1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

855 Crest Toothpaste Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have used this product three times and my teeth are extremely sensitive and my gums hurt. I have never had a product do this to my teeth and gums. This product is horrible! I would not recommend this product to anyone! I will be going back to my old toothpaste that I've used for years. As far as my mouthwash I'll be throwing Crest away and going back to Listerine. That never gave me any problems. I wish I would have read these reviews before I use the product. It would have saved me a lot of pain.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I started using Crest 3-D whitening toothpaste a few months ago, and I started noticing, that at night my mouth would become so dry, I would have to keep a glass of water by my bed, to rinse my mouth... So I thought why all of a sudden this has started, so I stop using it, and within a day, my mouth got back to normal... I was talking to a friend this morning, and was telling him, and he said, "It's strange you say this, because I have have to keep a bottle of water by my bed, because my mouth gets so dry..."

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I started using Crest 3D Whitening about a year ago. At first I thought it was working for me. Over time my teeth had became so sensitive. I couldn't stand to drink or eat anything hot or cold. I went to the dentist and I was told to use it only a few days a week not daily. I tried that. Then I noticed my throat had started to become itchy and sore. It had become unbearable so I stopped using it. I haven't had the sore throat in a few days. My husband had been using the same product. He's been using it for about 3 months. He's currently experiencing mouth sores and a sore throat daily. He thinking that it's an infection or something. I told him to stop using the product. He didn't think it could be the toothpaste because Crest has been on the market for years. We'll see how he feels after a week.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My children and I began using Crest Brilliance mouthwash in mid-July of this year. Our tongues all became incredibly painful and the sublingual area (underneath) swelled and was excruciating. We stopped using it, but it was too late. We developed mucocele and lesions, bizarre growths. I lost my sense of taste, we all developed painful white and red lines inside our cheeks and lips, jaw swelling and pain, our palates turned yellow and the inside of our mouths became covered in broken blood vessels. We became seriously ill - we were seen in the e.r. multiple times, medics have been to the house twice for me. We have seen 4 different specialists. My family thought I was going to die.

I am 36 years old. I do not have insurance. It is now the end of December, almost Christmas. I have been referred to immunology based on my labwork and the timeline of events. My children fared better than I did, as they did not use the product as often or as long as I did, but it has been horrific knowing what kind of pain they have gone through and being powerless to stop it. I am now $30000 in debt. I lost my job. My body is very weak. Prior to this, I was an exceptionally healthy and active person. I loved my life. The pain that I have experienced since I used this product caused me to seriously consider taking my own life at many points. Please for the love of God someone make them remove this product before it destroys another family. It is extremely dangerous. I need a lawyer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I’ve been using Crest for a long time and I have never had an experience like this. I was brushing my teeth like usual and when I rinsed my mouth I immediately noticed redness and swelling around my lips and mouth. This is my chin now two days after. I have scabbing and swelling. I wonder why Crest hasn’t pulled the products. It’s obvious something is going on!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I started using Crest detoxify toothpaste a few days ago. Last night out of nowhere, I was drinking blood. Scared me because there was no reason for it and it has never happened before. This morning I brushed my teeth and my mouth bleed like crazy. Tonight I brushed my teeth and my mouth blood like crazy. I now believe it has to do with the Crest Detoxify. I will no longer use it and I'm sure the problem will go away.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I started using Crest Cinnamon about a month ago. I only used it on occasion. I never put two and two together until recently. A few times after I washed my face and brushed my teeth I would notice a severe swelling around my mouth and lips. I excused it thinking it was my facecloth being too rough or something. This happened a few times. The other day, I used the toothpaste and when I finished rinsing my mouth I looked in the mirror and instantly my entire mouth started to swell. My chin and lips started to get bright red and burn like a bee sting. I still wasn't sure it was the toothpaste because I used it before and thought it was just strong in the cinnamon. Last night I took the toothpaste and was again about to use it, but instead... I took a dime size amount out and put it on the top of my hand. Waited literally 4 seconds and rinsed it off.

Within seconds my hand started to swell and get warm to HOT. It lasted and got worse for about 1 hr. I have to say, I volunteer at the local animal shelter and we have to use straight bleach when we clean. I NEVER have had a reaction to any cleanser or detergent like this toothpaste. The scariest part, is that it is going in my mouth. Remembering the one time I used it, I thought I was having an allergic reaction to food, because I felt close to anaphylaxis! I have now determined it is this toothpaste! I will NEVER use a Crest product again. This is truly the scariest thing to think that some chemical in their toothpaste is doing this to me. If it had that reaction on my skin of my hand, what if it got accidentally in my eye or?? Please be aware of this reaction and do not use this toothpaste.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Updated on 11/28/2018: Since I stopped using the Gum Detoxify toothpaste and Crest Pro Health Advanced Mouthwash all of the pain and dental issues have completely stopped. The jaw pain was completely gone 3 days after I stopped using the products. I switched to Tom’s toothpaste with Fluoride and Tom’s Wicked Fresh Mouthwash. I am 100% certain that this was the cause of my dental issues.

Original Review: I’m sitting here at 4 am writing this review; because, I can’t sleep due to severe mouth pain. I suspect that the Crest Gum Detoxify toothpaste is the cause. My wife gave me the product about a month ago. That was about the time of my last dentist appointment. I started noticing some minor mouth pain about a week ago. It kept getting worse. I figured I was just grinding my teeth, but I have been wearing a mouth guard. Tonight I flossed then I rinsed with Crest 3D advanced mouthwash. Then I brushed my teeth. The toothpaste felt very different, I double checked to make sure I hadn’t put the wrong cream on the brush. The severe pain started about 15 minutes later. It feels like my gums and jaw are throbbing. Almost like a toothache, but there is no sensitivity from rinsing with cold water. My upper gums feel like they are on fire. I’m going to stop using the toothpaste and mouthwash to see if it clears up.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased this item 2 weeks ago, and it literally burned the inside and the outside of my mouth so severely, that I now have to see my dermatologist today. I was unable to eat or drink without a straw this past weekend due to the scabbing/bleeding/peeling/stinging on my lips, plus the sores on the inside of my mouth. I’ve never experienced such a reaction to a product in my life! I emailed Crest.com...but they never responded.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Share your experience with me! I similarly had a bad experience with Crest Pro-Health! The toothpaste caused the skin inside my mouth to peel off and my lips are still suffering! Would anyone want to help me figure out what is causing this to happen? Please email me at **. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I had to have a tooth pulled in early June due to grinding that had worn a hole clear through a tooth. Although the dentist said that my gums and the other teeth were in good shape, I have no insurance and cannot afford cleanings twice a year. So, he recommended that I begin using Crest Gum and Enamel Repair. For the first few weeks, it seemed fine. Then my gums started to swell. My mouth was so sore, I seriously thought I had a gum infection. The skin began to peel away from the gums around my teeth. I had white ulcers on the inside of my cheeks and on the gums.

I called the dentist for an appointment and told them what was going on. The receptionist said she would make it for a few weeks out but in the meantime, to stop using the Crest Gum & Enamel Repair and see if it didn't clear up. Sure enough, it did and I canceled the appointment. Apparently, it was a reaction to the stannous fluoride in the toothpaste. Now, I just use baking soda. Yes, it tastes nasty but it does the job of removing the plaque without risking damage to my gums. Crest should really put a warning on this stuff about how powerful it is. It might be great for somebody with a lot of plaque build up but for somebody with no dental problems, it can really do some damage. Never again!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have had this toothpaste a number of months (Crest 3D White), and didn't have very many negatives except it tasted really chemically (most toothpastes do). Around the 5th or 6th month I started to use this twice a day, instead of just once a day. That is when I started to notice that my tongue was getting a strange numbing/tingling sensation. I went to the doctors and they ran a full neuro suite on me (testing for signs of MS, ALS, Parkinson's etc), and any sign of inflammation in the oro-esophageal area.

They noted that I seemed to have a acute case of gingivitis plus irritated peritonsillar area and prescribed a mouthwash (of which made things worse. It was ** I believe). I eventually started to feel like I was losing my mind, and started scouring the web for answers. I looked at everything from black mold to reflux (of which your doctor will HAPPILY prescribe PPIs for btw). I personally believe reflux is the most overdiagnosed disease at this point. Google anything about the topic of burning mouth and you are sure to find nothing about TOOTHPASTE, except, well here. I was starting to feel like there was a conspiracy about it.

All that aside, I found that if I did not use my toothpaste, the burning feeling subsided, and the numbing in my tongue seems to stay a little. It seems that there is some longer term damage from it that affects the tongue (a very sensitive bit of tissue), and this is likely because the taste buds are destroyed from the various caustic ingredients in the toothpaste. I have read other reviews that say some paraesthesia even after a month or so seems to go on. I think this might be because of the damage needing repair and all that. It is possible that some of the damage is permanent. There is really no way to tell.

I forgot to mention that aside from the burning and gingivitis, my gums began to recede... Anyways, this stuff is toxic, DO NOT USE IT, PERIOD. Why it is on the shelves is beyond me. It contains sodium hydroxide (lye), which is used to clean pipes. WHY is this in a toothpaste you ask? The claim is that it neutralizes the acids in the toothpaste, but if that is the case, why add the acids to begin with? Again, my mind keeps going into paranoia of a conspiracy on the level of the flouride crisis here in the USA.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

After 3 or 4 days that I had started using Crest Gum Detoxify and Crest Gum Care Oral Rinse I developed the worst pain along my gums that progressed to my whole mouth, my jaw, my tongue, and my throat. I was in so much pain I made an appointment with my dentist who took x-rays but couldn't find anything. Usually with a toothache you have clues that you have a problem, but this just developed overnight. I didn't even think to let him know I had started using these products. I missed 2 1/2 days of work. I was in so much pain. Since I stopped using the products the pain has pretty much gone away. I called Crest and I'm getting a refund.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have had the worst experience with this toothpaste. Burning mouth, peeling jaws, irritated tongue. You would think a toothpaste would have a person running back & fourth to the dentist thinking they are about to lose their mind. Prescriptions the dentist are not helping. Why? Because it's the toothpaste you are using. My God. Dentist getting richer & my mouth is still in pain.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I brought this crest 3D whitener and it did make my teeth white and I are very pleased with the whitening. Then I start experiencing burning of the tongue, Blackness of the tongue, sore throat. You know I'm trying to figure out what is this, I even went to the doctor. He gave me some fungus medicine. I took the fungus medicine. Nothing happen. The Blackness still on my tongue, then I got concerned and scared because I never experienced nothing like this before and I'm always in the dentist office. I brush, I floss, I do all the right things but I was trying to figure out why is my tongue feeling numb. Why is it burning? My taste bud is gone. So reading all the reviews I realized it's Crest toothpaste and the mouthwash. Never again will I use it again. As of today 9/22/18 I'm putting it in the trash and I'm going back to Colgate.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

So 2 days ago I bought Crest Toothpaste Detoxify and Crest Clinical Mouthwash and I noticed today when I woke up that there was a lot of pain in my mouth from my gums and tongue. There are these white spots in my lower jaw that would bleed when I touched them. The tip of my tongue is really red and swollen to the point it feels like it's been burned pretty badly. I was really hoping that these products would work, I feel like I possibly have gotten a chemical burn from either one of the products or both. I'm really worried about the kind of chemicals that are in these products because I have never had this happen to me before.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

When brushing my teeth with this toothpaste I'd always get a never ending mint aftertaste even though I had brushed my teeth 9 hours ago! It got to the point where my tongue almost felt numb after repeated use and I immediately went back to Colgate. Stay away from Crest! It's made by Proctor and Gamble which makes a ton of different product lines!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I started using Crest detoxify, and later in the day I noticed a pain in my gums. Thinking the toothpaste was really working, I thought no more of it. I brushed again using the Crest detoxify. This time my mouth was in severe pain, my gums began to swell and the skin started peeling off. This not only happened to my gums, but the entire inside of my mouth. My Dr. said it looks like a bad chemical reaction. Be careful using this product, it is harmful to some.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I had been using this product for about six weeks when the hygienist told me my gums were a mess. The next appt was better with Crest detoxify. Then my jaw started giving me pain to the point that I couldn’t close my mouth all the way because it hurt so bad. I didn’t realize this product was the cause until we went camping for a week and I used a different toothpaste in my travel bag. The pain went away and I could comfortably chew on that side. We get back home and I went back to the detoxify toothpaste and the same problem occurs. I stopped using it and the pain disappeared. I’m convinced it was this toothpaste causing the problem. Be careful with it!

Original review: June 17, 2018

I used Crest Baking Soda & Peroxide Whitening for 3 to 4 weeks before feeling a deep aching tooth pain. I felt maybe I should go to the dentist, so I scheduled an appointment. I could not get seen for 2 weeks. I decided to wait and deal with the pain. Then my other tooth started hurting. That was strange, never had I had 2 teeth at the same time hurting. Worse yet, 2 more teeth started to give me a deep throbbing pain. That's 4 teeth at the same time. I used clove oil, ** and gargled with whiskey and Listerine to try and kill the pain. It kept coming back. Just yesterday my wife was in severe tooth pain after she had just visited the dentist for a cleaning 2 days before and she had no problems or cavities.

I have never expected to be attacked by a poisonous product that is on store shelves. I am sitting here at 4 am because I cannot sleep because of the pain caused by this product. Greed is the motivation behind Proctor and Gamble selling these products that are not checked by anyone and are sold to consumers to be some kind of lab experiment. I want to sue them so that other consumers do not have to feel the pain that my wife and I are experiencing after using their product. We are not your personal experiment Proctor and Gamble!!! And, you are not above the Law.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with Crest Pro-Health toothpaste. Every time I used it, a thin layer of skin would come off of my entire mouth. The lid on the tube is always in the way, & when squeezing the tube, the toothpaste gets everywhere. The toothpaste is also too liquid. I am a senior & have never in my life submitted a complaint about a product. I will never buy this product & my word of mouth will be against this product. I will, however, still purchase standard Crest Toothpaste. Thank you for hearing my concerns.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Do not buy Crest Baking Soda Toothpaste! I have been using this toothpaste for about two months with no problems but yesterday morning I woke up with painful ulcers (canker sores) inside my mouth. I brushed my teeth twice with this toothpaste yesterday (as usual) without realizing that they caused my ulcers. But when I woke up this morning, the ulcers were even worse. It now hurts to smile and talk and move my mouth in general. Also, it hurts a lot when I brush my teeth and I can only eat soft foods.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Hey, I have been bleaching my teeth for several months and I use the same whitening – Crest Health Pro and now I have been noticing some areas of my gum-lines are turning grey/brown. I got scared so I read up on it, and it said that the spots comes from using whitening for your teeth… I went on the internet to find out how to clear it up… It said to use some hydroperoxide to clear it up and discontinue the Crest, and don't brush too hard. While I guess, I used too much peroxide because, now my tongue is all messed up; brown and hairy looking. Yes hairy looking. I looked that hairy condition up and it said too much peroxide. Going to dentist today.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I only used this Crest 3D White toothpaste product 3 times before I started having gum pain. This morning after using it for the third time my gums are really sore and it felt like I was jabbing my gums with a wire brush while I was brushing my teeth. All day long I am feeling sick!

Original review: April 14, 2018

After 2 weeks or so using it, my gums are red and sore and it feels like I burned the inside of my lips and gums. I am off it for 2 days and I am slowly feeling better. I'm throwing it in the trash. I have always had healthy gums but was using it for whitening.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I used it (Crest Pro Health Clinical Mouthwash) two days ago. I stopped today when I realized this stuff was the reason for two huge sores on my gums and my tongue feeling like the first layer of skin has been burned off. I'm contacting lawyers to feel if there's any traction to a class action suit. This product is causing thousands of dollars in physical and emotional damage.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Crest Pro-Health Clinical Oral Rinse - I used this product for the first time yesterday morning. I noticed a white foam covering the inside of my mouth, tongue, and cheeks. I assumed it was because this product contains peroxide and it was just cleaning everything thoroughly. I used it again last night. As I was swishing, I noticed a burning sensation on the inside of my cheeks. Once again, I just assumed that meant it was working and killing the bacteria. I continued swishing a few more seconds, the pain increased, and a stabbing sensation went through my jaw and into my ear. I spit the product out as fast as I could. I went to bed and woke up this morning with the side of my face swollen and tender. There is nothing going on inside of my mouth that I can see or feel, however my lymph nodes by my jaw bones on the right side of my face are very swollen. It is uncomfortable to turn my head, talk, etc. The pain radiates into my ear.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I’m so glad I found these reviews. I’ve been going crazy trying to figure out why my lips have turned almost black over the past two months. They have been so dry, and they feel like they are swelling at the same time. At times they go from being cracked and bleeding to feeling like they are smooth yet tough like leather. No amount of lip balm or almond oil has helped. My lips have always been a rosy pink until I started using this toothpaste. I truly hope that now that I’ve figured it out that they will turn back to the correct color.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased Crest Pro Health Advanced "Extra Deep Clean" mouthwash and used it 2x a day. The second day I noticed that the tip of my tongue felt burned and my tastebuds were visible. At that point I had not realized that it was from the mouthwash. I continued use. The next day after using it again I noticed that my mouth tasted metallic and food tasted weird. Later on I noticed that I had an open sore above my gums that looked like a burn. It was extremely painful. I haven't eaten for two days and have been in bed rinsing my mouth with warm salt water every 20 minutes to soothe the discomfort and pain. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow to deal with all of this. Crest should have to pay for this, I am irate that something as simple as a mouthwash has destroyed my tastebuds, my tongue, my inner cheek and gum damage.

I have searched online and saw HUNDREDS of other consumers who had the same issue. I am disgusted that this product is still allowed on shelves. I typically use Listerine (my whole life) and never had this issue ever before. I purchased this on a whim as it was on sale at target, biggest mistake I've ever made. I dumped the remaining product down the drain so no one else would use it. I am so upset and hope someone reaches out to rectify this situation. I genuinely hope this does not happen to another person, this has been a nightmare. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have been using the toothpaste and also the mouth cleaning fluoride. My gum is irritated, inflamed. Inside my cheeks my skin turned white. Finally I had also terrible stomach issues for almost 10 days and lost weight.

Crest Toothpaste Company Information