2. Moving
  3. Shipping Companies

3.8/5 (1540 ratings)

About DHL

DHL Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Original review: May 17, 2021

DHL apparently doesn't believe in delivering their packages. My package was sent from England, I paid a lot for my stuff and shipping. It was sent on a Friday and they had it on a truck by Monday for delivery. A week later they still haven't delivered it. In fact I signed online so in the event I wasn't home it could be delivered and one day the driver said attempted delivery, no one present. That was a lie, there is someone here EVERYDAY. THEN, they claim their drivers deliver up to 2130 hours (9:30pm), how is that professional? In my opinion, the driver should be fired and one of the supervisors should deliver my package personally.

Original review: May 17, 2021

DHL Express Canada is one of the worst international couriers. The customer service department has employed a bunch of individuals who are rude, impatient and have no knowledge of the service they provide. Do not pay for express with any company who deals with DHL, you will be wasting your money paying for express. DHL is very slow when it comes on to delivery products that have been assigned for express delivery.

Get buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2021

Like many other reviews I, too, will say that this company has to be the slowest and most unreliable shipper I've ever used (and will not use again). Packages sit with them for days before they are transferred to the USPS for delivery. Why even bother with DHL at all as a shipping partner - go straight to the USPS!

Original review: May 5, 2021

This is my 2nd bad delivery experience with DHL. This time it cost me over $800, they lost my order and their insurance didn't even cover the cost of the shipping of the part, I'll NEVER use them again, this was their 2nd chance, ship with them at your own risk.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I have been waiting for my order. Always received orders quickly until they used this company. Still waiting and it has been in the same place for 5 days according to the tracking!!!! Cannot believe it, just awful.

Original review: April 28, 2021

Unpaid since February. Kali ** assured me she had received the invoices and they were submitted. They were to be paid by ACH and I sent all the proper paper work, copy of voided check and W-9. Now you are telling me you haven't received the invoices or won't honor them because you received them through QB Intuit via email? I need a phone call from your AP department ASAP so this can be taken care of. Thank you.

Why after 3 months are we only now finding this out? A real live person needs to call us with a real live answer, this seems like a canned response and delaying tactic. Do all the people that owe you money get the same “pay us when you feel it” luxury? We are a small business and have provided a service, paid our vendors and employees for what we provided you and now all profit from the job is going away. I am glad that there is a place for people like your AP dept can work and I am sure you don’t wait 3 months for your paycheck.

Original review: April 21, 2021

DHL - Post codes confuse us. I’m only rating DHL one star because minus stars aren’t possible. I thought other couriers were bad, but DHL are without a doubt the worst courier I’ve ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I ordered a new phone through my business and the driver said my 75 year old house was “inaccessible” - at least that’s what the tracking info said. I rearranged delivery for today and the driver arrives over an hour earlier than DHL had texted, obviously at the only time I was out today. That’s when the fun and games started. The driver left the package on my neighbour's doorstep, then took it back, even though my neighbour asked him to leave it. He of course denied it, even though I have the footage in glorious 4K high definition.

You cannot get through to DHL’s “customer service” until after the delivery time has passed. Now as he was early, by the time they condescended to allow me a (telephone) audience, this was already a good two hours after the driver had refused to leave the package with my neighbour (I might add at this juncture, that this was even after I confirmed that he should leave it with said neighbour).

As my order was a company order, it “failed data protection” because it’s in the company’s name and not my own, despite the fact that it is run from my home address and I am a director (the wife is the other). Needless to say after this delightful exchange, my conversations with “customer services” would have made a sailor blush and would require a “15” certificate at least should they decide to listen to said calls for “training and quality purposes”. Training, maybe. Quality? Not from DHL, not by a long shot. On the plus side, as my business expands, I can tell you who definitely will not be couriering my parcels. I wouldn’t trust them to deliver a newspaper, let alone anything of value. If you’ve read this far, go elsewhere for your courier needs: anywhere will do. This is the absolute bottom of the barrel, so it’s only up from here.

Original review: April 20, 2021

First they didn't follow instructions nor call, did not buzz or come to my door, instead gave my package away to the first signature available. And now I have to wait 2 hours to have have someone call me back so I can put in a claim for my things. They messed up!!!! But now I have to wait another 3 weeks on top of the 3 weeks I was waiting for the package for this to be resolved and probably another week before I see any justification. I'm not impressed.... Especially since I was suppose to have received the package the day before....

Original review: April 19, 2021

Calling them was the worst experience with any shipping companies! I’ve got an insured express package supposedly arriving on a Thursday according the tracking!! But they said the address has no apartment #. So I updated online with the link they provided immediately shortly after I received the notification on the same day. And I called right after to confirm that they have the updated address. And I was told that they’d try to deliver on the same day if they have time if not it would be 8am-12pm on Friday. So then I asked what’s the end of day time they would deliver until? So just in case they had time to deliver on Thursday I will be there to sign it. They said 9pm. So I waited waited till 9pm hoping they’d make it. Well. It never came either on Thursday or Friday morning like they told me it for sure would!!!!

Tracking status was also stuck on “exception” still inquiring about the address info!! So I called AGAIN Friday afternoon to ask what’s the scheduled date??? This time I was told for some reason it was not set to delivery yet and he will file a claim and he also confirmed the address info was received on Thursday (so then why was it not set to delivery?). So I asked if they could update the tracking status so I can get an estimated time??? The guy said they will and FOR SURE it will be delivered to me on friday. BUT informed if I don’t receive any tracking updates by 3pm to call again to check. (I really didn’t want to). So at 3pm I had to call AGAIN since nothing came and there was no updates no phone calls NOTHING!!! (Waited 2 days for this package while I could be out doing other important things.)

So then, at 3pm I was told since the delivery change was made around noon (last time when I called) the package didn’t make it onto the truck and it was rescheduled to Monday! I was like... "Ok I thought you said it will be for sure delivered today???" So Monday came with all these frustrations dealing with lies from these customer service people. I CALLED AGAIN (so I could get some updates on an estimated time hoping I don’t need to stay home for the whole freaking day). They told me between 10am -2pm and now it’s past 4pm. I am sitting here still waiting and decided I should write this review... In conclusion, lessons learned. Never call DHL. They don’t know what they are doing or talking about! Just wasted my time calling 4 times just to get myself even more confused about the situation. I should just sit at home and just wait for it instead. :)

Original review: April 10, 2021

Stating that DHL is awful is a huge understatement. Tried following all online instructions to pay customs duties. Impossible because every way DHL states to pay duties does not work. Trying over the phone you only get a recording basically that they are understaffed and sorry. I will no longer order anything from overseas with a business that only ships DHL. The added stress dealing with DHL is just not worth it.

DHL author review by ConsumerAffairs

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.

• Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.

• Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.

• DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.

• Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team