1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

410 Telecheck Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

The customer service representatives seem rude and incompetent. Had to call back 4 times to get the issue resolved. Had a hard time communicating because of heavy foreign accent. Would be nice if customer service could stay within the US. In the 4 times I called, I got a different rep every time, but all had the same accent.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Telecheck shut down my business credit without any cause or warning. It kept kicking back my ACH withdrawals for purchases and despite 40 minutes on hold going in circles in their automated system, finally got a live person who was NO HELP WHATSOEVER! 28 years in business, and I was told they blocked account purchases due to "unusual activity". CRAZY that NOTHING could be done. Told to "try again in 7 days".

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Absolutely unacceptable and embarrassing. Legal check was rejected at vet hospital caring for our dog with cancer. We are regulars there. My wife is an executive at the bank. The check is drawn on so the money is in there. Rude customer service when I call to find out what the problem is. I will be pressing the vet to do away with Telecheck.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Telecheck prohibited payment to an insurance carrier due to "high risk"- I was informed that our business does not have enough history with Telecheck. We've been in business for 20+ years. Never before has this happened. I was informed by the "supervisor" - ID ** - there was no one higher up with whom I could speak and nothing could be done. We issue checks that exceed $100K. This amount was for well under $5K. Telecheck is prohibiting our insured from operating their business due to an inept policy. Completely ridiculous. Please avoid this poorly operated of a business.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Went to Rite-aid and wrote a check for $9.99. When I got my bank statement same check number was on there 2 times so called my bank and they took care of it. Then get to grocery store and my checks would not go thru electronically so I would just sign and they would keep my check. Contacted Telecheck could not understand what they were saying. Something about the dispute of my check for $9.99 and had to wait 7 days 'cause it erased my writing check history then go back to grocery store got $76.00 worth of food only to find out now my checks are declined.

It was their mistake putting a check thru 2 times and I have to wait 7 days to write a check anywhere that Telecheck is used and talking to anyone from Telecheck is a waste of time. I have excellent credit and 20 yrs at writing checks at grocery store. I Have never in my life been declined... All I wanted was my $9.99 back that Telecheck took out twice. Even sent proof and I have to wait for it to get approved. I will avoid stores that use Telecheck.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Telecheck?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

There was a mistake with a check that I wrote to the grocery store and it showed as returned. Once the situation was cleared up with the grocery store Telecheck is still making me wait 10-14 business days before I can write a check again. I wasn't told that this would happen and went through the embarrassment in 2 different stores for having my check declined for this reason.

When I called customer service to clear the issue further, I had to enter my information over and over again before the system finally let me speak to a representative. The representative was rude and talked over me, essentially reading a prepared speech. When I asked to speak to a manager they told me that there was nothing that could be done for me and ended the call. I'm forced to continue to use this service if I want to write a check because every store in my area goes through them.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I am a Tractor Supply Customer and have been for many years. I write checks several times a month there. Today my check was denied by Telecheck. When I called them I was told I did not fit their pattern for writing checks and did not have a valid payment history. I gave them the dates for the last half dozen checks but they could find no history of them. I called Tractor Supply headquarters in Tennessee and told them they might want to get another vendor. Also Telecheck's customer service is offshore (in the Philippine Islands) and they are not interested in resolving these problems.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

They cheat you out of money or able to make a purchase. Then charge you for making it right. It’s a fraud, I think. They won’t even let a buyer use their own hard earned money. They aren’t even accredited and the government needs to investigate them. My bank has no problem with me or my account!! High rating. These people (Telecheck fraudsters) need to go back to the swamp where they came from.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I had this terrible experience with Telecheck. It seems that many of companies in the US are using their services to verify payments by checks. I read many comments here of frustrated Americans who were turned down by Telecheck. For me, I wanted to pay for a device at Best Buy. The total including the tax was $1059.99. My checks are promotional checks that are linked to my credit card account, not to my checking account. When the clerk passed the check through their machine, it was rejected and a note from Telecheck was printed on the reverse side of the check. So I asked the clerk who is Telecheck and she didn't have any idea. I called Telecheck on the number provided by the note.

Auto recorded message asked me to key in the reference number provided in the note, then my zip code. Another message said something about blocking the transaction due to fears of fraud. So I carried on to talk to human representative. A thick-accented lady answered the line and after verifications she asked me if I listened to the message before talking to her. I said yes I did but this is not correct because I am not a fraud person, I can provide verifications as much as you need, but she said there is no way to move on with my payment and I should wait some time I don't remember how long exactly before I can try again. I became so upset and asked to talk to her supervisor. She transferred me to a supervisor, another thick-accented lady.

She said there is no way to accept that check now and I must wait for that time which I don't remember exactly how long before I can try again. I suggested to her that she calls my bank which is Bank of America to verify that the check is legit and not fraud, but she strongly refused. I asked her where she is at, and she said she is at the Philippines. I asked her why a Philippine company is doing money business for companies in the US, and she became upset and rude and forced her way out of the conversation and hanged out on me. I asked to talk to the store manager at Best Buy, a person with little skills of customer service who rudely turned me down again.

I mean how can I be a fraud person walking in a store with many security cameras and identify myself to the system through my Best Buy online account? Isn't it not logical for me to try such an easy job for the police to catch me if I was fraud? Still, the store manager has no solution to offer. I hereby would open invitation for anyone who would like to join me to file a lawsuit against this Telecheck and any US-based company that keep using their services even with many customers complaining. I can't do this lawsuit by myself. I need support from people who were turned down by this company while they had legit checks.

Let's raise our voices against them together. My name is M. ** and you can email me your support with comprehensive description of your encounter with Telecheck and how that humiliated you at the check-out counter in front of others. I can't share my contact details here, but write your willingness to support me in a comment and I'll ask the admin of this website to connect me to you.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Complete wrong customer profile: Was paying for Rx of $79.12 dol. for Rx. with my account from Bank of America check when CVS refused payment saying check service information indicates reason I have 100% top credit. Never had any financial problems during my entire lifetime.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

My wife wrote a check for 10000 dollars at Home Depot for kitchen cabinets. Telecheck refused to cash it even though we had 60000 dollars in that account. Called them, they said it looked like identity check, and they would fix it. A week later, we bought groceries at Meijer's and they would not cash it. I called again, they checked with my credit union for resources and said the problem was solved. I got my credit union get involved, and they were told two more times that it was fixed. Yesterday wrote a check at Meijer's and it was refused. Is there some way we can do a class action lawsuit for defamation of character, or let these companies know not to use Telecheck anymore. Oh, also the people you talk to have such a thick accent it's impossible to understand them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Telecheck processes checks for Food Maxx and Tractor Supply Store; my checks refused at both merchants. My Bank of America account (40 years) is good; clerk says to call Telecheck. My daughter's credit with Golden1 Credit Union has been applied to my account (she has insufficient funds) and bingo they apply her insufficient funds rating to my BofA account. We "both have the same initials" per the customer service rep. There is no way they should be able to transfer someone's credit to my account, let alone from a Credit Union account. Bottom line, they have "cleared my account but don't use it for 72 hours" and in 30 days they will send me a letter explaining what happened. My letter to them is in the mail with a copy to Bank of America and Golden1 Credit Union.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

To make a long story short, my debit card was compromised a few days back and my bank cancelled it before I was able to withdraw my money. I therefore tried to wire money to myself via either Western Union or MoneyGram using my checking account information so that I could get cash, but I kept getting errors with both services. After verifying that everything was ok on my bank's end, I then found out from both companies that they used a 3rd party company called Telecheck in order to process payments. I then received a number to contact them directly to resolve the issue. It was then when the representative informed me that my transactions had been declined due to lack of history processing funds using my checking account with this service... What?

So what they're basically saying when someone has an emergency (which services like MoneyGram and Western Union are often used for) for the first time, their transaction is automatically rejected and they're basically screwed? Where's the logic in that? To put icing on the cake, the representative informed me even after I verified everything with her, it would STILL take SEVEN days before this would be reflected on their system! What good does that do someone who needs emergency funds?! I'll have a new debit card mailed to me by then.

It's insane to me that in the computer age it takes that long for something like this to process. No logical explanation as to what the holdup is was ever given to me. Basically because of this one 3rd party company that apparently many companies like to use I literally have no money for so much as a can of soda until my new debit card gets mailed to me... Let's not even get on the subject of bills that will now be past due.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

Went to Walmart, bought groceries, wrote a check and was declined by Telecheck for code 3. I called and they said we have not established a pay by history with them. I paid with a check yesterday and last week. They asked if I have another account. Being that we moved from Illinois, I gave my account from there and they said we didn’t establish anything there either (even though we wrote all kinds of checks at Walmart). The woman said we can try again but it may decline. We did so and it declined. How can we set up a history if they are going to decline? Why couldn’t they see out prior history? Horrible company!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

We have had 3 checks declined, we ask why, Telecheck says possible fraud! We are in the checkout, show our driver's license with photo to cashier, they decline us!!! I literally hate this company! Somebody close them down please.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

While checking out at a CVS instead of using my debit card I wrote a personal check. Telecheck declined my purchase for reasons of suspicious activity and or no sufficient history??? I thought someone had hacked my bank account!!! There was plenty of $$$ to cover amount of check.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have had the same checking account for my business for close to 6 yrs and have been NEVER denied anywhere. Tried to use it for the Amazon Prime Day to get items for my business and was denied several times! No explanation from Amazon. Redone the info for the account, still denied! If I go to a store and try to write a check (which I never do, I always use my debit card) I will just close the account and reopen another. Less trouble than trying to contact this company and Amazon just turns a blind eye!

Original review: July 12, 2018

On July 7, 2018 I went grocery shopping at Walmart and they refused to cash a check (from my credit union by TeleCheck) from me. I called Telecheck on July 11, 2018 but after many tries to reach a person to speak with I ended up filling out a form to dispute the refusal of accepting my check. Now it will take up to 30 days to even get an answer for the dispute. I can't imagine why they would not accept my check. Sick of trying to work with foreign companies that can't even answer the phone or speak good English.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I spent 3 hours waiting at the DMV today only to have my check denied by these morons. I was and remain furious! When I called Telecheck and spoke with a supervisor about the problem all I was told was is they had insufficient information on my checking account. What a joke, this company is pathetic and incompetent. Thanks Telecheck for wasting my afternoon you **. My credit score is well over 800 and I have never bounced a check, this company is a fraud and should be restricted from doing whatever sham check evaluation they do.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I had a check denied at my local Food Lion, last night. After going through automated prompts for 20 minutes, I was able to get a human on the phone... However, I could not understand anything he said! I asked him several times, in different ways what the explanation was for my check decline. I never got anything except I didn't have enough history with them. I have had this account for 15 years! I have had a returned check that was paid a few months ago and a month later, had the same experience. That time though, I was told my account was cleared and there should be no further issue with my account. So, needless to say, I was not only perplexed as to the denial but embarrassed at the checkout line as well. I spent close to 2 hours shopping for groceries, only to be denied, without any resolution.

What really concerns me here, is the rep continually asked for all of my account information, who else was on the account and get this... WHAT MY CHECKING ACCOUNT BALANCE WAS!!!! I asked why he needed this information and got crickets. He did go on to say "we want you to continue writing checks to build your history". This made no sense, I said. So, you want me to shop, get declined so I can build a history? No thanks! I will just find grocers that DON'T use Telecheck. I am contacting Food Lion corporate and letting them know of my experience and my reasons for boycotting their establishment for the 1st time since 1983. I cannot support any business that subjects me to humiliation and possible fraud. I believe Telecheck is evil and probably has some degree of phishing practices involved. It was definitely a red flag being asked how much money was in my bank account!

Original review: June 23, 2018

Yes Telecheck started declining our checks when the bank of Oklahoma added a 0 to the front of our account # on our new checks we ordered. The bank said the new # is how they are doing it now. We call Telecheck to tell they what the bank was doing they said they fixed it. But we go shopping and get declined again. We call Telecheck again and get another runaround. They say they linked both account #s. We go shopping again and Telecheck again declined the check for lack of history. This started on 06/02/2018. I don't understand how a co. as big as Telecheck cannot get updated software to fix this problem so I can go shopping and not have to deal with their problem.

Original review: June 22, 2018

My company was trying to get a $1500.00 gift card from Walmart and our check was declined! We were told to call Telecheck and to get it approved and bring it back to the store. Telecheck had no intention of helping us! We called 3 times! We couldn't hear the first guy, the second one was RUDE and the third said he couldn't do anything because the second guy had already dealt with us so we'd have to wait 7 days to talk to someone else!! This company is terrible to deal with, I guess, because they can be. They are holding your money hostage!! Do I call Walmart to complain now since they use them? Or does Walmart not have a choice in who they use?? I don't know but this is maddening!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

Telecheck processes checks for MoneyGram. My first transaction was declined because of an "information mismatch" even though the account information was 100% correct. Moneygram told me to call Telecheck, but there were no options on the automated system for my problem. There's also no way to speak with a live human being. After 30 minutes of exploring the automated attendant, I found a human being in their fraud department after selecting about 10 options. The person spoke with a very thick Spanish accent that was difficult to understand. After relating my problem, the rep said that she would update my info in their system (which was exactly what I provided online) and that I could "try again in 7 days", then abruptly hung up on me. Needless to say, I won't be doing business with Moneygram or Telecheck in the future. I can definitely see why they have a litany of 1-star reviews online.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I am 63 years old and I have never written a bad check. Today I wrote a check at Walmart and it was turned down. I called Telecheck and was told it was because they could not verify my credit history when I just wrote a check up there last week for 200.00. My bank changed my account number and sent new checks which started over at 1000. This is ridiculous. They could have verified everything with my driver's license. Are they stupid or such a small business they can't figure that out. From the reviews I am not the only one having a problem. I think I will report them to the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Protection. I have always shopped at Walmart but I will not be going back. THE management and corporate office could have cared less about the problem.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Today I tried to write a check at Bed Bath and Beyond. It was DECLINED. WHAT THE HELL. I know this account has money in it. I was at the bank yesterday. This is the second day in a row that I have had a check declined. After five attempts, I was able to get through to Telecheck to be told I don't write enough checks. What does that have with the price of chickens. NOTHING! I write checks. Just because I don't write checks to your businesses is NO reason they decline my checks.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Through no fault of my own, the companies I tried to use my check at [Amazon & Walmart] both went through Telecheck and both companies had trouble getting my check approved. My account has thousands of dollars in it and no negative comments, yet Telecheck refuses to OK the checks, for a very outrageous reason. When I finally get through to this company, they tell me that there is not sufficient history on my account for them to approve it. WTF? Number one, if there are sufficient funds in your account, why the hassle. Number two, how does one get sufficient history on an account, if they keep refusing to ok a check? Bottom line stay away from this company, if you can, at all cost. Incompetent, rude and not understanding.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My check was declined at our local grocery store by Telecheck on 2 consecutive occasions, though I had more than adequate funds in my checking account. Telecheck responded that our bank not have enough history with Telecheck.

Original review: May 15, 2018

A valid funded checking account used and accepted online by dozens of other companies, utilities and others is rejected by Sprint due to their defective tie with Telecheck. No explanations from Sprint. No contact possible with Telecheck. I'm not about to give this 3rd party anything about my accounts as Sprint suggests. If this continues... We're cutting Sprint off the bid table. Very very dissatisfied client. We have other options and many other carriers. I'm surprised Sprint has allowed this to continue.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have written checks at Walmart for years then was declined. I have never had a bad check. I called and they want all this personal info. I asked where this company is located. It is in the Philippines so I gave them nothing. I had this happen 20 years ago at Walgreens. They tried to say my check was bad. Called my bank and when my bank said nothing was wrong they said I wrote too many checks in a short time period.

Original review: May 2, 2018

All began with a phone call from an 800 number (Telecheck/TRS services) saying I owed them money from an Amazon purchase. I've been an Amazon customer for years, never had an issue and this purchase was delivered to me and the seller never contacted me. Anyway I called Telecheck back after looking into it on my end. I've already given them my routing and checking account numbers and drivers license. Now they're saying I don't owe money. But they can't say why I don't owe money. Every answer is vague and I also called Amazon and spoke with a supervisor. No one could explain why I owed this company money and what's going on. I've decided to close my banking account and informed my bank of possible fraud.

Telecheck Company Information