Intuit - Quickbooks

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Well, about a week ago my Quickbooks online account stopped allowing me to access from my work computer. I had a red exclamation next to the http: and it would not give me the area to sign on, although it did show the upgrade area for downloading the service on my computer. I called Quickbooks believing that since this is an online service, they would be able to get me back up and running. I was able to sign in from my home computer and my cell phone. So, the man who answered got me in a chat with him and signed onto my computer so he could see my screen. When he saw the red exclamation he proceeded to tell me that I would need a 3rd tier tech support and then he opened my notepad and typed in the cost. I immediately was angry. Why would I pay someone to get to my sign on page when I had done nothing to change my computer or do anything that would cause me not to be able to sign in.

I have plenty of Virus protections and privacy walls. When I clicked on the exclamation, it stated that my connection may not be private. I was angry, and then it dawned on me, they are just trying to sell tech support, there is nothing wrong with my computer, they probably sent out something so that I would not be able to sign on. So, I did a bit of a rant... I do have professional computer experts downstairs at my company, but I did not want to take them away from that, but I told him, now I would, I would find out what Quickbooks had done to create this problem and then I would call my son-in-law the lawyer and I would sue them for trying to dupe me into purchasing tech support. As the tech watched my screen, I used my snipping tool to copy everything he said, the prices he had typed into my notepad and I told him goodbye.

As I closed the chat program, the second screen came up with a review of the customer service rep, which, I began to type up as not helpful, but then it dawned on me, I had probably scared them, so I opened up a new screen and tried to sign into Quickbooks which had not worked in at least a week, and guess what? It suddenly worked... out of the blue. The customer rep had done nothing, at least on my side, and suddenly the problem had disappeared. I find it very funny that threatening them with a lawsuit suddenly fixed my problem. But, I guess that is up to you to believe or not. I truly believe they are just trying to get money out of businesses to fix problems that they create. If I was a big business, I might have just paid it and forgot about it, but I am not. $395 is a decent amount of money for my company to pay out, and I am not going to just throw it out the window.

We are a parent volunteer non-profit organization that has been set-up on Quickbooks for years. The treasurer position will transfer from person to person every year or two and Quickbooks is now telling us without calling the original treasurer who set up the program they cannot give us a validation code. Of course there is a possible workaround that can take a few days (or a week when you have a holiday coming up), but in the meantime I am unable to pay vendors or parents. This is not acceptable to an organization like ours that doesn't have a consistent laptop or person doing our books from year to year.

We do not need payroll, or invoicing, or the myriad of other options... we just need to keep track of where our money is going and cut checks, but now I can't even do that! THANK YOU INTUIT! Thank you for the amazing program that is only good for the recycling bin AND for locking down our records on a program WE PAID FOR. We are looking at other self-contained programs that we can switch to that will not hinder our year over workload.

Quickbooks lost 6 months' worth of data. Spent 1.75 hours troubleshooting. The technician had no idea what he was doing. Problem is not solved. Asked to talk to a manager. He had no idea what he was doing. Tech support is in India. Nobody gives a crap or has a value of time and resources there. They reflect their cultural values onto the customer, in that, everybody is a number, nobody matters, nothing is urgent, and NOTHING effective will get done. Completely dysfunctional. Those people don't get it and they will NEVER get it. Quit sending tech support to 3rd world countries. It's cheap and completely ineffective.

In July 2016 I signed up to use Method, an app of Intuits Quickbooks online (QBO), to manage my carpet/tile cleaning business. Method, which is supposed to sync with QBO, updated their computer platform in mid-August which caused my customer data to be severely messed up once it synced with QBO. Invoices were missing names. Some had duplicate names. Some had duplicate mailing address, etc. It was 2 1/2-month nightmare trying to get the data straight as Method blamed QBO and QBO blamed method, neither taking responsibility for the error.

It was important for us to have our data correct in Method so we could use Saasphalt, an app based on the Method platform, that I could fully customize for functionality of my business. In late July 2016, I had an in-depth phone conversation with Matt Raiser, creator of Saasphalt, about the customizations I needed for my business. We weren’t able to start the customizations right away because he told me I needed to get set-up with Method first, which took almost 3 months because of ongoing sync issues with Method and QBO and our errant data.

I explained to Matt I needed him to build a box where I could choose which areas (plural) I was servicing in a customers home. I sent him attachments of what I needed (which he said he couldn’t open), as well as a copy of my paper invoice, which I asked him to make Saasphalt function like my paper invoice. On my invoice it has a rooms/areas column on the far L where I can write in which areas were being serviced. I also asked for duplicate buttons to be able to duplicate estimates, work orders. I was told it would take 2-3 hrs at $150/hr to complete the customizations; however, what he made I can’t even use. He created a dropdown box where only 1 area could be checked at a time. I have an email where he referenced areas (plural) 7 times, but he claims he didn’t know we wanted to mark areas.

I had a 3-way conversation with him and my assistant on Oct 13th 2016 to discuss what could be done to expedite us using his program. He told us in order to choose multiple areas, we needed to use a different screen in his system called Proposals. This was the 1st we had heard of the term Proposals essentially. It’s a fancy word for estimates. We had a great conversation and it seemed like we were all on the same page until that weekend I saw $1050 charged for the useless dropdown box and the 2 duplicate buttons (not $300-$450 as I was quoted). He also told us on the phone my monthly charges would be $140/month for using his company. Turns out it’s $210 as I have to pay for him to have access to my account for the customizations. He has done ZERO work on the account since our conversation. He has ignored more emails than he has answered.

My assistant has asked multiple times for him to not charge for the useless single area dropdown box and asked what it would cost to finish the customizations. No response. We did get an email last week (Nov 7th) that said he noticed problems with our working relationship and his company won’t be able to assist with Method/Saasphalt customizations any longer. I emailed asking specifically what the issues were with our working relationship and he response was I have no interest in rehashing the issues. I literally have not been able to use Saasphalt AT ALL in the past month and as of right now I can’t even print an invoice to mail to a customer, as it comes up blank. He overcharged me, made an error and walked away.

I was charged $1050 for a job I was quoted $300-$450. I was told it would be $140/month. It's $210/month (since switching to Saasphalt). I’ve paid over $1500 for a program since August that I haven’t been able to use AT ALL in the past month and only for a few weeks before my data got messed up. Matt has wasted a tremendous amount of my time and my assistant’s time. I’ve had to take off from work to address these issues with Matt and been losing sleep because of the added stress!

I have tried to get Intuit/QBO to hold their 3rd party apps, Method and Saasphalt, accountable and they said they have no control over what they do. I find this absurd as I have been paying monthly and NOT getting the service I paid for. I’ve repeatedly asked to not be charged until I can actually use the program, but every month I’ve been charged. This past month it was $70 more and I CAN’T EVEN PRINT AN INVOICE, much less create a new one. 3 months of paperwork has been piling up and really interfering with day to day operations of my business and no one cares. Hopefully you can help me!!

Today I received an email from one of the higher-ups at Method who says my account will be terminated Dec 16th. I’ve repeated asked what I’ve done wrong, why I’m being punished, and why I’ve been paying for something that I CANNOT USE and no one has answers. Please help me! I looked online and Intuit has hundreds of complaints against them both. Method and Saasphalt are 3rd party apps of theirs. I find it hard to believe a company that big doesn’t hold their apps accountable for their actions! I have numerous emails backing up my complaint and mistreatment.

I build systems and servers. I have installed QB Pro 2015 and the Accountant version several times on my main invoicing system several times. Some update has slowed their software down to the point I am now looking for a viable replacement accounting package. My invoicing system is an Intel i7 Skylake 6700 system. Running WIN7 64 (other systems in my shop are running versions 8.1 and 10. All 64). 16GB RAM, etc. My processes running are set as about as minimum as I dare. I am also experiencing intermittent "... cannot print another program..., which is BS. There are no other programs running. It is getting so damn slow, I just have to sit and wait and wait. I have now had to write a quick batch file to clear our/rename QBPRINT, but most time I have to reboot either the system or the software.

All my systems had a remove Hard Drive Activity LED mounted on the monitors to verify that the hard drive are processing. The main invoicing system just runs, and runs, and run. Here's what seems to be running for QB Pro: QBW32. EXE 32 at 203,404K (enormous resource hog), qbupdate. exe 32 at 11,936K (Why is an update hogging resources?), splwow6. exe at 5,572K (a Win program for printing 32-bit apps on a 64 system), qbmapi64. exe at 2.664K.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

I have been using Quickbooks since 2001. Mainly for writing checks and creating invoices. I upgraded to QB 2014 Premier Pro and started to use it for my real estate business which for me was a bad idea in the history of bad ideas! QB 2014 is not recommended for Windows 10 users! I hired two different pro advisers. The first one charged me $90 per hour and totally screwed up my Quickbooks which required a reinstall of the software! The second adviser gave me instructions on how to reconcile my bank balance and it's still not working and won't return my calls. I am going to use Excel 2016 from now on. I will advise all my Real Estate colleagues to stay away from this product! I have spent $500 for advisers for nothing!!! All is I have now is a hole in my wallet and have to do everything from scratch using Excel! In my opinion the only thing pro advisers are good at is grabbing your money!

I signed up to a subscription at $24.50 per month for Quickbooks Online Australia despite having read several negative reviews to test for myself. Numerous attempts to log on initially denied stating no account exists. I attempted with two emails as one no longer exists. No links online to cancel subscription therefore making this entire process a waste of time. Robert in Sales just said "sorry unable to help as there is nothing he could do." Sent several chat requests which I was then locked out to further contact. Sent an email as well as one to Facebook Messenger. As you can read, my vocabulary is basic & in point format as this is unproductive & certainly a waste of my precious time.

Payroll problems also - I had a payroll issue that they said I could not resolve it myself. They said my accountant had to resolve it and it created $300 in billable hours ON TOP of still paying a monthly fee.

I spent numerous hours today attempting to get my payroll subscription to work. I was given a "service key" that was invalid and customer service was unable to get it corrected. They also refused to refund my payment. I have a close friend that specializes in class action lawsuits and has won extremely large awards against major corporations. I will be contacting her this afternoon since I am certain that I am not the only one affected adversely by this company! BTW that the last person I spoke with who said his name was "Archie" admitted that it was a false name and that there were several others "named Archie". We will be subpoenaing the phone records to find out who I was speaking to.

We have used Quickbooks for mac for years now. The most current update for Quickbooks for MAC does not sync well with the new update for MAC. Quickbooks should be making sure that their updates sync well with any other system. At least once a day, when I'm processing invoices, the stupid Quickbooks system crashes on and I have to completely close Quickbooks and start all over again. Any information that I have processed in the morning is then gone and I have to start all over again.

Right now Quickbooks sucks. They need to fix the damn updates so it works properly. Also, I now have to press control return to go down a line in invoices and can only have 2 lines worth of information in the field or is disappears. If I didn't check the invoice in view before sending it to the customer, they would be super pissed. Quickbooks users spend so much money on all these updates and the actual product. They need to fix the damn thing and stop pissing people off.

I own a small auto repair business. We bought Quickbooks Pro desktop version because we were having some invoice issues with the online version. Upgraded to the desktop version, worked a lot better for 3 months. Then when it came to tax time, couldn't go back to see invoices more a month. Called support. After hrs of holding on the phone they concluded that we need to update to their support package for 300$ some dollars... they wouldn't tell me why their software was having issues. What a scam company. This software is less than 3 months old and no warranty, no support offered until we are on their service plan. Complete waste of money. We will be looking for a new software. SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE AND PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM COMPANY!

Only one person could access the QB program and their computer opened in single-user mode. When that person switched to multi-user, no other users could access QB. Contacted QB support, the tech asked what version of Windows we were using then proceeded to tell me that QB Pro 2014 was not compatible. I told him we had been using it with Windows 10 for months. He tried to get me to upgrade and when I said no, he told me he could fix my issue for a 1-time fee of $300 because we don't have a service contract. I was able to reboot the server that held our QB and that fixed the problem. It was so unprofessional to have him try to upsell me instead of giving me support.

I've been using Quickbooks Premier Warehouse since January. At first, I was enthusiastic, coming from a too 'simple' accounting software (Simply Accounting). Quickbooks presents itself well. If you know a little about accounting, the software is built in a way that you won't be completely lost. But don't let its good looks fool you: Quickbooks 2016 was crashing so often at the beginning, that I ended up having a damaged company file with super slow performances. It's been 45 days, and their customer service (conveniently located offshore) is unable to fix it. They do claim that they will return the files within 48 hours... and yeah: even if it's their buggy software that damaged your file: you will have to purchase support... and it's not cheap! 300$!!!

On top of it, as the updates arrive, they remove functionalities!!! Yes, you read right. When I first created all my products, I could add them in the 'Add/Edit Multiple Items'. I had my excel sheet with products and descriptions and pricing, and I could copy/paste the products into the software... That part worked well! Today, I have to add new products... 300 of them. Guess what? The unilaterally decided that I shall not add more than 15 products at a time. Next line of product I purchase that has 1500 products, I'll be copy pasting 100 times! I AM VERY ANGRY NOW. Oh, and if you plan on running a business that has a lot of skus, such as a auto parts store, or any warehouse distribution business: DO NOT BUY QUICKBOOKS. It allows only a pitiful 14500 products. Seriously considering a class action against them.

I am a Mac user and recently upgraded operating systems - from El Capitan to OS Sierra. I use Quickbooks for my small business and check book - Mac 2014 - only 2 years old. Oops... Shouldn't have done that! Seems that (without warning), OS Sierra is not supported by Mac 2014. Keep in mind that one of the selling points for Quickbooks is guaranteed support for at least 3 years! Long story short - if I wanted to access any of my records, I had to purchase Mac 2016. Yes, they offered a 'special' and it 'only' cost me $149.99 but I feel that my personal information was held for ransom. I had NO choice. Not happy!! Now that I have my records back, I will be considering a change.

The idiot CSR after being explicitly asked to remove 1 entry from my account wiped out days worth of entries and work hours. Her response "I'm sorry." Felix the supervisor said the Quickbooks computers could not undo her royal ** up... Canceled the subscription and got all my money back EXCEPT FOR DAYS OF LOST HOURS SETTING UP MY ACCOUNT AND A YEAR'S WORTH OF DATA. ** unreal! McDonald's employees are smarter than the people they DO NOT train here.

I tried the budgeting upgrade of Quickbooks online with pro plus, it was sub-par so I went to downgrade and they will only let you export to Quickbooks desktop. I have hundreds of recurring transactions though that are auto-charge sales receipts that bill people for their website hosting and maintenance. These would not be exported, and therefore the only way I could downgrade is if I was prepared to manually recreate each of these hundreds of recurring transactions, which I can imagine I would have to call each customer for. So now Quickbooks will be taking an extra $27 a month from me for the rest of my life for features I have no interest in. They don't make it obvious when you upgrade that you will NEVER be able to downgrade, and they don't seem to think this is illegal. Taking $27 a month from someone against their will can't be legal.

This past year we have had several major issues with Quickbooks, most recently, a corrupt data file, which meant we, a international business, was unable to enter any new data into our file. Five business days later, still no resolution and can't get the tech working on my file to call the right ext to speak to me about it. Requested a call from the supervisor because the tech had left for the day, at 11am. Two and a half hours later, I started on yet another epic game of hot potato with their, wrongly named, customer support.

In today's competitive economy I am dumbfounded that a business can keep a customer on hold, bouncing them around from one person to the next for FIVE hours only to say - "sorry you have not been able to use our service/product for 5 days, sorry we keep telling you we will call you back then don't, sorry we can't get your extension right for the third time. But youre not entitled to anything. Sorry about your luck. Feel free to cancel your service. That's your choice." How on earth is this company still in business?

Last night I finished up working on my QuickBooks accounting entries. Today I returned to enter data and then after entering my password, QuickBooks wouldn't open. I call Support (India) and after the tech person connected to my desktop he indicated that the Company file was corrupt. I asked how that could be. He explained it was likely viruses. I haven't had any virus issues. I indicated that the software seemed unstable. He said the only option I had was to pay $499.99 for a one-year tech service. After exclaiming my complete displeasure, finally it seemed I had no choice.

THE IS COMPLETE PREDATORIAL PRACTICES ON THE PART OF INTUIT. After paying up they ran Microsoft malicious software to detect for viruses. When complete it indicated "0 Files" affected. Finally, the tech came back on the line indicating that they took my Company file and repaired it on one of their servers. I asked what was wrong with it. NO ANSWER. I indicated that their virus software detect no such threats, whereas he was certain earlier that the file was corrupted by viruses. NO RESPONSE. THE COMPANY HAS MAJOR BUSINESS PRACTICE ISSUES. It exploits the very customers who have already paid for their software. A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IS LONG OVER DUE!!

In order to transfer/import my 2009 PRO to my new HP all in one w/ windows 10. I would have to purchase a new version of Quickbooks PRO 2016, Purchase Price $ I really did not have a problem with that, didn't like it too much but conceded that an upgrade might be good! Lo and behold the QB was not done with me! Upgrade could NOT be done, by me or Geek squad, or HP support! Because I would have to purchase additional support/protection plan from Quickbooks starting at $399 up to $2199 plans. In the meantime I could NOT access my own 2009 PRO any longer on new computer! I am now returning program.

Updated 10/28/2016 - After numerous attempts to install 2016 Pro QB with the help of The Geek squad, Hewlett-Packard and the QB customer support! They all were Unable to transfer my customer list, invoices or records from 2009 to 2016 QB Pro 2009 program, from my old computer to my new computer with the new version of QB Pro 2016! Although QB support said they could if I paid an additional $399 dollars for a 3 mo support program. So I returned the new Computer back to Best Buy without incident and full refund. This was purchased 9-28-2016, the program QB Pro 2016 was purchased same time. Best Buy would not refund the QB program, said it had to be returned to QB. I made copy of receipt and mail out Oct 9, I just received a letter from them stating that they will not refund, because THE 60 Day Guarantee is UP! Today is OCT 28, 2016. It's not even 60 days TODAY! This is BS! I want my $199 dollars back!

Running a small business we started out with Quickbooks 18 years ago. We also used the payroll subscription which adds an annual fee on top of the Quickbooks software. It was well worth it. Last year when entering new customers we got an error message that we were "out of items". Bottom line is we had more customer files than Quickbooks Pro would allow. The only two options were to start a new company file with customers from that point on (which would now allow proper data compilations for reporting) or upgrade to Quickbooks Enterprise. I was talked into the Enterprise version by an Inuit advisor. BIG MISTAKE. While there are bells and whistles that I do not use and never will - the only advantage was the addition of "unlimited" items - customers and payroll subscription is included. It cost me $1200.00.

What they do not tell you, and much to my surprise, I got an email stating my "annual subscription" was about to be deducted from my checking account. ANOTHER $1100.00. When I called Intuit I was told that they were sorry that it was not explained to me that the Enterprise software is not "purchased" but rather "subscribed to" and in order to continue using you must pay the fee. On top of that, I was told that if I decided to go another route - everything I have entered into the Enterprise version would be "LOST". This is extortion!!! I was never told this was not a stand alone program but a SUBSCRIPTION that must be paid or you do not operate your business!!! I will be looking for alternatives. Intuit seems to have taken a wrong turn somewhere and their business practices are unscrupulous to say the least.

My company has been a QB user for years. Since the new required upgrade of 2016 we have had nothing but issues. The payment network no longer functions, its new replacement is horrible and is full of errors and when you call tech support they want to charge me for errors that they have created with their new and improved software. I totally understand the contract charge if we were at fault, however; the new version is riddled with problems. These problems seem to pop up at the time where billing and other "normal" things need to be handled or done and then we have to pay them to get access to our new improved upgraded features. It's time to look for another program with less "features" and better customer service.

I bought the hard disc version of QB for $250, Quickbook Pro 2015. This week my computer crashed and I could not get QB to re-install. I called and they said can only use for one year. QB 2015 no longer valid for installation in 2016. So they essentially require you to re-purchase each year, which is not disclosed anywhere on their sales material. To me, this is outright fraud. That was my first effort to "step up" to QB from a more simple system. For my small business, I am quitting QB and going to a different alternative. Look at all these terrible Quickbook experiences. How do they still have such a huge market share???

I never write reviews - but felt compelled in this case. I've been a Quickbooks business customer since Quickbooks first started, decades ago. It's a great program and getting better and better. However, many of their new features, some of which are required, don't always install properly and hence, require customer/tech support. That in itself is already a problem but not nearly as big of a problem as their notoriously bad customer service. After more than ten hours sharing my desktop with customer service, many phone calls, and several foibles by Quickbooks representative I have lost the ability to manage my business for almost a month now.

I suggest considering another program. The Quickbooks issues at hand remain unresolved and I am beside myself at the thought of having to call them again. There are good people at Quickbooks who really want to help, but the company protocols get in the way. Many of the employees are not equipped with either training or authority to provide efficient service. Bottom line is: Good People - HORRIBLE SUPPORT.

Quickbooks Pro Screw Job - Just got an email from them telling me my two year old software will not work with the latest Mac operating system upgrade and that my option is to pay them another $150 to upgrade. This is extortion! I am sick and tired of their lack of standing behind the product they sold me. They rely on doing this mid-year so you have no choice but to pay them or re-enter all the data from the current year in a new accounting program.

Every time Apple comes out with a new operating system, the version of Quickbooks for Mac that I have on my Mac stops working. Intuit claims they are improving their software to work with the latest Mac operating system. **!!! My version of Quickbooks Pro 2012 for Mac is just fine for me. I simply use it for a check register, to do invoicing, and keep track of expenses. Now that I have upgraded to MacOS Sierra, Quickbooks Pro 212 will not open. Intuit is FORCING ME, and every other owner of this version of the software, to "upgrade" to Quickbooks for Mac 2016. And, get this, the normal price is $299.95, but they are offering a "discounted" price of $199.95. How do these dirtbags get away with this, year after year after year?

I recently upgraded my Quickbooks from 2008 to 2016 and the new program would not read in the 2008 company file even though their customer service said it would. Do not trust this company. After sending them my company file for them to upgrade, I never heard back from them. I finally fixed it myself by downloading bootleg copies of QB 2010 and 2013 then sequentially upgrading the company file from 08 to 10 to 13 and the next until I got to 2016. 2016 is unbelievably buggy. I really wish that I had stayed with 2008, it was rock solid. The company keeps trying to sell me service plans so they can tell me how to work around their program bugs. I am not going to Pay Them so that I can help them debug their program.

QUICKBOOKS! Don't be fooled, read this to resolve your issue! WHAT A SCAM! I've used QB since 2008, desktop version. With the 2015 version I was forced to use their online as well. Today, I called regarding an error message I kept seeing pertaining to a "sync manager" file missing. Tech told me I had 2 options: pay $399 for 1-time data file fix or $499 for 1-year subscription. What a load of BS. Told me there was a problem with my data, but when I questioned him further as to why the error is referring to a "sync" problem which I don't use anyway and NOT a data error, he cut me off, insisting I only had these two options. I kindly told him to KISS MY A!!

Funny thing is, I went into my files, did a search for the error string, deleted the "sync manager" file and guess what, no more error message. So take that Quickbooks! There should be a class action suit because this is FRAUD plain and simple. How can a company be allowed to tamper with its own software just to cause hardships on subscribers?

For years my company has paid for automatic backups with Intuit. A few weeks ago, our server crashed so I contacted Intuit to help me restore the company from our backup. Intuit and its staff have not been able to find our data! In fact it appears that I have been paying for a vital service that has never been performed! Throughout the years, from time to time I contacted Intuit to ask if there is a way to know if the data backup was working. They always assured me it was. These cheats and liars are going to cost me thousands to rebuild my data. Do not trust this company! Perhaps this has happened to you? Should we all get together and form a class action suit against Intuit? By the way, yes, I contacted their Support. My situation was "elevated." Still no data and no REFUND!

I called in for support on my billing and accounts (I am getting charged for 3 accounts but can only log in to 2 of them and 1 doesn't have my info in it.). I'm now on hold with a 5-10 minute wait time. Not so bad but this is the 5th time I've been rerouted. The one guy I talked to at the "President's Office" said he can't help unless I've had customer service trouble so he sent me on this wild goose chase. Clearly this company cares little about their customer satisfaction.

Intuit is the worst company I've ever dealt with. The support has been hopeless. They have an automatic update process that caused the loss of my data. The tech support puts you on hold and just never come back online. Will somebody please do a Class action lawsuit against this company? They have been allowed to buy out their competition so there are few choices that I know of. It is the worst company you'll ever encounter. If you value your data and time please look for an alternative to QuickBooks Pro.

Intuit - Quickbooks Company Profile