Disclosures

Discover

3.8/5 (570 ratings)

About Discover

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Loyal customer, always paid bill in full before due date. Process of moving ex-roommate used my card for junk removal without my permission. Filed report w/ police. Made claim on card. Investigator called and accused me of lying, slammed my character and was so aggressive and rude! Been going back and forth since September 2022! It’s such a small amount I should just pay to have it over BUT I’m fighting it only for the principle of the matter BUT to prove that investigator wrong! Once over I’m closing account and posting to my social media followers.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2023

Was a loyal customer for 15 years. Made a dispute because a restaurant puts food we cannot eat in their seafood bucket, they admit these details are not mentioned in online ordering, and they don’t do refunds. They won the dispute, Discover said there’s nothing they could do. It’s like poisoning our food and getting away with it. So I closed the account not realizing the dispute chargeback was underway, by the time I realized I was slapped with late fees.

I called Discover and they said they could reverse 1 late fee, when I pay just agree to the whole amount and not to worry the fee removal would be reflected, and it would take 2 business days for this payment to be withdrawn from my bank. Turns out Discover bamboozled me despite everything being recorded on the call and in their notes. The total amount was withdrawn the same day. No fee reduction whatsoever. Not only does Discover not fight for you when vendors could get away with murder, they have shady business practices to get any last hurrah. Save yourself the trouble, don’t trust Discover, if you have an account, close it when your balance is settled, it’s not worth the inevitable disaster.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

I always have the best customer service with Discover. After moving across country I have dealt with multiple dishonest and unethical companies. Discover has helped me recover money from predatory "moving companies," banks, and mobile/internet companies. I always get through to someone and they are always located in the U.S. which is really helpful. Unlike so many other companies, they still seem to value their customers. I really appreciate them and would recommend working with them.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2022

My mother has had a CD with Discover Bank for 2 years. It became mature on October 17, 2022. As I hold Power of Attorney, I decided to cash in the CD for her care costs. I wrote a letter to Discover, I filled out all the forms correctly, I obtained a note from her doctor saying she cannot handle her own finances, and a copy of the Power of Attorney. I mailed all this through the USPS with tracking. Meantime the CD matured and was rolled over for another 2 years. I mailed the documents well before that date.

I called Discover several times to find out if they had received the envelope. I was told things like 'no we don't have it' or 'I don't know' or 'we will contact you when we receive it'. The post office says it was delivered on October 19th, 2022. I have called repeatedly over the past 5 weeks. I call 2 or three times a week. Not one person can help me. I get excuse after excuse after excuse such as 'I don't know' or 'legal will contact you', 'we are waiting on Power of Attorney' but I never get any type response from them. Not one person can tell me if they received the documents, if the documents are even in the building, if anyone has looked at the documents, or what other documents they may need. My mother is facing financial devastation without this money. Discover Bank, PO Box 30416, Salt Lake City, UT 84130 1-800-347-7000

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

Ok, I applied for a $500 line of credit on a secured line, I was approved, so I added my wife. After weekly payments to pay my card down to zero every week, I decided we needed a larger limit increase. I was approved for the max of $2500 Secured. I choose to do $1000, bumping our credit limit to $1500 total. November 1st my we deposited the $1000.00, it typically can take up to 8 business days to reflect your account. It's November 18th, no limit increase, I've called 11 times and get the same ** run-around story. The people are very friendly, but management and the secured line department supervisors are absolutely worthless.

After reading 172+ negative reviews, it warranted us to yell them to stop our credit increases, Expedite and refund our $1000. They said it will take 2-3 BILLING CYCLES? WHAT??? I should have trusted my gut and never applied for the increase. I'm a person of integrity, something this company lacks big time. I can't say it enough, the people are nice who answer, but trying to get anywhere with anyone is next to impossible. They said the reason for the 3-week delay is unknown, they have multiple people working on it and they are all communicating by email. SMH, it takes 1 individual who knows what they're doing to push the reflect to account button, they can't seem to find that button?

Long story short, if you're needing a tradeline with revolving credit for any of the many reasons, go with Open Sky or Capital One, Discover isn't accepted everywhere like visa and master card is. I'm not trying to knock the company, but they somehow lost $1,000 of my money which my bank confirms is in Discover's hands, but have zero answers but the same sob story I get every time I call. I will keep my current $500 card open, but I truly hope this reaches you and you find truth in this and what many other 1-star reviews are saying.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

Been a reliable company in the past but DISCOVER has really let me down and as I been reading reviews after another reviews on this company just keep getting worse. I have been with DISCOVER for years and they simply refuse to give me a well-deserved credit line increase BUT they refuse and always have different criteria for the refusals and mostly don't even apply to my situation as they have a robot or computer decide if YOU are human enough to be responsible instead of hardcore proof such as never late, always on time and responsible pay history and etc.

If you are doing everything correct and still get appreciated and or rewarded with more credit spending power then not sure what hoops and tricks in this circus they want us to do! This is certainly a stay-away company for your credit card needs! Went to American Express and they treated me well with a starting credit line and open arms! DISCOVER has simply lost their good business antics and with kids literally young immature low paying customer service folks that simply don't care about anything but that paycheck at the end of the day.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

My credit card account with Discover was closed due to "not being able to verify my identity". Discover says they have sent me numerous attempts to reach out and verify my information. I have checked all my records (and I don't delete emails or voicemails), and nothing from Discover on the dates they said they've contacted me. There is absolutely no legitimate grounds as to why my account should be closed, let alone not even reopened for consumer satisfaction, based on the reason. I will forever remain away from Discover and will never recommend this company to anyone ever again. I will even go as far as to deter anyone I know from using this company again as well. Posting my reviews online, let people see for themselves.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Received an alert that card was being used in August 2022, called Discover to report it wasn't me. They suspended the card immediately and stated that they'd send a new one, after 2-3 weeks later called to report that I didn't receive it and was told it was due to a payment being due that they could not send a card, made a payment and was told it would be sent out, couple weeks later called again to state, card had not been received to be that they could not send me a card unless, I called from the number from an extensive fraud alert, that was placed on my Transunion account, called Transunion, not sure how the fraud alert got there, sent them proof of address, copy of ID and a cover letter, called Transunion to verify receipt, the removed extended fraud alert, called Discover back and was told it wasn't removed, waited a week called back and refused to let customer service rep off the phone.

After he told me the same, called Transunion on home phone, verified the information on speaker while rep on mobile phone on speaker. He calmed his attitude and stated he'd heard and will do a soft transfer so that he can explain to a manager that he heard my conversation with Transunion and that he applauds me on how calm I am after reading the notes on how many times, I've called. Once transfered, I got a Manager on the phone, who stated to me that he told her that I needed a replacement card and they weren't able to send it cause, I had a fraud alert. She was just as unconcerned as all the other managers that I'd spoken to over the last 2 months. I have spent numerous hours on the phone, being transfered to unhelpful managers, having to explain my issue and many departments and inconsistency in the reasons for this issue, never a solution all though, I've done what was expected of me and 3 months later, no results in sight.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

Since July 2022, I have been attempting to get my Custodial Account individualized. I have called at least 8 times. Wasted numerous hours attempting to upload documents....and always something missing. Continual apologies with absolutely no follow-up unless you call. When you reach customer service all you get is scripted apologies and excuses! DO NOT BANK WITH THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2022

I've discovered after 2 months now that my payments I made over the telephone didn't actually get processed? I find my account has been closed and I call them and they tell me that they've sent me late reminders in email and they have not? In fact their automated system is broken and I have the evidence on my phone of proving I called in and paid my bill?! They reported me to the credit bureaus for their own automated error and refuse to take it off so I refuse to pay them.

They're thieves. I bet they get kickbacks from the credit companies to do this to people!! They said they can only take away the credit reports if it's their mistake!? It's definitely their mistake and I will sue their ** over this. I worked for 10 years to make my credit perfect and now when I need it they went out of their way to destroy it. Like I said I bet it's some con artist negotiation they have with the credit bureaus to do this to people. Avoid them at all cost. I've never had this problem with any other card.

Discover Card author review by Danni White

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Discover Company Information