3.12/5
Based on 1,696 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Green Dot Bank = Extreme value! Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation is the pioneering tech company that's reinventing the banking industry to provide simple financial products for the masses. With innovations like Green Dot @ the Register and the Green Dot Reloadable Prepaid Card, we're changing the way people interact with money, and challenging conventional thinking about what a bank can be. It pays to bank with Green Dot as you’ll get 3% cash back on online and in-app purchases, your pay up to 2 days early and federal benefits up to 4 days early, no overdraft fees or bounced check fees, and free reloads at retailers nationwide. Download our Green Dot app to get started.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: July 18, 2019

I am grateful for the ability to use the card in all the different ways. To pay bills and to be able to use it online. I have recommended using this to others. I just wish that there weren't any fees at ATM's for cash. I try very hard not to do that. I don't want to have to pay to get my own money. Thank you.

Hello Jayne,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you or leave a voicemail. Please contact us via Private Message at your earliest convenience so we can assist you with resolving your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you!

Green Dot Corporation

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I like this card n app. EXCEPT FOR the limit on daily withdrawals from ATM. I get my payroll check to this card. The other day I tried taking out 1400 from an ATM and it wouldn't let me. It even locked my card from use on any ATM. Very inconvenient and this made a huge problem for me because I get off late from work and had to pay my rent. This issue made me late on my rent from not being able to withdrawal. And I had to pay a late fee of $195.00. I was very upset about this and I was reading online that this app will not give you a higher ATM withdrawal limit. I want to know why. If it's money why are you making it so hard to get my money out for any use. 500 limit is not enough.

Hello Elizabeth,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you. However, we left you a voicemail that contained our direct contact information. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so that we may assist you with resolving your concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 20, 2019

At first I was skeptical about getting my child's survivor benefits on a pre-paid card due to security reasons and also I was nervous that it would not be eligible for loading government funds (if you receive government money, you will know how picky the state is as to what banks they will allow to access funds from them) but being that I did not want to have a checking account with paper checks I decided that it would be worth it for me to try and see if a Green Dot card would work for me and my son. If you have ever had to apply for survivors benefits for your child you know that it can most definitely be a lengthy process especially if there are other children from different relationships being as you all need to file at the same time and the first parent of a child that files starts a 90 day time clock for all other parents with children that have a common parent.

So after a lengthy six months I decided to call and find out why it is that I still had not received any payment for my son. After about an hour and a half on the phone they came to the conclusion they never sent the money be sure they had no payment processing information. I then had to re-submit the routing and account number in order for them to go ahead and release funds I was then told it could be up to another thirty days before I received the payment as they had to do verification on the account. Well lo and behold the great get ur money faster green dot delivered the very next morning. I was so thrilled that here it is two years later and I'm still using that same card and same account and have no intention on changing that any time soon.

Hello Rashel,

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback. We are so happy to hear you're enjoying our direct deposit feature. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to work with you. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Regards,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 13, 2019

My previous bank decided it would be a good idea to charge me me a monthly fee after I requested the account to be closed. I had already withdrawn my cash because of a security issue so I was charged 2 NSF fees because 1 I didnt have any cash to cover the monthly fee of 15 dollars and the other because there was no cash to cover the NSF fee they charged me for after knowing I had withdrawn my cash. Long story short I was switching jobs at the time and went to apply to a local bank and they informed me that I had a delinquency flagged under my name for non payment of a NSF fee.

So I started looking into other banks that I could get a card through that would allow direct deposit, I stumbled upon Green Dot at Walmart bought the card for 3 bucks deposited a little money on it and I was good to go. Setup was a breeze and customer service had me on and off the line in no more than 10 minutes tops, The app is amazing you can pay bills with direct pay order checks and transfer cash to other accounts so long as they are Green Dot. Even better they dont charge you to transfer cash to your savings and back other banks always charged me if I did it more than 7 or 8 times a month knowing you cant plan for the unexpected you can only prepare for it, Green Dot really gets it.

Not to mention if you have a direct deposit thats of a certain amount they wave the monthly charge. Green Dot is awesome because they get me my money up to 3 sometimes 4 days early after my employer releases payment. Even tax returns are easy using them. I got my taxes about 2 weeks before any of my friends did. If you're tired of all the other banks out there please give GreenDot a chance you wont regret it.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I drive for Uber and it is really convenient to have a Green Dot card. The most beneficial thing for me is that I can cash out for my job. I could charge for it at certain times a day. I have an automatic deposit with it. For example, my money comes from my DoorDash, which automatically transfers in to my Green Dot card. It said the process would take two to three business days, but it only took a day, and there was a holiday included. So that was good for me.

I’m very, very happy with the app that I use. The app is through GoBank and it is super convenient because I can get text messages and emails that let me know my balance and transactions. I can also get all notifications about any time there is a transaction. And any time my balance falls below a certain amount, I can get a notification, which is really helpful. There’s a lot of features that I can get if I wanted to. There’s a lot of information there, and a lot of help packed in.

I can also use free ATMs, like at any pharmacy. In the app that I have for the bank I use that's affiliated with the Green Dot card, I could see the map or their list of where the ATMs are all free. I also get cash backs for certain stores and gas stations, which is really helpful. So far, in almost any gas station I’ve used my card at I get a certain percent back. But a certain gas station is giving me more percentages back. And any time I use the card at Walmart, I get a certain percent back. I would definitely recommend Green Dot to other people. It’s very user-friendly.

Hi Molly,

We're so happy to hear that you're satisfied with our app. Mission Accomplished! We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. We hope that you continue to enjoy your GoBank app and all its great features.

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Green Dot bank card has been nothing but wonderful to me! I get my check at least 1 day early and I deposit enough that I don’t have to pay the monthly charge most of the time. I will always use my Green Dot card for all transactions.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Good service. Only a couple of times wasn't able to access my account due to tech problems on Green Dot's end. All in all way better than any other back account I've ever had. Would like a better way to dispute transactions. It could be easier.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I have used Green Dot for 5 years. I have always gotten my paychecks early and I never experienced any issues with their service. I frequently recommend this card service to friends and family. I'm grateful to have access to my funds earlier than everyone else. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I love GreenDot. Everything on the app works for me. Their services are great and I know I can trust GreenDot with my finances and direct deposit is always on point. Thanks GreenDot!!! I really appreciate you a lot!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

I am overall very happy with GreenDot. The daily balance alerts are very helpful in maintaining budgets and balances. I hope to see, as the company develops, additional features and more access to free or cheaper atm machines. I have recently had some failed purchase attempts when there was sufficient funds available, so I also hope this issue is resolved quickly.

Green Dot expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.

• Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.

• Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.

• Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.

• Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.

• Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.

• Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg