Discover
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Discover

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 11, 2017

600 Discover Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I opened a Discover Card to take advantage of their lengthy interest free time period on balance transfers from another credit card and in fact I have had no interest charged on that balance transfer amount. I have also been using the card for regular charges at stores, restaurants, GAs etc and have paid those charges IN FULL each month. However interest has been charged on those amounts even though payment was made in full by the due date. When I called to inquire about this I was told that if you have a open balance on a cash balance transfer you lose the interest free period on regular charges. In other words you will be charged interest on regular charges FROM THE DATE THE CHARGE WAS MADE even if the regular charges were paid in full by the due date. Be very careful when deciding whether to open a Discover Card. It is not as consumer friendly as they would have you believe.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My account was closed "inability to pay" when my balance was Discover owing me 180.00. My rewards removed. After hours and transfers they admitted that they received email that I was dead. After another hour on the phone I received a message that a credit report was causing a problem. The death department told I would have to be transferred to another... I said close my account, send my refund and then all of a sudden my rewards disappeared. They were in cahoots with Equifax and did not care about their millions of customers because losing one did not matter.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I have to tell you that I am insulted by this. I have paid my bill without fail, since opening this account. Two years ago: YOUR machine reader debited my account incorrectly... that was FINALLY resolved, and my 'late charges' 'forgiven'. Three months ago, your COMPUTER PROGRAM stopped sending me invoices... for some random, stupid reason (...address unverified... WTHeck???). And, now, you send me an email with the verbiage: "This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained may be used for that purpose." REALLY????

I will have you know that I will not be using this credit card EVER AGAIN, I will pay off my balance and be done with you. You DO NOT have great customer service... even though your representatives are great, you rely too heavily on your faulty computer programs, and proceed as if the 'computer is always right', rather than, 'the customer is always right'.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

These guys will decrease your credit line with no notification whatever no matter your payment history or balance. I called and FINALLY got someone on the line I could halfway understand and she informed me it was because I had too many inquiries on my credit report. Sorry. Nothing we can do. I am going to pay the balance on this card and use it once a month for a Dr Pepper and a bag of chips. That's it. Oh and I am going to insist on a paper statement. Dropping the electronic billing as of today.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I am currently unemployed and have fallen behind on my payments. I reached out to Discover, via their live chat service, in order to arrange a payment plan. At first the representative, Raquel, told me that nothing could be done and that payment was due when it was due. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She says that she is an "account manager." So she refused to let me speak to her supervisor. Then she says I might qualify for a payment program. She asks a lot of redundant questions, I say yes to everything, she confirms my bank account number and social security number. I'm good to go. Then I receive an email saying that if I don't make a payment I'll be sent to collections. There's no mention of the payment plan. I wasted my time setting up. Do not waste your time with this company. They are incompetent and have no sympathy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

Been a good customer for 2 years. Never missed a payment, mostly paid 2 times a month and always more than basic amount, then I took cash out, used it for a trip, paid it back in 1 week as well as 1500 in payments, then I try to use card. It gets declined. I call to find out why and they penalized me for the cash advance and lowered my credit limit without notifying me. Luckily I was not on vacation at the time otherwise I could have been in trouble. I called and talked to 3 people and none would help me. Stay away from these people. They are terrible.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I asked to pay the card off in full. Customer Service gives me an amount and I pay under 1000$ to close account. 10$ charge shows up. Each person I speak to has a different source for this charge. I pay it. The following month I get a bill...10$ charge again. I now have a late pay on my credit report. I call them again. Can you please help me clean this up. My credit was perfect before I got this stupid card and used it for 'one month' and attempted to pay the bill in full!!! No one mentioned any charges pending or interest fees or anything else. Ironically, Discover owes me 30$ in rewards! Their credit department says... "sorry, we can't tell the credit bureau anything other than, you were late paying this charge." I love how hard these companies work to get your business and how easily they're willing to let those same customers go. I have 4 other cards and I have NO issues and they work with me whenever I have a problem.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

The advertisement mailed to me stated to consolidate your bills at a low 2.9 APR which wasn't true. Discover has me locked in at 10.99 APR. I called to see if they would decrease my APR and they said "NO" even though they are getting their payment directly from my bank every month. Consumers Beware! Don't trust Discover in giving you a low interest APR. It's all false advertisement.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

My Dad passed owing this company $800. He had paid $7,200 off. The account got passed on to the estate collections agency. I received a call 2 weeks ago, a call last week, a call this week, a Creditor's Claim letter and a letter saying that they would give me a "hardship reduction" if I pay by the end of October. The woman who has been calling demanded payment. She said they'd give me a short amount of time to pay them $405. Then the offer would expire. I explained to her that there is very little money. I need it to pay for the administration of the trust. The only other asset is the house. I'm living in it. SO, what do they expect? That I sell the house right out from under myself just to pay them? I do not appreciate being hammered on by someone else's bill collector or threatened either. MOST OF THE OTHER COMPANIES are writing the debt off. Cut throat Discover.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Purchased a new TV, approved for 6500. Through company finance promotion. Rest was charged to Discover Card. One week later vendor decreased price $1000. I requested price match. It was approved. Television vendor canceled original sales order. They created a new sales order for $5995. I requested Discover Card to be credited with original charge. Company agreed to refund amount to Discover Card. This never occurred. Filed chargeback with Discover. I provided both sales invoice as proof. Discover sided with merchant. Discover Card canceled by me.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I took $10000 loan from Discover card at the fixed interest rate of 9.9%. First and second month interest amount was $82 and $66. But third and fourth month interest goes up to $95 and $107. I am making payment on time and interest rate is 9.9%. Fixed interest amount suppose to be lower down every month but dumb people does not want listen anything. NEVER TAKE ANY LOAN IN FUTURE.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

A card was opened in my name without my permission. $5000+ worth charged up in one month. Fraud dept was empathetic at first. They confirmed the fraud but are holding me liable for the amount anyway. Then to top that off I received a nasty default letter a week later. I couldn't even talk with an acct manager because the acct was closed for the fraud investigation. So first I'm being held liable for something I didn't do and second I'm getting nasty default letters on an acct that couldn't even be accessed during the investigation.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Discover Card is honestly the worst credit card and customer service I have ever experienced. I had been a member at Discover for over 10 years. During that time, I had never made a late payment, always paid off my balance in full and maintain an excellent credit score. On 8/31/17, my card was shut off. I received a letter in the mail two days later that Discover had "closed" my account. When I called to inquire as to why (several times), I was told that Discover "could not tell me why" and to "write a letter to Discover's headquarters." This is 2017. There was no reason why my account should have been shut off, and Discover couldn't/wouldn't even tell me why. On top of that, I had over $50.00 in cash back that was apparently, automatically revoked.

I called Discover FIVE times to inquire why I would not receive this cash back, and each time, received a different answer. The first time, they applied the credit --and then Discover charged it back. The second time, they told me it would show up in a few days -- it never did. The third time, that I would receive a check. This never happened. The way that I was treated -- after being a valued member for 10 years, was pitiful. To cancel my account without warning or reason and revoke the rewards I earned, is unacceptable. I will never again do business with Discover, and will actively discourage anyone I know to do the same.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I foolishly signed up for a trial of a product Gain XT after reading an article in ESPN with them endorsing it through a sports writer. It was free but I had to provide a credit card to ship the product which I provided my Discover. The ad said 1 month trial and you don't need to cancel. I was billed 14 days later and monthly until July. Calling monthly to cancel and request a refund. I disputed the charges with Discover in June and the company did it again and billed my account in July. I did not send the bottle back in July to see what would happen. Discover sided with the company. This company is called Rippedx on the Discover transaction report.

When they got their legal department involved it was through a Limited Liability Company - Quell, LLC. When you call the company it is an obvious Indian call center directing you elsewhere transferring a few times and then they tell me to send product back. These are the companies Discover is protecting - it's pretty clear Discover probably cared more about the interest they will be making by making sure they re-posted the transactions back to the original dates to make certain they received the interest on 360$ my account is in. The one redeeming quality about it the Freeze button on the mobile app and it will stay that way until I transfer to another more consumer friendly card.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Only applied for this card due to the fact my child's daycare only takes Discover. I have an 839 Fico score with my house being paid in full. Applied online and received a call from Discover saying I was approved with a $7,000 credit limit and all they need is a copy of my Address and Social Security card which I had to e-mail (which first of all is scary over the web). I reluctantly sent the info over the web and then they sent me a letter saying I was not approved due to not able to verify app information.

Called them back to see if they got my SS and license and they said yes they got it and couldn't approve me after one of their reps already told me it was approved, This rep was also very snotty, THIS IS REALLY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES DISCOVER!! Warning to potential customers, the app process is a Pain I.T. A and dangerous to have to send critical information over the web, the Customer Service is lacking, and they have bad business practices by telling customers one thing and then go back on their word.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

BEWARE! DISCOVER CARD DOES NOT PROTECT THE CLIENT/ CARD HOLDER - ON 11/23/16, I had a online buyer of a ring make a payment to my Discover card of $3400. I spoke with rep of Discover and was instructed not to give the ring until his payment cleared which would take 3 business days. Well after 5 business days I spoke with another rep and recorded the call. I asked him if payment had cleared and he informed yes it had 2 days ago. I then asked "is there any way in hell for this buyer to be able to take back this payment?" His Answer "NO MAM NOT AT ALL, The money is already in your Discover card account." I said, "then I can give him his item and be assured he cant take the money back???" He again Said "YES MAM. As a matter of fact you're over you're now PAID IN FULL and have extra money on card. Therefore would you like us to send you a check for that balance?" I said Sure.

He then put me through to another rep who verified that money was in account and took my bank account info to issue me refund check into bank since my Discover card was now paid in full with more money (approx $300). So I contact the buyer and he picks up the ring. 2 weeks later I'm on my Discover account and see that the next day 11/29, the buyer closed his bank account and was able to GET HIS MONEY BACK.

I called Discover, did investigation and they also verified that they also heard the recording on our conversation on the 28th and THEIR EMPLOYEE DID IN FACT assure me numerous times the buyer could not take the money back" but there was nothing they could do. As far I'm concerned DISCOVER card is responsible for their employee giving me that information. It's in my Discover notes today as I just confirmed. Need the BBB and Consumer Affairs to hold Discover card responsible for this loss and pay me the $3400 I lost because of them.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I've been trying to cancel my mom's Discover credit. My mom passed on 7/21/16. I've provided to Discover the death certificate, will and court order for estate. They won't cancel the card and want me to go through the process again. Don't they understand it's a difficult time when your parents pass away? My dad passed on 4/22/16 so it's been a tough time.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Discover keeps losing my payments. I sent them two checks and they seem to have lost both of them. They also keep charging me late fees. When I call them they say they give me the runaround and keep telling me different things. I am really frustrated with them and after I pay my next credit card bill I am done with them. I will never use that credit card again.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I noticed my bill wasn't going down even though all payments are on time. How could that be? Oh!!! My APR is at 27.99% after 15 YEARS!!! I called to find out what happened and what I can do (previously had no balance but after buying a home I have carried a small balance). First Travis tells me I had one late payment back in 2013!!! So then the "supervisor" Derek said that it is AGAINST POLICY TO CHANGE APR ON A CURRENT BALANCE! This is disgusting. So after 15 years of credit card use and PAID loans I will never ever ever ever use Discover again. Sayonara!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I just became a Card Holder with Discover this month. I set up my online account and found out they did not list a due date. I was concerned because it is extremely important to know the due date so you are not late on payment. Everyone should know that if you are late on Credit Card payment they have the legal right to penalize with excessive interest and fees. I called and spoke to Jill. She said the due date would be the 20th of each month. I said okay, then please email to confirm this and she said she could not do this.

Another thing I noticed is that the 5% cash back only applies to purchases with Amazon.com and Target. As you should know, Target was the first department store to push for transgender bathrooms and Amazon is owned by Jeff Bezos who also owns the Washington Post. Jeff Bezos hates our President and has been bad mouthing him ever since he won the Presidency. I do not recommend doing business with this company if you love our country and support our President.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I have had a Discover credit card for years. I had identity theft some years ago and Discover was all over it. I opened a Discover checking and savings several years ago and I feel very protected through them and they are very accommodating to my needs. Plus they give you a dime for every bill you pay through them. Anytime I have had to call customer service I get a person and I can understand what they say. Good business.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I filled out application for Discover card, I have a high credit score. Man named James said he would text me and for me to let him know if I got it- -I am legally deaf, no text, use e-mail. I told him he can't text me, his answer, "well we have to talk to you." I have other credit cards that I have never "talked" to anyone. Why is Discover so predigest? I told him I can only e-mail, that I have landline. So after "I must talk to you" I told them never mind. Other companies out there to do business with. Very predigest to deaf people. NOT worth the problems just because I can't hear, not right.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

So Discover has been running commercials saying get your free credit score from them. Well I tried it out because I wanted to know what my FICO score was. Well they are correct it is free, however, they make you fill out a lot of personal information in order to get the score. Well they only do this because apparently it's their way of pre-qualifying you for a card. Since I did the free score I have been getting approval letter after approval letter stating I qualify for a Discover Card. Apparently they are hurting so bad they are tricking people into getting a free score. I will never get a card from them and I am sure they will never stop sending approval letters...

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

This is a warning for all Discover card holders. I was charged double for eleven transactions ranging from $9.72-$92.22 for a total of $376.17. The eleven disputed transactions went off my statement and I was given a temporary credit. The original charges remained. They had several boxes to choose from on the online dispute form none of which applied to my situation and none of them being other. So I chose the first box that I believe said did not receive goods or services. Which in a way was true as I didn't receive double the goods or services. I only received them once and was charged twice. In the additional comment box I stated that this was a duplicated charge and I had made one charge but not two. Discover then starts adding the charges back on if the vendor doesn't give the money back.

Discover basically has a win win going for them. You pay double and if you figure it out and call them on it they go to the vendor and get it back, while I still have the original charge on my account, and if the vendor doesn't give the money back they double charge you again. Discover has very deceptive business practices. I have attached two statements that show the charges duplicated. The vendors need to know they are being taken advantage of too. Maybe if a few of the vendors knew what Discover was doing they would be put out of business.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I've had this card for 30 years and have used it for travel, shopping, gas and a lot of other purchases over the years. Recently, I bought furniture that when unpacked, was damaged and of poor quality. The retailer stated I had only 24 hours to return it and it was past this time. I put the almost $500 in dispute. It took Discover more than 4 months of back and forth, charge added back in, deleted in my favor then ultimately back on. Requests for documentation were handled inaccurately, even after multiple requests. After 4 months there is no chance that the retailer will take this item back so I will pay for it. However, I will be closing this account due to the absolutely poor customer service and lack of responsiveness on Discover's part.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I was sent a letter that I did not claim a charge off from an account from Discover from 2007. After my husband passed away in 2007, I notified them. They did not contact me again until 2013. In 2017, I received a notice from the IRS that I owed on my taxes for 2015 because of a charge off for a Discover account. I was asked by Discover to submit 3 signatures and a copy of my driver’s license since I was disputing the account. I received a letter and they say that they have no written records and only have computer records. I am having to pay the IRS due to them not having records. They say they sent the 1099C and that it was returned to them. I cannot do anything and will be pulling from my pension due to their poor practices.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Something happened today that I feel needs to be aired out there to give everyone some insight into how low some businesses will stoop to get our attention, and our money...and hopefully will prevent someone else from being tricked. My mother passed away about a year ago or so. She and her family are from Illinois. My bday was this past Friday. This evening, in my mailbox, was a beautiful blue envelope with what appeared to be a bday card inside. Both my address and the return address were handwritten...and the return address was from Illinois. There was absolutely nothing on the outside of this envelope to indicate that it was a marketing piece. So, naturally...I had a big moment. I thought… OMG. My mom must have given this card to her people to send to me for my bday before she passed. No way to express how touched I was. Made me really tear up.

I opened the envelope. Inside was, for all the world, looked like a bday card (it was a Hallmark card). It was every bit as beautiful as you could want. I opened the card...and out fell 3 small index cards. Each one explaining how lucky I am to be considered for a new Discover credit card...and the card terms...and so on. It wasnt from my mother at all. It really broke my heart. So, if you get a handwritten addressed, beautiful blue envelope with a card inside...it’s probably not a personal card from your family. How cruel was that??? Discover company told me "It was an honest mistake". Hmmm. Not in a million years would I ever use this company...nor would I EVER recommend them to even my worst enemy.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

If you carry a purchase balance and a balance transfer balance the minimum payment goes towards the balance transfers first not your current charges so you are charged interest on your purchases. To make it even worst if you have more than one balance transfer and they have different interest rates your payments go towards the highest rate not the transfer expiring first. They offer you a longer term at a higher rate but then you end up paying off the longer term first causing you to pay interest on the short term balance. They never provide you on your statement what you need to pay to avoid interest charges. All my other credit card companies don't operate like this.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I received a check from Discover which was returned to my bank in the amount of 7500, which has cost me extra fees in overdraft charges. This awful business and I will not recommend them to anyone for service.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I've never had a Discover card in my life but about 8 months ago Discover said that I owe them $2,000 that someone transferred money from Discover to my Wells Fargo account. Not only was it not me but this WF account has been closed for two months. But I still had to pay for it. So I paid it. And now a few days ago Discover tells me that I owe them $3,000 for the same reason that someone transferred money from Discover to my Wells Fargo account that has been closed for almost a year now. How could Discover allow the same thing to happen twice? I think they made it happen twice!

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information