Chase Credit Cards
  • 1 star
Based on 119 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Chase Credit Cards

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 16, 2017

4835 Chase Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I thought Chase Bank would be a good fit for me. Boy was I wrong. I have had problems with them from the beginning. In the last 9 months I have not received my bill at least three times. No biggie right. Except that once you miss your payment date by just one day they turn your card off, charge you $37 and report this to credit agencies which reflects in your credit score.

If this had only happened once I don’t think I’d mind as much. This third time was the final straw. When someone has a credit score of 780 you just don’t do that kind of business. I immediately contact Barclays Bank and transferred my balance at 0% interest for 15 months! Fantastic deal from them since I’ve been a loyal cardholder for 11 years with, imagine, NO late payments.

They were more than happy to help me with this issue. No more Chase for me. I would not recommend this bank to anyone. They will try their hardest to ruin a person's credit. I just don’t understand how banks can treat their cardholders in this manner and stay in business. As for me, I will NEVER do business with them again and would encourage anyone who asked to stay away from Chase Bank. I can’t imagine they treat their account holders any different from their credit card holders. KEEP YOUR MONEY AND STAY AWAY FROM CHASE!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I’ve had several credit cards in my life and this is the only one that’s caused me so many problems. I had fraud attacks on my account, called to let them know and to completely close the account. I specifically stated I did not want another account opened. Several times. Yet they went ahead and opened another account and I’m still 4 months later receiving billing statements. I cannot believe that they would open an account without my authorization. I am completely furious and no one listens to me when I try to explain so that only angers me more. I would NEVER EVER recommend this company to anyone. In fact I’ve already steered a lot of my business people away thankfully. What a disaster of a company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Here is my experience with them. Back in Jan of this year I was looking into getting a lower interest rate credit card. So I did some research online and found a Chase Freedom Card. So instead of entering my information online I called into the helpline. I went through all of the information with the representative. I was very thorough because I didn't want to get into something that was not right for me. My biggest thing was that I didn't want any balance transfer fees that most cards said that they had. If I asked him once I asked him 10 times, "There are no balance transfer fee correct," he responded every time, "that there were no balance transfer fees". So I had him process the application. After he processed the application and got my information on the balance transfer he went through all of the terms and conditions of the balance transfer.

As he was going through the terms and conditions I heard him say that there was a "fee for this balance transfer". I immediately stopped him to question. He then stated that there was a balance transfer fee after he already had everything set up. I was over the top mad! I told him to cancel everything that I didn't want the card! He assured me that the card would be canceled. I assumed at this point that it would be done. Well I was wrong. In March I received a phone call that I have a payment due on my Chase card. I responded with, "I don't have a Chase card" and they sent me over to the fraud department. After that lengthy process and countless phone calls we determined that he never canceled the card and did in-fact transfer the money. I am still trying to get this figured out. As I said at the top do not even consider them for a credit card, there is a lot of cards out there find a good one!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I wrote a Cash Advance Chase Check for $500 and deposited in my bank account. Chase denied payment of the check but charged my credit card for the $500. I have been trying for 4 months to get them to correct the error and they refuse to take responsibility for it. I would advise anyone never to use their cash advance checks. I am not sure it is not a scam. I am still trying to get them to take the erroneous charge off my account.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

What a Joke they have become. I have been a Chase customer (credit cards, saving, checking, car loan) for over 7 years now. I got mail promoting their new credit card and I applied. They sent me a letter needing verification of my identity, given that I applied with all existing information and I am already in the system. I fax them the documents they requested. 3 weeks and I do not hear back. I call back and they claim they cannot read my driver's license. I sent it again, then they claim my address is not correct. It has been 6 weeks, I have a "hard" hit on my credit score and I am not hearing back from them. This is a joke. I am a customer, they have my info, they know my address and it is becoming overly annoying and unprofessional. I get the double check for security, but when I have been using the same address for YEARS and all my info is the same and has never changed, why the whole "we do not believe your address" crap.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

Very upset with Chase!!! I'm very careful to read all the fine print before signing up for a credit card. I have an excel sheet that tracks all of my credit cards and their credit limits, their annual fees, their benefits and the number of points I've earned. I'm not just some schmo who wants his $95 back. I am certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was promised a $0 fee for the first year of their Mileage Plus Explorer card. I'm happy to pay the yearly fee of $95 upon the second year, as I agree to when I signed up.

Of course the best part is that in order to resolve this issue Chase wants me to do two things. 1. Prove that I was baited and switched? Well, that's tough when all I did was follow the prompts on the site and then I was delivered something different in the mail. 2. Hilariously, the only way I can start a dispute is to FAX THEM! Yes! Fax! What year is it? Very angry. I recommended this card to many people because of the great benefits of using it with United. I will be letting those friends know that they should not sign up.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I purchased a dress through Sears.com the second week in August 2017. The dress did not fit according to the vendor's chart. The paperwork stated I could return the item within 30 days for a full refund. I tried several times before the 30 days to get a return authorization. I was instructed to contact Sears and they would contact the third party vendor for the return authorization. Each time I contacted Sears, all CSR's told me, they had to allow 24 hours for the vendor to respond. After four attempts of the above situation, I called Chase Credit Card Services and disputed the charge. I sent them all documentation of conversations between myself and Sears.

The third party vendor never responded to Sears, Sears would not take the dress back for a refund. I am stuck in the middle of this three ring circus. Chase dispute CSR told me I have to pay for the dress because I never returned it and it was past the 30 days. DUHHH, I'm the one that gets screwed. He went on to tell me that they always go in favor of the vendor. Really??? I am sure the vendor is in China and this is how me as a consumer in the US gets screwed. I truly feel this was not my fault and Chase should refund my money. They have more than enough information showing my attempts to return the item, but yet side with the vendor who would not authorize the return.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I’ve been a Chase customer for a decade and have consistently paid my balance on time. Without my being aware of it, Chase changed their system of sending me paper statements and instead started sending statements by email, which were going directly to my junk mail where I didn’t see them. When I realized I hadn’t seen a statement in a few months, I checked online and saw that I had a small balance remaining on the account, so I immediately paid it off online. I then called Chase customer service to let them know I hadn’t been receiving the email statements and to request that I receive paper statements to avoid confusion in the future.

During the call I then became aware that Chase had cancelled my account for late payment! I asked to speak to a supervisor who was incredibly rude and hostile. As a 10-year customer who has consistently paid her statements over the years, I am speechless about the way I’ve been treated by Chase. They have lost a loyal and long term customer.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I called to cancel my mother's debit card because it was compromised. Instead, Chase cancels my own debit card while hers remained active. Customer service is horrible and has caused more stress for myself and for my elderly mother.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

Trying to sign up for a Marriott Rewards credit card. I rate no stars with trying to obtain a credit card. I have been online - thought I was about there when told I had not entered birth date - numbers only. I have also dealt with 3 800 numbers - always asked for card number I can’t seem to obtain.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

November 14, 2017: I have an excellent credit rating; my credit scores are however locked. I have three Chase credit cards: Amazon Prime, United Mileage Plus, and SW Rewards. An order on Amazon would not go thru because payment was declined. I called Chase. They said I failed to submit paperwork they sent me on time. I told the rep that I received the paperwork, which asked for a great deal of sensitive information, and decided to take it to Chase bank. The bank rep said he did not recognize it and advised me to ignore it. Did. Kept using credit cards (I pay off all balances on time each month). When I called about the payment denial, was told all accounts closed because I had not submitted paperwork! I filed a complaint with CFPB asking for my annual fees to be refunded to me. I also complained to Amazon, United, and Southwest. File a complaint! It still works.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I applied for 2 different Chase cards. Got immediate approval with high limits on both cards. Have made double payments on both cards since the start. I have a high balance on another card, they isn’t a chase Card. Chase closed both of my accounts due to high balance on Amex. Poor explanations and terrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

Phony invoices submitted by merchant and they paid him and refuse to credit me for the amount. They want thousands of dollars in bogus invoices because he does a lot of business with them on the Visa. I refuse to pay for services I never received. Customer service reps are all from Nigeria and I have spoken with and faxed the real invoice many times and they cannot speak English or understand.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I haven't had any problems with customer service for the last couple of years until today. I made 2 payments which were returned for no funds in my account. My fault for that, but I made a 3rd payment and received an email the next day stating that my payment posted. Then a few days later I received an email from Chase saying they had not received a payment. So I contacted chase and emailed proof from my bank showing that they took the payment out of my account and that the 3rd payment made was NOT RETURNED.

The customer service representative keep telling me only about the previous payments that were returned and wouldn't answer any questions I asked him about the payment made October 10th. Then I was told I couldn't use my bank account for online payments after the payments were returned. He said I received a letter stating this, but I never received anything in the mail. After telling him this he just kept saying I needed to send in another payment. Which I refuse to do, since I had already paid and had proof that I paid. Needless to say customer service was no help at all. I think that they're trying to scam people to get more money out of people. I'm done with chase credit cards.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Chase card used to have great service few years back. However, it is definitely degrading fast over these two years. Examples, 1. Simple dispute takes forever and often can't be resolved. Unlike Citi credit card. 2. My account is for no reason locked up recently. I spent almost half an hour on their toll free number to have it unlock.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Applied for the card, used it a couple of times, Put the card away, NEVER received a bill (not online or hard copy). Received nothing, then card filed with credit company for non-payment. Brand new card, was not even aware a bill was due. Ruined my very high credit rating. Then got the worst customer service. Still have not received a bill, in any form. How can anyone pay a bill if you do not know where to send payment or do not know how much payment. Rudest people ever. 2 month card, cost me between 40 & 60 points on my credit rating. Do not get this card. Worst experience.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I paid this card in full and they punished me and charged an RIDICULOUS interest charge and called it dual interest - basically they're ripping people off - CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!! I called asked for a payoff - confirmed this would pay my account IN FULL – “Oh yes ma'am it will”, 15 days later I get a bill for what they call "dual interest". Tried to talk to a manager, waste of time! Closed my account IMMEDIATELY - NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I had a Chase credit card for several years. Apparently, there was a charge of $12 which was unknown to me. Chase did not notify me. Cancelled the card, and stole around $800 worth of mileage. When called Chase rep was extremely rude, offered no assistance.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I work in retail and have noticed that Chase Credit Cards are TOO Thick for the credit card terminals. Now since all cards are now forced with EMV chips. Inserting these thick cards into the credit card terminals are spreading the contacts farther apart from another, causing chip malfunctions to occur with thinner cards. I thought there was a standard thickness that everyone had to follow. I guess not. I would never recommend Chase Credit Cards until they fix the thickness of the credit card. This reminds me back to the days of the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo System.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Chase Freedom Unlimited I opened an account on Sept 4, applied to do a balance transfer from another credit card to Chase card. They said it would take 21 to 30 days to process then they would let me know if it would go through. I tried to log in today September 9th, found out my account had been frozen for a review. Have not even use the card yet. Called to cancel the card because I've been on hold for 3 hours trying to speak to someone. They refuse to cancel my card and my account customer service is terrible. Senior customer service are terrible. There is something not right with this account. Chase has problems, real problems. Hopefully this doesn't affect my credit. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

4 times in 72 hours my card was declined at different services. $0 balance as I pay it off completely every month. Customer service says they show nothing of any decline. I'd suggest that Chase get better software to better serve their customers. I have very little confidence in this card now. It was my primary business card but will be no longer.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Had my Chase Slate Visa for 7 months. Credit limit $4000. Have charges of $1400. Have made monthly payments on time during this 7 month period. Went to make a purchase of $101 dollars at Home Depot this past Saturday and my card was declined. Called customer service immediately and was told my account was closed and that I would receive a letter explaining why. They also gave me a number to call which turned out that they only answer M-F. Called that number on Monday and was told they did a review and decided that I had too many new accounts? Gentleman on the phone was curt and rude.

To close the account without same day notification and to receive a letter after the fact I find to callous and insensitive never mind embarrassing to me as I stood at checkout. Also now a closed account goes on my credit history when all I did was pay my monthly statement on time (never the minimum payment. I will recommend to everyone I know to stay away from Chase. Also I know there is fair lending practices stated in their original letters when I got the card. I wonder because my address is in a minority community in Boston MA that I am being profiled. Thumbs down on Chase credit card services.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I contracted with AZ Air and Heat through Costco to put in ductless air and heat and take out the floor heater in a home. AZ could not finish the job and I was not able to be back in the area for a few weeks. They tried to charge the entire $15000 to Chase and Chase called me to confirm. I told them the charge was not to go through and that I would call them when the job was complete. On the second pass, AZ "forgot" that they had to take out the floor heater and replace wallboard flush to the wall and plywood flush with the hardwood floor. They then tried again to charge the entire amount and Chase paid it. Then I had to call to try to remedy the situation so that the payment was not processed until this job was complete. I spent over an hour with various reps to try to remedy the situation.

Chase Customer service said they couldn't help, and put me through to the disputes department. The disputes department looked up my talks with Chase in which I told them NOT TO MAKE THIS PAYMENT until I called to tell them that the job was complete. There was NO NOTE BY THE PEOPLE I TALKED TO STATING THAT THIS WAS NOT TO BE PAID UNTIL I CALLED letting Chase know that the job was actually complete. AZ's business department seemed to not even be aware of whether jobs were complete, they just charged. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Michael then told me the same line. It seems Chase cannot send an email immediately to a customer so the customer can then view a letter or notice in their account file. I was told this was because of security issues and they haven't been hacked.

BUT... all of my account numbers are in my online file, all of my charges, all of my statements, BUT... they can't put information useful and helpful to the customer there. I asked for a call back from quality control or fraud prevention and Michael says "no one is gonna give me a call". He says Chase is also not set up to provide the customer with help or assistance caused by their INABILITY TO SERVE THE CUSTOMER, or TO APOLOGIZE FOR CAUSING THE CUSTOMER INCONVENIENCE. They weren't willing to do anything except submit the account into dispute. Hours wasted, and I was told clearly that they don't care to help and don't care to modernize their system. I have 3 credit cards with Chase. That is changing soon.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We had been customers for over ten years. Recently, a restaurant charged our credit card twice. We filed a dispute. The amount was credited back to our account, so we closed the dispute. Apparently, this was the wrong thing to do. Chase charged our account again. We called to get it corrected, and they would not correct the problem. They said we would need to go through with a written form of dispute and send it in for review. We did nothing wrong. Spent way too much time trying to get the problem fixed and their customer service was horrible. They do not care about their customers. We closed the account.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Opened a credit card with Chase a few months ago for the sign up bonus. Had to call in and speak with a professional but not very friendly representative to be approved, and once approved got a laughably low limit. Applied for another credit card at the same time and was approved online instantly with a limit five times that of Chase. I used the Chase card to get the sign up bonus, but was constantly having to make payments on it mid-cycle to keep utilization low and not hit my limit. The app is very glitchy. No search function available, and will often stall out trying to load and I'll have to close the app and then restart. Really annoying, especially compared to my main bank. It crashed once when I was trying to make a payment and had to wait a few days just to make sure it didn't go through and double charge me.

Nonetheless decided to try and open a joint savings account with Chase as I already had a banking relationship with them via the credit card. Applied online where I was informed I could apply only for an individual account and joint accounts could only be processed at a physical location. Annoying, but I decided I'd just add my spouse after the account was opened. They also asked some fairly prying questions about assets and liabilities, which I found a bit strange for a savings account. They had to verify the external bank account I was making the initial deposit from via two small deposits they then withdraw from the account. Standard procedure for this. I was supposed to go to their website and verify the small deposit amounts and then they're withdraw my initial deposit into the savings account... except their website kept glitching.

First of all the website layout is terrible. Even in the first message they sent me they told me to just search for keywords to even bring up the part of the site where I'd be able to verify my external account. Maybe it'd be nice to have an easier way to verify the account. When I finally found the section to verify I tried to do so only to have it pop up saying that part of the website wasn't working. I thought they may have been updating the website or needed more time to process the verification deposits on their end so waited a few days and tried again. Nope. Still didn't work. Even got another message from them saying I still needed to verify the external account. Thanks, I'm trying to. Throughout this process I forgot my password and had to update it. Their password process is excessive.

I understand it's for your finances so you want a secure password, but they go so far as to blacklist your last five passwords so you won't repeat them. Really annoying. I got fed up and just opened a savings account with American Express instead. Was able to apply online for a joint savings account, no prying questions about my finances beyond those required by law and to verify my identity, and the interest rate is well above what Chase was offering. And to verify my account for the initial deposit? A Big Red Button on the home page.

Sorry Chase, but you need to step it up. Poor website and app, and your services really aren't as hot as you think they are. Two stars for the pretty awesome credit card sign up bonus, but I'll be canceling my card before your annual fee hits, and I have no intention of verifying my account for the initial savings deposit even if your website will ever let me. We had a nice little fling but it's time for me to move onto someone a little more serious.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I called to see why I got a text message telling me my bill was past due. I hadn't used it in over a year and the card was cut up. They never sent me a bill telling me I had to pay an annual fee. Apparently they sent it on Aug 18 and they only give you 30 days to refund. I was 2 days late. I closed the account (which means my credit is going to take a hit because of that). Mark tells me I still owe the $69 annual fee even though I closed my account and hadn't used the card in over a year. I told him I wasn't going to pay something that I am not using. He said that was fine that it would just have late charges on it. Use your brain Chase... I realize this would be acceptable if I had a balance or even was remotely using it in the last year. This is the worst service I have ever had in any industry and I will tell EVERYONE not to use their services unless they want to be crapped on.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Had to cancel our trip due to back surgery and Doc's orders on traveling. Never had such an unpleasant experience dealing with an adjuster. Chase would not let you talk with and, for that matter, they could never get her on the phone. Did finally receive a check for airline ticket covered costs but they refused to include all other hotel costs associated with my claim. I am getting a BOA card, zero fee and many of same benefits. I will never trust Chase Travel Card again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I phoned Chase today based on information from Credit Karma regarding the credit card that I had for over 16 years was cancelled due to nonpayment for the past three months. I did not receive notification of this action either by regular mail or e-mail. The first level person I spoke to was unable to provide any real information regarding my account, I understand, most are simply reading from a screen.

When I requested to speak to a supervisor she provided the same information as did the first person who answered the phone. I expected her to be able to provide more in-depth information; especially when I explained that the information provided to Credit Karma was not the same. The supervisor placed the burden on me, the consumer, and offered to transfer me to the credit department. The only reason I had two Chase cards was that they purchased the company from my original card. There were other issues regarding their service and inability to provide correct, complete information. My recommendation would be to choose another card.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I have my statement emailed me and then it is also online. The two statements were different. The one they emailed me said all transactions posted on the 8/23 while the one they were using said transaction weren't posted till 8/26. I paid off my bill on 8/26 and then they readded those transactions saying they weren't posted again until a later date. I have paid off the same $110 3 times this months. They literally told me to stop paying my bill to make it right (because they have never collected interest off me). DO NOT USE CHASE. THEY WILL CHEAT THEIR WAY IN EXTRA MONEY IF YOU ARE NOT LETTING THEM HAVE INTEREST FROM YOU.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Chase applied a block to my account based on suspected fraud. This is a great move to protect credit card from loses. However, no attempts had been made to verify suspected (but valid) transaction with me. I called Chase to inquire why I wasn't contacted which is common practice with all other credit cards I own. I was informed that I need to set-up an alert on my account for Chase to contact me in case of fraud. (Note: I never had to do it in any other card). Since I could not see an option to be selected specifically for fraud, I asked to be guided to the proper place. One hour and 20 minutes later, after being transferred 5 times, every time validating my identity, I gave up. Not a single person was able to see the same screen I was presented or had any idea where to go. This is terrible way to treat a customer.

Chase expert review by Beverly Harzog

Chase is the U.S. consumer and commercial banking subsidiary of  J.P. Morgan, which is a leading global financial services firm with assets worth $2.6 trillion. Chase has more than 5,300 branches and 15,500 ATMs. Cardholders can also bank online via mobile phones. The Chase brand is used for credit cards.

• No-transfer-fee balance transfer card: The Chase Slate card is one of the few cards on the market that waives this fee. But the fee is only waived for consumers who transfer their balances within the first 60 days of opening an account. After 60 days has passed, the fee is 3 percent. There’s also no annual fee on this card.

• Sign-up bonuses: Chase credit cards often have generous sign-up bonuses, but there’s usually a spending requirement to meet within a certain amount of time, which is usually around three months.

• Rewards: Chase offers a variety of rewards on many cards, including cash-back cards on everyday expenses, such as groceries and gas, travel rewards points, airline miles and more. Some cards offer extra points or cash back in specific categories. Each card has its own rules for rewards (for example, spending caps on bonus categories) so be sure you read the credit card agreement and the rewards program details very carefully. Also look at the redemption options to determine if the card is a good fit.

• Ink-brand business credit cards: Chase’s Ink-brand business cards are popular and offer a variety of rewards for small business owners.

• Excellent benefits and cost-saving features: A few Chase cards waive foreign transaction fees and some baggage fees. On some cards, you’ll find anniversary bonuses, airport lounge passes or memberships, 24/7 concierge services, 1:1 point transfer to popular frequent travel programs and more. Keep in mind that great perks usually come with annual fees. Chase also offers customers the opportunity to view their FICO scores online.

• Reputation: Chase is the number one credit card issuer in the United States based on loans outstanding. Also, Chase is number two in mortgages. For three years in a row, Chase has been the number one Small Business Association lender to women-and-minority-owned small businesses.

• Best for: Small business owners and those who have good-to-excellent credit. Those who have credit card debt, but still have good credit, could be helped by the Chase Slate balance transfer card.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Chase Credit Cards Company Information