1.11/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

855 Just For Men Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

This product does not work at all and it can be dangerous for you. It does tint your gray hair even if you leave it for long time. Waste of money. The cheapest CVS hair color brand does a better job and it is cheaper than this crap of Just For Men.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Decide to dye my Beard, chose JFM as I thinking it would be a safe brand. However after using, my face around my beard became sore and itchy. Over the next few days it became dry and tight, then cracked, and weeped constantly. It was very worrying and painful, as well as being noticeable and embarrassing. I didn't want to be seen and was extremely worried about the long term effect. After about 10 days and after having to shave my beard off it cleared, but I will never use a JFM product again!!

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I read many of the reviews. I have been using this product for years. Used January 15th - ended up in ER the 16th with severe swelling and problems exactly like others report even to the point of throat closing up. To report what helped me is ** shots - more than 2 at ER - as well as Histamine Blockers if that helps anyone. This is nuts what this product does now to someone. I did do test and know this product. What has happened? And they do nothing. I’m still in pain and discharged today at 8 pm from ER.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Box used in the December 2018 caused me SEVERE chemical burns across my ENTIRE face. Blessing, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, peeling. Burning. Itching. Orange fluid leaking from face 24/7. 3 ER visits since January 1st. Contracted Cellulitis. Rash somehow spread to my ears and neck area. Going on 3 weeks now and progressively getting worse every day. I have been in contact with Cochran law firm and will be attempting to file a class action lawsuit. I encourage the rest of you to jump on as well. I'm not even allowed to go to work because of how hideous and disgusting the injury looks. I recommend that everyone discontinues the use of all Just For Men products immediately.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Like many other reviews, I have been using Just For Men Beard and Mustache for approx 4 years without problems. Always completely satisfied although I usually suffered a little redness for a day after use which quickly disappeared. However, the last couple of months (Oct 2018-Jan 2019) I have suffered severe swollen and chapped lips. Also within 6 hours of using the beard dye I have blisters develop and erupt with yellow pus seeping out followed by 4 days of intense itching and scratching. The blisters then become thick crusty scabs. At the beginning I thought I'd developed a food allergy until reading that so many other men have recently starting experiencing similar reactions. Clearly the product has been changed, probably to increase profits. I've noticed that the price of this product is always at a promotional low price, possibly because people have stopping buying this - like me!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just For Men?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I have been using Just For Men products (hair and mustache) for over 15 years. Always completely satisfied with the outcome. Now, over the last two purchases, when I use it my lips are chapped and a yellowish substance is weeping from my upper lip. Obviously I will not be using it until they admit they changed their formula. I just don't understand why companies mess with successful products. They have lost me as a consumer, at least for now.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Have horrible irritation from the last batch of JFM, just like the others. Add me to the list. I found that ** creme has helped a little. Even **. Really wish they hadn't changed their chemicals. Sucks.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have used Just For Men often for years when I need to clear all traces of my previous coloured hairstyles of blue or red. However this last batch I used has left me with a burning puss filled spotty rash under my head which keeps blistering and crusting over causing much distress and physical appearance embarrassment with the protruding pimples. Not a good look for a social man of 28!! I will not be buying JFM products anytime soon, 6 weeks have passed and I am still in spotty blistering frustration. I have booked an appointment at the doctors for advice and lost a days work wage for having to do so! On a positive note, my hair is dark brown as desired albeit on top of a raging volcano of red puss pimpled pain.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have used this product for years with great success. I use it not only to touch up my mid length beard but for my hair too as the brush means it looks really natural as some grey remains. In November 2018 I dyed as normal once a month and during that night had the most painful itchy head and face, could not stop scratching and struggled to sleep. Woke up to find my pillow was soaking wet and had a yellowish stain. My head and face were red, slightly swollen, oozing and really itchy.

Got an emergency GP appointment and as I had always dyed didn't think it was that especially. As I had scratched it so much during the night I had inflamed it more and cause an infection so had a prescription of antihistamines and T-Gel shampoo. Took about a week but the weeping stopped, the redness and soreness cleared but I still had itchy scalp and dandruff (which I've never had in 49 years before) so continued to use dandruff shampoo.

Dyed as usual a month later and exactly the same but again I thought it was a dermatitis issue, saw the doctor and have been on anti-fungal tablets. In a few days the weeping, redness, etc cleared and thought the tablets was the cure. Tonight dyed again but only my beard and now the penny has dropped! No issue in my scalp or hair but beard is dripping with ooze very red and sore and itchy and I haven't scratched it at all. Now I'm more aware. DEFINITELY the hair dye causing the problem. I've sent an email to JFM asking what has changed in the product as something clearly has as I had no issue for many years and since November 2018 it's having an extremely bad reaction to my face and scalp. DO NOT USE!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have been using JFM for nearly 4 years without any issues. It is New Year's day 2019 I did not go out or be with my family because of the embarrassment of the skin sores, the peeling, the redness that this product has produced since they have changed something in it. It will stop you from doing what you want to do because of a complex. Last week I went to the doctor and got a shot of cortisone because they didn't know what it was. This week I was looking to go to a dermatologist. I think I'll skip so. Do not use this product as it will ruin your skin, cause inflammation, and cause permanent damage. The irritation spread throughout my face, started behind my ear, caused lesions, redness, and eventually around my torso including my back. I don't know at this point if it is reversible. It is painful, irritating, embarrassing, disabling. This product will ruin you. Whatever JFM did to the previously satisfactory chemical formula.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Just like the other reviews I’ve use this product for approximately three years with no problems. Then all of a sudden in mid November I experience or redness burning and blistering to my face. I have a reddish tent to my face which I’m hoping is not permanent but I’m in the process of getting a dermatology referral. Looking into legal actions against Just For Men.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I’ve been using this product for about a year and had no problems. The last box I got mixed it up and apply to my beard. I had a burning sensation so I washed it off and didn’t think nothing of it. The next day I woke up my face felt itchy and I had scabs and I was dripping liquid off my beard. This is the last time I’m product. I think they change the chemicals in it.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I have used this product for years but just occasionally without any problem. Yesterday I used and follow instructions but after a few hours, my beard area feels like it's on fire also itching terribly. My skin started to leak some yellow fluid continuously that I have to be changing towels very often. Today it's the second day and the situation is worse, my face is swollen, the itching, the leaking and pain and other symptoms are getting worse. JFM, remove this product from the shelves!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

BEWARE. Whatever they put in this stuff, it can't be good for you. Followed the directions to a T. The result did not look good immediately after coloring and styling. My normal hair color is dark brown. This was way too dark with no variation in color among the hair strands...like a cheap Halloween wig. Then the itching started. After three days, I have disgusting, weeping open sores along my hairline behind my ear. Really makes it painful to wear my glasses. I have previously used JFM touch-of-grey products with no such reaction. I guess I'll go back to that once this mess heals. I was looking for something a little darker...and it is definitely darker...but this was a horrible experience. I do not recommend this for anyone. Not worth the risk. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have used Just For Men for probably 20 years with no issues. The last few boxes I bought have made my face break out and itch. Now I have some kind of pus coming out my lips. Something has changed. Crazy.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I used Just For Men beard and mustache coloring for two years with no issues. About a month ago I used a new package on my beard and mustache and an hour later had terrible burning and itching. It lasted several days and was miserable. The itching was worse than poison ivy. I quit using the product and finally have some relief after about a week.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I’ve been using Just For Men beard dye since around May 2018. Each use has seen increased levels of itch and burn, lasting about 2 weeks. The last application was on December 2, 2018, which was by far the worst experience I’ve had with severe itching and orange oozing. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! As of the writing on 12/16/2018, the grays are returning, but the itching had stopped. What the heck is wrong with Just For Men?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

No previous issues with this product, everyone commented how much younger I looked! Then behold, two weeks ago the day after use I thought (mistakenly) that I had developed a cold sore. Nope, it turns out (after spreading to more of my face) it is the product producing the sores. Until I googled to see if anyone else was suffering, I had no idea how widespread this issue is! Clearly there is something awry with the product that needs to be dealt with!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I've used JFM for over a year, without any issue. The last time I used it, it has caused skin discolouration. Initially, I thought it will go away, but after about 4-5 months, I'm still living with it. I see a lot of reviews here with similar complaints. I'm seeing a dermatologist later this month, but would like to know if anyone found a way to cure the discolouration of the skin (which is similar to vitiligo, though in most people that would be caused naturally, in this instance JFM seems to have been the culprit). As this is below my moustache, makes me annoyed and feel uncomfortable going outside including to work.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have used Just For Men for several years with no issue. Like the other posters starting in 2018 something has changed. Now nearly every time I use the product my skin is heavily irritated under my beard. Like the others posting I might get dry skin or sores. Definitely something changed in their formulation and it's not good. I'm looking for other products and would recommend against this one until the company tells us what has changed or changes it back.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Hi, I have been using JFM for around 5 years now and today when I colored my hair after about 8 weeks, I have broken out with this terrible rash and itch at the base of my head and around my neck, ears, shoulders etc. There is puss oozing from a big lump at the base of my head and many other smaller like big pimples forming too. WTF JFM. Did we get into a bad batch that JFM sold us. Everyone go to the clinic and have it documented. War. I AM A 54 YR. WOMAN.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is my second box of JFM medium brown. The first box worked with no issues. No pain. No irritation. No orange pus. This second box is a different story. I’ve used the second box on two separate occasions thinking the first occasion I did something wrong. I followed the instructions like I always do. These last two times creates a burning rash that scabbed up the skin under my beard. Over the period of a week after using it I got a painful itchy rash that excreted a lot of orange-tinted fluid song with a TON of pain and discomfort. WTF JFM? This product is dangerous and I believe the manufacturer made an error with the latest round of product. I’ve experienced a lot of pain, discomfort, embarrassment and it’s impacted my ability to work and relax. FML JFM.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have been using JFM for over 20 years. Recently as of 11/21/18 I used a box of dark brown. I used it before going to bed. I woke up with burning and itching face. I also had red bumps. Not sure what happened but I would think the product has been changed. I have never had problems with the product in over 20 years. I did have to cut my nails so I wouldn’t scratch my face and also keep a hairbrush on my nightstand when my beard starts to itch.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Well...boy did I get a laugh (sarcastically) when I read the reviews here. About 2 months ago...I buy JFM Beard Dark Brown. Use it, a day later, my face itches like something awful, couple red spots, I shrug it off as small irritation. MAN AM I AN IDIOT. I buy the same stuff last week, mix it the same way and proceed to COAT my beard and mustache, heavily. This was Saturday night. Well, here I am, Monday night...my face (under my beard and mustache) is completely ravished with red wounds. Just like 90% of the other reviews: red sores, raw, leaking watery fluid. They crust up, super hard, and flake off in this orange tint, crusty gel substance. It's either bone dry and hurts to even stretch my mouth open or they open up and it feels like my beard and mustache are soaked with water.

I am NOT shaving. I can see the wounds when I pull apart my beard...so here I am, taking antihistamines and coating my face in ** (healing gel). There's a nice red hue trailing the outline of my mustache and beard which is embarrassing enough. By the looks of the other reviews...I guess I'm in for a fun week or so! Thanks JFM. I have 2 or 3 half dollar sized chemical burns on my cheeks and my entire mustache/lip line is crusted over. I wish and hope ANYONE reads this before putting this garbage on their face. I'm not in as much pain as some of the other gents here but it sure is disgusting, uncomfortable, unsightly, and very tedious and annoying to treat. This needs to be pulled from the shelves IMMEDIATELY.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been using this product for a couple of months without issue, after using it for the last time as per the instructions my face and sideburns started to become itchy and after about an hour I started getting swelling and blistering. I proceeded to wash my beard again with cold water there was no colouring apparent so I had washed my beard very well the first time. This product seems to be very inconsistent with its strength and mix, if you use this product be very careful, not happy and in a great deal of discomfort.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I thought it was me. Today I asked my barber and he said to be careful with what I use to dye my beard since he noticed my entire mouth is dry and lips are chipped. I just google and I notice lots of people are experiencing the same thing, I'm in shock. I think a class action lawsuit should be done because they did changed their formula to make it stronger and has affected lots of users, the company did not provided enough time for testing this product before they took it out to the market. Shame on them.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been using this product twice a month ($20) for around 8 years and it was great. I was always satisfied until around 2 months ago. I have used it for so long that I just open it and know what to do and then all of a sudden the same thing as all of these reviews have happened to me. Horrible burning and itching. WTF happened? I came across this page when I googled how to use Just For Men without burning your face. I thought that I was doing something different, but now I see. I looked for anything similar to buy and there isn't anything. I'm actually very pissed off right now. I have spent around $2k on this product and they just change it and don't do anything about all of us getting burns and permanent damage done to our faces?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Beard dye. Have been using for 5 years or more. All of a sudden itches and burns and makes like a ring around my beard! Bright red! Painful! Want to itch my face off! Has ruined whatever function I dyed my beard for to look nice. Followed the instructions to a tee including a timer! Pain, pain, pain. All of a sudden!!! Takes several days to heal and then scabs. Have tried using everything under the sun to relieve the pain including **, aloe, cortisone, ice, etc. but nothing works! They have to had changed the formula or something! Class action lawsuit please!!! Use with extreme caution!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

It was the day before Thanksgiving (Nov. 21, 2018) and I was really looking forward to spending time with my two little girls and the rest of the family. We all live in different cities and we don't get that much time with one another. So I wanted to look my best. Fresh hair cut, clothes packed, clean trim on my beard and ready to hit the road. But wait, I should probably touch up the little bit of white coming in on the goatee part of my beard.

I had used this product exactly twice in the past with great results. Except, I was a little hesitant because the second time I had used it I experienced some mild skin irritation. Burning, Itching, etc.. Manageable discomfort in my opinion and a price I was willing to pay to look good for my beloved daughters. So, I proceed to cautiously and sparingly apply it to my beard and decide to leave it in for no more than two minutes instead of the recommended five. Jump in the shower hot water, soap, shampoo, condition thoroughly. I get out get dressed, check the results. No irritation, no burning, looks pretty good as there was still a little white showing where I didn't get great coverage or leave it in nearly as long as instructed. No big deal as I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Upon nearing the end of the nearly five hour drive to arrive at the family farm where we will be spending the holiday and my face is on Fire! Immediately Followed by Severe Swelling (cheeks, chin, neck and then puffy eyes), Insatiable Itching, Redness, Blisters, Horrendous Pain and Weeping. By weeping I don't mean crying (although I wanted to) but the weeping fluid that was clear and would be literally dripping, almost flowing, like a faucet left on so the pipes don't freeze. I had to carry around paper towels to soak up the fluid as toilet paper just couldn't absorb enough. It was embarrassing as no one wants to see that while they are trying to enjoy their meal.

This continued all through the Holiday weekend and I managed to not complain about my discomfort too much, trying to ensure that my daughters would one day remember this as a pleasant experience with their father and extended family. Day 6 (Nov 26th) I was returning to work and nothing I was doing to help remedy the situation was helping. I was using ** for the pain. ** for the swelling and to help get at least a little sleep. I even tried using my aunts Steroid Cream. No Dice. The only relief I could find was submerging my face in really HOT water for as long as I could stand it and cleaning up the oozing mess every hour on the hour.

Day 7 - No Improvement and noticed the weeping was turning a slight yellow, had an odor, and was now sticky like tree sap. Day 8 - I had to leave work early with a fever, muscle aches, joint pain and inflammation. I carefully shaved my beard to get a closer look at what was going on and get more aggressive with the cleaning regiment and possibly consider seeking medical treatment. Shaving revealed a chemically scorched face from ear to ear with the worst of it at my chin. Cleaning with Hot water to open the pores and using a wash rag to push in on the skin and twist would release small amounts of puss from each and every hair follicle that the chemical had touched. Very intense pain is an understatement!

Every hair follicle felt like hot needle being buried in my skin, Or like a splinter that you just can't get out. I would spend 15 - 30 minutes every hour repeating the procedure over the course of Day 9 and 10. Bedridden for two days with a wash rag to soak up the infection as it now began to harden into a superglue like texture only 15 minutes after getting it completely clean. I was truly miserable experience... Worse than my broken ankle, wrist, nose, and clavicle on the pain scale, but not quite as bad as Rheumatic Fever (Imagine Rheumatoid Arthritis + High Grade Fever) that almost had killed me 10 years ago.

Day 11 After knocking myself out with a ** induced coma to ensure some sleep would occur I awoke to find the infection had hardened into a greenish, awful smelling mask across my chin and that it had spread to the back of my hands. The infection had either entered my blood stream (life threatening) or by blotting the puss with the back of my hands while falling asleep the night before. Even more concerning is I could not swallow, talk, and beginning to have difficulty breathing. I awoke my roommate to drive me to the Hospital. I have an extremely high pain tolerance and consider myself able to tough out most things. But, this is getting close to becoming a serious risk of death! Infection in your blood stream is no joke.

The physicians diagnosis: Severe chemical burns that lead to open wounds on my face becoming infected with Staph Infection that spread to my hands by contact, Plus Strep Throat due to an exhausted immune response while battling the infection. A Steroid shot was administered that immediately helped my throat swelling. Topical and oral antibiotic along with an oral steroid were prescribed.

Day 12 - After the hospital and spending day 11 and 12 with what had become the normal hourly cleaning routine combined with topical antibiotic to my face and hands after cleaning, plus steroid... I finally believe the infection has been completely removed and doesn't appear to be returning. The raw patches on my cheeks are now bleeding for the first time and beginning to scab over. However, my chin is completely numb to the touch now; like the nerve endings have been permanently damaged and there is a small "bleached out" looking spot of skin that I'm hoping the color and pigment return. In addition, I notice that some patches of skin are no longer able to grow hair. Day 13 - (currently today) I returned to work for a half day and haven't noticed any further improvement to chin numbness, skin color disfiguration, or hair follicle growth. These results may be permanent. I pray not.

In reflection. The only initial goal was to cover up a little white in my beard, to look a little better for my daughters that I adore and don't get to see nearly enough. Only to endure two weeks of HELL. Including forced smiles at Thanksgiving to cover the pain, seeing the faces of concern and disgust in peoples faces when they look at me, sleeplessness, worry, work time earnings lost, hospital expense, and possible permanent scarring is more than unacceptable. It's downright negligent and criminal that someone is making a buck off of this poison!

I may plan to seek legal action depending on if the remaining injuries turn out to be permanent. Or, if the CEO making a fortune off this stuff wants to volunteer for a good 'ole fashioned ** beating then I will kindly deliver. Don't worry, I will just send you to the hospital and leave you just a little permanently disfigured! Sounds like an adequate and equal response to me... Buyer Beware. G' Day.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I had used this product for well over 20 years without any issues and with good results. But all of a sudden in middle of 2018, things changed drastically. Many reactions like others - itching, slight burning, pimple like swelling and even oozing. So I called the company but the lady just told me that nothing is different. Very obviously, it is NOT TRUE. The company should go back to analyze the formula to see what got changed to make it cheaper or have they changed source of imported components they are using to make this products - maybe they cheapened it to make more profit. BEWARE of Legal actions!!! That's more costly!

Just For Men Company Information