Find the Best Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

703 Discover Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have been offered by Discover card Services a credit card with very good frills. However this forum has so many bad reviews about their complete services to their account holders that it is better no to take the offer. I also highly recommend not to apply for this card until their ratings improved greatly and their litigation problems get resolved with so many reviewers.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Been dealing with Discover about fraud, ID Theft and Forged application----WHICH THEY SENT IN THE MAIL. The fraudulent charges are over 10,000 so I am sure this is why they are fighting this. They dragged their feet sending a copy of the original application and any other information requested to prove the fraud. I have submitted affidavits of forgery. They are a nightmare to deal with. Know your rights. If Discover attempts to collect a debt that is not yours, you may be entitled to damages. Consult with an attorney who is well versed on credit card debt. PS These credit card companies count on the police not prosecuting these cases because there are so many of them then they try to turn it all around on the victim by trying to say there is no merit to your case because police will not investigate. Fight them tooth and nail. I am NOT letting them off the hook any time soon.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I had two Discover credit cards. In 2006 I became disable and put in a claim to Discover... YEP! I was told that I was not covered!!! Then Money started being moved out of my other cards to a fake account at Discover Bank, I called them: "WE FIX"::: They sure did. More money was moved... Thanks to them I am over $30,000.00 in debt to the credit card companies. <<<< They did take me to court for the $14,000 that they claim that I owe them! The case was dismissed. They could not prove that I owe them the money!

Original review: March 8, 2019

My husband ended up having to pay close to $7,000 because someone hacked his Google Play account and Discover would not back up his claim that it was fraud. Some of the charges he noticed late, but some he noticed within the correct time frame. He did not get any of the money back because Discover claimed since they could not prove it was not him that he was "responsible" for it. He even went through the correct procedure to claim a dispute, took hours going through his Google Play account to write down his actual purchases and those that were fraud. Which is exactly what Discover asked him to do. His actual purchases were very minimal opposed to the hundreds of dollars being charged to his account. The worst part was he received a phone call stating the investigation was complete and that he would not be responsible for it.

Then a month later Discover calls him back saying he is now responsible for it. Discover claimed that since he had made purchases in the past they could not prove that these were not his. The entire point of fraud is to make it look like the person actually bought the item, however, since my husband has bought things off Google Play in the past they would not back him up. They are a useless company whenever you need them to actually back you up as their customer. I would not recommend getting a Discover card at all. One highlight of a credit card is that you can dispute charges and get your money back if fraud happens. I do not trust this company anymore and my husband decided to no longer use their services. We have told our family and friends about this because we hope that this does not happen to anyone else in the future.

Original review: March 7, 2019

750 FICO Score gets you high interest trash card. I am not sure how or why Discover has lasted over time as a premiere or good card to have - it's awful. It feels so scammy to see a bill for $88 to cover a $2600 balance (this same balance cost me $40 with my Capital One cards). The entire credit line is $10,000. I never go over 33% with all the things I have to do each month. I've asked them to explain these high charges to me several times, but the responses are incredibly confusing, possibly intentionally so. I noticed that $55 of it is for interest. I'm closing the card.

I have several Capital One cards: personal and business. (I absolutely love their cards and company). There are months when I get $150 in bonuses back from their programs. With Discover, I can pay thousands and only get $2 in cash rewards. They literally are sickening. The world is changing, fast. Companies like this won't last in a smart consumer's wallet. The greed is unthinkable at Discover. Don't bother. I wish I never opened a card with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: March 2, 2019

I called several times to find submit additional documents, were very helpful, everyone was different when I called but it was very easy for them to pick up where the other one left. Very professional and I obtained my loan in about 4 days!!!

Original review: March 2, 2019

They are fine until you dispute a transaction. I got scammed by a merchant on eBay who admitted through documented emails that the phones I bought were never scanned, therefore making them unusable. He would not refund me so I reached out to Discover for help. Discover said they would need proof that the merchant issued a refund or agreed to a return in order for Discover to reverse the charge. Wow. If the merchant wanted to help me out with a refund in the first place, why would I need Discover to help me? This left a bad taste in my mouth. I will be looking into another credit card company.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I answered an email for a psychic reading. Not knowing the coupon code automatically signs you up for a $40.00 membership fee. Life was very hectic at the time and for the next few months. I did not look over my bill every month but made sure I made my payment and that it was on time. 10 months later when things started to slow a bit I saw a charge, I did not know what it was for. I had not used my card in months. I called Discover. They said it was a reoccurring charge since March. I called the company ASKNOW, they told me I would need to speak with a manager. None was available but they would call me back or call back tomorrow. I called Discover back and opened a dispute case. They only reversed 4 out of the 10. ASKNOW said I was to stupid to look at my bill and will not give me any more credit back.

As a Discover customer you would think they would see this as fraud since I did not authorize a membership. They refuse to do anything else for me and advised contacting the BBB. The BBB is still waiting for a response from ASKNOW, they do not consider a few complaint cases a big matter. One complaint board about ASKNOW being fraudulent has over 110 complaints in just the past months with similar problems. So where do you go from here when your credit card was used fraudulently and they will not do anything about it???

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

FRAUDULENT/DECEPTIVE! This Company offers 14 months introductory no interest yet after 6 months I began getting charged interest. They stated it was credit score dependent and NOWHERE does it state that and in fact they started me off with $5000 credit limit and now am up to $6500 after less than a year. Fraudulent and deceptive!

Discover it® Cash Back credit card Footnotes: * Intro purchase APR is 0% for 14 months from date of account opening; then the standard purchase APR applies. Intro Balance Transfer APR is 0% for 14months from date of first transfer, for transfers under this offer that post to your account by May 10, 2019; then the standard purchase APR applies. Standard purchase APR: 14.24% variable to 25.24% variable, based on your creditworthiness. Cash APR: 27.24% variable. Variable APRs will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.

Minimum interest charge: If you are charged interest, the charge will be no less than $.50. Cash advance fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater. Balance transfer fee: 3% of the amount of each transfer. Annual Fee: None. Rates as of January 31, 2019. We will apply payments at our discretion, including in a manner most favorable or convenient for us. Each billing period, we will generally apply amounts you pay that exceed the Minimum Payment Due to balances with higher APRs before balances with lower APRs as of the date we credit your payment.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I had disputed my transaction with Sinemia for which I made the payment with Discover card. Discover had made the decision towards Sinemia and has reposted the payment on my account but has not communicated the result to Sinemia and has not provided any kind of documentation to Sinemia informing that the dispute has been resolved.

Now Sinemia is not providing me the service for which DISCOVER has reposted the payment on my account with the explanation that they have not yet received the confirmation from DISCOVER that the "Dispute is closed". When I inquired DISCOVER for the details, they have brutely declined to provide the information with Sinemia and mentioned that they will not provide any kind of support and not return my money.

DISCOVER card is not the customer friendly, but they have the blind favor for the merchant, which as a customer is horrible to find that your last support i.e. your is not ready to help have the blind favor to Sinemia. When I asked if I can keep DISCOVER bank in CC in email communication with Sinemia, they again declined that "We will not provide any support to you in this matter and you are by your own. Do not bother us".

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Extremely fast, courteous, helpful. Everybody was very nice and helpful. Got it done with minimal exertion on my part. As soon as the loan was approved, they disbursed to all my accounts within 2 days.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Just had my limit dropped for no reason! They claim I just had a derogatory mark just hit my credit but this is not true! Crappy card. Crappy service! I have zero bad marks on my credit and 100% payment history on all of my accounts. Do not waste your time with this card. They are a total disappointment!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Discover settled a fraud claim in favor of cardholder when we provided strong and complete evidence of services provided. There was no explanation, just a note letting us know that the claim was closed. There is a complete lack of transparency, we would like to see the results of the investigation and the rationale for this decision.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I received a offer to apply for credit card. After I faxed information and my credit was checked (which caused a ding on my credit report) because I could not fax copy of social security card I was turned down, there is no picture on my card and they had already dinged my account. Waste of time, never had to do this with any other company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

If anybody has a Discover card, I highly suggest you don’t make a big purchase on any other credit cards. If you do they close your account without your knowledge and do not notify you that they’re doing it until there is nothing that can be done. I had been an account holder with them for 3 years, never missed payment, my account balance was 0 and was even awarded a credit line increase of $1000 approximately a month ago for “being in great standing and making all payments on time” and due to another credit card having a “semi high balance” (of which was also paid off at the beginning of this month, but hasn’t been reported to the credit bureaus by the company) they closed my account because I am considered “a credit risk to their company.”

I have immaculate credit and have been working my butt off to get my credit where it needs to be to finance the next chapter of my life and Discover just rolled on in and said, "Not today." Absolutely awful customer service and after I said “So if somebody makes a large purchase on a credit card and doesn’t pay it off before a review their account gets closed?” was told by the agent that it doesn’t matter to them and maybe I shouldn’t have made such a big purchase. Even for my education. An absolute sham.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have been a long time customer of Discover. Over 40 years. They are treating me very badly by charging very high interest. I will never pay off this debt with the interest they are charging. I am a single mother with a limited income. Discover card continually raised my credit limit and being a single mother I kept using the Discover card until I have a very high balance. With the interest they insist on charging I will probably face bankruptcy. Beware!!! Can’t stress this enough.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I got the Discover card and seems like a good emergency card. I didn't read the fine print. I got into some trouble and used it. Why lord did I do that? I paid and paid, but the balance never would go down. Turned off the card still it grew. I was told it was the interest. But I have other cards that I have paid off. I finally stopped paying cause I was at 100.00 a month and the bill was not even getting a dent in it. They called over and over. They asked me to borrow money from friends.

Finally I stopped taking their calls. Here comes the lawsuit with false statements in it and they have a team of lawyers and I had a scary Lee Law Firm lawyer who seemed to like their lawyers and she is a story in herself. Anyway I finally just accepted the agreement they propose because it has a cap on it and no more insurmountable interest. These people just want money and they're crooks. Believe me. If you get in a financial bind you will regret having this card in your wallet. They do not treat you like you treat you. They treat you like a trick in the street.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I was looking to open a savings account with a reputable bank, good interest rate and phone app. I found Discover had a $200 bonus, clicked their link and read I had to deposit $25k by a certain date in order to get the bonus. I must have missed entering the promotional code somewhere - could be my mistake but that is not my complaint. After my acct was opened, before I deposited my money, I called in to make sure I would get the $200 bonus and the rep ensure me my account would be all set and I would definitely get the $200 bonus because they know my acct would qualify for it.

Fast forward 6 weeks later, I had done everything required including deposit over $25k. However, still no bonus. I call in and now they're singing a different tune. They told me I now have to provide the exact code for when I signed up and somehow it must match the code when I signed up, which makes no sense. I searched the web. Gave them all kinds of codes that I found, every code I gave them they sang a different tune as to why I can't get the bonus. Eventually I found the code with the exact date, and they sang a different tune with which contradicted a tune they sang moments earlier. They put me on hold multiple times for extended periods and finally I just said "Ok I give up, you win." Over 40 minutes of my life wasted and I wasn't going to keep going. I will be withdrawing all my funds ASAP and close my account.

I am so annoyed at this that I will start using another credit card instead of Discover as well. I have been using their credit card since 1999 and the last few years (5-10 years), I've charged my Discover credit card on avg $1k-2k per month. This also brought up another irritating situation I had with them a few years back when their credit service kept sending checks to write, which I would never use. I called in to have them stop as I thought it was risky since they have these checks (prefilled with my acct number) floating around mails. They said they couldn't stop sending the checks because it's part of their service and it's what I signed up for when I became a member.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Discover HELOC is the WORST!!! Save yourself the time, trouble and stress and RUN!!! When I started the process I was preapproved and told that the process would take 6-8 weeks. I given a list of documents to provide and I turned them in the same day. Over the next two weeks, I was given the same list of documents to provide, in part or in full several times! I can't tell you how many times I provided the SAME information! Every time I called for an update, I was told that everything was in order and looked good.

About 7 weeks into the process, I started calling daily as it seemed we were no closer to closing that in weeks prior. I was then given a counteroffer and told that underwriters had denied the previous loan that I was told I qualified for. I accepted the counteroffer and I was told it was going directly to underwriting and after a "drive by" appraisal, would only be 3 days at that point. Two weeks later, I was still in limbo! Turns out that "drive by" appraisal (that they told me does not include upgrades, land value, view, or anything other than just their assessment of the front of the house) came in $80,000 lower than and actual official appraisal I had done and as a result, I no longer qualified for the loan. The same loan they had been assuring me for 11 weeks was progressing nicely and scheduled to close soon. If I could give them negative stars, I would. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have had a Discover card since 2010, and in the last year, can't seem to make a dent in my balance no matter how much I pay. I was put into a program with lowered APR for a yr, and frozen card, told I would get about $800 off my card that way. I'm on month 10, and have made large payments each month, and still my balance has only decreased by a scant $400. I am paying between 125-150 $s a month, so how can that be right? I hope someone will check out these crooks. Don't go for this card, you'll regret it forever after.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Got sent overseas for business and the trip was extended while there. I forgot my login and tried several times to contact Discover, even through hotel operator, who informed me Discover's 2 overseas numbers would not go through. Operator stated that the number was for Canada and Mexico. Other for US only. When I got home I called Discover to explain what went on. It was the worst customer service experience ever from a credit agency. The kid did not care about my story and demanded full payment. I paid off my 2200. balance with LATE FEES. They tell bold face lies in commercials, NO LATE PAYMENT FORGIVENESS! Had been with Discover for 16 years and never late. Spent a lot of money with them. I immediately cancelled this phony cut rate card. Tons of better cards out there. Would never recommend to anyone. Did not follow through with emails for payment or closure of account.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

First of all my husband has a FICO score of 777. When he first got his credit card which was only last month, he could view his score on discover.com but now it won't show up although he can see it on Fingerhut, not only that for the past week after he has already used the card, he has been locked out of his own account, he is locked out on the android app but on the website it just says technical difficulties and they are working on it.

So now we don't know our monthly bill which should have come out today, we don't know if account's closed because when we called the company earlier when automated teller came up it said account did not exist when I put in last 4 digits like it asked us to do. I am just thinking about transferring to another card, this is ridiculous... If you are smart steer away from this company. There are much better companies out there with much better customer service... We are now regretting even going with this company in the first place.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

Been with Discover since 2005 paying card protection but when I needed help with an overcharge Discover turn away, a merchant overcharge my card by $1280 back in May 2018. When I contacted Discover was told by the rep it would be easier to work it out with the merchant, month after month the merchant said he'll refund it but he never did. I contacted Discover after six months. Sent in all the text messages between myself and the merchant then was told by Discover I waited too long, Discover supposed to be an American base company but when a fraudulent charge was made on Discover card they turned their back on me. Beware. Stay away from Discover card because if ever you need them you're on your own.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I have owned many credit cards over the years to take advantage of 0% interest, discounts, etc. Discover is by far the best credit card company I have worked with. I've had the pleasure of utilizing them as my main credit card for over 10 years now. Their 5% cash back reward program is awesome and their superior customer service is next to none. I'm always connected to someone quickly who I can understand and who understands me. Credit disputes have always been resolved in a timely manner.

Most importantly, Discover notifies ME when they suspect fraudulent activity on my account. I keep a close eye on my account, but most recently, Discover reached out to me when someone had hacked into our Chipotle account and was racking up multiple transactions on our Discover card. Once I verified the activity was not ours, Discover immediately stopped any more transactions from hitting our account, closed our account, and issued new cards that were at our doorstep in two days.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I recently switched all of my recurring monthly expenses to Discover. BIG MISTAKE. One of these was the fee on my storage unit for $145 every 21st of the month. Discover froze the Dec 21 charge and suspended my card. WHY? The Oct 21 and Nov 21 charges for the same amount from the same merchant were right there on the account. What could possibly have prompted them to suspect the Dec 21 charge? I called them and asked them to please contact the merchant to ask them to re-run the charge. They refused. I asked them to explain why the charge was flagged as suspicious. They refused.

I have to take the time out of my day to verify that the charge is legit and then call my storage place and ask them to re-run the charge. I cannot trust a card that simply allows itself to go bat-crap crazy and not pay my merchants. What if there had been a late fee? Would Discover have paid it? I cannot have this uncertainty hanging over me. From now on, I will only use Discover for their 5% categories and nothing else.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

My credit is 777, I own my own home without a mortgage. I use 3 credit cards, two from Southwest Visa. One I use for the Frequent Flyer Points, the other

has auto deductions, stays in the house. Last year got a Costco credit card - an extra 2% off of Costco purchases. I pay these off in full every month for 15 years. No late fees ever... and Discover wanted me to sign something so they could check with the IRS to confirm my income for the past 2 years! And, shortly after my application, I began receiving up to 80 emails a days in my spam folder... this could be a coincidence, though wonder. Also when I called to see if the IRS thingie was real, transferred to 8 different departments. AVOID THESE PEOPLE. AVOID DISCOVER.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Discover has violated their own T&Cs and denied my genuine claim stating I returned my item. Returned items definitely are excluded from the price protection and I agree to that, however in my case, the item was NOT returned. I still have the item. Background: I purchased a computer on 10/26/2018 and I submitted my claim on 10/31. I later in the week stopped by at the Walmart store to buy '3 YR Protection plan' on 11/03 for my computer as Discover Card would no longer offer extended Warranty. Instead of just selling the 3YR extended plan to me, the Walmart Manager decided to return my purchase and re-sold it along with the protection plan. This is what he did, and now Discover denied my claim saying I returned my product. NO Discover NO... The item is still with me and I have all the proofs to show I still own the item.

Also I was not aware that just by doing this Discover will deny my claim or else I would have not gone to add protection plan. This is one of the worst customer service, and this shows how this company chose to abandon their customers. I have been using their cards, and now no more... No Discover. Also with such poor customer service, I would hesitate to use Discover ever again. Just want to make people aware of such inconsiderate customer service by Discover even at their Executive levels. When I reached out to them, they simply said, "Yes we understand what you are saying," but Walmart says, I have returned the item. Well, technically that is what it looks, but NO, I still have the item... Who will understand that why this situation happened. No... They won't.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Applied for Discover card and balance transfer. Have good credit, current Amex and Capital One cards. Lived in same home that I own and pay mortgage on in my name for the past 11 years. Solid auto leasing over 15 years. Discover is the only company I have ever had ask for my social security card to prove citizenship. Guess I was flagged due to my Hispanic last name. Wouldn't accept driver’s license, passport, etc. Demanded social security card and after pressing them customer service even openly admitted it was to prove citizenship. Demeaning and racists.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Discover is honestly a really horrible and greedy company. They appear friendly and honest at first glance but this is an illusion. Discover makes an art out of ripping off their customers. They will patiently await for your balance to increase at which point it's too late for you unless you have the cash to pay the full balance at once so you can close this scam card.

After the intro APR expires your interest charges and min. monthly payment will balloon every month until you're no longer to afford to keep forking over more and more money just to keep up with interest charges. Even a low balance of under a $1000 becomes unmanageable. At this point they will start hounding you and have no interest in helping to get your account back on track. They will sue you as fast as they can and tack on countless late and court fees. I was happy with this card for a year or so until their scheme for maximizing profits by ripping off customers became horribly apparent. They will legally steal your hard earned money one way or another. Please Trust me. Stay clear of this company and you will thank me later.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

As a single mother, you look for ways to lower debt and keep your finances in order. Like many, I had some debt and I was tired of paying a fee each month on that debt. I was tantalized by the Discover card commercials that portrayed card holders like family and offered no fees and 0 APR for 14 month. This sparked my interest as I knew that I could pay off my debt way before 14 months. The no fees sounded fabulous to me. So I applied for the Discover card and put in for a transfer. The transfer had a fee, of course, but it was less in the long run than getting a fee every month. I received my new card in the mail and I activated it immediately. I noticed that the transfer was not on my information. I gave it a couple days to see if it would show up. I had not received any notice that Discover was considering or even processing the transfer.

When I still didn't see that the transfer was on my statement, I thought that I may have done something wrong. I applied for the transfer again and it worked, but so did the first transfer. Frantic, I saw that I not only had a credit of 3000 on my old credit card, but I acquired more fees!!!! Upset, I called Discover card company and explained what had happened. They apologized for the happenings, but they explained that they could not put the transfer back, nor could they take that the extra fee off. I started to get really angry. I spoke to a supervisor and he too said the same thing the customer service rep. did, but added that I should be excited to have extra money on the old card for the holidays coming up. I could have reached into the phone and strangled him. I don't need extra money, I need to get myself out of debt.

I called the bank that my old credit card is with and it is going to take 30 days to get that money from the credit card to my bank account so that I can turn around and pay off one of my mistakes. Discover does not treat you like family nor do they care about their customer. I have learned from my mistake and will pay off my debt as planned then cancel the card with Discover. They will NEVER get my business again!!! Frustrated Single Mom.

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information