Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Outstanding customer service. Anytime we have questions or need information the Green Dot team have been accommodating. Our card was compromised and we received an unauthorized charge. Within days we had a full refund. Even though it was a small amount, we were pleased with the process.

Card is very easy to use and reload. I use it for vacation. That way no one has access to any of my other personal information or accounts. I load my card with my extra money I get from officiating high school sports and what's leftover from payday when I have overtime when I get it. Something I'd like to be considered would be when it's used you're notified when and where instantly. Just a thought.

I've had the best experience with my Green Dot card. It has afforded me all of the conveniences of having a traditional bank account. It's even better than banks because I can deposit money at the many convenient reload locations such as Rite Aid or Walmart during their business hours. My deposit is available for use within 15-30 minutes. I've used my card to book hotels, make online purchases, and everything else that I use my other visas for. With no overdraft fees to worry about, the monthly fee is nothing compared to what I've had to pay financial institutions in the past. I love my Green Dot card.

Overall I have been pleased with the service I receive from my Green Dot card. My only issue is knowing which atms won't charge a fee before I get there. Even some banks charge fees for using their ATM. I like my card for easy purchases online and in stores.

The Green Dot transaction, processing, convenience, and customer service are exceptional! This is a very high level product. I have recommended over and over to friends as an alternative to banking with their Credit Union and Banks. The only bad experience I've had is when I used the card at a Exxon in a neighborhood outside of area and was charged a pre-authorization fee of $91.00 for $11 worth of gas. The Gas station alleges it is not them who initiated the hold, but Green Dot. I contacted Green Dot and they said it is the Gas station.

I explained I even used my PIN for the transaction. The Gas station manager said he is willing to speak with Green Dot to prove it is not them who's holding my funds. I have an open case with Green Dot. It has been several days and the money has not been refunded to me. Hopefully I have a resolution that satisfy me. It's been frustrating. Almost $100 on hold for $11 worth of Gas! Other than that I still care and will patronize Green Dot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

I actually like having this card. It is very convenient. The cash back feature is a nice reward. I use this card for my direct deposit at work. I haven't had any problems with this card. I am able to use the atm to get cash and also use at the store with ease.

So far I have had good experience with Green Dot. I would recommend it to a friend. Easy to use and load at select stores. It's also easy on the website to track my spending. I have been using Green Dot for 4 or 5 years now. Great security and I trust the card completely. Thank you.

I rented a car from Enterprise. I loaded money on the Green Dot card. I returned the car, Enterprise released the hold from my MC and I paid with Green Dot. I reloaded the card, went to pay a bill and Green said I had -161 balance. It is taking an act of Congress to get my money back on my card. When I get the money back, I will never use Green Dot again. It's hard to understand the customer service reps. There was a language barrier.

I have been with Green Dot for over six years. I like them. They have always helped me, even when my card could have been intercepted. The downside is it is very hard to change anything on the card, alerts, and getting checks two days early like advertised.

Hi Atoia,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I've been trying to access my account online for a couple of months now to no avail. I've used the temporary password that was texted to me, but it says one time password used. I spoke with customer service, but am still locked out of my account.

I enjoy them. Easy to load and use. Great experience here!! Had no issues. Money was always there on time and was always able to access my money and account whenever I wanted to or needed. I would recommend them to everyone I know that could use them in daily life.

I am very happy with this card service. Makes things more convenient specially when doing online purchases or bill pay. The only change I would like to see is the ability to customize my card such as a different color or design. Thank you.

Hi Maria,

We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the phone number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. Please private message us if there is a better number to reach you.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Feb. 1, 2017

As a gift for my Mom, we bought a gift card for her on Mother's Day. She held on to the card and attempted to use it over the holidays only to find that the card number had been fraudulently stolen and used in California. We reported the card using their transaction dispute form a couple of days after as recommended. However, a month and a half later I still have not received any information about the form. Also, the customer service number only leads to a machine and no additional information is provided for this type of situation.

I receive only child support and tax refunds on my Green Dot only because I don't want to pay to add money to my card. I believe paying the monthly fee is enough. I won't add money to my green dot card until I don't have to pay to use my own money. Please remove this fee asap I would be a more happier customer.

I'm well pleased the service that you guys provide! Anywhere anytime smooth accessible balances. Just fabulous. What up Steve, he's a great spokesperson. The perfect man for the representation. The balance check is the best. Just too simple. I'm amazed at this card. I'll tell everyone to get a Green Dot. It's just best.

Really easy to use and never have had a problem and would recommend to anyone. Only thing I would like is a pink card option for the women. Or the option of personalized cards. Other than that love my Green Dot card. I will always give it five stars and great feedback.

I've never had an issue with my Green Dot, which I use frequently. I would only have one suggestion. It would be nice to be able to send and receive money from the mobile app. I use this feature to pay my hairdresser, babysitter, and many more. It would be great to be able to do it from anywhere, not just at home.

No hassles. Very satisfied. Can check available balance on the app. Transferred money to another card easily through email. I can even get to pay my bills with scheduled dates. I love my Green Dot card and will continue to use it as often as I can.

Have recommended the service to friends and now they're using the service too. They all say the service is easy to use and keep track of their expenses and the experience of customer service is excellent and very helpful and polite.

I have problems logging in online. If I don't remember my password or if I even have a computer to log in on. Which I don't have one all the time. So half the time I am lost without being able to check my account online. It is very frustrating. So what could I do.

I have no complaints about Greendot.com. They have a great customer service support. I've been using Greendot.com card for a long time and when there is a problem call greendot.com customer service and they will fix the problem. Thanks Greendot.com...

I love the service. I just wish it had more quirks. It costs a lot of money to withdraw. I have to pay a Green Dot fee plus a normal terminal fee. Shouldn't there be some kind of break? Then I never get cashback rewards on purchases. It should be more rewards for frequent cardholders.

I love the Green Dot card. It's very reliable and I get paid a day before my original pay day and the reload is awesome as well and the reload fee is a reasonable price. The reload amount time is very fast and very useful.

Hi Sarah,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer specialist look into this further. We will reach out to you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs. If there is another number to reach you through, please direct message it to us.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

So I got the Green Dot Cash Back Card for Christmas purposes. So then I thought why not use it for my income tax as well so I used the paper with my account number on it (or so I thought). You know that it comes in the mail with on my Tax return. Oh by the way I used Turbo Tax to do my taxes. So I did my return. Entered the numbers that I was suppose to enter. So I am looking at my account online when I notice that my Direct Deposit number is wrong online so I call Green Dot. Only for them to tell me that the number that the card came with is wrong. I should have went online first...

Then the dude would give them a supervisor and Suggested that I Call Turbo Tax and give the right number because and keep in touch with them because I used the wrong number... REALLY!!! They sent me the wrong number. So now I have to wait for a supervisor to call me back. So done with this company. I bet if STEVE Harvey knew what they were using his face for he would have never.

I've been a regular user of a Green Dot card for about 2 years. It's super easy to use. It's super easy to load with funds and it works just like any "regular" Mastercard. I use it for hotels, gas, and anything else I would use a credit card for. You should get one too.

Hi Jessica,

We are glad we were able to resolve your concern. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you!

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

While setting up direct deposit the web site given me a different account number than the app... When I called them about this they had no clue what to do and then transferred me to a machine that gave me the same account number as the app. They still can’t help me and this is my only income!!!

I like using my Green Dot card but I do not like paying that $5 service charge a month for the VIP membership. I have had this card for over a year now and not once have gotten a text message like I'm supposed to with my balance ever. I'm very unhappy about that. I always have to call to get my balance. I wish something could be done about it.

Probably one of the best Prepaid debit card out there right now to get that will help you get back on track, if traditional banks wasn't working out. Highly recommended. If you're looking for another banking system besides a traditional this would be a great option because Green Dot also have a option that allows you to see if you can qualify for a secured Credit card. Perfect way of building your credit back up and not dealing with crazy overdraft fees that Traditional banks would do to you. And you're never really going to get penalized like how traditional bank would if you were to spend over the amount asked. Because if you don't have that same amount in your Green Dot debit card they won't allow you to overdraft. Some banks say they got that overdraft protection but that's how they get you. At least in my experience. Try it out guys. It won't hurt.

Hi Levi,

We tried to contact you regarding your concerns but haven’t been able to reach you. It is important to us that we speak with you, so that we can work towards a resolve for your account. When you have a free moment, please contact us directly, so that we may assist you further.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I have a pending charge with a lot of money and it's going to take days before I get it back. That's my whole check and I need it asap. It's ridiculous how I can't even talk to a human to resolve this issue. Very pathetic.

Would like more ATMs to use for free but other than that... Very pleased!! Have my paycheck direct deposited every week but all ATMs charge their fee plus yours... It's horrible to pay sometimes. I recommend Green Dot to everyone! I also like the freedom of using it everywhere I go!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Profile