1.00/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

739 Just For Men Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I used this product at least the past 10 years without any problems until the past 4 weeks. I believe as many other men do, that the product has been chemically altered over the past 6 mos. or so. I was used to using the product 2 or 3x/week the past 10 years w/o any problem until just recently (several weeks ago) when I decided to grow a beard out for hunting season. I was having a hard time with lite colored or white whiskers. So I got a new box of JFM M-25 (light brown) and started using it. All the symptoms other men have described - I started experiencing them - broken out neck rash/hives, lip chemical burns, and several oozing pustules that itched like crazy and some burned. I was forced to shave off my beard, due to the pain and itch, and started applying 1% ** creme.

It's been 3 days already and the hives have not receded as of yet. This is a Major Product Lawsuit in the making. Luckily, my symptoms have only been skin issues and not anaphylactic shock/breathing issues. I feel the company is putting Profits ahead of Safety. I'm going to go ahead and find the proper Federal Consumer Agency to contact and let them know thousands of complaints have been lodged against this hair product just this past year and what are they going to do about it? I did the patch test and nothing ever happened to indicate this product might harm me and others. I'm sure JFM is a Large money maker for Combs, but at what cost???

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had used this product a few times in the past and had at that time experienced some itching and discomfort. I just used it for the first time in at least a year. I now have a beard and thought that it would be better to use now, being that the dye would not be nearly as close to my skin as it was when I didn't have the beard. Well what happened was the worst burn I have ever had including major blistering, weeping, scabbing, and unforgiving itching. How did this happen when I hadn't even put this on very close to my skin. Obviously, something has changed. I ended up to the Dermatologist who says he has seen many men with this reaction. I am now on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds. I will NEVER use this again. It needs to be taken off the shelves never to harm anyone like this again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Well let me start off with this, I've been using Just For Men for probably eight or nine years. In the last year or so I have had tons of problems with open blisters going to the dermatologist. I was curious if they have changed the makeup of their product (Just For Men)? So I went online and was shocked to see how many people are experiencing the same problems. So now I decided to add to the list curious if anybody has found a product that they like? Now that I see how many people are having problems... I would like to know why this product continues to be sold to the public? I am 56 years old and I'm smart enough to know something has changed? I have not reached out to Just For Men but that is my next step? Has anyone else reached out and gotten a response. If so perhaps they could advise?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Have been using this product for a number of years now, but the last couple of times that I've used it I've had a really itchy scalp which has lasted for over a week. I think that they must have altered the formula somewhat and will not consider using it again until there has been some form of reassurance from the company that this problem has been resolved.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have also been using JFM for a few years. Like the other stories, I went to dye my beard and I got a very red, hot rash with weeping blisters on my chin and under my nose. This cost me $125 in dermatological medicine. Going on a week and it's only a little better. My Dr. Said that the blisters are seborrheic dermatitis and prescribed anti fungal cream. The blisters cleared up in a few days but I still have this horrible rash. They need to pull this product!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just For Men?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have been using Just For Men Beard Coloring for over 15 years and never had any problem whatsoever. I used it last week and my face is on fire. I have itching and burning and when I scratch there is a wetness as if I was scratching a scab with puss. They may say they have not changed the formula but that cannot be true. Now I check online and see at various sites others having the same problem. What is insane is that this crap is still on the market and they still deny any formula change. Too many people are having the same conditions at the same time even after using the product for years as I have. I've been keeping my face wet with cool water and will just have to wait it out until my body corrects the problem. I don't want to further the problem by adding something that I may get a worse reaction to when I apply it. Good luck guys.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

So I used this product 3x prior, never had an issue. Until 4 days ago when I used it, I use it to cover the lighter parts of my facial hair, the dark brown JFM. And I had to shave my beard off. I developed the worse rash I've ever experienced in my life, blistering, scabbing, the itchiness was horrendous. I feel as if I'm a 15 year old going through puberty and breaking out all over my jaw/neck area. Please do not buy this product, I really don't know what it is doing on shelves, especially on CVS. My face is in pain as I'm writing this.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I used JFM for just under 2 years (starting in 2014). I stopped using the product for about a year as I shaved all my facial hair off. My last application (Feb 2017) I followed their (JFM package directions) and completed a skin spot test; no reactions. I then applied JFM sparingly to my graying mustache and beard. I applied the JFM hair dye about 9:00 pm in the evening...

At 1:00 am the next morning I woke up with outrageous chemical burns to my face. The pain, swelling and overall discomfort was very serious. As I applied the JFM product to the hair on my neck, the edema and tightness of skin/tissue on my neck was the worst. I found myself having trouble breathing! I became so concerned that I drove myself to the nearest ER at 2:30 am and had to be treated with 3 IV meds for 7 hours to abate the swelling/edema and shortness of breath.

The ER doc (and his clinical assistants) said they are seeing record amounts of men just like me for the exact same thing - severe chemical burns from men's hair dye. The MD, PhD (ER doc) went on to explain that "most likely" the offending substance that I'm SO ALLERGIC to in JFM is Phenylenediamine (also commonly called PPD). The ER doc also said - "Very good decision to get in here with this condition. You have marked swelling/edema to your throat and it's transferred into your esophagus. If you'd waited much longer to present to ER, you could have easily gone into anaphylactic shock." So NOT good!

Who would've thought that taking 30 minutes to get the gray color out of my beard could have ended my life. In my opinion, JFM (and all hair dyes heavy with PPD) should be removed from the market by the FDA/FTC, or whatever govt agency with the power to do so! The more you/I/we are exposed to PPD the worse the allergic reactions become... clinical fact.

PLEASE stay away from this product (JFM hair color)! There are all natural products (without the dangerous PPD and other hyper-harsh clinically dubious chemicals) in them and they work well. Just Google "All Natural Men's Hair Color" and you'll find several for sale at reasonable prices. I'd provide some specific links here, but then some reading this would think I'm an affiliate for these products/brands... and I'm NOT. I do want to possibly help other men (and women) who might be hyper-allergic to the harsh chemicals in these commercial products. If I can spare one individual from going through the ER nightmare and 2 week recovery I endured - this review will have served its purpose...

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Like a lot of the other complaints, I too am echoing their words. I have used JFM beard color/dye since June 2013. I would apply 1x every 2 weeks due to how close/short I keep my beard. This product was perfect. No significant issues. There would be some itching, but I expected some discomfort as one is dealing with a chemical product. However, since the summer of 2017, I too have experienced blisters. At least 3-4 the last two times I have used JFM. So yes, for nearly 3/12 years I had no significant problems; no blisters. Then this past summer, serious issues to the point I cannot trust the product. I'm now looking at organic/natural beard dye. JFM should be pulled from the shelves until they develop a product that does not burn or go back to their original formula.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I quit using Just For Men awhile back after a bad experience. I found that the dollar store had the color I wanted for 1$. It works much better and is a much better value than Just For Men. My wife recently picked up a Just For Men on a coupon so I thought I would try it again. BIG MISTAKE and my hair once again looks like CRAP. Believe me I have learned my lesson. Guys, stick with the dollar store, I sure am.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I started using JFM for beards approximately 18 months ago. I had no problems the first 3 applications. That fourth and I'm ashamed to admit fifth one caused me pain and discomfort that I would not wish on anyone. I did not test the product as the instructions advise. I figured that I didn't have any issues before, why would I now. If only I had listened lol. There were no problems immediately after I applied it in the late afternoon. However the next day my face burned and itched unlike nothing I had ever felt before. I kept telling myself not to scratch it but that proved impossible. After a short time of insane itching and scratching I noticed edema on my finger tips that was caused by the blisters that had formed and that I kept scratching. By my estimation this was comparable to a first to second degree burn.

This was way worse than the worst sunburn that I've ever had. My face started to swell, not only was it visible but I could feel a ridge that started right at my beard line. This insanity lasted a couple of days in which I seriously considered going to the ER. I looked on the internet and I saw where ** cream would help. That did nothing. Then I read where apple cider vinegar would stop the itch. Sure enough, that worked. It burned like holy hell and I would have to sit in front of a fan but it stopped the itch and actually promoted healing. Then I took some ** pills that helped ease the itching even more and got the swelling to go down.

As I mentioned earlier this episode wasn't enough to teach me to never use this product again. After a couple of months I thought maybe it wasn't that bad. So I dyed my hair. Fortunately it the effects wasn't as severe on my head but it was still very uncomfortable. However I had the exact same reaction on my face as if I had dyed my beard. Blisters, the whole nine yards. I'm posting this 4 weeks after that last episode and my face is a dried up mess. No more blisters or itchiness. But there isn't enough moisturizer in the world to satisfy the need of my face. I wake up in the morning and have to wash my face with a wash cloth in order to wipe off the dried up cells that have collected. I have to do this 2 or 3 times a day and then apply a thin coat of ** cream followed by a thin coat of moisturizer.

This is my take on JFM. Yes, it definitely needs to be taken off the market. I'm not entirely convinced that they changed an ingredient that's causing all this. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I personally believe that I reached my tolerance level and my body could not deal with it anymore. It's happened to me with other products though not with the severity of consequences. This is just my opinion. To anyone trying this for the first or the tenth time, I would exercise extreme caution.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Used this product diligently and sported a nice beard with lots of compliments for almost 3 years until March - horrific rashes and discomfort with oozing sores etc. Turned out they made some change that created a terrible reaction for many. I spent over $500 in physician’s visits and topical medications while trying to find cause. Missed work time and had some stress associated with the unknown cause. In time I shaved and found that it was the product when I applied the amber dye component to my arm and found the rash grew gradually from that point of application. The white developer and the hair dye had no reaction.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I used CVS brand hair color but was discontinued in med brown so tried Just for Men. I broke out in hives in large bumps on sides of my face accompanied with itching and burning. CVS brand did not do that to that degree.

Original review: June 12, 2017

This is horrible. I started using JFM July of 2016 and it worked great until the beginning of this year, 2017. I woke up at 2am with seeping sores on my face. Burning, itching and sticky puss running down the sides of my face. I don't know what the Hell they did to the formula, but I simply can no longer use it as the pain is horrendous. It has done this to me the last three times I used it. First I thought it was due to leaving it on too long, so I tried less time, still it happened. So then I thought maybe it is because I switched from light brown to dark brown and went back to the light brown and it still did it. So now I simply have to quit using this. Which is a shame because it works great and the color lasts me about three weeks. But I'm sitting here with puss running down my face and neck with my face on fire as I type. JFM change back, PLEASE!

Original review: June 11, 2017

My husband has been using Just For Men mustache hair dye for the past few years. When he uses it his skin gets oozing blisters and very painful. Have you changed your formula? He never had bad reactions before from it. I would advise you to check into this. I see tons of complaints. He will not be using it again.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I used this product about 15 times with good results... then all of a sudden every time I've used it, burned my skin, broke out in puss etc. I've stop for weeks... brought same product at different stores thinking it would help and no it burns my skin... Even a year later I tried again thinking maybe they found out the issues and still burnt next day... Don't use this product.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I have been using JFM for around three years with no issues. In the last few months I have experienced swollen lips, burning lips, dry cracked lips and redness with burning and itching on the chin. I actually was putting an ice pack on my lips as they were burning and swollen so bad. After I read that JFM claim nothing has changed, never having an issue prior I didn't stop usage immediately. After stopping usage the issues have subsided. So it was JFM causing this. After research I am not alone with this issue. They claim nothing has changed but I call BS; maybe the board members of Combe Inc. should use their product and experience what having your lips on fire feels like.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I had used this product a couple of times last year without issue. Last week I decided to do it again before a wedding. I did the patch test they recommend for allergies and had no issues. About 24 hours after applying the dye I started feeling an itching sensation. Very quickly that developed into burn like marks all over my face that have been getting worse with each day. I genuinely don't complain about things, but please believe me when I tell you that everything people have written in these reviews is true. It's been a full week and every day the burns/abrasions get worse. Please don't use this product. Not only is it extremely painful, but I'm embarrassed to leave the house. I ruined my pillow & pillow case, and even got my couch stained with blood. Basically anything that touches my face gets ruined because it's constantly seeping. This product needs to be yanked off the market. I can't believe they can get away with selling this to people.

Original review: May 29, 2017

My husband used Just for Men, and suffered a severe chemical burn. Within hrs, through the night, and into the next morning, he had severe itching, burning, welts and blisters weeping, rash that was spreading. The back of his neck was full of blisters, and his scalp was blood red. He washed his hair so many times, took ** and cortisone cream on his scalp, and is now using Aloe Vera. It is absolutely horrible, and totally unexpected. This was bad stuff for him, and many have gone through the same thing with this product.

Original review: May 16, 2017

I've been using JFM (Black Men) over four years with no incident and the past five months product has given me scabs, puss, clear liquid leakage and terrible itching. What the heck did you do new to the formula? Very dissatisfied and upset about this.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I have been using Just For Men for about a year and have had no issues with it till this past use. Woke up about 3 in the morning to find my face itching and blistering. My lips are swollen and my chin is seeping pretty bad. The product was the dark black version. I will not be buying this product again. I am very disappointed about how this has turned out!! From reading the other reviews I have found that this horrible condition can last for over a week. Not happy!

Original review: May 10, 2017

After carefully reading about the preparations and procedure for using JFM, I was pleased that after applying it, my mostly silver hair was a light brown color. This was my objective. But after several days, I began to experience itching. At any given time this involved no more than 1-2 areas of my body. The area(s) could be localized anywhere from the top of my head to my ankles. Some days were worse than others. After about two weeks, the itching went away. [Then, I did a second patch test for allergenicity, which was negative, like the first one.] The duration and intensity of these effects were similar to my skin reaction in the past when I have accidentally made contact with poison ivy leaves, but different in that there were no red welts.

As 73 year old retired biochemist, I’m familiar with the ingredients in JFM and their possible allergenicity. The chemical structures of two of these, p-phenylenediamine and 4-hydroxycatechol are problematic. A Google search, keyword p-phenylenediamine, clearly provided abundant evidence of its allergenic potential. 4-Hydroxycatechol (1,2,4-trihydroxybenzene) is a structural relative of the allergens in poison ivy. So even though I really liked the way my hair looked after use of JFM hair coloring, I obviously won’t be able to use it again. Or for that matter any of the others because they all seem to contain one or both of the substances above that I suspect caused my itching problem.

Original review: April 29, 2017

My husband has used Just For Men Hair Color twice in the past without any problems. The day before Easter I put Just For Men hair color on my husband and I put remainder on my edges, afterwards he complained that the product was itching. We washed it out and he stated that it was still itching with a burning sensation. I washed it again then we went to sleep. The next day my husband and sores and bumps around his neck and ears and he stated that it was still itching and burning. I looked at his neck and it was red with bumps and part of his chest had small red bumps as well.

Later that day my ears and chest became inflamed with fine bumps and around my edges were itching and burning. The itching was so bad neither of us had ever experienced such reaction. We googled the product and found out that there were over 700 complaints with the same reaction as ours. Just for Men to take the product off the market until they have corrected the chemical components that's causing this painful and costly side effect. My husband and I had to go to the doctor to get a shot and other medication to alleviate this rash. I hope no one else use this product until it can be determined that Just for Men is safe.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I have used JFM for 12-15 yrs on a mostly weekly basis. I have never had a problem with it until the past 6 months. It started with what looked like impetigo around my mouth (got an antibiotic). This past winter it got worse and I had the horrible itching, redness, scabby/** sores. I wanted to rip my face off. It wasn't impetigo at all, but the results of using this product. It seems that they must have changed the formula as I had used it weekly for all those years and was completely satisfied. Why can't they just admit they made a mistake and go back to the former formula so men like me can use it again. My husband has recently been having the same issues.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I have used JFM (Real Black) for about 6 months. Each time I have done the skin test on my arm with no reaction. I bought a box in February 2017 and used it a couple times. The second time I used it was April 5. Within 24 hours my face became swollen. My face felt like it was on fire from the burning I encountered. At night I would wake up to my face leaking pus and fluids that ended up becoming crusty scabs. All around my mouth my lips had swelled. My face under my beard and mustache was red from the burning which lasted a week.

I had to reach out to the doctor to have steroid cream prescribed to help control the itching and burning. Was also put on ** for 5 days. Today I still have flakiness and itching around my mouth. I don't understand how a product has so many complaints regarding chemical burns, since 2012, how it can still be put on store shelves. This company needs to be sued, and this product knowing that there are many issues out there needs to be banned from store shelves. Like the cigarette manufacturers having to put labels on their packaging about what smoking can do to your health with pictures of lung cancer.

They need to post warnings and pictures of how your face can look after using JFM products on their packaging. Pretty sure there would be a tremendous loss of sales in the product. Maybe I could be the poster guy for this advertising. Definitely will never ever use this product again and will search to find a product that is safer and all natural.

Original review: April 9, 2017

My (ex) Husband has been using Just for Men for 10-15 years with zero incident. The past two or so times he used it he developed pus filled blisters and horrible scabbing along his lip. The first time he thought it was dry skin, or whatever... but the next time, his ENTIRE lip was filled with this stuff. He did see a dermatologist, who at first thought it was a cold sore outbreak... nope. Whatever they have done, they need to un-do. There is not really another product on the market for frequent dyeing of beard/mustache hair.

Original review: April 9, 2017

I have been using Just for Men beard dye dark brown on my beard for over a year and a half now. Up until the last couple months I have had zero issues. In the last couple of months I have had itching and some redness. Since I have not had issues in the past I wasn't sure it was the dye. Then today I used it in the AM and by late afternoon my face was red and blisters appeared on my chin. There is no doubt that it was caused by the beard dye. Watch out if you use this. Something has changed with this product.

Original review: March 15, 2017

UK customer here. I've purchased JFM three times to dye my beard (their moustache and beard medium brown formula). Once in early 2016, once in late 2016 and once in early 2017. The last two times I've suffered quite substantial irritation and itchiness of the skin under my beard - to the point at which I've created some sores. The itching persists for almost a week. Now looking for alternative brands.

Original review: March 13, 2017

My husband used this product for the first time like a month ago and it looked good the first two days then all of a sudden he got red and itchy rash on scalp, neck, sideburns, mustache, behind ears and on his shoulders and back. It looked like chemical burns! I have been in healthcare for 14 yrs and never seen nothing like this! The rashes cleared after several weeks of using Aloe Vera gel and coconut oil but, now he has these nasty puss filled blisters on his head that are hard and crusty and very painful! Can someone help with what's the best thing to use and should we consult a lawyer???

Original review: March 10, 2017

I've used this product for the past 5 years to cover up some gray areas on my chin. Have never had an issue in the past until now. Used the JFM medium Brown at 8 pm last night. Left it in only 4 minutes. Not 2 hours later began to itch. Woke up at 3 just wanting to rip my chin off from the burning and itching. Woke up at 6 am with oozing sores. This is very frustrating as I had a meeting to attend. Will never use this product again and should be compensated. There has to be something that changed in the chemical make up of this product. JFM needs to pull this product until they fix the issue.

Just For Men Company Information