Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.86/5

McAfee Reviews

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I initially bought the antivirus package as I trusted McAfee but I decided not to renew as I did not see any significant benefits to paying for it, especially as I had heard of many good free alternatives. Now I've downloaded BitDefender and did a scan only to discover I've had an infected file on my laptop for a whole year with McAfee never notifying me about it. Now I know for sure I made the right choice by not renewing.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Every year I try to renew my subscription and have problems. My account sign in will accept my password. I purchase the new subscription. When I attempt to download it DOES NOT accept the same password. Technical Support cannot help. They pass me to Sales (for some unknown reason). Sales passes me back to Technical Support. Currently waiting for a callback in 48 hours. I suspect that my subscription has never been working. I have purchased Total Protection for the last few years and have to wonder if it WAS EVER working and was EVER protecting my computer. Shame on me for not checking.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Bought from a retail store. When I tried to install the download was interrupted by a error message. It gave a code of "0000x1200DS1." Phoned the 1-800 support and told the person who answered what had happen. The first thing he said was that he needed to get access to my computer, so I did. After a dos window open up on my screen and scrolled by he told me that people in my home have been opening spam e-mails. That all the smart devices in my home now had something called Asprox Botnet. He started making a list of how much I was going to have to pay to get rid of it on all my devices. He told me there was nothing I could do myself to get rid of it not even taking the computer repair can fix it, that I would have to go through him to get it fixed.

Then he brought up a old Wikipedia from that this infection can stop files from being loaded and that's why I can't load McAfee. I told him I was not doing anything until I looked in to it and that this whole thing he was doing sounded like a scam. He got very upset told me go ahead look into it but your going to have to call me back if you want to use your computer, and hung up on me. I have looked into it. Asprox has not been around in many years and our computers show do sign of having Asprox, we have never opened a spam e-mail and have always keep windows updated (which is what prevents getting Asprox). The new version Wikipedia says that "While mostly considered inactive since 2015, more recently supposed infection has been used as a scare tactic in tech support scams." So in to the TRASH with McAfee and on to better things

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I've about had it with McAfee blocking my game and causing 100 percent disk usage and causing not responding firestorm viewer, I had to shut off the real time because it was using 100 percent cpu and memory, and if they don't fix these issues, I am going to quit using mcafee, they claim they are protecting my computer, but so far they have dumped things into my registry while I was in the middle of game play and blocked my game plug ins even though I whitelisted them, they even blocked my Dell programs, this is beginning to annoy me, big time.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

McAfee 30 day trial was already loaded on my laptop win I purchased it. The 30 day trial has ended & I get so many Mcafee pop ups that cover 25% of my screen & makes it impossible to read the information on the screen. This company must be so hard up for customers that the only way they can make it impossible for users to see their screens. The problem does not go away if you purchase their product you receive just as many pop-ups trying to get you to upgrade. DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCT AND AT SOME POINT THEY WILL BE OUT OF BUSINESS.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

My computer is now running like a charm, Mcafee antivirus has been deleted from my computer because I had too many issues, never again will I have this crap antivirus on any of my computers... Stay away.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Last year we reached out to McAfee to let them know that we no longer had the computer with McAfee as we had upgraded and turned the old laptop in to be recycled. McAfee refunded the auto-draft and told us that we would no longer be auto drafted. Fast forward to this year. Got the $128.69 auto draft. I immediately contacted McAfee and told the operator that we no longer had the laptop with McAfee. She argued with me that she could not refund the amount even though my request was within the 60 day refund window. I kept telling her that we did not have any devices that had McAfee. Needless to say, I had to dispute the charge on my credit card. I have no idea what is going to happen now.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Received no antivirus product download (1st year subscription/10 devices)! Contacted customer support, spent an hour & a half on the phone but to no avail. At this point, I'm out $29.99 which has already been drafted from my account, I have no antivirus production & no tech support could help. Only to be told that a supervisor would have to call me back between 2.5 - 3.5 hours. 1 star too many! I wish I would have come here to read the reviews of others comments about their product/service experience before I made the mistake of trying to purchase. Lesson learned!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

This is quite a racket they've got going. If you have auto renew, these hustlers will debit the money from your account at 11 months. Meaning, that if your subscription is due to renew on January 2, they will take the money on December 2. All for your "convenience." And they don't send a reminder email for you. Also, I have installed, uninstalled, and installed again and yet, my files still have not scanned past July. What exactly am I paying for? Make sure you check if it's actually scanning your files. And DON'T use auto renew.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Ever since I did not renew my security software subscription with McAfee, I have received nonstop harassing ads in the lower right quadrant of my computer. It's at least 12 times a day, every day. I don't recommend this company unless you plan to have them for life, I'm finding that's about the only way to stop their very annoying ad campaign.

Brad

McAfee Company Information

1987
        2821 Mission College Blvd.
        Santa Clara