1.34/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

7022 USPS Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I ordered a book from Amazon a couple days ago. Just received an email from Amazon saying "USPS wasn't able to enter your building to deliver your package". I live in a residential house, not in an apartment building. We are replacing roof. To give the roofers access to my driveway. I parked my car on street, in front of the mailbox. I guess what happened is that the USPS person's tiny white cart cannot immediately parked by the mailbox (usually he does and he does not need to get out of his cart when he "delivers" mails to the mailbox).

Because I parked on street and thus "blocked" mailbox and he did not bother to deliver our mail and my book. I had no other place to park because that spot is where in between my driveway and my next door neighbor's driveway. I cannot block my neighbor's driveway so that I could only park there. The reason he dares to do this, is that he is enjoying federal employee's benefits and does not care if anybody complains, he has job security no matter what. I followed instruction and now calling USPS.

The recording said the waiting time is 54-60 minutes. I've been waiting for more than 20 minutes now. Some other company, such as my local utility company, would provide an option for you to be called back, but not in this case, no option but you have to wait. USPS does not respect other people's time. USPS should not continue to waste taxpayer's money. They should be replaced by a private company. The employee's work ethic will be at a totally different level instantly.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Would give 0 stars if that’s a possibility. I don’t know how USPS still exists. First, can’t get in touch with anyone from customer service for hours! Secondly, they never know where their packages are. I had a package mailed 2 states away 3 weeks ago, not only is it not delivered yet. We have been to USPS in person multiple times and they cannot seem to track the package and give us all the wrong information. USPS is a scam and needs to be shut down. I’d never use them ever again. Beyond terrible service, they take your money and lose the package. And when you go to see them in person, they tell you to come back later when the “manager is around” but not able to tell you the timing of when they will return or a # for them. Beyond disappointed that a service like this is allowed to run in any country.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I scheduled the certified mail delivery for Saturday so that I would not miss the carrier. However, consistent with his usual behavior, the carrier just left another notice in the mailbox and did not leave his truck to ring the doorbell for signature. This has happened time and again with EVERY delivery that required signature. Your Carrier is just too lazy to walk up the 20 steps from the mailbox to the front door and has no problem wasting my time to drive to the post office and waste at least an hour for what would have taken him just two minutes; your carrier demonstrates total disregards to the USPS customers. I will instruct all mail to be sent to me by FedEx or UPS; at least they do the job they are paid for.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

It doesn't matter if you pay an additional charge for shipping, it almost becomes a necessity to purchase faster shipping just so you gain a slight chance to receive your item on time. They like to wait until the last minute possible until they have to put their Burger King onion rings and sloppy burger bag down to deliver your grease, germ covered item that came out of their 1997 rusty sedan. Come on guys. Let's leave it to the pros and not the minimum wage part time negligents. I only put 1 star because I had to and because unlike UPS or FedEx they will leave your item there instead of taking it back because no one was home.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

They lose mail regularly. It takes forever when it does arrive. The local P.O. (Stillwater KS) WILL NOT ANSWER THEIR PHONE, forced to call 1-800 # and wait on hold for over an hour if you have a complaint. When an item needs to be signed for and you go to usps.com/redeliver to request redelivery, then sign the form and leave it at your door...they will accept your request on the website and tell you it will be on its way but then they don't redeliver.

And they don't attempt to contact you, either. They will hold your package hostage at their location, which is only open from 9-5 mind you. (HELLO, the rest of the world actually WORKS for a living.) And you can't call them to work out a resolution. (Did I mention THEY DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE?) For everyone who thinks socialism is a good idea, do you really want every service in your life to be as "good" as the one-star rated USPS? This is what happens when the government tries to run a "business". What a fricken racket.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Hi. I am really angry that my package was supposed to be delivered. It hasn't been delivered. Also I had placed a call to the customer service center for help with my package and waited on hold for 1 and a half hrs and got no answer from any customer service rep. I do understand this is a busy time of year for package delivery however I have been waiting on this package for 6 days now and still have no answers to where my package is. The informed delivery is down for fixing. When I call to track my package all it says is (In Transit) which it has stated for a few days now because this has not been being updated to inform me of my package properly. USPS needs to pull it together and get more customer service reps to fix the prolonged hold time of 1 or 2 hrs. USPS also needs to get the delivery issues sorted to provide customers their packages when they are supposed to arrive not late or lost.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I pay for priority 3 day on time shipping and 7 days later item gets to my customers so now customers are upset and leave poor reviews on my page. USPS DOES NOT CARE. They tell you the 3 days are not guaranteed YET THEY STILL CHARGE YOU FOR THIS SERVICE!!! If they charge you for a service and do not provide it! Is that not fraud!!! If I wanted economy shipping I would of paid for just that service! Not the 25 dollars for priority mail service! They should refund the cost of the difference for nonperformance!!! THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME, I HAVE SOLD ITEMS FOR THE LAST 12 YEARS ONLINE and this has never changed no matter how many times you contact USPS. They just don't care!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

On 10/5/18 I ordered shoes that were supposed to be delivered by USPS. I get an email stating that my package was delivered to a parcel locker in my apt complex. It read it was delivered on 10/13/18. Went down to ask the front desk if they left a key to open the parcel box but they said I would have to call the post office to access it since no key was left in my mailbox either. Saw a mailperson outside days later, still had not received my box, so asked if they would open all of the parcel boxes so that I could check for the one that was mine, nothing. 3 weeks go by after promised delivery date was sent to me via email. I just assumed I'd be getting an access key in my mailbox when my box finally did arrive.

After too much waiting, I called USPS tracked my package # & was told by a recording that my box had been taken back to the post office the same day it was delivered, on 10/31. Mind you, the email that stated it was delivered read 10/13. How does that work? So I talk to a USPS rep to try to find out what post office my box was sent to, when he tells me it wasn’t at the post office, it was headed back to the delivery headquarters from where I first bought it! I am now furious, & frustrated. Every piece of delivery information I got was wrong. He tells me I need to call the retailer. I call, & explain the situation as best I can since it's insane at this point, & they tell me it couldn't be delivered due to an address fumble. I didn’t mess up my own address, they did.

This rep tells me she can’t redeliver my box but can reorder the item & adjust the price so that I wouldn’t have to pay more than what I originally paid, which is only fair! I agree, because I only wanted my pretty shoes in the first place, & ask the rep if she can leave a note for the delivery driver to drop the new box off in front of my doorstep. She says she can’t do that, so I just give up & get my refund surrendering my shoes simply because USPS has no clue what they are doing. I will only order if it’s delivered by FedEx now. Worst service ever.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This is the worse delivery service out there! The automotive system is a joke. It doesn't understand you when you speak! I said my confirmation number slow, fast & regular!! I'm so pissed. They allowed me to schedule a re-delivery of my item but never delivered it! The customer service representative kept insisting that I go to the post office & pick it up. I explained to her (nicely) twice before I got ride that I do not have transportation. Why do you offer re-delivery service if you don't plan to REDELIVER?!?! Customers rates this filth of a company 1 star but employees rates are 3.5/4?!? Something ain't right!! If I see that a company is USPS as the delivery service I will definitely think twice about purchasing whatever it is!!!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

At the alleged time of the delivery attempt, I was sitting in the front room of my house with a friend. I was less than 5 meters from the front door. My two dogs were on the second floor sleeping. I heard no knock on the door, but the tracking site updated with the following: "We were unable to attempt delivery of your item on November 5, 2018 at 12:25 pm in WILLIAMSPORT, PA 17701 due to interference by an animal. Your item will go out for delivery on the next business day as conditions permit." If I discover that a wolf, a big cat, or a bear was in the street in front of my house; I'll update this review. The more likely possibility is that the delivery driver was being lazy.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Ordered from Amazon. When I saw it was passed off to USPS too late to cancel. Delivered to someone else. They say delivered inside mailbox Sunday Nov 4. 2 pm. Not there as expected. If I ever see will ship USPS, then cancel order asap.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

This is the absolute worse postal services. I waited all day for a package that the carrier never took the time actually deliver. Next day I leave my apartment to find a letter stating that they attempted. They never came to my door. I call the office with my complaint and ask for next day re-delivery. I monitored the package and it never came. US Postal Service does not honor re-delivery, nor do they the first attempt. Horrible. Now I have to find time to pick up my item when I was suppose to receive it 2 days ago.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

US POST OFFICE DOES NOT HONOR THEIR INSURANCE CLAIMS. I will never use them again for shipping; I will only use UPS or FedEx. I bought from a good vendor on Etsy who shipped a a fairly light, portable typewriter (well-packaged, well protected) to me with insurance from US post office. Package was damaged - looked like it was dropped from a height - seriously damaged the typewriter with a huge dent in the front. Seller filed a claim. I received a letter with claim number and took the letter, product and all packaging materials to this post office so they could "inspect" the package, per their instructions on the claim form. I got to local post office and was told "We don't process claims." Basically, "We can't help you." Uhhh. Well, who does? "St. Louis, Missouri. You need to call them and deal with them." Ridiculous. There's not even a telephone number on their claim form. Hmm wonder why.

Since that was unacceptable to me, a woman came up from the back, took the product and said "I'll take care of it" and walked away, giving me no receipt, no documentation, no information, but lots of attitude. So I stayed and questioned that. I'm not going to give you my product without proper documentation. Every time I asked a question or asked for service, they gave me the run-around. It was terribly unprofessional and they just deflected responsibility. This is for insurance that was purchased! I've since found out they are notorious for being problematic with their shipping. And the lack of understanding of procedure and attitude at this post office - unacceptable. Will not be doing business with them again. Don't ship anything valuable, insured, or fragile through the US Post Office.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have had more than my share of bad experiences with the USPS and avoid having anything ship with them when I can. I recently placed an order online for something and was not able to pick another delivery method. The tracking details haven't been updated since 10/22 and it shows as "Acceptance pending" I have been calling the post office where the package is supposed to be and, for the past 4 days, I have not been able to get through to anyone and I'm given a message stating that the person's mailbox is full.

I tried calling other post offices in the area in hopes of getting a sympathetic ear but I am simply unable to get to a live person. I contacted the main number only to be told that the current wait times are between 48 minutes to an hour. This experience only serves to reinforce my belief that the USPS is one of, if not THE worst agency to deal with. Complete incompetence, lack of customer service and overall uselessness. As I sit here listening to the hold music in hopes someone would pick up while I type this review, I am utterly disgusted at this current experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I have been trying for more than 45 minutes now to access a real-life person at their one 800 supposed CUSTOMER SERVICE phone number. I need to know if a package has been delivered, as the tracking update has not been given only that it was going to be redirected and delivered the next day. I had to give 50 kinds of information and just to get an update on the status of my package after I entered the tracking number. Apparently the COMPUTER could not find my tracking number or did not like the information that I gave verbally. So they said they were going to connect me to someone that could help me. FINALLY!!! WELL... I got excited for NOTHING, because the wait was in excess of an HOUR!!! AND, as I am trying to access this information from an international location, I am not able to schedule a callback. THIS is THE worst customer service I've ever seen in my life and they want increases in stamps? For what!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Lost my package after I paid extra for 2 day shipping. It took about a week for me to receive my package. It was very important I get it sooner than later. Amazon is the only one who sells this particular item so it’s not like I could go pick one up. You pretty much fail me every time but this time was the worst.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have unfortunately received parcels, mail, and magazines and many have come in my mailbox torn/ripped and small parcels are crushed by USPS and partially opened. Even larger boxes they are just left in my crime-ridden neighborhood! Sometimes they ring my doorbell and at times not and leave my box/parcel in front. Just today, my food box was crushed! The USPS has little to no respect mail and parcels. They get high pay and for what; helping to my life difficult!☹

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I will never ever send any packages through USPS ever again. This has been the worst experience, I was excited to send a package to my sister and she never received it after speaking with multiple people in charge and filing two cases. I've never had worse service and I will make sure that I use any other company to send packages in the future. I am very disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

So, I ordered some stuff from an online website for my wedding that is coming up really soon, and I didn't think to look to see who would be delivering the items. Well, unfortuantely, USPS is delivering just about everything that I've ordered. They told me my first package should arrive by Thursday at 8 pm last week. I got super excited that it would be here so soon. Well, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, because they never delivered my item. I tracked it online, and it was not detailed by any means. They told me when it left the original facility and then they didn't update it again until today, almost a week after the initial update.

They said that my package was still on the way, but that it would be arriving later than expected. They didn't even tell me when it would be here!!! Well up until a little while ago, I had no clue when it would be here. And now they're saying it'll be here tomorrow, even though it's at the facility that's literally like 4 miles away from where I live. I am not happy by any means with their delivery services.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Certified Mail sent to Social Security now stuck with "in transit" status and never delivered. I sent it this way so I could track it and be sure it was delivered because the documents inside were so very important. Trying to get a straight answer from USPS as to why it's not moving forward is ridiculous - is it lost, just delayed, being sent back to me (and why if so) -- who the heck knows. Very disappointing and frustrating. Thanks for putting my benefits at risk with your incompetent service.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Supplier shipped package in a timely manner, everything was fine till it hit Orlando, FL. on the scheduled delivery date, which was 10/25. It has been two days that the package is on route to Titusville, FL, which is a 25 minute drive at best. I no longer have a scheduled delivery date. This is the information I have as of 7 am this morning 10/27. This is the worst tracking system. And I will probably have to wait till next week since Titusville PO is the worst I have ever dealt with. Funny thing is, shipping from company is free, but if you want it to arrive on time it cost over $15 so USPS can maybe get it on time! Oh yeah, I ordered a charger for my tablet to replace one that broke... I could have driven to pick it up myself in less time than it takes them to deliver it! Disgusted!!!

October 26, 2018 (NOTE NO TIME POSTED) In Transit to Next Facility. "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility." October 25, 2018, 5:26 am Arrived at USPS Regional Facility SEMINOLE-ORLANDO FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER. October 25, 2018, 2:46 am Departed USPS Regional Facility JACKSONVILLE FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Worst automated service ever! The system will not connect you to a human, no matter what you do. It does not understand letter sounds, so it continually says the wrong letters when it asks you to say tracking numbers. There is nothing you can do because if you say it and it does not get it right, it tells you that it needs a number and to call back when you have it and hangs up. That is why the postal service will soon be obsolete, because it is useless.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My Granddaughter’s gift, she has not received. Priority Mail. I keep checking tracking and it just says in transit at West Palm Beach. 9 days ago... still nothing. So disappointed. A legal letter sent on Oct. 9, still not received and it's the 21st. Tracking says the same thing. In transit in West Palm Beach. I sent a package to my other Granddaughter and it was received, torn open and the gift card taken. Cannot count on USPS anymore. Guess I cannot sent Christmas gifts this year.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Absolutely disgraceful. Tracked my husband’s suit for my father’s funeral and it said “delivered in or at mailbox”. Checked the box and absolutely nothing was inside not even a slip. Took a pic of the empty box and have been sitting on hold for a customer service representative for almost 2 hours. Every apartment is numbered so I don’t see what’s the issue. Our flight leaves on a Sunday morning and today’s the day before our flight, we have to run out to find a suit because USPS couldn’t just do their job.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I received a text notification that my package was being held at the customer's request. I did not request that my package be held. I did ask the substitute driver if he had a package for me. He said he didn't know if it was on the truck because they pulled him from Republic. I told him to knock when he came back with my package so that I would know it was there. I was pleasant. I was hopeful that I'd get my package. He didn't knock of course. It was almost 7pm. It was dark. It was cold. I guess he wanted to go home or something.

I do not drive. In order for me to get my package I would have to spend between $25 and $30 for a taxi or Uber. That's like paying quadruple shipping. I think it is terribly unfair for me to pay extra and to have do the job of the Post Office. The Post Office has 2 choices now. The first choice is to bring my package to me. The second choice is to ship it all the way back to the United Kingdom from whence it came. I'm cool with that second choice because I'll get my money back.

Here is what else I will do. I will call the company in the UK and ask if it's possible to have future orders shipped through UPS. I will explain to them that delivery exceptions occur frequently and it's not due to theft. I will explain that it is due to service quality problems with our postal system. I will tell them how many times I've had to track down missing packages and pay up to $30 to go get a package that was supposed to be sent to my home.

I will go to the Facebook group where I found out about this product - it's yarn by the way. I will tell them how poorly our local Post Office does its job and how much I wish I could be using this yarn to make my friend's Christmas present. I will also purchase that product from the one retailer in the United State that sells it and have it delivered to my PO Box. I'll just pick it up when I grab the mail from my box.

I will also contact the postmaster general of the United States in writing. I'm going to email every state and federal representative and senator. I am going to contact a local television station and ask them to investigate our local post office and the delivery exceptions that are routine. It's not just me. Look at the reviews for the local Post Office especially the facility located at Bennet and West Bypass.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Package said it was delivered at 12:19, yet two hours later still not here. I call and they say it was “scanned as delivered in error” however this is the third time it has happened to me! GET YOUR ** TOGETHER USPS, you lying sack of ** company.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

An order I placed with Rock Auto on 10-7-18 for auto parts and shipped on 10-7, shipped with USPS. Order was shipped from their warehouse in Fresno, CA and went to Dayton, Ohio which is almost to the East coast, then went to Cincinnati, Ohio, then went to Bismark, ND, then to Missoula, MT which is 345 miles past Billings, MT which is where the distribution for USPS for my area. USPS does not show a predicted delivery date or where it is now in route to as package showed departing Missoula on 10-17 at 3:55 pm.

And my complaint with Rock Auto is they won't do anything about it. They won't bother to find out from USPS what is going on. My order is now 12 days old and still no possible delivery date. So my complaint is both with Rock Auto for not doing anything for customer service and with USPS for shipping a package all around the country for no reason. Package should have come directly North from California probably through Salt Lake City and to Billings. Originally was supposed to be delivered to me on 10-12. Now is 10-18 and still no possible delivery date. I have read lots of complaints recently about how bad USPS is getting and now I have seen it myself.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I have a USPS tracking number. When I enter it it basically says nothing. It doesn't tell me where my shipment is, it doesn't tell me when to expect it, it's worthless. FedEx and UPS have systems that function properly. Easy to know when your shipment will arrive and where it's at. Why does yours do nothing???? You're shipping costs have gone up and your tracking system is useless. Somebody needs to wake up over there.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I ordered a shoe from Amazon originally cost $110. It was on sale for 24 hrs. I bought it half price, paid and shipped... Tracking the products, said delivery by USPS. Got home after an hour. The mailbox was blank. Ok let's call USPS. Then I was on the phone for almost 45 min and kept on dropping... After the 3rd trial I was able to speak to an agent who claims the package was dropped off on my porch, I live in an apartment. I don't have a porch I said and all of a sudden she said I'm having attitude they can't tolerate... Where is my package? She said it has to be reported as a lost package like as if my time and money doesn't matter. Ask me how I feel. I wish USPS in Cedar Rapids Iowa should be turned into kids toys shop and fire everyone from top to bottom.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I ordered a product online to only find out that it was 7 miles away. It was shipped by USPS. It went all the way to Los Angeles to San Francisco and it’s on its way back to me a week plus later when it only had to go 7 miles. It was shipped from Roseville to Sacramento 7 miles. Why in the world would you send it to LA and San Francisco and still be a week plus out and delivery. You have to ask yourself why your business is failing. This is a perfect example.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs