1.00/5
Based on 48 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

394 Telecheck Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had the same checking account for my business for close to 6 yrs and have been NEVER denied anywhere. Tried to use it for the Amazon Prime Day to get items for my business and was denied several times! No explanation from Amazon. Redone the info for the account, still denied! If I go to a store and try to write a check (which I never do, I always use my debit card) I will just close the account and reopen another. Less trouble than trying to contact this company and Amazon just turns a blind eye!

Original review: July 12, 2018

On July 7, 2018 I went grocery shopping at Walmart and they refused to cash a check (from my credit union by TeleCheck) from me. I called Telecheck on July 11, 2018 but after many tries to reach a person to speak with I ended up filling out a form to dispute the refusal of accepting my check. Now it will take up to 30 days to even get an answer for the dispute. I can't imagine why they would not accept my check. Sick of trying to work with foreign companies that can't even answer the phone or speak good English.

Telecheck | Reviews • Complaints • Ratings | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 5, 2018

I spent 3 hours waiting at the DMV today only to have my check denied by these morons. I was and remain furious! When I called Telecheck and spoke with a supervisor about the problem all I was told was is they had insufficient information on my checking account. What a joke, this company is pathetic and incompetent. Thanks Telecheck for wasting my afternoon you **. My credit score is well over 800 and I have never bounced a check, this company is a fraud and should be restricted from doing whatever sham check evaluation they do.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I had a check denied at my local Food Lion, last night. After going through automated prompts for 20 minutes, I was able to get a human on the phone... However, I could not understand anything he said! I asked him several times, in different ways what the explanation was for my check decline. I never got anything except I didn't have enough history with them. I have had this account for 15 years! I have had a returned check that was paid a few months ago and a month later, had the same experience. That time though, I was told my account was cleared and there should be no further issue with my account. So, needless to say, I was not only perplexed as to the denial but embarrassed at the checkout line as well. I spent close to 2 hours shopping for groceries, only to be denied, without any resolution.

What really concerns me here, is the rep continually asked for all of my account information, who else was on the account and get this... WHAT MY CHECKING ACCOUNT BALANCE WAS!!!! I asked why he needed this information and got crickets. He did go on to say "we want you to continue writing checks to build your history". This made no sense, I said. So, you want me to shop, get declined so I can build a history? No thanks! I will just find grocers that DON'T use Telecheck. I am contacting Food Lion corporate and letting them know of my experience and my reasons for boycotting their establishment for the 1st time since 1983. I cannot support any business that subjects me to humiliation and possible fraud. I believe Telecheck is evil and probably has some degree of phishing practices involved. It was definitely a red flag being asked how much money was in my bank account!

Original review: June 23, 2018

Yes Telecheck started declining our checks when the bank of Oklahoma added a 0 to the front of our account # on our new checks we ordered. The bank said the new # is how they are doing it now. We call Telecheck to tell they what the bank was doing they said they fixed it. But we go shopping and get declined again. We call Telecheck again and get another runaround. They say they linked both account #s. We go shopping again and Telecheck again declined the check for lack of history. This started on 06/02/2018. I don't understand how a co. as big as Telecheck cannot get updated software to fix this problem so I can go shopping and not have to deal with their problem.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Telecheck?

Original review: June 22, 2018

My company was trying to get a $1500.00 gift card from Walmart and our check was declined! We were told to call Telecheck and to get it approved and bring it back to the store. Telecheck had no intention of helping us! We called 3 times! We couldn't hear the first guy, the second one was RUDE and the third said he couldn't do anything because the second guy had already dealt with us so we'd have to wait 7 days to talk to someone else!! This company is terrible to deal with, I guess, because they can be. They are holding your money hostage!! Do I call Walmart to complain now since they use them? Or does Walmart not have a choice in who they use?? I don't know but this is maddening!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

Telecheck processes checks for MoneyGram. My first transaction was declined because of an "information mismatch" even though the account information was 100% correct. Moneygram told me to call Telecheck, but there were no options on the automated system for my problem. There's also no way to speak with a live human being. After 30 minutes of exploring the automated attendant, I found a human being in their fraud department after selecting about 10 options. The person spoke with a very thick Spanish accent that was difficult to understand. After relating my problem, the rep said that she would update my info in their system (which was exactly what I provided online) and that I could "try again in 7 days", then abruptly hung up on me. Needless to say, I won't be doing business with Moneygram or Telecheck in the future. I can definitely see why they have a litany of 1-star reviews online.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I am 63 years old and I have never written a bad check. Today I wrote a check at Walmart and it was turned down. I called Telecheck and was told it was because they could not verify my credit history when I just wrote a check up there last week for 200.00. My bank changed my account number and sent new checks which started over at 1000. This is ridiculous. They could have verified everything with my driver's license. Are they stupid or such a small business they can't figure that out. From the reviews I am not the only one having a problem. I think I will report them to the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection. I have always shopped at Walmart but I will not be going back. THE management and corporate office could have cared less about the problem.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Today I tried to write a check at Bed Bath and Beyond. It was DECLINED. WHAT THE HELL. I know this account has money in it. I was at the bank yesterday. This is the second day in a row that I have had a check declined. After five attempts, I was able to get through to Telecheck to be told I don't write enough checks. What does that have with the price of chickens. NOTHING! I write checks. Just because I don't write checks to your businesses is NO reason they decline my checks.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Through no fault of my own, the companies I tried to use my check at [Amazon & Walmart] both went through Telecheck and both companies had trouble getting my check approved. My account has thousands of dollars in it and no negative comments, yet Telecheck refuses to OK the checks, for a very outrageous reason. When I finally get through to this company, they tell me that there is not sufficient history on my account for them to approve it. WTF? Number one, if there are sufficient funds in your account, why the hassle. Number two, how does one get sufficient history on an account, if they keep refusing to ok a check? Bottom line stay away from this company, if you can, at all cost. Incompetent, rude and not understanding.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My check was declined at our local grocery store by Telecheck on 2 consecutive occasions, though I had more than adequate funds in my checking account. Telecheck responded that our bank not have enough history with Telecheck.

Original review: May 15, 2018

A valid funded checking account used and accepted online by dozens of other companies, utilities and others is rejected by Sprint due to their defective tie with Telecheck. No explanations from Sprint. No contact possible with Telecheck. I'm not about to give this 3rd party anything about my accounts as Sprint suggests. If this continues... We're cutting Sprint off the bid table. Very very dissatisfied client. We have other options and many other carriers. I'm surprised Sprint has allowed this to continue.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have written checks at Walmart for years then was declined. I have never had a bad check. I called and they want all this personal info. I asked where this company is located. It is in the Philippines so I gave them nothing. I had this happen 20 years ago at Walgreens. They tried to say my check was bad. Called my bank and when my bank said nothing was wrong they said I wrote too many checks in a short time period.

Original review: May 2, 2018

All began with a phone call from an 800 number (Telecheck/TRS services) saying I owed them money from an Amazon purchase. I've been an Amazon customer for years, never had an issue and this purchase was delivered to me and the seller never contacted me. Anyway I called Telecheck back after looking into it on my end. I've already given them my routing and checking account numbers and drivers license. Now they're saying I don't owe money. But they can't say why I don't owe money. Every answer is vague and I also called Amazon and spoke with a supervisor. No one could explain why I owed this company money and what's going on. I've decided to close my banking account and informed my bank of possible fraud.

Original review: April 18, 2018

17 years purchasing for restaurant supplies, never has a check returned for NSF. In April 2018 was denied same company's check. Called Telecheck, the denier of my check. Instead of asking for reference number, I was asked for my routing #, account #, exact spelling of all authorized signers, as well as all formal info printed on check. All to be transferred to an automated service with no response system. FRAUD PHISHING!!! Contacted my bank which promptly sent my complaint to FRAUD PREVENTION DEPARTMENT. PUBLIC BUYERS BEWARE of your money.

Original review: April 15, 2018

I've recently had fraudulent charges from my debit card. I'm currently waiting on a new card. Saturday night I go to Walgreens to get needed items & my check is declined. I know I have more than enough in my account to cover the check. But I'm denied! Over & over. We try a $4 item & it goes through. Great. Re-ring up my items & deny, deny, deny. The store is closing. I give up & leave without the items I need. I'm now home reading these Telecheck reviews. This is all new to me as I don't write checks at stores. The only place now open is Walmart, that uses this Telecheck. So it's going to be hit or miss. Obviously. I am very irritated. How does this place remain with so many large stores & hundreds of reviews ALL negative?!

Original review: April 12, 2018

I placed a single order with Amazon. Most of it was fine, one item was refused with no reason. Since I know I had more than enough funds in the account and the Amazon system told me I could not re-enter my checking information I was forced to cancel that part of the order and reorder. My first order should have arrived on Friday. I placed my second order, for the item that had mysteriously been unable to be processed and several other items and lo and behold again part of my order was flagged. I called Amazon and they would only give me the phone number for Telecheck. Calling Telecheck I found out they had decided via their computer algorithm that since I had tried to cash multiple checks in a short time they would mark some of them as fraudulent.

I only placed one order each day. Amazon had broken each order into multiple charges. When I explained this to them they said there was nothing they could do everything was handled by the algorithm. Talking to a supervisor I finally got them to say they would update my account so this does not happen again however it will take over 7 days to update their system. 7 days! They admit that humans have no control over the process and it's entirely done by computer. If it's entirely done by a computer how can it take that computer 7 days or more to update? Furthermore what business do they have denying a check order based on how many charges Amazon breaks it into. They have no regard for whether there is available funds and zero human oversight to fix problems. This company should not legally be able to withhold someone's money on entirely arbitrary computer algorithms.

Original review: April 12, 2018

This company should be shut down. They have caused me great grief over writing a check on a new account because I didn't have a track record on that account... Just how to you get a track record when they won't cash your account? Banks are just as bad, they tell you to get a new account when you have been hacked and then won't fight for you when Telecheck won't honor the check. The bank is quick to take my money in the USA, and use my money to get interest for them self, but I have to deal with some foreign speaking someone who can't even understand my issue, let alone fix it. I now have a new checking account that only works when I take my own money out from the bank I started the account with. I should have put the money in my mattress, at least then it would at least work for me. TRS/Telecheck systems are a scam.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I've been on the phone with 1hr and 46 min so far and they haven't taken care of ** but lies to you over and over. Doesn't have the authority to go into my bank account to see if I have funds. That is what they wanted. Info to go into my account and see if I have funds in my account. That's my privacy not for them. I don't have a check on file with them at all. WALMART YOU NEED TO FIND SOMEONE ELSE TO HANDLE YOUR CHECK SYSTEM.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Wallet was stolen. Got a new license today and went to Walmart for desperately needed supplies. Figured I'd write a check (have not done for years) since all other forms of payment were canceled and fraud alerts applied. Check was declined. Reason code 4. Called my bank, no problem there. They suggested a bad machine. Had the CS rep try again different machine. Code 4 again. Bank said call Telecheck. Waited on hold for 20 minutes after entering an endless loop of numbers, after which I was disconnected. The CS clerk then called Telecheck and gave all the same info. Then they asked to speak to me and said they could not allow me to write a check, as I had an overdraft of $325 at Sun** bank... which I have never had an account at. Needless to say, I left without my groceries and am going to seek legal help. This outfit should be put out business!!!

Original review: March 6, 2018

My wife and I are senior citizens and have had the same checking account for more than thirty years. TELECHECK is now preventing us from writing checks at stores we have shipped at for decades and have always written checks. After contacting this company and all the stores i.e. Walmart, Kroger, and Meijer, there seems to be nothing we can do to resolve the issue. Foreign, barely able to speak English, customer service reps were of NO help at all. This company is involved in collecting payment from all of these companies and I bet they get paid for how many checks they refuse. I wonder if this is an attempt to disrupt commerce in America? Even the store managers mentioned were unable to assist us. Guess I will get 666 plastered on my hand so I can access my money. Does anyone REALLY care?

Original review: March 1, 2018

I wish this- someone in customer service speak English!!! I changed my bank 1/3/18. I called Telecheck to make sure I can use a check at the store. Told me-yes! So, I went to Stop and Shop. Cannot use my check because of Telecheck? I was and still am, very upset!! I called them again, on the phone for over an hour. The woman, broken english, asked this- "PLEASE, I want to speak to a supervisor." "So, spoke to the "supervisor". Another broken English cs rep, this man told me, have to wait 7 days??? WTH!! Still not giving me reason why? 7 days, 7 days 7 days??!! Does anyone that work at Telecheck that give me a real reason why? I AM VERY VERY UPSET!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

Writing from a business checking acct, today we were declined for the 3rd time in 6 months. When I call they say they're sorry, not about insufficient funds, new parameters for verifying checks to prevent fraud are what's causing this. Writing checks out of sequence will cause it to be declined, writing large checks for a few days then writing a small one will make it decline, because some computer says so, it can be declined and there's no good reason other than a computer did it?

We just got declined on Amazon for $8.85??? We've ordered stuff from them for over 10 years and NEVER had this happen. We have an EXCELLENT history record with Telecheck and this still happens? There are no rules to follow to ensure it doesn't happen? Whatever new program that Telecheck is using...is no good! Telecheck needs to relook at its program. Trying to follow patterns of a business is stupid. Some days my parts are high and some days there not...that's just the way it is. I'm, getting tired of being embarrassed by this because the code presented doesn't say, YES THIS PERSON HAS THE MONEY BUT OUR COMPUTER IS **!

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Tried to write a check at local grocery store. I have written checks there before. Check was denied by Telecheck. Couldn't get thru on the phone with Telecheck , could this be because of Equifax losing our personal information?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I rarely use checks. Due to being in a different town that did not have my bank I was forced to write a check at Walmart or incur ATM fees. I don’t pay ATM fees so I chose to write a check. I confirmed the store accepted checks. Did my shopping and check was denied. I called the TeleCheck number and after about 20 mins of runaround the final verdict was my check was denied due to no history. No history. I was denied because they didn’t have any information. None which also indicates there is no “bad” information but they refused to accept my check.

I had 4 teenage boys that weekend. Had worked 5 days that week and had to work yet the next morning. I live an hour from the Walmart I was at and the one I usually go to was an hour and a half away with another half hour drive home. There was no leaving without those groceries. Because my bank was closed TeleCheck could not “confirm” the funds for the check was available even though I could have and did offer to send a picture of my current at that moment account balance which covered the amount of the rather large purchase 10 times over. TeleCheck refused. Then while I was at the ATM incurring fees I haven’t paid in 15 years I missed a call from them. I returned the call. Went through the long arduous process of their automated system again to be told they verify the phone number given is accurate for collection purposes.

So not only did they deny me paying by check they followed it up making sure they could certainly contact me in the future without my permission. This experience is without words and because of Walmart use of them I will never step foot in Walmart again. I have never floated a check. Never bounced a check. Never been overdraft nor do I incur any “banking fees”. There was simply no reason to deny my use of a check and the reason given that I was denied because I have never used a check at Walmart isn’t logical whatsoever. If everyone was denied the first time then no one would be able to use a check.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

If a check cannot be funded by Telecheck electronically Telecheck is still authorizing approval codes to the Clover machine and taking credit for a check they are not processing, using the excuse that they are still verifying that the check will be approved. The end of day reports includes paper checks not being deposited electronically, as if they are. Telecheck needs to work with Clover on another way to process paper checks so the end of day reports only includes actual checks being funded electronically.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Telecheck recommended my check to Best Buy be returned. I called Telecheck to find out why, they would only tell me that "I did not meet their guidelines". I asked for their guidelines, asked to talk to a supervisor, but were refused. My concern is that this may happen again. Bouncing my checks for a reason other than insufficient funds and not telling me what that reason is. Frustrating.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

We had everything squared away with Telecheck but yet they won’t allow us to write a check after spending 2 hours on the phone with them this morning. We called to see what was wrong and they said there is nothing on us and we should be able to write out a check. Mind you this is a business check. Apparently, they don’t deal with business checks too well and they said they could not help us tonight and we’d have to call back during business hours. I am fed up with Telecheck and the holding on the phone for an hour and 27 minutes going from person to person. They aren’t professional and customer friendly whatsoever.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Check denial - Typical issue, for no reason but the standard, "You do not have history with TELECHECK," So??? Your problem. Not mine. Well it is my problem. They denied my check at an establishment only because I do not write checks at business that use their service. I will do my best to avoid any business utilizing TELECHECK and will recommend anyone to avoid them also. Even after calling and talking to a rep they still said it will take a week to update my records. A week, how slow is their computer?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I had a returned check from Meijer. I paid Telecheck (thirty dollars) for the returned check. I called Telecheck to find out when I could write another check without any trouble, I spoke to Miss **, she told me it was alright, go, right on and write checks, it will be o.k. I have not been able to get a check cleared at all where the merchant uses Telecheck.

Telecheck Company Information