2. Shopping

Crest Toothpaste

3.7/5 (200 ratings)

About Crest Toothpaste

Crest Toothpaste Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest Toothpaste?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest?

Original review: March 17, 2019

I used Crest Pro-Health mouthwash. I gargled it after brushing with Colgate toothpaste. After spitting it out almost immediately my tongue and the inside of my cheeks became super red and swollen, with blisters and ulcers forming under the tongue. It hurts even to speak. I cannot eat and drink for more than 2 days. I thought it was the Colgate toothpaste, but after doing a little reading I came across this dentist online and they explained that is has something to do with the anionic compound sodium lauryl sulfate (found in Colgate toothpaste) and the cationic compound cetyl pyridinium chloride (found in Crest Pro Health) neutralizing each other which results in the dryness and stinginess. I vow to never use this again.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I bought this product for the first time less than a week ago. I used it twice a day for 3 days in a row. Yesterday, I had noticed some mouth sores (which I do not get often). Last night, I had noticed white patches on both sides of my tongue and covering the entire area underneath my tongue, along with little clusters of sores. Today, my whole mouth is in pain and I’ve never experienced something like this in my life. I’m sure this is a great product that works for some people, but it did not agree with me.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I started using Crest gum detoxify about a month ago. A couple days in my gums on one side swelled and had little white blisters and was painful. I thought maybe I had just brushed too hard and irritated it. It resolved itself after a couple days. I sort of thought the toothpaste had something to do with it but I thought I’ll keep using it since it went away eventually. Fast forward to now, my gums are experiencing the same thing in another area only it feels much worse! I had to google if this was happening to anyone else and sure enough I found these reviews! I feel better knowing that I’m not alone and that if I quit using it the pain and blisters should stop. At the same time I’m terrified because the pain is so bad I can’t sleep! I wish I read the reviews on this product before I used it! Please STAY AWAY FROM IT! I agree with the other comment, they should be sued!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I used this 2x a day for about a month and got a sore on my tongue. A few days later my tongue felt burnt and lost my tastes. The next day I got paraesthesia where my face was numb and tingling. I went to the ER they did CT scan and MRI, and all normal. The doctor said the sore on the tongue caused a viral infection which gave me Bell’s palsy so nerve inflammation and half my face is droopy and it’s hard to eat or drink without a straw. He gave me a steroid to take for 10 days to try and reduce the inflammation. And said to rest no stress and try to stay healthy lifestyle. I stopped the Crest and my tongue is regaining its feeling. I’ve read where Crest can cause canker sores and lead to paraesthesia and it happened to me.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I had a root canal and my dentist said it is better to rinse my mouth since I only have a temporary filling for a week. I don't use mouthwash in general. I gargled with Crest mouthwash and woke up with very severe sore throat next morning. Cannot even swallow anything.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I have used this product at 2 different times with the same result - severe tooth pain and mouth sores. After about 4 days of twice per day brushing I developed the pain and sores. Once I I stopped using the product, it took about 2 days for the pain to stop and sores heal. I have tossed out my tubes and switched to a different product. The pain was awful - I thought I was going to have to go to urgent care for pain meds.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

This has got to be the most terrible toothpaste that I have ever used. Just 2 days into using it my mouth, mostly my tongue became really sore. I feel like I have burned my entire tongue with boiling water. There are white sores everywhere. I see that this happens a lot to others as well. Make sure you do some research before buying a new toothpaste. This one is terrible. Back to Colgate I go. They should be sued.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I bought this product a couple of weeks back and after using it for a few days I noticed my teeth started to become more sensitive, my mouth felt dry and burned, while there was a constant chemical taste in my mouth. The pain progressed to the point that even breathing in cold air was excruciating. When I looked at my gums I also noticed they had receded to points they hadn't been before use. I recalled as I sat there, miserable, grumpy, and freaking out about my gums, that this all started when I switched product. I also recalled I had tried a Crest mouthwash years ago and had stopped using it because of similar effects and once I stopped using it, my mouth went back to normal. So, I've gone back to my old product and after one day I am already feeling better. This stuff is straight poison.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I have used this product three times and my teeth are extremely sensitive and my gums hurt. I have never had a product do this to my teeth and gums. This product is horrible! I would not recommend this product to anyone! I will be going back to my old toothpaste that I've used for years. As far as my mouthwash I'll be throwing Crest away and going back to Listerine. That never gave me any problems. I wish I would have read these reviews before I use the product. It would have saved me a lot of pain.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I started using Crest 3-D whitening toothpaste a few months ago, and I started noticing, that at night my mouth would become so dry, I would have to keep a glass of water by my bed, to rinse my mouth... So I thought why all of a sudden this has started, so I stop using it, and within a day, my mouth got back to normal... I was talking to a friend this morning, and was telling him, and he said, "It's strange you say this, because I have have to keep a bottle of water by my bed, because my mouth gets so dry..."

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I started using Crest 3D Whitening about a year ago. At first I thought it was working for me. Over time my teeth had became so sensitive. I couldn't stand to drink or eat anything hot or cold. I went to the dentist and I was told to use it only a few days a week not daily. I tried that. Then I noticed my throat had started to become itchy and sore. It had become unbearable so I stopped using it. I haven't had the sore throat in a few days. My husband had been using the same product. He's been using it for about 3 months. He's currently experiencing mouth sores and a sore throat daily. He thinking that it's an infection or something. I told him to stop using the product. He didn't think it could be the toothpaste because Crest has been on the market for years. We'll see how he feels after a week.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My children and I began using Crest Brilliance mouthwash in mid-July of this year. Our tongues all became incredibly painful and the sublingual area (underneath) swelled and was excruciating. We stopped using it, but it was too late. We developed mucocele and lesions, bizarre growths. I lost my sense of taste, we all developed painful white and red lines inside our cheeks and lips, jaw swelling and pain, our palates turned yellow and the inside of our mouths became covered in broken blood vessels. We became seriously ill - we were seen in the e.r. multiple times, medics have been to the house twice for me. We have seen 4 different specialists. My family thought I was going to die.

I am 36 years old. I do not have insurance. It is now the end of December, almost Christmas. I have been referred to immunology based on my labwork and the timeline of events. My children fared better than I did, as they did not use the product as often or as long as I did, but it has been horrific knowing what kind of pain they have gone through and being powerless to stop it. I am now $30000 in debt. I lost my job. My body is very weak. Prior to this, I was an exceptionally healthy and active person. I loved my life. The pain that I have experienced since I used this product caused me to seriously consider taking my own life at many points. Please for the love of God someone make them remove this product before it destroys another family. It is extremely dangerous. I need a lawyer.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I’ve been using Crest for a long time and I have never had an experience like this. I was brushing my teeth like usual and when I rinsed my mouth I immediately noticed redness and swelling around my lips and mouth. This is my chin now two days after. I have scabbing and swelling. I wonder why Crest hasn’t pulled the products. It’s obvious something is going on!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I started using Crest detoxify toothpaste a few days ago. Last night out of nowhere, I was drinking blood. Scared me because there was no reason for it and it has never happened before. This morning I brushed my teeth and my mouth bleed like crazy. Tonight I brushed my teeth and my mouth blood like crazy. I now believe it has to do with the Crest Detoxify. I will no longer use it and I'm sure the problem will go away.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I started using Crest Cinnamon about a month ago. I only used it on occasion. I never put two and two together until recently. A few times after I washed my face and brushed my teeth I would notice a severe swelling around my mouth and lips. I excused it thinking it was my facecloth being too rough or something. This happened a few times. The other day, I used the toothpaste and when I finished rinsing my mouth I looked in the mirror and instantly my entire mouth started to swell. My chin and lips started to get bright red and burn like a bee sting. I still wasn't sure it was the toothpaste because I used it before and thought it was just strong in the cinnamon. Last night I took the toothpaste and was again about to use it, but instead... I took a dime size amount out and put it on the top of my hand. Waited literally 4 seconds and rinsed it off.

Within seconds my hand started to swell and get warm to HOT. It lasted and got worse for about 1 hr. I have to say, I volunteer at the local animal shelter and we have to use straight bleach when we clean. I NEVER have had a reaction to any cleanser or detergent like this toothpaste. The scariest part, is that it is going in my mouth. Remembering the one time I used it, I thought I was having an allergic reaction to food, because I felt close to anaphylaxis! I have now determined it is this toothpaste! I will NEVER use a Crest product again. This is truly the scariest thing to think that some chemical in their toothpaste is doing this to me. If it had that reaction on my skin of my hand, what if it got accidentally in my eye or?? Please be aware of this reaction and do not use this toothpaste.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Updated on 11/28/2018: Since I stopped using the Gum Detoxify toothpaste and Crest Pro Health Advanced Mouthwash all of the pain and dental issues have completely stopped. The jaw pain was completely gone 3 days after I stopped using the products. I switched to Tom’s toothpaste with Fluoride and Tom’s Wicked Fresh Mouthwash. I am 100% certain that this was the cause of my dental issues.

Original Review: I’m sitting here at 4 am writing this review; because, I can’t sleep due to severe mouth pain. I suspect that the Crest Gum Detoxify toothpaste is the cause. My wife gave me the product about a month ago. That was about the time of my last dentist appointment. I started noticing some minor mouth pain about a week ago. It kept getting worse. I figured I was just grinding my teeth, but I have been wearing a mouth guard. Tonight I flossed then I rinsed with Crest 3D advanced mouthwash. Then I brushed my teeth. The toothpaste felt very different, I double checked to make sure I hadn’t put the wrong cream on the brush. The severe pain started about 15 minutes later. It feels like my gums and jaw are throbbing. Almost like a toothache, but there is no sensitivity from rinsing with cold water. My upper gums feel like they are on fire. I’m going to stop using the toothpaste and mouthwash to see if it clears up.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I purchased this item 2 weeks ago, and it literally burned the inside and the outside of my mouth so severely, that I now have to see my dermatologist today. I was unable to eat or drink without a straw this past weekend due to the scabbing/bleeding/peeling/stinging on my lips, plus the sores on the inside of my mouth. I’ve never experienced such a reaction to a product in my life! I emailed Crest.com...but they never responded.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Share your experience with me! I similarly had a bad experience with Crest Pro-Health! The toothpaste caused the skin inside my mouth to peel off and my lips are still suffering! Would anyone want to help me figure out what is causing this to happen? Please email me at **. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I had to have a tooth pulled in early June due to grinding that had worn a hole clear through a tooth. Although the dentist said that my gums and the other teeth were in good shape, I have no insurance and cannot afford cleanings twice a year. So, he recommended that I begin using Crest Gum and Enamel Repair. For the first few weeks, it seemed fine. Then my gums started to swell. My mouth was so sore, I seriously thought I had a gum infection. The skin began to peel away from the gums around my teeth. I had white ulcers on the inside of my cheeks and on the gums.

I called the dentist for an appointment and told them what was going on. The receptionist said she would make it for a few weeks out but in the meantime, to stop using the Crest Gum & Enamel Repair and see if it didn't clear up. Sure enough, it did and I canceled the appointment. Apparently, it was a reaction to the stannous fluoride in the toothpaste. Now, I just use baking soda. Yes, it tastes nasty but it does the job of removing the plaque without risking damage to my gums. Crest should really put a warning on this stuff about how powerful it is. It might be great for somebody with a lot of plaque build up but for somebody with no dental problems, it can really do some damage. Never again!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have had this toothpaste a number of months (Crest 3D White), and didn't have very many negatives except it tasted really chemically (most toothpastes do). Around the 5th or 6th month I started to use this twice a day, instead of just once a day. That is when I started to notice that my tongue was getting a strange numbing/tingling sensation. I went to the doctors and they ran a full neuro suite on me (testing for signs of MS, ALS, Parkinson's etc), and any sign of inflammation in the oro-esophageal area.

They noted that I seemed to have a acute case of gingivitis plus irritated peritonsillar area and prescribed a mouthwash (of which made things worse. It was ** I believe). I eventually started to feel like I was losing my mind, and started scouring the web for answers. I looked at everything from black mold to reflux (of which your doctor will HAPPILY prescribe PPIs for btw). I personally believe reflux is the most overdiagnosed disease at this point. Google anything about the topic of burning mouth and you are sure to find nothing about TOOTHPASTE, except, well here. I was starting to feel like there was a conspiracy about it.

All that aside, I found that if I did not use my toothpaste, the burning feeling subsided, and the numbing in my tongue seems to stay a little. It seems that there is some longer term damage from it that affects the tongue (a very sensitive bit of tissue), and this is likely because the taste buds are destroyed from the various caustic ingredients in the toothpaste. I have read other reviews that say some paraesthesia even after a month or so seems to go on. I think this might be because of the damage needing repair and all that. It is possible that some of the damage is permanent. There is really no way to tell.

I forgot to mention that aside from the burning and gingivitis, my gums began to recede... Anyways, this stuff is toxic, DO NOT USE IT, PERIOD. Why it is on the shelves is beyond me. It contains sodium hydroxide (lye), which is used to clean pipes. WHY is this in a toothpaste you ask? The claim is that it neutralizes the acids in the toothpaste, but if that is the case, why add the acids to begin with? Again, my mind keeps going into paranoia of a conspiracy on the level of the flouride crisis here in the USA.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

After 3 or 4 days that I had started using Crest Gum Detoxify and Crest Gum Care Oral Rinse I developed the worst pain along my gums that progressed to my whole mouth, my jaw, my tongue, and my throat. I was in so much pain I made an appointment with my dentist who took x-rays but couldn't find anything. Usually with a toothache you have clues that you have a problem, but this just developed overnight. I didn't even think to let him know I had started using these products. I missed 2 1/2 days of work. I was in so much pain. Since I stopped using the products the pain has pretty much gone away. I called Crest and I'm getting a refund.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have had the worst experience with this toothpaste. Burning mouth, peeling jaws, irritated tongue. You would think a toothpaste would have a person running back & fourth to the dentist thinking they are about to lose their mind. Prescriptions the dentist are not helping. Why? Because it's the toothpaste you are using. My God. Dentist getting richer & my mouth is still in pain.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I brought this crest 3D whitener and it did make my teeth white and I are very pleased with the whitening. Then I start experiencing burning of the tongue, Blackness of the tongue, sore throat. You know I'm trying to figure out what is this, I even went to the doctor. He gave me some fungus medicine. I took the fungus medicine. Nothing happen. The Blackness still on my tongue, then I got concerned and scared because I never experienced nothing like this before and I'm always in the dentist office. I brush, I floss, I do all the right things but I was trying to figure out why is my tongue feeling numb. Why is it burning? My taste bud is gone. So reading all the reviews I realized it's Crest toothpaste and the mouthwash. Never again will I use it again. As of today 9/22/18 I'm putting it in the trash and I'm going back to Colgate.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

So 2 days ago I bought Crest Toothpaste Detoxify and Crest Clinical Mouthwash and I noticed today when I woke up that there was a lot of pain in my mouth from my gums and tongue. There are these white spots in my lower jaw that would bleed when I touched them. The tip of my tongue is really red and swollen to the point it feels like it's been burned pretty badly. I was really hoping that these products would work, I feel like I possibly have gotten a chemical burn from either one of the products or both. I'm really worried about the kind of chemicals that are in these products because I have never had this happen to me before.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

When brushing my teeth with this toothpaste I'd always get a never ending mint aftertaste even though I had brushed my teeth 9 hours ago! It got to the point where my tongue almost felt numb after repeated use and I immediately went back to Colgate. Stay away from Crest! It's made by Proctor and Gamble which makes a ton of different product lines!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I started using Crest detoxify, and later in the day I noticed a pain in my gums. Thinking the toothpaste was really working, I thought no more of it. I brushed again using the Crest detoxify. This time my mouth was in severe pain, my gums began to swell and the skin started peeling off. This not only happened to my gums, but the entire inside of my mouth. My Dr. said it looks like a bad chemical reaction. Be careful using this product, it is harmful to some.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I had been using this product for about six weeks when the hygienist told me my gums were a mess. The next appt was better with Crest detoxify. Then my jaw started giving me pain to the point that I couldn’t close my mouth all the way because it hurt so bad. I didn’t realize this product was the cause until we went camping for a week and I used a different toothpaste in my travel bag. The pain went away and I could comfortably chew on that side. We get back home and I went back to the detoxify toothpaste and the same problem occurs. I stopped using it and the pain disappeared. I’m convinced it was this toothpaste causing the problem. Be careful with it!

Original review: June 17, 2018

I used Crest Baking Soda & Peroxide Whitening for 3 to 4 weeks before feeling a deep aching tooth pain. I felt maybe I should go to the dentist, so I scheduled an appointment. I could not get seen for 2 weeks. I decided to wait and deal with the pain. Then my other tooth started hurting. That was strange, never had I had 2 teeth at the same time hurting. Worse yet, 2 more teeth started to give me a deep throbbing pain. That's 4 teeth at the same time. I used clove oil, ** and gargled with whiskey and Listerine to try and kill the pain. It kept coming back. Just yesterday my wife was in severe tooth pain after she had just visited the dentist for a cleaning 2 days before and she had no problems or cavities.

I have never expected to be attacked by a poisonous product that is on store shelves. I am sitting here at 4 am because I cannot sleep because of the pain caused by this product. Greed is the motivation behind Proctor and Gamble selling these products that are not checked by anyone and are sold to consumers to be some kind of lab experiment. I want to sue them so that other consumers do not have to feel the pain that my wife and I are experiencing after using their product. We are not your personal experiment Proctor and Gamble!!! And, you are not above the Law.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with Crest Pro-Health toothpaste. Every time I used it, a thin layer of skin would come off of my entire mouth. The lid on the tube is always in the way, & when squeezing the tube, the toothpaste gets everywhere. The toothpaste is also too liquid. I am a senior & have never in my life submitted a complaint about a product. I will never buy this product & my word of mouth will be against this product. I will, however, still purchase standard Crest Toothpaste. Thank you for hearing my concerns.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Do not buy Crest Baking Soda Toothpaste! I have been using this toothpaste for about two months with no problems but yesterday morning I woke up with painful ulcers (canker sores) inside my mouth. I brushed my teeth twice with this toothpaste yesterday (as usual) without realizing that they caused my ulcers. But when I woke up this morning, the ulcers were even worse. It now hurts to smile and talk and move my mouth in general. Also, it hurts a lot when I brush my teeth and I can only eat soft foods.

Crest Toothpaste Company Information