1.28/5

954 DHL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 20, 2019

Package was sent from Greece with DHL Express. Package has arrived in New York 10 days ago. Every day I call for delivery date. DHL customer service is promising next day delivery and there is always an excuse. The addressee was wrong, the truck forgot to pick up the package from the station, etc. Last excuse was that the station is short of workers and to go pick it up for myself. So much money were spent for quick reliable service and at the end it is the worst service.

Original review: April 20, 2019

My package was supposed to arrive on Friday. The date was moved to Monday, unbeknownst to me. I called CS, and they could only file a complaint. When I asked for the Manager’s name, who handled my call, she told me that she could not give that to me for security reasons...????

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I would advise anyone not to use DHL, especially if you are waiting on a sample from China or another country because their company either delivers late or deliver your package the next day. In my opinion, always ask the shipper to use UPS because they are the most dependable company that delivers on time. My second delivery choice is FEDEX.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I have shopped online many times but every time I see a package is being delivered by DHL I kinda just give up on the idea of having it home anytime soon. They always get incredibly delayed, the tracker is never accurate, and they fail to notify me of any changes. They just kinda... deliver my package some day a few days later.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have received several packages from this company. Each time they have told me that delivery would occur on a specific day and it has not. I even called to schedule a specific day for delivery and they agreed but “the truck left without the package, so they could not deliver it.” The company then changed the delivery date but did not inform me. Do they expect people to stay home day and night and wait for them? Do not use this delivery service. Do not work with anyone who uses this delivery service. They are incompetent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Original review: April 5, 2019

I ordered a sample product from China before ordering 1000 units, I was told it would be here in 4 to 5 days. According to DHL I would be receiving it at the end of business day today. The product did in fact arrive in the USA and in Miami, Florida where I live yesterday. However, it will not be delivered until Monday or Tuesday since someone who is Geographically Challenged sent it to Hialeah, Florida in California. Only problem is there is not Hialeah or Miami in California least of all any Florida zip code. So here I am not able to meet my deadline due to the inefficiency of this company who will never be a FedEx or UPS.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I had a package to come and I missed it. I called. They said it would be there next day, not only this a rep call me but the supervisor called and made SURE I got what I needed on time. They really care guys. As frustrated as I was the customer service was IMPECCABLE. I needed that. I will DEFINITELY be using DHL in the future. I recommend you do the same.

Resolution response: April 5, 2019

Just today received a box with a gift and an apology from DHL.
Didn’t change the missing package but was thoughtful.

The replacement arrived April 2 the day following them turning it over to the Post Office.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Ordered an item from Estonia and they use DHL and it gets worse from there. According to tracking it was shipped March 14 and arrived in Jacksonville FL on March 18. Estimated to be delivered to St. Augustine by end of day (don’t you love that phrase) March 20. When it didn’t arrive I called DHL customer “service” number and the fun started. First I was told they don’t deliver to my Zip code and would turn it over to the Postal Service for delivery. When I asked if they could hold it in Jacksonville and I would drive up and get it. He said he would call Jax and see. Then he said it wasn’t there and that the tracking location reflected a container scan but my package wasn’t there and he would start an investigation.

Two days later I am contacted by the inquiry rep who wanted me to send Hera picture of it so they could search for it. I asked how I could send a picture of something I hadn’t received and referred her to the sender. She next said since I ordered it I must have seen it on a website and should have a picture. I sent her the link to the product website but pointed out that it didn’t show how it would be packed for shipment. The sender, Shark RF, who I copied all these emails to sent me pictures of the shipping packaging which I forwarded to her and asked if she got them. No reply. Late Monday after receiving no promised call I called DHL and demanded to speak to a supervisor. She could not find any pictures but said they would start a search, this being a week after the container arrived in Jacksonville.

The next day they contacted me and said it was lost and to notify the shipper to make a claim. I contacted Shark RF and requested a replacement be shipped by an alternate carrier. Lo and behold on March 27 I am notified a replacement is on the way by, you guessed it, DHL. Tracking showed it in Jacksonville on April 1 so I called DHL to see if the Postal delivery was true or BS. They said it was but would hold it in Jacksonville for me and would notify me when the container was unloaded and I could pick it up. About 3:00 PM April 1 I was notified it was “forwarded for delivery.” When fearing the worst I called, APRIL FOOLS, you guessed it. It had been turned over to the Postal Service so I am still waiting for it. What a bunch of moronicilles (morons & imbeciles all rolled into one). I hope that is detailed enough.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Worst company ever. I spent $2,000 and I cannot even track my package. It’s been two weeks and I was supposed to get second day delivery. Garmin uses DHL to ship their products which is a poor choice in all regards.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I don't use DHL to ship my items but I do receive items via their service from time to time and they always slow delivery down. I am going to start asking if the sellers use DHL and if they do, I'll look for someone that doesn't to buy from.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I was charged twice for international shipping. I am disputing the charge but I'm being forced to pay the bill and was informed that I will be re-reimbursed from Customs, not DHL. Frank from DHL called me after I had e-mailed him the proper documents. He was SO RUDE. I will NEVER use this service to ship again.

Original review: March 22, 2019

DHL was the courier service selected by an international logistics company shipping time-sensitive patient samples to us in the US from Guatemala. Despite paying for guaranteed 48-hour delivery, they held the package in Boston hub (same city as the ultimate destination) and said they would deliver it...5 days after the package was shipped. When we called to make sure it would be delivered instead in the 48-hour window, they placed it on the truck but forgot to scan it - when the driver finally came with the package after numerous calls, he tried to leave without delivering the package at the front desk, saying the building "was too hard to find." We had to call to have him come back, which he did with poor grace, and he accused us of having an incorrect delivery address and threw the package at the security guard manning the front desk. Will never use DHL again - have never had any problems with Fedex or UPS.

Original review: March 20, 2019

It's a darn good thing I didn't really need this by any particular time. Delivery was estimated 3/15, then 3/20, now 3/25. I wonder what the next "delivery date" will be and requiring 200 characters for a review is silly. Not everyone is long-winded.

Original review: March 19, 2019

DHL has the absolute worst customer service I've ever encountered in my life. Two weeks ago a driver delivered my package to the wrong address. Since then they've called me every day saying he should look for it, with zero progress made. Their research department employees are very rude and unhelpful. I was told I am not a priority and my problem hasn't been addressed because they are busy making their regular deliveries. Wtf??? WORST DELIVERY SERVICE AND WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Just called the customer service today and yesterday. All of the operators were rude. They do not solve customers' problem and rather ask customers themselves to solve problem. I had a delivery ongoing since last week and took a while before the delivery came due to the lack of competency in the staffs. One of the operators of the customer service told me that he had contacted the courier service and that they will call me in a while but I waited forever and the call did not reached me. Second day calling them had been the worst experience ever. The operator just hung up on me when I was trying to ask questions. Not just once but twice. Do improve on this matter. Thank you.

Original review: March 19, 2019

DHL refuse to do customs if commercial invoice do not include shipping costs aside from items price. This basically include all free shipping invoices. Clearly an abuse. I never had a problem like that with other shipping company. Of course, this means buyer will get his refund, seller his item lost or returned but too expensive to recover.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was sitting on the sofa waiting for doorbell to ring. It never did, yet I received a voice mail saying they were sorry I wasn’t home. I called DHL office numerous times and there was no answer. I will never use them again.

Original review: March 15, 2019

DHL carrier service left my package without the requested signing and I did not receive my PAID FOR package or item and then they gave me the runaround and still has not taken accountability for their error. I would recommend NO ONE use this carrier serve to prevent the headache and disappointment I experienced.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Had a parcel to be delivered on Tuesday 12th March. No show. Delivery person recorded this as no one at home. Re-scheduled delivery for Wednesday 13th March. Again no show. Delivery person recorded this as no one at home. Re-scheduled for Thursday 14th March 2019 not holding much hope because after checking CCTV for both failed deliveries which no cards were left. This delivery person should work for the government undercover because he/she eluded the CCTV twice in their so called attempted deliveries.

Original review: March 9, 2019

First of all DHL tracking is not as good as FedEx or UPS. Secondly the Package was promised on 3/7 and will not get here till 3/11. Doesn't sound like a big deal but when the package contains a prom dress which is on 3/9 leave us up a creek and my daughter devastated. Customer service had no explanation on why they were late, no apologies, and no help. I will make sure to never purchase from a company that uses DHL in the future.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have been with a company for three years which I get something in the mail monthly from them. Sadly they use DHL to put their mail out. I have had nothing but horrible service in all these years with them. Right now they have had my package sitting in their center for almost 2 weeks. At first, it had a due date of March 1st and now there is no estimated delivery date. I keep e-mailing and I am getting nothing back. They need to be more prompt and they need to learn to update all the tracking information!!!

Original review: March 5, 2019

I have ordered stuff via DHL a couple of times, and they have always provided reliable service. For instance, when they have been unable to deliver a package, they have always informed me via email or SMS. This sounds like it should be self-evident, but it really isn't, for instance if you order something via UPS, you might not get any notification at all that the shipment has arrived, instead UPS might just return it to sender without ever contacting you at all, or asking how you would prefer to receive the shipment. It's really surprising, but the service of UPS is quite terribly bad at least here in Finland. I'm far from the only person that has received "service" like this from UPS, based on some other reviews of Finnish people on Trustpilot for example.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I order a lot of things online and truly, I think this is the only time I've ever had DHL involved in a delivery. I ordered an item on February 17th. The service apparently was DHL initially with a final handoff to USPS. The tracking updated fairly quickly, and I was notified the next day that the item was in transit/headed to the USPS facility. Unfortunately, that's where the tracking stayed...not for one, two or even five days. ELEVEN DAYS!!! Here's the worst part...original destination of the package was Kentucky and I live in Michigan! There is only ONE state in between us! I understand that Ohio is awful and nobody likes it, but unless the DHL delivery vehicle was a 10 speed, I'm not sure HOW it takes 11 days to get from Kentucky to Michigan.

Today is March 1st and I was notified today that USPS has received the package. How and why is this company even in business, let alone a realistic option for companies to consider?! I can't even recall even seeing a DHL truck on the road within like, the last 10 years. EVERYBODY including consumers and companies need to rethink ever using this horribly slow, bottom of the barrel delivery service. Give your money to the post office, UPS or FedEx.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I've only had to deal with DHL twice in my life which is apparently 2 times too many. My girlfriend shipped me an expensive package in November 2018 and DHL dropped it off right at my door despite there being a required signature (which I am OK with as my apartment complex is very safe). I've been having issues with this item so the company she bought the item from sent me a few cheap replacement parts via DHL once again.

This time DHL is honoring the signature requirement and given I can't be home at noon on weekdays I simply cannot sign for this package to receive it. Secondly, because my girlfriend ordered the item and lives hundreds of miles away, I cannot pick up the item in person either. Finally, DHL claims there has been no signature release despite the company I ordered the package from confirming that DHL received and acknowledged the signature release. In short, there is absolutely no way I can receive MY OWN PACKAGE. I simply can't believe this.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Received a text on Nov. 28 stating package will be delivered on Nov. 30. I found out signature is required and I won’t be home. I logged into the DHL delivery website and had the package delivered to a DHL Service Point near my work. Package got delivered on Dec. 2 which is a Sunday (UPS and USPS don’t deliver on Sundays). Anyway, I didn’t know that change of delivery address will involve a delay of 1 to 2 days. Next time, I have a DHL delivery, I will request them to hold my package for pickup at their main depot so there is no delay.

I don’t trust DHL to deliver to our house because all the townhouses here look the same. Their delivery window is too long like until 8 or 9 pm. I don’t want to wait in the house that long. I prefer driving to their depot and pick up the package. In our neighborhood, USPS and UPS state a delivery window of until 8 pm too but they make so many deliveries in our neighborhood. I’m able to estimate their delivery. Like for USPS it is around 1 to 2 pm and for UPS around 1 pm. DHL doesn’t make a lot of deliveries here so it is hard to tell what time the delivery guy will arrive.

Original review: March 1, 2019

One star because I HAVE to... Otherwise, this company wouldn't get a single damn star from me. They suck! And should be ashamed of themselves for their quality of everything. Customer service, online transactions, delivery updates, EVERYTHING. I wish companies would let you know if they use DHL for shipping because I'm 1000% sure no one would go through with that order. Like nearly everyone else has said. Packages disappear, you never get to track it because…well, I don't know. I'm not even sure if they know. Something literally always goes wrong. And when you call be ready to get even angrier because not even they know what's happened in their own system or warehouses. Please just get rid of this company. Somebody.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Very poor service and either incompetent or untrustworthy. My 15kg large parcel went missing after being dropped off at their Manchester Airport Depot (UK). They investigated, but declared it 'Lost in Transit'. How can anyone lose such a large parcel? Not recommended.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I ordered a package from Europe and paid for expedited shipping expecting the package to be delivered in 3-5 days. After 1 week I called to inquire about my package. They couldn't find it, after going back and forth with them for almost two weeks I assumed the package was lost and started down the road of credit protection with my credit card. 6 weeks after my original order I get random email from DHL stating that they have been to my house multiple times and no one was home so the package has been shipped back to headquarters and is about to be destroyed.

They left no notes on the door, telling me that they were there, and never followed up with me after telling me that there was no package to begin with. Absolute and complete incompetence. How a company like this can survive when it is this ludicrously poorly run is beyond me. I normally would not wish bad on anyone, but in this case I so hope this company goes under and does us all a favor.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I ordered a gift from Canada company for my daughter's birthday which is in three days. I was having it delivered to one address in NYC and changed shipping address the same day on the DHL change option page to go to me instead which was updated in their system and showed a day delay. This morning I received 9:30 am text saying gift was being delivered TODAY timeframe unknown within tracking info (anywhere up until 8 pm). Since I am REQUIRED to sign for gift, I have to be here. I sat here all day not leaving the house, taking a shower, nothing awaiting delivery. Around 4 pm I call and ask where the delivery is and was told that it is going to the ORIGINAL ADDRESS I CHANGED. I was very upset and they told me I failed to contact the seller to update with them so it's my fault.

I was unaware I had to do this as DHL offered the shipping change option and I took care of it with them and have a photo to show the confirmation days ago. So I called DHL Customer Service at 4:30 pm who told me it was in fact going to NYC original address and would get there by 5 pm today and security guard had to be authorized to sign. At the same time, I am texting the seller (they don't answer their phone in Canada) who called DHL and told me via text they did, in fact, UPDATE MY Changed address to reflect NJ and gift will be delivered TODAY by 9 pm to updated address. So Customer Service has no clue what is going on as complete conflict in story. Well, it is 8:45 pm and no gift is arriving and I can guarantee it will not come by 9 pm. I am notifying seller tonight with instructions that DHL is to leave the package UNSIGNED at my front door. I cannot sit in the house all day tomorrow awaiting their arrival. For all I know, it will end up in NYC original address. Disgusting service.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Every time I place an order and find out (usually after the fact) that the vendor is using DHL, I kick myself. More often than not, any deliveries involving this company are a complete disaster. Items are lost or significantly delayed. Sometimes tracking just disappears for days at a time on an item and I'm not able to get any resolution on where things actually are. I have no idea why anyone would use them. They make the businesses who ship via them look terrible.

DHL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.

• Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.

• Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.

• DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.

• Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.

• Best for: DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs