2.31/5

394 Colgate Toothpaste Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 10, 2019

My wife and I are long long time customers of Colgate toothpaste and both hate the new flavor. Waste of money since I bought 2 double pack boxes because I didn’t notice the small new flavor label. We threw all four tubes out. It tasted so bad. Overall not what I expected, not satisfied, and kind of annoyed at the waste of money.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I had a perfect dentition and never had sores in mouth all my life. I purchased Colgate Optic white here in Nigeria and used it for 1 week. Just one week, I felt so sick that I thought my life would end. I was cold in mouth, Weak all over, Had Sinusitis, sores inside of cheek and roof of mouth and a swollen lymph node around my neck. I took treatments for malaria and antibiotics. I noticed I got sicker anytime I used it in morning and at night. I made a review of changes I recently made and decided to pause using the toothpaste for a while. After two days, I felt better. My condition improved. I never knew a toothpaste could be this poisonous. It’s kept by the side now. No more brushing for me until further notice. I’m glad I found out on time.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have always had good dental check ups and had very white and healthy teeth. I switched to the new Colgate Total with Stannous Fluoride thinking it would be better for my teeth. When I went to my 6 month check-up my dentist was shocked how stained up and black my teeth had gotten. She told me I was eating chocolate and food that stain my teeth. I almost got into a fight with her because I had not. I told her I switched to Colgate Total and she told me that it had stannous fluoride in it, which stains teeth.

I switched toothpaste back to my old brand and all the staining went away and it has not come back. If you read on the box there is a warning about stannous fluoride which says it will stain teeth, but the Colgate Total claims to keep teeth clean and white. By doing this, they cannot get sued for saying one thing and doing another. DO NOT USE COLGATE TOTAL WITH STANNOUS FLOURIDE OR YOUR TEETH WILL BECOME STAINED AND BLACK.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I have never had an allergic reaction to anything in my life. However, just this week I purchased and began to use Colgate Total SF toothpaste. I have been using Colgate products my entire life and never had a problem prior to this. My mouth is covered in sores as well as my tongue and my lips nearly doubled in size. Additionally my gums are bleeding and my teeth hurt. Keep in mind, I have had perfect teeth and gums my entire life... I've only had one cavity in 50 years and my dentist always gives me a glowing report at the end of every 6 month check up. I pray this toothpaste has not done permanent damage to my teeth and gums. Do not buy this product. It is not worth the risk.

Original review: May 3, 2019

This new formula does not leave my mouth feeling fresh at all! There is also an aftertaste of metal that lasts in my mouth all day. Even rinsing with mouthwash doesn't help it go away. I'll be switching to a different toothpaste ASAP!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: April 27, 2019

My husband and I have been using Colgate Total Whitening paste for years and just a few days ago I started a new tube to find that the formula and flavor have changed. I literally gagged on it and then had to use mouthwash to get rid of the terrible flavor. I tried it a few more times with the same result. When I went to Walgreens to try to find my old formula, every tube said "SF" with Stannous Flouride. Very disappointing! I guess I'm going to have to switch to Crest.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I have used Colgate Total Whitening for many years quite happily as it tasted fine and left my teeth feeling smooth and clean. It seems they may have now changed the formula as it tastes awful and after brushing my teeth no longer have that smooth, shiny feeling. Am now trying Oral B to see if my brushing experience improves. I really don't like the new Total formula.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I just started to use a new tube of Total toothpaste and noticed a bad aftertaste. I said to myself, "I bet it has zinc in it." I checked the ingredients and sure enough there is zinc oxide as an ingredient.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I just started to use a new tube of Total toothpaste and noticed that I had a bad aftertaste. I suspected the new ingredient was zinc. I checked the ingredients on the tube and sure enough zinc oxide is a new ingredient.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Has the formulation of Colgate Total changed recently? I have been using this product for years without any trouble however the most recent purchase seems to have slightly different packaging and the product has an extremely strong taste which is both unpleasant and lingers all day. It is as if I am permanently brushing my teeth and becomes stronger every time I eat or drink. Is anyone else experiencing this? I think I am going to have to switch to another brand because tasting nothing but toothpaste day and night is miserable.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I have used Colgate Total Original for 30 years or so. However, they have just recently completely changed the formula. It is really bad! It now hurts my teeth and gums, feels very harsh on the teeth. Horrible aftertaste. The old formulation cleaned teeth perfectly. Currently trying to find an alternative brand to Colgate, one which is close to the old formula as possible.

Original review: April 21, 2019

We ran out of our normal toothpaste and my partner bought Colgate SF as a filler until she goes shopping. Been using it for a couple of days, but today, within a minute of using it, my bottom lip began to swell; never experienced this before with any other toothpaste. Now my bottom lip is swollen and heavy. What is going on here Colgate? Trying to kill me? But why? What did I do to your company?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have been a faithful user of Colgate for years. I just purchased a tube of the new flavor and am very disappointed. It has a very strong and unpleasant flavor. It leaves an awful aftertaste that lingers for a long time. I can't wait for this tube to be gone so I can switch to another brand.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Bought a tube of Colgate Total a few months but stopped using it because I didn't like the funny taste in my mouth. I ran out of my regular toothpaste last week and found the tube of Total and started using it, forgetting why I had stopped before. I've been having unusual nausea off and on all week, found sores in my mouth, cheek and lower lip, have a gross salty taste in my mouth. I looked at my tube of Total and remembered I didn't like it before. I Googled Colgate Total and found out they out TRICLOSAN in their toothpaste! I can't use any hand soaps or sanitizers with Triclosan because I'm sensitive to it and never would have imagined any company would put it in their toothpaste! I understand Colgate is quietly removing it from their toothpastes now but hell will freeze over before I buy another Colgate product ever again!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I just used some form of Colgate whitening routinely for 8 times total... I noticed my gum bled and stopped. In a few days my teeth were aching so bad they felt like they were about to fall out... It's been maybe 5 days since I stopped and I have burning nostrils and mouth pain... I think the chemical is way too strong. What is going on with Colgate? And how are products still out... I never had a problem with toothpaste my whole life of any brand. I actually feel bad for people who use it for longer than 8 days or who got worst reactions... Can't trust anything anymore. I didn't even want to give it 1 star...

Original review: March 26, 2019

I don’t have any particular brand when it comes to toothpaste but recently I've purchased Colgate Vedshakti (Ayurvedic) and got a complaint from my son that he feel thirsty after brushing and I had the same feeling. I just ignored it and keep using it until I got sores on the tip of my tongue (burning sensation), ulcers under my tongue and got metallic taste every time I eat, too painful and I can’t even talked properly. I feel irritated, can’t eat. We stop using it for a while until I found this site and clarified my doubt. After reading the consumers review I finally come to know that I am not the only person having this kind of experience. It’s horrible.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Everybody please be careful, don't buy any product of this brand, especially toothpaste, which contains sodium fluoride - it's poison and causes cancer. Please, be so so careful. Especially don't give to use this product to your kids.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

The top that the toothpaste comes out of keeps clogging and it’s annoying to have to keep taking the top off to get the toothpaste out. Please correct this problem. I love Colgate but this problem will make me switch to another brand if it is not corrected.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

After using for 4 days my tongue and inside my mouth feels burnt, I have small blistered and it’s hard to swallow. I have not had this with other Colgate products before, only the Max White. It got progressively worse the more I used it over the few days.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I started using the Colgate Pro sensitive toothpaste for painful sensitivity in my front tooth. I noticed my lips on the inside felt a bit swollen but didn't pay much attention. Over the next week or so it seemed to get worse but I didn't link it to the toothpaste. I got up this morning and I looked like I'd been smacked in the mouth! I couldn't speak properly. I got medical advice and antihistamines which helped. I'd never have thought that toothpaste can cause a reaction like this.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I began using Colgate Optic White toothpaste on Tues. Feb. 5th and the very next day, I noticed pain and what felt like swelling in the middle of my tongue. After closer examination, I saw were tiny red blisters on my tongue. Not suspecting the toothpaste, I used it for one more day, but quickly realized the toothpaste was the cause and was the only change I'd made in my oral routine. The blisters are still on my tongue and haven't seemed to get any better. I threw the toothpaste in the garbage, but I wonder which ingredient(s) are causing this bad allergic-like reaction.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I bought this toothpaste a week ago. I only rinsed minimally after brushing for maximum effect (which I would not recommend). One night I woke with very painful feeling in my left jaw. I didn’t put it down to the toothpaste. Last night I experienced pain in my right jaw and under my cheekbone and my head was throbbing like the worst dehydration headache ever. I couldn’t move my head without severe pain and was contemplating going to hospital but when I laid very still it was tolerable so given that it was the middle of the night and I was alone I stayed in bed. I was worried that a blood vessel was going to burst in my brain.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Ever since I started using this product my teeth ache and throb. I have used 1 tube so far and about a quarter of another tube. When I started using it the taste was nasty but I kept using it. I figured it was working the way it was advertised. Just deal with the horrible taste. Now my teeth ache and I’m in pain. I have never experienced this before. Please do not use this tooth paste. The pain is not worth white teeth.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Today I purchased a "Colgate Slim Soft Charcoal" toothbrush from Training Command Air Force canteen, Hebbal, Bangalore. There should be three number of toothbrush in the package but there was only two. The box was not tampered. It was sealed. Colgate should take measures while packing. Packed area: Vivajay Brushes (Goa), Pilerne - 403511. Coding area: '29 M1 21:53'.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I have been using Colgate Total and have become itchy all over and skin rash on me in various places, I was laid awake because of said itching last night and was thinking about what I use that could cause it, the one thing that was different was a new electric toothbrush and Total, I will stop using today and bin it and use a different make. See how that goes from today, thanks for this sit. Very helpful.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I tried Optic White the day before Christmas Eve, in the morning. By lunchtime my lip felt very strange. By 6 pm it had swollen a bit. Over the course of the next hour it doubled in size. I spent 3 hours in emergency waiting to see the Dr, who prescribed steroids. It took four days to go down. I looked like a clown on Christmas Day. What the hell is in this toothpaste?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Why is nothing being done about this toxic company and all the harm it is causing. The Chemicals in the toothpaste are very harmful, and should be banned but yet they still sell it. WHY? My teeth are ruined from this product and I want retribution, And Compensation. You want more read the customer complaints that seem to be ignored by Colgate! My next step will be a class action lawsuit against said company. And my Dentist for not saying anything about this product and its harm. Who knows what other problems are caused by this product and company.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I purchased Colgate's baking soda & peroxide toothpaste several months ago and started brushing with it every day. After about 2-3 weeks I developed a painful blister on the right side of my lower lip. At first I didn't make the connection with the toothpaste and thought it was a cold sore. But then I noticed that when I brushed my teeth, the toothpaste tended to drip on the same side of my lips where the blister had developed. I had followed the directions using toothpaste the size of a pea. When I made the connection, I immediately stopped using the product and the blister healed. I am appalled that this product was approved by the health department!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

DO NOT USE ANY COLGATE PRODUCTS!!! I am a healthy 26 year old female, with no serious medical history and for the last 3 weeks I have had multiple doctor visits to the ENT, Urgent care and at it’s worst the ER. I have missed multiple days at work. All my blood tests, and imaging had come back normal leaving doctors stunned and confused because of the amount of swelling/pain in my cheeks, jaw, migraine headaches starting in the back of my head, neck pain/swelling and ear pressure/ringing that came on so suddenly. Even when my primary care physician had saw me by week 3 she thought that I had parotitis (inflammation of the parotid glands in the cheeks) that has caused infection, because my cheeks were extremely swollen/painful especially on the left side.

I developed a small lump on the left cheek and it was to the point that I could not sleep on either side of my face and was using a neck pillow that a hole in the middle so that there was no pressure on the sides of my face. But she was STILL confused as to why I would have developed this considering all my tests were normal and I am vaccinated. She prescribed antibiotics, recommended an antihistamine and **. It wasn't until I started to develop sores in my mouth that I thought about the fact that I had started using the Colgate Max Whitening toothpaste right before this started happening and was using it still. I immediately switched, the sores are already starting to go away.

When I started reading the reviews from other people today I knew for sure that it was this toothpaste that caused so much pain, suffering and money in doctors’ visits and medicines for me the last few weeks. This is not the first time a Colgate product gave me a reaction. I remember a few years back I had used a Colgate whitening mouthwash that had gave me sores in my mouth and sore throats.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

For couple months I used Colgate Optic White, my tongue was burning. I saw my doctor and a specialist and they told me that my tongue is extremely irritated! I cannot taste the same and it's burning... I stopped using this product for few days and slowly heals (I did a blood test, 2 doctors, I thought I had herpes or liver problems). Don't buy this product!

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information