1.42/5

6972 USPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I have had plenty of issues is USPS before but my most recent: I sent a package from NYC to Atlanta two weeks in advance of an event I needed it for. Apparently, USPS went to deliver the package and though it had a company name on it, they decided that since it did not have a suite number it could not be delivered. INSTEAD of doing the logical thing such as 1. looking for the company name at the building or 2. contacting the sender to ask, they decided to ship it all the way back to NYC. Besides this, their tracking on their site continued as "in transit, moving to next facility" with NO indication that it was being sent back to the sender. Now I cannot get it there on time and the whole thing was a waste. They don't try to complete the shipment because they are a scam and want the sender to have to re-ship everything and probably at a higher cost. WHAT A SCAM. FEDEX IS SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

In Florida a package of Basil seeds used for gardening has arrived in Naples FL. I am very displeased that package says that it was "Delivered, Individual Picked Up at Postal Facility". I live in North Florida. Now, why would I drive all the way to down to South Florida to pick up a tiny little package! I reviewed my digital receipt making sure that my addresses is correct and lo and behold it is the correct address! NAPLES IS NOT!!!

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Ever tried calling USPS for customer service? Average "wait time is greater than 1 hour." I've listened to the operator and the on hold tunes for about 24 hours over this past couple months. When I win America's Got Talent for best violin musician alive, I don't want to hear everyone coming out the woodwork saying how tight you and USPS are. You weren't on hold while writing an essay. You weren't on hold while fitting a Tuxedo for your wedding. You weren't on hold when you bought your first house. You weren't on hold while your lady was getting an ultrasound.

Thank you USPS for using up every minute of my phone plan when I needed to hear your voice. Now, I am expecting in the next couple months. We can't express our excitement. Just like I've been expecting things from you going on a couple months now. Yet, you have not delivered yet. GIVE ME MY MAIL. #USPS #Bond #YouWerentOnHold #StillExpectin. Professional Wrestler BGB VS. USPS. Mail on a pole match. Will BGB ever receive his mail? Or will USPS knock his LIGHTS out, Literally. Small prints: The beginning of this ad is based on REAL LIFE EVENTS. Please NOTE, USPS has not answered my challenge because well frankly they never answer the phones. Viewer discretion is advised.

After attempting to change my address for a month, I was informed it couldn’t be fulfilled. This is due to the fact that my address, that I only lived at for about 2 months (moved out of city) was considered a business address. That’s like stating you moved from a apartment complex but you can’t change your address due to the complex being a “business”. How irritating. Checks, bills, Important information is out in the world somewhere with my name on it. I know one place it’s not, IN MY MAILBOX.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I am so lucky with the mailmen because of both companies are amazing. But the USPS mailman - sorry, I don't know his name (Chinese gentleman). He did not just drop to the floor the boxes, every time he knocks on the door, he just says "Hi" loudly, even he knows we are at home or don't. So... I just want to say a big thanks to him, because he deserves, and he has to know our appreciation.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I sent a package on Wednesday, Aug. 8 and after four weeks, my recipient had not received their gift. My local USPS office, who was unable to locate my transaction in their system, despite me having shown them the charge from my bank. The employee assisting me was condescending as we attempted to locate my shipment details.

After unsuccessfully reaching my local post office via phone, as it was 100 percent automated, I had to go back into the office the following week and was told by a supervisor that my package was delivered to the Houston post office on Friday, Aug. 10. I called that post office and had very poor customer service from the employee and was told that my package was "damaged" and was resent to the sender. At nearly 5 weeks, I still did not have my package and I called Consumer Affairs, filed a missing package online; two days after filing the claim, my package was delivered to the recipient, undamaged as I had originally been told was the holdup. Aside from this matter, I have sent other packages that were broken in the mail and/or not received. Due to the many mishaps and poor customer service, I will use other carriers (FedEx or UPS) for my mailing needs moving forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I have had several packages that went missing throughout the years while with USPS. There are serious problems of theft of packages by USPS employees. My most recent experience sending a Priority Mail small flat rate package from California to Georgia has been a nightmare. The package was sent on as Sept 5, 2018. It went from the Van Nuys post office to the regional distribution post office in Santa Clarita, CA. It stayed there until September 9, 2018, when is said it was on the way to the next location. That's it, no other updates or information has been given.

I waited on hold for an hour to speak with a USPS representative and of course they were no help. This was a package that contained a eBay purchase. Now I have a buyer that is not happy and I am furious. I am going to have no choice but to somehow make good to my buyer. No good thieving USPS. BTW, they one time stole an emerald a gold bracelet I sent to my mom for mother's day and delivered her an empty box. I should learn how to keep carrier pigeons because at least they won't steal and will probably be more reliable.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My package had an issue. Apparently the person sending me the package wrote the wrong zip code on the package and after calling USPS several times (which takes hours of waiting) they lied to me about the package being ready for pickup, then when I go to the place to pick it up, the guy says I have no package there. I call again. It takes them 24 hours to figure out where my package is, and by then it's being sent back to China, 7 days before the time I was told they would send it back to sender. The post office is a genuine disgrace and I hope they all lose their jobs.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I am becoming more suspicious after having a few missing in the mail over several years that there is no doubt a theft problem within the walls of the USPS, distribution centers especially. A ring went missing in Jacksonville Florida DC in May and still shows missing on tracking info. Got nothing but the runaround from that place. Read the online reviews on Facebook sites for USPS distribution centers. Many people suspect their mail has been stolen. If your mail gets "lost" you have to file an online claim. You have to buy at least a tracking number to see where your item stops moving. If you don't what a great platform for somebody to steal your item or package, you won't ever know what the heck happened to it.

USPS makes a killing on your insurance money, postage and tracking numbers and we are the ones that get railroaded and lose out! Have fun making a claim for insurance too, it might just be denied and you've wasted a lot of your time! Why should they really care if your valuables get "lost" - important documents/cert envelopes, shoes, cell phones, electronics, baby clothes, rare collectibles, valuable artwork, jewelry items, tax refunds, birthday money, food items, and on and on! Do not call the facilities, make an online complaint or you may be complaining to those who stole your valuable items! Have noticed one red flag when you do call a facility if you get through at all and/or don't get hung up on, they may tell you something cockamamie like "your package/certified mail envelope might have been damaged by our machines and was sent to Atlanta for investigation." YEAH RIGHT.

Packages have to be hand canceled! What was in the certified mail envelope?! Probably do this to shirk suspicion. And what exactly is going on in Atlanta by the way. What are they doing with all of these packages where apparently no one can read the sender or the addressee because their abominable machine decimated their packages/envelopes!? Very suspicious. Goes against what they are all about, delivering mail in a timely and undamaged manner to the customer! Any package sent to "Atlanta for investigation" should be documented and photographed outside and inside and name the person who sent it! Can mail really be that shredded up beyond recognition?! NO! Wow they must have a cash cow sitting in that place of unclaimed mail and lost packages! Sending few to no packages anymore, too stressful!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

What happened to the USPS in the past year? They closed a bunch of distribution centers that's what and parcel delivery has gone all the hell. I've had two packages show tracking to a distribution center, sit there a week with nothing happening, then show shipped to next facility and poof, they have disappeared. Are they dumping in a river or an abandoned quarry to keep up with quotas. Surely no one can be stealing this much. Who steals a pair of Swedish clogs, can't be any money in that. Really sad what's happened to a once fine service.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I've never experienced such horrible service, from sea to shining freaking sea. The USPS is a poster candidate for what happens when run by the government. I'll never use it to send a package again. FedEx or UPS will receive ALL packages from now on. My daughter's birthday package never arrived, said it was delivered, and when I called to inquire, I've been on hold for almost an hour. Clunkiest, most frustrating, least intuitive voice prompts/phone system ever. Wow. Just wow. They deserve to go under.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I researched online as much information as possible about my undeliverable package. I was able to request a redeliver with my address. Then it showed it was sent back. Then it said it was on its way to destination, BUT it did not say whether the destination was my home or the sender. THUS the only way to find out was to call. USPS said the wait was going to be from 45 minutes to 1 hour something. IT WAS 2 HOURS and 37 MINUTES before I could speak to someone to find out it was going back to sender. I asked why they weren't able to deliver and she suggested I call my local post office for that info. THAT is a joke because my local post office DOES NOT ANSWER THE PHONE!!! Otherwise I could have had the package problem fixed days before it was sent back!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I went to the post office today to ship a package. I decided to reuse a Priority Mail Medium Size Box. It had clearly been used before (even had an old shipping label on it). I purchased a Priority Mail label online and slapped it on the box, only to be told by the USPS that I cannot reuse the box unless I specifically purchase a Medium Size Flat Rate Box label, which cost 4 dollars extra. Boxes, apparently, cannot be reused - which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I asked if I could purchase a label and the representative behind the counter said I should go back online to the site I purchased the label from and redo it there. I'm unsure why he wouldn't just sell me the label I needed and allow me to go home to cancel the label online, but he wouldn't. It's sad how bureaucratic and irrelevant the USPS has become. I took the box to FedEx, bought a label there, stuck it on the box and left. Apparently they have no problem using whatever box I bring in. What a waste of time.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Was sending by USPS priority mail express international to Europe an envelope with documents, paid $65. Supposed to be delivered in 3-5 days. Dropped at USPS on Apr 23, by tracking it has showed up at NY on Sept 2 11.30am. Talked to USPS, why it takes so long, asked for refund due it's almost 7 days passed, was told no refund due it was holding by customs. On my question what about if I used Global Express Guaranteed 1-3 days ($125+) and if it has failed to delivery in 3 days due custom - got same reply if it's hold by customs there is no refund. Certainly, next for international mailing will be using FedEx or DHL, looks like they more care about customers.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I sent a monitor by USPS to Southern California to have a minor repair. I wrapped it in two layers of bubble wrap and Styrofoam and it was boxed by a professional boxing co. with "Fragile" marked all over the box. It arrived destroyed. The company I sent it to notified me and I started a claim that day. USPS is impossible to deal with. There is no one to speak with. They emailed me that they settled the claim for a third of what the monitor was worth. They sent me a letter by snail mail that said the claim was denied. Mind you, I had insured the box. The website they sent me to was not online and there is no contact info on any of my correspondence. I will never use USPS again. I'm out $2800.00 which was the cost of the monitor and what it will cost me to replace.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I was being sent a valuable package which I had insured and requires a signature. As such, I had to be present at my house to receive delivery. Yesterday, Sat. Sept 1st, I took off from work in order to be at my house at the time when USPS said the package would arrive. It was "out for delivery" the entire day but was not delivered. Checking online, USPS said it would be delivered today, Sun Sept 2. So again, I take off from work to be at home awaiting delivery. I then receive a text today saying my package could not be delivered due to "animal interference."

First, while I do have two dogs, they are only ever outside in a fenced-in area of the yard with the fence being a highly visible picket fence. Second, since I was expecting a delivery I had them inside the house with me since 8 am. Thirdly, no postal worker or truck even came into our driveway today. So either the driver was attempting to deliver an insured signature confirmation package to the wrong address or they are straight-up lying about "animal interference." So now I'm forced to take a THIRD day off from work so I can sit home and wait for a delivery that was suppose to take place yesterday. This is simply unacceptable, unprofessional, and overall infuriating. DO NOT USE USPS FOR ANYTHING!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Upgraded a package to priority 3 day from standard; spent twenty extra bucks, package still has not arrived after six days. Customer service rep was militant in their style and quite enthused to inform me there was nothing they could do and they offer no recourse. Absolutely sickening. Never again! I just love throwing away twenty dollars.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

My mother-in-law sent us my husband's birth certificate from Byrdstown, TN to Nashville, TN via USPS. The mail was on hold for who knows what reason and there was not even an attempted delivery. It took us more than a month to get our hands on the mail and my husband had to make 2 trips to the local USPS store to retrieve it! The first time he went in, they said they had to locate it and so he had to go back the second time. Byrdstown is 2 h away from Nashville. Driving down there would have been a less painful experience. Despite this, I gave them the benefit of doubt. It's a big country and mistakes happen sometimes! However, after my second dreadful experience, I am swearing USPS off for good. Never again.

I recently shipped some important documents to CA. Two days later, I receive a notification stating that the address is undeliverable/illegible/incomplete. I double, triple checked with the recipient and he assured me that the address given to me was correct AND the USPS online portal did detect it to be a legitimate address! So when the recipient visited the local post office to look into the matter, they looked up the details on their the intranet tracking system and confirmed that they had the correct address and were not sure why it was not delivered. So they put a note next to my case stating that they will contact the mailman and figure out what was wrong.

Of course this never happened and the recipient never got a phone call back like he was told he would once the mailman was contacted and the matter was resolved. Next, I contacted the local post office and filed a report. The person on the phone also agreed that the mail had the correct address and wasn't sure why it was not delivered. He also said that the package was not scanned correctly and so he had to look up the details again verifying the address. So my guess is that someone got lazy and sloppy and did not want to make the effort to deliver it. BTW, at this point, the mail has been sitting in a mystery land for the about 10 days!

I was finally told that since the address was undeliverable/illegible/incomplete, the mail was returned back to me. I am yet to receive it. So basically what was supposed to take 3-5 business days, has taken 12 days so far and who knows how long it will be before it gets here after which I have to resend the mail! What a horrendous service! I would rather pay a little more and use UPS or FedEx and save myself this stress. And honestly, I wasn't trying to save money. USPS was a convenient option to send mail from work and I had more faith in the government backed service. Clearly, a giant coconut had fallen on my head when I had that thought.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I’m so confused. I live in a four plex 2 upstairs apartments & 2 downstairs. I’m downstairs on the left side where the two mailbox’s for my sides apartments are. I’m new here, I ordered my first package at this address (entered address perfect). It’s supposed to be here today so I go on the tracking page & it said there was an issue with my address so it wasn’t delivered, like I said I put my address in fine so I know it’s not that, I live in apartment #3 so I went and wrote ‘packages go to side porch please’ on my mailbox & right above my side porch is #3. So I call to see what’s up, I’ve been on hold for an hour & 5 minutes! I mean seriously? Get it together.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I moved across town 4 years ago and I am amazed to see many different postal workers driving their trucks into everybody's driveway to deliver the mail. I'm not sure if this is even allowed by the USPS. On the days that they park the truck and deliver the mail on foot they walk across everyone's front lawn. The other day a USPS delivery guy decided to look into the front picture window and have a look - see inside before using the front porch to cut to the next door neighbor's house. Another time I saw a guy in plain clothes deliver the mail via everyone's driveway wearing headphones and talking on his phone. Another thing they do is they don't track packages right. I've received many packages that only show a label being printed and there is no status change for days until it's on your doorstep, that's if they even bother to show it delivered. Too lazy to even use a handheld scanner.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

The postmaster and her manager have refused to deliver mail to my approved curbside mailbox. The standard operating procedure for this post office is to never answer their phone. You will get the following when you call. "Sorry this post office is closed, please leave message," but no voice mailbox and of course a busy signal, phone is turned off. I have tried to get this resolved with the following people from the VP of Mail delivery down the ranks. I have been lied to and caught

in a vicious phone loop with management with no help at all. All I would like is to have my mail delivered. MAYBE NOW IS THE TIME TO PRIVATIZE THE UNITED STATES POSTAL OFFICE. Get rid of people not wanting to do their job...

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I've made several orders of a case of soda. The first time they said attempted delivery. I contacted the office and requested they leave my Amazon package at the door. Nothing the next day. On the third day they left an attempted delivery card. I took the card into the local branch and they said the package was heavy. The carrier didn't want to deliver, this is 4 days after it was supposed to have been delivered.

I made a second order a month later and stayed home all day for delivery. No mail at all on delivery day plus they sent email at night from Amazon. Sorry we attempted to deliver. NO I WAS THERE ALL DAY. I went to contact them but hold time was 2 hours. I went in and watched the clerk argue with a customer about delivery for 25 minutes before I gave up and called Amazon.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Please train your carriers (Sparks, Nevada), to learn how to pay attention and read the correct address on the box, or parcel... to deliver to the right person. It is beginning to be a 'hit and miss' situation... whether a package or letter will arrive... or, has been delivered to someone else... 'wherever!' Your job is to get the mail out to the public! NOT the wrong person, or address!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

They simply say the package was delivered at the address but they can't prove the where we live. It's simply impossible somebody else take or stolen. Simple they don't deliver in the correct address and the people don't offer to you a solution. Simple they say we deliver and that it don't provide more help.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Doesn't even deserve a star. I missed an international mail and they left a notice to say they attempt for delivery and it was final. Shouldn't there be first attempt before they sent a final notice? And when I requested for redelivered, I never receive the letter and when I called they don't acknowledge the redelivery confirmation number, and made me call 1 office after another to check where my mail is. They started to ask for tracking number which I do not have access to (tracking number changed once it arrives at US from oversea country). They can't do anything with information I have and there you go, I lost my mail.

This is not my first encounter of lost mail with USPS. Your mailing system sucks and need serious improvement.
(1) You should put in an address of where the mail will be kept at in case we want to pick it up (this will save a lot of hassle).
(2) You should send a picture of the mail with the tracking number so that we could use that information to retrieve our mail.
(3) When you provide option to redeliver a mail, you do it!!

(4) Benchmark yourself against other mailing service providers and you will see how bad you are.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

They suck!!! Don't deliver mail correctly! Sometimes deliver packages then send you an email saying that they attempted delivery but couldn't deliver it. The people that run York Haven post office are IDIOTS!!! Have dealt with them over the phone and the woman in charge is nasty every single time! They try to keep the jobs all in the family so that they can cover each other's ** when they want to. They also take letters and packages home with them instead of delivering them when they should, which is against the law!! Even the postmaster general won't do anything about these morons. Pathetic people!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I ordered a backpack online about a month ago and it finally delivered the other day. I looked everywhere for it but it was nowhere to be found so I contact the seller to see if it really did deliver and they said yes. I know it isn't the seller's fault and they give me instructions on contacting USPS. SO here I am, without my supposed delivered item.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

You'd think for an organization started in 1775 it would be an well-oiled machine by now. I mailed a care package to our daughter working at a summer camp on Virginia's Eastern Shore at lunchtime on Monday, Aug. 13 in Chesapeake, Va., paying for priority mail with delivery estimated for the next day. The receipt confirms this. The camp is 75 minutes away. As of Thursday, Aug. 16 she has not received the package, so I tracked the package via USPS website, text and phone tracking services. As of 3:48 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 15., her package was in Sacramento, California. Seriously? California distribution facility across the country when it literally had to go about 75 miles down the road?

At this rate she will NOT get the package by the time she comes home from camp this weekend. She will not be able to share all the treats I got her with her fellow counselors. BIG FAIL, USPS! This is the third time in a row I have used USPS Priority Mail to send care packages to my kids at college or camp, and it's the third time in a row that the package has been lost, misdirected or delayed for weeks. I have lost all sympathy for the postal service. The USPS will no longer be my go-to shipping method. From packages to cards to invitations I have sent, I am repeatedly disappointed. Another example: I have sent birthday cards for work to the Outer Banks, just 90 minutes away - one took two months to get there, and one never arrived. And I have many, many more examples. Get it together, USPS; your country depends on you.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

This is the second time in a month that USPS does not deliver a package. What’s the point of offering the service?! The first time they just didn’t show up and now they said they didn’t have access. I live in a community with NO GATE. It’s completely open to come in and out and nothing has been blocking both entrances because I’ve had family coming in and out. We received our regular mail. That’s just a lie and someone being lazy, pretending to do their job. Going forward I will never buy from a consumer using USPS to ship. Because of this awful service is why they are getting left behind and UPS and FedEx is taking over.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

Watched my package sit 3 days at the post office and it was never delivered. I couldn't even go pick it up myself because I work long hrs. I really despise them and their service. I won't shop places that use USPS from now on. Good for nothing USPS.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

If I could give them 1/2 star I would. They lose mail or deliver it to the wrong address. Where I live they don't look at the letters on the mailboxes. They just shove it anywhere. Best to use UPS or FEDEX.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs