1.44/5
Based on 47 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 18, 2018

263 Great Clips Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

So I tried to check in on my phone and that did not work, so I tried to call and was told that it was walk ins only. So I tried to walk in and there was an hour wait because of the online check ins. Way too much trouble to get a haircut, too STRESSFUL, and your system is not working for us.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I have never in my life experienced such a lack in empathy. I was diagnosed with breast CANCER, had surgery last week and today was DENIED service for shampoo. (Pennington, NJ location) Lady stated it was their policy. You must purchase an additional service with shampoo. The price board states differently. Where is the compassion for breast cancer patients? After surgery I couldn’t lift my arms above my head so I needed assistance. Money? No issue. The store's attitude? TERRIBLE.

I left not only with my breast cancer and hanging tubes and drains along my sides, but I also left feeling let down by a woman who made me feel worse than my cancer. I despise this place. They have no compassion for cancer patients which leads me to see they don’t support any causes! I will never return and I have contacted the attorney general's office, Division of Civil Rights and anyone that cares to hear about a cancer patient treated wrong. Shame on you Great Clips. Never again.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I have been taking my grandma there to get her hair washed and when Nathan was there he always greeted us with a smile. But this past Sunday we were immediately made to feel like we weren’t welcome. The lady at the front told us they couldn’t wash her hair because they would be busy due to the sale on haircuts however there was no wait, no cars out front and no one waiting. Then one nice lady agreed to wash her hair and I told the lady I would be back that I had to run to KFC to get my grandma her food and asked if she wanted anything, even said I’d treat her she politely declined.

When I came back the rude lady at the front told me that my grandma couldn’t be left alone... what the heck?!?! She was sitting quietly not bothering anyone and I had only been gone 20 mins and the lady said she was waiting 30... how? Didn’t it take more than 5 mins to wash and dry her hair?? She was so rude that I told her we wouldn’t be back. If you are elderly do not go here. They made it very clear the elderly aren’t wanted... you can feel the tension when you walk in, it’s like everyone walks on eggshells due to the one big lady who so rudely controls the environment. Absolutely Horrible!!!!

Original review: April 22, 2018

Cathie is an excellent beautician! She listens to what the customer wants and the end result will keep me coming back for a haircut! Thank You! Great Hair Cut by Cathie at the Sorrento, Fl. Great Clips!

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have been cut my hair and my kids in GC but last time they cut my hair in a bad way. They have in their record from years that I keep my hair over my side, but this visit was very bad because read the comment and then cut it in wrong way, she had difficulty to speak and listen and has no voice. Even they offer free but never again, even she never give me a receipt. The place is Frankfort East, KY 40601.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Great Clips?

Original review: April 15, 2018

I took my daughter to get a haircut at Great Clips (Shopper Plaza, Gibsonia, PA) today. She wanted about 3 inches cut off. We sat in MaryAnne's chair and explained and showed her what we wanted. I even stayed to watch her make the first cut (about an inch below the chin). I then went and sat down, trusting that the haircut would be as explained. I was wrong. When I went to check in on my daughter I saw that her hair was now cut up to her lips. And to make matters worse, it was very choppy. My daughter was in tears. When I questioned her about the length, she said it was "shrinkage". That is just a lie. I know my daughter's straight hair, and it does not shrink 2.5 inches.

I then questioned why it was so choppy. MaryAnne said that she would fix that, but also said that in order to fix it, her hair would be even shorter. Another hair stylist stepped in when she saw how upset my daughter and I were and fixed her hair as best as she could. We were not charge (and believe me, I wouldn't have paid anyways). I was also offered a gift certificate, but I turned it down because we will NEVER be back. The woman who fixed my daughter's hair said that MaryAnne messes up quite often. If MaryAnne wasn't comfortable cutting girls' hair, then she should tell people. I would have gladly waited for another stylist. This woman should not be cutting anyone's hair. I've never seen my daughter so upset before and I don't blame her. Instead of getting 3 inches cut off, she had close to 6. I will never be back and I will also share my experience on other website and tell friends of mine to never return to a Great Clips.

Original review: April 5, 2018

So happy with my haircut today at the Great Clips on Warwick Road in Middletown, DE. Everyone at the salon is professional and very friendly!!! Mandy cut my hair today and it is beautiful! I'm so happy with it. So glad I met Mandy and she is such a FANTASTIC hairdresser, with a friendly, caring personality!!! I hope she never moves out of Delaware. Will always go back to her. ; )

Original review: April 5, 2018

I went to the Great Clips on S.Queen St in York Pa, did the online check-in all was good. 2nd person there, the girl asked me how I want my hair cut. I told her short and layered. She starts and says, "Oh you only want 3 inches cut off and trimmed." I'm like, "No. I told you short." A few minutes later she asked me if that's short enough. I said, "No. I want it at the nape of the neck and short, layered." 3 more times I had to tell her. She kept making my hair went, she goes, "Ok. I'm done." I said, "No. It's not what I want," so she plays a bit more. Finally in frustration I said, "It's fine." When I got home my hair was finally dry and a mess. I had bobs missing everywhere in the back. My bf took a pic it was horrible, wasn't even short like I asked. I was so upset and embarrassed. I work as a cashier I wasn't about to go to work this way.

I called them, manager says, "Come back. I'll fix it." I get there she proceeds to tell me the girl cut my hair the way I requested. I said, "No she didn't." "Well I don't understand how you want it cut." I was getting more upset. I said, "See the lady sitting waiting? I want it like hers." "Ok. But your file says a bob cut, and you had your last haircut in Etters Pa." I'm like, "I never in my life had a bob cut and I live in York Pa 5 minutes from your shop. I never go to Etters to start with. Why would I go there for a haircut?" She's like, "Well that's what my files say..." I was like, "Ok whatever. Just fix this mess." She did recut it and looks some better but not the way I wanted it but better than before... Needless to say I will never go back there again.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Took my son to the Ajax Great Clips. The lady who cut his hair did a terrible job, it seems like she was learning. He asked for a 3 on sides and scissors on top to have it longer, he is 15 years old... But this girl did a 3 on all and totally ruined his hair. It looks like an "army" style. I will never come back. Employees shouldn't "practice" on customers. So disappointed. Store manager didn't charge us for the cut and apologized for what happened.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Very rude. Unprofessional. Unfriendly. No experience. Not a place for anybody to come and get a haircut. Very rude environment. They say welcome in the beginning and then they don’t talk. I went to the one in 2830 Osceola Parkway Kissimmee fl 34743. Worst service ever.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Took my 7 year old there for a haircut. Told the girl leave the back just clean up the top and sides. She started in the back and not only cut what we didn’t want cut but also it was uneven. A few minutes into the haircut she finds a flea on my son and tells me she can’t proceed and I would have to take my son and leave. I could come back when I remedied the situation. What situation??!! One flea is a situation? A flea that very well could have jumped on him at their salon! And what should I do to remedy it, take him home for a flea bath?! I called 3 other salons who all agreed it was ridiculous and unprofessional. Never go there again!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My 13 year old son is so upset right now because he went for a haircut at Great Clips located at Fox Creek Plaza in Oakville and the short Asian woman cut the top of his hair short when I specifically asked her to cut it the exact length of the model in the photo by the entrance door which is approximately 3 inches. He wanted the side short and top longer to show off his beautiful curls. They are truly not professionals, and one other woman with a large build and blonde hair who also works there had the nerve to say my son's hair is actually longer than the photo because they are professionals and know what they are doing. The nerve! They are truly not professionals. They obviously can't take simple orders and cut hair the same length as a photo. Truly disappointed, my son has been growing his hair for a while, and now it's back to being short.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

I went there and asked for a simple trim and they gave me a bowl cut and it doesn’t stop there. Multiple of my friends have went there and have a absolutely terrible experience. Everyone I know that’s went there has not got what they wanted. They should either shut down or get better barbers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Okay long story short I had gotten my haircut at Great Clips in Dr. Phillips in Orlando and I usually get my haircut there for the last eleven years. And when I got my haircut there this year in 2018 the stylists who cut my hair said he would have to charge four to five dollars just for a simple rinse when I have never been asked to pay a few extra dollars just for a basic rinse as Great Clips has never asked me that. And now that they did it's like why should I pay extra money for a rinse if I'm already paying for a haircut that cost me roughly $15 bucks.

So now I will no longer be going back to Great Clips until they can stop charging customers an arm and a leg just for a water rinse as I always tend to get a rinse right after my haircut so I have decided to take my Business elsewhere as in The meantime I hope Great Clips gets shut down!!! Because it's just really absurd how they expect the customer to pay up for a rinse yet I could understand if it was a Luxurious shampoo Massage but a rinse. It never said that on the Price Board in the salon so someone is lying within the salon about these extra prices out of nowhere. It's just crazy and stupid at the same time.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I am a male customer. I provided a photo of myself of the style haircut I wanted. My hair was long in the back and I wanted to keep it long, but trimmed. The young lady said she could not cut it the way I wanted and proceeded to cut it in the way she wanted. The results was an uneven haircut with wild strand of hair in the back. Her "barbering" took no more than four minutes. I was so displeased after realizing she was not a skilled barber, I wasted no time in leaving the place. I have been cutting my own hair for years to avoid such an experience. I will now continue the practice.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Same everywhere but in particular today (12/13/17) I was at Great Clips at 530 E Hunt Hwy San Tan Valley, AZ 85143 and was the third person in line 10 minutes before open. Aside of the mother and two kids who blatantly cut in front of me (not Great Clip's fault) I was the 12th person to get a haircut when I should have been the 5th at worst taking into account the cutting mom. Taking into account the online checkins that were on the screen when I got to the counter (it was fun watching them just pop in line in front of you while you waited there) I should have been 6th. I had a flight at 11:30 that I barely made because of this and it wasn't just online checkins. They took other people from in the line before me as well. This needs to get fixed.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I was at Great Clips at (3348 Hikes Ln Louisville Ky, 40220) on Saturday, December 2 at 4:35pm and I come in check at desk with lady and she tell me it will be just few minutes. I am thinking how lucky I am to have this done quick and be out...10 minutes later stylist come out and tell me, “Sorry ma'am but we are not taking any customers today anymore”. I said, “Why you are open till 6pm and when I check in she did not tell me anything about it”. She said, “Yes we are open till 6 but today we have decide to close at 5” (no note on door saying about early closing also) so she open the door for me and tell me like, “Go down the street to our second location. They are open till 6. They might be able to help you”...

I am now already upset but they are on my way home so I stop by at (4610 S Hurstbourne Pkwy Louisville, Ky 40299) and yes they work till 6 but lady who is checking in said they can't fit me. They have lot people in front me and I look monitor in front and see just 3 names on list and I ask, “I see just 3 people on list”. She said, “Yes but she is leaving and other stylist left and just no time for more”. Still door is open I see some people still went in but my service was refused on 2 location at same day. I take my kids for while at Hikes location and I have my both kids haircuts done just last Thursday on November 30 and I have been satisfied with their work on my kids especially for my son...but after this I will not go back although it doesn't looks like they care at all.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Freedom Pkwy, Cumming, GA - I had a wonderful experience today at Great Clips! I got the check-in app for my phone and checked in when I left my house. When I arrived, I was greeted by name and asked to wait for a few minutes while the next stylist in line was finishing with a client. I was so excited it was going to be Wes! I've had Wes a couple of times before and was always been delighted with his work. I should add I always asked for a different style than the one I was currently sporting. He is very knowledgeable with his craft, helpful, and friendly. Everyone at this location is friendly, and I will continue to bring my business here.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

WTF. Why they ask me what type of haircut and how long I want on the top using numbers and how much I want left. It's so damn confusing!! Now stop. I should have to show you a picture example. You're grown adults.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

So I arrive at 9:10: unable to register online, there is a line up already, not so bad only 3 people ahead of me, but then walks in a preregistered, and then the 2 hairdressers stop every 5 minutes to register clients coming in and conversing with them at cash... while you're waiting. Then when you finally get in the chair, your time is interrupted x 5 every time your hairdresser addresses the next walk in. Then the hairdressers all chatting at the desk trying to troubleshoot the system, all the long I’m sitting... waiting... When I say to hairdresser, "You guys need a receptionist" she says to me “there no money for that, at 4.99 a haircut people who come are coupon hunters”: and won’t be back when coupons are over in January... So much for retention. I think I’d rather pay more, have an actual time, and a professional.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I could tell from the time I entered the salon the two employees were very new staffers. They were so busy talking with each other that I had to interrupt them to get service. I was the only customer there. They continued to talk to each other the whole time I was there. All they did was complain about everything I.e. other Great Clips stores they previously worked at, former colleagues etc. etc. The list goes on and on. My stylist Ernest never said a word to me. All he did was complain about everything and anything. E.g. His own accidents from clumsiness at a newly opened up gym.

I was extremely uncomfortable there. I was literally wanting to walk out. Ernest was removing my cape and collar when I asked him to trim my eyebrows, his very quick response was "I'm not done yet." Very rude. Never asked if I wanted gel etc. I've been going to Great Clips for many years at many different locations and never had an issue. This Ernest needs to learn manners, etiquette and to certainly not badmouthing his employer in front of customers or anyone for that matter.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I am very disappointed with Great Clips service at the above location, I went there with my son to cut our services, the hair cutter name Karen **, were very prejudiced I felt that she discriminated me, also she cut my hair and when my son time came who was waiting for more than 30 minutes, then there was another girl was working and she did not took my son, and he was waiting for already too long time, as soon as Karen cut my hair, the another lady came and she took her before my son who was waiting for his hair way before that lady came, and said to my son, "You have to wait for the cut for more than 30 minutes more". I left the store without cutting my son's hair and went to another location when they cut his hair in seconds. This is very bad service and if it is not get noticed I will post this incident in bad review, and report to BBB.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I went to Great Clips because I just moved here and didn't know where to go. BIG MISTAKE I walked in with 3 layers (medium length) and wanted it shortened up, same style. Walked out with so many layers I can't count them all. The back looks like a rug that someone took a pair of scissors to and cut a chunk out. Horrible. I can't wait till it grows out and I can get a real haircut. DON'T waste time or money here. I am so disappointed and mad at the same time!!! I will warn everyone to stay away, should not even get 1 star!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I worked for this company for 6 months. In this time I’ve had to redo over a hundred haircuts because of the young inexperience hairdressers on the staff. The managers are in their 20's and have no clue how to run salon or even cut hair. The prices are cheap because the stylist are required to cut hair in under 16 mins. If you want a ten dollar messed up haircut. You’ll get what you paid for at this salon. I’d go to Fantastic Sams or Supercuts before giving any Great Clips a chance to screw up your hair. Especially the one in Schenectady.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Great Clips Chisago City, MN. Worst experience ever!!! Open til 4:00 my butt. Drive all the way there. Walk in at 3:45 to be told they won't help us. Best part... No apology. Need some work on your customer service!!! Sincerely, A communications manager. And we will stop utilizing your faculties!!!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I hate this place. I asked for a 2 inch trim. The woman who was doing my hair then got a razor and shaved my hair much. She basically butchered it. I stopped her before she got to the top. I asked her why she was butchering my hair and she said she was just doing a 2. I told her I had a 2 inch trim and it was just fine. She then said that what she did was really a 2. I then left. I am never going back! They just butcher your hair. She said it would grow back in a week and a half. Really? GREAT CLIPS IS HORRIBLE.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I had my hair cut with a girl by the name of Briana. She asked me how I wanted it cut and she measured to about the middle of my back, which was about 2 inches. When she was done, my hair is now to the nape of my neck, which is NOT what I wanted at all! She totally ignored what I was asking for and did what she wanted anyway. She is very lucky I don't have the time or the money to pursue what I really want to do, which is go to the cosmetology board and demand to have her license pulled. I also would want to go to where she went to school and tell them they should be ashamed of themselves for graduating her from their school.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

O.M.G. don't go to Whittlesey Blvd. in Columbus, GA!! I asked the stylist to part the hair on one side and cut everything beneath the part then do the same on the other side, connect the back and leave the rest. How hard can that be? The first thing the stylist did was cut straight into the side without parting it effectively cutting the length off the top. I immediately said no and she turned the chair away from the mirror and said she would fix it. 15 minutes later she showed it to me and she did the same thing on the other side and neither side was even close to even!!

To try "fixing it" all they did was cut the right side 3 inches higher up on my head so the sides of the section are 1 inch and the top is 4. I look like a Goth version of Mr. Potato Head!! I left so mad I didn't get my receipt and contacted customer service. We'll see if they even try to fix this jacked up mess (which means I will have to have all my hair cut military short and spend MONTHS growing it out again!). Will never go to another "Great Clips" again!!!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

When Great Clips opened up I went there, salon owner wanted me to use her, I said I wanted somebody else, she said, "Is it because I am Mexican." I left the salon then. 6 mo. Later on I went back, had a coupon and the lady said, "We do not have coupons." I had it and not expired, from 12.99 to 9.99 for that salon. Would not take it.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

On August 17th I proceeded with a stylist by the name of Nancy, who did not take any direction that I wanted my hair styled. So after the service after still paying of course I wanted to talk to a manager. She stated that she was not in and I can call her tomorrow from the hours of 9 am to 2 pm. On the 18th of August I had called the Manager by the name of Latasha, who seemed to be too busy for my complaint.Never called me, never cared about my complaint. I called 4 times that day. I continued to call and she was "always busy " or " she would call me back". No such call or even sympathy was regarded about my situation.

My real complaint was at first of the haircut I originally had received, but the complaint I am addressing is that the "Manager" of the store failed to contact me or even bother with addressing any sort of apology or agreement. I honestly feel that the manager of the establishment should be reprimanded on the fact the poor communication skills and horrible customer service to a paying customer.

Great Clips Company Information