Disclosures

Discover

3.8/5 (578 ratings)

About Discover

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I signed up for credit card so I could finance a mountain bike with intro APR. I was approved for a $12000 limit with an instant line of credit through Apple Pay. I had the bike built but the card was declined, I called CS and they said the account was so new they couldn’t help me in anyway, I politely asked for a reference number for our conversation and was promptly hung up on. No big deal, I’ll put it on another credit card and have Discover fix it all in a couple days.

Two days later I called and asked to have the balance transfer fee waived so I could have zero APR to pay off this mountain bike, I was passed around to about eight different employees, two of whom admitted there were a lot of problems with the instant credit and something should be done, but ultimately the blame was placed on me since “Discover can decline any purchase for any reason”. I was also called “presumptuous” for thinking Discover would right their wrong and help me balance the transfer with no fee. Discover decided there was nothing they were willing to do or could do, whatever it actually was, and when I responded with “if nothing can be done I will cancel the card.” They swiftly responded “okay your card is canceled, have a good day.”

I was in complete disbelief and will never touch another Discover product with a ten foot pole. I am very polite and sympathetic to CS and have never had anything resembling this bad of a CS experience. I really wonder how they maintain their customer base after this and reading more of the reviews like this. C’est la vie.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

Discover credit card is phony. Stay away from this company. If you dispute a charge they will side with the seller every time even if you didn't get what you paid for. Closed my account. Had a rewards balance of 59 dollars. They told me I would get a check for my rewards. They shipped me a check for one dollar. Called them. They said that's all I had in rewards. Phony bunch of liars. Stay clear.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

I was a Discover Card holder for 9 years from 2001-2010 (among many others). My initial credit limit was $9,000.00 with a APR of 18%. As a rule, I always keep my credit balances low and pay the entire balance off every month and I have never missed a payment (with any of my credit cards). Every 2 years I would call customer service to request a lower interest rate and they denied the request every time. In 2006 my credit monitoring service stated that Discover Card was continually running a credit inquiry on 2 of the 3 credit bureaus every 90 days. Discover service rep explained that the inquiries are for periodic account reviews for the purpose of automatic credit limit increases, that I never received. In 2007 I requested a credit limit increase and was instantly approved for an additional $300.00! One $300 credit limit increase in 9 years with stellar credit (820).

In late 2009 I started receiving letters from Discover stating that my account will be closed if I do not use the card more frequently. I began rotating my credit cards for weekly trips to the grocery store and set my account for autopay. In 2010 Discover closed my credit account without warning, although customer service stated that 1 letter was mailed out and not returned. This account closure directly caused my credit score to decrease -23 points which also lowered my credit rating. I called Discover Card customer service to request a review of the account closure and the rep informed me that the only option is to re-apply for a new credit card account, which would again, just bring my credit score/rating down even further, so I declined. Unfortunately 12 years later every other day, I still receive multiple pre-approved credit card offers/invitations from discover (not exaggerating). Discover Card is the only credit card that I've ever had an issue with.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

I paid for a hotel through Priceline.com that was cancelled by the hotel and resold. Consumer protection law states that if a product is NOT delivered, delivered damaged, or is not as advertised, then the non-refundable clause is not valid and the customer is entitled to a full refund. However, Discover told me that regardless of the amount of proof provided, they support the merchant unless the merchant agrees to refund the customer, which means that their claims of providing consumer protection are false, and they are forcing their customers to pay, though the law says otherwise.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

I have been a customer for over 25 years. Raised my interest rate more than any other credit card I own. I don't want to hear it's because of the Fed. None of my other credit cards raised my rates the way you did!!!! Customer service did not care!!!! Do not choose this credit card!!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2022

I’ve had a Discover card on and off for over 25 years customer. I had superb credit, as I’m careful only to spend what I can afford to pay off, usually many times within a month. I had to close/reopen a card due to loss and the old card got $20 charge that hit late. I was completely unaware and due to how they permit online accounts I had no real time online access to the old account. I only received one letter in the mail six months later, and quickly paid it, but they reported it delinquent. My credit score has declined by 70 points.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

So I opened up a savings account with Discover that I had heard so many so-called great things about them. I was trying to get away from my other crappy Bank First National Convenience Bank of Texas due to financial issues with them and was recommended discover. Just to have them close it 3 days later with no explanation to why what happened. Told me it is a business decision and that I would have to wait 60 days to receive my money in a paper check.

I have no documentation indicating that that would happen though I have requested it. I have talked to so many individuals and their so-called Network. And they all want to tell me these statements "rest assured", I understand how you feel, verbally say you will get your money in 60 days. I work 2 jobs and go to college. Now I can't pay my bills. I was supposed to be paying for school but now I can't because I have to wait 60 days which then it's going to be too late and they're going to charge me extra fees.

I am appalled that they can't do anything to verify my money or that it's me making these transactions which was only total of two. I don't know do Zoom meeting so you can see the person visually to verify. What I don't understand is that my bank confirmed communication. I verified the transactions and I have been told that they are just holding my money and won't release it for who knows what reason now. That's really messed up. It's like telling someone they cannot eat for 60 days.

Discover has really put me in a bind and made me very fearful of any other bank out there. I am helpless and hopeless and I do not know what is going to happen to me if I'm not able to get my funds back when they so-called Representatives say you'll get your funds. I can't rely on somebody's word at least get me a documentation. An email something. But they can't even do that. They get to go home to their pretty little mansions and to their families and friends and get to go to the store and buy food and clothes and whatever the heck they want to where I can't do a thing until 60 days are up. Way to mess with someone's life.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

I've been a DISCOVER card holder since _1989_ (33 YEARS!!!), with never a late payment, never a complaint. I have always paid off my card every month. My credit score is exceptional (839). On Jan. 4, 2022, I ordered premium arch-support sneakers from an online vendor. They arrived Feb. 28, the wrong size (3 sizes too big), mislabeled, made of cheap polyvinyl, no arch support whatsoever. The merchant had presented completely fraudulent ads and reviews. Of course by the time they arrived, it was too late to return them according to the Chinese merchant's 10-day return policy.

So I disputed the $33.94 charge with DISCOVER. I provided 15 pages of evidence, including the original ad, photos, a shoe size chart, my correspondence, numerous critical consumer reviews of the company and its numerous fraudulent activities, yet DISCOVER sided with the merchant. The merchant made false claims about the shipping, they lied and said they did not see anything wrong in the photos I sent them. And DISCOVER agreed with them! I am in disbelief that DISCOVER backed a fraudulent merchant scammer over a loyal customer of 30 YEARS. Over $33.94? Where are the laws that are supposed to protect customers?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

So we all know things happen, sometimes it is unforeseen. In 2000 I got a divorce and the X walked away without paying anything he was supposed to leaving me to flounder and attempt to take care of everything. Needless to say that didn't happen. I bring this up because it is 2022 and 22 years later I am still being hounded by Discover card. I have paid in thousands of dollars because they get a garnishment. While I understand it was my responsibility to take care of this I had 2 children, was a single mother and one income. No child support and it wasn't possible. 18 years later I am still being harassed by them because they sued me for breach of contact. So beware if something bad happens in your life and you can't pay them they will hound you forever. So when choosing a card please do yourself a favor and think twice. I wish I had never had this card.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I opened a Discover checking account around June 28, and they decided to close it on July 25 for "suspicious activity". I did absolutely nothing wrong, and now they won't return my money for 60 days. I cannot wait 60 days, who can? I called everyday between July 25 - July 29, and no one could help me get the money faster or even an explanation as to what happened. Someone told me I would receive a letter in the mail stating what happened (implying it would come before my money), but then someone told me today that letter would not come until my check came with it.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

As a long time user of Discover, 20+ years, I have noticed a notable drop in customer service since last year. I can no longer pay from my online bank as it takes 2-3 weeks for them to post the payments to my account. Also, there is no online method to contact them, have to wait on phone line and their text messaging is only a bot for answers. I am now searching for a replacement for this credit card.

Original review: July 19, 2022

I disputed a transaction regarding an Amazon charge. When I contacted the merchant about the problem unable to assist me because I don't have an amazon account. When I reached Discover, I was unable to help because the merchant showed proof of delivery. However, the merchant delivered the wrong address. I am closing all my DDA and CC accounts with Discover.

Original review: July 7, 2022

They keep sending checks in the mail which get stolen by thieves and cashed. After several calls to them ending in them saying they would reimburse the money, I gave up. I even sent them video of the thief stealing the check from my mailbox. I am now forced to pay the amount stolen and it was not even my fault. I immediately caught the first transaction of $60 and called them. The security dept. did nothing and the next couple days ANOTHER $500 amount from a check was posted. I instantly froze my card after this and called them. They said the same thing that I would be reimbursed but nothing happened. I was however, able to dispute the $500 charge on the website and it was reimbursed. I contacted them five times with no avail. As far as the remaining $60, all I received from the security dept. were lies, saying the money would be reimburse the next day.

I never asked for promo checks to be sent in the mail and personally think sending them is moronic and puts me in a very concerning situation where I can potentially lose a lot of money. I am forced to freeze my card for life since closing it would negatively affect my credit history. The promo checks keep coming and after my experience of not being reimburse from a theft that was 100% Discover's fault. I am done with this bank and will avoid all banks that put me in any situation where I can lose money from a result of the bank's stupidity.

Original review: July 7, 2022

I applied because I needed help with my credit, after I was charged I didn’t get an email or anything for 3 weeks, called confirmed address and they said wait 2 more weeks for it to arrive, after it didn’t called again and they had to confirm the address again because it was wrong. Waited to more weeks and the address hadn’t been updated, asked for it to cancel and they don’t refund directly they send a check which takes 7 to 10 days. Felt like a total waste of time and hopefully it only happens to me, never applying for Discover again.

Original review: July 5, 2022

I just opened an account with them, less than a month ago. They froze my account, I have no idea why because you can't get a person on the phone. Their phone system hangs up on you after 3 hours of waiting. I have been on hold with them for over 15 hours and have yet to get a person. The customer service people just say sorry and there is nothing they can do, you have to speak to the fraud department. They refuse to let you speak to a supervisor and I have received 3 different answers on what the hours are for the fraud department. I found a number to call for the Customer Advocacy Group, I called it, in the middle of the day and guess what, I got a message that said no one was available and to leave a message. I just want to close my account and my money back. DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT AT DISCOVER.

Original review: June 25, 2022

Do you enjoy listening to "hold" music for hours? (Maybe weeks) Do you yearn to talk to someone from Salt Lake, UT? Do you like surprise account freeze so you can't bank anymore? (Even after 30 days after opening it) Do you enjoy repeatedly explaining your issue to many different people? (People from Salt lake) Then my friend this is a bank for you. You won't be disappointed. There is no other like it. Take it from my experience.

I wish I had read other people's reviews on here before opening up a checking account with them. Froze my account without telling me, then after 7 days of countless hours on phone, I was able to unfreeze it. I had scheduled payments that didn't go through, got charged various service fees for returned payments. I tried asking to discover if they would cover those fees they said nope they do not do that. They do not value their customers. Sad.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I booked a specific location space, and reservation with a residential company. The company booked me in a location I did not ask for. It is now six months later and Discover did not do its due diligence to get the specific information to resolve the situation. They believed what the merchant said and looked at the documentation, which clearly did not validate the location I booked. The merchant was not cooperative and also did not do their due diligence. I did not have time to do their jobs for them. However it was obvious after three attempts with Discover, they were not going to assist me, their customer.

Today, I found specific documentation to validate my claim and clarify the situation. I called them and was hung up on three times. I just wanted them to do their jobs and do the due diligence that I spent my time doing. This is a 1,700 error on their part. I will update this IF they get their jobs done. I don't have much faith in them. Capital One would never to this. I have learned.

Original review: June 18, 2022

When opening an account with Discover, if you work at a place that only does checks, just go with a place that has in-person services. Because they will hold your money for over a week and screw you over.

Original review: June 18, 2022

Opened a checking account with discover in May and deposited my government paycheck at the end of the month, Discover (being the crooks they are) claimed the check was fraud and totally seized my funds and closed my account. I lost all my money and they refuse to give it back. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from this sham of a company, if you have to bury your money in the back yard then that's better than banking with discover! I've been fighting with them for 3 weeks now with no resolution, I don't understand how it's legal to take someone's money without any probable cause. I also don't understand how they are still in business, they are 100% involved in organized crime. Why else would they take people money away? These people are total crooks and they deserved to be sued and shut down.

Original review: June 15, 2022

I had a Discover card and I ran in to some financial hardships. I contacted Discover to let them know and asked if I could get a lower monthly amount due. They were beyond rude and basically told me that it was my problem, not theirs. Because of their unwillingness to work with me I ended up going to one of those debt consolidation companies. I gave them all the information about the company I decided to use several times and they refused to acknowledge them and refused to contact them. The more that I tried to give the information to them the nastier they got!!

They filed a small claims case against me instead of contacting the finance company!! I contacted the finance company and they're going to try to negotiate a settlement for me. They always advertise how they're willing to do anything to help their customers but that's a big joke!! Instead of having their customers back they stab them in it!! Totally worthless company!! Do yourself a favor and get a different credit card!! These people are out to get you instead of being there to help you!!! Avoid this company at all costs!!

Original review: June 7, 2022

They just closed my account for inactivity. They affected my credit score. And they never notified me. This is a horrible company. Get any other kind of card. Not helpful to contact them. Actually useless and a waste of time.

Original review: May 31, 2022

Applied for a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) through the Discover.com website. Submitted a HELOC application, credit was ran. Then Discover tells me they don’t offer HELOCs loan. Neg hit to credit. Discover refused to provide letter for me to dispute to inquiry.

Original review: May 24, 2022

If you prefer to get great rewards and not have your account constantly locked, skip this card and choose Amex or CapitalOne. You won't regret it. I definitely regret giving this company access to my information and having ongoing problems utilizing the credit. Amex is so much easier. Don't settle.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Systems from the 90s - Discovery is a complete joke. I have both credit card and Student Loans, and they have all my information. I tried to open a savings account, and first, I can't use my Credit Card account, which is already insane. Then, I fill up everything (all information is correct, I've submitted multiple applications and checked it all several times), yet Discover will always prompt me to call them to "finish this together". I've spent over an hour in calls, and customer service is unable to figure out why my application didn't go through. They've cross checked all sorts of information and wasted my time on several occasions, and still didn't manage to make it work. What a joke.

Original review: May 4, 2022

Applied for a, Discover credit, after they sent me the card they needed identity verification, okay, I sent out all the documents they needed by the 4/25/22, they sent me an email to contact them asking me to resend the document 4/27/22. I received an email 5/4/22 asking me to contact Discover again. They need me to resend the bank statements for three months which I’ve submitted several times. I finally told them to cancel the card, I don’t need the runaround, the worst credit card company I’ve ever dealt with.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I recently had a dispute with the Discover card team. The merchant did not deliver the service that I paid for and refused to issue a direct refund. So, I raised the dispute with Discover (the card I used to pay for the service!) I got a temporary credit when I raised the dispute. After 12 weeks, I was so surprised to find the Discover dispute team mentioning: "we found out that the transaction has been found to be valid!" Seriously Discover dispute team?!!! What about the service that I was not provided for the valid transaction I paid for?! I called the dispute team and chatted with them several times. The last supervisor mentioned to me: sorry, the merchant has responded to us and informed us that the transaction was valid and asked me to seek the dispute outside Discover!!!

So, after 25 years of being a loyal customer to Discover, I decided to end this one-sided relationship right there. I just found out the true color of Discover customer service... They really don't care about their customers the way they claim. They believe that their cashback is going to keep all customers chasing them. This might've been true back in the 90s, Discover team: "wake up!" Many other cards have better cashback than yours and provide waaaaaay better (and genuine) customer service than the one you claim to have. I closed my account permanently without any intention to re-use the Discover card in my lifetime again!!!

Original review: April 28, 2022

Very bad experience with Discover. Yesterday I made a wire transfer request and discover told me they would call me in 24 hours, if they need additional information from my side. So I was standing by all day long. Today I called them to check the transfer status, discover told me they need my confirmation to process the transfer, but nobody contact me while I was waitting for their call!! And the wire transfer is just paused there!!! The worst part is today I discussed with the representative if they can do something to speed up since we already waste a whole day, she just left me on the line for almost one hour without any response!!! Seems like discover do not take their customer seriously, the way they treat customer is rude and irresponsible!!

Original review: April 27, 2022

When I retired, I made the mistake of closing all my credit accounts. Also, I paid off my home so I had no mortgage. The bottom line was, in a few years my credit was gone. Since I saw my income was better than I thought and my payments less than I had anticipated, I needed an item that required credit. But, I had no credit. So, I had to start over. I knew I'd likely have to get a secured card to start with and pay it off monthly.

So, I applied for a Discover card. Their customer service is pretty good. Otherwise, but that's where it ends. I applied for and received a secured card. One week after getting the card - no, I think it was the same day - I got by email a request for an IRS form to prowl around in my income taxes for the last two years or I would lose the card. Well, I'm not about to subject myself to that so I closed my account. Did not even activate the card.

I asked when I would get my money back. I closed my account March 30, 2022. Following was my reply: "Thank you so much for holding! Taking a look I do see that you closed the account back on 03/30/2022. It takes up to 2 billing cycles plus 10 days to receive the refund. I hope this information helps. What else can I assist you with?"

If my math is correct, that is about two and one-half months give or take a week or two and not including mail. Oh, they send you a check. They do not put it back into your checking account where they insist on getting it from you. If you apply for a card from them, any card, expect the IRS form. If you want to allow them to dig into your taxes and you want to do it, that's your business. But be aware it will happen that way. If you don't want it, don't waste your time. I now have a much better card and it is not secured and it has a nice line of credit.

Original review: April 16, 2022

I applied for a Discover it Chrome card and was approved. I received the card and activated it with no issues. A few short days later I receive notice that my card was temporarily on hold pending verification of my identity. I had to sign some forms to do so. I have been waiting almost 3 weeks with no word. Calling the security department is pointless as I get the same rehearsed speech. I could have spent the entire limit the first few days after activation then they verify? Most backwards procedure ever. My advice stay far away from Discover. Soon as I get this verification cleared I am cancelling the account without ever using it.

Original review: April 7, 2022

Got a new 'miles' card so as to take an overseas flight to Tel Aviv for my grandson's Bar Mitzvah. Have been a customer for over 3 years. And have a credit limit of over $17,000. My FICO score is 799. Discover would not increase the miles card by $1000. to help facilitate our trip. All the phone reps were or so sad that Discover wouldn't increase, but no one was available to override the policy & procedure. FICO SCORE = 799... Other Discover card has a credit limit of $17,100 of which over $15,000 was currently available. I have cancelled both cards immediately and will never, repeat never apply for or accept another Discover card as long as I live. Even the people who answered to phones could not believe it.

Discover Company Information