3.9/5 (1189 ratings)

About McAfee

McAfee Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: April 18, 2022

I purchased my new laptop and purchased the 2 year subscription to McAfee for, I paid for the subscription on 12/13/21 (expires 12/13/23). Today I open my credit card statement (4/18/22) and they charged me $140!!! I don't owe them anything and it's not up for renewal. I called and was on hold for 23 minutes, spoke with an employee for 7 minutes, at first he says I can give you 50% off... I said NO, I already paid for the service!! I want a total refund! He put me on hold and than the call dropped. Find another provider with better Customer Service and an easier way to get ahold of them. They don't show any e-mail or other contact information.

Original review: April 9, 2022

Second year I was slammed with a "Second Subscription". McAfee sends multiple offers at multiple price points. "Here's a discount if you renew now". I activated VPN as part of subscription, and was Double Subscribed... overlapping timelines. 2021 they "fixed" their error, fast forward to 2021 and they slammed me for $159.99 on my Visa Card. Escalated to Fraudulent Charge at Bank.. Worst Customer Service from McAfee

Original review: April 3, 2022

I went over to Norton Antivirus almost a year ago. And I still get emails from McAfee saying that my antivirus is going to expire or they couldn't renew my account three to four times a week! Each of these emails I put on my spam list and I'm still getting them coming through! They're horrible.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Not only is this a mediocre product, but the company automatically bills you for renewal each year and makes it very difficult to cancel the billing. I would never buy anything from this company again.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I no longer use this product yet in the last week I have received a spam message from McAfee. I will NEVER use them again for all the Garbage texts and emails I now get from them. I have tried everything to get them to stop. So unprofessional of a company wanting to protect us.

Original review: March 22, 2022

McAfee should be absolutely embarrassed with the piece of ** they put out. Product never works, zero customer service, total ** of a company. You're nuts if you buy from this **. It is constant, and there is never help.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I received a message from my bank that Mcafee tried to take 139.09$ out of my account even though I wasn’t set up for auto renewal and had ended my subscription. Thankfully it was declined. I turned off auto renewal because I noticed McAfee double charged me for two years and had me set up for two different accounts at the same time when only one was needed. I went to Walmart to buy it because it was on sale for less than a third of the price than to renew online. When I went to pay for it, it came up as almost double the price. An employee done a price check and tried to override the price that was being charged and it wouldn’t let them. They don’t honor their sales, they up your renewal price at least three times what you pay in the store and will take you for all they can. I went back to Norton and will never deal with them again. To this day they continue to try to take money from my account even after canceling my subscription.

Original review: March 4, 2022

I called in this McAfee customer services **. I got a connected technician. He entertains very well. McAfee technician fixed my all problems of computer, and now my computer is working fine, thank you for McAfee support team **.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

If you don't renew, McAfee installs their own viruses, Malware on your computer. Then they send you emergency msg. Pay and we will fix it. It is such a hoax. Try uninstalling. Nope. They have you there too. You have to go to their website. Almost impossible. This should be investigated by the Attorney General. Very illegal. STAY AWAY!!

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

I purchased a new computer that had McAfee on it - Free for 90 days. The entire time I kept receiving messages that it was expiring, and I was vulnerable to attacks. I eventually purchased the program; immediately, my computer was not working correctly. I made contact with customer support and spent two days, and the issue was never fixed. When I tried to get my refund back and auto-renewal stopped, it did not happen as promised. I will never be involved with them again.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Writing Reviews till Customer Support answers the phone. It gets one star only because I cannot give negative stars. Had an old subscription with them and I canceled the auto-renewal they still charged me. I have been holding for 1 hour 52 minutes and counting. If they are that busy with customer refunds something is seriously wrong. Avoid this stress and go with another more reliable service one with better customer service. Now at 1 hour 53 minutes.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

I have used McAfee for a few years, and I believe what this company is doing may fall under hidden and sneaky practices to make money off of customers. On last year, McAfee charged my credit card an auto renewal fee of $89.00 and I was unable to get it removed. Therefore, this year, I am a little more vigilant about the the product. Admittedly I don't recall seeing it in the license agreement last year. I purchased a total security for (5) downloads from Amazon on 12/20/21. I paid for it and then went to McAfee website to install. There were many attempts on the website to trick the customer into signing up for auto renewal because it offers no choice.

I believe I was able to avoid the auto renewal with the 1st download but with the 2nd download, the only way it will allow the download is if customer agrees with the license agreement before downloading. Today, I have made several attempts to contact the company with the contact phone number listed on the website but each time the call was dropped. Also, with the same email used to download the 1st one, on the same day, practically minutes later when I attempted to do the 2nd download, I received a message that says it does not recognize the email address. Does anyone know of a good, not so costly internet and virus security?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Updated on 03/18/2022: Since my last post regarding a credit, I have complained to the BBB (Mcacheat has not responded to BBB in 8 weeks) and I filed a complaint with the FTC and guess what, all of a sudden, mcacheat responded with an email that a refund check would be coming within 3 weeks time. The 3 weeks has come and gone and no refund yet. I will wait until the end of next week and then file another complaint with the FTC. Funny how, when I placed the initial order, they could charge my cc in 30 seconds, but cannot issue a credit to the same card, they have to send an elusive “check” that takes weeks. Interesting!!

Prior to the email from consumerrefunds@mcafee.com that a refund would be issued, they installed a trojan virus on my computer, nice, right? Read reviews on this site that others had experienced mcacheat installing malware on their computers as well, so beware of their type of revenge for those trying to cancel service. Thankfully, WEBROOT was able to remove it and helped me remove all traces of mcacheat from my computer, not as easy as “uninstall” and I had to have Webroot intervene to remove all the sneaky stuff they had loaded on my computer. Do not go thru Best Buy for Webroot software (read BB geek squad reviews and you will know why), get your Webroot anti virus software directly from Webroot. Mcacheat continues to send “monthly activity reports” to my email even though their software was wiped off my computer completely on October 4. 2021. The malware was found and removed in January this year.

Never in my life have I dealt with a company so dishonest, it has taught me to ALWAYS read reviews prior to doing business with internet companies. And be especially wary of those that either do not have phone numbers and hide behind email address that go nowhere OR has extremely convoluted menus and ridiculous wait times to get to a human. Those companies do not want to talk to you, they only want your money; they want to make is soooooo incredibly aggravating to get to a human that you just give up and let them keep your money. I work too hard to give money away. I would advise anyone looking for antivirus software to stay away from not only mcacheat but also the Russian companies-see their reviews.

Original Review: Forced to give at least one star, don't even deserve one, should be an option for zero stars!!! Ordered 2 yr antivirus subscription in March 2021. Declined auto renewal. Called for help downloading and found that auto renewal is a default, told technician I wanted to decline it. He promised to turn it off. Checked later in the month and it was not deactivated, called and spoke to Renz, he promised to deactivate it. I deactivated it prior to speaking with Renz, but apparently, as soon as you exit, it re-activates. Pretty sneaky and scammy if you ask me....

Contacted McAfee again in Aug/Sept for assistance with applying for t-mobile free 2 yr coverage due to data breach. Never could apply for the free service - McAfee could not help nor could T-Mobile. Why would Mcafee not help resolve this?? I was beyond frustrated at them. Also, found out that auto renewal had been set as active AGAIN despite my turning it off on sign up AND asking tech to uncheck it on call for help and calling specifically to have it deactivated. Finally had enough of them today and called to cancel service, asked for email proof service was cancelled, and requested a refund for the second year of service. Found out I was AGAIN signed up for auto renewal. And they are arguing about refunding the second year.

Mind you, each phone call involved transfers, extended holds on line no less than 23 minutes, long involved explanations from Rhoda, Raja and others about why they cannot cancel my subscription; cannot send email confirmation of cancellation and they want a supervisor to call me to handle it. Who has time for this aggravation??? At this stage, I do not trust anything they say and prefer all further communication in writing. If you don't mind a company that ignores your preferences and treats you like an idiot, places you on hold for 20 minutes at a time, reads their answers from a cue card , then this is the company for you. I cannot and would never recommend Mcafee to anyone. Too many other good companies that are better trained to serve the customer in a civil, ethical manner. Find anyone but mcafee for your antivirus protection.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2021

I stopped using them due to pricing for multiple devices - 2 phones, 3 desktops and a laptop. Daily multiple popups and emails is harassment. Hey sales department - take a freaking HINT! I cannot in any way recommend this company.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

My 91 year old mom’s renewal appeared and I called a McAfee to cancel her service. They gave me trouble when calling, saying their service is good and important to protect a computer. Then they lied to American Express and said I only cancelled future renewal, and charged my mom who can no longer use her computer, even though it says its service can be cancelled within 60 days.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

Despite McAfee being incompatible with my computer (it slowed it right down), I received assistance from a very patient technician guiding me through the complicated uninstallation process. I also received a refund without a problem. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

When looking for a new security supplier and because McAfee cropped time and time again high star rating, I went for their two year 5 device price (10/10/21). How wrong I was, it loaded on our 2 laptops fine and one phone but when it came to the 2 phone my trouble started, I I tried to contact them on their robot assistant system. This was tried for 2 days. I spent a further day looking for an email or phone without any success. After about 4 hours I finally gave up so frustrated and still no contact with McAfee Customer service or Technical department. I have had to run another free company to keep my phone usable.

All I wanted was for someone to look into my problem message that appears on my phone when I try and download their app. (This device is not compatible with this version.) I am not happy with the non existent customer services and uncontactable Technical department, I feel the whole setup is not fit for purpose and I will now ask for a refund, I only hope for the companies sake that the service is better in the US than here in the UK.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

I bought virus insurance from Mcafee about 4 years ago and they have been sending many ads to buy from them again. I ignored them and wrote and told them no. Big mistake. Two weeks ago Mcafee and Norton and AVG companies started sending so many ads that they took full pc screen. The ads flashed and danced around and their hope was that people in their frustration would sign by mistake and be locked in. Their insurance failed to do its job and I refused to buy from any of them.

I did buy a cheap policy from AVG about that time and they would protect me from that. 2 days later they sent several ads with threats to buy a more expensive item I said no and they started doing the same thing the other 2 were doing. Have reported them to fraud and scam agencies and we will see if justice will remove those criminals. Their being able to get on my pc caused enough damage. Had to rebuild it and put new programs on. Did not help as those scum from some dark alley were back doing the same thing and are doing it while I try to write this review,

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Don't do business with this company. They outsource everything to underpaid workers in the Philippines and India. We need American companies to keep the Americans working. It is a shame that this company has changed. At one time it was great.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

If you want your computer hijacked, feel free to install McAfee. Slows down computer, cant turn off firewall managed my McAfee. Because it keeps turning back on. Can not uninstall the software. Contact support with no response. I am being getting Permission denied on my personal computer with Admin account after starting PowerShell in Admin mode. Cannot uninstall from Control panel. Can not remove files from program files. It sucks. The worst software ever, and the worst thing is that I never installed it in the first place. Came preinstalled with Windows 10 (I got to say a lot about Microsoft as well). 1-866-622-3911.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I have paid subscription of Rs 999 as I got up a pop up message in my system that it's under risk. Payment done by net banking. I did not receive any link for activation and most of the customer service does not work and whoever replied to me requested me to contact sales. At the end of the day subscription is paid, no antivirus and no one to answer. Disgusting.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

McAfee antivirus posts endless pop ups on Google Chrome/Windows 10. This is as bad as any virus and extremely annoying! I have tried every posted way to stop the McAfee pop ups and nothing works. I have written to McAfee and opened up a technical assistance request describing the problem. McAfee responded with an email that said, "We are unable to complete your technical serviced request” and finally, “Your service request has been closed.” As a result of this incessant McAfee spam pop up campaign and poor customer service, I will NEVER purchase any McAfee product!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Mcafee is good if you're the daily web browsing individual. Go to their site for customer support and you find a database of what is supposed to help you. I personally am a gamer. I need to know how to shut off/allow through certain aspects of games that I play in order to be successful. Mcafee offers no customer support through their website other than a database to search for errors you might receive downloading/installing their product. In other words, they want you to buy their product and have it installed, but don't care what happens after that. As a gamer, I would not recommend Mcafee as your antivirus purchase. Mcafee has no customer service whatsoever to help you with anything after installation of their product.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I was very excited to play Final Fantasy 14 online with my friend, but unfortunately did not have enough space to install the game on my SSD. He recommended i download WinDirStat so I can de-fragment my drive. TURNS OUT, McAfee was taking up SIXTY gigabytes of real estate on my PC for literally nothing. This is why I'm leaving a one star review on the product (still don't really know what the product was in the first place). I recommend not messing with McAfee.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I have been using McAfee for 2 years. Have HP and Apple computers. The HP works fine with McAfee. The MacBookPro with McAfee is a disaster. Have had problems for a year. Just yesterday was on chat with an advisor for 1.5 hours. Most of the things he suggested were past my knowledge. In the end, my WiFI didn't work. He tried a few things and then disconnected. Finally called Apple and for $35 had them reinstate my wifi. I have 4 computers in my office and 3 worked on wifi. If you are having problems with your Apple product with McAfee I suggest you delete it and get another program that works with Apple.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I bought a new computer and it had a free trial of McAfee virus protection. I bought a year's worth for $20 at the end of the trial. Then the fun started! It wouldn't load. Naturally, I called customer service and was told that the protection I bought was not compatible with my computer but that they could sell me a compatible protection for a mere $200.00!! I said forget it and refund my money. They refused!! They refused!! This company runs a scam, as simple as that!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I've purchased 3 new computers over the past 7 years. On the first purchase, I signed up for antivirus protection. On the 2nd purchase (4 years later), I did the same. I ASSUMED that McAfee would 'void' the initial antivirus coverage and apply only the 2nd purchase. BOTH policies were for unlimited machines. I just purchased another computer and realized that I'm getting emails from them to buy ANOTHER antivirus package (remember, I ALREADY have an unlimited # of computers on these packages). I called customer service and they confirmed that I've had an autorenewal on BOTH of the first two computers; one renewing since 2015 and the other renewing since 2018. SO, the upshot is that they've been charging me DOUBLE for the last 3+ years!!! They confirmed that on the call. I then asked for a refund, and was told that they can't do that, EVEN FOR THE CURRENT YEAR. WATCH OUT FOR THESE SNAKES!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

A few years back, I purchase, what was at the time the latest version, of McAfee. Mind you, I purchased this software from a retail store for Office Supplies products. Upon installing and using the software, the background activities was slowing down my computer and what I had to do for my work. There might have been a function to turn this off like their competitor, Norton, but nevertheless, I decided to discontinue using the software in less than a day of using it, and return to my comfort zone with Norton. On my part, I did not realize was that you can go on their website and use their function to discontinue the subscription so you will not have to pay annually, which is something I did not think I have to do since I purchased it in my public store, and I thought simply reinstalling it would be the end of it. However, it did not dawn on me that they retain my payment information since I did not purchase the software on their website.

But here is the most baffling part of my experience with them: the debit card I used for the purchase was reported lost, so I had since been issued a new bank card to replace the new one. To my surprise, McAfee was able to charge my new card an annual fee since my subscription was still active on their website, and I was charged even more than what I paid. I took my complaint to the website, but I did not receive any response back from them. The only thing I could do was to go on their website and turn off the subscription. McAfee has over the years become more terrible and I am way more happier using Norton, which is what I have been using for years. I still do not know how they got my new card information, but I consider this a breach of security of my information.

Original review: July 30, 2021

Currently, McAfee command to activate is six times per day: each rising loud bells, and the final command to activate give a dire prediction should you not pay! On the first day after my free trial, I received the following warnings: all your photos will disappear at 9:00pm, activate McAfee: you are going to porn sites, activate McAfee, your text files will be destroyed at 11:00 pm, activate McAfee. Each day the number of warnings multiples Each day a new warning appears. I was afraid, but my photos are still present. I have never visited a porn site, but I see no emails to suggest otherwise.

Most frustrating is McAfee Customer Support telling me my problem has nothing to do with McAfee, and is caused by a lack of synchronization. I might accept this explanation, except I have entered hundreds of events on my calendar, finding only one duplicate: duplicate on a single day, not a multiplication building with each passing day. And, even with the one duplicate I have the option to delete the event from my calendar. The warning to activate is listed as an event with a yellow triangle, or an orange scary skull& crossbones, and there is no option to edit, no opportunity to eliminate the bells ringing, or even decrease the number of reminders from the default two.

Customer support tells me the incompatibility between McAfee and my Apple 10 phone is due to a problem with my calendar that affects only McAfee, but is not a problem for McAfee to research: WHILE NOTING SEVERAL CUSTOMERS HAVE CALLED CUSTOMER SUPPORT TO REPORT THE SAME PROBLEM—ALL THE FAULT OF THE CALENDAR APP, NEVER THE FAULT OF MCAFEE!

To me, the threat of eliminating my photos, my text files, my email unless I pay to activate McAfee amount to extortion. If the problem was found with even one additional entry, I might believe it is a calendar syncretism problem: not one other entry among hundreds has the same problem. I might believe an evil competitor has hacked the system to create a threat from McAfee, but Customer Support is adamant the problem is with my calendar. I am told all other person calling to report the same complain eliminated the problem by removing unrecognized calendars.

I would be interested to read from others with the problem to learn how they eliminated it, or if the problem persists. Right now, I am ready to get a new calendar app—not Fantastical— to enter hundreds of remaining events by hand to protect a new calendar from this apparent virus. Any less time consuming resolutions welcome: how can I edit or delete an event that alone does not permit an edit or change: unable to delete warning that multiplies with each passing day.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Okay, el Mick Kr@ppee McAfee.. stop trying to sell your junkware.. Half of the web is unsafe according to Site Advisor.. Ignored warnings for a while.. Never an issue.. Light bulb moment came.. UNINSTALL.

McAfee Company Information

1987
2821 Mission College Blvd.
Santa Clara