Discover

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I foolishly signed up for a trial of a product Gain XT after reading an article in ESPN with them endorsing it through a sports writer. It was free but I had to provide a credit card to ship the product which I provided my Discover. The ad said 1 month trial and you don't need to cancel. I was billed 14 days later and monthly until July. Calling monthly to cancel and request a refund. I disputed the charges with Discover in June and the company did it again and billed my account in July. I did not send the bottle back in July to see what would happen. Discover sided with the company. This company is called Rippedx on the Discover transaction report.

When they got their legal department involved it was through a Limited Liability Company - Quell, LLC. When you call the company it is an obvious Indian call center directing you elsewhere transferring a few times and then they tell me to send product back. These are the companies Discover is protecting - it's pretty clear Discover probably cared more about the interest they will be making by making sure they re-posted the transactions back to the original dates to make certain they received the interest on 360$ my account is in. The one redeeming quality about it the Freeze button on the mobile app and it will stay that way until I transfer to another more consumer friendly card.

Only applied for this card due to the fact my child's daycare only takes Discover. I have an 839 Fico score with my house being paid in full. Applied online and received a call from Discover saying I was approved with a $7,000 credit limit and all they need is a copy of my Address and Social Security card which I had to e-mail (which first of all is scary over the web). I reluctantly sent the info over the web and then they sent me a letter saying I was not approved due to not able to verify app information.

Called them back to see if they got my SS and license and they said yes they got it and couldn't approve me after one of their reps already told me it was approved, This rep was also very snotty, THIS IS REALLY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES DISCOVER!! Warning to potential customers, the app process is a Pain I.T. A and dangerous to have to send critical information over the web, the Customer Service is lacking, and they have bad business practices by telling customers one thing and then go back on their word.

BEWARE! DISCOVER CARD DOES NOT PROTECT THE CLIENT/ CARD HOLDER - ON 11/23/16, I had a online buyer of a ring make a payment to my Discover card of $3400. I spoke with rep of Discover and was instructed not to give the ring until his payment cleared which would take 3 business days. Well after 5 business days I spoke with another rep and recorded the call. I asked him if payment had cleared and he informed yes it had 2 days ago. I then asked "is there any way in hell for this buyer to be able to take back this payment?" His Answer "NO MAM NOT AT ALL, The money is already in your Discover card account." I said, "then I can give him his item and be assured he cant take the money back???" He again Said "YES MAM. As a matter of fact you're over you're now PAID IN FULL and have extra money on card. Therefore would you like us to send you a check for that balance?" I said Sure.

He then put me through to another rep who verified that money was in account and took my bank account info to issue me refund check into bank since my Discover card was now paid in full with more money (approx $300). So I contact the buyer and he picks up the ring. 2 weeks later I'm on my Discover account and see that the next day 11/29, the buyer closed his bank account and was able to GET HIS MONEY BACK.

I called Discover, did investigation and they also verified that they also heard the recording on our conversation on the 28th and THEIR EMPLOYEE DID IN FACT assure me numerous times the buyer could not take the money back" but there was nothing they could do. As far I'm concerned DISCOVER card is responsible for their employee giving me that information. It's in my Discover notes today as I just confirmed. Need the BBB and Consumer Affairs to hold Discover card responsible for this loss and pay me the $3400 I lost because of them.

I've been trying to cancel my mom's Discover credit. My mom passed on 7/21/16. I've provided to Discover the death certificate, will and court order for estate. They won't cancel the card and want me to go through the process again. Don't they understand it's a difficult time when your parents pass away? My dad passed on 4/22/16 so it's been a tough time.

Discover keeps losing my payments. I sent them two checks and they seem to have lost both of them. They also keep charging me late fees. When I call them they say they give me the runaround and keep telling me different things. I am really frustrated with them and after I pay my next credit card bill I am done with them. I will never use that credit card again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

I noticed my bill wasn't going down even though all payments are on time. How could that be? Oh!!! My APR is at 27.99% after 15 YEARS!!! I called to find out what happened and what I can do (previously had no balance but after buying a home I have carried a small balance). First Travis tells me I had one late payment back in 2013!!! So then the "supervisor" Derek said that it is AGAINST POLICY TO CHANGE APR ON A CURRENT BALANCE! This is disgusting. So after 15 years of credit card use and PAID loans I will never ever ever ever use Discover again. Sayonara!

I just became a Card Holder with Discover this month. I set up my online account and found out they did not list a due date. I was concerned because it is extremely important to know the due date so you are not late on payment. Everyone should know that if you are late on Credit Card payment they have the legal right to penalize with excessive interest and fees. I called and spoke to Jill. She said the due date would be the 20th of each month. I said okay, then please email to confirm this and she said she could not do this.

Another thing I noticed is that the 5% cash back only applies to purchases with Amazon.com and Target. As you should know, Target was the first department store to push for transgender bathrooms and Amazon is owned by Jeff Bezos who also owns the Washington Post. Jeff Bezos hates our President and has been bad mouthing him ever since he won the Presidency. I do not recommend doing business with this company if you love our country and support our President.

I have had a Discover credit card for years. I had identity theft some years ago and Discover was all over it. I opened a Discover checking and savings several years ago and I feel very protected through them and they are very accommodating to my needs. Plus they give you a dime for every bill you pay through them. Anytime I have had to call customer service I get a person and I can understand what they say. Good business.

I filled out application for Discover card, I have a high credit score. Man named James said he would text me and for me to let him know if I got it- -I am legally deaf, no text, use e-mail. I told him he can't text me, his answer, "well we have to talk to you." I have other credit cards that I have never "talked" to anyone. Why is Discover so predigest? I told him I can only e-mail, that I have landline. So after "I must talk to you" I told them never mind. Other companies out there to do business with. Very predigest to deaf people. NOT worth the problems just because I can't hear, not right.

So Discover has been running commercials saying get your free credit score from them. Well I tried it out because I wanted to know what my FICO score was. Well they are correct it is free, however, they make you fill out a lot of personal information in order to get the score. Well they only do this because apparently it's their way of pre-qualifying you for a card. Since I did the free score I have been getting approval letter after approval letter stating I qualify for a Discover Card. Apparently they are hurting so bad they are tricking people into getting a free score. I will never get a card from them and I am sure they will never stop sending approval letters...

This is a warning for all Discover card holders. I was charged double for eleven transactions ranging from $9.72-$92.22 for a total of $376.17. The eleven disputed transactions went off my statement and I was given a temporary credit. The original charges remained. They had several boxes to choose from on the online dispute form none of which applied to my situation and none of them being other. So I chose the first box that I believe said did not receive goods or services. Which in a way was true as I didn't receive double the goods or services. I only received them once and was charged twice. In the additional comment box I stated that this was a duplicated charge and I had made one charge but not two. Discover then starts adding the charges back on if the vendor doesn't give the money back.

Discover basically has a win win going for them. You pay double and if you figure it out and call them on it they go to the vendor and get it back, while I still have the original charge on my account, and if the vendor doesn't give the money back they double charge you again. Discover has very deceptive business practices. I have attached two statements that show the charges duplicated. The vendors need to know they are being taken advantage of too. Maybe if a few of the vendors knew what Discover was doing they would be put out of business.

I've had this card for 30 years and have used it for travel, shopping, gas and a lot of other purchases over the years. Recently, I bought furniture that when unpacked, was damaged and of poor quality. The retailer stated I had only 24 hours to return it and it was past this time. I put the almost $500 in dispute. It took Discover more than 4 months of back and forth, charge added back in, deleted in my favor then ultimately back on. Requests for documentation were handled inaccurately, even after multiple requests. After 4 months there is no chance that the retailer will take this item back so I will pay for it. However, I will be closing this account due to the absolutely poor customer service and lack of responsiveness on Discover's part.

I was sent a letter that I did not claim a charge off from an account from Discover from 2007. After my husband passed away in 2007, I notified them. They did not contact me again until 2013. In 2017, I received a notice from the IRS that I owed on my taxes for 2015 because of a charge off for a Discover account. I was asked by Discover to submit 3 signatures and a copy of my driver’s license since I was disputing the account. I received a letter and they say that they have no written records and only have computer records. I am having to pay the IRS due to them not having records. They say they sent the 1099C and that it was returned to them. I cannot do anything and will be pulling from my pension due to their poor practices.

Something happened today that I feel needs to be aired out there to give everyone some insight into how low some businesses will stoop to get our attention, and our money...and hopefully will prevent someone else from being tricked. My mother passed away about a year ago or so. She and her family are from Illinois. My bday was this past Friday. This evening, in my mailbox, was a beautiful blue envelope with what appeared to be a bday card inside. Both my address and the return address were handwritten...and the return address was from Illinois. There was absolutely nothing on the outside of this envelope to indicate that it was a marketing piece. So, naturally...I had a big moment. I thought… OMG. My mom must have given this card to her people to send to me for my bday before she passed. No way to express how touched I was. Made me really tear up.

I opened the envelope. Inside was, for all the world, looked like a bday card (it was a Hallmark card). It was every bit as beautiful as you could want. I opened the card...and out fell 3 small index cards. Each one explaining how lucky I am to be considered for a new Discover credit card...and the card terms...and so on. It wasnt from my mother at all. It really broke my heart. So, if you get a handwritten addressed, beautiful blue envelope with a card inside...it’s probably not a personal card from your family. How cruel was that??? Discover company told me "It was an honest mistake". Hmmm. Not in a million years would I ever use this company...nor would I EVER recommend them to even my worst enemy.

If you carry a purchase balance and a balance transfer balance the minimum payment goes towards the balance transfers first not your current charges so you are charged interest on your purchases. To make it even worst if you have more than one balance transfer and they have different interest rates your payments go towards the highest rate not the transfer expiring first. They offer you a longer term at a higher rate but then you end up paying off the longer term first causing you to pay interest on the short term balance. They never provide you on your statement what you need to pay to avoid interest charges. All my other credit card companies don't operate like this.

I received a check from Discover which was returned to my bank in the amount of 7500, which has cost me extra fees in overdraft charges. This awful business and I will not recommend them to anyone for service.

I've never had a Discover card in my life but about 8 months ago Discover said that I owe them $2,000 that someone transferred money from Discover to my Wells Fargo account. Not only was it not me but this WF account has been closed for two months. But I still had to pay for it. So I paid it. And now a few days ago Discover tells me that I owe them $3,000 for the same reason that someone transferred money from Discover to my Wells Fargo account that has been closed for almost a year now. How could Discover allow the same thing to happen twice? I think they made it happen twice!

Please reconsider and do your research if you're considering a Discover Credit Card. Horrible service!!! They "compromised" my card 3 times (resulting in a new card each time and two I never received even though they cancelled the first card). Looked at my account and saw 3 cards plus received a mailer for another different type of Discover card. All appeared active and I was given the option to 'freeze' any of the cards. Promised a new card in 1-2 days - 3rd I called and they told me it was never sent out so I have to wait another 2-3 days to get the replacement! Forget it. I have AmEx and will start using that card for everything...

I was paying Discover card and all the sudden something came up and I had to stop paying them. Of course it went into default. I called them and asked if I could get a little time to find a loan to pay off the $900.00 I still owed them the said no. That they had already sent it to a collection agency. Well I received a letter from the collection agency. I promptly sent them a letter stating they are no longer need, and I will only deal with the original lender. Then all of the sudden I find out that they are suing me in county court for $900.00 that they say I owe them. Discover SUCKS and please tell everyone NOT TO USE THEM!!!

I wish I had put more effort into seeing this before wasting my time with these people. I was denied a secured credit card because of something that was 7 years old. This company promotes rebuilding credit, but all they do is make it worse. The guy on the phone had no clue what he was saying, but he did say he was sorry an awful lot. I could say that he seemed confused as to why I was denied, but to protect his useless job, he could not tell me that. When I asked for someone to look at this with a human factor, he said they can't. The computer is the final say. I left a crappy secured credit card for this, but what a mistake! Do NOT try Discover!!! They are not worth your points or time. Wells Fargo sounds good now! Oh, and they won't help other than telling you "Too Bad, Sorry"!

I applied for a school. Called a while back I decided to go in the Discovery score card that I established to see what my FICO scores on now since I lowered the balance on all my accounts. I tried to log in with no success 3 times. Finally I was thinking okay I have maybe the wrong password. It does happen because my email is the same and of course this window comes up indicating to put in certain information which I did just to recover my password. No such luck. I did it 5 times so I feel you really can't trust Discovery Card too. They are not honest about the credit score. I think they do this for their own purpose to see which customers they can grab for their credit cards. So what good is the credit score when you can't get in it. I tried everything. I give up.

The approved credit line was not the actual credit line I was permitted to use and there are no late or missed payments. This credit card is the worst and customer service representatives are rude. A block was placed on my cash advances after I took out less than half the permitted amount. I called to verify non fraudulent activity to no avail. The block was replaced for no reason at all. Why give out a credit card and not permit the user to use it? Can't use credit card or cash advances although no late payments. Company states it is a new account. Well so what? Why approve the amount then take it back? Get a Bank of America credit card which is much better and has better customer service.

We have had the basic Discover Card for almost 30 years. We never had a late payment except last month. The bill was due on Memorial Day and payment was mailed 10 days before. It was not posted until the day after, May 30. Their commercials say that there is forgiveness for one late payment even though the delay was likely caused by the post office. They slapped a $25 late fee on the account and raised the APR to double what it was before this. Our credit rating is over 800 and the payment arrived the next business day (or was posted then). When I called to complain they said I could either accept the terms or pay off the balance in full and cancel the card. There is no loyalty with this company and their commercials about one late payment (in 30 years in our case) is totally false. We have yet to decide what to do, but the APR is much too high to continue when our Visa card is half of this new rate.

Discover has my transactions available to see and download daily. I've had two cases of fraudulent activity and both times I've received a text from Discover with an easy "yes I made this purchase" and "no this wasn't me" response options and then been able to contact a representative within seconds. Discover not only gives me rewards (even at 1%), but it also makes me feel much less vulnerable and much more supported.

This is by far the worst credit card I've ever obtained. When I applied for the secured card, the "fine print" said if you made a year of on-time payments, you will have your deposit refunded. I made more than a year of on-time payments and called to find out why my $2,000 was not refunded. All they could tell me is a "system" determines if and when my money will be refunded and there was NO ONE at Discover who could give me an explanation about why my deposit was still being held.

I have never missed a payment with them or been late on a payment and was further told that "the system" takes other things into account, like how I handle my other accounts. I have not been late on any of them either. I will NEVER obtain a secured credit card again, and frankly, I don't need one because I can now obtain unsecured credit cards on my own. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT SELECT DISCOVER TO OBTAIN A SECURED CREDIT CARD. If you do, do not put more than, maybe, $500 in the account.

Discover Bank will not honor the promotion for new online saving account saying that either this promotion was valid only for existing credit card customer or they will say that you applied by mail and this was only online promotion or they will say your account was opened after promotion deadline. They will give you one or other excuse not to honor the promotion even if you fulfilled the criteria. Worst bank ever I have dealt with.

Have always had good experiences with Discover and always pay my bill "on time" so when I called in to use my rewards they got ADDED as a charge instead of credited. Called in and they were taken off so now my original rewards are in La La Land and I am told they cannot update again until the end of the month... Maybe the 23, and may not see it until the 25th. I keep getting the runaround so in other words my original rewards are just GONE.

New with Discover and what HELL this is for a company!!! How do they even function? Their fine print says that they "use" contractors and "agencies" to do their "business". Hmmm what business? Discover (undercover) also says you can make cash payments on your account at Sears Stores... oh yeah? Well go and find one! Many of this Chintzy company are local owners and "haven't processed a cash payment in 2 years"! That's a quote! Call any store and ask for "credit" just to get to a person re; your account. Guess where that send you? The PHILIPPINES!

This is the MOST disorganized company with the most untrained people you will ever find anywhere. I am part of the largest demographic sector in our 320,000,000 citizen population. They call us BOOMERS... we know what we are doing and we were all educated regarding what the right way is... hello? By the looks of things in the Discover Card Complaint records... (517++) in 2017 alone... we have the POWER and the education to boot this "undercover" out fit to you nowhere. Hey "Trumpster", who's the new Sheriff in the Banking Sector? It's time, by the looks of it that ALL of us here need to file (together) to have ALL this ABUSIVE treatment looked at and "dealt" with as was done before with the good ole Discover folks, eh? I'm not taking a HIT from these idiots and neither should you! Discover Card is OFF TRACK.

On May 23, 2017 I called Discover card to make a payment on my credit card account. The young lady verify my information then attempted to apply my payment. After she was done she call me someone else name. I told her that's not my name and she said oh she was sorry she had put up someone else's account instead my banking information on their account. She did not make a note on my account that she had made a mistake and put my information on someone else's account. I didn't find out until the next day when Discover try to take now nine thousand dollars out of my account versus the 4500 that I wanted to pay on my account. I call Discover to tell them what had happened because I only saw the $4500 on my account not the nine thousand that they were taken from my bank account.

The person at Discover told me to call my bank and have them stop the payment. I told them to find out who was the person that had my banking info on their account, please delete it from that person's account and call me to confirm that my info was has been delete. I have called Discover five times in reference to this. I just received a phone call today June 6 to tell me that they found out who that person was that has my account information on their account but they cannot delete it off our account. I just received a phone call today June 6 for Discover to tell me that they found out who that person was that has my account information on their account but they cannot delete it off. The person that works for Discover card told me to close my bank account with my bank and start a new account. Discover card made the mistake and because they made the mistake they cannot take my account information off that other person's account.

I am a full-time college student, and got this card believing it would fit well with my Chase Freedom Unlimited, Capital One and Barclay cards. I checked into a Springhill Suites By Marriott on May 29th. The room was a disaster, to the point the General Manager comped us for that night's stay. We checked out the morning of May 30th, was given paperwork with everything zeroed out. When I checked in, I accidentally used my DISCOVER CARD instead of my Chase Visa. Huge huge mistake. The $40 incidental hold put on by Marriott on check in was released at check out. DISCOVER intentionally left the "HOLDS" on the card, refusing to release that $40 hold. DISCOVER blamed Marriott, but my Father knows the CEO of Marriott and Marriott Headquarters confirmed there was "NO HOLD" on my account.

DISCOVER employees are bottom feeding liars. Each one tells another lie. It has been 9 days and not only did DISCOVER not take the merchant holds off, they quietly removed it from "pending transactions" so I would think they released it. The available credit and current balance was the giveaway. My Dad owns hundreds of businesses across America, and because of their unethical business practices, lack of morals by lying and scheming, Discover will lose all of those accounts on July 1, 2017. Here is my suggestion, DROP DISCOVER completely and use a bank that has truth to it. CHASE, CITIBANK, BARCLAY and CAPITAL ONE just to name a few. If you have college kids, and they have DISCOVER CARDS cancel them, and get them a "real card".

DISCOVER is so bad, Lil Caesar's Pizza would not even take them. Many merchants are abandoning ship and refusing to accept DISCOVER. Like SEARS, DISCOVER is a dying bank. They prey on people like hungry wolves. I hate DISCOVER for their dishonesty and lack of any professional ethics. I felt good to hear my Dad give the order to immediately stop all employees from using their DISCOVER CARDS and that his companies will cancel all DISCOVER ACCOUNTS on July 1. But if you don't want to get lied to, taken advantage of, get rid of ANYTHING that bears the name DISCOVER in your purse or wallet. I have warned anybody reading this, if you keep DISCOVER, you have only yourself to blame when they scam you!

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.
  • Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.
  • Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.
  • Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.
  • Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.
  • Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.
  • Best for Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Compare Credit Cards