1.46/5
  • 1 star
Based on 192 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 14, 2017

661 DHL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I have never seen such low service in my whole entire life. I have been in retail for the better part of my life and I'm 62 years old and this is the worst company that I have ever been delivered to. UPS is wonderful. United States Postal Service wonderful. DHL is awful. I have been waiting for a package since November 22nd and I still do not have my package and it is December 14th. There is no excuse for this. None whatsoever. And it all has to do because I'm tracking with DHL. I will never use this company again. And if anybody else I order from uses DHL I will tell them I do not want to use this company. I will FedEx it. I will pay the extra shipping just to avoid DHL. I would suggest everyone else do so as well as this is the Christmas season and I ordered way in advance.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I've been waiting for the delivery for 2 weeks now. It is sitting in Secaucus New Jersey since December 1st. It is now December 10th. I live in Pennsauken New Jersey. Hour and a half away. Does a beautiful person. The package doesn't seem to be moving at all. This is the second time I've dealt with this company and the package just sits there for at least 2 to 3 weeks. This is the worst delivery company I've ever dealt with.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Whenever I see DHL my heart breaks a little bit. The absolute slowest form of shipping there could possibly be. I'd rather see they shipped my package via carrier pigeon. Last time I saw that my package was in some small town about an hour away from my house for 7 days...SEVEN DAYS!!! It had been a week before that it was originally shipped. I called and no answer. I wrote an email asking if it was lost with no reply. Then did receive my package. The tracking DHL offers never ever works for me. It's just the absolute worst company for delivery.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Ordered something from China on the 26th of November for my company which I needed for tonight by 10pm. First it took DHL a week to start moving the package. I started tracking it on Dec 5th. I'm in Texas so I expected my package to be delivered like if UPS or USPS would deliver. Well to make a long story short, the driver showed up at 830pm yesterday but my wife was in the shower because she figured no one delivers that late but DHL did. So now I'm sitting here, I have to be at my job at 10 and here it is going on 930pm and guess what... NO DAMN DRIVER IN SIGHT!!!

So NOW I have to go to work without having what I need looking like a complete fool because DHL doesn't know how to deliver a package like all the other reasonable couriers do! This company sucks and needs to just go out of business because they have WAY more negative reviews than any other company I've seen. Whatever you do... DO NOT use DHL if you have something important that you need delivered or if you're not willing to stay up till midnight waiting for it.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I listening to a package who suppose to be in my country since a long time. The first delivery was attempted and I didn't receive a message or anything else. Send a complain but always the same. After they send back my package without me asking them do that. REALLY BAD QUALITY SERVICE.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

Nothing particularly bad has happened or anything, just wanted to share that when I see DHL is the one shipping a product to me, I know it will be the very slowest it can. My heart always sinks a bit when I see a company used DHL to ship my stuff. No lie. I am currently waiting on PC parts from a reputable online company. I ordered and it said DHL had the delivery. I cussed. However, it said the estimated delivery date was only 4 days out, this Tuesday by the end of the day. I wait all day, checking the porch now and then. End of the day I log back into the company site and check tracking… They changed it to expected delivery on Saturday. “Just DHL things..."

It’s sad because I kinda knew the 4 days shipping was too quick for DHL. I really did. I cannot see how they are still around. I know this site will attract more negative reviews for companies than good ones (people are more apt to say something when mad than happy) but I’m not even “that” mad. Just so tired of their sad slow service. Always always always disappointing. I hate to see people lose jobs when a company closes, but I wish DHL would just get out of the picture and close. They genuinely suck. Maybe they are good at international shipments, but domestic they suck. Stop wasting everyone's time with lazy lackluster service and fix your crap, or sell it off and close the doors. Please.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Worst delivery service I have ever used. Their customer service is so rude. They don't even answer the phone that they gave on their email for contact. They allow you to change delivery time and other features about delivery on their website, but they don`t implement those changes.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

An item I ordered from NY was sent to DHL on the 7th of Nov. It was scanned in on the 9th. As of Nov 22nd it arrived in NJ. I am still sitting here waiting for my package and it is the 27th... I live in MI! I have NEVER in my life experienced a slower shipping than these people! I will never request or advise anyone to use this company. 20 days SO FAR to move 2 states away.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Please do not use DHL to ship to customers and -- customers -- don't let a company use DHL to ship to you. I do in fact have the parcel now, but in spite of DHL's system, not because of it. So -- this is a review detailing supremely bad service. My complaints are provided as a warning to others, and a suggestion to DHL that they improve their service or step away from this business. Recently DHL misdelivered a parcel from Central Asia to me TWICE, and DHL still does not know where it was delivered. (I do know, because someone at the wrong address eventually kindly accepted and signed for it for me. So I have it.)

The advertised "on-demand" service does not exist. I talked to: a Customer Service Rep, a Supervisor, another Supervisor, and someone in "Research" (supposed to help with a problem). In addition I emailed the office of the President, and had exchanges with someone there who did not help at all and who also did not read my emails as far as I can tell from replies. In addition to this, I spent hours trying to reach anyone at all on the phone when I had new information for them, in particular to tell them I'd found the thing. Everyone I talked to insisted that DHL has NO WAY of communicating with their delivery people, at all! So if they drop your stuff in the wrong place -- that's it!!! Make our own decision about whether that will work for you.

[If you want the longer version: I heard from DHL that my parcel had reached Istanbul. I called DHL to find out how to arrange delivery, as I'd need to travel to the address here in the US, a place that I'm furnishing that I have not yet moved into. I was assured over and over that DHL would contact me when parcel reached local US airport, and then I could make an arrangement. All I needed to arrange at this point was the DAY, so I could go there and be there when the delivery came. Parcel arrives in US, DHL never contacted me. On Friday I receive a text saying they had tried to deliver parcel but "no one was there."

I called DHL and made a new arrangement for them to deliver it to me at my present address on Monday -- someone is always there, and as I had seen that DHL was not reliable, I decided it was better for them to take this thing -- a big heavy rug -- to my present address. I planned then to have my movers move it when I eventually move my other things to new address, even though this would of course cost me extra when I move. Object is a rug I had wanted delivered to the place where I was going to use it. DHL emails me to confirm the new arrangement. I notice on this confirmation email that the new delivery address appears, but so does the old address, mingled with it; also there is an inaccurate and confusing piece of extra information included on new address (it says, Broadway at 11th Street, which is correct. It also says, "entrance on 80th Street," which is impossible).

Also, the date of promised delivery is wrong. Also, they have listed a phone number where I cannot be reached -- I had provided my cell number on all forms, and on the phone, BUT DHL, or "their system," picked up a number I happened to call from, and printed that on the form instead of the number I consistently provided. SO I CALL DHL and advise them of all these mistakes. Person on phone, supervisor, insists that they don't matter. On date when second delivery is expected, DHL texted me to say the parcel was delivered - but it was not! It was delivered - somewhere! but not where they had agreed to take it. Hours of emails and phone calls with people who did nothing. All of them insisting there was no way for them to find out where the parcel was. I was told they would take "several days" to trace this mistake that had occurred just that day. No way to contact drivers who had dropped off a giant rug within the last hour or so.

Someone at the original delivery address, not the address where they were supposed to go on this day, recognized my name, let me know that this package was there, and that had signed for it. (By the way -- I don't like inconveniencing a new neighbor, particularly by dumping a 40 pound object on her.) More hours of attempted phone calls to DHL, but now "research" would not answer. No way to tell them the thing had been found. People in other departments who answered the phone insisted that a) there was no way to reach the delivery people and also b) there was no way for ANYONE to notify delivery people to stop looking for the parcel. The next day, I received a flurry of garbage emails about how "this is not typical of DHL." I replied to all of them asking them to tell me where my package was delivered, and got one totally incorrect answer. I.e., DHL still does not know, or care, where their couriers took this thing.

Also a stern note about how I could file a claim but must do so in 30 days or -- my bad luck. I didn't receive a single communication from anyone who seemed to have a clue what had happened. I don't want to file a claim, as I have my property. I did want to see if anybody would ever say something that made sense, but no one has. Some of these interactions were with "the President's office," some with "research."]

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I bought a Christmas gift for my husband via online and they shipped with DHL. This company is the worst. They are so difficult with getting your packages. First it was shipping to my condo, which they don't call your cell phone if you don't have a buzzer, so they show up and if you aren't outside/no buzzer they just leave without you knowing, second: I change the address to my friend's house whom the rep says will arrive tomorrow... still no package at her house, called again and nope it will arrive Monday so THREE DAYS LATER.

I said, "Fine. I will just come pick it up", the new rep said, "Nope you have to give us 2 business days to pick it up"... so I said, "Forget it, just deliver it then to my friend's house within the hours of 11 am to 9 pm!!!" How is anyone supposed to know when it arrives! People work on Mondays! They don't leave slips for a post office pick up because they are just that awful! I am emailing the store I bought products from and I am telling them I will never buy from them again because their shipping methods are complete **!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

DHL is in the business of delivering packages. Despite following their guidelines to do a signature release, they didn’t deliver my package. Then they couldn’t find my package when I wanted to pick it up... This is a week after my package reached them in my city! The vendor I ordered from gives you a week for returns and now I don’t even have that option if I don’t like the product. Not to mention poor customer service. DHL told me only option to get my package was to go to their service center. I show up and they said they don’t have it. After I called and spoke to someone who said they’ll hold it at the center. I will never buy a product if their carrier will be DHL.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I don't work in the shipping and logistics industry, and therefore don't understand the intricacies of international shipping. All I can tell is when I'm promised to be delivered a package I expect it to be delivered. DHL notified me on a Monday my package was scheduled to be delivered that Wednesday, and I changed the delivery address that morning to ensure it arrived at my office where I knew I would be. Wednesday around 11:30 am I receive notification that they attempted delivery but it failed, which was false. I called customer service, they told me I changed the address and there was a miscue... Even though they read off to me both addresses properly. There was no delivery attempt made at all. From now on, I'll insist on FedEx or UPS and never give this company my business again.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I try to avoid DHL as much as I can. DHL is extremely slow, their workers don't have to stretch their legs and regarding documentation, they complicate too much. I ask every seller not to use DHL, but still some sellers don't have any other option. UPS is completely opposite from DHL. So many times they "process" package and it can be "Temporarily in storage" for one day without any reason, traveling 1000km in EU... It seems they don't have enough trucks, or I don't know why they keep package in storage for 24 hours now. DHL is soooo sloooowwww... avoid them whenever it is possible.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I don't write reviews for anything... Ever... But the customer service this guy showed today was definitely worth acknowledging! This is my first experience with DHL, so I'm not sure if this is the nature of their company or if they just picked an excellent delivery guy! But the guy called when he got to my house to inform me that he didn't like my instructions on leaving the package (says there were several people coming in and out next door) and suggested another place he could leave it. I was just so appreciative that he would go to those lengths to prevent theft and ensure I received my package. Excellent service, guy! :-)

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

11/20/2017 @ 8:20 pm. If I could have given ZERO stars, I would have. I ordered item from Amazon, who didn't indicate it was coming from China. Having had issues with DHL prior to this, I would not have ordered it. I tracked it and saw that DHL said it was an attempted delivery while I am sitting in the house with a view of the driveway. It NEVER was delivered! Now I have to sit here another day without any freedom of movement.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

They don't care about being ethical and on time. They screw you around and make you wait all day for your package. They don't even give you a time frame. They say the package is to be picked up and then it does not arrive. Customer service on the phone is polite. They just say sorry and then sorry again. The truth of it is that the company is badly reviewed and is losing customers quickly. This is why they charge outlandish fees.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Delivery was promised yesterday, it was not delivered today either. It shows as being on the truck with the driver and a "specialist" will call me tomorrow morning. This is par for the course. A so called specialist calls and nothing improves. Within the past six months this is the Fifth parcel delivery to go awry. I have no choice re provider since this is the company my suppliers use. I am going to pay extra money and insist on FedEx. This is intolerable. My production had to stop today and I had to send people home. My Saturday trade show is canceled since we cannot make all the components without the materials. A disaster for me and my company.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

If I could have given ZERO stars, I would have. On September 1, 2017 I ordered an expensive birthday gift for a child I am raising, my great niece. After the birthday passed two weeks later, I wondered what happened to the package. I tracked it and saw that DHL said it was delivered on a specific date (4 days before the birthday), but it NEVER was delivered to my address. I called the company I ordered from and told them of the non-delivery despite what the DHL tracking website said.

I reordered the birthday present and here we are 2 and a half months later and again DHL's tracking site says the item was delivered on November 9, 2017 but it WAS NOT DELIVERED TO MY ADDRESS. For all this time I was very nice to the company I ordered from and we have exchanged a minimum of 14 emails over the past months regarding this issue. They tried to be helpful (the company I ordered from), but I am beyond furious with DHL. What the hell is going on? Are they engaging in package dumping and falsifying signatures or simply giving my orders to other people? DHL is screwing us over. I am going to contact a local investigative news organization to shed light on this problem as I am certain I am not the only person this is happening to.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I sent my passport to the Canadian Embassy in Amman from Baghdad. I paid for return and 3 days ago I went to get it back, the employee was very rude and charged me again 85US$ without giving me a new track number or a receipt. My passport is still in the embassy, nobody picked it up. He was literally a thief, below is my old track number because he didn't give me a new one, please help!!

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Sent very important documents via DHL -Botswana to South Africa. DHL decided to adjust/modify destination address without my knowledge. Recipient spent the whole day waiting for the package to no avail. When I went to the original DHL that I sent it through they refused to take responsibility of their error. Package still has not been delivered. The documents are very sensitive documents for my sons visa application and now the deadline will not be met. I am so annoyed with DHL. 3 years ago they misplaced my package with a passport and I had to go through the hassle of tracking it myself. Very incompetent company. I will be taking my business to FedEx from now onwards.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

The problem is simple- I paid $20 for express shipping. It has now been 8 days. The first time DHL attempted to deliver they needed a signature and I wasn't home. I requested to have the package redelivered. Now they can't find the package. I am NEVER USING THEM AGAIN!!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Horrible is the best way to describe the experience. I sent 2 suitcases from Germany to Italy trusting DHL for the first time. The counter told me it would take 2 days and on the 6th day, I am still waiting. On top of it, the status in the tracking system has not been updated since the 3rd day. When I tried calling the German DHL no, after half an hour I somehow managed to get someone to pick the phone up. Though it is International service, all mechanical instructions would be in German. Added to this when I finally spoke to a lady, she rudely told me in English that no one there speaks English.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I was expecting an important bank related package with my cards today which required my signature on delivery. I was at my home address when I got the 'delivered' SMS. I tried to reach customer care multiple times and informed this but all they told is that it is already delivered but to whom when I am supposed to get. When I asked to check with the delivery person, they were not ready to share any information. Finally, at night some unknown person knocks at my home saying this package was delivered to their home. I was lucky enough to get my package. The address is perfect and there was my phone number and name well written.

Such an unprofessional way of transferring important documents requiring signature to some other home. If some delivery person can't find an address, why can't they call and confirm instead of delivering important stuff to some random home? Please be careful while using DHL service if you are sending valuable documents.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Case 1: Bad attitudes of the delivery man and without fulfilling the promise of the "door to door" service. Case 2: Lying and irresponsible. Lying just because someone did not want to walk upstairs and left my stuff irresponsibly somewhere without noticing me. I am so shocked the bad things happened to me within just 2 days. I don't know it's the same delivery man or not. But from now on I will use Hermes instead of DHL delivery service, even I used its services over decades. Disappointed.

Case 1: As I always know, the packages should be delivery "at my door." I live on 4th floor and to be a better customer, I wait EVERY TIME for your colleague on the 2nd floor to pick up my stuff. However, if it is between 3 and 7 kg, I will politely ask your colleague to bring it to "my door" because I have herniated disc problems and lifting heavy stuff will hurt my back. But shockingly, this time, the delivery man simply said "No. Why?" and just put it in the centre of the ground floor lobby after I had politely explained to him about my situation. His "so what" and "I don't care" attitudes really pissed me off.

When I asked him for his name, he simply refused my request again and just turned away to his delivery van leaving me and the package alone in the lobby! If he didn't want to bring my stuff to my door at the 4th floor (even it's his job), could he tell me the reason and let us together figure it out how to get it done, instead of such indifferent and impolite attitudes?

Case 2: The delivery man rang my bell and I answered him that I lived on the 4th floor. Then, he said nothing. I went downstairs and waited for the delivery man on the 2nd floor as usual. After a couple minutes, nobody showed up. Then I felt weird and went to the lobby of the ground floor, then I met a neighbour of mine and he told me that the delivery man said he COULD NOT FIND MY NAMEPLATE AND PUT IT SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE. (So, how could he ring my bell???)

Then I called the service center that I could not receive my package and the guy from the service centre told me that the delivery man HAS ALREADY INSERT IT INTO MY MAILBOX. Frankly, I was scared to death because the stuff was quite important. I kept asking the people around and finally and luckily I got it back.

Frankly, I don't mind the delivery man doesn't want to WALK. But, please tell me where he wants to stuff my package or simply tell me that he doesn't want to walk and just wants to insert it into my mailbox. I don't mind. BUT, DON'T, EVER, LIE.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

Package was ordered a month ago. Customer service keeps saying 2 more days. I've waited enough. I ordered another package. It is already here. My package is lost and they won't give me a straight answer. It's been in transit to my house for 5 days. I live an hour from Houston. Why is it taking so long? No one will give me an answer. Just tell me I have to wait.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I was expecting a package from DHL that I was not informed I had to be present to sign for; therefore, it was delivered during an afternoon that I was working. I came home to find a sign indicating that the package will be delivered again tomorrow. I had a roommate wait in the apartment the following day to sign the package for me. However, the person delivering the package did not buzz the door nor came up to the apartment. My roommate went downstairs to find a "I'm sorry we missed you" package slip on the apartment building door. I then called DHL and told them to send the package to a shipping facility, since delivering packages at home has been proven too difficult.

The address of the closest shipping facility they provided me with is not easily accessible by public transportation, so I had the shipping address changed to another local shipping facility. I was assured by DHL Customer Service that the package would be there by 9 AM on Nov. 1st. I called that shipping facility at 10 AM, who informed me the package was not there yet, but would be arriving that same afternoon. Due to my work schedule, I was not able to pick up the package until the following day. Before leaving my apartment, I checked the package's tracking number and saw that it had been signed for by a representative. Great! The package has arrived at the shipping facility!

Upon arriving to the shipping facility, which took me 25 minutes to get there, I was told the package was not there!!! I then had to call DHL Customer Service again to acquire where is my package, if it had been signed for??? Lo and behold DHL had sent my package to the shipping facility that is not easily accessible for me, after assuring me it would be sent to the shipping facility I can access. NO one notified me, or informed me that the package was sent to the wrong place! What kind of customer service is that? Now not only is my package very late, but I have to be inconvenienced yet again to go to the same shipping facility in the next few days hoping that DHL has finally sent it to the correct place. I will never, ever use this company's services again. Absolutely horrible!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I order from China often and it’s FREE SHIPPING and sometimes pay duty and taxes. I recently ordered twice and DHL for some reason was the courier. My duty and taxes was $4 on a $20 item however DHL charged me $25.52 tacking on another $15 plus tax to my charges. TWICE! They charged me more than the item was worth! I do not hire DHL to deliver my parcels so why am I paying them this ridiculous rate to bring my item 10 mins from customs? They are nothing short of THIEVES! When my items come by any other courier it is just the duty and taxes I pay not a courier fee. Whoever is hiring these people to deliver should be responsible for their outrageous fees not the receiver since I did not ever agree to paying courier fees. My orders say I’m responsible for duty and taxes. THAT'S IT! This company needs to be held accountable for charging receivers that did not hire them! They are the most cunning sneaky thieving company I’ve ever seen!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I ordered a package to a specific pack station. However for some reason DHL delivered it to their retail outlet, which was closed and was moving to another location. I tried to take my parcel 3 times, but I couldn't. The retail outlet is still closed. I called their customer service and they just told me that I need to wait and rejected to receive my reclamation. I will NOT use this company anymore!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

We paid DHL a rush delivery for our kids uniform age 6 -14 yrs /old. Because we have opening on October 28 2017 and games as well. But the box did arrive as expected. But missing 34 pairs/pcs. The box was re-taped and we had a report that it was damage and they are retaping or repacking it. We pick it up at DHL office and open it at site (DHL office). We show them it's missing and they did not do anything about it. They just show us the number that we call for this problem.

Now opening is tomorrow and games what do you want us to do? This are 6 yrs old and first time to play. KIDS, parents and people who are very excited for this event and who even chip in the money to pay the express delivery. Now it will GO INTO waste?? Because DHL fail to delivery the goods. I complain yesterday and they told me that I WILL get a call because it's very important for the as well. BUT NOBODY CALL FROM DHL UNLESS I OR WE CALL THEM!!

What kind of service u have? We will not let this go just like that. DHL broke the heart of our kids and parents. Now no uniforms, no parade and no games is what we will get from depending on DHL. We need our uniform. It's the hardship, stress and frustration is what DHL deliver to us. Need action on this ASAP. My dignity, trust of the parents you stolen from me. I'm so frustrated now.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

My package arrived 2 days after I placed the order and during those two days DHL sent me emails and text messages letting me know where my package was and when it would arrive. The tracking service was the easiest service I've used.

DHL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.

• Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.

• Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.

• DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.

• Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.

• Best for: DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs