Discover

Discover

3.1/5 (406 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I just got done applying for the Discover It cash back credit card. I was approved for $1000 which is to be paired with the Capitalone Quicksilver card. I have 10 months of credit history. I had a student loan written off plus I bunged an American Express card over a lost rental car back in the day. I skipped out on a few other things and had collection agencies after me until they finally gave up on me. With this kind of credit history it's a wonder I can get any kind of unsecured credit but Discover and Capitalone have really came through for me.

My credit cards are strictly for credit score work and I've reaped those benefits on my auto insurance. I've saved a lot in that department this past year. The extra $1000 credit I'm getting will help since my girlfriend and I like to stay in hotels, rent cars, etc. It's easy for me to utilize little available credit and pay it off early watching my score climb.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I had problems with my card being declined while paying for my tuition and I had the most helpful girls, Miss Paige and Miss Margie. I couldn't find a way to compliment them on the company website so hopefully they see it here one day but thank y'all so much! Y'all were both very sweet and helpful. <3 If you ever call Discover customer service I hope you receive these two wonderful women!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I have been that pain in the **, calls all the time, nitpicking, obsessing customer and Discover has gone well above and beyond every single time to resolve my issue(s)! All representatives are incredibly knowledgeable, well spoken, and go out of their way! Employees for most other companies will play the “other department” blame game, pass you back-and-forth, say they don’t know (and not offer or try to find out), blame other companies, or even put you on hold for long times only to be disconnected in the end. Instead these employees work together across-the-board, communicate with each other well, and take really good notes (so I’m not repeating myself).

I am not making this review based on one, two, or even three experiences, but many, many experiences and this has consistently been my experience. Every single person I’ve spoken with has been from the United States and all have been incredibly knowledgeable, well trained (you can tell they cross train in other departments), and respectful. When they didn’t know the answer to something, they found out; all I had to do was ask! They always have a good attitude and continue to go out of their way even when you are frustrated. Best of all, there are never long holds or endless automated systems! A couple days ago I actually was transferred correctly to three people for two separate problems and in under 8 min, my first issue resolved and I was already speaking to the last one for my other problem (which was resolved only a couple minutes later) —MIND BOGGLING!!!

Also of note, I’m not treated well bc I am some top tier client. I started with my Discover It secured credit card and gave them $200 of my own money to borrow. I paid off my balance every month religiously and without me even having to ask, they refunded my $200 and increased my credit limit to $1000 six months later.

I’m realizing this sounds like some fake review (at least that’s what I’d think if I read it), but rest assured Discover doesn’t need to seek out positive reviews, they’re already there. This has just been my experience. I felt compelled to make this review because I have been that person that doesn’t review often, but when I do it’s usually negative and I felt compelled to do this one because they have truly pressed me that much!! There are only two other companies I have done business with in the world (not credit card companies) that have impressed me with their customer service, but Discover tops them both! Please keep up the good work Discover! You have made a customer for life (provided you don’t change) and you are RARE! Thank you for making this part of my life as simple as it should be! I am truly grateful!!

Original review: June 7, 2021

Customer service always helpful, friendly and quick to resolve any issues and/or answer any questions. I had a question about some charges to my account and they were more than helpful to investigate while I was on the phone to help clear up my confusion and resolve any issues I had. This is the best credit card and bank I have ever worked with.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I was skeptical about opening an online bank account, not knowing if they were safe. However there was a really good promotion to open an account so I decided to give it a try. I absolutely love Discover Bank. While interest rates are not as high as they were when I opened my account I still like the bank and highly recommend them.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Systems from the 90s - Discovery is a complete joke. I have both credit card and Student Loans, and they have all my information. I tried to open a savings account, and first, I can't use my Credit Card account, which is already insane. Then, I fill up everything (all information is correct, I've submitted multiple applications and checked it all several times), yet Discover will always prompt me to call them to "finish this together". I've spent over an hour in calls, and customer service is unable to figure out why my application didn't go through. They've cross checked all sorts of information and wasted my time on several occasions, and still didn't manage to make it work. What a joke.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Applied for a, Discover credit, after they sent me the card they needed identity verification, okay, I sent out all the documents they needed by the 4/25/22, they sent me an email to contact them asking me to resend the document 4/27/22. I received an email 5/4/22 asking me to contact Discover again. They need me to resend the bank statements for three months which I’ve submitted several times. I finally told them to cancel the card, I don’t need the runaround, the worst credit card company I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I recently had a dispute with the Discover card team. The merchant did not deliver the service that I paid for and refused to issue a direct refund. So, I raised the dispute with Discover (the card I used to pay for the service!) I got a temporary credit when I raised the dispute. After 12 weeks, I was so surprised to find the Discover dispute team mentioning: "we found out that the transaction has been found to be valid!" Seriously Discover dispute team?!!! What about the service that I was not provided for the valid transaction I paid for?! I called the dispute team and chatted with them several times. The last supervisor mentioned to me: sorry, the merchant has responded to us and informed us that the transaction was valid and asked me to seek the dispute outside Discover!!!

So, after 25 years of being a loyal customer to Discover, I decided to end this one-sided relationship right there. I just found out the true color of Discover customer service... They really don't care about their customers the way they claim. They believe that their cashback is going to keep all customers chasing them. This might've been true back in the 90s, Discover team: "wake up!" Many other cards have better cashback than yours and provide waaaaaay better (and genuine) customer service than the one you claim to have. I closed my account permanently without any intention to re-use the Discover card in my lifetime again!!!

Original review: April 28, 2022

Very bad experience with Discover. Yesterday I made a wire transfer request and discover told me they would call me in 24 hours, if they need additional information from my side. So I was standing by all day long. Today I called them to check the transfer status, discover told me they need my confirmation to process the transfer, but nobody contact me while I was waitting for their call!! And the wire transfer is just paused there!!! The worst part is today I discussed with the representative if they can do something to speed up since we already waste a whole day, she just left me on the line for almost one hour without any response!!! Seems like discover do not take their customer seriously, the way they treat customer is rude and irresponsible!!

Original review: April 27, 2022

When I retired, I made the mistake of closing all my credit accounts. Also, I paid off my home so I had no mortgage. The bottom line was, in a few years my credit was gone. Since I saw my income was better than I thought and my payments less than I had anticipated, I needed an item that required credit. But, I had no credit. So, I had to start over. I knew I'd likely have to get a secured card to start with and pay it off monthly.

So, I applied for a Discover card. Their customer service is pretty good. Otherwise, but that's where it ends. I applied for and received a secured card. One week after getting the card - no, I think it was the same day - I got by email a request for an IRS form to prowl around in my income taxes for the last two years or I would lose the card. Well, I'm not about to subject myself to that so I closed my account. Did not even activate the card.

I asked when I would get my money back. I closed my account March 30, 2022. Following was my reply: "Thank you so much for holding! Taking a look I do see that you closed the account back on 03/30/2022. It takes up to 2 billing cycles plus 10 days to receive the refund. I hope this information helps. What else can I assist you with?"

If my math is correct, that is about two and one-half months give or take a week or two and not including mail. Oh, they send you a check. They do not put it back into your checking account where they insist on getting it from you. If you apply for a card from them, any card, expect the IRS form. If you want to allow them to dig into your taxes and you want to do it, that's your business. But be aware it will happen that way. If you don't want it, don't waste your time. I now have a much better card and it is not secured and it has a nice line of credit.

Discover Card author review by Danni White

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Discover Company Information