Find a Prepaid Cards partner

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

About Green Dot Prepaid Cards

Green Dot Prepaid Cards are a convenient money-management solution for consumers looking for help sticking to their budget. Unlike a traditional credit card, Green Dot’s prepaid cards do not let you use more money than is on the card.

Pros

• No overdraft fees
  • Use anywhere that accepts Visa
  • Free deposits and retailer withdrawals

Cons

• $2,500 card maximum
  • Various added fees

Bottom Line

With free deposits, transfers and withdrawals from retailers, Green Dot cards are a versatile financial option accepted at many places. But with many hidden fees and a $2,500 maximum, it’s not a one-size-fits-all solution.

See suggested offers from our Partners

Great Prepaid Debit Cards We Recommend

Learn more

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot Prepaid Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Green Dot?

Original review: July 13, 2021

There was an charge made to a company I don't even know. On both days I was home and they denied any reimbursement. 2 payments within a week and half for 86.61$$. 2 times whole on both occurrences I was home but Green Dot denied them. Not only that my points for the last 8 months haven't occurred after reaching the 100.00 mark either the supervisor couldn't even answer. Why??? They stink!! So if ya wanna lose money and pay 3.50 every time at an atm and don't want your points after 100.00$ Mark And get fees constantly then it's for you.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I have a Green Dot GO2 debit card and went to an authorized 7-11 and deposited $100. It never showed up in my account. So I called Green Dot and let's review what happened. Call #1 Verified my SS, Address, Phone #, DOB, explained what happened, and the person "Bob" said "I'll transfer you to dispute" then I hear a busy signal - wasted 15 minutes.

Call #2 Nice girl, had trouble speaking English, never got her name. Went through the same verification process with her and I told her to send me to dispute because that's where they sent me last time but then I got a busy signal. She stayed on the line for an hour while we waited for the Dispute dept to pick up. She tried to put in a ticket but said my card was "Invalid" despite her seeing nothing wrong with the card and Green Dot just took out their maintenance fees a few days earlier. FINALLY, after 55 minutes the Dispute dept picks up, and we go through the ENTIRE verification process again.

After spending another 15-minutes explaining my problem they tried to put in a ticket which I told them won't work because NOW there is something wrong with my card. But nevertheless, this guy, who can't speak English either, (I'm Not Racist LOL) spends another 10 minutes taking down all the info from my receipt then says "Oh the dispute Dept can't do anything...we don't deal with lost transactions, you'll have to talk to Customer services..." So he transfers me. A girl picks up and I say, "I WANT TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR.' She puts the phone down and I can hear her breathing but she won't say anything. After me saying "HELLOOO" for 15 minutes suddenly I get a busy signal.

Call #3 I tell the operator, "Please transfer me to customer services because I just wasted 2 hours with the dispute department" and they said I must speak with Customer service and the girl was like ???. Then after 10 minutes suddenly I get a busy signal. Call #4 person who can hardly speak English answers. I say "You people have already wasted 3 hours of mine, I WANT TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR," She says, "Fine," a few minutes later a supposed supervisor gets on but I hear all the same background operator noise so basically she handed the phone to the person next to her.

Nevertheless, I go through the entire verification process all over again, and she starts taking down all the info to put in a ticket and after telling her she can't put in a ticket... TAA DAA she says the Ticket can't go through and to WRITE A LETTER and send it to GO2bank P.O. Box 5100 Pasadena, CA 91117. I tell her "NOW I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR," She hangs up...so another 30 minutes wasted. Call #5 same story, same verification process, I tell the person, "GIVE ME YOUR SUPERVISOR..." Sup gets on. We go through the entire verification AGAIN. After spending 11 minutes explaining the problem, giving him all the info on the receipt he says "GO2 can't resolve the problem." I have to go to the 7-11. So I respond "NOW I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR,".

ANOTHER guy who CAN'T SPEAK ENGLISH gets on and he says there is no one above him. He's the supreme supervisor...Of course, I laughed at him. I ask him what is his name and despite having a thick Indian accent he responds 'HECTOR'. I ask "Hector" what is his last name and he says "I can't give you that for security reasons" LOL. Anyway, we go through the whole verification process again. Clearly, he's reading off his step-by-step how to resolve a dispute when dealing with an insane American cue card. He starts asking me the EXACT...EXACT same questions to fill out a Ticket. So I ask him, "How are you going to file a ticket" when his computer is telling him that my debit card is invalid. He said he fixed the problem but when I asked what happened he said Due to security issues he can't tell me.

After a few moments, when he finally realizes his computer won't accept the ticket, he says "I sent the ticket but please send a copy of the receipt to this email address and explain the problem IN DETAIL about the who, what, when, and where of the transaction." In other words, all the info that he asked while filling out the ticket he said he sent in. Of course, he's lying about the ticket because why would I need to explain what happened IN DETAIL, if they had the ticket with all the same exact info? So I told him, "Have the person you're sending the Ticket to, send me an email and I will send the copy of my receipt. "Hector" then says and I quote "Please send a copy of the receipt to this email address and explain the problem in detail." I tell him "No, have whatever fictitious department you sent the ticket to, call me or email me because I'm not waiting days wondering if someone even OPENED THE GOD DAMN EMAIL!"

"Hector," says and I quote "Please send a copy of the receipt to this email address and explain the problem in detail." I respond, "Are you ** kidding me?" "Hector" says and I quote "Please send a copy of the receipt to this email address and explain the problem in detail." I said, "Is this a ** joke?" Hector cries "We don't tolerate abusive language" and hangs up.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I spoke with a Joey in the Green Dot dispute department. None of my transactions are showing for April 2, 2021. I went under my inbox of transactions. There were seven transactions done on that day. I am resending a letter for case# **, I need to correct my error of putting the wrong date. Instead of July 10, 2021 it should of been June 10, 2021. The transaction for Best Buy was ran on April 2, 2021 in the amount of $239.37. Look at the attachments.

I am disputing the transaction on June 10, 2021 from Best Buy. It was originally ran on April 2, 2021 in the amount of $239.37, Best Buy ran it a second time on June 10, 2021 for the exact same amount! All I want is my refund please, and Thank you. Hard to prove if the dispute department can't even see my transactions from April 2nd, they were deleted by whom?

I am a honest person of why my Lord & Savior had all my transactions under my inbox of transactions for me to see I was correct. And want your department to work with the dispute department to get my money refunded on my card Best Buy stole! I will send the letter on 06/29/2021 early in the morning. I have been getting the RUN AROUND from **. This literally is theft and I would not RECOMMEND ordering from Best Buy online let alone shopping in their store!

I would NEVER EVER do business with this crooked company EVER again in life! All the money this company makes and you're stealing people money. Keep credit cards on file to robbed people of their money! Some people probably don't even recognize. And they won't allow me to log into Facebook to leave a comment. But I'm going to find a way around that to get my voice heard that way or in small claims court! I'm going to sue for the amount $239.37 then some for pain and the suffering my so called Green Dot crooked bank through WalMart. I have already took all my funds out that account! This is FAR FROM OVER Green Dot/ Walmart Money Card & BestBuy. I am coming for my money!

Do not allow green dot to control your money in there so call bank. Not even in the United States. They customer service is no help; they hang up and disconnect calls! Beware. Remove your money. Go with a bank who care not put your though sooo much to get your money back that was clearly stolen out my account! Green dot delete transactions from your statement; little they know they still appear under your message history of transactions.. So unfair and mistreated by this so call bank! It's not over. I am going to sue you for more than $239.37 pain and suffering then some! People out here struggling and you allow best buy to steal my family money! I am going to post on every single thing until I get my money! Someone will contact me now it's public and the world can see your bank is crooks!

Original review: June 30, 2021

I received a fraudulent transaction on 6/13. I reported it at that moment, because I receive text alerts. It takes almost a month with several calls for me to get real help, as I was told it will take an additional 2 weeks to receive the funds on my card. My account has been locked and closed. I can no longer have an account due to the fraudulent transaction, that was made against my account. My direct deposit was sent back due to my account being closed. I've had no access to my money for over 2 weeks. I don't know how I'm getting by. I'm continuously being told to wait. First and last problem I'll ever have with this company. I refuse to go through this again.

Original review: June 21, 2021

They will lock your money up and slowly take each month. I called 3 times asking for the card to be unlocked, I Uninstalled/reinstalled it even showed unlocked but they wouldn't let me use the funds. This card needs a class action lawsuit. They play horrible games and take people's money. Total crooks.

Original review: June 16, 2021

I had a voided transaction, Green Dot held the money pending for 2 weeks, unacceptable. Calling them does no good, they will just give you the runaround. You can send money to people in a matter of minutes but green dot hold money for a week or more in pending. It's ridiculous.

Original review: June 9, 2021

This card was OKAY at first and even kind of liked it until I actually used it for a few things. For example, I TRIED to book a stay at a motel with Priceline, the stay I tried booking didn’t go through and the payment was literally immediately reversed but when I tried to book another hotel, it was completely declined. I noticed I had no money left on card so I called the bank. They said it wouldn’t be released for 10 days. I explained what happened and nobody would do anything. I asked for manager and they told me I would get the same result no matter what. I eventually got to Mr. ** {supposedly one of the head managers} and things got even worse.

After some very intense and unprofessional arguing, he allowed me to have Priceline write him an email stating I wasn’t being charged. Priceline and I called him back and had to go through the rude agents telling us that it won’t happen AGAIN. After 3 hours of back and forth, we got my money back. Thanks Jay from Priceline. Go2 tried their hardest to keep my money and don’t care about the customer at all. Don’t believe me? Give customer service a call or read other reviews on the same *manager*. I’ll stick to my chime or chase debit card from now on. I've had this happen before on their cards but the money was never held more than 2 minutes! Be very careful when using GO2bank.

Original review: May 26, 2021

I received my 2020 tax refunds on my Turbo tax card which happens to under the Green Dot Bank company. The same day that I received my refunds and went to a store to purchase some much needed food for my household my card said declined. So I went home and checked my account online and it says card blocked for suspicious activity which I knew right away was false because just moving from Houston to Jacksonville Florida I'd check my account every other day for it because I knew it was due that week. I called forever trying to get a live agent and when I did they're in the Philippines with a very bad connection and know nothing helpful. They told me to send them my ID copy to them to prove it's my account. I told them there's no suspicious activity in my account. Just me and that I was going to contact my new area congressman and told him about green dot and their card blocking people's refunds ( 4others in my apt complex) which I did.

He did contact me telling me he would look into it as people deserve their hard earned money from the government. I thanked him and that's it thanking maybe it would take forever but lo and behold the very next day(13 hrs later) I got and email from Green Dot Bank saying I could use my card for shopping and cash retrieval at ATM's but I could never order another card with them again. Which was just fine with me cause I will never ever do any kind of business with them ever again. I can't tell you how fast I ran to the store and got all my money off that card before they tried anything else crazy. But still it took probably a call from my area congressman to unblock my card and that's a shame to go that far but at the same time it did bring these crazy people to light and noticed by a government official which I hope can help others in this card funds holding dirty business they are doing on purpose.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I made a honest mistake and accidently mixed up my bank account numbers that was both on small card/paper for my bank and Green Dot's. On top of that, I didn't know where this card was at all, was trying to set up my new direct deposit from my job and realized once I didn't receive my first paycheck, that I messed up, put a stop to it, even requested a new card, which came with no funds on it. Contacted Green Dot customer service which was almost impossible at the time to get hold. Eventually did, after being hung up on, the phone had bad static which cut in and out. Could barely hear them.

Was placed on hold for it seemed like 15 minutes while dogs barked, kids cried and played loudly in the background, men talking. Eventually I was transferred to supervisors after at least calling 10 times daily and even my wife. The supervisor gave me info to forward to them, which I did but was told by them after they received it, that it was basically suspicious. It was my driver's license! I also sent this place a letter from myself requesting my money be returned to me. After that, was told to have my employer to try and retrieve my money which I done with no avail.

This all started in January. This is now May and I still have not received my money. Just contacted them again today. Spoke to another supervisor, which told me to again to send my ID through email which I done today. She asked that I wait 7 to 10 days, a check would be mailed to me, (I'll update you). They're withholding my hardworking money. I done everything they requested. I even asked if I could go to Wal-mart and prove my identity there but was told I could not. I just want the money I worked for.

Original review: May 12, 2021

I bought a card so I could have direct deposit and load money. So I put $20 on it when I bought it. I try to register it and I'm told I can get my $20 off but can't deposit money on it. Next morning they take $8 for monthly charge on a card that is useless to me. I call and they tell me until I order one with my name on it then I can't direct deposit. So I have a card that now I have to buy another one from another card company that knows how to treat customers. Don't use Green Dot.

Green Dot Prepaid Cards Company Information