Discover

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I wish I had put more effort into seeing this before wasting my time with these people. I was denied a secured credit card because of something that was 7 years old. This company promotes rebuilding credit, but all they do is make it worse. The guy on the phone had no clue what he was saying, but he did say he was sorry an awful lot. I could say that he seemed confused as to why I was denied, but to protect his useless job, he could not tell me that. When I asked for someone to look at this with a human factor, he said they can't. The computer is the final say. I left a crappy secured credit card for this, but what a mistake! Do NOT try Discover!!! They are not worth your points or time. Wells Fargo sounds good now! Oh, and they won't help other than telling you "Too Bad, Sorry"!

I applied for a school. Called a while back I decided to go in the Discovery score card that I established to see what my FICO scores on now since I lowered the balance on all my accounts. I tried to log in with no success 3 times. Finally I was thinking okay I have maybe the wrong password. It does happen because my email is the same and of course this window comes up indicating to put in certain information which I did just to recover my password. No such luck. I did it 5 times so I feel you really can't trust Discovery Card too. They are not honest about the credit score. I think they do this for their own purpose to see which customers they can grab for their credit cards. So what good is the credit score when you can't get in it. I tried everything. I give up.

The approved credit line was not the actual credit line I was permitted to use and there are no late or missed payments. This credit card is the worst and customer service representatives are rude. A block was placed on my cash advances after I took out less than half the permitted amount. I called to verify non fraudulent activity to no avail. The block was replaced for no reason at all. Why give out a credit card and not permit the user to use it? Can't use credit card or cash advances although no late payments. Company states it is a new account. Well so what? Why approve the amount then take it back? Get a Bank of America credit card which is much better and has better customer service.

We have had the basic Discover Card for almost 30 years. We never had a late payment except last month. The bill was due on Memorial Day and payment was mailed 10 days before. It was not posted until the day after, May 30. Their commercials say that there is forgiveness for one late payment even though the delay was likely caused by the post office. They slapped a $25 late fee on the account and raised the APR to double what it was before this. Our credit rating is over 800 and the payment arrived the next business day (or was posted then). When I called to complain they said I could either accept the terms or pay off the balance in full and cancel the card. There is no loyalty with this company and their commercials about one late payment (in 30 years in our case) is totally false. We have yet to decide what to do, but the APR is much too high to continue when our Visa card is half of this new rate.

Discover has my transactions available to see and download daily. I've had two cases of fraudulent activity and both times I've received a text from Discover with an easy "yes I made this purchase" and "no this wasn't me" response options and then been able to contact a representative within seconds. Discover not only gives me rewards (even at 1%), but it also makes me feel much less vulnerable and much more supported.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

This is by far the worst credit card I've ever obtained. When I applied for the secured card, the "fine print" said if you made a year of on-time payments, you will have your deposit refunded. I made more than a year of on-time payments and called to find out why my $2,000 was not refunded. All they could tell me is a "system" determines if and when my money will be refunded and there was NO ONE at Discover who could give me an explanation about why my deposit was still being held.

I have never missed a payment with them or been late on a payment and was further told that "the system" takes other things into account, like how I handle my other accounts. I have not been late on any of them either. I will NEVER obtain a secured credit card again, and frankly, I don't need one because I can now obtain unsecured credit cards on my own. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT SELECT DISCOVER TO OBTAIN A SECURED CREDIT CARD. If you do, do not put more than, maybe, $500 in the account.

Discover Bank will not honor the promotion for new online saving account saying that either this promotion was valid only for existing credit card customer or they will say that you applied by mail and this was only online promotion or they will say your account was opened after promotion deadline. They will give you one or other excuse not to honor the promotion even if you fulfilled the criteria. Worst bank ever I have dealt with.

Have always had good experiences with Discover and always pay my bill "on time" so when I called in to use my rewards they got ADDED as a charge instead of credited. Called in and they were taken off so now my original rewards are in La La Land and I am told they cannot update again until the end of the month... Maybe the 23, and may not see it until the 25th. I keep getting the runaround so in other words my original rewards are just GONE.

New with Discover and what HELL this is for a company!!! How do they even function? Their fine print says that they "use" contractors and "agencies" to do their "business". Hmmm what business? Discover (undercover) also says you can make cash payments on your account at Sears Stores... oh yeah? Well go and find one! Many of this Chintzy company are local owners and "haven't processed a cash payment in 2 years"! That's a quote! Call any store and ask for "credit" just to get to a person re; your account. Guess where that send you? The PHILIPPINES!

This is the MOST disorganized company with the most untrained people you will ever find anywhere. I am part of the largest demographic sector in our 320,000,000 citizen population. They call us BOOMERS... we know what we are doing and we were all educated regarding what the right way is... hello? By the looks of things in the Discover Card Complaint records... (517++) in 2017 alone... we have the POWER and the education to boot this "undercover" out fit to you nowhere. Hey "Trumpster", who's the new Sheriff in the Banking Sector? It's time, by the looks of it that ALL of us here need to file (together) to have ALL this ABUSIVE treatment looked at and "dealt" with as was done before with the good ole Discover folks, eh? I'm not taking a HIT from these idiots and neither should you! Discover Card is OFF TRACK.

On May 23, 2017 I called Discover card to make a payment on my credit card account. The young lady verify my information then attempted to apply my payment. After she was done she call me someone else name. I told her that's not my name and she said oh she was sorry she had put up someone else's account instead my banking information on their account. She did not make a note on my account that she had made a mistake and put my information on someone else's account. I didn't find out until the next day when Discover try to take now nine thousand dollars out of my account versus the 4500 that I wanted to pay on my account. I call Discover to tell them what had happened because I only saw the $4500 on my account not the nine thousand that they were taken from my bank account.

The person at Discover told me to call my bank and have them stop the payment. I told them to find out who was the person that had my banking info on their account, please delete it from that person's account and call me to confirm that my info was has been delete. I have called Discover five times in reference to this. I just received a phone call today June 6 to tell me that they found out who that person was that has my account information on their account but they cannot delete it off our account. I just received a phone call today June 6 for Discover to tell me that they found out who that person was that has my account information on their account but they cannot delete it off. The person that works for Discover card told me to close my bank account with my bank and start a new account. Discover card made the mistake and because they made the mistake they cannot take my account information off that other person's account.

I am a full-time college student, and got this card believing it would fit well with my Chase Freedom Unlimited, Capital One and Barclay cards. I checked into a Springhill Suites By Marriott on May 29th. The room was a disaster, to the point the General Manager comped us for that night's stay. We checked out the morning of May 30th, was given paperwork with everything zeroed out. When I checked in, I accidentally used my DISCOVER CARD instead of my Chase Visa. Huge huge mistake. The $40 incidental hold put on by Marriott on check in was released at check out. DISCOVER intentionally left the "HOLDS" on the card, refusing to release that $40 hold. DISCOVER blamed Marriott, but my Father knows the CEO of Marriott and Marriott Headquarters confirmed there was "NO HOLD" on my account.

DISCOVER employees are bottom feeding liars. Each one tells another lie. It has been 9 days and not only did DISCOVER not take the merchant holds off, they quietly removed it from "pending transactions" so I would think they released it. The available credit and current balance was the giveaway. My Dad owns hundreds of businesses across America, and because of their unethical business practices, lack of morals by lying and scheming, Discover will lose all of those accounts on July 1, 2017. Here is my suggestion, DROP DISCOVER completely and use a bank that has truth to it. CHASE, CITIBANK, BARCLAY and CAPITAL ONE just to name a few. If you have college kids, and they have DISCOVER CARDS cancel them, and get them a "real card".

DISCOVER is so bad, Lil Caesar's Pizza would not even take them. Many merchants are abandoning ship and refusing to accept DISCOVER. Like SEARS, DISCOVER is a dying bank. They prey on people like hungry wolves. I hate DISCOVER for their dishonesty and lack of any professional ethics. I felt good to hear my Dad give the order to immediately stop all employees from using their DISCOVER CARDS and that his companies will cancel all DISCOVER ACCOUNTS on July 1. But if you don't want to get lied to, taken advantage of, get rid of ANYTHING that bears the name DISCOVER in your purse or wallet. I have warned anybody reading this, if you keep DISCOVER, you have only yourself to blame when they scam you!

This is by far the worst credit card I've ever obtained. They lowered my credit limit because they felt like doing it, without taking into consideration the customers' credit impact this will do. I've never been late, had a decent credit limit $1500 and they decided to lowered my credit limit to $750. What a load of cockroaches! Closing account immediately, I don't need to do business with such predatory scum bags credit companies!

DirecTV used my Discover card numbers that were on file to charge for three (3) Receivers, which by the way were returned to them. Discover paid the bill then charged me for reimbursement. Sounds right so far, correct. But the kicker is DirecTV sent three (3) credits to Discover and now discover wants me to pay them?!! I'm writing this solely to ConsumerAffairs in hope that they can straighten this out with Discover. Thank you.

Have been with them since 1986. They have several incompetent employees, including the top level of the COMPLAINT DEPT. When I'm sent text msgs showing I have been charged twice, I find it despicable that they are NOT equipped to issue a Notice of Reversal of the duplicate notification. When I asked for clarification I was met with unpleasant belligerent customer service. They swore they cannot send an E-mail or Text, so I could have written confirmation that I would not be liable but for one charge. The complaint Dept THREATENED TO BLOCK MY PHONE CALLS IF I KEPT CALLING. Really shows their lack of efficiency, incompetent help, lack of customer concern. They lost any respect I once had for them. They act like they are the only card company available. Well, I have news for them - THEY ARE NOT!

When I apply you credit me 4000$. After 9 month I was checking my account I notice that my credit was only 2000$. I call the company. They told me that I have bankruptcy that's why they lower my credit. Was so upset I only use 1200$ and I was paying 100 to 200$ a month payment. I close the account. That was not nice to do that. I will never reopen with this people again...

I’ve had a cc with this company for about 12 years and they kept increasing my credit limit. I received a flyer offer for a low interest rate personal loan. I thought that would be good to pay off some other credit cards that had over a 30% utilization to help my FICO. After filling out their online info they said to call a specialist - I did so. He asked questions and I answered. He mentioned that he would like my tax returns to verify income. I told him that I do not, under any circumstances release my tax returns and he said, “No problem, bank statements would be fine.” Then I sent the bank statements in.

2 days later I get a call from another agent wanting my tax return. I told her that I do not release them. I offered to send them part of my tax return to substantiate the gross income but after conferring with her underwriting department she told me that would not be acceptable- they needed the full 1040. Now, I specifically told the original agent that I would not do that and if that is what would be required I did not authorize a "hard" hit to the credit bureaus. I have been lied to and I told the most recent agent for Discover to file a complaint. I have no idea where this will go but I can tell you that I will pay whatever balance I have on Discover card off today so they will no longer be getting my high interest rate on their card. My suggestion is not to trust what an agent of Discover tells you.

It looks like this is the company with the most predatory credit practices compared to some others. In one year my interest rate went up 4 times, no 45 days notice, no default, no late payments. One dispute, was given to an intern, dragged for one year, 7 documents uploaded on their site, resulted in merchandise favor.

Very disappointed with this company. I actually thought their customer service was very good the past year with their credit card. I received an offer for 0% interest for 12 months with a credit limit of $5000. And I learned that I would have to pay the minimum amount due every month to avoid a late fee... And interest. So I did that. Today I was ready to pay off my account balance before the 12 months expired and... They've been charging me interest the whole time!! I feel very strongly that I was deceived. I've been very good at paying the account balance off conscientiously over 12 months with the minimum due monthly and in the end they screwed me over. I'm done with this company.

Paid off my credit card in full and closed the account. Almost two weeks later an interest fee was on my account. This company sucks people dry with all the "fees" they have and they will not work with you. Extremely poor customer service.

This is a horrible bank that has no idea how to train their employees and treat their customers very poorly. They give out bad information when you call them and then blame you for this misinformation. I would not recommend them to anyone. Aside from the terrible customer service, they hold check deposit for way too many days and that results in them getting interest off your money and not pay it back to you. Also they claim that they make $200 available to you the next business day after deposit of the check. However, you will NEVER see that in your transaction history and you do not have access to that money.

Discover Card recently sent me a letter that my business card was being cancelled for lack of use. I called and explained that I never received the card. They had used my address from 7 years ago... How did they send me the letter to the correct address? Mind you, I have a personal card with heavy use and my correct address! I went all the way to the top and they still want to close down my business card, despite 800 credit rating and excellent payment record. I am cancelling my other card as soon as I can transfer my auto payments over but as of today, I will no longer make any new charges on the card. Extremely poor customer service and failure to understand the situation. If I did business like that, I would be bankrupt! Shame on you, Discover!

Tried to check Discover CC acct. and found a message that our Savings account was locked down due to 'potential' fraudulent activity; balance was not visible on the website and the message indicated no transactions could be made until I called the number included. Spoke with a rep. -- he went through the 'security questions and after several questions I was informed that I 'failed' so would have to mail DL and SS card to Discover to unlock the account. Told him there was no way I was sending a copy of my SS and DL through the mail. Called back, hoping to get someone with more information and was told we could upload the info through the Discover website; tried and that failed. Only explanation we could get was that the website was down. Took 7 attempts for it to go through.

Made another call and was able to reach the fraud department directly for further assistance/information. The young woman in that department said Discover had tried to call me to verify an account I had tried to link to the Discover acct. I told her there was no record of any call from Discover showing on either cell phone. She said she had 'verification' that an attempt was made and because we couldn't be reached, the acct. was frozen without any further attempts to notify us.

She also informed me that I needed a copy of a utility bill in addition to the DL and SS copies; none of the other reps I spoke with previously ever mentioned a utility bill. She finally passed me off to her supervisor who admitted that no call had ever been placed to us; when Discover received the request from the other bank to link to our account, it was outside their calling time frame and they didn't follow up -- the call to verify the linked account was, as she said, 'overlooked'.

These folks don't have any idea what they are doing and I would warn anyone linking an account to be wary. Each rep I spoke with had a different 'story' and there were major discrepancies in what I was being told to do. They were so convinced I was trying to defraud them, they just couldn't be bothered. Why I had to spend 3 hours trying to untangle this mess (which they caused) is beyond me. I understand they were doing their due diligence to prevent fraud (cover their butt so they're not on the hook if funds go missing) but the fact that I never got the same story as I talked to different representatives is alarming.

The lying about making a phone call they didn't actually make is a deal breaker. And ultimately, the security questions from public records: over 45+ years of marriage, we've purchased at least 19 vehicles -- I remember the brands (many of which were the same), models and colors but the years purchased don't come that easily when someone is firing questions just to get through the list. I even tried checking our credit report after this mess was cleared up and while I can find loan info for a certain year, there's nothing in the report that tells me whether I purchased a vehicle manufactured in that year or the previous year. Had Discover just followed their own protocol (per the fraud supervisor) and made the call, there wouldn't have been an issue. I would have thanked them for their oversight, verified the linked account and gone on my merry way. Pretty sure we need to find a new bank asap.

On 2/24/2017, I initiated a dispute with Discover Card Services over a purchase that I made as I was having an issue with the merchant. I contacted Discover to initiate a dispute and everything that was told to the representative was not placed into the dispute. Instead the representative initiated a dispute that was totally the opposite of what I said and the information I provided to them and if they record they calls like they say they do, then they should be able to go back and hear what was said. This is the second time that I have had a problem with how their disputes team handles disputes. I will not be doing business with them after this is all said and done because this is not good business and they do not listen to what their consumers tell them. I should not have had to call in to them to find out that what I said and what was written was totally wrong.

I filled out the form – they made a hard hit to my credit to discover I had excellent credit. They asked me for information over and over again - multiple times - kept sending me emails requesting information even though I made it clear I did not answer emails from banks or any other billing or credit institution. One week later they still had the same questions to ask again and still had not approved my credit. Money is one thing but time you never get back and they were a complete waste of my time and energy. I told them to stop all processing on my card that I was no longer interest. People respect yourself - respect your time. Never let any business, person, place or thing waste your time. I discovered Discover Card was a total waste of my space and time.

I have had my Discover Card since 1995. While checking my credit score, I noticed my Discover account was closed which affected my longest standing credit history. I spoke to Customer Service, he could not trace ANY evidence of notification (email or mail) after. I asked to speak to supervisor. When I spoke to the supervisor, she informed me immediately that a promotion had been mailed to my address and since I did not take advantage of that promotion, they closed my account: a promotion is not the same as a notification that my card would be closed. I never received that promotion, either. I felt they were covering their mistake and falsely putting the blame on me.

I understand that I had not used that card in about five years and carried a zero balance. However, I strongly feel, they should have notified me of their intent. If I would have known my card was going to be closed, I would have easily made a charge. Customer Service Supervisor sounded "fishy" and their excuses seem made up. When I asked them to either email me or mail me the promotion letter, they were not able to since I was no longer a member. All in all, there are so many other banks, do not open a card with Discover. They are not helpful or will not admit any wrong-doing.

After reading other reviews I realized that my experience was not unique - a lot of people reported similar problems with Discover. To state it simply - it is a company with the most predatory credit practices compared to some others. They start you early - as a student you are likely to get your first credit card from them and they become your BEST friend. While you have a job and stability you are fine and they will be happy to give you access to credit... only to wait until that moment when something goes wrong in your life, a possible financial hiccup or hardship. Then they cut your credit limit, destroy your credit score, increase your APR (to the highest ever), keep feeding off you or close your account.

And if you suddenly recover - they will keep that troubled credit history that they themselves created against you. This is not a friend you want to keep around as you progress through life. It is not a company that can give you a hand when you suddenly stumble. It is a predator that feeds you only to feed off you later. RUN when you still can... or be eaten. Learn from my mistakes, not yours. In comparison, other credit cards proved to be more generous and helpful, even Citibank or (another predator) Bank of America.

I am completely unhappy with Discover. Discover FAILED to notify me in any way that my debit card on file had expired so my automatic payment did not process. They notified me by phone that I had "missed" a payment but not until my account was 70 days delinquent which then dropped my credit score. I called Discover today to get this rectified and they told me they sent me emails regarding this situation... Well I NEVER received one email about a "missing" payment. I am in the middle of getting a consolidation loan and because of Discover's error, I am now unable to get the best percentage rate my Credit Union offers. I am so beyond frustrated - once my bill is paid in full I WILL NEVER USE DISCOVER AGAIN.

Make any request to Discover Bank and you will get the standard. It will take seven to ten business days to respond... (English Translation: TWO WEEKS). I requested prepaid deposit envelopes over two weeks ago and still have not received them. In response to my request for prepaid deposit envelopes, I received, over two weeks later, deposit slips with my name misspelled on the correspondence. I have had an account with them for fourteen years. I have three accounts with this bank and as quickly as possible, I am going to cancel them all!! This is not the first time I have had difficulty getting even response to even the most rudimentary requests. They need to change the title of their customer service to Cuss service.

Discover credit card dispute process don't protect the rights of their card holders as other credit card companies do. I purchased a furniture in a physical store, and received a wrong item. Then I immediately returned the furniture but the seller disagree to refund me. I started the dispute process with my Discover Discover it customer service. Two months later, they forcibly closed the case ruling I should pay the full amount even the furniture is returned. Can I give a 0 rating to this rogue bank?

I have 10 credit cards with different companies and Discover savings and credit card. Their customer service is the best hands down! They are available 24/7 and reaching a live, English speaking (American) person who is professional is always a plus. They are great!!!

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.
  • Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.
  • Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.
  • Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.
  • Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.
  • Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.
  • Best for Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Compare Credit Cards