2.52/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our mission is to provide our members with products and services that enable them to achieve financial goals. We give our members more control by allowing them to only spend what they load onto their prepaid Visa RushCard.

RushCard is a tool that you can use for both day-to-day purchases and deposits or long-term saving. Our Direct Deposit program allows members with qualifying deposits to receive their funds up to two days early. You can choose from two different plan options and seven card options.

RushCard Gallery (6)
CBBB Rating
View More View More

4508 RushCard Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: March 20, 2019

With RushCard, I like that I don't have to carry a lot of cash. Anytime I get deposits, I just deposit it as well. I mostly pay my bills through my card. Using it is not inconvenient at all. But when I first got it, I didn’t know how to get the routing number. Then I spoke to the team at RushCard and they helped me with my questions, which was good. They had everything done right then and there. Since using it, my finances have been good.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have direct deposit with RushCard. I didn’t have any kind of cards before so it was mostly cash that I was dealing with. Since I got my RushCard, it’s been way better because I can make my payments with the card and I don’t have to deal with cash. Everything is taken care of through the card so it’s better for me. Their customer service has been very helpful. They take care of whatever problem I have and they try to do their best to find a way to make it easier for me. They do it right away too so I don’t have any complaints. When I had an incident involving my PIN, it was taken care of. I talked to my friends and told them about RushCard. Some people are very concerned about it and they really don’t think about it. They go mostly with the credit cards from the banks. But both my daughters have RushCards.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I’ve been with Rush since 2007 and I use to tell everyone how good this card was but recently my experience with them has been horrible. I recently did a bill payment thru my online Rush account. The merchant never received the payment. I’ve called Rush customer service several times only to be given 10 different stories. No one can tell me where my money is or provide me with any proof that the payment was sent other than they debited the money from my account. It has been 10 days now and I've still have no resolution or information on where my $364 are or when will my money will be put back into my account. They love telling you they appreciate you being a member but offer No type of assistance in helping a valued customer resolve a issue they created. I will now discontinue all my direct deposit and never use this company again.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I’ve been calling customer service for about a week about my referral credit. 6 representatives later I’m told the same thing. Wait 24-48 hours when actually I never should have to call in the first place. They continue to give me the run around and most of the time they can’t even understand me and I can’t understand them because they aren’t fluent in English. To this day I haven’t received my credit.

Hi Shavaun,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I liked the designs on the cards of RushCard and I’ve been using it for two years now. I had one issue where a transaction was debited from my card without my consent and the problem was investigated. I sent them a letter in writing.

RushCard response

Hello Danny, Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. We value your business and thank you for allowing us to assist you with your financial needs. Feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns you'd like to discuss.

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RushCard?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 12, 2019

I was introduced to RushCard in 2018. I enjoyed it at first, then money started missing out of my account every time I would log in. My fees started changing as far as what I paid to get the extra stuff on my account when I was informed it would be one set rate. Since 2018 my account has been hacked twice and no money was returned to me. RushCard is the worst company I could have given my business to. Their customer service is horrible and so is the turnaround time on getting answers!! I am leaving this company TODAY!!!

Hi Kim,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 10, 2019

I been trying to get my last 3 mos. of bank statements. Can't get no assistance. Can't even talk to anyone. Just recordings. I need to talk to a human person. I need bank statements - unable to do so. I need to talk to someone in customer service. I don't even have a correct phone number.

Hi Marquita,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that your issued was resolved. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I'm disabled. My social security money was stolen off my card. RushCard told me they was going to get my money back. They lied to me. Didn't help me get none of money back. RushCard use disabled people and don't help you. I can't walk. I got bone disease and they said they are not giving me my money??? I wish I never heard of RushCard.

Hi Ebony,

Original review: March 8, 2019

So I don't know if RushCard users are aware but now RushCard is issuing out cards with chips. They are collecting all old cards by having the ATM confiscate them and making its users pay a $35 dollar fee to get a new card. I will explain how I came up with this conclusion. I've been a customer since 2009! Yesterday I went to take my money off of my card to pay my landlord rent, yes my rent. The ATM machine at Wawa's took my card and told me to contact my financial institution. Of course I called right away but like always you have to pretend you are a new customer to even speak with customer service so I did. The rep just kept telling me that she would issue me a new card.

I need to pay my rent. I don't need a new card at this point. I was livid because when they send you a new card they freeze your account. Before I hung up the phone my boyfriend grabbed the phone and said "does the new cards have chips". The rep said "yes" so he says "that's why they took the card, the old ones are obsolete". She tried to say something but at this point we hung up. I tried everything to transfer the funds. I tried sending it to my bank but it takes days to upload. I even tried the RushCard services but all they do is send the person a check days later.

Today 3/7/2019 I've decided to just order another card. I called the RushCard and told them yet again what happened. The person informed me that she can send me a new card but I had to pay $35 dollars. I told her I wasn't paying the $35 dollars because I didn't lose my card. It was taken by machine. The rep told me that was the only way she could rush me out a card. I asked to speak to her boss and she informed me before she connected me to him that he would say the same thing. I'm beyond livid at this point. I told her to just connect me. I spoke to him and like she said he told me the same thing. He tells me because I lost my card they have to issue me a new one and if I want it right away then it will cost me $35. Then he tries to switch it up and say the card was compromised!?

Why do I have to pay $35 dollars for something that clearly isn't my fault. I want to know who is going to pay for my late fee charges because now my rent is late. I wanted them to send my funds to another card but they could only send it to another RushCard. I wanted them to send it to my bank but he said it's a prepaid. It's not through a bank. So what is MetaBank... an entity!?!? At this point I just wanted my money. I told him more than once that I needed my card now and he kept telling me $35. I told him just send it. I got an email saying it will be sent in 7 to 10 business days. When I say I'm done... I'M DONE!

Hi Tareamia,

Original review: March 8, 2019

I thought of using RushCard when I was banking with Bank of America. Somebody tried to steal my money and I didn’t wanna deal with banks anymore. I saw the RushCard commercial and I liked that you get paid two days early. It was also easy using the direct deposit option. The reps helped me out a lot when I talked to them. I would recommend RushCard.

RushCard response

Hello Quentina, Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. We value your business and thank you for allowing us to assist you with your financial needs. Feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns you'd like to discuss.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I been with this company since 2005 and never had a serious issue with them until March 2, 2019... I was scheduled to receive my tax refund on March 6, 2019. I received a text message from RushCard to pls call regarding a deposit I was gonna receive for more info. I called on March 2nd and was not informed I need to send additional document when a deposit is over a certain amount... I was just told I have an IRS refund pending for March 6... and that's all. I called March 6 to see why my funds wasnt released stated it was sent back to IRS due to I didn't send my documents in... Smh now I have to wait to have my refund Mailed to me... IRS stated it can take up to 10 weeks and they never heard of a bank wanting you to send in extra documents when you been with the company that long. I will not do business with RushCard ever again.

Hi Roxie,

We understand that your funds are important to you. We would like to look further into this and we'll be in touch with you through the information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I saw RushCard advertised on either TV or Instagram and I’ve been using it since 2013 for online purchases, easy access to my account and my balances with the app. I also have the availability of my deposits early. I have the app on my phone so, I can put my four-digit code in and then, it shows me everything. I do direct deposit more because it’s automatic but I load money on there just as much. I don’t know what contract RushCard has got with the ATMS just inside of Walgreens but they’re always free and I love that. I’ve recommended RushCard. My mom just got her credit union account with them.

RushCard response

Hello Chaundra, Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. We value your business and thank you for allowing us to assist you with your financial needs. Feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns you'd like to discuss.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 6, 2019

I've been with RushCard for 15 years now and I've never had a problem with them. They do a good job. My money is there when it's supposed to be there. Also, since being with them, I have been able to manage my money better. The only thing about RushCard is that in the 15 years that I've been with them, I haven't won a dime from their contests like for the back to school and tax time.

Hi Rhonda,

Original review: March 5, 2019

Updated on 03/09/2019: This company lied to me about my account. I have complained about them and to make themselves look good online I was assured my account would be credited and that was not the outcome. I am extremely upset and would like to file a lawsuit against the company and formally file a complaint against RushCard. My credit was not given even as promised by the company and several customer service agents and supervisors that will have a definitive provisional credit put in my account. Today I have called several time. Again was assured to wait until the end of the day. No credit still available now. They said that I will not receive a credit and failed after several attempts not receiving any credit.

Original Review: I am highly upset with the customer service that I have been giving someone use my car without my knowledge. I disputed the transaction. I've submitted the paperwork on time. They only give you one option to send paperwork for you to send back to them in order for you to receive provisional credit and it is only the option for you to send jpeg. I am walking. I have six children. I am a single mother. I work 6 days a week. I work over 50 hours a week. I submitted the proper paperwork on time but because my documents were screenshotted and not use from a JPEG they will not accept my forms and provide my provisional credit. I have been trying to feed my kids for days now and I've been going back and forth with customer service and supervisor. I am highly offended.

I don't trust this company with my money. I have cried. I have complained. I have not gotten any help or answers to how to resolve this problem properly. I told him I don't have access to a fax machine. I don't have access to a printer or a computer. I need my money back and it's been days and it's been over eight days. I have not got any help and they refused to help. They keep telling me that there is no one else to talk to in the corporate office only customer service. I don't understand how you can trust somebody with all your heart or money for you to only talk to one person and customer service they would even allow me to read speak to the dispute Department and I am heartbroken and I am upset. I will never ever refer anyone to this company that I know.

Hi Katisia,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I love using RushCard. I've had mine for about ten years now and it has been easy to use. With it, I've managed my finances better and I don’t have to worry about overdraft fees. I have my direct deposit from my job directed on there and it’s more convenient than worrying about bank accounts. I have a checking account but I mostly use the RushCard when I do different things online. However, I had an issue wherein a company I ordered from put me in a VIP program that I never asked for and they were taking money every month off of my card without me knowing. I found that out when I checked my balance and noticed that it was different from the day before. I also received an alert recently that somebody used my card, but nobody has it but me. So, I did the online banking and checked, and then I ended up getting a new card. It was really easy doing that.

Hi Carolyn,

RushCard

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had NetSpend but I had trouble with them. I tried RushCard and I like them. I’m going to get the direct deposit for it. When I pay some of my bills with my card, RushCard doesn't hesitate to pay them unlike NetSpend.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I was with NetSpend before and I didn’t like some of the services that they were giving me. Also, I tried to put an authorized user on the account and they blocked my whole account. After that experience, I needed a new company. That was when I saw RushCard in an online advertisement. I liked their little fees and stuff better. I applied for one of the cards and it came. I just started having my benefits direct deposit there. Their monthly fees are cheaper and I don’t get charged to use my card every time I’m shopping or ordering something online. I also have no difficulties paying. Everywhere I go, RushCard is accepted. Whatever bill I pay, like my Edison and my Southwest Gas bills, I have no problems.

I used the reloading locations a couple of times too and it was easy. I just go to the cash register, swipe my card, and let them know how much I wanna add. They charge me a little, around $3 or $4-fee. There are four reloading locations right by my house. RushCard is wonderful and I like them. I referred them to six people already.

Resolution response: March 8, 2019

After submitting my complaint the company resolved the problem within a few days which was greatly appreciated after struggling with it for several weeks

Original review: March 2, 2019

Had to order a new card and it was sent to my old address. Updating info online didn't work so was told to fax copies of ID, SS card & recent bill. After doing so was told my verifications were declined. Resubmitted and was told it was declined again due to "unclear" copy of ID. Faxed these items with brand new copying machine so I can't make it any clearer. I feel as if my money is being held hostage. Have been a customer for years and have never had a problem until now. Not only will they not update my address but I can't order a new card or close the account to get my money back without a "clear" copy of my ID. What I submitted was perfectly clear both times. Have been dealing with this for weeks now. Absolutely ridiculous. I am at a loss as to how to get my money. Was told I can't talk to corporate. Am considering getting an attorney and also contacting the Better Business Bureau.

Hi Tina,

We’re glad that we were able to address the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Thank you!

Original review: March 2, 2019

I don’t do online purchases with my RushCard. Last time I did that, somebody got a hold of my card and took $20 off of it. I ordered a new card and everything was good with their customer service.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for providing your feedback. We’re glad to hear getting your replacement card was hassle free. If you ever need a replacement card in the future we encourage you to report your card as soon as possible. You can do this by calling the number on the back of your card and utilizing our automated system. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I've been using this card since last year with zero problems. Now that my entire income tax check has been deposited along with my payroll checks, as of 3 days ago I cannot use my card! I've tried ATMs, Walmart, gas stations, and even gone into banks to pull money off. My card will not work anywhere. I tried requesting a new card, the prompt does not work. I tried contacting customer service and they just keep telling me they can't access any accounts right now. I have bills and rent due and $8,500 I cannot get to!!! I want my money NOW.

Hi Shaine,

We’re glad that your issue was resolved. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Original review: March 1, 2019

I enrolled in direct deposit for my job over a month ago and was receiving my paycheck later than I was before the switch and later than all other employees. I also used my RushCard for my income tax refund to be direct deposited and was sent on Feb 27 2019 and still no deposit as of now Feb 29 2019 at 1:22 am. So much for the advertising of 2 days earlier. Didn't work for my payroll check or my income tax refund. I will not be using any card associated with MetaBank after this.

Hi Heather,

Original review: March 1, 2019

Have Been A Member for 11 years. This year so far has been worst for customer service. Calls are 55 min wait then they know nothing. Very disappointed this year. Not to mention there's never pending info. Deposits are getting later and later and they can never answer direct questions and there's never a manager or supervisor available. Thinking of other options.

Hi Marleena,

We understand your concern. Please send us a private message so we can provide further assistance.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I have been with RushCard for a few years on and off and this year I got my tax refund deposited which they told me I had to be verified and send in documents, documents are sent and still have no update on my refund. I have been calling and getting different answers which is very frustrating. I need every penny of my money ASAP. Why is they holding the money? I will not be doing business with RushCard anymore. I have bills!!!

Hi Quany,

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 1, 2019

I’ve had RushCard since I was seven as I wasn’t able to get an account at that time. I use their direct deposit to manage my finances better and it's great. I like the deposit beforehand too. But it’s very irritating every time I call RushCard. They repeat themselves and make unnecessary conversation. I also asked them to stop acknowledging the fact that I’ve been with them since I was seven. Their hold time has gotten a little better within the last year, though.

Hi Toya,

We would like to thank you for your positive feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you have concerns when speaking with customer service. We want all of our cardholders to have a good customer service experience when calling in. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I’ve been dealing with them since 2015. My refund was suppose to appear in my account. I've been using for four years now. Because of the amount I have to verify it's me. I can see if I don't get deposits. I get them every 2 weeks. Now it's a problem. They keep rejecting my faxes to them!!! ** Rush.

RushCard response

Hi Demmi. We understand your concern. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I will never use RushCard again for my taxes. I faxed in the paperwork to them. 'Cause I knew my taxes was over the limit they require. My taxes was scheduled to post yesterday. I called to find out why and I the customer service rep couldn’t understand English. As well as couldn’t speak English. Only for them to say they sent it back to the IRS. Then to say they can’t keep it no more than 3-5 business days. I said, "Well it hasn’t been that long." They then gave me a email to address the issue. Only for me to send the email and then to respond and say call RushCard to handle this. Never will use them.

RushCard response

Hi Hisprecious .We understand that your funds are important to you. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I have been a very faithful customer of Rush since 2015. Since I been involved it's been nothing but headaches. The first few times it was resolved and I thought to myself ok they're not that bad but as soon as income taxes were deposit I had so much funds taking out of my account of course after my online orders. And I say that because they try to confuse you as if you don't keep count and when they were confronted by myself I spoke to several supervisors and they still continue to think that I was just miscounting, I have pictures of my account how I keep track through text but unfortunately I cannot submit them here. To keep the very long story short still haven't been resolved and I don't recommend rush for anyone especially tax season. They do not well conduct your funds correctly.

RushCard response

Hi Shanae. We understand your concern. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have had RushCard for quite some time now. I have my direct deposit to the card for the past year. This year I got my tax refund deposited. Of course because it's over a certain amount they request certain documents. Now I understand why you want to verify but RushCard is asking for information that to me should be against protocol. My 1040 form, my ID, my social card. They don't even request personal information to open up the card but because the IRS sent me my return you have the right to ask for these documents. I've provided everything and it's always something else. Now send this. No send this. We want this. I don't think the IRS is just sending fraud returns especially if all the information on my return matches the records they have on file for my account such as address, social, telephone number, email. It has been a back and forward game since I received an email saying my return is pending. This is not customer service.

RushCard response

Hi Cheri. We understand your funds are important to you. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

My entire tax refund was deposit on my Rush. $7183.00 and the my entire refund was stolen out account. I want my money. I tried to contact customer service. No help. I just don't know what to do at this point.

RushCard response

Hi Kiana. We understand your concern. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I am trying to contact RushCard after I went to load my card at CVS. 40 mins later I still cant get in touch with them and money is not on my card... NO ONE IS ANSWERING PHONE. I'm calling 18662326778 and 18667874227... Can I get any help?

RushCard response

Hi Tamela. We understand your concern. Please send us a private message so we can further assist you. Thank you.

RushCard expert review by Barbara Friedberg

RushCard is a prepaid Visa card that lets consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used for purchases similar to the way a debit card is used.  It allows consumers to pay bills, set up recurring payments, transfer money and perform other banking services. RushCard offers FDIC-insured Visa prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards are FDIC-insured. Note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa logo on the RushCard. Visa is the payment processor for the card.

• Set up alerts: Set up text or email alerts to stay aware of your balance and recent transactions.

• Mobile App: Use the mobile app to check your balance, view transactions and transfer money. There is no charge for the app, and it’s available for download in the iPhone App Store, Google Play or the Amazon store.

• Convenience: RushCard has over 23,000 Fee-Free MoneyPass ATMs for consumers to withdraw money quickly and easily. Note there could be a fee, depending on the plan you choose.

• One-time card fee: This fee ranges from $3.95 to $9.95, depending on the card design you choose.

• Plan options: RushCard offers two plan options. The first is the Rush Unlimited Fee Plan, which has a monthly fee ($5.95 if you use direct deposit; $7.95 if you don’t). If you choose this plan, you don’t pay fees on signature and PIN transactions. The second is a Pay As You Go Plan, which does not charge a monthly fee but rather charges one dollar each for signature and PIN transaction. With either plan there are other fees to consider, so read the Fee Chart that RushCard has provided on their website.

• Zero debt: Consumers use the card as a cash card, so it doesn't allow debt to add up.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need a way to make purchases and pay their bills.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg