1.14/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

832 Just For Men Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Well...boy did I get a laugh (sarcastically) when I read the reviews here. About 2 months ago...I buy JFM Beard Dark Brown. Use it, a day later, my face itches like something awful, couple red spots, I shrug it off as small irritation. MAN AM I AN IDIOT. I buy the same stuff last week, mix it the same way and proceed to COAT my beard and mustache, heavily. This was Saturday night. Well, here I am, Monday night...my face (under my beard and mustache) is completely ravished with red wounds. Just like 90% of the other reviews: red sores, raw, leaking watery fluid. They crust up, super hard, and flake off in this orange tint, crusty gel substance. It's either bone dry and hurts to even stretch my mouth open or they open up and it feels like my beard and mustache are soaked with water.

I am NOT shaving. I can see the wounds when I pull apart my beard...so here I am, taking antihistamines and coating my face in ** (healing gel). There's a nice red hue trailing the outline of my mustache and beard which is embarrassing enough. By the looks of the other reviews...I guess I'm in for a fun week or so! Thanks JFM. I have 2 or 3 half dollar sized chemical burns on my cheeks and my entire mustache/lip line is crusted over. I wish and hope ANYONE reads this before putting this garbage on their face. I'm not in as much pain as some of the other gents here but it sure is disgusting, uncomfortable, unsightly, and very tedious and annoying to treat. This needs to be pulled from the shelves IMMEDIATELY.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been using this product for a couple of months without issue, after using it for the last time as per the instructions my face and sideburns started to become itchy and after about an hour I started getting swelling and blistering. I proceeded to wash my beard again with cold water there was no colouring apparent so I had washed my beard very well the first time. This product seems to be very inconsistent with its strength and mix, if you use this product be very careful, not happy and in a great deal of discomfort.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I thought it was me. Today I asked my barber and he said to be careful with what I use to dye my beard since he noticed my entire mouth is dry and lips are chipped. I just google and I notice lots of people are experiencing the same thing, I'm in shock. I think a class action lawsuit should be done because they did changed their formula to make it stronger and has affected lots of users, the company did not provided enough time for testing this product before they took it out to the market. Shame on them.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been using this product twice a month ($20) for around 8 years and it was great. I was always satisfied until around 2 months ago. I have used it for so long that I just open it and know what to do and then all of a sudden the same thing as all of these reviews have happened to me. Horrible burning and itching. WTF happened? I came across this page when I googled how to use Just For Men without burning your face. I thought that I was doing something different, but now I see. I looked for anything similar to buy and there isn't anything. I'm actually very pissed off right now. I have spent around $2k on this product and they just change it and don't do anything about all of us getting burns and permanent damage done to our faces?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Beard dye. Have been using for 5 years or more. All of a sudden itches and burns and makes like a ring around my beard! Bright red! Painful! Want to itch my face off! Has ruined whatever function I dyed my beard for to look nice. Followed the instructions to a tee including a timer! Pain, pain, pain. All of a sudden!!! Takes several days to heal and then scabs. Have tried using everything under the sun to relieve the pain including **, aloe, cortisone, ice, etc. but nothing works! They have to had changed the formula or something! Class action lawsuit please!!! Use with extreme caution!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just For Men?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

It was the day before Thanksgiving (Nov. 21, 2018) and I was really looking forward to spending time with my two little girls and the rest of the family. We all live in different cities and we don't get that much time with one another. So I wanted to look my best. Fresh hair cut, clothes packed, clean trim on my beard and ready to hit the road. But wait, I should probably touch up the little bit of white coming in on the goatee part of my beard.

I had used this product exactly twice in the past with great results. Except, I was a little hesitant because the second time I had used it I experienced some mild skin irritation. Burning, Itching, etc.. Manageable discomfort in my opinion and a price I was willing to pay to look good for my beloved daughters. So, I proceed to cautiously and sparingly apply it to my beard and decide to leave it in for no more than two minutes instead of the recommended five. Jump in the shower hot water, soap, shampoo, condition thoroughly. I get out get dressed, check the results. No irritation, no burning, looks pretty good as there was still a little white showing where I didn't get great coverage or leave it in nearly as long as instructed. No big deal as I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Upon nearing the end of the nearly five hour drive to arrive at the family farm where we will be spending the holiday and my face is on Fire! Immediately Followed by Severe Swelling (cheeks, chin, neck and then puffy eyes), Insatiable Itching, Redness, Blisters, Horrendous Pain and Weeping. By weeping I don't mean crying (although I wanted to) but the weeping fluid that was clear and would be literally dripping, almost flowing, like a faucet left on so the pipes don't freeze. I had to carry around paper towels to soak up the fluid as toilet paper just couldn't absorb enough. It was embarrassing as no one wants to see that while they are trying to enjoy their meal.

This continued all through the Holiday weekend and I managed to not complain about my discomfort too much, trying to ensure that my daughters would one day remember this as a pleasant experience with their father and extended family. Day 6 (Nov 26th) I was returning to work and nothing I was doing to help remedy the situation was helping. I was using ** for the pain. ** for the swelling and to help get at least a little sleep. I even tried using my aunts Steroid Cream. No Dice. The only relief I could find was submerging my face in really HOT water for as long as I could stand it and cleaning up the oozing mess every hour on the hour.

Day 7 - No Improvement and noticed the weeping was turning a slight yellow, had an odor, and was now sticky like tree sap. Day 8 - I had to leave work early with a fever, muscle aches, joint pain and inflammation. I carefully shaved my beard to get a closer look at what was going on and get more aggressive with the cleaning regiment and possibly consider seeking medical treatment. Shaving revealed a chemically scorched face from ear to ear with the worst of it at my chin. Cleaning with Hot water to open the pores and using a wash rag to push in on the skin and twist would release small amounts of puss from each and every hair follicle that the chemical had touched. Very intense pain is an understatement!

Every hair follicle felt like hot needle being buried in my skin, Or like a splinter that you just can't get out. I would spend 15 - 30 minutes every hour repeating the procedure over the course of Day 9 and 10. Bedridden for two days with a wash rag to soak up the infection as it now began to harden into a superglue like texture only 15 minutes after getting it completely clean. I was truly miserable experience... Worse than my broken ankle, wrist, nose, and clavicle on the pain scale, but not quite as bad as Rheumatic Fever (Imagine Rheumatoid Arthritis + High Grade Fever) that almost had killed me 10 years ago.

Day 11 After knocking myself out with a ** induced coma to ensure some sleep would occur I awoke to find the infection had hardened into a greenish, awful smelling mask across my chin and that it had spread to the back of my hands. The infection had either entered my blood stream (life threatening) or by blotting the puss with the back of my hands while falling asleep the night before. Even more concerning is I could not swallow, talk, and beginning to have difficulty breathing. I awoke my roommate to drive me to the Hospital. I have an extremely high pain tolerance and consider myself able to tough out most things. But, this is getting close to becoming a serious risk of death! Infection in your blood stream is no joke.

The physicians diagnosis: Severe chemical burns that lead to open wounds on my face becoming infected with Staph Infection that spread to my hands by contact, Plus Strep Throat due to an exhausted immune response while battling the infection. A Steroid shot was administered that immediately helped my throat swelling. Topical and oral antibiotic along with an oral steroid were prescribed.

Day 12 - After the hospital and spending day 11 and 12 with what had become the normal hourly cleaning routine combined with topical antibiotic to my face and hands after cleaning, plus steroid... I finally believe the infection has been completely removed and doesn't appear to be returning. The raw patches on my cheeks are now bleeding for the first time and beginning to scab over. However, my chin is completely numb to the touch now; like the nerve endings have been permanently damaged and there is a small "bleached out" looking spot of skin that I'm hoping the color and pigment return. In addition, I notice that some patches of skin are no longer able to grow hair. Day 13 - (currently today) I returned to work for a half day and haven't noticed any further improvement to chin numbness, skin color disfiguration, or hair follicle growth. These results may be permanent. I pray not.

In reflection. The only initial goal was to cover up a little white in my beard, to look a little better for my daughters that I adore and don't get to see nearly enough. Only to endure two weeks of HELL. Including forced smiles at Thanksgiving to cover the pain, seeing the faces of concern and disgust in peoples faces when they look at me, sleeplessness, worry, work time earnings lost, hospital expense, and possible permanent scarring is more than unacceptable. It's downright negligent and criminal that someone is making a buck off of this poison!

I may plan to seek legal action depending on if the remaining injuries turn out to be permanent. Or, if the CEO making a fortune off this stuff wants to volunteer for a good 'ole fashioned ** beating then I will kindly deliver. Don't worry, I will just send you to the hospital and leave you just a little permanently disfigured! Sounds like an adequate and equal response to me... Buyer Beware. G' Day.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had used this product for well over 20 years without any issues and with good results. But all of a sudden in middle of 2018, things changed drastically. Many reactions like others - itching, slight burning, pimple like swelling and even oozing. So I called the company but the lady just told me that nothing is different. Very obviously, it is NOT TRUE. The company should go back to analyze the formula to see what got changed to make it cheaper or have they changed source of imported components they are using to make this products - maybe they cheapened it to make more profit. BEWARE of Legal actions!!! That's more costly!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I first purchased Just for Men Beard and Mustache little brown color Aug.17,2018. The box contained a test to determine if it would be possible to use. The test was good, so I applied it to my beard and mustache. A hour or so later I started itching really bad. That was later, a few hours later by burning, swelling of chin, lips and gums. Weep came along, like water literally dripping from my face. I went to the ER, they said I had severe chemical burns. They gave me two shots in the hip, steroids and antibiotics. Along with prescriptions for those and other meds and mind pain medication. Doctor told me to shave to get as much of the hair follicle I could. It took about two weeks to finally clear up. Very painful, had to miss work because of the open wounds. All I can say is beware of this product.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I have used Just For Men for several years without any problem until about 2 months ago. I follow the instructions, wash it out, no problem. Then about 3 hours later while I'm on a date my beard area feels like it's on fire. I go to the restroom and notice oozing from my beard area, literally dripping. I use tissue and see that the oozing is yellow. My face started to swell. I went to the emergency room and was treated. This product is dangerous.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I have been using JFM since beginning of 2018 and had no problem until I purchased a new box about 2 months ago. I ignored small chemical burn on side of my beard for weeks but now my whole face is burning and oozing sores with leaking fluids. JFM what is going on!!??

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have used JFM beard and mustache for years with no side effects until my latest purchase. I used it on November 23rd in the morning and by 1 pm my face had red raised bumps everywhere I had used it. It was also itching very badly and my lips were swollen and very painful. By 9 that evening I was itching so badly I had to shave my month old beard. I had pus oozing from multiple rash sores on my face. I have no relief. I have however been quite entertaining to my family with my swollen lips. This stuff has to go NOW.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Do not use this product. This has to be banned. This classification, exempts Just for Men’s dye from FDA approval prior to consumer use. In fact, the FDA is prohibited from taking legal action against defendants for safety issues related to the products so long as the packaging includes a generic cautionary statement noting that the products “contain ingredients which may cause skin irritation” and a skin test recommendation.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Unlike others, I had never used JFM until October of this year (2018). Getting a little gray in the beard so I used the Light Brown application. My face has been itching and burning ever since. I thought it was just me, but decided to research it and came across this thread. Wow, I can’t believe so many are having the same reaction. I used it exactly as the instructions state, applied no more than 5 mins., washed with warm water and shampoo, etc., etc.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Having used Just for Men beard dye satisfactorily over the course of four months or so I was not too concerned when the setting mix in the latest purchase had a slightly different composition - white rather than clear. Around four hours after application I began to have red burning skin that continued to worsen - becoming purple, raised, puffy and then pus began to ooze from the skin. I would describe the pain as stinging and or burning - in the manner of sunburn. I went to the hospital and was immediately put on a course of steroids and antihistamines. Not pleasant at all. Please be warned - do a patch test first. From a Google search I can see I am not alone in having a bad experience. Retailers should think twice about stocking the product.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I too have used Just For Men beard dye on my mustache and goatee for a couple of decades now. I used it without issue about twice a month. About 8 months ago I used it and all of a sudden I was feeling burning, later I was feeling itching and burning, then I started to develop a rash in the goatee and mustache area. I have now been to a dermatologist 4 times, as they thought I had seborrheic Dermatitis. I was given numerous prescription creams and cleansers, and put on a strict regimen.

After all that nothing is helping, my face still has a rash and still burns and still itches. Again the rash is only in the area that the Just For Men product was applied. Last week my dermatologist was looking at my skin and plaque on the skin and decided that I needed a 3 mm punch biopsy from my chin to send off to a pathologist to help better determine what is going on. So now I have 2 stitches closing a hole on my face and I sit and await the results, of a condition that isn’t getting any relief. As a consumer and a sufferer I know exactly what is to blame for this condition and that is the Just For Men product. It certainly needs to be pulled from the shelf.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have been a faithful user of the Just For Men Jet black for over 15 years. I would use it twice a week. This year (2018) is the first time I started experiencing a bad reaction to the product. At first I thought it was because I did not wash it out with a Neutralizing so I purchased a bottle and made sure I washed it out thoroughly. Still the same reaction... burning and itching. I took a 3-month break and shaved my face clean to give my skin a break. When I started using it again, the bad reaction was the same. I just decided to take a look online to see if anyone else has the same or similar story and I found a lot. I think I'm going to visit Just For Men website. Maybe that's where the complaints need to go. As a matter of fact, I'm going to look for a complaint line now. I'm too vain to give up on covering the gray... lol... Just For Men is the real reason 40 is the new 50... lol.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I've used this product for a couple years with no issues. It was actually great. Up until mid October 2018 when I purchased a new box. The box was a little different (taller) but no mention of a different formula or anything so I didn't see the need in testing it on my skin first. So I applied it and all was good for a few hours. Then I noticed some itching. Then some serious itching. Then my skin started to leak some pale yellow fluid like sap from a tree. This lasted 2 days and I was very concerned but it eventually went away. I thought it might have had something to do with the dye but having used it for so long I thought maybe it was something else. But it went away after a couple days so end of story. So I thought. I used it again... And the same thing happened. I'm currently nursing my chin through my goatee with a paper towel to soak up all of the fluid. Sounds gross I know. But this is the aftermath of using this product.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I too, like many of the other men thought this condition was something else! After [healing somewhat] trying to apply to my beard. I began with terrible itching, stinging, burning and then actual sores seeping liquid from my sideburn area. And NO, I did not leave this on too long. In fact; I had a stopwatch beside me during application and was sure to hop this in the shower on the 4-minute mark, shampooing as the directions state. This is getting worse and I suspect chemical burns. I am in whenever a class-action is initiated, this is horrible. It needs to be pulled from the shelves! I find it hard to believe the makers haven’t heard about this- especially in a time where online reputations mean so much. I am maintaining pictures for when guys wanna get together and do something about it!!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I have used Just For Men for many years with no problems. It worked well. A few months ago I noticed something like dandruff coming from my beard. After looking closer, I found that my skin was flaking and coming off. I stopped using the product and let the irritation heal. To my surprise, the skin under my beard is white. I am a ** man. It looks horrible. I'll join in on the lawsuit if anyone has proceeded. My face is the evidence. Scarred for Life... Just For Men.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Yesterday I decided to color my beard before a party. My face burned and felt hot all night. It got worse overnight. This morning my face was swollen, itching and bright red. There are raised areas. My girlfriend noticed bleeding in my beard. I have used this product in the past and never had this problem. We are monitoring it to see if it gets worse. Right now I'm just trying to keep comfortable, holding ice packs on my face. I'm going to try ** to see if it helps.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I used Just For Men for years and in mid October I noticed a difference. I just bought a couple boxes of hair dye and beard dye same color so I was ready for a few months of nice colored hair and beard. So the new box was just like the rest of the boxes I’d used before, no notices of formula change etc... so I colored my goatee at night before I went to bed. Woke up in the night with a very itchy face and my lips were itching too. I would chew on my lips to itch them and all around my mouth. Even when I ate food they were very sensitive and salt or spicy food really made you say - "Wohaaaa that’s not right!!" So like so many JFM users I thought it was something else.

After a couple days of it and no sign of it leaving and itching all the time I finally thought I’d look up online and see if there were any issues. Well to my amazement there were many complaints about the product and many that sounded like mine!! So I found a dye at the hair salon for beards and now that’s what I use w/o any itch. Took over one week before I could eat right and the itching finally subsided. So bye JFM and yes there are safe dues out there men. And for the people who think ya just need to be natural I’ll say mind your own business. I look too young to have a grey hair!! And I have this a 2 star because my symptoms weren’t as bad as a lot of guys. But ya all can say to JFM and get another brand. It’s out there.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Just like everyone else, past user with no issues. Now when I use it, it burns and itches. My skin is inflamed, and red. Not using ever again. Something has changed from the past formula and this new chemistry needs to be pulled.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I decided to try and grow my beard out and did just that, after a few weeks noticed all the grey and decided I would slowly color in the grey with the light brown coloring Just for Men offered. After applying it and waiting 5 minutes to wash out with warm water and then shampoo out as the instructions say to do, everything seemed fine. In the middle of that same night I awoke around 3AM to burning and itching that about drove me crazy, forget about getting back to sleep. The next day due to the constant scratching, blisters started forming and releasing fluids. As I sitting here typing this review I'm wiping the beard are off my face to keep the fluids from the sores/blisters from running. This product is very bad and needs to be looked at by the authorities based on the other reviews I have seen. I am not allergic to anything that I am aware of so this has me very uncomfortable right now. Just for Men, what are you doing about this???

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Used the product for years w no issues. Bought a new bottle on Oct 13th 2018. Used it like usual just before bedtime. Woke up in the night and my face was itching really bad and so were my lips. It was like I could chew on my lips and it felt good. I just thought it was from a previous infection in my tooth months earlier. Then when I would eat the salt would burn and anything would make your lips feel very sensitive. Still I thought that it was from the infection earlier but started thinking that has been over for months.

It was bothering me so badly it would wake me up at night and I’d itch my lips w my teeth and my beard for a long time. Thought maybe beard dye, no I never had any issues with JFM ever. Then I thought I’d check out the Just For Men reviews to see if anyone else had any issues. Well it seems like that is the issue, Just For Men formula is Bad!! So I’ll say bye bye to JFM and hope my lips get back to normal someday!! I gave it a 2 star just because I didn’t have near as bad experience as most of the others!! Just spread the word!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Used this on Sunday. My face is full of oozing blisters, some are bleeding scabs and very very very painful. Just emailed pics to them and Superdrug. I’ve used this product for years and years and never had an issue. Looked at the reviews and a lot of people having the same. All the litigations are in the USA as other chap said why is nothing happening in the UK.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I've used this product for 10+ years and never had any trouble with it. Used it this month and after a day I experienced horrible chemical burns around my mouth and nose. My skin was weeping clear yellowy pus for a couple of days and there was painful stinging. I had scabs and discoloured skin for several days which looked hideous and was very embarrassing. I'm guessing that they've changed what goes into the product. It's not enough to tell people to use a patch test if they've already done it in the past and it was fine. I will never buy anything from this company again. This stuff needs pulling off the shelves immediately - it's dangerous and they are going to end up with a massive lawsuit. Would give it zero stars if I could.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I thought that I was the only one that were having this issue with Just for Men, until one day I decided to Google my problems it freak me out, all this time I thought it were the medication that I was taking, I been using Just for Men at least 7 years until recently it sent me to emergency room with severe itching, burning, rash, face swelling, skin running out some kind of liquid. This stuff have to be removed from store shelves immediately.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I’ve been using the product for at least 15 years with no problems. However, a few months ago I was getting terrible sores on my face. First I blamed it on a razor blade (for trimming) and kept using Just For Men, until one day I decided to use it at least a week after shaving, so no razor blade involved. Once my sores actually got infected and I had to get on antibiotics. For quite a long time I thought it’s only me, who has this problem, until I found this page. The stuff is seriously toxic and I think the government should get involved!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have used this product consistently for over eight years without any issues, until my last couple of applications. I'VE EXPERIENCED SEVERE BURNING, ITCHING and developed pigmentation changes after using Jet Black mustache and beard color from J.F.M.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

For about 15 years, I have been using this product and happy with it. Recently, I noticed after using the product I experience severe burning and rashes under my goatee. The burning also comes with serious itching. The formula to this product have definitely changed and it should be pulled from shelves.

Just For Men Company Information