Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

Discover

Discover
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.16/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I just checked my balance today - I thought I had overpaid my account by about $40, so I was SHOCKED when I logged in to see I owed over $150! I immediately called customer service, and had the pleasure of speaking with Katie in the Salt Lake City office (local to me). The call was after normal business hours (8pm on 12/03/2019). Katie was incredibly kind and patient while I was a little bit panicked. She calmly talked things through with me as we figured out that in setting up my payment options on their site, I had entered the information incorrectly, resulting in the payment being kicked back by my bank. Even though the error was 100% my fault, Katie went above and beyond to help me get it sorted out. I cannot say enough good things about her, and Katie, if you ever see this: Seriously - Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have had my Discover card since 1992. I have had to contact their service dept only a few times but every time a real person (English speaking) answers the phone, they are polite and very helpful. Recently I call the service line. I thought a payment did not get posted. It turned out to be my fault. They reversed the associated fees and interest for me anyway. I paid the balance amount immediately.

In general I do not recommend going into debt. I use this card for everything I can and pay the full amount every month. However, if someone is responsible and needs a good card, I always recommend Discover. Their service is great. They have no foreign transaction fees (which is a pain for expense accounts). Their fraud protection is the best (I never complain when I get a call from them for a suspect charge). And customer service is great (worth mentioning twice). I highly recommend Discover Card.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I opened a credit card account with Discover, a year ago. I have a better credit score. The customers service is more than excellent. The app is really easy to navigate. Cashback's credit card is wonderful. Each day and at your anniversary date with a simple click the menu let you do almost anything you want. If you want to request more limit, a simple click and you have more credit limit in a second!! Discover make it easier to do everything you want, compare to any other bank I know. I love it, and I am so grateful to have this credit card cashback at 5%. Discover is more than excellent. At least with me!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I think Discover Online is a great banking institution with great rates on their savings and CD accounts. I have transferred money back and forth to another institution and it is always timely. The few times that I have needed/used customer service, I spoke with an actual human, which was great! Reps were very professional and my issue was resolved. I hate giving a five rating because I believe there is always room for improvement, but Discover is pretty darn close to perfect for my needs. I have already referred other people. Also you can establish an online beneficiary!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

My Discover credit card is the best credit card I’ve ever owned. I opened my Discover account a little over two years ago. My only disappointment is that I didn’t apply for a Discover card sooner. I assumed that many merchants wouldn’t accept Discover. To my surprising in the two years I’ve run across two merchants that did not accept Discover. I’m able to use my Discover card with all my purchases.

I enjoy my cash back rewards, low interest rate, credit limit, refer credits, and most importantly the service I receive from their employees. Each time I had to call to speak to a representative I was greeted by a live person within a minute. Every person I spoke with was knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful. I recommend Discover credit card to everyone!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

These frauds are despicable. They have the audacity to not even respond to BBB complaints instead they send a bogus letter and that's the end of it.. They are trying to deter from seeing all the complaints they have online.... Frauds and thieves charging me double interest for over 5 years! Reported to FDIC.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I opened my account January 19, 2020. On February 12, 2020 I log into my online account that states account suspended. I called customer service and the representative stated they need to verify me and ensure I am who I say I am. I stated so this verification couldn’t be done when I applied? You guys wait until I have used the card and made payments on a daily basis now, especially since the cashback program is amazing. She said, "Yes. Unfortunately this is the company's process." It’s completely unfair because I googled their process and so many people accounts have been closed once they are taken through this step.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act should not allow this process to be take. Companies like Capital One will verify you before sending you the card and allowing you to use it. Just a bad business practice and experience overall. I can’t wait for them to come back and say, "We confirmed your identity and have now unlocked your account" so I can say. "Please close the account, Thank you!"

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I could not be any happier. out of all my 13 accounts discover is my favorite. They have helped me in many ways. don't understand the people that complain. They are one of a kind I thank them. I don't care about APR as I pay my bill in full every month.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

Worst customer service so far. Waited on hold for over 3 hours to speak to an human after being hung up on TWICE. Was told sorry for the inconvenience! 3 hours of my life after a long day at work is MORE than an inconvenience after someone tries to wipe out your life's savings! How is it 24/7 customer service if they aren't there to speak to you when a criminal is actively taking money out of your account!! Sorry isn't good enough when your life's savings are at risk.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We've been with this company for over 30 years. In the last few years, they've been on a steady decline with customer service but today they struck a new low. After being on hold over several hours, not one person could help me with a simple problem. They need to clean house and train all of their employees to be knowledgeable AND genuinely helpful. Knock it off with the "I know how you feel" canned responses. If you knew how I felt, you wouldn't have given me the runaround like you did today. I highly recommend VISA card where you get great service and the employees really do show they care.

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information