TriNet
1.78/5
Based on 41 reviews that contain star ratings

Discover a recommended PEO service now

TriNet

41 TriNet Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 31, 2018

My experience is similar to several other reviewers. I was way oversold what TriNet has delivered. I was charged an onboarding fee, and then I had to do almost all of the work. The one time an employee's information was wrong, I was told that as an administrator I couldn't fix it though I knew the correct information. My most valuable employee was paid late as a result, and she was not happy. I was told that TriNet would make my life easy and deliver "maximum efficiency," I have worked in an international accounting firm and in a global corporation. I have never experienced bureaucracy as bad as TriNet, When will it ever end? My simple advice is stay away from TriNet. You will be disappointed. I wish I had.

Original review: May 4, 2018

My 15 month nightmare as a customer with TriNet is over! Onboarding was a disaster, the mid-year change in their portal was incomplete and I still am unable to get copies of all of my Payroll Data or Quarterly U.C. reports. Very difficult to find anybody to take ownership of a problem.

Get expert buying tips about PEO Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2018

They don't seem to know what is FSA eligible and what is not FSA eligible and can't tell the difference between OTC and supplements. They even ask for a Letter of Medical Necessity for mileage to your doctor! They contradict their own published eligibility list when processing claims. If I submit a claim, the chance they would find a reason to not approve is about 90% and the chance that they get it wrong is at least that much. And there is no way to easily rebuke their "decision." Their form puts your claim in limbo so if you are repealing a claim, you pretty much have to resubmit it. If I can give zero or negative stars, I would! TriNet is simply the worst FSA organization I have ever dealt with!

Original review: April 2, 2018

TriNet failed to deduct city state taxes from half of our staff for an entire year. They then denied all responsibility despite failing to follow our W9 instructions and resident locations for tax deductions. Instead of working with us with transparency they simply told us W2Cs would be issued. Their reporting of who was impacted was lazily thrown together and inaccurate, and they lied about the timeline for delivery of these W2Cs causing major issues for our staff's tax reporting. A complete shirking of accountability. We are frequently asked for PEO recommendations and will be sure to broadcast TriNet's wildly unprofessional behavior.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Our company switched to TriNet SOI in 2016, against all of the information I tried to provide and their shady sales techniques at the start. The onboarding process completely derailed the productivity of our office and several employees went without health insurance for weeks. Despite being told they had it. Since then they have two categories of customer service; inexperienced and A+. Getting a superstar to help you at TriNet is like finding a needle in a haystack. They are not available until you are curled up in a corner in the fetal position, sucking, rocking yourself for comfort.

Fast forward to today with the unmerger or whatever they are calling it. Take the previous unaccountable staff and rachet it up to hair-on-fire. It has always been their word against yours and it's even worse now. Because TriNet is a "digital" company, you will not receive a piece of registered mail, email or even a phone call confirmation that an employee was sent time-sensitive information. We continue to be told someone isn't eligible for health insurance because they didn't respond to an imaginary email they claim they sent.

This happens all the time with other HR and employee issues. They claim they emailed you the info, you didn't respond and it's on you. Like you can prove they emailed something, because they certainly cannot. If you want to tarnish the reputation of your company and spend hours mitigating misinformation and negligence, TriNet is your best bet. On a weekly basis it's like knitting a sweater with TriNet behind you pulling it apart. There wasn't an option to give them zero stars.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Trinet?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

If I could give the company a zero, I definitely would. This is the 3rd PEO we have utilized and out of all of them this is the worst (Trinet and SOI). They have extremely poor customer service, lucky if you get a call back within a month. If you are looking to augment your staff, certainly will not happen here. You will end up with more on your plate. We spend an inordinate amount of time following on open/unresolved issues with this company. They are not knowledgeable in employer state tax/labor laws. They will assign you a team that does not communicate with each other so you end up training several Trinet staff on your business. They changed the terms of our agreement without notification. They migrated our company to a new platform and provided little to no migration support. They did not verify the data they migrated. I could go on and on but I think you get the point.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

From onboarding to exit, dealing with TriNet is an absolutely horrible experience, I can't believe there aren't more regulatory or other compliance issues with this horrible HR outsourcer. Starting with getting access, took several emails and calls just to get onto the system, then benefit selection, payroll and every other little thing was awful. Calling or email or web does not help in any way. After I ended my association with one of their subject companies, they hid behind and lied about nearly everything in off-boarding. Finally, they up and "outsourced" my 401k without telling me or consent and sold my investments and hit me with hefty fees to boot. Then the next outsourcer banged with me with another hefty fee that wiped out my gains from any investment in the year, just to get my money back. Awful, awful, awful.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I am trying to get my tax form updated for the past 3 months but it looks like the TriNet folks are not in a mood to do it. I am repeatedly asked to submit the same set of documents and after submitting them I get an email two months later asking me to submit one more document. When I tried to speak their customer service, I always reached to the people who are not the folks (Employment Eligibility team) responsible for resolving my issue and they could never connect me to the EE team - even after putting me on hold for half an hour. Pathetic customer service.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Warning... Stay away from this PEO. They have been overcharging my company since May 2017, and continue to tell me they are working on the credit and have even elevated it to upper management. There are many other issues that we are experiencing which are VERY similar to the other reviews on this site. All I tell you is you have been forewarned.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Talk about over-promising and under-delivering. Our system just launched and I have already spent more hours than I would ever want to count trying to fix their errors, with many more hours yet to come. Most of the customization can only happen on the backend and you have to ask multiple times before anything is fixed. We have employees who are unable to login or select benefits. Rates changed at the last minute and increased from the amount quoted to us and then by us to our employees. Even after the benefits start date of 1/1, rates changed from one week to the next. The system takes 24+ hours to update so you will continue to receive prompts to enroll in benefits or complete an I9 even after you've finished the task (assuming you're even able to access the system). Completion of direct deposit forms were not processed in time and some employees are receiving paper checks.

The platform itself is a mess. I've now sent our implementation "specialist" more than 20 screenshots of error messages that I receive when trying to generate basic payroll reports, and apparently no one is able to fix them. Employees have received auto-generated emails confirming retirement contributions that were improperly populated. Although I was able to get them to fix the errors (I hope), apparently they can only generate the letters once so there's no way for employees to receive correct confirmation. You have to enter each employee manually, no batch changes or uploads. We were previously using very basic systems and thought this would reduce the administrative burden and increase employee options. Instead I have justifiably irate employees and spend far too much of my time simultaneously trying to fix the problems, and apologizing. Our salesperson was great, unfortunately it's been all downhill ever since.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I have never understood false advertising until today. We were presented pricing for insurance for our employees and based on this we signed a contract and terminated our old payroll company. When we are down to the deadline, 10 days until payroll. We are now told they made a mistake and the insurance is now roughly $300 more per employees. Can you imagine telling your employee this? Now we are too late to go back to the company we had and have no payroll company or insurance for our employees. I don't think this should be legal.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I cannot begin to describe the incompetence of TriNet's PEO services. From the very first day of implementation it was a disaster and has only gone downhill since then. 6 weeks into payroll we are still having issues and we even have an employee who is still not enrolled in benefits! I was completely lied to during the sales process, everything I was told I would have access to I don't. Our employees' changes are not going through, their taxes are being messed up and reverting back to old elections, one employee's benefits increased without him making a change or being notified of any change. Every week it's a headache and I still don't have any answers as to why these issues happen. I've heard of many companies pulling out during implementation and I wish we would have to. We are already looking to go back to our old PEO. I guess you get what you paid for but I would strongly urge you to reconsider if you are thinking of signing on with TriNet.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

If you are looking at PEO's ensure you do more research outside of implementing TriNet! When something goes wrong - it is an excuse or blaming someone else. We received our 3K implementation fees back due to so many issues during implementation. Our company size was minimized as "well you are only 30 people" - when I informed TriNet we have 50 in another country and we are scaling quickly. TriNet fails to recognize the power or an organization growing. If you hire a PEO it is supposed to alleviate the pain of HR/Payroll. I can say the opposite as I have interacted with other PEO's and not had this issue. Another excuse (due to escalation) was "we" meaning TriNet - have gone through a lot of change and acquisition - "we are growing too" - not truly a good reason of the "why's" everything is going so poorly.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Their customer service is terrible. They assign support representatives whenever they want. In fact, I have had several reps over the past few years. With new reps, it takes time for them to get to know your company and is a complete waste of time. If you spend the majority of your time getting new reps up to speed, it can be frustrating based on my experience. I was assigned a new rep in March. During the last 6 months, I never heard from him. When I called him, he did not know who I was. Finally, they make unilateral decisions regarding your benefits without your authorization. They say that this is a PEO and there is a Co-Employer relationship. My experience is that they do what they want. Buyer beware. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: March 18, 2017

Received notification regarding old FSA accounts showing run out period date 10/15/2010 and 1/15/2012 with the latter showing a balance of $2,400. No explanation why this letter was sent in 2017. What gives?

Original review: March 2, 2017

I am so incredibly frustrated, and still struggling with TriNet as they continue to take money out of my paycheck for my kids. Even though I have submitted the proper paperwork (before TriNet said my kids were going to be added), in proving that I am not responsible for their insurance coverage, as I am paying my former wife to be on her plan, TriNet continues to come up with bogus reasons to keep them on my plan. So far to-date they have overcharged me close to $1,000 and caused so much frustration and anguish. I would strongly suggest looking at other options in deciding on an insurance company, and only going with TriNet as an absolute last resort. The stress and frustration that I've experience is not worth it.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

I was let go from my company on 12/12/2016. As required, I went through the process to decline health insurance, as I had registered and prepaid for insurance through ACA. Despite assurances to the contrary, the premium was taken from my last paycheck on 12/22/2016. I have since been told twice now that reimbursement had been processed; " ... the check was fedexed on 1/6..." On 1/17 when I had not received the check, they backtracked, said there was some delay in processing (then how could it have been fedexed on 1/6?). After several emails and lengthy phone calls, I was again assured the check was processed and would be posted directly to my account on 2/1, or 2/6 at the latest. Today, 2/6 I'm back to lengthy phone calls and the promise of escalation along with apologies.

So, were their actions FRAUDULENT or NEGLIGENT? 1) Taking the premium from my last paycheck, after declined insurance through them. 2) Telling me the reimbursement check had been mailed to me on 1/6, but NEVER sending it. 3) Telling me again the check had been issued on 2/1 and would be posted to my account by 2/3, or 2/6 at the very latest. 4) On 2/6, the check had not posted to my account as they assured me (second time they falsely made that assurance), I find that the posted in through 'snail mail' the supervisor's words. So, after many hours in phone calls, and emails from 12/23 to 2/6, several times they had the chance to handle this properly, their last action is to put it in the slowest mail they could. Not even a good faith attempt to expedite this.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

We are a fast growing, SAAS company. Supposedly right in the sweet spot of TriNet. The whole process with these guys was in some way good in other way not at all. So please my goal of writing this is not to blast these folks but make others aware and hope some execs at TriNet will see this and update some of the policies. My sales team was led by a guy named Curtis and what I assume was an SDR named Josie. Some specific feedback:

1. Make your demo's work. If you are touting a SAAS platform I don't want to hear the Cobbler kids story and that your demo is that last get updated. I wanted to see how this is going work. Demos were choppy at best. Also I am big believer in trying things so please make it so I can have demo account.

2. Way too shady on pricing. First off there is not misperception these folks are known to be expensive. We currently use the full service solution by Paychex. It was very frustrating in the sales process where NO pricing would be shared. Also we even shared a sample employee list with the company. Apparently unless you give them every piece of data about your employees they will not provide pricing. What are you hiding from?

It got so bad that when I finally pushed for some pricing I got a note from Curtis saying they would not provide pricing and were going to walk away. Would have loved to do business but I am sorry when I am dating someone I am not going to provide full transparency into all info about my employees, nor do I think I should be asked to do that.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2016

They have an exceptional human resources, great customer service and very very reliable and for reasonable rates they provide you with great quality individuals. They are very helpful. It only takes one phone call and they respond immediately within the hour. Really exceptional service and human resources and staff. They offer a wide variety of training to their personnel and to the company. We always rely of them as our only source for human resources, excellent company. Their prices are on the higher end but it is so so worth it when you compare it to the value provided and their excellent customer service and human resources.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

Trinet is great at helping through the hiring process. They have great capabilities and services that are provided to their customers and employers. I love using this company. Trinet is simple to use. No hassles at all during the whole process. Great organization and focused on the main goal. I like dealing with companies such as this. They have many different training options as well which is always nice to have. They help with so many different things such as organization and strategies. Value is nice. I value their input and support a lot. They are worth using if you are looking for this type of service to help the company.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

Payroll is easy to implement and understand. The human resource personnel were courteous and knowledgeable. Their technology platform was intuitive to navigate and the performance was impressive. Providing benefits services as an outsourced business function provides substantial cost savings when it is not a company's core competency. This service was simple to understand and navigate. Training options provided were flexible due to being able to point company personnel to a website URL for training curriculum. Progress and status reports were readily available. Saving the company time and money for what is not a core competency of the business impacts the bottom line in a greatly beneficial way.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2016

Group benefits, health plans and retirement. They also provide employee compliance and a variety of other services. I highly recommend them. It helps to distribute jobs out equally and it gives the employees a variety of benefits. It is also a great way for companies to outsource a number of different tasks. The training is very good and it is very in depths. It shows employees a variety of different tasks that can be accomplished and lets them grow and succeed with the companies. Very high value in the quality of work for the companies.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

There was about as much variety as you would expect. There were a fair amount so as overwhelming people wouldn't be an issue. Overall it's easily comparable to competitors though. Allocating tasks such as payroll to an outside source was easy as pie. Seeing as though paying our employees is extremely important, I must give a score of ten out of ten. It's always difficult to train such a large group of people, however it is beyond important that everyone is at least in the same page. Employees should not be giving different answers on the same subject and be afraid to ask for help. PEO companies are chosen for their ease and pricing. It's important that cost is not only comparable but, beats the competition. Does this company give more bang for the buck? Yes.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

TriNet offers HR data solutions to manage information and accessibility of HR employment services making it easy to retrieve information pertaining to benefits, wages and time off. TriNet is not complicated to use but it does and will take some getting used to upon initial implementation. Once one has used it for a while, it is very easy to maneuver. TriNet offers an online library with training implementation services for employers to utilize. It is a good option to have and better than not, though the training it provides is not top notch. TriNet is comparable with similar corporations of the same caliber in respect to value and costs. I wouldn't say that TriNet exceeds others in offering outstanding value.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2016

I wish there was more variety. However it is a lower priced option compared to a few other companies. I will use them in the future if pricing stays fair. Very simple to use. User friendly. Easy for me to process and receive payments. I think because it is so simplified that makes it easier to understand. Training options are just ok. I think anyone can use this service without a lot of training. It is helpful to have better training options should someone need them. Great value! The prices and low fee are the best. I've recommended this service to many others because of the low cost of doing business with them.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

They had amazing variety and I was able to accomplish everything I needed. I was surprised by the variety they offered to me and would love to do business with them again. They were super easy to work with and to use to accomplish my goals. It's wonderful and amazing to work with someone that's incredible and easy. They offered lots of training options and were able to help my staff reach their full potential and I encourage that everyone use them because you will get amazing results. The value is unbeatable and is a great way to save money and make all your dreams come true. You can beat the quality of service and it makes this an excellent value.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2016

TriNet got my name and address through LinkedIn. One of them previously worked at a company that I had participated in one of my seminars. Once I asked about this he acted like that is why he was calling. We scheduled a call. He asked for a pre-call. In the pre-call he was only interested in talking about his products that were of no interest to me. He hung up. I do not appreciate my LinkedIn account being used for cold calls.

Original review: July 28, 2016

If there is a negative star, I would give a negative star... It has always been a pain to deal with FSA dependent care reimbursement with TriNet. They declined my claim a few times asking for additional documents. Finally I got $5000 approved in total for this year for my son's pre-school expense. Since I got all $5000 approved, the reimbursement amount should be exactly the same as the contribution for each pay period. However, they messed it up for no reason since last month. For the June 30th pay period, my employer contributed $216 new money into the FSA account, the reimbursement check they mailed for that pay period only had $14 value in it!! I called TriNet a couple of times. They created a ticket for me, but didn't solve anything!!

For July 15th pay period, my employer again contributed $216 new money to my FSA account, I received nothing!! No reimbursement check at all!! But the "payment" amount on their website still "magically" matches the "contribution" amount! What an amazing way to STEAL people's money! I'm not sure if this is TriNet's business model - getting money from the employer and never reimburse it! I have to call them again tomorrow, I doubt if they can solve anything. If they don't reimburse and keep stealing money from me, I will have to sue the company to get it back!

Original review: May 10, 2016

I have been using TriNet for payroll processing and employee benefits for more than a year and to the moment customer services do not provide any customer services. I have to submit my requests several times before it's taken care of it. I suppose that having a company that takes care of benefits and HR would alleviate my work flow, but instead I have to be re-sending my requests several times and sometimes I even have to call and make sure that my request is being considered after emailing failed. The application is getting old as well and it's not intuitive, that's the reason I need customer support, otherwise I would take care of most of my requests on my own.

Original review: April 21, 2016

My employer uses Trinet and it is a disaster. TriNet employees do not know what they are talking about and you get shifted around and a lot of double-talk. The benefits they advise employers to provide are at a very low level and definitely not in the employee's best interests. Too much cutting corners on TriNet's part - probably to maximize their profit margins instead of focusing on providing quality service. Stay away from them.

Trinet expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1988 and headquartered in San Leandro, Calif., TriNet provides bundled HR solutions, cloud products and strategic services for over 13,000 clients across the country. They work with small and mid-sized businesses in a variety of industries, including entertainment, financial services, healthcare, technology, nonprofit and many more.

• Leadership training: Managers and supervisors need to be well-informed of best practices when it comes to compliance and other HR-related issues. TriNet’s leadership training and development workshops are designed to help company leaders build their company culture and understand compliance issues. Workshops take place at your company’s location or at a regional location.

• HR grader: Use TriNet’s HR grader tool to determine your company’s current HR status and find areas where your company needs improvement. This tool can help you figure out which of TriNet’s three bundled HR products will be most beneficial for you.

• International services: Companies that frequently hire international employees have to deal with a lot of additional headaches, such as visas, immigration and retention. TriNet International Services takes care of managing the immigration process on their cloud-based system, including visa and green card application and renewal.

• Career Transitions: TriNet’s Career Transitions service provides support and guidance for employees who have been terminated. This service demonstrates to your employees, both those who have been terminated and those still employed, that they are valued. It also minimizes the risk of adverse reactions by helping the terminated employee focus on their employment future instead of dwelling on the past.

• Best for: TriNet is best for small to mid-sized businesses.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs