Disclosures

Discover

3.8/5 (570 ratings)

About Discover

Discover Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Discover Card?

Original review: April 28, 2022

Very bad experience with Discover. Yesterday I made a wire transfer request and discover told me they would call me in 24 hours, if they need additional information from my side. So I was standing by all day long. Today I called them to check the transfer status, discover told me they need my confirmation to process the transfer, but nobody contact me while I was waitting for their call!! And the wire transfer is just paused there!!! The worst part is today I discussed with the representative if they can do something to speed up since we already waste a whole day, she just left me on the line for almost one hour without any response!!! Seems like discover do not take their customer seriously, the way they treat customer is rude and irresponsible!!

Original review: April 27, 2022

When I retired, I made the mistake of closing all my credit accounts. Also, I paid off my home so I had no mortgage. The bottom line was, in a few years my credit was gone. Since I saw my income was better than I thought and my payments less than I had anticipated, I needed an item that required credit. But, I had no credit. So, I had to start over. I knew I'd likely have to get a secured card to start with and pay it off monthly.

So, I applied for a Discover card. Their customer service is pretty good. Otherwise, but that's where it ends. I applied for and received a secured card. One week after getting the card - no, I think it was the same day - I got by email a request for an IRS form to prowl around in my income taxes for the last two years or I would lose the card. Well, I'm not about to subject myself to that so I closed my account. Did not even activate the card.

I asked when I would get my money back. I closed my account March 30, 2022. Following was my reply: "Thank you so much for holding! Taking a look I do see that you closed the account back on 03/30/2022. It takes up to 2 billing cycles plus 10 days to receive the refund. I hope this information helps. What else can I assist you with?"

If my math is correct, that is about two and one-half months give or take a week or two and not including mail. Oh, they send you a check. They do not put it back into your checking account where they insist on getting it from you. If you apply for a card from them, any card, expect the IRS form. If you want to allow them to dig into your taxes and you want to do it, that's your business. But be aware it will happen that way. If you don't want it, don't waste your time. I now have a much better card and it is not secured and it has a nice line of credit.

Original review: April 16, 2022

I applied for a Discover it Chrome card and was approved. I received the card and activated it with no issues. A few short days later I receive notice that my card was temporarily on hold pending verification of my identity. I had to sign some forms to do so. I have been waiting almost 3 weeks with no word. Calling the security department is pointless as I get the same rehearsed speech. I could have spent the entire limit the first few days after activation then they verify? Most backwards procedure ever. My advice stay far away from Discover. Soon as I get this verification cleared I am cancelling the account without ever using it.

Original review: April 7, 2022

Got a new 'miles' card so as to take an overseas flight to Tel Aviv for my grandson's Bar Mitzvah. Have been a customer for over 3 years. And have a credit limit of over $17,000. My FICO score is 799. Discover would not increase the miles card by $1000. to help facilitate our trip. All the phone reps were or so sad that Discover wouldn't increase, but no one was available to override the policy & procedure. FICO SCORE = 799... Other Discover card has a credit limit of $17,100 of which over $15,000 was currently available. I have cancelled both cards immediately and will never, repeat never apply for or accept another Discover card as long as I live. Even the people who answered to phones could not believe it.

Original review: March 31, 2022

I applied for a Discover card on the 20th of March and they approved me and now here it is March 31 and still no credit card. Nothing in my mailbox or anything sent to me saying they sent out my card. I had to cancel that one and order a new card. I was lied to about the new card being in by the next business day. So I would not advise letting Discover pull a credit report on anyone who has perfect credit because you’ll never receive your card.

Original review: March 26, 2022

I got approved for my Discover card a little over a year ago. In February I got a phone call stating I needed to fill out a form for SSA to verify my identity. Why didn't you verify my identity when I applied? Because of me neglecting to do something the company should have done before approval they have now froze my account. I just got the email this morning that they are freezing my account even though they did freeze my card almost a month ago. Screwing me out of the 18 months 0% APR. This is really shady behavior. A big named company like Discover should be verifying people's identity before approving any credit limits. My 18 months would have been up this September. I always paid at least my minimum balance off every month and this is how you treat your customers? You call them with a shady request. Asking for us to print the form out fill it in then take a picture of it to submit.

I did eventually reach out to customer service to confirm if it was a scam which they said it was legit. When I asked why wasn't this done before approval they said they couldn't answer that and I'd have to talk to someone else. I was approved for a limit of $500. Maybe they considered it a small amount so they didn't check my identity for that reason, I'm not sure because no one at Discover will answer my questions. I get the same results over the phone and online. It was a great card up until this lack of proper verification on their end. Maybe next time they should verify the identity before approval. In the meantime, I am still paying my card off, even though I can no longer use it, that's just the type of person I am. For anyone looking for a credit card company beware of Discover's suspicious actions. I have talked with many people about this and all of them agree that this is shady on Discover's end.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I bank with this company and I have the most onerous and frustrating experience ever. I had to pay money to a government country department and due to time sensitivity, I was only given 3 business days to process the payment. At the time being, I was unaware of wire transfer which can deposit money almost instantly or same day but I didn’t know that so I elected to try a cashiers check option first which turned out to have not been able to make it on time anyway. Long story short, I asked the bank to cancel my cashier's check and was advised to send it with the word VOID written across. I then proceeded to upload the check back to the bank system for evidentiary purposes that the check indeed did not get deposited and I ought to receive the funds back to my account. The VOIDED check image was received on Monday and I was told that it will only be a couple of days before posted without anyone gave me more clarification since.

Then by Wednesday I still didn’t see the check deposit so I called back and still nothing happened because the said department was on lunch. Then I checked daily and still no one could tell me why nothing happened although they had my document uploaded and received. Eventually, it was Friday and I had to make my daily call since it was literally 5 days past since I made my deposit! Long story short, I finally got to speak to the supervisor that had any idea how this was handled. She explained that I ought to upload checks on both sides. Not just the front end. This to me was a brand new discovery.

Overall, I wish that I was given the full information from the beginning and not bits and pieces. To me I didn’t think I deserve such an agony (life is tough as is) and the people and companies I entrusted my hard earned dollars to ought to take full responsibility in making my life easier not harder. I wished there’s also a way they would allow me to email instead of crunching out the phone numbers and talking to different people all the time in this simple matter. Very disappointed especially I have been with them for over 20 years. I wish I can take my money elsewhere soon.

Original review: March 8, 2022

I have been a member since 2009 (almost 15 years) and kept a balance on the account the entire time until I paid it off about 8 months ago. I always paid on time and never defaulted on the loan. I just received a letter in the mail stating they are canceling the account due to inactivity. I called customer service to see if it was a mistake. No, it was not. They did not care that I was trying to pay down the large balance I accrued during this difficult time of COVID, they only cared that I had not racked up additional charges while trying to pay it off! I even escalated the call to a manager named Robert out of the Utah office and he confirmed. I'll NEVER refer anyone to Discover Credit Card unless they are an enemy!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Been with Discover Card since 2007. In December 2021, Google Play charged my card $84.68 for an Epoch Times android app subscription. I did not make that charge. I provided Discover Card numerous forms of documentation from the Epoch Times proving I did not have an subscription, that I did not own an android, and that Google showed no such subscription under my account. Apparently, Google Play collected money from my Discover Card and pocketed it for themselves.

Having worked in the legal field for 28 years as an investigator, I made sure I closed any excuse Google Play could give Discover. However, Discover approved the charge claiming they received a document from Google Play which convinced them that I had in fact made the charge. Not only did I never receive a copy of this alleged document, Discover never informed me what Google was claiming. Discover pushes security above everything, but allows fraudulent charges to be made against their customers. So, after 15 years, I'm closing my Discover Card account. I suggest you do the same.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I have had a Discover card since 2014 (8 yrs) and never carried a balance. Always paid on time. I applied for a different Discover card and was approved for $1000 credit line. Asked to have it increased but denied. Asked to have the credit lines combined (they do it but denied it). They make absolutely no sense. I wanted an increased line of credit which they could take from the other card I have and still can't seem to help. They keep citing the new card is a new account even though I have been with them for 8 yrs already. Thanks, but I will do business with a company that wants to make the purchasing fees with no risk of not being paid in full.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

I have always paid my account on time and been a good customer since 2017. They lowered my limit in 2019 and I took that in stride, then they raised my limit in 2020. Last week I received an email stating that they were closing my account because they wanted access to my tax returns. That is a blatant violation of my privacy! They have no right to my tax information at all, I pay my bill on time every month! SCREW Discover and their communist **! This is how they treat disabled Veterans?! I urge all VETERANS to close their accounts and send a clear message to discover. WE DON'T NEED THEM. THEY NEED US as CUSTOMERS. I hope they feel the pain of losing customers!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

Less than 10% used credit debt and gave me 800 dollars if I spend 500 dollars in shoes and a good jacket 500 dollars I will used 40% of my credit so my score will go down, yesterday I almost buy a laugagge set for 700 dolars plus tax. My debt goes almost to 90% again. My credit score 40 point less, FBNO or bank of America gave me 20k both cards 0 balance , something wrong with the automated qualifications because I don't believe the underwriter gave me 800 dollars, what's goin on?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I had began paying off a bunch of my debts. Long story short, I paid off my ENTIRE $10,000 balance of my discover card. Not even a month later, they lowered my limit by 80%!!!! This has put me into extraordinary finance distress and nearly another hospital visit for mental reasons. I called Discover about solutions and the first rep I spoke to was completely ignorant and soulless. He was of no help and just constant bad news with no light at the end of the tunnel. I spoke to another rep about possibly closing the card.

He asked if I wanted to close, I initially said yes, however asked about other options. He began speaking about options and I began to give other questions, but then I lost connection. The card was then closed upon me calling back. The $10,000 I paid toward my Discover card was after nearly 3 years of perfect, on-time payments. Again, not even a month later my limit was lowered by 80%. I struggle to pay my car and may potentially lose my apartment I share as a single father with my son. I am not even 30 with a 12 year old boy. These tactics by Discover have literally brought havoc upon my life.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

The card has been fine and customer service has been good to work with, but Discover has one huge issue—their payments/available credit takes FOREVER to update. With my other cards when I make a payment it adjusts my available credit immediately; with Discover it can take up to eight days. There’s been times where the payment has posted to my bank account and I was still left without available credit. To quicken the process you have to call and have them call your bank to verify funds so it’s a huge unnecessary inconvenience. This may be a deal breaker for me.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

I used to be able to recommend Discover until I had 2 incorrect magazine charges on my account for $37 and $40. I called Discover to dispute them and they reversed them. They then talked to the magazine company and put them back on my account. I sent Discover proof of cancelation from the magazine company and the information they sent back to me even showed I was owed a credit on the second page and they missed it. They just got stuck on the initial response the from magazine that I owed it when I didn't. I even called them. Never accepted my proof of cancelation they requested (sent 3 times). Also told me I would have a ding on my credit for reporting a dispute. This was over $77 dollars. I just paid for two magazines I won't get. They are only about protecting the Merchant.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Card is great - good rewards. I would use another card for major transactions that might result in a dispute process. Other credit card companies protect the customer, Discover goes out of their way to protect the seller, no matter what kind of crap they sell....

Original review: Jan. 2, 2022

I have not used my Discover Card for many years since it stopped working with BofA's Bill Pay. Even though, the card recently billed me twice for the total of just under $20. Perhaps, I left a little bit of money unpaid and they turn it into $20 using some usurious interest rates. Yesterday I decided to check if anything changed vis-a-vis BofA and was pleased to discover that the card worked with BofA's Bill Pay. Today I tried to use the card at a grocery store. The card was rejected. I came home and cut the card in half. As far as I am concerned, Discover Card can **.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

I don't recommend Discover at all. I have been a faithful customer for 3 years, never missed a payment. I went to apply for another Discover card and was denied. I called to ask why and was told nothing they could do to help. If you want to be treated like a good, faithful customer don't use Discover. I will use them again.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I left my bank of 30 years last week to give Discover a try because they had a bonus going on and had good interest rates for their savings acct. Well it has been a week of hell consisting of at least 15 contacts with the company and their workers to fix a problem they created. I also had to call, email and chat w my current bank to inform them to protect me Discovers' predatory practices.....

What happened is pretty simple; I opened up a savings acct and using THEIR app tried to transfer a large sum of money into the new Discover savings acct. The app said repeatedly that the transfer did not go through. I tried at least 4 times then gave up.... Because I wanted to get the acct funded to benefit from the sign on bonus I took the time to write and deposit a smaller check via their mobile deposit. That seemed to work as the app confirmed it....

A few days pass and I get an email that the first deposit I had attempted actually worked. This is bad because the second deposit "the check" will soon also go through and this will overdraw my old acct... I get on the phone and talk to tons of people at Discover. I also chat, email AND use facebook public posts-which they delete if negative- and IM via FB. No one seems to know what to do and most pass the buck and act all phony sweet w/o solving the issue their app created.... I spoke to both manager Kami and Deborah and non managers Lexi, Kim, Lisa and more. All they do is blab niceties using bank speak and ** not making any sense....

I am forced to tell them the easy understandable situation over and over and they FINALLY assured me my first deposit will be returned to my old bank and they will not cash the second check till after the fact.... Well they lied. The second check hit less than 24 hours after the first unauthorized transfer and it bounced. Now discover owes me transfer fees, and bounce fees. They are dragging their feet paying despite me providing proof of the penalty fees and despite the fact in several correspondences they said they would cover for their mistake....

At this moment I have no money in my usual checking acct, no money in my Discover savings and two penalty fees in my old acct. The money is in some limbo and I need to pay bills. Who knows where it is. They are keeping my money hostage and feeding me lies.... Remember they swore to me they were returning my first deposit? They swore this on Dec 9th. Well I looked 2 days AFTER I was told this by 2 managers and there is NO RECORD that the managers Kami or Deborah even tried to return the money the faulty app took... My money is just GONE and Discover email correspondence just keeps referring me to their bad website help center-which of course does not cover this issue- while they make interest on my STOLEN money. Don't do it. Don't trust them w a dime. Dishonest, condescending, and either crooked or severely incompetent.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I had a Discover card since 2006. Never had any problems with them and would occasionally use my card, but found less places that took them recently. Logged into my account to find my account had been closed due to inactivity. I was told they mailed me a letter, but I never received anything. The amount of spam they regularly send (even though I unsubscribed) had me filtering all their emails out of my inbox. I exclusively use the Discover website to check everything, pay my bills etc. There was never anything through this main portal to let me know about any pending closure.

Online is convenient and is recommended as a preferred method of account management, so I don't understand why they would have no alerting there. I was told my account was closed 3 days after I received and activated my new card. Customer service was friendly, but there was nothing they could do, so I was told I'd just have to re-apply. Bad way to treat a 15 year customers in the middle of a pandemic.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2021

I am a student. I applied for the student CC and got approved. I used it and made payments on time. A couple of days after making my first payment my card declined. I called Discover and was told “sorry we forgot to send an email to you requiring you to send verification that you are who you say you are.” I had trouble getting a physical social security card (I haven’t had mine since I was a teenager) because of COVID and appointment times. I told them I could submit my passport or use another method like completing something similar to the system the IRS uses. Discover said there was nothing they could do and closed my account.

I just turned 24. I just graduated from law school. I have no derogatory marks or late payments on my credit. This will have a negative effect on my credit which I have worked so hard to maintain throughout school. I am beyond upset. I will never get another Discover account. Discover could “verify I am who I say I am” when they pulled my credit, issued me the card, and accepted my payments. This was the worst decision I have ever made.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

I ordered a couch online from a questionable website and it was delivered without the feet, which I was assured were in the package. Nope. I tried to contact the company through the only means provided-chat message online. I messaged over and over and no response whatsoever. I disputed the charge, and Discover decided in my favor.

Months later I get a message saying they reversed it based on information from the merchant. I had already sent them screenshots of my unanswered messages. The merchant information referred to a warranty policy that I was not able to access BECAUSE THERE WAS NO WAY TO CONTACT THEM! It was literally the same information I gave them showing I paid for the product and there was no active warranty claim. To this day I have not received any response whatsoever to all my attempts to contact the merchant. I'd gladly give back the useless couch I shoved into the corner of my garage. Never mind, I'll use my Chase credit card online from now on.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

I disputed two separate purchases and was issued credits on my Discover card...6 months later they reversed the credits and charged me. Discover gives merchants 6 MONTHS to decide what they want to do...and then they side with the merchants. They advertise you are covered for unauthorized charges...and one of my disputes was an unauthorized charge from Amazon. After many years with Discover, I cancelled my card.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I've been a Discover Card member for just over 5 years (September 2016), and up until today my experiences have been good. Earlier this year I paid off a revolving debt with them... basically I got my balance down to $0. You would think that this is good... well it is, sorta. I'm currently working on paying down some other credit card debts on cards that have been canceled. So I forgot about my Discover Card having a zero balance with an available credit line of $2000. At 9:05pm (after business hours) I received an email stating that my account would be closed. They listed 3 possible causes and then gave a number to call.

So the next morning I call the customer (dis)service number they gave me. I was told that after a review of my account, due to the lack of activity they're closing my account. I tried to get them to reactivate the account but they basically refused. What kind of business kills an account of customer of over 5 years without giving them a snowball's chance in hell of fixing it??!? Very, very VERY POOR customer service!! If I could give them zero stars I would!! AVOID Discover Card at all costs!!!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

"Unsubscribe" means nothing to Discover. Got my first Discover card a few months ago and the Spam started right away despite me making sure NOT to check the box to receive promotional emails. I unsubscribed at least 8-10 times and even spoke to customer service who ensured me the annoying emails would stop. They haven't. This should be against the law like soliciting someone after they have clearly said to put them on the Do Not Call list. Discover has no respect for its customers. I will close my account and just use the other cards I have.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

I recently received a pre-approved offer from Discover which I acted on. I was approved immediately and informed via email a credit card would be forthcoming in the mail in 3-5 business days. A week later, The day before I was to receive the card I got a spam email from Discover of which I did not open. I called Discover to inquire if this was a valid email. They confirmed it was and that I had to submit tax returns in order to complete the process.

The customer service agent was extremely rude and combative. I told him this Bait and Switch tactic was intrusive and that my other credit card companies never requested this additional info since I have a good income and good credit. I cancelled the card and told them I was no longer interested in the card. An hour later these clowns sent me a survey request. You think I gave them any positive reviews? Discover is a Sleazy and Deceptive Non-transparent Credit Card Company. Don't waste your time. Good Riddance!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Denied 9 times in 3 years for Credit limit increase while I went from $9000 to $25000 with Navy Federal, $2000 to $13500 with Citi, $3000 to 15000 with Chase and unlimited with Amex. Never went over 5% using of all my credit cards. My credit score is perfect, I’m sick tired of Discover, I’m closing all my accounts.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

I have been their customer for over 7 years. Recently they decline my transactions for unknown reasons. When I talked to a rude agent (Joe) on 11-14-21 he wasn’t able to take care of my issues. He just threatened me to close my credit card in next 10 days. Out of all credit cards that I have been worked Discover is the worst. Their customer service is not satisfactory at all. I regret working with this company. Terrible credit card company and have the worst customer service.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2021

Called for assistance about skipping a payment due to Covid, was currently out of work. They said they couldn't help me but wanted a payment ASAP which I didn't have. I will be paying off my card and switching to a different company.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

They closed the account after a year and half because they did not get a response from the IRS. The form was filled out 4 times. They are no help and a sorry company. The ATG and BBB along with all the credit reporting companies have been notified and charges will be filed against them. Stay away from them. They are sorry and should not be in business.

Discover Company Information