2. Finance

Green Dot Prepaid Cards
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5
Based on 1,129 ratings submitted in the last year

Green Dot Bank = Extreme value! Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation is the pioneering tech company that's reinventing the banking industry to provide simple financial products for the masses. With innovations like Green Dot @ the Register and the Green Dot Reloadable Prepaid Card, we're changing the way people interact with money, and challenging conventional thinking about what a bank can be. It pays to bank with Green Dot as you’ll get 3% cash back on online and in-app purchases, your pay up to 2 days early and federal benefits up to 4 days early, no overdraft fees or bounced check fees, and free reloads at retailers nationwide. Download our Green Dot app to get started.

Green Dot Gallery (4)
View More View More
Green Dot Prepaid Cards Learn More

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I’ve had this card for a while now. It's working out pretty good. My paydays are earlier than before. The app is awesome because I can put stuff in my Stash. Even if I have a car payment coming out of it, they can’t take the money off of there, even if it’s in my Stash and there’s enough. I’ve enjoyed that because then they have to call me, and I could tell them that they can take it. As soon as I switch it over, I don’t have to wait a tremendous long time to use it. I’m really impressed with the card.

The one thing that I ran into with this card was when they have promotions going around. For example, I'm only up to 100 with my cashback tracker, and then there was a time when they were having a promotion where it was up to 2, if not plus. But it didn't work for me like that. I can’t sign up for them because I’m already a cardholder. They should email cardholders or shoot us a text to tell us if they have this promotion going around, and then provide the promo code. I’m a faithful cardholder that uses this card for my work, my direct deposits, and it’s my everyday card.

Last year, I used the card for my income tax. They had some promotion going around last year where you could get so much money if you use this card for Green Dot. But I couldn’t do it because I’m already a cardholder. So that kinda sucks. And then I tried doing it one time, and they sent me another card. Also, whenever I go to certain places, I can’t use my card there because they’ll charge me twice. I don’t get why that does that. We have a Trex in Trimble that does it often. I’ll go in there to get gas and spend 50 bucks, but when I looked again, it charged me 50 bucks before I even pumped my gas.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I am grateful for the ability to use the card in all the different ways. To pay bills and to be able to use it online. I have recommended using this to others. I just wish that there weren't any fees at ATM's for cash. I try very hard not to do that. I don't want to have to pay to get my own money. Thank you.

Hello Jayne,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you or leave a voicemail. Please contact us via Private Message at your earliest convenience so we can assist you with resolving your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: July 18, 2019

I like this card n app. EXCEPT FOR the limit on daily withdrawals from ATM. I get my payroll check to this card. The other day I tried taking out 1400 from an ATM and it wouldn't let me. It even locked my card from use on any ATM. Very inconvenient and this made a huge problem for me because I get off late from work and had to pay my rent. This issue made me late on my rent from not being able to withdrawal. And I had to pay a late fee of $195.00. I was very upset about this and I was reading online that this app will not give you a higher ATM withdrawal limit. I want to know why. If it's money why are you making it so hard to get my money out for any use. 500 limit is not enough.

Hello Elizabeth,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you. However, we left you a voicemail that contained our direct contact information. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so that we may assist you with resolving your concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 20, 2019

At first I was skeptical about getting my child's survivor benefits on a pre-paid card due to security reasons and also I was nervous that it would not be eligible for loading government funds (if you receive government money, you will know how picky the state is as to what banks they will allow to access funds from them) but being that I did not want to have a checking account with paper checks I decided that it would be worth it for me to try and see if a Green Dot card would work for me and my son. If you have ever had to apply for survivors benefits for your child you know that it can most definitely be a lengthy process especially if there are other children from different relationships being as you all need to file at the same time and the first parent of a child that files starts a 90 day time clock for all other parents with children that have a common parent.

So after a lengthy six months I decided to call and find out why it is that I still had not received any payment for my son. After about an hour and a half on the phone they came to the conclusion they never sent the money be sure they had no payment processing information. I then had to re-submit the routing and account number in order for them to go ahead and release funds I was then told it could be up to another thirty days before I received the payment as they had to do verification on the account. Well lo and behold the great get ur money faster green dot delivered the very next morning. I was so thrilled that here it is two years later and I'm still using that same card and same account and have no intention on changing that any time soon.

Hello Rashel,

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. We are so happy to hear you're enjoying our direct deposit feature. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to work with you. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Regards,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 13, 2019

My previous bank decided it would be a good idea to charge me me a monthly fee after I requested the account to be closed. I had already withdrawn my cash because of a security issue so I was charged 2 NSF fees because 1 I didnt have any cash to cover the monthly fee of 15 dollars and the other because there was no cash to cover the NSF fee they charged me for after knowing I had withdrawn my cash. Long story short I was switching jobs at the time and went to apply to a local bank and they informed me that I had a delinquency flagged under my name for non payment of a NSF fee.

So I started looking into other banks that I could get a card through that would allow direct deposit, I stumbled upon Green Dot at Walmart bought the card for 3 bucks deposited a little money on it and I was good to go. Setup was a breeze and customer service had me on and off the line in no more than 10 minutes tops, The app is amazing you can pay bills with direct pay order checks and transfer cash to other accounts so long as they are Green Dot. Even better they dont charge you to transfer cash to your savings and back other banks always charged me if I did it more than 7 or 8 times a month knowing you cant plan for the unexpected you can only prepare for it, Green Dot really gets it.

Not to mention if you have a direct deposit thats of a certain amount they wave the monthly charge. Green Dot is awesome because they get me my money up to 3 sometimes 4 days early after my employer releases payment. Even tax returns are easy using them. I got my taxes about 2 weeks before any of my friends did. If you're tired of all the other banks out there please give GreenDot a chance you wont regret it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: May 19, 2020

Somehow my account was flagged and blocked for Moneypak issues in Feb. I sent all documents and account was unblocked. My second account was then blocked and I sent another set of documents to email c3@greendot... as asked by resolution dept. I was told I would receive an answer within 3 days. Well it's been 3 months and both accounts are blocked again. I even sent a letter and copies of all documentation to the headquarters in Pasadena CA. I have a tracking number to prove they received it. They claimed they needed to verify my identity but they also sent me a new card for one of the accounts to which I cannot activate.

This all happened 3 months ago and I have not received any response. I want my prepaid accounts closed and my balances sent to me or my accounts to be unlocked so I can access my funds. I have my life savings in the unlimited account vault and cannot access that part of the system to see if my money is still there or not. Meanwhile I've been approved for a Green Dot credit card and my identity was verified no problem. Something is fishy here. Oh did I mention that they're still charging me a monthly fee for a service I cannot use and taking it from my balance every month?

Original review: May 18, 2020

So Green Dot block me out of my account and wont let me touch my money or get on the app or anything. I sit on hold for 4 hours everyday and nothing greendot is a scam. Greed dot is the worst card ever..

Original review: May 13, 2020

I NEED HELP. NO ONE ANSWER ME. I've been calling for two months. I have two accounts with you. I need to access my first account I ever opened with you guys. I need a new card for that account. I do not like that I can not talk to anyone.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I purchased a Green Dot Cash Back VISA Debit Card recently, and at first things were great: good app, no issues, easy setup, etc. Then about a week in, Green Dot dropped a bomb on me. Within minutes of my tax refund being deposited, my account was blocked/frozen due to suspicious activity. As a result, the $4K I’d just received and was counting on to support my family is frozen.

Per Green Dot, to unblock your card you need to submit a photo ID to confirm your identity. Well, my photo ID was stolen 4 days ago, and because of COVID-19 all of the DOL offices in WA are closed and a replacement license can only be had by ordering online and then waiting 10-14 days. I’m 2 days into that 10-14 days, have $8 to my name without my tax refund, and to top it off have two young stepchildren who need to eat and a wife with worsening multiple sclerosis. Suffice it to say, we will not last another 8-10 days without those funds. Green Dot: I understand your policies and the reason for them, but on a human level what you’re doing is so wrong. Please, do the right thing and give me immediate access to my funds. It’s the only right thing to do.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Updated on 7900100: They sold me a MoneyPak and I couldn't get it to work. I couldn't get a live person on the phone if my life depended on it. I finally got a refund by check today because they sold me a defective product. I was beginning to think the problem was me but I received a check that was short the fee. What the ____ did I pay the fee for just to get a refund short the fee.

Original review: I'm only writing to this to maybe get the attention of GreenDot. I bought a MoneyPak to Deposit to my Checking Account and the problems are endless. I just get a, "Sorry for the inconvenience but we can't do anything to help you." Get errors when I sign up for an account, get errors when I try to fill out their forms, Get emails returned undeliverable. What is the problem. I can't even get somebody on the phone. I just get run in circles. This is driving my nuts. I really feel like I must be broken. You shouldn't take peoples money and then go on vacation. Like how do I talk to a person. Dont say call this number that just sends you on endless prompts. It's upsetting to feel so aggravated by anything to do with GreenDot.

What do I have to do. Use snail mail to get a response from someone. There is nobody. Not Ralphs where I bought it either at the store or corporate that can help. Chime is the account I bought it for and they wont help. The only people that I can get on the phone can't do anything. A simple cash deposit that's all I want. What is sooo hard. I would avoid this company like the plague. It sucks to feel stuck with no way to get money. I don't want to say bad things about a company and If I can delete this after they work it out then I will. I wish there was a way to privately put my phone number.

Green Dot author review by Barbara Friedberg

Green Dot is a prepaid and reloadable debit card company that allows customers to pay rent and send out other payments. Green Dot’s products are sold at thousands of major retail locations in the U.S.

• Prepaid debit cards: The Green Dot Prepaid Visa and Load & Go Prepaid Visa cards are accepted everywhere Visa is accepted in the U.S.

• Pricing and fees: Purchase prices for Green Dot Prepaid cards start at $1.95. Monthly service fees are up to $7.95. ATM withdrawal fees are up to $3, and there is a $1 purchase fee per transaction. Cash reload fees can be up to $5.95.

• Reload options: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards. Consumers may directly deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Cash back rewards: The Cash Back Bank Visa Green Dot card earns 5% cash back on everyday purchases, up to $100 each year.

• Mobile app: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor