Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

Pros

• No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals

Cons

• $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Bottom Line

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Top Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Verified

Green Dot is the greatest thing ever. It’s much easier to bank with and I get no late fees, hidden fees or phone calls. The alert message telling me how much is in my account is a...

Verified

I like not dealing with the bank. I was getting my paychecks put on the Green Dot card and it's easy to use. Also, I have the app where I can check my balance. A lot of times when...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is Green Dot?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are reloadable debit cards that serve as an alternative to traditional bank accounts and let you load your paychecks directly onto the card for free. The company provides an easy-to-use mobile app and flat-rate monthly fees, and the card is accepted anywhere in the U.S. that accepts Visa.

Prepaid cards are easier to get approved for than some other types of banking solutions, which makes them a good option for those with bad or no credit.

Other people who like the flexibility and control of prepaid cards include:

• People traveling across the country
  • Parents giving kids an allowance
  • People who want to manage their spending
  • People who don’t like traditional banks

How do Green Dot cards work?

You can easily set up a Green Dot prepaid card to receive direct deposits from paychecks, government deposits or tax returns for free. You can also use the mobile app to deposit checks online.

Once you’ve put funds onto the card, it can be used like any other debit card. It can be used anywhere that accepts Visa, so it's accepted at many locations around the world. Many retailers, including Kroger and 7-Eleven, allow for free cash withdrawals when you check out.

How much are Green Dot cards?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards has a $7.95 monthly charge for users who deposit less than $1,000 on the card each month. There is no monthly fee for those who deposit more than $1,000 per month. It costs $3 to withdraw money from ATMs and around $6 to reload cash onto the card.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards also offer:

• Free direct deposit
  • Free ACH transfers
  • Free mobile check deposit
  • Free mobile app
  • Free withdrawals from select stores

Green Dot FAQ

How do I access my Green Dot account?
You can either use the company’s online website or mobile app to access your account.
What prepaid cards work with Green Dot?
Green Dot offers prepaid Visa cards.
What bank is associated with Green Dot?
Green Dot partners with Bonneville Bank and the U.S. Treasury.
Is Green Dot a real bank?
The Green Dot Corp. is an American financial technology and bank holding company.
How do I activate my Green Dot prepaid Visa card?
You can activate your Green Dot card on the company’s website.
Do Green Dot cards have a chip?
Yes, Green Dot cards have a chip for added protection.

Is Green Dot safe?

Green Dot prepaid cards are a good solution for customers who want more control over their spending without the hassle of using a traditional bank. Because the cards don’t help build credit, Green Dot Prepaid Cards aren’t the best long-term solution for building a better financial history. However, the reasonable monthly fees and free deposits, transfers and retailer withdrawals make the cards an affordable and straightforward solution that can be attractive to many.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Resolution response: April 20, 2021

I am happy to say my account was unblocked immediately 48hrs later.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I received my EIDL loan on my Green Dot account once my deposit posted. Green Dot blocked my account along with all my money I had in savings and required me to send my loan documents & ID front and back. I have children. I run a cleaning company. I am a sole proprietor and I also work for FedEx. Ground me and my kids can't buy anything to eat until my card is unblocked which they say it will be 2 days. And I think this is unfair but I understand protection of customers but they could have went about this a different way. Please unlock my account. Please I am begging. I love my Green Dot account and am happy with their services. I just need this resolved.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I still think they are a good company but they hold your money like a hostage to boost their profits and bottom line. Too many new inexperienced new hires and diversity training. They don't have after hours customer service which is a pain if it's important but not urgent. Banking in America is so out of whack with true customer fundamentals: they banks and customers are making, keeping, and spending less money because if all these restrictions, fraud alerts, etc .. whomever wrote these software programs have no real understanding because like most police departments it has not solved the problem but contrary to many contributed to it.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I was with Green Dot for five years. My only complaint is that I don't think they did reverse credits as quickly as they could have. My pension deposits were on time or early. They support associates who's names were always fake... Were very helpful except when challenged with advertisement versus truths.. I no longer use green dot by would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I really don't have an issue except for the cash back feature. I was really excited to get a chip card. Everyone was using one. I wanted to see what the hype was about. The card I have is cash back. When someone make purchases at certain stores you get money back. They say your account can't be in the negative. Thought I was getting money back.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Green Dot Prepaid Cards can be very convenient for people who don't have a bank account. I personally used these cards when the banks couldn't be trusted. I had a checking account with one of the "big" banks. The bank was accused of stealing personal account information from their customers. So, I didn't trust banks for a very long time. You also hear about banks charging outrageous fees and doing annoying robotic calls. With the Green Dot prepaid cards, you have more control over your money. Who else is the most trustful with your money but you?

Original review: July 21, 2021

DON'T USE THIS CARD. I had two GreenDot accounts. One I used all the time and one my husband used. I had accumulated over $450 in cash back rewards and was getting them back in September. Well someone hacked my account and I had to have it closed. When I asked about my cash back rewards I was told by four different people they could see it but I had to forfeit them and there was nothing they could do. They are a total scam. Don’t use them. I have told all my friends and family.

Original review: July 16, 2021

Do not buy any Green Dot card at any store!!! It's a scam!! They charge $3-$6 to buy the card, then the same day charge $7.95 monthly fee!!!! Do not buy one unless you want to lose money!!! Buy the visa gift cards that's already loaded, just stay away from Green Dot!!!

Original review: July 15, 2021

I have been a Green Dot Cashback Card member for over 5yrs now. There had been issues here and there but nothing major until now. On July 8, 2021 I sent my bf $300 via Green Dot to Greendot. After he claimed the money his account was blocked and ID verification was requested. He immediately addressed the issue and sent in the requested doc. After hours of chat online and phone calls and customer service giving him the runaround they closed his account and the funds which I sent to him. Now can't be access nor was refund to him nor I. I went and check my account and the same thing occurred and my account too was closed after I was asked to send in my ID. So basically our accounts were closed. The money still in the accounts is not accessible nor being return to us. We have a combine total of $350 cashback plus $349 in funds not return to us?

Customer service barely speaks English and we just get disconnected both on the phone and online. They refuse to return the money I sent my bf not to mention cheated us out of our Cashback reward of $350 of which $250 is due to me next month. I can't helped but feel I was robbed! Green Dot basically took our money closed our accounts and refuse to give us back the money we deposited and canceled our Cashback rewards funds. Every time we contact customer service we get a rhetorical answer "contact the original sender for the funds" which is me meanwhile they are holding the funds and closed the account. After hours of being place on hold we get disconnected! Don't do business with this company because at anytime they will close your account and keep your money!

Original review: July 13, 2021

There was an charge made to a company I don't even know. On both days I was home and they denied any reimbursement. 2 payments within a week and half for 86.61$$. 2 times whole on both occurrences I was home but Green Dot denied them. Not only that my points for the last 8 months haven't occurred after reaching the 100.00 mark either the supervisor couldn't even answer. Why??? They stink!! So if ya wanna lose money and pay 3.50 every time at an atm and don't want your points after 100.00$ Mark And get fees constantly then it's for you.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I have a Green Dot GO2 debit card and went to an authorized 7-11 and deposited $100. It never showed up in my account. So I called Green Dot and let's review what happened. Call #1 Verified my SS, Address, Phone #, DOB, explained what happened, and the person "Bob" said "I'll transfer you to dispute" then I hear a busy signal - wasted 15 minutes.

Call #2 Nice girl, had trouble speaking English, never got her name. Went through the same verification process with her and I told her to send me to dispute because that's where they sent me last time but then I got a busy signal. She stayed on the line for an hour while we waited for the Dispute dept to pick up. She tried to put in a ticket but said my card was "Invalid" despite her seeing nothing wrong with the card and Green Dot just took out their maintenance fees a few days earlier. FINALLY, after 55 minutes the Dispute dept picks up, and we go through the ENTIRE verification process again.

After spending another 15-minutes explaining my problem they tried to put in a ticket which I told them won't work because NOW there is something wrong with my card. But nevertheless, this guy, who can't speak English either, (I'm Not Racist LOL) spends another 10 minutes taking down all the info from my receipt then says "Oh the dispute Dept can't do anything...we don't deal with lost transactions, you'll have to talk to Customer services..." So he transfers me. A girl picks up and I say, "I WANT TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR.' She puts the phone down and I can hear her breathing but she won't say anything. After me saying "HELLOOO" for 15 minutes suddenly I get a busy signal.

Call #3 I tell the operator, "Please transfer me to customer services because I just wasted 2 hours with the dispute department" and they said I must speak with Customer service and the girl was like ???. Then after 10 minutes suddenly I get a busy signal. Call #4 person who can hardly speak English answers. I say "You people have already wasted 3 hours of mine, I WANT TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR," She says, "Fine," a few minutes later a supposed supervisor gets on but I hear all the same background operator noise so basically she handed the phone to the person next to her.

Nevertheless, I go through the entire verification process all over again, and she starts taking down all the info to put in a ticket and after telling her she can't put in a ticket... TAA DAA she says the Ticket can't go through and to WRITE A LETTER and send it to GO2bank P.O. Box 5100 Pasadena, CA 91117. I tell her "NOW I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR," She hangs up...so another 30 minutes wasted. Call #5 same story, same verification process, I tell the person, "GIVE ME YOUR SUPERVISOR..." Sup gets on. We go through the entire verification AGAIN. After spending 11 minutes explaining the problem, giving him all the info on the receipt he says "GO2 can't resolve the problem." I have to go to the 7-11. So I respond "NOW I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR,".

ANOTHER guy who CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH gets on and he says there is no one above him. He's the supreme supervisor...Of course, I laughed at him. I ask him what is his name and despite having a thick Indian accent he responds 'HECTOR'. I ask "Hector" what is his last name and he says "I can't give you that for security reasons" LOL. Anyway, we go through the whole verification process again. Clearly, he's reading off his step-by-step how to resolve a dispute when dealing with an insane American cue card. He starts asking me the EXACT...EXACT same questions to fill out a Ticket. So I ask him, "How are you going to file a ticket" when his computer is telling him that my debit card is invalid. He said he fixed the problem but when I asked what happened he said Due to security issues he can't tell me.

After a few moments, when he finally realizes his computer won't accept the ticket, he says "I sent the ticket but please send a copy of the receipt to this email address and explain the problem IN DETAIL about the who, what, when, and where of the transaction." In other words, all the info that he asked while filling out the ticket he said he sent in. Of course, he's lying about the ticket because why would I need to explain what happened IN DETAIL, if they had the ticket with all the same exact info? So I told him, "Have the person you're sending the Ticket to, send me an email and I will send the copy of my receipt. "Hector" then says and I quote "Please send a copy of the receipt to this email address and explain the problem in detail." I tell him "No, have whatever fictitious department you sent the ticket to, call me or email me because I'm not waiting days wondering if someone even OPENED THE GOD DAMN EMAIL!"

"Hector," says and I quote "Please send a copy of the receipt to this email address and explain the problem in detail." I respond, "Are you ** kidding me?" "Hector" says and I quote "Please send a copy of the receipt to this email address and explain the problem in detail." I said, "Is this a ** joke?" Hector cries "We don't tolerate abusive language" and hangs up.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Information