2.42/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Gallery (3)
View More View More

4982 Green Dot Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

They say the only way to activate this card is through their website. I received this as a gift and every time I try and activate it says, "Sorry we’re having technical difficulty." So basically they stole my friend's $50. Would never ever recommend anyone ever use these cards.

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Green Dot Corporation

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Loaded funds on a card yesterday at Walmart so I could make a payment. Merchant told me that they couldn't accept prepaid card so I went back to reverse the transaction. They told me that I have to have the PIN. I called customer service because I can't log in. When I push 5 they said that they can't verify me. I have bill money sitting on this card that I can't get to.

Hi S,

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have 2 cards with this company. One of which I haven't seen in months. The other was just lost recently. I have been trying to report these cards lost for over a week now. Every time I call the customer service number I can't get anywhere cause it keeps asking me for the last 4 digits of the card I'm calling about. Obviously if the cards have been missing I don't know the last 4 digits. This is the worst company with the absolute worst customer service I have ever encountered in my life. I wouldn't recommend your card if it came with free cash on it. Not worth the hassle. Trying to speak to an actual human being has literally drove my heart rate up.

Hi Maurice,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Definitely deserves 10 ZEROES. This has been a complete nightmare. I had a transaction deducted from my account on 9/20/18. I filed a disputed as instructed and the represented told me it would take 10 business day to resolve the dispute. I called on the 11th business day and received another date of 45 days to resolve the issue. At that point I closed the account. Today I found out the company sent the money back. I went to log into the prepaid account and there it was just sitting there since the 8th October. I call the customer service line and they stated the only way to receive my money is for them to send it by mail in a check form which will take another 10 days. In which I check the website this morning and was still lied to regarding my refund. Stay far away. I have now consulted a consumer fraud attorney and will proceed with damages if not resolved within the next 24 hours.

Hi Kim,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

I have the Green Dot 5% cashback card. Have had direct deposit since last October 31st. Made my first load on the 10th of October. Over the past year I've maintained my account, kept direct deposit and have accrued 68.00 in cash back. According to the legal info in the deposit agreement after 1 year and 1 day which would have been this October 12th I should have been eligible to receive my cashback bonus yet that didn't happen. It still says month 11 of 12 keep going until you get to 12 months.

Every month Like clockwork it updates on the 12th yet now that my rewards are due it hasn't. I've called customer service numerous times and everytime it's a different reason or excuse if I get one at all as to why I don't have my rewards. The last was from a supervisor who was completely useless. I feel like this card is a complete scam. I should have had my rewards and I have nothing but wasted hours on the phone with an inexperienced and unknowledgeable customer service department. A bigger headache and feeling defrauded.

I will be cancelling my direct deposit and closing my account. This whole situation is unfortunate and just wrong especially for a company as large as Green Dot! Anyone even thinking about this card should be warned! Do NOT unless you like to be scammed, lied to or to feel cheated even waste your time with a company like this! Simple Chime MoneyLion are much better options! Unbelievable to me that 5 reps and a supervisor all had different thoughts yet no one for sure can tell me why AFTER ONE YEAR I still can't get my rewards. Another supervisor was supposed to call me back but never did! Again don't get scammed by this company! Take your business elsewhere!

Hi Christine,

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I purchased a Green Dot card so I had direct deposit for my new job. I had called the number on the back of the card and asked a representative if it would be an issue for my husband's check to be direct deposited as well, and they had said "No. it won't be a problem, just give his employer the direct deposit information." At this point, this has been a great experience and easy transition. My husband and I paychecks go in a few days ago and suddenly my account is locked! I called the number on the back of the card again, now I can't get a live person... Sat on hold for almost 2 hours waiting! I hung up and decided to call later. I called again when I actually had more than an hour to sit on hold. Now the automated system tells me my account is locked until the documents have been sent in for verification, that the status of my account hasn't changed, AND HANGS UP!

At this point I'm broke, confused and seriously angry. It took me several calls just to get a live person, and they gave me an email address and a list of documents to email in... Ok great. This might finally be over... Nope! I call again the next day to see if my documents have been received. They can't confirm if they have or not. And made sure to remind me that my case number needed to be in the subject line of my email. Um what case number? Never was told that either! So here I sit. Almost a week later. 3 weeks without a paycheck. Can't pay my bills... Because Green Dot locked my account down for some reason they can't give me. And it's still going to be 5 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE I CAN ACCESS MY MONEY. IF VERIFICATION WAS GOOD ENOUGH! I will be ripping all of my money out the second this is done, and will be shredding this thing! Worst experience ever!

Hi Shauna,

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I bought a Green Dot prepaid card and was told to use the online option. My account has since been blocked and I can't get any money off. When I try to call customer service I can't get anyone to talk to me. I am VERY frustrated. I have children to take care of and need my money.

Hi Erica,

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

This is by far the worst experience using a prepaid card. I got my check deposited and the next day they froze my account!!! They told me I needed to send my ID and check stubs which I have done SEVERAL times. Now I can't even get through to talk to someone about my money. I'm in the second week of dealing with this mess. The automated system tells me it would only take 1 to 2 business days for the hold to be lifted. I AM STILL WAITING!!! I can't understand the poor customer service reps. And all they do is read from a ** paper saying, "I understand your frustrations." No you don't! I'm now facing eviction and I can't even buy my kids formula or diapers!!! And all you can say is you can't transfer me to an AMERICAN and there is no one else I can talk to. And that "corporate" has to call me back. Please do not get one of these cards.

Hi Michael,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have the Green Dot app and have been trying for 2 days to deposit my check. All I get is, "Cannot deposit at the moment. There seems to be an issue on our end." I have used Green Dot for years and have never have a problem until now. It's quite sad as I have been a loyal customer since they first started Green Dot prepaid cards.

Hi Christina,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

It's only been this past year that 2 of my rent checks had not been received by my landlord. I was able to contact customer service via their chat function for the first check back in March of this year. She was fantastic. I explained the situation (granted, a few times because of communication issues) and she was able to refund the money back to my account so I could re-send a new check. This month, it happened again. Got a call from the landlord stating that, as of today 10-12-18, the check I'd authorized to be sent on 09-28, was never received.

With no "stop payment" function available, I am stuck until I can get in contact with support. I've been trying and trying to access the chat function to get this resolved but it has been "closed". I can't afford to send another $1540 in the hopes I'll be refunded again later. I need a resolution as quickly as possible. Like I said previously, I've really had nothing but great experiences with this card. I am considering changing the bill pay though since there's really no accountability or, ability to track the "check" that is sent. You're basically sending a money order without the benefit of a receipt. :-/ Help?

Hi Amber,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Until recently I had no problems with Green Dot. I have been a customer for about 3 years. Unfortunately there was a fraudulent charge of 519.26 charged to my card on September 25 2018. I was able to contact the vendor and cancel the order before the merchandise was sent to the fraudulent address. However Green Dot has not charged back my account for the amount noted above. I have since disputed the charges and had the vendor place a conference call to Green Dot corporate dispute resolution customer service and myself.

The representative gave vague information and was unable to identify what specific information they needed from the vendor to resolve my issue. Further conversation revealed that Green Dot had not initiated any correspondence to the vendor which would have settled my dispute. More challenging the representative then informs me that my dispute which was suppose to conclude in 10 days will now continue for about 45 more days. Again how can a matter get investigated if the merchant has not be contacted through any means of communication? Sadly this is how this financial institution conducts business. Today is October 12 2018 and still no avail.

Hi Jemila,

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I purchased a prepaid Green Dot prepaid visa card like I do weekly to pay my bills. I purchase it, and put the amount of money I need for my bills. Well I paid 3 of my bills, and now it is claiming there is no more money on the card! When there should still be $116.00 on it. Have been trying for 2 weeks to get in touch with someone, because I really need that money. Can someone please help. I cannot get in touch with a live person!

Hello Gina,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

On Oct.7th I used my card at a gas pump at Kroger. The pump wouldn't accept my card so I decided to go somewhere else, and when I did my card said, "Insufficient funds." I didn't have much money on the card just 84$ but it was gone! So I go back to Kroger to explain and ask for a refund. Of course I was told by them that there was nothing they could do and call Green Dot for a refund, at this point I'm very ANGRY! I call Green Dot and explain. I was told my money would be loaded back onto my card so I said, "Fine."

The charge stayed in pending status until Oct.11th. I wake up on the 12th to see if the money has been refunded but the money was out of pending status but the transaction was completely gone! So I call Green Dot and they told me to go back to Kroger who wouldn't help me the first time for the refund but when I talked to that last Sunday it was no problem. Basically I'm saying Kroger let me down and so has Green Dot. My money was STOLEN from me!

Hi Travis,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Thank you so much for allowing a hacker steal the last $300 out of my bank account. I tried calling the number on my card for 45 minutes today but got zero results. I tried emailing support through your system but got zero results. I now have no money for the next 2 weeks to support my family. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR NO HELP AT ALL!!! After I filed a written dispute of the send money feature Green Dot called to verify that I didn't know the person to whom the money was sent. I told them I didn't know the person and that my account was HACKED!!! I provided PROOF that I was hacked!!! They denied the dispute and kept my $300!!! I have documented proof that I was hacked, and that I called Green Dot immediately!!! And yet they still denied my dispute and stole my money!!!

Hi Linda,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

If you can't active the card try online. There are several kinds. "MAKE sure you Pick the one you have", or you will be creating an account you didn't ask for and they will say they are shipping you a card nobody asked for. There is an option for a refund that will take up to 10 days it says. I tried to activate it as well. Had to been about 10 times before I got home. I got this dumb ** card for my son and put his allowance of $60.00 on it only to find out by trying to activate it there will be an 7.95 fee whether I use it or not. He didn't want to wait 10 days so he's gonna take the $8 loss. Once the money's off oh it's cancelled. Your company should be ashamed of the way you do business. You made an otherwise good financial learning experience a NIGHTMARE!

Hi Gina,

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have been using the Intuit TurboTax prepaid debit card owned by Green Dot bank. I have been using this card for a year now and have had no issues. When I got married and moved, I could not get a person on the phone to help me change my name and address. Fast forward to last Thursday, October 4, 2018 my card was blocked due to suspicious activity. I was asked to upload an image of my drivers license on the banking website to verify my identity. No shock that the verification failed because my last name had changed. They permanently closed my account and I had quite a bit of money on the card. I have emailed and called and begged and pleaded to know what’s happening with my money.

I have been told for SEVEN DAYS to “please wait one to two business days for a callback. That will be tomorrow before 9:00 pm your time”. No one can give me the number for corporate that is supposed to be calling me back. I cannot buy my blood pressure medicine (hello stroke if it gets too high), I cannot buy my asthma inhaler. I can’t buy groceries or put gas in my car. All of my money is tied on that card and not one single person will tell me what happens to my money.

I have filed a complaint with the Federal Reserve Consumer Help website. I want everyone to share this. This company is crooked. They are essentially STEALING my money that I have busted my ** for and if you know anyone who uses any of their services, warn them now. Stop. Get your money away from them as soon as possible so you aren’t stuck like I am. Please share this. This card was pushed when I filed my taxes so I had my taxes put on it and then closed my bank accounts because the monthly fees were lower. Don’t make my mistake. Don’t trust these greedy, corrupt companies that own and promote this card.

Hi Ashley,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

All went well for more than 2 years, until I reported a small unauthorized transaction in early August 2018. The card was canceled and replaced, but I could not access the account nor customer service in any way until I provided I.D. verification. I did so, and 2 days later was informed the account was canceled, though I complied with all requirements. I was assured in writing I could use the substantial balance on the account. I was unable to do so and humiliated in a store as a result of the card being declined.

When I complained about this, I was told the card could not be used and a replacement check would be sent to my address in 2 weeks. In spite of my having no issues with the mail nor with Green Dot communications for 2 years, that check and another one never reached me. Green Dot refused to courier a payment, though I suffered significant damages from the unavailability of funds.

As I requested a couriered payment, after more than two months, I was told I would be called by a supervisor; since that didn't happen, I was informed a corporate manager would call me: still waiting. A supervisor finally called while I was teaching a class, without leaving a call back number. I was told that there was no way for me to return a call. More than two months after the small unauthorized transaction I reported, Green Dot has failed to refund much needed moneys it acknowledged owing to me, and has virtually created a communication wall. I strongly advise anyone not to do business with this entity.

Hi T Andrew,

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I bought a MoneyPak reload card for my son. When he tried to use it, it said it was flagged for suspicious activity. There was nothing suspicious about it. I was able to reach someone (after a great deal of effort), I sent the receipt and a photo of the back of the card. They made me wait two weeks to get my money back, but then only reimbursed the amount on the card, not the fee. Why should I have to pay the $5.95 fee when MoneyPak decided on a whim to cancel the card? I should have gotten my full cost returned. We did not do anything wrong or make any errors in this process. I feel very cheated by Green Dot MoneyPak.

Hi Suzanne,

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was billed 500.00 on 8/27/2018 for my prepaid deposit to get a Green Dot credit card. My credit reports show it as a balance of 49.00 lowering my scores. Yet I have no card yet. I've called Green Dot over and over, as the phone operators passed the buck. I want my money with interest now. You would charge me with over 35 in charges if I did that to you. I want my money!!! You're a con of a company. No email addresses and only a post office box... I want my money.

Hi Marty,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Yesterday I went to Dollar Tree to get a Green Dot Card. I put in $10 and I registered it and I was gonna purchase something today but the card declined so I check to see my balance and they took $7.50 just for a monthly fee. Please I just need my $10 for the battle pass.

Hi Ken,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Hello, We moved out of state and didn't have a local bank, but we needed to make a car payment. Put 500.00 on the Green Dot card and now it can't be used... Now we don't know what to do and Green Dot has no live customer service... -_-

Hi Brian,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My gift card says it must be registered before it can be used. I registered it and when I checked to make sure it showed the correct amount of $250. it showed -0 - and said I had made a purchase to Amazon the week before NOT. How did the transaction go through if the card wasn't even yet registered? I have heard from Green Dot (finally after 2 months) and am told I have to contact Amazon. Amazon tells me I have to contact Walmart...Walmart tells me there is nothing they can do. So my hands are tied.

Hi Donna,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

My card is saying invalid. It have been doing this since day 1. It never gave me a option to give a PIN let alone enter any of my information. This going on a week and all the customer service representatives have been giving me the run-around or feeding me some bullcrap. I am furious. I need my money or for this card to be working asap. I don't have money to just throw away. I have kids and bills. So one need to get in touch with me about!

Hi Precious,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

So I was waiting for a huge direct deposit, I go look on my Green Dot app to see if it went on my card. Then it says my account has been blocked and under review. I've been waiting for this deposit all weekend. I have three kids to feed and bills to pay. I need my account blocked asap or I'll start blasting this company on all social media sites.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Purchased MoneyPak card that comes up "invalid" when attempting to load to my debit card. No refund or response after numerous emails, phone calls, letters to this company. Non-existent customer service.

Hi Robert,

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Somebody is attempting to steal my identity through Green Dot. 3-5 times a day at least over the last couple of months I'm getting emails addressed to another person with instructions and a temporary code to reset my password through Green Dot. I have never had an account with Green Dot or have even used one before. These emails will not stop and Green Dot provides no way for me to get in touch with them. I tried calling their number and can't even talk to anybody without a card number. I tried submitting a fraud complaint form and that wouldn't go through either.

I am left without any ability to contact this company while somebody else attempts to steal my identity and use a fraudulent account with them. This is unbelievable and incredibly frustrating. It's almost as if they welcome this kind of criminal activity. If anybody from Green Dot reads this, contact me ASAP with resolution. If you're a potential customer, I'd sure steer well clear since they have no desire to offer help when people abuse their services.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I reached out to the bank as I was recently married in regards to name change. They acted as if nothing needed to be done and then when my check was direct deposited into my account it was placed on hold. We are going on 11 days and I’m unable to buy food Or pay my share of the rent. Due to husband’s timing in his paycheck we are completely lacking funds. I submitted them with the verifications to show name change and they never received them and would never let me speak to anyone. I sent In pictures, photocopies, everything from my work email and personal email. They finally found one of them and said it was unacceptable.

Forwarded the message again and they received it however would take 5 days. Contacted after 5 days and advised was missing a copy of the direct deposit from my employer! I have kept copies of everything and have proof it was submitted and on file. My landlord is getting extremely upset to say the least. I am getting harassing phone calls from other places because I can’t pay my bills. Keep being told it’s pending review. But it should not be that hard to verify.

Hi Amanda,

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

On September 29th someone went into Winder, GA and purchased $1,032.00 In prepaid gift cards with a fake card that was made on my account. I’ve contacted Greendot 5 Times and even spoke with an account manager with my attorney present on speaker phone and was assured that my money would be refunded back onto my account on Oct 8th. Walgreens has the man on camera buying the cards and they even called me the next day when the same man came back and tried to do this again! Well today the money wasn’t refunded so I called Greendot back once again only to be told the investigation had been extended. This was all of the money and my family had to our names and can’t even buy food while Greendot sits back and does nothing.

Any other bank would’ve flagged the card immediately since this was done in a state I don’t reside in as well as this amount of transactions being done at a Walgreens. This has been the most horrible experience I’ve ever had. I’m canceling my direct deposit with these guys and am praying this doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Hi Cassie,

Resolution response: Oct. 9, 2018

have been using the Greendot Card. I have my paycheck directly deposited also. Then they suggest I use the mobile app. Then ask to verify my ID which i downloaded at least 10 times. They blocked my account. All my money is in there. Caused my direct deposit to not go in. I can not get a representative on the phone to save my life and they have my money and i cant get it back or use my card. They are stealing from me as far as i am concerned. It is a scam and i think i need to get a lawyer. This is absolutely the worst company i have ever dealt with and i can not believe Visa puts their name with this company.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have been using the Greendot Card. I have my paycheck directly deposited also. Then they suggest I use the mobile app. Then ask to verify my ID which I downloaded at least 10 times. They blocked my account. All my money is in there. Caused my direct deposit to not go in. I cannot get a representative on the phone to save my life and they have my money and I can't get it back or use my card. They are stealing from me as far as I am concerned. It is a scam and I think I need to get a lawyer. This is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with and I cannot believe Visa puts their name with this company.

Hello Melissa,

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My son passed away almost 3 weeks ago and I have been waiting to use the money deposited to the Green Dot card to pay for the funeral. I went through several people in customer service. I couldn’t understand they forced me to send driver's license pictures and other info involving me so I could get the card to unlock which has been at least 2 weeks since I started this with Green Dot. Now the funeral home is saying I have to do something this week before it is too late. I will never use this service again nor will I refer anyone to them. I have a meeting Monday with a lawyer to take them to small claims court so I’ll keep everyone informed on what happens to see what we can all do.

Hi Jonathen,

Green Dot expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.

• Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.

• Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.

• Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.

• Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.

• Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.

• Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg