1.02/5

876 Crest Toothpaste Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2019

Okay I am a college student who was in search of a good Toothpaste. So I tried Crest Pro Health hearing a lot of good things about the toothpaste when about 5 months into using the toothpaste I noticed some odd staining on my teeth. I dug into a little background why people don't use Crest Pro Health and it TURNED OUT THAT THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT CAUSES STAINS. WTF. Crest should count their blessings. It's just a small streak of my teeth that got stained by their crappy product. I wish I could give them negative stars. Stay away. Never touch. It's all advertisement. There are non ADA approved toothpastes better than Crest Pro Health.

As a side note I did notice that Crest Pro Health also had some nasty side affects.
~Burning sensation with spicy food.
~Weird post brushing sensations that were NOT PLEASURABLE AT ALL.
~Has a weird consistency.
~Crest Pro health is VERY TEMP. Sensitive.
~Strange overly sweet flavor

~Tasted way too good to be true.

TLDR: This tooth Paste by Crest Pro Health feels like one enormous scam. "Says Stainous Flouride whitens, when really it stains." WTF Please to anyone stay away.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Never Again... Detoxify Toothpaste. I have been using this product for over a month and started noticing the roof of my mouth was almost raw. I couldn't understand nor did I put two and two together. Thinking the worst, I thought I had mouth cancer! I never experienced such pain. It was difficult to eat and I was losing weight because of this. In the middle of the night, I started to think about what I was doing differently. What was I doing that had changed... then I figured out, this all started when I started using this toothpaste. I did my own experiment and stopped using it for a week. Guess what? My mouth is pain-free!!! Take this product off the market!!

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I bought Crest gum detoxifying toothpaste and after a week or two my soft palate started getting very sore and I thought I had an infection. Than it went to my whole mouth being sore. Teeth and gums. Tongue was fine though. I assumed the worst because that’s just me. I was on the internet all week researching what would cause this pain( having no insurance) and decided to just deal with it. I took ** and NSAIDS and used **. I kept brushing and flossing (which was extremely painful) and than bought listener as well as this mouth pain relief wash. Finally after about a week to two weeks the pain diminished and I’m now stuck wondering is this toothpaste just completely horrible or was it just all the bacteria coming to the surface and my mouths healthier for it? I don’t know but I won’t be buying it again until I get insurance and talk with a dentist about the ingredients and my experience.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My dentist offered coupons for this product and I bought several tubes. Initially I thought the product helped as it did seem to neutralize and made teeth seem cleaner. After a few weeks I developed extreme gum and tooth pain. Could hardly chew food. Whole mouth was throbbing and I had difficulty sleeping. I didn't immediately attribute it to the toothpaste until things continued to worsen and I thought to google this product. On the Crest site all reviews were glowing. Thankfully I found this site, realized the toothpaste could be the source of the pain and stopped using the product. After a few days the throbbing has finally lessened and I am gaining some comfort in my mouth. I can only hope there is not permanent damage to my gums. The company needs to be made to pull this product.

Original review: April 23, 2019

On March 28, 2019, my dental hygienist gave me a sample tube of Crest Gum Detoxify toothpaste to try. I used it twice a day for about three days. It seemed to irritate my gums so I reduced using this product to just once a day for a couple more days. My gums and tongue became so inflamed and sore that I stopped using it altogether. Blisters appeared along the sides of my tongue. It felt like the inside of my mouth had suffered a severe burn. My gums and tongue were so sore that I could not eat solid food for over a week and had difficulty sleeping because of the pain. In addition, my lower lip became very dry and cracked as if it was sunburned.

I ended up in the Dentistry department of my local hospital where I was prescribed a special oral rinse ($60) to use three times a day for two weeks. Although the inflammation of my gums and tongue has subsided, the inside corners of my mouth are still sore and my lower lip is still raw and chapped. This is 3 weeks after I stopped using this product. While this toothpaste may be fine for some consumers, it has certainly caused me considerable pain and discomfort.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest?

Original review: April 22, 2019

For the past 5 weeks, after starting this toothpaste, I have had tender, swollen tongue with small sores, peeling inner lips, cracking, red painful hard palate, sore throat, constant slimy feeling of inner lips with tenderness and swelling, extremely dry mouth during the night, and what feels like a yeast infection of my tongue. I have never had anything like this, and was told by my sister last evening that she had similar symptoms after starting Crest products. Why are these products still on the market? This must stop. Why has there not been a class action lawsuit?

Original review: April 21, 2019

After the first day of using Crest Detoxify toothpaste I woke up to my tongue being burnt, sores on my tongue and my gums and my throat being sore. I can't drink anything without a straw or it hurts my mouth. Everything that I eat or drink doesn't seem to have a flavor or it's too sweet. We really need to get together as a group and sue this company.

Original review: April 19, 2019

First, thank you for this forum and thanks to all those who have taken the time to write about their experiences. I’ve only used Crest Pro Health Advanced Mouthwash for a couple of weeks at night only. Right off there was gum and tongue soreness. But the worst is how it affected my sense of taste. My morning coffee was just awful and it didn’t get better as the day progressed. Fortunately, everything was back to normal after skipping one night. I know we are supposed to kill all the bacteria in our mouths after brushing, but I’m not so sure the trade off is worth it. I will see my dentist and inquire about another, safer brand.

Original review: April 15, 2019

After using Crest 3D White toothpaste for the past few days, I noticed my mouth and tongue were getting sores and my gums have become increasingly raw and sore. It's the middle of the night and I'm in pain. A lot of pain. I thought back to the last time I felt this type of pain and it was when I used Crest whitening strips a while back (which I quit using). I will never use Crest products again and have thrown every Crest item in my house out. I only hope this heals soon as I am miserable.

Original review: April 14, 2019

It never occurred to me that the mouthwash that I was using was causing craters on my palate and blistered gums. Because I was in pain I actually doubled down on the mouthwash. After all there was no alcohol in the product so it couldn’t be that strong! I thought I had a vitamin deficiency so I went to the doctor and had multiple rounds of blood drawn. It wasn’t until I looked online that I realized that mouthwash could be responsible for this horrific pain. I did oil pulling with coconut oil and after one day it was 80% better. There should be a large warning posted on the bottle warning that an allergic reaction and/or reaction with toothpaste is possible. Shame on the company. The pain I experienced was terrible.

Original review: April 6, 2019

Somebody help me. I watched the Commercials on Crest Detoxify and Gum Enamel Repair. I went and Finally purchased both products. The other day my back Molar CRACKED!! Last Night a bottom tooth out of blue CRACKED!!! I am in no way can afford to go to Dentist. The only change is Using Crest Detoxify and Gum Enamel Repair. This is awful to me. Is anyone Experience breaking teeth from using these products???? HELP. MY TEETH ARE BREAKING NOW.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I started using Crest Pro Health about two weeks ago. I noticed odd feeling about three days in not being able to taste foods. I assumed it’s working protecting my teeth/gums. By the second week I start having pain/burning while swishing but not alarming thought well LISTERINE burns more but also thinking this is alcohol free. Anyhow I wake up in the middle of the night and my tongue is swollen and under my tongue is swollen. I can’t talk clearly. I go to urgent care. He thinks it’s a Chemical burn but it mimics salivary gland being blocked because how much pain I was in and how swollen my gland was. I also have skin ulcers on my gums which bleeds upon brushing or wiping or touching with my tongue. I’m being sent to ent on Monday. Instinct was screaming at me many times. Allergic reaction chemical burn... dry tongue/dry mouth that produced the saliva gland blockage. Stop using Crest products! I have pictures if anyone care to see.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I sometimes have trouble getting all the areas on my gums, especially on the top corners. Noticed a few red spots and heard about this product and thought it may be helpful. First time I used it, I could feel the foaminess and figured that meant it working. By the next day already, noticing this weird taste in my mouth and especially on my tongue. Didn't know what was going on, but didn't think of it maybe being the toothpaste. Was a few days later (after I had used it about 6 times) I found all of the negative reviews. Immediately stopped using it, but still feeling the effects for days after. Finally, have resorted to using ice cubes on tongue and it has provided some relief. Is like it burned my tongue. It may work for some, but not for me.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I used Crest Pro-Health mouthwash. I gargled it after brushing with Colgate toothpaste. After spitting it out almost immediately my tongue and the inside of my cheeks became super red and swollen, with blisters and ulcers forming under the tongue. It hurts even to speak. I cannot eat and drink for more than 2 days. I thought it was the Colgate toothpaste, but after doing a little reading I came across this dentist online and they explained that is has something to do with the anionic compound sodium lauryl sulfate (found in Colgate toothpaste) and the cationic compound cetyl pyridinium chloride (found in Crest Pro Health) neutralizing each other which results in the dryness and stinginess. I vow to never use this again.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I bought this product for the first time less than a week ago. I used it twice a day for 3 days in a row. Yesterday, I had noticed some mouth sores (which I do not get often). Last night, I had noticed white patches on both sides of my tongue and covering the entire area underneath my tongue, along with little clusters of sores. Today, my whole mouth is in pain and I’ve never experienced something like this in my life. I’m sure this is a great product that works for some people, but it did not agree with me.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I started using Crest gum detoxify about a month ago. A couple days in my gums on one side swelled and had little white blisters and was painful. I thought maybe I had just brushed too hard and irritated it. It resolved itself after a couple days. I sort of thought the toothpaste had something to do with it but I thought I’ll keep using it since it went away eventually. Fast forward to now, my gums are experiencing the same thing in another area only it feels much worse! I had to google if this was happening to anyone else and sure enough I found these reviews! I feel better knowing that I’m not alone and that if I quit using it the pain and blisters should stop. At the same time I’m terrified because the pain is so bad I can’t sleep! I wish I read the reviews on this product before I used it! Please STAY AWAY FROM IT! I agree with the other comment, they should be sued!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I used this 2x a day for about a month and got a sore on my tongue. A few days later my tongue felt burnt and lost my tastes. The next day I got paraesthesia where my face was numb and tingling. I went to the ER they did CT scan and MRI, and all normal. The doctor said the sore on the tongue caused a viral infection which gave me Bell’s palsy so nerve inflammation and half my face is droopy and it’s hard to eat or drink without a straw. He gave me a steroid to take for 10 days to try and reduce the inflammation. And said to rest no stress and try to stay healthy lifestyle. I stopped the Crest and my tongue is regaining its feeling. I’ve read where Crest can cause canker sores and lead to paraesthesia and it happened to me.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I had a root canal and my dentist said it is better to rinse my mouth since I only have a temporary filling for a week. I don't use mouthwash in general. I gargled with Crest mouthwash and woke up with very severe sore throat next morning. Cannot even swallow anything.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I have used this product at 2 different times with the same result - severe tooth pain and mouth sores. After about 4 days of twice per day brushing I developed the pain and sores. Once I I stopped using the product, it took about 2 days for the pain to stop and sores heal. I have tossed out my tubes and switched to a different product. The pain was awful - I thought I was going to have to go to urgent care for pain meds.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

This has got to be the most terrible toothpaste that I have ever used. Just 2 days into using it my mouth, mostly my tongue became really sore. I feel like I have burned my entire tongue with boiling water. There are white sores everywhere. I see that this happens a lot to others as well. Make sure you do some research before buying a new toothpaste. This one is terrible. Back to Colgate I go. They should be sued.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I bought this product a couple of weeks back and after using it for a few days I noticed my teeth started to become more sensitive, my mouth felt dry and burned, while there was a constant chemical taste in my mouth. The pain progressed to the point that even breathing in cold air was excruciating. When I looked at my gums I also noticed they had receded to points they hadn't been before use. I recalled as I sat there, miserable, grumpy, and freaking out about my gums, that this all started when I switched product. I also recalled I had tried a Crest mouthwash years ago and had stopped using it because of similar effects and once I stopped using it, my mouth went back to normal. So, I've gone back to my old product and after one day I am already feeling better. This stuff is straight poison.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have used this product three times and my teeth are extremely sensitive and my gums hurt. I have never had a product do this to my teeth and gums. This product is horrible! I would not recommend this product to anyone! I will be going back to my old toothpaste that I've used for years. As far as my mouthwash I'll be throwing Crest away and going back to Listerine. That never gave me any problems. I wish I would have read these reviews before I use the product. It would have saved me a lot of pain.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I started using Crest 3-D whitening toothpaste a few months ago, and I started noticing, that at night my mouth would become so dry, I would have to keep a glass of water by my bed, to rinse my mouth... So I thought why all of a sudden this has started, so I stop using it, and within a day, my mouth got back to normal... I was talking to a friend this morning, and was telling him, and he said, "It's strange you say this, because I have have to keep a bottle of water by my bed, because my mouth gets so dry..."

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I started using Crest 3D Whitening about a year ago. At first I thought it was working for me. Over time my teeth had became so sensitive. I couldn't stand to drink or eat anything hot or cold. I went to the dentist and I was told to use it only a few days a week not daily. I tried that. Then I noticed my throat had started to become itchy and sore. It had become unbearable so I stopped using it. I haven't had the sore throat in a few days. My husband had been using the same product. He's been using it for about 3 months. He's currently experiencing mouth sores and a sore throat daily. He thinking that it's an infection or something. I told him to stop using the product. He didn't think it could be the toothpaste because Crest has been on the market for years. We'll see how he feels after a week.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My children and I began using Crest Brilliance mouthwash in mid-July of this year. Our tongues all became incredibly painful and the sublingual area (underneath) swelled and was excruciating. We stopped using it, but it was too late. We developed mucocele and lesions, bizarre growths. I lost my sense of taste, we all developed painful white and red lines inside our cheeks and lips, jaw swelling and pain, our palates turned yellow and the inside of our mouths became covered in broken blood vessels. We became seriously ill - we were seen in the e.r. multiple times, medics have been to the house twice for me. We have seen 4 different specialists. My family thought I was going to die.

I am 36 years old. I do not have insurance. It is now the end of December, almost Christmas. I have been referred to immunology based on my labwork and the timeline of events. My children fared better than I did, as they did not use the product as often or as long as I did, but it has been horrific knowing what kind of pain they have gone through and being powerless to stop it. I am now $30000 in debt. I lost my job. My body is very weak. Prior to this, I was an exceptionally healthy and active person. I loved my life. The pain that I have experienced since I used this product caused me to seriously consider taking my own life at many points. Please for the love of God someone make them remove this product before it destroys another family. It is extremely dangerous. I need a lawyer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I’ve been using Crest for a long time and I have never had an experience like this. I was brushing my teeth like usual and when I rinsed my mouth I immediately noticed redness and swelling around my lips and mouth. This is my chin now two days after. I have scabbing and swelling. I wonder why Crest hasn’t pulled the products. It’s obvious something is going on!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I started using Crest detoxify toothpaste a few days ago. Last night out of nowhere, I was drinking blood. Scared me because there was no reason for it and it has never happened before. This morning I brushed my teeth and my mouth bleed like crazy. Tonight I brushed my teeth and my mouth blood like crazy. I now believe it has to do with the Crest Detoxify. I will no longer use it and I'm sure the problem will go away.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I started using Crest Cinnamon about a month ago. I only used it on occasion. I never put two and two together until recently. A few times after I washed my face and brushed my teeth I would notice a severe swelling around my mouth and lips. I excused it thinking it was my facecloth being too rough or something. This happened a few times. The other day, I used the toothpaste and when I finished rinsing my mouth I looked in the mirror and instantly my entire mouth started to swell. My chin and lips started to get bright red and burn like a bee sting. I still wasn't sure it was the toothpaste because I used it before and thought it was just strong in the cinnamon. Last night I took the toothpaste and was again about to use it, but instead... I took a dime size amount out and put it on the top of my hand. Waited literally 4 seconds and rinsed it off.

Within seconds my hand started to swell and get warm to HOT. It lasted and got worse for about 1 hr. I have to say, I volunteer at the local animal shelter and we have to use straight bleach when we clean. I NEVER have had a reaction to any cleanser or detergent like this toothpaste. The scariest part, is that it is going in my mouth. Remembering the one time I used it, I thought I was having an allergic reaction to food, because I felt close to anaphylaxis! I have now determined it is this toothpaste! I will NEVER use a Crest product again. This is truly the scariest thing to think that some chemical in their toothpaste is doing this to me. If it had that reaction on my skin of my hand, what if it got accidentally in my eye or?? Please be aware of this reaction and do not use this toothpaste.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Updated on 11/28/2018: Since I stopped using the Gum Detoxify toothpaste and Crest Pro Health Advanced Mouthwash all of the pain and dental issues have completely stopped. The jaw pain was completely gone 3 days after I stopped using the products. I switched to Tom’s toothpaste with Fluoride and Tom’s Wicked Fresh Mouthwash. I am 100% certain that this was the cause of my dental issues.

Original Review: I’m sitting here at 4 am writing this review; because, I can’t sleep due to severe mouth pain. I suspect that the Crest Gum Detoxify toothpaste is the cause. My wife gave me the product about a month ago. That was about the time of my last dentist appointment. I started noticing some minor mouth pain about a week ago. It kept getting worse. I figured I was just grinding my teeth, but I have been wearing a mouth guard. Tonight I flossed then I rinsed with Crest 3D advanced mouthwash. Then I brushed my teeth. The toothpaste felt very different, I double checked to make sure I hadn’t put the wrong cream on the brush. The severe pain started about 15 minutes later. It feels like my gums and jaw are throbbing. Almost like a toothache, but there is no sensitivity from rinsing with cold water. My upper gums feel like they are on fire. I’m going to stop using the toothpaste and mouthwash to see if it clears up.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased this item 2 weeks ago, and it literally burned the inside and the outside of my mouth so severely, that I now have to see my dermatologist today. I was unable to eat or drink without a straw this past weekend due to the scabbing/bleeding/peeling/stinging on my lips, plus the sores on the inside of my mouth. I’ve never experienced such a reaction to a product in my life! I emailed Crest.com...but they never responded.

Crest Toothpaste Company Information