1.12/5
  • 1 star
Based on 340 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

USPS

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 20, 2018

6685 USPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I had been waiting for an expected package for some time and for 2 days they delayed it last minute, all while not responding to my multiple phone calls to USPS customers service! I had intended to pick the packages up myself but I couldn't speak to anyone! I went to the USPS office and complained about this and that same day I got home and my packages were outside my door, wet and not sealed correctly! Not to mention my personal mail laying out on top of the package also wet! My w2 forms and important doctors letter were wet and damaged! I'm am extremely unhappy and would like to know how to handle this!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I do most of my shopping online, and until the last year I haven't had any issues. This last problem is the last straw. I ordered an item priority express on the 16th and have yet to see it - delivery was supposed to be guaranteed for yesterday. Label was created, item received and accepted at Regional Origin Facility - all on the 16th. Nothing has moved since. I know this happens; but, it seems to happen at least on a month now. Why pay 10 to 20 extra dollars for priority and express service - when you can get the same service with standard mail? I am done with USPS shipping - if the site offers UPS, or FedEx - then I will pay the extra. They can't do any worse - at least I hope not.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I recently took a trip to Florida to see my daughter in Naples Fl, and I have never experience this problem in the past. I don't use airline luggage because of the cost and I always mail my clothing to where I am going, but I always take 3 change of clothes with me just in case it takes a day or two extra to get to me. I mailed it out Jan 9th and it was supposed to get there by the 12th, and I was flying in on the 11th. Well it was it wasn't there, and I was leaving her home to go to my son's home on the 13th and help him pack and move to Michigan. So on the 14th I got online to redirect my package to my son's house which cost me another $25 so now we are up to $58. I have a tracking number and have tracked it. It sit in Detroit Mi for 8 days and it says because of weather, but when I checked the weather from Jan 9th through the 12th from Detroit to Naples Fl there was no bad weather.

I feel the postal service is getting lazy at what they do. They tell on the receipt and circle it that it will be there on this day and it not and then they overcharge you for that amount than the regular amount. I have been calling and getting a busy signal at a lot of post office and yesterday I got through to one, this lady was rude and had no time for me from the time she picked up the phone. She told me that it could take up to 14 days, I said, "WHAT? I paid for Priority Mail." She said that 1 to 3 days is not guaranteed, I told, "Well I could of paid the cheaper one with 5-7 days.

So anyways here I am in St. Petersburg Fl on Jan 19th without my package still and I got online to check it. Today it finally made it to Naples Fl and going to redirect to here in my son's in St. Petersburg and no one is going to be here because we are moving them to Michigan. I am so mad right now at this all and at their website at how they got it setup to help you. They never get back to you. So I guess I'll just pay out more money to have it redirected back to Michigan.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I ordered a bunch of stuff off of Amazon because I got gift cards. My first package was stolen because it was left at my front door. The next day I didn't receive a large package I was expecting. I left my front door open so that I could watch from my glass door. I never left the living room all day and around 8 pm, I stood at my front door as I called Amazon to complain, which is documented! At 8:20, I open the door to let my husband in. At 9:00, I locked my door and went to bed. The next morning when I check my package status, it said delivery attempted at 8:19, which is a lie. I call Amazon to complain, they can't do anything because the post office is closed.

The next day I get notice that my package will be delivered on Jan 19th. My package was suppose to arrive on 1/14. What happened on 15 or 16th? If it was at the post office, why wasn't it delivered the next day available. I called Amazon and they can do nothing for me until the package is delivered. This is something that has really ticked me off. I pay my taxes which funds USPS and on top of that I pay for shipping and handling and this is unacceptable.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

I ordered a package off of a website on November 27th. The tracking number said that it had been delivered but I didn't get anything. The website I ordered from is a trusted site, apparently the shipping carrier was not. I still have yet to receive my package, and when I email them about it they say that they could not find the package, they are sorry.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Pre-ordered item Aug 31 and tracking said the mailman delivered on Dec 16. I emailed the company since it is now middle of Jan 2018. Went to Manassas office where they stated the parcel was put at my door on Dec 16. I have lived here for 10 years and never had a package missing. During this time we have a new mailman. I asked if they tried to put the package in-between my 2 front doors. They explained it is against company policy in case the door does not shut all the way and the wind slams and breaks the door. I asked if I could file a claim against their business insurance. They said I can't or else everyone would claim they never received their item. Thought this is why companies have liability insurance?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Now the first time I had a problem with USPS would have been the early few weeks of December. I ordered a package with 2 day shipping but it did not arrive in 2 days. The thing is there was a blizzard so I understand how it may have taken more time to deliver but my problem with USPS is really their website. I got no updates on when it would be coming after it was late so it was really a surprise and if you have stuff to do or a life it just turns into a big waiting game which could inconvenience anybody.

Recently, I ordered a package, and let me tell you the shipping was very expensive just for standard shipping, when the place it's getting shipped from is an hour away. Right now, only God knows when I will receive my package because their dumb ass tracking website has not been updated in 3 days. Once again now I have to stay home and wait for my stuff so it doesn't get stolen which gets rid of any chance of me going out. I will include a picture of how their website does not update anything. Today is January 13, 2017 and it hasn't been updated since January 10th so I will show how in the blue the customer is left with their horrible tracking. One more thing I have to say is calling them is as helpful as their website which essentially is pointless.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

If there was a way to give a zero or negative stars review, I would do it. USPS is the most terrible and unreliable delivery service it has ever been my misfortune to use. I cannot recall the last time I received a package on the scheduled delivery date they provide. Usually it is anywhere from one to five (yes FIVE) days later. And their tracking is a joke. It rarely updates and provides no actual information. If I ever have to option to use an alternative shipping method, even if it is more costly (ie: standard is offered through USPS, but expedited is offered through FedEx) I will always choose the alternative. I will gladly pay an extra $5 or $10 to know I will receive things on time, and will be able to utilize a reliable tracking system.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

We have a business and need our mail picked up daily. The Bostonia office knows this but they keep sending morons to deliver and pick up the mail. The mail to be picked up is on a cart ready to go and la de da the idiots keep just walking on by it like it is not even there. Time to find a new way to send. The USPS is getting to be a big joke.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I mailed a package of books to my son at college on January 5th at 9:30 am - the expected delivery date was January 8th by 8:00 pm. Today, six days later, the package is apparently in a mail center less than 40 miles from my home with no expected delivery date. I called the USPS customer service and after more than 1 hour on hold was told to call back in two days. No explanation was offered for where the package has been for the past 6 days and no commitment as to when it will be delivered. The rep implied it was due to the weather. I am back on hold now hoping for a better answer - I imagine the reason the customer service wait is so long is because the service is poor across the entire country. US mail delivery is no longer the way to go...

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have an online business where the main company ships packages out to me and some directly to my customers. I placed one order on 12/30/17, and it shipped out on 1/2/18 (delay due to holiday). The Last update on USPS website was Jan 7, and it just says "in transit". This is package 1 of 6 that is currently "in transit" to Texas. Here's the kicker, all my packages going to other states have arrived just fine. Texas-bound packages? Not at all. WORST PART: I actually got a person on the phone with USPS, twice. Waited a full hour to talk to someone who just read back to me what was on the website. Seriously?

Then, person said they would open a case, ok cool. But he sent the cases to the destination postal offices instead of the Utah Distribution Center where all 6 of my packages have been for DAYS! And there's nothing I can do because the mailing company uses First Class mail, uninsured. How are people supposed to trust a postal service that has NO repercussions for bad service and lost packages?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

My local carrier keeps delivering my mail to the wrong residence. After contacting the central service line I was told to go in person to my local carrier and had to wait in line for 2 hours. Once I finally was able to speak with someone she was of little to no help and basically told me that I need to wait at my home to see if I can sort it out with the actual person who delivers my mail. So now I’m having to take a day off work to sit by my mailbox in the hopes of some sort of resolution. I cannot overstate how dissatisfied I am with the current state of the USPS.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have dealt with The NEWPORT MAINE Post office & have had nothing but problems. It took two weeks to ship Packages to SC & Florida. Now I have a birthday card that was mailed on 12/29/2017. It was Going to Cape CORAL Florida so now this is 1/10/2018 & has not been received yet. And sent my granddaughter a small flat rate envelope. It was mailed on 12/29/2017. It was delivered two days ago. I stated it was fragile & it needed to be signed for either one of them Happen. It went to SUMMERVILLE South Carolina & the postal carrier crammed it into my daughter's mailbox. It took her 10 minutes to get it out. It was suppose to be marked FRAGILE. And I have mailed Packages that were suppose to fly & they didn't & no tracking info.

It has been a job trying to get my things from point A to point B. These people are getting Away with throwing our packages sending them to Different Addresses because they are too lazy to read what is on the package. I have read All people's COMPLAINTS & my personal opinion they need to show a little respect & go back into training. Then I call. All I get is Excuses instead of answers. Some days go by they don't even deliver main at the place I live. Something needs to be done with the postal service. I Will Never ship through them again...

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

A package sent from Japan reached California but never made it to the zip code in the address. The zip code was for New Mexico, not California. When no California address was found matching the address on the shipping label, the package was sent to Tokyo and marked "delivered" in the tracking history. USPS seems unaware of how zip codes work. In addition, sending a package to a location 6000 miles from the address on the label counts as "delivered".

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

12/30/2017 USPS did not deliver for me my MEDICATION. They did not deliver my medication but wrote down that the mailbox was full, that was not true. My family was at home the whole day. No one called us or brought my MEDICATION to the apartment. 01/03/2018 we asked USPS to redeliver the package at 01/06/2018. My MEDICATION was not delivered. On the USPS site we see that the package in transit for now. Today is 01/10. If I do not get the package today I would probably go to the hospital. Yesterday my daughter called USPS, and they said there was 3 hours wait until they will call back, and they did not call.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I am... USPS Customer. Who committed the alleged misconduct/wrongdoing? Employees of USPS. What are the facts? What caused the problem? What are the results of the problem? Please be as specific as possible. Over 4 years West Palm Beach Distribution Center has stolen 3 packages! I caught one employee on camera scanning a package and failing to deliver it! 14 parcels vandalized! When did the misconduct/wrongdoing occur? Sat, 01/06/2018 Where did the misconduct/wrongdoing occur? West Palm Beach Distribution Center as Kain Mail center and the 33415 zip code. How was the misconduct/wrongdoing committed? Most recently I had a $2k check certified mailed to me on January 3rd and it was suppose to arrive January 5th, today is January 9th it can not be located. The tracking status is arrive at the West Palm Beach Distribution Center and is delayed for 4 days.

I went over there, which this place is a 5 minute walk from my house. Literally down my street! They said it can't be located??? This is the third stolen package! In December I received a card and a priority package vandalized by USPS at the West Palm Beach Distribution Center! In November again a package was deliberately tore open, trifled through and shoved back in the envelope. Two years ago I order my son a pair of $250 shoes for his party gift. The shoes were signature and certified mail. We never received the shoes after following the tracking. We saw it was marked as signed and delivered. We went over our cameras and saw the mail person scan a package and not deliver it the day in the truck rustled around and drove off. We contacted the police and USPS. They swore the investigated and I email the video. Nothing was done and they claim no fraud or theft was committed that the shoes just disappeared!

We had several more Packages deliberately open and vandalized. We complain to a very rude and foul mouth nasty manager who told us where to shove it. We call Customer service and they said they would investigate. Nothing! I mailed out my $1400 watch through USPS to be repaired in another country and it was repaired and mailed back through USPS priority mail. The watch made it all the way around the world and five domestic states and even to our front door according to tracking history. We were not home to sign for it. So a note was left at my door. That night I went to the post offices with the note they said that it had not been brought back to the distribution center. Come back tomorrow. This exact response happen three nights in a row. I call Customer service and they concluded yet again the watch simply disappeared!!! Enough is enough!!!

They are stealing my mail and invading my privacy and vandalizing my packages routinely!!! I complain and absolutely nothing is done. All the worker are rude, incompetent and unwilling to help. I watch one delivery woman delivering mail while in the phone driving down my residential street. She was so occupied on her phone she misdelivered a package to me and proceed to drive on and run into my neighbor's mailbox with her truck! I have also received at least five misdelivered packages over the last two years. We always have different mail carriers. I am sick and tired of this Bull crap! I would love to see USPS sued for failure to render services, grand theft, vandalism, fraud, invasion of privacy, incompetence and consumer abuse. They are hiding behind their government brand and covering scandals worse than the Catholic Pope!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I paid $23.75 for next day delivery before noon with signature required. I checked status all morning - and afternoon. At 2:30 USPS tracking said it would be delivered by 8 pm. I called local PO and said I was going to file for a refund. 10 minutes later I got an email from USPS saying it was left at reception at 11:47 am. When I emailed back asking for proof of delivery they replied that I had "waived signature" - that is NOT true. I requested signature because I have been dealing with USPS for years and I know that they quite often do not deliver mail at all. I would not have paid $23.75 to have an envelope delivered and not wanted a signature to prove it. The USPS should be privatized. It could not be any worse than it is now.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

This review is for a terrible experience I've had with a particular package(s) this last month. It all started when I bought Christmas presents (prints) from an Etsy shop for $51.25. My package was said to arrive on December 14 and the tracking stated "delivered in/near mailbox" but it was in fact not. I contacted the seller and she advised that I wait a few days to see if it would show up. It never did and the seller offered to send me another set of prints at the discounted price of $16. I really wanted to give these prints as gift so I re-ordered but again when I got the "delivered" notification on December 29, I had nothing delivered.

I was actually at home when I got the 2nd notification of delivery and ran out to find the mailman parked at the end of my block. I asked him where this package was because it was most definitely not delivered but he could give me no answer. He flipped some boxes over "looking" for my package but I told him it would be an envelope. It looked like he just didn't care. He took the tracking number and said he would follow up after asking his supervisor. He never followed up with me. I called the USPS 1800 number and was on hold for an hour, and opened a case. They told me that by a week they would find my packages or be able to tell me where they are. 7 days pass and I get a call from USPS consumer affairs and they tell me "your order is marked as delivered"... I took all my energy and strength not to flip out on them, it's as if I waited a week for a "** you". Then the guy on the other line told me my post office would call me with a better answer.

When they finally called they had the balls to tell me it was delivered and even told me to check my mailbox. Like seriously? Do you actually think I would go through all this hassle WITHOUT checking my mailbox? The last thing he said was that I should file a claim. I told him I couldn't because it was not insured. He sounded so confused like he didn't know that uninsured mail can't have claims filed. I'm am very disappointed with the lack of care or accountability from the USPS. I feel like I threw away $67.25 which is not a lot compared to other complaints here but it's the lack of care that annoys me. How do you lose the same package twice and not care? No respect for the consumers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

USPS is ridiculous! They are rude and lie all the time. I had ordered a iPhone case for my phone. My post office driver said she delivered it, and lied??? She also very lazy to point where she don't even like to get out her mail car. She will pass you up and purposely miss your house if there is a car in the way. Then the online info is horrible. It’s takes an arm and a leg to do a claim. I hate USPS.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I spoke to a gentleman, at your post office (LAKE HAVASU CITY AZ post office 01/06/18), that was in line to mail a package, that mainstream media, lies constantly, Pres. Trump says so. A lady overheard me say that, and had a emotional breakdown standing in line, I did not escalate this problem. I neutralized by not speaking anymore, she had an emotional breakdown due to the information, not my fault, and then DEAN ** told me to leave, before my package was mailed, you told me not to speak, or you would kick me out of post office, my First Amendment is a ratified bill, I hope you know that, Dean **.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We sent out Christmas cards to family in California from Montana. They went out before Christmas, it's January 9th and so far only one out of at least 15 has been delivered. One had a gift card so it actually does matter that they went missing. Have never had to wait so long for mail delivery in the US.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I sell items online and sometimes arrange for a pickup at my home, mainly when I have one that is too big to fit into the after hours depository because I work M-F, 8-5 and can't get to the post office during the hours they are open. On more than one occasion my package hasn't been picked up. The straw that broke the camel's back is when the USPS delivered two packages to me and sat them DIRECTLY on top of my outgoing packages. To be clear, I always leave a note taped directly above the packages stating they are to be picked up, so there isn't room for a misunderstanding. Later that night, I received an email notice stating the pick up had been made and that INFURIATED ME because someone at the post office had to have put that blatantly false information into their system. That was enough to prompt me to file a complaint. After the complaint was filed, I was "blacklisted."

I had, all of a sudden, an inordinate amount of packages that were misdelivered, arrived in my town only to be sent back out causing long delays, or that arrived late for no reason. What's worse, when I moved I had a few packages that were in transit. I called the post office and spoke directly to my mail carrier and was told that he had personally intercepted each of the 4 parcels and forwarded them to my new address a few miles away. HA! He used this opportunity to "stick it to me." None of the packages were forwarded. Each ended up being returned to the sender, despite the fact I had a forwarding order in place the mail carrier assured me they would be sent to my new home. Additionally, none of the packages was simply returned to sender. They each took WELL over a month to be returned.

One of the sellers sent out my package again and it was delivered to a house one street over (yes, the address on the package was correct) FOUR TIMES. The 4th time, the homeowner was nice enough to drive to my house and knock on my door to give me the package. Packages continue to be late. A perfect example: I had a jacket that should have been delivered Friday. Tracking indicated it arrived in my town Thursday evening only to be sent one state over the same night. It arrived back in my town at 5am Saturday so it should have been delivered Saturday. Guess what? NO JACKET. I have spent hours and hours on the phone with postal employees who were inept, rude, apathetic, or all of the above. They simply don't care, and when you have finally had enough and are pushed far enough where you register a complaint you are singled out by these same inept, vindictive employees.

If anyone in upper management wonders why the USPS is losing money hand over fist, give me a call. My problems are a PERFECT example of how poorly this agency is run and operated. It is a big free for all. I never, never, NEVER have an issue with UPS or FedEx. In 10 years, I've had a combined total of 4 packages arrive late from UPS/FedEx and they were only a day late.

Now, let's talk about damage. A conservative estimate of breakage/damage on packages received by USPS is 70% on breakable items. It's a fraction of that with the other carriers. I hope UPS, FedEx, Amazon, WalMart, or someone else starts their own service for letters and small parcels to fill the huge, ugly, incompetent void left by the USPS. I hope the USPS organization dies an ugly death. This kind of incompetence and disregard can't go on forever, so it's just a matter of time and I will hoot, holler, and applaud when their festering, rotting, rat infested ship goes down.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Ok I ordered this game on the 31st of December of 2017. It is now the 6th of January. Was supposed to be delivered today or so the tracker says. Went down and checked the mailbox twice and no package! Now mind you the mailboxes at the complex where I live is key access so there's no way one of the neighbors could have taken it! Keep a better eye on your employees that deliver people’s mail.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

If you're a smart consumer, you won't rely on any business transaction that does business with USPS as a service provider. For millennials and younger folk who don't know the history, you might not "get" that a once reliable and stalwart American Institution (The USPS) has steadily gone down the tubes over at least the past 50 years and has never recovered, even though they seem to have made some occasional attempts. They're at their best for delivering all sorts of daily junk mail to your box. But when you're doing serious business and needing important documents to be delivered on schedule (if they arrive at all) --- forget it! FEDEX or UPS is your only guarantee. This is not "fake news". Many have been ill-served by this institution for and least 50 years. And they continue to exist. Talk about "entitlement."!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Had gifts sent from Ireland on Dec 8, 2017, it was held by USPS UNTIL DEC 30, 2017 and ruined my son's Christmas & Granddaughter's Christmas!! There was no reason to hold either of these packages in New York! I wrote. They told me they would investigate. "They never have gotten back with me". What has happen to our postal service? I will never ship anything through them ever again.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I ordered a part on eBay. The seller used USPS ground to ship the part from Florida to Arizona. It was shipped Dec 18, and after several notifications that it was out for delivery on Dec 22, I received additional notifications that there was no status update. Followed by an update that it was still in Jacksonville FL on Dec 26! It is now Jan 3 and the status says location unknown "on its way". In my mind USPS should have a major lawsuit against them for incompetence and false advertising. I recommended that the shipper never use USPS again for anything important.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I have owned numerous properties in the borough of Bath for over 25 years and have had my mailboxes in the same location. Some of my mailboxes are in the rear of the house due to not having access to the front of the house. Sandra ** the Postmaster of Bath took it upon herself to change the location of just one of them. Which we have numerous other ones in the rear. She sent me a letter that she wanted to do this. I wasn't able to respond because I had lost her letter. I had never received another letter. She stopped delivering the mail without me being able to discuss the situation. The mail person still walks within 20 feet of the location of the mailbox. There is no reasoning with this Postmaster.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

It is impossible to talk to a real agent. The automatic phone line asked all kinds of questions, but then when I answered the question and gave the tracking number, it said it did not get it and kept asking me for it. Finally, it asked me to call back when I have the tracking number. It is so frustrating and time wasting. I wish USPS can improve this phone line issue, so the customers can actually get some help. The tracking showed that the package is being returned. But it has been a couple of months and I still have not received it.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

We have a mail box where USPS is the only carrier that had access to put mail and small to medium sized packages in. Today I saw the USPS driver drop a small size envelope off at the door and was utterly confused because they've never done this before. When I retrieved the package I saw a large tear In the side and the contents were empty. I then realized the reason that the USPS driver did this was because he figured that by putting the empty package on the step he'd be able to blame it on a passerby (that would never happen in my neighborhood). Upon contacting USPS they ignored the claim and essentially said there was no way for me to prove it. This is a terrible organization and should be replaced by FedEx or UPS as both of these companies (in my experience) will bend over backwards for their customers while USPS will just try to **.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

USPS seems to be above the law and any complaints via the BBB so I'm coming after them here. I have a remarkable backlog of insurance claims that they have yet to make good on. They deliberately make the claim process difficult and drag it out for months. Oftentimes the claims packets they are supposed to mail never come. I currently have four open claims, the oldest dating back to 11/2016. The ones that they HAVE closed was because the item was found after months and the customer no longer needed it and was refunded anyway. This company is full of government BS and they get away with it. They owe me about $1400 bucks in lost international packages and if they don't start cooperating I want someone to investigate them for fraud. They take our insurance money and give themselves more paid holidays. Enough is enough, run it like a normal business and be accountable to your customers!!!

USPS Company Information

Washington
DC
www.usps.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use