1.50/5
Based on 208 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

776 DHL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 14, 2018

Someone sent a package to me from Germany on July 3 and it is now July 14 and I have nothing. In fact I have a tracking number and I gave it to them, they cannot pull up the same information. I gave the name and destination of the package and they still cannot find it but I can on my end and it tell me the package has been in the USA since July 11 and it has NOT been updated. In fact this person used DHL to mail me packages yet it is USPS who completes the transport.

I call up DHL to ask why and they give me answers that do not make sense. There is a DHL office in the same city of Philadelphia but they tell me they cannot sometimes. They cannot complete the mailing because not enough trucks or employees, therefore they use a third party. Again I have a tracking number that brings up the info about the package but when I give them the same info they cannot pull up any information. This company should not be in business. Also the USPS office they use to complete the shipment is a total hack job. I am so beyond angry. Then people wonder why people go postal...

Original review: July 13, 2018

DHL sucks!!! The worst courier service ever. They lied about not delivering my package at the workplace when in fact we stayed up late at work just to wait for that package and yet they declared that "Consignee Premises Closed". The gate was open, our office was open and we didn't even see their truck pass by or pulled over our vicinity for them to conclude that it was close. Their customer service are very inefficient in handling this complaints too and couldn't even resolve the problem. All they can do is apologize without even taking action to resolve the case. I'm never gonna trust this again. It's a waste of time and resources.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 11, 2018

Blown away at how awful this company is. I ordered an expensive lens from Brussels about three weeks ago. It was delivered by BPost and arrived in the states in less than a week. BPost works with DHL directly, but the incredibly rude and condescending woman I dealt with at DHL blamed USPS (surprise surprise). She told me DHL doesn't work with BPost and that I "need to be more proactive, learn how to use google, and to stop wasting her time." She literally said all of that verbatim. It took me everything I had to hang up on her without screaming at first. So here we are. The lens has been sitting at DHL since July 4th.

According to the tracking information, they contacted me on July 4th about a payment and since I was unable to be reached, the lens is being retained at their distribution center. Well, I was home until 7pm that day so that's clearly a lie. No phone call, no email, no text, no notice in the mail. Plus, I'm pretty sure DHL is closed on the 4th of July? The tracking information BPost supplied me with is also a USPS tracking number and for that reason DHL denies any involvement with this whatsoever. GUESS WHAT? THE PACKAGE HAS TO GO THROUGH DHL BEFORE GETTING TO USPS! How is it that I know more about this sorry excuse for a company than the people who work there? According to USPS tracking, the label has been created but is not yet in their system.

Again, this means DHL hasn't signed off. I had the seller contact BPost again yesterday, and they confirmed that DHL (4 miles from my house) has the package in their possession. So since they won't let me pay the import duties and deny up and down any involvement with this whatsoever, I guess I'll just give up photography for a however many months it takes to (hopefully) get reimbursed since I don't and will never have another $3,000 floating around for a replacement. Never again. Ever. Under no circumstance. Thanks for nothing you greasy, lying, parasitic cheats.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We sent a package to Bolivia on June 4, and we are on July 4, and we can have it yet. My son has been in Bolivia with no money, and no debit cards. After charging US$123.00 here in the U.S. to send 2 t-shirts ($20) and 2 debit cards, my son couldn't received the package, because they were charging an outrageous amount. First they promised they would resolve that, then they do nothing, but give excuses. They said Bolivian customs is charging 376 bolivianos (US$56, for a gift that cost no more thanUS$20), and DHL Bolivia is charging extra 280 bolivianos (US$42) for management. In total, this is around US$98 for doing WHAT?? After I already paid $123. Then trying to resolve this, I called DHL many, many times, and they promise to call back... And guess what... THEY NEVER EVER CALL BACK.

Original review: July 6, 2018

DHL company lost my package from Singapore and they very poorly, unprofessionally and unapologetically handled the matter and told me they were closing the case and I should get in touch with the vendor. Two days prior to when DHL was to supposedly deliver my package they sent me a text giving me an option to sign online and they would deliver my package in my absence. I signed online and on July 2, 2018. DHL said my package was delivered at my address and signed for by me, but I never received the package.

I then called DHL to alert them that I did not receive any package with the waybill number identified. They told me they were going to investigate and get back to me on July 6, 2018. So today a DHL agent called me on my phone and told me the package was lost and they were closing my case and I should contact the vendor in Singapore and let them know that I did not receive my package. I am sorely disappointed and dissatisfied with DHL and the way my matter was handled and I will not be using them going forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Original review: July 3, 2018

Medication sent urgently by shipper and DHL driver never even bothered to deliver on day s/he went out with it. Never called. Lied. Customer service never did follow through with my explicit directions for re-delivery the next day, so it never happened. Tomorrow is a holiday so maybe the next day they said. They take no responsibility for their actions nor reimbursement to shipper. Why use these lying, cheating flakes?

Original review: July 2, 2018

DHL has a very poor website layout. The website does not split the creation of a shipment information into several steps. Instead it is one long huge web form that has to be filled out over and over again. No intermediate savings points. Address book creation takes place only after payment. It took me about 4 attempts and probably an hour to get almost everything right. Then they require shippers to lie on the recipient address (possibly to Customs!).

They require a 'Company Name' even though the recipient is private. I put in 'N/A'. The label now says N/A for recipient name!!! One can only see the result AFTER payment!!! Customs information is equally confusing instead of using standard intuitive click through menus, they have text embedded links which are red instead of blue. Completely counter intuitive!!! Creating a sensible website is not difficult. Poor service.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Hello. I ordered a 2 kg package with a pool cue. On the order site, it said it will take between 3 and 5 working days to deliver the cue from Germany to Romania. I would have to say this: I have never dealt with such a professional company before. Once the cue arrived in Romania, some other carrier named "Cargus" was to take the cue from DHL and give it to me in Bucharest (where I live). So it did... DHL arrived sooner than I expected (4 days) and tomorrow I am receiving my package. DHL even sent me a mail where they said "we prepared your package for shipping to your country" before the cue even left Germany. I do not know what others have to say bad about this carrier but for me it really worked. I would surely recommend DHL to a friend in the EU. And I think I know why others have serious issues with DHL is because of the country they are in. German people do not get well with anyone...

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have 2 packages were held 3 weeks, I called first time, they said, "Your package been seized." Then I check the packages on websites said held. Then next day same held, and I am guessing, they still in process. I called them again. They said, "It is still not yet physically examined," and wow, it is already 3 days from first call. It said seized, in customs procedures, you must have physical examination to determine whether the package seize or release. Then... it keeps on and on until week 3rd.

I keep calling the DHL and the last call, DHL said, "We haven't examine your package, nor what really happens will depend on US border and custom that, authorized to deal with package" and I said... "Wow..." 2 packages only clothing and shoes for my family and it takes up to 3 weeks, they not even starts to examine, where be detained or release... I've been in DHL customer for 4 years and this never happens... Honestly people on that phones services need to be fired!!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I ordered from a company in China that uses DHL for their shipping. I ordered the product on May 21, 2018 and it was to be delivered by June 21, 2018 at the latest. However, I have still not received my product. When I call and speak to a representative from DHL I get the runaround or they try to blame the United States Postal Service. While I understand it may take awhile from ordering overseas, I do not believe that a consumer should get the runaround nor should the company try and place blame. It is very frustrating. I will not order from overseas, nor will I recommend DHL to anyone.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I was assigned to a long term stay in Farnborough UK. I sent my 4 bags from Almaty to Farnborough UK. Total weight 124 kg. The bags were picked up 22 May 18 and I made the payment 25 May 18. We are in Farnborough already 4 weeks. Today is 20 Jun 18. The bags still did not arrive. The content of the bags are simply clothes and shoes of our family. The DHL service is appalling. I would never ever recommend to use DHL again. Will try to bring the message to anyone willing to use DHL service. You try to call DHL in any city, it normally takes approx. 8 mins before somebody starts to respond after long introduction messages and diverting to anything but not to responsible people. Almaty DHL who were responsible for the shipment and expediting simply either disappeared or never respond to phone calls or mails.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Two months ago a package was sent from a PO Box in Reno Nevada. On top of the box it was said vitamins. I will give you the tracking number **. As I am writing this I have never received my package. I called DHL and Guadalajara Mexico 17 X it was supposed to email me. They were supposed to let me know what happened with the package it went into Customs. It was supposed to come out of customs and be sent to me. I finally got someone that spoke English. She sent me an authorization letter supposed to be in an attachment. It never worked. I've never got my package and I'm going to try to put this on every social media that I can cause this is horrible. I had to pay for this. You call 8772976032. They have you on hold for 2 hours. No one ever comes to the phone. If this is the way you do business it is absolutely disgusting and I will never ever use DHL again.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Bounced my parcel all around America before sending it to NZ. Instead of a direct route, DHL has passed it along every truck in America. It's gone from Oregon, to Seattle, to LA, to Ohio. Now it's going to Hong Kong. I'm not going to be using DHL USA ever again.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I ordered a textbook from overseas, and it was to be delivered Monday, June 11 by the end of the day. When it did not arrive, I called customer service to see why it was being held. The tracking site listed it as on hold in OKC. I told the woman my address, phone number, and email address, and she assured me that it would be delivered the next day by the end of the day. Today it did not arrive, so I called customer service again, and the man did not know where my package was when it clearly stated that it was on hold in OKC. I was not happy with his solution which was to put in a request to track the package and wait for the delivery people to find it. I asked him why he did not know where my package was. I told him that it was a textbook for a class I am taking, and I already had a quiz due, and another one coming up in 2 days.

He told me there was nothing more he could do. I told him I wanted to speak to a manager. He got very upset with me, and he scolded me on the phone like I was a child. I could not believe that he actually scolded me. I have done customer service jobs for many years, and I cannot imagine talking to a customer the way he spoke to me. I stopped talking, and he got more upset and ranted for a bit, then put me on hold and transferred me to another person. She was able to tell me that my package was in OKC. I asked her why the man could not, and she said he should have been able to. I told her I was scolded by him, and she said a manager will review the recorded call. She asked for my address, email, and phone number, and I told her everything I told the woman on Monday. She said the information in the computer was not updated with my correct information from Monday's conversation with the other woman.

I was told that they will ship my package tomorrow. I do not trust that this company will honor their word, when they scold customers, and did not honor their word when they promised it would be delivered today. The second woman I spoke with was very courteous, and she did a good job trying to help me. I will be driving up tomorrow to pick the package up in person from OKC which is 1 1/2 hours one way. I am very displeased with this company. It is not professional, or ethical to treat a customer the way I was treated by the customer service representative. Please avoid using this company if you want your packages to be delivered on time. I paid extra to have my package delivered sooner. Money not well spent with this company.

Original review: June 7, 2018

DHL did not delivered my package. I live under the address number 13. In flat 005. In Germany. In a small city. DHL understood it 13005. I don't know if there is any city in Germany or Europe, where is a such high numbered address. They didn't find it out by themselves in the beginning that they understood the address wrongly. After the first attempt to find the address, they wrote me that my name is not on the ring or post-box. On the same day I wrote them, mentioning my correct address. The help desk teached me, that I should contact to their postman my self. However they did not gave me any contact number or e-mail address. But they added never the less they already sent my package back to the sender (After the first attempt I wrote them immediately!!!). I don't like this company. And I will not buy anymore goods, which is delivered by DHL. I would recommend the same to everybody. Or use them if you are very very calm.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I will never be able to understand why it's so difficult for DHL to do their job, deliver packages to the right customers on time. I have probably used every courier service that delivers within Ireland in the past, and DHL has definitely got to be the worst. The package I waited for didn't arrive on the day that the tracking information said it would. I was assured by the courier that day that the next day the other courier would have it delivered before 11am. Over 3 hours of my time I wasted waiting for him to show up only to find out he wouldn't be coming until around 3pm. I had to put up with rude customer service, being placed on hold and redirected to multiple different people as it seemed no one could help me and am just overall dissatisfied with this service. As a result, I will probably not be ordering anymore products from the business whose products DHL was supposed to deliver to me. I would advise anyone against using DHL.

Original review: June 6, 2018

THEY overcharge me on tax and is impossible to pay online or by phone because they have pay phone, when you call to pay they want to charge you £20 extra apart the £10 for fees. All of this when parcel was not delivery and send it back to sender. Don't used those scammers.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Totally incompetent. The package was sent from Frankfurt, Germany last Wednesday, a week ago via DHL express. Very important documents were enclosed. A week later is still missing. Tracking info shows floating between the US and UK. I have been on hold with their customer service for 38 MIN!!

Original review: May 24, 2018

The entire process was disappointing from start to finish. Miserable service every step of the way (including complaints!). I felt like extra fees were constantly springing up without any mention of them beforehand. I was informed I could pick up my package on Monday, which was a holiday, assumed the service center might still be open, and was disappointed to find that it wasn't. The next day, my boyfriend went to pick up the package and was met with nothing but rudeness from the clerk. The clerk literally opened the door and ushered him out with his arms when he didn't have a signed note - generally he felt like he was being talked down to like a criminal or an idiot.

This was in spite of being listed as a recipient, this was in spite of having his phone number on the package, in spite of him having the text from DHL. While inside, there was another lady complaining to the same employee. The employee cut the lady off in order to deal with my boyfriend. Both my boyfriend and I work full time jobs which makes it very difficult to even show up at a service point 3 days in a row (especially given the operating hours).

For the reference, this was at the Richmond street location in downtown Toronto on May 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. It was an absolutely miserable shipping experience and it goes without saying that I'll never ship DHL again. That said, given the rudeness and extra fees I'll also be telling others about how terrible the company's treatment has been. I've shipped with other companies and they get the job done fine. Other shipping companies don't make me question if I'm being scammed every step of the way. Also while trying to send this specific complaint, the site kept giving me an access denied message, so I submitted it here.

Original review: May 21, 2018

It is now 21st May, I originally complained on 10th April re package not received. Driver has admitted not delivering to me, signing delivery himself and now several different stories as to where he left it. DHL still advising my supplier that delivered but now to a neighbor. He told DHL he knocked at neighbor to retrieve package but I was with him when he suggested he had left at neighbors & when I said we knock he admitted he did not leave it there. The driver now has told several lies, all on record but they still will not refund or respond to the supplier; he signed my signature for God sake, that is illegal to start with. I have tried a direct complaint myself to DHL & got a load of lies back. I am now having to seek legal advice to get my money back & out of pocket expenses because of dishonesty by DHL. Disgusted.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My cousin from Germany had to send us a document to the USA and we needed asap. She sent it through DHL who gave her a tracking number. On the day it was supposed to arrive I called DHL and they told me that my cousin never gave them a package to ship. Then they told me it was a bad tracking number. Then I spoke to another person and they told me once again that my cousin never gave them a package. Basically, no one should ever send anything through DHL if they need something to arrive anywhere in a timely manner. Their customer service reps do not care to help anyone.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I special ordered some hair extensions for a customer's graduation. My shipment was scheduled for delivery on 5/11/2018. I gave special instructions for my package to be placed on the back porch inside the screen. When I got off work my package wasn't there. I called DHL and they said my package was on schedule to be delivered by the end of day, 10 minutes later I get a text message saying an attempt was made for delivery and my package would be rescheduled. I immediately called DHL and was told I couldn't get my package until 5/14/18 the same day as my customer's graduation. Too late. I will never use them again.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have been expecting some samples shipped from overseas to USA. On May 7, 2018 DHL website tracking stated it was out for delivery. I waited all day to receive the 4 boxes since I had to sign for it. Around 4:30 PM all of a sudden I noticed that the tracking stated, 'delivery attempted - not home.' That is a total lie. On May 8, 2018, the tracking site displayed that 'it would be delivered as agreed upon' and showed the delivery date as May 8, 2018. Once again I waited the whole day and no delivery took place. During the day from time to time I spoke with 4 representatives and each assured me to wait for the delivery. Finally at 8 PM another representative stated, throughout the day I was given wrong information. The boxes were actually scheduled for delivery on May 9, 2018.

So I have been waiting since morning for three days in a row for DHL delivery to show up. To ensure there is no miscommunication I spoke with 2 different representatives and verified. Around 10:30AM I received text messages on my phone that the boxes were with the delivery driver. Around 3:30 PM I checked the tracking again and noticed the boxes were delivered. Alas, there were not a single box at my door. I frantically called them back. And from Christian to Taylor to Cheryl to Juan (all from Phoenix, AZ) and from phone to online live chat - everyone has been giving a runaround and without any specific information. And now the last two times, both the representatives after listening to my concern placed me on hold and never returned.

As I write this entire report, I am still on hold and this time for no less than last half an hour. But I am going to stay on hold until that person or someone else returns on the line. Out of the 8 boxes of samples that were shipped paying a premium price (no less than $1600) - I am in left in this position. Tracking system shows boxes were delivered. But I have not received even 1 box. And their reps are not ready to help. If anyone knows how to resolve this please help. DO NOT EVER USE DHL.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Buying Superdry online is totally terrible including their customer service and DHL express delivery. I just would like to share my worst experience about the missing parcel, and don't want anyone to be victim in this situation like me. Last couple months, my roommate recommended me about Superdry online. Then, we both have placed the online order separately from Superdry for the first time. The website mentioned that delivery was express, and we got it on time for the first order (express delivery should be less than three days). Later, I have placed two more orders continuously. The status of second order showed "It was delivered" in the fifth day since the day I placed the order, but unfortunately I did not receive this second parcel.

On that day, I got the message in the early morning asking about signature requirement, and I did say "No" as usual because my roommate and I were very sure to be able to take it on time, and the parcel should be delivered in shortly since the message was sent out. We kept checking all day long until the last message said "it was delivered" in evening time, and we still did not see any parcel in our building. At that time, I thought the delivery might be delayed and came at the same time with the third parcel. A day later, I got only the third parcel, and still couldn't find the second one. Finally, I decided to call Superdry's customer service, and the answer that I got was I had to contact DHL express by myself.

I kept calling DHL to find my parcel, therefore, he came in my building and said that he left my parcel inside the building by using password to unlock the door. I asked him back, "If you left it here, we should see it." The building's security camera is not working, and of course you can say "you left it here". The day after, I called DHL again, and the answer was "your neighbor might take it, you should ask them". You know what, in our building, so many parcels were left there over nights, but still not missing. I kept calling DHL express and Superdry's customer service for almost two weeks, but it still could not help anything.

Eventually, I sent the message via Superdry website about the missing parcel, and the answer that I got is "the liability for the parcel shifts from the courier to yourself due to no signature require". I'm done with Superdry after I saw this email. If I don't really want those stuffs, I won't waste my time calling you and DHL for almost two weeks.

I know you want to protect your benefit, but please understand customer's side. Your policy does not support customers. You should remind the customers about the liability without signature requirement before you ship the products out, not just asking Yes or No. Please work as professional as others do, for example, Amazon Prime, Sephora, Kiehl's, Zara, The North Face, Adidas, Neiman Marcus, etc. They don't even need to ask about signature, but their parcel were delivered completely. Or any unexpected situation happen, they still support and help customers. All in all, I'm sure I do not delivery my second parcel to my building.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I was waiting for my package from Pakistan. I was checking the tracking every 10-15 minutes, the moment I refreshed the tracking info again, I see a "delivery attempted". I live in a one way street, there is no other way around my house. I was sitting outside waiting for the DHL van to drop off my package, they NEVER SHOWED UP. I can see from outside who comes and who doesn't, because it is a WAY ONE street. There is no other way around the house. I called DHL three times, did they fix the problem for me as always. I asked to talked to the manager, his name was Wayne ** (in Arizona), he was NO help at all.

He said that if the driver knew the zone and he knew about my apartment that needed a gate code he automatically will marked DELIVERY ATTEMPTED, can you guys believe this???? I told him, that I waited the whole day and night for this package, and that driver didn't make it to the house. THE MANAGER DIDNT GIVE A ** ABOUT IT, DHL ARE A PIECE OF **. THEY DO NOT CARE FOR THE CUSTOMER, BE AWARE OF IT AND DON'T CHOOSE DHL AS AN OPTION.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I am so sick of this garbage courier service. They are German and in Germany there is no such thing as customer service. Perhaps this is why they never make an effort to improve their services. I am always waiting for packages that don't arrive on time... or at all. DHL is the most rubbish courier I have had experience with. AND don't expect DHL Express to be any better... in fact they will disappoint you even worse. It took DHL EXPRESS 2 weeks to deliver something that should have taken ONE DAY!!! The delivery guy's excuse to me was that he couldn't find the name on my apartment bell (it's typed in black bold letters on white background). Save your frustrations and use FedEx or UPS... DHL is like beating a dead horse.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I ordered something that came from China and was transferred to DHL about a year ago. As soon as DHL got the package they sent it back to the sender and reported it as delivered to me. So to make a long drawn out story short the company I bought the item from got their item back and tried to charge me for returning it unopened. Since I had never seen the item it was not me that returned it but DHL. So if it hadn't been for PayPal I would have had to pay shipping twice for an item I never got!

Original review: April 26, 2018

Last week they never updated the tracking, then they said it would arrive the following day but it arrived later the same day they contacted me, this openly demonstrates the lack of internal communication within DHL. This week a package was sent, the Company informed me that it left the warehouse but DHL Never Updated ANY information whatsoever, TWO DAYS LATER and the Tracking is stuck on exactly the same information: Tue, 24.04.18 19:24 - Today is the 26th - 2 Days Later and Still No Update. This is basically what happened recently and last week.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This company always say the package was delivered and signed for when no one is at home at the registered address. Sometimes they place the item in front the door where anyone could walk by and pick it up and didn’t knock on the door to notify the customer of the package.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I was headed out of town and needed my package fast. The delivery driver contacted me and met me on the side of the road as I headed out of town. They have great customer service.

DHL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.

• Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.

• Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.

• DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.

• Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.

• Best for: DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs