Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Since being a member of Green Dot I have yet to have any problems. The mobile app makes it so easy to keep track of what you have spent and review your balance. It is actually a lot more easier than dealing with a bank, plus for VIP it is a very responsible monthly fee.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Sept. 4, 2016

After having trouble getting a replacement card, I posted on Consumer Affairs within 2 days my replacement card was here. Thank you, Green Dot, for so quickly resolving the problem. Now I won't be late on my rent LOL. Very satisfied with this company!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Ernie, Thank you for reaching out and letting us help resolve your concerns. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

I've had my Green Dot card for 2 years with no problems. It expired this month, so I've called 3x to get a replacement. I will send a replacement what it was for Western Union. Every time I've called since then they say that they're going to send me a new card but again they keep sending me Western Union cards instead of a Green Dot card. This is happened all three times to have called since August 1st. So now my paycheck is just sitting in my account and I have no access to it. It is getting very frustrating.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hi Esther, We're glad to hear about your great experience with Green Dot. Thank you for being a loyal cardholder.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I just stumbled upon Consumer Affairs, reviewed few complaints re: Green Dot services whether it was for prepaid Debit or gift cards. I had opened an account which I maintained for many years. Also having another account with different company. I regret that a few personal situations distracted me, that I lost my Green Dot Account but have now registered and closing out my second account.

For all the years with Green Dot I never had a problem that couldn't be resolved minor only. All major problems such as looking at the status of charges, if I didn't recognize it, I would call G.Dot and they will stop payment to party requesting (pending payment). Too bad all banks won't do that. I also use PayPal for online purchases but sometimes companies don't accept PayPal payments. Green Dot representatives every time I told them that I didn't recognize or that I didn't make any transaction with whomever they stopped payment from going to anyone giving me the phone number associated with the payments in question... The second account well they just tell me I'd have to wait 5 days if payment call back to file dispute against the Company. Sorry but if my money is in your care, your pretty much responsible for it. If you say I only work here, I don't endorse the policies, then they need to give you a termination boost.

I respect the representatives that have helped me or had to deal with me if I was unhappy. Everybody has their own way in which they assist. This I saved for last. One morning while taking a shower my new roommate used my computer to purchase movies for her phone. I learned of this when I had to call GDot to cancel my card, then I was told that at 9:45 am a charge was made online for movies. I told the agent I went into shower 5 min before that as I looked at the clock to see how much time I had before friend arrives. The agent told me she will Refund my money. The rep didn't even know me yet she did what she felt was right. They (Green Dot reps.) would call me after any transaction, wait for my code text that tells them I did or didn't do that transaction. So after all the love why would I go elsewhere?

I've sincerely appreciated your services. Since 2009, I've been wary of 'normal' banks. So saying, I'm happy Green Dot is around. Suggestion for improvement: Make the webpage able to do login/password recovery, so the system doesn't lock out (If I get it wrong once, the system locks me out for 24 hours). Thank you!

I would love to have notifications on my phone that would let me know every time my account is used. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints. I really like the fact that there is contests that give me the opportunity to win some extra cash. Keep doing what you're doing!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

I like the service and the mobile app is good too. I would like to see the daily limit with ATM's increased just a little. Also, some companies do not recognize the card or account as a valid VISA account! Overall I would recommend it.

I have used Green Dot for many years and have never had a problem. Your rates are fair and customer service is incredible. I am completely satisfied with my experience and would not even consider going back to "local banking". I appreciate the tremendous service and hope to continue doing business with you for many more years.

Since I was a VIP member I would not be charge a ATM fee as long I use the one you selected. I was never charge until now. So disappointed. Hope this get corrected and please contact me. Thanks. Overall satisfied.

I have had great experiences with Green Dot, including their value, reliability and customer service. I have used them exclusively for several years as my banking system to avoid issues, and since I deposit more than their minimum, I avoid all of their fees.

Originally purchased this card because the college for the boys only accepted MC... I had a VISA. I have kept it even after the boys graduated. I have never had any major issues... Anything that has arisen, GREEN DOT has been great at getting it resolved. Now I would love for deposits to be easier outside of direct deposit... Like taking a picture of checks to be deposited into account.

My experience with the Green Dot card has been fairly good one. I've seen online where it's been called Green Dot Bank. Just wondering was there branches to come? I think it would be a great idea. I also you the app I wish you could do all the things you can do online on the app. A nice update to do those things would be nice.

I can say I have everything in a card I could want from Green Dot. No cleaning fee because I get direct deposit. No overdrafts because the card won't allow it and the one miracle time I did overdraft I had no fee. Awesome. Easy. Cool to check online.

I think this is a good card. One it doesn't take money if nothing is on the card. I like the direct deposit but the two days before is not correct. I never get my money that early ever. Maybe a day before but even that hasn't happened lately which was one of the main reasons I got the card. But I digress, it is still a great card.

Lost my card and it was replaced in a timely fashion. My payroll check is consistently available 1 to 2 days early. Have easy access to my balance and transaction history. Like how I can track how much is needed to avoid monthly fee.

Using this card has been a great option to banking at a traditional bank. I would like a new card. My card expires November. Thanks for the alternate banking source. It would be nice to have a customer service number to call too.

You were very helpful however you should fix the glitch. Also one individual did initially tell me there was nothing she could do and I had to go back to the retailer and they would take care of it. But in the end it was all straighten out.

Hi Loree,
We understand how important it is to replace a lost card quickly. I'm going to have someone from our team follow up with you directly to see what we can do.

Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I reported my lost card online last night. The Green Dot website boasts Rush delivery within 2 business days for an additional $14.95. I chose that option as I need access to my money as quickly as possible. After submitting request, a message pops up thanking me for my request, etc. I wasn't comfortable not having any type of confirmation number or email so today I called just to confirm and check the status. That is when I was told it would be 3 business days before receiving the card. Not 2, but 3. Which means the website is posting false information. I'm not the type to fuss over one whole day but when person can't access their money at all, every day really counts. Needless to say, not only am I broke for the next several days (b/c it is now the weekend) but also very disappointed with the Green Dot card.

Love the fact that there is no overdraft fees. Recently, I bought some stuff online hoping that the money on my Green Dot card would be enough for the payment but during checkout I realized it wasn't enough. The transaction was on hold until I had enough money on my card to pay for the goods and I wasn't penalized for that. Thank you so much Green Dot team.

I called and spoke to a rep about not having received my card. She told me to give it another week. I did and still nothing. Again, tried to contact and was kept on hold 25 mins. I finally got my card a week late.

Hi Crystal,
I'd like to have a member of our team call you to follow up.
Please message us to let us know when the best time would be to give you a call.

Thanks!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

At first I was excited about purchasing my Green Dot card. I even went so far as to load extra money onto the card so that my bills could be paid with this card and I also called to get my info and set up direct deposit with my job as I had planned on becoming a long time cardholder with Green Dot. Unfortunately I never received my official card in the mail which I was told would take 7 business days. I called and reported the card "Never Received" and was told I would receive another in yet another 7 business days!!! By this time my electricity bill was due and I was forced to set up payments arrangements because the last of my funds were put onto the card that is apparently in limbo. Sadly enough, another 7 business days went by and I still did not get another card in the mail.

I called 4 days ago and spoke with a supervisor who claims to have expedited my card and promised I'd receive it within 3 business days. Here it is the 4th business day and I call this morning to see what's going on and all they could say is we will expedite yet ANOTHER card! At this point I am livid!!! My electricity is going to be cut off on Monday 9/26/16 and I have two you children so that would be hell. I guess I just have to HOPE that I'll actually get my card before they disconnect me and I have to pay an workshop $35 reconnect fee (as though all of this was my fault). Not to mention I have never had any problem getting my mail at my address (which the Green Dot representatives verified 3 times over the phone). I am truly upset and unsatisfied with Green Dot at this time.

Only location within my zip code 43762 was a Walmart located in Cambridge on Southgate Pkwy that your site said would load money onto my greendot card with a check. Drove the 10 miles and they said they could NOT do it with a check. Was very disgusted with your site saying they do and Walmart for not doing it. Please correct.

I used this card all the time. Unfortunately, when I started using the card less often, the monthly fees went up from $4.95 to $7.95. I do not feel this is right. I should not be charged MORE for using the card less. I still kept a healthy balance on it, so why am I being charged these large fees? I have also been a long time customer (8 years) and still the fees are high. Also, when my paycheck is direct deposited to this card, it doesn't show up in my balance until the next day. My brick and mortar bank shows the deposit on a Thursday after 3PM EST. The deposit on the Green Dot card doesn't show up until Friday after 8AM EST. Money is money and it's all direct deposited, so why do I have to wait a day to use my Green Dot card? I would appreciate some answers. Thank you.

I have had excellent experience with Green Dot and have recommended and continue to recommend the wonderful services provided by Green Dot; with a favorite being easy transfer and quick turnaround for deposit.

Hi Brenda,
I'm going to have a member of our customer care team look into this for you right away. Please private message us and let us know when is the best time for us to reach you.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

The first card I did not receive so I had to order a new card. Let me tell you once you do that it cancels your temporary card. I paid an extra 15.00 to FedEx it 2-3 days. They cannot provide me tracking number. I called FedEx and they don't show my address. So now I cannot use my temporary card and now do not have the second card. With no help except them saying "I'm sorry we might have to send you a new card."

My experience with Green Dot has been pleasant. I've not had any problems using the card anywhere. I find most of the the features useful. My direct deposit usually goes in early.

Easy direct deposit into the card for use. Low to no fees based on amount to be direct deposited. The downfall is the lack of ATM with little to no fees to withdraw money. However, this is of little need for myself to use this feature. I use the card as a back up for emergency and food each paycheck and have partial deposit to be sure I have this money set aside each month.

Overall I have been happy with my Green Dot account. If I could change one thing I would make it free to add cash to my card. Other than that, I have never had a problem. My money is there when it's supposed to be and the text message updates allows me to keep track more easily!

Hi Meisha,
I can have our team take a look at the hold on your account. They can also look into your direct deposit timeline. In general, the time and day you receive direct deposits depend on when your employer or benefits provider sends the payment notice. You might want to check with your employer or benefits provider for details about when you can expect to receive your direct deposit. To check your direct deposit status, you can log in to www.Greendot.com. If it's been received, it will show in your transaction history.
I'll have our team reach out to discuss the hold on your card.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

I am so frustrated with this card. I've had nothing but problems since getting it. This is ultimately the last straw. From the beginning when I first got the card and loaded it, I was only able to use it as a credit card and could not withdraw funds. Next I used it at a gas station and didn't realize they were going to hold $75 and I was flying out of town and needed the money and the customer svc rep could care less. So I've limited my use of the card. I recently had to use it to have my government benefits deposited. I was told it should be available on 9/21/16, even though it was processed the prior week. I did not receive the money. I called cust svc several times and was told something different each time. Ranging from I would receive it up until midnight that same day to it could take several pay periods which it is not a payroll check.

I was then told to just keep checking and once I seen the balance reflect the deposit it would have been deposited. No crap. I asked how to set up the notification for this and the rep was of no help and I still have no clue. I have bills due and no money. I've never had a problem with the VA deposits ever with any other institution. I hate this card. I want my money now. The VA even advised me against using the card because of the feedback they've received but no your reps boast how well this card works. I also misplaced my card and asked about another. I was told to have it expedited it would cost $15. I was told I could still do it without having the funds and it would be a negative balance and then I was transferred to a supervisor who told me I couldn't do that.

When I told her not to process it and I'd just wait for the deposit to post and do it she then said she could waive the fee this one time. The only positive thing this company has ever done. When I asked her about my direct deposit she said she'd have to transfer me to cust svc because she doesn't know. I am a customer svc supervisor and this is the worst ever. It's a scam I believe and I plan to talk everyone not to use it. I am transferring my direct deposit back to my bank. This card is a fraud and worthless. I want my money now!

I am very satisfied with the response I get from Green Dot. I have two cards that I use. It is so easy to reload them. I thought I would have to purchase another card when my card expired. But I was surprised to get another card in the mail. Thank you so much for providing this service to people that are unable to get a regular credit card because of their credit scores. Hopefully this is a way they can build it up. Keep on providing this service. I will be using it for a long time.

Hi Kimberly,

I can have someone from our customer care team reach out about the hold. Please private message us with the best time to call you.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2016

Aug 15, 2016 I returned my U-Haul truck and was told it would take 3-5 business days for my money to be returned to my card. Well, 1 month later, numerous calls to both U-Haul and Green Dot, 3 statement of release forms from U-Haul sent to Green Dot by email and I still don't have my money! This has been a nightmare! I called 9/18/16 and asked for a supervisor to be told there were none available but will have one call me back in 1 hr but the call didn't come through 'til 9/19/16 at 4:30.

On that call she assured me my money was returned and is available and it even showed on my balance. At 6pm when I got off work I went to the store to use it and guess what, the transaction denied. HOW EMBARRASSING!!! I called back to be advised the transaction is still pending and the money may take up to Oct 15, 2016 to be returned to my acct! This has been the worst experience with Green Dot and my first prepaid card ever! I HATE this company and will never use again once I get my $84.16 returned to my acct! Green Dot need to get this together.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Profile