2. Finance

Discover

Discover
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: May 2, 2020

This has been my experience with Discover during the Coronavirus pandemic. I was enrolled into a disaster relief program. I was told I would not have to make any payments on the card, and would not be charged late fees, but would still be charged interest. My card was shut off without any notifications, because there is an outstanding balance. I am unable to buy food as I am writing this. So, Discover disaster relief = don't make any payments, but still be charged interest, and you can't use your card, but we don't tell you about that.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Discover....Discover....Discover.... Wow I thought y’all were better and this. I had a $8,500 credit card limit with them from 2016 until 2019. I always paid on time with them and then I had something come up which put me behind on a couple payments. They closed my account and I signed up for a pay plan with them to make monthly payments. I set up for payments to be automatically withdrawn from my checking account. I have made those monthly payments on time every month.

I call to see if they can change my due date from the 26th of every month to the last day of the month and was told they cannot do that because my credit card account is considered a “REVOKED” account. I don’t understand how Discover can’t change a due date by 4 days for someone who is paying diligently on a closed account. Get this one...I was told by the representative Valerie that I can pay on the 27th or even the 30th, but would incur late fees?? Excuse you! No thank you! I “corrected” her and let her know that when I originally signed up for the pay plan that I was told to never be late or miss a payment as that would kick me out of the program.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I received a pre approved offer from Discover. The rates were better than my previous card rates. So I decided to apply and was denied. My Credit score is average about 675. Thanks for the useless hard review. I could really do without another on my report. Just took my score down assigns I'm disgusted.

Original review: April 27, 2020

Discover promised a quick and easy process to get a equity loan, but only delivered a long, drawn-out disappointment. They made it seem like things were going well in the process. Along the way they kept wanting more and more documentation and then kept coming up with excuses to extend the process. In the end, after over a month of trying to get the loan done, they used a faulty appraisal to kill the deal and end the loan process with me. They wasted my time and lowered my credit score for nothing.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I purchased a chain from eBay for $900 that arrived damaged and fake. I tried to send it back and eBay and PayPal messed up the claim so I had to go through my card company which was Discover. Long story short they half ** investigated by reading only eBay an the seller noted an tried to hold me responsible for $900 for a fake damaged chain until the seller decided to do the right thing an work things out. The seller should’ve had to think about doing the right thing had discover looked over all of my documents because all was noted even a tracking number that showed that the seller had the item back but discover sent me a message saying the case was dropped and not in my favor. Pretty much saying I’m out of $900 plus the chain that the seller had back. I’m still fighting them about this ** up right now so be very careful when dealing with this company. Card itself is ok but the dispute department all needs to be replaced.

Original review: April 27, 2020

I have had my Discover card for almost 20 years and have recently had it deactivated without notice due to lack of use. I find this highly frustrating and extremely poor judgement on the side of Discover. I will say, that while living in the US, the card is works well however, since moving overseas I am finding it very difficult to use as no one here seems to accept Discover. So I feel as though I'm being penalized because Discover can't get their act together and partner with more services internationally. To summarize, if you only need a card in the US, it works well enough. If you travel internationally, choose another brand.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I had a secured Discover credit card. My balance was over the limit and I had missed a few payments. My account however was not closed and I was still allowed to make payments on the balance. Discover locked me out of my online account and said I need to contact something like a fraud department or identification verification line. I then received an email asking me to verify my identity though Equifax via the IRS. I then opened the email link and it asked for a transcript of my tax return. I called Discover to see what this was all about being it no longer looked like they just wanted to verify my Identity but also have a look at my financials. They women told me they just want to look at your address and name and social. I asked her, "Will you be able to see my income." She replied, "I cant promise we wont be able to." I told them no and they stated they would have to close the account. I said ok close it and they did.

So they let me close the account over the phone even though they supposedly want to verify my ID. So why would they let me close it over the phone if they weren't sure I was the owner of the account. Strange. I understand My balance and none payment may have had something to do with it but they told me they were going to start doing this with a lot of accounts for ID purposes lol. Strange practice for sure. Watch out people.

Original review: April 24, 2020

Recently acquired this card. I have excellent credit. They report that those with 690-850 credit can acquire an interest rate of 11.99-22.99%. I got 20.99 with a credit score of nearly 800. I asked them to lower it since my other cards with higher balances are between 10-15%. They told me they would not lower it since "you are at the lowest rate for your account type". If they won't support me and back the decades of keeping a great score then I will give my business to companies that care about me as a customer. Discover card is clearly not interested in earning my business. As such they will not earn revenue from me.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I'm only giving these guys one-star because I don't have the ability to do 0 stars. After being a loyal Discover credit card holder for the last five years, having never missed a single payment, and having paid my card off in full on numerous occasions. I received a secured message from them today notifying me that my credit line was chopped by 1/3. What is so shameful is that it was made under the guise of my debt to credit ratio when in fact it had absolutely nothing to do with that. How do I know? I find it ironic that the day they chopped the credit line I read a news story on Yahoo about the company reining in credit lines because of fear of nonpayment. And how has my loyalty been rewarded? It's been rewarded by the company lying to me about the reason for chopping my credit line instead of telling me the truth.

And what's even more shameful is that while so many companies have done the right thing by helping their customers through this tough period best behemoths and bulge-bracket companies like Discover scurry away like cockroaches when people need their help the most. Needless to say my credit card has been shredded, will pay the balance off on the next pay period, and will never do business with these ** again. Chase and Citibank, on the other hand, have been wonderful during this crisis.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I notified Discover that I did not receive an item I purchased. Let me say this first I have never missed a payment and used discover for years and never ever put in a dispute. They say they will not credit my account due to some record they have from the company from China.... I repeat I NEVER RECEIVED MY ITEM . With that being said the next time I reach for my credit card to pay for something it WILL NOT be Discover. I would close the account but it will make my credit score drop.

Discover Company Information