1.15/5
Based on 88 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Chase Credit Cards

Chase has credit cards that can help you earn points on the things you love most, including travel. Read reviews for Chase Sapphire Preferred to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

4884 Chase Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Where to start- initially I wanted to look into opening a new credit card, I have been using the same Wells Fargo account for about 12 years now and thought it would be nice to add a new account to my credit score. Heard about Chase offering a free balance transfer and 0 apr for 15 months, figured I would try it out and transfer over some money to have a 0 APR while it sat. For starters- I filled out the application and the card opened with a LIMIT of 2,500. Is that a joke? I literally am a homeowner with 2 cars paid off and 3 other credit cards with over 20,000 in limits. Chase opens at 2,500? And on top of that- they charged me a balance transfer fee of $100.

I went into the bank and they explained only 1 of their credit cards has the 0 balance transfer fee, and I opened the wrong card. I told them I don't care what the card is called, Freedom or Sapphire, I am looking for the promotions to be applied. Can't adjust it- so I paid them $100 to hold a balance of $2,000 for 15 months. I paid it in full on the 15th month. They then charged me interest on the final bank statement after paying the card in full. Of course they did. I called them and just another "No we cannot make an adjustment, you paid the bill in full 3 days after the cycle date".

Their website only has the option to make "min" payments automatically, obviously I would have wanted to apply a FULL payment but I had to wait for my automatic min payment to process. Another option WF has on their cards is to make specific payments amount, not min or max ONLY. I really hate this bank and these fraud shady business practices. Congrats on getting $137 out of me for a card I had open for 2 days and never used or wanted. I am so happy I don't do business with these people, this bank is the definition of crooks. I opened a card with BOA in addition to my WF account, been happy with them in addition to WF.

Stay away from Chase, there is a reason there are so many bad reviews on this bank. The branches are probably fine (which is why Yelp reviews dont showcase the real problem) with nice staff, however when it comes to the actual bank practices- they are extremely shady. They has absolutely no way of ever removing a fee, even if it is their error. Keep that in mind before you open an account, knowing if there is ever any issue or mistake- YOU will pay for it.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

At the time I signed up for this card the promotion said that the card would be interest free for one year. I checked my bill and they've been charging me interest for months and I haven't even had the card a year yet. I called them to discuss this issue and was told that it was only interest free if you paid the balance off within 30 days. That's just not correct, every card is interest free if you pay it off within 30 days. That's not something that you'd advertise as being interest free for one year. This must violate some sort of Truth in Advertising Law... or are we as a society not even pretending that we're trying to honestly represent products and policies anymore.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

So I was just denied a Chase Freedom credit card after a 20+ year history with Chase. I have AX, Capital One Quicksilver, Citibank, and the bank where I maintain my checking and savings does not see me as fit to have their card. My CS are 725 and 696. If I had known this would happen I would certainly not have applied as it will impact my credit score. I will happily continue to deal with AX who has been great as well as Capital One and Citibank. I have to maintain the checking account at Chase as it is tied to my direct deposit, however, I will be shopping around for a place to keep my savings account. They are not a consumer institution.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Tried to transfer rewards points from Chase to SW airlines. Online system informed me that only my husband (primary account holder) could transfer the points to a household person in good standing, or something. No way to put my name in. I, wife, have a card (Chase Sapphire Credit Card) and pay the bill. Somehow Chase removed me from the account, then put me back on... but didn't bother to fix the rewards information. Call them: nothing they can do for 10 days as they must contact the marketing department who will research it and send me a letter. Now I am paying $1200 in airfare instead of using my points. Chase has no one (NO ONE) who can override the mistake... only the marketing department. Will be research new cards. Not that Chase cares.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I recently paid off my account for $2600 in full. Every payment was made on time. In June my credit score dropped down almost 100 points. I thought someone used my card. Chase had put a $38.00 interest charge on me and never notified me. I never received an email, phone call or notice via US Mail. I had no idea it was due and it went into collections. I disputed it with TransUnion and they investigated it. Chase told them the information was accurate and I never had a chance to plead my case. I immediately closed my account and did not receive any rewards that were promised me. I will never deal with these crooks again. They are nothing but a crime syndicate and charge more interest than the Mafia.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: July 28, 2018

My card only has $37.00 for a balance and I was charge $65.42 in interest fees, WTH is that. I filed a complaint and the messed up part is this card was paid off for a month so there is no reason for such a ridiculous charge. People we gonna have to keep watch on the interest we are being charged and for how much.

Original review: July 27, 2018

With Chase rewards program their customer service booked a ticket in March 2017 for my son and we cancelled it. They issued a credit with JetBlue for $1031.56. I called back Chase rewards program in January 2017 to book a ticket for myself using the credit and after waiting for 1 hour on the phone I talked to 3 different people telling me 3 different things. One telling me that I could not use the credit for someone else than my son, another said that I could use it for myself, and another told me that it would cost me almost 40% of the amount in the credit in penalties to use the credit to issue another ticket but that the credit will not expire!

After being completely turned off with this situation, I did not use the credit. But I called again months later to book a flight knowing the circumstances, but at my big surprise now they are telling me that the credit expired! I checked directly with the airline and indeed there was a 1 year expiration on the bank credit issued at the time. I have been screwed from over $1000 because of people from Chase Rewards program who provided the wrong information and was misleading me. This is unacceptable!!!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I have been a member of Chase for 4 years and only carry their Chase Freedom and Chase Amazon credit cards. Over the course of 4 years, I would call in to request a credit limit increase and their policy is they have to perform a hard-pull on my credit reports. Out of all the other creditors I have, Chase is the only one who not only requires a hard-pull for a credit line increase, but they don't perform automatic increases. I do not need the extra money, but a higher credit utilization to bump my score. I might as well apply for a new credit card if I'm going to endure the damage of a hard-pull.

In that regard, I closed both of my credit cards with Chase. After being a great member over the course of 4 years without one late payment, I don't deserve a hard-pull when Chase can easily do as all other creditors do... perform a soft-pull for a credit limit increase. I do not recommend Chase. They have high interest rates anyway, which is why I always pay my balance in-full each month.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I am 67 years old and in all of my years I have NEVER dealt with a worse company than this bank. I was a victim of identity theft on my Chase card and they left me hanging out to dry and took the side of the hacker. That's all you need to know about these people. If I say more, I could only use curse words. A horrible, despicable group of cretins who would steal from their mothers to further their agenda.

Original review: June 29, 2018

I wanted to sent money to a friend using QuickPay like I usually do. This day, I did it the exact same way I always did. So far, no issue, my friend always received the money without trouble. But this time, nothing arrived on his bank account. I've been advise that the money is on a Chase bank account even though my friend NEVER opened a Chase bank account. The customer service opened a claim that they immediately closed, saying that it was my fault because the transfer has been initiated from my person. The only thing I don't get is how, by doing the exact same process, the money can end up in different bank accounts?! And, one precision: my friend didn't change his phone number and other people transferred him money since I did and it worked. Results: I lost $100 and Chase doesn't even try to help me recovering the found... A shame!

Original review: June 19, 2018

I set up an autopayment for my Chase Visa card a month or so ago, and when I woke up a few days ago, I received an email saying my credit card was never paid. Chase deleted my automatic payment without my authorization. I ended up with a 25.00 late fee and I ended up paying my credit card payment plus the fee. When I called, I never received an apology for THEIR mistake and instead of sending me a check for 25.00 they deducted it from my Visa account. Meaning... I have to use my Visa card to use it. I am furious and I plan to close my account. Chase bank is a SCAM!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have been a customer in excellent standing with the Chase Credit Card Company since and have had a recent dispute over the relatively small amount of $89.00. The dispute has taken a long time to be resolved, causing much aggravation and waste of precious time. I previously contacted customer service to inquire as to what paperwork was needed to resolve the dispute. I mailed in proof of payment and provided all information, as requested. Today I received another phone call from a representative who did not leave a clear message.

This resulted in my having to call several times to finally get to the individual I needed to speak with. I spoke with Michael from Texas, a dispute resolution supervisor who informed me I needed still further proof of payment! I stated that I had provided the proof as requested by the first representative. We went back and forth until Michael told me he was closing the dispute. This was his way of “resolving” the issue. Then he disconnected the phone call. I again called and spoke with Ariel, another dispute manager, to no avail. I believe this is no way to service a longstanding customer with excellent credit history. Why must a customer be forced to “ jump through hoops” to settle a dispute? How much rudeness and indifference should be tolerated?

I am now forced to reopen a dispute for $89.00 that should have been settled easily and efficiently. I am a very dissatisfied customer with the service I have received from the Chase Credit Card Company. In fact, I will do my business with The American Express Card Company in the future. They know how to service their customers in the most efficient and professional way.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was member of a Chase credit card since 2003, but didn’t use it much because unpleasant experience in the past. The past month I made a large purchase on the credit card, and had to dispute the transaction. On June 1 I faxed a request to open a dispute, and have a proof that the fax went through. On June 6, I contacted customer service, and was informed that they didn’t receive the fax. The same day I sent a message through Chase’s secure messaging with the request to open a case, and received a response: “We received your dispute for a transaction on your credit card account. We're working on it now, and we'll respond to you with a phone call or a letter through standard mail.”

On June 15 I contacted Chase customer service, and was informed that dispute case wasn’t opened, and dispute department never received my email. Chase bank is the most unprofessional and inconsiderate business. I had more problems with them than with all banks combined. I would NOT recommend to open Chase account.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My wallet was stolen. They drained my account. Called customer service and Gave them police report number and everything, based on their opinion. It was not fraud. Which it was. Clearly several different handwriting on a deposit slip. They say the joint holder, withdrew the money. Please someone tell me, if that was the case HOW COME HE WITHDREW OUT WITH MY NAME AND NOT HIS. (Flipping Dumbest ** I've ever heard). I also had someone hacked my joint acct holders card, we called about 4Xs in 6 months. The representative knew what happened and told us. But needed to talk to him, but he was working 7/16s hard for us to talk to them. It was too late, so I never got money back. My income tax completely disappeared and transactions taken out 2 checks ago are coming out this week's check. DO NOT USE CHASE!!! They flipping SUCK **!!! There are more details about this situation(s).

Original review: June 12, 2018

I'm new to the credit world. I apply for a few credit card to start building credit. Got approved for Amex and Chase Freedom. So I decided to apply for another Chase card. My application was under review so they told me to wait. So while waiting I broke my iPhone 6 so went to get a new phone. To get the deal on a new phone I had to get a new line with a new number so that's what I did. After my new phone I call Chase to inform them that I have a new number. They sent me straight to fraud protection which I have no problem with. They said they need more verification so I went to Chase bank (which I have a checking account with) to have my ID fax from a Chase branch itself.

I call them 24 hr later to inform them that my information have been fax. They said just give them 7 days and they will get back to me via mail. Well within that 7 days they closed my only Chase credit card which I've paid on time and had a balance of $70. I'm not mad that my account is closed. I'm mad that my credit score will be affected from this nonsense. I will be closing my checking and anything else I have with Chase. Due to the fact that I've done nothing wrong and they closed my account before notifying me. What a PCS of **!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've had my Chase Credit Card for less than 2 years. Thank heavens this is the first time this has happened. I make my payments their website. The choices of payment due June 8, 2018 was: Balance $1,700.60/minimum $48.00/choose $?. On June 1st I set up my payment of $50.00 to be paid on June 5th. On June 5th I get an email alert from my bank that my account is -$1,363.93 because of my 'pending' $1688.01 payment to Chase. Three phone calls to Chase Customer Service Reps, they all say, they can't fix it, I messed it up, and the bank probably won't accept it. The bank said, "If you change the payment going through you have to pay overdraft fee, better off paying the stop payment fee." I did. How did I make a mistake like this??? My balance $1,700.60, so I didn't hit the 'pay balance', I don't see how the $50. was changed to $1688.01 by mistake. But of course Chase Customer Service claims it was my mistake.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Over the last 9 month my Chase United Airlines Mastercard for which I pay $ 450.00 and which has chip technology, has been compromised 3 times. In addition both cards were canceled by Chase, while I was out of the country for 4 weeks. In a lot of countries American Express is not accepted, so I carry a Visa and a MasterCard from Chase. I had checked with my Bank and was assured that I did not have to register my card for travel overseas. As I found out, because I tried to get cash in local currency from a Mexican Bank, both of my cards were canceled, without Chase informing me why.

When I tried to call the International Number I had to wait for 45 minutes till I was connected with someone in a calling center in the Philippines. This person kept reading from a script, and was absolutely not helpful or able to tell me why I could not use my card. (The print out I kept receiving when trying to withdraw cash was Access Denied, so I did not know that the cards had actually been canceled.) I kept asking to speak to a supervisor, but she told me she could not put me through. Finally I got another number from her to call. Here again long waiting time and other than the fact that my card had been canceled I was unable to get a solution to my problem. After returning home I complained to my bank manager, and she helped me to resolve the issue.

As far as compromised cards are concerned Chase does no expedite delivery within 24 hours, nor do they help in any other way. I had to wait for my Card a week or longer every time. AMEX by comparison had a card that was stolen in Paris delivered to my hotel there in 12 hours. Never in 48 years with AMEX have I had my card compromised, and I pay less for it annually then I pay for my Master and Visa Card from Chase. Disgusted with their service.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I called customer service and asked if I can apply for credit line increase. I was told that it is absolutely possible and I was not explained that requesting a credit line increase results in hard inquiry which badly affects credit score. Unlike Chase credit card, a credit line increase for most of credit card services, does not affect credit score and it doesn’t show up as hard inquiry. I feel bad both about their credit service and unfortunately about their customer service. Never recommend Chase credit to anyone.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I recently made a payment on my account with Chase. I check my bank account frequently so that I know what is going on. I noticed that the payment did not show up on my account. So I called to verify that the payment had been received. They said they had received it and that it would post Monday because it was a weekend. I checked my account and it looked like they took part of my payment but the full amount. I was confused but at least I knew the payment was made because it was on my statement.

Almost a week later I receive an email telling me my payment is late. I then call to learn my limit has been exceeded because the payment was "never made". I never saw anything putting the money back in my account but it does say on my statement that the money was taken by Chase. I communicate this to the customer service rep and he proceeds to tell me the payment was never made, and that is why my limit was exceeded. Despite me telling him what happened, all he did was talk at me and not look into why I'm saying what I'm saying. He was very flat that I hadn't made my payment, implying it was my fault the payment was missed, and to check with my bank. The most helpful thing he did was remove the late charge. So I'm thankful for that.

But he had zero sympathy and as Chase reps typically do, make it pretty clear that it's the customer's fault that they are in the situation they are in. Instead of doing what they can to get to the bottom of what the customer is saying/claiming as customer service reps should. I called back because when I hung up I was very upset and it sounded like the rep may have said something when I hung up. I got a new rep, who had more than likely spoken to the first, who was possibly more rude. I was genuinely distressed as to why balance was so high because I very much remember it being a lot lower. He literally told me "Because you spent *insert amount*, that is why it is so high". That is extremely rude. Especially when a customer is distressed enough. Does he really think I didn't know how much I spent? He was basically shaming me for how I use my card.

This is not my first bad experience with Chase Customer Service - namely the credit card customer service reps. They are extremely judgemental and have no empathy for their customers. Which are not the type of people who need to work in customer service. Besides that when I called back the rep had recorded that I'd spoken to someone before him. And yet when I told them I called them to ensure the payment went through, they did not acknowledge that they led me to believe my payment was made at all.

My other issue is why I had to find out a week later the payment didn't go through. After getting a late fee slapped on me. I could have resolved the issue much sooner if they were more competent and perhaps cared a little more. The way they speak to their customers always implies Chase is never at fault and usually accompanied with an accusatory tone. If I could close my account with them right now, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I'm trying to build my credit. I have a credit score of over 700. Credit Karma suggested this card to me, so I filled out an application and was approved on 4/26/18. On 5/3/18 I received a letter stating they've decided to close my account. I've had credit on my account for years and I've never missed a payment. Also I make 48000 a year, I also have more than the amount approved for in my bank. My problem is don't approve me and then close the account. They need to check all necessary requirements or whatever it is before approving. I understand they have the right to close any account they want but don't approve me first and then immediately close it. That's extremely unprofessional. I shouldn't have been approved in the first place then. I really don't appreciate this.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have had two credit cards with Chase for a long time, and I have had a 5 year car loan with Chase. I've carried the card in question over 10 years. I was sent a letter end of 2017 stating my interest rate would rise from the current 10% to > 15%, a 50% increase. The letter was confusing to say the least - I could reject the offer of the higher interest rate and apparently close my account or I am guessing the inverse would be to accept the offer of the lower rate and keep the lower rate??? To this day I do not understand the letter - like do 2 negatives make a positive? I have had this card for it must be 20 years and have never missed a payment, never had a late payment, and the same is true for the other card and the car loan.

I contacted the bank after receiving the jump in the interest rate and the agent didn't seem to care one way or the other about retaining me as a customer or even attempting to reduce the interest rate (most of my cards are maybe 12-13%). I closed one Chase Slate credit card account immediately and when asked why, explained the lack of customer service I was given - the agent said "Fine thank you. Your account is closed". I am closing my last credit card with Chase and making sure I have no other store accounts that link to Chase, if so I will close those as well. I will never recommend the Chase credit cards or accounts to friends or family, in fact I will share my story with anyone who cares to listen!

Original review: May 7, 2018

Received a solicitation offer from CHASE Bank telling me I was "pre-qualified" to apply for the CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card. I have been a CHASE Banking Member and CHASE Ink Credit Card holder for several years. Went to CHASE Credit Card site. Completed application. During the online data entry portion of the Freedom Unlimited Credit Card Application process, I was asked if I would like to include any "balance transfer" amounts. I replied YES, as I wanted to transfer a moderate balance from the old, previously-paid-off CHASE Ink Credit Card (approximately $1,900 dollars) to the new CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card. Upon completion of the online application, the CHASE / VISA site informed me "Congratulations! Your application has been approved". And I was informed I would be receiving my new CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card shortly by postal mail.

Received the new CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card a few days later. After agreeing to activate my new CHASE Freedom Unlimited VISA Card, and upon "activating" my new CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card by calling the appropriate phone number, I was informed my Balance Transfer had been "declined". This balance transfer which had been approved during my application process was the primary reason for me to agree to apply for this new credit card!!! Upon learning of the balance transfer amount being declined, I phoned and spoke to a CHASE Bank Credit Card representative. The CHASE Bank representative informed me it "it is the policy of Chase Bank not to permit balance transfers from one credit card to another credit card."

WHAT THE HELL?!? What kind of unscrupulous bait & switch scheme is this?!? So, as it is now obvious, this solicitation of me to apply for the so-called 'pre-approved' credit card from CHASE Bank is nothing more than a blatant, illegal, unethical bait & switch SCAM to encourage me and induce me to apply for yet another CHASE VISA Credit Card! So incredibly disappointed in CHASE Bank for this shady scheme. Will also be filing a formal complaint about this deceptive credit practice by CHASE Bank to the Federal Trade Commission, as well as the Federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau! Shame on you, CHASE Bank for being so shady and deceptive with existing long-time customers and credit consumers!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Beware of yet another Chase Scam. Called Chase Slate. They advertise that the terms are 15 months however after you use it they stamp a different date on it of 9 months to hit you with a surprise interest rate.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I got charged an annual fee for $95 on Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card on the second statement. Even the promo states that I would be waived the first year. I called customer service and they stated "I signed up for another promotion". When they send you information via mail for your card, they do not include the pricing and terms and instead give a pamphlet of benefits and rewards therefore, there is no proof that you signed up for that bonus except what is on line under pricing and terms. I called customer service but they claim that the promotion "could change as fast as one day".

Original review: April 30, 2018

I had a Chase Mileage Plus Explorer Credit Card and had been a member for since Dec16. In Jan18, I was charged an annual fee of $94. I requested Chase refund the fee and close the account. They refused to refund the fee so I kept the account open and began to use the card. I have a $25,000 card limit. In Feb18, I charged about $4000 on the card which was paid off via direct debit in full and on time. It was the first time I had ever used the card.

Chase then subsequently cancelled my card for "rapid increase in revolving balance." (Of course there was a rapid increase as I had never previously used the card. However, this cancellation seems unjustified as I used less than 20% of my overall limit and retired the balance in full at the end of the month). I contacted Chase requesting they either refund a pro-rata portion of the annual fee or reinstate my card but have been completely stone-walled by unempowered customer service representatives.

Since March, I have rung Chase 5 times and been referred to multiple different parties. I have also used their secure messaging facility and exchanged over 14 messages with them. All these contact mediums have done is refer me back and forth to one another. No single party is empowered to deal with this issue. I have also written to Chase Card Services, Executive Office, 3415 Vision Drive, Columbus, OH setting out my complaint. Not once, other than on the secure messaging site, has Chase ever contacted me about this matter. Not only was the action unjustified and effectively fraud but Chase is completely devoid of any sort of customer service ethos. United Airlines has been silly to expose their frequent flyers to these fraudsters.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I used a Discover card for years before getting my new Visa Southwest Airlines card through Chase very recently. They gave me a measly new card member bonus in points and statement credit, but shortly after I received an awesome new card member offer in the mail for the same card. I called them to ask if they would honor the better offer, and they said they would put a request in to the marketing department, which was then approved. Six phone calls and 8 months later, I was finally told that they "couldn't find" any phone calls in which I gave them the information they needed, and that it was now past the 90 period so they would not honor it.

THEN I was told that actually through all of the phone calls I made, the real problem was "not their understanding of the original issue". So I basically talked to six people and described the situation to all of them, only to find out that the issue wasn't recorded properly into my account and they didn't know that was the issue at all. Ultimately after having to argue with them for months (except for 2 very nice people I spoke with), they revoked all of my statement credits, resulting in only giving me half of the original offer they claimed they'd honor. It's been a nightmare switching from Discover's amazing customer service to a company who wants to give customers the runaround like Chase does. I wish I had never gotten this card.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Got my Chase Sapphire about 2 years. Things were fine until I had a dispute. I made a hotel reservation through Booking.com for Inn Hotel Hong Kong in May 2017 for a 3 days stay in November 2017. Booking.com advertised 'free cancellation' with big letters on their site. I booked a 4 night at Inn Hotel and inadvertently selected the first item (which was non-refundable) and also selected 4 nights instead of 3 nights. I went back to the site and wanted to changed the date but it was locked. It wouldn't allow me to change so I clicked the cancel button. It was a total nightmare. I got a message saying the penalty was the full amount.

I contacted Booking.com. They referred me to contact the hotel. I sent an email to the hotel but their English was so bad. They said something like they didn't get the authorization from the credit card and suggested that I contacted Booking.com. I immediately (with 24 hours) called Chase to alert about the transaction. I was told it would be fine. I was billed for the entire amount in November 2017 from the hotel for no show. I called Chase about the dispute. They said that they would credit me the amount. If the merchant didn't dispute that for 2 billing cycles, the credit would stay permanently.

It was over 2 billing cycles and in February 2018 Chase reversed the credit and billed me again. I have contacted Chase and talked to different people, explained my situation over and over again. They would not reverse the amount. I tried to solve the problem with Booking.com, and the hotel. They both gave me run-around. I didn't get any help from them. I had to dispute my item for the service I didn't use. Chase failed to help me.

Original review: April 6, 2018

They refused to reduce fraud charges on my 87 mother. They said it was a civil matter. The charges were made in a different city than where she resides. She does not drive or own a car. She doesn’t even own a computer. Worst customer. They are blaming my 87 year old mother when she is the victim!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I signed up for monthly parking at a garage and paid the initial month's fee (March 2018) online using Chase Freedom Card. At the same time I also applied for Commuter Card (a card through employer loaded with pretax dollars for parking) and planned to use it for my second month's parking fee (April 2018). However at the end of March when I was trying to schedule the payment for April online, I accidentally completed the transaction without being able to enter or verify any credit card information. I then realized the charge went on the Chase Freedom Card that I used once on that website before. For some reason it's been automatically stored after I initially used it. I intended to use my Commuter Card not the Chase card to pay for all parking fee so I immediately contacted the parking office to try to get the scheduled payment canceled since I was not able to do that online.

The person at the parking office provided no solution after two days. So I called Chase customer service to stop the payment. I was told the transaction is still pending and they won't do anything until it's posted. So I waited two days for it to be posted while continued communicating with the parking office about updates. It's been a week and I was transferred to talk to different persons by the parking office customer service and the incorrectly scheduled charge has not been fixed yet. I'm tired of spending hours with the parking office trying to get things fixed so I called Chase since the transaction is no longer pending now. However the customer representative asked me if I canceled my monthly parking.

Now it's April. Of course I didn't cancel the parking. I never intended to cancel it. I just wanted to use a different card to pay but the parking company website misled me during the transaction and charged to a credit card that I didn't authorize them to. She then said since I'm still parking there I received the service then it's a valid transaction we can't do anything. Technically speaking, when I first called Chase in late March I had not received the service (parking) yet. The customer service doesn't care either. Now I'm stuck with the merchant that never respond/take action and kept being redirected to a different person if I inquire about the status. Chase won't help protect its customer.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I'd had a Chase credit card for 34 years. The card was owned by different banks through the years from buyouts, etc. Chase owned it for the last 5-10 years or so. I received a letter from Chase telling me if I didn't start using my card they were going to close the account. So I immediately charged about $500 worth of stuff during Christmas holidays. They closed the account anyway. I called to complain and they said it was too late, the account was closed. They said I could open a new account if I wanted to. I said no. My credit score was around 825. After Chase closed my account it dropped to 750. I have a Chase Amazon card that I plan to close the account on soon.

Chase expert review by Beverly Harzog

Chase is the U.S. consumer and commercial banking subsidiary of  J.P. Morgan, which is a leading global financial services firm with assets worth $2.6 trillion. Chase has more than 5,300 branches and 15,500 ATMs. Cardholders can also bank online via mobile phones. The Chase brand is used for credit cards.

• No-transfer-fee balance transfer card: The Chase Slate card is one of the few cards on the market that waives this fee. But the fee is only waived for consumers who transfer their balances within the first 60 days of opening an account. After 60 days has passed, the fee is 3 percent. There’s also no annual fee on this card.

• Sign-up bonuses: Chase credit cards often have generous sign-up bonuses, but there’s usually a spending requirement to meet within a certain amount of time, which is usually around three months.

• Rewards: Chase offers a variety of rewards on many cards, including cash-back cards on everyday expenses, such as groceries and gas, travel rewards points, airline miles and more. Some cards offer extra points or cash back in specific categories. Each card has its own rules for rewards (for example, spending caps on bonus categories) so be sure you read the credit card agreement and the rewards program details very carefully. Also look at the redemption options to determine if the card is a good fit.

• Ink-brand business credit cards: Chase’s Ink-brand business cards are popular and offer a variety of rewards for small business owners.

• Excellent benefits and cost-saving features: A few Chase cards waive foreign transaction fees and some baggage fees. On some cards, you’ll find anniversary bonuses, airport lounge passes or memberships, 24/7 concierge services, 1:1 point transfer to popular frequent travel programs and more. Keep in mind that great perks usually come with annual fees. Chase also offers customers the opportunity to view their FICO scores online.

• Reputation: Chase is the number one credit card issuer in the United States based on loans outstanding. Also, Chase is number two in mortgages. For three years in a row, Chase has been the number one Small Business Association lender to women-and-minority-owned small businesses.

• Best for: Small business owners and those who have good-to-excellent credit. Those who have credit card debt, but still have good credit, could be helped by the Chase Slate balance transfer card.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Chase Credit Cards Company Information

Chase
270 Park Ave
New York
NY
www.chase.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business