Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5

Colgate Toothpaste Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: July 7, 2020

DO NOT BUY COLGATE TOTAL SF!!! So I was a loyal Colgate Total toothpaste user from my late teens. Loved Total toothpaste as I wouldn't get that icky teeth feeling till my next brushing. Bought a 2 pack of the Colgate Total SF (sensitive formula) a couple of months ago not realizing that the formula was different. OH MY GOSH I cannot explain the excruciating pain in my whole mouth after using this.

I honestly didn't even think it was the toothpaste doing this and used it for several weeks. My inner cheek skin and the roof part of my mouth was literally peeling off (like when you drink something scalding hot), my gums were inflamed and started to bleed, and got blisters around my gums/ under my tongue/in front of my teeth even where the lower lip and gum connects (that blister on that connector part was insanely painful!) ! I really thought I had the coronavirus or a disease/infection in my mouth. I couldn't eat anything except mashed and bland food.

The day when the blisters felt like hell I couldn't get in touch with my dentist bc of the covid shutdown. I cried to my husband and told him I was in so much pain. I was popping ** like crazy and using ** all over my mouth. He told me to try and switch to his (other brand) toothpaste and to see if that would help. I had told him that I've been using this Total toothpaste forever. That's when I looked at the tube to see if anything was different and noticed it said SF next to Total on the tube.

This is the WORST toothpaste ever!!!! Sensitive Formula??? No freaking way!! Exact opposite! I just called Colgate and complained and they told me that they haven't received any complaints about the Total SF formula. That has to be a TOTAL LIE (pun intended) as I just saw all the negative reviews with similar reactions on here! Umm class action lawsuit? I'm sooo angry and upset! Colgate you so lost me as a loyal consumer! WARNING TO EVERYONE READING THIS NOT TO USE COLGATE TOTAL SF!!!

Original review: July 6, 2020

OMG... Now I know what has happened to my mouth and lips. Blisters, sores, burning, pain and more from this toothpaste. High anxiety not knowing what was causing this. I even had two COVID tests thinking that was the culprit but both tests negative. Drinking water like crazy thinking I was dehydrated. Worried I had de eloped diabetes. Hurts to eat and drink bottled water. I am so mad at Colgate for doing this to me. No warning on toothpaste tube or box.

Get buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2020

After regular use of this Colgate Total SF toothpaste, my wife and I both experienced pain in our mouth, a tightness feeling, and blisters behind our lower loop. After changing toothpastes it went away. I don't know which of the 20 ingredients is causing this but I won't be using again. Hopefully Costco takes back the 5-pack.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I wish I could give this 0 stars. I switched to this toothpaste because it was the cheapest 3pack at the store. 2 days into using it my gums became extremely swollen where it hurt to just breathe. I stopped using it and my dentist put me on some antihistamine mouthwash and the swelling has finally gone down a bit. I’m now seeing a bit of peeling as my gums are getting better but they still look super raw. I’ve never had any problems with my teeth and now I’m freaking out. I can barely eat. Please whatever you do, do NOT buy this product. Colgate you have caused me so much pain and fear.

Original review: June 9, 2020

This Colgate Total toothpaste is the worst tasting toothpaste ever and I’m not choosy. I’ve used natural licorice toothpaste that tasted better than this. I can’t figure out what they’ve called this flavor. It says “advanced clean between” and the end of the tube is green. My daughter says it tastes like cardboard. My son asked if it was expired and says it tastes slightly like mushrooms. I’m going with perfume and mint mixed together. Please, please, please don’t buy this toothpaste.

Original review: April 26, 2020

That was intensely bad. Just brushed my teeth and I've rinsed my mouth out three times. Colgate has clearly screwed up a batch or something because there is no way that went through taste testing. I'd advise a recall.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I’ve been a Colgate toothpaste user for 30+ years and have been extremely pleased with their products until now. It took me a week to figure out that my burning tongue was a result of this “New Flavor” toothpaste. The burning lasts a couple minutes and the taste is just awful. I thought maybe it was a bad tube so I bought a couple more and they too are awful and caused my tongue to burn. This is enough for me to say goodbye to Colgate and now I have gone to Crest. Crest will be my toothpaste from now on.

Original review: April 18, 2020

We've been using Colgate Total Advanced Deep clean for years. This new version is awful. Burns your entire mouth, causes swelling, and tastes horrible. I don't know how this passed consumer testing or even internal testing for that matter. We thought maybe it was just us but out of my family of four no one can use it without an adverse reaction. I hate to throw it away but I can't donate it without feeling guilty that someone else could be harmed by it. Colgate really dropped the ball on this one. We've been dedicated users since the product first launched - it's a shame we have to find something new to use now.

Original review: March 8, 2020

*I have never bothered to review a product online, ever. *I have been a loyal Colgate user for 50+ years. After today, I can never claim either of those again. The new Colgate SF is the worst tasting toothpaste I have ever experienced! Unlike the other reviews, I did not suffer any ill effects, but that's because I threw the entire tube in the trash after using only twice! The taste is absolutely HORRIBLE!! I refuse to purchase any Colgate product unless/until they offer the "regular" Colgate Total as an alternative to the new SF formula. I'm not asking them to do away with SF, but rather let me choose between the two. Until then, they have lost me (and my dollars) as a loyal brand consumer. Wake up and listen, Colgate. Please!!

Original review: March 4, 2020

Been trying to figure out why, whenever I brush with this new tube of toothpaste now, it tastes awful, like I have bleach, or peroxide, or something in my mouth, my mouth has been so dry, raw, blistering, my gums sore, my tongue hurting... They changed the toothpaste!! Nobody can leave ANYTHING alone! I can't use this now! Been using this toothpaste faithfully for years and years! Not anymore! My mouth feels horrible! I am absolutely horrified reading so many reviews detailing exactly what I've experienced, and this toothpaste is still on store shelves! If I could give them ZERO stars, I would! So disappointed!

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information