2. Finance

Discover

Discover
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

This is an excellent credit card for their cash back rewards on quarterly categories. The categories change every three months and are not always in areas we use a lot. But when they are, they are worth a whopping 5% back on categories such as gas stations, restaurants, wholesale clubs (Costco, Sam's, etc.), Walmart, E-Bay, or even any online merchant. Past problems of acceptance at some merchants have been resolved: the Discover card is accepted almost everywhere now.

The card is FREE (no annual fee), billing is accurate, and their attention to online and PoP purchases is exemplary. While Discover's interest rates are on the high side, this is no issue for people who pay their balances every month. The cash back rewards are also very easy to use. They can come as balance credits or be applied to PayPal or Amazon purchases... or even as checks if desired. There are also no restrictions on types of purchases they can be applied toward. One caveat: except for the wonderful 5% categories, the cash back reward is comparatively very low on all other purchases, so I only recommend using this card for those quarterly categories.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I've had Discover Card since 1980 and use it all the time. The Cash Back Bonuses build up and I can use them when I want to. I had a problem where someone attempted to use my card number in another state since the charge amount was more than the amount I set up in my qualifiers. I was notified by Discover of the pending charge for approval. I immediately looked at my account and found 6 other charges also just under the amount I had selected. I called Discover at 10:00 pm on a Sunday and explained what happened, within 15 minutes the pending charge was stopped/frozen reported as fraudulent as well as the other 6 charges on my account. My card was closed and I was issued a new one which I received Tuesday. That's what I call service! I've been very pleased with Discover Card over the years and would not be without it!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 26, 2020

I have had numerous credit cards by far Discover is my favorite one. Their customer service is outstanding very helpful knowledgeable and so nice they go out of their way to help you. I like them so much I added a new card a few months ago. They also pickup on scams when your purchasing something get instant text if you still want to purchase you text back yes. I also love pulling up my accounts online very understandable. One of my cards which isn’t Discover made online account. It was impossible. Come to find out wasn’t just me. They got the kinks out but very rare using that card so didn’t bother to try new site out.

The rewards are great. Every 3 months they change businesses to get cash back and the stores October to December are the stores I always shop at them. It’s Christmas time so your rewards add up quick. I had always heard Discover was great plus my sister loves her locked in interest rate. Discover for me is my favorite and you can always talk to a human 24 hrs even with the virus no one has that surprised me. Five stars. Best charge card by far.

Original review: April 4, 2020

I honestly cannot stress enough how wonderful Discover is. I am a Discover It credit card holder & have been so impressed with them. Years ago when I first applied I was young, had very little if any credit history. Discover was willing to give me a shot where most others wouldn't. So our relationship began, I believe I had a $2000 credit limit which at the time seemed like a lot. Fast forward to a few years later, I moved to another state with my kids & husband & our moving expenses were more than we realized they would be. I called Discover & asked for more credit, explained the situation & even though it was months before I could officially request a credit increase they again took a chance, made an exception & helped me. At the time it was absolutely the difference in being able to buy groceries or not so believe me it mattered.

Fast forward several years later to today. Covid19 is upon us & my family has lost all of our income (temporarily). Once again I called Discover to see about a payment arrangement & within minutes a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I also want to make it clear I have an account with another MAJOR credit card company & they could have cared less what we were going through. It's like night & day dealing with Discover vs my other credit card company. Discover has been there for me to help with every major crisis my family has had money wise. If you pay your bill on time & make an effort they will go to great lengths to help you & they do it in a responsible manner, they don't just give you a huge credit line then throw you to the wolves when you go through hard times. Discover is in my opinion the best credit card company out there. I've been with them for many years & I plan to stay with them.

Original review: April 3, 2020

I find myself often getting riled up when I run across a terrible company, but rarely share the same exuberance when I find a gem. Discover's online bank is one of those gems. I opened an account about a year ago, and cannot be more pleased. Their high interest savings account is just that, maintaining interest rates far above the average 160x higher than the savings account I used to have. The checking account, while not interest bearing, is efficient and I have yet to incur ANY fee. Not one fee! I get 1% cashback every month like clock work simply for using the debit card. Needless to say, I pay every bill with the Discover debit card. The website is clean, efficient and easy to navigate. And if you do have a question, I challenge you to call them and be disappointed. Kudos to Discover and I recommend them to anyone that does not need to visit a brick and mortar bank.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

I have been a Discover customer for about two years now. I have always been impressed with them and I never had any problems until now. I kept receiving invitations to take out a preapproved personal loan. I decided to consolidate some debt and get a little extra to put down on a car. I was approved for far more money than I needed and I went with the lowest amount to be paid off in the quickest amount of time. We worked out all the details and I spent an hour on the phone getting everything lined up.

As we were finishing up she told me that I needed to verify employment, not income, just employment. She and I decided that I would do my best to provide what she needed, otherwise, I would call back and she said that it would not be a problem. She told me that they could verify employment in other ways if necessary. From the hard inquiry they ran, my credit took a 46 point hit. I know that will bounce back in the next couple months, so normally it would be no big deal. I called back today to finalize things and to explain where I was with my employer. I spoke with Debra in Salt Lake city office and she was very rude and condescending.

I can tell you, she’s been with Discover for over 20 years, because she made that clear to me! She told me the first lady (the one that was kind and helpful) did not tell me the truth and unless I could provide the documentation she needed that the loan was finished. Quick recap, now my credit score is 50 points lower and any interest rate I get approved for is going to be much higher because Discover ran the hard inquiry, approved me, and then yanked it out from under me. I have never even made a late payment to them and I am appalled. I wasted all of this time and I was counting on them to follow through with what they said. That just didn’t happen and I am so disappointed in them.

They were my number one card and I have always had a pretty good experience with customer service. That is no longer the case and I am pretty sad about it. I suggest that you tread carefully. You can’t count on what they say so I would suggest that you pursue other options along with this one and don’t let them run your credit because you are not really preapproved. You’re not even approved after they tell you you are approved! I hope this review helps. You have to be leery of all credit cards, and this one is no different.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I opened a Discover credit card and immediately enrolled in their automatic payment system. Unfortunately, that system didn't work and the first 3 months of payments weren't automatically paid like they should have been. When I reported it to Discover they admitted they were wrong and removed all the late charges for those payments, but they refused to remove the negative items on my credit report which means for the next 7 years I have to pay for their mistake by having bad credit. I don't understand why if they removed the late charges that they wouldn't remove the credit report items? Anyway it was such a negative experience that I would not recommend Discover to anyone. Get a Visa, Master Card or American Express instead.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Bait and switch, they claim their secured card dollar amount is matched, not so! Capital One MUCH better! Buyer beware! It was a horrible experience. Also the card took forever to get, now my credit has been hit with a hard credit check for a useless card.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I applied for a card to do a balance transfer. One was 10k, others small. My credit 7k, so they could not do the 10k, so I am thinking ok, let me make sure they didn't charge me and I was indicated the 10k wont process since well 7k. Without informing me they transferred balance on the small ones (don't care) but like 5k from the 10k, I did not want it if it was not full amount. I was not informed, emailed or anything, I don't check account everyday practically who does, but checked several times. They did the transfer 12/14, and when I called they said they could do nothing when it said pending on my account, but apparently it was already transferred.

How are majority of customers to keep up with all this without asking us if our credit line does not meet transfer amount if we wanted to continue with transfer? Know why they didn't ask? Cause they are a greedy scummy company, and if they wanted to truly they could cancel the transfer, but they won't, because they are evil. If I was rich, the president etc, they would magically be able to. Do not do business with this shady company which doesn't work with common sense and processes to keep you informed in a timely manner. They sent me email 12/15 informing me, so I call to cancel and nope too late, why send me email now and not way before? They the type to use some small print in corner no one sees as a way out. Avoid, when I'm done paying this off (now have one additional bill, thanks Discover) I'm done with this scummy, greedy, evil company.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2020

Discover Card has proven itself to be a lousy company. I had been a customer from 1994 - 2020. Out of the blue, I called Discover to ask about a charge I saw on an old bill. I wanted to confirm that I was not paying for a service that I did not use. During that call I was told my account had been closed. I was surprised. I asked if there was an unpaid balance or delinquency. There was none of those things. Then about two weeks later, I received a letter from Discover Card indicating that they had closed out my account for lack of activity... I was thinking, "What are they taking about? Aren't we in a pandemic?"

Well, the answer is Discover claims that they have proprietary lending guidelines that inform these decisions. The guidelines appear to place no value on customer relationship, nor on time payment, nor good standing account status. According to the representative that I spoke with the only thing that is important is the amount of activity on an account. But, as I noted 2020 is the year of quarantines and stay at home orders. So, it is true, I was not using my Discover card. Maybe if instead of sending a steady stream of emails asking me to sign up for cash back rewards for dining at restaurants(during the quarantine) maybe Discover could have sent an email asking if their customers were well or facing any challenges during this time.

Either way, my relationship with Discover is over. They do not value customers and the services they provide are the same as any other credit card company. Do not do business with such a callous company. Almost every business has seen a decline in business this year - it's just that all of them are not cutting customers at the knees.

Discover Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information