2. Finance

Discover
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.86/5
Based on 1,180 ratings submitted in the last year

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

This is an excellent credit card for their cash back rewards on quarterly categories. The categories change every three months and are not always in areas we use a lot. But when they are, they are worth a whopping 5% back on categories such as gas stations, restaurants, wholesale clubs (Costco, Sam's, etc.), Walmart, E-Bay, or even any online merchant. Past problems of acceptance at some merchants have been resolved: the Discover card is accepted almost everywhere now.

The card is FREE (no annual fee), billing is accurate, and their attention to online and PoP purchases is exemplary. While Discover's interest rates are on the high side, this is no issue for people who pay their balances every month. The cash back rewards are also very easy to use. They can come as balance credits or be applied to PayPal or Amazon purchases... or even as checks if desired. There are also no restrictions on types of purchases they can be applied toward. One caveat: except for the wonderful 5% categories, the cash back reward is comparatively very low on all other purchases, so I only recommend using this card for those quarterly categories.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I've had Discover Card since 1980 and use it all the time. The Cash Back Bonuses build up and I can use them when I want to. I had a problem where someone attempted to use my card number in another state since the charge amount was more than the amount I set up in my qualifiers. I was notified by Discover of the pending charge for approval. I immediately looked at my account and found 6 other charges also just under the amount I had selected. I called Discover at 10:00 pm on a Sunday and explained what happened, within 15 minutes the pending charge was stopped/frozen reported as fraudulent as well as the other 6 charges on my account. My card was closed and I was issued a new one which I received Tuesday. That's what I call service! I've been very pleased with Discover Card over the years and would not be without it!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I had Discover card acct since 1986. Never missed payment or paid minimum required but always paid in full. Lately I disputed charges from NY Sports after I no longer go there: discover deducted the disputed amount one month then added it following statement. I refused to pay those disputed charges so they added penalties and interest on my monthly bill and split the amount on my sons credit report. They call me on daily basis offering me to pay certain $ amount and close the deal. I ask them to put that in writing but they refuse. Now my sons are affected by this: they never made one transaction using discover but they put it on their credit reports. What can I do?

Original review: July 26, 2020

I have had numerous credit cards by far Discover is my favorite one. Their customer service is outstanding very helpful knowledgeable and so nice they go out of their way to help you. I like them so much I added a new card a few months ago. They also pickup on scams when your purchasing something get instant text if you still want to purchase you text back yes. I also love pulling up my accounts online very understandable. One of my cards which isn’t Discover made online account. It was impossible. Come to find out wasn’t just me. They got the kinks out but very rare using that card so didn’t bother to try new site out.

The rewards are great. Every 3 months they change businesses to get cash back and the stores October to December are the stores I always shop at them. It’s Christmas time so your rewards add up quick. I had always heard Discover was great plus my sister loves her locked in interest rate. Discover for me is my favorite and you can always talk to a human 24 hrs even with the virus no one has that surprised me. Five stars. Best charge card by far.

Original review: July 22, 2020

Their internal systems have twice flagged small purchases that weren't mine, were found to be "tests" of the card. Both times I had new cards within 48 hours and everything transferred to the new cards. Also, once there was a mysterious payment of $1 from an unknown bank. I called Discover, they determined to be safe to change the card, and did an investigation. Turned out there was a lot of that going on. To me, the only drawback to the rewards system is that certain merchants/types are highlighted just per quarter for maximum rewards. That means you have to go online and "enroll" each time they change. Would rather have a set % on everything.

Original review: April 14, 2021

For years I thought my Discover Card was great. Then, a car wash membership I'd cancelled over a year ago starting putting charges through. These charges weren't even on my current account number, it was an account number that had been changed more than eight months earlier. I disputed the charges. I called the car wash, they apologized and sent me a coupon for a free wash for my inconvenience.

Discover took the side of the third party billing company and reissued the charges to my account. They sent me a letter stating this and said the supporting documentation was attached. What was attached was five blank pieces of paper with nothing but the Discover logo on them. Blank pages were their supporting documentation. I've had at least a dozen phone calls to various departments at Discover and they've had excuses but no solutions. The car wash has stated that they've issued credits through the third party billing company. My guess is I'll have to hire an attorney to straighten out $140 in fraud because Discover Bank is completely clueless. The card has a $30000.00 credit limit and I've had it for years. I may keep it open by using once a year for $5 in gas just so my credit rating doesn't suffer. However, if you don't have a Discover Card -- DO NOT GET A DISCOVER CARD!

If you're like me and have always enjoyed the card, stop using it. Some of their customer service reps are a delight, some are arrogant, nasty, and rude beyond believe. (One agent in Utah was particularly heinous.) All of the agents have basically been totally useless. There is no way to block a merchant if they claim it's a recurring charge. A card closed months earlier can still be charged and create a nightmare for you. I filed my taxes this month and multiple tax returns took less time than trying to straighten this out with Discover. Cut Up Your Discover Card -- Their 100% U.S. based customer service is only about 12% competent. These are not bright, capable people. These are people who should not be working.

Original review: April 9, 2021

My father just passed away and I was helping my mom take care of his affairs. He got a call from a discover rep and they convinced him to take a $10k loan at 19%. This is when he was sick from Agent Orange. $6k later my mother is in a great debt and when we called them they refused to help.

Original review: April 4, 2021

I cancelled this card two years ago, with zero balance. When I received a new card from them in the mail, I was confused, so I checked my spam folder. Somehow, they failed to cancel the card, and are charging me on a card I've never used. They have no record of my making a purchase, that I can find. My credit score was 806. Now, it's 726. I couldn't figure out why, until this card showed up, and I started investigating. Discover may have done irreparable harm to my credit score, which directly affects my ability to buy a home or invest in business. I'm still just floored by what they've done to me. Can they just get away with this? Have they become another Wells Fargo? Are they even capable of repairing what they've done to my credit score? I don't know, because they only take calls 8-5, Eastern Standard Time, when anyone who wants to contact them will have to interrupt their own work day to deal with the problem Discover created.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Won’t help me or update me on anything... Been 2 weeks since I order a card and have not received it. Nobody seems to help or know where it is or when it’s getting here don’t. Det a credit card with them.

Original review: March 25, 2021

A while back, I used Discover's 0% APR balance transfer offer for eighteen months, and until February 2021 everything was fine. I had an appropriate amount of my Discover credit line remaining on my credit card, and this time I chose to use the 6.99% balance transfer offer for 15 months. When this was completed, I could no longer see my original 0% APR account, as I was planning to pay it off so it would not revert to that usurious penalty rate of 25% or whatever they charge for going over the agreed upon 18 months. That is, any payment whatsoever I made, would go into the new now combined account, and some small portion would go to the older balance. BUT in other words, they said I could not pay off the older balance transfer in full, unless I paid the entire balance before April when the original rate period would end.

They said they could see both accounts on their side of the system, but said I could not see it on my side. They said, THEY WOULD NOT SET UP TWO ACCOUNTS FOR ME. I told them that this was a scam, and I wanted a supervisor. When she came on the phone, she just hemmed and hawed, and said there was nothing she or I could do. So I told her that I would be going to Consumer Affairs and the BBB and Federal banking regulators to report this scam. All of which I have!! I have also gone to another financial firm and paid off this total balance. Goodbye Discover!!!

Discover Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information