2.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our mission is to provide our members with products and services that enable them to achieve financial goals. We give our members more control by allowing them to only spend what they load onto their prepaid Visa RushCard.

RushCard is a tool that you can use for both day-to-day purchases and deposits or long-term saving. Our Direct Deposit program allows members with qualifying deposits to receive their funds up to two days early. You can choose from two different plan options and seven card options.

RushCard Gallery (6)
CBBB Rating
View More View More

4424 RushCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I love having my Rushcard. I use it for everything. I pay all my bills with it, and it comes in handy. I have already recommended it to friends now I can't make them get it, but I can show them how to apply.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My deposits are always correct and on time. Their customer service reps are always helpful and can always solve any issue I might have. I love receiving my pay two days ahead of time and I also like their deposits of a check from another source.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I started with RushCard back in 09. It was before then but I left for like a year and came back and never left. The piece of mind that you get knowing that your money is safe. The banks that I tried have all kinds of unnecessary fees. I also love the fact that you only spend what you have. Meaning, it doesn't take them 6 days to process your transaction. I'll never forget that I went to an ATM to take out funds but my money was never dispense. RushCard checked it out and released my funds back to me within 48hrs. The only bad thing I dont like about Rush is that I've been with them 10yrs and haven't received no type of incentive or won any contest. But none of that has anything to do with them being an OUSTANDING bank and takes care of my funds. Now I even have an opportunity to get and keep my credit intact thru their credit card program. THANKS RUSH.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Now two weeks later, I sent money, transfer from PayPal to Rush card because my debit Paypal card stopped working and was waiting on a new one. So, I've had a Rush card since 2017 and never got around to using it and decided to transfer a small amount of $50 to Rush but found that it had indeed made it quickly but ended up on a Rush card I never knew existed. I knew I'd moved and didn't recall ordering another card but thought, whatever, I can transfer it back or to a different card. No big deal.

Until it asked me for CVC # on the back of the card which I never had. I called customers service to find that my name, address, full social security nine digits, D.O.B., and current cell # weren't enough security info to confirm my identity. Since I never ordered this card and don't have a clue out of the previous five old cell numbers I recited to them; not one of those numbers matched this ghost card and they wouldn't accept all this information. I got upset and they've locked me out of my webpage account, too. So I cannot access the info they need and now I'm to send a picture of my I.D. that they never had in the first place and a letter asking for the # to this card so they can send my money back to me or PayPal. This sounds like a crock and this is as far as I've got so far. Please help.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I’ve been with RushCard for years. I could save a little bit with RushCard and it helps me spend responsibly. I get my benefits two or three days early. I use the card all the time to pay bills and purchase online. RushCard is a very good company and they’re very reliable. I would recommend them to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RushCard?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I tried to transfer money. I entered in the correct information off my card. The system told me that it was incorrect and suspended my account. Upon calling customer service I was told that it was my fault. When I asked how it was my fault. They informed me I entered in the wrong information. I explained that the same numbers on the back of my card was the same numbers I entered in. Needless to say they did not unlock my account so I couldn't pay my bill and my lights was cut off for non payment. Everything in my icebox and freezer spoiled.

I can't get my account unlocked and I was hung up on 3 times by customer service... Bottom line is RushCard is a scam... They don't care about their customers... They are rude... And they lost a customer that has been with them for over 2 years. I will post this everywhere...so everyone can know that RushCard is not about their customers like they claim to be.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been having a $50 pending hotel incidental charge for a week. I spoke to the hotel who said they released the charge weeks ago. I spoke to RushCard who explained it will take 30-35 days to release my funds. I have been a loyal customer since 2004. RushCard said I will have to have the hotel write a letter of release and fax it to them of release or they will hold my funds for an entire month. I am extremely upset with RushCard and plan on canceling this card after they release my credit.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have been trying to replace my lost card that has a balance on it. After calling CS line and following the prompts to request a replacement I'm told "I can't submit the card replacement request at this time". This has been months now. I sent an email to cs@rushcard.com and was sent a case # and have not heard a response in 10 days so I will never trust holding a balance on this card again if it's this difficult to get answer from customer service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My account is locked and the guy I spoke barley speaks English and I didn’t understand a word he was saying. I can’t get to my money and they suspended my online access. I will not ever use this service again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

This is a huge problem. I have bills and a family to take care of and still have received my direct deposit. Something needs to happen quick or I’m going to have to take my business elsewhere. I will not do this again if it doesn't get fixed and it happens again I will no longer use the RushCard.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been a RushCard member since 2015. I recently ran low on funds and was in between paychecks so I returned an item I had bought the day before. The merchant told me my funds would be available immediately back on my card and I received an email notifying me that the funds had been deposited to my account. I tried to use my card to get gas and my card was declined!!! I checked my account and it said my balance was still $0!! I checked my deposits again and it showed the deposit going on my card but my balance never reflected the money.

I called customer service and after a very lengthy hold I was told they could hold my funds for up to 10 days before they gave them to me, even though they have been cleared and notified I had received the funds!! It is now going on 3 days since the return and they have yet to allow me to access my money and with no explanation as to why!?! The whole reason I returned the item was because I needed the money immediately and am still broke, without the item and still trying like to find a way to get to work the rest of this week!! Needless to say after I receive my funds I will be canceling my card and finding a new card for my paycheck to deposit to!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I've dealt with RushCard for a few years. I've never had a problem with them up until this week. I deposited $300 on my card & it was put on there hours later (usually it takes 10 mins). Deposited $70 on my card again this morning & it has been 4 hours & my money still isn't put on the card. Call customer service & they want the phone number that's associated with your account. Nobody remembers a number from years ago if they've been with RushCard a long time. TERRIBLE!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Every time I call their number I stay on hold for more than 20 mins waiting to speak with an agent. The same thing happens when I try the chat live also. Would be nice to speak with someone less than 30 mins. Other than that, I'm happy with my card.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I got this card so that I could get my social security check direct deposited. Social security paid out on the 28th of December. Here is January 9th and the money is STILL not in my account. I verified with SS that the funds were released and even verified direct dep info. I have called RUSHCARD at least 10 times only to talk to someone that I cannot even understand, because they speak broken English. Did the live chat twice, got nowhere. Was told it would go into my account when it's received from MetaBank.

In the meantime, since I live on SS, my bills are past due and my cable and cell phone have been turned off. I feel like I get no explanation of where my money is! This is ridiculous! IF I ever get my money, I WILL be canceling this account. I asked how long does it take MetaBank to put the money on the RushCard and was told, "Oh it's done immediately." REALLY??? Well it's been 10 days people!!! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE AND DON'T RECOMMEND THIS JOKE OF A BANK/BUSINESS TO ANYONE!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I saw a purchase I did not recognize so I contacted Rushcard. I just wanted them to identify the purchase. They in turn shut down my account. Told me a new card would be sent in 10 days unless I wanted to pay 40 dollars for an express mailing. I now can't access any money for up to 10 days. They have shut down my life. My Direct deposits go into this account. How do they expect me to live for the next 10 days. As soon as I can I am going change my form of banking.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Yes my name is Lakeitha and someone hacked into my account and took over 5000. Due to this my kids did not have a Christmas. I have been a customer since 2004 and this is beyond sad. I filed my claim on 12/8/18 so on 12/21/18 a decision was made. How was it made that quick. So I sent in a rebuttal letter a police report and my paperwork from when I was off work and a letter from the person who took my money. Merchants have been writing in stating that I was not the one who made these charges. I need my money ASAP. Now do I need to get a lawyer or my local news team involved.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have been a customer since 2008. I had my paychecks and other income deposited to my account. But on December 28, 2018 I checked into a hotel but cancel because the room was disgusting. I wasn’t there even 5 minutes. The young lady cancel and said my money would be refunded back to my card. Well I still haven’t gotten my money yet! They told me in order for them to release my money back into my account they would need an authorization letter fax over from the hotel. And nice lady there did everyday up until that Thursday because they kept rejecting the letter. So once that Thursday came I was furious! My funds should have been back on my card. I have never had to go through anything like this in order to get MY FUNDS back. Today is January 7, 2019 and I still don’t have my funds. Never again will I ever go through this for MY MONEY.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I really never had a problem with Rush until a few months ago which I've been trying to call but it'd unclear how to reach anyone. This month I get paid and damn near my whole entire check is gone days before I have to pay my rent. I've left messages online then it tell me I have to pay to talk to a technical support team member. What the hell. So not pleased. I also left my number to get a phone call. Still I haven't gotten any calls nor updates on my account. I need someone ASAP TO EMAIL ME. **. This matter is very serious. I need answers.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I filed a dispute with RushCard due to an unauthorized transaction of 324.00 that was withdrawn from my account without my consent. It has been over 10 days since I filed the claim and I have yet to get any provisional credits or response. I was told by an agent that must have been in Mumbai or somewhere remote, because they couldn't speak or understand proper English, that I would receive a credit within a few days of submitting the dispute. I have never experienced in all my years of banking a company as uncaring as RushCard.

RushCard response

Hi Antwain. We understand your concern. Please send us a private message so we can further assist. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

My account and card was blocked, due to my card being compromised. I wasn't informed prior and my card was just blocked. I contacted customer service and was informed that a new card needed to be sent. They informed me it would take 7-10 business days. After I explained that this was unacceptable and needed to have the card sent immediately, they informed me it would cost an additional $30.00!

After speaking with the agent, she said they could file a ticket to have that $30.00 reimbursed to me. I then attempted to let the agent know that my mailing address was not updated and provided her with my new address... I was then told, I needed to submit all of these different documents to prove my address, as my account was locked and they could not edit my address. I've now sent the documents on four (4) separate occasions and they aren't visible enough for the team to see them...

I've finally sent in another copy of my ID and now they say that can't see the text on the ID! I've asked to speak with a member of their corporate office or a member that I can send an e-mail to, in order to get a clear document and it's the same robotic answer. RushCard is holding my money and I'm following through with a BBB complaint.

RushCard response

Hi Christopher. We understand your concern and are here to help. Please send us a private message so we can provide you with assistance. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I like that RushCard is normally able to pay a little earlier, especially with the paydays that we have. I went with them and they have been helping us. There are some months when we get paid earlier by about two days. However, we never know when it's coming. If RushCard could have something to show that the payment is pending, their service would be improved. Nevertheless, it's easy to use and their reps are always nice and pleasant. They try to give as much information as possible. I'd definitely recommend this company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I went to use my card which all the numbers were removed from the card along with the expiration date. I had the card for about four years but still you should be able to still see the numbers, I guess that's the quality of the card. Anyway my purchase came back as decline even though I knew the funds were available. After further investigation I find out that my card had expired. I tried to go online to order a replacement card but it asked for my card number which was removed. I called the number and was never given an option to speak to a rep so I changed it up and clicked the option to report fraud. That's when a representative came on the line and stated that in order for me to change my address to have the card sent out I had to fax in my Driver's license, a bill and social security card.

I faxed the information which I never had to do with any other bank card of mines. I faxed in the information and they said my driver's license wasn't clear, they couldn't see my address, so I blew up the card so they could see the address, I called again clicking the fraud option again due to no customer service line, they then stated that they needed to see all four corners of the ID. I faxed them the entire ID again blown up. In between these calls, I asked to speak with a supervisor, which in returned I found out was not one and then when I asked to speak to a manager, she paused, came back on the phone and said she was the manager after she left me on hold for 1hr and 1 min prior.

I called back again to make sure they received the ID with all four corners and then they said that can't see my picture. All of this to change my address so that I can receive my card. At this time I stopped my direct deposit. I just wish to have my card so that I can withdrawal my funds. I am a government employee who tries to support new ** owned business but not this one. I'm writing this to at least stop one person for making a bad decision. Lastly before I got off the phone with like the 2nd supervisor he stated that they don't have numbers after the person who claim she was the supervisor gave me a id # of ** Kay **, and they don't give out last names. Unfortunately I work too hard to be treated like this.

RushCard response

Hi Cherina. We understand your concern. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have been a RushCard holder since 2010! Yes a very long time, and throughout my time using them I have been a victim of Credit card fraud TWICE!! NOT ONCE BUT TWICE!! Every person you talk to over the phone barely can speak English which is VERY FRUSTRATING in itself. Would you think someone in accounting or the fraud department would make sure victims would have extra security placed on their accounts. I GUESS NOT! Here we are today I get an alert someone has used my CC info miles away along w/ my PIN# just so happens to be in Ohio where RushCard is based out of! WOW what a coincidence that happened huh. When I reside in Washington, DC area. You cannot convince me that this second time is not an inside job!

The day after I have a deposit post to my account the next day my money is being taken from me. These cc so called scammers made a purchase at a store in Ohio for the EXACT AMT of money that was left in my account. Not only did they make one purchase, they made two transactions. And RushCard now wants me to pay them $5 to receive a new card! GTFOH...I REFUSE TO GIVE UP, LOOSE ANYMORE OF MY MONEY AND OR UTILIZE their services ANY LONGER. THIS IS IT! Once I get my money refunded back to me they will never have to worry about me and or anyone I know to use their services! People please make sure you have alerts set up to inform you of any transactions being processed like I did. If not I would have never known!

RushCard response

Hi Caleida. We understand your concern. For any further assistance please send us a private message. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have been in contact with my payroll dept. over the last three months and know the exact time of when my payroll has been entered multiple times and even though my info is submitted early than expected each time it has no effect on how and when my direct deposits post with Rush Card. I have lived and learned never to trust this company with 100% of my direct deposit. My direct deposits used to post every Wed. night by 10:30 EST but now it's up in the air and there is no way to figure out when exactly. My bank posts my deposit every Thur. by 3am EST without fail. My bank often beats Rush Card to the table with funds but sometimes I still get lucky.

RushCard response

Hi John. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Please feel free to send us a private message so we can further assist with any further issues or concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had this card for almost a year. I called December 17th to make sure my card was good because I haven’t used it in a while but the website says activate my card. I spoke with a rep who said a new card was mailed for not using it for a while but my old card will work. I loaded money on the card and used it for an Amazon transaction. I receive an email the 18th from Amazon declining the transaction says card inactive. I try the atm, doesn’t work. I call RUSH and they tell me I have to wait 5-7 days for my new card. 7 day pass, no card. I called the 27th woman informs me it takes 7-10 business days. Spoke to a supervisor who says the card should still be good to use.

I CANNOT transfer it to another card because the security code is incorrect. Apparently they sent a new card with the same numbers and expiration but new security code. Here it is the 2nd and guess what? NO CARD. I call and this lady informs me that they sent a card on December 27th. WHY ARE YOU KEEPING ME FROM GETTING MY MONEY FROM THIS CARD? All I want is my money. I even asked them to overnight a new one because this is entirely their fault. Oh I forgot to mention they sent a card over the summer too which I never received. In all a total of cards have been mailed out and I received NONE. I WANT MY MONEY!

RushCard response

Hi Shameka. We understand your concern and are here to help. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

This is the worst experience I have ever had with a company! I have sent documents to these people 5 different times to get my address changed so they will open my account and give me back my 1300 dollars and here I am a week later still no money and still no address change. They just keep telling me they haven't received my documentation, I have spoke to these people at least 15 times in the last 7 days and I have gotten nowhere! I hope people read this and stay away from this card because these people are incompetent and don't care about you or your money. At this point I don't know what else to do. This card should be shut down. Thank you for the horrible learning experience.

RushCard response

Hi Dawn. We understand that your funds are important to you. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you with this issue. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I’ve been with RushCard for 10 years. Every time my card gets ready to expire in December I usually receive my card. For some odd reason this year I did not receive my updated card and was told I could use my card. Well December 31 came and I tried to purchase my kids some pizza to bring in New Years and the card said declined due to my card being expired. So I said that can’t be true so then I go to the ATM to swipe my card and the ATM reads declined expired card.

So I proceeded to contact RushCard to find out where is my card. I was connected with a disrespectful customer service rep who informed me that my card was sent out December 3, 2018 and that I should check my mailbox. I then replied, "Today is December 31. You telling me it takes 30 days to receive an updated card." He said, "No. It takes 7-10 business days." So I replied, "So where is my card?" He replied check my mailbox. SMH. I found that to be rude.

Then I was told because they have to send a replacement card I would be charged a $5.00 fee which I think is unfair due to the fact that I’m suppose to automatically get a new card when my card expires. So I contacted Rush again today and asked them where is my card because I need to feed my kids. And why am I paying for a card I never received. I’m not understanding. Then the supervisor Tony told me he tells me I can pay for expedited shipping for 35 dollars. I’m done with Rush. I need a lawyer.

RushCard response

Hi LaNoraann. We understand your concern and are here to help. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

My finances has been much better with RushCard since I can see my transactions as they happen. I have the app and I can see the transactions online. It's very convenient. I also get paid two days faster with them. I sometimes I use the reload locations, and it only takes about a few minutes on the phone to reload it. When they first put out the transfer from card to card, I had to contact customer service and they were very helpful. I love having my RushCard. It’s really a great card.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

RushCard was on TV a few years ago and I liked the direct deposit and the early payday. My interaction with the reps were straightforward and my experience with the company has been okay. It started off good and then, the first time they went into the card expiring, there was a little mix-up. When they changed it, they messed something up but after that, it has been straight. That was before the recent card expired. If people wanna get paid early, they should get RushCard.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Everybody at RushCard was helpful and nice, and the interaction was good. I liked that I can get paid two days earlier with RushCard but it comes later at night. When I first got it, it came early during the day. I use direct deposit and I pay bills with the card. It has been a fine experience and I referred someone to them.

RushCard expert review by Barbara Friedberg

RushCard is a prepaid Visa card that lets consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used for purchases similar to the way a debit card is used.  It allows consumers to pay bills, set up recurring payments, transfer money and perform other banking services. RushCard offers FDIC-insured Visa prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards are FDIC-insured. Note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa logo on the RushCard. Visa is the payment processor for the card.

• Set up alerts: Set up text or email alerts to stay aware of your balance and recent transactions.

• Mobile App: Use the mobile app to check your balance, view transactions and transfer money. There is no charge for the app, and it’s available for download in the iPhone App Store, Google Play or the Amazon store.

• Convenience: RushCard has over 23,000 Fee-Free MoneyPass ATMs for consumers to withdraw money quickly and easily. Note there could be a fee, depending on the plan you choose.

• One-time card fee: This fee ranges from $3.95 to $9.95, depending on the card design you choose.

• Plan options: RushCard offers two plan options. The first is the Rush Unlimited Fee Plan, which has a monthly fee ($5.95 if you use direct deposit; $7.95 if you don’t). If you choose this plan, you don’t pay fees on signature and PIN transactions. The second is a Pay As You Go Plan, which does not charge a monthly fee but rather charges one dollar each for signature and PIN transaction. With either plan there are other fees to consider, so read the Fee Chart that RushCard has provided on their website.

• Zero debt: Consumers use the card as a cash card, so it doesn't allow debt to add up.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need a way to make purchases and pay their bills.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg