3.36/5
Based on 1,229 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 1999, Green Dot Corporation created the prepaid debit card industry and is largest provider of reloadable prepaid debit cards and cash reload processing services in the United States.

A Green Dot debit card is hassle-free and allows you to have more control over your money. Green Dot will never ask for a credit check or a minimum balance to activate your card. The Green Dot Cash Back Visa Debit Card helps you put money back into your pocket by offering 5% cashback on all purchases and offers a free direct deposit option. Download our Green Dot App today or call to learn more!

Green Dot Gallery (3)
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

4211 Green Dot Prepaid Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have Green Dot Prepaid. I had to switch banks because my bank moved and right now I really don't have a car to get there. My money has to be direct deposit so I bought Green Dot. Well I'm not having really any problems with mine except my money is going in that card. I should be able to shop where ever I went right wrong. I use to love shopping with a company called AliExpress and wish I'm on a fixed income and can't afford high prices. Well I can't buy nothing from them because they're not in USA. The card will only let you buy from USA so I'm stuck buying used stuff on the sites.

I have no transportation, disabled and no local busying. The other thing is I got my husband's card offline. He does not have a PIN number. I call customer service several times. They tell me to go to Greendot.com. I have done that and nothing so my husband has to do credit all the time and can't get the money off his card without a PIN and I don't understand why customer service can't just give us a PIN number. Can you help please.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

After following all the instructions, GIVING MY social security number, PICS FRONT AND BACK OF MY DRIVERS LICENSE and confirming my card was acceptable to transfer funds from a money pack card to my card, I received message saying I would hear that my identification was confirmed within 30 minutes. After several attempts on multiple days to transfer the money, they have failed to contact me regarding the verification process. No telephone number. No customer service. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I started using my Green Dot card which was issued by my university to receive our student refunds. I usually load at the register but decided to get a MoneyPak instead. I'd done it before years ago and things were fine. THIS time I attempt to load $400 the day before I have several automatic payments to be withdrawn and run into THE WORST verification process and customer service you can imagine.

After purchasing the MoneyPak, putting $400 on it at FoodLion (who doesn't have a load at register option), scratching off to reveal the number, creating an account, entering the MoneyPak#, entering the number of the card I needed funds transferred to, entering all of my most personal info including Social Security#, receiving a text message telling me to reply YES to verify it's really my mobile number, taking pics of the front and back of my ID, uploading my ID... I GET A SCREEN WITH A MESSAGE SAYING I'LL "BE CONTACTED WITHIN 2 BUSINESS DAYS."

EXCUSE ME? My bills are due now. I want access to my money now. And it is completely unethical and fraudulent not to make it CLEAR that there is a possibility a consumer's funds MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE TO US until after the completion of some BOGUS verification process. Why bogus? Because if GreenDot/MoneyPak can't verify that I am who I say I am after I provide my full name, phone number, address, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER AND PICTURES OF MY DRIVERS LICENSE, then the verification process is indeed bogus. However my hard earned $400 is not.

So I attempt to call customer service. Hmmm, no number on the card. Google, ok here's a number. But I can only speak to someone after entering my card number. Ok here it is, but it was issued by my university so, will this work? NO. I guess not that GreenDot card number. Entered my Social and Birth date - doesn't recognize me. Fine because all I want is to speak to a Customer Service Rep to inquire how to either get my $400 on my card asap or refunded to me (and no not within 2 weeks) - I owe my creditors NOW. But I never get a live person. Just an endless automated recording loop until I'm disconnected after being told I can only be helped by providing information that apparently doesn't exist.

ONLY THEN did I start reading the reviews to see if others were being burned by this company so badly. And how I wish I had read the reviews FIRST. Apparently inviting people to purchase MoneyPaks with their slogan "The Fast and Easy Way to Reload a Prepaid Card," then making consumers jump through hoops providing all of our sensitive information and handing over our money only to realize it is a "Slow and Unnecessarily Complicated Way to Have Your Money Tied Up with Whereabouts Unknown with No Possible Way to Speak with a Live Person" is their common practice.

I highly recommend anyone use any other way to reload their card other than MoneyPak. Perhaps avoid GreenDot altogether. I will post an update if and when my $400 is made available to me. Until then I am interested in exploring options of how to hold a company accountable for false advertisement (i.e. Fast and Easy), how to ensure the requirements of their verification process are made clear BEFORE a consumer makes their purchase, and to combat violation of consumer rights to have as much detail possible about a product - especially a financial product - so that we can make informed decisions.

They should be ashamed. And held accountable. I can only imagine the harm this has done to people trying to feed their children and pay bills. This is a serious issue that must be resolved. Not just for me, but to keep others from being affected by the fraudulent practices (by way of omission of much needed information for consumers to make informed purchases) of GreenDot/MoneyPak. Oh yes. I want an attorney to contact me about my complaint. Especially if they can claim I didn't pass the verification process then think they can keep my $400 because "all sales are final." I think not.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I had a credit out back on my card without my knowledge. My card was stolen and by the time I realized the money was there, it was already gone. PA State Attorney General's office notified. They are waiting with me for an update as Green Dot falsified documents to them. They decided to wait two weeks to do anything and it takes another two weeks for an answer. They have until tomorrow at the latest to put my stolen money on my card now that they finally have the correct cell phone number for me. If I don't have it today or tomorrow, charges get filed on Friday. The FDIC has been notified, the Federal Trade Commission and the BBB. They are all waiting for an update from me and if nothing resolved, lawsuit will start immediately.

My husband just had an amputation a few days ago. I've been waiting on that money for months. What they will pay in a lawsuit will be a lot more than what they owe me of a little over $1000. I guess they'd rather pay thousands to me and court cost. I'm going to be a whistleblower and have them shut down. There are now 77 people in my state that I know of and possibly more that want a class action lawsuit. I'm waiting for final approval for that. Steer clear of this fraudulent company. I will keep Checking today and tomorrow for my money or see you in court. I have the law in my side now.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

I was a long time customer of Green Dot until today. I've used this card for years to receive a direct deposit from my job. A couple of weeks ago, I misplaced the card and called to report it lost along with a charge dispute about a week ago. This past Friday, the new card came to me through FedEx. When I tried to activate it, I noticed that it was blocked. I called the customer service number and I could not get through, the automated service told me to go to greendot.com/documentupload to upload my driver's license. So I did. The next day, I got a message that my document was not clear. So I re-uploaded. Then I called them through the back number that you would use to report the card lost. I was told that my account would be closed once I spent down my balance and that I could never be a Green Dot customer again. I did nothing wrong. This company is trash. Take your money and run!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have been a Wal-Mart MoneyCard holder for over five years. I am a disabled veteran and my disability checks are direct deposited in to my account every month. A few days ago, I noticed two PayPal charges on my account that I did not make. I immediately called PayPal (I don't have a PayPal account) and they put in immediate claims. I called Wal-Mart Money Card canceled my card and had another card expedited to me (which they charged me $15 to do). I then disputed the claims with Wal-Mart both on the phone and online. Wal-Mart locked the account and said it was their "policy" to be sure the account was secured. They told me that it would be five calendar days to wait for an outcome of their investigation.

I cannot access my funds for five calendar days! Why would I pay to have a card expedited to not be able to use it? And not having access to my funds? Every time I contact the company I get a different person telling me a different thing and none of what I'm being told makes any sense! Locking my account when there is no physical bank to access my funds is ludicrous! I have bills that need to be paid this week. I fully expected more from Wal-Mart.

Hello Michael,

It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today. We’re glad that we were able to resolve the concerns that you shared. We value your feedback, and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to make things right. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I received a replacement Green Dot yesterday in the mail. Lo and behold my card was locked! I had to submit a form of identification online and I have to wait two days before I can find out if I can register my card. Customer service is the worse.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Very upset. Purchased a Green Dot card. Had $180 on it. Got home and activated it to be told it couldn't be used. They told me they would refund me a check and I would receive in 2 weeks. Never got it. Called back and they said sent to wrong address and they would cancel check that was already sent out and reissue new check. I would receive it in 2 more weeks. I have yet to receive it. This has been since December 2017. I have called many many times and only received automated service. I am to the point I am going to report them to The Better Business Bureau and whoever else that will listen to me. It's obvious by the reviews I am reading I am not the first. To me this is STEALING!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased my card several days ago now almost a week. I needed it to put money on an account so my husband could speak to his child who had just had surgery. I waited for a while after loading $23.00 on the card at purchase.THE MONEY NEVER DEPOSITED UNTO THE CARD! I've been spent over an hour on the phone with a customer service representative that drove me nuts to create a case number tell me they look into it and I should have my money within 24 hours. Doesn't help my situation. After 24 hours the money still has not deposited onto my card. I called back they told me just monitor my account 72 hours after the money never went on to my card. I called back and they said they now have my card blocked for suspicious activity!!! How do you have suspicious activity on a card that never had the initial deposit to begin with? I still haven't received my money!!!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Upon attempting to register my card I was informed that the numbers on the card were not recognized and the card has a zero balance. I HAVE $370 on this card and I can't pay my bills... And I cannot get ANYONE on the phone. I HAVE SENT MULTIPLE EMAILS AND NO REPLY.

Hello Damon,

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I bought this and they said I couldn’t use it, send me a check, no check. No way to call for help so I was robbed. I emailed them and said it’s in mail. That was in Oct. Almost gave up but not fair. ROBBERY.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I’ve been unable to receive a card from Green Dot for 2 months now and now all I need to do is have them transfer monies from the account. I have not received a card for to the card that I went and got from Walmart. I reordered a card on 1/28/18 and was told it would be 7 business days to receive the card, card was mailed 1/29/18 and as of 2/11/18 still no card. But there is a block on the card now which I had sent them via email photos of my ID and have given them all of the info I have on the card I haven’t received which has my monies on it since 1/19/18 and they put a block in said card. Since they put the block on the card and cannot transfer the funds to my other account as of now. But when the block is lifted they can only transfer $300 of the almost $3000 in the account to the card I have and all I get told on the phone is it’s going to take another 24 to 48 hours before anything can be done.

They don’t even have a customer service representative working on weekends to handle such problems. If I were a corporation of this size I would have someone available 24/7, and then it’s going to take another 7 business days to get another card mailed to me after I have to call them back again, what gives it’s their mess up and now because of it my bills are not paid. My power is shut off. While they collect interest on my unusable funds while I suffer the consequences of their actions!!!

Hi Larry,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to have someone look into your account and discuss the concerns that you’ve shared. We'll be in touch with you through the number provided to us by Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I've been using Green Dot for a very long time and I'm wanting to get my tax refund on my Green Dot Prepaid Card but after reading all the negative reviews I'm very scared my account will get locked and I won't have access to MY MONEY and my money will be lost or taken from me. Corporate please respond to clear this fear I have of this and get these locking people out of their OWN ACCOUNTS from their MONEY issue resolved. This is totally unacceptable and is wrong in so many ways!!! Get it together GREEN DOT!!! I have never had ANY issues so far. Only positive things to say. Just scared to do my tax refund in fear of getting locked out my account and losing my money I worked very hard for and earned.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Green Dot blocked my account Thursday night on the same day I got paid. I have not reported any unwanted activity or anything. I am totally frustrated with them. I asked them to remove the block and they keep saying 24-48 hours, absolutely no help at all.

Hello Betsy,

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I have had a Green Dot Prepaid Card for several years and I have replaced lost cards before with no problem. I reported my card lost February 7 but on February 9 I got an email that said suspicious activity and my card was blocked and I could upload my ID. When I tried to upload my ID it says card not found. I guess because the card is blocked. I tried calling but couldn't get past the recording without a valid card number but it says I have 2 cards on file. I let my dad call using his card number and I got through but they say my direct deposit will be sent back until I send my ID. How is there suspicious activity on a card that was reported lost. I really need this handled like ASAP, before my money is lost in limbo and I can't pay my bills.

Hi Danielle,

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I bought a Visa prepaid card and put $50 on it. When I tried to register it online or by phone it wouldn't register. I got no other options online or phone to resolve the problem. This seems to be quite a scam.

Hi Lisa,

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

This a long one but Green Dot really put me through the ringer. On 2/1, I received a GD card loaded with $50 for my birthday from my sister. I attempted to register it online by scanning the front and back of my Florida license with my iPhone. Both sides passed and everything appeared to work seamlessly. However, when I logged in the next day I was given a message that my submissions were illegible and I would need to submit them again. I have an old iPhone 4 so I figured the resolution probably wasn't high enough.

So this time I used my brand new HP printer that had been used about five times. I ran into problems right away as sometimes the front would pass but then the back would fail. Then the back would pass but the front would fail. I kept trying because it wouldn't allow me to proceed until both sides passed. After roughly five attempts, it ultimately returned me to the log in screen where I was given the following message: "We were unable to verify your identity. Your card has been cancelled and you will be unable to open any future accounts with this bank."

Of course, my jaw about fell into my lap as I was merely following their instructions to the letter. Why in the world would I suddenly be locked out and cancelled? So I immediately called their customer service line but when I did so I received the same message (in automated form) and my call was disconnected. Green Dot would not allow me to speak with a customer service agent. Undeterred, I called back under my wife's information in order to get through to an agent and hopefully get some answers.

After explaining what happened, the agent put me on hold for roughly five minutes, came back, apologized, and informed me that an "account specialist" would have to handle my case. Again, I was put on hold while some wonderfully distorted music was piped in. Finally the music stopped, I heard about a minute of silence, and then I was dumped into their survey queue! I kid you not - their customer service is deplorable. So I called back, went through the same routine with my wife's information in order to get to an agent because, at this point, I guess I'm persona non grata with Green Dot and they won't even give me the courtesy of speaking with me when my only crime was following their instructions to the letter in submitting my documents for verification until the system ultimately crapped out and then permanently locked me out in the process.

Using my wife's information again, I finally got an agent that advised me that she had opened a case regarding my problem and that a corporate manager would be calling me shortly to explain the problem and if a resolution was possible. Of course, no one ever called and when I contacted them to inquire as to why I never heard from the "corporate manager" I was told that he or she was given an invalid number for contact yet, after verifying the number they had on file, it was determined that it was the exact same phone number I was speaking with the agent over. Nice try Green Dot. To add insult to injury, the next day I got a personalized card in the mail but was given the same message when I called to activate it.

My next step was to take pictures of the front and back of my valid Florida driver's license, my Government issued VA Identification card, and a valid credit card I have with Capital One. I then wrote a courteously written but detailed letter describing the experience I had trying to register my card and sent it certified mail to their Pasadena Headquarters on Monday. I checked my tracking number and they received it at 8:30 am Thursday morning 2/8/18.

I called Friday afternoon (2/09/18) and was told by one of their representatives that my ID still didn't pass their verification process and they would be unable to reactivate the cancelled card or send me a new one. When I asked about the $50.00 that was used to load the card and she said she was very sorry but that money stays with the card and I would not be able to access that either - at any time in the form of a new card or a check from their corporate office. In other words, Green Dot can apparently just tell you your identification didn't pass their verification process and then keep whatever money you sent them. I'm not an attorney but this sounds very close to fraud.

If you don't want to send me a card, that's fine, but under no circumstances should the company be allowed to profit simply because they didn't like my driver's license photo or their software was unable to discern the difference between a valid Florida driver's license and a paper bag. Either way, a new card is in order or a refund of the original $50 load. At this point, I really don't care either way as their customer service is so dreadful and their policies so unfair and discourteous to their customers I'm sure I'd not want one at this point.

Originally, I had planned on having my paycheck deposited to my card, The way I've been treated and the prospect of dealing with these apathetic, discourteous and clueless agents has changed my mind considerably. At this point, I think I just want my original $50 load back. I have a prepaid with Chase Bank, PNC, and a checking account with full privileges at HSBC. There were some feature that attracted me to the card but I don't need this headache. Life is stressful enough.

So my question is what can be done to resolve this situation? I think it's outrageous that Green Dot doesn't allow people they've decided not to do business with for whatever reason access to their agents so the person can be told why. It's downright criminal that they should be able to keep one dime of money that was loaded on to their financial instrument as a gift for another person.

In summation, I sent Green Dot three forms of valid identification and I would like the card they cancelled for no valid reason replaced with an active one (in other words their product) that will allow me to access the gift my sister sent me for my birthday or a check for the original load of $50 and the $4.95 this company had the nerve to charge for this ridiculous fraudulent product

If this is not something the company is willing to do, I would like a call from a corporate manager. And a real call this time - not just notes on my account indicating someone tried when they really didn't as my phone has been glued to my hip all week waiting for this call and I've been at my work phone at all other times so no attempt to call me was ever made. In any event, during this call, I would like Green Dot's manager to explain to me why issuing me a new card would not be a viable solution to this problem and the disposition of the remaining balance if it is not.

It's a simple request. Either replace the card that was purchased in good faith and you are now refusing to honor or return the money you accepted to load on to it for my use. You can't have it both ways. Either replace your product with the full amount loaded and ready for us or issue you a full refund. I would suggest you consider my request very carefully as I've been doing a lot of research on this issue and your company pulls this stunt in it would be customers quite frequently. The net is full of complaints of people in the exact situation I'm in. I have a relative and a good friend that are known as "pitbull" lawyers. Your company is setting itself up for a class action suit and I know just the pair that would love to take you on. I challenge you to call my bluff.

Hello Brad,

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I purchased a Green Dot prepaid MasterCard on Tuesday Feb 6th. I loaded the card with $130.00 plus paid the fees and price for the card. I sent in the documents for the card and was told several times documents were not received. I was finally inform the documents were received. I called the number on the card unable to speak with a live person the recording states card unable to be used and unable to purchase another card. Located the Green Dot on Facebook. Spoke with a live person they are saying they can not issue me another card or refund me my money. I am out of $150 cash money and unable to use the Green Dot card. I need help with getting my money refunded back to me ASAP. Escalated to supervisor with Green Dot still not help very rude and not helpful. I never used the card.

Hello Charlie,

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I recently was targeted by a scam artist. Long story short - he claimed he was a sheriff's deputy and demanded I pay my fines with Green Dot MoneyPak cards. I caught onto the scam before he got my money. Now I am trying to transfer my money back to my account, and I am getting a complete runaround from Green Dot. I was on hold for 30 minutes waiting for a supervisor before they hung up.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I reported my card lost at least 8 weeks ago. As I had direct deposit to this card there is a substantial amount of money on there, thousands of dollars. I was told my account would be closed and a check with my balance would be mailed to me. I have yet to receive it. Without this money I am struggling to survive. I contacted customer service and got no help, just a "it's being processed". I would like to continue using Green Dot but need to know when I will receive my check. Worst customer service ever. Green Dot please help.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

I purchased a Green Dot debit card at CVS and loaded $120 on to it on 2/8/18. I have my receipt. I called to activate my card and when I put in the card number and 3 digit security code in a recording told me that I can only activate it online. I went online one time and a message on the screen told me I have exceeded the amount of time I tried to activate card. I tried once. I have to wait 24 hours to try again. I only tried once. I tried calling to get help but I can't enter information in to get to a person. I AM OUT $120. I'M POOR. I NEED THIS MONEY TO PAY A BILL ONLINE. HELP. PLEASE CALL ME.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I did my taxes on TurboTax and this year they used Green Dot. Well my refund has been deposited somewhere because I've never received my card. When you try to call it's all automated and you CANNOT get a live person. So back to the automated nightmare they ask for a Ssn number then they ask for a zip code. I put all that in fine then I'm asked for my Birth date so I put my Birth date in and it's an invalid response. Now I'm pretty sure I know when my Birthday is and if you CANNOT EVER reach anyone to talk to live. I don't think it's the financial institution I want to use. So I will be pulling my entire refund out as soon as possible and going to a real bank and I will never use them again. Plus judging by the amount of complaints about them keeping people’s money. I can almost see a class action lawsuit in their future and I would rather miss that.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I purchased my first prepaid card to make an online purchase on a website that I wasn't sure was legit (I didn't want to put my debit or credit card number on it for my safety). When I registered online, Green Dot was "unable to verify my identity". They blocked the card so that it could only be used at POS until they verified my identity. The following day I sent in a copy of my drivers license. I have never had any issues with my identity so didn't think anything of it. When I called the next day, the automated system told me that my card was closed and I wouldn't be able to use the bank again. Then the automated system disconnected the call.

I have tried calling every number I could find online for Green Dot every day since this has happened but haven't been able to speak to a live person. They still have my money and I have no way of getting it back as of today. I will continue to complain on any website I can because of this. I am very lucky that I only put $160 on the card and not more. I have read reviews where they have done similar things to people for more money.

There should be absolutely no issues with verifying my identity and it definitely should not be this difficult to contact someone. That is not the point though - the point is that the company has kept money that does not belong to them with no intentions of returning it (they do not have my address nor have they contacted me to find out how to get the money back to me.) I understand that my complaint does nothing to the company's financial standings or reputation but I do hope that if you read this and are considering getting a prepaid card that you will select another card issuer. This seems to be an ongoing issue with Green Dot.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I tried to access my account on my mobile phone as usual. It would not take my username and password. Changed the password after submitting information. Would not accept new password. Unable to reach anyone after contacting by phone just to make sure my account was not compromised. Made transactions as usual, but later in day, account information by mobile and laptop still is inaccessible. I tried several more times to contact my card by phone and cannot get a person now, either. I have never had this issue before with my account and I find it disturbing that I cannot contact a person directly about my account.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I can only hope that what I’ve experienced within Green Dot debit card customer service dept is truly NOT a reflection of what their customers deserve, however, it’s certainly been disappointing. I also hope their widespread disingenuous attempt to appear to care while ripping their customers off at every opportunity will be reflected in their bottom line as well. At some point using poorly trained inept customer service rep clueless of their own products and services has got to impact them in a way that really counts. What a disappointment!

The supervising representative actually ended by saying, “there’s nothing for free, ma’am, when I was disputing their overcharges from their “FREE” and un-requested debit card that they told me would qualify me for a fee waiver with my monthly direct deposit amount, yet charged me $29.85 over 3 months then only offered a 1 month refund. As if it was only my fault they couldn’t help me access my account for 3 months. Bravo, you crooks, bravo! You must be striving to be the envy of every morally ambiguous company coming up on your heels.

Hi Yvonne,

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I am very disappointed in this company. I called on Jan. 25th to order a replacement debit card. I was told I would receive new card on first. It is now Feb 6th and I've still not received my card. I've gotten no real reason why they cannot tell me where my card is. And every time I have called since the 1st I have been told I would receive it tomorrow. I have a family of 5 and my entire paycheck is on this card and I can't do anything. I get excuses and put on hold. No one has answers. I've asked for one to be overnighted to me but they keep avoiding that. I need a card now. But they don't seem to want to try to help me.

Hi Ashley,

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I was in route to a worksite an hour from the office. Green Dot card hacked for $360.00 at an atm. I never use an atm. Filed a dispute and now no one takes my calls. Filing a huge lawsuit on Green Dot. I will be sure to have this as topic at my job which is a local news station in downtown Chicago. Green Dot debit is a huge fraud!!! I want my money back!!!

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Been customer since 2012, had to cancel a card due to fraudulent card activity. Ordered another card... while account was frozen even after new card arrived. I submitted the documents needed to verify identity multiple times to Green Dot, but no one will unfreeze my account that I had my paycheck direct deposited on. I can’t pay bills or feed my kids. When I try to call customer service, I cannot reach real person!!! I am very angered and disappointed. Poor customer service... if you can even call it customer service!!!

Hi Amy,

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I went to First Merchants Bank on 01/30/2018. I tried to take 360 off my card. Money didn’t come out of atm. I called Green Dot and file a claim. I sent the email and still haven’t heard anything from Green Dot. I’m pretty sure they should have atm transition it video. I really need my money. This is sad. I just started my direct deposit. Might have to cancel!!!

Hi Mariah,

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

The reason for my review is because I have been a victim of fraud and theft by this company. On January 17th I went to load money on my Green Dot Prepaid Card at my neighborhood Walgreens. The cashier informed me that I had to load the money on a "MoneyPak" card and then I can move that money to the card online (not sure why this step exists in the first place) but I followed the directive. Once I get home I discover that the MoneyPak has a silver bar in the back that I have to scratch off to reveal the numbers to enter on the online app that will allow me to move the money from the MoneyPak to my Green Dot Prepaid Card.

Well, this is where it went wrong, unlike a lottery card where the silver scratch off comes off with ease, when I attempted to scratch off the silver bar on the MoneyPak, the first 5 numbers came with it! (After researching online, I see that this is a common issue with the MoneyPak which makes me feel like this is a big scam!). Anyway, So I viewed the help section on the MoneyPak website of what to do in this situation. After realizing that there was no live person that I could speak with, I complied with the online form for a refund submitting all requested information and I also sent an email to the rr@greendot.com address that was provided and to customer.advocacy@greendot.com both on the 16th and 17th of January and to this day February 5th I have received no response from either department.

After reviewing several websites about issues with this company I found out that not only was I not alone in this experience but also how to get a live voice. I finally was able to get a live person from Green Dot going through their lost card prompt. I have been told after creating another claim with a call center representative that there was no phone in the department that handled refunds for me to communicate with the department directly and that no one could manually move the money to my card and furthermore that it would take 2 weeks for me to receive a refund check (Jan 18th - Jan 31st).

Wow! So there are a lot of concerns and red flags here but my biggest question, because all I want is my money back, is where in this country does it take 2 weeks to receive something via mail? I am in the same country as the headquarters. Every question I had about the refund protocol, how to verify if a check was actually sent out (a check number or tracking number something) each representative that I spoke to (including the "Supervisor") gave me the same scripted responses over and over.

Fast forward, Jan 31st no check, Feb 2nd no check so I call. The representative told me the only thing they can do is cancel the check and resend another one but that would be another 2 weeks!!! At this point I am livid and I feel so taken advantage of. I explained to the representative that this was $500 of MY money that their company has taken from me and has not returned. This money was for my electric bill for my home in which I have 3 children. I was able to get an extension from my electric company based on the ridiculous timeline that they gave me in the beginning (I would receive by Jan 31st) but now I am in jeopardy of my power being cut off.

I asked again, could they simply move the money to my card through their system, they have received all receipts and required proof. Not to mention it's 2018 I am sure that they can track my transaction in their system. And I was told no they can only cancel the "ghost check" and resend another but it would take 2 weeks. So now I am a month out in having access to my money that I entrusted to this company to be able to access immediately. Something that was suppose to be a consumer convenience and simple has turned into a stressful and difficult process. Right is right, just do the right thing!

I am questioning the authenticity, integrity, and validity of this company and am filing a formal complaint. I feel scammed and robbed of my $500 and would like reciprocity immediately. I didn't want to go to any further financial inconvenience however, I feel like I have no choice but to seek legal counsel in which not only will I have to sue for my $500, but the late fee associated with my electric company and any further damages that this lack of client level service has created. I feel abused and all I wanted was fair and just return of my hard earned money. I highly encourage every consumer to steer clear of this company, they are thieves.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Information

www.greendot.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use