2.96/5
Based on 1,274 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Gallery (3)
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 22, 2018

4448 Green Dot Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

This is my first and last experience using this company! I used to company for the advertisement I’ve seen on the TV and Online about the tax prep services. So I processed all was well. I received my card to my house in a timely fashion, after receiving my card I followed the instructions on how to activate via (Phone). The card was activated no problem. Now I was just waiting on the IRS to release my funds. I would check every so often at “TrackMyRefund.com." The official IRS website. So when finally the money came I went to the store to make a purchase to make sure card was active and working correctly. It was fine. No worries. No problems.

After having the card a few days I’ve made a few purchases by swiping over the days. Mind you I never stated setting up an online account to track balance or any of that nature. I didn’t see the point in it when at the time I didn’t have a smartphone to even download the app. So that step to having and tracking the money via (online/phone) I never completed. Now days passed I have the card, keep it in my wallet which is always on my persons (because they will ask you if you have ever gave any of your info out) which I never did.

Well one day I was in the store and I used to card earlier in that day with no problem. Then later that evening at the store my card was declined. I thought that was funny because I had over $6,000 in my account. Didn’t think much of it but to maybe there was a limit on how much I could swipe per day; So I left there, went immediately home and called the number on the back of the card. Put in my info and was directed to an recorded voice. Stating my balance which was down to (40$) and them telling me my transaction history. On dates starting March 22, 23, 26 there were 5 online money transfers and 2 online payments made I never had the knowledge of.

After hearing that info I stayed on the phone to report the fraud and transactions I never made. I explained to them I never used online banking, they named the people the money was transferred to and the amounts. Once I stated it was all fraud they stopped explaining anything to me and stated it would be under investigation... And take up to 10 days. I didn’t feel comfortable hanging up the phone with just little info on what was happening or where my money was going. I felt like I was pushed away and rushed off the phone. So this was the 27th of March I made the complaint. I waited till the 13th day because I never heard from them (phone call, email) after they stated I would have something sent both to my house and To my email account giving me updates or the final outcome to the investigation.

That never happen. I actually had to call down there and now the number I was originally calling on the card has a set up that you put your info in and if your account is being investigated they send you to pre recorded messages that proceed to give you no info and hang up on you. (Stating that a refund check has been sent) refund as in the remaining balance that was in your account after I complained about the unauthorized transactions. So finally I did some searching and found another number where I sat on hold for an hour. Just got the lady to tell me my claim was denied. She gave no explanation! She said only thing she can redo is the file another claim and to send more supportive documents. I explained to her I can’t even access my online account to see any info. Nothing! She said I’ll file a new claim and gave me number and hung up.

So after that last call I will no longer be stressing myself out! I got my lawyer involved which is costing me, but we plan to take action and are filing suit papers! It’s been 21 days with no one sending info, replying no nothing. Bills are behind. Rent is coming. My unemployment has ran out. I work street construction so I do have a job just weather permitting when our season can start. Other than that this company has put me in a hole! And in debt!

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Debit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I wouldn’t trust Green Dot with my money! They have had my tax refund for over 2 months!!! They were suppose to send it back to the IRS within 45 days but never did! So when I call to complain they ask me to resubmit my ID and it would take 2 business days to review. I called to see if my review was finished and they told me that they couldn’t identify my identity and that I would have to wait over 45 day AGAIN for them to send my refund back to the IRS! I NEED MY MONEY that I worked hard for! How would y’all feel if I hold y’all money for over 45 day?? I bet y’all would understand then! Whenever I get my money I will not be using Green Dot again... NEVER!

Original review: April 16, 2018

My card was compromised and over $1000 in charges were made. I caught it immediately, while the charges were PENDING (they were made in a city over 6 hours away). I told Green Dot not to honor the charges. They told me they had an obligation to the vendor and I could just file a dispute once they posted! And then they charged me $5 for a replacement card (which I don't want and will NEVER use). I have been getting the runaround and can't get through to their customer service now (I use the term loosely). Unfortunately, this is the only option for some people, but there is ZERO protection. Don't get your paycheck direct deposited - if someone steals your card number, you're SOL. They will do NOTHING.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Green Dot closed my card for no apparent reason just before they were supposed to refund me my money back to my card. I’ve waited long enough. Still no results. Nobody to discuss this matter with. I need my money ASAP especially since they granted my refund.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I had a random company pull $225.00 off my card. I disputed this a month ago and I still have not had my money replaced or put back in my account. I have had this card for years and never disputed a thing till this happened and so far a very unpleasant experience. It's been hell trying to get my stolen money back. I'm still waiting for resolution with this matter. All I want is my 225.00 back. That's not too much to ask is it? Thanks Green Dot for allowing me to be ripped off and doing squat about it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: April 15, 2018

So let me preface this by saying that before this experience I absolutely loved my GreenDot card. About thirteen days ago I was tending you load a MoneyPak refill to my account now card. I was having issues so I spoke to my phone and said, "Okay. Connect me with MoneyPak customer service." Long story short it was not the correct MoneyPak company and the man on the other end stole all my phones. Without notifying me or doing anything to let me know they shut off my card that I have been using for a long time. I only found out because I had a transaction declined.

I called and was told I needed to email a copy of my ID to this address, which I did immediately. Nothing happened. I have continued to call, can't get a straight answer number one as to why that card was ever even shut off when it was not involved with any transaction with MoneyPak and number two how much longer I'm going to have to wait when I have done everything that they have asked me to do. It has come to the point now that when I call they will not even let me speak with a customer service representative. Boo on Green Dot. I have honestly coming to expect more from this company as I said I was more than satisfied until recently.

This is cause major headaches and hassle in my life as I use this card to pay a lot of bills and take care of a lot of things and I have been completely unable to access my card for almost 2 weeks. So not only did I lose $600 from a MoneyPak, I lost the ability to use my GreenDot card. I don't quite understand how I get punished for someone stealing from me.

In closing when I called MoneyPak they told me that they were not responsible, and they would attempt to recover any money that might be left on that MoneyPak card. LOL money left? Give me a break! I'm in the wrong business, you can take someone's money but then you're not responsible for it when something happens to it. LMAO. What a joke. Switch to NetSpend, which I really like but let me warn everyone to not use a Reloadit pack as it will take 4 hours every time you load a pack to your safe before you can put it on a card. Once again, boo on Green Dot and boo on their service dept.

Original review: April 13, 2018

This company 100 percent ruined our spring break vacation. We purchased the Green Dot prepaid card from Safeway in Colorado. When we got to Phoenix Arizona and try to use our card it had been blocked for no reason. I called the number on the back of the card and was unable to resolve this problem. It has now been 3 weeks and I am still working on getting my money back. I have done everything their website has told me to do to unblock the card. But at this time it is still not resolved. I have done research to try and get a hold of a person at the company. And no number that I have found puts me in contact with the person. This company holds approximately $800 of my vacation money. I will never recommend this company and I will never use it again myself.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I called to obtain a permanent card as I only had the temporary without my name on it. The CSR that I spoke with was almost unintelligible, failed to update my address even though I repeated it numerous times. This resulted in my card being sent to an old address, where someone activated it. I was charged a $20 fee after loading the card, which is outrageous. Then when I requested that a new card be sent to my current address, the ridiculous woman tried to charge me another $5. I will absolutely never use this service again, and the outsourcing by the company is reprehensible. I should be able to understand the person with whom I am conducting business. Worst company ever.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I was recently the victim of a failed scam. Unfortunately, I purchased the MoneyPak vouchers but did not give the vouchers to the scammers (claiming to be Bexar County Sheriff). I have attempted over the last 4 days to load the vouchers onto my bank debit card. I have three vouchers totaling 1495.00. I have received various messages, but no money from the MoneyPak voucher purchased at CVS has been loaded on my debit card, even when told they are successfully loaded. This is unbelievably frustrating after going through what we have been through already this week!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I swear I will NEVER use this company again. It is impossible to get through to a customer service representative! I have never received my card for my tax refund (which I was planning on using to buy a car). I try to call and you need your card information, which I don’t have! I try to do it the other way where you use you SSN and birthday, it tells me my birthday is wrong! How do I even go about filing that I never received my card if I can’t even get through these stupid ** questions that state I’m wrong. I’ve been around 26 years. I’m pretty sure I would know my birthday! If someone finds a way to get through to an actual person, PLEASE help me. I’ve seen a lot of unanswered questions on here so my hopes aren’t too high at the moment.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I purchased a Green Dot MoneyPak card. It can't be used because it's missing 2 numbers, needs 16 only has 14. They have $390.00 of my money. No way to use the card. I would like my money back. HELP!!!

Original review: April 12, 2018

I’ve been a user of Green Dot for years. I’ve had all my payroll checks direct deposited as well as tax refunds. I hold on to my card like it’s my lifeline. One day I got several charges from Mexico almost draining my account. I call customer service and can barely understand the CSR and we couldn’t seem to understand what the other was saying. Finally got some help to dispute the transaction and emailed the forms with the claim number and have yet to hear if I can get my money returned as my payroll checks are still being deposited and I can’t access it until my new card comes. But I never lost my card. Someone somehow was able to make a transaction with it in a foreign country and I’ve never left the United States.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I got this card to get paid earlier. The first 2 pay weeks I received it on the same day as usual, not early. The next week I got it a day early (Thursday), this excited me. Here we are on Thursday again, I thought I'd get paid but nope... Now I have to wait an extra day?? My purpose in this card was to get my pay early. This card defeats my purpose. Now instead of getting paid a day or 2 early, I'm getting charged a monthly maintenance fee. I should of kept the card my checks were originally deposited on... At least I wouldn't have a maintenance or atm fee. Needless to say I will be switching cards. Worse decision ever was getting this card.

Original review: April 12, 2018

For the most part, I love the Green Dot card as it makes it simple for me to give money to my daughters who are out of state, and sometimes my wife because I work over 100 miles from home. The reason for this bad review is quite simple, GREEN DOT has not updated their user agreement, their web page that a client uses to access their account info and the mobile phone app.

The user agreement says that if you use an in house ATM, you will not be charge an ATM fee. This the farthest thing from the truth. On your account page that you access from a computer AND the mobile phone app, you would be directed to use a 7-11 ATM which is part of the Money Pass network. However, recently if you do use a "Money Pass" ATM at 7-11, you will be charged a domestic atm charge of $2.50.

So you have a website, a mobile phone app that says if you go to this in house ATM (Money Pass), you won't be charged a fee, yet you are, the info GREEN DOT says is up to date, that boils down to plain simple theft. You can't legally charge somebody a fee without full disclosure. Even when you call up customer service and you point this out, it takes over 15 minutes for somebody to find out... "Oh, you will now be charged for using a Money Pass ATM at 7-11." WHY ISN'T THIS NEW INFO NOT DISCLOSED ON THEIR WEBSITE, THEIR APP and the Money Pass app also. Not a good way to conduct business.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have had a Green Dot credit card for almost 6 years. I have been paid on this card, received tax money on this card, traveled with it and so much else. I have used this card in Canada for the last year - mostly online, but this is where I have been living and for a while it allowed me to maintain my US Etsy Business and that was great. Fast forward to February 22nd, 2018. I received my tax return, I went online to do some of the shopping I'd been waiting to do. At 9 am on February 22nd, 2018 I chatted with Customer Service to let them know that I was in Canada that I had my card and I was the one using it. I wanted to make sure my card didn't get flagged because I was going to be doing a lot of shopping.

An hour later my card was flagged. I was asked to send ID to prove who I was. I sent it FIVE times because I kept getting notified that the picture wasn't clear (which is weird because it was 100% clear on my end). So I get on the chat again, they're not helpful, I get robotic responses. I end the chat. 2 minutes later suddenly my card is closed forever because they couldn't verify my identity. My money is frozen and sitting. I try to call. I can't talk to anyone because my card is cancelled and there's no way around it. I go to the support FB page and ask for help. They'll call in 24-48 hours. Then they say my number doesn't work (it does). I have spent the last 45 DAYS being told I would receive a call in "24-48 hours".

This is fraudulent. This is theft of my money. I am being charged FEES for this card, being taken out of MY MONEY, that's just sitting there unable to be used by me and not being sent back TO me. No one will call me and I can't call anyone. I'm fairly certain this can't be legal. I've been promised another call tonight between 4 and 5 pm est. When I don't receive that call I'll be contacting a lawyer - but I wanted to put my story out there for others.

Original review: April 11, 2018

My husband and I both had our accounts hacked by random people from other states. I called into Green Dot. I had to give them a statement. With three weeks, we both had our money back in our accounts. So grateful they were so nice and working with us. Got calls after we received the money to make sure we were okay with what happened and what we got back. Green Dot cares about the people using the reloadable cards. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Hi Janae,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We're so glad you are satisfied with the customer service you were provided. We value the opportunity to help people with their financial needs and do our best to offer alternatives to traditional banks. We hope that you continue to enjoy your Walmart MoneyCard and all of it's great features. Thank you so much for being a loyal customer.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I don't understand why Green Dot bank is allowed to operate a business knowing the amount of scams that are taking place across the nation. The least they could do is reimburse some of the money people are scammed out of including myself. This business needs to be shut down.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have 2 different payroll deposits. One on the 9th and one on the 24th. Hits like clockwork. All of a sudden it is no longer hitting. The other one is every other Monday. Not hitting regularly anymore. Green Dot claims neither company after a year is not sending it. They have been getting later and later on posting funds. Spoke with a supervisor and he tells me, "Check your account tomorrow. It will hit". Very shady. My bills are set up to pay on my paydays. Very disappointed. I will be looking for a different place to have my payrolls deposited to. They also have poor customer service. If you call more than twice you're blocked from reaching customer service. Had to go in through my husband's account to be able to talk to anyone. This received a one star only due to it not allowing me to give it a zero star.

Original review: April 9, 2018

FINALLY received my Green Dot card in the mail, however it said the card number is invalid, and says I’ve tried too many times and now I have to wait 24 hours. I’m pregnant and I need to feed myself and my baby. I just want to be able to access my money. Customer service is of no help because I can’t talk to an actual human being. I’m so beyond frustrated.

Hi Jaden,

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble with your card. We'd like to have a customer support specialist look into this further. We’ll be reaching out to you soon through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have never had a problem with Green Dot before. I just want to know what right do you have to just take my money. I have used you guys for years... Went months without using my card and never have you taken previously money from me before. I am furious right now. I never knew even if I was not using my card I was still being charged monthly fees. This is a first and last time I use Green Dot.

Hi Tamra,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the contact information provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: April 9, 2018

My original card from TurboTax through Green Dot was stolen and most of my refund was used and stolen. When I called about acted like it was my fault and didn't wanna help. All they pretty much did was sent me a new card and closed down my other card. Still as of today I haven't heard anything about it and can't get through to nobody. So I'm getting a lawyer and suing for theft and I will be reporting this company. This is my first time being with them and this is how they do me and I see other people have had the same issues with their money stolen or their accounts closed for no reason.

Hi Leah,

Original review: April 9, 2018

This card is worthless. Do I get my money back from store, spend an hour, get activated, then told can't use it online. Only in person, what the hell you think I bought it for was to use online. Now all this jacking around lost out and lost 51 bucks on action from your junk service, can't even get a real person. Recording hangs up on you **. If I'm paying in person I got a bank card. Don't need your crap card. Only thing I bought it for was online. Pisses me off even more when say my info I give not worthy when it's all accurate to the tee. You can bet I'm gonna write my experience on Facebook, and in the teamster newsletter, bought at Casey's General store, in Cheney Kansas on 4/8/18. I can text you picture of receipt, not a clue how to get it in my computer.

Hi Curtis,

Original review: April 9, 2018

IRS Sent my tax refund to Green Dot but said they have not received it! It's been five days. I'm still waiting. I'm depending on my refund. Car note, due rent and my kids need it. SMH. I NEED MY MONEY NOW NOT LATER!!!

Hi Talieea,

Original review: April 9, 2018

I filed my taxes with TurboTax on February 9 2018 and opted to receive my refund on a Green Dot Turbo card. If I knew what I would be going through these next few months I would have never chosen that option. I have repeatedly asked for cards to be sent out. 4 to be exact and now I'm trying to just get my money on a check. This is the 2nd check that's supposedly been sent out which they told me was expedited when we spoke on phone and I now find out through Twitter it wasn't expedited. It will be two weeks. I will probably not receive this check either since I have been hearing the same thing the past 2 months. It's ridiculous and don't understand why I cant just get my money. Why it has to be this much of a hassle. If I could put zero stars I would.

Hi Glenn,

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 8, 2018

There was fraud detected on my card and this company cajthed over 600$ on my card. Filing a dispute with Green Dot is excessively long. They told me it would take 10 days and they didn’t issue me any credit. This company took 600$ of my rent money and I need to wait ten days for an investigation. On top of that the rep I spoke to said they had to send me a new card which is fine. I called on the 5th day to ask about where my card was. Guess what. They never and sent it. I’m just beyond frustrated with this company. I want my money that was stolen from me. Green Dot is not very good with fraud protection. I’m hoping this gets settled soon. I’m also going to the BBB to write a review.

Hi Jalysa,

Original review: April 7, 2018

When my card got stolen in December of 2017 I reported it immediately. It had just been loaded with over $500 and was stolen by an acquaintance and 10 to 12 transactions immediately after the card was taken emptied my card of all the cash I had. The Green Dot Corporation sent two cards straight away that I was unable to use. I got the third card when they finally got it right. Subsequently I filed a dispute (They tell you there is a dispute form. I spent nearly an hour looking for it throughout their website... good luck with that one) so I just created my own. Send a copy of the police report along with all the transactions that were incurred by the thief.

Hoping and praying that Green Dot would stand by their policy to return to their customer stolen $$ by the unauthorized user, instead they rejected my disputes over &over again... there are other online problems that are maddening because most of the time difficult to speak with a live customer service employee; periods my experience is that nobody really cares enough to resolve your situation... Recently I received a new card I didn't order and it arrived with no instructions. Difficult company to deal with.

Hi Valerie,

Original review: April 7, 2018

On the 23rd of March 2018 at 6:13 pm. I bought a MoneyPak card from the Dollar General Store. I came home and tried to add it to my card, but Green Dot site needed proof of identity, I uploaded my driver's license. I went back to add the money to my card and an error came up saying my card had already been used. There was no phone number on the back of the card. I went to the website and eventually found a support site on Facebook. They told me they would have this resolved in 5 business days. They still cannot tell me where my money is. I have rent to pay and all they can tell me is they are still looking into it.

Hi Chrystal,

Original review: April 6, 2018

My tax prepare had my tax refunds to go to my Walmart MoneyCard. They locked my account at midnight one night because I requested a new card at my new address. Told me my account would be closed Feb 12. No contact back. They accepted my tax refunds and then when I sent my military ID and social security card it wasn't valid proof but they accepted my tax refunds when the account was supposed to be closed.

Hi Jamainayh,

Original review: April 6, 2018

I ordered a Green Dot card online and set up direct deposit. My paycheck was deposited into the account but I am now being told the account is nonverifiable and could not be opened. However, my check was deposited into the account and I'm not able to speak with anyone for assistance. I would like to speak with someone and have my money redirected.

Hi Ashley,

Original review: April 6, 2018

I have been waiting for just an answer on what happened to my direct deposit. My paycheck is just floating around somewhere and these people can’t seem to help with **!!! I now cannot get through to an actual person instead of that stupid machine which repeats the same worthless information. I work because I have ** to pay and now I can’t pay ** because these idiots do not know where my money is. Please!! I WILL NEVER EVER USE THIS AGAIN! If I do not receive my money immediately I will be contacting BBB! I am fed up with this piece of ** “Bank”.

Hi Megan,

Green Dot expert review by Barbara Friedberg

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.

• Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.

• Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.

• Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.

• Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.

• Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.

• Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.

• Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.

• Best for: Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg