1.64/5
Based on 44 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

136 R L Carriers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 5, 2018

I received a shipment of light fixtures that were badly damaged. They were clearly repackaged with cardboard wrapped around them and taped up. Boxes were torn opened and fixtures badly damaged. The truck driver and an electrician inspected the shipment and the driver wrote down the phone number to call for damage claims. A claim report was filled out, sent in and denied. A phone call was made, was told to send in picture of damage which I did. Despite all this I received a letter denying my claim but offering in goodwill $35.00 for restitution for damage exceeding $400.00. It seems there is nothing a person can do. I wonder how often they do this?

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 22, 2018

An order was placed for rolls of paper to be delivered to our offices for our business plotter. We have placed orders before and they have always been brought inside and dropped off in our copy room. This is the first time we have issues with our paper delivery and it was because Canon Solutions used R L Carriers for our shipment. R L Carriers had our rolls of paper just sitting around in their storage for days and when they were finally delivered, their delivery man was angry and rude, he had a terrible attitude as if he hated the job (was probably having a bad day but that was not our fault), he came in complaining that an indoor delivery had not been requested, that we had not paid for it so he was just going to leave our stuff out in the hallway.

And so he did, he just left our rolls of paper sitting on a palate out in the hallway outside of our office. We did not try to contradict him at any point in time, maybe he was right and we were at fault for not requesting an in-door delivery or whatnot, but there is no excuse for his bad attitude and behavior. We were not trying to force him to do anything or impose anything at all. He was just plain rude.

R L Carriers response

Iris, we’d like to know more in order to investigate. Please visit our R+L Cares forum at https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares where comments there are reviewed by leadership.

R L Carriers Shipping Reviews: What To Know | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 21, 2018

This company was contracted to deliver a very large grill from Dallas, TX to Los Angeles. I paid $540 for the shipping. The grill was misrouted to Atlanta, GA. It was then re-routed to Los Angeles, where it was routed back to Atlanta! They called me twice to schedule delivery and then had to call back and cancel because the grill wasn't anywhere near Los Angeles. I want at least a partial refund of my $540 but I bet I won't get it.

R L Carriers response

R+L Carriers takes great pride in the fact we listen to our valued customers to ensure our quality initiatives are met. We sincerely apologize for your recent experience and invite you to provide more detail on our RL Cares forum, specifically designed to bring issues to our leadership teams for immediate review. You can expect to receive a response from leadership there. Visit us at https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares

Original review: June 21, 2018

A company I work with used R+L to ship 3 boxes and a 300 lb crate from Indiana to Arizona (ASU campus). Nothing too unmanageable, or at least I thought. Big mistake. It took 3 weeks for the shipment to arrive, and when it gets here, the crate is busted up, and the 3 boxes are missing! I call R+L, hoping to sort things out, but that doesn't seem like it's going to pan out well: as soon as I mention the missing boxes, the customer service representative tried to convince me that all of the boxes somehow got put into the crate, despite the Bill of Lading saying otherwise.

When I ask her why they would be in the crate and listed separately on the Bill of Lading, she shifts stories, saying "well... those boxes are small" (as if they're easily lost -- red flag). She insists that I'm wrong in an awful tone, and laughs at me for expecting all of my shipment to come -- she explicitly told me "that's not our responsibility." Never once was there an apology or any attempt at sympathy. The customer service I received felt hostile and truly shocked me. If you plan to use R+L, I think you can expect the same.

Next thing I do is contact the company and confirm with them that ALL of the packages were loaded on the truck (big surprise, because that's what the Bill of Lading shows). With this info, I then get the ASU Shipping Manager to call R+L, and he gets told a different story! As if it weren't known before, the service rep now informs us that the notes attached to the shipment show that the packages got split up. Apparently, they don't know where the split-up occurred (though they're looking into it). I was never informed of any split-up, and when I called to inquire about the missing packages, I was lied to. If you plan to use R+L, I think you can expect the same.

They don't seem to keen on helping me locate the missing boxes. My guess is that they were destroyed in whatever accident busted up my crate, and that when they say they're looking for them now, they are lying to me again. I sincerely hope this isn't taken in bad faith, but it's simply based on the fact that I was already lied to about the packages being lost.

If my packages are found, then I'll amend my review. In defense of R+L I have heard good things about the PHX branch and I know ASU uses them often, so this could be the fault of a negligence on the part of a different branch or specific driver/warehouse employee. However, look up the Consumer Affairs reviews on the company, and you'll see that the level of service matches what I received -- or is much worse!! I'm sorry to leave this review, but my experience is that I paid over $1,500 to have my merchandise damaged and lost, and be lied to about it. If you plan to use R+L, I think you can expect the same. I strongly suggest you use any other company for your freighting needs.

R L Carriers response

We sincerely apologize for your recent experience and invite you to provide more detail on our RL Cares forum, specifically designed to bring issues to our leadership teams for immediate review. Visit us at https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares. If you have a concern about a claim, status is easily obtained by contacting us at 800-543-5589 x2006. Reference the claim number and they’ll be glad to assist.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: June 18, 2018

Shooters Sports Bar & Grill place an order for two fryers to be delivered on Friday, June 15, 2018. Much time and effort was spent planning for the seamless arrival of the new fryers and removal of the old fryers so that the impact to operations would be minimized. At least half of profits come from food – almost every plate served has something on it that was made in a fryer. It was planned that when the fryers arrived, they could be cleaned, connected and in use within a 2 hour window.

Friday comes and goes. No delivery. We called the Baltimore office of R & L shipping, and we are told that we will be the first delivery on Saturday, no one can tell us what happened to our scheduled Friday delivery. First delivery on Saturday is at 730 a.m. We are told that we would receive a phone call 30 minutes prior to delivery. Saturday - An employee arrives at 7:30 a.m. to wait on delivery. No phone call from delivery driver. 8:56 a.m. call was placed to R & L at 410-609-2370 – no answer. 8:57 a.m. – 9:02 a.m. Internet search for additional contact information for R & L. 9:03 a.m. call was placed to 1-800-543-5589. Customer service informed us that our delivery window was 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. 12:00 p.m. – No call. No delivery. Business open for the day. Our weekend hours are 12:00 p.m.-2:00 a.m.

12:05 p.m. Call was placed to 1-800-543-5589. Customer service reached out to delivery driver who said that he was at Shooters Sports Bar & Grill between 7:30-7:45 a.m. and no one was there. After reviewing video – employee was there at exactly 7:30 a.m. Left the hatch back of her car open so that it would be obvious that someone was there. Driver is in Virginia. Can’t possibly deliver before 3:00 p.m. 3:24 p.m. No call. No delivery. (All the while refusing business because we don’t have fryers.) 3:24 p.m. call was placed to 1-800-543-5589. Customer service reached out to driver once again. He is about 30 minutes away, stuck in traffic.

4:23 p.m. FINALLY! DELIVERY of FRYERS! Driver questioned about his whereabouts between 7:30 and 7:45 a.m. since we had an employee on site – he claims he was there. Driver speaking with another Shooters employee said that maybe he was earlier than 7:30 a.m. What happened to our Friday delivery? What happened to the phone call we were promised? Why should we incur additional costs of having an employee arrive 4 hours earlier than normal to wait on delivery and the cost of lost business?

R L Carriers response

R+L Carriers takes great pride in the fact we listen to our customers to ensure quality initiatives are met. We sincerely apologize for your recent experience and invite you to provide more detail on our RL Cares forum, designed to bring issues to our leadership teams for immediate review. So we can investigate we’ll need a little more information about your shipment, such as your pro number. Please visit us at https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares to continue the conversation. Thank you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about R+L Carriers?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I had the worse experience ever from this company. I ordered stuff from Costco and when the item arrived I told the delivery man if I can refuse the item because it is not what I expected and the dispatcher said I can’t refused the item and I had to sign to accept it and when I called Costco they said it is not true I can always refuse the delivery. So I request the return and R L suppose to come to pick up the item and they never show up on the schedule date. I called them again and they told me they will come on Tuesday and they never show up again. I wasted two days waiting for them.

I spoke with dispatcher and her name is Teresa and she was so so rude. She told me she can’t give me the timeframe for pick up and just leave the item outside my house. I was instruct to have R L to sign the paperwork before they pick up the items. She said, "Just change the company if you are not happy with it." The lady name’s Teresa in Manchester, NH kept saying that they are behind schedule for four days and I said I don’t mind waiting but I need to know when they are going to pick up and I don’t want them to not show up to their appointment. I hope I can change the carrier. I already contacted Costco if they can change pick up service from R L. Very very rude and poor customer service. They lied to me about not able to refuse the order and they lied about the pickup date. Very dishonest people. Stay away from this carrier!!!

R L Carriers response

R+L Carriers prides itself in delivering the best freight transportation service and customer support in the industry. This is reflected in our “We Care” forum located at https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares that enables open communication for our customers on an experience they had with our company. This communication device is visible to the highest levels of management and demands response within 24hrs with resolution. We look forward to your comments there.

Original review: June 12, 2018

R L were to deliver an AC condenser and air handler on Monday. Monday morning they said they would deliver the pallet between 10-2. At 2 I called ( on hold for 15 min) they said delivery would be made by 4:15. Got a call at 3:30 saying the driver would not be able to drive down my street because his truck was too big, but call and we could meet somewhere to close to transfer (I have receive many deliveries off of tractor trailers in the past). Called his number to arrange delivery but no answer. Called R L and they said they would reschedule for following day on a smaller truck. One completely wasted day! Tuesday, call in the morning to confirm delivery. No exact time could given but assured it would be delivered in the morning.

At noon called (20 minutes on hold) and was told delivery would be between 1-2:30. At 2:30 a dispatcher calls and says "on his way". Truck shows up at 3:15. Upon inspection the pallet had been smashed into by forklift and unacceptable due to damage done in shipping. BTW, the driver was asking I sign for the delivery before I had a chance to inspect it. 2nd wasted days due to their incompetence AND no delivery of products ordered. Called the vendor and am trying to get a new shipment. R L are a major waste of time. Given any choice in the future I will refuse to use their service. Worst experience ever!

R L Carriers response

R+L Carriers takes great pride in the fact we listen to our valued customers to ensure our quality initiatives are met. We sincerely apologize for your recent experience and invite you to provide more detail on our R+L Cares forum, specifically designed to bring issues to our leadership teams for immediate review. Visit us at https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares to submit your comments.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I'm surprised there have been so many negative reviews on this site. My company does about 350 LTL shipments with R&L each month and have over 99% on time deliveries & less than 1% claims. Customer service is excellent and usually does what they can to help. The industry as a whole is having issues and will continue to have more issues over the next year. Maybe it is different for us as we are a big customer, but I've found with working with 15 different carriers over 10 years that your rep. makes all the difference. R&L goes above and beyond constantly. Most of the issues I've seen on previous reviews are issues that every carrier has and will continue to have. People need to understand that they aren't the only person shipping or receiving products. Thanks R&L and especially the Romulus terminal.

R L Carriers response

Thank you for your continued business and for this positive review. We appreciate it!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I was waiting for a delivery. It was to be delivered on the 4th of June. Did not arrive. Then I called R L. They told me it would be delivered by 5 P.M. On the 5th, Did not show. I called on the 6th and they said it was a estimated time. Then they said it would be there by early afternoon. It did not show up till 3 pm on the 6th. There is no customer service as far as I see it. I will never use or recommend them to anyone.

R L Carriers response

R+L Carriers prides itself in delivering the best Transportation Services and Customer Support in the industry. This is reflected in our “We Care” forum located on our website https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares that enables open communication on concerns or to reflect on an experience with our company. This communication device is visible to the highest levels of management and demands response within 24hrs with resolution. We look forward to your comments there to provide assistance.

Original review: May 31, 2018

My experience with R L Carriers: Let just start off by saying it was not a pleasant shipping experience. To getting lied to every day for an entire week about when my stove would be arriving. To paying way too much money to ensuring my order would be here no later than 4 days after I ordered it, ordered it on 5/16. Got a call from the place I ordered it, that it was on the truck and has left their building on the 16th. I was supposed to get my order by 5/22 and it arrived 5/30! They failed in every aspected, then they used another trucking company Magnum trucking and my order sat there for a couple days because they didn't have any way to load it. I will never use this company again. If you do use this company you no longer do business with me. Oh yeah, thanks for the $40 credit, that makes up the $2500 we lost.

R L Carriers response

R+L Carriers prides itself in delivering the best Transportation Services and Customer Support in the industry. This is reflected in our “We Care” forum located on our website https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares that enables open communication on concerns or to reflect on an experience with our company. This communication device is visible to the highest levels of management and demands response within 24hrs with resolution. We look forward to your comments there.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I ordered a pool, they lost my freight (a 300 lbs pallet!!!), Serena (customer service) whom I was on the phone with for probably three days. Said that the truck got to their depot without my package on it (maybe it was another girl-don't remember). Serena was super nice with me and straightforward. But that doesn't change the fact that the R&L driver should join the unemployment line since he does not deserve to be a truck driver.

My husband is a truck driver (local), so I know EXACTLY how it SUPPOSE to work. If he had to take the pallet out to rearrange the load to fit other merchandise on the hub, or shift certain skids to the nose to be able to save time when unloading priority items, then he should have double checked his load to make sure he had everything he needed.

Why didn't he double check everything? Maybe... On the phone texting when nobody is looking (that is what my husband says they do at his work -on the dock- that's why they don't get much done. But supervisors don't have the ** to tell them Guys that. And the union protects these losers (how ironic)). Thinking of what he wanted to do on his long weekend. Don't give a crap. Too lazy (it's so hot I don't want to do anything today).

R L Carriers response

We have a delivery performance with a claims ratio that remains well under 1% which continues to be second to none in the industry. These are major factors in a successful transportation provider, but more importantly peace of mind for our customers. If you have a concern about a claim, status is easily obtained by contacting us at 800-543-5589 x2006. Reference the claim number and they’ll be glad to assist.

Original review: May 23, 2018

A third party hired R+L to pick an item up from our facility and ship it. R+L is now saying that because we allowed them to pick the shipment up, that we are somehow responsible from the shipping bill and are threatening to turn us over to collections. This is akin to me buying something from Walmart and then demanding that they pay my bus fare home. These guys are frauds. They prey on small businesses. Avoid them at all costs. Do not ship through them or let them pick up shipments from you.

R L Carriers response

Mike, in order to provide assistance please contact our corporate customer service office directly at 800-535-1984.

Original review: May 23, 2018

My company disagreed an additional charge of $25 for no justified reason. $25 is very small amount, should be easily taken care but it's not. Report to account manager Zane **, asked to file an overcharge claim. File an overcharge claim and receive a decline two months later. Call the overcharge claim department for a justified reason, no justified reason given me and send me back to account manager Zane ** telling me only the account manager has the authority to waive it.

Call Zane ** for right treatment more for $25 at the time I have wasted is worth more than $25. Guess what he didn't even apologize for me being kicked around. And I asked anything he would like to say, the answer was no. And guess what, a couple of days later I found my business account was closed down, means you can't ship anymore with R&L. Soooo shocked!!! Never ran into a sales or business like it. It's so disappointing and stupid for such a big company simply close down all the future profit possibilities for a small amount $25 with a company who has shipped with R&L over a year.

R L Carriers response

R+L Carriers is always interested in continuous improvement opportunities and would like to provide assistance in this matter. Please contact our corporate customer service line directly at 800-535-1984 and we’ll do our best to help. Thank you.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I received quote ** to move 558lb from zip code 11793 to 17356. Commercial service on both ends with no accessorial charges. I was invoiced 3.5X times what I was quoted because R L Carriers said they must have had an error in the quoting system. I politely requested that they change the bill to match the quote. After a few weeks of not hearing anything, I contacted R L to see what was going on. I received a threatening email from Jessica ** who is "Team Lead Credit & Collections Dept" advising me if I do not pay immediately they will submit to outside collections and contact my customer from the BOL to collect against them.

I tried to call to further discuss but they were incapable of entertaining this and reiterated that they will not honor their quotation. I requested that my accounts be closed and I highly suggest others consider using a carrier that stands behind their quotations. R L Carriers did not show an ounce of integrity with this transaction and my company will no longer do business with them for that reason alone. The family that owns this company should be very disappointed... Maybe R L management can look further into this one. I have provided adequate information to identify the shipment and have uploaded the freight bill to Consumer Affairs.

Updated on 05/25/2018: While publicly it may appear that R L has attempted to resolve this issue it should be known that I have complied with their public request for me to complete their online complaint form. R L Carriers has not made any attempt to email, call, nor even reply to private messages through Consumer Affairs. They also have made no attempt to reply to me through the Consumer Reviews messaging system. This company simply does not care enough about their customers. Please consider using a different shipping carrier.

Jason,

R+L Carriers prides itself in delivering the best Transportation Services and Customer Support in the industry. This is reflected in our “We Care” forum located on our website https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares that enables open communication on concerns or to reflect on an experience with our company. This communication device is visible to the highest levels of management and demands response back within 24hrs with resolution. We look forward to hearing your comments there.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I purchased an engine and transmission from eBay and the seller sent it via R+L. I did some research on the carrier and found several negative reviews and began to grow worried. However, my fears were unfounded. The shipment made it from NJ to a terminal in MI in two days. I was notified of its arrival via text message and instructed to call to arrange delivery. I called and made an appointment for residential delivery, which was quick and painless. On the day of delivery, I received a text message from the driver prior to arrival, notifying me he'd be there in 20-30 minutes (it ended up being just under 30 minutes). When he arrived, he was very courteous and moved my shipment to the top of my driveway with a pallet jack (he would have put it in the garage, but I didn't have enough room to maneuver the pallet it was on). I'd highly recommend R L Carriers and will be looking for them as an option next time I need something big and heavy delivered.

Ted,

Thank you for your post and for using R+L Carriers for your freight shipping needs. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Original review: April 30, 2018

Was called by this shipper and told that I had a delivery scheduled for Friday. Told them I was not available on Friday or Saturday and they told me they could deliver on Monday. Shipper still showed up on Friday with my order. When I called on Monday to determine the status of my delivery they said they had no delivery scheduled for that day. No call, nothing. Just came on the wrong day with no follow up. I wish the companies I buy from would quit using this carrier.

