1.31/5
Based on 76 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

654 Discover Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I recently received an email stating that my Discover credit card had been closed. This was surprising since I always paid more than what was due, always paid on time and recently paid off my balance. When I called to inquire, they stated that they do credit checks every year and found that my debt had increased, I had several delinquent accounts and a few new accounts that I had opened.

I went in and check my credit report and while yes my debt had increased as I had to get a newer vehicle, along with a few other needed household appliances that can’t really be done without. I have never had a delinquent account although Wells Fargo shows that I was late one payment over a year ago which is also not true and I have been fighting ever since. This is very disappointing as I had always been a very good client who works very hard to pay all her bills on time. This is also very upsetting since this will only serve to bring my credit score down even more.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Approximately a month and a half ago I applied for a Discover It card. I was immediately approved for a $8,000 credit limit. I used the card once to purchase a rental car. I paid more than double the minimum payment before payment was due. I moved shortly after. I called and gave a change of address. I was directed to the fraud department where I was asked several questions to prove my identity. I answered them correctly. Without explanation, my card was suspended. I was told to fax my social security card, ID, and a utility bill. I expressed my concerns about sending my entire identity over a fax machine. They didn’t care.

I didn’t have time to do it right then because I was in the middle of a move. I called a week or two later and spoke with a representative to get a fax number and see how to resolve the issue. He told me that he had taken care of the issue and that it was okay to use the card. I didn’t use the card again but got a notice today saying that my account has been closed. I called to talk to a representative. She told me to write them. She refused to give me any other information or explanation. Getting a Discover card was a big mistake and it was a scam. They approve you to help their numbers and then kick you out for no reason. They don’t actually want your business. This is going to negatively affect my credit and I didn’t do anything wrong.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Closed my account without much reason - I tried very hard to keep my payments on time, pay everything in full, etc. Things that would give a good history for my account. I was able to bring my account to $30,000 available credit. All of a sudden my Discover card got declined and I called Discover and they told me there wasn't much information besides it was a "business decision". Wow! Just like that my credit line just got hit with a negative $30,000 credit. The rep told me I could mail them to inquire about the closed account. Not an email or phone number, but snail mail. I guess the way I treat my credit with Discover isn't good enough for them. Even though very disappointed by this I still would like to learn why and improve my credit.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

In a nutshell: Discover Card closed my account--which was in very good standing with no late payments (perhaps ever? At least no late payments in the last few years)--because I didn't send in a copy of my Social Security Card and some other information even though I was in another country at the time! No explanation, and the warning came with very, very little time to do anything about it. I got the information to them as soon as possible, and they just closed it down.

The longer story, just to underscore how poorly they handled whatever they're doing: In the midst of intense traveling to multiple locations (including one location out of the US), my Discover Card was suddenly declined--specifically, when I was trying to take a Lyft to the airport. Discover didn't call me in advance to warn me and tell me what was going on. I called to see if I could resolve what was going on, and after a few minutes, I was kicked off the call because of a fire drill (6/6/2018, approx 5-5:30pm). At this point, I just had to use a different card because I was going to be late to my flight (and indeed barely made it). So I learned after calling back later that I had to send in a copy of my Social Security Card--and I didn't even know at first where exactly it was, because I hadn't used it in years--and some other information.

The guy on the phone said I had been sent a letter; BUT I hadn't received a letter yet, and all of this was due in days--even though I wasn't at home! I sent in everything as quickly as I could (later in June), even enlisting my mom's help in another state to track everything down. Still, without any explanation, they closed my account. When I returned from abroad, I saw the letter that they were referencing; because I was gone for so long, I have no idea exactly when it arrived, but it couldn't have been more than a week before everything was due. Perhaps they sent the letter to my old address even though I updated my address almost immediately after moving in my online Discover portal (about a month before this all happened).

I've followed up with Discover a couple of times, and they won't give me any information about why they closed my account. Someone who responded to my last inquiry said something about reviewing my account and my original customer agreement, which makes me think they decided I wasn't profitable enough and found a way to kick me off of the account--who knows. I had been a customer for over a decade. I made payments on-time. All I can think is that maybe they're struggling financially and offloading less profitable accounts--I have no idea. The lack of information and especially the ridiculous hoops I had to jump through in order to keep my account open even though I was in a different country, only to have my account closed anyway--were infuriating.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

May 24, 2018, I made an online transaction, and just to confirm that the transaction went thru, I called Discover Credit Card company. They informed me that, “No the transaction did not go thru, and that I should go to the physical address to make the transaction.” So I did, using another means of payment. However, when the bill cycle came, the online transaction did go thru, and therefore left me with a big credit card bill. I spoke to the supervisor on the resolution dispute team, and they told me, they couldn’t do nothing about the big bill, even though they gave me the wrong information, and therefore created this headache. Don’t know what to do, but pay the bill... So frustrating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Every single time I have called them they answer in under 2 minutes. They are very professional and helpful. I have switched to Discover for all my banking and have not had to pay any fees in years! Not to mention they have some of the highest interest rates on savings accounts and cash back on debit card purchases. They really go above and beyond for the customers.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

After several years of only minor problems and good service, they've turned into liars and cheats. They just tack on balances $$$ with no explanation at all. Try to hide it behind unnecessary steps, and they stopped posting account balance with each transaction. Online CS is a waste of time. They try to delay or lose your payments IF YOU MAIL THEM IN. I think their system was HACKED but they're still trying to operate with damage data. Often their computers go down and doesn't show them your account details. CS will fake it on the phone.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Not only are the rates outrageous (I have a card with less than half the APR), but it's obvious they don't want to help you with your credit rating. They are only out for the buck and how dry they can squeeze you. The customer service is totally lacking. They are not capable of telling the truth and of course, blame you for the high interest rate. When FICO scores go up and up, interest rates are usually adjusted. When they won't do that, it says a lot about the morals of the company.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I had the Discover IT card for 14 years, and didn't use it for 4 years. Then suddenly they decided they are going to INACTIVATE me and I find out the interest is the highest they have while I have 2 other credit cards with interest rates LOWER than theirs. I tell them this and have to send a letter and get reduced but I guess I still had the date of inactivate hanging over me so I call up to ask some questions as I am thinking of using it and guess what, they INACTIVATED me and when I talked to a supervisor I was basically told I could REAPPLY for their card. As you can see the commercials are BULL, they do not offer competitive interest rates, and there is nothing and I mean nothing exceptional about their card. In other words, they suck. Go to Bank of America or CITIBANK or anywhere but with them!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have been with Discover for over 20 years (that is, Discover has 20+ years’ worth of my credit history) and had a Discover Card that had a $29.000.00 credit limit on it. I then was divorced by ex-wife and was left with an empty house that I needed to refurnish. I stumble upon an offer for a “Discover it” card that among other things, offered me a 5% cash back bonus on all purchases made in the first 90 days, so I signup online and was immediately approved for a “Discover It” card, thinking I will use that card to refurnish my house and get a 5% cash back bonus. THEIR OFFER WAS A SCAM, the most devious scam I have ever encountered in my 65 years on this earth.

What ended up happening is Discover changed my credit line from $29,000 down to $3,000 and told me I couldn’t get my credit - line changed until I had established a credit history with Discover. What the heck – I have been with you for 20+ years, have a FICO over 800 for years running, and you already have a long credit history on me.

I called to get the credit line put back to where I could actually refurnish my house, but was repeatedly told by Discover that their ‘policy’ was that I had to establish a credit history with them before they would consider changing my credit line. Da… “How long does that take?” says I. “90 days” says the Discover supervisor. So I tell the Discover people that I have a creed I live by; “I like to do business with honest people who want to do business with me.” And I now realize that Discover ain’t honest people. Thus this warning to everybody, and thus the reason, after 20+ years of being a loyal honest customer of Discover, I have now cancelled all my cards with Discover, and will never do business with Discover for the rest of my life.

Moral – the “5% cash back on purchases made in the first 90 days” is just a total “bait and switch” tactic that Discover uses to get you to switch to their “Discover It” card. My advice to you is the same as several other people’s review of the Discover Bank company – BUYER BEWARE. DISCOVER HAS TURNED INTO A DISHONEST, UNETHICAL, NO INTEGRITY, SCAM-RUNNING COMPANY. (“What does it benefit a man to gain the world yet lose his soul?”)

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have Discover since 1995, I made a late payment 5 years ago and they are charging me 21% interest even though I have excellent credit. When I called they did not offer to lower the rate, except for new charges in one year. This is exploitative. Do NOT use this credit card.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been with Discover for 16 years, until one day a charge showed up on my card, I disputed, they told me not to worry about the charge. They credited my account. 3 months later, my card was recharged again... To make a long story short, I had to pay 345.00 dollars for something I didn't charge, I paid them off and REFUSE TO EVER USE DISCOVER AGAIN. They have lost my trust after being loyal this company for years. Never again. I am too afraid another charge will appear on my account. Customer service is terrible and doesn't care one bit about their customers. AMERICAN EXPRESS WILL ALWAYS GET MY BUSINESS. Never leave home without it. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. You will be paying for someone else's charge.

