DHL

Compare Shipping Companies

Research top Shipping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

DHL is the last choice I make for shipping and for good reasons. DHL is INEFFICIENT in their delivery scheduling. DHL customer service is bad to poor. They try to be efficient by sending you a text notification of delivery but delivery doesn't happen!!! EXTREMELY BAD when you are waiting on an important document. The sender is from Italy and they used DHL. I would NOT have!!! I called the Customer Service #800-225-5345 and they did not even try to help. Answer was: "Your package will not be delivered today." No offer to do anything else!!! I'm angry.

I ordered a pretty expensive item from Lithuania to United States. The shipping was really fast as expected. However, while I was at work, I was also tracking the shipping and I noticed that it was delivered at my house. I was wondering why they didn't ask for the signature. I knew that my shipper asked for it. After a few hours I came back home and couldn't find my package. I called them immediately and they confirmed it was delivered and they will contact the courier and call me back. After 2 hours they never did so I called back and talked to another person who also confirmed the package got delivered and he will contact dispatch service so they can talk to the courier.

They called me back in a very short time to let me know that the package is behind the house. I went to look and it was thrown behind the garbage cans. I probably would not have found it for a few day at least. I am happy that everything ended fine and my shipper and me did not have any more issues but I really wish they asked me to sign it the way they supposed to do... or at least left a note in the mailbox saying the package is behind the house. However, the signature should be a must especially after I paid a lot of money for the item and shipping too. SO PLEASE DHL, ASK FOR SIGNATURES IN ORDER TO DELIVER THE ITEMS CORRECTLY!

DHL is the worse International Co shipment in the world. Not respect with the customer, the supervisor does not solve problem, delay package with NOT EXPLANATION, very irresponsibly and all the worse can human imagine about a shipment. Believe I never complain in written but today 1/9/2017 I have to do it. So irresponsible. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE BUSINESS WITH DHL...

I have been waiting for a delivery for two weeks. DHL company sent me a few messages in different times telling me that they will be delivering it and nobody came to my house. I could not go to work two consecutive days waiting for the package and they never arrived. I must say this is not the first time I have had this experience with them. "Inefficient DHL company."

I had shipped my mother's medical denture on Dec 21, 2016 from Canada to Bangladesh, promised to reach Jan 1, 2017 -- it is now January 9 and has not arrived even after my father paid extra Taka 4000. 00 to the agent. My question why we have to pay extra and why the delay? Will you have tolerated it if it was your mother's denture? I am so disappointed with DHL service in Bangladesh -- a fully corrupt system.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

This company is rude & unprofessional. Tracking your package is a waste of time & very incorrect. I missed the driver by 1 min. I actually seen him pull off, I was only in the backyard. Okay I understand that was my fault so I got someone on the phone no more than 2 mins later asking her, "Could he turn around?" She immediately cut me off & said, "He will be back to try again Monday," even after I stressed how close he was. She kept saying there was nothing they can do & how their drivers didn't carry service phones. This made me so furious. I hung, called back to get someone else on the phone & a guy took my call this time, & said he apologized & would put in a request, & how usually they come back when a request is placed.

About 30 mins later someone called me & informed me that he would be back with package. Keep in mind only 30 mins had passed & their tracking site was telling me it was already back in Atlanta (2 hrs, 45 mins away from my home). Because they went out the way to call back & let me know this I Sat in yard & waited so I would not miss him this time. Well 4 hrs later I called back & asked, "How much longer?" He said, "I'm sorry your package had already been returned back to the store," & I would receive it on Monday!! I became so furious I literally began to cry. All they did was lie, lie, lie to me.

I had already read the other horrible reviews, but tried to give them chance. Choose any service besides this one. This has been the worst experience ever!! I will never give them another try. They played me as if they were really concerned but honestly they didn't give 2 **!! Now I just want my package & to NEVER DEAL with them ever again.

I had a very bad experience sending parcel with DHL. They are absolute nightmare to talk on the phone and they also said they are self-regulated and they don't have a financial ombudsman, basically you cannot escalate a complaint, seriously, so if you wish to complaint they will just smile and say there is nothing we can do! Horrible company! Make sure your shipment don't cost 4 times more just like mine did!

I order a lot of goods online, many of which come from abroad. I live in Canada and understand that I will be charged duties on certain goods. However, I have had many expensive items shipped to me and rarely ever have to pay duties. In fact, I've ONLY ever paid duties when receiving items shipped through DHL. Recently, I ordered a $20 ceramic item from a US retailer, paid $25 in shipping to have it expressed shipped to me. I already felt ridiculous paying more for shipping than for the actual item. Once the item was delivered, I was hit with $22 "duties" at the door. Keep in mind, the delivery man had specified these are "duties". I also was not notified of the amount ahead of time as they usually do to give you the option to pay duties online, so this really did come as a surprise to me. Feeling upset and ripped off, I submitted a complaint via the company's website as they claim to value feedback.

I was emailed back basically with an explanation as to why I was charged ridiculously. I didn't initially ask for an explanation. I simply wanted to let them know I will no longer be using their service and have advised friends and family against it as well. You know, since they apparently value feedback. I was also sent a invoice of the charges and noticed that I was only charged $1.89 in duties which is absolutely fair. What's NOT fair is the $10.50 and $4.50 DHL charges in brokerage processing fees and transaction fees, and I was also charged GST on those fees. They like to cover up their fees by claiming you owe "duties", which is dishonest and disgusting.

The lady who emailed me tried to advise me on how I could "avoid" paying these brokerage fees in the future by opting for self clearance. THANK YOU for letting me know after I get ripped off. Not to mention how inconvenient self clearance would be. If I want to avoid brokerage processing fees I will avoid using DHL completely. This company just seems like a complete scam to me and I will now opt to use ANY other shipping company than DHL in the future.

DHL does not care to give the reason why the tracking status says 'clearance delay'. For a whole week!!! They hand over to cheap local courier companies who have no responsibility to take your valuable document to its destination.

This morning 7AM got a wake up call from DHL Research personnel team, spoiling my day with the rude conversation, to tell the status about my package which was supposed to be delivered Tuesday and it's Thursday today. She told me that my package is on my way now. I asked her what's the problem. And the lady was so rude saying, "There is no problem. You know we don't work weekends and Monday is holiday and whole USA knows about it" and saying "don't yell at me."

When I was inquiring on Tuesday another guy from same research personnel team says, "You know we process thousands of documents every day. Do you know how difficult it is track it?" The people are so rude and I paid around 80$ for this service, whereas some other courier were truthful saying it will be delivered Wednesday because of holidays and for 40$.

This is not a recent story as it happened in 2015, but I just came upon this forum and thought it was relevant to share. I ordered some clothing from a Chinese retailer (I'm in the US). I knew that shipping would take a while but wasn't worried as I've ordered things from other companies like this previously. Usually it gets sent through the USPS and I have to go pick it up from my local office. This company used DHL, worst choice ever. Tracking isn't detailed enough to begin with. It tells you nothing as to where your package is in the world, just that it's out there. When tracking finally said that it had been delivered and I had nothing show up on my doorstep I opened a claim with DHL. They gave me the usual spiel of "check with your neighbors and anyone in your household". I don't live in a bad neighborhood but I don't really know my neighbors.

No one outside of my own household would have accepted the package on my behalf and my door isn't even visible from the street so theft wasn't likely. DHL said since their tracking showed that it was delivered so I was pretty much screwed. Fine. I went to Paypal and got my money back through them since they always side with the buyer. I always figured they were my fail safe anyway but I wanted to try and hold DHL accountable for their sub par service first.

Well, about a week after dealing with DHL a woman knocks on my door with my package. She apologized for not coming by sooner, she didn't have the time. Not a problem for me. I was over the moon she brought it by at all. The truly horrible thing was that she didn't live in my neighborhood... didn't even have the same zip code as me, her address was nothing like mine. Why would a delivery driver drop a package at a random house and mark it as delivered? How is that even remotely doing your job? And DHL stands by the word of their drivers, people who do careless work like this. So in summation, you'd have better luck relying on the kindness of random strangers to get your package where it needs to be rather than sending it through DHL.

I had ordered a photo book as a Christmas present at the beginning of December. I was assured it would arrive in time for Christmas. On December 12 I received a text message from DHL indicating my package would be delivered that day. No package ever arrived. Thinking it was a busy time I let some time go. Waiting patiently. Finally a few days before Christmas I checked the tracking and saw that it said it had been delivered. When I contacted customer service they said they would open an investigation for me. A few days later a woman called me and said "sorry tracking said it was delivered. We checked the driver's GPS and he delivered the package." Well excuse me because I don't have a package here so please explain that to me. They essentially said there was absolutely nothing more they could do for me and I would need to contact the shipper of the original product to maybe get a refund. So upset.

DHL Israel is using a standard procedure of letting the parcel to a neighbor (driver choose which neighbor) unless you stay at home 9 to 5. Of course they do not try even to send a message to inform you before or after the delivery. The tracked parcel just disappear! I understand now after reading reviews that DHL is the worst shipping company all over the globe and not only in Israel.

I gave DHL parcel to deliver to my sister in South Africa, Butterworth on the 9th of December but until today the parcel is still not delivered. DHL claims that they can't find the delivery address and I do not understand how they can't find it as it is in the CBD. I was never called to be informed of the problems experienced until I called myself as I saw on the website that the parcel hasn't been delivered. I called DHL several times giving them my sister's number to contact her for delivery but until today she never received any call from them. My worry is that documents inside that parcel need to be submitted at an organisation and there is a deadline to submit them. I hope DHL is prepared to pay me if miss the deadline.

I was in Frankfurt, Germany two weeks ago and discovered some popular delicious German treats that I decided to give as presents this year. I ordered on 12/09/16, the company shipped via DHL Paket on 12/12/16, and the package was supposed to be here on Monday, 12/20/16. DHL Paket had the last scan in their warehouse on 13/12/16 and it has not been seen since. I called DHL USA and they said they cannot do anything for me because this package was shipped from DHL Paket. So I asked, "Why is this impossible for you to track, it's your company." The agent said, "Europe uses a 12 digit number and USA uses a 10 digit number." So again I asked, "Don't you use the same computer system to track packages, regardless of how many digits are involved?" I got no direct answer but was given a number to call DHL Paket direct to inquire.

So now I started to deal with DHL Paket. I called their number on Tuesday, a woman answered, started to speak German, and I ended our call after we could not communicate. I called back Wednesday, another woman answered, and in broken English told me to call back in 2 hours. Now I am on the West Coast of the USA and these calls were made after 1am when the DHL Paket call center is open. I finally decided to send them another email, they answered, and told me now that the company that shipped my products from Germany has to open an investigation. Now I cannot even get a confirmation email from the shipper telling me if the investigation was opened because the administration offices are closed for Christmas and possibly thru the new year.

Overall this whole experience is plagued by very poor communication. This is definitely not the first time DHL has screwed up my shipments from Europe and I am so done with this company. When I buy products from Europe again, I will only ship with UPS or FedEx because at least they can scan any or all tracking numbers generated within any of their companies. Now I am scrambling to buy more presents because a shipping company cannot do what I paid them a lot of money to do.

I sent this mail to this mail addresses I find in DHL website: hkgcustenq_dgf@dhl.com, hkgcustcare@dhl.com, "You Have a terrible service. I have some documents that urge me arrested in Hong Kong and nobody in your company does anything to give me an answer of when they send them. I have a merchandise that comes from China and while not the present I will not be able to import it. Do not measure the economic damage caused by their delays. I need answers as soon as possible." At this time here in Mexico and in China nobody can pay attention to my problem but to they in What affects them??? Absolutely nothing, since I have already been charged and to impute damages and prejudices would have to spend more money and wait a long time, DHL knows this. Why it does not care to affect those who mistakenly believe in them. Disgusting company.

I was comparing different carriers for shipping some important legal documents and after speaking to the DHL rep and the assurance that the package will reach Mumbai, India in three working days I decided to use their services paying extra money to get the delivery done before the end of the day. It was extremely crucial for that package to arrive on the 22nd of December as we shipped it from Houston, TX on the 19th afternoon. Upon calling the DHL to track the package on 21st they informed me that it will not reach till the 26th. They flatly lied about their delivery time and were unwilling to accept their shortcomings. I will never use them again.

Ordered the one Christmas gift my grand daughter specifically asked for, arrival due date 19th, waited in all day only to be informed by the seller that DHL cannot cope and therefore it will take ANOTHER 1 - 2 weeks to arrive!!! All in all it will have taken over 6 weeks!!! IT IS CHRISTMAS DHL SHAME ON YOU. NEVER EVER TRUST THIS COMPANY. Apparently they have not even sorted parcels yet!!! Gutted!!!

Updated on 01/01/2017: Do not use!!! DHL now claim to have lost hundreds of parcels!!!! Children's Christmases ruined by a company who do not give a poop! Not taking this lying down is theft, incompetence, disregard for customers and has ruined the one surprise my grand daughter asked for! DHL heed this. Social media will ensure you do not get away with this with zero consequences!!!

Someone from your Compton facility decided they needed my KIDS Christmas presents more than my kids. They REFUSED to truck who put their hands all over my stuff... That is a FEDERAL crime and for some reason DHL doesn't care. They told me to get with the sender to resend the package... UMMMMM NO! Go grab your ** ass employee and take it back from them! Good job DHL... MERRY ** CHRISTMAS!

Once again DHL has proved unreliable, I arranged for a delivery and was texted numerous times to confirm, took the day off of work to be here and they never showed. I have been given an answer "due to bad weather". The weather yesterday was clear and warming, so insult to intelligence was added. I received rude treatment from customer assistance and spoke to a supervisor. DHL needs to realize they are not the only ones that have to do business in a day. Will not use them again. USPS IS MORE RELIABLE.

They never came to my address. They claimed they did, said no one was home and they left it with a woman who signed "Hannah **". Well we live on a small cul de sac of 6 houses with no one by that name. PLUS we were home waiting on Dec 8 because it was a little red mini bike my 5 year old wanted from Santa. It was the only thing he asked for. Now DHL says they delivered it so the case is closed. Merry Christmas DHL. Thanks a lot. Someone is lying in your company!

The tracking is not good enough. They don't give enough details. At least UPS and USPS let you know what zip code your package is in. Most cities have more than one USPS, and my package was supposedly tendered to them from DHL. That's all I know. When I try to track it via USPS, it says that they're still waiting for the package. It could be the fault of either, or both. The worst part is I have to wait 14 business days from the time it was shipped, and that's after the new year!

The shipment was due to arrive today at my door. DHL did not call to give prior notice that shipment needed signature. I was sitting in living room when driver climbed up the stairs. He did not knock on the door and scurried downstairs back to the truck. I called the center in Phoenix twice and they said they would redeliver today before 8:00 pm. Their word was worthless. Driver never showed up. I called Phoenix a third time and they stated that the station was closed and that they could not deliver package until next week.

This company is unreliable, untrustworthy, undependable and wasteful. Their drivers do not knock because they are in a hurry and do not care whether package goes back to the station. I have had prior experiences where a package arrives in JFK at 8:30 am and does not get delivered in NJ - less than two hours away -until the next business day. It seems that this company is a left over from the Third Reich or might be about to be sold to the Trump corporation. DHL is worthless. Do not do business with them.

I ordered a photobook and everything was going great. DHL "delivered" the package by leaving it outside my apartment building in Downtown where thousands of people walk by every day. Ok turns out the package said no signature required but this is a building, you can't leave a package outside the building because now it got stolen!!! When I called DHL the first guy was nice then after 2 hours some awful lady called to say "Oh. No signature was needed so the driver was allowed to leave it at the door." When I asked outside the building door or unit door she said unit door. BUT she then said even if he left it outside it's not a big deal because no signature is needed!!

She then processed by saying, they will try and investigate where he left it but he really isn't at fault and I need to call the company that shipped it. I don't care if a signature is needed or not. DHL CANNOT LEAVE A PACKAGE OUTSIDE A BUILDING AND HAVE IT STOLEN!!! She said I was twisted words but said they can't do anything for me. I would give them 0 star if I could, useless and do not care for your package. They could have taken it back home, or contacted me or walked into the building and put it in front of the apartment door!!!

This is the absolute worst shipping company I've had to use. I got an estimated arrival date of December 17th and the package didn't arrive until the 30th. The customer service wasn't helpful at all. They acted like I hadn't even made an order when I called to ask why my package was so late. If you can avoid it I would not use this shipping company. They are entirely too difficult to work with and take forever to deliver packages.

Please do not use this company. They have the worst service in the world, it goes beyond imagination. They sent my package back without calling me and made pay another 700 dollars. Keep this company away!!!

Poor service from this DHL. Don't ever used this courier again people. My documents that I sent they can't trace what's the progress and poor customer service I have ever in my life. So annoying!!! POOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SLOW ACTION FROM THE STAFF.

I had a package shipped DHL express to me from China that required signature. I get a text message Wednesday that my package will arrive tomorrow by the end of day. It gives me the option to change the delivery to a later date if I'd like, which I do and choose the following day Friday. I take the day off work, sit at home all day until 7:15 (keep in mind my tracking online says it will be delivered this day by the end of the day).

I call DHL and am told that my package will not be delivered until the following Monday... She says there is some issue in LA where my package has been sitting while tracking says otherwise. IT WAS ORIGINALLY GOING TO BE HERE YESTERDAY!!! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??? GET your ** together DHL. What a waste for me. Now I have to take two days off work and not be paid for your mistakes?? At least do something in return to make it up. This is not acceptable business. I've shipped and received thousands of items with other carriers and never had anything even close to this happen.

Utterly useless. Can't handle less than two inches of snow, opaque customer service. Canceled our agreed upon delivery date without notice. Apparently unable to read building directory to find our buzzer number. Nothing could entice me to use or recommend this service.

This is the worst shipping company ever. Avoid DHL. They simply lost my documents. When you call the customer service they just put you in a dead loop. I asked for more than 10 times, from 10 different employees, to talk to their supervisor. It never happened. Rude people, terrible service, AVOID DHL. I have all the proofs that they lost my package and I am gonna sue them right away.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.
  • Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.
  • Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.
  • DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.
  • Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.
  • Best for DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.

Compare Shipping Companies