Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Discover
3.61/5

Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

737 Discover Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 8, 2019

After 20 Years, Still My Favorite Card. I have had nothing but positive experiences with this company since I got my first card in the late 1990s. The rewards are by far the easiest to understand and redeem. They update your FICO score monthly on the website, and even have a page explaining it. Purchases are categorized to help with budgeting. The customer service is better than any other company I've dealt with; agents are knowledgeable and friendly. I recently had a disputed charge and it was resolved quickly and easily. I would gladly recommend Discover to anyone.

Original review: April 2, 2019

My Discover credit card is the best credit card I’ve ever owned. I opened my Discover account a little over two years ago. My only disappointment is that I didn’t apply for a Discover card sooner. I assumed that many merchants wouldn’t accept Discover. To my surprising in the two years I’ve run across two merchants that did not accept Discover. I’m able to use my Discover card with all my purchases.

I enjoy my cash back rewards, low interest rate, credit limit, refer credits, and most importantly the service I receive from their employees. Each time I had to call to speak to a representative I was greeted by a live person within a minute. Every person I spoke with was knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful. I recommend Discover credit card to everyone!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I called several times to find submit additional documents, were very helpful, everyone was different when I called but it was very easy for them to pick up where the other one left. Very professional and I obtained my loan in about 4 days!!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have owned many credit cards over the years to take advantage of 0% interest, discounts, etc. Discover is by far the best credit card company I have worked with. I've had the pleasure of utilizing them as my main credit card for over 10 years now. Their 5% cash back reward program is awesome and their superior customer service is next to none. I'm always connected to someone quickly who I can understand and who understands me. Credit disputes have always been resolved in a timely manner.

Most importantly, Discover notifies ME when they suspect fraudulent activity on my account. I keep a close eye on my account, but most recently, Discover reached out to me when someone had hacked into our Chipotle account and was racking up multiple transactions on our Discover card. Once I verified the activity was not ours, Discover immediately stopped any more transactions from hitting our account, closed our account, and issued new cards that were at our doorstep in two days.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Every single time I have called them they answer in under 2 minutes. They are very professional and helpful. I have switched to Discover for all my banking and have not had to pay any fees in years! Not to mention they have some of the highest interest rates on savings accounts and cash back on debit card purchases. They really go above and beyond for the customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: July 18, 2019

Over 5 years ago I closed my Discover card. I hit a low point and needed to be able to pay the account down. Life has turned around a bit, and I'm trying to buy a house. I've paid over $4000 in the last 3 years (25% of that being interest) and had $600 left to pay to get the account to zero so I could get my credit up to buy a house. Contacted "customer service" to see if they could write off the interest and I would pay $575. Not only did they deny me (I've never met a company that is so unwilling to work with its customers) but when I paid the balance on the account in full the card still showed $19 owed.

So back to "customer service" I've now been on the phone with them for over 30 min and been on hold for most of it as someone tries to figure out what happened. Last person I spoke with told me I could just pay it! Are you kidding me!?! I'll never have a Discover card again. I have Master, Capital One, and 2 lines of credit through my bank and have zero issues with them! Stay away! They don't care about retaining customers! They just want $$$.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I signed up for the cash-back checking because who doesn't want cash back? Also, only positive experiences with Discover credit. I switched my direct to this Bank, but of course it takes a few pay periods to kick in. The first of the month rolls around and I stupidly decide to write my rent check from my Discover account thinking that I could just easily deposit my paycheck. I go to deposit my check and getting message that most of the funds will be held for a week and a half. No thanks. So I deposited my check into my other checking account figuring that I could just transfer the money over to cover the checks. Well, I had no luck with that either. I couldn't register the account with PayPal. Couldn't register the card with Google pay. I called discover about this, and was told that the companies were trying to make withdrawals which were rejected by the bank because there was no money in the account.

Well, I guess PayPal was trying to authorize a dollar as some companies do to verify the account, which the Alsup refund. I also tried Zelle, they weren't registered with Zelle either. I tried Cash App also, thinking that I could just wire the money to a friend and have them Cash App it back to me. Guess what? Couldn't register the card with Cash App either! I called them to see what they would suggest, unfortunately they weren't able to offer me any suggestions. At the end of the day, I wound up depositing a personal check and I was excited to see that the check with post in a few days. However, I was told that the check will be held a week and a half. My rent check wind up being returned. Get this, after all was said and done I received a letter stating that a prolonged hold will be placed on the check because of "doubts of collectability." Well, the account will be closed because I doubt this is an account that can meet my banking needs. What an absolute headache! Needless to say, I got no cash back rewards from using this account, only late fees from not paying my rent on time.

Original review: July 11, 2019

This was my favorite card until I had to file a dispute regarding some charges- since I had called to report the error the day the charge appeared and again a week later plus emailed the company that charged me to tell them about the mischarge (I had been double charged for a product I did not order), then sent another email 4 days later to the company stating I would like my original order cancelled as well since I had heard no response from them about the mix up and that I wanted to cancel any subscription I might be signed up for (since it was a trial order)- I felt safe with the paper trail and my calling Discover that there would be no problem... I received more charges at much higher amounts over the next month and a half... altogether costing me nearly $400.

The company supplied them with "example" invoices and images of a product I never ordered or received so the charges were validated by Discover even though I sent documents, copies of my emails with no response, and had been calling Discover from the beginning and did all that they requested. I am paying off my balance this month and cancelling. I use a credit card for the protection against fraud and with Discover there is none.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Discover recently cancelled my card. This came out of nowhere and for no good reason. I have absolutely no lates on any credit in the last 10+ years. I've not defaulted on any loans. And though my income is down over the last year, I have been paying regularly. And my balance isn't anywhere near the limit. So there's no good reason for them to do this. And no one will tell me why they did it. Apparently it was a computerized review that determined it. The say they have no other information. I will never utilize any service associated with Discover ever again. They have earned an enemy for life!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Imagine my surprise and discontent. Called to use the pay by phone system, it used to take about 3 mins, hit a few buttons and done, did NOT have to talk to anyone, did not have to try to enunciate clearly, did not have to shout, and did not have to get patched through to an agent because the voice activated system is still learning!!!! So mad, because aside from have to repeat myself multiple times to a ** computer and hanging up and redialing, it still ended up patching me through to an infinite ignore, listen to music system. Whoever is selling these companies on voice activated bill pay is selling you all down-the-river, because consumers all hate it. Do you market research.

Discover used to be my favorite card, now they have added themselves to the list of more-trouble-than-they are worth. We just went back to cash being a simpler and less stressful way to pay or snail mail which I had stopped doing several years ago. But the idea of having to argue with a voice activated computer raises the blood pressure. Too many years of AT&T crap. Last phone I will ever buy will be AT&T and it is because of the customer service, voice activated, automated system that NEVER gets it right!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I've been a Discover card holder for over 10 years, never missed a payment, one late payment recently. So I knew my credit score was "Good". I went shopping for a new car, thinking that since Discover claimed my FICO score was 813, I would qualify for 3.5% interest. Boy, was I in for a shock. Banks don't use TransUnion scores to determine your interest rates. So this "wonderful" score from Discover did me no good.

Original review: May 17, 2019

11 year customer, 803 fico per Discover, $24,400 credit limit, account closed for lack of activity with a single snail-mail notice. No online messages, no emails, just a single paper correspondence which I apparently didn't read. "Unable to reopen, feel free to re-apply." Unbelievable!!

Original review: May 15, 2019

After being a card member for 6-7 years, never missing a payment, and just having my line of credit automatically increased, my account was closed with notice of an email. After calling, they mentioned that it was due to a mark on my credit report. This mark was made in error, the company provided a letter mentioning it was in error, it was reported to the credit bureau and in the process of being removed (but this is a long process, apparently), but Discover did nothing to notify or reach out before closing the account, regardless of history and years of membership.

When providing all the above information, they were unable to help or entertain the idea of reopening the account, said they wouldn't even when officially removed from my credit report, and that I would have to reapply, which they confirmed would be another hard inquiry and affect their answer. You would think that loyalty, on time payments, and no account issues for many years would mean something, but to Discover, it means nothing at all.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I recently became a customer with Discover credit card, but I am having horrible with their billing department customer service. I opened a dispute after purchased super-fake bag from one seller on eBay. After provided all the documents and evidence to help and support my dispute. However I received the notice that told me their decision was on seller favor and the credit was reapplied back to my account. I had to call them several times. Finally they admitted that maybe some mistakes and they will continue working on my dispute.

After talked to many different representatives from their billing department, few of them had extremely rude attitude, leak of knowledge of dispute progress. They DO NOT review detail of all documents before they made the decision. I do not how to review the documents but even I uploaded many documentation to show the charge was invalid. I do not recommend Discover to anyone. I HOPE THEY WOULD HAVE BETTER AND KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE TO REVIEW THE DISPUTE BEFORE MADE THEIR DECISION.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I was first approved by Discover for a secured credit card 2 weeks ago. Paid my deposit directly from my bank account then 3 days later told I needed to file an IRS form so they could get my income from the IRS. My banker said he would give me a secured card at US Bank. No problem. That's the reason for a security deposit. I've just been approved for a Capital One semi-secured card. They add an extra hundred dollars to whatever amount paid as deposit so it's a better deal anyways. Stay away from Discover Cards, as a merchant I WILL NEVER ACCEPT Discover card for their having played this game for 2 weeks now. Worse they sent me an email yesterday saying that they would determine if I was owed any funds back from my $300 deposit in 4 four months! Can you imagine waiting an additional 4 months? Fortunately, my US Bank is good at allowing filing of disputes even for account debits. I'll file a dispute today right away.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I got a letter in the mail stating I could get a Discover card with a 18% APR, they counter offered a 26% APR card after denying me and dinging my credit with a hard inquiry because I didn't want their terrible interest rate.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have been with Discover for 32 years but I can't get a statement from them in 2 years. Also I can use their credit card but on my Credit Report it shows this account is closed. I need this Credit History for my Credit score. Otherwise it shows I don't have a Credit History. I've got a Capital One card & love it. Discover keeps giving me the runaround saying they are sending out a statement but we never receive it. They say it's a computer glitch. Why they can't notify the credit bureau the account is open? Well maybe you need different people in your technical dept. Why can't they pick up the phone & call instead of letting a computer feed the information.

Original review: April 30, 2019

So these guys just emptied my banking account. I didn’t even know about any wage garnishment orders. I’m not even on the credit card, my husband is! We have 3 small children and went through a difficult time after the third and was unable to pay so the account became delinquent. My husband tried to negotiate an amount we could afford but they refused and took us to court. We next received a court date, the next thing we know is we got a notice that he did not show up to the court date so they basically win by default. We are people that pay everything on time and I budget like no one’s business. I just got paid a few days ago... waiting on about 10 bills to come out then all of a sudden our account is at $0 with no explanation online so I call my bank. I have no idea what’s going on. It was my husband that said, “maybe it is Discover”.

There was no negotiation, it was “pay what we want when we want it or we’ll take all your money no matter who you are or how hard you work or how much you need it”. Instead of going for the wages where they can only take 25%, they take our entire income for two weeks in one swoop. HOW IS THIS LEGAL!!?? How will we eat and feed our children? How will we pay our bills? How will we keep the lights and water on? Are we going to lose our house? How will I get to work with no money for gas? Discover does not care about the individual, all they care about is money even if they have to rob the poor! Discover is ruining our lives! Discover is greedy taking all we have for a small debt! To them, the amount we owe is chump change! How is this okay??! We really need help...

Original review: April 28, 2019

Disputed a charge that was false and explained with a letter and documents and despite attempts to contact me I finally called the dispute department cited with the crooked vendor and wished me luck. They are not on your side. Only their side to make money no matter who get the short end of the stick. They charge a lot more interest than other cards. Not happy with them and have not decided what to do yet.

Original review: April 26, 2019

Discover is unfair and unethical in their review, process when determining credit line increases. I know at this time I am, probably not entitled to increase but when I was they would not, I can never speak to a ** customer service rep not never. I am currently in the process of litigation proceedings against Discover, for some of their, shall I say inequal hiring policies. I would, like to pay them off and expose them for who they are a right winged organization and, practices as such in my opinion.

Original review: April 26, 2019

They send you a letter with a personalized invitation saying because of my credit history I am a valued customer and should apply for a personal loan to consolidate debt. I do have a cc with Discover as well. I earn a big salary and can afford to pay for it. I do like to shop around for best options so because I shopped around I have too many hard inquiries and they can't offer me the loan. Why send me a false letter based on credit history but based on hard inquiries you can't offer it. Stay away. I found 2 other reputable companies far better than Discover. Stay away!

Original review: April 25, 2019

If you want a credit card company that will charge you late fees when you pay on time, then make you spend 5 hours to fix it but not actually fix it, then do it all over again next month, then explain patronizingly how you can pay your bill on time, go with @Discover.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I applied for this card and was approved for $1,250.00. I was asked to verify my information. They asked for a copy of my driver license the front and the back, a copy of my SSN and I submitted that. Because I did not change my address on my driver's license they would not accept that so they wanted a copy of my bank statement with my new address on it. I submitted that. I guess that was not good enough. They wanted my tax information so I had to sign a document to release my tax information to them. I submitted that. It came back that the IRS would not give them my information. So they asked me to sign the IRS documents again to try again to get my information from the IRS.

In the meantime I did receive the Discover card in the mail. So I called them 04/23/2019 to see what was going on with the card. They choose to close my account and will not tell me the reason why. This is the first time that I have ever had to give out this amount of information to a credit card company. I talked with some of my family members and friends that has Discover. They have never had to deal with this. My friend and my brother open their account in January 2019. And did not have this problem. Can someone tell me is this the norm.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I am incredibly disappointed with Discover. I have had a credit card with them for almost 4 years and have never missed a payment. In March I made a $2000 payment which was returned. I called Discover and was told that the payment went through a closed bank account. This account was removed and updated by phone, but for some reason changes made by phone don't register on their online or app accounts. Up until this point however, they were taking out monthly payments from my new account for 10 months with no issue.

As a result of their flawed system my account with Discover was closed and the credit limit decreased by $2600 which has now caused a double hit to my credit report and dropped me 50 points. I was told there is nothing they can do and they wished that changes made by phone registered with the online and app. I am incredibly disgusted with Discover and will warn anyone who wants an account with them to steer clear. I never plan on working having any accounts with them in the future.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have been a customer of Discover for about 20 years. I am retired from law enforcement and investigated Credit Card Fraud and fully appreciate the challenge at hand to "Abate" Fraud in this CYBER WORLD. I make from time to time purchases for multiple thousands of dollars, and always call Discover, peck through all the "Inconvenient" and monotonous soliloquies none offering my intentions. Finally after pounding ZERO a few times I am finally greeted by a very responsible and friendly voice. I convey to the AGENT my intention to use my card for multiple thousands of dollars, and am always thanked for the info, and also told it is nowhere near my credit limit as though to insinuate, the call was not needed but thanks because a bad charge will be "Pending for days" and I should be vigilant of my card activity and report unknown charges "if" they occur. Not to worry.

So I travel across the US to a state far away and make a special purchase of a special piece of equipment for a LOUSY $591.00. The person at the convention upon processing my charge while I am en route back home is confronted with "Purchase Declined" by DISCOVER FRAUD DIVISION. WTF? Prior to this, for over 2 months I have made a preponderance of purchases with the DISCOVER CARD all hours of the night for way more than $591 to no avail of any question or regard. So I call DISCOVER and inquire about the declined purchase. It was a RANDOM decline of AUTHORIZATION. In other words they throw DARTS at a DART BOARD and if they land on your CC NUMBER you are DECLINED. The vendor has no history of bad sales or bad credit card activity. I have never revolved my account once in 20 years. I never approach, even close to my credit limit.

In the final analysis, DISCOVER has changed in my Professional Opinion to not just a ZERO RATING BUT SUPER ZERO RATING. Their unintended DECLINE also costed my business a CLIENT because of a week delay to be able to engage in Professional Services i.e. NO TOOL! CANCELLING all 5 of my cards and will NEVER use DISCOVER AGAIN! I hope this helps someone who is considering a reliable Credit Card Company. I has several Business Bank Cards to fall back upon so I will move on, but, for a person starting out, DO NOT RELY ON DISCOVER, go anywhere else. Thank you Consumer Affairs for the platform to discuss these otherwise marauding credit companies.

Original review: April 18, 2019

My credit line was decreased because of a mistake put on my credit. Got it straight. Discover refused to reinstate my line of credit. Just kept saying, "We are sorry. You can apply again." Their service is a piece of **. Do not trust them. They will screw you and then won't give a damn.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Discover Card Company does not work with you during a financial hardship. While some people may just stop paying when they cannot afford the minimum payment my mother was forthcoming with Discover. We've called them 3 times this week to try and head off as much as we can problems with paying the current monthly amount begging for a financial hardship repayment plan like ALL OTHER CREDIT CARD COMPANIES OFFER when the debtor calls the company to let them know and avoid bankruptcy.

My mother is struggling so we reached out to all of her other credit cards and let them know about the increase of new monthly expenses due to health problems. All credit card companies assisted with plans reducing the monthly payment significantly but at the end of the payback the account would be closed. Discover first offered a $220 monthly payment for only 12 months and also told us to call a credit counseling service Discover "recommended" to decrease the monthly payment further. We did just that. And after calling their "recommended" credit counseling service their monthly minimum payment would ONLY save my mother $4, yes, FOUR DOLLARS.

Each time we call Discover, Discover "pretends" to thank my mother for being a card members since 1997 but this means absolutely nothing. So we called back Discover and said their credit counseling service could only decrease the monthly payment by $4 and my mother would have to PAY the credit card service $39 per month to get this INCREDIBLE savings. We told the lady we called the day before and then called the credit card counseling service as Discover recommend us to do but since that was a joke we would like my mother to take the only measly option this credit fraud company would provide $220 for 12 months.

The "customer" service person who kept saying, "oh your health is important" said, "No. Sorry that rate is only for 6 months and then you'd have to wait for another year before you could qualify for another financial hardship program." So we were forced to say, "Okay let's think about bankruptcy". The next day, 3rd call, we called Discover again, today, and asked for the plan again for the 6 months at the lower rate of $220 and the lady/guy said, "Yes okay but FIRST you have to pay the higher amount". WHAT?!?! Why are we even asking about a hardship plan knowing she cannot afford the monthly minimum due if the person demands the normal higher rate which she cannot afford. If she could afford the higher rate we wouldn't be asking about a financial hardship plan for God's sake.

So my mother having this card since 1997 and having a balance around $10 for all of those years this company has made more money 5000 times over what my mother has owed with the 24% interest rate. This company is horrible. Do not get a card with them. They don't even seem to think and it's clear money is not important to them since we are now filing bankruptcy.

Imagine, a guy owes you $5000 and says, I'm sorry I can't afford the $1000 per year but I can do $500 per year and it's ok to add more interest and the guy says, "Nope. You'll have to file bankruptcy so I can get NOTHING". That's what Discover's business model is, so funny. No wonder people who take this card are far and few between. Absolute nonsense and made my mother call and call and call all the while giving wrong information, changed information and saying no to helping her but we could hear the "smile" in their voices when they said, "Your health is the most important thing we so hope you feel better, goodbye".

Original review: April 11, 2019

I recently moved, missed 2 payments due to going paperless and Katy of Salt Lake City was a typical Millennial. I'd already paid off my bill and asked her to refund the 2nd late fee and retract it from the Credit Bureau whom they'd notified. My score plummeted 62 points from excellent to good. She was arrogant and cheerful to the point of annoyance as she put me on hold numerous times and each time told me she could NOT remove the late fee AND they would NOT contact the Credit Bureau. She informed me that was MY responsibility. Her 'customer service skills' are horrible and her lack of education which caused her to put me on hold numerous times embarrassing. I am thoroughly disgusted with her and Discover when any other credit card companies would be helpful. Discover has been a nightmare to my wallet and most importantly my credit score. We're done with Discover.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I'm extremely disappointed with this particular credit card company. If I could give less than 0 I would. We decided to pay off one of our credit cards because we're focusing on eliminating debt. We paid off the balance on one of our Discover cards and because they felt that our credit score wasn't high enough even after paying off the balance, they decided overnight to just close our account. We thought they would find it as a good thing to have the balance paid off but they just wait for you to pay it off and then kick you out even after years of being with them. Disappointing company.

Original review: March 31, 2019

If you are considering a credit card company and you are thinking Discover may be a possibility, drop it from your list and run! Discover decided that my debt to income ratio was too high, so overnight without warning they raised my interest rate from 12% to 31%. I had made all my payments on time, always exceeded my minimum payment and had not maxed out my credit line. This after being with them for years. There was no reasoning with anyone whom we talked to at Discover, they were all rude, arrogant and condescending. Their attitude is clearing that they have plenty of customers and if you don't like how you are treated, go elsewhere. So we did!!! There is no attitude of customer loyalty or satisfaction with this company! I'm amazed they are still in business!

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information