Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Outstanding customer service. Anytime we have questions or need information the Green Dot team have been accommodating. Our card was compromised and we received an unauthorized charge. Within days we had a full refund. Even though it was a small amount, we were pleased with the process.

Card is very easy to use and reload. I use it for vacation. That way no one has access to any of my other personal information or accounts. I load my card with my extra money I get from officiating high school sports and what's leftover from payday when I have overtime when I get it. Something I'd like to be considered would be when it's used you're notified when and where instantly. Just a thought.

I've had the best experience with my Green Dot card. It has afforded me all of the conveniences of having a traditional bank account. It's even better than banks because I can deposit money at the many convenient reload locations such as Rite Aid or Walmart during their business hours. My deposit is available for use within 15-30 minutes. I've used my card to book hotels, make online purchases, and everything else that I use my other visas for. With no overdraft fees to worry about, the monthly fee is nothing compared to what I've had to pay financial institutions in the past. I love my Green Dot card.

I have put $20.00 on card twice. The first time out of $20.00 my available funds was $11.05. Now put $20.00 more only have $7.10 available so saying account is overdrawn. So out of $40.00, I get 18.15. This is highway robbery. When it was told to me there was only a monthly charge of $7.95 not a refill amount with them also to reload every time. Also did not ask for a VIP card. Can't afford the Fee's that has accrued when on a fixed income and surely not have my monthly check on card wouldn't be able to pay no bills. The card would eat all my funds. Thank you but NO THANKS!!!

My card got stolen and the person who stole it used it. I had to call and cancel the card and reorder a new one for the fee which I was okay with except for the fact that I never received my card with my $90 that I still had left over on it and there's no way of knowing where it went and since I don't have the card number I can't even log in to order another one. It's very frustrating not being able to talk to a live person. I have gotten nowhere.

Hello Shelby,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 21, 2017

So I had my tax return sent to my husband's account but since my name's not on it. His Green Dot rejected it and said they sent it back... The IRS don't have it. It's been since Feb 23rd... Why wouldn't Green Dot notify him that it was rejected in the first place? They are full of **. I'm mad as hell. I have 2 kids and now I don't know what I'm going to do. This is fraud.

I have purchased 4 Green Dot debit cards, put 500 dollars in the each which is totaled up to 2000 dollars and when I tried to register it said "card has been registered". When I try to report it stolen nothing or no one can help. I call the number in the back of the card same thing useless. I just want someone to help me with this. After this I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW NEVER BUY THIS CARD. Unless you wanna give your money for free.

Hi Yvette,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss your concerns. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 17, 2017

Charges a lot and not what you put in is your balance. I bought a card today and I wanted to purchase something online and I couldn't since they took away $9.95 and my remaining balance is $13.05. That's a total ripped off from this company. Also they're asking for a social security. If it was a well known bank I would do it but a prepaid debit card that's so wrong.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Hi Katia,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss your experience with our customer service. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I try to register my brand new card and it tells me that it is already registered. I try to call and I cannot speak to anyone with a social security number, which I never entered or gave to anyone. Talking to a human is impossible. I thought this card would be a great alternative, now I am not so sure. I have money on a card that now I have no access to. And I can't get any help!

Hi Shatavia,

Original review: March 16, 2017

I have been with Green Dot for almost a year with no complaints. Recently I received a new card in the mail... I wasn't sure why but I thought maybe it was something that Green Dot does or that the new card was a solution to me being unable to reload my card at any store. Once I activated my card I tossed the old one in the trash thinking it would be no good anymore. When I finally got around to making an ATM withdrawal it said insufficient funds. I had $0 in my account. Come to find out the new card wasn't associated with my old account so the card I threw away was found and used and someone had went on a full blown shopping spree. I lost over $2000!!!! How does Green Dot even allow such transactions to occur especially when it's not equivalent to my spending habit???! Why didn't they lock the card and contact me?? So 3 going on 4 days later I still don't have my money back. I'm so disappointed.

I used my card to make an online purchase a few weeks ago. I never received the goods, but they still charged my account. I tried to resolve this issue first with the merchant. Got the runaround, had no luck, so I called Green Dot to dispute the charge. For the first 15 minutes of the phone call they tried telling me that I can't dispute the charge because it was "authorized". Like um yea, I just said I used the card but got no goods! This is a totally valid reason to dispute a transaction, as I do not want this crooked company just stealing my money! The useless agent continued to tell me the same lines in circles until I finally got a little heated and now it's under dispute. But he still told me not to expect anything since the transaction is authorized. Shake my head. If this is what you think proper banking customer service is, I'm happy to take my business elsewhere! Disgusting!

Hi Mike,

Original review: March 15, 2017

First of all a merchant charged my card $30 as a hold. Then it disappeared but the 30 dollars never credited back.. Poor security I guess.. 2nd thing is anytime I call customer service they speak poor English.. can't understand me and I definitely can't understand them.. Put a damn call center in the United States for US customers.. So I'm out 30 bucks because the Pakistan guy had no idea what I was trying to explain..

3rd... You can't log on to the app. It says password is wrong.. It's not.. I log on online with a computer fine.. You have to use a computer because it won't let you from a cell phone.. This whole thing is so preschool. I have a Chase credit card and the cs is 100000 times better. English and if I had 30 or 1000 dollars missing they would give it back and work it out on their time.. Actually any bank would do that.. I'm not happy.

Hi Raeann,

Original review: March 15, 2017

I got my tax refund put onto my Green Dot card last month. Had no issue until I logged onto my account and saw 3 transactions that were not from me. As soon as I noticed it I contacted them. The lady I spoke to helped me with my dispute told me I needed to email my dispute also so I did that day and even got a confirmation from them saying they got it. It's been a week later and called because my money is still not back into my account.

The lady I spoke to this time told me it may not be in my account until March 22 and said I needed email my dispute. I told her, "You guys have it. I emailed it a week ago." This fraudulent transactions happen on February 26. This is my money, not a loan and still don't have it. This is ridiculous. I won't get my money until they investigate it. I'm out over 1200$, any other bank cares about their customers and will temporarily credit you if there is fraudulent charges. Now I can't go on vacation like I planned since I'm out over 1200 because some jerk took my money and Green Dot doesn't care whatsoever. Horrible horrible bank!!!

Hi LaChandra,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We are glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 13, 2017

I have had Green Dot a year... and this is the first year I get my taxes. Well unfortunately it was stolen off my card from the person who supposedly did my taxes. This lady stole my PIN number and all. I called Green Dot and did a dispute for them within two days of this happening. I was told to contact IRS and local authorities which was done. She was taken to jail. To make a long story short I disputed all these miraculous transactions this person made and GREEN DOT BASICALLY SAID SCREW ME. Because most of those transactions were PIN based (hence she has been around me enough to know the PIN number). So now I'm screwed out of $3800 bucks because Green Dot refuses to give me my money back. At this point I'm working with a lawyer and more. I have recorded all phone calls with them as well. But Green Dot you will NEVER EVER GET MY SERVICE AGAIN.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I have had my card for several years. Recently, my debit card number was stolen and used in another state (I live in Colorado and the card was used in Michigan). The thieves charged over $1800 in 16 separate transactions in a two hour time period. During the same time I was in Colorado using my card. Green Dot has denied my claim. Every time I have called I've received different information and had to wait days to get any information back. I'm disappointed that they don't take care of their card holders better than this. Other banks and credit cards protect their customers. I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

Hi Cindy,

We attempted to contact you regarding your concern. If you still require assistance, please call the number left on your voicemail. We are here to help.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 12, 2017

I purchased the Green Dot prepaid card at Walmart. Activated it and attempted to use on ebay. Denied, denied, denied. Suppose to be a VISA backed card. Green Dot though subtracted their monthly charge of 7.95. This apparently has been a problem with Green Dot and Walmart is selling them currently. 2017.

I my Green Dot! They are pretty much perfect if you really want my opinion. I have more money in my account because I'm not charged fees every which way I turn! So convenient, I just signed up for direct deposit and there is no charge over a certain amount, which I knew I would be depositing that much or more, so it was a win win for me! I tell everyone how much I love my Greendot! I would recommend them over conventional banking anyday!

Hi William,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 10, 2017

I received a card in the mail after receiving numerous emails telling me the card was on the way. I did not order this card, yet it arrived today. I do not want the card. I called up customer service and was put on hold for 45 minutes. I foolishly hung up, called back and was put on hold for... you guessed it another 45 minutes. Finally someone came on, a supervisor who closed the account for me and flagged my information so that no other accounts can be opened with my information. I was originally leaving one star because the customer service truly stinks, but now that my issue is resolved I increased it to two stars. I would really say 2.5 stars only because at 3 stars I am "satisfied" and believe me, I am far from satisfied overall. The lady that helped me deserves five stars, but overall stink-o-rama.

Hi Lateenice,

Original review: March 9, 2017

My refund was deposit on March 7, 2017. It was on my card March 8, 2017. Everything was fine. I go to pay my light bill and gas bill. My card was decline. So I called the card. It say it's block and they will unblock it when I send in my photo ID. So now I am even more upset because in the middle of talking to them my lights get disconnected. IRS already sent the money. Held my refund from January 18 until March 7, 2017.

I upload the ID then they say I have to wait 2 business days so I check the status today. They say they can not see image. I speak to a manager name Stepfanie from dialing this number here 626-765-2000 which is the corporation number for Green Dot. She tell me if I upload now since we on the phone she will release the whole. So I do that. She said she see it and anything. I called back 3 hours later because my card still not unblock. They tell me that a picture never came in and I am like, "Are you serious?" Give them Stepfanie name and everything. They tell me to send it again and it could take up to 3-5 business days. I said, "What happen to 2 business days?"

This company is stealing refund checks, period, and what they are doing is wrong bad enough IRS is doing extra security this year. How you as a prepaid card doing this to people? I am getting me a lawyer and filing a claim because these people not helping you. They stealing and they are liars and rude. They don't care about you bills or anything else then to top it off the lady said this a large amount. So what? It came from the IRS, not a source that you guys not aware of. They going to lose a lot business and have a lot lawsuits.

Hi Bill,

Original review: March 9, 2017

I am native American in. They block my card. When I went to upload the documents it will not accept him. I've been trying to get ahold of anyone, no one is open. I am really upset. I suggest no one to purchase this card. They are precious on native American.

Hi Amber,

We'd like to have someone look into the technical issues you’re having with your Green Dot App. We'll be in touch with you through the phone number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number where we can reach you.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I'm locked out of my online account and every time I receive a temporary one time password to get in it says it's been used upon my entering it. This is nuts and I can not reach anyone about the issue. I can't even look at my account to see if someone has been using it. Soon my tax refund will be loaded and I'm worried it will be stolen.

Hi V,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 8, 2017

I have had a partial amount of my refund placed on a Green Dot Prepaid card for the last few years. Last year there was a very long delay and issue with getting the funds released on my account and the same for this year. Only last year I could speak with customer service, this year I cannot. I have filed several 'cases' with them via email and was told to initiate a 'chat' with them and chat is conveniently closed. The IRS says my numbers may be transposed in the system but the bank can use my SSN and place into the correct account or reject it to the IRS.

My refund was issued on 2/27/17 and I am yet to be able to use my funds. I call and all I get is the automated system telling me I have more than one card and the online system for the card I have had for years shows no new deposits. The 'cases' are being closed and I am told to call the IRS. I call them and the IRS advised they have not been rejected so Green Dot still has my funds. So where is my money?

Hi Paige,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the issue you had with your Green Dot card. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Original review: March 7, 2017

A PayPal transfer of $300 dollars in Peter **'s Green Dot account did not appear as being deposited in his transaction history. Last Sunday Peter and I spoke to Dale at Green Dot about it. Dale admitted Green Dot had made a mistake and put a credit of 50 dollars back on Peter's account and PROMISED that a technical person would be calling back Peter the following Monday to reimburse the remaining $275. No one called us on Monday. So Peter called Green Dot back. That person said someone would call us on Tuesday. No one called, again! So now we are on the phone right now getting stonewalled by yet another Green Dot representative. Meanwhile we have no money to eat or buy gas with, let alone pay bills. Green Dot is stealing from us while we go hungry, quite literally. Please God Help us.

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you shared. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Original review: March 7, 2017

When I try to log in on the Green Dot App it says my account is closed. I have tried calling customer service, but talking to a human is impossible. I thought this card would be a great alternative, now I am not so sure. I have money on a card that Green Dot closed the account for no apparent reason.

Hi Kevin,

Original review: March 7, 2017

I bought a Green Dot prepaid card on the 25 of February so I didn't have to use my bank card. I paid for a hotel room at the beach but when I got down there I decided to pay in cash so they refunded my money back to the card the same day. Here it is March the 7 and green dot won't release my money till the ninth of March. I will never buy another green dot prepaid card ever. They will take your money and there is nothing you can do about it. If you ever get a green dot prepaid card when you load it spend every thing quick. I had the worst experience with green dot prepaid card. It is best to get Netspend. You will be a lot happier.

Hi Joy,

Please accept our apologies for the delay in resolving your concerns. We’d like to have a customer specialist follow up with you to see how we can help. We will contact you through the number that was provided to us by Consumer Affairs. We will be in touch shortly!

Original review: March 7, 2017

On March 5, I had all of the money stolen from my account and I was left with no money. I reported the card stolen like I was supposed to then I tried several times to call customer service and I was given the runaround. I can't access any money that's deposited into my account until I receive the card. And then it's supposed to take up to 7 business days to receive the card. I was told the 15th. That's 9 days away!!! How am I supposed to take care of my kids with no money until then??? The customer service representatives don't care at all. They're useless. Absolutely useless and the chat option was closed for like the entire weekend including Monday. I got really upset because I couldn't talk to anyone and get some answers. So I'm broke until March 15th. Green Dot needs to fix their Customer service support area ASAP. Otherwise I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Wait times when calling customer service waaayy too long, so-called "customer service specialists" offer no real resolutions! I was transferring money to a friend and the code they sent her was not working. No matter how many times they tried, they told me I was the only one who could cancel it, which I was unable to because my transaction history has been unavailable! So basically they opened a "case" to get this matter taken care of. Meanwhile, I have 400 dollars in limbo. Never ever again, as soon I get my money back I am canceling my card.

Hi Nan,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the issues you are experience with your Green Dot card. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better phone number to reach you.

Original review: March 6, 2017

Why would anyone put themselves thru this much pain and suffering. I am seriously hearing impaired and due to cross country travels I got a Walmart debit card. BIG MISTAKE. Within 2 weeks of using it I had checked out of 2 hotels (I know because I travel all the time). The hotels did not put a hold on any money. Why would they (I went to the top with both reputable hotels and I know it wasn't them as what would they be afraid I was going to come back and steal ice)? I am old and have never ever had a hold put on anything after you check out so I have to go back to the saying.. "If it makes no sense then it probably is a lie" and everything they tell me when I call has been lies.

My biggest and worst problem is that since I am hearing impaired and rarely can understand female voices their only call center is in the Philippines and Walmart/Green Dot refuses to abide by ADA laws and help me by getting someone who speaks clear English on the phone. The worst part of it is the reps. get very upset when I try to tell them it is not personal but they need to spell phonetically. Only a few of them even know what that means. I feel very sorry for them as we all know the reason Walmart/Green Dot hires them. They work for literally nothing. When I called about the hotel holds on money I desperately needed they gave no reason just that it would not be available for 2 weeks.

When I began calling the store although they sounded sympathetic they basically flat out told me to get rid of it. IMO they are told to say that and then if you close the account you will never see your money. I explained I had set up direct deposit and after that was straightened out I would. Finally after being a squeaking wheel and speaking with several managers one told me the store manager (she would never get on the phone) told her to refund the hold money to me for all I had been through.

I drive a long way (this is where I bought the card) and walked in asked for Katrina who had told me that. About 15 minutes later she comes walking up looking nervous with a very smug looking lady who preceded to tell me she was the lost prevention manager. She took me aside and very aggressively told me I would not be getting the money back. I was very upset crying as my service dog is ill and I was also. I always tell people that I am hearing impaired as when my disease flares up I cannot tell how loud I am talking. I told her I would have to spend the night in my car as I did not have enough gas to get to my friends house who lived about 70 miles away. She said okay. I asked Katrina why she did not call me and tell me this goodwill gesture was off. She said the caller i.d. did not work after another person called in. No caller ID I ever had worked that way. Trying to make this shorter is hard as it goes on and on.

I think it is a game they play as the loss prevention person called the police on me. The bully lady is the one I will sue individually if needed and she told the police I was yelling. This too fall under ADA as I had told all of them I was hearing impaired. I was sitting in my car trying to make calls to do something as they surrounded my car and started bullying me telling me I did not know how businesses worked. I know I could be their mother or grandmother as they looked very young and I worked as a professional in a major corporation (nothing like WALMART) for 30 years. I am filing a complaint against them and there is no thinking about suing as they are now holding my direct deposit saying it is not there. I coming from STATE FARM and I do not love them but at least they do not lie.

So me and my service dog sat in the car all day hungry and ill hoping someday WALMART/GREEN DOT will decide to let me have my monthly stipend. Very traumatic and they will pay as in the state it happened in the small claims max is 15,000 and unless WALMART officials pays off the judges I cannot imagine they will not see the crime WALMART committed and this will continue unless people fight for their rights. A company should be able to make money honestly without holding people's hard earned money and collecting the interest. If Walmart brands it they have to take ownership for the criminal and unethical conduct being committed. Stand up for yourself.

Hi Jennifer,

Original review: March 6, 2017

I get paid every 2 weeks and my paycheck gets deposited on Wednesdays. Well I have not received my paycheck from March 1, 2017. I have called Green Dot Friday, Saturday and I will be calling today. I printed out my transaction history and deposit history and it shows nowhere where my paycheck was deposited. I am a single mother that needs her paycheck. All Green Dot can say is they see it in my account. My balance doesn't even show a deposit.

Hello Karla,

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: March 5, 2017

My tax money was sent to Green Dot Bank and was deposited in an account that didn't belong to me. They were supposed to deny the check but still took, I need to speak to someone that can send my check back to IRS.

Hello Shanta,

Original review: March 4, 2017

I had received my tax refund on Green Dot prepaid debit card on 2/23/2017 and I bought me a car and after I bought my car tried to get my kids something to eat. First time it declined. I then I tried it again and it declined and kept trying to use my card and it kept on declining it so I called customer service and they said they had blocked my card (for no reason) and I don't see why they can't unblock my card if I can tell them all of my information and I have not ever reported my card lost or stolen so why can't they unblock my card if I have not called and reported my card lost or stolen.

Hi Tyeresha,

Original review: March 4, 2017

I went to Titan Tax to file my tax return and they gave me a Green Dot card to have my refund deposited. My refund was hit my account on February 23rd. I misplaced my original card. Reported it lost and a second card was mail to me. Upon activating the NEW card I get a error message saying a "security hold" was placed on my account and I needed to "submit documents" (picture of ID) and in 48 hours I'd have the hold removed. 48 hours later I check my account and I get a second error message of telling me the documents are not legible and I would need to resubmit them and wait another 48 hours.

For almost a week I have not been able to hear my balance, use my card or speak with an actual human regarding the hold on my account. I've sent 5 different pictures of my ID and still no access to my money. Almost 2 weeks. I have children to feed and bills to pay. MY REFUND WAS SENT TO ME ALMOST 2 WEEKS AGO. I finally figure out how to get through customer service... WORST REPRESENTATIVES I've ever come encounter with. NO ONE can help ME. 4 hours on the call, 3 reps, 1 manager and all I got was "I'm sorry there's is nothing I can do to release the hold." PLEASE if anyone has any advice!! I'M DESPERATE here.

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us and allowing us to reach out to you. We are glad your concern was resolved.

Have a great day!

Original review: March 4, 2017

I loaded my card with (thankfully only) $50 today. I went to your site to make sure it loaded. IT HAD. Then I went to InnoGames to make a purchase. They declined, for the first time, because you were "holding funds until March 7th" - which happens to be when your monthly fee comes due. I ALREADY have your fee IN MY ACCOUNT. You are the ** ALTERNATIVE OUT THERE. I WANT A COMPLETE REFUND.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Profile