1.09/5

379 Colgate Toothpaste Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 17, 2019

The new product is very disappointing and disgusting. HORRIBLE taste and it lingers in the mouth. Not fresh at all. Upset that I bought a triple pack and that only the tubes inside of box state new flavor. Not good Colgate!!

Original review: June 15, 2019

I tried this product and used it for about a month. I realized that I lost my taste buds about 2 weeks ago! I’m a cook. Therefore, I need to know what the food I’m making tastes like. This isn’t good for myself & business.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Care Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I really liked my last tube of Colgate Total. The taste was great and my teeth felt especially clean. But when I learned it had Triclosan in it, I was glad to read that Colgate was changing the formula. So I happily bought the new Total SF, but I hate it. It does not taste good, it does not clean my teeth well, it makes my mouth feel very dry, and it makes me very thirsty. Hard to believe Colgate would make such a dud of a toothpaste. And I bought five of them to get a better deal. Ugh...

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have used Colgate all my life. Bought toothpaste not noticing that it now has SF. Tongue and inside of mouth very sore. Taste is horrible and lingers on forever. Had to rinse with mouthwash. Will have to switch to another brand.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I bought this a while back and both my daughters came out in blisters on their lips and their lips swelled up. One of my daughters went to doctors because her lip was so bad and they said it was a allergic reaction. Surely this should be taken off the shelves. Didn’t know there is so many people that this has happened to.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: May 31, 2019

I noticed a couple of months ago that Colgate had switched the flavors, and I really did not like the taste of new ones. About 2 weeks ago I started having the worst sores/dryness/swelling in my mouth. I’ve used Colgate for years and loved it. So I didn’t realize this horrible feeling going on in my mouth was due to it until I started doing some research. The new formulas are awful! Don’t buy it!

Original review: May 28, 2019

I am a dental hygienist. I use and recommend Colgate to all my patients. I stopped using Crest when they started using Stannous Fluoride because of tissue sloughing. Now, Colgate has added it in response to unnecessary fear about Triclosan in toothpaste. I did not realize they had changed until my bottom lip swelled and I had tiny abrasions on my lip and tongue. It burned and hurt to eat anything acidic. I had this same reaction to a recent Sensodyne toothpaste (that also changed to Stannous Fluoride). Lo and behold, Stannous Fluoride is now an ingredient in Colgate Total. I can not in good conscience recommend this toothpaste to patients knowing the horrible side effects first-hand. So sad that a wonderful product has been destroyed.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Like others, I started using the new SF formulation of Colgate Total and developed sores (felt like canker sores) on the inside of my bottom lip and the feeling like I had a hundred little cuts all over my tongue. Made eating and drinking very uncomfortable. Took me several weeks to realize it was the toothpaste (had a new baby around the same time, so was focused on other things), but then realized that the new toothpaste was the only change to my oral care over the previous few weeks. Switched to Tom's and all problems disappeared within two days. I don't understand how this stuff is on the market. I have used Colgate all my life but I'll never buy Colgate products again and will be spreading the word as best I can.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I purchased this toothpaste and after one day the inside of my lips broke out in blisters and the underside of my tongue is raw. It’s very painful! I scoured the internet to see if anyone else had the same reaction and although it sucks that others have, I’m glad it wasn’t just me! I am honestly shocked because I’ve been using Colgate my entire life with absolutely no issues. This is going in the garbage ASAP!

Original review: May 20, 2019

Within 24 hours of using the new formula, the inside of my cheek was peeling and the outside is so swollen that it looks as if I’ve been sucker punched in my face, minus the bruises. We have used Colgate for over 20 years and never had a problem. This new formula is JUNK!

Original review: May 18, 2019

Deplorable stuff. This stuff is poison. I bought this product 5 weeks ago and within a couple of days my lips started itching and peeling. They are red, swollen and it goes beyond my lips by 1/4". I want fuller lips but not like this. I thought it was due to pollen as I'd done some outside work and saw lots of pollen flying. Holy Spirit told me to check online about the toothpaste. I had NO Idea!!!! I have stopped using this toothpaste and my lips are feeling much better. It's only been a day.

Original review: May 16, 2019

A few months ago, SF was added to Colgate Total toothpaste without me realizing it. After about a week of using it, the inside of my bottom lip began to swell and develop blisters, and my tongue swelled up too. I initially did not think it was the toothpaste because my husband had no reaction. After two weeks of enduring that, I stopped using it and found some of the original Colgate Total toothpaste in another store. Once I went back to the normal toothpaste for a few weeks, the problem went away. Well, I ran out of the good stuff and could only find the new SF in the stores so I gave it another try. No issues for 3 days then tonight, the swelling and pain came back! So I decided to search online to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issue and here it is! I feel so much better knowing it's not just me. This toothpaste is awful and I will never use it again!

Original review: May 16, 2019

I have been buying Colgate Total plus whitening for years now. I recently bought the newer package that had SF on it and just figured it was a package change. Within a week, I began with throbbing in my upper gums and had to take **. A few days later, a horrible burning and blisters with small blood patches were on my gums and mucosal lining of my mouth (inside of cheeks, back of my throat, under my tongue). Any food eaten with spices or acids caused tremendous pain and burning. I have never had any issues with my mouth before and attributed it to the change with the paste.

I decided to google it and lots of other similar complaints have been voiced. The taste of the paste is horrible also. I found some of the older packaged toothpaste that I’ve always used and stocked up for now. The first day off of the SF paste feels much better (aside from a healing mouth with mild pain). I plan to contact the company and return the other box of SF paste to the store! Do NOT use!! The chemicals are too strong in the SF paste!

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have used Colgate toothpaste all my life - very happily - and in the last 10 years Colgate Total either the original or the mint flavour. My gums and teeth were kept free from nerve sensitivity on top of a very good clean - and never had a problem. Almost two weeks ago, I purchased the 'new' packaged Colgate Total. After the first try I didn't really like the slight change in taste and texture but figured I would adjust... gradually, my gums and some teeth started to feel far too sensitive, my mouth was not feeling the same fresh clean that I always took for granted daily before.

Today, I went to independent shops that still had some of the discontinued line and stocked up - I don't know what to do after that. Your entire line of fancy marketing/packaging has the 'new' anti-bacterial ingredient replacement. It's horrible and I can never buy Colgate toothpaste again as long as that 'new' ingredient is in the product. After over 40 years as a loyal consumer I'm very very disappointed. Penelope **

Original review: May 10, 2019

My husband and I are long time users of Colgate toothpaste. Due to aging teeth, we first switched to Crest Whitening toothpaste to try something new, which stripped our mouths of gum tissue. So we decided to invest in Colgate Deep Clean toothpaste, and loved how it took care of our teeth! But sometime around the new year of 2019, their packaging changed; I noticed sometime in March 2019 my tongue had felt liked I had burnt it. The next day the entire inside of my mouth felt like it had been burnt; making it very sensitive and difficult to eat.

My dentist in the past had said it's the stripping of gum tissue that causes this feeling. I switched to a sensitive toothpaste for healing purposes, and then went back to the Colgate Deep Clean to confirm it was the toothpaste. Within one day my tongue started feeling raw again! My husband informed me that Colgate had changed their formula along with their packaging. Since this experience, he is now experiencing the same 'raw' feeling in his mouth. It's a shame, because we used to really like this toothpaste and encouraged others to use it. Not anymore!!!

Original review: May 10, 2019

My wife and I are long long time customers of Colgate toothpaste and both hate the new flavor. Waste of money since I bought 2 double pack boxes because I didn’t notice the small new flavor label. We threw all four tubes out. It tasted so bad. Overall not what I expected, not satisfied, and kind of annoyed at the waste of money.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I had a perfect dentition and never had sores in mouth all my life. I purchased Colgate Optic white here in Nigeria and used it for 1 week. Just one week, I felt so sick that I thought my life would end. I was cold in mouth, Weak all over, Had Sinusitis, sores inside of cheek and roof of mouth and a swollen lymph node around my neck. I took treatments for malaria and antibiotics. I noticed I got sicker anytime I used it in morning and at night. I made a review of changes I recently made and decided to pause using the toothpaste for a while. After two days, I felt better. My condition improved. I never knew a toothpaste could be this poisonous. It’s kept by the side now. No more brushing for me until further notice. I’m glad I found out on time.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have always had good dental check ups and had very white and healthy teeth. I switched to the new Colgate Total with Stannous Fluoride thinking it would be better for my teeth. When I went to my 6 month check-up my dentist was shocked how stained up and black my teeth had gotten. She told me I was eating chocolate and food that stain my teeth. I almost got into a fight with her because I had not. I told her I switched to Colgate Total and she told me that it had stannous fluoride in it, which stains teeth.

I switched toothpaste back to my old brand and all the staining went away and it has not come back. If you read on the box there is a warning about stannous fluoride which says it will stain teeth, but the Colgate Total claims to keep teeth clean and white. By doing this, they cannot get sued for saying one thing and doing another. DO NOT USE COLGATE TOTAL WITH STANNOUS FLOURIDE OR YOUR TEETH WILL BECOME STAINED AND BLACK.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have never had an allergic reaction to anything in my life. However, just this week I purchased and began to use Colgate Total SF toothpaste. I have been using Colgate products my entire life and never had a problem prior to this. My mouth is covered in sores as well as my tongue and my lips nearly doubled in size. Additionally my gums are bleeding and my teeth hurt. Keep in mind, I have had perfect teeth and gums my entire life... I've only had one cavity in 50 years and my dentist always gives me a glowing report at the end of every 6 month check up. I pray this toothpaste has not done permanent damage to my teeth and gums. Do not buy this product. It is not worth the risk.

Original review: May 3, 2019

This new formula does not leave my mouth feeling fresh at all! There is also an aftertaste of metal that lasts in my mouth all day. Even rinsing with mouthwash doesn't help it go away. I'll be switching to a different toothpaste ASAP!

Original review: April 27, 2019

My husband and I have been using Colgate Total Whitening paste for years and just a few days ago I started a new tube to find that the formula and flavor have changed. I literally gagged on it and then had to use mouthwash to get rid of the terrible flavor. I tried it a few more times with the same result. When I went to Walgreens to try to find my old formula, every tube said "SF" with Stannous Flouride. Very disappointing! I guess I'm going to have to switch to Crest.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have used Colgate Total Whitening for many years quite happily as it tasted fine and left my teeth feeling smooth and clean. It seems they may have now changed the formula as it tastes awful and after brushing my teeth no longer have that smooth, shiny feeling. Am now trying Oral B to see if my brushing experience improves. I really don't like the new Total formula.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I just started to use a new tube of Total toothpaste and noticed a bad aftertaste. I said to myself, "I bet it has zinc in it." I checked the ingredients and sure enough there is zinc oxide as an ingredient.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I just started to use a new tube of Total toothpaste and noticed that I had a bad aftertaste. I suspected the new ingredient was zinc. I checked the ingredients on the tube and sure enough zinc oxide is a new ingredient.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Has the formulation of Colgate Total changed recently? I have been using this product for years without any trouble however the most recent purchase seems to have slightly different packaging and the product has an extremely strong taste which is both unpleasant and lingers all day. It is as if I am permanently brushing my teeth and becomes stronger every time I eat or drink. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think I am going to have to switch to another brand because tasting nothing but toothpaste day and night is miserable.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have used Colgate Total Original for 30 years or so. However, they have just recently completely changed the formula. It is really bad! It now hurts my teeth and gums, feels very harsh on the teeth. Horrible aftertaste. The old formulation cleaned teeth perfectly. Currently trying to find an alternative brand to Colgate, one which is close to the old formula as possible.

Original review: April 21, 2019

We ran out of our normal toothpaste and my partner bought Colgate SF as a filler until she goes shopping. Been using it for a couple of days, but today, within a minute of using it, my bottom lip began to swell; never experienced this before with any other toothpaste. Now my bottom lip is swollen and heavy. What is going on here Colgate? Trying to kill me? But why? What did I do to your company?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have been a faithful user of Colgate for years. I just purchased a tube of the new flavor and am very disappointed. It has a very strong and unpleasant flavor. It leaves an awful aftertaste that lingers for a long time. I can't wait for this tube to be gone so I can switch to another brand.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Bought a tube of Colgate Total a few months but stopped using it because I didn't like the funny taste in my mouth. I ran out of my regular toothpaste last week and found the tube of Total and started using it, forgetting why I had stopped before. I've been having unusual nausea off and on all week, found sores in my mouth, cheek and lower lip, have a gross salty taste in my mouth. I looked at my tube of Total and remembered I didn't like it before. I Googled Colgate Total and found out they out TRICLOSAN in their toothpaste! I can't use any hand soaps or sanitizers with Triclosan because I'm sensitive to it and never would have imagined any company would put it in their toothpaste! I understand Colgate is quietly removing it from their toothpastes now but hell will freeze over before I buy another Colgate product ever again!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I just used some form of Colgate whitening routinely for 8 times total... I noticed my gum bled and stopped. In a few days my teeth were aching so bad they felt like they were about to fall out... It's been maybe 5 days since I stopped and I have burning nostrils and mouth pain... I think the chemical is way too strong. What is going on with Colgate? And how are products still out... I never had a problem with toothpaste my whole life of any brand. I actually feel bad for people who use it for longer than 8 days or who got worst reactions... Can't trust anything anymore. I didn't even want to give it 1 star...

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information