2.71/5
Based on 408 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Gallery (3)
View More View More

4784 Green Dot Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Two weeks ago today my paycheck was deposited to a GreenDot.com card through direct deposit. They CLAIM you get your paycheck two days earlier by using their card. The card was in Renee's name because of an issue with my bank where I had to close my account. I called to verify the funds were there (not two days early as promised) and customer service said the money was blocked. They told me we needed to verify identity of the cardholder and the person on the check. So I emailed a copy of our drivers' licenses as requested and both Renee and I spoke to them on the phone. They said it would take 2 days to review the documents. Fast forward 7 days...still the account was blocked.

Mind you when I called back to find out what was going on the customer service number gave nothing but a recording stating "we see you have called several times about this account and there has been no change. It takes two days to review documents" and then it would hang up on me!!! I COULD NOT GET THROUGH TO A LIVE PERSON!! Finally I resorted to their Facebook support page. I got a message back stating they now needed a copy of my check and the direct deposit form and again was told it would take 2 days to review the documents.

Fast forward 12 days and STILL NO MONEY AND NO WAY TO TALK TO SOMEONE!!! It has now been 2 weeks and they still have my money. I messaged them again and demanded they send the money back to the ranch. This time I was told in order for them to do so they would need a letter on company letterhead requesting the money be returned AND it would take another 10 days to process!! STILL AM UNABLE TO TALK TO A LIVE PERSON!! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!

Hi Stacy,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Green Dot Corporation

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Opened a prepaid account to help boost my credit. Made my 1st payment with a paper check. Made my next payment ACH through the same account. Now they have an issue and have restricted access to MY PREPAID MONEY, and want a voided check or bank statement to verify I paid ACH through MY account?? They are refusing to refund money until I send them this. As a previous victim of identity theft I find this highly unorthodox! Not to mention they did all of this via email, which any other card company will tell you they will NEVER do.

Hi Shelley,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Green Dot has told me that my brother can't be given a permanent card due to not being able to verify his personal information. How much more verifying do you need besides: ss number, dob, address and security questions? Signature in blood? So far we have spent 80 dollars on 2 different cards hoping 1 would work. I have tried repeatedly to call the customer helplines on both the regular Green Dot card and the Walmart card backed by Green Dot. I either get smarmy recordings that hang up on me or in the case of WM card a person who can't tell me why this is happening. I am about to log a complaint with the Better Business Bureau! I am beyond frustrated and I demand some kind of action or refund!!!

Hi Lorena,

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have a Green Dot Card which was stolen. The thief was able to compromise their security to withdraw 600 from my account. As soon as I discovered my card missing, I notified Green Dot to shut off my card. I was told to send a letter with police report so that my money can be returned. Three open claims now all denied by Green Dot with no explanation. Sent Certified mail to Pasadena to ensure they received the letter and police report. The call center denies receiving although I have proof they did. The call center is in Manila. There is no corporate info or ways to contact management in the U.S. They are a scam company that does not honor their valid disputes. I will continue to warn people via mail, internet or whatever necessary to expose Green Dot for the Sham Company they are.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I completed info including email and phone number and paid $200 to start my account. They took the $200 and that was it. No card, no contact, nothing!!! When I try to call I am unable to get a live person unless I enter my 16 digit card number (obviously don’t have) or my social (which their system can’t find me under). If I do not hear from someone in the next couple hours, I will contact my attorney. I am tired of the systems that allow these cartels to steal our money! Go print more money like you’ve been doing, no need to steal from us. The cartel Central Banks and proprietors of own the printing machine.

Hi Jessica,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I got the Green Dot card to give my credit a 20 point boost that I needed. I ordered it on July 6, 2018 and it reported on July 10, 2018 to ALL three credit bureaus WRONG. Green Dot reported my annual 49 dollar fee as my credit limit. My score dropped 200+ points with all the bureaus!!! It looks as if I maxed out a 49 dollar credit card (which I hadn't even received at the time). I called Green Dot and I was told that to contact the credit bureaus and send them a letter explaining what happened. Green Dot said they would report it correctly for Aug 10, 2018 and there is nothing else they can do to get my initial credit back to where it was before they destroyed it. But, the damage is already done. I now have to rebuild my credit from the dumps because of their error.

Hi Christina,

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

First of all, I realize everyone has to work; however, Green Dot should employ individuals who can speak clearly and effectively the English language. Every time that I have had to call in, I never ever have spoken with someone who is American. Secondly, I had a good experience for the first seven months of my use with my Green Dot debit card. However, during my eighth month, I experienced a problem receiving my direct deposit insurance payment. There has never been a problem before but all of a sudden, the representatives can't tell me when my money will hit or why it hasn't posted to my account yet. Bad business GREEN DOT!

Lastly, I wouldn't be so upset about it if the reps weren't so nasty acting or if some type of compensation was given to me. You see Green Dot, I am a single mother and bank literally on every penny that I earn. I was assured my money would be posting today as I had no other money, no breakfast money, no lunch money. When I really needed you (Green Dot) you really let me down. I hope others read this post and think twice before joining with your service. Shame on you!

Hi Frances,

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Green Dot Bank closed my account with $900.00 in my account, this was in Dec. Just before Christmas. I was trying to install mobile app it asked to verify myself when I did it couldn't verify and closed the link to send more verification. I still haven't received any of my money. I now have to get a Lawyer involved.

Updated on 08/16/2018: Green Dot Bank contacted Me... But IT'S Thursday morning. 1st I called too early. They were Closed. Now I'VE called 5 times and each time I get a recording of Hours of operations, and my call CAN'T be answered at this time call back later. Wow, what a kick in the Gut...

Hi Elena,

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

When I load money on to my card I then try to use my card to pay bills! Every time I try to use the card I get a decline notice. It won’t allow me to use the card until the next day. I end up getting late fees by my merchant! I called Green Dot customer service and it was terrible. She wasn’t listening to me and proceeded to repeat herself! Which explains the card and the level of service. Never using the card again. Just sticking with my credit union. Their fees are cheaper anyways! Wouldn’t recommend this card.

Hi Corrine,

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Have used this service for years. Never again!!! I guess they have a new policy where you have to upload your ID. Have tried several times!!! Still no money! If I knew this was the case, I would have never done this. The whole purpose of this service is the instant funds. Not to wait a few days. Now I have a past due bill because I can't get my funds!!! If my funds are not uploaded today, this company will be reported. Not only by the BBB, but my local news station outlets and my Neighborhood App. If you need your funds within a few days DO NOT USE THIS "NEW" ID METHOD!!!

Hi Joyce,

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I have a Walmart MoneyCard and Green Dot sent me a card to use, and it works just like Walmart MoneyCard. But they don't tell you as soon as you put money on Green Dot card they take 10.00 from you. What the hell kind of card is that. Steal your money right away, now that should be a lawsuit and a half. Any attorneys out there. I'm in if you need to sue these guys. ** card and company, go Walmart MoneyCard.

Hi Matthew,

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I would like to express the fact I'm sure everyone would like to know before investing in a card through your direct deposit accts. I opened mine. Had several hundred dollars direct deposit into the account. It's been over 12 weeks I'm still trying to get my money. I've been calling and, sending email documents with no resolution. I never thought I'd have issues with a couple of card you could buy in the United States and at a Walmart nearby. I'm just putting it out there that somebody else doesn't have the problems I've had with your company. Thank you for everything Green Dot. Everybody you've been notified... Till it's resolved I'll be back to fill the world in.

Hi Derek,

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Green Dot has had $800 of my money held for over a month. I made a transfer from Paypal and they flagged the transaction and wanted me to prove my identity. I sent my ID and never heard anything even after the 5 days they said it would take. Then when I called back, they said the ID was unreadable, and to send proof of my direct deposit. I sent both while on the phone with the representative and she said it was fine, the hold would be lifted in 5 business days.

Then after 5 more days without my money, I called again and the representative said the proof of direct deposit wasn't adequate. I explained that I didn't have direct deposit and it was a one time transfer from Paypal. She said there was a misunderstanding and that she was escalating this to corporate and everything would be cleared up in 24 hours. 5 days later and now when I call, I get the automated message that I have called about this issue and it is still not cleared up and to resend the information requested.

How can my employer, other credit companies and banks confirm identities in minutes and Green Dot not be able to do it instantly, What a scam. I am contacting the Attorney General of my state, of California. I am also filing complaints with every Federal agency that I can. There is no reason this company should be able to hold my money for a month. At the least they should at least reverse the deposit and just give me my money back. I would never recommend this company to anyone!!! Avoid at all costs!!

Hi William,

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Do Not Get This Card!!! My husband lost his card and now he’s being treated like a criminal to get a new one sent out. The card has been block for suspicious account after we reported it stolen. HOW? Once I report it stole the card should have been deactivated so who could have been trying to use it. Then the process will take a full month to get a new card. Thank goodness I have an actual bank to make sure our bills get paid or we would be on the street. I’ve been telling my husband that since he got the card to consider using a bank but he likes the option of getting his check sooner. And when I called to speak with a supervisor the person told me they were a supervisor. WOW. Never known supervisor to sit and take calls and just by my luck I got one and I needed one. Yeah right! She refused to get anyone else on the line for me. These types of experiences are uncalled for.

Hi Kennedria,

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I tried to deposit money that was more than the limit you set on deposits. With no success. It became inconvenience. Is there anything that can be done about depositing more money than the limit set without paying bank fees for having to make several transaction. To get the money in one's account!

Hi Robert,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I had unauthorized charges on Aug 1, someone had gotten my card, opened a PayPal account and withdrew est $800. I called Green Dot, only thing they would do was cancel card and send me a new at $4.95. I called again the next day because the charges were pending, I was informed I had to wait for them to post. I then called back 3 days later to check on status and nothing had been done. So I filed a dispute over the phone and was told it would take up to 7 days for the money to be returned. So on the 8th I called again and was told I need to fill out a paper dispute to complete the claim. I was then inform it takes up to 2 weeks to process and 10 days for money to be returned.

Now if you add it up that's Sep 3. Here is how they stole my money, I called Paypal also on Aug 1 and explained what happened. Paypal had completed the dispute and claim by Aug 5 which is a Sunday and reversed the charges. On Aug 8 the money was back in my account only to have Green take the money and reverse the refund because I have a dispute. WTH. They said when I called that I had an open dispute and the money was not mine. WHAT. So in order to get my money that I worked on getting not Green Dot, money I got refunded not Green Dot, Green Dot wants to hold because I have not completed my dispute with them. Not only that they held my wife $2550 payroll that has nothing to do with the dispute. This is 100% illegal as from what I was told they only have 10 days to return the money.

Hi Carl,

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

My card number information was stolen! 2 purchases were made online with ASOS.com. I called the company to dispute. One they reversed but one had "left the building" they were unable reverse. I called Green Dot on July 10th. On July 24th (2 wks after my dispute) Green Dot "said" they made ONE phone call to the company. In chatting with the company I was told no one picks up that phone and there is no machine. ASOS only does business via "chat", email and social media. My dispute has been extended to 45 days! And still only 1 phone call has been made. This could be resolved in 5 min! No one at Greendot will fix my issue!!! Horrible service.

Hi Pepper,

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I like the service you provide and have no serious complaints. I gave you a 3 out of 5 because sometimes at cash registers my card doesn't work even though there's definitely money on it, and then I have to go and find an atm and get charged $5 for taking out my own money when I should've been able to use my card.

Hi Anthony,

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I emailed your company a few days ago about difficulty logging in. I could still login, but it took awhile. I also told your company that it was crucial that I was able to monitor my account in 2-3 days because of a pending possible loan for a new motorcycle. It's almost like you did this on purpose, because I can't login at all now, and my 401-k money is supposed to be deposited on my card by now, and I can't login to my account to tell if it has. Please tell me this is just a coincidence, because right now I'm just short of being livid, and going to close this account out if this doesn't get resolved immediately.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am currently having trouble logging in to my account, and over the next 2-3 days there will be over $2000 deposited on my card, and most of it is for a downpayment on a new Indian motorcycle. If I have problems getting that downpayment money off my card, that could be catastrophic. Also, could you please send me a new card, because after 3 years it's quite beat up, and I'm having difficulty with the card readers at stores now. As far as the card I get my weekly paycheck deposited on, I've had no trouble at all. I didn't care at all for your pre-paid credit card, and would never go through that debacle again. Thank you for your time. My current address is- Bradley **.

Hi Bradley,

We're so happy to hear that you're satisfied with our services. Mission Accomplished! We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Green Dot Card and all its great features. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have no issue with this card. It does what it says it will do and I never have to worry about a surprise with Green Dot. I like that they constantly have surveys to better their services so you can have an opinion.

Hi Daychavon,

Great Feedback! We appreciate your feedback and thank you for choosing Green Dot as your alternative to traditional banking. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Green Dot are thieves, if they can't verify your information especially after you send in a copy of your drivers license to them 5 times, and they completely block your card, then they tell you, "You can never have a card with us again." I tried 5 times to get this issue resolved, I still have money on this card, that I will never see again. The kicker is I'm on disability, that's all the money I get. Green Dot sucks, stay away from them.

Hi Michael,

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I’ve had a great experience with my Green Dot card. I love the direct deposit option and love that I can get alerts letting me know when a certain amount has been spent. I love the ease of keeping track of what and how I spend money. I also LOVE that I can stash money in the vault and unstash it when I need to. The only two complaints I have is where I live there isn’t an atm that doesn’t charge a big fee for withdrawals. If I want to make a withdrawal from an ATM I end up getting charged 6-8 bucks between the fee from the bank and the fee from green dot. The complaint is being charged to load my card. If I have a paycheck and take it to Walmart to cash I get charged a fee then I get charged another fee to load it on my card. I realize that may be on Walmart’s end and not green dot's but it is annoying to spend 7.00 just to load my card. Overall though I highly recommend the card!

Hi Joy,

We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to be your alternative to traditional banking. We also thank you for your recommendation. A recommendation from a satisfied customer is the best compliment we can get! Please feel free to contact us via private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I like most everything about the card, except that there is a monthly fee. I had one before and if you deposited over a certain amount per month, you were not charged a fee. I really liked that. I have had this new card for about eight months now.

Hi Jolene,

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

The card is great but I would like to update so I don't have 10 dollars coming out each month and it would be nice if you didn't have to wait a year to use your cash back rewards other that I like this card.

Hi Donna,

We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to be your alternative to traditional banking. We also thank you for your recommendation. A recommendation from a satisfied customer is the best compliment we can get! Please feel free to send us a private message if you have any questions or concerns.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My experience with Green Dot has been good. Keep up the good work!! I receive my paychecks a day earlier than my coworkers, and my bills is withdrawn without any problems. I haven't had to pay any bank fees, that's great.

Hi Gregory,

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

The Stash/Unstash feature is great, but it's frustrating when it takes a while for the money to move or appear. The time it takes to load transactions is ridiculous. I don't understand the Cash-Back Tracker. How do I've already reached the $100 but only completed 4 of the 12 months... I don't understand the benefit of this.

Hi Sydnie,

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I think that there shouldn't be a fee or at least a smaller fee for the people who gets direct deposits. There are times when you take the 9.95 out of my account which sends me in arrears. I utilize your services weekly and this will be very helpful and a lot less stressful. Thanks in advance.

Hi Latonya,

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I’ve been having way too many problems which the app. Currently at the moment I’m not even able to move my money from the vault and am unable to even pay for anything. Not to mention half of the time I’m not even able to see transactions.

Hi Jmarcus,

We'd like to have someone look into the technical issues you’re having with the website. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I purchased a visa gift card for my 12 yr old daughter for her birthday so I wouldn't have to worry about cash in her hands. Upon activating it so she could use it I was immediately charged 8$ for a MONTHLY FEE. This is on top of the 5 or 6$ I paid to get and load the card. This is ridiculous and I will never get a card from them again or load this card once the funds are used up.

Hi Scott,

Green Dot expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.

• Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.

• Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.

• Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.

• Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.

• Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.

• Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

3465 E. Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena
www.greendot.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business