1.23/5
Based on 701 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

838 Crest Toothpaste Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 30, 2018

I had been using this product for about six weeks when the hygienist told me my gums were a mess. The next appt was better with Crest detoxify. Then my jaw started giving me pain to the point that I couldn’t close my mouth all the way because it hurt so bad. I didn’t realize this product was the cause until we went camping for a week and I used a different toothpaste in my travel bag. The pain went away and I could comfortably chew on that side. We get back home and I went back to the detoxify toothpaste and the same problem occurs. I stopped using it and the pain disappeared. I’m convinced it was this toothpaste causing the problem. Be careful with it!

Original review: June 17, 2018

I used Crest Baking Soda & Peroxide Whitening for 3 to 4 weeks before feeling a deep aching tooth pain. I felt maybe I should go to the dentist, so I scheduled an appointment. I could not get seen for 2 weeks. I decided to wait and deal with the pain. Then my other tooth started hurting. That was strange, never had I had 2 teeth at the same time hurting. Worse yet, 2 more teeth started to give me a deep throbbing pain. That's 4 teeth at the same time. I used clove oil, ** and gargled with whiskey and Listerine to try and kill the pain. It kept coming back. Just yesterday my wife was in severe tooth pain after she had just visited the dentist for a cleaning 2 days before and she had no problems or cavities.

I have never expected to be attacked by a poisonous product that is on store shelves. I am sitting here at 4 am because I cannot sleep because of the pain caused by this product. Greed is the motivation behind Proctor and Gamble selling these products that are not checked by anyone and are sold to consumers to be some kind of lab experiment. I want to sue them so that other consumers do not have to feel the pain that my wife and I are experiencing after using their product. We are not your personal experiment Proctor and Gamble!!! And, you are not above the Law.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with Crest Pro-Health toothpaste. Every time I used it, a thin layer of skin would come off of my entire mouth. The lid on the tube is always in the way, & when squeezing the tube, the toothpaste gets everywhere. The toothpaste is also too liquid. I am a senior & have never in my life submitted a complaint about a product. I will never buy this product & my word of mouth will be against this product. I will, however, still purchase standard Crest Toothpaste. Thank you for hearing my concerns.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Do not buy Crest Baking Soda Toothpaste! I have been using this toothpaste for about two months with no problems but yesterday morning I woke up with painful ulcers (canker sores) inside my mouth. I brushed my teeth twice with this toothpaste yesterday (as usual) without realizing that they caused my ulcers. But when I woke up this morning, the ulcers were even worse. It now hurts to smile and talk and move my mouth in general. Also, it hurts a lot when I brush my teeth and I can only eat soft foods.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Hey, I have been bleaching my teeth for several months and I use the same whitening – Crest Health Pro and now I have been noticing some areas of my gum-lines are turning grey/brown. I got scared so I read up on it, and it said that the spots comes from using whitening for your teeth… I went on the internet to find out how to clear it up… It said to use some hydroperoxide to clear it up and discontinue the Crest, and don't brush too hard. While I guess, I used too much peroxide because, now my tongue is all messed up; brown and hairy looking. Yes hairy looking. I looked that hairy condition up and it said too much peroxide. Going to dentist today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest?

Original review: April 19, 2018

I only used this Crest 3D White toothpaste product 3 times before I started having gum pain. This morning after using it for the third time my gums are really sore and it felt like I was jabbing my gums with a wire brush while I was brushing my teeth. All day long I am feeling sick!

Original review: April 14, 2018

After 2 weeks or so using it, my gums are red and sore and it feels like I burned the inside of my lips and gums. I am off it for 2 days and I am slowly feeling better. I'm throwing it in the trash. I have always had healthy gums but was using it for whitening.

Original review: April 4, 2018

I used it (Crest Pro Health Clinical Mouthwash) two days ago. I stopped today when I realized this stuff was the reason for two huge sores on my gums and my tongue feeling like the first layer of skin has been burned off. I'm contacting lawyers to feel if there's any traction to a class action suit. This product is causing thousands of dollars in physical and emotional damage.

Original review: March 30, 2018

Crest Pro-Health Clinical Oral Rinse - I used this product for the first time yesterday morning. I noticed a white foam covering the inside of my mouth, tongue, and cheeks. I assumed it was because this product contains peroxide and it was just cleaning everything thoroughly. I used it again last night. As I was swishing, I noticed a burning sensation on the inside of my cheeks. Once again, I just assumed that meant it was working and killing the bacteria. I continued swishing a few more seconds, the pain increased, and a stabbing sensation went through my jaw and into my ear. I spit the product out as fast as I could. I went to bed and woke up this morning with the side of my face swollen and tender. There is nothing going on inside of my mouth that I can see or feel, however my lymph nodes by my jaw bones on the right side of my face are very swollen. It is uncomfortable to turn my head, talk, etc. The pain radiates into my ear.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I’m so glad I found these reviews. I’ve been going crazy trying to figure out why my lips have turned almost black over the past two months. They have been so dry, and they feel like they are swelling at the same time. At times they go from being cracked and bleeding to feeling like they are smooth yet tough like leather. No amount of lip balm or almond oil has helped. My lips have always been a rosy pink until I started using this toothpaste. I truly hope that now that I’ve figured it out that they will turn back to the correct color.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I purchased Crest Pro Health Advanced "Extra Deep Clean" mouthwash and used it 2x a day. The second day I noticed that the tip of my tongue felt burned and my tastebuds were visible. At that point I had not realized that it was from the mouthwash. I continued use. The next day after using it again I noticed that my mouth tasted metallic and food tasted weird. Later on I noticed that I had an open sore above my gums that looked like a burn. It was extremely painful. I haven't eaten for two days and have been in bed rinsing my mouth with warm salt water every 20 minutes to soothe the discomfort and pain. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow to deal with all of this. Crest should have to pay for this, I am irate that something as simple as a mouthwash has destroyed my tastebuds, my tongue, my inner cheek and gum damage.

I have searched online and saw HUNDREDS of other consumers who had the same issue. I am disgusted that this product is still allowed on shelves. I typically use Listerine (my whole life) and never had this issue ever before. I purchased this on a whim as it was on sale at target, biggest mistake I've ever made. I dumped the remaining product down the drain so no one else would use it. I am so upset and hope someone reaches out to rectify this situation. I genuinely hope this does not happen to another person, this has been a nightmare. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I have been using the toothpaste and also the mouth cleaning fluoride. My gum is irritated, inflamed. Inside my cheeks my skin turned white. Finally I had also terrible stomach issues for almost 10 days and lost weight.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

Wish I had never started using Crest Pro Health Mouthwash. After about a week the tip of my tongue started burning and I have cracks and sores on my tongue. Never had anything like this happen before. It's so painful. Changed toothpaste and stopped the mouthwash but my tongue is not clearing up, any kind of toothpaste irritates my tongue, how can I heal these cracks and sores??!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I thought I was going nuts until I found this website. Crest Pro-Health toothpaste burned my mouth after using it for about two weeks. I went on vacation for a week shortly after buying it and used a different brand, and the symptoms pretty much went away. At that time I didn’t realize it was toothpaste causing my mouth to burn. I figured out it was the Crest toothpaste after returning home and using it again, making my symptoms come back even worse this time. My whole tongue is sore and raw, the inside of my cheeks and lips are covered in blisters and are shedding skin. It hurts to talk and eat anything solid.

I smell a lawsuit coming to Crest really soon considering the amount of people who have been harmed by their products with no warning labels or anything to signal consumers of a possible chemical burn in their mouths. Complete gross negligence on their part for continuing to have these products available to the public after the amount of complaints I’ve seen. It’s not even just the Pro-Health toothpaste, many people are experiencing the same reactions from a variety of their products, including mouthwash. Do not buy any Crest products.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Crest Prohealth Clinical Oral Rinse - I bought this mouthwash/oral rinse 2 days ago from CVS. The first time I used it there was a slight burn to my tongue and gums. I thought maybe that is how it is supposed to feel. I used it again for a second time that night, making sure I followed the directions exactly on the bottle. Slight burn again so I rinsed my mouth out with water. A few hours later I smoked a cigarette, well tried to... After 2 puffs my entire mouth was on fire. Today I have a large blister/raw gash on my front gums where the top fold from my lips meet the gums and a burnt tongue as if I drank scalding hot coffee. I would not recommend using this product at all and especially don't use it if you smoke cigarettes and I think possible burning should be listed on the label as a side effect.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I am a dental hygienist. By law every year I must take 30 hours of continuing education courses every 2 years to keep up to date with new research and technology. I recently attended a continuing education course that Crest sponsored. The course was on care for patients with cancer. Before the presenter spoke, a representative from Crest got up to promote Crest Pro-Health as a wonderful dentifrice (toothpaste) for oncology (cancer) patients.

During the presentation there was a slide in slideshow reading that toothpaste containing SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) should not be used by patients going through cancer treatment. After the talk I asked the presenter why the Crest rep would have suggested Crest Pro Health. The speaker said that the rep had told her not to educate us that Crest Pro Health contains sodium lauryl sulfate and was actually not a suitable dentifrice for these patients. As a healthcare provider I am disgusted in this money making business tactic. I will never recommend their product to my patients. How dare this company mis-educate a room full of health care providers and encourage us to wrongly use your product. I want to seek out someone with legal power to share my complaint with.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I used the Crest Pro Health Original Clean Mint toothpaste 3 times last week, Wednesday and twice Thursday. I noticed that the mint flavor was more intense than I normally experience from other toothpastes that I have used. By the 2nd and 3rd time that I used it, I felt like the mint was burning my mouth and lips. I tried to rinse my mouth out but couldn't get that overly intense mint taste out. My upper lip was quite a bit chapped and sore on Friday. I was reaching for a chapstick with no relief and my lips became redder and tiny blister formed all around the outside of my mouth, I had a big blister on the inside of my bottom lip, and my tongue was red and swollen. By Monday I went to the doctor and I am now taking steroids. It is starting to subside a little but it is still red in the area where the redness and dryness first started. I will not be using this product or any other Crest product in the future.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

If I could give no stars I would. Within days of using this Crest 3D Brilliance Toothpaste I have had a reaction of burning throat, tonsils, roof of mouth, metallic taste and itching ears. This is scary after reading all of these reviews. I have the tube of toothpaste that I will keep for further follow-up.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I opened a tube of this Crest Baking Soda & Peroxide Whitening toothpaste on Sunday morning and after 5 uses by Tuesday morning my gums were bleeding and I had a line of blisters on the inside of my bottom lip. I see many of the same complaints on here. Crest should be held responsible and at a minimum issue a recall so this pain and suffering does not happen to another 800 people.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I bought some yesterday (Crest Cinnamon toothpaste). Used it this morning. Within 5 seconds the skin all around my mouth turned red and started burning, my lips turned pure red. I rinsed and rinsed my mouth and face at least 50 times. It has been 5 hours and I still have the rash on my face. What could be in this toothpaste to cause this? I don't know.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I tried Crest Pro Health Mouthwash & it burnt my mouth. I couldn't eat or drink for several days. I checked on the web and found many complaints. My sister & her son had the same problem. Her doctor thought she had cancer of the mouth & tongue until they realized it was this product. I stopped using it and my mouth healed and then I used a tube of the Crest Pro Health Toothpaste and I immediately started having problems again. I have a health problem that can cause seizures when I dehydrate. Not being able to drink for three days was a serious health issue. They need to get the Pro Health Products off the shelf. I dumped the product down the drain and I don't have a receipt.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

A week or so after using the toothpaste I realized the correlation. I had heart palpitations, loss of breath, headaches, teeth/sinus pressure, lethargic (excessive at times) teeth aches/grinding and back pain. It was horrible and I'm hardly one to feel bad. It was with no doubt the toothpaste. I stopped using it and life went back to normal. This product should be removed from the shelves.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

I prefer Crest Toothpaste but the flip tops on their tubes do not stay closed. Very poor design. As a result, toothpaste oozes out and gets all over everything else. I have to keep the tube in a plastic bag but that is ridiculous. Do you sell toothpaste in a container that has the old fashioned screw on lid that does stay shut? I can get that in travel size but that is not very cost effective.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Crest Pro Health Mouthwash - I felt the need to create an account just to let people know that YOU SHOULD NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! Seriously. Why it continues to be on store shelves is beyond my comprehension. After only a single use of this product, I noticed a magnitude of problems. I brush my teeth and rinse my mouth every night before going to sleep, and after I had finished using it and spit it out I noticed that the burning sensation lingered for an unusually long time. It lasted until I fell asleep, essentially.

The morning when I woke up, I immediately felt that the inside of my mouth was in excruciating pain. I looked at the mirror and into my mouth and saw at least 5 different cold sores covering the inside of my mouth and lips. There were even 2 on the edges of my tongue and 1 underneath! I can barely move my tongue without feeling like I'm eating razor blades. I also noticed later in the day that there was this weird film like substance in my mouth. It turns out that this was dead skin that the mouthwash burned off the bottom of my lip. This is absurd. It has been 4 days since I used the mouthwash, and I am still in great pain. This is DEFINITELY not something that should be sold in stores to the public.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I switched toothpastes and began using Crest 3D White and got a mouth ulcer. I figured if I brushed extra it would help it go away so I began brushing three times a day! I started to get worried when about eight ulcers popped up and two began to merge and form a large cavity behind my back tooth. The pain was so intense I went to an emergency care center and was given an antibiotic and numbing medicine. To my surprise the doctor asked me if I recently switched tooth paste and when I said yes he was not surprised! I've gone back to the previous brand and all my mouth issues are gone. I'll never buy Crest for me or my family again! With the cost of the clinic added in this was the most expensive toothpaste switch ever.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I began using 3D white toothpaste and Mouthwash as I thought I would treat myself to whiter teeth! I need this to look great in my business and thought brushing daily will help keep my teeth whiter in between the expensive treatments. At first, it made my teeth really white and I should of only used once a week and only one time. No I brushed three times a day. My mouth became sensitive, sores like herpes that I never had before and metallic taste in my mouth. I went on a long trip for two plus weeks and took my other tooth paste. No problems in my mouth! Pain and irritation went away. My enamel on my teeth became less sensitive. All was great!

I came home and began using this 3D stuff again. OH my, I had Fever blisters in my mouth, tongue, inside cheeks, headaches, metallic taste, tooth sensitivity and I was physically sick! I went up to internet to see what the heck! I traced it to Medication... I figured the only New thing I introduced into my body was this horrible 3D white stuff. I quit then! I brushed with Sensodyne tooth paste. Rinsed with Crest sensitive mouthwash the dentist gave me and in minutes the sores were gone! Two days later my teeth are still sensitive and the metallic taste is there and headache but slowly going away. I have been poisoned! This should only be used sparingly with warning as any dental whitener in trays. Not daily! Lot number # 704416 expja19. I cannot find the lot number on the 3D mouth wash. Just says 90901942.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Please do NOT buy this product. I don't know what they were thinking putting this stuff on the shelf. After one use of this product you will notice the skin in your cheeks peeling off. It's actually really disgusting. Toothpaste should not do that, you'll notice a really odd film coming off of your lips and cheeks thinking it's the film the toothpaste left behind, but really it's your own skin dying and peeling off. I passed this mild side effect off as harmless, until about 1.5 weeks into using the toothpaste, I started noticing that brushing my teeth was becoming very painful. It felt like my gum line was receding.

A day later I started getting cuts in my mouth, and my tongue feeling sensitive like I just burned it after eating really hot soup. I also had sores on my inner lips possibly from the product thinning out the skin inside my mouth. I truly dreaded brushing my teeth every morning and night, to the point that I would only brush for 10 seconds just to get it done and over with. At first I thought my toothbrush was getting old, and it was time to get a new one. Well I did and lo and behold my gums, lips, and tongue were still hurting whenever I would brush. This went on for another week.

I finally decided to go back to Colgate. About 4 days later I noticed there was less and less pain than when I was brushing with Crest. I'm about 2 weeks in from switching, and the pain is almost gone. This review along with the others should be proof that this product is NOT safe. I have no idea how it passed the FDA. This product is rubbish, and I'm very glad I found these reviews to confirm that.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Wow, so glad that I found this site. Could not figure out what happened!!! Only used this mouthwash twice and my gums are full of blisters. I just went and bought Xyli-White mouthwash from NOW at the health food store and finally got some relief from the pain. I also bought some probiotic powder, **, and a b-complex vitamin to offset these blisters. I had no idea until I came to this page what happened. Why is this on the shelf??? You can find the Xyli-White mouthwash on Amazon. I just went and looked. It is the only thing that has given me any relief. Good luck and God Bless!! Sheesh!

Original review: June 23, 2017

I started using this toothpaste (Crest Pro Health) a couple of days ago and now both my husband and I have blisters all over our mouths. My lips are swollen and my gums are inflamed. This has never happened before with any other toothpaste. They need to remove this from store shelves immediately before more people have to suffer. I honestly thought that I had contracted Herpangina, that's how much these blisters hurt. Even the skin inside my mouth is peeling off. It's absolutely disgusting.

Original review: June 19, 2017

After using Crest 3D White for 3 days, my mouth is on fire. I just figured out that it was the toothpaste as I started to brush, I could stand the burning. Anything other than water causes my mouth to burn all the way down my throat. I have sores on my lips and tongue. This stuff is poison.

Crest Toothpaste Company Information

Crest
crest.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business