Green Dot Prepaid Cards

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

Pros

• No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals

Cons

• $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Bottom Line

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Top Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Verified

Green Dot is the greatest thing ever. It’s much easier to bank with and I get no late fees, hidden fees or phone calls. The alert message telling me how much is in my account is a...

Verified

I like not dealing with the bank. I was getting my paychecks put on the Green Dot card and it's easy to use. Also, I have the app where I can check my balance. A lot of times when...

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is Green Dot?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are reloadable debit cards that serve as an alternative to traditional bank accounts and let you load your paychecks directly onto the card for free. The company provides an easy-to-use mobile app and flat-rate monthly fees, and the card is accepted anywhere in the U.S. that accepts Visa.

Prepaid cards are easier to get approved for than some other types of banking solutions, which makes them a good option for those with bad or no credit.

Other people who like the flexibility and control of prepaid cards include:

• People traveling across the country
  • Parents giving kids an allowance
  • People who want to manage their spending
  • People who don’t like traditional banks

How do Green Dot cards work?

You can easily set up a Green Dot prepaid card to receive direct deposits from paychecks, government deposits or tax returns for free. You can also use the mobile app to deposit checks online.

Once you’ve put funds onto the card, it can be used like any other debit card. It can be used anywhere that accepts Visa, so it's accepted at many locations around the world. Many retailers, including Kroger and 7-Eleven, allow for free cash withdrawals when you check out.

How much are Green Dot cards?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards has a $7.95 monthly charge for users who deposit less than $1,000 on the card each month. There is no monthly fee for those who deposit more than $1,000 per month. It costs $3 to withdraw money from ATMs and around $6 to reload cash onto the card.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards also offer:

• Free direct deposit
  • Free ACH transfers
  • Free mobile check deposit
  • Free mobile app
  • Free withdrawals from select stores

Green Dot FAQ

How do I access my Green Dot account?
You can either use the company’s online website or mobile app to access your account.
What prepaid cards work with Green Dot?
Green Dot offers prepaid Visa cards.
What bank is associated with Green Dot?
Green Dot partners with Bonneville Bank and the U.S. Treasury.
Is Green Dot a real bank?
The Green Dot Corp. is an American financial technology and bank holding company.
How do I activate my Green Dot prepaid Visa card?
You can activate your Green Dot card on the company’s website.
Do Green Dot cards have a chip?
Yes, Green Dot cards have a chip for added protection.

Is Green Dot safe?

Green Dot prepaid cards are a good solution for customers who want more control over their spending without the hassle of using a traditional bank. Because the cards don’t help build credit, Green Dot Prepaid Cards aren’t the best long-term solution for building a better financial history. However, the reasonable monthly fees and free deposits, transfers and retailer withdrawals make the cards an affordable and straightforward solution that can be attractive to many.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: April 25, 2022

I have been using the Greendot prepaid card for more than a year now, and I have noticed something alarming. Greendot is scamming their customers. They must think people are stupid and can't do simple math. I know how much I had in my account, and all of a sudden I am negative. Since when does a prepaid (non-bank) card have any overdrafts allowed??? Every time I would try using my card before not knowing if I had enough to cover the cost, it would decline if I didn't have enough funds available for the transaction. Also, I still remember Greendot trying to take the monthly fee twice in one month from me before.

They have also taken the monthly fee before they were supposed to, and if I didn't have it yet it would be negative. I DON NOT any longer trust Greendot. They told me this on my end and there nothing wrong with my transaction history, claiming I owe and I don't. GOODBYE GREENDOT!!! You just lost another customer, because you are untrusting.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I am a victim of Debit Card fraud, some thief stole $1,300 from my Greendot checking acct I had for close to 7yrs. They stole $900 one day and $400 while I was on the phone with the customer service rep which of course is in India somewhere they can barely understand me. I filed the police report, GD denied my claim 3xs. How they stole the money from the ATM without my card or pin # is beyond me. The police stated that the bank should honor my claim...But NOOO not GREENDOT!! They had the nerve to tell me I authorized these, fraudulent withdrawals, you can clearly see where the suspect did Balance inquiries prior to draining my account. I have an app on my phone. I DON'T NEED TO PAY .50 TO INQUIRE!! I'm so annoyed as to why or how GD can blatantly refuse to give me my money back after all these years of loyalty!!! Do not trust your money with this company....They don't care about you!

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2022

They gave me a 200.00 overdraft protection but demanded it be paid the next day. But I don't get paid until the 19th. By direct deposit. So it's coming but they don't care. They want right away. Unfair.

Original review: March 23, 2022

Walmart VISA Gift Cards issued by Green Dot Corporation were frozen with hundreds of dollars on 3 cards ($700 total). I gave 3 cards to 3 people. Each informed me their gift card was declined--one card declined at restaurant, another declined at store, 3rd card declined by Amazon. My experience with Green Dot--9 phone calls, 172 minutes on the phone, uploaded and emailed my driver's license 3 times, 5 business days, repeatedly put on hold, repeatedly disconnected calls, repeatedly told to call back after a few more business days, one week of this with no resolution. I finally had to get my credit card company, American Express, involved. My review of Green Dot--they will limit access to your money while providing little or no help to resolve the issue. A Green Dot Corporate Resolutions Manager told me that when they limit access to your money on their VISA GIFT Cards, depending upon your state it can take 2 to 3 years to get your money.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2022

My return was put on a Green Dot card. I was not able to make a significant purchase. I wasn't allowed to withdraw enough money from a ATM nor was I allowed to get enough money out to buy a car which I needed. It would only let me Nickel my money away.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

They restricted my card for no reason. Couldn't use it at Walmart or any local stores. They closed my account and register to send back the money left in the account. Everyone on this site should do a class action lawsuit

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I bought the card, it didn't work, called them, and decided not to proceed. Representative rude and got no results. They continue to charge me and called them on numerous occasions because the card was NOT IN USE. On 1/11/2022 I was told nothing was owed. I asked for a letter or email saying it was satisfied and I owed nothing. Recme said they couldn't send me a letter. Got an email on 1/26/2022 showing balance owed and had to call them back. Who has time to continue to call this company and deal with multiple issues. Not me!!! THEY DON'T DESERVE A 1-STAR. NEXT STOP, ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

I loaded $20 on the card. I have made several request to close account and months later they are still charging me fees. Green Dot has a disclaimer that says "simply spend the funds to a $0 balance" and "we will automatically close the account shortly thereafter due to zero balance and no activity." THEY ARE STILL CHARGING monthly fee. I called and spoke with a rep (go figure.... I haven't been able to reach a live person in months) at the request of the rep I mailed a letter to request to close the account back in August 2021 and as of Jan 2022 they now say I owe over $100 in fees for a card that was never used. What the heck happened to close the account when it reached $0?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

They waited until my VA disability was loaded on my card and then closed my account. They will not answer the phone for me. They will not respond to me online. From everything I've read I'm not getting my money back.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I have had a Green Dot card for years, I have been a loyal customer. I have had a few issues over the years and sometimes it takes an act of congress to get anything resolved. Just recently I had a purchase from a very well known online retailer, my card got charged twice and I first called the retailer and talked with them and was told that the first charge was a hold but the funds were released by them so the card company could return the funds, the amount was $378.00. They said that they had an authorization number that if I gave it to Green Dot that they could check on it.

So I called The number on the back of my card and got a customer service representative, they told me that the company hadn’t released the funds and that I would have to wait 11 days in order to get the money back on my card. I told them that I had talked to the retailer and they explained that they approved the release, the Green Dot Representative told me that the company wasn’t telling me the truth. The next day I called the retailer again and once again they told me that they had in fact released the hold and that I could call Green Dot and once again tell them they had the authorization. So once again I call Green Dot customer service and speak with a representative, once agonizing they tell me that the retailer told me a lie and that now I couldn’t get my money back until the 24th, now I got tea upset because how could the date change in one day!

I asked to speak with a supervisor and was transferred to another customer service representative not a manager, then I got the runaround from that representative, before they finally transferred me to a supervisor. After talking with the supervisor and explaining everything to him he told me that there was nothing whatsoever he could do and when I asked for his supervisor I was told that nobody could do anything to help me! Needless to say I’m totally disgusted with how I was treated and I’m planning on finding a new card company. Do not!! I repeat DO NOT!!! Use this company for anything, they will steal your money.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Information