1.34/5

793 DHL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had a package that was shipped from Tennessee on 9/5/18 and to be delivered in PA on 9/11/18. As of today 9/19/18 I still have not received it. I contacted DHL eCommerce and their rep told me that my package would no longer be delivered. They do not know where my package is. It was scanned onto a truck in TN but never scanned off a truck and is lost in their system. The rep for DHL told me he has my correct delivery address in his system but he could not help me as he has no idea where my package is and I should no longer expect delivery of my package. DO NOT USE DHL SHIPPING AS THEY ARE NOT RELIABLE AND THEIR TRACKING SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Two used paperback books were sent by DHL Express service from Portland USA to Mumbai India. DHL India offices and employees demanded that recipient of the books should use false phone numbers and false email address to upload government ID and Address Proof at a website dhlindia-kyc.com. Also note that DHL actively encourages unsuspecting recipients of mail and packages to falsify government documents especially in nations in Asia, Africa and South America.

Note than in India there is absolutely no customs duty or import charges for books sent for individual use at residential address. Even for commercial importers of books the charges are nominal based on quantity and value of books. Refer **.

Not only did DHL employees engage in company sanctioned policy and practice of falsifying government documents, they demanded that the recipient of two used books of value less than US $ 15 should pay INR 2100 to receive the books sent from US sender. DHL North America offices refuse to receive complaints about this matter and say DHL India is an independent company and can do whatever they want to do under DHL brand name. DHL India employees don't speak any of the official languages such as English or Hindi and refuse to give in writing the logic or reason for their demands. They use unlisted phone numbers to make phone calls demanding false identification of recipient of the mail and false contact details of the recipient without any legal liability to themselves.

DHL global offices and website dhl.com forward all complaints registered on their website dhl.com to DHL India Offices where they use the recipient residence address and phone and government documents to further threaten and harass the recipient with the only fault of the recipient being that someone sent him used books as a gift.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

DHL is the worst company I've ever dealt with. They brought two packages to Argentina and abandoned them saying they lacked invoices. Sender demonstrated otherwise, to no avail. DHL Argentina wasn't budging after a month of calling and emailing. Put both packages for return. Done after 8 months. In the meantime, sender went bankrupt and closed in June. Tried many times to update the return address. Refused. Packages returned to original address, which is a DHL SC warehouse. Since sender left the facility in June and packages returned in August, packages should have been rejected. No, they were received by DHL SC personnel. But they refuse to reroute the packages, even after bankrupt sender asked specifically to do so. Both packages may now be lost forever. USD 500 in goods.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The parcels being delivered to my place keeps getting lost. I have already lost over 100 euros because of this. This is the second time a parcel has gone missing in the last 4 months. Is this a new business model of DHL where the courier loses/misplaces the parcel with a brand new smartwatch, pays 22 euros as compensation and then maybe resells the same brand new smartwatch online for 90 euros? Also what I find very suspicious is the delivery time. The expected delivery time was between 14:00 and 18:00 and then magically at 18:01, the parcel gets delivered (updated on the website). The parcel was delivered with no signature at precisely 1 min after the delivery window. Amazing. If someone wants to lose money, use DHL. Guaranteed money loss.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

If I could give it a 0 stars I would, the worst company I've ever worked with. They delivered my packages to wrong door and I called them multiple times and they couldn't do anything to fix it...the worst delivery company ever...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Shipping pkg from Dallas, TX to Tyler, TX... sent from Dallas to Grand Prairie dist center, only to send back to Dallas post office, to be sent to Tyler post office! HOW STUPID IS THAT!!! 4 days to get a pkg 100 miles away!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I frequently buy products from overseas and whenever the parcel reaches DHL, that is a dead end. They take the parcel and store it without ever attempting delivery and without leaving a slip to tell me they have my parcel. My husband and I work from home and are always home during the weekdays. This has happened repeatedly. It seems to be their policy. They will not release your parcel without the slip from them, but they never provide the slip, leading to a catch-22 where you cannot get your parcel. They also provide no tracking info to the seller or to me, so I or the seller cannot track where any parcels are. Every time this happens, I give this feedback back to the original seller, hoping that some day, none of them will do business with DHL.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I've placed an order and my order was delivered almost on time, however, I was surprised to find out that I have to pay over 44% of my shipment's price for customs fees, which btw happens every time I use DHL. I had to reject the shipment and contact the shipper and everything went smoothly. Couple of days later my shipper notified me that the refund is going to take longer than what I expected it to so I decided to get the shipment back, I called DHL and the customer support told me it should be a very easy, quick, and smooth process to go through.

Once I paid the pending customs fees I've received an emailing of delivery confirmation, yet my item was not delivered on the mentioned date. I called next day and they assured me that it will be delivered on that day, again it never happened. I called again and they told me there's a problem with my shipment and it won't be delivered until after the weekend and that there's a specialist going to call me and solve this problem for me, which never happened! I needed this shipment for a wedding am attending this weekend, and after 2 confirmation emails of delivery my shipment is still in Hamilton airport and they want me to go pick it up from there or wait till after weekend? I paid extra $15 for the DHL service, which was supposed to be a guaranteed service no matter what, I had to pay $75 for customs fees, and I didn't even receive my dress after all! Worse shipping experience ever, I wish I can rate them below a one star.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Sending me a text in the middle of my work day to get items left at door - I send the 1st but lo and behold "RockAuto" shipped my order in two sections yet DHL ** couldn't leave the 2nd package at my door even after getting the hard yea - always leave everything at my door! So I missed my parts to install leaving me stranded all weekend! ** and a shotty way to run a business.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was waiting on a Sunday from 1 pm when I got DHL text message saying my parcel will be delivered today, call DHL at 1 pm to confirm then again at 3:53 to make sure it's coming. At 4 pm a delivery driver just left a "undelivered" note to my door, I DID NOT HEAR THEM KNOCKING, I'VE BEEN STARING AT A WINDOW THAT SEE PEOPLE that walk to my door! Within 7 minutes after calling you I have manage to miss this driver! It's unbelievable, how am I to be compensated for waiting for this person for 4 hours that didn't even KNOCK on my DOOR.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Dictionary meaning of schedule. Arrange or plan to take place at a particular time. I received an email saying my package was scheduled to arrive on Friday between 8 am and 5 pm. It didn't arrive. I phone customer services on Saturday, she said the package is in Auckland, a different city from where I live. The package will arrive on Monday. Why does DHL send. How can a delivery be scheduled to be delivered on the Friday when it's not even in the country or the city you live in. COME ON DHL CHANGE the WORDING on your emails to customers or don't send an email until you can deliver the package. People stay home or disrupt their lives waiting for a SCHEDULED delivery.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

DHL has awful customer service. February they broke my package before I received it, they repacked broken bag with tape and sent to me without any excuse. Results they lost or stole almost all of my custom made souvenirs; that were hand-made for gifts. The cost was of $150. DHL did not reimburse me in any way. I am soon to file a complaint with Consumer Protection Services.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Don't waste your time and money. Scheduled delivery of a very important document on Saturday, waited for the whole day, nothing arrived, no notifications, SMS, nothing! Awful service, I'll never use it again.

Original review: July 30, 2018

DHL, even the DMV has a better reputation. Please please get out of the delivery business as you do not provide the service of delivery, those that have their products delivered with DHL should get out now or you will go down with them!! Horrible excuse for a delivery service!!

Original review: July 24, 2018

DHL are awful! They charge the earth for a premium service but don't deliver! And if you want to get in touch with them you need to phone a premium number that they actually get paid from!!! So not only do they completely mess up your delivery, they then expect you to pay them to sort it out!! Totally awful company.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I am so upset. I have been waiting for my package and tracking it all day. I made sure I was home all day knowing I was getting a package since the first package they lost so this is the second time. I get a text saying I was not home so they could not deliver my package. LIAR. I would of heard my doorbell and would of got a call on my phone letting me know someone was at the gate. No missed tag on door. I’m so mad. Your customers service sucks. Even calling the company you are horrible.

Original review: July 18, 2018

DHL is horrible, customer service is horrible if you speak to a girl name Shawmala. She is horrible and have no care for the packages paid for by someone else! On 07/17/2018 I got a text stating my package was on the way. Waited outside for my package on 07/18/18 for 5 hours. During my wait time I received a message stating DHL was sorry they missed me! No one showed up. I am not blind. I know that so how the hell would I miss a big ** yellow and red truck? Or the driver who had to pass me up to get to my front door to leave the card saying they will try again another day per their service when you call them. There was no card left, no big red and yellow truck, no nothing just someone who sent a text saying, "Sorry we missed you!" If I do not get my package for my wedding DHL will be hearing from my lawyer!

Original review: July 14, 2018

Someone sent a package to me from Germany on July 3 and it is now July 14 and I have nothing. In fact I have a tracking number and I gave it to them, they cannot pull up the same information. I gave the name and destination of the package and they still cannot find it but I can on my end and it tell me the package has been in the USA since July 11 and it has NOT been updated. In fact this person used DHL to mail me packages yet it is USPS who completes the transport.

I call up DHL to ask why and they give me answers that do not make sense. There is a DHL office in the same city of Philadelphia but they tell me they cannot sometimes. They cannot complete the mailing because not enough trucks or employees, therefore they use a third party. Again I have a tracking number that brings up the info about the package but when I give them the same info they cannot pull up any information. This company should not be in business. Also the USPS office they use to complete the shipment is a total hack job. I am so beyond angry. Then people wonder why people go postal...

Original review: July 13, 2018

DHL sucks!!! The worst courier service ever. They lied about not delivering my package at the workplace when in fact we stayed up late at work just to wait for that package and yet they declared that "Consignee Premises Closed". The gate was open, our office was open and we didn't even see their truck pass by or pulled over our vicinity for them to conclude that it was close. Their customer service are very inefficient in handling this complaints too and couldn't even resolve the problem. All they can do is apologize without even taking action to resolve the case. I'm never gonna trust this again. It's a waste of time and resources.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Blown away at how awful this company is. I ordered an expensive lens from Brussels about three weeks ago. It was delivered by BPost and arrived in the states in less than a week. BPost works with DHL directly, but the incredibly rude and condescending woman I dealt with at DHL blamed USPS (surprise surprise). She told me DHL doesn't work with BPost and that I "need to be more proactive, learn how to use google, and to stop wasting her time." She literally said all of that verbatim. It took me everything I had to hang up on her without screaming at first. So here we are. The lens has been sitting at DHL since July 4th.

According to the tracking information, they contacted me on July 4th about a payment and since I was unable to be reached, the lens is being retained at their distribution center. Well, I was home until 7pm that day so that's clearly a lie. No phone call, no email, no text, no notice in the mail. Plus, I'm pretty sure DHL is closed on the 4th of July? The tracking information BPost supplied me with is also a USPS tracking number and for that reason DHL denies any involvement with this whatsoever. GUESS WHAT? THE PACKAGE HAS TO GO THROUGH DHL BEFORE GETTING TO USPS! How is it that I know more about this sorry excuse for a company than the people who work there? According to USPS tracking, the label has been created but is not yet in their system.

Again, this means DHL hasn't signed off. I had the seller contact BPost again yesterday, and they confirmed that DHL (4 miles from my house) has the package in their possession. So since they won't let me pay the import duties and deny up and down any involvement with this whatsoever, I guess I'll just give up photography for a however many months it takes to (hopefully) get reimbursed since I don't and will never have another $3,000 floating around for a replacement. Never again. Ever. Under no circumstance. Thanks for nothing you greasy, lying, parasitic cheats.

Original review: July 6, 2018

We sent a package to Bolivia on June 4, and we are on July 4, and we can have it yet. My son has been in Bolivia with no money, and no debit cards. After charging US$123.00 here in the U.S. to send 2 t-shirts ($20) and 2 debit cards, my son couldn't received the package, because they were charging an outrageous amount. First they promised they would resolve that, then they do nothing, but give excuses. They said Bolivian customs is charging 376 bolivianos (US$56, for a gift that cost no more thanUS$20), and DHL Bolivia is charging extra 280 bolivianos (US$42) for management. In total, this is around US$98 for doing WHAT?? After I already paid $123. Then trying to resolve this, I called DHL many, many times, and they promise to call back... And guess what... THEY NEVER EVER CALL BACK.

Original review: July 6, 2018

DHL company lost my package from Singapore and they very poorly, unprofessionally and unapologetically handled the matter and told me they were closing the case and I should get in touch with the vendor. Two days prior to when DHL was to supposedly deliver my package they sent me a text giving me an option to sign online and they would deliver my package in my absence. I signed online and on July 2, 2018. DHL said my package was delivered at my address and signed for by me, but I never received the package.

I then called DHL to alert them that I did not receive any package with the waybill number identified. They told me they were going to investigate and get back to me on July 6, 2018. So today a DHL agent called me on my phone and told me the package was lost and they were closing my case and I should contact the vendor in Singapore and let them know that I did not receive my package. I am sorely disappointed and dissatisfied with DHL and the way my matter was handled and I will not be using them going forward.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Medication sent urgently by shipper and DHL driver never even bothered to deliver on day s/he went out with it. Never called. Lied. Customer service never did follow through with my explicit directions for re-delivery the next day, so it never happened. Tomorrow is a holiday so maybe the next day they said. They take no responsibility for their actions nor reimbursement to shipper. Why use these lying, cheating flakes?

Original review: July 2, 2018

DHL has a very poor website layout. The website does not split the creation of a shipment information into several steps. Instead it is one long huge web form that has to be filled out over and over again. No intermediate savings points. Address book creation takes place only after payment. It took me about 4 attempts and probably an hour to get almost everything right. Then they require shippers to lie on the recipient address (possibly to Customs!).

They require a 'Company Name' even though the recipient is private. I put in 'N/A'. The label now says N/A for recipient name!!! One can only see the result AFTER payment!!! Customs information is equally confusing instead of using standard intuitive click through menus, they have text embedded links which are red instead of blue. Completely counter intuitive!!! Creating a sensible website is not difficult. Poor service.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Hello. I ordered a 2 kg package with a pool cue. On the order site, it said it will take between 3 and 5 working days to deliver the cue from Germany to Romania. I would have to say this: I have never dealt with such a professional company before. Once the cue arrived in Romania, some other carrier named "Cargus" was to take the cue from DHL and give it to me in Bucharest (where I live). So it did... DHL arrived sooner than I expected (4 days) and tomorrow I am receiving my package. DHL even sent me a mail where they said "we prepared your package for shipping to your country" before the cue even left Germany. I do not know what others have to say bad about this carrier but for me it really worked. I would surely recommend DHL to a friend in the EU. And I think I know why others have serious issues with DHL is because of the country they are in. German people do not get well with anyone...

Original review: June 28, 2018

I have 2 packages were held 3 weeks, I called first time, they said, "Your package been seized." Then I check the packages on websites said held. Then next day same held, and I am guessing, they still in process. I called them again. They said, "It is still not yet physically examined," and wow, it is already 3 days from first call. It said seized, in customs procedures, you must have physical examination to determine whether the package seize or release. Then... it keeps on and on until week 3rd.

I keep calling the DHL and the last call, DHL said, "We haven't examine your package, nor what really happens will depend on US border and custom that, authorized to deal with package" and I said... "Wow..." 2 packages only clothing and shoes for my family and it takes up to 3 weeks, they not even starts to examine, where be detained or release... I've been in DHL customer for 4 years and this never happens... Honestly people on that phones services need to be fired!!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I ordered from a company in China that uses DHL for their shipping. I ordered the product on May 21, 2018 and it was to be delivered by June 21, 2018 at the latest. However, I have still not received my product. When I call and speak to a representative from DHL I get the runaround or they try to blame the United States Postal Service. While I understand it may take awhile from ordering overseas, I do not believe that a consumer should get the runaround nor should the company try and place blame. It is very frustrating. I will not order from overseas, nor will I recommend DHL to anyone.

Original review: June 20, 2018

I was assigned to a long term stay in Farnborough UK. I sent my 4 bags from Almaty to Farnborough UK. Total weight 124 kg. The bags were picked up 22 May 18 and I made the payment 25 May 18. We are in Farnborough already 4 weeks. Today is 20 Jun 18. The bags still did not arrive. The content of the bags are simply clothes and shoes of our family. The DHL service is appalling. I would never ever recommend to use DHL again. Will try to bring the message to anyone willing to use DHL service. You try to call DHL in any city, it normally takes approx. 8 mins before somebody starts to respond after long introduction messages and diverting to anything but not to responsible people. Almaty DHL who were responsible for the shipment and expediting simply either disappeared or never respond to phone calls or mails.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Two months ago a package was sent from a PO Box in Reno Nevada. On top of the box it was said vitamins. I will give you the tracking number **. As I am writing this I have never received my package. I called DHL and Guadalajara Mexico 17 X it was supposed to email me. They were supposed to let me know what happened with the package it went into Customs. It was supposed to come out of customs and be sent to me. I finally got someone that spoke English. She sent me an authorization letter supposed to be in an attachment. It never worked. I've never got my package and I'm going to try to put this on every social media that I can cause this is horrible. I had to pay for this. You call 8772976032. They have you on hold for 2 hours. No one ever comes to the phone. If this is the way you do business it is absolutely disgusting and I will never ever use DHL again.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Bounced my parcel all around America before sending it to NZ. Instead of a direct route, DHL has passed it along every truck in America. It's gone from Oregon, to Seattle, to LA, to Ohio. Now it's going to Hong Kong. I'm not going to be using DHL USA ever again.

DHL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.

• Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.

• Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.

• DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.

• Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.

• Best for: DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs