Find a Credit Cards partner

Discover

3.8/5 (1509 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I just got done applying for the Discover It cash back credit card. I was approved for $1000 which is to be paired with the Capitalone Quicksilver card. I have 10 months of credit history. I had a student loan written off plus I bunged an American Express card over a lost rental car back in the day. I skipped out on a few other things and had collection agencies after me until they finally gave up on me. With this kind of credit history it's a wonder I can get any kind of unsecured credit but Discover and Capitalone have really came through for me.

My credit cards are strictly for credit score work and I've reaped those benefits on my auto insurance. I've saved a lot in that department this past year. The extra $1000 credit I'm getting will help since my girlfriend and I like to stay in hotels, rent cars, etc. It's easy for me to utilize little available credit and pay it off early watching my score climb.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I had problems with my card being declined while paying for my tuition and I had the most helpful girls, Miss Paige and Miss Margie. I couldn't find a way to compliment them on the company website so hopefully they see it here one day but thank y'all so much! Y'all were both very sweet and helpful. <3 If you ever call Discover customer service I hope you receive these two wonderful women!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I have been that pain in the **, calls all the time, nitpicking, obsessing customer and Discover has gone well above and beyond every single time to resolve my issue(s)! All representatives are incredibly knowledgeable, well spoken, and go out of their way! Employees for most other companies will play the “other department” blame game, pass you back-and-forth, say they don’t know (and not offer or try to find out), blame other companies, or even put you on hold for long times only to be disconnected in the end. Instead these employees work together across-the-board, communicate with each other well, and take really good notes (so I’m not repeating myself).

I am not making this review based on one, two, or even three experiences, but many, many experiences and this has consistently been my experience. Every single person I’ve spoken with has been from the United States and all have been incredibly knowledgeable, well trained (you can tell they cross train in other departments), and respectful. When they didn’t know the answer to something, they found out; all I had to do was ask! They always have a good attitude and continue to go out of their way even when you are frustrated. Best of all, there are never long holds or endless automated systems! A couple days ago I actually was transferred correctly to three people for two separate problems and in under 8 min, my first issue resolved and I was already speaking to the last one for my other problem (which was resolved only a couple minutes later) —MIND BOGGLING!!!

Also of note, I’m not treated well bc I am some top tier client. I started with my Discover It secured credit card and gave them $200 of my own money to borrow. I paid off my balance every month religiously and without me even having to ask, they refunded my $200 and increased my credit limit to $1000 six months later.

I’m realizing this sounds like some fake review (at least that’s what I’d think if I read it), but rest assured Discover doesn’t need to seek out positive reviews, they’re already there. This has just been my experience. I felt compelled to make this review because I have been that person that doesn’t review often, but when I do it’s usually negative and I felt compelled to do this one because they have truly pressed me that much!! There are only two other companies I have done business with in the world (not credit card companies) that have impressed me with their customer service, but Discover tops them both! Please keep up the good work Discover! You have made a customer for life (provided you don’t change) and you are RARE! Thank you for making this part of my life as simple as it should be! I am truly grateful!!

Original review: June 7, 2021

Customer service always helpful, friendly and quick to resolve any issues and/or answer any questions. I had a question about some charges to my account and they were more than helpful to investigate while I was on the phone to help clear up my confusion and resolve any issues I had. This is the best credit card and bank I have ever worked with.

Original review: May 30, 2021

I was skeptical about opening an online bank account, not knowing if they were safe. However there was a really good promotion to open an account so I decided to give it a try. I absolutely love Discover Bank. While interest rates are not as high as they were when I opened my account I still like the bank and highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

"Unsubscribe" means nothing to Discover. Got my first Discover card a few months ago and the Spam started right away despite me making sure NOT to check the box to receive promotional emails. I unsubscribed at least 8-10 times and even spoke to customer service who ensured me the annoying emails would stop. They haven't. This should be against the law like soliciting someone after they have clearly said to put them on the Do Not Call list. Discover has no respect for its customers. I will close my account and just use the other cards I have.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I recently received a pre-approved offer from Discover which I acted on. I was approved immediately and informed via email a credit card would be forthcoming in the mail in 3-5 business days. A week later, The day before I was to receive the card I got a spam email from Discover of which I did not open. I called Discover to inquire if this was a valid email. They confirmed it was and that I had to submit tax returns in order to complete the process.

The customer service agent was extremely rude and combative. I told him this Bait and Switch tactic was intrusive and that my other credit card companies never requested this additional info since I have a good income and good credit. I cancelled the card and told them I was no longer interested in the card. An hour later these clowns sent me a survey request. You think I gave them any positive reviews? Discover is a Sleazy and Deceptive Non-transparent Credit Card Company. Don't waste your time. Good Riddance!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Denied 9 times in 3 years for Credit limit increase while I went from $9000 to $25000 with Navy Federal, $2000 to $13500 with Citi, $3000 to 15000 with Chase and unlimited with Amex. Never went over 5% using of all my credit cards. My credit score is perfect, I’m sick tired of Discover, I’m closing all my accounts.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I have been their customer for over 7 years. Recently they decline my transactions for unknown reasons. When I talked to a rude agent (Joe) on 11-14-21 he wasn’t able to take care of my issues. He just threatened me to close my credit card in next 10 days. Out of all credit cards that I have been worked Discover is the worst. Their customer service is not satisfactory at all. I regret working with this company. Terrible credit card company and have the worst customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

Called for assistance about skipping a payment due to Covid, was currently out of work. They said they couldn't help me but wanted a payment ASAP which I didn't have. I will be paying off my card and switching to a different company.

Discover Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information