1.88/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

7408 USPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I been mailing letters and boxes for many years now. My experience is that the USPS has lots of business with not great service towards the customers. I didn't get some letters from overseas. Everything has to be written perfectly on the letter. If not it's not going to be delivered. When I get my receipt in the post office they want you to take a survey. But for what? To see that this business is overworked with its load?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I have no issues with my local post office. They are great, always very helpful and they quickly answered the phone but if you need to talk to the USPS representative and ask for their help then good luck to that. First I waited for almost an hour on the phone without any luck talking to someone. I hang up and called again, this time I requested to have them call me back. After about an hour 1/2 later, A representative called me back. She tracked the package and told me where exactly the package was. I asked for the reason why it was not delivered. She said the address was insufficient. I asked if she can correct it but for some reason she can't help me. She told me to call the local number. She gave me a local contact number to call but unfortunately that local number does not work.

I googled the local contact number. I may have called that number more than a dozen of times within the past 2 hours but no one answered, it just kept on ringing. So I called the customer service again. I dreaded it because I know I have to wait another hour or so. This time the representative called me back within an hour. I told her the situation but then again just like the other representative she told me that she can't help me, only the local post office. I tried to explain to her that I have been calling every 10 mins or so within the span of 2 hours but no one answered, she said, “Call them back between 1 o'clock or 2. They may just been so busy.”

This time it's already past 2 pm and I still did not accomplish anything. I gave another try to call the local number but still it just kept on ringing. I was thinking and praying that there has to be a person in the customer service that is willing to help me. I mean it's their job. All they have to do is to put a note and put the correct address, I realized now that it maybe the ZIP code. Maybe a Third time's a charm. Sure enough an angel name Rosie helped me. She said, “Not to worry. I will help you get this package deliver immediately.” She asked me with the complete address and she noted a request to the local post office to have my package redeliver again to my daughter. Within about 5 minutes or so, just like that she did what she needed to do.

My daughter texted me happily the following day that her package was delivered safe and sound. What I'm trying to convey on this review is that, Why some of them (USPS representative) won't even try? Is that so hard a job to do? No wonder a lot of people avoid USPS delivery nowadays. How can you compete with FedEx, UPS, Amazon, etc.? And why Rosie was able to quickly, easily helped me without any hesitation with a jubilant helpful voice. God bless her heart. Someone is still true to their job.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have had problems with the carrier not delivering packages for 2 years. He falsifies delivery records (he never even puts the packages on his vehicle) and lies about safety. According to him, everything is unsafe. I'm surprised he even leaves the local facility... or even shows up to work. After all, he could get a paper cut. The carrier complains about safety, yet there are no safety issues with the UPS or FedEx drivers. UPS and FedEx have delivered here with zero issues my entire time living here. My lazy liar carrier makes me pick up everything. We have to take time off work to pick up packages and drive 20 miles total even though we have made it very easy for the USPS to deliver them. I have complained and argued numerous times with zero progress.

The postmaster doesn't care and is argumentative and defends the carrier's laziness. The postmaster's boss (senior operating manager) doesn't care. USPS.com complaints simply redirect to the postmaster. Consumer Affairs takes the side of the postmaster and wants to close cases immediately, whether the customer is satisfied or not. The customer is irrelevant to this company and the minimal energy actually expended by USPS is only to reinforce their own laziness and terrible service. I guess the monopolistic nature of the company allows them not to care at all. I vow to complain about USPS whenever and wherever I can, to post videos of their terrible and rude behavior whenever and wherever I can, and to continue to complain to online sellers who use their inferior services and ask them to consider alternative shippers. I hope my lazy carrier quits and stays home in a bubble inside a fallout shelter, so he can be safe.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I have had numerous issues with my local post office with receiving packages. My regular carrier and subs tend to not want to carry packages with them. I guess because they don’t want to lug the weight. So they leave the packages in the truck and try to drive the truck up to the house to drop off packages. But most time they forget and drive off. I have a business and I use my home address for some of my mail to come to. I had a package that had my name and business name on it with the address.

The post say they couldn’t deliver cause the address was familiar. So I had to go to my local post office to pick the package up in person and had to show proof it was my address because the said the name wasn’t recognized on the package. Remember my name and business name is on the package. How can people make decent money and not want to perform their job correctly. This is why immigrant come to this country and bust their tail for less money. I say if you find people who can’t do their jobs find someone who can.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

It company employed many people with the most nastiest attitudes. They make you feel the customer is not important. Often the rudeness turns me to search for other shipping company. The distastefulness how they handle one's parcels is very disturbing. It is very upsetting that when we pay extra for shipping an item that is suppose to be delivered by a certain date and it never is delivered on time. I will no longer do any kind of business with USPS company. Between the theft of our packages from the employees and not attempting to deliver to receivers address and leaving packages unattended for anyone to take is disheartening.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Two packages have been missing, one was mailed in December and the other mailed Feb 7, 2019. Neither package was received and the tracking information says in transit. What is so hard about sending a package in the mail? Both items were taken to a post office and mailed first class and should have been delivered within a week. I called and waited on the phone for an hour just to be told that they would check on my package and would call me back by last Tuesday. Then they said if they did not contact me by Tuesday to call back. I mentioned I had already spent my time online trying to track both packages and I also followed up with a phone call and now they want ME to call them back if THEY don't call ME back. And waste another hour? Horrible service.

I will NEVER use USPS again to mail packages. My friends tell me they have had the same experience. Not only did my packages not arrive, and no help from a phone call to try to track my packages, the online app will not allow you to check the boxes you need to check for tracking. I mentioned this to the person on the phone and they told me other people who called in told her the same thing about the app not working. I would give a zero rating but I was forced to select at least one star. Horrible, incompetent people and very poor service. DO NOT USE USPS. What is the USPS doing with ALL these missing packages?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I use to love this company. Always had packages delivered on time with Priority but something has happened over the past 2 years. I've had a package being mailed from New York to Florida by Priority take 10 business days with complete nonsense tracking. Just this week I mailed a package from Florida to a friend in New York. I dropped the package off at the post office on Monday and sent it Priority. Tracking now shows that the package reached LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA of all places on Wednesday. How does a package that starts its route on the EAST COAST to another location on the EAST COAST end up on the WEST COAST two days later? Now tracking just says "In Transit to Next Facility". Makes zero sense. I'm glad the package wasn't time sensitive but I'll never use USPS to ship anything ever again. This company has turned into a complete joke.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

USPS is the only one I have good luck with. Every time I use FedEx or UPS there is nothing but aggravation. USPS is always second to none. Thank you for great service and customer support. It's nice when things go smooth without aggravation.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

On 2/12/19 the carrier AGAIN hung a package on the flag of my mailbox. The mailbox is broken and down. The agent at my local post office was very dismissive and told me that the carrier did the right thing (hanging the package on the flag) because I had probably not filled out some form telling the carrier where to leave packages! I tried to enter a complaint online but it would not go through. I waited on the telephone line for well over 1/2 hour and was then told there was nothing that she could do - that I should contact my local post office again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Simply put, forcing callers to wait on the phone with hold music for 45 minutes is a terrible practice! Offer us the option to receive a callback! Do you think we can just sit on hold and now allow our lives to move forward? I have other calls I need to make. I'm not waiting on you! Also, your driver attempts 1 delivery and brings my package back to the post office! What happened to leaving a slip and attempting to redeliver tomorrow! You guys are a joke.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

"On Hold For Over An Hour"...are you crazy! Why can't the USPS update their systems? If you have to wait for any period of time, they should have an automated system that returns your call when a representative is available. eBay does this. PayPal does this. So why can't the USPS do this? My issue was due to a USPS shipping label I created and then canceled immediately, because I wanted to add insurance. The shipping label as we all know contains a barcode. If a label is immediately cancelled, the barcode contains all the information needed to show that it was cancelled. So, why the unreasonable wait-time "Refund Pending"?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I was waiting on a package, a phone for my daughter in college. Granted there was a weekend in between, but the package took six days to travel 207 miles - inside the state of Virginia. No weather emergencies, no snow, no hurricanes just the postal service dragging their feet. When I go to the hub to ask if the package has the wrong address on it, maybe that's why it's taking so long, the guy looks my tracking information up on his 'phone' and when he realizes I was at the wrong hub, right around the corner from the delivery address, he stopped helping me!

I said, "You just looked the tracking information up, what did it say?" "You're at the wrong hub, you need to go to..." "That's not the point, if you can help me... help me! I apologize I came in the wrong hub but you already went through the steps and have the details." This service, the USPS, needs to be closed, immediately! This is the worst place with the worst customer service and they keep raising their fees! Close their doors, put all these horrible workers out of a job or send them to Walmart or Popeyes, they would fit in there - or DMV. That would be even a better fit for these slack people!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have lost 2 items in 6 months. They never respond. They just don't care. They only are polite when you have to pay and that's it. I lost $119 in two times when I go to USPS located at 2350 N University Dr. FL. I don't recommend this service facility.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have lost 2 items in 1 year through USPS. Affirmative action at its greatest. Oh doesn't matter if you are not right for the job! I gave USPS tracking information and their response, "We cannot find any tracking information contact the seller." Around and around it has gone since January 7. Order place December 28, 2018.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I ordered a package from an online seller for dog treats. Per the company they've stated that it's in the driver's discretion whether or not the package is left on the doorstep. So guess what. The package wasn't left on the doorstep. I wish they would tell you that it's a signed confirmation order. I ordered a $250 keyboard from Amazon and it sat on my doorstep for the entire day until I got home. This was just $30+ worth of dog treats. So I setup a re-delivery to my job. A day later Monday morning the mail lady shows up to my job with the re-delivery slip and not the package. How the hell does that even happen? Now I can't get it. USPS has no idea where my package is. The dog treat online seller has no idea where my package is. I'm currently on hold for 1hr. Then a voice comes on and says "Would you like to check out the status of your delivery? Check out informeddelivery.usps.com." Freaking absolutely!

I will go and pick the package up if I have to which is awesome at least I can get it. I go to log in through my job's account. NOPE has to be personal. Okay no problem. I create a personal account then they want me to verify it online or via SNAIL MAIL. Are you kidding? Online of course. So I sign up and it starts asking me questions of where I've lived. My mother and I have similar names so I realize it's asking me all kinds of questions that would pertain to her. I answer truthfully and guess what. "We couldn't verify you online". Wonderful. No informed delivery for me. I told the online seller that I might have to cancel this with my bank because I obviously don't have the product and I'm not paying for something I didn't receive. Absolutely ridiculous. The entire thing.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Envelope that was certified and mailed from Moscow, Idaho February 1st finally arrived in Boise Idaho February 8th. Really? Very very slow. Monitored the tracking. It left Moscow, routed to Spokane, Washington, routed to Seattle, Washington (WHAT?), THEN SENT TO FERNDALE, WASHINGTON where it sat because it couldn't find the address for our home in BOISE Idaho. Really! True story. OK - let's break this down. First of all the label was typed with very legible letters stating our name, address and our city of BOISE. Why did it get routed to Seattle? Why did this certified letter get sent and almost tossed in 'dead letter' bin? Who is running the USPS lately? And the postage went up on stamps. Give the USPS 1/2 STAR.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Had sent out a critical parts for manufacture and did not pay attention to the shipper selection screen. USPS was the default selection and they did as well of a job as would be expected of them... Part delivered to "individual" at an adjacent street name. We have still not been able to discover who took possession of this shipment or ever where it was delivered to. USPS has been rude and dismissive in their response, what little there has been. Massive amounts of money were sunk into the recreation and expediting of the machined components. Shipped next day by UPS with zero issue. USPS, not even once.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I paid for Priority Mail, Signature Confirmation. Tracking info kept saying "Alert" delay in shipping for days. When I contact the recipient, I was told, "Package had been delivered." Evidently, the poor delivery service did not scan for delivered. The website contacts don't work. Email says "not available at the time." Phone contact is quirky, when request for representative is finally received, you are told that "wait time is greater than one hour." It seem they know that no one will wait for an hour (less work for them). I cannot get Signature Confirmation online, as I am told that "package has not yet been delivered." Why are we paying for such rotten service. What are these people being paid for? Either shut it down or rehire competent and efficient workers.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I ordered a $2,000 gift to be delivered to my house. This gift was something that someone specifically wanted, and I could not feasibly go and attain it myself. The package specifically said that it had to be signed for. I was outside doing yard work and had been waiting for this package for quite some time. I saw a USPS driver drive past my house and carelessly toss a small box into my neighbor's mailbox.

I had a suspicion and decided to go and see what the box was, as I had been waiting for so long for this item and needed to see if this box contained it. Sure enough, it was what I had ordered, and the label had my correct address on it. That would have been $2,000 completely wasted because the delivery guy A) didn't care to get a signature for the box that said REQUIRES SIGNATURE and B) didn't bother to pay close enough attention to the largely displayed house numbers on both my and my neighbor's houses.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Well. This is the second time in 2 weeks that I had a package from Amazon that was guaranteed delivered by date. Both times I received a notification that it was delivered to my porch! Both times I was home and did not receive! Talked to customer support and they said sometimes it happens on Saturday!!! Then why do they submit it as delivered? Pure garbage!!!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Package mailed from Lithuania and received at Chicago Illinois international processing facility. Then shipped to Philadelphia Pe. processing facility. Destination is South Bend, Indiana less than 100 miles from Chicago, but the USPS in their "wisdom" sees fit to send back to East Coast for hopeful return to the Midwest. Terribly inefficient, adds cost, effort, and time to delivery assuming it is ever delivered. The USPS is an absolute joke!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

January 31 2019 I ordered 20 ounces of silver bullion. It was packaged and accepted by the Las Vegas postal service and checked in with a tracking number. After that it disappeared from the face of the earth. THIEVES!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I got for my birthday an awesome set of books which was being delivered from Germany. However, I was unaware that this would require a signature to be delivered. So, on Feb 4th I got a notification saying that the package was not delivered because I was not home (I was working). So, seeing that I scheduled a re-delivery for the next day the 5th, and got a confirmation and confirmation # for this request. So, on the 5th I stayed home all day waiting, however the carrier never showed up.

On the morning of the 6th of Feb I called and was told, "You can just go to the postal office and pick it up, no other action is necessary but here their phone number just in case." So, I called and called and called, they never picked up (after trying 5 times). Then, I went online and saw. You have to actually schedule a 'pick-up at the office', so I did and got a confirmation for my request for the same day and a confirmation number. After work I head to the office, waited, and then was told that my package was out for delivery because there was an order place to be delivered today at the address. Since they didn't have it there, I ran home putting on hold again all the things I needed to for that week (car registration, groceries, etc), and waited for my package. And waited, and waited, nobody showed up.

Next day morning of 7th of Feb I called already very upset about this, and was told a case was created for me and a request for the package to be delivered to the apartment's front office instead if no one answers, and also a request for be re-delivered on the same day. So, I again canceled all my responsibilities and appointments, and stayed home all day waiting for my package. And waited, and waited, and no carrier ever came.

Today, the 8th of February, again I called Customer Service and was told that all they can do is email the Post Office to say that I called about this, and nothing else, that to wait 3 business days for the response to this email, and 1 more business day for the response on the case created days ago. That if I wanted, I can call the Post Office even though nobody will answer, or to physically go there (again) and talk to the manager. So, I called the 813-989-7866 number because I'm working and can't leave, and called, and called and called (30+ times straight) to that office and no one picked up the phone.

It is UNBELIEVABLE to me that there is such awful communications with this office, that their carrier handling Allister Place Apartments, is so incompetent to not deliver this package when assigned to, that their Customer Service really all they can do is nothing and probably less than the website, that USPS provides services that they will not keep up with like the 'Schedule Pick-Up at Office" and "Schedule Re-delivery', that the actual Post Office will not be professional enough to answer customer phone calls, and that this service overall is just lousy overall.

Next time, definitely will consider spending $20 or more additional to have another carrier effectively and promptly handle my mail and orders. The time spent on this issue, and all the things I have to hold off on (still today the 8th won't be able to get my car registered), it is not worth the money nor recognition of this service. Hope people who appreciate organization and value their time won't make the same mistake I did, or my birthday present giver did.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been up and down my entire town through several USPS locations trying to do THEIR job of locating my package. No one knows anything, everyone just refers to me to another location. Tracking says it was received 2 days ago by Location A, yet they claim they only distribute to others. I've literally been to every single location and no one knows anything. I needed the package by 3 PM today for my job and this useless company lost my equipment. Absolutely pathetic. I'd rather drive across the state to pick up my tools personally next time than go through this garbage again. Would save more gas than driving like a maniac wasting my time.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

This place is HORRID. I sent my passport first-class certified mail from Dallas to a consulate in Houston on January 14. It was expected to arrive January 16. It is February 7 and they still haven't received it. The package shows "in transit". The customer service department in Houston is GROSS, lies and doesn't know what they are doing. My Congresswoman and Senator have currently opened a Congressional inquiry into this case. I should find out some updates about my case next week, but my package hasn't scanned since January 15, 2019.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My Daughter and Grandson visited me around the middle of January, 2019 for several days. A few hours after they left to return home, my Daughter realized she had left my Grandson's "blankie" that he had had since birth. She asked me to send it to her, and since it was going to a town 3 hours north in the same state, I sent it USPS. It was scheduled for a January 29, 2019 delivery, but never arrived. Now tracking just states something to the effect of my package is still on its way but will arrive later than expected. What a joke!

The last scan was at the Jacksonville, FL processing center. This center is notorious for stolen and/or lost packages, as well as opened packages with missing items. NO ONE is looking for this missing package. I've been calling a Consumer Affairs line in Jacksonville, and still NO ONE is looking for this package. A Ms. ** advised me to "give it several weeks," then file a claim. The cutoff for filing a claim is 60 days, so I have opened a missing mail case. I want my Grandson to get his package, but I will NEVER use USPS to deliver ANYTHING again!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I put in a request for a re-delivery two weeks ago for Monday Jan. 28th and I am still waiting. I called customer service and was told that it was up to the location 10201 Flatlands Ave, Brooklyn, NY to honor and process my request. What is the point of your service if that's the case???

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Why is it every time I need to mail something in Alexandria, MN post office there’s a line out the door? Why are there never enough working the lines down? One clerk, and I feel bad for him, he asks for help yet no one comes. Why? You’re a business... Don’t you want your customers to continue to come and be greeted with a friendly face and not wait in line for an hour or more? The women seem cold and catty, always demeaning one another when at the window, in front of customers at that. I have never seen another business look this pitiful.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

For twenty years my mom has been sending my son his Christmas USPS and insuring them. We never had a problem until this year when our box had been opened. Was damaged and there was 500.00 worth of things missing. We took the box back to be inspected and had to leave it with them. Which meant no Christmas from great grandma because the post office had it. Now two months later and they deny the claim saying there is no proof of damage to the box. It was only put back together and overtaped but their thieving employees who get away with it and my mom who by the way is not wealthy and 500.00 is a lot to lose, is out all that money. I recommend that you never insure because all they are doing is padding their pockets with your money and denying claims. What should I expect from yet another broken government entity.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

Delivery is terrible. I had three packages delivered to wrong addresses last week alone. It's an ongoing problem. It's been going on for years. Luckily two of three packages last week were actually brought to my house by the owners of those homes.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs