Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.14/5

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: July 10, 2020

I have had three incidents with TurboTax card. They took forever to get my deposit back on my card. Up to date I used a deposit and it was released back on my card and they pretend they have no clue where it went. I was given today's date (July 10th) that it would be back on my card and I have nothing on it. I had to call 4 times just to get a case number which I will be called within 48 hours. They give you a date that is so not accurate. I also have a pending transaction from which I will run into the same problem. I will no longer use TurboTax again for anything!

Original review: June 28, 2020

So disappointed this year as some issues and remaining manual work is necessary in some areas (example being 2 home offices during the year due to a move - seems simple to fix and such a frequent case), price went significantly up due to the $50 mandatory extra charge for the State tax production (used to be free, only eFiling was charged for), and on top of this I was not able to eFile anything because of a QBI form apparently. It was the last year I buy TurboTax.

Original review: June 28, 2020

I did my taxes this year using Turbo Tax Intuit. I chatted with a representative online who helped me do my taxes. Mind you which was supposed to be free. Upon completion of filing I was to receive a refund from the state and federal government. Turbo charged $300 for federal and $50 dollars for state and additional fees for some other BS and recently an additional $230 was drafted from my banking account with no warning which caused an overdraft in my account. This company is fraud. I wouldn’t suggest anyone use it. Rip off period.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Please, please, please, do yourself a favor and DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT. I have been trying to simply change my address with them for MONTHS. After more than a dozen calls and emails, they simply refuse to change my address. When I call to check if they have received the evidence they require of my address having changed, the representatives accuse me of lying about having sent it in. Avoid Intuit and Green Dot at all costs.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I've been a Turbo Tax user ever since they took over the original Tax Advantage publisher in the mid/ late 90's. Having been self employed for 47+ years, I had more complicated returns than most. I've watched the once good product evolve as well. Having retired over 3 years ago, my returns are far less complex. I no longer need all of the bells and whistles as before. I still have investments, so the "free" version, was not going to cut it. I opted for the "plus" version, thinking that would suffice, as I only had a single 1099 form from one brokerage. Immediately after downloading the form, I was told I MUST upgrade to "Deluxe", with two other additions to Deluxe, which were optional, and not needed. I found that in doing the remainder of the return, which was deductions, they were continuing to try to sell me more.

Finally came to the point of checking the returns, and the upgrade options still coming on strong. $60.00 for the one upgrade, and $50.00 for the state return, for a fairly simple retiree return. Not next year!!! The actual e file window was then shifted to a lineup of credit cards and loan sources as "looking out for my financial future". I found that cheesy and insulting! 47+ years of success, an outstanding credit rating, and they want to dump this in my face before confirming that my e file was completed.

I've been around the block numerous times. If I want another credit card or God forbid, a loan, I sure as hell know where to go. They have lost a 20+ year customer. HR Block's software would suffice, or even drop my stuff in a local accountant's hands would be cheaper based on what was needed. There are other options out there Intuit, and I will use one next year!

Original review: June 13, 2020

HUGE RIPOFF BAIT AND SWITCH! They encourage you to pay by credit card without telling you about the 3% VPN service fee. Ended up costing me a ton of money and you won’t know about it until it’s too late.

Original review: June 1, 2020

Specialist is hardly a term one can coin their people on the phone. First person is clueless, second person can't communicate and denies me of my 1st amendment, and then hangs up on me. You wait on hold for up to a half hour to speak someone live. This will be the last time I'll ever use their service. Trust the reviews on consumer report of a 2.3 rating. Because it comes real people.

Original review: May 29, 2020

I have used Turbo Tax successfully for 10 years on Mac's, either CD or download versions. This year I downloaded the 2019 version. I was able to do my federal, state and local taxes without problems. When it came time to file there was difficulty filing the federal. I was eventually able to do this. When I tried to file the state the program would crash. I now have completed taxes but cannot access them. When I try to open Turbo Tax it loads, the menu comes up briefly then the program tries to connect to the server to download the latest updates. The program does not seem to connect. It then shuts down completely. Support consists of a referral to a discussion community. I will have to redo my taxes but will use a different company.

Original review: May 28, 2020

I have used TurboTax for MANY years. I love the program, support is awesome...BUT, this year turbotax initiated the use of a license code. And here is the problem that follows: after using the 5 free e-files, you CANNOT purchase the same edition of turbotax with the intent of entering a new license code to be able to e-file five more on the same computer. THEY HAVE ASSOCIATED THE LICENSE CODE WITH YOUR COMPUTER IP ADDRESS!!

My sister-in-law does not have a desktop/laptop/tablet so I allowed her to use my desktop with HER Deluxe edition software/license code. She did her family taxes. When it was my turn to do taxes for my kids and myself, it would not allow me to input MY license code. We tried everything short of altering the registry. They even re-issued a couple different license codes (for my already valid one). I remove ALL traces of the current year .txf files and pdf's. Nothing worked.

After 4.5 hours on the phone troubleshooting, my choices were to find another computer to use, or upgrade to premier so that turbo tax wouldn't block me again. I have no use for the higher level edition (at a higher price tag), so neither option is fair to the consumer!!! And since I opened my software, I can not return to do the upgrade even if I wanted to.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I filed my taxes with TurboTax. The whole process went relatively well. $90 Fee for federal return. OK. $50 fee for state return. OK. My taxes were more complicated than usual, so I expected to pay more. However, they mention that they can deduct the cost of the TurboTax from your return. However, in very small print, they it will cost an additional $40 just for a bank transfer, on top of what they are already charging for their services. Customer Support was no help. I wrote an email to the CEO and will adjust my review if I get any response.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information