1.17/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

686 Discover Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I was looking to open a savings account with a reputable bank, good interest rate and phone app. I found Discover had a $200 bonus, clicked their link and read I had to deposit $25k by a certain date in order to get the bonus. I must have missed entering the promotional code somewhere - could be my mistake but that is not my complaint. After my acct was opened, before I deposited my money, I called in to make sure I would get the $200 bonus and the rep ensure me my account would be all set and I would definitely get the $200 bonus because they know my acct would qualify for it.

Fast forward 6 weeks later, I had done everything required including deposit over $25k. However, still no bonus. I call in and now they're singing a different tune. They told me I now have to provide the exact code for when I signed up and somehow it must match the code when I signed up, which makes no sense. I searched the web. Gave them all kinds of codes that I found, every code I gave them they sang a different tune as to why I can't get the bonus. Eventually I found the code with the exact date, and they sang a different tune with which contradicted a tune they sang moments earlier. They put me on hold multiple times for extended periods and finally I just said "Ok I give up, you win." Over 40 minutes of my life wasted and I wasn't going to keep going. I will be withdrawing all my funds ASAP and close my account.

I am so annoyed at this that I will start using another credit card instead of Discover as well. I have been using their credit card since 1999 and the last few years (5-10 years), I've charged my Discover credit card on avg $1k-2k per month. This also brought up another irritating situation I had with them a few years back when their credit service kept sending checks to write, which I would never use. I called in to have them stop as I thought it was risky since they have these checks (prefilled with my acct number) floating around mails. They said they couldn't stop sending the checks because it's part of their service and it's what I signed up for when I became a member.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Discover HELOC is the WORST!!! Save yourself the time, trouble and stress and RUN!!! When I started the process I was preapproved and told that the process would take 6-8 weeks. I given a list of documents to provide and I turned them in the same day. Over the next two weeks, I was given the same list of documents to provide, in part or in full several times! I can't tell you how many times I provided the SAME information! Every time I called for an update, I was told that everything was in order and looked good.

About 7 weeks into the process, I started calling daily as it seemed we were no closer to closing that in weeks prior. I was then given a counteroffer and told that underwriters had denied the previous loan that I was told I qualified for. I accepted the counteroffer and I was told it was going directly to underwriting and after a "drive by" appraisal, would only be 3 days at that point. Two weeks later, I was still in limbo! Turns out that "drive by" appraisal (that they told me does not include upgrades, land value, view, or anything other than just their assessment of the front of the house) came in $80,000 lower than and actual official appraisal I had done and as a result, I no longer qualified for the loan. The same loan they had been assuring me for 11 weeks was progressing nicely and scheduled to close soon. If I could give them negative stars, I would. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have had a Discover card since 2010, and in the last year, can't seem to make a dent in my balance no matter how much I pay. I was put into a program with lowered APR for a yr, and frozen card, told I would get about $800 off my card that way. I'm on month 10, and have made large payments each month, and still my balance has only decreased by a scant $400. I am paying between 125-150 $s a month, so how can that be right? I hope someone will check out these crooks. Don't go for this card, you'll regret it forever after.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Got sent overseas for business and the trip was extended while there. I forgot my login and tried several times to contact Discover, even through hotel operator, who informed me Discover's 2 overseas numbers would not go through. Operator stated that the number was for Canada and Mexico. Other for US only. When I got home I called Discover to explain what went on. It was the worst customer service experience ever from a credit agency. The kid did not care about my story and demanded full payment. I paid off my 2200. balance with LATE FEES. They tell bold face lies in commercials, NO LATE PAYMENT FORGIVENESS! Had been with Discover for 16 years and never late. Spent a lot of money with them. I immediately cancelled this phony cut rate card. Tons of better cards out there. Would never recommend to anyone. Did not follow through with emails for payment or closure of account.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

First of all my husband has a FICO score of 777. When he first got his credit card which was only last month, he could view his score on discover.com but now it won't show up although he can see it on Fingerhut, not only that for the past week after he has already used the card, he has been locked out of his own account, he is locked out on the android app but on the website it just says technical difficulties and they are working on it.

So now we don't know our monthly bill which should have come out today, we don't know if account's closed because when we called the company earlier when automated teller came up it said account did not exist when I put in last 4 digits like it asked us to do. I am just thinking about transferring to another card, this is ridiculous... If you are smart steer away from this company. There are much better companies out there with much better customer service... We are now regretting even going with this company in the first place.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Been with Discover since 2005 paying card protection but when I needed help with an overcharge Discover turn away, a merchant overcharge my card by $1280 back in May 2018. When I contacted Discover was told by the rep it would be easier to work it out with the merchant, month after month the merchant said he'll refund it but he never did. I contacted Discover after six months. Sent in all the text messages between myself and the merchant then was told by Discover I waited too long, Discover supposed to be an American base company but when a fraudulent charge was made on Discover card they turned their back on me. Beware. Stay away from Discover card because if ever you need them you're on your own.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have owned many credit cards over the years to take advantage of 0% interest, discounts, etc. Discover is by far the best credit card company I have worked with. I've had the pleasure of utilizing them as my main credit card for over 10 years now. Their 5% cash back reward program is awesome and their superior customer service is next to none. I'm always connected to someone quickly who I can understand and who understands me. Credit disputes have always been resolved in a timely manner.

Most importantly, Discover notifies ME when they suspect fraudulent activity on my account. I keep a close eye on my account, but most recently, Discover reached out to me when someone had hacked into our Chipotle account and was racking up multiple transactions on our Discover card. Once I verified the activity was not ours, Discover immediately stopped any more transactions from hitting our account, closed our account, and issued new cards that were at our doorstep in two days.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I recently switched all of my recurring monthly expenses to Discover. BIG MISTAKE. One of these was the fee on my storage unit for $145 every 21st of the month. Discover froze the Dec 21 charge and suspended my card. WHY? The Oct 21 and Nov 21 charges for the same amount from the same merchant were right there on the account. What could possibly have prompted them to suspect the Dec 21 charge? I called them and asked them to please contact the merchant to ask them to re-run the charge. They refused. I asked them to explain why the charge was flagged as suspicious. They refused.

I have to take the time out of my day to verify that the charge is legit and then call my storage place and ask them to re-run the charge. I cannot trust a card that simply allows itself to go bat-crap crazy and not pay my merchants. What if there had been a late fee? Would Discover have paid it? I cannot have this uncertainty hanging over me. From now on, I will only use Discover for their 5% categories and nothing else.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

My credit is 777, I own my own home without a mortgage. I use 3 credit cards, two from Southwest Visa. One I use for the Frequent Flyer Points, the other

has auto deductions, stays in the house. Last year got a Costco credit card - an extra 2% off of Costco purchases. I pay these off in full every month for 15 years. No late fees ever... and Discover wanted me to sign something so they could check with the IRS to confirm my income for the past 2 years! And, shortly after my application, I began receiving up to 80 emails a days in my spam folder... this could be a coincidence, though wonder. Also when I called to see if the IRS thingie was real, transferred to 8 different departments. AVOID THESE PEOPLE. AVOID DISCOVER.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Discover has violated their own T&Cs and denied my genuine claim stating I returned my item. Returned items definitely are excluded from the price protection and I agree to that, however in my case, the item was NOT returned. I still have the item. Background: I purchased a computer on 10/26/2018 and I submitted my claim on 10/31. I later in the week stopped by at the Walmart store to buy '3 YR Protection plan' on 11/03 for my computer as Discover Card would no longer offer extended Warranty. Instead of just selling the 3YR extended plan to me, the Walmart Manager decided to return my purchase and re-sold it along with the protection plan. This is what he did, and now Discover denied my claim saying I returned my product. NO Discover NO... The item is still with me and I have all the proofs to show I still own the item.

Also I was not aware that just by doing this Discover will deny my claim or else I would have not gone to add protection plan. This is one of the worst customer service, and this shows how this company chose to abandon their customers. I have been using their cards, and now no more... No Discover. Also with such poor customer service, I would hesitate to use Discover ever again. Just want to make people aware of such inconsiderate customer service by Discover even at their Executive levels. When I reached out to them, they simply said, "Yes we understand what you are saying," but Walmart says, I have returned the item. Well, technically that is what it looks, but NO, I still have the item... Who will understand that why this situation happened. No... They won't.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Applied for Discover card and balance transfer. Have good credit, current Amex and Capital One cards. Lived in same home that I own and pay mortgage on in my name for the past 11 years. Solid auto leasing over 15 years. Discover is the only company I have ever had ask for my social security card to prove citizenship. Guess I was flagged due to my Hispanic last name. Wouldn't accept driver’s license, passport, etc. Demanded social security card and after pressing them customer service even openly admitted it was to prove citizenship. Demeaning and racists.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Discover is honestly a really horrible and greedy company. They appear friendly and honest at first glance but this is an illusion. Discover makes an art out of ripping off their customers. They will patiently await for your balance to increase at which point it's too late for you unless you have the cash to pay the full balance at once so you can close this scam card.

After the intro APR expires your interest charges and min. monthly payment will balloon every month until you're no longer to afford to keep forking over more and more money just to keep up with interest charges. Even a low balance of under a $1000 becomes unmanageable. At this point they will start hounding you and have no interest in helping to get your account back on track. They will sue you as fast as they can and tack on countless late and court fees. I was happy with this card for a year or so until their scheme for maximizing profits by ripping off customers became horribly apparent. They will legally steal your hard earned money one way or another. Please Trust me. Stay clear of this company and you will thank me later.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

As a single mother, you look for ways to lower debt and keep your finances in order. Like many, I had some debt and I was tired of paying a fee each month on that debt. I was tantalized by the Discover card commercials that portrayed card holders like family and offered no fees and 0 APR for 14 month. This sparked my interest as I knew that I could pay off my debt way before 14 months. The no fees sounded fabulous to me. So I applied for the Discover card and put in for a transfer. The transfer had a fee, of course, but it was less in the long run than getting a fee every month. I received my new card in the mail and I activated it immediately. I noticed that the transfer was not on my information. I gave it a couple days to see if it would show up. I had not received any notice that Discover was considering or even processing the transfer.

When I still didn't see that the transfer was on my statement, I thought that I may have done something wrong. I applied for the transfer again and it worked, but so did the first transfer. Frantic, I saw that I not only had a credit of 3000 on my old credit card, but I acquired more fees!!!! Upset, I called Discover card company and explained what had happened. They apologized for the happenings, but they explained that they could not put the transfer back, nor could they take that the extra fee off. I started to get really angry. I spoke to a supervisor and he too said the same thing the customer service rep. did, but added that I should be excited to have extra money on the old card for the holidays coming up. I could have reached into the phone and strangled him. I don't need extra money, I need to get myself out of debt.

I called the bank that my old credit card is with and it is going to take 30 days to get that money from the credit card to my bank account so that I can turn around and pay off one of my mistakes. Discover does not treat you like family nor do they care about their customer. I have learned from my mistake and will pay off my debt as planned then cancel the card with Discover. They will NEVER get my business again!!! Frustrated Single Mom.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have been a Discover customer for about 12 years, first with a credit card and more recently with checking and savings accounts. I always loved Discover and thought the company was the total package with great card benefits, helpful account features and excellent customer service. I often recommended Discover services to family and friends who frequently took my advice and opened Discover accounts.

However, over the past year I have noticed that the company's customer service has really gone downhill. I understand that with fraud on the rise, security measures are getting tighter. However, now it is nearly impossible to get anything done quickly and efficiently. And it has become a huge inconvenience. I have had some account issues arise lately that I have reached out to Discover's customer service about, both on the phone and through the secure messaging system. The phone conversations have lasted for far too long and still didn't resolve the issues. And the secure messages I have received were usually (eventually) helpful in figuring out why certain issues were occurring, but failed to help me resolve the issues.

What really set me off and prompted this review is that I sent Discover a message letting them know how frustrated I was with the service and how difficult it had become to complete simple tasks, and all I received back was a generic response providing Discover phone numbers and examples of things that could be done on DiscoverBank.com. I am very disappointed in this response and in the way Discover has operated lately. I have started the search for a new credit card, checking account and savings account. I certainly would not recommend Discover to anyone now.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have been with Discover card for a long time. I have not been making a lot of money for a while, self employed so my income varies, but I have been staying current with payment. I have reached out to them many times for help. They have never been able to give me real help. They gave me the number to money management international, which I called. I had what I thought was a useful phone call, and was told to call Discover back with the new information, which I did. When I got a hold of the people at Discover it was the same old story, there was nothing they could do for me. The worse part was when I got transferred to Curtis, his advice was simply pay more on the account, I had to remind him the reason I was calling is because I could not make a full payment and was asking for assistance, out of 2700.00 in payment this year only 1000.00 was applied to the balance.

Apparently taking 1700.00 out of 2700.00 is as helpful as they can be, since a year ago when they shut the card off and put me in this special account, with a APR of 13%, that was no help. They say I have to wait another 12 months to be eligible for any other programs. My advice is to find a different card, Discover card is set up to keep you down if you make any mistakes with them regardless of how long you've been with them. Very uncaring people on the phone, they say the same thing regardless who you talk to.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

After receiving advertisement at home sign up for Discover Card and submitting my info online only to receive first notification via email about the decision made for me to get Discover IT card. Then the very next day after receiving card in the mail I get the first email notification advising me my line of credit is $2000. After calling credit card customer service department to close the credit card because I was dissatisfied with line of credit And the fact that I was deceived to get this card without receiving any notifications to how much I was going to be my line of credit, the person on the phone was not able to determine if I closed my account.

Of course without using and receiving any notification to how much was going to be my line of credit the person on the phone was not able to determine if I closed my account. Of course without using I was charging my credit card that affect my credit score. Mr. ** didn’t give a ** and started to read off the script and asked me to hire a financial advisor to tell me if closing my credit card account but affect my credit score. Please tell all your friends not to fall under the spell of Discover. Now I’m stuck with their card with USD $2000. I can’t even use it because I’m not stupid to use it nor I can cancel it. Such an unprofessional staff. Very deceptive methods to make you apply for the card and once you’re in good luck, you’re never out.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have owned this card for a long time. My payment history was on time if not early. I quit using the card because the main store I used it at went out of business. I paid off the card. Apparently a delayed billing to my account slipped through without notice. I did in fact forget to update the email address on the account. So a $19 charge went unnoticed by me for 6 months. At no time did Discover reach out to me by paper or phone after running $100k through the card for many years. I found out when I noticed my credit rating dropping. Their response; "Sorry this happened. Thanks for paying your bill." Done with this card.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This will most likely fall on deaf ears, but this company is a joke with their crappy customer service. It started a few weeks ago when my wife was on their website paying our bill and there was a warning for us to call in to discuss a possible breach to our account. So, I called Discover to discuss this warning we got, mind you that we never got a call, email or a letter, and I was worried as to what may have happened. It turns out, that a company I used my card with may have had a data breach and my card could have been one of those affected by the stolen data. Now, this is where it went south for me. Discover acknowledged the issue and already issued me a replacement card and canceled my current one. I was upset that it took for me to place the call to them to find this info out and to top it all off, they will not tell me who the company was which is BS as why would you protect these thieves and not your own customer.

Their answer was that it is their choice to withhold this information from their customers which is why they issued me another card. Ok? But what about my other cards that can be stolen like theirs if I continue to use this unknown company again in the future and it's obvious that they didn't care about their customer and only this other lowlife company who stole the data. So, in anger, I told the supervisor that I wanted to cancel my account and I'll take my business elsewhere. Of course, he didn't even try to save the account and began to ramble some gibberish I didn't understand and said, and I decided during the way phone call to not close the account as I wanted to speak to someone else about the issue, but it was too late, he said what's done, is done.

I said how is that so when we're still on the call and I didn't want to close it or understand the gibberish he was spewing, he stated that I didn't hear him and it's too late. I then called the executive office to complain and after they reviewed the issue they too said there is nothing that can be done. I find this all to be BS. You're telling me that if one of your staff closes an account by mistake, that's it? Nothing can be done? After spending thousands of dollars with them, this is what you get. No compassion or care in the world to your needs. I'll be sure to pay off the balance, so they don't get an extra dime from me in interest.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Please, I beg you to choose one of the other many credit card companies available to do business with. This is honestly what happened to me. Well, I was a card member since 2004, and I never had a late or missed payment. However, I decided to close this joint account with my husband since we were going through a divorce. The payment was made in full at the end of July, this year, to pay the card off completely, and on August 2nd, this year, I even called Discover to be sure that there wouldn't be any other fees or interest added to the account as well as to confirm that the account was closed, which had also been previously requested prior to the payoff to ensure that no other charges would be posted to the account.

Discover ensured me over the phone that the account balance was at zero, there were no other charges coming through, and there were no additional fees or interest that would post to the account. The representative even said that everything had been taken care of for this account, and there was NOTHING ELSE we needed to do. Well, I just got an email alert from my credit monitoring that my credit score had decreased. I checked it to find that my credit score had dropped almost 100 POINTS! Yes, 100 POINTS due to a late payment from Discover.

I immediately called Discover to find out from them that INTERESTINGLY enough on just the day after I spoke with them on August 2nd, August 3rd, this year, there was an interest fee added to the account for approximately $21, which I had no idea about since Discover never sent me a bill for this interest via regular mail, email, nor text. Well, this approximately $21 in interest that was added to this closed account damaged my credit, and there was NOTHING Discover was willing to do about it.

To continue their fraudulent, sneaky, and underhanded scheme, the very phone call from August 2nd that would've proved that their representative told me that there would be no additional interest or fees added to the account, according to them, wasn't able to be pulled, because AFTER 60 DAYS, THE SAME amount of time it takes to report the late payment to the credit bureau, all phone calls and conversations customers have with them are deleted! Call them to verify this for yourself! What does Discover have to gain? Getting rich off of the additional fees being added to the initial fee that they didn't want to tell you about in the first place. I hope you're following me. If not, trust me on this, go with another company.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Discover Card…employees and management were beyond corrupt IMHO and based on what I went through. I purchased ProtonVPN service through PayPal using Discover Card as the source of funding and that was when the nightmare started. I did not receive the service and since Proton was unresponsive I put in a dispute. Proton closed my account and refused to refund. I put in a claim, Proton said I had to close the claim to get the refund and then a crooked employee at PayPal told me the same thing which is strictly against PayPal policies when addressing a customer claim. I put in a chargeback through Discover. A month later Discover reversed the chargeback without emailing or mailing me.

I called their Salt Lake City and a female employee in customer service confirmed they had gotten an inadequate response from PayPal – she said just having my name and credit card information does not make it a valid charge. She reinstated my chargeback against Proton/PayPal. A month later once again Discover reverted the chargeback to me. I called in and two male employees in customer service told me tough luck despite the fact that even PayPal had found in my favor. They told me to resolve this with PayPal. I called and talked to PayPal's US manager. He confirmed that they found in my favor and had sent the funds back to Discover card. I called Discover back and spoke with another female employee in customer service. She investigated and then told me she had good news that the PayPal documentation ruled in my favor and that the investigation was closed.

Discover strangely enough made this a courtesy adjustment. Odd but at least I got my money back. I also received an email confirming that the investigation was closed and they found in my favor. A month later I checked my account and Discover had once again reversed the chargeback and had written that the charge was valid in disputes. I called in and spoke with a male employee and was told there had been another response from PayPal which I proved to him was a complete lie. He could produce no documentation from PayPal proving his claim. I registered a complaint with the CFPB. The charge again went away and Discover magically produced all the letters I was supposed to have received – also a lie. Disputes still showed charge valid.

I complained to their corporate offices and their investigation was a complete farce. Discover never took any action against the male employees that lied and refused to put me through to a supervisor and corporate admitted they did not know why. They tried to browbeat me as to the charge being valid and lied about how PayPal processes chargebacks. I finally cancelled the card. So are employees at Discover siphoning off money and keeping it off the books if they get PayPal funds and then claim they did not get them? IMHO they are one of the most dishonest lending institutes in the US besides PayPal. The total time frame from charge to dispute to claim to chargeback to final refund to canceling the card… March 2018 to October 2018... Seven months! Avoid this scam credit card company at all costs!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I opened a Discover card because we were in the process of purchasing a new home. We needed to purchase appliances and several items for the home. Since we had quite a bit of purchasing we needed to do, we wanted to take advantage of their cash back matching. When I opened my card, they gave me an exceptionally low credit line. The credit line they gave me was 1/10th of what my other credit cards had which made absolutely no sense. My credit is prefect, no late payments, paying every account in full every month as well as my credit score being in the 800s. I was very upset by this but hey, I figured I could make it work.

I asked them if I overpaid the account to make my purchases if that would be okay. I made several calls each to different agents confirming this could be okay (to cover my basis and have records of my calls) and was told by every single agent it was fine. So I overpaid the account by several thousands of dollars and proceeded to make my appliance purchase. In the store my purchase came up declined. I called Discover to find out I could not make the appliance purchase and was limited to my credit line no matter how much I overpaid the account. I was livid and embarrassed. I proceeded to make the purchase with another card just fine.

I then asked Discover to send back the overpayment. I made several requests and every single request was completed wrong and it took weeks and weeks as well as daily calls to Supervisors to finally get this processed. When it was processed, they not only sent the refund via electronic refund, but they also had cut me a check.

The double refund now put my account over my credit line and this was reported to the credit agencies which caused my credit score to drop 100 points. (I repeatedly called them and asked them to put a stop payment on the check. This was a nightmare as well. I never did or had the intention to cash the duplicate refund and told them I would send the check right back to them as soon as I received.) To this day I am still trying to clean up this mess and fix my credit because of them. I ended up closing my account after only having the card 3 months because they can't get their act together and my account has been a complete and total disaster. Stay away. Stay away. Stay away. This company is so incredibly incompetent.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018
Well, to start, I gave Discovery a 1 star due to the fact that a client of mine that I signed up last week made a false claim that he never received product from my company, and he signed up for a service that required abandonment fee, and he received the service. After he got the service, he called and cancelled. And Discovery has rewind the whole fee, not only they rewind it, but however, they never responded back after PayPal actually sent them the contract reflecting the services that he requested. So, it was an abandonment fee which is non-refundable for such services that I provided to the client which he received at the time of him paying.
Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I called to tell them I was going to be a few days late with my loan (10 days) and they suspended my credit card account. They neglected to tell me this action would adversely affect my credit card account. I spoke with 4 people and none of them delivered a consistent excuse as to why I wasn't told. Customer Service is horrible and they really don't care about their cardholders. They are on a persistent money grab!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Switching 'Discover it' card to 'Discover it Mile' card gave me huge trouble. A week before I called to account manager through ** this phone number, his name was John. He gave wrong information about switching 'Discover it' to 'Discover it Mile' card. Actually he informed me that I can get all offers that was in 'New Discover it Mile' card even I switch 'Discover it' to 'Discover it Mile'. So, I switch the card and I purchased my cruise ticket and air tickets of total amount $2600.00. And after a week later I called to Discover card account service ** and I got information that I will NOT get any offer as in the New Discover it Mile card.

That info made me in stress and big trouble because my plan was to pay back that $2600 within 3 to 6 month (Actually in new card offer APR 0% for 14 month). So, the bad thing is if I could not pay that amount they will put APR 27% so I requested to manage all offers in my switched card but they denied. And unfortunately I canceled that switched Discover it Mile and reverse into Discover it card. That made me huge trouble, stress and I don't know how to pay that $2600.00 coming statement. That was the one of worst customer service of Discover credit card company. So, please do not trust this company!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was very happy for MANY years, but when I opened a checking account OMG!!! It's a different department and it's NOT wonderful! Nothing is done like any other bank in the entire world. Their rules and regulations are created to an excessive extreme. I feel like I've been through the ringer with the CIA. They send Emails that sound like the next step will be easy, BUT they NEVER address the reason why you contacted them in the first place & don't explain what steps you have to go through & all the INTENSE security hoops they make you and your co-signer to jump through and then having to go through their "Security dept" and then after being tortured by that department, they transfer you to ANOTHER department to go through most of the same questions. The intensity is WRONG!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I applied for a Discover card. The representative who helped me fraudulently transferred the total balance from another card without my authorization and then Discover refused to credit me the transfer charges after I contacted them and I requested the money be transferred back to the original card.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Was pre-qualified and given choice of five types of cards. Applied and was sent a phone number to call to complete application. Called and was given a total runaround, with excuses that the system was updating to the fact that application was processing and couldn't be canceled. When I requested to cancel the application when they would not give me an answer. Now there will be a hard inquiry on my credit report and no approval or denial. I think I've been scammed. Beware, after these people get your information and tell you that you're pre-qualified, they then will take your information and be done with you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had just about every credit card there was before the real estate market crashed in 2008. I had perfect credit. I was in real estate so I lost pretty much all my income and went through a divorce at the same time. I took out my entire 401K trying to pay my bills. Every other creditor worked with me. Discover took out a Judgment on my house for thousands more than I owed them so I couldn't refinance to lower my payments to be able to pay my other debts. I tried to call the law firm that handled it to settle it and they never called me back... When I called them back they had transferred it to another law firm that would never give me an answer to my settlement.

American Express is the best credit card I've ever had. They were amazing when I had them and realized they had made plenty of money off me over the years and didn't hit me while I was down. I am still struggling to make my house payment because I can't refinance it and lower it because Discover card won't even call me back. They've already written it off. Do yourself a favor and don't get a Discover Card.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Back in 2014 when I was in college I received a letter with code in the mail in regards to a Discover credit card. I called asking for more information with my mom. I told the rep I wasn’t interested but my mom was and she would like to open an account for herself. The rest of the call went well. They asked my mom for all her information, social, address etc. Told her they successfully opened an account under her name with a 3000 credit line. Come to find out 3 years later when I’m applying for my last year of college I get denied from the bank for a loan because I had an outstanding balance with Discover that my revolving credit was too high for my income.

I immediately called my mom in frustration as to what I could. Turns out this was her debt being reported on my credit so we called Discover together to report and ask what was going on. Apparently the card was opened as a joint account under my name with my mom as an authorized user! I told them that was incorrect and should have never been that way since they never got any of my information only my mother's. Apparently they used the offer code to do it without asking me for my consent to open a card. They were sending it for further review. December of 2017 asked my mom to stop her payment on the account and pay when it was resolved and switched to her name.

Well May/June of 2018 comes around. I receive an email of a late payment in my name. I call angry again only to find out they were not able to fix anything because I didn’t have proof. They then hit us with interest and fees and I told them no they needed to fix it so they sent it in again because at this point I had it. I was unable to finish my schooling because of all this and they were reporting to the credit Bureaus a limit of 500 now and an over the limit of 2500!! The total of 3000 I had before in which they couldn’t fix because they supposedly lowered my limit after a yearly review and now showed over 250% on my credit!

Worst thing is as of today August of 2018 I found out they closed the account and issued me another one so I had no knowledge of this ever. I never once received anything in the mail nor proof as to me opening an account. I have asked to hear the recording and they said they do not keep them for more than 90 days. I have been fighting with them for almost a year. I was told today that they can remove me and change it to my moms but she had to pay $1000 upfront and her credit line would be $500 so she would still show over $1500! They will not fix their error and are going based off of notes from different reps and are stating I am in the wrong. This is ridiculous. They have ruined my credit drastically.

I have spoken to many people today and have had it. One rep named Courtney was so rude and gave an attitude and told me “so” while another named Taylor was just flat out rude. Told me she didn’t know how the account went over the credit. When I said, "How if it was frozen and you guys should have stopped usage once it went over," that was their excuse for changing the credit line which they did when they closed the account under fraud for no reason and did a balance transfer to the new account. They are lucky this was my mother and no one else. I have never been issued a credit card with my name on it. My mom was the only one getting letters and she was the only one making purchases and payments. They never needed me for anything. Made no sense how they did this. Worst company ever!! Refusing to fix their mistakes. Please don’t go through the same thing. :(

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

After being a loyal Discover card member for 30 years, we canceled our cards. Approximately 25 years ago, after my husband and I were married, I added a new account for the two of us. Somehow, Discover listed my husband as the account holder with my social security number. Today, we received a call from Discover that our joint account had a hold because my husband's name did not match the social security number. Furthermore, if we did not provide proof that it was his social security number, the account would be closed and we would have to reapply.

After 15 minutes on the phone and explaining the matter, we were informed that there was nothing that she could do. After this conversation, I promptly called and also canceled my card that I have had for 30 years. Again, I was informed that there was nothing Discover could do. Can Discover afford to lose long-time customers, who spend a significant amount of money and pay their bills?

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information