1.12/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Great Clips

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 17, 2017

240 Great Clips Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I worked for this company for 6 months. In this time I’ve had to redo over a hundred haircuts because of the young inexperience hairdressers on the staff. The managers are in their 20's and have no clue how to run salon or even cut hair. The prices are cheap because the stylist are required to cut hair in under 16 mins. If you want a ten dollar messed up haircut. You’ll get what you paid for at this salon. I’d go to Fantastic Sams or Supercuts before giving any Great Clips a chance to screw up your hair. Especially the one in Schenectady.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Great Clips Chisago City, MN. Worst experience ever!!! Open til 4:00 my butt. Drive all the way there. Walk in at 3:45 to be told they won't help us. Best part... No apology. Need some work on your customer service!!! Sincerely, A communications manager. And we will stop utilizing your faculties!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I hate this place. I asked for a 2 inch trim. The woman who was doing my hair then got a razor and shaved my hair much. She basically butchered it. I stopped her before she got to the top. I asked her why she was butchering my hair and she said she was just doing a 2. I told her I had a 2 inch trim and it was just fine. She then said that what she did was really a 2. I then left. I am never going back! They just butcher your hair. She said it would grow back in a week and a half. Really? GREAT CLIPS IS HORRIBLE.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I had my hair cut with a girl by the name of Briana. She asked me how I wanted it cut and she measured to about the middle of my back, which was about 2 inches. When she was done, my hair is now to the nape of my neck, which is NOT what I wanted at all! She totally ignored what I was asking for and did what she wanted anyway. She is very lucky I don't have the time or the money to pursue what I really want to do, which is go to the cosmetology board and demand to have her license pulled. I also would want to go to where she went to school and tell them they should be ashamed of themselves for graduating her from their school.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

O.M.G. don't go to Whittlesey Blvd. in Columbus, GA!! I asked the stylist to part the hair on one side and cut everything beneath the part then do the same on the other side, connect the back and leave the rest. How hard can that be? The first thing the stylist did was cut straight into the side without parting it effectively cutting the length off the top. I immediately said no and she turned the chair away from the mirror and said she would fix it. 15 minutes later she showed it to me and she did the same thing on the other side and neither side was even close to even!!

To try "fixing it" all they did was cut the right side 3 inches higher up on my head so the sides of the section are 1 inch and the top is 4. I look like a Goth version of Mr. Potato Head!! I left so mad I didn't get my receipt and contacted customer service. We'll see if they even try to fix this jacked up mess (which means I will have to have all my hair cut military short and spend MONTHS growing it out again!). Will never go to another "Great Clips" again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Great Clips?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

When Great Clips opened up I went there, salon owner wanted me to use her, I said I wanted somebody else, she said, "Is it because I am Mexican." I left the salon then. 6 mo. Later on I went back, had a coupon and the lady said, "We do not have coupons." I had it and not expired, from 12.99 to 9.99 for that salon. Would not take it.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

On August 17th I proceeded with a stylist by the name of Nancy, who did not take any direction that I wanted my hair styled. So after the service after still paying of course I wanted to talk to a manager. She stated that she was not in and I can call her tomorrow from the hours of 9 am to 2 pm. On the 18th of August I had called the Manager by the name of Latasha, who seemed to be too busy for my complaint.Never called me, never cared about my complaint. I called 4 times that day. I continued to call and she was "always busy " or " she would call me back". No such call or even sympathy was regarded about my situation.

My real complaint was at first of the haircut I originally had received, but the complaint I am addressing is that the "Manager" of the store failed to contact me or even bother with addressing any sort of apology or agreement. I honestly feel that the manager of the establishment should be reprimanded on the fact the poor communication skills and horrible customer service to a paying customer.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Horrible staff Bethel Ct. My daughter was humiliated and told she had lice eggs in front of a room full of people. No discretion used at all. I found out she did not have lice or eggs at all. It was dry scalp. I called the manager which was no help. I called the corporate office in where they told me each is owned independently and they would send out this complaint to store owner. When owner called me back she defended the stylist Emily and I got nowhere.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Great Clips Location: 692 S Andy Griffith Pkwy #109, Mt Airy, NC 27030. Date: 8/5/2017. I brought the picture I wanted, discussed it with him. He asked if I wanted it where my hairline was and I said, "No that's way too short. I want it exactly like the picture." I had also asked for a deep conditioning and style. He placed the picture on his station propped up and never looked at it again, although I prompted him 4 separate times to look at it saying, "No just like the picture." He had to ask the other stylist how to do a deep conditioning. He left me in the dryer 27 minutes instead of recommended 15-20 from other stylist. I had to remove myself because my face was red, my eyes felt burned and I couldn't stand it any longer. He later laughed and said, "Yeah sorry I left you in there an extra 5 minutes".

I literally pointed to my back the length I wanted and said that I did NOT WANT IT TOO SHORT! I want it just like the picture. I would have been fine if it was even close to that. After cutting it too short and me telling him, he proceeds to TRY and CURL IT towards the back of my head. I said, "That's not what I want. I want it a slight wave... see how it goes straight down, not small curls toward the back of my head." He says, "So you don't want it curled?" I said, "No I want it just like the picture" and pointed to it again. Using a flat iron he even went over the same pieces of hair because he kept crimping it like he's never had much experience totally negating the deep condition I just got because he fried my hair going over and over the same pieces before I stopped him.

He hands me the mirror to see the back and I was in shock. Not only in shock from the too short and very uneven front and sides, but the back. The back is so short it's barely over an inch in length. I said, "Do you see the length in the picture I provided? Does it look like that length at all???" He tries to tell me it's like that from my previous cut. NO IT IS NOT! I walked in with my hair in a bun on the top of my head requesting a cut at least 4 inches longer in the back then he butchered it to and gradually increasing lengths as it comes around to the front. It barely reaches my chin in the front and it should have been the length of my shoulder. And one side is longer than the other. Taking the 12 dollars off of the 34 dollar cost in no way helps. It will take at least 3 years to get it to the length he should have cut it up too.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Went to Great Clips today for the first time. No customers were in there so I got right in. She took about 5 minutes to cut my hair then asked me if it was ok. She hadn't dried my hair yet but I assumed she was referring to the amount she cut off. At that point she said I was done. My hair was sopping wet. She said most people don't want it dried. She never offered to dry my hair. She never mentioned that they don't wash your hair unless you tell them to. She never even offered to wash it. I asked her to dry it for me. She said "if I dry it, I have to charge you". She never mentioned anything about any of their services even though they have a menu on the wall and I am new to Great Clips. She didn't completely dry my hair but asked me if the cut was what I wanted. How can you tell if that's what you want when it's still wet. When she said she was done I never had a chance to ask for anything else. She was already at the register.

I felt rushed and I was rushed. I got home and got a mirror. OMG! I have 3 different lengths to my hair. There is a 1" wide area in the back that is shorter than the rest, and, both sides do not match. That is, by far, the worst haircut I have ever had. She was the only one working that morning and she was rushing to get me done because someone had walked in after me. Originally she was about to cut my hair dry. I said, "no you can't do that" so she kept spraying my hair to get it wet on the ends. That's when I told her it was ok to wash it. She said she had to charge me for that. I didn't care. I just assumed that washing it was something salons automatically did but I guessed wrong. I just wanted her to do it right. Normally, you would have to tell a hairstylist it's ok not to wash your hair but in this case, it's the opposite.

If you want a professional cut, don't go to Great Clips. That's not what they're all about. They're about speed, not accuracy or quality. The old adage. You get what you pay for because now, $29 later, I have to go to a more professional salon and have this uneven mess fixed and most of it was because she was in a hurry to get to the next person. I have long straight hair and just wanted the ends trimmed. No styling at all and I was the only customer in there at the moment until the other person walked in. It shouldn't have been that difficult. Trim the ends but do it straight. I have never been to Great Clips before and won't go back. I can't have this disaster again. I can't believe this. What a mess! I never expected that to happen. She was very nice but extremely rushed and I paid the price.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I went into this Great Clips location in Dover Pa about 2 weeks ago... thinking they could do a simple of my hair (let me point out my hair is at my neck and very straight). Their stylist (I use that term loosely) brought out the trimmers... ok I thought she was going to clean up my neck line. O NO she did not. She proceeded to use the trimmers (clippers) on the back of my head. I said, "Wait what are you doing?" Her response "I thought you want that short". If she would have taken 1 minute and asked me and or read the notes in my file she would have known that my hair is NEVER cut that short. This so called stylist tried and tried to fix my hair... but no matter how she tried to style it my hair stood straight up. I was sitting in the chair just crying... even after she butchered my hair beyond anything. I wanted to place a bag over my head to face anyone. She had the nerve to charge me. I left in tears.

Called a local salon and begged them to try to fix the damage... Luckily I met a stylist at Falic's in Dover who did her best to comfort me and fix my hair, the cut from Great Clips was so blunt there is no way my hair would do anything. Crystal from Falic's had to go in and make angle cuts to make my hair look presentable. After 2 weeks I have for the most part stopped crying. I still try to avoid mirrors.

I will tell everyone in the Dover Pa area "STAY AWAY from this Great Clips. They will butcher your hair with no regard to what you want." These stylist need more training. As a cosmetologist you should find classes and attend classes to learn more about what you are doing. As a cosmetologist if you get bored with what you’re doing move on. You are in the wrong field of work. These stylist are supposed to make you feel beautiful when you leave their chair. That day I felt so ugly and hideous I wanted to hide from anyone and could not stand the thought of someone seeing me like that.

Original review: July 22, 2017

Checked in using app for first time. Apparently used a different phone than what they had on file. The stylist irritated with me. All I wanted was a very slight trim as it was cut a little short previous visit and explained that to her. The stylist was rough. The comb was scraping my scalp. I said, "That hurts." She seemed to ease up after that. She butchered my hair. One side is three fingers long, the other two. I am beside myself. My class reunion in three weeks, and all I wanted was to neaten it up.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I've been going to Great Clips since I moved here about ten years ago. While the service was mediocre, I never had a reason to not go back until now. I took my two daughters in for haircuts, one of them was going to donate her hair to Locks of Love. As my daughters are sitting there, the two ladies cutting their hair begin to look at one another and deeply analyze their hair. I was sure I saw a wink between the two. One of them calls me over to say my two girls have lice. They tried to point it out to me, but I saw nothing. They instantly distanced themselves from my daughters, and even myself, making it clear that my daughters were infested to the ENTIRE shop. My daughters were mortified and even started crying, but the workers showed no sympathy, simply shooing them away. In the distress of them not getting their hair cut, I was conned into purchasing a lice treatment kit for $45 that I could have easily bought at Walgreens for $10.

I got home and began to treat my daughters' hair, only to discover the workers had freaked out over some dry scalp. I couldn't believe they had the audacity to lie to my face and then charge for the haircut, even though no work was done. My daughter talked to her friend, who had been lied to three separate times about lice from Great Clips. The workers were extremely suspicious and unhelpful, causing panic among my family through their deceitful nature. Part of me believes they set up this act so they wouldn't have to go through the process of sending my daughter's hair to Locks of Love. I am never setting foot into another Great Clips!!! I may even sue for the financial and emotional damage they caused my family!!!

Original review: July 12, 2017

Today 7/11/17 I walked into Great Clips for the first time expecting a haircut since so many of my friends have told me such nice reviews about the place and I couldn't even stand in there for 30 seconds. The shop was extremely hot, uncomfortable for myself and the workers. They were very nice but they looked extremely overworked and exhausted. It made no sense that they had to work in those heat conditions where you couldn't barely breathe in the shop. I think the shop should be closed until the air is fixed because it's too hot for anybody to working in such weather conditions. It's totally unfair for those ladies to work like that.

Original review: July 11, 2017

Very dissatisfied with the haircut I received. Doubt if I will ever return to this Great Clips (EP True Parkway). Not only was the stylist rude, but she did not listen to how I wanted it cut. We all have bad days, but you do not need to take it out on a customer. She asked if the cut was how I wanted it, I said yes, but was afraid to tell her no for fear she would chop off more of my hair.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have used Great Clips for years. I have experienced employees that leave me for personal conversations and phone calls and rude employees. The noise level in the store is also very high. All conversations between the employees are not business related and boring to me. I like to get my hair in a quiet, relaxed environment. Something needs to be done here or changed because you are losing many customers because of this.

Original review: July 6, 2017

Check in tell me to come back in an hour, was just 2 people already getting hair done. I come back within an hour no one there sitting. Someone come in, a man, they take him first and he was not registered. I waited patiently and they did again. Enough is enough wow. They knew I was there ! :( Never again.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I'm out of town in Bradenton Florida. Went to Great Clips on 14th. Asked for a trim and back neckline tapered. Asked to leave top and sides alone and didn't want too short. She did it her way and scalped me. I'm completely unhappy and very dissatisfied with my experience. It will take forever for my hair to grow enough to even style it again. I don't even want to look at myself. Lesson learned and won't go there again!

Original review: June 19, 2017

Two weeks ago-I have used the Morrisville, PA Great Clips for a few years. Like the other reviews it is hit or miss for a good cut. I am 63 and not that picky. However, I am concerned about the standards of cleanliness. The last two visits (two different stylists) I sat down, looked in front of me and both times there was a hand towel covered in little hairs. A clipper clogged with somebody's hair. Scissors with hairs, a comb with the same hairs! The last girl, when I dared to question it said (in a nasty tone) "I will wipe the scissors just for you!" Nothing else was removed!!! Isn't there a health department rule about these things???

Original review: June 14, 2017

I have tried for years to make Great Clips my salon. I have endured high turnover of employees, poor even terrible haircuts, employees that leave me for personal conversations and phone calls, rude and crude employees. I finally found a good employee that is courteous and talented. I arrived today for a cut and she had been off for 4 minutes and refused to serve me. Wow! My last visit to Great Clips...

Original review: June 11, 2017

I had a terrible experience with a stylist, Jenny. I asked her to absolutely cut no more than 1/2 inch off my already short hair. Well she made me bald. Cut out all of my $50.00 perm and left bald spots all over the back of my hair. This happened back on 5/19 and I still can't do anything with my hair. There are just too many bald spots in the back. She cut off at least 1 to 1-1/4 inches off. That is a lot when your hair is short to begin with. Jenny should definitely not be allowed to cut short hair. She just does not know what she is doing! She might be ok with someone with long hair. I don't know.

Every morning when I try to fix my hair I want to cry. I actually wished I had taken them to court. I spoke with the girl that claims to be the manager, Colleen and she offered to give me a free haircut. Well that doesn't solve my problem of having bald spots all over the back of my head! Jenny should be fired! I had been going to Colleen for approximately 3 years and I don't know if I can go back there. While Colleen's haircuts are fine, this left a really bad taste in my mouth!

Original review: June 9, 2017

The people you hired can't cut hair right nor listen well. I asked for a simple "Taper Fade" and she instead shaved my whole right side off, right there then I can't say anything since she already screwed up my hair, and it would look even more messed up if one of my side was longer than the other. Thanks for the worse hair experience, they should be the ones paying for me since they ** up my hair.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Requested a regular haircut. Scissors or clippers at the operator's discretion. I was requested to take my glasses off. When I put my glasses on I was appalled at what Brett had done. Instead of a traditional haircut shaped to my head he had close cut the sides, left a larger "mop" on the top and almost shaved clean the back half of my head. I told him this was terrible and the worst haircut I have ever had. He stated he had 15 years experience. At which dog grooming parlor had he worked? I called Great Clips Corporate and complained. They stated that the local franchise owner would call me. A week later surprise- NO CALL. Great Clips is horrible. This is the first time in 68 years that I have had a completely unacceptable haircut. Brett should go back to dog grooming.

Original review: June 5, 2017

Needed a haircut. Went online to check in at Kelsey Creek GC in Bellevue WA. Said 0 waiting. I understand that people may walk-in and if I am not there they will take them. No problem. I walk in and there were to the stylist. Gentleman comes over and checks me in and I look at the screen I am number 1 waiting. The same gentleman finishes his client. The client gets up and pulls number 2 to the chair. He should have told her she would have to wait until he finished with me. But he pulls her off the list and takes her. What in the hell does GC have an online check-in system if they are not going to go by it? I have found out that checking in at GC does not work. It is a waste of time!!!

Original review: May 14, 2017

I wanted to give a quick shout out to Luba! She works at the Great Clips in Eagan Town Center. I have been going to Luba for several years. And she always has the best attitude. I honestly have left there every time feeling better. She is very professional and I would like everyone to know that if you need a genuine kind hearted hairstylist - Luba is your lady. Never have I ever been treated any way other than professional. Always greets me and always makes the time for me. She is one of a kind and I will always be going where Luba works. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Original review: May 10, 2017

I had a bad experience with this hair salon. I just went there couple of times but this time she cut my hair very badly. She instead cut my eyebrow half. I just noticed when my friend told me. Very bad service and haircut, never had it before like this.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I was going on a trip with my husband without the kids and wanted my hair cut. I showed the girl a picture of the haircut I wanted. Sort of even in the back and longer on the sides. Did the total opposite of what I wanted. The back of my hair is choppy and so is the front. The front is short and back long. Total opposite of what I asked. And when I ask her if she could straighten it to see what it would look like because I did not like the way it looked so far. She said it would be 20.00 extra. That is crazy. I went home and cried. It took me forever to grow my hair. And she just messed it up. Now I have to go to my other hairdresser to get it fixed and pay triple what I paid for Great Clips. But I would rather pay more and have it done right than go back to Great Clips. Horrible, horrible service.

Original review: May 7, 2017

I visited the Great Clips-Sharon Greens @ Cummings, GA. The stylist was Halecha. This was my 1st visit to this location as wait time was less. I am extremely dissatisfied the way she handled me and my 10 yrs. old son. 1st: She did not pull the chair down, so that my son can get easily. She was standing and looking while my son somehow managed to get to the chair. 2nd she asked, go and sit at the front and did not allow me to look at the haircut. In last 13 yrs 1st time somebody said that I cannot stand & look at the haircut. While I was sitting at the front, I saw another stylist who called the kid's mom to check if everything was OK. So I kept waiting that Halecha will call me as well. Which she NEVER DID. Well of course only 1 difference, the other KID was ** & mine was not. Not sure if that matters in this location. I will never use this facility again. Very bad experience.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Tonight my husband and our son went to GREAT clips for a haircut. Our son is 13 years old and knows what he wants. He asked for 3 inches on top and the number 1 on the sides. Well she used a number 1 all the way around. When he comes home my son was scratching his head and his head is completely red rash! I took pictures! I asked my son if she got the comb and razor out of the solution and he said it was laying on the table... No solution! I am so angry right now I will see the manager tomorrow morning! The girl lied and said my son asked for the number 3 all the way around, with a smirk on her face.

Original review: April 28, 2017

I called for an appointment on phone and received confirmation on phone for haircut. Upon arrival so was asked to be seated. Waited for almost 30 minutes for my turn. Then the lady came and informed me that she cannot take me for haircut since she can only accommodate 2 in the interest of time and invited two other persons who checked in online.

Upon questioning she said that they don't guarantee phone appointments except online check-ins. This was news to me. I wasted 1 hour of my time today for the entire episode visiting this branch. Please do not trust phone appointment confirmation with this franchise. The employees were arrogant while responding to customer concern. Stay away from it...

Great Clips Company Information