ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.17/5

TriNet provides industry-tailored HR solutions to small and midsize businesses with exceptional human resources services.

TriNet Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

We are a small, two-person office with limited time for admin or overhead. We're not TriNet power users, so we either forget or don't know some of the functions. Whenever we need help, we write to our rep, who always gets back to us in a short window. With their support, we can get on with what we need to do in our roles here.

Get expert buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

For the past three years, I have really enjoyed working with TriNet. They have taught me a lot about human resources, for which I am grateful. Our Human Capital Consultant, Christine ** has been a tremendous blessing to me. She has stuck with our organization through thick and thin. She has been patient to answer my many questions. She is always open and honest with me, and I appreciate that. Recently, our company fell below the threshold of employees required to have a designated Human Capital Consultant, but Christine requested to remain on our account, and her request was granted. I am so thankful for her and her expertise.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

For the last 13 years, we have saved so much time for letting TriNet to manage our payroll, healthcare insurance, and 401K, all being taken care of, we can focus on our core business rather than these paperworks. The well around employee benefit program helped us to keep talent in our company, and take care of our employees' and families' well being. Highly recommended.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

The TriNet website is relatively easy to navigate as an employee. As an employer managing the TriNet relationship and company personnel information, I hoped the new reporting tool would be as simple as a list of data fields and dates to use to generate reports. Otherwise I think the user interface to reporting is a great success. Thank you.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I had a challenging process of transferring my old insurance, including paid deductibles, out of pocket maximums, etc. The TriNet team made a few mistakes, which was frustrating, but they owned the issues and got things resolved. The onboarding process was very well scripted, as was their online tool. I really appreciate the sales management team stepping up to help push things through in the end. We're a small company and there cannot have been a big incentive for them, but they really got things done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TriNet?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

The system has provided the necessary process and means for us to run payroll and offer comprehensive benefits for our employees. We did review other modules and because there isn't a good integration of the modules we decided to look externally for other HR systems to accomplish some of our other processes.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

It all started with an over-sell, which as a CEO, I have come to expect. But then the transition period started. After spending hours upon hours providing data for our small 15 person firm, not one note taken during the countless hours was ever implemented. It was as though I had just wasted all the time and effort. As a result of the disastrous transition, NOTHING has ever worked correctly. We are a small government contractor, so there are certain things that must be done precisely to remain compliant with contract requirements. Because we are a DC firm, we were also told that we would have to manage our own healthcare, which I later discovered was just not true. So after 1 year, we have yet to have one smooth payroll with no errors and although we are paying a fee that is well above industry norm, I am doing more work than ever!

The only thing TriNet does is process the payroll...that is it. I handle HSA/FSA, medical withdrawals and payments, 401k processing and much more. Basically, TriNet is nothing more than a payroll processor (and not a very good one) and a platform that is full of glitches and completely non-customizable. We were told that their online platform would allow us to send out announcements, introduce new employees, etc. NOT TRUE! The platform has one announcement feature which appears if the employee scrolls down their login screen to the bottom, which we know they don't.

Then comes the customer service - I would rate as tied with the worst car salesman and sub-standard restaurant I have ever been to. They all seem to be virtual and can never answer a simple question over the phone. As a small business, every minute I lose to sitting on hold, or waiting for TriNet before I can process payroll, is time I am NOT growing my business. So in the net-net of it, unless you just want to throw away money and still spend most of your time doing HR and payroll, then I would highly recommend you not use TriNet.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We are very pleased with all areas of TriNet. Our consultant is outstanding and always goes above and beyond. Our client services rep is always ready to help and if he does not know he will find out. We are always up to date about new laws or changes. We feel supported in all areas of the relationship.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We have loved being part of the TriNet community. All of our interactions with their customer service department have been helpful and efficient! We have a lot of confidence in their HR technology and their team members! Our payroll system, medical benefit programs and financial solutions are exactly what we need.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I am the CFO at a small, 25 person firm. Went with TriNet to simplify administration. Now I am paying 2500 more a month than before but now with MORE headaches. They don't take over HR, they merely make it easier to find out what new compliance rules you should be following. Since moving to TriNet a payroll cycle was late (our first time in our 22 year history) and we are having issues (technical glitches) with report extracts that are now making retirement contributions now more than 10 days late. Worse our client success partner seems unable to answer any question directly.

Me: "what's the status of open case #..., this is urgent and needs a workaround if it can't be fixed soon". Client Success Partner: "I am working hard to find an answer. I'm sorry for the inconvenience". Either they haven't a clue or they intentionally avoid answering tough questions. Good training ground for politics. Bad if you are used to providing your own staff with actual answers and timely payroll deposits.

TriNet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1988 and headquartered in San Leandro, Calif., TriNet provides bundled HR solutions, cloud products and strategic services for over 13,000 clients across the country. They work with small and mid-sized businesses in a variety of industries, including entertainment, financial services, healthcare, technology, nonprofit and many more.

• Leadership training: Managers and supervisors need to be well-informed of best practices when it comes to compliance and other HR-related issues. TriNet’s leadership training and development workshops are designed to help company leaders build their company culture and understand compliance issues. Workshops take place at your company’s location or at a regional location.

• HR grader: Use TriNet’s HR grader tool to determine your company’s current HR status and find areas where your company needs improvement. This tool can help you figure out which of TriNet’s three bundled HR products will be most beneficial for you.

• International services: Companies that frequently hire international employees have to deal with a lot of additional headaches, such as visas, immigration and retention. TriNet International Services takes care of managing the immigration process on their cloud-based system, including visa and green card application and renewal.

• Career Transitions: TriNet’s Career Transitions service provides support and guidance for employees who have been terminated. This service demonstrates to your employees, both those who have been terminated and those still employed, that they are valued. It also minimizes the risk of adverse reactions by helping the terminated employee focus on their employment future instead of dwelling on the past.

• Best for: TriNet is best for small to mid-sized businesses.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team