TriNet

Compare PEO Services

Research top PEO Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We are a fast growing, SAAS company. Supposedly right in the sweet spot of TriNet. The whole process with these guys was in some way good in other way not at all. So please my goal of writing this is not to blast these folks but make others aware and hope some execs at TriNet will see this and update some of the policies. My sales team was led by a guy named Curtis and what I assume was an SDR named Josie. Some specific feedback:

1. Make your demo's work. If you are touting a SAAS platform I don't want to hear the Cobbler kids story and that your demo is that last get updated. I wanted to see how this is going work. Demos were choppy at best. Also I am big believer in trying things so please make it so I can have demo account.

2. Way too shady on pricing. First off there is not misperception these folks are known to be expensive. We currently use the full service solution by Paychex. It was very frustrating in the sales process where NO pricing would be shared. Also we even shared a sample employee list with the company. Apparently unless you give them every piece of data about your employees they will not provide pricing. What are you hiding from?

It got so bad that when I finally pushed for some pricing I got a note from Curtis saying they would not provide pricing and were going to walk away. Would have loved to do business but I am sorry when I am dating someone I am not going to provide full transparency into all info about my employees, nor do I think I should be asked to do that.

They have an exceptional human resources, great customer service and very very reliable and for reasonable rates they provide you with great quality individuals. They are very helpful. It only takes one phone call and they respond immediately within the hour. Really exceptional service and human resources and staff. They offer a wide variety of training to their personnel and to the company. We always rely of them as our only source for human resources, excellent company. Their prices are on the higher end but it is so so worth it when you compare it to the value provided and their excellent customer service and human resources.

Trinet is great at helping through the hiring process. They have great capabilities and services that are provided to their customers and employers. I love using this company. Trinet is simple to use. No hassles at all during the whole process. Great organization and focused on the main goal. I like dealing with companies such as this. They have many different training options as well which is always nice to have. They help with so many different things such as organization and strategies. Value is nice. I value their input and support a lot. They are worth using if you are looking for this type of service to help the company.

Payroll is easy to implement and understand. The human resource personnel were courteous and knowledgeable. Their technology platform was intuitive to navigate and the performance was impressive. Providing benefits services as an outsourced business function provides substantial cost savings when it is not a company's core competency. This service was simple to understand and navigate. Training options provided were flexible due to being able to point company personnel to a website URL for training curriculum. Progress and status reports were readily available. Saving the company time and money for what is not a core competency of the business impacts the bottom line in a greatly beneficial way.

Group benefits, health plans and retirement. They also provide employee compliance and a variety of other services. I highly recommend them. It helps to distribute jobs out equally and it gives the employees a variety of benefits. It is also a great way for companies to outsource a number of different tasks. The training is very good and it is very in depths. It shows employees a variety of different tasks that can be accomplished and lets them grow and succeed with the companies. Very high value in the quality of work for the companies.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trinet?

There was about as much variety as you would expect. There were a fair amount so as overwhelming people wouldn't be an issue. Overall it's easily comparable to competitors though. Allocating tasks such as payroll to an outside source was easy as pie. Seeing as though paying our employees is extremely important, I must give a score of ten out of ten. It's always difficult to train such a large group of people, however it is beyond important that everyone is at least in the same page. Employees should not be giving different answers on the same subject and be afraid to ask for help. PEO companies are chosen for their ease and pricing. It's important that cost is not only comparable but, beats the competition. Does this company give more bang for the buck? Yes.

TriNet offers HR data solutions to manage information and accessibility of HR employment services making it easy to retrieve information pertaining to benefits, wages and time off. TriNet is not complicated to use but it does and will take some getting used to upon initial implementation. Once one has used it for a while, it is very easy to maneuver. TriNet offers an online library with training implementation services for employers to utilize. It is a good option to have and better than not, though the training it provides is not top notch. TriNet is comparable with similar corporations of the same caliber in respect to value and costs. I wouldn't say that TriNet exceeds others in offering outstanding value.

I wish there was more variety. However it is a lower priced option compared to a few other companies. I will use them in the future if pricing stays fair. Very simple to use. User friendly. Easy for me to process and receive payments. I think because it is so simplified that makes it easier to understand. Training options are just ok. I think anyone can use this service without a lot of training. It is helpful to have better training options should someone need them. Great value! The prices and low fee are the best. I've recommended this service to many others because of the low cost of doing business with them.

They had amazing variety and I was able to accomplish everything I needed. I was surprised by the variety they offered to me and would love to do business with them again. They were super easy to work with and to use to accomplish my goals. It's wonderful and amazing to work with someone that's incredible and easy. They offered lots of training options and were able to help my staff reach their full potential and I encourage that everyone use them because you will get amazing results. The value is unbeatable and is a great way to save money and make all your dreams come true. You can beat the quality of service and it makes this an excellent value.

TriNet got my name and address through LinkedIn. One of them previously worked at a company that I had participated in one of my seminars. Once I asked about this he acted like that is why he was calling. We scheduled a call. He asked for a pre-call. In the pre-call he was only interested in talking about his products that were of no interest to me. He hung up. I do not appreciate my LinkedIn account being used for cold calls.

If there is a negative star, I would give a negative star... It has always been a pain to deal with FSA dependent care reimbursement with TriNet. They declined my claim a few times asking for additional documents. Finally I got $5000 approved in total for this year for my son's pre-school expense. Since I got all $5000 approved, the reimbursement amount should be exactly the same as the contribution for each pay period. However, they messed it up for no reason since last month. For the June 30th pay period, my employer contributed $216 new money into the FSA account, the reimbursement check they mailed for that pay period only had $14 value in it!! I called TriNet a couple of times. They created a ticket for me, but didn't solve anything!!

For July 15th pay period, my employer again contributed $216 new money to my FSA account, I received nothing!! No reimbursement check at all!! But the "payment" amount on their website still "magically" matches the "contribution" amount! What an amazing way to STEAL people's money! I'm not sure if this is TriNet's business model - getting money from the employer and never reimburse it! I have to call them again tomorrow, I doubt if they can solve anything. If they don't reimburse and keep stealing money from me, I will have to sue the company to get it back!

I have been using TriNet for payroll processing and employee benefits for more than a year and to the moment customer services do not provide any customer services. I have to submit my requests several times before it's taken care of it. I suppose that having a company that takes care of benefits and HR would alleviate my work flow, but instead I have to be re-sending my requests several times and sometimes I even have to call and make sure that my request is being considered after emailing failed. The application is getting old as well and it's not intuitive, that's the reason I need customer support, otherwise I would take care of most of my requests on my own.

My employer uses Trinet and it is a disaster. TriNet employees do not know what they are talking about and you get shifted around and a lot of double-talk. The benefits they advise employers to provide are at a very low level and definitely not in the employee's best interests. Too much cutting corners on TriNet's part - probably to maximize their profit margins instead of focusing on providing quality service. Stay away from them.

I have done business with this company for over 10 years and their service has deteriorated significantly while their prices went up a lot. They provide payroll services with Workers Comp insurance which is very convenient. Unfortunately when you need any special reports that you do not have access to it is almost impossible to get the to send them to you. Plan to ask for them with PLENTY of time in advance. Especially the tax department. The tax department has a tendency to act like they are doing such important work so they cannot possibly answer emails, send reports or pay some of your taxes. They did not pay my SUTA tax in for several quarters in 2015 with no explanation (they were too busy to answer).

When I demanded an explanation from everyone I could get a hold that I knew there as to why the tax was not being filed or paid they blamed it on the difficulties they were having with the state unemployment departments and that it takes time to resolve issues. Well I too was in contact with the state unemployment office and there were no issues and SOI/TRINET had NOT contacted them at all. So they lied. I no longer use them but need quarterly and year end payroll reports from 2015 for my accountant that I asked for 45 days ago and I am still waiting...

TriNet mistakenly signed me up for a different dental insurance plan than the one I elected (not even sure how that's possible considering I would think that system would be automated). I alerted them of the issue, but they did not resolve the problem until April (the insurance plan started in January). Meanwhile, I needed a filling and didn't have the time to wait for TriNet to fix their mistake, so I went to dentist that accepted the insurance I was actually enrolled in (and was paying for).

When TriNet finally changed me to right insurance plan, they retroactively enrolled me, so the dentist I had seen no longer accepted my insurance and my claim was denied. I appealed this with TriNet multiple times since it was them that made the mistake, but without justifying their decision, they simply told me the appeal was denied and I would be forced to pay out of pocket. I also had to contact them just to get them to refund me the difference between the two insurance plans. Because of mistakes like this and a general disregard for their customers, the company I work for is switching from TriNet to Zenefits and I could not be happy. Long story short, if you value your time and money, TriNet is not the company for you.

I am the president of a company that decided to outsource our HR/Benefits/Payroll to TriNet. They have set us back at least a year because of the lies told by their sales team and the absolute incompetence of the rest of their staff. I don't even know where to begin, from start to finish they have been an absolute train wreck. They couldn't provide us with workers comp even though they swore they would. They also didn't tell us until after our old policy had expired. They can't run the proper reports for our prevailing wage projects. Their HR support has been wrong and we have had to do our own research. Seriously, for the amount of time and money you have to put into working with these idiots, just do it yourself. They provide no tangible benefit.

TriNet is screwing us over at a rate of $440 a month. Yup. I left my job back in September and my husband's employer uses TriNet. His medical insurance premium was $0 per month and when he added me to his plan, he got NO indication whatsoever from TriNet that his premium would change. Given that TriNet also doesn't issue any paper paystubs, he didn't find out about the increase from $0 to $440 until recently when he happened to look at his paystub online. TriNet now refuses to make changes to his insurance plan due to IRS policies about changing plans during non open enrollment period. Now, we are stuck with paying an extra $440/month premium or $5300/year out-of-pocket expenses. The worst part? I rarely ever use medical facilities or go see a doctor.

TriNet my PEO took it upon themselves to approve two unemployment claims which increased by suta rate. For years I was charged the highest rate since the State of FL based it on their company instead of just mine. When they finally changed the law and I was able to benefit from the low rate, the savings was substantial. Unfortunately, this only lasted one year. TriNet never gave me the opportunity to reply to the State when two of my employees were terminated due to having abandoned their jobs. The claims were never addressed and because of this, one former employee who was arrested for domestic violence and assaulting a police officer and the other left to go on vacation and decided to not return are receiving unemployment checks on my account. They also never forwarded the unemployment letter from the State of Florida stating the new rate which also allows you to dispute the rate within a 30 day period.

When I confronted them with this issue, I was told that an email (which I never received) was sent to me. No follow up phone call at all. I asked to speak to the unemployment division of their company but was told I was not allowed. I had to go through my rep, who then had to go to her supervisor. Their response was that they did nothing wrong. I then took it up with the human resource rep, who basically just tried to smooth things over. I then asked to speak to a supervisor in that department. I finally received a call and was told that she would do some research and get back to me. The next contact was an email telling me she was going on vacation and would handle it when she returned. I never heard from her again and that was over four months ago. I just recently sent her another email (that is their preferred form of communication) and I received a call from my ex-human resource rep. They change their reps constantly.

I basically was told that what was done cannot be changed and how do we move forward. They handled my unemployment claims without my knowledge and I am stuck with paying thousands of dollars more than I should be. The worst part of it all is that they allowed two people, one a felon and the other a crackhead to receive unemployment benefits when they really did not qualify. I think this is a big deal and someone should be accountable but they just want it to go away. I could end the relationship but the health insurance holds me hostage. They are supposed to look out for their clients' interests not make costly decisions in their behalf.

I was under the impression TriNet was an impartial HR alternative for small and start-up companies. There is, supposedly, a formal complaint process to fairly handle HR related issues. My experience is that TriNet works (and is paid) by the Company and the way they handle complaints is to impede the process and find in favor of who pays the bills.

I filed a serious compliance complaint against one of the officers in my company. During the complaint submission process, I was told TriNet needed to get 'permission' for from the Company to discuss the situation with me. I was taken aback by the need to ask 'permission' but thankfully permission granted. I met with the TriNet representative with all the documentation supporting my complaint. Initial feedback was that this was indeed a very serious issue which should be handled promptly and thoroughly. The representative stated that the next steps were to discuss the situation with other employees and the officer in question. The representative also stated that I would receive feedback of any findings.

My inside information reported back that TriNet DID NOT reach out to many of the company employees I stated were witness or involved to the events. In addition, the employee interviews that did take place were months (2-3) delay from my initial meeting with TriNet. This was not a thorough investigation and definitely was not considered prompt.

The worst part is that I have never heard from TriNet again. No call. No report. Nothing. I attempted to contact the TriNet representative who did my interview (4 months after the incident, 2 months after the internal review). No return call. Reflecting back on the entire process, TriNet is a Company biased HR alternative, not the employees. Should TriNet favor for employees against the company then TriNet may jeopardize future contract renewals and business. TriNet is a great resource for payroll and benefits - but do not believe that TriNet is looking after the rights of employees.

Our company uses HR services provided by TriNet. They are a real pain to deal with especially when it comes to Flexible Spending Account (FSA). I submitted a claim along with the Explanation of Benefits. They accepted part of the claim and rejected the rest with the following reason: "We were unable to process your flexible spending account (FSA) out-of-pocket claim request. The documentation provided was insufficient to confirm your purchase was FSA-eligible."

Other than the EOB, what else could I submit? If the Insurance EOB is not sufficient, then I don't know what to say. I honestly hope that our company would switch to use HR services somewhere else. These guys are horrible. Don't use them.

I was the CEO of a small start-up company and I was the one who selected to use TriNet. Therefore, I am the one responsible for making the mistake of choosing to outsource our HR to TriNet. Our sales rep said that the payroll information could be imported into QuickBooks (TriNet couldn't do this & wasted our time & several calls/emails to figure this out). We were told that we could customize our Employee Handbook (several errors and was released to our employees prior to approval). The errors just kept on coming. What was the biggest problem was our Account Service Consultant never returned phone calls or emails until we went over her head. If I could give a 0 star rating, I would.

The company I work for uses TriNet and I have always had positive experiences with them. They have always submitted my requests for PTO adequately and timely. Every time I had to contact customer service, the rep is always polite and thorough. I had an issue with my health benefits package a few months ago and within a few days it was all sorted out.

Constant FSA Issues.

So here's the deal. I have been trying to submit my Flexible Savings Account claims for the past two weeks. I feel like each time I submit a claim, the automatic reply is a rejection; TriNet seemingly rejects FSA claims as a matter of practice, so I called TriNet.

I was put on hold, at first for 3 minutes; then after the 3 minutes, the hold time was updated to 5 minutes.

Once I finally got a representative on the phone, they asked me my issue; then asked me for a bunch of information; then once I provided the information, they asked me my issue again (I think she had forgotten in the last minute). So once I explained my issue (for the second time), it turned out that the receipt I'd provided wasn't enough for them to process the claim.

So... it turns out I have to either chase down the original medical provider to get a better receipt (how this is possible, I don't know) or also provide the Explanation of Benefits from my insurance company.

Lesson learned: When submitting FSA reimbursements, always include a copy of the EOB from your insurance company (even if your PEO organization doesn't tell you that you should).

Consumer Increased Rating!
Trinet ultimately resolved my concerns, thanks.

I haven't had any problems since the onboarding - about 3 years.

Matt of New York, NY on

Original Review

My employer uses the PEO TriNet to handle our insurance plans, payroll and general HR requirements. I used TriNet's on boarding process to choose my health plans, and then confirmed that the health plans I chose were processed by TriNet. However, TriNet never on boarded me onto my health plan (Aetna), and when I called TriNet, their explanation was they just didn't do it. Would I like them to try again? TriNet had this same issue with other employees at my company. My impression is that TriNet has poor attention to detail and may be cutting corners.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1988 and headquartered in San Leandro, Calif., TriNet provides bundled HR solutions, cloud products and strategic services for over 13,000 clients across the country. They work with small and mid-sized businesses in a variety of industries, including entertainment, financial services, healthcare, technology, nonprofit and many more.

• Leadership training: Managers and supervisors need to be well-informed of best practices when it comes to compliance and other HR-related issues. TriNet’s leadership training and development workshops are designed to help company leaders build their company culture and understand compliance issues. Workshops take place at your company’s location or at a regional location.
  • HR grader: Use TriNet’s HR grader tool to determine your company’s current HR status and find areas where your company needs improvement. This tool can help you figure out which of TriNet’s three bundled HR products will be most beneficial for you.
  • International services: Companies that frequently hire international employees have to deal with a lot of additional headaches, such as visas, immigration and retention. TriNet International Services takes care of managing the immigration process on their cloud-based system, including visa and green card application and renewal.
  • Career Transitions: TriNet’s Career Transitions service provides support and guidance for employees who have been terminated. This service demonstrates to your employees, both those who have been terminated and those still employed, that they are valued. It also minimizes the risk of adverse reactions by helping the terminated employee focus on their employment future instead of dwelling on the past.
  • Best for TriNet is best for small to mid-sized businesses.

Compare PEO Services