no pun intended, I won't be shipping USPS for much longer. It's ludicrous!! I'm hoping it's a glitch really but can't get anyone to admit to the problem. Even eBay is unsure what's happening ... smh.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I received an email from a shipper that my order had been delivered, however it was nowhere to be found. The same day I got a phone call from a person on the other side of town saying that he had found a package addressed to me sitting on the ground in the parking area. When I went to pick up my package the gentleman explained that he had found it sitting on the ground earlier in the day. Fortunately, I still have a land line, so he could find my contact in the local phone book.

Clearly their system is broken if they can report a package as delivered when, in fact, it was sitting on the ground a couple of miles away from the address on the label. This is not the first time I have had package delivery issues. Within the last 2 weeks I found a missing "delivered" package in the mail box of a neighbor with the same house number but on a different street. This issue has been ongoing for years, but the local PO does not seem to be able to correct it.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I made the mistake of sending a cashier's check through them. It just had to go from Philadelphia to NYC. According to the tracking the letter ended up in Phoenix, AZ somehow, then the tracking just stalled on "in transit". Speaking to them on the phone, I learned basically there are no guarantees with 1-3 days priority mail and I was SOL. (Fortunately the bank is stopping payment on the check.)

I've had issues with the delivery person not re-delivering packages/knocking on the door to begin with in Philadelphia too but that's easier to let slide, a package can't just be stuffed in a mailbox and perhaps they're overworked. This however is an unacceptable final straw. I should think mailing a letter from Philadelphia to NYC would be a cakewalk for a mailing service but either Philly USPS is inept or USPS in general just can't hack it anymore. If it's important to you, don't make my mistake and send it through USPS, it's a crap shoot that it will get there.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Twice now I have ordered something on Amazon and didn't receive my package when I was supposed to because of a "delay" in our postal service. The first time this happened, when I finally did get it, two days after the day I was supposed to, all I got was an empty envelope. Thankfully amazon refunded my entire purchase. When I get this one I better get more than an empty box or envelope.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I have spoken to USPS twice now via phone, about getting other people’s mail, neighbors bringing me my mail, and packages left out in the rain - given case numbers and then told after the second time, that Consumer Affairs would contact me. Hasn't happened. What is my next step? I am having my packages sent to my parents home due to the awful service in my town. And this complaint resonates citywide on social media, so it’s not just one person having trouble. I’m hoping to get action for us all!

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team