Original review: July 9, 2018

After submitting endless documentation for a chargeback, Discover Card favored the merchant because merchant did not submit to Discover any documentation and that means merchant not guilty of any wrongdoing, get a load of that. DON'T USE DISCOVER NO MATTER WHAT OFFERS THEY GIVE YOU!!! DON'T TRUST THEM!!! Get your Visa or MC but forget Discover, do yourself a favor. I thought they were great until the first chargeback in 20 years. Not worth the problem and they don't deserve my trust or endorsement. They cheat you on a chargeback. In order to get their merchants to push and accept Discover Card and grow their base, they will always side with the merchant. They'll let you down as a individual favoring the merchant!!!

It happened to me over a hotel charge!! America's Best Value Bradington, Fl did not respond to the chargeback I started so Discover sided with them, after I submitted FULL documentation. What? That's Discover for you. I charged $3-7K every month & pay it on time always. They sided with merchant and they threw me to the dogs on this chargeback. I stayed 4 nights and the hotel says 6 nights, what a joke. I showed Discover that on their own card the gas & food I paid to get home to NC from Florida the day I checked out. Merchant won't cooperate with Discover on telling them the # of nights I stayed on this dispute so Discover sided with hotel even though I did send in all documentation to discover. Discover says they are a documentation company, THAT IS A BIG JOKE. DISCOVER ONLY SIDES WITH MERCHANTS NOT THEIR FAMILY OR INDIVIDUAL CUSTOMERS!!!

Please no matter what don't use Discover on any important transactions!!! Also no matter what Discover card says they are lying to you that they say they are a documentation company. They are not! I trusted Discover for over 20 years and the first chargeback that it was just $122.00 they let me down, I charge thousands a month and pay it off every month & never late once for 20 years. Compared to VISA or MC Discover is just terrible siding with the merchants and not their family customers. What an experience & bad example of a credit card company. I'M CUTTING IT, PAYING THE BALANCE AND NEVER AGAIN USE DISCOVER. Discover are not trustworthy. My wife and I have discovered! I wish I could post details to show my little chargeback is valid. I can't reveal my identity we all know why. Do not trust Discover Card especially on a chargeback. Thank you for reading.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I’m just really upset with the way Discover has treated me. I’ve had my card for years. It is the first card I opened on the road to building my credit. I’ve never missed a payment and never been late with a payment. I worked so hard to get my credit to where it was and it’s unreal how they just kick you when you're down. Life happens and unexpected expenses come up so there may be a time when your balance is higher than usual, but for Discover to close my account based on the balance of another is not okay. Especially for them to do so immediately after. They did not even allow for a period of correction or for things to be updated.

They closed the account and made a permanent decision that can’t be reversed over a balance was paid down literally a week after they reviewed it. When I asked what happens when they review an account while items are in dispute the answer I got was there’s nothing they can do and I will have to open a new account which is just ridiculous. So now when my accounts are updated and my score would’ve gone back to where it belongs it will now be ruined because of Discover's decision to close my account. It lowers my available credit, ratio, adds an inquiry if I try to open a new account with them, and completely destroys my length of credit history as it was the first credit card I got and I am only in my 20s. So thank you Discover.

Original review: July 6, 2018

For English-speaking people, Discover has the DUMBEST supervisors/representatives working for them. I had my card hacked. They made it like it was my fault, thinking I made the unauthorized purchase. I returned an item back to a company who refunded me over 3 days ago. These IDIOTS at Discover never transferred the credit to my new account number. So it wasn't the company who gave me the refund, it was the idiots at Discover who never did anything. I'm done using their stupid card. Chase Freedom is better. Most of them are foreigners who run it, but I have better luck with Chase. PLUS, it doesn't take forever and a day to process your payments!!! And they update much faster than Discover. And another thing, they let me pay a different amount more than the current balance, so I can pay ahead of time, UNLIKE DISCOVER, who only lets you pay the current balance, which is stupid.

Updated on 07/10/2018: They FINALLY moved my credit over from my old account that was hacked, onto my "new" card. I've since transferred my cashback bonus into my bank, and I transferred my credit balance into my bank account. And I have closed my account with them. I will never use Discover Card AGAIN. They are only going to get worse, not better. I don't recommend ANYBODY use Discover card. They are the worst. Very stupid, and incompetent people work for them. Better to have foreigners that do a better job than "English-speaking" people who don't do THEIRS!... Get Chase Freedom! They are much better.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I had changed my account due to fraud. I did place Discover on the list for my bank, asking to push all on the list through. However, I learned Discover was not withdrawn. I also learned that Discover reported/told on me to the Credit Bureau due to late payment. Just know the payment deducted each month is more than the minimum due, if any. I will no longer be using this card, or any other card due to these practices. I will stick with my one card where balances are due each month. This is over. Thank you.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I became ill in January spending February and March and part of April in hospital. I notified Discover that my payments of $50.00/month would continue. They agreed and immediately started running and saying too little with high charges. Then Discover stated that they did not remember such agreement.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I applied for a loan with Discover about a month ago. BIG MISTAKE. I highly recommend never to use Discover for a loan! I needed the loan for periodontal surgery. I was fortunate I found a great periodontist that felt Periodontal Surgery was not needed. I applied to Discover for a Five Thousand Dollar Loan prior to my visit to this Periodontist. GREAT! I have taken loans or had a large balance on my credit card and many payments towards lowering the balance-Bank Of America was great for paying the loan and no longer needed the loan. I wanted to pay about forty dollars today towards my balance on my Discover loan online. No luck.

Discover makes it impossible to lowering balances on Loans and probably their credit cards. Never will I use Discover again! I paid my first payment on my Discover loan and all the payment applied did not lower my balance but was used for interest payments and other fees! Discover Loans are a ripoff only to create more wealth for their bank at the expense of the individual with their fees and interest charges which only prolongs the loan payments! I will never use Discover for anything. I probably will toss the card in the garbage after chopping the card in pieces! Stay away for Discover for anything esp Loans. YOU will regret this as I have already!

Original review: June 18, 2018

When completing an application for credit, nowhere in the information does it state that completing the application will allow their company to retain your personal private information for up to 5-years. It was only after I declined the offer, that I was informed that Discover would keep my personal information on file for 5-years! They asked for extensive personal information including my mother's maiden name, social security number, date of birth, in addition to the general address, email, phone number, etc. I understand the initial need for some of the information when applying, but it should be deleted if I choose not to accept or if I am rejected. At the very least, it should be stated prior to submitting an application. This needs to be dealt with legally! Please, check into this violation of personal privacy. Thank you!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I've been a customer of Discover for the last four years. When I first opened the account I had a zero percent interest rate. However, they do not seem to value a loyal paying customer. I always have my account set up on auto payment, so that I never miss a payment and always pay more than the minimum amount due. Discover took my interest rate from 0% to 24%, after the initial introductory period was over. Quite a scam if you ask me. Beware, if you use this card. Calling customer service to reason with them about lowering the interest rate will not work. So, now I pay 150.00 a month and 106.59 goes to interest only. The bad outweighs the good in their case.

Original review: May 28, 2018

So Discover kept sending me preapproved credit card offers. They sent me 14 to be precise and I finally gave in and applied just to be denied! I have good credit mind you. Why would they waste all that paper and keep harassing me just with the offers just to deny me?!? I'm beyond mad. So I have a ding on my credit from these **. BEWARE DO NOT APPLY FOR DISCOVER!!! THEY ARE FULL OF **.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Holy Toledo. Discover credit card is ridiculous! I CLOSED my account on May 3, 2018, yet I still receive statements that I have a 0.63 credit. A CREDIT OF SIXTY-THREE CENTS. Why they don't just send me the measly credit which costs more for them to print a check is beyond me, and STOP SENDING ME STATEMENTS? Every time I call, I get a stupid runaround about sending a check out and then "I won't receive any more statements". I am so sick of credit card companies in general. I only have one now and it's through my credit union.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My friend and I started a business and he made me an authorized signer on the account. My friend has been with Discover for over 6 years. The first time I used the card to buy supplies for our company the card was blocked which is understandable for the 1st time. However they made us call in a total of 11 TIMES AND COUNTING IN ONE DAY to verify that my friend made me an authorized signer. The ground level people were nice about it, but the higher ups specifically a rep by the name of Sheila was disgusting. Her attitude was foul at best. She lied about not having our calls on file even though before we were transferred to her the rep before said she had ALL of our calls on file.

When my friend confronted her about it, she said the rep before her didn't know what she was talking about. She knew she could have made things easier for us but went out of her way to make things more difficult. We are still unable to use the card! The kicker is that we just paid well over the minimum! EARLY! We were screwed over in a major way today by Discover. We had production costs to settle today and because of Discover we couldn't do that. Thank goodness for Capital One. If you are thinking about getting a card run from Discover. The higher ups are rude and impossible to work with. This company is terrible. Don't waste your energy. We are paying our card off, cutting it, and never using Discover again.

Original review: May 14, 2018

So I got my initial loan with Citi and they either sold it or got bought out by Discover. I don't know. But now I have to deal with Discover for all of my student loan needs. MY INTEREST RATE will NOT stop going up. I have good credit. I own my home. I own my car. I have revolving loans. I have good credit. I'm good with my payments. I paid on my interest before my loan was even in repayment. And now it's in repayment and the payment keep going up because the interest keeps going up. I've called and they only have short term solutions that actually make the problem worse by letting me not pay the principal balance. BS!

They say maybe we can help you refinance but then they constantly deny you and don't tell you why. So I'm sitting with low interest rates on all my other aspects of life and then I'm at 10.25 ** percent for Discover. Get your loan with the federal government so you can actually get some assistance. Discover is private and strict with underwriting and their rules so you'll be screwed in the long run since it's a private loan.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I had a credit line of 10,000 and on April 4th, I called to check my balance. Through the automated line, I was informed that my credit line decrease to 500. This is called chasing the balance. I only charged 250 on the card and kept the card for emergency purposes only. I was never late according to Discover and my credit was near excellent. What kind of business model is Discover using by not informing the customer of decrease by letter or phone? This is really upsetting and at this point they refuse to reestablish my credit line even though I have been a great customer. This is a dangerous tactic that should not be utilized and I think it is illegal in my opinion.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Have been with Discover for 17 years. Had a credit card balance of $52 in March and paid $40 which is $15 over the minimum required. Received statement in April with a $12 balance. Did an online payment but forgot to hit submit button. Never received a late notice. Tried to make a purchase yesterday and card was declined. I was terribly embarrassed. Called Discover and told them I had overpaid by $15 the previous month. Obviously that didn't count. I have never in my life had a card declined and my FICO score is over 800. Bye bye Discover and bye bye to the other two accounts I have with them. They will never have a chance to humiliate me again.

Original review: May 4, 2018

When disputed with an online vital doc purchase, I provided all supported documents to show that merchant did not refund due to order cancellation. However after Discover CAREFULLY reviewed my case, they reposted the charge. After 3 months exhausting effort, I tried one more time with Discover. The CSR in dispute department informed that unless the merchant specifically agreed to refund X dollar in written, there is no way Discover can return the money! How ridiculous of this policy or rules! Most time, we, as customers, could not get those agreement from merchant, which was the reason we started the dispute through own bank! And if there is such an agreement from merchant, then what do you think we ever need to dispute at all? From this, I felt Discover does NOT value their customers. Most important to them is to follow certain rules to protect themselves. Bye bye. Discover. You lost me for sure and forever.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I've been with Discover for the past 2 years until I attempted to consolidate my debt through a third party and Discover saw that and closed my account even though I didn't push through the consolidation. I attempted to call them after putting in your information through the automated answering where to direct your call was never able to connect me. I tried calling them many times but no success. I finally paid them off. Still unable to get connected to anyone. I attempted to apply based on the approval rate through Experian with a credit score high 600s. Discover automatically rejected me not even "review of your application reply". I mean AUTOMATICALLY REJECTED! Geez they already held grudges to already block listed me in their system. What a waste of hard inquiry and waste of time. But I got approved for a lot better credit card that is WORLDLY ACCEPTED OVER DISCOVER.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have a secured card. I use it specifically to build credit. I make a full payment before a week before the reporting date. They quickly take the money out my account but it is not available to me for 10 days. How is this even acceptable??? It’s my money that I’m loaning from myself. And it clearly says, "Your payment was successful," but then my funds aren’t available. How do you explain this. I called and they say they're verifying the payment. It doesn’t take 10 days to verify every payment I make from a legitimate bank. Never had a returned payment. Soon as Monday morning comes I will be cancelling my account. I really had high hopes too.

Original review: April 24, 2018

On 01/04/18 I booked oversees vacation through Expedia, but because of snow storm in NY, the flight was cancelled. And Expedia promised me a full refund, but later on I found a partial refund which includes the flight and transportation, but not the hotel. Then I contacted Discover credit card dispute dept. and explained in details the case. But after 4 months, they settle the case for the merchant (Expedia) favor, and when I called asking for explanation, I was told the merchant is their client as well. The case was poorly handled, and the supportive documents sent to me were completely illegible to read or understand. Discover service is completely unacceptable and unsatisfactory to me in addition to poor customer service.

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information

DE
19950
www.discover.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business