DHL

Compare Shipping Companies

Research top Shipping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

About 3 years ago I sold an original Breitling watch through eBay to a person in Germany. Due to its value I decided not to use our postal system in Thailand. I decided to use DHL. A few days later I get a call from DHL in Germany saying my watch was a fake and they were sending it to Breitling to have it checked and it would cost me 60 euros! In the meantime my buyer was going crazy saying that I was a crook!! I told him to wait for DHL, they had made the problem. About ten days later the guy received my watch, I had no apologies from DHL for making me look like a fraud!! I know they have their own in-house customs department who seem to hold every shipment looking for money. After all this I swore never to use them again.

However I ordered some men's fragrance from a company in New York just recently, total value 35 US dollars!! I didn't realize the company used DHL, but they did. I get a call from DHL at our main Airport in Bangkok, to say I had to go to the airport to complete import papers and pay handling fees and other clearance fees before my little bottle of cologne could be released to me. The cost for me to go to the airport and back would exceed the of the item. I told them to send it back!! I've regularly bought this type of product from all over the world, never had a problem!! I will never again buy product from a company who uses DHL.

Firstly, my parcel was stuck in customs for 4-5 days, but I got a message from DHL that I would receive my parcel on time, so I opted for Signature Release. On the 5th day, I had to go out of town, and since my parcel was still somewhere in ether, I called DHL customer support twice and told them that my parcel should not be delivered before a particular date since I would be out of town! They confirmed me that the request was taken care of. But guess what, when I was travelling, I got a message that the parcel had been delivered! I had to call up my neighbor and request her to get the parcel from my front door and keep it with her till I returned. This is the second time that DHL did not heed to your requests. If that's the case, then why do they even have the option of making requests? DHL SUCKS BIG TIME!!! Their service was the best once upon a time, but it's become really bad of late!

I live in Germany. DHL is the most used delivery system here (it is linked to German Post). To begin, I ordered an item from Japan. The seller provided the tracking number, and I was able to track the package from point of origin to destination. So far, so good. To my dismay, the package arrived in Frankfurt, then was routed to Stuttgart for final delivery. The packaged was warehoused in Stuttgart, then, supposedly, sent to customs. Well, to my dismay, the package made a complete U-Turn, and was shipped back to Japan, no notice, no letter from customs, nothing.

I called the representative, nice man, polite, spoke English, told me I will receive a letter from customs because it was handed over to them. NOPE. The package NEVER LEFT THE DHL WAREHOUSE. INSTEAD, THEY SENT IT BACK TO JAPAN. No attempt was made to deliver the item, no explanation. The story is much more convoluted because this is just one instance of malfeasance by these folks. Message: DO NOT SHIP THROUGH DHL. This little fiasco will cost me an additional $70.00 to get the item resent. Meanwhile, DHL continues to do business as usual...

It was terrible experience. During whole day, I stayed at home because I received message that it would be delivered at that day and required my sign. At 11 am, I checked the status, it was delivered at 10 am. I checked everywhere, but I did not find my package. When I called to customer service, they asked me to ask my neighbors.

I ordered a hair lotion from an Italian pharmacy which delivers all over the world. The product has been blocked in Moscow; DHL claimed the lack of information about what was inside the box, then the customer service asked me if it was a hair product (so the information was there then!!). I called DHL on the phone and the operator said at first that I had to send them documents about the product (how could I send documents of a product that I have not yet received!!?), then he said that it was ok, they found the information needed and they were sending me the product the next Monday (it was still Wednesday!!). More than 10 day for only 2000 km delivery, cost 50 euro for less than 1,5kg! Unbelievable. DHL is definitely not worth using. Better go with other companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Do NOT ship your stuff with DHL. I have a package that is still on hold since May 9, it is now May 26. Every time I call, I get a different story. Customs hold, FDA hold, undergoing clearance... etc. If any readers of this post are going through the same dilemma, I suggest you call 866-600-0014 ext **. Don't call their 1-800 number, they're very unhelpful and unprofessional. The guys that answer the 866 number have more authority and can give you more information about your package and they're more pleasant to talk to.

DHL, I have been waiting for my package well over 2 hr from what I was told. Called them to find out where my package was and twice two different answer. I would never again use this company and next when I am buying a product I will find out who is delivering because if it's DHL I will not place the order. The worst delivery company ever DHL.

Worst experience of dealing with shipping people, as of yet. This company first is supposed to be an international shipping service. When I called Sunday, I got an answering service in which said the employees were in a meeting!? YOU'RE AN INTERNATIONAL SHIPPER, AND YOU DISCONNECT YOUR LINES FOR A MEETING, ridiculous. Called again in an hour as the prompt said to do so, guess what... STILL IN A "MEETING." I'm totally understanding the need for employee meetings. BUT not where no one answers the phones so that your meeting can be put in place. Overall crappy service, DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO USE THEIR SERVICES.

My story: In graduate school, purchased my textbook online, and shipper sent it from New Dehli, India to Chicago, USA. Basically left my package, without signature confirmation. WHO DOES THIS??? I live in an apartment complex in which A) No security, No cameras. I needed this book for Summer term, and because of this delay, I am now behind on my readings by two weeks. So frustrating. Just called again, and was on hold for 30 minutes before someone picked up. Now I'm supposed to wait another two hours before a tracking specialist will follow up with me. I feel like they're giving me the run-around in which, no one wants to admit to fault. So they continue to point their fingers elsewhere.

It is been a week now and my package food supplement from Philippines are not yet in Belgium and I tracked it online, it's unavailable and you called DHL many times and they said they can't locate the package. How is that happening? Last time I tracked it was Friday, my package arrived in Brussels and now where is it? Please help or else I'll ask the police for some investigation since I am not the only one who have problems with #DHLexpress.

One star is too freaking much for DHL, but they don't let you to submit without it, so I was forced to give one star. DHL is the most terrible customer service EVER!!! Not helpful, not accommodating, and never returns your calls. Every customer service representative gives you different information when you call to inquire about your package and mislead you, which prolongs the time and keeps you in total darkness. They are ALL unqualified, rude and NEVER helpful!!! They will waste your time and money!!!

The online shipment processing is not working properly; it is letting you to print a label even if you don’t fill in correctly the form. You MUST be an experiencing and VERY knowable international professional shipper in order to fill in the forms properly for your shipment abroad. They will ship your package without a custom form and never notify you about that. Even though, they mustn’t accept it to begin with. Your shipment will be stuck in customs of the country you are shipping to (in my case in Argentina) and most likely you will never get it back. They don’t help you over the phone. And when they are tired of listening your questions/requests they simply hang up on you!!! Never ever ever use DHL!!!

On 05/02/17, I ordered a Fidget Cube for my daughter as a birthday present (to be given on 05/20/17). After almost 2 weeks, I checked the site I ordered from and did a "track package" option. The DHL website claims that the left this item on 05/06/17 "in/near" my mailbox. This is impossible as I only have a mail slot on the front of my garage door. In addition, it would be illegal for them to have put it in my mailbox. I sent them 2 emails (through their own website) on 05/12/17 and 05/18/17 advising them that I wanted this found and delivered by Saturday (for the birthday party).

While I did receive automated responses to both emails claiming that I would hear something back in 24-72 hours, I still have not heard 1 single thing from them. THEY ARE A CROOKED COMPANY IN MY OPINION. Based on the amazing amount of reviews I have just read, a major amount of stuff never gets where is it supposed to with this company. Where is it all? Seems like somebody along the line is diverting or flat out stealing things. I just now tried to do another tracking using the tracking number listed on the automated emails I still have and the whole thing is magically completely gone. HMM.

I ordered a package from Amazon and DHL tracking said it would be at my home on Thursday, day I go to look to see if it was delivered. It was delivered and I find this out Thursday and the package was delivered Wednesday. They are telling me now because I never received my package and cannot get a refund. DHL said they delivered it in or at my mailbox. They don't have a mailbox key so they put it at my box. My box is outside. I believe someone in the company stole my package and claim they delivered it. Something needs to be done with DHL.

There have only used DHL 3 times and the experience was so bad that I would never use them again or recommend them to anyone I know. The first package arrived one day late because according DHL it arrived too late to be delivered, which is a lie because I saw time of arrival. The worst was the second package which arrived 5 days late due their AGENT name on the package. Customs held my $95 dollar two-day delivery due to their agent and charge was not refunded to me. THE REASON IT DID NOT CLEAR CUSTOMS WAS BECAUSE THEIR AGENT'S NAME APPEARED ON MY PACKAGE!! It needed further inspection due to agent's name. Then again after the final package was to arrive last night and it DID NOT SHOW and I now have no delivery date. Dismal service. Zero stars if I could. DO NOT USE DHL!!

I just get from China a bath curtain a value of 20 US $ and it cost me 22.25 of duty. I do not mind to pay the GST but paying DHL 10.50$ for processing fee (586), 4.25$ for transaction fee. Sorry but they screw us. They should have to contact, call us before they do anything. They have not right to overcharge. I contact them and they serve me a long email of **.

Placed order with vendor in Hong Kong. Vendor ships 2 packages under 1 waybill. No problem tracking until packages reach DHL USA. Tracking was update to show delivery 05/15/2017. Waited all day no delivery. Called DHL 7 or 8 times, keep getting same response "driver on the way", never shows up. 05/16/2017 called DHL rep says "no delivery on 05/15/2017 because part of order is missing." Delivery rescheduled for 05/16/2017. Driver shows up with half the order, tries to make me sign I refused then says maybe I can go to DHL location to pick up later. I refuse and demand he comes back with entire shipment.

DHL tracking was then updated to show a delivery attempt on 05/15/2017 but no one home. This is a total lie and comment was not entered until 05/16/2017. I get a call from DHL and rep keeps trying to convince me to sign for half the order so they won't have any liability. I refused again and demanded they do their job and find missing part of order and deliver and initially agreed. Still waiting for solution. DHL irresponsible, not honest.

DHL Woodside, NY = Disgusting Service. This is an absolute disgrace. The fact that there are so many of these complaints given to DHL and posted on this site is a testament to the fact that DHL Shipping doesn't give a rat's butt about this. I waited ALL DAY for a package, from 8 AM until 11 PM. The website said, "With Courier" since 5:30 AM and it was never updated. How many times must people complain about this crappy company before they address the issues? What needs to happen is that people need to ask their merchants to ship via another way. I would rather pay more than to deal with this joke of a business.

I put a order in for $1,030. They said it was shipped. They said it was coming to my house then all of a sudden they added another thousand on to my credit card. I never received anything and now I'm in a fight to get my money back. DHL is the worst company ever. Do not order from them.

Very terrible. My first time using DHL and will be my last. First I had to wait an extra 2 weeks for my package then to later find out that the delivery driver somehow lost it. 2nd the special agent was terrible in resolving case; called me only once a day just to tell me they're still looking for it. Lastly the special agent said I'll be compensated in result, but didn't provide me with the information to do so. Now I lost almost $100 and 2 weeks of my time because these guys can't do their job properly or professionally.

I ordered a gift for a friend for a company and DHL was the carrier. Long story short. They delivered my package per not the instructions given for delivery and I didn't even get a text saying they delivered it. When I tried to locate its whereabouts it popped up as delivered and it's not here. 250 bucks down the drain. Thanks DHL.

In December 2016 I sent 2 luggage and one big box. The 3 of them contain clothes. I sent them all together in the same day at DHL office from Offenburg City in Germany to Amman City in Jordan. They send the 3 of them separately as shown in the DHL tracking website. First I have received one luggage from the Jordanian local shipping office (not in the house in their storage office far away) and later the box came to the Jordanian local shipping office (in the same storage). The second luggage was sent to another city in Germany called Hagen and it stopped there without calling me. Without mentioning any reason in the website!!

I called my friends in Germany to help me regarding this matter. One of them went to the stupid DHL Office and told him what is happening (they have a bad attitude and they don't apologize about their mistake). He searched for the bag and find it in Hagen City. He asked them to send it to me in Jordan and they reject it. They said "We will send it back to his apartment in Offenburg." My friend told him "He paid you (DHL) not to send the bag back to Offenburg. To send it to Amman in Jordan". The DHL boy said "this is not our problem" with bad attitude and he start blaming the German local post office!! Deutsch Post. My friend asked him for telephone number or a person who is responsible or a manager of DHL company or anyone regarding this matter. NOTHING. He says "We don't have phone numbers for this thing. You want the bag. Go to your home and fill the form in the website."

My friend couldn't do anything inside the DHL shop nor having any useful information. We filled the stupid form in website and they send automatic useless e-mail with no reply. Just saying "we received your application" and so on. We tried to find a solution after few months. We find a friend who knows a friend who works in DHL management. The same thing happen. He even called Hagan DHL. They found the bag, they told him "We damaged the bag so we didn't send it to Jordan." So they took my money 69.99 Euros for shipping my bag, they damage it instead and they never called my number. They never send me e-mail. They never cared of saying anything.

