3.8/5 (209 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About Telecheck

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

Telecheck Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Telecheck?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Telecheck?

Original review: March 1, 2021

At the beginning of February, I lost my debit card and canceled it then the post office lost the new one so now I'm waiting on another new one. Since then I've been having to write checks to pay for things. Everything was fine until last when Telecheck started blocking a my checks. Them people are idiots. When you call it's an act of congress in itself. When someone finally answers they don't exactly understand you and you can barely understand them since they are all foreigners. Then they only unblock the check you tried to write but will block every other check after that so you are continually having to call them. This is ** ridiculous. These idiots need to be shut down. Causing people embarrassment and emotional distress. If you lose your debit card and have to write checks instead, avoid Walmart all together.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

Dear Public, Until 02/16/2021 I had never heard of this Telecheck Co. Sadly, I see my experience has been documented all too many times on this site for years. I am an elderly individual, like so many others, who has been writing good checks for decades. On 02/16/21 earlier in the day, I went to our local Food Lion store here in Powhatan Va. I have been shopping there for years using my Bank Debit Card or Cash. During this time, our power companies power was cut to our house for several days after a catastrophic Ice Storm. Another Ice storm was expected, so, I went to purchase essentials.

During this first visit, I put $89.00 on my Debit Card. When I returned home, I realized that I had forgotten the Grape Jelly and Cookies. So, I returned to the same store now packed with folks shopping before the next Ice Storm. When I got to the front of the long check out line, I realized that I had left my Debit Card in the Truck. Rather than go all the way out into the full parking lot and start all over again at the back of a long check out line, I decided to write a check in the amount of $8.89. This Check was declined Twice, I was being Totally Embarrassed, and Humiliated In front of my peers! I just have to say, every Fool knows that Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches are a necessity during any power outage! Come on, these guys declined a check for $8.89!

Of course, I got the same response as many of you, not enough information etc. Just who are these Parasites? Food Lion and TeleCheck should, in my humble opinion, should be publicly shamed for such egregious behavior! To decline a check written for any essentials during a Pandemic or Impending Severe weather event is morally reprehensible! For these two Business to decline a check for $8.89 during the above mentioned events, should illuminate for all just how truly pathetic they truly are!

As a result of my experience with this behemoth, I have had my Bank filed a complaint. I have also filed a complaint with the State attorney General's office as well as the Federal Trade Commission, Food Lion Corp. and TeleCheck. In closing, How many decades and hundreds of thousands of times shall people be embarrassed, and humiliated through no fault of their own??? Now is the time for Senate Hearings before The Federal Trade Commission. This abuse of power has to stop!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Telecheck is a mess, they're inept and closed on weekends and they shouldn't be. They're quick to take your check writing privileges and take forever to return your check writing privileges, it's terrible. You have to harass them to get anything done. Bottom line, telecheck should not exist, period.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

I have been writing checks at most of my local merchants for over 25 years with the same account. Suddenly, I have had three checks declined in two days. I called Telecheck and got a rep who told me it was because I had used checks out of sequence. Why going from check number 2800 to check 3000 should upset them so greatly I do not understand, but he said he had cleared it up. The next day, I tried again to write a check at a different store. Rejected again. The reason this time? I have too many rejections!! So they can reject a check for no reason except some badly written/Big Brother statistic that is barely legitimate. Now according to them, I need to wait 7 calendar days to write another check. Which is making my life a living hell. So, someone tell me who we get hold of to take this poorly run company to court? There are more than enough horror stories about this company to take them down. It's time to start.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

Telecheck presented a check to my bank which was paid. They then resubmitted the check to my bank as NSF resubmission. They are completely nonresponsive to information sent to them by me and by the bank, and are making me jump through hoops (getting copies of two months of bank statements because the first check was in Dec and the second in Jan) (writing a letter explaining the complaint and mailing it all with a copy of their letter to me). In the meantime, they have my $300 plus a $30 nsf fee for a total of $330 charged to my account in error. I've spent over six hours trying to resolve this with no luck.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I was using checks while getting my debit card replaced because it wasn't working. I wrote three checks in two days and the third check was rejected at a grocery store although the same store had accepted a check the day before. I asked why and was told it's because Telecheck rejected the check. So I called Telecheck and they said it was because my writing 3 checks in two days was not my usual pattern. That's true. I usually use the debit card but I was using the checks because I didn't have the debit card. So now I guess it's cash only until the new debit card arrives. Really annoying and inconvenient. The checking account had plenty of cash. I guess Telecheck thought the checks were stolen. Fortunately the grocery store manager let me have my $25 worth of groceries for the $20 I had in my wallet.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2021

Needed urgent surgery for pet. Check was declined (I have THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS in this account). I was told that I did not have any debt history with Telecheck. The person said that I needed to have debt in order to gain history for future approvals. SO I HAVE TO GO INTO DEBT, OR CREATE SOME FAKE DEBT IN ORDER TO HAVE MY CHECKS APPROVED. I DON'T THINK SO!!!! This is nothing but a misuse of information and they get paid to reject payments so they look good to their customer, i.e. protecting them. Now I need to drive an hour to my bank, then another hour to the animal hospital, then another hour home. I don't use "plastic" for a reason. Each time you see a Telecheck sign you need to tell the business that they are being taken advantage of...AND will have less customers. I would think every dollar counts.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I tried to purchase an item at Best Buy and pay with a check. Telecheck rejected my check even though my account is valid, has plenty to cover the check I issued and has no unusual activity. Telecheck cited all these as reasons to reject it, claiming unusual activity and fraud. No amount of reasoning to either Telecheck or Best Buy made them accept the check. Do not patronize merchants who use Telecheck.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

On 10/10/2020 had to use Telecheck at Best Buy. 3 checks written, not accepted, talked to their CSR and was told absolute fabricated lies (too many checks written, amount too much, didn’t have my info, etc) had to use credit card. Terrible service. Terrible company.

Original review: July 2, 2020

So I wrote a check out of a money management account to my veterinarian's office for my dog's dental. Check was denied TWICE, and there was absolutely NO reason for the denial. Am currently on the phone with this worthless company trying to find out why, and all I'm getting from this poor English speaking person is that there isn't enough check writing history on this account, which is why they denied it. WTH!

So I find out that the reason my check was denied both times was because they have no check writing history on me! So is that any reason to deny someone's check? It USED to be that a check was denied because of BAD check history, or no money in the bank to cover said check. I can see why there's all of the negative reviews now. I will make sure that I never write another check with someone that uses Telecheck for their check verification services.

Original review: June 23, 2020

The agent demands all your financial records. If you refuse for fear of credit theft. She ruins your check cashing in the US. You can't contact anyone but her what leads me to believe the whole telecheck company is corrupt. I have gotten use to using cash for fear if I give her to all my banking accounts the company will rob me of all this my funds.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Very very poor English to be dealing with English speaking people. I had a little savings, & somehow these people got a hold of the account number. They repeatedly pushed charge after charge for items I did not receive from Amazon, that in fact wound up in Quincy Illinois. Amazon refunded items they could but the ones that somehow wound up with Telecheck was out of their control. Neither had permission to debit my savings account. I tried getting the $420 back from Telecheck. My bank tried as well. Any help is appreciated.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I have been trying to reach them by phone, email and fax. No response. Who are these people and where do they get their information. Why would anyone call somewhere and input their routing number and bank account number. That is insane! I haven't written a check in 4+ year and they denied me the ability to pay a bill by EFT. Based on what information. I can't get ahold of anyone to even fix this. I see this as an excellent opportunity for a class action lawsuit for all of us that have been wronged by Telecheck.

Original review: March 15, 2020

Telecheck is a complete fraud. They have started declining all of my checks although I do not have any bounced checks. They say that the account I have used for a year now & that they have approved my of all of a sudden does not have enough history to approve. They say I need to wait 7 days for the system to refresh. Refresh from what they will not say. Don't ask for a supervisor anytime except Monday thru Friday 8AM to 5PM. How many places have you worked that did not Have a person in charge during business hours. If it is Monday thru Friday 8AM - 5PM it is still a joke getting a supervisor or a honest answer from any call center employee. Not to mention everyone you talk with is a foreigner. I do not think that there is a single American that works for this fraudulent company. I gave this co. 1 star however I wish I could have given them a -5. Beware.

Original review: March 4, 2020

I shop at my local grocery store, I wrote checks there all the time, had no problem whatsoever. They since then got new registers, then the problem started, code 3. Code 2,, I'm like wtf. Had no issues before now issues, I wrote a check 2 days ago went through. Today nope, can't help ya. I said seriously, I called them once it's like being on a Comcast phone line. You are on till you finally get human life, and they don't understand you.

They try to determine your financial life with data and statistics. But yet they don't work with you, they don't live with you. They don't have kids with you. But 1 press of a button they can computation analysis you with data and statistics. Seriously. Are you going to statistically figure when I step off of a curb to get hit by a bus. Or statistically keep me alive long enough to figure I got a lot of money in the bank to cover the check I wrote before I got hit by a bus, this company has risen above and beyond of making money. But our government allowed them to do it. And of course fraud is everywhere.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

I received notice in the mail that I was reported for some bad checks that was written in a supermarket in Texas. A total of 18 checks in 2 days. Mind you my checking account was closed prior to those checks because of fraud activity. I sent Telecheck all my information fraud letter from bank etc. Along with the fact that in Connecticut. They come back saying the information is accurate. This is ridiculous. I don’t write check period and now they saying owe all this money. I can’t get through to anyone there. My driver's license number don’t even match my information. This sounds like a total scam. I need someone to contact me and have this resolved.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I had a charge called "INTERNET WASTE MANAGEMENT DOE JOHN" on my checking account. They used routing number and account number for the charge. The bank gave me the phone number associated with the charge and it led to Telecheck. It was impossible to get through to a live human to find out what the charge was for, so I have disputed with the bank. One would think that the name John Doe would raise some suspicion, yet the bank did not flag it on their own. Very weird.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

I tried to use a check to pay for repairs to my vehicle to a shop I have used routinely for years, but always paid with cards. We decided to use a check this time, but the check was declined for not enough history. I called the hotline listed on the decline and after spending a lot of time going through an automated menu, I received a length explanation that either I wasn't in their system or it wasn't consistent with previous check writing habits. I pushed one to transfer to an operator. The agent essentially asked me questions straight off my check, so nothing that would actually validate my identity or provide anything useful. He then stated that checks would start having a higher chance of being approved in 7 days. I explained that I was paying for repairs to my vehicle and this needed to be approved now, or I might lose my job for not being able to get to work. He stated there was no way to override the system, and that I would have to wait the 7 days.

I was escalated to a "supervisor" who had nothing to say but I'm sorry, and there is no way to override the system. So essentially, if you plan on writing a check, you have to try and write a check somewhere 7 days beforehand so it can be declined and you can call and make sure you are good. Then they promise that "it's more likely to be approved." The company is ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I went to write a check at Tractor Supply today and was declined. I had the money in my account but didn't have my debit card with me. I called Telecheck and was told I had never written a check to Tractor Supply before therefore it was deemed risky. Well, I think it is risky for a company to have an opinion on my ability to purchase goods. I will never shop anywhere that uses this company.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I shop at Walmart regularly at least 1-2 times a week, and my current checking account I have had well over 15 years. Back the end of December I tried to purchase $174 worth of groceries by check. I was declined. I knew there were plenty of funds. I went to the service desk to call Telecheck. After 45 minutes the supervisor reversed the denial and my groceries were purchased. Today, a Saturday I again went to Walmart to purchase groceries and my check was declined again. This time I got on my phone right there. The first time I was told I didn't write enough checks and this time I was told my check for $175.42 was excessive amount for me to write. I ask to speak with a supervisor as this had just started happening and it needed to be cleared up and the denial reversed. I could hardly understand her and there were no supervisors there to clear this crap up on the weekend.

Saturday my bank is closed and during the week they don't give out this customer information. After 45 minutes of getting nowhere. I was so upset and embarrassed. I even spoke to the Walmart manager. She told me it wasn't Walmart and I didn't have a bad check from looking a the denial code. She also said what gives Telecheck the right to tell you how much is excessive.

Telecheck is not a certified or governed company. They have no quality control and basically do what ever they want with no regulations. This is so wrong, a company with no supervision on the weekends can have this much power. I am glad to have found this site as I couldn't understand why this was happening to me. Also it seems like this could be a form of discrimination. I too will not shop at Walmart until they either regulate Telecheck or get rid of them. And it is Walmart that is letting this bad behavior thrive. I will be speaking with an Attorney as I am so very tired of being taken advantage of by unscrupulous companies.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

We are currently building a house, and every time we try to pay with check at Home Depot and our check gets declined! So far we had 4-5 times consecutively this happened to us. After spending 1-2 hours on the phone with telecheck, they will finally approve the check! Very frustrated with this company.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Good luck actually getting a person on the phone to ask a question because I have been calling for 3 days and all I get is the automated response. You can be guaranteed I will NEVER use this company again. I paid my cellphone bill via EFT and they use Telecheck unfortunately. It's been over 2 weeks and the payment still hasn't posted and I can't get anyone on the phone to find out what's going on. I'll just pay in cash next time because this has been a total nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

I received notice that I had 3 returned checks. I immediately called and paid for them with a different account debit card. Later I received bank statement saying the checks were paid! I immediately called Telecheck and they agreed I paid twice and said I would have the money back on the debit account within a few days. I called to question when no money had been returned. I faxed bank statements proving I had been charged twice. It's been over 45 days and I have 0. Telecheck Company should be investigated. They are thieves and liars.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I moved from Fl. to N.Y. in June of this year. My Mom 95 opened a checking account here. Shortly thereafter we went to Wal-Mart to buy groceries. A check was written out and declined. Causing a little embarrassment to my Mom I paid with a debit card from the same bank. Was given a phone number to call. I did and was told we needed to start writing out checks with smaller amounts. This was done for about two months and we tried again, no luck. Tried about October and a check went through. Problem solved?? Presented a check this date (12-03-19) and was refused. I would like to know how this happens?

My Mom most likely has a higher credit score than ANYONE in that company and is refused her groceries again. This practice is UNACCEPTABLE and I will no longer do business with Wal-Mart or Sams Club where I have been a Member for 14 years. I do not think Telecheck has the right to decline a check payment. This loss goes to Wal-Mart and Sams Club.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

TRS RECOVERY AND TELECHECK are fraud companies collecting on fraud Transactions never Authorized by the Consumers for online transactions from Amazon and other online Companies. TRS RECOVERY SERVICES violates the FCRA and FDCPA and Fraud complaints have been filed thru the FTC against TRS RECOVERY SERVICES and TELECHECK.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

I have a business and I write checks to Walmart every week to purchase items and every time I write a check it is declined although there are sufficient funds in the account and the account is in good standing. I have called them every week to determine why my checks are being declined and every time it's a different reason. Telecheck needs to change the patterns on how a fraudulent check is detected. This is ridiculous and I wish Walmart would change who they utilize. It's embarrassing and TElecheck is the worst.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Do NOT purchase from Telecheck. I have found they are complete frauds and in my opinion, noting but thieves. The checks are continually declined even though funds are available in the account. No one you speak to at telecheck is American and they just feed you lies about the account needing to build credit. My account is 20 years old, my credit is well established. When I requested a refund for the purchase price of these useless checks, I was refused (theft!!!).

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I have been a Walmart shopper for over 20 years but am now being treated like a criminal because I wrote a check for 60.00 and got denied. I have repeatedly tried to build a check history and am getting denied everytime. I call and they tell me to try again in 7 days that the more denials builds a history. It doesn't build food in my kids bellies or medications needed to sustain life!!!! Being told I am shopping like a criminal is a joke!!! Being told I have to walk away from medication needed that is at their pharmacy for my children because I'm shopping like a terrorist is a huge slap in the face! I will no longer use Walmart until they do away with your company!!!! You guys need to get with the times and update your policy to cover valid checks.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I went to Best Buy to make a $2,100.00 purchase and tried to use my business checking account which I have had open since 1986. Balance was over $295,000.00 at time of purchase. I have written over 20,000 checks. I never even came close to bouncing a check but to my surprise Telecheck declined it. This is the same checking account that 9-months prior I purchased a truck for over $50,000.00 and the dealer had no issues accepting the check via their check verification system. I called them. Gave them all kinds of info. They told me to try again in 7 days. What a joke. What was their basis for declining me? Obviously they have no way of getting any info. Best Buy lost $2,100.00 in sales. D

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Have been writing checks at Walmart for 25 years and all of sudden our checks are being denied for lack of history, amount of check, or they feel too many checks have been written from this account. I guess 4 a month is too many. Tried to establish a profile with this company so, this will not keep happening. What a joke! They want you call them at the store every time and see if they will honor it at that time. Have never bounced a check in my life and yet they make you feel like you are a criminal.

Telecheck Company Information