1.40/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

624 Discover Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

Credit card with Discover Bank closed due to ongoing fraud issues. A new card was generated, told it was delivered by FedEx, actually left at garage door, today at around 4:20pm. It was not there. Tried dealing with Discover to get some sort of resolution with their customer service people, fraud people, card protection people, to no avail. Of course no answers, no resolution. I spent 4 1/2 hours talking to various people within Discover Bank only to get yanked from one department to another, talking to many different people, put on hold for way too long. Had the same situation with another huge bank and after the same runaround, yank game, too many hours spent I decided to close everything I had with that bank.

I had a credit card with Discover for 40 years prior to opening this one which was closed due to fraud. Never had an issue with the one for 40 years. What is going on with credit cards these days, I ask?? Everything about dealing with these banks reeks of fraud, dishonest people. I even question whether, when I am talking to someone employed by that bank, whether or not they actually work for that bank, always asking for some sort of identification, i.e. badge number, ID number. Finding I can't bank with any of these huge banks.

Original review: April 14, 2018

When applying for my card, I was asked to join a live chat through a third party website, that Discover uses. They then asked for quite a bit of personally identifiable information and then continued to tell me whatever I uploaded to verify that I am a student wasn't working. After a 45 minute talk around and a very frustrated mom, we decided to call in. They tried to tell us their reasoning for asking for copies of my SS Card, whether or not I was living in a Boarding School, and other invasive borderline unethical PII questions.

I have been trying to apply for the Student card for over three months now and just barely have I made any progress. This progress comes about after calling in and mentioning the unethical tactics and demanding a decision before we hung up. We mentioned that we would be notifying the FBI if they continued to ask for more personal information. Immediately I was told that what I have previously uploaded was going to work and no longer needed to upload new information as PII and was approved. I was then told how quickly my card would get here and what would come with it and how to activate it. I was not given the opportunity to opt-out of giving them permission to use and/or sell what I provided for PII.

I would definitely recommend calling in overusing the live chat, things get done faster and having a couple of hours to apply for this card. Make sure you have several documents to prove you are a student and who you are or you will not get anywhere in the verification process. Please note that it was very easy to apply for the card, just not easy to verify my information. Not quite sure if will use this card and my trust in Discover is very weak.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I keep making payments on phone and on their website but they always come back and say "it's rejected". Truth is they never send the payment to bank. I inquired and bank told me they haven't received any transaction by Discover!!! Sucks Big time! Takes my time energy and of course mess my life.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I am the co-signer on my daughter's student loans. My daughter does not live with me but lives in another part of the country. Apparently her payment for December and January was reversed. I, as the co-signer, was not notified. In February I was notified that the account was in default and that my credit would be impacted. I contacted Discover and Great Lakes, as Great Lakes was handling the loan with Discover. I explained that I was not notified that the loan was in default until after it was in default. I was told that if the payment was made within 30 days of the notification that I received then my credit would probably not be affected. I paid off one of her loans and paid the other loan down by $8K. I also stated that my credit should not be impacted since Discover did not notify me that the loan was in default until after it was in default.

Nevertheless, my credit was impacted. This hardly seems right. Furthermore, I received a letter in the mail stating that x amount of dollars was due by a date in April. I went online to pay the amount and the website stated that there was no minimum balance due and did not give a due date. This is very deceiving as I am sure that if I followed the information online the account would go in default. Discover needs to do much better and needs to be more honest and transparent.

Original review: March 12, 2018

This company suspended my card for no reason. I have no late payment and have been in good standing. I even signed up for automatic payment from my account and send more and the only thing they say is it was a business decision. I fill like I have been single out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: March 8, 2018

I was a member since 1989 with Discover and I have cancelled my account with them 2 times. I gave in and allowed them to convince me to reopen my account. The 2nd time is the last. I was unemployed going to school and my car broke down. I called for a cash advance and got it. This was in 2010. I graduated and got a job the day after graduation. (Oh, I have worked all of my adult life and wanted to better myself within the workforce.) I was making regular payments but noticed my principal never went down.

I called and they said it was because of the cash advance. I said I wanted to see complete records on what payments were made to the cash advance and to regular payments and he said he didn't have that since it was over 7 years and they only kept data for 7 years. I cancelled my account. Got a Credit Card with 0 interest for 20 months. Transferred what was owed to that and am almost done with completely paying off Discover. I would tell anyone, that Discover will be your best friend until you ask questions. I felt that a 24% interest rate on all I owed was crazy. I could have done better with a loan shark. I have 756 credit rating. I paid my bills, and dealing with Discover was one of the most frustrating times ever.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Horrible situation with Discover. I had a payment plan with them for over 3 years with perfect payments. In the final payment, I was lead to believe that pushing out the last payment was OK because I was submitting to pay it off. However, despite having a pending final payment in their system 5 days before the due date, because the post date was later (again, led to believe by the rep that this wasn't an issue) they reported 30 days late. They were unwilling to help, because it wasn't the company policy to advise me that this event would be triggered by my changing the date. Now I don't qualify for a home loan that I've worked 3 years for. They simply don't care. Do not be fooled by friendly faces. They are not out for your interest.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I applied for a home equity loan with Discover bank the third week of 01/2018. I was instantaneously told I passed the credit check. The first loan officer I spoke to requested 3 documents. I am a senior citizen retired from the U.S. Postal Service and I told Sara **, the aforementioned loan officer that I did not have the computer or wherewithal to communicate and transmit documents electronically. Her answer was, "We will work with you". My husband and I proceeded to fax information via a UPS store. We had to call OPM and TSP to get documents they required.

Today, 02/27/2018 I was contacted by yet another loan officer requesting numerous documents by 03/01/2018. She said after she received all of the additional information it would take 4 to 6 weeks to process the loan. I have wasted valuable time trying to communicate electronically with Discover Bank as they led me to believe that once I sent the first requested information our loan would be approved. We have purchased and refinanced homes in less time. I truly believe that they have been making us jump through hoops because we are retired. They have discriminated against us because we are seniors that are retired and because we have a Latino surname.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Unemployed due to company closing after many years of employment. Note: Have been a customer for Discover for 9 years. Called asking if it possible to work out a lower payment or interest rate. I was told there are no options.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I opened an account and listed another person as an authorized user on my card. After about a year, I noticed the person never used the card, so I called Discover and asked them to take the authorized user off of the account. Fast forward over a year later when I find out that not only did they not take that person off the account, but they took me off the account and the other person is not the sole account holder. They contacted this person because a payment was late and the person created a fraud investigation because they thought someone had opened an account in their name without their permission. Discover totally messed up this time. We are trying to get it fixed but we are having the hardest time.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I have a secured credit card (WITH MY OWN MONEY). I use the card. I make payments in full to pay off the balance. Discover Card holds the payment for over ten 10 days and declines all transactions. I am still waiting for the release of my payment. HORRIBLE WAY TO IMPROVE YOUR CREDIT WITH THIS COMPANY. CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

How is that if you don't even have a Discover card, some moron at your office can send for payment from my bank in such a way as it goes through? Several times over the past few weeks, someone has been paying their bill with my checking account. I have corrected it at the bank and will do so again tomorrow for the new erroneous taking of my hard earned money. You folks need to get your act together and I will NEVER have a Discover card because of this!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Discover card offered me a lower interest and 0% interest on balance transfers and dollar for dollar match of rewards earned after my first year of earning rewards. The online app process was flawless and approval granted within 20 seconds of pressing the submit button. Offered a generous credit line of 5k so I can transfer a balance and get my car repairs paid off quickly that I had to charge to a different CC but the interest on the other card kills me so I am excited about getting this paid off. I originally applied to BOA who denied my request, which was a joke given I have good FICO of 750, solid income, and only 1 out of 6 credit cards that carries a balance, which thanks to Discover, will be paid off soon due to the 0% interest for at least 12 mo on balance transfers! Anyway, thank you DISCOVER!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Do not get this card. I deposited $700 to get a pre-paid card. I have been using card for 9 months and making payment monthly when I use the card. I received a bill for $689.00 and made a payment for $189 on 12/27/17 on 01/06/18 tried to make a grocery store purchase of $17 was declined. When I called Discover said there is a hold on my $189 and it was not applied to my account yet!!! There a eight business day hold on my payment. So, Discover has $700 plus my $189 which means Discover has $889 of my money and I only have a $500 balance. You will not have use of the money on the account and your credit score really does not improve if you have anything negative on your credit report. Not a good pre-paid card.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have had a Discover Card credit card for 17 years. Having been with them so long perhaps it is shame on me but recently I've noticed their lack of solution, customer service and peppering me with text messages of ads, even though I have asked them to stop. On the phone they can seem nice like the commercials but they do not provide resolutions. I got an email from a Mckay and then Sabina but neither got it done. They talk the talk in their TV commercials but the delivery and execution of actual execution shows that they are blowing smoke up our ass. Discover needs to actually listen to their customers and provide solutions. Don't just thank us for contacting them and choosing Discover but be truly authentic and provide real solutions.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I really do not understand all these negative reviews about Discover card. I have been with them for 9 years now, I have two cards, the Discover It and the Discover Chrome. They are great when you have a problem and I can understand them on the phone, unlike other cards where the accent is so heave I have no idea what they are saying. From what I gather on all the negative reviews, it is mostly people who mismanage their account and then blame Discover. All you have to do is be reasonable, pay your bill on time, don't go over your CL, and do any disputes on their website like I do. They are always fast to respond and they are very friendly. I love my Discover cards and you will too if you maintain your accounts properly.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I opened a Discover secured credit card account approximately two years ago. Approximately a year after I opened the account, Discover sent my security deposit back and converted my account to an unsecured account. They also raised my credit limit. I always paid my payments on time and kept my balance low, if not zero. One morning, I was checking my emails and saw that Discover sent me an email saying that my account was being closed. I knew it had to be a mistake because my credit and score had improved since opening the account and there was no common-sense reason that a company would push a stellar customer away. I called the department I was referred to regarding this situation and was told that during periodic review there were some derogatory marks on my credit report.

I told the representative, that anything that is derogatory on my credit report was on there when I first opened the account hence the reason I started off with a secured account. I also explained that if anything my credit report has improved, they stuck with that same story that makes no sense. I told that lady to remove me from all advertisements, don't send me any emails or offers. If Discover is so arrogant and treat their customers like crap, I want nothing to do with them.

This was such a shock to me because performance on that account was perfect, as well as all other open accounts on my credit report that were present when I first opened the Discover account. There are too many companies to do business with than to tolerate the arrogance and total disregard for customers. I thought to myself "What if I was on vacation and planned to use this card only during that vacation?" I would have been screwed. This company is garbage no matter how many commercials saturate the TV.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I opened 10/2014 during a time of re-building my credit. Over the past 3 years I carried a balance, made every payment on time, and paid more than the minimum required. In those three years I was able to raise my credit score almost 100 points higher than when my card was issued. I was able to finally payoff my entire balance of $1300.00. My intention was to keep a zero balance but keep the card as a safety net till I built up my savings again. I find out 1 month before Christmas shopping season that I was no longer worthy enough to be a cardholder. I was punished by them for not carrying a balance. Be careful if you are someone that depends on this credit line, they treat a pay off as a negative. Credit One bank raised my limit as a reward for paying off my balance with them. Who treats their customers better????

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I contacted Sears for a new garage door remote control and told them specifically what system I had. They sent the wrong item. I tried to send it back but they wouldn't send a shipping label. Then they sent the right product. I tried again to return the wrong product. They sent me a label to return the right product, which I wanted to keep. Then they told me I could return it to the store. When I went, the store refused to take it back. I asked sears again for a shipping label. They sent the wrong one again. After that, they said there was nothing they could do. I documented all the chats with sears, sent them to discover and said I would not pay for the wrong product that sears would not let me return. Discover sided with Sears, saying I had to produce proof that I had returned the item. How can I return it if sears won't take it? Apparently discover cannot comprehend catch-22. Anyway, Discover sides with the merchant, not with the customer.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I just can't believe, I'm amazed by the genuinity of the customer care and how they make your life so much easier. After my recent experience with hurricane Maria losing everything I not only never had to call Discover to ask for help, they had already set my account for a 3 months grace period to start paying them again from the catastrophe, then without me having to contact them, they set another courtesy one month extension until January, 2018. They have just called me because I am slightly above my credit line which is 5,000 and they even offered to place a $20 credit to help me balance that out just because they want to show their appreciation.

They are the most caring when it comes to consumer service. Plus they have the best products and offers. They helped me build my credit since 2015 when my credit score was 577 (Credit Karma). Discover sent me an offer and trusted me with a line of 4,500 which then was increased this year 2017 by 500. My credit was at 720 at some point this year thanks to Discover, now I have to start working my way up again thanks to a few poor judgement decisions like applying for several credit cards in short period of time and then having them maxed out because of the hurricanes emergency. If you are responsible and are searching for the best credit card, with lots of rewards, lots of features like account freeze, access to FICO scores, flexible due dates programmed by you, easy access to online statements and recent transactions, balance and payment history... stop looking, call Discovery, you're welcome.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have had an account with Discover for some time. Today I tried to transfer money. Their website didn't work. They shifted me first to a tech advisor, then finally to a supervisor. After 40 minutes, we got it to work - sort of. But I couldn't transfer funds! They sent in a trial deposit! I will have to wait to transfer funds, but now want to get them all out of Discover. Find another place!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Attention viewers, I am making a complaint about Discover Card. I want to file a complaint on my credit card Discover for being completely dishonest and for not following through with how they were going to help me a Bait & Switch merchant; they (Discover Card) basically conned and lied to me. I called and made a dispute on a television to Discover that I decline to accept when I got a receipt on free shipping I made online through a merchant. But 2 hours later I got a call from the TV merchant. They wanted to add $388 more for shipping. I said cancel order right now and they would not but they call me (the merchant) to ask if I would approve to $388.00.

I said no but I called Discover Card to report the matter that I declined a TV purchase as I provided them a receipt stating I had the actual price on the item and not the price I was charge on my Discover card. Discover said, "Ok, we'll investigate the matter," and they appeared to believe I was telling them the truth. But 2 weeks later, I look on my Discover account (as Discover never notify me too) and noticed they reverse the chargeback on my account. They said I agreed to the charge and I said, "No. I didn't". I send read the receipt, it says free shipping and I said I decline to accept order to the merchant but Discover said this and that but then they denied me.

They said they would step in to go after shipping fees and or trying to return the item since I gave them information they stated on the merchant's website. They would take returns on a certain size (Discover lied and didn't) and they also told me that since I was unhappy with the outcome, they would give me a courtesy credit of $500.00 (Discover lied on that too). Discover said we could call the merchant to ask them to take the TV back as I said they have information on their site stating but Discover card didnt do that either. I found it interesting when I spoke to the first person who took my information over the phone on my dispute and 2 weeks later, I spoke to another Discover claims person who wasn't helpful nor would she read them.

What I want is a complete refund, I was completely mistreated by Discover card disputes department but they also lied to me by what they were going to do, they didn't do. Seriously, why would I use my credit card for protection on this matter, I thought I had confidence with Discover would be there for me if I had a problem with the merchant but in this matter. Discover was not helpful at all and in fact I think they wanted the merchant to get their money so Discover could get interests from my credit for example because they had the facts right in front of them, plain & simple but they mislead me.

On top of this matter, I have read all these negative online reviews on Discover and it's all negative information so it's my view I am dealing with a credit card that mistreats their customers on so many matters that I have a reason to file my complaints because I am not alone on this matter. I feel completely cheated & mislead by Discover and I prepared to share my story online if they don't.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I cosigned a loan for my son. I ended up having to pay it back. It was supposed to be a fixed rate loan. They do raise the interest rate every year. They have never lowered the interest rate. I make the payments yet the only access I have to the account is to make a payment. I cannot look back at the history of the account. Half the time the online payment system is out of order and I have to call a stranger and make my payment over the phone. I don't receive any mail nor any other information about this loan I am paying. They don't treat me like a customer and I recommend going with any other loan company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I was minding my own business one day, when I received a letter from Discover Card asking me to PROVE my citizenship… REALLY? I threw the letter in the trash and went on with my life. I have a CC account with them for over 10 years – no late payments, ever. Suddenly, the calls start coming in. Most do not leave a message, one caller hung on breathing into the phone until the machine cut off. Twice, a message was left urgently stating for me to call them back… Something about “security.” So I call back, thinking I am going to be told that someone is trying to get an account in my name, or that someone tried to use my card #... Something to that effect. No, I was asked a litany of personal questions, which immediately raised a red flag.

I have several credit cards and only Discover is doing this interrogation of their cardholders. When I asked why they needed more info, I was told that they can’t tell me. WHAT! So, I declined to answer the rest of the questions and said goodbye. A few weeks later, I go to make a phone payment on my Discover card, as I have done for years. I was immediately routed to a live person, who then started grilling me with questions. I again asked, what is this all about? Again, I was told that they cannot disclose that information. I stated that I just want to pay my bill. I was told that I had to answer the questions FIRST.

I felt like I was in the twilight zone. After arguing back and forth, I hung up. I was so put off by how Discover treats their customers that I called back to ask them to close out my account… In which I was told, again, that I needed to answer the questions before they would do that. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Something VERY shady going on with Discover.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I opened a Discover Card to take advantage of their lengthy interest free time period on balance transfers from another credit card and in fact I have had no interest charged on that balance transfer amount. I have also been using the card for regular charges at stores, restaurants, GAs etc and have paid those charges IN FULL each month. However interest has been charged on those amounts even though payment was made in full by the due date. When I called to inquire about this I was told that if you have a open balance on a cash balance transfer you lose the interest free period on regular charges. In other words you will be charged interest on regular charges FROM THE DATE THE CHARGE WAS MADE even if the regular charges were paid in full by the due date. Be very careful when deciding whether to open a Discover Card. It is not as consumer friendly as they would have you believe.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My account was closed "inability to pay" when my balance was Discover owing me 180.00. My rewards removed. After hours and transfers they admitted that they received email that I was dead. After another hour on the phone I received a message that a credit report was causing a problem. The death department told I would have to be transferred to another... I said close my account, send my refund and then all of a sudden my rewards disappeared. They were in cahoots with Equifax and did not care about their millions of customers because losing one did not matter.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have to tell you that I am insulted by this. I have paid my bill without fail, since opening this account. Two years ago: YOUR machine reader debited my account incorrectly... that was FINALLY resolved, and my 'late charges' 'forgiven'. Three months ago, your COMPUTER PROGRAM stopped sending me invoices... for some random, stupid reason (...address unverified... WTHeck???). And, now, you send me an email with the verbiage: "This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained may be used for that purpose." REALLY????

I will have you know that I will not be using this credit card EVER AGAIN, I will pay off my balance and be done with you. You DO NOT have great customer service... even though your representatives are great, you rely too heavily on your faulty computer programs, and proceed as if the 'computer is always right', rather than, 'the customer is always right'.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

These guys will decrease your credit line with no notification whatever no matter your payment history or balance. I called and FINALLY got someone on the line I could halfway understand and she informed me it was because I had too many inquiries on my credit report. Sorry. Nothing we can do. I am going to pay the balance on this card and use it once a month for a Dr Pepper and a bag of chips. That's it. Oh and I am going to insist on a paper statement. Dropping the electronic billing as of today.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I am currently unemployed and have fallen behind on my payments. I reached out to Discover, via their live chat service, in order to arrange a payment plan. At first the representative, Raquel, told me that nothing could be done and that payment was due when it was due. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She says that she is an "account manager." So she refused to let me speak to her supervisor. Then she says I might qualify for a payment program. She asks a lot of redundant questions, I say yes to everything, she confirms my bank account number and social security number. I'm good to go. Then I receive an email saying that if I don't make a payment I'll be sent to collections. There's no mention of the payment plan. I wasted my time setting up. Do not waste your time with this company. They are incompetent and have no sympathy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Been a good customer for 2 years. Never missed a payment, mostly paid 2 times a month and always more than basic amount, then I took cash out, used it for a trip, paid it back in 1 week as well as 1500 in payments, then I try to use card. It gets declined. I call to find out why and they penalized me for the cash advance and lowered my credit limit without notifying me. Luckily I was not on vacation at the time otherwise I could have been in trouble. I called and talked to 3 people and none would help me. Stay away from these people. They are terrible.

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information