Colgate Toothpaste

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I have been using Colgate Optic White toothpaste, and originally thought I was having an allergic reaction to something else, however after I stopped using it and started using it again, I ended up with red swollen and blistered lips. It Burns almost like my lips were burned with a match. This product needs to be recalled and stopped being sold. I am considering getting an attorney to file a lawsuit.

I bought Colgate Enamel toothpaste 10 days ago. On the fourth day of use my gum was all red and swollen and it got worse... my teeth started to get soft and I could not eat anymore and the pain was driving me crazy and I could not sleep anymore. It was 48 hours of terrible suffering and I had to take antibiotics. Today, 10 days later, I feel a little better. Do not buy this product because it is harmful to health. I do not understand how Colgate put that toothpaste on sale. It must be withdrawn from the market.

So about a month ago, I purchased Colgate's Optic white. On the first brush I should have knew something wasn't right. My tongue burned. My gums burned. But I had never used whitening specific products before so I thought maybe it was a side effect. About a week into using the product my teeth started feeling very sensitive, to literally everything. I thought maybe I was brushing too hard, so stupidly I bought a sorted toothbrush, and tried brush soft. The problems did not leave, and now? Even though I quit using this horrible product over a week ago, my gums are dried out horrible and sore. My teeth aren't hurting as bad as they were but I'm seeing my dentist Monday. I do not recommend this product to anyone! It needs to be recalled. Seriously awful experience.

After a month of burning cracked numb tongue and gums, my Dr. guessed that I was using Colgate toothpaste. He has had a number of patients that the symptoms went away after they stopped using Colgate whitening toothpaste! It been five days, and I am better, but still feeling the effects. I wonder what in the world is in this product that makes it so toxic.

Purchased this tartar protection whitening toothpaste at the drugstore. After opening the tube and using it for about three days (2 people in the household, twice a day respectively) I started to notice thin plastic bits getting stuck in between my teeth and along my gums. I thought at first maybe it was my toothbrush getting old and falling apart, but the size, color and shape did not match the bristles. Upon squeezing out the toothpaste and using a toothpick to mix it around, I discovered that the shards were indeed coming from the toothpaste itself. This is so disgusting, and I can only imagine, completely unsafe. Saw that another user had this experience, and her response from the company has me feeling very discouraged about the possibility of being taken seriously. Will never use this company's products again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Colgate Optic White. Upon using this product, I developed sores inside my mouth and a horrible sore on my tongue. Lips are numb and my tongue goes numb as well. Finally put it together that it was the toothpaste after other tests came back negative. All the problems started after I began using it. I'm hoping now that I've stopped it won't take too long for these effects to go away. Stop using the product immediately. Not sure what the heck is in it as I've used whitening toothpaste before, but whatever chemical it is should not be approved for consumer use.

After purchasing and using Colgate whitening fresh breath toothpaste, I developed a sore throat 2 hours later. By the following day my throat was raw and I had mouth ulcers, swollen and painful lips. I didn't realize the toothpaste was causing the symptoms at first so continued to use it. By day 3 my throat and mouth were blistered and so painful. I tried to think what had caused it. The only change I had made was the toothpaste, so I logged on and checked out the toothpaste and there it was over 300 complaints. I stopped using the toothpaste and it has taken 2 days for the symptoms to go. I can't believe Colgate is doing nothing about this. With all the complaints it needs to be removed from the market straight away. There is a severe problem in the makeup of this compound, and it needs addressing. It has put me off ever buying Colgate products.

I bought this toothpaste because my sister is a dentist and recommends Colgate and I wanted a toothpaste that would give me a whiter smile. Well, it's been two weeks and I haven't noticed much whitening but I have developed these awful mouth sores on my gums and tongue that are horribly painful and my sister said most likely a reaction to the toothpaste because it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) which studies have shown to break down the protective lining of the mouth. She advised that I immediately stop using the toothpaste which I did and the sores have gotten better but have not gone away. I looked at my old toothpaste and noticed that it does have SLS but has never, ever given me canker sores. Still puzzled to what it could have been but will not be using this toothpaste nor will I recommend it to anyone.

I am a dental assistant. I always strive for a better smile. I'm always looking for something new to try! While looking for a new whitening toothpaste I stumbled upon Colgate Optic White. There are different strengths of this specific toothpaste. I got the one with "radiant" on the tube. This toothpaste seemed so high end, it came in a nice box and everything. So I gave it a try for about a week and a half. Until I noticed my gums in two areas had become inflamed and extremely sore. It feels like a burn! I began to panic not knowing what was wrong. With the symptoms I was having my mind went to gingivitis.

I asked my boss who is an oral surgeon. He even thought so! But we were so confused because I have great oral hygiene! I messaged a good friend who is a hygienist and begged her to squeeze me in for a cleaning. Until I realized, I had recently switched toothpastes! I went on this website where people have been having similar problems. I was relieved in the moment and threw away the toothpaste. But I'm on day 4 of my gums being swollen and it hurts to eat, brush and floss. Especially floss! I've never bled so bad while flossing in my life. Very painful. The inflammation has spread from the two main localized areas. Most of my gum tissue is now irritated and inflamed. I will not use this again. I'm sticking to Crest. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

I've been using the Colgate Optic White toothpaste for 2 weeks now and there is no results so far, I feel that you guys are doing false advertisement. Is this what the value for my money worth? This is just unjust. Lying to customers to increase sales, yet giving us incorrect misleading information. Regards, Unhappy Customer.

So I've been using this Colgate Total toothpaste for a month or so. I've been noticing that my tongue felt numb and tingly afterwards. It also felt like my tongue had a bad food burn or something. I never liked the taste of the toothpaste but figured I'd suck it up and use it and then never get it again. I also noticed issues with food tasting different to me. Well today I noticed the same thing with my tongue but this time my lips felt numb after I used it as well. 12 hours later and it's still that way. I also can't taste anything at all now. So I wanted to see if anyone else had this happen to them? I hope my ability to taste and my feeling comes back. I look like a stroke patient and that's not really a good look for me when I work as a dental assistant

After just 2 days of using this product (Optic white toothpaste) I started to notice a large bump on my tongue. It turned into a canker sore and swelled up overnight which made me unable to eat and almost talk. It was very painful. I noticed that 3 more sores were beginning to show up around my gums and cheek and my teeth then became very sensitive. I stopped using the toothpaste after a total of 4 days (I wasn't sure what was causing all of this at first). After stopping use my tongue stopped swelling, the sores started to go away, and my teeth started to feel normal again. I will never use this product again.

Late December 2016 I purchased Colgate Optic White toothpaste from Costco. I started using it late December and mid January 2017 started experiencing a metallic taste in my mouth, loss of taste, tingling on my tongue and sores on my gums. I had not changed any other item in my personal care or diet. At the time I started having a metallic taste I started brushing my tongue with the toothpaste. It does not state anywhere on the product not to do this.

January 26, 2017 I went to my Dentist to see if there was something going on with my mouth. From his point of view he couldn't find anything and referred me to an ENT Dr. I went to see the ENT on 2/6/17. We had a thorough discussion and traced it back to my change in toothpaste. He did a test to evaluate my taste for salt/sugar to which I have no taste. He told me to stop using the toothpaste immediately and hopefully I should see a change in approximately 6 weeks.

Following that visit I had a visit with my Primary Care Physician - at which time I had a full blood work up to see if there was anything else going on with me. My blood work came back fine. These symptoms have been going on since mid January and have not gotten any better. This product is NOT fit to be on the market. I encourage others to submit complaints to the CPSC - Consumer Product Safety Commission - https://www.saferproducts.gov/.

I used Colgate Optic White for about 3 days earlier this month. My lips, gums, and tongue feel like they have been badly burned. Why on earth is this product still available for purchase? It has been several weeks now, and the sensations are not improving at all. I have kept my tube as evidence. It's hard to eat and is even hard to talk because my tongue feels so weird. If I could give negative stars, I would do so.

Bought this at the same time I replaced brushes on my Oral B Pro elec. toothbrush. Within a very few days I had severe irritation on the insides of both cheeks next to my lower teeth, and moderate irritation beside the uppers. I thought it was the new brush heads so switched to a new soft brush. The irritation worsened and developed into aphthous ulcers so deep and so painful that my diet was severely restricted to avoid crunchy and or acidic foods. The sores did not heal so I saw my MD who gave me an Rx. Mouthwash which did nothing.

I'm on my second round of the Rx. Rinse with added oral antibiotics (**) with no improvement after 4 days and it dawned on me (Duh) that I'd switched to the Crest Sensitive the same day I got replacement brushed for my elec. brush. I just switched back to Crest last night and already feel markedly reduced burning. Compared the ingred. list of the two. Colgate has Sodium Laurel Sulfate, reported by other consumers to cause irritation or ulcers. Crest does not have it. I'll let my MD know if in fact the ulcers heal confirming that Colgate Sensitive is the cause.

How can you make more of this terrible product!!! I only used it for two days and now I'm feeling the side effects. My lips are so swollen and chapped with ulcers on the inside of my mouth. I never had an allergic reaction to anything and I am shocked to find out that a toothpaste would cause this much discomfort. It's been 2 days since I used this product and I'm miserable. The company refuses to accept responsibility for our pain and suffering. This all could have been avoided had they pulled the defective products off the shelves.

I bought Colgate Smart White with foaming action for sensitive teeth about a month ago because the store was out of Colgate Sensitive with Whitening toothpaste that I have used for years. My mouth has been burning ever since but I only recently put it all together that it was this toothpaste. My gums around all of my teeth burn. I even have had shooting pains in my teeth. The tip of my tongue burns even my lips. The pain and burning sensation was gradual over time. I have used it for about 5 weeks. I quit using this product 4 days ago and still no improvement! I have tried everything for relief and I only get partial relief. Colgate Smart White for sensitive teeth should come with a warning to consumers! This product contains abrasive ingredients and can harm your mouth! I'm worried now this burning in my mouth will never end.

Colgate Flax mouthwash melted my tooth, caused tooth sensitivity, dry mouth, burning sensation in gums, lips... It's burning for last 2 years even after stop using. I was used it from July 16th 2014 to Oct 17 2014, 3 months continuously, 2 times per day... but still unable to find cure. Please SHUT DOWN your production. Dear Americans or Europeans why you are not suing against this Colgate in court? I can't because I'm living in country where we won't get justice as the corporates can easily escape... Can all of you give me your mail id's so we will be in same page and discuss on this.

I have been using Colgate optic white for almost a year. Shortly after starting use the lining of my tongue became inflamed and I developed sores in my mouth. I had chronic sore throats. Then the enamel on my teeth became very thin. Near my gum lines my enamel was completely disappearing. The dentist began filling those areas. She questioned me about changes in my diet. We could not figure out what was going on. I'm 41 years old. Until this I have had very healthy and strong teeth. I eat zero sugar and am healthy overall. My tongue and mouth remained inflamed. My new fillings were falling out after a month each time. The dentist couldn't figure out what was going on.

Well I was purchasing my new tube of optic white when the cashier says to me, "this stuff will ruin your teeth and make you sick". She went on to tell me that she had been using it until developing mouth sores and chronic sore throats. She explained that the enamel was now so thin on her teeth that she had caps. Like me, her dentist couldn't figure out what was going on either. The dentist would cap her teeth and the caps would fall off within months. She did her own research and found 1000s of similar consumer complaints. I'm on day 3 of not using it and my tongue and mouth is nearly healed. I'm so thankful the cashier shared her experience with me. It's amazing there are so many complaints and Colgate has not pulled this product.

I have used a different toothpaste for many years. Several weeks ago, I decided to try using Colgate Optic White toothpaste. I ended up with horrible sores on the roof of my mouth, my tongue, and my lower back gums. At the time, I didn't put my symptoms together with the new toothpaste. I was out of town, so I couldn't go to my dentist or doctor. I assumed I had eaten something that caused the issues. It took several weeks for the sores to heal. It was very painful. Now, this week, something even worse has happened. Several nights ago, I was finishing brushing my teeth when I realized pieces of one of my back upper molars had chipped off. It seemed weird since I have never had that happen before and had not eaten anything that could have broken my tooth. I called my dentist and made an appointment to go in this coming week.

Now tonight, once again I brushed my teeth and as I rinsed my mouth I realize my front top tooth had a big chip off the bottom edge! I take very good care of my teeth and had just been in for my check up and cleaning a few weeks before I started using this toothpaste. My dentist told me at the time my teeth looked great, no issues. So now suddenly they are chipping away after using this toothpaste?! I was shocked when I went online to see if others had experienced similar issues and lo and behold, yes! I think Colgate should have to pay for my upcoming trip to the dentist which will likely include at least one cap and some tooth grinding. I'm very upset about my front tooth. Why is such a toxic and destructive product still being sold? Someone please let me know if there is a class action lawsuit because I want in! DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT if you want to avoid pain and chipped off teeth!

I used Colgate optic white for the first time in the middle of March 2016. I only used it for 5 days, twice a day. Each time I used this tooth paste I would wake up with white peelings in my mouth which I thought were some sort of whitening effect but later discovered it was my skin peeling, plus a white patch showed up near the tip of my tongue (unsure of what it is exactly) so I discontinued use immediately.

Now to this day I've been suffering with a possible mouth ulcer (still unsure of exactly what it is) that isn't going away, random pain in my jaw, gums, neck and throat, burning sensations on my tongue and roof of my mouth, and most recently my lymph nodes and vallate papillae's are swollen. My tongue, throat and lips are also always swollen. I have something that kind of looks like a chemical burn on my lips and the inside of my mouth (near my lips mostly) that hasn't gone away since and tingles.

My first visit was to the walk in clinic - within the first week I discovered the symptoms. He checked for any masses forming, said I was inflamed and gave me a steroid cream to use on the white patch. I used it for a week with little to no improvement. My second attempt, I went to my family dr. He asked if I would like to see a specialist, recommended going to a dentist and gave me more steroid cream. My third attempt was to the dentist, I was also scheduled for my teeth cleaning as well. Her first reaction was, "I can`t work on your teeth today because your immune system is low" due to what she observed in my mouth. She then said I also have candida and my mouth is inflamed (of course) and prescribed ** for candida.

After taking that prescription with no results and still developing symptoms along with my previous symptoms I head back to the clinic. This time they send me for a full blood test, std test, urine, stool, etc... The WORKS! My tests came back normal with no sign of serious diseases from what I can see on LifeLabs results. I will be returning to my family Dr and will request an Ultrasound on my lymph nodes and throat. Hope I get answers soon, it's been 5 months.

I purchased (My First) fluoride free toothpaste for my toddler and the toothpaste has a very strong odor and smells exactly like nail polish remover. After smelling the toothpaste my head immediately start hurting. Parents do not purchase this toothpaste for your toddler.

I used the Colgate optic whitening toothpaste which I purchased from Hannaford approximately three months ago. I used it for four days and I noticed blisters on the top inside of my lip and a raw inside lower lip. It was not a burn from food. Then I realized it had to be the toothpaste. I stopped using it but I am still having issues. My lips still feel raw, they are swollen inside and lumpy like scar tissue has formed and when I wake up they are stuck to my teeth. I can't whistle anymore, I can't grasp a straw with my lips unless the straw is pushed back a good distance in my mouth and saliva now wets the corners of my mouth and I dab it quite a few times during the day. Not a day goes by where this doesn't have an impact on everyday life. How could this company be so reckless to people who trusted their name. What can be done.... I threw out the tube so my grandchildren would not use. Wish I kept it for proof. Hannaford is in Walden Ny.

After reading all the reviews and horrible side effects of Colgate toothpastes, I wonder if anyone else has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer after having used this product for several years? My symptoms: cough, trouble breathing, and hoarse. I have researched the chemicals in Colgate Optic White and 2 specifically stand out. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: damage eyes, irritate skin and lead to labored breathing. May stay within the body for up to five days, accumulating in the heart, liver, lungs and brain.Transforms into nitrosamines, a class of powerful carcinogens. Propylene Glycol: An active component in antifreeze. Can be rapidly absorbed through the skin, with prolonged contact, leading to brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. The FDA is doing little to nothing to protect the consumer. How many others have to suffer before ALL dangerous products are removed from the marketplace?

I was interested to read the reviews of reactions to a Colgate toothpaste. My doctor is stumped to find the cause of lumps and 'hot spots' along the saliva glands under my left jaw. These occurred after a few days of using the new Sensitive Pro Relief toothpaste. An intense taste of acidity and dryness was the first indication of something wrong. My lips became sore and my mouth, particularly my tongue, was on fire when I used my normal everyday mouthwash. A saliva gland under my left jaw felt hard and enlarged.

My doctor at first prescribed some anti-reflux medications. I was then sent for some ultrasound scans which picked up a mass of 'hot spots' under my jaw. After a course of antibiotics, these 'hot spots' remain. Because of the time link between the problems arriving in my mouth and the use of the new toothpaste, I have always supposed there could well be a link between my symptoms and this toothpaste. I am interested to hear whether others have had similar problems.

I bought Colgate Total Whitening and started noticing sickness in the mornings and evenings. It would get worse each day until I realized it was from this toothpaste! What do they put in this stuff? My throat would swell, my stomach would ache, and my chest would become painful. I'd hack stuff up and desperately drink some soda hoping it would help my stomach aches. Don't buy Colgate, buy anything except this.

I tried Colgate Optic white high impact white rinse. After a few times the inside of my lips and my gums became sore and numb. My lips are extremely dry, cracking and have a numb feeling. I have bought every lip balm available trying to make them feel better, but nothing is helping. I am trying home remedies now. I will never use this product again and will be returning the partially used bottle to Wal-Mart.

Purchased Colgate Optic High Impact White Toothpaste at Target June 2016 (in the USA). Tube exp. 2017. Per directions: safe to use daily so I used it for one month, 2 x a day, like I would any toothpaste. I hadn't whitened my teeth with toothpaste before and I wanted to try it. Colgate is a name that I have known and trusted my whole life. I did not have a reaction in my mouth or lips until after 2-3 weeks usage so I did not relate my symptoms to the toothpaste. I had no idea what was happening to me when I began to have the feeling of swallowing around a lump in my lower throat after 1 week so I made a Dr. appointment. My mouth developed a blister on the roof after 3 weeks, an extreme acid burning feeling in my stomach and burping acid started also. (I've never had Acid Reflux problems).

Then odd off-and-on sensations started at 4 weeks, such as a mild tremor in my palms, ringing in my ears, mild burning and tingling in my palms and soles of my feet. I felt like toxic was happening to me but I didn't know what since I was in good health. When I saw my Dr. yesterday he asked, "Have you used or eaten anything different this month?" Only the Colgate Optic White toothpaste. He said he didn't think that a toothpaste could cause health problems. By the way, I have a friend who uses this product with no problems. The tube that I purchased might have been a caustic batch? Maybe I am terribly allergic to the ingredients? Maybe it was something else?

My throat after 4 weeks had at times become feelings as dry-as-a-desert and my tongue swollen on the edges, I was concerned that my throat might swell even worse and I would need to go to an ER. I searched "dry throat" and found these Consumer Reviews here. Thank goodness for the post by the woman in June 2016 who said that her symptoms of acid stomach reduced after 3 days of not using this Colgate Toothpaste. I am on day 3 of stopping use and the acid is much less and burping acid is decreasing too. My throat swallowing is improving too. This product should be batch-tested based and removed from the stores as soon as possible Colgate - or at least warn people of possible severe allergic reactions. I hope no one else has to go through what happened to me - if indeed this was caused by this product.

I have recently bought the Colgate optic white toothpaste and it's working about average. I have used it for 4 days now and noticed a slight difference about my teeth. It's not very whiter than it once was. I have also noticed that now and then I get more toothaches than usual. I think it's a very great brand and all but it said on the packaging that it works within 3 days. I know there's a stinging feeling to it, tastes like tiger balm. I also had a little trouble breathing, but that might be connected to my car sickness. Overall, it's a good product, but might be eating away at your teeth.

After using Colgate Optic for like 3 days, I woke up with a swollen bottom lip. I was freaking out, but then I remembered how the back of my lip felt raw before I went to bed. They should not be selling this toothpaste. I look like somebody punched me.

Colgate Toothpaste Company Profile