1.14/5
Based on 91 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

4873 Chase Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 16, 2018

I was member of a Chase credit card since 2003, but didn’t use it much because unpleasant experience in the past. The past month I made a large purchase on the credit card, and had to dispute the transaction. On June 1 I faxed a request to open a dispute, and have a proof that the fax went through. On June 6, I contacted customer service, and was informed that they didn’t receive the fax. The same day I sent a message through Chase’s secure messaging with the request to open a case, and received a response: “We received your dispute for a transaction on your credit card account. We're working on it now, and we'll respond to you with a phone call or a letter through standard mail.”

On June 15 I contacted Chase customer service, and was informed that dispute case wasn’t opened, and dispute department never received my email. Chase bank is the most unprofessional and inconsiderate business. I had more problems with them than with all banks combined. I would NOT recommend to open Chase account.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My wallet was stolen. They drained my account. Called customer service and Gave them police report number and everything, based on their opinion. It was not fraud. Which it was. Clearly several different handwriting on a deposit slip. They say the joint holder, withdrew the money. Please someone tell me, if that was the case HOW COME HE WITHDREW OUT WITH MY NAME AND NOT HIS. (Flipping Dumbest ** I've ever heard). I also had someone hacked my joint acct holders card, we called about 4Xs in 6 months. The representative knew what happened and told us. But needed to talk to him, but he was working 7/16s hard for us to talk to them. It was too late, so I never got money back. My income tax completely disappeared and transactions taken out 2 checks ago are coming out this week's check. DO NOT USE CHASE!!! They flipping SUCK **!!! There are more details about this situation(s).

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I'm new to the credit world. I apply for a few credit card to start building credit. Got approved for Amex and Chase Freedom. So I decided to apply for another Chase card. My application was under review so they told me to wait. So while waiting I broke my iPhone 6 so went to get a new phone. To get the deal on a new phone I had to get a new line with a new number so that's what I did. After my new phone I call Chase to inform them that I have a new number. They sent me straight to fraud protection which I have no problem with. They said they need more verification so I went to Chase bank (which I have a checking account with) to have my ID fax from a Chase branch itself.

I call them 24 hr later to inform them that my information have been fax. They said just give them 7 days and they will get back to me via mail. Well within that 7 days they closed my only Chase credit card which I've paid on time and had a balance of $70. I'm not mad that my account is closed. I'm mad that my credit score will be affected from this nonsense. I will be closing my checking and anything else I have with Chase. Due to the fact that I've done nothing wrong and they closed my account before notifying me. What a PCS of **!!!

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've had my Chase Credit Card for less than 2 years. Thank heavens this is the first time this has happened. I make my payments their website. The choices of payment due June 8, 2018 was: Balance $1,700.60/minimum $48.00/choose $?. On June 1st I set up my payment of $50.00 to be paid on June 5th. On June 5th I get an email alert from my bank that my account is -$1,363.93 because of my 'pending' $1688.01 payment to Chase. Three phone calls to Chase Customer Service Reps, they all say, they can't fix it, I messed it up, and the bank probably won't accept it. The bank said, "If you change the payment going through you have to pay overdraft fee, better off paying the stop payment fee." I did. How did I make a mistake like this??? My balance $1,700.60, so I didn't hit the 'pay balance', I don't see how the $50. was changed to $1688.01 by mistake. But of course Chase Customer Service claims it was my mistake.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Over the last 9 month my Chase United Airlines Mastercard for which I pay $ 450.00 and which has chip technology, has been compromised 3 times. In addition both cards were canceled by Chase, while I was out of the country for 4 weeks. In a lot of countries American Express is not excepted, so I carry a Visa and a MasterCard from Chase. I had checked with my Bank and was assured that I did not have to register my card for travel overseas. As I found out, because I tried to get cash in local currency from a Mexican Bank, both of my cards were canceled, without Chase informing me why.

When I tried to call the International Number I had to wait for 45 minutes till I was connected with someone in a calling center in the Philippines. This person kept reading from a script, and was absolutely not helpful or able to tell me why I could not use my card. (The print out I kept receiving when trying to withdraw cash was Access Denied, so I did not know that the cards had actually been canceled.) I kept asking to speak to a supervisor, but she told me she could not put me through. Finally I got another number from her to call. Here again long waiting time and other than the fact that my card had been canceled I was unable to get a solution to my problem. After returning home I complained to my bank manager, and she helped me to resolve the issue.

As far as compromised cards are concerned Chase does no expedite delivery within 24 hours, nor do they help in any other way. I had to wait for my Card a week or longer every time. AMEX by comparison had a card that was stolen in Paris delivered to my hotel there in 12 hours. Never in 48 years with AMEX have I had my card compromised, and I pay less for it annually then I pay for my Master and Visa Card from Chase. Disgusted with their service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: May 27, 2018

I called customer service and asked if I can apply for credit line increase. I was told that it is absolutely possible and I was not explained that requesting a credit line increase results in hard inquiry which badly affects credit score. Unlike Chase credit card, a credit line increase for most of credit card services, does not affect credit score and it doesn’t show up as hard inquiry. I feel bad both about their credit service and unfortunately about their customer service. Never recommend Chase credit to anyone.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I recently made a payment on my account with Chase. I check my bank account frequently so that I know what is going on. I noticed that the payment did not show up on my account. So I called to verify that the payment had been received. They said they had received it and that it would post Monday because it was a weekend. I checked my account and it looked like they took part of my payment but the full amount. I was confused but at least I knew the payment was made because it was on my statement.

Almost a week later I receive an email telling me my payment is late. I then call to learn my limit has been exceeded because the payment was "never made". I never saw anything putting the money back in my account but it does say on my statement that the money was taken by Chase. I communicate this to the customer service rep and he proceeds to tell me the payment was never made, and that is why my limit was exceeded. Despite me telling him what happened, all he did was talk at me and not look into why I'm saying what I'm saying. He was very flat that I hadn't made my payment, implying it was my fault the payment was missed, and to check with my bank. The most helpful thing he did was remove the late charge. So I'm thankful for that.

But he had zero sympathy and as Chase reps typically do, make it pretty clear that it's the customer's fault that they are in the situation they are in. Instead of doing what they can to get to the bottom of what the customer is saying/claiming as customer service reps should. I called back because when I hung up I was very upset and it sounded like the rep may have said something when I hung up. I got a new rep, who had more than likely spoken to the first, who was possibly more rude. I was genuinely distressed as to why balance was so high because I very much remember it being a lot lower. He literally told me "Because you spent *insert amount*, that is why it is so high". That is extremely rude. Especially when a customer is distressed enough. Does he really think I didn't know how much I spent? He was basically shaming me for how I use my card.

This is not my first bad experience with Chase Customer Service - namely the credit card customer service reps. They are extremely judgemental and have no empathy for their customers. Which are not the type of people who need to work in customer service. Besides that when I called back the rep had recorded that I'd spoken to someone before him. And yet when I told them I called them to ensure the payment went through, they did not acknowledge that they led me to believe my payment was made at all.

My other issue is why I had to find out a week later the payment didn't go through. After getting a late fee slapped on me. I could have resolved the issue much sooner if they were more competent and perhaps cared a little more. The way they speak to their customers always implies Chase is never at fault and usually accompanied with an accusatory tone. If I could close my account with them right now, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I'm trying to build my credit. I have a credit score of over 700. Credit Karma suggested this card to me, so I filled out an application and was approved on 4/26/18. On 5/3/18 I received a letter stating they've decided to close my account. I've had credit on my account for years and I've never missed a payment. Also I make 48000 a year, I also have more than the amount approved for in my bank. My problem is don't approve me and then close the account. They need to check all necessary requirements or whatever it is before approving. I understand they have the right to close any account they want but don't approve me first and then immediately close it. That's extremely unprofessional. I shouldn't have been approved in the first place then. I really don't appreciate this.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have had two credit cards with Chase for a long time, and I have had a 5 year car loan with Chase. I've carried the card in question over 10 years. I was sent a letter end of 2017 stating my interest rate would rise from the current 10% to > 15%, a 50% increase. The letter was confusing to say the least - I could reject the offer of the higher interest rate and apparently close my account or I am guessing the inverse would be to accept the offer of the lower rate and keep the lower rate??? To this day I do not understand the letter - like do 2 negatives make a positive? I have had this card for it must be 20 years and have never missed a payment, never had a late payment, and the same is true for the other card and the car loan.

I contacted the bank after receiving the jump in the interest rate and the agent didn't seem to care one way or the other about retaining me as a customer or even attempting to reduce the interest rate (most of my cards are maybe 12-13%). I closed one Chase Slate credit card account immediately and when asked why, explained the lack of customer service I was given - the agent said "Fine thank you. Your account is closed". I am closing my last credit card with Chase and making sure I have no other store accounts that link to Chase, if so I will close those as well. I will never recommend the Chase credit cards or accounts to friends or family, in fact I will share my story with anyone who cares to listen!

Original review: May 7, 2018

Received a solicitation offer from CHASE Bank telling me I was "pre-qualified" to apply for the CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card. I have been a CHASE Banking Member and CHASE Ink Credit Card holder for several years. Went to CHASE Credit Card site. Completed application. During the online data entry portion of the Freedom Unlimited Credit Card Application process, I was asked if I would like to include any "balance transfer" amounts. I replied YES, as I wanted to transfer a moderate balance from the old, previously-paid-off CHASE Ink Credit Card (approximately $1,900 dollars) to the new CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card. Upon completion of the online application, the CHASE / VISA site informed me "Congratulations! Your application has been approved". And I was informed I would be receiving my new CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card shortly by postal mail.

Received the new CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card a few days later. After agreeing to activate my new CHASE Freedom Unlimited VISA Card, and upon "activating" my new CHASE Freedom Unlimited Credit Card by calling the appropriate phone number, I was informed my Balance Transfer had been "declined". This balance transfer which had been approved during my application process was the primary reason for me to agree to apply for this new credit card!!! Upon learning of the balance transfer amount being declined, I phoned and spoke to a CHASE Bank Credit Card representative. The CHASE Bank representative informed me it "it is the policy of Chase Bank not to permit balance transfers from one credit card to another credit card."

WHAT THE HELL?!? What kind of unscrupulous bait & switch scheme is this?!? So, as it is now obvious, this solicitation of me to apply for the so-called 'pre-approved' credit card from CHASE Bank is nothing more than a blatant, illegal, unethical bait & switch SCAM to encourage me and induce me to apply for yet another CHASE VISA Credit Card! So incredibly disappointed in CHASE Bank for this shady scheme. Will also be filing a formal complaint about this deceptive credit practice by CHASE Bank to the Federal Trade Commission, as well as the Federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau! Shame on you, CHASE Bank for being so shady and deceptive with existing long-time customers and credit consumers!

Original review: May 5, 2018

Beware of yet another Chase Scam. Called Chase Slate. They advertise that the terms are 15 months however after you use it they stamp a different date on it of 9 months to hit you with a surprise interest rate.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I got charged an annual fee for $95 on Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card on the second statement. Even the promo states that I would be waived the first year. I called customer service and they stated "I signed up for another promotion". When they send you information via mail for your card, they do not include the pricing and terms and instead give a pamphlet of benefits and rewards therefore, there is no proof that you signed up for that bonus except what is on line under pricing and terms. I called customer service but they claim that the promotion "could change as fast as one day".

Original review: April 30, 2018

I had a Chase Mileage Plus Explorer Credit Card and had been a member for since Dec16. In Jan18, I was charged an annual fee of $94. I requested Chase refund the fee and close the account. They refused to refund the fee so I kept the account open and began to use the card. I have a $25,000 card limit. In Feb18, I charged about $4000 on the card which was paid off via direct debit in full and on time. It was the first time I had ever used the card.

Chase then subsequently cancelled my card for "rapid increase in revolving balance." (Of course there was a rapid increase as I had never previously used the card. However, this cancellation seems unjustified as I used less than 20% of my overall limit and retired the balance in full at the end of the month). I contacted Chase requesting they either refund a pro-rata portion of the annual fee or reinstate my card but have been completely stone-walled by unempowered customer service representatives.

Since March, I have rung Chase 5 times and been referred to multiple different parties. I have also used their secure messaging facility and exchanged over 14 messages with them. All these contact mediums have done is refer me back and forth to one another. No single party is empowered to deal with this issue. I have also written to Chase Card Services, Executive Office, 3415 Vision Drive, Columbus, OH setting out my complaint. Not once, other than on the secure messaging site, has Chase ever contacted me about this matter. Not only was the action unjustified and effectively fraud but Chase is completely devoid of any sort of customer service ethos. United Airlines has been silly to expose their frequent flyers to these fraudsters.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I used a Discover card for years before getting my new Visa Southwest Airlines card through Chase very recently. They gave me a measly new card member bonus in points and statement credit, but shortly after I received an awesome new card member offer in the mail for the same card. I called them to ask if they would honor the better offer, and they said they would put a request in to the marketing department, which was then approved. Six phone calls and 8 months later, I was finally told that they "couldn't find" any phone calls in which I gave them the information they needed, and that it was now past the 90 period so they would not honor it.

THEN I was told that actually through all of the phone calls I made, the real problem was "not their understanding of the original issue". So I basically talked to six people and described the situation to all of them, only to find out that the issue wasn't recorded properly into my account and they didn't know that was the issue at all. Ultimately after having to argue with them for months (except for 2 very nice people I spoke with), they revoked all of my statement credits, resulting in only giving me half of the original offer they claimed they'd honor. It's been a nightmare switching from Discover's amazing customer service to a company who wants to give customers the runaround like Chase does. I wish I had never gotten this card.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Got my Chase Sapphire about 2 years. Things were fine until I had a dispute. I made a hotel reservation through Booking.com for Inn Hotel Hong Kong in May 2017 for a 3 days stay in November 2017. Booking.com advertised 'free cancellation' with big letters on their site. I booked a 4 night at Inn Hotel and inadvertently selected the first item (which was non-refundable) and also selected 4 nights instead of 3 nights. I went back to the site and wanted to changed the date but it was locked. It wouldn't allow me to change so I clicked the cancel button. It was a total nightmare. I got a message saying the penalty was the full amount.

I contacted Booking.com. They referred me to contact the hotel. I sent an email to the hotel but their English was so bad. They said something like they didn't get the authorization from the credit card and suggested that I contacted Booking.com. I immediately (with 24 hours) called Chase to alert about the transaction. I was told it would be fine. I was billed for the entire amount in November 2017 from the hotel for no show. I called Chase about the dispute. They said that they would credit me the amount. If the merchant didn't dispute that for 2 billing cycles, the credit would stay permanently.

It was over 2 billing cycles and in February 2018 Chase reversed the credit and billed me again. I have contacted Chase and talked to different people, explained my situation over and over again. They would not reverse the amount. I tried to solve the problem with Booking.com, and the hotel. They both gave me run-around. I didn't get any help from them. I had to dispute my item for the service I didn't use. Chase failed to help me.

Original review: April 6, 2018

They refused to reduce fraud charges on my 87 mother. They said it was a civil matter. The charges were made in a different city than where she resides. She does not drive or own a car. She doesn’t even own a computer. Worst customer. They are blaming my 87 year old mother when she is the victim!

Original review: April 3, 2018

I signed up for monthly parking at a garage and paid the initial month's fee (March 2018) online using Chase Freedom Card. At the same time I also applied for Commuter Card (a card through employer loaded with pretax dollars for parking) and planned to use it for my second month's parking fee (April 2018). However at the end of March when I was trying to schedule the payment for April online, I accidentally completed the transaction without being able to enter or verify any credit card information. I then realized the charge went on the Chase Freedom Card that I used once on that website before. For some reason it's been automatically stored after I initially used it. I intended to use my Commuter Card not the Chase card to pay for all parking fee so I immediately contacted the parking office to try to get the scheduled payment canceled since I was not able to do that online.

The person at the parking office provided no solution after two days. So I called Chase customer service to stop the payment. I was told the transaction is still pending and they won't do anything until it's posted. So I waited two days for it to be posted while continued communicating with the parking office about updates. It's been a week and I was transferred to talk to different persons by the parking office customer service and the incorrectly scheduled charge has not been fixed yet. I'm tired of spending hours with the parking office trying to get things fixed so I called Chase since the transaction is no longer pending now. However the customer representative asked me if I canceled my monthly parking.

Now it's April. Of course I didn't cancel the parking. I never intended to cancel it. I just wanted to use a different card to pay but the parking company website misled me during the transaction and charged to a credit card that I didn't authorize them to. She then said since I'm still parking there I received the service then it's a valid transaction we can't do anything. Technically speaking, when I first called Chase in late March I had not received the service (parking) yet. The customer service doesn't care either. Now I'm stuck with the merchant that never respond/take action and kept being redirected to a different person if I inquire about the status. Chase won't help protect its customer.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I'd had a Chase credit card for 34 years. The card was owned by different banks through the years from buyouts, etc. Chase owned it for the last 5-10 years or so. I received a letter from Chase telling me if I didn't start using my card they were going to close the account. So I immediately charged about $500 worth of stuff during Christmas holidays. They closed the account anyway. I called to complain and they said it was too late, the account was closed. They said I could open a new account if I wanted to. I said no. My credit score was around 825. After Chase closed my account it dropped to 750. I have a Chase Amazon card that I plan to close the account on soon.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Shady Chase Ultimate Rewards Program is making me re-think about using Chase card and even having this card open. I booked a Car via the Ultimate rewards program using the points. During the booking the "Rules, Policies, Cancellations" mentioned that a cancellation fee equal to one day of rental will be applied if cancelled within 3 days of booking but was not mentioned anywhere that this fees will be charged to the credit card and will not be deducted from the points used for booking the car rental.

When I called to cancel, the arrogant agent says that they are not required to mention this during booking and will only tell the customers when they call for cancelling the reservation. I kept asking her why they are not required to mention this information while booking or in which terms and conditions they have mentioned that the fees will be charged to the card and cannot be paid with the points even when the booking is done solely with points. She just kept repeating the same message again and again that they don't have to disclose the information at the booking time and threatening that either have the fees charged to the credit card or lose all the points.

I wouldn't have cared about the credit card points if this card didn't have an annual fee. Charging card holders annual fee and then threatening them that you don't have to disclose how the cancellation fee will be charged ahead of time and asking them to just suck it up and pay the fees or lose the points is not the behavior of an ethical company.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I got a Chase Reserve card two years ago having an excellent credit score. Since then, I had no late payments or high spending on this. One month ago I applied for Chase Marriott and Chase British Airways - cards. I already knew those cards as an "authorized user" from my partner account. A computer glitch made my applications sent before time to review and check mark for “authorized user” with these cards. Chase analysts asked and check my credit report with these two cards already under my name -but again they did not mention "authorized user" –level of cards usage. Next Chase took decision not only to deny my applications, but to cancel my other account Chase Reserve card.

I called several time number provided for review, get busy several times but finally get in touch with them. I did not argue on their decision, even I consider this a bad one. I have an excellent credit history with them and my credit score near 800. I concur with Chase that is their sole decision how to handle their credit. Also I concur with several people ideas about Chase customer care and I decided to avoid having business with Chase. I called them and asked about a refund of my yearly fee of $450 since I cannot use my card and benefits this year. The "supervisor " in charge stated the custom policy --they cannot refund because I overpass the deadline of 30 days from fee payment date--.

Under normal circumstances I will not argue further, but I did not initiate account close, I did not intended to ask for a yearly fee refund until some 15 days ago when I get the Chase email with Chase Reserve closed –news. Was logical to me since they did not need my business they will refund at least a pro-rata amount from yearly fee. But who cares about logic these days??? Since the people in charge is reading from a script with zero customer skills input I’m looking forward to the days when YOU will get in touch with Chase and a robot with 10 pre-recorded phrases will welcome you and goodbye you.

I spent hours over the phone with them for my refund. They had several ways to solve the issue –On their own Chase Reserve card benefits was a way to offset the charge “Receive up to $300 in statement credits annually as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card. “You think they did so? Please make sure you avoid Chase at all costs and stay away, choose not Chase, with better banks. There are plenty out there …

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have had a Chase credit card for many years (it was formerly another company that was taken over by Chase; now it’s a Chase Sapphire card). Several years ago, I joined the board of directors for our cooperative, and when registering as an officer of the co-op with Chase Bank (with whom the co-op dealt), I used my credit card as identity. Following that, they linked my credit card reward program to the co-op accounts without asking or notifying me, so that if I was not very careful, I might accidentally redeem my cash back as a deposit to those accounts instead of my own.

That seems a highly inappropriate process, especially for a financial institution as large and established as Chase. I have tried having those accounts “unlinked” by lengthy phone and online communications without success. The online responses have been evasive at best, ducking the question or pretending to misunderstand. The service personnel on the phone first tried saying it was something I did, and when that didn’t succeed, simply told me nothing could be done. So, I am not yet quite prepared to give up the credit card (close though!), but I am certain I will never, ever open any new accounts with Chase.

Original review: March 18, 2018

After making an accidental payment to Chase, I contacted their customer support to get it refunded. On the 13th of March I mailed in all paperwork that I was told was needed to get the process started. It is now the 17th and I was told it wasn't started because of paperwork that was missing; paperwork that was NEVER asked for to begin with. NOW I had told to submit that paperwork and the process will start. This is totally unacceptable!!! 6 reps later and I am still in the same spot with CHASE FREEDOM BANK.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I had a merchant fail to complete a job. When a mover drove away leaving my stuff (much of it broken) in the driveway, I filed a dispute for a portion of what I paid. The movers extorted money from me by threatening to sell my things, damaged many things, threatened me physically, damaged my driveway and landscaping with their truck, and left my things in my driveway in the rain. I had to pay another set of men to complete the move. After sending multiple letters, pictures, copies of checks, etc. Chase would not stand with a customer. Even though that same customer has had large balances, multiple mortgages and many accounts with them for over 40 years. They screwed me and I will never bank with them again. PayPal has treated me better much better. Worse customer service than Wells Fargo, and that is saying something.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have 2 Chase credit cards. I have made payments every month on time - EVERY month. I received notice that they have significantly reduced my credit limits on both cards due to the fact that I have other credit accounts. Given the fact that I have never made a late payment on their accounts, my other credit card accounts, mortgage, auto or any other debt obligation I have nor have I spent over the limit either this "policy" pisses me off because they have knowingly significantly increased my debt ration thus reducing my credit score with no regard. This is not a sign of client appreciation, rather a clear picture that we are just a number on paper to them. As a realtor I'm asked about credit and "which credit card should I get". While I never make specific recommendations I will ensure that I share my negative experience with Chase credit cards with them!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I called Chase credit card because I had problems accessing my account online; the system automatically verifies you when you enter the account number and some other info specific to the caller... But when I get customer service on the line, these people will only give their first name. I asked for some further type of ID, either an employee number or last name and CHASE EMPLOYEES ARE SO UNPROFESSIONAL. THEY WON'T GIVE FURTHER ID! When I ask for a supervisor, they say "None is available".

\

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Case customer for about 14 years. Have never had a reason to switch. Make all my purchases on my Chase Freedom Card and pay the full amount monthly with auto pay from my credit union account thus earning cash rewards. Why use a debit card or carry large amounts of cash or hold up the line writing a check for my purchases. Have had some unauthorized charges which when reported were immediately removed and new credit cards issued. I guess 14 years of being satisfied speaks for itself.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I have been using Chase Visa for over 10 years. I've taken advantage of the balance transfer promotions several times. Today I noticed they would charge interest on new purchases unless the All balances (the transfer and new purchases) are paid in full, even though you pay the balance transfer fee (3 - 5%) and the transferred balance does not incur interest a period of time (1 year for this promotion). All payments would only apply to the transfer balance, and not new purchases because they charge interest on new/old purchases unless all balances paid in full. Good thing, I got just under $30 new purchases which they charge $.27 per month. I'll stop using this credit card until the all balances paid off. I'll not use this card this card for anything else.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I currently have two Chase credit cards and they have been a good source of cash rewards. Customer service has always been courteous and efficient and has gone out of their way to assist in any way requested. Received a year without any interest on purchases when first obtaining the credit card itself.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have had two credit cards with Chase for a long time, and I have my mortgage with Chase. I've carried the card in question since 1993. Received a letter a couple months ago stating my interest rate would rise from the current 10% to > 15%, a 50% increase. I have had this card for nearly 25 years and have never missed a payment, never had a late payment, and my current balance is about 23% of my limit. I contacted the bank after receiving the letter and the agent didn't seem to be aware of the letter when checking my file, and told me to wait and there was no guarantee the rate increase would go through. Well it did, so I contacted them again via phone.

When you call you have to go through an army of front-line "specialists" who give you the usual canned "we care about you as a customer" schtick but have no authority to actually do anything about an issue like this, so I asked to speak with her manager. I talked to a very terse and matter of fact guy and told him I didn't think it was fair to have my interests rates raised 50% when I was a longtime 25-year card holder with zero issues with holding up my end of the contract. He said that rates were being changed to fall in line with current interest rates and that they would not lower them. I told him that was not correct since my other Chase card's interest rate is 4.5%. His response was "well we might change that one too". I told him he could close the account and he said "well sorry you feel that way but I'll have to honor your request". I told him I didn't see how it benefitted Chase to raise interest rates if it meant losing a customer altogether. He said nothing.

Wrote an email the next day to their customer service, and got a short canned reply back - "I see you've already closed your account, thanks for being a Chase customer," etc. These people put up a front as if they care and value customers, but have ZERO loyalty. I am really frustrated and disappointed, and expected a lot better. It's all about the bottom dollar to them in the long run, and there is no reward for managing your finances responsibly. I promptly opened another credit card account online with another bank at a lower interest rate, and got approved in about 30 seconds. I guess my business doesn't really matter to Chase at all.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I paid off in full 2 Chase credit cards 5 days before the due date and was charged over $200 dollars interest 3 days after the due date. Scott the supervisor in customer service says it’s because the previous months had a balance. I also paid off a Bank of America and Total Comenity card and they gave me credits. Chase claims it’s a revolving credit and credit accrues as soon as you use it. You’ll never pay it off if that’s the case. I won’t be using it anymore as soon as I use up my 200,000 points.

Chase expert review by Beverly Harzog

Chase is the U.S. consumer and commercial banking subsidiary of  J.P. Morgan, which is a leading global financial services firm with assets worth $2.6 trillion. Chase has more than 5,300 branches and 15,500 ATMs. Cardholders can also bank online via mobile phones. The Chase brand is used for credit cards.

• No-transfer-fee balance transfer card: The Chase Slate card is one of the few cards on the market that waives this fee. But the fee is only waived for consumers who transfer their balances within the first 60 days of opening an account. After 60 days has passed, the fee is 3 percent. There’s also no annual fee on this card.

• Sign-up bonuses: Chase credit cards often have generous sign-up bonuses, but there’s usually a spending requirement to meet within a certain amount of time, which is usually around three months.

• Rewards: Chase offers a variety of rewards on many cards, including cash-back cards on everyday expenses, such as groceries and gas, travel rewards points, airline miles and more. Some cards offer extra points or cash back in specific categories. Each card has its own rules for rewards (for example, spending caps on bonus categories) so be sure you read the credit card agreement and the rewards program details very carefully. Also look at the redemption options to determine if the card is a good fit.

• Ink-brand business credit cards: Chase’s Ink-brand business cards are popular and offer a variety of rewards for small business owners.

• Excellent benefits and cost-saving features: A few Chase cards waive foreign transaction fees and some baggage fees. On some cards, you’ll find anniversary bonuses, airport lounge passes or memberships, 24/7 concierge services, 1:1 point transfer to popular frequent travel programs and more. Keep in mind that great perks usually come with annual fees. Chase also offers customers the opportunity to view their FICO scores online.

• Reputation: Chase is the number one credit card issuer in the United States based on loans outstanding. Also, Chase is number two in mortgages. For three years in a row, Chase has been the number one Small Business Association lender to women-and-minority-owned small businesses.

• Best for: Small business owners and those who have good-to-excellent credit. Those who have credit card debt, but still have good credit, could be helped by the Chase Slate balance transfer card.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Chase Credit Cards Company Information