2.86/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Our mission is to provide our members with products and services that enable them to achieve financial goals. We give our members more control by allowing them to only spend what they load onto their prepaid Visa RushCard.

RushCard is a tool that you can use for both day-to-day purchases and deposits or long-term saving. Our Direct Deposit program allows members with qualifying deposits to receive their funds up to two days early. You can choose from two different plan options and seven card options.

Views and opinions expressed are those of the reviewers and do not necessarily reflect those of RushCard or MetaBank.

RushCard Gallery (4)
B-BBB Rating
View More View More

4829 RushCard Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: July 29, 2019

I’ve been with RushCard since 2007 and it's been pretty good. I rarely dispute. But if I do, that means there's a reason why. I’m in a battle right now disputing something. I made reservations at a hotel, canceled it within enough time, got the cancelation number, but was still charged. I called the hotel so many times, couldn’t get ahold of anyone, ended up disputing it, and the money was put right back on my card. But I’ve been trying to talk to someone about that because I canceled it and they told me that they see the error on their end. They sent me an email and I printed it out, signed it, and faxed it over to them. I don’t know how they came up with the conclusion declining my dispute.

This has been going on since April and they just put the money back on my card last week. I called RushCard and I spoke to two people. I asked for a supervisor because one guy was helpful, but there wasn’t much he could do. He transferred me to someone else and that person was rude as ever. They put me on hold and never came back. I work so I couldn't just be on hold. I have yet to receive a call from a manager. I’m gonna dispute it again because I’m not gonna pay for that. I will be speaking with someone today about it.

Other than that, I love my RushCard. I like the fact that it doesn't overdraft. If you don’t have the money, you don’t have it. I don’t like accounts where they allow you to overdraft then they hit you with all those overdraft fees even if it was a dollar or if it was fraud or something could’ve happened. I had an account with Navy Federal and the whole bank got hacked. It was just a mess and they ended up telling me I had to pay for stuff that I didn’t even do. Why was I gonna pay $700 when their bank was hacked? I’ve been with RushCard since I signed up with them because I haven't had any problems. They've always been pleasant and good. And I hardly ever call them because I rarely have too many issues. But when I do, they take care of me. I’ll definitely recommend RushCard to my friends. All my friends all have it. We all send money to each other and everything.

Hello Kiristen,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss your dispute concerns. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

RushCard

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2019

With RushCard, I like how I get my benefit early. I receive direct deposit through it and whenever it comes through, I get notifications. However, I had an issue wherein I made an order online and I was double-charged but then I didn't know. I had a hard time getting my funds back. The dispute department was late to send me the documents as they stated and so I took matters into my own hands and talked to the merchant and tried to solve the issue. But then, RushCard told me to let the dispute department handle the situation because at that point, I had filed a dispute.

Another issue is that whenever I call RushCard, there's always someone different that answers the phone. Sometimes I have to repeat why I'm calling and the reps tell me they're going to notate my account or they're going to send information over and that I should check back in a certain time frame. In the double charging situation, I was frustrated because it was where I was constantly being charged and I didn't understand how that was so when my card was actually cancelled and they were sending me a replacement. The reps told me that the merchant has a way to push the payment. Despite these issues, RushCard is a great card to have because my funds are available earlier. They let me know what places I can go to, and they won’t charge me out-of-network fees.

Hello Dominica,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We value the opportunity to help people with their financial needs and do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks. We hope that you continue to enjoy your RushCard and all of it's great features. Thank you so much for being a loyal customer.

Regards,

RushCard Customer Service

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I use RushCard for Amazon all the time as well as for my bills and everything else. I wanted to start putting half of my disability money on one card and half on another, so I got a second RushCard. That way, I can pay my bills and still have a bit of savings. If I have any to save, I can already have it in the second card. For some reason, I was sent a check on my disability this month and I tried to get it deposited so that I could pay bills on the 1st. I didn’t get to do that and I wasn't pleased. The feature where I can take a picture of the check and deposit it doesn't work and Ingo doesn’t have anybody to talk to. If you can’t talk to a person at any time while you’re trying to deposit over $1000, that’s not a good deal.

I told RushCard Ingo doesn’t work and they shouldn’t use them. The manager got on the phone, apologized, and said they don’t have it set up right yet, but they will. The manager cared enough to talk to me about it and I was pleased. RushCard is great. They're always offering some classes and I would like to get into that, but I don’t have a lot of time to get into it and I haven’t done it yet.

Last night, my Credit One credit card wouldn’t let me take the money out of my RushCard to pay my bill because I paid it twice. I had extra money and thought I might as well put it on my credit card. I thought they wanted to put two small deposits on it and I got upset at the credit card company. I didn’t understand what was going on and I had to call RushCard so many times the day before yesterday. Their reps work with me on anything. Even if I am gripey, they work with me no matter what and that’s why I like them. Some people will just hang up on you, and they don’t. I can’t understand what some of them are saying and that gets a little irritating, but they work very hard to please. When I get upset about my money, I'm hard to deal with and the reps are very good and sweet.

I’ve recommended several people to RushCard, but there are a lot of people who don’t know anything about it. They’re leery and I try to tell them that RushCard is very good to work with. I’m also always telling them they need to get RushCard because they really help you out and when you go to an ATM, you can withdraw more than $300. They don’t bother your money and you get to use your money how you want to. If I get a friend to get a RushCard, I can get 30 bucks. They’re a very good card.

RushCard response

Hi Alisa. Thank you for providing this feedback. We need insight like this to make us aware of how our members feel and to know what we can do to make our members experience that much better. We are pleased to know you are enjoying your RushCard and the features the card has to offer!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I use RushCard for everything and I started with it in 2009. I do direct deposits through my job and I get paid two days faster than everybody else. Sometimes, when you’re a single mom, week to week, payday to payday, you can’t make it. So, I do have that cushion with them to get my paychecks sooner. You also can't overdraft, which is perfect. Then, sometimes, at the beginning of the year, they waive your fee for two or three months -- it depends. My first card was black and gold and it has M's on it, and I liked it. While credit cards are sideways, RushCard's are up and down so even if somebody tries to get your credit card numbers, they couldn’t because the cards were not the same.

I have one inconvenience with RushCard, however. I recently don’t have insurance protection so I have transportation issues. If I wanted to get an Uber or Lyft, I won’t be able to do it with RushCard. You have to have a credit or debit card. That kind of sucks because all of my money goes on that card. Then, if I have to deal with customer service, it’s all bad. It doesn't matter what time of day or night you call, you'll never get anyone who speaks English. I hate to have to dispute something. That’s why I downloaded the app on my phone. If I get an alert of my balance, it sends me a text.

I also hate the ATM fees. If you load this card, sometimes you pay $3.00, sometimes it's $3.95, and something it's up to $5.95. I've been using RushCard for over 10 years, why am I still paying to load the card? If nobody else showed them loyalty, I have. Sometimes there's conflict when you get paid on the 28th and they take out $5.95 on the first and you’re like, “Damn it.” But it’s a benefit. There are a few pluses and minuses. If you take the good with the bad, you’ll be alright. Get a RushCard. It's really convenient. All my friends have it and they got their referral from me.

RushCard response

Hi Mada. Thank you for providing this feedback. We need insight like this to make us aware of how our members feel and to know what we can do to make our members experience that much better. Please know that when reloading your card with a cash load at a merchant, the fees associated are charged by the merchant. You can find more information about the fees associated with cash loads on your online account under the 'Fund Account' tab. Also, to find a fee free ATM near you please use our ATM locator on the website as well. You can find the ATM locator here: https://www.rushcard.com/atm-locator. We hope this helps.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

RushCard is not like everybody else. Whatever you put on your card belongs to you, especially if you do unlimited. With other companies, even if you do unlimited, they still charge you stuff. Your money is your money, and that’s a beautiful thing with RushCard. You sign up for text alerts and you also get emails. You can also go online or call them and they can give you the exact time your money hits your card, so you know exactly what time to expect it. With other cards, I would get my money one week at 9:00 in the morning, then the following week, it would come at 10:00, and the time keeps changing. If you get paid 24 times, each time it’s gonna be different ‘cause there are 24 hours in a day and that’s ridiculous. RushCard is more consistent and they have a very good understanding about things pertaining to you.

They also litigate for me better than the other cards. With other cards, people will say you have to wait. There’s a 30-day hold on your money even though you didn’t get the product. RushCard doesn’t do that. They literally call the people. The online process is very convenient and not complicated at all. My son understands it, and he has understood it for a while because I have two cards and I gave the other one to him. At that time when I gave it to him, he was 14.

I used to use the direct deposit option, but now I have a problem with it because RushCard only gives us a limit. With that limit, I was having a problem with actual banks. I went to the bank and I took out my money. It was about $9,000 and I was only allowed to put $950 on. So, they said I had to come back the next day. I came back the next day and I couldn’t get any more on it. I had to buy a money order to hold my money. Nevertheless, when they answer the phone, they're like, “What can I do to make your day greater?” They’ve always been very understanding and they're not disrespectful like some people. When they were updating their system a couple of years ago, they messed up people’s accounts. They fixed it, but they also gave restitution after that which they didn't have to do but they did. I’ve referred so many people to them because it's awesome.

RushCard response

Hi Pamela. Thanks for sharing your experience with RushCard. We are pleased to know you are enjoying your card and all the features it has to offer. We appreciate your feedback.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about RushCard?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I would rather do any card beside them. Now Banks can pause their cards as well and not charge $75 a year. And doesn’t promise to give you your check in two days early. Then the crazy thing is you guys can’t even review when a card has been declined as I was told by customer service. You guys make promises to people about referrals and lied about that... #SHUT THEM DOWN.

Good Morning Kiara,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I’ve had RushCard for a few years. I used it because of the early pay. Also, the customer service was always pleasant and the reps were knowledgeable. I liked RushCard a lot more when I first got it in 2014 or 2015, but I’m no longer a member because there are too many fees, especially when I go to the ATM.

Hello Kayla,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We hope you decide to remain a RushCard customer. We really appreciate your business. We will have a Customer service agent reach out to you and discuss your concerns.

Look forward to speaking with you.

Thanks,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Please whatever you do never use this card. They are nothing but a bunch of scammers that want to hold your money. I am going to sue them. They claim they don’t know the number to their corporate office. No one speaks English. It is really bad. I will never recommend anyone to them.

Hello Yvonne,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

Update: I was just denied my dispute and I have provided all the documents that this place asked for. I also received a call in which I recorded the women who stole my money and she admitted to stealing my money. There was an employee who informed me that my funds were insured by the FDIC but I am unable to get my money because the person who stole my money no longer has a balance in their account to give me my money back but my funds are insured by FDIC. Wow. If so I will have my money and I would have to go through none of this in which I am going through. I will remove my direct deposit from RushCard and I will advise anyone to do the same as well.

Original Review: Well my account was compromised and someone had transferred money into their account from mines numerous times while I was in the hospital. I did a dispute, today marks the tenth day and I'm waiting to see if I get my provisional credit like I was promised. This situation outcome is decided if I stay with the RushCard and not file a lawsuit against them if they get who did this. Which they know who did it because it was transferred into their account and who in their right mind would send someone money that many times unless it was being compromised. I need a full investigation done on my account and I would like my provisional credit that is due to me because I have waited ten days like you asked. Please don't make me file a lawsuit against Russell Simmons. Stars will go up if I receive the credit.

Hello Michael,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I have been with Rushcard since 2009. I have had more than one card from them. One of my card was stolen from me so I called to canceled the card. Got a different card one day. I went online and noticed that I had money on the card that was stolen. RushCard never notified me. Nothing. Mind you this happen in 2014 when my card was stolen. I didn’t find about the money until 2016 so I called them. They told They would blocked the card and send me a check for the money which they gave me a time frame which I never receive it during that time frame.

They steady were taking money for a monthly fee which I was told they would because the card wasn’t valid so I called almost every week which I was given the same story until I had enough and spoke with a supervisor who had to end blocking the card and sent what was left which I felt like it was completely unfair but now I’m noticing that instead of taking the original monthly fee of 5.95 they are taking 7.95 which I was never informed about by no type of communication so I called to find out why so tell me it’s because I don’t receive constant deposits to the account.

Mind you me and my fiancé have the same card same set up but they only take the original 5.95 for her. I feel like this is very disrespectful and unfair to the point I’m considering leaving them as well as my fiancé. My sister left them because they were robbing her blind and wasn’t trying to give her money back for unauthorized charges. You guys are not a real bank yet you guys have more fees and charges than an actual bank. I am very disappointed as well as disgusted with your service and to top off the representatives very unprofessional one. He didn’t put on hold while I requested a supervisor. He put me on mute and it wasn’t until I said something about it is when he decided to put me on a proper hold. I am very upset about my experience with you guys. This is very uncalled for on so many levels.

Hello Tasha,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your account. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

We look forward to speaking with you!

RushCard expert review by Barbara Friedberg

RushCard is a prepaid Visa card that lets consumers load their own money onto the card. The card can then be used for purchases similar to the way a debit card is used.  It allows consumers to pay bills, set up recurring payments, transfer money and perform other banking services. RushCard offers FDIC-insured Visa prepaid cards. This is important because not all prepaid cards are FDIC-insured. Note that prepaid cards do not help you build credit even though you’ll see a Visa logo on the RushCard. Visa is the payment processor for the card.

• Set up alerts: Set up text or email alerts to stay aware of your balance and recent transactions.

• Mobile App: Use the mobile app to check your balance, view transactions and transfer money. There is no charge for the app, and it’s available for download in the iPhone App Store, Google Play or the Amazon store.

• Convenience: RushCard has over 23,000 Fee-Free MoneyPass ATMs for consumers to withdraw money quickly and easily. Note there could be a fee, depending on the plan you choose.

• One-time card fee: This fee ranges from $3.95 to $9.95, depending on the card design you choose.

• Plan options: RushCard offers two plan options. The first is the Rush Unlimited Fee Plan, which has a monthly fee ($5.95 if you use direct deposit; $7.95 if you don’t). If you choose this plan, you don’t pay fees on signature and PIN transactions. The second is a Pay As You Go Plan, which does not charge a monthly fee but rather charges one dollar each for signature and PIN transaction. With either plan there are other fees to consider, so read the Fee Chart that RushCard has provided on their website.

• Zero debt: Consumers use the card as a cash card, so it doesn't allow debt to add up.

• Best for: Those who can’t get a traditional bank account but need a way to make purchases and pay their bills.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg