Telecheck

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received several collection notices in the mail from Amazon marketplace. I contacted Amazon and they said they were in fact from Telecheck. After several calls between Telecheck (which was at an overseas call center, and very difficult to understand) and Amazon I found that the checks were written from some bank in the Midwest and they had even misspelled my name! I filed fraud reports with all 3 credit agencies, the local police and the federal agency. I submitted all the required information to Telecheck. A month later they deny the fraud claim and are now attempting to connect from me again. Never, ever, ever will I do business with Telecheck.

Like many of the reviewers, I tried to write a check at the grocery store where I always shop, having forgotten my credit cards. My check was declined. It took a horrendously long time with their customer service menu, and representatives with very poor English, to finally determine that the reason was that I do not have a check-writing history with them. There was nothing whatsoever wrong with the account (held for decades), or my ample balance, just that they had never had to verify one of my checks in the past. The logic is appalling - does this mean they deny every single check that is the first one that comes in from an individual? I have asked my grocery store to stop using them; I don't know whether that will be successful, but I will definitely ask in the future.

Went to grocery outlet and write a check for 46.50. I had checked with the bank and plenty of funds. It was rejected and called the horrible company Telecheck. They said it was fraudulent and that I usually don't write checks. The rep ran a script nothing I can do considering my credit is rated excellent. Wtf the manager at grocery outlet was of no help so the next time I see a shoplifters you can bet I'm gonna look the other way. Hope it was worth it. I then went to Fred Mayer and they took a check no problem.

My husband was paying for his intended purchases at a store, a store we have used for years, and with a check from a checking account he has had for 25 years, writing literally thousands of checks. The transaction was not allowed to be processed on the basis that Telecheck provided information suggesting the store could not trust the check. He called Telecheck while still in the store, asking what this was about as we have not had a problem like this before. The person he spoke to consistently mispronounced his name (Gus) every single time he addressed him, and also called him "Ma'am" repeatedly. He in no way sounds feminine so I can only assume that either the person he spoke to was purposely trying to anger him, or they were literally not intelligent enough to realize that they were making the same mistakes which he corrected them on each and every time it was made.

The employee told my husband that as far as he could tell there was absolutely nothing wrong with the check, and that the decision to not accept the check was based solely on the establishment he was trying to make a payment to. The only comment being, "Well you have made a lot of transactions." Which if he had looked at the accounts information, yes that's true. In fact that's been true for the entire 25 years, as this is a joint checking and business checking account, and numerous transactions take place nearly every day.

When asked to put the check through, since he said there was nothing wrong with the check, my husband was told that the check could be cleared in 7 days. There is absolutely no reason the check should have been declined, other than some contrived notion that Telecheck came up with based off of who knows what. The fact that while we had written checks many, many times in this very store, we hadn't written a physical check there recently? Despite the debit card associated with the account and the checks themselves being used there bi-weekly for the last few years? Right, that makes sense, wait no it doesn't. To further enrage us, the person he spoke to never did come up with a good answer as to why the check was declined, and kept blaming the store itself.

This entire process took an hour, in front of a store of people, creating not just embarrassment, as he was made to look bad by the store and Telecheck combined, but also a huge waste of valuable working time. He came home, and I then called Telecheck myself. I was asked to push in the digits on the phone according to account numbers, etc., some of which I was asked to repeat again after a few questions, for no apparent reason, as I had already confirmed that the numbers I provided were correct, it took an unreasonable amount of time, and for all my effort all I got out of the automated account was that the decline was not due to a debt associated with the account. Well, duh. I knew that when I called in, but of course, no other information was available.

So, long story short, Telecheck for reasons best known to apparently no one there, decided to decline a check during a busy work day, causing my husband to have to go to another store to write a check for parts there instead of the store we have made hundreds of transactions at in the course of just a few years. Telecheck blamed the store, store said Telecheck handles it all and they were not responsible either. Complete joke.

