1.06/5
Based on 89 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 25, 2018

748 Intuit - Quickbooks Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

Having used Intuit - Quickbooks since the inception of our business in 2011, we have always had issues with upgrading to the newest version each year. However, this year it was far worse. Upon installation of the latest Intuit - Quickbooks Enterprise 18, we were locked out of our own company file. The password which worked flawlessly with the previous version of Quickbooks Enterprise 17 would no longer be accepted. We were forced to do a Password Reset/Recovery, where Intuit emailed us a temporary password. We were very shocked that Intuit took over our company file and locked out EVERY user we had! In essence we were held hostage by a program that we paid over $2,000 for!

If Intuit is able to change our company password remotely what other data do they have access to? Makes you wonder if their system is secure and if they are not harvesting our information for financial gain. Intuit needs to resolve their issues and protect the end user from potential security threats by not allowing the Intuit company file to be accessed remotely EVEN if it is by Intuit itself.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have now for a month and a half spent hours at a time with Quickbooks customer service trying to figure out why my bank statements for specific date ranges cannot be downloaded into my Quickbooks. My qb won't except the qbo format and I have at nausea troubleshot the web connect/direct connect issues with customer service. I have qb pro 2018 and am now more knowledgeable than the Philippines customer service supervisors that are very limited in ability to help.

Quickbooks online support in the US will not help because they say they do not know about the desktop format etc... simply, it's because online services are more profitable for Quickbooks so the desktop users get the cheap overseas customer service. Quickbooks corporate operators will not help in any way at all. A month and a half problem is simply unacceptable and not normal. Conclusion, Quickbooks does not care about my problem and it doesn't even matter why. I have already paid, they have my money and good luck buddy. I hope the higher ups in Quickbooks experience tenfold the frustration in all aspects of their lives that I have had to deal with this low quality Quickbooks experience.

Get expert buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 16, 2018

It is rare that I run into a company with a lack of integrity, such as QuickBooks. I have been banging my head against the wall wondering why I continue to receive bills - months after cancelling my account. Today I called customer servicer (the gentleman was wonderful). He verified that when I opened my account via a phone conversation with their sales team, two accounts where opened - under the same name, email address - but different levels. The company has been charging me double and now refuses to refund me for the second account in full. The customer servicer rep stated, "it's our policy to only refund two (2) months, but we're going to give you six (6) of the fifteen (15!) months back. I will not recommend this company to others - for sure!

Original review: May 12, 2018

After purchasing software, they assigned it to a different person with the same name as me. Then I spent hours on the phone trying to get it sorted out. They finally refunded the money and had me buy a new license. Then when I finally got the software working, it was still showing the other business and person on my account. Then I filed transfer of ownership form. They told me to send a copy of my receipt (shouldn't they have that on file?). I did, to the specified address, and they emailed and said I had failed to send the documents requested and closed the case!

It always seems like it is someone from a foreign country at tech help that has a hard time understanding the problem. Yes, two different people can have the same name and have different business names, professions, and even live on opposite sides of the country. I wish I had never heard of Quickbooks! I think the product is ok, but I don't want to pay for someone else's license and then not exist myself in Quickbooks Land. Aaaarrrrgggg!!!

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have never been so angry with Quickbooks system as I am now. I had desktop 2015 version and was forced to purchase a new version. I never realized the incompatibility and complete difference between the two versions. This transfer occurred towards the end of the first quarter. No payroll information was transferred over; half of my payroll was on the desktop and half was on online. Therefore I am not able to generate quarterly reports to turn into Fed and State. I wasted over 2 hours working with Jasmine tech and Debra supervisor with the only statement that it is my fault for switching in the middle of the the first quarter and should have waited until the quarter completed! Are you kidding me?!

If that is your policy, then Intuit should NEVER have allowed this transfer until the quarter was completed!!! This policy should be made upfront and public! I was also told that it is desktop's problem not online and for me to call them. I KNOW that if I called desktop, they would say it is online's problem. So now I have to go back to my desktop version and enter all the payroll data in order to run my first quarter reports. Really?!!! I also asked for a statement to provide to the IRS and State that my reports are late because I inadvertently made the mistake of transferring into your system which does not support payroll liability payment information!!! I hope my 2 hour session was recorded and will be reviewed because what they told me is unacceptable!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: May 3, 2018

This is my first review on Consumer Affairs but I can't hold it to myself. Anything I try to do online on Quickbooks I get an error. I try different functionalities (login to the bank account, setting up payroll, seeding invoice) and nothing works!!! I don't understand how they are charging monthly fees for it. I will have to look for another tool! But save yourself time and look somewhere else!

Original review: May 1, 2018

In the many years I have used Quickbooks, I have seen many ploys to get users to upgrade the software they bought, but this latest one is the worst. At the end of this month Quickbooks will close the door to anyone using their software program who wants to be able to download transactions from their banking institutions. I am an independent contractor and have bought and used many versions of Quickbooks over the years. In the past, Quickbooks would pull their technical support from a product once it had "aged out'. Most experienced users already know how to use their system so don't require technical support, and could keep using their older software.

Now the software developers have decided to "close the door" to certain parts of the software, making it unusable. I didn't buy a subscription to this software, I bought a standalone product. Now I am forced to pay an additional $220 just to make my software work. I download transactions from my bank on a weekly basis to make sure I am capturing all of the online debit purchases made by my clients. Quickbooks is taking away this service which I already paid for and making me buy the entire program again. This is usurious. Quickbooks should be taken to court for its unsavory practices.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I had a problem opening my Quickbooks 2018 Pro this morning although it worked fine last night. I contacted tech support and a tech asked to control my computer and run diagnostics. He determined that my files were corrupt and he can fix them. He explained that I had two choices of tech support plans that I can purchase. The first was for three years/299.00 and a second choice for five years/599... I explained that I did not believe that the problem was caused by me and I wanted them to fix it at No Charge. He explained that he felt that this happened by some sort of upgrades ran on my computer for other programs (which did not happen). I asked if running a backup of good data would help the situation and he assured me that it would not.

I asked if there were other support options and he offered a one time support session for 199.00 (Why was this not offered before?). I called my data backup company which restored the data with no problem. The hard sales and lack of support are very disappointing. I do not believe that there are many other option or I would take my business elsewhere. BEWARE!!!

Original review: April 18, 2018

Product didn't download properly and the website says you have 60 day to refund! They harassed me about getting my refund AFTER I shared that the PC (brand new) I was using wouldn't download the software and I was UNABLE TO USE IT TO PREPARE OR FILE TAXES. They suck in so many ways.

Original review: April 18, 2018

In case no one told you (as happened with me), you the customer after cancelling and migrating all of your information offline, have to go back into QBO and cancel your own subscription and payroll plan. Otherwise, they will continue to charge your credit card - even though you've spent hours and hours on the phone with them remoted into your computer migrating all of your info off their website. I don't believe the left hand knows what the right hand is doing. I was told that they would refund all charges because I cancelled within their 60 day limit. Apparently not true - or the one department simply does not know what another department is doing.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I converted from QB desktop to QB online and it has been a nightmare. The customer service team is terrible as they are not knowledgeable about any part of the payroll process. I have spent well over 7 hours on the phone trying to fix errors from the conversion. This is the worst product I have ever purchased. If there is a class action suit against them I will certainly join.

Original review: April 3, 2018

This company had an account opened in my name for 7 years. They charged me $34.90 a month for 7 yrs. They never sent me a statement or email therefore I had no idea about this account. They refused to give me a refund.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I recently processed my first credit card transaction and it was the worse experience I've had in my 19 years of doing business. My main issue is disclosure and transparency of fees and hold policies. When I called into customer service to get help no one had the authority to change or modify the transaction (or that's what they told me) and to me that's a major CSR issue. I use to process with Square, but I thought I would give Intuit a try because of the accounting features connected with the service, but I make a huge mistake. I will be taking my merchant processing business back to Square, which is seamless and simple for small business owners. Also I will be speaking to my attorney about your account set up and disclosure policies/procedures.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Very weak support system. First tier tech support requires asking you multiple questions over about 30 minutes only to get to the bottom line, They will need money to help you as it is not covered under your current plan. The program would not work! What a scam. I wish for a better option. :(

Original review: March 23, 2018

After over 10 hours on the phone in 6 different calls over a period of two weeks with their support departments, I was NOT able to correctly input data using the online version of QBs. It was not a problem uploading from my QBs desktop, it was a "cliche" they had on their end, which they said that they were trying to "fix". Two weeks later, they were still trying to "fix" their cliche. The QBs software is an excellent product but if something minor goes wrong the personnel in their support area is totally incompetent. I have never been subjected to less qualified individuals in over 50 years of business. I would not advise anyone using their online version and stay with the desktop. QBs needs to re-evaluate their service. It is far below average. I have now talked with other business persons using QBs and they all say the same thing. "Good product but poor customer service".

Original review: March 21, 2018

I was a customer with Quickbooks Premier. I went to Costco on 2-25-18 and bought Quickbooks Pro 2018 which came with 1 year of payroll on 2-28-18. I called Quickbooks and cancelled my Premier and was told everything was cancelled. On 3-20-18 Quickbooks took 430.81 out of my checking account so I called them to get a refund. They told me they needed to talk with someone that no longer works for me to be able to cancel the account after I was told last month it was cancelled and they cannot refund my account until they put me as head of the account and that would happen within 24 hours. I called them 26 hours later and they told me it might take up to a week and they still won’t refund my money even though they agree it’s wrong. Then they called me and said they need me to submit the following info before they can remove the person and put me as primary.

• Proof that you're paying for subscription, such as a bank statement that shows the subscription payments, the account number and your name.
• Board Meeting Minutes: We will accept a currently dated board of trustee meeting minutes showing who the newly designated Primary Contact should be.

• Other documentation demonstrating you have been appointed the Primary Contact: This must include identification of the person who has appointed you, proof of the authority of that person to speak for the company and a letter from that person directing us to appoint someone else to be the Primary Contact.

Proof of authority of that person which may be one of the following:
a) Business license (Should indicate the name of the person authorizing your request)
b) State Registration (Should indicate the name of the person authorizing your request)
c) Articles of Incorporation (Should indicate the name of the person authorizing your request)

d) Other legal documents (Should indicate the name of the person authorizing your request)

“Please note: Due to data security requirements, this process may take 3 business days from the date we receive the required documentation. Thus, we urge you to send these required documents as soon as possible.” Include the following information on the email cover sheet: I am trying to run a business and don't have time for all this bull to get my 430.81 back. I feel they are a very unprofessional and unfriendly company to deal with. I have had Quickbooks since 2006 and was going to continue using them but will look for another software after the way I have been treated. I have an escalation number of ** that they gave me which does no good. I would recommend others if you have a choice. Choose a different company than Quickbooks!!

Original review: March 19, 2018

Intuit flagged transactions we processed through the Quickbooks invoicing system as 'potential fraud' (fairly standard industry practice. But I responded with my correspondence to back up the transactions immediately. Although Intuit said funds should be released in 48 hours, I am nearly a month later, still waiting for the 22K they are holding. I have called multiple times, currently on a 45-minute wait time to reach someone. They have received my paperwork, and have not sent any additional correspondence, despite holding my $22,000 dollars. Crooked processing companies everywhere.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Our Quickbooks for Mac file became corrupted at some point during the past year. We then had to PAY for support, to fix their software issues. We found out only by trying to convert the file to accountant's copy (once ALL the books were done for the year and thousands of hours completed to do that). We called Quickbooks tech support, only to have to speak to multiple (non-American based) tech support "experts", HOURS of time on the phone ONLY TO LEARN that our file was essentially "critically corrupted" and unrepairable. Quickbooks software DID NOTHING to notify us of these corruptions that were apparently happening all along. I asked WHY didn't Quickbooks software NOTIFY us of these corruptions WHEN THEY STARTED?

Instead, we kept TRUSTING OUR TIME AND EFFORTS AND DATE to Quickbooks when all along there was problems that could have been addressed when they came up. They told me it was MY FAULT that we didn't "VERIFY DATA DAILY" for the past year. They refused to give us their employee ID number so we could hold them accountable for the interaction and verify that this was indeed the case. They even sent us a "FIXED" file that had over 6k in discrepancies in the file that they NEVER EVEN DISCLOSED THESE, saying it's "fixed" when clearly it was NOT. Needless to say, we will be moving away from Intuit and Quickbooks AFTER we spend probably WEEKS to go back through all the data to get it to our accountant. BEWARE OF QUICKBOOKS.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Tried to get clarity on a monthly fee which turned out to be a merchant account fee which I was not aware had been turned on. Apparently while you can activate online you have to call cancel. Tried calling several times but eventually took 40 minutes to get someone. They refused to give anything more than a 2 month refund even though they could see it was not being used, and then switched off the wrong account (which in a way was good as I did not know I had a second). The customer service analyst (Alyssa) and her supervisor (Katie) both maintained that position and the supervisor said she and her manager could be fired if they went outside policy and gave more than 2 months credit. This took over 2 hours on the phone to get to this point as every time they needed to do anything they would put me on hold for 10 minutes at a time.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Their customer service is comparable with the former Time Warner Cable. It takes 30-45 minutes to speak to anyone, then you are transferred to one of their depts, and at the end most likely your problem will still not be solved. VERY frustrating, I don't know how they get away with it.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I took advantage of a promotion and bought 500 wallet check envelopes before I was out of them. It took me a year to start using them. The glue was bad. No stick at all. When I called, they said that I was past the replacement warranty and would not send me ones with glue. So now I have to scotch tape 500 checks. Granted, I should have tested the glue immediately, but even so, the glue should not be useless in a year. I say it's a bad product so beware of Intuit glue and be sure think twice about buying through their discount promotions.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Will never buy any product from this company again!!! It sounds like a bad joke if it were not true: Bought Quickbooks in OfficeMax and tried to download it when I got home (No disk required, software is downloadable). The download process went well up to the point where it asks for the License numbers. When I started keying the numbers in, the installation program exited without warning. After several attempts with the same result, I called Intuit for help. I was told that in order for them to help me install the program, I had to buy some kind of a service package!!! Incredible, after paying hundreds of dollars, they expected me to pay in order to get the program to work. Bye Bye Intuit, I make sure we never cross paths again.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Our co. left ADP and started processing our own payroll thru QB's online this year. This has been a total nightmare! They used to have a Chatbox but took that off early Jan. because SO many people had problems with payroll taxes. So you're forced to sit on hold on average 20 - 30 mins. And the absolute worst part of it is you get a "programmer" who doesn't have a clue about accounting or payroll taxes! And this is an accounting program!!! She didn't even know what EFTPS was and still had the nerve to continually argue her point... her point being she could not help fix the problem.

Mind you, the last time this happened they logged into my account and fixed it right in front of me. This is absolutely the WORST experiences I've ever had with QB's. Sad to say I've worked with the desktop version for several years with no problems... unfortunately when I took this job in January, they had already fallen for "how great it is"... only to find out very quickly. It's TERRIBLE! Now I sit with an issue that has to be resolved by the end of the Qtr and IRS said to call Intuit. Lol. Good luck with that. I'll try again sometime when I have patience and an hour to kill... and hopefully get someone with accounting knowledge.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I have been using Quicken for over a decade and have always been happy with the application. I was forced to upgrade to 2018 from 2015 and the performance went straight down the tubes. Entering transactions takes forever. It literally locks up the entire machine to where I lose my cursor and everything. I am a software developer and systems support myself and have tried everything I can think of. I have worked with customer service twice and they keep telling me to do the same things over and over again. I have the exact same problem on both my Lenovo laptop and my custom built desktop. I have spent HOURS working with this. DO NOT BUY! Looking for the best alternative to switch to.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

QuickBooks support is horrible. I needed help aligning my checks to print correctly and the support person refused to help me unless he logged into my computer. He wouldn't even speak to me without doing so. I have confidential information on my computer and didn't want anyone logging on. He wouldn't even offer to point me in the right direction on how to fix it. QuickBooks doesn't care about their customers.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Save yourself the time and trouble, manually file your taxes with a real accountant. I was SO excited for the streamlining of the QBO (Quickbooks online) for my 2017. It seemed like smooth sailing until August, when a bug in their system stopped my bank accounts from syncing. The last 5 months I have had the most aggravating, time sucking, inept tech support experiences I have ever dealt with, and my issue was still not resolved and in fact made worse by one of the reps. I have wasted WAY more time dealing with these frustrating and unproductive tech support than I would have if I just filed manually (which I have to do now anyway). 7 different inept tech support experiences later, I have canceled my account and demanded a full refund.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

QuickBooks Issue (February 7, 2018). Once again, I am having an issue with the annual fee for QuickBooks Online (QBO), that just keeps going up and up. I have been a QBO user since I started my business 10 years ago. Since that time, I have also added 3 more companies that I have done the books for. In the past year, one of those companies has decided to go to the competition due to the exorbitant price increases by QBO.

To my current problem... In just the past 4 years my QBO annual fee has gone up 69%, that's right, you heard me. Last year I pushed back on the increase and they gave me some sort of baloney about not being able to realize a discount until 3 years has passed since your last discount. Isn't that a nice strategy/policy?!

Since I was on the phone for way more than an hour (this was in January, 2017), they said they couldn't reduce my rate but they could extend my subscription for 3 extra months (15 months in all instead of 12). While that wasn't the solution I was looking for, at least it was something...and it is not easy to get ANYTHING from Intuit/QBO.

Fast forward to now. So, this year, it went up an additional 26% on my primary account that renewed near the end of January. AND the 3 months of extended service/subscription promise somehow disappeared as well. Really? This is totally unacceptable. So, I have had it on my "to do" list to call regarding this. Not surprisingly I had put off calling because it is like going to get a root canal. I called and I just hung up. 2 hours 28 minutes and 9 seconds on the phone, most of that time on hold...later...yes you heard me right...nearly 2.5 hours!

AND? Nothing resolved... They promised to call me back tomorrow. I got all the info I could out of the agent, including her name and ID number but who knows if that is any good. Before promising to call me back the only thing they could tell me was that one of my 3 accounts would have to be cancelled, reopened at a monthly rate (of $25/month) for 6 months and then back to the regular ($45/mo) price and that was it. They had paid me lip service about being a loyal 10-year customer and then that was their offer. Nothing for the other 2 accounts...nothing in writing...total BS.

I will say that there are now plenty of other options out there that can replace QBO. While the transfer/conversion to a new product might be a monumental headache, it will be well worth the pain and dollars of working with Intuit/QBO. I urge all disgruntled consumer of this product to hit social media with @QuickBooks #FedUp #EnoughIsEnough #HatesCustomers.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

ProAdvisors pricing is higher than the promotional rate offered. The wholesale billing price is supposed to be a benefit to clients offered by ProAdvisors. Intuit however is undermining ProAdvisors' businesses by charging a less expensive price on their website. All ProAdvisors should get together and create a class action suit.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

Where to even begin... I've been a QB Desktop user for 15 plus years. About a year ago I decided to switch over to QB Online in order to be able to access my company file remotely. WHAT A MISTAKE! Once the conversion was done it didn't take long to realize what a miserable POS this program is. After sitting on hold for a ridiculously long time to get help converting the online company file back to the desktop file, I was told that they CANNOT CONVERT the file BACK TO the DESKTOP version. Since I already had a couple months worth of data already entered into the online version, I had a choice to make. I could manually re-create the info in desktop from when I converted to online, or I could suffer through using QB online. My mistake was thinking that I could "live with" QBO. My advice - DON'T DO IT! You will kick yourself every time you have use it. Either way, it's a painful, miserable experience for which I don't have the time.

Here are SOME of my issues with QBO: Customer Service - it should be called Customer Dis-service. Good luck getting any real help, much less understanding what the person on the other end is telling you. While they may speak English, the heavy accent makes it difficult at best to figure out what they are even saying. Program Glitches - I really hate how the program takes multiple keystrokes to access something that used to take one or two. If you are used to the desktop version, you will really wonder what in the world the developers were thinking when they created the online version. It takes up so much more of your time to do anything in QBO.

Printing Checks - you need to print a check? If you're not paying super close attention, you will find that the check you clicked on to print isn't the one that pulls up. I've mis-printed checks numerous times because the program doesn't necessarily access the information you think you are accessing. Reports - if you need to see the detail behind any information presented on the report, be prepared to spend an exasperating amount of time generating additional reports in order to find the detail behind the data presented in the original report. I could go on and on. Again, if you are looking to migrate to an online accounting package, DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF USING QUICKBOOKS ONLINE. You're Welcome.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Your slogan "simplify the business of life" is not true. Intuit has managed to complicate it unnecessarily. First off, customer support is the worst of any large company, and that includes the notorious phone and cable companies that I have ever experienced. I am a small business Enterprise customer and yet no direct lines to its people. Intuit outsources its customer support to call centers (mostly the Philippines) and while they may be able to speak English, they do not completely understand. I had to repeat my requests and questions several times before I got any semblance of an answer.

No 2. Intuit, by default, puts you on an annual payroll auto-renewal-great for the companies, bad for customers. You cannot change this through Enterprise desktop app nor on-line. Therein lies the problem. It takes multiple calls, transfers, and hours waiting (not an exaggeration) to get to the right department. This is a total waste of time and hugely frustrating. No 3. Quickbooks keeps increasing the amount charged every year for payroll (I have the desktop enhanced payroll version). Why? Nothing new has been added. I have left three messages to a small business Enterprise representative I worked with last year (yes managed to get a number miraculously).

No 4. Just got off a call and was on the line for 1 hour (and another transfer) and still no resolution to my annual payroll questions, or trying to find out more about Enterprise 18 (which we have been considering upgrading from Enterprise 15). By the way, the website for Quickbooks Enterprise is experiencing problems so can't get info there. This has tested the patience of the most rational reasonable person. We may be going a different direction next year because of such poor communication, contact methods, and customer service.

Intuit - Quickbooks Company Information