1.51/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

DHL

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

626 DHL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My package -- originally estimated for delivery yesterday -- now says "on hold" with no estimated delivery. The employee on the online chat (Darren **) was rude and incompetent -- said he couldn't tell me when I would receive my package. I have to contact the vendor. All he can tell me is "it's not lost." I can't believe how terrible this service is.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Bought an item from a seller in India. It was en route to DHL on Sept. 28, 2017, processed by DHL on Sept. 29. For the next SEVEN DAYS, no tracking. On Oct. 6, the item was in, ta! da!, New Jersey, USA. Why that long? DHL ships via PLANE. It does NOT take seven days for a plane to go from India to the U.S. Now the projected delivery date for the item from New Jersey to Massachusetts - after being handed over to USPS - is? Another FIVE DAYS! From N.J. to Mass.? This is nuts! I don't care if the shipper did use the least expensive shipping method, which I assume is what happened. "Least expensive method" is what? Tie the package to a dog and point it in the right direction?

Updated on 10/12/2017: DHL tracking finally showed that the package from India - which had reached New Jersey - had been given to USPS for delivery. USPS tracking though said that they hadn't yet received it. Two days later I tried calling USPS: "Hello! Your wait time will be: fifty minutes!" Then tried calling DHL. NO number listed for e-commerce international, so I called a domestic delivery local office. They gave me a different number, which gave me a recorded message, which gave me a different number. Someone finally answered and explained to me that due to a "glitch", "package given to USPS" was displaying but wasn't accurate, and that their IT people were working on it. He also said that the projected date of delivery that I'd been looking at for a week - Oct. 11 - was wrong, and that the actual date was Oct. 16. Modern technology, totally useless and pointless.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Upon ordering we gave the correct buzzer code. When DHL arrived they put a sticker on the door stating they rang but no one was home. That was a straight up lie! After rescheduling a new delivery they did the exact same thing; exactly the same thing! They do not care for their customers because they know there's nothing you can do about it. We are now contacting the initial company to request that they stop using them as the courier. Shame on you DHL???

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I ordered a package from eBay... I had no idea that DHL had anything to do with my delivery. I live in New York and my item was also in New York about 30 minutes from my home. Instead of DHL delivering my package, they sent it to an entirely different state. So, I went from a 30 minute wait to almost a weeks wait which in turn cost me money. People if your merchandise is time sensitive, PLEASE DO NOT USE DHL. Make sure that they have nothing to do with your delivery. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

They don't know what happened with my package with a value close to $1,000.00 and they respond only with a ridiculous $187.22. They said that possibly the driver deliver to a different address, just think about; I put their office or center of distribution like a final destination and my wife should be pick it up there in Progreso de Obregón Méx, but the package never arrive to that city, they lost in Pachuca Hidalgo Méx. So my recommendation use a different company with more sensitive and responsible in the business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I ordered something from South Korea and got FOUR calls from DHL and they said they got the wrong area code. So of course I gave them the correct one (which I know for sure I did not mess up seeing as I use autofill, ordered something else the same day and the area code came back correct). They guaranteed it would be shipped and delivered in two-three days. A day later I got yet another call and they said it should be in the next day. To say the least, it has since been a week and the package is still on hold. I give them -5 stars. Never using them again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

DHL Hungary failed to deliver an envelope to me. I was staying in a rural area, and DHL didn't recognise the address. DPD and GLS couriers don't seem to have a problem with my address. An envelope was dispatched from Netherlands in mid July, and returned in the last week of September, 7 weeks later. The sender indicated that DHL was given my UK mobile phone number. There is no indication of a call or text received from DHL, and no voice message. The sender did not give me the tracking number. I filled in the DHL on-line query form including UK phone number, but have had no response. With such Poor communication DHL lets itself down. 6 weeks loss for me.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I ordered a package from China a couple of weeks ago in the amount of $200. I'm a regular customer and this particular time they used DHL as the carrier. I was home all day because I was expecting my package so I signed a release for the carrier to leave my package at the front door. I received a notification saying my package was delivered and my front door was open all morning but the carrier never showed up. DHL did a 1 day investigation stating the carrier said he or she delivered to the correct address and by me signing the release I can't be reimbursed for my loss. I basically gave $200 away...

My neighborhood has two street addresses exactly the same except one is east and the other is west. I think the driver delivered to the wrong address but I will definitely never order from any consumer using DHL as the carrier. My advice is to never sign a release because you'll never be reimbursed if you don't receive your package regardless of how much or little you spend.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I ordered a product 10 days ago. They shipped the item DHL same day. The item shipped a few states away. After looking at the tracking, my item is literally sitting in each DHL location for 3 flipping days! Why? Now, it's in my state, but my item has been sitting in the same location for 5 days now!. Totally aggravating. I will not order anything online again if they ship it DHL!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I had DHL pick up a radial arm saw I purchased. Upon delivery, the BOL included a $40.00 charge for liftgate service, checked by the driver. I had no choice but to pay the fee, because the driver was not allowed to unload without shipping payment in full. The shipper advised me that he had told the driver picking up the machine that he had a forklift, but the driver said it was unnecessary to use it because he had a lift gate on his truck. Then the driver checked the box on the BOL, causing a $0.00 lift gate fee to be added to my shipping charge. I followed up with a complaint to DHL, advising that I did not request or need the lift gate service; the driver chose to use it. They sent back a letter denying the claim, stating only that the liftgate was used. I later learned that this is common practice with DHL: using the lift gate and charging for it even if it's not needed. DHL made an extra $40.00 on this delivery, but have lost my business with this sleazy tactic.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

On September 06/17, I went to the DHL office at 80 Richmond Street - Toronto, to deliver an envelope to Cali- Colombia. The gentleman at the counter was really helpful and provided me with excellent "customer service". He gave me a copy of the receipt for tracking. The tracking system provided me with all the details of the envelope. I follow my envelope until his final arrival. The arrival of my envelope was on time as indicated in the receipt. I would like to mention that in the past, I used Purolator, Canada Post, etc. But those companies are totally lost with Spanish address - my deliveries were cancelled and I was never contacted in the matter. To my Latin America community - DHL is the answer. Thank you very much for the good service - keep it up.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Received a message that my shipment has arrived at a local branch in my city (Yanbu, Saudi Arabia). The message contained the working hours. I went there during the said working hours. Found the branch closed. The main entrance was locked and a steel gate outside the main entrance was also shut. I knocked on that entrance hoping that someone would open up for me. Suddenly a guy (appeared to be the branch manager) showed up from outside shouting arrogantly and asking why I am knocking?! I said I received this message and surprised the branch is closed! He said, "We are open from the back door!" And said, "I should have walked to the back door!!" The back door is a very small one that nobody can easily catch and does not have any signs of DHL and also there are no paper notes on the main door to mention what he said.

When I showed my anger, he said, "We have nothing for you today, come back tomorrow." I ignored him and walked in through the back door. Saw a Filipino working on a computer. I asked him about my shipment. He said: "Give me the tracking number." I gave him my phone to read it. He replied rudely: "I said give me the number not your phone." I said the number out loud clearly. He entered it wrongly. He finally agreed to read it from my phone. I collected my shipment and left. My experience with DHL was really bad.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

DHL America is the most terrible thing which ever happened to me and I lost tons of money already even though I paid for expedited shipment, but it looks like DHL has zero responsibility for their actions. I was supposed to have my package delivered by last Friday, after waiting all day I been told that there was a delay at customs and it will be delivered on Monday. Today (Mon), I spent ALL day at home waiting for that package, and suddenly got notice that I am not home! I ran outside in 30 sec (I live on first floor) and there was no sign, notice or any DHL car. The driver simply didn't come to my house and acted as if my building is problematic.

I already lost almost $2,000 because this package was not delivered on Friday, now it will be another 2K by tomorrow. Who is going to compensate this to me? Who is liable for DHL Express not taking care of shipments in timely manner and who is liable for hiring unprofessional and lazy drivers? I lost almost $2,000 because the shipment was not delivered on Friday, today I am losing another 2K, Who is liable for it? Who is liable for DHL taking money for expedited services and not delivering on time, who is liable for unprofessional, lazy drivers? Never had this type of problem with any other company, DHL is joke! DO NOT USE!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Ordered equipment from B&H Photo in NYC which only shipped that particular equipment through DHL, which is harder to deal with than either the local postal system (excellent) or FedEx (a bit fiddly but they do to the door delivery and accept credit cards for payment of customs brokerage fees, duties, and taxes). I will never again buy anything that has to be shipped DHL. The package went to Lagos where it was obvious that there was no such city as mine in Nigeria. The vendor and I started asking DHL what it was going to do. DHL gave the package a new tracking number and routed it through the EU where it's been sitting in Belgium listed as "dangerous goods" because of a lithium ion battery included with the package.

I will contact the vendor Monday to see if they can resend the package at their expense through FedEx or deal with getting the item out of the EU (my understanding is that the EU does allow batteries included as package for an item that will contain batteries and if the batteries are below a certain size). I've had goods shipped via DHL four or five times in the past. They prefer that customers make a trip to Managua (2 and a half hours by bus one way for me) to clear customs themselves; they completely lost one package from Amazon, two packages that were transferred to the Nicaragua Postal system arrived, and I'm also seeing what is happening with the second package of the order which I will have to pick up at the local DHL office on Tuesday. They tell B&H Photo that they do door-to-door delivery, but, unlike FedEx, do not.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

Very Upset from the DHL service very poor or worst! I shipped a laptop from USA. They showing a adidas show instead of my laptop. This very poor. They totally changed my product. Imma very badly pisssed and the DHL didnt even tell me of customs. They charge very high customs nearly the double of the product!!!! I never expected this from DHL! My rating to DHL is -0.0000000/10. Very worst. :( Never do shipping with DHL.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I haven't used DHL very often, but they seem to deliver at my door instead of at the end of the driveway. Good service, all in all. I have no problems but I don't see them as often as I do UPS and FedEx.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

They claim that my document was delivered to my house. I am the receiver. I said I do not have it. They ask the driver and the driver said it was delivered to my house. I told them to check the GPS of their van to see if it even stopped in front of my house. Two days later, the driver said the same thing. In the afternoon, of the second day, the homeowner where they dropped it delivered it to me. He said his house number is 108 also but different street.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I used to ship documents to and from the Philippines years ago in 2003. It seemed to work pretty well, If you weren't in a big hurry to receive them. Condition wise, most were in very good condition. However, problem here was in the Philippines. The parties DHL had to rely on were "ok", not much you can do when dealing with third party helpers. Then, at that time, you had to go get your documents from I think their post office. Prices were reasonable and one thing I liked in the U.S., was that they would come pick up what you had to send. Very quick about that. I think I would recommend them based on the experiences I had with them but just don't get your expectations up too high.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Everything I have ever ordered and was shipped through DHL has been late and not just a day or two. The last time, they were 10 days late, and I'm still waiting on a package ordered 2 years ago.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

My only complaint about DHL is they need to make their site more user friendly & less confusing. Whenever I order something online, & it's shipped via DHL, I can never find the exact area to track the Global Mail shipping tracking page. Simplify it by being able to track ANY DHL shipping tracking # all in ONE search engine on the site! I mean seriously, that's like having a different customer service desk for each of the departments in a dept. store!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

DHL is the best of all 3 carriers overall! Fast, courteous, and safe. I used to use them a lot before drugstore.com went out of business and it would have been nice had they directed me to another business who used this carrier.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

When I managed a store six year or so ago we used DHL for our payroll over FedEx. The delivery guy was always nice and polite and always made sure he handed the package to me. If I ever had an issue it was taken care of. I was sad when they moved away and we no longer used them.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

TRACKING #**. Get a call "we tried twice to deliver no one home" on 08.21.17 2:20 pm cst. We tell DHL we'll be home 23-24 for sure. "Are there any taxes and duties owed?" DHL "no." Get another phone call on 22nd 2:22 pm cst. We tell DHL we'll be home 23-24 for sure. "Are there any taxes and duties owed?" DHL "nothing." On the 23rd we call DHL-Loomis. "Can we get a transport truck into your lot?" 3 calls and 2 hours later, "Yes you can get a transport truck in our lot." We get there. No we can't get in and turn around. Turned in a open field. Get in. I owe $30.16 in taxes duty and brokerage transaction fees??? They got the paperwork all **. Sat there for 1.5 hours waiting, burning my 14hr clock 6 calls later nothing done. We noticed our package was damaged, and watch DHL driver unload his van throwing parcels against a cement wall???

Later that day I get a call at 6:00 pm from DHL customer service and am offered a $50 Esso gas gift card, and DHL agrees to let us inspect package before signing and paying bill. DHL fixes the paperwork and email it to me on the 24th but I can't read it. All "eeelll ooo nnn lll." Get a good one later that day after 6 calls and two emails to DHL. On Fri the 25th, go to DHL-Loomis to inspect package. Hole in box. Crunched corners. So we refused delivery. 2 solar panels in box was damaged. Put in a claim and was told we can't do anything till the shipper puts in a claim, wtf. I paid the freight. Even got the manager at Loomis-DHL to sign (package and contents damaged), with pictures of course. The shipper is waiting to hear from DHL.

I had lots of bad experiences with UPS stupidity but DHL has them beat in this department. Identical shipment with 4 corner protectors only damaged 1 100 watt solar panel. DHL with more protection 8 corner protectors extra foam damages both 100 watt solar panels. Never again DHL. I guess DHL won't be sending me a $50 Esso gas gift card now... I should of spent the extra $25 for each panel and bought them at home. Less hassle.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Often do not bring packages to the door and sometimes even toss them over the three foot fence onto the yard to get rained or sprinklered on and damaged.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I was expecting a parcel shipped from England and received 6 different texts informing me of a scheduled delivery today which requires a signature. Three of texts arrived today. After remaining home all day, I received a final text at 5:00 PM advising that the package would not be delivered. After speaking with 3 incredibly incompetent people on the phone, I was able to learn that delivery was attempted at 4:56 PM. Since I was sitting on my porch from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM, I am well aware that this was a lie but when I pointed that out apparently I offended some rule about being nice and they hung up on me.

It is impossible to complain about an incompetent employee because it is apparently rude. In any event, I now have to spend another day sitting home waiting, since I am not about to waive a signature when I already know that the delivery driver lies about his work. I need to make sure it actually gets here. I cannot imagine why anyone would use this service. Even without looking this up, I heard a passel of comments of how awful they are. I knew they did a poor job of transporting things. I didn't realize they lied about it too.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

DHL uses independent, ICs, for delivery in this area and I've been told by DHL that most of them do not read or speak fluent English which affects leaving parcels in the designated, safe & clean area near the security camera. They often put parcels in front of the door or between the doors which is a safety hazard for someone using a cane and a Service Dog. But DHL has never left a destroyed package like FedEx and UPS.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I used them once to ship a purchase from Dublin, Ireland to Dallas TX and it costs me about $20 because the store shipped regularly. I had a few days left on my trip and the package arrived home before I did, which was far better than having to pack and carry it around.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

DHL at one time was a prominent player in the courier game but I feel no longer. I go back to the days of their purchasing of Flying Tiger and I've not use their services in 15 years!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Worse delivery service ever. I always have issues with them. I'm pretty sure they didn't attempt to deliver my package because I live in an apartment with a mail room and the apparent delivery attempt was on a Tuesday at 2 pm. I received no delivery slip to tell me where my package is and there is always someone in the mail room to receive packages. I called the provided number to find my package and they gave me a post office address which is non-existent. Where is my package???

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I have only used DHL a few times and overall they are very good. They always deliver on time, the parcels come intact and the pricing is moderate. It's better than FedEx but more expensive than UPS on average. I prefer to use them when I can.

DHL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.
    • Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.
    • Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.
    • DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.
    • Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.
    • Best for: DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs