2. Finance

Discover

Discover
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: April 4, 2020

I honestly cannot stress enough how wonderful Discover is. I am a Discover It credit card holder & have been so impressed with them. Years ago when I first applied I was young, had very little if any credit history. Discover was willing to give me a shot where most others wouldn't. So our relationship began, I believe I had a $2000 credit limit which at the time seemed like a lot. Fast forward to a few years later, I moved to another state with my kids & husband & our moving expenses were more than we realized they would be. I called Discover & asked for more credit, explained the situation & even though it was months before I could officially request a credit increase they again took a chance, made an exception & helped me. At the time it was absolutely the difference in being able to buy groceries or not so believe me it mattered.

Fast forward several years later to today. Covid19 is upon us & my family has lost all of our income (temporarily). Once again I called Discover to see about a payment arrangement & within minutes a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I also want to make it clear I have an account with another MAJOR credit card company & they could have cared less what we were going through. It's like night & day dealing with Discover vs my other credit card company. Discover has been there for me to help with every major crisis my family has had money wise. If you pay your bill on time & make an effort they will go to great lengths to help you & they do it in a responsible manner, they don't just give you a huge credit line then throw you to the wolves when you go through hard times. Discover is in my opinion the best credit card company out there. I've been with them for many years & I plan to stay with them.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I find myself often getting riled up when I run across a terrible company, but rarely share the same exuberance when I find a gem. Discover's online bank is one of those gems. I opened an account about a year ago, and cannot be more pleased. Their high interest savings account is just that, maintaining interest rates far above the average 160x higher than the savings account I used to have. The checking account, while not interest bearing, is efficient and I have yet to incur ANY fee. Not one fee! I get 1% cashback every month like clock work simply for using the debit card. Needless to say, I pay every bill with the Discover debit card. The website is clean, efficient and easy to navigate. And if you do have a question, I challenge you to call them and be disappointed. Kudos to Discover and I recommend them to anyone that does not need to visit a brick and mortar bank.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I had to file a dispute with Discover that was over 6 months old. I never received a wedding package that I paid for and it turns out that the company just closed. I followed up with the company and never heard a response so I thought I would call to see if I can dispute the charges. Discover was so helpful and empathetic to my situation. I was pretty emotional and they took care of my request. They reversed the charges. I’m so grateful for their assistance. I would much rather have the wedding package but since my odds are against me, I’m glad they were able to alleviate the financial burden of paying for something that I never received. Amazing experience with Discover!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I just checked my balance today - I thought I had overpaid my account by about $40, so I was SHOCKED when I logged in to see I owed over $150! I immediately called customer service, and had the pleasure of speaking with Katie in the Salt Lake City office (local to me). The call was after normal business hours (8pm on 12/03/2019). Katie was incredibly kind and patient while I was a little bit panicked. She calmly talked things through with me as we figured out that in setting up my payment options on their site, I had entered the information incorrectly, resulting in the payment being kicked back by my bank. Even though the error was 100% my fault, Katie went above and beyond to help me get it sorted out. I cannot say enough good things about her, and Katie, if you ever see this: Seriously - Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have had my Discover card since 1992. I have had to contact their service dept only a few times but every time a real person (English speaking) answers the phone, they are polite and very helpful. Recently I call the service line. I thought a payment did not get posted. It turned out to be my fault. They reversed the associated fees and interest for me anyway. I paid the balance amount immediately.

In general I do not recommend going into debt. I use this card for everything I can and pay the full amount every month. However, if someone is responsible and needs a good card, I always recommend Discover. Their service is great. They have no foreign transaction fees (which is a pain for expense accounts). Their fraud protection is the best (I never complain when I get a call from them for a suspect charge). And customer service is great (worth mentioning twice). I highly recommend Discover Card.

Original review: July 12, 2020

I have been with Discover since 2011. I have NEVER had a late payment. Last year they ran a "random" credit check on my account. I also have an American Express credit card & last year they erroneously put a late payment on my account (there was a $2.50 fax charge charged to my account at a hotel that I was never notified about). Discover decreased my balance from $10,000 to $500! I explained to Discover that it was an error & American Express had rectified the reporting of the late payment. Although they also confirmed this was an error on American Express, they refused to reinstate my balance and offered me a $500 increase. I will NEVER use their card again.

Original review: July 11, 2020

I called the number provided to open an account and take out a small loan. The first person instantly transferred me to another department. After explaining again, the second person said they'd have to transfer me to another department. I explained to him. He transferred me to another department. The 4th person I talked to told me he'd have to transfer me to another department, as his department could not help me open an account. No one in this company will listen to the customers and apparently no one is trained to do anything at all. It's like they're doing everything in their power not to make any money off of me.

Original review: July 7, 2020

This is the worst credit card you could get. My card number was stolen and they said it was my fault and I had to pay it...so I paid it. Just to let you know they did a investigation and the guy who stole it admitted to it and Discover even told me that. But they just continued to give me b.s . One agent even told me they didn't want to pay fraud claim so I ended up paying it to keep my good credit. PLEASE do business with another bank that is looking out for you. I promise you discover does not. There are plenty of banks that give good service and are for the customer, DISCOVER IS AWFUL. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. AND YES I WOULD RATE THEM A ZERO IF I COULD.

Original review: June 30, 2020

Discover doesn't care about its customers!! Do not support this company! I have/had been a loyal and paying Discover customer for over 18 years, and they just, in my opinion, backstabbed me. In these COVID times, instead of asking for assistance, I actually made a large payment to help increase my credit score. Discover then turns around and reduces my limit by almost the exact amount of my payment, and negates any positive effect on my credit report!! In these times, companies should be helping their customers not hurting them!! My credit union actually increased my limit because of Covid in case I needed extra funds, that's the type of customer service we should reward!! DO NOT SUPPORT DISCOVER!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I had several fraudulent bank and credit card accounts open here. I have been struggling for many years and was recovering from ID fraud. I discovered that this bank likes to hold the victims responsible. I had to hire a legal team and Citi IDENTITY Theft services helped get my life on track. I was really victimized by this bank and the Customer Protection Services are filled with horrible people. They are all rude and took the fraud report seriously because Citi and law enforcement were involved.

Without Citi, I would not be having the life I do today. I would never recommend this evil company or be a customer of this firm again. I have made enough discoveries in my life. I just discovered that if you do not submit a fraud affidavit, the company will open another replacement account. When that does happen, your score will be hurt. I hated the fact that they reported closed by grantor for no reason. Call MasterCard White glove service and Citi and they will help if you are a victim of fraud.

Discover Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information