1.33/5
Based on 75 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

636 Discover Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

When completing an application for credit, nowhere in the information does it state that completing the application will allow their company to retain your personal private information for up to 5-years. It was only after I declined the offer, that I was informed that Discover would keep my personal information on file for 5-years! They asked for extensive personal information including my mother's maiden name, social security number, date of birth, in addition to the general address, email, phone number, etc. I understand the initial need for some of the information when applying, but it should be deleted if I choose not to accept or if I am rejected. At the very least, it should be stated prior to submitting an application. This needs to be dealt with legally! Please, check into this violation of personal privacy. Thank you!

Original review: June 12, 2018

I've been a customer of Discover for the last four years. When I first opened the account I had a zero percent interest rate. However, they do not seem to value a loyal paying customer. I always have my account set up on auto payment, so that I never miss a payment and always pay more than the minimum amount due. Discover took my interest rate from 0% to 24%, after the initial introductory period was over. Quite a scam if you ask me. Beware, if you use this card. Calling customer service to reason with them about lowering the interest rate will not work. So, now I pay 150.00 a month and 106.59 goes to interest only. The bad outweighs the good in their case.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 28, 2018

So Discover kept sending me preapproved credit card offers. They sent me 14 to be precise and I finally gave in and applied just to be denied! I have good credit mind you. Why would they waste all that paper and keep harassing me just with the offers just to deny me?!? I'm beyond mad. So I have a ding on my credit from these **. BEWARE DO NOT APPLY FOR DISCOVER!!! THEY ARE FULL OF **.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Holy Toledo. Discover credit card is ridiculous! I CLOSED my account on May 3, 2018, yet I still receive statements that I have a 0.63 credit. A CREDIT OF SIXTY-THREE CENTS. Why they don't just send me the measly credit which costs more for them to print a check is beyond me, and STOP SENDING ME STATEMENTS? Every time I call, I get a stupid runaround about sending a check out and then "I won't receive any more statements". I am so sick of credit card companies in general. I only have one now and it's through my credit union.

Original review: May 16, 2018

My friend and I started a business and he made me an authorized signer on the account. My friend has been with Discover for over 6 years. The first time I used the card to buy supplies for our company the card was blocked which is understandable for the 1st time. However they made us call in a total of 11 TIMES AND COUNTING IN ONE DAY to verify that my friend made me an authorized signer. The ground level people were nice about it, but the higher ups specifically a rep by the name of Sheila was disgusting. Her attitude was foul at best. She lied about not having our calls on file even though before we were transferred to her the rep before said she had ALL of our calls on file.

When my friend confronted her about it, she said the rep before her didn't know what she was talking about. She knew she could have made things easier for us but went out of her way to make things more difficult. We are still unable to use the card! The kicker is that we just paid well over the minimum! EARLY! We were screwed over in a major way today by Discover. We had production costs to settle today and because of Discover we couldn't do that. Thank goodness for Capital One. If you are thinking about getting a card run from Discover. The higher ups are rude and impossible to work with. This company is terrible. Don't waste your energy. We are paying our card off, cutting it, and never using Discover again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: May 14, 2018

So I got my initial loan with Citi and they either sold it or got bought out by Discover. I don't know. But now I have to deal with Discover for all of my student loan needs. MY INTEREST RATE will NOT stop going up. I have good credit. I own my home. I own my car. I have revolving loans. I have good credit. I'm good with my payments. I paid on my interest before my loan was even in repayment. And now it's in repayment and the payment keep going up because the interest keeps going up. I've called and they only have short term solutions that actually make the problem worse by letting me not pay the principal balance. BS!

They say maybe we can help you refinance but then they constantly deny you and don't tell you why. So I'm sitting with low interest rates on all my other aspects of life and then I'm at 10.25 ** percent for Discover. Get your loan with the federal government so you can actually get some assistance. Discover is private and strict with underwriting and their rules so you'll be screwed in the long run since it's a private loan.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I had a credit line of 10,000 and on April 4th, I called to check my balance. Through the automated line, I was informed that my credit line decrease to 500. This is called chasing the balance. I only charged 250 on the card and kept the card for emergency purposes only. I was never late according to Discover and my credit was near excellent. What kind of business model is Discover using by not informing the customer of decrease by letter or phone? This is really upsetting and at this point they refuse to reestablish my credit line even though I have been a great customer. This is a dangerous tactic that should not be utilized and I think it is illegal in my opinion.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Have been with Discover for 17 years. Had a credit card balance of $52 in March and paid $40 which is $15 over the minimum required. Received statement in April with a $12 balance. Did an online payment but forgot to hit submit button. Never received a late notice. Tried to make a purchase yesterday and card was declined. I was terribly embarrassed. Called Discover and told them I had overpaid by $15 the previous month. Obviously that didn't count. I have never in my life had a card declined and my FICO score is over 800. Bye bye Discover and bye bye to the other two accounts I have with them. They will never have a chance to humiliate me again.

Original review: May 4, 2018

When disputed with an online vital doc purchase, I provided all supported documents to show that merchant did not refund due to order cancellation. However after Discover CAREFULLY reviewed my case, they reposted the charge. After 3 months exhausting effort, I tried one more time with Discover. The CSR in dispute department informed that unless the merchant specifically agreed to refund X dollar in written, there is no way Discover can return the money! How ridiculous of this policy or rules! Most time, we, as customers, could not get those agreement from merchant, which was the reason we started the dispute through own bank! And if there is such an agreement from merchant, then what do you think we ever need to dispute at all? From this, I felt Discover does NOT value their customers. Most important to them is to follow certain rules to protect themselves. Bye bye. Discover. You lost me for sure and forever.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I've been with Discover for the past 2 years until I attempted to consolidate my debt through a third party and Discover saw that and closed my account even though I didn't push through the consolidation. I attempted to call them after putting in your information through the automated answering where to direct your call was never able to connect me. I tried calling them many times but no success. I finally paid them off. Still unable to get connected to anyone. I attempted to apply based on the approval rate through Experian with a credit score high 600s. Discover automatically rejected me not even "review of your application reply". I mean AUTOMATICALLY REJECTED! Geez they already held grudges to already block listed me in their system. What a waste of hard inquiry and waste of time. But I got approved for a lot better credit card that is WORLDLY ACCEPTED OVER DISCOVER.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I have a secured card. I use it specifically to build credit. I make a full payment before a week before the reporting date. They quickly take the money out my account but it is not available to me for 10 days. How is this even acceptable??? It’s my money that I’m loaning from myself. And it clearly says, "Your payment was successful," but then my funds aren’t available. How do you explain this. I called and they say they're verifying the payment. It doesn’t take 10 days to verify every payment I make from a legitimate bank. Never had a returned payment. Soon as Monday morning comes I will be cancelling my account. I really had high hopes too.

Original review: April 24, 2018

On 01/04/18 I booked oversees vacation through Expedia, but because of snow storm in NY, the flight was cancelled. And Expedia promised me a full refund, but later on I found a partial refund which includes the flight and transportation, but not the hotel. Then I contacted Discover credit card dispute dept. and explained in details the case. But after 4 months, they settle the case for the merchant (Expedia) favor, and when I called asking for explanation, I was told the merchant is their client as well. The case was poorly handled, and the supportive documents sent to me were completely illegible to read or understand. Discover service is completely unacceptable and unsatisfactory to me in addition to poor customer service.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Credit card with Discover Bank closed due to ongoing fraud issues. A new card was generated, told it was delivered by FedEx, actually left at garage door, today at around 4:20pm. It was not there. Tried dealing with Discover to get some sort of resolution with their customer service people, fraud people, card protection people, to no avail. Of course no answers, no resolution. I spent 4 1/2 hours talking to various people within Discover Bank only to get yanked from one department to another, talking to many different people, put on hold for way too long. Had the same situation with another huge bank and after the same runaround, yank game, too many hours spent I decided to close everything I had with that bank.

I had a credit card with Discover for 40 years prior to opening this one which was closed due to fraud. Never had an issue with the one for 40 years. What is going on with credit cards these days, I ask?? Everything about dealing with these banks reeks of fraud, dishonest people. I even question whether, when I am talking to someone employed by that bank, whether or not they actually work for that bank, always asking for some sort of identification, i.e. badge number, ID number. Finding I can't bank with any of these huge banks.

Original review: April 14, 2018

When applying for my card, I was asked to join a live chat through a third party website, that Discover uses. They then asked for quite a bit of personally identifiable information and then continued to tell me whatever I uploaded to verify that I am a student wasn't working. After a 45 minute talk around and a very frustrated mom, we decided to call in. They tried to tell us their reasoning for asking for copies of my SS Card, whether or not I was living in a Boarding School, and other invasive borderline unethical PII questions.

I have been trying to apply for the Student card for over three months now and just barely have I made any progress. This progress comes about after calling in and mentioning the unethical tactics and demanding a decision before we hung up. We mentioned that we would be notifying the FBI if they continued to ask for more personal information. Immediately I was told that what I have previously uploaded was going to work and no longer needed to upload new information as PII and was approved. I was then told how quickly my card would get here and what would come with it and how to activate it. I was not given the opportunity to opt-out of giving them permission to use and/or sell what I provided for PII.

I would definitely recommend calling in overusing the live chat, things get done faster and having a couple of hours to apply for this card. Make sure you have several documents to prove you are a student and who you are or you will not get anywhere in the verification process. Please note that it was very easy to apply for the card, just not easy to verify my information. Not quite sure if will use this card and my trust in Discover is very weak.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I keep making payments on phone and on their website but they always come back and say "it's rejected". Truth is they never send the payment to bank. I inquired and bank told me they haven't received any transaction by Discover!!! Sucks Big time! Takes my time energy and of course mess my life.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am the co-signer on my daughter's student loans. My daughter does not live with me but lives in another part of the country. Apparently her payment for December and January was reversed. I, as the co-signer, was not notified. In February I was notified that the account was in default and that my credit would be impacted. I contacted Discover and Great Lakes, as Great Lakes was handling the loan with Discover. I explained that I was not notified that the loan was in default until after it was in default. I was told that if the payment was made within 30 days of the notification that I received then my credit would probably not be affected. I paid off one of her loans and paid the other loan down by $8K. I also stated that my credit should not be impacted since Discover did not notify me that the loan was in default until after it was in default.

Nevertheless, my credit was impacted. This hardly seems right. Furthermore, I received a letter in the mail stating that x amount of dollars was due by a date in April. I went online to pay the amount and the website stated that there was no minimum balance due and did not give a due date. This is very deceiving as I am sure that if I followed the information online the account would go in default. Discover needs to do much better and needs to be more honest and transparent.

Original review: March 12, 2018

This company suspended my card for no reason. I have no late payment and have been in good standing. I even signed up for automatic payment from my account and send more and the only thing they say is it was a business decision. I fill like I have been single out.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I was a member since 1989 with Discover and I have cancelled my account with them 2 times. I gave in and allowed them to convince me to reopen my account. The 2nd time is the last. I was unemployed going to school and my car broke down. I called for a cash advance and got it. This was in 2010. I graduated and got a job the day after graduation. (Oh, I have worked all of my adult life and wanted to better myself within the workforce.) I was making regular payments but noticed my principal never went down.

I called and they said it was because of the cash advance. I said I wanted to see complete records on what payments were made to the cash advance and to regular payments and he said he didn't have that since it was over 7 years and they only kept data for 7 years. I cancelled my account. Got a Credit Card with 0 interest for 20 months. Transferred what was owed to that and am almost done with completely paying off Discover. I would tell anyone, that Discover will be your best friend until you ask questions. I felt that a 24% interest rate on all I owed was crazy. I could have done better with a loan shark. I have 756 credit rating. I paid my bills, and dealing with Discover was one of the most frustrating times ever.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Horrible situation with Discover. I had a payment plan with them for over 3 years with perfect payments. In the final payment, I was lead to believe that pushing out the last payment was OK because I was submitting to pay it off. However, despite having a pending final payment in their system 5 days before the due date, because the post date was later (again, led to believe by the rep that this wasn't an issue) they reported 30 days late. They were unwilling to help, because it wasn't the company policy to advise me that this event would be triggered by my changing the date. Now I don't qualify for a home loan that I've worked 3 years for. They simply don't care. Do not be fooled by friendly faces. They are not out for your interest.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I applied for a home equity loan with Discover bank the third week of 01/2018. I was instantaneously told I passed the credit check. The first loan officer I spoke to requested 3 documents. I am a senior citizen retired from the U.S. Postal Service and I told Sara **, the aforementioned loan officer that I did not have the computer or wherewithal to communicate and transmit documents electronically. Her answer was, "We will work with you". My husband and I proceeded to fax information via a UPS store. We had to call OPM and TSP to get documents they required.

Today, 02/27/2018 I was contacted by yet another loan officer requesting numerous documents by 03/01/2018. She said after she received all of the additional information it would take 4 to 6 weeks to process the loan. I have wasted valuable time trying to communicate electronically with Discover Bank as they led me to believe that once I sent the first requested information our loan would be approved. We have purchased and refinanced homes in less time. I truly believe that they have been making us jump through hoops because we are retired. They have discriminated against us because we are seniors that are retired and because we have a Latino surname.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Unemployed due to company closing after many years of employment. Note: Have been a customer for Discover for 9 years. Called asking if it possible to work out a lower payment or interest rate. I was told there are no options.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I opened an account and listed another person as an authorized user on my card. After about a year, I noticed the person never used the card, so I called Discover and asked them to take the authorized user off of the account. Fast forward over a year later when I find out that not only did they not take that person off the account, but they took me off the account and the other person is not the sole account holder. They contacted this person because a payment was late and the person created a fraud investigation because they thought someone had opened an account in their name without their permission. Discover totally messed up this time. We are trying to get it fixed but we are having the hardest time.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have a secured credit card (WITH MY OWN MONEY). I use the card. I make payments in full to pay off the balance. Discover Card holds the payment for over ten 10 days and declines all transactions. I am still waiting for the release of my payment. HORRIBLE WAY TO IMPROVE YOUR CREDIT WITH THIS COMPANY. CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

How is that if you don't even have a Discover card, some moron at your office can send for payment from my bank in such a way as it goes through? Several times over the past few weeks, someone has been paying their bill with my checking account. I have corrected it at the bank and will do so again tomorrow for the new erroneous taking of my hard earned money. You folks need to get your act together and I will NEVER have a Discover card because of this!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Discover card offered me a lower interest and 0% interest on balance transfers and dollar for dollar match of rewards earned after my first year of earning rewards. The online app process was flawless and approval granted within 20 seconds of pressing the submit button. Offered a generous credit line of 5k so I can transfer a balance and get my car repairs paid off quickly that I had to charge to a different CC but the interest on the other card kills me so I am excited about getting this paid off. I originally applied to BOA who denied my request, which was a joke given I have good FICO of 750, solid income, and only 1 out of 6 credit cards that carries a balance, which thanks to Discover, will be paid off soon due to the 0% interest for at least 12 mo on balance transfers! Anyway, thank you DISCOVER!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Do not get this card. I deposited $700 to get a pre-paid card. I have been using card for 9 months and making payment monthly when I use the card. I received a bill for $689.00 and made a payment for $189 on 12/27/17 on 01/06/18 tried to make a grocery store purchase of $17 was declined. When I called Discover said there is a hold on my $189 and it was not applied to my account yet!!! There a eight business day hold on my payment. So, Discover has $700 plus my $189 which means Discover has $889 of my money and I only have a $500 balance. You will not have use of the money on the account and your credit score really does not improve if you have anything negative on your credit report. Not a good pre-paid card.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have had a Discover Card credit card for 17 years. Having been with them so long perhaps it is shame on me but recently I've noticed their lack of solution, customer service and peppering me with text messages of ads, even though I have asked them to stop. On the phone they can seem nice like the commercials but they do not provide resolutions. I got an email from a Mckay and then Sabina but neither got it done. They talk the talk in their TV commercials but the delivery and execution of actual execution shows that they are blowing smoke up our ass. Discover needs to actually listen to their customers and provide solutions. Don't just thank us for contacting them and choosing Discover but be truly authentic and provide real solutions.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I really do not understand all these negative reviews about Discover card. I have been with them for 9 years now, I have two cards, the Discover It and the Discover Chrome. They are great when you have a problem and I can understand them on the phone, unlike other cards where the accent is so heave I have no idea what they are saying. From what I gather on all the negative reviews, it is mostly people who mismanage their account and then blame Discover. All you have to do is be reasonable, pay your bill on time, don't go over your CL, and do any disputes on their website like I do. They are always fast to respond and they are very friendly. I love my Discover cards and you will too if you maintain your accounts properly.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I opened a Discover secured credit card account approximately two years ago. Approximately a year after I opened the account, Discover sent my security deposit back and converted my account to an unsecured account. They also raised my credit limit. I always paid my payments on time and kept my balance low, if not zero. One morning, I was checking my emails and saw that Discover sent me an email saying that my account was being closed. I knew it had to be a mistake because my credit and score had improved since opening the account and there was no common-sense reason that a company would push a stellar customer away. I called the department I was referred to regarding this situation and was told that during periodic review there were some derogatory marks on my credit report.

I told the representative, that anything that is derogatory on my credit report was on there when I first opened the account hence the reason I started off with a secured account. I also explained that if anything my credit report has improved, they stuck with that same story that makes no sense. I told that lady to remove me from all advertisements, don't send me any emails or offers. If Discover is so arrogant and treat their customers like crap, I want nothing to do with them.

This was such a shock to me because performance on that account was perfect, as well as all other open accounts on my credit report that were present when I first opened the Discover account. There are too many companies to do business with than to tolerate the arrogance and total disregard for customers. I thought to myself "What if I was on vacation and planned to use this card only during that vacation?" I would have been screwed. This company is garbage no matter how many commercials saturate the TV.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I opened 10/2014 during a time of re-building my credit. Over the past 3 years I carried a balance, made every payment on time, and paid more than the minimum required. In those three years I was able to raise my credit score almost 100 points higher than when my card was issued. I was able to finally payoff my entire balance of $1300.00. My intention was to keep a zero balance but keep the card as a safety net till I built up my savings again. I find out 1 month before Christmas shopping season that I was no longer worthy enough to be a cardholder. I was punished by them for not carrying a balance. Be careful if you are someone that depends on this credit line, they treat a pay off as a negative. Credit One bank raised my limit as a reward for paying off my balance with them. Who treats their customers better????

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information