3.3/5 (1777 ratings)

About Colgate Toothpaste

Colgate Toothpaste Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I experienced a terrible reaction after brushing my teeth with Colgate Total SF toothpaste- Not my original toothpaste formula. I usually buy Colgate Total and I have been using that brand for over five years faithfully. I didn’t realize that it had an SF Toothpaste. It started out with a funny feeling to my lips and gums - a tingle. The taste was minty with a cool flavor along with swelling and redness. I literally sat there in my bed watching my lips go from normal to gigantic within 30 minutes of brushing my teeth. I sent a selfie to a family member. She gave me Benadryl to take for the swelling. The following morning I noticed my lips looked much better than the previous night. I continue to take the Benadryl for the allergy.

Curious about the symptoms of toothpaste allergic reaction. I searched the web for any information pertaining to my condition. I found this website with reviews on the subject of toothpaste allergic reactions. I knew then I was not alone with the symptoms I was experiencing. The swelling of my lips finally reduced to normal size but the pain was unbearable. The next day I went to Urgent care and got a steroid injection for the pain. I immediately switched to Sensodyne toothpaste and no allergic reaction from this brand at all.

Original review: June 10, 2022

Have purchased Colgate Total toothpaste for years but lately, the tubes contain excessive air. The price has not been reduced but the tube content certainly has. Another large corporation governed by greed. Will be switching to another brand of toothpaste. Sad.

Get buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

Been using Colgate for decades. When I first bought this tube I kept wondering why my mouth burned and tingled more than usual after a Colgate brushing. After a few weeks the inside of my mouth felt really raw with a dry sandpaper texture. Could barely taste my food. Thought it was destroying my taste buds! My lips were also swollen and peeling on the inside. Rinsing with water after brushing seemed to make it even worse and was so painful! I am afraid to buy anymore Colgate as this is NOT NORMAL!! Switching to Tom's fluoride free anti-cavity whitening peppermint toothpaste for now. Very disappointed.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I have used the optic white paste before without issues. However, recently I switched to Crest and when that was gone went back to Colgate optic white this time the mint gel instead of the white paste. My mouth started developing tiny white spots on the inside of my lips and my tongue has been raw and on fire and throat discomfort the minute I try to brush with this toothpaste that has been lingering for days.. I had none of these issues while using the crest so I know it is the toothpaste. I have also used the older brand of colgate baking soda and peroxide toothpaste (not optic white). Just the normal cheap version of colgate and it did the exact same thing I am experiencing now with this optic white gel. Never again! It needs to be recalled and removed from the shelves immediately.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

Colgate Total was my go to toothpaste. I used to have bad gingivitis. I flossed but it just never went away. Then I tried Colgate total with triclosan. My gingivitis cleared up completely. I had stocked up on the toothpaste and just now found out they removed triclosan. Can we not make our OWN decisions about our OWN health!? I was well aware it was a "questionable" ingredient but I can't afford to go to dentist. So I will NEVER buy colgate again! Plus their new total sucks... It's gross and my gums are swollen and bleeding again. I'm buying Crest products only now!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Used Colgate for many years, recently noted the salty/metallic aftertaste in my water city provides. I was blaming that city salting the roads too much in our days, and run off ending up in the water reservoirs where water is being taken from. But then I have tried to wash mouth with bottled water - same thing. Now I could not get rid of salty taste coming out of my gums and tooth whenever I lick them. Found this thread about toothpaste and everything is cleared up now - it is a Colgate toothpaste!!! Gums were swollen for a year now. Stopping using it starting today. Do not use it!!! Stay away if you feel salt.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Been using Colgate total gel toothpaste for years with no problems. But a few months ago, I noticed my gums, lips, and tongue being sore, with very dry mouth. I noticed my toothpaste tube said *new flavor*. Who would suspect the toothpaste, but - it got worse over time, and one night, my tongue swelled up and I had trouble swallowing and was choking on my own saliva, and had to go to ER. My tongue had cracks in it. I thought I had COVID or something. They even tested me for COVID. (I was negative.) The ER told me I had a reaction to a food or drink.

Afterwards, I thought through what could cause this, and my Colgate new flavor toothpaste got swapped out for Crest with Scope Gel. Well, within a day, my gums, tongue, and throat started to feel better, with no dry mouth aftertaste. It took a full week for my mouth to recover, but who would have guessed it was my toothpaste?! COLGATE - YOU WERE POISONING ME WITH THIS *NEW FLAVOR!* DO NOT USE COLGATE! I have no idea which ingredient they changed but it is horrible. They can pay for my ER bill. I am now a Crest user with no mouth issues. Who is looking out for us consumers anymore??

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

I'm user of Colgate tooth paste. When started using tooth paste taste different like I feel sour taste and after my skin has swollen and wounds are formed in sides of mouth and on tongue. It's difficult to eat.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

I was a loyal Colgate Total user but recently, I am facing issues after using it. My lips get swollen and my mouth pains after using the new Colgate SF. Why did Colgate do this to their customers? Why change something that was working well?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I bought the Colgate toothpaste, the one with Tartar control, and it made me feel awful. This is outrageous. When I attempted to contact them about this, they put me on hold and played "Every Breath You Take", but it was the version with Sting. It made me piss. I will not be buying from Colgate ever again.

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information