Just For Men

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I quit using Just For Men awhile back after a bad experience. I found that the dollar store had the color I wanted for 1$. It works much better and is a much better value than Just For Men. My wife recently picked up a Just For Men on a coupon so I thought I would try it again. BIG MISTAKE and my hair once again looks like CRAP. Believe me I have learned my lesson. Guys, stick with the dollar store, I sure am.

I started using JFM for beards approximately 18 months ago. I had no problems the first 3 applications. That fourth and I'm ashamed to admit fifth one caused me pain and discomfort that I would not wish on anyone. I did not test the product as the instructions advise. I figured that I didn't have any issues before, why would I now. If only I had listened lol. There were no problems immediately after I applied it in the late afternoon. However the next day my face burned and itched unlike nothing I had ever felt before. I kept telling myself not to scratch it but that proved impossible. After a short time of insane itching and scratching I noticed edema on my finger tips that was caused by the blisters that had formed and that I kept scratching. By my estimation this was comparable to a first to second degree burn.

This was way worse than the worst sunburn that I've ever had. My face started to swell, not only was it visible but I could feel a ridge that started right at my beard line. This insanity lasted a couple of days in which I seriously considered going to the ER. I looked on the internet and I saw where ** cream would help. That did nothing. Then I read where apple cider vinegar would stop the itch. Sure enough, that worked. It burned like holy hell and I would have to sit in front of a fan but it stopped the itch and actually promoted healing. Then I took some ** pills that helped ease the itching even more and got the swelling to go down.

As I mentioned earlier this episode wasn't enough to teach me to never use this product again. After a couple of months I thought maybe it wasn't that bad. So I dyed my hair. Fortunately it the effects wasn't as severe on my head but it was still very uncomfortable. However I had the exact same reaction on my face as if I had dyed my beard. Blisters, the whole nine yards. I'm posting this 4 weeks after that last episode and my face is a dried up mess. No more blisters or itchiness. But there isn't enough moisturizer in the world to satisfy the need of my face. I wake up in the morning and have to wash my face with a wash cloth in order to wipe off the dried up cells that have collected. I have to do this 2 or 3 times a day and then apply a thin coat of ** cream followed by a thin coat of moisturizer.

This is my take on JFM. Yes, it definitely needs to be taken off the market. I'm not entirely convinced that they changed an ingredient that's causing all this. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I personally believe that I reached my tolerance level and my body could not deal with it anymore. It's happened to me with other products though not with the severity of consequences. This is just my opinion. To anyone trying this for the first or the tenth time, I would exercise extreme caution.

Used this product diligently and sported a nice beard with lots of compliments for almost 3 years until March - horrific rashes and discomfort with oozing sores etc. Turned out they made some change that created a terrible reaction for many. I spent over $500 in physician’s visits and topical medications while trying to find cause. Missed work time and had some stress associated with the unknown cause. In time I shaved and found that it was the product when I applied the amber dye component to my arm and found the rash grew gradually from that point of application. The white developer and the hair dye had no reaction.

I used CVS brand hair color but was discontinued in med brown so tried Just for Men. I broke out in hives in large bumps on sides of my face accompanied with itching and burning. CVS brand did not do that to that degree.

This is horrible. I started using JFM July of 2016 and it worked great until the beginning of this year, 2017. I woke up at 2am with seeping sores on my face. Burning, itching and sticky puss running down the sides of my face. I don't know what the Hell they did to the formula, but I simply can no longer use it as the pain is horrendous. It has done this to me the last three times I used it. First I thought it was due to leaving it on too long, so I tried less time, still it happened. So then I thought maybe it is because I switched from light brown to dark brown and went back to the light brown and it still did it. So now I simply have to quit using this. Which is a shame because it works great and the color lasts me about three weeks. But I'm sitting here with puss running down my face and neck with my face on fire as I type. JFM change back, PLEASE!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just For Men?

My husband has been using Just For Men mustache hair dye for the past few years. When he uses it his skin gets oozing blisters and very painful. Have you changed your formula? He never had bad reactions before from it. I would advise you to check into this. I see tons of complaints. He will not be using it again.

I used this product about 15 times with good results... then all of a sudden every time I've used it, burned my skin, broke out in puss etc. I've stop for weeks... brought same product at different stores thinking it would help and no it burns my skin... Even a year later I tried again thinking maybe they found out the issues and still burnt next day... Don't use this product.

I have been using JFM for around three years with no issues. In the last few months I have experienced swollen lips, burning lips, dry cracked lips and redness with burning and itching on the chin. I actually was putting an ice pack on my lips as they were burning and swollen so bad. After I read that JFM claim nothing has changed, never having an issue prior I didn't stop usage immediately. After stopping usage the issues have subsided. So it was JFM causing this. After research I am not alone with this issue. They claim nothing has changed but I call BS; maybe the board members of Combe Inc. should use their product and experience what having your lips on fire feels like.

I had used this product a couple of times last year without issue. Last week I decided to do it again before a wedding. I did the patch test they recommend for allergies and had no issues. About 24 hours after applying the dye I started feeling an itching sensation. Very quickly that developed into burn like marks all over my face that have been getting worse with each day. I genuinely don't complain about things, but please believe me when I tell you that everything people have written in these reviews is true. It's been a full week and every day the burns/abrasions get worse. Please don't use this product. Not only is it extremely painful, but I'm embarrassed to leave the house. I ruined my pillow & pillow case, and even got my couch stained with blood. Basically anything that touches my face gets ruined because it's constantly seeping. This product needs to be yanked off the market. I can't believe they can get away with selling this to people.

My husband used Just for Men, and suffered a severe chemical burn. Within hrs, through the night, and into the next morning, he had severe itching, burning, welts and blisters weeping, rash that was spreading. The back of his neck was full of blisters, and his scalp was blood red. He washed his hair so many times, took ** and cortisone cream on his scalp, and is now using Aloe Vera. It is absolutely horrible, and totally unexpected. This was bad stuff for him, and many have gone through the same thing with this product.

I've been using JFM (Black Men) over four years with no incident and the past five months product has given me scabs, puss, clear liquid leakage and terrible itching. What the heck did you do new to the formula? Very dissatisfied and upset about this.

I have been using Just For Men for about a year and have had no issues with it till this past use. Woke up about 3 in the morning to find my face itching and blistering. My lips are swollen and my chin is seeping pretty bad. The product was the dark black version. I will not be buying this product again. I am very disappointed about how this has turned out!! From reading the other reviews I have found that this horrible condition can last for over a week. Not happy!

After carefully reading about the preparations and procedure for using JFM, I was pleased that after applying it, my mostly silver hair was a light brown color. This was my objective. But after several days, I began to experience itching. At any given time this involved no more than 1-2 areas of my body. The area(s) could be localized anywhere from the top of my head to my ankles. Some days were worse than others. After about two weeks, the itching went away. [Then, I did a second patch test for allergenicity, which was negative, like the first one.] The duration and intensity of these effects were similar to my skin reaction in the past when I have accidentally made contact with poison ivy leaves, but different in that there were no red welts.

As 73 year old retired biochemist, I’m familiar with the ingredients in JFM and their possible allergenicity. The chemical structures of two of these, p-phenylenediamine and 4-hydroxycatechol are problematic. A Google search, keyword p-phenylenediamine, clearly provided abundant evidence of its allergenic potential. 4-Hydroxycatechol (1,2,4-trihydroxybenzene) is a structural relative of the allergens in poison ivy. So even though I really liked the way my hair looked after use of JFM hair coloring, I obviously won’t be able to use it again. Or for that matter any of the others because they all seem to contain one or both of the substances above that I suspect caused my itching problem.

My husband has used Just For Men Hair Color twice in the past without any problems. The day before Easter I put Just For Men hair color on my husband and I put remainder on my edges, afterwards he complained that the product was itching. We washed it out and he stated that it was still itching with a burning sensation. I washed it again then we went to sleep. The next day my husband and sores and bumps around his neck and ears and he stated that it was still itching and burning. I looked at his neck and it was red with bumps and part of his chest had small red bumps as well.

Later that day my ears and chest became inflamed with fine bumps and around my edges were itching and burning. The itching was so bad neither of us had ever experienced such reaction. We googled the product and found out that there were over 700 complaints with the same reaction as ours. Just for Men to take the product off the market until they have corrected the chemical components that's causing this painful and costly side effect. My husband and I had to go to the doctor to get a shot and other medication to alleviate this rash. I hope no one else use this product until it can be determined that Just for Men is safe.

I have used JFM for 12-15 yrs on a mostly weekly basis. I have never had a problem with it until the past 6 months. It started with what looked like impetigo around my mouth (got an antibiotic). This past winter it got worse and I had the horrible itching, redness, scabby/** sores. I wanted to rip my face off. It wasn't impetigo at all, but the results of using this product. It seems that they must have changed the formula as I had used it weekly for all those years and was completely satisfied. Why can't they just admit they made a mistake and go back to the former formula so men like me can use it again. My husband has recently been having the same issues.

I have used JFM (Real Black) for about 6 months. Each time I have done the skin test on my arm with no reaction. I bought a box in February 2017 and used it a couple times. The second time I used it was April 5. Within 24 hours my face became swollen. My face felt like it was on fire from the burning I encountered. At night I would wake up to my face leaking pus and fluids that ended up becoming crusty scabs. All around my mouth my lips had swelled. My face under my beard and mustache was red from the burning which lasted a week.

I had to reach out to the doctor to have steroid cream prescribed to help control the itching and burning. Was also put on ** for 5 days. Today I still have flakiness and itching around my mouth. I don't understand how a product has so many complaints regarding chemical burns, since 2012, how it can still be put on store shelves. This company needs to be sued, and this product knowing that there are many issues out there needs to be banned from store shelves. Like the cigarette manufacturers having to put labels on their packaging about what smoking can do to your health with pictures of lung cancer.

They need to post warnings and pictures of how your face can look after using JFM products on their packaging. Pretty sure there would be a tremendous loss of sales in the product. Maybe I could be the poster guy for this advertising. Definitely will never ever use this product again and will search to find a product that is safer and all natural.

My (ex) Husband has been using Just for Men for 10-15 years with zero incident. The past two or so times he used it he developed pus filled blisters and horrible scabbing along his lip. The first time he thought it was dry skin, or whatever... but the next time, his ENTIRE lip was filled with this stuff. He did see a dermatologist, who at first thought it was a cold sore outbreak... nope. Whatever they have done, they need to un-do. There is not really another product on the market for frequent dyeing of beard/mustache hair.

I have been using Just for Men beard dye dark brown on my beard for over a year and a half now. Up until the last couple months I have had zero issues. In the last couple of months I have had itching and some redness. Since I have not had issues in the past I wasn't sure it was the dye. Then today I used it in the AM and by late afternoon my face was red and blisters appeared on my chin. There is no doubt that it was caused by the beard dye. Watch out if you use this. Something has changed with this product.

UK customer here. I've purchased JFM three times to dye my beard (their moustache and beard medium brown formula). Once in early 2016, once in late 2016 and once in early 2017. The last two times I've suffered quite substantial irritation and itchiness of the skin under my beard - to the point at which I've created some sores. The itching persists for almost a week. Now looking for alternative brands.

My husband used this product for the first time like a month ago and it looked good the first two days then all of a sudden he got red and itchy rash on scalp, neck, sideburns, mustache, behind ears and on his shoulders and back. It looked like chemical burns! I have been in healthcare for 14 yrs and never seen nothing like this! The rashes cleared after several weeks of using Aloe Vera gel and coconut oil but, now he has these nasty puss filled blisters on his head that are hard and crusty and very painful! Can someone help with what's the best thing to use and should we consult a lawyer???

I've used this product for the past 5 years to cover up some gray areas on my chin. Have never had an issue in the past until now. Used the JFM medium Brown at 8 pm last night. Left it in only 4 minutes. Not 2 hours later began to itch. Woke up at 3 just wanting to rip my chin off from the burning and itching. Woke up at 6 am with oozing sores. This is very frustrating as I had a meeting to attend. Will never use this product again and should be compensated. There has to be something that changed in the chemical make up of this product. JFM needs to pull this product until they fix the issue.

I've been using this product for almost 10 years now and was mostly satisfied with it. The only issue I had up until now was that the color dye didn't last as long as I would have liked it to. Recently I bought a new box and it caused some pretty severe skin problems around my upper lip area. The skin problems are: horrible itching, heat, redness, and bumps of pus festering underneath on skin that keep oozing. So because of that I'm afraid to try this or any other hair coloring dye ever again. I feel like they changed something in the formula. Will never use this product again. I would not recommend this item to anyone.

I'm writing to you because of the terrible experience I had with Just For Men. Burning, blistering, and weeping from dangerous chemicals that lasted for 2 weeks. I have pictures of my face that I took during this nightmare experience just in case you are interested.

I have been using Just For Men beard & mustache dye for several years, noticed lately some itching & bumps around lips. I thought maybe it was from the cold weather but realized this was only happening after I was coloring my goatee. Checked online to see what I could do to alleviate the pain & itching, & stumbled upon this thread. Wish I would've seen this months ago. I agree with others that have stated they must have changed the formula. This is horrible & I am done with JFM as of today. Very embarrassing with constant sores around your mouth. I hope they discontinue this product & pull it from shelves ASAP.

I bought a new package of Just For Men a few days ago and used it yesterday morning. Burning and seeping blisters, and I swear my face is swollen. NEVER had anything like that before. There has to have been a formula change. This product should be pulled, does anyone know of any lawsuits regarding this matter? I recall a couple of years back. They were asking guys to contact a certain law firm regarding this matter, this is a damn shame.

Dangerous chemicals - I have heard that "Just For Men" has been around since 1987. I used this product back in 2001 and had very little irritation from its use. Recently, I used the product again, in fact, just a couple days ago. I did a test area as the directions suggest. After using the product for the full use of coloring my hair and beard it did work. I had several comments on the way it enhanced my looks and helped get the gray away. Only one problem, it's only been 24 hours and I am fully broke out with blisters, bumps and redness throughout and a itchy scalp. I pray this goes away quick but the irritation is only getting worse. Already have open oozing wounds that feel and look terrible. I may need to go into ER if this persist. This product needs to be pulled from the entire market.

Used both the comb in gel as well as the tube gel mix. Left on beard and mustache for absolutely five minutes. I set cell alarm as I didn't want this product to again roast my face as in the past. Used before and suffered some redness and itchiness as it must contain an overwhelming amount of bleach. Used this last Thursday 1/26/17. M-25 Light Brown... Noticed 2 days after application itchiness and burning and worse was the chap lips. Used Blistex and Carmex extensively to give some minor relief. As for cheeks and beard, I'm suffering from incredible amount of heat and itchiness that could make a guy scratch raw! I've applied a burn gel that's used for 2nd degree burns and still hurts like hell! Afraid to shave beard and mustache to only see the bumps of pus festering underneath on skin.

This product works, but for a quick color for a week or 2 and $10.00 just not worth the Damn pain. I will discontinue this product. My face looks like it's Damn walted and burned. Thank god, it's winter here... Been telling people it's windburn from cold weather. Embarrassed to even tell my coworkers the damn truth! This product needs to be evaluated and made better for consumers period or pulled from damn shelves. I WILL tell C.V.S. and Walgreen stores and also provide my pictures for proof. Shame on a product that causes such pain! Never Again JFM! I hope they're sued!

The worst product! I used it on 012917 around 2:30pm, the next day I woke up with blisters and liquid draining from my face mustache and beard. I read online some remedies to minimize some of the pain, but I ultimately had to seek professional help. Not to mention having to explain to family and coworkers the rash or redness wasn't an STD since puss was coming out of the area around my mouth. This product needs to be out of the shelves and consumers need to get compensated since it is very uncomfortable.

First time I used Just For Men beard and mustache dye it was ok. After the second time after 2 hours my face started to itch with a vengeance and I noticed red bumps then blisters. This product should be banned from sale. It made my life impossible for 2 weeks. Nothing stopped the itching and the blisters made me very ashamed at the way I looked. I am a copier tech and have to see and talk to customers all day every day. ** damn you Just For Men. Thanks for ruining my looks. Customers would ask me if I was ok. Hope you money hungry bastard are happy. Stop selling this disfiguring product. I am still itching as I write this review.

I've been using JFM for over 10 years, recently began itching, redness, weeping sores. Doctor thought it was flocculates. I stopped using JFM for 10 days to allow the flocculates to clear up. Grew my goatee out again, colored it with JFM and the itching, redness, weeping sores returned 9 hours after applying JFM. There HAS to be a change in formulation that JFM is not admitting to - or there is a severe issue with their production equipment.

Just For Men Company Profile