Michael,

R+L Carriers is always interested in continuous improvement opportunities. Please contact us directly on this matter at 800-535-1984 or email our Customer Service department at cservice@rlcarriers.com and we’ll do our best to help. You can also express concerns at our “We Care” forum located at https://www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares . This communication device is visible to the highest levels of management within the organization and demands response within 24hrs with resolution.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Be very careful of this outfit. They no showed for the first delivery attempt by coming at the wrong time. When they showed up for the second attempt the delivery charge mysteriously increased. Will not use them again.

Dan,

R+L Carriers is always interested in continuous improvement opportunities. Please contact us directly on this matter at 800-535-1984 or email our Customer Service department at cservice@rlcarriers.com and we’ll do our best to help. We’d be happy to take your call.

Original review: April 24, 2018

We have been in business for 25 years with the same wiring hanging from our building, receiving frequent deliveries, until two weeks ago when a stupid driver from R L pulled them down while driving out. The wires in turn pulled the siding and gutters off the historic home and they in turn destroyed the fence around our trash cans. The resulting damage was $2700 to our building. We supplied all the necessary documentation, including a picture of the truck caught in the wires (whose driver was trying fervently to leave the scene of the idiotic accident, only he was entrapped in wire!) and they had the nerve to deny the claim, stating our wires were too low. Why did no other of the thousands of deliveries pull the wires down? The height has not changed? They just didn't want to pay. Plain and simple. Idiots and thieves.

R L Carriers response

Lisa, we have completed a thorough investigation of this matter and have addressed your concerns in our letter to you dated April 19. If you would like to discuss this matter further please call our Corporate Office at 800-543-5589 x 1401. We would certainly welcome your call.

Original review: April 15, 2018

R L Carriers was one of the LTL carriers that we had used to a regular basis. Their freight service is average. No better than rest of the industry. The customer service, and accounting is much worse. Now the saga of the bad shipment. The shipment on PRO ** was quoted for $139. As they were unable to make the pickup on Friday 9/8/17, we had the shipment of one pallet taken to their local terminal in Wallingford CT. The bill of lading stated that delivery was to be made on 9/13/17. This is because the consignee will charge hefty fees for delivery not made according to a rigid schedule. R L Carriers made the delivery one day early on 9/12/17. Thank you for the "great" service. We got charged a rather substantial penalty for this. They had made changes to the bill of lading and changed the name of the consignee. This caused substantial other problems in finding the freight at the receiving facility.

The freight bill for $139 was paid the next day after the delivery by a debit of our bank account. After the freight was delivered and the freight bill paid, RL Carrier repriced the original $139 shipment to $1,882.87. They then debited our bank account for the additional amount. This amount was so far out of the range of the regular freight bills that the account was overdrawn. Our bank paid RL Carriers and just charged us the overdraft fees.

In making inquiries as to what happened I have been completely stonewalled by RL Carriers. I have phoned and spoken to a few people there. Customer Service, Customer Care, Inside Sales, Outside Sales, Billing, Accounts Receivable, Rates. I have email in following up as to why this was done. Every person I had contacted was unable to tell me how this happened. All I got was the "I will look into this for you" response. No one has gotten back to me. I have asked for the refund of the additional $1,743.52 charges taken from our bank account. This had been denied by them. I have asked for the $1,743.52 to be credited to our account to be applied to other freight bills. I was told, "We will look into this for you."

Why such substantial change to the bill of lading were applied without our knowledge or consent is the answer I need. They had no authorization to make such a substantial change to the shipment that the charges increased 13 times. Had we been told and asked for authorization to make such a change, it would had been denied. Other arrangement for the freight would have been made.

They have not applied the overpayment to pay the outstanding bills we do have. I have not paid them any additional cash until this overpayment is resolved. Now R L Carriers is proceeding with sue for 10 times the amount of the invoices that they refuse to apply the money that they already have. Thank you RL Carriers, You have our $1,743.52 and now you want an additional $20,000.00. When asked recently by the RL Carriers salespeople, why are you not shipping with us. What can I say. The current action by RL Carrier will bankrupt the company. There will be nothing to ship.

R L Carriers response

R+L Carriers is always interested in continuous improvement opportunities. Please contact us directly on this matter at 800-535-1984 and we’ll do our best to help. Thank you.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I recently bought an engine for my Caddy, shipping weight just under 500 lbs, the shipper picked the freight carrier, I checked R L Carriers reviews and kind of expected the worst based upon the current reviews. My experience was just the opposite from what was posted, they were prompt and right on top of things. They emailed me with the general delivery info and followed up with a phone call, narrowing the delivery window to 6 hours and requested that I call them for a more exact time the morning of the delivery date. I did as requested and was given a 2 hour window which was accurate. The contract was for curbside delivery by tractor trailer/lift gate. The driver offered to back it up my driveway and drop it there out of the way. Great experience by all involved.

I'm guessing most reviews are left by those who have not had such a great experience and are angry enough to take the time to complain. Most of us take the good for granted and don't bother to give thanks for good service. Thanks Guys, this is actually my second delivery by R L Carriers, the first was a heavy massage chair and the delivery went just as nice. Don't be shy to use these guys, reviews are subjective to many things.

R L Carriers response

Thank you Rick, we appreciate your comments.

Original review: March 23, 2018

R L Carriers is the most unreliable, dishonest and rude delivery company I have ever had to deal with. They rescheduled my delivery 4 time and never called me. I had to call them when the delivery did not happen to find out they rescheduled. They were rude on the phone every time and could care less about me or my delivery. R L stands for REAL LOUSY.

Matthew,

R+L Carriers takes great pride in the fact we listen to our valued customers to ensure our quality initiatives are met. We sincerely apologize for your recent experience and invite you to provide more detail on our RL Cares forum, specifically designed to bring issues to our leadership teams for immediate review. Visit us at www2.rlcarriers.com/contact/rl-cares to contact us.

Original review: March 20, 2018

I had read many bad reviews about R & L Carriers... but my experience was first-class. These people delivered my item (aircraft part) exactly one day after being picked up from about 300 miles away. The tracking information was spot on... and the driver even assisted with the transfer of my item. I did have a good experience and was very thankful for their service and very fair price.

R L Carriers response

Thank you Don, we appreciate your comments.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Never showed and cost me time and money. I was called to schedule and to receive a shipment between 11am-3pm on a Saturday. I called to confirm at 9am and was told, "You are the first delivery, they should be there before noon." Multiple phone calls later after 3pm and different answers each time. Can't contact the driver, it is still in the warehouse, delivery was refused, (not by me). The last suggestion was to call back on Monday. Now 7pm and nothing. For some strange reason they have 2 tracking numbers and could not tell me why, as they were supposed to arrive on the same date. I am contacting the company I made the purchase from to let them know how horrible this shipper is.

R L Carriers response

We hope you were able to resolve this with the shipper. If not, please contact our corporate customer service at 800-535-1984.

Original review: March 16, 2018

We were quoted an amount to ship items from Canada to Hawaii. All of the information we supplied was accurate and I have extensive documentation proving so including weight and inspection tickets. After delivery, they billed us for an additional $9k+. When I questioned this, they had no real answer. They first said that the freight wasn't palletized and that was the reason for the increase. When I pointed out that I told them before it wasn't palletized they then said that I didn't give them the correct information. I sent them extensive documentation proving that I did give the correct information. They then said that they would reduce it to where I only had to pay an additional $4k+ because they quoted it wrong and I should have known from the beginning that they had quoted it wrong. None of what I just said is hearsay and I have extensive documentation to prove everything above.

R L Carriers response

Jonathan, we’re going to need additional information from you in order to offer assistance. Please contact us directly at 800-535-1984 with your pro number handy.

Original review: March 15, 2018

The dispatcher called me on Monday to schedule delivery for a shelving kit for my new van, I called back 2 minutes later and was on hold for 10 minutes so I hung up and called back, she answered the phone this time and said hello, I said, "Is this R&L trucking?" She said, "Yeah what do you want?" I knew right from that moment that I am going to have problems with this place, so we scheduled delivery for Wednesday between 11:00 and 4:00, So I take the day off work and I spend 2 hours in the morning to empty all tools from the van and get ready for the new shelving, I decided to call them around 2:00pm to check on delivery and the idiot on the phone tells me that it doesn't look like it has shipped out and we don't know where it is.

I said, "Why has no one called me to tell me this?" He said, "I don't know," he then tries to blame it on the shipper and says they didn't ship all the boxes which was total BS because the Bill Of Lading states that they picked up 9 boxes from the shipper, I told him this and he said well maybe the driver forgot to pick up all the boxes, he called me back ten minutes later and informed me that they have no idea where my stuff is, they are liars and the most incompetent shipping company I have ever had the bad luck to deal with. I contacted the retailer where I purchased the kit and they told me I had to file a lost claim and request a replacement order, which will take 48 hours to complete and it will take another week after that until it is shipped out again.

I told them that if they use R&L trucking again as the delivery company I will refuse any and all deliveries from this place, I will make sure in the future that I never order anything that will be delivered by this incompetent shipper, the sad thing is that his attitude on the phone was as if he is used to this and they don't care at all, I lost a full day wages and now I am heading back out to spend another 2 hours putting all my tools back in the van and will have to do it all over again, you have been warned, stay away for this place!

Robert,

Original review: March 13, 2018

Probably the most incompetent and ignorant people I have ever dealt with. The management have no clue what is going on and told me they were unaware of where my package was located. My delivery date got changed six separate times and I was told the reasoning behind it was that the computer generates the date. After locating my package finally, I was told they don’t know why the package ended up at that facility and they will let me know when it will ship out. Finally after getting nowhere with speaking to management, I drove two hours to go pick the package up myself. Avoid using this company or any vendor that uses this company for shipping! They do not care or understand that people count on and change their plans based on shipping and tracking information for important items that they need either personally or for a job.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I ordered a steel security safe weighing 700 lbs from a 3rd party. R&L Carriers was the shipper. They gave us a time window for delivery of 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and they won't deliver to your door - only to curbside. Our curbside is 50 yards from the front door. So they would be leaving it in the middle of the street for us? We have had items delivered by them before and they are usually late if they even show up at all on the scheduled day. We decided to pick the item up 2 days after our expected delivery date at the Houston terminal. We arrived on the day we were scheduled to pick up the item and it wasn't even unloaded out of their truck yet. How could they deliver it 2 days prior I wonder if it wasn't even out of their truck? and I don't mean just sitting inside the truck-it was buried. Took the operator 20 minutes to unload other items to get ours out.

When he brought it down to us you could tell it had damage even before we took off the wrapping and packing. The pallet it was attached to was all smashed up and splintered, the box over it had big gashes in it, the plastic under the box was torn to shreds on the bottom. So we took pictures of the scratches and dents all over the FRONT of the safe - of course none of the damage could be to the back of the safe where no-one would see it. So we took pictures and the forklift operator took pictures and said he would report the damages to their front office. To back up a little - R&L makes you sign a release form before you enter their loading dock area. It states the items are received in good condition. This in itself is a scam but they won't let you into their loading dock area until you sign it. They don't tell you if there are damages to come back after you pick up your item or I suppose you are not supposed to take delivery? This was never mentioned.

Since their employee said he would report the damages and give the front office the pictures he took, we took his word for it. BIG MISTAKE! I filed a claim just a few days after getting the safe home. Now they are denying it saying I signed the paper saying it was received in good order. DO NOT USE R&L CARRIERS would be my advice to you. This is not the first time they have done this to us. 2 times we have received goods shipped to us using their services - both times the times were significantly damaged. I absolutely DO NOT recommend them and would not use them if I had a choice.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

So I recently ordered a pellet grill from an online retailer, and looked up the carrier once I was notified that it had shipped. After reading numerous reviews, I started to get really nervous about whether my new grill would arrive intact, or in pieces. I ended up getting a phone call that it was going to be delivered days sooner than expected, and just happened to be coming on the day that I would be at my wife's grandmothers funeral. My aunt was going to be watching our twins, and could not lug a grill from the curb to the garage by herself.

The window we got was from 9 AM to 1 PM that day, we waited until 1030 before we had to leave. On our way down there, I got a text from my aunt stating that the delivery guy was very nice, put the pellet in my garage, and that it was in pristine condition. So, my guess on why there are so many bad reviews, and not very many good ones, is that the happy people just move on with life without saying something nice about their experience. In my case, they far surpassed my expectations, and I would use them again.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

We ordered two 2 thousand pound pallets of salt. R & L's driver didn't feel confident enough to back into the parking lot by our door so dropped it a half a block away. Didn't have an electric pallet jack with him so me and my employee and the driver had to push/pull each pallet uphill to get it delivered. The second pallet broke while the drive was having an asthma attack so my employee and I had to unpack the pallet, load it into our delivery van to drive it the rest of the way and then unload it again. When we complained, they said too bad for us and still charged us the $235 for the delivery. Don't EVER use this company. They are awful!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

December 21 I spend $7000 USD on a new Sled Deck built in Edmonton Alberta. They ship it and the item leaves packaged and ready for cross border delivery in Dallas, Texas. I receive a call January 2 to confirm delivery to my home as I paid for drop service which is basically truck lift gate and deliver to my driveway flat concrete. January 5th is agreed upon 10am-2pm window and I take the day off and wait patiently ready for my weekend assembly project. January 5 at 4:00 pm I start calling and unable to contact anyone from R&L Carrier that could tell me where the delivery was without a delivery number (which I don't have it has not been delivered) but one lady felt sorry for me finally and looked me up in their computer system using my address and name, wow that was not an option on the first 4 people. She tracks down the driver and tells me he will not be delivering as there is an issue with the pallet (Flag #1).

We reschedule for the next Friday and once again I take the day off. Delivery for 8-12 time frame. Well 12:30 comes along another day off work and patiently waiting, I call and after several people Jesse at extension 1101 informs me the driver did not take the shipment that morning as the item is too large and heavy plus it is just pipes and stuff. (Flag #2) I ask them what they are going to do as I paid for delivery?? She informs me that it is my problem and fault they are unable to handle this item (inside voice wtf) so I ask why would they accept the item (from Canada) and haul it to Dallas if they are unable to actually deliver it as agreed upon? Dumb question. She reinforced that I failed to let them know (inside voice ** you say what).

She lets me know that I need to handle the offload, well I am less than impressed but the fact is we were never going to agree on this and I still wanted my $7000 shipment, so I tell them no problem the pallet is actually a stack of individual boxed aluminum items so the driver and I can unload by hand. Bring it on. She sets me up for Monday MLK day delivery, again a day off work but first thing delivery so I am golden, nope wrong. Inside voice is talking to the wall now!

I waited until 10 am and called extension 1101 and once again Jesse lets me know that she called me last Friday and told me that they are not delivering Monday unless I have help to unload (I already confirmed that when we scheduled the 3rd time wtf??) But it gets even worse. She thought she called me and after 15 minutes of heck, "No you did not." She said "ohhh I forgot we are busy." Therefore the driver was not bringing the shipment and they are not sure when they have time as they are hurt handed. I am lost can't even be mad I am working with a person that is struggling just to inhale oxygen and maintain life. So I call the original shipper and they start their work and within 2 hours are also at the point of this $7000 package is at R&L's warehouse and the $300 door delivery service already paid for is 50 miles down the road from me LOL, (Can't be mad any longer remember).

So let's face it. The I Can't Club has won and I get in my truck and drive 50 miles to their warehouse in South West Dallas, it is huge 100's of truck bays. I pull up to the security gate. Nice young lady (must be contract no way is she an R&L employee) directs me to the check in point and I meet Steve in the office, I sign in. They take copy of my driver's license, make me sign a release of liability being I am on the property. (Inside voice thinks this is so I don't hunt Jesse down and well you know oxygen is seriously being abused here).

They tell me to go to door #97 and wait they will bring out my shipment of pipes (flag, flag, flag) and I do. I wait, and wait and wait then suddenly here comes a forklift dragging a pile of lumber, boxes, shrink wrap and aluminum. The pallet is now 4 pallets as the original is broke in half and 2 more were added, the top aluminum ramp is now buried in the pile with actual material peeled off all down the side. Heck there is even paper tag on the shipment that says "refused shipment." I do agree but I wonder who and when was it received as I am in week 3+ now and first time get to see it. I refuse to load and go back to the office as I am concerned that R&L must have missing truck and driver as this had to have been in a major accident or maybe they lost the trailer at 90 mph somewhere!

I leave the warehouse, call the original shipper and ask for next steps as I don't even know where to begin to ask for parts missing, damaged etc. They are now trying to reship but I had to call R&L and let them know it is refused, yup extension 1101 again and now she gives me hell as she did not know I came there and I apparently failed to let her know, OMG! I now am waiting on the shipper as they have 2 options give me my money back or replace but if you replace you cannot resend it to R&L, they do not deliver to your driveway!!!

R+L Carriers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

R+L Carriers is a global shipping company with a focus on customer service. Their shipping services include rail service, air transport, ocean transport and truckload service.

• Weekend express service: R+L Carriers has an expedited service dedicated to shipping cargo between Friday and Sunday efficiently. Submit a form online to get a Weekend express quote.

• Guaranteed AM freight delivery: Many businesses can’t waste a whole day waiting around for a shipment. If you manufacturing or supply chain needs a delivery in the morning, opt for R+L Carrier’s guaranteed AM freight delivery option on your pickup request and BOL. This guarantees you will receive your shipment before noon or you’ll get your money back.

• My RLC: Sign up for an account with R+L Carriers to gain access to Document Retrieval. Here, you can access all available delivery receipts, bills of lading, weight certificates, invoices and NMFC classification. You will also receive access to helpful shipping tools, including transit time calculator, shipping maps and more.

• Trade show logistics: Use R+L Carriers for your next trade show to streamline the shipping process so you can focus on your business. R+L Carriers trade show experts will make sure your materials make it to and from the trade show on time and in tact. They offer white glove service and debris removal and are always prepared for the unexpected.

• Domestic and international shipping: R+L Carriers ships both domestically and internationally, making it a great option for businesses who frequently ship both abroad and within the United States.

• Best for: R+L Carriers is best for businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs