1.23/5
Based on 333 reviews that contain star ratings

349 Colgate Toothpaste Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 26, 2019

I don’t have any particular brand when it comes to toothpaste but recently I've purchased Colgate Vedshakti (Ayurvedic) and got a complaint from my son that he feel thirsty after brushing and I had the same feeling. I just ignored it and keep using it until I got sores on the tip of my tongue (burning sensation), ulcers under my tongue and got metallic taste every time I eat, too painful and I can’t even talked properly. I feel irritated, can’t eat. We stop using it for a while until I found this site and clarified my doubt. After reading the consumers review I finally come to know that I am not the only person having this kind of experience. It’s horrible.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Everybody please be careful, don't buy any product of this brand, especially toothpaste, which contains sodium fluoride - it's poison and causes cancer. Please, be so so careful. Especially don't give to use this product to your kids.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

The top that the toothpaste comes out of keeps clogging and it’s annoying to have to keep taking the top off to get the toothpaste out. Please correct this problem. I love Colgate but this problem will make me switch to another brand if it is not corrected.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

After using for 4 days my tongue and inside my mouth feels burnt, I have small blistered and it’s hard to swallow. I have not had this with other Colgate products before, only the Max White. It got progressively worse the more I used it over the few days.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I started using the Colgate Pro sensitive toothpaste for painful sensitivity in my front tooth. I noticed my lips on the inside felt a bit swollen but didn't pay much attention. Over the next week or so it seemed to get worse but I didn't link it to the toothpaste. I got up this morning and I looked like I'd been smacked in the mouth! I couldn't speak properly. I got medical advice and antihistamines which helped. I'd never have thought that toothpaste can cause a reaction like this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I began using Colgate Optic White toothpaste on Tues. Feb. 5th and the very next day, I noticed pain and what felt like swelling in the middle of my tongue. After closer examination, I saw were tiny red blisters on my tongue. Not suspecting the toothpaste, I used it for one more day, but quickly realized the toothpaste was the cause and was the only change I'd made in my oral routine. The blisters are still on my tongue and haven't seemed to get any better. I threw the toothpaste in the garbage, but I wonder which ingredient(s) are causing this bad allergic-like reaction.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I bought this toothpaste a week ago. I only rinsed minimally after brushing for maximum effect (which I would not recommend). One night I woke with very painful feeling in my left jaw. I didn’t put it down to the toothpaste. Last night I experienced pain in my right jaw and under my cheekbone and my head was throbbing like the worst dehydration headache ever. I couldn’t move my head without severe pain and was contemplating going to hospital but when I laid very still it was tolerable so given that it was the middle of the night and I was alone I stayed in bed. I was worried that a blood vessel was going to burst in my brain.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Ever since I started using this product my teeth ache and throb. I have used 1 tube so far and about a quarter of another tube. When I started using it the taste was nasty but I kept using it. I figured it was working the way it was advertised. Just deal with the horrible taste. Now my teeth ache and I’m in pain. I have never experienced this before. Please do not use this tooth paste. The pain is not worth white teeth.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Today I purchased a "Colgate Slim Soft Charcoal" toothbrush from Training Command Air Force canteen, Hebbal, Bangalore. There should be three number of toothbrush in the package but there was only two. The box was not tampered. It was sealed. Colgate should take measures while packing. Packed area: Vivajay Brushes (Goa), Pilerne - 403511. Coding area: '29 M1 21:53'.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have been using Colgate Total and have become itchy all over and skin rash on me in various places, I was laid awake because of said itching last night and was thinking about what I use that could cause it, the one thing that was different was a new electric toothbrush and Total, I will stop using today and bin it and use a different make. See how that goes from today, thanks for this sit. Very helpful.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I tried Optic White the day before Christmas Eve, in the morning. By lunchtime my lip felt very strange. By 6 pm it had swollen a bit. Over the course of the next hour it doubled in size. I spent 3 hours in emergency waiting to see the Dr, who prescribed steroids. It took four days to go down. I looked like a clown on Christmas Day. What the hell is in this toothpaste?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Why is nothing being done about this toxic company and all the harm it is causing. The Chemicals in the toothpaste are very harmful, and should be banned but yet they still sell it. WHY? My teeth are ruined from this product and I want retribution, And Compensation. You want more read the customer complaints that seem to be ignored by Colgate! My next step will be a class action lawsuit against said company. And my Dentist for not saying anything about this product and its harm. Who knows what other problems are caused by this product and company.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I purchased Colgate's baking soda & peroxide toothpaste several months ago and started brushing with it every day. After about 2-3 weeks I developed a painful blister on the right side of my lower lip. At first I didn't make the connection with the toothpaste and thought it was a cold sore. But then I noticed that when I brushed my teeth, the toothpaste tended to drip on the same side of my lips where the blister had developed. I had followed the directions using toothpaste the size of a pea. When I made the connection, I immediately stopped using the product and the blister healed. I am appalled that this product was approved by the health department!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

DO NOT USE ANY COLGATE PRODUCTS!!! I am a healthy 26 year old female, with no serious medical history and for the last 3 weeks I have had multiple doctor visits to the ENT, Urgent care and at it’s worst the ER. I have missed multiple days at work. All my blood tests, and imaging had come back normal leaving doctors stunned and confused because of the amount of swelling/pain in my cheeks, jaw, migraine headaches starting in the back of my head, neck pain/swelling and ear pressure/ringing that came on so suddenly. Even when my primary care physician had saw me by week 3 she thought that I had parotitis (inflammation of the parotid glands in the cheeks) that has caused infection, because my cheeks were extremely swollen/painful especially on the left side.

I developed a small lump on the left cheek and it was to the point that I could not sleep on either side of my face and was using a neck pillow that a hole in the middle so that there was no pressure on the sides of my face. But she was STILL confused as to why I would have developed this considering all my tests were normal and I am vaccinated. She prescribed antibiotics, recommended an antihistamine and **. It wasn't until I started to develop sores in my mouth that I thought about the fact that I had started using the Colgate Max Whitening toothpaste right before this started happening and was using it still. I immediately switched, the sores are already starting to go away.

When I started reading the reviews from other people today I knew for sure that it was this toothpaste that caused so much pain, suffering and money in doctors’ visits and medicines for me the last few weeks. This is not the first time a Colgate product gave me a reaction. I remember a few years back I had used a Colgate whitening mouthwash that had gave me sores in my mouth and sore throats.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

For couple months I used Colgate Optic White, my tongue was burning. I saw my doctor and a specialist and they told me that my tongue is extremely irritated! I cannot taste the same and it's burning... I stopped using this product for few days and slowly heals (I did a blood test, 2 doctors, I thought I had herpes or liver problems). Don't buy this product!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I bought Optic White with the hopes of having whiter teeth not blisters and mouth sores. I'll let the pics speak for themselves. My mouth is blistered and my teeth hurt terribly. Shame on you Colgate!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have only used this toothpaste for 3 days and my mouth hurts and burn, I can’t eat normally because of the pain. My gums are raw and I’m just miserable, my dentist gave me this toothpaste sample. I can’t believe this product is on the market.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I used this toothpaste (Colgate Max White) 4 times and my gums were blood red and so sore that I could not eat. Cold water only reduced the pain when washing it around my mouth. It has been over a week now since I stopped using it and I am still in some discomfort. Someone needs to sue them and get this product off the market or at the very least cover the packaging in warning signs.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I have periodontitis. I bought Colgate Total on sale and because it is supposed to be good for your teeth and gums. My gums started becoming inflamed and stinging. I discovered that this toothpaste contains Triclosan, an ingredient that is unhealthy and can even cause illness and poisoning. I've used over half the tube before learning about what Triclosan is and that it has been the cause of my gum discomfort. I stopped using this product but the damage is done!!!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I started brushing with Optic White a week ago. Within one day everything started tasting weird. Cottonmouth and a very sharp, bitter taste reaching to the back of my tongue. Of course I hit the internet to look for reasons of sudden onset bitterness and was mortified to find answers like DEMENTIA, PARKINSON'S, CIRRHOSIS of the liver, etc. Nice. One of my supreme pleasures is trying out craft beers from around the world and all of a sudden they tasted like KRYPTONITE. Gee thanks, Colgate! This is day two of NOT using Optic White and my Heineken still tastes like bong water. Thank God for this site. Misery loves company. Hopefully, all will return to normal. Why is this poison still be sold? Colgate SUCKS!

Original review: June 21, 2018

Colgate baking soda and peroxide - I used for 1 week, it burned the side of my mouth. Then I got ulcers. Could not any with crunch or berries or citrus. It really hurt to eat anything. Don't try. Just TRASH IT.

Original review: May 11, 2018

After going through about a half a tube of Optic White I finally stopped using it. Just like everyone else I never thought it would be toothpaste causing my gums, under my tongue, and the entire inside of my mouth to burn and have ulcers. I switched back to Sensodyne 2 days ago and feeling better already but not yet healed. Colgate is TRASH!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Started using Colgate Total Toothpaste daily in 1998. Started having vague symptoms of illness in 2001. Mouth has sores and my teeth with light brushing have receded horribly. My left kidney has atrophied and this occurred is for no known reason. I didn't make the connection to the ingredient that has recently been banned in soaps and other health products. Currently, I am lethargic, stomach is full and fat, teeth and gums ache all the time. I go to the dentist twice a year and have a perfect check up and cleaning. The MD says nothing is wrong with me. For the past year, I am so thirsty, I drink 2 gallons a day. All labs are normal. I have all the symptoms that triclosan presented in the lab rat studies. I think Colgate has poisoned my system. I would urge no one to use Colgate Total. We are guinea pigs for this corporate giant who is feeding us poison.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I have been using the Colgate Total toothpastes. The gel mostly and I like the fresh mint flavor, however I have had several experiences of EXTREME DRY MOUTH, especially when I brush my teeth right before bed. It is so uncomfortable to have such a high level of dryness no matter how much water I drink. I even have a bottle of water next to my bed but it doesn't help. That's how much the toothpaste strips the moisture out of my mouth. I didn't realize how bad this has become over time every time I use the toothpaste. I did notice that this particular toothpaste does have Triclosan too. Sigh. After reading all of these reviews, I tossed my toothpaste and will get another brand from now on.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have been using this product for the past few months. On/Off with Crest. On the evenings that I use only Colgate Optic white, I have noticed the following morning the inside of my gums have a white peel that I remove with my finger. And my tongue has a weird feeling. I'm not sure what is in this toothpaste but I will be throwing it away after reading the other reviews. This is a horrible product.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I started using Colgate Total toothpaste in late August. By the beginning of September I started to feel cold and developed bad heartburn, consistently would have nausea allergic to a lot of food and dairy, leaky gut syndrome, candida overgrowth, shingles, constipation, unable to sleep properly, muscle spasms, having teeth trouble caused by the acid reflux, lost a lot of weight. The hardest bit has been missing out doing a lot of things I want to do and the amount of money it has cost me. I hope to get back to my full health by Christmas, start eating normal and start living my life again. Colgate-Palmolive company need to be sued and anyone else that uses triclosan in their products???

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

We are a dental office and when we placed an order, we told them when we would need the supplies by. They kept telling me that it would be on time but it came after our event and they won't even give any concessions for their screw up. I tried to hold for the manager but they kept hanging up on me. I finally told them to just call me because I can't sit on the phone waiting for hours and calling back after they hang up on me. We will never order from them again.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

I have been using Colgate Total forever and recently ran out so thought I would try Advanced Whitening because it was on sale. Within 2 days I began experiencing gum irritation until 4 days after switching. I stopped using the Advanced Whitening toothpaste. This product should, at a minimum, carry a warning that it may cause gum irritation. I don’t understand why this product is even being sold. It is not possible that it was tested on a large sample of people without anyone experiencing gum sensitivity. Going back to Crest...

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I have been using Colgate Total for about 2 weeks when I felt some bumps on the inside of my lip. When I went to the mirror I was shocked. The entire lower part of my mouth looked like it had white dead skin with red bumps underneath. White dead skin similar to the skin of a blister. This white dead skin was sloughing even between my lower teeth. I didn't know what to do so I call my dentist. He was in an emergency so I went to my neighbor that was a retired dentist. They told me to discontinue Colgate immediately and rinse hourly with warm salt water. This product should not be on the market.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have been using Colgate Optic White toothpaste, and originally thought I was having an allergic reaction to something else, however after I stopped using it and started using it again, I ended up with red swollen and blistered lips. It Burns almost like my lips were burned with a match. This product needs to be recalled and stopped being sold. I am considering getting an attorney to file a lawsuit.

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information