2. Finance

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.84/5
Based on 1,705 ratings submitted in the last year

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

BOTTOM LINE

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

PROS
  • No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals
CONS
  • $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Top Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Green Dot is the greatest thing ever. It’s much easier to bank with and I get no late fees, hidden fees or phone calls. The alert message telling me how much is in my account is always on time… It also helps me keep my money in order. I'm so happy with Green Dot.

I like not dealing with the bank. I was getting my paychecks put on the Green Dot card and it's easy to use. Also, I have the app where I can check my balance. A lot of times when you're out and about, you lose track of your money. So I can always go back, pull it up, and look.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

What is Green Dot?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are reloadable debit cards that serve as an alternative to traditional bank accounts and let you load your paychecks directly onto the card for free. The company provides an easy-to-use mobile app and flat-rate monthly fees, and the card is accepted anywhere in the U.S. that accepts Visa.

Prepaid cards are easier to get approved for than some other types of banking solutions, which makes them a good option for those with bad or no credit.

Other people who like the flexibility and control of prepaid cards include:

• People traveling across the country
    • Parents giving kids an allowance
    • People who want to manage their spending
    • People who don’t like traditional banks

How do Green Dot cards work?

You can easily set up a Green Dot prepaid card to receive direct deposits from paychecks, government deposits or tax returns for free. You can also use the mobile app to deposit checks online.

Once you’ve put funds onto the card, it can be used like any other debit card. It can be used anywhere that accepts Visa, so it's accepted at many locations around the world. Many retailers, including Kroger and 7-Eleven, allow for free cash withdrawals when you check out.

How much are Green Dot cards?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards has a $7.95 monthly charge for users who deposit less than $1,000 on the card each month. There is no monthly fee for those who deposit more than $1,000 per month. It costs $3 to withdraw money from ATMs and around $6 to reload cash onto the card.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards also offer:

• Free direct deposit
    • Free ACH transfers
    • Free mobile check deposit
    • Free mobile app
    • Free withdrawals from select stores

Green Dot FAQ

How do I access my Green Dot account?
    You can either use the company’s online website or mobile app to access your account.
    What prepaid cards work with Green Dot?
    Green Dot offers prepaid Visa cards.
    What bank is associated with Green Dot?
    Green Dot partners with Bonneville Bank and the U.S. Treasury.
    Is Green Dot a real bank?
    The Green Dot Corp. is an American financial technology and bank holding company.
    How do I activate my Green Dot prepaid Visa card?
    You can activate your Green Dot card on the company’s website.
    Do Green Dot cards have a chip?
    Yes, Green Dot cards have a chip for added protection.

Is Green Dot safe?

Green Dot prepaid cards are a good solution for customers who want more control over their spending without the hassle of using a traditional bank. Because the cards don’t help build credit, Green Dot Prepaid Cards aren’t the best long-term solution for building a better financial history. However, the reasonable monthly fees and free deposits, transfers and retailer withdrawals make the cards an affordable and straightforward solution that can be attractive to many.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Resolution response: April 20, 2021

I am happy to say my account was unblocked immediately 48hrs later.

Original review: April 12, 2021

I received my EIDL loan on my Green Dot account once my deposit posted. Green Dot blocked my account along with all my money I had in savings and required me to send my loan documents & ID front and back. I have children. I run a cleaning company. I am a sole proprietor and I also work for FedEx. Ground me and my kids can't buy anything to eat until my card is unblocked which they say it will be 2 days. And I think this is unfair but I understand protection of customers but they could have went about this a different way. Please unlock my account. Please I am begging. I love my Green Dot account and am happy with their services. I just need this resolved.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I still think they are a good company but they hold your money like a hostage to boost their profits and bottom line. Too many new inexperienced new hires and diversity training. They don't have after hours customer service which is a pain if it's important but not urgent. Banking in America is so out of whack with true customer fundamentals: they banks and customers are making, keeping, and spending less money because if all these restrictions, fraud alerts, etc .. whomever wrote these software programs have no real understanding because like most police departments it has not solved the problem but contrary to many contributed to it.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I was with Green Dot for five years. My only complaint is that I don't think they did reverse credits as quickly as they could have. My pension deposits were on time or early. They support associates who's names were always fake... Were very helpful except when challenged with advertisement versus truths.. I no longer use green dot by would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I really don't have an issue except for the cash back feature. I was really excited to get a chip card. Everyone was using one. I wanted to see what the hype was about. The card I have is cash back. When someone make purchases at certain stores you get money back. They say your account can't be in the negative. Thought I was getting money back.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

Green Dot Prepaid Cards can be very convenient for people who don't have a bank account. I personally used these cards when the banks couldn't be trusted. I had a checking account with one of the "big" banks. The bank was accused of stealing personal account information from their customers. So, I didn't trust banks for a very long time. You also hear about banks charging outrageous fees and doing annoying robotic calls. With the Green Dot prepaid cards, you have more control over your money. Who else is the most trustful with your money but you?

Original review: April 11, 2021

So I wanted to get a card that I could load and reload and use. It all started with the first card so I bought a card from Walmart and I wanted to try this particular company out so I started with just putting $20 on it. Well I used it for a day then I went to try and reload it. I Walmart said they couldn’t load it. Wouldn’t reload. So I didn’t think anything about it. I just bought another one. Put 20 more there. Then the next day I went to try and reload it again. Same thing. So at this point I’m kinda annoyed. Each time I had to buy the card I had to pay for the card plus the fee so for the 24.xx each time I was only able to spend 14.xx because each time it was charging me the monthly fee on each card. So I tried to call and find out what’s going on why can’t I load this card.

This is where it became a complete and total headache.. By far the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced in my life. It’s been over 2 months now I’ve been trying to verify my account. I’ve sent in my driver license 4 times to the verifymydocs@greendotcorp.com. They claim it takes 2 days to get back to you. I’m not sure. I haven’t gotten a single email once even gotten an email back letting me know that any email has been received at all. Every time I call they put you on hold as they’re talking so it seems like the service cut out.

The chat is even worse. I’d recommend just going to the website and ask for anything and you’ll see what I mean. There is no help whatsoever. The only thing help you will get from the chat is then saying they can’t assist you or flat out refuse you. I wanted to make sure I got the verifymydocs email correct and it literally took me 6 different chats from 6 different reps, for someone to even say yes you have the correct email. I’m still dealing with it. I just wanted to warn everyone. Pick any other prepaid card. There is a reason that every other review website these guys only have 1 star.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I want to warn people about the Green Dot debit card that is bought at Walmart. This card will lock your account and keep your money. My card was compromised and the bank locked the card and sent me a new one. It was blocked also. It was never used. The bank just blocked it with no reason. When you call they scream and tell at you. The Bank gives you different email addresses to contact them that do not work. The only way to reach them is through a call center that does not answer any questions because they have no answer. I have wondered how much interest the Bank has made off my blocked card.

After reading Facebook Green Dot how much they make in interest in blocked cards for your "protection". This is strictly my opinion but I have not been able to use my card since March 31. I have called/ email/ and Facebook the company to no help. The Bank does not confirm your email so you don't really know if it goes through. Sent messages does not work on your phone with this company. I have filed a police report and filing a complaint with the attorney general and Consumer Affairs in my state. Just be warned this Bank needs a serious review by Federal Reserve. They are not regulated by FDIC.

Original review: March 29, 2021

Considering all the other options available to the public when it comes to online banking and pre-paid visa cards/accounts, the Green Dot Unlimited pre paid visa is in my opinion based on personal experience a total scam. Particularly for one specific reason, which if not for this one reason, it would be comparable to many of the other online pre paid visa banking options.

Green Dot Unlimited offers you the benefit of getting 2%cash back on all your purchases, which may sound great, except for the fact that most people that end up using one of these cards aren't particularly wealthy. Say you make 1000 a month and the rare chance that you spend that 1000 using the unlimited card, that would give you 20 bucks cash back added to your account which adds up over the course of 12 months before you can redeem it.

The downside to all this is the fact that you are charged almost 8 bucks per month just to use this card and banking services associated with it. Now someone like myself will be lucky to end up with 100 bucks cash back at the end of 12 months. So if you take into account the monthly fee they charge of $7.00 and change, which comes to $84.00. In the end you only make back about 16 bucks. Not to mention it costs you $3.95 every time you add money to your account. I just want to make sure people who read this understand that in the end, you really aren't getting jack shit for cash back in the end. It's a marketing tactic and there are much better options out there for people like myself who can't, won't or don't use regular banks. Hope this helps someone.

Original review: March 16, 2021

Purchased an item from AutoZone. Returned it and Green Dot blocked my card. Pending further review. Sent the copy of the receipt to the verifymydoc email and no one at their laughing tech support can say anything except be patient and wait. Well it has been 3 calendar days and as a disabled veteran and with a 6 yr old diabetic need access to my money. I will never ever use Green Dot again and will be contacting the local news and attorney. The fact that Intuit TurboTax is in bed with these people proves never go against what your gut tells you. They are nothing but crooks.

Original review: March 10, 2021

My 15 year old gave me a Green Dot gift card for Christmas and all of the money was used on fees before I could purchase anything. This is a rip off and should not be purchased for any reason. DO NOT PURCHASE.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Information