So the friend of friend said to Hagan what is the solution? They don't have any professional systems in this DHL company. Everything is random and ignorant service. One time they say we will empty the bag and put in box and send it to Offenburg, Germany. Then later no let him first write the form in website or we won't take any action for this matter. I fill the stupid form. They even ask to provide all the invoices for my used clothes for God sake!!! Does anyone keeps the invoices of a used clothes??!! I filled the form but I didn't have any invoice of my clothes to provide them with. So until now I am stuck in this endless problem. Later they said that they will destroy any storage that is lost and it's been more than 6 month in theirs!! But hey I found the bag and this is my own stuff so why you destroy my bag?!! I want my stuff. Hello!! Nothing. They said we will pay him 500 Euros crap. My stuff inside the bag is more expensive than 500 Euros.

In the end I still wait for my respond about anything, the case it looks like it's closed to DHL. They even removed the shipping tracking number from the website after few days of complaining. You will find nothing in the website anymore. There is no reply. The friend of friend he said that sorry but DHL workers are not a German people they are outsiders (that's how they call foreigners in Germany). So outsiders are not professional, and what does this mean to me? They stole my bag and took the 69.99 Euros as extra fees for taking my stuff?! :(

DHL post Germany. I send a package in December and they lost it. It supposed to be a Christmas present. Every time I went there to ask they said nothing can be done, it's lost. So pls for all the rest, send it with other company. Not with DHL!!!

UGH. Why do bad things happen to good people? I now know I'm not alone though. What happened to me, you might ask? DHL. Why? Why does this company exist. I'm sorry but... jeez. I've never, ever had any issue with FedEx, UPS, and or USPS. Anyhow, I recently decided I wanted to build my own computer. So okay, so many different websites with high prices... But I finally settled with picking different parts from Ebay. So, my graphics card, motherboard, PC case, AND Ram was from Newegg. So I thought, alright. It was on Sunday, April 23 that I ordered everything. Two days later, my case, graphics card, AND motherboard appeared at my house after school. Why? Because the carrier was FedEx. My RAM hadn't even been shipped. So I sent Newegg an email because I knew everything else was also from there. Mind you I didn't get a response till yesterday, the 26th.

The 25th, I check, and there it is, saying DHL was the company. Never heard of it. After some research? I knew it was all over. So many complaints... Holy shrimp. And some people had the same issue with the same type of thing, RAM. How hard can it be for two little sticks to arrive at my house? For two days the page was stuck at "EN ROUTE TO DHL E-COMMERCE DISTRIBUTION CENTER". UGH. Mind you, the rest of the parts from elsewhere got to my house by Wednesday. It wasn't until today, Friday that apparently it has left the facility. I sure hope so. I get everything within 3 days, except for the smallest and most essential part. RAM. And it says the Estimated Delivery Date is not until May 3. WEDNESDAY OF NEXT WEEK. HOW AM I NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FRUSTRATED?!? Why couldn't have FedEx shipped that too. Ugh... That's all I've gotta say.

1st - since the delay was a mistake from your department in Valance which impact the delivery date to my shipment. 2nd - the misbehave of the employee in the call center to Hang up the phone on my face. 3rd - the promise that I had this morning from Caroline to put the shipment in a priority and to be delivered by Friday morning time and then I found out it is not possible. 4th - since your website says that the shipment is in Lyon and is still in the department of Valance! For the mistakes of your company, the misbehave of your call center and the promises that your company couldn't do, and above all of that the delay of delivering the wedding suit. They made a mistake in a short time to impact for a long time and by the end it will take them one week to answer my issue!?

I have had the worst experience so far. Called and mailed them several times to know the update on my package, but no response since 2 days. The package was supposed to be delivered in the mailbox but I never received it. They are not active while responding to your issues and complaints. I would like to have a claim refund for this loss and high inconvenience.

I ordered 2 items on April 3rd. When I got the shipping info it said it was coming from Canada. I live in California. I waited some time to purchase the items. I'm disabled and on a very limited income. So I rarely am able to buy myself anything. The last update was on April 14. It was in Germany. This was also the day It was supposed to be delivered. I emailed DHL and the company I ordered from. After some research I realize I probably will not ever see my items.

Shipping to my country - El Salvador. After spending $200.00 USD sending a shipment for a relative for her birthday, that cost probably $25 or less, to find out that not only they required a commercial invoice, but so many other things, as pictures of what I have sent, to this date. Now they are asking me, yes, requiring a doctor's prescription for things like non-prescription over the counter. Isn't this a joke, where you can buy not only this kind of medicine in our country w/o prescription, as ** etc., etc, not here... Yes!!!!

20 or more emails with regards to this, sent everything they are asking, and now doctor's prescription, please... Keep the shipment, and please refund me not only the $200.00 to send the "gift" to get there in 3 days, but the aggravations and dissatisfaction of such a nightmare on this. Please ensure that if you send something to this country or another country outside the USA, this is the nightmare you will encounter, so remember this is a non-government entity!!! I thought dealing with the government in our country was worst, but so they tell me, is not!!! REALLY!!!

A relative in Germany was supposed to receive a mail delivery from UK which he wanted to receive at his college. Unfortunately the college was closed when DHL tried to deliver. Rather than taking it back to the depot for a re-delivery the driver stated on his scanner that a NEIGHBOR received the delivery. No name, no house number, no note in the mail box, nothing. Also, the digital signature has been captured but for some reason it is not accessible. We have no idea where that mail went!

Took time from work for required signature for delivery scheduled today. Told by company representative yesterday delivery between 1:30-3:30 pm... Called to check on delivery time... Informed today by representative that item will be delayed for 3 additional days. No communication. No customer consideration.

I placed an order with Amazon on April 1. The item was estimated to arrive April 5-7. On April 5, I received a text from DHL indicating that it would be delayed until April 10. I changed the delivery address to an alternate address as would not be at original delivery address, and received confirmation it had been changed to be delivered on April 11. On April 7, I received a text that it was out for delivery. I called to confirm the address and was told it had missed a scan and was on the way to original address. As it required a delivery signature, I stayed home ALL DAY. Late that evening, the status was updated to Recipient refused delivery, which was not true unless they delivered to incorrect address. I worked with the Amazon seller who contacted DHL, and they indicated it would be delivered to the alternate address as requested on April 11.

On April 11, the status was still showing as Recipient refused delivery. I called DHL and spoke with 2 reps, who indicated they did not know where the package was, and it would take 24-48 hours to contact the DHL facility. They assured me I would hear from them by 5pm the next day (April 12). Later that day it was updated to With Delivery Courier. So of course I stayed home again ALL DAY, and it was never delivered. That evening the status was updated to Recipient Moved. Which is ridiculous as I had 2 other packages delivered to me yesterday from Amazon by UPS and USPS. Next day status updates to indicate it went to incorrect facility.

I emailed DHL CEO yesterday and received a reply from the "Executive Response and Social Customer Care" rep. This was after I was on hold for 15 minutes to talk to a supervisor who never called me back. Delivery was promised for today by Executive Response member ~ and now I see it had been shipped back to Cincinnati where it was a week ago. How is it possible that a package can spend a week bouncing between every destination but my front door? I have never in my life had an issue with FedEx, UPS or USPS. If there is a delay, they are able to identify the package location in real time and will deliver at the earliest possible time the next day.

I have no idea if or when I will ever receive this package. There is a delivery signature required, and while I was told I could remove that option, who in their right mind would do so given the ineptitude up to this point with delivery. For all I know, a driver could toss it off the truck and mark delivered, and I would have no recourse. My experience with DHL is such that I would never purchase an item if I knew this was the carrier. I can't believe in this day and age with all the technology available that DHL can't do better in delivering packages and maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. They really don't seem to care at all ~ and this goes all the way to the top.

My express package was confirmed to be delivered on 04/07/17 but they did not drop it off since nobody was there in the house to sign it so it was fine for me at first. I called customer representative and scheduled it to be delivered to my workplace on 04/11/17 since I am there 8 hours during the day. To my dismay, they did not deliver it because they were not sure of the new address (which I totally did not understand why). So I let it go and called customer service again to have it rescheduled on 04/12/17 to the same address but to my disappointment, they were still not able to deliver due to another reason. I called customer service again and they promised that they will deliver it on 04/14/17. I just hope they will do good with this 3rd promise from them. For this reason I will not recommend shipping with DHL nor will I ever ship with them ever again.

Compare Shipping Companies