3.3/5 (1775 ratings)

About Colgate Toothpaste

Colgate Toothpaste Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Colgate Toothpaste?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I cannot believe this product is ADA approved. Cuts, bruises, sores on inside my cheeks, lips, tongue, and gum. Pain starts from the lip and goes all the way to the top of my throat. Let's start a class action lawsuit against Colgate.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I've used Colgate Total Clean Mint toothpaste for years and never had any issues. I used the new formula (labeled SF - contains stannous fluoride) tonight for the first time and it tasted awful and my teeth didn't feel clean. My cheeks, lips, tongue, and gums also feel raw. I began searching online to see if others had a similar experience and immediately found this site and all of the concerning reports/reviews. I'm so thankful I only used the toothpaste once. I definitely won't be using it, or any other Colgate toothpaste, again. Based on some of the recent reports I've read on this site, I'm nervous my mouth will be swollen and filled with sores in the morning. I've rinsed repeatedly, and re-brushed with my old toothpaste, yet my mouth is still tingling and raw.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

I have been a faithful Colgate Advanced user until today. The last three weeks, the underside of my tongue, inside my cheeks and my gum have been raw. I wasn't sure what the cause was until today. I decided to look at my new tube of toothpaste and I see there is a new formula. I am 38 years old and have never had a canker sore until now. My tongue is filled with inflamed and painful tastebuds and my mouth is doing some sort of peeling. I am thankful I found this site and that I am not the only one that is suffering. I hope Colgate sees what people are experiencing and changes the make up of the product back to the original. I have switched to doTERRA brand until my mouth is back in order and I'll be trying Crest. The only way I could explain to my husband how my mouth felt was telling him it was like my mouth was sunburned.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

I bought the multipack version of this Colgate toothpaste from Costco not realizing that the product had changed. We were regular users of the previous product (Colgate Total Advanced Whitening Paste) and were very impressed with it. But this new product is causing more troubles day by day. First of all, it has a burning taste. Secondly, within 2 weeks of usage my spouse got blisters in his inner mouth. We initially thought it was some viral infection but later realized that it was a reaction to this new toothpaste. After switching back to the good old toothpaste, all problems disappeared. But I continued using it and now I have started feeling sensitivity on my inner lips and inner cheeks. There is something seriously wrong with this product. Please do not make the mistake of buying it. Not sure what I’m going to do with the rest of the pack.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Like many others here, I am so relieved I found this website and these other reviews. I used an older Colgate Total that caused non-painful but odd bits of inner cheek to fall away, sort of like dead skin, in white patches. My dentist told me stop using this because they had seen a lot of that with Colgate Total. So few years later, this past August 2019, I see the new Colgate Total SF and grabbed it. I figured it was not the same formula. I was right - this formula is 100x worse. I literally thought I had some viral infection, yeast oral thrush situation, cancer, honestly IDK! It’s been this very painful almost blistering or burning of the underside of my tongue and the front inside my lip, plus starting around the sides of my cheeks at the bottom, and two canker sores that took forever to heal.

I am so mad it took me this long to realize it's the toothpaste. It’s awful, painful, and gross. It’s white and just not cute. I’ve taken photos because I was going to run tests and show my doctor. I am currently in Germany for study and went to a doctor here, who told me it just looked like I had eaten something very hot and burned my mouth - and he was confused how I couldn’t remember doing it. It turns out it’s because this COLGATE TOTAL SF was actually BURNING my mouth! It’s embarrassing to deal with and super painful. I cannot believe this is on the shelves.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

OMG I'm so glad I stumbled upon this website, I thought it was just me! I recently purchased the Total SF Deep Clean, and then unknowingly the Total SF Clean Mint. If I could give negative stars for these two toothpastes, I would, they are a public health hazard! I, too, have been suffering with a blistered undertongue, sore gums, the tip of my tongue feels like I bit it off and my upper inner lip is swollen. It's very difficult to eat anything but yogurt.

I bought a tube of Colgate Total SF Deep Clean and really loved it at first. After a few days my mouth was starting to burn. I figured it was the new toothpaste so I went out and bought what I thought was the old Total clean mint paste; it wasn't, it's the new SF formulation. The SF packaging looks very similar to the old formulation. I feel duped by Colgate and judging from all of the complaints posted, Colgate must have known that this could have caused an adverse reaction in some consumers. I am calling the FDA today to file a consumer complaint, and I'm calling Colgate to complain and try to get my money back, then back to the store to buy Crest. I did buy the off brand of Colgate's Peroxyl Mouth Sore Rinse and that seems to be helping.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I have used Colgate toothpaste all my life. My parents used it and my children used it. This "new" version of Colgate leaves a pucker feeling on the inner part of my lips and not liking the after taste it leaves in my mouth. I was able to find the previous version at my grocery store and now they are carrying the new version. Sadly, I am down to my last tube and have decided to go with Crest. My daughter told me the same thing--not happy with the after taste and the after taste it left with her and she has decided to also go with Crest. You had a good product--don't know why you had to change it.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

So I am writing this as I am in my 5th day of pain from optic white toothpaste. My gums and the inside of my cheeks are what I believe are completely burnt. It took about 2 weeks before I started feeling something was wrong. I can’t eat anything but soft cold food. This is ridiculous. This should not be on the market. I work for a dentist & he said he never saw such damaged tissue. So painful.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2019

I have been using Colgate SF for over a month, and I began noticing that my gums are extremely red, my gums, lips, and tongue hurt, my throat hurts, and I have lost my sense of taste. It was only after reading the posts that I realized that it's the Colgate SF toothpaste. I am going to stop using immediately, but Colgate must know that this toothpaste is causing severe mouth pain.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

After using this toothpaste for about a week and a 1/2 I noticed extreme sensitivity in two of my teeth, went to dentist and they said there were white spots in my mouth. (But no cavity-gum was receding on one tooth - (somewhat better now). After I stopped using this product sensitivity is improving. Something is wrong with this product.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Almost finished brushing and started having difficulty breathing as the foam seemed to be clogging my airway. After lots of water, gargling and gagging this scary sensation dissipated but is still in my throat. Bought 3 Tubes, package deal, but can’t use!!! Colgate, are you serious with this product? Smart foam, come on!!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Ever since Colgate added stannous fluoride to their toothpaste I can't use it no more cause it causes canker sores in my mouth so please remove that stannous fluoride from the toothpastes or I will stop buying Colgate toothpaste.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I started using this toothpaste about a week ago and it has caused what feels like blisters and sores all over the roof of my mouth! It is very painful. This needs to be removed from shelves immediately!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

For the last couple of weeks my tongue has been swollen and hurting. Wasn’t sure why. This morning it hit me to look up reviews on this toothpaste and glad I did. This is awful! Needs to be removed! This product has us thinking we are sick when it’s this toothpaste. Going back to Crest. Pull this product before someone dies! I wish I’d read these before I bought the toothpaste and saved myself a lot of pain and discomfort!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I have been using Colgate Total toothpaste (both gel & paste) for 20+ years and have LOVED it. This new formula Total SF is TERRIBLE! The taste is unbearable bad, my teeth don't feel clean even right after using, and it gave my husband painful sores and a swollen tongue. Not even sure how this got released. Please go back to the old formula.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I had no idea the product had changed into this Total "SF". I had immediate burning in my mouth and when I woke up the next morning I had sores all on the inside of my lips and a raw-feeling sensitive tongue. I do not recommend this product whatsoever and will have to change toothpaste brands after years of loving their product. It is incredibly scary that a product can do this to a person.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

I am so glad I stumbled on this page. I had irritation, burning, sensitivity, sores, everything for weeks in my mouth. No idea what it was. My DR asked if I had changed toothpastes. Sure enough, I had. To this stuff. I went two weeks without using it, to test the theory. I went back to the Colgate Total Whitening last night, and within an hour or two, I had the same symptoms return. My throat even feels a bit sore now, and the underside of my tongue is irritated and feels fuzzy. I don't know what Colgate has done but I am immediately throwing these in the garbage and am now concerned for the health of my mouth for using this for as long as I did. They better figure this out immediately and pull it off the shelves if this many people are complaining with symptoms.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

The tube of Colgate Total I bought 2 weeks ago is so watered down it oozes out of the hole, can't be controlled by me not squeezing, and accumulates under the cap. What a mess. I will have to switch to a new brand.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

After years of using Colgate toothpaste I tried the new formula for Professional Clean. It tasted terrible and made my mouth sting. I tried my husband's tube which is a different type. It tasted slightly better but my mouth still feels bad after 24 hours. They both left a bad taste in the mouth and I feel like I've been poisoned. I'm not going to try it a third time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2019

I can not brush my teeth as usual. My lip is swollen, gums are red and throat closing up. I am a dental hygienist. Never smoked and I think I have cancer. Thank you very much. My daughter is getting married and I can not smile and no lipstick. I am furious.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

I've been using Colgate toothpaste since I was a kid. I'm now 70. Never had a problem with the stuff until a few days ago, when I bought a new tube, called "Total-sf”. My mouth would feel burned by the toothpaste every time. I thought it was me, and that I was just sensitive. I used it for 10 days, and the last time I brushed, the burning was so intense, and I had to spit it out so fast, it went all over the mirror and walls. I took a closer look at the label and saw "New Flavor". So that's it! They snuck in something new, and drastically horrible. WTF COLGATE, why are you trying to poison your loyal customers? Did you only test this crap on cadavers? Have any of the human taste testers survived, and sued you. You must remove this junk from the market place before you are sued into extinction.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I have been using Colgate Total Advanced Whitening toothpaste for 10 years at least. Ever since I bought this new toothpaste at Costco, I have had intense mouth sores, irritation, blisters and swollen and peeling lips. It has been at least 7 weeks and I couldn’t figure out what the irritation was until I noticed today that the toothpaste says “new formula”. I’ve been on a Doctor prescribed medicine for a week and it’s not helping. Will never buy this poison again. I called Colgate and they said someone would call me back. Nothing!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have used Colgate for at least two decades and have never had a problem. For FIVE weeks straight my lips were swollen, I had blisters inside my lips and on my gums, my tongue was swollen and rough, and every day the symptoms kept changing. I almost went to the ER one morning because my husband was worried that the swelling would cut off my breathing. Every morning when I woke up the symptoms were at their worst and although the swelling reduced throughout the day the pain did not. Eating and drinking was miserable, I started losing weight as getting food and water in my mouth was painful and very unpleasant. Everything acidic, hot, cold, spicy, etc. was very painful.

I went to the doctor and started testing for auto-immune disease and a basic blood panel but everything came back normal. I also saw an oral specialist and a dermatologist but they kept pushing me around as they had no idea what was going on. I'm obviously a slow learner because it took five miserable weeks before I decided to switch to Tom's of Maine, I've had zero symptoms since. After a full month of a healthy mouth I just used Colgate yesterday (AM/PM) and this morning I woke up to a tingling sensation, slight swelling in my tongue and lips, and a sensitive area under my tongue. EXACTLY the same issues I was having before. This product should NOT be on the shelf, I'm shocked to see all the other complaints here just like mine. My entire family is done with Colgate.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

It feels like my whole mouth is bruised, it feels like I have been chewing tough bubblegum for 18 hours straight. The pain is in my jaws, my tongue is swollen, my teeth hurt when I press on them all over. I was just at the dentist and have no cavities. The ONLY this different is that I bought a new whitening toothpaste: Colgate Optic White. Almost immediately I noticed mouth pain but didn’t connect it to the toothpaste until tonight when I was researching what could possibly be my mouth soreness problem. There should be a lawsuit against Colgate for allowing people to use this product! Against FDA for ever approving it! Unconscionable!!!!! I will be documenting the number of days it takes for the pain to stop???? Hey will not be using this product again. I will be warning my social sphere about this product.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I’ve used Colgate Total Whitening for the past 15 years but as soon as they changed to the new SF formula my mouth has been in so much pain. It, unfortunately, took me 2 months to realize the sores in my mouth were related to the new toothpaste. I did not realize it was not just a “new flavor” but an entirely new formula because it only states “new flavor” on the tube. Ever since the formula changed I’ve been struggling with gum pain and sores and even clogged salivary glands!

I take very good care of my teeth and gums and have always had stellar dental visits until now and the dentist told me that this new formula has damaged my gums and that it will take some time to heal. It does not make sense that this company would take on such an extreme formula change that, after doing some research reading other reviews, has clearly caused many other people a lot of issues as well. I have changed my toothpaste and am slowly recovering. I don’t think I will ever switch back to Colgate, even if they do fix their formula, out of fear of this ever happening again.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2019

This toothpaste caused very bad lip blisters, welts in my mouth and on my tongue and swelling of my mouth and lips. It took me 3 days to figure out what was causing this horrible reaction. I thought I had just started using a new tube of Colgate Total, then looked closer and noticed it was different than the Colgate Total that I usually buy. The NEW toothpaste is COLGATE TOTAL SF WHITENING NEW FLAVOR. I have never experienced a reaction like this to anything. Colgate needs to recall this toothpaste product.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Brought a sample size along on my week vacation and by 4 days in my tongue and mouth started to hurt and feel hot and sore. By the last day, my taste buds were inflamed and I had mouth sores. I stopped that day and the sores continued and progressed to the roof of my mouth. I'm still dealing with the pain as my mouth slowly heals from this terrible tooth paste!! I can barely eat. :( I'm in excruciating pain and there's nothing I can do, I went to the doctor and she gave me an antifungal antibiotic rinse but it's not helping. Remove this product at once!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have used Colgate Total mint for years and years. I just used this new flavor for the first time, and immediately noticed that the taste is horrible! I can’t stop rinsing my mouth out. What is wrong with Colgate for making such an extreme change in taste. I didn’t realize it was new until I brushed my teeth tonight, and I can’t stop rinsing my mouth out with water trying to get rid of the awful taste. I will never use Colgate again, and am going to the store tomorrow to get Crest mint!

This stuff is still burning my throat. YUCK!!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Over the last couple of months I have been experiencing painful gums. They have been swollen and would bleed when I would brush them. It felt like there were tiny little sores. I visit my dentist every 3-6months. And have never had these issues with my gums/mouth. After using a different brand for a few days I noticed a very significant improvement. This is very disappointing Colgate! Were these products even tested? Was a warning provided so consumers would know there could be a risk! Nicole ** August 9, 2019

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I have been using Colgate for most of my life. I was made aware that the ingredients changed and this is the reason I was having sores at the sides of my mouth for several months. It is painful to eat. Hope Colgate get pulled. This is pure poison.

Colgate Toothpaste Company Information