WEN by Chaz Dean

Foothill Ranch, CA

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I think I have been using these products for about 4 to 5 years. I thought I never had any issues until around Memorial Day weekend 2016. During our vacation weekend, it was really nice and sunny and I thought I burnt my scalp out on our boat. Then it became very itchy towards the front of my head. The burning and itchy feeling have not gone away yet it 6/7/16. I have been in Florida in the hot sun before and burnt my scalp and it goes away pretty fast, it just a different itchy burning feeling.

Today after washing my hair with WEN as I have in the past, the itchy burning feeling was still there. I also leave it in my hair and don't wash it out. I have very thick and curly hair and the product was great til now. I knew about the claims of losing hair and the lawsuit, so I decided like the others to research it. Some of these women have horror stories, and I read about the itchy creepy feeling people had on their heads, it was describing me.

As far as hair loss goes, I have lost hair around the top crown part of my head that I had noticed a while ago and thought it was just my age 54 and I do have lots of hair in my brush but thank god not clumps. Now that I developed this itchy burning feeling and read these reviews I will STOP USING THIS PRODUCT. I hope my hair doesn't thin anymore in that area or start in a different area. Going to have to find a different shampoo and conditioner... I really did like the product, but do think it is started to affect me more than I realized.

2 years ago I ordered my first bottle of WEN. I used the product as directed and the first time was luxurious. My hair was beautiful. The second time, my hair was a little heavier and didn't seem to rinse out as well. The third time my hair started to fall out as I would run my fingers through it. Not one or two strands of hair like usual, but 30 or 40 strands. My hair looked flat and I stopped using the product. My hair loss continued. I went to my doctor who did blood tests and a hormone check. All tests were normal but my hair continued to fall out by the handfuls until my ponytail was so thin I had to wrap it 5 times.

It took 6 months for my hair to stop falling out. I'm fortunate in that I have had no residual problems since. It seems like a large percentage of customers have this response. I wish WEN would do the research and find out why. I was so depressed. My hair is one of my identifying factors and I was devastated. I am so grateful to God that it grew back I have noticed from the reviews not everyone has been as fortunate.

I have been using Wen for six years now and I have never had any hair problems. I was amazed to read all the customers that were dissatisfied. My hair is so and silky. I color my hair every six weeks. I love Wen and will continue to use it.

Used Wen for almost a year and started to notice scalp itching and then soreness and then a lot of hair falling out more than normal. My hair was everywhere on the floor and throughout my apartment and on my counters. Normally I have very long, thick hair and it was so thinned out by the time I stopped using product and happened to google my symptoms and found same complaints about Wen. I then called and canceled Wen and reported to them.

I have been trying everything to get rid of this problem, but may have to go to dermatologist. I don't have health insurance so I was trying every kind of special shampoo to get rid of it including Nizoral shampoo which is $14.99 for 7 oz. So far its the only thing that somewhat soothes my sore scalp and has slowed down my hair from falling out as much but it's still there after almost a year of trying different over the counter medicines. I wish I never used Wen. I hate this sore, itchy scalp condition it caused and the hair loss, but thankful that Nizoral shampoo has helped and with prayer to slow down my hair loss. Would never buy product again. Have used so much money trying to get rid of dermatitis on scalp.

My mother, a dissatisfied former Wen user, sent me unopened containers of the Lemon Rosemary Vanilla Bean Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Treatment, Pomegranate Cleansing Conditioner, and Sweet Almond Mint Anti-Frizz Styling Creme - with the warning it made her hair fall out, and to "stop using it if you notice any hair loss". So I tried it, and I experienced a drastic hair loss immediately in the shower with both products upon the first use! I'm not talking about just a little clump of hair - I'm talking GOBS of hair - that actually clogged the shower drain. After showering, I noticed my hair was easier than usual to detangle, but that a significant amount of hair was coming out of my scalp without any resistance from the combing (I always use wide-tooth comb).

Still, I decided to use the styling creme. I admit, my hair didn't look too bad after styling - but my hair has continued to fall out in clumps while shampooing, conditioning, and styling. Also, my head and scalp itched for hours after using. Even after using other hair care products since, my hair still looks frizzier and thinner than normal. I know this is not all a "coincidence". I told my mother, "Thanks for the warning. I threw the products into the trash", which I did. I really wanted these products to work, but there seems to be something caustic in the formulas causing serious hair damage and loss, and scalp irritation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about WEN by Chez Dean?

I used Wen for a year and thought it was good for my hair. Seemed to feel softer and shinier but gradually noticed thinning on the top and sides. I asked my hairdresser if she thought it could be my shampoo but she didn't want to comment but told me about the Wen lawsuit. I stopped using the products but have yet to see any improvement on my thinning hair, very depressing. I used to have thicker hair and was never a problem on growing it long but now it is thin, and doesn't seem to grow very fast. Chalked it up to aging until I read the reviews on here. Definitely feel the pain and frustration.

I started using WEN in the winter of YR 2013, and noticed in the spring of YR 2014 a small bald spot - about the size of a dime. Didn't think too much of it. I also notice my hair seemed thinner (as I have fine, thin hair to begin with) but attributed that to the smoothness that I got from using the WEN products. By summer/fall of YR 2015, my bald spot starting getting a little bigger (about the same time I switched WEN fragrances to Pomegranate).

At the first of the year 2016, I made an appointment with my dermatologist to find out what was causing this. They first suspected alopecia areata and gave me two rounds of steroid injections to see if the hair would grow back - nothing. In March (2016), the dermatologist did a biopsy and it came back inconclusive, so they took two more biopsies. The last two biopsies ruled out alopecia areata and scarring alopecia. The dermatologist is stumped - until I told her I was using WEN (I stopped using WEN in February of this year (2016)). She is currently doing some more research. All I want is my hair to grow back and my bald spot be gone. Does anyone have any recommendations? I called WEN and of course their statement is WEN does not cause this. I'm an extremely healthy person, no allergies, exercise, eat healthy, no health problems, no hair loss heredity problems...HELP!

I'm in tears. It's been months that I have been trying to figure out what has been causing extreme hair loss. I used Wen hair products years ago and decided to try it again back in October 2015. Since I started using it my hair has been falling out in globs. One morning I woke up to a ball of hair in my bed; along with handfuls in my brush and in the shower, daily. After some research I have found many complaints about others who have had the same experience. I once had gorgeous, long, beautiful, thick hair - now it is stringy, and thin, with bald spots. I will raise my voice and complain to every medium possible. I'm so unhappy and dissatisfied.

I first saw the advertisement for trywen.com while waiting at the doctor's office. It was an infomercial to get a reduced price on Wen products. I had been wanting to check out Wen's conditioner (all-natural) for a while so I decided to take advantage. However, I quickly learned that when you agree to the reduced price, they also sign you up for a recurring shipment. Additionally, the price is not actually reduced at all; in fact it is only split up over 3 payments. As soon as I saw the second charge on my credit card, I immediately called (you need to call) to cancel my account. However, they still said there was a pending charge for $89.95. This was in addition to the amount of $44.95 that they had already charged to my account. I will be attempting to return the products for a refund but currently I do not feel hopeful about the results based on the previous comments.

Well first off I'm glad I looked up the reviews before I used WEN and I'm so sad for those who gave their trust in your products. I hope in some way there will be justice for the false information and advertising with guaranteed results... The only guaranteed results we want is to shut you down and help those who have been living this nightmare and give them their confidences back.

I'm sitting here, reading these testimonies with tears rolling down my cheeks (yes, I am a very emotional person at times). You ladies have written my entire experience from loving the softness on my blonde, already dry hair to it falling out in such HUGE hand and pick fills that I'd cuss and, well cry each time I used it! But... I was told my hair was coming out "because I'm at that age". I'm 46!!! The money - oh I don't know how many times I cancelled before threatening to report them to the BBB. Amazingly, they stopped. After one last payment of course.

THANK YOU for easing my mind on this. It's a big deal losing hair for no reason. How does one get in on this class action lawsuit? I ordered my first of many rounds of it years ago from TV and stopped. I just ordered more since it was supposedly a new type and I hoped it was. It's not. But I got it from QVC. Will that matter? Again, thank each and everyone of you that yelled B.S!!!

I purchased the cleansing conditioner and the trial set from Sephora and unfortunately after a few weeks of using it - I noticed my hair felt really dry and limp! I would comb it and it would shed so bad. I will not use this stuff again!

My mother ordered Wen hair product, which was given to me as a gift. I used the conditioner and noticed that every time I would comb my hair it would come out a handful at a time. Then I noticed thinning and then bald spot at top of my head and my hair has not grown back since. I will not use Wen hair care product ever again.

I ordered Wen and was on automatic shipping - I was receiving way more product than I could possibly use. I was even giving it away - still had way too much. Then I noticed they were taking money more than once a month out of my account. Every time I called they would say they would review but I never heard anything back. They kept shipping then when I called and was adamant about cancelling my account and want to ship product back they say I have a past due Amount from 7 months ago and yet they are still shipping product. This is just a scam to get into your accounts. Beware. Don't let them steal from you.

I thought I was going crazy but yes my hair is falling out. I stop using. Every time I look in the shower after I get done I get that I picked up from the shower. My hair is thinning out, and it is scary. I will need to find the order number in all my paperwork. I don't have the money to sue.

I ordered a trial sample of Wen shampoo online. The website lead me to believe that I had 4 weeks before I would automatically receive the next shipment. I called 2 weeks after I received the first shipment to cancel the subscription. I was told that the next shipment of product had already shipped and too late to be cancelled. I was charged $33.94. Now 3 months later, I am charged another $33.94. When I called customer service that said this was for the second installment payment. It was never clear that I would be paying that much for this product! $67.88 for 2 bottles of shampoo is ridiculous! The shampoo doesn't even work that well. Buyer beware!!!

My intention in writing was to complain about the packaging of the product. Not until I read all the complaints about other customers losing hair, etc., was I aware of this or aware of the fact that there is a lawsuit against the company. I have been using WEN Cleansing Conditioner for over four years. None of the other products, just the cleansing product. I am 75 years old and have short, thick, wavy coarse hair that is chemically colored about every 8-10 weeks. I don't wash my hair everyday, because it isn't necessary. Use an old lady shower cap for my daily shower. So I saw the WEN claim of not using the product everyday, that seemed perfect for me. I normally go 3-4 days between "shampooing my hair".

I also do not use the recommended amount listed on the bottle and promoted in the t.v. ads. It is just way too much product to use and I always figured it was just their way of getting you to use more and then buy more. With short hair and using the amount of product that works for me, a bottle will last me 5-6 months, which is the only reason I pay their outrageous price! Bottom line, my hair is still very thick and wavy and short and I have none of the other side effects that have been mentioned in the other reviews. My original annoyance with the product is that there is still tons of product left in the bottle (which you cannot see through!) and the pump no longer pumps it out because the "straw" part of the pump doesn't come anywhere near the bottom of the container.

But now I guess I have to re-think this whole thing, because it seems that more people are harmed by the product instead of being helped with it. I can get the remaining cleanser out of the bottle, but these other people have lost their hair and suffered pain and humiliation and have received no satisfaction from the company. It would appear that I am an exception, but that doesn't mean that I have to continue to support this company and its products.

At first the WEN product was good, soft and easy to manage. But after a month or so I noticed hair loss and also toward the back my hair got so frizzy and dry out. My hair doesn't even grow. I was never afraid of short hair cause I knew my hair grow fast, but ever since I started using this product my hair doesn't grow... Please be careful of this product.

I was using Wen Shampoo for about five months. It was okay. I never really felt like my hair was clean and fluffy but my hair is colored blonde so it made it easy to comb out and I didn't need extra conditioner after shampooing. So I hung in using it. I don't think it ever made my hair any better. Then all of sudden I noticed what is going on with my hair? I did not see it falling out or more hair in my brush. But my hair that use to be 12 inches long, is now breaking off on the top of my head to about 3 inches long. All my ends were breaking off and dried out to straw.

Then I got a really bad rash all the way down my back. I thought maybe I changed detergent. Luckily I was talking to someone about the Wen shampoo and she said that is the problem. It causes hair loss and breakage. I looked it up on the internet and it said this shampoo builds up on the scalp and hair ends never really washing off making the hair heavy and break. The scalp coated not letting it breath causing hair loss. My hair is now cut short which I hate. And my rash has not gone away for two months. In one article it states two of the ingredients used in Wen is outlawed in England and affects the immune system. I hope this does not lead to future skin problems. You never know.

I tried WEN products & as soon as I did, I called to cancel & I still had to pay FULL price. Had to pay for something I was not going to use or to be shipped out. It is not what they claim. BUYER BEWARE, DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!

My husband bought it for me as a gift. I hate it. Make my hair greasy and falling out. I hate it. Now I seem very depress and worry about the hair loss. I don't have money to go to a specialist to find out how can my hair grow back.

I ordered the WEN Tea Tree products and I only used the products three times. At first my hair was really soft and easy to comb through when wet. So I thought this stuff is really good. However, my hair is now brittle and thinning, every time I comb it a hand full comes out. Before I could cancel my subscription from QVC they sent me another shipment that I had to pay for. Believe me it is still in the box unused. I was talking with my sister last week and telling her how bad my hair was thinning, ironically she sent me a text this morning and she asked me, "Didn't you start using WEN?" I said yes, then she informed me there is a lawsuit against them. I am so upset, my Afro is very dull and thin.

Beware of this product. I tried it, didn't like it - cancelled - and charges continued for 2 months after I cancelled. They said this was for the horrible product I returned and part of the terms... Don't buy - if you don't like it you will have to pay for it afterwards.

I've been a WEN user for a few years. At first my hair was shiny and smooth. Over time I noticed that it became dry and brittle. Some close family members started commenting on the frizziness that was not there before. I also noticed that there seemed to be a lot more hair in my brush, in the shower, on the bathroom floor, on my clothes, etc. I also had some unexplainable bumps on my head and my hair is much thinner than it used to be. I never thought the hair damage could be from WEN until I saw that there was a class action lawsuit pending. So I decided to stop using it about 3-4 weeks ago. It took a couple of weeks, but since then there has been far less hair loss, a dramatic difference actually. I have become a believer in the claim that WEN can cause hair loss.

I purchased WEN from Amazon January 2015. I'm reading all of these complaints and it's mind blowing. I am so sorry ladies for your hair loss. That is not cool. But I truly cannot complain about WEN. It has done for me what it said it would do, with me using my own judgment of course. I used it on my daughter's hair as well. But this is what I learned, you cannot use Wen on a regular basis, it must be used over time. So I washed our hair with it in January, but then did not use it again for about 4 months. I continued to use my Creme of Nature (w/o sulfate) shampoo and conditioner. My hair is manageable and does not kink up after washing. We have not lost any hair, but again we do not use it on a regular basis. I figured this out on my own.

I am a victim of fraud - someone has decided to send me WEN hair products twice now. Both times I have refused the shipment and returned the items. I finally called the customer service line 888-414-3565 to find out who is sending the shipments to me. First they wanted my phone number which I refused to give them so they cannot come back and say I ordered these products. Once we got past that they said they would stop the shipment. Then I asked for the phone number or email of the person "associated" with my name and account and they refused to give it to me. I asked if the police called would they give it to them and they said no. WEN is REFUSING to help the police in a fraud scam. That is a scam company in itself!

Hi, I am writing a review to WARN anyone against the use of WEN by Chaz Dean! I used the products back in the summer of 2015 at the end of June and beginning of July and I only used the stuff twice. I bought the products after hearing great reviews from 2 people. I am an African-American woman and if anyone knows our hair they would know that it's very curly when it's in its natural state and that it takes months of consistent good moisture products to get our hair to grow out to long lengths. So I say that to say that in my particular case I had grown my hair out in its natural state back in 2010 where I cut all the perm off of my ends and my hair was just above my shoulders fast forward to the summer of 2015 my hair was bra strap length and very thick as it has always been even when I use to have a relaxer.

This product took it out in 2 uses, 2 uses. How dare you say it's for all hair types, how dare you say it's all natural, how dare you LIE to us... I'm sitting here almost in tears as I write this. My hair immediately started to change. I noticed stringiness, dryness, and just all over thinning to my ends. I co-washed, and it said to rinse out thoroughly and then it says you can leave the product in as a leave in conditioner. That's how gentle he made it seem... these were instructions on the bottle.

Well I used it as instructed and hair loss is what it got me. I went to my hairstylist in August thinking maybe I just needed a trim... but it just continued to be thin and eventually I had to cut my hair off to above my shoulders... My hair has totally changed... that was the one thing I always got commented on was how beautiful my hair was... how long and thick it was. Now it is so thin it feels as if I only have about 10 strands of hair. I'm so disappointed and wanting to share because it's not for all hair types as it claims. I feel like I look so different without the hair I used to have. It's hard for me to do any styles to my hair.. it has truly changed my life. I ordered it from qvc and when I noticed the hair loss then that's when I looked up the reviews and then returned the product to qvc.

I started using the Wen System in April or May. Everything was great. It made my hair feel so soft and it was so manageable. After several weeks I would say until August I noticed that I was having to clean my hairbrush out a lot more and clean the drain out in my bathtub. I've never lost hair the way I was losing hair. I also noticed that I had bumps scalp and after doing research I found out that those were clogged pores. I'm so upset they had made totally hoodwinked. I also bought their home and their brush and the brush is losing the bristles like crazy. Its lost nine groups and I've only had the brush for three months so not only is their cleansing products bad, their other items that they sell are not that great either. I am joining the lawsuit.

I received a box full of Wen products as a Christmas present from my husband. I also received a bill for three more payments of around 40 bucks. Though I did not know what special pricing he received or the payment option he was offered but there was no way I was paying 160 bucks for hair products. In fairness to the company he was allowed to stop the future payments. I have been using the Wen hair care products since Dec., about 3 months now. I have natural curly waist length hair and with the curls also comes dryness and frizz. I have notice that my hair gets greasy, something it never did before, and just today I notice that I have dandruff and in 54 years I have never had dandruff.

It is tough to say whether or not I have suffered any hair loss from using the product but after reading all the hair loss statements I will stop using any hair care products made by Wen. I also notice some itching after using Wen the first couple of times but chalked it up to normal winter heating. I was skeptical at best but my husband can't seem to get passed the idea if it sounds to good to be true that chances are it is and with my hair type there is no wonder shampoo. But I at least had to give it a try for his sake.

It didn't perform like it says it does. First time it worked great. After that my hair went back to the thick unruly lion's mane and has been that way ever since. My scalp and the top half of my hair looks greasy and flat after I wash it and the bottom is a mass of frizz and curls. I don't use any of the styling sprays that was sent with the shipment, only the cleansing conditioner and the regular conditioner which I do rinse out after shampooing. I am not happy with the results and can get the same result by using a cheap chain store shampoo. Way overpriced for the job that it promises to do and does not. My advice to anyone wanting to purchase Wen products: DO NOT. Too pricey and does not perform well.

Like many other complaints WEN is ruining my hair. I'm so upset. I bought WEN to improve my hair and at first my hair was soft, smooth, easy to brush and less time to blow dry. Give it a little while and it's like it turns on you and poisons your hair. We all are here putting our trust in this man's hands and he pretends to be oblivious to the damage he has brought to many people. DO NOT USE WEN. YOU WILL ALSO BE HERE COMPLAINING SOON ENOUGH.

WEN by Chaz Dean Company Profile