2. Moving
  3. Shipping Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.66/5
Based on 4,753 ratings submitted in the last year

USPS Reviews

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I had the most awesome experience with USPS and this is why... I ordered something on eBay and in my haste to order I gave them the wrong shipping address to my office (I was off by one number). When I tried to contact the seller prior to the shipment, they didn't reply in a timely manner. I tried to intercept the package with USPS, but they were having technical difficulties so I called them. Yeah I waited a good 40 minutes to get someone on the phone and they told me I couldn't intercept the package only the shipper could and it would cost $14.00, so I kept pursuing a remedy.

Somewhere along my pursuit I was told to go to the distribution center once I know the package got there (I was getting text updates on my phone). When I got to what I thought was the distribution center, I was told the distribution center is off limits to the public and I was at a Post Office. There a woman gave me a consumer affairs number to call which was local. That person said it was possible that he could let staff know once the package got to my local post office to hold it for me for pickup because it would automatically go back to the sender when they see that the wrong address wasn't even a deliverable address. The representative gave me a confirmation number.

The next day I got a call from my local post office saying they haven't found my package, but they are aware of the situation and will let my carrier know. The next day I got another call that they found my package and my carrier will deliver it to me on Saturday, which was today. Luckily my husband was working at the office so he was able to accept it and I didn't have to wait until Tuesday (after Columbus Day). Honestly, you would have thought I was a V.I.P. with connections or had some really important item needing to get to me. They were so amazingly courteous, caring and professional over a simple package. Way to go USPS and the staff at the Miami Consumer Affairs Office as well as my North Miami Post office. T H R I L L E D.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

For the past 20 years we have been shipping packages from our post office in Kihei, Maui, Hawaii, to our children on the mainland without any problems. The USPS Priority Mail service and especially their tracking updates are always excellent. Every package is always delivered on time, or even earlier than expected, and no fragile item has ever broken. We have wanted to give them this review for years, but did not know where to do it. Everyone in this post office is a friend by now, and we cannot praise all of them enough. THANK YOU ALL!

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I don't ship as much now as I did when I sold on eBay but USPS remains my favorite. I usually ship small to medium sized items and I love the free boxes and the price and I never had a complaint from a customer over shipping costs or poor packaging. Twice I needed professional packing for expensive artwork and other than that my post office served me and continues to serve me so well. It makes a huge difference to me to be helped by people who have know me for years. They always find the best way for me to ship anything.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

These days, UPS is so much more expensive than USPS, so we use the post office. Plus, they have locations everywhere and their tracking has become more efficient. It remains a wonder to me that for just 50 cents, you can mail a letter anywhere in the U.S. and it will be there in just 2-3 days. In order for me to UPS or FedEx a letter anywhere in the U.S., it will cost me between $16 - $68, depending upon whether I want it to go 2-day or overnight and that is ridiculous. Packages are even higher now. Whereas a decade ago, it made sense to use UPS or FedEx, that is simply no longer the case with USPS' capabilities.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

There is no comparison between the post office service and UPS. Whereas UPS throws (yes, THROWS) the packages onto our porch, the mail carriers ALWAYS rings our bell and places our packages neatly in the corner of our porch. I would especially like to mention that, early on Christmas Eve, as we were literally pulling out of the driveway for a 3-hour trip without our grandson's gifts (which was delayed by the seller), our postal carrier pulled up behind our car and placed the boxes in the trunk of our car! Normally, because of the layout of his route, our mail does not arrive until much later in the day, but because he noticed the shipper, he said he "had a feeling" it was supposed to have arrived sooner and he wanted to make sure it got to us "before Santa left." HE was our real Santa that day!

While I acknowledge that UPS drivers are hard-workers with a lot of pressure, none of the drivers on our route have ever been very friendly; however, every USPS mail carrier on this route in 10 years has been beyond pleasant and treated our packages with care. When my spouse was incapacitated, a couple carriers even hand-delivered our mail to the house, rather than leave it in our mailbox across the street. I have nothing but kind words about our postal workers - both the carriers and the workers at the local office.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I have been using the USPS and it has worst delivery service in US. They steal uninsured packages all the time. They will mark it as delivered when in fact it never reached your house. And you can not retrieve anything. Use UPS or FedEx for your own safety.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I tried for two days to contact the Main Street post office (the main post office) in St. George, UT to report a broken latch on my mailbox but no one would answer the phone leaving my mail unsecured and vulnerable. I then tried to 800 number for the postal customer service and their directory will not accept a particular department request--it's on a loop that only leads to directory choices. This is such bad service; who's responsible for this?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I've been filing complaints with USPS for over 20 years at my current address. Tired of my mail being lost and getting other people's mail. NOTHING is ever done. All I get in return is "we'll talk to the carrier". We all know the definition of insanity is repeating the same process expecting different results.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

We sent out all of our save the dates a few months back, only half got there and then we sent a follow up batch where none of them preceded to get delivered. Was extremely discouraged and when trying to resolve the issue I was put on hold for an hour before given the opportunity to even talk to a HUMAN BEING.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

I have never, not even once received a package in a timely manner. Every single package arrives 10 days to 2 weeks late. The tracking shows all my items stalled in a check-in facility for a week without moving or leaving the location. Even after the estimated delivery date is way past due.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team