Find a Credit Cards partner

Discover

3.9/5 (1626 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I had problems with my card being declined while paying for my tuition and I had the most helpful girls, Miss Paige and Miss Margie. I couldn't find a way to compliment them on the company website so hopefully they see it here one day but thank y'all so much! Y'all were both very sweet and helpful. <3 If you ever call Discover customer service I hope you receive these two wonderful women!

Original review: June 25, 2021

I have been that pain in the **, calls all the time, nitpicking, obsessing customer and Discover has gone well above and beyond every single time to resolve my issue(s)! All representatives are incredibly knowledgeable, well spoken, and go out of their way! Employees for most other companies will play the “other department” blame game, pass you back-and-forth, say they don’t know (and not offer or try to find out), blame other companies, or even put you on hold for long times only to be disconnected in the end. Instead these employees work together across-the-board, communicate with each other well, and take really good notes (so I’m not repeating myself).

I am not making this review based on one, two, or even three experiences, but many, many experiences and this has consistently been my experience. Every single person I’ve spoken with has been from the United States and all have been incredibly knowledgeable, well trained (you can tell they cross train in other departments), and respectful. When they didn’t know the answer to something, they found out; all I had to do was ask! They always have a good attitude and continue to go out of their way even when you are frustrated. Best of all, there are never long holds or endless automated systems! A couple days ago I actually was transferred correctly to three people for two separate problems and in under 8 min, my first issue resolved and I was already speaking to the last one for my other problem (which was resolved only a couple minutes later) —MIND BOGGLING!!!

Also of note, I’m not treated well bc I am some top tier client. I started with my Discover It secured credit card and gave them $200 of my own money to borrow. I paid off my balance every month religiously and without me even having to ask, they refunded my $200 and increased my credit limit to $1000 six months later.

I’m realizing this sounds like some fake review (at least that’s what I’d think if I read it), but rest assured Discover doesn’t need to seek out positive reviews, they’re already there. This has just been my experience. I felt compelled to make this review because I have been that person that doesn’t review often, but when I do it’s usually negative and I felt compelled to do this one because they have truly pressed me that much!! There are only two other companies I have done business with in the world (not credit card companies) that have impressed me with their customer service, but Discover tops them both! Please keep up the good work Discover! You have made a customer for life (provided you don’t change) and you are RARE! Thank you for making this part of my life as simple as it should be! I am truly grateful!!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Customer service always helpful, friendly and quick to resolve any issues and/or answer any questions. I had a question about some charges to my account and they were more than helpful to investigate while I was on the phone to help clear up my confusion and resolve any issues I had. This is the best credit card and bank I have ever worked with.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

Discover credit card is awesome. I was able to open up a new card with not only 0% interest but also 0% balance transfer. I am so glad to say I was able to pay off all my debt. Thanks to Discover. They are definitely a top grade credit card company, they have worked their way up. For your next card don't even hesitate get a Discover card.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

This is an excellent credit card for their cash back rewards on quarterly categories. The categories change every three months and are not always in areas we use a lot. But when they are, they are worth a whopping 5% back on categories such as gas stations, restaurants, wholesale clubs (Costco, Sam's, etc.), Walmart, E-Bay, or even any online merchant. Past problems of acceptance at some merchants have been resolved: the Discover card is accepted almost everywhere now.

The card is FREE (no annual fee), billing is accurate, and their attention to online and PoP purchases is exemplary. While Discover's interest rates are on the high side, this is no issue for people who pay their balances every month. The cash back rewards are also very easy to use. They can come as balance credits or be applied to PayPal or Amazon purchases... or even as checks if desired. There are also no restrictions on types of purchases they can be applied toward. One caveat: except for the wonderful 5% categories, the cash back reward is comparatively very low on all other purchases, so I only recommend using this card for those quarterly categories.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Made a purchase, returned it per Discover’s request. Now I have no product, out the money for the return shipping and Discover now refuses to refund any of my money. They want me to speak with a “billing supervisor”. But they are never around to speak with and all I am told is they will call you back within 24/48 hours. They never do, so this “dispute” has been going on for 4 months now. THEY DO NOT SUPPORT THEIR CUSTOMERS AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABYSMAL AT BEST!!! Go with the APPLE card instead. They stand by their customers and have great customer service. They actually speak with you on your time, not when it is convenient for them.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I would not recommend Discover as a credit card service. I was a customer since 2013 and have recently changed my Amazon account to be paid for under a different card when I was still charged by Discover for this Amazon subscription. The representative did not assist me in any way, only informed me that I was required to pay the amount in full and that they would not be waiving the late fee even though I have been a customer for eight years. You are better off looking towards a better credit card company if you would like to find a card to use.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

got 2 jewelry items advertised 66 grams each and each were ONLY 45 grams and they ruled in the merchant's favor in my dispute. Had almost TWO OUNCES of silver STOLEN and I'm NEVER spending with them!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

After years with this company, Discover closed my account WITHOUT WARNING, due to a review and finding a zero balance. When I called to ask about it, they said unfortunately it’s final. No cares at all.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Have Disc. card since it's inception. No problem until now. Saw an ad and ordered online a small battery powered chain saw. Pictures and video included a picture of name brand. Extremely low priced (which should have alerted) Did not receive what was pictured and described on the order, but in very small pale blue letters was what I received. Did some research and found this was a scam and there were many complaints. Disputed the charge, offered to return item, sent photos, etc, and dispute denied. Penalized for my gullibility, they were rewarded for their duplicity.

Discover Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information