R L Carriers

Compare Shipping Companies

Research top Shipping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have worked a delivery truck and know how difficult some of us consumers can be. It is a very long story I won't go through again, Once was more than enough! I have read some other reviews of the driver refusing to take of the product without a lift charge because I did not have a ramp to deliver to. Then he said besides that it would be another $100 to deliver it to my front door which I did not ask or wanted him do. I bought from musician’s friend which is Guitar Center under a different name. I called M.F. and they were indifferent.

Bottom line the driver left as I would not pay. His story changed on who was charging the extra fees. He told me it was Guitar Center. All I wanted was to have my keyboard dropped off the truck but all he wanted to do was scam me. He came back after I called the company who was smart enough to know I was in the business and could not be given the business. They sent the driver back. In my opinion no company who cares about their customers should deal with them. Be careful if they call.

I had a 300lb freight item shipped to me from a manufacturer. R L called to set up delivery and asked if they could use a 48ft tractor trailer. I told them I'm located in a rural area and my access would only accommodate a "Straight truck (aka: bobtail truck). The delivery was then set up. The day of the delivery those ** at R L sent a 48ft tractor trailer. To make matters worse the driver wanted to drop the delivery at the street!!! Who are these idiots employed with... 3-stooges rip off and deliver service?? R L are a bunch of incompetent, lazy, rip off artists. A complaint to the AZ DOT and USS will be forthcoming for misrepresentation of delivery and fraud.

On 8/9/17 R&L Carriers was delivering a shower door and while positioning the truck to unload backed into a tree in front of our neighbor's house, then proceeded to say it was the neighbor's fault because the limbs were too low. The tree has been there for more than 10 years without an incident until now. The driver never apologized and then was going to leave the limbs blocking the neighbor's driveway and in the street even when informed they were at the hospital and were disabled.

Next he informed us that if he used the lift gate on the truck it would be an additional $75 for the delivery. When I called and complained I was transferred multiple times and then sent a claims form to complete which includes me getting two estimates to remove the tree limbs and repair the tree before they would consider doing anything about it. Even though the driver had an empty truck he refused to dispose of the limbs. Worst customer service experience I have ever had.

We have had a delivery of a compressor for our busy shop canceled two days in a row and customer service in Reno/Sparks is the worst I have ever seen. The first lady said "Oh well you are ** out of luck, maybe next week sometime." I asked for a manager and got the same treatment. We planned a special installer to come in 3 days after the first scheduled delivery date and customer service at the Reno/Sparks hub said they could care less. Disappointed that poor customer service is the way things are done these days.

I paid 350.00 on a order from Floor & Decor for some tile. Big big mistake. I have got better things to do than sit around waiting for trucking companies that don't show up. They called on Friday and said they would be here Monday. No show. I called and complained and they said they would be here Tues between 1-3. Again no show. Will see when and if they show up. I wouldn't buy anything from anyone who uses this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about R+L Carriers?

Failed delivery, scrambled responses, confused managers, lost shipment. Obfuscation everywhere. Dispute with VISA for $4200 generator necessary. R & L may find this shipment and it may be delivered but it might take days or months. It's 10 days late now. Generator is desperately needed on off-grid homestead. Funds tied up for the duration. With multiple entities we're being "baffled-with-bull", scammers are at work, or they are just incompetent. Filed complaint case with Honda International.

Sitting here sweating my ass off waiting for my air conditioning unit to show up for the 3rd day of 100+ degree heat. I highly recommend not using this service - they've made numerous excuses and promises to deliver my air conditioning unit but have failed to do so. They should not be in business delivering critical items. I'm starting to think I'd have had faster service from China, and now they're telling me they can't even find the item that's showing "Out for delivery" on their website (again - 3rd straight day it's marked as "Out for delivery - on time") - dishonest crooks.

I've had 20000 in freight damages with this Company over the last year. About to put me out of business. Won't take no responsibility for Crushing dropping stabbing with forks. Drivers tell all different policies to favor The company. Be aware. Don't ship anything Of value. Not worth the chance and stress.

For the last 3 years I've regularly purchased a large item from Office Depot, delivered via freight. Evidently Office Depot recently switched their freight carrier to R&L... a very bad business decision that Office Depot will probably lose my business over. They may be saving a few bucks using R&L, who are far inferior to the 2 prior freight companies who were professional & had competent employees!

My delivery was scheduled to arrive between 10:00-2:00 on a day I was going out of town on vacation. When 2:00 rolled around and it still hadn't been delivered, I called and spoke to the person I already had 2 conversations with. I was advised it had been delivered at 11:00. Long story short, my street has a north & south... they delivered to the wrong address. If they had followed my instructions to deliver off the pallet (2 prior freight companies did without issue) I could have loaded it in my vehicle.

When I called and talked with the same person for the 4th time, (who I instructed to deliver off pallet) she copped an attitude with me because it was only 60+ lbs and a certain distance to retrieve! I told her because my CLEAR instructions were not followed, they would have to send the driver back out to pick it up from the wrong address and deliver to the correct address, and again take off the pallet. I had to leave a note on the delivery at the wrong address because the people weren't home, and luckily I left my phone number. I received a call from them around 8:00 PM that it was still sitting in their driveway at the wrong address... they opened the BOL and called R&L, who told them that they "forgot". I'm furious with this company! They only care about dropping freight, have zero customer service and incompetent employees.

After reading many of these reviews, I was very nervous about my shipment arriving in one piece or even at all. However I am very glad to report that I had zero issues with R&L. They delivered my package when they said they would. I received a call from the driver about 45 minutes before he arrived. He even unloaded my packages right into my truck, 4 separate parts weighing 115 lbs a piece. I was very satisfied and have absolutely nothing to complain about from this company. I should mention that I live in South Georgia. I guess the individual truck drivers make all the difference. If you are like me and worried about your packages, based on my experience I would say you have nothing to worry about.

Our Company will never use R L Carriers again. The service and the drivers are subpar and I am tired of bad service. This has occurred several times. The last call was ** where we called in the morning of the 27th of June and specifically requested delivery after 4PM and was told the driver would receive that message because this company will not go down our commercial driveway and we need to pull a technician off a job to assist their driver. The driver called at 245 and said he was on the way. I told Frank that we don't have anyone there until 4PM and he said he had to be somewhere else at 4 and said he would call the office and call back. He never did and at 4PM I called the 800 number and after looking it up they told me he was now going to come between 5 and 6. After I took one of my techs off a job to come and sit in the driveway for nothing. We will never use this company again.

Got my shipment for a pool heater today (roughly 200LB item) and the driver refused to bring it closer to my garage because it was against company policy so he dropped it off at curbside (sidewalk). He got very defensive and rude when I asked him if he can bring it closer, from there, everything went downhill. I had to find ways to push this heater into my garage from the sidewalk. This was my first time using RL Carriers and so I tried asking him questions about what I can/can't do. He tried to answer but was very rude and short temper; in a very condescending way, which was not helpful at all.

I asked him if I can examine the item for damages. He said I can't open the box unless I signed for it, I said that's not what the company I bought from told me but fine, I'll examine the exterior. Even that, I was rushed. I called his manager (Tony **) and file a formal complaint against him. Tony didn't mentioned about the examination problem but Tony advised me that Steve should have been able to get the item closer to my garage because from what he can see (Google map) there's a lot of room for him to push the dolly up. At the end, I was able to borrow equipment from my neighbor and was able to get his help, without him, the heater would still be sitting on the sidewalk. This is the worst delivery experience ever; mostly thank you Steven **.

The delivery driver was rude, refused to deliver items inside because he said it wasn't possible. Had pallets like that delivered before and they got them inside no problem. Clearly just didn't feel like putting in any physical effort. Worst experience ever. He left the items outside in the rain with nothing to cover them in a downtown highly populated area.

Most of you who know me know that I complain little on Facebook, but today, I'm compelled to let everyone know of the way I've been treated by a company and to warn others to beware. I've been a happy customer for many years, nearly 20 in fact. R+L Carriers is a great company to do business with UNTIL there's a problem. We received a damaged item from them weeks ago, and the response to my issue has been nothing short of abysmal. I've called numerous times to the local hub, as well corporate and have to date, I've simply left unreturned messages. This image is costing me and my family more than $2,000 out of pocket and I want the world to know the story.

My company is now a part of a chain of more than 68 locations nationwide, and just as I promised, we are now changing ALL R+L carrier suppliers to other carriers. It's not about the money, it's about the character of a company that matters and the saddest part of this whole fiasco is that our business was theirs to lose... and they couldn't have cared less.

I too ordered a massage chair and once unboxed, found it to have damage. Tried to resolve with EBAY and they credited my account but I had small window to return. They sent me a USPS label to return a 187 pound chair! Contacted R L. They sent a driver out next day, no quote up front or anything. I noticed I put the wrong return address on the waybill, contacted them and sent updated address. They didn't do anything and it got shipped to CA instead of GA from TX. Bill was more than cost of chair. No response on requested difference of bill for GA and CA. I really think they are in business with Factory direct because they mentioned they do lot of business with them. That same massage chair has probably more miles cross country and they collect the shipping fees over and over. I will never use them again and suggest no one else does.

I hired R&L Carriers, doing business as You Crate, to provide moving crates and services for residential household items. They agreed to deliver 2 crates suitable for that purpose and charged me $1486 for pick up in Danville, IN and delivery in Laguna Woods, CA. On March 10, 2017, they delivered two "crates" that they claimed were suitable; they were not. They were comprised of 6 rotten pieces of plywood held together with metal clamps, with large holes and no way to secure contents. (Have photos.) Due to the size of the large crate, it was delivered on the driveway, and exposed to winter weather of rain and snow.

When they were delivered, I was horrified and called to complain; they refused to send any better crates, but offered to pick them up early so that they didn't get rained on. They told me to cover them with tarps. Despite being told I would have 2 days to load, I had to load them immediately for pick up. The were dirty and smelled, and not suitable for clothing, so I incurred an additional $386 to FedEx to box and mail clothes and shoes. Since they weren't secure, I had to change the delivery address to a location that the unsecure, rotten plywood crates could be placed without risking theft or damage to my items. I advised them of this fact, and although it was only 19 miles additional, they attempted to charge me $475 additional for changing the delivery address (but did not ultimately).

When they delivered the crates, the lift was not able to unload them, so all contents had to be unloaded from the truck, immediately, contrary to the contract which allowed two days to unload. My items had bugs and dirt and representative Jeff ** was arrogant and condescending in dealing with the problem - refused to refund any of the $1486, but reimbursed for FedEx $386. This is a fraudulent and deceptive business practice if you see the rotten plywood that they claim was suitable for residential moving.

Please do yourself a favour and don't use RL Carriers for your shipping needs. It's been two weeks and the package barely made it halfway and now it's disappeared altogether. They try to locate it but can't seem to find it.

The worst trucking company I have ever dealt with. I will never deal with this company ever again. They are rude and their phone operators give inaccurate info on the load. Also they have no supervision after 5pm. I myself am a truck driver. And if I pulled 1/8th of the crap they did I would be fired. My company besides being a trucking company, we are also a freight liner dealership. Our broker was informed of what happened and will be looking for another carrier. There's a lot better companies out there. Just do your research.

The delivery guy is terrible... We ordered a massage chair on eBay from Factory Direct Wholesale. This is the second chair we ordered in two weeks. This is the same delivery guy came the first time. I saw the truck arrived and unload the item and told him to put it in my garage. Second time, I was home all morning and did not see the truck arrived, and he did not even push the door bell to let me know he is here and he just unload the over two hundred lbs box on my driveway. When I saw the box on my driveway and he still outside so I asked him to put it in my garage and he just drove away.

This was the worst freight company I have ever dealt with. Actually it is one of the most unprofessional businesses I have ever worked with. The delivery guy was incredibly rude, borderline nasty. I will never use this company again and strongly discourage anyone else to waste their time and money on them. The product did arrive in good condition. At least there was that!

I ordered some step bars for my truck and the makers N-Fab use this carrier service for some reason. I received a call from R&L representative saying they will be delivering my package the next day. The next day rolls around and about 11am I receive another call stating the delivery driver was hospitalized and probably wouldn't get delivered that day. They said possibly late that day or early next morning. All good... Accidents happen. I took another day off work to be home to receive my step bars. My home is gated and fully fenced with my dogs roaming free inside. Thus why I have to be home to open the gate.

Well the next day rolls around and I receive another call from the First Lady once again saying they screwed up. Apparently my package never even made it on the truck for delivery that day due to miscommunication between driver and warehouse... (idiots working there) so now I'm angry because of their second screw up I now have to ask for a third day off work. I make good money so I basically wasted three days of work because of them. I could have bought a second set of step bars for the money I lost by staying home three days!

From what I read from other reviews this company is employed by many underqualified morons. For a logistics company which needs to have excellent coordination R&L is seriously lacking in this department. If possible use another carrier service as they will most assuredly mess your delivery up one way or another! I have yet to receive my package so I cannot even comment on the condition of my package after delivery. I have a feeling they will be damaged somehow. =(

We sent a $5000 sign across the country using this Carrier. One of their employees drove a forklift through the wood crate into the sign, completely destroying it. The crate was properly marked and packaged, and insured. The customer refused the package because it was obvious there was serious damage, it the crate and sign were returned to us. We took several photos of the damaged crate and sign, and filed a claim. They refused to pay the claim, so I have filed a small claims lawsuit to pay for the sign, since we had to make a replacement sign. Do not do business with this company. They are crooks!!! This is the fourth sign they have destroyed through negligence and stupidity. We have transferred all our freight business to another carrier.

We ordered a door and our manufacturer sent us an email telling us to thoroughly examine our package and open it before signing to make sure our door was in good shape. When delivered, the RL driver would not let us touch our package, either to open it or check the contents, until we first signed their legal document stating that the package was delivered in good condition. The corner of the box was obviously damaged (crushed) and the top had black track marks across it with rips in the box. The driver said signing only meant he was there and did not mean we were happy. Wrong, the document clearly stated we accepted the package in good condition. Once we signed, we would no longer have any legal recourse.

Driver would not allow us to have him write down or record what he said as proof but kept saying whatever we wanted to hear so we would sign and he could leave. We signed but first added that there was possible concealed damage. This is a legally binding description but Driver's company would not allow us to add this to the contract. They were obstructive, would accept no responsibility and were remarkably unhelpful. Luckily, the great company who packed the door, did an excellent job and the door was unharmed. One more centimeter and yes, the door would have been crushed on one end. Do not use this company unless you: Can record the driver's statement; the package is overprotected; you are a lawyer and don't mind fighting their inane policies.

R+L delivered a dresser to my house in NJ today and left before I had a chance to inspect the furniture... It's as if they knew it was damaged and wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I am very disappointed in your service and am contacting the furniture company to advise them not to employ your services in the future.

This company is beyond uncaring and unhelpful. I purchased a very expensive glass kiln and when I unpacked it the control panel box was badly damaged. I took pictures and saved all of the packaging and it was very clear that the damage was caused during shipping. The paint from the panel had transferred onto the inside of the cardboard packaging and the pallet it came on was broken on the same side as the damage from some type of impact. They refused to come out and look at it and after two months they flat denied the claim.

I now have to send the box back to the manufacturer at my cost and be without my kiln for up to three weeks while it is repaired. When you call them for assistance they are very rude and it is clear that they truly know nothing about customer service. I will never use R & L Trucking in the future and I would not recommend them to anyone else to use either. The driver even commented on the damage to the outside of the box when it was dropped off but again, they won't even look at any of the evidence. Very sad that a company feels that they can do this to their customers. Lesson learned.

I hired R&L to move an 850 lb pallet of transaxles. They picked it up and their tracking on their website says it made it to Phx but they never delivered it to me. I called to see where it is and I'm told they don't know. I make at least 10 different calls and everyone at the company says it will turn up. For days not a single person will even make a phone call to try and find it.

After four days I receive a call from a local car builder about someone trying to sell my parts for 1/4 of what they cost, cash only, no questions. I call R&L again, no response. I sent the police to R&L's terminal and the manager sent them away! The police were told "When R&L took delivery of my parts they became liable and if had been stolen they would be the victim and they would have to report it and they are NOT reporting it." Over the next several months they have done everything to hide the employee that took my parts. They will not return my calls or emails. The police won't do anything because R&L won't give any tracking info so the police know what jurisdiction it would fall under. They took down the online tracking info. I filed a claim and they offered me $85.00. They have done everything they can to make sure I never find out who took my stuff and they never plan to pay for it.

After reading the reviews I was pretty nervous about my gun safe being delivered by this carrier. Knowing they probably deliver thousands of items weekly I wanted to give those of you considering using them (or if your seller uses them) some other perspective. Driver was on the money - called me an about 45 minutes before he arrived. Asked directions and wanted to be sure he could get his tractor trailer in/out of the neighborhood, which I thought was a fair question. He arrived on time, didn't rush me through inspecting the item and was a pleasure to talk to. I unpackaged the item, found it was undamaged, slipped the box back over the safe and my neighbor I slid it off the lift gate. No muss, no fuss. Really couldn't have gone smoother. Maybe the terminal or individual driver is what makes the difference, but getting the delivery out of the Pittston, PA terminal proved hassle free.

We purchased a motor online and the shipper chose to use R+L as their carrier. The shipper sent us pictures of the motor before it was sent and we have pictures of when it was delivered. As it was coming off the truck my husband noticed damage to the upper intake manifold and brought the driver's attention to it. His response was "This didn't happen while I was shipping this, I need you to sign for this and then you can take it up with the carrier company". He would not give us a chance to mark that it was damaged and was very unhelpful.

We contacted R+L and they requested pictures, documents, etc. and promised to get this matter resolved. I sent them over 10 pictures of before and after and showed them where the damage was clearly done after it was wrapped and tagged by their company. They didn't bother to secure the shipment whatsoever and it ended up tipping over and causing damage. The damage would cost $200.00 to replace the parts in question and they sent us a settlement request for $30.00 which was 10 cents per pound of a 300 lb. item.

I replied that we are not going to accept their request, that I would be in constant contact with them and an attorney, if need be, to acquire the appropriate funds for their negligence in proper shipping procedures. I strongly advise anyone that is purchasing something that needs to be shipped to contact the company you buy from and refuse to let them use R+L carriers as their shipper because it will only lead to damage, destruction and loss of valuable purchases and time.

I hired R&L to deliver a used machine I purchased for $2500.00. It was damaged beyond repair during shipment. I called them immediately and explained the damage. I put in a claim along with documents of payment and pictures of the damaged machine. They agreed it was their fault, yet will only pay $80.00 (10 cents per weight, 800 lbs). I am at a loss for words to describe my frustration. I am only trying to get the money I lost due to their negligence. Their blatant lack of care in addressing the damage and subsequent claim has left a feeling of violation. This assured me that R+L Carriers have no pride in what they do, and have the legal ability to damage whatever they ship beyond repair and not be held responsible. I wish I had read more reviews about this company before hiring them. I will never hire them again, nor would I recommend R&L Carriers to anyone. After reading others' similar experiences, I'm looking forward to a class action lawsuit.

Shipped a 2'x4" 170lb pallet from South Bend IN to Detroit MI. A 4 hour drive (if you are taking your time). The freight was shown to arrive in Detroit: "Shipment en route. EDI Status: Arrived at Terminal Location DETROIT, MI EDI User 3/3/2016 4:49 AM EDI User 3/3/2016 5:02 AM". From this point the freight simply vanished into thin air! The only thing CTI customer service will tell me is that it MAY have been delivered incorrectly to some other customer. They will NOT get on the phone to find this freight. Their response is to simply file a claim and be done with it.

This freight was a prototype part for a new vehicle program which cannot be replaced. A $65,000 test may need to be re-run if this part is not found! CTI will give out NO information for someone in charge. They stone wall and put you off hoping you will go away. They do not return phone calls. DO NOT USE CENTRAL TRANSPORT INTERNATIONAL to ship your freight if you really need it to arrive. Since this information is VERY hard to get the address for the CTI Michigan office is: 12225 Warren, MI 48089. The phone number for ** (Customer service supervisor) is: (586) 939-7000 Ext **.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

R+L Carriers is a global shipping company with a focus on customer service. Their shipping services include rail service, air transport, ocean transport and truckload service.

• Weekend express service: R+L Carriers has an expedited service dedicated to shipping cargo between Friday and Sunday efficiently. Submit a form online to get a Weekend express quote.
  • Guaranteed AM freight delivery: Many businesses can’t waste a whole day waiting around for a shipment. If you manufacturing or supply chain needs a delivery in the morning, opt for R+L Carrier’s guaranteed AM freight delivery option on your pickup request and BOL. This guarantees you will receive your shipment before noon or you’ll get your money back.
  • My RLC: Sign up for an account with R+L Carriers to gain access to Document Retrieval. Here, you can access all available delivery receipts, bills of lading, weight certificates, invoices and NMFC classification. You will also receive access to helpful shipping tools, including transit time calculator, shipping maps and more.
  • Trade show logistics: Use R+L Carriers for your next trade show to streamline the shipping process so you can focus on your business. R+L Carriers trade show experts will make sure your materials make it to and from the trade show on time and in tact. They offer white glove service and debris removal and are always prepared for the unexpected.
  • Domestic and international shipping: R+L Carriers ships both domestically and internationally, making it a great option for businesses who frequently ship both abroad and within the United States.
  • Best for R+L Carriers is best for businesses.

Compare Shipping Companies