Intuit - Quickbooks

Intuit - Quickbooks Reviews

Find a Best Business Services partner
1.1(1,209)

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About Intuit - Quickbooks

Intuit Quickbooks is accounting software for small and medium-sized businesses and people who are self-employed. Quickbooks lets you connect your bank account to easily categorize transactions and sync with popular apps. The company’s financial tools also assist with invoicing, payment reminders and direct deposit.

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

• 0%
  • 1%
  • 98%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Quickbooks?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Quickbooks?

Reviewed April 26, 2024

They have held and still holding over $13,000.00 of my funds for over 3 months and won’t deposit it and won't give a reason.. They messed up my payroll and business insurance and bank account and damn some of my relationships with my clients. I would never recommend them to anyone. They give you the runaround and they can never give you an answer a straight answer. And as of now they still have my money and can’t tell me when they’re gonna give it to me…

Reviewed April 24, 2024

Updated on 05/14/2024: After trying to get help with an issue I had with Quickbooks and getting nowhere I canceled my subscription. A month later they sent an email saying they were taking money out of my account for taxes that I already told them I had another company taking care on the phone for an hour already and still not resolved. WORST COMPANY EVER!!! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE.

Original Review: Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever dealt with in my 47 years of life. Their employees are trained not to listen to the customer only to tell them their policies over and over and over and over again. My payroll was put on hold due to their mistake. They withdrew the money to pay my people and are refusing to deposit the money for another 5 days into the employee's account so I can't even withdraw cash to pay my people so that they can pay their bills.

Reviewed April 17, 2024

Steer clear!!! Do not use QuickBooks unless you do not want to receive your payments from your customers. They have horrible customer service. The reps lie and lead you in circles. Everyone of them telling you something different and in 48-72hrs you will get an email when you will receive your payment never receive the email, call back and new rep says they should not have told me that because they have no idea when I will receive my money. They have had my money 2 months currently and still nothing yet. Crooks. I don't understand how they can hold people's money this long or how they can at all. Now I am contacting authorities.

Reviewed April 17, 2024

I cannot describe the amount of frustration I presently feel. For months the issues have been playing out. The first was a credit card payment returned. They claimed the account was not set accurately. After a lot of back-and-forth, I had to call my client. Finally, after 8 weeks, the payment was deposited into my account. They approved the account, so I'm a little skeptical. Then, in February of this year, I was billed twice the amount; again, they claimed it was for a multi-user account. Of the three accounts, this one was set up for multi-users, which was the excuse I was given. Although A manager was and had apparently corrected that issue.

As of that date, until Mach 28th, I could not sign into the account. A manager fixed the sign-in issue, and I thought all was well. Not so. I went to use Quickbooks, and, omg, the account had disappeared entirely. I can see two of my accounts, but it's gone. I've been on the phone all morning trying to resolve the issue. My accountant can see the profile, but I can't. So for close to two months, I have paid for a service that I have been unable to access or use. All documented and sent to their technical department. That is why I have given two stars

Reviewed April 15, 2024

Have used QB for over 20 years. Now they have forced me into an online subscription for 700 a year plus 950 for payroll. My accountant said from now on he will not be using QB anymore. So all his customers will have to submit paper reports to him. This will increase his fee for time involved. That's jus the tip of the iceberg on how much Intuit sucks. Will be researching other software for next year. Thanks QB for screwing your loyal customers.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 12, 2024

It was the worst experience of my life. No exaggeration. I had Quickbooks online and Quickbooks bookkeeping live assisted. I don't really write reviews, but this time, I have to. I was so upset that I cried countless days over this because I was talking to them for hours a day for a month and a half and nothing was getting done. It took up so much of my time and mental energy.

Wow. Especially the live assisted bookkeeping. I have legit spoken with 20+ people on bookkeeping: No one knows anything. Everyone says I don't know.... Or they tell you wrong things. If you know they are wrong, you are in luck. They say all sorts of different things (they don't know) and you can't tell what's true or untrue. For example, someone had me make a bunch of categories, and then the next person was like no get rid of them, the next next person would be like let's create something else somewhere else.. Ah I don't know...

This is what they do when they can't answer the most basic questions: "This is not a bookkeeping question, talk to an accountant." The question was literally, "Hi, how can I categorize this? Hi, how do I record inventory cost into quickbooks? Hi, how do I literally reclassify this tech wise?... How do I use this feature, or that feature?" Okay then I also stupidly signed up for Intuit Turbotax Live assisted bookkeeping at the same time. I spoke with another 20+ and they didn't know either!! They are like these are bookkeeping questions talk to bookkeepers. Literally one woman accountant there said, "I can't do bookkeeping questions because I'll lose my job!" OK. She couldn't answer any of the accounting jobs either. Wow, I don't want to wish ill on anyone but I almost said out loud to her, you should lose your job because you don't know a thing!

What a show. Between the countless people I talked to on TurboTax and Quickbooks Online Support and Quickbooks Bookkeeping, I didn't get any questions answered and wasted a bunch of my time. Like I said, this took up a majority of a month and a half until I gave up. I beat my head on the wall too many times. I just lost the money there and had to get out.

So don't do Turbotax Live Assisted Plan either. You will regret it!!! They will make your brain+mind spin in a thick mud of not being able to get the most basic questions answered. We are an extremely small business. If they are like this with us, no one is going to benefit from this. No one knew. Which meant I spent all of March and days in April so far to talk to so many of them and no answers to any of my questions. I am hiring a legit bookkeeper. I wasted money on this stupid live assisted thing and now I'm paying more.

Oh, quickbooks online - there are things that should definitely work but don't. Like, say I misclassify 50 transactions (which can happen), now there is no way to reclassify 50 transactions at once. You literally have to click each transaction one by one to move it. It takes a very very long time. Say by mistake you misclassified 500 because you were confused about a category. Good luck!!

It's just crazy. Oh, and I had to redo the whole categorization again 4 times. That is redo the whole thing 4 times from scratch. At they end they were like, we don't know what's wrong, your bank accounts can't be connected without duplicates blah blah might be a tech thing and had me make an entirely new account and I had to do the bookkeeping all over because data couldn't be transferred. I'm like What the...

Intuit does a ton of marketing and you think they might be the best, but they are not only not the best, but the worst!! Just writing this makes my blood boil. Do yourself a big favor, and avoid Quickbooks Live Assisted (or I'm sure full service won't be different) Bookkeeping or Turbotax. I wish either Quickbooks Bookkeeping go out of business OR they repent and train their so called bookkeepers and accountants properly. Please train or hire competent people.

I am just so upset, so angry about this whole thing. My brain is fried because I had to self study on YouTube and on the internet and learn everything myself because they didn't know bookkeeping or accounting 101. I thought, if I keep going with this service I will not get it done ever, I already wasted so much time, need to get out to keep myself sane. I hope everyone reads this because I'm writing this from the bottom of my heart. Just don't go there. Don't do it. This is the longest review I've written in my life, but I really want to tell consumers that this made me throw up (I literally did, no lying), so avoid.

Teddi

I can relate. Desktop was great. I still have problems caused during migration. I was depressed and cried for the first few months. I also realized that no one knew what they were talking about.

Reviewed April 9, 2024

The worst company I have dealt with so far. I purchased an online product only to receive a message 3 months later that documents weren’t submitted. When I called in they said since the product has a 60 days guarantee they cannot refund or put back credit. So I am supposed to purchase another online product to miss another deadline with the IRS? A complete fraud.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed April 9, 2024

I HAVE BEEN A QuickBooks desktop user for 30 years. I was faced with the decision to move to the online version because they had discontinued the POS software, and we were highly encouraged by the online version of this product. This was a big mistake. The online version is like QB 25 years ago. It is very antiquated and very difficult to navigate; the option for reports and the ease of performing tasks as simple as a printing check is made difficult. The online help is unhelpful. I spoke with a rep about my bar scanner and if I would be able to continue using this with my product sales; of course, the sales rep said yes, and now they wanted me to add on an App for another 160 per month. I have been on the helpline and called 6 times regarding this matter, and no one seems to really know the product very well. It is a scam. DON'T DO IT.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 9, 2024

QuickBooks sucks. I have had desktop since 1997. They made me switch to online as they will not support desktop anymore. Told me ALL MY INFO WOULD BE TRANSFERRED OVER FROM DESKTOP TO ONLINE. NOT TRUE!!!! Non of your payroll/profit and loss, etc will be transferred. Even if you save desktop on a flash drive, I was told the only way to retrieve the info is through QuickBooks. So hence telling me that to keep desktop info I MUST keep paying for desktop services!!!! How crazy is that! As well as paying for online. They are not honest when selling you their product!!!!

Reviewed April 3, 2024

All your customers who switched to online are paid respondents! Your information is fraud! NO one likes your stupid Desktop Online version! Fix this stupid online version to our regular desktop or I'm learning and switching to a different software!

Reviewed April 3, 2024

It is a bummer that I have to leave one star. If you ever have to contact customer support, prepare to be very disappointed. You will not have your question answered after being on the phone for an hour, will have to submit a case, and won't hear from them for 2 and a half months, and will get an email that isn't really fixing anything, that gives you 24 hours to respond, and that says "In an effort to provide timely resolution, the case will be closed if the information has not been provided after the given time/period and taxes will be recorded manually."

I think that 10-15 years ago, QB was ahead of its time and was working to help small business owners. Now, it is a giant corporate conglomerate that is in the 'milking phase'. They have great people hired in the US for their sales department, but their customer support is elsewhere and plagued with bureaucracy, so that they can't really help you. Because they want to make more money, they are moving away from their desktop platform, so everything is on the cloud and so they can charge you each month.

However, this is not the time tested software that they were giving out 10 years ago on the desktop version. This is a new software that is buggy, and will be for a long time as long as they choose cheap workers over quality workers. It might work for the basics, but if you ever anticipate not understanding it or entering something wrong and wanting help, look elsewhere, and the chances of you finding something better are quite high.

Reviewed April 2, 2024

I own a small retail store. I wanted QuickBooks online to help make tax time easier. When I ran the reports, half of the expenses were just missing. I could find them if I looked for them, but I couldn't seem to get them included in any reports. Slso, the income was way too high. I was having a terrible time figuring out the problem. I called customer service to get help. They had me "uncheck" a bunch of boxes with no explanation why. When the report numbers looked more realistic he asked if he could help with anything else. Gee, I don't know...Help me with the over $7,000.00 in uncategorized expenses I now have? How did unchecking boxes fix the problem in any way? My husband made me a spreadsheet and I had to start the entire year over from scratch. I would give them 1/2 of a star if possible.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 2, 2024

I enrolled in the Quickbooks accounting services to provide extra help with my business. Every time I called, I had a different person who gave me a different answer. I needed help transferring my QB Desktop to online. The payroll part of it doesn't come through automatically. So I had to hand enter everything from Jan through Sept. It took hours! Every time I called to get help, they said I needed to call the payroll side. When I called the payroll side, they said I needed to call the general help side. I finally gave up and cancelled the accounting end of it, but still kept the bookkeeping side that I managed. Then out of the blue, I get a letter from IRS stating that I owe 11,000. When I called, they said Nicole from QB sent that info in. So I tried to call "Nicole" but conveniently she was not available. I spoke with Icee and she stated that I hadn't paid taxes from 3 certain months.

I told her those were all in desktop, they should have come through but she said they didn't. I dug through all my records and was able to find proof that everything was paid. I just now called back to see if they would reverse what they had sent in. After going rounds with AU, I asked REPEATEDLY to speak with a manager. They ALL happened to be in a meeting. They will not let you speak with anyone other than themselves. She then told me that I DIDN'T owe 11,000, even though they told the IRS I did. Please for the love of God, do not frustrate yourself with this company. They have cost me so much money and time trying to get things straightened out.

They were also late on a payment which cost me 118.00 in late fees, but would not take responsibility for. I started with them in Sept. 15th, the payment was due Sept 30th and they basically said too bad. It's so sad that the customer service is so horrendous. I do love the convenience of it, but absolutely not worth it with all the incompetent people that I have gotten to speak with.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed March 29, 2024

Recent upgrade has taken away my ability to send invoices through the app. Used Intuit since 2018, no real issues until the "upgrade". Customer service (which are very difficult to understand), after 45 minutes of more waisted time trying says, "The "engineers" are working to correct that, sorry, have a nice day." I'd put no stars but that's not an option either!

Reviewed March 28, 2024

I've been using QuickBooks and Intuit payroll since 2007. It started out at $100 for three years desktop plus about 150/ yr payroll. About 5 years ago it was $350 for 3 years of desktop plus about $250 for payroll. Then pricing blew up. Now it's $650 for one year of QuickBooks plus $555 for payroll (one employee). I have 4 employees so that adds about$175 per year. So $1500 a year for a software I hardly use. I'm stuck because it is what my accountant uses. I only need it for payroll and as a digital check register. Customer service is outsourced and hard to understand. If you can get a human. Typical big company thinking that customer service can be a machine... Used to be a decent price and great software and great customer service. Now only one of the three is good. Price is ridiculous. Customer service is poor.... Typical greedy big corporation. Stay away if possible.

Reviewed March 28, 2024

I recently decided to try Quickbooks for business banking for my start-up and account was approved. Once I added funds to account, they closed the account because I was using a business phone where voice greeting was not yet setup. They have not released my funds, customer service is hopeless and legal department ignores my communication. It is my money, not theirs and based on other reviews this appears to be a common practice so they can afford to meet payroll. I still have my login info if anyone wants to verify this claim is legitimate.

Reviewed March 18, 2024

We started using QuickBooks a month or so ago strictly for their invoicing. Their fees were cheaper than Stripe and they offered reminders for past due invoices which I liked. I had sent out our first invoice on March 1st for $3932.02. Our customer paid the invoice through the QuickBooks invoice and the money was deposited into our bank account. The next day I get an email stating that the customer's bank account cancelled the transaction and that they would be taking the money back out of our bank account. (This is normal, and I understand this.) Our customer contacted me apologizing and explained that their bank account has a debit block that she did not catch. I sent her another invoice through QuickBooks for the $3932.02 and she contacted her bank approved the debit block and allowed the payment to go through. (She even paid the extra $10 for the return check fee).

This went through on March 6th and was in a 3-5 business day hold. Then on March 8th I received an email from QuickBooks stating my QuickBooks Payments account has been closed and if I did not do this to call them. When I called them, the support member told me that QuickBooks no longer wants us as a customer and they chose to close our account. That is fine, but they are holding the $3932.02 and will not return it to our customer or deposit it in our account.

We were told today they can hold it up to a year!!! They said we need to contact our customer and have them dispute the payment to get the money back. The problem is, since she had approved the debit block and allowed the payment to go through, they won’t return it. Now as a small business owner who switched to QuickBooks to save a few dollars, QuickBooks is keeping what is 2 months mortgage worth of our money for what they say could be up to a year. This has to be illegal. Oh and they will not send an email stating any of this. They said it is against their policy. So for all our customer knows, we took their money and want them to pay again.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed March 12, 2024

I own a QB Desktop 2021 license, but QB is going to "subscription" business model. I was advised to "upgrade" to QB Online which was a DISASTER. None of my payroll taxes transferred properly, customers and projects were all messed up. On the same day I decided to go with Enterprise even though it is more expensive. QB forced me to call three different departments to try to get a refund for online even though I never used it. I never did get a refund. I had to go in myself and invalidate my subscription and they refunded all but one month, even though I fully paid for Enterprise a year in advance. Support doesn't know anything but reinstalling everything over and over again to fix issues. What a WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

Reviewed March 8, 2024

I had merchant service and business checking. After a few months they closed both account. They are not releasing my money and do not care about customers. Worst company to deal with. NEVER do business with these...

Staff

Reviewed March 7, 2024

Horrible service, most important part for them is make money for QB, they do not care about clients and how can resolve their problems. I have to talked at least with six people and finally nobody fix my problem.

Reviewed March 6, 2024

I'm accountant, and use QB desktop (very good product) but I have some customers that use QB Online, and every time that I have to work with QB Online, is big nightmare for me. Is a trap, once you get in, never can go out, and all your work will be 10 time more difficult.

Customer ServiceCoverageSales & MarketingPricePunctuality & SpeedEase of Use

Reviewed March 3, 2024

Quickbooks cares more about making money for its business than helping me make money for mine.

1. Quickbooks technical support has been horrible since the first time I needed it. I have NEVER had a good experience with it and often my experiences have been very poor. For example, on December 1, 2021, I was on the phone (in 2 separate calls) with technical support for 3 hours & 54 minutes just to figure out how to add a logo and project / job name to invoices. Even the cancellation phone call I had with technical support (on 12/27/2023) was bad. I had tried to figure out how to cancel my subscription online but ran into problems. All I wanted from technical support was to have them walk me through how to cancel the subscription but the representative was more interested in trying to sell me more services. The contentious call took 25 minutes and should have taken 10.

2. Intuit is more interested in its business than mine. Every pop-up or email I've received from Intuit has been geared toward getting me to move to Quickbooks online - which would cost me more money (I used Desktop Premier). Only during the cancellation phone call did I find out there is a version of QB that may have been better suited to my small business.

3. QB is not intuitive and there are too many ways to input the same information. This leads to a greater possibility of making mistakes. Doing simple tasks is cumbersome.

4. The online information about how to use QB is difficult to find for the version of QB I used, and often poorly described once found. Most online articles (authored by Intuit) are geared toward QB Online because that’s the one size Intuit thinks should fit all. Once again, Intuit cares more about making its business profitable than helping my business become more profitable.

5. Finally, QB just announced that it is increasing my subscription to $950 which is a massive increase in one year of about 10%. In theory this is to cover costs of "improvements" - which are not really improvements, just changes - and to cover the costs of technical support which is ridiculously horrible (see item #1 above). I started out using a desktop version which was loaded onto my PC and static. This worked well for my small business but I was forced to endure a subscription with an annual fee. I did NOT receive better service from Intuit or a better version of Quickbooks - just a costlier one. Once again, QB cares more about making its own money than helping me make mine. The cost increase at the end of 2023 was the straw that broke this camel's back. Why pay a lot of money for a bloated application with terrible technical support? Good riddance Quickbooks!

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed March 1, 2024

Again, another company that is too large to care. Be prepared to deal with glitches, duplicate posted bank transactions, app features that do not work, and generally just constantly fixing accounting issues caused by the software. You will do this on your own as their customer service sucks..

Profile pic of the author.
    J increased rating by 4 stars.
    Customer ServiceStaff
    After a positive interaction with Intuit - Quickbooks, J increased their star rating on March 1, 2024.

Updated review: March 1, 2024

Quickbooks stepped up and fixed my issue. Everyone should be like the guy who helped me.

Original Review: Feb. 26, 2024

Everything is hit or miss with them. Tell them your problem. After 3 long, arduous hours with this bottom level agent, he said he fixed it. After the next payroll, he apparently didn't. Call back and ask for an agent that is higher credentialed. They put you on hold and don't come back. 35 minutes go by and I call back. I tell the agent my experience and we get disconnected and he doesn't call back. I call a third time, I am in the wrong department so now I am on hold for 11 minutes waiting to get to the right department. This is the worst customer support on the planet.

Punctuality & SpeedProcess

Reviewed Feb. 21, 2024

I run a small specialty business and know nothing about bookkeeping. I thought that hiring QB Live Bookkeeping would make my books better since I didn't really know how to categorize expenses correctly. Wow! I had to do all of the work. All they did was produce Balance Sheets and P&L reports, which are so easy to produce, and ask me if they were correct. Essentially, I had to go through line by line and check that every thing was categorized correctly. If I knew how to do that, I wouldn't have needed them!

Also some items needed fixing, and I couldn't figure out how to fix them. QBLB never fixed those items. I had to figure out how to fix them myself. Some I never did figure out. Besides having to do all of the work and figure out where all of the errors were, the interface is so cumbersome, it multiplied the wasted time by a factor of 3 or 4. In over 2 years I never received a correct report on time! This is 100% a process problem. IntuitQB has not figured out an effective process yet.

Reviewed Feb. 14, 2024

My complaint is with customer service. It's outsourced and they are incompetent. I was quoted a wrong price, told the product did things it didn't do and wasted 8 hours migrating from desktop to online based on this misinformation. When I could use it, I requested a refund and sought some kind of reparations for my lost time. They should feel responsible for misleading me into deciding to switch. I get paid by my client to provide Bookkeeping services and they spent $350 on my time spent in vain because of their incompetent representative and they give you nothing for it but more circular talk and wasted time. They could give a discount on the subscription renewal for our desktop that's coming up, but no such common decency. A flat out no. I have the agents email with all the misinformation she quoted me and they recorded my conversation with her but still not taking of responsibility. TERRIBLE!

Reviewed Feb. 8, 2024

Quickbooks closed our business account and checking account without authorization. We had money in Quickbooks Checking account put in the application's "envelopes" feature. This allows one to put away money to an assigned envelope within the checking account for accrued expenses such as taxes or registration fees. We have not been able to access this money since September of 2023 - it is a total of about $8700.00. Quickbooks says it is a "Greendot" issue - the bank associated with Quickbooks checking.

When we contact GreenDot, they say the money has been "permanently blocked" but cannot give us any reason or recourse. We have asked to escalate the issue but they say there is no one else to talk to. We have contacted both Intuit Quickbooks and Greendot over 27 times attempting to get our money from OUR checking account. Customer service is always somewhere overseas and only reads from a script. I am convinced Quickbooks is a complete sham. I am a modest consumer that was trying to operate a business, and now I have no one to contact to remedy this situation. They told us we would have to wait until the money is turned over to state unclaimed funds and then file to get it. It is OUR money from OUR checking account at Quickbooks!!! BUYER BEWARE.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2024

Beware if you are looking at buying a desktop version, I purchased Pro Plus 2022 and tried to install it. I was told my license had been removed and that I needed to purchase it again directly from them, no reason as to why. They said it was just removed. Worst customer service I have ever had, Ranel was the supervisor I spoke to and he was extremely and zero help whatsoever. I suggest never doing business with Intuit!!

Reviewed Dec. 26, 2023

I AM ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS at all the pressure to get me to switch to QBO which is an inferior product and not suitable for all my clients. If I have to migrate from QuickBooks desktop it will be to one of your competitors. And STOP with the awful popups begging me to migrate that force me to say "later" instead of "no". I AM DONE WITH YOUR COMPANY AND I WILL NEVER GIVE YOU ANOTHER ** PENNY.

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2023

Very disappointed in Quickbooks after using them for 25 years. They forced me to the monthly subscription model for one of my companies but now they won't let me reinstall my desktop 2020 Pro (I paid for it and own it but can't put it on a new PC to use for my other smaller companies that don't justify the monthly online subscription fee). Instead, they want me to pay $649/year for Quickbooks 2024. Definitely would not recommend.

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2023

We switched from QB Desktop 2020 to QuickBooks online in April 2023. The Customer Service/Support department is a complete mess. We have had cases open for months on end without resolution. We make frequent calls about the cases, and get no updates. Phone calls or online chats go on for 30 + minutes, and ultimately, again, no resolutions. We are currently shopping a new payroll company because it's just too frustrating to deal with.

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2023

They claim that you can download all your data but you can't. Their crappy receipt capture software takes garbage pictures, can't extract supplier, dates, Tax or Totals to automatically reconcile with your credit card or bank statements. This makes your bookkeepers work a nightmare and very unproductive. Furthermore when you try to export your data you just get limited crappy excel reports with no receipt data. If you are using this you better hope you never get audited as QBO will just make your work gathering information, data and receipts a nightmare. In this electronic era you think this technology company would be better suited. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 8, 2023

We've been using Quickbooks Desktop for many years and have been able to associate invoices and bills with customer jobs without issue. We bought a 2020 Desktop for Mac version about four years ago for ~$200 and used it until the Sonoma OS update rendered it inoperable a month ago. At that time, QB website did not show any desktop version and all communication with support indicated we needed to "upgrade" to online Essentials. While I expected a price increase to do the same things, I was not prepared for the 1,300% increase to $650/yr versus $50/yr. After voicing my displeasure and looking for alternatives, I finally decided that I would just bite the bullet rather than deal with mapping data to a new accounting platform and going through the learning curve.

After some difficulty, Quickbooks eventually migrated our data to an Essentials online account. After working for a few hours updating payments, deposits and credit cards, I discovered that we could no longer create jobs. I spent more hours doing research and communicating with QB migration and tech support only to discover that Essentials is inferior to my 4-year old desktop version and will not manage jobs. Similarly, all the migrated job and billing entries were miscategorized as "sub-customers" and "unbilled customer expenses".

After multiple contacts, QB says that I need to upgrade AGAIN to Plus or Advanced in order to have job cost capabilities (now called projects). Of course that comes with another price increase to $1,080/yr - over 2,100% price increase over my desktop version. The forced/extorted obsolescence, bait-and-switch application tactics and ridiculous price gouging of small businesses (supposedly their target customer group) seem criminal. Everyone, with the exception of one person, has been evasive, dismissive and completely useless in resolving these issues.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2023

Just awful! I am so new to Quickbooks. Landed my second client, and BOOM. My accounts that I have had for over 13 years are frozen. Being new to QB. I had no clue, QB just will put money into your account for an invoice without checking to see if the client has the funds. They fronted a company I just started working for $7,400 on an invoice I sent them. Come to find out it was all a scam and now Quickbooks is trying to come after me for the invoice. This was the first invoice I had sent to someone and had them pay. I get an authorization code from Quickbooks that the invoice was paid. I assume it's paid, right? WRONG, I use the funds to pay the company's bills and now QB is trying to come after me for the money? I never asked you to put funds into my account. The fact they seem very unconcerned about helping me at all if baffling to me.

I filed a police report, provided them a case number, and they just don't care. I was just on the phone with them for an hour with an uninterested person. I actually think QB is working with the scammers. Why would you just front a company you don't know money? And, the bigger questions is, why don't they want to help me? How can they as a platform just allow their customers to be scammed. They should of never put the funds into my account until they captured the funds, right? I cannot believe they have allowed this to happen to me. Being a new company, I would of never used funds that I knew wasn't available. Quickbooks as a company, should take this as a loss.

Process

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2023

Been a bookkeeper for 20 years. My employer wanted to switch to QBO. The integration really messed up our Customer List. The program itself is beyond cumbersome. Too many negative things to list but one big one is every time you go back to a customer or vendor list, it takes too much time for it to reload plus it takes you back to the top of that list. QBO is the worse program I have ever had to work with!!! Don't switch, you'll be sorry.

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2023

For almost three weeks we have been trying to have a payroll correction made to four employees. Each online chat and phone call is over three hours with the same trained monkey response, it has been resolved and you will see it on your next payroll. Alas our employees still remain unpaid from hours earned three weeks ago. The online payroll function will not allow for a negative entry for a correction to be made in house and despite the software saying the correction has to be made with one of their specialists, they have not made the correction either. Our employees still remain unpaid.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaffReliabilityEase of Use

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2023

TLDR: A funny story of how my life got flipped upside down, because QBs Online is the worst company I've had the pleasure of doing business with. This one's a doozy! Started working the on an issue with them at 12:14pm today and finished at 3:58pm only because I lost all hope in humanity, civilization, and life itself. All jokes aside, Quickbooks Online Plus + Payroll is an absolute joke. I have an employee that could not access his Workforce, account, so I resent the link for him to create an account again. Workforce is the partner company that handles their payroll system. The link crashed his Outlook. Thought hey, maybe it's his computer or email, so I tried the link I get every two weeks for my payroll. Crashed my email 3 times.

Decided to contact support via phone call, boy was this a mistake. The first two people told me I needed to contact Workforce directly. The first person gave me a phone number to call. I even read it back to him for confirmation. Awesome. Call the number and it's a scam number demanding my credit card information. Hang up and call QuickBooks back. I explained the previous situation to the gal and she stated that she needed to send me a link for me to chat with a person and the phone number I was given before was not correct and I should call a new number. Again, I read it back to her for confirmation. Call this number and wouldn't you know it, it's another scam number demanding my credit card info. It's just getting good!

Call QuickBooks back again and explain the situation back to her. Including being given two scam phone numbers. Here, we have the only person in this whole story who was helpful and gave me correct information. She also told me that they just had a company announcement stating that Workforce does not have a phone number and they can only be reached by the link to the chat feature. I politely finished expressing my displeasure with the situation, she sent me a link to leave feedback, and I bid her adieu. Great Gal. Should be CEO. Don't worry, stories almost over!

Finally a glimmer of hope as I begin my chat with the gal at workforce. I explain the situation in it's entirety. We go back and forth just to get her the information to find the account. This took 30 minutes and she was not the quickest. No worries, she's likely servicing other customers at the same time. Then for 10 minutes, she kept suggesting I use the link to reset the login info and each time I told her how it crashed his email every time we tried that, no matter how many times I resend him the link. She then suggests that we try to use a different email for the employee. I figure, it's worth a shot.

So I get up from my desk and walk to my employee's office to ask him if he has another email. He's 62 years old and doesn't use an email other than our work one. His wife runs their joined email. We call her to get the information and I return to my desk. The workforce lady closed the chat. Guys, I could have punched a hole through a 20 foot thick concrete wall and steamed 18 bags of frozen broccoli in my ears.

So this concludes, without a doubt in my mind, the most frustrating 3 hours and 44 minutes of my life. I had to give up before I lost any more brain cells. For anyone wondering, I was completely professional and respectful to each person I was working with. Honestly, whether or not you believe that, I don't care. QuickBooks Online is awful, a scam, a waste of time. Not just this situation, but QuickBooks Online is not user friendly, the pop up windows within it are a pain, navigation is the worst, and their employees are uninformed and incompetent. Besides the one gal I worked with, she was great. CEO material. I left that in her feedback too. Lastly, the worst part, should you ever decide to move to a different accounting software, QuickBooks Online does not allow you to export any information. You're locked in for life. Anywho, This concluded today's TED Talk.

Reviewed Oct. 4, 2023

I've been a Desktop customer for 20 years. I tried to switch to Online 4 yrs ago and it did not work on my side. But I made some changes and went back last month. They started a different account number for the new offer. But our info migrated to the old account. All files were mapped to the old account and now their resolution was they could not honor the offer made on the other account because they did not do the migration. So ultimately they charged me for the old account (I am now using) and 50% off new account which never got used. I have lost probably 2 days work and several hours on this issue and now they say no refund and full rate total loss approx. 1500.00 over next year.

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2023

13 days ago I got a payment thru echeck withheld. After calling over 10 times, they always say that it's approved and ready for release but it never is. When ask to talk to manager, they are always busy, and tell me they will call, but never do. The reason to speak to a manager is to try someone with more resources, as the operators normally can help me with their system. $56.169.19, gone with no response from Quickbooks.

Reviewed Sept. 11, 2023

We have been attempting to add a new user for over two weeks now. Typically, the self-service system sends a verification link to the user when setting them up. The user clicks the link and is able to then create a password, etc. Since our first attempt, we've been on several support calls for hours with no resolution. We've had to call in because their help desk gives us this response: "I’m having some technical difficulties right now. But we probably have an article that can help you!"

We've walked through all of the usual basic steps: check our licensing, clearing browser cache & cookies, deleting then re-adding the user, using different browsers (even mobile) - to no avail. The link simply does not work. On the support call today, we were told there will be a resolution on September 22nd. That's four weeks without our user being able to perform their duties.

Reviewed Sept. 6, 2023

A Loyal Customer's Plea: QuickBooks Online's Declining Support and Unannounced Changes. We've been steadfast customers of Intuit QuickBooks Online since 2012, and Advanced-level QBO users since 2016. Over the years, we've witnessed the platform's evolution, and while there have been many positive strides, our recent experiences have left us deeply disappointed.

In July 2023, without any prior notice or explanation, QuickBooks Online disabled the Time and Expense Entry option for new employees/users. This abrupt change not only disrupted our operations but also left us scrambling for answers. Since then, we've reached out to their customer support over seven times, dedicating more than 2 hours on each call, hoping for a resolution. Each interaction has been a repetitive cycle of trying the same workarounds, being reassured with promises of fixes in the "next scheduled update", only to be met with continued inaction.

The most disheartening part is the realization that we've invested tens of hours on support calls, only to be taken through the same ineffective steps, time and time again. It's as if there's a script that's being mindlessly followed, without any genuine intent to address the underlying issue. Paying over $2,600 annually, one would expect a certain level of professionalism and consideration. However, QuickBooks Online's approach of unilaterally removing or disabling crucial functionalities without informing its loyal customers is not just unprofessional but also deeply unethical. It's a stark contrast to the service standards we once admired. We pen this review with a heavy heart, hoping that potential users tread cautiously and that QuickBooks Online re-evaluates its approach to customer service. It's disheartening to see a platform we once championed become a source of endless frustration.

Reviewed Aug. 29, 2023

I have three companies and have been using Quickbooks Desktop for over a decade. Until three weeks ago I was on Desktop Pro 2022 when multi company suddenly stopped working (August 16, 2023). I have been on chat with support over five sessions, each about three hours. Support upgraded me to Desktop Pro 2023. Same issue. They had me send files which they reviewed and found no discrepancies. They ran utilities, turned off my virus protection, et al. QuickBooks Support admitted that multiple customers have been experiencing this. I can access only one account of the three, which means I am locked out of invoicing, billing, and tax reporting, which is costing me thousands. The case has been open for three weeks. Support admits to having no solution yet. QB does not port to other solutions. I am collecting names for a class action lawsuit. QB already admitted the outage is affecting numerous customers.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Aug. 28, 2023

I am so happy to find this website "ConsumerAffairs" because it feels like anything bad about a product is scrubbed from the internet. I am livid about the lack of support or transparency about technical issues with QB Desktop, and so I am overjoyed that I get to express my dissatisfaction with Intuit. I guess if a company chooses to end support for a product, that is their right. But to leave people like me spending endless hours trying fix problems is "heartless". Starting back in September 2022, Intuit and Chase bank had some kind of financial dust up, which ended up with Intuit changing the whole bank feed process. The new way of connecting the Desktop product resulted in me missing multiple transactions on every account (I was not getting transactions downloaded to my accounts). So the #1 reason I use financial software is to manage my bank balances. Isn't this the #1 issue for everyone?

If the bank says I have $40k in an account, but QB says I have $10k, I am in big trouble. This makes QB practically worthless to me. So now I can't rely on the product to accurately tell me my bank balances. Unless you have lots of extra funds in your account to cover for the discrepancies, relying on QB will have you bouncing checks left and right. After so many many phone calls to technical support, I've just come to the conclusion that they don't want to support QB Desktop. But instead of announcing this, their plan is to just let people get fed up that they abandon Desktop. I really loved using QB Desktop. I think most of the support staff is in the dark about this as well. Because I have not been able to find a comparable product, I just gave up and migrated over to Online Essentials (Funny that Online Essentials doesn't see to have a problem with missing transactions from Chase bank!).

So now I have accurate balances with the Online version. But there are so many things the Online version doesn't do! For example, I just spent 4 hours with tech support asking how can I import a list of 45 employees to my check register. Desktop allowed me to create an iif file and import it. The result is I have the date, check number, employee name and net paycheck amount in my register, which then matches up perfectly as a cleared check when I connect to Chase.

After 4 hours with tech support, the tech people finally said, "the online version doesn't do this". This is really really sad for a couple of reasons: 1) tech support wasn't able to tell me this feature wasn't available. It took them 4 hours to figure this out??? and 2) It's not a big technical issue to import a file. QB allows you to import a bank statement, but not other files? QB management just doesn't care! It is so easy to provide this option. Bottom line I have concluded is "they just do not care". Not sure if we can shame them into responding, but management deserves a big fat ZERO rating. They have ruined all the goodwill from me. I hope somebody with an ethical backbone buys the company. But again, I'm somewhat happy to see that I'm not alone in my frustration! Keep posting everyone!!!!

Sales & MarketingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2023

To all small businesses do not hire Quickbooks live Bookkeeping. This is how they operate. They will ask you to pay $200 a month for Bookkeeping. They will delay your books by 2-3 months so you have to pay in advance 3 + months ahead of time. They will not provide you any financials for your books until 1 year later you will have to get a extention to file taxes. So the first month you sign up. They will delay it out 3 months then turn it into 20 months. Of paid $200 a month services. If you stop your subscription they will refuse to provide you any books for 20 months. This is what happens. I signed up in January 2022. I paid $200 every month the bookkeeper is always 3 months behind. So that's an extra $600 I paid. Now today is August 23rd 2023. They are still delaying my 2022 books and still never received my tax package for last year.

I canceled my subscription Aug 2023 because they are not sending me any financials for 2022. And now they are stating since I canceled my subscription they cannot work on my books at all or provide me my LAST YEAR financials. I have videos confirming all bank statements were received by QuickBooks and they still refuse to send me my financials until I resubscribe to the service. Because I already paid for them. They never provided me any financials for 2022 and 8 months in 2023. Meanwhile the bookkeeper is in receipt of all my financials. They refuse to send me my books from 20 months ago. They want me to continue to pay $200 in advance to be 20 months behind.

This is fraudulent. To intentionally delay the books by 20 months to keep collecting $200 for Bookkeeping service. This is a scam. To make small businesses pay $200 in advance $200 x 20= $4,000 I paid and now QuickBooks is saying because I won't continue to pay 20 months in advance they cannot provide any financials because I need to have a active current subscription in order to receive anything. This is a scam. Why would small business pay $4,000 receive no services then get demanded by quickbooks to continue to pay $200 just so they can delay it 3 more months to continue collecting money for services. They tell you it's $200 a month in Bookkeeping but small business beware.

They tell you $200 but they delay your taxes by 1-2 years to keep collecting the $200. And if you cancel after paying in advance for 2 years they will refuse to send you any financials I got scammed. I have paid 20 months of books and quickbooks refuses to send me any documents because I do not have a active subscription. So they want me to pay $500 reactivation fee plus $200 more per month and now we are 2 years behind. Consumer affairs legal needs to be aware of what's happening. Quickbooks is defrauding small business.

Reviewed Aug. 2, 2023

In August 2022 I paid Quickbooks $500.00 to set up my books. Wendy ask for payroll information, I and my assistant worked 3 days to give Wendy all our payroll numbers. I assumed she did her job but on January 2, 2023 I print my employees w2's and they were wrong. Quickbooks wanted me to redo all of the numbers on sheets they sent to me on 24 people and I said no! I already paid for Wendy to do this. I don't have the manpower, the time or the staff to do this. I paid my regular tax person $1500.00 to fix the w2s and I can't tell you how many people I have talked to at QB and get the same reply. "I'm sorry I do apologize but I can't issue a refund as I don't see where the payroll was put in at the beginning." I have asked to talk to someone above the person I am talking to and of course their response is, "I can't give you that information" or "There is no one that will take your call." PLEASE USE PATRIOT SOFTWARE.

Staff

Reviewed July 24, 2023

I've been using QB's Enterprise Desktop Contractor for decades. Decided to give Online a shot, so I subscribed last week. I have not been able to access the online account and have been told an error has been made and I wasn't listed as the administrator for this company account. I'm the only member, the only administrator, I'm it. Not only did I speak with three different support staff, but two of them confirmed I "was" the administrator while one said I was not. I've been asked to "claim administrative role" with (my...) company by the company administrator...? What?

I was told that is the only way I can access online, and that this has never happened to anyone before. So out of hundreds of thousands of users, I'm the only one who can't access an account I set up... What? I'm angry and disappointed with Intuit, period. The process to establish me as admin takes 5-10 days after I submit my articles of incorporation and driver's license, after a week I've already lost. So 3-weeks will pass before I can even hope to access my accounting. What? Unacceptable period.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed July 13, 2023

I don't seem to recall having made any inquiry to you or Quickbooks as we have not used your services since January of 2023 due to the revelations that we were rather suddenly made aware of concerning your company's business practices in support of criminal activity. You see, at the beginning of the year we found ourselves in the middle of an ACH money laundering scam that cost our small business upwards of about thirty thousand dollars (about $15k directly from our QuickBooks account). There was absolutely NO attempt to contact your paying customer (ME) of the situation, other than an email that blended in with all other email notifications received from your product, which doesn't count as a reasonable attempt to notify.

Before we (your paying customer) were given the opportunity to make our case in an attempt to stop payment back to the criminal who disputed the ACH after we had shipped his product and he took delivery, Intuit decided to join in on the criminal activity and refund the monies that were not owed to anyone but ourselves. After almost eight hours on the phone attempting to present the filed police reports and other evidence to Intuit and different representatives within, absolutely no assistance was rendered on behalf of your paying client. However every possible step was taken to render aid to the non-paying criminal dealing a virtually crushing blow to our company. A hindrance that we still try our very best to continue to recover from today with no thanks to your company.

There's many more details I could share, but what's the point, right? Yet you still try to make contact to get more business from me. I think not. Your company only needed to prove to me once where the loyalties lie. With the criminal, not the customer. That said, I can be bribed to change my opinion on Intuit for the small refund of about $15,000. Since Intuit likes to engage in criminal activity such as the money laundering previously mentioned, they should be able to refund my money without any remorse for the actions they would need to take to do so. It's only logical afterall

PriceOnline & App

Reviewed July 8, 2023

After Quickbooks decided to no longer allow customers to use the desktop version of their software (that the customer had to pay for and owns), they forced everyone to either switch to the Enterprise version which is very expensive and complete overkill for small business or switch to the online version. We switched to the online version which is just as expensive if not more. The online version allows you to download an app to your computer. The app no longer works. Now we are forced to try and run payroll for 15 employees from a web browser. Well now the web browser version does not print our check correctly and there is no way to fix it. Intuit is completely disgusting. We will be switching to another company's accounting software immediately even though we have spent $1000s over the past few years with Quickbooks and will have to start new entering all of our company data into the new software.

Sales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaffProcess

Reviewed July 3, 2023

Please do not buy their services. It's been 1 week they have not released my money yet. Their review department will confirm the id for each review. They are real crooks, cheaters. They lied about their process time. Without my knowledge, they opened an account and transferred money to their bank, so they advertised a 1 business day transfer, but what they don't tell you is it is their bank, not the customer's bank. They ask for 2-5 business days to transfer to the customer's account. From salesperson to review department, all need to get fired. So if you wanna go through the hell, become a customer. I got my fair share already. In one week, they opened 4 reviews under my account. So please go to a real bank or merchant service provider.

Reliability

Reviewed June 27, 2023

Recently update my QB. I didn't want to because I know QB has never done an update that works. Now I get an "unrecoverable error" every time I log in. I don't have access to my QB anymore. So, I guess it's time to waste a day with QB support. I am sure they will not be much help.

Sales & MarketingPricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed June 24, 2023

Used QB Desktop for years. Forced to switch to online version because Intuit no longer providing updates/service to desktop versions. Awful program; don't get it! Migration from desktop version didn't work properly despite being assured transition would be "seamless." Told to purchase wrong version by sales rep. Support non-existent or difficult to get; then had to upgrade at exorbitant price. Employee information not transferred. 3 weeks later still trying to be able to prepare bills to clients and to pay employees. I will move to some other entity as soon as possible.

Price

Reviewed June 6, 2023

Been using Quickbooks for almost 40 years. Purchased Quickbooks Desktop 2020 for a hefty price with the assumption it would be good for at least 8-10 years' use. Nope, Intuit changed their policy to force everyone to use their SAAS model online for a monthly fee...for life!!! Now that I'm forced to use the SAAS model I looked around and found other alternatives that are better for less. Will never purchase another Intuit product again.

Reviewed June 5, 2023

This company is ridiculous. They hold money, make you jump through hoops to get it. THen they make you do it again ... and again. This is NOT their money, it is mine and now too I have to pay them a fee for jerking me around for over a month. Never again ...

Customer ServicePriceStaffProcess

Reviewed May 31, 2023

We have been using Quickbooks for about 20+ years and lately within the last 5 years I would recommend to stay away from this program. They increase the prices rapidly each year so this year they discontinued the Quickbooks Desktop program that we have been using since 2020 (so only 3 years you have to now pay for the same software again at a higher price). So the sales team talked me into migrating to Quickbooks online, telling me how convenient and much easier it is to use than our version. They have made the online cheaper overall than the desktop version so I decided to switch.

I found out I was grossly misled on the amount of time it takes to migrate the system in order to run payroll so we almost missed a weekly payroll for all of our employees and when they said support was easy to reach that was a load of crap plus when you do reach support, maybe 1 out of 100 support professionals even have a clue how to fix the issues you experience. I was told this whole process takes "45 minutes to 1 hour" and I have spent 2 weeks working 10 am to 2 am setting up to do payroll, have almost missed a payroll that I had to do manually and support is almost completely worthless, especially since they disconnect the call when they can't figure out how to help you instead of transferring you to someone else who knows what they are doing. Stay away from Quickbooks, this program is so poorly designed and gets glitchier every year.

Price

Reviewed May 22, 2023

I have been Quickbooks Desktop subscriber more than twenty years. They increased fee 110% for subscription. This is daylight robbery. When asked for explanations, they say cost increases overnight. I understand if price increase 20-30-40%. But it is rip off.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 18, 2023

QuickBooks customer service, which I assume is overseas, is a complete waste of time. My company upgraded our QuickBooks Pro 2021 to Pro 2023 via the phone and received a confirmation number. I was told I would receive an email with download instructions, as well as the new license number and product ID. When the email arrived, there was a download link, but no new license number and product ID listed. I contacted customer service, told the rep the confirmation number and what I needed, and spent 1.5 hours with her repeating everything I said, putting me on hold for several minutes a minimum of 20 time, and getting nowhere.

My requests to talk to a supervisor accounted for half of the hold periods, with her returning each time and asking more questions... with my answers repeated by her. Since we use QuickBooks Payroll Assist, I took a chance that someone there could help me, and got a very knowledgeable rep in the US who not only found the new license number and product ID in maybe two minutes, but stayed on the phone while I downloaded the new program, uninstalled the old program, and made sure the files transferred.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed May 15, 2023

I would no longer recommend Intuit or QB products. They have DOUBLED the 2023 subscription price. AND it is the exact same product as 2022. This year's subscription renewal was over a $1,000.00. I am a lifetime QB user and am very disappointed in their decision to extort loyal customers. Their customer service is not that great either. Do not buy this product.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingReliability

Reviewed May 6, 2023

We have been using QB desktop for many years. While it is not great but it gets the job done for our payroll and client finances. To make matters worse they have been increasing their prices every year for the same piece of trash software that crashes, it's buggy and every year I have to spend almost half of my day upgrading our company files to the new version. To be fair the prices increase every year were modest, maybe 12 or 13 dollars Canadian but today I saw they raised their prices by 60 dollars in one year, I used to pay $80 monthly now I have to pay $140 for the same crappy software with bloatware features! I contacted their support and their response was pretty much this is the new price deal with it. Are you kidding me Intuit? What kind of a scam are you running?

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupStaff

Reviewed April 26, 2023

Our business was with Intuit desktop version for 10 + years with relatively good experience. Then they talked me into switching to mobile/online version. A huge mistake. I paid for upgrade, but when it came to installing it, the customer service, that was out of country, was so incompetent that after an hour we did not move any further from them asking for my email because they could not find my registration for online version. Except I have told them million times that I only paid for upgrade but have not registered yet and was still using desktop form and reason for call was to register and install online version.

After that I just told them to cancel my upgrade and reimburse me the money. Nope none of that happened. They jacked up my rate, did not reimburse me. This went on for several weeks where I call, everybody is so sorry about my issue but they continued to make things worse. I was at least 1-2 times during the call transferred to bogus departments. If I needed Billing they would transfer me to Bill pay. Or tell me I needed desktop support and then they would tell me I need online support.

Then they blocked my desktop version. I would get Must register error and if I clicked on it would say already registered. When I called about this they said my account was blocked for defaulting on payment even my payment is automatic, with overcharged higher rate and, of course, no reimbursement for Online version upgrade that never happened. As I write this I am still being transferred from agent to agent. My payroll must be sent within 2 hours and I am no further than "I am sorry for your inconvenience but you need different department". After this I am checking Xero or Sage or other companies as I have lost confidence in Intuit.