3.63/5

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

Colgate Toothpaste

Get matched with the best Home Warranty for you!

417 Colgate Toothpaste Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I have been using Colgate Total toothpaste (both gel & paste) for 20+ years and have LOVED it. This new formula Total SF is TERRIBLE! The taste is unbearable bad, my teeth don't feel clean even right after using, and it gave my husband painful sores and a swollen tongue. Not even sure how this got released. Please go back to the old formula.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I had no idea the product had changed into this Total "SF". I had immediate burning in my mouth and when I woke up the next morning I had sores all on the inside of my lips and a raw-feeling sensitive tongue. I do not recommend this product whatsoever and will have to change toothpaste brands after years of loving their product. It is incredibly scary that a product can do this to a person.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I am so glad I stumbled on this page. I had irritation, burning, sensitivity, sores, everything for weeks in my mouth. No idea what it was. My DR asked if I had changed toothpastes. Sure enough, I had. To this stuff. I went two weeks without using it, to test the theory. I went back to the Colgate Total Whitening last night, and within an hour or two, I had the same symptoms return. My throat even feels a bit sore now, and the underside of my tongue is irritated and feels fuzzy. I don't know what Colgate has done but I am immediately throwing these in the garbage and am now concerned for the health of my mouth for using this for as long as I did. They better figure this out immediately and pull it off the shelves if this many people are complaining with symptoms.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

The tube of Colgate Total I bought 2 weeks ago is so watered down it oozes out of the hole, can't be controlled by me not squeezing, and accumulates under the cap. What a mess. I will have to switch to a new brand.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

After years of using Colgate toothpaste I tried the new formula for Professional Clean. It tasted terrible and made my mouth sting. I tried my husband's tube which is a different type. It tasted slightly better but my mouth still feels bad after 24 hours. They both left a bad taste in the mouth and I feel like I've been poisoned. I'm not going to try it a third time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I can not brush my teeth as usual. My lip is swollen, gums are red and throat closing up. I am a dental hygienist. Never smoked and I think I have cancer. Thank you very much. My daughter is getting married and I can not smile and no lipstick. I am furious.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I've been using Colgate toothpaste since I was a kid. I'm now 70. Never had a problem with the stuff until a few days ago, when I bought a new tube, called "Total-sf”. My mouth would feel burned by the toothpaste every time. I thought it was me, and that I was just sensitive. I used it for 10 days, and the last time I brushed, the burning was so intense, and I had to spit it out so fast, it went all over the mirror and walls. I took a closer look at the label and saw "New Flavor". So that's it! They snuck in something new, and drastically horrible. WTF COLGATE, why are you trying to poison your loyal customers? Did you only test this crap on cadavers? Have any of the human taste testers survived, and sued you. You must remove this junk from the market place before you are sued into extinction.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I have been using Colgate Total Advanced Whitening toothpaste for 10 years at least. Ever since I bought this new toothpaste at Costco, I have had intense mouth sores, irritation, blisters and swollen and peeling lips. It has been at least 7 weeks and I couldn’t figure out what the irritation was until I noticed today that the toothpaste says “new formula”. I’ve been on a Doctor prescribed medicine for a week and it’s not helping. Will never buy this poison again. I called Colgate and they said someone would call me back. Nothing!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have used Colgate for at least two decades and have never had a problem. For FIVE weeks straight my lips were swollen, I had blisters inside my lips and on my gums, my tongue was swollen and rough, and every day the symptoms kept changing. I almost went to the ER one morning because my husband was worried that the swelling would cut off my breathing. Every morning when I woke up the symptoms were at their worst and although the swelling reduced throughout the day the pain did not. Eating and drinking was miserable, I started losing weight as getting food and water in my mouth was painful and very unpleasant. Everything acidic, hot, cold, spicy, etc. was very painful.

I went to the doctor and started testing for auto-immune disease and a basic blood panel but everything came back normal. I also saw an oral specialist and a dermatologist but they kept pushing me around as they had no idea what was going on. I'm obviously a slow learner because it took five miserable weeks before I decided to switch to Tom's of Maine, I've had zero symptoms since. After a full month of a healthy mouth I just used Colgate yesterday (AM/PM) and this morning I woke up to a tingling sensation, slight swelling in my tongue and lips, and a sensitive area under my tongue. EXACTLY the same issues I was having before. This product should NOT be on the shelf, I'm shocked to see all the other complaints here just like mine. My entire family is done with Colgate.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

It feels like my whole mouth is bruised, it feels like I have been chewing tough bubblegum for 18 hours straight. The pain is in my jaws, my tongue is swollen, my teeth hurt when I press on them all over. I was just at the dentist and have no cavities. The ONLY this different is that I bought a new whitening toothpaste: Colgate Optic White. Almost immediately I noticed mouth pain but didn’t connect it to the toothpaste until tonight when I was researching what could possibly be my mouth soreness problem. There should be a lawsuit against Colgate for allowing people to use this product! Against FDA for ever approving it! Unconscionable!!!!! I will be documenting the number of days it takes for the pain to stop???? Hey will not be using this product again. I will be warning my social sphere about this product.

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information