3.66/5
Based on 5,033 ratings submitted in the last year

7538 USPS Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

These days, UPS is so much more expensive than USPS, so we use the post office. Plus, they have locations everywhere and their tracking has become more efficient. It remains a wonder to me that for just 50 cents, you can mail a letter anywhere in the U.S. and it will be there in just 2-3 days. In order for me to UPS or FedEx a letter anywhere in the U.S., it will cost me between $16 - $68, depending upon whether I want it to go 2-day or overnight and that is ridiculous. Packages are even higher now. Whereas a decade ago, it made sense to use UPS or FedEx, that is simply no longer the case with USPS' capabilities.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

There is no comparison between the post office service and UPS. Whereas UPS throws (yes, THROWS) the packages onto our porch, the mail carriers ALWAYS rings our bell and places our packages neatly in the corner of our porch. I would especially like to mention that, early on Christmas Eve, as we were literally pulling out of the driveway for a 3-hour trip without our grandson's gifts (which was delayed by the seller), our postal carrier pulled up behind our car and placed the boxes in the trunk of our car! Normally, because of the layout of his route, our mail does not arrive until much later in the day, but because he noticed the shipper, he said he "had a feeling" it was supposed to have arrived sooner and he wanted to make sure it got to us "before Santa left." HE was our real Santa that day!

While I acknowledge that UPS drivers are hard-workers with a lot of pressure, none of the drivers on our route have ever been very friendly; however, every USPS mail carrier on this route in 10 years has been beyond pleasant and treated our packages with care. When my spouse was incapacitated, a couple carriers even hand-delivered our mail to the house, rather than leave it in our mailbox across the street. I have nothing but kind words about our postal workers - both the carriers and the workers at the local office.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

USPS is my #1 in shipping services due to the prices are lower than the competition. During the holidays they delivered all the packages from items I sold by Christmas Eve and buyers were so happy as they were not expecting this. USPS works hard and long hours especially my mailman who always can be relied on and is dedicated to his job. I am 85 yrs old and my mailbox is located far from my apartment so my mailman takes the extra time to pickup and deliver my packages to me. I like the convenience of scheduling the pickup online and to view my mail with informed delivery. I have never encountered lost items or damaged goods from USPS. I understand why the recent price changes in postage due to the increase in packages from Amazon and online purchases and I can accept this.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I was expecting a Priority Mail Package that was sent from PA to AL on 1/7/19. Estimated arrival was 1/10/19. When it did not arrive I signed up for their handy little tracking notifications. The fact that it was late did not upset me greatly, as no one gets it right ALL the time. But what concerned me was that there was no tracking scans after departure.

So, on the 12th I called Customer Service. I have to say, it was frustrating trying to get an actual person on the line (no choice offered). There was 1-1/2 hour wait for a return call! (They're overworked!) But when Deloris called me, she was wonderful! She was pleasant, professional, and very helpful. She promised to forward my concern to management so they could follow up. And they FOUND my package!!! It tracked to my local Post Office 4 days later & was delivered on the 16th! So, yes, even though it was late and a little stressful, they did what they needed to do to locate my package & get it to me! So, I'm very relieved & grateful! Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I was having an issue with my change of address because I changed it twice within a month time span. I called the USPS to make sure everything was ok and not held up. I got the most amazing, kind, ambitious woman on the phone! Her name was Tiana and she was so friendly! Come to find out nothing was wrong with my change of address. I was just jumping the ball, eager to get my mail. During my change of addresses, I received a postcard from a scammer leveraging the USPS to scam people!! This is one of my biggest pet peeves because my grandparents have been scammed multiple times. They present the postcard as if there is a package being held up.

Being that I was doing a change of address, I thought oh shoot!! I better hurry up and call these folks!! Well just in case I decided to Google the number first and sure enough, pops up on the FRAUD #s!! I mentioned this to Tiana and she took my complaint seriously! She even filed a form to let the company know about this and hopefully save another person from getting scammed!! I'm so appreciative for people like her who take initiative to prevent this from happening!! She was so lovely to work with and I really appreciate her!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

This has recently happened twice, though it's happened a lot in the past. Shipping and receiving. Packages were shipped 3-day priority. And, of course, they charged me for that service. The last package took a week. The current package has been delayed and will definitely take four or more days to arrive. From what I've read, this service is not guaranteed to arrive within the specified time frame even though you paid extra for it. So...no timely shipping, no refund for a service you didn't receive. Absolutely ridiculous. I could understand weather or other anomalies that would prevent timely service, but what about when the USPS simply drops the ball? I always dread shipping via USPS. Heck, UPS and FedEx and their SurePost/SmartPost shenanigans aren't any better. Seems like a totally unfair way of doing business to me.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

We picked our mail from mailboxes located on the street some 1/2 mile from our house. These are cluster of mailboxes with keys. I lived 3 years in Taos NM. In this 3 year period I ordered 2 sets of checks from my banks (one bank in Taos and one in another state.), on both of these two occasions I had to reorder the checks. The out of State checks came via a different carrier with tracking number, For the bank in Taos they called me when the checks arrived, and I picked them at the bank.

Another occasion they left a oversize package in a small lockbox. I realized I can not take the box out. So, I decided to lock the lockbox and have PO take it out for me. But you can not lock the lockboxes once the customer opens them. My dilemma was that, I could not leave the package in the lockbox with lockbox open, and at the same time I could not take the package out without destroying the box and taking a chance of damaging the content. I took the box out piece by piece.

The following day I went to the post office with pieces of box. A woman was upfront, I asked to see the manager, she said she was the manager. I explained to her what had happened (when post office delivered mails/packages they open the front of the cabinet to have access to all mailboxes. When the front is open it gives a little more room especially for packages. That is why they were able to put or cram the box in the first place).

Another occasion, I ordered an electronic gadget from Amazon. On Friday I checked my mail, and it said my package had been delivered and the key to the lockbox is in my regular mailbox. It was late, and I did not feel going out that evening. Next day Saturday I went to our mailbox, and I opened it, expecting to see a key to the lockbox. There was no key. I made a print of the delivery message, and took it to the post office. They made a report of it, and told me to give it another day. Nothing happened on that Monday or the following day. I made another print of the delivery message and went back to post office a second time on Wednesday. I noticed these people were not really concerned. I came home and called Amazon, and told them the whole story. Amazon gave me credit for the purchase.

Comes Friday, exactly a week from first I was notified that my package has arrived, I go check my mail, and voila, there is a key for the lockbox in my mailbox. I opened the lockbox, and there it is my package. I went home and called Amazon that my package has arrived and charge my CC. Question? Where was my package this whole 7 days. On about a dozen occasion I did not receive my regular mail which consisted of various kinds of bills. And on few occasions I was charged late fees and interest, simply put my mail did not get delivered. I made a habit of keeping track of my mail and if I did not receive a piece of mail I called the proper office to see if my bill has been sent and when.

This is my favorite. When we moved to Taos, we did not close all of our bank accounts. We closed one account after few years. No problem there. But the other account, which held a substantial amount, we closed it in about the April of 2018. I emailed the bank and one of my instructions was that send check via registered mail. I waited two weeks for the check. Nothing came of it.

I called the bank and asked them what happened to my check? Haven't they closed my account? They said they sent the check over a week ago, give it time. I waited another week. I called again. This time I asked, "Didn't you sent the check via registered mail.?" They said no. I said, "I specifically asked in my email to send check via registered mail." They started mumbling stuff. I said, "I tell you what, I will send that email again and see it again." Well, They cancelled the check, and a few days later I received my check via FedEx. Taos is number one in crime in NM. All the thieves work in Taos PO. Taos is a okay place to visit once. Maybe? Colorado is much better.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

They have a key to our building and they drive by no pink slip, We told them we wait in our mail box area or outside. We complained to supervisor too. She told Amazon they don't work on Sundays and they do. It also makes more work for Monday drivers. This just started couple weeks ago after postmaster retired, Ty.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I and my wife mailed Menards rebates about Aug 1 to Menards Rebates in Wisconsin. We live in Joliet, IL. We received a note from the USPS stating they had destroyed the letter. We then were informed by Menards, the deadline was Aug 23, 2019, to go ahead and resend what we had. We sent this by certified mail and were told by the mail clerk it should only take 2-3 days. We mailed this on Aug 9. Been checking the tracking # and this letter is still "in transit" after 11 days. Today is Aug 20. Tried to contact USPS to find what the problem is. No answer but a recording saying it would be 2-3 days at least for a follow up upon receiving any complaint. Too late. This has cost us $122.54. These incompetent clowns are totally worthless. So, never, never deal with the USPS, a corrupt organization of the First Magnitude.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I purchased a package and it was being shipped across the country with USPS service. The expected delivery time was Monday, so I was ready for it to come. It was arriving to a family member's home because my address is kind of not decided right now. I waited at the family member's home all day and it didn't come because it was "arriving late" even though the expected date was still Monday before 8PM. I have a place to be on Tuesday (the next day) so I have to leave without my package. I'm not sure I'll be able to make it back on Tuesday to pick it up and it is very expensive. There isn't holidays currently, nothing that would make them busy, so why is it so late??? UPS and FedEx have both delivered on the expected days even with complications. Unless the truck got in a wreck, there should be no reason it is late. Unacceptable.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs