1.03/5
Based on 50 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Just For Men

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 18, 2018

756 Just For Men Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

This hair dye is horrible. I could not sleep last night due to the burning and endless itching of my face. Today now 24 hours after using it, part of my face is still burning and the other part is itching. I can see the redness under my beard where this chemical or whatever they put in their dye has scorched my skin. I will never use this again, there has to be something better than this out there!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have used this product before and was satisfied, but the last 2 times I used it, there were severe reactions on my skin. The most recent use was the most severe. Weeping blisters, itching, redness and severe irritation occurred. The reaction lasted a long time despite washing out the product in less time than recommended on the instructions. Reaction started within hours of application and lasted about a week before starting to subside.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

OMG. I echo everyone else. I started using JFM about a year ago. It worked great. I am ** so I used the jet black mustache and beard. My beard is thin and low (less than half an inch thick). However, starting in Oct 2017 I started getting a weird stinging/burning after each application... I didn't think much of it... I also started getting what I perceived as irritations from "ingrown hairs" in my beard that were very itchy and painful and would bleed and scab. Still I didn't think much about it or connect the dots. I continued to use JFM every week to more irritation and then started noticing a red rash on my neck, and pectoral/chest. Still didn't put it all together and continued to use JFM.

The final straw came in Jan 2018 when the itchy, stinging and pain in my beard and the itchy rash on my neck and chest became so severe that out of desperation I shaved my beard off to address the perceived issue of "ingrown hairs)...and to my horror I realized that they were not ingrown hairs but rather large discolored lesions that I can only describe as clear puss filled scabby burns all along my face's beard line. It was then that I started searching the net and to my horror saw all of these other complaints. I went to doctor for treatment and was prescribed a steroid cream. This is the only thing that has given me some semblance of relief. ** jfm.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Been using JFM for many years. Like the others I have developed a itchy rash under my beard. The dye that gets on my skin does not seem to be affected. It appears that only the skin where the hair follicles have been dyed are affected. I only have a goatee so I'm guessing my skin irritation is not as severe as those I see posting that seem to have full beards etc. It appears the more hair you have to dye the more of whatever it is that does this absorbs through your follicles. So the more you use the worse your reaction seems to be. I will find another product because I cannot tolerate the itching and the sores that happen because of the irritation.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have used JFM for 16 years. It has only been recently, like the past three months I have noticed that I am experiencing constant itching and burning on my skin under my beard. I have no idea what has happened to this product but I don't like it one bit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just For Men?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Been using JFM for more than a year now, without any side effects. Two days ago, I applied #45 Dark Brown (ordered 3-pack from Amazon) on my beard and mustache that is quite short (1/4”) and on the first day it seems to be pretty normal, but yesterday, I feel some itches and rashes on the areas applied. Tried to put some lotion to relieve some of the itchiness but the rashes now are visible. I've read before reviews regarding rashes/irritations but with skin test performed prior to every application, I assured myself that I was one of the lucky few. But now, even with the passing of skin test I've got these rashes. Won't use JFM again...ever. The skin test that they strongly recommend does not guarantee allergy-free result.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Like many other users here, I had used the product a number of times without issue, then seemingly out of the blue I got itchy redness under my beard that lasted for weeks. A lot of people here suggesting a formula change, yet I've seen reports like this from as far back as 2012, so not sure that is it...

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I used JFM hair dye for over a year. Recently I used it and it burned and now it's swollen with pus coming out. I want people to be aware. This product was good but something has changed and it seems I'm not the only person to have experienced this reaction.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Have used Just For Men beard and mustache dye for many years. But the burning, and itching is almost not worth the pain. For the first 3 days after applying the dye is miserable. It usually takes a week for healing. I really wish I could find a beard and mustache dye without the side effects.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I've been using this product for 15 years or more and never had a problem with it until about 5 months ago. They must have changed the chemical makeup of this product for I now after all this time end up with itchy sores all over my head and blisters on my upper back. Why won't this company fess up and change it back to what they used to offer. I too contacted Combe with no response.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I have used JFM beard dye for years. Over the last 8 or 9 months I have been having rashes on my face and neck. Blisters on my lips happen also. The rashes have gotten progressively worse the last few times I have used the product. Now my chest is breaking out with severe itching. My face burns and itches all the time now, especially at night. Just have connected this problem with JFM after finding this website with all of these complaints. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to new medicine I have been taking. Dang, I'm never using JFM again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Used this product for the first time ever. Within one minute of applying it I felt my head burn. I have used hair dyes in the past with no problems. Washed this out after less than the allotted 5 mins as I couldn’t stand the pain. My hair looks very good. But as I sit here now after an hour my head is still burning and itchy and very irritated.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I have been growing my first beard, after 49 years starting November "17". Used JFM mustache and beard color to get rid of the gray. After a couple of uses, I noticed red blotches on the skin beneath my beard. I thought initially that it was irritated from grooming it. After another application of the Just For Men, I had even more of a blotchy rash and this time it kept me awake at night with extreme burning and itching sensation! It was so bad at one point, I could wipe areas of my beard with a tissue, and the tissue would have fluid on it from the rash! This company should be held responsible for allowing this stuff on the shelf! As I type this out, my face feels like it's on fire. Hopefully this heals up quickly. DONT EVER USE THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

Rarely submit to such sites, but since I saw so many saying similar and recently here wanted to report issues - been using JFM beard for a few years, mainly on sideburns and slightly above without reaction (the color itself is poor - brassy but not the point here). Past few uses now, I've had very dry, irritated skins, some rash, irritation and bumps so it must be that (was thinking it was winter dry skin but that would be milder than this.) Something changed in the preparation or other aspects of the production process, maybe the source chemicals were contaminated or other.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Product has changed, I've use it for many years. Got a defective run where there wasn't the right amount of product in the bottle. I applied it and then had to re-apply the product from a new package. Broke out in a rash where I had applied the first product. I spent all weekend itching!! The customer service rep acted like she could care less and was RUDE. Offered a free product if I sent in the box top. Basically this is **. She was rude and never once apologized for the inconvenience. I am now ordering a Clairol product which I've used before. I want to sue for a week-end of itchy HELL!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I used the product Just For Men Mustache and Beard, and I followed the directions “to the letter”, and did not deviate in any way from the directions. Yet - now I have what appears to be some form of a chemical burn on my face, both within the my beard as well as below my beard on my neck. Since I did NOT allow this product to remain on my beard any longer than the directions stated, nor did I use or apply more than I should, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to assist with what appears to be a chemical burn on my face? Also, as this is my face, which cannot simply be covered up, can anyone understand how complaints at a higher level regarding this issue are warranted? This product is garbage and should not be allowed to be sold anywhere. More importantly, how is a person supposed to heal what this product has done? Thank-you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Like a lot of other users I have been using JFM for a number of years without problem. The last two times I have used it I have suffered severe blistering. They must have changed their formula. Are they doing anything to rectify?

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I used this product at least the past 10 years without any problems until the past 4 weeks. I believe as many other men do, that the product has been chemically altered over the past 6 mos. or so. I was used to using the product 2 or 3x/week the past 10 years w/o any problem until just recently (several weeks ago) when I decided to grow a beard out for hunting season. I was having a hard time with lite colored or white whiskers. So I got a new box of JFM M-25 (light brown) and started using it. All the symptoms other men have described - I started experiencing them - broken out neck rash/hives, lip chemical burns, and several oozing pustules that itched like crazy and some burned. I was forced to shave off my beard, due to the pain and itch, and started applying 1% ** creme.

It's been 3 days already and the hives have not receded as of yet. This is a Major Product Lawsuit in the making. Luckily, my symptoms have only been skin issues and not anaphylactic shock/breathing issues. I feel the company is putting Profits ahead of Safety. I'm going to go ahead and find the proper Federal Consumer Agency to contact and let them know thousands of complaints have been lodged against this hair product just this past year and what are they going to do about it? I did the patch test and nothing ever happened to indicate this product might harm me and others. I'm sure JFM is a Large money maker for Combs, but at what cost???

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had used this product a few times in the past and had at that time experienced some itching and discomfort. I just used it for the first time in at least a year. I now have a beard and thought that it would be better to use now, being that the dye would not be nearly as close to my skin as it was when I didn't have the beard. Well what happened was the worst burn I have ever had including major blistering, weeping, scabbing, and unforgiving itching. How did this happen when I hadn't even put this on very close to my skin. Obviously, something has changed. I ended up to the Dermatologist who says he has seen many men with this reaction. I am now on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds. I will NEVER use this again. It needs to be taken off the shelves never to harm anyone like this again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

Well let me start off with this, I've been using Just For Men for probably eight or nine years. In the last year or so I have had tons of problems with open blisters going to the dermatologist. I was curious if they have changed the makeup of their product (Just For Men)? So I went online and was shocked to see how many people are experiencing the same problems. So now I decided to add to the list curious if anybody has found a product that they like? Now that I see how many people are having problems... I would like to know why this product continues to be sold to the public? I am 56 years old and I'm smart enough to know something has changed? I have not reached out to Just For Men but that is my next step? Has anyone else reached out and gotten a response. If so perhaps they could advise?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Have been using this product for a number of years now, but the last couple of times that I've used it I've had a really itchy scalp which has lasted for over a week. I think that they must have altered the formula somewhat and will not consider using it again until there has been some form of reassurance from the company that this problem has been resolved.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

I have also been using JFM for a few years. Like the other stories, I went to dye my beard and I got a very red, hot rash with weeping blisters on my chin and under my nose. This cost me $125 in dermatological medicine. Going on a week and it's only a little better. My Dr. Said that the blisters are seborrheic dermatitis and prescribed anti fungal cream. The blisters cleared up in a few days but I still have this horrible rash. They need to pull this product!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I have been using Just For Men Beard Coloring for over 15 years and never had any problem whatsoever. I used it last week and my face is on fire. I have itching and burning and when I scratch there is a wetness as if I was scratching a scab with puss. They may say they have not changed the formula but that cannot be true. Now I check online and see at various sites others having the same problem. What is insane is that this crap is still on the market and they still deny any formula change. Too many people are having the same conditions at the same time even after using the product for years as I have. I've been keeping my face wet with cool water and will just have to wait it out until my body corrects the problem. I don't want to further the problem by adding something that I may get a worse reaction to when I apply it. Good luck guys.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

So I used this product 3x prior, never had an issue. Until 4 days ago when I used it, I use it to cover the lighter parts of my facial hair, the dark brown JFM. And I had to shave my beard off. I developed the worse rash I've ever experienced in my life, blistering, scabbing, the itchiness was horrendous. I feel as if I'm a 15 year old going through puberty and breaking out all over my jaw/neck area. Please do not buy this product, I really don't know what it is doing on shelves, especially on CVS. My face is in pain as I'm writing this.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I used JFM for just under 2 years (starting in 2014). I stopped using the product for about a year as I shaved all my facial hair off. My last application (Feb 2017) I followed their (JFM package directions) and completed a skin spot test; no reactions. I then applied JFM sparingly to my graying mustache and beard. I applied the JFM hair dye about 9:00 pm in the evening...

At 1:00 am the next morning I woke up with outrageous chemical burns to my face. The pain, swelling and overall discomfort was very serious. As I applied the JFM product to the hair on my neck, the edema and tightness of skin/tissue on my neck was the worst. I found myself having trouble breathing! I became so concerned that I drove myself to the nearest ER at 2:30 am and had to be treated with 3 IV meds for 7 hours to abate the swelling/edema and shortness of breath.

The ER doc (and his clinical assistants) said they are seeing record amounts of men just like me for the exact same thing - severe chemical burns from men's hair dye. The MD, PhD (ER doc) went on to explain that "most likely" the offending substance that I'm SO ALLERGIC to in JFM is Phenylenediamine (also commonly called PPD). The ER doc also said - "Very good decision to get in here with this condition. You have marked swelling/edema to your throat and it's transferred into your esophagus. If you'd waited much longer to present to ER, you could have easily gone into anaphylactic shock." So NOT good!

Who would've thought that taking 30 minutes to get the gray color out of my beard could have ended my life. In my opinion, JFM (and all hair dyes heavy with PPD) should be removed from the market by the FDA/FTC, or whatever govt agency with the power to do so! The more you/I/we are exposed to PPD the worse the allergic reactions become... clinical fact.

PLEASE stay away from this product (JFM hair color)! There are all natural products (without the dangerous PPD and other hyper-harsh clinically dubious chemicals) in them and they work well. Just Google "All Natural Men's Hair Color" and you'll find several for sale at reasonable prices. I'd provide some specific links here, but then some reading this would think I'm an affiliate for these products/brands... and I'm NOT. I do want to possibly help other men (and women) who might be hyper-allergic to the harsh chemicals in these commercial products. If I can spare one individual from going through the ER nightmare and 2 week recovery I endured - this review will have served its purpose...

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

Like a lot of the other complaints, I too am echoing their words. I have used JFM beard color/dye since June 2013. I would apply 1x every 2 weeks due to how close/short I keep my beard. This product was perfect. No significant issues. There would be some itching, but I expected some discomfort as one is dealing with a chemical product. However, since the summer of 2017, I too have experienced blisters. At least 3-4 the last two times I have used JFM. So yes, for nearly 3/12 years I had no significant problems; no blisters. Then this past summer, serious issues to the point I cannot trust the product. I'm now looking at organic/natural beard dye. JFM should be pulled from the shelves until they develop a product that does not burn or go back to their original formula.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I quit using Just For Men awhile back after a bad experience. I found that the dollar store had the color I wanted for 1$. It works much better and is a much better value than Just For Men. My wife recently picked up a Just For Men on a coupon so I thought I would try it again. BIG MISTAKE and my hair once again looks like CRAP. Believe me I have learned my lesson. Guys, stick with the dollar store, I sure am.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I started using JFM for beards approximately 18 months ago. I had no problems the first 3 applications. That fourth and I'm ashamed to admit fifth one caused me pain and discomfort that I would not wish on anyone. I did not test the product as the instructions advise. I figured that I didn't have any issues before, why would I now. If only I had listened lol. There were no problems immediately after I applied it in the late afternoon. However the next day my face burned and itched unlike nothing I had ever felt before. I kept telling myself not to scratch it but that proved impossible. After a short time of insane itching and scratching I noticed edema on my finger tips that was caused by the blisters that had formed and that I kept scratching. By my estimation this was comparable to a first to second degree burn.

This was way worse than the worst sunburn that I've ever had. My face started to swell, not only was it visible but I could feel a ridge that started right at my beard line. This insanity lasted a couple of days in which I seriously considered going to the ER. I looked on the internet and I saw where ** cream would help. That did nothing. Then I read where apple cider vinegar would stop the itch. Sure enough, that worked. It burned like holy hell and I would have to sit in front of a fan but it stopped the itch and actually promoted healing. Then I took some ** pills that helped ease the itching even more and got the swelling to go down.

As I mentioned earlier this episode wasn't enough to teach me to never use this product again. After a couple of months I thought maybe it wasn't that bad. So I dyed my hair. Fortunately it the effects wasn't as severe on my head but it was still very uncomfortable. However I had the exact same reaction on my face as if I had dyed my beard. Blisters, the whole nine yards. I'm posting this 4 weeks after that last episode and my face is a dried up mess. No more blisters or itchiness. But there isn't enough moisturizer in the world to satisfy the need of my face. I wake up in the morning and have to wash my face with a wash cloth in order to wipe off the dried up cells that have collected. I have to do this 2 or 3 times a day and then apply a thin coat of ** cream followed by a thin coat of moisturizer.

This is my take on JFM. Yes, it definitely needs to be taken off the market. I'm not entirely convinced that they changed an ingredient that's causing all this. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I personally believe that I reached my tolerance level and my body could not deal with it anymore. It's happened to me with other products though not with the severity of consequences. This is just my opinion. To anyone trying this for the first or the tenth time, I would exercise extreme caution.

Original review: June 30, 2017

Used this product diligently and sported a nice beard with lots of compliments for almost 3 years until March - horrific rashes and discomfort with oozing sores etc. Turned out they made some change that created a terrible reaction for many. I spent over $500 in physician’s visits and topical medications while trying to find cause. Missed work time and had some stress associated with the unknown cause. In time I shaved and found that it was the product when I applied the amber dye component to my arm and found the rash grew gradually from that point of application. The white developer and the hair dye had no reaction.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I used CVS brand hair color but was discontinued in med brown so tried Just for Men. I broke out in hives in large bumps on sides of my face accompanied with itching and burning. CVS brand did not do that to that degree.

Just For Men Company Information

www.justformen.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use