3.5/5 (747 ratings)

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: May 10, 2022

I purchased a Vanilla gift card for an online purchase, for the first time. They advertise it as being able to use it online, yet most online sites rejected it, because there is no zip code or address associated with it. They do not allow registration, not even a zip code. I called customer service, and was only able to speak to someone when I pressed: lost card. She confirmed that yes, it could not be registered, and she was sorry that all the online sites were rejecting it, but maybe other vendors might accept it. Do not waste your time and money on this card. It is useless.

Original review: May 9, 2022

On April 23,2022 at 8:55am. My husband and I purchased a Vanilla Visa Card. The card was put up with its original packaging that it purchased in. The card was still wrapped up in the Walmart bag, along with the gift card gift box. We took the gift card to church on Sunday April 24, 2022 to give to the graduation recipient. On Saturday May 7, 2022, while I am out of town for Mother's Day. I received a message from the recipient stating that the card had already been used. Called the number on the back of the card, and it started that there was an issue with the card. It must be activated at the store that it was purchased at. Went back to Walmart, they said that they can't do anything we had to contact the company.

Called the number on the back of the card, spoke with a representative. She stated that it would take 45-90 business days for the investigation. Absolutely not, you didn't take 45-90 business days to take my money. It is not fair to paying customers to take our money and play around with your non-diligent efforts of resolving the issue. I further told the representative. That someone from the company must be writing the gift card numbers down and obviously are using them. Not only are they using them, you're selling them to merchants. Her reply was, "Well if that's what you think." What kind of response is that if your company is legally legit and running their business professionally. Now I would have defended my company to the end. It's not right that this allowed. People work hard for their money!! Vanilla need to right all of their wrongs!! Or either shut your business down!!

Original review: May 5, 2022

I, like many others here, received a Vanilla PrePaid Visa card that was declined because someone else had fraudulently used it and drained the balance. Vanilla PrePaid either has a very lax fraud detection system or is part of the scam. Either way, customer service is useless. Fortunately, there are many alternatives on the market. I would strongly suggest using another company. Retailers selling this company's crap should take note that they are dealing with a scam operation.

Resolution response: May 23, 2022

I just received my 2 gift card replacements, but it took forever and they are hard to get through too. Then when you do, someone that doesn't speak English very well tries to get your cards activated. That took 1/2 hour because he didn't understand me. I did get my money back but will never rebuy a Vanilla Gift Card.

Original review: May 4, 2022

I could not get my 500.00 gift cards to work even though they both said active * 2 cards for 500.00 each. I called the number and they sent me to tech the next day my cards were empty. I called again and they were supposed to send me a dispute e-mail and I still have not gotten it. I have lost 1000.00 And no one is helping me. I am devastated. I get paid once a month and my money is gone.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I put $500 on prepaid Vanilla card, I purchased to pay someone with, so I sent it, they said it was declined, so I called, they say fraud. I said no, so they said it was taken off hold. This morning I receive an email saying the card didn't work, so I called the company. They refused to refund my money without filling out a fraud report which there's no fraud, but they said they would not refund my money till I can prove I'm the owner of the card, but am I, seeing I gave it to the folks for payment, they said there was too many attempts to use the card & wanted me to tell them what those transactions was, how the hell do I know. I gave to somebody else. So now I can't get my money nor can I use the card, and they think this is legal. Oh and don't try to call corporate office, they say that they don't have one. That's a lie, so beware. Do not use, request all the stores that carry this card to stop.

Original review: May 3, 2022

More than 3 months waiting they still investigating, every time that I call I get the same answer. Today I called and I was hung up twice!!!! Do not buy this gifts cards. (See more reviews.) Bought $500 and got a $246.54 unauthorize charges.

Original review: May 3, 2022

I received a $300 gift card at my retirement party but when I went to use it months later, the account had been drained with 60 transactions of $5 in a matter of three minutes months earlier. I filed a disputed transaction report (#**) and was told it could take up to three months for that to be reviewed. When I called three months later after not hearing anything, I was told the file had been reviewed and no fraud was found, and the file was closed ten minutes before my phone call. I filed a police report with my local Sheriff's Department (#22-002010). I filed a written report to Vanilla's Dispute Resolution Department by both email and snail mail. It has been over a month and I have not received any communication from them. PLEASE DON'T EVER USE THIS COMPANIES CARDS, IF YOU RECEIVE ONE, REDEEM IT IMMEDIATELY.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I received a $40 Vanilla prepaid gift card for my birthday in January. When I went to register it, I discovered it had nothing on it. Called vanilla who said there were 4 charges of $10 each for google play. I submitted the proper paperwork the next day to get my money back. They said 90 days to figure it out. I called today, one day before the 90 days are up and they are “still investigating”. This is ridiculous. It’s $40 and they have to work with google. Do not buy a gift card from them. They are awful!

Original review: April 27, 2022

I have tried to purchase LED lights on gosund.com and used my Vanilla Gift Card through PayPal. The charges were declined. However, Vanilla Card put a hold on $41.97 and will not release it. After spending 40 minutes on the phone the only answer I was getting, I need to wait 8 days. This is not a refund but a declined transaction. Why are they holding my money for so long? At this point, I hope to get it back but after reading many complaints from other customers, I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with more excuses. I have filed an official complaint at **.

Original review: April 23, 2022

For my gift card with the balance of $950, Vanilla ecard customer service said it was expired. They refused to give the money back to me, and also refused to send the money back to the sender. I googled and found out the gift cards would never been expired. Wondering if it is legal for Vanilla to do such kind of things.

Original review: April 19, 2022

Friends gave me a Vanilla Gift Card. Before I ever used it, there had been three fraudulent charges for $170. After contacting customer support, which is not easy, the card was replaced with another card BUT minus $100. And it took 4 months to get the replacement. Receiving Vanilla Prepaid Cards/Gift Cards has been a horrible experience. They provide very slow and hard-to-reach customer support by phone, and do not resolve issues fairly. The cards seem prone to fraudulent use. I would NEVER use Vanilla Prepaid Cards/Gift Cards. I would not give these problems to another person as a gift, and never want to receive any such "gifts" in the future.

Original review: April 16, 2022

We were given a gift card for $150 back at Christmas time in 2021, used it twice at Dunkin Donuts before the card was declined. Turns out the remaining $130 balance was stolen by some shell company that has no address or phone number. When we contacted customer support, they forwarded us the paperwork to "open an investigation" and would get back to us within 30 days. 3 months later they won't return our emails or calls. Any attempt to check the balance of the card to see if issue have been resolved have been met with the card being erased from the system because the numbers I enter become invalid.

The company is the front for a scam group to swindle people out of gift card money after activation, very much like the ones you see scamming elderly people into giving them Target or Best Buy gift cards to "fix a financial problem involving their Amazon account". If you unfortunately are given one of these as a gift, wait until you get to a computer, activate it and IMMEDIATELY buy Amazon credit with it to empty it.

Original review: April 10, 2022

Cannot be used to send money to friends or pay bills if you use Venmo / Cashapp / Zelle - which feels like an arbitrary limitation. Was given a few cards from work as a bonus and asked Vanilla if I could consolidate them into one card so I could use all the funds on one large purchase. Was not an option according to customer support. Because of this I can't really use the money how I actually want. You also can't perform a partial payment with the card. This means I will likely never actually spend the full balance and am annoyed that I have to 'finesse' my spending to get the full value out of the card. Their virtual cards feel like a very limited and poorly designed product. These limitations are not stated up front and make using the cash you've been given difficult. If you're a business I'd recommend choosing any other way of sending money instead of Vanilla.

Original review: April 10, 2022

I filed a dispute with Vanilla gift cards, and have tried for months to get my money back. I filed the dispute in October 2021; and as of April 10, 2022 I still have not gotten my money back. I've held for as long as an hour sometimes. Most recently a supervisor named Velvet got on the line and introduced herself. After that she refused to say another word. Just sat there on the line. DO NOT buy these cards. If something goes wrong, they keep your money and do not really attempt to make you whole. I don't have $500 to give away; but that's what I did. Sad.

Original review: April 9, 2022

I purchase my Vanilla gift card $50. Went to use it online. Could not use it. Verify that the site that was valid. They said it was valid on the site. Went to use it again. Every site said invalid card. Called customer service. They told me it caught is good. Don't worry about it. Go use it at a 7-Eleven somewhere. Customer service at my opinion because I wasn't going to use it at a 7-Eleven where I needed to use it. It was invalid. I told the lady I even tried to buy on your own site a e gift card and it would not let me on your own site so if it's so good why wouldn't your own site allow me to buy an e-card.

No response from agent who grew angry when I told her I didn't want to call back since that why I'm on with you. They have 48 dollars remaining of my money. I can see just how profitable this can be if people who have money on a card are basically forced to let it go. If the card doesn't work and customer service tells you to buy a snack at 7-11, and tells you to call again with no resolution then you lose and they win big. Avoid.

Original review: April 6, 2022

For Christmas we bought a Vanilla gift card for 250.00 for my daughter. She went to use it the first time and the balance was zero. We called on 12/26 to report the theft of her money on the card. We were told had to wait to report it till Jan 3rd. We called back on Jan 3rd and was told we had to fill out a dispute packet. I Emailed them 5 times the dispute packet on Jan 4th. I Called customer service on 1/26- I was told have to wait 20 days. 2/21 I was told that they didn’t receive the packet from Jan 4th until I threatened to get a lawyer then they decided that they did receive the packet on Jan 4th. 3/16 -I was told they have to wait 90 days. I said, "We are 92 days and can't get a answer on the phone or email." So After holding several minutes to reach someone and the call being transferred and me reading from notes and emails to different employees I have sent to them I got a different answer each time.

Have to wait 20 days. Have to wait 90 days for investigation. Have to wait 24-48 hrs to see why not handled in 90 days. I emailed customer service approx 25 times From Jan 4 to today 4/6 with only getting a email back 25% of the time and with a delay of response time of several days and only with a generic answer stating, "Greetings please be advised that disputes are worked in order received. You should expect a complete resolution within 90 days from receive date however most are resolved before that. If additional information is need you will contacted by email. Please include your case number on any communication regarding dispute." Dispute resolution team.

On every email I sent I had put in bold letters my case number 10-25 times. Each email I sent with question of what is status Of this case. # Only response I ever got was one above. I will NEVER buy another vanilla gift card again. I highly recommend no one ever buys one. You are basically donating money to them bc they will never resolve a issue. Run you around, leave you hold, and change the timeline of there “investigations.“

Original review: April 5, 2022

This $50 Gift Card was not accepted by any merchant. Vanilla customer service had me send in documentation on the card and then told me that the documentation was insufficient and that the card was not active.

Original review: April 4, 2022

Do not ever buy these, Vanilla prepaid cards are known for having many fraudulent activity. This company has no problem letting fraudsters compromise customers' cards. And my story is similar to other reviews on here. I bought a visa prepaid vanilla card on 3/22/22. I checked the balance and it was loaded with 100 dollars and activated. Fast forward April 1st I bought something from an online merchant for 58.02 and it went through with no issue at all.

Fast forward April 3rd I tried buying another item from the same online merchant but the card was denied to insufficient funds. I knew something was not right as I had only spent 58 dollars from the 100 dollars that was on my card meaning I should have had more money. I checked my balance only to see 2 cents left. I checked recent transactions and was shocked to see an unauthorized purchase of 41 dollars on April 1st for giving gifts. It was an unauthorized purchase. I am disappointed and will make every effort to get my money back. Sad this is still happening.

Original review: April 2, 2022

My son got a 75 dollar gift card. There was ambiguous information about a 5.95$ fee associated with it. We tried 75$, 69$, 60$ It finally went through after a bunch of failed attempts. The website shows a half a dozen 1.15$ fees to use it. It's such a scam. It's hard to believe this company is in business and gift cards are a thing still when they always rob you with fees. Of course there's no one to talk to at their customer service number -- of course!!

Original review: March 29, 2022

Purchased Vanilla Visa Gift for my son's birthday. He tried to use less than an hour after it was purchased only to get a message stating "insufficient funds." I went to Vanilla Gift Cards website to check the balance. It showed a balance of zero. The entire amount of the card had been spent on a purchase from a nail salon. I called the customer service line listed on the back of the card. I was on hold for 48 minutes. When I finally talked to someone, they told me they would look into it and if possible, they would refund me. They never did.

Original review: March 29, 2022

I received a Nella Visa electronic and prepaid gift cards from school as well as gifts from classrooms. This is the third time I’ve received the card and it’s either had a portion of the balance or no balance at all. Talking to customer service was a nightmare they were no help, they insulted me and called me a liar, I’m out over $600 from the three gift cards I’ve received as gifts. Total scam. One had a $9 balance on $100 card that I had never used, and in fact, the charges were made before I ever opened it. I will NEVER recommend this product!

Original review: March 24, 2022

Currently I have found that my several Gift cards have been used by someone in other states. The customer service only e-mailed me the form for fraud for me to fill in two months ago and I e-mailed them back, but they never replied and solved the fraud. This is bad Visa Card which is not safe and secured at all!! Please don't buy Vanilla Visa Gift Card anymore!!

Original review: March 23, 2022

I received a Vanilla Visa Gift Card $500 as a gift. When I went to use it there was nothing left, zero balance. Calling customer service was a nightmare. No one picks up. I got an automated message telling me bogus information how mysteriously my money was spent. It made absolutely no sense; mathematically or otherwise. It's out of a bank in Georgia which is unreachable. After research on Sutton Bank, no human being to speak to- Now on the back of the card it says, "...Member FDIC, pursuant to license from VISA U.S.A..." Who do you call from Visa USA? I got the Philippines and he was no help.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Gave Vanilla gift card, friend received card and no numbers were printed on it! Unable to use…! I took a picture of the card, I didn’t have receipt for the gift card. Threw it away. Won’t refund my money!

Original review: March 16, 2022

If I could give negative stars, I would. I received a gift card for $500. There was only $1 on the card when I went to use it. There had been a bunch of fraudulent transactions. Customer service didn't care when I contacted them. Some Christmas gift this was.

Original review: March 15, 2022

Purchased $500 gift card. Gave as gift the next day. Zero balance, showed $500 charge for Amazon.com. Called Vanilla. They couldn’t care less. Called Walgreens where it was purchased. Called Amazon. No one would help. Filed police report and disputed charge with my bank. Nothing. Do not ever buy a vanilla gift card.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Please do not purchase these gift cards. I received a Visa Vanilla Gift Card from my daughter as a Christmas gift which should have had $50. Upon calling to make sure it was activated prior to spending, I find that it only had $4.00! I called the company (Vanilla Gift Card) and was told I was correct in that it only had $4. I asked who had made the transactions to which they could not reply but said to call back later. I explained that it should NOT have been used prior as it was received in a SEALED package. They could not help and said to call back later.

I did call back in about a week and then was told it was "Google Play" that had the transactions on this card. I was sent a dispute packet form by email, was asked to fill out, which I did. I even sent a photo of the SEALED package it came in. I have called several times, emailed them requesting a replacement card. My daughter spent $50 for this card and then I find it only had $4!! The agent I spoke to was in Eastern Asia. I am just sorry my daughter spent $50 on this card. Again, this was a Christmas gift and here it is mid March and still no word from them. I requested a replacement card for the $50, but doubt I will receive. I am just sorry my daughter spent $50 on this card. DO NOT purchase Vanilla Visa gift cards.

Original review: March 11, 2022

These cards were used in a phone scam against an elderly couple. I have jumped through hoops to stop the payments and then to try to get the money back. They have promised me to refund the money numerous times but always tell me to do something else, and like others here, every time I call now, they disconnect me. I honestly believe they are involved in the actual scam callers themselves. But I will NEVER use one of these cards and highly advise you to never buy one! It seems that all I have read about them is that they are a scam. I have called 20 times and gone through all the push this and push that to no avail so far...

Original review: March 5, 2022

Purchased a $100.00 gift card. Check the balance the next day. Money was there. Went to order something on Amazon and come to find out funds were already in transactions with some Fandual Stardust online casino game. Do not, I repeat do not purchase these cards. Called customer service and after a 20 min wait, they refuse to help.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I received a 100 Vanilla gift card from my parents. I checked the balance. Check out fine. The next day gone. Customer service was nuts. No live agent. Until the next day now I have to fill out a packet and wait 45 to 90 days. I feel like it's a scam. Do not buy this card.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information