3.25/5
Based on 1,194 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Gallery (3)
View More View More

4576 Green Dot Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have had 0 problems with this company and card since I have had it. Have made many purchases with it, rented cars, booked hotel rooms etc. And since I have had it I have maintained my credit limit and made payments on time. The first problem started in May 2018. I made 2 deposits to my card to bring my balance owed to 0. Then tried to use it to make my car payment as I always do. It was declined. Couldn't be right so I tried it again, declined again. Called Green Dot and had gotten one of their "wonderful" customer service reps who stated that no deposits were made to my account and they were not showing any pending deposits. I was then forced to fax over my receipts from the location I used to load my card. After 2 days, and a late car payment, I finally had the funds applied to my account. Should have been a warning there. But I didn't pay it any attention.

Fast forward to today. I made 3 deposits to my card to bring my balance to 0. Being Father's Day weekend I had a heck of a time trying to find a vehicle to rent to attend a funeral in a different state. After calling all over my area for a rental, I finally found one 2 1/2 hours away. I made the reservation and was on my way. After arriving at the location I went through the normal check out issues. Not my first time renting a car with this card. BAM declined. Surely this must be some mistake right? I called the card to verify funds. They were there. Asked the not so patient lady at the desk to please run it again. Declined again. Needless to say after a 2 1/2 hour drive to get this vehicle I was a bit beside myself.

So again I go to the phone and had gotten yet another "wonderful" customer service rep. Who "ever so nicely" explained to me that car rentals were no longer allowed on the platinum card. Um excuse me? What? Were my 1st 2 replies. So after being told there was nothing and I mean NOTHING she could do even after explaining my situation to her, I then had to turn around and thank the pleasant lady at the car rental place and head back home. So I had finally arrived back home. 5 hours driving wasted. And the worse part of all of it? I miss my grandfather's funeral. Thank you so much Green Dot for being there when I need to make a payment, but not being there when I need you to authorize a transaction I have done many times.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I bought a Green Dot card May 15, 2018 and it asked for an ID. I submitted it and it denied it! Why?! I don't know!! But I got an email to submit a refund request and send in proof of purchase, the card and ID. I did all that and STILL a month later have not received my money!!! It was $300 that I need for bills like NOW!!! Where the hell is my money?! I can't call and talk to someone live and when I did the man so unprofessional it's ridiculous!! He told me I sounded SEXY. Who the hell does that?! WHERE IS MY MONEY!!??

Original review: June 14, 2018

I got a card with Green Dot loaded money on there and they blocked my card. They said I need to upload my license so I did this. 150 times the system keep saying can't read it. I've called Green Dot several times. You cannot speak with a live person. I wouldn't recommend this card to anyone. You will lose your money!

Original review: June 13, 2018

I bought a prepaid Green Dot card at a dollar general store yesterday. I cannot activate or register the card. I can't reach a human and the automated line is telling me that the card doesn't exist. I am beyond furious! 75 dollars... GONE.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Very high cost associate with card. Just to activated it will cost you nearly $10. Received this card is a gift by mistake. Trying to rectify the situation. Took me nearly 2 weeks. Finally I was able to find a number to call 1-866-291-0818. The phone number on the back of the card is useless waste of time. After going through the automated system for several minutes. I finally able to talk to a live person. Very sad to see this company is allowed to charge such high fees. This company is a fine example of why people hate BANKS. It’s legalized theft by the Banking industry. Targeting the most needed among us. Sad to see.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: June 12, 2018

Bought this card for my teenager to use while traveling with a school group. They blocked the card before we ever tried to use it. Can't get hold of a live person through any method and document upload isn't working. It says my documents were illegible, but I wasn't even given the option to upload. My son is without money while 1,000 miles from home. Completely unacceptable and horrible service.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I never received credit for my winning promotions. They have no idea how much and where my credits are for the tax time promo... also I deposited over 3000 monthly and they allowed Fraud also and wouldn’t remove it.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Dear Walmart, I would like to take this opportunity to say Thank You for being such an upstanding company! (Insert mountains of sarcasm here) Let me explain: so my mom buys my 16 year old daughter a gift card for her birthday. Daughter receives Walmart Visa gift in the mail on April 1st. Activates the card on Walmart’s gift card website sometime during the weekend of May 12 & 13th. Goes to use said Walmart Visa gift card and it declines. Mind you she literally had just activated about 10 minutes before she tried using it. The gift card was purchased for $50. I look on the website and there is now $1.00 left on the card. I look at the transaction history to find out that $49.00 was spent on 9 April to pay an electricity bill in Southern Ca. We do not live in Southern Ca. We don’t even live on the west coast. We don’t know anyone on Southern CA.

I filed a dispute with Green Dot the company that handles the Walmart gift cards. My dispute was denied because the card was used prior to being activated. How does a card get used prior to it being activated? Literally $49 of her $50 gift card was stolen! Makes you wonder what other breach they may have, but then it could be their employees stealing since Green Dot is in Southern California. And Walmart and Green Dot being such customer friendly companies denied my claim. They clearly don’t care about their customers or about retaining them. My mom is now out $50 and my child basically got $1 for her birthday. Green Dot was nice enough to send the below check for the balance that was left on the card! DO NOT BUY WALMART GIFT CARDS! DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY FILLING THEIR CORPORATE POCKETS!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Said "suspicious activity", asked for my ID, sent my state driver's license, then turn around and say they couldn't verify my (better tell the State of California their driver's license aren't good enough for Green Dot!). When I tried to reach a real person, their phone system kept saying my card was canceled, account closed and then it hung up. I started blasting them on Twitter, finally got a call only to be told that I wasn't getting my money back!! I called BS, asked WHY they didn't accept my driver's license as ID (I even sent my power bill!). All the woman said, was nothing wise could be done. I says, "Fine, just send me my money." SHE SAID NO! Again I called BS. She says they would be sending the money to my states "unclaimed asset". Said there was nothing I could do. These people are horrible THIEVES.

Original review: June 10, 2018

This company is a total scam. My mom bought us 2 Green Dot Cards for birthdays, etc. thinking they were just gift cards because they act like they are. Then trying to get a refund for them was ridiculous! You call the # on the back of the card and it sends you in circles. They try to get your SSN#- why? And then you either get sent back to the number that sends you in automated circles or they take all your information and say you're going to get a call or email (which you don't). They won't let you speak to a manager or tell you the name of the CEO of the company - the guy told me he didn't even know who the CEO was. The whole business is shady - please help shut them down!

Original review: June 9, 2018

Worse card when it comes to customer and identity protection. Your money is not safe. The alerts and notifications are pointless. I have noticed a transaction I did not authorize on my card for 700.00 immediately I called them and they said there is nothing they can do once the transaction has been initiated. That transaction wiped me out of everything I had money wise and I cannot get to work. After being up all night waiting to speak to a supervisor who said that they would call me back and didn't, once I finally spoke to one she told me that I would have to wait until the transaction is posted because it says pending (yet the money is already taken out) to be able to then initiate a claim.

The incident happened on 6.9.18 and I may have to wait until July 14th to maybe, possibly get my money back. YOUR MONEY IS NOT SAFE!!! The only thing they can do is tell you to wait 1 month while you are in dire need of your hard earned money that was stolen from you. Use them at your own risk. I am beyond irritated and I will make sure if I suffer from this that the world knows what they are doing and what kind of scam is ran by Green Dot.

Original review: June 9, 2018

My check was $540. I paid my car payment which left me $307. I transferred my money to my husband card due to me misplacing my card. Green Dot customer service is now holding my 307 as hostage saying I did not make my car payment but I called auto finance. They did receive their payment. I have been with Green Dot for 4 years. I am so done. If they take your money as hostage I don't want no parts of them anymore. NetSpend here I come.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I know factually that ADP deposited funds into my account yesterday. I have used this card several times for my direct deposit and until now it works fine. But now I cannot get any kind of answer from anyone at Green Dot after several calls with 15+ minute waits. They just tell me to keep monitoring my balance so I will know when it hits. My question is simply, "Have you received notification of an incoming direct deposit or not?" They don’t know and can only tell me anything after it posts to my account. Well I won’t have any questions after I get my paycheck. Incidentally I opted to use this card because I was supposed to get paid 2 days early. Now I’m at least a day late with no end in sight.

Original review: June 8, 2018

In or around May 28 2018 I lost my wallet with debit cards and other personal documents. I receive a notification in my phone that my card is been in use for somebody unauthorized more than $900.00. I immediate call customer support and report the card lost and I initiated an investigation dispute. Today’s date June 8 2018 I call customer service to check the status of the dispute and they told me that the dispute has been denied and they can’t give me any reasons that I suppose to get a notice on the mail stating that the dispute is been denied is the only letter I will receive...

I feel that this bank is not been investigating that dispute and that this bank just denied the dispute on his own without any investigations, when I first call the bank they told that the person who found or have the card in the position attempted numerous times to access the card with wrong PIN numbers. Why this bank do not block the card immediately to prevent it and contact me to confirm. This bank are not complying with the federal regulations neither with the regulations.

I would like to get immediately any videos of the locations where the money was used and all support documents that proof that they make this investigation the right way. I do not have that card in my possession and I do not authorized this transactions so is impossible that this bank did the right investigation. Please advise any other consumers of this issue...I already advise the Federal Reserve, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, my lawyer and in the process to have an interview with the radio and “Telemundo Responde” Telemundo 52 televisión news.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I used Green Dot's mobile deposit a couple weeks ago. It took 8 days to process and be available in my account. When asking the representative why it takes so long he told me because it was my first mobile deposit so it takes longer. I then deposited another check and it's once again taking a week to process! Don't use the mobile deposit if you need your money fast 'cause you won't get it for a week!

Original review: June 8, 2018

So I have been using this Green Dot VIP card for about 6 months now and it is TERRIBLE. It will load my money and I can swipe it at a register, but other than that it DOESN'T WORK ANYWHERE ONLINE!!! I have to use Uber sometimes to get to or from work. It doesn't work with Uber. I try to buy something online. It says my card is and invalid payment option online. I try to transfer money to my friend's account. It doesn't even have an option for that. Other than the direct deposit from my work (which the company says will deposit a day earlier than the paper checks, that's a lie), this is basically a fake debit card that only works at the most low-tech of stores. ** this card, and ** this ** shady ** company.

Original review: June 7, 2018

This company does not care about me as a customer. I reached out to Green Dot, regarding unauthorized transactions on my account, and they were absolutely no help to me even when I advised them I was robbed and held at gunpoint.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I had got the TurboTax prepaid card issued by Green Dot this year for my tax return. After weeks of dealing with the IRS finally I received my much needed income tax return on April 3rd 2018. Within 48 hours of receiving my income tax return my card was hacked and I had roughly $3000 stolen from me. So I contacted my local police department filed a complaint and followed proper procedure to file a dispute for the transactions I did not do with Green Dot. I did this immediately. Here it is June 7 2018 and I sent out my first dispute form back in April and just sent another dispute form about 3 weeks ago since I haven't heard anything from Green Dot.

I will never use this company again, apparently it's okay to not respond to their customers in a timely manner or just completely ignore them and apparently they do not care when their customers have money that is supposed to be safe on the cards stolen. Why have a card when in the case of something terrible happening you can't even get your money back? I have had a few people tell me that they too had money stolen from them that was on their Green Dot cards to fraudulent activity or their card being stolen or also being hacked and Green Dot denied them their money back. It was confirmed by the police that the transactions I am disputing is not me. But unfortunately they can't identify the person who did it at this time.

So if you want your money that you work hard for stolen then not replaced go ahead and use Green Dot. If you want your money in safe keeping then I suggest to use another company like MyVanilla, I also have a MyVanilla Card and at the same time that card got hacked too and they investigated and reissued my money back within 10 days of me filing the dispute. But not Green Dot. It's been 2 months now and I am still out of roughly $3000. Green Dot should be shut down with how they treat their customers and how they too steal money from their customers.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I was hospitalized and when I was released I noticed my home had been broken into and all my personal info and things were stolen. My whole tax refund was spent from my card. Called and filed a claim and got denied. Then I filed again. No. Still no respond. I have a newborn baby and cancer. I’m not able to provide for my kids nor pay my rent or buy my medication because I don’t have the proper funds. I have my lawyer looking into this matter to see what legal actions to take against this scam business. I need my money refunded as soon as possible. It’s never been this hard. Green Dot is the worst and I will not recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I live in Canada and my family lives in the States. My mother sent me one of the prepaid cards from Green Dot as a way to send me some money as a gift. I activated the card and tried to purchase some items online and was declined. I called the company and could not get an actual human on the other end of the line, but did find out through the robot (who I assume does all their customer service) that it was declined because I had to use this card in person.

Upon further research, I found out that these cards hardly work outside the US and are locked and declined when people try to use them abroad. This is confusing because on the back of the card, it says there's a 3% foreign transaction fee, yet in super small fine print it says valid for use in the US. For clarification, I went to their website and it said these cards could be used wherever Visa or Mastercard are accepted "worldwide".

I emailed their customer service (again, because for some reason they won't let you talk to anyone) and they first told me these cards are not gift cards and that they were intended for long-term use. Well that's fine and dandy for what Green Dot was hoping for from their customers, but I (a real-life customer) intended to use this card once. End of story. That shouldn't have even been raised in the email. Unprofessional. They rounded off the email telling me that these cards could be used wherever Visa or Mastercard are accepted in the "US". Which is it, Green Dot? Worldwide? US? Timbuktu? Neverland?

Between snide remarks in their unprofessional email, they even tried selling their reloadable prepaid cards to me. NO. THANKS. I'm also EXTREMELY frustrated that you cannot contact an actual person by phone. There is no way to contact a customer service rep through their phone service. What kind of company doesn't provide this as a customer service? It all seems too much like a scam.

It seems hard for me to believe after reading the reviews of this card written by so many others and my own experience that they haven't been accused of any wrongdoing. They are blatantly misleading consumers like my mother into purchasing something that they believe will be a quick and easy way to transfer money, but instead they receive quite the opposite. I usually don't write reviews, but I was so shocked by this company's behavior that I felt compelled to do so.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Green Dot Bank blocked my card on May 2018. I've called this company several times. They keep giving me the runaround regarding the block on my card. I'm not able to pay my daily expense's because my money is this card. Now they had the nerve to tell me that they're going to turn my money over to the state. How in the hell! I'm going to report this company to CFPB and FDIC since they claim they're a bank and my funds are cover under FDIC. Do not get this prepaid card!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Worst customer service. Writing this while I've been on hold for 30 mins, with no update regarding how long it will take. The reoccurring issue I have is that they keep declining purchases without letting me know why. And then I have to call in, and then they have you on hold for longer than 30 minutes. It's insane and infuriating. The only reason I have the ** card is to send money to family members and they make this process extremely painful.

Original review: June 6, 2018

This card is the worst thing I have ever used. I just got scammed out of 1000$. I bought 2 of these card and wanted to use them to buy something online. I tried to register the cards but it would not let me. It said this card cannot be verified. Please try again later. I called the company. It was a computer taking. I entered my card number and it said I have the money inside but I can’t use this card to buy anything. I would not recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Avoid this card at all cost. Fees for everything. Horrible customer service. 35 to 60 minutes hold time if you call. They charge you monthly, charge you to add money, the place you add money charges you. They charge you if you do anything. Their app is useless if you are trying to get a refund on a payment sent in error. They do not care about you.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have already have Visa Green Dot card and I bought a $300 MoneyPak card for My husband. 6/1/18 he tried to use it and he couldn't so I tried to put it back on my Visa Green Dot. Well it said failed due to Suspicious Activities. Well I called green dot. They said I can go for refund so I tried. They said it will take 3 weeks for my check come in mail. Yesterday 6/3/18 I got a $50 card to load to my visa to use and it failed due to Suspicious Activity. I called and got hung up on 3 times 4 time. One person that was suppose to be in charge gave me a fake reading on my card saying I had 275 dollars on my visa and I knew that wasn't right. I had 7.98 neg so from 300$ that's not right. Phone hung up on me. I called again. It said neg 7.98 on it. They lied. And I hung on the phone. For 1 hour no one helped me. I reported them as a scam. I can't even request refund for my $50 so I am screwed out of $350 plus fees!

Original review: June 4, 2018

I am writing this complaint because I feel very dissatisfied and not supported by the corporation that handles my funds. I attempted to take out $400 from an ATM machine about a month ago. The money never came out of the ATM machine, but was subtracted from my Green Dot account. I contacted Green Dot immediately that evening, and then again after it posted because I was told it needed to post first. I filed a dispute and now a month later, I still have not received my money back. The cardholder agreement states that after 10 days, if they need more time, they will provide a credit to your card so that you will "have the value during the time it takes to complete the investigation". It has been over 10 days, about a month since the incident, and I have not received anything. I have bills and a life to pay for and take care of, and having an amount like $400 taken from my account when I never got the money is just unacceptable.

To make matters worse, if Green Dot does not give back the money after 10 days then their card holder agreement should not state this. If there are footnotes or incidents which make that statement different than my lawyer says the cardholder agreement should be changed. I have never written a complaint in my life, but this is my money, my life, my bills and it's $400, which is a lot of money. I do understand that everyone has lines they need to follow, but if I am wrong then take the money back. This is absurd to have $400 of my own money held from me due to an ATM machine error. I mean they could ask for the camera from the store or fight harder for their customers. I mean even the tone when I talk to them is truly upsetting, for again, this is a lot of money. I plan to continue to write reviews, make phone calls and have my lawyer address what he can on his end until this situation is rectified.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I called customer service and spoke to someone about a hold that was placed on my card for hotel stay. The rep told me I had to call the hotel so they could release the funds. So after calling the hotel and being informed they released the funds the morning I left. I called Green Dot back and after a 45 minute wait the customer service agent hung up on me, when I called back and finally got through after 30 minutes the rep was rude and uninformed.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on a 15 min hold once again only to be told he is still searching for one... After another 20 minutes he came back on to say that he is unable to find one and that once one was available I would be contacted with a phone call. The rep was rude and condescending. His name was Mark. ID #**. No one ever contacted me and my money still is not available. I've called back and at this point have been on hold another 40 minutes so far. This is the worst customer service I have even dealt with and can only give bad reviews.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Green Dot is a joke, I have had this card for a while now and it states if you deposit over $1000 there is no monthly fee. Well that's not the case. They charge me every month, and will not reimburse me. Says they can't, charge for atm, I get charged their fee and the atm fee. It's B.S. Will close this account and will not open another one.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Well I was booking a flight to Vegas and a alert popped up in my email. They ask me to send in a photo of my license in which I did. The site stated it received it and now Green Dot saying they couldn't read it clearly. Which I know it was clear as possible. So now my money is stuck in their account which it was put on this call list. So basically I feel they going to take my money. It keep say the card is closed. But I need my money.

Original review: June 3, 2018

About 2 weeks ago I upgraded to a VIP card... The card split in half a little more than halfway already to the point where you can see how the 2 cards were “sealed” into one card. The first day I used it the clear film on the front started peeling off. It's very flimsy compared to the basic card I have been using since 2013. That's some top of the line V.I.P status. Then the support specialist told me in order to get a new card means I have to take all the money off of this one and wait 10 days at max to receive my new card. TF. I don't have time to go ATM to ATM to withdraw money when I already said I have my old card which doesn’t expire until 2019 so I can use that instead. But to make all that bs more appealing... They said the new VIP card would be free of charge. Lol smfh. How about make the VIP card more sturdy instead of sticking them together with a melted crayon.

Green Dot expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.

• Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.

• Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.

• Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.

• Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.

• Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.

• Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg