Colgate Toothpaste

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

How can you make more of this terrible product!!! I only used it for two days and now I'm feeling the side effects. My lips are so swollen and chapped with ulcers on the inside of my mouth. I never had an allergic reaction to anything and I am shocked to find out that a toothpaste would cause this much discomfort. It's been 2 days since I used this product and I'm miserable. The company refuses to accept responsibility for our pain and suffering. This all could have been avoided had they pulled the defective products off the shelves.

I bought Colgate Smart White with foaming action for sensitive teeth about a month ago because the store was out of Colgate Sensitive with Whitening toothpaste that I have used for years. My mouth has been burning ever since but I only recently put it all together that it was this toothpaste. My gums around all of my teeth burn. I even have had shooting pains in my teeth. The tip of my tongue burns even my lips. The pain and burning sensation was gradual over time. I have used it for about 5 weeks. I quit using this product 4 days ago and still no improvement! I have tried everything for relief and I only get partial relief. Colgate Smart White for sensitive teeth should come with a warning to consumers! This product contains abrasive ingredients and can harm your mouth! I'm worried now this burning in my mouth will never end.

Colgate Flax mouthwash melted my tooth, caused tooth sensitivity, dry mouth, burning sensation in gums, lips... It's burning for last 2 years even after stop using. I was used it from July 16th 2014 to Oct 17 2014, 3 months continuously, 2 times per day... but still unable to find cure. Please SHUT DOWN your production. Dear Americans or Europeans why you are not suing against this Colgate in court? I can't because I'm living in country where we won't get justice as the corporates can easily escape... Can all of you give me your mail id's so we will be in same page and discuss on this.

I have been using Colgate optic white for almost a year. Shortly after starting use the lining of my tongue became inflamed and I developed sores in my mouth. I had chronic sore throats. Then the enamel on my teeth became very thin. Near my gum lines my enamel was completely disappearing. The dentist began filling those areas. She questioned me about changes in my diet. We could not figure out what was going on. I'm 41 years old. Until this I have had very healthy and strong teeth. I eat zero sugar and am healthy overall. My tongue and mouth remained inflamed. My new fillings were falling out after a month each time. The dentist couldn't figure out what was going on.

Well I was purchasing my new tube of optic white when the cashier says to me, "this stuff will ruin your teeth and make you sick". She went on to tell me that she had been using it until developing mouth sores and chronic sore throats. She explained that the enamel was now so thin on her teeth that she had caps. Like me, her dentist couldn't figure out what was going on either. The dentist would cap her teeth and the caps would fall off within months. She did her own research and found 1000s of similar consumer complaints. I'm on day 3 of not using it and my tongue and mouth is nearly healed. I'm so thankful the cashier shared her experience with me. It's amazing there are so many complaints and Colgate has not pulled this product.

I have used a different toothpaste for many years. Several weeks ago, I decided to try using Colgate Optic White toothpaste. I ended up with horrible sores on the roof of my mouth, my tongue, and my lower back gums. At the time, I didn't put my symptoms together with the new toothpaste. I was out of town, so I couldn't go to my dentist or doctor. I assumed I had eaten something that caused the issues. It took several weeks for the sores to heal. It was very painful. Now, this week, something even worse has happened. Several nights ago, I was finishing brushing my teeth when I realized pieces of one of my back upper molars had chipped off. It seemed weird since I have never had that happen before and had not eaten anything that could have broken my tooth. I called my dentist and made an appointment to go in this coming week.

Now tonight, once again I brushed my teeth and as I rinsed my mouth I realize my front top tooth had a big chip off the bottom edge! I take very good care of my teeth and had just been in for my check up and cleaning a few weeks before I started using this toothpaste. My dentist told me at the time my teeth looked great, no issues. So now suddenly they are chipping away after using this toothpaste?! I was shocked when I went online to see if others had experienced similar issues and lo and behold, yes! I think Colgate should have to pay for my upcoming trip to the dentist which will likely include at least one cap and some tooth grinding. I'm very upset about my front tooth. Why is such a toxic and destructive product still being sold? Someone please let me know if there is a class action lawsuit because I want in! DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT if you want to avoid pain and chipped off teeth!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

I used Colgate optic white for the first time in the middle of March 2016. I only used it for 5 days, twice a day. Each time I used this tooth paste I would wake up with white peelings in my mouth which I thought were some sort of whitening effect but later discovered it was my skin peeling, plus a white patch showed up near the tip of my tongue (unsure of what it is exactly) so I discontinued use immediately.

Now to this day I've been suffering with a possible mouth ulcer (still unsure of exactly what it is) that isn't going away, random pain in my jaw, gums, neck and throat, burning sensations on my tongue and roof of my mouth, and most recently my lymph nodes and vallate papillae's are swollen. My tongue, throat and lips are also always swollen. I have something that kind of looks like a chemical burn on my lips and the inside of my mouth (near my lips mostly) that hasn't gone away since and tingles.

My first visit was to the walk in clinic - within the first week I discovered the symptoms. He checked for any masses forming, said I was inflamed and gave me a steroid cream to use on the white patch. I used it for a week with little to no improvement. My second attempt, I went to my family dr. He asked if I would like to see a specialist, recommended going to a dentist and gave me more steroid cream. My third attempt was to the dentist, I was also scheduled for my teeth cleaning as well. Her first reaction was, "I can`t work on your teeth today because your immune system is low" due to what she observed in my mouth. She then said I also have candida and my mouth is inflamed (of course) and prescribed ** for candida.

After taking that prescription with no results and still developing symptoms along with my previous symptoms I head back to the clinic. This time they send me for a full blood test, std test, urine, stool, etc... The WORKS! My tests came back normal with no sign of serious diseases from what I can see on LifeLabs results. I will be returning to my family Dr and will request an Ultrasound on my lymph nodes and throat. Hope I get answers soon, it's been 5 months.

I purchased (My First) fluoride free toothpaste for my toddler and the toothpaste has a very strong odor and smells exactly like nail polish remover. After smelling the toothpaste my head immediately start hurting. Parents do not purchase this toothpaste for your toddler.

I used the Colgate optic whitening toothpaste which I purchased from Hannaford approximately three months ago. I used it for four days and I noticed blisters on the top inside of my lip and a raw inside lower lip. It was not a burn from food. Then I realized it had to be the toothpaste. I stopped using it but I am still having issues. My lips still feel raw, they are swollen inside and lumpy like scar tissue has formed and when I wake up they are stuck to my teeth. I can't whistle anymore, I can't grasp a straw with my lips unless the straw is pushed back a good distance in my mouth and saliva now wets the corners of my mouth and I dab it quite a few times during the day. Not a day goes by where this doesn't have an impact on everyday life. How could this company be so reckless to people who trusted their name. What can be done.... I threw out the tube so my grandchildren would not use. Wish I kept it for proof. Hannaford is in Walden Ny.

After reading all the reviews and horrible side effects of Colgate toothpastes, I wonder if anyone else has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer after having used this product for several years? My symptoms: cough, trouble breathing, and hoarse. I have researched the chemicals in Colgate Optic White and 2 specifically stand out. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: damage eyes, irritate skin and lead to labored breathing. May stay within the body for up to five days, accumulating in the heart, liver, lungs and brain.Transforms into nitrosamines, a class of powerful carcinogens. Propylene Glycol: An active component in antifreeze. Can be rapidly absorbed through the skin, with prolonged contact, leading to brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. The FDA is doing little to nothing to protect the consumer. How many others have to suffer before ALL dangerous products are removed from the marketplace?

I was interested to read the reviews of reactions to a Colgate toothpaste. My doctor is stumped to find the cause of lumps and 'hot spots' along the saliva glands under my left jaw. These occurred after a few days of using the new Sensitive Pro Relief toothpaste. An intense taste of acidity and dryness was the first indication of something wrong. My lips became sore and my mouth, particularly my tongue, was on fire when I used my normal everyday mouthwash. A saliva gland under my left jaw felt hard and enlarged.

My doctor at first prescribed some anti-reflux medications. I was then sent for some ultrasound scans which picked up a mass of 'hot spots' under my jaw. After a course of antibiotics, these 'hot spots' remain. Because of the time link between the problems arriving in my mouth and the use of the new toothpaste, I have always supposed there could well be a link between my symptoms and this toothpaste. I am interested to hear whether others have had similar problems.

I bought Colgate Total Whitening and started noticing sickness in the mornings and evenings. It would get worse each day until I realized it was from this toothpaste! What do they put in this stuff? My throat would swell, my stomach would ache, and my chest would become painful. I'd hack stuff up and desperately drink some soda hoping it would help my stomach aches. Don't buy Colgate, buy anything except this.

I tried Colgate Optic white high impact white rinse. After a few times the inside of my lips and my gums became sore and numb. My lips are extremely dry, cracking and have a numb feeling. I have bought every lip balm available trying to make them feel better, but nothing is helping. I am trying home remedies now. I will never use this product again and will be returning the partially used bottle to Wal-Mart.

Purchased Colgate Optic High Impact White Toothpaste at Target June 2016 (in the USA). Tube exp. 2017. Per directions: safe to use daily so I used it for one month, 2 x a day, like I would any toothpaste. I hadn't whitened my teeth with toothpaste before and I wanted to try it. Colgate is a name that I have known and trusted my whole life. I did not have a reaction in my mouth or lips until after 2-3 weeks usage so I did not relate my symptoms to the toothpaste. I had no idea what was happening to me when I began to have the feeling of swallowing around a lump in my lower throat after 1 week so I made a Dr. appointment. My mouth developed a blister on the roof after 3 weeks, an extreme acid burning feeling in my stomach and burping acid started also. (I've never had Acid Reflux problems).

Then odd off-and-on sensations started at 4 weeks, such as a mild tremor in my palms, ringing in my ears, mild burning and tingling in my palms and soles of my feet. I felt like toxic was happening to me but I didn't know what since I was in good health. When I saw my Dr. yesterday he asked, "Have you used or eaten anything different this month?" Only the Colgate Optic White toothpaste. He said he didn't think that a toothpaste could cause health problems. By the way, I have a friend who uses this product with no problems. The tube that I purchased might have been a caustic batch? Maybe I am terribly allergic to the ingredients? Maybe it was something else?

My throat after 4 weeks had at times become feelings as dry-as-a-desert and my tongue swollen on the edges, I was concerned that my throat might swell even worse and I would need to go to an ER. I searched "dry throat" and found these Consumer Reviews here. Thank goodness for the post by the woman in June 2016 who said that her symptoms of acid stomach reduced after 3 days of not using this Colgate Toothpaste. I am on day 3 of stopping use and the acid is much less and burping acid is decreasing too. My throat swallowing is improving too. This product should be batch-tested based and removed from the stores as soon as possible Colgate - or at least warn people of possible severe allergic reactions. I hope no one else has to go through what happened to me - if indeed this was caused by this product.

I have recently bought the Colgate optic white toothpaste and it's working about average. I have used it for 4 days now and noticed a slight difference about my teeth. It's not very whiter than it once was. I have also noticed that now and then I get more toothaches than usual. I think it's a very great brand and all but it said on the packaging that it works within 3 days. I know there's a stinging feeling to it, tastes like tiger balm. I also had a little trouble breathing, but that might be connected to my car sickness. Overall, it's a good product, but might be eating away at your teeth.

After using Colgate Optic for like 3 days, I woke up with a swollen bottom lip. I was freaking out, but then I remembered how the back of my lip felt raw before I went to bed. They should not be selling this toothpaste. I look like somebody punched me.

I tried using Colgate Fresh Confidence Mint Overload when I discovered that I had a little cavity on my wisdom tooth. I'm planning to have my dentist work on it soon but I don't have the time this week so I'm doing everything possible to prevent it from worsening. I'm also getting paranoid that my breath is compromised by this situation so I was hoping this toothpaste could help me steer clear of bad breath. So far, it's worked perfectly and the effect is long lasting like they say in the TV commercials. The mint flavor is quite overwhelming at first and it takes a few uses to get used to but I don't have any issues with it. I'm not sure though if the product can help me with my tooth problem but I'm not expecting a toothpaste to cure cavities so that's okay.

Let me start out by saying that I have used the Colgate Optic White toothpaste for a couple of years and I loved the stuff; I got tons of compliments on my beautiful, white smile. I NOW LOATHE IT AND WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE! The last three months I have been suffering with a chronic cough, mouth and esophageal ulcers, sore gums, tiny white blisters inside my mouth, swollen lips, laryngitis and fatigue. The worst symptom is a prickly sensation in the back of my throat and esophagus that feels like little shards of glass or a chemical burn. I have been been to doctors who suggest acid reflux or food allergy, but switching my diet or using different meds never provides relief. I have been at my wit's end looking for relief, researching every possible cause!!! I never suspected toothpaste because my symptoms came on gradually and I developed throat symptoms before mouth irritation.

However, I switched to Tom's of Maine toothpaste 3 days ago and I am seeing immediate improvement of my symptoms!!! I can't believe the difference! It must be the Colgate Optic White toothpaste, as that is the ONLY thing I changed! I want to warn everyone that this stuff is toxic; even if it doesn't affect you immediately, it is no doubt doing damage to your oral and gastrointestinal tissues! It should be taken off the shelves! I have an endoscopy scheduled next week to look at my esophageal damage and will be sure to inform my gastrointestinologist of my findings!

I tried the Colgate Optic white toothpaste. Initially I liked it, although I was very annoyed with the blue beads, staining my sink each time as I am brushing my teeth. They are difficult to remove, and eventually got fed up with rubbing my sink to clean them off after each brushing of my teeth, so I left my sink stained with these beads, for over a week until the toothpaste finished. To my surprise!!! These blue beads has eaten into my sink china, they are corrosive, and my sink now damaged with multiple small holes where these blue beads stained. This product is corrosive and unsafe.

Colgate used to be the most dependable toothpaste there is. Although it would cost more, my parents are always willing to pay extra just to make sure we are getting the dental protection that we need. However, lately I would suffer from toothache whenever I would eat something cold, hot or sweet. I never thought it was the toothpaste but when there was a time that Colgate was not available, and I bought a cheaper brand I observed that I no longer suffer from those toothache episodes. It wasn't just coincidence since when I went back to using Colgate I had the same issues all over again. That's when I decided I will no longer go back to Colgate. I have been using a toothpaste from a Japanese company. It's much cheaper, no more toothaches plus my breath stays fresh so much longer. What ever happened to Colgate?

The very first day I used Colgate Total Lasting White Mouthwash my gums and the inside of my mouth felt like I had received a terrible burn. My gums and mouth swelled up and the skin turned white and then peeled off. This lasted for several days. I suffer migraines and I had a migraine that day and tingling sensation in and around my mouth which I associated with my migraine, however I have never had that happen before. I'm wondering if it had something to do with the mouthwash? Also, ever since I used the mouthwash my mouth has been so dry. There has been nothing I've tried that has helped.

It has been 2 weeks and I still have the weirdest sensation in my mouth and I wake every morning with my tongue feeling like it is glued to the room of my mouth. Food doesn't taste the same and my gums and mouth still hurt. I had three large canker sores inside my mouth that came up the day I used the mouthwash and they are just now healing. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone! It has really made my life miserable after only one use!

Went to Walmart to purchase Colgate toothpaste. The same size, type, and box had two different weights. One had 6.4 oz and the other 6.0 oz. They were exactly same size and same price??? Not sure if you are getting 6.4 or 6.0. A couple of the Colgate products were like this.

I've been using Colgate advanced whitening toothpaste for a few weeks and have been suffering from a burning feeling in my lips. It was only two days ago that I finally realised what caused this. I stopped using it immediately and sensation has lessened a little. I sure hope it goes completely soon.

I have been using this toothpaste (Optic white) for over a year and the enamel on my front teeth is practically gone. It has made one of the teeth chip because the enamel is practical nonexistent. I have been using Colgate products since forever and when they came out with their whitening toothpaste and rinsed I happily gave them a shot. Biggest mistake ever. My teeth have never been the same. My dentist said it is from using this abrasive toothpaste and they cannot be corrected. How can a company knowingly put something that could damage your teeth so drastically on the market? I can't even smile because I am so embarrassed at my chipped front tooth. The back of my teeth are cracking now where a filling was so I have half of a tooth gone just the filling is left with the front of the tooth holding it in place. I can't afford veneers or implants where the teeth have been most affected so what do I do now?

Allergy to Colgate Optic White. After 1st day, my teeth felt very clean. I drink teas and coffee, so was looking forward to improving my teeth color. I noticed the inside of my jaw felt cut. 2nd day, I woke up with the inside lining of mouth swollen and bumpy. I took some liquid allergy medicine. There is some ingredient in this that does not belong in my mouth. It's in the trash - sad waste of my money.

I purchased this brand (Colgate Total Lasting White mouthwash in the blue and red bot) last Monday March 28, 2016. After 3 days of using it I noticed my mouth felt different as well as my lips. It was a feeling like I had my mouth underwater for days and they felt pruned. Following that weird feeling was inside my mouth was burnt. My cheeks under my tongue all in my mouth was burnt, peeling, painful. And just plain wrong. And that was just after three days. Here it is April 4, 2016 and my mouth is still not the same...

I have always used a pea-sized or smaller drop of toothpaste when brushing. With the Colgate Optic White, it irritated the inside of my mouth, tongue, lips, and gums. After a couple of days, my gums actually became red and pitted. The fumes even made me cough. Needless to say, I do not use this toothpaste any longer.

I usually use toothpaste more in a nighttime ritual than day time. Your mouth allows for more Bacteria to eat at your teeth when you sleep. I started using Colgate Optic White. I didn't feel any burning or tingling but immediately after my teeth felt quite sensitive. I thought maybe this just happens when you get older. Several days after using that toothpaste the roof of my mouth began to peel and my all my teeth and my jaw became very tender and painful.

I thought maybe I need to brush my teeth some more that I may have a possible infection so I continued to use it until I realized the sores were getting worse when I used it and my tongue was swollen as well as all my teeth were hurting. I couldn't eat or let my teeth rest against each other in the natural resting position. It hurt. I went and got Sensodyne to repair the damage that toothpaste has done to my mouth. I felt an immediate change in the sensitivity of my teeth and I'm hoping it can repair the damage that toothpaste has done. It's sad when in this day and age you have to look up the side effects of your own toothpaste.

Shame on you Kelly Ripa for being a spokesmodel for this awful product! Many young women look to you as a role model and when you say you use the product and it's wonderful, they believe you! My tongue has now been swollen and achy for 4 days! I can barely speak!! They should send a tube of this ** with weight watcher and Nutrisystem plans – because the ONLY good thing about this toothpaste is I've lost 5 lb because I can't eat anything. It's too painful!!

Three weeks after visiting a dentist, who recommended his dental hygienist, told her I had sensitive mouth... which was then, in my opinion far too roughly scrubbed out with a lot of colgate proactive toothpaste. (That's the product the dentist said it was when I presented with red swollen mouth and agonizing tongue.) I wasn't even allowed to spit the stuff out, resulting in violent tummy cramps are terrible tummy upset... and still now my mouth is burned and very painful... with no remedy or even a sympathetic acknowledgment of my pain, I usually use proactive tooth paste sparingly, but have noticed recently that it seems to be too strong but the amount used by the hygienist was, in my opinion excessive in the extreme.

SHOULD DENTAL HYGIENISTS BE ALLOWED TO USE SUCH A HARSH PRODUCT? So liberally. And what can I do to repair my very painful burning mouth? That trip to the dentist cost me over 200, and my mouth has been in horrible pain ever since.

Purchased the high impact optic white toothpaste and gel pen. Used for 2 days. 2 days later I had horrible pain from a tooth. 3 days later chin swelled up. Next jaw and throat swelled up. Saw dentist yesterday. Am on strong antibiotics and pain pills. Doctor said if my throat swells any more I need to get to ER. My throat, jaw, cheek, chin has ballooned, filled with infection. Am on 3rd day missing work. No change in my condition. Only factor was using the Colgate whitening toothpaste and whitening pen. I noticed while using both products for 2 days my teeth were very sensitive. I had peeling and by the 3rd day everything was out of control.

Colgate Toothpaste Company Profile