2. Finance

Discover

Discover
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.47/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: July 26, 2020

I have had numerous credit cards by far Discover is my favorite one. Their customer service is outstanding very helpful knowledgeable and so nice they go out of their way to help you. I like them so much I added a new card a few months ago. They also pickup on scams when your purchasing something get instant text if you still want to purchase you text back yes. I also love pulling up my accounts online very understandable. One of my cards which isn’t Discover made online account. It was impossible. Come to find out wasn’t just me. They got the kinks out but very rare using that card so didn’t bother to try new site out.

The rewards are great. Every 3 months they change businesses to get cash back and the stores October to December are the stores I always shop at them. It’s Christmas time so your rewards add up quick. I had always heard Discover was great plus my sister loves her locked in interest rate. Discover for me is my favorite and you can always talk to a human 24 hrs even with the virus no one has that surprised me. Five stars. Best charge card by far.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I honestly cannot stress enough how wonderful Discover is. I am a Discover It credit card holder & have been so impressed with them. Years ago when I first applied I was young, had very little if any credit history. Discover was willing to give me a shot where most others wouldn't. So our relationship began, I believe I had a $2000 credit limit which at the time seemed like a lot. Fast forward to a few years later, I moved to another state with my kids & husband & our moving expenses were more than we realized they would be. I called Discover & asked for more credit, explained the situation & even though it was months before I could officially request a credit increase they again took a chance, made an exception & helped me. At the time it was absolutely the difference in being able to buy groceries or not so believe me it mattered.

Fast forward several years later to today. Covid19 is upon us & my family has lost all of our income (temporarily). Once again I called Discover to see about a payment arrangement & within minutes a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I also want to make it clear I have an account with another MAJOR credit card company & they could have cared less what we were going through. It's like night & day dealing with Discover vs my other credit card company. Discover has been there for me to help with every major crisis my family has had money wise. If you pay your bill on time & make an effort they will go to great lengths to help you & they do it in a responsible manner, they don't just give you a huge credit line then throw you to the wolves when you go through hard times. Discover is in my opinion the best credit card company out there. I've been with them for many years & I plan to stay with them.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I find myself often getting riled up when I run across a terrible company, but rarely share the same exuberance when I find a gem. Discover's online bank is one of those gems. I opened an account about a year ago, and cannot be more pleased. Their high interest savings account is just that, maintaining interest rates far above the average 160x higher than the savings account I used to have. The checking account, while not interest bearing, is efficient and I have yet to incur ANY fee. Not one fee! I get 1% cashback every month like clock work simply for using the debit card. Needless to say, I pay every bill with the Discover debit card. The website is clean, efficient and easy to navigate. And if you do have a question, I challenge you to call them and be disappointed. Kudos to Discover and I recommend them to anyone that does not need to visit a brick and mortar bank.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I had to file a dispute with Discover that was over 6 months old. I never received a wedding package that I paid for and it turns out that the company just closed. I followed up with the company and never heard a response so I thought I would call to see if I can dispute the charges. Discover was so helpful and empathetic to my situation. I was pretty emotional and they took care of my request. They reversed the charges. I’m so grateful for their assistance. I would much rather have the wedding package but since my odds are against me, I’m glad they were able to alleviate the financial burden of paying for something that I never received. Amazing experience with Discover!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I just checked my balance today - I thought I had overpaid my account by about $40, so I was SHOCKED when I logged in to see I owed over $150! I immediately called customer service, and had the pleasure of speaking with Katie in the Salt Lake City office (local to me). The call was after normal business hours (8pm on 12/03/2019). Katie was incredibly kind and patient while I was a little bit panicked. She calmly talked things through with me as we figured out that in setting up my payment options on their site, I had entered the information incorrectly, resulting in the payment being kicked back by my bank. Even though the error was 100% my fault, Katie went above and beyond to help me get it sorted out. I cannot say enough good things about her, and Katie, if you ever see this: Seriously - Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I got the Discover card by transferring 3 cards. So in no way was I using it just paying the monthly amount. Paid down 3000 and wanted a new card to transfer 3 cards to different discover card. Talk to customer service applied for new card got decline. Never told other card was frozen and that you cant get new card until after a year. I never heard him say my card would be frozen and I cant get any new credit card until a year goes by. Corporate didnt help either. Tired of credit cards!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I Closed one of my cards and paid the entire balance of over $900. A couple of months later I have 30 day past due charge on my credit report from interest generated after I closed and paid off the balance. I received no communication from Discover to advise of this charge. I have not had a past due charge for over 3 years on any credit card or account. This caused my score to drop by 96 points. No one at discover has been willing to resolve this matter so I will be closing my other card.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2020

I just got a Discover card and use it a few times. When I go to the store to buy soap and my card declined I called the and couldn’t get nowhere. Never got a voicemail. They said I posted to got and they claim I need a security code message that I still haven’t received. Can’t even cancel the card or anything so I am not happy to be a first time credit card holder so I got a card that I cannot use. Try to give them zero stars but I had to give them one.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

I’ve been with this company for over 6 years and always made all my payments even paid off 10k with them and since this pandemic started my family has been struggling and I reached out to make arrangements for payment and the next day after I told them I’m struggling they shut down my online access and threatened to close my card if I didn’t comply and give them access to my tax returns with the IRS. I file my taxes jointly and my husband is not on this credit card and he refuses to give someone that access to his information and said that’s ridiculous and intrusive.

So I reached back out to them since this was supposedly to verify my identity and told them the situation and they said then they have no other choice than to close my account. I find this behavior of this company during such a hard time for our country to be less than caring for their customers. Especially one that’s trying to do the right thing and pay them back. I think someone should look into this because it sounds very unethical.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Discover offered me a loan at 6% interest & I am able to repay adding $100 to the $96.00 monthly repayment Plan without any additional consequences. Of course I was offered this low interest rate because of my good credit rating but it was a lower interest than my credit card & helped me pay for an unexpected auto expense.

Discover Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information