2. Shopping

Crest Toothpaste

3.9/5 (197 ratings)

About Crest Toothpaste

Crest Toothpaste Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest Toothpaste?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest?

Original review: June 9, 2021

I used the enamel toothpaste and the next day the inside of my lips were swollen and sore. I have never had any reaction to any Crest toothpaste. I am so upset. I can't eat anything salty or spicy because I'm in pain.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Introduced to product sample my recent dental visit and have been an avid Crest product user for very many years. The Gum Detoxify product sample says "Deep Clean" on the small box (24g) and my home size (116g) product says "Gentle Whitening" on the box. The first active ingredient on both products is "Stannous fluoride 0.454%". After using both products during approximate 30 day period I began to notice mouth irritation like a rash/chemical burns in the roof, gums and tongue areas. I ceased use, visited a local Urgent Care facility to obtain symptom documentation & Rx steroid prescription for 4-days and returned back to previous Crest product. Maybe if Gum Detoxify is used on a limited basis? I think more study is required.

Get buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Well I normally have no problems with CREST but their charcoal Crest toothpaste has caused my tongue to feel swollen and painful. This is the first time I have tried this particular kind of toothpaste with Crest. I have used their other kinds of toothpaste in the past. I think it is linked to the toothpaste as there is a lot of tongue burning that I feel when using this toothpaste. I have now switched over to a sensitive toothpaste. I have never had a problem with tongue swelling on both sides of the tongue this way. It's so awful that my teeth on the sides of my tongue constantly rub up against my swollen tongue which is how I figured my tongue was swollen in the first place. Then I took my fingers and pinched my tongue where my teeth are touching and felt crazy pain. I think this should be checked into, maybe there is some type of chemical burn happening with their toothpaste? This is dangerous. Please contact CREST. TY! If nobody calls them I may contact them directly.

Original review: April 16, 2021

After about 1 week of using Crest Gum Detoxify I noted that the interior of my mouth was starting to peel from the sides in thin "white" strips leaving my mouth raw and uncomfortable. I also experienced pain in my front teeth, along gum lines. I noted a metallic taste in my mouth shortly after brushing my teeth and my taste buds appeared raised and irritated. In the 2nd week I changed to a brand that is for sensitive teeth and used Dentist recommended mouthwash to alleviate the discomfort. Just to be sure that the Crest Gum Detox was actually affecting me as I first stated, I tried the Gum Detoxify on the 3rd week. After 2nd brushing, my mouth once again peeled, metallic taste returned, tongue was irritated and my teeth in front hurt. I have returned to another toothpaste and started using the treatment mouthwashes again.

Original review: March 28, 2021

I thought I had coronavirus- nope after 4 days of using Crest 3D whitening I had an awful metallic taste in my mouth. Stopped a week ago and it improved somewhat - I can’t drink any carbonated without creating a nasty taste. Still feel like I have a tongue burn a week later. It’s driving me crazy - I don’t enjoy eating anything. Thankfully I found this site and realized salsa tasted extra hot and the metallic taste with numb tongue. I really hope this eventually goes away. I’m going to call my dentist for suggestions. Really hope my taste buds aren’t permanently damaged. I am so angry there were no warnings - I always considered Crest a safe brand. After seeing these reviews they have to know it can cause issues and have ignored these complaints. Unacceptable.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I used this toothpaste just a few times and I started noticing pain in my teeth and gums. Now a week or two later the pain is so bad. I could hardly stand it, the pain is spreading. I can't eat on one side of my mouth. Today I rinsed with salt water and I hope that's going to help with the pain. I may end up having to go to the dentist and spend money to try and get this fixed. I have never experienced throbbing pain in my mouth like this.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Okay. For one: this has been going on for about 2 weeks and I have been losing my mind. I can’t sleep, I can’t eat, I can barely breath without this awful disgusting taste and smell in the back of my throat. I can hardly describe it, but I’ll do my best. It is like a smoky, metallic-y, chemically, sickly sweet acetone taste mixed with breathing in welding fumes. And kind of like breathing in fumes from a perm solution.

I have tried looking into everything. Literally everything. What I’ve been eating, I’m taking no medications, what I’ve been breathing in/smelling/coming in contact with, allergies (I have none), and I have not been able to figure it out. This smell/taste has been so disgustingly terrible that I don’t even want to eat. It makes me sick to my stomach. I have sat and cried multiple times because it has been so overwhelming to have this constant nasty chemical taste and smell in my face 24/7. After looking into everything possible, I went to brush my teeth tonight (after rushing this morning I forgot to brush my teeth and the smell/taste wasn’t so bad today and seemed to be going away) I open this tube of tooth paste and immediately smell it. The same smell that has been living in my face for almost two weeks. So I googled it and I found this page. Other people are talking about this smoky chemical metallic taste and I’m so glad I found out what this is. Oh my god I could scream.

Not only have I experienced this, I have had the sloughing off of my cheek skin and random sore spots including under my tongue and ulcers in between my top gums and cheeks (I have never had ulcers before using this tooth paste). I have been losing my mind over this and I’m so glad I now know what has been causing it. If you see this, please god never use this tooth paste. This has been, by far, the most infuriating, upsetting, disgusting inconvenience to my life that I have yet to experience and I hope it goes away fully. And if you are seeing this, you are probably here trying to find out what’s wrong with you. So here it is. You found it. I’m sorry. It’s your trash tooth paste. This needs to be pulled from shelves.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2021

I bought Crest Pro Health two weeks ago when my Colgate ran out and I was just switching things up. Immediately after I started using it my tongue would burn and my tastebuds would feel numb. I thought maybe it would go away if I kept using it. After about a week and a half I started noticing canker sores and the insides of my cheeks and lips were red and irritated. I thought maybe I was brushing too hard so I switched to a soft-bristled brush. Two days later and my tongue and cheek/lip tissue is so swollen and sore it hurts for them to even touch my teeth or food. Even doing nothing, my mouth hurts. I finally figured it out when I went to gently try and brush my teeth and the toothpaste touched my skin and burned like hell itself. After some research and finding this thread I am confident it is the toothpaste that has been destroying my mouth. It is headed into the trash and I will be buying my Colgate again ASAP.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I have been using Crest Gum Detoxify for about two and a half weeks. I developed painful sensitivity to my front teeth and two dental crowns came off! The first had been in for 7 years and the other less than 1 year. I have had no issues with these until using this toothpaste. Please beware. Do not purchase. This should be a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

In three days of using Crest Prohealth Clinical Mouthwash, I've lost my sense of taste in the front half of my tongue (especially when something is salty), my saliva glands are swollen and very sore on both sides of my face to the point of looking like a chipmunk, opening my mouth is painful, eating/drinking causes intense fire-like sensations in my cheeks (similar to when you eat something really sour) with every bite, and my gums are more sensitive than before.

Crest Toothpaste Company Information