Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Discover

Discover
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.05/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

Original review: April 4, 2020

I honestly cannot stress enough how wonderful Discover is. I am a Discover It credit card holder & have been so impressed with them. Years ago when I first applied I was young, had very little if any credit history. Discover was willing to give me a shot where most others wouldn't. So our relationship began, I believe I had a $2000 credit limit which at the time seemed like a lot. Fast forward to a few years later, I moved to another state with my kids & husband & our moving expenses were more than we realized they would be. I called Discover & asked for more credit, explained the situation & even though it was months before I could officially request a credit increase they again took a chance, made an exception & helped me. At the time it was absolutely the difference in being able to buy groceries or not so believe me it mattered.

Fast forward several years later to today. Covid19 is upon us & my family has lost all of our income (temporarily). Once again I called Discover to see about a payment arrangement & within minutes a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I also want to make it clear I have an account with another MAJOR credit card company & they could have cared less what we were going through. It's like night & day dealing with Discover vs my other credit card company. Discover has been there for me to help with every major crisis my family has had money wise. If you pay your bill on time & make an effort they will go to great lengths to help you & they do it in a responsible manner, they don't just give you a huge credit line then throw you to the wolves when you go through hard times. Discover is in my opinion the best credit card company out there. I've been with them for many years & I plan to stay with them.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I find myself often getting riled up when I run across a terrible company, but rarely share the same exuberance when I find a gem. Discover's online bank is one of those gems. I opened an account about a year ago, and cannot be more pleased. Their high interest savings account is just that, maintaining interest rates far above the average 160x higher than the savings account I used to have. The checking account, while not interest bearing, is efficient and I have yet to incur ANY fee. Not one fee! I get 1% cashback every month like clock work simply for using the debit card. Needless to say, I pay every bill with the Discover debit card. The website is clean, efficient and easy to navigate. And if you do have a question, I challenge you to call them and be disappointed. Kudos to Discover and I recommend them to anyone that does not need to visit a brick and mortar bank.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I had to file a dispute with Discover that was over 6 months old. I never received a wedding package that I paid for and it turns out that the company just closed. I followed up with the company and never heard a response so I thought I would call to see if I can dispute the charges. Discover was so helpful and empathetic to my situation. I was pretty emotional and they took care of my request. They reversed the charges. I’m so grateful for their assistance. I would much rather have the wedding package but since my odds are against me, I’m glad they were able to alleviate the financial burden of paying for something that I never received. Amazing experience with Discover!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I just checked my balance today - I thought I had overpaid my account by about $40, so I was SHOCKED when I logged in to see I owed over $150! I immediately called customer service, and had the pleasure of speaking with Katie in the Salt Lake City office (local to me). The call was after normal business hours (8pm on 12/03/2019). Katie was incredibly kind and patient while I was a little bit panicked. She calmly talked things through with me as we figured out that in setting up my payment options on their site, I had entered the information incorrectly, resulting in the payment being kicked back by my bank. Even though the error was 100% my fault, Katie went above and beyond to help me get it sorted out. I cannot say enough good things about her, and Katie, if you ever see this: Seriously - Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have had my Discover card since 1992. I have had to contact their service dept only a few times but every time a real person (English speaking) answers the phone, they are polite and very helpful. Recently I call the service line. I thought a payment did not get posted. It turned out to be my fault. They reversed the associated fees and interest for me anyway. I paid the balance amount immediately.

In general I do not recommend going into debt. I use this card for everything I can and pay the full amount every month. However, if someone is responsible and needs a good card, I always recommend Discover. Their service is great. They have no foreign transaction fees (which is a pain for expense accounts). Their fraud protection is the best (I never complain when I get a call from them for a suspect charge). And customer service is great (worth mentioning twice). I highly recommend Discover Card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: April 7, 2020

I am writing this to explain what it's like to do all your banking through a credit card company. I had 4 accounts with discover - personal credit card, business credit card, savings account and checking/debit account. What I learned is that these 4 accounts are all dealt with separately and do not communicate with each other. I had been a loyal Discover member for many years and had high credit (700's). I changed how I paid my business discover card and because of a weird series of events missed two minimum payments. They never called me, they sent me 1 email which got lost in the dozens of emails I get daily from them and did not send anything by mail. They did not move money from my savings to my business credit card like any other bank would have done. Nothing.

The only reason I found out was because I called them to dispute a charge on my account. I did everything electronically and never had issues. I had ample funds in my savings/checking to cover the small minimum payment that was due. They wouldn't talk to me and shut down my business credit card and even shut down my personal credit card which had no missed payments!!! No discussion. No consideration of the years spent with them. I was beyond disappointed and frustrated that after all the time I had been with them they treated me like a criminal. I would never recommend them.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I do Not recommend those company or card at all! I have had my account for a year as of this month. When I opened my account I was informed that in 8 months I would get my deposit back. I still don’t have it! I was not told that I had to do Anything else But keep my account in good standing, and I Have! My account has stayed on tip top shape! Now I just keep getting the run around! I am fed up with this company! Now I am being informed that the only way to get my money back is to close my account. And they didn’t even Try to keep me as a customer! This is A nasty company! Think before you do it! I have Nothing nice to say! And I could say much more but I am tired! Just Don’t do it! I would give them 0 stars if I could!

Original review: April 3, 2020

My husband owned a Discover card and always paid off his balance monthly. Called in to report his death in March, they stated if his balance 223.00 isnt paid they'll go after his assets.. How pathetic can a company be.. Think twice before you apply with this company.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Discover Card. They will jack the interest up to astronomical levels for being one month late and not negotiate. This is greed to the next level. Beware. This is not a good card to go with. Chase is much better to work with during these tough times.

Original review: March 23, 2020

Worst CC ever.. Well folks read thru the reviews with one star and then subtract one star. I had a $16K credit line. I paid off $4500 and the next week they lowered my credit line $4500. Not a company you can trust!! Paying them 24% and they screw me and betray my trust! Called them and spoke to several idiots only to waste my time! So I paid off my Balance...** them if they can't take a Joke!! Now they get 0% interest and a Hope they go out of business! Discover is Just another cult Company!

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information