3.15/5
Based on 1,584 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Gallery (3)
ABBB Rating
View More View More

6738 Green Dot Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: July 18, 2019

I like this card n app. EXCEPT FOR the limit on daily withdrawals from ATM. I get my payroll check to this card. The other day I tried taking out 1400 from an ATM and it wouldn't let me. It even locked my card from use on any ATM. Very inconvenient and this made a huge problem for me because I get off late from work and had to pay my rent. This issue made me late on my rent from not being able to withdrawal. And I had to pay a late fee of $195.00. I was very upset about this and I was reading online that this app will not give you a higher ATM withdrawal limit. I want to know why. If it's money why are you making it so hard to get my money out for any use. 500 limit is not enough.

Hello Elizabeth,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you. However, we left you a voicemail that contained our direct contact information. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so that we may assist you with resolving your concerns.

Green Dot Corporation

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I noticed that I hit my max cashback rewards of $100.00 after about 3 to 4 months. It would be more convenient to not have to wait a full 12 months to get my rewards because by then I could have earned 3 times that. With as much as I use and value my Green Dot card and service, it would be nice to be able to get my cashback rewards after I hit the maximum, otherwise any cashback earnings I could be making the majority 8 to 9 months of the year just become null and void. It is a little disappointing because I work very hard and I use my card wisely on certain things specifically for cashback rewards. I feel that I should be able to earn and receive cashback rewards as long as I am still having large weekly direct deposits and actively using my card. Thank you sincerely for your time and concern! I hope my opinion is strongly taken into consideration. Have a blessed day!

Hello Emillee,

Thank you for providing such valuable feedback regarding the cash back rewards feature. We take your suggestions very serious and will forward your suggestions to the correct department. We value your business and we thank you for allowing us to assist you with your financial needs. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Thank you!

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: June 13, 2019

My previous bank decided it would be a good idea to charge me me a monthly fee after I requested the account to be closed. I had already withdrawn my cash because of a security issue so I was charged 2 NSF fees because 1 I didnt have any cash to cover the monthly fee of 15 dollars and the other because there was no cash to cover the NSF fee they charged me for after knowing I had withdrawn my cash. Long story short I was switching jobs at the time and went to apply to a local bank and they informed me that I had a delinquency flagged under my name for non payment of a NSF fee.

So I started looking into other banks that I could get a card through that would allow direct deposit, I stumbled upon Green Dot at Walmart bought the card for 3 bucks deposited a little money on it and I was good to go. Setup was a breeze and customer service had me on and off the line in no more than 10 minutes tops, The app is amazing you can pay bills with direct pay order checks and transfer cash to other accounts so long as they are Green Dot. Even better they dont charge you to transfer cash to your savings and back other banks always charged me if I did it more than 7 or 8 times a month knowing you cant plan for the unexpected you can only prepare for it, Green Dot really gets it.

Not to mention if you have a direct deposit thats of a certain amount they wave the monthly charge. Green Dot is awesome because they get me my money up to 3 sometimes 4 days early after my employer releases payment. Even tax returns are easy using them. I got my taxes about 2 weeks before any of my friends did. If you're tired of all the other banks out there please give GreenDot a chance you wont regret it.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I drive for Uber and it is really convenient to have a Green Dot card. The most beneficial thing for me is that I can cash out for my job. I could charge for it at certain times a day. I have an automatic deposit with it. For example, my money comes from my DoorDash, which automatically transfers in to my Green Dot card. It said the process would take two to three business days, but it only took a day, and there was a holiday included. So that was good for me.

I’m very, very happy with the app that I use. The app is through GoBank and it is super convenient because I can get text messages and emails that let me know my balance and transactions. I can also get all notifications about any time there is a transaction. And any time my balance falls below a certain amount, I can get a notification, which is really helpful. There’s a lot of features that I can get if I wanted to. There’s a lot of information there, and a lot of help packed in.

I can also use free ATMs, like at any pharmacy. In the app that I have for the bank I use that's affiliated with the Green Dot card, I could see the map or their list of where the ATMs are all free. I also get cash backs for certain stores and gas stations, which is really helpful. So far, in almost any gas station I’ve used my card at I get a certain percent back. But a certain gas station is giving me more percentages back. And any time I use the card at Walmart, I get a certain percent back. I would definitely recommend Green Dot to other people. It’s very user-friendly.

Hi Molly,

We're so happy to hear that you're satisfied with our app. Mission Accomplished! We do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks by offering a variety of features and simple fees. We hope that you continue to enjoy your GoBank app and all its great features.

Green Dot Corporation

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

It's only been this past year that 2 of my rent checks had not been received by my landlord. I was able to contact customer service via their chat function for the first check back in March of this year. She was fantastic. I explained the situation (granted, a few times because of communication issues) and she was able to refund the money back to my account so I could re-send a new check. This month, it happened again. Got a call from the landlord stating that, as of today 10-12-18, the check I'd authorized to be sent on 09-28, was never received.

With no "stop payment" function available, I am stuck until I can get in contact with support. I've been trying and trying to access the chat function to get this resolved but it has been "closed". I can't afford to send another $1540 in the hopes I'll be refunded again later. I need a resolution as quickly as possible. Like I said previously, I've really had nothing but great experiences with this card. I am considering changing the bill pay though since there's really no accountability or, ability to track the "check" that is sent. You're basically sending a money order without the benefit of a receipt. :-/ Help?

Hi Amber,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Green Dot Corporation

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

So, I got this card and agreed to pay the monthly fee so I could get my payroll deposit up to two days early (as they advertise). My husband works at the same company I do. Paydays are on Friday. He gets his paycheck on Wednesday thru Netspend. I get my paycheck on Friday with Green Dot. My employer releases the money on Wednesdays. Green Dot is always telling me they post it as soon as they get it. That’s BS. I call and chat with them and it’s always the same story. They do not post it early like they advertise. I’m dropping this crappy card. False advertisement.

Hello Amanda,

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I have been trying to get an authorization hold from a cancelled transaction released for 11 days and I have gotten more help from the merchant than my own "bank". I'm a disabled veteran on vacation with my family and now we are stuck. I have been told I would receive a call back several times and have not received one yet. Did a conference call that the bank representative suggested I do. She heard them say the transaction was declined by the bank and that the funds would not be collected. Wasted 40 mins of my time only to be told by the representative I have to wait 30 DAYS FOR MY MONEY THAT MY "BANK" IS HOLDING FOR NO REASON. THE MERCHANT EVEN OFFERED TO FAX THE INFO TO THE BANK. Still no help.

Hello Tiffany,

Our records indicate that you spoke with a manager from our office. We’re glad that we were able to address the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist.

Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

My husband purchased a MoneyPak by Green Dot card and loaded $250.00 on there for our kids' school clothes. Our account was already set up from previous deposits and there is already a debit card on file, however, when we went to "add money" We were told to wait the 20-30 minutes. We waited, tried again and it gave some error about the card cannot be used. Then it gave the 20-30 minute error again. And now it has locked me out stating "We're sorry, but we can't complete your deposit. You have exceeded the number of MoneyPak deposit attempts allowed in one day." So now we're stuck in limbo and definitely can't afford to wait two weeks for a refund and the phone system is enough to make a person scream! I don't understand the issue especially since it's the same card and nothing has changed! It was just used last month for a larger amount so I'm looking for answers and hoping to get a timely response or resolution.

Hello VaLinda,

We attempted to contact you through the number provided by Consumer Affairs but were unable to reach you or leave a voicemail. Please contact us via Private Message at your earliest convenience so we can assist you with resolving your concerns. We look forward to hearing from you!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I have had my card for 15 years. I loved it and had any minor problems. Recently my card was compromised and they left only 8 cents in my account. I contacted Green Dot before some of the fraudulent transaction had posted. They immediately stopped those transactions. BUT all prior transactions are "under investigation". For up to 2 weeks. I have had no money in my account for 6 days. Today my replacement card showed up. Great I get direct deposit on my payroll and I can pay back some nice folks. BUT now the card won't authorize and they have to send it to technical and will be another 2 days. WTF! My autopays are not going through. I am getting behind. I have people I owe money to... I will be changing to a traditional bank.

Hello Lucy,

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I had my tax refund loaded onto a Green Dot Prepaid Visa instead of into my bank account because it seemed safe and I was saving the money for my move which was planned for July. I hardly used the card because I was saving it but I made a purchase in July and the following day I grab that card to buy a soda and the amount was $1.99 and it was declined. I thought it was a mistake and called the card and my balance was $0.00. I was shocked all our money was gone over $2000.00. A friend said, "don't worry. It's FDIC protected. You're covered. That's the entire reason for not stuffing the money away in your house. Just call and report what happen."

So I called, filled out the paperwork. I even overnighted it to their PO box and tracked. My job's done now. We just wait. I called back. The first man tells me my case was declined because they didn't get my paperwork. So I tell him, "NO. You got it. I have proof." Then he spends ten mins telling me I'm wrong. Then I get an account specialist who's telling me she doesn't know why my case was dismissed. Then she says I need more proof. Well it shows me using it on the same day they used it in California. So unless we have invented time travel there's your proof. Still case is dismissed.

It clearly shows the card being used while I'm in my hometown of Sanford FL but yet I have to give them proof. They never even looked at my account. They just closed the case. Well there's no way I'm giving up that easy. I want to know what kind of investigation they did because it was a crappy job. TAKE YOUR CASH AND STICK IN YOUR HOME SOMEWHERE UNLESS YOU CAN AFFORD TO BE RIPPED OFF BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE. Christina **

Hello Christina,

Green Dot expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.

• Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.

• Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.

• Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.

• Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.

• Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.

• Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg