1.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

829 DHL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My relative is going to give me her phone through DHL. It came from London, she brought it to DHL on Oct. 26 then it arrived in Manila on Oct. 28 then DHL emailed me the receiver that they need requirements for this kind of delivery. We weren’t sure if we're going to believe this email because it’s our first time using this Delivery company then my relative asked DHL from London if this email was legit then they answered that they didn’t know anything about this but we still gave the requirements anyway.

Fast forward to November 15 the last process from customs was finished then an employee emailed me again that we have to pay taxes. They want us to pay big ** money but we weren’t aware that we have to pay taxes. I mean come on, other big name companies doesn’t do this. They just deliver. To me this is the worst delivery company and it’s still being hold right now, the package is almost 3 weeks being hold. We chose this delivery company because they said it was the fastest way, but this was the worst decision.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Worst service ever. Would like to give - ve ratings! Beware of this company! I was supposed to receive a package on 12th Nov. Whole day I was tracking the package, suddenly around 9pm they updated that package was delivered around 3pm. But we have not received the package. How can international package get delivered without any one's signature? It's so awful! Their employees are playing with people's package.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Unfortunately in Germany for some reason everyone uses this piece of ** system. All my parcels have gone to a stupid kiosk down the road. One is an oven over 9kg and the other was cat stuff including heavy litter. I was dragging it like a malakas in the street. Meanwhile I was home all day both times and there was 0 attempt to deliver to me. My doorbell literally has the biggest letters too. I complained online and got a call. They said they were going to re-deliver the oven today that had gone to the kiosk. I also included myself as the preferred neighbour to see if they'll hopefully listen. DID NOT HAPPEN.

Meanwhile, another pet related parcel ended up there this week and today all day I was waiting for Ikea stuff (guess what, also from DHL) AND IT'S AT THE DAMN KIOSK AGAIN AS WELL AS THE OVEN DUE TO ARRIVE TODAY. I've sent another complaint and hopefully they'll take it seriously this time but from the looks of the endless sea of reviews they take absolutely nothing seriously. I'm lucky I'm currently freelancing. Otherwise someone with a job who takes their day off to wait for such things would probably kill themselves. Now I'll need to find a person to do 3 mini trips to the kiosk to get all my things and more or less do their job...

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I purchased a phone thru Geekbuying on November 3rd and opted for express shipping. I waited a couple of days to track shipping because it was coming from China. On November 6 the tracker updated that the phone was cleared by customs and ready for delivery. Since then no more updates have been done. It is now November 13 and I have called and spoke to six different people at DHL customer service, each person has a different story about why the phone is still in customs. When I ask why the tracker says customs has cleared it for delivery they act like the tracker is wrong but have no solution to solve what is going on. So as of now I'm out of the purchase money with no help or information from DHL about the package or the problem.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I ordered a dress online last week and it gives an estimated delivery date for November 12th. I was like perfect because I need my order by the 13th. No problem right. Well after placing my order 24 hours later I receive an email stating my order will be delivered by the 12th as promised by DHL. Then the next day it changes to the 13th. I was a little disappointed but it’s just one day later. That’s fine. Well A few days later I check on my order again and it says my delivery date has changed to the 19th. That’s unacceptable. I have tried emailing customer service to see if I could pay extra for faster shipping but there hasn’t been a reply. Now I’m left without the new dress for my event and no help from their customer service. I refuse to buy from any website that uses DHL. They are the worst. Do not use them. You will be disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I ordered a Mac mini from Apple on launch day. Everything went smoothly on their end, until DHL showed up (or rather didn’t). The original delivery date was for 9 November 2018. Plenty of time to give notice to my employer and request the day off. On 6th November, I received a text from DHL saying my delivery will be due on 8th November. Since my line of work doesn’t allow me to check my phone during the day (food processing), I didn’t see that until I left work. No way I can swap my days off again, so I went on to the delivery tracker to leave specific instructions where to leave the parcel. Their website specifically mentioned that signature is not required so I can ask for the package to be left with a neighbor or in a safe place.

My dad works in a hotel just 30 seconds walk from my house. It’s actually easier for the delivery driver to go there anyway since my house is behind said hotel without vehicle access. 8th November comes. Funny enough, we finished all orders and left work way early at noon. I was at home by half past 12. No delivery yet. My dad keeps checking on reception regularly, super nice of him to do so. 4pm, still nothing. 6pm, nothing. Online tracking is not updated, so I leave a message on the DHL website to not take it to the hotel the next day, but take it to the original address. I received confirmation of said change.

I wake up at 7 am on 9th November (mind that this was the original promised date) to the tracking telling me the delivery was refused, returning to sender. Excuse me?! I received no message, no email, no phone call, no calling card through the letter box saying “we missed you”, nothing. I jump out of the bed and call Apple straight away. Lady is super helpful, even goes out of her way to try and contact DHL to turn around and deliver my parcel ASAP. She hit every wall possible along the way, couldn’t even contact DHL.

I call my bank, asking about what happens with the finance if I cancel the order and go to a store in person and re-apply. This would take 48 hours to clear before I can be approved again. I look at every possible hole to find contact details or customer helpline for DHL and tell them I am home, I’m waiting (and possible scream at them for being sneaky and not even have the decency to lie into my face. Refused delivery? Can’t they read?)

I call Apple again, and we spend the most helpful half an hour talking to find a solution. DHL acting like they don’t even exist. Impossible to get hold of them. Apple guy launches an official investigation and promises to get my Mac delivered with priority shipping (I love this guy!!!) while DHL’s system lie into his face as well saying they tried twice (Uhm, no they didn’t. For once, I was lucky to arrive home early. I even asked my neighbors and they didn’t see anyone with a DHL van, nor any delivery looking person walk down the alley to the tow of houses behind the hotel mentioned above).

DHL left no notice, no calling card, no text, no email, nothing to even give me a chance to re-schedule or pick my parcel up from a depot (I could have gone to Inverness and save them the trouble, but no way). DHL has no customer service, and at this point, this being far from the first time they do exactly the same thing, I will never, ever use their services again. I’m making sure that if I’m the future I order something online, contact the seller to make sure they won’t use DHL.

All this, and here I am, on the evening on the day my parcel was originally promised for, and I am without my order. More so, I’ll have to take yet another day off from work next week and just hope they will deliver. On the bright side, though, Apple told me if the worst comes to worse, they will honour the finance and reserve a Mac mini for me in a store I choose. I’m definitely avoiding DHL in the future, however.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Their local branch representative was rude, kept interrupting me as I was trying to explain what I said to their customer service representative yesterday, and generally terribly coordinated with the HQ. Also DHL sprung surprise duty and tax fees on me that was ridiculously overcharged and even though they said they would deliver the package and I can pay in person with the delivery person, the delivery person didn't show up even though I waited at home all day and watched the windows like a hawk.

Their website for online payment of the fees in order to have the package left at the door without signature was also insecure and my browser warned me attackers could potentially be trying to steal my information if I paid online. The other option is paying over phone and the branch depot representative taking my order mumbled something about security but dodged my question. Generally, DHL is extremely sketchy, frustrating to use, and this will be the first and last time I will ever buy from a vendor using DHL as the shipper.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I wanted to send express courier, they sent it without express. I clearly mentioned it contained perishable items, still they did this "mistake". Moreover, it arrived 1 day late. I specifically called customer case and left my phone number for driver to call me when he arrives the building. My building don't have buzzer. So I asked them to call me when they arrive or leave courier at front door. Yet driver left without delivering and lied that I wasn't home. So the courier which was supposed to reach in 2 days took 6 days to reach. According to DHL, if driver calls or not is upon his convenience not customer's.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I had an international package held at the warehouse for pickup, as my address had changed by the time it arrived (late). I called DHL and gave them my information to hold it and requested delivery notification. I received notification, drove to the site to pick it up, signed for it, and went home. The next day they called and said I owed them duties and taxes. I contacted the shipper (as the shipper confirmed they cover those) and the shipper said they contacted them. DHL has now been emailing me every day and calling me multiple times a week for two weeks demanding these fees. I contacted the shipper again and they confirmed that it was cleared up and they contacted DHL with the waybill and received confirmation that it was clear. This guy, Jordan **, keeps harassing me for these fees that they never mentioned when I picked up the package.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

DHL delivered a package to my house on a Friday, without my consent to leave it at the door. Yet they left it. I was gone for the weekend. When I arrived on Monday, parcel was gone. ZERO help from the customer service. DO NOT USE DHL!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

818 complaints against this company. I would think that Consumer Affairs would check them out... But it seems no. Ordered a package from a company, they used DHL. Sent 10 days ago. 2 days later they said they experienced a delay and to allow 24-48 hours more. That was 8 days ago. Nothing after that. This company, DHL has automated response system to ask a question, so there is no answer. I see someone else giving the same story. It seems there is no accountability.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

My daughter ordered a purse and the company used DHL: she paid $22 for shipping and was so very excited to get the bag. She turned 15 years old and was using her birthday money. The bag was $80, so her totaled was $102. This is a lot for a kid. Anyway, we tracked the package which said it would be deliver on October 19th. We were home the entire day. She tracked the package around 4pm. The packaged showed that it was delivered at 1:45pm. I called the company and reported that we had not receive the package. The customer service person told me that the package was indeed delivered to 2705...

I said, well we are at 3705... She said, "Well it was the shipper's mistake. We delivered to the address given." The shipper sent a shipping receipt of the correct address. DHL said they will research it and give us a call on Monday, October 29th at 5pm. To date, we have yet to receive a phone call from DHL. The shipper requested, "signature required"; well who signed the package and where is it. Any idea on what we can do? This is sooo ANNOYING. Do your JOB!!!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

Parts were picked up and scanned by DHL on Oct.15 in Quincy, Ma. And no scanning of package until received at a post office in Mary Esther, Florida 1412 miles away 12 days later. The only thing they could tell me was that there was a delay, but couldn't tell me why there was a delay or where the package was. I could have cancelled my order, and reordered but they just kept telling me it was in transit just to be received by another shipper! And by the way I live in Minnesota 1400 miles the other direction from Ma.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

So thankfully I have never had a package go missing; but it takes 2 weeks to go from NC to AR? Really?! I get Ipsy bags and for some horrid reason they use DHL. I've hated my previous interactions with this company and now something I get every month is done through them. :( So sad and angry I could cry. I get my makeup from Korea faster!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

EVERY time I order something and the seller uses this company it either gets lost in shipping or the “delivery fails”. I am so over it. It’s like they expect me to sit around and wait for the package for the 2 weeks that I’m given for estimated shipping date. NO THANKS. I just can’t understand why they can’t just leave it at the door or (I live in an apt complex) the front office. And when I’ve called to talk to them about this issue I’m having they have NO answers for me. If sellers could put a disclaimer saying they use this company to shop with I wouldn’t order from them. I honestly feel like it’s a giant con.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

Awaiting for my package I called DHL to found out that the expected delivery time for my package shipped from California to Washington State is 8 days. This and the fact they accepted the package that will be dropped at Post Offices that does not have a valid verified postal address (quirks of the zip code where I live). As a consumer I will not order from a company that is known to use DHL. Poor customer service (their call back function does not work, if you ask a question they cannot answer you will get hung up on). Have to call to find out expected delivery time, other shippers provide this on their website. Overall bad service. If I could have left a ZERO star review, I would have.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had ordered a pair of shoes from a UK based company and paid for 2-day shipping, which means my order was supposed to arrive on Friday, Oct. 12th. When I checked the tracking on it, it said "DELIVERED at 1:45 pm". When I got home, the package was not at my mailbox. I called DHL 3 times and finally they told me that it was "delivered", but I still have no package.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

DHL has yet to arrive with my package, I phoned them. They told me it's been delivered. However someone has been here all day, I came home and no one's seen their truck. I've asked neighbors and I've heard nothing. I'm waiting but this isn't the first time this company has been difficult, their employees all look overworked. I would never recommend shipping with them. When I was working in retail they were notorious for being late and rude. I suppose it's time I share my impression, I mean I paid ahead and have them instructions, released the package online in case I couldn't be home to receive it myself. Even with a full house, no package, but my phone and their representative says it's here somehow.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had a parcel delivery today and the only notification I had that the parcel was being delivered was the CRASH I heard. The driver had just thrown my parcel which was marked FRAGILE over the garden gate which shows total contempt for me, the customer and the contents of the parcel. I tried to contact DHL online but it would not accept my email. I tried calling but I could not get through the options to speak to a human being. Obviously there is no option for complaints. I found another number to call at 7p per minute and got through to someone. I quoted her the number on the notification email to be told that wasn't the number she wanted and put me through to another department which was a recording telling me it could give me any information. I gave up at that point. The DHL notification emails are very good but my experience of the service of this particular driver was horrendous.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

More Flakey than a Leper Colony - Mixed signals from company: Such as, “No we don’t ship to that area”, then, “Oh wait - it's 798.00 for expedite.” No answer to local hub telephone. Local feeder agents unable to fill quotes accurately due to main hub system not registering price. As a broker of goods, I would never recommend cargo and goods to shipped by a courier as aloof as DHL. I should have learned my lesson from my first encounter in 2004 when they failed to meet my explicit required delivery date. Way to leave customers hanging. I refused to pay or have clients pay for "13 year old teenage girl" uncertainty service. How are these folks still operating.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Terrible experience with what called DHL. By email they ask me to pay 19.99$ fees for customs. I called them and asked to do it myself. They told me that the parcel is on its way. So what I do because I am not ready to 19.99$ for a parcel of 21$, it does not make any sense at all. The lady told me to refuse the delivery because you are going to the customs to clear it yourself. I asked what is the address of the customs office, she told me it's in the same address of DHL offices. I asked what on wall written, is it Customs Canada or DHL, she said DHL. I went to that address and discovered that that lady in Lachine, Quebec lied to me. The customs were 12 km away from that place. I made the necessary at customs and charged 0$. What a cheap company, they want your money by all means.

I sent the paper stamped by email to DHL, they answered the following: "Thanks for sending stamped paperwork, duty and tax invoice has been cancelled and delivery station has been notified." From that you understand that they charge you much much more than real fees. STAY AWAY. From now on I'll never let DHL to put their hand in my pocket, I encouraged everybody to clear your product directly from customers, who are very open minded and took 5 min in total.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Two weeks ago I began receiving calls from DHL to schedule a delivery time for a shipment from Pakistan. The voice message stated the driver was trying to reach a man named Kevin who lived in an apartment in Boston. Problem was, I am not Kevin and I never lived in Boston! Additionally, I never ordered anything from Pakistan, which is why I ignored the calls in the first place. After the 15th call and 9th voice mail, I decided to answer the 16th call and inform the representative that they have the wrong phone number on the file. The representative apologized for the mix up and noted the file.

The very next day, I got three additional calls from DHL wanting to schedule the delivery. When I took the fourth call and explained the situation to the agent he got very upset, accused me of lying, and that I will accept delivery today. I immediately hung up the phone and blocked the number. To my surprise, he called right back on another line, and demanded that I schedule the delivery or, and I quote, "I will come to your apartment and kick the ** out of you!" I have now contacted the local authorities to investigate this matter and filed complaints with Consumer Affairs and the BBB. Needless to say, DHL needs to get their business practices in order, and stop harassing people - especially people who are not responsible for their mess.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Paid for a 2 day shipping on the 3rd of October and today is the 9th of October and my package has been sitting in their warehouse for the past 2 days and still no package yet. :( Definitely useless company. I would not recommend them for nothing. Take your money to USPS, FedEx or UPS. They will sure have your package safe and on time.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Shoutout POLISH DHL office, I'm going to sue them. THEY LOST MY PASSPORT AND I MISSED THE FLIGHT AND LOST 2000$ TICKETS! I ordered "Saturday delivery package" to pick up my passport from the embassy in Warsaw in Friday and deliver it to Krakow on Saturday. I called twice before the day of delivery to customer service to provide all details and to be sure that the courier has all needed information. They convinced me that everything is ok and courier has all info and my passport will be on time.

On Friday I got the email saying my passport has been taken from the embassy. On Saturday morning I called the customer service and they said my passport is still is in embassy. Later they found that the courier created a new order with Standard delivery instead of Saturday delivery and THEY EVEN DIDN'T NOTIFY ME THAT MY ORDER WAS CANCELLED. The whole Saturday I was trying to find my passport and was calling the customer service. I took the train and went to Warsaw. BUT NOBODY EVEN WAS TRYING TO FIND MY PASSPORT! When I arrived to Warsaw they said my parcel is already in Krakow, but nobody is going to give it to me because it's not Saturday package.

Thanks God, I got my passport on Monday evening, and the cost of the delivery was for Saturday package. So they forgot about Saturday delivery package, but they didn't forget to charge me for that. Of course nobody answered me about my complaints. I can be sure this company doesn't care about anything: not about the service they should provide, not about customer relationship, not even about their reputation. It's my mistake too, I shouldn't trust such important document to any third party company and should to pick up the document by myself. And I should read reviews about them before, nobody trust them. I'm just wondering how they got license and can't do such simple job.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I would select zero stars if possible. They are worse than useless. The van pulled up outside my house (the driver noticed me waiting at the door for him). He then jumped in the back of his DHL van... for about 10 minutes! Then hopped back out, looked at me, jumped back in the driver seat, then drove off. No parcel to myself or any neighbours and no explanation or apology. A delivery service that can't even find the parcel in the van and so gives up and drives away. Then phone them up and get the usual "it's someone else's fault" lines and "we don't know when it will come for delivery". She even said that she can't phone the local depots... they can only email them apparently!! Haha! I will be avoiding purchase of anything if I have to use DHL. If you're a business then take heed. Offer a DPD service instead. They might bash the parcels about a bit but at least they can actually do their one singular job of delivering a parcel.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I seen that company used DHL to ship and I immediately read the reviews on this and other sites. I seen a lot of bad reviews and I got super nervous about my shipment. However the package came on time and was not altered in any way.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

So thanks to this delivery company, I might not order from the online store that I have ordered from ever again (I guess they only go through them). I ordered for my package to be here with a one day shipping and they still have yet to deliver it (it's Tuesday and I ordered my package last Thursday). They never update their information accordingly and customer service is very unhelpful. They don't respond to emails until the very last minute. Im not even sure why they are still in business because they are HORRIBLE! Please check who delivers your packages that you order so you can steer free from this company!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Package was delivered at wrong address whereas correct address was mentioned on the document envelope. When I contacted the customer agent, he said sorry and will try to find the same driver to obtain the package from wrong address. They did not provide me any assurance, whether / when they would be able to find the package and deliver it to my address. This was very critical document and cannot bear the lost. Really frustrating and not sure, what to do next.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

After reading all the comments I guess I won't never receive my documents. They have lost everything of mine. Do not send anything through this company if you don't wanna lose it. Their staff are liars and irresponsible. I have no idea how they can do this. It has caused me immense mental pressure.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Don't waste your money. DHL is very unreliable when it comes to shipping documents. And they are very expensive. I shipped legal documents to the Philippines and I was told it would arrive in 5-7 business days. Two weeks passed and nothing. I went to their representative and complained about this, I was told they will track it but never heard from them.

I finally asked my 70 year old mother to check it from their end in the Philippines. She had to take a public transportation that took 2 hours drive from where they live. Voila! The package is sitting in the DHL office in Legazpi City and she was told that the reason why they did not deliver the package is because there is no telephone number. The address is clearly on the package, no one asked me to give them the telephone number of the recipient when I shipped it and if they need it, DHL could have contacted the branch where it was originally sent for shipment so they can ask me about the phone number of the recipient. On top of this, I complaint via telephone and I was told someone is going to contact me but it's over a week now and nobody contacted me by phone. I also wrote a complaint on their website and again, no one dared to contact me.

I contracted DHL to DELIVER my documents but instead, it was PICKED UP because they are so irresponsible with handling their customers. I asked for a partial refund but nothing from their end. If there is a ZERO star, I would have put ZERO. Don't ever use DHL again. Very unreliable, unprofessional, and expensive. Go ship your documents and packages somewhere else.

DHL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.

• Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.

• Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.

• DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.

• Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.

• Best for: DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs