FedEx

96%

Compare Shipping Companies

Research top Shipping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

1,963people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with FedEx:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

Many experiences of their refusing to honor in insurance claims for things they broke or lost. I sued them no less than four times to collect what was due me. Worst of all, an item was lost which the driver falsely claimed was delivered, which was one of the ones whose claim was denied.

My husband and I have spoken with eight FedEx employees in the last several days and not one could or would help get our package delivered. I ordered a birthday present for my son 10 days ago and it was shipped FedEx 3 day shipping. FedEx absolutely refused to deliver to our house at a time when we would be home, after 3:30 pm so we could sign for the package. Even though I signed up with delivery manager and wrote notes to the driver on the three door tags, every employee we spoke to said they would absolutely not redeliver within any time frame. Every item of FedEx advertising that I have tells the customer to sign up for your delivery when and where you like. All lies. They refused to deliver the package to our house and said we had to drive to the FedEx station an hour away. Absolutely absurd! Never, ever use FedEx. Terrible company bloated with tons of customer NO SERVICE. Lots of overpaid management and no workers.

Reason for review: failure to deliver in a timely fashion despite being paid for a service. I ordered 4 packages which were to be delivered via FedEx overnight. I paid over $200 for shipping for a total of ~$5,000 in merchandise. The following day, 3 out of 4 packages arrived. No phone call/e-mail (which I requested) once the merchandise arrived. I asked that it be delivered to the management office of my complex with a required signature... nope! They drop it off at my front door when I'm not home, no signature. $4,500 of supplies, left on my doorstep. Luckily, my management office was amazing enough to go get it and bring it to the office until I got home. That was fail #1.

As for the missing package (fail #2) - I follow up the evening of anticipated delivery and FedEx tells me it will still be there by 8pm as they are "delayed". Long story short, it never made it. At that point, they promise next day delivery (Saturday) because it had arrived at Massachusetts and they'd be driving it to Rhode Island tomorrow morning. They said they'd call me when the truck was en route. Never called. I follow up with them by 10am the next day- they said the truck left 8:28 am and they'd call me as soon as it arrives at the shipment building. I call at noon, then again at 2pm - no one knows where the truck went. It's then 4pm and no follow up (the FedEx in RI closes at 5pm). I call back, and I find out the truck never left Mass. They are going to deliver it Monday now.

No apology, no excuse as to why they can't communicate properly, no follow up throughout this entire process until I initiate the phone calls. This company needs to be seriously revamped because it has no accountability for its actions. They know they can always say "contact your shipper" if something goes wrong. In my profession if you don't do your job efficiently, people die. In the FedEx world, they can completely fail at life and still keep their jobs with no reprimand. The irony truly makes me shake my head in disgust.

First, I used a pseudo address to complete this survey as I shouldn't have to sacrifice my privacy to share my experience. Waited 5 days for shipment from Fedex, checked the front door repeatedly on the day delivery was expected (from tracking details/updates). Suddenly, I refresh the tracking and it says package delivered, but there was no package delivered to my home. Fedex has 3 different people call me to verify my address - it was correct from beginning - and ask for physical description of my home. It's house. They all look similar. The street number is clearly printed on uniform black iron mailbox. There's no way to miss my home/address. MAJOR FAIL. Never have issues like this with UPS! Thankfully, most businesses use UPS over FedEx, so it'll be a year or more before it happens again!

With reference to Tracking **, the product was dispatched from Pune on September 19, 2016 and delivered in the Parel, Mumbai office in India on September 20, 2016. After several follow ups, I didn't get any response and on September 23, 2016 afternoon I decided to go personally to collect the courier. I was shocked by the rude behaviour of Mr. ** and Gabrie on stating that we are not responsible on updating the status as well as delivery due to internal problems. This was an classic example of irresponsible behaviour and pathetic service by FEDEX organization because of internal issues. Highly recommend not to use FedEx courier service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Fedex?

I ordered my new phone and FedEx tried to deliver the package to me while I was at work. When I got home I got the door tag that said they could not deliver it. I tried to reroute online, but the system would not allow me to do so. So I called FedEx. They told me the package was scheduled to be delivered the next day at 11 AM. I told them that I would not be there because I worked during the day and that they should not come at that time. The customer service representative called the station and got back to me to say that the package would be delivered the next day at 5 pm. I received a call later that day and FedEx left a voice message that there were no drivers left to redeliver, which was not what the note was supposed to be. So the next day, despite their assurances during my call that the package would be delivered after 5 PM, the tried to deliver the package again at 11 AM, for which I was not there because I was at work, just as I said I was.

So I called FedEx back and explained the situation that the package was supposed to be delivered after 5 PM. Once again they called the station, and got back to me saying that the station understood the situation and would in fact deliver the package after 5 PM. After I left work early and made it home by 4 PM and waited for 2.5 hours for FedEx, I checked the tracking to discover that they tried to redeliver at 1:33 PM, which again is not after 5 PM. Once again I called customer service and they informed me that they could not help me and that all they could do was deliver on Monday at 11 AM while I was at work. I ask to speak to a Manager and they passed me off to a customer advocate who told me that FedEx could not deliver after 5 PM and that I was "misinformed".

Despite my repeated recounts of the events to the FedEx customer advocate she refused to provide any service. Her only statement was FedEx does not have drivers this late and that they could not do anything for me but deliver at 11 AM on Monday, when I was at work, or put it on hold at a facility that was an hour drive from me and I am sick and told them so. They would prefer customers who are sick drive a hour to pick up a package and expose their personnel than to attempt any type of satisfactory resolution. FedEx completely failed to adhere to their commitments to me on the phone, failed to attempt any resolution for me as a customer and was dismissive and unhelpful. My company spends a huge amount of money with FedEx every year and I am exceedingly disappointed in FedEx's integrity in such that they lack integrity.

The vendor I purchased from shipped via FedEx Smartpost on September 14th. FedEx has now informed me it will arrive September 26th. FedEx advertises Smartpost as taking 2-7 days. Simple arithmetic tells me that this shipment will take 12 days after the date of shipment. This is hardly 2-7 days. It took 6 days to get from origin at New Hampshire to my nearest hub in Sacramento. It sat at FedEx for 2 days until they turned it over to USPS. Now it will take USPS 4 more days to get it the final 32 miles to my house. I thought 7 days was bad but it was all my vendor offered. 7 became 12 and I am without a critical resource even longer. Smart?

I was expecting a mattress to arrive sometime the next day so I called to see if I could get some kind of time general time frame. Agent arranged it so that they would call me before delivery. No phone call. Missed the delivery while I was at work. Second call, Agent arranges that I get it shipped via evening delivery the next night. No call. No delivery.

Now it's 6:45 so I call and check. Agent tells me that they scanned the wrong address and so the delivery went to the wrong address!!! No call or email to tell me this. Agent then tells me that I can pick it up at one of their locations!! I don't own a car and am by myself! Agent doesn't offer me a third attempt at delivery!! I had to remind him that I have another attempt as by FedEx's policy!! No manager to help resolve this!! Same talk-off and not a single care about the merchandise that they are responsible for!! No accountability. No resolution!! Nothing.

They misinformed, and mishandled merchandise. And they lied about having the wrong address since they already made a first delivery attempt. I am currently waiting for a 24 hour request hold before they can tell me when I need to pick my mattress up!!! Isn't misinformation a legal gray area? How can we hold a business accountable? False advertising to boot? No offer of a 3rd delivery attempt until I mentioned it?? No one wanted to help me.

I have received two packages from allposters.com. Both of them were damaged and there was a tear in one of the boxes. Also there is creases in the posters. It even says "fragile" on the box. Something really needs to be done about the incompetence of the people that puts the packages in the truck.

On 09/20/2016 I waited all day for a package to be delivered. Around 5:15 pm I noticed a FedEx truck fly by my residence, so I figured he would come back with my package which was said to be on the truck, out for delivery. The truck never came back. I checked the tracking again and it was indicated the package had been delivered at 2:00 PM. Left at front door. There was no package left at my residence, the truck did not stop. I made a call to FedEx to make a complaint and to see if they could contact the driver and have him backtrack. They stated that the driver then said that he slid the package under my front door. Which is impossible to do.

I subscribed to the Blue Apron box meal service. They ship via FedEx ONLY and Friday is my delivery day. I live at the end of the FedEx route. This has been a problem since boxes containing perishable food rides around on a truck from before daybreak until as late as 7:45. And this is in the Alabama heat. I am easy to find since I live on a numbered street that is well marked. And I am the only house in my 9-digit zip code and the only house on my street. The problems come in when the drivers near the end of the day and it is raining, or cold, or hot, or whatever and they will just skip me and deliver on the next business day. The drivers openly tell me that they do this --- because FedEx keeps adding more deliveries without more time.

On Friday, 1/16/16 I was due a package. I was careful to be available so I would get it refrigerated quickly. By 8 PM, the box had not arrived. So I pulled up FedEx tracking and it had a delivery record showing it was delivered at 7:45 PM. I called FedEx and was told that it had been delivered, but as we were talking an additional entry was made saying that delivery was pending. The FedEx guy said that "no problem" that they would deliver it on Monday. I questioned why it was marked "delivered" when it obviously was not. The FedEx employee became belligerent and even more so when I questioned why there were two different entries for the package, one that had appeared during my call. I was called a liar and told that I was trying to pull a scam. He kept referring to people "like me" as nothing but trouble (I live in a mixed upper middle class neighborhood) and said he could cause me no end of trouble.

The next morning a FedEx driver showed up with the package which was wet, dripping and partially collapsed. Needless to say I refused the package --- this is the third time. And I cancelled my Blue Apron account. Not only did FedEx tracking show the package delivered the previous day, apparently this was told to Blue Apron who sent me an email saying that FedEx would keep the box frozen until it was delivered. The driver said this was untrue that it was just sitting behind her van in the warehouse.

But my cell phone had died last Thursday and I needed to buy a new one. I live in Tuscaloosa. FedEx tracking showed that the package reached Birmingham, about 40 miles away, on Sunday afternoon. I tried to retrieve the package from the local FedEx shipping point and was told that even though it was there and accessible and technically my property, someone had added instructions not to deliver it until Friday, 9/23. It appears that someone is making good on the threat to cause me problems. When I returned home from the FedEx office, my mail box had been knocked down. A neighbor said that it was a FedEx truck which seemed to be having trouble making a turn and backed into it in the process. FedEx denies that this happened.

An email was sent to their customer fraud site. FedEx cooked up a story that they had delivered it to the wrong house and had to pick it up. They now contend that they stored it in a non-existent freezer overnight. And that they had every right to hold any package coming to this address until the last possible contractual second --- 7:59 on the 5th business day. I do not have problems with either UPS or the USPS and my house is very visible, and the shipping address is correct. Throughout FedEx employees have refused to give their names or an identifier such as employee number.

I would like to express my disappointment with the FedEx service. I sent my Kid's passport to CKGS APPLICATION CENTER NEW YORK for Indian Visa stamping on 29th Aug 2016 through FedEx. It was overnight delivery, well here is what happened. FedEx shipped my package to Wisconsin because of their system issue and I tracked package for a week but they were not able to answer. I filed a claim on Sep 08, 2016 and they took another week to trace package and were unable to retrieve it. I had Return flights booked for India on Oct 15th, 2016 which I will not be able to take as passport is lost and I cannot get new passport and visa stamped in this time. Total loss because of this delay cost me. Indian Visa stamping fees $156. Cancellation of Return Flights for 3 people : $950+$1200. Expedite passport fees $186.

I have been in contact with FedEx back and forth for the past 3 weeks. I talked to FedEx representatives number of times in last 3 weeks, to track my package and to get status of the claims but it was pretty much same all time that we are trying to trace it. FedEx last sent a check of $100 and said this is as per policy for the loss of package.

FedEx has ruined vacations of my family, that aside they are not even covering the costs of the passport fees. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated. I think you will understand, why I am upset at the manner in which this was handled. I expected a much higher level of service from your company, and I am quite disappointed. As a customer, one only expects a world-class global company that offers services like FedEx to be more professional and do better in servicing its clients. I will be informing my friends and family about this experience.

My last 4 orders have been damaged, delayed, or the box was destroyed when delivered. Customer service doesn't care and doesn't want to be bothered! The last shipment I paid for overnight it was shipped and they went to tell me that it was Amazon's fault although Amazon have me their tracking everything to have here within two days and FedEx said well it won't be here today even though it showed it was out for delivery. Waited all day and called back for them to tell me I would not have that Saturday by 8 but should expect it by Wednesday by 8. WHAT? I paid for express 2 day and get 7 days later. NO way! Had it stops, refused, and sent back. Drove over 100 miles and bought one at Best Buy! Was very upset and FedEx could have cared less!

Amazon gave me credit refunded before returned and apologized and told me they would look into other shipment companies for my things. The two before that had something broken in it and again could care less. One order was so damaged the company said FedEx sent back to them and I had to have the whole order resent to me. My order today stamped fragile all over and box all beat up again. They just don't care!!!

FedEx gouges on customs fees and presents fees when there is no reason to charge them in the first place. There are only two companies in the world that gouge customers to this extent - one being FedEx and the other being DHL. They have both been doing this for years based on the technicality of "there is no competition so we can get away with it". Luckily, such is no longer the case. From my experience it is best to use regular mail rather than FedEx or DHL for any small value international shipments. The much vaunted "service standards" for each are a bunch of hot air, as they are based on actual complaints received rather than on actual on-time deliveries, so you are paying extra for something that does not exist anyways. I was in the business and I know how these statistics are created. Using regular airmail will avoid the gouging and the headaches of dealing with same after the fact!

I was sent the wrong part that I ordered. After contacting the company, they sent a new one using FedEx. A tracking number was sent to me by email. The package was scheduled to be delivered and the tracking said it was on the truck for delivery. After waiting at home all day, I checked the tracking number again. Now it said the driver couldn't find my house and my package was rescheduled for the next day!!! I have lived here for 8 years and had many things delivered by many different carriers without any driver saying he couldn't find my home. I called customer service and was basically told "sorry but that's the way it goes, have a nice day". I will request that senders use other than FedEx to ship to me.

I just received my package from FedEx. I ordered something from Directv and when I got my package I could see that someone cut opened my package half way, you can see what's inside of it and I don't like that someone in that company opened MY PACKAGE. The only good thing is that it wasn't something valuable. This has not happened to me before but like some people say "there's always a first time." If I could give the FedEx 0 stars I would, that is just not acceptable at all.

Paid more than 100$ for international shipment. They didn't inform me when it got into customer clearance. It's been more than two months, still my courier didn't get delivered... They didn't contact the address or phone number given, but updated the tracking number as incorrect address. ** service... Worst worst worst service. Please do not go with FedEx. Same happened in domestic service also. Very very worst and disappointed.

FedEx has not and still continues to not be able to deliver a package to my house. Now they cannot even find my son's house. Too many calls to them always fall on deaf ears and emails about their poor service go unanswered. I'm glad there are location like here that take reviews from actual screwed customers. I have always worked in a customer based businesses. I don't understand how a company as awful as FedEx is can continue to stay in business. Looks like if someone needs a job where there are no repercussions for performing horribly and not doing your job at all, FedEx is the place to go. I have even asked FedEx to take the package to a local UPS or USPS and let them deliver it to me because they always have without fail. They wouldn't do it though. And most times when I order something I cannot request it not be delivered by FedEx.

I shipped a Package from USA to India. This is my 3rd shipment in 1 month through FedEx. Apparently FedEx has outsourced a BPO to handle the Administrative and Delivery Process to CoGenteServices.Com My tracking number **. The recipient has been waiting at home since Saturday September 10. Today, the Tracking showed Held, unable to collect payment. There was no call, no communication from FedEx India that they needed Payment. My folks waited at the balcony all day, no FedEx person knocked on the Door or even Called. FedEx India [CoGenteServices.Com ] 1 Big Lie. They conveniently update Tracking Number with Misinformation. If any one in FedEx USA is reading I would seriously like to Talk to you about this. This is my 3rd Package in 1 month. And a 3rd Blunder that FedEx India has created. At this Rate... 3 out of 3. FedEx is bound to Perish.

I paid a lot of money to have a package overnighted. After 2 days the package arrived at my local FedEx and I am told I can't even go pick up and not wait for delivery since they don't want to unpack the shipment. So when FedEx says overnight it really means 4 days. This package was super important for the day that I needed it and am now being told it will be delivered after that day. And when I expressed that was not ok and I really needed to go pick up, was told to have a nice day and basically hung up on. The package was an 8 years in the making and was needed for a once in a lifetime moment. So when you pay the most money possible to have it here overnight that's what that should mean... Not 4 days later! So disappointed and at all costs I will never use FedEx again!

The tracking number provided with my purchase stated the delivery was made to my door on 9/2 at a time when I was home and actually sitting with a window view to my front door. Box was never left -- no doorbell rang, nothing. I checked with the leasing office and it was not there either, so I filed a dispute in order to have the driver figure out where my package was. The driver confirms he dropped my package off, but when he describes the location where he left it, that is not my unit at all. He NEVER even dropped the box off anywhere near my door and now I am stuck in limbo between FedEx and the shipper. Disputing or doing the trace is completely ridiculous if it's just going to be my word that the box was NOT delivered and the driver who claims he dropped it off properly -- which is simply inaccurate.

There was nothing done to help me except an "I'm sorry." Now I have to provide my shipper with an alternative address, which is annoying because I work from home -- so now I have to go out of my way to give a relative's address and then drive to pick up my box all because the FedEx driver was lazy or didn't care that he wasn't in front of my unit when he left the package. I also don't appreciate that he's acting like he did his job when he even stated in the dispute that he left my box near another unit number.

On September 7, 2016 I waited all day for a package to be delivered. Around 5:15 pm I noticed a FedEx truck fly by my residence, so I figured he would come back with my package which was said to be on the truck, out for delivery. The truck never came back. I checked the tracking again and it was indicated the package had been delivered at 5:11 PM. Left at front door. There was no package left at my residence, the truck did not stop. I made a call to FedEx to make a complaint and to see if the could contact the driver and have him backtrack. I got this fast talking employee that took my information, said someone would call me in 24 hours. I'm still waiting. My complaint sounds similar to several reviews I read, maybe THE BBB should look into the shady way FEDEX employees operate. If a box is address properly how can one not be deliver to its correct destination? They are ripping off the consumer.

I tracked my package and shows delivered to address on file, but I was at home and nothing been delivered as showed. I went to the local office and they told me my package shows delivered but I told them I haven't got anything on the date, time and place mentioned. They know who supposed to delivered it, and when confronted him he mentioned it was even delivered at that blue house, and I told him my house isn't even blue...they google my house and showed him. Then he said it was delivered to the wrong address. How could some have an address then leave a mail at totally different address. Either someone doesn't know his ABC requirement job or someone careless, either of them do not have to keep their job. That was a very important document he was messing with...and sorry couldn't make it better. That was a second time happens to me with FedEx express.

I was waiting for a delivery. I live in a locked apartment building, there is a sign - "deliveries at the back" because that door is usually open during the day. Three days the FedEx guy put the "Sorry we missed you" notice on the FRONT DOOR, right above the "deliveries at the back" sign. So, I called the national customer service because I live in traffic hell and I really did not want to go to another city to pick up the package and was trying to have it sent back. They refused to send it back and were extremely rude acting like I was an awful person for not camping out in my front yard in 90+ degree weather for an entire day to catch the delivery guy and making me feel like I am a pest and a liar (I was doing this through the company that I made the order from, so their customer service rep, who was extremely polite was handling the conversation).

When I asked for it to be sent back, the FedEx customer service rep started yelling at me that they made three attempts to deliver, that they were done helping me and that wanting my package was my problem, not theirs. My main issue is just the rudeness. I get delivery people are underpaid and it's frustrating but there is no reason a national customer service should be treating customers like they are bad people for missing deliveries or for asking for information. I avoid using FedEx at all costs. I would rather sit at the DMV or get a root canal than have to deal with this mess again.

FedEx lost my parcel. I tracked it. They said they delivered it Saturday, August 6, 2016 to my back door. I was home all day Saturday, no delivery and besides I do not have a back door. I've been trying for a month to get this claim resolved. FedEx is incompetent, rude, uncooperative and just all in all a lousy FedEx experience. If you have a choice use UPS or USPS and save yourself a lot of money time and aggravation. FedEx sucks.

After so many failures with deliveries from FedEx the shipper my company has choose to use I decided to take this to social media in hopes that others beware!!! FedEx has built a very undependable reputation of promising packages to reach a destination on a certain day only to not deliver as promised and this happens all the time with them. I am the sales rep and I have no control over who my company ships through. This package was supposed to be delivered over night.

Now after 6 days I am still trying to get the package delivered. Since the package did not get delivered the customer service person that I spoke to who is from Central America (name) Rocio a Customer Advocacy person was unprofessional and lied. Also could not understand most of her comments. Where is this promised package they did not deliver? This package was supposed to be delivered over night!! This morning I spoke to another customer Advocacy person Samantha who has no compassion or skills to do her job. The only thing Samantha did was defend every screw up FedEx did and says she can't help me at this time. I hoping that other companies read this and stop using FedEx. Their name should be very SlowEx. This company sucks big time.

I got a package shipped last week and it's been sitting in my hometown for 3 days now. This is honestly ridiculous. It's pissing me off. I will try not to have anything shipped FedEx ever again. USPS is the way to go.

Scheduled delivery date was Saturday. I was waiting for the delivery at my office. Around 3.40 pm I found from tracking information that the driver reported saying the customer was not available to pick up the item at 3.29 pm without ever attempting to deliver. When I called customer service they also lied saying the station is closed even though home delivery is open on Saturday. Worst service and no professionalism.

FedEx is sucks. The online tracking shows that package was delivered at front door and signature is not required. When I opened the door, nothing was there. Shows that package was delivered at 2:14 PM and I opened the door at 2:20 PM and within 5 min my package goes away. How this is possible. I was searching from here and there in entire community. Even I went leasing office 2 times to ask them if they received but nothing was there. There are very important documents inside the package and now the package is not there. I mean how FedEx driver such a careless to leave the package at front door without signature. Such a bad experience. First and last time. I'll never suggest to anyone to use FedEx service instead UPS or USPS are good.

My mother and I ordered a 16 pound bag of cat food, 31 pound bag of dog food, 35 pound container of cat litter, and 2 12 packs of wet dog food from Chewy.com to make it easier for my older mother so she doesn't have to pack them into her car and take them out of her car. FedEx delivered it to the wrong house -- the number was a huge difference. At 10AM, and the owner of the house it was delivered to came and told us it was left at their house by mistake. We called FedEx at around 1:30 and told them about the issue, and they said since it was a total of over 100 pounds they'd send a truck to pick it up and deliver it to the right address.

By 3:30, we still didn't have the packages, so we called again and they said they'd have a truck out by 5:30. Still no packages, we called AGAIN and no one had any idea what was going on, and they transferred us to the guys at the terminal and said that since it was 6PM we'd have to wait till the next day since the terminal was closed. My mom and I weren't going to leave it at the house they delivered it to, so we had to pick up over 100 lbs worth of stuff because FedEx LIED, DIDN'T CARE and WOULDN'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR HUGE MISTAKE. My mother is lucky I was around to help her with this HUGE issue.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Since it’s official opening in 1973, FedEx has been focused on delivering products for consumers and businesses efficiently and quickly, utilizing air transport for express shipping. It has evolved since then to include international shipping, ground shipping, FedEx Freight and FedEx Office, which is a physical location where consumers and businesses can pack, ship, print, copy and perform other important tasks.

• Fast shipping: The whole point of FedEx is to get packages to their destination fast. Choose between ground or air shipping, depending on where your package needs to go and when it needs to get there.
  • FedEx Freight: FedEx Freight is for businesses that need to ship heavier and larger cargo and freight. Generate your bill of lading and set up your shipping preferences online for maximum convenience.
  • Air/ocean freight forwarding: Businesses who need to ship freight overseas can easily utilize FedEx’s Air/ocean freight forwarding service. Download all the forms you need, including customs forms, from the website, then pass them on to your carrier.
  • Temperature control: Businesses that are shipping freight with temperature sensitivities can utilize FedEx’s temperature control options. Temp-assure ground and air keep  your cargo cool by placing it in a temperature controlled container.
  • FedEx Delivery Manager: Take control of when your shipments arrive by signing up for FedEx Delivery Manager. This free service allows residents to customize their delivery time, choose to have their package left at a FedEx delivery location instead of at their home, receive delivery notification or request a vacation hold.
  • Best for FedEx is best for individuals and businesses that need to ship items fast.

Compare Shipping Companies