Find the Best Card

Learn More
Chase Credit Cards
1.05/5

Chase Credit Cards

Chase has credit cards that can help you earn points on the things you love most, including travel. Read reviews for Chase Sapphire Preferred to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

4931 Chase Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Chase Sapphire Reserve billing sucks and the people are rude. I'm canceling my card, and moving my mortgage away from Chase asap. The bank has gone to the toilet. If you make your payment 1 day late, your billing becomes very confusing and they start charging interest immediately. Junk! Going back to AMEX.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had a charge for which no services were received. The merchant was untruthful. Chase provided no help. They said that I had to make the payment. I contested it and provided details of how the merchant was untruthful. I called to cancel and was told by the merchant that I was paid up and would receive no more bills. Yet I did. When I contacted the merchant they claimed that they did not close the account as I had been assured. By now I had closed the credit card account. Chase started billing me late fees. So finally I gave up and paid for services not received just to end this matter. Chase did at least waive the late fee. It would have been nice to see Chase come to the aid of a customer regarding this unscrupulous fraudulent merchant but they did not.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

My family and I went to FL and rented a car through Enterprise. 2 adults 2 children. Stayed for 4 days. Barely drove the car since we were 5 minutes away from our destinations (Funeral, wake). Returned the car to Enterprise in perfect condition. 1st we get a letter from rental car company asking for our auto insurance info - no reason why. I called, left a message, no return call. 3 weeks later we get pictures of the rental car we “returned“. Omg it looked like it was sideswiped by an 18 wheeler! Whole family was in shock.

Immediately called Chase to dispute - rental company had charged our Chase card $1000! They denied dispute. I had it reopened 3x because I had all the proof that car was not ours and we were being scammed. Chase did nothing. Best is, I figured I’d use all my airline miles before I closed the card. Booked with a rep in travel. He spelled my husband's middle name wrong. He could not get on the plane with the misspelling. I called to have it corrected - was told someone would contact me in 24 hours. No call. I called again, same answer 24 hours. No call! Just called a 3rd time. After an hour they finally corrected it. Bye Chase!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Their fraud department is horrendous. Last year my identity was stolen. My Disney Chase VISA card was compromised. Visa actually sent me a text alert because I bought gas around the same time the person was using my card across town at another gas station/Walmart/various malls. I spoke to their rep as soon as I saw the alert and the charges were removed.

Well, despite me having an open case with the FTC, the local law enforcement department, the postal service (there was a mail forward placed on the account - an issue I called VISA about a month after the initial fraud with them), they have held me liable for the charges. They added them back onto my account three months later, saying a chip reader had to have been used. They made no effort to obtain video from the stores. It was a very lazy investigation.

I called as soon as the charges were put back on my account (a Tuesday), and I was told a supervisor would be getting back to me on Friday. That did not happen. I have complained to the FTC and am in the process of retaining counsel. Identity theft is a common problem and it is a difficult crime to prosecute. Do not give this company your money. I will be closing this account as soon as this issue is resolved.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I only have a bad experience with Chase credit card. First they changed automatically my minimum pay, secondly they charge absurdly 45,00 or more for interest fee, when I'm not even using the card for the last 2 month. But I'm reporting to FCC and also fighting back with Legal Aid! I'm very frustrated, as l called several times and they just don't care!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

We decided to turn on autopay for Chase last month and set the payment to minimum payment. The month comes around and Chase decides to withdraw the entire statement balance from our checking. We thought, wow, what's the point in setting this if Chase will not honor the setting. We call customer service and they are pretty helpful and agreed to not charge any late fees, but I would need to call my bank to tell them to do a stop payment as my account is severely overdrawn. I request that Chase look into this bug in the payment screen setup and proceed to update the option to minimum payment again, just in case we somehow made the wrong selection. We get passed that situation to have it happen AGAIN. Today we have disabled the auto payment feature and will be going through the same issue again. Chase please fix the autopay screen of both your website and mobile app, it keeps defaulting to statement balance every time.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I took out a debt consolidation loan with my credit union to consolidate my credit cards. My credit union wanted to pay them off directly. The first check that was sent to Chase got lost in the mail. It was not received or cashed, so my credit union reissued the check and overnighted the check via FedEx to ensure it was paid. This also happened with another credit card company. Both checks were FedExed and signed for. The other credit card company processed my payment same day and shows the payment as pending until funds are received...but not Chase. The first time I talked to Chase, they said they process all their mail the same day it is received. However, now they are changing their tune, and saying it is going to take up to 5 days to show the payment was even received... even though I OVERNIGHTED the check to them.

This cannot be legal. What if a payment is due in the amount of time it takes for them to go through their mail? I call absolute BS. Every other banking institution I have talked to states they are required to at least process all their mail the same day it is received because they cannot sit on payments. To do so would be a disaster for everyone due to interest accrual, due dates, late fees, etc. I'm wondering at this point if this is even legal. Well, good for me, I actually work in Regulatory Compliance, and will be doing my research on this process to see if this follows federal regulations. If it doesn't you bet your sweet ** I'm going to be calling the CFPB. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Chase Credit Card pulled TWO payments from my checking account thus causing my bank account to be overdrawn! When I contacted Chelsea ** and Spencer at Chase, I was told that they couldn't put the money back into my bank account. I would have to wait 7-10 business days and they would MAIL me a check!!!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Company is terrible to work with - currently on anniversary trip with my wife celebrating 20 years and about to check into hotel when they stopped my card because it was approaching limit. I called, did a check by phone and paid the full balance of the card - at which point after they notified me that they need to hold the funds for 3 days before releasing the card. I explained that we couldn’t check into our hotel room and they didn’t care. Said it was a new procedure to hold the money and that we were out of luck. Stay away from JP Morgan Chase and their credit cards!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I called 4 time; all gave me different answer. The air tickets sold through Chase is much more expensive than booking directly through airline. Chase point might seem like a great deal to redeem airfare but those tickets are the lowest level, meaning no changing no canceling. Even if you are willing to pay extra for upgrading seat, you can't. I called to change my outbound ticket to travel from different destination. They had asked me to agree for a $50 re issue fee otherwise they cannot look it up for me (something about how their system works).

Meanwhile they got all tickets date/ time messed up and I had to call back again and again. Eventually when they finally got the right date/time for my outbound trip, they charged me for an extra $2288 USD on top of my 9000 points. And let's not forget the tickets are NOT REFUNDABLE. Overall experience talking to their representative was very unpleasant. I had to repeat my credit card # many times to reach the right person. Overall experience using my points to redeem air ticket was very upsetting. And the extra $2288 USD for changing just the OUTBOUND trip is simply ridiculous. Due to the above reasons, I will not be using Chase credit card anymore. To me, Chase is about "THEM", while other credit card company like American Express is more about "US".

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I went to use my points with Chase Sapphire and it now says they have limited inventory from hotels, airlines etc so even though the hotel and airline sites show availability I cannot use my points unless it is for some strange hotel or airline. I cannot get anyone with the rewards program to answer questions. They can only say that they buy only a certain amount of days and seats with hotels and airline. I asked to go to NYC at any time in 2019 and stay at a Hilton Hotel. There are about 50 Hiltons in Manhattan but they cannot find one available for me to use my Sapphire points.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I called them about an email I received for a purchase I didn't make. They told me dont worry about the charges and said they would cancel my card and send me a new one. Well they sent me my new one and kept the charge on the new account. When I questioned it they told me they would review it again and get back to me. Well I received a letter today saying that the reason they can not reverse the charge is because I received benefit from the transaction! I didnt receive anything but from anywhere!

Long story short I went to my local police department to file report and canceled ALL my Chase cards with this company. Not only did I pay what I owed in FULL every month I've been with them for many years and for 100 they do this. They are liars when they say that we won't be liable. I still can't believe this. Tomorrow I'm called the store where the purchase was made online also. I hope they can help me!! Can't wait to close my savings account tomorrow with Chase!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

We made an online hotel booking during Christmas, however, this unethical hotel website charged our Chase Freedom credit card a different amount which is 40% higher than the amount they advised online. We found out the same day and called to the hotel booking website to complaint and they refused to refund (unbelievable! I know!). My last resort was to call Chase Credit Card Protection and asked them to block the unauthorized amount. Chase Credit Card customer service supervisor told us there is nothing they can do at the moment especially during Christmas and advised us not to block but to wait until the transaction change from “pending” to “posted” status and then report to Chase investigation department to request a refund. So we followed their instruction.

We did not cancel or block our Chase Freedom Visa card. Instead we stopped by the 1st hotel and explained to them what happened and never checked in. We then booked and checked into a different hotel that night. After 3 business days we called the investigation department. After spending over an hour on the phone escalating the issue to a manager, we were only told it’s too late because transaction was posted already. (You must be kidding me!) We wasted hours and were kicked around. I can’t believe this!

In the end we never got a refund for the hotel charge which we never checked in and disputed. We are switching our whole banking, all our savings, credit cards, retirement/education savings, investments to a different financial institution. Chase can’t even take care of $150 unauthorized charge on our credit card. What else can I expect from their customer service and customer protection?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I've been a Chase customer for a very long time. Your new, updated website is a disaster. There's no easy menu to search, there too many useless graphics that are not helpful. I just tried to find a link for DISPUTES---I searched for 10 minutes and still couldn't find it. I really dislike your 'arty' but frustrating, not user-friendly, not clearly laid out website. It might be time for us to take our business to another company who serves the 'common folk' and not some genius, artistic web designer.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The overall customer service and have zero interest in you getting a lower APR. Misleading business practices are in fact true as you read online. You would have to do the math, daily interest, and actually overpay to have a zero balance, therefore resetting your account. Pretty sneaky eh? Try not to “Chase” after this card.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Poor business experience. Deceptive practices on their own customers. Anything for a buck? Hard to believe they know what each other is doing, sending me a cancellation notice and a zero percent promo offer within a week of each other. Email touts zero interest promo rate but in the fine print it shows that it doesn't start for almost two weeks. So... if you do use your card, that interest bearing balance is buried beneath the zero percent balance. You can't eliminate the interest fee unless the whole balance is eliminated. And beware... just because you have paid the statement balance doesn't mean there isn't last month's interest fee lurking for next month. You would have to do the math, daily interest, and actually overpay to have a zero balance, therefore resetting your account. Pretty sneaky eh? THAT'S CHASE!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I've been a Chase credit card customer for many years. Recently I accepted an offer from them to upgrade my card. I accepted, was approved and awaited my new cards. Chase began sending my notifications to someone else's email! Unbelievably, it was someone I know and he forwarded the emails to me. I called Chase customer service after the first occurrence.

After a long phone session with customer service, I was assured the problem was resolved. It wasn't. A second email was sent to the wrong person a week later and he forwarded it to me again. This time I when I contacted Chase, I spoke with customer service, then a senior security specialist, then an online security specialist. No one could explain the reason why my emails & information were going to the wrong person. They filled out a form to turn over to their technical department. When I asked if someone would get back to me and let me know this was resolved, I was told I'd receive a letter in the mail. Chase goes to great lengths to assure its customers that their information is protected, but I'm not convinced. I wonder who else Chase is sending my information to?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Decided to open a Chase Freedom Unlimited cc, was automatically approved for a 7,600 limit. Sent me an email confirmation and how to set up auto payments and such. So I completed all of it, got card in mail, and when I called to activate it they said it is under review. Huh. 819 trans. so I asked what is the issue as they responded it was for my protection. So they call next day I answer and they say they need to verify a couple things. I said fine as the agent asked the questions. I answered basic information and she told me that she would get back to me in 24-48 hrs np. Called again next day same time need to verify information as I told them I did that yesterday but still had to answer the questions. "Under review," she said. I told her, "Never mind."

Getting off on the wrong foot is a bad sign for me however she assured me it was for my protection. So I have the cc already, can’t access my online account, 2 more same type of phone calls later, and I’m still waiting on them. And when I called asked to speak to the supervisor and he said that, "Someone will be calling you," I said, "They have 4 times. What is going on here?" His response was, "Someone will get back to you." So I’m still waiting but I decided at 11 am today I’m calling them to find out what they are doing and if I can’t resolve it then I’m going to tell them to pound their card up their **. Have a 33 yr old Discover Card with a 45,000 limit and a zero balance. WTF. Recommend to anyone not to apply to chase. I have not a single blemish on all 3 reports.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I collected my rewards points over a period of year and kept them safe only to use to book flight ticket as Chase encourages its customers to redeem the points for travel to get best of it. So I booked a ticket then I observed that I needed a change in the ticket so I called up the customer care and I was rightly suggested to cancel the ticket and rebook it instead of charging the existing one and I was also said that I would get full refund (as I was still under 24 hrs timeframe) within 15 to 30 minutes.

But to my surprise I did not receive the full refund and now I was in a situation where I had to rebook the ticket but I did not sufficient points. When I called the care I was asked to wait for 24 + 72 hours to get the remaining points. First question - how only partially refund happened? Secondly if I wait for 4 days then I may either lose the good deal ticket or the prices may go up. So this forced me to use my credit card instead of points where I lost the benefit of getting 25% extra on redeeming the points.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

The customer representative at Ultimate Rewards are rude and completely incompetent. I tried to make a flight change, it took them 1.5 hours to complete a simple change. When I did a similar change with the airline it took 10 min. WTF? Also, the customer reps at the transaction dispute department was also extremely rude and unhelpful. When a product I purchased was not delivered, the Chase representative refuse to dispute this transaction for me. Overall, extremely unpleasant!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My SLATE VISA credit card limit was $5000 and Chase Bank closed my account with a balance under $250. They claimed to have sent a letter to me detailing how they arrived at this decision but I never received the letter. In speaking with an associate they said that because I had issues with my mortgage company is what prompted them to close my account! After Hurricane Irma, I got behind on my mortgage and the mortgage company reported that I was 2-3 months late. So, I finally catch up on my mortgage around June or July and all is well. So in October, I attempted to use my card but the transaction kept declining. I called to find out why and that's when I found out that my account was closed. Absolutely, no account issues with Chase but they closed my account anyway and our relationship is forever done!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I am currently applying for a Chase Sapphire card and I received a letter from Chase requesting I send a copy of my SSN, proof of address, a ID card. I called the number provided on the letter to verify that this was a legitimate request and not a fraudulent phishing scam and each time I was connected to a call center in India (yes, I did ask for the location of the call center). The customer service representative who did not speak clear English then asked me to provide my name, address, SSN, over the phone number (similar to fraudulent IRS calls). My frustration is that Chase has outsourced this department which handles sensitive information to a call center in India. It does NOT make sense to send my sensitive personal information to a foreign country in order to do business with a company in the USA.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

This awful bank closed my account for no reason at all then held my money for a week and a half. I have fantastic credit and have never missed a payment in my life. They got a check from my work (I work for the government) and they were using the wrong website to register the check so they did not believe it was real. Instead of contacting me they CLOSED IT! Without any notification or warning. The check was later cleared as a good check but they closed my account anyways. When they sent me the money in the account they lost the tracking number and I did not have to sign for the package when it finally arrived a week and a half later!!! Anyone could’ve taken the package (my money). One of the worst experiences of my life. Very scary. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I applied for an offer for $200 off of hotel stay by opening a CC with Chase, but they gave me a completely different offer. Contacted Chase and they deny... Awful experience. I do not recommend... Back in September, I booked a room for 2 nights at Marriot. When booking the room, a Chase credit card offer came up to get $200 off for 1st stay, if I opened a CC with Chase and paid for the stay. CC has an annual fee of $95. After my stay, I called Chase and the offer was completely different for points, which are useless to me, as I do not stay in hotels when I travel. I did write a letter and again was turned down. Very disappointing, since I would have never opened a CC with an annual fee with point offers that are useless to me. Is there a consumer agency I could file a complaint? To me this was a bait and switch tactic that was used by the Chase and I would never deal with them again.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I got the Chase Sapphire preferred in the end of September when they had an offer of 12 months 0% intro APR. I thought that's great since I wanted to pay off a big balance over time. I was at the screen that had that offer, I applied, and got approved. I was redirected to a window with the "you got approved" and an APR percent. I thought it was odd but I assumed it was the APR after the 0% intro APR ends. My boyfriend called Chase to verify and we were told if you got approved then you automatically get the offer. Ok November comes around and I get my statement balance with $60 something dollars of interest. It is now obvious I didn't get the promo. I have now talked to 5 people, supervisors and managers. All saying they can't do anything about it.

There was one manager that offered to not charge me the interest charged in the first month but I wanted to get the 0% APR so I waited to speak with someone higher, thinking hey it's not my mistake, it's theirs, they will fix it. Well they didn't. The last research manager I spoke to, Danielle **, says she couldn't even do that because they never said anything about not charging me the interest accumulated during that window and she supposedly listened to my phone calls with them. All these people are trying to say it's my fault. One said I didn't qualify because of the terms and conditions of the offer, which is not true. I have researched this. Another one said I didn't get it because I didn't apply through the link related to that offer, which I know I did.

I'm extremely cautious with anything related to my credit score. Another manager said that when you apply you can get any of the offers going on at the time so I just didn't get the one I wanted. It is unbelievable and deceitful what they are doing. I only applied to that card for the 0% intro APR. That affects my credit score and I'm being charged interest. This is not something I take lightly.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Well I applied for a Chase Credit Card on the 14th Nov 2018 and I was approved and was told I'll get my card in 3 days. I waited for the whole 3 days. I didn't get any. I call back on Monday to ask them about it and I was told I'll get it by Friday. Well up till now I've not gotten it yet and I'm pissed off right now because you lied.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I bought into using a Chase Marriott card and earned 81k points which my statement indicated was transferred to my Marriott Rewards Card. However I then closed the acct and without my knowledge Marriott at "their discretion" wiped out all the earned points, including bonus points. Neither Chase nor Marriott were willing to do ANYTHING about it. It amounted to a type of scam about "bonus Points". Very very opaque business practice.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

DO NOT obtain this credit card! Online access regularly fails with accurate (I write my user and passwords down) user and password information. Password reset link does not work. Customer service phone access has a greater than 30 min wait time. Every time my password fails and after waiting on hold for 30 minutes, the customer service representative apologizes for the link issue and regular password failure issue. Capital One is my preferred card now. I never, never have a problem logging in or reaching customer service.

Resolution response: Nov. 7, 2018

Chase responded and we resolved the issue.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have been a Chase customer since 2012. Never once during this 6 year period has Chase ever (EVER!) responded to any (ANY!) inquiry concerning my business cards. My accounts were paid in full each month, including the $450 fee for an elite card and an additional $150 for two authorized users, my adult kids. I experienced a billing error in June 2018, and immediately notified Chase through their Secure Messenger service. Chase acknowledged my dispute and stated they needed more time (a form reply).

After 5 months of politely reminding Chase of the unresolved matter without any substantive response (only acknowledgments — the same form letter). Yesterday I cancelled six (6) Chase credit cards, and received the same form reply. Not once did Chase attempt to help me, only form letter acknowledgments, hence the cancellation of 6 credit cards. I recommend not applying for Chase Business cards, even elite ones. Poor, poor customer service caused by Chase management not controlling tekkies, nor caring.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Our company has held Chase Business Cards for years. Today we discovered that Chase will not dispute an unauthorized charge on our behalf. Come to find out the merchant in dispute uses WePay, a Chase owned company, to collect money due on a bill, at the rate of 2.9% payable to Chase itself. This is a huge conflict of interest. We are a small contractor company. A subcontractor billed us and the bill was in dispute between ourselves and the subcontractor. The next thing we knew the bill was paid in full on our Chase card. When we called Chase they could not tell us who authorized a payment and told us to take it up with the merchant. At no time were we notified that the bill collector in fact was Chase itself.

Chase expert review by Beverly Harzog

Chase is the U.S. consumer and commercial banking subsidiary of  J.P. Morgan, which is a leading global financial services firm with assets worth $2.6 trillion. Chase has more than 5,300 branches and 15,500 ATMs. Cardholders can also bank online via mobile phones. The Chase brand is used for credit cards.

• No-transfer-fee balance transfer card: The Chase Slate card is one of the few cards on the market that waives this fee. But the fee is only waived for consumers who transfer their balances within the first 60 days of opening an account. After 60 days has passed, the fee is 3 percent. There’s also no annual fee on this card.

• Sign-up bonuses: Chase credit cards often have generous sign-up bonuses, but there’s usually a spending requirement to meet within a certain amount of time, which is usually around three months.

• Rewards: Chase offers a variety of rewards on many cards, including cash-back cards on everyday expenses, such as groceries and gas, travel rewards points, airline miles and more. Some cards offer extra points or cash back in specific categories. Each card has its own rules for rewards (for example, spending caps on bonus categories) so be sure you read the credit card agreement and the rewards program details very carefully. Also look at the redemption options to determine if the card is a good fit.

• Ink-brand business credit cards: Chase’s Ink-brand business cards are popular and offer a variety of rewards for small business owners.

• Excellent benefits and cost-saving features: A few Chase cards waive foreign transaction fees and some baggage fees. On some cards, you’ll find anniversary bonuses, airport lounge passes or memberships, 24/7 concierge services, 1:1 point transfer to popular frequent travel programs and more. Keep in mind that great perks usually come with annual fees. Chase also offers customers the opportunity to view their FICO scores online.

• Reputation: Chase is the number one credit card issuer in the United States based on loans outstanding. Also, Chase is number two in mortgages. For three years in a row, Chase has been the number one Small Business Association lender to women-and-minority-owned small businesses.

• Best for: Small business owners and those who have good-to-excellent credit. Those who have credit card debt, but still have good credit, could be helped by the Chase Slate balance transfer card.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Chase Credit Cards Company Information

Chase
270 Park Ave
New York
NY
www.chase.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.