2. Moving
  3. Shipping Companies

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.66/5
Based on 4,819 ratings submitted in the last year

USPS Reviews

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

I had the most awesome experience with USPS and this is why... I ordered something on eBay and in my haste to order I gave them the wrong shipping address to my office (I was off by one number). When I tried to contact the seller prior to the shipment, they didn't reply in a timely manner. I tried to intercept the package with USPS, but they were having technical difficulties so I called them. Yeah I waited a good 40 minutes to get someone on the phone and they told me I couldn't intercept the package only the shipper could and it would cost $14.00, so I kept pursuing a remedy.

Somewhere along my pursuit I was told to go to the distribution center once I know the package got there (I was getting text updates on my phone). When I got to what I thought was the distribution center, I was told the distribution center is off limits to the public and I was at a Post Office. There a woman gave me a consumer affairs number to call which was local. That person said it was possible that he could let staff know once the package got to my local post office to hold it for me for pickup because it would automatically go back to the sender when they see that the wrong address wasn't even a deliverable address. The representative gave me a confirmation number.

The next day I got a call from my local post office saying they haven't found my package, but they are aware of the situation and will let my carrier know. The next day I got another call that they found my package and my carrier will deliver it to me on Saturday, which was today. Luckily my husband was working at the office so he was able to accept it and I didn't have to wait until Tuesday (after Columbus Day). Honestly, you would have thought I was a V.I.P. with connections or had some really important item needing to get to me. They were so amazingly courteous, caring and professional over a simple package. Way to go USPS and the staff at the Miami Consumer Affairs Office as well as my North Miami Post office. T H R I L L E D.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

These days, UPS is so much more expensive than USPS, so we use the post office. Plus, they have locations everywhere and their tracking has become more efficient. It remains a wonder to me that for just 50 cents, you can mail a letter anywhere in the U.S. and it will be there in just 2-3 days. In order for me to UPS or FedEx a letter anywhere in the U.S., it will cost me between $16 - $68, depending upon whether I want it to go 2-day or overnight and that is ridiculous. Packages are even higher now. Whereas a decade ago, it made sense to use UPS or FedEx, that is simply no longer the case with USPS' capabilities.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

There is no comparison between the post office service and UPS. Whereas UPS throws (yes, THROWS) the packages onto our porch, the mail carriers ALWAYS rings our bell and places our packages neatly in the corner of our porch. I would especially like to mention that, early on Christmas Eve, as we were literally pulling out of the driveway for a 3-hour trip without our grandson's gifts (which was delayed by the seller), our postal carrier pulled up behind our car and placed the boxes in the trunk of our car! Normally, because of the layout of his route, our mail does not arrive until much later in the day, but because he noticed the shipper, he said he "had a feeling" it was supposed to have arrived sooner and he wanted to make sure it got to us "before Santa left." HE was our real Santa that day!

While I acknowledge that UPS drivers are hard-workers with a lot of pressure, none of the drivers on our route have ever been very friendly; however, every USPS mail carrier on this route in 10 years has been beyond pleasant and treated our packages with care. When my spouse was incapacitated, a couple carriers even hand-delivered our mail to the house, rather than leave it in our mailbox across the street. I have nothing but kind words about our postal workers - both the carriers and the workers at the local office.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

USPS is my #1 in shipping services due to the prices are lower than the competition. During the holidays they delivered all the packages from items I sold by Christmas Eve and buyers were so happy as they were not expecting this. USPS works hard and long hours especially my mailman who always can be relied on and is dedicated to his job. I am 85 yrs old and my mailbox is located far from my apartment so my mailman takes the extra time to pickup and deliver my packages to me. I like the convenience of scheduling the pickup online and to view my mail with informed delivery. I have never encountered lost items or damaged goods from USPS. I understand why the recent price changes in postage due to the increase in packages from Amazon and online purchases and I can accept this.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I use USPS regular because they're convenient to where I live. Service at the P.O.is always good and prices are good as well. I have rural mail delivery in a mobile home community and our/my biggest problem with that is, the carriers. As regular people they are fine but as far as their work ethic and quality of service goes, they are lacking. They mix up our mail and often I get others mail and vice versa. Post Master doesn't seem too concerned about that and only suggests we bring the incorrect mail back to the P.O. for re-delivery and has mentioned getting a PO Box to avoid such issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

My package sat in one of their facilities For 3 weeks once without moving through the system as I was tracking it. Took me almost a month to get the package from Penn to Ohio. Another time I Sent a item sold on Ebay a few states over and same thing happened. It sat idle with the tracking info not changing while the customer worried that it would fail to arrive on time for a Christmas gift. Got many angry emails from customer and it threatened my positive feedback. Finally arrived after a case was opened but customer missed item in time for Christmas. Now, same thing happening. I have a package that failed to arrive on time per tracking info and it's just sitting somewhere and not advancing thru the system. Had to open a case. In my opinion and experiences USPS is a very slow company with shipping and appear to be careless when handling products to be shipped.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Sent my sister a box with small items in it. I ensured to tape all ends where the box might open so the items would not slip. When the box got to my sister, the box was empty. She immediately sent me pictures of the box and it clearly showed it was tampered with. The box was not taped the same way I taped it prior to mailing it and the box also showed signs of forceful opening. I will never send anything through USPS. Don't trust them, don't send anything through them, it's worth paying more through private mailing system than mailing anything through USPS.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Was expecting time sensitive package (contract for a customer and check) was accepted in Tenn USPS office for next day delivery, with a delivery date of next day by 3pm to S Fl. My wife was home all morning and day, I was home after 2pm waiting. Regular mail came, but no next day package. No notices left, still no package now 5pm. My suggestion, spend the extra bucks and use FedEx, for me they have NEVER missed a PROMISED delivery time.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

Every year we are quoted when a package will be delivered through USPS once it's been recorded from International shipping into the US. Every year we send the package a month in advance. We received packages fine but the shipping into the US is NEVER on time. They are over priced and NEVER deliver on time and trying to reach someone is near impossible without being transferred over and over. This is why USPS is failing and only wants more money to provide a service they already cannot handle. Sad....

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

The estimated time for delivery that USPS gives you is rarely correct. I mean it’s fine if the package doesn’t get here until after Christmas but don’t lie to me and tell me that it would. The anticipation is killing me and playing with my emotions. I don’t like that. Just tell me when it gets here and don’t try to please me by lying to me.

Avoid expensive home repairs

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home warranty for you.

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team