Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Discover
3.43/5

Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I have had my Discover card since 1992. I have had to contact their service dept only a few times but every time a real person (English speaking) answers the phone, they are polite and very helpful. Recently I call the service line. I thought a payment did not get posted. It turned out to be my fault. They reversed the associated fees and interest for me anyway. I paid the balance amount immediately.

In general I do not recommend going into debt. I use this card for everything I can and pay the full amount every month. However, if someone is responsible and needs a good card, I always recommend Discover. Their service is great. They have no foreign transaction fees (which is a pain for expense accounts). Their fraud protection is the best (I never complain when I get a call from them for a suspect charge). And customer service is great (worth mentioning twice). I highly recommend Discover Card.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I opened a credit card account with Discover, a year ago. I have a better credit score. The customers service is more than excellent. The app is really easy to navigate. Cashback's credit card is wonderful. Each day and at your anniversary date with a simple click the menu let you do almost anything you want. If you want to request more limit, a simple click and you have more credit limit in a second!! Discover make it easier to do everything you want, compare to any other bank I know. I love it, and I am so grateful to have this credit card cashback at 5%. Discover is more than excellent. At least with me!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I think Discover Online is a great banking institution with great rates on their savings and CD accounts. I have transferred money back and forth to another institution and it is always timely. The few times that I have needed/used customer service, I spoke with an actual human, which was great! Reps were very professional and my issue was resolved. I hate giving a five rating because I believe there is always room for improvement, but Discover is pretty darn close to perfect for my needs. I have already referred other people. Also you can establish an online beneficiary!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

My Discover credit card is the best credit card I’ve ever owned. I opened my Discover account a little over two years ago. My only disappointment is that I didn’t apply for a Discover card sooner. I assumed that many merchants wouldn’t accept Discover. To my surprising in the two years I’ve run across two merchants that did not accept Discover. I’m able to use my Discover card with all my purchases.

I enjoy my cash back rewards, low interest rate, credit limit, refer credits, and most importantly the service I receive from their employees. Each time I had to call to speak to a representative I was greeted by a live person within a minute. Every person I spoke with was knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful. I recommend Discover credit card to everyone!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have owned many credit cards over the years to take advantage of 0% interest, discounts, etc. Discover is by far the best credit card company I have worked with. I've had the pleasure of utilizing them as my main credit card for over 10 years now. Their 5% cash back reward program is awesome and their superior customer service is next to none. I'm always connected to someone quickly who I can understand and who understands me. Credit disputes have always been resolved in a timely manner.

Most importantly, Discover notifies ME when they suspect fraudulent activity on my account. I keep a close eye on my account, but most recently, Discover reached out to me when someone had hacked into our Chipotle account and was racking up multiple transactions on our Discover card. Once I verified the activity was not ours, Discover immediately stopped any more transactions from hitting our account, closed our account, and issued new cards that were at our doorstep in two days.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

In October I called and activated my payment protection due to life hardship. A 2 weeks later contacted about a late payment of $500. After I paid it, I was told I won’t owe till February. Nope, not true.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I called several times to unlock my web portal. They stated they have called and me a voicemail and email. Now, I'm stuck. Unable to make payment. Going to cancel this annoying Discover card for sure. I will put them on my list.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I didn't realize that Discover can just close your account whenever they want to. I would understand if I didn't pay my bills or was even late. I have never even been late on a payment let alone not pay my bills. They said it was due to inactivity, but that can't be true. They cut my credit line from well over $10,000 to $500! Then, I used it before the close date. They said they sent in a letter. I called them before it has even been closed and they refused to keep it open. I am not sure how that can happen. It is probably in the fine print somewhere that I agreed to. There has to be a loophole for them. But, really? Save this for the people that don't pay their bills. Canceling my account affects MY credit. At least leave the small credit line and not cancel it. But, they insisted that there were no options other than canceling.

For a company that pretends customer service is a priority, this demonstrates the opposite. I would have rather had a $100 credit line than have the closed account hit my credit. This is just wrong in my opinion - especially the part where it wasn't even up for discussion. In the end, don't even get a Discover Card. It isn't accepted everywhere and you would be better off with another company if they are willing to hurt your credit over helping a customer that has never even been late on payments.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I’ve been an active account holder with Discover for a couple of years. I got an email today telling me my account had been closed due to inactivity. I called customer service and they mentioned that the only state that receives any type of notice before they close inactive accounts is California.

I don’t use my credit card that often—mostly emergency situations. They can’t reopen a closed account and my only option was to reapply for a card.... meaning a hard inquiry on my credit report. NO THANKS! A card company I used to love, now is on my ** list.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

This is a huge complaint against Discover Card for their Failure to RED FLAG a Dispute of 10.40 on a so called Cash withdraw of a CREDIT BALANCE of 123.03 due to a return from my sister to the Bradford Exchange. I had a ZERO balance with them when this credit balance became available. I called our local office and asked the fastest way to get this money to send back to my sister. I was told by them to go to the nearest ATM and withdraw the money and I would be charged a fee of 3.00 by the bank to cover their usage. At no time during this conversation was I told that Discover Card would also charge a Cash Withdraw fee of 10.40 at a 27.47 APR rate.

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information