I was purchasing my husband's birthday present and forgot my debit card. The store accepted checks so I wrote a check and it was declined by TeleCheck because I did not have enough history with their service. I asked him to verify funds with my bank and they refused because they are not affiliated with any bank. They stated I did not have a history of writing checks at that store, but this was my first time here. I stated that we use checks often for paying our bills and our account is 10 years old. How are we supposed to develop a history if they refused to approve our checks? They could not answer this. After horrible customer service, I had to go to the ATM to purchase my husband's birthday present and it puts such a kink in my day and was completely unnecessary.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Telecheck?

I went to Home Depot to pay for a rather sizeable door installation project (around $1,600). My father is disabled, so I was doing all the footwork for him, including giving them a check he wrote for the total amount. Telecheck denied the check, and after much back and forth and calling, it was determined the reason was that my father didn't "have any history with Telecheck, therefore they couldn't accept a check for such a large amount". My father has been using checks since the 1960s. He's had the same checking account since probably the 1970s. He's written checks much larger than that, and never had any problem. And now, this third-party company decides to arbitrarily say that he's not 'trustworthy' enough because he's never used their service before?

The employees at Home Depot were very apologetic and informed me that this happens a lot. Thanks to Telecheck, Home Depot may have lost a $1,600 job, because the only other option is for me to carry that amount in cash, which is never a good idea. To all companies who are using Telecheck - you are losing business with every valid check they deny. Drop them fast.

I went to Walmart to write a check and it was declined. It was a machine glitch. My finance institute compensated me, but they still took out my money without authorization, but I got charged return fee for what happened, without my authorization. They will compensate me within 24 hours, or I will go to a friend that is an attorney.

Apparently, Amazon processes bank payments through a third party Telecheck Services Inc. that frequently rejects payments without cause and then immediately forwards them to their collections agency. This is not disclosed by Amazon in their payment options, by representatives when directly asked, or anywhere else in the process. In my case while making a recent Amazon order, 2 items were declined, while 9 others in the same order went thru, all with the same banking information. They could not explain why they declined these and within 10 minutes of the Amazon purchase it had been referred it to Telechecks counterpart collections business TRS.

Having sufficient funds in the account and providing the correct information, I'm not sure why two relatively small items, both under $20, out of my order were rejected, or why these would be referred to collections minutes after placing the order. Personally, I've spent many hours trying to resolve this with Amazon and Telecheck-TRS to no avail, like hundreds of other before me and sadly hundreds more to come.

Amazon is seriously negligent in providing proper disclosures - failing to identify this third party billing relationship with Telecheck Services Inc, and is unwilling to resolve issues that arise with it even when there is no customer error or fault. In trying to identify what company is ultimately responsible in order to make a complaint, there is actually a nest of companies involved: Telecheck Services Inc, TRS Recovery Services Inc, and First Data Merchant Services Inc. None of these 3 companies are accredited businesses with the Better Business Bureau and multiple addresses appear for them. Extensive customer complaints attest to a common experience of rejected payments without cause and then being charged multiple times by these different parties.

Consumers have to spend many months and hundreds of hours on the phone, responding to written requests and faxing information only to be told contradictory information. What's most disconcerting are the numerous reports of people being repeatedly asked to pay arbitrary sums even after confirmation of payment by all parties. Shame on Amazon for partnering with such businesses. Beware of Amazon's bank payment option, which is thru Telecheck Services and TRS.

Amazon must fully and clearly disclose this third party billing relationship with Telecheck-TRS up front to customers, clearly provide the business name and pertinent details such as contact information, security safeguards for customer financial data, as well as provide adequate and prompt means to resolve their processing issues.

It's important to file complaints with your state consumer protection agency, attorney general, and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), as well as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to ensure these unscrupulous, disreputable business practices are not allowed to continue. Contacting your State representatives and congressional reps to share your issues and concerns may also help pressure these businesses into greater accountability. Good luck avoiding Telecheck Services. Definitely do NOT choose banking payments with Amazon or you'll have to deal with them.

I went to walmart to buy groceries and I have lost my check card. I have 2 toddlers who like to go through my wallet. I have used checks before for the same reason and there never had been an issue until today. I had $100 worth of groceries with my 2 kids in the cart when my check was refused. For NO reason. I even pulled up my checking account to show them I have the money in my account and they still told me there was nothing they could do. I spent probably 500 a month at walmart for groceries. And today I am so embarrassed and mad. I can't even explain to you. My husband is out of town on business, and I had to leave the groceries at the register. My kids did not understand what was going on. No worries though I drove 30 min to wegmans and they accepted my check just fine. Thanks for wasting my time.

For several months, I go to get groceries at Meijers and prescriptions and you have to pay for the prescriptions first. Got that covered. Then on to groceries. Don't ever get to the cash out lane and start and give the check to the cashier and I am told, "Telecheck declined your check again" AGAIN!!! and AGAIN!!! and AGAIN!!! Get my drift. That's funny I just wrote a check for prescriptions in the same store and it went thru... Now my check for groceries won't. GIVE ME A BREAK... I am so tired of this that it isn't funny. I want to hire an attorney and get these people taken down. This is so outrageous. So go to the debit card that is connected to the account and lord and behold!!! GEEZ WHIZZZZ it took. Funny how the debit card goes thru but my check won't. On to the next store. Dog Food and toys. Hmph!!! Won't go thru. Then on to Best Buy. Trying to buy a new TV. TOLD AGAIN!!!!

I have had it. Walk across the street to the drive up and I get cash instantly, then go back to Best Buy and give them the money. They just stand there looking at me, like what the hell!!! I am so tired of this outfit denying me and telling merchants that don't even know me I don't have any more money and I am a bad person. Like hell I am... I have the money in the account. Don't tell me I can't write a check. Someone needs to do something. I am tired of being turned down, and tired of the embarrassment. What kind of an outfit is this place. Since when can someone or something tell me I can or can't write checks. Why even have a bank account if this is what they do. Then I go to my bank and make a complaint, and I am told, well must be their machines, must not be talking to our machines??? WHAT??? The banks don't care either???

What has this world gotten to or become. I work for a living, earn somewhat a decent wage and pay my bills and have never written a bad check in my life, so leave me alone!!! Just because someone else might have the same name or whatever, it isn't me... Call telecheck and get told, well to many checks have been written for that fraudulent amount and it isn't the norm for me to write that amount in checks. We failed to inform the merchant that you do not have a claim on file. What the heck. If I want to write a check for a certain amount of money and I know I have that much, I am going to write it, I am not stupid and they do not have the write to deny me or refrain me from writing it. This company or whoever they are needs to be taken down and for all the hurt and pain and embarrassment and bad check amounts I am long overdue to a reimbursement. I am going to keep this up and do what ever it takes to take this place down.

Ok so I was just at Walmart about 1 week ago and purchased a backpack for my son using a check for 30 bucks, well guess what happened last night... My check for 284.23 was declined by teladummies!! I was surprised cause even if I didn't have the money my bank would cover it. So I call and the lady tells me that she sees nothing and there are no negative marks to impact the decline of my check and that it looks to be perfect my check history. She still couldn't approve it and that I'd need to call back so that she could verify with my bank that I had the funds... No matter dummie!!! I got overdraft coverage on top of other things with my account. Who the hell died and made them account overseers!!?

I will not now or ever do business with any company who uses Often wrong Telecheck. I will forever ask the question before any transaction; "Do you use Telecheck?" If so; then I will go elsewhere...

I tried to write a check at Walmart because I had to order a new debit card and it won't be in till next week. Telecheck wouldn't approve my check because they said that I write too many checks. Problem with that is I only write about 5 checks a month. Had to run to my bank and cash a check then back to Walmart to pay for my groceries. I think this company needs to be shut down. What if this was an emergency? Someone please do something about this company.

I was waiting for a replacement bank card in the mail, so I decided to do an e-check online. Telecheck declined the transaction. When I called, they said someone used my drivers license number to open an account. Not my name, my birthdate, my social or any other pertinent information. So my answer is: clearly it wasn't me! Then they tell me that I can't write any checks for 30 days until they investigate. I called the DMV to request a change, of course I need info from Telecheck, guess what... they can't give me any info!!!

When I tried to pay for my purchase at Walgreens, my check was declined even though I have plenty of money to cover it. When I called Telecheck, they said it was because I have written too many checks to Walgreens, even though they have approved them all before and they could see where I had never written a bad check -- ever. Shouldn't this establish a secure check writing history? So much for shopping ANYWHERE that uses Telecheck. Ridiculous.

I just heard about this company today for the first time. At first I thought they were a good company that exists to prevent fraudulent transactions, but after what went on between me and them, I believe the company itself is the fraud. I tried to send money to my family through MoneyGram services online and used my checking account information. I tried several time but I kept getting the same message, that my banking information couldn't be verified, so I called MoneyGram to find out what was going on. That was when I heard the name Telecheck, I was told that Telecheck had to approve my transaction before it could go through. I called Telecheck and they told me that my transaction were being held back because I have a short check writing history. First of all it is not true that I do not write checks, I write checks all the time to my land lord to pay my rent.

Secondly, I wasn't even writing a check, I was doing online transactions using my checking information. That is different from writing a check. But that is not even the point, these people blocked my transaction and couldn't let me complete my transaction. I do not know them, I do not bank with them and I am not purchasing anything from them. I don't know why they are able to have access to my account information in the first place. I am pissed right now, and I can't wait to talk to my bank about this. I don't know how a fraud like this is even allowed to exist.

The most insulting part of it is that I was told they could approve my account only after one week, REALLY AFTER ONE WEEK??? Who are you? The lady told me they believed it could be a risk to me, yeah I get that at first, but you are talking to me now. I have gone through this several times with my bank with big purchases and other online transactions, but they would allow my transaction to go through after talking to me. Something has to be done about this fraud that calls itself Telefraud. I checked on Google Reviews and there are over 20 reports, all negative about this company. Again, I don't know why they are even allowed to operate with such overwhelming negatives.

I tried to write a check for a can of hairspray at Ulta Beauty. It was denied. I was shocked! I have plenty of money in the bank. I called the bank just to make sure nothing had happened and the customer service person was also shocked. After doing some research on this matter and reading the reviews posted on this site, I'm not sure that Telecheck is good for businesses. I also tried calling their customer service. I didn't feel comfortable giving out information to the foreign sounding person I was talking to so I gave up. I can see potential for information falling into the wrong hands. I will not be doing business with companies that use this!

I do not know what an order # is and have no receipt as I'll not talk to a machine. I wrote a check to Walmart 13 days ago and my credit union inadvertently closed my Overdraft Protection Loan as I paid it off in full after using it a few months earlier. Of course I knew I would go over $5.09, but knew I was covered. I don't use it very often but it's there if I need too. Anyway Walmart/TeleCheck sent the check through 1 time my CU refunded my fee their CU. So the check clears on the 2nd of June due to Memorial Day. So you would think that would be that, right? Oh no, here we are 2 weeks later, check paid with fee that I've requested to be covered by my CU that I've belonged to for 45 years due to the accidental closing of my OD Loan by a new employee.

Anyway I refuse to give all my info to a machine that could wreak havoc on my CU accounts; I mean really what's up with a machine over something so private and personal? Then they want to know if I want English & if I do, press 1. OF COURSE I DO, THIS IS AMERICA; ENGLISH IS OUR NATIVE LANGUAGE!!! So I will continue to wreak havoc on any and all websites and papers, radio stations. 'Til they show some humanity with our English-speaking American consumers!!!

Yes I know the great U.S.A. is a melting pot with many languages and I'm proud to be an American and speak out with the freedom we've fought for to have; I have no bias to non-English speaking citizens/refugees... but really ask if you prefer Spanish, press 1. So I guess I'll just write checks from a different account or pay cash, but in the meantime TELECHECK gets my rating of NEGATIVE 10 TO THE TENTH POWER!!! GOD bless ConsumerAffairs & the many peoples of our great U.S.A.!!!

OMG!!! Where do I start? Applied for a savings account online; great credit worthy person. I received a denial based on info from Telecheck. Called their provided 800 # to talk with Ashley; who proceeded to ask for detailed personal information. In 2016 with the epidemic of identity theft, a company should know and do better than to ask for everything about you including your DL#, address, SS#, telephone #, cell #, DOB and next of kin! That is too invasive! Ashley could not understand why I was unwilling to provide all of that 'Personal Identifying Information' simply to receive the response they provided to Realtor Federal Credit Union about me.

I requested to speak with her supervisor; someone Tony came on the line and still did not want to supply me with any of the information that was provided to this credit union about me; because according to him "they needed to do more research into exactly who I am before they could release any information to me." REALLY!!!

If Telecheck is the deciding factor the information they submit should be factual regarding an individual's information. It isn't clear what they have said to Realtor Federal Credit Union to spur this decision; but I haven't written a check since September 4, 2004 to Bigelow Blvd Buick for the unfinanced purchase of a vehicle. The depth to which these people wanted to delve into my personal information is a bit extreme; again in this day and time with all of the technology available to even the smallest of companies. Why does this company need to deep dive and explore a person's PII before they even answer one simple questions? I suspect these questions are asked to irritate the caller (victim) to a high level of frustration so that there is never a resolution and the erroneous information can remain in their system being reported repeatedly to any company that recruits the services of Telecheck!!! Applicants Beware!!!

I have a health savings checking account that I use infrequently for qualifying purchases related to doctor's office co-pays, prescription medication, etc. I recently visited Rite Aid to purchase allergy medications totaling $45 and the check was declined - twice. Since I had ample funds with which to cover this purchase and excellent credit, I was perplexed with the decline. So I stepped outside and called the number on the decline receipt. After FINALLY finding a human on the other end of the phone after entering my information twice on my phone (aggravating), she explained they had no information on this checking account. I explained it was an HSA and only used for IRS qualified purchases relative to healthcare, so the checking account wasn't used each and every day.

It's extremely bothersome to the customer who doesn't deserve a decline to be treated in such a manner. It's extremely embarrassing to say the least. I would think Telecheck would have other means with which to gauge a fraudulent purchase, aside from the fact an account is seldom used. Perhaps a credit rating if there's "little to no information" available to them before they issue a decline? The thing is, businesses who utilize Telecheck's service is losing customers with these erroneous declines and embarrassments to their patrons. The Telecheck clerk told me to again try the purchase tomorrow as she "updated" their records. I will do so, but if declined, I will not frequent Rite Aid again for fear of this unfair and inaccurate assessment by a company they employ for fraud protection.

TeleCheck would not O.K. a check I wrote today at Allen Honda in College Station, Texas. I had written a small check a few months ago there and the check today was for several hundred dollars by contrast. Even after answering all their questions over the phone, TeleCheck still refused to approve the check. I have never bounced a check in my 60 years and this experience was embarrassing.

Tried to write a check today at Home Depot and was declined. Sales rep tried phoning to get the matter solved and after more than 19 minutes in the phone gave up. Left without ordering my cabinets. Phone Telecheck tonight to inquire about the issue and was given vague information about them needing to verify my phone number but no assurance the same thing won't happen when I try to place this order again. They recommend phoning directly from the store when declined but am I really going to stop business at a register then give my personal information via phone with other customers are behind me in line? Home Depot I will charge this large order and you can lose 2.75% credit card processing fee. By the way I had more than sufficient balance to cover the check.

I went to the grocery store about a block from my home, where everyone knows everyone because it is a small town. My check was declined, so I tried a check from another account (both had plenty money), that was declined also. I thought the store was having trouble, because they did not give me a print out with any information on it. A couple of days later, I went to the gas station to purchase gas and a couple of cold drinks for my grandchildren who were with me. Again, my check is declined from both accounts. I was furious. I called the number and like everyone else, went through the process of entering all the information two or three times and finally got to speak to a person who I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND. I'm assuming she was Indian or Pakistanian or whatever!! I kept asking to speak to someone who could speak CLEAR ENGLISH. She told me I would have to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor was busy.

I hung up and called back, hoping to get a different person and hoping I could understand that person. NO such luck!! I got the same person, who expressed over and over how sorry she was about my troubles and I assured her I know she wasn't really sorry, that telling me that was just part of the speech they have to give you. Same story, I finally understood that it wasn't my lack of funds, it was because they were "monitoring my account for fraud". I asked who gave them permission to monitor my account. It is my account, I work for that money, why should I have to have their permission to spend it? After arguing with her for what seemed like forever, she told me again how sorry she was, and she would remove the hold. For the next couple of days, I wrote checks at the Doctor's office, the pharmacy, the grocery store. This is how we keep track of our spending. I never have cash on me.

Today, I go to put gas in my car and the check is denied again. I called Telecheck and got a foreign speaking man this time, his name was JACK (I think I know what is middle name is). Anyway, he told me the same story as before, except he added that part of the reason is because I had had a check denied in the past six days. DUH!!! They were the ones that denied it, I thought we had gotten it all cleared up, and now he tells me I have to wait 7 days before I can write a check. I had to go the bank and cash a check that was enough for gas and the medicine I needed TODAY!! It seems to me that this cannot be legal. I can understand if you keep writing bad checks or it's a habitual problem, but I did not ask them to perform this service. I am seriously contemplating consulting an attorney and suing Telecheck and the businesses that use them.

HOW CAN THEY KEEP ME FROM SPENDING MY MONEY? WHAT IF I NEED TO WRITE A CHECK FOR AN EMERGENCY? I asked Jack if he would come and pay for my medicine for me and his answer was the same old "I am so sorry, m'am". If he would have been within my sight, my hands would probably still be around his neck. Isn't there something we can do? This is the most UNFAIR FORM OF BUSINESS I HAVE EVER SEEN.

I was with my senior citizen mom at the Giant Food Store on Leaman Farm Rd. in Germantown, MD on April 22 when she wrote a check for groceries plus cash over--totaling less than $135--and had the check declined. No explanation--just a receipt with instructions to call if we wanted to pursue the matter. I pursue matters. I called today. It took almost 25 minutes to get past recordings, the first line explainer/apologist to a "supervisor" named Jen.

I learned the following: TeleCheck is a check guarantee service that serves Giant and others, not my mom. The company did not decline her based on any of the following (because none applied): bad credit (TeleCheck doesn't check a credit report), returned check (that has never happened), or failure to use the service for the number of checks required as a condition to being able to write a check for an amount in excess of the grocery amount (my mom was well beyond that requirement). TeleCheck makes a decision for each check and does not necessarily consider other check history (according to the first person) although the supervisor could tell me the dates and amounts of the two previous checks written at that store (suggesting they knew the relative frequency of her visits and the lack of past problems with the account).

So, the upshot is that a woman who generally does not carry much cash--and shouldn't--needs to do so because there is no reason to expect her checks to be accepted in the future either. To even speak with the company's reps I had to confirm all names on the check, address, phone, last four digits of the bank account, numbers printed on the receipt when the check was declined--but this was not enough for Jen to assure us that the future treatment would be based on something more than an arbitrary process. We don't need to use Giant or TeleCheck. It appears that is okay with TeleCheck.

Telecheck has been started to decline our checks all of a sudden! After 26 years and a 6 figure balance, they have been declining checks, even with low dollar amounts, and when I spoke with them, they said "we don't have enough info about your company" and there is "nothing that can be done". We have been in business over 26 years and NEVER had this problem before now have we EVER had a check bounce to anyone! SOOOO frustrating!

I have had two bad experiences with Telecheck. Yesterday they denied a check because they "did not have enough information." I maintain a checking account that has a minimum 5 digit balance, yet they denied a $300 check. What made matters worse is this occurred at an emergency veterinary office at around midnight. You do not get to speak to a person. You only get to listen to their voice data telling you they cannot approve your check because they "did not have enough information." Businesses that do business with Telecheck will now not receive any purchases from me. Readers should consider telling store managers there are other more reputable sources for verifying checks and they should stop doing business with Telecheck. This is the only way we as consumers can stop this very fraudulent business practice by a company that purports to "protect businesses" from fraud.

Telecheck rejected a $79 check at Best Buy with an account that has more than 10K. Customer service rep refused to allow me to speak with supervisor. Bank puts issue on Best Buy & Telecheck. Best Buy blames the bank. Best Buy has lost a customer for life.

Had instances where Telecheck declined my checks. Never had these experiences over 20 years of check writing. My funds are way more than sufficient for my purchases. One instance I was purchasing a computer for my granddaughter and got denied because they said I have no record of check writing at OfficeMax and yet for a large amount at that. Give me a break, how often would I buy a computer and they're not cheap, duh. Luckily I had the cash to pay for it or my granddaughter would be so disappointed! The cash I had was to be used for other places that don't accept checks such as gas stations, farmer's markets or even places to eat. Then Telecheck tells me I am writing more than usual amounts of checks so they declined me once again at Walmart.

My husband since has retired and set up a direct deposit of his retirement into our checking account. Had to explain to Telecheck that's the reason for more frequent check writing. And then tells me to not write another check for at least a week because my check writing is being monitored. Well then yesterday, which was well over a week, I wrote a check at the grocery store which I have been doing so for over 20 years declined my check once again. The reason they said is the store updated their system and have no records of my accounts in the new system. Telecheck is losing money for businesses. Telecheck is making consumers frustrated, embarrassed and also losing money for the businesses they suppose to be protecting. All I can say is, "Lose Money".

I went to Walmart to buy some food to make a good dinner for my girlfriend, I wrote a check, tore it and handed it to the cashier and it comes back as declined. I knew it had to have been a mistake because I definitely had over $500 in that account but after running it a second time, the same result was achieved. The cashier handed me the printout and told me I could call Telecheck and figure it out from there, she was very kind and kept the entire thing very discreet.

I went to call the company and had to go through a 10 minute automated menu system where I was asked to put in the information about my check TWICE, then provide my zip code before I was transferred to someone in India who took over from there. I was asked a lot of personal information to "verify" my account identity, this included my name, address, phone number and social security number. Then I was placed on hold for a few minutes before my call was disconnected.

I called back again, thinking that it was just a mistake and I went through the whole process all over again, just to get disconnected AGAIN! So I called a third time, I finally had a good connection and she said she would need to call my bank and conference the call to verify information. After being put on hold for the third time she comes back on the line and told me that I needed to call during banking hours... *facepalm*. I told her that I had called during banking hours but by the time I was able to get a good connection, my bank was closed, all she was able to say was "Sorry, but you need to call during banking hours." And that was the extent of it.

Something that could have taken 15 minutes with a good connection turned into an hour and a half back and forth with these people trying to get a check that was written for less than $50 to get approved, which never happened. They said that they needed more information about me and my account, whatever happened to just asking for an ID? My ID IS my information and I already don't really like having to show my papers to someone just pay for something in the first place, now you need my address, phone number, zip code and social security number? This is ludicrous and as soon as my new Debit card comes in the mail I will not be writing anymore checks to any Telecheck using companies, it's just a pain in the ass.

Suggestion for everyone getting denied by Telecheck: Here is my form of protest. I will be going to every store, fill up my cart and I will attempt to purchase by check. When it is declined, I will simply walk out of the store and leave the cart there. I'll be sure to put frozen foods and perishable products in the cart that will go to waste. I can only hope that if this happens enough to enough grocery stores and they start to incur a cost due to Telecheck declining checks, then perhaps they will rethink their reliance on Telecheck.

I guess the question is whether Lowe's Food and Food Lion would rather take a chance on my check clearing or having to quickly return everything to the freezer and cooler and/or throw out the merchandise because it has been sitting out too long. After they lose enough money through wasted food and effort due to Telecheck's arbitrary and onerous approval process, perhaps the cost of having to use Telecheck will outweigh the cost associated with wasted products and staff effort resulting from Telecheck denials.

Yesterday, I attempted to use an ACH check through Amazon because I didn't want to "test the waters" in person at a local grocery store where my kids know half the cashiers. Predictably, it was declined. Called the 800 number and spent close to 2 hours where a supervisor said that on a scale of 1-20, I had an 18 before the NSF and now I was back at ZERO despite not owing any money. She said that she would manually set my rating to a 20 so that I should not encounter this problem again.

Felt pretty good about that so got cocky and went to Food Lion today and attempted to purchase 20 bucks worth of dog food and get 50 bucks cash back. Called (by now they are on speed dial) and had to deal with the same song and dance and accusatory tones and being told that I had to "rebuild" my history by making "smaller purchases"... Yesterday I was declined for an 8.00 purchase... How do you get smaller than that? Then they wanted to call my bank and verify that I had funds in my account. My bank won't do that. There was no amount of reasoning, arguing or anything I could do. I told them I thought this had been resolved... and on top of that I'm still out the amount of the original check that cleared.

Telecheck Company Profile