Discover

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On 2/24/2017, I initiated a dispute with Discover Card Services over a purchase that I made as I was having an issue with the merchant. I contacted Discover to initiate a dispute and everything that was told to the representative was not placed into the dispute. Instead the representative initiated a dispute that was totally the opposite of what I said and the information I provided to them and if they record they calls like they say they do, then they should be able to go back and hear what was said. This is the second time that I have had a problem with how their disputes team handles disputes. I will not be doing business with them after this is all said and done because this is not good business and they do not listen to what their consumers tell them. I should not have had to call in to them to find out that what I said and what was written was totally wrong.

I filled out the form – they made a hard hit to my credit to discover I had excellent credit. They asked me for information over and over again - multiple times - kept sending me emails requesting information even though I made it clear I did not answer emails from banks or any other billing or credit institution. One week later they still had the same questions to ask again and still had not approved my credit. Money is one thing but time you never get back and they were a complete waste of my time and energy. I told them to stop all processing on my card that I was no longer interest. People respect yourself - respect your time. Never let any business, person, place or thing waste your time. I discovered Discover Card was a total waste of my space and time.

I have had my Discover Card since 1995. While checking my credit score, I noticed my Discover account was closed which affected my longest standing credit history. I spoke to Customer Service, he could not trace ANY evidence of notification (email or mail) after. I asked to speak to supervisor. When I spoke to the supervisor, she informed me immediately that a promotion had been mailed to my address and since I did not take advantage of that promotion, they closed my account: a promotion is not the same as a notification that my card would be closed. I never received that promotion, either. I felt they were covering their mistake and falsely putting the blame on me.

I understand that I had not used that card in about five years and carried a zero balance. However, I strongly feel, they should have notified me of their intent. If I would have known my card was going to be closed, I would have easily made a charge. Customer Service Supervisor sounded "fishy" and their excuses seem made up. When I asked them to either email me or mail me the promotion letter, they were not able to since I was no longer a member. All in all, there are so many other banks, do not open a card with Discover. They are not helpful or will not admit any wrong-doing.

After reading other reviews I realized that my experience was not unique - a lot of people reported similar problems with Discover. To state it simply - it is a company with the most predatory credit practices compared to some others. They start you early - as a student you are likely to get your first credit card from them and they become your BEST friend. While you have a job and stability you are fine and they will be happy to give you access to credit... only to wait until that moment when something goes wrong in your life, a possible financial hiccup or hardship. Then they cut your credit limit, destroy your credit score, increase your APR (to the highest ever), keep feeding off you or close your account.

And if you suddenly recover - they will keep that troubled credit history that they themselves created against you. This is not a friend you want to keep around as you progress through life. It is not a company that can give you a hand when you suddenly stumble. It is a predator that feeds you only to feed off you later. RUN when you still can... or be eaten. Learn from my mistakes, not yours. In comparison, other credit cards proved to be more generous and helpful, even Citibank or (another predator) Bank of America.

I am completely unhappy with Discover. Discover FAILED to notify me in any way that my debit card on file had expired so my automatic payment did not process. They notified me by phone that I had "missed" a payment but not until my account was 70 days delinquent which then dropped my credit score. I called Discover today to get this rectified and they told me they sent me emails regarding this situation... Well I NEVER received one email about a "missing" payment. I am in the middle of getting a consolidation loan and because of Discover's error, I am now unable to get the best percentage rate my Credit Union offers. I am so beyond frustrated - once my bill is paid in full I WILL NEVER USE DISCOVER AGAIN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Make any request to Discover Bank and you will get the standard. It will take seven to ten business days to respond... (English Translation: TWO WEEKS). I requested prepaid deposit envelopes over two weeks ago and still have not received them. In response to my request for prepaid deposit envelopes, I received, over two weeks later, deposit slips with my name misspelled on the correspondence. I have had an account with them for fourteen years. I have three accounts with this bank and as quickly as possible, I am going to cancel them all!! This is not the first time I have had difficulty getting even response to even the most rudimentary requests. They need to change the title of their customer service to Cuss service.

Discover credit card dispute process don't protect the rights of their card holders as other credit card companies do. I purchased a furniture in a physical store, and received a wrong item. Then I immediately returned the furniture but the seller disagree to refund me. I started the dispute process with my Discover Discover it customer service. Two months later, they forcibly closed the case ruling I should pay the full amount even the furniture is returned. Can I give a 0 rating to this rogue bank?

I have 10 credit cards with different companies and Discover savings and credit card. Their customer service is the best hands down! They are available 24/7 and reaching a live, English speaking (American) person who is professional is always a plus. They are great!!!

They did not honor reward $100, I had balance 15k as the promotion deal required. In the end, they argued 99 cents in 15k wasn't my "deposit", it was interests, that doesn't count. So they refused to give the reward $100. Very deceptive business practice.

Discover-it Card. I would stay away from this credit card. Without notice, they decide to decrease the credit limit by over 50%. I've never had a late payment on the card and always paid way more than the minimum balance. My credit score is over 700. Customer Service is not very helpful. Stay away from this card. It's not worth the hassle.

I have several credit card accounts. Most of the credit card companies provide excellent customer service. If there is a problem, they make every effort to solve the issue. However, Discover Card customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. I wouldn't recommend Discover Card to anyone.

Never get a money market account here, stick with credit card. The only thing the market account does is pile up fees forever, even after you close it. So keep the confirmation and letters of closure because you may be notified years later of negative balances and you better hope the customer service left a note on their side. I closed my mm account last year and got an email this year saying I need to put money in account or it will be charged. The account balance became negative 50 and luckily the service rep said she saw I tried to close it so she closed it (I assume) so waiting for another letter.

Prior to considering doing business with Discover card, you should check with The consumer financial protection bureau. There have been numerous complaints regarding Discover card, and their practices. You will also need to check with the Better Business Bureau's in Delaware (where the corporate office is located), and Illinois with the business office is located. They have been many, many, complaints submitted at each location. Recently I purchased furniture from Value City Furniture. The sofa was returned to the store due to the high toxic levels in the polyurethane foam in the sofa. The store has picked up the sofa, and has Refunded the money to Discover card, but Discover card refuses to credit my account. So, I have no sofa, and Discover card is trying to cheat me out of $2000. Buyer beware.

I use my Discover Card to purchase about $1500.00 monthly. I pay it off monthly and never carry a balance. I used the card to pay for a hotel rental in Fort Myers Beach Florida February 2017. The hotel was booked through Expedia and the hotel/condo unit that I choose was based upon the unit having a washer and dryer and the good reviews that were listed for the Harbor House. Upon our arrival we were placed in a unit without a washer and dryer. The condo staff told us that there were none available and that Expedia had not told them that we wanted a washer/dryer. Expedia offered us a coupon to use in the future and I choose not to accept it because it had to be used within a year and it was not adequate in compensation.

I call Discover Credit Card Services and filed a claim. On the night before checking out of the Harbor House we went to bed early so that we could get a good night's rest before the long eighteen hour straight through drive back home. Shortly after going to sleep we were awakened by loud drunks that were staying in the unit next to us. They were yelling and had loud music playing. At 2:30 AM I telephone the front desk of the hotel and received a message that the desk closes at 10 PM and to call an outside number for complaints and someone would respond. No one answered the number and I left a voice message. A few minutes later my wife called the number and she talked to the on call man for the hotel and told him of the complaint. No one from the hotel show up and it was 3 AM now.

I then knocked on the door to the adjacent room and told the renter that they were keeping us awake. This did not produce any result and the loud yelling continued. We could not go back to sleep. I am age 65 and the eighteen hour drive without sleep was hell. I called my Discover Card and told them about the night from hell at the Harbor House. I wanted to file a claim against the Harbor House. The first claim was against Expedia. I was told by the Discover Card representative that I could not file a claim against the Harbor House because I had already made one. I told them that this was two separate claims against two separate companies for two different reasons. I talked to two different Discover employees and were told that they could not make another claim. I will be canceling my Discover Card and going back to Visa. Discover Card does not assist their cardholders.

I had no problems with Discover until recently. I had been with them for a little over 10 years until they closed my account today. After my divorce my ex let a car go in both of our names and I was advised that I needed to file Bankruptcy like he had. The lawyer explained that I needed to stop making all payments on my card, so my fault I did for 3 months. I then decided I didn't want to be like my ex and I started paying them again. I worked it out with the two other cards I had to pay an amount to get it back current and then pay it off with my taxes. All but Discover would. They told me that I could only do the lock or hold on the account and it was still look like it was open but reduce the interest to catch up. I did this and then about 4 months later paid it in full. I asked for it to be reinstated and they refused since my ex's car was showing delinquent.

I left it like that and have inquired many times as to why they couldn't remove the lock when my credit climbed back up. They stated to leave it open and as they would check they would release it. SO I did all this voluntarily based on the only option that they gave me so that I could repay what I had out. Then today I get an email that they closed my account. Based on my ex's car (since that is the only thing that I have with delinquent of late payments) from 3 years ago. They have kept it open for 3 years but NOW they close it?!? I will never again have a Discover card. My fiancé now just paid his off and closed it due to all this. Run... Discover is the only company that has done this to me and the only company that wouldn't work with me but was ok keeping it open until I paid it all off.

I made a purchase of a product part through a local vendor and used the Discover Card. Hours later I learned the vendor had charged me double against what I would have paid in several other places. The vendor refused to take the product back only hours after the purchase. The product was returned via U.S. Mail and acknowledgement of that receipt signed by the vendor. The sale was disputed by me but the Dispute department at Discovery ruled it a valid sale and would not refund the money (Over $380) in spite of the fact they advertised customer order and satisfaction protection up to $500. Although I was given a return guarantee claim number of **, nothing was ever heard from that again and they have since dropped that guarantee offer program.

In frustration, I sent in their cards and payment. They refunded the payment and issued new cards. However they still reported the disputed sale as a "no payment" to the credit reporting people and knocked our rating from a perfect 850 to below 725. When contacted, Discover still would not make any changes to their reporting, which lease the customer on the short end with no ability to change the damage. So, I'm again returning Discover's cards. I don't need their lack of support, as there are too many other card and credit companies who know who their customers are.

I really would not give them the one start rating, but zero was not an option. My dispute case number was **. I had been a customer for more than 50 years. In objection I paid the charge and returned their cards. I was told that they were refunding my payment "out of courtesy for my years as a customer". However, they still will not contact the credit bureau and advise them that it was a "disputed" claim that was eventually settled. They don't care that they have damaged my previously perfect 850 credit rating over their vendor's crooked practices and that they join the vendor in that way of doing business. Needless to say again, their credit cards are on the way back to them. I'm done!

Discover is always one of the first credit cards that students receive, due to what I can only imagine is an insatiable desire to screw students over as hard and fast as they can. I had no issues when I was paying my credit card ahead of time every month, and the one time that I had a bank payment bounce due to a stolen debit card, I was charged a fee that they refused to refund. This is all good and fine, until they put this bounce on my credit report as fraud. This ended up lowering my credit a good 60 points and on top of this they froze my account AFTER I correctly paid my Bill.

That is fine, I have spent many hours on the phone with companies before. However, they froze my account on a Friday, and the only department that could unfreeze it didn't open up until Monday. This bounced a few monthly payments of mine, further damaging my credit. I would recommend anyone that wants a discover account to instead throw 50 dollars a month in a barrel and burn it as that would be a better use of your money. Worst credit card company experience and I will never use Discover again. Discover 0/10.

Aggravation and frustration I would use to describe this loan process. This is not a solution-oriented company. Seems like a fast, efficient process at the beginning. Desktop appraisal was good and my banker said we should be good-to-go. I work in the mortgage industry, so what she was telling me sounded like we were confidently moving forward.

However, then everything started falling apart. I had to assist the banker in understanding my income to qualify properly. They have a "drive-by" appraisal done on the property. This came back at 230k... 20k under their desktop appraisal. The ironic thing is that the house was built in 2010 for $226k. So, this appraiser is telling me that the house hasn't appreciated in 7 years? The house across the street from us sold for 310k. The one thing that frustrates me more than anything is incompetence. That is what you can expect. I did get notified by email that the underwriter couldn't find a solution. But it takes reaching out to them to get any answers. They refuse to call and deal with things head on. Zero sense of urgency is what you can expect.

I have had a Discover for several months and I have used the card and paid it off several times. I had a 1600.00 credit limit on this card. I just paid off all my credit cards last month and I received an email from Discover saying they were lowering my credit line from 1600.00 to 500.00. So I called to see what the problem was and I was told that they had reviewed my credit and had to lower it. So I asked why that was because I had paid off all my credit cards and several other things since my husband had received a large settlement due to an accident. I told them that it didn't make sense because I have never been late on any payments or missed any payments.

I was told, "Well we will have to do a credit check (a hard Inquiry on the credit) to see what we can do for you." So my response was, "Well if you can't put my credit limit back the way it was just cancel the card because I am not taking another hit to my credit and if that's the way you treat your customers I don't want the card." So I canceled the card. For all you People out there looking to better your credit go with Capital One and stay away from Discover. Discover is the worst credit card ever!

Special ordered tires from Alan (BIG O tires, Carson). His guy installed them to the best of their ability but the tires were very rough riding, like square tires on the freeway. I had them checked out and found them out of round and poor balancing, one tire possibly bent rim but that was proven to be a bad tire shake. Yellow and red dots misaligned. Possibly defective. Ask Alan to check them out and fix or replace. He looked at them, said he would call Pirelli. Never heard back from him. I called again but he was mad because I contacted Big O Corp. and complained about his fake receipt, with no return policies and hand written invoice numbers. I waited 2 more weeks for him to do something with these tires but he did NOTHING.

So I went to AMERICA'S TIRE, they found there was obviously something wrong and I have the statements to prove it. I asked them to install 4 new tires and I returned the 4 others to Big O. Alan wouldn't sign for them so I took a couple pics and left them there, then filed a dispute with Discover. So now Discover denied the dispute because they need proof the tires were returned. I wasn't alone, I had a friend with me as a witness but Discover calls his letter and my pics hearsay. So now I'm out $900 ** dollars, Alan has the tires and is LYING to Discover that he never got them back... He says all I want is free tires, he's LYING I paid for 4 new tires and better service at AMERICA'S TIRE, Torrance.

Remember if it is not a original Big O "LETTERHEAD" receipt but a copy (dummy receipt) like mine, he is cheating his franchise owner, State of California Franchise Tax Board and the State of California Disposal Fees. You're paying it HE IS POCKETING IT. It is terrible Discover sides with the retailer, the lying rip off that he is because Discover makes more money from their merchants than us. Oh and I canceled their card.

Discover-it Card. Very bad card. Once you decide to pay off all of it or significantly reduce your balance, they decide to decrease the credit limit by 50% or more. They have decreased my credit by as much as $800 even though credit score and overall report have significantly improved since the initial account opening. I would never recommend this lender to anyone! Stay away from Discover! Customer Service is not very helpful, they cannot explain properly why the system chooses to decrease credit lines. They offer for you to speak to management, but at the same time, say that account manager cannot change anything. My credit line went down by a total of 50% within 10 months from account opening. No late payments ever, paid off the card completely twice.

I am writing this review with a lot of pain after going through the worst experience with Discover card. This is one of the stupid cards ever took in my life. Recently I made the payment of my bill on time and I was waiting for the same to reflect on the total credit line. Even after making the payment on time, they have not released the funds. I made payment on 23rd of January but they have not released the fund so far so that I can start using my credit card. I am new to the US and I want to build a credit history. Simply because of their technical issue, I am unable to use my stupid Discover credit card. PLEASE DO NOT GO FOR DISCOVER CARD. PLEASE GO FOR DCU OR ANY OTHER BANK.

Having had a Discover card since 1994, I kept getting application for the Discover It account. I applied and got a call about how much of my $16,100 credit limit I wanted allocated to the new card. I said a small amount believing that I had $15,000 on one card and $1,100 on the other. What does Discover do to reward me for my loyalty. (Never late/always paid on time). They close my original account. Removing my credit limit and tell me I can reapply for a credit line increase in 3 months. I'm furious -- how rude?? I've spent hours on the phone trying to get this resolved with all their "credit managers". This is a slap in the face.

My husband received a pre-selected application approval from Discover so I went ahead and read through the terms and fees and translated to my husband whom does not speak English but is a Resident. For some reason application did not go through specific needs more info, hr received the first call and asked to please be transferred to a Spanish speaking representative, was placed on hold then line cut off. Next day gets another call but this time the female representative spoke to him English once again and he repeats himself about someone speaking Spanish, she answers in Spanish and states in California the only language she can continue to process the application was in English. Never heard of such thing, my husband actually felt discriminated.

I am currently slightly over my credit limit by only 15 dollars, but for four straight months, I have been paying way more than the minimum monthly due, and it seems that the more I pay more than the monthly payment due, the higher the interest gets. It's like they never want my account to go back to normal account status. I thought that this credit card company was at least slightly better than the other credit companies, but NO WAY IN HELL!

The strange thing about this is that over a year ago I went online to start to fill out an online application with DISCOVER CARD, but I never did complete the application. I never gave them any personal information except for my name. About a month later I received a package from UPS, I opened it up, and inside it was a Welcome to Discover Card packet with a new Discover Card inside it. I had changed my mind and didn't want the credit card, but they sent it without my consent, but I ended up using it anyway. I put the blame on me for this one but why did they send it anyway?

I called Discover on January 16 and questioned the balance transfer procedure. The rep assured me that it would be quicker to let him do the transfer to BOA, rather than me depositing a check myself. I began calling Discover Jan 23, only to find out that they mailed the check, rather than do an electronic transfer. Upon calling BOA, I then discover that they also sent it to an incorrect address. BOA stayed on the phone with me and called Discover, waiting over an hour for some resolution. The BOA rep stated several times to Discover that the address was not theirs and they did not receive the check. She requested that they stop payment and electronically send the funds to them, only for the rep to continuously put us on hold and then coincidentally lost the connection.

I have literally spent hours on the phone with them, only to be told now that it could take up to 30 days for them to verify that the check has not been cashed. I was relying on the money for a business transaction on Feb 1 and now I am going to be penalized and am running the risk of the business transaction not going through because I am not prepared. I have dealt with many balance transfers with other banks and it has NEVER been this difficult. Discover has the worst customer service and they do absolutely nothing for their loyal customers. Shame on you Discover!

Discover charges me a late fee nearly every billing cycle, they are getting my payments before its due and not opening it until after the due date. They told me they can charge me a late fee if they don't open the payment till past the due date. According the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as long as they receive the payment by 5 pm of the due date they can't charge a late fee (This is known as "The card act"). Discover card has argued again and again that they have the right to open the payments whenever they want. I filed a complaint today with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau 1-855-411-2372. If you have had this problem, please call and give a complaint or use their website to file a complaint. The more that people complain the more likely the government will be to come down on Discover for this unethical and illegal activity.

BEWARE!!! Discover card will decrease your credit line without notice or for no good reason. I have never been late, and have even paid off account. They decreased my credit line from $5500.00 to $1300.00, they said because I don't have a home mortgage. They are penalizing me for paying off my home and not having a mortgage. This is a SCAM, they are purposely doing this to hurt my credit score and to give other lenders reason to give me a higher interest rate. BEWARE of Discover, they don't care about their customers.

BEWARE... Do not do business with Discover! As a loyal customer of 30 plus years and having never had a late or missed payment in my entire life they refused an Apr reduction. It seems their main purpose is to take advantage of their customers rather than reward loyalty! Do not fall into their trap! When I requested instructions to close my acct they sent an email saying they closed it immediately. I will never do business of any sort with Discover again but they should have sent the instructions as I requested rather than close the account because they didn't want to hear from me anymore! And for the record my credit score is "excellent"!!

I have had a Discover card for many years. We have been loyal customers, which I found out only works one way. I called the card company to see if they could give me a better interest rate than 24%. I was told no. 3/4 of my payment was being sucked up in interest. I decided to pay off my **it card and take my business elsewhere. I called the people at Discover and told them to close my account because I had paid the full settlement amount. 20 minutes later I'm still on the phone asking to have my account closed, but Mr ** came then exclaimed the voice on the other end, we can do this and that for you. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE close my account. They finally agreed. 2 weeks later I received my Discover card bill with 57.00 in interest charges for a account I asked them to close. This soap opera continues. Tune in next week.

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.
  • Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.
  • Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.
  • Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.
  • Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.
  • Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.
  • Best for Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Compare Credit Cards