DHL

Compare Shipping Companies

Research top Shipping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A relative in Germany was supposed to receive a mail delivery from UK which he wanted to receive at his college. Unfortunately the college was closed when DHL tried to deliver. Rather than taking it back to the depot for a re-delivery the driver stated on his scanner that a NEIGHBOR received the delivery. No name, no house number, no note in the mail box, nothing. Also, the digital signature has been captured but for some reason it is not accessible. We have no idea where that mail went!

Took time from work for required signature for delivery scheduled today. Told by company representative yesterday delivery between 1:30-3:30 pm... Called to check on delivery time... Informed today by representative that item will be delayed for 3 additional days. No communication. No customer consideration.

I placed an order with Amazon on April 1. The item was estimated to arrive April 5-7. On April 5, I received a text from DHL indicating that it would be delayed until April 10. I changed the delivery address to an alternate address as would not be at original delivery address, and received confirmation it had been changed to be delivered on April 11. On April 7, I received a text that it was out for delivery. I called to confirm the address and was told it had missed a scan and was on the way to original address. As it required a delivery signature, I stayed home ALL DAY. Late that evening, the status was updated to Recipient refused delivery, which was not true unless they delivered to incorrect address. I worked with the Amazon seller who contacted DHL, and they indicated it would be delivered to the alternate address as requested on April 11.

On April 11, the status was still showing as Recipient refused delivery. I called DHL and spoke with 2 reps, who indicated they did not know where the package was, and it would take 24-48 hours to contact the DHL facility. They assured me I would hear from them by 5pm the next day (April 12). Later that day it was updated to With Delivery Courier. So of course I stayed home again ALL DAY, and it was never delivered. That evening the status was updated to Recipient Moved. Which is ridiculous as I had 2 other packages delivered to me yesterday from Amazon by UPS and USPS. Next day status updates to indicate it went to incorrect facility.

I emailed DHL CEO yesterday and received a reply from the "Executive Response and Social Customer Care" rep. This was after I was on hold for 15 minutes to talk to a supervisor who never called me back. Delivery was promised for today by Executive Response member ~ and now I see it had been shipped back to Cincinnati where it was a week ago. How is it possible that a package can spend a week bouncing between every destination but my front door? I have never in my life had an issue with FedEx, UPS or USPS. If there is a delay, they are able to identify the package location in real time and will deliver at the earliest possible time the next day.

I have no idea if or when I will ever receive this package. There is a delivery signature required, and while I was told I could remove that option, who in their right mind would do so given the ineptitude up to this point with delivery. For all I know, a driver could toss it off the truck and mark delivered, and I would have no recourse. My experience with DHL is such that I would never purchase an item if I knew this was the carrier. I can't believe in this day and age with all the technology available that DHL can't do better in delivering packages and maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. They really don't seem to care at all ~ and this goes all the way to the top.

My express package was confirmed to be delivered on 04/07/17 but they did not drop it off since nobody was there in the house to sign it so it was fine for me at first. I called customer representative and scheduled it to be delivered to my workplace on 04/11/17 since I am there 8 hours during the day. To my dismay, they did not deliver it because they were not sure of the new address (which I totally did not understand why). So I let it go and called customer service again to have it rescheduled on 04/12/17 to the same address but to my disappointment, they were still not able to deliver due to another reason. I called customer service again and they promised that they will deliver it on 04/14/17. I just hope they will do good with this 3rd promise from them. For this reason I will not recommend shipping with DHL nor will I ever ship with them ever again.

I have been with DHL for 5 years. In the beginning DHL was fantastic, but by the years it went from brilliant to extremely poor. As I am on medication from South Africa I need to get it every month from abroad, because it is the law. I cannot get say 3 months medication in one delivery. It must be only one month at a time. It cost me an fortune but I do need it to live. The problems started when one of my medication packets was only 15 tablets in and not 30. I called DHL and they said I must called this number and then another number and I just gave up. So the next month came and again the same medication packet had only half the amount in. I called again my pharmacy in South Africa and they said if this are going to continued once more they will be by law not allowed to send my medication because it is very high scheduled drug that go missing from them to me.

I called DHL again, and they said I must asked the sender of the parcel. They really don't gave me any help at all. Today was my delivery date for my new medication parcel. Then suddenly everything changed. Instead of delivery it went to an red flag to say parcel been held due to no payment for import. So I called DHL and the lady told me, "Sorry your parcel will be here kept for 24 hours as it is been tag as an red flag on DHL computer systems." So I told her that is impossible and that I already paid the 19 pound. She told me that it has nothing to do with any payment, and that DHL do this very much lately with all the parcels.

I was so shocked about it, and asked her to whom I can speak to because this is my daily medication we are talking about and not an box of chocolates. She told me I can talk to her manager but nothing can be done. The parcel is red flagged so I just have to wait until maybe tomorrow. After an bit over 5 years dealing with DHL every month and cost me 120 pound minimum every month just for delivery of my monthly medications I had finally enough. There must be an better and cheaper way to get my medication to me in time, and not to suffer without it. Thanks to DHL!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

I sent a package by DHL Express Easy International from Germany to my husband who was on business trip in Taipei, Taiwan. Before I paid Eur 69,90 for a package of 100 grams by DHL Express Easy, I checked thoroughly into the website. It says 2 days to Taipei. Two days after, the package had not arrived. It is shown in the tracking that the package went from Germany to East China Area, then Zhejiang, then back to East China Area, then Hong Kong. It is clearly written that the shipment arrived at incorrect facility in Zhejiang. I called DHL customer service to complain. Instead of an apology to me, he said that the package finally arrived on the 5th day anyway whether it was 2 days or 5 days. He further said that 2-Days delivery on the brochure was only an indication, not a guarantee. DHL obviously advertises its express service that it cannot deliver and does not feel responsible. The story goes on.

On the 5th day my husband checked out from the hotel, at that time not hearing anything from DHL when the package would actually arrive. Then someone from the hotel traced him back to pick up the package, though he did not authorize anyone to receive the package on his behalf. He spent 65 Euro for a taxi to go back and forth to pick up the package. I also complained to DHL about this and referred a clause on DHL brochure and website that this Express Easy shipment will only be sent to the recipient personally or to an authorized person.

The customer service responded by saying DHL only delivers door to door, no time to find the recipient. Then I knew that it was just hopeless to spend another minute to complain, and I hanged up. I could have gone to a Consumer Center in Germany and fight for the consumer right, but it would cost me another 1-2 days. I rather share this experience to the world. DHL is unprofessional, irresponsible, and customer unfriendly.

I had a package of sample plastic pens with the value of less than $2. I was told to "pay $20 for taxes and fees outstanding on your delivery." Estimated delivery was 29 March. I called DHL On 30th at 9:26 and I spoke with an agent and she told me that she could wave $6 and told me to pay the delivery guy with debit or credit. The delivery guy came to my office with a high speed and told me to pay $20 because nothing is updated for him. I called DHL again and they told me they had no idea whom I talked to and I have to pay full amount. If someone told me not to pay $6, she is responsible for it. How is this possible that DHL has no record of that! The new agent told me that she could do the same thing and waive some amount but I have to go to Richmond from North Van and pick up my parcel. I AM NOT GOING TO USE DHL ANYMORE.

Long story as short as possible... I placed an order, the order came from China. It was delivered to #DHL and once they received it the package was lost... I pulled the delivery receipt and it stated that it was dropped off at the front door (no signature) then when I followed up on my package and requested an investigation... 3 days later they tell me that the package was given to an African American girl that looked to be about 13 years old. I have no children that live with me, but there are children in the neighborhood. When I told them that no children live with me they had no excuse. They stated that I would have to file with the shipper to get my money back... and I informed them that it wasn't the shipper that lost the package it was #DHL that lost the package and that they should be responsible for paying for it and that they were not going to contact the shipper.

So I am out my money, my package and my time. I will never, never, never, ever.. use #DHL again. If I want to order an item and if they ship with DHL I will use a different carrier, even if it cost more. #DHL sucks... period. BUYER BEWARE. If you want or even need your item DO NOT USE DHL. You've been warned. I wish someone warned me.

Our father-in-law, an ethnic minority unfamiliar with the process of couriering items, went to DHL to send us two small items. The DHL clerk took complete advantage of the situation, not informing him of any of the options available to him, and placed the two small items in an oversized box that, surprise, surprise, cost my father-in-law an exorbitant fee as they charge by box size rather than weight (what was a total of 4 ounces). My father-in-law had to drive home (an hour away) to get enough money to pay the exorbitant pricing he was lead to believe was his only option. Had the clerk been honest, my father-in-law would of had enough to pay for proper packaging and wouldn't have needed to take that extra trip.

After filing a complaint with DHL, I received a message from their "Executive Response and Social Customer Care for DHL Express" who 'looked into the situation' and, claiming there wasn't anything wrong with how the situation was dealt with, went on to say "We have a very limited selection of packaging available for customers wanting to bring their package to our facility". So... a courier facility that deals exclusively with couriering PACKAGED ITEMS has a "very limited selection of packaging available"?? Also, she refused to address the fact that he was lead to believe the packaging and pricing was standard and wasn't made aware of other, more reasonable, options that were available to him.

A DHL clerk knowingly taking advantage of an older, ethnic minority customer unfamiliar with the process is one thing; A company representative justifying the dishonest act is completely another. DHL - I hope that extra $$ was worth the loss of customers that will be happy to take their business elsewhere - permanently.

I booked a DHL express Collection and delivery to Amsterdam with the premium delivery guarantee for pre 9 AM. This was for a very important tender in Amsterdam and 11 AM was the absolute deadline. I was convinced that with the premium guarantee and the two-hour delay between the delivery time and deadline I could rest assured that this would not fail.

However DHL were able to mess this up and they delivered the package at 11:50... Our disappointment after preparing for days for this tender is obvious but I decided to remain calm and call DHL to at least get the 50 GBP refunded. A friendly lady called Kerry apologized for their failure and committed to refund me for the costs incurred. However, when I received the confirmation email I noted to my surprise the cheapo's at DHL had decided that I would only get the premium cost back which was 18 GBP. Utterly disgraceful and pointless. I told them to keep the 18 GBP and we will not be using their services again.

When I was expecting a deliver from DHL with very important documents send from my mother from Sri Lanka to here she did big mistake choosing DHL service. They did attempt to deliver first day march 07 I was at work, I called customer service they suggested to deliver to my work where Fort Lauderdale International Airport which is ideal for me, since I got work every day and I live by myself. I gave the address to deliver. Never deliver. Called again found out courier came and left because address was written wrong, then corrected it to deliver again following day. Same thing never came. I had been calling many times to customer service. Always have different answer, once said driver did not have parking so he left, I told them call me I can come outside to receive it or go down to Miami office which about one hour drive for me. They said not possible.

Have to make another request for pick up. Both days I stayed after my work until 7pm expecting delivery. Second day I realized something wrong. Talked to supervisor. Found out package is sitting in Miami office. He said he called Miami nobody picking up. That's where I decided to drive to Miami before close, because I need that documents very badly. Time was running out. When I picked up my package I asked the guy at counter. He said package never moved last two days was sitting there. My question why all those lies from customer service. That was bad service. If I did not go there to pick up listening to customer service that package still sitting there. Never DHL again, I had to sign and to send back those documents urgently, used different courier delivered without having any problems.

I ordered some goods from Tunisia. My package was opened and two products from my order were stolen. I have contacted DHL in Italy over 6 times in the last two weeks. Although their website says they will reply within 24 hours no one has contacted me. It's absolutely disgraceful that you pay so much for such a terrible service. The delivery cost was 200 euros.

DHL has the worst customer service than any other courier. They answer the phone with no phone etiquette, no greeting, the guy puts you on hold and transfers you while in the middle of talking. Then their reps are not knowledgeable about their policies. They made me miss work, only to not deliver my package the day is was supposed to be delivered. When I asked to speak to a supervisor to get clarity of their policies of waiving my shipping fee for the inconvenience of their delay, I get hung up on. Finally, I called back to speak to the rude rep's supervisor, and he sides with him making excuses that their phone is tricky and he couldn't have hung up on me. Clearly he hung up after asking for a supervisor! This is a terrible courier service and I won't be ordering from any vendor who deals with them!

I was expecting a package that's suppose to be deliver at my home yesterday. After waiting the whole day I received another text message and saying that they put the incorrect apartment number so they weren't able to deliver it. I wasn't aware of the prior at that when they said they would deliver it I'm assuming they have all the information correctly. I took off from work just to get this package... When I call customer service which they are extremely rude and unhelpful including Sarah and the manager Ariel ID number ** who's supposed to be the manager. Doesn't apologize for the inconvenience and she cut me off every time when I want to talk. I felt like I'm getting whooped by someone I don't know. I work customer service too but I never see such a horrible experience. Never sent anything and I don't recommend for anyone DHL again!!!

DHL will bill you an arm and a legs for their services. My order was $150 value and I paid $19 for shipment. DHL ask me to pay an additional $66 upon delivery. It's fair to say that DHL is running unethical enterprise.

I ordered a product that was shipped from San Diego, CA to Buffalo NY. It took 3 days to even leave the DHL Facility. After that it took 8 days to get from the facility to someplace in NJ. After waiting over a week for my package to come, DHL DELIVERED THE PACKAGE TO THE WRONG PLACE IN THE WRONG STATE!!! I am not happy with DHL and I will start ordering my products with FedEx or UPS shipping if I get the option (Normal companies I ship with). DHL is terrible and doesn't know what they're doing at all. This was completely unacceptable because the package I had coming was something my brother needed. It's 4 days after they misdelivered my package and it's only in Albany NY. I'm not happy at all.

I got the notification "Delivery attempted; recipient not home" at 16:31. Yet, there was someone present at this time. Called support and they told me they tried to contact the driver but they didn't respond, but they left a message. Then at 18:00, my ability to reschedule stopped. (Greyed out) I tried to contact them again, but they are out of office now. Absolutely horrible.

My complex no longer accepts packages from DHL because of past problems with DHL. On this occasion the driver left a package with a neighbor (not an immediate neighbor, one several doors down). This neighbor didn't offer to take the package, they were asked to. A neighbor that is often out of town. I never received a delivery notice, no email, no text, not even a note on the door, nothing to say the package had been delivered. The original shipper couldn't verify the package had been delivered til nearly a week after. The DHL tracking system simply said "delivered". There was no indication to whom it was delivered, no name, not "left with a neighbor", not "left with management", nothing, just "delivered". Not until this neighbor finally came to me did I know where the package was. This is not the way deliveries should be made.

I had an urgent package from KL Malaysia to UK. I telephoned DHL Malaysia who informed me of the deadline for delivery. The package took less than 48 hours from Malaysia-Singapore-Germany -UK. On arrival in the UK it took 3 days to be delivered to the destination. The package arrived in the UK and lay untouched in the DHL depot for over 24 hours and eventually delivered three days late. First DHL claimed bad weather. Then DHL said they do not work weekends. Although DHL misled me they are now hiding behind the small print. I have asked for contact details of the CEO in Malaysia but DHL have refused tell me! Based on this poor experience I cannot recommend anyone to use DHL.

I had ordered protein online from U.S.A. At the time of ordering I paid product charges + shipping charges that is 4800 rs, no other charges were pop up for my order. When order delivered to me courier person took 3280 rs from me as duty and taxes... which is not at all communicated to me when I spoke to product company and courier company. They said "this is not in our hand, this charges are asked by your country and that nonsense stuff"... so wherever you see DHL is vendor for any order then confirm all other charges before placing order. I know this is not only courier company fault but also product company is responsible for this. My question is if courier company add their shipping charges while ordering then why not indicating duty and taxes charges to the customer. I will never go with DHL in future.

I spent £85 to send a gift to my mother in Brazil and parcel is stuck in Sao Paulo. Delivery agent asking for £150 to release parcel and mentioned the rate (DHL) for delivery was not paid!!! Unbelievable! I now find out parcel from UK has gone to Belgium, then The Netherlands, Germany and now in Madrid. Delivery date should have been yesterday, Feb 16, but still parcel stuck in Madrid now for 3 days! I paid for express delivery and so far this is slow delivery! Lack of information and confusion! I have called DHL daily and still they cannot clarify situation! This is just terrible! Please sort it out!

February 18 and my parents are called by DHL in Brazil for the fourth time alleging that parcel was in Brazil and being sent "formal" way not "express". My parents had proof it was sent express and DHL once again mentioned it was a mistake! My parents mentioned they will not be "bribed" and no money paid for a parcel that was already paid for! It seems there is something very wrong happening at DHL Brazil! It is disgraceful!

I found some car parts from a guy in Germany in eBay and decided to buy them. I asked the guy to send the parts by DHL and he did so on the 19th of January, sending me the tracking code. The packet should normally first go to Feucht from where it goes down to Greece and the whole process takes about 10 days. This packet went to Feucht then to Rudersdorf (another German packet centre some 400 kilometers away) and then back to Feucht to continue commuting between the two cities. The packet in Feucht shows as Incoming from Greece and when in Rudersdorf shows as outgoing to Greece!!!

I notified the seller - who is the sole owner of the package regardless if the recipient has paid for it or the transport expenses!!! DHL completely ignores my messages... The seller has contacted them and said they would fix it. The package stood for 2 days in Rudersdorf and then started commuting on a daily basis again. This goes on for a month. The seller requested an inquiry. We are still waiting...

My mom couldn't see who was at the door so DHL guy started talking to neighbor. When my mom opened door he was rude to her and said "Now you open the door!" And started to argue with my mother. We don't owe him anything! Do your job creep!

They came to us to open an account with them and send parcels to any place with a discounted rate. I had sent a parcel to Rawalpindi (Pakistan) earlier through TCS, billed 1260 UAE dirhams for which they were charged 3100 Pak Rs custom duty. When I couriered another parcel to the same party worth 300 UAE dirhams, DHL collect 7940 Pak Rs from them. This is really ridiculous. How can we trust these courier companies at any time. There is no one who is responsible to answer. Its almost a week and no favourable reply.

DHL has disappointed me for the last. After having an business account with them for over a month, I logged in and made the same shipment I had done a month ago. It was scheduled to be picked up at our place of business that same day before 6PM. They never showed, not even a call. Next business day I called and made a complaint and they sent someone to pick up the shipment shortly after. The next day I received a call from the receiver saying that she checked the tracking and due to bad account the shipment was going to be returned back to me (the shipper).

Very irate I called DHL and they tell me that they don't know what is going on and I needed to wait until the research team finds out what's going on. After TWO HOURS they tell me my they need more information and my account is incomplete, when I sent the EXACT same shipment one month ago. They are very irresponsible and didn't have the courtesy to call me back and tell me what information was needed to complete the shipment. I will never use their service again. Customer service was terrible.NO ONE KNEW ANYTHING, KEPT TRANSFERRING. THEIR WEBSITE ALSO NEEDS EASIER PAYING METHODS.

I sent two envelopes to NYC area containing $300 to people who had no $$ means to survive... The damned demons from the pit of hell who worked at Thamel, Kathmandu DHL Express Delivery stole all my $$. The recipients in USA found envelopes torn and $$ missing. :( Also... I noticed the staff changed persons every 15 min about. They really need to shut down this damned place. I was told by a female rep that no DHL employee is not suppose to open envelope... At all. I made sure funds were well hid and not visible. An employee... A man... Stapled and sealed both envelopes before my face. He put it in sealed DHL plastic envelope. Another employee came in. Afterwards while I was there.

Two things... First employee knew that the contents were private. And secondly... I actually had to beg for a receipt. He then told me his name. But signed another name on the receipt. The reason why I was forced to mail $$... Had real emergency in my family and they needed immediate assistance. To my dismay all Western Unions in this country could only receive and not send. I ran out of options. So was forced to mail. Assuming a risk.... I did not know the employees were such low life pieces of crap. Thereby making all Nepal look bad. Like I said before. I hope they shut down this damn place before anybody else is robbed or scammed! - Signed - mad as hell consumer! :(

This courier company is such a SCAM! For years I have received sub par service but today topped them all. Don't bother using their notifications, my DHL payment or their sign to leave package service. They don't bother giving that information to their couriers. So if you think paying your duty fees, and jumping through their hoops helps actually receive your parcel well you won't. I still don't have my parcel. They have no reason, they couldn't care less. They may send it tomorrow. Want to escalate to a team leader, don't bother.

Tactic #1. You will sit on hold. You'll notice they have a system that will remind the agent to pick up after 2 minutes. Nope she will just put you back to the on hold loop. You'll stay there good and long and finally you'll be told they will call you. Nope! They don't do that either. Start that cycle over where you call and sit on hold and retell the super pleasant story again. A real joy to pay premium fees for a courier service that is worse than Canada Post. If that was even possible. Avoid this company. We are. I actually went to the office and we cancelled our corporate account.

Worst shipping company I have ever dealt with. After going online and updating my shipping address they still sent it to the old address even though I received a email specifically stating that my information has been updated. Which now made my $1300 package sitting in front of my house on a busy street in the middle of the day. After calling and complaining the girl explains to me that I should have called in to confirm my shipping address has changed. EVEN THOUGH I already received email confirmation telling my address has been updated. Absolutely ridiculous. And to boot someone decided to write NSR (No signature required) on my package with pen. Since I paid duties already I guess that means it's fine to just throw on my doorstep. Never been more disappointed in a company. Glad I was able to get off work early and recover my package before any local high schools got out nearby.

We sent a big parcel (10kg) from Germany to Iran and paid 60€ to DHL for shipment. After a month we received a link to track it in the destination country with a different tracking number. It was a Chinese website and thank to Google Translate we found that the parcel is in China. We went to the DHL office for several time but the only answer we received is that we could fill up a complaint form. We did so, and after a month we received a letter asking the contents of the parcel for a refund/compensation. We listed some and the total worth of 200-300€ (of course you do not pay 60€ to ship something priced 1€) and then DHL said that "your parcel will be returned."

After more than a month, the online tracking says that the parcel is back in Germany but the recipient is unknown. How come? DHL has already sent us three letters!!! Do they finally return the parcel? Are the parcel and its contents in the original form? Do they refund the 60€ fee? Nobody knows. My message to DHL: please do not promise what you could not achieve! If you can't rely on your partners in other countries, please do not play with customers. Simply say no, and we will look for alternative solutions.

I sent a tracked package from Finland to Germany (both EU countries) on the 29.12.2016. I followed the tracking every day, and on the 4th January it was stated it was in Rudersdorf parcel centre Germany... And that was it, and still it is there. It has not followed on to the correct address in Frankfurt. I sent emails and probably spent a small fortune phoning DHL Germany, only to be passed from one number to the next (I think at least six different numbers before being told to phone back the first number).

Eventually I got someone to say they could not see the reason why the package has not be delivered, wtf. Why they bother to employ so many people to answer phones but cannot solve the issue??? I have since filed a complaint with them, let us see how long that takes! I can only say what I told the guy from DHL, this is the last time I will use them. I cannot stress enough the importance that someone high up in that company needs to take stock and start controlling what is happening beneath them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.
  • Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.
  • Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.
  • DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.
  • Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.
  • Best for DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.

Compare Shipping Companies