Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Discover
3.63/5

Discover

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

752 Discover Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

This was my favorite card until I had to file a dispute regarding some charges- since I had called to report the error the day the charge appeared and again a week later plus emailed the company that charged me to tell them about the mischarge (I had been double charged for a product I did not order), then sent another email 4 days later to the company stating I would like my original order cancelled as well since I had heard no response from them about the mix up and that I wanted to cancel any subscription I might be signed up for (since it was a trial order)- I felt safe with the paper trail and my calling Discover that there would be no problem... I received more charges at much higher amounts over the next month and a half... altogether costing me nearly $400.

The company supplied them with "example" invoices and images of a product I never ordered or received so the charges were validated by Discover even though I sent documents, copies of my emails with no response, and had been calling Discover from the beginning and did all that they requested. I am paying off my balance this month and cancelling. I use a credit card for the protection against fraud and with Discover there is none.

Original review: July 3, 2019

Discover recently cancelled my card. This came out of nowhere and for no good reason. I have absolutely no lates on any credit in the last 10+ years. I've not defaulted on any loans. And though my income is down over the last year, I have been paying regularly. And my balance isn't anywhere near the limit. So there's no good reason for them to do this. And no one will tell me why they did it. Apparently it was a computerized review that determined it. The say they have no other information. I will never utilize any service associated with Discover ever again. They have earned an enemy for life!

Original review: July 2, 2019

Imagine my surprise and discontent. Called to use the pay by phone system, it used to take about 3 mins, hit a few buttons and done, did NOT have to talk to anyone, did not have to try to enunciate clearly, did not have to shout, and did not have to get patched through to an agent because the voice activated system is still learning!!!! So mad, because aside from have to repeat myself multiple times to a ** computer and hanging up and redialing, it still ended up patching me through to an infinite ignore, listen to music system. Whoever is selling these companies on voice activated bill pay is selling you all down-the-river, because consumers all hate it. Do you market research.

Discover used to be my favorite card, now they have added themselves to the list of more-trouble-than-they are worth. We just went back to cash being a simpler and less stressful way to pay or snail mail which I had stopped doing several years ago. But the idea of having to argue with a voice activated computer raises the blood pressure. Too many years of AT&T crap. Last phone I will ever buy will be AT&T and it is because of the customer service, voice activated, automated system that NEVER gets it right!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2019

I've been a Discover card holder for over 10 years, never missed a payment, one late payment recently. So I knew my credit score was "Good". I went shopping for a new car, thinking that since Discover claimed my FICO score was 813, I would qualify for 3.5% interest. Boy, was I in for a shock. Banks don't use TransUnion scores to determine your interest rates. So this "wonderful" score from Discover did me no good.

Original review: May 17, 2019

11 year customer, 803 fico per Discover, $24,400 credit limit, account closed for lack of activity with a single snail-mail notice. No online messages, no emails, just a single paper correspondence which I apparently didn't read. "Unable to reopen, feel free to re-apply." Unbelievable!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: May 15, 2019

After being a card member for 6-7 years, never missing a payment, and just having my line of credit automatically increased, my account was closed with notice of an email. After calling, they mentioned that it was due to a mark on my credit report. This mark was made in error, the company provided a letter mentioning it was in error, it was reported to the credit bureau and in the process of being removed (but this is a long process, apparently), but Discover did nothing to notify or reach out before closing the account, regardless of history and years of membership.

When providing all the above information, they were unable to help or entertain the idea of reopening the account, said they wouldn't even when officially removed from my credit report, and that I would have to reapply, which they confirmed would be another hard inquiry and affect their answer. You would think that loyalty, on time payments, and no account issues for many years would mean something, but to Discover, it means nothing at all.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I recently became a customer with Discover credit card, but I am having horrible with their billing department customer service. I opened a dispute after purchased super-fake bag from one seller on eBay. After provided all the documents and evidence to help and support my dispute. However I received the notice that told me their decision was on seller favor and the credit was reapplied back to my account. I had to call them several times. Finally they admitted that maybe some mistakes and they will continue working on my dispute.

After talked to many different representatives from their billing department, few of them had extremely rude attitude, leak of knowledge of dispute progress. They DO NOT review detail of all documents before they made the decision. I do not how to review the documents but even I uploaded many documentation to show the charge was invalid. I do not recommend Discover to anyone. I HOPE THEY WOULD HAVE BETTER AND KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE TO REVIEW THE DISPUTE BEFORE MADE THEIR DECISION.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I was first approved by Discover for a secured credit card 2 weeks ago. Paid my deposit directly from my bank account then 3 days later told I needed to file an IRS form so they could get my income from the IRS. My banker said he would give me a secured card at US Bank. No problem. That's the reason for a security deposit. I've just been approved for a Capital One semi-secured card. They add an extra hundred dollars to whatever amount paid as deposit so it's a better deal anyways. Stay away from Discover Cards, as a merchant I WILL NEVER ACCEPT Discover card for their having played this game for 2 weeks now. Worse they sent me an email yesterday saying that they would determine if I was owed any funds back from my $300 deposit in 4 four months! Can you imagine waiting an additional 4 months? Fortunately, my US Bank is good at allowing filing of disputes even for account debits. I'll file a dispute today right away.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I got a letter in the mail stating I could get a Discover card with a 18% APR, they counter offered a 26% APR card after denying me and dinging my credit with a hard inquiry because I didn't want their terrible interest rate.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I have been with Discover for 32 years but I can't get a statement from them in 2 years. Also I can use their credit card but on my Credit Report it shows this account is closed. I need this Credit History for my Credit score. Otherwise it shows I don't have a Credit History. I've got a Capital One card & love it. Discover keeps giving me the runaround saying they are sending out a statement but we never receive it. They say it's a computer glitch. Why they can't notify the credit bureau the account is open? Well maybe you need different people in your technical dept. Why can't they pick up the phone & call instead of letting a computer feed the information.

Discover Company Information