Discover
1.41/5
  • 1 star
Based on 94 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Discover

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

613 Discover Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

How is that if you don't even have a Discover card, some moron at your office can send for payment from my bank in such a way as it goes through? Several times over the past few weeks, someone has been paying their bill with my checking account. I have corrected it at the bank and will do so again tomorrow for the new erroneous taking of my hard earned money. You folks need to get your act together and I will NEVER have a Discover card because of this!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Discover card offered me a lower interest and 0% interest on balance transfers and dollar for dollar match of rewards earned after my first year of earning rewards. The online app process was flawless and approval granted within 20 seconds of pressing the submit button. Offered a generous credit line of 5k so I can transfer a balance and get my car repairs paid off quickly that I had to charge to a different CC but the interest on the other card kills me so I am excited about getting this paid off. I originally applied to BOA who denied my request, which was a joke given I have good FICO of 750, solid income, and only 1 out of 6 credit cards that carries a balance, which thanks to Discover, will be paid off soon due to the 0% interest for at least 12 mo on balance transfers! Anyway, thank you DISCOVER!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

Do not get this card. I deposited $700 to get a pre-paid card. I have been using card for 9 months and making payment monthly when I use the card. I received a bill for $689.00 and made a payment for $189 on 12/27/17 on 01/06/18 tried to make a grocery store purchase of $17 was declined. When I called Discover said there is a hold on my $189 and it was not applied to my account yet!!! There a eight business day hold on my payment. So, Discover has $700 plus my $189 which means Discover has $889 of my money and I only have a $500 balance. You will not have use of the money on the account and your credit score really does not improve if you have anything negative on your credit report. Not a good pre-paid card.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I have had a Discover Card credit card for 17 years. Having been with them so long perhaps it is shame on me but recently I've noticed their lack of solution, customer service and peppering me with text messages of ads, even though I have asked them to stop. On the phone they can seem nice like the commercials but they do not provide resolutions. I got an email from a Mckay and then Sabina but neither got it done. They talk the talk in their TV commercials but the delivery and execution of actual execution shows that they are blowing smoke up our ass. Discover needs to actually listen to their customers and provide solutions. Don't just thank us for contacting them and choosing Discover but be truly authentic and provide real solutions.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I really do not understand all these negative reviews about Discover card. I have been with them for 9 years now, I have two cards, the Discover It and the Discover Chrome. They are great when you have a problem and I can understand them on the phone, unlike other cards where the accent is so heave I have no idea what they are saying. From what I gather on all the negative reviews, it is mostly people who mismanage their account and then blame Discover. All you have to do is be reasonable, pay your bill on time, don't go over your CL, and do any disputes on their website like I do. They are always fast to respond and they are very friendly. I love my Discover cards and you will too if you maintain your accounts properly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I opened a Discover secured credit card account approximately two years ago. Approximately a year after I opened the account, Discover sent my security deposit back and converted my account to an unsecured account. They also raised my credit limit. I always paid my payments on time and kept my balance low, if not zero. One morning, I was checking my emails and saw that Discover sent me an email saying that my account was being closed. I knew it had to be a mistake because my credit and score had improved since opening the account and there was no common-sense reason that a company would push a stellar customer away. I called the department I was referred to regarding this situation and was told that during periodic review there were some derogatory marks on my credit report.

I told the representative, that anything that is derogatory on my credit report was on there when I first opened the account hence the reason I started off with a secured account. I also explained that if anything my credit report has improved, they stuck with that same story that makes no sense. I told that lady to remove me from all advertisements, don't send me any emails or offers. If Discover is so arrogant and treat their customers like crap, I want nothing to do with them.

This was such a shock to me because performance on that account was perfect, as well as all other open accounts on my credit report that were present when I first opened the Discover account. There are too many companies to do business with than to tolerate the arrogance and total disregard for customers. I thought to myself "What if I was on vacation and planned to use this card only during that vacation?" I would have been screwed. This company is garbage no matter how many commercials saturate the TV.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I opened 10/2014 during a time of re-building my credit. Over the past 3 years I carried a balance, made every payment on time, and paid more than the minimum required. In those three years I was able to raise my credit score almost 100 points higher than when my card was issued. I was able to finally payoff my entire balance of $1300.00. My intention was to keep a zero balance but keep the card as a safety net till I built up my savings again. I find out 1 month before Christmas shopping season that I was no longer worthy enough to be a cardholder. I was punished by them for not carrying a balance. Be careful if you are someone that depends on this credit line, they treat a pay off as a negative. Credit One bank raised my limit as a reward for paying off my balance with them. Who treats their customers better????

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I contacted Sears for a new garage door remote control and told them specifically what system I had. They sent the wrong item. I tried to send it back but they wouldn't send a shipping label. Then they sent the right product. I tried again to return the wrong product. They sent me a label to return the right product, which I wanted to keep. Then they told me I could return it to the store. When I went, the store refused to take it back. I asked sears again for a shipping label. They sent the wrong one again. After that, they said there was nothing they could do. I documented all the chats with sears, sent them to discover and said I would not pay for the wrong product that sears would not let me return. Discover sided with Sears, saying I had to produce proof that I had returned the item. How can I return it if sears won't take it? Apparently discover cannot comprehend catch-22. Anyway, Discover sides with the merchant, not with the customer.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I just can't believe, I'm amazed by the genuinity of the customer care and how they make your life so much easier. After my recent experience with hurricane Maria losing everything I not only never had to call Discover to ask for help, they had already set my account for a 3 months grace period to start paying them again from the catastrophe, then without me having to contact them, they set another courtesy one month extension until January, 2018. They have just called me because I am slightly above my credit line which is 5,000 and they even offered to place a $20 credit to help me balance that out just because they want to show their appreciation.

They are the most caring when it comes to consumer service. Plus they have the best products and offers. They helped me build my credit since 2015 when my credit score was 577 (Credit Karma). Discover sent me an offer and trusted me with a line of 4,500 which then was increased this year 2017 by 500. My credit was at 720 at some point this year thanks to Discover, now I have to start working my way up again thanks to a few poor judgement decisions like applying for several credit cards in short period of time and then having them maxed out because of the hurricanes emergency. If you are responsible and are searching for the best credit card, with lots of rewards, lots of features like account freeze, access to FICO scores, flexible due dates programmed by you, easy access to online statements and recent transactions, balance and payment history... stop looking, call Discovery, you're welcome.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have had an account with Discover for some time. Today I tried to transfer money. Their website didn't work. They shifted me first to a tech advisor, then finally to a supervisor. After 40 minutes, we got it to work - sort of. But I couldn't transfer funds! They sent in a trial deposit! I will have to wait to transfer funds, but now want to get them all out of Discover. Find another place!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Attention viewers, I am making a complaint about Discover Card. I want to file a complaint on my credit card Discover for being completely dishonest and for not following through with how they were going to help me a Bait & Switch merchant; they (Discover Card) basically conned and lied to me. I called and made a dispute on a television to Discover that I decline to accept when I got a receipt on free shipping I made online through a merchant. But 2 hours later I got a call from the TV merchant. They wanted to add $388 more for shipping. I said cancel order right now and they would not but they call me (the merchant) to ask if I would approve to $388.00.

I said no but I called Discover Card to report the matter that I declined a TV purchase as I provided them a receipt stating I had the actual price on the item and not the price I was charge on my Discover card. Discover said, "Ok, we'll investigate the matter," and they appeared to believe I was telling them the truth. But 2 weeks later, I look on my Discover account (as Discover never notify me too) and noticed they reverse the chargeback on my account. They said I agreed to the charge and I said, "No. I didn't". I send read the receipt, it says free shipping and I said I decline to accept order to the merchant but Discover said this and that but then they denied me.

They said they would step in to go after shipping fees and or trying to return the item since I gave them information they stated on the merchant's website. They would take returns on a certain size (Discover lied and didn't) and they also told me that since I was unhappy with the outcome, they would give me a courtesy credit of $500.00 (Discover lied on that too). Discover said we could call the merchant to ask them to take the TV back as I said they have information on their site stating but Discover card didnt do that either. I found it interesting when I spoke to the first person who took my information over the phone on my dispute and 2 weeks later, I spoke to another Discover claims person who wasn't helpful nor would she read them.

What I want is a complete refund, I was completely mistreated by Discover card disputes department but they also lied to me by what they were going to do, they didn't do. Seriously, why would I use my credit card for protection on this matter, I thought I had confidence with Discover would be there for me if I had a problem with the merchant but in this matter. Discover was not helpful at all and in fact I think they wanted the merchant to get their money so Discover could get interests from my credit for example because they had the facts right in front of them, plain & simple but they mislead me.

On top of this matter, I have read all these negative online reviews on Discover and it's all negative information so it's my view I am dealing with a credit card that mistreats their customers on so many matters that I have a reason to file my complaints because I am not alone on this matter. I feel completely cheated & mislead by Discover and I prepared to share my story online if they don't.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I cosigned a loan for my son. I ended up having to pay it back. It was supposed to be a fixed rate loan. They do raise the interest rate every year. They have never lowered the interest rate. I make the payments yet the only access I have to the account is to make a payment. I cannot look back at the history of the account. Half the time the online payment system is out of order and I have to call a stranger and make my payment over the phone. I don't receive any mail nor any other information about this loan I am paying. They don't treat me like a customer and I recommend going with any other loan company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I was minding my own business one day, when I received a letter from Discover Card asking me to PROVE my citizenship… REALLY? I threw the letter in the trash and went on with my life. I have a CC account with them for over 10 years – no late payments, ever. Suddenly, the calls start coming in. Most do not leave a message, one caller hung on breathing into the phone until the machine cut off. Twice, a message was left urgently stating for me to call them back… Something about “security.” So I call back, thinking I am going to be told that someone is trying to get an account in my name, or that someone tried to use my card #... Something to that effect. No, I was asked a litany of personal questions, which immediately raised a red flag.

I have several credit cards and only Discover is doing this interrogation of their cardholders. When I asked why they needed more info, I was told that they can’t tell me. WHAT! So, I declined to answer the rest of the questions and said goodbye. A few weeks later, I go to make a phone payment on my Discover card, as I have done for years. I was immediately routed to a live person, who then started grilling me with questions. I again asked, what is this all about? Again, I was told that they cannot disclose that information. I stated that I just want to pay my bill. I was told that I had to answer the questions FIRST.

I felt like I was in the twilight zone. After arguing back and forth, I hung up. I was so put off by how Discover treats their customers that I called back to ask them to close out my account… In which I was told, again, that I needed to answer the questions before they would do that. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! Something VERY shady going on with Discover.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I opened a Discover Card to take advantage of their lengthy interest free time period on balance transfers from another credit card and in fact I have had no interest charged on that balance transfer amount. I have also been using the card for regular charges at stores, restaurants, GAs etc and have paid those charges IN FULL each month. However interest has been charged on those amounts even though payment was made in full by the due date. When I called to inquire about this I was told that if you have a open balance on a cash balance transfer you lose the interest free period on regular charges. In other words you will be charged interest on regular charges FROM THE DATE THE CHARGE WAS MADE even if the regular charges were paid in full by the due date. Be very careful when deciding whether to open a Discover Card. It is not as consumer friendly as they would have you believe.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My account was closed "inability to pay" when my balance was Discover owing me 180.00. My rewards removed. After hours and transfers they admitted that they received email that I was dead. After another hour on the phone I received a message that a credit report was causing a problem. The death department told I would have to be transferred to another... I said close my account, send my refund and then all of a sudden my rewards disappeared. They were in cahoots with Equifax and did not care about their millions of customers because losing one did not matter.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have to tell you that I am insulted by this. I have paid my bill without fail, since opening this account. Two years ago: YOUR machine reader debited my account incorrectly... that was FINALLY resolved, and my 'late charges' 'forgiven'. Three months ago, your COMPUTER PROGRAM stopped sending me invoices... for some random, stupid reason (...address unverified... WTHeck???). And, now, you send me an email with the verbiage: "This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained may be used for that purpose." REALLY????

I will have you know that I will not be using this credit card EVER AGAIN, I will pay off my balance and be done with you. You DO NOT have great customer service... even though your representatives are great, you rely too heavily on your faulty computer programs, and proceed as if the 'computer is always right', rather than, 'the customer is always right'.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

These guys will decrease your credit line with no notification whatever no matter your payment history or balance. I called and FINALLY got someone on the line I could halfway understand and she informed me it was because I had too many inquiries on my credit report. Sorry. Nothing we can do. I am going to pay the balance on this card and use it once a month for a Dr Pepper and a bag of chips. That's it. Oh and I am going to insist on a paper statement. Dropping the electronic billing as of today.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I am currently unemployed and have fallen behind on my payments. I reached out to Discover, via their live chat service, in order to arrange a payment plan. At first the representative, Raquel, told me that nothing could be done and that payment was due when it was due. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She says that she is an "account manager." So she refused to let me speak to her supervisor. Then she says I might qualify for a payment program. She asks a lot of redundant questions, I say yes to everything, she confirms my bank account number and social security number. I'm good to go. Then I receive an email saying that if I don't make a payment I'll be sent to collections. There's no mention of the payment plan. I wasted my time setting up. Do not waste your time with this company. They are incompetent and have no sympathy.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Been a good customer for 2 years. Never missed a payment, mostly paid 2 times a month and always more than basic amount, then I took cash out, used it for a trip, paid it back in 1 week as well as 1500 in payments, then I try to use card. It gets declined. I call to find out why and they penalized me for the cash advance and lowered my credit limit without notifying me. Luckily I was not on vacation at the time otherwise I could have been in trouble. I called and talked to 3 people and none would help me. Stay away from these people. They are terrible.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I asked to pay the card off in full. Customer Service gives me an amount and I pay under 1000$ to close account. 10$ charge shows up. Each person I speak to has a different source for this charge. I pay it. The following month I get a bill...10$ charge again. I now have a late pay on my credit report. I call them again. Can you please help me clean this up. My credit was perfect before I got this stupid card and used it for 'one month' and attempted to pay the bill in full!!! No one mentioned any charges pending or interest fees or anything else. Ironically, Discover owes me 30$ in rewards! Their credit department says... "sorry, we can't tell the credit bureau anything other than, you were late paying this charge." I love how hard these companies work to get your business and how easily they're willing to let those same customers go. I have 4 other cards and I have NO issues and they work with me whenever I have a problem.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

The advertisement mailed to me stated to consolidate your bills at a low 2.9 APR which wasn't true. Discover has me locked in at 10.99 APR. I called to see if they would decrease my APR and they said "NO" even though they are getting their payment directly from my bank every month. Consumers Beware! Don't trust Discover in giving you a low interest APR. It's all false advertisement.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My Dad passed owing this company $800. He had paid $7,200 off. The account got passed on to the estate collections agency. I received a call 2 weeks ago, a call last week, a call this week, a Creditor's Claim letter and a letter saying that they would give me a "hardship reduction" if I pay by the end of October. The woman who has been calling demanded payment. She said they'd give me a short amount of time to pay them $405. Then the offer would expire. I explained to her that there is very little money. I need it to pay for the administration of the trust. The only other asset is the house. I'm living in it. SO, what do they expect? That I sell the house right out from under myself just to pay them? I do not appreciate being hammered on by someone else's bill collector or threatened either. MOST OF THE OTHER COMPANIES are writing the debt off. Cut throat Discover.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Purchased a new TV, approved for 6500. Through company finance promotion. Rest was charged to Discover Card. One week later vendor decreased price $1000. I requested price match. It was approved. Television vendor canceled original sales order. They created a new sales order for $5995. I requested Discover Card to be credited with original charge. Company agreed to refund amount to Discover Card. This never occurred. Filed chargeback with Discover. I provided both sales invoice as proof. Discover sided with merchant. Discover Card canceled by me.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I took $10000 loan from Discover card at the fixed interest rate of 9.9%. First and second month interest amount was $82 and $66. But third and fourth month interest goes up to $95 and $107. I am making payment on time and interest rate is 9.9%. Fixed interest amount suppose to be lower down every month but dumb people does not want listen anything. NEVER TAKE ANY LOAN IN FUTURE.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

A card was opened in my name without my permission. $5000+ worth charged up in one month. Fraud dept was empathetic at first. They confirmed the fraud but are holding me liable for the amount anyway. Then to top that off I received a nasty default letter a week later. I couldn't even talk with an acct manager because the acct was closed for the fraud investigation. So first I'm being held liable for something I didn't do and second I'm getting nasty default letters on an acct that couldn't even be accessed during the investigation.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Discover Card is honestly the worst credit card and customer service I have ever experienced. I had been a member at Discover for over 10 years. During that time, I had never made a late payment, always paid off my balance in full and maintain an excellent credit score. On 8/31/17, my card was shut off. I received a letter in the mail two days later that Discover had "closed" my account. When I called to inquire as to why (several times), I was told that Discover "could not tell me why" and to "write a letter to Discover's headquarters." This is 2017. There was no reason why my account should have been shut off, and Discover couldn't/wouldn't even tell me why. On top of that, I had over $50.00 in cash back that was apparently, automatically revoked.

I called Discover FIVE times to inquire why I would not receive this cash back, and each time, received a different answer. The first time, they applied the credit --and then Discover charged it back. The second time, they told me it would show up in a few days -- it never did. The third time, that I would receive a check. This never happened. The way that I was treated -- after being a valued member for 10 years, was pitiful. To cancel my account without warning or reason and revoke the rewards I earned, is unacceptable. I will never again do business with Discover, and will actively discourage anyone I know to do the same.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I foolishly signed up for a trial of a product Gain XT after reading an article in ESPN with them endorsing it through a sports writer. It was free but I had to provide a credit card to ship the product which I provided my Discover. The ad said 1 month trial and you don't need to cancel. I was billed 14 days later and monthly until July. Calling monthly to cancel and request a refund. I disputed the charges with Discover in June and the company did it again and billed my account in July. I did not send the bottle back in July to see what would happen. Discover sided with the company. This company is called Rippedx on the Discover transaction report.

When they got their legal department involved it was through a Limited Liability Company - Quell, LLC. When you call the company it is an obvious Indian call center directing you elsewhere transferring a few times and then they tell me to send product back. These are the companies Discover is protecting - it's pretty clear Discover probably cared more about the interest they will be making by making sure they re-posted the transactions back to the original dates to make certain they received the interest on 360$ my account is in. The one redeeming quality about it the Freeze button on the mobile app and it will stay that way until I transfer to another more consumer friendly card.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Only applied for this card due to the fact my child's daycare only takes Discover. I have an 839 Fico score with my house being paid in full. Applied online and received a call from Discover saying I was approved with a $7,000 credit limit and all they need is a copy of my Address and Social Security card which I had to e-mail (which first of all is scary over the web). I reluctantly sent the info over the web and then they sent me a letter saying I was not approved due to not able to verify app information.

Called them back to see if they got my SS and license and they said yes they got it and couldn't approve me after one of their reps already told me it was approved, This rep was also very snotty, THIS IS REALLY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES DISCOVER!! Warning to potential customers, the app process is a Pain I.T. A and dangerous to have to send critical information over the web, the Customer Service is lacking, and they have bad business practices by telling customers one thing and then go back on their word.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

BEWARE! DISCOVER CARD DOES NOT PROTECT THE CLIENT/ CARD HOLDER - ON 11/23/16, I had a online buyer of a ring make a payment to my Discover card of $3400. I spoke with rep of Discover and was instructed not to give the ring until his payment cleared which would take 3 business days. Well after 5 business days I spoke with another rep and recorded the call. I asked him if payment had cleared and he informed yes it had 2 days ago. I then asked "is there any way in hell for this buyer to be able to take back this payment?" His Answer "NO MAM NOT AT ALL, The money is already in your Discover card account." I said, "then I can give him his item and be assured he cant take the money back???" He again Said "YES MAM. As a matter of fact you're over you're now PAID IN FULL and have extra money on card. Therefore would you like us to send you a check for that balance?" I said Sure.

He then put me through to another rep who verified that money was in account and took my bank account info to issue me refund check into bank since my Discover card was now paid in full with more money (approx $300). So I contact the buyer and he picks up the ring. 2 weeks later I'm on my Discover account and see that the next day 11/29, the buyer closed his bank account and was able to GET HIS MONEY BACK.

I called Discover, did investigation and they also verified that they also heard the recording on our conversation on the 28th and THEIR EMPLOYEE DID IN FACT assure me numerous times the buyer could not take the money back" but there was nothing they could do. As far I'm concerned DISCOVER card is responsible for their employee giving me that information. It's in my Discover notes today as I just confirmed. Need the BBB and Consumer Affairs to hold Discover card responsible for this loss and pay me the $3400 I lost because of them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I've been trying to cancel my mom's Discover credit. My mom passed on 7/21/16. I've provided to Discover the death certificate, will and court order for estate. They won't cancel the card and want me to go through the process again. Don't they understand it's a difficult time when your parents pass away? My dad passed on 4/22/16 so it's been a tough time.

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information

www.discover.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use