Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About RushCard

RushCard gives users more financial control by only letting them spend what they load onto their prepaid Visa RushCard. You can use RushCard for long-term savings or day-to-day purchases and deposits. The direct deposit program lets cardholders with qualifying deposits receive funds up to two days early. Select from two different plan options.

Pros

• RushGoals saving feature
  • User-friendly mobile app
  • Early paychecks with direct deposit

Cons

• Higher fees than some competitors

Bottom Line

RushCard is an alternative to bank debit cards and credit cards with an app to manage transactions. It has higher fees than some competitors but can be worth the investment to save money and time in the long run.

Top RushCard Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Love the card. Tells me what I done… I can always go back to it and I get my money early. I don't like to carry money so it's very convenient for me to just swipe which is what I ...

Verified

I like that since RushCard is prepaid, you put on there what you need so you can’t use what's not there. I like the convenience of loading it any time I want to… The direct deposi...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is RushCard?

RushCard is a prepaid debit card that can be used in place of a checking account or given to others as a gift card. The cards can be used to make purchases and withdraw funds from ATMs, and you can set up direct deposit on the app and get your paycheck and deposit two days earlier than usual. RushCard also offers a savings plan, RushGoals.

How to get a RushCard

To get a RushCard, call over the phone or sign up online. Federal law requires you to provide documents to confirm your identity and Social Security number.

RushCard doesn’t check credit scores, so most people who sign up are likely to get approved. Once approved, you receive a new card in the mail and set up a personal identification number. You can use your card online or in stores after you set up the PIN.

RushCard fees

RushCard offers two payment plan options. The Unlimited plan has a higher monthly fee at $7.95 (or $5.95 with direct deposit) at the time of publishing, but the plan doesn’t charge any purchasing fees or inactivity fees. This is a smart option if you plan to use your RushCard pretty often.

The second option is a pay-as-you-go plan with no monthly fee. However, this plan charges a $1 transaction fee per purchase. If you primarily use your RushCard to pay a few bills, this might be a better plan for you.

RushCard FAQ

What bank is RushCard with?
RushCard partners with MetaBank and Visa to offer its cards. RushCard is insured by the FDIC.
How do I get my RushCard account number?
Your account number is shown on your RushCard, which you will receive in the mail if your application is approved.
Does RushCard have a monthly fee?
RushCard’s Unlimited plan has a monthly fee, but the pay-as-you-go plan does not.
Does Walmart sell RushCards?
Yes, RushCards are available at some participating Walmarts.
How long does it take RushCard to receive a tax refund?
Your tax refund should appear around two weeks after the IRS received your return if you chose to deposit it in your RushCard account.
Is a RushCard prepaid?
Yes, RushCard is a prepaid Visa that must have funds loaded onto the card or account.

Is RushCard legit?

RushCard is a good choice if you are looking for a prepaid card for safety or gifting purposes. The card has two plans to choose from, which lets you pick a plan that works well with how you intend to use your card. The monthly or transaction fees could be worth it for the perks like early paychecks and savings features.

RushCard Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RushCard?

Original review: June 8, 2021

I requested a replacement card a couple of months ago. I sent in all my require identification information which included my driver's license, proof of address and work stub. As yet I have not received my RushCard. They keep giving me excuses and in the meantime I have two Social Security checks and a stimulus check which I cannot get my funds from. I am being evicted from my apartment because I cannot pay my rent due to the fact that they have not sent my card yet. Everything that requested was approved by them. My case number is **.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I have been reaching out to Rush Card for months now and they keep giving me the run around about my deceased parents. In which they will not release their funds on the card after receiving death certificate.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2021

I have a prepaid debit card with RushCard, MetaBank. On February 27th there was a fraudulent charge made through Facebook, my account was hacked and both of my debit cards on file were fraudulent used. I filed a dispute case on March the 7th for $480.00. I was given a provisional credit on March the 19th. Only 7 days later on the 26th Rushcard reversed my provisional credit twice putting my about into the negatives over $900.00. I've asked multiple times as to why it was closed, all they keep telling me is no error was found and the investigation is private.

I work for a major bank and know that is a lie. In fraud cases the bank must given a reason as to why I lost the case. Also, I only filed one dispute yet they reversed the credit twice and as of April the 3rd they have refused to fix or correct the error from March 26th. I've emailed and called multiple times and keep being told 1 to 2 days, the corporate office is looking into the matter and still nothing. No one will help me! I've kept all my emails and call records due to possibly needing to get a lawyer to get the money they stole from me.

Original review: March 24, 2021

There is always an issue w my account. For instance I order a product online the order gets canceled but the transaction still pending after the pending transaction is lifted and my money supposed to be deposited back. They don’t. Call customer service and it’s even worse. They are rude and no help to the matter at all!! This has happened on multiple occasions. I hate writing bad reviews but I am fed up with this. You will be too if you decide to use Rush Card as your banking. I’m not recommending anyone use this banking and those who are using I’d get all my money out and switch to another bank if I were them. As I am going to do once my money is put back. I’m closing it out and taking my business elsewhere. I’ve been with Rush Card well over 3 years and it gets worse by the year!!

Original review: March 19, 2021

I scheduled a bill pay to myself after not being able to pull funds out my account from a teller. I schedule it for $7000 to be sent to my other bank to pay my mortgage. It stated it would be sent the next day. It stayed in pended. I end up calling and asking them to just cancel because it provided me the option but when I clicked it wouldn’t cancel. I was then told to wait every day. It was wait another day. It’s now been a week. I have called, spoke to over 10 different foreign people who hang up who lie say they can’t give out id numbers so on so forth.

I have three ticket numbers. No one has fixed my issue. Last representative told me it’s being escalated, give two business days. Explain to her it’s been more than 2 business days. She says their department backed up and now I see why I have been customer since 2010. $7000 just gone. Verified both accounts on bill pay there correct. After this issue is solved I will be closing my account. During pandemic this is wrong way to be going about things. They don’t care or value their customers. If I could give no stars I would. This has been the worse.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I have been a RushCard customer since 2015!! Have always had my paychecks and tax refunds deposited into my account with no issues. This year I get an email stating they were holding my tax refund until I call them and speak to someone. There is absolutely no way to get in touch with a live person. I literally had to forward the email they sent me to their customer service email. Finally get a response saying I had to send in verification??? So I submitted the verification still did not get a response. So I emailed them again and they received it and approved it but they already sent the check back to the IRS. I called IRS and they have not received the check back. This is horrible. I’m a single mom of 3 kids and we really need that money. It’s very frustrating when you can’t even speak to someone. Everything is through email.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I reported my RushCard lost in September of 2020 but I located my card no more than 5 min after the initial call to report lost and my card was blocked & as of this date they refuse to unblock my card. They telling me all types of garbage about verification issues and account not matching, well I relocated from Indiana and now live in Texas so of course my address is different from account but the craziest part is Rush blocked me from the Rush App so I can’t update my info. I’ve done everything they requested, I’ve sent in food stamp (Snap)documents, which was their recommendation. I’ve sent a written statement twice explaining my Identification situation which is an expired ID. It’s a pandemic and any Government office here in Texas has an outrageous appointment wait time meaning I set my appointment in September of 2020 but my date hasn’t arrived yet because it is set for 3/15/21, a six month gap.

I’ve since lost my apt and am now homeless. I sent the appointment invoice with confirmation number & my name on it, as told by RushCard but I am only rejected. So I said let me see something... I applied for an Brand New Rush card with my current address. The New Card was mailed & received by myself at my new address mind you. So I have 2 Rush Cards both have an active balance of my funds but I can’t withdraw from either. Why do UniRush need proof of address when they mailed me my new card & I received it?... Obviously they can see my social security number is associated with both cards. They are penalizing me for not remembering my account info (old phone number or email). This has been hell on Earth for myself & my family. Due to this “Ponzi Scheme” company we are homeless and I’ve gone thru hell. I really regret using Rush. This company is insensitive to its customers and UniRush is a scam.

I’ve contacted an attorney and may get more out of this than my account balance. I saved all my documents and correspondence mail between myself and Rush. Can’t talk to a real person about this very inconvenient and disrespectful act being performed by this rip off company. I want my funds released. I too will be contacting BBB and any other firm or Group that can assist me in not only re-gaining my funds but taking this company down. Scam artists UniRush, Greendot, & Metabank! I NEED MY MONEY. It’s not yours!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

Double fees!!! They charge a fee then the retailer charges a fee!!! You can’t talk to a person by phone unless you’ve lost your card!!! No live chat feature!!! If you get down to $0 balance and try to close your account, they send you a “scripted message” saying that the account will close eventually and of course they have “inactivity” fees so while you’re waiting for their system to close your account, you’re hit with an inactivity fee!!! These people belong in jail!!! I have contacted cfpb and Texas attorney general and lodged a formal complaint against them!!! My next action will be my attorney!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

I've been with Rush Card for a few years. Rush Card closed my previous account with no explanation of why. I was then told to order a new card. Once my new card arrived, magically, my old Rush Card was reopened. Now I have two Cards With Rush Card. HOWEVER, AS SOON AS MY DEPOSIT HIT MY ACCOUNT. RUSH CARD CLOSED MY ACCOUNT. I've contacted them for over a month now. I still having getting an explanation of why. Rush Card won't give me my money. Nothing has been fixed.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I have been with RushCard for over ten years just because of the offered two day early check option. I recently noticed I had 4 unrecognized transactions on my account. Contact RushCard and I am charged $30 for a new card to be delivered and I can’t access any of my money on top of the dispute. Has to be completed through a form and submitted before I can get compensated any kind of refund.. Sad thing about all of this is that I have my card on hand and these were all debit transactions except for a gas station purchase. Again this is no fault of my own but I’m now in the hole $130 and can’t access any money on my card and my rent is due and my phone bill. I’m very upset now. Don’t recommend this company. The customer service sucks. I couldn’t even dispute the pending charges on my account. Definitely not for the customer.

RushCard Company Information