3.9/5 (477 ratings)

About Great Clips

Great Clips Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Great Clips?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Great Clips?

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

The Great Clips in Ann Arbor, Michigan has a fantastic general manager who hires excellent stylists. I had a lopsided haircut from a salon stylist re-cut and fixed by Ruth at Great Clips! I went at a time when they were not busy so that my haircut could receive proper attention. Bring a photo and communicate, don't be in a rush, and tip heavily!

Original review: June 2, 2022

The staff is friendly and appointment bookin is great. I have moved to this part of Alberta from Manitoba and was so frantic looking for a hairdresser. I have looked around for a salon for my regular monthly haircuts. I found Great Clips and walked in. Found a very friendly girl in their staff and found in her exactly what I was looking for. Been coming to her since....just love her. Her name is Stacey with the Towerlane location in Airdrie Alberta.

Get buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2022

They were very professional and did my kids cuts the way I asked. Very friendly service. Great Clips in Heritage Meadows. Excellent customer service. Knowledgeable about products and helped my daughter with her dry scalp issues. The only thing when I asked to thin her hair it could have been thinned more.

Original review: April 3, 2022

I was at the Stillwater, MN shop yesterday and Betsy cut my hair exactly the way I asked and I couldn’t be more pleased! She was very friendly and asked many questions before and during my cut, to make sure it was just right. She was very nice and while I was checking out a lady came in and was extremely rude, demanding haircuts and said she had an appointment, they checked in online and got there 30 minutes early, no appointment and when Betsy said it was going to be a bit the lady went crazy and stormed out saying not nice things. My stylist was calm but shaken by this, I was happy to see she handled this situation in a professional manner. I will go back again and will use the app for check in and arrival time, as intended.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Great Clips is what hair salons have become. It's a way to get your hair cut and not have to be the one who remembers all the details. They have your info in their system and call it up when you get in the chair. You let them know if you want any changes and then they get busy.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I have tried 3 locations with this franchise and I regret going there each time. I believe they hire anybody with what they claim in the interview. They are careless and they want to finish your cut under 15 minutes.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2022

I made an online appointment at the Great Clips Nashville location to get my hair cut on Wednesday at approximate 2:07pm. My computer showed there was a 35 minute wait, so I arrived at the location approximately 2:45pm only to be told by the ONLY hair stylist still left in the building that SHE WAS CLOSING GREAT CLIPS in order to pick up her child at school, that the other hair stylists had already left to pick up their children at school, and that I would have to come back another time!!! The location showed that there were more than a dozen names waiting for appointments to have their hair cut, the wait time showed 90 minutes, yet all the customers were kicked out????

I told the stylist that I could not come back later. Her response was that her child is more important than Great Clips or my hair, and she "had to do what she had to do". I was told to leave in no uncertain terms, because she had to lock up. Is this what Great Clips has degenerated into? Employees closing locations in the middle of the day despite appointments? With zero thought or regard to their customers??? No notice whatsoever....Continuing to take appointments knowing customers are driving to the location to be met with closed/locked doors???

Even worse, I wrote to Great Clips corporate customer service about my experience ....They blew me off and said that the store franchise owner would take care of me, but to reach out again in case I did not hear from him that day. I wrote them again on Thursday saying no one reached out....They gave me the very same run around. I wrote again on Friday....Still the same pass the buck....who cares? attitude. It's clear Great Clips fat cat owners keep raking in the money, but could care less about the little guy whose hair cuts have made them fantastically wealthy and transformed Great Clips into a $2 billion dollar company.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

This was at location 10706 Ironbridge Road, Chester VA 23831. Do not go here if you like your hair. The worst haircut I have ever received. I have been to other Greatclips locations and this has never happened. I told the lady what I wanted in detail, like physically pointing out how much of the ends to trim (approximately 2-2.5 inches) and how far up I wanted the layers to go. My hair was pretty long (Photos #1-4 taken the day before the haircut). I came out looking like photos #5 & 6, about an hour after the haircut. Not even a ponytail for the next few months can hide this because it is so choppy with a couple pieces much longer than the rest (Photo #7). I had been cutting my own hair for years, but came in looking to get long layers I thought I could not do on my own (Photos #8 & 9).

I did not think I had to bring in photos as I just wanted to cut off the split ends and have some long layers put in. She chopped up my hair. It's like she disregarded everything I told her and did whatever she wanted to or had no clue how to do what I asked for. At that point she should have said she didn't know how to do layers. I could have done what she did on my own, and when I told her I cut my own hair she said, "So you came in for me to fix your mistakes". That's the point. I should have left.

There were so many red flags that I can see now that I look back on it. A lady behind me, a customer's friend, said, "I'm freaking out for you", as the hairdresser was cutting the back of my hair. She stared at me thru the mirror as she was leaving as to say "get out now". I could not see what was happening on the back of my head. As the hairdresser started to come around to the front of my head where I could see she said, "Don't freak out, it just looks like a lot", while telling me that Greatclips only pays them hourly, my hair cut was equivalent to 8 hair cuts because it was so thick, they have to buy all their own supplies so they rely on tips, and the blade she was using to cut my hair she could normally use for a few clients, but not with my hair.

She succeeded in making me feel bad for her as I tipped her more than I should have when leaving thinking it wasn't too bad because my hair was still pretty wet. There have been haircuts where I haven't been 100% satisfied before, but none turned out like this. I had never seen anyone cut a whole head of really long hair with just a straight blade before, but I trusted she was the professional and knew what she was doing. She said it was the tool she preferred to use for her craft. I Googled it once I got home and that's probably not the tool she should have used on my hair. Her job is to look at the client's current hair & what they're asking to be done and make an educated decision on what tools to use.

I had never gotten a really bad haircut before, so I wasn't as alarmed as I should have been. She was throwing my hair over the top of my head to the opposite side, so I couldn't see what was happening. She was spraying my face and putting my hair in my face more than any other hairdresser I've had cut my hair. I'm starting to think now she didn't like me or didn't want to cut my hair. At the end she put some product in my hair and threw my hair around some more, so I couldn't see how choppy the layers were.

As I got home and it dried I could see the damage that was done. I could have done a better job myself. There is no fixing this because too much has been cut off. Photos #10-12 is later that night after getting the unwanted body/poofiness out of it from the product she put in and really getting to see the damage. It looks like I let a kid cut my hair. I will have to wait months for it to grow out. Years for all of it to grow close to what it was. If you decide to go to this location I suggest choosing someone else to cut your hair. She was the first booth on the right directly behind the register as of 8-6-22. The ** lady with dreads.

Original review: June 12, 2022

The staff at this salon are always Very professional, great cuts always, accommodating. When I book online I have almost no waiting at the salon. This salon is highly recommended. I will never go anywhere else.

Soran

Original review: June 10, 2022

I had my hair cut today, 6/9/22 at Great Clips in Yulee, Florida. I had a short wait and staff seemed nice at first. I was very clear about how I wanted my hair cut but the stylist either didn't know what she was doing or just didn't care what I wanted. When she was done my hair looked like it had been chewed by a rat! I just wanted a simple inverted bob - shorter in the back, longer in the front and chin length. It's now crooked and layered EVERYWHERE with big chunks of hair missing. I told the stylist NO LAYERS as my hair is very fine. When she was finished I said "this is not what we talked about". She just said "I'm not going to argue with you". Now my hair will be hideous for at least 6 - 8 months. DO NOT get your hair cut here!!!

Great Clips Company Information