Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

Pros

• No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals

Cons

• $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Bottom Line

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Top Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Verified

Green Dot is the greatest thing ever. It’s much easier to bank with and I get no late fees, hidden fees or phone calls. The alert message telling me how much is in my account is a...

Verified

I like not dealing with the bank. I was getting my paychecks put on the Green Dot card and it's easy to use. Also, I have the app where I can check my balance. A lot of times when...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is Green Dot?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are reloadable debit cards that serve as an alternative to traditional bank accounts and let you load your paychecks directly onto the card for free. The company provides an easy-to-use mobile app and flat-rate monthly fees, and the card is accepted anywhere in the U.S. that accepts Visa.

Prepaid cards are easier to get approved for than some other types of banking solutions, which makes them a good option for those with bad or no credit.

Other people who like the flexibility and control of prepaid cards include:

• People traveling across the country
  • Parents giving kids an allowance
  • People who want to manage their spending
  • People who don’t like traditional banks

How do Green Dot cards work?

You can easily set up a Green Dot prepaid card to receive direct deposits from paychecks, government deposits or tax returns for free. You can also use the mobile app to deposit checks online.

Once you’ve put funds onto the card, it can be used like any other debit card. It can be used anywhere that accepts Visa, so it's accepted at many locations around the world. Many retailers, including Kroger and 7-Eleven, allow for free cash withdrawals when you check out.

How much are Green Dot cards?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards has a $7.95 monthly charge for users who deposit less than $1,000 on the card each month. There is no monthly fee for those who deposit more than $1,000 per month. It costs $3 to withdraw money from ATMs and around $6 to reload cash onto the card.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards also offer:

• Free direct deposit
  • Free ACH transfers
  • Free mobile check deposit
  • Free mobile app
  • Free withdrawals from select stores

Green Dot FAQ

How do I access my Green Dot account?
You can either use the company’s online website or mobile app to access your account.
What prepaid cards work with Green Dot?
Green Dot offers prepaid Visa cards.
What bank is associated with Green Dot?
Green Dot partners with Bonneville Bank and the U.S. Treasury.
Is Green Dot a real bank?
The Green Dot Corp. is an American financial technology and bank holding company.
How do I activate my Green Dot prepaid Visa card?
You can activate your Green Dot card on the company’s website.
Do Green Dot cards have a chip?
Yes, Green Dot cards have a chip for added protection.

Is Green Dot safe?

Green Dot prepaid cards are a good solution for customers who want more control over their spending without the hassle of using a traditional bank. Because the cards don’t help build credit, Green Dot Prepaid Cards aren’t the best long-term solution for building a better financial history. However, the reasonable monthly fees and free deposits, transfers and retailer withdrawals make the cards an affordable and straightforward solution that can be attractive to many.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I have had a Green Dot card for years, I have been a loyal customer. I have had a few issues over the years and sometimes it takes an act of congress to get anything resolved. Just recently I had a purchase from a very well known online retailer, my card got charged twice and I first called the retailer and talked with them and was told that the first charge was a hold but the funds were released by them so the card company could return the funds, the amount was $378.00. They said that they had an authorization number that if I gave it to Green Dot that they could check on it.

So I called The number on the back of my card and got a customer service representative, they told me that the company hadn’t released the funds and that I would have to wait 11 days in order to get the money back on my card. I told them that I had talked to the retailer and they explained that they approved the release, the Green Dot Representative told me that the company wasn’t telling me the truth. The next day I called the retailer again and once again they told me that they had in fact released the hold and that I could call Green Dot and once again tell them they had the authorization. So once again I call Green Dot customer service and speak with a representative, once agonizing they tell me that the retailer told me a lie and that now I couldn’t get my money back until the 24th, now I got tea upset because how could the date change in one day!

I asked to speak with a supervisor and was transferred to another customer service representative not a manager, then I got the runaround from that representative, before they finally transferred me to a supervisor. After talking with the supervisor and explaining everything to him he told me that there was nothing whatsoever he could do and when I asked for his supervisor I was told that nobody could do anything to help me! Needless to say I’m totally disgusted with how I was treated and I’m planning on finding a new card company. Do not!! I repeat DO NOT!!! Use this company for anything, they will steal your money.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

How to get your money back from Green Dot. I just went through two months of misery because of this company! For all of you with issues getting your money back, you need to file a complaint with the Federal Reserve Board in San Francisco. They are the ones monitoring this company for now. When Green Dot moves its corporate headquarters to Austin, TX, it will probably be overseen by the FRB there. I am not allowed to include the contact information for the FRB here. Google it. GOOD LUCK! I spent TWO MONTHS going back and forth with their call center, with their agents reading from scripts, and telling me they were "so sorry for the inconvenience", and "send documents"! UGH!!! The Federal Reserve Board can help!! Contact them!!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

I bought a card and I reloaded w/ 400 dollars and I never used, every time they lié to me, that card can never be activated. I call more than 100 times to the Green Dot number and I never get any answer. Look like I lose my 400 dollars is the second time that happen.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

My money is being stolen by Green Dot Bank. I had mine and my boyfriend's direct deposits from unemployment sent to my account and they closed it for suspicious activity. They will not return funds. The policy or directions they have given me to get these funds is physically impossible for me to make happen, and I have told them this repeatedly and they refuse any other ways to return my funds. So they are basically stealing my money.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2021

Got scammed in a transaction concerning a Green Dot Go2Card, due to the lack of security and service by Green Dot Corporation of Pasadena, CA. This is a horrible company to deal with. They have infuriatingly bad service. Corporate headquarters has no available United States phone number. I found countless bad reviews on them on Trustpilot for their GO2Card, MoneyPak product, and Green Dot online accounts. And an ABC News story said that this company's products are often used by scammers, as happened in my case. I am still trying to get a refund that should have already been issued.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

I have had money card account for many years! The last thing I ever want to do is call customer service! Reps are rude, repeat themselves W/O listening! I would call them AI! I wish! Too much to ask for!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

I've had a Go Bank prepaid debit card (part of Green Dot) for 2 years now. I've never really had a problem until this month. On October 1st, I transferred money from my Go Bank debit card to my bank account in another city. It is now October 13th and they STILL have not transferred the money. Every time I call, I keep getting the runaround. I'm always told that the money will be transferred in 3-5 business days. I think they fully intend of keep that money. I've already set up my direct deposit with another prepaid debit card and when I don't have any money left on this card, I'm going to cancel it. When it comes to transferring money from a Go Bank account to any other bank account, they have no clue what they are doing!!!! Before this incident, I didn't have any problems with Go Bank at all. But they've royally screwed up big time stealing my money like this!!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2021

This is the worst card ever, it is supposed to be a prepaid card but in order to activate it, you have to enter your social security number and after you activate the card, they rob the money in the card then, they send a credit card without your permission, and finally, they charge you more than $7 dollars every month until you call and cancel "the prepaid card" but the negative credit stays in the record.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Green Dot Bank is a fraud. After closing my account and being told Green Dot bank would issue me a check for the balance I had in my account when I closed it they never did. Instead GD pocketed several hundred dollars belonging to me. Inspite contacting the bank numerous times over a six week period and leaving messages and being told the matter had been turned over to another department the fact is GD never contacted me. Now they refuse to speak to me and will not discuss why they never issued me a refund check. I had no charges pending against my account since I was saving the money and hadn't used the card in months. Green Dot is a horrible bank that no one should trust their money with. They're scammers!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

Please think twice before using this company. I am currently at the end of my vacation and the airline did not take cash so I purchased one of their cards and put ALL of my money on there. When I went to activate the card they IMMEDIATELY blocked my card, I didn’t even make a transaction yet. My flight leaves in 5 hours and I am currently stranded in a different state IN A WHEELCHAIR with NO money thanks to this company. They told me I had to wait 2 business days before they can unlock my card and it was nothing else they can do. Never in my life had to deal with this with a prepaid card. NEVER purchase this card

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Information