2.92/5
Based on 1,090 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Gallery (3)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

6141 Green Dot Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I’ve used Green Dot a couple times but never as a main source for my income. I like the ease of getting my Direct deposit a day early and also being able to write checks with this account. Paying my bills on time has been awesome with the Pay MyBill feature and now being able to stash money away in a separate account within my account has been great! Also loving the fact that I can earn cash back as it’s a nice bonus to have $100 to use at the end of the year. It would be great if we could increase this amount! Green Dot has been beneficial to me getting back on my feet with my finances and being able to take control once again!

Hi Jenna,

We loved reading your review and appreciate your feedback. We're so glad we're able to assist you in your financial needs. Your business is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

It's only been this past year that 2 of my rent checks had not been received by my landlord. I was able to contact customer service via their chat function for the first check back in March of this year. She was fantastic. I explained the situation (granted, a few times because of communication issues) and she was able to refund the money back to my account so I could re-send a new check. This month, it happened again. Got a call from the landlord stating that, as of today 10-12-18, the check I'd authorized to be sent on 09-28, was never received.

With no "stop payment" function available, I am stuck until I can get in contact with support. I've been trying and trying to access the chat function to get this resolved but it has been "closed". I can't afford to send another $1540 in the hopes I'll be refunded again later. I need a resolution as quickly as possible. Like I said previously, I've really had nothing but great experiences with this card. I am considering changing the bill pay though since there's really no accountability or, ability to track the "check" that is sent. You're basically sending a money order without the benefit of a receipt. :-/ Help?

Hi Amber,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I could not find a way to add more info to my original review so I am writing another. The company has corresponded and they have changed the deposit procedures, the app will now tell you the expected date that the check will post before you deposit it, and now it will give you the option to cancel the deposit based on the information provided. I would give 5 stars but I still have to wait till the 4th of September. I want to thank Consumer Affairs for their correspondence and getting the policy changed for a bank. I guess I'll give Green Dot another chance now that they did something positive for their customers.

Hi Nicholas,

We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to be your alternative to traditional banking. We also thank you for your recommendation. A recommendation from a satisfied customer is the best compliment we can get! Please feel free to send us a private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I’ve had a great experience with my Green Dot card. I love the direct deposit option and love that I can get alerts letting me know when a certain amount has been spent. I love the ease of keeping track of what and how I spend money. I also LOVE that I can stash money in the vault and unstash it when I need to. The only two complaints I have is where I live there isn’t an atm that doesn’t charge a big fee for withdrawals. If I want to make a withdrawal from an ATM I end up getting charged 6-8 bucks between the fee from the bank and the fee from green dot. The complaint is being charged to load my card. If I have a paycheck and take it to Walmart to cash I get charged a fee then I get charged another fee to load it on my card. I realize that may be on Walmart’s end and not green dot's but it is annoying to spend 7.00 just to load my card. Overall though I highly recommend the card!

Hi Joy,

We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to be your alternative to traditional banking. We also thank you for your recommendation. A recommendation from a satisfied customer is the best compliment we can get! Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

My time with the Green Dot Bank corporation has been pretty good. I don't have to much to complain on the service is good, there are multiple locations I can deposit or withdraw from, I really love the stash idea that's on there to simulate a savings, and the app is very useful for paying bills and etc. On the contrary I don't like the fees that come with it while withdrawing Money. I feel like it would please customers more if those were to be free at certain branches or just free in general. I understand you are a business first so I understand the plus side to it and you guys do compensate the user by allowing checks to hit accounts up to 2 days in advance but those fees are killer. All in all, you guys are a bank I plan on staying with for time to come and I appreciate the business even with the minor remarks about fees.

Hi Akia,

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 18, 2019

I wish I didn’t have to pay a monthly fee of $9.95. I wish I didn’t have to wait 12 months to receive cash back. I wish I didn’t have to pay an ATM fee at all the ATMs. I do like that I received my paycheck early.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone review your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have enjoyed my card so far. Have not really tried all the features but do far so good. No major complaints so far. Will try the savings feature soon and the member to member send money. We will see. I do like the loading ease. Haven't tried to load a check yet either.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I use my card to send money back and forth with family. The only thing I'd like to be better is MoneyPak. It's difficult to use plus no customer care and if you forget original login then you are out of luck...

Original review: May 16, 2019

I love Green Dot. I get my direct deposits early morning. But I wish they change the cashback rules a little like for emergency situations or able to send their customers Western Union like Bank of America prepaid.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Make it so we can talk to a live person would be nice. You guys make it pretty easy to use the app. I could love to see where I can deposit more money by mobile app. So far so good on being notified of when the payment goes through.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have had my Green Dot account for over 4 years now and I love it! I recommend it to everyone I know who is looking for recommendations on banks to open an account. The only issue I have is that the process of changing one's name is rather difficult. Overall, I have no major complaints with Green Dot or their customer service. This company is amazing!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I REALLY LIKE my Green Dot card because it is so convenient when it comes to getting my paycheck and being able to use it almost right away. Setting up my bills for automatic payments is so quick and easy too and I never have to worry about any transactions because I can always check the app 24/7.

Original review: May 16, 2019

The only thing I don't like is the monthly fee you charge. Could be lower. Like $1.00 or even $2.00. Being a single mother of 4 boys I need every penny I work for. I understand and agree that there should b a monthly fee but it could be less. Thank you greatly.

Original review: May 16, 2019

So far no it's great and no issues and lets me have the freedom without any fees. It's nice. Love it. There's no stress on using the card and it's easy. I couldn't be more happier with it. I would recommend it to friends.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I’m not sure how long I’ve had this card but it’s never failed me. I’ve recommended it to friends and use it as my primary payment method. It’s never been refused or declined. I got the card as a debit pay card but I’ve used it and loaded money on to it as well.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Awesome card!!! Thank you. I have never had a better card. This one is just fantastic. Alerts are great and I always know what I have. I have told many of my coworkers about this card and strongly advised them to look into getting one! I absolutely love that I have the cash back card. It adds up so fast and it is totally amazing. Thank you so much.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been pleased with the service thus far. It is everything I would want or need from a bank account without hassles of dealing with a bank. The only thing I don't care for is being charged if I need to add money to my card, but I understand why it is that way. Keep up the good work!

Original review: May 15, 2019

I use Green Dot for my direct deposit for my place of employment and tax refund. I have had nothing but a great experience so far. I will continue to use Green Dot for my direct deposit for the foreseeable future.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Excellent service. Never had any problems with y'all. I have recommended this card to a lot of people because of how great it is. I have no questions. Never had any problems. This is absolutely the best card/bank I have ever had. Ever since I have gotten this card I have refused to use any other bank. Keep up the good work. I do wish y'all had rewards for customers that have been as loyal as I have been.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I don't really trust banks so being able to have a prepaid debit card is great, especially being able to have my direct deposit 2 days before payday and everyone else. Not to mention makes online purchases easier than ever.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been very happy with the service although when calling customer service there are too many steps in order to reach a live person. There should be a easier process to reach a live person. But once reached my issue was addressed and resolved. Cheryl **

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have had Green Dot for close to a year and have no issues with directed deposits which usually is a day or two earlier than getting a check. I use the paper checks to pay my rent and haven't had no problems with those either but I wish I could use the app still to pre-authorize the checks when I write them so the money will be set aside right away and I didn't have to worry about overspending.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Great, easy to use and there no delay on money and fees that cause your card to be on hold and it notify you when your card has been used which comes in handy. Overall I am very happy with the card. Thanks.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I love it. Wouldn't change it for nothing. I been with Green Dot for a mine now and so far so good. I will recommend it to anyone. It's such a great site and you get rewards and money back when you spend money. So yes I love my green dot.

Original review: May 15, 2019

This card is the best I ever had. Don’t have to worry about no one cashing my checks or using my card numbers. So far the bank accounts I had got hacked into. Since I been with GreenDot I have my money on time in no hackers.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I like how I receive my SS checks four days earlier than I would with a bank account in the small town where I live. I like the idea of the updates thru my email letting me know if someone has used my card or if my balance is lower than I was expecting each day.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Just was wanting to say if there is a way you guys can implement some sort of live representative customer service line, that would help a lot with questions that can be answered oppose of having to go back an fourth with the menu options. Thank you. Other than that this card is very helpful.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Easy to use card, good information about balance. Fair rate when withdrawing funds. Card read easily. Love Green Dot. Always tell family members about it. Mostly during their tax time. Think I'm about to get more friends on board to get a card. Thanks green dot for having a good card for customers who need it. Thanks again. I love using my card from time to time. Thanks thanks thanks again and again.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: May 15, 2019

My experience been okay with Green Dot. I don’t like that if anything happens to my card I won’t have access to my money for weeks until I get another card. It’s hard to get a live person over the phone.

Hello Chrishawna,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you. However, we left you a voicemail that contained our direct contact information. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so that we may assist you with resolving your concerns.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I have been using Green Dot for 7 years and I love it. I will not use any other prepaid services. I have not once had any issues with Green dot since I switched to their services. I recommend their services to all my family, friends and co-workers. My experience as been nothing but positive.

Green Dot expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.

• Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.

• Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.

• Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.

• Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.

• Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.

• Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg