2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.01/5

Our mission is to provide our members with products and services that enable them to achieve financial goals. We give our members more control by allowing them to only spend what they load onto their prepaid Visa RushCard.

RushCard is a tool that you can use for both day-to-day purchases and deposits or long-term saving. Our Direct Deposit program allows members with qualifying deposits to receive their funds up to two days early. You can choose from two different plan options and seven card options.

Views and opinions expressed are those of the reviewers and do not necessarily reflect those of RushCard or MetaBank.

RushCard Gallery (4)
View More View More

RushCard Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

The man being rough came on TV as a commercial and he was talking about his card. It appealed to me what he said about how the card worked but what got me was when he showed that pink card with the symbol of a platinum card. I like that card and I like the way it works where if somebody is supposed to be taking $2.29 out and then the $2.22 out, it won’t charge me anything for that. I always make a mistake and have a lot of problem with my bank. I didn’t have 20 cents in there and I was charged with money, and I didn’t like that. And that’s what made me when RushCard said that it would make me enjoy it in those. If the money wasn’t in there, they didn’t get it out. It was no problem with my end and it was no problem with them. Just having RushCard helped me. When I first started, it was giving me ten times I paid a dollar and that was good.

For a long time, I have been travelling back and forth Boston, Massachusetts, Omaha, Nebraska, Georgia and every time I would go there and using this card, it would show my married name. I got to the point where everything now is in my maiden name and I said that I gotta change this. So when I called and told them, when I was in the Massachusetts store, they told me that I will have to send some information in to change my name. It took me a while to do it because I was just leaving and travelling. I didn’t have time but I finally did it now. I sent all the information they asked me to send them, faxed it to them and they changed my name and address.

The only thing that kinda bothered me was that RushCard didn’t have the platinum card anymore. I loved that pink card. Everybody thought that was so cute and they had never seen anything like that. But I love RushCard, the way it’s set up and everything. I get disability and I was thinking about getting my disability card sent here.

Hello Johnnie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We value the opportunity to help people with their financial needs and do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks. We hope that you continue to enjoy your RushCard and all of it's great features. Thank you so much for being a loyal customer.

RushCard

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

With RushCard, the money gets in there early sometimes, and it allows me to go ahead and get the money orders out of the way to pay my rent. I'm also able to do my online purchases. I had no problem when I go and use my debit card to make any purchases, online purchases or getting them to help pay for some of my medication. I'm glad I got RushCard, so when I need to go get my medication or my over-the-counter stuff, I just go and charge it up. But a lot of times, it's busy for RushCard during the 1st of the month and a lt of people cry that their money is not there yet. And it'll be hard to get through RushCard any time after the 27th.

When I speak to the reps at RushCard, I let them know that they're dealing with the public and I tell them to always try to give them a smile and just let them know that RushCard doesn't give away free money. A lot of the reps will be happy for that conversation, and that I have them laughing, and it keeps them more motivated. Because sometimes, people can be harsh over money that they can't control.

I got the direct deposit with RushCard. All my benefits go straight to my RushCard, including my disability checks. I used to load money to my card at Walgreens but they started charging me $5, so I just go to a regular check cashing place where they only charge me $3. I'll recommend RushCard. I told people to get a RushCard because once RushCard came out, everybody started coming out with them prepaid cards. RushCard became the most successful one. Mostly, the prepaid cards, you go to check cashing place and they charge you $9.99. But RushCard is now affiliated with Chase Bank now, and that tells you how well they're doing.

Hello Anthony,

We're so happy to hear that you like your RushCard and appreciate your feedback. Feedback from wonderful customers such as yourself assists us in becoming better at what we do. We hope that you continue to enjoy your RushCard and all of its great features. Thank you so much for being a loyal customer.

Regards,

RushCard Customer Service

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

There was this girl named Christina who had about three or four RushCards. She would transfer money from one card to another paying bills and doing other stuff. I didn’t have a bank account and one day, she said for someone to get me a card. I've had RushCard for a while and I’ve been using it. When you have a bank account and you have a problem, you have to call them. It is so much stuff. RushCard is good. But when you have a problem, you have to go through so much.

I had money come on my RushCard but there were fees missing out and I had to transfer that over every time to get money off my card. It just takes so long. I called RushCard and told them to send me another card. It's gonna take 7-10 days for that to come out. Also, if I start calling at 11 AM, I get through by 11:10 because you gotta go through so much to try to get through.

I have two RushCards. Plus, I went and opened a bank account down in Houston because this card is out of town. The worst problem I had was when I needed money and it was around the weekend. Somebody said to me to wait a bit until tomorrow before I could call in and get my problem straightened. But I needed my money then. RushCard's customer service is courteous and everybody will help you, but it’s just time-consuming for me.

Other than that the card is good. The only thing is I’m in one state and they're in another state. Right now, I need $200. I don’t wanna have to wait for my money. When I have a problem, I wanna deal with people. RushCard is dealing with my money and I wanna talk to them. If it’s something I had done, we should straighten it out. Whatever problem I had, they always got it together but it takes time.

I have a 16-year-old daughter and she has a RushCard. When she needs money, I just transfer it and she would do it for me too. That's a good part about the card. But I don’t work anymore and my money only comes once a month. I would rather have a bank where I can get in my card. I can go to them and say I have a problem I need to be straightened out. When I have a problem with my RushCard, I always go to the girl who ordered the card and she only reads all of that. Most time, if it’s something about the website, she goes to the website.

Hello Lawrence,

We would like to thank you for your positive feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you have concerns when speaking with customer service. We want all our cardholders to have a good customer service experience when calling in. We will look in to your concern with our customer service and make sure that you get the best customer service possible moving forward. We hope this address some of your concerns. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Thanks,

RushCard Customer Service

Original review: July 29, 2019

I’ve been with RushCard since 2007 and it's been pretty good. I rarely dispute. But if I do, that means there's a reason why. I’m in a battle right now disputing something. I made reservations at a hotel, canceled it within enough time, got the cancelation number, but was still charged. I called the hotel so many times, couldn’t get ahold of anyone, ended up disputing it, and the money was put right back on my card. But I’ve been trying to talk to someone about that because I canceled it and they told me that they see the error on their end. They sent me an email and I printed it out, signed it, and faxed it over to them. I don’t know how they came up with the conclusion declining my dispute.

This has been going on since April and they just put the money back on my card last week. I called RushCard and I spoke to two people. I asked for a supervisor because one guy was helpful, but there wasn’t much he could do. He transferred me to someone else and that person was rude as ever. They put me on hold and never came back. I work so I couldn't just be on hold. I have yet to receive a call from a manager. I’m gonna dispute it again because I’m not gonna pay for that. I will be speaking with someone today about it.

Other than that, I love my RushCard. I like the fact that it doesn't overdraft. If you don’t have the money, you don’t have it. I don’t like accounts where they allow you to overdraft then they hit you with all those overdraft fees even if it was a dollar or if it was fraud or something could’ve happened. I had an account with Navy Federal and the whole bank got hacked. It was just a mess and they ended up telling me I had to pay for stuff that I didn’t even do. Why was I gonna pay $700 when their bank was hacked? I’ve been with RushCard since I signed up with them because I haven't had any problems. They've always been pleasant and good. And I hardly ever call them because I rarely have too many issues. But when I do, they take care of me. I’ll definitely recommend RushCard to my friends. All my friends all have it. We all send money to each other and everything.

Hello Kiristen,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss your dispute concerns. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

RushCard

Original review: July 11, 2019

With RushCard, I like how I get my benefit early. I receive direct deposit through it and whenever it comes through, I get notifications. However, I had an issue wherein I made an order online and I was double-charged but then I didn't know. I had a hard time getting my funds back. The dispute department was late to send me the documents as they stated and so I took matters into my own hands and talked to the merchant and tried to solve the issue. But then, RushCard told me to let the dispute department handle the situation because at that point, I had filed a dispute.

Another issue is that whenever I call RushCard, there's always someone different that answers the phone. Sometimes I have to repeat why I'm calling and the reps tell me they're going to notate my account or they're going to send information over and that I should check back in a certain time frame. In the double charging situation, I was frustrated because it was where I was constantly being charged and I didn't understand how that was so when my card was actually cancelled and they were sending me a replacement. The reps told me that the merchant has a way to push the payment. Despite these issues, RushCard is a great card to have because my funds are available earlier. They let me know what places I can go to, and they won’t charge me out-of-network fees.

Hello Dominica,

Regards,

RushCard Customer Service

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RushCard?

Original review: May 15, 2020

I have had a very bad experience with RushCard. I had three transactions that I am disputing on my card and no one is willing to return my money back to me. I've been a customer since 2010 and I think that I should be treated in a different manner with this transaction. I have had a very bad experience with the customer service representative. They they do not help you in trying to resolve the matter. I am just so done with RushCard altogether.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Rush Card agent hung up the phone on two times. Already bad enough I been on hold for a hour. These people don’t care. Ever since this virus people are disgusting and disrespectful. Rush needs to do better. I can’t even trade my money because rush card system is messed up. Even my friend card that had rush card having the same problem.

Original review: April 18, 2020

So I had a RushCard a year ago for my taxes, stopped using it but come to find out my stimulus check went on that card. I cannot get a hold of anyone after an email sent to me from Rush Card told me about my direct deposit. I cannot get a new card because every time I call my wait time goes up and not down. My 1200 is on my RushCard account and I CANNOT GET A NEW CARD, WHY??? I am reporting you to the IRS cause this is not right. I ain't never had so much trouble out of one card, I would give you minus 2 stars. How can I survive if I can't get my money the Government sent in this crisis?????

Original review: April 17, 2020

I've been with RushCard for over 7 years now and never had a reason to change my phone number so I never bothered. MY STATE RETURN WAS DEPOSITED INTO MY RUSHCARD ACCOUNT ON 04/15/2020, ALONG WITH MY STIMILUS CHECK ON 04/15/2020 and to this date rushcard has not credited my account. What I have a hard time wrapping my head around, is why is not some kind of safeguard set up in case one does not remember his/her phone number (and I'm not talking about the 4-5 security questions they ask) for after answering them, they still intend for you to fax a i.d, social and proof of address: (I WOULD THINK MY MONEY WILL BE LONG GONE BY THEN). Were all locked down with no access to a fax machine etc. We're fighting for our lives out here during this virus, and this is how rushcard responds to its customers. Pretty good indication that someone is dropping the ball.

Original review: April 17, 2020

I am writing this review because I have to comment on the customer service that is provided. It takes plenty prompts to even get to a live person and when you do speak with them most of them are not very helpful. I have been a member since 2018 and every time I have a less than productive experience I say I am going to cancel, however the only thing that stops me is that I am able to get my direct deposit two days earlier which has been very helpful.

I say all that to say WITH everything that is going on with Covid -19, it would be more conducive to speak to an agent for status information. I have used the chat options (which is not viable) at all because all it tells you is go to the government website to check status which I have done numerous times (which shows it was deposited with RushCard as of two days ago) yet I have yet to receive a response because I did send emails. The automated system is concise YET all it does is tell you what it CANNOT do and now agents cannot access our account information- how is that even possible. If the government website says it’s been deposited I would LIKE TO KNOW where my STIMULUS CHECK is. This isn’t rocket science and it only takes a moment to reassure people in a time where they don’t know what the next steps are. Do Better RushCard!

RushCard author review by Barbara Friedberg

RushCard is a prepaid Visa card that lets consumers load their own money onto the card. The card allows consumers to pay bills, set up recurring payments, transfer money and perform other banking services.

• Pricing and fees: RushCard is a free prepaid debit card to purchase. The $7.95 monthly fee is waived if you spend more than $1,000 per month.

• Mobile app: Use the mobile app to check your balance, view transactions and transfer money. There is no charge for the app, and it’s available for download in the iPhone App Store, Google Play store or the Amazon store. Set up text or email alerts to stay aware of your balance and recent transactions.

• Rewards: Earn 3% unlimited cash back plus 3% annual interest when you keep savings.

• ATM network: RushCard has more than 23,000 Fee-Free MoneyPass ATMs for consumers to withdraw money quickly and easily. There is a $3 withdrawal fee for out-of-network ATMs.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor