Discover
1.20/5

Looking for a great Credit Card?

Discover

668 Discover Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

This will most likely fall on deaf ears, but this company is a joke with their crappy customer service. It started a few weeks ago when my wife was on their website paying our bill and there was a warning for us to call in to discuss a possible breach to our account. So, I called Discover to discuss this warning we got, mind you that we never got a call, email or a letter, and I was worried as to what may have happened. It turns out, that a company I used my card with may have had a data breach and my card could have been one of those affected by the stolen data. Now, this is where it went south for me. Discover acknowledged the issue and already issued me a replacement card and canceled my current one. I was upset that it took for me to place the call to them to find this info out and to top it all off, they will not tell me who the company was which is BS as why would you protect these thieves and not your own customer.

Their answer was that it is their choice to withhold this information from their customers which is why they issued me another card. Ok? But what about my other cards that can be stolen like theirs if I continue to use this unknown company again in the future and it's obvious that they didn't care about their customer and only this other lowlife company who stole the data. So, in anger, I told the supervisor that I wanted to cancel my account and I'll take my business elsewhere. Of course, he didn't even try to save the account and began to ramble some gibberish I didn't understand and said, and I decided during the way phone call to not close the account as I wanted to speak to someone else about the issue, but it was too late, he said what's done, is done.

I said how is that so when we're still on the call and I didn't want to close it or understand the gibberish he was spewing, he stated that I didn't hear him and it's too late. I then called the executive office to complain and after they reviewed the issue they too said there is nothing that can be done. I find this all to be BS. You're telling me that if one of your staff closes an account by mistake, that's it? Nothing can be done? After spending thousands of dollars with them, this is what you get. No compassion or care in the world to your needs. I'll be sure to pay off the balance, so they don't get an extra dime from me in interest.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Please, I beg you to choose one of the other many credit card companies available to do business with. This is honestly what happened to me. Well, I was a card member since 2004, and I never had a late or missed payment. However, I decided to close this joint account with my husband since we were going through a divorce. The payment was made in full at the end of July, this year, to pay the card off completely, and on August 2nd, this year, I even called Discover to be sure that there wouldn't be any other fees or interest added to the account as well as to confirm that the account was closed, which had also been previously requested prior to the payoff to ensure that no other charges would be posted to the account.

Discover ensured me over the phone that the account balance was at zero, there were no other charges coming through, and there were no additional fees or interest that would post to the account. The representative even said that everything had been taken care of for this account, and there was NOTHING ELSE we needed to do. Well, I just got an email alert from my credit monitoring that my credit score had decreased. I checked it to find that my credit score had dropped almost 100 POINTS! Yes, 100 POINTS due to a late payment from Discover.

I immediately called Discover to find out from them that INTERESTINGLY enough on just the day after I spoke with them on August 2nd, August 3rd, this year, there was an interest fee added to the account for approximately $21, which I had no idea about since Discover never sent me a bill for this interest via regular mail, email, nor text. Well, this approximately $21 in interest that was added to this closed account damaged my credit, and there was NOTHING Discover was willing to do about it.

To continue their fraudulent, sneaky, and underhanded scheme, the very phone call from August 2nd that would've proved that their representative told me that there would be no additional interest or fees added to the account, according to them, wasn't able to be pulled, because AFTER 60 DAYS, THE SAME amount of time it takes to report the late payment to the credit bureau, all phone calls and conversations customers have with them are deleted! Call them to verify this for yourself! What does Discover have to gain? Getting rich off of the additional fees being added to the initial fee that they didn't want to tell you about in the first place. I hope you're following me. If not, trust me on this, go with another company.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Discover Card…employees and management were beyond corrupt IMHO and based on what I went through. I purchased ProtonVPN service through PayPal using Discover Card as the source of funding and that was when the nightmare started. I did not receive the service and since Proton was unresponsive I put in a dispute. Proton closed my account and refused to refund. I put in a claim, Proton said I had to close the claim to get the refund and then a crooked employee at PayPal told me the same thing which is strictly against PayPal policies when addressing a customer claim. I put in a chargeback through Discover. A month later Discover reversed the chargeback without emailing or mailing me.

I called their Salt Lake City and a female employee in customer service confirmed they had gotten an inadequate response from PayPal – she said just having my name and credit card information does not make it a valid charge. She reinstated my chargeback against Proton/PayPal. A month later once again Discover reverted the chargeback to me. I called in and two male employees in customer service told me tough luck despite the fact that even PayPal had found in my favor. They told me to resolve this with PayPal. I called and talked to PayPal's US manager. He confirmed that they found in my favor and had sent the funds back to Discover card. I called Discover back and spoke with another female employee in customer service. She investigated and then told me she had good news that the PayPal documentation ruled in my favor and that the investigation was closed.

Discover strangely enough made this a courtesy adjustment. Odd but at least I got my money back. I also received an email confirming that the investigation was closed and they found in my favor. A month later I checked my account and Discover had once again reversed the chargeback and had written that the charge was valid in disputes. I called in and spoke with a male employee and was told there had been another response from PayPal which I proved to him was a complete lie. He could produce no documentation from PayPal proving his claim. I registered a complaint with the CFPB. The charge again went away and Discover magically produced all the letters I was supposed to have received – also a lie. Disputes still showed charge valid.

I complained to their corporate offices and their investigation was a complete farce. Discover never took any action against the male employees that lied and refused to put me through to a supervisor and corporate admitted they did not know why. They tried to browbeat me as to the charge being valid and lied about how PayPal processes chargebacks. I finally cancelled the card. So are employees at Discover siphoning off money and keeping it off the books if they get PayPal funds and then claim they did not get them? IMHO they are one of the most dishonest lending institutes in the US besides PayPal. The total time frame from charge to dispute to claim to chargeback to final refund to canceling the card… March 2018 to October 2018... Seven months! Avoid this scam credit card company at all costs!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I opened a Discover card because we were in the process of purchasing a new home. We needed to purchase appliances and several items for the home. Since we had quite a bit of purchasing we needed to do, we wanted to take advantage of their cash back matching. When I opened my card, they gave me an exceptionally low credit line. The credit line they gave me was 1/10th of what my other credit cards had which made absolutely no sense. My credit is prefect, no late payments, paying every account in full every month as well as my credit score being in the 800s. I was very upset by this but hey, I figured I could make it work.

I asked them if I overpaid the account to make my purchases if that would be okay. I made several calls each to different agents confirming this could be okay (to cover my basis and have records of my calls) and was told by every single agent it was fine. So I overpaid the account by several thousands of dollars and proceeded to make my appliance purchase. In the store my purchase came up declined. I called Discover to find out I could not make the appliance purchase and was limited to my credit line no matter how much I overpaid the account. I was livid and embarrassed. I proceeded to make the purchase with another card just fine.

I then asked Discover to send back the overpayment. I made several requests and every single request was completed wrong and it took weeks and weeks as well as daily calls to Supervisors to finally get this processed. When it was processed, they not only sent the refund via electronic refund, but they also had cut me a check.

The double refund now put my account over my credit line and this was reported to the credit agencies which caused my credit score to drop 100 points. (I repeatedly called them and asked them to put a stop payment on the check. This was a nightmare as well. I never did or had the intention to cash the duplicate refund and told them I would send the check right back to them as soon as I received.) To this day I am still trying to clean up this mess and fix my credit because of them. I ended up closing my account after only having the card 3 months because they can't get their act together and my account has been a complete and total disaster. Stay away. Stay away. Stay away. This company is so incredibly incompetent.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I called to tell them I was going to be a few days late with my loan (10 days) and they suspended my credit card account. They neglected to tell me this action would adversely affect my credit card account. I spoke with 4 people and none of them delivered a consistent excuse as to why I wasn't told. Customer Service is horrible and they really don't care about their cardholders. They are on a persistent money grab!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Switching 'Discover it' card to 'Discover it Mile' card gave me huge trouble. A week before I called to account manager through ** this phone number, his name was John. He gave wrong information about switching 'Discover it' to 'Discover it Mile' card. Actually he informed me that I can get all offers that was in 'New Discover it Mile' card even I switch 'Discover it' to 'Discover it Mile'. So, I switch the card and I purchased my cruise ticket and air tickets of total amount $2600.00. And after a week later I called to Discover card account service ** and I got information that I will NOT get any offer as in the New Discover it Mile card.

That info made me in stress and big trouble because my plan was to pay back that $2600 within 3 to 6 month (Actually in new card offer APR 0% for 14 month). So, the bad thing is if I could not pay that amount they will put APR 27% so I requested to manage all offers in my switched card but they denied. And unfortunately I canceled that switched Discover it Mile and reverse into Discover it card. That made me huge trouble, stress and I don't know how to pay that $2600.00 coming statement. That was the one of worst customer service of Discover credit card company. So, please do not trust this company!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I was very happy for MANY years, but when I opened a checking account OMG!!! It's a different department and it's NOT wonderful! Nothing is done like any other bank in the entire world. Their rules and regulations are created to an excessive extreme. I feel like I've been through the ringer with the CIA. They send Emails that sound like the next step will be easy, BUT they NEVER address the reason why you contacted them in the first place & don't explain what steps you have to go through & all the INTENSE security hoops they make you and your co-signer to jump through and then having to go through their "Security dept" and then after being tortured by that department, they transfer you to ANOTHER department to go through most of the same questions. The intensity is WRONG!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I applied for a Discover card. The representative who helped me fraudulently transferred the total balance from another card without my authorization and then Discover refused to credit me the transfer charges after I contacted them and I requested the money be transferred back to the original card.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Was pre-qualified and given choice of five types of cards. Applied and was sent a phone number to call to complete application. Called and was given a total runaround, with excuses that the system was updating to the fact that application was processing and couldn't be canceled. When I requested to cancel the application when they would not give me an answer. Now there will be a hard inquiry on my credit report and no approval or denial. I think I've been scammed. Beware, after these people get your information and tell you that you're pre-qualified, they then will take your information and be done with you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had just about every credit card there was before the real estate market crashed in 2008. I had perfect credit. I was in real estate so I lost pretty much all my income and went through a divorce at the same time. I took out my entire 401K trying to pay my bills. Every other creditor worked with me. Discover took out a Judgment on my house for thousands more than I owed them so I couldn't refinance to lower my payments to be able to pay my other debts. I tried to call the law firm that handled it to settle it and they never called me back... When I called them back they had transferred it to another law firm that would never give me an answer to my settlement.

American Express is the best credit card I've ever had. They were amazing when I had them and realized they had made plenty of money off me over the years and didn't hit me while I was down. I am still struggling to make my house payment because I can't refinance it and lower it because Discover card won't even call me back. They've already written it off. Do yourself a favor and don't get a Discover Card.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Back in 2014 when I was in college I received a letter with code in the mail in regards to a Discover credit card. I called asking for more information with my mom. I told the rep I wasn’t interested but my mom was and she would like to open an account for herself. The rest of the call went well. They asked my mom for all her information, social, address etc. Told her they successfully opened an account under her name with a 3000 credit line. Come to find out 3 years later when I’m applying for my last year of college I get denied from the bank for a loan because I had an outstanding balance with Discover that my revolving credit was too high for my income.

I immediately called my mom in frustration as to what I could. Turns out this was her debt being reported on my credit so we called Discover together to report and ask what was going on. Apparently the card was opened as a joint account under my name with my mom as an authorized user! I told them that was incorrect and should have never been that way since they never got any of my information only my mother's. Apparently they used the offer code to do it without asking me for my consent to open a card. They were sending it for further review. December of 2017 asked my mom to stop her payment on the account and pay when it was resolved and switched to her name.

Well May/June of 2018 comes around. I receive an email of a late payment in my name. I call angry again only to find out they were not able to fix anything because I didn’t have proof. They then hit us with interest and fees and I told them no they needed to fix it so they sent it in again because at this point I had it. I was unable to finish my schooling because of all this and they were reporting to the credit Bureaus a limit of 500 now and an over the limit of 2500!! The total of 3000 I had before in which they couldn’t fix because they supposedly lowered my limit after a yearly review and now showed over 250% on my credit!

Worst thing is as of today August of 2018 I found out they closed the account and issued me another one so I had no knowledge of this ever. I never once received anything in the mail nor proof as to me opening an account. I have asked to hear the recording and they said they do not keep them for more than 90 days. I have been fighting with them for almost a year. I was told today that they can remove me and change it to my moms but she had to pay $1000 upfront and her credit line would be $500 so she would still show over $1500! They will not fix their error and are going based off of notes from different reps and are stating I am in the wrong. This is ridiculous. They have ruined my credit drastically.

I have spoken to many people today and have had it. One rep named Courtney was so rude and gave an attitude and told me “so” while another named Taylor was just flat out rude. Told me she didn’t know how the account went over the credit. When I said, "How if it was frozen and you guys should have stopped usage once it went over," that was their excuse for changing the credit line which they did when they closed the account under fraud for no reason and did a balance transfer to the new account. They are lucky this was my mother and no one else. I have never been issued a credit card with my name on it. My mom was the only one getting letters and she was the only one making purchases and payments. They never needed me for anything. Made no sense how they did this. Worst company ever!! Refusing to fix their mistakes. Please don’t go through the same thing. :(

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

After being a loyal Discover card member for 30 years, we canceled our cards. Approximately 25 years ago, after my husband and I were married, I added a new account for the two of us. Somehow, Discover listed my husband as the account holder with my social security number. Today, we received a call from Discover that our joint account had a hold because my husband's name did not match the social security number. Furthermore, if we did not provide proof that it was his social security number, the account would be closed and we would have to reapply.

After 15 minutes on the phone and explaining the matter, we were informed that there was nothing that she could do. After this conversation, I promptly called and also canceled my card that I have had for 30 years. Again, I was informed that there was nothing Discover could do. Can Discover afford to lose long-time customers, who spend a significant amount of money and pay their bills?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

This is one of the worse credit cards I ever had in 30 years. 1. Discover practically nobody knows Discover and if they know it, they do not want to accept it. 2. For you to take in consideration is that if you ever have a problem with a merchant or a dispute, in which the merchant stole your information, or knows your information from previous purchases or if you just want to have the money back because the merchant did not provide the service you were expecting and you need to make a dispute or claim directly with Discover "FORGET ABOUT IT, YOU ARE DONE. FOR SURE YOU WILL LOSE."

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I just found out that a credit card I've had Discover for over 10 years - with a PERFECT payment history, was closed a month ago. They closed it without advance notice, or notification after closing it. I only found out about it because Credit Karma notified me, as in "hey did you know Discover closed your account?" So I log in to my Discover account, and see nothing unusual. The account "appears" active, with a zero balance, as I would expect. It even let me activate a 5% cashback bonus offer!!

I then login to my Credit Karma account to see some details, and it says my Discover credit card was closed in July (about a month ago). So I call Discover, and sure enough, they tell me yes, they closed my account because I didn't have enough activity on it!! Just like that! I ask for it to be reopened, and their response was "sorry, we cannot do that", and that "you can reapply for a new card". They do this fully knowing that 1) closing a 10-year old credit card with a perfect payment history will put a ding in the account holder's credit score, and 2) applying for and opening a brand new card will put ANOTHER ding in the said credit score. And why do they not even bother to at least update my account online to indicate that it's been CLOSED?

I have many other credit cards, all in perfect standing, and am generally happy with all of them. Comparing the service and value that Discover offers, I honestly cannot see any reason to continue doing business with them. There was a time when Discover USED TO have one of the best credit cards, and one of the best customer service departments around. That was many years ago. Something has gone seriously wrong with their management, which now seems to have absolutely no desire in, or any clue about providing value to their customers, or retaining their best customers.

Needless to say, I will not be opening a new Discover card account. I will not be doing any more business with Discover. Discover has succeeded in alienating me as a customer, and I have a good deal of influence on many people's choice of credit cards to obtain and use. And finally, to anyone here considering getting a Discover card, if you love erratic and unpredictable behavior from your credit card company that can mess with your credit record and score, not to mention with your day-to-day finances, by all means, Discover is the card for you!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I recently received an email stating that my Discover credit card had been closed. This was surprising since I always paid more than what was due, always paid on time and recently paid off my balance. When I called to inquire, they stated that they do credit checks every year and found that my debt had increased, I had several delinquent accounts and a few new accounts that I had opened.

I went in and check my credit report and while yes my debt had increased as I had to get a newer vehicle, along with a few other needed household appliances that can’t really be done without. I have never had a delinquent account although Wells Fargo shows that I was late one payment over a year ago which is also not true and I have been fighting ever since. This is very disappointing as I had always been a very good client who works very hard to pay all her bills on time. This is also very upsetting since this will only serve to bring my credit score down even more.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

Approximately a month and a half ago I applied for a Discover It card. I was immediately approved for a $8,000 credit limit. I used the card once to purchase a rental car. I paid more than double the minimum payment before payment was due. I moved shortly after. I called and gave a change of address. I was directed to the fraud department where I was asked several questions to prove my identity. I answered them correctly. Without explanation, my card was suspended. I was told to fax my social security card, ID, and a utility bill. I expressed my concerns about sending my entire identity over a fax machine. They didn’t care.

I didn’t have time to do it right then because I was in the middle of a move. I called a week or two later and spoke with a representative to get a fax number and see how to resolve the issue. He told me that he had taken care of the issue and that it was okay to use the card. I didn’t use the card again but got a notice today saying that my account has been closed. I called to talk to a representative. She told me to write them. She refused to give me any other information or explanation. Getting a Discover card was a big mistake and it was a scam. They approve you to help their numbers and then kick you out for no reason. They don’t actually want your business. This is going to negatively affect my credit and I didn’t do anything wrong.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Closed my account without much reason - I tried very hard to keep my payments on time, pay everything in full, etc. Things that would give a good history for my account. I was able to bring my account to $30,000 available credit. All of a sudden my Discover card got declined and I called Discover and they told me there wasn't much information besides it was a "business decision". Wow! Just like that my credit line just got hit with a negative $30,000 credit. The rep told me I could mail them to inquire about the closed account. Not an email or phone number, but snail mail. I guess the way I treat my credit with Discover isn't good enough for them. Even though very disappointed by this I still would like to learn why and improve my credit.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

In a nutshell: Discover Card closed my account--which was in very good standing with no late payments (perhaps ever? At least no late payments in the last few years)--because I didn't send in a copy of my Social Security Card and some other information even though I was in another country at the time! No explanation, and the warning came with very, very little time to do anything about it. I got the information to them as soon as possible, and they just closed it down.

The longer story, just to underscore how poorly they handled whatever they're doing: In the midst of intense traveling to multiple locations (including one location out of the US), my Discover Card was suddenly declined--specifically, when I was trying to take a Lyft to the airport. Discover didn't call me in advance to warn me and tell me what was going on. I called to see if I could resolve what was going on, and after a few minutes, I was kicked off the call because of a fire drill (6/6/2018, approx 5-5:30pm). At this point, I just had to use a different card because I was going to be late to my flight (and indeed barely made it). So I learned after calling back later that I had to send in a copy of my Social Security Card--and I didn't even know at first where exactly it was, because I hadn't used it in years--and some other information.

The guy on the phone said I had been sent a letter; BUT I hadn't received a letter yet, and all of this was due in days--even though I wasn't at home! I sent in everything as quickly as I could (later in June), even enlisting my mom's help in another state to track everything down. Still, without any explanation, they closed my account. When I returned from abroad, I saw the letter that they were referencing; because I was gone for so long, I have no idea exactly when it arrived, but it couldn't have been more than a week before everything was due. Perhaps they sent the letter to my old address even though I updated my address almost immediately after moving in my online Discover portal (about a month before this all happened).

I've followed up with Discover a couple of times, and they won't give me any information about why they closed my account. Someone who responded to my last inquiry said something about reviewing my account and my original customer agreement, which makes me think they decided I wasn't profitable enough and found a way to kick me off of the account--who knows. I had been a customer for over a decade. I made payments on-time. All I can think is that maybe they're struggling financially and offloading less profitable accounts--I have no idea. The lack of information and especially the ridiculous hoops I had to jump through in order to keep my account open even though I was in a different country, only to have my account closed anyway--were infuriating.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

May 24, 2018, I made an online transaction, and just to confirm that the transaction went thru, I called Discover Credit Card company. They informed me that, “No the transaction did not go thru, and that I should go to the physical address to make the transaction.” So I did, using another means of payment. However, when the bill cycle came, the online transaction did go thru, and therefore left me with a big credit card bill. I spoke to the supervisor on the resolution dispute team, and they told me, they couldn’t do nothing about the big bill, even though they gave me the wrong information, and therefore created this headache. Don’t know what to do, but pay the bill... So frustrating.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Every single time I have called them they answer in under 2 minutes. They are very professional and helpful. I have switched to Discover for all my banking and have not had to pay any fees in years! Not to mention they have some of the highest interest rates on savings accounts and cash back on debit card purchases. They really go above and beyond for the customers.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

After several years of only minor problems and good service, they've turned into liars and cheats. They just tack on balances $$$ with no explanation at all. Try to hide it behind unnecessary steps, and they stopped posting account balance with each transaction. Online CS is a waste of time. They try to delay or lose your payments IF YOU MAIL THEM IN. I think their system was HACKED but they're still trying to operate with damage data. Often their computers go down and doesn't show them your account details. CS will fake it on the phone.

Original review: July 29, 2018

Not only are the rates outrageous (I have a card with less than half the APR), but it's obvious they don't want to help you with your credit rating. They are only out for the buck and how dry they can squeeze you. The customer service is totally lacking. They are not capable of telling the truth and of course, blame you for the high interest rate. When FICO scores go up and up, interest rates are usually adjusted. When they won't do that, it says a lot about the morals of the company.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I had the Discover IT card for 14 years, and didn't use it for 4 years. Then suddenly they decided they are going to INACTIVATE me and I find out the interest is the highest they have while I have 2 other credit cards with interest rates LOWER than theirs. I tell them this and have to send a letter and get reduced but I guess I still had the date of inactivate hanging over me so I call up to ask some questions as I am thinking of using it and guess what, they INACTIVATED me and when I talked to a supervisor I was basically told I could REAPPLY for their card. As you can see the commercials are BULL, they do not offer competitive interest rates, and there is nothing and I mean nothing exceptional about their card. In other words, they suck. Go to Bank of America or CITIBANK or anywhere but with them!

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have been with Discover for over 20 years (that is, Discover has 20+ years’ worth of my credit history) and had a Discover Card that had a $29.000.00 credit limit on it. I then was divorced by ex-wife and was left with an empty house that I needed to refurnish. I stumble upon an offer for a “Discover it” card that among other things, offered me a 5% cash back bonus on all purchases made in the first 90 days, so I signup online and was immediately approved for a “Discover It” card, thinking I will use that card to refurnish my house and get a 5% cash back bonus. THEIR OFFER WAS A SCAM, the most devious scam I have ever encountered in my 65 years on this earth.

What ended up happening is Discover changed my credit line from $29,000 down to $3,000 and told me I couldn’t get my credit - line changed until I had established a credit history with Discover. What the heck – I have been with you for 20+ years, have a FICO over 800 for years running, and you already have a long credit history on me.

I called to get the credit line put back to where I could actually refurnish my house, but was repeatedly told by Discover that their ‘policy’ was that I had to establish a credit history with them before they would consider changing my credit line. Da… “How long does that take?” says I. “90 days” says the Discover supervisor. So I tell the Discover people that I have a creed I live by; “I like to do business with honest people who want to do business with me.” And I now realize that Discover ain’t honest people. Thus this warning to everybody, and thus the reason, after 20+ years of being a loyal honest customer of Discover, I have now cancelled all my cards with Discover, and will never do business with Discover for the rest of my life.

Moral – the “5% cash back on purchases made in the first 90 days” is just a total “bait and switch” tactic that Discover uses to get you to switch to their “Discover It” card. My advice to you is the same as several other people’s review of the Discover Bank company – BUYER BEWARE. DISCOVER HAS TURNED INTO A DISHONEST, UNETHICAL, NO INTEGRITY, SCAM-RUNNING COMPANY. (“What does it benefit a man to gain the world yet lose his soul?”)

Original review: July 19, 2018

I have Discover since 1995, I made a late payment 5 years ago and they are charging me 21% interest even though I have excellent credit. When I called they did not offer to lower the rate, except for new charges in one year. This is exploitative. Do NOT use this credit card.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I have been with Discover for 16 years, until one day a charge showed up on my card, I disputed, they told me not to worry about the charge. They credited my account. 3 months later, my card was recharged again... To make a long story short, I had to pay 345.00 dollars for something I didn't charge, I paid them off and REFUSE TO EVER USE DISCOVER AGAIN. They have lost my trust after being loyal this company for years. Never again. I am too afraid another charge will appear on my account. Customer service is terrible and doesn't care one bit about their customers. AMERICAN EXPRESS WILL ALWAYS GET MY BUSINESS. Never leave home without it. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. You will be paying for someone else's charge.

Original review: July 9, 2018

After submitting endless documentation for a chargeback, Discover Card favored the merchant because merchant did not submit to Discover any documentation and that means merchant not guilty of any wrongdoing, get a load of that. DON'T USE DISCOVER NO MATTER WHAT OFFERS THEY GIVE YOU!!! DON'T TRUST THEM!!! Get your Visa or MC but forget Discover, do yourself a favor. I thought they were great until the first chargeback in 20 years. Not worth the problem and they don't deserve my trust or endorsement. They cheat you on a chargeback. In order to get their merchants to push and accept Discover Card and grow their base, they will always side with the merchant. They'll let you down as a individual favoring the merchant!!!

It happened to me over a hotel charge!! America's Best Value Bradington, Fl did not respond to the chargeback I started so Discover sided with them, after I submitted FULL documentation. What? That's Discover for you. I charged $3-7K every month & pay it on time always. They sided with merchant and they threw me to the dogs on this chargeback. I stayed 4 nights and the hotel says 6 nights, what a joke. I showed Discover that on their own card the gas & food I paid to get home to NC from Florida the day I checked out. Merchant won't cooperate with Discover on telling them the # of nights I stayed on this dispute so Discover sided with hotel even though I did send in all documentation to discover. Discover says they are a documentation company, THAT IS A BIG JOKE. DISCOVER ONLY SIDES WITH MERCHANTS NOT THEIR FAMILY OR INDIVIDUAL CUSTOMERS!!!

Please no matter what don't use Discover on any important transactions!!! Also no matter what Discover card says they are lying to you that they say they are a documentation company. They are not! I trusted Discover for over 20 years and the first chargeback that it was just $122.00 they let me down, I charge thousands a month and pay it off every month & never late once for 20 years. Compared to VISA or MC Discover is just terrible siding with the merchants and not their family customers. What an experience & bad example of a credit card company. I'M CUTTING IT, PAYING THE BALANCE AND NEVER AGAIN USE DISCOVER. Discover are not trustworthy. My wife and I have discovered! I wish I could post details to show my little chargeback is valid. I can't reveal my identity we all know why. Do not trust Discover Card especially on a chargeback. Thank you for reading.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I’m just really upset with the way Discover has treated me. I’ve had my card for years. It is the first card I opened on the road to building my credit. I’ve never missed a payment and never been late with a payment. I worked so hard to get my credit to where it was and it’s unreal how they just kick you when you're down. Life happens and unexpected expenses come up so there may be a time when your balance is higher than usual, but for Discover to close my account based on the balance of another is not okay. Especially for them to do so immediately after. They did not even allow for a period of correction or for things to be updated.

They closed the account and made a permanent decision that can’t be reversed over a balance was paid down literally a week after they reviewed it. When I asked what happens when they review an account while items are in dispute the answer I got was there’s nothing they can do and I will have to open a new account which is just ridiculous. So now when my accounts are updated and my score would’ve gone back to where it belongs it will now be ruined because of Discover's decision to close my account. It lowers my available credit, ratio, adds an inquiry if I try to open a new account with them, and completely destroys my length of credit history as it was the first credit card I got and I am only in my 20s. So thank you Discover.

Original review: July 6, 2018

For English-speaking people, Discover has the DUMBEST supervisors/representatives working for them. I had my card hacked. They made it like it was my fault, thinking I made the unauthorized purchase. I returned an item back to a company who refunded me over 3 days ago. These IDIOTS at Discover never transferred the credit to my new account number. So it wasn't the company who gave me the refund, it was the idiots at Discover who never did anything. I'm done using their stupid card. Chase Freedom is better. Most of them are foreigners who run it, but I have better luck with Chase. PLUS, it doesn't take forever and a day to process your payments!!! And they update much faster than Discover. And another thing, they let me pay a different amount more than the current balance, so I can pay ahead of time, UNLIKE DISCOVER, who only lets you pay the current balance, which is stupid.

Updated on 07/10/2018: They FINALLY moved my credit over from my old account that was hacked, onto my "new" card. I've since transferred my cashback bonus into my bank, and I transferred my credit balance into my bank account. And I have closed my account with them. I will never use Discover Card AGAIN. They are only going to get worse, not better. I don't recommend ANYBODY use Discover card. They are the worst. Very stupid, and incompetent people work for them. Better to have foreigners that do a better job than "English-speaking" people who don't do THEIRS!... Get Chase Freedom! They are much better.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I had changed my account due to fraud. I did place Discover on the list for my bank, asking to push all on the list through. However, I learned Discover was not withdrawn. I also learned that Discover reported/told on me to the Credit Bureau due to late payment. Just know the payment deducted each month is more than the minimum due, if any. I will no longer be using this card, or any other card due to these practices. I will stick with my one card where balances are due each month. This is over. Thank you.

Discover Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Discover is a leading direct bank and electronic payment services company. It’s one of the most trusted financial institutions in the country, and it has been operating since 1986, which is when it introduced the first cash rewards credit card. It provides international credit solutions and acquires 5,000 new customers every day.

• Cash back: The Discover It Card offers great cash-back rewards, including 5 percent cash back in rotating categories and 1 percent cash back on everything else.

• Financial Education Center: Excellent online resource for those who need to learn about money management and how to stay out of debt.

• Account freeze: If a card is lost or stolen, it's easy to freeze it by using the online app or by using their mobile app.

• Free FICO credit score: Discover provides a free online FICO credit score for consumers who have an account.

• Reputation: Discover has a great reputation as one of the largest lending institutions in the country. The company also has a wonderful reputation for customer service.

• Convenience: The website makes it easy to apply for an account and set up payments.

• Best for: Consumers who have good-to-excellent credit, consumers in need of a balance transfer and consumers who need to establish or rebuild credit.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
    Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Discover Company Information