Discover

Discover

3.8/5 (500 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I paid for a hotel through Priceline.com that was cancelled by the hotel and resold. Consumer protection law states that if a product is NOT delivered, delivered damaged, or is not as advertised, then the non-refundable clause is not valid and the customer is entitled to a full refund. However, Discover told me that regardless of the amount of proof provided, they support the merchant unless the merchant agrees to refund the customer, which means that their claims of providing consumer protection are false, and they are forcing their customers to pay, though the law says otherwise.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I have been a customer for over 25 years. Raised my interest rate more than any other credit card I own. I don't want to hear it's because of the Fed. None of my other credit cards raised my rates the way you did!!!! Customer service did not care!!!! Do not choose this credit card!!!!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I’ve had a Discover card on and off for over 25 years customer. I had superb credit, as I’m careful only to spend what I can afford to pay off, usually many times within a month. I had to close/reopen a card due to loss and the old card got $20 charge that hit late. I was completely unaware and due to how they permit online accounts I had no real time online access to the old account. I only received one letter in the mail six months later, and quickly paid it, but they reported it delinquent. My credit score has declined by 70 points.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

So I opened up a savings account with Discover that I had heard so many so-called great things about them. I was trying to get away from my other crappy Bank First National Convenience Bank of Texas due to financial issues with them and was recommended discover. Just to have them close it 3 days later with no explanation to why what happened. Told me it is a business decision and that I would have to wait 60 days to receive my money in a paper check.

I have no documentation indicating that that would happen though I have requested it. I have talked to so many individuals and their so-called Network. And they all want to tell me these statements "rest assured", I understand how you feel, verbally say you will get your money in 60 days. I work 2 jobs and go to college. Now I can't pay my bills. I was supposed to be paying for school but now I can't because I have to wait 60 days which then it's going to be too late and they're going to charge me extra fees.

I am appalled that they can't do anything to verify my money or that it's me making these transactions which was only total of two. I don't know do Zoom meeting so you can see the person visually to verify. What I don't understand is that my bank confirmed communication. I verified the transactions and I have been told that they are just holding my money and won't release it for who knows what reason now. That's really messed up. It's like telling someone they cannot eat for 60 days.

Discover has really put me in a bind and made me very fearful of any other bank out there. I am helpless and hopeless and I do not know what is going to happen to me if I'm not able to get my funds back when they so-called Representatives say you'll get your funds. I can't rely on somebody's word at least get me a documentation. An email something. But they can't even do that. They get to go home to their pretty little mansions and to their families and friends and get to go to the store and buy food and clothes and whatever the heck they want to where I can't do a thing until 60 days are up. Way to mess with someone's life.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

I've been a DISCOVER card holder since _1989_ (33 YEARS!!!), with never a late payment, never a complaint. I have always paid off my card every month. My credit score is exceptional (839). On Jan. 4, 2022, I ordered premium arch-support sneakers from an online vendor. They arrived Feb. 28, the wrong size (3 sizes too big), mislabeled, made of cheap polyvinyl, no arch support whatsoever. The merchant had presented completely fraudulent ads and reviews. Of course by the time they arrived, it was too late to return them according to the Chinese merchant's 10-day return policy.

So I disputed the $33.94 charge with DISCOVER. I provided 15 pages of evidence, including the original ad, photos, a shoe size chart, my correspondence, numerous critical consumer reviews of the company and its numerous fraudulent activities, yet DISCOVER sided with the merchant. The merchant made false claims about the shipping, they lied and said they did not see anything wrong in the photos I sent them. And DISCOVER agreed with them! I am in disbelief that DISCOVER backed a fraudulent merchant scammer over a loyal customer of 30 YEARS. Over $33.94? Where are the laws that are supposed to protect customers?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

So we all know things happen, sometimes it is unforeseen. In 2000 I got a divorce and the X walked away without paying anything he was supposed to leaving me to flounder and attempt to take care of everything. Needless to say that didn't happen. I bring this up because it is 2022 and 22 years later I am still being hounded by Discover card. I have paid in thousands of dollars because they get a garnishment. While I understand it was my responsibility to take care of this I had 2 children, was a single mother and one income. No child support and it wasn't possible. 18 years later I am still being harassed by them because they sued me for breach of contact. So beware if something bad happens in your life and you can't pay them they will hound you forever. So when choosing a card please do yourself a favor and think twice. I wish I had never had this card.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I opened a Discover checking account around June 28, and they decided to close it on July 25 for "suspicious activity". I did absolutely nothing wrong, and now they won't return my money for 60 days. I cannot wait 60 days, who can? I called everyday between July 25 - July 29, and no one could help me get the money faster or even an explanation as to what happened. Someone told me I would receive a letter in the mail stating what happened (implying it would come before my money), but then someone told me today that letter would not come until my check came with it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

As a long time user of Discover, 20+ years, I have noticed a notable drop in customer service since last year. I can no longer pay from my online bank as it takes 2-3 weeks for them to post the payments to my account. Also, there is no online method to contact them, have to wait on phone line and their text messaging is only a bot for answers. I am now searching for a replacement for this credit card.

Original review: July 19, 2022

I disputed a transaction regarding an Amazon charge. When I contacted the merchant about the problem unable to assist me because I don't have an amazon account. When I reached Discover, I was unable to help because the merchant showed proof of delivery. However, the merchant delivered the wrong address. I am closing all my DDA and CC accounts with Discover.

Original review: July 7, 2022

They keep sending checks in the mail which get stolen by thieves and cashed. After several calls to them ending in them saying they would reimburse the money, I gave up. I even sent them video of the thief stealing the check from my mailbox. I am now forced to pay the amount stolen and it was not even my fault. I immediately caught the first transaction of $60 and called them. The security dept. did nothing and the next couple days ANOTHER $500 amount from a check was posted. I instantly froze my card after this and called them. They said the same thing that I would be reimbursed but nothing happened. I was however, able to dispute the $500 charge on the website and it was reimbursed. I contacted them five times with no avail. As far as the remaining $60, all I received from the security dept. were lies, saying the money would be reimburse the next day.

I never asked for promo checks to be sent in the mail and personally think sending them is moronic and puts me in a very concerning situation where I can potentially lose a lot of money. I am forced to freeze my card for life since closing it would negatively affect my credit history. The promo checks keep coming and after my experience of not being reimburse from a theft that was 100% Discover's fault. I am done with this bank and will avoid all banks that put me in any situation where I can lose money from a result of the bank's stupidity.

Discover Card author review by Danni White

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Discover Company Information