Find a Credit Cards partner

Discover

3.8/5 (1418 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

Called for assistance about skipping a payment due to Covid, was currently out of work. They said they couldn't help me but wanted a payment ASAP which I didn't have. I will be paying off my card and switching to a different company.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

They closed the account after a year and half because they did not get a response from the IRS. The form was filled out 4 times. They are no help and a sorry company. The ATG and BBB along with all the credit reporting companies have been notified and charges will be filed against them. Stay away from them. They are sorry and should not be in business.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

If you're erroneously charged. Good luck getting your money back! If the vendor responds at all. And I mean at all. Any false information. Any document that may not even resemble the transaction - they will side with the vendor! They create many consumer barriers for disputes: such as "you have to wait for the disputed amount to post to your account before we can investigate." And/or "this dispute can only be done by phone." And/or "we miscoded your dispute". And or "we can't tell you what evidence we will need in order to side on your dispute".

They will hang up on you if you ask them what they require from the vendor as part of their investigation. Refusing to be transparent about their dispute practices. BTW, I WAS a customer for 14 years. They lost me for $27.50. $27.50, 4 phone calls, 2 mistakes on their end, total of 4 hours of my time and energy. I hope that others learn from my experience and curb their use of Discover. You may have better luck going straight to the vendor to get your money back.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I paid online to a company to build a website for me, but that company never deliver the website, took the money and no respond. I dispute the charge, first I got a temporary credit back, then later, the charge repost back to account because merchant defend the case by simply saying I approved the transaction, yes and of course, But the key thing about disputing a charge is I don't get the goods or services as agreed or delivered as agreed. Merchant didn't deliver anything that was initially agreed in the proposal. I lost the case. Discover told me to work with the merchant to get refund. Discover credit card doesn't protect card holders. Don't get discover cards. Just don't. You're responsible for anything you paid.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

The pandemic is changing things in the financial world. It's necessary for the card issuers to vet their clientele more thoroughly with all the Covid hardship and deaths causing corporate to take a loss. It's also the great resignation along with the global strike wave with the workers barely surviving on their pittance strike pay. All of these circumstances and more are causing these credit corps to shut down risky accounts and cut back in the good ones. There's lots of tax cheats holding CCs they can hang up before they have payment problems with them. Soccer moms and others similarly situated who are up to their ears in debt will be stopped before they rack up a bill with them or make a transfer which could go sour. All in the face of the global uncertainty. There's a lot of nit picking that'll cause a lot of accounts to be shut off thus protecting corporate profits.

I realize all this after the fact. The fact I applied for and was approved for $1000 credit with Discover. I already have Quicksilver and having been building my score up enjoying a greatly reduced insurance bill. That's all I really needed a credit card for. I have plenty of money where I don't need to make payments. My house was paid for long ago and my vehicles are all paid for too. I have no bills. I don't spend but for gas, groceries, and utilities. I have enough fun money and a six figure savings. The only time I needed to borrow money was as a college student in the 1980s which was taken care of.

I needed a Discover card like I need a hole in the head because I'm doing fine building my score with Quicksilver. Since I'm reneging on signing my tax transcript over to Experian for Discover I imagine they will also close my Quicksilver on the grounds of my not sending tax info to Equifax the recent data breaches. They're farming a lot of their work out to India and the Philippines nowadays the US workers are quitting. I don't need my financial and tax getting splayed across the globe.

I will phone Discover when my card arrives in the mail and instead of activating it I will close it. I will just say thanks but no thanks. I changed my mind. I will expect my Quicksilver to be shut off because Equifax never got their 4506 on the Discover. I guess that's life but honestly I felt big holding a credit card. I wanted two cards because it really helped my homeowner and vehicle insurance bill. The credit corporation doesn't make much money off people like me and the insurance gets less out of me but I've never paid a dime interest for it. I will miss my credit anyway all over a technicality which I could actually meet but it'll still probably get rejected later down the road due to policy change or buyouts, etc.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Predatory Company. I had been a member since 2015, yet this company provides no help to its customers during Covid. Capital One waived fees for me, but Discover doesn't care. They'll take your money and smile. Stay far away from these organized criminals.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

For an int. Transfer of 400USD I was expected to pay 150 USD for taxes, overtaxes, security etc. At the first contact it was requested to open an account at offgamers and deposit 50USD which would be refunded. I did but got not my money. You have to pay now 100USD for taxes and overtaxes. What? For an online transfer? What a bad joke! Just a rip off - strongly NOT recommended!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

I just got done applying for the Discover It cash back credit card. I was approved for $1000 which is to be paired with the Capitalone Quicksilver card. I have 10 months of credit history. I had a student loan written off plus I bunged an American Express card over a lost rental car back in the day. I skipped out on a few other things and had collection agencies after me until they finally gave up on me. With this kind of credit history it's a wonder I can get any kind of unsecured credit but Discover and Capitalone have really came through for me.

My credit cards are strictly for credit score work and I've reaped those benefits on my auto insurance. I've saved a lot in that department this past year. The extra $1000 credit I'm getting will help since my girlfriend and I like to stay in hotels, rent cars, etc. It's easy for me to utilize little available credit and pay it off early watching my score climb.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Made a purchase, returned it per Discover’s request. Now I have no product, out the money for the return shipping and Discover now refuses to refund any of my money. They want me to speak with a “billing supervisor”. But they are never around to speak with and all I am told is they will call you back within 24/48 hours. They never do, so this “dispute” has been going on for 4 months now. THEY DO NOT SUPPORT THEIR CUSTOMERS AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ABYSMAL AT BEST!!! Go with the APPLE card instead. They stand by their customers and have great customer service. They actually speak with you on your time, not when it is convenient for them.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I would not recommend Discover as a credit card service. I was a customer since 2013 and have recently changed my Amazon account to be paid for under a different card when I was still charged by Discover for this Amazon subscription. The representative did not assist me in any way, only informed me that I was required to pay the amount in full and that they would not be waiving the late fee even though I have been a customer for eight years. You are better off looking towards a better credit card company if you would like to find a card to use.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

got 2 jewelry items advertised 66 grams each and each were ONLY 45 grams and they ruled in the merchant's favor in my dispute. Had almost TWO OUNCES of silver STOLEN and I'm NEVER spending with them!!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

After years with this company, Discover closed my account WITHOUT WARNING, due to a review and finding a zero balance. When I called to ask about it, they said unfortunately it’s final. No cares at all.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Have Disc. card since it's inception. No problem until now. Saw an ad and ordered online a small battery powered chain saw. Pictures and video included a picture of name brand. Extremely low priced (which should have alerted) Did not receive what was pictured and described on the order, but in very small pale blue letters was what I received. Did some research and found this was a scam and there were many complaints. Disputed the charge, offered to return item, sent photos, etc, and dispute denied. Penalized for my gullibility, they were rewarded for their duplicity.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

I have been receiving calls every day on three phone lines that I cannot block from 'Sarah at Discover' about my interest rate. Called Discover Card about this. They are aware of this but have put little effort into stopping the these calls. Say what??? These calls are hurting Discover Card's image but they don't care??? A big company like this should care and put efforts into stopping these calls. Very disgusted with Discover Card's lax efforts.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I had problems with my card being declined while paying for my tuition and I had the most helpful girls, Miss Paige and Miss Margie. I couldn't find a way to compliment them on the company website so hopefully they see it here one day but thank y'all so much! Y'all were both very sweet and helpful. <3 If you ever call Discover customer service I hope you receive these two wonderful women!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Discover Card Identity Theft Protection is $15 a month, and insures your cards, bank accounts up to One Million Dollars. I love it. It's so easy to sign up, and you get a monthly report about your status.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Because of factors like Covid and having to take care of a family member with dementia, my income last year was abysmal. I already had canceled my card and signed up for a payment plan, but was unable to make payments. However, when I contacted them to try to lower that payment and work something out, they were completely unsympathetic, robotic, and did nothing to help me. My 2021 income is a bit better, but I owe back property taxes from 2020 that I'm paying off, and frankly, that is more important than Discover. I've never been behind on property taxes in my life.

I then wrote letters telling them that I could not afford the payment and proposed a new payment. They kept sending me emails about unrelated issues, and telling me to call. As I had written in my letter, my customer service experience with them was so bad that I did not want to go through that again. They've now cut me off from doing anything online, and want a huge payment that I can't make. It isn't that I'm trying to get out of paying them - I just need a payment I can afford and for them, that is unacceptable.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I have been a loyal and reliable Discover card member for 17 years! Just found out they closed my account for inactivity. They said they sent me a letter in April I never got it. Something like this affecting credit should be sent certified. I escalated to a supervisor and was told the only thing I could do was apply for a new card... No way.

Original review: July 24, 2021

Advantages: Responsive customer service and fast fraud detection. Decent points/miles program that are easy to use at popular sites. Disadvantages: Not international. Ineffectual dispute protection was frustrating.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I was looking to transfer $ from a high interest rate to a 0% transfer fee with a 0% for a number of months. I saw an advertisement from Discover that has 0% transfer fee and 0% for around 15 or so months. I applied and was immediately accepted. When the card came I read the information and it stated that there is a 3% transfer fee. When I called Discover and spoke to an account manager, he said that, "We never offer a 0% transfer fee." I provided the website and immediately cancelled the card. Not only was I misled the process had a hit on my credit score that I have been so diligently working on. Has anybody looking for a 0% credit card transfer fee that comes from Discover please stay away so you do not have to go through what I have been.

Martin

Original review: July 13, 2021

I made a purchase in the amount of $1,128.30 on my Discover card and then had to the cancel the purchase. The retailer returned $1,098.30 (minus a $30 cancelation fee) to Discover. It has been 51 days since the retailer processed the refund (98 days since I requested the cancellation) and the credit still has not shown up on my Discover account. Discover initially blamed the retailer, but the retailer has proven that they returned the funds 51 days ago and the credit was captured by Discover. I have been calling Discover attempting to correct this issue with Discover for over a month now, and still they have not credited the funds to my account. I have dealt with over 25 associates with Discover now and still do not have my funds.

I have two experiences with this company. They have either told me they would research it and would call me back, and then I would never hear from them, and I would have to start the whole process all over again. Or they have passed me around through multiple associates and I would have to repeat all the specifics with each associate I was transferred to, until finally someone would just tell me they could not help me. While most of the associates were polite/pleasant, they were not helpful. Also, a couple of their associates were very rude and unapologetic. I have wasted hours of my life trying to get this resolved. Please do not use this company!!!

Original review: July 8, 2021

I had the card roughly 3 years, if memory serves me. I suffered a severe stroke (brain bleed) on July 2, 2019. I woke up in a hospital bed and my first question was "what about my bills?" I lost a car/jobs/and place to live. Every single company sent me straight to collections (which I abhor with every fiber of my being) except, Discover=the impetus for my being eager to settle this account. I repeat I was eager!!!! The gentleman I dealt with, quite obvious to me,,did not have the prerequisite skills to both listen and hear my words.

$61/month was the figure he came up/he came up with and I fell for it. Lock/stock/barrel. Also they wanted an upfront "good faith payment” was the vernacular used. I made that and life went on. I moved the date of payment up in each month. The recent transgression against me was I was told (quite rudely by a woman who needs to lose her job immediately) after being charged for the 3rd time I repeat 3rd time overdraft fees because the money did not come out. I repeat did not come out on the agreed upon date. Recently (as she once more rudely told me) I agreed to all this (we have it on tape) Mr. ** the set date was exactly July 3rd. I repeat. July 3rd not July 2nd as that was when my money was taken from me and my account that could have been about $100 is now $6.42. Also I have endured 3 hernia operations.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Discover card might have a low annual fee, but you get what you pay for! They do not protect their customers. I had a charge with a merchant who went out of business and Discover would not rule in my favor and credit my account when American Express did for the same merchant for 6x the amount. Not worth the card.

Original review: July 2, 2021

Discover's stated company mission includes: "Our mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future." Their values include "Doing the right thing," "Simplicity," and "Openness." Their practices are not in service to their mission and do not reflect their values. I recently learned I've been paying a raised interest rate (almost 28%) based on a late payment I made in 2012. Discover's rep informed me accounts are reviewed every six months, but that there is no record of my account ever being reviewed, and that the inflated 28% will continue to be the interest rate on my current balance (they did offer a slightly-lower rate of 23% on future purchases). I have never been contacted about this.

I did ask, and Discover will not correct the interest rate on the current balance, even though my account was never reviewed after they raised the rate, and they will not offer anything else to make up for their ongoing overcharging. To give them another opportunity to earn some of my trust back, I asked about some of the benefits they offer to incentive new customers, and they rejected that olive branch as well. Discover is not a good company to work with, and anyone investigating opening a credit card account should look elsewhere.

Original review: June 29, 2021

I am a new customer to Discover and every step of this relationship thus far has been horrific. They botched a balance transfer and have been useless in fixing the issue efficiently. I have had to do all the leg work myself. The lack of intelligence and efficiency in their approach to service and financial matters is staggering.

Original review: June 26, 2021

Just went through a dispute with Discover Card. The dispute lasted 15 weeks! If you think Discover has you covered, you are sorely mistaken. Discover got rid of many of their perks in 2018. **. I have been a consumer with Discover Card for more than 20 years and did not realize that they were cutting so many of their benefits. During this dispute process, I found out exactly how much Discover cares about their long term customers. Zero, nada, zilch. I was told that it didn’t matter how long I had been a customer and whether or not I had ever disputed anything before.

I was lied to repeatedly by Discover. I asked if text messages between myself and the post office would suffice as evidence that I never received my packages. I was told yes. After providing this information, I was told that it was not evidence. I then provided an email from the USPS stating that I did not receive the package. Again, Discover Card said that the email was not proof. I got on a 3 way phone call between Discover, the USPS and myself during which USPS stated that I did not receive the package. Yet, again, Discover said that was not proof. Discover claimed that the only proof they would accept was a letter on official USPS letterhead that stated that I did not receive the package. Really, Discover? I’m not sure why exactly you think that your long term customer for 20 years is trying to swindle you out of $70.

Finally, we had a 3 way phone call between Discover, the merchant, and myself. In the phone call, the merchant admitted that I never received the package and was due a refund. Discover stated that this again was not acceptable proof. Again, Discover said that the only proof they would accept was a letter on official letterhead that stated that the merchant would provide a refund. Luckily, the merchant did the right thing and jumped through hoops to satisfy Discover. On 5/30/21 this letter was provided to Discover. Apparently this was still not enough evidence for Discover. The case was sent to a 3rd party chosen by Discover that would make a final decision. The third party decided in my favor on 06/24/21. Really? You were already told by the merchant that they would refund my money, but Discover took 25 days to make a decision. Furthermore Discover had to be told what the appropriate decision was by a 3rd party.

During this process, we repeatedly asked Discover to call USPS themselves and call the merchant themselves. We were told that they don’t have phones. Really? There is not phone at Discover? I called them on the phone repeatedly. I guess their phones only allow incoming calls and not outgoing calls? I suppose no one their owns a cell phone either. Seems bizarre to me. Seriously don’t waste your time or money with this incompetent company.

Original review: June 25, 2021

I have been that pain in the **, calls all the time, nitpicking, obsessing customer and Discover has gone well above and beyond every single time to resolve my issue(s)! All representatives are incredibly knowledgeable, well spoken, and go out of their way! Employees for most other companies will play the “other department” blame game, pass you back-and-forth, say they don’t know (and not offer or try to find out), blame other companies, or even put you on hold for long times only to be disconnected in the end. Instead these employees work together across-the-board, communicate with each other well, and take really good notes (so I’m not repeating myself).

I am not making this review based on one, two, or even three experiences, but many, many experiences and this has consistently been my experience. Every single person I’ve spoken with has been from the United States and all have been incredibly knowledgeable, well trained (you can tell they cross train in other departments), and respectful. When they didn’t know the answer to something, they found out; all I had to do was ask! They always have a good attitude and continue to go out of their way even when you are frustrated. Best of all, there are never long holds or endless automated systems! A couple days ago I actually was transferred correctly to three people for two separate problems and in under 8 min, my first issue resolved and I was already speaking to the last one for my other problem (which was resolved only a couple minutes later) —MIND BOGGLING!!!

Also of note, I’m not treated well bc I am some top tier client. I started with my Discover It secured credit card and gave them $200 of my own money to borrow. I paid off my balance every month religiously and without me even having to ask, they refunded my $200 and increased my credit limit to $1000 six months later.

I’m realizing this sounds like some fake review (at least that’s what I’d think if I read it), but rest assured Discover doesn’t need to seek out positive reviews, they’re already there. This has just been my experience. I felt compelled to make this review because I have been that person that doesn’t review often, but when I do it’s usually negative and I felt compelled to do this one because they have truly pressed me that much!! There are only two other companies I have done business with in the world (not credit card companies) that have impressed me with their customer service, but Discover tops them both! Please keep up the good work Discover! You have made a customer for life (provided you don’t change) and you are RARE! Thank you for making this part of my life as simple as it should be! I am truly grateful!!

Original review: June 14, 2021

Discover is usually taken only after issues with Visa or Master cards and they are aware of that status and give you credit for maintaining the card. By that I mean you will not get additional penalties or interest or late fees. I've found their customer service to be helpful too.

Original review: June 8, 2021

My experience with my Discover Credit Card was fine until I noticed one day that I wasn’t getting credit back when I was paying my credit card like normal. I talked to customer service twice once in March and today and they said I enrolled in a temporary hardship program where my interest rate and minimum payments would be lowered after 12 months of paying on it but my account would be suspended still even if I paid it off. I told both of the CS reps that I never consented or signed anything to get lower payments or lower interest rates.

By the way, the lower payments were $20 and that’s what my payments already were. Without knowing this, I contacted customer service in January, before talking to those two people, asking for the person to help me set up payments for $50 a month. Why would I want to pay $50 a month if I was in a hardship and wanted my payments lowered. It makes zero sense. I never consented to this and never signed anything. They are saying that I had to have signed something to enroll in this program but never did. Also, they say they can’t do anything about it. It’s ridiculous I can’t use a credit card that I’m paying on and even if I pay it off.

Original review: June 7, 2021

Customer service always helpful, friendly and quick to resolve any issues and/or answer any questions. I had a question about some charges to my account and they were more than helpful to investigate while I was on the phone to help clear up my confusion and resolve any issues I had. This is the best credit card and bank I have ever worked with.

Discover Company Information