3.65/5
Based on 4,638 ratings submitted in the last year

7509 USPS Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

These days, UPS is so much more expensive than USPS, so we use the post office. Plus, they have locations everywhere and their tracking has become more efficient. It remains a wonder to me that for just 50 cents, you can mail a letter anywhere in the U.S. and it will be there in just 2-3 days. In order for me to UPS or FedEx a letter anywhere in the U.S., it will cost me between $16 - $68, depending upon whether I want it to go 2-day or overnight and that is ridiculous. Packages are even higher now. Whereas a decade ago, it made sense to use UPS or FedEx, that is simply no longer the case with USPS' capabilities.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

There is no comparison between the post office service and UPS. Whereas UPS throws (yes, THROWS) the packages onto our porch, the mail carriers ALWAYS rings our bell and places our packages neatly in the corner of our porch. I would especially like to mention that, early on Christmas Eve, as we were literally pulling out of the driveway for a 3-hour trip without our grandson's gifts (which was delayed by the seller), our postal carrier pulled up behind our car and placed the boxes in the trunk of our car! Normally, because of the layout of his route, our mail does not arrive until much later in the day, but because he noticed the shipper, he said he "had a feeling" it was supposed to have arrived sooner and he wanted to make sure it got to us "before Santa left." HE was our real Santa that day!

While I acknowledge that UPS drivers are hard-workers with a lot of pressure, none of the drivers on our route have ever been very friendly; however, every USPS mail carrier on this route in 10 years has been beyond pleasant and treated our packages with care. When my spouse was incapacitated, a couple carriers even hand-delivered our mail to the house, rather than leave it in our mailbox across the street. I have nothing but kind words about our postal workers - both the carriers and the workers at the local office.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

USPS is my #1 in shipping services due to the prices are lower than the competition. During the holidays they delivered all the packages from items I sold by Christmas Eve and buyers were so happy as they were not expecting this. USPS works hard and long hours especially my mailman who always can be relied on and is dedicated to his job. I am 85 yrs old and my mailbox is located far from my apartment so my mailman takes the extra time to pickup and deliver my packages to me. I like the convenience of scheduling the pickup online and to view my mail with informed delivery. I have never encountered lost items or damaged goods from USPS. I understand why the recent price changes in postage due to the increase in packages from Amazon and online purchases and I can accept this.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I was expecting a Priority Mail Package that was sent from PA to AL on 1/7/19. Estimated arrival was 1/10/19. When it did not arrive I signed up for their handy little tracking notifications. The fact that it was late did not upset me greatly, as no one gets it right ALL the time. But what concerned me was that there was no tracking scans after departure.

So, on the 12th I called Customer Service. I have to say, it was frustrating trying to get an actual person on the line (no choice offered). There was 1-1/2 hour wait for a return call! (They're overworked!) But when Deloris called me, she was wonderful! She was pleasant, professional, and very helpful. She promised to forward my concern to management so they could follow up. And they FOUND my package!!! It tracked to my local Post Office 4 days later & was delivered on the 16th! So, yes, even though it was late and a little stressful, they did what they needed to do to locate my package & get it to me! So, I'm very relieved & grateful! Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I was having an issue with my change of address because I changed it twice within a month time span. I called the USPS to make sure everything was ok and not held up. I got the most amazing, kind, ambitious woman on the phone! Her name was Tiana and she was so friendly! Come to find out nothing was wrong with my change of address. I was just jumping the ball, eager to get my mail. During my change of addresses, I received a postcard from a scammer leveraging the USPS to scam people!! This is one of my biggest pet peeves because my grandparents have been scammed multiple times. They present the postcard as if there is a package being held up.

Being that I was doing a change of address, I thought oh shoot!! I better hurry up and call these folks!! Well just in case I decided to Google the number first and sure enough, pops up on the FRAUD #s!! I mentioned this to Tiana and she took my complaint seriously! She even filed a form to let the company know about this and hopefully save another person from getting scammed!! I'm so appreciative for people like her who take initiative to prevent this from happening!! She was so lovely to work with and I really appreciate her!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USPS?

Original review: June 16, 2019

My son purchased heavy glass items, the same thing from two different individuals. Each person packaged really well with bubble wrap and paper, both had fragile/ glass written multiple times on the boxes. Each one arrived, different days, and both were broken. These were collectibles and I was so disappointed and he offered to find another. I told him no because I didn’t want another beautiful pitcher destroyed in shipping. The US Postal Service was at one time better than this.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Why do I print tracking numbers and labels at home for the sake of having to stand in line all day and when I drop the item off and let the customer know it has been delivered to you? I have no proof because you do not do your job. Scan my item so they will know you have them. What in the earth is wrong with yall. I go through this every time I ship something? Do your job…

I dropped this off on 6/10/2019 and you have me dropping it of on 6/11/2019, that is a lie. I am sick of you not doing your job. Customers are going to check tracking and think I did not drop it off when I told them because you did not scan it on the day I dropped it off. That makes me look as if I lied. And causing my business to suffer!!!!

Original review: June 13, 2019

When we tried to contact customer service its keep on repeating same message like enter tracking number and when I entered it will say it can't understand. After some time I thought it will connect to a person. But it's a never ending story. We can't keep on enter tracking number for 2 min and it will say it does not understand.

Original review: June 11, 2019

My USPS service has continued to go south for the last few years in the Houston area. Lost packages and mail, terrible service and rude and ignorant employees. Can we please privatize this mess so we can have competition in this lost quest?!

Original review: June 11, 2019

Horrible service! USPS didn't deliver my item to me but simply marked it as "delivered to my mailbox" on their website! I live at a house with a mailbox, so it was not likely to be stolen. I tried to contact them, but it has been over a month, I still haven't had any updates from them except that they have received my case! They might have lost my mail, yet they marked it as "delivered" and refused to offer me any response about it. They don't even want to admit that they have lost it. What a dishonest company! I will never choose USPS again if I have any other options!

Original review: June 7, 2019

I just moved to Elk. I went to the post office and asked if I needed to move my mailbox to the curb because my house had one of the wall. I had heard that I would have to ask. They informed me that it was fine to leave it on the wall. So I had all my mail sent to my new address. I never received mail and that was weird. Then I started to receive calls from people saying all my mail was being sent back.

One reason for it being sent back was vacant. I have been living in my house for a month. Went to the post office and asked why. The lady told me maybe the delivery guy just didn’t want to deliver it. She would let him know to start going there. Then I got another call a week later that my bills were being sent back. Luckily I get emails for my bills also. Went to the post office and the supervisor was brought to me. Informed me that I had to move my mailbox to the curb and the delivery guy should have left me a note. NEVER GOT A NOTE. She was rude and said they kept my mail for 30 days and sent it all back.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I registered to have my mail forwarded. It did not work. My mail was still going to my old address. I was also supposed to be receiving emails regarding the mail that was incoming. This did not work either. Mail was still going to my old address and in turn, I had to deal with and associate with a volatile situation with people I did not wish to deal with and put myself at risk JUST to get important mail. Thanks USPS. Get your ** together. Too bad they have a monopoly or I'd find some other way to have my mail delivered. This issue is inexcusable and causing me stress and putting me in a position that, if USPS was responsible and could simply forward mail. **, USPS.

Original review: June 4, 2019

First class, certified letter mailed to me on 5/16/19. Today is 6/4/19. I've been tracking on USPS website and all I ever see is, "In Transit, Arriving Late

Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way." It is currently in transit to the next facility." Which at this point must just be a lie. I've submitted two inquiries to no avail. Letter contains a fairly large cashiers check. Wish sender had used Fedex.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Important documents shipment delayed. Documents were sent by Priority 2 days express mail on Thursday, at noon, $46 were paid, delivery scheduled for Saturday 3pm, did not happened. It is Sunday evening now, last updates was 16 hours ago that it left Honolulu. So package spent two solid days in Hawaii, left it after promised delivery date. In local post office here in Anchorage, workers said that it never happened that parcel from Hawaii to Alaska will arrive in promised 2 days, even priority express. It is normally 3-5 days, and delivery is not happening on weekends and holidays unless premium 12.50 is paid. That premium was not offered or mentioned in Hawaiian office, neither that even though delivery scheduled on weekend it will not be delivered anyway. DO NOT USE THIS FOR SOMETHING YOU WANT TO BE DELIVERED IN TIME. IT DOES NOT WORK!!! If it is really your priority, use other shipment services, like FedEx.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I sell quite a bit and mail packages frequently. USPS carriers have been so lazy that they don’t come to my house to pick up the packages or they come drop off my mail, but IGNORE the OBVIOUS outgoing packages sitting in there. Like wtf??? I had to chase a carrier down later in his route after I got home and saw that he dropped my mail off, but didn’t grab the outgoing packages. He pulled his headphones off and shrugged a “sorry” at me. People at the post office aren’t any better. Beyond rude and rush you through like you’re inconveniencing them. Tracking is a joke since they don’t always scan when they’re supposed to. Seriously USPS has been the worst. I even received packages where THEY screwed up my packages in transit and had the nerve to stick a piece of paper basically saying “sorry we can’t be responsible for this”. So I’m left with a materials covered in dirt/broken glass, and all I get is a crappy apology? I hate USPS.

Original review: May 25, 2019

Uncivil and impolite Blawnox PA 15238 staff. Confused my passport appointment. Instead of 5/24 came in on 5/25. I politely asked if they could assist with my application today. My passport expires and it is an urgent matter. I was told I have to make another appointment because they are VERY busy and booked all today. It would have been fine except I did NOT see anybody in the store. It was a Saturday and they were both literally sitting idle.

I got curious about that so I asked if I can be on stand by in case any of the appointments did not show. Both Alexis and Brian refused. They were basically waiting with crossed arms for customers to come in YET they refused to assist with my need. I had all my paperwork in order. It would have only taken 5 minutes or so. It would have been a simple act of kindness, but clearly they were not willing to help a customer. In fact I think that was a passive act of aggression and power play. These people are employees of a government owned entity and should have done their job. Very disappointed by the two individuals.

Original review: May 25, 2019

I use USPS to ship out pre paid packages all the time. Because the labels are pre-paid they don’t need to be paid for with the the clerk. You can simply drop the package off and a clerk will scan the package in at the end of the day or when they are not busy with customers. Recently, the USPS carriers have not been scanning pre paid packages in and updating the tracking number and simply just delivering the package, also not confirming a delivery status. After 8 days of the tracking number not being updated I filed for a missing package. I understand packages do not go missing for long and eventually get delivered or returned to the mailer. It has been 14 days and no update.

The USPS have been poorly performing their jobs. I understand that more people are buying online but, that doesn’t give any USPS representatives to under perform their duties. Using pre paid labels saves time from waiting in line but, if tracking labels aren’t being scanned and the USPS representatives cannot perform their duties for the position they applied for then USPS can no longer be trusted to deliver ANYTHING.

Original review: May 24, 2019

So many times when I purchased something on Amazon, it is failed to delivery. At most time it's even unable to redelivery and I have to call a Uber to the post office to pick my package up. Also sometimes I cannot find my package when it shows the package is delivered. When I asked the officer, they said they will help me find it. However, I didn't get any response after that.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Shipped two packages on the same day from the same location to a customer. They have lost or misplaced one. I opened a case online and no response whatsoever from USPS. This is horrible, they just lose stuff and won't even respond to inquires. If this wasn't a government run business it would have been shut down a long time ago. USE ANY OTHER CARRIER!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

The carriers in Philadelphia are the most illiterate lazy mail carriers in the country! There have been way too many times where my mail has been put into the wrong mailbox in my building's mail room or the carrier (which is constantly changing every day) lies about delivering the mail on a certain day when in fact they just didn't feel like walking up a couple steps to our building's front desk to drop off a small lightweight package. What's even worse is that I live in an apartment building with 500 apartments occupied by people who HARDLY return misdelivered mail either due to their constantly going on vacation or just being dishonest (I once had an INSURANCE bill kept by another resident for 9 MONTHS due to the mail carrier putting it the wrong box).

Complaining (which I've done several times) to USPS about their carriers is a total waste of time since they do nothing or tell you that they're not responsible when in fact THEY ARE since it was THEIR OBVIOUSLY ILLITERATE MORONS who are putting the mail in WHATEVER mailbox they feel like instead of looking at addresses!! USPS needs to get a stricter policy for literacy regarding their mail carriers.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The post office has to be the worst option for shipping anymore, they are totally confused and make no sense. I purchased an item in Mass and I am in PA which normally is a 2 day trip. Take a look below. Now going on 2 weeks with none in sight.....pitiful. Keep in mind I am in Harrisburg Pa. The package was here and then nobody cared and it got sent onward? Additionally went to my local post office branch to buy 4 books of stamps and the clerk ripped me off and charged me $44 for 1 book of stamps. Crooks.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I used the shipping service from LA to Miami. I was sending some fine crystal chandeliers and vases that my grand mother gave me as a wedding present. Even do I paid for the fragile stickers my stuff arrives completely broken. It's a shame they dont care about it. They didnt gave me any solution. I suggest to you pay for a better service with a professional company instead of using USPS.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I purchased stamps at the Snow Road post office in Marshfield, MA on May 9, 2019 at 11am. The woman who waited on me when asked if she had other stamps beside American flags waved her hand at the wall displaying the choices, I asked her what was available as not all choices displayed are. This person was obviously unhappy in her job, when I commented on her rudeness she became irate and complained about me in a loud voice to her coworker. I apologized saying I was sorry I offended her. I have never received this type of attitude in any place of business that I can remember and will discontinue going there.

Original review: May 8, 2019

VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! I order a special item from China. After I waited long days for shipping .... Now has been 15 more days waiting because the USPS postal supposedly used my old address. So I call 5 times to the 1800 customer service. They got time enough to solve the problem but they wasn’t able to help me, in the last call they just told me my package is going back to China.

That’s stupid, you know I provided everything my address with every details, apt # etc... my phone number so if they have problems with the shipping they should call to the customer and make sure they receive the package but no it's more easier to send it back right? NICE. So if you are not able to deal properly with international and any other kind of packages what the hell are getting paid for? I feel very frustrated. I also lost two items 3 weeks ago because USPS send it to my previous address, also I went there several times to ask for my package. It never arrived or somebody else take it. I don’t know, and it's stupid because those items I lost, I bought it together with other two and those other two items arrived with no problem on time to my actual address. I don’t know what the hell is going on. I’m living in my actual address by 2 years now and I receive all my mail here. So USPS should change the staff, change the shipping system.

Another thing the 1800 customer service automatic system is a waste of time. It tells you a lot of things or option that probably you may not need. It's stupid, and to talk to a representative you most of the time you got it wait minimum 30 or 40 minutes. The knowledge of the representative very poor. They wasn’t able to tell where the package is located at the moment and what’s going on next so they let it go back to the sender. VERY STUPID AND VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Because I am unable to give tracking packages a negative number of stars, I have to give it a 1 star. I send out legal documents on a regular basis and at least 50% never get signatures. That's a big fat "F" when I was in school. Very frustrating. Maybe the docs get to the client but I have to call to confirm. So we're paying extra money with each package for tracking which is basically for NOTHING.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Absolute worst service ever. Never using this company for shipping ever again. The package is on its second week of being late past the delivery date. The package was expected April 22. They never followed up with the investigation case I filed and they refuse to let me speak with higher authority. I have to have this package by next week and I'm not waiting another week because they are lazy. It's a shame because I have to be on hold for an hour before they can assist me, only to tell me they will work on helping me solve this problem.

I'm beyond frustrated because my package somehow showed up in New Jersey, which is NOT anywhere near me or the sender. Please do NOT use this delivery system. Saying that they will do something about it within a certain time means that they will help me within a certain time. I just wish they would do their job and put the customer first, but because the customer can't really do anything other than fill out surveys.

Original review: April 23, 2019

My package was suppose to be delivered at 8:00 pm April 22, 2019. I have waited for a really long time for this dress. Well USPS came at 2:20 pm. Someone was at the address, but USPS did not leave my package. Instead they did not even knock on the door. The driver said no one was there to sign for the package and left that message in their system. When I tried to call customer service I got the run around voice command service for 30 mins. It took 30 mins to finally find a live person to talk to and complain. As of today I do not have my package and pray the redeliver today.

Original review: April 22, 2019

The most terrible experience ever! While applying for an Italian Visa, you've got to take a prepaid Priority Mail with your address pre-written for them to dispatch your passport with the visa in & you're handed the tracking id. We are to fly next week and it's been 2 weeks since the package has been dispatched by the consulate. We've filed a complaint with the USPS but no one has been doing anything about it. We've made multiple visits to the 10022 Post Office in NY and each time, we're asked to call the people in the sorting area who refuse to help us and say "it's not our job to do this for you". They're extremely rude.

The customer care literally hung up on us saying there's nothing they can do and that we've to wait. The PO personnel ask us to call the customer care and the customer care ask us to go and speak with PO staff. We're stuck in a loop with no one helping us. We're residing in the states on a Visa and if we lose our passports, it's going to be a huge issue. Also, now we can't go to Italy, we had done all the bookings in advance. We're losing a lot of money and patience here but USPS just won't help.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I don't ship as much now as I did when I sold on eBay but USPS remains my favorite. I usually ship small to medium sized items and I love the free boxes and the price and I never had a complaint from a customer over shipping costs or poor packaging. Twice I needed professional packing for expensive artwork and other than that my post office served me and continues to serve me so well. It makes a huge difference to me to be helped by people who have know me for years. They always find the best way for me to ship anything.

Original review: April 18, 2019

The mail to my home is coming later and later. Used to get the mail about 1 pm and then it went to 3 pm. Now some days I get my mail at 9 pm! Usually sits in my mailbox until I can get it the next morning. When is this going to improve?

USPS expert review by ConsumerAffairs

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is the official and original postal service for the United States. Ever since Benjamin Franklin was appointed as the first postmaster general in 1775, USPS has been delivering mail to people across the country. Today, USPS has expanded its services to also include international shipping, package shipping and priority mail.

• Easy to use: Anyone can send mail through USPS by using their home mailbox or dropping their mail off at any post office in the United States. Consumers and businesses can also arrange for package pickup online, making it easy to mail packages without leaving home.

• Mail options: USPS offers several mailing options so consumers can find a shipping timeframe and cost that meets their needs. Priority Express fees start at $22.95, and shipping runs seven days a week, so packages will be delivered on weekends. First class mail is available to send items weighing up to 13 ounces. Stamps cost only 47 cents, and your parcel will be delivered within one to three business days.

• Precious Cargo Box: Consumers who are sending fragile items can purchase a Priority Mail Precious Cargo Box. These boxes ship for a flat rate and include $50 worth of insurance. They include polyethylene foam dots or inserts that prevent items from moving during transport. Precious Cargo Boxes are available in three sizes.

• Shipping insurance: Consumers and businesses can purchase insurance to cover the cost of their package up to $5,000 for standard mail in the event of damage or destruction. Most priority mail shipments automatically come with $100 worth of insurance, and more can be added on for an upcharge.

• Military and diplomatic mail: Send packages to your loved one who is in the military for the price of domestic shipping, even if they are overseas. Save an additional two dollars when you use a large flat rate box. You can print off a label complete with custom forms right from your home printer and arrange for home pickup to simplify the process of sending a package to the military overseas.

• Best for: USPS is best for eCommerce businesses and consumers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs