1.10/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

623 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was given a Vanilla Visa gift card as a thank you. I have had it for 2 months and just tried activating it. It was a $25 card and when activated there was $4.95 remaining out of the $25. How can this happen when it hasn't been used. They take monthly fees out. One would think this shouldn't happen until the card is activate. I would not recommend this company to anyone. What a rip off. I will be putting the word around so that others don't get caught out like me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Vanilla Gift card didn't work. They used the "not activated correctly" scam, when I called. The customer service is customer fatigue, distract and finally ignore. They were absolutely NO help: No refund. No new card. No gift purchases. $40 bucks more for the sinister Vanilla prepaid card mafia! Avoid like the horrible company they are.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Purchased card at Wal-mart for $4.95 added $200.00. Tried to make a purchase for $36.19 online and was denied because billing and shipping address were not the same. The next morning starting at 9:52 am three charges were made for a total of $195.32 draining my balance to $4.68. Called OneVanilla. They said it would take 90 days and I was better off going through PayPal as the charges were through them. PayPal agreed to reverse the charges but I would need to request a new card because a hold was put on it. OneVanilla said I cannot get a new card until the money is put back... Today I went check the balance to see if the money was back...invalid card number... DO NOT BUY ONEVANILLA debit card. Total scam!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

My experience has been terrible. £50 purchased on a Vanilla card in July 18. Unfortunately nothing was loaded and I've been fighting with them for 6 months for a refund. I have sent pictures of the card and the receipt as requested. They manage to wriggle out of every corner I back them into with the most recent reply being that the receipt I have is not connected to the Vanilla card I have with a zero balance which clearly states £50 Vanilla card. Very frustrated and angry. PLEASE be careful and make sure the card is loaded at the retailer you buy from but you won't know really until you go to use the card. Terrible customer services with people that clearly don't give a damn.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

It's a game. I go online with all the info I should need to check the balance and "somehow" they can't tell me. They direct me to call the number on the back and get jerked around some more. I turn the card over and I CANNOT SEE the phone number without a magnifying glass (not exaggerating). So I'm beyond skeptical with Target and VISA. I suspect they are hoping I lose the card and then, THEY WIN?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My Vanilla gift cards were not activated correctly and Walgreens will not accept responsibility and blamed Vanilla Visa, and Vanilla said it's Walgreens cashier's fault it didn’t activate accurately. I have opened cases with both Vanilla and Walgreens to try and correct this error. While my money sits in a system cloud or stolen. This has been a exhausting experience and I will never buy another Vanilla GC again. A scam/system error has occurred somewhere and can’t wait until this is resolved, if ever!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

My daughter a $25 gift for her birthday. When went to use it at a store, we learned that the balance was gone. I immediately called customer service and they told me that it was used for iTunes purchase. They immediately sent me a form to complete and send back to them. I complied. They said that I should give them 90 days to complete the investigation. I waited four months and called. The person who answered the phone claimed that they had actually sent me a replacement card within one month after I submitted the form. He then made me wait and wait online claiming that he was asking his superiors and finally, after over an hour waiting, that they have issued a new card. He told me that it should arrive within 10 business days.

I waited a month and called again. This time, a lady answered and said again, they had sent the card. Then, she said that I will receive a new card soon. Nothing came up in the mails yet. How can these be trusted? Okay, in my case, the money is really small but how is it possible to trust this company and use their cards? I am angry that they cheated me three times, spend my time over the phone, and do not seem to care to honour their words. Very sad!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

They have extremely high fees and want one's SSN and DL number for a PREPAID card. They don't need it -- it is abuse of customers and a huge security concern in case they are hacked which is very possible.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

This is the worst customer service ever!!! They advertise you can use this online wherever Visa is accepted. Then when 90% of places decline the card the company says they can't force any merchant to accept the card. Your money will be stuck on a card you can only use to buy fast food. It's a pointless card with a more pointless team of customer service people.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

My grandson died October 10, 2018. I clearly explain this on every call. My job purchased me a gift card to help with funeral expenses. The night after the funeral I lost the card. I called banks the same night. Sent them all requested documentation. They said the gift receipt and original packaging was not sufficient. I then went to the location where purchased and got a copy of the original receipt. I sent that in asking with proof of address, ID, DOB... everything as requested. It's now December 8, 2018 still no replacement card or headstone for my grandson. Every time I speak with someone I get a different story and this is supposedly the second card marked to me that I have NOT received. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I purchased a $200 Vanilla gift card and it is still not activated. I did everything they asked me to do through emails with proof of purchase, photos of driver's license, front and back of the gift card and they still have not activated this card but now say I'm going to have to be patient... I'm sorry - almost 2 months I have been patient. Terrible company, terrible customer service. They keep giving me the runaround. You talk to somebody different every time and they give you different information. Very inconsistent. Poor training. Walmart should be ashamed to have them on their website

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I could not register the card online. It took a hour to register the card on the phone. I only used it once then I got denied the 2nd try. When I called customer service I was told my PIN and birthday was not correct. That I need to email a copy of my driver's license. It would also take a couple of days for the process to go through before I can use the card again. I was not comfortable with that at all. Especially when she could not tell me what the subject should be on the email. It took several times before she could give me a solid answer. Not to mention the email does not match the company in any way. I didn't do it and called the next day.

The next person I spoke with said that I need to send a copy of my driver's license, my social security card and a utility bill. Also told me that whoever I spoke with the night before gave me the wrong information. I only bought this card to buy my wife a gift for Christmas and it not show up on the account. I refuse to send this kind of info on a prepaid card nor do I feel comfortable doing it. It sucks I will rather take this as a loss before I send out this type of info over $200.00. I really wished I looked this card up before I wasted my money. My major credit cards have never asked me to send this type of documents in any way. Guess they got me good. Lesson learned.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I too received a VISA Vanilla Prepaid eReward for a large sum of money as a wellness program bonus from my spouse's employer. Just as someone else described, I selected this option over others because believed it lended more flexibility. It did not. Major retailers have declined me over the phone (Target) and local small businesses in person. In addition, it is unusable online if the order amount exceeds the ecard amount since you must process it as a credit/debit card. There are issues all around with this product. I notified a Vanilla Customer Support Representative because we have three of these eRewards and all she told me was she was sorry and that she hopes more merchants accept it in the future.

In essence, we were "stuck" with them and hoped to be able to use them. Extremely frustrated and disappointed. The solution we found was to go online and find a merchant who would allow us to purchase a store brand gift card with the prepaid card for the exact amount of the available balance. We have also loaded one to PayPal. In this case, I do worry, however, that when funds fall below the full amount of your purchase, the order will kick out and cancel leaving small amounts of unusable money on the ecard.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Although this card states that it is accepted where VISA is accepted is a lie. I received $150 gift card. I planned on spending some of it at Kohl's Black Friday sale online. I attempted several times to pay and I kept getting an error message. I contacted Kohl's directly because I thought it was something wrong with the website. They too could not get it to process. So then I contacted Vanilla Visa only to be informed that Kohl's is one of the retailers that they block you from using online, however it can be used in the store. So basically the statement accepted anywhere VISA is accepted is FALSE. I was told if I send the receipt along with the card I would receive a refund. Yeah okay how do I tell the person who gave me the card that. I don't know maybe a class action lawsuit can be filed for false advertisement, paying the activation fees and then not being able to use it properly.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I purchased a $200 card on September 25, 2018, for my granddaughter's birthday. Card was lost in the mail; never used; balance unused. I have called "customer service" multiple times since October 2, 2018. I got a case number. I faxed and emailed receipt of purchase and proof of address. Many times I was told that the fax and emails were not received, even though I had proof. Then, a month later, I was told that the fax and emails had been received. I was told that a replacement card had been mailed, which I would receive in 5-10 days. I have not received it on November 8, 2018. The most irritating aspect of trying to deal with "customer service" has been that, whenever I call, I am told that the previous "customer representative" entered in my case was different from what I had been told. Do not purchase a One Vanilla card. God knows I never will again.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I was given a $100 Vanilla Gift card from my dad for my birthday. Within a week of receiving it, someone from FL (I live in TX) stole the info and used it to pay their utility bill, but I didn't know about it until a couple of months later because I hadn't used it yet. Once I figured out it was stolen I immediately called and tried disputing it. For some reason I wasn't receiving the form and after 2 months I FINALLY received it. About 2 weeks later I received a letter in the mail saying that there was nothing they could do because I didn't file the dispute within 2 months of it being stolen, even though I didn't know it was stolen until after. Everyone I talked to was super sweet and helpful except the supervisor. She was rude and could care less that my dad’s hard earned money was stolen and just kept saying they weren't going to help me. DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR CARDS!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Do not buy Vanilla credit card! I put $480 in it because my bank is 4 hours away from me and I need to come up with money to pay my loan to bank. I gave info to my bank and he came back said denied I tried use for $5 on Starbucks it worked fine, told him try charge $5 on loan bill he said denied. I told him, "Don't worry. I will go to Walmart and issue money order off that prepaid visa..." The lady at money center told me denied. Won't let me issue money order. I found out Vanilla won't let you pay your bills as long as it's not from the bank. My loan bill is from bank and it will denied my Vanilla prepaid card. I'm stuck with $480.

Decide to go and buy PlayStation 4 bundle and wait few hours, went back and return for refund... Want guess? Money go back to stupid Vanilla prepaid card. It won't give me cash... I screw it up and now the bank is going to mark my credit for late payment... Thank you Vanilla prepaid for not tell us what we can use and what we can't use!!! They need to put up crystal clear lists what we can use with this card and what we can't use with this card!!! My bank loan agent was shocked. It's not their fault and not my fault either because we all thought it going to work it out but it is not!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

I received a Vanilla Prepaid Card for a significant amount of money as a reward from my employer's wellness program. I selected the Vanilla card over a store-specific gift card because I thought I would have more flexibility with where to use it. I was wrong. I tried to use it at several different retailers both over the phone and online and was declined multiple times. When I called Vanilla customer support to inquire why the card was being declined she said that those specific retailers block their card and gave me no remedy for actually using the card. I finally realized it could be loaded onto my Paypal account. I haven't tried using it this way yet but I don't have high hopes. At this point I feel like this card is as good as Monopoly money.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I purchase a One Vanilla prepaid card and load $175 on it, before I can even use the card someone else used the card and is claiming ownership of the card. I called the merchant who was kind enough to refund back my $175, but now One Vanilla has put an hold on the card and all my money. I sent them my receipt, packaging front and back of the card and my driver license. They still would not release my funds. I think this whole thing is a scam. People buy the cards load money. Someone use the money and then they hold your money hostage and make you send the paperwork, little did they know as they are recording all their call so am I.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I wanted to share my experience with everyone here. I started buying cards several years ago from this company and I have never had problems with the cards. If you're getting a card by mail you will need to provide them with an SSN which is required by law. I never have to give any information to setup my cards because I buy the Vanilla Gift Master Cards or known has One Vanilla Gift Card which you don't need to activate. There's several types of cards you can get on the market. Vanilla Gift Cards or One Vanilla Gift Cards you will not need to setup with any information. Cards by mail, you will need to provide information such as ID, SSN and Address.

My experience from this company? I love it! I never had problems with the card company other than a 1 hour wait for the card to fully activate. You see other people here complaining about their cards. You should always treat your cards like cash and keep them inside your wallet. That's the problem that they're facing. Someone had spent the money on their cards or used an unsecured website to look at there balance. That's their fault. I have never had a problem and never had to call customer service for any problems. INCOMM just does not take your funds and they don't charge a monthly fee. Once your funds are loaded you keep your funds until you spend those funds.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I have yet to be logged in to this card. The phone recording says the exp. date is invalid. Not true. When I log in and type the characters over and over again (that I can BARELY see, it continually comes back with the statement: "Characters do not match the image below." Not true. This card SUCKS!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I received 2 prepaid cards as a gift to find out one of the cards was not activated properly. I called the customer care team and they fixed the card that was not working to find out the other card is now not working??? So upset that I have to keep calling them and they are not very helpful. I will never buy a visa Vanilla prepaid card again.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I purchased a MyVanilla prepaid card on 9-22-2018 and was told at register after I loaded $230 onto it would be immediately available for use. I went outside tried to activate the card and it keeps declining due to identity verify. I tried to return it right away within 10 min of purchase without even leaving their parking lot on 9-22-2018 as I couldn’t use it and was denied due to it being a prepaid card. I called MyVanilla card the same day. Set up a pin and gave my information. They said they couldn’t verify all. I would need to email them color copies of my ID, front + back of the prepaid card and copy of the receipt before would be activated to InComms email they gave me. I sent in the documents as they requested on 9-22-2018.

When I call them today 9-23-2018 to see if it has been completed I’m told they want color copy of my social security card now emailed to them. I don’t feel comfortable emailing them all my personal information they are now requesting I shouldn’t have to provide. I’ve already provided my state issued identification and proof of address and purchase of the card. I simply asked to get a refund sent to my address shown on my Id with the receipts and proof of card purchase. They are denying me access to my funds which I have proved are mine and have receipts for everything. This is not fair for them to take my money and hold it hostage while failing to give me reasonable option to release. I want my money returned to me. Stay away from this place unless you want to get robbed!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I got a $500 debit card for Christmas, and have been using it a little here and there. Today at lunch time, I checked my balance on your Vanilla website, and when I hit the "sign in" button to check balance, it displayed what looked to be scribbled letters. I tried it again, and the same thing. I signed in to the website just below with the same process. It let me in, and said I had $112.80 left. Great... When I got to work, I went into my eBay account to make a purchase of $96.00 and would not accept it. Impossible!! I just checked it less than two hours ago. I checked my balance on the website I knew worked, and it said my balance was ZERO!!! Somebody had taken my $112.80, and there was no way to contact the company, phone number or email. What a rip off, and nobody gives a rip because they already have been paid at the purchase date. I would not recommend that anyone buys this rip off. Get cash next time,

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Your site is a hazard to the security of any user who checks the balance of their card. Highly recommend some external pen testing to be contracted, too many cases of card details being stolen after checking the balance on your site. I hope someone starts legal action against you in the hopes you get your heads out of your behinds and look into these reports. Perhaps an internal audit is needed?! You obviously care more about the sale of the cards, versus the experience and security of the user. Plus your support is a joke, 90 days for a fraud review, goodness. Must happen so often you have a large backlog. Please for the well being of your customers and your business increase the security of your website and cards.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

So I HAD Vanilla cards between my wife and I. We decided to go this route versus the traditional bank route, big ** mistake! These people are thieves and cannot and will not explain their actions! I enrolled in direct deposit for my work check and their big thing is “you’ll get paid up to two days faster.” NOT ONCE did I ever receive my pay before Friday, the regular scheduled day. And not only that one week it didn’t arrive until 9:00 A.M. on Friday so don’t believe that line of **! After three weeks of direct deposit I logged into my account and noticed that the status of my card said spend down instead of saying active!

After an hour and a half on the phone with nothing but complete idiots they go on to tell me that my card had been shut down because the user agreement had been violated, yet NOBODY has ever been able to tell me how it was broken!!! Pretty convenient that this particular card hadn’t been used any different than any of the others yet the only one with direct deposit is shut down!!! Coincidence, no I think not! It’s not a coincidence that they have a one star rating and this has happened to this many people! They need shut down, they’re thieves and messing with people's livelihood and money!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Do not purchase Vanilla Cards visa gift card are a scam and customer service is poor!!!! If I could give an evaluation with a black star I will give it but this option does not exist!!! I received a "Vanilla gift card" on September 6, 2018. On September 11 I went to Marshall (8661 Colesville Rd, City Place Mall, Silver Spring, MD 20910) to pay for a purchase. The cashier opened my "GIFT CARD VANILLA" but I could not pay with it because the transaction was declined. To check if I had done well, I returned home and checked the website of Vanilla Gift; Also call the consumer attention line to listen to the instructions. On September 15 I returned to the same Marshall store, to try to pay with that card and again the transaction was declined.

I call the number 1-800-571-1376 again and they tell me that the card has not been activated and that to investigate the reason why it has not been activated I must send a copy of my card on both sides, a copy of my ID and copy of the purchase receipt. I can understand that the company asks me for a proof of purchase but as a person who received as a gift the card VANILLA VISA GIFT CARD seems absurd to me!!!! There should be a way in the company so that representatives can give a satisfactory service to consumers that is not this!!!! My perception of what has happened is that it is the VANILLA VISA card GIFT CARD is a SCAM.

For me it does not make any sense to try to call back the person who gave the gift to know if he still keeps the receipt of purchase of the card, much less to ask him to go to the establishment where the purchase was made to obtain a copy of the receipt of said purchase. HAS NO SENSE. The representatives were professionals but what makes no sense is that the company puts them to provide such a poor service! DO NOT BUY CARDS "VANILLA VISA GIFT CARD".

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Purchased card on 7-11-18 for 250.00. Used card one time at airport. Card was hacked Immediately. Called Vanilla One Visa gift card to report it. Talked to customer service rep. It's been 45 days and still can't get my money back. People! Listen up! Don't purchase this card - unreliable, not secured card, bad news! Purchase the American Express cards - secured and dependable. If your card is compromised American Express will refund your money Immediately! Still trying to get my money back from Vanilla One Visa gift card!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Card was used for motel reservations and to pay bill. When trying to pay bill Vanilla they have slapped a 30-day hold on funds, $300, and no amount of talking to their supervisors will get them to release the money. Don’t use Vanilla.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

SCAMMERS. I got a call yesterday from "Publishers Clearing House". He said, that I had won 5 Million dollars and a brand new Mercedes Benz. I asked him, "Was this a scam," and he said, "NO Mam...You are a Big Winner, and we will fly to your city and present you with a certified check for $5 Million and a new car tomorrow at 11.30, and the tv station will be there also unless you prefer it to be private." Then I asked him, "What's the catch?" He said, "No catch... but you have to go to Walmart or CVS and buy a "One Vanilla" card and put $150 on it, and call me back to confirm that you have it, and then we will make arrangements to fly to your city tomorrow to present you with your grand prize." Well, I googled "One Vanilla Card" and read the reviews, and all of them were bad. People said how it is a scam... and DO NOT Buy a One Vanilla gift card!

I called the Attorney General's Office and the lady called me back today and I gave her the phone numbers they had called from as well as the number I was supposed to have called, once I bought the gift card with $150 on it, and she checked and said it was a Jamaica Number, and a SCAM. I asked if I could prosecute them, and because they are out of the country she said No. But to warn my friends not to fall for these scams. One Vanilla Cards, also are scams, so please don't buy them, as you will lose your money. The things people do to steal... amazes me. But I am not gonna fall for something like this. Publishers Clearing House (The Real One) does not ask you to do anything if you are a chosen winner. So please be careful.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information