1.54/5
Based on 213 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 24, 2018

758 DHL Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

The entire process was disappointing from start to finish. Miserable service every step of the way (including complaints!). I felt like extra fees were constantly springing up without any mention of them beforehand. I was informed I could pick up my package on Monday, which was a holiday, assumed the service center might still be open, and was disappointed to find that it wasn't. The next day, my boyfriend went to pick up the package and was met with nothing but rudeness from the clerk. The clerk literally opened the door and ushered him out with his arms when he didn't have a signed note - generally he felt like he was being talked down to like a criminal or an idiot.

This was in spite of being listed as a recipient, this was in spite of having his phone number on the package, in spite of him having the text from DHL. While inside, there was another lady complaining to the same employee. The employee cut the lady off in order to deal with my boyfriend. Both my boyfriend and I work full time jobs which makes it very difficult to even show up at a service point 3 days in a row (especially given the operating hours).

For the reference, this was at the Richmond street location in downtown Toronto on May 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. It was an absolutely miserable shipping experience and it goes without saying that I'll never ship DHL again. That said, given the rudeness and extra fees I'll also be telling others about how terrible the company's treatment has been. I've shipped with other companies and they get the job done fine. Other shipping companies don't make me question if I'm being scammed every step of the way. Also while trying to send this specific complaint, the site kept giving me an access denied message, so I submitted it here.

Original review: May 21, 2018

It is now 21st May, I originally complained on 10th April re package not received. Driver has admitted not delivering to me, signing delivery himself and now several different stories as to where he left it. DHL still advising my supplier that delivered but now to a neighbor. He told DHL he knocked at neighbor to retrieve package but I was with him when he suggested he had left at neighbors & when I said we knock he admitted he did not leave it there. The driver now has told several lies, all on record but they still will not refund or respond to the supplier; he signed my signature for God sake, that is illegal to start with. I have tried a direct complaint myself to DHL & got a load of lies back. I am now having to seek legal advice to get my money back & out of pocket expenses because of dishonesty by DHL. Disgusted.

Get expert buying tips about Shipping Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

My cousin from Germany had to send us a document to the USA and we needed asap. She sent it through DHL who gave her a tracking number. On the day it was supposed to arrive I called DHL and they told me that my cousin never gave them a package to ship. Then they told me it was a bad tracking number. Then I spoke to another person and they told me once again that my cousin never gave them a package. Basically, no one should ever send anything through DHL if they need something to arrive anywhere in a timely manner. Their customer service reps do not care to help anyone.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I special ordered some hair extensions for a customer's graduation. My shipment was scheduled for delivery on 5/11/2018. I gave special instructions for my package to be placed on the back porch inside the screen. When I got off work my package wasn't there. I called DHL and they said my package was on schedule to be delivered by the end of day, 10 minutes later I get a text message saying an attempt was made for delivery and my package would be rescheduled. I immediately called DHL and was told I couldn't get my package until 5/14/18 the same day as my customer's graduation. Too late. I will never use them again.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have been expecting some samples shipped from overseas to USA. On May 7, 2018 DHL website tracking stated it was out for delivery. I waited all day to receive the 4 boxes since I had to sign for it. Around 4:30 PM all of a sudden I noticed that the tracking stated, 'delivery attempted - not home.' That is a total lie. On May 8, 2018, the tracking site displayed that 'it would be delivered as agreed upon' and showed the delivery date as May 8, 2018. Once again I waited the whole day and no delivery took place. During the day from time to time I spoke with 4 representatives and each assured me to wait for the delivery. Finally at 8 PM another representative stated, throughout the day I was given wrong information. The boxes were actually scheduled for delivery on May 9, 2018.

So I have been waiting since morning for three days in a row for DHL delivery to show up. To ensure there is no miscommunication I spoke with 2 different representatives and verified. Around 10:30AM I received text messages on my phone that the boxes were with the delivery driver. Around 3:30 PM I checked the tracking again and noticed the boxes were delivered. Alas, there were not a single box at my door. I frantically called them back. And from Christian to Taylor to Cheryl to Juan (all from Phoenix, AZ) and from phone to online live chat - everyone has been giving a runaround and without any specific information. And now the last two times, both the representatives after listening to my concern placed me on hold and never returned.

As I write this entire report, I am still on hold and this time for no less than last half an hour. But I am going to stay on hold until that person or someone else returns on the line. Out of the 8 boxes of samples that were shipped paying a premium price (no less than $1600) - I am in left in this position. Tracking system shows boxes were delivered. But I have not received even 1 box. And their reps are not ready to help. If anyone knows how to resolve this please help. DO NOT EVER USE DHL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about DHL?

Original review: May 9, 2018

Buying Superdry online is totally terrible including their customer service and DHL express delivery. I just would like to share my worst experience about the missing parcel, and don't want anyone to be victim in this situation like me. Last couple months, my roommate recommended me about Superdry online. Then, we both have placed the online order separately from Superdry for the first time. The website mentioned that delivery was express, and we got it on time for the first order (express delivery should be less than three days). Later, I have placed two more orders continuously. The status of second order showed "It was delivered" in the fifth day since the day I placed the order, but unfortunately I did not receive this second parcel.

On that day, I got the message in the early morning asking about signature requirement, and I did say "No" as usual because my roommate and I were very sure to be able to take it on time, and the parcel should be delivered in shortly since the message was sent out. We kept checking all day long until the last message said "it was delivered" in evening time, and we still did not see any parcel in our building. At that time, I thought the delivery might be delayed and came at the same time with the third parcel. A day later, I got only the third parcel, and still couldn't find the second one. Finally, I decided to call Superdry's customer service, and the answer that I got was I had to contact DHL express by myself.

I kept calling DHL to find my parcel, therefore, he came in my building and said that he left my parcel inside the building by using password to unlock the door. I asked him back, "If you left it here, we should see it." The building's security camera is not working, and of course you can say "you left it here". The day after, I called DHL again, and the answer was "your neighbor might take it, you should ask them". You know what, in our building, so many parcels were left there over nights, but still not missing. I kept calling DHL express and Superdry's customer service for almost two weeks, but it still could not help anything.

Eventually, I sent the message via Superdry website about the missing parcel, and the answer that I got is "the liability for the parcel shifts from the courier to yourself due to no signature require". I'm done with Superdry after I saw this email. If I don't really want those stuffs, I won't waste my time calling you and DHL for almost two weeks.

I know you want to protect your benefit, but please understand customer's side. Your policy does not support customers. You should remind the customers about the liability without signature requirement before you ship the products out, not just asking Yes or No. Please work as professional as others do, for example, Amazon Prime, Sephora, Kiehl's, Zara, The North Face, Adidas, Neiman Marcus, etc. They don't even need to ask about signature, but their parcel were delivered completely. Or any unexpected situation happen, they still support and help customers. All in all, I'm sure I do not delivery my second parcel to my building.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I was waiting for my package from Pakistan. I was checking the tracking every 10-15 minutes, the moment I refreshed the tracking info again, I see a "delivery attempted". I live in a one way street, there is no other way around my house. I was sitting outside waiting for the DHL van to drop off my package, they NEVER SHOWED UP. I can see from outside who comes and who doesn't, because it is a WAY ONE street. There is no other way around the house. I called DHL three times, did they fix the problem for me as always. I asked to talked to the manager, his name was Wayne ** (in Arizona), he was NO help at all.

He said that if the driver knew the zone and he knew about my apartment that needed a gate code he automatically will marked DELIVERY ATTEMPTED, can you guys believe this???? I told him, that I waited the whole day and night for this package, and that driver didn't make it to the house. THE MANAGER DIDNT GIVE A ** ABOUT IT, DHL ARE A PIECE OF **. THEY DO NOT CARE FOR THE CUSTOMER, BE AWARE OF IT AND DON'T CHOOSE DHL AS AN OPTION.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I am so sick of this garbage courier service. They are German and in Germany there is no such thing as customer service. Perhaps this is why they never make an effort to improve their services. I am always waiting for packages that don't arrive on time... or at all. DHL is the most rubbish courier I have had experience with. AND don't expect DHL Express to be any better... in fact they will disappoint you even worse. It took DHL EXPRESS 2 weeks to deliver something that should have taken ONE DAY!!! The delivery guy's excuse to me was that he couldn't find the name on my apartment bell (it's typed in black bold letters on white background). Save your frustrations and use FedEx or UPS... DHL is like beating a dead horse.

Original review: April 27, 2018

I ordered something that came from China and was transferred to DHL about a year ago. As soon as DHL got the package they sent it back to the sender and reported it as delivered to me. So to make a long drawn out story short the company I bought the item from got their item back and tried to charge me for returning it unopened. Since I had never seen the item it was not me that returned it but DHL. So if it hadn't been for PayPal I would have had to pay shipping twice for an item I never got!

Original review: April 26, 2018

Last week they never updated the tracking, then they said it would arrive the following day but it arrived later the same day they contacted me, this openly demonstrates the lack of internal communication within DHL. This week a package was sent, the Company informed me that it left the warehouse but DHL Never Updated ANY information whatsoever, TWO DAYS LATER and the Tracking is stuck on exactly the same information: Tue, 24.04.18 19:24 - Today is the 26th - 2 Days Later and Still No Update. This is basically what happened recently and last week.

Original review: April 26, 2018

This company always say the package was delivered and signed for when no one is at home at the registered address. Sometimes they place the item in front the door where anyone could walk by and pick it up and didn’t knock on the door to notify the customer of the package.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I was headed out of town and needed my package fast. The delivery driver contacted me and met me on the side of the road as I headed out of town. They have great customer service.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The worst delivery in the world. You spend your entire the day waiting for deliveries from these people, and sometimes they don't show after waiting ALL DAY!!! Then you have to take off work the following day in order to receive your package. Where do they get these people. The Facility is less than 3 miles from house. This unacceptable!!!

Original review: April 24, 2018

I would never use them again, they are terrible about where the package is, can even lose your package and name so you can never find out where or what is going on.

Original review: April 23, 2018

DHL spends 2 days from China to Lisbon, then I’m waiting 7 days from Lisbon to Azores and my Pack is not delivered until this moment. This is the second time I work with DHL, and it’s all the same - Avoid DHL.

Original review: April 23, 2018

They exactly what I was needing, what and how and when. Very satisfied with this transaction, will tell my friends and family about the help I received. It was the end of the day and end of the week. Tired and just wanted to go home, not well with new people. Thank you very much.

Original review: April 22, 2018

One of the worst shipping carrier I’ve ever dealt with. I was expecting a package from Hong Kong, and expected delivery was April 19th, then it updated to 20 of April, then to 21 of April. Then it reached to my PO Box, and they took it again to somewhere else!!! Now I’ll be waiting over the weekend to have it shipped back to my PO box. Wow DHL.

Original review: April 22, 2018

Prices posted prominently not honored for international shipping zones. Prices significantly higher at time of payment transaction. Will never use DHL again.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Had no trouble. Got orders on time. Had everything sent to us still in great condition. We will and be grateful of anything sent. Will give good recommendation.

Original review: April 18, 2018

A tip. If you're importing international NEVER allow your account to be used. Always have your source use their own account and then reimburse them if needed. DHL will absolutely rape you on importing. I had a couple samples sent to me recently. $270 billed to my account. Only $60 when shipper used their account for the same package. My source was only getting a 5% better discount than I too. Had to learn the hard way that they have extreme hostility toward American importers. Also, it took them 3 weeks to issue me accounts when they'd promised 48 hours max and I have an 830 FICO score with a perfect payment history.

Original review: April 17, 2018

DHL is the worst. Every time when I expect a package and DHL delivers, I don't get it. They always claim that my address is wrong although when another firm delivers, they always find me. Now today I get a remark, that they can't find my name and I should send them my right name. But how??? There is no decent way to get in contact with them. DHL really sucks.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I had received a courier from UAE to India and the courier contains only few fancy jewelry items and other things worth 6000 rupees. I got a call from DHL for the address proof and all, I had submitted and it's been 1 week they are telling it is in clearance and clearance. I think this how INDIAN employees work and that is the reason we are still developing country. Not developed country. How much time it would take to get a clearance from customs. Are you people work daily or just come and go to offices. I strongly recommend others not to use your services ever. Yes I will write this type of review because you people are playing with the emotions of us.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Very professional company. Great customer service from dispatcher to delivery. They call you in advance and not lost time waiting. Amazing. Very warm personal service. I love that company.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Never update tracking numbers and when you call them they tell you that you have to contact sender if your package is lost and their online service chat is horrible. No one calls you back.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Bad service at DHL Lesotho. My good moved very fast in other countries except in my country Lesotho and I found it damaged. They played me a drama saying that one item is still at custom. They gave me late at night 20:00 HR. And I can't open it there at their office. They said they are closing. I found my item broken. When I come to complain they told I didn't open item with one of their office. I hate their service.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I use DHL regularly. The cost, and now surcharge, seem high but in the last six years I've no problems with them. Unlike EMS you can track your package easily.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I used DHL for a purchase that came from Marks and Spencer in England. The DHL driver called me on my cell and informed me he had left my package in my mailbox on the road. My mailbox is on Hwy 17n Awendaw, about five minute walk from my house, he said my address was not on his gps. My package of lingerie, very expensive could have been stolen, I reported it, but never heard anything about corrective action. I have used DHL many times never had a problem like this before. Shocking experience???

Original review: April 13, 2018

DHL is the worst way to ship something. They are inconsiderate, slow, and don't care if the items are in one piece or not! I've gotten two broken items delivered by them and their customer care was downright rude to me.

Original review: April 12, 2018

DHL International Delivery - DHL failed to deliver my package. They insisted - despite being confronted with contradictory evidence - that they had tried but failed to deliver it. These people are untrustworthy. They refused to acknowledge their mistake and were terse and unhelpful when I complained. This corporation treats customers as though they are a nuisance. Shocking customer service. I would never use them. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Terrible service with this company. They are so slooow. I could probably walk my package cross-country faster. They truck them to their distribution center which in turn turns them over to the POST OFFICE for delivery!!! This adds about a week to the delivery time. They are terrible.

DHL expert review by ConsumerAffairs

DHL has a presence in 220 countries and territories around the world, making it an easily accessible shipping option no matter where you are or where you need to send something. They offer solutions for businesses of all sizes, from eCommerce to manufacturing.

• DHL parcel and DHL eCommerce: DHL Parcel and DHL eCommerce provide standard parcel pick-up, delivery and return solutions internationally. These services are available for both businesses and consumers.

• Customs service: DHL customs brokers are available to help your business ensure you are compliant with all the latest customs laws and regulations. Customs and trade consultants can review your supply chain to optimize duties and identify potential risk areas.

• Cargo insurance: You want to make sure your cargo is insured for its full value in case it is damaged or destroyed in transit. DHL cargo insurance will protect your cargo from any damage or loss caused by an external cause. This can be purchased ad-hoc or as an annual plan, depending on the frequency of your shipping.

• DHL Express: Perfect for when you need a parcel or package shipped fast, DHL Express can make sure it reaches its destination in the shortest amount of time possible. Get an accurate quote on how long it will take to reach its destination online.

• Easy to use: DHL’s website makes it easy to track your orders. Sign up for an account to receive a discount on shipping and to place shipping orders. You can even order supplies online to use for shipping. To ship an item, simply fill out the online form, pay for shipping and drop the item off at one of DHL’s 4,500 service point locations worldwide.

• Best for: DHL is best for eCommerce and larger businesses, particularly those that ship internationally.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs