USPS

Compare Shipping Companies

Research top Shipping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I am a seller on eBay and just in the last 2 weeks the USPS has damaged two of my packages and sent another package to several states for 2 weeks. I always take extra packing box inside a box and plenty of bubbles and peanuts and they must have used my boxes as footballs. And what makes me mad is you can't talk to a human... so I keep pressing zero's and they put me on hold for over a hour to finally talk to someone that took my information and told me that wasn't her area and she would have someone call me... and of course I received no call... imagine that.

If you send a package priority it comes with 50 dollars insurance... which does you no good if you try to file a claim online because it does not recognize the tracking number. So then you have to somehow get to talk to a human so you can get a claim form sent to you, because the post offices do not have these to give to you. What really gets me is the prices you have to pay and the post office for shipping and the disrespect they have for the customer's packages.

I recently shipped a package and my claim was denied. I walked into the USPS store in Nashua NH in Feb this year. I ASKED the clerk to help me package the contents (Harley Davidson Shocks x2). The clerk was great and helped me package the box with bubble wrap etc. It was then weighed, closed and labelled and shipped. Upon handing my contents to the USPS employee I never touched the item again. I sent this priority with no insurance. Two days later the recipient received the box from his mail carrier and there was a gaping hole in it. No attempt had been made to seal this hole and the contents were gone.

My recipient denied the package obviously seeing there was nothing in the box. Now I'm sure you're saying to yourself, this is pretty cut and dry right? Box leaves USPS store after being packaged by a USPS employee, said package gets damaged and said contents go missing, so I should get reimbursed for the claim right? You would be wrong, both my claim and appeals were all denied. I submitted everything including photos from my recipient showing me there was nothing in the package, photos of the product, the exact weight of my product matching the weight of the box, receipts. testimony from store employee, he packaged the contents..

Like really. Package leaves USPS weighing 11lbs shows up at recipient weighing 0 but somehow I'm denied. I will never use USPS again. On top of all this, there is no explanation at all of what they are looking for as far as proof. Better yet, they even deny your claim and tell you to appeal but don't tell you why it got denied in the first place. Oh yeah, when I received the box back from the USPS, it was taped up nicely and said contents missing. Little bit too late for taping it up.

My package was left on the ground under a row of mailboxes, my mailbox being across street. Expensive diabetic shoes which should have been left at front door! LAZY!!! No wonder the term "government worker" is an oxymoron.

I sell on ebay. I shipped a 700.00 dress from Redding CA to Edison NJ. The clerk who works at the PO box station gave away without a scan, and without getting a signature a fully insured item which required scan and signature. They do not answer the phone, nor will they reply to complaint **. This is an open case and they have NOT called or tried to rectify. Since I cannot prove this customer has this item, I will be forced to open an insurance claim. Maybe that will get their attention, but I doubt it! That clerk who decided to hand over a highly insured box without doing his or her job correctly can reimburse this item. This Edison NJ office does not answer their phone, nor will they reply to this open and active complaint! Thanks a lot for failing at your job! When an item is insured for over 500.00, it required a scan and signature. Even cheap items get scanned, but this clerk didn't even bother to scan! HORRIBLE!!!

I'll keep this short: shipped several boxes of stuff, was told I had up to ~$300 insurance on each, one of the packages went missing and two others arrived with half their contents gone (they even verified this by comparing the weight at shipment with the weight at arrival). Then I was told I actually didn't get insurance. Why did they tell me I had insurance when I paid for it?? Lost several hundred dollars of stuff, with no recourse.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Had a package shipped with express delivery and specified date. Paid close to $40 for two day shipping from Los Angeles to Seattle. Package never made it on specified date, called USPS and was on hold for over 30 minutes and had to give up. We looked up tracking the next day and for some odd reason, the day after our "guaranteed" delivery date, it ended up in Anchorage, Alaska. Finally called again and got a hold of a representative, she was very nice and helpful I will say however I asked her to send me shipping information and tracking and I never got it.

Told her the issue and the importance of the package (prescription contacts) and she issued a "intercept", of which I paid another $22 or something like that. Well the package never got intercepted, it was delivered to the original location two days after the fact. Now I am 3 states away, with no contacts and $62 in the hole thanks to complete incompetence. I'll never USPS again, it's FedEx or UPS from now on. I can understand shipment delays due to weather but we're on the West Coast in April and I've been flying up and down the coast over the past 6 weeks with no issues at all. USPS, you've lost my business and everyone should be warned that their "guarantee" means nothing at all.

On 4/29/17 I went to the US Postoffice Journal Square location to apply for a passport for my son. When I got there I asked a lady was she online for the passport. She said yes. While waiting on line there were two people in front of me. No one from the postal service said anything about needing a number. While waiting on line I found out that the two people ahead of me as well as myself didn't have a number. Meanwhile the two people after me did. When it was time for the person in front of me to go to the counter a person behind me walked ahead of her and said she was number 8.

I asked to see a supervisor. She told me it didn't matter if we were on line first we needed a number. Instead of them starting off with the lady in front of me they took the lady behind me who was number 8... Gave me number 11 and the lady in front of me number 12. Words were exchanged because we felt it was unfair of them to call the person who were after us instead of just following the line order. I had gotten there at 10:10 am and the lady in front of me was there when I came in. After the words were exchanged the lady in front of me was so upset. Her daughter is autistic and was very agitated. By this time she was so upset she left. I pray that she complains also.

The employees at this post office are so unorganized and disrespectful. Instead of them trying to help the situation they made it worse. If they would have checked the cameras they would have seen who was on line and in what order. I'm so disgusted. The passport person took and 1 1/2 lunch. When she came back to the window it was 1:40. She went to lunch at 12. The supervisor needs to be reprimanded for her role in the horrible experience that we had to endure today. An employee named Julio... Should also be reprimanded. If not for the customers these people would not have a job. Something has to be done in order for the people who work at the post office to treat people with respect. I hope more people complain so that that station will get closed... And maybe when they have no jobs... It will be a wake up call for them to treat people with respect.

We ship regularly thousands of mailers per months. When shipping with USPS we take in consideration that we will lose orders shipped and we need to reship merchandises to our clients. This cost us about 10% of our annual revenue. IT IS UNACCEPTABLE but they have a monopoly and they are even terrible. In comparison, we also have a production center in Europe and we never have any losses even close to those numbers over there. Actually when we ship from Switzerland to Canada it gets there with regular mail in 5 days. When we ship from the USA to Canada with same regular mail. It will either get lost or take 15 days. It is shameful where is MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN going to really happen?

When you call there is never any real person to answer the phone. If you use the callback service it will hang up on you after it tells you that you requested to be called back. What's the point of having employees if you're just going to let the automated machine do all the work? Worst customer service ever.

I sent 6 boxes from Tokyo Japan by surface mail/sea mail to the United States starting in Jan. 2017. In April, I received 2 boxes. The first box was torn apart with all my personal belongings strewn inside the box. Before it left Japan, it was packed well and taped up. When I received my package, I was shocked and disappointed to see how the American postal and Customs and Border Protection officers had mishandled my items.

I don't mind them opening the boxes to check for illegal substances. I am 100% for the protection, but please be courteous enough to put my things back into another box and tape it up. In my previous experience with sending things from overseas (many years ago), they did a great job. They opened the box and put an orange tape which said it was checked by Customs and Border Protection Agency. How I wish for the good old days when things were done properly.

Then yesterday, April 26th, 2017, I received my 2nd box. To my unbelievable astonishment, the box came intact but 40 books out of 50 were gone, no DVDs/CDs and no Campbell's soup mug (my favourite one). Soooo sad! They had the gall to leave everything out but put back 10 of the 50 books and then tape it all up to make it look nice.

I am now very worried about the rest of my 4 remaining packages coming in the next few weeks. If anyone official from USPS or Customs and Border Protection Agency is reading this, please don't take my things out and not put them back. I don't mind you doing your job and protecting our borders, but give me my things.

On top of all of this insult, I called the USPS today and told the representative my story, she listened to me for a short time before yelling at me over the phone and told me that this was my fault for not packing properly and that it is my job to go online to fill out an application to track this. She gave me the phone number to the Customs and Border Protection Agency and told me to talk to them. When I called them, they told me that it was the responsibility of USPS to contact them. So we go round and round.

Customer Service in one of the most developed country is getting shoddy. Does anyone have advice as to what to do with my packages if they come in in bits and pieces? Should I take photographs and do a documentary on this? Or would this be too much trouble? One last word, my packages are uninsured so of course I cannot get any reimbursement for this.

I ordered a package first class mail from China, to be delivered at my business. I received an email from the company stating that it had been delivered to the mailbox on a Friday, but my company does not have a mailbox, we have a receptionist that receives the mail, and my business was not open on that Friday. I went to the Irving Post Office 75061 on the Monday and asked about the package, they took my number and said they would get back to me. I never received a call. I continued to go to the post office two times each week and received no resolution or word of my package, each time being told that they would call me. I also left messages on the "supervisor’s” voicemail, but it was never returned.

After 14 days, I made a visit and was told that they had delivered it to the wrong address which was miles away, and they had tried to retrieve the package but the employee who deals with the mail was out of the office. After 17 days, I made a visit and was only told that the package was un-retrievable, and they are sorry but they are not liable because the package was not insured. Insurance would be to protect my delivery against damage and theft, not to insure that the USPS does their job.

I sent a package using priority express shipping, paid $23.95 for this envelope containing a single piece of paper that needed to be delivered by the next day. 2 days later I checked the status and found the letter had been sent to the wrong post office and now they don't know when the letter will be delivered. They said I will get a refund but that's not the point. The letter HAD to get there in one day. Incompetence at its finest.

Victorville Main Post Office. Lived at same address over 20 yrs. Never had problem before. Was gone emergency hospital 1 and 1/2 week. Received "vacant" note with no mail in box. Waited over 2 hrs. in line. Lady admitted they should have sent notice indicating they would hold mail for 2 weeks if box got full (of mostly tons of duplicate junk mail of course). She admitted they just put "vacant" note and sent all my mail back to sender; including tax refund and 2-day Prime Amazon package. Come on, they knew it was not vacant. Who gets a tax refund (not sure if they stole it yet) and 2-day Prime guarantee with Prime stickers/shipping and doesn't live there?

Then lady started making excuses like: "I don't know, I'll have to talk to the carrier, why didn't you request a 10-day hold at post office form?" Um, what part of emergency did they not understand and it was less than 2 weeks and they failed to comply with proper procedure and decided to send all my mail back to sender? I'm sure the carrier will lie to save their job though. They could not even guarantee in writing/receipt that I would receive my mail in the future and that they would take care of their error. If this is not rectified asap, I will never trust the post office ever again and notify the Inspector General's office. Oh, but good news... my FedEX package came right on time.

On April 18th I mailed a package out "certified." It is April 24th and the package is incognito. There was no genuine concern from anyone that I encountered. How is this a federal operation?? I will never use this service again. I wish I had known that mailing certified was not a guarantee. DO NOT USE USPS!!! The government has tracking on everything else. I am assuming that this is the least important.

I purchased about 4-5 dozen USPS Priority Mail stamps with intentions to use the service. The USPS website states that these types of packages will be "Delivery in 1 to 3 business days". In my experience this representation is a complete fabrication. In my view, it's complete fraud. You should note that there is a footnote disclaimer on the bottom of their page that states "In most cases, the expected delivery date printed on your receipt or provided at checkout will reflect a delivery time of 1, 2, or 3 business days and is based on origin, destination, and drop-off time. The expected delivery date does not come with a money-back guarantee." The problem with USPS Priority mail is the Postal services use of the term "most". The world describes the word "most" as "in the majority of instances" while the USPS defines "most" as "occasionally", "sometimes" or "rarely".

I would strongly recommend that you do not use this service (USPS Priority) as the best way to describe it in my opinion is "disastrous". Perhaps 1 in 4 of the priority mailings I have sent arrive on time. About 1/2 of the priority mailings I have sent have some issues and MOST take more than 4-5 days to arrive at their destinations. Customer service can best be described as poor to non-existent. In my view the USPS Executive team should all be fired immediately as problems with the postal service continue and are rarely resolved. I see that over 6,000 people who have listed complaints here rate USPS 1 out of 5. Nothing to be proud about.

If you are going to charge more than ten times (regular mail vs "Priority" mail) then get it right and provide superior, not inferior service. My advice - pay bills online, use FedEx and UPS (RELIABLE companies) over USPS and pray that the inept clowns who are getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to run an inefficient company get fired. Sad that it's 2017 and our federal government can't get it right... once again. #USPSStinks

Not at all surprised that the current rating for this sub par organization is 1.2 stars. Deservedly so. It's unfortunate that the USPS is among the government-run services that are nearly unavoidable. Same goes for public transportation, which I do my best not to partake in. Were it not out of necessity for running a small business online, I would have nothing to do with the pathetic, unreliable US Postal Service. They just lost a package I had sent - the tracking just froze. No notification. No resolution. It just stopped. Do they hope that people won't notice that - "Oops! They lost the package? How does this happen?" I am in no way not understanding of human error, but this is more than just a mistake. The entire package was lost. The service they were paid to provide therefore was just rendered null and void. And they won't even take responsibility for it! It's like going to McDonald's and ordering a meal, paying for it, and then it never comes.

You cannot advertise a service for which you do not deliver. Packages lost should be 1 in 10,000 - a rare occurrence. My business is young, meaning the ratio of lost packages for me now is around 1 out of 35. Utterly pathetic! Again, they won't be held accountable for it, they lost track and hope you won't notice they screwed up. What other business is allowed to not deliver a product and still take your money, legally? This is not the only rotten experience I've had with them.

Packages paid explicitly for 2-day shipping often take longer, sometimes more than a week. Their excuse for this is that Priority Mail is not guaranteed. Then how about you charge a more appropriate rate for a service you won't even stand behind? Why even have it then? Post offices are frequently overcrowded and understaffed. The incompetency and dysfunction of the USPS is appalling. It escapes me how they aren't properly regulated and disciplined for such abominable performance.

Of all the items I have ordered through the mail in the past year, about 80% of the packages sent through the USPS have been lost, and another 10% arrived damaged. To me, this is unacceptable. I am so frustrated with their service that I am willing to pay extra to have it delivered by a different courier service. I recently ordered clothing through Etsy. The package was mailed in Malaysia and I was able to track it until the USPS received it. Now I cannot trace it and it's probably lost forever.

I sent my packet to USCIS, it always shows in transit and they don't even bother to update the status. I tried calling USPS office many times, no response. Customer service just tells the same thing that is shown in tracking. Luckily, my packet reached destination, those USCIS department sent me msg that they received it. But USPS still shows packet is in transit and not delivered. It's is so called U.S mail. Read about in Wiki: "The United States Postal Service (USPS), (also known as the Post Office, U.S. Mail, or Postal Service), is an independent agency of the United States federal government responsible for providing postal service in the United States. It is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution."

According to Joe at the post office he called me after I contacted them twice about my complaint about the mail carrier. According to Joe more less said that it was my fault. When a carrier lock my package up in the mail never pressed apartment buzzer so I can come down to receive it. He kind of stuck up for her over the phone which left a bad taste in my figure of speech. I am Prime member from Amazon and I paid money to receive my packages. I don't know why the post office favor the mail carrier. IT is shame. Did they don't care about the customer Plus senior citizen.

I guess there's a first time for everything and this is officially my first time with a very negative experience dealing with USPS. I live in southern NJ. I sent out an item on April 11th destined for Texas for an upcoming sports autograph show. My tracking info say it was in transit to the destination as of April 12th. Then the Disneyland fun begins. From April 12th to now April 18th, it's a complete guessing game as to what happened and what is going on because as of April 18th I guess my item arrived at Jersey City, NJ??? So from the 12th to the 18th, my item either didn't leave the state or for some unknown and yet to be explained. Reason, my package was either sent back or ended up in Jersey City.

I never would've have dreamed that sending out an item on April 11th that not only has my item not arrived at its destination but it almost 100% is not going to arrive when I absolutely needed it to be there which is this Friday April 21st. Awesome. Terrific. Thanks a lot. Thanks very much. And thanks for absolutely nothing and now I will not be able to have my item signed at the upcoming sports autograph show.

Perhaps the worst thing out of all of this is that there is virtually zero explanation and zero accountability from anyone involved. There's been no explanation given to me and no updates as to what/why the reasons are for my item not only being delayed but why it was sent all the way back to Jersey City, NJ. I must say that the USPS is a very smart organization because they have made it 1000000% impossible to actually talk to a human, live voice over the phone in any attempt to try and get an answer. I do not know what happened and at this point. I am totally frustrated and disgusted with getting no answers, no explanations as to why my item has been delayed, hasn't arrived yet and now will very likely not be arriving by the deadline. As far as I am concerned, this is 100% absolutely unacceptable.

I mailed a package from Washington to my son in Arkansas and I told the postal worker that I needed a tracking number and she told me that I had to mail it "Certified." which I have never had to do in all the years I have mailed my son packages. Well it took two days to get to Arkansas, which I understand, but it took three days to get to my son and when the mailman delivered the package they just left a notice in the mailbox stating "Attempted delivery but authorized recipient was not available." They never knocked on the door to try to deliver it because my son was home at 10:21 am when they attempted delivery. Now he has to take off work and go to the post office and try to get the package AFTER a WEEK!!!

It was not as described, and when researching I found that this was enough of a problem for many other people to also complain about it. Make sure it's actually in the mailbox when you say it is guys. That's just terrible business managing.

I sent a package and paid for 3-day service - $18.70 total. It's been 5 days and package has still not been delivered. I called the 1-800 USPS number, waited 25 minutes for representative to get on the line, only to hear that they don't GUARANTEE the 3 days, it's an EXPECTED delivery date. As they don't have GPS, they can't even tell you where the package currently is or when the expected delivery date will be. This is the LAST time I send a package with USPS. It's not worth the headache and will be opting for another delivery service for next time - UPS, FEDEX, DHL... Please think twice about sending a package with them.

Please don't use this service!! On the tracking service it says my package has been delivered however it is nowhere to be seen. I would like to say USPS has been helpful with my situation but they've been anything but. They are impossible to get in touch with, no reply to my email and no answer when I've tried to ring them. It's quite disheartening when you put trust in a postal service to deliver your goods and when there's an issue they don't even have to decency to reply to an email about it. So like I said before DO NOT use this service and hopefully you won't have the same fate as me.

For the last year I've had so many incidences of packages and envelopes never being received. On my end as well as if I send something out myself. I sent out my wedding invitations and they had two stamps which wasn't even necessary but I wanted to ensure weight, size, or shape couldn't be the issue. So 80 out of 100 received my invitations. That's 20 gone "missing". All from different zip codes. A lot from 19134 though. I was told give it a couple more days even though it has already been weeks since others have received theirs. Of course I spent a pretty penny on these invitations and they are just in the Lost World Of USPS. I don't know maybe a manual sorter just broke up or got a divorce and really had it out for wedding invitations which were obvious especially with my overpriced forever stamps that used. But then it comes down to when I send envelopes out from work with record copies.

So many places say they haven't received them and so I have to recopy 200+ pages and mail out another $7+ postage from our Pitney Bowes. On many other occasions I was expecting to receive a package and followed the tracking number...waiting by the door step, getting the mail from my Mail Carrier and, no package BUT the Tracking updates that the package was received at the exact time I received my mail. It absolute BS. There is so much missing money out there. Somebody should be held responsible. It is your job to ensure things make it to and from places.

$65 for an express international shipping, which must arrive the week after. It took about 20 days, so I claimed the company. First, they denied me any delay had happened at the office. Then, when I used online claim, they contacted my addressee, and she confirmed this delay, so they sent me an email saying something like "Accepted for claim, you will receive a package with info". I didn't receive this package, so I put a second claim, and finally I received it. This package contained no info for refunds, just a card with the local manager's email. I wrote him to ask how receive my refund, and he just answered me again that "according their track, they can't see any delay in that shipping", and "anyway, we don't refund international shippings". I sent it last November. It's April. 5 months being tricked by this people.

I live in a community we do not have strict security and anyone can come in. We have separate place for everyone's mailbox right when you come in. I order a lot of things in Amazon and this is the 5th time they leave a slip in my mailbox with my address written down but nothing else!!! I was always home. They never bother coming to my house and dropping my package. Sorry but I have to say this. They are a illiterate or just plain lazy!!! They do not know how to fill out a slip. They only put my address with a marker and I would have to bring that to the nearest post office and find out what it is. This is becoming a routine thing for them.

Today again while I was waiting for my package I received a email stating I wasn't home, they will try again the next business day and my package is with the post office an hour away from my house. This is where I draw a line and made a big complaint to the post office and USPS!!! This is unacceptable!!! How many times they leave my package and never bother to come bring it to me!!! I pay shipping!!! I shouldn't be receiving a slip when I am home! And then I would have to drive all the way to the post office, wait on the line and try to find out what it is!!! You guys need to do something about this. I am sick and tired of USPS lying that I'm never home which I was home!!! DO YOUR JOB CORRECTLY!!! You need to fire these people doing half ** job!!! I am so upset at these people!!! This is my Complaint case # ** after I spoke to someone in USPS and the post office!!! Hope someone contacts me!!! This is the worst company ever!!!

St Johns Post Office 11213 Brooklyn NY is ALWAYS a NIGHTMARE. This is the 2nd time this post office has lost my mail for an ENTIRE month after I put my mail on HOLD. The postal worker who processed the hold treated me badly calling me names and telling me to mind my business because I allowed an elderly woman on a cane to go in front of me. She was disrespectful and I think she spitefully did not process the hold. Her name is Ms ** and she should be fired. The Supervisors there are no better. They lie, waste your time name follow up. Namely one Ms Supervisor **.

I am so disgusted with how these people run this place. The most incompetent negligent set of people. The mail hold was not processed so the carrier took the mail every day to my box. They went to check and not one piece of mail was in my box. SECOND TIME!!! They are messing with people's lives. Had to renew my insurance, get a check re cut tax documents GONE January to February for my small company. All mail GONE. And it's a shrug shoulder "what do you want us to do."

The complaint service for USPS is antiquated, they have the same people who were in the wrong responding to you without resolving one thing. Take a look at the reviews on Yelp. They have ONE star and everyone says if they could give a lower mark they would. Lost Mail and packages every single day, hostile disrespectful workers, useless management. This is our lives they are playing with. My livelihood. The US gov doesn't seem to care and doesn't hold these people/offices accountable. They need to be dealt with. I want my mail. NOT ACCEPTABLE!! USPS is horrible. It allows this to go on. I have moved and where I live now 11215 these workers are breath of fresh air, kind, helpful, decent and professional. I still want my mail and those postal workers to be reprimanded and or fired.

They don't deliver. Lazy people. They don't knock on your door, they don't ring the bell. My status was DELIVERED ON MAILBOX. I went there, nothing in my mailbox, no package inside. This is ridiculous. I call them, visit them, talked with supervisor, everybody said "We'll call you" and nobody did.

Disgusted. This was a time-sensitive package and it is now two weeks. Package was to arrive by March 23. Nothing shows on tracking until March 31 and it is now April 4 and it is still showing 'in transit' - stuck in Harrisburg 17107. We've reported the problem and still no report on where this package is, when it will be delivered or if it EVER will be delivered. Mistakes happen... but... This is the second time for us. The last episode was when my DIL mailed out seven cards to multiple towns - only to have all seven cards come BACK to her a MONTH later.

USPS Company Profile