1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

426 Telecheck Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I experienced the decline of a check written at a company I have done business with for over 20 years. They stood there and couldn't do anything. Then when purchasing a new IPad at Best Buy this weekend, same thing. I almost walked out to purchase the IPad somewhere else. I should have and next time I will. These big companies have to realize that customer service makes the difference in where people purchase products. Telecheck is anti-customer service and is just a taste of socialism.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Tried paying a doctor bill by check. Bill only $11.82, check denied by Telecheck twice. Called Telecheck said because I have no history with Telecheck they denied check, stated wait 7 consecutive days to put back thru should be ok then. Check denied 3rd time after doctor office waited seven days, called Telecheck again. Said because used same check got denied. Wrote new check brought to doctor's office got denied. Called Telecheck again, said because didn't wait seven consecutive days even with new check got denied. For an $11.82 check having to drive 40 minutes to doctor's office to pay bill because Telecheck wouldn't approve is absurd. Telecheck is the worst.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

TeleCheck is absolutely awful! They decline payments! They also snoop in other accounts that are not associated with the account in question! I recommend that companies cut ties with TeleCheck because they cost companies money! Due to TeleCheck's inaccurate findings Home Depot lost a $1200.00 sale! TeleCheck is not USA based company so communication is poor for American English speaking customers! They are a company who are costly to businesses within the United States! I as a consumer am in shock that businesses such as Home Depot would use such a company as TeleCheck who cost them dearly in income! TeleCheck is a company that should be removed from all USA businesses! Shame on any business who supports them and how ignorant of you! I will no longer support any business who uses TeleCheck! I will be happy to spend thousands of US dollars on products through businesses who have no connection with TeleCheck!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

One day I can write a check at Meijer and one day I can't. When I call, they always say they need more verification. I said, "You have my name, address, license number, checking account number, what more to need?" I just had a check clear with Meijer a few days ago. I have been only limiting the checks to once a week and when I did that they were accepting for like a month. I go shopping today and decline for no reason. I am so fed up that Meijer is about to lose my business. Telecheck is the worst company and their customer service isn't even based in US.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I’ve been on hold trying to get through to someone for over an hour and nothing! Trying to see how long it takes to be able to write checks again after paying one through TRS. It’s been a little over a week.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Telecheck?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I wrote a check for my son to use as a downpayment on a new car and Telecheck declined my check. When I called customer service I was told I have no history with them and it doesn't matter how much money I have - they cannot tell me why it was declined. But it was. Talk about an frustrating experience. Why should Telecheck who know nothing about me be able to decide what checks I can write. We had thousands of dollars in this account. Now my son thinks I am some kind of low life.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Christmas Eve 2018 I went to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy a couple of things. Having lost my credit card, I figured I could pay by check. Telecheck refused the check, though I have a large amount of money in this account and I haven't ever bounced a check and have a good credit rating. Worse, they didn't say that they refused it, they said my bank did it. I was furious at my bank until they explained how Telecheck works -- they don't actually ask the bank.

I'm not a lawyer, but this seems like fraud to me, or at least slander (against the bank, as well against me). It certainly is a bad way to run a business and a terrible way to treat customers. The retailers who use them are out of their minds -- this is a way to lose sales -- I get that bad checks are a problem, but Telecheck is not the solution. Now that I know Bed Bath and Beyond uses them, I am going to resist shopping there, and I'm inclined to just walk out of any business that I find uses it, even if I'm not paying by check.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Tonight Christmas Day 12/25/18 I wrote a check for gas and was denied. Telecheck said I was denied because I don't normally write a check there so they denied it. I explained to them that I am a 50-year-old women alone with no gas to get home. Mind you I haven't had a bad check in over a year and even then it was immediately taken care of and I have money in the bank but they didn't care. I was left to walk home in a dangerous area.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Went to Walmart the day before Christmas Eve in the afternoon. Wrote a check & it cleared no problem. Wife realized she needed a few more things so we went back again two hours later. The total was going to exceed what she had for cash so I said I would write a check. Keep in mind two of the items were Christmas presents. Walmart is insane during this time with people last minute shopping. I checked everything out & my check was declined! I called my bank & they said they don't understand why because I have ample money in the account & there was no reason for them to not take my check!

Then I called stupid Telecheck & the representative couldn't speak good enough English to follow her conversation. Told me I didn't have a history of writing checks even though I wrote one hours before at the same store! I said I would not accept the check decline & I wanted to speak to her manager. Not in a friendly manner either because at this point my wife & I stood there blocking traffic to the one register for over a hour! What an embarrassment! Made us feel & look like we were the ones trying to pull a scam! After standing there that long I wasn't leaving until they reversed the declined check. Finally they did after much anger from my end. This company is completely worthless. If we didn't have presents in the cart I would of left it sitting in the isle. UNEXCEPTIONABLE PERIOD!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

They declined my valid and correct check at a store because they said I had not any history in their company. I was buying from another store then they intercept in between to reject my check! They rejected a valid check because of no profile in an unknown company! Why must I make a profile in an unknown company?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Walmart, Dec 6 2018. Check denied because arbitrarily decides what fits "my pattern." Bought higher quantity of expensive drug at pharmacy so yes check would be for higher amount than last time! Said the amount was "quite high," but couldn't tell me what that meant... what my "normal, acceptable" amount or range might be. Plenty in bank to cover, but they get to be my behavior **. It's pathetic and Walmart should discontinue their check guarantee services immediately.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Wrote a check to Walmart. It was declined with a code 3. Have written checks there before with no problem. Earlier in the day a check went through with no problem. However, the second time I wrote a check it declined. I called their customer service and they couldn't give me a reason so I got online. It stated that there wasn't enough history to approve the check. I have written checks at this particular business for 9 years with no problem and now this bogus reasoning why it was declined? Absolutely ridiculous!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Recently divorced and moved to a new state and opened a new bank account. Had problems getting my debit card but received my checks so I decided to use at Walmart. Check was declined so I called the number and they just needed more information so I gave it to them. Went back to Walmart and the check went through. Today went to Walmart and guess what? Check declined! This is crazy! Called TeleCheck and got nothing but rude behavior! I’ve written checks for years at different Walmarts in different states with new driver's licenses and never had any issues. They have no right to do these things and it’s about time someone take actions against them for discrimination!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I'm a businessman and I've been in business for 42 years and the company I now own for 20 years has been in business for 63 years. I went to Best Buy to buy new cell phones for the company and after an hour of choosing phones my check was refused by Telecheck system for absolutely no reason. I have enough money to pay for the phone 100 times over in my account. But they say that doesn't matter!? Doesn't matter? Isn't that the whole point and what DOES matter?

If their system had more recent technology they would have been able to ascertain that fact. Instead they made me waste another half hour on the phone to tell me there was nothing they could do. They lost Best Buy a $3000 sale for no good reason! Why are they allowed to operate this way? They should be shut down until they update their systems to do what they are supposed to do and not cause consumers or merchants this aggravation. I will never again deal with a merchant who uses Telecheck!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I am 67 years old. I have had checking and savings accounts since I was 17 years old. Per Telecheck they have no history on me...really? I wrote $227.28 check in Telecheck at Tractor Supply where I have written numerous checks before that were all cleared some for $600...now I can write no more checks as Telecheck will not approve. Their representative was rude and ignorant per their website they had no valid reason for turning me down. I was told not to write any more checks for 7 days as they'd all be turned down. I usually use debit card but I'd lost card and was waiting for new card and then pin number. So I had to write checks...from now on cash or my debit card.

However, I’ve printed off their reasons why they turned me down as well as this complaint page and I am sending it with a detailed letter to Congressman Tom Marino as that corporation in my opinion is a fraud. I have no bad checks to my name and have more than enough money in checking and savings to cover any check I wrote. They are a bunch of bunk. I suggest ALL of you complain to your federal representative as well and have them put out of business.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

My check was declined when trying to pay for tires - $569.69. When I called to ask why, they said they didn't have enough history on my account and that it was the first check I had written from the account. That is not true - I have written checks for larger amounts prior to this from that account and I routinely use it for e-check transactions as well. There was "no supervisor available to speak to" either.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The customer service representatives seem rude and incompetent. Had to call back 4 times to get the issue resolved. Had a hard time communicating because of heavy foreign accent. Would be nice if customer service could stay within the US. In the 4 times I called, I got a different rep every time, but all had the same accent.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Telecheck shut down my business credit without any cause or warning. It kept kicking back my ACH withdrawals for purchases and despite 40 minutes on hold going in circles in their automated system, finally got a live person who was NO HELP WHATSOEVER! 28 years in business, and I was told they blocked account purchases due to "unusual activity". CRAZY that NOTHING could be done. Told to "try again in 7 days".

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Absolutely unacceptable and embarrassing. Legal check was rejected at vet hospital caring for our dog with cancer. We are regulars there. My wife is an executive at the bank. The check is drawn on so the money is in there. Rude customer service when I call to find out what the problem is. I will be pressing the vet to do away with Telecheck.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Telecheck prohibited payment to an insurance carrier due to "high risk"- I was informed that our business does not have enough history with Telecheck. We've been in business for 20+ years. Never before has this happened. I was informed by the "supervisor" - ID ** - there was no one higher up with whom I could speak and nothing could be done. We issue checks that exceed $100K. This amount was for well under $5K. Telecheck is prohibiting our insured from operating their business due to an inept policy. Completely ridiculous. Please avoid this poorly operated of a business.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Went to Rite-aid and wrote a check for $9.99. When I got my bank statement same check number was on there 2 times so called my bank and they took care of it. Then get to grocery store and my checks would not go thru electronically so I would just sign and they would keep my check. Contacted Telecheck could not understand what they were saying. Something about the dispute of my check for $9.99 and had to wait 7 days 'cause it erased my writing check history then go back to grocery store got $76.00 worth of food only to find out now my checks are declined.

It was their mistake putting a check thru 2 times and I have to wait 7 days to write a check anywhere that Telecheck is used and talking to anyone from Telecheck is a waste of time. I have excellent credit and 20 yrs at writing checks at grocery store. I Have never in my life been declined... All I wanted was my $9.99 back that Telecheck took out twice. Even sent proof and I have to wait for it to get approved. I will avoid stores that use Telecheck.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

There was a mistake with a check that I wrote to the grocery store and it showed as returned. Once the situation was cleared up with the grocery store Telecheck is still making me wait 10-14 business days before I can write a check again. I wasn't told that this would happen and went through the embarrassment in 2 different stores for having my check declined for this reason.

When I called customer service to clear the issue further, I had to enter my information over and over again before the system finally let me speak to a representative. The representative was rude and talked over me, essentially reading a prepared speech. When I asked to speak to a manager they told me that there was nothing that could be done for me and ended the call. I'm forced to continue to use this service if I want to write a check because every store in my area goes through them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I am a Tractor Supply Customer and have been for many years. I write checks several times a month there. Today my check was denied by Telecheck. When I called them I was told I did not fit their pattern for writing checks and did not have a valid payment history. I gave them the dates for the last half dozen checks but they could find no history of them. I called Tractor Supply headquarters in Tennessee and told them they might want to get another vendor. Also Telecheck's customer service is offshore (in the Philippine Islands) and they are not interested in resolving these problems.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

They cheat you out of money or able to make a purchase. Then charge you for making it right. It’s a fraud, I think. They won’t even let a buyer use their own hard earned money. They aren’t even accredited and the government needs to investigate them. My bank has no problem with me or my account!! High rating. These people (Telecheck fraudsters) need to go back to the swamp where they came from.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I had this terrible experience with Telecheck. It seems that many of companies in the US are using their services to verify payments by checks. I read many comments here of frustrated Americans who were turned down by Telecheck. For me, I wanted to pay for a device at Best Buy. The total including the tax was $1059.99. My checks are promotional checks that are linked to my credit card account, not to my checking account. When the clerk passed the check through their machine, it was rejected and a note from Telecheck was printed on the reverse side of the check. So I asked the clerk who is Telecheck and she didn't have any idea. I called Telecheck on the number provided by the note.

Auto recorded message asked me to key in the reference number provided in the note, then my zip code. Another message said something about blocking the transaction due to fears of fraud. So I carried on to talk to human representative. A thick-accented lady answered the line and after verifications she asked me if I listened to the message before talking to her. I said yes I did but this is not correct because I am not a fraud person, I can provide verifications as much as you need, but she said there is no way to move on with my payment and I should wait some time I don't remember how long exactly before I can try again. I became so upset and asked to talk to her supervisor. She transferred me to a supervisor, another thick-accented lady.

She said there is no way to accept that check now and I must wait for that time which I don't remember exactly how long before I can try again. I suggested to her that she calls my bank which is Bank of America to verify that the check is legit and not fraud, but she strongly refused. I asked her where she is at, and she said she is at the Philippines. I asked her why a Philippine company is doing money business for companies in the US, and she became upset and rude and forced her way out of the conversation and hanged out on me. I asked to talk to the store manager at Best Buy, a person with little skills of customer service who rudely turned me down again.

I mean how can I be a fraud person walking in a store with many security cameras and identify myself to the system through my Best Buy online account? Isn't it not logical for me to try such an easy job for the police to catch me if I was fraud? Still, the store manager has no solution to offer. I hereby would open invitation for anyone who would like to join me to file a lawsuit against this Telecheck and any US-based company that keep using their services even with many customers complaining. I can't do this lawsuit by myself. I need support from people who were turned down by this company while they had legit checks.

Let's raise our voices against them together. My name is M. ** and you can email me your support with comprehensive description of your encounter with Telecheck and how that humiliated you at the check-out counter in front of others. I can't share my contact details here, but write your willingness to support me in a comment and I'll ask the admin of this website to connect me to you.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Complete wrong customer profile: Was paying for Rx of $79.12 dol. for Rx. with my account from Bank of America check when CVS refused payment saying check service information indicates reason I have 100% top credit. Never had any financial problems during my entire lifetime.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My wife wrote a check for 10000 dollars at Home Depot for kitchen cabinets. Telecheck refused to cash it even though we had 60000 dollars in that account. Called them, they said it looked like identity check, and they would fix it. A week later, we bought groceries at Meijer's and they would not cash it. I called again, they checked with my credit union for resources and said the problem was solved. I got my credit union get involved, and they were told two more times that it was fixed. Yesterday wrote a check at Meijer's and it was refused. Is there some way we can do a class action lawsuit for defamation of character, or let these companies know not to use Telecheck anymore. Oh, also the people you talk to have such a thick accent it's impossible to understand them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Telecheck processes checks for Food Maxx and Tractor Supply Store; my checks refused at both merchants. My Bank of America account (40 years) is good; clerk says to call Telecheck. My daughter's credit with Golden1 Credit Union has been applied to my account (she has insufficient funds) and bingo they apply her insufficient funds rating to my BofA account. We "both have the same initials" per the customer service rep. There is no way they should be able to transfer someone's credit to my account, let alone from a Credit Union account. Bottom line, they have "cleared my account but don't use it for 72 hours" and in 30 days they will send me a letter explaining what happened. My letter to them is in the mail with a copy to Bank of America and Golden1 Credit Union.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

To make a long story short, my debit card was compromised a few days back and my bank cancelled it before I was able to withdraw my money. I therefore tried to wire money to myself via either Western Union or MoneyGram using my checking account information so that I could get cash, but I kept getting errors with both services. After verifying that everything was ok on my bank's end, I then found out from both companies that they used a 3rd party company called Telecheck in order to process payments. I then received a number to contact them directly to resolve the issue. It was then when the representative informed me that my transactions had been declined due to lack of history processing funds using my checking account with this service... What?

So what they're basically saying when someone has an emergency (which services like MoneyGram and Western Union are often used for) for the first time, their transaction is automatically rejected and they're basically screwed? Where's the logic in that? To put icing on the cake, the representative informed me even after I verified everything with her, it would STILL take SEVEN days before this would be reflected on their system! What good does that do someone who needs emergency funds?! I'll have a new debit card mailed to me by then.

It's insane to me that in the computer age it takes that long for something like this to process. No logical explanation as to what the holdup is was ever given to me. Basically because of this one 3rd party company that apparently many companies like to use I literally have no money for so much as a can of soda until my new debit card gets mailed to me... Let's not even get on the subject of bills that will now be past due.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Went to Walmart, bought groceries, wrote a check and was declined by Telecheck for code 3. I called and they said we have not established a pay by history with them. I paid with a check yesterday and last week. They asked if I have another account. Being that we moved from Illinois, I gave my account from there and they said we didn’t establish anything there either (even though we wrote all kinds of checks at Walmart). The woman said we can try again but it may decline. We did so and it declined. How can we set up a history if they are going to decline? Why couldn’t they see out prior history? Horrible company!

Telecheck Company Information