3.3/5 (1782 ratings)

About Colgate Toothpaste

Colgate Toothpaste Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

I have been suffering a constant burning/metal/salty taste in my mouth since November 2022. I have CKD so I thought it was my kidneys failing, and today the penny dropped, I was using a Colgate Whitening toothpaste since November 2022 although I am extremely relieved to have found the true cause of my suffering, I am disgusted that this has happened to me. Regards Mrs Veronica ** U K.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2023

This toothpaste makes my gums hurt like crazy. I bought it because it says sensitivity on it and it made my gums hurt all day and I woke up with my gums hurting. I went to the emergency room. When I woke up they told me to use sensodyne.

Get buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

Has anyone noticed the smaller toothpaste tubes and higher price for less toothpaste? The tubes are much smaller and are made with very thick plastic producing less toothpaste. I go through twice as many tubes compared to previous years.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

I immediately felt a burning sensation upon using Colgate optic white for the first time. As I did not realize what was going on I continued to use it for two days and things got much worse. I could not move my tongue up to my teeth and the burning sensation was under my tongue with swollen areas that looked like cysts. I had small white spots and my tongue was on fire. I also had lost my voice for two days. My whole mouth was burning every time I brushed my teeth. My daughter asked if I had changed toothpaste and that's when I realized that the toothpaste was causing all of this. I have discontinued use now for two days and things are improving. This is a dangerous product and needs to be removed from the shelves.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

After several days of using this product I need to stop. I gave it a fair chance but it is really terrible. My mouth is raw. The taste/aftertaste accompanied with the thick foamy coating finally got to me enough that it caused me vomiting. I have diverticulosis and vomiting causes me extreme pain. I really don't know what they were thinking putting this product on store shelves. I've had no issues with other product containing the same main ingredients.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I experienced a terrible reaction after brushing my teeth with Colgate Total SF toothpaste- Not my original toothpaste formula. I usually buy Colgate Total and I have been using that brand for over five years faithfully. I didn’t realize that it had an SF Toothpaste. It started out with a funny feeling to my lips and gums - a tingle. The taste was minty with a cool flavor along with swelling and redness. I literally sat there in my bed watching my lips go from normal to gigantic within 30 minutes of brushing my teeth. I sent a selfie to a family member. She gave me Benadryl to take for the swelling. The following morning I noticed my lips looked much better than the previous night. I continue to take the Benadryl for the allergy.

Curious about the symptoms of toothpaste allergic reaction. I searched the web for any information pertaining to my condition. I found this website with reviews on the subject of toothpaste allergic reactions. I knew then I was not alone with the symptoms I was experiencing. The swelling of my lips finally reduced to normal size but the pain was unbearable. The next day I went to Urgent care and got a steroid injection for the pain. I immediately switched to Sensodyne toothpaste and no allergic reaction from this brand at all.

Original review: June 10, 2022

Have purchased Colgate Total toothpaste for years but lately, the tubes contain excessive air. The price has not been reduced but the tube content certainly has. Another large corporation governed by greed. Will be switching to another brand of toothpaste. Sad.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Been using Colgate for decades. When I first bought this tube I kept wondering why my mouth burned and tingled more than usual after a Colgate brushing. After a few weeks the inside of my mouth felt really raw with a dry sandpaper texture. Could barely taste my food. Thought it was destroying my taste buds! My lips were also swollen and peeling on the inside. Rinsing with water after brushing seemed to make it even worse and was so painful! I am afraid to buy anymore Colgate as this is NOT NORMAL!! Switching to Tom's fluoride free anti-cavity whitening peppermint toothpaste for now. Very disappointed.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I have used the optic white paste before without issues. However, recently I switched to Crest and when that was gone went back to Colgate optic white this time the mint gel instead of the white paste. My mouth started developing tiny white spots on the inside of my lips and my tongue has been raw and on fire and throat discomfort the minute I try to brush with this toothpaste that has been lingering for days.. I had none of these issues while using the crest so I know it is the toothpaste. I have also used the older brand of colgate baking soda and peroxide toothpaste (not optic white). Just the normal cheap version of colgate and it did the exact same thing I am experiencing now with this optic white gel. Never again! It needs to be recalled and removed from the shelves immediately.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Colgate Total was my go to toothpaste. I used to have bad gingivitis. I flossed but it just never went away. Then I tried Colgate total with triclosan. My gingivitis cleared up completely. I had stocked up on the toothpaste and just now found out they removed triclosan. Can we not make our OWN decisions about our OWN health!? I was well aware it was a "questionable" ingredient but I can't afford to go to dentist. So I will NEVER buy colgate again! Plus their new total sucks... It's gross and my gums are swollen and bleeding again. I'm buying Crest products only now!!

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information