3.9/5 (347 ratings)

About Avast Antivirus

Avast Antivirus Software provides protection for your devices from viruses, malware and other potential internet threats. Avast is known for offering features you don’t often find in a free program, including a Wi-Fi network scanner, a password manager and a gaming mode.

Pros

• Password manager
  • Customizable protection
  • Free product is robust

Cons

• Previously sold user data
  • Can slow your device

Bottom Line

Avast Antivirus Software provides both free and premium protection against risks to your devices. The free version is pretty thorough, but the paid version adds many useful features.

Avast Antivirus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avast Antivirus?

Original review: June 14, 2021

They are really good but there are better companies out there. They have a huge menu of many things like location tracker, password protection, adware problems, etc. I would recommend at least a trial version

Original review: June 11, 2021

Excellent protection at no cost. Instant notification of blocked virus and malware. Continual updates. Been using it for years on several devices, first software to install. Recommend without hesitation.

Original review: June 3, 2021

Avast first billed us on an active credit card we no longer use anymore. We went ahead and paid it, but then was charged 74 dollars again on a different credit card. We then were charged 96 dollars the next day on the same credit card. We would not have purchased anything as we were out of town. When trying to contact them the phone hung up on us before getting a live person each time we called.

Original review: April 14, 2021

Avast deducted $49.99 from my account without my Knowledge, noticing this I filed for a refund on March 31st 2021. They said they'll refund on or before 7 working days, until today Nothing has happened, No refunds & no communication, 14/04/2021, I am very very disappointed with AVAST.

Original review: April 9, 2021

Someone filed unemployment benefits in my name while having this software. It's unreliable and expensive. You'll still have issues even though you subscribe to the service. You're charged another good chunk of change when you call to get your issues fixed, but they tell you on the phone they can give you a deal and take some of the expense off. It's all a sales pitch. Even after you have been paying for protection, you will see things on your screen like you can get battery improvement or have an even more in depth cleaning of your computer if you pay more. There are other add on charges as well which just nickels and dimes you. Many of the technicians are hard to understand when you call for help, and since Avast is not based here, you will be charged an international fee in addition to what you already pay.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I had an Avast account for some years now and I subscribe to a couple of products. The last renewal is a really bad experience for me specifically with the technical support. The Customer support agents don't have a clue about their software and they repeat to me solutions that they have on their website without resolving my issue. The only thing that they repeat is "Thank you for your patience", "Give me a couple of minutes" and in the end, they don't solve the problem. They want to remotely fix the problem but I don't let them do that if they don't have a clue about my issue. Still at this moment didn't resolve my issue. One thing that others reported in their reviews is that I have multiple licenses for the same product. That's a scam and I will notify my credit card to report like that. Technical Support is not helpful at all. PLEASE READ ALL THE REVIEWS BEFORE YOU BUY. I AM LOOKING FOR ALTERNATIVES...

Original review: March 5, 2021

Avast made an unauthorized charge on my credit card. I had an acct with them years ago that was cancelled. They kept my credit card info and charged my card $74.63 that was unauthorized. This is theft. This is what this company does, Uses past customers that no longer have an account and use their credit card to take money out of people's credit card. I’m glad I found it this year. I don’t know if I missed other charges before. Buyer Beware.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

I have used the Avast in the past and I don't know that it's any better than the rest but I have uninstalled all of their products off of all three of my devices. I had antivirus and they also clean your devices. I haven't used them in probably a year or longer. I just got a warning from my Gmail account telling me AVAST was wanting to access my Google Drive. How could they? They're not even on my devices? Anyway that worried me quite a bit. I contacted Google and changed my passwords but it still concerns me.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

I've had the paid Avast Premium software for a number of years. When I upgraded my computer and Windows to the latest products, Avast crashed my computer every day with the dreaded blue screen. I know it was Avast as I uninstalled their software for several months several times. It's easy to tell: when Avast is installed... Crash every day; when Avast is removed...no crashes of any kind!

So I contacted Tech Support in mid-December, they didn't reply until the end of the month and their solution completely crashed my entire operating system! I had to restore to a previous version of Windows! I wrote to them again, it took them two more weeks to respond and once again gave me a cryptic answer, no solution, no help whatsoever! So, I uninstalled the program for the 4th time, no crashes, no blue screen, no problems, I'm using Malware Bytes and Windows 10 Defender instead. Smooth as glass! Stay away from this software! Avast may have been good years ago, but now it's a mess!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

Avast continues to charge us for duplicate services and to charge services to our credit card without our authorization. In order to request a refund, you have to go through a complex form online; they do not publish their phone number. They do not seem to publish an email address for support. In general, a terrible company to do business with.

Avast Antivirus Company Information