3,606people found this page helpful

• 3 stars0%
  • 2 stars2%
  • 1 stars95%

Visit Our Site

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hi Esther, We're glad to hear about your great experience with Green Dot. Please let us know if you ever need anything.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I just stumbled upon Consumer Affairs, reviewed few complaints re: Green Dot services whether it was for prepaid Debit or gift cards. I had opened an account which I maintained for many years. Also having another account with different company. I regret that a few personal situations distracted me, that I lost my Green Dot Account but have now registered and closing out my second account.

For all the years with Green Dot I never had a problem that couldn't be resolved minor only. All major problems such as looking at the status of charges, if I didn't recognize it, I would call G.Dot and they will stop payment to party requesting (pending payment). Too bad all banks won't do that. I also use PayPal for online purchases but sometimes companies don't accept PayPal payments. Green Dot representatives every time I told them that I didn't recognize or that I didn't make any transaction with whomever they stopped payment from going to anyone giving me the phone number associated with the payments in question... The second account well they just tell me I'd have to wait 5 days if payment call back to file dispute against the Company. Sorry but if my money is in your care, your pretty much responsible for it. If you say I only work here, I don't endorse the policies, then they need to give you a termination boost.

I respect the representatives that have helped me or had to deal with me if I was unhappy. Everybody has their own way in which they assist. This I saved for last. One morning while taking a shower my new roommate used my computer to purchase movies for her phone. I learned of this when I had to call GDot to cancel my card, then I was told that at 9:45 am a charge was made online for movies. I told the agent I went into shower 5 min before that as I looked at the clock to see how much time I had before friend arrives. The agent told me she will Refund my money. The rep didn't even know me yet she did what she felt was right. They (Green Dot reps.) would call me after any transaction, wait for my code text that tells them I did or didn't do that transaction. So after all the love why would I go elsewhere?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

We'd like to help. Someone from our outreach team will give you a call to discuss. Thanks for reaching out.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I just received my Green Dot cash back visa card but the card numbers aren't on the card. The only numbers I got on the card were the cvv numbers. It says register but I can't register it without the card numbers.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Julia, Thank you for your note. At this time, our card faces feature our classic standard designs, but we will make a note of your request. So you know, NASCAR Green Dot cards are sold at Dollar General, if you have one in your area. Please let us know if you have any further questions or comments. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I have had an EXCELLENT experience with Green Dot for years. Never lost money, or hold up on funds. Excellent customer service when their poorly written FAQs have NEVER had the info I needed like what is the maximum amount a biweekly payroll direct deposit can be ($10,000), what is the waiting period after adding a 2nd card holder that the person can use the direct deposit info (after the person has been added for $4.95 and verified, which will ideally be seconds as it will be the direct deposit info that already exists with the acct). (See, GreenDot! Wasn't that easy!!!) HOWEVER, we do have 1 HUGE complaint. The choice of cards. Well, the fact that there is no choice of cards. It is something we would be willing to pay for. Give us NASCAR, give us Mossy Oak, give us Beaches, give us the choice to put loved ones on our card, give us Dogs and Cats, give us SOMETHING!!!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Kimberly, We are looking into your situation and will let you know as soon as we have more information to help. Thank you for your patience.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I have a Green Dot Walmart Money prepaid card and someone used my card fraudulently in Miami, Fl at Kmart. I have never been to Miami and never been to Kmart. I called Green Dot and they were so rude and when I asked for a manager they advised there is no manager. They said it can take 30 days for me to get my money back and now they had to close my card out and reissue a card and that takes 14 days. I need someone from Green Dot corporate to call me asap.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Shannon, We hear you and would like to help. Our investigative team will look into your situation and get back to you. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

Tax return was done using a Green Dot card. The card was mailed elsewhere. I didn't receive my return. They won't warranty or guarantee it. They said it's my responsibility, not theirs. They offered with court papers that doesn't help my kids and I now. Thought insurance would cover these things. Need help. What to do?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hi Craig, We've attempted to reach you to discuss your direct deposit, but have not been able to connect. Please call us back at the number left on your voicemail and in the private message we just sent if you need further assistance.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

SCAM ALERT!!! I ordered a Green Dot card off their website, which was pretty easy for my direct deposit for work. The first red flag is that the account number wasn't valid. The person in charge of payroll finally got it to work. Payday rolled around and I didn't get my deposit. I called Green Dot and got the runaround and the person who I spoke with, from what I could understand, gave me three different reasons why my deposit was still "pending" all of which included a wait of three pay periods before I could get my money.

I couldn't wait two months to get my money... I had my wife call and she talked to a girl who sounded like she was 12 years old. She said the same thing, that it would take 3 pay periods to get my money deposited. My wife proceeded to tell her that it didn't say anywhere about the wait and that it was false advertisement. We had our car repossessed because of them thieves so never use them, they will just steal your money. GREEN DOT SUCKS **!!!

I received this card as a gift for baby shower. In addition to very poor customer service, I was denied to receive any kind of confirmation. I closed my account today (even via email they have on file). I was also denied request to participate in their survey "since she closed my account". I was misinformed that if I call again it will be indicated to me account is closed and this is "immediate" and I'm still given an option to reload the card. Lady from customer service refused to hang up first so I have no access to survey. Very unprofessional!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hi Jan, Our investigative team is researching your situation and will reach out as soon as they have more info. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2016

I put $150 on my card at a local Walmart store. When I got home I check my account to verify the transaction, which I always do since my card had been compromised in the past. I realized that all the funds had been used in another city. I filled out a transaction complaint form from online mailed it the next day registered. Never heard back, called Green Dot was told they never received it. I filed and was denied twice, stating since I checked online I was aware of the transactions. Crazy. Walmart stole my money. Claim **. This took place April 20, 2016.

8/5/2016 - I received a Green Dot prepaid card as a gift $200. Inside of card wrappings there was no information pamphlets. The next day $7.95 mo service fee was deducted from card. I phoned number on back of card 866-795-7597 and was told all that info will come with my perm card on 8/10/16 and that is their monthly service fee. I phoned back on 8/10/16 spoke w/ suprv Nicole and requested perm card to be cancelled once at zero balance and was told by suprv Nicole to destroy temp card. From 8/11-8/13/16 there is a balance on my card I'm not able to. Green Dot has placed a block on perm card and it cannot be used at all.

I've have phoned the 866# from 8/11-8/13 and spoken with 7 agents whom barely speak English and have been transferred each time to an automated system where there is no option to speak with a live person or an option to resolve my issue. I've spoke with 8/10-8/11 Nicole, 8/12 Don, Faith, Devine, Ren, each claiming to be a suprv. After holding and being transfer on phone from 6 pm - 7:24 pm, I decided to go online and send several dispute, refund, other complaint on their website hoping someone American would contact me.

8/13 - Celyn (email cust support) left a voice msg on my cell and sent an email stating for me to call back and leave a good time to call. I immediately phone back to get looped right back into the automated system in which I reached Alvin whom again transfer me back to the automated system. I then responded to Celyn email within 10 mins from her original and have not received a response. I was requesting a refund of my balance in the form of a non-reloadable gift card ASAP and hoping never to do business with Green Dot again. It's too many issues to name in one email regarding this company. I felt like someone should know about this one.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Karen, We attempted to contact you regarding your concern; however, we were unable to reach you at the phone number you provided and sent you two email messages with our corporate phone number and your case number. Please contact Green Dot’s corporate office at your earliest convenience and any Supervisor at the corporate office will be able to assist you.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

Attention: save your money, time and effort. This card is a nightmare!!! I purchase a card at the pharmacy at 10:29 am and I have been fighting with them. They cannot give me any information because their system is down. I'm now stuck with a card and $50 is on the card. Why are they still in business, I wish to god they would close down. My cell phone is about to be disconnected because of this. People need to boycott this company. I spoke to someone from the Philippines that didn't have a clue as to what she was doing. I tried talking to her and she was not even listening to what I was saying. I have a card that cannot be activated and no one to help/assist me. I truly hate this company.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

We've tried to reach you several times, but have not been able to connect yet. Please contact us at the number provided in a Private Message if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I purchased this card because I checked into a hotel and they needed a card for a temp incidental hold. I put 50 on the card and it was authorized pending incidentals. Once I checked out the hotel released the 50 on their end so I called Green Dot to release the hold to have available access to those funds which they would not do. I'd have to wait 2 weeks. The hotel faxed documents on my behalf to be able to have my funds back. Even with the hotel doing that that still had me wait 14 days. Today is the date my funds are available to me so I go to the atm and wasn't allowed to withdraw the money until the card with my name on it came in the mail. So I call to see when I'd get the card. They said it should have already been sent. The only thing they could do was mail another one. I specifically told the rep "No. Do no not do anything with the account. I do not want you to report the card as not received," that I'd look through my mail.

I found it. I call back to activate and it could not be processed. I talked to a rep and they tell me the card was reported not received that I would have to wait another 3 days to access my cash with new card. At this point I am livid!! After I told the rep not to because I needed access to the cash and did not want to wait more than I had to that I would look for the card because if she did that my original card would not work and she did it anyway!! Now after waiting 2 weeks for them to release the hold I have the card to be able to withdraw the funds (with the temp card you can't) and now I can't and have to wait another couple of days for a new card to withdraw the cash. I asked to speak with someone higher to let them know of this incident. This rep cancelled my card when I told her NOT to. Now I can't access my cash with my card that was mailed... After waiting 2 weeks!!!

Now my funds are available to me. Can't even withdraw. I have to wait another 3-5 days because your rep decided she'd go ahead and cancel my card. I was not able to speak to a manager. This card sucks!!! Do not purchase Green Dot. The customer service sucks as well. NETSPEND is so much better and definitely worth it! And to add when my 50 was being held Green Dot negative my account -7.95 for monthly fee so my funds was 42.05. I haven't even had the card for more than 48 hours when they negative the account for a monthly maintenance fee.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hi Kia, If you'll please send us a PM with the name registered on your account & last four digits of your card number our investigative team will be able to look into your situation. Thanks.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I purchased a prepaid Walmart card and it came with Green Dot bank services. Green Dot has a horrible reputation so I never would have gotten this card had I known Walmart was banking with Green Dot. I paid for a rental car on July 29, 2016 with this card. My purchase was $1,290.87. Green Dot then held a pending charge of $1,296.00 after they received their money from my Hertz Merchant. I called to get the hold released and was told that it would be on hold until September 28th, 2016 unless the merchant sent over a release form which they did on August 5th.

I called Green Dot on August 8th and they confirmed that they had received everything and the charge would be reversed by August 10th which is today. I called and was told that case was denied because the paperwork was missing a signature letterhead. I then called the merchant who assured me that the paperwork was on letterhead and had a signature. Green Dot then said that my request was still denied. I had no idea that Green Dot would keep my money on an already paid claim which puts me in a bad spot with my creditors and rental office.

On June 10, 2016 I purchased two $20 cards, each having an additional fee of $1.95, for my daughter's preschool teachers, which, within minutes later, I realized they weren't gift cards. I called the company and spoke to a woman who took all of my information and assured me that I would be receiving a refund within two weeks. The weeks passed and I never received them. I had to jump through hoops to even obtain a phone to which I would be able to actually speak with someone without needing the numbers on the cards, since I had just thrown them out. Luckily, I thought, I still have the receipt!

So I called again, only to be told they would call me back to gather more information. Upon scratching my head, I wonder why what I gave them was not sufficient. So, every time they called I was busy. I even emailed them and told them when a good time is to call, on a specific day. So what do they do?... they don't call on that next day, but wait an additional day, at which time I am unable to answer my phone. Hmm.

So I write them again and they email me a form to fill out with all the information from the sales receipt. They come back and said, "I'm sorry, we cannot fulfill the refund without the proper information?" It's ALL there... read it! So I tell them that the information is there, just scroll (like I should have to tell them that). Hmm... then they write back and tell me that someone would be calling me the next business day after they receive a picture of the receipt! So I sent a picture of the receipt (mind you, all they should need is the cash register information. Jumping through hoops so I wouldn't bother, I presume. So, it's now August 8, and I still have not heard a word. No phone call, no email. BIG SCAM!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Orlando, Our records show that you spoke with our Corporate Resolutions department regarding your issue and were provided with additional information to address your concerns. Please let us know if further assistance is needed.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

I bought a Green Dot in 2 cards. Got a MoneyPak to load whatever is easier... Won't recognized my pin to load, so I try to call MoneyPak... no single no. to call on the card itself. Went to Google found a few no. Called and got a runaround that my pin got stolen in New Jersey. 1 hour buying the MoneyPak, the indian accent person felt concern, asked for my email address and was shock that my email or computer has been hack. At this point I say "what happen to my $$$$$." "Don't worry sir. We will fix that but you trust me right." The moment he said that word I started to begin suspicious. He asked me to go to my computer and go to this address he wants me to put my email address and press send after... God behold it run like you see in the movies... Everything that I can understand is saying is error for every crypted words on my email.

Then he used the word again "you trust me right". "I want you to call this number. They will fix all your hack information, bank statement, password, so this don't happen again. But there is a fee that will be $150 only..." I then realize I'm being scam. I asked him "why do you use MoneyPak if you don't work for them." He insist he did. I asked for speaking for his supervisor. He refuse to give it to me... If someone out there can find a live person on MoneyPak or Green Dot I wish you luck... Why is this in Walmart, Pavilions, Ralphs, all the prominent legit consumer market. They are selling a scam... Just imagine I speak english. What more to the poor hispanic who can barely read or understand this process.

Let's say consumer buy average of $50 day to load a card and 10,000 people in the USA buys per day. Half of them gets problem like me frustrated and just gives up... That's $50 X 5000 is $250,000 per day going to their pockets. Add that 1 month... No live person to talk to, nothing no matter what number you see on Google, on the card it goes around to one main automated person. I don't or can't find order no, but I live in Orange County California, bought the cards on CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens for the MoneyPak.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Molly, Per discussion with our customer care team member, we understand that your concerns have been resolved. Should you need any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

I got one of these Green Dot cards to order my college books online. My orders were declined due to insufficient funds. The card had well over what the total was on it. So I called customer service and after waiting for 2 hours on hold a lady who can barely speak English tells me they don't see the 100 dollars worth of orders on my account and tells me there's nothing they can do. All of the money from the order was deducted from my card. Never get one of these Green Dot cards! Never wasted so much time and money in my life!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hello Andrew, We've tried to reach you via phone multiple times, but have not been able to connect or heard back from you. We have reversed the FedEx charge and would like to speak to you about what else we can do to help. Please contact us at the number we've left on your voicemail. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2016

Early last week, (Around Monday) I discovered that there was an unauthorized purchase on my card. I called the number on my Walmart Money Card immediately to discuss my options. I had just gotten paid and all of my money was on the card. The extremely rude customer service rep cancelled my card before she even explained to me what was going on. I received an email shortly after that the hold on my card had been lifted. I was confused because I thought the card was cancelled so I called again and I got the same girl. She very rudely said "I have already told you your card is cancelled." I told her I was just confused because of the email saying it wasn't. She cut me off and talked down to me like I was stupid. She said she was sending us a new card.

This past Tuesday, (over one week later) I begin to get extremely low on the cash I had so I called to check when my card would be in. My card was never ordered! So I talked to a different rep who told me I could pay for a rush order. I paid $15 for rush 3 day delivery (my account was charged that day) and I still have no card, 4 days later. I am completely penniless and extremely frustrated by the company. When I do get a card, I will be pulling my money out and I will be done with this company. I can't believe that I got punished this way for my card getting compromised. I even explained that I had no cash and they did not care. Turns out I could've just filled out a form online and not had to deal with all this but no one bothered to tell me. I have two weeks of checks I can't access, I have bills that I can't pay, and the stress it has put on me and my household is horrible.

We are middle class and live paycheck to paycheck like most people. We had a little bit of cash saved but now that's gone. We don't even have any money for groceries or gas. If this card doesn't come in Monday I have no idea what we will do. It's so frustrating because the money is there, I just can't get it. It has been the worse experience I have ever had with a company. There was no empathy for my situation, They did not explain anything before cancelling my card... Wal-mart is a huge company and you would think they would care more about how awful this makes them look. My wife and I have been telling everyone we know that uses the Money card because I don't want this to happen to anyone else. NEVER get a money card.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hi Mike, Per our representative you spoke with, if you need further assistance, please let us know. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2016

I had a merchant place a large charge in error which shows on my account as a "pending" charge. Green Dot will not remove the "pending" charge until after 10 days. The merchant sent a fax & email to Green Dot to remove the charge, but Green Dot will not remove the "pending" charge - which takes away from available funds. Green Dot says they can remove the "pending" charge if the charge was from a car rental, which is crazy because you can not use Green Dot at car rentals.

I spoke with a representative about freeing up "my money" so I can pay bills, eat & etc., I asked to speak with a manager, but the rep provided me with her first name, Marquita, and hung-up the phone in my face. I never used any profanity or spoke badly toward the rep; I just wanted to speak with someone in a higher position of authority. No customer should be hung-up upon when they are trying to resolve an issue. I will be removing my money and closing the account. Do not use this company. RUN, RUN, RUN to another company.

Resolution response: Aug. 20, 2016

I received a refund check on August 15, 2016. I had no money or access to any of my money for approximately three weeks. I'm glad I did receive the check. However, the ordeal created a lot of hardship. I almost immediately contacted BBB and FDIC and it still took weeks to get my check. It hurt my trust and faith as a consumer. I think some people give up because they may not know who to contact and this is very concerning. My opinion of this company is at an all time low because of the way I was treated as a customer. I doubt I would have my money if I had not brewed a firestorm over the matter. Reporting to agencies, news stations, attorneys, attorney generals, the White House and so on. They lost my business for certain.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hello Kimberly, Per our discussion, your refund has been received and your concern has been resolved. We apologize for the delay and appreciate you working with us to correct the issue.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

I purchased a Green Dot card and had direct deposit. I purchased the card in January 2016. I get paid once a month via direct deposit. My pay was fairly low to begin with. 300. a month. I had no problems with my card or my account. My paycheck was much larger for the month of June 2016. I received a deposit of approximately 1100.00 on June 21st 2016 due to working a lot more hours. I made a few purchases in my local area and spent about 200.00. I made a payment to Facebook for an old bill using my online option. All of a sudden, a message appeared telling me to call the number on the back of my card. I called and was questioned about each of my transactions. I confirmed that I had made them. I was then told my account was frozen due to suspicious activity with no further details.

I was instructed to buy another card and use the pay people feature. It didn't work. Every agent repeated from a script of "we are sorry for the inconvenience but your account is frozen until you receive your new card." It never came. I filed complaints in the beginning with BBB and FDIC. This was my only income for food, housing, etc. Two weeks and ten or more conversations with Green Dot agents and no results. No card in the mail. No other way to access one penny of 800.00 balance that I trusted them with. I finally realized that closing my card would be the only option to get my money. I am supposed to receive a check in two weeks but I was supposed to receive a new card in one week and that never happened.

My card was never reported lost or stolen. They just denied me access to my own money for no apparent reason. I had to change my direct deposit for my next paycheck. They have multiple complaints that sound identical. I lost time from work making phone calls and contacting agencies for help. I will be contacting an attorney which is more lost time from work. I do not want to see anyone else lose their money or go through this stressful ordeal. I never want to deal with this unethical and irresponsible company again. I hope that I get my money from these people but it looks like they just got away with it from where I'm sitting. Please do not ever trust this company.

I used a Green Dot card years ago and approx 80 dollars was stolen off it and used for something called Habbo Hotel. I avoided them since then but my son picked up a Visa prepaid Green Dot card for me to pay a bill with. I paid the bill and intended to cancel the card and 12 days later what do you know. I just got an email from Habbo saying I requested to change my email to my current email. Green Dot is not a safe and secure way to handle your fund and should be avoided. I do not have a Habbo account and someone calling themselves spyyusef that is a Habbo member just gained access to a second Green Dot card I used.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hi Ella, Thank you for taking the time to speak to us. Your funds have been credited back to your account and should be available in 2 business days. If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out. Thank you.

Original review: July 22, 2016

Last week I put 60.00 on my card. I went to pay a bill and noticed almost $20.00 was gone off my card. I called customer service, and he told me I had a 2 month monthly fee, so I just let it go. Today I uploaded my card again (remind you this is within the same month). I went to activate my phone and Green Dot took $8.00 off my phone. I called customer service and the woman I spoke to got mad when I questioned her about this and hung up. I called back, got a man. He told me it was because of monthly fees. But you took almost $20.00 for monthly fees a week ago.

He continued to explain and I told him I was recording him because I may take legal action, he quickly hung up. Someone needs to look into this company ASAP. I asked to speak to a manager, I was told they didn't have one. I then asked to speak to a supervisor and that was denied. I truly believe someone inside the company is stealing money from innocent people. I pray someone does something about this because we work hard for our money and no one should take what doesn't belong to them.

Closing an account due Green Dot lies take my time, my money and frustrated. After initial call to close my account, they told me that check will be in 10 days. 3 weeks later I call to ask if something wrong and they ask me to wait 10 more days. Since then 3 months and no one penny, too many calls, too much frustration, and almost give-up. My recommendation: Fill a complaint at BBB, maybe they can help!

Green Dot is a piece of **. I bought one card yesterday and they took $7 out of my account and I only had it for one day. Waiting for customer service takes 4 hours and the service you get ** sucks in all this is the worst company ever. They take your money and they don't give it back.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hello Roy, Per our conversation, we've reversed the duplicate transaction, which is currently pending. Once reversed, your account will return to a positive balance. If you need any additional assistance, please let us know.

Original review: July 18, 2016

Disabled veteran and for two years trusted this bank until last month when they charged my account twice for $1050.00. I called and chatted with them but no help at all. Its sad. I think they get people to trust them and them mess with their money. Please DO NOT GET GREENDOT Prepaid. It sucks and customer service sucks too. Remember one thing if opening an account is so easy be careful because then it's also so easy to mess with your funds. Very disappointed and thankful I no longer bank with them.

We got a green dot gift card for our wedding as a gift. There was not a note saying how much it was so I called wanting to send out, "thank you." Turns out it has a negative balance of 19.67. How does a brand new gift card I unwrapped have a negative balance? Nice to know this but there is nowhere to get ahold of a green dot help person online and if you try calling you can never speak to a person for help. Glad I know this as I will never personally buy one of these cards for myself or anyone. Someone needs to be investigating this company for fraud.

I tried to withdraw my money from an ATM and it was declined. I had more than enough on the card. I called Green Dot and was told they cancelled my card due to suspicious activity and would send a new replacement card in 10 days. They refused to tell me just what this so called suspicious activity was. The agent said he didn't even know because they are not told themselves due to privacy issues and that there was no one that could tell me and that I the consumer would never know either due to privacy. I asked to have them lift the block on my card long enough to go to an ATM and withdraw the money and they said that is impossible.

I have read on this site that others have been allowed to go to the ATM and take out their money but I was told that was not possible. This is all the money I have and will suffer by waiting for a new card to be sent. I tried calling back to make sure the replacement card is not one of the temporary cards that do not allow withdrawals from ATMs and now the robot will not connect me to a live person by stating that I have already called today so I can not speak to a live person again. I am now in the process of reporting this company to attorneys as well as BBB and the Attorney Generals Office. How rotten.

I purchased a MoneyPak card, bearing the Green Dot logo, loaded with $240.00, thinking that I would use it to load cash onto my PayPal account. As it turns out, one is no longer able to load money onto PayPal using MoneyPak. MoneyPak refuses to refund money. This forced me to purchase a Green Dot pre-paid Visa. Purchasing a Green Dot pre-paid Visa forces one to necessarily load even more money onto what I consider to be an instrument of consummate evil, the Green Dot pre-paid Visa. I now have $260.00 tied up on a card that cannot be used. I went to the Green Dot site and registered the pre-paid Visa. All "seemingly" went well. I then proceeded to load the MoneyPak card onto the Green Dot Visa. It said that my information didn't match the information on file. All information was triple-checked by another set of eyes and found to be accurate.

When you call the 800 number at Green Dot, you speak to someone in the Philippines with a heavy accent and cultural issues regarding communication. This works out well for Green Dot, but not for the consumer. The Filipino rep advised me that my card was on the way. ON THE WAY? I have a card in my hand on which $20.00 is trapped. Furthermore, I have a piece of cardboard bearing the Green Dot logo, with $240.00 trapped on it. What's worse is, I have now input the number on the MoneyPak card into their system. This may indicate to MoneyPak that the funds have been used.

I have sent an email to MoneyPak, but they have two business days to respond. Two business days is an eternity in the cyberworld/internet. In the meantime, MoneyPak is making interest off the money they have stolen from me. I do consider separating you from your cash as stealing your money. The California Attorney General needs to do something about this. I am 85 years old and MoneyPak/Green Dot is a predator!!!

Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Hello Samad, Per our discussion, your issue has been resolved. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Original review: July 15, 2016

Upon receiving a email that my card was compromised they advised me to purchase another card and to go online and transfer the funds to new card (LIE #1). I called for 12 hours straight after being hung up multiple times by people who don't speak English correctly. Asked for supervisor multiple times and they said no one is available (LIE #2). The card they told me to buy was unable to receive funds due to the fact I needed the new replacement card to activate in order to transfer the funds which I was confused on to as why they told to buy in the first place and I will be able to transfer if they already knew that they would not allow me to transfer the fund there.

They are liars and full of **. They held my money. I have a 8 year old who needs to dropped off. Car is in shop. I work a hour away. No public transportation in my area, no food at home and my direct deposit is sitting there in the account and I have no way of getting any money for anything. They lied to me numerous times about transferring the money. Hung up on me multiple times. They aren't customer friendly at all and can't speak a lick of English whatsoever. I wish there was a way I can get a class action lawsuit against them. I would for the lies they tell about atm fees they claim are free that truly aren't free that they smack me with every day. There need to be some sort of action taken against these crooks.

I've had my Green Dot Prepaid Card for a long time now and I loved it, but they recently sent me a customized one with my name on it. I tried activating it through the computer and through phone and it kept saying my social security number was wrong! You can't even talk to a real person without giving them your social security number! They stole my money! That's not fair at all!

We had Social Security Benefits direct deposited to the Green Dot card for several years without a problem. Each time the card expired, a new one was issued until April 2016. This time when the card expired, they did not issue a new card and did not notify us that the account was being closed. We found out after calling when we did not get the new card. We also found out that some back pay from Social Security to the tune of close to $5k was deposited to that account and accepted well after the account had been closed. We have called and requested to get the money back and were told that the only way to get the money is for them to issue a refund check and send it via standard postal service, no tracking number and cannot be expedited. We were told to wait for two weeks and then call them back if we do not receive the refund check in the mail.

This has happened three times now, three refund checks have been requested and three checks never showed up. Each time, we are told that this is the ONLY solution they have. This is the money we live on and we are in dire need of getting access to it. Each time we call, they apologize for the inconvenience, verify that they have the correct address and request another refund check.

They refuse to reopen the account, issue a new card and transfer the funds or direct deposit the funds to our personal account. They offer no proof of the check being cut, no proof of it being mailed and cannot explain what has happened to any of the checks they "sent". They also cannot explain why they accepted two deposits on a closed account instead of refusing them. Customer service is absolutely useless and infuriating as all they can do is offer the same "resolution" that actually resolves absolutely nothing. We will never use Green Dot again and will be sure that everyone we know will never use them. BOYCOTT GREEN DOT, THEY ARE THIEVES!

We purchased a $35 gift card from Walgreens for a Mother's Day gift for my grandmother. She went to register the card, and they asked for her social! I told Grandma "maybe you're not dialing the right number?" It's just a gift card! Sure enough, it's now July and I have yet to be able to use this gift card myself after replacing the money for her to get her nails done! I'm furious! I don't care if it's $5 or $100 it's my money! And they have stolen it!

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

The company was founded in 2004 as Green Dot, with a history dating back to 1999 as I-GEN. This company has issued more than two million cards in a single year. The company offers prepaid Visas and MasterCards. The company’s products are sold online and at tens of thousands of major retail locations in the U.S. Green Dot also provides debit cards tied to bank accounts.

• Types of Green Dot cards: The Green Dot cards include prepaid MasterCard, prepaid Visa, cash back Visa debit card and Green Dot cards received from a tax preparer.
  • Ways to add money: There are many ways to add money to the Green Dot card, including direct deposit, at a retail store, check loading at Walmart, fund transfer from a bank account and fund transfer between Green Dot cards.
  • Check writing privileges: Cardholders can write checks using the funds from their Green Dot cards.
  • Direct deposit options: Consumers may direct deposit paychecks, Social Security, Veterans Compensation and Pension, Supplemental Security Income and Federal Civil Service retirement annuity payments.
  • Fees and questions: All fees are explained on the Green Dot FAQ help page. Information about each type of card and fees are clearly explained.
  • Cash back card: The new Green dot cash back Visa debit card offers five percent cash back on all purchases up to $100 annually.
  • Wide retailer network: Consumers can reload the Green Dot prepaid card at any one of the thousands of retail locations, making it flexible and convenient.
  • Easy deposit: Consumers can deposit their checks with the photo app on their phone.
  • Best for Those who tend to overdraw their accounts and those looking for multiple prepaid card options.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Profile