Looking for a prepaid debit card?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

1.02/5

693 Vanilla Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

Was given a 200.00 card. Put it in the safe and never used it. Pulled it out to use it and had zero balance. The number had been used 2 times at an out of state location. Been trying for weeks to file a claim and all I get is a runaround! Their FAX will never go through no matter what I do. They then had me email it to tell me weeks later they never got it and to call back! My advice never ever buy a card from them!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I was given a $100 prepaid gift card on 6/10/2019 and opened it at the cash register in the store in front of the employees. They swiped the card and it had $0 balance on it. So I called to check the balance on the card and it said my PIN number had already been set and my balance was $0. I never set a PIN number and had never opened the card until that day. So someone stole my money off the card before it was ever opened.

I called the company customer service and was told to mail in my receipts, driver's license and pictures of the card which I did. I have received 3 emails from the company saying they were working on my case. It is now 7/31/2019 and still no refund or new card. This company is a total SCAM! I will be reporting them to the BBB and posting all over Social Media warning others to never buy one of these cards. I want my money and will stop at nothing until I get a refund. Including filing a court case against them in small claims court! They are nothing but thieves!

Original review: July 21, 2019

I was given a Vanilla gift card that had $50 on it. I spent $20 and was getting ready to spend more when I checked my balance. It was 38 cents. There were two purchases on there that I did not make. I contacted customer service and was given instructions for debating a charge. This was two months ago. I've emailed them at the address they gave about a dozen times and still no word. Needless to say I'm posting everywhere I can. Do not purchase one of these.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I was given a $200 gift card. When I went to use it it was declined. I called Vanilla Gift Card the people were extremely rude, unhelpful and they lied. They never got back to me! I was basically robbed and they did nothing! NEVER BUY! Worst company ever.

Original review: July 16, 2019

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CARD!! My son received a $100 Vanilla Gift Card for his birthday and all was fine with it until he went to purchase some dinner and the card was declined. I was able to look online and found that a purchase was made without his authorization from PayPal. I called the 1-800 number and spoke with a representative who was helpful and provided me with instructions on how to file a dispute. However, when I called the 1-800 again I was told that the card information was expired/invalid and I was unable to reach anyone to speak with this about. I tried the website but got the same information. Since I can't provide proof of the fraudulent charge, I am unable to file the complaint. The customer service is poor and if I could give zero stars I would.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Vanilla Prepaid Cards?

Original review: July 14, 2019

There is no option to give zero stars, but that's what I would like to give this terrible card. I was given a $100 Vanilla gift card, and tried to use it at a spa, the card was declined so I ended up using my debit card. Later I went out to lunch, the bill was $45, and I tried to use the card, and the waitress could only take $30 from the card. Later in the day, knowing I should have $70 on the card I tried to purchase my daughter a dress. I could only take $4 from the card. Today I checked my balance. Sure enough the card started at $100. The Spa change went through---although the Spa told me the money didn't come to them. All in all a very pathetic card. DO NOT PURCHASE as a gift.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Bought one of these cards yesterday and everything was fine. Used it a few times and still had a $50 balance. Tried to use it today and it said I needed to call customer service. Someone reported my card as lost and now I'm out my $50 and I can't get it back! It was a brand new card so wow was it lost by someone??? The person on the phone was no help and kept repeating that my account was closed. So now the other person has my money.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I had received this Vanilla Prepaid Visa Card as a gift. It was purchased at Walgreens. Since I had the card and did not use it right away, I contacted customer service to find out how to activate my card. The first customer service representative I spoke with told me that the amount on the card of $35 was no longer available because fees were applied each month I did not use it, and the total amount was gone with these fees. I was stunned because I have had other Visa gift cards that have never had fees applied.

When I asked to speak with a supervisor, the representative said that the supervisor would not be able to do anything. I still insisted on waiting to speak with a supervisor. I waited on hold for a while before speaking with “Alexander” the supervisor. He kept telling me that due to the “cardholder” agreement they could do nothing to refund the amount that was on the card. I found that hard to believe, so I asked to speak to his supervisor even when I found out that they were located in Southeast Asia. Most likely in India.

I was told again that the next supervisor would not be able to do anything. I still insisted on speaking to him or her. After a while, “Alexander” (most likely not even his real name) told me that his supervisor was still on a call, could I give him the best number for the supervisor to contact me at, and that I would get a call back. Needless to say it is two days later, and I never got a call back. This seems like theft to me and a big scam. I HIGHLY recommend that NO ONE purchase this card!!!!

Original review: July 10, 2019

Bought two Vanilla Prepaid Mastercards from Walmart.com, went to their website to check balance and said zero balance and cards have expired and never used it. Please stay away from the name Vanilla Prepaid gift cards of Any kind, please. I’m warning you. It’s all a Scam Scam. People please keep your receipts if you want your Money back. It will take up to 90 days if you send in all your info, from driver's license copy of front and back of the fake cards and your receipt. If you don’t have your receipt don’t expect a refund. Also put in a complaint with BBB. I also told Walmart.com about it and they did check into for me. Vanilla want to discourage people from filing a dispute. Again stay away from these cards.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I received a Vanilla Visa prepaid gift card as a gift. It does not work at all. It does not even allow me the option to see the balance. I called the number on the card. I was told to email them a copy of my driver's license, a picture of the card, and the receipt. Of course I don’t have the receipt as it is a gift, so I emailed them a picture of my driver's license and a picture of the gift card. This was months ago, and I have not received a response.

Vanilla Prepaid Cards Company Information