2. Shopping
  3. Personal Care Products

4.0/5 (512 ratings)

About Colgate Toothpaste

Colgate Toothpaste Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Been using Colgate for decades. When I first bought this tube I kept wondering why my mouth burned and tingled more than usual after a Colgate brushing. After a few weeks the inside of my mouth felt really raw with a dry sandpaper texture. Could barely taste my food. Thought it was destroying my taste buds! My lips were also swollen and peeling on the inside. Rinsing with water after brushing seemed to make it even worse and was so painful! I am afraid to buy anymore Colgate as this is NOT NORMAL!! Switching to Tom's fluoride free anti-cavity whitening peppermint toothpaste for now. Very disappointed.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I have used the optic white paste before without issues. However, recently I switched to Crest and when that was gone went back to Colgate optic white this time the mint gel instead of the white paste. My mouth started developing tiny white spots on the inside of my lips and my tongue has been raw and on fire and throat discomfort the minute I try to brush with this toothpaste that has been lingering for days.. I had none of these issues while using the crest so I know it is the toothpaste. I have also used the older brand of colgate baking soda and peroxide toothpaste (not optic white). Just the normal cheap version of colgate and it did the exact same thing I am experiencing now with this optic white gel. Never again! It needs to be recalled and removed from the shelves immediately.

Get buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Colgate Total was my go to toothpaste. I used to have bad gingivitis. I flossed but it just never went away. Then I tried Colgate total with triclosan. My gingivitis cleared up completely. I had stocked up on the toothpaste and just now found out they removed triclosan. Can we not make our OWN decisions about our OWN health!? I was well aware it was a "questionable" ingredient but I can't afford to go to dentist. So I will NEVER buy colgate again! Plus their new total sucks... It's gross and my gums are swollen and bleeding again. I'm buying Crest products only now!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Used Colgate for many years, recently noted the salty/metallic aftertaste in my water city provides. I was blaming that city salting the roads too much in our days, and run off ending up in the water reservoirs where water is being taken from. But then I have tried to wash mouth with bottled water - same thing. Now I could not get rid of salty taste coming out of my gums and tooth whenever I lick them. Found this thread about toothpaste and everything is cleared up now - it is a Colgate toothpaste!!! Gums were swollen for a year now. Stopping using it starting today. Do not use it!!! Stay away if you feel salt.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Been using Colgate total gel toothpaste for years with no problems. But a few months ago, I noticed my gums, lips, and tongue being sore, with very dry mouth. I noticed my toothpaste tube said *new flavor*. Who would suspect the toothpaste, but - it got worse over time, and one night, my tongue swelled up and I had trouble swallowing and was choking on my own saliva, and had to go to ER. My tongue had cracks in it. I thought I had COVID or something. They even tested me for COVID. (I was negative.) The ER told me I had a reaction to a food or drink.

Afterwards, I thought through what could cause this, and my Colgate new flavor toothpaste got swapped out for Crest with Scope Gel. Well, within a day, my gums, tongue, and throat started to feel better, with no dry mouth aftertaste. It took a full week for my mouth to recover, but who would have guessed it was my toothpaste?! COLGATE - YOU WERE POISONING ME WITH THIS *NEW FLAVOR!* DO NOT USE COLGATE! I have no idea which ingredient they changed but it is horrible. They can pay for my ER bill. I am now a Crest user with no mouth issues. Who is looking out for us consumers anymore??

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I'm user of Colgate tooth paste. When started using tooth paste taste different like I feel sour taste and after my skin has swollen and wounds are formed in sides of mouth and on tongue. It's difficult to eat.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I was a loyal Colgate Total user but recently, I am facing issues after using it. My lips get swollen and my mouth pains after using the new Colgate SF. Why did Colgate do this to their customers? Why change something that was working well?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I bought the Colgate toothpaste, the one with Tartar control, and it made me feel awful. This is outrageous. When I attempted to contact them about this, they put me on hold and played "Every Breath You Take", but it was the version with Sting. It made me piss. I will not be buying from Colgate ever again.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I have no idea what Colgate have added to the "Total New Flavor", but it has left my gums sore, the inside of my lips on fire and swollen and my lips severely dry!! DO NOT BUY THIS TOOTHPASTE!!!! I wish I could give it 0 stars because this product is horrific! What the heck did you add to this new flavor Colgate????

Original review: July 7, 2020

DO NOT BUY COLGATE TOTAL SF!!! So I was a loyal Colgate Total toothpaste user from my late teens. Loved Total toothpaste as I wouldn't get that icky teeth feeling till my next brushing. Bought a 2 pack of the Colgate Total SF (sensitive formula) a couple of months ago not realizing that the formula was different. OH MY GOSH I cannot explain the excruciating pain in my whole mouth after using this.

I honestly didn't even think it was the toothpaste doing this and used it for several weeks. My inner cheek skin and the roof part of my mouth was literally peeling off (like when you drink something scalding hot), my gums were inflamed and started to bleed, and got blisters around my gums/ under my tongue/in front of my teeth even where the lower lip and gum connects (that blister on that connector part was insanely painful!) ! I really thought I had the coronavirus or a disease/infection in my mouth. I couldn't eat anything except mashed and bland food.

The day when the blisters felt like hell I couldn't get in touch with my dentist bc of the covid shutdown. I cried to my husband and told him I was in so much pain. I was popping ** like crazy and using ** all over my mouth. He told me to try and switch to his (other brand) toothpaste and to see if that would help. I had told him that I've been using this Total toothpaste forever. That's when I looked at the tube to see if anything was different and noticed it said SF next to Total on the tube.

This is the WORST toothpaste ever!!!! Sensitive Formula??? No freaking way!! Exact opposite! I just called Colgate and complained and they told me that they haven't received any complaints about the Total SF formula. That has to be a TOTAL LIE (pun intended) as I just saw all the negative reviews with similar reactions on here! Umm class action lawsuit? I'm sooo angry and upset! Colgate you so lost me as a loyal consumer! WARNING TO EVERYONE READING THIS NOT TO USE COLGATE TOTAL SF!!!

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information