1.00/5
Based on 43 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 15, 2018

384 Telecheck Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 15, 2018

A valid funded checking account used and accepted online by dozens of other companies, utilities and others is rejected by Sprint due to their defective tie with Telecheck. No explanations from Sprint. No contact possible with Telecheck. I'm not about to give this 3rd party anything about my accounts as Sprint suggests. If this continues... We're cutting Sprint off the bid table. Very very dissatisfied client. We have other options and many other carriers. I'm surprised Sprint has allowed this to continue.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have written checks at Walmart for years then was declined. I have never had a bad check. I called and they want all this personal info. I asked where this company is located. It is in the Philippines so I gave them nothing. I had this happen 20 years ago at Walgreens. They tried to say my check was bad. Called my bank and when my bank said nothing was wrong they said I wrote too many checks in a short time period.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2018

All began with a phone call from an 800 number (Telecheck/TRS services) saying I owed them money from an Amazon purchase. I've been an Amazon customer for years, never had an issue and this purchase was delivered to me and the seller never contacted me. Anyway I called Telecheck back after looking into it on my end. I've already given them my routing and checking account numbers and drivers license. Now they're saying I don't owe money. But they can't say why I don't owe money. Every answer is vague and I also called Amazon and spoke with a supervisor. No one could explain why I owed this company money and what's going on. I've decided to close my banking account and informed my bank of possible fraud.

Original review: April 18, 2018

17 years purchasing for restaurant supplies, never has a check returned for NSF. In April 2018 was denied same company's check. Called Telecheck, the denier of my check. Instead of asking for reference number, I was asked for my routing #, account #, exact spelling of all authorized signers, as well as all formal info printed on check. All to be transferred to an automated service with no response system. FRAUD PHISHING!!! Contacted my bank which promptly sent my complaint to FRAUD PREVENTION DEPARTMENT. PUBLIC BUYERS BEWARE of your money.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've recently had fraudulent charges from my debit card. I'm currently waiting on a new card. Saturday night I go to Walgreens to get needed items & my check is declined. I know I have more than enough in my account to cover the check. But I'm denied! Over & over. We try a $4 item & it goes through. Great. Re-ring up my items & deny, deny, deny. The store is closing. I give up & leave without the items I need. I'm now home reading these Telecheck reviews. This is all new to me as I don't write checks at stores. The only place now open is Walmart, that uses this Telecheck. So it's going to be hit or miss. Obviously. I am very irritated. How does this place remain with so many large stores & hundreds of reviews ALL negative?!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Telecheck?

Original review: April 12, 2018

I placed a single order with Amazon. Most of it was fine, one item was refused with no reason. Since I know I had more than enough funds in the account and the Amazon system told me I could not re-enter my checking information I was forced to cancel that part of the order and reorder. My first order should have arrived on Friday. I placed my second order, for the item that had mysteriously been unable to be processed and several other items and lo and behold again part of my order was flagged. I called Amazon and they would only give me the phone number for Telecheck. Calling Telecheck I found out they had decided via their computer algorithm that since I had tried to cash multiple checks in a short time they would mark some of them as fraudulent.

I only placed one order each day. Amazon had broken each order into multiple charges. When I explained this to them they said there was nothing they could do everything was handled by the algorithm. Talking to a supervisor I finally got them to say they would update my account so this does not happen again however it will take over 7 days to update their system. 7 days! They admit that humans have no control over the process and it's entirely done by computer. If it's entirely done by a computer how can it take that computer 7 days or more to update? Furthermore what business do they have denying a check order based on how many charges Amazon breaks it into. They have no regard for whether there is available funds and zero human oversight to fix problems. This company should not legally be able to withhold someone's money on entirely arbitrary computer algorithms.

Original review: April 12, 2018

This company should be shut down. They have caused me great grief over writing a check on a new account because I didn't have a track record on that account... Just how to you get a track record when they won't cash your account? Banks are just as bad, they tell you to get a new account when you have been hacked and then won't fight for you when Telecheck won't honor the check. The bank is quick to take my money in the USA, and use my money to get interest for them self, but I have to deal with some foreign speaking someone who can't even understand my issue, let alone fix it. I now have a new checking account that only works when I take my own money out from the bank I started the account with. I should have put the money in my mattress, at least then it would at least work for me. TRS/Telecheck systems are a scam.

Original review: March 24, 2018

Third or fourth time this has happened. Check turned down because of "suspicious fraudulent activity." Which is a load of crap because they have taken checks from my business before. So I wasted 2 hours of time and gas to drive out of town to be accused of fraud? That is a bold accusation to make to the owner of the business who is writing said check, not to mention insulting. Sadly, the banks don't care. You can also rest assured that Telecheck needs their asses handed to them for wasting so many peoples time and money. I will write a separate review about Best Buy, and it is not going to be nice. Boycott Telecheck and the businesses that use their service!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I've been on the phone with 1hr and 46 min so far and they haven't taken care of ** but lies to you over and over. Doesn't have the authority to go into my bank account to see if I have funds. That is what they wanted. Info to go into my account and see if I have funds in my account. That's my privacy not for them. I don't have a check on file with them at all. WALMART YOU NEED TO FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO HANDLE YOUR CHECK SYSTEM.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Wallet was stolen. Got a new license today and went to Walmart for desperately needed supplies. Figured I'd write a check (have not done for years) since all other forms of payment were canceled and fraud alerts applied. Check was declined. Reason code 4. Called my bank, no problem there. They suggested a bad machine. Had the CS rep try again different machine. Code 4 again. Bank said call Telecheck. Waited on hold for 20 minutes after entering an endless loop of numbers, after which I was disconnected. The CS clerk then called Telecheck and gave all the same info. Then they asked to speak to me and said they could not allow me to write a check, as I had an overdraft of $325 at Sun** bank... which I have never had an account at. Needless to say, I left without my groceries and am going to seek legal help. This outfit should be put out business!!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

My wife and I are senior citizens and have had the same checking account for more than thirty years. TELECHECK is now preventing us from writing checks at stores we have shipped at for decades and have always written checks. After contacting this company and all the stores i.e. Walmart, Kroger, and Meijer, there seems to be nothing we can do to resolve the issue. Foreign, barely able to speak English, customer service reps were of NO help at all. This company is involved in collecting payment from all of these companies and I bet they get paid for how many checks they refuse. I wonder if this is an attempt to disrupt commerce in America? Even the store managers mentioned were unable to assist us. Guess I will get 666 plastered on my hand so I can access my money. Does anyone REALLY care?

Original review: March 1, 2018

I wish this- someone in customer service speak English!!! I changed my bank 1/3/18. I called Telecheck to make sure I can use a check at the store. Told me-yes! So, I went to Stop and Shop. Cannot use my check because of Telecheck? I was and still am, very upset!! I called them again, on the phone for over an hour. The woman, broken english, asked this- "PLEASE, I want to speak to a supervisor." "So, spoke to the "supervisor". Another broken English cs rep, this man told me, have to wait 7 days??? WTH!! Still not giving me reason why? 7 days, 7 days 7 days??!! Does anyone that work at Telecheck that give me a real reason why? I AM VERY VERY UPSET!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Writing from a business checking acct, today we were declined for the 3rd time in 6 months. When I call they say they're sorry, not about insufficient funds, new parameters for verifying checks to prevent fraud are what's causing this. Writing checks out of sequence will cause it to be declined, writing large checks for a few days then writing a small one will make it decline, because some computer says so, it can be declined and there's no good reason other than a computer did it?

We just got declined on Amazon for $8.85??? We've ordered stuff from them for over 10 years and NEVER had this happen. We have an EXCELLENT history record with Telecheck and this still happens? There are no rules to follow to ensure it doesn't happen? Whatever new program that Telecheck is using...is no good! Telecheck needs to relook at its program. Trying to follow patterns of a business is stupid. Some days my parts are high and some days there not...that's just the way it is. I'm, getting tired of being embarrassed by this because the code presented doesn't say, YES THIS PERSON HAS THE MONEY BUT OUR COMPUTER IS **!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Tried to write a check at local grocery store. I have written checks there before. Check was denied by Telecheck. Couldn't get thru on the phone with Telecheck , could this be because of Equifax losing our personal information?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I rarely use checks. Due to being in a different town that did not have my bank I was forced to write a check at Walmart or incur ATM fees. I don’t pay ATM fees so I chose to write a check. I confirmed the store accepted checks. Did my shopping and check was denied. I called the TeleCheck number and after about 20 mins of runaround the final verdict was my check was denied due to no history. No history. I was denied because they didn’t have any information. None which also indicates there is no “bad” information but they refused to accept my check.

I had 4 teenage boys that weekend. Had worked 5 days that week and had to work yet the next morning. I live an hour from the Walmart I was at and the one I usually go to was an hour and a half away with another half hour drive home. There was no leaving without those groceries. Because my bank was closed TeleCheck could not “confirm” the funds for the check was available even though I could have and did offer to send a picture of my current at that moment account balance which covered the amount of the rather large purchase 10 times over. TeleCheck refused. Then while I was at the ATM incurring fees I haven’t paid in 15 years I missed a call from them. I returned the call. Went through the long arduous process of their automated system again to be told they verify the phone number given is accurate for collection purposes.

So not only did they deny me paying by check they followed it up making sure they could certainly contact me in the future without my permission. This experience is without words and because of Walmart use of them I will never step foot in Walmart again. I have never floated a check. Never bounced a check. Never been overdraft nor do I incur any “banking fees”. There was simply no reason to deny my use of a check and the reason given that I was denied because I have never used a check at Walmart isn’t logical whatsoever. If everyone was denied the first time then no one would be able to use a check.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

If a check cannot be funded by Telecheck electronically Telecheck is still authorizing approval codes to the Clover machine and taking credit for a check they are not processing, using the excuse that they are still verifying that the check will be approved. The end of day reports includes paper checks not being deposited electronically, as if they are. Telecheck needs to work with Clover on another way to process paper checks so the end of day reports only includes actual checks being funded electronically.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Telecheck recommended my check to Best Buy be returned. I called Telecheck to find out why, they would only tell me that "I did not meet their guidelines". I asked for their guidelines, asked to talk to a supervisor, but were refused. My concern is that this may happen again. Bouncing my checks for a reason other than insufficient funds and not telling me what that reason is. Frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

We had everything squared away with Telecheck but yet they won’t allow us to write a check after spending 2 hours on the phone with them this morning. We called to see what was wrong and they said there is nothing on us and we should be able to write out a check. Mind you this is a business check. Apparently, they don’t deal with business checks too well and they said they could not help us tonight and we’d have to call back during business hours. I am fed up with Telecheck and the holding on the phone for an hour and 27 minutes going from person to person. They aren’t professional and customer friendly whatsoever.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Check denial - Typical issue, for no reason but the standard, "You do not have history with TELECHECK," So??? Your problem. Not mine. Well it is my problem. They denied my check at an establishment only because I do not write checks at business that use their service. I will do my best to avoid any business utilizing TELECHECK and will recommend anyone to avoid them also. Even after calling and talking to a rep they still said it will take a week to update my records. A week, how slow is their computer?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I had a returned check from Meijer. I paid Telecheck (thirty dollars) for the returned check. I called Telecheck to find out when I could write another check without any trouble, I spoke to Miss **, she told me it was alright, go, right on and write checks, it will be o.k. I have not been able to get a check cleared at all where the merchant uses Telecheck.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Each time I've written a check for the past two years, it's been denied. I called the company each time and got the following reasons: No accounts associated with my name. No profile is set up. New account, unknown information. I called Telecheck on 12/11/17. It would not give me any reason why it is denying my checks for processing until I give them (in the Philippines): Name, birth date, Social Security number, names of all banks where I hold accounts, account numbers and routing numbers of all banks where I hold accounts, bank statements sent by fax, address and phone number.

BEWARE. This is a debt collection company out of Houston, Texas also named TRS Recovery Service Inc. and FirstData (www.firstdata.com). Telecheck told me that it pays vendors directly, (per the approval codes on their receipts). Telecheck deposits our checks into its accounts and sometimes it does not draft out accounts. It just leaves our accounts alone, then denies all future checks written. On checks that it pays, it holds the amount of the check and adds a $32.48 fee in the State of Texas to the total bill. Telecheck says that it does not report our "bad checks" to credit reporting bureaus. It holds us financially hostage like a bribe to pay them in order to access the privilege of writing checks.

Telecheck says it has no verification process criteria, therefore, no basis for approving or denying the checks that we write to vendors - totally subjective on their part. The most recent denial in question is Dec. 7, 2017 for $101.18 to Walmart in Ft. Worth. Check was denied. Date of previous denial is Sept. 24, 2015, check was approved by Telecheck on Sept. 21, 2015 for $74.00 for office visit Heritage Rheumatology, aka/ Texas Health Physicians Group on 9/21/15.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I recently had to have my bank issue me a new business debit card. I called my cellphone company and my internet company and gave them the new card number. As soon as my monthly payment came due I was contacted by both and told that my card was denied. I have never bounced a check or had any contact with this unprofessional company that needs to be shut down. I called them and they do not have customer service people that speak fluent English but I was basically told tuff get used to it. No one could tell me why or what I could do to get it corrected. I am planning a lawsuit.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I went to purchase my meds at RiteAid pharmacy and my check was denied on the basis that a previous bank account at TD Bank claimed I owed about $50 in checks that they did not honor. This account was closed on 6/4/13 with a statement that showed $00.00 as balance. I DO NOT OWE ANYTHING TO TD BANK. The Bank upon which I wrote the check agreed that the check should have been honored since there was almost $2K in the account upon which it was drawn.

It looks to me like TD Bank is using Telecheck as a bill collection "method." THIS IS ILLEGAL!! Having had a previous experience with TD Bank, I am not surprised that they violated the law once again. BTW, if you want to "talk" with anyone from Telecheck, you're going to be routed to the Philippines where English is a "second" language at best.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Dealing with merchants who are connected with Telecheck is either hit or miss. Had a check declined at a Best Buy some time ago and tried to get through to customer service but gave up due to time length. Now recently, had a check declined again (very embarrassing) but this time at Stop & Shop (large supermarket chain in Northeast/Mid-Atlantic region of USA). Problem here is I write checks there frequently. When I called Telecheck 800 number listed on the grocery receipt, I was told that I was declined because I wrote the check at a different Stop & Shop from the one that I normally use and as result came up as fraudulent activity?

I was told it would take 7 days to add that particular Stop & Shop location to my check writing history? Strange... weird... crazy. Remember... large supermarket chain? So this means I have to drive miles back to the Stop & Shop that I normally frequent if I'm going to use a check?? Based on the large number of negative reviews listed here I'm obviously not alone. For future will, where possible, use credit/debit card and refrain from writing checks at establishments brandishing the Telecheck logo... save myself the potential embarrassment… too risky… not worth it!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I am another reviewer who has favorable credit. I am only dealing with this poorly run business because I made the mistake of trying to use a checking account with Amazon. Never again. I have received communications that were so poorly written I almost thought they were phishing documents. They were not. IMPOSSIBLE to reach anybody as their call center is so poorly staffed that you sit on hold every time for periods of over an hour - and you finally just hang up. Interestingly enough, Amazon is no better and chooses to do business with this subpar third party. My response to Amazon - since I cannot reach anyone - is to decrease dramatically my online purchases with them. I also cancelled every single item on my auto delivery program. I am one consumer so I know that will not sway Amazon but this has given me the chance to see other companies can compete with Amazon AND provide service at the same time.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I am thoroughly disgusted with Telecheck. I have outstanding credit, have never been overdrawn in my account, but Telecheck feels they can disallow me to use my checking account. On more than one occasion I have made an attempt to use my personal Checking account for an Amazon and it has been denied. Attempts to get a hold of anyone is impossible. Why does Amazon for one, offer the ability to use your checking account, but then Telecheck says, nope, not going to happen, and your order is then delayed. Telecheck has no RIGHT to limit my abilities to use my personal account.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

We recently closed all of our accounts at B of A because of customer service issues and opened all accounts at Chase bank. I went grocery shopping at FoodMaxx, wrote a check, showed my driver license, and then was declined! I have been shopping at this grocery store for over 25 years! When asked why, they gave me a receipt with the denial record # on it and said to call and they would explain why it was declined. HOW EMBARRASSING! Well I have called several times and cannot speak to a real person, except for the time they said they were a collection agency and I had the wrong #.

In a recording after entering my denial record # it says my, "check was declined due to risk factors and was not because of unpaid debt. This could include check writing history, check #, amount of check, or other factors." My bank says that the check was never presented to them to decline. FoodMaxx says to call Telecheck, that they cannot help me at the store. Nobody can help and Telecheck is a joke! Their # is 1-800-697-9263.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I have been writing checks for years, we had an ID theft 5 years ago and 3 years ago. It has been a nightmare. I have no debit card or credit cards because of the theft, so I always make sure I have cash on the weekends, but when I go to the store I always write a check with no problem... until this year. I wrote a check at Meijer and it was cleared. Went to Walmart and it was denied, called same as everyone else play the auto system and then no one speaks English. Only exception I was told I had to wait 21 days! Well this has been ongoing for all of 2017, everytime it denies I get a long printout on the back of the check and a number to call. Well this must be TeleCheck latest scam. 2 months ago I was denied and it printed the check like it would be deposited with no code no explanation, I called and of course no idea and so on. Later that week my check that was not accepted cleared the bank!!! For 358.00!

Well my daughter was with me and she paid with her debit card and I paid her back, I called TeleCheck and they have no record of a check clearing, I am still waiting on that $$ back. Tonight I got to Meijer’s and the same!!! No explanation. Just hands me my check back and says they need another form of payments. I told the cashier that I needed a manager and I explained to them my last encounter this had happened, mind you I have written 3 checks with no issue at the same Meijer. I told the manager that I needed confirmation that the check would not clear my account, she said, “Oh it was denied, it won't!” I said it was not denied, it said another form of payment needed, so I pulled out my phone and the last check and said, “Here is where it cleared my bank and here is the check. I want it cleared!” She said, “Oh I never ran into this!” I said, “Yeah well first time.”

So tonight I had no other form of payment and I told her I needed to know that this will not clear my account! She called the store manager and she said it won't clear if it’s denied. She said it wasn't denied. The manager asked, “What is the problem?” Then, she said, “Can you please come down and I will so you.” She said, “No it was denied!” So here I sit no groceries and let's give it a few days and see if this one clears! I am so over TeleCheck. I am checking into a lawsuit over this!!! They still owe me 358.00 and now probably 293.07!!! Meijer STOP USING TELECHECK OR I WILL GO ELSEWHERE!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I have written checks for over 20 years. In July a consumer's check was returned causing a return of my business check. The 20 years have vanished and I cannot cash a check in my local area. This was one check which was redeposited and paid and I was completely unaware.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Had a delivery of a new tv and delivery men suggested I should upgrade my WiFi with additional equipment. I agreed and offered a credit card for payment but was informed Best Buy verification service for cards was done so a check was tendered. About 5 hours later I was informed check was refused. I called the bank and the check was never presented for payment as there were sufficient funds to cover the check. I promptly went to Best Buy and paid the check off with cash, received the check back and called their 3rd party processor, Telecheck. I was unable to understand the operator as her communication skills left much to be wanted. The bottom line was they decided, without checking to see if the money was available, to deny acceptance due to some obscure reason which was never given. Trying to get an answer to my questions was impossible! Horrible company.

Telecheck Company Information