Chase Credit Cards
1.11/5

Chase Credit Cards

Chase has credit cards that can help you earn points on the things you love most, including travel. Read reviews for Chase Sapphire Preferred to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4914 Chase Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I've been a Chase credit card customer for many years. Recently I accepted an offer from them to upgrade my card. I accepted, was approved and awaited my new cards. Chase began sending my notifications to someone else's email! Unbelievably, it was someone I know and he forwarded the emails to me. I called Chase customer service after the first occurrence.

After a long phone session with customer service, I was assured the problem was resolved. It wasn't. A second email was sent to the wrong person a week later and he forwarded it to me again. This time I when I contacted Chase, I spoke with customer service, then a senior security specialist, then an online security specialist. No one could explain the reason why my emails & information were going to the wrong person. They filled out a form to turn over to their technical department. When I asked if someone would get back to me and let me know this was resolved, I was told I'd receive a letter in the mail. Chase goes to great lengths to assure its customers that their information is protected, but I'm not convinced. I wonder who else Chase is sending my information to?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Decided to open a Chase Freedom Unlimited cc, was automatically approved for a 7,600 limit. Sent me an email confirmation and how to set up auto payments and such. So I completed all of it, got card in mail, and when I called to activate it they said it is under review. Huh. 819 trans. so I asked what is the issue as they responded it was for my protection. So they call next day I answer and they say they need to verify a couple things. I said fine as the agent asked the questions. I answered basic information and she told me that she would get back to me in 24-48 hrs np. Called again next day same time need to verify information as I told them I did that yesterday but still had to answer the questions. "Under review," she said. I told her, "Never mind."

Getting off on the wrong foot is a bad sign for me however she assured me it was for my protection. So I have the cc already, can’t access my online account, 2 more same type of phone calls later, and I’m still waiting on them. And when I called asked to speak to the supervisor and he said that, "Someone will be calling you," I said, "They have 4 times. What is going on here?" His response was, "Someone will get back to you." So I’m still waiting but I decided at 11 am today I’m calling them to find out what they are doing and if I can’t resolve it then I’m going to tell them to pound their card up their **. Have a 33 yr old Discover Card with a 45,000 limit and a zero balance. WTF. Recommend to anyone not to apply to chase. I have not a single blemish on all 3 reports.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I collected my rewards points over a period of year and kept them safe only to use to book flight ticket as Chase encourages its customers to redeem the points for travel to get best of it. So I booked a ticket then I observed that I needed a change in the ticket so I called up the customer care and I was rightly suggested to cancel the ticket and rebook it instead of charging the existing one and I was also said that I would get full refund (as I was still under 24 hrs timeframe) within 15 to 30 minutes.

But to my surprise I did not receive the full refund and now I was in a situation where I had to rebook the ticket but I did not sufficient points. When I called the care I was asked to wait for 24 + 72 hours to get the remaining points. First question - how only partially refund happened? Secondly if I wait for 4 days then I may either lose the good deal ticket or the prices may go up. So this forced me to use my credit card instead of points where I lost the benefit of getting 25% extra on redeeming the points.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

The customer representative at Ultimate Rewards are rude and completely incompetent. I tried to make a flight change, it took them 1.5 hours to complete a simple change. When I did a similar change with the airline it took 10 min. WTF? Also, the customer reps at the transaction dispute department was also extremely rude and unhelpful. When a product I purchased was not delivered, the Chase representative refuse to dispute this transaction for me. Overall, extremely unpleasant!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My SLATE VISA credit card limit was $5000 and Chase Bank closed my account with a balance under $250. They claimed to have sent a letter to me detailing how they arrived at this decision but I never received the letter. In speaking with an associate they said that because I had issues with my mortgage company is what prompted them to close my account! After Hurricane Irma, I got behind on my mortgage and the mortgage company reported that I was 2-3 months late. So, I finally catch up on my mortgage around June or July and all is well. So in October, I attempted to use my card but the transaction kept declining. I called to find out why and that's when I found out that my account was closed. Absolutely, no account issues with Chase but they closed my account anyway and our relationship is forever done!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

This awful bank closed my account for no reason at all then held my money for a week and a half. I have fantastic credit and have never missed a payment in my life. They got a check from my work (I work for the government) and they were using the wrong website to register the check so they did not believe it was real. Instead of contacting me they CLOSED IT! Without any notification or warning. The check was later cleared as a good check but they closed my account anyways. When they sent me the money in the account they lost the tracking number and I did not have to sign for the package when it finally arrived a week and a half later!!! Anyone could’ve taken the package (my money). One of the worst experiences of my life. Very scary. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I applied for an offer for $200 off of hotel stay by opening a CC with Chase, but they gave me a completely different offer. Contacted Chase and they deny... Awful experience. I do not recommend... Back in September, I booked a room for 2 nights at Marriot. When booking the room, a Chase credit card offer came up to get $200 off for 1st stay, if I opened a CC with Chase and paid for the stay. CC has an annual fee of $95. After my stay, I called Chase and the offer was completely different for points, which are useless to me, as I do not stay in hotels when I travel. I did write a letter and again was turned down. Very disappointing, since I would have never opened a CC with an annual fee with point offers that are useless to me. Is there a consumer agency I could file a complaint? To me this was a bait and switch tactic that was used by the Chase and I would never deal with them again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I got the Chase Sapphire preferred in the end of September when they had an offer of 12 months 0% intro APR. I thought that's great since I wanted to pay off a big balance over time. I was at the screen that had that offer, I applied, and got approved. I was redirected to a window with the "you got approved" and an APR percent. I thought it was odd but I assumed it was the APR after the 0% intro APR ends. My boyfriend called Chase to verify and we were told if you got approved then you automatically get the offer. Ok November comes around and I get my statement balance with $60 something dollars of interest. It is now obvious I didn't get the promo. I have now talked to 5 people, supervisors and managers. All saying they can't do anything about it.

There was one manager that offered to not charge me the interest charged in the first month but I wanted to get the 0% APR so I waited to speak with someone higher, thinking hey it's not my mistake, it's theirs, they will fix it. Well they didn't. The last research manager I spoke to, Danielle **, says she couldn't even do that because they never said anything about not charging me the interest accumulated during that window and she supposedly listened to my phone calls with them. All these people are trying to say it's my fault. One said I didn't qualify because of the terms and conditions of the offer, which is not true. I have researched this. Another one said I didn't get it because I didn't apply through the link related to that offer, which I know I did.

I'm extremely cautious with anything related to my credit score. Another manager said that when you apply you can get any of the offers going on at the time so I just didn't get the one I wanted. It is unbelievable and deceitful what they are doing. I only applied to that card for the 0% intro APR. That affects my credit score and I'm being charged interest. This is not something I take lightly.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Well I applied for a Chase Credit Card on the 14th Nov 2018 and I was approved and was told I'll get my card in 3 days. I waited for the whole 3 days. I didn't get any. I call back on Monday to ask them about it and I was told I'll get it by Friday. Well up till now I've not gotten it yet and I'm pissed off right now because you lied.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I bought into using a Chase Marriott card and earned 81k points which my statement indicated was transferred to my Marriott Rewards Card. However I then closed the acct and without my knowledge Marriott at "their discretion" wiped out all the earned points, including bonus points. Neither Chase nor Marriott were willing to do ANYTHING about it. It amounted to a type of scam about "bonus Points". Very very opaque business practice.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

DO NOT obtain this credit card! Online access regularly fails with accurate (I write my user and passwords down) user and password information. Password reset link does not work. Customer service phone access has a greater than 30 min wait time. Every time my password fails and after waiting on hold for 30 minutes, the customer service representative apologizes for the link issue and regular password failure issue. Capital One is my preferred card now. I never, never have a problem logging in or reaching customer service.

Resolution response: Nov. 7, 2018

Chase responded and we resolved the issue.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have been a Chase customer since 2012. Never once during this 6 year period has Chase ever (EVER!) responded to any (ANY!) inquiry concerning my business cards. My accounts were paid in full each month, including the $450 fee for an elite card and an additional $150 for two authorized users, my adult kids. I experienced a billing error in June 2018, and immediately notified Chase through their Secure Messenger service. Chase acknowledged my dispute and stated they needed more time (a form reply).

After 5 months of politely reminding Chase of the unresolved matter without any substantive response (only acknowledgments — the same form letter). Yesterday I cancelled six (6) Chase credit cards, and received the same form reply. Not once did Chase attempt to help me, only form letter acknowledgments, hence the cancellation of 6 credit cards. I recommend not applying for Chase Business cards, even elite ones. Poor, poor customer service caused by Chase management not controlling tekkies, nor caring.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Our company has held Chase Business Cards for years. Today we discovered that Chase will not dispute an unauthorized charge on our behalf. Come to find out the merchant in dispute uses WePay, a Chase owned company, to collect money due on a bill, at the rate of 2.9% payable to Chase itself. This is a huge conflict of interest. We are a small contractor company. A subcontractor billed us and the bill was in dispute between ourselves and the subcontractor. The next thing we knew the bill was paid in full on our Chase card. When we called Chase they could not tell us who authorized a payment and told us to take it up with the merchant. At no time were we notified that the bill collector in fact was Chase itself.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have been a cardholder of Chase Slate since 1994. I have always paid my bill and in fact had a zero balance for quite some time. I get a letter stating that they plan to close the account if I do not use the card. I make a purchase and had a pending hotel purchase on the card which was approved and a few days later they close the card. Now, I was planning to pay for a hotel for my vacation that is scheduled to take place within 7 days and I am not now able to pay for my hotel with the card due to its newly defined closed status by Chase Slate. I thought I was a valued customer since I had an active account with them for over 24 years. I primarily used the card for emergency purpose only and thought that this was a reliable company. In fact, Chase was the only credit card that I ever had. Do not get a Chase Slate credit card!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I have three "excellent" credit scores. I have three credit cards, one I've had for twenty years. I never carry balances. I never come near maxing them out. My home and car are paid off. The Chase letter cited one of my credit scores (Equifax, 822) as a reason I was turned down, and gave me advice on how to improve it. On the phone, somebody named Natalie told me it was a problem that my home was paid off and I have no ongoing loan payments. She told me one of my accounts had a balance. I explained to her that all of my accounts have balances until I zero them out once a month. She had no other answers about the content of the letter, and finally hung up on me, though I was consistently polite.

I called again and somebody named "Sara" told me I didn't have enough credit cards. I explained to her that too many cards can adversely affect credit score. Regarding the false statement about “too many accounts with balances,” she tried to refer me to Equifax. I asked her if I should apply for a bunch of cards I don’t need, take out a loan I don’t need, and start making payments on all of them. She told me to consult a financial advisor. I gave up. Who in their right mind would do business with these people?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I've been using this card for 2 years. The card itself is pretty good for cashback offers and points redemption. However, I've discover a HUGE downfall in this benefits program. Chase claims that this card insure your delayed luggage up to $100 a day for up to 7 days. And based on my personal experience this is a deception. My luggage was delayed by airline for 5 days. I've provided all the proofs of it, but the process of proving me right took about 2 months and they basically old me that I'm not eligible for ANY compensation. Be mindful, that not ALL benefits which this card provides are completely true. There are a few similar cards on the market which customer service is not a joke.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I went to the bank to deposit a check that was sent to my husband who died this year. In the past, I was told by the bank that I would have to provide documents from the court that would allow me to deposit checks written to him. This I did and presented them to a banker. The banker deposited several checks in my account. The other day I went to the bank to deposit another check written to my husband and fell into the hands of K. ** --- Her help consisted of telling me it couldn't be done to finding that it could be done but accusing me of forgery because she found a check that had been signed by me with my husbands' name and my name.

My husband and I before his death had a joint account at this same bank, She refused to speak with the other banker who had originally handled the matter for me. I told her that this situation would no doubt occur again and if they wouldn't help me then I would have to close my account. She replied, "I can do that right now", in a very dismissive manner. I told her that I would appreciate it if she did not speak to me in such a condescending manner. I took one of her cards and told her that I knew how to close my account, and left the bank. I drove less than a mile away to my other bank and the check was deposited in a few minutes without any hassle. I am an 80-year-old widow who has been a customer of this bank when it was called NBD, that is over 50 years a customer and to be treated in such a nasty and demeaning way was unbelievable.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Just called Disney Chase inquiring why my account has been closed. I made a large purchase, on a very small balance, and they closed it because I used 90% of my available credit. Isn't that what the card is for, emergencies?? I pay more than the minimum every month and intend on paying this account in full by the end of October. I always refuse the increase in my available credit by the bank, I don't need it. The recent purchase was not unreasonable. Is it unreasonable to expect a credit card company that I have be with from its conception, to be loyal to its longtime customers? So now an inquiry will need to be made, it's not worth it! I'll continue with my one other credit card, Goodbye Disney!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I wanted to get more 'bang for my buck' at Amazon so I signed up for the Chase Prime card. I was approved and have a $4900 limit. Issue #1: They have my name misspelled on the web account but correct on the card. So I ask to have my last name corrected. Their response: "Sorry, I can't do that. You need to go to a Chase brick and mortar." NOPE! Issue #2: I wanted to get a credit limit increase to $10,000. I have a credit rating of 829. They wanted to do a HARD PULL of my credit which impacts your score (and not a soft pull which does not affect the score). NOPE! I'll keep the card, pay it off monthly ONLY to take advantage of Amazon's Prime point back. If it wasn't for Amazon I'd cancel this card right NOW. Incompetent buffoons!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I requested to transfer 210,000 Chase points to Korean Airline on August 24, 2018. That day was the last day to transfer points from Chase to Korean AirLine. Korean AirLine is one of a few airlines which has "Round the World Bonus" program. It requires 140,000 points. Chase only transferred 1000 point instead of 210,000. That destroyed my dream to travel the world. When I confirmed that the request was done properly on August 30, Chase said everything was done correctly, and wait for 7 business days.

After 7 business days, they said 1000 points was transferred instead of 210,000 points on September 6. I begged them to do something about their mistake. They said "Chase will send a letter within 7 business days." The letter said they transferred 1000 point on August 24 and cannot transfer additional points. 1000 points does do anything for me. That was the reason I requested to transfer 210,000 point. They made a big mistake and did not do anything for that. I think everybody has to know that and prepare for that.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Here is my exp: the priority pass is a terrible thing which they have a tie up with. Don't get into this unless you read its reviews. The only good thing supposedly is 3 points on travel? and $300 travel credit but they charge $450 for that. I personally couldn't get admission into any lounges using priority pass and then I read it on internet hundreds of people complaining about it. I have BofA platinum plus rewards and I still bought this for lounge access at airports, but it's terrible.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I made a donation of $70 online to a charity organization and was sent a receipt $14,000.00 for the donation. I immediately contacted Chase and reported the issue. Chase advised me to wait until the bill is posted and then dispute it. Few days later the bill posted and I contacted them, guess what they said they can’t do anything about it and that I should contact the charity organization. A couple of weeks later Chase sent me a letter that the issue is resolved and I was billed $14,000.00 to pay.

I checked on the charity organization website and found that they don’t refund any donation. I finally found someone and spoke, he promised to help me out and after 2 weeks of multiple phone communications, the money was refunded back to my Chase account. What a relief!!! From talking to co-workers, I learnt they always side with merchant in dispute and if your card is stolen and used, they make you responsible. No more using Chase credit or debit card for me and I have advised my family and friends to stay away from Chase.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I have had this card only 2 months and I have had an issue with 90% of my intended purchases. My purchases are declined almost every time, and when I check, I have ample credit available. At first I thought it was Amazon, but a purchase I tried to make this evening was again declined. I went to the Chase website and it stated I had zero available credit despite the fact that I had paid the card off last week and only had $40 in a pending purchase.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

"I WOULD REQUEST NOT TO GO FOR ANY OF THIS COMPANY'S CREDIT CARD EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE BEST BENEFITS AND REWARDS." I applied in the month of July. They said they want my state ID and SSN to be mailed to them. I send my application again. Called them. They say that my application is no longer active and have to reapply. Ok reapplied, sent the documents and then they say documents are not clear! I send them an email of my document which again took them 2 weeks to process. Now it's September 10, 2018, I still have not received credit card and my application is still in process. While the representatives to whom I was talking were really BAD and never understood anything and sometimes were rude too. "I would request not to go for any of this company's credit card even though they have the best benefits and rewards."

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Fraudulent charges appeared on my credit card for internet purchase. After removing charges initially they were reapplied. I could not prove I had not made the purchase so I had to pay for 2 basketball tickets from Stub Hub. I canceled my card.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Ever since I opened an account with Chase it has been a hassle making transactions. They have held credit and frozen my account several times claiming "fraud alert" but the one time I dispute a charge they decide to side with the merchant even though I had proof that the merchant made two charges for 1 product that I purchased. Beware if they transfer you to Amit **, he is incompetent and does not use common sense. After a couple months of playing tag on the phone he denied my dispute so I have to pay for the money they stole from me, so I'm closing my account and will tell anyone I can to not use Chase and their credit cards. They are not here for the consumer, they do not care.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I first called about a charge that shouldn't be on my account for $114.00. At first they acted very nice and told me not to worry about the charge, it will not reflect on my account. Then they send me a letter saying: We've blocked this charge from the merchant... and then it says "you shouldn't see this charge on your account in the future". First I'm told that this wont reflect on my account, and now I "shouldn't" see this charge on my account in the future. They say one thing on the phone, then they tell you about future charges in a letter.

Anyway... I went to my online account, and sure enough the charge was added to me total. So I went to dispute the charge again and get (sorry) another foreigner (and not Philippine) who has an attitude when talking to me... not polite at all. I think as soon as I get the card paid off (couple months) I will say adios to my Amazon Chase card. Stay with Capital One Credit Card... They treat you right, talk to you like you're a human being, and they take care of the problem. They actually go above and beyond. Without even asking, they set me up with notifications of any charge made to me card. I Love Capital One!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Chase is NOT a good credit card company if you have an emergency - I took my son college and flew home. I maxed out my Chase card on the trip. I reserved a car to drive home but when I went to pick up the car they wouldn’t give it to me because all I had was a debit even though the reservation was made with a debit card. Called Chase to give me temporary emergency increase but they wouldn’t do it without a hard credit check. Do NOT get a Chase card.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

7/26/2018 I opened a dispute with Chase. Case #: ** Between 7/26/2018 and 8/16/2018 - Marginal ** from Chase and I played phone tags. We left at least 5 voicemails for each other. She was looking for information. We were able to speak only twice and I provided information she needed. Once when I called, I didn't have credit card on me so I couldn't verify the CC#. As a result she didn't provide any service that day. 8/16/2018 - I called to report that I've misplaced my CC and also discuss this dispute with someone. Miguel was the new specialist that "tried" to help me.

Summary of our conversation on 8/16/2018: After providing all the information he asked for, he put me on hold to try to get hold of the resume service provider (The Job Sauce), they didn't answer. He came back on line and asked me to call him "EVERY HOUR" so he can try to get a hold of the service provider. I asked why he can't call and talk to them without having me on the phone, he said call volumes are so high and Chase can't do that. And since service has been rendered, they can't just refund me. I argued that service I received isn't a service I was promised and I'm not satisfied... He kept repeating himself. Absolutely no customer protection like AMEX offers. No resolution offered to the problem on hand. Customer service is at the lowest level possible. Bottom line, stay away from this CC provider.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I'm a longtime client of Chase. I am very frustrated! Every time I make a purchase from one of my merchant suppliers, using either my debit, business debit, or my credit card, I have to call the Chase Fraud Prevention phone number and go through the hassle of verifying my identity and attempting to run and rerun the charge for the purchase. It wastes hours. Instead of a quick click and done, I am clicking, waiting, calling... And then having to try to do the purchase again. This from a merchant I order from twice a week on average. Seriously?!?!

Chase expert review by Beverly Harzog

Chase is the U.S. consumer and commercial banking subsidiary of  J.P. Morgan, which is a leading global financial services firm with assets worth $2.6 trillion. Chase has more than 5,300 branches and 15,500 ATMs. Cardholders can also bank online via mobile phones. The Chase brand is used for credit cards.

• No-transfer-fee balance transfer card: The Chase Slate card is one of the few cards on the market that waives this fee. But the fee is only waived for consumers who transfer their balances within the first 60 days of opening an account. After 60 days has passed, the fee is 3 percent. There’s also no annual fee on this card.

• Sign-up bonuses: Chase credit cards often have generous sign-up bonuses, but there’s usually a spending requirement to meet within a certain amount of time, which is usually around three months.

• Rewards: Chase offers a variety of rewards on many cards, including cash-back cards on everyday expenses, such as groceries and gas, travel rewards points, airline miles and more. Some cards offer extra points or cash back in specific categories. Each card has its own rules for rewards (for example, spending caps on bonus categories) so be sure you read the credit card agreement and the rewards program details very carefully. Also look at the redemption options to determine if the card is a good fit.

• Ink-brand business credit cards: Chase’s Ink-brand business cards are popular and offer a variety of rewards for small business owners.

• Excellent benefits and cost-saving features: A few Chase cards waive foreign transaction fees and some baggage fees. On some cards, you’ll find anniversary bonuses, airport lounge passes or memberships, 24/7 concierge services, 1:1 point transfer to popular frequent travel programs and more. Keep in mind that great perks usually come with annual fees. Chase also offers customers the opportunity to view their FICO scores online.

• Reputation: Chase is the number one credit card issuer in the United States based on loans outstanding. Also, Chase is number two in mortgages. For three years in a row, Chase has been the number one Small Business Association lender to women-and-minority-owned small businesses.

• Best for: Small business owners and those who have good-to-excellent credit. Those who have credit card debt, but still have good credit, could be helped by the Chase Slate balance transfer card.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Chase Credit Cards Company Information