1.06/5

649 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

The card expires on March 22, but we just checked the balance and $2.50 has been taken off the balance for the past 8 months! I've just seen the tiny mouse type on the back of the card which does say $2.50/month will be deducted from the balance after the first seven months from issue. It's so small, it's literally barely legible. Why do they take money from the balance? This is daylight robbery. I would NOT buy this card again.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I got a Vanilla gift card for Google Play. Now it's saying I cannot use the card for 24 hours. I called the 1-800 number. Talked to a lady. After our conversation she said my card was ready to be used. I tried the card after I got off the phone. It came up as error again. I called back and now this other lady says I have to wait 24 hours. This is crap. I will never buy another Vanilla card again

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I agree totally with Amanda from Australia. I also am from Australia and had a carbon copy experience with Vanilla Visa Gift Cards. Am advising all I know NOT TO BUY these gift cards. They charge YOU $2.50 per month for looking after YOUR money. How do you figure that one out. Someone is lining their very deep pockets. Shame, they have given other gift card companies a bad reputation.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

These cards are designed to rob customers of their money. Don't waste time and money, buy gift cards from accredited banks, like TD Bank, Bank of America, Amazon, etc. My Son Got this card as a gift, He decided to save it and use accumulated cards and money for a cellphone. Guess what? If you don't use the card, they will charge you an "inactivity" fee of 4 dollars and 20 cents. At the end, you will have zero dollars on the card if you try to save it... Customer service rep only can say "that's the way it is". I wonder when a major lawsuit against fraudulent business practices will start against whoever this so-called company belongs to! Plus, the Rep told me they also charge 50 cents every time you use the card... Really?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My son bought me a $50 AUD Vanilla gift card last year. It has an expiry date on the front of 3/22. I have been trying to spend the $50 for the past few months but card wouldn't work. I rang them to find that after 7 months a $2.50 per month service fee is charged. For what I don't know. I advised that the small print was so small that I could not read it and was told they would not thing the fees. I asked to be put through to a supervisor and the guy with an American accent hung up on me. This is disgraceful. I have never known of a gift card reducing in value from service fees being taken out. And you have to pay $5 for the pleasure of buying the card. What a way to treat a senior citizen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Resolution response: Feb. 6, 2019

As I said I would do, on my review dated 28 Jan 2019 here is an update. After many hours of discussions & e-mails to the Fraud Dept. Vanilla has re-issued me with a new 100.00 prepaid card. I would recommend, if you have issues, to stay persistent and respond as best as you can to their requests. Although it may seem never ending, a satisfactory result can be achieved. I have activated my new card, and it appears to be approved. Note: I haven't actually used it yet, but it should be fine, if not, will advise.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Purchase a 100.00 dollar gift card for daughter for Christmas from Walmart Canada. Daughter went to use the card and it declined. Contacted Vanilla Fraud Dept and advised them to search balance on card number. Vanilla reported there was no balance and card not valid. They requested a photocopy of card with all card numbers, plus my DOB & mailing address & receipt which I promptly submitted. Said it would take 7 to 10 business days to complete investigation. Going on 3 weeks, still no resolution.

After reading all the negative reviews, I am beginning to believe this company has a lot of internal problems. I just sent my last correspondence to them, I doubt that there will be any progress made as they have their hands full with never ending complaints. I will give them 2 more days to rectify this issue, then contact Mastercard Head Office in Toronto. I would think Mastercard might have an opinion, considering this company is using the Mastercard Brand. Will update.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Received a gift card at Christmas, first try card was declined. Went on website to check balance but server was down. Tried a couple days later and server still down. Went to search company then found this website about all complaints. Sad, gifter and receiver both lose.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

50$ gift card had $13 in fees - I was given a $50 gift card as a gift from my son. He paid $55 in store. Used the card in a spa. The bill was $40. Was charged $48. Called Vanilla. They said if you use the card for a service such as haircut, spa, doctor, etc. there is a 20% additional fee by Vanilla. I said, "There is nothing on the card or accompanied literature stating this." The Customer Care person said "that's the way it is." Another way to say it is "Too bad, we got you."

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Bought OneVanilla gift card $100 for son for Christmas. He never got it. I called 5 days later, holidays' so wanted to make sure it was lost. I had to provide a copy of receipt, proof of address. I did. Took several emails and phone calls for them to finally tell me "We located your card and it has a zero balance so we cannot refund you anything." WHAT. Well no kidding! It was stolen! NEVER EVER EVER BUY THIS COMPANY'S CARD.

Resolution response: Jan. 18, 2019

So, I called and made them put on a supervisor. They made it good and sent me 2 new cards. Wow!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I purchased 2 OneVanilla cards for $175 each (total $550). The cards are useless saying zero money on them. I have been talking to OneVanilla for over 60 days. They just keep lying and at this point they are not returning my phone calls. Cards were purchased from Walgreens who also refuses to help. Shame on Walgreens for selling bogus cards!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Do not purchase one of these. I have bought dozens of Vanilla Visa gift cards over the last several years. I send them to my kids who live out of state for birthdays and special occasions. I have bought them in increments of $100 to $500. I never had a problem until November 11, 2018. I purchased a $100 Vanilla Visa gift card and mailed it to my daughter. The card was lost in the mail. I called customer service on Nov. 11 to inform them. They looked up the card via the serial number that I had on my proof of purchase receipt.

They told me the card had not been used and therefore they would issue a replacement card. They said I needed to send them the proof of purchase along with a current copy of my vehicle registration to prove my name and address were accurate. I was told I would hear back from someone within 2 business days. I never heard back. I called 8 days later and was told that a replacement was not issued because my vehicle registration was more than 6 months old (who's isn't?).

I was told I needed to send a copy of a utility bill and wait another 3-5 business days to hear back. I sent the copy, and again, never heard back. I called again on Nov 28th, and was assured they received the proof they needed and that a new card had been sent. On December 11th, I still had not gotten the card. I called again and was told they were not sure what was happening but that they were sending a card immediately and having the process expedited but I should have the replacement in 7 to 10 days.

By December 29th, I still had not received the card. I called, YET AGAIN to be told that they didn't know why I had not gotten the card and that they were voiding the one they sent and issuing a new one that should get to me within 7 to 10 days... (again). On Jan 7th the card finally came in the mail. I attempted to activate it via their website and it did not activate. I instead tried to call and no luck with activating the card.

I called customer service again and was told that their systems were down and that is why the card would not activate. I was told to call back within a few hours and the issue would be resolved. I called back, entered the info and was given confirmation of activation via the recorded message. The following day, I took my daughter for a pedicure and attempted to use the card. IT WAS DECLINED!!! I called again (Jan. 8th) and was told that because their system was having issues, my card balance was showing as zero.

I was assured it would be completely resolved in 24-48 hours. Today is JANUARY 11, 2019. Two full months later and Vanilla Visa still has $100 of my money and I have nothing to show for it but an invalid gift card with a zero balance and more empty promises from another phone call today. This is ridiculous. I have spent far too much of my time having to call this company to try and get what I paid for. I have spoken with at least 5 supervisors and no one has gotten anything accomplished. They say they can't communicate directly with the card issuer so they have been sending emails. They said I cannot call or talk directly to the card issuer either. I don't understand how a company can get away with stealing people's money like this. I will never do business with them again and suggest you don't either.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My husband has received a few Vanilla VISA gift cards from his boss over the past couple of years at Christmas time. We don't seem to have any difficulty using the cards (which are usually $100.00) for an initial purchase but heaven forbid you leave a balance. We have 2 cards with a bit over $30.00 on them, another 2 with just a couple of dollars. We know the exact amounts left on the cards and have attempted to use them at hair salon, restaurant, liquor store and Walmart (that I can recall). NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW HOW TO USE THESE CARDS AND USE THE REMAINING BALANCE!!!!

I get so frustrated - and I am starting to believe this is going to be throwing money away and VANILLA bank or whatever the heck it is, just keeps all the leftover money because it appears to be impossible to process leftover balances in any type of retail situation. I would suggest never giving out VISA gift cards of any kind and if you do receive one, ensure you use the total balance on first use!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I was given a OneVanilla gift card for $300. The card was in a sealed package so nothing on the card could be seen. I registered the card with OneVanilla putting all the information on their database - card #, expiration date and security code. I had the card for 1 week and used it at the supermarket where expiration date and security code is not given. When I went online a week later my card only had a 12 cent balance. Someone used my card to purchase something at Nordstrom for a $203 purchase. The store is in California and I am in Delaware. I did not make this purchase. The only place anyone could have gotten card information is from the OneVanilla database.

I've have been going around in circles with this company for 2 weeks. They kept saying I was to receive an email pack to process the information even though they opened a case number. I talked to 3 of their reps and was told they emailed the package to me - I never received it. I now sent them the information again in an attachment. I was supposed to receive an automated email saying they received my information - so far no email. I don't know where this is to go but my advice to everyone is DO NOT PURCHASE ANY TYPE OF CARD FROM THIS COMPANY. Either their database has been hacked and they do not want to admit it or they have internal people stealing card information and making purchases. You would think there would be someone for me to talk to to get this resolved. DO NOT BUY THEIR CARDS.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Multiple transactions on a $200 card cannot be processed. Target. Total Wine. Balance still $200, but I can't use it. Been on hold 17 minutes so far. This company must go bankrupt. I've checked the funds twice online and it says it is ready to use. But transactions cannot be processed.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I bought Vanilla visa gift cards 6x $500 = $3,000. Balance were checked once & kept away in safe deposit box that no one can see cards #. Few weeks later all money was missing. Someone that knows to break in vanilla visa system and could be internal. It's not my fault and vanilla visa has to take some responsibility. Vanilla visa treats customers like crap and make you wait 90 days of dispute when you pay for a product and you don't get anything. I made phone calls to merchants and call vanilla visa every week while vanilla it's taking their sweet time of 90 days. It's a scammy company. Customers come last to them. Vanilla visa gift cards are 99% unsafe.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We had one of regular clients try to use a $50 card at our salon. It declined multiple times, so I checked the balance online and the funds were there. Apparently they hold 20% of the balance if you are a service business so that the client is forced to tip 20%. We did not know this until we called them... Half an hour later finally spoke to someone. We could only approve the card for $40, but how would we know that? And why should they do this? I believe that they hope the balance stays on the card and the client never uses it. They were not helpful at all and they did not make sense when they tried to explain it. They make more money this way so why would they fix it? Don't ever buy this card for anyone!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have received $40 gift card for a birthday party. I went to use the card today on Walmart and it's declined. I came back and checked on Vanillaprepaid.com. Original value $40, Purchases: $0.00 and Credits: -$40. This card expires in 2026. I have called 1-800-571-1376. They said that their system is down and they don't know when it will be back. I have called VISA folks and they suggested to call financial institution which is Vanilla. I called them they didn't provide why it happened like this. PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS CARD.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I received a $25 gift card as a birthday present. The card expires in 2022. I went to use my card a few months after receiving it only to have it declined every single time! I today tried to check the account balance only to see I had $10.00 remaining on the card (of which I’ve never made a successful purchase). The money that was taken out was described as “account maintenance.” I called Vanilla to query this only to be told that after 7 months of not using the card I would be charged $2.50 per month for not using it. This is like purchasing a jumper and if the jumper hasn’t been worn, cutting a sleeve off each month until used. What a scam! I recommend no one purchases this product and makes everyone they know of, aware of this scam!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Followed the instructions on how to use the card. Declined at 2 different stores. Called 800 number; told the card was never activated and they needed personal info to activate. I felt uncomfortable having to give personal info to this bank to use a gift card already purchased. They said a case cannot be opened without the personal information. So the purchaser of this gift basically burned $25.00 plus the fee to purchase the card. This bank has cheated how many people out of the money from gift cards this way?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I was given a $100.00 Vanilla Prepaid Visa by my employer about a year ago. I finally decided to make use of it and gave it to my wife for a purchase. It was limited to a $20.00 value and upon checking the card at Vanillaprepaid.com Found this: Original Value $100.00. Purchases: $20.00. Total Credits: $0.00. Available Balance: $5.27. Sure would like to know where close to $75.00 went.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

My son purchased a Gift Card for me for Christmas. I went to use the card today and the full balance was drained earlier today. The purchase was made to an online Investment Account called Stockpile Investments. I called Vanilla and all they could say is they would investigate and contact Stockpile to confirm if it was a valid transaction. Well of course it's valid they stole my gift card number and used it online. They have the name, address and SSN of the thief. Why can't they do something about it? I have the card and the purchase receipt... Such a lousy way to do business. I asked what the chances are of recovering my stolen funds and all she do was laugh. I would caution anyone of ever using this gift card company, they don't protect the cards with PIN numbers either. You select the PIN with your first purchase, so anyone can steal these card numbers off a retail rack. DON"T PURCHASE THESE GIFT CARDS.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I was given a $25 Vanilla Visa giftcard by my daughter for my birthday, I went to check the balance before using it & found the balance was $7.50. Fees took the rest, reading the small print on the card after I found this info. THERE SHOULD BE A CLEAR WARNING ON THE FEES BEFORE PURCHASE.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Updated on 01/06/2019: I still did not receive my fraud packet. So I called again and customer service said they would note the file again and get me a packet asap (24 hrs). The looong TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY that is inside with the card and in my opinion should be on the outside but no one would buy this gift card if they were able to read before purchase...you have within 60 days to provide in writing details of the transaction you are questioning.

I noticed when I go online to check the card that the info magically disappeared. I did ask the customer service the name of the men’s store where the card was used at...Spandravy.com. I research the company and of course it doesn’t exist. So the fraudster and company are one in the same. So it sounds like their network is compromised since they were able to take the money before I registered the card and from looking at all of the postings this has been going on for a few years so it appears that Vanilla Visa doesn’t care to fix their security and make things right with the consumers.

Original Review: I had the same thing happened. I got this gift card for Christmas from my son who is in the Army. I checked the balance and it showed $100 on 12/25. The day he bought and gave it to me. 12/26 the money was gone. I didn't even register the card to assign a ZIP code & PIN and the money was taken. I was suppose to get some fraud packet by email to fill out... Still have not received anything.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I bought a $250 gift card for Christmas. The literal minute it was activated online it was stolen. Customer service has given us nothing but the runaround. I will continue to post this where ever I can in hopes of no one going through this again. This was a gift for a child. Save your money and your loved one's disappointment.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

A relative gave me a Vanilla gift card for my birthday and when I went to Target to use it, it was declined. I came home and checked online and it said there were no funds on the card. I called customer service and they told me to send them photos of the front and back of the card, my mailing address, email address, and barcodes, plus receipt. I send them everything except the receipt because the buyer didn't give me a receipt. Because I did not have the receipt, they denied my claim. Actually they said I could have stolen the card. They blamed or accused me of theft. Please do not ever buy a Vanilla gift card. Read all other reviews.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

The worst gift card I have ever had. They have the nerve to automatically hold out 20% if you eat in a restaurant. Do yourself a favor. Buy an American Express gift card so that you are not embarrassed by gifting this card to someone. You will regret buying this card. I couldn't even use it to buy my groceries online. It was not accepted as a payment method at Kroger's.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was given a Vanilla Visa gift card as a thank you. I have had it for 2 months and just tried activating it. It was a $25 card and when activated there was $4.95 remaining out of the $25. How can this happen when it hasn't been used. They take monthly fees out. One would think this shouldn't happen until the card is activate. I would not recommend this company to anyone. What a rip off. I will be putting the word around so that others don't get caught out like me.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Vanilla Gift card didn't work. They used the "not activated correctly" scam, when I called. The customer service is customer fatigue, distract and finally ignore. They were absolutely NO help: No refund. No new card. No gift purchases. $40 bucks more for the sinister Vanilla prepaid card mafia! Avoid like the horrible company they are.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Purchased card at Wal-mart for $4.95 added $200.00. Tried to make a purchase for $36.19 online and was denied because billing and shipping address were not the same. The next morning starting at 9:52 am three charges were made for a total of $195.32 draining my balance to $4.68. Called OneVanilla. They said it would take 90 days and I was better off going through PayPal as the charges were through them. PayPal agreed to reverse the charges but I would need to request a new card because a hold was put on it. OneVanilla said I cannot get a new card until the money is put back... Today I went check the balance to see if the money was back...invalid card number... DO NOT BUY ONEVANILLA debit card. Total scam!!!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

My experience has been terrible. £50 purchased on a Vanilla card in July 18. Unfortunately nothing was loaded and I've been fighting with them for 6 months for a refund. I have sent pictures of the card and the receipt as requested. They manage to wriggle out of every corner I back them into with the most recent reply being that the receipt I have is not connected to the Vanilla card I have with a zero balance which clearly states £50 Vanilla card. Very frustrated and angry. PLEASE be careful and make sure the card is loaded at the retailer you buy from but you won't know really until you go to use the card. Terrible customer services with people that clearly don't give a damn.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information