Find a Credit Cards partner

Discover

3.9/5 (1655 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: June 25, 2021

I have been that pain in the **, calls all the time, nitpicking, obsessing customer and Discover has gone well above and beyond every single time to resolve my issue(s)! All representatives are incredibly knowledgeable, well spoken, and go out of their way! Employees for most other companies will play the “other department” blame game, pass you back-and-forth, say they don’t know (and not offer or try to find out), blame other companies, or even put you on hold for long times only to be disconnected in the end. Instead these employees work together across-the-board, communicate with each other well, and take really good notes (so I’m not repeating myself).

I am not making this review based on one, two, or even three experiences, but many, many experiences and this has consistently been my experience. Every single person I’ve spoken with has been from the United States and all have been incredibly knowledgeable, well trained (you can tell they cross train in other departments), and respectful. When they didn’t know the answer to something, they found out; all I had to do was ask! They always have a good attitude and continue to go out of their way even when you are frustrated. Best of all, there are never long holds or endless automated systems! A couple days ago I actually was transferred correctly to three people for two separate problems and in under 8 min, my first issue resolved and I was already speaking to the last one for my other problem (which was resolved only a couple minutes later) —MIND BOGGLING!!!

Also of note, I’m not treated well bc I am some top tier client. I started with my Discover It secured credit card and gave them $200 of my own money to borrow. I paid off my balance every month religiously and without me even having to ask, they refunded my $200 and increased my credit limit to $1000 six months later.

I’m realizing this sounds like some fake review (at least that’s what I’d think if I read it), but rest assured Discover doesn’t need to seek out positive reviews, they’re already there. This has just been my experience. I felt compelled to make this review because I have been that person that doesn’t review often, but when I do it’s usually negative and I felt compelled to do this one because they have truly pressed me that much!! There are only two other companies I have done business with in the world (not credit card companies) that have impressed me with their customer service, but Discover tops them both! Please keep up the good work Discover! You have made a customer for life (provided you don’t change) and you are RARE! Thank you for making this part of my life as simple as it should be! I am truly grateful!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

This is an excellent credit card for their cash back rewards on quarterly categories. The categories change every three months and are not always in areas we use a lot. But when they are, they are worth a whopping 5% back on categories such as gas stations, restaurants, wholesale clubs (Costco, Sam's, etc.), Walmart, E-Bay, or even any online merchant. Past problems of acceptance at some merchants have been resolved: the Discover card is accepted almost everywhere now.

The card is FREE (no annual fee), billing is accurate, and their attention to online and PoP purchases is exemplary. While Discover's interest rates are on the high side, this is no issue for people who pay their balances every month. The cash back rewards are also very easy to use. They can come as balance credits or be applied to PayPal or Amazon purchases... or even as checks if desired. There are also no restrictions on types of purchases they can be applied toward. One caveat: except for the wonderful 5% categories, the cash back reward is comparatively very low on all other purchases, so I only recommend using this card for those quarterly categories.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

I’ve applied and was accepted for the Discover Credit card roughly 2 years ago. It was my very first credit card ever. Having it has helped me build credit. It also allows me to use my monthly cashback earnings on Amazon.com. Another great thing was that my credit line had increased from $650 to $1200, then from$2700 to now $4200. With the higher credit line come more frequent transactions, so both good and bad. There’s also zero monthly fee. Not sure if it’s because I’m still a student or not, but that’s always nice to see in a credit card.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I've had Discover Card since 1980 and use it all the time. The Cash Back Bonuses build up and I can use them when I want to. I had a problem where someone attempted to use my card number in another state since the charge amount was more than the amount I set up in my qualifiers. I was notified by Discover of the pending charge for approval. I immediately looked at my account and found 6 other charges also just under the amount I had selected. I called Discover at 10:00 pm on a Sunday and explained what happened, within 15 minutes the pending charge was stopped/frozen reported as fraudulent as well as the other 6 charges on my account. My card was closed and I was issued a new one which I received Tuesday. That's what I call service! I've been very pleased with Discover Card over the years and would not be without it!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I had Discover card acct since 1986. Never missed payment or paid minimum required but always paid in full. Lately I disputed charges from NY Sports after I no longer go there: discover deducted the disputed amount one month then added it following statement. I refused to pay those disputed charges so they added penalties and interest on my monthly bill and split the amount on my sons credit report. They call me on daily basis offering me to pay certain $ amount and close the deal. I ask them to put that in writing but they refuse. Now my sons are affected by this: they never made one transaction using discover but they put it on their credit reports. What can I do?

Original review: July 26, 2021

I have been a loyal and reliable Discover card member for 17 years! Just found out they closed my account for inactivity. They said they sent me a letter in April I never got it. Something like this affecting credit should be sent certified. I escalated to a supervisor and was told the only thing I could do was apply for a new card... No way.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Advantages: Responsive customer service and fast fraud detection. Decent points/miles program that are easy to use at popular sites. Disadvantages: Not international. Ineffectual dispute protection was frustrating.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I was looking to transfer $ from a high interest rate to a 0% transfer fee with a 0% for a number of months. I saw an advertisement from Discover that has 0% transfer fee and 0% for around 15 or so months. I applied and was immediately accepted. When the card came I read the information and it stated that there is a 3% transfer fee. When I called Discover and spoke to an account manager, he said that, "We never offer a 0% transfer fee." I provided the website and immediately cancelled the card. Not only was I misled the process had a hit on my credit score that I have been so diligently working on. Has anybody looking for a 0% credit card transfer fee that comes from Discover please stay away so you do not have to go through what I have been.

Martin

Original review: July 13, 2021

I made a purchase in the amount of $1,128.30 on my Discover card and then had to the cancel the purchase. The retailer returned $1,098.30 (minus a $30 cancelation fee) to Discover. It has been 51 days since the retailer processed the refund (98 days since I requested the cancellation) and the credit still has not shown up on my Discover account. Discover initially blamed the retailer, but the retailer has proven that they returned the funds 51 days ago and the credit was captured by Discover. I have been calling Discover attempting to correct this issue with Discover for over a month now, and still they have not credited the funds to my account. I have dealt with over 25 associates with Discover now and still do not have my funds.

I have two experiences with this company. They have either told me they would research it and would call me back, and then I would never hear from them, and I would have to start the whole process all over again. Or they have passed me around through multiple associates and I would have to repeat all the specifics with each associate I was transferred to, until finally someone would just tell me they could not help me. While most of the associates were polite/pleasant, they were not helpful. Also, a couple of their associates were very rude and unapologetic. I have wasted hours of my life trying to get this resolved. Please do not use this company!!!

Original review: July 8, 2021

I had the card roughly 3 years, if memory serves me. I suffered a severe stroke (brain bleed) on July 2, 2019. I woke up in a hospital bed and my first question was "what about my bills?" I lost a car/jobs/and place to live. Every single company sent me straight to collections (which I abhor with every fiber of my being) except, Discover=the impetus for my being eager to settle this account. I repeat I was eager!!!! The gentleman I dealt with, quite obvious to me,,did not have the prerequisite skills to both listen and hear my words.

$61/month was the figure he came up/he came up with and I fell for it. Lock/stock/barrel. Also they wanted an upfront "good faith payment” was the vernacular used. I made that and life went on. I moved the date of payment up in each month. The recent transgression against me was I was told (quite rudely by a woman who needs to lose her job immediately) after being charged for the 3rd time I repeat 3rd time overdraft fees because the money did not come out. I repeat did not come out on the agreed upon date. Recently (as she once more rudely told me) I agreed to all this (we have it on tape) Mr. ** the set date was exactly July 3rd. I repeat. July 3rd not July 2nd as that was when my money was taken from me and my account that could have been about $100 is now $6.42. Also I have endured 3 hernia operations.

Discover Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information