2.67/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Gallery (3)
View More View More

5248 Green Dot Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Today I received probably my 80th or so fund transfer from my boyfriend's PayPal account and they sent it back to him and proceeded to block/lock my account. My payroll checks are direct deposit through them as well and today happens to be my 9 year old son's birthday. So I went to purchase his birthday dinner all to find my card is being declined even though I had the funds to make the purchase. I was weirded out so I called and was told my account was locked because I received a PayPal transfer (no one reported fraud and the amount clearly did not exceed the allowance per day so it should had been fine).

They proceeded to inform me that I need to send them statements from my boyfriend's PayPal through email which I also found very strange that’s not going to tell them anything besides the fact that he transferred the money to me... instead of explaining or anything she placed me on hold and then hung up on me. So long story short my son's birthday is ruined and I have no way to access my money for absolutely no reason.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Me and wife were victims in an armed robbery. They took card Green Dot. We used these people for 3 years and once we called them they said, "Oh well. ** happens" and we didn't report stolen or nothing, After calling them they took all our money off this card and never sent another one again. Period. Been a year now, called customer service and was told the us could suck a big one by female and make ID #**. Yes we called back and was told they could not give ID # was their policy after they stole all our money, oh yeah and the cash back is a lie.

We never went negative as they claim so wasn't able to get so called cash back, run from these scam artist by all means possible. They will steal your money in long run and not help you with disputes if there is one, and believe me there will be a lot of them with this scam bank, all representatives are overseas. Run now, or At least read all reviews before buying card. They will screw you. Run run run all US citizens.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Hello, I just bought this Green Dot card the other day and I got my direct deposit on my card as well and now my card is blocked. I sent my id front and back 20 times and I am getting no response. I need to pay my rent or I am going to get evicted from my apartment. Me and my family will be on the street if I don't get access to my money on my Green Dot account. If I don't get my money I will hire a lawyer! Please call me!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I called to see if a payment could be stopped, it was treated as a fraudulent payment even after I told the customer service rep that it was not!!! My card has been blocked which makes me unable to use it or access any money at all. I called to figure out what happened and was told that I would receive a phone call within 1-2 business days. After the time period went by I called back to see what needed to happen to have this phone call expedited so I can access my funds, I was told that I have to speak with a supervisor but they cannot simply connect me to one. They have to call me. I asked if I could schedule a time to be called so I knew when to expect the call, they did that and assured me that I would be called the next day at 12 noon. I didn't receive a call and have currently been on hold trying to call them and speak with someone again for 39 minutes.

Because of someone's lack of listening or understanding I have been locked out of my card, I cannot buy gas for my vehicle, food for my family or pay any bills. I would NOT recommend you use this card. It is a nightmare when you need something done, you likely won't get the answer you were hoping for. I am going back to a regular bank ASAP!!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I got my card in 10-2018, I called them to reverse a payment that had been made too soon by the bank, as the phone company said to do. Green Dot cancelled my card, initiated a dispute, and sent a new card without first verifying that I did indeed need my card canceled or verifying my address. They held on to my funds for weeks, though they were deposited back into my account from the phone company just days after I filed a dispute with the phone company. They had to resend the card several times before I actually received one that worked. Then I paid my bf car insurance on 11-22-18 and on 11-29-18 Green Dot refused the payment for no good reason, and never put the 57.60 that they declined back into my account.

I literally just spent 2 hours and 8 minutes on hold and was hung up on, without ever having reached an actual person. This company is charging me 9.95 a month for a card I can not even use. Their customer service is a complete joke and no one ever seems to know what's really going on. I have emailed their verifymydocs@greendot.com account with a screenshot of where they declined the payment and have heard nothing back from them. This company needs to be banned. All they do is keep our money, that we need to survive.

I have sent their FB messages, have been told a supervisor is not available no matter what time I've called, I've been told I will receive a callback from a supervisor within 24 hours and that has never happened either. This is extremely inconvenient, and this company needs to be banned from use in the United States since they clearly can't understand or help any of their customers. I don't even want to give them 1 start but it requires at least one or they would have a 0 from me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My 11 year old daughter received this card for Christmas. I tried to activate it so she could spend it. I called the number on the card to activate it and it requested every single bit of my personal information from my name, address, phone number and social security number. I finally got to speak with a real person that demanded I give this information or card would not be activated. I told her that I refuse to give my personal information to activate a gift card and she said it was federal law and that this was not a gift card but instead a prepaid debit card and would not activate the card. This was a complete scam for sales information and a $50 lost gift to an 11 year old child. Sad deal. Fraud company!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I recently went through a domestic violence situation, and I had to secretly move out my daughter and I have a family member send me funds on cash app which I bank with Green Dot for the benefit of prepaid. I noticed my funds got taken out. That there was transactions I didn't authorize taken prior to losing my entire purse containing passwords emails addresses. Since I have bad memory due to my abuser repeatedly stomping on my head or getting punched in the head, I started to write down things. Recently I had a fund send to me to stay afloat with my little princess to get to daycare discreetly and I was send a fund to help us for the week. To my suprise my funds have been used move to vault some amounts. Then I started to carefully see past transaction there's at least close $380.00 stolen.

I reported the prepaid card stolen, luckily I found my actual card with my name and activated. I told the cust. not to cancel this one since it's the prepaid that was stolen. I changed pin phone number, the totally messed up part is for a small amount like three hundred 80 dollars I have to wait 10 business days to possibly get refunded "if they decide it's accurate". However 10 days a lot of drastically possibly dangerous situation can happen. My child and I need our funds available right away.

It's unfortunate you call yourself a bank but that there's no certain limits to where you can refund certain amounts right away to customers instead of a 10 day process if it's even decided fit. I loved Green Dot till I realized it's a really horrible service, and shouldn't call themselves a bank. I have never had issues before till now. It's unfortunate and unfair I have to wait that long on top of writing a paper and sending it to Pasadena California which is just dreadful like I wish they had it to emailing instead of mailing.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

So, I had purchased a temporary card after being told that I can purchase a temp card in store, then register it and a personalized card would be sent to me via USPS within 7-10 business days. So I had went to their site https://secure.greendot.com/register and activated the card. I was prompted to enter my personal information as well as my Social Security number; fine, I entered it. Their site asked me for state ID/DL. When I went to upload it, my browser closed out and I wasn’t able to get back to that page.

After going back and forth with their customer service agents for 2 days now, I’m being told that that’s a 1 time registration process and that I will not be issued a personal card, however I can apply for one but the balance on the temp card isn’t going to be transferred to whatever card I do get. Like what’s really baffling is the site used to send over this information is a desktop/mobile site and there’s no way (or so the agents say) for this problem to be corrected. As if situations like this don’t happen whether software related issues or just by mistake. I have no problem giving them the information they need but the agents seem to have absolutely no way to help me out. SMH.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My experience with Green Dot Visa card has been awful. I pay $10 every month to spend my own money and they treat you terribly when you call what concerns. I bought a package from Amazon and two people the last time I called refused to connect me with a supervisor. Refuse to help me refuse to put the code in that was given to me by Amazon employees. They are terrible. I would never ever use that card again by 1 or recommend them to friends family or co-workers.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I open an account for my job. Got 2 deposit on my card 392.50 & 412.90. When I activated my card put it in wallet moved on knowing I have over 800$ in account. When I moved I lost the card. Call in to get new card. Noticed all my cash was gone off my account. File dispute with them. Have not heard a thing about my money but sent me new card. Case # **. Missing 805.40.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I've had Green Dot for quite sometime now, and recently lost my card. They don't tell you until after the fact, there's no way to access your money and that they can hold your funds hostage. So here I am 2 weeks after I've gotten paid and still with no access to my money. They sent me a replacement card, but when I went to activate it was told that the card was already locked and that they'd send me another. Keep in mind the 1st card already took about 2 weeks to get here. Some now being told I have to wait again. It's ridiculous. On top of that the customer service is the worst by far, and rather than come up with solutions to the problem they just repeat the same things over and over. Take it from me don't ever purchase a Green Dot card. It is not worth the headache. If I could give it a lesser rating I would.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I don't see how they block your account when you uploaded a picture of your driver license and the information on my profile account matches my driver license but they still blocked my account. Why is that and how do I get it unblocked because that 1877 number to Moneypak you cannot speak to no one.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Updated on 01/15/2019: I wrote a negative review of Green Dot Bank a couple of days ago because after 8 weeks I had not received a check to refund my $5,000 deposit plus interest for a secured credit card that I voluntarily cancelled. No balance, late payments or pending charges. TODAY that changed. I received a check for $4500. WHAT? And if I have any questions (Where's my money?) I can write them a letter! Clearly, my complaint has changed. Now it also includes a Consumer Complaint Form to the State of Utah Department of Financial Institutions, the governmental body that oversees Green Dot Bank. Since they are headquartered in Pasadena, CA I will also file with CA.gov and for consumer protection with the Arizona Attorney General.

Also, our great nation allows us to file complaints with the Federal Reserve for consumer victimization. This practice on the part of Green Dot Bank is egregious, baseless, indefensible and vexatious. Am I being targeted as a minority? Do they abuse Seniors? Do they solicit and target the poor and uneducated to further feed their corporate greed? These are valid questions that governmental bodies need to pursue in defense of those of us who are vulnerable targets of consumer fraud and abuse.

Original review: I had a secured credit card account with Green Dot Bank. I came to Green Dot Bank through a series of at least 3 acquisitions of my account. The application with my original bank required no credit check, so I could help my credit without getting dinged for "seeking credit". In a few short years things are much better, and I decided I could close my secured card without doing my FICO score any harm. Also, I would get my $5,000 deposit to cover the card refunded. I contacted Green Dot, and the account was closed within 24 hours, by 11/3/2018. It is now 1/13/2019 and I am still waiting for my check.

I have called twice, and the person in India can only say "it takes 6-8 weeks" to get a refund. I never carried a balance. I have no recurring charges against the card. I have no direct agreement with Green Dot that would justify this delay. Moreover, Green Dot has very defined rules about making payments and will not accept payments except within a specified window. I believe the practice of holding secured deposits for weeks to months after the account is voluntarily closed is egregious and vexatious. It is consumer abuse and very questionable.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

So I was approved for a 5000 credit limit on a Green Dot Platinum Card. I was told that I had to at least deposit $200 in order to start using my card and whatever I deposit would be my credit limit. I deposited $500 on November 30th and received the email saying they got my deposit. After weeks of trying to contact them and let them know that I couldn't use my card I finally went back and read the consumer agreement and realize I was supposed to send a verification that that was my account that I deposited the funds from. I proceeded to send the verification which now has been almost 2 weeks ago and it still is not available. Every time I call the Automated machine tells me to make my deposit and I can start using my card and hangs up on me.

I'm very frustrated and aggravated. I have a life and I need my money. I feel like it's very unprofessional that I can't speak to a live person about my money. I work very hard for my money and this is such a nightmare. I don't understand. If I made a deposit from my Green Dot cash back Visa in my name to the Green Dot Platinum Card which is also in my name why my money still not available from November 30th to now? I called Green Dot Visa and they told me there was nothing they could do, not even dispute the transaction. So what am I supposed to do? Just let them take my money? I think I'm going to contact an attorney today. My advice - do not use Green Dot.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I wish I could give zero stars. Dec. 24, 2018 I went to purchase two gift cards. A cashier told me to get the Green Dot cards. After purchasing the cards I saw they were not gift cards, one was for $75.00, the other was for $50.00. I called their customer service number for a refund. Every time I called they kept trying to register the cards. I opened a Better Business Bureau complaint to which they have not responded to. I did receive one refund check for one card but not the other. This was a Christmas nightmare. I had nothing to give my father or brother for Christmas and I'm on a limited income.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

My mother passed away 4-26-18 at the age of 91 with a balance of $4,000 on her Walmart/Visa card owned by Green Dot Corp. This was her retirement pension she had deposited to this card monthly for years with no problems. But when I called to report her death and obtain the balance on her account I was only sent a check in the amount of $348.24. This amount is a little short. Seems there was a withdrawal on 5-10-18 for $3005.50 from some foreign company with no transaction number, and called a misc. withdrawal. I was told there was nothing they could do since the account is closed due to my mother's death. Well this is not an answer I was willing to accept.

I have been fighting them for this whole time, I went and had documents notarized per Green Dot instructions. I have done everything they asked more than once and they keep claiming they are sending the check but they keep sending said check to the wrong address. I sent them their form with address to mail check and they cannot follow their own instructions? I keep getting the runaround every time I call and they are rude and I do not trust them at all!!! The first check got to be without any problems but the big amount check cannot reach me somehow? Hummm... Inside job??? DO NOT GET THIS CARD!!! Has anyone ever received their money stolen by Green Dot?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I had misplaced a card which had 116.36. I had a permanent one being sent in mail!! After several conversations with them they blocked my account because I had someone else get it for me so I got receipt and card the next day and account was closed!!! It said from a pin dispute from obviously a card I was waiting for in mail. SOOO how did I dispute anything with no card!! Now I can't talk to anyone and my money is gone!! Also had another 103.00 coming on my card and that is not able to get! I want my money!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Purchase the card from Rite Aid as a Christmas present. Got home. Tried to register the card but the recording kept saying the card is invalid. I tried calling the numbers. They hung straight up on me. After a recorded message did the long form with the receipt. No response. A month later still no response. Terrible company. Horrible customer support. Worst experience ever!!! Save your money. This company is a RIPOff!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have been waiting for a replacement card since December 21, 2018. The customer website has been telling me that my card "will be delivered to my door tomorrow." However every time I call customer service they act like they don't know what I am talking about and twice I have been told a manager would call me back within 24 hrs and that has never happened. One customer service rep told me it was coming FedEx and gave me a bogus tracking #. I am now late paying bills and even had to cancel my trip for my granddaughter's birthday due to having no access to my funds. At this point I would highly recommend not using this card company and plan on changing companies as soon as my card arrives. It is January 9, 2019 and still no card!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My Green Dot account was hacked, therefore all my funds were taken off my card. This happened December 2018. I did an dispute over the phone and mailed in a dispute form twice, still no response or refund. It's been 6 weeks already. Then my Green Dot card is constantly getting locked up so I'm unable to use it. And talking to foreign customer service sucks. I reported them to the BBB but no action has been taken against Green Dot yet. I will be closing my account as soon as I find out if I'm able to get a refund and if that doesn't work then I'm filing a lawsuit against Green Dot.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

This company issues online banking information without verifying the person's true identity allowing Identity Theft and Banking Theft to occur. I have been trying to report my identity stolen but their customer support number does not allow you to speak to a human without information that only the person that stole my information has. This is HORRIBLE!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My tax refund was deposited to a Green Dot card. I never received the card. When I called for a new card and check my balance I had 4 dollars left from 1000. I called and disputed many times with no result. I provided police reports, letter from my work and myself with no result. I have spents hours on the phone and no result. They don’t wanna help the customer and I believe this is fraudulent.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

DO NOT purchase Green Dot Prepaid Card Products! This company is run from a foreign country and uses the money you load on their cards for their "fees." I purchased a $25 prepaid card from Vons Grocery Store on the evening of 12/7/18. The online registration & activation failed and also did not work over the phone. So the next day 12/8/18, I called and requested a refund. I had to give them my full identity to link to the card to request the refund, and was told my refund was being processed, I was given a reference number and told I'd receive the refund in 2 weeks. On 1/7/19 I had not received a refund. I called Green Dot, gave the reference number I was given for the processing of my refund and was told no refund was issued.

Additionally, although the card was never activated, my original $25 balance was now down to $17.05 due to a "monthly fee" I never agreed to. And in order to receive a refund for that amount, I now had to send a copy of my ID, front and back, and my most recent utility bill. I protested. I was told that my card would continue to be charged the monthly fee. But to help me out, they'd place my card on "stand down" status so it would close automatically upon reaching a zero balance. So essentially, I buy the card at Vons, cannot activate it for use, am refused a refund, and Green Dot uses my $25 and gets my identity.

After a back and forth conversation with a person I could barely understand, who, while she was requesting a copy of my ID and utility bill, would not give me her full name, I said that I'd be reporting them to Consumer Affairs. I was placed on hold, then I was told the "monthly fee" was to be reversed, my account would be placed on "stand down" status so no further fees could be incurred, and that the $25 will appear back on the card, but not until the next day. So my plan is to attempt a purchase for $25 using this card to see if that will happen. I doubt it. At best, I'll probably be out $25.

Hopefully I won't experience identity theft. Update to follow. However, whether or not I get my little $25 back, I'd request on behalf of honest, hardworking consumers, that this item be removed and banned from American shelves. They offer a direct deposit option and I'm sure many other people have lost much more than I have. Not many people have the time or patience to go through what I just went through in the hopes of getting what was paid for. It appears that by purchasing Green Dot Prepaid Cards, we are just blindly giving money away, basically financing a foreign, overseas bank. Let's not do that.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I have had this prepaid card for about a year and have never had any problems. I started college and I needed an account for my funds to be refunded to me, so I checked the card's policy on direct deposit. It stated that you can have up to $10,000 direct deposited on your prepaid card. Everything went smoothly and I had my college direct deposit the remaining balance of my student loan to my money card. I went to go make a withdraw and it said my card wasn't active. So I called the number on the back of my card and they told me that my account is frozen and they locked my card. I am beyond upset because this isn't their money, it is mine and now they are making me jump through hoops just to get access to my money. I have emailed them my drivers license front and back like they had said and I still haven't heard anything back yet. After I get this sorted out I will be closing my account. This is very unethical on their part.

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

To start off I loaded $32 dollars on it when I registered it and logged in, it said $31. Later on I made some online purchases and the transactions did not match up at all. I was refunded some money and it never appeared on there. Had it for not even a week and it’s the worst experience ever.

Hi Elvia,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I purchased a prepaid debit card and deposited $500 onto it. I haven't been able to use my card and it's impossible to speak with a live person. I have sent multiple emails as well as a certified letter and have gotten zero response. I thought this was a well established legitimate company but now I think otherwise. Need help. Any advice?

Hi Ronald,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I have never received more horrible customer service in my entire life. They shut my card off without any warning whatsoever with a $2000 direct deposit balance in my account and held my money hostage for over 7 days while I waited for a replacement card - after assuring me I could still pay bills using the checking account and routing number. NOT TRUE. Furthermore, I could not contact any LIVING person while my account was on hold because the entire account had been deactivated. Also, I have been paying $4.95 every month for the past year for a "VIP" card which is supposed to waive Green Dot ATM fees and let you make cash advances at any bank, but I'm still regularly charged a fee by Green Dot for ATM and have been repeatedly DENIED cash advance transactions at the teller. This company is SHADY. Do yourself a favor and don't even waste your time and money.

Hi Alina,

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My husband bought me what he thought was a Visa gift card for Christmas but it was a green dot card which meant a bunch of hoops to jump through and a week to wait for the real card. so I got the card and activate it online but when I checked the balance it said zero. I sent an email to support and this is the answer I got back: "We see that the card you've registered is an online card." And it is not yet funded. Please call us at ** for further assistance about your card and reload. So where did the 100 dollars go that my husband put on the card when he bought it? He has the receipt. They said there were no funds on the card and to call Walmart, Walmart said to call Green Dot. 100 dollars just gone.

Hi Anna,

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Just loaded/purchased a Green Dot prepaid debit card from 7/11 and when trying to activate the card, I get a message saying "card invalid." After trying to reach out to customer support the robot hangs up on you after I type in my Green Dot card number. ACTIVATE MY CARD OR REFUND MY MONEY ASAP.

Hi Kyle,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Today, January 3, 2019 I used my recently acquired Green Dot Cash Back Card after setting up direct deposit the previous week. To my dismay when I went to withdraw funds I experienced the old "insufficient funds" screen at the ATM machine at a local Wawa convenience store, which all have free no charge fee arms. Not only did I get charge a $2.50 fee I was short of funds because of a non disclosed fee of $9.95 a MONTH placed on their so-called cash back card! I called customer service which, after an hour phone call and speaking directly to a Floor Supervisor adamantly refused to remove the charge. I have been a Green Dot card user for over 8 years with other cards an thought it would be beneficial to do so with it newly TV advertise card.

BEWARE!!! It's deceptive advertising at its best. Nowhere in any of it materials sent along with the card does it clearly state ANY monthly fees of $9.95 per month. I was nonetheless severely disappointed at these new tactics used by Green Dot. I have use another non-cash back card for over 8 years with few if any problems not address by Green Dot. But this time around, as I stated, and after only a few days of use, to refund their undisclosed Monthly fee on their nationally advertised Green Dot Cash Back Card along with a surprise ATM fee. In my opinion a good thing has gone bad with deception and corporate greed at its roots. DON'T GET OR USE THIS CARD, GO ELSEWHERE!!! TP Philadelphia PA

Hi Anthony,

Green Dot expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.

• Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.

• Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.

• Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.

• Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.

• Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.

• Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg