1.07/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Chase Credit Cards

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 14, 2017

4821 Chase Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Chase card used to have great service few years back. However, it is definitely degrading fast over these two years. Examples, 1. Simple dispute takes forever and often can't be resolved. Unlike Citi credit card. 2. My account is for no reason locked up recently. I spent almost half an hour on their toll free number to have it unlock.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Applied for the card, used it a couple of times, Put the card away, NEVER received a bill (not online or hard copy). Received nothing, then card filed with credit company for non-payment. Brand new card, was not even aware a bill was due. Ruined my very high credit rating. Then got the worst customer service. Still have not received a bill, in any form. How can anyone pay a bill if you do not know where to send payment or do not know how much payment. Rudest people ever. 2 month card, cost me between 40 & 60 points on my credit rating. Do not get this card. Worst experience.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I paid this card in full and they punished me and charged an RIDICULOUS interest charge and called it dual interest - basically they're ripping people off - CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!! I called asked for a payoff - confirmed this would pay my account IN FULL – “Oh yes ma'am it will”, 15 days later I get a bill for what they call "dual interest". Tried to talk to a manager, waste of time! Closed my account IMMEDIATELY - NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I had a Chase credit card for several years. Apparently, there was a charge of $12 which was unknown to me. Chase did not notify me. Cancelled the card, and stole around $800 worth of mileage. When called Chase rep was extremely rude, offered no assistance.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I work in retail and have noticed that Chase Credit Cards are TOO Thick for the credit card terminals. Now since all cards are now forced with EMV chips. Inserting these thick cards into the credit card terminals are spreading the contacts farther apart from another, causing chip malfunctions to occur with thinner cards. I thought there was a standard thickness that everyone had to follow. I guess not. I would never recommend Chase Credit Cards until they fix the thickness of the credit card. This reminds me back to the days of the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo System.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Chase Freedom Unlimited I opened an account on Sept 4, applied to do a balance transfer from another credit card to Chase card. They said it would take 21 to 30 days to process then they would let me know if it would go through. I tried to log in today September 9th, found out my account had been frozen for a review. Have not even use the card yet. Called to cancel the card because I've been on hold for 3 hours trying to speak to someone. They refuse to cancel my card and my account customer service is terrible. Senior customer service are terrible. There is something not right with this account. Chase has problems, real problems. Hopefully this doesn't affect my credit. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

4 times in 72 hours my card was declined at different services. $0 balance as I pay it off completely every month. Customer service says they show nothing of any decline. I'd suggest that Chase get better software to better serve their customers. I have very little confidence in this card now. It was my primary business card but will be no longer.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Had my Chase Slate Visa for 7 months. Credit limit $4000. Have charges of $1400. Have made monthly payments on time during this 7 month period. Went to make a purchase of $101 dollars at Home Depot this past Saturday and my card was declined. Called customer service immediately and was told my account was closed and that I would receive a letter explaining why. They also gave me a number to call which turned out that they only answer M-F. Called that number on Monday and was told they did a review and decided that I had too many new accounts? Gentleman on the phone was curt and rude.

To close the account without same day notification and to receive a letter after the fact I find to callous and insensitive never mind embarrassing to me as I stood at checkout. Also now a closed account goes on my credit history when all I did was pay my monthly statement on time (never the minimum payment. I will recommend to everyone I know to stay away from Chase. Also I know there is fair lending practices stated in their original letters when I got the card. I wonder because my address is in a minority community in Boston MA that I am being profiled. Thumbs down on Chase credit card services.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I contracted with AZ Air and Heat through Costco to put in ductless air and heat and take out the floor heater in a home. AZ could not finish the job and I was not able to be back in the area for a few weeks. They tried to charge the entire $15000 to Chase and Chase called me to confirm. I told them the charge was not to go through and that I would call them when the job was complete. On the second pass, AZ "forgot" that they had to take out the floor heater and replace wallboard flush to the wall and plywood flush with the hardwood floor. They then tried again to charge the entire amount and Chase paid it. Then I had to call to try to remedy the situation so that the payment was not processed until this job was complete. I spent over an hour with various reps to try to remedy the situation.

Chase Customer service said they couldn't help, and put me through to the disputes department. The disputes department looked up my talks with Chase in which I told them NOT TO MAKE THIS PAYMENT until I called to tell them that the job was complete. There was NO NOTE BY THE PEOPLE I TALKED TO STATING THAT THIS WAS NOT TO BE PAID UNTIL I CALLED letting Chase know that the job was actually complete. AZ's business department seemed to not even be aware of whether jobs were complete, they just charged. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Michael then told me the same line. It seems Chase cannot send an email immediately to a customer so the customer can then view a letter or notice in their account file. I was told this was because of security issues and they haven't been hacked.

BUT... all of my account numbers are in my online file, all of my charges, all of my statements, BUT... they can't put information useful and helpful to the customer there. I asked for a call back from quality control or fraud prevention and Michael says "no one is gonna give me a call". He says Chase is also not set up to provide the customer with help or assistance caused by their INABILITY TO SERVE THE CUSTOMER, or TO APOLOGIZE FOR CAUSING THE CUSTOMER INCONVENIENCE. They weren't willing to do anything except submit the account into dispute. Hours wasted, and I was told clearly that they don't care to help and don't care to modernize their system. I have 3 credit cards with Chase. That is changing soon.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

We had been customers for over ten years. Recently, a restaurant charged our credit card twice. We filed a dispute. The amount was credited back to our account, so we closed the dispute. Apparently, this was the wrong thing to do. Chase charged our account again. We called to get it corrected, and they would not correct the problem. They said we would need to go through with a written form of dispute and send it in for review. We did nothing wrong. Spent way too much time trying to get the problem fixed and their customer service was horrible. They do not care about their customers. We closed the account.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

Opened a credit card with Chase a few months ago for the sign up bonus. Had to call in and speak with a professional but not very friendly representative to be approved, and once approved got a laughably low limit. Applied for another credit card at the same time and was approved online instantly with a limit five times that of Chase. I used the Chase card to get the sign up bonus, but was constantly having to make payments on it mid-cycle to keep utilization low and not hit my limit. The app is very glitchy. No search function available, and will often stall out trying to load and I'll have to close the app and then restart. Really annoying, especially compared to my main bank. It crashed once when I was trying to make a payment and had to wait a few days just to make sure it didn't go through and double charge me.

Nonetheless decided to try and open a joint savings account with Chase as I already had a banking relationship with them via the credit card. Applied online where I was informed I could apply only for an individual account and joint accounts could only be processed at a physical location. Annoying, but I decided I'd just add my spouse after the account was opened. They also asked some fairly prying questions about assets and liabilities, which I found a bit strange for a savings account. They had to verify the external bank account I was making the initial deposit from via two small deposits they then withdraw from the account. Standard procedure for this. I was supposed to go to their website and verify the small deposit amounts and then they're withdraw my initial deposit into the savings account... except their website kept glitching.

First of all the website layout is terrible. Even in the first message they sent me they told me to just search for keywords to even bring up the part of the site where I'd be able to verify my external account. Maybe it'd be nice to have an easier way to verify the account. When I finally found the section to verify I tried to do so only to have it pop up saying that part of the website wasn't working. I thought they may have been updating the website or needed more time to process the verification deposits on their end so waited a few days and tried again. Nope. Still didn't work. Even got another message from them saying I still needed to verify the external account. Thanks, I'm trying to. Throughout this process I forgot my password and had to update it. Their password process is excessive.

I understand it's for your finances so you want a secure password, but they go so far as to blacklist your last five passwords so you won't repeat them. Really annoying. I got fed up and just opened a savings account with American Express instead. Was able to apply online for a joint savings account, no prying questions about my finances beyond those required by law and to verify my identity, and the interest rate is well above what Chase was offering. And to verify my account for the initial deposit? A Big Red Button on the home page.

Sorry Chase, but you need to step it up. Poor website and app, and your services really aren't as hot as you think they are. Two stars for the pretty awesome credit card sign up bonus, but I'll be canceling my card before your annual fee hits, and I have no intention of verifying my account for the initial savings deposit even if your website will ever let me. We had a nice little fling but it's time for me to move onto someone a little more serious.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I called to see why I got a text message telling me my bill was past due. I hadn't used it in over a year and the card was cut up. They never sent me a bill telling me I had to pay an annual fee. Apparently they sent it on Aug 18 and they only give you 30 days to refund. I was 2 days late. I closed the account (which means my credit is going to take a hit because of that). Mark tells me I still owe the $69 annual fee even though I closed my account and hadn't used the card in over a year. I told him I wasn't going to pay something that I am not using. He said that was fine that it would just have late charges on it. Use your brain Chase... I realize this would be acceptable if I had a balance or even was remotely using it in the last year. This is the worst service I have ever had in any industry and I will tell EVERYONE not to use their services unless they want to be crapped on.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

Had to cancel our trip due to back surgery and Doc's orders on traveling. Never had such an unpleasant experience dealing with an adjuster. Chase would not let you talk with and, for that matter, they could never get her on the phone. Did finally receive a check for airline ticket covered costs but they refused to include all other hotel costs associated with my claim. I am getting a BOA card, zero fee and many of same benefits. I will never trust Chase Travel Card again.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I phoned Chase today based on information from Credit Karma regarding the credit card that I had for over 16 years was cancelled due to nonpayment for the past three months. I did not receive notification of this action either by regular mail or e-mail. The first level person I spoke to was unable to provide any real information regarding my account, I understand, most are simply reading from a screen.

When I requested to speak to a supervisor she provided the same information as did the first person who answered the phone. I expected her to be able to provide more in-depth information; especially when I explained that the information provided to Credit Karma was not the same. The supervisor placed the burden on me, the consumer, and offered to transfer me to the credit department. The only reason I had two Chase cards was that they purchased the company from my original card. There were other issues regarding their service and inability to provide correct, complete information. My recommendation would be to choose another card.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I have my statement emailed me and then it is also online. The two statements were different. The one they emailed me said all transactions posted on the 8/23 while the one they were using said transaction weren't posted till 8/26. I paid off my bill on 8/26 and then they readded those transactions saying they weren't posted again until a later date. I have paid off the same $110 3 times this months. They literally told me to stop paying my bill to make it right (because they have never collected interest off me). DO NOT USE CHASE. THEY WILL CHEAT THEIR WAY IN EXTRA MONEY IF YOU ARE NOT LETTING THEM HAVE INTEREST FROM YOU.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

Chase applied a block to my account based on suspected fraud. This is a great move to protect credit card from loses. However, no attempts had been made to verify suspected (but valid) transaction with me. I called Chase to inquire why I wasn't contacted which is common practice with all other credit cards I own. I was informed that I need to set-up an alert on my account for Chase to contact me in case of fraud. (Note: I never had to do it in any other card). Since I could not see an option to be selected specifically for fraud, I asked to be guided to the proper place. One hour and 20 minutes later, after being transferred 5 times, every time validating my identity, I gave up. Not a single person was able to see the same screen I was presented or had any idea where to go. This is terrible way to treat a customer.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I understand I should have done my homework. Believe me, lesson learned! Chase charges 3% on every single foreign transaction. When you use your credit card for your hotel, airfare, and other purchases, it adds up! The incredibly unhelpful customer service rep told me that they "have to pay for the conversion somehow." Really? It costs that much to maintain the computers that do that? If they were paying people to do it, I might not mind, but it's just lining the shareholders' pockets as all their "fees" do. So disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My story starts 2004. Opened nonprofit center on credit. Chase was the first one that took me from 12 percent to 33 percent because I had other credit cards for business. Once they did it the rest of cards did it drowning me. Center closed. They took one of the accts from 1100.00 to 154, 482. Put a judgment on me for that amount. In my opinion they are legalized thieves!!! Don't ever use this bank, in fact any bank or credit cards.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Have been a Chase credit card holder for 13 years, used for all purchase over $10, paid in full each month for the duration of my use, NEVER ONCE LATE. Last month I thought I cashed in my cash back and applied it to my bill, but did not. Got my bill this month with a 25% ($9.16) late fee. E-mailed twice and called once, told 'too bad.' Second e-mail informed me I'd probably pay an additional late fee for the window between payment and receipt. Total **. This is what on time/in full loyalty gets you! Will try a supervisor tomorrow and if no satisfaction, will cancel my card. Absolutely disgusted. No mistakes, ever, never.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have been calling Chase Freedom about two wrongful charges on my credit card statement since March 8, 2017, for six months now, speaking to over ten different Chase representatives. I have been reassured and promised each time by Chase representatives that these two charges will be taken care of or have already been credited back. However, every time I check my statements, I find that this is not true. Today, I spent four hours on the phone and spoke with six different Chase representatives (and transferred to three different departments). The last and most unpleasant conversation I had was with Mindy, the Account Supervisor for Disputes. She offered absolutely zero help and terrible customer service, despite how clearly upset I was. Her complete lack of sensitivity and helpfulness was the final straw. I asked to be transferred to Cardmember Services, where I cancelled my Chase Freedom credit card.

I am greatly disturbed by Chase's apparent lack of competence and customer care. How can they allow multiple representatives to inaccurately reassure clients of something that is so clearly false? It is completely unacceptable to make their cardmembers call numerous times and spend countless hours over the phone with no resolution! It has been six months of mishandling and neglecting a very simple issue of crediting back two wrongful transactions. I have been a loyal Chase customer for over 10 years and am outraged by how either incompetent or indifferent this business has proven to be.

Resolution response: Sept. 5, 2017

I had written a review to this site on 8/23 re Chase not finding a wire payment... Now an investigation is ongoing to see if fraud was committed (not by Chase or the sending bank)... I fault Chase, as a banking institution, for not investigating the wire reference number, as I started doing last Friday... If they had, we wouldn`t have wasted 6 weeks and extra payments... they merit 3 stars because for many years they have given excellent service...

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

After 22 years with 2 different Chase Credit Cards, including one Slate, now we have finally had a bad customer experience. Previously we've had no problems and no late payments... We loaned our card to our daughter for her business expenses. The total was near the $15,000 limit so she wired $15,000 on 7/10 from her business account at her credit union. An IMAD number, confirming the transaction reached its destination (thru the Federal Reserve) and a confirmed time of receipt by Chase was obtained by the Credit Union.

My daughter followed the wiring instructions given by a Chase employee yet for the past 6 weeks Chase has denied having it... We have sent multiple faxes, with Chase denying having received them, tho' we have confirmations of "successful transmission". We have made multiple phone calls and can never speak with a really high-up person... Have dealt with 3 different departments... Even made 2 extra monthly payments since wire lost after the CU traced it (back to Chase). Reported to the Mo. Division of Credit Unions who say that it sounds like the CU did what it was supposed to. Now I'm starting to report Chase to different places, starting with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. We will see but I have lost patience and will probably seek a new card elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I received an email notice that my payment had not been received. (The payment was mailed three weeks ago.) I called; had the funds transferred from my checking account. This morning I called to have the late fee reversed. Miraculously, they found the check on the very night I called. I don't believe in coincidences. I think they know I would have verified that the check had been processed and thus they had to apply it to my account... or go through an auditing procedure to find out exactly where they put that money. I think they are doing it to collect late fee payments even when payments are made well within the deadline. I closed the account. This is the second time it has happened with Chase. It has never happened with any other bank or credit union.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

So in the 20 years I have had credit cards, I have had a ton. NEVER had ANY issue with any of them. In those 20 years I have filed maybe 4 or 5 disputes ever. Then my first charge with them I got shafted by the company. I disputed the charge and asked for a new card number – I was told NO NEED AT ALL – we can just block the merchant. Then I get a bill and the merchant charged me again - even though I have a letter in writing that 8 days before I put a stop on them ever charging my card. I was upset with Chase bc they really caused me to now have to dispute TWO charges with the same merchant bc of their incompetence. I spoke to two managers on separate occasions. Both talked over me, were the rudest people ever and one even started yelling out of the blue. I then asked for someone higher.

To stop the fraud, I had to cancel the card as lost or stolen – which is what I said to do to the first guy who assured me it was not necessary bc he would block them. On a Sat I reported it lost, and was told 3-5 business days to get a new card and number. There was no holiday or anything and yet Friday 5 business days later it still is not here. This is an Amazon credit card & I am shocked that Amazon does business with these people. EVERY credit card I have ever had replaced and that has happened dozens of times as I shop online a lot and people just get my info somehow – but every company overnights me the card. They literally refuse to overnight it although it is past their maximum wait of 5 days. Beware of this company. Managers yelling at me when I never raised my voice at all is insanity and never has ever happened to me with any other card. Discover treats me very well – use them.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I sure wish I had gone to this website before I applied for the Slate card. I applied online and requested a balance transfer amount. I was approved for half that amount. I tried to completely close the account. They will not do that!! Even though they say it's "closed" the card actually is still dormant for at least six months!! And the inquiry stays on your credit report. What a disappointment! I am sorry that I applied for anything with Chase!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have credit cards with Chase. Got them both around the same time. I haven't been late or over the credit line for over 10 years on ANY of my credit cards, yet one Chase credit card has a purchase APR that's 10% higher than the other. When I asked why they said "check your credit report... It's based on your credit report." Well, my credit report is the same for both cards! I hate peoples who say stupid stuff and can't think critically! Goodbye Chase!

Original review: July 31, 2017

Been a Chase customer for 10+ years. My wife and I have a Chase SLATE credit card, which we use frequently and pay off on a regular basis. We have no issues with it. 2 months ago, I opened up this Freedom card, have been using it, and paying it down each month. Over the weekend, I tried to make a transaction and was declined. The credit limit is only $1,500 and I maybe had $300 on the balance (was only trying to purchase something about $150). After a weekend of horrible customer service by Chase, I was continuously told to call the "Fraud Department" on Monday (as they are conveniently not open on the weekends). Upon calling them Monday morning, I was told my account was put under review and they are determining if "I should still use the card."

Mind you, my other card has a 14K limit. This one is only $1,500. And yet, they have to determine if I should still use the card. Hmmm... Seems like if you make purchases and pay it down, they don't like that. They'd rather you max out and make minimal monthly payments. I can't have my credit card being put on an arbitrary freeze by Chase, at any time they "feel" like it. When this is resolved I am closing this card down and going somewhere else.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I called customer service to ask why my Apr was 29.99 for purchases which is the same for cash advantages. They couldn't tell me at first, then a "supervisor" came to the phone just to tell me that Thebes's Apr of 29.99 for purchases was a penalty in 2008 for being late with a payment. Now, my question was, "we are in 2017, and you have been penalizing me for almost 9 years?" His answer was "once you get penalize with a high interest, that rate NEVER goes back to a lower rate." I was so upset that a company that said that they value my business with them for 12 years can penalize me for almost 10. They are plain thieves. So I decided to close that account even though that action will affect my credit score. I will NEVER bank with them and I'll never do business with them EVER again.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I've had a Chase United CC for a VERY long time only to discover that they have been charging me a $35 late fee every month that I've paid them on the due date. The catch? Paid it on line after 8pm EST. Are you kidding me? They did remove two months of late fees, but refused to go back any further even though the payments were made on the due date. A complete scam. You apparently can "phone" in up to midnight on the due date, but better set your calendar reminder to pull off the road at high speeds to keep Chase Bank happy. United has gone down hill as an airline & Chase can swim down the same river. I'll never do any business with Chase Bank.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I stayed one night (06/27/2017) on business trip in Holiday Inn at Newark Airport. The room was prepaid by the booking agent. A few days ago, I found there is a charge for that night on my credit card. I called the hotel, who said they did NOT charge my credit. It was only a hold that should be lifted in a few days. The Chase dispute team never responded to my messages and disputes (actually they erased my initial dispute and ignored later ones, despite my requesting them to respond many times).

In the end, when I had to call them on 07/21/2017, they were rather rude to me over the phone. Instead of making a simple phone to the merchant, they keep asking me to "prove" I was not charged. It is like they could put what ever charge in your credit statement and the burden of evidence is on you. And even when both me the merchant deny the transaction (with a statement from the hotel), they still want some further "prove." It seems to me that this is not even a dispute, but simply a mistake between the merchant and the credit, for which I could do little about but the credit company could easily solve by contacting the merchant. But they just do not want to show the least respect to their loyal customer.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Booked two nights at Embassy Suites in Alexandria, VA using points. Mattresses in room are horrible (have VM from manager agreeing). Hotel refuses to move us, even though they have a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee. Call Sapphire, assuming they'll have my back. Big surprise: they're going refund me $35.00. Wow! Our biz spends $20k a month with Chase. Cancelled card.

Chase expert review by Beverly Harzog

Chase is the U.S. consumer and commercial banking subsidiary of  J.P. Morgan, which is a leading global financial services firm with assets worth $2.6 trillion. Chase has more than 5,300 branches and 15,500 ATMs. Cardholders can also bank online via mobile phones. The Chase brand is used for credit cards.

• No-transfer-fee balance transfer card: The Chase Slate card is one of the few cards on the market that waives this fee. But the fee is only waived for consumers who transfer their balances within the first 60 days of opening an account. After 60 days has passed, the fee is 3 percent. There’s also no annual fee on this card.
    • Sign-up bonuses: Chase credit cards often have generous sign-up bonuses, but there’s usually a spending requirement to meet within a certain amount of time, which is usually around three months.
    • Rewards: Chase offers a variety of rewards on many cards, including cash-back cards on everyday expenses, such as groceries and gas, travel rewards points, airline miles and more. Some cards offer extra points or cash back in specific categories. Each card has its own rules for rewards (for example, spending caps on bonus categories) so be sure you read the credit card agreement and the rewards program details very carefully. Also look at the redemption options to determine if the card is a good fit.
    • Ink-brand business credit cards: Chase’s Ink-brand business cards are popular and offer a variety of rewards for small business owners.
    • Excellent benefits and cost-saving features: A few Chase cards waive foreign transaction fees and some baggage fees. On some cards, you’ll find anniversary bonuses, airport lounge passes or memberships, 24/7 concierge services, 1:1 point transfer to popular frequent travel programs and more. Keep in mind that great perks usually come with annual fees. Chase also offers customers the opportunity to view their FICO scores online.
    • Reputation: Chase is the number one credit card issuer in the United States based on loans outstanding. Also, Chase is number two in mortgages. For three years in a row, Chase has been the number one Small Business Association lender to women-and-minority-owned small businesses.
    • Best for: Small business owners and those who have good-to-excellent credit. Those who have credit card debt, but still have good credit, could be helped by the Chase Slate balance transfer card.
    Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
    Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Chase Credit Cards Company Information