Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.02/5

698 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 14, 2019

There is no option to give zero stars, but that's what I would like to give this terrible card. I was given a $100 Vanilla gift card, and tried to use it at a spa, the card was declined so I ended up using my debit card. Later I went out to lunch, the bill was $45, and I tried to use the card, and the waitress could only take $30 from the card. Later in the day, knowing I should have $70 on the card I tried to purchase my daughter a dress. I could only take $4 from the card. Today I checked my balance. Sure enough the card started at $100. The Spa change went through---although the Spa told me the money didn't come to them. All in all a very pathetic card. DO NOT PURCHASE as a gift.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Bought one of these cards yesterday and everything was fine. Used it a few times and still had a $50 balance. Tried to use it today and it said I needed to call customer service. Someone reported my card as lost and now I'm out my $50 and I can't get it back! It was a brand new card so wow was it lost by someone??? The person on the phone was no help and kept repeating that my account was closed. So now the other person has my money.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I had received this Vanilla Prepaid Visa Card as a gift. It was purchased at Walgreens. Since I had the card and did not use it right away, I contacted customer service to find out how to activate my card. The first customer service representative I spoke with told me that the amount on the card of $35 was no longer available because fees were applied each month I did not use it, and the total amount was gone with these fees. I was stunned because I have had other Visa gift cards that have never had fees applied.

When I asked to speak with a supervisor, the representative said that the supervisor would not be able to do anything. I still insisted on waiting to speak with a supervisor. I waited on hold for a while before speaking with “Alexander” the supervisor. He kept telling me that due to the “cardholder” agreement they could do nothing to refund the amount that was on the card. I found that hard to believe, so I asked to speak to his supervisor even when I found out that they were located in Southeast Asia. Most likely in India.

I was told again that the next supervisor would not be able to do anything. I still insisted on speaking to him or her. After a while, “Alexander” (most likely not even his real name) told me that his supervisor was still on a call, could I give him the best number for the supervisor to contact me at, and that I would get a call back. Needless to say it is two days later, and I never got a call back. This seems like theft to me and a big scam. I HIGHLY recommend that NO ONE purchase this card!!!!

Original review: July 10, 2019

Bought two Vanilla Prepaid Mastercards from Walmart.com, went to their website to check balance and said zero balance and cards have expired and never used it. Please stay away from the name Vanilla Prepaid gift cards of Any kind, please. I’m warning you. It’s all a Scam Scam. People please keep your receipts if you want your Money back. It will take up to 90 days if you send in all your info, from driver's license copy of front and back of the fake cards and your receipt. If you don’t have your receipt don’t expect a refund. Also put in a complaint with BBB. I also told Walmart.com about it and they did check into for me. Vanilla want to discourage people from filing a dispute. Again stay away from these cards.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I received a Vanilla Visa prepaid gift card as a gift. It does not work at all. It does not even allow me the option to see the balance. I called the number on the card. I was told to email them a copy of my driver's license, a picture of the card, and the receipt. Of course I don’t have the receipt as it is a gift, so I emailed them a picture of my driver's license and a picture of the gift card. This was months ago, and I have not received a response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: July 9, 2019

Purchased a $250.00 gift card from Walgreens for my son's upcoming birthday. Purchased on 06/27/2019. Son's birthday is 07/03/2019 so we decided to use it on that special day for him and placed an order at Amazon.com. Got an email from Amazon the card was declined. Then we called the Vanilla company to find out what's going on. We were told the card has a zero balance and was used to purchase Delta airline tickets. I explained, "We just tried to use it for the first time. How can this happen?" They said, "We need all your information so we can send you an email which will contain a form to fill out for fraud in order to get money back." They also state, "You will get an email in 24 hours." At that point I made them read back my email to verify they have a correct email address.

After 2 days pass still no email. Yes the mail was not blocked by my provider and yes checked all spam very carefully nothing. I call back the 3rd day they said, "Sorry it looks like they wrote down wrong email." Once again verified email they repeat it back correct. Waited again another 24 hours. Wait 2 days still no email. Call again. They are laughing at me on the phone. I can hear them all in the background saying, "Cool we got another one here." What is that supposed to mean? Once again this time they said, "We will have to re-send it." I asked what email they have. They repeat the wrong email. Once again I clarify the correct one and have them verify it. Waited. Still don't have a claim form sent to me.

After days of research I find I am not alone. Thousands are in the same boat. So after all this time this company is still selling these cards they know are already used or hacked. I was sold a used or hacked card. Who knows if this company is even legit. Now after giving them all my information they asked for I have been stuck with multiple problems. I never got a claim form as of yet and now it looks like they used and sold my information they asked me for in order to file a claim form I still don't have. Since I gave them my information I am being called and emailed with tons of spam robocalls etc... I want my money back and I want it now. Please stay far far away from this bogus company. You are better off giving cash to a loved one as a present.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Loaded $300 on my prepaid Vanilla Visa card on 07/06/2019. Checked my account 07/07/2019 and had a zero balance. Some genius thought it’d would be funny to hack my card and steal all of my money. Vanilla Manila said I can dispute the fraudulent transactions but it would take up to 90 days. So whoever used my card online at 9:42 pm ((which is bs because I had my card with me the entire day in my wallet)) and bought something from Color Pop in CA can say, "Oh it’s valid." and get away with it.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Lesson learned! Had I known all the fees associated with this card I would of never purchased. The main purpose is to have the ability to buy online or make transactions where you can’t use cash. The loading fee is reasonable but every time you swipe the card it charges you .95 cent. I was not aware of the fee until I saw and called the customer service and listened to the fees associated with the card. Once my balance is gone I will not be using this card again.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Gave my son a $50.00 birthday gift card only to find it was invalid and had expired. I purchased the card on June 3 2019. His birthday was on June 25 2019. It had an expiration date of June 28. This is ridiculous. I plan to report this embarrassing situation to not only Walmart but to the FTC. When I tried to call Vanilla I was put on hold for at least an hour and finally just hung up. Please people do not purchase any gift cards from Vanilla. What a scam.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I used the Vanilla card website to double check the transactions on the account. I received a message that stated “504 error”, I attempted a second time on the website and received the same message. I then used the contact phone number and checked the balance. I went to Walmart in my area the next day (less than 12 hours later) and attempted to purchase items for a client and was told that there was only $6.85 on the card. I immediately called customer service and was advised that there was an online purchase at Nordstrom that could not be challenged unless a dispute was made. This charge was NOT authorized and was not done by myself or anyone associated with my program. This card was purchased to be used in remote areas for clients in need of domestic violence supportive services. I still have not heard back after I filed the necessary paperwork.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information