1.23/5
Based on 320 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

336 Colgate Toothpaste Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

DO NOT USE ANY COLGATE PRODUCTS!!! I am a healthy 26 year old female, with no serious medical history and for the last 3 weeks I have had multiple doctor visits to the ENT, Urgent care and at it’s worst the ER. I have missed multiple days at work. All my blood tests, and imaging had come back normal leaving doctors stunned and confused because of the amount of swelling/pain in my cheeks, jaw, migraine headaches starting in the back of my head, neck pain/swelling and ear pressure/ringing that came on so suddenly. Even when my primary care physician had saw me by week 3 she thought that I had parotitis (inflammation of the parotid glands in the cheeks) that has caused infection, because my cheeks were extremely swollen/painful especially on the left side.

I developed a small lump on the left cheek and it was to the point that I could not sleep on either side of my face and was using a neck pillow that a hole in the middle so that there was no pressure on the sides of my face. But she was STILL confused as to why I would have developed this considering all my tests were normal and I am vaccinated. She prescribed antibiotics, recommended an antihistamine and **. It wasn't until I started to develop sores in my mouth that I thought about the fact that I had started using the Colgate Max Whitening toothpaste right before this started happening and was using it still. I immediately switched, the sores are already starting to go away.

When I started reading the reviews from other people today I knew for sure that it was this toothpaste that caused so much pain, suffering and money in doctors’ visits and medicines for me the last few weeks. This is not the first time a Colgate product gave me a reaction. I remember a few years back I had used a Colgate whitening mouthwash that had gave me sores in my mouth and sore throats.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

For couple months I used Colgate Optic White, my tongue was burning. I saw my doctor and a specialist and they told me that my tongue is extremely irritated! I cannot taste the same and it's burning... I stopped using this product for few days and slowly heals (I did a blood test, 2 doctors, I thought I had herpes or liver problems). Don't buy this product!

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I bought Optic White with the hopes of having whiter teeth not blisters and mouth sores. I'll let the pics speak for themselves. My mouth is blistered and my teeth hurt terribly. Shame on you Colgate!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have only used this toothpaste for 3 days and my mouth hurts and burn, I can’t eat normally because of the pain. My gums are raw and I’m just miserable, my dentist gave me this toothpaste sample. I can’t believe this product is on the market.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I used this toothpaste (Colgate Max White) 4 times and my gums were blood red and so sore that I could not eat. Cold water only reduced the pain when washing it around my mouth. It has been over a week now since I stopped using it and I am still in some discomfort. Someone needs to sue them and get this product off the market or at the very least cover the packaging in warning signs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: July 28, 2018

I have periodontitis. I bought Colgate Total on sale and because it is supposed to be good for your teeth and gums. My gums started becoming inflamed and stinging. I discovered that this toothpaste contains Triclosan, an ingredient that is unhealthy and can even cause illness and poisoning. I've used over half the tube before learning about what Triclosan is and that it has been the cause of my gum discomfort. I stopped using this product but the damage is done!!!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I started brushing with Optic White a week ago. Within one day everything started tasting weird. Cottonmouth and a very sharp, bitter taste reaching to the back of my tongue. Of course I hit the internet to look for reasons of sudden onset bitterness and was mortified to find answers like DEMENTIA, PARKINSON'S, CIRRHOSIS of the liver, etc. Nice. One of my supreme pleasures is trying out craft beers from around the world and all of a sudden they tasted like KRYPTONITE. Gee thanks, Colgate! This is day two of NOT using Optic White and my Heineken still tastes like bong water. Thank God for this site. Misery loves company. Hopefully, all will return to normal. Why is this poison still be sold? Colgate SUCKS!

Original review: June 21, 2018

Colgate baking soda and peroxide - I used for 1 week, it burned the side of my mouth. Then I got ulcers. Could not any with crunch or berries or citrus. It really hurt to eat anything. Don't try. Just TRASH IT.

Original review: May 11, 2018

After going through about a half a tube of Optic White I finally stopped using it. Just like everyone else I never thought it would be toothpaste causing my gums, under my tongue, and the entire inside of my mouth to burn and have ulcers. I switched back to Sensodyne 2 days ago and feeling better already but not yet healed. Colgate is TRASH!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Started using Colgate Total Toothpaste daily in 1998. Started having vague symptoms of illness in 2001. Mouth has sores and my teeth with light brushing have receded horribly. My left kidney has atrophied and this occurred is for no known reason. I didn't make the connection to the ingredient that has recently been banned in soaps and other health products. Currently, I am lethargic, stomach is full and fat, teeth and gums ache all the time. I go to the dentist twice a year and have a perfect check up and cleaning. The MD says nothing is wrong with me. For the past year, I am so thirsty, I drink 2 gallons a day. All labs are normal. I have all the symptoms that triclosan presented in the lab rat studies. I think Colgate has poisoned my system. I would urge no one to use Colgate Total. We are guinea pigs for this corporate giant who is feeding us poison.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have been using the Colgate Total toothpastes. The gel mostly and I like the fresh mint flavor, however I have had several experiences of EXTREME DRY MOUTH, especially when I brush my teeth right before bed. It is so uncomfortable to have such a high level of dryness no matter how much water I drink. I even have a bottle of water next to my bed but it doesn't help. That's how much the toothpaste strips the moisture out of my mouth. I didn't realize how bad this has become over time every time I use the toothpaste. I did notice that this particular toothpaste does have Triclosan too. Sigh. After reading all of these reviews, I tossed my toothpaste and will get another brand from now on.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have been using this product for the past few months. On/Off with Crest. On the evenings that I use only Colgate Optic white, I have noticed the following morning the inside of my gums have a white peel that I remove with my finger. And my tongue has a weird feeling. I'm not sure what is in this toothpaste but I will be throwing it away after reading the other reviews. This is a horrible product.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I started using Colgate Total toothpaste in late August. By the beginning of September I started to feel cold and developed bad heartburn, consistently would have nausea allergic to a lot of food and dairy, leaky gut syndrome, candida overgrowth, shingles, constipation, unable to sleep properly, muscle spasms, having teeth trouble caused by the acid reflux, lost a lot of weight. The hardest bit has been missing out doing a lot of things I want to do and the amount of money it has cost me. I hope to get back to my full health by Christmas, start eating normal and start living my life again. Colgate-Palmolive company need to be sued and anyone else that uses triclosan in their products???

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

We are a dental office and when we placed an order, we told them when we would need the supplies by. They kept telling me that it would be on time but it came after our event and they won't even give any concessions for their screw up. I tried to hold for the manager but they kept hanging up on me. I finally told them to just call me because I can't sit on the phone waiting for hours and calling back after they hang up on me. We will never order from them again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have been using Colgate Total forever and recently ran out so thought I would try Advanced Whitening because it was on sale. Within 2 days I began experiencing gum irritation until 4 days after switching. I stopped using the Advanced Whitening toothpaste. This product should, at a minimum, carry a warning that it may cause gum irritation. I don’t understand why this product is even being sold. It is not possible that it was tested on a large sample of people without anyone experiencing gum sensitivity. Going back to Crest...

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have been using Colgate Total for about 2 weeks when I felt some bumps on the inside of my lip. When I went to the mirror I was shocked. The entire lower part of my mouth looked like it had white dead skin with red bumps underneath. White dead skin similar to the skin of a blister. This white dead skin was sloughing even between my lower teeth. I didn't know what to do so I call my dentist. He was in an emergency so I went to my neighbor that was a retired dentist. They told me to discontinue Colgate immediately and rinse hourly with warm salt water. This product should not be on the market.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have been using Colgate Optic White toothpaste, and originally thought I was having an allergic reaction to something else, however after I stopped using it and started using it again, I ended up with red swollen and blistered lips. It Burns almost like my lips were burned with a match. This product needs to be recalled and stopped being sold. I am considering getting an attorney to file a lawsuit.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I bought Colgate Enamel toothpaste 10 days ago. On the fourth day of use my gum was all red and swollen and it got worse... my teeth started to get soft and I could not eat anymore and the pain was driving me crazy and I could not sleep anymore. It was 48 hours of terrible suffering and I had to take antibiotics. Today, 10 days later, I feel a little better. Do not buy this product because it is harmful to health. I do not understand how Colgate put that toothpaste on sale. It must be withdrawn from the market.

Original review: June 22, 2017

So about a month ago, I purchased Colgate's Optic white. On the first brush I should have knew something wasn't right. My tongue burned. My gums burned. But I had never used whitening specific products before so I thought maybe it was a side effect. About a week into using the product my teeth started feeling very sensitive, to literally everything. I thought maybe I was brushing too hard, so stupidly I bought a sorted toothbrush, and tried brush soft. The problems did not leave, and now? Even though I quit using this horrible product over a week ago, my gums are dried out horrible and sore. My teeth aren't hurting as bad as they were but I'm seeing my dentist Monday. I do not recommend this product to anyone! It needs to be recalled. Seriously awful experience.

Original review: June 4, 2017

After a month of burning cracked numb tongue and gums, my Dr. guessed that I was using Colgate toothpaste. He has had a number of patients that the symptoms went away after they stopped using Colgate whitening toothpaste! It been five days, and I am better, but still feeling the effects. I wonder what in the world is in this product that makes it so toxic.

Original review: June 3, 2017

Purchased this tartar protection whitening toothpaste at the drugstore. After opening the tube and using it for about three days (2 people in the household, twice a day respectively) I started to notice thin plastic bits getting stuck in between my teeth and along my gums. I thought at first maybe it was my toothbrush getting old and falling apart, but the size, color and shape did not match the bristles. Upon squeezing out the toothpaste and using a toothpick to mix it around, I discovered that the shards were indeed coming from the toothpaste itself. This is so disgusting, and I can only imagine, completely unsafe. Saw that another user had this experience, and her response from the company has me feeling very discouraged about the possibility of being taken seriously. Will never use this company's products again.

Original review: April 21, 2017

Colgate Optic White. Upon using this product, I developed sores inside my mouth and a horrible sore on my tongue. Lips are numb and my tongue goes numb as well. Finally put it together that it was the toothpaste after other tests came back negative. All the problems started after I began using it. I'm hoping now that I've stopped it won't take too long for these effects to go away. Stop using the product immediately. Not sure what the heck is in it as I've used whitening toothpaste before, but whatever chemical it is should not be approved for consumer use.

Original review: April 16, 2017

After purchasing and using Colgate whitening fresh breath toothpaste, I developed a sore throat 2 hours later. By the following day my throat was raw and I had mouth ulcers, swollen and painful lips. I didn't realize the toothpaste was causing the symptoms at first so continued to use it. By day 3 my throat and mouth were blistered and so painful. I tried to think what had caused it. The only change I had made was the toothpaste, so I logged on and checked out the toothpaste and there it was over 300 complaints. I stopped using the toothpaste and it has taken 2 days for the symptoms to go. I can't believe Colgate is doing nothing about this. With all the complaints it needs to be removed from the market straight away. There is a severe problem in the makeup of this compound, and it needs addressing. It has put me off ever buying Colgate products.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I bought this toothpaste because my sister is a dentist and recommends Colgate and I wanted a toothpaste that would give me a whiter smile. Well, it's been two weeks and I haven't noticed much whitening but I have developed these awful mouth sores on my gums and tongue that are horribly painful and my sister said most likely a reaction to the toothpaste because it contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) which studies have shown to break down the protective lining of the mouth. She advised that I immediately stop using the toothpaste which I did and the sores have gotten better but have not gone away. I looked at my old toothpaste and noticed that it does have SLS but has never, ever given me canker sores. Still puzzled to what it could have been but will not be using this toothpaste nor will I recommend it to anyone.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I am a dental assistant. I always strive for a better smile. I'm always looking for something new to try! While looking for a new whitening toothpaste I stumbled upon Colgate Optic White. There are different strengths of this specific toothpaste. I got the one with "radiant" on the tube. This toothpaste seemed so high end, it came in a nice box and everything. So I gave it a try for about a week and a half. Until I noticed my gums in two areas had become inflamed and extremely sore. It feels like a burn! I began to panic not knowing what was wrong. With the symptoms I was having my mind went to gingivitis.

I asked my boss who is an oral surgeon. He even thought so! But we were so confused because I have great oral hygiene! I messaged a good friend who is a hygienist and begged her to squeeze me in for a cleaning. Until I realized, I had recently switched toothpastes! I went on this website where people have been having similar problems. I was relieved in the moment and threw away the toothpaste. But I'm on day 4 of my gums being swollen and it hurts to eat, brush and floss. Especially floss! I've never bled so bad while flossing in my life. Very painful. The inflammation has spread from the two main localized areas. Most of my gum tissue is now irritated and inflamed. I will not use this again. I'm sticking to Crest. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Original review: April 4, 2017

I've been using the Colgate Optic White toothpaste for 2 weeks now and there is no results so far, I feel that you guys are doing false advertisement. Is this what the value for my money worth? This is just unjust. Lying to customers to increase sales, yet giving us incorrect misleading information. Regards, Unhappy Customer.

Original review: March 24, 2017

So I've been using this Colgate Total toothpaste for a month or so. I've been noticing that my tongue felt numb and tingly afterwards. It also felt like my tongue had a bad food burn or something. I never liked the taste of the toothpaste but figured I'd suck it up and use it and then never get it again. I also noticed issues with food tasting different to me. Well today I noticed the same thing with my tongue but this time my lips felt numb after I used it as well. 12 hours later and it's still that way. I also can't taste anything at all now. So I wanted to see if anyone else had this happen to them? I hope my ability to taste and my feeling comes back. I look like a stroke patient and that's not really a good look for me when I work as a dental assistant

Original review: March 23, 2017

After just 2 days of using this product (Optic white toothpaste) I started to notice a large bump on my tongue. It turned into a canker sore and swelled up overnight which made me unable to eat and almost talk. It was very painful. I noticed that 3 more sores were beginning to show up around my gums and cheek and my teeth then became very sensitive. I stopped using the toothpaste after a total of 4 days (I wasn't sure what was causing all of this at first). After stopping use my tongue stopped swelling, the sores started to go away, and my teeth started to feel normal again. I will never use this product again.

Original review: March 3, 2017

Late December 2016 I purchased Colgate Optic White toothpaste from Costco. I started using it late December and mid January 2017 started experiencing a metallic taste in my mouth, loss of taste, tingling on my tongue and sores on my gums. I had not changed any other item in my personal care or diet. At the time I started having a metallic taste I started brushing my tongue with the toothpaste. It does not state anywhere on the product not to do this.

January 26, 2017 I went to my Dentist to see if there was something going on with my mouth. From his point of view he couldn't find anything and referred me to an ENT Dr. I went to see the ENT on 2/6/17. We had a thorough discussion and traced it back to my change in toothpaste. He did a test to evaluate my taste for salt/sugar to which I have no taste. He told me to stop using the toothpaste immediately and hopefully I should see a change in approximately 6 weeks.

Following that visit I had a visit with my Primary Care Physician - at which time I had a full blood work up to see if there was anything else going on with me. My blood work came back fine. These symptoms have been going on since mid January and have not gotten any better. This product is NOT fit to be on the market. I encourage others to submit complaints to the CPSC - Consumer Product Safety Commission - https://www.saferproducts.gov/.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

I used Colgate Optic White for about 3 days earlier this month. My lips, gums, and tongue feel like they have been badly burned. Why on earth is this product still available for purchase? It has been several weeks now, and the sensations are not improving at all. I have kept my tube as evidence. It's hard to eat and is even hard to talk because my tongue feels so weird. If I could give negative stars, I would do so.

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information