Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Discover
3.60/5

Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

760 Discover Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I opened a credit card account with Discover, a year ago. I have a better credit score. The customers service is more than excellent. The app is really easy to navigate. Cashback's credit card is wonderful. Each day and at your anniversary date with a simple click the menu let you do almost anything you want. If you want to request more limit, a simple click and you have more credit limit in a second!! Discover make it easier to do everything you want, compare to any other bank I know. I love it, and I am so grateful to have this credit card cashback at 5%. Discover is more than excellent. At least with me!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I think Discover Online is a great banking institution with great rates on their savings and CD accounts. I have transferred money back and forth to another institution and it is always timely. The few times that I have needed/used customer service, I spoke with an actual human, which was great! Reps were very professional and my issue was resolved. I hate giving a five rating because I believe there is always room for improvement, but Discover is pretty darn close to perfect for my needs. I have already referred other people. Also you can establish an online beneficiary!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

After 20 Years, Still My Favorite Card. I have had nothing but positive experiences with this company since I got my first card in the late 1990s. The rewards are by far the easiest to understand and redeem. They update your FICO score monthly on the website, and even have a page explaining it. Purchases are categorized to help with budgeting. The customer service is better than any other company I've dealt with; agents are knowledgeable and friendly. I recently had a disputed charge and it was resolved quickly and easily. I would gladly recommend Discover to anyone.

Original review: April 2, 2019

My Discover credit card is the best credit card I’ve ever owned. I opened my Discover account a little over two years ago. My only disappointment is that I didn’t apply for a Discover card sooner. I assumed that many merchants wouldn’t accept Discover. To my surprising in the two years I’ve run across two merchants that did not accept Discover. I’m able to use my Discover card with all my purchases.

I enjoy my cash back rewards, low interest rate, credit limit, refer credits, and most importantly the service I receive from their employees. Each time I had to call to speak to a representative I was greeted by a live person within a minute. Every person I spoke with was knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful. I recommend Discover credit card to everyone!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have owned many credit cards over the years to take advantage of 0% interest, discounts, etc. Discover is by far the best credit card company I have worked with. I've had the pleasure of utilizing them as my main credit card for over 10 years now. Their 5% cash back reward program is awesome and their superior customer service is next to none. I'm always connected to someone quickly who I can understand and who understands me. Credit disputes have always been resolved in a timely manner.

Most importantly, Discover notifies ME when they suspect fraudulent activity on my account. I keep a close eye on my account, but most recently, Discover reached out to me when someone had hacked into our Chipotle account and was racking up multiple transactions on our Discover card. Once I verified the activity was not ours, Discover immediately stopped any more transactions from hitting our account, closed our account, and issued new cards that were at our doorstep in two days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

They continue to provide my card information to a fitness center that I’ve cancelled with. Discover has without my authorization provided updated credit card information to the fitness center. And when I confronted Discover they state that it is what they typically do. Horrible, company, they only care about the large corporations not us.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Discover stole my daughters vehicle and extorted the full amount of the debt owed. Not only did they steal my vehicle. THEY EXTORTED the full amount of the debt from me. So I paid Discover double the amount of the debt. My college student daughter used the vehicle to commute to and from her part time job to help with the expense of college. She has suffered a tremendous loss in wages due to lack of transportation. They are deliberately making my daughter suffer for a debt that has already been paid. I have proof of payment and Discover is claiming payment was never received. However Western Union is confirming payment was cashed and cleared. Someone please guide me in the direction to resolve this matter.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I have had a Discover card for 29 years and now I am done with them. Big change has recently taken place. Now you call up and get a phone tree. So much for the commercials with getting a real person! I recently made an over the phone payment for the full balance on my card. Four days later I received an email telling me there was a problem with the banking information. I immediately called and was told that I had the choice to pay again over the phone or pay when I got the next statement as they would just add the original amount due to the new statement. I asked if any fees would be assessed and I was told no after the person checked. I summarized that my options where to pay again by phone or pay later on next statement and there would be no fees and that was verified by the representative. I choose to wait for statement and pay. Of course the statement arrived with added fees.

When I called up I learned they also put my card on hold! Two days after I called them back!! Nowhere on the statement did it say that my card was on hold nor was I told this prior. On the phone they refused to release my card and tried to shake me down for a lousy $70 bucks right there! I explained that was not what I was told and the person said they couldn't do anything until they reviewed my previous phone call. Apparently 29 years of loyalty with almost no late pays in all that time means nothing and I must be lying. The person promised to call me back that evening by 7 PM. No call back. Called the next day and again was treated worse than a criminal. I am now waiting for a call back which will happen in 72 hours. Card still on hold racking up late fees with my auto-pay accounts attached to the card. I do NOT recommend doing business with this company any more!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Don't like the fact that Discover can increase your credit limit when they see your credit score has dropped a bit. I had this credit card for 2 years. I wasn't working 1 summer 2019 so I got behind on my Capital One card and I had to put my Capital 1 card on a special payment plan and I missed 1 payment also with Discover card. Once I paid off my Discover card balance of 2500 I began using it to pay off some bills. While I was using my card I noticed my limit was the decreased from 2500 to 1500. I made a payment that following week of $40 in my credit limit was increased to 1800. Once I pay off card will be closing the account and never going with Discover again.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

This company is terrible. They took an extra $10K out of our account their mistake and then took 2 weeks to return it and that was after many phone calls. They are a ripoff. This money was done by an ACH transaction even though we had written a hard copy check. It came out of an interest bearing account so it cost us while they used our money to make money. My wife and I both had separate accounts since the 1990s which have been cancelled by us. Do not recommend unless you want a lot of heartache and aggravation if they make mistake. They can take a payment out in 24 hours of receiving a payment but it takes them the best part of 2 weeks to refund their error. My opinion they ripped us off big time and will anyone else if they get the chance!

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information