1.58/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

295 Great Clips Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Been going to Great Clips for years. Yesterday first bad experience. Kristie sprayed the back of hair, cut it. Then sprayed bangs so much so water running down my face. She finished, did not offer to blow dry my hair before going outside on a chilly day. I guess she thinks women over 50 deserve no respect.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Extremely disappointed how my daughter was treated by Liliana today. Felt like we were inconveniencing her. Unprofessional behavior. Told my 12 year old daughter that her hair was difficult to cut. Never followed our directions and was visibly upset when we asked her to correct it. We already made an appointment with real hairdresser to fix my daughter's haircut. I will always remember the old line “you get what you pay for”. WILL NEVER GO BACK.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I went to the Sun Prairie Wisconsin where they had previously done a good job of trimming my hair. The stylist said he was an apprentice and that I would be his first cut. I thought he was kidding. After 10 minutes of shearing and reshearing the sides I concluded that he had indeed never cut hair before. I had assumed that they at least had several weeks of barber school! He then took the #5 shears and proceeded to remove nearly all the hair on the top of my head before I could stop him. He said he was sorry but he never did use a scissors & comb. Now, with more than 80% of my hair gone, I will have to wait 5-6 months before somebody competent can cut my hair.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

Worst salon experience I have ever had! (Corbin, KY) Only rating a 1 because theres nothing lower! Took me a year to get my hair to grow out long. Then I got a perm put in at another salon. Went to Great Clips for a hair trim and some layers 3 months after getting my perm. They guy there did not know how to cut hair or put in layers! He brushed my newly permed hair over and over till my head was numb when I left! The haircut was so awful. Another stylist had to stop him and move me to her chair to take over!!!

The haircut was unfixable and now I look like Beetlejuice! My hair was beautiful and super thick and now it is so thin and an unsitely mess where it has to be thinned so much with thinning shears just to make the layers somewhat match. Some of my perm is out now. So another year of letting my hair grow back out and another 100 for another perm!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I am so displeased with the service at your Fenton Mi location. First I told them my son is one. This is his first haircut and he is being baptized tomorrow. They were in a rush. Botched his hair of no return so not only did he get a bad first haircut he has to get pictures at his baptism with a messed up haircut. I said something and the girl said it is hard to cut hair on a moving object. Since when are people objects? My two year old doesn’t even look like he had his hair touched. I will NEVER go to a Great Clips ever again. Didn’t take any money off my bill and had the nerve to call my child a object. Unbelievable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Great Clips?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I had a great haircut at this Cottage Grove Plaza Great Clips end of August and it was time again. I went back to the W. Point Douglas Great Clips Halloween morning because of the prior great haircut. What I received was worst haircut I can recall. I was told “all over cleanup” but I was sheared. Went out to my car and saw how bad it looked, wore a hat the rest of the day. It will take weeks for this hack job to grow out. Yes, this is my fault, for going into the W. Point Douglas Great Clips and not walking out when I saw that the prior employee was not there. I have bad eyesight without glasses and I thought all the scissors work was detailed trimming. Could not believe the close cut shearing. I have had bad luck at the two Cottage Grove Great Clips, but this shearing by the hacker is too much. Will not be going back to either Cottage Grove Great Clips.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I went to the Wallingford location for a haircut. I asked Cheyenne to make it short on the sides square off the back but leave the top of my head alone. She shorted the sides with no problem but she squared off my hairline at almost my ears and before I knew it she’s cut the top which I asked not to touch. I know it will grow back but I can’t understand why they can’t listen to the requests of the customer. I will not be back.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have had numerous hairstylists cut my hair over the past several years, usually with disappointing results. However, a few months ago, a young lady named Christina, cut my hair at the Concord Village Great Clips Salon at Nolensville Road and Concord Road in Brentwood, TN. I was amazed at how well she did, not just the first time, but on every occasion since the first one. And not only me. My wife has always complimented how well my hair has looked after Christina cut it.

When I asked her about her experience and why she did such a good job, Christina told me she was a recent graduate of a hairstyling school in Murfreesboro (I think those specifics are correct). I’m sure that had a strong influence on her ability, but I think it was also her attitude to do well as proven by her work. I am a 66-year-old male with the need of creativity on the part of a hairstylist because of thinning hair and a pronounced “cow-lick” on the back of my head. Most times past hairstylists would cut the “cow-lick” area that would result in my hair looking like a bristled porcupine for 2-3 weeks later. But not with Christina. Consequently, whenever I am preparing to get my haircut, I always call the Concord Village Great Clips Salon to make sure Christina is working there before I go. Thank you, Christina, for always doing a great job on my hair!

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I have been to Great Clips many times, not all good cuts but I could live with them. Tried new location. He had the info on the cut I've been getting for years. And instead of shaving my neck only, he shaved the whole back of my head. I'm not beautiful but I least could go out in public. Makes me feel worst about myself, I don't know what he was thinking. Worst haircut ever!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I have had my haircut at the same location several times. But some cuts are good and some are awful. The good stylist never stay around very long. Last stylist had no idea how to cut hair, not sure if she had training or license. Will never go there again or any other location, customers cannot count on getting a good haircut.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

My 10/14/18 visit to the Great Clips at the Shoppes at Bethelview in Cumming, GA was one of the most horrible I’ve experienced. One, I decided to switch to this location after quality at another nearby location started dropping, in hope of finding better stylists. Taking my son to get his hair cut, we wanted to advise them what needed to be cut. From the very first interaction with April, she started with an attitude by saying abruptly that the details are in the system and that’s what she was going to do. Not knowing what that meant, we wanted to instruct her and make sure she cut enough. Once cut, we simply asked her to cut a bit more off the front and her reply was that ‘this would be the last cut’. Asking her to clarify what she meant, she wouldn’t answer the question. Up until this time, my wife was dealing with her.

When one of the other stylists looks at me and apologizes, I’m puzzled by what he’s saying, so I get up to find out what’s going on. Once I’m there, April proceeds to blame me for ‘interrupting’ her and saying to me that she has 15 mins to cut hair. I reply to her that she will cut it as long as it takes to get it right and demand to see a manager. Not knowing he’s actually directly next to us the entire time and does absolutely nothing. I demand that he deals with the situation right there and he basically blows it off. I tell them both that I will not be paying for this haircut.

I asked for their names and neither are willing to give their names. After several more attempts, April finally tells me her name. She tells me that she will not be ‘treated like a slave’. Being **, she wants to play the race card. This store needs to train their employees on how to interact with the public and to deal with situations. Their attitudes should not be tolerated. If April can’t take reasonable instruction on what the customer wants, then she shouldn’t be in that position. If the manager allows that type of employee hostility to occur, he shouldn’t be running the store. After this experience along with the recent others, I am completely done with Great Clips and will find another place to my hair cut.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I went in to get my hair cut and styled like a picture I showed her. It looks like a man's haircut. I asked for height to the top and there wasn't. She styled it mostly with her fingers. Just a little tease and no curling iron. Awful.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I went to Great Clips Plainsboro NJ & my 15 year old son clearly said 3 on sides & 4 on the top. The lady never cared, was loud & shouting on the phone... she just took 1 blade may be no 1 & does all over the head... my son was so upset & I asked her to give her name & details, she started yelling again & told me she’s the manager... snatched away the receipt & the copy & told me you are already charged. Harm is already done. You just can’t do anything. The whole incident is so very upsetting. I’m never going to that Great Clips center again.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Have used Great Clips now for several years. I have never had a bad experience. Service is always great. Haircuts are always good. This visit had a new stylist named Vickie **. I was not having an exceptionally good day. She went out of her way to do some extra touches like extending the shampoo and even giving me a neck rub that just made all the difference in the world on that particular day. Not to mention she gave me one of the best cuts I’ve had in several years. You can’t beat their prices and although they recommend products they never try to pressure you into buying. My sister gives me a Great Clips gift card for Christmas every year and never has any of the stylists complained. I really appreciate all the staff at this location and never worry about going in for my next haircut.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I went to Great Clips @ 13421 Westheimer Rd Houston, TX 77082 today (09/22/2018) with my 18 months kid and clearly told them that it's first time haircut for her. They wrote down our name on paper and asked us to come back after 20 mins. When we return after 20 mins, they said, "Oops, I didnt check-in you guys in computer and wait another 30 mins." After waiting another 30 mins they called us and after making my 18 months old baby sat in the chair and they put on sheet on her I told her again that it's her first haircut and will make it quick, then the lady went inside for few more mins and after came back she is chatting with another colleague and helping another customer with her colleague.

When I asked, called her and said, "Ma'am it's her first time and she may not sit in chair as she is already crying," then came very rude and removed the sheet from my baby and asked us to leave as we can't wait for her. Very rude of her. She really don't know how to talk with customers... worst experience I ever had. She should have told us to wait few more mins or ask her colleague to help her if she is more interested in the haircut of other person than her own chain. I'm never going to return to that salon. If Great Clips is going to keep her employed you are going to miss even more customers. DON'T GO to GREAT CLIPS in this location.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I went to Great Clips on 1725 Sheridan #A Edge water. Anyways this people that work here have no experience at all on cutting hair. This guy that was there basically left my hair with no blending on the sides. Very unhappy ☹️ about it. Please don’t go to this place. They suck!!! And there was another lady doing nothing on the back. Unbelievable. And on top of all they want a tip Hahahaha lol??? Give me a break!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Recently my son and I had a terrible experience at Great Clips in Durant, and we will never go back. Let me first talk about how they want to put your profile in their database. Okay, so many years ago I was a regular there, and so was my mom. They justified having the need to enter your full name, phone number, and PHYSICAL address in their system, because they “like to send coupons to their clients” (not true btw). And let’s be honest, they give bad haircuts there. And they stopped sending coupons to their clients years ago, even though they used the same excuse. I even talked to the owner a couple of years ago (whose name and number used to be posted on the front window) and I told her the haircuts were getting worse in quality, and the coupons were our only reason for considering coming there. She of course told me she didn’t know why we were not getting them anymore.

So my son and I, along with my mom started going to US Hair and other places and getting good haircuts every time. Once in a while I would try Great Clips again, paying full price, just to regret it, because the haircut was bad. Then I noticed that every great once in a while there would be a coupon to Great Clips in the coupon section of the local paper, available to everyone, but not to their customers, as they claimed they would send directly to, hence why they supposedly needed all of your info put into their database, as if they were a pharmacy chain. I did not use them because of past experiences, but recently I found 2 coupons for $8.99 each, and decided (much to my stupidity) to give them another shot. So my son and I went. As soon as we got there, a girl named Mallory asked our first and last names, I told her we were not in the system, so no need to enter it.

She then asked my address and phone number. I told her we just wanted haircuts. We sat down, and then she called me, and then a dirty looking, obese, fat faced man, with balding, yet greasy hair, named Tristen called my son. I noticed there was an older, wrinkled, and weathered looking woman with a raspy voice, as if she had been smoking for all of her 70 years, in a shower cap on her head talking to the “stylists”, but seemed to be doing her own hair which I found odd. I could not hear everything my son and the greasy Tristen were discussing, but Mallory started telling me that they like to get people’s names and addresses so they can increase their business because their online rating was so bad. I told her they used to have mine, but I haven’t gotten a coupon in years while they had my name and address.

Bear in mind, I had not yet told anyone that I had coupons for my son from the sales paper yet, nor did I tell her I only came for that reason. Mallory asked me how much I wanted taken off in terms of inches. While explaining, the wrinkled up, older woman, walked up to us, and pointed to the fat greasy Tristen’s hair and said in her cigarette smoker’s voice, “that’s what 3 inches looks like”. At that moment, I realized the winkled old woman worked there, and seemed to know a lot about the greasy, obese man Tristen’s hair. It struck me as weird that she would point to his hair as an example, since he was almost bald, but oh well. After I chose to have “3 inches” taken off, Mallory started asking me multiple, personal questions, like my age, if I had kids, how many, and their ages. I was very nice to her, and she seemed to be nice too.

Shortly after, she was done with me, and I followed her to the other side of the register to pay, I presented to the coupon, and paid, and told her I wanted to pay for my son’s haircut and pay for his. I tipped her 3 dollars, because even though she had not given me a good haircut, I was happy that it was not terrible like all the other visits, and besides she seemed nice, and was very happy for my tip. I heard a strange commotion, and I could tell my son was not happy. He approached me and told me quietly that guy (Tristen) was a jerk. So even though I would have tipped Tristen just to be nice, I did not, because my son was angry about his experience. Then I found out what happened. My son told me he first asked Tristen what taking 3 inches off of his hair would look like, and then he asked about 2. Tristen told my son he should only get 1 inch taken off.

My son told him if he was going to have to pay the same for a mere trim, as a full haircut, (most other places only charge you for trim, vs. full haircut), then he might as well take 3 inches off. Then Tristen got rude with my son, and told him they “were the cheapest place in town”. Then out of the blue Tristen asked my son if he conditioned his hair after he shampoos. My son told him yes, (even though it was none of his business). Tristen then smirked, and nodded his head sarcastically, then after a pause, Tristen said, “you have really dry scalp," and usually what that means, is you are either not conditioning, or not doing a very good job. My son told him, that he has a skin condition, and naturally dry skin, and has a Doctor/Dermatologist, and knows how to take care of his own hair and scalp, and also informed him that he has a special prescribed solution to treat it.

My son told Tristen, that he is NOT a doctor, and did not know what he was talking about. Tristen, after being both rude, and intrusive, became even ruder, telling my son he “did know, what he was talking about”, and added that he had been cutting hair for “19 years”. My son informed him that he knows his own body, and has a specialist (Doctor) to treat him with prescribed medicine, and he (Tristen) did not know more than he did about his own skin, let alone a doctor, and did not need his rude insults, nor his inappropriate, and intrusive advice, when all he wanted to do was sell store hair products. After that, Tristen said, “well that’s it”, and then wandered off. So my son starts to take the apron off of himself and get up, when Tristen comes back out of nowhere and says “hey, hey, hey, leave that alone, I’m not done”! My son told him you said that “was it”, and Tristen rudely replied that he was talking to someone else.

Then, even though he said he was not done, he took the apron off my son, and said “GOD”! The next day I called to complain. I asked for the manager, whose name I was told is Karen. She got on the phone, and I immediately recognized the raspy, old woman’s voice from the day before. It was the same lady doing her own hair there, who seemed to know a lot about Tristen. She is the manager! I told her about my complaint. I told her seminar trained hair cutters, have no right to insult the customer, by ignorantly suggesting that they have bad hygiene, and further it’s not their place to give medical advice either. I didn’t even bother to tell her, that they give terrible haircuts, and there is a reason they have horrible ratings. So I simply said we would never be back. She started raising her voice at me, and said, “good, we don’t want y’all back, Mallory told me y’all only come here when y’all got coupons, and you and your son were rude to my employees”.

None of what she said was true, and by that I mean that I did not tell Mallory that we only come when we “have coupons”. And neither my son, nor I were rude, it was Tristen who was beyond rude. And I replied, who was I rude to? Karen said, “Mallory told me you were rude to her, and y’all were both rude”. I could not believe my ears. I replied, I was very nice to her, how is tipping her 3 extra dollars being rude?! And I also told her that Mallory smiled and thanked me for the tip, so that doesn’t appear to be the reaction from someone treaded rudely. Then I asked for the owner’s number, as it is no longer posted on the window. Karen hung up on me. (I sort of feel like Tristen may be related to her). Even if we, or anyone only goes there when they have a coupon, at lease they came! I mean, Mallory told me they “wanted to use coupons to fix their bad online ratings”.

So if that’s true, then it’s pretty pathetic that the manager would then resent the people who came in with coupons, and even treat customers giving them coupon business like dirt. (All their bad ratings are not just from coupon using customers, I can guarantee it). I called and complained to corporate. They told me the owners would call me back within 24 hours. They didn’t. So I called Great Clips in Sherman Texas, and the woman who answered there told me the owner’s names are Mohammed and Shazia **, and live in Dallas, and she gave me both their numbers (** - Mohammed & ** - Shazia). She said they own all of the Great Clips in North Texas and Southern Oklahoma. I recalled Shazia, and that she is from Dallas. I called her. I told her what happened, and she was very shocked that Karen would talk to me that way.

Shazia also told me that she suspects that Karen lied about Mallory, because what Karen said did not sound like something Mallory would say, based on what she knew of her. So I told her then, not only does she have a rude, unprofessional manager, but she also has a manager who lies about her employees. Shazia told me that she did not know that for sure, but would find out and call me back… That was 3 weeks ago, and I have heard nothing. So I gave the owner the chance to get back with me, and or at least apologize. Neither happened. So I will add my negative review to the massive amount they already have to the mix. My advice is, don’t waste your time and money on a terrible haircut done by rude, inexperienced, insulting, and ignorant hacks who won’t appreciate your business anyway.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I had very long hair when I went in to see Karla. I requested to donate 12 inches as my hair was all the way to my butt. She took off the 12 inches and continued to take off several more inches (ie 4-5 inches) when I had told her I didn't want it cut short. I had specifically stated I wanted to keep as much length as possible. I will not go back to her even for a trim. I could end up bald if I request a trim. Thankfully it will grow back eventually. The biggest part of customer service is listening to the customer and not ignoring the request and doing what you want.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I went with my kids, I left them for 20 min. Then when I came back they were so mean and two of the staff there started yelling at me because I left the two boys 16yrs and 12yrs without paying. Before I pay for them, I explained to them that I usually leave them until they’re done then they call me and I go pick them up and pay. But they treated me so bad and I found when I left that they spoke to my kids in a bad way in front of people and told them to pay before getting haircut next time. This was the worst experience in any barbershop I went to. I don’t recommend them at all.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I took my kids there right before school and Jessica fit us in within 10 minutes, I was expecting a much longer wait due to it being right before school started. She did an awesome job on my son's hair and was so fast at it, and cut a good couple inches off my daughter's hair. It was even and she was so nice and gentle with the kids. They all did a great job getting everyone taken care quickly. I would go there again for sure!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I just got a great haircut from Stephanie at Great Clips at Alico Commons! She really knows how to cut and style hair... and has a wonderful personality too! I will recommend Great Clips to everyone and to especially ask for Stephanie to cut your hair... She’s great!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

The only thing consistent with the several Great Clips locations that I've visited in many states is that I ALWAYS have to request (at least three times) the obvious -- that I want my hair even on both sides -- and that I will leave Great Clips with my hair uneven (to say the least). And yes, this is despite supplementing my request with hairstyle pics stored on my phone. And yes, this is despite going in Great Clips cautiously and kindly, knowing that I will seem ridiculous and excessive for asking the obvious -- and then asking two more times. No matter the approach rehearsed -- and even having consulted a cosmetologist friend and being told that the description of my request makes perfect sense -- I have never left Great Clips without their standard, uneven men's cut.

Why do I return? They are open late and this fits my harsh schedule. But my last visit was my last visit. The stylist at the Chenal Little Rock, Ar location was hostile from the moment I walked-in, and she left me smelling like her bad habit. I can usually forgive lack of talent and poor personal hygiene, but not an attitude to boot. I'm done spending an hour attempting to fix my hair every time I leave Great Clips.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

A friend raved about the manager of a Great Clips Salon, so I got my hair cut by her. She snipped away furiously for a few minutes at the back of my head, and then declared herself finished after using a blow dryer and brush to style it till dry. She gave me a mirror so I could only view the back... no side mirrors. One side of my head has hair that flips out and everything is very uneven. It looks horrible. She didn't even try. All I wanted was for my bob to be cleaned up, but results are bad.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Online Check In - Why have a stated appointment time when there is no accuracy involved. I was given a time of 17 minutes from the time signed in, arrived exactly at that time. Found a mother with four children waiting for cuts, one elderly gentleman and three young adults, eight customers in all and I was well down the list. What's the point if the information is not timely and accurate, I cancelled and walked out. Seriously considering other options for subsequent haircuts. This is not the first time for such an occurrence.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I sat in the waiting area for 17 minutes and never was checked in and then another man walked in was checked in right away and was taken to do his haircut so I was skipped in line. This was totally unprofessional and will never go to Great Clips again. After going there for the last two years they have now lost my business.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I took my daughter to the Great Clips in Parker near Sprouts and the supposed hair stylist named Janie was absolutely horrible! Not only did she repeatedly complain about my daughter having chlorine build up in her hair (but didn’t offer or suggest to wash her hair), she left an obviously long patch of hair at the nape of her neck. When I pointed it out and asked her to trim it evenly, she got very defensive and went on to explain that this is how an undercut should look. So I asked her again if she would trim it a little more even, she refused.

I left and went to the Arapahoe Crossing Great Clips, where the stylist agreed that my daughter's hair was quite uneven in the back and she gladly fixed it with no charge. I had checked in to get my hair cut as well but after Janie’s extremely rude and argumentative behavior, I was not going to let her near my hair! I’ve always heard the expression that the customer is always right and apparently Janie should be in a different field of work or retrained to accept constructive criticism.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I went with my family to have a haircut. First my mom's haircut was horrible. It was uneven, but ok. The lady that was cutting my mom's was pleasant. Then next is my 4 year old son. The same lady that cut my mom's hair, she was pleasant and patient with my son who was sensitive to the sound of scissors. Then halfway, my son was fussing and can't stay still so we were trying to distract him, then this other lady that is working there said, "you guys back off, he is distracted by you."

Then she took over cutting my son's hair, pulled the chair towards her with force seemingly angry. Told the other staff to hold my son's hands. Until my son was crying and don't wanna do it, she took my son off the chair and said that I have to do something with my son's behaviour. My son has some developmental delays and was already scared in the first place, this will not help him and he may be scared to have another haircut in the future. We'll definitely not go back to this salon ever.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I live close to Marketplace therefore I was using Great Clips located there. I noticed every other haircut was good, and the bad haircuts kept getting worse. The last cut I got was the LAST one I will ever get there. My question is: If the directions for my haircuts are in your computer why can't the so called stylist follow the directions? I am now with a stylist downtown, yes I am paying more but it is well worth it. It is going to take at least 3 more hair cuts to get the mess cleared up! Really, this is uncalled for. I would love to have ALL my money back that I have spent at Great Clips. DO NOT GO THERE if you care about how your hair looks after a haircut. I gave you 1 star because there isn't anything lower.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I stopped coming to Great Clips because the prices have doubled and they still don't wash hair as a standard service. I was in the chair for less than 5 minutes for my haircut, I felt like I was on a production line. I went to a competitor, paid the same price, got my hair washed, conditioned and the stylist took her time and made me feel valued. And I paid the same price as I do at Great Clips but got so much more.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I was at Great Clips on June 6 2018 on Raeford Rd in Fayetteville NC and they told me l had a 20 minute wait. 20 minutes turned into 1 hour. I don't think it's fair that they tell the customers they can schedule appts online but you can't walk in and make appt. That's bad business and they don't come and tell you that others are ahead of you. I would not recommend Great Clips.

Great Clips Company Information