WEN by Chaz Dean

Foothill Ranch, CA

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was recently telling my family how I couldn't understand the hair loss on the front and the thinning of my hair. I color my hair but don't use peroxide etc. I use a temporary color like a rinse. So why did it break off in front and thinning a lot. I was thinking am I sick? Then someone made a Joke about Wen. And I said "OMG. I use that!" They said that was old news. I hadn't heard until now. So what do I do? Go to the Dermatologist? Or what?

I love how the WEN shampoo made my hair feel, but had to stop using it due to MUCH hair loss and excruciating scalp pimples. These pimples felt like fire ant bites! All red and pus up like a fire ant bite. Well I called WEN to cancel my membership, they were polite and sent me two different other ones to try free of charge. Said they'll go ahead and cancel but leave it active for two weeks to try the other two to see if it was the fragrance irritating my scalp. If I didn't reordered after two weeks they'd close my membership which they did due to the same problem continuing. So up in the pantry it went and back to Pantene Shampoo. Well I ran out of shampoo and pulled out the WEN from the pantry.

Again I love how it makes my hair feel, but the next day those dang painful fire ant bite like pimples are back and running a brush through your hair is not happening w/o running those bristles across those pimples. I figured I was allergic because I pretty much have adverse reactions to all medications, anesthesia and aspartame, and household cleaners and perfumes shut my breathing down due to asthma. But never a reaction to soaps including laundry soaps, or shampoos & conditioners. But I noticed after months of not using it and pimple-free, that just after three uses the hair loss in the drain was back again, and those OMG dreadful scalp pimples. It's not going back in the pantry, it's going in the trash!!! Gone with the WEN forever and frankly my dear I don't give a damn about this product!

I am going bald after using this product. The anxiety of taking a shower or doing my hair is off the charts and finding chunks of hair everywhere is a constant reminder of what I look like. I also experienced a debilitating headache for seven weeks while using this product. I want to know where I can get my own testing done on the left over product so that I know what I have been exposed to.

My daughter received a bottle of WEN cleansing conditioner at Beautycon in Dallas Texas along with many other products from multiple hair and makeup vendors. I have always wanted to try this product to see if it would help give some body to my hair as advertised on the website and commercials. I never purchased this product. I started using the shampoo March 2016 washing my hair every 3 days. In the beginning my hair appeared to be fuller. In April I began noticing that my hair was becoming thinner on the right side and top of my scalp. I continued to use the WEN cleansing conditioner every 3 days until 8/19/2016, I stopped using the product after reading about other consumers having hair loss and the FDA released safety alert with use of the WEN cleansing conditioner. I have been complaining to family members about losing my hair and what could I be doing to cause my hair to fall out by the handful or a massive amount of hair in my brush.

When I finished reading the safety alert from the FDA and accounts of other consumers complaints of hair loss I came to the conclusion the only change I've made over the last 5 months was using the WEN cleansing conditioner. I have difficulty looking in the mirror at my hair because it is so short and thin. I am devastated and just sick that my hair which was once naturally wavy and manageable, is now thinner and shorter on my right side. My hair in back of my head is a thin stringy mess. I still have hair falling out everywhere, after brushing my hair this morning I started crying at the clumps I found in my brush. What can I do? I'm going to have to wear a wig. I trusted the WEN product and it has brought me nothing but an emotional breakdown and a lack of self-confidence because of the way I look now.

I have four bottles of WEN that were purchased in 2014. I expected my hair to be better. I found that using WEN caused my hair to fall out and look like straw. This product took a full head of hair and reduced it to very thin and no shine. I wish I had never seen nor heard of this product. I want some help as this product ruined my hair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WEN by Chez Dean?

2 truths: First bottle of Wen shampoo did make my hair look better. Second bottle of Wen shampoo did make my hair fall out and gave me scaly scalp. Thankfully I stopped using it before I went bald, but initial damage is still visible. These women are telling the truth.

Wish there was something I could do about the situation with my hair since exclusively using Wen products. My hair has been thinning at a rapid rate for the past few years and I figured it was my diet or overall health. When I theorized it might be the Wen cleansing conditioner, I tried a different scent than my usual hoping I could come to a conclusion within a year or so. No change. The hair loss is so scary, that I am worried that it is too sparse and fine to even hold hair extensions. QVC owes us all recompense who have bought Wen through them.

I started using Wen hair product in late 2013 and all of 2014 and in 2015 my hair loss got worse. I am now almost bald. It doesn't seem fair that you pay a good deal of money to a product and then to have hair loss at such a young age. Very disappointed. Would never use the product again and I would like to return it for a full refund.

I don't know what all these people are talking about!! I have been using Wen for at least 5 years & haven't had a problem at all! I've taken very good care of my hair my entire life and this product has only helped! I use it differently than most people, but it is amazing and my hair is beautiful! People are always asking me what I use and lately when I tell them I use Wen, they have been telling me about all the bad publicity. I seriously don't understand. I only use Wen once a week, unless I am noticing a really bad "other" product buildup, then I use it twice a week. I wash with my regular shampoo first and then use the Wen. I also use the styling creme every day. My daughters also use Wen, because I've given it to them. They haven't had a problem either. So, I'm hoping my review will help!

Don't use it, I used Wen for two years never thinking it was the cause of my hair loss. It did make it softer and more manageable but at a great cost - money and hair wise.

I started using them about a year ago and I noticed in the shower that my hair was coming out. Every time I wouldn't brush it I would have Globs of hair coming out. You would find in my hair all over around the house. It was constantly just sitting out and coming out. I do not recommend this product to anybody.

I started using WEN products approx. 4 years ago... Since, I have lost a lot of hair!!! Mind you, I have very thick, long hair... But, it's not nearly as thick as before using Wen Shampoos and conditioners... Also, I noticed a lot of breakage, no shine anymore. :(( Also, my hair isn't growing like before using this WEN product/ products... PS. If anyone has Wen products in their home, throw them out... I placed in 3 trash bags just to be safe in case it leaked out... Good luck all... BTW if anyone has the name of a good attorney... please send my way. Thanks.

Started using sweet almond mint and noticed significant hair loss. I decided to contact Chaz Dean and noticed the lawsuits associated with his product. I have been using his product for approximately three years. Just recently I started using sweet almond mint. It was this particular one that caused the significant hair loss. I will definitely stop using this product. I also have a few of his gallon products and will lose money however this is better than going bald!

Used Wen hair products 2014-2015. Noticed a lot of hair in my brush and in the shower drain. Decided to stop using but I guess it was too late. I'm 22 years old and I'm noticeably going bald. I no longer enjoy outdoor activities and I'm constantly trying to hide inside the comfort of my home. I have to force myself to continue going to work and college is now out of the question. My husband says he won't leave me if I go completely bald.

I have had thick hair for all my life. About three years ago I started using WEN. After about a year I stopped and noticed that my hair was no longer soft. Hair stylists had often commented on how soft my hair was, so I went back to WEN I purchase at a retail store. I NEVER subscribe to products. The WEN once again made my hair soft for the last two years. I do not lose any more hair than I ever did. Three days ago at the dermatologist, he was checking my scalp and said, "Wow what a head of hair, I am half your age (75) and have half the hair." There are many reasons people lose hair but WEN certainly hasn't affected mine.

I started using Wen about a year or so ago. Maybe a little longer. At first, I loved it, the smell, thought I was feeling a difference. I had the autoship so because I didn't use it everyday I had to cancel the autoship with so many bottles sitting around. Anyway, shortly after I started using Wen, I started to develop a rash behind my neck. Constantly itchy, flaky, inflamed skin. Then, I started to develop a rash all over my scalp. Flaky, super itchy and noticed my hair wasn't as thick as it used to be. I can see the difference in my front hairline, where more skin is seen than hair. And I always had THICK hair! My hair also feels extremely thin now as if I have lost a lot of it. I grew up with very thick, curly hair and never had this problem.

I stopped using the products and the rash on the back of my neck slowly started to get better, but I am still dealing with the loss of my hair. I never pinpointed it on the product until I realized that when I stopped using it I felt a bit of relief. So very dissatisfied with this product and I am thankful I never let my daughter use this stuff more than once. (And that was because she ran out of her products.) I will NEVER trust this brand/name again.

Sister recommended product at our Father's funeral service in 2012. Started using in August 2012. Hair felt soft after first use. After several uses noticed hair was less thick, lots of hair in the comb and drain. Did not attribute it to hair product at first because of other things in my. Family noticed a large bald spot in the back of my head in 2013 and stopped using product in November 2013. It is now August 2016. Hair has not grown back and area of baldness is approximately 4 inches from my forehead to the top of my head and about 4 inches across wide.

The last 4 years has been a journey of multiple blood tests and addressing lifestyle and still losing hair. Now looking back, the only thing I can relate it to is WEN hair care cleansing conditioner which I originally started using in 2010 to avoid the harsh effect of shampoo on the hair. I had bunches of hair and bald spots appear for 2 years till I stopped using the product. Can't believe the product was not tested before being launched for use of public. Hair has never been the same since.

Last year, a neighbor gave me a bottle of Wen shampoo. I'd always been skeptical of using a product promoted by a cosmetologist who constantly wears a hat. I'm a trained cosmetologist, so I read the ingredients before using it. They seemed innocuous enough, even though I thought it a bit gimmicky... Non lathering didn't bother me. I questioned the cleansing and conditioning in one step. I exercise daily which culminates in a shower and hair washing. I used Wen for a few weeks, then returned to using my usual shampoo. I diluted the Wen and continued to use it as a rinse. I do this with all my conditioners. It's easier to comb detangle my long hair in the shower with the conditioner still in, then quick rinse.

I was planning a cross country move at about that time and attributed the excessive hair loss to the stress or delayed post menopause hair loss. The hair loss continued even after I settled into my new home. When I heard about this current lawsuit, I immediately tossed the Wen out and resumed using my old shampoo (Suave). To my amazement, my hair loss has subsided. I still lose some hair. I know that is normal, especially because of the length. My advice. Save your money. Don't believe the hype offered by "actors/actresses". A paid advertisement is just that!

EVERY SINGLE PERSON that has exposure to the Wen product sees both wonderful and horrendous results. I, also, continue to get Invoices and Bills, when the subscription was cancelled months ago and I have received no new product.

I purchased Wen products mid last year of 2015. I tried it and my hair was dull and lack-luster. I thought maybe I used too much or too little, so I continued to use Wen. I felt tingling as I used the full line of care products and thought it was because of the mint. After a few uses I noticed my hair was thinning and breaking. I was coming out in large gobs; it would be in the shower; on the floor in the bathroom when I styled my hair and on my pillow.

I thought maybe my body was low on vitamins and had it by my primary physician, and my vitamin levels checked out fine. That is when I realized Wen was the only change in my habits and it was causing my hair to fall out at a rapid rate. Since I stopped using Wen, my hair stopped breaking so much. However, I think permanent damage has been cause, because my one thick, shiny, healthy hair; continues to be dull and doesn't grow as it once had. I would never recommend this to anyone and will never purchase again.

I called into the company because of my hair falling out. I was also told it was because of my age. I even tried to cancel the order. It took me 4 calls and a threat to seek legal help to stop the order. Ever since I used the product my hair has not been the same. It has thinned out and I find small bald spots all over. I only used it for a short time. It did nothing for me from day one. I called the company and was told I have to give it a month before I would see anything. That was told to me even after I told them I hated their product.

While using this product I noticed that my hair was coming out in large chunks, it would actually get more mangled and have a quite a few more knots than normal. so I would brush it out, and brush out huge volumes of hair. Plus it also weighed my hair down and made it feel greasy and thick. I do not recommend this product for anybody, I purchased many products and I purchased a variety of Wen products from the whole seasonal collection to all the styling products Hairspray and multiple other things but now it's just sitting in a box going to waste and a lot of wasted money. I have lavender, mint, all the seasonal products like fall, summer, spring, and winter. I've also got the styling gel, hair spray, leave in conditioners. I just hope others find out that this product has many flaws and can get a better product. Thank you.

I've been using WEN products for about three years now, and two years ago I noticed my hair was falling out like crazy! Hair all over the place! I asked my doctor why this could be happening and she had no idea since my blood tests were all normal. Then I find out that I'm not the only one that is losing my hair after using WEN products! I will never use any of their products ever again. My hair is so thin now! I'm very upset with the makers of WEN! I've always had very thick hair and now I don't!

I was given WEN hair products as a gift as my sister couldn't use all the product sent to her on the automatic mailing plan. At first I thought it was a great product, then my hair started just dropping out. My husband noticed handfuls in the shower, then I noticed hair everywhere, on the floor, my clothing, my hairbrushes, etc. I mentioned it to my doctor and also to my hair stylist. Both of them were confused as to what could be the issue and then I stumbled upon this article. I've used the product for about 6 months now and the hair loss started a couple of months after I began using it. I've always had thick, wavy hair and never had an issue like this - not even when I was on a low dose of chemotherapy. I won't use it again but WHAT IS IN THIS PRODUCT that has made me lose more hair in a few months than I have lost in 2 years of chemo? I hope there is not more serious damage that has taken place within my body... I am reporting this to the authorities.

I ordered WEN a few years ago through his television commercial. I thought it was supposed to be great for your hair but as I started using it I noticed my hair was coming out while I wash washing it. At first I didn't think anything of it but later on I noticed how much thinner my hair had become! The top of it is especially thin! I think someone needs to look into WEN because it ruined my hair.

I spent a lot of money on the WEN product line. At first I liked how soft my hair was. I went to my long-time hairdresser and she asked me what I had been doing differently. My first thought was that she was going to tell me my hair was in better condition... but that was not the case. She told me my hair was breaking and showed me several spots that had thinned out. I have fine hair, so I didn't notice it until she pointed out. I continued to use WEN, because I didn't think that had anything to do with it. After a couple more visits to the hairdresser she told me to QUIT USING THE WEN. She has now told me months later that my hair is improving again. I have a lot of unused WEN in my basement.

I used this product for a short amount of time probably 4-6 months. Stopped because my hair was literally coming out in clumps while showering/brushing. I called the company asking if it could be possible it's happening from the shampoo & was assured there's no way it's because of WEN. I did keep using it after because I figured if there was a problem they would have maybe said "it's a rare side effect. Stop using it & check with your doctor." I have questioned my dr a couple of times & was told to get a MRI. I was frightened thinking maybe I had a brain tumor or something Because I had bald spots.

My hair was always thick but now it's thin & frail. I don't wanna do anything. It's depressing to walk around with bald spots on your head especially for a woman. I'm also having vision problems since I used WEN. I have always had 20/20 vision but now blurred vision & focusing problems. Headache just about everyday. I've not had any of these problems till I used WEN.

I bought WEN conditioner for my entire family from QVC. I then cancelled my auto-shipment after the first bottle when I noticed that my hair was falling out in bunches. I thought I was sick. I started taking hair vitamins but as soon as I threw the bottle out and stopped using it, my hair started growing again. I thought it was because my hair is color processed but it also happened to my oldest daughter and youngest daughter as well. I don't think you can use this product if your hair is chemically processed and there is something in it like a straightener or maybe like green tea that stimulates the scalp but causes a lot of itching and eventually hair loss. My hair was at my neck when I stopped using it in May 2016 and now my hair is in the middle of my back. I don't even need vitamins. Don't use this product if you like your hair!

Made my head itch and developed sores. It was terrible. Never again. He should be ashamed of his product.

WEN by Chaz Dean Company Profile