Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Hi Dominoe.

We value your positive feedback and appreciate you as a customer. We will continue to make sure that the Green Dot Prepaid card is the best product for you! Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns that you would like to discuss. –TH

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 28, 2017

I have been using Green Dot's services for over five years. Not and never had any major issues. Everything about the debit card service is super simple. I also find the app for Android phones simple. It definitely makes tracking my purchases easier to manage. I recommend Green Dot services to my friends and family.

Hi Mickie.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 11, 2017

I my Green Dot! They are pretty much perfect if you really want my opinion. I have more money in my account because I'm not charged fees every which way I turn! So convenient, I just signed up for direct deposit and there is no charge over a certain amount, which I knew I would be depositing that much or more, so it was a win win for me! I tell everyone how much I love my Greendot! I would recommend them over conventional banking anyday!

Hi James.

We value your positive feedback and appreciate you as a customer. We will continue to make sure that Green Dot Prepaid card is the best product for you! Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Feb. 22, 2017

I am very pleased with my Green Dot card. I now have my paycheck direct deposited onto it every week. I use to get paid on Fridays. Now I get my check direct deposited two days faster on Wednesdays. I really like my Green Dot card.

Started with a $100 account from CVS. Did one transaction and gets disabled because of suspicious activity. E-mailed them my ID with no success. Mobile verification was a bust as well (Verizon). Contacted customer service for help. All automated during their working hours with no option to speak with a representative. I gave up and they closed my account. I wanted to get what money is left on the card ($50+). It ask me to call the same automated number. This unacceptable for a bank to work like this. I heard very positive things about this bank. But, I was duped. I hope sharing my experience will help people think twice about this Bank. Do not put your hard earn money with people that, you cannot even speak to. Thank God, I did not do direct deposit. No wonder PayPal is not using you guys now.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I love Green Dot. It's accurate and I enjoy how my money is being received early. But I haven't been receiving my deposit as early as it said. Please help? I check my balance every few hours each day, but still haven't received anything this month.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

My card got blocked Saturday 9/3/17. It is still blocked as of 9/8/17. I called and can never get a live person. I sent an email to verifydocs@greendot and have heard nothing back. I was told to send docs to that email, but was never told what documents I needed to send. I was also told that Green Dot will call me back once receiving the documents (again what documents?). Also the phone number that is listed in my account is an old one. I never updated it, and again-cannot reach a live representative to give Green Dot my current phone number. So if Green Dot is trying to call my old number, they are not going to be able to reach me. My paycheck went in there, there is over $1,000 that Green Dot is holding and not allowing me access to. I have a family I need to feed, I have bills I need to pay. GREEN DOT IS TERRIBLE!

I have lost too much money with this company. They will not investigate and return my money from a previous transaction dispute emailed on 4-2017. Now I have more from 9/4/2017. They have left me with no other option. I will have to close my account. This company along with their Customer Service needs improvement! They need to start caring about peoples hard earned money. They are not returning it when people steal it or it may be their mistakes in the computer system. Every time I have Transaction disputes, they start out with some charge at a motel. Then that charge disappears and they start making all kinds of purchases from retail stores in other states.

I have legal advisers in my family and it is sad that I may have to take action. It is very disappointing when you go to purchase necessities and you are declined because someone has used all of your money. In the past prior to 4-2017 it took them weeks to return money back to my account. Also to send me a new card was a long wait. Please consider that a lot of people only have their checking accounts to survive this cruel world. Thanks for your time and concerns. Hopefully you will consider more training for your customer service and upper management will look into complaints and follow up. I would also like to apologize and tell the innocent customer service representatives, "I am sorry" because they take a lot of abuse.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Last Sunday I logged in to my account and found out a hold had been placed on the card. I call Green Dot and was told there was possible fraudulent activity on the card and I needed to send a copy of my id to verifymydocs@greendot.com. I was told at that time I would hear something back within 24 hours from Green Dot. So I did that on Sunday and received an email to verify it was received. I waited until Tuesday COB since I figured Monday was a holiday and tried to call. I just kept getting the recording that I have called multiple times on the same card and that the hold was still on and that nothing had changed. I tried several time Tuesday and Wednesday calling just to get the same recording.

I finally tried Wednesday around 6 and was put through to a live person. This person did not see that my id was even received. He forwarded me on to some at corporate who asked me to send him the same email I sent on Sunday and he would forward it on the correct department and would do his best to expedite it. I would hear something back by COB Thursday. Here it is, COB Thursday, and I have not heard from anyone, I can't call in and ask anyone because I am getting the same recording as before. My direct deposit of my paycheck is to be sent tomorrow morning and I have been told that if the hold is still on the card, the deposit will be returned. If that is the case, my company has told me that I would have to wait until my next paycheck to get the check reissued. I have bills that are set to be paid by this card and need someone at Green Dot to be able to tell me what is going on?

I have been a card holder and have had my paycheck deposited on the card for the last 3 to 4 years. The fact that I have to play this game to get someone to remove the hold or at least tell me what the fraudulent activity was and reissue a new card to me is beyond crazy. Need someone from Green Dot to help me and tell me why this is taking so long.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Don't ever get a Green Dot card. Poor Verification Process. New to irregular activity it can be the same activity as you had before and they'll still call it irregular and put a block on it and then rather than verifying identity like everything else has done for a hundred years by using your social security number you take a picture of your ID, email it across the country for a computer to look at and depict if that's you or not, which it declines of course, so then the block is left on your account locking your funds from you and says you will not be able to have any access to your money and can't not create another account with this company... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!???

Hi, I'm sad to say that Green Dot Corp is not a business that values its customers or their business. I’m a 38 single mother of 5 who works fulltime at a nursing home caring for the elderly and disabled. Regretfully I set up my direct deposit with Green Dot. Unfortunately I became ill around the 21 of August 2017 and had to be hospitalized. My condition at the time was 50/50 so my doctors called my family to come be with me. I knew I had a paycheck coming on the 25th and I'd be able to send for my mother. On the 23 I'd had another seizure and the stress of it all clouded my mind and I'd forgot I had a check. On the 26 my dad arrived from MS and as he and my sibling were trying to figure out how mom would get to TN, I remembered I got paid on the 25.

My dad left that evening, went to my home to get my debit card only find out my house had been burglarized. Along with my electronics and food, my check book was missing as well. Sad to say that was where I’d keep my Green Dot card. As soon as I found out I called Green Dot. Days later as my condition began to get better, I called to see why hadn't anyone contacted me. The representative doubtly instructed me on what they needed. As I placed my phone on record and speaker so my family could hear, I go on to explain that I was in the hospital, didn't know where my card had been stolen or even when it had been stolen. 3 to 4 times I had to repeat this because the rep kept asking for information I did not have or had access to because I was in the hospital.

My sister and coworker decided they would go to the job, use the computer, get the information and email it to them as well as a statement from my doctor. I haven't heard a word. Now I’m just lost… Stolen money, hungry children, past due bills and rent, and sickly... MY GOD... As I type this I’m in tears wondering why and how. Not to mention this is the second time I’ve lost money with Green Dot and they refuse to give it back because "The same number activated my card was used to call the card in stolen" CROOKS. If you’re able please refrain from giving your money to these crooks. Go to a bank where if ever you are a victim of identity theft as I am at lease your money will be insured.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I have had a couple of instances of fraud that I've reported and the method in which it's been handled has been poor at best. They take the maximum allowable time to return your money to your account and will provide no information as to the status of a claim.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Received a Green Dot card as a gift card, I believe the person that bought it for me did not understand what it was (I also was confused as to what it was). I was very confused when I had to set it up with all my personal info. I spend around 85 of the 100 that was on it. I log into my account to check the balance months later to find that a fee has been charged every month. This is a joke. It now says my account is in the negative. This was a gift to me and now I owe Green Dot.

This company is very misleading, better read all the fine print. I have requested to cancel this card immediately. It's very sad that a company is able to rob you so easily. I am not very familiar with reloadable cards so I didn't realize that this is what I was given. While I don't consider myself in poverty, this company is another example of how the poor get poorer. How do you charge a fee of 7.95 a month?

They should be more honest with the fees you are charged monthly. Please explain that if you load 100 onto a card it will cost you 2.95 to set the card up and then 7.95 to use it each month. Poof 100 turns into 89.10 oh and, "You better use it immediately upon set up or we will charge you 7.95 each month." You thought this was a gift card, "Sorry please pay the negative amount on the account and have a good day." I will tell anyone and everyone to stay away from this company. They are a complete farce. I feel for those who don't have another option. If I could give no stars that would be appropriate but one gets the point across.

Purchased a $500.00 Pre-Paid Visa at Walgreens. Attempted to activate when returned home and was told "Invalid Card Number". Essentially my $500 cash went into a black hole. Green Dot support was horrible. After completing my case they tell me I will receive check for $500 in 2 weeks. Unbelievable. You have been warned. Do not buy.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I am not going to give Green Dot any stars. I absolutely hate Green Dot. I just had surgery and I'm currently on bed rest. I purchased a cash back my rewards debit card 3 days ago to pay a quick bill. I went online to activate the card and I got a prompt saying that I have exceeded the daily attempts to activate the card. Mind you that was my first and only attempt so it said to try again in 24 hours so I waited 24 hours and tried again. I got the same message again so I waited another 24 hours and got the same message again so I called the number on the back of the card and they tell me there's nothing they can do. I have to continue trying to activate it online or go to Gethuman which charges you $25 to activate your card.

I am low on funds and my workers comp hasn't kicked in yet so I'm SOL For My money to pay my bill. I hate Green Dot and will never purchase this card again. I was forced to pay it because the local store near me ran out of the Western Union cards I usually buy and this was all they had in the entire store and I couldn't travel any farther to get another card due to my surgery.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I feel that moving the fee amount was kind of wrong to do. And the fact that you charge it even when the card is not being used is not ok. It puts people in the negative. And when the amount is deducted. Unless account is checked every day we don't notice and adding money is a set back if in the negative.

Hi Starress,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your service fees, but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I received my Green Dot Cash Back Visa and I only get a portion of my paycheck direct deposited on this card. I went to withdraw $20 from the ATM and was charged an ATM fee of $2.50 although on Green Dot website it states I can use Money Pass ATM's with no surcharge. I called customer service, spoke with Kim and she told me because I signed up for this card online, I will be charged ATM fees. But I needed an explanation as to how Green Dot website says they use Money Pass ATMs but the difference between which Green Dot card can be used at a Money Pass. So I will be canceling my card with Green Dot because don't advertise I can use an ATM for free then turn around and say because of the type of card I will get charged a fee no matter what ATM I use. So if there is ever a class action suit against Green Dot for false advertising sign me up please.

Hi Evva,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your account, but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I have Green Dot thru Walmart where my check is deposited and last week they allowed a charge for a little over 1200.00 to post to my account. I have called them several times and have been given the runaround and not a direct answer when I asked them about the fact that if this is a prepaid card, how are they allowing charges to come thru anyway. Then I have been yelled at and told that it is a debit card and charges can go thru if the merchant chooses to push it thru. Well as a consumer, I chose this card carefully and it has put me so far behind whereas my entire check was gone and it still left an overdraft balance that I was then told by 1 of the reps that I needed to take care of.

Walmart does not want to help where as they say Green Dot is the card holder and Green Dot is telling me that I have to wait 10 business days so I have bills behind and no food for my children. I just don't understand how a prepaid card is treated as such and then I even asked to speak to a manager and was passed from person every time I called.

Hi Natassja,

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I've been using my Green Dot prepaid card for over 2 years now in purchasing whatever I need, paying my bills, and buying groceries. It wasn't until Saturday 26, 2017 I checked my account which said I had $39.49. What I ordered only cost me $10.80. Trying to make a order online, everything seemed to be going fine, gave my name, my address, e-mail address, phone number, the state I live in, and of course the card information. Next thing I know I'm seeing a call from the destination I made an order from saying that the card kept declining, and that they attempted to try the info. I provided more than once. So I gets on the phone with Customer Service for Green Dot, I got a weak apology and they informed me that there is nothing wrong with my card.

I even told them to check and make sure my card was not cancelled for any reason, they said it wasn't. They told me that they would do an investigation to figure out why this happened. Next day I'm checking on my balance on the Green Dot app I have on my Android phone and it says that my balance is now $0.00, but yet when I called the Customer Service line and got my total, it verified that I still had $39.49, so which is it; I mean I have to live off this card, and yet stuff like this is happening, When I called that second time to ask them to check and make sure my card was not cancelled they also informed me that it would take 24 hours for them to investigate the problem, and they would e-mail me.

It has been 24 hours since Saturday I brought this to their attention and I have yet to hear back from them. I'm not the type of person that would sue this company, because they do get a lot of great reviews, but if they do not fix this error I may have to take my business and money some place else, because this is not the way you do business. I think the way they go about the script in how they say they are sorry for the inconvenience that the glitch may have caused, it just seems uncaring. If you really mean the words "Sorry" do something about it and be "Real about it".

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I love my Green Dot card! It helps me to save money. My paycheck is direct deposit and I get it two days early! There is no overdraft fee because it won't allow to go over your amount. You can use it anywhere and I have mine on my cellphone so I can check my balance at any time!

Hi Tara,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer specialist look into this further. We will reach out to you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. If there’s a better number to reach you on, please direct message it to us.

We look forward to speaking with you.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I bought a Green Dot card to pay my credit card bill that was coming up after losing my wallet over the weekend and didn't want my payment to be late. So I added money to it and paid my credit card bill. Two days later I get an email stating that my payment has been returned because the account I used (Green Dot) had been closed!!! So I called green dot and a very rude lady begins to tell me that I need to submit my I.D which I did, 6 times, each clear as day and visible but their system kept rejecting it. So I called back and the lady basically told me there was nothing else they could do and I was out the money I applied to Green Dot!!! Let me remind you, I used my card ONE time and they "froze" my account (not closed like they told Capital One) after for "fraud protection and abnormal activity"... After one use!!! It seems more like a scam if anything.

Hi Richard,

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

My GreenDot card has been blocked for several months. I uploaded my driver's license and then they said that, "Oh well you cannot open up another card with greendot." However every month they charge my card for the monthly maintenance fee of $7.95 since my card was blocked on 3/11/2017. Now that's $47.70 that's been stolen from me because they would not allow me to use my balance but they are constantly charging me maintenance fees. I've demanded a refund of the $47.70 and I can't even get an agent on the phone. This is horrible and should be illegal in this country. I don't care about the amount I want to take legal action. This has to stop.

Hi William,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your dispute, but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I opened a claim and I just got done calling and I was about to head over to an item to get cash with the card it says that I got a DISPUTE CREDIT REVERSAL right after I got my credit like 5 mins later. Very upset they took away my money. Now I have to wait even more time for them to review why I even got the DISPUTE CREDIT REVERSAL. The person said it says the dispute has been granted and he was even confused to why my card got the money taken out. I got the money 5 mins later it's gone! I am so upset!

I'm submitting this on behalf of a family member, but we have used the Green Dot money card to easily transfer money to one another and recently the option to send money to a friend has been removed from the app and the website. That was one of the perks of using the card, aside from receiving any direct deposits a few days early (but our credit union does the same thing). WHERE is the option? Tie that into the fact that he can't find his card and money was just loaded onto it yesterday, makes this a much bigger issue because now he has no access to his funds and he can't transfer the funds on his card to mine so that he can get his funds.

Hi Sean,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I was moving so I sent them a change of address, while moving I lost my wallet, so I canceled my card and requested a replacement, they put a block on my card with 500.00 that I needed. They said suspicious activity. I'm sure I'm not the first for this to happen to. They said I needed to show my DL to prove who I am. I lost my wallet. It's been 3 weeks and their still holding my money hostage. I was supposed to get a call from customer service. Never happened.

Hi Thomas,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

God forbid you are in a similar situation as I am where you can't receive mail/correspondence at your physical address. I live on the island of Kauai and confirmed with 2 postmasters at 2 different post offices in my area, USPS policy in my area since there is not enough staff they do not deliver to any street address. Mail can only be received through a P.O. Box and if mail is addressed for a street address it is returned to sender. Green Dot's policy however cannot send mail or your personalized card to a P.O. Box. It has to be physical address, the complete opposite of what mail availability is provided for me by USPS. I've spoken and explained to two different customer service reps, Mia and Rose, about this conflicting mail problem, and none of them would budge to accommodate.

I would also like to point out that both of them so happenly did not have a supervisor available when I demanded to speak to one. They supposedly record their phone calls and I called them on Aug 21 at 9:20 am and 7:45 pm if someone can verify those conversations. Again, I am dissatisfied with Green Dot and their crappy customer service on how they handled my case. I have two conflicting policies by USPS and by Green Dot that prevents me from receiving any correspondence/mail from Green Dot. Apparently FedEx or UPS is not even available to question either. I just do not understand how Green Dot expects to do business with me or anyone in my neighborhood if we can't get their product in the mail. I understand my situation doesn't affect everyone USA wide. But if you are in a small town or island in the similar restricted mail availability as I am, you might have to rethink using this debit card service.

Hi Janice,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I set up my direct deposit and it's been 6 days since my last pay day. I have yet to receive my check. How do you not know where my money is when payroll got verification the same day my check was supposed to be deposited. Very inconvenient and customer service is a JOKE! Worst prepaid card ever!!!

Hi Gregory,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

This is my second Green Dot card, my first one was compromise, hackers got in and wipe out my account using the Send Money feature, which I never used in the 5 years that I've had my card. I think this all could have been avoided if there was a built-in system that if you use the send money feature a text message/phone call would be sent to you so you could authorize the transaction or deny it. Hope this helps.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Sept. 9, 2017

After spending hours, I found an address for them and wrote them our problem, sending pictures. About a week and half later we received a check in full for the Money Pak. Granted we missed the deal we were going to use it for but at least they were great and sent us a check. Thank you Green Dot. For that I'd give you 5 stars but the fact you do not have a phone number that we could get a hold of you and that I spent so much time finding your address still makes me mad.

Hi Nicki,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns with your MoneyPak, but haven’t been able to reach you. It’s important to us that we speak with you so that we can work towards resolving your concern. Please contact us directly so that we may assist you further.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Bought a Moneypak card at Walgreens for $100. To activate you have to scratch the number off. It was impossible to get the number (card got rubbed down to white). Without the number you can't get through to Green Dot. Actually, there is NO way to talk to a person at Green Dot, nor is there an email or any other way to get a hold of them. Everything is automated. Buying the card at Walgreens, they did NOT ask for any identification (name, address, SSN, etc) so there is no way for Green Dot to look this up. Calling Walgreen's has not helped. This Just sucks! And I Have no order number except for the 2 receipts I got from Walgreen's.

Hi Howard,

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I bought a 20.00 prepaid credit card at CVS then had to pay 2.95 to activate and then took 20 minutes to register the card including all types of personal information including social security number. Then at end of call it says you have to pay 7.95 fee for first transaction. What a joke!!!

Hi Charlene,

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Ok I enjoy GreenDot but I have also changed my telephone # & I can't update MY PERSONAL info on the app to ensure I get text messages etc. I called & was told that I have to order another GreenDot card(I already have 2 of them & do not wish to have more), I simply want to be able to update MY OWN INFO, so to me this is a joke. Why wouldn't y'all allow YOUR people to be able to update their OWN info!!! Thank you, sincerely, NOT LIKING CORPORATE OR WHOEVER IS MAKING these stupid decisions!!!

My spouse and I have been using Green Dot for several years. We have enjoyed the convenience and intuitiveness. But just recently Green Dot have removed the "Send a Friend" money option on the app and mobile website. This a feature we used quite often, it has been a real benefit to us. I believe you can still use the feature on the desktop, but we do not use a desktop. Who really needs one nowadays? Because of this poor decision by Green Dot we are seriously considering moving our finances to another company. Perhaps it was removed by mistake, it's hard to know. Because trying to get a solid answer out of any company these days, is near impossible.

Hi Michael,

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

In May 2017 I purchased 75.00 diesel in Savannah Ga, at Circle K and again in June. They immediately deducted the money. August 16 2017, you let circle k deduct same 75.00 again twice that day, not picking up on it, or contacting me. You give my money away. Now I gotta go through all these steps to get my money back cause you didn't stop the transaction.

I've been a loyal customer for years, not anymore and I'm telling all my friends and coworkers of your misjudgment, then your associate whom I couldn't understand hangs up phone on me, very professional. Right. Worst prepaid company, Green Dot in my book, worst customer service, cannot speak English. Does not protect users money, freely gives it away, once in May once in June, same transactions two months later twice same day, no-one picked up on it, sorry group of people, associate worst I've seen or talked to, very disrespectful. Gave 1 star. Wouldn't let me submit with half star, Worst prepaid company.

Hi John,

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Log in touch ID - I'm unable to use this feature. Please help. Also is there a way to make any transactions more secure. As in setting up an additional password when items are purchased. Thank you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Profile