Green Dot Prepaid Cards

I have been using Green Dot's services for over five years. Not and never had any major issues. Everything about the debit card service is super simple. I also find the app for Android phones simple. It definitely makes tracking my purchases easier to manage. I recommend Green Dot services to my friends and family.

I my Green Dot! They are pretty much perfect if you really want my opinion. I have more money in my account because I'm not charged fees every which way I turn! So convenient, I just signed up for direct deposit and there is no charge over a certain amount, which I knew I would be depositing that much or more, so it was a win win for me! I tell everyone how much I love my Greendot! I would recommend them over conventional banking anyday!

I am very pleased with my Green Dot card. I now have my paycheck direct deposited onto it every week. I use to get paid on Fridays. Now I get my check direct deposited two days faster on Wednesdays. I really like my Green Dot card.

Hi B,

We attempted to contact you regarding your concern. If you still require assistance, please call the number left on your voicemail. We are here to help.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: May 15, 2017

This company is the worst fraud I have ever come across. They told me three times they were sending my $ but every time excuse like taking 15 minutes to get my address and still passively aggressively got it "wrong". Lied. Agents contradicted themselves. Wonder about a CIVIL action suit for all the people who never got their money back. Fraudulent behavior, illegal and thinking of bring them to court to follow the law like everyone else is supposed to do. After three months still do not have my money. Don't think I ever will unless the law is involved.

Hi Sam,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Original review: May 13, 2017

The rep gave me a unreachable extension so I can't follow up. Walmart money card was never delivered to me, and my money deposited to the account got deduction of $3 automatically for more than a year. The customer wait time on Walmart service is 30-50 minutes, but it's professional. Green Dot corporation resolution was not.

Hi Alyssa,

Original review: May 13, 2017

I received a email around three in the morning stating that my Green Dot account has been blocked. So I called customer support to see what the problem was. I finally reached sweet dear Anna who was vague on why my account was locked and proceeds to tell me that there was fraudulent affairs recently regarding my account and Green Dot no longer wanted to do business with me.

I have put well over a thousand dollars on my card over the past few months. If anything I should receive a gold card! Not be kicked completely off the Green Dot team completely without even a proper explanation. I use this card to call my brother who is in prison. I'm all he's got. I use my card through City Tele Coin and sometimes Red Box. That's all. I've done nothing. And I explained this to her and she still wouldn't give me a reason why the problem couldn't be fixed. Very dissatisfied with how she was so willing to dismiss me. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else out of the blue.

Hi Wyatt,

Original review: May 13, 2017

Twice I have bought a Green Dot card and I have to go through this long process because your website ** sucks and I call and it won't read the card. I am tired of this. This is a nuisance to me and I will never own a Green Dot card again.

Hi Robin,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We are glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: May 13, 2017

They have stolen my money. Theft by deception would be the legal definition. Their customer service is horrific. It's nearly impossible to speak with an actual person, and when you do the person you speak with can barely speak English. If you can't communicate effectively, why are you in customer service? The whole system appears to be designed to frustrate you into giving up on your money and just letting them have it. They never stole enough to make it worth my while to pursue legal action, so their scam worked and Walmart doesn't seem to care that their name is on these cards.

The experience started badly with this card, A Walmart Money Card, by Green DOT. I bought the one that allows you to put a photo on the card, three times the price of the initial card. They refused to use my photo because there was a firearm in the photo. I don't typically do business with anti-gun companies, I view them as un-American. It took most of a year to get the photo fees refunded.

For nearly two years they never sent me the permanent card, I was still using the temporary that came in the pack from Walmart, then it suddenly stopped working. Again, it literally takes days to reach an actual person. The only reason I got the card was for online transactions, so I controlled how much cash was on the card at any given time. I was trying to make a purchase, so I put money on the card the day it stopped working, that was $60 and as of writing, there is now about $49 on it. They're still taking their fees, but I can't get my money. They are taking money for services not rendered.

After days of trying to reach an actual person, I finally reached them through email and asked for a number to call a living person, they refused. Instead they will only call me on my cell phone while I'm at work. They nearly got me fired on top of it all. They lady I spoke with claimed to be a supervisor, but could hardly communicate. She didn't understand me, and I couldn't understand her. Eventually a new card arrived, I activated it and tried to use it. Nope! It didn't work either, so now several more days of trying to reach a person to resolve the issue. Yes, you guessed it, a different non-native English speaking person calls me AT WORK, unable to communicate, and still no resolution. They sent another card out, care to guess what happened with that card? They still get my money, but I don't.

All in all, just being the biggest, doesn't mean the best. This is just a way to scam people out of money and they seem to have the system fine tuned enough so that they don't get into legal trouble. Never taking enough money from a single individual, to be worth the trouble of prosecution. Any attorneys out there want to sue them as a group? I'll sign on and I don't even want the money. I just don't want them to continue to be rewarded for their criminal actions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Hi Tina,

Original review: May 12, 2017

My boyfriend purchased a moneypak reload card so I could reload funds on my debit card. I attempted to log in, however forgot the password, so I requested a password reset. I didn't receive the initial reset so, I requested another password reset. Long story short, I was unable to load my debit card because Green Dot requested to verify my identity. They stated it would take 2 days to verify. There is no contact information available. So I am currently out of 300 dollars. Consumers should be able to contact a company especially when it involves money.

Hi Christopher,

Original review: May 12, 2017

I tried setting up direct deposit to a Walmart Money Card with Green Dot Bank. Green Dot Bank lost my first 2 direct deposit Net to Bank. I advise customers to avoid using this product. The customer service tells callers to wait 2 pay periods for their first deposit to be credited. However, I discovered the Walmart Money card can not receive Net to Bank direct deposit because their accounts are an invalid type (source Eagan USPS) and Green Dot Bank has failed to return either direct deposit. It has now been almost a month and they have thus far failed to determine what they did with either of my direct deposits. For a bank this failure in accountability is unacceptable. How can Green Dot call itself a bank when it can not process direct deposits?

Hello Matt,

Original review: May 10, 2017

I am very very disappointed in this company. They scammed me big time and took 20 bucks from me. I bought one and it didn't work so I tried another and it didn't work. It say card number declined when I try to register it.

Hello Olivia,

Original review: May 10, 2017

I opened this account to be able to transfer and receive money to and from my parents, which are out of state. There is an "outside" company you have to use to make the transactions to transfer money (MoneyPak) that has no contact information. Customer service for this company is a joke and the wait time to speak to a supervisor is 24 hours. I have money tied up on this card and am not able to use or receive it and no one can tell me why. When I called for help, I was told the processing department doesn't accept calls and any help or review of my account will take 24 hours. So you can put money on it but if there is an issue, you can't use YOUR OWN MONEY OR CARD. Do not use!

Hi Tamara,

Our records show that you spoke with a agent from our office regarding your Green Dot card earlier today. We are glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I have all my bills linked to my card. After I had investigated a charge on my card the charge was refunded to my card. A card that Green Dot had cancelled. I asked to have this card reactivated, I did not ask for a new card (for which I'm debited for). I now have funds I can not access, bills that are overdue, and it is impossible to get a live customer representative. I will not use Green Dot again. I will go back to Netspend where it is possible to speak to a human.

Hello Jom,

Original review: May 10, 2017

Bought a visa prepaid gift card for someone as a gift, younger than 10... to use to download apps and fun stuff. Turns out, when you register the card is REQUIRES you to supply social, address, phone number, and generally almost as much info as when I applied for a home loan. I attempted to contact customer service numerous times at 6 different phone numbers for the bank, it is always the same recording. I tried contacting them because we didn't want to give out our social which was not indicated on the packaging that you had to... YOU CAN NOT SPEAK TO A LIVE PERSON EVER, THERE IS NO OPTION FOR THAT... PERIOD!

Yes you can request a refund which let's face it, it may take months to get back and even then you can't talk to a live person... In other words, customer service is automated. Now, I'm only out 30.00 because I'm not ever ever ever giving those Yahoos my credit info. Don't even bother getting this card, buy someone something different, so it cost me 30.00 to learn this lesson...

Green Dot Prepaid Gift Cards are a joke, they make it exceeding hard to get your money back, supply you with ZERO access to a representative of any living kind, and give you ONE option to be able to use the card you just paid for and loaded with your money at the local CVS. It is not a scam but it "IS" HIGHLY SUSPECT.... Any good review you will ever read is either from someone who doesn't have a traditional bank account for whatever reason or from an employee which in itself is hard to believe because you are NOT ABLE to talk to representative of any kind EVER for any reason!

Horrifying and despicable business practice! MY OPINION WHICH I'M ENTITLED TO... DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT BUY THIS CARD UNLESS YOU HAVE A LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY! If you have trouble believing me and have 20.00 to toss out, do a test and buy one and see if you ever can reach a live person. In fact, save your money and try to contact someone at Green Dot. They call themselves a bank but I am looking into whether or not they abide by the exact same U.S. Banking Laws and guidelines, something tells me they do not!!! Save your money!!!

Hi Debbie,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: May 9, 2017

What a horrible company! First of all it costs $1.95 to purchase a card. On top of that, they charge $7.95 to use the card. And, they want your social security number to register a card. Horrible business practice! Stay away from this card company!

Hi Therese,

Our records show that you have already addressed your concern regarding your Green Dot card on 5/10/2017. We are glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I ordered a new card 1 week ago and paid for Rush delivery (on 5/2/17); today is 5/8/17 and I still don't have the card. I was on hold via the Green Dot customer service number for over an hour and nobody ever picked up the line to help me. How am I supposed to get an answer to my question? Does anybody actually work there? I can't access my money and this is becoming scary.

Hello Noma,

Original review: May 8, 2017

I have money missing in my account that was reimbursed from a purchase. Refund was processed 2 weeks ago and Green Dot has not put the money in the account. Called customer service twice and was on hold for over an hour! There is no option to live chat either.

Hi Sean,

Original review: May 8, 2017

I was on my way to Toronto for a weekend when I had my card declined at a gas station. I looked up my account balance and my account was empty. Upon reviewing the transactions I found a half dozen card transactions in California. I only have one card and I live in Illinois. I called the stolen card/fraud hotline to report it. They immediately canceled the card and issued a new one. I asked when my money would be refunded and was told it had to be reviewed. I understand that but due to the fact they know I had a single card and every day there was a California transaction I had several in my home state, obviously I wasn't on the west coast. The following Monday I get a request to fill out a form and send in a list of fraudulent transactions. I logged-in to my account only to find that all transactions from March 29th to April 30 had disappeared, gone, nowhere to be found.

It's now been 10 days, I have 3 tickets open with GD for the transactions and the missing account history. I'm currently on the phone for the 4th time trying to get my $1000 back and have been on hold for over 20 minutes. The phone call was almost 40.minutes in length and then the woman hung up on me in the middle of our conversation. Sure glad I recorded it. Until this point I'd really enjoyed the card but their lack of fraud prevention, i.e. block unusual transaction and contact the customer to verify before approving. I'm really not expecting my money back but I'm in going to have to talk with the authorities to see what if any recourse is available to me. Again, buyer beware.

Hi Alicia,

Original review: May 8, 2017

I would never recommend this company to anyone. Do NOT buy their "MoneyPak" to add funds to a prepaid card. I did so today for my husband who is out of state with no access to our bank account. When I went online to try to add the funds to his card, I continuously get an error message stating we have had too many MoneyPak transactions in the last however many days. Funny enough this is the FIRST time we are doing this. In turn there is no number to call to speak with anyone. When you try to contact Green Dot you have NO OPTION of speaking to anyone without a 16 digit card number or them having your social.

The reloadable card we are trying to add money to is a 123 rewards visa and in checking to see if it is eligible for this it most assuredly is. I now have a MoneyPak with 300$ on it and no way to load it to my husbands card. He is stuck out of state with no money, no food, no way to pay for his hotel. THANKS SO MUCH GREEN DOT (sarcastically).

Hi Kenisha,

Our records show that you spoke with a supervisor from our office regarding your Green Dot card. We are glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: May 7, 2017

I purchased over $1,100 in merchandise on May 26, 2017 at a T.J. Maxx retailer with cash and my reloadable Walmart VISA Debit Card. I then returned items on May 5, 2017 to the same retailer and the funds were returned in full on my reloadable Walmart VISA Debit Card. When I later tried making a purchase, my transaction was declined and that my account and refund was on block for further review through Green Dot. I called customer service and was instructed to email the original proof of purchase and the return receipts to validate my transactions. I did what was requested.

As of 3 days later and over 30 emails to www.verifymydocs@greendot.com with my attached receipts; I am still being given the runaround and my money is still not available!!! For Walmart to be over a billion dollar corporation, this is an insult and disgrace to a consumer on a fixed income for a return for as little as $855. I will never recommend this card to anyone ever again!!! Next I will be contacting the Department of Commerce and the Better Business Bureau to file an official consumer complaint. In addition too, I will also contact the local news broadcasters to question Walmart's wrongful ethics that are being practiced on consumers.

Hi Rachel,

Original review: May 7, 2017

I am reviewing prepaid Walmart Debit Visa Green Dot card. I bought a card in September 2016 and put $500 on the card. On September 12, 2016, I paid $400 with that card to buy an item online. I never received the item. I received many emails from the business telling me that my item was on its way. I even was provided with numerous tracking numbers that turned out to be fake. I called Walmart Card Customer Service and explained my situation, and asked them what I can do. I got absolutely no help. I was told that I was out of luck by the Walmart customer service representative. I then called Visa- and I was told that Visa does not cover these kind of cards. The Visa representative told me that it was a Green Dot Issue. She was very helpful- gave me Green Dot's information and told me that I would have to fill out a dispute form. She told me to include the paper trail of emails to Green Dot.

On December 1, 2016, I filed a dispute with Green Dot- and spent much time organizing all of the emails in chronological order. Green Dot responded, "We do not handle Walmart Visa Debit cards, you will have to contact Visa." I was so frustrated and upset. I called Visa again- and they told me that Green Dot was an independent financial institution, and they had no right not to take my dispute seriously. I tried contacting Green Dot again with no success. I am on a very limited budget, so to me $400 is a lot of money to lose. I was so frustrated and in tears over losing the money and nobody helping me. I figured that the only thing that I can do is to continue to contact the company who never sent my item. I was told five times that they had mailed me a refund check.

I have a huge paper trail of emails proving that this online business scammed me and stole my money. I used a charge card, so I thought someone would be able to help me. But, Green Dot refused to take any responsibility for the transaction. I filled out a fraud case with Green Dot online, explaining what had happened and asking them to please help me. Again, I heard nothing from Green Dot. I disputed transaction with Green Dot- I filed a fraud report with Green Dot- and they still refuse to help me. Will somebody please tell me where I can get help?

I have had my Green Dot Prepaid Visa for about 4 years. I've had occasional charges that I didn't make show up and they've been disputed and resolved. The last issue I had was about 2 weeks ago. I loaded the Card and immediately had over $500 worth of charges to Amazon.com made, which I didn't make or authorize. I contacted Amazon and they confirmed the charges were fraudulent. I then filed my dispute with Green Dot after speaking with a customer service rep. Later I was sent an email stating that the disputes were denied after their "thorough" investigation.

I contacted Amazon and found out that no one from Green Dot had contacted them and that the charges were clearly not made from my account. So I had to re-send another dispute to Green Dot. They quickly responded that the case was closed. So I had to go through the dispute process from the start again. It's not resolved yet, but I can see litigation in the future if they don't refund my funds.

Hi Silvana,

Original review: May 6, 2017

I bought a Green Dot Visa debit card recently, the cashier told me that he had registered but when I tried to use it, it appeared it's invalid! When I tried to register it on the website, it was shown that my street address is invalid! Can I ask what's the format for the street address to register? And how can I get refund for the money I put in the card which I can not use now?

Hi John,

Original review: May 6, 2017

I purchased a card on 7/14/16 for my daughter for a gift to use on a trip to Disney. I paid $200 for the credit plus a fee. It wasn't supposed to incur charges until after the first 90 days. Her trip was postponed, however the card apparently expired on 01/17!! You don't know that unless you open the packaging which wasn't done until my daughter needed the card a few months ago. I've spent the last several months writing the company with no response. You cannot email them or call them as they only take you on a barrage of endless calls that lead you nowhere if the card has not been registered which cannot be done if the expiration date is passed. So I lose $200 for a card that was never registered or used? Biggest scam going. Cards aren't even good for an entire year! I'm sure many elderly people and people without bank debit or credit cards are taken on this one. Maybe time for a class action suit.

Hello Eternity,

Original review: May 5, 2017

I lost my card and had a replacement sent to my address. Card never arrived! So I called and got a replacement sent to a new address. In the meantime they put a block on my account and NO REPRESENTATIVE WILL HELP ME! I have waited up to two hours each call for someone to come to the phone and no one ever does!!! I do not have my 16 digit card number because my card was lost. So I can not enter to send in ID. I am getting lawyer involved soon and writing every news there is. This is a common problem and a scam.

Hi Ashley,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your Green Dot card, but haven’t been able to reach you. It is important to us that we speak with you, so that we can work towards a resolve for your account. When you have a free moment, please contact us directly, so that we may assist you further.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I will never in my life use GreenDot again. I have been waiting on my tax refund to post to my card. The IRS sent it out 5/3. And it is now the night of 5/4 and still nothing. I use NetSpend as well and never had this issue. When I contacted GreenDot via Facebook messenger, they simply gave me a generic response that they will post the funds when they receive them, but they received my refund yesterday so where is my money!? Never again, Greendot, and I will be sure to tell everyone I know. It's imperative I receive my money as I have bills due like everyone else, and this card is basically ruining my life. Thanks, GreenDot.

I was gifted a prepaid Green Dot card with a $45.00 balance. When I called to register card it required information I did not wish to provide. So I requested a refund of the card, the man on the phone was helpful and stated I would get a check in the mail within 2 weeks. That was in January, it is now May and have not received my refunded check!!!! I've tried and tried to call the customer service number and I have been unsuccessful getting through to a real person!!! I am so disappointed on how hard it is to get REAL customer service with this company. Never again will I get a Green Dot card in the future, and do not recommend to anyone else.

Hi Stephanie,

We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: May 4, 2017

I had lost my card so I put a block on the card so as to nobody can be able to use that and now I'm trying to get the block off my card however they keep telling me I have to send in documents but they never told me what documents and I can't get through to customer service because they won't answer my phone calls because they say my card is blocked waiting on the documents. You can't even talk to a human being.

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us and allowing us to reach out to you.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I have used prepaid cards for years. I used to use RushCard which also advertised depositing payroll up to 2 days early and they always did. My payroll is transmitted at 2:30pm EST every Wednesday but I don't receive my pay til Thursday (same as if I had a paper check). I worked in ACH in banking for many years and am sickened by the lies CSRs try to tell me about it. This will be me and my son's last Direct Deposit and I have asked everyone I know to close their cards. This practice is deceptive to say the very least.

Hello Terrance,

It was a pleasure speaking with you today. We are glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: May 3, 2017

Cannot use the gift card without first registering it. I do not like the fact that I am required to give my SSN and other identifying information over the internet to use the gift card from my son. I tried to use their website and went ahead and registered the card. But the site says that my session has timed out. I tried 3 separate times and got an error each time. Tried calling the number on the back of the card and it tells me that I have entered an invalid number. There is apparently no way to contact the company for assistance. This is a major scam.

Hello Joce,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your Green Dot card but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards a resolution of your concern. When you have a free moment, please contact us directly so that we may assist you further. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: May 2, 2017

I been with Green Dot for more than 3 yrs now. I had some hiccups throughout those yrs but this is the big one. I still haven't receive my promo I was promised, from using the direct deposit Walmart MoneyCard and Jackson Hewitt $50.00. I did my part. I still waiting for both parties to fulfill their promises. I can tell this much I will change my prepaid card to Amex prepaid card if this doesn't get resolved soon. After a customer rep supervisor told me that I did qualify for the promo. She didn't have a timeline when I would receive my money. It has been over 3 months for a 10 day promo to be loaded in my card. Till this day I haven't received nothing. I will keep on fighting what is mine. That what they want for most people to forget about it. Please give me my promo. Thanks.

Hi Heather,

Original review: May 2, 2017

I have been happy with my card until now. My account was hacked and someone purchased $345 worth of online movie tickets. I know these things happen but filing a dispute with Green Dot has been a horrible experience thus far. I feel like I will never get that money back. I sent in a dispute form and have never heard anything back. Is someone going to email me or call me? It's horrible enough to have that money stolen and now I'm just left hanging. Will someone please help??!

Hi Sarah,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer specialist look into this further. We will reach out to you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. If there is another number to reach you through, please direct message it to us.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Original review: May 2, 2017

The reason why I got this card was to have money able to be used online for credit checks and flower orders and whatnot and I don't want something tied to my SSN for risk of someone on the sites I don't know personally stealing my identity. I go to activate it and apparently it needs my SSN? This is honestly false advertising. What's the point of a "PRELOADED" debit card, if it's tied to my CREDIT score.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Profile