Crest Toothpaste

Crest Toothpaste

1.7/5 (983 ratings)

About Crest Toothpaste

Crest Toothpaste Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest Toothpaste?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Crest?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

My dentist gave me Gum Detoxify toothpaste so I thought it would be good. I bought some. HD some fillings 2 weeks ago so I assumed that's why my mouth was so sore. Tonight after the lower part of my mouth being so sore I cant handle it. I started doing research. My husband said could it be the toothpaste and it looks like the answer is yes. The lower part of my mouth teeth are so sore I dont even want to talk. Never again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I used gum defence toothpaste for the first time about a month ago, I remember having swollen gums and some pain. I did not realize that the toothpaste was the problem until I tried it again 2 days ago. I am having a lot of pain in my gums and a very sore tongue and lower jaw area. Tonight I am so sore I decided to look up possible side effects....and now I see it is the toothpaste!!! Now what to do about the issue?!?! THAT 1 STAR IS ONLY BECAUSE THEY MADE ME RATE IT THAT TO POST!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

After using Crest Gum Detoxify for a few days, I developed a very sore tongue. Also the roof of my mouth feels burned. I quit using but the pain is still bad after 5 days of throwing that horrible product out. I have a white coating on my tongue that looks like thrush but after reading several people went to the doctor and did not have thrush or a bacterial infection, it must be from the Crest. I can barely taste anything, my mouth just hurts all over but my tongue is the worst part of it. I have been rinsing with salt water and tried the Orajel mouthwash but it didn't seem to help much. I'm not sure how long this is going to last but that product needs to be taken OFF the market. There are well over 800 reviews about the pain and suffering it has caused so just imagine how many people did write a review of how badly this product hurt them. Crest needs to be held accountable.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Yo, I’m not the type to leave reviews but I have to so that others won’t get affected by this product ever again! So I recently went to Walmart and saw that they were selling crest for $1. I said, "Wow, let me try this. It’s look so affordable." Big mistake!!!! If I could rate something 0 star, I would. After using Crest for about 2 days, my gums starting swelling up. It was hard for me eat food, and even to open my mouth wide. I didn’t know what was causing the gum swelling and pain, but I quickly thought it was gingivitis.

Anyhows I continued using the toothpaste, but something wasn’t right because I brush my teeth multiple times a day, and floss. I shouldn’t be getting “gingivitis”. But then I realize, my gum only started hurting and swelling after using the crest toothpaste. I stopped using Crest, and went back to my regular Colgate to see if things would get better, and it did. After that, I threw away my Crest toothpastes and stick to Colgate. I don’t think this product is for humans. And clearly I’m not the only one that thinks this way. So many reviews are saying it’s a bad product. At this time, they should throw the whole company away. It’s not safe for humans!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Losing flavor/taste. I just decided to google Crest 3D Whitening reviews to see if people are having the same symptoms. I’ve never experienced this before. I've been using this for months. I bought a pack on sale, so I have a bunch. I bought a new toothpaste and hopefully I’ll get some taste back.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

After a week of using the Gum Detoxify toothpaste, I had sore, painful gums, tongue, cheeks, and lips. I was worried about tooth decay in my molars, so I wanted to switch to the Stannous fluoride formula. I have had an issue in the past with the 3D Whitening Toothpaste that caused pain in my lips and skin ripping off in pieces from my cheeks, so I knew that I had chosen the wrong toothpaste again. I have used Crest toothpaste all of my life, but I think I am done with it. This is the second toothpaste from Crest that has given me terrible mouth and gum pain. They should recall this product and reformulate it.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

My dentist gave me a sample and, since I ran out of my Aquafresh last night, I decided to try it. While brushing, my mouth burned horribly and gums began to bleed profusely. I immediately stopped brushing and had to rinse with cool water many times to get the bleeding to stop. My gums never bleed when I brush and I brush vigorously, so I am certain this product caused it. My mouth is still irritated today. Thankfully, I found these reviews. There may be few of us, but with this serious a reaction, why is there nothing warning consumers of this possibility? Could not believe it! How can this product be available over the counter?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I have become very attentive to my dental health in the last few years, as I was combating gum issues. I got a coupon for Crest Detoxify at my dentist's office and figured I would give it a try. Unlike a lot of the other reviewers here, I had no symptoms in my mouth...no cankers, no pain. After about a week, I developed a cough that I blamed on a head cold, but it didn't go away. I blamed it on my hay fever, post-nasal drip when sleeping. Three bottles of cough syrup later, I still had no improvement. I did notice that it seemed worse after I brushed my teeth at night, but thought that it was maybe from leaning over the sink or something like that. It wasn't until I got really sick one day and just didn't brush my teeth that I noticed I wasn't having trouble breathing, and I wasn't coughing. I thought that maybe I was getting over the cough.

I used my kids' toothpaste yesterday (boring ordinary Colgate), with no issue. Then, this morning, I used my Crest Detoxify and within 2 minutes, I was having trouble breathing and my throat was closing up. That's when I realized that I wasn't struggling with a bad cough and congestion...I was having an anaphylactic reaction to the toothpaste! Even tonight, using a different toothpaste, I had a mild reaction -- I guess there was still residue in my brush. That's scary! Who expects to have that kind of reaction to toothpaste? I don't have reactions to much (outside of pet dander, hence the hay fever) and never expected to have my throat close up from toothpaste! This stuff is not just hazardous -- in my case, it may be life threatening! Needless to say, I am taking the rest of my tube to the doctor to have it, and me, tested. This stuff should have a hazard warning!!!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2019

After 2 days of using Crest Pro Health Mouthwash I started feeling pain on my gums and teeth, sores under my tongue. After reading so many negative reviews online about this mouthwash I immediately stopped using it. Hopefully the sores and pain will go away soon.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I started using the Crest whitening mouthwash for about two days now and all of sudden develop a tingling sensation on my cheeks, the tip of my tongue???? Today I got up and under my tongue was sore. Very irritated. I had to constantly rinse my mouth with water to feel relief. I quickly suspected “it must be this mouthwash” so google it and found this site, thank God I did. I might have continued using the mouthwash and cause my permanent damage. I’m still feeling sore but God willing it’ll go away in a couple of days. ???? Somebody needs to bring a class action suit against Crest!!!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

I'm so glad I decided to look this up and found that there are others like me. I've had 4 dental procedures this year, from infected gums, a cavity, root canal and two root canal re-treatments, due to root pulp infection. I'm thinking I must be doing something totally WRONG, right. I brush daily, and I have this wonderful clinical mouthwash so why is this happening. My mouth continues to get sores and then my gums started to peel!!! WTH! Talk about some scary stuff! I thought I was going crazy until I searched Crest Clinical Mouthwash. I've been a Crest person since I started brushing my teeth. I even used the clinical toothpaste not realizing that my gum inflammation and everything could have been caused by this product. Look, this stuff is horrible. Stop this now!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

I thought this would be a great product because it foams and goes under the gums. I used it for about 4 months thinking I'd have a great check up. The hygienist freaked out because I went from 1-3 to 4-5 deep pockets. I suspected it was the new toothpaste so I switched to Arm & Hammer complete care, baking soda based toothpaste. Guess what... My gums improved dramatically down to mostly 1-2 deep pockets at my last cleaning and it had been 8 months between cleanings this time.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I began using this product on four days ago, on a Monday. It is now the following Thursday, and I am dealing with the second day severe pain in mostly my lower gums, and a pain with burning sensation under my tongue. I started freaking out, thinking something was seriously wrong, then I researched side effects of this mouthwash. I found this site, among others, where people are sharing their experiences with very similar symptoms to mine. The symptoms started yesterday, but nothing thinking they could be related to the mouthwash, I used it last night and this morning again.

Then, something clicked, and I researched the product. As bad as my symptoms are, they aren't as bad as some describe here. Luckily, I have been using an SLS-free toothpaste. I can't imagine what I'd be going through if I had been using one with SLS, as the reaction might have been worse. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! Today, I've gone to a simple salt-water mix, so I'm hoping that will help clear up my mouth pain in a few days.

Original review: July 11, 2019

This product is horrible! So bad I had to look up why my mouth is in so much pain & glad I found a forum to express my concerns along with other customers. This product has caused my mouth to be in pain now for almost a week. It’s unbearable, extremely difficult to eat, and uncomfortable. I’ve even tried taking pain meds just to ease the pain. Product need to be REMOVED FROM MARKET!!!!

Original review: July 9, 2019

I started using this product as it seemed like a great new product. I am now suffering the consequences of too good to be true. My gums, lips, cheeks and tongue feel as if they have been burned. I have sores on my gums and lips. I have stopped using detoxify and the pain is subsiding. I am not sure what caused the reaction but no matter what it was my reaction was to throw the toothpaste away and go back to my old toothpaste.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I started using Crest 3D White and almost immediately had sores on my tongue, on the inside of my cheeks, and the tip of my tongue felt burnt. It was so painful I could barely sleep! I stopped using it for a few weeks and my mouth cleared up. I thought maybe I could use it periodically instead of daily. I used it now ONCE, and only about 3 hours later my mouth is completely sore again! What could be in this toothpaste that causes this? How is this safe?? For those experiencing the same pain as mine, I do recommend Biotene mouthwash. It helped my mouth heal quicker.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I bought this product because I noticed my gums were slightly receding. I thought it wouldn’t hurt, especially since it was alcohol free. After using it for one day and a half my gums are now red, irritable and painful. Little ulcers are throughout my mouth. The tip of my tongue feels burnt. I normally use Crest toothpaste as well. I believe maybe a chemical reaction occurred. Not sure but this is miserable!! Wish I would have read the reviews prior to using this product. Didn’t even think about that!

Original review: June 6, 2019

Whose bright idea was it to thin out the toothpaste? When I open the tube I get as much on the counter top as I get on my tooth brush. A tube now goes half as long as it used to. I will probably switch brands to something that stays in the tube until I squeeze it.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I started using Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash, 2x daily over 1 year ago. I went to the dentist complaining about the brown stains between all of my teeth and around the gum line. I told the dentist my gums were sore all of the time. She said was brushing too hard and to drink coffee through a straw. Okay, I started to do as she suggested and actually began using the mouthwash more and more often and brushed less. Brown stains returned, gums still sore but now my gums have receded so drastically that I need gum grafts.

I started researching the internet about staining, sore gums and finally today I found this Consumer Affairs site along with other people's complaints that their mouthwash was causing all of this. I am so mad! My gums are destroyed and I doubt I will ever get the stains removed from between my teeth. I have a supply of this horrible stuff that I paid $7.99 each. I have a dentist appointment on June 10, I am hoping she will get this message out to all of her patients. All of this time I thought I was really taking good care of my teeth. But now I have to see a periodontist for $3000.00 of painful gum grafts.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Crest Gum Detoxify caused a horrible burning pain! This was the second time I used this product. I thought it had really improved my gum health, had a dental checkup and the hygienist said they looked good. Continued using it, developed burning and sores on my tongue, thought I a thrush or something. Didn’t think about the toothpaste, quit using it mainly because of the cost and it went away. Time for another dental checkup so decided to use it again. After just a few days the burning started again and I developed sore on the inside of my bottom lip. This time it dawned on me that it might be the toothpaste. Stopped using 1 day ago and I can already tell a difference. So glad I finally figured it out. I hated having to give up so many foods because the burning sensation was so bad.

Original review: May 21, 2019

Okay I am a college student who was in search of a good Toothpaste. So I tried Crest Pro Health hearing a lot of good things about the toothpaste when about 5 months into using the toothpaste I noticed some odd staining on my teeth. I dug into a little background why people don't use Crest Pro Health and it TURNED OUT THAT THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT CAUSES STAINS. WTF. Crest should count their blessings. It's just a small streak of my teeth that got stained by their crappy product. I wish I could give them negative stars. Stay away. Never touch. It's all advertisement. There are non ADA approved toothpastes better than Crest Pro Health.

As a side note I did notice that Crest Pro Health also had some nasty side affects.
~Burning sensation with spicy food.
~Weird post brushing sensations that were NOT PLEASURABLE AT ALL.
~Has a weird consistency.
~Crest Pro health is VERY TEMP. Sensitive.
~Strange overly sweet flavor

~Tasted way too good to be true.

TLDR: This tooth Paste by Crest Pro Health feels like one enormous scam. "Says Stainous Flouride whitens, when really it stains." WTF Please to anyone stay away.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Never Again... Detoxify Toothpaste. I have been using this product for over a month and started noticing the roof of my mouth was almost raw. I couldn't understand nor did I put two and two together. Thinking the worst, I thought I had mouth cancer! I never experienced such pain. It was difficult to eat and I was losing weight because of this. In the middle of the night, I started to think about what I was doing differently. What was I doing that had changed... then I figured out, this all started when I started using this toothpaste. I did my own experiment and stopped using it for a week. Guess what? My mouth is pain-free!!! Take this product off the market!!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I bought Crest gum detoxifying toothpaste and after a week or two my soft palate started getting very sore and I thought I had an infection. Than it went to my whole mouth being sore. Teeth and gums. Tongue was fine though. I assumed the worst because that’s just me. I was on the internet all week researching what would cause this pain( having no insurance) and decided to just deal with it. I took ** and NSAIDS and used **. I kept brushing and flossing (which was extremely painful) and then bought Listerine as well as this mouth pain relief wash. Finally after about a week to two weeks the pain diminished and I’m now stuck wondering is this toothpaste just completely horrible or was it just all the bacteria coming to the surface and my mouths healthier for it? I don’t know but I won’t be buying it again until I get insurance and talk with a dentist about the ingredients and my experience.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My dentist offered coupons for this product and I bought several tubes. Initially I thought the product helped as it did seem to neutralize and made teeth seem cleaner. After a few weeks I developed extreme gum and tooth pain. Could hardly chew food. Whole mouth was throbbing and I had difficulty sleeping. I didn't immediately attribute it to the toothpaste until things continued to worsen and I thought to google this product. On the Crest site all reviews were glowing. Thankfully I found this site, realized the toothpaste could be the source of the pain and stopped using the product. After a few days the throbbing has finally lessened and I am gaining some comfort in my mouth. I can only hope there is not permanent damage to my gums. The company needs to be made to pull this product.

Original review: April 23, 2019

On March 28, 2019, my dental hygienist gave me a sample tube of Crest Gum Detoxify toothpaste to try. I used it twice a day for about three days. It seemed to irritate my gums so I reduced using this product to just once a day for a couple more days. My gums and tongue became so inflamed and sore that I stopped using it altogether. Blisters appeared along the sides of my tongue. It felt like the inside of my mouth had suffered a severe burn. My gums and tongue were so sore that I could not eat solid food for over a week and had difficulty sleeping because of the pain. In addition, my lower lip became very dry and cracked as if it was sunburned.

I ended up in the Dentistry department of my local hospital where I was prescribed a special oral rinse ($60) to use three times a day for two weeks. Although the inflammation of my gums and tongue has subsided, the inside corners of my mouth are still sore and my lower lip is still raw and chapped. This is 3 weeks after I stopped using this product. While this toothpaste may be fine for some consumers, it has certainly caused me considerable pain and discomfort.

Original review: April 22, 2019

For the past 5 weeks, after starting this toothpaste, I have had tender, swollen tongue with small sores, peeling inner lips, cracking, red painful hard palate, sore throat, constant slimy feeling of inner lips with tenderness and swelling, extremely dry mouth during the night, and what feels like a yeast infection of my tongue. I have never had anything like this, and was told by my sister last evening that she had similar symptoms after starting Crest products. Why are these products still on the market? This must stop. Why has there not been a class action lawsuit?

Original review: April 21, 2019

After the first day of using Crest Detoxify toothpaste I woke up to my tongue being burnt, sores on my tongue and my gums and my throat being sore. I can't drink anything without a straw or it hurts my mouth. Everything that I eat or drink doesn't seem to have a flavor or it's too sweet. We really need to get together as a group and sue this company.

Original review: April 19, 2019

First, thank you for this forum and thanks to all those who have taken the time to write about their experiences. I’ve only used Crest Pro Health Advanced Mouthwash for a couple of weeks at night only. Right off there was gum and tongue soreness. But the worst is how it affected my sense of taste. My morning coffee was just awful and it didn’t get better as the day progressed. Fortunately, everything was back to normal after skipping one night. I know we are supposed to kill all the bacteria in our mouths after brushing, but I’m not so sure the trade off is worth it. I will see my dentist and inquire about another, safer brand.

Original review: April 15, 2019

After using Crest 3D White toothpaste for the past few days, I noticed my mouth and tongue were getting sores and my gums have become increasingly raw and sore. It's the middle of the night and I'm in pain. A lot of pain. I thought back to the last time I felt this type of pain and it was when I used Crest whitening strips a while back (which I quit using). I will never use Crest products again and have thrown every Crest item in my house out. I only hope this heals soon as I am miserable.

Original review: April 14, 2019

It never occurred to me that the mouthwash that I was using was causing craters on my palate and blistered gums. Because I was in pain I actually doubled down on the mouthwash. After all there was no alcohol in the product so it couldn’t be that strong! I thought I had a vitamin deficiency so I went to the doctor and had multiple rounds of blood drawn. It wasn’t until I looked online that I realized that mouthwash could be responsible for this horrific pain. I did oil pulling with coconut oil and after one day it was 80% better. There should be a large warning posted on the bottle warning that an allergic reaction and/or reaction with toothpaste is possible. Shame on the company. The pain I experienced was terrible.

Crest Toothpaste Company Information